- Text Size +

PRECINCT BLUES: CHAPTER 11: LET’S GO TO THE VIDEOTAPE


DARIS


After taking the necessary pictures of how this room- this dungeon- was really meant to be furnished, we decide that we will watch the movie already in place on the projector. To say that I already feel sick to my stomach would be an understatement, although I’m not sure whether it’s from nerves or the anticipation of finally getting the answers to some very pertinent questions. As the projector is cranked on by Officer Johns, the light on the screen shines in such a way that we all know there’s more than a solid wall behind it.


“Just a moment,” I order, as I make my way over to the screen, which has a collage of Brian and Michael on it. As Justin had already mentioned, it, coupled with the wallpaper of this room is quite puke-inducing. Not because of the people in the photos- well not entirely- but because of the intent in having them here.


“What’s wrong?” Brian asks. I can hear the weariness and wariness in his voice, but I know there aren’t any words or deeds I can offer which would make this any easier for him. 


Justin grips his left hand tighter, which seems to reassure Brian that he isn’t alone in this. But it’s Melanie’s words from the television screen we wheeled in a while ago that also helps him. “Just a while longer, Brian, and we’ll all be free of it.”


“But at what cost?” he asks, looking at her with despondent eyes.


“I know this is going to hurt like fuck. Trust me, it’s hurting me, too, although not to the degree that you’re suffering. But trust me, okay? Just this once, trust me.” 


And it was something in the way that Melanie said those words which had Brian giving her a small smile and nod in return, regardless that his eyes are still sad. For Justin’s part, he smiles brightly at her, which leads me to believe that those words have been spoken between the three of them before. I’m not sure in what context, or even why, but I’m reassured in this moment that Brian will have the enormous support he’s going to need after we put this part of the investigation to bed. Reaching out to roll up the screen, I answer Brian’s previous question in regards to the case. “There’s a container or compartment in back of the screen. Even though we checked the fridge at the front of the house, we’ve been looking for another… ah, there it is!”


I step back to reveal another piece of Michael’s nefarious puzzle. I frown as I take a closer look, but it’s Brandon, who speaks what isn’t automatically visible as it should be. “There’s no way into it. Well unless it’s a situation as it was when we were searching for a way into this room.”


I look over to Carl, who is looking thoughtful. I suppose he’s trying to catalogue all of the evidence we’ve already gathered from the bedroom within his mind. So when his eyes light upon an idea, I can see exactly what it is he thinks we’ve missed. “What’s on the other side of this wall?” He asks of no one in particular, before receiving an almost-immediate response. 


“It’s the bed’s headboard, Detective Horvath. But it is nailed to the wall. We tried to move it out before, but it wouldn’t budge,” one of the younger CSIs answers.


“I see,” he answers. “Davies, I need you and Johns to go back out there, and look for a little inconspicuous button reminiscent of how we got the pocket door to open into this room. I’m almost guaranteeing that you will find the way into whatever this compartment is. If I had to guess, I would almost bet money that you will find a safe of some sort.”


“Hmm, I see your point, Carl, but that still leaves the drugs unfound if they’re here,” I point out.


“Drugs? What are you talking about?” Justin asks, still stroking the knuckles of Brian’s left hand. I watch as he keeps deliberately passing a light touch over the area where Brian’s ring lays. It’s hard not to notice that the more he does it, the calmer Brian’s breathing gets.


“Well, the theory is that even once Michael had gotten Brian here, he would still have needed a way to keep him here,” Alex says. “We all know that Brian is not known for being docile in the slightest.”


“Good point,” Justin agrees, but then adds, “If this house thus far is any indication of Michael’s obsession with the way the loft was furnished, then you might want to look at the bed thoroughly. When we passed it, it looked like a platform bed.” 


“It is, and we’ve checked the draws thoroughly,” Officer Davies said pointedly. I guess he doesn’t like the idea that he could have missed something. But Justin is not easily intimidated, especially by someone who looks to be about the same age as he is.


