- Text Size +

CHAPTER 1 – PLANS ARE AFOOT

 

DINER – TUESDAY MORNING

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m waiting for Emmett to turn up.  I’ve been waiting for the last 20 minutes.  I’m slightly pissed off because Brian was supposed to come for breakfast too but he had a client meeting at Kinnetic so he and Ted are there instead.

 

“Hi-hi!”  Emmett’s voice cuts through my thoughts.  “How are you this morning?  Ooh Debs a breakfast special please?!”

 

“Be right there!”  Ma calls back.

 

“So how are you?”  Emmett removes his fedora and places it reverentially on the seat next to him.  “Are you feeling as neglected as I am?”

 

“Neglected?”  I look at him confused.

 

“Yeah, we’ve not seen Brian and Ted for ages.  No matter what we arrange, they put Kinnetic first.”  He sighs.  “Happily, they’re meeting us on Thursday at Woody’s…”

 

“We’re meeting then?”  My frown deepens.  “I didn’t know that.”

 

“Yes at seven and this time they promised.”  He replied sipping his coffee.

 

“Sorry, wait start again... who promised what?”  I demand.

 

He cocks his head and raises an eyebrow.  “I shall let that one pass because you are obviously missing your bestie as much as I am.  So to recap…a week or so ago, Brian and Ted promised on the memory of Marilyn Monroe to be there at seven on Thursday…”

 

“Emmett…”  I sigh.  “I don’t understand the drama. Brian and Ted are busy men and unlike you, I know this and understand.”

 

Emmett slowly puts his cup down and rests his chin on his hand.  “So it wasn’t you bitching in Babylon last Friday because Brian had to go to Vancouver last minute?”

 

I sit back and fold my arms in annoyance.  “I wasn’t bitching!  I just didn’t understand why he couldn’t take me with him…”

 

“Because he would be working.”  Ma interrupts our conversation putting Emmett’s plate down and earning his clapping-fucking-seal impression.  “He’s been working so hard these last few months. I’m so proud of him, how he’s made Kinnetic into what it is.”

 

Emmett nods while chewing.  “The boys need a break though!  I don’t think they have had…”

 

“Hey Debs, can I put this poster up?”  Marcel from Woody’s interrupts our conversation.

 

“Sure honey, what is it?”  Ma asks, taking it from him.  “Ooh a prize draw for a…are you fucking with me?!”

 

“Ma, what is it?”

 

“How the hell did you manage that Marcel?!”  She lays the poster on the table.

 

“Nothing to do with me.”  He laughs.  “This is everything to do with VanGuard Advertising.”

 

“Those bastards who fired Brian?!”  Ma bridles, going to hand the poster back with a look of disgust.

 

“Ma, it was years ago!  Brian is over it! You should let it go too.  Besides look at where he is now!”  I object.

 

“Yeah…I suppose.  Okay.  Put it up.”

 

“Thanks Debs.”   He heads to the counter for pins, puts it up and is gone.

 

“So... what is the prize?”  Emmett asks, who was too busy checking his phone and eating to pay attention.

 

“A month long cruise on the Seabird Cruise Ship for two.  All expenses paid.”

 

“What do you need to do?!”  Emmett squeals.

 

“Business card in the jar on the counter in…”

 

“Debs!  Order up!”

 

Ma plasters on her best glare and stomps to the hatch.

 

“Well Sweetums, I have an appointment across town.”  Emmett stands up.  “See you later, perhaps?”

 

“Yeah okay.”  I reply, waving him away with a scowl on my face.

 

“I’m not something you’ve stepped in Michael!  Don’t do that!”  He hisses at me and stalks off.

 

“Ouch Ma!”  I yelp as her hand connects with the back of my head.  “What the fuck?!”

 

“You were rude to Emmett!”  She sits down opposite me.  “And shouldn’t you be in the store?”  She looks at me meaningfully.

 

“Ma, I open late on a Wednesday.”  I reply folding my arms.

 

“It’s Tuesday Michael.  So get your ass out of here and earn a living!”

 

I get up and make my way to the store.

 

RED CAPE COMICS

 

NATHAN

 

I couldn’t understand how the man makes so little money in this store but it looks the way it does. But then I found out he’s the best friend of Brian Kinney, so I guess he’s had something to do with it.

