- Text Size +

CHAPTER 35: ALL ABOUT US

**Fly away with me, baby/ I've been fallin' for days/ Been lost in the maze/ I hope you can save me/ 'Cause we're goin' higher/ We could both touch the sky/ Let's follow the signs, Love

So let's start it off/ Like we'll never stop/ Baby, just be still,/ Let your body talk to me/ I'll give you everything You need/ We could run away/ Take you to that place/ So let down your hair/ Baby, set your mind at ease/ We'll be living in a dream

'Cause tonight/ The stars Are shining bright Aligned for you and I/ No, it's not about luck, This is all about us/ So why don't we live Like we're alive Gotta open up our eyes/ No, it's not about luck/ This is all about us

Fly away with me, baby/ Let me show you a world/ Where pain don't exist/ If you could begin to Come with me for a minute/ I'll give you the things I know you've been missin'

It's that feeling That you get When you really Love somebody When your worlds start To collide/ In the moment You were blinded By a force, We can't control it And I think That now we know it

So let's start it off Like we'll never stop, Baby, just be still Let your body talk to me I'll give you everything You need/ We could run away Take you to that place So let down your hair, Baby, set your mind at ease Set your mind/ We'll be living in a dream**

JUSTIN

After my brief return to the pole, Brian and I had our interlude within the Backroom. I would say that it was splendid and many other adjectives, but none of them would do the event justice. Sheba actually delayed announcing the winner, because Brian and I were doing what we’ve always done whenever the mood suited us. We fucked, long and hard, fast and slow, lost in each other and forgetting our surroundings. There was no beginning, and last night, we made it clear that there would be no end.

No one witnessing our exchange could be left with a shred of doubt. We fuck! We fight! But most of all, we love each other, and fuck anyone who doesn’t like it! It took us a while to get to this point, many arguments happened and many tears were shed, but here we are.

Anyway, I won the contest but gave the prize to the runner-up, a college student who had never been anywhere or done anything worthwhile, beyond dancing in Babylon. Before we went to the club last night, Brian and I decided to come back to my place. At first, it was just to avoid the memories of what happened with Debbie earlier in the day. But then both of us decided that the likelihood of unwanted visitors and distractions was just too great if we were in the loft. With everything that happened yesterday and life continuing to happen beyond it, we’ve both been feeling like we’re lost in a maze.

But here, in my tiny home and what is fast becoming Brian’s hideaway, we’re at peace.

I feel his arms wrap around me from behind, and lean back into the embrace. It’s like a dream, him being here with me. It seems that after all we said in California, away from everyone and everything, we’re consciously making the decision to move forward together, no matter where life takes us. It’s still surreal to know that after the revelations of yesterday, Brian is still here where he intends to remain. I smile brightly at that.

“I like it here. I like it here a lot,” he whispers in my ear.

“I can tell and I’m glad.” Once again, we fall into a comfortable silence for a time, just content to be here.

“So Sunshine, what do you want to do today?”

“What do you want to do?”

“Uh-huh. I asked you first.”

“What are we? Twelve?”

“Well you’re closer to that age than I am, so it’s more likely you’ll remember how this goes.”

I snicker. “Ever the smartass.”

“Nice of you to finally catch up with the rest of the world in noticing my agile mind, instead of just my body.”

“Oh and what a body it is,” I retort, gripping him by his brunet locks and turn my head, bringing our lips together. His bare morning wood is snug against my spine and I can’t help but undulate against it. I reluctantly break off the kiss, before things get too heated. “So seriously, what do you want to do today?”

He narrows his eyes at me as if seeking some hint about what I’m thinking. “Well what are the choices?” He asks warily.

“Well we could stay here…”

“Excellent plan…”

“There are things we need to seriously talk about, after all.”

“Talking is not exactly what I had in mind…”

I laugh. “Of course not, but we can do that, too. Our time, our rules, remember?”

“I like the sound of that. So what else did you have in mind?”

“Well as we both know, I have to return to California soon to finish up the commissions…”

“Yeah, you can’t blow that off. The fact that it’s for George and Malcolm makes it even more important.”

“Indeed it does, but you’re important to me, too.” I lick my lips and face the landscape again, before continuing. “So… with the potential that we are going to be fathers in a few months and with the trials coming up, I want to know…” I sigh, pausing.

He turns me to face him. “Spit it out, Sunshine.”

“Will you come away with me? Not permanently, especially since Kinnetik is just taking off. But for a weekend… a real weekend, where it’s not about anything but us. What we’re doing now is good, but ultimately we’re hiding out from other people so it’s really about them and our need to mentally recuperate. I want to take a trip that has nothing to do with work, or potential kids, or jealous ex-besties, or…”

“I get it, Justin. But right now, we really do have all those things to worry about.”

“But…”


“So how about this… we set a date, and no matter what is going on, everything stops to give us that time. Even though when you return to the west coast temporarily, I will be visiting, it’s still not going to be enough; just the ticking of the clock, counting down when I’ll have to leave again while you stay. If I learned anything while we were in California, it’s that we need those lazy days where we can just be. Days like when you lived with me at the loft, and we would just shut everything off, ignoring the knocks at the door, only to have to hide in the storage unit because Lindsay and Michael thought that the silence met come on in. Sure the close proximity gave us the opportunity to fuck, but that’s beside the point. We need those kinds of days, without having to worry about who’s going to drop by without calling or stalking the front door to see when we’ll resurface. Part of me wishes we could do what you did here… just pack up and move, not telling anyone where we’ve gone. But alas, we have responsibilities. So let’s be responsible, only let’s include ourselves this time, okay? I think it’s primarily where we went wrong before and led to...”

“Don’t speak his name aloud, Brian. He’s not a spectre here. And let that be the last time we mention the other two here, as well. We can talk about the situation, because ultimately we have to, and this place affords uninterrupted privacy to do that. But let’s not call them by name. I know it sounds weird, but it’s like giving them our peace and power.”

