- Text Size +

CHAPTER 3 - HOW THE DEVIL AND HIS HANDMAIDEN MET...AND HE CONFESSED

 

ADIRONDACK PRISON - NEXT DAY

 

TV ROOM

 

MOUSE

 

I look around the room and try not to smile as Tank rebuffs another attempt by Gringe to get him to come and see his etchings! He has been fangirling over him ever since he came in. Gringe slinks off pouting, but, no doubt, his selective memory will have him trying again tomorrow.

 

The buzz today is about Stark being taken in. With him gone, his white collar black brothers don't quite know what to do with themselves. When he first came in, he quickly established himself as the head of his wing and pretty much everyone fell in line behind him. His reputation as a hard nosed bastard was cemented when he, not his right hand man, Fox, beat up a guy who called him an uppity Uncle Tom. I am not sure who he was thinking of, but that guy sure was a mess when he was done!

 

“Aren't they nice and cosy?” I mutter to myself as I lean against the wall and watch Stockwell and Novotny chat and smile at each other. “If only he knew…”

 

Start of flashback - as overheard by Mouse, undercover cop

TV ROOM - FOUR MONTHS PRIOR

 

He is just staring at the screen in revulsion and shock. “Him”, he says. “Him! Of all people, him!” I am trying to listen to the report about Kinney’s victory and watch him at the same time, but the incessant chatter is making it difficult. I move closer to the TV on spotting an empty seat. I am surprised when Stockwell also moves and takes the just vacated seat in front of me. I check out the expression on the other guy’s face, and he too is gawking.

 

“Disgusting, isn't it?” Stockwell hisses.

 

“Huh? What is?” He turns to face him, but his eyes drift back to the TV.

 

“That! He and his husband being in office! A disgrace to family values…”

 

“I believe in live and let live. Besides, he was voted in with a 10% majority, so the voters clearly don't have a problem.”

 

“He most likely bought the election! They have the money, that should be investigated! If I was mayor like I was supposed to be…”

 

“You ran?” He frowns at him. “Who are you?”

 

“Stockwell, Jim Stockwell. I was indicted on some jumped up…”

 

“The killing of that cop. You were caught…”

 

“I didn't kill that cop, he killed himself…”

 

“That’s not what the jury thought.” The guy smirks and turns back to the screen.

 

“They thought wrong, and once I am freed, I will claim my place as Mayor of Pittsburgh, and…”

 

“Convicts aren't allowed to run for office.” He interrupts. “And…”

 

“Well he and his husband are deviants. Hubby is also a vandal. He desecrated some of my campaign material when I was first running. He was at a meeting and held up photos of some dead fags, saying we hadn't done enough to find their killers. It was not my fault that the investigations hit a roadblock.”

 

“Wasn't there a gay bashing during your campaign? I am a Pittsburgh native and I don't remember much being done then. Surely, that would've shown you to be gay friendlier if they had been caught sooner!”

 

“Gay friendlier?!  Why would I want to be that?! This sickens me! Why are you in this place then? And you are?”

 

“It was the 88th District that cost you the election, swiping it for Deakins.”

 

“How do you know that?”

 

“Like I said, Pittsburgh native, lived in the 88th, a massive turnout.”

 

“You a fag?” He scrutinises him coldly.

 

“I am in for robbery, assault, and sexual assault against my girl...well, then girlfriend, so…”

 

“Really, you don't look the type.”

 

“Novotny. Michael Novotny. And I know something else about the hubby, well now you’ve told me what he did to your campaign material, confirms a suspicion.”

 

“What's that?”

 

“He most likely was behind the advert. You know, the one that got you investigated? Stands to reason, don't you think?” Novotny smiles again but there is something very sinister about it. “He has the money, he got his old man sent down you know?”

 

“He did? What for?!” Stockwell leans closer. “And how do you know?”

 

“Kept my ear to the ground. But I agree, people like him should not be in office.”

 

They both turn back to the screen as the report finishes and Novotny stands. “I’m going to get some fresh air, well as fresh as you can in this place.”

 

“I’ll come with you, if you don't mind. Been so long since I have spoken to such a knowledgeable and like minded person.”

