- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER 39: CONFESSIONS Part 1

ANNETTE:

Although the storage unit is under Justin’s name and we have his express permission to enter it, I still wanted to have all of my ducks in a row, especially with Lindsay. A slippery eel has more traction than that slimy bitch. So I approached Judge Mason Marcel for an immediate search warrant. Although he’s always been on the up-and-up and by-the-book, he’s also the man whom I consider my mentor, having been mine and Galviston’s professor in law school. After explaining the situation fully and advising of the extenuating circumstances that makes this a matter of extreme importance, he happily signed the search warrant for us to legally enter the storage units. Mel had also given her permission to enter the other facilities bearing Lindsay’s name.

For such a smart woman, Lindsay was dumb. But then again, she’d always been one of what I called a Microwavable Bitch, the type of woman that wants everything right now, instead of taking steps and waiting to make sure everything is done right. She was in such a rush to begin making a life for herself that she never fully extricated herself legally from Melanie, even though the latter had. Hell, it’s the very first thing I did when it was evident that Bill and I weren’t going to make it to ‘happily ever after.’ Well, her inherent greed and abject stupidity are serving us well today.


Joy greeted me with hugs and a kiss on the cheek when we arrived at Everston Storage. “I just wanted to come down and see it all for myself,” she says. “It almost sounds like a knock-off Bonnie and Clyde movie.”

“Trust me, the plaintiff in this case would rather it be that. Justin Taylor is one of the nicest young men you could possibly meet, but now he’s pissed off. In my opinion, it’s better late than never, since it’s apparent that Novotny and Peterson have been gunning for him from the get go.”

“I could almost understand. I mean, Brian Kinney is quite the catch, after all. But to go to these lengths when the man clearly doesn’t want you? Well, they’ve clearly crossed the line from desperation into deranged. I’m glad that Justin is finally fighting back.”

“You know him?”

“Not personally, but I have heard of him. In fact, I’ve been following his progress since the bashing. It was tragic, and yet look at how he’s rising through adversity. I know plenty of people who could use just a tenth of his strength and courage. Hell, I’m one of them.”

I hug her close to my side. “You’re doing fine, you know? Sure it’s a huge undertaking to follow in your dad’s footsteps, but he knew you could handle it, which is why he and your uncle left everything to you. Even though you bought the business from Coltrane so he could retire, he was leaving it to you anyway. David couldn’t handle the responsibility.”

“My brother is still too busy pussyfooting his life away. Oh, if I could get away with it, I would cut off his monthly allowance just so he’d have no choice but to grow the fuck up! Running three businesses takes a lot of time.”

“True, but you’re built for it. Garrett’s been regaling me of your progress. He’s damn proud of you. I’m sure Joe and Cole are, too.”

She grew silent, absorbing my words before she cleared her throat. “So tell me something. When are you and Garrett getting married?” At my startled look, she burst out laughing. “Joking! Good God, girl, I’m just joking. I’ve never seen a more deer-in-headlights look than the one you just gave me.”

“It’s not that I don’t love him…”

“Annette, darling you don’t have to explain it to me. Anyone with eyes can see that although you do your best to remain professional, there is bone-deep, can’t sleep without you, love, between you two. Take it at your own pace, and if it never gets there, it doesn’t matter in the end, because you have each other. My BIL isn’t going anywhere.”

“BIL?”

“Brother-in-law. Although my husband Tony, and Garrett are cousins, they grew up as close as brothers. When his father passed, Robert formally adopted Tony. So yes, as far as I'm concerned, Garrett is my BIL. The first time Garrett mentioned you said it all to me. That starry eyed fool is prime-time in love with you.” She laughs, and I can’t help but join her.

“So I hear your other BIL is in town.”

“Brandon? Does that mean…?”

“It most certainly does. They are out to dinner right now getting to know each other.”

