- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kudos to Brandi111 for getting me through the courtroom scene...xxx

CHAPTER 86 - STUPIDITY AND ARROGANCE…

 

 

 

FEDERAL WOMEN’S PRISON - 3 WEEKS LATER, MONDAY MID-MORNING

 

 

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2

 

 

 

ELIZABETH TRENCH, LINDSAY’S ATTORNEY

 

 

 

I sit back and look through the papers again. The door opening brings in Lil Miss Entitled. I wait for her to tuck her hair behind her ear and look through her lashes at me.

 

 

 

“How have you been, Elizabeth?”

 

 

 

“A lot better than you. At least, I get to leave this place.” She nods sadly. “So, this week is the start of the trial and I take it you’ve not been watching the news?” Again, a sad head shake. “A shame since at least you would’ve seen Christopher Hobbs’ press conference.”

 

 

 

“His what? How is he allowed to do that? He’s Michael’s accomplice!”

 

 

 

“Right now the authorities don’t think so, but that might change.”

 

 

 

“So what did he say about this?” She demands sniffily.

 

 

 

“He came out and outed his father in the process.” Her jaw drops. “So, we’re going to call him as a witness and press him on that. We also have an issue about the contact between the three of you…”

 

 

 

“I never contacted Chris Hobbs!”

 

 

 

“Again, puppet master, you did...twice. This can’t be disputed by us because of the security cameras that are installed within his residence. While there is no sound, the footage clearly shows you are both there without coercion. How do you suggest we explain that away?”

 

 

 

“The first time, I was intoxicated…”

 

 

 

“And the second time?”

 

 

 

“That was all Michael. We had...oh wait! It was just after we had been served papers revoking our rights to our children, and then being forcibly ejected from our home. I sank into a deep depression as we also had restraining orders issued, meaning we had to move out of the state.”

 

 

 

“Yes, the restraining orders. You’ve amassed a few before the big one. Why was that?”

 

 

 

“It wasn’t a few!” She bridles. “It was 2, both unfairly issued…”

 

 

 

“Why did you both follow Justin Taylor-Kinney around the country?”

 

 

 

“Why are you asking me those questions? They’re…”

 

 

 

“Because the prosecution is going to build a case against you based on your behaviour towards the Taylor-Kinneys in the time leading up to the kidnap attempt. And while Novotny was a lot worse than you…”

 

 

 

“See that proves…”

 

 

 

“That you are better at hiding in plain sight, Ms Chameleon.” I snap. “Do you own a laptop, other than the one that was seized at the time of your arrest?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” She frowns and then twists her lip in a mocking sneer. “Why?”

 

 

 

“You need to tell me where it is so that the prosecution can have it checked.”

 

 

 

“Again, why?”

 

 

 

“Because this court order says so.” I slap it down in front of her, just about hiding my glee.

 

 

 

“But it has private things on it…” She blenches.

 

 

 

“I will be present when they access it. So where is it? And I need you to provide me with the login details, including the correct password.” With a slight shake to her hand, she gives me the information I need. “Lindsay, I warn you against trying to delay access as you will be charged with contempt and the prosecution will make hay out of it.”

 

 

 

She takes the paper back and I smirk on the inside. Checkmate, Bitch!

 

 

 

FEDERAL MEN'S’ PRISON - SAME TIME

 

 

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 3

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

“He has done what?” I cannot believe this!

 

 

 

“Come out and given an honest answer as to why he attacked Justin Taylor-Kinney at the prom.”

 

 

 

“And why was that?” I sneer.

 

 

 

“Fear and jealousy. He was fearful that Justin would repeat what he’d said on Liberty Avenue about the handjob at school, and jealous that Justin was doing what he wanted - what Chris couldn't - at his prom.”

 

 

 

“Bet daddy loved that!” I smirk.

