- Text Size +

 

 

 

The kids were settled in bed and already asleep. It had been a long day, the flight, the diner and then meeting everyone at Deb’s. It was hard on Justin to see them again and it wasn’t even all of them. His phone pinged, telling him he had a text. It was from Brian, Justin had foolishly given his number to everyone or gave permission to give it out to the others.

Brian- Sunshine, get your ass ready we’re going to Babylon.

Justin- Did you forget I have kids? Kids I’m responsible for?

Mom- I already told Brian I’m on my way to watch my grandbabies.

It was then Justin noticed it was a group chat.

Justin- Mom, I don’t want to put you out.

Mom- It’s not putting me out. You should be staying at my place, but Jake wouldn’t like that.

His mom hated Jake with a passion, Tucker too. Anytime they visited it would just turn into an argument between the three with Molly joining at points if she came along. Justin thought Jake hated Molly more than he did his mom. His mom usually kept her mouth shut because of how she was raised. Molly Helen Taylor had no sort of filter.

Daphne- Please, Jus, I haven’t been out dancing since I got married. He’s no fun, he won’t go to Babylon. I think he’s too scared he’ll like it.

Justin- I can’t believe you brought my mother and Daphne into this.

Brian- Hey, they are the ones that begged me to set up something. You haven’t been home in nine years. I’m being nice and letting you have the V.I.P. room with bottle service. No waiting at the bar for you.

Molly- No way in hell am I turning down bottle service, especially if Brian is paying.

Justin- Not you too.

Molly- I’m bringing my friend Dirk; he’s never been and just dipping his toe into the gay pool.

Emmett- My God, honeybun, I’ve been waiting forever to see your little friend. Aunty Em will keep all the big, bad leather daddies away from him.

Molly- Maybe don’t, he does love leather.

Ted- Please God let me be home in bed when this all happens.

Blake- Sorry, we’re going too. It’s been forever since we’ve been out, not since Erika and Jasmine.

Justin- Who are Erika and Jasmine?

Ted- Our daughters, biologically Blake’s nieces, his sister was unable to care for them.

Justin- Oh, I didn’t know.

Brian- How would you? You cut all of us off.

Justin- Don’t start this again. Look, thanks for inviting me out but I just can’t go out tonight.

Hunter- If you don’t these idiots will never shut up. Just do it.

Lily- It’ll be fun. We’re coming.

Mel- We would have loved to, but someone didn’t invite us.

Brian- It’s not dyke night, I should have done away with the whole damn thing.

Lindsay- But Lily, Daphne and Molly are going.

Ted- They are not lesbians.

Hunter- Lily’s bi just like me.

Brian- No one cares about your quasi homosexual tendencies.

Mom- I just pulled up to the hotel. You had better be dressed to go out when I get up there. Wear something tight.

Justin- MOM! It’s not like I’m looking to hook up.

Mom- Well, you just never know. 😉

Brian- EVERYONE SHUT UP! If you come tonight not only is the V.I.P. room and bottle service on the house, I’ll send out for food. All paid for by me.

Justin- I’m not that hungry. Thanks for inviting me but really, I can’t go.

Brian- Everyone but Justin get out of the group.

Justin watched as one by one everyone left the group. He had noticed Ben and Michael were noticeably not in it. Once everyone was gone Justin waited for whatever Brian was going to do.

Brian- Alright, Sunshine, I tried talking to you, I tried being nice, but this shit needs to end. Was Michael ever scared to go out without Ben?

Justin- No.

Brian- Was Ted every worried about going out without Blake for fear of upsetting him?

Justin- No.

Justin noticed Brian hadn’t said anything about their previous relationship.

Brian- You have to see that this isn’t right. I’m not trying to end your relationship. Fuck, all I want is for you to come and have fun with us for one night. Your own mother is watching the kids, can’t get a better sitter than that.

Justin- I’ll go if you tell me what really happened with Ozzy?

It was lowdown asking using blackmail, but Justin was so curious.

Brian- If you come out, I’ll tell you in person. It’s not something to say over the text.

Justin-Done.

Justin thought his mom was a little too excited for him to go to a gay club she used to hate. She had also brought a shirt that was so tight it looked painted on. It was when she said if he got too tired and just wanted to sleep at the loft, that was fine with her. Suspicious, very suspicious. If he didn’t know any better, he would think his mom was trying to set him up with his ex. She knew Justin was married; sure it was a little strained right now but the adoption process does that.

The bouncer only waived Justin in, he didn’t recognize him. There was a huge line, longer than he ever remembered. Justin had only been to the club once after Brian put it back together. Only barely did Justin remember where the V.I.P. room was, but before he could make his way he was grabbed roughly.