 

“Thanks, and not at all…” Novotny trails off and looks across the way, he goes slightly pale. “...let’s go now!” He orders briskly.

 

As they walk out, I look to see where he was staring and find myself staring at a stunned and annoyed looking Luther Stark…

End of flashback

 

“Rumour has it that he is going to be in the hospital for a week while they run some more tests.” Tank sits on the table and swings his legs. “They been talking more and more these days.”

 

“Hmmm. He has not been in the safe wing since they became buddies.”

 

“You saw that guy’s face, and that was just for him mouthing off, imagine what he would do to a guy that tried to attack his daughter, estranged or not.” Tank stands and stretches.

 

Nodding I look at him carefully. “So this, I mean you being in, is precautionary again? There is really nothing going on.”

 

“He's going up against the parole board in two weeks.”

 

“Again? He appeals every damn year and every year they turn him down!”

 

“Yeah. You’d think he would get the hint.” He grins. “Okay, time for me to go walkies...they are nothing if not predictable.”

 

YARD - FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

TANK

 

I am hoping that this is just precautionary.

 

Mouse is a good cop but not FBI. I go in every year he appeals, but there is just something in the air about this one. I have watched the recordings from the board and his hatred, lack of remorse and arrogance shine through, but from what I have been observing, Novotny seems to be coaching him...weird I know, but he got away with what he got away with for years.

 

“You know, Novotny, I wasn't entirely honest with you. And I trust you more now.”

 

You’re not the only one!

 

“About that cop; I didn't kill him, but was there when he offed himself by accident.”

 

What?!

 

“He admitted it to me, that he had done something bad and when he told me what I could not believe that one of Pittsburgh’s...one of my men was a fag. So I helped him on his way.”

 

“Helped him? Helped him how?”

 

“I had hoped he would just slink off after he resigned but he started to get paranoid. And paranoid gets you careless. Slept with his gun all the time. The night he died he was cleaning it when I came around. It went off.”

 

“So why not just say that in court?”

 

“Because he took another twenty minutes to die. I had a duty of care, and I cared more about my campaign than a faggot. And because of him, there are two less in the world.”

 

“Kinney is a faggot, and he was your campaign manager.”

 

“He was and then he was a fired one. I caught them at his place. They were fucking! I couldn’t believe it, they were, fucking on the posters!” Novotny grimaces and Stockwell smiles, little knowing that this is all jealousy. “And he will soon be a dead one when I get out; both him and his husband. And with your coaching, get out I will.”

 

ALLEGHENY HOSPITAL - TUESDAY, A WEEK LATER

 

LUTHER’S PRIVATE SUITE

 

ZEE

 

I will concede that he does look ill, and also yellow is not a good colour on him! I refused to come at first, but Uncle Lucian pleaded so I relented, but only because I made them all swear not to mention DJ.

 

Whilst this may be a private suite, which Uncle Luc is paying for, he is still shackled to the bed and that makes me happy.

 

“We are treating the jaundice. We were wrong, it is not a kidney, it is bone marrow he needs.” The doctor advises and looks at us all.

 

“Son…Zeus…” Luther groans weakly. “...can you pass me some water?” Zeus hands him the cup but keeps his eyes trained on me. “Watch it!” Luther snaps when the water slops on him.

 

“Kitten turned into a lion I see.” Zander sneers and then smirks as the chain of his handcuff rattles against the bed.

 

“We will seek a second opinion from our doctor and if he reaches the same conclusion, then we will do the needful.”

 

“ZayZay…” Zeus begins, and I enjoy the brief scowl on Luther’s face. “...are you serious?”

 

“I am. Now let's get this ball rolling,” I stand up and stretch slightly. “Faal will make the appointments, won't you geliefde?”

 

“Yes, but I don't understand why?”

 

“Because…”

 

“Because she's my baby, she’s always been my baby girl.” Luther smarms.

 

“Nope. You got 15 years for using his name. This way you are alive to serve each and every second.” I pick up my purse. “And I am Uncle Lucian’s Little One, I am nothing to you. Nothing. And you are less than that.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be constructively kind if reviewing. Thanks.