- Text Size +

JUSTIN 

 

I really like John, he's funny and he's not making an issue of him and Brian once being together. We invited the guys to come along, because none of us have spent much time together since I got back. Michael was having his first visit with Jenny and I couldn't help but worry about her. She needs Michael to make tonight about her, not him. Deb told me she would check on them, so just have fun. The boys were hanging with Tucker and Mom. So we were childless for the first time. John about tripped over his feet when Brian introduced us, apparently he's a big fan of my art.

 

“I'm truly jealous Brian. You had to pick one of New York's biggest new artists.” He tells Brian. 

 

“I picked him up on the street.” Brian tells him tongue in cheek.

 

“Seriously, how did you two meet? I know he talked about a Justin, just not my favorite artist.” He asks me.   

 

“He's actually telling the truth, we met under a streetlight in front of his club.” I tell him. 

 

“Maybe you could show me that streetlight.” John jokes to Brian. 

 

“I could, but there's only one Justin and I don't share.” He tells John.

 

“Are you working on anything new?” John asks me.

 

“I need to start looking at some of the paintings I haven’t shown, and I was working on a new one when Brian needed me to help with Gus.” I tell him.

 

“You're able to see Gus?” John asks Brian.

 

“Only because my son ran away from home and went to find Justin.” He tells John.

 

“I’m glad that that was resolved. I honestly worried about that.” He tells me.

 

“I just wish Gus didn’t have to run away to make it possible.” I tell him and like him more for being worried for Brian.

 

“Any chance I could see some of your work?” He asks me.

 

“I need to get a place to store the work I have here. I have a vault at my house in New York, but haven’t really had a chance to see if there was a place I could store my work here.” I tell him.

 

“I have a gallery that we could store your work in.” He tells me.

 

“You bought that?” Brian asks him.

 

“I’m thinking of settling here, between assignments. I like traveling, but a place that is home would be nice.” He tells us.

 

“Where are you staying now?” I ask him.

 

“At a hotel for the week. I wanted to visit Brian and check out the gallery.” He tells me.

 

“Why not stay with us?” I ask him, to see Brian looking surprised.

 

“I could if you want me too, I just don’t want to impose.” He tells me.

 

“Justin, we have to leave on Friday to go to New York.” Brian reminds me.

 

“If John doesn’t have any plans he could come with us and see my work.” I tell him.

 

“I’m still trying to figure out how you're able to help Murph and get ready for a show.” Ted tells me.

 

“I like being busy, with being here, the kids are visiting with people and freeing up a lot of my time.” I tell Ted.

 

“Maybe you could help Emmett. I really think he should be slowing down.” Drew tells me looking at Emmett.

 

“Drew, other than planning the events I am taking it easy. I have my assistant doing most of the work.” He tells him.

 

“Justin might need your help planning the wedding.” Brian tells Emmett.

 

“Emmett can help, but I was thinking of having everyone over for a small party and getting married at the end of the night.” I tell him.

 

“When are you two getting married?” John asks.

 

“Two weeks from this weekend.” Brian tells him.

 

“I could take the pictures if you want. I don’t really have plans to do anything for a month. I was going to see my family next week and then just travel around.” He tells us.

 

“Why not stay with us? With the kids, I’m going to need all kinds of help to get painting done.” I tell John.

 

“Are you sure? Because I don’t want to impose.” He asks me.

 

“I was hoping you could help me with a concept. I need a photographer to help with some pictures I want to manipulate.” I tell him.

 

“Okay, but just a warning Brian. I’m going to be fanboying it, my favorite artist wants to work with me.” John tells me.

 

“As long as it’s just fanboying, because I would hate to dump you off at the nearest landfill.” Brian tells him.

 

“You want to come to New York with us?” I ask him.

 

“If I get to see your work, than yes.” He tells me.

 

“I want to come too.” Emmett tells Justin.

 

“I already thought you were, we could go look at baby clothes for you.” I tell him.

 

“Why don’t we all go?” Brian tells Ted.

 

“We could go see the opera you wanted to see.” Blake tells Ted.

 

“You like Opera?” I ask Blake.

 

“Ted turned me onto it. We haven’t seen one in New York.” He tells me.

 

“Thomas could get you into one showing on Broadway if you want.” I tell him.

 

“Ted, please?” Blake begs him.

 

“How about ‘Justin pretty please’.” Ted begs me.

 

“I’ll call him and promise to bring Daphne, you’ll get the best seats in the house.” I tell them.

 

“Drew are you going to come?” Brian asks him.

 

“I have a penthouse there so we might as well use it. Emmett could at least relax this weekend.” Drew tells him.

 

“How far along are you?” John asks Emmett.

 

“The doctor said five months.” Drew smiles.

 

“Did you find out what you're having?” I ask Emmett. 

 

“A boy, I’m so excited. I hope he looks like Drew.” Emmett tells me.

 

“So you all have kids?” John asks.

