After The Fall by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Some things from the New York trip extend into the fall in Pittsburgh.

Story #32 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 42599 Read: 26259 Published: May 11, 2017 Updated: May 11, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



After the Fall

Chapter 1





“Hey baby cakes! Ya miss me?” a familiar voice asked.

Gus jumped up from the bench when he realized it was Cole standing in front of him wearing a wide grin. Gus grabbed the shorter boy, swung him around, leaning him against the arbor. With a ferocity worthy of the Brian Kinney, Gus kissed Cole hard. The boys, taken over by their hormones began to rut up against each other.

“I guess you did,” Cole managed to say when Gus let him come up for air. “We gotta find some place,” Cole whispered.

“I know a place,” Gus said with confidence. Gus shoved his dad’s camera in his messenger bag, grabbed Cole’s hand then took off running down the street.



*****



“Isn’t that Gus?” Danny asked Joan as Cole and Gus sprinted past the Book Store. Before Joan could step up to the window, the boys had vanished.

“I don’t know, maybe,” Joan commented then went back to sorting out their latest shipment of books. She filed away the episode to ask Brian about it later.



*****



“Hey, Johnny-Boy, is that Brian or your nephew?” Gordon asked John. He pointed to Gus as the boys ran by. They were sitting at a table at the Village diner having coffee before calling it a day. The opening of Drew’s sports boutique was a hit and the partners in business were relaxing before heading home.

“Can’t be Brian, I saw him drive off back to Kinnetik, must be Gus,” John said.

“They look like they’re in an awful hurry,” Gordon said as he sipped his coffee.

“Hmm,” John grunted then made a mental note to speak with Brian later.



*****



With Gus leading, the boys ran onto Liberty Avenue but took a couple of side streets to get past the Bloom Gallery to avoid Lindsay and then back onto Liberty. They ducked into the alley which led to the main door of Babylon. The alley was quiet and relatively dark even in the light of the summer afternoon. Gus pushed Cole back against a wall to kiss and grope. While they were preoccupied trying to examine each other’s tonsils with their tongues, they didn't notice they were being observed.



*****



“If that’s Brian, he’s going to be in big trouble when Justin finds out,” Carl said to Ted as the two of them stopped at the steps that led into the club. Ted and Carl had gone to Drew’s launch and then to the club to review the books and to have a staff meeting.

“That’s not Brian,” Ted stated as he squinted to get a better look. “But the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree,” he quipped. Carl nodded as they entered the club.

The boys stepped out from the shadows to continue their journey.



*****



“Whoa!” Ben called out as he was nearly run down by Gus and Cole in front of the Comic Book store. “Slow down!” Ben yelled as the boys kept on running.

“Sorry, Uncle Ben!” Gus shouted as he did a 360 but kept on running. Cole was laughing and both boys were smiling broadly.

“Be careful,” Ben shouted to their backs. Gus waved as he ran.



*****



“You hungry?” Gus asked Cole, as Gus slowed when they approached the Liberty diner.

“Yeah, but not for food,” Cole purred. He kissed Gus in full view of the diner then they took off again in full run with Gus leading the way.

“Who the fuck was that?!” Debbie screeched to no one in particular. Lacy looked up just in time to see the boys run by.

“Must be new around here,” Lacy said casually.

“He can’t be that new; he certainly knew Gus. I wonder if Brian knows,” Debbie mumbled then they both went back to their customers.



*****



“Where are we?” Cole asked as the boys stopped on the corner of Fuller and Tremont.

“Some place where we can be alone and comfortable,” Gus said with a slight tremble of nervousness in his voice. He had a set of keys to his dad’s loft. After Brian’s little health scare just before Christmas and the dressing down Gus had given him, Brian thought it only right Gus should have a set of keys to the Tremont building and loft just in case there was ever an emergency. ‘This is an emergency, sort of,’ Gus thought to himself. ‘A real hard emergency,’ Gus thought as he adjusted himself when they got onto the elevator.

“Holy shit!” Cole exclaimed when Gus slid back the loft door. “Is this yours?” Cole started to look around. The loft was a little barren with just the bare minimum of appliances and decoration but that only enhanced the slick, lean elegance of the place.

“Sort of,” Gus fibbed. “It’s really my Pop’s but he lets me use it sometimes.”

Cole could tell that Gus was lying but he didn’t give a shit. It all fell into Cole's plans of getting whatever he could from the Kinney men.

“Let’s go to bed,” Cole murmured as he moved close to Gus. Gus started to walk them toward the bedroom but then couldn’t do it.

“I’ve got something better,” Gus said as he took Cole to the alcove and to the futon cushions. As they began kissing and rolling around on the cushions, Cole suddenly stopped. “What’s wrong?” Gus asked, panting hard.

“I’m not fucking under that!” Cole scowled.

“Under what?” Gus had no idea what Cole was talking about.

“That!” Cole growled then turned Gus’ face toward the painting of Bree running in the Coney Island surf. Gus sighed then stood up. He reached out his hand to Cole to help him up. Then he took a corner of the cushion and dragged it out toward the dining area.

“Better?” Gus said with hands on his hips.

“Much,” Cole stated as he walked over then dropped onto the cushion. “Come here,” Cole said seductively, holding out a hand to Gus. Gus laid down next to him then Cole rolled over to lay on top of Gus. “Much better,” Cole purred once again as the boys began to rub against each other, losing clothing along the way.

“Wanna go all the way?” Cole asked as he nipped at Gus’ ear. Gus wanted to say yes, but he wasn’t ready just yet.

“Not yet,” Gus said honestly getting a slight frown from Cole. “Soon, maybe, but not now.”

“Okay, baby cakes, but you better do one hell of a job sucking me off,” Cole demanded.

Gus did just that given the sweet satisfied noises Cole made. When Cole recovered, he reciprocated in kind.

As Gus slept, Cole had a good look around the loft.

He wandered up the steps into the bedroom. The huge platform bed dominated the whole area. Cole could just imagine Brian Kinney in that bed, lying there looking beautiful. Better yet, he could picture Kinney fucking … him. Cole gave his head a shake to remove that tempting image, but he couldn’t help the feral grin that came to his lips.

He walked over to the bathroom and peered in. The huge shower would be perfect for fucking too. Cole’s cousin, Lex, had told him some stories about the legendary Stud of Liberty Avenue. Lex was a little older than Cole and had arrived on the scene at Babylon some time after the end of Kinney’s stint as the gay stud of Pittsburgh. However, the stories about Kinney had still been rampant. Kinney had been with his blond twink for a few years by that time, but the two appeared at Babylon every now and then and the stories continued. Kinney’s backroom prowess was supposed to have been legendary. Cole would have enjoyed witnessing that.

Glancing around the bathroom, Cole realized that everything in the loft was quality. Obviously, Gus’ father liked the finer things in life, just as Cole would enjoy them when all of this would be his. He still hadn’t worked out how he was going to get everything he desired, but he was prepared to start small. He could totally imagine himself living in a loft like this and fucking everything that moved.

He came out of the bathroom, looking down at Gus to make sure he was still asleep. Satisfied that the boy was sleeping soundly on the futon, Cole decided to look for some money or something that he might be able to hawk. He pulled open the nightstand beside the bed. He grinned when he noted the stash of condoms and lube. Old man Kinney must still be pretty active. Somehow Cole had known he would be. He rifled around and pulled out a signet ring. It didn’t look overly valuable, but he might be able to get a few bucks for it. Hidden away in the back of the drawer, he doubted that it would be missed for some time.

Cole closed the drawer and left it as he had found it. He approached the narrow black chest that stood on the other side of the bed. He opened the top drawer. He found a roll of bills lying right on top. His heart rate quickened as he pulled them out. There had to be at least a few hundred dollars. He peeled off a few bills and stuffed them in his pocket. That would tide him over for a few days, but not make it obvious that any of the money was missing.

As he was about to replace the roll of money, he noticed a small black box in the back of the drawer. He pulled it out and opened it. It was empty except for what looked like dried bits of tobacco. He sniffed wondering if it might have been pot. His nose told him that it probably was, but there wasn’t enough there to do anything with and the pungent scent was negligible. The older Kinney had certainly enjoyed his drugs back in his stud days, if Lex had told him the truth about Kinney’s reputation. However, Kinney was a family man now, and this tiny bit of pot was really old. Cole replaced the box in the drawer.

He was about to check out the other dresser when he heard a sound from down below. He deked back into the bathroom and flushed the toilet. When he emerged, Gus was sitting up on the futon smiling up at him.

“Where did you go?” Gus asked with a yawn.

“Nature called,” Cole replied, chuckling to himself at all the meanings that simple statement could have.

“I missed you.”

“Ready for another round?”

Gus glanced at his watch. “Shit! I better get home or my mother will chew me a new one.”

“I could wait for you here,” Cole said taking a better look at the rest of the loft. He liked what he saw.

“Um … I thought you were staying with your cousin.”

“I am, but I could get used to this place.”

“I … I never know when my Pop or Justin will decide to stay here. I need to lock up,” Gus said hastily as he pulled on his clothes and shoes.

Cole shrugged. “Is there anything to eat?”

“Um … probably not.”

Cole walked to the refrigerator and pulled open the door. The interior was very bare. “Got any money?” he asked.

“Yeah, a few bucks,” Gus admitted as he pulled the futon back into position in the alcove.

“I used all my money getting here,” Cole stated. “I could use a few bucks for dinner.”

Gus sighed. This seemed to be a familiar theme where Cole was concerned. Gus pulled his wallet out of his pocket. “I got about eighteen dollars,” Gus said as he flipped through the bills. “But I need to take the bus home.”

“Give me fifteen. The rest should get you home,” Cole informed his young lover.

Gus was reluctant to give Cole almost all his money, but the guy had come all the way to Pittsburgh just to be with him. He pulled fifteen dollars out of his wallet and handed it to Cole.

“Thanks, this will come in real handy.”

“Are you going to look for a job?” Gus asked. “Or do you have to go back right away?”

Cole debated how to answer that question. He wanted Gus to think he was there for a while, and that he had made great sacrifices to come see him. “I’ll probably start looking for a job. I’ll have to earn enough to get back to New York … eventually. I had to quit my job to come see you.” Cole waited for Gus’ reaction to that statement.

“You quit your job? To see me?” Gus’ face was full of wonder that Cole had done that for him.

Cole enjoyed the reaction. “Yeah, it wasn’t much of a job anyway.” At least that part was sure fucking true.

“I can’t believe you did that … for me?”

“I really wanted to see you, baby cakes.”

“I’m so glad you’re here,” Gus said walking over to Cole and hugging him warmly. “I was miserable without you.”

“That’s what I like to hear,” Cole smirked. “You’re sure I can’t stay here? It’s a great place.”

“It’s too risky,” Gus countered. “Besides, you’re staying with your cousin.”

“Yeah, but he has this dinky little shit place. I have to sleep on the floor.”

“I’m sorry you have to do all these things to be with me … but I’m so happy to see you,” Gus gushed.

Cole pulled Gus in closer and kissed him … hard. “Can you feel how much I want you?” Cole asked as he pressed his dick into Gus.

“Yeah,” Gus said breathlessly. “But I really have to go.”

“Sure, baby cakes. What about tomorrow?”

“I … I’ll call you,” Gus promised as he headed to the loft door.

“Maybe we could test out that bed tomorrow,” Cole suggested looking back into the bedroom.

“Um … that’s my Pop’s and Justin’s bed. I’d feel really funny doing … stuff in there,” Gus admitted.

“That’s okay then,” Cole said quickly. “The futon was fine.”

“Better than fine,” Gus said with a smiled as he locked the loft door. The two ran down the stairs.



*****



“Dr. Raph?”

“Yes, Curtis,” Raph replied. He was sitting at his desk in the clinic writing up the papers on Mrs. Rotondo’s very obese dog. The poor animal had kidney stones, but there seemed no limit to the amount of money that Mrs. Rotondo was prepared to spend on her dog. They would be zapping the stones with a laser later that night.

“You remember when we went to the park?” Curtis asked.

“Sure, I enjoyed that day. I hope you did too,” Raph said as he finished what he was writing and set down the file. He was ready to give Curtis his undivided attention.

“Do you think we could do that again sometime?”

“I don’t see why not,” Raph said with a smile.

“Like maybe this weekend?”

“I think that could be arranged. It’s supposed to be hotter than Hades.”

”Hades?”

“You know … the underworld … Hell.”

“Yeah,” Curtis giggled. “I just never heard anybody say it like that before.”

“I use that expression every once in a while.”

“I like your expressions,” Curtis said with a smile. He continued to stand in the doorway, showing no signs of heading off to water the animals or go play with Matty.

“Is there something else?” Raph asked.

“I … um … I…”

“Curtis you know that you can tell me anything,” Raph said gently.

“I know,” Curtis replied. “I … um … When we went to the park last time you said youmightteachmehowtoswim,” Curtis mumbled.

“You want to learn how to swim?” Raph’s eyes had lit up. He’d like nothing better than to teach Curtis.

“Yeah, if you wouldn’t mind.”

“I wouldn’t mind at all,” Raph told him.

Curtis smiled. “You mean it?”

“I most definitely do mean it. I will be happy to instruct you in the fine arts of the water.”

Curtis frowned. “Is … is it hard?”

“Hard?”

“Hard to learn.”

“No, not really. I think you’ll do just fine.”

“I hope so,” Curtis said uncertainly.

“I know so.”

Raph smiled to himself as Curtis left the room. Maybe the boy was finally learning to trust him. He’d have to make sure that the swimming was a positive experience for the boy.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

After the Fall

Chapter 2





“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett swished himself back into Kinnetik just as most of the employees were packing up to go home.

“Oh for fuck’s sake!” Brian griped. “Twice in one day? What did I do to deserve this?” Emmett was not put off by Brian’s supposed angry display. He knew that Kinnetik did a kick ass job on the promotions for the Village project and that Brian refused to take any money for the job.

“We’re having a little celebration at the restaurant and I wanted to make sure you and Justin will be there. Drew’s store was the last to open. All the shopkeepers are going to be there as well as John and some of Hunter’s kids.”

“I didn’t think the restaurant was big enough.”

“We have a garden patio similar to the bistro, only bigger. We’ll make do. So will you come?” Emmett got the eyebrow for his double entendre. “You know what I mean. It would mean a lot to me and Drew if you were there. I know you had a hand in securing the project.”

Brian was awestruck by Emmett’s sincerity. Even though the Village project was John’s baby, the city planners and the mayor’s office had wanted Brian’s ‘input’ and the financial backing that went with it. Brian nodded.

“And will your better half be in attendance?” Emmett asked with a gleam in his eyes. Brian rolled his.

“My better half, as you so aptly put it, spent most of his day at the gallery. Sidney is pushing Justin for more paintings for his new show. I think I can pry him away for a drink or two. You serving dinner at this shindig?”

“Of course. A simple buffet. And before you ask, there will be plenty of your favorite hors d’oeuvres.”

“I have no idea to what you could be referring,” Brian said nonchalantly.

Emmett snorted. “Be that as it may, there will be plenty of delectable morsels for you to partake in.”

“We’ll be there. Bobby should be driving in too. Rachel volunteered to keep the princess and Little Red for the night. We’ll stay at the loft tonight if your soiree runs late.”

“Sounds good to me. Well I must be going. No rest for the weary or event planners,” Emmett stated as he swished himself out of Brian’s office.

“Or big old fairies,” Brian mumbled to himself.

“I heard that!” Emmett shouted back, making Brian bark out a laugh. Brian shut down his computer and prepared to leave Kinnetik for the night.



*****



“Hey Sunshine, you ready to blow this popsicle stand?” Brian asked as he strode into the Bloom Gallery. Justin, Lindsay and Sidney appeared to be having a heated discussion regarding Justin’s new show. Justin rushed to Brian’s side and gave him a kiss.

“I’ve been ready to leave for over an hour,” Justin sighed. He looked tired and exasperated.

“What’s going on?” Brian asked softly as he bussed Justin’s temple.

“Oh, Sidney has a bug up his ass about the show. He wants this huge party and to invite every art critic he can think of. I’d like to keep it low key but I think I’m being overruled.” They glanced over to where Sidney and Lindsay were still talking about the show. Lindsay had a clipboard in her hand, jotting down notes as Sidney talked on and on.

“Sunshine, I suggest we ‘git’ while the ‘gittin’ is good.”

Justin nodded and retrieved his bag from Sidney’s office. They said goodnight then left for the Village.

“Brian, do you think I’m being foolish for wanting a smaller, more intimate opening night?” Justin asked as Brian drove them to the site.

“Foolish, no, more naive than anything else,” Brian said honestly. He knew that Justin was still uncomfortable with the fanfare. However, Brian also knew the fanfare was a necessary part of keeping Justin in the public eye.

“Why do you say that?” Justin asked innocently but with a frown.

“Jus, I’m an adman. I know the value of the right publicity and the importance of keeping the right people in your corner. By making yourself available to the critics, you prove yourself honest. Whether they love you or hate you, they have to admit that you’re honest. Your style runs the gamut from the sublime to outrageous and activist. You have mass appeal because of it; all your fans can relate to some facet of your art. But that doesn’t mean the critics like your work. Didn’t you notice how most of the older more established critics raved about your “Old Masters” show, while the younger critics love your Rage pieces and your darker abstract work? Everyone sees what they want to see.”

“So you’re telling me that I should let Sidney have his way.”

“No, I’m suggesting you allow Sidney to do his job of representing you and promoting your work while you do your job like you always do.”

“And what job is that?”

“Painting from your heart. No one can tell you what to paint or how to paint it because it all comes directly from your heart.”

Justin gave Brian his sunniest, brightest smile. When Brian pulled over to park, Justin slid closer to grab Brian before Brian left the Jeep.

“I love you so much,” Justin whispered then kissed Brian silly.

“I know,” Brian snarked, when Justin allowed him to breathe again. The lovers got out of the Jeep to join their friends and family at the party.



*****



Cole and Lex were sitting in the small living room of Lex’s apartment. Cole’s cousin worked at the Big Q in the warehouse and stocking the shelves. With his pay, he just about afforded the rent on his one bedroom apartment. With the money Cole ‘found’ at the loft, they bought a couple of six packs and two large buckets of fried chicken.

“So the money was just lying around?” Lex asked with a loud burp.

“Nah, I found it in a drawer. But it was right inside the drawer, not hidden or anything. Stupid fuck, has all this shit just laying around. I’m surprised no one robs the place.”

“Too risky,” Lex mumbled around a chicken leg.

“What’d ya mean?”

“I mean that Kinney owns the building and only rents to people he knows. He has a state of the art alarm system and everyone on Liberty keeps an eye on the place.”

“Who the fuck is this guy?” Cole belched louder, chugged a bottle, then farted. The cousins laughed like maniacal hyenas.

“All I know is that he’s some fucking king around here. He owns an advertising agency and half of Liberty Avenue, including Babylon. When he was younger he fucked anyone with a dick. He sabotaged some politician and stopped him from being elected mayor and they say he’s Rage.”

“Rage? That homo comic book hero? Was he involved with the movie?”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure how. The blond guy Kinney lives with is some sort of famous artist. He’s the one who really did the movie.”

“Huh. The bottom line is that Kinney’s little boy, Gussie, is one fucking rich little shit. And if I play my cards right, I can be one fucking rich little boy too,” Cole said with a sinister smile.

“Hey, you better include me in that rich kid stuff.”

“Of course, cuz. Mi gravy train, su gravy train.” The cousins toasted with more beer and chicken then tried to out-belch and out-fart each other for the rest of the night.



*****



Brian and Justin sauntered into Emmett’s Place Too. A lot of the people in attendance at the celebration stopped talking and turned to look at the striking couple. Brian continued in his stride, taking the adulation as part of being Brian fucking Kinney. Justin smiled as he watched Brian soak it all up. He knew he would never be as at ease with this kind of thing as Brian was.

“So glad you two could make it,” Emmett said with his toothy grin, as he rushed over to them with a tray of champagne glasses.

“What’s a party without us?” Brian asked with his tongue in cheek. Justin elbowed him gently in the ribs.

“Have a glass of champagne,” Emmett said extending the tray with several glasses on it.

“Is it some of that cheap shit they usually serve at these affairs?” Brian snarked.

“It’s not Cristal,” Emmett replied haughtily, “but it passes my taste test.”

Brian took a sip. “Not bad,” was his response. Emmett smiled at Brian’s approval for his choice.

“There’s your mother, Brian,” Justin said indicating Joan who was standing with Danny.

“I guess we should speak to her then,” Brian replied as they started in that direction.

“Brian…?” Justin asked, surprised by that comment.

“Force of habit,” Brian said quickly. “I still can’t believe that we took her to New York, and she was … wonderful through the whole thing.”

Justin squeezed Brian’s arm in recognition of what that statement meant for Brian. “Let’s go say hello.”

“Mother,” Brian said as he came up beside Joan. He kissed her cheek, winning a happy smile from the older lady. Brian smiled at Danny.

“Brian,” Joan said formally. “How’s my darling Briana?”

“I guess I know where I stand in the pecking order of important people,” Brian laughed.

“You’re very high up,” Joan said sweetly, making Brian blush just a bit. “But we all know that Princess Briana is top of the heap.”

Brian nodded and Justin giggled. “Miss Briana is just peachy,” Brian added.

“And how are you both?”

“Great,” Justin contributed.

“Gus?” Joan asked with a slight look of worry on her face.

“I think it’s good that we came home when we did,” Brian said carefully. “He’s been moping around though ever since we got back.”

“He misses that boy,” Joan stated. She looked knowingly at Danny.

“I saw Gus run by the shop earlier today,” Danny informed Brian. “He was with some lad.”

“Oh, who?” Brian asked with a frown.

“Danny didn’t know and I didn’t see who it was,” Joan contributed.

“That’s strange,” Brian said, a grain of worry developing in his head.

“Anyway,” Justin said, changing the topic. “Everything’s looking great in the Village. How’s business?”

“Good so far,” Danny replied. “And Joan has been a godsend. Her computer skills have improved so much since her trip to New York.”

Joan laughed. “I’m still not very good, but Gus helped me a lot.”

Brian smiled. He liked to hear good things about his son, not about him running around with some unknown male. He hoped Gus was being careful whatever he was doing.

“Hey, Brian, Justin,” Michael said as he and Ben approached them.

“Hey, Mikey, professor,” Brian replied. Justin nodded at the two men.

“The Village looks great,” Ben said.

“Yeah, my brother will be thrilled that it’s going so well. Is John here?”

“I saw John and Bobby a while ago. Maybe they’re out on the patio,” Ben said.

“We haven’t got that far yet,” Justin noted with a grin.

“I saw Gus today,” Ben told Brian. “He and some kid I didn’t know almost ran me down in the street.”

“They did?” Brian asked, his frown deepening. What the fuck was Gus up to?

“Yeah, they were in a big hurry. I don’t know where they were going.”

“Where was this?”

“Near Michael’s store.”

“Did they go into the store?”

“No, they ran down the street in the direction of your loft.”

“I wonder what they were doing,” Brian mused.

“Hi, sweetheart,” Debbie said as she grabbed her son in a hug and kissed his face leaving the imprint of her lipstick. She tried to rub it off, while Michael endured her usual ministrations. “This Village is just wonderful. I’ll have to shop here all the time.”

“The shopkeeps will be thrilled,” Brian snarked.

“Your brother did a great job,” Carl said. “I think this may start a new trend in city revitalization. I can’t think of anything better.”

“John had a real vision for this area,” Justin contributed. “He’s carried it out in a great way.”

“Yeah,” Debbie agreed. “Oh Brian, I wanted to tell you that I saw Gus with some guy I’ve never seen before. They were kissing outside the diner. What the fuck happened to Gus in New York?”

Brian felt his blood pressure rise. What the fuck had happened to his son with this Cole character? He couldn’t believe Gus would be kissing some stranger in the middle of the street. That wasn’t like his son at all. “What did this guy look like?” Brian asked with a big frown.

“He wasn’t as tall as Gus and he had kind of auburn hair,” Debbie said. “That’s all I saw.”

Brian found that description too much like Cole Adams to suit the way he wanted his world to unfold. Cole was supposed to be in New York. He was supposed to stay there and that was the end of it.

“That sounds like the guy I saw Gus with too,” Carl added.

“You saw Gus with someone too?” Brian asked. “Were they kissing?”

“They were examining each other’s tonsils, and doing a fair bit of groping,” Carl informed his boss. “Ted saw them too. We were going into Babylon.”

“Shit!” Brian responded. This didn’t sound like his son. “I’ll have to talk to the boy.”

“Maybe you should,” Carl said remembering that things had seemed rather hot and heavy between Gus and the other guy.

“Aw, he’s young and he’s growing up. Let him be,” Debbie said cheerfully. “Come on, honey, I need some of that champagne and some of those blue cheese and pear thingies.”

Carl and Debbie walked away. Brian stared after them wondering what was going on with Gus. Could Cole Adams have followed his son from New York? He sure as fuck hoped not.

“Brian, Brian,” Justin was saying.

“What?” Brian asked as he realized he was being spoken to.

“Gus is fine. Stop worrying until you find out exactly what’s going on.”

“I intend to find that out as soon as I can,” Brian stated emphatically.

“Can we just enjoy the party first? You can deal with Gus later.”

“Yeah, I guess we better.”

“Let’s get you a blue cheese and pear thingie,” Justin giggled. “That will make you feel ever so much better.”

Brian let himself be led over to the buffet table.

Some time later Justin and Brian made their way out to the patio. They found John and Bobby talking to Gordon and his wife, Betsie.

“Hey, little bro’,” John greeted his brother. “What do you think of the Village?”

“It’s not bad,” Brian responded, his tongue clearly in his cheek.

“It’s absolutely wonderful,” Justin corrected his husband. “You both did a great job on everything. The Village has its own character. I think it’s great.”

“Thanks, Justin,” John replied, pleased by Justin’s words.

“See, I told you everybody loved it,” Bobby said giving John a kiss on the cheek. Brian nodded his approval.

“This get together has been really good for the spirit of the community too,” Gordon added.

“I’m happy to meet all the other shop owners,” Betsie said. “I’ve visited their businesses to introduce myself, but it’s nice to meet them all more informally.”

“I really hope the feeling of community is going to grow,” John said.

“I believe it will,” Betsie said sincerely.

“My kids had a fine education from you guys,” Hunter stated as he and Nick joined them. “Several of them have gotten jobs in the trades. It was great experience for them.”

“That’s good to hear,” John replied with a big smile.

“This whole idea has been wonderful, John,” Nick told Brian’s brother. “You and Gordon did a beautiful thing.”

John and Gordon looked at each other and smiled broadly. That was exactly the reaction they had been hoping for.

John looked over at his brother who seemed rather distracted. He took Brian by the arm and led him over to a quiet corner. “What’s going on, Brian. You look like you’re someplace else.”

“I’ve been hearing some things about Gus that disturb me.”

“Like what?”

“Like he’s been kissing and groping some guy all over Liberty Avenue.”

“I saw Gus with some guy when he was here in the Village.”

