- Text Size +

 

Justin stared broodingly out the window as Gus walked with his dog, Michael at his side, by all the animated hand motions he made, telling the future king something of an exciting nature. He wished he could walk and explore the grounds with them. The time he had spent with Gus in the secret room had been both special and memorable. At the time, he had hoped it could be repeated... but after his unwise choice yesterday, he would be surprised if he ever left the tower again.

 

Shrugging his shoulders, Justin decided that wouldn't be so bad, unless he went insane with only his own company. The tower was actually almost luxurious for such a structure, and he didn't doubt that the king would personally oversee his protection. After all, hadn't Brian been doing that all along? He wasn't sure how many men the king had killed in defense of his honor and this was how he repaid him. What had he been thinking of!?

 

The answer was simple. Rebellion, pure and simple. He knew his presence in the slave quarters would enrage the territorial King. If Brian had wanted him in that setting, he would have been there from the beginning. The danger that Sapperstein had represented wouldn't have prevented that. Brian could have just tightened his security measures. It was a given that he had been curious about their environment, and the life that they had here. Seeing and hearing what he had, he acknowledged that he didn't belong there, even more than he had thought before his visit.

 

First and foremost, he had not been raised to be a slave to any man, not even the mesmerizing and seductive King of Tehara. And perhaps even more important than that, his circumstances were completely different than the slaves that resided in the king's private quarters. They were here by choice. He found that to be incredible, no matter how alluring the king might be. It didn't seem like a full life to him, especially with how little time the king seemed to spend with them. Of course, he realized that might be a new development, and not how it had always been. The slave that seemed to be the leader of the group had remarked about the king's recent lack of attention to them. Was that because of the king's professional duties, and his protection of him... or did it mean something more?

 

Justin moved away from the window, beginning to pace back and forth. He was so confused, and couldn't manage to grasp all his thoughts - for sure, he didn't understand the ramifications of them. Why had he been so impulsive? He knew he had acted in the most improper of ways. He had been immature, and he had disrespected the king. Sure, his life was in a virtual limbo. There was no way of knowing what Brian would do with him next, undoubtedly, there had been no answers as to his placement. Looking around the tower room, he wondered if this would be his future home, for now... and for a long time to come.

 

When he heard a light knock on his door, Justin steeled himself for the battle that he knew to be forthcoming. It wasn't quite time for dinner, and he had been forbidden any visitors; therefore, that only left one option. Brian was here to put him more effectively in his place. "Come in," Justin responded, uncaring that his tone dripped with sarcasm. "The lock is on that side of the door... certainly not on mine..."

 

Justin slightly grimaced when the door opened and it wasn't the king that greeted him. Instead, it was his mother, with a disapproving glower on her face. "Uhhh, I wasn't expecting it to be you, Mom. I'm not supposed to have any visitors, so I thought it would be his imperial highness..."

 

Jennifer gasped, before closing the door with unladylike force, quickly advancing forward to admonish her son. "Justin! This attitude and self-destructive behavior have to stop. Immediately! There are guards out there. Don't you care if they hear you and report back to the king?"

 

Shrugging, Justin moved to sit in the chair next to his window, his head downcast. At the moment, he didn't want to see the disappointment in his mother's eyes. She was so proper, and in most ways, just so damned perfect. She had tutored him in all of the rules of etiquette, and some of them had stuck with him; at least, they had until he had met the King of Tehara. "I'm sorry, Mom. I don't know why I do the things I do. It's the king. He provokes me in unreasonable ways."

 

"I agree that the king can be blamed for many things, but not for what happened here yesterday morning. This is all on you... and it is unacceptable. You are better than that!" Jennifer sat down in the chair across from him, her eyes sharply assessing him, determined to help him work through whatever demons were presently driving him to make such foolish decisions. "I just came from a meeting with the king, so yes, I know everything, Justin."

 

Justin snorted. "Of course he would tell you everything."

 

"Why wouldn't he?" Jennifer's voice uncommonly squeaked, as she became both shocked and appalled by Justin's blasé attitude. "You publicly disrespected your king. And no matter how we may feel about it, the man owns you until he deems otherwise." Jennifer waved her hand around the room. "This isn't a punishment, Justin. He could have done so much worse than returning you to the tower. Your class is a slave now. I don't like it, but it is your reality. You need to start remembering your position and act accordingly!"

