Fractalized by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Justin's interest in a new art form leads to some problems with his family.

Story #33 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 36733 Read: 36726 Published: Jun 01, 2017 Updated: Jun 01, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

 

 

Fractalized

Chapter 1





“Justin…Justin…Justin!” Brian repeated himself his voice growing louder with each word.

“Huh?”

“I’ve fucking been trying to get your attention for five minutes,” Brian griped.

“I was concentrating.”

“No shit!”

“What is it?” Justin asked, his eyes returning to the computer screen where they had been glued all day, and every other day for weeks.

“I’m going to the stream. Not that you give a shit,” Brian mumbled as he headed out the sun porch door.

Justin was already back to his fractal work on the computer.

Brian carried his picnic blanket down the path to the stream. He muttered to himself the whole way there. “Fucking computer, fucking damn weekend, fucking life!”

At the edge of the stream Brian spread his blanket out on the grass. He sat down on it and stared at the stream. It was a beautiful warm day in September. It was the weekend and he should be enjoying himself. He and Justin should be here … together … fucking and sucking. Shit! He felt so out of sorts, cranky, like a piece of shit. He flopped down on the blanket, stretching out and letting the warm sun pour down on him. He let out a long sigh.



*****



“Daddy, me and Patrick want to go to the stream,” Bree said coming into the sun porch from Patrick’s side of the house. Patrick stood silently and dutifully behind the little blonde.

Justin kept working on his computer, oblivious to his daughter and Patrick.

“Daddy! Daddy!” Bree said impatiently, her voice rising with each repetition.

“What?” Justin said glancing up.

“Me and Patrick want to go to the stream,” Bree repeated.

“Okay,” Justin said absently, his eyes returning to the screen of his laptop.

Bree frowned and stared at her father.

“Come on, Bree,” Patrick whispered. “He said we could go.”

Bree followed Patrick out the door of the sun porch. Beau immediately was at their side watching them and trailing them along the path to the stream.

“Something’s wrong with my daddy,” Bree said to Patrick as they walked along. She looked worried.

“Why?”

“He didn’t correct me when I said, ‘Me and Patrick’ and then he didn’t tell us to stay out of the stream. He didn’t even tell Beau to go with us.”

“He didn’t need to,” Patrick said logically looking at the big dog who bounded along just ahead of them on the path. “Beau always goes with us.”

“But Daddy always tells us…”

“It’s okay, Bree. We’ll be fine.”

Bree frowned and continued to walk towards the stream.



*****



Brian stirred fitfully on the blanket. He made little noises and his hands clenched and unclenched. His eyelids fluttered. He moaned.

And then his eyes flew open to see a … a … frog with an alligator head sitting on his chest. Brian yelped and batted the thing away. He ran along the path back towards the cottage with the hideous creature following him. It snapped at his heels with those ominous jaws.

Brian raced into the sun porch calling for Justin. No one answered. He ran to Bree’s room to make sure she was all right. There was no one there. Brian felt his heart pound in his chest. Fear gripped his insides. Where were they? They must be over at John’s. He ran to the other side of the conjoined cottages, yelling for John, Bobby, Patrick, anyone. He got no reply, and the ugly alligator-frog continued to chase him biting at his legs.



*****



Bree, Patrick and Beau came into the clearing at the stream. Bree stopped in her tracks.

“Dada,” she whispered.

“It looks like he’s asleep,” Patrick said quietly.

“Why is he moving around like that?” Bree asked, as she studied her father’s movements.

“Maybe he’s dreaming.”

“Dreaming’s apposed to be fun,” Bree declared. “He doesn’t look like he’s having fun.”

“Maybe it’s a nightmare.”

Bree frowned. “I don’t like nightmares.”

“Me neither.”

“What should we do?” Bree asked looking to Patrick for guidance. She had a worried look on her little face.

Patrick frowned. “Maybe you should talk to him.”

“’Kay,” she replied slowly. She walked towards her sleeping father. “Dada,” she said gently.

Brian thrashed around, but didn’t respond to her call.

“Dada,” she repeated.

“No,” Brian groaned.

“Dada?”

“No, no, get away from me.”

“Go get my daddy,” Bree said to Patrick. Patrick could see the fear on her face. “I’ll stay with my Dada.”

“Okay,” Patrick said quickly and took off down the path.