“You and everybody else,” Brian sighed.

“Do you know who this guy is?”

“No, but it sounds like this kid named Cole Adams that Gus met in New York. I didn’t care for the little fucker.”

“I gathered that,” John said quietly. “Maybe you need to have a talk with Gus.”

“I thought I already had.”

“Maybe you need to have another one,” John suggested gently.

“Apparently so,” Brian sighed.


Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 3





It was well after midnight when the Kinney brothers and their spouses made it back to the loft. The party cemented the feeling of community amongst the Village shopkeepers and the principal investors came away knowing their investments were well placed. There was even talk of forming a Village shopkeeper association.

“Justin, were you here earlier?” Brian asked as he came to the bedroom steps. Even though it had been some time since Brian had stayed at the loft, he sensed something was not right.

“No, I was at the gallery all day,” Justin answered. He looked at Brian with a puzzled gaze.

“John, when was the last time you slept over?”

“Must have been a couple of weeks ago,” John said with a shrug.

“Bri, what’s wrong?” Justin asked as he approached his spouse.

“Not sure. It feels like someone’s been in here,” Brian scowled, as he turned to walk into the bedroom to change. He had an overnight bag and began to rummage through it for his toiletries. “I can’t explain it,” he murmured.

John examined the lock on the door. “The door seems fine, no signs of tampering. Besides, this place has more alarms than Fort Knox. If someone had broken in, you would have been notified.”

“Yeah. I know you’re right, but I can’t stop this nagging feeling in my gut.”

“Brian, I’ve learned to trust your instincts,” Justin said as he encircled his arms around his husband. “Is there any way to check if the alarm was turned off?”

“I’m not sure,” Brian said as he kissed the top of Justin’s head, finding solace in Justin’s strong arms.

“John, didn’t you...?” Bobby began.

“Damn, you’re right, Babe, I did,” John confirmed as he planted a wet one on Bobby’s lips.

“Mind letting me in on the secret?” Brian snarled as he stared at his brother and brother-in-law. “After you finish sucking face, of course.” Brian crossed his arms and arched a brow. Justin elbowed him. John and Bobby simultaneously rolled their eyes.

“When the girls wanted to move in...” John started to explain.

“Girls?” Brian questioned.

“Lacy and Katerina,” Bobby stated. Brian and Justin mouthed, ‘oh.’

“The girls wanted my opinion on some simple renovations. You know, more closet space, shelving, that sort of thing,” John said and the guys all nodded. “It’s their first apartment.”

The boys all resisted saying ‘aw.’

“Not every apartment in this building has an alarm. Since we know all the tenants I took the liberty of checking with them and discovered that they all wanted an alarm or an updated system. It’s not that big of a job so I contacted Ted since he has an eye on this property for you, and we installed an updated system,” John said proudly.

“But the keypad is the same,” Brian noted as he approached the door.

“Yours is the most updated and always has been. I didn’t need to change anything in here. However, the entire system has been upgraded and the alarm company can track who used their password to get into each apartment. You’ve assigned each of us our own password. In other words, we can check who’s been in here and when.”

“Hmm,” Brian mumbled then checked the time. “Damn, it’s late. I don’t suppose we can get access to those records now.” Brian looked disappointed. His curiosity was getting the better of him.

“Patience, brother dearest, patience,” John said as he held up his hand then he crossed the loft to Brian’s desk to boot up the computer. Brian kept a computer at the loft as a convenience for himself and his immediate family that used the loft, John in particular.

“I hope I haven’t overstepped my boundaries, Brian, but Ted wanted me in on this,” John stated pensively. With a few strokes of the keyboard, John accessed the security log of the building, specifically Brian’s loft. Starting with a few months ago, the log showed the date, time and user name of each access.

There was Emmett, who checked in on the loft weekly when he and Drew were in town. If Emmett was staying at his cottage, then Ted took over. There were several entries for John who stayed over several nights when he was working at the Village. There were also a few entries for Brian but it was the next to the last entry that had all four men gaping at the screen.

“Gus!” they all said at the same time. Three heads turned to Brian. The steam was clearly rising.

“Brian, there could be a simple explanation,” Justin said reasonably and calmly, as he placed his hand on Brian’s arm. John and Bobby nodded.

“Oh, I know there is, Sunshine.” Brian walked away from the desk to the kitchen. His refrigerator was all but bare but it did hold several bottles of water. Brian calmly took out a bottle, opened it and took a good long drink. “My son is using my loft as his own private FUCK PAD!” Brian yelled then threw the half empty bottle into the sink with a crash.

Three men scurried across the loft to try to calm the raging beast known as Brian Kinney.



*****



“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole drunkenly slobbered into his cell phone, getting Gus’ voice mail. “Next time, I’m gonna fuck your tight little ass off,” Cole said with all the finesse of a baboon in high heels. Then he giggled uncontrollably, snorted a few times then passed out for the night.



*****



Gus listened to the message on his cell phone. He frowned when he realized Cole was drunk. He was surprised at that. He thought Cole was a pretty cool guy, but he didn’t like the idea of being with someone who was drunk. Things could get out of hand.

And yet! His cock twitched at the idea of Cole “fucking his tight little ass off”. Gus groaned as he felt his cock swell just at the thought of what that would be like. He wondered if he was ready. He and Cole had done quite a few things, but Gus knew there was a lot more still to experience. He wondered if he truly was ready to fu… He shook his head. He couldn’t even think the complete word, let alone say it. Maybe his father was right. He needed to be able to say the word and understand all its implications before he could actually do it.

He hit the number of Cole’s cell phone. It rang several times and went to voicemail. Gus wondered if Cole was passed out somewhere. He had sounded pretty wasted when he had called Gus’ phone.

“Hey Cole, I hope you’re okay. You sounded … funny in your message. I’m heading to my father’s place for the weekend. I hope I can see you when I come back Monday morning.”

Gus closed his phone hoping that Cole was all right. He really did care about the guy, even if he wasn’t exactly the knight in shining armor that Gus had hoped for.



*****



Brian tossed and turned. He wanted to beat some sense into his son. He wanted to eviscerate Cole Adams … with a dull machete. He wanted to put the fucker on a slow boat to China never to return to Pittsburgh. He wanted to cradle Gus in his arms and protect him from the fucking world that threatened to hurt him.

Brian threw back the sheets and got up. He went quietly down the steps to the fridge where he got a bottle of water. He walked over to the windows, as he unscrewed the cap on the bottle. He stared out into the night as he took a long drink of water.

“Gus will be okay, Brian,” John said as he came up behind his brother.

“Shit! You scared me,” Brian said.

“I heard you tossing around in there.”

“Sorry if I kept you up.”

John shook his head. “I know you’re worried about Gus. We all are, but he’s growing up. You have to let him do that. He’ll make some mistakes, but they’re his mistakes. He needs to be given the freedom to do that.”

“And his first mistake is Cole Adams.”

“You could very well be right about that, Brian, but you can’t stop him. He has to learn things for himself.”

“But … I don’t want him to get hurt.”

“He’s a good kid. And we’re all looking out for him, you know. That’s why everyone told you about what they had seen. Nobody wants Gus to get hurt. We’ll all do our best to protect him.”

“I know,” Brian sighed. “But…”

“There is no but. Gus is coming to the cottage for the weekend, isn’t he?”

“Yes.”

“Then he’ll be away from Cole for a couple of days. Try to talk to him … gently. Don’t accuse him; just try to help him see how things are. Make sure he knows you’re on his side if things go bad with Cole.”

“They’re already bad,” Brian sighed.

“Gus doesn’t think so.”

“Yeah, I know. Okay, I’ll try to talk to him.”

“I know you will.”

“Thanks, big bro’.”

“Anytime,” John said as he gave his brother a hug. “Now get some sleep.”



*****



The ride to the cottage the next morning was very quiet. John and Bobby had headed out right after breakfast. They were going to pick up Patrick and head to the farm to get everything ready for the riding lesson. Brian and Justin picked up Gus and JR from the Munchers, and were in the process of driving to Edna’s Treasures. Gus was very quiet in the back seat. JR sensed that something was wrong and kept her mouth shut. Justin realized he was holding his breath half the time waiting for the explosion between father and son, when Brian finally lit into Gus.

“So, what’s new, Sonny Boy?” Brian asked, trying to sound nonchalant, as they passed the general store on the road to the cottage. That always signaled that they were getting close to Edna’s Treasures.

Justin felt his heart skip a beat as he waited for Gus to rely.

“Nothing much,” Gus said wondering why he father had been so quiet and now all of a sudden was asking him what was up. Something wasn’t right.

“Really?” Brian queried.

“Just the usual,” Gus said trying to give a non-committal answer without downright lying to his father.

“Really.”

“Pop, is something wrong?” Gus asked. He sensed that he was being cornered, but wasn’t sure how his father could have found out about Cole.

“Yes, something’s wrong,” Brian answered.

“What?”

“You tell me.”

“I … I don’t know what you mean.”

“I think you do,” Brian stated.

“Who told you?” Gus asked with a sigh, realizing that he was busted.

“You nearly ran Ben down in the street yesterday. He said you were with a guy whose description sounded an awful lot like Cole Adams.”

“Okay, Pop,” Gus replied. “Cole is here. He came to Pittsburgh yesterday. I met up with him.”

“And…”

“And … nothing,” Gus said. He didn’t think his father could possibly know about them using the loft.

“Really?”

“I don’t know what you expect me to say,” Gus protested meekly. He knew he had been wrong to take Cole to the loft, but they needed a place to be alone. They hadn’t done anything they didn’t do in New York.

“The truth would be nice,” Brian said cuttingly.

Gus winced. “I just told you that Cole was here.”

“But you wouldn’t have told me if I hadn’t already found out, would you?”

“Maybe not,” Gus admitted. “I know you don’t like him.”

“That would be correct.”

“But I like him, Pop … a lot.”

Brian was ready to start in on his son about what creeps like Cole Adams did to innocent young boys, when he felt Justin’s hand on his thigh. He looked down at it, as Justin squeezed his leg gently. He looked into Justin’s troubled eyes. Justin shook his head just a fraction.

“Anything else I should know?” Brian asked his son.

“No, Pop,” Gus replied, feeling guilty for not confessing about the loft. “I … I just really like Cole. That’s all.”

Justin squeezed a little harder, and Brian let out a breath. They turned into the lane at Edna’s Treasures. Brian decided to let it go for the moment.



*****



A while later they were all at the farm. Ashley and Sheldon had joined them and the children were all getting on their horses.

“I was riding all the time you were gone, Bree,” Patrick bragged.

“No you weren’t,” Bree retorted with a scowl. She never liked Patrick to be one up on her.

“Was too,” Patrick replied.

“Were not!”

“Briana, Patrick was riding while you were in New York,” John told the little girl, as Brian helped her onto Brandy. “I brought him to the farm several times.” John was hoping to diffuse a possible fight between the children.

“See!” Patrick said smugly.

“Well, I had more fun in Nyork than you had here,” Briana stated.

“Did not!”

“Did so!”

“Enough, Squirt,” Brian said sternly. “We’re here to ride the horses, not fight with each other.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said with a sigh. “Sowwy.”

Brian shook his head. He was about to tell Bree to say the word correctly, but he knew she was already feeling put upon by Patrick having more riding lessons while she was away. Brian glanced over at Little Red who had his nose up in the air, looking very pleased with himself.

“I can ride real good now,” Patrick said to no one in particular.

Bree frowned. “I can ride good too, can’t I, Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt. You can ride very well for someone your age.”

Bree frowned. That didn’t sound quite like what she had wanted to hear. Her Dada was supposed to tell everyone that she was the best. Bree was about to say something to Patrick when she noticed that her Uncle John was adjusting the stirrups on her saddle.

“What’s wrong, Unca John?” she asked.

“These need to be a little longer. I think you grew a few inches while you were away,” John told her.

Bree smiled smugly at Patrick. That made her feel much better.

“Dad let me ride all by myself,” Patrick suddenly felt compelled to tell Bree.

“Did not,” Bree responded.

“Did so! Didn’t you let me, Dad?”

“Yes, Patrick,” John said as he finished fixing Bree’s stirrups.

“Can we get this fu… this show on the road?” Brian asked. He was getting fed up with the bickering between the children. This day was not going the way he hoped it would. He glanced over at Gus who was holding the reins of Ashley’s horse. Brian wished his son would be honest with him, but it didn’t seem like that was going to happen either.

“Okay, everyone,” John began. “Let’s get moving. Give your horse a gentle nudge with your knees and see if you can get the horse to move forward. Tell him what you want him to do.”

The children did as instructed and the horses moved forward. They walked around the yard with John indicating when to pull the reins to get the horse to turn. The children were very excited to actually feel that they were controlling the horses instead of just having someone lead the horse for them. They hardly realized that each horse was firmly held under control by the person at its head. But they all had fun.

As the lesson came to an end, Patrick asked his father if he could show the others what he had learned while Bree was in New York.

“Okay,” John said, “but go easy.”

Patrick nodded. John let go of the reins and Patrick kicked his horse gently in the side. The horse began to trot and Patrick bounced along on the animal’s back. He smiled broadly as the other children, and particularly Bree, looked on jealously.

“Watch me, Bree,” Patrick called gaining confidence with each step the horse took. “I can go fast.”

“Patrick!” John said sternly, but it was too late.

Patrick kicked his horse hard with his heels and the animal bolted. It took off at top speed toward the barn. Patrick gasped and hung on for dear life … for about thirty seconds. Then he lost his stirrups and the next thing he knew the earth was rising up to meet him.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 4





John’s world came to a crashing halt. He heard Bree’s screams, as they all witnessed his precious son seemingly take flight off his horse then land on the dirt below. Mercifully, the shock and the hard landing knocked the red-headed boy unconscious. He neither heard nor felt the break. John, on the other hand, heard the telltale snap of bones breaking.

“Wait!” Brian commanded as John instinctively ran to his son’s side. “Don’t touch him,” Brian said wisely. Looking around to see if any farmhands were around, Brian saw Gus running toward them with Steve in tow.

“I called the rescue squad. They’ll be here soon,” Steve said gently, knowing John’s impatience, but also knowing that they could possibly do more damage if they moved the boy. Steve had a small horse blanket in his arms and proceeded to lay it gently over his grandson. “The dispatcher said we need to prevent shock,” Steve explained.

“Gus, why don’t you help your dad see to the other children, while I stay here with John and Patrick,” Steve suggested wisely. The kids were still atop their horses. Bree especially looked devastated and was crying. Gus nodded; he knew the horses had to be led back to the barn and cared for. It was all part of the lessons.

“Dad!” Gus prodded his father into action. Brian looked up to Steve for assurance and received a wise, gentle smile. Brian mustered up all his courage and executive skills and took charge of the remaining riders.

Gus, Brian and a couple of farmhand counselors, led the horses into the barn so that their saddles could be removed and brushed down. Someone had wisely called over to Claire, who came into the barn to reassure the frightened children. Falling off horses wasn’t uncommon. The children had to learn to face their fears before they took hold and ruined their enjoyment of riding forever. Claire and some of the farmhands regaled the children with their exploits with horses.

The rescue squad drove into the barnyard. The paramedics quickly immobilized Patrick’s arm then recommended instead of the long drive to Harrisburg, that they call ahead to Dr. Morrison who instructed them to bring the boy to his clinic. It was closer and he had the necessary equipment to x-ray the boy’s arm. Patrick was beginning to come around. To keep him calm for transport, the paramedics gave him a mild sedative. John rode in the ambulance with his son.

“Now what?” Brian helplessly asked Claire.

“Now we take the children back to the farm. Steve will call the cottage and we’ll have Ashley and Sheldon picked up. JR will help with Briana. Won’t you, honey?” Claire looked to the youngster for assistance. JR was twelve and had a firm grasp on the situation. She knew very well that her moms would freak if she ever got hurt. JR expected the same reaction from Patrick’s dads.

Within two hours, calm somewhat reigned again. Ashley and Sheldon were retrieved by their parents, and they had tentative plans for another riding lesson in two weeks. Claire stressed the importance of getting the kids back in the saddle as soon as possible. The parents, who had grown up in farming territory, agreed.

Justin had driven Bobby over to the farm. He had wanted to go directly to his father’s clinic, but Brian insisted they come to Claire’s first. After brief words and kisses, Brian drove Bobby to the Morrison Health Clinic, while Justin stayed with Bree, JR and Gus. Claire had organized the children into a baking brigade. There would be no idle hands or minds in her house. And Patrick would have a large batch of his favorite cookies ready to help him recover when he returned from the doctor.



*****



“Dad?” Bobby called out as he ran into the waiting room looking for any signs of his son and husband, Brian on his heels.

“Here we are!” Dan Morrison replied as he led a groggy little boy sporting a bright orange casted right arm in a sling, and his slightly shell-shocked father, out of the treatment room.

“Oh my little boy,” Bobby gushed as he scooped up his son who, at almost eight and taking after the taller Kinney side of the equation, was getting very heavy. Add to him the weight of the cast and Bobby was nearly bowled over.

“I’m sorry, Poppa,” Patrick said softly, bravely trying to hide his tears as Bobby set him down slowly.

“What are you sorry about?” Bobby asked.

“I didn’t listen to Daddy’s instructions and I got hurt.” Patrick had realized what his showing off had got him.

“We’ll discuss that later, I’m just glad you’re all right.” Bobby reassured his son then looked up to his own father for reassurance for himself. "He is all right, isn't he?"

Doctor Dan held up his hands. “It was a clean break; it should mend quickly. Come back in three weeks and I’ll x-ray the arm again,” Doctor Dan explained to the three concerned men in front of him.

“But he was unconscious,” John said worriedly.

“That was Mother Nature’s way of protecting small children. However, you all remember how to check on him, don’t you?” Dan looked at John and Bobby pointedly. They remembered from the time of their commitment ceremony when Brian and Justin got into the car accident and they were watching Brian for signs of concussion. John and Bobby nodded their heads dutifully.

“You can take him home now. My nurse will give you written instructions. You can give him some children’s pain reliever every four hours if he needs it. But I suspect he’ll need your TLC more than anything else.”

“Thanks, Dad,” Bobby whispered as he gave his father a hug.

“Thank you, Dan,” John said, as he held out his hand for his father-in-law to shake.

Dan pulled John into a hug. “It wasn’t your fault. Boys will be boys,” Dan counseled, knowing that John would be wracked with guilt. “Rachel isn’t the only spitfire in this family.” John looked into Dan’s eyes and saw only love in them.

“Take them home, Brian. Emily and I will be over some time tomorrow. Frankly, my Emily can use a few pointers from you regarding grilling steak. She never fails to turn a perfectly good t-bone into shoe leather,” Dan said with a twinkle in his eye.

Brian saluted, message received and understood. The family was about to rally. Brian slowly and carefully drove his family back to Claire and Steve’s.



*****



“Daddy, is Patrick going to die?” Bree asked her father. The farm house smelled like fresh baked cookies but no one had any appetite for them. Bree was waiting outside for her Dada to bring back Patrick.

“No, baby,” Justin answered quickly, realizing he was acting like it was someone’s funeral. They had gotten a call from Brian and knew they were on their way back. But no one had fully explained the situation to Briana. “Patrick has a broken arm.”

“Broken arm!” Bree exclaimed and the tears flowed freely down her little face.

“I won’t pretend that it doesn’t hurt. Patrick won’t feel good for a day or two but Doctor Dan made him better.”

“All better?”

“No, not all better. Patrick has a cast. It’s like a hard shell to protect his arm so that it will heal.”

“Like a bandage for my boo-boos?”

“Yes, something like that.”

“Can Patrick go riding?”

“Not right away.”

“Oh,” Bree said disappointedly. “Can I take care of Patrick while he gets better?”

“I think he’ll like that.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree said, as her smile returned to her face. “We gotta pack up the cookies for Patrick. They’ll make him ‘aaalll’ better.”

“I’m sure they will,” Justin said shaking his head, and following Bree back to the kitchen.



*****



“What’s wrong, Gus?” Steve asked the teenager as he stood by the old horseshoe pitch staring at his cell phone.

“Nothing,” Gus mumbled unconvincingly.

“Doesn’t sound like nothing.”

“Uncle John looked so scared this afternoon,” Gus commented after a prolonged silence.

“All parents get scared when their child gets hurt.”

“My Pop doesn’t get scared; he just gets angry.”

“Your Pop is no different from any other parent. He’s just better at hiding his feelings than most.”

Gus nodded in agreement. His dad was the hardest person to read. No one ever truly knew what Brian Kinney was really thinking, except maybe for Justin.

“This isn’t all about Patrick, is it?”

“No.”

“Gus, your parents love you, all four of them. And you have one of the largest families known to man. Whatever the problem is, there must be some family member you can confide in.”

“I know.”

“Good. Now, why don’t we get back to the house before your sisters eat up all the cookies,” Steve said with a smile, clapping the young, brooding Kinney on the back. “Gus, nothing is ever that awful that it can’t be talked about,” Steve advised, as he led the boy back to the house.



*****



“Patrick!” Bree screeched as she heard John’s Navigator drive up. Bree ran outside with Justin hot on her heels. She pulled up short as Bobby opened the back door and slid out. She watched her Unca John carry the sleepy boy into the house, the bright orange casted arm, cradled gently.

“Patrick,” Bree cried pitifully, tears streaming down her face once again. “Dada?” Bree looked to her older father for comfort. Brian picked up the petite blond then reached for Justin, Gus and JR.

“It’s okay, Squirt. Your Patrick will be just fine,” Brian murmured onto twin blond heads.

“Our Patrick, Dada,” Bree sniffled.

“Our Patrick,” Brian repeated as he brought his family back into the house to where Claire had begun cooking dinner and was waiting to begin the healing process.



*****



Unaware of the drama that was taking place several miles away, Curtis, Raph and Hector were enjoying a picnic at the small lake in the state park. They had had a picnic around four o’clock, having arrived at the park late. There had been a minor emergency at the veterinary clinic. It turned out to be nothing serious, but Raph had had to go in for a couple of hours. That had thrown their plans into a shambles. They were much later arriving at the park than they had anticipated. People were already starting to pack up and leave for the day.

Raph had been waiting for Curtis to mention swimming, since they were all sitting around in their bathing suits. The sun was already starting to get low in the sky and they would likely need to head out before too long. The day was cooling off.

“You want to try the water?” Raph finally asked when Curtis showed no signs of mentioning swimming himself.

“I … I’m not sure,” Curtis said looking at the water with a combination of longing and fear.

“We’ll be with you the whole time,” Hector said, trying to reassure the boy.

Curtis looked around. There were only a few people in the water. A lot of the beach had already cleared out. “Okay,” Curtis said hesitantly.

“Come on then,” Raph said standing up and extending his hand to Curtis to help him up.

Curtis took the hand, feeling the strength and security that Raph offered. Maybe he could do this. He looked at the water as they walked to its edge. Curtis had always been a little afraid of the water. He’d never had an opportunity to learn how to swim. He’d never even been to a park like this before Raph and Hector had brought him there. He watched a little girl kick and squeal as her dad held her up in the water. She seemed to float on her stomach, but Curtis could see that the father had his hands firmly under her, keeping her safe and above the water.

Raph watched Curtis watching the little girl. Something twisted inside him, as he realized that Curtis had never been treated like that. Raph intended to do his best to make up for that terrible oversight.

“That father has the right idea,” Raph said. “Squat down and get wet, Curtis, then we’ll see what Hector and I can teach you in one easy lesson.”

Curtis bent his knees and felt the cool water spread up his body. It felt pretty good even though the day was starting to cool a bit. When he was mostly wet, he stood up. “What should I do first?”

“Let’s go out a little farther where it’s up to your waist,” Hector suggested.

Curtis looked worried as they walked into the deeper water.

“We won’t go any farther than you want,” Raph said gently.

Curtis smiled at him. “Okay.” He hoped he sounded confident.

Once they were out to waist deep water, Raph stopped and turned to Curtis. “Do you think you could duck your head under the water and then come up?” he asked gently.

“Do I have to?”

“It helps if you get your face wet and feel what the water is like when it surrounds you. Remember to take a breath before you go under and hold it till you’re back on the surface,” Hector directed.

“Will you hold onto me?” Curtis asked. Hector gave him his hand. Curtis managed to get wet almost up to his forehead before he popped back up. He didn’t really want his eyes in the water.

“That was good,” Raph encouraged him.

“Really?”

“Yep. The first thing is to be able to get your face under the water. Try again.”

Curtis obliged, this time letting the water cover his eyes. He did this a few more times, smiling as he came back to the surface still able to breathe.

“Let’s try him on his stomach,” Hector suggested to Raph.

Raph nodded. “Curtis, I’m going to hold you under your chest and stomach. Hector will be in front of you. See if you can relax and float. I won’t let you go.”

Curtis looked scared but agreed to try. On the first attempt, Curtis immediately stood up flailing around as soon as his feet left the ground. They tried again. Raph managed to get Curtis is stay up for a minute before the same thing happened.

“I can’t do it,” Curtis said dejectedly.

“Sure you can,” Raph told him. “Each try you get a little better. Just do your best to relax. That will make it easier.”

This time Curtis stayed up for a couple of minutes. Hector told him to kick his feet and Curtis laughed with delight as he splashed water all over them. They did that for a while and then Raph told Curtis to stand up. Curtis was pleased to see that he could easily regain his footing.

“Try floating this time, Curtis,” Raph said. “I’m going to let go of you for just a few seconds and then I’ll support you again. Are you willing to try?”

Curtis nodded. Raph let go and Curtis started to sink. Raph immediately supported him again. Curtis looked scared, but then saw that Raph was there to help him. They tried that several times, and Curtis was able to float a few seconds longer each time.

“I think that’s enough for today,” Raph said after a few minutes.

“I suck at swimming, don’t I?” Curtis said as they walked out of the water.

“Not at all,” Hector assured him. “For the first time, you did really well.”

“I did?”

“Yes, you did,” Raph stated emphatically.

Curtis beamed. “I’d really like to learn to swim properly,” he said as they dried off.

“Maybe we should invest in some lessons at the YMCA,” Hector suggested.

Curtis frowned. “They’ll put me in with the little kids. I’ll feel like a stupid fool.”

“I bet they have classes for older people who never learned to swim,” Raph said. “We can look into it. You could try it and see if you like it. Otherwise, I’ll do my best to teach you.”

Curtis grinned. “You’re not a half bad teacher … for a vet.”

“Cheeky devil,” Raph said as they started gathering up their things to leave.

“Here’s the key to the car, Curtis. Will you put our cooler in the trunk while we go get changed? We’ll meet you in the change room,” Hector said.

Carrying the cooler, Curtis ran up the slope to the parking lot.

“He did quite well for his first swimming lesson,” Raph observed as he and Hector walked towards the change rooms.

“Yeah, but I think he could use some real lessons,” Hector noted.

Raph nodded in agreement. “You know that lesson today wasn’t really about swimming.”

“What do you mean?” Hector asked.

“It was about trust.”

“Did we pass?”

“I’d say so,” Raph said as they watched a happy Curtis race down the slope towards them.