“Then you’ve found the secret compartment, then?” Justin smiles smugly.


“What are you talking about? The bed doesn’t have a false bottom within any of the drawers.”


“No it wouldn’t, but don’t forget that I am intimately acquainted with a bed just like it…”


Brian squeezed Justin in closer to him then, before looking at the young officer. “Near the head of the bed, in between the grooves, there should be a little section. It’s no bigger than a key really, and easy to overlook unless you’re looking for it. Anyway, if you push it in, and let go rapidly the draw should pop out. It’s where I used to hide the remote to my bed.”


“Remote?” Melanie asked, curiously with an eyebrow raised. 


Justin smiles brightly, before answering her. “It’s probably best that you don’t know, but I’m going to tell you anyway, just to shock you. The pictures that I’m sure you’ve seen by now of the bed Michael intended for Brian sleep in within this room, is very similar to the modifications Brian and I had made to the platform bed at the loft. Not quite to that magnitude, but just enough where the extra pieces of the bed could be electronically hidden at will.”


And he says it so conversationally that I have to look over at Brian, who has a small smirk on his face. “That’s true?”


He shrugs in answer, before saying. “What can I say? Justin likes to play sometimes, but is very selective about where he does it. After the first few times we visited the Meat Hook, he decided that he’d rather play at home, and maybe invite the occasional person over to indulge. But when that happens, he’s always a Dominant…”


“Except with you,” I finish for him, getting an even better picture of who these two men are within their relationship.


“Baby, and here I thought that you were the more innocent between the two of you,” Mel teases, causing the younger man to blush. But it’s Brian, who laughs loud at the insinuation.


“I’ve been trying to tell you not to fall for that innocent act. Justin is a fallen angel if there ever was one.”


“Well, you would know, wouldn’t you, Lucifer?” All three of them laugh at her quip, and I can’t help but chuckle myself. If ever there was a man that could even make ME question my own sexuality, which I’m completely confident in, it would be Brian Kinney. Both he and Justin are beautiful, but more importantly, they are beautiful together. And that’s never been more evident than it is right now. “By the way, I take it things are back to normal with you two,” Melanie implies as Brandon and Alex shift their attention to the two of them, anticipating the answer.


“Normal is overrated right, Sunshine?” Brian asks, while smiling softly at his partner.


“Normal was never our strong suit, Stud,” Justin replies with the same soft gesture, before turning to the screen once more. “But to answer your question, Mel, Brian and I are solid again. Only this time, stronger and completely unmovable.”


I notice the relieved sigh not only from Melanie, but also from Brandon moreso than Alex, even though it’s coming from him, too. I’ll have to ask him what I missed later. If there was ever a time that Brian and Justin needed to keep their connection and ability to read each other open, it was now. I don’t want anything or more accurately, anyone, to interrupt that. It’s then that I’m even happier that Deb Novotny is nowhere near them at the moment, because it’s more than obvious that she’s as much of a trigger for these men as are the people sitting in jail.


“So it looks as though you’re matching,” Melanie smirks.


Justin blushes, but Brian says, “Well, as you said, Mel, we’ve made up. And in a way that I don’t think either of us will forget anytime soon.”


“Good!” she exclaims, before letting the conversation drop for the moment.


As we stand there talking about a few inconsequential things to make sure Brian stays calm, I hear Johns call out. “Holy shit! Detective! D.A. Linton! I think we’ve found the entry!”


After I advise for Brian and Justin to keep talking to Melanie, I lead the way as Carl, Brandon, Alex, and Samantha follow me into the main bedroom. Davies is still standing near the bed, but says, “It’s as Brian... I mean, Mr. Taylor-Kinney said. There was an inconspicuous remote panel between the grooves of the slats. When pressed, this compartment was revealed. Apparently, Novotny had the headboard modified to include a pocket similar to the ones we’ve been finding all over this area.” He pressed the button on the side of the bed again to show us exactly how smoothly it fits into the tufted material, which is why we didn’t notice it when we couldn’t move the headboard out from the wall.