He nods, and I think he understands what I mean. “So we’ll just refer to them as the Unmentionables 1, 2, and 3?”

“Sure, although with your inventive mind I’d have thought you’d be a bit more imaginative.”

“Fine… we’ll refer to Unmentionable number one as Gollum- you know, from Lord of the Rings. His whole obsession with that ring was scarily accurate to his real life counterpart, currently sitting his ass in jail. Then Unmentionable number two will be Maleficent. Again, scarily accurate, but what should we call Unmentionable number three?”

“Dopey, as in one of the seven dwarfs. Trust me, the name suits in all facets.”

“You mean he didn’t know what to do with his dinglehopper?” Brian laughs, because ordinarily, that refers to a fork from the Little Mermaid, but it sounds much better referring to Dopey’s dick.

“I wouldn’t know, but we could ask the faux-Prince from Carnivale. Either his standards were really low, or he has a really tight ass. A pencil from the Etch-a-Sketch toy had more girth.”

“Damn, now that’s an insult to the male anatomy! But back to the matter at hand… so you’re agreeable to setting a date, then?”

“More than agreeable, Mr. Kinney. But I suppose we should wait until we get the court dates first?”

“No.”

“No? Why not?”

“Again, that’s us planning around other people. Let them plan around us for a change. Do you still set up appointments via your laptop?”

“Yeah. Old habits die hard.”

“And a good one to have, along with keeping your calendar which I’ll bet you stopped doing?” He raises his eyebrow at me and I laugh.

“Guilty as charged. So tell you what… I’ll grab us each a coffee, and we’ll sit down and hash out the scheduling now. I’ll even write them down on the calendar this time, oh god of efficiency.”

“That’s right, and don’t you forget it, young one. Now do you have any more of that Sumatra roast? I’m definitely getting a full stock of that and a new machine for the office.”

“Speaking of which, that’s what I want to do today.”

“What?”

“Find office space here in the City. I know that I’ll be traveling, and can work from anywhere. But I have staff and some of them can’t leave here just yet, since we’re all still in school. But it will help to have one centralized place for meetings and such when our clients need a face to face meeting, especially if I’m here in town.”

“What about New York?” Again, a wary expression enters his eyes.

“Brian, I’m not going… well at least not permanently. There are times when I’ll need to make an extended trip there for my business, but Pittsburgh is my home. You're my home, and that’s always where I’ll be anxious to return to, Brian. Home.”

Instead of saying anything, he crosses the expanse of the room and pulls me close. If there was ever a doubt that Brian loved me before, there isn’t one now. It’s clear in his eyes, and in the way he’s stroking my back as if he can’t get enough of touching me. The tender moment is shattered by the ringing of my cell, but it’s still there lingering between us.

“Hello.”

“Ah, Justin. I’m glad I caught you. I’m not interrupting anything, am I?” Bradley Miles’ voice comes over the line.

“Actually, Professor Miles…”

“Now, now Justin. Remember, I told you to call me Bradley or Brad? No need to settle on such formalities between us.”

“Be that as it may, I prefer the formality. So as I was saying, Professor Miles, I am actually taking the weekend to regroup after the last few hectic days. I’m still a bit jetlagged.”

“Aw, that’s too bad. I was hoping that we could meet for lunch to discuss Tory’s internship.”

“Why? Is there a problem?”

“Not a problem, exactly. It’s just that her hours are going to have to be adjusted, if she’s going to continue working for you. I’m concerned about her grades.”

“Shouldn’t you be discussing this matter with her?”

“I plan to, but I wanted to clear up the matter with you first, so that we are on the same page when I speak with her bright and early on Monday morning.”

Brian scowled into my eyes. I know that just as I don’t trust the good old Professor, neither does he. But I can’t risk Tory’s future because of that mistrust. “Fine. I can meet you in about two hours.”

“Two? Why two hours?”

“That is none of your concern. Now, you have my answer, Professor Miles. All you have to do is say yay or nay, so I can pencil you in accordingly.”

There was a moment of silence on the line, followed by a deep sigh. “Fine, Justin. I’ll have to move some things around, but this is of the most extreme importance.”

“I certainly can understand that. So I’ll see you at Kinnetik in two hours.”

“Why Kinnetik? I thought we could talk over lunch, Justin,” he tries again, much to my annoyance.

“Because that’s where his office is,” Brian cuts in.

“Justin? Why did you sound so different, just then? Is someone else listening in on our conversation?”

“You know, Justin, for a professor he’s not too bright. If I were the parents of his students, I would be especially concerned, since my money is paying him,” Brian wisecracks, in that sardonic tone he has which lets a person know exactly what kind of idiot he thinks they are.

“Behave, Brian. Anyway, to answer your question, Professor Miles, Brian has kindly offered the use of his office for our meeting since we will be near there. You can bring lunch for yourself if you’d like, but I don’t anticipate the meeting should take all that long.”

“Oh, um…”

“He’s just so articulate,” Brian teases, and I can’t help but laugh. He really is incorrigible.

“That’s fine. But since this is JTDesigns business, I trust that Brian will find himself otherwise engaged.”

“Where Brian will be really isn’t a concern of yours, Professor Miles. So I’ll end this call by reminding you again, that the meeting will be at Kinnetik at two sharp. Don’t be late.” I hang up the phone, before he can get another word in edgewise.

“Okay, so why Kinnetik?”

“A couple of reasons actually. The first is that Professor Miles’ impromptu meeting is the exact reason why I need an office. Secondly…”

“Let’s talk merger perhaps?”

“It’s not a bad idea, since we each have a stake in each other’s companies. But you keep full control of Kinnetik, while I do the same with JTDesigns. But, and here’s where I’m going with this idea, we collaborate as needed, just as we’re doing with the Schickle account. But instead of you paying my fee, we split the profit from those accounts 50/50, since you’ll no longer be outsourcing.”