*****



“Time for bed, kiddo,” Bobby said as John carried a tired Patrick into the house.

“Okay, Poppa,” the boy agreed. He was too worn out to argue. He had eaten some dinner at his Grandma Claire’s but now that they were home, he just wanted to sleep.

“But we have to wake you up a couple of times during the night,” John said.

“’Kay.” Patrick was too tired to care.

“I sleep with you, Patrick,” Bree stated, intending to take care of her cousin and best friend. “I take care of you.”

The phone took that moment to ring. Brian went to the kitchen to answer it. John looked at Justin and shook his head.

“Bree, Patrick needs his rest,” Justin said gently.

“I know, Daddy. I look after him.”

“He’s going to be restless and Uncle John and Uncle Bobby will have to wake him up a few times,” Justin tried to explain.

“I help.”

“Bree, you need to sleep in your own room tonight,” Justin said firmly.

“But Patwick needs me,” Bree practically sobbed. She reverted to her baby talk to make her point.

“I’ll be fine, Bree,” Patrick told her sleepily.

“I’m putting Patrick to bed now,” John stated and headed for his side of the house.

“Patrick,” Bree called after him.

“Let him go, Bree. You can look after him tomorrow,” Justin told her as tears started rolling down her cheeks.

“It’s my fault,” Bree wailed.

“What’s your fault, sweetheart?” Justin asked as he knelt down in front of his daughter.

“I told Patrick he couldn’t ride better than me. He was trying to show me that he could. It’s my fault he got hurt.” Bree put her arms around her father’s neck and sobbed on his shoulder.

“It’s not your fault. It was an accident.”

“I’m sorry,” Bree cried.

“I know, sweetheart, but it will be all right. You can help Patrick tomorrow. Okay?”

“Okay, Daddy. I sorry.”

Brian found them holding each other in the front hall. “What’s wrong?”

“Bree thinks it’s her fault Patrick got hurt.” Brian frowned. “I’ll explain later. Go put your pajamas on, Bree. Time for bed.” Bree scampered off down the hall, relieved that her fathers didn’t seem to be mad at her for what had happened to Patrick. She’d try to make it up to him tomorrow.

“Who was on the phone?” Justin asked as they watched her disappear into her room.

“Debbie.”

“What did she want?”

“Claire called her. Looks like we’re having a family barbecue tomorrow. The troops are rallying around our little fallen soldier.”

Justin shook his head. That ought to be a barrel of laughs.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

After the Fall

Chapter 5





Helllooo!” Emmett called out as he let himself in through the front door of Edna’s Treasures at Brian’s end of the conjoined cottages.

“Fuck,” Brian cursed in his bed. “If it’s before nine I swear I’ll string up that skinny nelly assed bottom queen by his balls!” he growled through clenched jaws.

“Brian, calm down, we have a visitor,” Justin whispered as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

“Yeah, I know and he’s probably making himself at home in our kitchen.”

“Not him,” Justin gestured at the door. “Her.” Justin pointed down between them.

“Huh?” Brian looked puzzled then carefully drew back the sheets. There between them lay Briana. At some point during the night, Bree came into her daddies’ room and crawled into their bed. She was very distraught over her wounded Patrick and was unable to sleep. Bree sought the comfort of her daddies.

“She looks so tiny,” Brian muttered as he gazed at the petite child. “I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to her or Gus,” he whispered as he softly caressed his sleeping daughter’s cheek. “She looks so vulnerable.”

“Brian, nothing’s going to happen to her or Gus,” Justin tried to console his partner.

“Unless you’ve suddenly turned psychic on me you can’t possibly know that,” Brian spat, refusing to be patronized. Justin was momentarily taken aback at Brian’s anger but then realized it was Brian’s protectiveness for his family that fed the anger.

Justin waited until Brian got himself under control.

“I’m sorry, Sunshine,” Brian said contritely then leaned over to kiss his beautiful blond spouse. Justin caressed Brian’s face then patted down Brian’s unruly case of bed head. Brian snorted as he rolled his eyes upward.

“I guess I should get my ass up and see what the big old fairy wants now,” Brian grumbled. Justin giggled as he nodded. “Let her sleep. She was very upset last night. I’m sure if she had to sleep in our bed, she’ll be grumpy if you wake her up too soon.”

“I suppose,” Justin said with a yawn as he snuggled back down. Brian’s two blonds cuddled closely.

“She’s your daughter, Sunshine,” Brian snarked as he pulled on a pair of shorts, threw on a t-shirt and mentally prepared himself to face their fairy godmother, namely one Emmett Honeycutt.



*****



“Shit, it’s times like these that I wish I still smoked,” Brian muttered as he sat at his kitchen counter and watched as Emmett took over his stove and other appliances.

“Oh pooh, you don’t need that nasty habit anymore. Drink this, it’ll make you human again,” Emmett cooed cheerfully as he slid a mug of coffee at the beast.

“Why are you torturing me?” Brian asked after a few sips.

“A little birdie called me last night.” Emmett was scrambling eggs and dicing vegetables for a large omelet.

“Little birdie?” Brian’s eyebrow arched up high. He suspected the species of birdie in question was of the short red wigged Italian variety.

“Brian, you know how much we all love John and Bobby and little Patrick. The family just wants...” Emmett’s explanation was cut off by Brian waving around his empty mug.

“No need to explain. When do they invade?”

Emmett refilled his mug, sliding the sugar bowl closer. “Around one. Whoever is coming will bring a dish or two, so don’t worry about feeding us.”

“I never do.” Brian finished off his second mug of coffee then began to gather the dishes together to set the table for breakfast.



*****



“Patrick, time to wake up,” Bobby shook his son gently. He and John had taken turns throughout the night checking on their son, waking him every two hours as directed. They were all tired and hungry.

“It hurts, Poppa,” Patrick whimpered. He was too tired to be brave and right now he needed his fathers. In anticipation, John walked in with a couple of tablets and a cup of juice. He found Bobby cradling their son, gently rocking the boy, soothing away the pain.

“I’m sorry, Daddy,” Patrick looked up at his older father.

“Shh, take these, they’ll make you feel better. We’ll all get washed up then go out to breakfast,” John stated reasonably.

“Not hungry.” Patrick wanted to hide in his room.

“Patrick, you have to eat. It’ll help your arm heal faster. Auntie Emm is in Uncle Brian’s kitchen cooking up a storm. I’m afraid if we don’t make an appearance in the porch very soon, Emmett will invade our kitchen.”

Duel red heads popped up with matching looks of horror on their faces.

“And I have it on good authority that several family members will be checking up on all of us later this afternoon. I think we should eat breakfast then go back to bed. We can get a few more hours of sleep before the army arrives,” John suggested.

Bobby and Patrick saw the sense in it. John and Bobby helped Patrick to get washed, dressed and then applied his sling. The Anderson-Morrison family went out to the sun porch to join the Kinney-Taylor half for breakfast.



*****



When Patrick appeared in the kitchen all eyes turned in his direction. Bree was sitting at the kitchen table while her Auntie Emm finished up what he was preparing.

“Patwick!” Bree screeched as slid off her chair. She raced across the room to throw herself into Patrick’s arms. She saw him flinch as she approached, and she skidded to a stop before she crashed into him. “You okay?” she asked with a worried look on her little face.

Patrick nodded. “Poppa gave me some medicine to stop the pain.”

Bree studied her cousin and friend for a moment then she reached up to place her arms gently around Patrick’s neck. Careful not to push on his cast, Bree hugged him as best she could and kissed his cheek.

“I’m okay,” Patrick said trying to be manly as he wiped at the spot she had just kissed.

“Come sit beside me,” Bree begged, taking Patrick’s good hand and trying to pull him over to the table. “I help you.”

Patrick looked up at his fathers who nodded that he should go with Bree. He walked over and sat gingerly on the chair beside Bree. Bobby placed himself next to the boy so that he could assist his son with his food if he needed help.

Bree leaned over to Patrick and whispered, “I sorry.”

Patrick blinked. He wasn’t sure what Bree was sorry for. He had been the one showing off. “It’s okay, Bree,” he said. “Grandpa says I’ll be fine in a few weeks.”

“That’s good,” Bree said sitting up straight. “We’re ready, Auntie Emm,” she announced.

“Your wish is my command, Princess Bree,” Emmett replied with a flourish of his hand. He set a plate in front of her and another in front of Patrick. “Our little prince needs his nourishment too. Eat up.”

Patrick looked at the heaping plate of omelet and bacon and home fries. He looked at Bobby who shrugged and said, “Just eat what you can.”

Patrick picked up his fork with his left hand. Being right handed it was very awkward trying to get a morsel of food stabbed with the fork in his left hand.

“I feed you,” Bree declared. She picked up her fork, skewered a chunk of home fries and held it up to Patrick’s lips.

“I can do it,” Patrick said testily. “I’m not a baby.” He pushed Bree’s arm away.

“Sowwy,” Bree said dropping the fork on her plate and staring into her lap.

Patrick saw a stray tear run down her cheek. He felt bad for causing that. “I can eat the home fries, Bree. But you could help me with the omelet. I don’t think I can cut it.”

Bobby was about to cut it for his son when he felt John’s hand on his thigh. John shook his head as they all watched Bree carefully break off a piece of omelet. Patrick let her feed it to him. The little girl beamed happily. She wiped away the tear that still clung to her chin.

“Eat good, Patrick. You have to get better,” Bree counseled.

“I will,” Patrick agreed.

Everyone dug into the delicious breakfast that Emmett had prepared. They couldn’t help watching, as Bree would feed a piece of something to Patrick and then take one of her own. This went on for the rest of the breakfast. Patrick seemed to have forgotten that he was going to eat his home fries by himself. As a result, Patrick ate a lot more than he had intended, and Bree was very happy being able to do something for her cousin.

After breakfast everybody headed for bed. The events of the previous day had been traumatic for all of them, and they were exhausted as a result. Plus, they had to fortify themselves for the onslaught of the well wishers who would descend on them in a few hours. Bree followed Patrick to his bedroom and they both curled up on his bed, getting the rest of the sleep that they needed.

That’s how Justin found his daughter some time later. Her arm was protectively across Patrick’s chest as the little boy slept on his back. Justin smiled at the beautiful picture. He knew that soon he would be painting a picture of this sweet scene.

By the time everyone got up and functional once again, the visitors had started to arrive. The first to descend on the cottage was Debbie, dragging Carl behind her, and Michael and Ben as well. Each man was laden with food in preparation for the ensuing barbecue.

“Where’s that brave little lad?” Debbie bellowed as she came through the door. She shoved a casserole dish at Brian and headed for the sun porch before anyone could answer. She found Patrick reclining on the chaise with Bree. “Oh, sweetheart, does it hurt?” she asked as she squeezed Patrick in a hug, but carefully, so as not to injure him further.

“A little bit,” Patrick admitted.

“Patrick’s very brave,” Bree informed her Gamma, nodding her head knowingly.

Patrick beamed at Bree’s kind words. “It’s not so bad.”

“Well, I brought you lots of food. You and your dads won’t have to cook for a week.”

“Try a month,” Brian snarked as he joined them. “Who all’s coming to this shindig?”

“I don’t know for sure. It was short notice, but I bet a lot of people will make the effort to get here,” Debbie explained.

“I can hardly wait.”

“Don’t be an asshole, kiddo,” Debbie warned. “Patrick needs our support.”

Brian tried to look contrite. He knew that Patrick needed support, but the poor boy didn’t need to be overwhelmed. And the fucking “family” could be overwhelming at the best of times. “Yeah, but don’t scare the fuck out of him.”

Debbie glared at Brian before smacking his cheek and then pulling him into a bone crusher of a hug. “You know how to take care of your family, kiddo,” she whispered in his ear.

“Thanks, Deb,” he replied.

The rest of the guests took that moment to start arriving.



*****



“Hi lambskin,” Lindsay greeted Gus who was sitting in the garden when she arrived. She had driven up by herself and would take JR and Gus home with her. Melanie was caught up with a big case and begged off the impromptu party.

“Oh, Mom,” Gus whined at the nickname. “I’m almost seventeen; can’t you come up with a better nickname?” He almost let an expletive slip.

“Sorry, honey, force of habit,” Lindsay said with a shrug. “Are you all right, sweetie?” Lindsay asked her son who looked distracted. “Patrick will be okay.”

“I know. I mean, I feel bad that he broke his arm but that’s not it.” Gus was contemplating taking Steve’s advice and confiding in his mom. For some reason he thought his mother would be more understanding than his father. “Mom, can we take a walk?”

“Sure, lambskin. Let me say hello to JR and the rest of the family and I’ll be right back.”

“Thanks, Mom.” Gus was relieved.



*****



“Where’s my grandson?” Claire asked, scanning the sun porch as she and Steve came through the door. Dan and Emily were right behind. The set of grandparents had driven over to the cottage together.

“Here I am, Grandma!” Patrick called out amid a flock of well wishers. Drew had joined Emmett at the cottage. While Emmett fawned all over the broken boy, bringing him snacks and goodies, Drew regaled the lad with tales of football war stories.

“How are you feeling, Patrick?” Emily asked her only grandson.

“Better,” Patrick said with bravado.

“I helped Patrick eat his eggs this morning!” Bree assured Patrick’s grandma.

“Oh thank you, Briana. That was very good of you. You’ll make a very fine doctor or nurse someday,” Emily gushed and Briana beamed. Bree so wanted her cousin and best friend in the whole world to get better.

“Patrick, can I check your cast?” Dan asked his grandson and patient. Under normal circumstances, Dan would never treat a family member, but John had insisted. So Dan had a colleague actually treat Patrick with Doctor Dan in close attendance. Dan checked the cast and the circulation to Patrick’s arm and hand. Pronouncing the boy on the right road to recovery, Dan handed his grandson a large cup of milk.

“Now, where is your Uncle? I want him to grill us some steak,” Dan confided to his grandson with a wink. Patrick smiled brightly.

Ted and Allen decided to drive to the cottage as well and brought along boxes of munchies, soft drinks and beer. Ted knew that Brian would probably want to keep close to home for a time while his nephew recovered. John was knee deep in projects that required his supervision. Bobby had intentions of taking some time off and then working from home. Ted brought several contracts for Brian to peruse and approve.

“What’s wrong, Bri?” Ted asked, handing his friend and boss a cold beer. Brian was getting looks from many of the family so he thought it best to fire up the grill.
“You’re acting like it was Bree that broke an arm,” Ted said innocently.

“Bite your tongue, Theodore,” Brian snapped angrily.

“Whoa, only a comment on the state of your … your face. You look like you’ve lost your best friend, and since both Justin and Michael are here, then I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re brooding about something. It can’t be anything business related since Kinnetik, Babylon and your other enterprises are all raking in the dough. So therefore you’re ‘subduededness’ must be child related.”

“Subduededness? Is that even a word?”

“Probably not but I’m trying to make a point here. The kids are fine. The family is fine.” Ted ignored the eyebrow and glare. “Brian, boys will break things. Even the great Brian Kinney broke something. Now, stop glaring at everyone and start grilling before you have a riot on your hands.” Brian stared at his friend and business associate.

“Since when did you grow balls?”

“Since you made me your CFO. Now grill, before I sic Emmett on you,” Ted said smugly. Brian immediately complied.



*****



“What is it, Gus?” Lindsay asked her son as they slowly strolled the path to the stream. The wildflowers were all in bloom, filling the summer air with their fragrance. Lindsay could see where Justin got most of his inspiration and why he never wanted to leave Edna’s Treasures.

“Mom, did you ever do something not really bad but not really good either?” Gus wanted to tell his mother about Cole but was embarrassed.

“Yes, I’ve made many mistakes but I’ve tried to learn from them and not repeat them.” Lindsay suspected that her son had met someone, but unlike Brian who demanded name, rank and serial number, she took a softer route and did not push.

“Mom...”

“Whatever it is, lambskin, just remember I love you.” Lindsay drew her precious son into a hug. Gus went willingly into his mother’s arms.

“Love you too, Mom,” Gus said without revealing anything of Cole to his mother.

Mother and son shared the hug until Gus’ stomach grumbled.

“I think someone’s hungry,” Lindsay laughed as she gently pushed Gus away to look at his talking tummy. Just then Lindsay’s stomach grumbled too.

“And I think your stomach seconded the motion.” Gus and his mother cracked up. “Let’s go back. I think I hear Pop slamming the grill.” Gus and Lindsay laughed louder as they walked back toward the cottage.



*****



“Jackie, you’re brooding,” Claire commented to her son.

“I do not brood,” John replied curtly, receiving a displeased mother’s glare for his trouble. “Okay, so I’m brooding but I think I’m entitled.” John tried to be convincing.

“Maybe, but you know that children pick up what their parents are feeling and if you start treating your son like he’s made out of glass, he’ll never get back on that horse. How many times did you fall off a horse or out of a tree or off some scaffolding somewhere and broke a bone or two?”

“More times than I care to remember,” John admitted.

“I know how much you want to protect your son. You turned more than a few of my hairs grey, but it’s time you got over it, and shake some sense into your brother as well.”

“What does Brian have to do with this?”

“John, he looks just as devastated as you do about this. Patrick is his godson and he supported you and Bobby all the way. Hell, you know Brian feels almost as responsible for your son as you do. He’s hovering, over Patrick, and over Bree. Set an example for him. Actions speak louder than words for Brian. You can care for Patrick without coddling him. Besides, Bree will do all the coddling for you.”

John snickered; his mother was right, as usual. Right about Patrick, himself, Brian and Bree.

“Okay, no more brooding. Caring without coddling. We’ll leave that to Bree. She’ll take care of her prince.”

“She certainly will. Now let’s convince Brian before he beats up the grill.” Claire and John laughed as they went to rescue Brian and his grill.After the Fall

Chapter 5

Helllooo!” Emmett called out as he let himself in through the front door of Edna’s Treasures at Brian’s end of the conjoined cottages.


“Fuck,” Brian cursed in his bed. “If it’s before nine I swear I’ll string up that skinny nelly assed bottom queen by his balls!” he growled through clenched jaws.


“Brian, calm down, we have a visitor,” Justin whispered as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.


“Yeah, I know and he’s probably making himself at home in our kitchen.”


“Not him,” Justin gestured at the door. “Her.” Justin pointed down between them.


“Huh?” Brian looked puzzled then carefully drew back the sheets. There between them lay Briana. At some point during the night, Bree came into her daddies’ room and crawled into their bed. She was very distraught over her wounded Patrick and was unable to sleep. Bree sought the comfort of her daddies.


“She looks so tiny,” Brian muttered as he gazed at the petite child. “I don’t know what I’d do if anything happened to her or Gus,” he whispered as he softly caressed his sleeping daughter’s cheek. “She looks so vulnerable.”


“Brian, nothing’s going to happen to her or Gus,” Justin tried to console his partner.


“Unless you’ve suddenly turned psychic on me you can’t possibly know that,” Brian spat, refusing to be patronized. Justin was momentarily taken aback at Brian’s anger but then realized it was Brian’s protectiveness for his family that fed the anger.


Justin waited until Brian got himself under control.


“I’m sorry, Sunshine,” Brian said contritely then leaned over to kiss his beautiful blond spouse. Justin caressed Brian’s face then patted down Brian’s unruly case of bed head. Brian snorted as he rolled his eyes upward.


“I guess I should get my ass up and see what the big old fairy wants now,” Brian grumbled. Justin giggled as he nodded. “Let her sleep. She was very upset last night. I’m sure if she had to sleep in our bed, she’ll be grumpy if you wake her up too soon.”


“I suppose,” Justin said with a yawn as he snuggled back down. Brian’s two blonds cuddled closely.


“She’s your daughter, Sunshine,” Brian snarked as he pulled on a pair of shorts, threw on a t-shirt and mentally prepared himself to face their fairy godmother, namely one Emmett Honeycutt.


*****


“Shit, it’s times like these that I wish I still smoked,” Brian muttered as he sat at his kitchen counter and watched as Emmett took over his stove and other appliances.


“Oh pooh, you don’t need that nasty habit anymore. Drink this, it’ll make you human again,” Emmett cooed cheerfully as he slid a mug of coffee at the beast.


“Why are you torturing me?” Brian asked after a few sips.


“A little birdie called me last night.” Emmett was scrambling eggs and dicing vegetables for a large omelet.


“Little birdie?” Brian’s eyebrow arched up high. He suspected the species of birdie in question was of the short red wigged Italian variety.


“Brian, you know how much we all love John and Bobby and little Patrick. The family just wants...” Emmett’s explanation was cut off by Brian waving around his empty mug.


“No need to explain. When do they invade?”


Emmett refilled his mug, sliding the sugar bowl closer. “Around one. Whoever is coming will bring a dish or two, so don’t worry about feeding us.”


“I never do.” Brian finished off his second mug of coffee then began to gather the dishes together to set the table for breakfast.


*****


“Patrick, time to wake up,” Bobby shook his son gently. He and John had taken turns throughout the night checking on their son, waking him every two hours as directed. They were all tired and hungry.


“It hurts, Poppa,” Patrick whimpered. He was too tired to be brave and right now he needed his fathers. In anticipation, John walked in with a couple of tablets and a cup of juice. He found Bobby cradling their son, gently rocking the boy, soothing away the pain.


“I’m sorry, Daddy,” Patrick looked up at his older father.


“Shh, take these, they’ll make you feel better. We’ll all get washed up then go out to breakfast,” John stated reasonably.


“Not hungry.” Patrick wanted to hide in his room.


“Patrick, you have to eat. It’ll help your arm heal faster. Auntie Emm is in Uncle Brian’s kitchen cooking up a storm. I’m afraid if we don’t make an appearance in the porch very soon, Emmett will invade our kitchen.”


Duel red heads popped up with matching looks of horror on their faces.


“And I have it on good authority that several family members will be checking up on all of us later this afternoon. I think we should eat breakfast then go back to bed. We can get a few more hours of sleep before the army arrives,” John suggested.


Bobby and Patrick saw the sense in it. John and Bobby helped Patrick to get washed, dressed and then applied his sling. The Anderson-Morrison family went out to the sun porch to join the Kinney-Taylor half for breakfast.


*****


When Patrick appeared in the kitchen all eyes turned in his direction. Bree was sitting at the kitchen table while her Auntie Emm finished up what he was preparing.


“Patwick!” Bree screeched as slid off her chair. She raced across the room to throw herself into Patrick’s arms. She saw him flinch as she approached, and she skidded to a stop before she crashed into him. “You okay?” she asked with a worried look on her little face.


Patrick nodded. “Poppa gave me some medicine to stop the pain.”


Bree studied her cousin and friend for a moment then she reached up to place her arms gently around Patrick’s neck. Careful not to push on his cast, Bree hugged him as best she could and kissed his cheek.


“I’m okay,” Patrick said trying to be manly as he wiped at the spot she had just kissed.


“Come sit beside me,” Bree begged, taking Patrick’s good hand and trying to pull him over to the table. “I help you.”


Patrick looked up at his fathers who nodded that he should go with Bree. He walked over and sat gingerly on the chair beside Bree. Bobby placed himself next to the boy so that he could assist his son with his food if he needed help.


Bree leaned over to Patrick and whispered, “I sorry.”


Patrick blinked. He wasn’t sure what Bree was sorry for. He had been the one showing off. “It’s okay, Bree,” he said. “Grandpa says I’ll be fine in a few weeks.”


“That’s good,” Bree said sitting up straight. “We’re ready, Auntie Emm,” she announced.


“Your wish is my command, Princess Bree,” Emmett replied with a flourish of his hand. He set a plate in front of her and another in front of Patrick. “Our little prince needs his nourishment too. Eat up.”


Patrick looked at the heaping plate of omelet and bacon and home fries. He looked at Bobby who shrugged and said, “Just eat what you can.”


Patrick picked up his fork with his left hand. Being right handed it was very awkward trying to get a morsel of food stabbed with the fork in his left hand.


“I feed you,” Bree declared. She picked up her fork, skewered a chunk of home fries and held it up to Patrick’s lips.


“I can do it,” Patrick said testily. “I’m not a baby.” He pushed Bree’s arm away.


“Sowwy,” Bree said dropping the fork on her plate and staring into her lap.


Patrick saw a stray tear run down her cheek. He felt bad for causing that. “I can eat the home fries, Bree. But you could help me with the omelet. I don’t think I can cut it.”


Bobby was about to cut it for his son when he felt John’s hand on his thigh. John shook his head as they all watched Bree carefully break off a piece of omelet. Patrick let her feed it to him. The little girl beamed happily. She wiped away the tear that still clung to her chin.


“Eat good, Patrick. You have to get better,” Bree counseled.


“I will,” Patrick agreed.


Everyone dug into the delicious breakfast that Emmett had prepared. They couldn’t help watching, as Bree would feed a piece of something to Patrick and then take one of her own. This went on for the rest of the breakfast. Patrick seemed to have forgotten that he was going to eat his home fries by himself. As a result, Patrick ate a lot more than he had intended, and Bree was very happy being able to do something for her cousin.


After breakfast everybody headed for bed. The events of the previous day had been traumatic for all of them, and they were exhausted as a result. Plus, they had to fortify themselves for the onslaught of the well wishers who would descend on them in a few hours. Bree followed Patrick to his bedroom and they both curled up on his bed, getting the rest of the sleep that they needed.


That’s how Justin found his daughter some time later. Her arm was protectively across Patrick’s chest as the little boy slept on his back. Justin smiled at the beautiful picture. He knew that soon he would be painting a picture of this sweet scene.


By the time everyone got up and functional once again, the visitors had started to arrive. The first to descend on the cottage was Debbie, dragging Carl behind her, and Michael and Ben as well. Each man was laden with food in preparation for the ensuing barbecue.


“Where’s that brave little lad?” Debbie bellowed as she came through the door. She shoved a casserole dish at Brian and headed for the sun porch before anyone could answer. She found Patrick reclining on the chaise with Bree. “Oh, sweetheart, does it hurt?” she asked as she squeezed Patrick in a hug, but carefully, so as not to injure him further.


“A little bit,” Patrick admitted.


“Patrick’s very brave,” Bree informed her Gamma, nodding her head knowingly.


Patrick beamed at Bree’s kind words. “It’s not so bad.”


“Well, I brought you lots of food. You and your dads won’t have to cook for a week.”


“Try a month,” Brian snarked as he joined them. “Who all’s coming to this shindig?”


“I don’t know for sure. It was short notice, but I bet a lot of people will make the effort to get here,” Debbie explained.


“I can hardly wait.”


“Don’t be an asshole, kiddo,” Debbie warned. “Patrick needs our support.”


Brian tried to look contrite. He knew that Patrick needed support, but the poor boy didn’t need to be overwhelmed. And the fucking “family” could be overwhelming at the best of times. “Yeah, but don’t scare the fuck out of him.”


Debbie glared at Brian before smacking his cheek and then pulling him into a bone crusher of a hug. “You know how to take care of your family, kiddo,” she whispered in his ear.


“Thanks, Deb,” he replied.


The rest of the guests took that moment to start arriving.


