- Text Size +

 

 

After Justin picked Nick from school, they went to the painting supplies store, and Justin was surprised the old sales lady remembered him. He lost track of time, getting sucked in checking every color, different types of brushes, several sketch pads, and more blank canvas papers.

It was after five when they left the store with two big bags. Nick forgot about complaining about this boring shopping trip when Justin got him new Crayola pens.

When they arrived at Kinnetik, Ted intercepted him, saying the last meeting was running late.

“And you aren’t in there with him?” Justin asked.

“I only fill-in for him when he can’t make it to some meeting. Besides, that hasn’t happened in a while. Now he has a minion to do the job if he doesn’t want to attend some meeting.”

“Of course, he does,” Justin laughed. “You can go and sit on that couch, over there. Brian isn’t ready to go yet,” he added to Nick.

Nick huffed, but sulked to the couch in the entry hallway. He picked one of the magazines, looking through it.

“He’s a good kid,” Ted commented.

“He has his moments. But compared to what I remember Molly to be at his age, he’s a saint.”

“What about you? After all, he’s your kid.”

Justin shrugged. “He takes a lot after me, and you know what a stubborn dick I used to be. But yeah, he’s usually quiet and well-behaved.” He watched, amused, as Cynthia went over to Nick to offer him an apple. Nick shook his head wildly, glancing at Justin, who waved for him to go ahead and accept the food. Nick refused to take the fruit, and Cynthia left it on the coffee table, before she joined them.

“Hi, Cynthia. Don’t take it personally. He took to heart our lesson about not accepting anything from strangers,” Justin joked.

“Well, that’s good,” Ted agreed.

“Sometimes, people just want to help. He’s old enough now to understand not everyone is out there to hurt him.”

“How old is he?” Cynthia asked, turning to see Nick taking the apple and carefully biting into it.

Justin gasped, realized how the time had flown. “He’ll be six in May. Shit. It’s his birthday in about a month.”

“I’m sure Emmett would love to help,” Ted said softly.

“No, I mean that’s great. I also just realized it will be Brian's birthday, too. They’re, like, a few days apart.”

“Aw, how sweet,” Ted chuckled.

“Speaking of…” Cynthia nodded in the direction behind Justin.

He turned in time to see Brian leading a sharp dressed man out of the meeting room, chatting jovially. He lifted a brow at the trio, but barely had time to say goodbye to the man next to him when Nick barreled at him. The little boy collided with his legs, hugging him tightly.

“Nick,” Justin groaned. “Can’t you see Brian is busy?” He went to get his son, but Brian pulled the boy up in his arms, finishing his conversation with his client.

“It’s alright, Justin,” he said softly. Then he turned to this client, “I’ll give you a call as soon as we have the mock-ups ready.”

“Of course. Thank you, Brian. You just saved me from deep shit.”

“Serves you right for thinking cheap is good,” Brian drawled.

“Yeah, I’ve learned my lesson now.” The man nodded to Brian, then to Justin, before he left.

Once the front door was shut, Brian went to Cynthia, towering over her. “I hate cleaning after other idiots’ messes. Next time he wants to give me a rim job, he better do it correctly. This is the last time I take handouts and supposed faithful clients who believe Gardner can shit rainbows for less dough than me.”

“He didn’t tell me where he had gone for his ad.”

“Next time, I’m the first choice, or no choice at all,” Brian demanded. “Let’s go. I’m starving.”

Justin hurried after him after a hasty goodbye to Ted and Cynthia, attempting to take Nick from his arms. Brian stopped at the back door of his Jeep.

“Stay in front with Daddy,” Nick said seriously, climbing on the bench.

“Okay, Boss,” Brian laughed, closing the door and turning to open the passenger door.

Justin was standing right there watching him with emotion in his eyes. Then he threw his arms around Brian, hugging him tightly. “Before you ask, I don’t know what got over me.”

Brian chuckled, rubbing Justin's back. “Want me to drive?”

Justin only nodded, pulling away. He cleared his throat as he attempted to get rid of the tears in his eyes while he got in the passenger seat.

Brian got behind the wheel, turning to Justin. “I need the key.”

