- Text Size +

 

 

I expected Emmett to tackle me when we arrived home, but Drew and I stepped into the hallway, and no one appeared to hug me.

It was true, they didn’t know I was coming.

From the living room, I could hear the end of Brian's speech, which explained why neither Emmett nor Michael came to check who had arrived.

I toed off my boots, and joined them in the living room.

Emmett sprang to his feet. He seemed ready to jump into Drew’s arms, but he spotted me.

“Oh, Baby! I’m so happy you’re alright.” Emmett hugged me tightly.

“Hey, guys. It’s been a while,” I said softly. “We can’t seem to catch a break.”

“Hey, Justin.” Michael came closer to hug me, too. “I loved the part where Brian admitted he was ready to become a mass murderer, but he is still against weapons.”

“Can we talk about anything else?” I begged.

“Are you allergic to cats?” Emmett asked out of blue.

“No. Remember, Ethan had a cat,” I said, unsure why I brought my ex up, but it would explain to Emmett that I was definitely not allergic to cats.

“Good. We adopted a stray. She lives here now.”

I choked on my spit. I looked around, not spotting the cat. “Where is she?”

“Around here, probably sleeping,” Michael said, shrugging. “I tried to keep Emmett from doing this, but Ben helped with buying food and a scratch mat and some toys.”

“What the hell are we going to do with the cat? We don’t live here at the moment.”

“You can bring it with you,” Drew suggested.

“Do you want the dog to eat her?” I could only imagine Bruce salivating at the sight of the cat.

“We’ll figure something. Now, come eat something. You lost weight.” Emmett ushered me toward the kitchen.

“We shopped for a couple of weeks’ worth of being trapped in there. But as the time period of our stay at my former condo prolonged, we had to cut the food ratio.”

“Didn’t you sell the condo?” Michael asked, confused.

“That was the plan. Mom never found a buyer. Besides, after the gallery downtown closed, Mom sent my paintings there, instead of shipping them to this address. She was probably worried.” I shrugged.

“That was genius. No one even thought of that as a potential place where you were hiding,” Michael said, amused.

“Not even Ben and Drew…” I mumbled.

I noticed Drew going into the hallway, answering his phone.

I tried to pay attention to Michael and Emmett arguing about our safety in my condo, but my eyes were on Drew. He was pacing, which meant no good news.

I joined Drew as soon as he hung up. He stared at me with a blank expression, making my stomach twist uneasily.

“Hank is across the street if you need anything. I suggest you stay here with your friends. We’re taking Brian to New York.”

“What? So sudden?” I was confused.

“Well, his speech deserves the evening news prime time, along with him.” Drew rolled his eyes.

“Shit.”

“Don’t worry. He’ll be safe with us.” Drew patted my shoulder. “I’ll say my goodbye to Emmett and go.”

I went to the living room, and slumped on the sofa. I would have never guessed the turns my life would take when I agreed to embark this relationship with Brian. If I ever considered my life dull, now it was anything but that.

Michael joined me, and sat next to me. “I hear you’re staying here.”

“I have so much shit to do. I have a show at the end of the month,” I reminded him. “I might be able to push it out to February, but no further.”

“Oh, and are you anywhere near done?”

“Somewhat. I worked on this new collection restlessly until the re-election. Then all my energy and inspiration went down the drain.” I rubbed at my eyes, trying not to think for how long we had been aware of the threats.

Emmett came into the living room with three glasses and a bottle of vodka.

I had to laugh, because it reminded me how the three of us used to do this every other week, if not more often depending on our schedule.

“I missed this,” I admitted.

“I know, Baby. You look like you need a drink…or ten.” He filled all the glasses, rising his. “To more reunions like this.”

Michael scowled at Emmett, rising his glass. “To Justin and Brian's safety.”

I touched both their glasses, spilling some liquid on the carpet. “Amen…to both.” I downed my glass, fully aware I was getting drunk.

“Whoa! This glass is bigger than what we had,” Emmett gasped.

I took the bottle, topping my glass. “To friends.”

“So what did you do locked up in your condo?” Emmett inquired.

I gave him a long look, because it was obvious we had fucked like rabbits with nothing else to do.

“Did you still have a radio or TV in there?” Michael asked curiously.

I shook my head, taking a sip from my glass. “We fucked if it wasn’t abundantly clear. And we created morbid scenarios about being discovered fossilized after a decade.”

Emmett laughed loudly. “Sounds like something you’d come up with.”

“Actually, that was all Brian. I had left all my morbid scenarios about dying in the cabin in Aspen.”

“Shit. Somehow I forgot we almost lost you twice in the span of a month.” Michael winced, taking a drink.

“For this year, we’re going to cancel December. I also demand refunds for this one that passed.” I downed my glass. “Fuck. I never expected such adventures when I decided to date Brian.”