Whatever she was about to say was halted by Garrett’s yell. “JACKPOT!”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*ADLS

LE MONT RESTAURANT

BRIAN

Justin is still stewing, although he’s making a magnanimous effort to keep calm and have a good time. But he can’t fool me. He’s hurting, and what’s worse is that I can’t do anything to fix it. I keep wondering why I didn’t do anything to stop all of this before it got so far out of control. Why did I turn a blind eye all of Michael and Lindsay’s bullshit? Was it just a simple case of seeing what I wanted to see?

I mean, how afraid do you have to be of losing people that you become mentally and emotionally paralyzed?

“Stop it.”

“What?” I turn slightly to look at Justin, who had just spoken softly to me.

“I said stop it, Brian. You can’t hold yourself responsible for the actions of two adults who really DO know better, despite evidence to the contrary.”

“But…”

“He’s right, Brian,” Jennifer said. “Lindsay and Michael really do know better than they portray. Innocent and wide-eyed are their currency, and it’s always worked on you before. It isn’t your fault entirely, but I can understand why you want to blame yourself. Don’t! People make choices everyday; those two aren’t any different. They are also making the choice to think that you are going to bail them out again. But you aren’t, are you?”

“Hell no, I’m not.”

“Then let them sleep in the beds their greed and envy made, right in their wonderful new accomodations of nine-by-nine cells. Their actions call for this! And honestly, Darling, you have more important things to worry about and look after, beginning with yourself. So do that."

If there was one person on this earth I have learned not to argue with, it’s Jennifer Taylor. The small upraised eyebrow above a set of glaring eyes is probably one of the only things in this world that freezes me immediately, and causes me to swallow hard. It’s not hard to see where Justin has gotten his backbone. I sigh deeply. “Yes, Mother Taylor.”

“Very good, Brian. And I love you, too.” She smirks, while Justin and Molly burst out laughing.

“Welcome to the family, Brian,” Molly hiccups, still snorting with laughter. “No one has ever been able to resist that look. It’s her superpower.”

“Can you teach it to me, Jennifer? You have no idea how many times I have tried to ruffle or freeze Kinney, and failed,” Mel snickers. “It’s definitely a skill that could prove very useful.”

After that, the table became lively again. And even if it’s at my expense, I’m glad. Justin becoming pensive is always a dangerous thing. But an angry, pensive Justin means I’m either not getting laid, or I’m not walking straight tomorrow. I’m not trying to be one step away from needing a body cast, no matter how much fun I would have had, while fucking an insatiable and irate Justin.  

“Big Bad, stop that! If you can’t take us with you on that particular daydream, stop thinking about it,” Emmett orders. At my smirk, he just laughs.

“Oh Nancy and I know all about that particular joyride of the mind, don’t we dear?” Ronald adds, as Justin turns red beside me.

“Dad!” Lynette exclaims.

“Hey, sister present!” Claire reminds.

“Impressionable youth here…” Jennifer mock-reprimands.

Molly protests. “Mom, please. Need I remind you what I walked in on the other day?”

The whole table yells, “NO!” And then we all start laughing anew.

“There are some things just best forgotten,” I tell her.

“I wish I had brain bleach, or the power to unsee that! So yours and Justin’s escapades couldn’t possibly be any worse than that. It’s bad when you actually find yourself praying for blindness, a scratched cornea, the false eyes that you get on Halloween… ANYTHING so that you don’t see that!” She shivers.

“Better you than me, Mollusk. Definitely better you than me,” Justin says, between laughter.

“So, about Rage, Justin… any plans to continue it once you get your rights back?” Brett asks. I could see the eager and hopeful look in Connor’s eyes at the mention of the comic.

“Oh, I officially have them back,” he tells them to the cheers of everyone, gathered at the table. “As for what to do, I haven’t thought about it too much yet. Monday, after the meeting with Balmain and Eyeconics, I was going to take a look at Red Cape Comics to see what could be done to make it profitable and self-sustaining, while I reformat Rage.”

“Reformat?” Connor asks. “The story itself was great, even if it was your own. The story of you and Brian is amazing!”