 

The door heralds the return of the bestie. Seriously, the way he lords it over me is irritating but he pays well.

 

“How’s it been?”  He asks.

 

“Okay.  Since you’re back, I can do the stock intake spreadsheet while you…”

 

“No I’ll do the spreadsheet and you deal with the customers.”  He interrupts sharply and stalks upstairs.

 

Oh well back to World of Warcraft.

 

OFFICE

 

MICHAEL

 

The back of my head is still throbbing slightly.  Both Emmett and Ma overreacted to what I did and said.  I sit down and go through the spreadsheet.  My mind drifts to the conversation about Brian needing a break and suddenly an idea hits me.

 

WOODY’S BAR

 

OFFICE

 

MARCEL

 

“Woody’s this is Marcel.  Oh hi.  Uh yeah.  You want me to do what?  So what’s in it for me?  Make it $200 and I’ll make it happen.  Half now; half after.  Fine.”

 

I put the phone down and chuckle.  Well at least the rest of us get a chance!  Even tired he’s still the Stud of the Avenue.

 

KINNETIC – THURSDAY EVENING

 

BRIAN’S OFFICE

 

BRIAN

 

Ted and I exchange tired looks. We have signed another client and we’re heading to meet the boys.

 

“Did we actually promise to do this?”  Ted grumbles.  “I mean, is it written in blood somewhere?”

 

I help him into his coat.  “We don’t have to have it written in blood. We have it written in memory of Marilyn Monroe and we can’t break that.”

 

“Marilyn…you had to say that?!”  He shakes his head.  “Come on let’s go.”

 

WOODY’S

 

MARCEL

 

The place is crammed as it’s the draw tonight.  I have $100 burning in my pocket and although it’s tempting to give him a bit of a slap, I’ve seen Kinney around. Although the guy is a consummate asshole, he’s an honest one.

 

But I admire him for another reason, he works fucking hard and makes sure that the people he cares about are looked after.  I’m not sure that Debs knows that he owns the diner.

 

“Attention people!  The Seabird Cruise Prize Draw will take place in 30 minutes!”

 

There is whooping and cheering and Michael and I exchange knowing looks.  Kinney and Ted come in and head to their table.

 

MICHAEL

 

“You made it!”  I hug Brian tightly and smile at Ted.

 

“I’m feeling the love Michael, feeling the love!”  Ted mutters but then he is swept into Emmett’s arms.

 

“Teddy!”  He grins at him and then tips up his chin.  “Oooh you look like you need about 10 years sleep!”  He turns to Brian.  “And as for you…”

 

“Finish that sentence and die Honeycutt!”  Brian snaps.

 

“Ooh grumpy big bad!  And don’t call me Honeycutt!  I think drinkies are called for.  Come along Michael, let’s let them get settled. So Beam and Perrier for you Teddy?”

 

“Can’t you take Ted?”  I ask.

 

“No I can’t Michael!  Now come!”      

 

By the time we muscle our way to the bar, it has taken about 10 minutes.  “Emmett…”

 

Emmett stops me with a glare.  “Brian is here.  Just let him decompress for a minute or two for fuck’s sake!”

 

EMMETT

 

I look at the sulky expression on Michael’s face and at first I think he’s going to stomp back to the table.

 

“You’re up Emmett.”  He growls.  “Let’s just order.”

 

“Fine.  Marcel sweetie, can we have a Cosmo, a beer, Perrier and a…yes, a double Beam please?”

 

“Sure no problem. You guys go sit and I’ll bring it in a few.”

 

Michael almost breaks into a run.  I just shake my head and Marcel laughs.

 

BRIAN

 

I am this close to going home to sleep!  I am so tired!  When Marcel comes to the table with the drinks, I actually take my time because I know if I neck it back, I will be out cold in seconds!

 

“So Michael, Emmy what have you been up to today?”  I ask.

 

“Well…”  Emmy starts but is cut off immediately.

 

“I did inventory and…”  Michael interrupts but I’m too tired to roll my eyes so I just stare ahead.

