- Text Size +

 

 

Brian briefed me on what Ben had told him. The homophobe group was caught before New Year, which meant we had been missing for half a month.

We would know details about what happened to the members of that group when we landed. For now, we were in a small, private jet taking us home.

I dozed off for a few minutes, and when I looked around I couldn’t see Brian. Thinking he was in the bathroom, I stared out the small window waiting for him. When ten minutes passed, I decided to check on him

I found him at the back of the plane, talking to himself.

I tried not to spy, but it was hilarious how he was talking to the bottle of water.

“I'm queer! And to anyone who takes pity or offense, I say, "judge yourself." This is who I am.”

I applauded, making him drop the bottle. He scowled up at me.

“Don’t stop. You were so poetic.”

“I’m working on my speech.”

“Maybe you should let your people do it for you,” I said softly, sitting across from him.

“Not this time.” He snatched the bottle off the floor, placing it on the table. “If it were for me, I wouldn’t have run across the country like a scared, little faggot. I’m ready to remind all the homophobes, they have a gay president and they should deal with it. As long as I don’t fuck them, it’s none of their business.” His eyes widened. “That’s a good one. I should add it. Hey, Kip,” he shouted at the flight attendant. “Can I have a paper and pen?”

“Right away, sir.”

“You’re not serious,” I gasped, watching as Kip brought Brian a small notebook and a pen.

“Thanks.” He immediately started scribbling.

“Brian…” I had to talk sense into him.

“They can’t impeach me because I’m gay.”

“No, but they will make your life hell.”

“I did more good to this fucking country than any other president. I kept all my promises. And if I knew something was not reachable, attainable, I made sure not to create illusions.”

“I know,” I cajoled, stroking his arm. “Don’t act hasty.”

“I’m not. I can be loud and angry, too. They have no idea they upset the wrong person.”

It was futile to stop Brian. I had more chances to arm wrestle Ben and win, than to make Brian listen to me.

#

It was the little hours of the morning when we rolled through the gate at the White House.

I had a sense of déjà-vu when Ben and Drew greeted us as soon as we got out of the car.

“Hey! Nice to see you,” I said in greeting.

They both shot me small, relieved smiles.

Brian walked with purpose inside. He had worked himself out over his speech, and now he was angry.

“What’s up with him?” Drew whispered in my ear.

We stopped at the stairs. Brian cupped my cheek, kissing my brow. “Go to bed. I have to talk to Ben and Drew, then I’ll join you.”

I was ready to protest, but I knew he had to do this on his own. “Don’t stay up too late,” I warned him, heading up the stairs.

“Welcome back, sir.”

I jumped out of my skin at the voice that greeted up on the upper level. I shot Matt an annoyed look, but it was a relief to see him. “It’s good to be back,” I replied. “And, call me Justin,” I repeated for the thousandth time.

Matt escorted me to the presidential bedroom, before he joined the marine at the end of the hallway.

I took a hot shower, before I crawled in bed. It felt fantastic to be in this bed, where I actually felt safe for the first time in weeks.

I tried to wait awake for Brian, but eventually sleep won. I was vaguely aware of the mattress dipping and arms wrapping around me.

#

In the morning, we had a quiet breakfast, before Brian led me to his office. He was short with everyone who tried to stop him during our walk through the corridors, and once inside his office, he started pacing like a caged lion.

“What’s the plan?” I dared to ask.

I was getting tired of watching him wearing a path in the carpet.

He stopped at his desk, shoulders tense. “I will allow Theodore his five minutes of glory while he rambles about keeping the country alive without me, before I make my entrance.”

“Okay…”

He turned around to face me, leaning against the desk. “I stayed up until four to work on my speech. I dare any television to ban it. The printing companies would have a field day, for sure.”

“Brian…can I see the speech?”

“You’ll be just as surprised as everyone else. Nothing you, or Blake, or Ben, or Ted…or even Santa tell me, will make me change my mind.”

The door of his office opened to reveal Vice-President Schmidt, followed by the communication director, and Ben. Ben seemed surprised by my presence, because he muttered something in his sleeve, keeping his eyes on me.

I would rather be anywhere than in that room where chaos was about to explode.

“We’re ready in five,” Ben said loudly.

“Good.” Brian went to the mirror next to the fireplace, straightening his tie.

I felt sick at my stomach when the doors leading outside opened. I could see the sea of reporters waiting like sharks, ready to sink their teeth in the helpless, bleeding animal.

“Go, make me proud,” Brian joked, pushing Ted to the doors.

He left with Blake.

I tried to pay attention to what he was saying, but my ears were buzzing. With the corner of my eye, I saw Ben attempting a conversation with Brian, only to be brushed off.

Brian came to me, pulling me up from where I was sitting on the couch. He smoothed my dress shirt, smiling tightly.

“Keep an ear for when I say your name. I want you next to me.”

I opened my mouth to argue, but chose only to nod. I refused to look at Ben, knowing he wouldn’t approve.

Brian cocked his head to the side, and I became aware of Ted’s voice praising Brian and me, saying how lucky we were to have found refuge in the last place anyone expected.

“I’ve changed my mind,” Brian declared loudly.

I sighed in relief at the same time a Ben.

“We’re walking outside together. Hand in hand.” Brian took my hand, squeezing my fingers.

I shot Ben a panicked look, but he shook his head. I knew it wasn’t wise to argue with an upset Brian, but this was ridiculous.

“Here is proof our president is back in a better shape than ever.”

Brian chuckled at Ted’s introduction, as he led me outside. I hoped I wouldn’t faint, or puke.