“Thanks for saying that, Connor,” Justin says before pausing, only to start again. “The problem is that I don’t want it to mirror our lives so much. Michael couldn’t come up with an original thought if it kicked him in the head, and it shows, as Rage has been written so far. But I want my Rage to be more human, and be able to reach a wider audience. If I have to do two versions of the same story, then I will so that older kids and young adults will be able to read it as well. I want him to be more mature; to learn and grow from each experience as opposed to just being able to control someone’s mind. Michael thought too small.”

“So does that mean they won’t be comics anymore?” I ask, because I really want to see where Justin is heading with this.

“I haven’t decided if they should just be novels or graphic novels yet. Or maybe do a comic version for the YA genre, while making the Adult versions more in-depth. But what I do know is that I want the words to be just as powerful as the pictures, should I choose to draw anything beyond the book cover. That alone will set it apart from the current Rage franchise as is. The paraphernalia will still apply, and the already printed comic versions of Rage are now considered collector’s items. But with more characters and a different theme, Rage could do more than just fly. It could soar beyond all expectations, even my own.”

“And it would make another hidden dream of yours a reality. You’d be a published author.”

“Justin, is that true?” Ben asks. “I didn’t know you wanted to do that.”

Justin smiles brightly. “Brian is the only one I’ve ever told that, and it’s something that I learned during my recovery. Art comes in many forms. A wordsmith creates art through their writings, just as a painter does with a brush. It’s why I have confidence that Rage would succeed, no matter what form it takes.”

“So this thing with Red Cape Comics… what are you planning for that?” Ted asks.

“That’s what I’m trying to decide. Lord knows, I have no interest in collectibles, even if they are worth a fortune, so those will have to go. From what I could see of the numbers from the store at first glance, Michael was overpricing comics that could be gotten for two dollars less at the Big Q. It’s why he had so very little foot traffic.”

“Of course, you would notice that first, Sunshine,” I say, wryly. “So does that mean we’re dismantling the store?”

We’re?”

“Of course. You didn’t think I would let you go it alone, did you? Besides, we were always magic together, so why fuck with a tried and true formula for success?”

Justin got lost in my eyes for a moment, and I was glad to see that my words had the desired effect on him. No doubt, Justin really did think that I would have little, or nothing, to do with it since it was Michael’s dream being taken over by him. But the fact is that I put untold amounts of money into that store, and what I didn’t put out, Michael stole from Justin. Beyond owing him for the misjudgments of the people I formerly called friends, I consider betting on Justin Cole Taylor, a sure thing. I wouldn’t be half the businessman I am if I didn’t know I could take a chance on him… and win.

“The first thing to go is the name," Justin declares. "It showcases that Michael only intended for his ‘mental’ age group to patron there…”

“Justin…” Jennifer warns, amid the snickers while covering her own.

“What part of what I said wasn’t true? But anyway, we need a new name. And since I don’t want to only source books from there, but video games and movies too, it has to be something with a universal appeal.”

“Well Sunshine, what is it? You name all of the important things in this family,” I say and am gratified by both the slight gasp, and the dreamy look in his eyes.

“Bushido.”

“Bushido? Please tell me that you are not naming it after…”

“Brian!” Everyone yells, and I can’t stop the guffaw that leaves me.

“Brian, I think the Japanese Masters would have a lot to say about that.” Ben wipes his eyes from laughter.

“What does it mean?” Em asks.

“It means to live by honor and morals in the feudal Japanese Samurai. It tolls the virtues of unquestionable loyalty, obedience, and honor above life," Justin explains, while Ben nods.

"Basically, the exact opposite personification of Lindsay and Michael. But it also describes the both of you. It's an excellent name, Justin,” Ben adds, causing a brilliant smile to grace Sunshine's lips.

I nod, and raise my glass because let’s face it… my blond is brilliant! “Bushido!”

“Bushido!” Everyone drinks and as I put my glass back on the table, Justin’s warm lips meet mine.


*~*~*~*~ADLS

JUSTIN

With dinner done and dessert being handed out, we have to address the subject of Claire and Brandon at the table. I know that Brian would rather not talk about it at all, but he has to know all the facts in order to make an informed decision. I can’t imagine what he’s going through- what any of them are going through- but I’m determined to be here for him. All of us are.

