- Text Size +

CHAPTER 62 - THE FINAL DENOUEMENT

 

G-WING OHIO STATE PENITENTIARY - WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

BELLE

 

Seriously, nobody is this stupid. Surely he must realise that we will find out. I sigh as I take off the eyelash that I put on crooked whilst listening to him blather on!

 

“True love.” Pumpkin sighs as he joins me at the table. “Ooh, can I trade you?!” I swat his fingers away from the rows of lashes that Chyna has sent. “You have four sets of the diamante ones!”

 

“And two of them are not mine.” I point out and then peer at him. “Will you please face the fact that you are allergic to that brand and stop using it?!” I pull out the make up remover and cotton wool, “Want me to do it for you?”

 

“But it looks good on me, the colour I mean…” He whines as he starts to take it off. “...you have to admit that.”

 

“Yeah, once you can see past the hives it looks awesome.” I retort.

 

“Oh very droll.” He murmurs. “Can you imagine the reunion they are going to have when…”

 

“Who?”

 

“Michael and…”

 

“His overly fertile imagination?” He frowns. “All that is not true. Brian Kinney is no more his lover than I am Billie Jean King. He should write his memoirs, call it the Deep Delusion.”

 

Pumpkin shakes his head reproachfully. “You need to get over it.” He whispers and looks around. “It is not like you to be like...”

 

“Over and like what?” I put my tweezers down and wait, he knows that there is only one thing that stops me from doing my lashes, and that is a lie! If you are dumb enough to commit the crime and get caught...admit what you have done!

 

“Billie Jean King, huh?” Pumpkin repeats. “Hmm, Imma gonna fix Tolkien, are you speaking to Chyna today?”

 

“Yeah. Want in the call?”

 

“No, just ask her to call the Warden, ask if we can watch the conference and the show.”

 

“Alright.”

 

MICHAEL'S CELL - THREE HOURS LATER

 

MICHAEL

 

“This is going to be a very long sixteen years...” I sigh. “...but at least I have three squares a day and a captive audience.”

 

“Grassi!” Guard Stewart growls, “What are you doing in here?”

 

“Resting, why?”

 

“Because this is your mandatory hour out of your cell…”

 

“I was out…”

 

“In the fresh air, and why did you spend your educational two hours in the library instead of the class as you were assigned to be?”

 

“I didn't like math in school, and now that I am an adult and have freedom of…”

 

“You are in jail, so you have freedom of nothing. Everyone gets time to adjust, especially the new fish. Your time is past, you will do as you are told here. So outside now.”

 

“I don't feel well, which is why I am resting.”

 

“You're in jail for not being well, outside or a written warning.” He pulls out his pad then looks expectantly at me. I swing myself off the bed and leave with a contemptuous look flung over my shoulder. “Just because this is a soft block, doesn’t mean you don’t do hard time!” He snaps, and clangs my cell door shut. “We are going to make you a decent human who is accepted by society, whether you want to be or not!”

 

BYHAM THEATRE - THURSDAY MORNING

 

NAOMI

 

“Ladies and gentlemen, if you could take your seats quickly then this press conference can get underway!” The assembled press, both entertainment and sports, scramble to their seats and slowly it starts to go quiet.

 

“As you all know, the Inaugural Studs and Staffs Bash is tonight and we have a few announcements to make prior to this evening, so you can concentrate fully on the show. So Kinnetic, Babylon and The Drew Boyd Foundation have set up a suicide prevention and advisory charity called Just A Dollar. It has been set up in the memory of Jerry Gonzales, who tragically took his life after he was fired from his job and unable to gain employment elsewhere. You may wonder what this has to do with anything, the anything is that because words hurt. The words of two men took away a husband and father. They may not have given him the pills, but they were the reason he took them.”

 

“Who are these people? Can you name them? And why did they do whatever it was that they did?!” Is called out.

 

“I can name one, as his trial is over. Michael Charles Grassi, and…”

 

“Where is he?”

 

“Ohio State, where he is serving time for fraud and culpability in Jerry’s death.”

 

“Hmmm. So why Just a Dollar? Why not name it after Mr Gonzales?”

 

“Because his son didn’t want that.” Brian steps forward. “My name is Brian Kinney, and the reason for the name is because that is how I stopped a suicide, by giving the guy one dollar. I had it and he needed it. He used that dollar to take a bus ride away from his bullying and controlling father. It was either run or die for him.”

 

“And that’s what it is like for all of us struggling with suicidal thoughts, you run, die...” I take a deep breath. “...or you hide, after a fashion. I am finished hiding. I am proud to be Naomi and...and Noel.” I had dressed in a mannish suit for this very reason; I have never lied to anyone about who I am, apart from two people: my former mother and stepfather. The truth is, nobody knew me as anyone other than Naomi when I was working. “My name is Noel Coor, and I am the other side of Naomi Coor.”

 

“Well I’ll be damned!” A guy calls out. “I was going to ask you out after this!”

 

“They are very much taken!” Daphne calls out with a fiery look in her eye.

 

“I have a question, Mr Kinney, who was the guy? Did you ever see him again?”

 

“Charles Copperson.” Charles steps into view. “And I too am supporting this charitable organisation. For every dollar that is paid tonight I will give ten. So let’s start with you…” He points to a man on the end, and at first he looks stunned but then hands over a dollar, within minutes everyone has paid and Charles is making good on his word.

 

“So, Mr Boyd, do you have any announcements to make?” Another voice calls out.

 

“Yes, I am retiring at the end of the season.” There is stunned silence. “I have only been able to carry on playing because of one person and one person alone, and that is Chyna Carrington. And, as a part owner of the Ironmen, it gives me great pleasure to introduce her as our new Trainer.”

 

“But she’s a woman. A woman!”

 

“And we’re all gay men. What difference does her sexuality have to do with it? What is important and is the only determining factor is that she makes me, makes us, look like this without breaking a sweat.” Drew retorts. “And she is also transgender.”

 

“Wait hold on. All of you are gay?” A woman reporter looks awestruck and disappointed. “So who is with who? Couple up please? Oh now you two are a beautiful couple…” She points at Brian and Justin. “...how long have you two been together?”

 

“Um about five months maybe six. And thank you.” Justin replies with a grin.

 

“Meanwhile back to the importance of football and…” The mouthy reporter stands up.

 

“For the bully boys, cavemen and doubters among you…” Chyna steps to the mic. “...look at these pictures, they’re the before…and untouched.” She smirks as some of the boys wince at how they once were. “...the after is later.”

 

“A lot of fans are not going to be happy with this.” The reporter sneers.

 

“You one of them?” He nods. “Get up here.” He looks puzzled, but does come to the stage, and the guys back off with smiles as she sizes him up. “240 I think.”

 

“So you can guess weights, big...whoa!” He shouts as she shoves him backwards, but catches him before he hits the ground then effortlessly does 20 reps before setting him upright. “Smartest dressed dumbbell I have ever used.” He flushes and is at a loss as to what to do next. “Retake your seat, and at the next game report on that and don't mention the genetic composition of the trainer that got them in shape. If they lose a game, it is the fault of the team and the tactics of the coach...who are all men, not the trainer just because she's now a woman.”

 

“And on that note, see you all, well the enlightened among you, later on!” I  declare, and they file out in silence. “Well, how’d you think that went?” I grin.

 

“Front page to at least page six!” Drew swings a giggling Emmett around. “So, are we having another session before the dance?”

 

“Yeah, but not with me…” Chyna twists from side to side. “...246 with about 9% body fat. And I broke a nail!” She glowers at her hand. “Right up to about an hour before, relax each other but don’t get there.” We are all gawking at her. “Well, get to frotting! I have reserved the private rooms in Baby…”

 

The rest of her sentence is drowned out by thunderous running, the last thing I see as I hold the door open for Daph is her and Isla locked in a passionate embrace.

 

G WING - EARLY AFTERNOON

 

TV ROOM

 

BELLE

 

He had to be escorted to class, as he kept saying he was ill but the guard was not having it. There is a sizeable group waiting for Tolkien's arrival, but we have a different plan in mind!

 

“Grassi, this way!”

 

“I thought I was going back to my cell, I still don’t feel right!” He shouts back...I mean, for heaven sake he is in enough trouble with the guys, he wants to add the guards too?!

 

“Nope. Everyone is to be in the TV room from now until lights out! Stop dawdling, I won't tell you again! Besides, I would’ve thought you would be an eager beaver to see the love of your life…”

 

“I…” He begins, only to stammer to a halt when he sees all of us in the room looking happy to see him.

 

“So tell us…” I pat the seat next to me. “...again, how you and Brian Kinney met. And how his partner, Justin Taylor, feels about that. But before all of that, why didn’t you tell us you are a murderer?”

 

“A murder...I am not a murderer, all I did was commit fraud!”

 

“And spread chlamydia.” I remind him. “But I guess because you weren’t found guilty of sexual endangerment as you were too stupid to get yourself checked after barebacking, you didn't feel you should have mentioned it. So I, as the prisoner’s representative, will be speaking to the Warden first thing in the morning. We do not feel safe or comfortable in the presence of a murderer, and will be requesting that you be moved to a more suitable wing. A wing where they can do something about your oneirataxia.”

 

“Yeah, maybe the medical wing would be better. And once again, I am not a murderer. Nobody made that idiot take the pills but him!” He asserts, before turning to the guard and coughing. “Can you take me to the doctor, as this needs to be looked at before it gets worse!”

 

“First we need to go to the Warden, as oneirataxia, unlike chlamydia, is not a…”

 

He starts to cough harder and sniffs. “Please, can we just go?!”

 

WARDEN MARTIN'S OFFICE - AN HOUR LATER

 

GUARD STEWART

 

Seriously, he should be on the stage! He has managed go paler and shiver more the closer we got to the warden's office. And now, the Doc has just left and has agreed with the oneirataxia diagnosis.

 

Warden Martin sighs resignedly, “I think, Grassi, that an immediate transfer is called for.” He nods tiredly and keeps his head down, but I can see that a smile being held back. “You will be taken to your new wing and your things will be brought down.”

 

“Thank you.” He wheezes. “Will, will...I remain there for the rest of my sentence, well up to my appeal anyway.”

 

“Appeal?” He asks. “What appeal?”

 

“I am going to appeal this, but not before I am better.” He wraps his arms tighter around himself. “Once my Mother and Uncle hear how ill I am, they will want to help me.”

 

“Of course they will.” Warden Martin nods slowly and starts to sign the paperwork. “Right, that is that done. Take him down and put him in with Hawkeye.”

 

“In with? We share beds, now that is liberal!” He keeps his excitement just about in check by squeezing himself tighter.

 

“Hawkeye is serving 20 for armed robbery, and is one of the most nurturing but reality bringing prisoners we have, and he will make sure you complete your education. When he came in he could barely read, but he’s now the teacher of the wing. But somehow I doubt you will be Teacher's pet.”

 

“Why not?”

 

“He likes his pets smarter than you.” I laugh. “You latch onto anything to get you out of everything. Come on, general pop awaits.”

 

“General pop?!” He stands bolt upright. “No, that can’t be right! Surely, with my illness, I am in the medical wing!”

 

“Which you have just miraculously recovered from! Minutes ago you could barely sit for trembling. Like I was saying, in the TV room, oneirataxia is not a physical illness, it is an affliction of someone who decides to live in the realms of fantasy, much like the fantasy you have about you and your boyfriend, Brian. Let’s go, Mr. Never-Gonna-Be-Kinney!”

 

TV ROOM - 50 MINUTES BEFORE THE SHOW

 

BELLE

 

We are all still laughing,. He cried all the way, and then when he saw Hawkeye, he was too afraid to fake a faint, just sat down as he was told and started the homework he was assigned to do. We will no doubt hear about his attempts to get back to the safety of G-Wing, but while I am here for the next five years, it won't happen!

 

“So, can we watch the conference now?” I ask Guard Stewart, and he gets up with a smile to switch it on, having recorded it for us earlier. Half an hour later, I am wiping my eyes and feeling so very proud of Chyna. “Come on, Munroe, let's get snacks...it is almost show time!”


 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thank you.