- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

I think it was a tie on who looked at Brian like he was crazier; me, Sarah, or the doctor. Gus seemed to think nothing was wrong with Brian questioning why they only see one baby on the screen. He kept insisting that Jamie was hiding in there. Which had us all wondering who Jamie was.

 

“Look, wave that thing around until you find him. He likes to hide more than Brent does.” He said, very seriously.

 

“We’ll do it one more time but the fetus..”

 

“Brent and Jamie, not the fetus.” Brian tells him.

 

“Just humor him, I’m getting cold here.” Sarah tells the doctor. laughing.

 

The doctor took the wand from the tech, who was giggling at how Brian corrected the doctor. It took a few minutes to find, but there was a second one. Not that there was a lot to see but a blob at this point.

 

“It seems I owe you an apology for doubting you.” The doctor admitted when they started taking measurements of baby two.

 

It somehow bothered Brian that they didn’t just put the babies names on the screen. The doctor tried to say that at this point there was no way to tell if they were boys or girls or one of each. At that point, I thanked the doctor and dragged Brian and Gus from the room, to give Sarah time to change without Brian offering an opinion on maternity wear, which she didn’t need yet. It’s like he felt he had to arrange everything, being the control freak he is. The doctor handed Brian the video and printouts of the babies. We left before Brian corrected the doctor again about the sex of his children.

 

After dropping Sarah off, we drove to our apartment, planning to stay long enough for Brian to work with Kelly on a new campaign. Gus and I were going to check out a new movie and eat the crap Brian hates. We were sharing a pizza back at home after the movie when Gus started telling me about my mother and her speech to the girls.

 

“Nana about took their heads off when every place she showed them, they seemed to find a problem with. She told them anything could be changed if they were willing to put some work into it. I think she meant the house, but Mom took it as relationship advice and started telling Nana how they were working on talking to each other. Nana told them it was wonderful that they want to communicate, but could they figure out the house situation first. Uncle Mikey sort of told Nana that they were driving him crazy. Which meant she had to listen to Uncle Mikey go on and on before she had to deal with Mom and Mama not liking anything they saw. Nana told me and Jenny she was sorry, but that we’d have to live at Uncle Mikey’s forever, since for all Mom and Mama’s talking, they forgot to decide what they were looking for. Mom stupidly said that not everyone can afford a castle the way Brian did. I don’t think she meant to piss off Nana, but you know how Nana is when anyone says anything negative about Dad around her. Nana told her that all Dad wanted was a home for you and him, and the house he bought was the house he wanted to raise me and any other children in, it wasn’t the size that mattered, but that he saw his future in the house he bought. She suggested they decide if they see the future, not a stain that can be painted over, or a kitchen that could be renovated.” He tells me.

 

“It worked, because they picked a house.” I tell him.

 

“Which they could have picked earlier since it was the first house Nana took them to. I don’t think they get that Nana knows what she’s talking about.” He tells me.

 

“Your Nana knows all Sonny Boy.” Brian tells us, wrinkling his nose at our pizza with everything.

 

“How is it when Michael brings over a pizza you eat it, but when we get one you look at it like it offends you.” I ask, as he starts picking at a piece.

 

“Do you see this?” He says, holding up a piece of pineapple. “It’s fruit, baked into something other than dessert. I just can’t understand the how anybody could ruin a pizza with fruit.” He tells me.

 

“Please, if it won’t clog his arteries, Uncle Mikey doesn’t touch it.” Gus tells him.

 

“I wouldn’t talk Sonny Boy, nothing you seem to love eating is much better than Uncle Mikey’s idea of food groups.” Brian teases him.

 

“Pineapple is good, in fact if you think about it, Jus and I have every food group on our pizza.” Gus tells him.

 

“I have to agree with our son.” I tell him.

 

“Hopefully Brent and Jamie will help you see the error in your ways.” Brian mumbles, eating everything but the crust.

 

“Where did you come up with those names?” I ask.

 

“He said Brent and Jamie told him when they show up to play.” Gus tells me, as Brian pretends to be interested in picking apart the crust.

 

I waited until we were alone to talk to Brian, he has to know it sounded a bit off that he believed our children were playing with him.

 

“Don’t you think it could be that Marilyn put it in you head, and your dreams are the result of it.” I suggested.

 

“I'd like to point out there was a twin in there. You're always the one who believes in fate showing us the way. I'm willing to believe our sons stop by to play.” He tells me.

 

“You've been a skeptic throughout our relationship. It's a huge change that you're now willing to believe anything that you can't hear, see, or touch.” I tell him.

 

“You showed me that sometimes you have to believe in things, even when everyone tells you it's not possible. I believe the painting you have yet to create is about us.” He tells me.

 

“Now your seeing my future work. Are they selling still?” I joke.

 

“I'm sure you'll alway sell, but these are the five that turn your original five to ten. I'll tell you now it's only second to your best work, after Brent and Jamie.” He tells me.