“Right,” he said, distracted, pulling it from his pocket.

“Should we stop at some take-out place?” Brian asked, backing out from the alley.

“I can cook something. Now the kitchen is fully stocked, like I want it.”

“If you’re not too tired.”

“I’d rather feed Nick home-cooked meals,” Justin explained.

“I don’t mind fast food,” Nick quipped.

Justin scowled, because getting fast food was Nick and Ethan’s thing, especially when Justin needed the house quiet so he could paint.

“Brian meant actual food, bought from a restaurant, not terrible fast-food,” he said, groaning.

“I want fast food for my birthday.”

“If you think I’m going to feed you something so atrocious, think again.”

“But it will be for my birthday,” Nick protested. “Pappy used to take me to KFC whenever I wanted.”

Justin threw his arms up, trying not to start screaming at his son. He had to play that card.

“Maybe…for one day, it won’t do any harm,” Brian said quietly. “I don’t like sweets, but I usually indulge in cake on my birthday.”

“I’ll think about it.” Justin folded his arms across his chest. He had to talk to Emmett about Nick’s birthday, because he planned on throwing him a small party. Not needing catering, and buying some fast food menus, it might be cheaper. “I’ll need Emmett's number.”

Brian handed him his phone. “The passcode is Gus’s birthday.”

As Justin typed in the code, he realized Gus was fifteen. And Justin also realized he knew Brian for just as long.

“Can’t find it? I think he’s Honeycutt in my agenda,” Brian said, thinking Justin had difficulty in finding Emmett's number.

“No, I just realized…we know each other for fifteen years.”

“Yeah, just last Christmas, Mikey had to emphasize we’ve been friends for thirty years. It didn’t make me feel ancient or anything.”

Justin gasped, before he started laughing. “I beat you to the longest friendship. I know Daph since we were, like, one year old.”

“It’s mind-boggling our anniversary is the day my son was born.”

“That was the day we met. We’ve established our anniversary to be April sixteenth – the day we wanted to get married.”

“You chose that,” Justin said, amused. “We should have at least five different anniversaries by now. I always considered our day the day we met. It holds even more meaning since it’s the day Gus was born.”

“Okay, I see your point. You mentioned Nick’s birthday is coming soon. When is that?”

Justin grimaced, because for him that date held no other meaning besides the day his son was born. Brian most-likely hated the day. “A few days after your birthday,” Justin answered.

“Now, how wholesome would it have been if he were born on the same day as me?” Brian laughed. “It’s still mind-boggling you and Ben share the same birthday.”

“Right…”

Justin didn’t take into account that Nick was paying close attention to their conversation, or that he liked Brian so much that he felt comfortable to share everything with him.

“It’s May twenty-six,” Nick said loudly.

Brian's eyes shot to the rearview mirror, and only his quick reflexes got the car back on the correct lane when he managed to swerve on the opposite lane. Slowly, Brian met Justin's eyes, and he found them filled with anxiety.

“I didn’t want to tell you,” he mumbled.

Brian cleared his throat, focusing on the road, but all he could think of was the fact that Justin's child was born on the day he had almost lost Justin many years ago.

Justin reached over to touch Brian's elbow. “I didn’t even realize the connection until I mentioned it to Daphne. She thinks it’s cute.”

“What was I saying about wholesome? This is uncanny,” Brian commented.

“I don’t care. Yes, I remember everything now,” Justin said with a smile. “Even the parts I wish I didn’t…like getting ready in Michael’s old room and then Debbie and Mom cooing over me. May twenty-six will always mean one thing only for me – Nick’s birthday.”

“I’m afraid I can’t share your views, but I will try to see the bright side of that day.”

“What happened on my birthday that you don’t like?” Nick asked loudly, leaning between the front seats.

“We’ll tell you another time,” Justin said quietly. “When you’re older.”

Brian shot him a hard look, because he doubted Justin would keep that promise. And Nick was likely to remember this promise since it was so important to him.

#

At home, Nick requested Brian's help to assist him during his shower, while Justin worked on dinner.

When they finally joined Justin, Nick filled the time with talking about his day at school and how impressed his teacher was with his drawing.