“Well Justin did say that Michael seemed hellbent on making this place as close to the loft, pre-robbery- as possible,” Brandon murmurs.


“He did? When?” Alex asks.


“He noticed it right away,” Brandon replies, but then raises a questioning eyebrow in the doctor’s direction. “If I’m not mistaken, so did you.”


He clears his throat before responding. “Brian and I have known each other a long time, and as strange as it is sometimes, I would like to think he and I became friends along the way. I spent some time at the loft before he got involved with Justin, and then again after Justin had gotten hurt. There were definitely subtle changes made to the aesthetic of the loft to help Justin regain his independence. But even prior to the incident with Hobbs, there were differences when it came to how Brian refurbished the place. There were more secret compartments added, which we know now weren’t so secret after all, due to Lance Freeman.”


I watch and take notice of the subtle fidgeting the doc is doing and I know that more than just mere friendship had been between Alex Wilder and Brian Kinney for however short-lived it might have been, given Brian’s reputation pre-Justin. But I also know that Alex has been involved with Stephen for quite a few years now, so any remnant of unrequited love, lust- whatever- is long gone by now. All that remains is a solid relationship built on admiration and trust between the two men, which just happens to extend to young Justin. So I know beyond doubt that whereas the desire to take down all those who have caused Brian untold amounts of grief is strong in Alex, I also have the assurance that he’s going to be extra conscientious is his job. He’s not going to want anything to stand in the way of getting full justice for Justin and Brian.


Turning my attention back to the compartment that has been reopened, I’m astounded by the contents being lifted out one by one. Stacks of cash have been pulled out, all being separated by denomination; fourteen file folders, all labeled and divided by color, and lastly, untold amounts of photographs along with the original copies of the comic book accompanying a new pitch idea with the same premise. It’s quite obvious from the last that Michael intended to use Justin’s original blueprints to start over once he was able to get rid of Justin for good. But it’s what’s there after everything else has been cleared out, which sends a shiver of dread speeding down my spine. A built-in cooler along with what must be hundreds of syringes, all bearing the same bull and microscopic ‘GS’ at the base of them which tells us all what we’re looking at. 


Holy shit!! PROOF! Proof of intent. Proof of drug possession. Proof of every single thing at one time considered all circumstantial, and could possibly be explained away until this very moment! Holy shit!


I have the damndest time clearing the fog from the inside of my brain as I realize just what this all means. But it’s time to…  “Open the cooler,” I order softly, and when it is I once again have to mutter “Holy shit” to myself. Because for every single syringe there, it seems that there is a vial to match. 


But there’s even more drug paraphernalia in there. Thousands of pills, which I can only imagine are either Exstacy and possibly Viagra, since the probability of Brian being able to get it up with Michael Novotny was zilch, zero, nada, nialas, niente! No matter which language it’s said in, there was nothing that Michael could have offered or done to Brian for him to fuck him… except drug him. And that fact has never been more obvious than it is right now, since it’s apparent that the little fucker knew it, too!


Before I can even process anything else of my thoughts, I close my eyes, understanding exactly what I’m hearing in the background. I rush back into the dungeon looking stunned at the smiling face of that little psycho, Michael Novonty, looking back at us from the screen. Only he’s not looking at any of us really. His gaze is fixed on Brian. I look at where Brian is standing stock-still, while gripping Justin’s hand even tighter.


Michael had intended for Brian to watch this from the bed… Or more accurately, the cage beneath it so that he couldn’t retreat from Michael’s mental manipulation. 


