- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for all your comments - they're much appreciated!

It's 1am over here but at least I found the time to post. Enjoy :) 

 

Chapter 30

 

 

Three weeks later, Brian and Justin found themselves back in New York once more to meet with Molly. Everyone had agreed that a meeting in a restaurant was out of the question. Having this first meeting in more than two years in public wouldn't help anyone and would only create new media attention for everyone involved.

Instead, Molly had accepted an invitation to dinner at Justin's and Brian's place and had said that she was looking forward to seeing Justin again and to get to know Brian.

 

As far as their text messages had been concerned, everything had sounded good and sincere and Justin hoped that this dinner would end well and not in a disaster.

 

Justin had insisted on preparing dinner himself, telling Brian that it would keep him occupied and would keep him from thinking too much ahead of this meeting. Knowing that Justin was most likely right and that he would drive himself and Brian crazy if he had nothing to do, Brian decided to let Justin go ahead and help him as far as his help was needed.

 

All afternoon it had been obvious that Justin had been nervous about this dinner and nothing Brian tried to calm him down had really done the trick.


He walked over and gave Justin a kiss on his temple. “It's going to be fine, Sunshine.”

 

Justin nodded absentmindedly as he ran a hand through his hair, obviously not happy with the way it looked.


“Stop it,” Brian said gently, taking Justin's hand and giving it a squeeze. “She's just your sister.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes. “You know how fucked up my family is. That doesn't mean much...”

 

“I am sure it will be fine.” Brian then leaned in and kissed Justin, only stopping when the kiss was interrupted by their intercom announcing that they had a visitor.

 

Justin broke the kiss and picked up the receiver. He listened to the receptionist of the building and told him to let Molly up. He then walked over to the door of their apartment and opened it, knowing that it would only take Molly a couple of seconds on the elevator to arrive on the correct floor.

 

And then he waited.

 

When the elevator door opened, he was surprised to see a grown up, beautiful woman. The last time he had seen Molly, she had been this awkward teenager, who hadn't been quite sure if she was still a girl or already a young woman. Now she had obviously grown up to be a beautiful and judging by the way she was carrying herself, also a confident, young woman. She smiled carefully as she made her way over to the open door where Justin was waiting for her.

 

“Oh Justinus, it's so good to see you again,” she said as she stopped in front of him.

 

“Everyone only calls me Justin now,” Justin couldn't help but say, still hating his original name that made him sound like he was seventy. “And yeah, it's been too long.”

 

Before he knew what was happening, he found himself with an armful of his sister who was now giving him a hug.

 

“Justin, I missed you so much! And I am sooooooo sorry!”

 

Justin allowed Molly to hug him and hugged her back, realizing that he had really missed her as well. More than he had thought. “I missed you, too,” he then took a step back and nodded for her to come into the apartment. “Why don't you come inside? Dinner is almost ready.”

 

Molly followed him inside and took a look around. “It hasn't really changed, has it?” She had been at his apartment before, only once or twice when Lizzie had just been born and she had come to see her little niece, the newest member of the royal family. That now felt like another life to Justin.

 

“Daphne and I decided to keep it. In case we are needed in New York. For my shows, for Brian's work, whatever. It's just a good idea to have a base here as well,” he said as he led her into the dining room where Brian was just opening the wine bottle.

 

She watched the older man with interest, watching how he elegantly opened the wine bottle. When he was done, Justin went over and immediately rested a hand on Brian's arm. She could immediately see the familiarity in that gesture. How Brian's gaze immediately moved to Justin's, met his and how they had a quiet conversation that needed no words. When Justin nodded almost imperceptibly, Brian nodded as well and broke the moment, looking at Molly now.

 

Justin then introduced them to each other. “Brian, this is my sister, Molly. Molly, this is Brian, my partner.”

 

Molly came over and was quite surprised when Brian bowed slightly.

 

“It's nice to meet you, Princess,” he said politely.

 

“It's nice to meet you, too. I've heard so much about you,” she said with a smile, then shook her head in amusement. “And please, none of that Princess stuff. It's only us and we're family.”

 

“You and Justin are,” Brian said politely, but then nodded. “But if that's what you want, sure.”

 

“Oh please, you've been dating my brother for how long? That makes us family as well. And really? I mostly find all that fuss very annoying,” she said with an honest, open smile.

 

“Well, looks like you two have that in common, then,” Brian said with a smirk, before he held up the bottle of wine. “Would you like a glass?”

 

“Oh yes, please,” she said, then looked back at her brother. “Daphne told me that he was hot, but I had no idea he was this hot. The images don't do him justice.”

 

Justin just rolled his eyes, not able to believe that his sister had really just said that. “Really? You know that will go right to his head, don't you?”

 

“Sunshine, it just shows your sister has great taste,” Brian smirked, then poured each of them a glass of wine as well.

 

“I want to hear all about how you two met... I mean, I read what the newspapers said, but I doubt that's the real story,” Molly said next, smiling disarmingly at both men.

