- Text Size +

CHAPTER 86 - MEMPHIS...AND THE KISS THAT BROKE THE CAMEL’S BACK

 

JUSTIN

 

My heart is in my throat. Like most people that followed the case, we didn't quite understand why pictures of Memphis weren't released; but now we, and the world, will know why! For standing in front of us is a mixed race Asian man, very slight in physicality. In fact, to look at him you wonder how he could've caused so much damage.

 

“Uh…” Brian begins but trails off.

 

“I was adopted.” Memphis explains. “They were very philanthropic, doing their bit for humankind.” He pulls the scrunchie out of his hair and scratches his skull, basking in the feeling before putting his hair back in a loose bun. “Korean mother, African dad. They died the day I was born, on the way to hospital for delivery. They were involved in a pile up; he died instantly, she died an hour after I was born, on the side of the road.” He pulls at his shirt. “I was taken into their family bosom when I was two, I left when I was 13. You can't hit someone who isn't there.”

 

“Have a seat, Memphis.” Arthur gestures. “As a matter of…”

 

“Where I was born.” He is just staring at Brian as he answers. “May I have a hug?” Brian looks surprised. “Been so long since I had one, and I would like the first one to be from you, if…” However else he was going to justify his reasons disappear as Brian pulls him into his embrace. Nobody says anything for a while, we just take in the scene of two people finding comfort in each other. “If, if I get out of here…”

 

“When.” Anita corrects him gently.

 

“Okay, when. Would it be okay if I kept in contact with you? Not sure where I will end up, but can I? With both of you?”

 

I nod, but before Brian can answer the door knocks again. “Come in!” Arthur calls with a smile. Brian gapes, as in strides Robbi. She too is grinning.

 

“Memphis, my name’s Roberta Carson O’Donoghue. I am Square’s, I mean Brian’s former headmistress. I live in Texas, ever been?” He shakes her outstretched hand then his head. “It's a nice place and I have a huge house, which I am happy to share with you.”

 

“Me?!” “What?!” Brian and Memphis say at the same time

 

“I am not that, well not too, old. Once you are released you will need somewhere to live away from everything and start again. In the meantime, I believe you will be in the custody of Anita, correct?” Anita nods. “Long term that won't work, so give it some thought.  Now I have some gaggle members to visit. See you when you two are back.” With a kiss to both our cheeks and a wave she is gone.

 

We are still staring shocked, except Arthur, Phyllis and Anita, at the closed door a good few minutes after she swept out.

 

“Is she serious?” Memphis whispers.

 

“Yes, she is serious. Now take a seat so we can begin.” Phyllis gestures to the chair, between her and Anita. “But before we start Memphis, I have to explain why you two are so alike but different, case wise. The pair of you were both abused, but whilst you, Brian, took them to court for them causing unnecessary suffering, Memphis is asking for a retrial on the basis that all the facts weren't known. Nobody knew about the rape, not even his family, and his brother, Milton, knew this. In fact, he counted on it. What he didn't count on was Memphis fighting back. But when Memphis had a chance to explain properly, he was too frightened or ashamed to do so. He would rather be in jail than the truth be known.” She pauses then sips some water. “I know that they say you can't be charged with the same crime twice, but Milton wasn't charged with anything. Yes, he painted himself as the bully who went too far and admitted he deserved a degree of retribution, but because of Memphis’ silence, his perceived lack of remorse, lack of explanation, the jury didn't think a couple of years of roughhousing deserved that.”

 

“So if he had…” I begin and Arthur nods. “...if the truth were known from the outset, Milton would've at least been investigated.”

 

“And I couldn't have that. I was only seventeen…” He stutters to a halt. “...just seventeen.”

 

“And that too wasn't taken into consideration. Nothing was. The precedents your case will set, Memphis, is that no crime goes unpunished. So, will you please sit down?”

 

MEMPHIS

 

I nod and take the seat opposite the great Arthur Fitzgerald III. The door knocks again and they all look at each other. “Dr Morris, I asked him to come, if that’s alright?”

 

“Of course it is. We're here for you, Memphis.” Arthur smiles. “Come on in, Trevor!” He calls out, now it is me who is surprised. “As well, as a brilliant therapist and psychologist, he’s a good friend. He’s a good friend to all of us.”

 

“Hi guys, sorry I'm a bit late.” Trevor smiles as he comes in. “How you doing, Memphis?”

 

“Okay, am doing okay.” I answer quietly. “So how do you know them all?”

 

“Same as I know you, they’re my patients, well all except Justin.” He looks at Arthur who is nodding. “Client confidentiality, you understand.”

 

“Wow. So do I just start?” I twist my fingers looking at Phyllis.

 

“We have to record it, but yes, just start. We need to hear why you did what you did and why you have only decided to tell the truth now?”

