We The Jury by Neverbreeze
Summary:

stories/412/images/wethejury.jpg

Justin didn't meet Brian that day on Liberty Avenue. In fact he chickened out and didn't go. Now, there is a murder case. 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney
Tags: Real Life Issues
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 15878 Read: 22913 Published: May 25, 2017 Updated: Mar 09, 2022
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Prologue by Neverbreeze

2. Day One by Neverbreeze

3. Day Two-Part One by Neverbreeze

4. Day Two-Part Two by Neverbreeze

5. Day Three by Neverbreeze

6. Day Four-Part One by Neverbreeze

7. Day Four-Part Two by Neverbreeze

8. Post Trial by Neverbreeze

Prologue by Neverbreeze
Author's Notes:

This is a story that wouldn't let go of me.

“Maybe you can get out of it,” Daphne, his best friend said.

They were sitting on the edge of her parents’ pool, taking in the summer rays.

“Can’t. I don’t have a valid excuse. Mom said it’s my civic duty or some garbage like that. She got called for jury duty once. She never sat on a jury though, she said the same would probably happen with me. I can take my sketch book, so at least I’ll have something to do.”

“But we were supposed to hang out all summer,” Daphne whined. “It’s our last summer before college.”

It was funny to hear her whine because she was the mature one. He loved her so much though, without her he would have never survived school. At times, she was his only friend not just his best friend. She was the reason he was as sane as he was now. He thought if anyone should have got jury duty it should be her.

“What if you get picked to sit on a murder trial?” she asked, kicking her feet in the water.

“What lawyer would ever pick a teenager to sit on the jury of a murder trial? Those are all going to be parents in their forties with bad breath…like my dad.”

She giggled. “If you say so. Anyway, are you spending the night tonight?” she asked.

He sighed. “I better go home. My parents are fighting a lot and Molly gets scared.”

Dark clouds started rolling in, Justin hoped it wasn’t a sign of things to come.

“I wish your mom would just kick him out,” Daphne said hotly.

“I know, me too. She’s too scared to be on her own though. Well, I got to go.”

As he walked home, his mind wandered. What would happen if his mom really did leave his dad? Would he have to stay and help her out? It was selfish but this was his time to fly the nest. He had already sent off his letter confirming his spot at PIFA. He had gotten enough scholarships to pay for all four years. Which was good because his dad already said he wouldn’t pay for anything but Dartmouth.

“Please keep your voice down,” he heard his mom plea.

They were in his dad’s office. Justin quietly shut the front door. He heard thunder roll in as he did, he had just beat the storm home. It was still pretty bright and sunny when his left Daphne’s. Now it was dark and stormy outside.

A fist slammed in to the wall, shaking it. Justin wanted to go in there and tell his dad to leave. But he hadn’t hit his mother or him and Molly. His dad didn’t need to hit them, he used intimidation and cruel words. It was clear to anyone watching, his dad wanted out of the family. He was just trying to make his mother make the first move. Then he could pretend like the injured party.

Justin wished his mom would just take his sister to his grandparents’ house. They had just moved back to Pittsburgh. His grandfather had just sold his agency in Seattle. They were supposed to have a welcome home party for them at the end of the month. He wished they could move or his dad leave. It didn’t matter which.

Quietly, he walked up the stairs. He tuned out their arguing. It was about his dad’s assistant again. They all knew he was banging her.

“Justin,” a pained whimper said.

Looking at his sister’s bedroom door he saw her. Her face was red and puffy from crying.

“Have you eaten yet?” he asked her.

She shook her head. “No,” she said quietly.

“How about I make some sandwiches and we go into the basement. We can watch TV down there and play monopoly.” He hoped that would get a small smile out of her. Sadly, it didn’t. But she did nod her head. Their parents fighting could be heard everywhere in the house except the basement. Thankfully, the previous owners soundproofed it because their daughter had a band.

Quickly, he made them both turkey sandwiches and grabbed each a bottle of pop.

Once they were downstairs it felt like he could breathe again. They didn’t have to be quiet because of the soundproofing.

“I hate it when they fight,” Molly said, finally breaking her silence.

“I know. How long have they been going at it?”

“Since I got home from Jamie’s. They just went in Dad’s office a couple minutes before you got home though.”

Jamie’s mom usually dropped Molly off before lunch on Sunday’s. It was nearing six now, that meant they’d been at it for hours. They ate their sandwiches and just started Monopoly, with Powerpuff girls on in the background, when their mom came downstairs.

“There you two are, I’ve been looking all over.”

It was a lie, she knew they hid out in the basement to get away from the yelling.

“Sorry, Mom,” Justin said as he rolled the dice. A three.

“What?” Molly yelled.

He grinned at her. “I think I’ll buy it.” He said before buying Broadway.

“I was thinking,” their mom said sitting down at the table with them. “Maybe we could spend a few days at your grandparents’ house.”

Justin held his breath not daring to hope. By the look on Molly’s face, she was trying to do the same.

“That sounds great. I’ve missed them.” His grandfather was a bit of an oddball and his grandmother was just as odd but he would go with a smile on his face. He wouldn’t care if they were devil worshipers, anything to get away from their dad.

 

His mother smiled wanly at him and just watched them play.

Day One by Neverbreeze

Justin woke up with his alarm blaring in his ear, again. It was summer. He didn’t have to go to school. Why was his alarm going off?

“Justin, it’s time to get up. You need to shower before you’re late,” his mom said, coming into his room.

Just like that he remembered he had jury duty. Groaning, he sat up. “What’s the worst that could happen if I don’t go?” he whined.

“Jail. Now get up,” she said.

After she shut the door he got out of bed and stomped to the bathroom. Being an adult sucked.

The shower was quick and same was his shaving. His facial hair grew slow but it annoyed him so he made sure to shave every day. It just made things easier.

“Here, take my car,” his mom said handing him her keys. He had just entered the kitchen. His sister was eating eggs and bacon, his stomach growled loudly.

“I thought you and Molly were going over Grandmother’s?” he asked panicking some.

“Your grandfather is going to pick us up. I’m taking your bag over there with us. I’d feel better if you have a car. Just remember park where they tell you to park on the summons.”

“Yes, Mother. Can I eat now?” he asked eying the bacon and eggs left on the table.

“No time, here take this,” she said handing him a granola bar.

“But, Mom…”

“Don’t but Mom me. You should have got up the first three times your alarm went off.”

Traffic was insane near the courthouse. He found the parking garage that the summons said to park at. All he took with him was his sketch pad, pencil and his summons.

Looking at the crowd waiting to get through security made him wonder why this didn’t happen during the school year. This was going to suck.

A portly man bumped into him before grumbling and cutting line. “Watch it, fag,” the man sneered.

Justin decided it wasn’t worth the headache and let it go. He just wanted to get this whole thing over with. It did make him wonder if the guy knew somehow by looking at him he was gay, or maybe the guy thought it was the worst putdown he could think of.

Going through security was a little scary because the security guard looked like he could tear him apart. He shivered as he was patted down after going through the metal detector, it made him wonder if they were always this careful. He had to show the guard his summons, so he knew where to go.

Checking in was simple, he was handed a questionnaire after and directed to sit down with several other people. The questions were simple, if a little invasive. Mostly about how he felt about certain things, like theft, murder, redemption, the media. What he watched, listened to, etc. Once he was done they took them all into an even bigger room to watch a video. It explained the history of jury duty and it was completely boring so he drifted in and out.

Finally, when it was over they were instructed to wait in the room. They could read, write, play on their phones. That was when he broke out his sketch pad. He started sketching the room and people in the room with him. The old, portly man was in the front row, sighing loudly. Soon he was lost in his drawing.

The door opened back up and a woman in a uniform told them she would be calling names, if she called their name step outside of the room and follow her. It shocked him when his name was called. He caught enough to know this was Voir Dire, whatever the hell that was. Maybe he should have paid more attention to the video.

He was given a number and told to sit in a jury seat, it was scary. He glanced around the courtroom. There was a hard-faced man in a crisp black suit, he had several papers around him on the desk in front of him. The other desk was two men, one looking at paper just like the other desk guy. But it was the guy beside him that drew Justin’s attention. The guy was the most gorgeous guy he’d ever saw in his life. What really threw him though was the anger clearly on the guy’s face. It was frightening to see; the man was terrifying. He wasn’t moving an inch one way or the other, just sitting their glaring at something that Justin suspected only he could see.

“Before we begin, I’m going to read a summary of the information. The defendant, Brian Kinney, is charged with the offense of murder in the first degree. To sustain this charge the state must prove the following things beyond a reasonable doubt. That with the purpose of the causing the death of Kip Thomas, Brian Kinney caused the death of Kip Thomas. This information is just to let you know what the case is about and the defendant name, you should not use that information as any evidence of any guilt. Or any other reason besides to understand why you are here today,” Judge Maxwell said.

Murder. This guy didn’t look like a murderer, but he didn’t know what one looked like. Not a GQ model though. But the man’s glare was still a bit off putting. Justin watched as his lawyer whispered in his ear, the man’s face lightened a smidge.

The judge then read off a bunch of names involved in the case and asked them if they knew any of the witnesses or defendant. A tall man in juror seat four raised his hand.

“Yes, Juror number four?” the judge asked.

“I’ve had sex with the defendant,” he said casually.

Justin’s head swung around to look at him. Did this guy just admit to having a homosexual relationship with the guy? What would people think? Justin looked back at the defendant, Brian Kinney. He looked unfazed by the information. Were they boyfriends? Whatever it was, he would never be able to say he had sex with a man so freely. Although, he never had sex with any man. He did have sex with Daphne once, it was uncomfortable all around and took months for their friendship to be alright again.