“I can see you’ve given this a lot of thought.”

“Since I first dreamed up the company, while I yet couldn’t draw a fucking thing. Most days, it was the only thing- beyond you being there- that kept me going. Other days, it was my curse to have such a dream in my head, and no way to fulfill it… at least not until you bought me the computer. Thank you for that, Brian.”

As per usual, he brushes off my gratitude, deftly switching the conversation back to business. “So this office space thing... I have an idea.”

“Oh? Does it have anything to do with the fact that you bought the entire building?” He looks at me surprised, and I laugh. “Don’t worry. Mom didn’t betray your confidence. I just know how paranoid you are about sharing your space with strangers… Well, except for tricks, but that’s for a specific purpose and then they are gone.”

“Twat.” He snickers, knowing that I’m right. “So how about you take the other side of the building? That way you have immediate space available. And since it’s already fully furnished…”

“Ah, I see I’m not the only one who’s been thinking of a merger of sorts.”

“It kinda just makes the most sense, since we are already throwing business each other’s way to have you- or should I say your business- close by.”

“Hm-mm.” I say succinctly, letting him know that the shrug he put at the end of the statement gave him away. “So when do I get to see my new offices?”

“We can go right after we finish the scheduling. I’m fairly certain that once there, it will be the last thing you’ll be thinking about. Although it’s furnished, it’s not quite yours yet. I’m sure you’ll be dying to put your stamp on it, sooner rather than later. Also, should I have Ted and Cyn meet us there?”

I thought about that. Considering the fact that Bradley will be arriving there this afternoon, it’s always good to have backup. This is why we never mix business with pleasure. Not for the first time, I wish that Brian and I never tricked with him. But whatever; business is business. Tory is worth having to put up with the incessant pain in the ass for a little while longer.

“That’s a great idea. Also have Melanie come, too. She’s the one who drew up the internship contracts for me. Having her there will also make it easier for us to hammer out the details of merging the businesses,” I answer him.

“So we’re really doing this, huh?”

“Yes, we are. Any regrets?”

He thought a long moment before he said, “Not one.”

I went ahead and fixed the forgotten coffee, while he continued to set up the workstation the way I liked it and he needed it: computers on the outside of the long desk with the huge calendar between us, and two blue and green markers. It’s funny, but that’s how we always kept the calendar at the loft, so that I would somehow always know where to find him. I can’t think of how or why we stopped. But I’m so glad that we are doing this again. It became sort of a safety net for me, especially when trying to put my life back in order after the bashing.

After an hour of putting everything in order, and enduring countless lectures from Brian on the importance of writing my schedule down in three places, we were finally ready to leave my little hideaway for awhile. Even though my shower is small, Brian loves it. It’s all glass and gives the illusion that you’re taking a shower outside. I had to pull him out of there so that I could use it. If ever there was a man who would’ve loved the no clothes rule in the Garden of Eden, it would have been Brian!

On the drive into the City, we talk about the accounts and meetings coming up. I really can’t wait for November to get here! Since Thanksgiving falls on the 23rd this year, we decided to go away beginning that Monday through December 1st. We figured that everything will probably move more sedately for both companies, leading up to and following the first major holiday of the Yuletide season. Also, it will get us out of Debbie and Joan’s orbit for two solid weeks.

Walking into the old bathhouse, I was amazed at what Brian had done to the place. If one didn’t know the history of the Liberty Baths, no one would suspect that this was the first place Brian and I had fucked in public. And yet, Brian maintained all of the character of the original building, leaving the shower area intact, but cum-stain free. Brian’s office at the back of the building was the former orgy room, where he had his own private suite, equipped with a futon and fully stocked closet hidden behind the frosted glass wall. The entire office was done in glass, chrome and cream colored furniture, showing off the clean lines and architectural details of the ginormous space.

It was classic Brian Kinney, but the other side of the building was all me. Brian had left the side of the building that housed all the private rooms. One by one, I examined all of them. Gone were the tables that had seen many dicks, asses, sweaty backs and rubbed-raw knees. And in their places were comfortable sofas, and top-of-the-line drafting tables.

The wall to the front of the room had a huge floor-to-ceiling dry erase board, while the walls on either side were bare. But to the back of the room, behind the massive desks and easels set in the corner near the supply closets, was a large picture window, bringing in lots of natural light. 

“Come on, Sunshine. You haven’t seen your office yet,” Brian whispered to me, while I stood mesmerized in the office slated for my assistant.

“How did you…”

“I know you, Justin. You’ve always said that an artist would always prefer to work by natural light, given the choice. I just listened, that’s all.”

He led me to the end of the hall, and when he opened the door, I was once again stunned. The first thing I notice when I walk in is the enormous electric fireplace donning the wall. Above it is one of the paintings I sold just a few weeks ago. Admittedly, I was sad to see it go, but it represented a very painful time for Brian and me. Instead of painting the way I was feeling, I had painted the way I wanted to feel.

It was an abstract of all manner of blues and greens, undulating sensuously across the canvas where you couldn’t tell where one brushstroke ended and another began- kind of how Brian and I were becoming at one time. God, it seems like a lifetime ago since I finished it, although it has never felt finished. It felt as if it was a door left cracked open, while thinking that it is fully closed. Looking at it now, and knowing what was happening with Brian and I when I painted it, I can honestly say that I did in fact, paint what I felt in that moment. It feels like there was a crack in our collective armor.

Taking in the other details of what is now my office, I can’t help but notice how different it is from the one down the hall which belongs to Brian. Sure, I have a suite behind frosted glass, and a glass and chrome desk the same has Brian does. But that’s where the similarities end. Whereas Brian’s furniture resembles that within the loft, mine is plush and sense-stimulating. It’s the kind where you would want to stay awhile or fall asleep; it’s homey and cozy, just as I like it.

“So what do you think?”

Instead of answering him with words, I cross over to my door and lock it. Turning slowly, I walk back towards him, removing one item of my clothes at a time until I’m standing in front of him. “I think it’s time to christen my office.”

