- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - ADMISSIONS AND SLAP DOWNS


EMMETT’S HOME - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN


“NELLYBUTT! STOP THAT RACKET!” I boom at the bathroom door, his caterwauling turns to cackling. “Thank you! You could wake Davy Jones and the Devil!”


“Luckily for you…noooo!” He screams, running to his bedroom. “...you had best be laughing at my embarrassment!” He demands, tightening his robe. “Big Bad! I’m nervous enough!”


I stop; he’s serious, Emmett is nervous! “Let me shift Michael, you shift the others; then tell me why.” Ten minutes later I’m astonished. “Not even a kiss?!” He shakes his head, I pull him into a hug. “Sorry, Ems, I just wanted to get away. I didn't think about how I abandoned you.”


“You don’t need to apologise, I totally understand.” He sighs. “After Teddy, I was working all the time to restore my savings, and…and the real reason I moved in with Mel was because I had a breakdown…crushing, Big Bad!” I loosen my grip. “She took me in and fed me up, loved me until I could look after myself again.”


“How long was that, and who else knows?”


“Two years after you left, and you two. Debs knew I wasn’t right, but, as always, Michael got in the way of her helping.”


“Explain.” I growl.


Start of flashback

LIBERTY AVENUE - FIVE YEARS AGO


EMMETT


I jump out of the road at the screeching of brakes. After waving my apologies, I stagger down the alley, lean against a wall and throw up. A door opens as I sob with relief and exhaustion. “Hey, you can’t be round…are you okay?!” I blink up at him. “Get in here!” I am too tired to fight, and to be honest I would take death to ease this pain. “I am getting you a hot sweet tea.” 


“Thank you.” I mumble, minutes later, warm hands are helping me to drink. “Where am I, and who are you?”


“Back of Donkey’s Kong and I’m Thirn, this is my place.” He replies. “Finish it.” I sink back into plump cushions and do so whilst he watches quietly, then covers me with a blanket. “Get some rest, you look like you need it.”


SOME TIME LATER


It’s the cracking that wakes me up, so I head in that direction. “Hi, are you feeling better?” Thirn flicks the whip in the air.


“A bit, though I need more sleep…” I reply, gawking at the array of wares. “...this is in…how do people actually use that on themselves?!” I point at a spiked and bulbous dildo. He laughs and hands it to me. “Oh that’s not as heavy as I thought it would be…” I give it back with a smile. “...pity, as I could do with bashing someone over the head with it!”


“Do you need me to call you a cab or something?”


“I’ll be fine…” We snigger at the loud rumble of my stomach. I tamp down the nausea that follows. “...thanks for helping and the tea.” I smile, and even though I feel hot, cold and sweaty make my way out hoping fresh air will help. I'm nearly on my knees with each step, I feel so wretched. “Just get to the cab rank and you’ll be fine!” I mutter.


“Emmett!”  Michael screeches. I ignore him, I just want to get home! “Didn’t you hear me?!” He yanks me to a stop. “What were you doing in that creepy place?!” He looks me up and down with disgust. “You look like shit!” Tears prickle, him turning to yell at Debs means I can quickly wipe them away. “Ma, first Ted goes off to do drugs and fuck alone knows what and now Emmett’s abandoning us for a freakish lifestyle. He was in Donkey’s Kong, feeling up the merchandise!”


“I wasn’t feeling up the…”


“So this isn’t you then?!” He shoves his phone in my face, in trying to step back I stumble, Debs rights me with a concerned look. “What is that?!” He peers at the picture. “Although, if that goes up, you won’t need too much lube, since you’re…”


“Michael!” Mel appears from nowhere. “Must you make such a racket?!” 


“Rather make a racket than be a deviant!” He gurns. “So, gonna explain?”


“No.” I sigh, my head swims as I shuffle towards the curb to look for a cab. Just as one pulls up, he blocks me. “Michael, I need to go home. I’ve got stuff to do, and…”


“Your place it is then!” He declares, pulling Debs in alongside him. “Meter’s running!”