Juror number four was excused and one of the non-numbered jurors was instructed to take four’s spot.

After that the prosecutor, Torrent Lewis, stood at the podium and started talking. He explained what Voir Dire was, French for to see and speak. It was basically the attorneys’ questioning the jury. He asked if they had heard about the case through media or friends. None said they did. That was when the prosecutor started to read little more facts about the case. In case they would remember hearing something about it. The prosecutor went on to talk about the police finding the dead man in the home of Brian Kinney. That he was strangled to death, and a scarf was found around his neck. Mr. Kinney was not at the residence at the time. A neighbor had heard noise and screaming and called police. Again, they were asked if they had heard about the case. The answer was still no from all of them.

“Is there anyone here that is victim of a crime?” the prosecutor asked. Several hands went up.

“Yes, Mrs. Yates?” he asked.

“I was robbed at gunpoint ten years ago.”

 

This went on and on for hours. Little by little the jury changed, but he stayed. Finally, late into the evening, there was fourteen of them left. Twelve jurors and two alternates. Justin sat stunned. This was really going to happen, he was going to be sitting on a jury. Deciding a man’s guilt or innocence. This was so fucked up. 

Day Two-Part One by Neverbreeze

It had been late by the time Justin got to his grandparents’ house the night before. His mother had been the only one awake. She looked more relaxed than he ever remembered her. After she showed him to the room he would be staying in, he went straight to bed. This morning though, he expected the third degree from all three of them.

He was due at the courthouse again at eight. Luckily, he fell asleep easily and woke up before his alarm.

It was just after five when he made his way downstairs. His grandparents lived in a spacious five-bedroom house, they liked to throw parties so they wanted something big.

He heard quiet arguing as he neared the kitchen.

“Daddy will give you the money, Jennifer,” he heard his grandmother say.

“I’m tired of needing a man to take care of me and my children, Mother. What kind of example does that make for them?”

“Just until you get on your feet. Justin will be in college in a few months, you need to worry about you and Molly right now.”

“Just because he’ll be in school doesn’t mean anything. He’ll still be living with me.”

Justin shivered, that wasn’t going to happen unless she stayed with his father. If she did, he would stay to protect her and Molly. His father was a powder keg ready to explode.

“Are you sure, dear? He’s a young man. He’ll want to have his little boyfriends over.”

Justin’s jaw dropped. No one except Daphne knew he was gay. How had his grandmother figured it out? Maybe she called regular friends boyfriends, maybe it was an old person thing. He had only seen her a few times since they moved back.

“Mother, Justin won’t have boyfriends,” his mother said, his heart sinking, he’d thought she might accept him.

“What? Oh, I don’t know what their called these days. Partners is what I think Oprah said.”

“Justin is not gay.”

He was kind of offended at how loud and heartily his grandmother laughed. “Oh, course he is. He told you so himself.” That was news to him.

“He’s never.”

“How easy you forget. He was four years old. Saw that boy at the Zoo and insisted we follow him around. Told Daddy and me that he was gonna marry that boy. Told you the same when we brought you home.”

“Mother, you said that boy was at least sixteen. Justin just was infatuated with an older boy, there was nothing sexual about it.”

“Never said it was sexual, he was only four. But I know a besotted boy. He followed that boy and his friend until we left the zoo. Daddy had to pick him up and carry him away kicking and screaming. Do have to admit though, for a teenager, the boy was a cute kid. He had been sweet to Justin too. Called him Sonny boy.”

Justin didn’t remember any of this. He vaguely remembered his grandparents took him out to different places when he was little. It stopped after his grandfather and father fought.

“You said it was just a phase,” his mother said.

“True, I said that to calm you down. He was four and you were acting like he was saying he was going to an orgy.”

“MOTHER!”

Justin bit back a laugh. His grandmother, she wasn’t prim and proper like his mother. His grandfather’s parents lived with them and made sure his mother and her brothers were proper. But his grandparents were just characters…and he loved them.

Justin decided to break it up before his mother started fighting with his grandmother. Entering the kitchen his grandmother smiled at him while his mother looked at him oddly. Probably trying to see if he was a gay.

“Hello, sweetheart,” his mother said.

“Morning. I wanted to get up early enough for breakfast today. Yesterday was torture until lunch with only a granola bar in my stomach.”

His grandmother made a tsking noise before pulling a chair out for him. “Sit down right now. You’re a growing boy, I’ll make you my world-famous eggs Benedict.”

“Thank you, Grams.”

“Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell food of an Englishman,” his grandfather said as he stomped into the kitchen.

“Morning, Gramps,” Justin said, standing up and giving his grandfather a hug.

“How’s my little bunny this morning?” his grandfather asked.

“I’m eighteen, please stop calling me bunny,” he plead, his face reddening.

“Nonsense, you’ll always be my little bunny. You even still crinkle your nose when your mad.”

“Morning,” Molly said, coming into the kitchen.

“Morning, Princess,” his grandfather said.

“Wait, why does she get called princess?” he asked.

“Would you rather be called princess? Is that a gay thing? I guess I could do that,” his grandfather said.

“Geez, it’s not a gay thing. Forget I ever said anything,” he muttered.

“Whatever you say…princess,” his grandfather cackled.

He ate his breakfast and tried to keep his nerves in check. Today the trial started. He would be sitting in judgement of someone. Someone’s life was going to be in his hands. Suddenly the food he had been eating felt like lead in his stomach.

“Are you alright?” his grandmother asked. “You look a bit green.”

“I’m fine, Grams. I just need to get ready to go.”

“Your mother said you’re on a jury. I know you’re not allowed to talk about it but just remember. No matter what the case is, this is someone’s life. Take that seriously, give it your full attention. Don’t let you mind wander,” his grandfather said, suddenly serious.

“I know. I’ll take it seriously, I promise.” He stood up and grabbed his things. “Mom, I’m going to go stay at Daphne’s tonight.”

“Alright, honey. Your grandmother said you can use her car throughout this. She won’t be needing it.”

Justin looked at his grandmother and leaned down to kiss her cheek. “Thank you, Grams.”

“No problem, dear. Just make sure you don’t knock up the girl.”

Again, he was kind of offended by not only his grandmother’s uproarious laughing but his grandfather’s too. It did seem he didn’t need to come out of the closet with them, but they also seemed to be getting way too much enjoyment from it.

He regretted taking his grandmother’s car the second he saw it. It was a lime green Cutlass Oldsmobile. It looked like it belonged on an episode of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Going through security was easier this time. He was directed to a smaller room where a few of the other jurors were. A bailiff was there, and instructed them again that they weren’t allowed to discuss pretty much anything.

After what felt like a lifetime, they were escorted into the courtroom. Unlike the day before it was filled. There were people with tense faces, sad faces and some looking openly hostile.

(I don’t know any more about courts than court tv, My Cousin Vinny and some intro videos I’ve been watching on YouTube. So, if there are people out there with real knowledge of this, I’m sorry. Just suspend reality for a moment. I do try and get close.)

The judge went on a long-winded speech that basically said they weren’t allowed to talk about the trial. They had been told that the day before.

“Last night did any of you read or listen to any television or radio about the case?” the judge asked jury.

Justin shook his head, unsure if he could actually speak. The rest did the same.

“Did any of you get on the internet and do independent search about the case, people, places?”

Again, he shook his head.

“Did you discuss this case with anyone?”

Another shake.

“Did any of you send an email about the case?”

Another shake. But he was starting to think going over Daphne’s would be a mistake, she would try get it out of him.

The charges were again read out for the court. The jurors in the box with Justin were all older than him. Four other men and seven women. He was juror number seven. The judge talked forever about not talking to anyone.

The prosecutor was the first to make his opening statement. Justin felt on the edge of his seat to find out more about the mysterious defendant. He knew looks could be deceiving but the man was beautiful, he hoped he wasn’t a killer.

“On the night of December 24th 2000, Kip Thomas went to Brian Kinney’s residence, a senior executive at the ad agency he worked at. That was the last time anyone other than Mr. Kinney saw him. That night, this man, Brian Kinney, killed Kip Thomas in a premeditated move. Something he planned since the victim filed sexual harassment charges against him.”

“OBJECTION! That is inadmissible,” the defense said, jumping up.

Justin watched the prosecutor smirk, it seemed he got what he wanted out.

“Bailiff, lead the jury out of the courtroom.”

With that they led out of the courtroom. Justin could hear muttering behind him but not real words. Justin wished he could still be courtroom.

What the hell is going on in there?


Brian was seething, Greg, his lawyer said that the sexual harassment claim wouldn’t be brought up. He had beaten that charge with Mel as his lawyer. Because he was cleared of it he was told it wasn’t allowed to be brought up. Hell, they had a whole argument about it before they brought the jury in.

All this was so fucked. He hadn’t killed Kip, he hadn’t even seen the little weasel since he beat the sexual harassment claim. Marty was too scared to fire him because Brian did have sex with him, so he moved him to where he wouldn’t be running into Brian.

Then on Christmas eve he had left his loft and flew out to Australia. A fire started in the loft below his, the fire department broke down his door and found Kip in his loft. He had a scarf around his neck and was tied to his bed.

