- Text Size +

 

Gus' eyes fluttered open and he smiled when he realized it wasn't a dream. Justin still lay beside him. Justin smiled back. "Hey, Gus. I'd ask how you are feeling but I'll do that when you've had a chance to really wake up. The doctor was in a bit ago and you are going to be able to go home later today. They didn't find anything that would keep you..."

"Dad, what are you doing here? How did you get here so fast?" Gus interrupted.

"I had to come to Europe for a business meeting. I was planning on surprising you next weekend. I was in Milan when I got the call from Lindsay and took the first flight here."

Gus slowly reached over and gave his dad the best hug he could manage with the binding around his chest and the pain moving caused. Justin moved so Gus could get his arm around him. Gus said softly, "All I wanted was my dads and you appeared. I thought I was dreaming."

"You know one of us would have come as quickly as we could, and your mom was here, along with Grant. What do you think of Grant, by the way?"

"I really like him. He is a great guy for Mom. He keeps her balanced."

"I'm glad she found him. Now, do you want to tell me how you came to be here?" He sat up to stretch and offered Gus some water.  

He took a long drink through the straw before he told Justin about what had been going on. He told him about Rowen sabotaging him by lying to the guys. "One thing he said was that Fi told him I tried to sleep with any girl, whether or not they had a boyfriend."

"Oh, Gus, that couldn't be farther from the truth. You would never do that."

"If I was going to ever try that it would be to get Fi back, but I didn't." His voice trembled a little. "Dad, how much trouble am I in?"

"I should probably go find out if your mom has heard anything. Brian was contacting Mel so I am hoping we have the name of a local solicitor if we need one."

"I wish he hadn't contacted her. I don't want her to think we owe her."

"She owes you far more than the name of a solicitor."

The door opened and a young nurse walked in. "I have been asked to help you get dressed.  Your mom brought in some fresh clothes." She raised the bag in her hand.

"I'll go and find out what the plan is." Justin kissed Gus' forehead and left him with the nurse.

 

Justin found Grant and Lindsay talking to a police officer in the waiting room. Grant was saying, "My stepson would not have started the fight without a good reason. He is not that type of young man."

"Gus has never been that kid," Justin jumped in.

"And you are?" the garda síochána asked.

Justin offered his hand and the garda síochána shook it as Justin answered, "I am Justin Taylor, Gus' father."

"We will need to talk to your son to get his side of the story. We have heard several versions and feel we have the facts sorted. He definitely threw the first punch and the last kick but we also know that it started out one on one and ended up three against one."

"Sir, Gus has admitted that. What kind of trouble could he be in?"

"It isn't me who gets to decide that. Unless one of the families, mainly Rowen's, puts in a complaint, he will get off with a minor warning. But Rowen needed surgery. His clavicle needed to be reset. Your son is lucky that the garda arrived in time to see him being held by the other two or he would be up against some disciplinary actions. So when can I talk to your son?"

"We are going to be taking Gus back to our home today," Lindsay commented. "Could you come to our place tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow morning, 8:00 a.m.!" he stated.

Justin interjected, "Could you make it 10:00? He is going to be moving slow in the morning with those bruises and cracked ribs."

"10:00. He isn't to go anywhere until I get there."

"He isn't going anywhere but to the sofa or his bed," Grant assured him as the garda walked away. "I'll go get the car and be waiting nearby."

"Thank you, darling." Lindsay said, kissing him before he walked away. She looked at Justin, "Isn't he the best?"

"He seems like a great guy, and Gus really likes him."

"Let's go get our son and take him home. Can you stay for a while?"

"I moved all my appointments back a week. Hopefully everything will be worked out by then. I will be in Italy for at least two more weeks. If I'm needed, I can be here in a few hours."

"I am so glad you are here." Lindz hugged Justin before they walked into Gus' room.

 

An hour later, Gus was on the sofa in the family room. Justin was upstairs putting his suitcase in a guest room when his phone rang. He answered, "Hey, Brian, I was trying to wait a little longer so I didn't wake you."

"I haven't slept well since I got the call. Thanks for the texts. Did he get home?"

"We got home about 20 minutes ago. He is resting near Lindsay while I put my bag in one of the guest bedrooms right next to Gus'. Oh, Brian, it looks like Gus isn't going to get into too much trouble but he looked so, well, broken when I got there. He has a bruise on his cheek bone, but he is in pain from the cracked ribs."

