- Text Size +

Chapter 1 


“Fuck you,” Gus said under his breath so Brian wouldn’t hear him.  He texted his mom, Mel, ‘Come pick me up’ and started putting his computer in his bag as well as a sketchbook and a couple other things he brought back and forth between his homes.

Mel responded, ‘Need to clear it with B or J’.

‘FUCK’, was Gus’ response to her. 

Justin entered the master to find Brian staring out the window into the backyard where GC was laying in the shade.  “He misses Aiden,” Brian said flatly.  “So do I.”

“He is only gone for the weekend. You know he is having a great time at Molly’s with Tasha.  He loves his cousin. And Molly is one of the few people I trust him with.  I know she would never forget his medication,” Justin had a hard time letting him stay anywhere.  Even sending him to kindergarten this year was hard.  “He has been doing so well but I can’t forget how little it would take to get him really sick again.” Justin looked at Brian again and hoped he would say something but  he just stared into the yard.  Justin touched his shoulder, “Do you want me to go talk to him?”

“By talk, do you mean shake some sense into him?” Brian glared at Justin but as Justin turned to walk away, Brian reached out and pulled him close, “I’m sorry.  You are not to blame for this.” 

After they had kissed, Brian’s phone signaled.  “I will go check on Gus, you check out your message.”  Justin kissed him once more and headed for Gus’ room.  He knocked on the door and stepped in.

“Can’t you leave me the hell ….” Gus realized it wasn’t Brian and stopped. 

“Hey, Gus. Can we talk about it?”

“Why? You are just going to take his side.”

“That’s not fair.  I don’t take sides.”

“It doesn’t matter.  Mama Mel is coming to get me.”

“No, she is not!” Brian came in without knocking.

“Have you forgotten how to knock now?” Gus glared at his father. “And what do you mean she isn’t coming.”

“It is your weekend to stay here with us.  She texted and asked if she needed to come and I told her, no.”

“I don’t want to stay here! Why should I want to stay where I can’t even spend time at my friends’ places.”

“Gus, last time we allowed you to go to one of their places we couldn’t get ahold of you for almost 24 hours.”

“My moms don’t care.”

“Gus, I can’t set the rules at their place but here I can.”

“Orders are more like it,”    Gus looked defiantly at Brian.

Brian walked over and took the bag off of Gus’ shoulder, “Sit down and stay awhile. You aren’t going anywhere.” Brian walked out with the backpack in his hand.

“YOU CAN’T TAKE THAT…”  Gus was yelling as Brian disappeared.  “Dad?” he looked at Justin.  “He can’t do that!  My computer is in there.  My phone is in there. What am I supposed to do? Does he really want me to hate him this much?” Gus looked up and saw his gaming system, “At least I have that.”

“Gus, what started all this?”

“You were going to say, ‘this time’ weren’t you?”

“No, I wasn’t.  You two are so similar.”

“I am nothing like him!”

“Oh, Gus, you are so much like him.  He knows the trouble he had and he is just trying to save you some of that…”

“I don’t want to be anything like him.  He is an overbearing, pompous ass that doesn’t care if…”

“Whoa, Gus, that’s enough. If Brian didn’t care he wouldn’t be on you like this.”

“Can’t you get him to change his mind?” Gus sat in front of the TV and started the game system but it would not connect. “He turned off the internet! Please, Dad….”

“I agree with him about you staying here.  Last time you weren’t responsible enough to let us know where you were.”

“But, Dad…” Gus’ voice began to whine.

“I will work on getting the internet back for you and then I will see about the bag.” Justin walked to the door, “Gus, I love you.  I know you don’t care right now but you’re my son and both of us just want what is best for you.”

“The only reason you even know I’m here this weekend is because Aiden isn’t.” Gus walked to his bed and flopped down on his stomach.

Justin opened his mouth but shut it again and walked out and headed back to the master bedroom. He was greeted by the dog. “Hey, boy, did you get tired of waiting for Aiden?  I think Gus could use your company. Go find Gus.” Justin pointed to the door and GC trotted out of the door.  

Brian was sitting on the bed, pulling things out of Gus’ bag. He dropped down next to him and put his arm around Brian’s waist, “Are you sure you should be going through that bag?”

“Justin, we both know he is using something.  I just don’t know what.”