 

 

 

“He also posthumously outed his father, so there’s not much he can say or do about it. But that presents you two with a problem.” Casper retorts, sharply. “It doesn’t look like the authorities believe that he was the main instigator in this. You have to prove that he…”

 

 

 

“He was stalking him! We watched…”

 

 

 

“Who was stalking whom and what…” He interrupts, rubbing his temples.

 

 

 

“Chris Hobbs was stalking Boy Wonder. We watched him do it, but only the once at Britin.”

 

 

 

“How did he get the Taylor-Kinneys’ address? And why didn’t you stop him from causing Justin and Brian emotional distress?”

 

 

 

“I don’t know where he got the address from; you’d have to ask him. Also, he wasn’t stalking Brian so how could he be emotionally distressed?” I sneer the last two words. As if Brian would let how Boy Wonder feels bother him... “Besides, he’d attacked before, so he may have attacked us if we tried to stop him.”

 

 

 

“But you never went to the authorities with this information either.”

 

 

 

CASPER FIELDMAN, MICHAEL’S ATTORNEY

 

 

 

I wait for him to come up with a plausible, or even a ridiculous excuse, but all he does is shrug. Shrug?!!

 

 

 

“Can you explain the restraining orders that were brought against you?”

 

 

 

“You would have to ask Melanie Marcus about them. She issued them.”

 

 

 

“At the behest of both Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney. In fact, there seems to be a few writs issued against you in connection with a publication called Rage as well.”

 

 

 

He glares at me before leaning forward... well as much as he can with his handcuffs impeding him, and giving me what is supposed to be a glare. It’s not intimidating in the least, and makes him just look constipated. “Not a publication! A comic, an adult comic! I was the person who was…”

 

 

 

“Bought out of the partnership, but still tried to profit from it? Two cease and desist orders were issued and you were banned from the Pittsburgh film set at one point. You entered into a very public online war of words with Justin Taylor-Kinney. Do you have any idea how that will look to the jury?”

 

 

 

“That I was just trying to get what was my due! I created it, I…”

 

 

 

Stalking. It looks like stalking and rank opportunism! Now with regards to your daughter, your rights have been removed, correct?”

 

 

 

“Yes, and I did try and appeal but they ruled against me...I mean us. Both Lindsay and I lost our rights.”

 

 

 

“Not turning up at court is not losing; it’s called not caring. I’m curious as to why you didn’t try and take your daughter at the same time as the other children.”

 

 

 

“See that’s the key word right there... take, not kidnap!”

 

 

 

“How many times between the time you were evicted from your property in Pittsburgh until the kidnap attempt, did you contact Melanie Marcus to ask about your daughter?”

 

 

 

“I didn’t. Our rights were revoked, remember?” He taps the paper in front of me to make his point.

 

 

 

“So was Ms Peterson’s, but she tried to find out how he was doing without her.”

 

 

 

He frowns. “I didn’t know that. I’m not sure why she would do that and not tell me.”

 

 

 

“Because you are the patsy in her game.” I tell him bluntly. “And a very malleable one, at that. Now, let’s continue.”

 

 

 

RUTH’S CONDO - WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

 

 

LOUNGE

 

 

 

GARY

 

 

 

“I see.” I stare at my little britches of a sister and my mom. “So that’s why I was suddenly needed in New York and New Orleans, was it?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” Ruth replies, setting her jaw - a habit she has picked up from mom.

 

 

 

“I see. And that’s it? You’ve told me everything?”

 

 

 

“Yes, Gary, we have told you everything. They were never in any danger, not with Jules and the FBI watching them.” Mom takes my hand and Arno looks at me pleading for understanding.

 

 

 

“What would you have done if you had known sooner?” Mom asks.

 

 

 

“The question should be what I am going to do later.” I reply darkly and get up. “I’m taking F&F for a walk. Be back in a couple of hours.”

 

 

 

They don’t say a word.

 

 

 

ARNO

 

 

 

“On a scale of one to ten, where is he right now?”

 

 

 

“A million.” Gilly replies with an evil grin.

