- Text Size +

No doubt Brian was uncomfortable in the back of a police car but he refused to show it. It had been many years since he'd been in one. First back when he was fifteen for breaking the local football jock's fingers after he dunked Brian's head in a toilet. That had earned him a severe beating from his father in which three of his ribs were cracked. The second time was when Michael was pissed off because his mom had begun dating Carl Horvath. Michael had been speeding and had bad mouthed the cop. So Brian thought of the irony that he was once again in back of a police car because of Michael Novotny. He still couldn't wrap his head around what possessed Michael to invite Ethan Gold to his house on the most important night of Brian's life; couldn't understand what he'd hoped to accomplish by doing so. Did he really think that Justin would betray him a second time with Ethan of all people or that Brian would believe Justin was? The thing that hurt Brian most was that Michael's actions had put Brian in the position in which he had to choose between his childhood friend and the man he wanted to spend the rest of his life with. Cynthia had warned him several times that Michael was going to do something to make that happen and he didn't want to believe her at the time. He had even forgiven Michael for his insensitivity toward Justin regarding killing off JT and Ben's characters violently in the comic book and then releasing it on the day before the anniversary of the prom in which Justin had almost lost his life twelve years prior. After Justin had a meltdown and they had talked about it, Justin had urged Brian to forgive Michael just as he had last night.


"Forgiveness is not for the other person; it's for you. So that you don't change the person I fell in love with."


Justin's words replayed in Brian's mind. Sitting in the back of the squad car, Brian wondered if Justin still believed that. Brian wasn't sure how he was supposed to forgive Michael this last time especially when there was no way he would ever trust him again. Thirty years of friendship- of brotherhood- had been wiped out by thoughtless acts and drunken words uttered spitefully. Jack, who was rarely lucid, had told Brian during their talk after they had made their peace before he died had told him that most of the time sober words flow out of a drunken mouth and he'd apologized for the ones he'd said to Brian over the years. So if Jack was to be believed, Michael had meant every malicious word he'd spoken toward Justin the previous evening. But of course, Brian knew that he did since he'd heard Michael say it once before. How could he stay friends with someone like that? Even knowing all that Justin had been through, to say that Brian should have left him for dead was unspeakably cruel. It was like he was seeing a side of Michael that he had never suspected existed and in that moment, Brian felt guilty for disregarding Justin's concerns dismissing them as to simple jealousy.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Honesty Hour


 


Arriving at the police station, Brian decided to deal with the situation at hand as candidly as possible. He had nothing to hide nor did he feel unjustified in his actions. Ethan Gold was told numerous times to stay away from Justin primarily by Justin himself. And yes, Brian had been itching to administer a dose of what he felt was justice for a long, long time. He would do it again in a split second if it meant that Ethan Gold had finally gotten the message that Justin Taylor-Kinney was his and only his. He was shown into one of the interrogation rooms. Officer Prince waited with him while Baker went to collect the statement given from the hospital bed of Ethan Gold. He didn't have to wait long.


 


Officer Baker sat opposite of Brian, reading the official statement before he handed it off to Officer Prince and spoke. "Although I am inclined to believe your relatives, Mr. Kinney, I would like to hear your side of the story."


"Where would you like me to begin?" Brian asked shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly.


"Why not start at the beginning? When did you first meet Mr. Gold?"


Brian laughed in remembrance. "I officially met him some fourteen years ago. You see Justin and I were having some... difficulties that I wasn't fully aware of. The company I worked at the time was being taken over so my main focus was divided. My best friend- well as of last night, former best friend, Michael- knew that Justin was feeling neglected. He had been bashed because he was gay by a former classmate and whereas we were together, we still had an open-relationship."


"Is it still open?"