“He is very upset, especially since you cut off the internet and you have his computer and his phone.”

“Little good that does.  We don’t have his pass codes to either of them.”

“Don’t we?” Justin took the laptop and went into the administrator section.  He typed a few keys and it came to life.  A beautiful actress filled the screen. 

“Damn, I hoped it wasn’t true,” Brian kissed Justin, smiling a little.  “How did you know how to get into that?”

“Before I gave it to him at Christmas, I set that part up.  The phone isn’t as easy but we do have parental controls on it so we can go onto the website and check out his texts. Of course, we can’t do that with the internet shut off.”

“Are you saying I should put it back on?”

“I think we need to check out his bag and decide if we need to worry.” Justin commented as he started looking in the bag.  “What did Mel say in her text?”

“That she didn’t have time for Gus this weekend.”

“She really did?”

“I get the feeling she isn’t with Lindsay. They may be taking the weekend off from each other. It is no wonder Gus is always ready for a fight.  That’s all they do.”

Justin was very thorough and soon found a couple small empty plastic bags stuck between the liner and a zipper. Without a word he handed them to Brian.

“Shit!  I was expecting a baggy of pot.  I was hoping …. “ he took the small bags. “No powder which I figured.  There is no way to know what kind of pills were in these.         

While Brian took a look at the bags, Justin was looking through emails on Gus’ computer.  “He doesn’t use email for anything but school work.”

“Damn, can you see his texts through your phone?”

Justin tapped here and there, moved from on screen to another and then said softly, “Bingo.” He handed his phone over to Brian who read through correspondence between Gus and his two best friends.  They were definitely experimenting. “Brian, you can see they are leading him to it at first but then it looks like they tried something and from that text on, Gus is an equal partner in it all. Brian, maybe a trip to the cabin will help.  Gus will be done with school in another month.  Maybe a trip up there will be what he needs to think straight.  Without the pressures of school or his moms, maybe that is all he will need.  We both know he is a good kid. He is just losing his way right now.”  Justin turned Brian’s head to look at him, eye to eye.  “What were you doing at 15, Brian?”

“That’s what scares the hell out of me,” Brian pulled Justin close.

“What started all this, Brian.  What happened tonight?”

“He asked for money and I said no.  He gets a good allowance and if he needs something for school, all he has to do is ask but he needs to learn to budget his fun money. I have a feeling Mel and Lindz have been giving him more. I wish those two…” There was a knock on the door. Justin quickly shut Gus’ computer and pushed it away from him.

“Come in, Gus.” Justin said as he rested against Brian who tightened his arms.

“I just wanted to say….Dad, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have gotten so mad at you. I….my friends just really wanted me to come over and…”

“And if you act like that one of your moms usually gives in?” Justin said with a softness in his voice that didn’t sound like he was accusing anyone of anything.

“Well, they are easy to distract lately.”

“Gus,” Brian stood and walked over to his son.  “Is there anything else going on? Something we should know?”

“No! Like what?” Gus’ gaze would not stay on Brian. 

“Gus, we just know that your moms, well, they are struggling so if we can help them out by helping you out, we’d be glad to do that,” Justin said, not wanting Brian to push him too much right now. “I don’t want to sound like an old guy but you know we are always here for you and between the two of us, we have been through a lot and done a lot of things we aren’t proud of so…”

“Thanks, but I’m good.  Dad, I said I’m sorry.  May I please have my bag back and get wifi back?”

“Ok, but tell your friends you aren’t available all weekend.”

“But, Dad….” the look on Brian’s face shut Gus down, “Ok,I got it.”

“Since Aiden won’t be back until tomorrow night, why don’t we plan something to do tomorrow, something we don't usually do because Aid is too small.”

“Ok, I’ll think about it.” 

Justin stuffed Gus’ stuff back in the backpack and handed it to him. “Gus, we do love you.”

“Ya, I know,” Gus raised the bag a bit and said, “Thanks,” and he left their room.

Once they knew he was out of earshot, Brian said, “So you didn’t want me to push the subject?”

“Bri, it wouldn’t have gotten us anywhere tonight.  I think we need to meet with Mel and Lindz and hopefully they will agree with our trip to Montana. I would rather we don’t have to push them.”