EMMETT’S HOME - HALF AN HOUR LATER


He looks around with contempt. “I didn’t think this place could get any worse; couldn't you tidy up before inviting around guests?”


“You barged in.” Mel tartly points out. He shrugs and sits. “Michael!”


“Mel!” He retorts. “I am not leaving until I hear about his descent into deviancy, it reflects badly on me as one of his closest friends!”


“Here, Ems, drink this.” Debs hands me water. “Have you eaten, want me to knock up something?”


“We can order in.” Michael declares, switching on the TV. “Now let me record this and we’ll watch it...what the hell?!” He exclaims as I yank out the plug. When I shove him back, he ‘stumbles’ over the sofa arm, landing heavily. “Have you gone fucking insane?!” 


“Boogawoogawooga!” I scream. 


He scuttles back, clutching his shoulder, then hauls himself up. “You’ve most likely dislocated it, you frigging sadist! Ma, I need to get to the hospital!” 


“It’s your fault!” Mel yells, as Debs gets him out. “Ems, get some rest!” She orders gently, closing the door firmly on his objection to her caring crapshoot!


I make it to the bathroom and throw up again, then faint. When I wake up, I am in bed, and can hear someone moving around and smell food. “Who’s there?!” I croak.


“Me and Mel!” Thirn smiles from the doorway. “Can I help you to the bathroom?”


“Wh…how? Oh yes, please.” I reply. He scoops me up, turns around so I can pee, then helps me to brush my teeth and wash my face. “How are you here and know Mel?” I use him as a crutch to walk to the lounge. “Who tidied?!” 


“We did, of course, silly Ems!” Mel enters with a large mug of something. “You dropped your wallet in his place, we bumped into each other. Debs gave me your keys to check on you; she has to look after Michael.”


“I must apologise to him, I shouldn't…”


“…I will get Thirn to tan your hide if you do!” Mel snaps. “You didn’t touch him, he threw himself. Will you please tell us what's going on?” They listen, appalled, furious and concerned as, sobbing, I explain everything. “Okay, so you’ve got your rent covered, correct?” I nod. “Then come live with us and rent this out.”


“What?” I gasp.


“We've moved outside of Liberty, I’ve got the space. Gus and I love you, that way I can keep an eye on you, plus you can avoid guilt trip visits from Michael.”


“Having heard about him from Mel and on The Avenue, this is the perfect solution.” Thirn declares. “Have to say, it’s got good bones, prime spot and being at the back affords discretion.”


“For what?” I ask.


“A playhome.” He answers. “Yeah…absolutely. How does five grand a month sound?” I splutter into my tea, Mel mops up. “That will cover everything, your rent and the cost to return it to ‘normal’ when you’re ready to move back.”


“You have a deal!” She declares. “I’ll draw up the contract!”

End of flashback


EMMETT


“Well I’ll be buggered! Is that how you made your money back so quick and then some?”


“Justin hopes so! And yes, also for the last two summers when it’s Kong Month, I move in with Justin and Thirn pays double.”


“Does he know why you stay with him?” He queries then scowls. “This is us, you’re not him.” I head to the bedroom, put on my jockeys then wait by the rack. “Better, now how hot do you want to be for Ben?”


“Between pounceable and fuckable. And yes, he does, ask him how.” I return his sly smile. I really should warn Justin but I won’t.


KINBURU RESTAURANT - AN HOUR LATER


BRIAN


I sip my sake and make a note to go to JapansVille BBQ the minute we get back to Cali. I know Debs would be in the kitchen trying to see how; Gus would eat his body weight in japchae and Justin would be…


“Bri!” Michael screeches as he rushes up. “The boys are out on the town tonight!” He almost sits in my lap and tries to feel me up at the same time. “Been waiting long? I can't wait to start our evening, I’ve got Babylon plans for us!” He scoots his chair closer, eyes shining. “David has a ‘work dinner’ with George, and your last trick…”


“…I doubt that very much.” I drawl, signalling the waiter. “Can you bring the rest of the bottle and glass for my…”


“Best friend. And what do you doubt?”