Bree stood near the blanket that her father was lying on. She felt sick and scared. She’d never seen her dada like this before. “Dada,” she whispered, “please wake up. Please wake up.” But he didn’t.



*****



Brian ran as fast as his legs could carry him down the lane to Emmett’s house. That had to be where everybody was. They wouldn’t have all left without telling him. Would they? The alligator-frog nipped at his heels the whole way. Emmett’s cottage came into view.

Brian raced through the picket fence and up to the front door. He grabbed the door handle and tried to open the door. It was locked.

“Emmett, Drew! Where’s Justin? Where’s Bree? Where is everybody?” he called pounding on the door.

No one answered.

“Justin,” Brian moaned. “Justin.”

“I’m here, Brian. Right here beside you. I’ve got you. Wake up, Brian. It’s all right.”

Brian gasped and opened his eyes. “Justin?”

“Yeah, it’s me. I’m right here.”

“Wha…What happened?”

“You were having a nightmare.”

Brian looked around. “But it’s broad daylight.”

Justin chuckled. “Right. You’re down by the stream. You must have taken a nap and fell deep asleep. You haven’t been sleeping so well lately.”

Brian frowned. “You noticed.” There was a touch of sarcasm in his voice.

“I did notice, but you haven’t been in much of a mood to talk about things lately,” Justin accused mildly.

“And if I had been, could you have spared fifteen seconds from your fucking computer?” Brian sat up, pulling out of Justin’s embrace.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Justin asked.

“Figure it out for yourself, Mr. 1500 on his SAT’s,” Brian said harshly. He stood up and practically yanked the blanket out from under Justin. He started folding it up. Justin sighed and tried to grab an end of the blanket to help him. “I can do it,” Brian stated pulling it away from Justin’s hand.

“Brian…”

“Go back to your computer.”

“I think we need to talk about this.”

“What for? It won’t change anything.”

“Brian…”

“I’m fine.”

“You’re not fine, and you scared Bree. The kids found you thrashing around on the ground, and Patrick came to get me.”

“I should have known you wouldn’t come out here of your own volition … to be with me,” Brian said sarcastically.

“That’s not fair. I’ve been busy. You know I always want you.”

“You have a funny way of showing it,” Brian replied abruptly. He finished folding the blanket and turned towards the path. “I better go talk to Bree.”

“Yeah, do that. Then you can avoid talking to me.” Justin watched Brian disappear down the path. He heaved a heavy sigh and followed his husband.



*****



“Dada, what’s wrong with Daddy?” Brian and Bree had finished dinner, just the two of them. Briana had tried to entice her daddy into joining them but then had given up. Brian made up a plate for his artist and placed it within easy reach of the younger man.

“What do you mean, Squirt?” Brian was rinsing off the plates and loading the dishwasher. Bree was helping.

“Daddy’s been ignoring us,” Bree observed.

“He’s been busy with an idea for a new show,” Brian said reasonably, but he felt just as ignored if not more than Bree did. Justin was spending most of his time on the computer and in meetings in Pittsburgh. Between Sidney commandeering his time in preparation of the “Seasons” show and this new project, Justin rarely came to bed. And even when he did, he would fall into an exhausted sleep before his head hit the pillow. Brian never before had the need to be that well acquainted with his own right hand. Lately, it had been getting quite a workout.

“But this is different, Dada,” Bree said with the perception of a person six times her age.

“Yeah, it is, Squirt,” Brian said with a sigh as he cut up some fruit for their dessert.



*****



It was early September of 2017; the new school session had begun. The trials and tribulations of the summer were long gone and life for the family was back to normal. Or so Brian thought.

Gus was getting over Cole. He and Raymond had a great two weeks together at the cottage. They hadn’t gotten closer than an occasional kiss and a cuddle but they weren’t in any rush. The items that were stolen from the loft were returned to their rightful owners. The portrait of Bree at Coney Island was once again secure in its place of honor in the alcove of the loft. And true to his word, Brian had the loft apartments painted and the security system updated with the latest technology.

Brian and Bree were up in the attic office reviewing her vocabulary list when the phone rang.

“Kinney.”

“Hi, Brian, it’s Lindsay.”

“Hey, Lindz, how’s my favorite blond?” Brian said as he winked at Bree. Bree waved a hello at the phone.

“I think I’m at least number three on the list.”

“Possibly. Bree is waving hi.”

“Wave hi, back.”

“To what do I owe the pleasure of your call?” Brian asked as he waved and blew a kiss at his daughter. “And please don’t tell me that our son has taken up with another mobster.”