Brian doesn’t hesitate. He removes his own clothes in record speed, before grabbing me into an almost brutal kiss. He moves me to stand in front of the fireplace, where sofas are on either side of it. It’s then that I notice the lush area throw rug in the seating area. It reminds me of my dream living room.

Flicking a switch that I hadn’t seen, Brian starts the fireplace to going and instantly I feel its warmth radiating towards me. “You’ve thought of everything, haven’t you?”

He laughs and flicks the side armrest, nearest the fireplace. As I peek in there, it’s my turn to laugh, because it is full of condoms and our favorite lube. “Let’s just say I’m very resourceful when the need arises. And speaking of needs…”

I shiver as our bodies come into direct contact. Because we were so busy this morning, we didn’t have time to indulge in our usual routine. And suddenly, I’m glad that we didn’t. Brian lays me down on the carpet, covering my body with his own. Between the softness beneath me and the hardness of him, I feel like I’m in the safest place in the world.

Our lips reconnect, this time softly and full of passion. He steals my breath while filling me with his own, making me dizzy with want and creating the need to be satisfied within me. My hands drift the length of his strong back and shoulders until they come to rest on his ass. I allow my fingers to knead and explore at will, while Brian’s tongue does the same to me. It’s languid and lethargic, as if we have all the time in the world.

Unfortunately, Brian moves his ass out of my reach, as he settles more firmly between my spread thighs. He attacks my nipples with gusto! The swirling flicks of his tongue pull the moans out of me as he relentlessly services them. When he sucks, gently at first and then harder, the action causes the nerve endings on my cock to take notice. Each stab and lav of his tongue sets off an impact of zinging pleasure coursing through every erogenous zone on my body; the tingling sensation causing the immediate tightening within my groin.

The impatience is beginning to clamor within me as he continues to take his time. "Brian, please… just…”

“You’re ready, then?”

“More than… aren't you?”

“I’ve been ready for hours.”

He doesn’t waste any more words, or time as he begins to prepare me in earnest. Gone was the moments of lethargic lovemaking, and in its place was a pulse-pounding intensity. I nearly cum when I feel Brian’s mouth on my dick, at the same time he’s demanding entrance into my ass for his marauding digits. As his fingers find and seek my prostate, his throat closes and squeezes the head of my aching cock. All I can think is that if I died right now, I’d gladly give up the ghost while feeling this.

His tongue swirls around me, laving every surface of my cock even as his fingers continue their assault. He speeds up both his mouth and hand, reaching up to tug on one of my sensitive nipples in the process. I’m nearly delirious with the pleasure he’s creating, and before I can beg him to fuck me, he’s already preparing to do so. I keenly feel the withdrawal of his fingers as they graze alongside my internal walls. My ass is aching to be filled while my dick is screaming for release.

And right now, I can’t think about anything but getting off! To that end, I wrap my legs tighter around Brian and reach between us to take hold of his cock. He’s feels so fucking hard and hot in my hand. I guide him to where I want him, then impale myself fully onto his dick. There’s pain, but it quickly subsides to walk that fine line between it and instant gratification.

I grunt with the answering jerk of his hips, as he fully seats himself within me. Then, moving my arms into locking position around his neck, I proceed to lift my body from the floor, getting as close to his torso as I possibly can. I rock my hips into his, my legs and arms holding him in place as I fuck myself hard on his long, thick dick. He’s moaning and gasping his pleasure into my ear, and it causes me to speed up a bit. I rotate my hips in a small circle, making sure that the head of his cock jabs into my prostate on every pass.

As the tell-tale tremble wracks me, Brian lays me flat on my back and proceeds to fuck me to within a centimeter of coherent thought! As we come down off of our euphoric high, Brian lays his head in the crook of my neck. He’s not pulled out, and it’s times like this I wish we were barebacking. But I also acknowledge that we aren’t ready for that, and may never be. It’s just enough that he’s here with me.

“I don’t want to move,” he says.

“Then don’t.”

He chuckles. “But we have to. You have a meeting in about thirty minutes; Cynthia, Ted and Mel should’ve arrived by now. Come on, Sunshine. Let’s go have a quick shower and take care of this, so that we can do more of that. I’m inclined to put that down as one of our top ten. You were so fucking hot.” He kisses the spot between my neck and shoulders.

“Keep kissing me there and we’re never leaving this spot.”

He laughs and proceeds to pull out. I feel the loss instantly, and judging by the way he’s looking at me, he does, too. We proceed to the corner of my office in silence, each lost in our own thoughts. We take our shower the same way, but never losing contact. I melt, as I usually do, when he washes my hair and I’m hard-pressed not to moan, knowing that if I do, we’ll start fucking again.

I put the thought out of my mind and proceed to wash him. I can feel his restraint even as he bites his lip to keep his own arousal at bay. We finish our ablutions and hurriedly don our clothing, knowing the temptation of each other naked for long is simply too great. Brian unlocks the office door and goes out in search of the others, while I go about freshening up the space. It’s one thing for them to think we have been fucking; another thing for the room to smell like sex and sweat.

Usually neither of us mind. But with Bradley Miles coming in shortly, it’s just better not to project the image that he stands a chance of ever joining us again. Contrary to Brian’s belief sometimes, I’m not as naive as I look. I know exactly with Bradley wants. From Brian, it’s another stellar fuck, but from me, it’s a relationship.

Somehow he’s taken it into his mind that I need one in order to feel fulfilled. And that’s true. But it’s only with Brian that I want and need that. Even Ethan never really got that about me. He just assumed that because we were fucking, and living together that he was my ‘forever,’ when if he’d bothered to look deeply he would’ve seen that he was simply my ‘for now.’