 

 

 

TAYLOR-KINNEY ENTERPRISES HQ - AFTERNOON

 

 

 

OFFICE

 

 

 

BRIAN

 

 

 

I look across at my husband and chuckle. He’s been proofreading the graphic novel since this morning and judging by the wriggling, he’s gotten to a good bit.

 

 

 

“You’re wriggling. So who is doing what to whom?” I ask, smirking.

 

 

 

“Am I?” He replies, completely engrossed in what he’s reading.

 

 

 

“Yep. In fact, you’ve gone a little pink. Do you want some water?”

 

 

 

“No uh…” He turns his head and then the book itself. “How on earth...?” He mutters.

 

 

 

I get up and slowly cross the room to lock the office door then close the blinds. Ginny looks up, and with a grin, waves her goodbyes! I head back to my desk and wait for him to notice that the room has gotten darker. There is a fine sheen of sweat on his upper lip, and the way his tongue is flickering like a snake’s between his teeth is a new move...a very nice new move.

 

 

 

“Want to read it out to me?” I whisper and his head whips up. His beautiful blue eyes are dilated and he looks surprised to see me so close to him.

 

 

 

“Wha...oh no. Its fine, I-I can read it...why is it so dark in here?” His eyes drop to my hand as I reach across and wipe the sweat from his upper lip and suck it off my thumb.

 

 

 

“You have the sexiest philtrum I have ever seen.”

 

 

 

“Phil...ah, what?” He husks and allows me to take the book from his suddenly lax hands.

 

 

 

“Philtrum. It’s that dip between your nose and your plump Cupid’s bow.” I look at the page and smile. “Ah, I see. Well...for this position, it helps if you are the same height that Brains and Elvis are in this particular panel. But being slightly shorter also has its advantage...want to know what it is?”

 

 

 

“Yes.” His voice is barely above a whisper.

 

 

 

“Depth of penetration. If you’re the same height, it’s a shallower thrust, still good but not as intense. But with all the training they have been doing, he’s got the leg strength to do the squat-fuck. You see here that Brains is the receiver?” He just nods, his eyes glassy. “He has to brace himself against a very solid surface, like a wall, something definitely immovable, and Elvis also has to brace himself against something sturdy with his cock just inside. So when he goes up into his standing squat, Brains comes down into his air squat keeping his arms as parallel as he can. It’s a very intense work out and you, I mean, he has to be perfectly in synch…”

 

 

 

Mr Pitcher, less theory and more practice!” He purrs.

 

 

 

PETERSON RESIDENCE - EVENING

 

 

 

KITCHEN

 

 

 

RONALD

 

 

 

I hand Nancy a glass of wine and wait for her to reply. “I only ask because of the media attention that this has garnered.”

 

 

 

“I think we should go, just us though. But, what I don’t want is for her to think this is a show of support for her. She’s taken on that habit of seeing what she wants to see from that cretin she’s been in cahoots with.” She wrinkles up her nose in disgust.

 

 

 

“She’s always had it, but being with him brought it to the fore.” I check the steaks. “Do you want yours done a bit more?”

 

 

 

“Oh please, darling. Let me just check the fries. I blame Ruth wholeheartedly for this, you know.” I turn to look at her in horror. “No darling, no! The fries! I meant the fries! I was happy with my jacket potato with a vinaigrette dressing, but she just had to introduce us to straw fries and truffle salt! I’ll never be the same...” She shakes her head.

 

 

 

I chuckle in relief and agreement. “They are dangerously addictive, aren’t they? But back to the matter of the trial, Mel said that the jury’s been sworn in, and her attempts to plead emotional distress were already kicked out. They wanted the previous restraining orders to be sealed, but that was rejected too. So it’s a merry go round of they said vs he said.

 

 

 

“They said?” She queries, testing the fries and taking the plates out of the warmer.

 

 

 

“They are going to try blame Hobbs for it.”