 

"You make it sound so easy!" Justin protested. "I suppose it is for you, after all, you are free to stay or go. I won't ever have that choice!" Justin shook his head in irritation, unable to believe that his mother couldn't understand his hopeless position.

 

Jennifer sighed, unable to deny that she couldn't fully comprehend the torture Justin was now enduring, but in a way, thinking that her life with Craig had been much the same... except perhaps worse since she was basically his prisoner, but abused as well. If there was one thing she took comfort in, it was knowing that Justin would never be physically harmed by the king or anyone else. No matter how the king treated Justin in some ways, he was also fiercely protective of him. That was the only positive in this entire mess. "Justin, I'm not saying that I understand how you're feeling. Two situations are never the same. I'm just saying that you need to make the best of the situation. I can't see things staying as they are indefinitely."

 

"Why wouldn't they?" Justin demanded to know. "You can't think that one day the king is going to decide to release me from that contract. It's improbable at best. In fact, it goes against his entire character..."

 

"You don't know him well enough to decide what goes against his character." Jennifer smiled, before she told him, "perhaps he just needs a reminder that you don't belong here. One that doesn't come from you or me."

 

Justin narrowed his eyes, as he looked at her sharply. "How is that even possible, Mom? You say it like you have something in mind."

 

"Perhaps I do." Jennifer shrugged her shoulders, not the first time the idea had occurred to her since she had decided on her future. Although, she wasn't sure it would be wise to implement her idea. It certainly carried a degree of risk. But if it brought about Justin's freedom, it would be worth it. "I didn't come here today merely to scold you, Justin. I made a decision, and I just informed the king. He allowed me to visit you because of my choice."

 

"And that is what?" Justin asked, in his heart, already knowing the answer.

 

A sad look briefly crossed her face, before she responded, "I want to go home, Justin. I think you know I don't mean the home that I shared with your father; I am referring to my own country. I want to reconcile with those in my family - if that's even possible. The king has granted me that right, and is going to see to a smooth transition for me and Alba."

 

"Wow..." Justin whispered, uncertain how he should feel, but more importantly of how he should visibly respond. Undoubtedly, he would miss his mom, even if she did spend the vast majority of their time together schooling him on what she deemed to be the ‘right' thing to do. That aside, he accepted this was something she needed, what she had dreamt of for longer than she even realized. "I'm stunned. It's a big move. What if you can't make peace after all this time? Won't it be even more devastating to be home, and yet, not be home?"

 

"I've thought about that, Justin, but whether or not my family reconciles with me, I need to be home. I realize you probably don't understand since Tehara has been your home for most of your life, but I just can't be here any longer. My entire time in this country has been filled with hate, and more violence than I ever thought existed. It's time that I lived the life I was meant to live."

 

Justin swallowed the lump that slid into his throat, a short nod his only answer, knowing in his heart this was what was best for his mother. "Well then, you should do it. Your life has been on hold for long enough, thanks to my psychotic father. This place was never right for you, but that's exactly why my father brought you here - to isolate and separate you from anyone that could help you."

 

Nodding, Jennifer agreed. "Yes, that's exactly what he did. He didn't need to choose this country, but it did fit in with his idea of how a man should be superior." She looked at Justin thoughtfully for a moment, unable to deny feeling selfish about her choice, but also wondering if it would be better for him in the long run. She hadn't given up hope that the king would one day see the error in his choice, and accept what they both knew - Justin wasn't meant to be any man's slave, not even the King of Tehara's.

 

Frowning, Justin looked at his mom accusingly, determined to make sure she did what was best for her, in actuality, for the first time in her life. "Mom, I know that guilty look. I want you to go and make a life for yourself; hopefully, one that would be similar to the one you should have always had. It will actually give me comfort that you have managed to survive my father's destruction of your life. Mine is hopeless now, but you have a chance. I want you to take it!"

 

"Don't say that, Justin. It's not hopeless. Now that Craig is gone, nothing is. I had a thought, one that I want to share with you, but not one that comes without risk..."

 

"Risk?" Justin asked, doubtful that any action could make his present circumstances direr.

