- Text Size +

 

 

The door of the shed opened to reveal an anxious Brian. Justin checked his surroundings and realized he had misplaced his phone. He had no idea what time it was.

“You have any idea how worried I was? And I had to play it cool since I was with Nick.” Brian strode to his side, hugging him tightly.

“What the fuck could have happened to me? Was there a mass alien abduction and I don’t know?” Justin laughed, squirming out of Brian’s arms. “I have to finish this by Friday.”

“Justin, I sent Mikey to get Nick from the daycare at Kinnetik since I was busy with a late lunch meeting, and I told him to get a hold of you to take Nick home. Mikey said he tried your cell several times but there was no answer. So I tried it too, thinking you were simply ignoring his calls for whatever reason.”

“Come on, you know me better than that.”

“And then I had an impromptu dinner with a client, which dragged until six. Once it was polite to escape, I collected your son from Michael and Ben’s house and came home, still trying to get a hold of you.”

Justin grimaced. “I don’t even know what I did with my phone. But see? I’m fine,” he said cheerfully, picking the brush again.

His right hand cramped up, making him drop the brush, and curse loudly.

Brian stared in horror at the way Justin’s hand was contorted. He picked it carefully, massaging his palm. He could feel how tight the tendons were stretched.

“Have you been painting all day?”

“I just told you I have to finish by Friday. Besides this one, I have to give the last touches to another painting, and work on another one which is just a sketch right now.”

Brian pursed his lips. “How the fuck did you overlap commissions?”

“I didn’t. I usually give them about a week until due date. I was sure I could do it.” Justin glared at his hand.

“Three paintings in one week?” Brian asked, shocked.

“It wouldn’t be the first time. And don’t start preaching. The tight schedule for commissions used to be a hot subject with Ethan. He used to say I loved to work myself into an early grave.”

“Can’t say I disagree.” Brian rolled his eyes. He waved to the painting on the easel. “This ends here. You take one commission at a time, and give yourself at least two weeks to finish it, and then you take a break.”

Justin pushed Brian away. “Kindly keep your opinions to yourself. I don’t want to fight with you about my painting schedule.”

“Then listen to me,” Brian insisted. “If it’s about the money, I’m sure you know by now that’s not an issue. Your clients will understand you need more time to complete their desired pieces.”

“Just shut up!” Justin snatched the brush off the floor. He held his right wrist with his left hand, focusing on not messing up the painting, but the brush shook vigorously.

“Do you ever listen?” Brian pried the brush from Justin’s hand, keeping his right wrist in a vice grip. “You’re taking a break. Until tomorrow.”

Justin made to argue, but tears gathered into his eyes.

“Don’t hurt yourself, or you’ll worsen the nerves and tendons, and your hand…”

“It’s already as good as shit.” Justin pushed away from Brian, but froze when he noticed his son in the doorway of the shed.

“Are you breaking up?” Nick cried, his lips quivering.

“What? No,” Justin answered, surprised by the association his son had made with their argument.

“Ollie’s parents argued a lot and they broke up,” Nick explained, shuffling closer and wrapping his arms around Justin's legs.

“Adults fight all the time, Nick,” Brian started. “I mean…it doesn’t always lead to break-ups. Don’t worry.”

Justin laughed nervously. “I’d say get used to it, but that’s terrible.”

“Don’t be a twat. This argument wouldn’t have existed if you cared for your well-being. People understand when others can’t finish a project on time. Even my clients double-check sometimes if the Art Department can finish the boards in the timeframe they want.”

“Yeah…well…you know me.” Justin shrugged, making Brian roll his eyes.

Justin crouched to hug Nick. “Do you want to make cookies?”

“More work with your hands?” Brian groaned.

“I want ice cream and the lion movie,” Nick decided.

“Good choice.” Brian beamed, picking him up. “You’re coming inside the house with us.” He grabbed the hem of Justin's paint-splatted shirt, dragging him out of the shed.

“I’m going to shower,” Justin decided, staring at the paint on his hands and arms. “You can start the movie without me.”