*****


“Hi lambskin,” Lindsay greeted Gus who was sitting in the garden when she arrived. She had driven up by herself and would take JR and Gus home with her. Melanie was caught up with a big case and begged off the impromptu party.


“Oh, Mom,” Gus whined at the nickname. “I’m almost seventeen; can’t you come up with a better nickname?” He almost let an expletive slip.


“Sorry, honey, force of habit,” Lindsay said with a shrug. “Are you all right, sweetie?” Lindsay asked her son who looked distracted. “Patrick will be okay.”


“I know. I mean, I feel bad that he broke his arm but that’s not it.” Gus was contemplating taking Steve’s advice and confiding in his mom. For some reason he thought his mother would be more understanding than his father. “Mom, can we take a walk?”


“Sure, lambskin. Let me say hello to JR and the rest of the family and I’ll be right back.”


“Thanks, Mom.” Gus was relieved.


*****


“Where’s my grandson?” Claire asked, scanning the sun porch as she and Steve came through the door. Dan and Emily were right behind. The set of grandparents had driven over to the cottage together.


“Here I am, Grandma!” Patrick called out amid a flock of well wishers. Drew had joined Emmett at the cottage. While Emmett fawned all over the broken boy, bringing him snacks and goodies, Drew regaled the lad with tales of football war stories.


“How are you feeling, Patrick?” Emily asked her only grandson.


“Better,” Patrick said with bravado.


“I helped Patrick eat his eggs this morning!” Bree assured Patrick’s grandma.


“Oh thank you, Briana. That was very good of you. You’ll make a very fine doctor or nurse someday,” Emily gushed and Briana beamed. Bree so wanted her cousin and best friend in the whole world to get better.


“Patrick, can I check your cast?” Dan asked his grandson and patient. Under normal circumstances, Dan would never treat a family member, but John had insisted. So Dan had a colleague actually treat Patrick with Doctor Dan in close attendance. Dan checked the cast and the circulation to Patrick’s arm and hand. Pronouncing the boy on the right road to recovery, Dan handed his grandson a large cup of milk.


“Now, where is your Uncle? I want him to grill us some steak,” Dan confided to his grandson with a wink. Patrick smiled brightly.


Ted and Allen decided to drive to the cottage as well and brought along boxes of munchies, soft drinks and beer. Ted knew that Brian would probably want to keep close to home for a time while his nephew recovered. John was knee deep in projects that required his supervision. Bobby had intentions of taking some time off and then working from home. Ted brought several contracts for Brian to peruse and approve.


“What’s wrong, Bri?” Ted asked, handing his friend and boss a cold beer. Brian was getting looks from many of the family so he thought it best to fire up the grill.

“You’re acting like it was Bree that broke an arm,” Ted said innocently.


“Bite your tongue, Theodore,” Brian snapped angrily.


“Whoa, only a comment on the state of your … your face. You look like you’ve lost your best friend, and since both Justin and Michael are here, then I’ve come to the conclusion that you’re brooding about something. It can’t be anything business related since Kinnetik, Babylon and your other enterprises are all raking in the dough. So therefore you’re ‘subduededness’ must be child related.”


“Subduededness? Is that even a word?”


“Probably not but I’m trying to make a point here. The kids are fine. The family is fine.” Ted ignored the eyebrow and glare. “Brian, boys will break things. Even the great Brian Kinney broke something. Now, stop glaring at everyone and start grilling before you have a riot on your hands.” Brian stared at his friend and business associate.


“Since when did you grow balls?”


“Since you made me your CFO. Now grill, before I sic Emmett on you,” Ted said smugly. Brian immediately complied.


*****


“What is it, Gus?” Lindsay asked her son as they slowly strolled the path to the stream. The wildflowers were all in bloom, filling the summer air with their fragrance. Lindsay could see where Justin got most of his inspiration and why he never wanted to leave Edna’s Treasures.


“Mom, did you ever do something not really bad but not really good either?” Gus wanted to tell his mother about Cole but was embarrassed.


“Yes, I’ve made many mistakes but I’ve tried to learn from them and not repeat them.” Lindsay suspected that her son had met someone, but unlike Brian who demanded name, rank and serial number, she took a softer route and did not push.


“Mom...”


“Whatever it is, lambskin, just remember I love you.” Lindsay drew her precious son into a hug. Gus went willingly into his mother’s arms.


“Love you too, Mom,” Gus said without revealing anything of Cole to his mother.


Mother and son shared the hug until Gus’ stomach grumbled.


“I think someone’s hungry,” Lindsay laughed as she gently pushed Gus away to look at his talking tummy. Just then Lindsay’s stomach grumbled too.


“And I think your stomach seconded the motion.” Gus and his mother cracked up. “Let’s go back. I think I hear Pop slamming the grill.” Gus and Lindsay laughed louder as they walked back toward the cottage.


*****


“Jackie, you’re brooding,” Claire commented to her son.


“I do not brood,” John replied curtly, receiving a displeased mother’s glare for his trouble. “Okay, so I’m brooding but I think I’m entitled.” John tried to be convincing.


“Maybe, but you know that children pick up what their parents are feeling and if you start treating your son like he’s made out of glass, he’ll never get back on that horse. How many times did you fall off a horse or out of a tree or off some scaffolding somewhere and broke a bone or two?”


“More times than I care to remember,” John admitted.


“I know how much you want to protect your son. You turned more than a few of my hairs grey, but it’s time you got over it, and shake some sense into your brother as well.”


“What does Brian have to do with this?”


“John, he looks just as devastated as you do about this. Patrick is his godson and he supported you and Bobby all the way. Hell, you know Brian feels almost as responsible for your son as you do. He’s hovering, over Patrick, and over Bree. Set an example for him. Actions speak louder than words for Brian. You can care for Patrick without coddling him. Besides, Bree will do all the coddling for you.”


John snickered; his mother was right, as usual. Right about Patrick, himself, Brian and Bree.


“Okay, no more brooding. Caring without coddling. We’ll leave that to Bree. She’ll take care of her prince.”


“She certainly will. Now let’s convince Brian before he beats up the grill.” Claire and John laughed as they went to rescue Brian and his grill.

 

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 6





Brian had barbecued up a storm, and everyone had indulged in far more food than they should have. Nobody could resist all the delicious casseroles and salads and desserts that everyone had brought.

Patrick and Bree were still ensconced on the chaise where people made a point of coming to talk to them and seeing that they had lots of food and drinks. Everyone enjoyed chatting and telling stories of their own sprains or breaks when they were younger. Patrick held up quite well during all the attention. Brian and John seemed to calm down a bit, and things seemingly were back to normal.

As the afternoon wore on, Dan Morrison realized that Patrick was starting to flag. He pulled Bobby aside and pointed out this fact. Bobby and John conferred on how to handle the situation. John decided to take a leaf from Brian Kinney’s book. He whistled loudly, getting everyone’s attention.

“I want to thank you all for coming today. My son, my husband and I are very lucky to be part of this warm and caring family. It was great of you all to come here today to show your support and to cheer us all up.”

“But…” Ted said when John paused.

“You’re a smart man, Theodore,” Brian whispered to him. He had realized what John was doing as soon as his brother started speaking.

“But … I think our wounded prince needs to have a nap. He’s had a major blow to his body and he needs to rest and recuperate,” John explained as gently as he could.

“So, get the fuck out!” Debbie added with a laugh.

“Well, I was trying to put it a little more diplomatically than that,” John chuckled. Trust Debbie to get to the heart of the matter.

“Well, I’m ready to go,” Debbie said. “You just make sure you eat all that food that I brought today. And get that little angel back to normal as soon as possible.”

“Yes, ma’am,” John replied.

“I want to sign Patrick’s cast,” Michael piped up. “Then I’m ready to go.”

“That’s a great idea,” Ben added.

“Yeah, then Patrick will know how much we all love him,” Emmett said with his usual flamboyant flair.

Justin found some markers that would be suitable for writing on the fiberglass cast. Michael got to go first since it was his idea.

Suddenly the chaise where Bree and Patrick were sitting was surrounded by everyone waiting their turn. The person signing the cast sat on the edge of the chaise, and gradually Bree found herself pushed off to the side. She frowned, trying to get the marker every time someone finished signing, but she had no luck.

Finally she slid off the chaise and moved to the outside of the group. She watched them all surrounding Patrick, and suddenly felt very left out. She stamped her little foot in frustration, but nobody paid any attention. Drawing in a deep breath, she marched over to her little work table and pulled out paper and her own markers.

“You’re such a kid,” Brian joked when Michael was finished signing the cast.

“Just young at heart,” Michael said brightly. He was happy that everyone had picked up on his idea. Patrick seemed to love all the attention and the names and the little happy faces that people were drawing all over his orange cast.

“It was a good idea, Mikey,” Brian conceded.

Michael nodded in agreement. “There were a few times when we were teenagers that I thought you were going to need one of those.”

“Yeah,” was all Brian said in reply. He shook his head at the memory. “But as it turned out, neither of us needed one.”

“Miraculously,” Michael replied. “We did some stupid stuff too.”

“Speak for yourself. I was always impeccable in the choices I made.”

Michael snorted. “You are so fucking full of shit!”

“You know me too well,” Brian said with a wink. They hugged briefly before Michael and Ben took their leave.

It took longer than John and Bobby would have liked before all the autographs were added to the cast. But Patrick seemed to enjoy them all signing the cast on his arm. He laughed and smiled at their warm wishes and silly messages. Finally the last signature was added and the sun porch had cleared.

“Time for your nap,” John said scooping up his son from the chaise.

“Okay, Daddy,” Patrick said with a yawn. “I like my decorations.” He held up his cast, looking at the colorful array of things written and drawn on it.

“Everyone wants you to get all better real soon,” Bobby said, gently ruffling Patrick’s hair.

“I know, Poppa.” John started to carry his son to their side of the cottage. “Wait,” Patrick ordered suddenly. John stopped and waited to see what his son wanted. “Can Bree come with me?”

They looked over at Bree who was still working at her table. She looked up when she heard her name.

“Do you want me to come with you, Patrick?” she asked hopefully. She had thought that Patrick didn’t need her anymore when he had everyone else’s attention.

“Yes, I do,” Patrick replied. “And bring your favorite marker with you.”

“Why?” Bree asked with a frown. She picked up her paper she had been coloring and her purple marker.

“I’ll tell you in a minute,” Patrick said mysteriously.

“I’m going with Patrick,” Bree called into the kitchen where her fathers, Emmett and Drew were storing food in the fridge and cleaning up the kitchen.

“Okay, sweetheart,” Justin called in response.

John deposited his son on his bed and offered him another pain med. The little boy took it gratefully. His arm was throbbing.

“You two get some sleep,” Bobby cautioned as he kissed his son’s forehead.

“’Kay, Poppa.”

John and Bobby left the children alone, not quite closing the door to Patrick’s bedroom behind them.

“I wanted to sign your cast,” Bree pouted. “But everybody pushed me out of the way.”

“I know. I’m sorry,” Patrick told her.

“So I made you a card instead,” Bree said, brightening up at her own ingenuity.

“You didn’t need to.”

“I wanted to.” She handed the folded paper to her cousin.

Patrick looked at the front of the paper. It had Bree’s famous rainbow drawn and colored on it.

“I saw rainbow M & M’s in Nyork,” Bree told him.

“You did?”

“Yeah. Gamma Joan bought some of each color and we ate them.”

“Cool!”

“Read the inside,” Bree directed him.

Patrick opened the paper and smiled. “I love you too, Bree. Thanks for feeding me my eggs this morning.”

“I help you … whatever you need,” she said sincerely.

“I know,” Patrick said with a tired smile. “Have you got your marker?”

Bree nodded. “Why?”

“I saved a space for you,” Patrick said. He carefully turned his wrist over to show an empty spot on the part that would be closest to his heart when he wore his sling. “I wouldn’t let anybody write on there,” he declared.

“Thank you,” Bree said leaning over to kiss Patrick’s cheek.

“So, you want to put your name there?”

“Sure,” Bree said cheerfully. She carefully printed her name on the empty space.

“You didn’t fill the whole space,” Patrick observed.

“I saved room to make my rainbow there,” Bree said, “when I have all my colors to use.” She popped the lid back on her marker.

“I’d like that.” Patrick smiled at her, as they both settled down onto the bed and promptly fell asleep. Bree’s arm found its way to its resting place on Patrick’s chest. They both felt better when it was there.



*****



Later that night, the cottage was quiet. Brian and Justin were cuddling together on the chaise in the sun porch. The sun had set, lighting a fire of red and gold in the summer sky. Soon a moon was peeping over the trees.

John had retired early. He was to be up with the birds in the morning to supervise a new project then had several estimates lined up. Bobby had one court appointment later in the day that could not be rearranged. Other than that Bobby would be a house husband for at least a week.

Ted’s supposition that Brian wanted to stay close to home had hit the nail on the head. Aside from his Kinnetik work, Brian wanted to work on the gardens which although cared for while they were away in New York, still required his special attention. He and Bree had lots of gar-gar to do and would involve Patrick with as much as he could tolerate.

A refreshing breeze bringing in the soft fragrance of roses in bloom wafted into the sun porch. They could see Beau meandering through the garden on his nightly patrol. Beau would make his way down to the stream, inspecting every tree, marking some as he claimed this corner of the world as his. Then he’d dart across the road to Rachel and George’s house, circling the replanted home, making sure all was safe and secure.

Last but not least was Emmett’s dream cottage. Emmett and Drew’s haven away from the hustle and bustle of the city was surrounded by the white picket fence that Emmett had always desired. Beau took off in full run, down the lane to their end to make his inspection. Only when Beau was satisfied that his territory was secure did he come home, back to Edna’s Treasures.

Brian heard the soft swoosh of Beau’s doggie door swing back into place. Brian and Justin raised their heads as Beau’s nails clicked across the porch floor then watched him settle down for the night.

“And all is right in the world again,” Brian commented softly. He kissed Justin’s nose as Justin snuggled closer. Eventually they’d go to bed but for now, Brian and Justin were kings of all they could survey.

“Bri, do you know what chaos theory is?” Justin asked after a while.

Brian wasn’t asleep but his eyes were closed. He leaned back, opening his eyes to look at his spouse. “I suppose you mean the other theory and not the one that attempts to explain our chaotic family.”

Justin chuckled as he nodded.

Brian took a deep breath then answered his partner’s rather unexpected question. “Well, basically chaos theory says that some sort of seemingly inconsequential event that takes place hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles away can affect our life or environment in some way.”

Justin’s eyes grew wide at Brian’s correct, albeit simple, answer. But then again, Justin always knew Brian was a very smart man. Justin smiled smugly as he thought, ‘Of course he’s smart. He married me, didn’t he?’

“I let you catch me, Sunshine, then thought it prudent to make you an honest man,” Brian snarked, reading his husband’s thoughts. “Now what’s all this about chaos theory?”

“Do you know what a fractal is?” Justin’s blue eyes sparkled with mirth.

“A pictorial representation of chaos,” Brian retorted nonchalantly. “And I repeat, why the interest in chaos theory other than to drive me insane.”

Justin giggled then lovingly kissed Brian’s lips calming away the insanity, leaving a very relaxed Brian in its place. “I have an idea about a new show that involves fractals.”

“A new show? Sidney hasn’t launched your Seasons show yet.”

“I know but lately I’ve been thinking in colors.”

“You always think in colors, Sunshine. That’s what makes you so good,” Brian murmured his praises in that husky lust-filled whisper that never failed to stimulate Justin, in more ways than one.

Clearing his throat, Justin went on with his explanation. “I’d like to work in a different medium, actually several mediums and then marry them together.”

“Like us?” Brian quickly asked then added, “Which mediums?” Brian hugged the younger man closer.

“Paint, computer graphics and music. I want to paint a subject such as a flower or snowflake, try to find a fractal representation of the subject then morph them together somehow. And then set the whole thing to music.”

“Hmm, that’s a very interesting idea.”

“You’re not just humoring me?” Justin was skeptical.

“Not at all. You’re a modern artist, using modern mediums such as a computer. It was a computer program that rekindled your artistic spirit. There’s no reason why you can’t use it again. May I make a suggestion?”

“Does it involve us in a large soft bed?”

“Eventually,” Brian snarked. “I suggest you enlist the expertise of Kenneth Mann. He is a renowned computer graphic artist, and speak to some of your old professors at PIFA. You may find a young filmmaker that might share your vision. Who knows, one day you may just be a ‘staah’ and win an Oscar for an animated short.”

Justin poked Brian in the gut then got up off the chaise. Holding out his hand for Brian, they retired to their room and their very large, soft bed to create a bit of chaos of their own before drifting off to sleep.



*****



Gus snuggled down in his bed. He reached for his cell phone getting ready to call his “boyfriend”. God, he loved that word. He had been trying to find a way to make this call for hours, ever since his mother had driven him back to Pittsburgh, but he had to spend some family time with his other mother when she returned from work. Then they had had a snack before bed, since no one was very hungry after all the food at Edna’s Treasures earlier in the afternoon. Now Gus had some time to himself, and he could finally do what he wanted to do – talk to Cole.

Gus started to dial the number and then hesitated. He had to explain to Cole that they needed to be careful about when and where they met. Gus knew his father was very suspicious about what they had been doing. Now that Brian Kinney knew that Cole was in town, people would be watching them. His father had spies everywhere.

Gus knew he had got off lightly, because of Patrick’s unfortunate accident. If that hadn’t happened Gus would have had a lot more explaining to do to his father. Patrick breaking his arm had distracted everyone. And then with the barbecue, Brian had not found the time or inclination to grill his son. He was too busy grilling burgers and steaks. Gus breathed a sigh of relief over that lucky happenstance.

He pushed the speed dial number for Cole and waited. After a couple of rings, Cole picked up.

“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole said in his most seductive voice.

“Hey,” Gus responded feeling his dick grow hard at the sound of Cole’s voice.

“I hope you’re calling to ask me to meet you somewhere … like right now.”

Gus hesitated. “I can’t meet you tonight,” he said as gently as he could, hoping it wouldn’t make Cole mad.

“It’s been two fucking days. I need you,” Cole wheedled.

“I need you too, but I can’t sneak out. My father knows you’re here.”

“How the fuck did he find out?”

“We raced all over Liberty Avenue and ran into Uncle Ben … literally. You think they wouldn’t mention that to my father?”

“Fuck!”

“Yeah, double fuck,” Gus agreed.

“So where can we meet?”

“I … I don’t know,” Gus said wracking his brain for a good place.

“What about the loft? It was great last time,” Cole suggested.

“It was good, wasn’t it?” Gus said growing hard as he remembered what they had done.

“So, the loft it is,” Cole replied making it a cut and dried statement.

“Um … sure, why not?” Gus said. If they were careful and cleaned up after themselves, nobody had to know they were ever there.

“Good,” Cole agreed quickly. He was looking forward to checking out more of the loft and maybe helping himself to some more of those bills he had found. The others were gone already. He had pawned the signet ring, but it wasn’t worth much.

“Meet me at ten tomorrow morning?” Gus asked.

“That’s too early. I wasn’t planning on getting up till noon.”

“Oh,” Gus said, not at all happy that Cole wasn’t as eager to get together as he was.

“Make it two o’clock. I can hardly wait.”

“Me too,” Gus said with a smile on his face. “Um … how does a little phone sex sound at the moment?”

“Not bad,” Cole whispered huskily as Gus began to stroke himself.

“I’m going to eat your ass when we get together tomorrow,” Cole told him.

Gus felt his cock twitch in his hand at those words. “Mmm,” he moaned.

“That’s it, baby cakes. Come for me, come hard.”

Gus pulled harder on his dick feeling his orgasm build. One more stroke, he thought as he gave his cock a final tug. He groaned loudly as he shot his load all over his hand. “Fuck!” he moaned into the phone.

“Yeah, we’ll do that before long too,” Cole promised him. “Sleep well, baby cakes. I want you all rested and ready for me tomorrow.”

“I will be,” Gus replied, before he heard Cole cut the connection.

Gus reached for a tissue to clean himself off. He felt better, having got off, but it wasn’t the same as being with his “boyfriend”. Tomorrow would be great. He just knew it. He could hardly wait. With a happy smile on his face he rolled over and fell asleep.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 7





About quarter to two, Gus was making his way along Tremont to his father’s loft. He didn’t want to be late for his tryst with Cole. Gus giggled to himself at his thoughts of this encounter being called a tryst. He had learned that word in school last spring when they were reading some novel from the last century. It was a word out of that time period or even earlier. What he and Cole were having today was hardly a tryst. It was a fuck, pure and simple, a fuck.

Gus frowned as he realized that there was very little romance in his relationship with Cole, but that was … okay. Gus was all right with that. They were both getting something out of it, and it was fun, and exciting, especially because it was a little bit forbidden, at least by Gus’ father.

Gus could hardly wait to see Cole. He just wished that Cole was a little more eager to see him. Sometimes Cole didn’t seem all that enthusiastic about them getting together. He seemed to be ready to walk away when things didn’t go the way he wanted. That always made Gus feel like he had to try harder. Maybe it was because Cole was older and more experienced. Gus realized that Cole still thought Gus was older than he was, so maybe that was how he treated someone who was almost nineteen just as Cole was. Cole had probably had other relationships, unlike Gus for whom this was his first. He’d have to ask Cole about his previous lovers one of these times. Maybe he could ask him about his first time. It would be interesting to know about that. The trouble was that when he was with Cole, he had trouble thinking about anything. His mind went right to his dick, and that was all he could concentrate on. However, that wasn’t exactly a bad thing. Gus smiled to himself.

As he approached the loft building, Gus noticed that someone was at the front door of the structure. He seemed to be pressing buttons and trying to get in. Suddenly Gus realized that it was Cole. He was there early, just like Gus was. Cole was eager to see him. Gus’ heart soared.

“Cole,” Gus called as he ran the last part of the block to get to Cole as soon as possible.

“Shit!” Cole said as he spun around and found his arms full of Gus. “You scared me,” Cole said hastily.

“Did you think I was already inside?” Gus asked with a big smile on his face.

“Yeah, yeah, that’s it exactly,” Cole agreed quickly.

“I knew you couldn’t wait to see me. Let’s go inside.”

“Yeah, let’s.” Cole leaned over Gus’ shoulder as Gus pushed the buttons to release the door. He pretended to be nibbling on Gus’ ear, but he was really memorizing the code to get into the building.

“Stop that,” Gus giggled, “until we get upstairs.”

“I can’t wait,” Cole said, yanking the door open and pulling Gus inside. He planted a blistering kiss on the boy before they ran up the stairs. The elevator would take much too long.

Gus unlocked the loft and keyed in the alarm code. Cole was all over Gus’ back, draped atop the boy watching the code that he was using for the alarm.

“Come on,” Cole said grabbing Gus and hauling him inside. They didn’t even get the door closed before Cole started to drag Gus towards the bedroom.

“No,” Gus said, leaning back to stop Cole from dragging him up to the bedroom. “I can’t do it up there.”

Cole let out a long suffering sigh. “Fuck! Okay, let’s get that fucking futon ready.”

Gus smiled at him and leaned in for a passionate kiss. “I’ll pull it out of the alcove. You close the door. We don’t want to be interrupted.”

Cole grinned. “Definitely no interruptions.” He walked to the loft door. There he stopped, making sure Gus was busy dragging the futon out into the middle of the loft. He leaned on the button that released the front door of the building. He glanced outside the loft door making sure that the keys were still in the door where Gus had used them to get inside. He waited for a moment until he saw his cousin, Lex, come up the stairs. Lex winked at his cousin, before Cole slid the door shut. He didn’t bother to lock it.

“Come on, Cole,” Gus called. “I’m ready.”

Cole turned to see a naked and already aroused Gus laying on the futon playing with himself. Cole took a leap and dove in on top of his prey.

“You’re wearing too many clothes,” Gus murmured as he sucked on Cole’s bottom lip. They were wrestling on the thick futon cushion. . Cole, used to being the aggressor and the top in his ‘encounters’ was slightly shocked at Gus’ enthusiasm and natural strength. With very little need of imagination, Cole could envision the older Kinney laying on top of him, worrying his lips and groping at his dick.

“You’re still overdressed,” Gus whispered in his father’s voice, arching that famous eyebrow. Cole nodded slowly removing his clothes, teasing Gus shamelessly. Gus shifted a little so that Cole had room to work, appreciating Cole’s nice body. Cole decided to use Gus’ ardor to his advantage, giving Lex the time he needed.

Cole smiled invitingly at Gus. Gus took that smile as his cue to pounce. Rolling on top of his boyfriend, Gus recaptured Cole’s lips. Rutting young bodies pressed hard against each other. Gus felt Cole’s hand running up and down his back, attempting to delve into areas where no one had ever delved before. Not quite ready to go there, Gus clenched his butt cheeks together. Cole took the hint but continued his caress of Gus’ back.

Knowing how fast ‘little boys’ shoot their load, Cole slowed things down a bit. Working his hand between them, Cole grabbed Gus’ erection low on its shaft, successfully quelling the urge to come. The tactic worked, giving Gus time to kiss his way down Cole’s belly toward his dick. Summoning up what little experience he had, Gus attempted to suck out Cole’s brains through his dick. Swallowing what he could, Gus rolled onto his back waiting for Cole to recover.

“Turn about is fair play,” Cole purred as he swooped down to engulf Gus’ cock. Cole prolonged his oral assault on Gus for as long as he could then allowed Gus to come. Gus shot his load down Cole’s throat then feel into a sated sleep.

Cole waited a few minutes to make sure Gus was sleeping. He eased himself off the futon and pulled on his jeans. He got up carefully making sure not to wake Gus. He wanted to look around some more and see what other valuable stuff he could find.

Before he did that he walked over to the loft door where it was still open a crack. He looked through the slit and didn’t see anyone. He frowned. He thought he had given Lex long enough to take the key out of the loft door and get it copied at the shop they had scoped out the day before. He was about to turn away when he saw Lex’ head appear in the stairwell. He waited.

“Done,” Lex whispered through the opening of the door. He held out the keys to Cole.

“Put them back in the door,” Cole whispered. “I’ll meet you around the corner as soon as I can.”

Walking past the living room area, Cole noted the BOSE sound system and the plasma TV. They had to be worth a pretty penny even if they’d only get a fraction of the price for them. He glanced over at the portrait of the naked man. That was so huge that he didn’t think they’d be able to get it out of the building without drawing attention to themselves. Too bad. It looked like it could be valuable.

Cole headed up the steps to the bathroom. From the upper level he looked down at Gus making sure the boy was still napping. Too bad the kid was so naïve. They could have made a good team if he had brought Gus over to the dark side. Cole smiled to himself and then shook his head.

He went to the tall chest and pulled open the drawer where he had found the money the last time he was in the loft. It was still there just as he had left it. He was about to peel off a few more bills when he stopped. Why didn’t he take the whole fucking thing? He was about to pocket it, when he remembered the key to the loft that he and Lex now possessed. He took a couple of bills from the roll and placed the rest back in the drawer.