By the time the food was ready, Nick had lost some of his exuberance, as weariness installed in his body.

“Since we talked about your birthday, what do you want? And don’t say fast food,” Justin commented when Nick polished his plate.

Nick shrugged, looking forlorn.

“Hey, buddy. We can do anything you want that day. If you miss New York, we can have a day trip to the city,” Justin suggested enthusiastically.

Brian expected Nick’s answer, and sadly there had been no time to warn Justin. It was laughable how Justin couldn’t see what Nick wanted the most.

“And if I miss Pappy?” Nick’s sarcastic voice made Justin choke on his mouthful of risotto. “Surprise me. Good night.”

Justin opened his mouth to stop his son, but he wasn’t sure what to say.

You’re not excused.

Don’t use that tone with me.

We had this conversation before, you can’t have Pappy back.

“Fuck,” Justin spat, pushing his plate away. His stomach was doing weird flips.

“I’m not sure how you didn’t expect this answer.”

“He hasn’t mentioned Ethan in weeks.”

“That doesn’t mean he forgot about him. If you want to take him to New York for his birthday, let me know. I’d like to come with you, if you want that…” Brian wasn’t used to feeling insecure. Only Justin could make him experience all emotions under the sky.

“Let me talk to Emmett about the party. Hell, I have to find out what friends Nick has made and to invite them, too. But I’d really like to go back for a visit. If not on his birthday, then another day.”

“You should go and check on Nick. That’s not normal behavior.”

“I know. He was getting better,” Justin mumbled. “I really don’t want to take him to therapy. I’ve been searching the internet about how I should act, what I should say…I’m failing miserably, apparently.”

“Kids don’t come with an instruction manual, Justin. And there is no right or wrong in such situations. You tend not to think rationally because you’re in pain, too. You think only about your pain, but he’s hurting too.”

“When did you become so wise?” Justin got up and went to stand by Brian’s chair. He reached out a tentative hand to cup Brian's cheek. “And you’re right, of course.”

Brian intertwined their fingers on his cheek, before lowering Justin's hand to kiss the center of his palm. “Go. Just remember, who gets last in bed, gets the sun in his eyes in the morning.”

Justin grimaced. “Here, I was about to comment that you’re such a romantic.”

“I don’t want the sun in my eyes in the morning.”

Justin laughed, and Brian joined him. Then Brian slapped his ass playfully, wordlessly sending him to check on Nick.

Justin found a mess in the guest bedroom, and for a wild moment he thought Nick wanted to pack their clothes. Then he found the reason why clothes were thrown around.

Nick was curled on a side of the bed, holding a toy turtle, crying crocodile tears. Ethan had bought that turtle for him a couple years ago, and it was one of Nick’s most treasured toy.

It broke Justin's heart to see his son so sad, and he had no idea how to help.

“Nick…” he said softly, crawling behind him on the bed. He cuddled his son close, kissing his head. “I’m sorry for what I said.”

“I’m not stupid, I get it,” Nick hiccupped. “I think…

Justin combed his fingers through Nick’s golden locks. “I’ve run out of ways how to explain to you what happened. As much as you claim you understand…you don’t. Maybe…someone else could explain to you.”

“Brian did.” Nick rolled around, big tears falling from his eyes. “Pappy has gone to God.”

Justin thought he was better, too, but hearing Nick saying such things with his innocence made tears spring into his eyes. “That’s true. But I didn’t mean Brian. Someone else…someone paid to help people going through such life events.”

“A stranger?” Nick gasped.

“You’ll make friends first. Only if you want. They will help you understand the situation better.”

“I’m okay for now.”

No, you’re not, Justin thought sadly. “When you decide, let me know.”

“Are you going to sleep with Brian again?”

“Do you want me to? I could stay here with you.”

“I think you should go,” Nick said seriously.

Justin smiled, leaning to kiss Nick’s forehead. “Good night, kiddo.”

“I love you.”

Justin returned the words, heading out the room blinded by tears. He took a deep breath, before continuing down the hallway.

He was overwhelmed by memories of choosing the master bedroom, skipping down this hallway while holding Brian's hand. It felt like several lifetimes had passed since then.