From the look on his face, the video has been going on for a few minutes. However, whatever was said before we came in has Brian looking as white as a ghost, while Justin and Melanie are each looking murderous. Tuning into what it is he’s saying, his words, while expected, also are cutting to the core of the elegant brunet. The calm chill in his voice is not even the most disturbing part, but the glee in his eyes as he speaks:


 

“Everything I’ve done, Brian, I’ve done for us; to help you keep your promises to me since you were having trouble doing that because of the intrusive people in our lives. So because you were having trouble living by the pact we made so many years ago, I figured the best way to help you was to get rid of everyone and everything that stood in our way. I’ve always looked out for you in that way, only this time it’s going to be more permanent. Your fucking Sunshine is DEAD, and so is your little BASTARD kid! The little gift of Gus’ body should have been discovered within the closet of Lindsay’s house by now, but Boy Wonder… well, I arranged a very special parting gift for your druggie mistake. By now, he should have voluntarily taken a long walk off the bridge, helped out by some of your former conquests. You really shouldn’t have given up your stud status for the whore, you know? That should have only happened for ME. He certainly wasn’t worth it! And to prove it, here’s a little video that you should see so that you can let him go once and for all.”


The screen flashed once and it wasn’t hard to see someone who resembles Justin, but is clearly NOT him, being rapaciously fucked by someone who strangely looks like… Oh my God, is that Lorenzo with Spahn waiting behind him for his turn with the faux-Justin? I look over to Brian, even as Justin begins reassuring him that it never happened. And even though I know deep-down that Brian knows that, the guy looks too much like Justin for the question not to linger like a fucked up specter with nothing better to do than torment the mind. Although it was hard to see, Brian was still doing okay, until Lorenzo stepped back into the frame. Tilting the imposter’s head back, he first placed a scorching kiss to the blond’s lips, right before injecting a syringe, identical to the ones just confiscated from the secret chamber in the headboard, into the young man’s thigh. From the grunt and groan both from being fucked hard, and now from tripping on whatever potent shit was inside that syringe, it wasn’t hard to discern what was going to happen next. But before any identity could be revealed of just who that blond really was, that fucked up cartoon-looking motherfucker puts his face back into the damn camera. 


“So you see, Brian. Boy Wonder isn’t mourning your ‘death’ the way I would have. Instead he’s getting fucked to within an inch of his miserable life. Oh and about that, I made sure that Ma will be too busy defending herself, too. I mean since we’re both dead and all… well, let’s just say that you supposedly killed me, and Ma killed you. You’re probably wondering how I was able to pull all of this off, right? Well, between me and Lance, we know people. Oh, and since I was the beneficiary on your insurance policy before you switched it to Boy Wonder- I had that switched back to me by the way, as it should have always been- I made Lance my own beneficiary that way he could funnel the money to me in increments in exchange for the privilege of continuing to watch you. So, now we can be together, lover, worry free! Of course there’s more to tell you, but well, it’s time for your dose so I’ll do that after I kiss you and you thank me for helping you to forget anything but what we are building here. See you in a few minutes!” 


“So basically, Michael had all this shit prerecorded in the hopes that I wouldn’t fight him,” Brian says calmly… a little too calmly.


“It looks that way,” Melanie says. “But now we need to watch the rest of the videos to see why. I have a feeling that we haven’t even reached the tip of the iceberg yet.”


“I can’t handle this,” Brian whispered. “Not right now.”


“Brian…” Mel began, but was cut off by Justin.


“So we won’t,” he reassured his man.


“Sir, I need to remind you that we have a time-limit to get this all wrapped up,” Davies once again interjects, against the unvoiced advice of everyone in that room. In his defense, he really doesn’t know these men, or why we are allowing the victims at the crime scene in the first place.


“Sunshine…”


“Don’t worry about it, Bri,” Justin says sternly, before turning back to me.


“Daris, I have to get him out of here now. We’ll be back first thing in the morning but right now, this is just too much, too soon. You got me?”


I look deep into Justin’s eyes, discerning just what it is he’s unwilling to speak aloud. Brian is close to going nuclear. But unlike past instances, he’s not turning the impending destruction towards himself; it’s towards everything else in his path between where he’s standing and the exit of the house. “I have you, Justin. You and Brian go on and get some rest. I’ll call you in a bit to let you know what’s going to be decided in terms of coming back here.”


“That’s something that you can’t promise, Mr. Linton,” Davies advises. And right there is where Brian’s patience runs out, while mine is running dangerously close to stretching beyond my own capabilities. 