“That he's having dinner with my last trick since he was in New York before Ben.”


“I meant Steele, obviously.” He sneers. “Still can’t believe you did it with him! But any hole is a goal where you are concerned, eh?!” 


“No.” I state, resisting the urge to throw my sake in his face. “Evan was very good, nice and tight…”


“Why would you tell me that?!” He grimaces. “Does Ben know you’ve debased yourself with him?”


“Because you always want to know and I didn’t debase myself. I gave him a good hard three hour fucking.” He goes pink and gurgles, now that’s debasing! “Yes to Ben. Ma told him the night you all met.” His eyes narrow. “He has his history, I’ve got mine, and…what’s wrong?”


“Shit! It can’t be!” He springs up, shaking his head.


“Michael…” I try to grab his arm. “…what’s going on?!”


MICHAEL


“Need to piss!” I scowl at the tutting waiter. I need to see if it was Emmett heading to the back of the restaurant; he’s the last person I want Brian to see! “Excuse me, is there a private room or another space to eat here?” 


“Two rooms, just down the corridor and the terrace.” The waiter frowns. “Sir, where are you going?!”


“We’re with them!” I bark. Seconds later, I am outside the door. I knock twice then enter. “What are you doing…wrong room!” I slam the door and press my ear against the other one. I can hear that grating Lana Turner simpering laugh. I snap my fingers, and after a few minutes the waiter goes to do as he’s told, after all the customer is always right!


“Everything okay?” He drawls as I rejoin him. “I wasn’t sure what your spice level is these days, so…aren’t you sitting?”


“Well, as it’s such a nice evening, I've moved us to the terrace. That's okay, right?”


BRIAN


“Yeah that’s great.” I take my time following him, enjoying his frustration, as we get alongside the private rooms. “Just got to make a call!” I yell.


“Brian, shush!” He whispers. “People are eating, come on let’s get to our table, you can be as loud as you want there!”


“Won’t be a second!” I shake off his tugging. “Hi, do me a favour. Call and tell them to leave; no not now we’ll discuss it when I get home, thanks Mom.”


I let him drag me up to the hostess stand. “What was that about? Who did you see?”


“Blake. Who I suspect would not like to see his boss on a date night!”


“Blake? Sure it was him? Who was he with?”


“Yes, I’m sure and…are you okay?” I smile as the waiter approaches. “Hi, we were moved upstairs, table’s in the name of Kinney.”


“Ah yes, over here.” Michael’s not looking where he’s going and runs into the back of him. “Are you alright, sir?” He shakes off the helping hand and thumps into his chair. “Would you like to order?”


“We've just sat down! Go away, I’ll call you when we're ready.” He scowls then takes a deep breath. “Did you see who Blake was…”


“...Mr Kinney and guest.” Another waiter arrives. “I will be helping you for the rest of your time here. Your previous server felt that as the owner of this establishment, I’m a better choice.” He gulps like a fish. “Now come with me, so you can either apologise for your behaviour towards my staff and patrons or leave.” 


MICHAEL


He’s smiling at his phone as I return. “Have you ordered? Brian…”


“...now that’s ridiculous!” He chuckles. “Wait a sec, need to reply.” 


“Is Ben having a good time?” After a few seconds I start to tap the table, he carries on texting. 


“Not replying to him. I haven’t ordered; I wasn't sure what you’d like.”


“Wasn’t sure? You know I like anything you like. So who were you texting?” 


“David…” 


“David? Why are you texting him?!”


“I’m not, he’s coming this way.” 


Heart sinking at his voice, I paste on a smile; he’s with George and Evan, none of them look happy. “Hey, is everything okay?” 


“Not really, see you found something to do.”


“Yes! Brian asked me to join him for dinner, we're finally having bestie time.”  