 

“Attention everyone, the drawing for the cruise is about to take place!”  Marcel yells and the bar goes quiet.  He fishes around in the bowl and after another minute, he grins.  “And the winner is Brian Kinney!”

 

“Brian you won!”  Michael is shouting at me.

 

“Won what?”  I don’t remember entering a prize draw.

 

“A month long cruise for two!  We are going to have an excellent time; I can’t wait!”

 

“What?!”  Ted and I yell at the same time.

 

KINNETIC – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

CYNTHIA’S OFFICE

 

CYNTHIA

 

I look through the paperwork for the cruise and it looks excellent.  I have to admit to being a bit jealous.  Brian swears he didn’t enter a draw but they say they have his card.  To be honest, I think it’s a great idea that he goes away.  I don’t think he’s had time off in the last 4 years.

 

I hear the tapping that can only mean one thing…Ted.

 

“Come in.”

 

“Tell me there’s no way he can get out of this?!”

 

“They can re-draw the prize but I’m going to tell him he can’t get out of it.”

 

“Oh thank you!  Thank you!”

 

He virtually skips back to his office.

 

DEB’S HOUSE – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

 

LOUNGE

 

DEBS

 

“Kiddo.  Brian.  Wake up!”  I whisper, he doesn’t move so I shake him.  He opens his eyes, and adjusts a dozing Gus.  “Come on you two let’s eat.”

 

He gently wakes Gus up, who clings sleepily onto him.  Vic sighs heavily. He, like me, is worried about him.

 

“So this cruise you’ve won...  Please tell me you’re taking it?”  He asks.

 

“Yeah.  Time off on his dime while we are doing so well and he’s sinking is a good idea and ironic in a way.”

 

“Good.  Now where is it going?  I’m so jealous.”  Mel asks, taking Gus’s off him but then he sleepily grumbles so she hands him back.

 

Now there is another revelation.  The friendship between Brian and Mel has grown now that Lindsay is no longer in the picture.  She wanted another baby with Brian.  But he said only if he got his rights back for Gus and kept his rights for the next baby would he do that.  Lindsay was furious.  She was even angrier when Mel said she wanted to carry the next baby and when Brian said okay, I didn’t think it was possible for a person to go that colour.  For months, nothing happened and at first Mel thought it was something to do with her endometriosis coming back.

 

Then one night she and Brian got drunk while they were waiting for Lindsay to come home.  They decided to do it themselves and he jizzed into a cup and two months later, she’s pregnant.   After previous failures, Lindsay accused Mel of cheating on her and demanded that she have an abortion. In the ensuing row, it came out what she was doing, or not doing as the case turned out to be.  The shady bitch wasn’t actually inseminating Mel but injecting Brian’s seed into the mattress guaranteeing that if she wasn’t going to carry Brian’s next child, neither was Mel.  Well that was it for Mel and Brian.  Now they’re bringing Gus up together and will do the same with the new baby.  As for Lindsay, well she turned out to be the one cheating again and with Sam Auerbach, no less. She gave up her rights and now she’s with him.

 

“All round the Caribbean.”  Ted grins.  “A whole month of sun, sea and sex.  It’s a gay, but family friendly, cruise ship.  Just think Kinney, all those men and you nearly naked.”

 

“Us.”  Brian smirks and then feeds Gus from his plate.

 

“Pardon?”  Ted gapes.

 

“What?”  Michael looks around.  “What do you mean?  The tickets are for two.  I was looking forward to it.”

 

“And you still can.  It’s just that Kinnetic is busy and I have a couple of campaigns that I am working on that really need our input.  And Ted also needs a break, so you are coming with me…”

 

“Oh.”  Ems sighs sadly.

 

“Emmy, you’re coming too.  I have my best friend so naturally Ted has to have his.”

 

“Really?!  Are you serious?!”  Ems squeals.

 

“And Mel I would take you too but there’s the little matter…”

 

She waves it away with a smile.  “Why not take Vic?”

 

“What a great idea!”  I cry.  “Please Brian, take him with you!”

 

“Oh no I couldn’t.  This old man on a boat with all those young pretty things…”

 

“So that’s a yes, then?”  Brian grins, his eyes dancing. Now he doesn’t look tired; he looks excited.