He smiled. "As far as I'm concerned it isn't but that's a question you'll have to ask Justin." Brian folded his lips inward, thinking of what Justin's response would be and the surprise that Brian was actually serious when he said he didn't need or want anyone else anymore. "Anyway, Michael had told me that Justin was seeing someone else but then we were always seeing someone else. We had rules- no names, no numbers exchanged, no fucking a trick more than once, no kissing anyone else on the mouth and we had a curfew. In retrospect, it seems pretty stupid but it was our agreement plus Justin was nineteen and I didn't think it fair to limit his opportunities to explore other men. No one else knew about it so when Michael brought it to me, I disregarded it. I mean Justin wouldn't cheat on me, right? At least that was my thinking. We had committed in our own way even though we weren't locked into anything neither of us couldn't walk away from. So imagine my surprise when I found out firsthand that Justin had broken the rules- two of them to be exact. No kissing and no fucking the guy more than once. Did you know that saliva carries a scent as well as the body? I knew Ethan's although I didn't know whose it was at the time. That came later." Brian paused, lost in his memories for a few moments. "What was funny was that everyone thought it would be me to break them. I was kind of notorious that way but once I gave my word, I stuck to it. I still do. To understand why it happened in the first place, you have to understand who Justin is at his core. He is a romantic at heart always was since the moment I met him. And he wanted me and only me. To him, commitment was monogamy and a host of other societal heterosexual norms and conventions. Well, I did everything I could over the years to disabuse him of the notion but once I did, I wanted romantic, idealistic Justin back. Ethan provided that for him in words what I showed him in actions. He had to learn the difference in his own way and it took me letting him go his own way for a time to do it. Ethan Gold was what I'd termed a necessary evil in our lives. I had to learn not to take Justin for granted and he had to learn the value of actions over words. I never knew what broke them up; Justin wouldn't talk about it but I knew he was bitter about it for a time. I knew he would be back and that was all that mattered to me."


Officer Prince asked, "So when did this new problem surface?"


Brian smiled again. "I'm not sure how much my family told you about the events leading up to yesterday but here it goes in short. Justin was ready to call things off after nearly ten years of being in a long-distance relationship. Very few of our family knew that we were still heavily involved with each other although he was based in New York. At Justin's request, we kept it secret and it worked for a time. The reason Justin moved back to Pennsylvania was originally as a trial and error period. We decided to give what we termed our non-relationship a real try meaning that we would be together without sacrificing all we've worked to build. A few weeks after he'd come back, we were having dinner at Liberty Diner in Pittsburgh. As we were leaving we ran into Ethan and a former associate of Justin's. Ethan took immediate issue with the fact that Justin and I were back together. That's when the harassment started. For some reason, Ethan thought that he and Justin were a much better fit than Justin and I and he began pursuing him, leaving text messages, emails or showing up in places Justin was. Basically stalking him."


 


They were interrupted by another officer advising that Mr. Kinney's attorneys and husband were there. Because of the small space of the interrogation room, Officer Baker ushered Brian into the precinct's conference room. Both Melanie and Myrna asked to see Ethan Gold's statement which Officer Prince handed to them. Meanwhile, Officer Baker silently observed Brian and Justin's interaction based on what he was constantly learning about the couple.


 


"Everything is taken care of at home, Brian," Justin said bringing his and Brian's foreheads together.


"I know, Sunshine. I still wish I was there to oversee everything."


Justin smiled. "Of course you do. You're a certified control freak."


Brian laughed. "You're one to talk."


"I'm spoiled and used to getting my way because I'm a blue-eyed blond with a great ass. That's not the same thing." Justin bit Brian's chin before laughing.


 


Officer Baker smiled in spite of himself. Words he'd heard from the family to describe Justin Taylor-Kinney were: intelligent, determined, adorable even at his age, slightly sardonic and enchanting. He suddenly understood what about the younger man attracted and held a man like Brian Kinney all these years and it had nothing to do with looks. There was a steel spine underneath all that blondness and a rapier wit. Nothing about him screamed victim, quite the opposite in fact. He had overcome much from Mr. Gold's statements about Justin alone.


"This is complete and utter horseshit," Melanie proclaimed causing the whole room to look at her.


"What, Mel?" Justin looked at her with concern.


"Brian, have you read this?" When he shook his head, she proceeded to read a small section from it.