“It was nice to share an actual dinner with you, Brian,” Claire tells him.

“You too,” he responds, and I place my hand under the table on his thigh. I can feel the tenseness thrumming through him, and do my best to soothe it.

“I know you have no reason to believe me, but I really am sorry about everything.”

“Sorry is bullshit.”

“Not if you truly mean it, and I do, Brian. I really do.”

He looked at her then. Really looked at her. What he saw must have made him accept her apology. But instead of saying so, he asks, “How long have you been sober?”

She smiled then. “Since about a week after the last time we… talked. You gave me some hard truths about myself, that caused me to at least acknowledge some things I would have preferred remained hidden. But it wasn’t until…" She takes a deep breath then, before completing her statement. "It wasn’t until I saw myself in Joan that I realized something had to change fast.”

“What do you mean?”

“I almost… I almost hit Peter, through no fault of his own. Mother and I were arguing, and I had been drinking to cope with her constant nagging and badgering about everything I wasn’t. Peter was just there. I stopped myself but… well, it scared me right into rehab. I was able to do an outpatient program, because I didn’t have anyone reliable to keep the boys. And it was hard, but I did it! I didn’t give up, Brian! I understand now what it is to fight for what you want, and I wanted it, just like you. Not in the same context, but I was determined to make it, and I am.”

“And how does it feel, Claire?” I ask, because Brian is just barely holding onto his emotions at this point.

“It feels pretty fucking amazing, Justin.” She blanched at what she’d just said. “Oh, sorry for my language, everyone.”

Nancy was the first to snicker. “That’s alright, dear. But just this once, you’re entitled to be a little overzealous in your excitement publicly. I’ve only known you for a short time, but you’ve accomplished so much.”

She blushed. “I see things a lot more clearly now that I’m not painting everything with the brush of Brian’s accomplishments. In fact, if I’m honest, Joan was the major source of inspiration.”

“Why? Brian asked, genuinely puzzled.

My mom laughed, apparently understanding immediately. “There’s an old adage that says: If you want to know what your wife will be like in ten years, look to her mother. I gather Claire decided to take that adage, applied it towards herself, and found it severely lacking. Congratulations, dear, although my other son hasn’t said much, I know he’s proud of you.”

She beams with pride, but says, “Well Brian was always a mouthy guy of few words. He’d always bestowed praise with a ‘Not bad; not bad at all.’ If I got a ‘good job’ from him, I’d probably fall out of my chair.”

“Claire, good job,” Brian says wryly, causing all of us to laugh, especially Claire. He looks over to me. “Damn, I thought it would work. She said it would…”

“She said probably, you goof,” I chuckle. It was nice to see the side of Brian that only I knew existed, publicly. I sobered though, because there was something that we still needed to address. “So what are we all going to do about Joan?”

“Why do anything?” Claire asks. “Brian and I don’t speak to her anymore. Of course, I’m sure Brian sends checks to keep it that way.”

“Like it or not, you and Brian have to speak to her. She allowed…”

“Sunshine…”

“No, Brian. Just... no. She allowed Jack to hurt you. Not just physically but mostly emotionally, by withholding the truth from you. Claire knew, but it wasn’t her place to tell you. That came down to Joan, and she ran from it. Now you and Claire have a brother that you’re just meeting, when it all could have been so different if she had just owned up to it, instead of hiding in the bottom of a bottle and her Bible. She’s always had a lot to say about the way you live your life, when she was less than perfect herself. It’s time she owns up to that!”

The table had grown silent at the end of my tirade, and I wasn’t sure if my words were received as they were meant, or if this was something that would, once again, drive a wedge between me and Brian. Admittedly, it was a delicate subject, but the time for kid gloves was long past. After all, look how allowing Michael and Lindsay to live in their delusions of grandeur was turning out. For their supposed truth to Brian’s face, they were just counterfeit friends to him. Jack and Joan weren’t parents; they were fakes, incapable of telling the truth, not only to themselves and each other, but especially to their children.