He looked at the painting above the dresser. If Lex’ information was correct it would be a Justin Taylor original, and it would be worth a pile of money. He could see the JT painted in the corner. And then there was that painting of Gus’ obnoxious little sister. But first, they’d have to figure out how to dispose of the paintings. They couldn’t just take them to a pawn shop, like Cole had done with the signet ring. If they could find the right person maybe they could take the Naked Man painting too. Cole decided the paintings would have to wait until they looked into a way of fencing them.

Cole opened the closet. There was nothing immediately visible that caught his attention. He flipped through the clothes hanging there and noted the tuxedoes and the designer labels. Old man Kinney had good taste if nothing else. A small cardboard box at the back of the cupboard caught Cole’s attention. He opened it carefully and found a small metal statue of a … man. He supposed it was a man but it was rather abstract. Cole turned the statue around looking at it from all angles. It was shiny and he supposed it might be valuable, but he sure didn’t get what it was all about. It had been wrapped in felt, and he noticed some other bulges under more felt. He quickly looked, discovering there were four statues in all, obviously a set. They had to be worth something. He quickly wrapped them back up and shoved the box to the back of the closet. He thought he heard Gus stirring.

“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole said with a big smile as he came down the steps from the bedroom. “Time to rise and shine.”

“Where were you?” Gus asked rubbing at his eyes.

“The bathroom,” Cole said quickly.

“I didn’t hear the toilet.”

“Believe it or not I was cleaning up after our exploits,” Cole grinned. “I think we wore each other out.”

“Yeah, it was great. Um … what time is it?”

“About ten after three.”

“I better get going. I have to pick up JR from her friend’s at four.”

“Okay.”

Gus quickly pulled his shorts and T-shirt on, and then got Cole to help him reposition the futon in its proper spot. When that was done, Gus looked around the loft, making sure nothing was out of place.

Finally they headed to the loft door. “Shit!” Gus said feeling in his pocket for his key. “What the fuck did I do with my key?”

Cole shrugged. He knew where the key was, but he was going to let Gus discover that for himself.

“What did I do with it?” Gus asked in frustration after going through his pockets once more.

“You were in an awful hurry to get in here,” Cole prompted.

“I didn’t leave it in the door, did I?” Gus asked. He yanked the door back and saw the key still hanging in the lock. “How could I have been so stupid! Anybody could have taken the key or could have come in while we were…”

“But nobody did,” Cole told him. “It was just a silly mistake.”

“Don’t let me do that again,” Gus warned him.

Cole liked the sound of that. He could use a few more rounds with Gus Kinney. He wasn’t half bad. “I can’t help it if I’m irresistible,” Cole chuckled.

“You are, you know,” Gus agreed throwing his arms around Cole’s neck and kissing him.

“I know, but you should restrain yourself in public,” Cole teased.

“I can’t help myself,” Gus replied but he took a furtive look over his shoulder. “This building is full of my father’s friends.”

“No shit!” Cole said. He was glad to know that piece of information. He and Lex would have to be even more careful.

“Let’s go,” Gus said, locking the door.

Cole followed him down the stairs.



*****



Gus headed off immediately and Cole pretended to walk in the opposite direction. Lex fell into step with him as he rounded the corner of the building.

“Aren’t we going back?” Lex asked, looking back.

“No, I think we better play this carefully,” Cole replied.

“What do you mean?”

“Gus tells me that the building is rented to a bunch of his father’s friends. We’re going to have to be careful about when we go in and out.”

“Shit! This was supposed to be easy.”

“It’ll be worth whatever trouble it takes.”

“What do you mean?”

“I got a few bills while I was in there. Let’s go get some beer and I’ll tell you what I’m thinking.”

“Okay, but I hope it’s good.”

“It’s good all right. What do you know about people who might fence electronics or art?”

“Electronics maybe,” Lex said with a frown.

“What about art work?”

Lex shook his head. “But maybe the guy I know who handles electronics might know someone who handles art.”

“Good thought. I think this is our gravy train and I intend to milk it for all its worth,” Cole informed him.

Lex didn’t quite get the mixed metaphor, but whatever Cole was trying to say, it sounded like a profitable enterprise for them both.



*****



“Dada!” Bree yelled up to the balcony office where her father was working. Stacey had e-mailed Brian copies of N’rgy’s latest contracts and pictures of the newly renovated office. Brian was quite pleased.

‘She who must be obeyed,’ thought Brian as he got up from his desk to stand at the balcony rail.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian dutifully answered his demanding daughter.

“Patrick and me want to go to the stream,” Bree said emphatically.

“That’s Patrick and I, Squirt,” Brian replied then quickly held up his hand to thwart Briana’s inevitable response.

John was having a busy day in Harrisburg, Bobby was in court for the afternoon. Justin was needed in Pittsburgh by Sidney; that left Brian to look after the kids. After lunch, Bree decided that Patrick needed her to read to him. Bree and Patrick had situated themselves on a chaise, with Brian’s help and then Bree began to read one of her favorite books out loud. About thirty minutes later both kids were out for the count. The stress of the past two days wore them out. They slept peacefully for the next hour.

It was a beautiful summer day. There was no reason not to take advantage of it.

“Okay, Squirt. You go get our picnic blankets and I’ll pack up some snacks for us. Beau can come with us. He deserves an afternoon out too.”

“Good plan, Dada!” Bree said as she went to the closet that contained the picnic blankets while Brian went to the kitchen to pack up goodies and drink boxes for two active children.

Armed with a bottle of sunscreen and making sure Patrick’s arm was correctly situated in his sling, Brian led his troops down to the stream.

“Watch me, Patrick!” Bree called out to her cousin. She was splashing just past the water’s edge. Brian and Patrick had made themselves comfortable on the blanket. Beau was standing vigil, his attention focused on the blond cherub splashing gleefully in the cool stream.

Brian had Patrick sitting in the shade, with a protective cap on his head and sipping a cool drink. Aside from inheriting Bobby and Rachel’s red hair, Patrick had inherited their pale skin as well. Quite used to dealing with pale skin, Brian had slathered both children with sunscreen.

“Uncle Bri, will my cast come off before the summer is over?” Patrick asked sadly. He longed to go into the water too.

“I don’t think so, Little Red,” Brian answered honestly. Patrick sighed loudly. “She looks like she’s having so much fun.” Patrick gave a little pout as only a son of drama queens could. Brian held back his chuckle.

“There’s no reason why you can't wade into the water,” Brian said reasonably.

“But what if my cast gets wet? Doctor Grandpa Dan said the cast is supposed to stay dry.”

“You let me worry about that,” Brian said confidently then started removing some additional ‘equipment’ from his pack. A few minutes later Patrick was hip deep in the cool water of the stream.

“Hey,” a soft voice came from behind Brian.

“Hey, yourself,” Brian replied. “How was your afternoon?”

“Over, thank you very much and I have the rest of the week to spend at home.”

“I think your young man will appreciate it.”

“Look at me, Poppa!” Patrick waved his good arm at his father as Bree splashed him. The kids were laughing as they were enjoying the water. Beau remained steadfast at his task.

“Very ingenious wrapping up his arm like that,” Bobby complimented his brother-in-law.

“I’m sure you and John came up with the same idea when Patrick had his shower the other night.”

“Actually, we gave him a bath, his arm stayed out of the tub,” Bobby said with a meek smile and a shrug. Brian chuckled. “I guess we’re not as smart as you are,” Bobby murmured wistfully.

“No, it means that you and your partner were very anxious parents and anxious parents don’t always think straight. But now that life is returning to normal around here,” Brian said, as he waved his hand in the direction of the kids who were now searching the water’s edge for frogs. “You and John will be equally as ingenious.”

“Was that a compliment, Kinney?”

“Maybe,” Brian smirked at his brother-in-law.

“Dadaaa!” Bree called out with a giggle, a giggle that told Brian to expect trouble. Patrick was just as giggly as Bree.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian answered as he winked at Bobby.

“I got you something,” Bree announced with a smile.

“You did?” Brian asked innocently, knowing full well what that something might be. “What is it?”

“This!” Bree held out her hand. She was clutching a pretty bunch of wild flowers. Before Brian could accept her precious gift, Patrick slipped a small frog into Brian’s hand.

“Why you little devils!” Brian exclaimed with the proper amount of horror in his voice. “I’ll get you for this,” he growled as Bree took off down the path with her Dada lagging behind. Bobby and Patrick knew Brian was purposely going slow.

“Uncle Bri really isn’t scared of frogs, is he, Poppa?” Patrick asked his father, already knowing the answer.

“Nah, your Uncle Brian is one of the bravest men I know. Just like you and your daddy.” Bobby gave his son a hug then ruffled his flaming red hair. They packed up their gear and headed back to the cottage. Beau nosed the poor little frog back toward the stream just before following his family home.


Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 8





About a week after copying the keys to Brian’s loft, Cole and Lex were sitting in a small booth at the Liberty Diner at three in the morning. They had drank up all of Lex’s beer and eaten anything remotely palatable in Lex’s dive of an apartment. They were hungry and between them had enough money for a couple of burgers and fries.

“I don’t understand why we haven’t cleaned out the loft yet,” Lex whined as he bit into his pickle and pushed away the coleslaw.

“Because, you idiot, we need to stake out the place for a while to see who lives there,” Cole explained to his not so smart and impatient cousin. “And when they go in and out of the building.”

Since Lex worked at the Big Q most days, Cole was keeping a watch on the place during the day. Lex kept an eye on the place after work and the two of them were taking turns over the weekend. They needed to score soon because Cole was running out of money. Lex’s job barely supported him, and unless Cole intended to find legitimate work, they needed to get their hands on some cash.

“Oh,” Lex mumbled around a French fry. “What about baby Kinney?”

“What about him?”

“You do the nasty with him yet?” Lex jeered.

“Not yet but he’s been earning his keep in other ways,” Cole replied.

“How?”

“He’s been telling me all about who lives at the building. So far they’re just a bunch of old fags. They keep pretty regular hours, so if we hit the place about ten or eleven in the morning, the building should be empty.”

“What about my job?”

“Call in sick, stupid!”

“Oh, yeah. Is it true that football guy lives there?”

“What football guy?” Lex told Cole all about Drew Boyd and what a legend he had become in the community, and even though Lex was just a kid when Drew had come out, Lex never forgot about it.

“What the fuck do I care about some old fag who came out when I was a baby? Besides, the Ironmen are semi-pro, they don’t count. Now if it was the Jets or the Giants...” Cole tried to boast about the NY teams. Lex just sucked on his straw, drinking down his soda. He was smart enough not to mention to his NY snob cousin that the Jets and the Giants really played in New Jersey.

“So what’s your boyfriend been up to lately?” Lex redirected the conversation.

“He got a part time job at some bookstore that his grandmother works at. It keeps him out of my way and puts a few bucks in his pocket.”

“Which he’s happy to lend to you,” Lex snarked.

“Yup, stupid bastard. But he also told me that his old man has been sticking close to home, meaning he won’t be at the loft to spoil our fun.”

“No shit, maybe the kid’s good for more than just a quick blowjob.”

Lex and Cole started laughing, breaking the relative quiet of the diner and catching the attention of one Carl Horvath, formerly, Detective Horvath, now retired. He had left Babylon for the night and stopped in for a quick coffee and lemon bar before heading home to his nice quiet house that he contentedly shared with his wife. Before he left the diner, he took a mental snapshot of the new and loud faces. Carl planned on discussing them with Debbie. If anyone knew anything about anyone on Liberty, it would be Debbie.

“So you think we should hit the place later this week?” Lex asked hopefully.

“Yeah, the sooner I get out of this town the better, but we gotta be careful. Gus isn’t stupid; he’ll figure it out sooner or later.”

“Keep using that charm of yours, cuz,” Lex snarked.

“You just line up where we can fence the shit we get and leave baby Kinney to me.”

The unscrupulous cousins clinked soda glasses, belched then laughed louder this time, catching the eye of Lacy who had come in to do an early shift.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine, rise and shine!” Brian taunted his partner unmercifully.

“Aw Mom, I don’t wanna go to school,” Justin whined as he buried himself under his pillow until the loud smack and sting of his right butt cheek told him different. “Ow!”

“Up! I have to go into the Pitts today. John has been gone for hours and Bobby has to go back to work. It’s your turn to see to the young’uns.”

“Shit, I forgot about that,” Justin said rubbing his ass as he got out of bed. Brian kissed his sleepy spouse then turned him around to kiss the offended area.

“There’s a fresh pot of coffee in our kitchen with your name on it. Bree is feeding Patrick breakfast and the toasted English muffins are in the warmer. I won’t be late. Ted and Allen are coming up here with Emmett and Drew for the week. I just want to make sure Kinnetik is covered,” Brian explained to Justin.

Justin smiled brilliantly at his thoughtful and all caring spouse. Brian was in full take charge mode, right down to his summer weight Prada business suit.

“I love you,” was all Justin could say. He knew Brian had purposely let him sleep late.

“I know,” Brian smirked. “Later.”

“Later,” Justin replied as he quickly donned his clothes then sped into the bathroom so he could attend to the kids and the day.



*****



“Schmidt!” Brian entered Kinnetik with his inimitable style, scattering artists, ad men and assistants in his wake.

“Yes, Boss,” Schmidt replied, unflustered but giving Brian the expected groveling.

“Why are you here?” Brian asked as he laid his briefcase down on the nearest desk.

“Philosophically speaking, Brian, why are any of us here? Just think of all the millions of elements, the circumstances, the...”

“Thank you, Carl Sagan.” Brian held up his hand to ward off the lecture. “I take it Allen was away with the symphony this weekend and you overdosed on the Science Channel again.” Ted gave Brian a thin lipped smile as he nodded. “Be that as it may, I do believe you’ve been shirking your duties.”

“Shirking his duties?” Cynthia stepped up. She knew how hard Ted worked at the main branch of Kinnetik. “How can you say that?” Cynthia was about to face off with Brian.

“Easily,” Brian replied calmly with an arched brow, well aware of how many pots Ted had his hands in. There were Kinnetik and N’rgy that directly reported to Ted. Part Deux and Perspectives each had their own CFO but consulted with Ted on a weekly basis. Then there were Brian’s other holdings that included Babylon, the bathhouse, the theater and bowling alley. Even though a portion of those profits went to the JKCDC they still lined Brian’s already thick pockets. Then of course there was the Tremont building and now the Village project.

Ted Schmidt had his eyes on it all. And Brian had his eyes on Ted.

“Brian,” Cynthia growled on Ted’s behalf.

“Ted, pack up your shit and get out...” Brian stated calmly.

“Yes, Boss,” Ted said softly.

“BRIAN! You’ve gone too far!” Cynthia was at the ready to defend her co-worker and close friend.

“And enjoy your vacation,” Brian continued without giving Cynthia a glance.

“Vacation! You son-of-a-bitch! You let me go on...” Cynthia was blushing red as Brian folded her into his arms. “You, you asshole!” she murmured against Brian’s chest as Ted and Brian began laughing, as did the rest of the staff. Brian kissed her cheek then apologized.

“It was a last minute thing,” Brian explained. “The Ironmen season won’t start for a few more weeks. The symphony is now on hiatus until the Fall season. Emmett and Drew’s other businesses are running smoothly, so we decided it was a perfect time for the Ted to take off. He says a week; I’m thinking Kinnetik can afford two weeks without his smiling face.”

“I agree. If there’s anyone around here that deserves a vacation, it’s Ted,” Cynthia agreed wholeheartedly.

“So I repeat, why are you here?” Brian asked with his own growl. Cynthia and the rest of the Kinnetik staff who all loved their CFO gazed pointedly at the accountant.

Knowing resistance was beyond futile, Ted packed up whatever he needed, shut down his computer and left the building, bidding all the well-wishers a good day.

“My work here is done!” Brian said smugly then followed Cynthia into her office to get an update.

“How did you ever convince him?” Cynthia asked as she sat at her desk. Brian took a seat across from her.

“It wasn’t easy, he’s almost as stubborn as ...”

“You?”

“I was going to say Justin, but yeah, like me too. I noticed it when he and Allen came up for that little impromptu barbecue we had for Patrick.”

“How is Patrick?”

“Better but the cast stays on for a few more weeks.”

“Poor kid. Broken bones are never good, but during the summer...”

“Yeah, but he’s tough, he can handle it. But not so our Mr. Schmidt. Everyone around us manages to take some time off except for Theodore. I think he works twice as hard as all of us.”

“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney,” Cynthia commented with a hug and a kiss as she came around from her desk.

“That’s enough of that,” Brian grumbled as he batted away her hands. “Bottom line, the four of them are heading up to the cottage later today and we’re going to try to get Ted to stay for two weeks. He can run the empire just as well as I can from his laptop. Although I have it on good authority, Teddy won’t have access to his laptop for several days.” Brian smirked and Cynthia chuckled.

“Where are you planning on hiding it?”

“Under my bed,” Brian retorted. The Kinnetik staff wondered what was so funny as they heard the peals of laughter emanating from Cynthia’s office.

With Kinnetik left in the capable hands of Cynthia, Brian decided to make the rounds before heading back to the cottage.



*****



“Sweetheart!” Debbie said loudly above the diner noise, stopping only to give Brian a kiss as she delivered her breakfast orders. “What brings you here today?” she asked as she poured a cup of coffee when Brian sat at the counter.

“Just making sure my CFO lives up to his promise and takes a vacation,” Brian remarked, as he doctored up his coffee before giving it a sip.

“You’re a good man, kiddo,” Debbie said confidentially. “How long is he going for?”

“He’s promised a week but we’re going to make him take two.”

“He deserves it. He’s been running all around town supervising the gangs’ projects and I heard he’s going to take over Wertshafters.”

“Yes, apparently old man Wertshafter retired years ago and left the business to his son who proceeded to run it into the ground. Even though the old man gave Ted the boot, Ted always had a soft spot for that place. He figures he can buy out the firm for a song and then staff it with whomever he pleases. It’ll be easier for Ted to manage all our businesses from one firm. Why he didn’t think of it sooner, I’ll never know.”

“Maybe cause he’s been so busy helping to take care of us just like you do, he doesn’t take time for himself.”

“Well, Maw, we’re going to change all of that and make the accounting firm of Schmidt a reality! Deb, what’s wrong?” Brian noticed Debbie’s eyes grow moist.

“My boys, all of my boys have done so well for themselves, all grown up.” Debbie patted her eyes dry with a tissue from her pocket. “You don’t need me anymore,” she added with more tears.

“Aw, Maw, we’ll always need you,” Brian reassured the aging waitress. He walked around the counter to give the woman who was a mother to him a hug. “Me, especially,” Brian whispered into a red wigged ear.

“I love you too, kiddo,” Debbie sniffled as she wrapped up a bunch of lemon bars for Brian to take back to the cottage. “Now get out of here so I can get back to work.” Debbie kissed the side of Brian’s cheek, wiped away the smudge of lipstick then gave him a gentle cuff to his ear.

Brian took the bag then headed off to visit his other mother.



*****



“A-hem, am I interrupting?” Brian cleared his throat loudly as he found Joan and Danny huddled closely over a very large volume. Joan raised a brow as Danny jumped.

“No, of course not, Brian,” Danny stuttered quickly. Joan remained stoic. “What brings you over to this side of town?”

“Just thought I’d take my Mom for a cup of coffee, if you can spare her.” Brian nearly glared at the hapless retired drag queen.

“Of course I can spare her. We were just examining this out of print book I managed to find at an auction. Joan remarked that she thought it looked familiar.” Danny gently patted the large book. Brian came closer for a better look.

“I know this book,” Brian murmured. Picking up a spare pair of cotton gloves that Danny had to examine the older books, Brian gingerly opened the book to the center plate. Staring back up at Brian, Joan and Danny was John Aidan Brian Kinney.

“That’s you,” Danny gasped.

“Not me by a long shot. However, he is a long ‘found’ relative of mine.”

“And the blond boy?” Danny easily put two and two together.

“Patrick Taylor, distantly related to my own blond boy. But this is old news,” Brian said then turned his attention to his mother. “Do you have time for that coffee?”

“Yes, I do,” Joan answered sensing there was something else on Brian’s mind than just coffee. “Danny, I won’t be long,” Joan reassured Danny who was still reading about Kinney.

“What is it, Brian?” Joan asked as she sipped her iced tea. It was very hot so they decided to skip the coffee and enjoy iced tea at the Village diner instead.

“Gus! Something’s up and I’m not sure what to do about it,” Brian said pensively. “I think that kid who he met in New York is here.”

“That Cole person?”

“Yes. I don’t trust that kid, but I do trust Gus. I don’t want to forbid Gus from seeing him; he’ll just do it anyway on the sly. We have an open line of communication and I don’t want that to change but I’ve been sticking close to the cottage since Patrick got hurt.”

“How is the boy?”

“He’ll be fine. Bree will see to that. She takes her responsibilities very seriously. But the boy’s moping all the time because he can’t go riding or swimming. I’m afraid that cast is going to be his best friend for the rest of the summer.”

“The poor child.”

“He’ll get over it. But this is a busy time for John. Bobby’s been working on some big cases and Justin’s new show will be opening soon.”

“So that leaves you to look after the children.”

“Which I don’t mind at all but...”

“That leaves Gus to his own devices.”

“Yes, it does. Mom, I hate to ask but since Gus will be working at the store for the remainder of the summer, could you keep an eye on him for me?”

“You want me to spy on my grandson?”

“Yeah, I do. At the very least, be my eyes and ears so I’ll know if he needs me. Lindsay’s just as busy as Justin at the gallery and Melanie is clueless about teenage boys.”

“Brian, everyone is clueless about teenage boys. But I’ll make sure Gus knows he can come to me if he needs to. He’s been very helpful instructing me about computers. I’m even considering buying a basic model for the house. I can e-mail my other grandchildren to stay in touch.”

Brian gazed at his mother in astonishment.

“Not good?”

“Very good. Welcome to the twenty-first century, Mom!” Mother and son finished their iced tea then Brian walked Joan back to the bookshop. Brian kissed his mother and took his leave.



*****



“Hey, Lexy,” Cole whispered loudly into his cell. He was hiding in the alley by the Tremont apartments. “That football guy and his fairy friend just drove off with that accountant guy and some other old geezer. They had suitcases with them. I think our luck has finally changed. I’m gonna see if I can get Gus to tell me if they’ve gone off for a few days then we can get to work. I’m gonna call the kid now and make a ‘date.’ Bet he can’t wait. Yeah, I’ll see you later. If I’m right, dinner’ll be on me tonight. Ha!”

Cole stepped out from the shadows and boldly walked down the street dialing Gus’ cell at the same time. Cautiously, Hunter, who often used the alley door of the apartment house, stepped out of the small alcove and watched as Cole walked away. He quickly made a phone call.

“Liberty Diner, Debbie speaking.”

“Deb, it’s me, Hunter.”

“Hiya, honey, want me to drop off something for you and your doctor for later tonight?”

“What? No, I mean, yeah, sure but that’s not why I called. Is Carl home?”

“Yeah, he should be just getting up, why?”

“I need to talk shop with him.”

“All right, honey, you do that, but be careful. I worry about my boys.”

“I know, Deb. I love you too. See you later.”

“Okay, sweetheart.”

Hunter made sure he was in the clear then walked around the corner to where he parked the aging, but still purring like a kitten, Jeep Cherokee Justin had given him all those years ago. He could well afford a newer model but it just didn’t fit his image as the Hunter-man. Hunter started up the Jeep and drove over to Debbie’s house.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 9





“Come on, Curtis,” Hector called. “We’re going to be late.”

“Coming,” Curtis replied from the back of the vet clinic. He had been feeding some of the cats that were staying at the clinic while their owners were on summer vacation. He really enjoyed the cats and that had become his summer job, looking after the cats who were being boarded.

“We better get a move on,” Hector said as he grabbed his wallet out of the desk and took off his lab jacket. He hung it on the door and Curtis picked up his bag from the office. They walked out of the clinic, calling goodbye to Raph.

“You ready for this?” Hector asked as they got in the car and headed out of the lot.

“I … I hope so,” Curtis said uncertainly.

“You’ll do fine,” Hector said as he squeezed Curtis’ leg.

“I don’t know about that.”

“I do. You’re brave and determined and you’ll be fine.”

“What … what if I can’t do it?” Curtis asked, his voice quivering just a bit.

“The people there will help you. That’s their job.”

“But maybe I’m just too pathetic.”

“You’re not pathetic at all,” Hector stated firmly. “You will be able to do this.”

Curtis shook his head. “I’m kind of scared,” he whispered. His eyes were glued to the little patch of floor mat between his feet.

“You don’t have to do this at all, if you don’t want to.”

“Really?” Curtis asked looking up.

“We agreed on you taking swimming lessons at the Y, but if you don’t want to do it, we’re not going to make you.” Hector glanced over and met Curtis’ eyes.

“I can do it,” Curtis said. Suddenly he felt like maybe he could. He found his confidence in the warm eyes of Hector.

“That’s my boy,” Hector said with a big smile and a breath of relief.

Curtis smiled wanly and hoped that he really could learn to swim.

They pulled up at the Y where Curtis and Hector headed inside. Curtis carried his bag which contained his swimsuit and a towel. They headed to the sign-in desk. The woman at the desk checked Curtis’ name off on a list and directed him to the change rooms. Hector pulled out his wallet to pay for the first lesson. He opened the wallet only to discover that there were no bills left in it. He frowned and looked again and again, but the thirty-five dollars he knew should be there was nowhere in evidence.

“Um … do you take credit cards?” he asked the woman.

The woman nodded and processed the twenty dollar fee on Hector’s credit card. Hector felt around in his pocket wondering what had happened to his money. When it was nowhere to be found he entered the pool area and headed to the bleachers to watch Curtis take his first lesson.

Everything Curtis and the four other students did was very basic stuff. The instructor was merely trying to get the young men to feel comfortable in the water. Soon the lesson was over and Hector waited in the lobby for Curtis to get changed and reappear.

“I’m ready,” Curtis said as he came out of the change rooms.

“How was it?” Hector asked wondering how Curtis would feel about the simple things the instructor had had them do. They had spent most of their time dunking their heads in the water.

“It was okay,” Curtis said cautiously. “We didn’t learn much. It was kind of the same stuff you and Dr. Raph taught me at the lake.”

Hector smiled. “Yeah, I thought so while I was watching.”

“The instructor said we would do more next week. I think I might be able to do it.”

“Just as I knew you would,” Hector replied with a grin.

“How did you know?”

“I’m psychic,” Hector teased. Then his face grew serious. “Oh, by the way, did you take some cash from my wallet?”

“No, and if you’re psychic, you should know that,” Curtis teased back.

Hector frowned. “All my bills are missing from my wallet.”

“I didn’t steal them,” Curtis said hastily, realizing the implication of Hector’s words. “I promise I didn’t.”

“I didn’t think you had, Curtis.” Hector immediately regretted having brought up his missing money. “I just don’t know what happened to the cash. It was there this morning.”

“I swear I didn’t take it,” Curtis said looking worried.

“I didn’t think you took the money,” Hector reassured him. “I just wondered if you’d seen it.”