“How lovely.” He drawls. “Mind if we join you?”


“Join us?” I frown. “You’re eating here?” I give him a sceptical look. “It’s hardly conducive to a working dinner.


“Yes, I told you before I left. And it’s no longer a working dinner as the private room we booked has a leak. 


“Okay with me. You?” Although fuming that this part of the evening is a bust, I nod. ”You’ve expanded your taste to Japanese, Michael?” 


David snorts. “If he has, it’s not been with me…”


“...Kinney has the magic touch…” Evan pours water. “...which he’d like him to...”


“Evan!” George exclaims. “Why would he want Michael when he has that hunk of love at home?”


“That's very true…” David laughs, I scowl. “...it’s just a joke, Michael, don’t you have a sense of humour?” 


Brian’s phone flashes again! “Is it okay to take this here?”


“Of course, and yes I do.” I grit out. He proceeds to speak to him for the next ten minutes, the smile never leaving his face! “I think we should order…”


“...so sorry about that.” Brian finally hangs up. “So what are we having?”


“Why aren't there any dumplings or those satay things you always have, let me…”


“...that’s Thai.” Brian states. “This is…oh!” He exclaims, picking up his phone.


George giggles, what is he twelve?! “Ooh...is that from Ben? Missing you is he?!”


I feel so sorry for him having an embarrassing boyfriend like that. “Why would he send a dick pic knowing you’re out with your…” 


“He’s not like that!” He snaps as he reads. “And it’s not him, it’s one of his friends, Ben’s not feeling well…”


“...that came on suddenly. He was fine a few minutes ago…”


“...I was talking to Mel and the boys. I was all set to cancel when he had a turn earlier. He insisted on going, I knew we should’ve stayed at home! Let me talk to him.” My heart sinks at the muttering and concerned expression on his face, sighing he pockets his phone. “Said to stay and enjoy myself.”


“....well that’s good!” I squeeze his arm and pick up the menu. 


“Novotny, stop letting your jealous hopes cloud your compassion!” 


“Stop shit stirring, Evan. Ben is fine with Brian being with me. He’ll most probably just sleep whatever it is off anyway. Now, I’m starving, what do you think I should try, Brian?”


“Brian, want me to drop you home? It’s no problem.”


He chews on his lip. “Thanks Evan, it’s fine…” I smile behind the menu. “...I’ll take a cab.” He then asks the waiter for his coat. “C’mon Michael, don’t look like that; you’d do the same if David was sick…”


“I doubt it!” David scoffs. “I hope Ben makes a speedy recovery.”


“Me too.” He grabs his coat and sweeps out without a backwards glance.


“Excuse me, gents.” The owner comes up. “The other room is now free if you’d like to move there?”


“Yes, please!”  David grins. “Can you set it for three please?”


“Of course sir.”


“David, a word?” He follows me to the bar. “Is that another joke?” 


“No it isn’t. Excuse me…” The owner comes over. “...please can you close off his bill and call him a cab?”


“With pleasure, cash or card.” 


“Card.” I am fuming that I’ve paid $37 to not eat! “How long will the cab be?”


“It’s outside, I had a feeling you would need it.” 


“I don’t think I will be returning!” I hiss.


“You won’t. You're barred!” He hisses back then walks off.


PRIVATE ROOM - FIVE MINUTES LATER


EMMETT


“Michael’s been kicked out!” Brian crows. “Right, the coast is clear, see you guys later! Enjoy!”


“Same to you!” Ben chuckles, closing the door behind him. He’s got such a great laugh. “So what else haven’t you told me about yourself?”


“I’ve been pretty much celibate for six years. What about you?”

 

“Never bottomed, would like to.” He coolly replies. “Let’s start with kissing and go from there.” I move closer, he pulls me into his lap and I happily find out that laughing isn’t the only great thing about him!

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if revewing. Thanks

To be continued.
MissMerlot is the author of 24 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked The Call also liked 333 other stories.