"Should I come? I'm sure everyone on the ranch would help with the kids."

"I would love to see you, and so would Gus, but you really couldn't do anything. The garda is coming tomorrow to talk to all of us and then we will know a lot more."

"Fuck, I feel so helpless over here and I miss you so much."

"Ah, Bri, I miss you, too. I love you and tell Jess and Aaron how much I miss them, too. I will text you when the police leave here tomorrow.  Although Rowen's family has some power in town, I could tell he had an open mind to hear what really happened."

"Sunshine, I love you. Call whenever. I don't care if you do wake me up."

"I love you, too. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

 

There was a knock on the door and Lindsay went to answer it. He heard Fiona's voice and then footsteps. "Gus, are you up to a visitor?"

"Sure," he said and tried to sit up a little. He let himself fall back. "I'm not my normal, suave self," he joked as Fiona came around the sofa where he could see her.

"I've seen you throw up your guts when you had the flu on the island. I think I can handle this look."

"I'm going to check on your dad. I want to make sure he has everything he needs. Fi, come find me if you need anything," Lindsay said before leaving them alone.

Fi sat on an ottoman near Gus, but neither said anything until Lindsay was well out of earshot. Then Fi said in a soft voice, "I am so sorry, Gus. I didn't know he would take it this far, and you should have known better than confront him all by yourself."

"Fi, it really wasn't a confrontation until he made it one. I just wanted a truce so I could make some friends and relieve the tension in the school."

"You should have talked to me. I would have told you Rowen would not take it well. I've been trying to get him to back off, but the more I try, the more he starts going on about me wanting to be with you."

Gus slowly reached out and captured her hand in his, "Fiona, why do you stay with someone like that?"

"Because he can..."

"Be really nice and sweet."

"Did Shea tell you that?"

"She mentioned that he wasn't always an ass."

"Especially when they were in the backseat of his car." Gus' mouth dropped open. "Shea doesn't think I know about them but I had a feeling it went on and one night Row admitted it."

"When he was trying to talk you into the back of his car? Fiona, you deserve so much better than someone like him."

Fi's phone sounded and she looked at the message. "Gus, I have to go. I just wanted to check on you."

He held her hand tighter for a minute. "Is that him?"

"Gus, I need to go." She pulled her hand out of his and she stood up. "I told him I was stopping here. He's waiting at my place for me."

"Fi, don't let him threaten you."

"I'll talk to you later." Fi made a dash for the door and was gone before he could even sit up and watch her go.

Gus hated feeling like he couldn't do anything to help her. He scrolled through his phone and dialed Quinn.

"Gus, I hope you are on the mend. I hear Justin is here. I hope to ..."

"Quinn, he would love to see you and Kate but are you at home right now or is Kate there?"

Now Quinn heard the concern in his voice. "I think Katie is there and I am on my way home now. What is it?"

"Fi was just here. She said Rowen was at your house and I think he threatened her. He hates me and he doesn't want her to come near me."

"I'll be there in five minutes. Thanks, Gus." And Quinn was off the line.

"Who were you talking to, sweetheart?" Lindsay said as she and Justin walked into the family room.  

"I was hoping to see Fi," Justin commented.

"Rowen called her and threatened her. She had to leave. I called Quinn because I don't trust him."

Justin moved around the sofa and sat down next to his son. "I don't know who this ass is, but I'm about ready to bring in a solicitor. Do you know this kid's family?" He asked Lindsay.

"I know they have enough money to have some importance," she replied.

"I don't know if I would say important," Grant said as he walked it. "How much do you know about the mob here?"

"Well, since Brian is part of the Cain family, I know enough. How do the Cain's fit into this?" Justin asked as he put an arm around Gus while he leaned against him.

"I don't know the whole story, but the Brennans and the Cains have a history that goes way back. Until World War II they were associates but after the war they ended up on opposite sides.  I heard the Brennans did something during the war that even the Cains couldn't accept, or the other story is, the Brennans got caught doing something they all agreed to and the Cain's left them to take the fall."

"Would Quinn know about this?" Justin asked.

"I would guess he does." Grant continued, "Gus, I can see you are getting tired."