 

 

 

“Oh, that is going to end so very badly.” She laughs so hard that she snorts wine up her nose. And I think that’s almost the cutest thing she’s ever done after all these years. The first was blushing at the new christening of diner dishes. A la coq indeed!

 

 

 

SUPREME COURT, PENNSYLVANIA - THURSDAY MORNING

 

 

 

OUTSIDE COURTROOM 1 - 10 MINUTES BEFORE START OF TRIAL

 

 

 

MICHAEL

 

 

 

I am surprised to see that Lindsay is back to being blonde. I turn to Casper. “I didn’t know you can get your hair dyed in prison. Is that just a woman thing or can I change my hair back, too?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, that’s exactly what happened.” Someone snickers.

 

 

 

I look at Casper, who is just staring at me. “What?”

 

 

 

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

 

 

DA GERALDINE GRANGER, PROSECUTING COUNSEL

 

 

 

“Members of the jury, you have heard the opening remarks. We will now see the evidence gathered by the intelligence agency and other sources. This will prove, that not only was this a calculated and cunning act on behalf of Lindsay Peterson and Michael Devore, previously known as Michael Novotny, but also that Lindsay Peterson had duplicitous intentions against her own partner in crime. It was only by the timely intervention of special services that this plan was thwarted. I call to the stand Detective Carl Horvath.” The looks on their faces are priceless. I wait for him to be sworn in and get comfortable. “Detective Horvath, what is your relationship to the defendants?”

 

 

 

“There isn’t one anymore. However, he was the father of my granddaughter Gumdrop...I mean Jenny Rebecca, and she was the mother of Gus, before their rights were removed.”

 

 

 

“Thank you. And how did that come to be?”

 

 

 

“He virtually abandoned Jenny Rebecca, and they both contacted Christopher Hobbs. So the other parents sought to have them removed for safety reasons, and that was done.”

 

 

 

“How did you find out about them contacting Mr Hobbs?”

 

 

 

“Two ways. The first time, her mother told us about the contact. Then later, he came to the precinct specifically to speak to me after the second time they arrived at his home.”

 

 

 

“Who is he?”

 

 

 

“Christopher Hobbs.”

 

 

 

This gets the reaction they don’t want.

 

 

 

“Were you surprised by this?”

 

 

 

“Yes. Considering who he is and what he did, I was very surprised.”

 

 

 

“When he provided you with the information, what did you do with it? By that I mean, why did you believe him?”

 

 

 

“Because he said that the second time they were sober.”

 

 

 

“Care to elaborate on that?”

 

 

 

“The first time they went to see him, they were both drunk so it was easier to disregard the threat they posed.”

 

 

 

“I see. You said that Ms Peterson’s mother found out about this. Can you tell us how she found out?”

 

 

 

“She was told by her eldest daughter, after Chris Hobbs contacted his former mother-in-law to accuse her of testing him.”

 

 

 

“In what way was she testing him?”

 

 

 

“Objection! Relevance!” Elizabeth calls out.

 

 

 

“Your honour, if I am allowed to finish, it will become clear.”

 

 

 

“Overruled. Be quick, counsel.”

 

 

 

“Continue, detective.”

 

 

 

“The defendants on their first visit, told him… Chris Hobbs I mean, that Justin Taylor-Kinney had caused the breakup of his marriage by telling his then wife that he had gone to the prom with the intention of doing harm to Justin. Which was in direct counterpoint to what she had been led to believe, as the bat was already in his car.” I indicate he should continue. “As I said, he called his ex-mother-in-law, and she asked him to describe the people. She recognised the description of Ms Lindsay Peterson, and told her sister, Lynette. Lynette then told Ms Peterson’s mother.”

 

 

 

“Your witness, right to recall.”

 

 

 

Casper stands up and they both look smug, but it’s the expression on Elizabeth’s face which intrigues me. “Given their previous history, wouldn’t it be reasonable to assume that Hobbs was making this up? And that he planned this entire thing while my client was just an unwitting pawn in his game?”