As Justin climbed up the stairs, he could hear Nick instructing Brian how much ice cream to put in his bowl and then to hand him the chocolate tube. Justin sincerely hoped Brian wouldn’t trust Nick with the tube of chocolate, because they would have a sleepless night with a high on sugar child.

While he showered, Justin thought over about his recent argument with Brian about his painting schedule. He hadn’t lied when he mentioned how Ethan had complained all the time about Justin hurting himself while taking too many commissions with close deadlines. His hand used to hurt for days after such a workout.

Brian had always cared for Justin, and he only ever wanted his well-being. Besides, Brian had always felt guilty every time Justin's hand hurt, or Justin got upset because he couldn’t use his hand properly. Justin had run out of ways to explain the bashing hadn’t been his fault.

In that moment, Justin promised himself to be more responsible about his painting schedule and how many commissions he accepted at a time. He would hate to constantly fight with Brian because of his lack of self-preservation.

Justin had always loved to push himself in all aspects of his life, but it was time to set boundaries and draw lines if he didn’t want to upset Brian, and of course, hurt his hand further. He hadn’t told anyone, but over the years it had become more difficult to use it properly. Justin knew he was due for a doctor appointment where he would most-likely be told age had weakened the muscles and tendons even further.

After getting a clean shirt and his sweatpants on, Justin joined his men downstairs.

He stopped in the living room’s doorway, staring in horror at the amount of ice cream and chocolate syrup in his son’s bowl. A considerably more moderate quantity was in Brian's bowl.

Brian turned to him. “Finally. I was sure you’ve drowned in there.”

“I had to scrub off all the paint. I’m using acrylics for this painting.”

Brian waved him closer, and Justin snuggled into his side, rubbing Brian's thigh. “How much do you hate me?”

“Is this about the argument?” Brian frowned.

“It’s about how I’ll have to stay up with Nick when he will be on a sugar high. Do you know how much sugar is in his bowl?” Justin hissed.

“Oh, right.” Brian reached around Justin, and picked the bowl from Nick’s hands. “Remember your promise.”

Nick pouted, but didn’t protest about being parted from the cool sweet.

Brian smiled brightly, handing Justin the bowl. “He said he’d share with you. He promised only a few spoonfuls which he would melt in his mouth so his throat wouldn’t hurt tomorrow.”

Justin accepted the ice cream from Brian, staring at him in wonder. It was a mystery how none of their friends saw what a thoughtful, understand, and caring person Brian was. His bad boy reputation preceded him. Though, Justin had seen through that façade since he was seventeen.

“Thank you,” Justin whispered, kissing the spot below Brian's ear. He knew what that action did to Brian.

Brian wrapped an arm around Justin's shoulders, bringing him closer. “You’re welcome…but what did I do?” he asked, amused.

“You’re an amazing dad.”

Brian cleared his throat, smiling softly.

Justin leaned his head on Brian's shoulder, slowly eating through his ice cream, turning his attention to the movie. Nick had only seen The Lion King a couple of times, because Justin considered it brutal for a small child.

To cement his theory about the movie, after Mufasa’s death, Nick turned to Justin.

Justin braced himself, because he knew what was coming. His son was a smart cookie, and he had pieced everything together. It was probably the moment Nick fully understood what had happened to his pappy.

“Did someone bad, like Scar, kill Pappy?”

Justin choked on his spit, because he hadn’t expected quite that association. He had spoken about the unknown assholes who had murdered Ethan too much around Nick.

Brian rubbed Justin's back, as Justin reached over to pull Nick closer.

“I don’t know how you made that connection, but yes.” Justin could barely recognize his low voice, filled with raw emotions. He tried to stay strong for Nick, but if they kept talking about this, the memories might get the best of him.

He tried distracting himself by focusing on the movie, but the way Mufasa’s body got trampled by the scared herd of bovines hit too close to him.

“Daddy?” Nick said in a small voice.

Justin turned his attention to his son, and was surprised by Nick wrapping his little arms around his neck.

“I love you, Daddy.”

Justin couldn’t remember Nick ever saying those words to him, or Ethan. “Oh, Nick. I love you, too.” He kissed the top of his head, holding him close.