“You are right as always.”

“Ooo, I like the sound of that.  If I’m always right I think it is time for bed, now.”

“Who am I to argue with that.”

“Dad, the wifi?”

“Two minutes, Gus.  He needs to kiss me first,” Justin called back as his mouth turned up to Brian’s and Brian graciously obliged.


The next morning, Brian and Justin lay in bed.  They were both coated in a sheen of sweat.  “Damn, that was good.” Brian sighed as Justin’s hand ran down Brian’s abdomen. 

“So where do you think Gus will want to go today?” Justin asked as his fingers began to play with Brian’s pubic hair. 

“I have no idea. At his age where would you have gone?”

“I loved art museums but on a day like this, it looks like it will be amazing out, I’d say, let’s go to Kennywood.  Who doesn’t love an amusement park?”

“I remember Gus the first time we took him there.  He went on rides until he was sick.” Brian took in a quick breath at Justin’s touch.

“And he talked about it non-stop for the next two weeks.” Justin smiled at the memory as he turned over and kissed Brian.  “Let’s go shower.  I doubt he will be awake for a while but if he thought of some place to go he may be up on time.”

When they got out of the shower, Justin pulled on a robe and went to check if Gus was awake.  It was nearly 9:00 so he thought he would check on Gus while Brian went to make coffee.  Neither dressed because they weren’t sure where they were going. Justin opened the door and Gus was sprawled across his bed.

“What do you want?” Gus said without looking to see who it was.

“Good Morning to you, too.  We were just wondering if you had decided what we were doing today.”

“Oh, well… can we just go to the mall? I could use some new stuff for summer.”

“You want to go shopping? We were thinking maybe the amusement park or….”

“NO!” Gus snapped. He took a breath.  “Let’s just go to the mall for lunch and then I can tell you what I need.” It sounded like an order. 

“Gus, I love you, but I can’t say I appreciate your tone and if you talk to your dad like that I have a feeling you will be without wifi a lot longer than an hour.”

Gus just shrugged, “I’ll be ready at noon.” Justin opened his mouth to say more but left without saying more.  Once he was sure he was gone, Gus pulled the empty bottle out from under him. That had been really close.  He had fallen asleep before he could hide it. He better be more careful. Once they got to the mall he would hook up with his friends.  They said they would have some pot for him and if not pot, his friend promised he could take some of the adderall they had in the bathroom.  No one would notice a couple pills missing.  He couldn’t stay with his moms without something to soften the atmosphere.  If he could manage it, he planned to spend most nights between his friends’ houses. When he was there he could forget everything. He set a timer for 45 minutes and then laid back down to sleep a few more minutes.

Justin took Brian’s cup of coffee out of his hand and took a large swallow. Brian filled another mug and exchanged the fresh one for the one Justin had taken.  “So what are we doing today?”

“We are going to the mall.  Shopping.  Our straight 15 year old son wants to go shopping.
Why does that just sound wrong?”

“Well, maybe we have been looking at this wrong.  Maybe there is a girl, not drugs.” Brian gently pressed against Justin’s hips with his own.  

“Brian, his room smelled of whiskey.  Is there a bottle missing?”

“Do you have any idea of how many we had in the cupboard?”

“No, not a clue.  I think after this weekend we will store the extra in a locked cabinet.”

“I think making the temptation a little harder is a good idea.  He said he would be ready at noon.”

“Well, since we have plenty of time, I am going to sit on the patio and play fetch with GC and hopefully talk to Aiden for a few minutes. At least I hope Aiden will be happy to talk to me.”

As he started to walk away Brian grabbed his hand, “Was Gus rude?”

“Probably no ruder than most 15 year olds but he has always been such a sweet kid.  I don’t like this new Gus very much.”

“I’ll talk to him.”

“Don’t, Bri.  It won’t help. Hopefully, we can keep a close eye on him the next month and then get him away…”

“Ok, but I won’t put up with him being disrespectful to you of all people.”

“This will pass. Now, let’s go call the son that loves us.”

Justin called Molly as Brian played with Gray Cub.  “Hey, bro, checking up on my parenting skills?”

“I know you are an amazing parent, Mol, but I miss my guy.  Is he doing alright? Is he taking his medicine?”