 

“Blake and I don’t, but right now we are too busy for one.” Ted tells us.

 

“We honestly like being able to do things when we want. I can play uncle to all your kids.” Blake tells us.

 

“Don’t have kids if you aren’t ready to give up everything for them.” I tell Blake.

 

“I think that’s why I’m not having baby fever. I like that Ted and I can be selfish with our time.” Blake tells me.

 

“I like being able to do what I want too, but I want what Brian and Justin have one day. I just have to find someone other than Justin.” John jokes as Brian sneers at him.

 

“I have a friend who lives in New York that you could meet.” I tell him.

 

“Save me from the matchmaker.” John throws himself at Emmett.

 

“There there sweetie, I’m sure Justin has a fine man for you to meet.” He tells John.

 

“As long as HIV doesn’t scare you.” I tell him.

 

“Ben?” Brian asks me.

 

“You’ve seen Ben?” Emmett asks me.

 

“He teaches at NYU, we ran into each other and became friends.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Yeah, he didn’t seem to want to mention that there was nothing going between me and Michael.” Brian growls.

 

“Brian I told you, he respected my decision not to want to hear about it.” I remind him.

 

“Is this the guy who was dating Michael?” John asks.

 

“Yeah, but he’s really good looking and a nice guy, no matter how Brian feels about it.” I tell John.

 

“I have to wonder about anyone who would date Michael.” He tells me.

 

“He give you shit too?” I ask John.

 

“Of course, Brian’s his and I’m just a placeholder. The fact that Brian and I were only just friends didn’t stop the never ending speeches.” John tells me.

 

“I’m just hoping that everything goes well for Jenny tonight.” I tell Brian.

 

“He finally called to see Jenny?” Emmett asks us.

 

“It’s only been a few days, but Deb told us he requested to see her. We thought it would be good for Jenny. It better be or Michael is going to wish he never called.” Brian tells us.

 

“Gus told us that he wasn’t a shitty father to Jenny.” I tell Brian.

 

“I just love that Gus put shitty in a sentence.” Brian tells me.

 

“Well he’s been around Deb, what do you expect?” I ask him.

 

“That he learn to spell it out the way Jacob does.” Brian jokes.

 

“They both are probably being told by Mom that either way isn’t acceptable.” I tell him.

 

“My God, you two are so domestic.” John tells us.

 

“Three kids.” Brian tells him.

 

“Are you going to add to the bunch?” John asks.

 

“We aren’t sure right now.” I tell him.

 

“Maybe, it would be nice to actually be there to see one of my kids being born.” Brian tells us.

 

“I’m sorry.” I whisper to him.

 

“I didn’t say it to make you feel bad. I just would like to be there from the beginning. If we decide to have another one, then I will.” He kisses me.

 

Brian’s phone rings while I listen to Emmett talk about the latest bride’s mother-in-law.

 

“The poor girl can’t make a decision without her mother-in-law saying they should do it her way.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Did she tell the mother-in-law it was her wedding, not the mother-in-law’s.” John asks.

 

“I think she’s afraid of the mother-in-law.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Does she realizes when she marries the guy the mom comes with him?” Blake asks us.

 

“Justin, we need to get to Deb’s.” Brian interrupts.

 

“Is everything okay?” John asks.

 

“Jenny showed up at Deb’s. No sign of Michael, hopefully he dropped her off and the kids aren’t all practicing running away.” Brian tells us.

 

“We’ll get the bill, just go.” Ted tells us.

 

“I can come with you.” John tells us.

 

“Ted why don’t you help John get his things and take him to the house. You could get settled while we see what happened.” I tell him.

 

“We’ll meet you at the house.” Emmett tells us.

 

“You want me to come with you?” Drew asks us.

 

“Let us find out what’s going on.” Brian tells them.

 

We leave and head straight to Deb’s, Michael better have a good reason that Jenny ended up at Deb’s alone. I get there to see Michael standing on Deb’s lawn yelling at Deb. Carl looks like he’s about to kick Michael’s ass. 

 

“Michael, how did Jenny end up here and not with you?” I ask him.

 

“None of your business, maybe Brian and I should discuss what you think my daughter should call you.” He sneers at me.

 

“Please tell me that you didn’t fucking let Jenny run off by herself because she likes Justin.” Deb tells him.

 

“She didn’t run off by herself, she just told me that she wanted to come here.” He tells me.

 

“HOW THE FUCK DID SHE GET HERE?” I yell at him. He better have been with her the whole goddamn time. I will not have her on her own, no matter what she said to Michael.

 

“I FUCKING DROPPED HER OFF!” Michael yells at me.

 

“You didn’t stay to make sure Deb knew that?” Brian asks him.

 

“She told me she was mad and wanted me to leave.” Michael tells us.

 

“Brian, Deb, go check on her. I need to talk to Michael alone.” I tell them.

 

“I don’t want to talk to you.” He tells me.

 

“Then you don’t see Jenny unless your mother is with you at all times. I won’t have you acting like a jackass around her.” I tell him.