It’s not even that I had planned to be back with Brian from the onset; I just needed slow and easy. When we went back to his place after the Rage party, I actually had no intention of moving in. I needed time to figure out what my next move was going to be. Contrary to popular opinion, I fell into a circumstantial relationship with Ethan. I guess the same could be said about Brian, but it was so much more than that for me since the beginning.

I always knew I belonged with him. But he didn’t want me- or more accurately- didn’t seem to want me. So I had to figure out how to live my life without him. Being with Ethan gave me that opportunity, but I never expected the shit he did along with Michael and Lindsay. So in that respect, maybe I was a little too naive and trusting.

Not so, with Professor Bradley Miles!

“Hey Justin,” everyone greets me, as they file into the office.

“Hey guys, thanks for coming. Can I get you all a coffee or something? I assume I have a machine in here somewhere, Brian?”

He smirks at me, then points next to the frosted glass partition in front of the bathroom suite in the corner. “Right now, it just has your basic variety of flavored coffee in there. But I’ll stock the Sumatra roast later this afternoon. In fact, I’ll order a shipment now to be delivered here, at your place, and the loft. That way we’re never without it.”     

“Nice to know that I’m not the only one Justin’s been a bad influence on. I must have spent two hundred dollars, ordering that blend! And that doesn’t even include the new coffee maker,” Mel tells us.

“What did you do with the old one?” Ted asks. “It was only a few months old, if I recall.”

“Yeah, sent that to Lindsay, since she’s the one who picked it out. Her coffee always tasted like mud. She should feel right at home using it… I mean, dirt drinking dirt and all.”

“Behave, Mel, or I’ll have to ground you,” Brian warns, making us all laugh.

“Anyway, I’ll grab some coffees. Any requests?” I asks, and after getting all of their orders, I head over to the machine.

Brian really did think of everything, because the fridge beneath the coffee maker even has my favorite creamers in it. Not only that, but it has my favorite pineapple juice, which Brian tells me all the time I should invest in since I drink it so much. He remembered the Almond milk for my cereal, or even if I just want a different taste to my coffee on any given day. And there are a host of other must-haves in the fridge; further proof that Brian has been thinking about this merger for longer than he's let on. I shake my head at the revelation, deciding that he is definitely due for a big reward.

“Hey Twat, think about mooning me later and come on. Our unwanted guest will be here shortly,” Brian calls out. I poke my tongue out at him, before grabbing it all up and heading back to the seating area. Brian meets me halfway, and leans down to whisper, “Do that again and I’ll drag you into the bathroom, and the guests be damned.”

I lick my lips in response. “Promise?”

“Don’t tempt me, Sunshine. You’re the relatively shy one, remember?”

“I might be changing… you know, because of my youth and all.” We share a laugh, even as I set down the coffee and hand it out.

Once seated, we get down to the reason I wanted them there. “As I’m sure Brian has told you, Professor Bradley Miles will be here in a bit. Since you were all instrumental in helping me to implement the intern exchange program for JTD, I thought you all should be included to look out for my best interests, and that of Tory Lockhart, who is interning with me. She’s also been instrumental in landing my biggest account, and soon to be Kinnetik’s, to date. Eyeconics, run by Kellie McQuaid, will be here on Monday to meet with you, and I’ve already acquired Balmain as you well know.

"That said, Brian and I have decided to merge, in a sense. We’ll still each maintain our autonomy as separate business entities, but, on paper we will be Kinnetik JTD. This way, when I’m unavailable, Brian has full rights and privileges as a co-owner and vice versa. Of course, there will be a discussion between us prior to that point. In any event, any special accounts requiring my area of expertise, will take top priority with JTD.”

“Justin, I’ve been thinking about that. What if the entire art department falls under the JTD umbrella? It’s always been my plan that you run it anyway. That makes this merger fortuitous, in that it allows it to happen without having to replace anyone,” Brian says.

“Who’s the A.D. now?”

“We just signed on Brent Murphy.”

“As in Murph?” Brian nods at me.

“He, like you, has been freelancing with us, since Gardner couldn’t afford to keep him after having to pay me.”

I smile. “I can work with Murph. I was afraid you had hired the Wonder Twits, Bob and Brad.” I laugh in the face of Brian’s affronted scowl. “Anyway, he can keep his position as Art Director under the JTD brand. He and I work well together. The only stipulation is that he answers to my personal assistant.”

“Who is?”

“Tory. That is if she’s willing to test out early, and come aboard full time. She’s like having me and Cynthia combined in one body. Since she understands my business from both the art perspective and keeping my schedule for me, so that I have time take meetings and to work on everything while meeting the deadlines, it would be a win for the company as a whole. She already did wonders keeping me organized for Carnivale, while I was still acquiring Federated Department Stores and working in California. Plus, she understands me in a way that only you and Daphne do. That said, we also need to talk staffing.”

“First, let’s get Tory in, if she’s available. Miles can meet with her while she’s here, and she can save herself from enduring his long lecture in the process. Why did we fuck that guy again?” Brian asks, in subtle mix between annoyance and humor.

“Boredom," I snicker.

"Next time, we'll just read the dictionary. It has to be way more memorable."

I shake my head at Brian. "Anyway, Cynthia if you don’t mind, can you handle that call for me please? Do you still have her number from when we were working on the preliminaries for Carnivale?”

“Yes, and it will be my pleasure to call her. I think this is a really good idea you two have come up with. Are we also going to be handling HR for JTD?”

“I would really like it if we handled that portion together, since anyone we hire will have to build relationships between both companies. To start, I think I’ll need about ten full-time employees for JTD and two clerical staff, at least one of which is familiar with how to correctly keep on top of the inventory. The one previously at Vanguard was beyond incompetent, and taught me a valuable lesson in what kind of person not to hire. In the meantime, I think I’d better smooth Tory’s way to graduate early without having to rely on the Class Advisor.”

“Who I’m guessing is none other than Bradley Miles?” Ted asks.