Out of the corner of my eye, I see the effort that it takes for Justin and Brandon to keep Brian from being able to get to Davies. “Get him out of here! I will deal with whatever bureaucratic bullshit that needs to be dealt with. I would rather have to do that than have the crime scene compromised due to the destruction of evidence.”


As Justin and Brandon hustle Brian by Davies, not allowing Brian to lift his hand towards anything within the building even as he yells obscenities about the asshole who must be just out of rookie boot camp  and who has no idea just how close he is to taking Michael’s beating, I pull out my cellphone to call Mom and Stone. If anyone can convey just how important it is for us to be given however much time it takes to close this chapter of Brian and Justin’s nightmare, I’m pretty sure that it’s them.


“I hope you know what you’re doing,” Davies says, as he stands by, supposedly supervising the activity around him. God, Brian must be right, since the guy can’t even seem to eavesdrop correctly.


“I do. But I need to know if having you on this case is going to become an escalating problem.”


“What do you mean by that?”


“That your prejudice is showing. But I have to wonder just what it is that you’re against.”


“First, I’m not prejudiced,” Davies argued before continuing. “Secondly, I just believe in processing crime scenes in the manner that they are supposed to be. I don’t see why they- nor any of these additional people- have to be here. I mean, I can sort of understand the older of the two men, but are both of them really necessary?” 


“And I do believe that I have the answer to my question.”


“What are you talking about?”


“The fact that it isn’t Brian that you have a problem with, per se, but Brian’s partner being here. Furthermore, you are as queer as a four dollar bill, but don’t have half the courage those men do to live their own truth…”


“Sounds like you’re entirely too familiar with them and it’s causing a conflict of interest. Do I detect some intimate knowledge? Perhaps someone should bring that to the attention of your superiors.”


Instead of the response he thought he’d get, I laughed. “Unlike you, youngen, my reputation for fairness and search for the truth supersedes any accusation you could possibly put out into the atmosphere. But let’s get back to you for a moment. Tell me, Davies, is it the fact that Brian is with Justin, or the fact that Justin is with Brian that’s aggravating you the most right now? Is it that everyone in this room respects both of those men because of who they are and what they have overcome that irks you, while you are just considered an assistant on this particular case with no major role beyond that of support investigations? Is what’s bugging you that Justin actually had to tell you about a piece of evidence that unless you’re intimately familiar with the furniture wouldn’t have been automatically detected that has put a roach in your butt?”


I take a deep breath, before continuing. “If it is ANY of those things that is causing you to jeopardize YOUR job right now, I suggest that you either check them at the door, or learn to hide your ugly better, beneath a placid and pleasant exterior. Because trust and believe me that if you try to fuck this case, I will fuck you. And trust me, your closeted, virgin ass will NOT enjoy it. It will be so tense and intense that the only thrill you will remember from the encounter is the feeling of relief that you can still get a job at McDonalds since law enforcement in all facets will no longer be an option."


Davies gasped before asking me, “Who the fuck do you think you are?”


“The man who can either write your ticket to a smooth career, or tie you to the train track of fucked. Take your pick,” I say, before turning to everyone else in the room. They really were not at all slick, trying to look as if they weren’t eavesdropping. “Let’s wrap this up until tomorrow everyone. I’ll contact your supervisors if there is any new information between now and the time we reconvene in the morning.”

 

Carl and I sign off with Melanie after a few privately uttered words and to let her know that I’ll be in touch as soon as I know something. Apparently, she has the same feeling about Davies that Carl and I have, but I’ll be damned if I let him fuck this case in any manner. I’ll use his own service revolver on him before I let that happen! So, with the assurance that Carl and I would talk to Stone and Mom before the morning, he and I disconnect the call from her before meeting up with Alex and Samantha. Even though we hoped we would be able to get this all done in one day, it’s okay that we weren’t able to. Brian and Justin need this scene processed right for their peace of mind. And it’s exactly what we’re going to do!