The body was found hours before he landed in Sydney. He got a fancy extradition. He didn’t fight it because he knew he was innocent. Now six months later he was in middle of hell. His friends, even Mel believed he was innocent but that didn’t help him much. None were in the courtroom because they were all character witnesses. The only witness that could help him was the guy he fucked before he got on the plane. It seemed fitting that his no names, numbers or repeats would be his downfall. All he had to go on was tall, brunet, built guy that liked to talk about his Pomeranian after they fucked.

Sadly, he wasn’t at any of his usual spots. He met the guy a gas station, one that had a dummy security camera. His biggest fuck up on the whole damn thing was paying with cash instead of his card. For that one mistake, he would be sitting in jail for the rest of his life. That is if the idiot jury listened to the fucking prosecutor, who seemed to be out for his blood. He was so fucked…without lube.

 

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

For those who are waiting. A new chapter of Breaking News will be up tomorrow.

Day Two-Part Two by Neverbreeze
Author's Notes:

Sorry, wasn't feeling well. 

He watched as the prosecutor and defense argued over what the jury heard. When it all happened, he never planned for it to go off this well. Kip was collateral damage; Brian Kinney was his target. He never meant to kill Kip in the beginning, but then it seemed to be written in the stars, a way to take the great Brian Kinney down. He had gone to Brian’s loft looking for him, that’s when he ran into Kip. He had never met the guy but he had heard a lot about him. Kip had told him that he left something in Brian’s loft. He knew it was a lie, but he led the man up to the loft. Used the spare key that he had gotten off the hook at Michael’s.

The first plan had been to plant drugs in the loft or child porn on his computer. He wanted Kinney gone…for good. Once he and Kip were upstairs things seemed to progress without even trying. Kip started to come on to him, the best part of being in Brian loft, he had so many people in and out of there, it would be impossible to pick him out with DNA.

Kip let him tie him up, smiling lustily at him. The stupid kid probably thought he was getting one over on Kinney. It wasn’t until he put the scarf around the boy’s neck that he seemed to realize he was in trouble. The absolute thrill he got from squeezing the life out of a virtual stranger was exhilarating. After the kid was dead, he knew that they would have to find his body soon. He wanted Brian locked up as soon as possible. So, he started a fire just outside the door of the loft under Brian’s. He did his best not to smile when he thought about the great Brian Kinney rotting in prison.

At just that moment, Brian turned and looked at him. His face was hard but not suspicious, he had no clue he was looking at the man who set him up. That’s the way it would stay too.


Brian watched the jury being led back in, the judge said a bunch of nonsense about them disregarding what they just heard…like that was possible.

He looked at the jury, not for the first time. Juror One was a female, late sixties with a sour looking expression, she reminded him of his mother. Juror Two, a forty-something bald, black man with a beer gut. Juror Three, a thin man with a bit of a horse face, around forty. Juror Four, an older Asian woman, she held herself like a take-no-prisoners’ kind of woman. Juror Five, a young and pretty woman with black hair, her tanned skin looked natural. Juror Six, a plump woman of about thirty. Juror Seven, was a hot little, blonde twink. He couldn’t be more than eighteen. His blue eyes were much too innocent for this trial. Juror Eight, a big, middle aged man, he had black hair and a goatee. Juror Nine, a woman that looked old enough to be in the grave…ten years ago. Juror Ten, tall stud that sort of looked familiar to Brian. He couldn’t have fucked the guy because they made a point in asking during selection. Three had to leave because they knew him intimately. Juror Eleven, a middle-aged, dark-skinned woman who looked about six months pregnant. Juror Twelve, a bitch if he ever saw one. She had been glaring at him since they started. She was tall, young and sneering.

“Counsel, call your first witness,” the Judge said patiently.

“The prosecution calls Tyra Yearly to the stand,” Torrent Lewis, the prosecutor said.

A tall, dark skinned woman walked up the stand. She had short hair and an air of hostility to her. After the swearing in, the prosecutor walked in front of his table.

“State your full name please for the court.”

“Tyra Ann Yearly,” she answered, glaring at the prosecutor.

“What do you do for a living, Ms. Yearly?”

“I’m a firefighter.”

“What station?”

“Station Twenty-eight.”

“How long have you worked as a firefighter?”

“Fourteen years.”

“So, you’ve seen a lot of things in your line of work?”

“Yes.”


Justin could see how much she didn’t want to be there. He didn’t know why she was so upset. Maybe she was the defendant’s friend.

“On December 24th, 2000, were you at work?”

“Yes.”

“Did you answer a call to a fire at 6 Fuller Street, on the corner of Tremont on that day?”

“Yes.”

“When you got there what did you see?”

“Smoke coming out of the windows of the second floor.”

“What did you do then?”

“After gearing up, I went up to the top landing, to make sure everyone was out. The call we got said that they thought the neighbor was upstairs in his loft. I and another firefighter, Juan Torrez, broke down the door.”

“What did you find inside?” Even Justin could see the glee on the man’s face.

“A young man, tied to a large bed. He had a white scarf tied around his neck.”

“What did you do next?”

Justin listened as she explained everything she had done. It was far too late to have saved the man. After the relatively small fire on the second floor was out, the police were brought in.

The defense, just asked pretty much the same questions but made her admit, that there was no trace of Brian Kinney that day.

The first cop on scene was next. Justin knew right away he didn’t like him. That was followed up by a detective he liked even less. The man creeped him out. Detective Rickard was giving off a bad vibe. It made him very uncomfortable. Finally, after hours of cross-examination, they adjourned for the evening.

Before he was led out he felt someone’s eyes on him. Looking up, he locked eyes with the defendant, looking as though he could see through him.


“I fucking hate this,” Brian bitched. He should be glad that he didn’t have to spend his time in jail, but that didn’t help matters.

His lawyer had pulled off a miracle and gotten him bail. Even though his loft had been cleaned up from its crime scene, it wasn’t a great idea to move back in. Not that he was in a hurry, someone died there. He wanted to get another place but his lawyer thought it would be better if he moved in with family. His options were, Deb and Vic or Mel and Linz. Like hell would he move in with the Munchers and be forced to listen to whatever atrocities happen in their bedroom.

So, now he was living with Debbie and Vic. He had replaced Mikey’s twin bed, he couldn’t sleep that thing. After that Debbie reminded him that he really should save money. Ryder had let him go, his savings was being quickly depleted by his lawyer. He just hoped that starting over was worst thing that happens. He’d already had an offer to join another agency if he beats the charges. They didn’t even seem to care if he was guilty or innocent, just as long as he didn’t go to jail for it.

“What were you reading?” he asked, seeing Vic cover the paper he just was reading.

“It’s nothing.”

Like he believed that. “Tell me,” he demanded.

Instead of telling him, Vic uncovered the paper, pushing it towards Brian. His eyes locked in on the headline.

Renowned Ad Exec, Brian Kinney, Pittsburgh’s Gay Strangler?

Brian glared at Vic before turning towards the stairs, hoping to pass out soon.

“Are you hungry?” Debbie asked.

“No carbs after seven,” he reminded her.

“Does that still count if you are facing prison?”

“Yes.”

He stalked to his temporary cell, Mikey’s old bedroom. The worst part was that his friends were unable to be in the courtroom with him until they testified. Only David had been able to be in the courtroom today, and he was hardly a friend. There was something off about the way he smiled at him in the courtroom. Maybe he was glad to finally get Brian out of Michael’s life.

He fell face forward on the bed, closing his eyes. One day he hoped to wake up from this nightmare.


Justin pulled his grandmother’s car in front of Daphne’s house. His mind had been racing since he left the courtroom. Those hazel eyes seemed to burn into him. With these feelings, he knew he probably should say something to the bailiff. But he knew he never would, he couldn’t leave him. It was weird as hell, but he just felt like he had seen those eyes before.

“About time you got here,” Daphne said as she threw the door open.

“I told you I would be late.”

“That must mean the trial is important. Is it a murder trial? Mass murder?”

“Really, Daph, I can’t talk about it. If you’re gonna bug me I’ll go to my grandparents’ house.”

Daphne let out a squeal. “I still can’t believe it. Your mom and sister are finally away from him. I didn’t want to say anything but I wasn’t sure how long until he might hit one of them.”

Justin hated to admit it but he agreed. “You know what this means?”

“Daphne and Justin…the college years,” she said, grinning.

They had decided if his mother left his dad before they started school, they would move in together. Daphne’s parents didn’t want her living on campus, they thought it would be too much partying. Now that he didn’t have to worry about his mom and sister, he could concentrate on being young. Maybe even losing his pesky virginity.

“It’s going to be awesome. Once this trial ends I can look for a job. Then we’ll go out clubbing, maybe I can even talk you into going on Liberty Avenue with me.”

“I said I would, you were the one that chickened out. Then you decided to go by yourself, and you chickened out again.”

“Justin, dear, what in the world did you park in front of my house?” Daphne’s mom, Bonita asked.

“It’s my grandmother’s car, she’s letting me use it while I do jury duty.”

“Well, park in the garage, I don’t want people to think it’s ours. Daphne, you can move my car.”

Justin bit back a laugh when Daphne rolled her eyes. He loved her parents, but they were all about how they appeared to others. Daphne said it was because they still dealt heavily with racism even though they were the best in their fields.

It only took a moment for them to switch the cars. He parked inside the garage and Daphne’s mom’s car was parked beside hers.

“Do you have to go to bed right away or can you stay up?” Daphne asked.

“It’s still really early, Daph. All I have to do there is not fall asleep and pay attention. And trust me, that’s not a problem.” His eyes widened, he’d said too much.

“Why is that, Mr. Taylor? Is there a cute guy on the jury with you? Tall, dark and handsome?”