“Of course he is.” Molly called out, “Aiden, your dads are on the phone.”  Justin heard little footsteps.

“Hi, Daddy. Why are you calling me? Tasha and I were watching a movie.  Pretty soon Aunt Molly is taking us to that big playground.  You know the one I mean.  I can’t…”

“Aid, you don’t even know which dad you are talking to?”

“Of course I did.  I knew it was you. Big Daddy is probably sitting next to you and rubbing GC’s tummy.  He will tell me he loves me before we hang up.”

“How did you get so smart? You have learned a lot this year in kindergarten.”

“Of course, I learned a lot but I always know my dads.  Is Gus there?”

“Um, Gus is probably in the shower right now.”

“Is he still mad?”

“Mad, why do you ask if he is mad?”

Aiden was silent for a moment and then said, "He just seems mad all the time lately.”

“He hasn’t been mad at you, has he?”

“No, not really, he just never wants to play anymore.”

“Well, we hope that changes soon.” Brian threw the ball once more and then took the phone out of Justin’s hand.

“Hey, Aiden, what are you and Tasha up to?”

“I just told Daddy that we are going to that great big playground that has all the fun slides and swings.”

“That sounds like a lot of fun. Take good care of your aunt Molly and Tasha.”

“I will, Big Daddy.  Are you going to say it?”

“Say what?” Brian was a bit confused.

“Aren’t you going to tell me how much you love me?”

“Ah, Aiden, I do love you, so much.”

“I love you, too, Big Daddy.”  Brian passed the phone back to Justin and kissed his cheek as he called for GC as he walked into the house.   “Daddy, are you there?”

“I am Aiden.  You have a good time and make sure you listen to Aunt Molly.  And don’t forget to drink plenty of water.”

“I know, Daddy.   Love you.”

“Oh, I love you, too, son. I miss you so much. I will see you tonight.”


Gus walked into the kitchen and drank some orange juice out of the carton. Brian looked at him and almost said something about a hangover but he knew Justin was probably right.  As long as they kept close tabs on him for the next month, he would be alright.  Then they could take him to Montana and although he was sure it wouldn’t be easy, he was sure they could get through to him.

“So are we going or what?” Gus mumbled.

“Good morning to you, too,” Brian responded wanting to say more but stopping himself.  “As soon as Justin says goodbye to Aiden I think he will be ready.”

“The kid will be home tonight. Why did he have to call him now?”

Brian turned and looked at him and as he opened his mouth to respond, Justin walked in. “Hey, Gus, Aided says hi.”

“Ya, are we going now?” Gus asked.

“Gus, we are just going to the mall.  I didn’t know we had a time schedule to follow. Did you decide you wanted to see a movie or something?”

Gus paused a minute, “No, guess I am just hungry.” It was obvious he was still anxious but he had taken control of his emotions and tried to talk without the angst in his voice.


Twenty minutes later they pulled into a parking spot.  Gus stopped his dads for a second, “Don’t embarrass me, ok?”

“Gus, how would we embarrass you?” Justin asked.

“Dad, you’re kidding right? Do you think you can go without touching while we’re here?”

“Like no touching at all? Aren’t we here to have a nice family day?  You chose the activity,” Brian said as he pulled Justin against him as they stood next to the vehicle.

“Like that!  God, you have been together forever.  It can’t be that you are turned on that much.”

“Oh, Gus, you could only be lucky enough to find someone you can’t get enough of,” Justin kissed Brian and took a step back.  “But we will do our best to behave.” Justin looked at Brian and he nodded.

“So where are we eating?” Brian said, taking a step away from Justin.

“I was thinking wings.” 

“Now, I can do that,” Brian said.

“Remember, Brian, no touching,” Justin reminded him.

“Damn, does that mean I can’t suck off each of your fingers when they…”

“Seriously, you two.  We aren’t even in the building yet and you’re already talking about sex.”

“Would you rather we just yell at each other like your moms,” Brian commented.

“Brian, don’t….” Justin warned.

“Fuck you!” Gus said and jogged to the building ahead of them.

“What was that supposed to do?”  Justin asked him.

“I just… I know. I just don’t get him. We need to talk to his moms, maybe tonight.”

“Let me find him and we will meet you at the Wing Shack,” Justin kissed Brian as he walked away. “Oh, and call Lindz about tonight.”