 

Jennifer nodded. "Once I return home, and if things go well between me and my father, perhaps if I mentioned your situation to him, he could intercede on your behalf." When Justin's eyes widened in alarm, Jennifer told him, "I realize that the legalities are on the king's side. Since you are a citizen of Tehara, there isn't anything that legally can be done... but perhaps the king can be convinced of doing the right thing..."

 

Unaware that they were no longer alone, another voice was heard, one that neither had expected to hear in such a private moment. "I allow you to visit your son, one that had been forbidden visitors, while I am utilizing all of my contacts to speak to your father on your behalf... and you use that time to plot against me!" The king felt himself sweltering in rage. Perhaps this woman was a true lady, but she was nearly as manipulative as Lindsay.

 

Justin stood to his feet, knowing he needed to pacify the king. His mother truly needed to go home; not just that - she deserved it. "Uhhh, Your Highness... I don't think my mom meant any disrespect to you. She just wants to see me happy, and knows that I will never be that while settled in a lifestyle that I am not structured for."

 

"And as I have said, you WILL adapt." Brian stepped closer, his nostrils flaring as he inhaled Justin's unique scent. After having him one night, he craved him all the more. The men that had taken his place last night hadn't come close to satisfying his lust. He had sent them away after using them repeatedly; in the morning, he had awakened to find himself hard and aching, with one set of defiant blue eyes present in his mind. His desire for this man was nearly unbearable. There was no way he would ever let him go. Removing his eyes from the object of his desire, he coldly looked at Jennifer, telling her in cold crisp words. "I spoke with your father. He is open to a reconciliation and was grateful for the opportunity to explore one. You are welcomed back into his home. He also wanted me to let you know that he is saddened by the life you have endured, and would not gloat about being right about Craig Taylor's character."

 

Jennifer released a deep sigh of relief. In the midst of that unexpected feeling, she also felt remorse. The king had treated her with nothing but honor, and she thanked him in such a despicable way. There was no way she could make amends for that. "Thank you, Your Majesty. It is more than I ever expected."

 

"He also spoke of frozen trust funds that would be released to you upon your return. Your father thought that would ease your transition should you feel uncomfortable after your return. You will have the financial independence to live how and where you like."

 

Shaking her head, unable to believe all that the king had accomplished in such a short time, Jennifer spoke with complete humility. "I can't thank you enough. I know I don't deserve all the measures you have taken, but I assure you, I will never forget it."

 

Brian inclined his head, thinking that her departure was the best thing for all concerned. Jennifer would never be happy here, and for certain, she would always resent Justin's position in his life. Interference and distractions were the last things he needed, especially now. "You can leave at any time it is convenient for you. There is no rush, but I think now that your father is involved, it should happen soon."

 

"I understand, and I couldn't agree more." Jennifer turned to face Justin, reaching out to hug him for a long moment, her eyes closing as she realized she wouldn't get many other opportunities. "I'm sure we'll see each other before I leave, but I want you to know one thing, Justin - I am proud of the man you have become. You have survived great adversity, and will probably face even more. I know you will get through it with honor and integrity."

 

"Thank you, Mom..." Justin whispered, realizing this could be one of the last private moments they shared, at least, in the foreseeable future. "I'm going to be fine."

 

Jennifer stepped back, looking between Justin and the king, a man that watched over her son so avidly. There was a look in his eyes that she hadn't seen in them before, it was a look that both surprised her, as well as gave her hope for Justin's future. Tenderness. She blinked and it was gone, quickly replaced by the cold mask that typically defined the King of Tehara. Very interesting. She bowed before rushing from the room and out the tower doors, knowing she had many preparations to make, and sensing that her presence was no longer welcome in that room, by her son, and the king especially.

 

Justin cleared his throat after a moment, before he told the silent ruler, "You are a man of many surprises."

 

Moving away from Justin, Brian stepped over to the window, watching Michael and Gus running with the dog, knowing the close proximity, as well as their solitude, would tempt him after too much time. "I try not to be too predictable."

 

Grunting, Justin responded, "You are hardly that. You are as silent as a cat; I never hear your approach." Justin didn't move any closer, deciding the distance was probably best. Their encounters always ended one way when they were in close quarters. He was determined that wasn't going to happen. "Thank you for everything you did for my mother. You saved her when this all started, and now to make it possible for her to return home... Well, it's a dream for her."