“Thank you, Mr. Schmidt,” Brian said softly, taking his spot at the podium where the microphone was. Brian looped his arm around my waist, holding me close. “Good morning!”

I looked around, seeing the intrigued, amazed, scandalized faces in the crowd.

“As we are all aware by now, our lives have been endangered by a group of people who thought themselves better than the rest of us. They believed being gay is still considered a capital sin, and we deserved to die.”

I wanted to die of mortification, especially when I saw the reporters gasping and looking amongst themselves, probably checking if they had heard Brian correctly.

Brian went on, unperturbed. “We have news for everyone who still shares their beliefs. Being a homosexual isn’t a crime. Attempt murder is a crime, though.”

I dug my fingers into Brian's side, hoping to make him stop, before he got himself in deeper.

“So…as long as I don’t fuck you, it’s none of your business what I do…who I do. I'm queer! And to anyone who takes pity or offense, I say, "judge yourself." This is who I am.”

I had to put a stop to this insanity, but I had no idea how.

A hand shot up somewhere in the sea of stunned reporters.

Brian cleared his throat, narrowing his eyes at the man. “Yes?”

“Jeremy Fraser. Out magazine,” the man said in introduction. “I admire your courage for this speech, sir. But with all due respect, if any other queer was in your situation, they would have ended up dead, but not before being scared out of their minds for being hunted.”

Brian dropped his hand from around me, and grabbed the edge of the stand with both hands. I kept a hand on his back, because I knew he was about to rip that guy a new one.

“If you think, for a second, that I wasn’t scared out of my mind while being hunted, you are wrong. I am the best and worst example that for these homophobes, social status doesn’t matter. Justin and I had to leave in the middle of the night with a vague idea of where we were headed. Our lives were put a stake several times during the trip. When all our plans were met with proof this group of homophobes was a step ahead of us, we took refuge somewhere no one was able to find us. Granted, it took weeks for the Secret Services to locate us.” Brian reached one hand to take mine. “We were worried and scared in the place we had to hide. I had fought with every politician about the laws favoring gay people, especially so such traumatizing events could be avoided. No one should be afraid to be who they are, simply because a larger group of people believes they are being superior and have a God complex.”

Another timid hand rose from the front row. This woman didn’t say who she was, though her question upset me. “Are you going to walk away, Mr. President?”

“I will eventually return inside, thank you for asking.”

She didn’t dare reformulate her question.

A shaky voice from the back of the crowd came over the rumor that started. I caught only Simon something, New York something, and part of the question…if they were caught what would Brian had done.

Brian waited a moment for everyone to quiet down, before he answered, “I had a weapon, thanks to my bodyguard. To answer your question, without a doubt, I would have shot them. But I believe any person in our situation would have done the same. And that is a legitimate way to use a weapon, before I hear questions about abusing of weapons or gun control.”

Blake not so subtly sent us back inside, saying there would be no further questions at the moment.

Inside Brian's office, all I wanted was to run for the hills, but he kept me at his side.

Ted was sitting on the couch along with a few other men I had only seen on TV, and I couldn’t remember their names. Ben, Drew, and Matt were by the door leading out of the office.

Blake closed the patio doors harshly, making me jump.

“I won’t take any questions, either,” Brian said calmly.

“You fucked yourself over. Without lube,” Blake spat.

“Not my style.”

“This is serious, man. You’ll keep the press busy for months with this speech.”

“Good. I need them off my back to focus on more pressing matters.” Brian went to sit in his chair behind the desk. “Were you scheduled for today, Steve?” He focused on one of the men on the couch.

“I obviously didn’t realize you would be busy. We can reschedule.”

“Of course not. I’ve been meaning to meet with you for at least two months. There was never a good time.”

Brian turned to Blake, pointing to the door. “Dismissed. Ted, stay.” His eyes met mine, and they softened considerably.

“I’ll go over to see Emmett and Michael,” I said, before he could give me any instructions.

“Okay. Take Drew with you. Matt…” He waved Matt closer, and it was my cue to scurry out the door with Drew on my heels.

“Impressive speech,” Drew commented.

“Don’t,” I begged. “Let me change out of this shirt, and we can go.”

It didn’t take me long to discard of the formal shirt and replace it with a sweater and my winter jacket. Drew was in front of our bedroom where I had left him.

“The car is in the garage,” he explained, leading me to one of the elevators. “I bet you don’t want to face the reporters.”

I cringed. “I refrained from stepping on his foot, or simply slapping a hand over his mouth multiple times during his speech,” I admitted.

“You should have heard Ben groaning with each word out of Brian's mouth.”

“How much trouble is he in?”

“There are people around him for this very reason. Everyone has their own task to aid to him – how he talks, how he dresses, how early or late he is to some event, how safe he is…”

I climbed into the passenger seat of the Cadillac. Drew joined me and patted my shoulder.

“Stop fretting. Brian is a grown up, and so is everyone in his staff. At the end of the day, he’s still the President of the United States, and can do anything.”

“Even when his speech has done more wrong?” I protested.

“Why do you say that? Maybe you should watch the interview and pay attention to his words. After the initial shock at what he was saying, I decided to detach and listen to his speech from a simple gay man’s perspective.”

I lowered in my seat instinctively when we arrived outside, but no one could see inside. Some of the lingering reporters tried a peek at who was leaving the White House, but they could only see their reflections in the black tinted windows.

On the drive to our home, I tried to remember Brian's words, but I had been too horrified by what he was saying for his message to sink into my brain. I could bet every TV channel was playing it on repeat, and I would get to see it once we arrived at our destination.