 

 

 

“No. There hasn’t been any contact between Chris Hobbs and the Taylor-Kinneys in some years. It didn’t make sense for him to suddenly decide to do this now.”

 

 

 

“Maybe he was waiting for the right moment to strike?”

 

 

 

“Again, no. The threat came from his former mother-in-law, not Brian or Justin Taylor-Kinney.”

 

 

 

“Threat? His former mother in law threatened him?”

 

 

 

“Yes, she did. She came to the station to confirm it after he spoke with us. She told him that if anything happened to either her daughter or Justin Taylor-Kinney, she would find someone to finish off the job that Brian did with the bat on the night of the prom.”

 

 

 

There is a ripple of laughter and I catch Finch schooling his features, quickly.

 

 

 

“So why go to the FBI with his alleged concerns?”

 

 

 

“Because of their previous behaviours, especially in regards to Mr Devore. He was particularly vicious towards Justin.”

 

 

 

“In what way was he vicious?”

 

 

 

“In his words and actions; forever trying to interfere in the relationship between Brian and Justin. The defendants had the car service the Taylor-Kinneys were using followed around via a private investigator to find out their whereabouts at any given time.”

 

 

 

“Car service? What service is this?”

 

 

 

“It was AngelCars owned by Ruth Masterson, the mother of the three children they almost succeeded in kidnapping. Again, the private eye they hired has written a sworn statement and provided evidence to support it.”

 

 

 

I see both Elizabeth and Casper stiffen, then watch the jury.

 

 

 

“Anything else?”

 

 

 

“There was what Mr Devore said about Justin’s attack and how he lied about it for years, saying he said and meant something else, while making Brian Taylor-Kinney look a bully in the eyes of the family.”

 

 

 

“Which was?” I can hear the dread in his voice.

 

 

 

“That Brian should’ve left Justin to die in the garage.” Detective Horvath squeaks out before clearing his throat and repeating it strongly.

 

 

 

Of all the reactions I expected, stunned silence wasn’t it. It takes Casper a few minutes to speak. “You’re certain that those were his exact words?”

 

 

 

“Yeah, and he said that to his best friend.” Carl growls. “So you can imagine the shit he said to Justin.”

 

 

 

Casper turns to Elizabeth. “Your witness.” He sits down next to Devore without a word and ignores his attempts to talk to him.

 

 

 

“No questions. Your witness.”

 

 

 

I note her sharp tone and the surprise on Peterson’s face. I cross the court to the stand. “So, Detective Horvath, tell me. Between the first time the defendants went to see Mr Hobbs and the time he came to see you, what did they do?”

 

 

 

“You’d have to ask them. They were being distanced from the family, again through their own actions.”

 

 

 

“How so?”

 

 

 

“Ms Peterson kept trying to interfere in Justin’s career. Mr Devore constantly tried to worm his way back into Rage and she denigrated Ruth Masterson at every given opportunity, though she was bested on several occasions, of course.” He smiles. “And with very little effort.”

 

 

 

“I see. So at no point did they contact the family, as you put it, to tell them what they had done with regards to Hobbs?”

 

 

 

“No. For once, they kept a low profile, but then we found out why. And no, they didn’t apologise either. They tried to justify their behaviour by saying they were drunk.”

 

 

 

“The place they were living in, who owns it?”

 

 

 

There are murmurs of confusion at my change intact.

 

 

 

“It is owned by Gilda Masterson, she’s Ruth’s mother.”

 

 

 

“Why were they removed?”

 

 

 

“Because of what they did with Chris Hobbs. At the same time, Mrs Horvath and Nancy Peterson disowned them and the papers were issued for the revocation of her rights and the restraining orders, barring them from being anywhere near Brian or Justin Taylor-Kinney.”

 

 

 

More murmurings.

 

 

 

“I thought that was already the case?”

 

 

 

“No. At the time, they were only banned from businesses and residences they owned personally. But there was one place that they were allowed to be in at the same time and that was our home, as in my wife and I, and that was only because of Gus.”