“And let’s not forget how we found lovers in Brian's security detail,” Emmett said, amused.

“That’s crazy,” I laughed, already feeling the effect from the vodka spreading through my body. It didn’t stop me to pour another glass for myself. “I really hope the shock of Brian's speech dies down fast.”

Emmett rubbed my back, and I leaned into his side.

“It might be a while,” Michael quipped, his eyes fixed on the flat screen.

I grabbed the remote control, upping the volume. CNN was replaying Brian's speech, and I paid attention to his words, like Drew had instructed me. It was true, if heard from an outsider’s point of view, it didn’t sound terrible. Brian had spoken in a way to reach to every member of our community, as he usually did. Though, his speech wasn’t as chiseled as everyone was used to hear. In all reality, his words sounded more honest because they were his and not created by an army of people who were paid to write such things.

“God, Justin, you can ask Michael if you don’t believe me, but I cried when I heard Brian's speech,” Emmett said with emotion in his voice. “This man loves you so much.”

I stared at the way Brian had held me close, often looking at me. I hadn’t noticed his eyes on me. I had been too busy looking at the reporters.

It was clear, from Brian's every gesture, every word, every look, how much he loved me. Hell, I knew how much. He had fired a weapon at someone to keep me safe.

“And Ben looks ready to shoot him,” Michael laughed.

“Everyone was upset with Brian, me included. But now…I’m starting to see why he insisted to use his own words. As crude and crass as they are, it’s a part of him shared with the people.”

Emmett touched his glass to mine, grinning. “You always sounded poetic when you were drunk.”

“Fuck off,” I muttered.

At some point during the day, the cat they had rescued appeared in the living room. She came to inspect me, before going to sit on the windowsill and look outside.

Emmett offered to make lunch, but I wanted to order take-out. After all the vodka I had ingested, I wanted fast food.

It was in the late afternoon when the food arrived. Michael went to open the door, and not a minute later, I heard Hank’s voice asking what was going on.

I could vaguely recall a conversation with Matt, not that long ago, where he told me to let them know when I ordered take-out and from where. And to always use the address from the house across the street.

Well, fuck.

After the delivery guy left, Hank came inside the house with Michael. He stared at me disapprovingly.

“I forgot the deal. Cut me some slack,” I muttered. I brushed past him, on my way to the kitchen to get my burger.

“After what you’ve been through, you forgot,” Hank thundered, stopping me in the hallway.

“Yeah. Go ahead and shoot me for my lapse of judgement.”

Hank stepped back. “I apologize, sir. I’m only doing my job.”

I sighed loudly. “I know, Hank. Now, can I go and eat something?”

“Of course. If you need me, I’ll be across the street.”

“Sure. And Hank? Call me Justin, for Christ’s sake,” I protested.

He nodded, before disappearing out the door.

I joined my friends in the kitchen. Emmett was standing by the counter, looking worried.

“What did we do wrong?” he asked.

“We shouldn’t have ordered for this address. Did you have take-out food before?” I asked, curious if the policy applied if only I was here.

“No. Drew or Ben came with food, or I cooked,” Emmett explained.

“I see. Well, hand me a burger.”

“How do you get used to have them on your ass all the time?” Michael wondered, looking out the window at Hank going into the house across the street.

“You don’t,” I mumbled. “It took me ages to accept Ben and Drew. I knew they were there for Brian's safety, but they drove me crazy in the beginning. Especially Ben. Now, I have Matt and Hank. They’re my shadows.”

“Damn,” Michael whistled.

I took a bite from my burger, famished.

“Well, I guess you have to get used to them. Brian is the most important person in the world, and you are second most important.”

I scoffed at Emmett's words. “Definitely not.”

“I’m sure Brian will agree with me,” he retorted.

“Because he’s biased. Anyway, you two should be happy for having such mighty boyfriends.”

“Oh, oh!” Emmett clapped. “I’ve tackled a plan to expand my party planning career for politicians. Drew told me about a party at the end of the month at Senator Baxton’s house. I already talked to her husband, and I’m meeting him tomorrow to talk details.”

“Wow. That was fast. Well done, Em.” I bumped his fist. “It’s her birthday, right? I think Brian mentioned being happy to miss the hag’s birthday bash at the end of the month.”

“She’s very sweet and kind,” he defended his client.

“Whatever you say. So, you have a company to cater the party?”

“That’s the tricky part,” Michael said, amused. “He’s been on the phone constantly trying to find a catering service.”

“No one has heard of me here. I even tried contacting some of the friends I made in Pittsburgh, but they weren’t much help. They don’t know anyone here.” Emmett pouted.

“I could try and talk to Lindsay. She uses such a company for all the birthdays and anniversaries,” I offered.

 

“Oh, Baby! I’ll be forever grateful, or I’m going to bake and cook for an army all through next week.”

Chapter End Notes:

One chapter left. =)