"I guess I am. Dad," he looked at Justin. "Can you help me upstairs? And I really need to know what is happening with Fi and Quinn."

"Let's get you upstairs and then I will check with Quinn." 

As they walked toward the stairs, Lindsay said, "When you talk to Quinn, invite them for dinner tomorrow. Tell them 6:30. I'll understand if they already have plans."

 

Quinn arrived home and found Rowen sitting on the back steps. Before getting out of the car he took a deep breath and then stepped out. He knew Rowen didn't like him because of their family history. For the first time he wondered if Rowen was just using his daughter because of their ancestors. 

"Brennan, what are you doing here?" He could see Rowen's eyes shift from side to side as if he was looking for an escape route if he needed it.

"Um, Fi is on her way. I just got here ahead of her," he mumbled as he stood up.

"I thought she was going to spend time with Gus."

At the use of Gus' name, Rowen reached up to his collar bone. His arm was in a sling from his recent surgery. "Ah, you're home early."

"Why do I make you so nervous, Rowen?" Quinn looked around, "How did you get here? I don't see a car here. Oh! You can't drive right now, can you?" Quinn smiled slightly.

"Looks like Fi isn't coming. I'll call for a ride." He started to struggle to get his phone out of his pocket. As he did, Quinn moved closer. "You and I are going to have a talk, lad, before you go anywhere. I know you called Fi to come home and I know what you did to Gus."

Rowen stood as tall as he could and said, "Of course you would believe anything another Cain said."

"Step off your Brennan high horse and listen. The Cains and Brennans worked together until your clan started to play dirty, just like you did the other night. You couldn't take him on yourself? You aren't man enough?" He took a hold of Rowen's shirt.

"Dad! Stop!" Fi called out as she came out of nowhere and stood nearby.

"Do you really think I would let this thug ruin my reputation?" Quinn abruptly let go of Rowen, almost causing him to fall. Fiona reached out to steady him but as soon as he had his balance, Rowen ripped his good arm out of her grip.

"We need to talk," he said looking at Fi. "I need a ride home."

"Rowen, how did you get here?"

"I was dropped off. I expected you would be home by the time I got here."

Quinn spoke up again. "If I were you, I would show my daughter some respect. She is not going to drive you home and I truly hope I can convince her to send you home for good. She deserves so much better than the likes of you."

"I can drive him home, Quinn." She didn't call him Dad this time.

"No, Fi. He threatened you, didn't he? He insisted you come home?"

"I was about ready to come home anyway. Gus needs his rest. He is still in a lot of pain."

A smirk crossed Rowen's face. When Quinn saw the corners of his mouth go up he tapped Rowen's shoulder. Rowen's smirk changed to a grimace. "Looks like Gus got a few good shots in and he didn't need any chums to help."

"He doesn't have any chums," he said under his breath.

At that point, Fiona had enough. With her stepfather next to her she had nothing to fear. "Row, we are done. I can't be with someone who thinks it is fun to hurt someone. You act so big and tough but you couldn't talk to Gus like a human being. You are so insecure you can't deal with someone with confidence."

"So I suppose you will go running to him now. Bet you will let HIM in your pants, or has he already been in them?"

"That's enough. You have a mobile phone, right?" Rowen nodded. "Good then you can call someone to pick you up and start walking towards town."

"But... I don't know who to call."

"Then I guess you have a long walk ahead of you. Don't come back here and don't think you can work your way back into Fi's good graces. If she feels you have made changes it is solely her decision. You have a long road ahead to get back into her good graces."

Rowen looked at Fi expecting her to say something. They all heard a car coming around the side of the house and as Quinn turned to see Kate's car come into view, Rowen whispered to Fi, "You don't know what you just did. You are going to regret this." And then, as he started to walk away, he pulled out his phone to call for a ride.

"I didn't see Rowen's car. Does he need a ride home?" Kate asked as she walked up to her husband and daughter. She then noticed Quinn's eyes following the boy and Fi on the verge of tears.

"I have obviously missed something." She kissed Quinn but then moved to her daughter and wrapped Fi in her arms. "What is it, Love?. Did you and Rowen have a fight? If Quinn got involved, it must have been quite a row."

"Oh, mama!" Fi turned into her mother's arms and began to sob.