 

 

 

“Hmm. No further questions. Right to recall.”

 

 

 

“No questions, your honour.” Casper sighs.

 

 

 

“No questions, your honour.” Elizabeth is gimlet eyed.

 

 

 

“You may stand down, Detective Horvath.” Judge Finch says and with a nod he rejoins the family.

 

 

 

Okay, time to play!

 

 

 

“Your honour, my next witness has been delayed. I wonder if possible that we may take a recess at this point?”

 

 

 

He looks at his watch. “Yes, I think everyone could do with a break. Court is in recess for an hour.”

 

 

 

“All rise.”

 

 

 

AN HOUR LATER

 

 

 

CHRIS HOBBS

 

 

 

I feel sick to my stomach about being back in a courtroom again, but this time I am going to be telling the truth. When I got in, I was surprised to see that Brian and Justin were there. It seems that this is a surprise to the idiots too as they keep looking over at them, but Brian and Justin aren’t acknowledging them. That must chap their asses!

 

 

 

Pat has been great though. I was serious about whatever happening to me just simply happening, but he’s reassured me that I have nothing to worry about. I have already put the house on the market and am going to move away from Pittsburgh to hopefully, start a new life, where I am not that Christopher Mark Hobbs- gay basher.”

 

 

 

“I call to the stand Christopher Mark Hobbs.” DA Granger calls out and after I’m sworn in, she gives me a small smile.

 

 

 

DA GRANGER

 

 

 

“Mr Hobbs, the court has heard the testimony of Detective Horvath. Could you please give us your version of events?”

 

 

 

“The first time I was approached by the defendants was right after my marriage collapsed. They were intoxicated and told me that Justin Taylor, now Justin Taylor-Kinney, was responsible for the disintegration of my marriage. They then gave me his address to do with what I will. Those were Ms. Peterson’s exact words, but having been warned by my soon to be ex-mother-in-law, I thought this was a test and went to her to tell her. She told me that she hadn’t sent anyone and when I described them to her she told me to go home and she would deal with it.”

 

 

 

“What happened next?”

 

 

 

“Nothing for a while. I just got on with my life. Then they came to me again, but this time, they weren’t intoxicated. They were stone-cold sober and asked if I had done anything with the address they had given me. I said no, but then they tried to convince me that we all had something in common. The need for Justin to pay… They said that they wanted revenge on Justin because of the way he had ousted them from Kinney’s life. When they finished telling me what they had planned, which was for me to stalk Justin, I went straight to speak to Det. Carl Horvath and told him everything.”

 

 

 

“I draw the jury’s attention to Exhibit 1A, this is a mobile phone statement. Do you recognise the telephone number?”

 

 

 

“Yes I do.”

 

 

 

“Whose is it?”

 

 

 

“Mine.”

 

 

 

“I draw the jury’s attention to Exhibition 1B, this is a mobile phone statement for Michael Devore, there are several calls from your, admitted, telephone number to him. How do you explain them?”

 

 

 

“I can’t…”

 

 

 

I turn to look at the defense table and again there’s an air of smugness.

 

 

 

“Why not?”

 

 

 

“I never called them, but they did take my number.”

 

 

 

“When you say they?  Which one took it?”

 

 

 

“She did, but she put it on his phone. She said her battery was dead.”

 

 

 

“Ms Peterson took your number?”

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

“And then what?”

 

 

 

“They said they would contact me later.”

 

 

 

“And did they?”

 

 

 

“I assume so.”

 

 

 

“Assume? Surely you would know if your phone is ringing or not?”

 

 

 

“I didn’t have my phone.”

 

 

 

“Why not?”

 

 

 

“Once they left, I went straight to the authorities and was placed in witness protection in a safe house.”

 

 

 

“Witness protection?” Lindsay gasps.

 

 

 

“Silence!” Judge Finch demands.

 

 

 

“How long were you in there for? And did you ever leave?”