 

"Your mother never belonged here. I refer to Tehara in general. It is best for everyone that she leaves." Brian turned to face Justin, expecting some form of censure from the younger man, slightly surprised when he received none. "I realize you will miss her, and I will make provisions for you to keep in touch. However, that will be supervised. At this point in time, I can't trust you with that kind of freedom. Yesterday is a prime example."

 

"I suppose that's true, from your point of view. And I do thank you for allowing me the chance to connect with her, even if it's only over the phone." Justin stared at the king, frowning as he observed the monarch's tense concentration on his words, but his mind almost seemed to be elsewhere. Something was troubling the ruler, and for once, he sensed it wasn't something to do with him. "Is there something wrong, Your Highness? There is a tension in you I don't recall ever seeing before..."

 

"I am fine..." the king bit out, pissed that his displeasure was so easily transmitted. His release from the night before with two of his slaves had done nothing to relax him, in fact, he was even more on edge. Brian realized until he had any sort of clue leading to Jasmine's location, that was exactly how he would remain.

 

Justin shrugged. "Well, if you ever want to talk, it's not like I will see anyone to divulge your secrets to."

 

The king rolled his eyes. "It's not my intention to keep you in the tower forever, Justin. You disrespected me in front of my slaves. There had to be a punishment."

 

"So, this was all about me not bowing or being respectful to you... and not about me going into the slave quarters?" Justin asked, knowing the answer, but for some reason, he just needed to be sure.

 

"Of course!" the ruler snapped. How could the boy not realize that!? "I was angry about you going there, which you should have expected. I had already told you that I didn't intend on placing you in the slave quarters and that I needed to decide where you would be staying. Now, you have raised all kinds of speculation with the others, and undoubtedly, questions that I don't want to answer."

 

Justin smirked, knowing exactly what that meant, and unable to resist teasing the hot-headed King. "Does that mean I am more special in a way that they are not?"

 

Brian swore, laughing despite his own personal hell that consumed him at the moment. "You are an impertinent fucker and will be a constant handful." Not answering the question that he didn't want to answer at the moment, Brian told him, "Once I feel that you have been sufficiently punished, I will look into moving you. In the meantime, I have many calls to make. We will talk soon."

 

Nodding, knowing he had nothing to lose in asking, Justin stopped the king's departure. "May I ask a small favor?"

 

Narrowing his eyes, wary of where this could lead, the king asked, "And that is?"

 

"The lighting in this room is so exceptional that I'd like to pass some of the time drawing and painting. I'd like some art supplies - paints, chalks, canvases, anything that you can find." Justin knew he couldn't fully make amends for his disrespect, or begin to repay the king for all that he had done for his mother, but he thought a painting of Gus with his dog might be a nice place to start. It didn't change how he felt about his captivity or his future in general, but he also understood how his art took him to another place. It could be a form of escapism, but right now, he would take it.

 

Surprise entered the king's eyes. "You're an artist?" When Justin nodded, Brian smiled, before telling him, "I will have Emmett have supplies delivered to you sometime today. If they cannot be purchased here, I will have him order them for you."

 

"Thank you, Brian. That means more to me than you can know." Justin gave the king his most beaming smile, watching as the king shook his head, the other man seemed momentarily bewildered. "Is something wrong?"

 

"Not wrong, Justin. Your smile is dazzling, in fact, almost blinding. I hope to see you smile like that more often." Before he said too much to the man that he was forced to punish, whether he really wanted to do that or not, Brian moved to the door, deciding it would be best if this conversation ended - here and now.

 

"Brian?" Justin called out. When he noticed the king's back tense, but the other man did not turn back to face him, Justin told him, "I know your tension is sharp, for whatever reason, but I hope you got what you needed last night."

 

"It was satisfactory; however, neither one of them is you..."

 

Justin held the gasp that threatened to escape, his eyes on the king's retreating back. Neither one of them is you. What did that mean? They had shared one of their most positive interactions. Was it inspired by the stress that the king was obviously suffering... or could it be more? He was still confused about so many things, but also, he was now more curious about the future.

 

TBC