- Text Size +

CHAPTER 44 - THE COST OF SILENCE, THE BEGINNING OF HIS CULINARY CAPERS AND A CURVEBALL


LOUNGE - TEN MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


I hand him another tissue and let him cry it out. “I’m su-such a sel-selfish prick for cr-crying! His pa-parents must be dev-dev-devastated!” He blubbers from my lap.


“What rot!” I declare, whilst stroking his hair. “I want you to look at me. Look at me, Justin!”


Slowly he turns; I wipe his face. “How can’t I be selfish?! Or a prick?! Their son is dead, and I’m...I’m relieved!” He sobs. 


“Justin, he was in jail for violently attacking you. You said yourself what his intentions were…” I leave the rest of the sentence hanging, hoping he will say something, instead he slowly sits up then rests against my side. “...do  you want some tea or the rest of your wine?”


“Neither, well, not yet, just want to rest here. Okay?”


“Okay.”


GOLD RESIDENCE, CALIFORNIA - NEXT MORNING


LOUNGE


EAN GOLD


I rest my head against the chair and take in the silence. It’s over. The hell that he’d been putting us through, both financially and emotionally, is over. I open my eyes at her sigh. “Well this is definitely the last time, we pay for silence.” I turn to his stepmother, Erin, who scowls. “It’s not as if it’s ever going to happen again.”


“It should never have happened in the first place!” She snaps, snatching her hand out of reach. “If you had said no and let him face the consequences the first time he got ‘upset’, then this shit would’ve been stopped a long time ago! Instead, you protected and spoiled him, believing his ‘won’t happen again, can you make it go away’ bullcrap!” Her head drops into her hands before she sighing again. “How many times did I tell you that that vicious leopard wouldn’t change his spots?”


“I know, darling, but after his mom…”


“Oh, for goodness sake, you’re both as bad as each other! She didn’t die, she simply fell in love with someone else, and she picked him over her son, not once, but twice. The first time when she left, the second when Cory had her send Ethan back to live with us. Do you have any idea how relieved I was when she was guilted into letting him live with her?”


“Not as relieved as I was.” I admit. “It allowed us to build a foundation in our relationship, didn’t I?” 


“Whilst that is true...we wouldn’t have to ‘build’ on it if we didn’t have…”


“He’s just been killed by…”


“Killed? A little harsh, don’t you think? His cold unfeeling heart gave out; he wasn’t killed in the sense that you mea. Which you are only saying in order to assuage the guilt you feel for finally cutting him off!” 


Tears start to trickle down my face. “He was still my son…”


“Who cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars in hush money!” She snarls. “Did you even read the police reports?!” 


“Erin, please stop shouting. I get it, he was a monster, but it’s over now. We just offer them a settlement, they accept, sign the NDA, we bury him and move on with our lives.”


“And if they don’t accept the settlement?”


“Who wouldn’t accept $200K?! What a ridiculous question! Besides, from what Ethan said about his ex, he was relying on him money wise anyway, so…”


“His name is Justin Taylor.” She sighs as she stands. “And Ethan lied, as per usual. Whilst he was being cacophonous on his fiddle, Justin was earning more than enough to support himself; he worked in an upscale restaurant and had some interest in his artwork. He sold one and was very proud of himself, rightly so.” 


“How do you know that?” I frown; to be honest, we didn’t pay much attention to his boyfriends, because he never brought anybody around. But then he introduced us to Justin. Although we met him just once, he and Erin got on well. As I recall, they didn’t stay long.


“He was jealous, you know? That's why we never saw Justin again.” Erin pours herself a glass of water. “He felt left out of the conversation Justin and I were having, because it wasn’t about him. Wonder if that’s when it started?” I shrug, and we lapse into silence. “Is it too early to call Cory? I think he took their attorney’s card, or do you have it?”


“He took it. Let’s call him, then we can set up the meeting.” I roll my shoulders in a futile effort to ease the aching. “So…” I clear my throat. “...how bad did he hurt him?”


“He took a baseball bat to his hands. I’d say you up the hush money, and make sure that the NDA is watertight. Wouldn’t want this to go the way of the Hart campaign of ‘88, would we?!”


JACK’S HOUSE - LATE AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


CLAIRE


Peter looks terrified as he takes in the broken plate and mug. “I will buy it back with some pocket money!” He babbles at dad.