When Nick squirmed, Justin let him go. Nick leaned toward Brian, hugging him around the neck, and repeating the words he had told Justin.

Justin had no idea how the movie had affected his son, but it wasn’t like him to get so emotional and trigger his desire to confess his love for them. He shouldn’t have been surprised to hear Brian telling Nick that he loved him too. Then, Brian brought Justin closer and kissed his mouth, whispering the words against his lips.

Justin sniffed, not allowing his tears to fall, as he hugged both Nick and Brian. “What’s wrong with you two,” he asked, laughing.

“Why don’t you ask your son? He’s the one who initiated this lesbianic moment,” Brian joked.

“I have a question,” Nick said seriously. He was still draped across Justin's body, snuggled into Brian's chest.

Justin made sure to turn off the TV, because none of them were watching the movie anymore. “Yes?”

“I don’t know how to ask. I’m confused.”

Justin pulled his son fully on his lap. “Just tell us. We’ll understand.”

Nick frowned, pouting, before fixating Brian with his eyes. After a long minute, Nick turned to look at his dad.

“Brian is your boyfriend, right?”

“I hate that word,” Brian muttered.

“Brian is my partner, yes,” Justin said softly. “Why do you ask?”

“Well…does that make Brian…like a replacement for Pappy?”

“Good God.” Justin palmed his cheek. Brian groaned loudly from beside him. “Uh, no. I mean…not exactly.” Justin elbowed Brian, hoping for some sort of support.

“I could never replace your pappy,” Brian said after a few moments. Justin appreciated how diplomatic Brian answered all questions regarding Ethan when Nick was involved. It showed how much he loved Nick. “But considering I’m your dad’s partner, I guess you can tell we’re co-parenting.”

Nick blinked several times, confusion evident in his blue eyes.

Justin chuckled, ruffling his son’s hair. “That means we are both bringing you up.”

“And you don’t have to call me anything else,” Brian said, seemingly being a step ahead on Nick.

Justin hadn’t even thought about where the conversation was leading.

“Are you sure?” Nick asked, worried.

“If this is about what you heard someone say at school, forget it. All families are different. I’ve been telling you from the moment I knew you understood what I was saying,” Justin reminded him seriously. “Like Brian said, you don’t have to call him anything else.”

Nick pursed his lips. “Okay, I guess.”

“Look, so it makes sense for you. Gus is Brian's son. He has always called me Justin.”

“You didn’t co-parent him,” Nick pointed out, making Brian throw his head back and laugh loudly.

“Kid’s got a point, but I insist. You don’t have to call me anything else…unless…you want to?” Brian finished his statement in a question.

“Duuuh. But I’m not sure what. That’s why I asked.”

Justin hugged Nick tightly, because he was too much, and it showed how close he had grown to Brian. He was entirely taken with him, and Justin couldn’t blame him.

Brian seemed moved by Nick’s words, and took him in his arms. “If you must, and it won’t get too confusing for you, you can use ‘dad’ or ‘pop’,” he explained.

“Okay.” Nick nodded against Brian's shoulder.

Brian caught Justin's eyes over Nick’s head, and they both had tears threatening to spill. Justin cupped Brian's cheek, catching his lips in a deep kiss.

“Thank you.”

Brian didn’t need an explanation for why Justin was expressing his gratitude. He kissed him back, before pulling away and getting up with Nick in his arms.

“How about you shower then get in bed?” he suggested.

“No shower. I’m tired,” Nick protested.

“Just for tonight, we’ll skip washing before bed,” Justin quipped, standing up, too. “I’ll load the dishwasher and come kiss you goodnight,” he promised.

“Give me the goodnight kiss now. I have to talk with Brian in private.”

Justin laughed loudly, amused at how serious his six-year-old son sounded. He kissed his forehead, patting his back. “Sleep tight.”

“See you in bed,” Brian said cheekily, heading out the room with Nick clinging to him like a koala.

There were times like these when Justin wasn’t sure how his life had thrown him into a different direction in a matter of seconds. As much as he knew that he and Brian were headed to getting married…light years away, like they had joked not that long ago, neither of them was ready for how their relationship affected Nick. It seemed he was ready to put labels on everything.