“Oh Brian, stop exaggerating. He’s fine but he is why I’m calling.”

“Go ahead,” Brian murmured as he pointed to another word on Bree’s list for her to copy.

“Gus is going to be seventeen soon and he’s taking driver’s ed this semester.”

“Since when did I become old enough to have a teenager who drives,” Brian moaned with a dramatic sigh.

Lindsay giggled. “Brian, as I recall this is not your first experience with a seventeen year old driver.”

“Thank you for reminding me,” Brian snarked. “I suppose you and your husband want me to buy the lad a BMW or a Lexus?”

“Nothing of the sort. He can borrow one of our cars while he gains driving experience and saves up the money for a car of his own. There’s no free ride around here, Brian. You know that.”

“I know, Lindz, but sometimes I still don’t know what you expect from me.”

“Just your love and support,” Lindsay reassured her best friend.

“Always. So are we doing anything special for him this year?”

“Not really. He did mention something about a nice family dinner.”

“The whole family?”

“Most of it, at Pappaganos.”

“Let me know when and we’ll be there. Is there anything else?”

“I was wondering if you know what Justin has been working on. I’ve heard from some of my contacts at PIFA that he’s been interviewing computer graphic artists and filmmakers. I’m curious. It doesn’t sound like anything he’s done before.”

“No, it isn’t, but I’m not at liberty to talk about it. I’m sure if you can get his nose away from his computer long enough to have a decent conversation, he’ll tell you all about it.”

“Brian, you almost sound jealous. Justin loves you more than his paints, you know that.”

“Hmm. Right now, I’m not so sure.”

“Feeling neglected are we.”

“Yes, we are.”

“Brian, since when have you been in touch with your feminine side?”

“Since the day I learned how to deal with yucky diapers, formula and pigtails.” Lindsay laughed. “You mock me?”

“Never. But I do find it somewhat amusing that the great Brian Kinney can whine with the best of us.”

“I’ve been badly influenced.” There was an unsettling pause in the conversation so Brian cleared his throat. “I have to put the princess to bed.”

“Okay. You doing anything special tomorrow?”

“Not really, just planning to enjoy the rest of the warm weather. Why? You guys want to come up for a visit? John was going to take Bree and Patrick riding. JR might want to go.”

“I’d like that. I’m not sure Mel will come. She’s been working on some preliminaries for Raphael and Hector’s petition.”

“What petition?”

“They’re seriously thinking they’d like to officially adopt Curtis. Melanie is looking into the case. She thinks they would have a good chance if they can present their case to the judge who warded Curtis to the center. Judge Schultz is a gay rights supporter.”

“Then I excuse Mel from the party,” Brian said regally.

“She’ll be so happy to hear it,” Lindsay snarked with a chuckle.

“This is me hanging up now. I’ll see you tomorrow but not before ten.”

“Ten it is. I love you, Brian.”

“Love you too. Night.”

“Good night, Bri.”

Brian hung up then put his daughter to bed.



*****



“Hey.”

“Hey. I know you, don’t I? Your face looks familiar.”

“Just my face?”

“No, the ass looks familiar too.”

“I’m sorry, Bri.”

“I know, Sunshine, but it’s been a while. I’ve had to take matters into my own hands, so to speak.”

“I can give you a hand, that is, if your own wouldn’t mind.”

“Do you remember how?”

“I think I have a vague recollection. But they do say practice makes perfect.”

“Then by all means, practise away.” Brian lay sprawled on their bed as Justin practised on him for most of the night.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 2





“Dada,” Bree said as she munched on her toast at breakfast.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Why doesn’t Daddy want to eat with us anymore?” She had noted that her daddy was once again missing from the family equation.

“He did eat with us.”

“But only for a minute.”

Brian looked at his daughter. She was so fucking observant, and she was growing up so fast. “I explained to you that he is working on a new project. He has a lot of work to do.”

“I don’t like this new project.”

“Me either, Squirt, but he has to do what’s right for him.”

Bree wrinkled her little brow trying to decide what that meant. “I want my old Daddy back,” she declared.

“I wouldn’t mind him coming back real soon either. Go get your backpack for school, Bree. We have to leave in a couple of minutes.”

“’Kay, Dada.”