 

“What are they like?” I ask, giving in.

 

MICHAEL

 

I took Jen to lunch for helping the girls get out of my house. Ben had to pull me off her when I kept hugging her. She didn’t mind, which I told Ben when he stopped me from hugging her again when she got the closing hurried, so they could start moving in.

 

“I sound like I hated them at my house, but normally I don't have them practically living with us. I'm the one who takes forever to make decisions, and now I want to apologize to everyone after this.” I tell her.

 

“I get it, I like not having people over for longer than a couple of nights. It's hard to share your space with people.” She tells me.

 

“I'll never get how Ma does it.” I tell them.

 

“If you noticed, since she and Carl started living together, she doesn't invite everyone the way she used too. Other than Sunday dinners, they aren't always opening the house to everyone.” Ben tells me.

 

“Emmett was the last one of her boys to live there. After him, she changed all the rooms into things for her and Carl.” I tell him.

 

“Even your old room.” Ben reminds me.

 

“Justin even says he misses the wallpaper. I couldn’t argue with her, that room was a way to run from growing up.” I tell him.

 

“I don’t know, there were some items in that room that made me wonder why you didn't want Deb clearing it out.” Jen laughs when I turn red. “Don’t worry, Justin and Emmett warned Carl to get your magazines out.” She just had to add to my blush.

 

“Have you heard from Brian and Justin about the baby?” Ben asks, changing the subject.

 

“Twins, Brian told me boys even though they aren’t at a stage he could know that.” She tells us.

 

“I hate tofu.” I muttered.

 

TED

 

Brian called, wanting to know if I worked up what Justin would need to start Taylor-Kinney Talent. I looked into what he wanted, but it was really a business where the talent paid the bills. Brian already purchased the building next door to us and made plans to have it connected to Kinnetik. He wanted Justin’s office connected to his, which meant changing everything about our offices. I jokingly told him it would be easier to buy the building on our other side and own the whole block, with all the changes we were making to his Ad agency. I got the go ahead for it, like he took it seriously.

 

“Brian, I was just kidding.” I tell him.

 

“Right now you’re working on spreading out into financial planning, and with Justin adding a talent agency, we’re going to need the room. Justin can afford both buildings without hurting us financially.” He tells me.

 

“He could, but I thought we were using Kinnetik to finance this.” I tell him.

 

“The twat doesn’t like taking out loans on Kinnetik. You know Justin, he has to do things the way he wants to.” He tells me, proud of Justin.

 

“I should be helping, since the financial planning is really my baby.” I tell him.

 

“It’s a partnership, I’m backing you, and really, I like the idea of making money off your hard work. I’ve been doing it for years, why change a working formula.” He tells me.

 

“I love how you seem to forget I was the one who got to go home while you sweated away, coming up with campaigns in the middle of the night.” I tell him.

 

“It wasn’t all about the campaigns, I think there were a few nights my twat and I sweated a different way.” He tells me.

 

“I’ll look into the other building while worrying about where you two fucked like bunnies.” I tell him, hanging up.

 

It was always something all of us were amazed by, the two of them were constantly all over each other eleven years later. Blake and I have our share of times like that, but there is only so much sex anyone could have before your body needed the rest. I remember Cynthia one time having to lead clients to the conference room instead of Brian’s office. All she had to say was Brian was in a meeting with Justin, for us to know. I got up and headed to the diner to meet Emmett and Blake for lunch, apparently Michael wanted to take Mommy Taylor out for helping his get his house back from the visitors who wouldn’t leave.

 

“I was thinking about helping the girls decorate.” Deb tells us.

 

“They said they wanted to do it on their own. I offered too, after Michael did the dance of joy in Babylon.” Emmett tells her.

 

“It was the first time I think Michael danced without anyone questioning what music he was listening to.” Blake adds, laughing.

 

“He even managed the praise Jesus, it made me so proud of him.” Emmett told us.

 

“I have to eat on the run, Brian is talking about buying both buildings next to Kinnetik for expansion.” I tell them, as Deb serves us without us ordering.

 

“Why does he want that much space?” Deb asks, sitting down with me.

 

“You might as well tell them. It’s something to be proud of.” Blake tells me.

 

“I made the suggestion to add financial planning as a service Kinnetik offers, and Justin wants to open a talent agency. Brian thinks we need space because he plans to hire an entire accounting department for me to run.” I tell them.

 

“He believes in you, because you delivered whenever he asked anything of you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“I didn’t doubt I could deliver, I just thought we would be transitioning slowly into my idea.” I tell them.

“When has Brian ever done anything slowly?” Deb asks, kissing my head and yelling at the cook to hold his horses.

 

“She’s right you know, with Brian it’s all the way or why bother.” Emmett tells me.

 

I left, calling Mommy Taylor, because Brian didn’t purchase anything his mother-in-law didn’t approve of, it was the one time Brian was superstitious about anything.