He thought yes to all accounts except being a juror. “Cut it out.”

“Oh, did you read the newspaper? They have this guy…”

“Stop, if it’s anything to do with any court, crime or anything like that you could compromise me and I’d have to tell the judge.”

“But you don’t even know what I was going to say.”

“That’s just the point, you don’t know what case I’m juror on. Let’s just talk about dumb stuff. Like, did you see Chris Hobbs?”

That was all Daphne needed before she was off. “Oh my god, that is the funniest thing I think I’ve ever seen. I hope he breaks his nose. What was he thinking?”

“I think it was obvious he wasn’t, he just realized high school was close to being over. No longer big fish in little pond. Now he just a run-of-the-mill loser.”

“I know, but I still can’t believe he broke into Mr. Ryan’s house trying to change his grade. He didn’t even get to graduate with us.”

“I heard he has to repeat his senior year, but in public school. I feel sorry for them,” Justin said, laughing.

“Still, twirling a sign for his uncle’s business in front of Dungrin’s Market. The humiliation.”

Justin smiled. “I know, it’s it great?”

He really didn’t think it was that bad, hell, he probably would do it to pay bills. It was the fact that Hobbs thought he was so far above everyone else that make it fun to see him down with the mere mortals. Hobbs had made it his life goal to pick on the weaker kids. Justin and Daphne had found themselves as his targets more time than once.

They wouldn’t admit it but they were both glad when he got suspended before prom. He really seemed to have a hard on for causing the most damage. It wasn’t even like he knew Justin was gay, he just suspected and that was enough to be a homophobic ass.

“Are you hungry?” Daphne asked, bringing him out of his thoughts.

 

He smiled. “Have you met me?”

Day Three by Neverbreeze

When Justin woke up, he showered and dressed for court. It was becoming routine now. He wondered what it would be like to sit where Brian Kinney was sitting. His life in the hands of twelve strangers, having his whole life on display.

“Honey, it’s just you and me this morning,” his grandmother greeted him as he walked into the kitchen. She was wearing a hideous pastel dress.

“You look…great, grams,” he said, kissing her cheek.

“Don’t you let the judge hear you lie like that, he’ll think your judgement is for shit. This thing is just awful, your grandfather had it ordered for me. He was so proud he figured out how to work the internets.” Justin laughed. “I wouldn’t laugh so quickly, he ordered you something last night.” Justin stopped laughing.

“What did he order?” Justin asked suspiciously.

“If I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise. But don’t worry, it said it was for the modern gay in the little description.”

Justin sighed. It was no use to keep denying it, his grandparents were accepting. Hopefully with time his mother would too. He just hoped whatever his grandfather ordered wasn’t sexual. With every part of him, he wished this. His grandparents called the internet ‘internets’. They shopped at flea markets for things they owned at one time that broke to replace them with the same, not get anything better. He loved them and they were nuts but a bit naïve when it came to new things. God, they were so embarrassing.

“So where is everyone?” he asked, changing subjects.

“Your grandfather took your mom and sister to pack some things. Don’t worry she’s going to grab some of your stuff.”

“Great, just want I want, my mother going through my draws.”

“Like she doesn’t already,” she tsked.

“Wait, what?”

“Shouldn’t you be getting to the courthouse? Listen to me, it sounds like you’re a lawyer or something.”

He worried for a moment that his grandmother wouldn’t be proud of his ambition to become an artist. “Is that what you want?”

She laughed loudly. “Hell, no. One crook in the family is enough.”

“Who’s a crook?”

“You didn’t think Cousin Tina made all that money playing the stock market, did you?”

Cousin Tina was just a hair younger than his grandmother. Her mother and Tina’s mother were twins. Tina lived in a huge house in West Virginia, with a pool and a pool boy that was twenty if he was a day.

“I never really thought about it. What did she do?” he asked curiously.

“Ah ah, can’t tell you that, I do have my secrets you know. Have you met Javier?” That was Tina’s pool boy.

“I haven’t been out to see her in years, not since dad forbade us. But Aunt Catherine sent a picture to mom a few months ago, he was in it.”

“That Tina, lawd have mercy. I can’t believe it, he’s young enough to be her grandson. I guess she’s, what do you call it? Ah yes, she’s a leopard.”

“Cougar,” he corrected.

“Whatever. Anyway, you better hurry up and eat,” she said pointing at a box of cereal.

“You made breakfast yesterday,” he pouted.

“That was a special occasion. If I made breakfast every morning you would never learn to make it on your own. I love your mother dearly, but she’s spoilt you rotten.”

By now he was getting a little angry, he wasn’t spoilt…much. Sure, Daphne said he was bratty…sometimes but his own grandmother.

“Am not.”

“Put the lip away. No need to pout like a five-year-old.”

He grabbed the cereal and poured it into a bowl he grabbed out of the cabinet. Then he poured the milk in, adding some sugar. His grandmother raised an eyebrow at him. He stared at her and added two more scoops. The tension was broke when she started laughing. “Just like your grandfather you are. Stubborn as hell.”

He laughed and started to eat. Halfway through with his breakfast he stopped. “Grams, what do you think of me being gay?”

“What’s to think about it? You are, fact. Still my first grandbaby. Still my sweet little Justin. I always knew, so did your mother, even though she denies it.”

“I heard what you told her yesterday. The story about the zoo.”

“Oh lawd, yes. That boy. You were obsessed with that boy.”

“What was his name?” Justin enjoyed hearing about stories when he was younger. After he overheard his mother and grandmother he wracked his brain. It came back but only bits and pieces. A tall, thin boy with torn jeans and sun glasses. He couldn’t see his face, but he remembered liking every time the older boy acknowledged him.

“Oh, it was so long ago, I don’t remember. Wait a second.” She closed her eyes. “Kenny. His name was Kenny.”

“Kenny? How’d you remember?”

“Another boy, not his friend, this one was a punk. He yelled something I don’t remember. Then he said something like, ‘Kenny, I knew your family is poor but I didn’t know you had to babysit kids and elderly.’ I remember because that was when he kind of changed. He went from laughing and talking to ignoring us. It’s when granddad and I decided to take you home because he was ignoring you then. It broke your little heart. You were screaming and kicking, your grandfather carried you away. Funny, I forgot that part until now. The man you chose to spend your life with, don’t let it be with someone who will throw you aside because of his ego.”

Justin laughed. “I promise, I don’t think I’m going to have that problem. I’ll have to meet a guy that meets my standards.”

“Keep your standards high. Your mother lowered hers and look what happened.”

“Hey, if she didn’t lower her standards, I wouldn’t have been born.”

“Well, not you. But maybe a grandson that picks up his dirty laundry.”

“You’re a mean old woman you know that?” he said without any heat.

“So, I’ve been told. Finish your food and get out of here.”

“Why, expecting a gentlemen caller? Should I tell gramps?”

“Please. Trust me, honey. With your grandfather, I have no need for another man.” She waggled her eyebrows.

“Eww. I’m leaving. You’re sick, that’s my grandfather you’re talking about with my grandmother. Sick.”

She was still laughing as he fled out the front door. It took the whole drive to get the images of his grandparents…together, out of his mind.

They were led into the courtroom, it looked packed. He took his numbered seat and looked down at his lap. Justin could feel the man’s eyes on him, sadly they were not the man he wanted to be looking at him. ‘Shit’, he thought, he shouldn’t be wanting a man on trial for murder looking at him. Shouldn’t but did, but instead of Mr. Brian Kinney, it was Juror number eight. The man was always sneering at him. Justin couldn’t think of anything he had done to him. The bailiff was always there, it wasn’t like they could even talk. Not that he wanted to talk to the man. It seemed that just Justin’s existence pissed the guy off. It didn’t help that the man sat next to him. Much too close if you asked him.

“The prosecution calls Joan Kinney.”

Justin watched as the defendant’s face went completely blank. It was almost like he wasn’t in the building anymore. A short, scarily thin woman walked into the courtroom. She was older, his mother maybe, she was followed by a younger woman who took a seat in the back.

“Please state your name for the record?” Lewis asked.

“Joan Marie Kinney.”

“What do you do for a living?”

“I’m retired.”

The defendant snorted, the woman scowled at him.

“How do you know the defendant?”

“He’s my son.”

“What kind of son is he?”

“He’s been nothing but a disappointment since the day he was born,” she said harshly. It looked to Justin that even the prosecutor looked taken aback by her venomous words.

After a moment, the lawyer composed himself for the next question.

“Was Brian ever violent?”

“He’s always been a violent boy. He would fight constantly with his father. If his father was alive today, knowing the things Brian’s done. I can just tell you that wouldn’t go over well.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“This-this vile life he’s living. Fornicating with other men. It’s an abomination.”

The lawyer wisely wrapped up his questioning before the woman spouted more hateful words.

Brian’s lawyer then stood. “Mrs. Kinney, I only have one question. Why did you come today?”

“To make sure this perversion is put behind bars. Men like him shouldn’t even be on this earth. It’s wrong in the eyes of God. Jack was right, he should have died in the womb.”

Justin saw the hit to Brian like it was a physical blow. Gone was his blank look…at least for a few moments. Damn, this woman made his father seem like a saint.

More witnesses came, these were people from Brian’s work who knew both victim and accused. From what Justin heard, Kip was alright in his job but didn’t want to work for it. Brian worked hard, went above and beyond to get the job done. Even working holidays, in fact that Christmas was the first one he would have off in five years.

Just after lunch it was the defense’s turn.

“The defense would like to call Deborah Novotny,” the defense attorney called.