“The one and only. He’ll do what he can to influence her decision, because having her there keeps him somewhat relevant in my life, for her sake. Without Tory, he wouldn’t have the chance to keep hitting on me… hell, there wouldn’t be a need for him to speak to me at all.”

“Why hasn’t she just asked for a new dean, or why haven’t you requested a new advisor to work with for the internship program?”

“At first, neither of us wanted to make waves. JTD is relatively new, and so we didn’t want word to get out that we were difficult to work with. Even though I’m fairly well known and have connections because of my work on Rage, I didn’t want to put her opportunities at risk because of my overactive libido.”

“Careful Sunshine, or you’ll have me hot and bothered again. Then business discussions be damned,” Brian tells me, much to the amusement of Ted and Mel.

“God, you never get enough, do you Kinney?” Mel asks, laughing.

“As I’ve mentioned before, there’s no such thing, especially when it comes to Sunshine here. But don’t be fooled by Mister Innocence… he’s just as hot, horny, and even more demanding than I am.”

“Brian!” I yell, feeling the heat in my cheeks. Both of them!!!

“WOW! Talk about over-sharing and catching the tail-end of a conversation,” Tory says, as she walks into the office. “Justin, we’ve had this conversation before. When I’m in the room, you think of dead rabbits, chocolate covered roaches, or your grandmother naked. You do not, I repeat DO NOT carry a boner in your shortpants! It’s not healthy for my sanity.”

“Your sanity?” Brian smirks at her.

“Indeed! I may be a lesbian, but I like a little poke and tickle as long as there isn’t a man attached to the appendage. Catch my drift?”

“More than I ever wanted to! Justin, save me! There’s another outspoken and inappropriate lesbian in the room, with a filthy mouth. It’s like having the second coming of Mel in her twenties. I may never get hard again.”

I laugh. “I’ll just have to perform CPR on your deadhead later, Brian. First, we need to deal with the business.” Turning to Tory, I ask, “You have a meeting with Professor Miles on Monday?”

“Yeah… I was just informed of it, oh about an hour ago.”

“Really? Well imagine that, Sunshine…”

“What’s Brian talking about, Justin?” she asks, genuinely puzzled.

I sigh. “Only that I got a call this morning, requesting a meeting about your grades and the amount of interning you’re doing,” I answer her, and immediately see the explosion about to happen in 5...4...3...2…

“What the fuck?! My grades aren’t slipping! In fact, I’ve already been signed out of one class when I asked to test out early, so that I could increase my internship hours to what they are now. What fucking fuckery is he up to?!”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Brian drawls.

“Yeah, it is! Justin, I told you to be careful around him. He’s made it clear on more than one occasion what he wants. And I think he’s trying to use me to get it!”

“He is, but we may have a solution. How would you like to work for me- for us- full time? Brian and I are combining our companies, and we really need to surround ourselves with people who know how we work and that we trust. Since you’re already acting as my personal assistant, I wanted to offer you the position on a permanent basis. I know that this is a little different than what you had planned for yourself post-grad, but…”

“Yes, I want to do it,” she says, anxiously. “The only problem is that I won’t be able to take on everything required, until after graduation.”

“Before you came in, I was just about to call George Schickle and ask who I should talk to within the chain of command, but above Professor Miles’ head.”

“Well, it’s good that I’m here then, since I know exactly who you should speak to. Professor Bruckner is filling in for Professor Appleby beginning on Monday. She dropped her litter of three the same night as Carnivale.”

“Wait, three?” Melanie and Cynthia asks, as Ted just gasps in horror.

“Ben Bruckner?” Brian and I ask, at the same time.

She laughs. “Yes, to both questions. Apparently one of the babies was hiding behind the other two. And although a little small, he’s going to be fine. She had already arranged for Professor Bruckner to take over her duties, beginning when she went on maternity leave, which was supposed to start in two weeks. Jacob, Jeremy, and Joseph had other plans. He’s already been called and informed so…

Before either of us could say anything else, the front buzzer rang announcing the arrival of the boor I’d rather not be bothered with.

Cynthia rose from her seat, shark smile firmly in place. I saw Tory’s answering smile, as she did the same. “I think Cynthia and I should get the door. Perhaps you would like to make that call while we’re gone,” Tory suggests.

“Mel, would you be so kind as to come with us? If the idiot thinks he can try and intimidate Tory, I think your presence will show him exactly how much power he doesn’t have. We protect our own,” Cynthia said softly, as the buzzer rang out again.

“Justin, make the call; we’ll handle Professor Pest,” Mel adopted the same smile Tory and Cyn had on their faces.

“Fuck! Did you guys just shiver, too?” Ted asks, in awe.

“I would feel sorry for him, but my feelings just aren’t set up that… Wait! Justin is that the guy we gagged?” Brian asks me, and I roll my eyes.

“You’re just remembering that detail now?”

“Hell, I’m just really remembering him now. He was an irritating fuck, both literally and figuratively.”

“Oh the price you both paid for boredom,” Ted drawls, sardonically.

“Stick a dick in it, Theodore,” Brian growls, adopting Mel’s favorite line. When did that happen?

“Isn’t that what got you two in this mess, in the first place?” he retorts, and I can’t help it… I laugh! I really like this side of Ted.

“He has a point, Bri. But let’s call Ben to see what we have to do to release Tory from the desperate clutches of Need-A-Ball-Gag-Quick Trick, so he can go back to being obscure.”

Ted dials the number, and puts him on speaker. Although the call was short, it was both informative and productive. Ben said that he can recommend her for early graduation, but he has to submit it to the board for review. After reviewing her records, we discovered that Tory has been maintaining a 4.0 in both majors since she started, even though she entered the college under a probationary period after a meeting with the disciplinary board. I’ll have to ask her about that, since she’ll be an integral part of the business going forward, and quite honestly for my own curiosity.

