- Text Size +

 

 

Toe-curling screams woke me up terrified. I ran downstairs, afraid something happened to Gus.

The light in the entry hallway was on. Gus was sitting up on the couch, still screaming, while Brian stood frozen in the doorway of the living room staring at him in horror.

I pushed past Brian, crouching next to Gus, rubbing his back. “It’s just your daddy. Shh.”

Gus took a huge breath, finally closing his mouth.

I could see all the lights on in the house across the street, and before I could wonder whether or not they heard the screams, the front door was slammed to the wall. Not three but five armed massive men stormed inside.

Gus cowered into me.

Brian finally snapped out of his stupor, ordering the security to leave us and that no one was in danger. Only Ben lingered, his eyes on me and Gus. Brian had to push him out of the house.

“Fuck.” I heard him cursing as he locked up. Then he joined us, sitting next to Gus. “I’m so sorry, Sonny Boy. I had no idea you were on the couch.”

“You scared me real bad, Daddy.”

Brian pulled him on his lap. “Like I said, I’m very sorry.”

“You stink.”

I covered my mouth not to laugh at Gus’s raw honesty.

“I guess I need a shower. Let me tuck you in and then I’ll freshen up.”

“I can take him to bed. You go shower,” I offered.

Gus clung to my neck as I walked to his room.

“So what exactly scared you?” I was curious.

“There was a bang noise and then I saw someone in the doorway. Even when I knew it was Daddy, I couldn’t stop screaming.”

“Aw, buddy.” I kissed his head. “Do you want to sleep with us?” I asked, remembering that’s what I used to do when I was scared as a child.

“Can I?” His eyes widened.

“I don’t see why not.” As much as I had missed Brian more than anything else, we had to compromise.

I took Gus to our bedroom, getting comfy under the blanket.

When Brian returned in only a towel – thank heavens, he had the towel, because I knew him – he stopped in his tracks.

“Come on, Daddy. We saved you a spot.” Gus patted the empty space next to him.

Brian quirked a brow at me, as he stepped in a pair of boxers. He came to my side, leaning down to kiss me. “Missed you, Painter Boy.”

“Missed you too. I hope you don’t mind, but Gus is pretty shaken.”

“I’d be too if five armed gorillas barged into my house after I already had one scare,” he muttered, upset. “Just wait until morning.”

“Hey.” I caught his hand. “Don’t be mad at them. They had no idea we weren’t being murdered. Hell, the way Gus was screaming, I thought someone was chopping him alive.”

“Gross,” Gus mumbled.

I poked my tongue out at him.

Brian laid down on his son’s other side, snuggling him close.

“You still stink, Daddy. I’m really okay. I’ll sleep in the other room.” He crawled out of the bed, heading to the door.

I slid closer to Brian taking a sniff. Oh. He had drunk and he had smoked.

“That’s why I prefer to make a cameo appearance and not have him full time.” Brian laughed.

“So were you partying?” I asked curiously.

“After the rally, there was a private party. Politics and whiskey was on the table. There was this guy who kept bringing me glasses of whiskey like they were candy.”

“He wanted you drunk to take advantage of you,” I whispered.

“Little did he know I’m a Stepford husband these days.”

I chuckled, snuggling into his side.

Brian got handsy under the blanket. I was afraid Gus would hear us, but my need for Brian won the fear of being discovered.

.

.

.

In the morning I woke up feeling hot. There was a heavy weight on my chest. Cracking an eye open, I found Brian's head on my stomach, his arms wrapped around me. From the man who got out of the bed after fucking, he had come a long way.

I stroked a hand through his hair, and he stirred. I felt his soft lips kissing my abdomen. “Mhmm,” he hummed sleepily.

“Wow. I don’t remember the last time I woke up and you were in bed with me.”

“I think it happened last week,” he said in a rough voice.

“You were awake and on your laptop back then. Now you were sleeping.”

“I can’t sleep well when I’m not home,” he admitted.

“Aww.”

“Not a word.” He turned to face me, narrowing his eyes.

There was a knock on our door. “Are you guys awake yet? I’m hungry.”

“I’m the worst dad in the world.” Brian sat up, yawning and stretching.

“Coming, buddy,” I called out.

We didn’t bother to get fully dressed, just the boxers. I should have known by now that there was a possibility to find one of the security men in the kitchen.

Thankfully, it was just Drew. He was with Gus at the table, helping him pour maple syrup on a stack of pancakes.

“Spoil my kid, by all means,” Brian grunted, stopping at the coffee maker.

I rolled my eyes at Drew, then leaned over Gus’s chair, hugging him. “Happy birthday, kiddo!”

His eyes lit up. “You know!”

“Course I do.” I kissed his cheek. “So how old are you now?” I asked, even though I knew.

“Six.” He beamed, turning his focus on his breakfast.

Brian sat next to Gus with his mug, ruffling his hair. Gus grinned at him.

I poured myself a cup of coffee, leaning against the counter and watching them. It wasn’t often when I could see this relaxed Brian. He was currently declining Gus’s offer the share his breakfast. Brian was always careful with what he ate to keep himself in shape.