It took Justin twenty minutes to locate Gus. He had walked past this spot more than once but now Gus was sitting there like he had been there all the time. “There you are.” Justin sat down next to him.

“Why do you stay with him.  He is such an asshole!”  Gus looked at Justin, “Ok, maybe that isn’t the right way to say it to my gay father but…”

‘Gus, he loves you and he’s worried about you.”

“Why is he worried?”

“Well, your moms are having issues…”

“And he has no right to talk about them, behind their back.”

“Gus, you know he cares about your moms.”

“Ya, but he still doesn’t have to talk about them.” As Justin talked to him he saw Gus relaxing.  It reminded him of back in his party days.  Had Gus scored something in the short time they were separate.

“He’s waiting for us.  We just want to have some fun.  I know you would rather spend time with your friends but since you have been sneaking around lately,” he saw Gus starting to open his mouth and continued, “like drinking a bottle of whiskey last night.” Gus’ eyes opened wide.  “And it’s not that you drank. That’s not a huge deal.  The problem is you are just keeping us out of your life.”  Now he waited but Gus didn’t say anything.  “Let’s go find Bri before he comes to look for us.  He loves you, Gus.  We both do.  If we didn’t, we wouldn’t care what you did.”

“Ya, I know. I’m hungry.  Let’s go get wings.  What do you think, 6 flavors?”

“That sounds like more than we need but I am sure we can talk him into it.” 

Brian sat on a bench but didn’t say anything.  He stood and was going to kiss Justin but then remembered his promise and just stopped near them. He was going to let Justin take the lead in the conversation.  He hated fighting with Gus.  It reminded him too much of his relationship with his dad minus the physical stuff.

“Are you ready for a sampler platter? We are thinking 6 different flavors and fries.”

“And fried pickles.  This place has the best fried pickles.” And like that the tension seemed to be out of the air.

They each chose two flavors of wings and put in the order, along with the fried pickles and a big basket of fries. “By the time I finish this meal I will need to figure out some way to work off all these calories,” Justin commented as he looked around at the basket of food on other tables.

Brian opened his mouth to say something but shut it again.  He was trying to behave himself.

Gus started laughing, “You better say it, Dad, or you might have an aneurysm. Just no actions, please!”

“Thank you!” Brian patted Gus’ shoulder.  “Sunshine, I know the perfect workout to burn off those calories and I plan to show you every move once we are home.” Justin’s hand slid under the table and squeezed Brian’s upper thigh. “Now that is not fair!” 

Justin winked at Gus and then brought his hand back to the top of the table. Justin was glad Gus seemed more relaxed and was enjoying himself. He obviously hadn’t taken anything too mind altering.  It probably was just a joint and it had calmed his anxiety.  The way he dove into the food once it arrived just reinforced his theory.  Gus obviously had the munchies.  They laughed and enjoyed each other’s company as they worked their way through all the food.

Gus talked about his friends and how excited he was for school to be done for the summer. He talked about his plans with his friends. Brian and Justin glanced at each other and they silently agreed they were not going to mention the trip yet. Maybe today would be the turn around.  Maybe they would take a short vacation to the cabin like they always did and then Gus could have a normal summer with friends.

They spent the next couple hours shopping for Gus and although he didn’t think Brian noticed, Justin now knew he had been right.  Maybe it wasn’t just a joint because whatever Gus had done, he was now tired and getting moody again. Justin managed to make everyone think it was their idea to go home.  He reminded Gus he wanted to do a couple things before he was picked up and, to get Brian ready to go home, he commented about the workout he needed. It wasn’t long before Gus was in the backseat with several packages and Brian was out in the flow of traffic.  

By the time they arrived at home, Gus grabbed his bags, and without a word, he went up to his room. Brian walked around to Justin and pulled him close, kissing him long and hard. “Damn, I have wanted to do that since lunch.  And what has gotten into him now?”

“By the time I found him before lunch, he had taken something.  It may have just been some weed or an edible but I could see it wearing off when we were shopping. And,” he pressed against Brian once more, “I think you promised me a workout.”  Brian turned him toward the door and propelled him toward it.

Once they were up in their room they started undressing each other.  Justin’s tongue traveled along Brian’s jawline and as he got to his chin, he was going to work his way lower but instead he felt himself being lifted off the floor and Brian set him on the edge of the dresser before moving his hand between Justin’s legs and when he found the spot he was looking for he sank his finger into him.  He began to stroke him slowly and soon Justin was cumming all over both of them.  And before he could get his breath completely Brian had pulled him off his perch and before Justin knew what was happening, Brian had him leaning over a chair and was plunging into him.  Justin was still buzzing from the last orgasm and Brian’s entrance had him instantly back into another spasm and Brian soon followed.


“Are you still screwing or can I come in?” Gus said at the door.

Brian and Justin had just gotten out of the shower and they both grabbed their robes.  “Come in, Gus,” Justin called to him. 

“You know a lot of your friends would be thrilled to know their parents were in love,” Brian wrapped his arms around Justin from behind. 

“You two are gross.”

“Did you need something? Your moms aren’t here yet, are they?”

“No, I just wanted to get your signature on something,” he handed a pen and paper to Brian.

“What is this?”

“Nothing important. Just a permission slip for…”

“Gus, this isn’t a permission slip.  Did you think I forgot how to read?”

Justin took it from him and looked at it, “Oh, Gus, how did this happen?”  The paper he was holding told them that Gus was failing English and that if he didn’t complete a project, specified in the note, he would need to repeat the class the next year.

“He obviously has decided his friends and their hobbies are much more important than school work.” 

“My friends have nothing to do with it.  I just hate reading that old English stuff.  It makes no sense and…”

Justin interrupted, “And if you had told us this we would have gotten you a tutor.”

“I’m not spending my free time with some bookworm.  I…”

“You aren’t going anywhere until we know you are passing that class,” Brian broke in.

“You can’t decide that!  I will be living with my moms and they don’t care.” Gus walked over and grabbed the paper.  I should have just had them sign it in the first place.”

“What the hell is going on with you?” Brian asked but Gus was already at the door.  “We are having a drink with your moms tonight. This isn’t over, Gus.”

“Why the hell are you meeting with them?”  Now Gus had some nervousness in his voice.

Brian opened his mouth but Justin touched his arm. Justin softly said,“We are worried about you, Gus.  We just want you to be happy and for you to succeed.”

“You just want me to be some boring nobody.  That’s not who I am.  That’s not who my friends are.” With that Gus ran out the door toward his room.  

By the time Brian and Justin were dressed and got downstairs, they saw Mel’s car pull out of the drive.  “They are coming tonight, right?” Justin asked Brian.

“Yes.  They are coming around 8:30.”

“It’s not going to be pleasant, is it?”

“No.  I don’t think having those two in the same room is ever pleasant anymore and now we are wanting to talk about an unpleasant issue. No matter what happens it won’t be enjoyable.” Brian guided Justin to the back door to sit outside.

“I wish they would just call it quits.  Do they think this is a good thing for Gus?”  Justin asked as he sat next to Justin and GC came over and put his head on Brian’s leg.

“I think they are so absorbed in their own disdain for each other that they have forgotten why they were trying to make it work.”

“Justin, I am going to fight them for custody if they don’t get their shit together. You are alright with that, aren’t you?”

“You know I would do anything for that young man.”

“I know but it isn’t going to be easy and we have Aiden to think about.”

“He would never hurt Aiden.”

“I agree but he could distract us from Aiden.”

“Brian, he is as much our son as Aiden. We are a family and I will do anything for our family.” 

“You back here?” Molly’s voice came from the other side of the back fence.

“Oh, ya, Molly.  I’m coming.” Justin went over and unlocked the gate and was nearly knocked over by the small boy rushing him. “Hey, Aid!” Justin scooped him up and hugged him.

“Daddy, I had so much fun but I missed you.”

“Oh, I missed you too. Let me say goodbye to Aunt Molly and you go say hi to Big Daddy.” Justin set Aiden down and he quickly gave Molly a hug before running to Brian.  Now Justin hugged his sister, “Everything go alright?”

“It was. Tasha loves having him around and I need to go.  Spenc has to go into work so he is spending a little time with Tasha until I get back.  By the way, he is very tired. I did get him to rest this afternoon as they watched a movie but they had so much fun playing.”

“He’ll be fine.  I will get him an early dinner and then to bed early.  Thanks, Mol.  I’m glad you had a nice weekend.”

“You know he is no trouble.”

“I know that’s a lie but I know you love him and Tasha loves it when he is around.“

“He is such a sweet boy.  I can only love him.” Molly waved and left. 

Aiden was curled up on Brian’s lap and GC had jumped up next to them on the bench.  They had gotten used to Aiden being tired after a weekend like this. At first it worried about that but Dr. Victor, Ted’s husband, assured them he needed to be a little boy.  They would just have to make sure he rested afterward.  As long as his color was good, he took it easy, and he ate, he was fine.

Justin kissed both of them, “I am going to make Aiden something for dinner.  Are you hungry? I am still full.”

“I am good for now. Aiden can tell me all about his weekend while you make him something to eat.”

An hour later, Aiden was in his bed, asleep.  It was only about 7:30 but he was totally wiped out.  They went down and together they made a charcuterie plate and opened a couple of bottles of wine and waited for Mel and Lindsay to arrive. 

They heard the women before the doorbell even rang.  Brian walked over and opened the door but before he even let them in he stood there waiting for them to stop arguing and when they finally were quiet, Brian spoke, “Aiden is asleep and he has had a busy weekend.  He needs to sleep.  Can you be grownups that long?”

“How is Aiden doing? Is he sick again?”

Justin hugged both of them, “He is fine.  He spent time with Molly and her family so he had a great weekend but the poor little guy now has to spend a couple days playing catch up.”  Justin led them into the den where the wine and snacks were.

For the first few minutes they exchanged pleasantries. “Help yourself.  We took Gus out for wings and ate so much we knew we couldn’t eat much tonight,”  Brian said as he grabbed a piece of cheese.

“Well, Mel shouldn’t be hungry either.  I am sure she had a big lunch with, what’s her name?” Lindsay glared at Mel.  Mel just glared at her.

“OK, if that’s the way it’s going to be shut up and listen,” Brian said.

“Kinney, you may be able to talk like that to other people but….”

“Shut up, Mel.  We need to talk about our son,” Mel scowled but sat back.  “Do you have any idea what Gus has been taking?”

“What do you mean taking? He hasn’t stolen something has he?”

“Well, not that I know of but it won’t be long if he keeps up the way he is going.  Did you know he is failing English.  He drank a bottle of whiskey last night and today, we don’t know what he took, but he either smoked a joint or had edibles or something.”

“You’re one to talk about drugs, Brian.  You took your share in the day,” Lindsay commented.

“If it is just a joint we aren’t worried about it but we are afraid it is more than that and did you miss the failing English? He will have to take summer school or retake the class next year if he can’t bring up the grade.”

“Well, we know he is smart.  He’ll be fine.” Mel threw out.

“No, Mel, he won’t be fine.  He is going down a bad path and…” Justin stopped when Brian interrupted.

“If you can’t support him and help him pull it together, he is moving in with us full time.”

“The hell he is.  We have custody and you have your visitation.”

“Well, Justin and I have him after school is out and we are taking him to Montana for vacation.  If by then you two have pulled yourself together we will talk about it but if you two are still acting like children yourself, he is staying with us.”

“Fuck you, Kinney.  That isn’t going to happen.  You can take him to your precious cabin but when you come back we will continue the court ordered visitation rules,” Mel stood and walked toward the door.

Lindsay looked from Brian to Justin, “So if we aren’t the perfect loving couple like you are you are going to take Gus from us?”

Brian walked over and put his arm around Lindsay, “No, Lindz, if you decide to split or divorce, that is up to you but you can’t keep pulling Gus into this.  We know you love him.  We also know you aren’t to blame for the shit he’s pulling now but if he can play you two against each other and then you against us.  It has to get better or I will do whatever is best for Gus.”

“You won’t get him.  Gus is fine!” Mel said as she walked out the door.

“If you think he is fine you really are too self absorbed to be a parent, Mel.” Justin said softly as she got in the car and slammed the door.

Lindsay looked between Brian and Justin for the second time that evening,  “I really don’t see….”

“Take a good look at our son, Lindz.  If you really look, you’ll see it.”

“If you want a ride home….” Mel yelled.

 

“You’re wrong, Brian.  You have to be wrong.”