“He’s right, Brian,” Brandon sighed. “You and Claire have been abused in the worst way possible. She told the ultimate lie, and you were both punished for it. Claire was abused for having to keep the secret, while you were abused because you were the secret. You were everything your… Jack, wasn’t, and she knew that. But instead of sending you where you could grow and flourish, with a man who genuinely loves you as a son, she kept you there to be her bodyguard and her punching bag, both physically and emotionally. It’s time she’s faced with the truth of it. Then you, me, and Claire can officially shake the dust from our feet and exit Joan Kinney’s life with a clear conscience, and build something for ourselves… together.”

Ronald spoke then. “Son- for that is sort of how I see you, Brian- you have to do this. Not because we’re telling you to, but because it’s who you are; because of who you’re still growing up to be. Nancy once told me that people pass through your life for three reasons: to help you, to teach you something, or to stay forever. Those of us, right here, whether you’ve known us for your whole life, or just a short while, are your forever family. And who knows, maybe Joan will become one of us if she cleans herself up. I can’t say. But I do know that she taught you some things- or more accurately taught you what not to do in your own life- and now it’s time to let her go. But before you do, you need to impart a lesson to her about consequences. Like Michael and that creature who is Lindsay, they’ve never had to own up to what they’ve done. They will now. It’s also Joan’s turn.”

“We’ll all be there with you, Brandon, and Claire,” Nancy states, firmly. “As a mother, I have some choice words to say to her. I may not have been the best mother to Lynette and Lindsay, but I have never lied to them to the extent that it shakes their identity. That’s just fucking unforgivable!”

“Language!” We all call out, and she bursts out laughing.

“What can I say? Brian and Justin have rubbed off on me in the very best of ways,” she defends herself. “So what do you say, Brian? Are you ready to move on to your future by addressing your past, one last time?”

We sat in silence as Brian weighed all of our words carefully. Although he would always listen thoughtfully to every opinion given, we all knew that Brian would never do something he didn’t want to do. Finally coming to a decision he says, “Tuesday morning at eight. It will seem befitting, since she always attends Mass at noon. She’ll have plenty of reasons to repent.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

EVERSTON MOVING and STORAGE

GARRETT:

There are days when I love my job, and then there are days like this. Days where the word love seems like such a small word in comparison to what I really feel for bringing Michael Novotny and Lindsay Peterson to justice. It doesn’t matter that the key information came by way of rat-boy, Ethan Gold, only that the end result is this.

“So what have you found?” Annette asks me. The sound of her voice is just that tiny bit anxious that always sets my dick to rising.

I really wish I could pick her up and spin her around in my elation. But we’ve agreed to keep our relationship out of the office, even if everyone knows we’re together. Well she’s owed part one of the fuck of her life tonight. Part two will come when Novotny is sentenced on his charges, and then part three, when this is finally over and Peterson is done for. Yeah, she and I will need to take the week off.

Annette can give as good as she gets and I intend to give it to her so good that sitting down, standing up and laying down will be a problem for both of us!

I clear my head of the fantasy for the moment, and answer her. “Besides all three units containing what Gold told us was in them?” She nods. “Well there are also a collection of videos…”

“Videos?” she asks, and then it dawns on her what kind. “Oh tell me those sick ass bastards didn’t do that! They didn’t record…”

“Yeah, they did, but it didn’t just start when Justin came on the scene. They have been recording Brian’s exploits for years. They just recently hid them here, under Justin's name. And most telling is that the feed is still going. If they had looked or had been here, they would have blown several gaskets between them because guess who is the only one featured recently,” I tell her smugly.

She shakes her head. “Bag up everything as evidence. Also, have we located twelve grand in merchandise recently purchased from Novotny?”

“Not yet, but I know exactly where to look. I’m sure the credit card is there too, because Ted said that there were some recent purchases made.”

“Get a search warrant for 1223 Sycamore Lane immediately. If Debbie Novotny is trying to cover for her son, I’ll haul her ass in too!”

 

That’s my woman!