But still it has nothing to do with her graduating magna cum laude, in both of her chosen fields. The bottom line is that she would’ve been wasted as a gallery manager, or even as a talent agent, which was her ultimate goal. She’s also taken so many classes and electives that she was able to submit her request for graduation at the end of the last school term. I wonder why she didn’t? Just as we disconnected the call, we could hear the raised voices at the end of the hall.

I narrowed my eyes at Brian, whose anger was already spiraling out of control. “Let me handle this.” He gives a slight nod in the affirmative, but the tense set of his shoulders told a different story.

This is going to be one helluva meeting!

BRIAN

“Let me handle this.” He says, and I nod in agreement, acknowledging that at least initially, he has to. She was his responsibility before we decided to join companies, and now she’ll be his personal assistant if all goes according to plan. Cynthia and I have found ourselves in similar situations, and covering each other’s backs countless times over the years, beginning with working from the ground floor up in Ryder. I can’t expect Justin to feel any less protective of Tory.

But God, isn't it tempting to go up there and rip the fucker’s throat out! He keeps hurling threats about her education at her, but I have to say I’m proud of the way she is handling herself. The louder he gets, the quieter her voice gets. I wonder if there are just breeds of P.A.s who are born with that gift, since Cynthia does that to me quite often. Justin stomps over to the door, and it’s clear that Little Sunshine is in a very stormy mood.

I turn to look at Ted, who actually looks a bit shellshocked at Justin’s expression. “Brian, is he…”

“Yeah, Ted, He is. See, what you all don’t realize about Justin is that his temperament is just as volatile as mine, even moreso since that event. It’s always fascinated me, regardless of whether I admitted it or not. Justin was never just the piece of blond boy ass that Michael thought. He’s always been able to match wits with me, and isn’t afraid to call me on my shit. If you’ve ever wondered why Justin and not Michael, there’s part of your answer. The other portion… well, you’re about to receive a crash course. I will say that I fully understand the advantages of being born WASP; you’re about to.”

Justin comes back in, his shoulders seeming relaxed and his posture straight. Behind him are Tory, who is fuming; Cynthia and Mel, who are smirking, and the thoroughly fucked off Bradley Miles. As Justin approaches the desk, I clear my throat.

“Perhaps this would be better done in your conference room.” I cross the room and remove the back frosted glass paneling to reveal the area. Although it’s done all in white and has floor to ceiling windows at the back, the colorful assortment of high-backed, plush chairs lends creativity to the think tank we’ve created for him. Again, it’s proof positive that when he’s spoken, I’ve listened.

He strokes my cheek, as he leads everyone in. “Remind me to add this to your reward later,” he whispers.

“Count on it.”

As everyone takes their seats, I notice that Bradley has commandeered the chair that would be thought of as on Justin’s right. Apparently, Justin has noticed that as well. Then he decides to reverse his direction, while seeming to have given it no thought. With a backwards glance and a small smirk at me, I follow him down the long table, taking my rightful position by his right hand. All within the room smile, except for Bradley, who blushes furiously that his attempt at high-handedness, and innuendo has been thwarted.

“Tory, since ultimately this meeting is about you, please take the seat on my left so we can begin,” Justin says, and I have to marvel at his steady control and superficial nonchalance. It’s a skill I have never quite mastered when I’ve reached the level of pissed that Justin has. “Ms. Marcus, would you mind reviewing the contract terms with us, so that we are all on the same page?”

“Certainly, Mr. Taylor. According to the terms and agreement between JTDesigns and Carnegie Mellon University’s Intern Exchange Program for graduating students, the terms and conditions are as follows: The student is to meet with the Advisor twice weekly, one of which includes a seminar on current business practices, while maintaining an above average GPA of 3.7 in order to continue being eligible for the program. The hours worked in this capacity can be up to 30 hours weekly, and may not in any form conflict with any time the student must be on campus to meet their graduation requirement. The faculty, at no time, can interfere with the hours they are scheduled to work at their chosen internship. Should there be a conflict of interests in scheduling, the student is to be given advance notice so that he/she may work out an adequate alternative that no party should suffer.

"Violation of this contract may result in the severance of the relationship between JTDesigns and Carnegie Mellon University without prior knowledge and/or notice. The student will be made aware of all circumstances surrounding the termination, and subsequently given a new internship assignment in the event that all required hours have not been fulfilled at the time of violation.”

“Well, Professor Miles, it sounds like the standard contract for the internship program is cut and dry, and is pro-student,” Justin says, folding his hands. “But I would like to hear when you believed that Tory, or JT Designs violated this agreement, which according to you is the cause for this meeting.”

I watch as Bradley swallows hard, before clearing his throat. Affecting a pompous air, he says, “Firstly, I was under the impression that we were going to meet privately to discuss the situation...”

“I’ll just bet you were,” I mumble.

He keeps going, as if he didn’t hear me. “Secondly, I don’t see the need for all of these people, especially an attorney, to be involved. We are both looking out for Tory’s best interests.”

“Be that as it may, these people as you refer to them, have been with me since this company was started and continue to remain instrumental in the day-to-day decisions, including this impromptu meeting.”

“Then what the hell is Brian doing here?!”

Justin took a deep breath, eyes flashing anger. “I would suggest you watch your tone, Professor Miles. We may have an abbreviated- extremely abbreviated- past, but I believe in maintaining professionalism and manners in such a setting as this. But to answer your question, Brian has always been involved in some capacity. If not personally, than with the continued use of his staff…”

“Our staff,” I interject.

He smiles at me then. “I stand corrected, Mr. Kinney. Our staff. So you see, Professor Miles, Tory’s internship has been a team effort from the very beginning. And as such, we are meeting with you to discuss your concerns. Now, I’ve taken the liberty of contacting Professor Bruckner- who is the acting Chairperson of the Art and Marketing departments, during Professor Appleby’s maternity leave- to have him look into Tory’s academic record. She’s adhering to all of the stipulations of the contract. According to him, she’s exceeded the graduation requirements in both of her majors, and could’ve graduated at the end of last term. Why she didn’t take the option is beyond me but…”

“I was never informed of that option, Justin- erm, Mr. Taylor. Instead, I was told that I couldn’t leave yet due to the internship requirement. My last internship ended prior to the conclusion of the semester, due to the death of the owner and the subsequent takeover of the business by his son, who I didn’t get along with. So a new clause was added to the current contract, to prevent a situation like the one where all of my credit hours were negated, because of a long-standing vendetta perpetrated by him,” Tory tells us.