 

 

 

“About two months and yes I did leave.”

 

 

 

The relief on their faces is palpable.

 

 

 

“How many times?”

 

 

 

“Just once.”

 

 

 

“Your honour, his departure from the safe house is part of a connected but as yet to be heard trial in the matter of the State vs Craig Taylor, Judge Roy Russo and others. The details of which cannot be disclosed.”

 

 

 

“Duly noted. Continue DA Granger.”

 

 

 

“You mentioned earlier that you didn’t have your phone; if you didn’t have it who did?”

 

 

 

“The authorities. While I was in the safe house I wasn’t allowed any electronic equipment, I was guarded 24/7 and monitored via camera.”

 

 

 

“So who made the calls to Mr Devore?”

 

 

 

“You’d need to ask the authorities that.”

 

 

 

“No further questions. Right to recall. Your witness.”

 

 

 

“No questions.”

 

 

 

“You may step down.”

 

 

 

I walk back to my seat and feel the heated gaze of them on me.

 

 

 

“Wait a minute! So just who the fuck were we watching, if he was locked down Lindsay?!” Devore demands and Casper looks like he wants to cry!

 

 

 

“He’s lying! There is no way any of that bullshit is true!” Peterson screams.

 

 

 

“Ms Peterson. You will not stand at this point! Sit down!” Judge Finch orders, but stops the bailiff from approaching.

 

 

 

“Wait give me a minute! I need to think!” She shakes her head as if to clear it before looking up at the judge. “Your honour, surely you can see that I have the lineage, despite her apparent wealth! With Brian at my side, I would’ve had the money and the connections to take the girls from being potential ghetto queens and trailer trash. I would’ve turned them into the debutante belles and with Gus….”

 

 

 

“And JR! JR would be a debutante ball too…” Devore interrupts.

 

 

 

Belles, not ball, you fool! I have the cache to present them to the proper people. Whereas she, even as their birth mother, does not and never will!”

 

 

 

The people attending court murmur and are then shocked by the terrified screams. As unfortunately, for Peterson, Ruth Masterson has now arrived in court and is behind her. It takes five people to wrestle Ruth off of a screaming and now bald in patches, Peterson.

 

 

 

Judge Finch bangs his gavel frantically and tries to bring order to the court as people gasp and gawk at the clumps of Peterson’s hair, hanging from Ruth’s clenched fists.

 

 

 

“Ms Masterson, calm yourself!” Judge Finch bellows.

 

 

 

“Calm herself?!” Peterson screams as she reaches up to touch her scalp. “That whore pulled my fucking hair out!”

 

 

 

“You’re lucky it’s just the hair on your head. And that’s only because I don’t want to touch your nasty ass dusty coochie. I snatched that greasy hair out your head so your horns can come through!”

 

 

 

“I’ll sue you for everything you have...I want her arrested for assault! You all saw what she did!” Lindsay yells, looking round the court but finds no signs of support. Instead, she sees contempt and hatred. As the tears well in her eyes, she whispers, “What? What are you all looking at me like that for? I did nothing wrong! I only wanted to provide them with a better life and she’s attacked me for this. I’m the victim here!”

 

 

 

“You’re the victim?” Justin shouts. “How the fuck do work that out?! You tried to steal my life because you are too fucking lazy, pathetic and untalented to do what I do!”

 

 

 

“Untalented?!” She sneers. “You were nothing without me! Nothing! I got you everything and this is how you repay me?!”

 

 

 

“I owe you nothing!”

 

 

 

“Order! I will have order!” Judge Finch shouts.

 

 

 

“No, I will have my fucking say!” Peterson screams at him again before turning back to Justin, all thoughts of baldness forgotten. “You stole what was rightfully mine! I waited long enough for him! If you had just fucked off to New York like you were supposed to then she would not have been here!”

 

 

 

“Rightfully yours?!” Devore shouts. “So you had no intention of helping me get Brian?!”