Curtis shook his head and grew silent. Maybe this was the thing that would get him thrown out of the home he was growing to love. He’d end up back on the streets or worse … back with the Hardigans. He shuddered involuntarily.

Hector drew the car up to the veterinary clinic and shut it off. They went inside. Curtis headed directly for the cat area at the back. Hector watched him disappear, knowing that he had hurt the boy with his casual comment. He went to find Raph and try to figure out what to do about it.

A few minutes later Hector and Raph joined Curtis who was holding one of the boarded cats in his lap and slowly stroking the animal. Curtis looked up when the two men came into the room.

“I didn’t take any money,” he said holding onto the cat more tightly.

“We know you didn’t,” Raph said. “I took it.”

“Huh?” Curtis asked looking at Dr. Raph.

“I needed some change for a customer who was paying in cash, and I didn’t have enough cash of my own. I took the money out of Hector’s wallet and then I got busy doing something else. I forgot to tell him.”

“I told you I didn’t do it,” Curtis said to Hector with a hurt look in his eyes.

“I’m sorry, Curtis,” Hector replied squatting down beside the boy. “I really wasn’t accusing you.”

Curtis blinked but didn’t say he forgave Hector. Hector looked up at Raph.

Raph drew in a long breath. “Curtis, there’s something you have to understand.”

Curtis looked at Raph. He waited for the words he knew would come eventually. They hated him and they were going to send him away.

“Curtis, every time someone asks you something or points out a mistake, it does not mean that we’re accusing you. It does not mean that we’re going to send you away. It means that we have a question for you to answer honestly or that there’s something that you need to correct. And that’s all it means. You can trust us. I promise you can. You’re not going to be sent away.”

“Promise?” Curtis whispered.

“I just did,” Raph replied.

“And I promise too,” Hector said.

“Okay,” Curtis said slowly. He believed them this time.

“And that’s never going to change,” Raph added.

Curtis looked into Raph’s eyes and for the first time he realized that maybe that was the truth. He wasn’t sure what the future would bring, but he was beginning to love these men, and what was more amazing, they seemed to love him right back.



*****



“Shh, be quiet,” Cole admonished his cousin.

“Why should I have to be quiet? You said no one was in the building,” Lex responded curtly.

“I think no one’s here but I can’t be sure. Gus said there was a hunter who lives here and some dykes, but I’m not sure which apartments are theirs.”

Cole and Lex had gotten through the main door without too much difficulty since Cole had memorized the pass code. There were two apartments on each floor. One obviously belonged to Emmett and Drew, although obvious to only the family. The front door was adorned by a bright pink and lavender floral wreath surrounding a brightly painted sign that said, ‘Welcome’.

Not taking the chance of running into someone on the elevator, the boys decided to walk up the stairs. They were just about to step on the first riser when they heard footfalls coming down. The boys ducked around to crouch in the elevator.

“You working three to eleven tonight?” Lacy asked her lover and roommate.

“Yes. You?” Katerina asked in return.

“Till midnight.”

“I’ll come by the diner and we can go home together,” Katerina said, placing a tender kiss on Lacy’s lips.

They parted company at the front door.

“Those must be the dykes,” Cole stated with a snort. “But one of them looked too pretty to be a lesbian.”

“Pretty?” Lex asked his very gay cousin.

“For a girl, I mean.” Lex snorted. “Let’s get up there before anyone else decides to leave or come home.” The boys crept quickly up the stairs. The building appeared to be truly empty as Cole and Lex entered the loft.



*****



“Grandma, I think I’ve done something stupid and I’m not sure what to do about it.”

Gus was helping Joan rearrange a table on the second floor of the Bookstore. Danny was at the Comic Book Store with Michael. The latest issue of Rage was out and Sateeena had a long line of fans.

“What do you think you’ve done?” Joan suspected this had to do with the boy Gus met in New York but she didn’t want to presume.

“I’ve been meeting Cole sometimes,” Gus mumbled.

“Meeting him where?”

“Around.”

“Around?”

“Yeah, like at the park or the diner or...”

“Or what.”

“The loft,” Gus murmured.

“The loft. Your father’s loft?” Gus nodded.

“Gus, you know your father...”

“I know, he’s going to kill me.”

“Possibly but that’s not what I was going to say. Your father is a very private man. Only people he trusts have access to his home. And even though your father doesn’t physically live there, that loft is very special to him.”

Gus nodded.

“Gus, I won’t pretend to know all about what happens between gay men. For the majority of my life I believed homosexuality was a sin. And that the diseases they caught, they deserved.”

“What does this have to do with me and Cole?” Gus asked not understanding where Joan was going with all of this.

“I’m sure your parents have had the talk with you. My point is, you must be careful. Young men in their haste can become reckless. You must use protection.”

“Grandma, we don’t, I don’t...I haven’t.” Gus didn’t want to admit to his grandmother that he was still a virgin and yet something told him not to give up his virginity to Cole. Not yet. Joan held up her hand, sparing herself from any details.

“Gus, my advice to you is to talk with your father. You know Brian has a very suspicious mind. It’s best to go to him before he comes to you. If you don’t think you can do that then perhaps Justin can help. You’re lucky to have four very loving parents. Go to them.”

“Yes, ma’am. Grandma, I really like Cole but he makes me feel...” Gus sighed loudly with frustration. He didn’t know how to explain his feelings. Cole excited Gus sexually, and yet made him feel guilty. Cole always seemed to know when Gus had a few dollars in his pocket, because they usually wound up in Cole’s pocket. And Gus certainly did not like bringing Cole up to the loft, but Cole never invited Gus to his place. Joan guided the distraught boy to an overstuffed settee and sat the boy down. Sitting next to her grandson and taking his hand, Joan told Gus a story.

“A long time ago, I remember a campaign geared toward young children who were thought to be at risk for kidnapping or molestation. Your father was probably too old to be affected, but I remember the slogan. It went something like, if you got the ‘uh oh’ feeling about a person then you were probably right. Go and tell an adult about it. Gus, if being with Cole is giving you the ‘uh oh’ feeling then listen to yourself. You’re a good boy, an honest boy with a strong and loving family. We’re not perfect but I’ve learned that this family sticks together, no matter what. Rely on that, rely on what you’ve been taught and what you know to be true. There’s a reason why Cole makes you feel awkward. Trust your gut.”

“Okay, grandma.”

The bell over the door gave a jingle, signaling someone entering the shop.

“Hello! Anybody home?”

“Mom!” Gus jumped up and sprinted down the stairs to his mother. “What are you doing here?”

“Can’t a mother take her hard working son out for a late lunch or a snack break?”

“Sure, that’s if Grandma says it’s okay.” Gus shamelessly batted his eyes at the older woman giving her the puppy dog look. Knowing that fighting that particular look, given by a pair of hazel Kinney eyes would be a waste of time, Joan waved Gus and Lindsay out of the shop. Before Gus walked out, Joan gave him a reminder.

“Gus, remember, your mother loves you unconditionally.” Gus nodded as he left to join his mother.



*****



“Wow, look at this place,” Lex said in awe as he gave himself a tour about the loft. He picked up a couple of heavy glass ashtrays to examine then put them back down. “Where’s the money?” Lex asked Cole who pointed toward the bedroom. A loud whistle accompanied the gasp of surprise. “Look at this fucking bathroom. The shower’s bigger than my whole fucking apartment. A fucking basketball team can shower in here with room for a football team. Shit! Wish I had money like this. Bet he never worked for the Big Q.”

Cole joined his cousin in the bedroom to swipe a few more bills then he rummaged around in the bottom of the closet.

“What the fuck is that?” Lex asked Cole.

“Not sure, I saw them the last time I was here. Some butt ugly weird statues but they gotta be worth something. There’s a whole set.”

“Let’s take two and see what we can get for them. What about the painting?”

“Which one?” Cole looked up at the painting of Bree at Coney Island and then over to the Naked Man.

“The Naked Man. Fuck! He’s butt ugly too. Kinney’s got some weird ass taste.”

“Yeah, and I wouldn’t mind having a taste,” Cole murmured as he picked up a trade magazine. Brian was on the cover in one of his trademark Armani suits. He was truly dressed to impress and was sexier than hell. “Wouldn’t mind having a taste at all.”

“Cole, get your head out of your ass and let’s grab the shit and get out. The painting of the kid is creeping me out.”

The cousins glanced up at Bree running through the surf, then they looked around for anything else small enough to stuff in their pockets. Lex found a silver lighter and Cole found a bronze paper weight. As they were about to leave, they spied the wine refrigerator. The cousins’ eyes lit up as they helped themselves to several bottles.

“I bet we can get a few bucks for some of the wine,” Lex commented.

“Nah!” they said in unison as they locked up the loft and snuck out.



*****



“Mom.”

“What is it, lambskin? Did something happen in New York? You’ve been so unhappy since you came back.” Brian had given Lindsay the heads up that Gus had gotten involved with a boy in New York, but no details.

Gus sighed loudly then spilled his guts.



*****



Later that night as Cole and Lex were toasting their good fortune with stolen merlot, the owner of the pawnshop that paid for Lex and Cole’s booty placed a call.

“Jason Kemp Center.”

“Hunter? It’s Gene.”

“Hey, Gene, what’s up?”

“I’m not sure but I got a few items here that I think you might be interested in.”

“Interested, as in you think some of my kids are slipping back into their former lives?”

“No, interested, as in I think your main man is being ripped off somehow.”

“Shit, how late are you open?”

“I’m closed but I’ll hang until you show.”

“Okay. I’ll be coming by the alley door.”

“You got it, see you soon.”

Hunter left the center as soon as another counselor came in to take over.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 10




“Daddy, me ‘n Patrick need snacks,” Bree stated, as she stood in front of the chaise where Justin was working on his laptop.

“Hm,” Justin said, continuing to work on the design he was playing around with.

“Daddy, snacks!” Bree repeated.

“There’s some carrot sticks in the fridge,” Justin said absently.

“Don’t want healthy snacks.”

“Well, that’s all you’re getting.”

“No!” Bree said forcefully.

“You heard me, young lady,” Justin replied looking up from the screen of his computer.

“Patrick wants cookies.”

“Patrick wants cookies?” Justin questioned.

“Yes,” Bree told him. “Patrick needs cookies to make his arm better.”

“Really?” Justin said with a smile.

Bree bobbed her head. “And chocklet milk for strong bones,” she added.

“What do you know about strong bones?”

“I learned it at school.”

Justin grinned. His daughter was too smart by half. “Okay, I think we can arrange for cookies and chocolate milk this one time,” Justin said giving in to the logic of Princess Bree.

“Yay!” Bree crowed.

Justin set down his laptop and got out of the chaise. “Come with me and we’ll see what we can find in the way of unhealthy snacks.”

Bree slipped her hand into her father’s and they walked to the kitchen. Justin pulled down a bag of Oreos that he kept for emergency purposes. He took out two cookies for each child. He knew there was chocolate milk in the fridge, so he grabbed the quart and poured it into two plastic glasses that had lids that could be snapped on. He placed everything in a bag and handed it to Bree.

“Enjoy!” he said.

“Thanks, Daddy, I love you,” Bree said batting her baby blues at her father.

“And you love me even more when I give you cookies and chocolate milk, right?”

“Yep,” Bree agreed as she ran out into the sun porch. She and Patrick were playing out in the Wendy house.

Justin shook his head and chuckled to himself.

“Where’s she going in such a hurry?” Brian asked as he came into the kitchen from the sun porch. He was wearing his gardening clothes and pulling off his gardening gloves.

Justin looked at his husband. He could see the little rings of sweat that peeked out under Brian’s armpits. There was also a patch of sweat on the front of his T-shirt. Justin knew there would be a matching one on Brian’s back. He imagined his tongue licking all over Brian’s chest.

“Earth to Justin,” Brian said, as he got no response from his spouse.

“Huh?”

“Where the fuck were you?” Brian asked. “I wanted to know where Bree was running off to.”

“Oh … um … she and Patrick are in the Wendy house.”

“And where were you?”

Justin felt his cheeks grow warm.

“You’re blushing,” Brian smirked. “Come on. Spill.”

“I was licking the sweat off your … chest.”

“Were you now?” Brian grinned. “I like the sound of that.”

“So do I,” Justin said. He picked up the bag of Oreos and took one out. “Cookie?” he asked Brian, holding out the bag.

“No thanks. Those things’ll kill ya.”

“Not today,” Justin replied around a mouthful of Oreo.

“If you finish your cookie, I could provide a sweaty chest chaser.”

Justin almost choked on his cookie. “Oh?”

“Have you got time? What about the kids?” Brian asked with a frown.

“Beau’s with them. They’re having their own milk and cookies.”

“Then let’s go for it,” Brian said grabbing Justin’s hand and pulling him towards their bedroom.



*****



Bree skipped into the Wendy house carrying her bag of goodies. “I got cookies and chocklet milk,” she said proudly. Beau raised his head and looked at the children. When everything seemed to be fine with them, he laid his head down and went back to sleep.

“Wow! Your dad let you?” Patrick asked in surprise.

“Yep,” Bree said bobbing her head.

She sat down beside Patrick and opened the bag. She pulled out one glass of milk and handed it to Patrick. He held it against his body and tried to remove the snap on lid with his good hand.

“I do it for you,” Bree said, setting the bag down and carefully removing the lid of Patrick’s milk. She handed the opened glass to Patrick.

“Yum, good,” Patrick said, taking a big gulp. “I didn’t think your dad would give us chocolate milk and cookies.”

“I told him it was good for fixing bones,” Bree said proudly as she handed Patrick a cookie.

“You did?” Patrick grinned.

Bree nodded her head and took a drink of her own milk. “Daddy said we should have carrot sticks, but I wanted cookies and milk.”

“You did good.”

“I know.”

“At least there’s one good thing about having this cast. It got us good snacks.”

“Yeah,” Bree agreed. “Does it hurt?” she asked, looking at Patrick’s arm.

“Naw, it really doesn’t hurt anymore, but it’s hot and itchy.”

“I don’t want a broken arm,” Bree decided.

“I didn’t want one either.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t ride the horses anymore,” Bree said thoughtfully, as she munched on her Oreo.

“I like riding,” Patrick declared.

“But what if you broke your other arm?”

“I don’t care. I like riding.”

“I like it too,” Bree declared.

“But you shouldn’t try to show off when you’re riding,” Patrick told her.

“I shouldn’t?” Bree asked.

“No, that’s what I did, and then I fell off.”

“Oh,” Bree said with a frown. “Why were you showing off?”

“Because you were gone for weeks, and I wanted to show you that I could do something you couldn’t.”

Bree looked thoughtful. “I think there’s lots of things that you can do that I can’t. You shouldn’t show off anymore.”

“I know. I’m not going to. And you shouldn’t either,” Patrick warned her.

“I won’t,” Bree promised. “So, you want to go riding again?”

“Yeah, don’t you?”

“Um … I guess so.”

“Just think, Bree. When we get really good, we could ride the horses all by ourselves. We could go all over the farm.”

“I like that.”

“Me too,” Patrick said with a big smile.

“Just don’t break anything else,” Bree said solemnly.

“I won’t.”

“I love you, Patrick.”

“Love you too.”

“Here’s your other cookie,” Bree said holding out the other Oreo.

“Thanks,” Patrick said smiling from ear to ear. Maybe being in this cast wasn’t so bad after all.



*****



“Fuck, Brian. That was a good one.” Justin rolled onto his back and tried to breathe normally.

“It was you lapping up all my sweat that got me all horny.”

“I’ll have to remember to do that every time you come in from gardening,” Justin giggled.

“I could get used to that.”

“Me too.”

They lay on their backs looking up at the ceiling, letting the closeness of great sex wash over them.

“I guess I should have a shower,” Brian said after a bit.

“I’ll come with you,” Justin volunteered.

Brian sat up. “Sometimes I wish we could shut the rest of the world out, and just live here with no communication with the outside world.”

“That would be nice,” Justin agreed with a smile. “You’re worried about Gus, aren’t you?”

“Yeah,” Brian admitted as he took Justin’s hand and headed for the bathroom towing his husband behind him. “I thought somebody would have called with some information about Gus and that asshole Cole.”

“Maybe they’re cooling it,” Justin suggested as he adjusted the water temperature in the shower.

“Maybe, or they’re being really secretive.”

“I don’t think Gus is secretive.”

“Having a shithead for a boyfriend can make you that way,” Brian said knowingly.

“And what would you know about boyfriends?”

“I saw enough of them screw everything up for someone.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s true,” Justin said thinking back to what had happened with Ted and Blake and Michael and Dr. Dave and… “Maybe one of your spies will call soon.”

Brian glared at Justin for the use of the word spy, but he didn’t deny it as they got into the shower.



*****



“Sweetheart, we’re all here, except for the boys at the cottage, mind telling us why you called an emergency family meeting?” Debbie asked Hunter. The family had gathered at Debbie and Carl’s house at Hunter’s request. John, who had spent the day in Pittsburgh was there as well as Joan, Danny, the Munchers, the girls and more importantly, Gus.

“We’re not all here yet,” Hunter replied then jumped up to answer the doorbell. He greeted the guest then introduced him to the family. “Now, we’re all here.”

“What’s going on, son?” Ben asked.

“I think Brian and Justin have been victims of a crime,” Hunter started to explain. As everyone began to speak all at once, Gus attempted to shrink in his chair. Lindsay and Joan gravitated to the boy’s side in a show of support.

“Guys,” Gus began, very embarrassed about his part in it. Lindsay squeezed his shoulder. “Guys!” Gus said louder, commandeering the family’s attention. “I think this is all my fault.”

“How, honey?” Debbie asked.

“I met this guy in New York, and well, I like him a lot but he’s kinda giving me the ‘uh oh’ feeling,” Gus explained as he glanced toward his mother and Joan for encouragement. Finding it, Gus continued. “I snuck Cole into the loft a couple of times.”

“Oh shit!” came from Debbie and Michael.

“Oh boy!” was heard from Nick and Hunter.

“I’d hate to be you,” Lacy mumbled.

Danny tsked, tsked a few times.

“Hunter, what makes you think Brian and Justin have been victims of a crime. So far the only guilty party around here is Gus, and his only infraction is sneaking his boyfriend into the legendary love nest,” Ben said reasonably, trying to lighten the mood a bit.

“This.” Hunter motioned to Gene who opened a duffle bag and removed the contents to display them on Debbie’s kitchen table.

“Fuck!” most of the family exclaimed. Michael recognized the Metal Men statues and the lighter. John recognized the bronze paperweight since he had given it to Brian for a birthday present one year.

“I am so fucked,” Gus said pathetically.

Melanie scowled but decided to wait until all the evidence was in.

“Gus, what does Cole look like?” Carl asked. He had remembered the new faces and wondered if either one was Cole. Gus pulled out his cell-camera phone to show them all a picture he had taken of Cole at the July Fourth picnic. “I’ve seen this guy at the diner. Deb, this is the kid I told you about." Debbie took a peek at the picture as did everyone in the room.

“Gus, upload the picture onto your computer later tonight then send it to as many of us as you can,” Hunter suggested. “Gene, tell them the rest.”

“The guys who pawned this stuff were also asking about paintings. They gave me a sob story about an old uncle dying and they were helping to clear out the house. That sort of stuff. They weren’t too bright either. I recognized the lighter from, um, well, you know.” Apparently Gene was a former trick of Brian’s who had the privilege of actually seeing the inside of the loft. Plus, the lighter had a very distinctive flair to the monogram. Gene had seen it years ago and never forgot it. He had also remembered the Metal Men.

“Did the guys show you any ID?” Carl asked.

“Yeah, they did. One guy has a Pittsburgh license, the other New York. Carl, you know me and my Dad, we run a legit business. I made copies of their ID’s.” Gene handed over the copies to Carl.

“This Cole guy is twenty-two,” Carl remarked.

“Huh? He told me he was nineteen! I’m such an asshole. How can I be this stupid? I’m so sorry.” Gus slumped even more into Debbie’s soft chair.

“No, lambskin, you were just fooled by him. You have nothing to be sorry about. You made a mistake. We’ve all made mistakes, sweetheart. But you did the right thing by coming to me and your grandmother,” Lindsay consoled her son.

“Gus, your mother’s right,” John agreed. “Now we have to figure out how to catch these guys in the act and not let Brian find out until it’s over. I don’t relish having to visit my brother in prison.”

The family agreed with John. It was almost a given that if Brian caught wind of what was happening in his loft, Brian would eviscerate the culprits and no one would ever find the bodies.

“Babe, did you check out the loft yet to see if anything else was taken?” Nick asked his life partner.

“Not yet. I had planned on doing it today. Emmett goes up once a week when he knows no one's home. The guys have only been at the cottage for a few days. I know Emm checked out the place before they left. He probably didn’t notice anything missing.”

“Those statues have been in the bottom of Brian’s closet for years,” Michael explained. “He used to have them on the ledge in the bedroom then one day they disappeared into the closet. The lighter is for show since no one hardly smokes anymore.”

“The paperweight was on the computer table. I’ve seen him roll it around in his hand when he’s been working,” John added.

“So what are we going to do?” Gus asked with a dejected tone.

“First, young man, you are going to stop blaming yourself,” John said confidently.

“But Uncle John, I really blew it.”

“Gus, your Mom is right. We’ve all made some dumb mistakes in the past. All of us, but we know you’re a good kid. If you weren’t, you’d have never gone to your Mom or admitted your mistake. So get over it and move on.”

Just then Carl cleared his throat loudly to get everyone’s attention.

“Son, would you be willing to help us set up a sting?” Carl asked Gus.

“Now, wait a minute.” Melanie had held her tongue but no more. “As much as I dislike the asshole, his home has been violated and the guilty parties should be punished, but I don’t want my son involved any longer than necessary. Besides, if he was thinking with his brain instead of his gonads, none of this would have happened in the first place.”

“Melanie!” Lindsay exclaimed.

“Mel, that’s uncalled for. The boy feels guilty enough without you adding to it,” Ben defended the hapless teenager.

“Ben’s right, let’s not compound the situation. Gus is a responsible young man and with his help, with all of us, we’ll get these guys,” Carl stated. Then proceeded to explain his plan.


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 11




“Need a hand, Bri?” Ted asked as he came over to the grill where Brian had some steaks cooking on the barbecue.

“If I said yes, what would you do?” Brian asked his old friend, raising an eyebrow as he waited for Ted to respond.

Ted thought for a second and then started clapping his hands slowly. He couldn’t help but chuckle at his own cleverness.

“You know, Theodore. That old gag usually works best when the person upon whom it’s being perpetrated is the one who asks for a hand in the first place.”

“Oh,” Ted said sheepishly. “I really was asking if you needed some help, or if I could get you something.”

“A beer would taste absolutely fabulous at the moment.” Brian wiped the sweat from his brow. This barbecuing in the heat of August was the pits.

“Coming up right away, Boss,” Ted said as he scurried off to the kitchen to get said beer for Brian.

Brian shook his head and mouthed thank you to no one in particular.

Emmett and Drew and Ted and Allen had presented themselves at the cottage a while before. They were laden with food, and made some half-assed statement that only Brian could grill the perfect steak for them. Brian had been foolish enough to fall for their bullshit. They were all sitting in the sun porch out of the sun drinking beer with air conditioning and the fucking fan making a pleasant breeze pass over their bodies, while Brian was stuck outside in the blazing sun cooking over a fucking hot barbecue.

“Dada?” Bree said as she came up to her father.

“Stay back from the grill,” Brian warned, getting a little testy in the heat.

“I know, Dada,” Bree said with an arch of her own little eyebrow.

“What is it, Squirt?”

“Are you making hotdogs for Patrick ‘n me?”

“I’m making hamburgers for you two. You got a problem with that?”

Bree looked at her father, and assessed the situation. He was sweating and looked hot and tired and grumpy. “I love you, Dada,” she said, deciding that asking for a hotdog at that moment was not a good idea.

“I love you too, Squirt,” Brian replied, managing to muster a weak smile.

Bree skipped away to join Patrick on the porch of the Wendy house and tell him the bad news that there wouldn’t be any hotdogs for dinner.

“Here’s your beer, Bri,” Ted said reappearing with a bottle of beer in his hand.

“About fucking time,” Brian griped as he snatched the beer out of Ted’s hand and twisted off the top. He took a long swallow, allowing the cold liquid to run down his throat. He sighed with pleasure, before looking up to see Ted staring at him. “What?” he demanded.

“Thanks for barbecuing. You didn’t have to do it.”

“You think not?” Brian asked sarcastically. When Emmett Honeycutt, the big fairy, decided that something was going to happen, it happened. And apparently Emmett had decided they should have a barbecue this evening. So Brian was slaving over a hot grill and Emmett was inside slurping beer or whipping up cosmos.

“I mean that it’s really great of you to do this,” Ted managed to explain further.

“Yeah, right.”

“How many men have their boss cook supper for them?”

“You’re the only one I know of, and you should be fucking grateful.”

“That’s exactly what I’m trying to tell you,” Ted sighed, “that I’m grateful to you for doing this.”

“You bucking for a raise, Schmidt?” Brian asked raising that eyebrow again.

Ted sighed. “I just never say anything to you that comes out right.” Ted turned around and headed back to the porch.

“Theodore,” Brian said in that commanding voice he had.

Ted stopped. “Yes, Boss?”

“Sometimes you say the right thing, like what you said just now.”

Ted smiled and turned to look at Brian. “You … you were putting me on?”

“Only partially. I’m fucking hot. But thanks for the beer. Go tell the fucking fairy in the sun porch that the steaks are almost ready. You can get the kids from the Wendy house too.”

“Happy to, Bri,” Ted said cheerfully as he headed for the house.

“And Schmidt!” Ted halted. “Don’t get used to compliments.”

“Me? Never, Boss.”

Brian chuckled to himself, then took another long drink from the beer bottle, before giving the steaks a final flip and applying his special barbecue sauce.

A while later they were seated around a table in the sun porch enjoying the steaks and the huge Caesar salad that Emmett had made. Bree and Patrick were eating their hamburgers, which they found to be delicious, in spite of the fact that they had really wanted hotdogs.

“You make the best steaks,” Allen said with his mouth full of a large piece of Brian’s succulent barbecue. “I don’t know how you get them so juicy and tender.”

“Skill,” Brian said with a smirk.

“They really are delicious,” Drew contributed. “I could have these for dinner every night.”

“Don’t get any ideas,” Brian stated raising an eyebrow.

“Good, Dada,” Bree said.

“Very good,” Patrick added.

“Thank you one and all,” Brian said. “You can stop buttering me up now. I got all hot and sweaty for you, so you better fucking appreciate the food.”

“I really appreciate it,” Justin said giving Brian the look that said he still remembered their sweaty activities from earlier.

Brian felt his dick jump at Justin’s tone. He wished all the people around the table would disappear so he could rip Justin’s clothes off and fuck him on top of it.

There was a period of silence while everyone enjoyed their steak and salad. When they were finished eating, Drew and Emmett cleared the table. They disappeared into the kitchen.

“No dessert for me,” Brian called out to Emmett.

“Can I have yours, Dada?” Bree asked.

“How do you know you’ll like it?”