 

Justin called Quinn as he had promised Gus he would do. "Justin, how is Gus?"

"He's napping right now but he asked me to call you. If he hadn't taken a pain pill, he would never have fallen asleep. Did you see Rowen? Is Fi ok?"

"Last I saw of him, he was walking his ass down the drive. He targeted Gus because of the Cains. I couldn't decide if he was using Fi for the same reason."

"How is she?"

"She is hurting, but that daughter of ours is tough. She broke up with him right there and then. Please thank Gus for letting me know."

"Thank him yourself. Lindsay and Grant invited you to dinner tomorrow if you don't have plans. Then we can catch up. Getting this information about Rowen and the Cains, I think I will contact the solicitor that Mel contacted for us. She connected us with him because he is an expert on the local mobs here. He may know about the local undercurrent. We can talk tomorrow night."

"I'll have Kate call Lindsay for the details. It will be so good to see you, mate."

"I've missed you, too, Quinn. See you tomorrow."

 

Once they had hung up, Justin called the solicitor's office. After being put on hold for a few moments, Robby Ryan, esquire came on the line. "Hello, Mr. Kinney, I wondered if I would hear from you."

"Thank you for picking up this late on a Friday."

"I always have time for a Cain. Back in the day my father earned his pay by getting your grandfather and his clan out of jail as much as possible. Now I make my living by running the nonprofit the Cains have set up. This is a nice change for me, doing real criminal law." He jumped back in, adding, "Not that I am glad your son has met up with a Brennan."

"Mr. Ryan..."

"Robbie, please."

"Robbie, this is Justin Taylor, not Brian. I was already in Europe so I was able to get here more quickly than Brian."

"Oh, I love your work. We have a piece up here in the office. I am guessing you didn't call to talk about art. How is your son?"

"Gus will be fine from the beating, but I am worried that Rowen Brennan isn't done. Would you be free tomorrow evening? We are having dinner here at Gus' mothers and Quinn Cain will be here. I know it is a long shot that you are free."

"Sounds good. I haven't had time in the country for a long time. What time should I be there?"

"Will 5:00 work? We will have time to talk before we eat."

"Sounds good. Do you know of a place where I could get a room?"

"Quinn and Kate run a bed and breakfast. I will make sure you have a local place to stay if they don't have a vacancy, but I think they do."

"Thanks, Justin. Send me the address."

"I'll text it. I'll see you tomorrow night."

"I look forward to it."

 

Fiona was glad it was Saturday. She hadn't slept well. All she could think about was what Rowen had said before he left and the look on his face when he threatened her. Had he ever cared about her? Was he after her because of Quinn? 

Shea had called. That usually made her feel good, but this time it didn't help her mood. Rowen had texted Shea last night and ‘cried on her shoulder' about a setup at the bed and breakfast and how Quinn was crazy. "Did that all really happen, Fiona?" she had asked. How could she have even asked that? 

Fi had responded, "Did you go and make him feel better?" and Shea's silence said it all. Rowen was already back with Shea. Shea eventually mumbled something about not having the powerful family she had, to get somewhere in the world. 

Kate asked her daughter to freshen up the room at the end of the hall. Fi did as she was asked and once she had opened the windows for the seabreeze to do most of the work, she decided it made more sense to see if her mom needed help than sit and mope.

As the day went on, she felt a little better. She helped her mom make croissants for dinner that night and the rest of the dough would be left in the refrigerator to make a pastry in the morning. She found out their guest for the night, Robbie Ryan, was the Cain family solicitor. He would be at dinner at Lindsay and Grant's. As she got ready she couldn't stop thinking about what trouble Gus might be in. 

Fi wandered to the kitchen where Kate was taking the rolls out of the oven. She smiled at her daughter and asked, "Are you all right, Love? You have had a rough few days and I know that the rift between Rowen and Gus has been hard on you."

"I am just confused. Did Row only date me because of my connection to the Cains? Was I just fooling myself about my feelings for Gus, or am I feeling this way for Gus because of what Rowen did to us?"

"I am not butting into your life, Fi, but may I make a suggestion? Gus is here for several months.  Give yourself time to gain your balance before you make any serious decisions. I love you, my girl." Kate hugged her daughter tightly. 

Fi wrapped her arms around Kate in return, "I promise, Mama. I love you, too."