A plump woman with a dark grey dress suit walked up to the stand. Her hair was short and graying. What she was wearing didn’t really surprise Justin, but it must have the defendant. He choked when she walked past him. He had to know she was coming, right? She was his witness after all.

“Please state your full name,” the defense attorney, Mr. Donahue asked.

“Deborah Ann Novotny.”

“What do you do for a living, Mrs. Novotny?”

“I’m a waitress.”

“Did you see Mr. Kinney the day of December 24th, 2000?”

“That morning, he came in for breakfast. We close at after breakfast on Christmas Eve.”

“Did he seem different that day?”

“No, he was excited for his trip. I asked him to bring me back a t-shirt. He always does when he goes off on his trips. I have more shirts from Ibiza than people who live there.”

“That’s nice of him. Why would he do that for you?”

“I don’t really know. It’s just something that started when he was in college. He and some friends went to Mexico. He brought me back this shirt with a jumping bean doing the filthiest thing you ever saw.” She guffawed at her memory it seemed.

“Have you ever met Mr. Thomas?”

“No.”

 

“And how do you know the defendant?”

“He’s like a son to me, has been since he was fourteen,” she said.

Justin got the impression she was holding herself back for all she was worth.

“What kind of person is Mr. Kinney?”

“A good boy, even with all the shit…fuck…excuse me. With all the things that has happened in his life, it’s a miracle that a decent human being. He worked da-very hard to get where he was before all this happened.”

“So, you don’t think he could have killed Mr. Thomas?”

“Of course not. Brian may be a lot of things but murderer isn’t one of them.”

There were some more questions but she just seemed to repeat what she said and the lawyer looked like he was trying to keep her calm. That all went to hell when it was the prosecution’s turn.

“Mrs. Novotny, is it?”

“Yes.”

“You’re a widow, are you not?”

Her eyes widened a little before narrowing. “No, I’m not.”

That seemed to shock the lawyer, like he wasn’t expecting that answer. “You have a son, is that correct?”

“Yes.” Even Justin could see her eyes shooting daggers at the man.

“Who is your son’s father?”

“I don’t really see how that’s any business of yours,” she snapped.

The lawyer spun around and walked to his desk, whispered between him and a blonde woman. “No further questions at this time,” he said.

“The defense calls Emmett Honeycutt.”

A tall, thin man entered the courtroom. He was wearing a peach suit that really stood out.

“Please state your full name.”

“Emmett Honeycutt.”

“Mr. Honeycutt, what’s your occupation?”

“I work sales in a clothing boutique.”

“Did you see Brian Kinney on the day of December 24th, 2000?”

“Yes, I had breakfast with him.”

This man seemed more controlled than the woman before him. The questions went back and forth. Finally, it was time for cross. Unlike before it seemed to go according to the prosecution.

“Mr. Honeycutt, has Mr. Kinney ever been violent that you know of?”

The man on the stand’s eyes shot to where the defendant was sitting.

“Well…you see…”

“Just answer the question please.”

“Yes, but it was self-defense.”

“That’s all, thank you.”

“You’re not listening to me. It was self-defense.”

“You may step down now.”

The next man wasn’t tripped up by anything the prosecutor said. Ted Schmidt was a plain man in a boring grey suit. But for as boring as he was he was a perfect witness. Justin learned more about Brian Kinney from this man than the others. It was clear the defense wasn’t worried about him being on the stand.

By the time they stopped for the night, Justin was ready to fall asleep. Even though it was a murder trial it wasn’t anything like tv. It was boring as hell. The only interesting thing was to watch Brian Kinney glare at everyone. Justin was starting to believe the man maybe capable of murder because if looks could kill, most of the people in the courtroom would be dead.

 

 

 

Day Four-Part One by Neverbreeze

“I’m glad to be wearing my own clothes again,” Debbie grumbled the next morning. When Mel picked out her clothes and told her not to wear her make up or wig, she about lost it. Then she asked if she wanted Brian to go away for life. She would do anything for Brian, even if it meant toning herself down. The boy didn’t kill anyone, any fool could see.

She was happy that she could sit in the courtroom now. She had made sure that she would be able to by switching shifts with Kenny, the waiter. Her, Emmett and Ted were going to stay in the courtroom and be there for Brian. He needed them, even though the little shit would never admit it.

After she sat Vic’s food in front of him, she smiled. Dammit, it was hard not talking about the case. Vic was due to take the stand today as was Lindsay, Melanie and Michael.

“I thought you looked very demure yesterday, sis,” Vic said. She just glared at him.

By that time Brian was coming down the stairs. He was already dressed for court.

“Bye,” he said, opening the front door.

“Aren’t you going to have breakfast?” she yelled.

“No,” was heard before the door slammed.

It was Emmett’s testimony. She knew it, she wasn’t in the courtroom for that one but he had told her after they left. That damn fight. She hadn’t been there at the time either, she heard about it secondhand. The boys, were at Woody’s, drinking and having fun. Well, turned out some guy had a score to settle with Frank, the bartender. He pulled a knife on Frank and was about to stab him. Brian had intervened trying to defuse the situation. That was when the man turned the knife on Brian. The man lunged at Brian and he put him down…hard. The man ended up having a broken arm because it took Brian breaking it before he stopped trying to stab him. Because of the injury the police questioned Brian and the boys. The police agreed, Brian was a hero not an offender. She wondered why the lawyer hadn’t asked Ted the violence question, he was there that night. Something was fishy, very fishy.


Brian sat in the courtroom waiting for the judge and jury to enter. He heard a noise from behind him and turned around. Debbie, Emmett and Ted were sitting directly behind him. They smiled but it didn’t reach their eyes. How could it? There was nothing to smile about. All he wanted to do is go back in time and slam his office door in Kip’s face before all this began.

He didn’t feel guilty about the weasel’s death, no, because it wasn’t his fault. That little fucker should have never been in his loft, Brian still wanted to know how he got in there. After he had got robbed months before he put in a whole new security system. He was still pissed off that the fuckers broke through his old one. Apparently, the fuckers who broke into his loft were fucking pros. He had been so pissed he thought Michael had come in and left it unlocked. Michael’s only saving grace was he was two hundred miles away with his fucking boyfriend. Brian had been so sure that his system was impenetrable that if he hadn’t seen the return ticket Michael used he would have flipped the fuck out on him.

All too soon the trial continued. Vic was the first witness called. Brian didn’t like what he saw when Vic came in, it was a bad day. Vic looked tired, most likely forcing himself by shear will to come to court. After Vic was sworn in, it was time to get to business.

“What’s your occupation, Mr. Grassi?” Brian’s lawyer, Greg, asked.

“Retired pastry chef.”

“You’re still a relatively young, why retired?”

“I got too sick to keep working.”

“How do you know the defendant?”

“He’s my nephew’s best friend.”

“How long have you known Mr. Kinney?”

“Since he was seventeen.”

“What was Brian like at seventeen?”

“Smart, dedicated, driven.”

“All good traits. Any not so good traits?”

“Same as any other seventeen-year-old. Thinking more with his lower half than his brain sometimes.”

“Mr. Kinney is accused of planning out Kip Thomas’ murder, carrying it out and leaving the body in his loft while he went on a trip. Do you think it’s possible that he is capable of this?”

“No.” The answer was fast and clear.

“Why not?”

“First, Brian isn’t a killer. Second, if he was he’s not stupid enough to leave the body in his loft while he goes off to Australia. Thirdly and most importantly, there was no reason for him to kill Kip Thomas.”

“Thank you, no further questions, your honor,” the lawyer said addressing the judge.

“Mr. Grassi, you’re a homosexual, right?”

“I don’t see what’s that got to do with anything but yes.”

“You said you met Mr. Kinney when he was seventeen, correct?”

“Yes.”

“Did you have a sexual relationship with him at the time?”

Brian sat there stunned. He couldn’t believe the fucking gall of the fucking prosecutor.

“That asshole!” Debbie yelled.

“Ma’am, I’m going to have to have you excused if you speak again,” the judge said. He looked at Vic sadly. “Answer the question.”

“Never,” Vic said. Brian could hear his teeth grinding together from where he sat.

“What the hell is he doing?” Brian whispered to Greg.

“Trying to discredit the witness. Vic’s a good one, he’s not going to be easily shook. That’s why the prosecutor is going for the jugular,” Greg whispered back.

“You told the court earlier you took early retirement because of illness. What illness would that be?”

Brian could feel Debbie steaming. He didn’t have to look at her to know she was going to go off…soon.

“Objection, relevance,” Greg said calmly.

“Sustained. Start asking relevant questions, counselor.”

The rest of the questions were rather tame. It made Brian worried about Michael and Lindsay, both who were ruled by their emotions.

Michael was next, and Brian held his breath.

“What’s your occupation, Mr. Novotny?”

“Assistant Manager at the Big-Q.”

“How long have you known, Brian Kinney?”

“Sixteen years, we met first day of freshman year.”

“How would you describe the defendant?”

“The best person I have ever known,” Michael said, Brian could see the hearts in the other man’s eyes. This was not good.

“Did you see Mr. Kinney December 24th, 2000?”

“Yes, we had breakfast together and we hung out at his loft until he left.”

Brian inwardly groaned. Stupid fucking Michael. They did have breakfast together but Michael didn’t come back to the loft. The stupid fucker just perjured himself. Brian saw Greg’s jaw clench. This wasn’t good, in fact this was as fucked up as it could get. The prosecutor was going to have him for dinner. Michael would be lucky to walk out without cuffs on.

“Do you know perjury is a felony, Mr. Novotny?”

Michael visibly gulped and whispered, “Yes.”

“I’ll ask you again. Did you see the defendant December 24th, 2000?”

Michael nodded. “Yes, that morning we had breakfast.”

“That’s the only time you saw him?”

“Yes.”

“No further questions.”

Brian saw the fury on his attorney’s face when he returned to the table.

“Your best friend just royally fucked us,” Greg muttered.

Brian just nodded. He knew now for a fact that the prosecutor was going to tear Michael a new one.

“Mr. Novotny, have you ever been in a sexual relationship with Mr. Kinney?”

“No, well, nothing more than kids fooling around.”

“If you’re not in love with him, why lie?” Straight for the throat.

“I-I panicked.”

“Understandable. Have you ever seen the defendant violent?”

“No, I’ve only seen him defend himself and others.”

“But he broke a man’s arm, did he not?”

“He was saving himself and others. The man was a knife-wielding lunatic.”

“Did you ever witness Brian Kinney be hit by his father?”

“What?”

“Did you ever witness your friend being hit by his father?”

Brian knew Michael wouldn’t dare try to lie again. “Yes.”

“What happened?”

“Brian was moving out of the house, getting ready to go to college. I was helping him pack. His dad came in, drunk and swearing. Told Brian he would never amount to anything and should have been medical waste.”

Brian heard several gasps from the jury. Looking over he saw the sad eyes of the little blonde, Juror number seven. He even spied a small tear falling down the perfect skin. It was irrational but it pissed him off. He didn’t want anyone feeling sorry for him. Fuck the twink. A part of his brain said that was a good thing, he needed the jury to sympathize with him. But a bigger part of him wanted to look strong, beautiful and untouchable to the hot, blonde twink.

“Did you ever meet Kip Thomas?”

“Once. I was at Brian’s loft when he showed up.”

“Is that normal, co-workers showing up at Mr. Kinney’s loft?”

“Well, Brian’s assistant has been known to show up to give him something or work on something with him there.”

Clearly, the prosecutor wasn’t expecting that. The rest of testimony was pretty mellow…right until the last question.

“One last question. Do you have a key to Mr. Kinney’s loft?”

“Of course.”

Motherfucker! Brian knew that fucker was up to something. He’s going to make it look like he was going to have Michael get rid of the body or someone else. All he did was prove that Brian had someone willing to lie and possibly get rid of a body.

Lindsay was next, heaven help him. She looked picture perfect in her blue and black dress, her hair perfectly put together.

“Ms. Peterson, what’s your occupation?”

“I’m an art teacher.”

“How long have you known Mr. Kinney?”

“Little over ten years. We met at a party our freshman year. He’s been my best friend ever since.”

“You trusted the defendant so much you asked him to father your child, correct?”

“Yes, he’s the only one I ever wanted to be the father. He loves our son, he’s a wonderful father.” That was kind of pushing it, Brian thought.

“Did you see the defendant December 24th, 2000?”

“Yes, he came by my house and played with Gus for an hour.”

“What time was this?”

“A little past noon.”

“Do you think Brian Kinney is capable of the charges?”

Lindsay dapped her eyes with a handkerchief. “Never. He would never do the things he’s accused of. He’s rough around the edges yes, but never angry or violent.”

“Thank you.” Turning to the judge. “No further questions.”

“No questions, your honor.”

Brian shared a look with his attorney. “What the hell was that about?” he mouthed.

“She’s too good, those crocodile tears will work on all those jurors, she’ll have them eating out of her hand. He’s not stupid,” Greg whispered.

When Mel took the stand he truthfully expected her to throw him under the bus.

“Ms. Marcus, what’s your occupation?”

“I’m an attorney.”

“How long have you known the defendant?”

“Seven years.”

“What’s your opinion of the defendant?”

“I think he’s the most arrogant, narcissistic, materialistic man I’ve ever met.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Brian needs to have all the attention on him. He thinks he’s god’s gift to the gay population of the world. He’s never seen an Italian suit he didn’t want.”

Brian bit his lip not to laugh, she had him there.

“Do you think he’s capable of this crime?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Brian Kinney is a lot of things and for those reasons he wouldn’t do this. He’s a smart man, as much as I hate to say it. If Brian did this, we wouldn’t be here. It’s obvious to me he’s being set up.”

After a few more questions it was the prosecutions turn. And what a turn it was.  

“Ms. Marcus, have you ever met Kip Thomas?”

“Yes.”

Brian wondered where he was going with this, they already said he couldn’t use the sexual harassment claim.

“What was your impression of Mr. Thomas?”

Melanie looked at the young man’s parents before she continued. “I think he was desperate to get ahead in life. And he didn’t really care how he got there.”

“Meaning?”

“Like when he sued his college professor for sexual harassment after a semester long affair and still failing the class.”

Even Brian could see the prosecutor’s face blanch. “The victim is not on trial here,” he stammered.

“Sorry, I was just giving you my impression. I looked into his past when he was still alive, maybe you should have now.”

“No further questions.”

Brian just stared slack jawed at Melanie. He didn’t think what she did was totally legal but she stood up looking like the cat that ate the canary. Damn her, she really was good at this shit.

Closing arguments followed. Brian started to hyperventilate a little. It seemed to be happening too fast. After all the crime scene specialists and none of them could place him there at the time. But that didn’t make him feel any better, his life was in the hands of twelve strangers.

The jury left for deliberation. This was the beginning of the end, he just knew it.

 

 

Day Four-Part Two by Neverbreeze
Author's Notes:

Warning-ish maybe triggering. 

After a quick introduction, they sat down at the large table. Justin’s stomach was in knots. His mind was racing with all the information that he had learned over the trial.

“We need to appoint a jury foreman,” Juror three, Lucas, said. Lucas was a thin, forty something year old, white male with a bit of a long face.

“Who wants to be foreman?” Jaya, Juror Eleven, asked. Jaya was a beautiful dark-skinned, middle-aged woman who was visibly pregnant.

“I volunteer,” Edger, Eight, said. Justin didn’t like the man, and by the look on the man’s face the sentiment was returned. The man looked like a bully and acted like he always got his way too.

“All for Edger, raise your hands,” Jaya said.

Surprisingly, only three raised their hands. One, three and twelve.

“I guess I could do it,” Melvin, Two, said.

Justin instantly liked Melvin, he reminded him of a big teddy bear. He had a sweet demeanor and likable personality. A dark-skinned man with a round belly and a ready smile. Justin put him at about forty. When he introduced himself, he had said he was a high school chemistry teacher.

“All for Melvin,” Jaya asked.

Eight hands went up, including Justin’s. Edger looked pissed off but it wasn’t that big of a deal. It was just the person who talked to the judge for them and the bailiffs.

Sitting around the large rectangle table, he was in between Melvin and Jaya.

“This guy’s guilty as fucking sin,” Edger said.

“Language,” Mrs. Dobbins, nine, hissed. Edger glared daggers at the old woman.

“Maybe we should do a secret ballot, just to see where we stand,” Jaya said.

“That’s a great idea,” Melvin said, smiling shyly at Jaya.

“Fine,” Edger said, begrudgingly.

After the slips of paper was distributed they wrote guilty or not guilty. Justin thought it was a bit premature but he decided to go with his gut. The prosecution’s biggest argument was that Brian Kinney killed the guy simply because he could. That made no sense at all.

Melvin grabbed all the slips. “Not guilty. Not guilty. Guilty. Guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty. Guilty. Not guilty. Guilty. Not guilty. Not guilty. That’s eight not guilty and four guilty. It looks like we have to review the evidence.”

They had barely started talking before the bailiff was back in telling them that it was time to stop for the night. They were again told not to speak about the case or anything about their time in court. It didn’t surprise him that he was lead out a different way and told that they would park in the court’s parking spots tomorrow. He found out it was because it was more secure and media couldn’t get to them. Leaving the parking garage, he had a lot on his mind.


Brian sat at Debbie’s kitchen table. He thought back to the trial, it felt so wrong. He begged his lawyer to let him testify but Greg had said that his attitude would work against him. Everyone else and their brother got to say their piece about him, why couldn’t he defend himself?

Twelve strangers were now in charge of his future. He hadn’t prayed since he was a little boy, praying that his daddy would stop hitting him. His prayer wasn’t answered then when he believed in god, it wouldn’t be answered now when he didn’t.

His first boss out of college, when he started with Ryder said he could sell water to a drowning man. Why wouldn’t Greg give him the chance to speak up for himself? What if they listened to that bitch of a mother of his? If it was up to her, he would be sentenced to death. No better feeling than knowing your own mother wants you dead.

“Brian, you really need to eat,” Deb told him.

“I think I’m just gonna go out for a while.”

The people around the table looked at him suspiciously. Well, fuck them. It wasn’t their lives on the line. He behaved during his part of the trial. It was up to the jury now. If he wanted to go out and fuck, that was his prerogative. Fuck them.

He didn’t go to any of his usual hangouts, everyone knew him there. In fact, everyone knew him everywhere, his face had been on all the newspapers.

Because of his ‘fame’ he decided to go to a sketchier part of the city. He just hoped he didn’t regret it.


Justin tossed and turned in bed. His mind wouldn’t settle. “I need to get out,” he muttered to himself.

It was just before midnight when he slipped out of his grandparents’ house. He didn’t know where he was going to go, he knew one thing for sure, it couldn’t be Liberty Avenue. He had heard too much about that place, it was Brian Kinney’s stomping ground. No way would he not hear anything about him there. Also, what if someone recognized him from the jury. It was an open courtroom. Anybody could have seen him.

It was after some thinking that he remembered Daphne telling him about a place that didn’t card. Her ex had gone there a few times. It was in the shadier part of Pittsburgh but maybe a drink would calm him. One drink wouldn’t be terrible.


Brian was working on his third whiskey when the door opened to the small bar. After a moment, a kid walked in. The kid was familiar. It took a moment for him to place the blond twink.

Fuck. He’s on my jury.

Brian stayed in the corner, hidden by the darkness. He couldn’t risk the kid seeing him. For one, it would look bad that he was out getting blitzed on the first night of deliberations. For another, if anyway knew they were in the same place at the same time it could cause a mistrial.

The place wasn’t too crowded, in fact it was almost empty, and Brian had already got what he came for. The bouncer was exactly his type, and had a mouth to die for. After to bouncer went back to work, Brian sat in the corner drinking. Once the kid came in, he decided to make sure no one noticed him. It had been a long time that Brian had just people watched without trying to figure out their motives.

Brian smiled to himself when he the bouncer took a shot at the twink. Even from where he was sitting he could see the bouncer get shot down. He saw a look cross the man’s face, someone didn’t like to be rejected. The man then ordered the twink a drink, Brian saw the kid take a sip then go to the restroom. For some strange reason, he decided to watch the bouncer, who was laughing with the bartender.

Something caught his attention, the bouncer’s hand hovered over the twink’s drink for a moment. Then he brought it back as the kid came back. Brian knew without a doubt, that fucker put something in that drink, and he had a good guess what. A dilemma then appeared to him. He could break all kinds of rules and get the kid away from the scumbag, or he could be a fucking coward and let the pieces lie where they fall.

Never one to be that much of a good citizen, he stayed put. If the guy tried to take the kid somewhere he would interfere, that was for sure. But he couldn’t risk his trial, not yet anyway. The GHB wouldn’t harm him, just what would come next if Brian wasn’t there. Brian would make sure nothing happened to him but he couldn’t risk showing his face to the kid unless he had to.

Things didn’t go as planned though, the kid slumped over and just as Brian was about to intercede, cops raided the place.

FUCK!

Because of his position in the corner, near the emergency exit, he just left. He knew that with the cops there the kid would be safe. But if his name and the kids name appeared anywhere together, he’d have a whole new trial. He just wanted it over and done with. The last view he had of the kid was a cop calling for paramedics as the kid slid down to the ground.


Justin’s head was buzzing, no, that wasn’t his head. Something around him was buzzing. Opening his eyes, he saw that he was in a curtained partition.

“Oh, lovely, you’re awake,” a female voice said.

He saw it was a woman in her sixties, taking his vitals.

“Am I in the hospital?”

“The ER, yes. The police will be in to talk to you shortly.”

“What happened?”

“The police will be in soon.”

A few minutes later two women in uniforms walked in. They were nice but he just wanted to go home.

“What happened?”

“Well, I would say you were in the wrong place at the wrong time but you were just in the wrong place. You’re very lucky that we were raiding that bar.”

“Why?”

“Why were we raiding or why were you lucky?”

“Both.”

“We were raiding because it’s a known drug front. You’re lucky because it looked like someone was planning on doing something to you that you would be against.”

“Why do you say that?”

The older of the two women looked at him sadly. “Because you passed out as soon as we walked in. We took the drink you had, we won’t have the forensics on it for a while but we’re sure you were drugged.”

Justin felt bile in his throat, the man who had ordered him the drink. He had thought he was nice, maybe a little forward. But he had no idea that someone could do that, that was only on television shows.

“I need to go home.”

“The doc said something about releasing you once you came to. We’ll give you a ride home. We should cite you for drinking underage but I’m sure this is a lesson you’ll learn from.”

He nodded his head. It was clear to him that he should have stayed home. He was about to tell them he needed to get to his grandmother’s car but didn’t think he should be driving anyway yet. He’d call Daphne in a few hours.

It was lucky that it wasn’t time to go to the courthouse yet. He wondered what would happened if he didn’t show. Probably a mistrial since the alternates were dismissed, and he would be arrested for something.

Since nothing happened to him, the police gave him the option to press charges. He asked what would happened to the guy, turned out not much. So instead of putting himself through anything, he just let it drop. The guy and bartender along with the owner were in big trouble from what he heard anyway.

It was just after four in the morning when he got back to his grandparents. He thought everyone would be asleep but was surprised to find his grandfather sitting at the kitchen table. Justin had just gone in to get a drink, his mouth felt gross.

“You’re home mighty late, or should I say early,” his grandfather said.

“Hey, gramps. I thought you would be asleep.”

“Who could sleep with your father calling all hours of the night.”

That shocked Justin, he thought his dad would be ecstatic to get rid of them. “What did he want?”

“To tell your mother that she wasn’t getting a damn penny from him. Classy.”

“Sorry, gramps.”

“Not your fault. Promise me, when you have a family, you’ll treat them well.”

“I promise,” he said. “I’ve got to go take a shower and catch a few hours of sleep.”

A strange look came over his grandfather’s face. “Don’t do this to yourself.”

“Do what?”

“Treat yourself like this. I’ve known many gay men and women in my long life. I knew two women who had been together for sixty-two years before dear Opal passed. Their whole life until near the end people thought they were lonely old spinsters who stayed together for company. They weren’t lonely, they had each other. They also took in Opal’s three grandnephews and raised them. The boys knew about their relationship, it never did matter.

“I’ve also met men, gay and straight that said sex was all that matters. I’ll tell you this, it doesn’t matter if the man is the biggest…manwhore there is, everyone man or woman wants to be loved. Some don’t handle it well, but some you just have to break through their walls. Don’t you go around building up walls. You look for love, it’s alright to live a little, you are young. But just don’t treat yourself like you aren’t worth everything you’ve always wanted.”

“Gramps,” Justin whined.

“No, you told me when you were four that you were going to marry a prince. I expect nothing less.”

“Just because you want some control of a nation.”

“I wouldn’t have an aversion to it.”

“I will not help you with world domination.”

“Fine. Fine. But you know I’m right. You deserve the world.”

“I’m young, gramps. I have so much I want to do in life before I settle down.”

His grandfather laughed loudly. “That’s what I said until I met your grandmother. Love knows not of time.”

 

Justin rolled his eyes and went upstairs. His grandfather was an odd duck. 

End Notes:

I'm not completely happy with this chapter, so sorry if it feels like a let down. 

Post Trial by Neverbreeze

 

 

 

They had been in deliberation for the three days when things went crazy. The bailiff came in and told them that the judge would like to see them. It was worrisome because they hadn’t said they were unable to come to an agreement.

“There has been a development during your sequestering. On behalf of the city of Pittsburgh, I thank you for your doing your civic duty. This case has been dismissed.”

They all stood there stunned, Justin looked over to the defendants table and saw Brian Kinney looking shell-shocked. He knew he couldn’t ask any questions about what had happened. They were led out of the courtroom, and it was over. Justin collected his things and left, still not sure what had just happened.

 


“You’re free to go,” his lawyer told him.

Brian still couldn’t believe it. Two days ago, Michael and David had been arguing at their house when David hit him. Michael went to leave, and David attacked him. Somewhere in the attack David admitted to killing Kip to set Brian up. Michael was able to escape and went right to the police and gave a statement. David was arrested for domestic abuse of Michael but also the police had to look into what he said. Brian’s attorney said not to get his hopes up, cops usually never listen during this part of a trial. They think they have their guy, and they don’t want complications. It wasn’t until they found out that there was a witness to David leaving the loft. Apparently, she had told police at the time of the murder, but they had their eyes on him. The case fell apart faster than anyone thought was possible. But it wasn’t until that morning when the prosecutor had contacted his lawyer and told they were dropping the charges. His lawyer said it was a one in a million case. Usually, it would take months for the police to prove or disprove if the other guy did it. He said he thought maybe there was some dirty cops, and they were trying to get it swept under the rug as fast as possible.

When he got home, he just looked at his Loft, no longer it was his sanctuary. In fact, his whole life had changed. He was broke now because of his lawyer’s fees. His name was garbage, no reputable Ad agency would have him. There was only one choice now…to move. Pittsburgh had betrayed him and that wasn’t something he could get over.

 


                

 

 

 

 

                          4 and a half years later

 

“Alright Sonny Boy, what do you want to do?”

“Disneyland,” his said with a huge smile.

“We are going tomorrow; I’ve got the tickets already. What do you want to do tonight?”

This was the first time that Lindsay and Melanie allowed him to have Gus for the summer. He was sure it was only because they were having marital problems. Gus was almost seven now and wanted to spend more time with Brian.

Since Brian moved away and started his new life, he could admit he hadn’t been there for his son. But even after he was cleared of the charges and David convicted it still wasn’t enough. He was able to get a great offer, but it was across the country in Los Angeles. Although he would miss his son, he thought it was better going somewhere with out a question mark over his head.

Now he was a full partner in one of the biggest ad agencies in the nation. He made more now than he ever even dreamed. Moving also opened up a whole new pool of fresh tricks. It was all getting a bit old though, he hated coming home to an empty home. He wondered if it was just because all of his friends were across the country.

“Can we go to the beach?”

“That’s a great idea. Go get dressed.”