 

 

 

“Finally, you fucking catch up! As if Brian or I would have you in our world!” She scoffs before turning back to Justin. “But you...we are from the same social set! We understand how things are supposed to work; me as his wife, you as his seen-but-not-heard mistress! Why couldn’t you just do as you were supposed to? This is your fault if you come to think about it! And…”

 

 

 

...then Peterson crumples to the floor.

 

 

 

“What the hell happened?! Medics!” Judge Finch shouts.

 

 

 

As the medics attend to Peterson nobody says a word, but confusion reigns. Did she get overcome? Is she faking? What happened?

 

 

 

RUTH

 

 

 

I watch Gary walk quietly out and smile. He was always good with a blow pipe! That snarky ass bitch is going to wake with the mother of all headaches and as for her ass...well let’s just say that the toxin is going to hurt twice as much going out as it did going in! It immobilises immediately, and as a neurotoxin she can hear, see and feel, but can’t do anything. Not sure what he did with the douchebag but earlier I saw a flinch and he has been scratching the back of his neck ever since.

 

 

 

I am released by the guards and allowed to return to my seat, but there are still murmurings round the court. I look across at Michael, he is looking pitifully at Brian as if begging for help, but Brian is not looking at him. Instead, he’s looking proudly at Justin and then with a wiggle of his eyebrows, they make their way out.

 

 

 

“Seriously?” I snicker to myself.

 

 

 

The doors herald the arrival of another clerk and he goes to speak to the judge.

 

 

 

“The defendant Peterson has been transferred to the hospital’s secure unit and we will adjourn until she has recovered enough to…”

 

 

 

“Wait a minute! What about me?!” Michael calls out. “Can I be bailed out?”

 

 

 

Bailed out?” Judge Finch echoes, looking round the room in disbelief. “Bailed out, you say? And how are you going to pay for it? Where would you go?”

 

 

 

“Well Brian would pay for it obviously, being my best friend and all. I was duped by Lindsay and I could stay in the loft, I suppose. That’s close to court, isn’t it Brian?” He looks around and his face falls as he realises that Brian is no longer in court.

 

 

 

“Return the defendant Devore to jail, and in solitary confinement for his own safety. Court is in recess until Monday morning at 9.00 am sharp!”

 

 

 

As we file out, Nancy taps my arm and pulls me to one side. “What happened seriously?”

 

 

 

I explain the blowpipe and her eyes light up. “Are the pipes and toxins legal?” I nod. “Hmm, give me Gary’s number. I think there are a few people who could do with that. Ronald darling, I need to speak to you!” I snicker as she trots after her husband and then watch him look scandalised and then burst out laughing.

 

 

 

“Nancy Peterson, just you wait till I get you home!” Ronald giggles.

 

 

 

ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL, SECURE UNIT - SIX HOURS LATER

 

 

 

LINDSAY’S ROOM

 

 

 

LINDSAY

 

 

 

I feel awful! I have finally stopped shivering. I have had the most godawful dream. I inhale the glass of water, but the moment it hits my stomach, I feel the urge to be sick. Dashing to the bathroom, I just about make it. As I rinse out and then wipe my mouth, I look in the mirror and gawp. Gone is my flowing blonde hair; I am completely bald, not shaven...bald! Also gone are my eyebrows and my eyelashes. I feel a sticky residue over my head and face!

 

 

 

“What the hell is wrong with me?!” I scream and press the panic button.

 

 

 

GARY

 

 

 

I watch them swarm into her room and smile. Then I head down the corridor and dump the orderly outfit down a chute, but tuck the switchblade back in its sheath and in my pocket. My fucker of an old man was fucking useless, but he taught me a couple of things and Ruth told me a couple of things. She always hated the way that Lindsay flicked her hair, so I fixed that... Permanently. Ain’t nothing growing there no more...I look at the hair I shaved off and decide I will let mom take that back to New Orleans with her. I’m sure she can think of something to do with it! Mess with my family bitch, oh I think not!

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks