- Text Size +

 

"Daddy! Justin!" Gus exclaimed in glee as he burst into the suite. Running toward his daddy, he launched himself into his arms. He hugged him tightly, his little arms wrapping as tightly around his neck as he could manage. "I missed you, Daddy!" He looked at Justin with a toothy grin. "I missed you too, Justin."

 

Justin smiled at the adorable child, unable to fathom how much he had melted his heart after such a short acquaintance. He guessed it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. After all, they did say - Like father, Like son.

 

Brian held onto his son tightly. He could get used to this. It hadn't quite sunk in that this was his reality now. He and his son always together. Having Justin with him sweetened the deal more than he could begin to comprehend. "We've been apart for about an hour, Sonnyboy. Daddy missed you too, though."

 

Justin smiled, standing to his feet. "I'll just give you two boys some time alone."

 

"No!" Gus shouted. "Please don't go. I- I have something to ask you."

 

"What is it?" Justin asked, sitting back down and looking attentively into the little boy's earnest face.

 

Brian settled Gus on his lap, moving him so he was turned to face Justin, more than a little curious himself. "Is something wrong, Gus?"

 

"Not wrong." He nibbled on his lip uncertainly, his wide eyes darting back and forth between the two of them. "I was just wondering when we would be going home to New York? And uhhh, if Justin would be living with us too?"

 

Justin looked apprehensively at Brian, uncertain how to answer, and what Brian's son hoped to hear. "Only if you're okay with that, Gus."

 

Brian released a slow sigh of relief, knowing exactly how his son felt about Justin already. He wasn't sure what this was about, but he knew one thing - Gus was becoming very attached to Justin. Nothing could make him happier than that. He looked toward Ben, frowning when Ben's eyes met his for a long, and tense moment - a shudder coursing through him as he watched Ben walk away to slip out onto the balcony. Chills continued to run up and down his spine as the doors were slid shut behind him. Something was wrong. Ben's deliberate look and motions acted as a silent alert. He would need to speak with him immediately.

 

"Yes! I was hoping you'd say that, Justin. I know we'll have so much fun in New York!" Gus turned to face his father with a beaming smile on his face. "Won't we, Daddy?"

 

His head jerked back to look down at his son, a question in his eyes, when he asked, "I'm sorry. What was that, Sonnyboy?"

 

Justin's eyes narrowed on Brian. He never missed a word Gus said to him, or even around him. He was clearly distracted... and not in a good way. Whatever was troubling Brian, he hoped it had nothing to do with him. To his way of thinking - he had already caused Brian more than enough turmoil. He didn't want that pattern to continue. Observing Brian's eyes straying to the balcony where Ben had just escaped to, Justin quickly connected the dots - at least those he could figure out. "Say, Gus... how about some cookies and milk? I know we have some in the kitchenette."

 

"That sounds like a great idea," Brian said, when at last he spoke. "I need to speak with Uncle Ben. I'll be right back."

 

"Okay, Daddy." Gus didn't resist at all when his daddy placed him on the sofa next to Justin, a tight smile briefly on Brian's lips as he quickly made his way to the balcony.

 

Brian could hear Gus' excited voice answering Justin's question of chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin cookies before he slipped out into the cool air, his steps taking him quickly to Ben's side. "You got me out here. What happened?"

 

Ben turned to face Brian, concern etched into the lines of his face. "I didn't want to mention this in front of Gus; I hid it from him while we were out, but it appears we have a problem. One we hadn't thought to face yet."

 

"Go on..." Brian urged. There wasn't a doubt in his mind that he wasn't going to like this at all.

 

"When we were close to the hotel, I had a sense of being followed. However, it wasn't normal at all." Ben inhaled deeply, before releasing his breath just as quickly. "The man following us wanted me to know he was there."

 

Rage darkened Brian's eyes. "Did you get an ID on the man?"

 

"Not at first. He was keeping his distance initially; I couldn't chase after him because of Gus. When the man could have turned the corner and fled out of sight, he faced me with a mocking smile on his face." Ben took a deep breath. "It was Kip."

 

"Fuck!" Brian hissed. "I should have ended this before we left New York!"

 

"As I recall, there wasn't time..."

 

Brian paced, back and forth, in his mind working out what needed to be done next. "Call the security company. Try to get the same man we used the last time. I want you in here, and I want a man on the door."

 

"I've already made that call. He should be here within the hour." Ben waited for the remaining instructions, at this moment in complete awe of his employer's ability to remain composed. He was truly remarkable. Few men could carry this off in the heat of learning both his son and lover could be at risk. "I didn't see Sapperstein; however, that doesn't mean anything."

 

Nodding, Brian told him, "He might not be here, but my guess is that he will be soon. We need to be ready. I made a bad judgment call. I thought he'd wait until Justin was back in New York. I guess he got impatient, as well as cocky that Craig Taylor was no longer around to pull his strings."

 

"It made sense that he would strike on his home turf. Then again, nothing makes sense with a lunatic like Gary Sapperstein." Ben watched Brian closely, for once, unable to read him. Brian was obviously distressed and enraged at once. His enemies really didn't stand a chance. "What should I do next?"

 

"Call our people in New York. Find out where Sapperstein is, and what he's doing. I want him tailed - morning, noon, and night. That is - if he is still in New York." Brian stilled his movements, his eyes staring sightlessly ahead, a murderous rage burning within him. "I'm going to find Kip and end his involvement. The prick meant for you to see him... on the Sap's orders, I'm sure. Sap is playing head games with me. They will both be sorry they brought my son into this war."

 

Ben eyed Brian warily. "What are you going to do now?"

 

A savage smile twisted Brian's lips. "I'm going to chase Sap's little rat down and do what I should have done in New York. It shouldn't be very difficult. Neither one of them are very smart... and clearly, Kip's keeping an eye on Justin."

 

Swallowing as extreme dread assailed him, Ben asked, "Are you going to kill him?"

 

Brian turned to face Ben, the murderous expression far from gone from his expression. His voice was encased in the thickest ice when he spoke, "You won't be involved in this, Ben - no matter what I decide to do. I want you to stay here with Justin and Gus. The less you know of my actions the better."

 

"No!" Ben protested. "I don't care how you handle this." Wincing at Brian's penetrating stare, he shrugged his shoulders in silent admission. "Okay, maybe I care, but I won't interfere. The bottom line is simple - my job is to protect you. We can get someone else to watch over Justin and Gus. They will be safe in the hotel with the guard stationed outside. I should come with you."

 

Shaking his head in adamant denial, Brian curtly responded, "No. I have a plan, and I won't be at risk, Ben. I need to do this alone. More important than that, I need to know that Justin and Gus are protected while I am fixing this. I am asking you to respect that, and give me that peace of mind."

 

"Okay. I'll guard them with my life... you know that."

 

Brian nodded, his eyes suddenly filled with pain when he surprised them both by saying, "I'm counting on that, Ben. They mean everything to me."

 

Ben smiled. "I know that too. Good luck, Brian. We'll all be here when it's done."

 

Waiting until Ben exited the balcony, Brian reached for his phone, dialing a number he never thought to use. He smiled coldly as it began to ring. It was nice having people owe him favors - especially ones ideally suited for certain tasks. "Vinnie..." Brian spoke crisply into the phone. "Brian Kinney here. It's been a long time."

 

Vinnie's eyes widened. There could only be one reason for this call. His debt was being called in. Years ago, Brian had bailed him out of massive debts he had surmounted with various loan sharks. If not for Brian, he would be dead now. He had never been sure why Brian had helped him out, all that really mattered was that he had, and in doing so - he owed him a great deal. "Brian..." he answered nervously. "It's good to hear from you. I hope you've been well."

 

"I've been better. I won't keep you long; I realize time is valuable for both of us. I need a favor. A special handling of what has become a problematic situation." Brian smiled savagely, knowing these actions would instill fear in Gary Sapperstein more than anything. He operated under the illusion that his nemesis wouldn't get his hands dirty - that he would play within civilized boundaries. That was where he had made his fatal mistake. No one threatened the ones he loved. That lesson would be realized by Sap quickly.

 

Smiling, immediately understanding what Brian wanted, just not to what extreme, Vinnie cautiously asked, "How final do you want the resolution?"

 

"I want it so he can never hurt anyone I care about again." Brian wasn't going to tell him to kill Kip, although he was fairly certain Vinnie would do exactly that. "I leave this in your capable hands."

 

"Give me a time and place, Brian. I'll make this problem go away for you."

 

"I'm heading out to find him now; once I do, I'll call you." Brian was only slightly surprised at the lengths he was going to now; it was a line he had never crossed, but one he did now without any remorse. This couldn't end without violence. He had known that from the beginning; it was time for this nightmare to end.

 

The message to Gary Sapperstein would be loud and clear. There wasn't anything he wouldn't do to protect what belonged to him. The Sap would be alone and defenseless. What would be more daunting for Sapperstein was the knowledge that Brian would be coming for him next. The criminal aspects meant nothing to him regarding Justin and Gus. They could never be safe with Sapperstein around. He wasn't sure how Justin would respond to such savagery, but that wasn't something that would deter him. Protecting the man that he loved, along with his son, was all that truly mattered.

 

Once this was resolved, Brian decided it would be time to do what he had never thought to do with any man. As much as he had previously abhorred speaking the words to his lover, he realized it was time. Justin needed to hear them, and for the first time, he really wanted to say them. He loved Justin Taylor. It was time his special little blond understood how much.

 

TBC