 

“Justin, maybe I should deal with Michael.” Brian tells me.

 

“No, he won’t learn if he thinks you guys are there to coddle his ass.” I tell him.

 

Brian takes Deb into the house and Carl tells me to yell if Michael causes anymore problems.

 

“We are going to talk and then you are going to go in that house and tell your daughter that you love her when we’re done. You only have this one chance to get it right, because I’m here for her, not you. Jenny only asked to see you when she found out she would be living with me. Which to me means you must being doing something right when it comes to her. Be the fucking father she seems to love, not an immature child. What did she say that caused this?” I ask him.

 

“She called you Dad.” He glares at me.

 

“Michael, the boys call me that, she probably thinks it’s my name. I don’t think she did it to piss you off and I haven’t asked her to call me anything. If you want me to tell her she can’t I will, but you need to explain that to her. I can be Uncle Justin or whatever name we can agree too.” I tell him.

 

“It’s feels like you are taking everything and didn’t have to work for it. I’ve been there for everything for Jenny. She shouldn’t want you.” He tells me.

 

“Michael, I didn’t take Jenny, but I sure as hell want her to be raised knowing that we all love her. I can’t change that Brian never chose you and truthfully, I don’t understand why you keep fooling yourself into thinking he’s ever wanted more from you. This isn’t about that, it’s about your daughter. It’s decision time Michael, do you want a good relationship with her or are we going to keep playing this game where you think I’m the person taking everything from you?” I ask him.

 

“I want her to live with me.” He tells me.

 

“Then do what it takes to get her, but understand, I love that little girl and plan to stay in her life. It won’t matter where she lives and who she calls what. She’s special for being her, and you need to remember that when you get pissy that everything isn’t the way you want it.” I tell him.

 

Michael doesn’t say a word but walks by me and goes in the house. I didn’t want to go in there because I was angry that he couldn’t manage to curb his jealousy to take care of his daughter. Brian comes outside and puts his arms around me from behind. He rest his head on my shoulder.

 

“So this was because she referred to you as Dad?” He asks me.

 

“I don’t know what to do about it. I love that she’s that comfortable with me, but she really should call me Uncle Justin. How do we tell her that without her feeling left out.” I tell him.

 

“Believe it or not, Michael told her if she loved you enough to want to call you that, he would accept it. Jenny told him that she just calls you what the boys do. Maybe he listened to you.” Brian tells me.

 

“I want Jenny to have the father she seems to love.” I tell him.

 

“I guess even with all the stupid shit he was doing, he was at least getting it right with Jenny.” Brian tells me.

 

“Think I could talk him into giving up on you?” I joke.

 

“You ever manage that and you will have accomplished the impossible.” He tells me.

 

“He seemed to listen when I was talking to him.” I tell him.

 

“It’s because you won’t let him talk out of his ass. With me he only seems to hear what he wants to hear.” He tells me.

 

“As long as Jenny is okay, he can dream all he wants. I know the truth.” I tell him.

 

“What’s the truth?” Brian turns me to look at him.

 

“That you're my home and I’m yours.” I tell him.

 

“Guys, Jenny wants to stay with Michael tonight. Are you okay with that?” Carl asks us.

 

“I want to go with my Daddy.” Jenny tells me running down the steps with Michael behind her.

 

“We aren’t going to be getting any calls that there’s a problem are we?” I ask Michael.

 

“I promise that you won’t hear anything but Jenny had a wonderful time with me.” He tells me.

 

“Than take Jenny and show her what a good father you are.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, could we talk?” Michael asks him.

 

“Michael, this is your time with Jenny, use it wisely.” I tell him.

 

“Come on Jenny, let's go get some ice cream and videos.” He tells a smiling Jenny.

 

Jenny hugs me and Brian and runs off with her father. Deb shakes her head at me.

 

“He does love her, Deb.” Brian tells her.

 

“I know that, but when is he going to stop being a child. I should have made him take responsibility for his life sooner.” She tell us.

 

“None of us helped him, we keep letting him get away with shit.” Brian tells her.

 

“Apparently Justin won’t.” She tells us.

 

“He can chase Brian till the end of time and I won’t care. Jenny loves him and he needs to make sure he shows her that he deserves that love. I’m going to tell you now, if this happens again, Michael get’s grounded.” I joke.

 

Brian and I leave to meet the guys at the house. Brian isn’t thrilled with Michael but told me that this is pure Michael. 

 

“He always pouts when he gets upset.” He tells me.

 

“Pouting is fine, but he doesn’t dump her when she says or does something he doesn’t like.” I tell him.

 

“He’s probably going to try to prove to her he’s the best Dad.” He tells me.

 

“That’s up to him. It’s not a competition to me. I want the kids to grow up happy, and if Michael can make his daughter happy, then fine. If Jenny wants to see Mel, we do that too.” I tell him.

 

“Like I said, we do the opposite of all of them.” He tells me.