 

“Vic come on!  Go!”  Mel orders.  “Debs and I will woman the fort.  You know you want to.”

 

“Daddy?”  Gus looks up at him.  “Are you going away for a long time?”

 

“Yes Sonny Boy. There are a lot of sleeps between the time we leave until the time we come back.”

 

His bottom lip starts to wobble.  “So I won’t see you for a long time?”

 

“Yes of course you will.”  He smiles and I frown.

 

“How?”

 

“Well you, grandma and Momma will be in Britin while we’re away.  And we can FaceTime once a week.”

 

“Really daddy?!”  He bounces on his lap.  “I can sleep in my big-big room?”

 

“Yes really Sonny Boy.  Now go sit with Momma.  I need to call Cynthia to book another suite.”

 

He strides into the lounge and although Ted looks exasperated, there is a bit of relief in his face.  Vic and Ems are chattering about the cruise having pulled it up on his iPad but it’s the look on Michael’s face that gives me pause.

 

“Okay I need to clear up.  You guys go in the lounge.  Michael, can you give me a hand?”

 

KITCHEN

 

“What’s wrong Michael?”  I nudge him with my hip.

 

“I just wanted it to be Brian and me.  I don’t see why everyone else has to come too.”

 

I sigh and put down the dish I’m washing.  “And why should it just be you and Brian?  This is a Good Ship FuckFest not the Love Boat.  Besides, I thought you were a little high handed to automatically assume that Brian would be taking you.”

 

“I’m his best friend!  Who else would he take?!”  He snaps and storms out the back door.

 

GARDEN

 

MICHAEL

 

I can’t believe virtually everyone is coming and that Mel and Ma are staying at Britin.  I haven’t stayed overnight there yet!  But I didn’t drop $200 to get Brian on this cruise for my chance to convince him that it’s time for the Brian and Mikey show to move from PG to Rated R, only to see it wasted!

 

I’ve waited long enough.  Brian Kinney will be mine and mine alone!

 

MEL’S HOUSE – THREE DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE

 

LOUNGE

 

MEL

 

“Hey it’s me.  He’s gone very quiet again.  I know I know but the closer it gets… Can you come over?”

 

I look at our son. He’s said he’s fine with his daddy going away for a month but I know he’s not.  He’s only 4 and with Lindsay gone, it must be confusing for him.

 

“Momma.  Are you double sure we can speak to daddy every week?”

 

“Yes I’m double sure.”  I scoop him up so he sits next to me.

 

“Could we maybe speak every two days?”  He looks so hopeful and my heart breaks a bit.

 

“Um…”

 

The arrival of Brian interrupts us and he’s chattering on the phone.  “It’s done, yeah another two thanks Cyn, and next to me, no I promise 50% bonus. You’ve more than earned it.”

 

As per usual, when daddy is on the phone Gus waits until it goes in his pocket to barrel into him.

 

“Daddy!”  He shrieks, flying full pelt into Brian’s arms.  “You’re here!  I’m so happy!”

 

“I’m happy too Sonny Boy.”  He blows a raspberry on his neck then sits next to me.  “Momma tells me that you’re upset about me going on holiday soon.  Is that right?”

 

My eyes fill with tears as it takes every ounce of strength in his little body to be a big boy and not cry.

 

“We-well I am going to miss you lots and…and I would really like to speak to you every day and…”

 

“So you only want to speak to me, you don’t want to see me?”  There is something in Brian’s voice that gets my attention and I sniff.

 

“Momma, shall I get you a tissue?”  Gus asks, squirming off the sofa to get the box.

 

“Th-thank you Gus.”

 

“So you don’t want to see me Sonny Boy?”  Brian tries again.

 

“Of course daddy!  So we’re going to FaceTime every day?”

 

“Not quite.”  He grins.

 

“But if we don’t FaceTime, then how do I see you?”  Gus frowns and then falls silent and the moment he realises, he screams the place down.  “Really daddy?!  Really?!  I’m going with you?!”

 

“Yes you and Momma are coming with me as well as grandma and…uh Gus, where are you going?!”

 

“To pack daddy!  Momma come help!”  He yells as he disappears up the stairs.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.