“Don’t be silly, we will simply get some more from the pantry, box on the right.” Dad is beaming. “Debs gave some wonderful dinner service from her and Carl. The only reason she kept it was because Carl handed it to her as a present, not Debs who was, of course, making friends much to JJ’s annoyance. She tried to use that opportunity to keep Carl by her side, which failed as he went straight back to Debs. When everybody left, she put them and the glasses that came with them for best.”


“Let me guess…” John huffs. “...she hid them then was too blotto to remember where?”


“Nope, I moved them and never told her!” Dad hoots. “She has spent the last few years convinced that Debs took it back!” 


“Grandpa!” Peter gasps, giggling. “You’ve got to tell her!”


“Why? It’s been years, Pete! I don’t see what that achieves.” Dad frowns.


“Oh, not that old gorgon! I meant Debs and…” I spot that glint in his eye. “...and reinforce the idea by having her come to dinner.”


“What are you up to, Peter?” John questions.


“Nothing at all.” He grins.


GOLD RESIDENCE, CALIFORNIA - NEXT MORNING


LOUNGE


MEL


“Thank you for agreeing to this meeting so quickly.” Ean Gold smiles. We don’t return it, and they don’t join him. “Obviously, we are very sorry for the pain and anguish Ethan caused. Just…”


“Mr Taylor.” Craig corrects him. “Now I want to go back to my son. He was very distressed but ultimately relieved that this is over…”


“At least you still have your son.” His mother, Petra, weeps.


“And if his son’s best friend hadn’t found him, your son would’ve killed him!” I declare. “You don’t get to play the martyr card; from what I've heard, you effectively disowned him after he was arrested. Tell me, if you had managed to find Mr Taylor, how much would you have paid him? I assume this is why you wanted us to meet?” His parents go red, whilst the stepparents radiate exasperation. It seems that they’ve split into camps; them against their spouses. “How much have you paid out to his other victims in total? This wasn’t his first foray into domestic violence, was it?”


“No, it wasn’t, and far too much!” Cory states. He returns the glare from his parents. “It’s true, whilst we would rather not disclose the total figure, it was less than two mil…”


“Jesus, how many did he attack?!” Craig demands. “How and why didn’t you get him some help?!”


“We tried, but each time he didn’t like...”


“He didn’t like being called on his behaviour, Ean!” Cory fumes. “Let’s not kid ourselves, quite frankly he's in the best place for him.” 


“He's not even buried, and…”


“Can you squabble later?” I order sternly. “What are you offering to buy Mr Taylor’s silence? And where’s your attorney?” I ask, not that I want him here, of course, but one must play the game!


“He's currently with another client.” Erin grimaces. “Seems that now that Ethan is cold, his former agent, is trying to reach a deal that gets him out of jail.”


“Let me guess, they shared the same attorney?” Craig sneers, their silence is answer enough. “Let’s get Justin on the phone, it’s his decision.” 


BRITIN - FIFTEEN MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


BRIAN


We had a better night’s sleep than I thought we would. Jennifer is on her way, she wanted to be on the call with that cuntroach’s family. Mel has been keeping me abreast of things. When we heard about the payouts it really knocked him, so Daph is also coming. He hangs up his cell, then gives me a half beam smile. 


“What’s up?” I ask as I make him a large mug of tea. He sniffs, then smiles properly, if a little watery.


“You’ve been speaking to Jewel?” I nod before handing him the mug. “Did she send the honey as well?”


“Oh that’s what that is.” I hand him the box. “She said to make the valerian one, but I might not like it.”


“It can be a little strong for some, I didn’t like it at first, but then she added honey, so good!”


“Can I try some?” He nods then I take a sip. “Not bad, but definitely needs honey.” I start to make myself one, then feel relief as he begins to make some toast. “So, the call…” 


“Oh, sorry, that was Jewel. She and Blake have finalised the food for Babylon, and have insisted that they bring it over for testing.”


“Would you be up for seeing people?” I frown. “I’m not  mollycoddling.” I add hastily, “...but where the cuntroach is concerned, you tend to get…”


“Blindsided?” He nods, then squeezes my hand. “I’ll be fine. If not, they will be fine with it. Oh, and loving that new moniker for him, very apt, though I wouldn't say it in front of Pearl, Jenny or Reva!”


”Good point, grasshopper.” I massage the base of his skull, goosebumps bloom over his arms and up his neck. “You cold?” I rub his arms.


“Goosebumps don’t necessarily mean cold; that felt very nice.” He murmurs before the toast pops. “Can I pick for you?” 


“Sure.” I know I shouldn’t find it cute, but I do. He has curated his honey; one is for tea and the other for toast, and ne’er the twain should be swapped!  


