- Text Size +

 

 

Chapter 2

 

JUSTIN:

 

What a waste of my day! Daphne stopped by this morning, reminding me that today is Molly's birthday.

 

After Daphne gets an eyeful of Brian in the nude, Brian leaves for a meeting with his new trainer, nagging me about the alarm as he shuts the door behind him. While I draw a picture of Molly for her birthday present, Daphne and I talk about everything. I've been feeling kind of under the weather lately, and Daphne thinks I should go to a doctor. There's just no way I feel I could go. I have no money, and I really don't want to ask either Brian or my mother for money. My picture finally finished, we set out to leave.

 

"Don't forget. Brian said to ‘be sure to set the alarm'," Daphne reminds me.

 

I sigh, feeling like some small child being told to make sure my shoelaces are tied. "Daphne, I know what he said. Brian is very anal about some things, and securing the loft is one of them." I smirk. "I bet you can't guess the alarm code."

 

"If Brian is truly the horndog as you say he is, I'd bet it's 6969."

 

I feign a shocked expression. "Why Daphne, wherever did you learn terminology like that?"

 

"Duh, you!"

 

I grin. "Well, you'd be correct. That's exactly what it is." Chuckling, I add, "How he expects no one to be able to guess it is beyond me." So, I punch in the first 69, and Daphne punches in the second 69.

 

~ ¤ ~

 

I didn't stay very long at Molly's party. Mom said she wanted me to reconsider coming home, but when I asked about 'the rules' Dad wanted to be imposed, well, let's just say she seemed more concerned with Dad's feelings than mine.

 

Now I'm walking around. I'm depressed by Mom's words, and I just feel like being alone for a while. It has been unseasonably warm lately for October. I remember Grandma Hartley using the term 'Indian summer' when I was small. I guess I should head back to the loft, as Brian should be home soon.

 

~ ¤ ~

 

WOW! Brian is ranting and raving. Then there's stupid Michael standing there with his hand over his mouth. He's probably trying hard not to laugh. He never has hidden his feelings about me, at least when Brian is not around. When Brian is, he acts completely different towards me. Why did Brian have to call him? I'm sure he's enjoying my humiliation. This isn't even my fault. Daphne was here. She knows I didn't forget!

 

 

"JUSTIN!!" Brian's eyes are ablaze, his face contorted with rage. But even as I flinch from his reaction, I don't back down.

 

"What? What do you want me to say, Brian?"

 

"I asked, what were you doing while I was getting robbed? I told you there were rules if you were going to live here. I couldn't have made it any clearer that the loft is always supposed to be locked when you leave!"

 

"Brian, I did..."

 

"No. You. Did. Not!"

 

"I went for a walk after I left Molly's birthday party. I wasn't feeling good, and I wanted some fresh air." I know it was probably more of an emotional reaction to my visit back home than a physical one, however. But Brian is acting like he doesn't hear me. Instead, he towers over me, his eyes dark with fury; I have never seen him so angry.

 

"Well, you have five minutes to pack your shit, none of which was stolen, and get the fuck out of my loft and out of MY life!!!"

 

 

"Where am I supposed to go? I can't go back home, Brian. You know that better than anyone."

 

"I don't give a fuck where you go. Sleep in the park for all I care. Just GET... OUT!!!"

 

~ ¤ ~

 

Daphne's House

 

"Daphne, what am I going to do?" I ask my best friend as we both sit cross-legged on her bed. "Brian wouldn't even let me defend myself. I tried to tell him I DID set the alarm, but he wouldn't even let me talk."

 

"Justin, I was there. I SAW you set the alarm. I even set the last two numbers! I just don't get it. How could this have happened?"

 

I shake my head. "I don't know, Daph. But it seems like everybody has a key to his place, not just me. And he brings home so many tricks, it's like he has a revolving door. So why is he so quick to blame ME? The whole thing doesn't make any sense."

 

"Well, my parents said you could stay here for a few weeks until you can figure something out. How about that one waitress? The crazy one? She seems to like you a lot."

 

"No way! That's Michael's mother! She probably wouldn't let me stay there anyway, once she finds out Brian is blaming me for the loft being robbed." I briefly cradle my head in my hands, my elbows resting on my knees, before I reply "I don't know what I'm going to do, Daph. But I can't go home."

 

~ ¤ ~

 

One Week Later...

 

I'm half-lying on the bathroom floor, my cheek pressed against the porcelain god, as I literally puke my guts up. Daphne keeps putting fresh, cool cloths on my face and neck.

 

"Justin, I'm really getting worried. You've been complaining about not feeling well for the last month, and now you've been throwing up for the last three days. Come on; I'm taking you to the doctor."

 

"I can't, Daphne. I have no money."

 

"I'll pay. I have the emergency credit card my parents gave me. Just come on. You're really worrying me. You hardly eat anything anymore, and you're losing weight. How can you throw up that much?"

 

"I don't know, Daph. But it feels like my insides are coming up every time I get sick."

 

My friend's voice is firm as she tells me in no uncertain terms, "Get in the shower. We're skipping school, and I'm taking you to the emergency room."

 

Reluctantly, I agree.

 

~ ¤ ~

 

"Hello, I'm Dr. Daniels. What seems to be your problem today?"

 

"Dr. Daniels, I'm Daphne and this is my friend, Justin. He's been feeling sick for the last month and has been vomiting non-stop for three days."

 

"Any change in your diet that could be the cause of this? Any stress?"

 

"I've had a lot of stress in my life lately. My father recently asked me to leave home, and I was staying with a friend, but now he's kicked me out, too. As far as changes in my eating, I have no appetite, and usually, it's just the opposite."