“Is it cake or cookies?” Patrick asked.

“I don’t know,” Brian admitted. “But I’m sure it’s something fattening,” Brian told him.

“Yummy,” Bree giggled.

“I’ll have you know that my dessert is not fattening, but it is delicious,” Emmett said coming back into the porch carrying a large bowl with something orange inside.

“What the fuck is that?” Brian demanded.

“Easy, Brian,” Justin said. “Remember that orange is the new blue.” Justin couldn’t help but giggle.

“Wasn’t that about five years ago?” Brian asked.

“Try fifteen,” Justin replied with another giggle.

Brian grimaced. “You would have to remind me.”

“It’s okay, big guy. I’ll always love you.”

Emmett made gagging noises to get everyone’s attention. “This is my very own mango sorbet, and it is positively luscious.”

“You made that?” Brian asked, eyeing the bowl suspiciously.

“I did, and you will enjoy it.” Emmett began dishing out bowlfuls to all assembled. “It has no fat whatsoever.”

“Is that so?” Brian said as he took a tiny spoonful. “It’s … fucking delicious!”

“Thank you muchly,” Emmett beamed.

“Do I like this, Daddy?” Bree asked with a frown on her face.

“You’ve never had it, sweetheart, but I think you’ll like it. Try a little taste.”

Bree screwed up her face and closed her eyes as Justin fed her a little bit on the end of a spoon. Her eyes opened and she smacked her lips. “Good!” she declared.

“The Princess Bree seal of approval,” Emmett grinned. “What more could I ask for?”

Patrick dug into his sorbet once Bree had indicated that it was good. Everyone else followed suit. While they were all eating Emmett’s sorbet, Brian decided to ask what he had been wanting to know all afternoon.

“Have any of you seen anything … unusual at the loft?” he asked giving a sideways glance towards Bree to indicate that they should be careful about what they said, especially if Gus’ name came up.

They all shook their heads.

“I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled,” Ted said, “but I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary.”

Drew, Emmett and Allen all nodded in agreement.

Brian scowled. He was going to have to do something about Gus and this Cole character. He just wished he knew what and how.

The guys were all lounging in the sun porch when Cindy, one of Rachel’s girls, who was really a young lady now, had come through the porch door wanting to ‘borrow’ the kids. It was a very warm evening and Rachel had a small wading pool set up in her backyard. Patrick, was still sporting his cast, so going to the stream at night was out of the question. But sitting in a calm cool wading pool with his arm protected in plastic was acceptable. Justin and Bobby packed up some extra clothes and pajamas just in case. With Beau leading the way, Cindy took her little charges back to her house.

“Theodore, you hear anything more about Wertshafter’s?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow. Ted was keeping quiet about wanting to buy out his old accounting firm. Brian thought he was just stalling, too embarrassed to tell anyone that he made an offer on the place. Brian also knew that the offer was accepted.

“Teddy, what is Brian talking about?” Emmett asked his best friend. Ted made a pitiful attempt at glaring at Brian who was looking rather smug.

“Old man Wertshafter retired years ago. His son practically ruined the business and I still have contacts over there. When I heard the business was up for sale, I made a bid. Junior Wertshafter accepted my offer. By the time I go back to Pittsburgh, I’ll be the CEO of Schmidt’s Personal Accountants,” Ted said meekly but proudly.

“Oh Teddy! I’m so proud of you,” Emmett gushed as he ran to Ted’s chair to give the man a hug. “Well this deserves a special celebration. We must have a party to mark your entry into mogul-dom.” As the boys all congratulated Ted, Brian broke out a special bottle of sparkling wine and one of sparkling cider for Ted, who true to his word, remained clean and sober all these years.

“A toast to the best fucking accountant on the East coast!” Brian said with pride as he raised his glass. “And I’m grateful to call him friend,” Brian added sincerely, taking a good gulp of wine then casually walking back out to the garden ostensibly to check on the cooling grills. Ted was shocked into silence at the compliment as Emmett burst out into happy tears. Their respective partners tended them.

“Bri, that was a very nice thing to say,” Justin remarked as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist.

“I meant it.”

“I know you did. We all know how much you truly love and respect Teddy.” Brian grunted then slipped his arms around Justin. “You shocked the shit out of them, you know.” Justin began to softly giggle in Brian’s arms.

“I know,” Brian said as he chuckled then kissed his spouse under the soft August moonlight.



*****



“So what’s the plan?” Debbie asked out loud.

“We have to catch them in the act and make sure Gus is not implicated. I wish Brian had installed security cameras when he upgraded the alarm system,” Hunter commented.

“Um, Brian did, but since only family lives in the building, he didn’t have the cameras activated,” John informed them all.

“John, can you have the cameras turned on? If we get enough footage of these hooligans, that and Gene’s statement will be enough to have them arrested,” Carl asked.

“Wait a minute, I haven’t seen any cameras,” Lacy stated.

“Brian had them installed as part of the emergency lights so they wouldn’t be obvious. He saw no reason to have them turned on. He didn’t want to be accused of invading anyone’s privacy. It took a lot of convincing on my part to just get him to let me install them. He trusts the people in the building.”

“And now I’ve broken that trust,” Gus murmured sadly.

“Gus, you will eventually have to face your father but right now we have to focus on getting enough evidence to bury these guys. I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t tried this scam on other kids,” Hunter said with authority.

“I don’t understand. What scam?” Lindsay asked.

“Gus met Cole at the GLC during one of their supervised dances. Cole looks young so he blends in, hits on kids that may have money, ingratiates himself and then before you know it, he rips off the kid’s family. When this is over we should contact the New York police, but for now, John, can you have the cameras activated?”

“No problem, Hunter.”

“Carl, I think Officer Rodgers and Sergeant McGinty should be in on this.”

“I’ll call them in the morning.”

“Honey, someone should check on the loft, maybe take pictures,” Debbie suggested.

“I’ll do that when we get home. It seems like they only enter the building when they think everyone is gone for the day,” Hunter replied.

“If I may,” Gene began,” it looks like Cole is the brains between the two of them. If he’s occupied, I don’t think the other one will go into the building.”

“John, do you need to physically get into the building to activate the security system?” Carl asked.

“Yes, but I only need five minutes then the system will be completely automated and adjusted via computer.”

“Cole told me his cousin works as a stockroom clerk at the Big Q, the afternoon shift. I can keep Cole occupied and away from the apartment for most of the day. Even if Cole does see Uncle John, he looks so much like my dad that he’ll just think dad came into the city for the day. That’ll guarantee that Cole will stay away.”

“Gus, sweetie, I don’t want you hanging around that boy anymore,” Lindsay begged.

“Mom, I have to do this. I have to make it up to my Pop. I knew he didn’t like Cole, hell, even Bree knew something wasn’t right with Cole and I just didn’t listen. I have to help.”

“All right, lambskin, but don’t be alone with him.”

“I can bring him to the gallery, show him Justin’s paintings.”

“That’ll fit. He’ll think you’re just proud of Justin and he’ll probably get a bug up his ass to get back into the loft to rip off a Justin Taylor original,” Hunter stated.

“Honey, I’m just glad you’re on our side!” Debbie exclaimed and Carl nodded in agreement. Hunter’s time on the street and his work with the less than savory elements of Pittsburgh had educated Hunter in the ways of the wayward.

“Do you think we should call Emmett and the guys?” Katerina quietly asked.

“No!” Nick and Hunter said at the same time. Debbie scowled and Melanie snorted.

“Why not?” Katerina asked in all innocence. She loved Emmett and Drew as well as Ted and Allen. She felt safe and loved with them around.

“Kat, honey, there’s a reason why Liberty Avenue has a gay grapevine and his name is Emmett Honeycutt. I love Emmett with all my heart but he can’t keep a secret. If he knows then Brian will surely find out.”

“Right, Ma. And if Teddy knows, he’ll spill his guts the minute Brian gives him one of those looks,” Michael added.

“What look?” Katerina asked. John glared then arched his eyebrow a la Brian Kinney.

“That look!” Debbie pointed at John and laughed.

“People, focus!” Hunter redirected the family back to the plan. “It’s getting late. John, do you have time now to do whatever you need to do?”

“No, I don’t have the equipment with me. I’ll come back tomorrow.”

“And if you’re dressed like Brian, no one will get suspicious,” Carl suggested. John nodded.

“John, do you think you can get Drew to come back with you? I’d feel safer if he were in the building,” Ben asked. Drew was still in tip top physical condition and Ben was worried for the girls as well as his son and Nick.

“Oh, Paw!” Hunter whined.

“Hunter, you may run the whole clinic but you’re still my son.” Ben couldn’t hide his concern as he hugged the young man.

“Our son,” Michael added with his own hug.

“Not a problem, I’ll call Drew on my way home and fill him in. He can come back with me tomorrow. I hope we can get this all wrapped up in a few days. Any more people involved and the whole of Pittsburgh will know our plan.” The family murmured in agreement.

“We should meet back here in the morning to finalize our plans. Gus, you okay with everything?” Hunter asked. He knew Gus was scared although he hid it well behind the cool Kinney persona.

“Yeah, I’m good,” Gus replied bravely.

The family bid each other goodnight then went their separate ways.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 12




The family reconvened at Debbie’s house early the next morning. John, dressed in a Brian type suit, looked so much like his brother that the men in the room had trouble not staring. Drew had driven in with John, and for added effect, John had borrowed the Vette.

“How did you manage to convince Brian into letting you drive the fuck-mobile?” Michael asked John.

“Wasn’t too difficult. Bobby took his car into Bridgeton, Patrick’s cast may come off today. I took the liberty of spreading some of my car’s engine parts in the driveway. Gave Brian the old puppy dog look and a story about needing to look good to impress a new client and he tossed me the keys to the Vette,” John said with a shrug.

“Drew, honey, how did you get away?” Debbie asked as she handed the ex-quarterback a plate laden with breakfast.

“That was easy; I told Emm that I got a call about the store. I said I’d be at most two days. He saw no reason to doubt me. When this is over, I’m going to have to do some big time groveling.”

“Honey, what do you have to grovel about?”

“Since we’ve been living together, I’ve never lied to him,” Drew said with a frown.

“Sweetheart, he’ll forgive you, especially when you tell him why,” Debbie reassured Drew. Then turning to Carl and Hunter, Debbie asked, “So what do we do now?”

“Well, Babe, we all act like it’s just another day in Pittsburgh. We all have pictures of these guys so we can monitor their movements. Rodgers and McGinty have copies and the stolen merchandise. John will activate the security camera system, and he’s notified the alarm company about what’s going on.”

“When this is over, we’ll have the pass codes reset and new keys made for the building and each apartment including the basement and storerooms. But for now, everything will have to stay the same. We don’t want Cole and Lex to know we’re on to them,” John stated.

“They don’t seem to be aware of the alley entrance so I can slip in and out of the building like I usually do. Maybe follow them around,” Hunter added.

“Hunter, you leave that to the cops,” Carl growled. Hunter looked appropriately chastised. “Gus, did you speak with Cole yet?”

“Yeah, last night. Told him I didn’t have to work until later so I’d meet him at the Village diner this morning. I guess I’ll be buying him breakfast,” Gus grumbled. Danny took out some money and slipped it into Gus’ hand.

“Think of it as an advance on your salary,” Danny said.

“After breakfast, we’ll walk over to the gallery. He kinda freaked when he saw Bree’s painting in the loft, but when he finds out how much they go for he’ll want to go back.”

“I want to be there!” Melanie growled.

“Mel, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Carl said gently.

“Why not? Gus is my son and I want to make sure this Cole person doesn’t hurt him,” Melanie spat.

“Sweetie, no one here doubts how much you love Gus and want to protect him, but one look at you, and Cole will know something’s up,” Debbie said as logically as she could.

“But I’ll be there,” Lindsay said.

“Mom, don’t take this the wrong way but even when you’re real angry, you’re not half as scary as Mama,” Gus admitted. The family chuckled as Lindsay blushed.

“Lindsay, just play the dumb blonde and Cole won’t give you a second thought. He’s the young, arrogant type and thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. The people he’s duped are too ashamed to admit it. We’ll use that arrogance to trip him up,” Carl instructed Lindsay and the family.

“What should the rest of us do?” Michael asked.

“Just keep your eyes open and blend into the background. Liberty Avenue is always busy but even busier in the Summer. There’s always some street festival or gathering going on. Gus, you just keep to Liberty when you’re with Cole. A member of the family will keep you both in sight.”

Carl looked around at his family and puffed up his chest with pride. Squabbles and disagreements notwithstanding, the family was ready to do battle against anyone that threatened it.

“Gus, I’m proud of you, son. And I know your dad is proud of you too.” Carl took hold of the boy’s shoulders to give them a squeeze. “Okay, people, we’ve got a job to do,” Carl said.

The family dispersed to perform their assigned tasks.



*****



“So when do we go back to finish the job?” Lex asked his cousin. They were having a lazy morning. Cole was going to meet Gus at about ten. Lex didn’t have to be at work until noon. They had polished off another bottle of Brian’s wine last night and were both sporting headaches.

“Maybe tomorrow. I have to give my baby cakes a little thrill today. He wants to take me to some gallery.”

“What for?”

“I dunno! Says his dad has some show going on, some shit like that.”

“You mean the guy who painted that ugly naked man?”

“No, butthead, the guy who painted the brat on the beach.”

“Oh yeah, he’s real famous. Well, find out how much his stuff goes for.”

“I intend to. You just find out if we can sell the stuff. What good is a hot painting if we can’t unload it? Either way, I think the Pitts is getting too hot for me. We do this thing, sell what we can then I split back to New York.”

“What about your dream fuck with Brian Kinney?” Lex gave his cousin a sideways glance. Cole talked big but his schemes rarely worked out the way he planned.

“Aah, who wants to be fucked by an old geezer anyway,” Cole snarked.



*****



“Poppa, will Grandpa Doctor Dan take off my cast today?” Patrick asked his father as they sat in the waiting room.

“I don’t know. He said he’s going to take another x-ray and if it looks good he’ll cut half off.”

“Half?” Patrick had visions of someone cutting his arm in two.

“The top half, Lil Red. The bottom half is used like a brace. But you’ll be able to take your arm out, have a real bath and exercise the arm a bit.”

“How come you know so much about broken arms?”

“Seen a few in school.”

“Oh.” Just then a technician came in to take the two Morrison men to the x-ray suite. It wouldn’t be too long before they’d know if Patrick’s arm could be freed from his cast.



*****



“Dada, where’s Patrick?”

Brian and Justin were having a quiet morning. Emmett had dropped off some fresh biscuits and muffins that he had baked as a thank you to Brian for slaving over a hot grill for them the previous night. They were quietly having breakfast on the sun porch and waiting for Bree to wake up.

“Uncle Bobby took Patrick to the doctor. They’re going to check if his cast can come off.”

“Are his bones all better?” Bree asked hopefully.

“I hope so, Squirt.”

“Can Patrick go riding?”

“I don’t think so, but he can probably go into the stream if he’s careful.”

“Yay!” Bree squealed, jumping up and down. “I think I should draw Patrick a card.”

“Have some breakfast first, baby girl,” Justin more than suggested. “Then you can draw your card. You have plenty of time before Patrick gets home.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree agreed as her Dada cut up one of Emmett’s massive blueberry muffins for Bree. “I share, Dada,” Bree said, reaching up with a portion of muffin. Brian dutifully opened his mouth to receive the muffin. Justin shook his head, chuckling.

“She so has you wrapped around her finger,” Justin said smugly, stating the obvious.

“Yes, well, she was sharing and we encourage that behavior,” Brian stated softly as he reached for a napkin to genteelly wipe his mouth.

“Oh stop. Emmett makes the best muffins and you never eat much for breakfast. An inch worth of blueberry muffin won’t kill you. Disappointing our daughter would, so share with Bree as much as you like.”

“What are your plans today?” Brian asked changing the subject. “And are we to be invaded again by the fairies down the lane?”

“I’m doing some research on fractals but I did overhear Emm say something about a picnic by the stream later.”

“I don’t have to cook again, do I?” Brian whined.

“No, you poor baby. Emmett said he’ll be doing all the cooking. He just wants to know if they can borrow some of our picnic blankets.”

“That I can handle. It’s going to be another scorcher out there today. I am so happy to be here rather than in the city.” Brian finished off his coffee then stretched himself out on the chaise. He closed his eyes and allowed the sounds of the countryside and the contented sounds of his family lull him back to sleep.



*****



“Hey, baby cakes, you ready to have breakfast with your bf?” Cole asked with a feral grin.

“Breakfast? It’s almost lunchtime, but yes, I’m ready,” Gus grumbled, but took Cole’s proffered hand and strolled down the road to the Village diner like nothing was amiss.

Danny was already sitting at the counter, sipping iced tea and pretending to read a paperback book. The mirrored wall behind the counter made it easy for him to spy on the boys without them noticing. After Gus paid for their lunch, they left the diner.

“Come with me, Cole. Justin’s going to have a new show soon. We can get a sneak preview,” Gus pleaded and Cole fell for it.

“Sure, anything for my baby cakes,” Cole replied in a sugar glazed tone. Danny watched them leave then got on his phone.

“Lindsay? Heads up, they’re on their way.” Danny casually followed about a block behind until they turned onto Liberty. That’s where Michael and Ben took over.



*****



“That was quick. All done?” Hunter asked as John entered his apartment.

“Yeah, I told you I only needed a few minutes. Now the trick is making sure the cameras are at the right angles. That’s where the girls, Drew, and you, come in,” John said as he booted up his laptop then accessed the security website. With everyone armed with cell phones, Drew, Hunter, Lacy and Katerina each took a floor. Over the next half hour, John had the cameras on each floor calibrated. The time stamp in each frame would prove to be useful as the family continued their preparations to catch the thieves.



*****



“Patrick!” Bree screeched as she saw Patrick and her Uncle Bobby walking through the garden and into the sun porch. “Patrick, oh my Patrick, are you all better?”

“Almost,” Patrick replied, accepting the hug the little girl gave him and the card she drew for him.

“Dada, can I take Patrick down to the stream? Auntie Emm and Uncle Teddy and Uncle Allen are down there. Pleeezzzz!” Bree was practically bouncing with energy.

“Go on, but mind Beau and Auntie Emm,” Brian instructed.

“Thank you, Dada. Come Patrick, my brave Patrick.”

Patrick blushed under all the accolades as he was practically pulled out the door by the tiny strawberry blond waif. Beau was vigilantly following.

“He’s fine,” Bobby exclaimed as Brian and Justin turned their eyes on him. “He has to wear the bottom half of the cast as a brace during the day. He can sleep with it off. We go back in two more weeks. Maybe we can salvage the rest of the summer,” Bobby sighed as Justin handed him a large cold iced tea.

The three men sat in the porch, grateful their children were whole.



*****



“Hi lam… um, Gus,” Lindsay greeted Gus and Cole sweetly. She was looking the epitome of a frazzled and ditzy blond. It was about a month before the Seasons premiere and gala. There were a lot of paintings that needed to be framed and hung. And Lindsay had a bad case of the ‘dropsies’.

“Here, Mom,” Gus said as he picked up Lindsay’s clipboard to hand to her.

“Thank you, Sweetheart. Gus, I’ll be over there if you need anything,” Lindsay said pointedly then left to consult with workmen, while desperately trying to keep an eye on Gus and Cole.

Cole wandered the gallery; more than half the artwork displayed was Justin’s. He noted small colored dots were either on a corner of a painting or on the wall near a painting. Picking up a catalog, Cole casually flipped through it. A blue dot meant a painting was valued at about five thousand dollars. A green dot meant at least ten thousand. Cole was afraid of what the red dotted paintings were worth. And then there were some portraits that had black dots. Apparently those were purchased via bids. There were several nudes of Brian, all of which had black dots on their corners.

“Damn, the old man is hot,” Cole mumbled to himself. ‘Too bad I gotta get out of here,’ Cole thought. He looked over at Gus who was looking at a winterscape scene. ‘He’s just as beautiful,’ Cole thought wistfully.

When Gus and Cole left the gallery, Hunter and Nick were following.



*****



“Hi, Auntie, Emm,” Bree said batting her eyes at the tall man. She and Patrick had walked the path to the stream with Beau beside them.

“Oh, it’s my little princess and her handsome prince. Somebody has a much smaller cast,” Emmett observed as he noticed the cut down cast on Patrick’s arm. “How is your arm?”

“It’s good,” Patrick replied. “Grandpa Doctor Dan said that it’s almost all better. I just have to wear this as a brace for a couple of weeks.”

“That’s great news,” Ted said. “You guys want to go for a swim?”

Bree looked longingly at the stream. It looked so cool and refreshing. It was a very hot day. “I’d like to,” she said hesitantly, “but Patrick’s not supposed to go in there yet, so I stay with him.”

The three men smiled. “You’re a good nurse and friend,” Allen told the little girl.

“I am,” Bree stated proudly, pleased that Uncle Allen seemed to notice her sacrifice.

“What if you two were to sit on that rock over there and dangle your feet in the water? I bet that would feel good,” Ted suggested.

“Yeah!” Bree said enthusiastically.

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed. “I think I could do that.”

“I think you could too,” Emmett agreed. He walked the children over to the stream and watched as they shucked off their shoes. Beau watched the goings on and began barking when their toes first hit the water. “It’s okay, Beau. We’re right here with them and we won’t let anything happen.”

Beau gave a doggie groan and laid down beside the rock staring at the children.

“He’s quite the guard dog, isn’t he?” Allen said.

“He’s a great dog. I’d like to sic him on that asshole that Gus has been going out with.”

“The kid can’t be that bad,” Allen protested. He was always willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

“He’s causing Gus to be sneaking around, and it’s making Brian miserable. And when Brian Kinney is miserable, so is everyone else.”

“Dada’s not miserable,” Bree stated, her little ears having perked up when Ted mentioned her father’s name. “Dada’s good!”

“Yes, you’re right, of course,” Ted backtracked, wishing he had never brought up the subject.

“I don’t like Cole,” she added emphatically.

“You and everyone else … except Gus,” Ted mumbled. He shook his head. He’d have to learn to be more careful about what he said around Briana. She picked up on everything.

“Why don’t you like Cole, sweetie?” Emmett asked as he sat down on the rock with them and swung his own feet into the stream.

Bree frowned. “He wouldn’t shake my hand.”

“What?” Emmett asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“My Dada says that you should always extend your hand to a stranger and shake firmly,” Bree parroted.

“And you did that with Cole?” Emmett giggled. He could imagine Brian saying that about someone he was meeting for business purposes, but not something for Bree to do. She must have overheard Brian saying something like that. The girl had a mind like a steel trap.

Bree nodded her head. “In Nyork. He wouldn’t shake my hand.”

“The nerve of him!” Emmett exclaimed. He couldn’t imagine anyone not falling under the charms of Briana Kinney-Taylor. And having her for an enemy was not a smart move.

“I kick his ass … if I could.”

Emmett nearly swallowed himself. Bree was definitely Brian’s daughter. “Let’s leave the ass kicking to your fathers, sweetie.”

“’Kay,” Bree replied as she enjoyed the cool water running over her feet. She leaned against Patrick and smiled at her best friend. Patrick sighed contentedly.



*****



“Daddy, we’re back,” Bree called as she and Patrick and Beau came into the sun porch.

“In the kitchen,” Justin called. “We’re making salads for dinner.”

“Unca Ted and Unca Allen and Auntie Emm are having a picnic by the stream,” Bree told her father. “They said we could stay, but I thought we should come back. You might get worried about Patrick.”

Patrick blushed and kept silent.

“Yes, I guess we might if you were gone past dinnertime. Did you have fun?”

“Auntie Emm let us dangle our feet in the stream,” Bree said.

“Beau wasn’t going to let us,” Patrick added.

Justin gave the big dog an affectionate pat. “He was just doing his job.”

“Auntie Emm told Beau that we would be all right. He sat right beside us on the rock, and Beau watched us real careful,” Bree informed him.

“Really carefully,” Brian corrected as he dumped the vegetables he had been chopping into the salad bowl. “Beau knows how to look after you little imps. So, do you want to go back to the picnic, or eat here?”

Bree looked at Patrick, and they both said, “Here.”

Brian chuckled. “I thought you liked Auntie Emm’s cooking.”

“We do,” Patrick said, “but it’s hot out there.”

“Aw, air conditioning wins out over gourmet food,” Justin laughed.

“I like your food, Daddy,” Bree said with her best Taylor smile.

“Even when we give you healthy snacks?”

“Auntie Emm gave us cookies.”

Brian groaned. “I’ll have to have a word with your Auntie Emm.”

“He only gave us one, and he said not to tell you,” Bree giggled.

“He did, did he?”

“Yep, and Unca Ted said you were miserable, Dada.”

“Miserable?”

“Because of Cole and Gus.”

“Really?” Brian asked, truly surprised at Ted bringing that up in front of Bree.

“He didn’t think I could hear him, but I did. You’re not miserable, are you, Dada?”

“No, Squirt, just mildly upset and annoyed.”

Justin smiled as he finished off the salad he was making. He knew Brian was more upset than that, but he didn’t want to make it seem too bad for Bree.

“Can I tell Gus he shouldn’t see Cole no more?” Bree asked with a worried look on her face.

“Any more. I don’t think that would do much good,” Brian admitted.

Bree frowned. “Maybe we could send Beau to look out for Gus.”

Justin laughed out loud. “I think Beau would take a chunk out of Cole before he could draw a breath.”

“And with my blessing,” Brian added.

Bree grinned. “Good Beau!” She flung her arms around the big dog’s neck and kissed the top of his head. Brian could almost swear the dog blushed at her actions.

“Dinner’s ready. Patrick, go get your Poppa, and I’ll feed our canine guardian.”


Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 13





“So we are clear on this?” Several heads nodded and a few murmured, yes. The family had gathered at Deb and Carl’s for one more very early morning meeting. From their habits, the cops and the family knew that Cole and Lex were not early risers. And judging by the number of missing wine bottles, they were probably partying every night.

“We stay off of Tremont; let the cops and the security cameras do their jobs. Pawnshops within a ten mile radius have all been notified that a ring of thieves may use them; however, no details were given. Gene, of course, knows who we’re after. We’re hoping they’ll go back to his shop, since he was very accommodating the last time. Under no circumstances do you follow these guys.” Carl was emphatic about that. He knew the family was itching to get their hands on Cole and his cousin, if only for Gus’ sake.

“So we just go about our business while these fuckers rip off Brian and Justin?” Debbie shrieked.

“Debbie, we can’t go rushing in there; the cops need the evidence. John is going to monitor everything from the computers at the clinic. The cops will be watching also,” Hunter told his worried Grandmother.

“But what about Gus?” Debbie asked with concern. Gus was at home with his mothers. They decided to stay with him until they knew it was all over. Lindsay had wanted to call Brian, but Gus and Melanie convinced her that wasn’t a good idea. So they made a huge breakfast while they waited for the call.

“He’ll be fine. I spoke with him this morning,” John reassured the assembled family. “His moms are spending the day with him until this thing is over.”