 


The only reason Justin is with Brian is because he's rich and has once again been brainwashed by one Brian Kinney. Throughout their former relationship, Brian cheated on Justin several times. Not only that but he abused him physically, mentally and emotionally. It's clear to me that Justin suffers from Stockholm syndrome which won't allow him to leave Brian Kinney and seek out nor re-establish mine and his loving relationship. I tried to bring it all back to him last night since we met while I was playing that very song; tried to get him to see what a mistake he was making...again. I meant no harm by showing up to the party I was invited to. It's clear that Mr. Kinney is an abusive man and emotionally unstable who should be locked up instead of left loose to prey on unsuspecting people like Justin and myself.'


Then it went on to say that he had sustained several injuries including cracked ribs at Brian's hands and that his ultimate concern was for Justin's safety being left with a violent offender of the law.


 


"What the actual FUCK?! Does he really believe that shit he stated?" Justin was fuming. "I'm ready to give my statement, NOW!"


"Wow. It sounds like someone's been reading Psychology Today. I'll give him points for originality at least. I've been accused of many things but never fostering Stockholm Syndrome." Brian rolled his eyes heavenward before reaching tightening his hold on his still-ranting partner. "Calm down, Sunshine. It's just words," Brian said soothingly.


"Those are NOT just words, Brian. Those are an outright lie and slanderous accusations. I have half a mind to sue the fucker but he doesn't have anything I want. He never did- nothing of substance at any rate."


"Brian's right, Justin," Myrna said. She listened to it in disbelief. She had witnessed plenty of scenes between Brian and Justin and the last thing she would say was that Brian in anyway violent toward Justin. If the latter had a bruise or five on him, she knew it was from rough sex which Justin alluded to more than once.


"First, I have to ask Mr. Taylor, how did you sustain bruises on your wrists. They look fresh."


He looked at them when he took his seat and smiled at his partner. "They are from this morning actually. Brian and I have made no secret that our sex life can get a little more... physical than most are comfortable with."


"Physical as in violent?" Officer Prince asked.


Justin shook his head. "Not in the sense of causing harm. Brian and I have a penchant for Bdsm which we indulge on occasion. If you look at his wrists you'll see similar evidence of it. He doesn't do anything I don't explicitly ask for or don't like. I have a safe word which he respects as does he. If we tend to get a bit rough, that's ourbusiness." Justin narrowed his eyes driving his point home.


"How did you and Ethan Gold meet?"


"I went to a recital at the Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts which I attended as an Art student at the time. Because my then boyfriend- now husband, Brian, didn't believe in celebrating birthdays, Melanie and her then-partner, Lindsey took me as a gift. It was never my intention to become anything more to Ethan."


"When did that happen?"


"First let me say that Ethan was the biggest mistake of my life that should never have been. I had been bashed by a classmate the night of my prom and although, with Brian's help and support, I had made huge strides in getting my mobility back, it wasn't one-hundred percent and neither were the other things that made me who I am or was. You have to understand what it was like to be the Boy toy- or in my case the notorious Twink- belonging to Stud of Liberty Avenue. Brian was everything."


"Was?" Brian asked incredulously.


Justin laughed. "You still are, Stud. Anyway, being by his side was what everyone wanted- still is, in fact- and I was. So my position was enviable to say the least. Every trick he'd had from the time he and I became a hot topic had always somehow taken it into their heads that they could replace me. They became especially vicious after the incident. There were snide comments thrown at me, not only by them but by Brian's best friend and my self-esteem suffered tremendously. I wasn't perfect anymore and to me, I needed the reassurance that I was still valuable in the only eyes that ever mattered to me. But I couldn't ask for it- my pride wouldn't allow that. Although Brian showed me he loved me everyday, I needed to hear it and that was something Brian couldn't do at the time. So then I became unsure of him; the constant parade of tricks and the demands of his job didn't help any. I didn't feel like I was enough or could ever be enough for him anymore. So along comes Ethan who was as adept at turning a beautiful phrase as he was at playing his instrument. He told me all the things that I needed to hear from my partner and because I was stupid and feeling desperate for some sort of validation, I believed him. The fucked up thing is that I had all I could have wanted- all I actually wanted- but I was too blinded by my own foolishness and insecurities to see it. The night the affair began, I had asked Brian to stay home with me. Ben, Michael's husband, was in the hospital although I didn't know it at the time and Brian was in a sensitive way because Ben was on critical. Long story short, Brian went to Babylon; I went to Ethan's. At first it was just to find some comfort through a romantic song and strictly as a friend. I didn't have the intention of fucking him. Somewhere during those moments, the loneliness began to crush me and I just needed to feel something... beautiful, desired maybe- I don't know. Just something. And so began my folly. After Brian found out, I had ended the affair. My choice was always Brian but then the love of my life did something stupid and I left the Rage party with Ethan. I stayed with Ethan for about nine months but the morning after I had gone to get my things from Brian's loft, I knew I had made a mistake. I felt it and suppressed it ruthlessly; admitting it was out of the question then. Consequently, I still would have stayed and tried to make the best out of my very wrong situation with Ethan had he not lied and cheated on me."