 

The doctor sits on a nearby stool and nods. "That could be caused by stress. I'm going to have my nurse come in and draw some blood, and then I'll be in to take a look at you."

 

The nurse who draws my blood shortly afterward reminds me a little of Debbie, all bubbly and chatty. Neither Daphne nor I have ever been afraid of needles or the sight of blood, so the whole process goes by quickly.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Dr. Daniels comes back in with a strange look on his face.

 

"Justin, how old are you?"

 

I frown at his question. "Seventeen. Why?"

 

"How long have you been sexually active?"

 

I notice an increased pressure on my hand that Daphne has been holding.

 

"Oh God, doctor. Justin's not sick, is he? I'll kill Brian if he is!"

 

"No, nothing like that. But I think we've pinpointed the cause of his nausea."

 

I'm both relieved as well as perplexed now. "I'm not following you, doctor. What exactly is wrong with me?"

 

The doctor pauses. "Well, it seems that congratulations are in order, Justin. You're about two months pregnant."

 

WHAT??? Pregnant?

 

Oh my God! Justin is pregnant!

 

My mouth hangs open in shock. Of all the possibilities regarding my nausea, that has never entered my mind. "What do you mean pregnant, doc? I've always used a cond..." My voice trails off as a memory suddenly flashes through my mind. Oh, shit...

 

"What's that, Justin?"

 

"Um, about two months ago a condom slipped off my boyfriend during sex. We did go in and get tested the next day, but we were both clean."

 

"You realize you will need to repeat that procedure next month, right?"

 

"Yes, they told us to come back in three months to repeat the test to be sure."

 

"Alright. Let me get a little more information, then. How many sexual partners have you had, and have you ever not used protection?"

 

I feel my face warm as I tell him, "I've only had one sexual partner. Although, my kind-of boyfriend has had quite a few." Hmpf. Major understatement there.

 

"So, there's no doubt whose baby it is?"

 

"No, absolutely none. It has to be Brian's."

 

The doctor nods as he jots down some notes. "Okay, I will refer you to an ob-gyn that specializes in male pregnancy. Would you prefer a male or a female gynecologist?"

 

I look over at my friend, bewildered by what I have just been told. "Daph? Do you have any suggestions?"

 

"Do you want another man checking you down there?"

 

I blush at the thought. "Doctor, I think I'd prefer a woman."

 

"Alright, I'll get you set up with Dr. Bishop, then. She's in her mid-thirties and I think she will work best for you. Her receptionist will call you with a time to come in. Please take any medical information for yourself or the other father that could be pertinent to your treatment and care. You can get dressed now. Good luck, young man. I wish you the best."

 

"Thanks, doctor." I shake my head, still in shock as I hear Daphne asking him some parting questions. I'm too stunned to think clearly at the moment.

 

"Doctor, in the meantime, can you give Justin something for the nausea? And does he need any vitamins?"

 

"I'll leave two prescriptions at the reception desk - one for nausea and one for a month's supply of prenatal vitamins. Please ask Dr. Bishop to prescribe more when you see her."

 

~ ¤ ~

 

One Week Later...

 

"Justin, I don't care what you say. You have to talk to Brian!"

 

"Daphne, he made it clear he didn't want anything to do with me. He told me to get out and stay out of his life! Besides, I'm sure he doesn't want to be a father, anyway. He has Gus, whom he rarely sees now. No, there's no point in dragging him into this." I close my eyes, desperately hoping this was all a dream, but knowing it isn't, before I turn to look into her sympathetic face. "Oh, Daph, what the fuck am I gonna do?"

 

Daphne's not to be dissuaded. "Well, for starters, you and I are going down to Woody's or Babylon tonight, and you, my friend, are going to talk to Brian. He won't scream at you there. He might actually listen. You HAVE to tell him."

 

"I don't know, Daph. I think it will be a big mistake."

 

~ ¤ ~

 

Babylon, 11 PM

 

Daphne and I have been searching Babylon for about five minutes when my arm is roughly grabbed, and I almost lose my balance. I look up to see a very angry-looking Michael.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"I came to see Brian."

 

"Well, he's in the backroom, where he belongs! Now that he's finally rid of you, he's back to being himself. Why are you looking for him, anyway? And why is your little fag hag with you?"

 

"None of your business, Michael! I just need to speak to Brian; then I'll be leaving."

 

"No."

 

"No? What do you mean, no?"

 

"Brian told you to get lost. He told you to get out of his life. I will not allow you to mess with him again. Go on; get out of here! If you don't, I'll get a bouncer to throw you out! You're underage. They shouldn't have let you in here to begin with. I'll call the cops if I have to. Now leave! You're not wanted anymore! Brian finally wised up and kicked your ass to the curb."

 

"I'm not afraid of you!" I can't help yelling at him. But I also don't want to get tangled up with the cops under the circumstances, either.

 

Daphne grabs my arm to restrain me from doing something I might regret later. "Come on, Justin. I'm sorry I had you come down here. Brian's apparently having his little lapdog fight his battles for him."

 

"Get. Out. Of. Here! I'm calling the cops!"

 

"Fine, we're leaving." There is NO way in hell I'm going to tell this hateful, possessive ‘friend' of Brian's why I need to talk to him. I won't give him the satisfaction, since I know he would just distort it somehow to blame me for my present condition. I can't help one more jab, however. "Are you happy now, Mikey? You've got Brian all to yourself now. You've wanted me gone since that first night Brian took me home and fucked me. Well, congratulations! You got your wish! But if you think he's going to magically fall in love with you and fuck you now, you are totally deluded!" I angrily brush away the tears that fall down my face - damn hormones! - as I glare daggers at him before turning on my heel and heading toward the entrance with Daphne right behind me.

 

TBC