Brian sent his sometimes boyfriend a text that he would be unavailable for the next two months. Rick was alright, a little too much like himself to be anything permanent. He hadn’t even told his friends about the man because he knew they would lose it because he had laughed at the idea of relationships. Rick was a few years younger than him and a very ambitious lawyer. He wasn’t really someone that Brian thought Gus should be around, mostly because Rick wasn’t a fan of children.

Once he had gotten himself ready, they headed to Santa Monica, he was sure Gus would like to walk the pier. The drive from Silver Lake where he lived to Santa Monica didn’t take too long but he was used to driving a bit to get anywhere good now. California was a big state, so you had to drive everywhere almost.

On the way Gus giggled about everything and was talking a mile a minute. He was telling Brian about all the cool things he wanted to do. Brian had saved his vacation just for this and was taking a full month off. Next month he would have to rely on childcare to help him, but this month was all about time with his son. His son would want for nothing on this trip, maybe then after it he wouldn’t feel like a total failure as a father.

The day was pretty much perfect until Gus wanted a lemonade. As Brian was paying for the drink, Gus wandered off.

“Gus,” he said, looking around him. He didn’t panic because his son wouldn’t have gone far. “Gus,” he said a little later.

Ten minutes later he was freaking out. “GUS!” he yelled. There were several people helping looking for him. How could he lose him? What if he’d been kidnapped?”

“Daddy!” Gus yelled.

Brian looked up and saw Gus running towards him, he was soaking wet. Being in the water had never even occurred to him. Kneeling down, Brian hugged his son hard.

“Where the hell were you?” he asked with a little heat in his voice.

“I saw a doggy and wanted to pet it.”

Great, his son was just asking to get kidnapped. “You shouldn’t have wandered off.”

“I’m sorry, Justin said he would help me find you when I didn’t know where I was.”

“Justin? Who the fuck is Justin?”

“That would be me,” a voice said.

Brian looked up and saw a blond man with a stroller and a dog. As Brian stared at him, he thought he was vaguely familiar but couldn’t put his finger on it. The younger man was wearing rainbow board shorts and white t-shirt with two stick figures made out of rainbow colors. The dog had a rainbow flag collar. The baby stroller had rainbow flag decals on it. The only one that seemed not to be covered in rainbow flags was the baby and it was wearing a sunflower sundress. This whole getup would have never gone over in Pittsburgh.

“Thank you. I just turned away for a moment.”

“I’m not looking forward to that stage. Right now, she’s running me around me and she can’t even crawl.”

“Again, thank you. I was seconds away from calling the police.”

“It’s alright, Brian.”

Brian stopped. “Did Gus tell you my name?”

“No, I remembered it.”

“Do we know each other?”

“Not really.” The man looked at Gus, looking to be choosing his words. “We was on a jury once.”

It clicked then to Brian; this was the twink on his jury. The same very one that he saw almost be hurt in a bar. He was much different from the schoolboy looking twink now. His blond hair was long to his shoulders and a tattoo peeking out from under his sleeve on his left arm.

“I remember now. What are you doing in California?”

“I live here now. You?”

“Same.”

“I was just about to get some lunch and get out of the sun for a while. Want to join us? Maybe by then your heart will have left your throat by the time we’re done. My sister got lost in a store once and my mom still talks about it.”

“Yeah, that might be best.” His heart was still beating fast. Just the thought of something happening to Gus sent his blood pressure through the roof.

They went to a popular burger joint at the pier. Once he sat down, he felt like he could breathe again. As they waited for their food, he decided to find out more about the blond.

“How old is your daughter?” he asked.

“Oh, she’s not mine,” the blond said with a laugh. “Her dad is my ex, he’s in Japan on business this week so he asked me to watch her. There isn’t many people he trust with her, so I agreed.”

“You’re taking care of your ex’s kid? I guess there isn’t any bad feelings between you.”

“No, Hank is a good guy, we were just not suited well together. I think we were just too much alike. I’m Hannah’s godfather so I get to watch her grow up. I love her and Hank but knew it wasn’t for me. After we broke up, he went on to sleep with his own ex. She got pregnant and here Hannah is.”

“Where’s her mother?”

“She didn’t want to be a day-to-day mom. She comes to visit when she’s in town, which isn’t much. Hank has full custody, but he wants her to know her mother.”

“How long have you lived her?”

“Three years.”

“Why did you move?”

The blond picked up the baby out of her stroller and put her in his lap. “I got expelled from art school because they found out I was putting up posters against the man running for mayor. When I started PIFA, I fell in love with a violist. I was stupid and moved out of my fully furnished, beautiful apartment I shared with my best friend. My grandparents and her parents made sure we had everything we needed. But then I moved into the shoebox Ethan called an apartment. I knew pretty much right away I messed up. But my pride wouldn’t let me admit everyone of my friends were right. I needed to make money, so I started to work at Babylon.”

“I’m guessing you weren’t a bartender.”

“Nope, too young. But I was plenty old enough to let gross old men paw at me. Let’s just say it wasn’t something I would like to remember. The police chief was a jerk and got what was coming to him.”

“I guess I missed that. I know he lost but that’s about it.”

“He got caught trying to cover up the attack on a hustler by his ex-partner. It was a big thing, if the boy hadn’t been smart, he wouldn’t have made it.”

“Wow, move out of the Pitts and it goes to hell.”

“Daddy, no bad words,” Gus said.

Brian had thought Gus was too engrossed in his coloring, but he guessed not. Their food arrived no long after. Brian watched Justin eat and try to keep his fries away from the baby. He felt her something from Tupperware he brought but she wanted the greasy fry.

“Can I have your number?” Brian surprised himself by asking before they departed. Justin smiled as he wrote his number Brian’s wrist.

“Got to get her home before she starts to get tired.”

 


Brian had officially ended things with Rick. They didn’t have a monogamous relationship. But when he found out that Brian was sleeping with someone else, he threw a fit. Brian liked Justin so he wasn’t about to stop seeing him.

Justin was insane, beautifully insane. He would paint for hours or stretch and forget that other people existed. He was also selfless while being spoiled. Justin was just an interesting mix of contrasting abilities.

There was also Hank, Justin’s ex. When Brian met him, he wanted to dislike him, but he was a good guy. He didn’t understand what Justin saw him though. Hank was even older than Brian and not very fit. That was probably his ego talking though.

Jusitn had come to the airport with Brian and Gus when Brian took his son home. It was sweet and Gus said that he would miss him. A few days after Gus returned home Justin showed Brian the picture he got in the mail. Gus had taken up drawing and now sends Justin what he thinks is his best.

It had been almost a full year since he had met Justin again. He was going to propose to him in a few hours. Justin would be so surprised. Brian was taking Justin to the pier where they had officially met.

 


Justin smiled when Brian picked him up. “So where are we going?” Justin asked.

“You’ll see.”

“Please tell me we’re not going back to Rodeo Drive. I don’t have it in me to watch you try on clothes for hours again. You didn’t even let me bring my sketch pad.”

“Because the time before you wrote ‘help me I’ve been kidnapped by a clothes horse’ that means no. You had people laughing.”

Justin laughed. Brian had gotten a bit red in the face with that. He hadn’t meant to embarrass him.

“Are we going to Santa Monica?” Justin asked.

“I think that would have been obvious.”

“Because it’s been a year since our first date?”

“That wasn’t a date, I don’t do dates, I’ve told you.”

“Right, right. I guess I imagined all those times you took me out to dinner.”

“That was dinner, not a date.”

He just rolled his eyes; Brian was being so annoying. They had been together a year. Well, for about eleven months Justin knew he was Brian’s fallback. Brian and Rick had been together up until last month. Rick didn’t like that Brian fucked him. He wanted to be Brian’s only repeat. Rick had accused Justin of being a gold digger. It wasn’t true, Justin worked his ass off to live in an apartment with two other people. He didn’t let Brian pay for anything that he considered taking care of him.

Once they were walking on the pier a familiar boy came into view. “Gus?” Justin asked.

“Yep, he wanted to be here.” Gus was standing back at a distance with two women who Justin guessed was his mothers.

“Here for what?” Justin asked, turning back to Brian only to find him on one knee, holding a beautiful wedding band. “What are you doing?” His eyes felt like they were bulging out of his head.

“Will you marry me?”

“What?”

“Will you marry me?”

“What?” Something flashed in Brian’s eyes and Justin could tell it was unease. He thought Justin was trying to turn him down.

“Of course, I’ll marry you. I just thought I died for a moment.”

Brian smiled and got off of his knee, sliding the ring onto Justin’s finger. He heard Gus’s squeal and run for them, the two women following behind. He remembered the blonde woman being a character witness. The other woman wasn’t smiling but she wasn’t frowning either, she just looked like she couldn’t be bothered.

“It’s great to finally meet you, Justin,” Lindsay said.

“I feel like I already know you, with as much as we’ve talked on the phone.” She had called lots because Gus wanted to tell him about some project he was doing.

“Did you show him the house?” Lindsay asked.

“What house?” he asked.

“That’s for that. I know you wanted to move back east to be closer to your family. I bought a house there. I thought we spend six months here and six there, I can do most of my work over the phone or internet. I’ll have to commute some but shouldn’t be too much.”

“I can’t believe this is actually happening.”

“We’ll believe it, we have the rest of our lives for you to get tired of me,” Brian said with a smile. He couldn’t imagine a life where he would ever tire or him.

 

End Notes:

I totally came to a realization that I didn't know what to do in my stories to make them longer. I had to decide what to people hate most, a rushed story or an unfinished one. I think it's unfinished, so I finished it. I hope it wasn't too bad. Thank you all. I am working on Moonlight Camp now. 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1015