“What was the nature of the issue?” I ask.

“Very similar in nature to the one I suspect is occurring here, Mr. Kinney. I’m a lesbian; he’s a straight male with entitlement issues, who has inherited a multimillion dollar corporation. Do I need to say more?”

“I resent that implication, young lady…” Bradley begins, only to be interrupted vehemently.

“But you don’t deny its truth,” Tory sneers back.

“I... I…”

“Yeah, you," Justin interjects, calmly. "Now that we've established exactly what you thought you were going to gain by meeting today, let's talk about what's actually going to happen moving forward. Instead of meeting with you on Monday morning, Tory will be meeting with Professor Bruckner and the Board of Carnegie Mellon to apply for early graduation. He’s already in the process of setting up the meeting, and based on the current hours Tory has logged with JTDesigns, she has more than admirably fulfilled her graduation requirements. Furthermore, she is being offered a permanent position with Kinnetik JTD, formerly known as Kinnetik Enterprises and JTDesigns respectively, salary and benefits package to be determined upon receipt of said offer.

"For the benefit of your curiosity, Professor Miles, the reason she is being offered this very lucrative career choice and option is because within the last few months, Tory has proven herself invaluable. Her willingness and determination to see projects through to the end is phenomenal, and highly valued by both Brian and myself. Because of her drive and initiative, Kinnetik JTD has landed two multi-billion dollar accounts in the last two months, and has a meeting with a prospective third client early next week.”

“That all sounds well and good, but I still have to give my recommendation to the Board for her to graduate early. I cannot in good conscience allow such a thing to happen,” Bradley threatens again in Tory's direction.

Justin chuckled. “Let me be clear, Professor Miles. The fact that you called me this morning, under the pretense of reevaluating Tory’s grades and internship schedule, puts you in direct violation of the contract terms. Your motives for doing so, and for the token resistance you are giving now, are incredibly transparent, especially since Tory is sitting pretty with a 4.0 grade point average in both of her majors. Yes, Professor Bruckner also confirmed that for me, so there will not be a chance to tamper with her grades before Monday morning’s meeting.”

“I would never…”

“Sure, you would. Desperation makes men do crazy things, and it would have been nothing for you to try that trick, since you have access to her academic record. And maybe you would have grown a conscience at the last moment, realizing that you were attempting to sabotage a young woman because her friend, and soon-to-be boss continues to disregard you the way he would an unwanted choice of chewing gum. But we’ll never know that, will we? Now, I have been gracious in not letting your superiors know of your continued sexual harassment for two reasons, and two reasons only. The first is that I wanted to establish a conducive working relationship with Carnegie Mellon University for truly deserving students, of which Tory is most certainly one. The other reason is because you aren’t worth the fuck I don’t give.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“You heard me right. I don’t give a fuck about your thoughts, feelings, opinions, wants, needs, your dick, your untalented mouth, or barely tolerable ass. However, I do care a great deal about Tory and other students, who will eventually need an internship program willing to even put up with the likes of you, for their benefit. Please, for the love of all that is good and right in the world, let go of your delusions of grandeur and any fantasy-driven activity that would ever involve you and I together in ANY capacity. Simply put, I don’t do repeats… Brian and I don’t do repeats.

"You were a one-trick pony that filled a need for us to ride, and now it’s done. Move on! If the stalking via students, or any other attempts to get at me continues, I will make my complaints known to the Board of the college. I will provide emails, dates, times, places, and witnessed conversations as proof that you are not only hard of hearing, but also unfit to mold the young minds and future leaders, who are gracing their vaunted halls. Am I making myself clear, Professor Miles?”

“Crystal, Mr. Taylor,” he hoarsely whispers.

“See that it remains so. Now I believe that this meeting can be adjourned, since you have all of the necessary information regarding Tory’s intentions, and also that of Kinnetik JTD going forward. Good day, Professor Miles. Ted, will you please show the gentleman out? I think anymore time in his company will have Cynthia, Mel, and Tory ready to commit justifiable homicide. Brian has already been mentally murdering him since this morning; it’s best to not tempt fate at this point.”

As the door closed behind the stunned man, Mel began to laugh. I really couldn’t blame her, as I start to join in along with the rest. Ted came back in, and was nearly ready to keel over. As set downs go, Sunshine’s has to be one each of us will remember for a long time to come. Even I couldn't have done it better!

“How do you manage to literally curse him out, and insult him without mercy, yet sound like you just asked the fucker if he wanted tea?” Mel asks, still snickering.

“See what I mean, Ted?”

“Undoubtedly! He needs to hold classes,” he says, shaking his head in mirth and disbelief.

Justin chuckled. “I learned at the WASP school according to Jennifer Taylor, a very special class taught by a woman who could make even the words dick or pussy sound proper in everyday conversation.”

“I’m still learning from the Jennifer Taylor Operating Manual. She still manages to make me blush with some of the things she says.” I snicker, nabbing Justin around the waist and bringing him close to me.

“Stick with me and I’ll give you the cliffnotes,” he whispers.

“Sounds like a plan,” I say softly back, and seal the deal with a kiss. Sounds like a plan indeed!

Cause tonight The stars Are shining bright Aligned for you and I No, it's not about luck, This is all about us

'So why Don't we live Like we're alive Gotta open up our eyes No, it's not about luck, This is all about us.**


Sung by - Jordan Fisher

**Writer(s): Jenna Lauren Andrews, Dillon Pace, Francesco Yates, Rory Andrew **