 

“Alright…” I breathe deeply and nod at Arthur. He presses record. “...my older brother Milton, would always hit me, from the age of about eight. My other brothers would play fight with me but he would mean it. I told my folks, my Dad especially didn't care. My Mom would tell him to stop, and for a few days he would, but then he would make up for it when he started again. The first time he...he raped me was when I was 11. I don't remember the pain, pain from him I am used to, but it was when he bit me, saying I am marking you as mine, that I knew it was another power thing for him. That continued for two years, but when he brought a friend around and said that he could have at me, I left in just what I was in. I stayed away for a week, Mom was frantic with worry, the rest of them didn't care too much, but he, he was furious because I had humiliated him by not being there. He said he would teach me a lesson, and locked me in my room when everyone had gone and then went to get his friend again, I had a feeling something was going to happen, so had packed a bag and hidden it. I broke the window to get out.” I subconsciously stroke the scar on my knuckles where I punched my way to safety.

 

“Can you continue?” Anita asks, sighing, I nod.

 

“Yeah. So I ran, just ran to anywhere but there. I got to Ohio by hitching, and got myself a job as a bottle washer in a Chinese restaurant. They taught me a lot. I was going to school and everything was great. I never told them why I left, and they never pressed the issue. One day I got home and the house felt off just odd, and when he stepped into the hallway I knew why.”

 

“Fuck me. How did he find you?” Justin asks.

 

“Never said and I never asked. I was so mute with terror that I allowed him to pull me into the lounge. I remember the room had been rearranged so that there was a space in the middle.” I reach for the glass of water in front of me. “He laughed and said I should just stand there as he would rip my clothes off himself. And besides, he said, there must have been some degree of pleasure on my side, or I would've stopped him. He hit me across the face and I fell down. He stood above me, smiling, I was just frozen in fear. But that ended when he sat on my stomach and tried to kiss me…”

 

“To kiss you?!” Trevor gasps. “What on earth for?!”

 

“Said he had always wanted to; but thought I was too young before…”

 

“Rape and beating is fine, but kissing is not?!” Brian explodes in disgust. “Sorry, everyone, I just can’t…”

 

“It’s okay, but that was it. As he held my head to stop me from resisting his kiss...I bit him and he lept off me in pain, saying he was going to be gentle but not anymore. So I hit him, then put into practice what the Lau family had taught me…”

 

“Let me guess?” Brian interrupts with a smile. “They taught you how to fight?”

 

“Kinda, they taught me how to avoid the attack in the first place. They knew that I was in a bad place, but like I said, didn't press the issue. At first it was just the one punch, but then he charged at me so I moved, which meant he hit the wall. That's how his hand got broken. He picked up a lamp and threw it at me. It missed, and the rest of the beating took place as I said in the original trial…”

 

“Why did you redress him?” Trevor frowns.

 

“I couldn't bear the thought of people knowing. He said he would tell them…” I trail off looking at them for understanding. Not only do I find that, but also compassion and determination. “...and now I don't want to be a victim of my silence anymore, I am a victim of his, his vile and ugly silence, which is he is a rapist and an abuser.”

 

JUSTIN

 

We contemplate what he's said for a while before I clear my throat. “So what happens now?”

 

“We go before a judge to get him released into my custody.” Anita replies. “He would have to go on a tag. Then we will prepare for everything that is coming!”

 

“Are you gay, Memphis?” Brian asks.

 

“Nope. Neither is he, it was all about power and control. I am not going to be a victim…”

 

“You're not a victim, Memphis, you're a survivor.” Brian tells him gently. “And so am I. If it wasn't for your case and Trevor's book about it, I would never have known what it was. I would just keep hearing the voice…” Memphis nods in understanding. “...nothing so quiet sounded so loud in my dreams as that voice. But the moment I read the word PTSD, I just felt calmer and it got quieter.”

 

“Was it your voice or theirs?” Memphis asks quietly.

 

I watch Brian contemplate the question. “Theirs. Always theirs. Taunting and mocking, saying I would never escape, never be free.”

 

“But you are now.” I try to keep my voice quaver free and tears out of my eyes. I take Brian's hand so I can kiss it. “You both are. And you will keep surviving.”

 

“Hell yeah we will! Even if I have girly hair!” He laughs, taking it out of his scrunchie. “Am thinking of getting it…”

 

“No!” Arthur and Anita declare quickly.

 

“Why not?” I frown at Brian, who looks equally puzzled.

 

“Because that is his strength.” Arthur explains. “It is his mark of freedom. What did you say he said to you when he found you before he attacked?”

 

Memphis thinks for a while before winding his hair back in a bun with a nod. “He said that I know he hates long hair on guys, and as soon as we were done, he was going to cut it all off.” He finishes his glass. “I was going to say trimmed,  I grew it because I could...I am never going to have it cut.”

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks