- Text Size +

GUS

 

It’s not like I didn’t expect Al’s past to stop by for a visit. I mean, I knew there were others before me, but did the ex have to be Al’s physiotherapist? It really pissed me off when she acted like Al didn’t just introduce me as is fiance. Donna was in the ‘Ignore me and pretend Al wasn’t marrying a man’, denial mode. Al used me to keep her at a distance when she tried to wrap herself around him. Then there was the conversation where she made sure to let me know how close she and Al were at one time; everything in their conversation revolved around things only she and Al knew about. All while she was putting him through his exercises, with involved massages and touching any part she could get to on him. I made sure not to let my annoyance show, since it was her own fault that she was stupid enough to not see what she had when she had it. Not that Al didn’t notice, since he pretty much knows all my moods, and the way I deal with people I don’t like.

 

“God, remember when all of my friends dared you to jump into the frozen lake naked? All the girls wanted to see what I had.” Donna said, giggling.

 

“I remember thinking hypothermia wasn’t my idea of a good time, and having to keep you and the girls from thinking drinking and driving was something else fun to do.” Al told her, not hiding his feelings about how she was treating me.

 

After that she stopped flirting and did her job, while shooting looks at me to indicate she wanted me gone. She really didn’t get that not much intimidated me. I didn’t respond to anything, just continued to work on one of my assignments. When the session was over, Al just couldn’t resist showing how he really felt. This time there was no joking or smiling to hide it with him. He asked if they could talk to the doctor in charge of his care, and waited until she brought him back with her.

 

“Can I help you?” Dr Carter asked him.

 

“I’m sure you can. I’d like to request another therapist.” Al told him.

 

“Donna comes very highly recommended.” Dr Carter assured him.

 

“I’m sure she does, but I honestly came here for therapy, not for her to reminisce about a relationship that we no longer have, especially in front of the man I plan to marry.” He told him.

 

“I was just making conversation, it helps to make these sessions go by faster.” She told him.

 

“So you tell all your patients about getting drunk and not really caring about killing someone else by getting behind the wheel?” Al asked.

 

“I’ll see to changing your therapist.” Dr Carter told us.

 

We were in the car before Al said anything about the change in the way he handled people. 

 

“I know it didn’t bother you, but it bothers me I ever thought she was worth dating.” He told me.

 

“Does it bother you that I never really dated?” I asked him.

 

“Only if you felt like you were missing out on something.” He said carefully.

 

“When I was still in school, being confused about everything kept me from wanting to go into a relationship. When I met you, I felt like it was as if I’d been waiting for you. I still feel like that. I’ve watched my friends date and just feel lucky I found you and avoided all the crap they go through when the person they’re with isn’t the right person.” I told him.

 

“Something I could have avoided if we’d met sooner.” He told me.

 

“Nope, I’m okay with everything it took for us to get where we are now.” I told him.

 

AL

 

Emmett as a planner is nothing like Emmett everyday. I really thought some of the drill sergeants could learn a thing or two from him. While Gus isn’t well known the way Justin and Brian are, he’s still lived in the world they lived in. People knew who he was because Brian and Justin were proud of everything Gus did, and made a point of being there for everything. Gus didn’t seem to care what last name we used, but I liked the idea of combining our names. I never really asked about the name change, since it seemed obvious he was distancing himself from Lindsay. Since Emmett was busy, it was a good time to bring it up. Emmett was talking to a florist for another wedding, so I asked why, when he dropped the Peterson from his name, did he only add Kinney. No one, meaning Justin, seemed to have a problem with only the Marcus-Kinney. It was the one thing we never really talked about, since it made sense to me he didn’t want Lindsay’s name.

 

“Jus really only uses Taylor when it comes to business. He actually signs his name as Justin Kinney for everything else.” He tells me.

 

“Markus-Kinney-Speaks might really be to much when you think about it.” I tell him.

 

“I honestly don’t care if it takes half a sheet of paper to sign our name.” He tells me.

 

“I told you the bride wants soft pink, not hot pink, so charging her for your mistake won’t happen. Although I do have an event where I might be able to convince them to use your mistake at a discount.” Emmett says, smiling when he obviously got what he wanted. Hanging up the phone, Emmett went to get a new planner to discuss what we wanted to do.

 

“Now how about we start working on what you two want. Three months puts us at a crunch for some things, like where, when, and how.” He tells us, seriously.

 

“We wanted it to be small, but there really are a lot of people in our lives.” I tell him.

 

“Which means big. But it can still be intimate. Jen was willing to rent the country club for the reception.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Nana mentioned it, but we really want to do something less formal.” Gus tells him. 

 

“Are you worried your… Lindsay might try to show up?” Emmett asks, stumbling at what to call her.

 

“Her parents more than her.” He tells us. 

 

“Are they still calling you?” I ask. 

 

“Only when Lynette demands that they do. The last time was while Jus was gone. They wanted me to talk to Dad about donating a campaign for some charity thing Lynette was involved in. When I asked why they were calling me and not Kinnetik, they seemed to suddenly want to bring up they were my grandparents.” Gus says, laughing.

 

“Honey, why didn’t you tell us about this?” Emmett asks.

 

“Dad was worried enough. I could handle it.” Gus tells him.

 

“He didn’t tell you either?” Emmett asks me.

 

“I’m sure he would have eventually, but like he said, he can handle it.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Okay. But where do you guys want to hold the wedding?” Emmett says, letting it go for now.

 

“I’m not really sure where to have it. Any ideas?” Gus asks me.

 

“I sort of like the idea of the beach, but there isn’t really one around here. It’s too bad we don’t live near the beach house.” I tell him.

 

“Think about all the people we would have transport. I doubt Dad and Jus meant literally anything we want.” Gus tells us.

 

“He pretty much said anything you want, which is pretty much the moon if you want it. Jen really wanted to help too, so I think she’d be happy to let you use the house.” Emmett tells him.

 

“We could spend the honeymoon there too.” I mention.

 

“I doubt it, since your parents sort of mentioned to me they were paying for that for the two of you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Where are they planning?” I ask.

 

“I was supposed to keep it a secret.” Emmett tells us.

 

“And you will.” Drew tells him from the doorway.

 

“So Florida it is. That takes care of location. I’ll get with Brian about transportation.” Emmett tells us, determined to keep my parents secret.

 

“I can get that handled. The owner of the Iron Men told me to let him know if there’s anything he could do to help.” Drew tells us.

 

“Why?” Emmett asks, since we were all confused.

 

“His nephew was one of the people Al’s team got out of the building.” Drew tells us.

 

“Did you know that?” Gus asks me.

 

“There isn’t any reason for us to know who; we just do our job.” I tell him.

 

“Well he is grateful that you did more than your job, by not leaving until you were sure no one was left in that building.” Drew tells us.

 

“Al wouldn’t have left anyone behind.” Gus tells him, once again showing he understood me.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was in his office when I went looking for him. I was pissed when Emmett called to tell me what Lindsay’s parents were doing. I was pissed in general, something that Justin and I needed to talk about, along with wishing the Petersons out of existence. Justin was looking through pictures he planned to use for a show, stopping when I walked in. 

 

“What’s wrong?” He asks, kissing me.

 

“Gus mentioned to Emmett that Lindsay’s parents have been calling him.” I tell him.

 

“You’re upset he didn’t tell you? It’s likely that he forgot.” He tells me.

 

“Or, he didn’t say anything because he knew I was worried about you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I was safe the whole time.” He tells me.

 

“Then why didn’t you tell me what you were doing until after it was done?” I ask, not willing to hide that I didn’t like it.

 

“Because I wasn’t thinking about us. All I could think was making sure we got the people in that building out. For a minute it was like being back in my past again, only I didn’t have to think about anyone else then.” He tells me.

 

“Do you miss the things you did?” I ask.

 

“I thought I did, but all I could think about the whole time, was you and the kids. Watching what Gus went through… it was the first time I got to see what it’s like to be on the other side of it. I can’t promise that if I’m there I won’t try to help, but I will promise you not to go looking for it.” He tells me.

 

“You didn’t this time.” I remind him.

 

“It still bothers you that I did.” He tells me.

 

“It will always bother me, but as long as you keep me informed, I can deal with it.” I tell him.