Officer Baker was confused. "How was what Mr. Kinney did any different than Mr. Gold's infidelity?"


"The difference was that Brian never promised me anything, not even monogamy. It's not cheating if your partner knows about it. Ethan on the other hand promised that he wouldn't sleep with anyone else or lie and he did both. Brian may have his faults and they are plenty- "


"Hey watch it, Asshole," Brian defended himself causing those assembled to chuckle.


"But one thing he has never been is a liar," Justin finished, squeezing Brian's hand. "I could trust him with everything I have and know that he won't abuse it. As far as me having ‘Stockholm Syndrome,' no fucking way. Brian isn't abusive. In fact, he would rather leave me, which he has done or tried to do, than harm me. That's just his way. The first year and a half I was in New York, Brian and I had maybe ten conversations because I wanted to come home and he felt that I needed to be where I was. After awhile he stopped answering my calls and emails; missed my first exhibit which is something he would never have done without good reason but he did because he felt I needed to concentrate on what my purpose there was. Emmett, my mom and my best friend, Daphne, told me that he checked on me frequently but that was years later. There were two other relationships which didn't last because I knew where and to whom I belonged. So if anything, Brian pushed me to become the man I am today. I don't feel debt or gratitude toward him but I do feel love. Always have and it hasn't changed since that first night. Nothing, not Ethan Gold or anyone else can replace that nor stop it- not even Brian himself."


Office Baker said, "As I've told your husband, Mr. Taylor-Kinney, I was inclined to believe your family's account of the previous evening's events. Hearing yours and Mr. Kinney's account gives both Officer Prince and I a more accurate insight into the relationship that you both have. But one question that has been bugging me and it doesn't have anything to do with this investigation per se. Why the hell did it take you two so long to get your shit together?"


Both Brian and Justin laughed but it was Justin who answered. "Pride and stupidity in equal measure on my part. It never mattered to Brian what I wanted to do with my life and career or how much I had or not so long as I was happy and safe. But he knew that it was important to me to be on equal footing with him financially and so he gave me the room I needed to become the man I am now."


"And are you on equal footing now?" he was genuinely curious. It was amazing enough that the relationship seemed healthy and calm despite their noted misadventures and twelve year age difference. They seemed well-suited.


"Not completely, no but I'm close enough that if it ever came down to me having to choose between Brian and my career, I can safely make the choice I've always wanted. It was important to Brian for me to have options and I worked my ass off so that I could. I don't regret any of it, even the harder times because they shaped Brian and I in ways that would have broken other people."


"If you have time later, you both can stop by later and speak to some of our guests as a follow-up if you need to," Brian said. "As you can see, we have nothing to hide and it will be an accurate depiction of the way we choose to live our lives. The choice is yours."


"We may just do that Mr. Kinney but we need to get to the hospital to speak with Mr. Gold again."


"Are we free to go then?" Justin asked.


"Yes but although I know you both have business interests which will keep you relatively close, I do have to advise you not to travel outside of the state until we have this resolved."


"That may be a problem for me since the core of my business is based in New York and I have a few other projects going but I will leave all of my contact information for the file as well as try to rearrange my schedule if necessary."