He opens his box of miniatures, opening each pot and sniffing. He settles on one, then slathers on the butter. I could watch him do that all day. He waits until the butter is at that perfect melting stage before drizzling on the honey, I check out the jar. “Premium oak, sounds very nice, have I had this one?”


“No, have the toast first. It’s very strong, and…”


“I might not need the honey in the tea. Got it.” I take a bite and sigh. “You make the best toast.” I mumble around it. 


“Thanks.” He blushes, then his phone beeps. “Mom’s outside the gates, just going to go and get her.”


“Wait a second.” I pull the hankie out of my pocket. “Just in case she doesn’t have tissues.”


“She always has tissues, but this is much better.” he gives me a quick hug before rushing out. 


“Sometimes Mom is best.” I murmur and decide to call mine.


DEBS AND CARL’S HOUSE - HALF AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


CARL


“What’s up my little buttercup?” I ask as she frowns at her phone. She got a call within seconds of finishing with Brian. “Debs?”


“That was Clare. She wants us to invite Joan for dinner…”


“What for?! And where?!” I gasp.


“At Jack’s house, and, to quote...payback!”


BRITIN - FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE CALL


JUSTIN


“I’m so proud of you, sweetheart.” Mom pours us a glass of wine each. “Don’t take this the wrong way, as you never ‘earn’ hush money, but I’m glad you’ve accepted and what you’re going to do with it. Your Dad will speak to the realtors about the other place, but not before he’s had a bit of a go at his possessions first!”


“I’ll bet, and the cuntroach would be so pissed!” I grin, before lifting my arms so that Brian can put his cashmere sweater on me. I found it in the back of his wardrobe, and asked him why he doesn’t wear something that gorgeous. After he told me it’s because he shrunk it in the wash and how much it cost, I understood why he kept it. Okay, it’s cashmere and from England but £325 had my eyes watering, however, it fits me perfectly, and judging by the admiration, looks good too!  


“Hmm, definitely do not say that in front of them, or…” She winces slightly. “...me. I understand it, but that first…”


“Got it. We won’t do it again.” Brian states, and I nod. “But I concur, using his family’s money to pay off your place in Cali is the perfect bird-flip to him!”


MICHAEL’S NEW HOME - SAME TIME


LINDSAY


I’m stunned and delighted. Delighted, because he’s moved out, and stunned, as he’s actually chosen a decent house in a nice area. “Why Wheeling?” I ask as I survey the gardens. “This must have cost you a pretty penny.”


“It’s an up and coming area. “ He declares. “But this was a steal at $125K!” 


“That's not a steal, that’s daily robbery!” I laugh. “Although, it’s a bit big for just you, isn’t it?”


“Oh, there won’t be just me. George and Dad are moving in too! Want to see inside now?”


“Uh, yes, please.” I follow him in. “Michael, did you say that George and your Dad are moving in with you? Given the relationship status of you two, in such a contained…”


“Lindsay, Dad knows. George and I told him. Although he was shocked, he understands that we didn’t know. We’re just half brothers now. In fact, it was his idea that we all move in together. He wants to reconnect with Reva…”


“Sorry to interrupt, but where did you find this? Are there any other houses for sale?”


“Will send you the link, but what’s got you all frothy all of a sudden?”


“I need to check a few things, but I’m sure that Gus’s and Jenny’s school is nearer here than Britin, as is where Mel works, so it makes perfect sense. I can rent out my place...yes, perfect sense.”


“What does? Are you thinking of moving this way? That’d be cool.” He smiles, I wince at the food in his teeth; his bathroom habits, or precisely the lack thereof, are not something I am going to miss! 


“Oh, not me; Mel and the kids. I think that they should move out here. I’ll move into the cottage and use the barn as my studio as originally planned.”





Justin’s tea and honey

Tea: https://senchateabar.com/blogs/blog/best-tea-for-stress-and-depression

Honey for the tea: https://matersandco.com/collections/honey-bundles

Honey for the toast:

https://matersandco.com/products/strong-taster-set-5-beautiful-sampler-jars?currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-04-14&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlvT8BRDeARIsAACRFiXFJVRNQ1J4tKt7_krQK1ZOPJ1V6SP_-FiK42eME1QYWsOmgU4DLi0aAgPoEALw_wcB&variant=34481979687078

Brian’s jumper:

https://www.johnstonsofelgin.com/retail/classic-marine-blue-mens-zip-neck-jumper.html

 

Chapter End Notes:

If reviewing, please be kind and constructive. Thx