 

“Why don't we sit down and I get the starters?” Justin said, then moved towards the kitchen, leaving Brian and Molly on their own.

 

They both watched after him, before Brian nodded towards the table and they sat down.

 

“Is he okay with this?” Molly asked, looking at Brian with worried eyes. “I mean... with this meeting? He seems so... nervous.”

 

Brian eyed her for the longest time, not sure how much he should say. But he liked her, she had made a good first impression on him, so he decided to be honest with the young woman. “He's just not sure what the evening will bring. Interactions with your family haven't really ended well for him in recent years.”

 

Molly hung her head and sighed. “I know and I am sorry. I... I wish I would have said something sooner.”

 

“I am not the person who needs to hear that,” Brian just said, then looked at Justin when he came in with a bowl of Greek salad that he had prepared for their starter.

 

Molly nodded, then looked at Justin when he had sat the bowl down and had sat down next to Brian.


“This looks really good, Justin. Did you make it?”

 

Justin nodded, before he handed the bowl to her, so she could take some salad. “I've always loved cooking. It calms me down.”

 

They all took some salad and bread that Justin had made earlier and started eating. Molly asked questions about Daphne, about Lizzie and soon they had some polite conversation going. Justin asked her about her studies, she was studying International Relations at New York University and would soon be starting her final year, but they stayed clear of their family, the throne or the last two years.


They made their way through the main course, chicken breast cooked in a sauce of mushrooms, peppers and a light white wine sauce, served with rice and ended their dinner with fresh brownies and ice-cream. It hadn't been a grand dinner, but one that Justin and Brian had always liked and often had at home, too. It was almost like their comfort food, which was why Justin had wanted to make it that night.

 

When dinner was over, it became more and more apparent that everyone was trying to avoid the elephant in the room. In the end it was Brian, who had enough and decided to give the two siblings the nudge in the right direction that they so obviously needed.

 

He took their empty plates, then leaned down and gave Justin a kiss. “Why don't I go and leave you two on your own, so you can catch up in private?”

 

Justin's eyes widened a bit and he was about to say something when Molly spoke up.

 

“You don't have to leave, Brian.”

 

Brian smiled at her and shook his head. “Don't worry. I'll just be next door in the kitchen and will get a headstart cleaning up after dinner.” And then he left, leaving Justin and Molly on their own.

 

There was a silence for a few seconds as Justin looked after Brian.


“He is really nice. It's obvious how much he loves you,” Molly said, bringing Justin back to the here and now.

 

“I love him, too,” Justin said without thinking.

 

“I am glad you met him, Justin... he seems really good for you.”

 

Justin nodded, then took another sip from his wine glass. “He is. I don't know where I would be without him.”

 

Molly eyed her brother, knowing that he had more to say, but was trying to put his thoughts in order.

 

“Brian was the one who showed me that I deserved happiness as well. That there was more to my life than just duty and the crown. That the life I had always dreamed of didn't just have to be a dream, but was within reach.”


Molly nodded, understanding what Justin was saying.

 

“It looks like you two are really happy. That you have a good life in Pittsburgh,” she said quietly.

 

Justin met her gaze and nodded. “We do,” he agreed, then sighed, knowing that they couldn't avoid the real reason for their meeting for much longer. “Molly... I am sorry that... that the crown and everything that goes with it has now been dumped in your lap... because of me and... everything.”

 

“It's not your fault,” Molly replied quietly, holding Justin's gaze.

 

“Yes, it is. If I had just continued the life I had with Daphne and Lizzie... if I had just continued playing the part, this would have never become your life.”

 

“But it wouldn't have been you. You wouldn't have been happy. It would have been a lie,” Molly pointed out.

 

Justin shrugged. “It would have been better for you. I am sure you must hate me for passing all this down to you.”

 

“I don't hate you,” Molly said seriously. “And maybe it would have been better for me, but at what cost? You living a lie for the rest of your life? You being unhappy?”

 

“I just wish my mess wouldn't have affected you like this,” Justin said sadly. “That there could have been a different outcome for you.”

 

Molly shook her head, then reached over the table and took Justin's hand. “Maybe this is exactly what was supposed to happen. You now have the life that you have always wanted, that you have always dreamed of. You can be yourself, you can be happy with Brian and Lizzie.”

 

“And at what cost?” Justin repeated Molly's earlier question. “That you are now caught in a life that wasn't supposed to be yours, but mine?”

 

Molly's voice was serious when she spoke. “I won't lie. At first... I didn't look forward to becoming queen one day. I... that had never been my intention and I have to admit that I quite liked being the child in the background, the one that no one really paid attention to, but... when I saw how you were treated because of something as insignificant as who you love... it made me angry on your behalf. The way you were treated... that was not okay, Justin. And... the more I have thought about it in recent months, the more I have realized that I don't want to be part of a system like that. So... when I become queen one day, I will insist that things change. It's time that Darumor arrives in the 21st century as well.”

 

“Mother won't like that,” Justin pointed out, knowing that it was the truth.