“You want some?” Gus turned to me.

“They’re yours, Gussy,” I said softly.

“Drew made lots. Come on. Or you don’t eat sweets like Daddy?”

“I love sweets.” I joined them at the table, accepting a couple of pancakes. “Really good.” I nodded to Drew.

“If I hadn’t chosen this path, I was thinking to go professional in the football career or as a cook. But I guess the pleasure in playing football or cooking wouldn’t be the same if I did it as a job.”

I shrugged. “You’re talking to the wrong person. I’ve wanted to become a painter since I was three. It still hasn’t lost its charm.”

“I want to be a painter too,” Gus declared. “What about you, Daddy?”

Brian locked his phone, placing it on the table, catching my eye. I could tell he had no clue what we had been talking about.

“We were discussing what career we’d have chosen if we hadn’t chosen what we’re currently doing,” I supplied.

“Easy. I’ve always been fascinating with digital art and the creation of an advertisement.”

“Oh. Sounds wonderful.” I nodded.

“Anyway, we have a surprise for you, Gus.” Brian downed his coffee. “Are you finished?”

“What surprise?” Gus was already out of his chair.

“Let’s get dressed.” Brian scooped him up, carrying him under his arm out of the kitchen. I could hear Gus’s gleeful laughter from all the way upstairs.

“How mad is Brian about last night?” Drew asked, taking one pancake from Gus’s abandoned plate.

“I totally understand why you all barged in here. Gus fell asleep on the couch and he was startled awake by Brian’s appearance.”

“Oh. Poor kid. I tried telling the others it was Gus screaming, happy to see his father.”

“He was scared, Drew.”

“Yeah well. Matt was sure it was you screaming.”

I scoffed. He shrugged. “I’ll let the others know we’re ready to leave in half an hour.”

.

.

.

It took us an hour to get ready to leave.

We were currently piled up in the back of the Merc. Gus was bouncing in his seat, glued to the window.

“Where are we going?” I asked, confused when we didn’t take the route for the girls’ house.

Brian pursed his lips. “Can’t tell.”

“Whoa! I’ve always wanted to come here!” Gus exclaimed a while later.

We stopped in front of a large building. It was an old warehouse turned into children playground. They were supposed to have all kinds of cool games. I knew of it because Brian had told me about it some time ago when we passed it on the way to the airport.

Before I could follow Gus out of the car, Brian pulled my hood up. The place looked deserted as I walked toward the building with Hank beside me. Gus was skipping ahead of us, holding Matt’s hand. When we reached the entrance, I looked behind to see Brian wearing a baseball cap, flanked by Drew and Ben.

Inside the building, there was a wide reception area and through a set of glass doors I could see the large room. It was decorated for a birthday party with garlands and balloons and a table stacked with presents.

Gus was glued to the door, waving at his mommies and friends on the other side.

Brian joined us, walking to the reception desk. The lady didn’t seem fazed at who was in front of her, which made me realize Brian had planned this for a while.

The glass doors opened and Gus ran inside, shouting gleefully.

Brian led me inside with a hand on my back. “We won’t stay long.”

I wanted to tell him that I didn’t mind his child’s birthday party, but when he gave me a long, heated look, I knew the reason behind our early departure.

“Brian, you shouldn’t have!” Lindsay approached us.

“I’ve told you for months not to worry about his birthday,” Brian replied.

We turned to watch Gus running around the room with the few friends he had as guests. They climbed on some kind of tree, but soon got bored and dove for the ball pit. I could say I envied them. I wanted to play in that thing too.

I realized I was standing in the middle of the room staring at the ball pit. Brian was at the refreshment table with Lindsay and a couple other parents.

“We missed you, Justin.” Melanie came to my side, hugging me.

“Yeah, we’ve been busy,” I said lamely.

“You know that you can visit us without Brian, right?”

“Oh. I didn’t want to intrude,” I said. As much as I liked them, I didn’t consider myself close to them. They were Brian's friends, his family. “Besides, I’ve been painting for the best part of the past couple of months.”

“That’s true. You’re going to have a show in November of what I hear.” Melanie smiled.

I nodded, telling her about the theme and what I planned on doing. Lindsay joined us, interested in my art.

After a while when I looked around for Brian, half-expecting him to be in a corner on his phone, I gasped. He was on the plush carpet with all the children around him, telling them a story judging by their delighted faces.

“You don’t see that every day, huh?” Lindsay giggled.

“I have to admit, I didn’t take Brian as a big child lover.”

“As long as they behave, they’re alright. He’ll get bored soon, trust me.” She winked.

I noticed the other parents on a set of couches chatting. “So they’re used to see Brian?” I nodded to them.

“Not really, but judging by how much we pay for Gus’s private school, we expect discretion.”

“I guess.”

When all the children were coaxed to eat something, Brian pulled me aside by the hand. “I’m about done.”

I laughed. “Don’t you want to stay longer with Gus?”

“He has the time of his life with his friends.”

After taking Gus aside and explaining we were leaving, but we would see him again soon, we left.

 

In the car, Brian invaded my personal space, whispering dirty things in my ear. I couldn’t wait to get home.