“Well, okay, as long as he’s not alone,” Debbie conceded. “Katerina and Lacy can stay here until Kat has to go to work. Then we’ll drive her over to the hospital.”

Lacy and Kat sighed with relief. They didn’t want to stay at the apartment house either. Drew decided to stay at Deb’s too. John would go to the clinic with Hunter and Nick. Ben decided he’d hang out at the Comic Book store while Danny and Joan would go to work as usual at the new Book Store.

“So now we just wait?” Lacy asked.

“Now we wait,” Carl reiterated.



*****



“Fuck! What kind a shitty wine does Kinney drink? My mouth tastes like I swallowed sand. I should have added sugar to it last night,” Lex groused. He had drunk a bottle of very expensive and very dry wine but to his unrefined palate the wine was totally unappealing. But that didn’t stop him from finishing off the bottle.

Cole, on the other hand had gulped down a bottle of very sweet dessert wine. He was currently worshiping at the shrine of the porcelain god. After a while, Cole flushed, brushed his teeth then steadied himself for the day.

“Come on, let’s get this over with. I’m tired of this fucking city. We dump the stuff and then I split on the next bus back to N. Y. C.”

Cole packed up his meager belongings into his duffle bag and left it by the door. He and Lex stuffed several empty duffle bags into a back pack then left for the Tremont Avenue apartments.



*****



“Shh, be quiet,” Cole commanded. Lex rolled his eyes. It was so quiet in the apartment house that you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was either at work or away. The thieves made their way up the stairs and then into the loft. John was watching the two via the security cameras which were relaying the images in real time. The security company reassured John and the representative from the police department that everything would be recorded.

Cole went straight into the bedroom. He opened the drawer that held the cash and stuffed the remaining bills into his pocket. He opened the other drawers, but finding little jewelry, he shut them. Cole then went to the closet to retrieve the last two Metal Men statues. He sifted through the clothes hanging there but finding them too old fashioned and totally the wrong size, he left them be. Cole spied a nice pair of boots but they were two sizes two big. The only clothes that would remotely fit were a couple of sweat shirts and hoodies. Cole left those hanging there as well.

“I disconnected the BOSE system,” Lex called up to Cole. “There are a few more ashtrays and vases we might get something for. You want me to take them?”

“Yeah, why not? Too bad we can’t take the computer or the TV but we don’t have the time to unload them. We take only what we can carry,” Cole instructed. “And then we get the fuck out,” he said to himself.

With their bags full Cole and Lex left the Tremont apartments for good.



*****



“Kinney,” Brian said into his cell phone. He had just cleaned up the lunch dishes, the kids were playing in the Wendy house and Justin had his nose buried in his computer. John had driven off early in the morning, as did Bobby, who had court today.

Brian was just about to enjoy the quiet afternoon when he received his call.

“Simon! Good to hear from you. So, can I persuade you to give up your sons for the remainder of the summer?”

“That’s why I’m calling. Raymond is dying to come, but Jeff is in the middle of rehearsal so he can’t make it.”

“Gus will be disappointed. He was looking forward to seeing both of them but I have a feeling that Raymond will keep him occupied.”

“I’m not sure I want to know.” Simon hadn’t forgotten the kiss.

“Are you saying you want to keep them apart?”

“Not at all. If my son must hook up with someone, I’d rather it be with someone I know, trust and like. Gus is a good kid. Ray couldn’t do better.”

“I agree. Raymond is a great kid. Shit, Simon, are we playing matchmaker? How gay is that?” Brian scowled as Simon burst out into laughter.

“Brian, old buddy, we’re gay men. It’s what we do.”

“Yeah, but I don’t have to like it,” Brian said with a snort. “How soon are you putting my future son-in-law on a plane?” Brian snarked.

“Day after tomorrow. They’ll have two full weeks together then he has to get back here to get ready for school.”

“Sounds like a plan. E-mail me with the flight details and we’ll pick him up. And Simon, Gus couldn’t do any better than your Ray too.”

The proud dads cut the connection and went about their day.



*****



“We’ve got them,” John said as he turned to Hunter. They had just watched Lex and Cole leave the loft with their bags of goodies.

“They fucking took the painting of Bree. Brian will kill them.”

“And it won’t be anything they don’t deserve,” John observed.

“Shouldn’t we let the police know?”

“They’ve been monitoring the loft. They know.”

“Then why didn’t they pick up those assholes as soon as they left the premises?” Hunter wanted to know.

“So far all they’ve done is collect some items from the loft. They didn’t break in.”

“They didn’t need to. They stole the codes and the keys from Gus.”

“We know that, but the law doesn’t know that … yet. As soon as they fence the items, we’ll have them.”

“I wish this was over,” Hunter sighed. “I have a feeling something bad’s going to happen. What if they get away?”

“I don’t think Carl and his cohorts are going to let that happen.”

“I hope not,” Hunter replied, still unsure about how all this was going to turn out.

“Don’t worry, Hunter. This plan is foolproof.”

“Unless they head somewhere else with the goods. Maybe we should have tailed them.”

“We don’t want anybody getting involved and putting themselves in danger,” John said reasonably.

“I wish this was all over.”

“It will be soon.”



*****



Gus sat on the steps of the back porch of the house. He felt like shit, but he knew he would feel even worse when his father found out what Cole was doing.

“Fuck!” he muttered to himself.

He had fallen for Cole and all the shit he had spewed. Cole had actually made him feel like an adult. They had kissed and sucked and got each other off. Try as he might, Gus could not be sorry for doing that, even with an asshole like Cole Adams. He had wanted to experience all those things, and he had. Cole had been his initiation into the world of sex … and love. At least that’s what he had thought at first. It was too bad that all that had happened had been with someone who was using him. Someone who didn’t really care what the fuck happened to him. Someone who didn’t love him … even a little bit. Because Gus knew that he did love Cole … more than a little bit. He had been ready to fall hook, line and sinker. He wondered what had stopped him from doing that.

Somewhere deep inside he must have known that Cole wasn’t really the one. He must have known that or he would have let Cole … go all the way. Gus sighed, as he reflected about how he had refused to let Cole fuck him. He had saved that for someone special. Thank God, he had saved that, hopefully for someone who would love him the way he loved them.

“You okay, Gus?” JR asked tentatively as she came out onto the porch. She handed him a soda and sat down beside him, sipping her own drink.

Gus shook his head. “I’m such a fucking idiot.”

“No you’re not!” JR contradicted. “You’re my big brother, and you’re very smart.”

“Not about some things.” Gus shook his head at his own stupidity.

“I never met Cole,” JR said seriously, “but I bet he was good at fooling people.”

Gus snorted. “Dad hated him immediately.”

“I think your father’s going to hate anybody you go out with,” JR giggled.

“You could be right about that,” Gus agreed ruefully. “But even Bree didn’t like Cole.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, he refused to shake her hand. He basically ignored her.”

“I bet she didn’t like that,” JR giggled again.

“She sure didn’t. She’s not used to anyone who can resist her charms.”

“I wish I could do that … you know like Bree, charm people … boys.”

“Oh God, not you too,” Gus laughed. “We can be pathetic together.”

“Okay,” JR said with a little smile at her big brother.

Gus held up his can of soda, and they clinked their cans together before they each took a sip.



*****



“Carl, it’s Gene at the pawnshop. Guess who just walked in?”

“Great,” Carl said. “I’ll notify Rodgers and McGinty. Don’t let on anything’s up. Buy whatever they’re selling. Hopefully they’ll try to sell you everything.”

“Okay, I’ll play along,” Gene replied as he cut the connection. He walked out of the office to greet his customers. “Hey guys, what can I do for you today?”

“We have some more primo stuff for you,” Lex informed him.

“Really? You seem to have hit the jackpot.”

“Yeah, our uncle liked only the best,” Cole explained.

“Is that right? So, what have you brought me today?”

Cole and Lex started to unload their duffle bags. Gene looked over the items they set on the counter.

“Not bad,” Gene observed. “This BOSE system is pretty new.”

“Our poor dead uncle was a real audiophile,” Cole told him. “He loved to listen to his music right up to the end.”

Gene raised an eyebrow, but didn’t say anything. “I can give you nine hundred for everything.”

“Nine hundred? The stereo system alone is worth more than that,” Lex protested.

“It’s a couple of years old, and pawnshops rarely give you the list price,” Gene said sarcastically, just the way he would with any asshole customer who tried to con him out of more money than he was prepared to offer. These two were amateurs compared to some of what Gene had dealt with over the years.

“Let’s take it,” Lex whispered. “You want to go back to New York, and that will give you a little bit to get started again. I may come with you.”

Cole smiled. “And we’ve still got that fucking picture, if your contact comes through.”

“He’s supposed to meet us down the street in about five minutes,” Lex whispered. “Let’s wrap this up.”

Cole nodded. “We’ll take it.”

Gene smiled. He counted out the money. “What else have you got in that other bag?” He noted the bag covering something that looked very much like a painting. He knew there would be Justin Taylor originals in the loft. He wondered if this was one of them.

“It’s something we’ve made other arrangements to deal with,” Cole said. “You wouldn’t be interested.”

“How do you know until you show me?”

Cole and Lex looked at each other. Lex shook his head.

“We’ll be back if our contact doesn’t come through,” Cole said, as he took the money and picked up the remaining bag containing the painting of Gus’ little brat of a sister. He would enjoy selling that. He hoped they’d get enough from it to pay for a down payment on a decent apartment in New York. They could party to their heart’s content or until the money ran out or until they had to get another fucking job. “Let’s go,” Cole said.

Lex picked up the two duffle bags that were now empty. They could use them to pack their belongings when they hopped a bus for New York. He couldn’t wait to blow Pittsburgh. The two men exited the store.

Gene grabbed his cell phone and dialed Carl’s number. He would fill the cop in on what the two men had pawned, and on the fact that they were meeting someone to fence what looked like a Justin Taylor painting.



*****



“So what have you got for me?” the man asked as Cole and Lex approached his car.

“A Justin Taylor original,” Lex said with a grin. “First rate stuff.”

“I’ll be the judge of that,” the man said. He seemed to have little or no sense of humor.

Lex opened the bag that covered the painting of Bree. He kept the bag pulled around the picture so that it was not too obvious to any passersby what they were looking at. The man studied the painting, especially the corner where Justin had signed and dated it.

“It doesn’t look like most of his paintings that I’m familiar with. The market for his nudes of that guy that he’s shacked up with is the hottest,” the man said.

“This is his daughter,” Cole stated.

“It won’t be as saleable as the nudes, but I can probably manage to unload it. I have a couple of clients who are into Taylor’s work.”

“Great,” Lex said. “How much?”

“Two thousand.”

“Shit! Is that all?”

“It would go for more in a gallery, but you’re not dealing with a reputable gallery. You’re dealing with me. And I’m not asking any questions about where you got this. Do I make myself clear?”

“Very,” Cole replied. “Two thousand … cash?”

“I have it right here,” the man said patting his breast pocket.

“Deal,” Cole said.

The man looked at Lex, and Lex nodded in agreement. He pulled out a packet of bills and counted off two thousand dollars. Lex accepted the money and handed the bag with the painting to the man.

“Freeze! Police!” a voice shouted. “Don’t move!”

They all stopped in their tracks. McGinty and Rodgers, and a couple of other police officers, all with drawn weapons surrounded the three men.

“Lex and Cole Adams, you are under arrest for grand theft,” Rodgers stated. “You have the right to remain silent…” He continued to read the Miranda statement to the two men as they were cuffed and shoved into the police car that had just pulled up.

“And if it isn’t Sal Banderi,” Carl Horvath chuckled, as he joined McGinty who was reading the purchaser of the painting his rights and handcuffing him as well.

“Horvath, what the fuck?”

“I was after you for years,” Carl chuckled. “Never could pin anything on you.”

“And you won’t this time either.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that,” Carl said. “I’d say we’ve got you dead to rights.”

He watched as Banderi was placed in another squad car and both cars pulled away. Carl pulled out his phone to let John Anderson know that their operation had been a total success.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Chapter 14





“Brian, I need to talk to you.”

“You were late getting home last night,” Brian said as he sipped his coffee at the kitchen table. Bree and Patrick and Beau were outside playing somewhere. Justin was working on his computer in the sun porch.

“I … I’ve been busy the last few days,” John said carefully. He was pleased that the Cole Adams fiasco seemed to have been resolved, but he wasn’t sure how to tell his brother about what the “family” had done … without Brian’s knowledge.

“I noticed. What have you been up to?”

“That’s what I wanted to talk to you about.”

Brian frowned. It wasn’t like John to beat around the bush. Usually he just said what was on his mind. It was one of the things that Brian really admired about his brother. But today something was different. Brian felt a little jab of fear as he stared into John’s eyes.

“What’s going on?”

“Um … I want you to listen to what I have to say, and don’t go off the deep end. Okay?”

“What the fuck is this all about, John? You’re scaring me. Is this about Gus and that asshole he’s been seeing?”

John nodded. “Gus confessed to his mother and grandmother that he’d taken Cole to the loft. Some guy named Gene, who owns a pawnshop, contacted Hunter about some items that had been brought into his shop. Apparently he recognized them. They were being pawned by two young men. He had seen the items in your loft.”

Brian wracked his brain trying to picture a guy named Gene, but nothing came to mind. There had been so many tricks through the loft over the years. Then it hit Brian, the full meaning of what John had just said.

“Are you telling me that Cole fucking Adams robbed the loft?”

John nodded again. “He’s been helping himself to things from the loft for the last week or so.”

“Fuck! I’ll kill the little bastard!”

“Calm down, Brian. He cleaned out the loft yesterday … all they could carry anyway.”

“What did they take?” Brian asked with a frown.

“The BOSE, some cash, your Metal Men statues and the painting of Bree.”

“Fuck!”

“They’re under arrest,” John said rather proud to be able to announce that.

“What?”

“We had them under surveillance, and when they tried to pawn the items, Carl and the police got them dead to rights.”

“Jesus Christ, why didn’t anybody tell me?”

“We wanted to keep you out of prison. We knew you’d kill them if you found out.”

Brian snorted, but he knew deep down that John had been trying to protect him. He still found that hard to accept sometimes … that he had people in his life who were actually looking out for him. “Well, it’s good that they caught them,” Brian admitted, his anger receding. “How’s Gus?”

“That’s part of why I wanted to talk to you. Gus is taking this hard,” John told his brother.

“He’s not still in love with that fucker, is he?”

“No, no, I don’t think so, although Cole was his first attempt at love. He’s taking the betrayal hard. And he blames himself for Cole ripping off the loft.”

“Shit! That’s not his fault.”

“I know that, and you know that, but I’m not sure Gus believes it.”

“I better talk to him.”

“That’s what I was hoping you would say. Oh, and Cole and his cousin are being arraigned today. I thought you might like to see them taken down.”

Brian smiled that strange smile that held no humor. John could tell he was planning something.

“What are you thinking?” John asked.

“What time is the arraignment?” Brian asked ignoring John’s question.

“Around eleven at the superior court downtown.”

“Superior court?”

“It’s grand theft.”

“Fuck!”

“Yeah, but they deserve whatever happens to them,” John stated.

“You got that right.”



*****



“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he walked out onto the porch and saw his son sitting on the steps. According to Lindsay that was where Gus was spending all his time since his relationship with the infamous Cole had started to unravel. He did little other than mope around.

Gus jumped and turned to look at his father. “Pop! I’m so sorry,” Gus started.

“Gus, can it!”

“Huh?”

“You heard me.”

Gus dropped his eyes and looked sad. “I’m still sorry.”

“Haven’t I told you at least twenty times that sorry’s bullshit?”

Gus smiled in spite of himself. “Well, maybe you’ve told me that … once or twice.”

Brian sat down on the step next to his son. He put his arm around Gus’ shoulders and pulled him against his body. He felt Gus gulp and then start to shake with silent sobs.

“Let it all out, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he held onto Gus, who wrapped his arms around Brian’s chest and held on while he cried for what he had done and what he had thought he had with Cole. It had all turned to shit. After a couple of minutes Gus pulled away and wiped at his eyes.

“Sorry, Pop,” Gus said with a shaky voice.

Brian raised an eyebrow disapprovingly and Gus understood that it was all right to cry. He didn’t have to be sorry about that or apparently about anything else either.

“I don’t understand how Cole could do that to me,” Gus whispered staring at his feet.

“Because he’s a user. He took advantage of your youth and inexperience.”

Gus shook his head. “How could I have been so stupid?”

“Love will do strange things to you.”

“I did think I loved him, Pop … at first.”

“But you started doubting that pretty fast, didn’t you?”

Gus thought about that. “Yeah. I kept telling myself that he loved me back, but I think I knew somewhere deep inside… I … I was flattered that someone older wanted me. I didn’t realize how much older he was. He’s twenty-two.”

“Fuck!”

“He kept coming after me. He followed me here to Pittsburgh. I thought he really wanted me, that he must really love me.”

“Sounds vaguely familiar,” Brian said with a strange look on his face.

Gus looked at his father. “You’re talking about Justin, aren’t you?”

Brian blinked. “No, we’re talking about you.”

“I really believed him, Pop. He was my first.”

“Don’t let that color all your other relationships, Gus. Now you have some experience. You’ll know what feels right and what doesn’t.”

Gus smiled. “That’s kind of what Grandma Joan told me.”

“She did?” Brian could hardly believe that his son had gone to Joan for advice … and about a gay relationship. Would wonders never cease? “Did you listen to her?”

“Yeah. That’s when I realized I didn’t like the way Cole made me feel. The sex was great, but I hated that he expected me to pay for everything, and that he made me sneak around behind everyone’s back.”

“That’s your gut talking. Always listen to your gut,” Brian advised him.

“I plan to in the future.”

“And don’t blame yourself. Cole is the one who did wrong.”

“Thanks, Pop. I’ll try, but do you think I’ll ever find someone … someone like maybe how you found Justin?”

Brian snorted. “I didn’t find him, he latched onto me. My little stalker.”

“I know you don’t mean that, Pop.”

“I did at the time.”

“But he changed your mind?”

“Justin changed everything.”

“Do you think I can find someone like Justin?”

“No, Justin’s one of a kind. But you’ll find the person who’s right for you. Just take your time. You’ll know when it’s right. The odds were a million, no, make that a billion to one, against me finding true love. I didn’t even believe in fucking love. And then along came that little blond Taylor. I treated him like shit, and denied that I loved him, for far too long. You know what an unworthy asshole I am, and I still got the gold ring at the end of the rainbow.”

“Isn’t that the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or the brass ring on the merry-go-round?” Gus chuckled.

“You tell it your way and I’ll tell it mine.”

“Whatever you say, Pop,” Gus laughed softly.

“I say that you will find the perfect person for you … eventually. Be patient. You’re still very young.”

“I know … and you’re not an unworthy asshole.”

“I was.”

Gus sighed. He hated to think that his father had thought that for so much of his younger life. “I love you, Pop.”

Brian smiled and nodded. Then he cleared his throat and got to the second point of his visit. “I came into Pittsburgh mainly to talk to you today, but John tells me that a little fucker that we both know is being arraigned today. I’m going to be there. Want to come with me?”

“Me? Go to court with Cole? I don’t think…”

“Gus, the best way to deal with fears and worries and guilt is to face it head on. I think you should come with me. Look that fucker in the eye and show him that you’re a million times better than he could ever hope to be.”

Gus’ face broke into a smile. “Well, when you put it that way…”

“Go put on something that makes you look devastatingly beautiful.”

“Isn’t that your domain?”

“You can run me a close second … and one of these days you’ll be miles ahead of me in that department.”

“I love you, Pop.”

“You said that before,” Brian smirked. “And, Gus, I love you right back.”

Gus stood and ran into the house. He felt better than he had in days.



*****



“You will be bound over for trial,” the judge said and banged her gavel.

Cole shook his head and looked at his cousin. He turned to leave the courtroom and noticed the two Kinney men sitting in the audience. Cole grinned and winked at Gus, trying to recapture some of his former bravado. Brian watched Gus blanch. He was about to step in when Cole made a fatal error.

“Hey, baby cakes,” Cole said to Gus, before they could take him away. “I see you couldn’t stay away from me.”

Gus felt his temper flare. How could Cole still talk to him like that? “I just came to see you get what you deserved. You’re the one going to jail … not me, asshole.”

Cole scowled and looked at the older Kinney. He was more beautiful than ever.

“You’ll make some con a good bitch. Enjoy,” Brian said smugly.

Cole felt the blood drain from his face. He hadn’t thought about that. Fuck!

“Let’s go, Gus, our work here is done,” Brian said gently as he stood up. Gus followed him out of the courtroom.



*****



The following day, Brian picked up Gus from his mothers’ house and they headed for the airport to meet Ray’s flight.

“You feeling better today?” Brian asked as they drove.

“A little. You were right. I was glad I went to court and faced Cole,” Gus admitted.

Brian smiled. “I’m always right. Haven’t I told you that?”

“About as many times as you’ve told me that sorry’s bullshit.”

“Have I gotten through to you yet?”

Gus laughed. “Yeah, Pop, I think you have.”

“Good. Just remember you’re a good kid and I love you, Justin loves you, Bree loves you, the family…”

“Okay, okay, I get it.”

“Just so you know,” Brian smirked.

“You’re impossible,” Gus sighed.

“And that’s why you love me.”

“There’s a million reasons I love you, Pop. You’ve been great about this whole thing.”

Brian shook his head. “I wanted to rip Cole Adams’ dick out through his throat. I don’t think that was so great.”

“But you didn’t do it. You let me learn for myself.”

“You know you wouldn’t have listened to me if I told you to stay away from Cole.”

Gus looked thoughtful. “I thought I knew him better than you … or anyone else.”

“You did, but he was a sly little fucker.”

“I won’t make that same mistake again,” Gus vowed.

“Don’t be too sure, Sonny Boy.”

“Huh?”

“Love can make you do some strange things.”

“Like marry Justin and settle down and have a child together and…”

“We’re talking about you, my lad.”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus chuckled as they pulled into the airport garage.



*****



“Ray, over here!” Gus shouted, waving his arms in the direction of his friend who had just collected his bag and was coming out of the secure area of the airport.

“Hey, Gus,” Ray smiled as he sped up to get to his friend quicker.

The two boys hugged … hard … and long. Brian smiled and shook his head. ‘And so it begins … again,’ he thought. “Raymond,” Brian said aloud.

Ray released Gus and shook Brian’s hand. “Good to see you again, Mr. Kinney.”

‘Seems like you were much happier to see my son,’ Brian thought to himself. “Let’s go, boys.”

They made their way back to the car. Ray and Gus were chattering away at each other. Brian let them talk as he loaded Ray’s bag into the back of Justin’s SUV beside Gus’ bag. They would both be staying at the cottage for the next two weeks. The boys climbed into the backseat, leaving Brian to drive them home. ‘Just like a fucking chauffeur,’ he thought. ‘This must be what it’s like to be invisible.’ He watched the boys in the rearview mirror all the way back to Edna’s Treasures. He never uttered a word. He wasn’t sure he could have gotten a word in edgeways even if he’d tried.

When they pulled up the lane to the house, the front door was flung open and Bree came barreling out. She was closely followed by Justin. Ray got out of the car, and Bree flung her arms around his legs.

“Ray, I’m happy you’re here,” she crowed.

“No kidding, short stuff,” he laughed, using the nickname that Gus always had for his little sister. “Give me five.”

Bree held up her little hand and high-fived Ray. Then she giggled happily. She liked Ray and Jeff a lot, much more than that stupid Cole. Maybe Ray would cheer her brother up. He looked happier already.

Gus watched Ray with Bree. It made him feel all warm inside, especially the way he high-fived Bree and talked to her like a real person. He couldn’t help but notice the difference between that and how someone else had treated his sister.

“Ray, I made you a card. Come see,” Bree stated loudly. She grabbed his hand and started to pull him towards the house.

“I’ll bring the bags,” Gus laughed.

“Thanks,” Ray called back. “I’m going to be busy for a while.”

Gus smiled. “I know.” He understood the powers of his little sister only too well. He watched Bree pull Ray into the house. He knew that he was very happy to have Ray there with him … for two whole weeks. They had plenty of time.

Brian pulled the bags out of the SUV. “A hand here, Sonny Boy, if you don’t mind.”

Gus looked at his father and moved to pick up the bags.

“What’s your gut telling you right now, Gus?” Brian had to ask.

“That’s what I’m trying to figure out.”

“You will, Sonny Boy, you will.”

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

After the Fall

Epilogue





About a week after ‘the sting’, life was returning to normal. Instead of a lengthy trial at the taxpayers’ expense, Cole and his cousin pleaded guilty. The evidence was too damning. Lex had no prior arrest record, so his sentence was reduced somewhat, but because the theft involved a valuable Justin Taylor original, he had to do some prison time. Cole was found to have a prior arrest record in New York. Brian and Simon made Barbara Carter of the GLC aware of what happened. Several young men from the GLC came forward revealing that they too had been similarly cheated and duped by Cole. The cities of Pittsburgh and New York were currently in negotiations regarding the disposition of one Cole Adams.

The family rallied once more and descended upon Edna’s Treasures for one whopper of a barbecue. They had several things to celebrate. Patrick’s arm was well on the mend and he was able to go riding again with Bree and her friends. Gus appeared to have gotten over his ‘love affair’, and although still embarrassed, he was enjoying the rest of the summer and his time with Ray. They spent most of their afternoons together at the stream or exploring the woods surrounding the cottages. Gus made it a point to thank each of his vast family for their love and support during the ‘Cole’ incident.

Ted officially took over Wertshafter’s lock, stock and barrel making Schmidt’s Personal Accountants a reality.

Brian had the Tremont apartment house ‘fumigated’ as he put it. All locks, pass codes and a few doors were replaced or upgraded. He kept the security cameras and then decided to have John’s construction crew, one that was made up of Hunter’s kids from the Village project, come in to paint and spruce up the interior walls and halls.

Drew’s concern about the little white lie he told to Emmett was completely unwarranted. Once Emmett learned the truth of his involvement in the sting, he gushed and fawned over his brave hero.

All was right in the world again....so it seemed.

“Brian, what’s wrong? You look pre-occupied about something,” John observed. “Gus seems no worse for wear. The whole family is having one hell of a good time at the barbecue today and Carl said you’ll be getting your possessions back soon. What are you fretting about?”

“Fretting?” Brian arched his brow at John’s turn of phrase.

“You know what I mean. Now, spill.” John arched his own Kinney brow.

“It’s Justin, he’s got some bee up his ass about a new project and I can’t get him off the computer. He’s been on that thing day and night since he finished up the Seasons project.”

“When does Sidney launch the show?”

“Sometime in September. This is something new Justin’s been working on. I haven’t seen him this enthusiastic about a project in a long time.” John gave Brian an incredulous look. “This is different. I can’t explain it; he’s even more consumed than normal.”

“What’s the theme of the project?”

“Fractals.”

“Fractals, as in chaos theory?”

“Yup.”

“As if our lives aren’t chaotic enough,” John quipped.

“Welcome to my fractalized world!”

-TBC-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1003