"That's all we can ask Mr. Taylor-Kinney."


 


As they prepared to depart the station both Brian and Justin's cell phones chimed. Melanie knew instantly who was ringing Brian's phone and couldn't help the chuckle which escaped her at the pained expressions on both Brian and Justin's faces. Yeah they have definitely been around each other too long.


"You may as well answer it now and get it over with, Brian," Justin said.


"You know every time you tell me that, I regret doing so."


"What happened to having no regrets? Besides it's not like you can turn your cell phone off today so it's either answer the damn phone or suffer the consequences of hearing it play ‘I Will Survive' until you do. Your choice," Justin finished sweetly while putting his head down to look at the messages from his own pain in the ass.


 


New Message: Ethan.


By now Kinney should have been arrested for assault and battery. I'm all alone in this hospital room. Why don't you come and keep me company? I'll be waiting. Love You, Justin. You're my muse always.


New Message: Ethan


Why haven't you answered me? Don't tell me you're sitting there pining over Brian! Ditch that BITCH! Come on Justin; we were always good together. With your business and my career back on track we could really have an amazing life. Why would you settle for a player who will fuck anyone and anything. Look I'm sorry for the way things went down between us. I just needed to fuck someone and since fucking you was out of the question, you can't fault me for needing to pound an ass since you never let me into yours. Come on, let Brian reap what he's sown and come back to me...the only man who will ever love you the way you want- the way you need to be loved. I'll be waiting.


 


"You should show your phone to the officers along with the others. It may save me from having to defend my virtue in prison," Brian said.


"You're not going to prison, Idiot," Justin said before lowering his voice. "Besides I have my own plans for your ass. Any guy named Big Bubba will just have to wait his turn."


Brian laughed. He couldn't help it. "In that case you really should show those and the other messages to them. Take Mel and Myrna with you."


Justin nodded in agreement. "Are you going to call Michael back now?"


Brian sighed deeply. "Yeah, I think I better before we get back to the house. The last thing we want there today is another scene."


"Just remember what I said Brian."


"You are unbelievable, Justin. I mean for fuck's sake we are standing in the middle of a police station because of him yet you want me to forgive him? How can you ask me to do that?"


"I believe I already explained my reasons, Brian. I don't give a fuck about Michael but I love you. I don't want this eating and chipping away at you. Somehow you forget that I know you just as well as you know me. And the guilt you feel about all of it, get over that shit real quick. None of this was your fault. If anyone is to blame it is me for giving Michael the ammunition to do this through a mistake I made long ago."


"It's not your fault, Justin. I should have listened in the first place."


"We can stand here playing the blame game all we'd like but the fact still remains that you need to speak with him and I need to go talk to the cops." Justin brought his hand up to caress the side of Brian's face. "Call him back or better yet, answer your phone when he calls back. Say what needs to be said and then be finished with it, Brian. Move on. Deal?"


Brian grabbed him around the waist, bring in Justin up on his toes to bury his nose briefly in his partner's neck. "Okay, Justin. You've made your point."


"Good," Justin said as he pulled back to look in the hazel eyes he loved so much. "Let's take care of this and then we get to go home to celebrate with the people we love and who love us. Then we can have a proper wedding night."


"Last night wasn't half bad," Brian teased, enjoying the sudden blush on Justin's cheeks.


"Last night was damned good but I seem to remember a promise you made a little while ago."


"Well then you'd better hurry up so we can get this day over with." Brian pressed his lips to Justin's, allowing them cling at the end of the kiss. There was no question Brian was the Master of Suggestion, evident by the semi-dazed look in his partner's eyes. "I'll be outside."


 


Justin nodded and moved off from him. Myrna and Mel had patiently waited for him and Brian to have their talk about these two problems. Between the people trying to break them up and the people trying to crumble the Taylor-Kinney Empire, Brian was just about at the end of his patience. It was bad enough that people were trying to destroy them just for being successful, rich and queer but when it was someone who he knew and trusted- who he considered a brother and best friend- it made the situation much, much worse.