 

“I don't care. Once I am queen, there isn't much she can do about it... Her and Dad... they have always acted like they are special people just because of who their parents were, but really? They didn't do anything to deserve these titles. The monarchy is caught in traditions that are hundreds of years old and have no place in our society any longer. Look at Sweden, look at the Netherlands, look at Denmark and Norway: They have all moved into the 21st century: Their kids go to public schools, they marry who they want, not caring if the person is a royal or not... hell, not even caring if the person has been married before or not. They have arrived in modern times and I want that for us as well. It's long overdue.”

 

“You didn't learn that at St. James',” Justin chuckled, knowing how conservative all the private schools their parents had sent them to had been. Their whole education had been to let them know that they were white and privileged and that it was up to them to keep it that way. To keep the Status Quo.

 

“God, no!” Molly shuddered, thinking back to her years at that school. She had hated every day. “Maybe mother and father shouldn't have sent us to the US for our education. They have this thing called internet and TV where you can read up on things like equality, tolerance and acceptance and watch movies and shows about it.”

 

“Molly, have you thought this through? You will have mother against you, all the advisors, everyone at court really,” Justin said, looking at his sister with eyes full of worry. “You know that none of them like change and that they all love their traditions that make them feel like they are so much better than everyone else.”

 

Molly sighed, then nodded. “I know it won't be easy, but... if I have a child one day and they end up being gay or lesbian or bi or whatever... I don't want them to go through what you went through. That was not acceptable.”

 

“Thank you for saying that,” Justin said quietly, not looking at her, but at the wine glass in his hands.

 

“I am just sorry that I wasn't there for you when it mattered. I... I know I should have supported you when all that shit went down, but... at the time... I didn't know what to do and how you would react and then... there was mother...”

 

“It's okay, Molly,” Justin said, looking at his sister. “It's all in the past.”

 

“No, it's not okay. I should have stood up to mother and supported you, but... “

 

“I know what she's like,” Justin muttered. “You really don't have to explain.”

 

“Are you angry with me because I didn't speak up for you?” Molly asked next, eying him with sad eyes.

 

Justin thought about his reply for several seconds, then shook his head. “No,” he said, knowing that he wasn't. Maybe he had been angry in the beginning, but really, now, two years later, it was all water under the bridge. Molly was here now, she seemed to really want to change things, she seemed to really want to make things better for him and everyone else who would be coming after him and that was all that mattered to Justin at this point. “I am not. I understand that it was an impossible situation for you... a situation caused by me.”

 

“You didn't ask for it,” Molly pointed out. “None of what happened was really your fault.”

 

Justin smiled gratefully. “Let's just agree to disagree on that one. I know we've never been close and... when that video came out... I know that mother, the palace, everyone went into damage control mode. I had embarrassed the family name, besmirched the legacy of our family. I don't blame you for not reaching out when everyone most likely told you that I was now persona non grata.”

 

“I know we can't change the past, but... I would really love if we could stay in each other's lives now,” Molly said quietly. “You're right, we've never been close before, mostly because we have never been in the same place for a long time and because I am so much younger, but... I would like to see if we could become closer now. You are my brother and I don't want to act like you don't exist. I want us to be part of each other's lives.”

 

“I would like that,” Justin smiled at his sister. “I really would.” He then raised his glass and clinked it against hers. “To a better future.”

 

“To a better future,” Molly said as well, smiling widely.

 

“Will you be going back to Darumor? Now that your semester is over?”

 

Molly nodded. “For a couple of weeks. Mother wants me to attend some meetings, learn some things, she said. I am not looking forward to it, but well... what can you do?”

 

“Why don't you come and visit us in Pittsburgh before you return to New York? See where we live, meet our family there,” Justin suggested and Molly smiled widely.

 

“I would love that. I have read so much about your mansion and the estate around it.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes. “Don't believe everything you read in the press. It's a big house, but not nearly the palace some press outlets would make you believe.”

 

“You love it though?”

 

Justin nodded, sighing happily. “It's home. It's the home Brian and I have built.”

 

“Then I am sure I will love it as well,” Molly said. “I can't wait to come and visit you both there.”

 

They smiled at each other and were still smiling happily when Brian returned to join them twenty minutes later. He had only wanted to see what the atmosphere was like, if both siblings were okay, but when he had returned from the kitchen, he had found the siblings together on the sofa, both having their glasses of wine and laughing about stories from the schools they had gone to.

 

He had a feeling that things would be okay between them, which made him really happy for Justin, but also for Molly as well. He knew that if Daphne was right and she wanted to change a lot of things at the palace, her future wouldn't be an easy one and she would need her brother's support.

 

Hopefully, they would be able to stay in contact and support each other, going forward.

 

Brian joined the siblings on the sofa and smiled when Justin immediately settled in his embrace, leaning his head on Brian's shoulder.

Molly watched them and was happy that her brother had found a man who loved him like that, loved him despite everything, despite who he was, despite his family, despite the media attention his identity brought. She could only hope that she would find the same one day as well.