“What the fuck are you doing here?”

The voice was so aggressive and angry that he cowered into himself. “What?” Justin got out before he was smacked to the ground. Before he could even think of what was happening two bouncers grabbed the stranger and pulled him away.

People were looking at him, it was awkward, no one should be seeing that. The man had looked familiar, but Justin couldn’t place him. Then it hit him, much like the man had, that was Brian’s husband…ex-husband. He looked so different from the picture that Justin used to make the painting of the two of them. That man was well put together, his black hair cut in a professional do. His clothes had looked just as expensive as Brian’s. Ozzy was also Brian’s age, not a dumb kid chasing after him. But the man who just hit him had long unkempt hair and looked to be wearing castoffs from the Big Q.

One of the bouncers quickly came back. “This way Mr. Taylor.”

“Taylor-Barnes,” Justin said automatically.

“Sorry, this way Mr. Taylor-Barnes. Most of your party has already arrived.” The bouncer opened a door and inside was a huge room with couches, tables, a small bar of its own, all in rich colors of burgundy and charcoal gray.

“BABY!” Emmett pulled him into a bone-crushing hug.

“Let the man breathe, Honeycutt.” Emmett glared at Brian for a moment before looking back at Justin.

“I’ve missed you so much. Brian told us that our invites got lost in the mail. All of this over a misunderstanding. I can’t believe it. Well, we’re not letting you go now.”

“Hey Justin,” an unfamiliar voice said.

Looking towards the back of the room he was greeted with a ghost from his past. What was he doing there?

“Eric, what are you doing here?”

“You know Eric? That’s great. He’s been one of the gang for what? The last six years,” Emmett said happily.

“How do you know him?” Brian asked Justin.

Eric answered instead. “I gave my virginity to him, and he ripped my heart out. Sent me on a spiral where I started drinking and sleeping around and then finally crawled myself out.”

“Bullshit. You did those things to yourself. Just admit it, you were a pussy who couldn’t get over a fuck in a club,” Brian bitched.

“It wasn’t in a club. It was a party that Daphne invited me to.”

Justin saw things clicking in place for Brian. It was funny, somethings Brian would never remember but if he was wronged, he would never forget. There was a look of betrayal in Brian’s eyes all these years later. He knew it happened then; Justin didn’t have to confirm it.

There was a knock at the door and Michael and Ben came in. Michael looked disturbed. “What was Ozzy doing?”

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Brian asked.

“I just saw one of your bouncers talking to a cop, Ozzy was in cuffs.”

“Shit,” Brian cursed.

“That might be because of me,” Justin told them. “I don’t know why but he hit me after recognizing me. The bouncers were fast and took him away.”

“Fucking asshole,” Brian cursed before walking out the door.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked the group.

There were a bunch of knowing looks passed between everyone, even Hunter’s girlfriend. How was she in the know and Justin wasn’t? He didn’t even want to think about Eric being a part of the group and knowing things he didn’t.

Lindsay and Mel chose that moment to come in. “We just saw Brian going off on Ozzy while cops were there. What the hell did he do to bring Rage live and in color?”

“Apparently the idiot ex decided to hit Justin,” Lily said.

“Why would Brian care?” Sure, when they were together Brian would get bothered by it. But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Maybe it was because Brian didn’t want any violence in his club, that made sense.

“You really have no idea, do you?” Michael asked, incredulous.

“Apparently not. Why don’t you tell me.”

“It’s not even worth it,” Michael said, shaking his head.

It was followed by an awkward silence until Brian came back. He looked a little bothered but pasted on his usual smirk. The one that said nothing can bother him, the one Justin knew was bullshit. Even after all these years he could read Brian. That made Justin wonder if Brian could still do the same.

“Why aren’t we drinking?” Brian asked, going to the small bar and pouring him a shot.

“I was promised food,” Hunter said.

“I promised Justin food.” Hunter pulled out his phone and cleared his throat. “Fucking fine. Order what you want, and I’ll cover the bills. You’re all a bunch of mooches and I despise you. And you better eat,” Brian said pointing an angry finger at Justin. Justin wanted to scream. He was so fucking tired of people telling him what to do. Eat this. Don’t eat this. Do you really need that? You need to gain weight. You need to lose weight. But like always, Justin just bit his lip, if he was forced to eat he would take care of it when he got back to the hotel. Wouldn’t be the first time he purged.

Brian sat two shots in front of Justin. “What the hell,” Justin said downing them both in rapid succession.