*****



“Shit!” Justin griped as he looked over at the phone which had just started ringing. He was in the middle of another fractal and didn’t want to be interrupted. He knew the house was empty. The kids were in school and Brian had gone into Pittsburgh. He decided to let the answering machine pick it up. He waited and heard his mother’s voice come on the line. He decided he better answer. He hadn’t talked to her in ages. He reached for the portable phone that was sitting on the table next to the chaise. “Hi, Mom,” he said into the receiver.

“Hi, honey. I was just composing my message to leave for you.”

“I was working.”

“You seem to be very busy lately.”

“I am.”

“Then I won’t keep you. I just wanted to fill you in on a couple of things.”

“Shoot.”

Jennifer chuckled. “No beating around the bush these days. First, Seth and I will be at your opening.”

“Good.”

“And second, I’d like to have lunch with you one of these days.”

“Lunch? I’m really busy.”

“I understand that, but I thought you might spare a couple of hours for your only mother.”

“Great, a guilt trip.”

“Just a little one,” Jennifer admitted.

Justin had to laugh at that. “Okay,” he said. “How about tomorrow?”

“That works for me.”

“I’m going to the gallery to talk to Sidney and Lindsay about the last minute details for the opening. Meet you at one at the little café down the street from the gallery. You know the one. We’ve been there before.”

“Sure.”

“Mom, there’s nothing wrong is there?”

“No sweetheart, just some things I want to talk to you about … in person.”

“Okay,” Justin agreed. “See you tomorrow.”

“Bye, Justin. I’m looking forward to it.”

Justin cut the connection and set the phone down. His nose was immediately glued to his computer screen.



*****



Brian shuffled papers on his desk at Kinnetik. He didn’t really have anything he needed to do there. The company was under the conscientious and capable eye of Cynthia. He had just had to get out of the cottage for the day. Justin was trying to be more attentive to his husband, but Brian knew that Justin’s mind was really on this new art project he was working on. Even when they were making love or fucking their brains out, Brian could feel that he didn’t have Justin’s one hundred percent attention. It was driving him fucking crazy.

“Want to sit in on the Eyeconics presentation?” Cynthia asked from the doorway.

“Do you need me?”

“However I answer that is going to piss you off,” Cynthia chuckled.

Brian glared at her, but there wasn’t any real malice in it. “I … I just needed to take a break from home,” he said lamely.

“I understand,” Cynthia replied, although she wasn’t really sure what was going on between Brian and Justin. Something was upsetting her boss, of that she was sure.

“I think I’ll go for a walk while you do your presentation. I know you don’t need any help with it.”

Cynthia smiled at him. “Why don’t you take a walk over to what used to be Wertshafter’s, and see what Ted’s doing with his new business?” she suggested.

“Is that why I haven’t had Theodore to yell at and boss around?”

“He’s not here.”

“I got that,” Brian said his tongue in cheek. “Maybe I’ll do that.”

“Good idea,” Cynthia said, as she left the office and went to make sure that everything was ready for the Eyeconics people.



*****



Brian strolled along the street toward the old Wertshafter’s offices. He was happy for Ted, well, maybe not happy. Ambivalent might be a better word. He wanted Ted to be successful, but he had a nagging fear that if that happened, Ted might leave Kinnetik. Over the years, Brian realized, he had come to depend on Ted for so many things. The thought of trying to replace Ted Schmidt at Kinnetik was daunting and made him shudder.

When Brian arrived at the old Wertshafter’s offices, he looked at the new sign: Schmidt’s Personal Accountants. He had to smile. Ted would be so happy to finally have his name on the place. It was the final “Fuck you!” to his old boss.

“Theodore,” Brian said as he entered the main foyer and saw Ted talking to a rather handsome young man behind the reception desk.

“Bri, what are you doing here?” Ted asked raising his head at the sound of his name.

“Came to check out your new digs.”

“I’ll be happy to give you the fifty cent tour,” Ted said with a big smile.

“I can hardly wait.” Brian was assessing the young man at the desk. His gaydar was pinging like mad. “And who do we have here?”

“This is my new receptionist, Todd. Todd, this is Brian Kinney, my oldest and dearest friend.”

“Hi,” Todd said with a big smile.

“Watch the old cracks, Schmidt!” Brian said with his patented glare.

“Sure, Bri, sorry, Bri,” Ted muttered.

“Why does that name Todd sound so familiar?” Brian mused.

“I have no idea,” Ted said quickly. “Todd, if Mr. Kinney ever comes to this office, you are to let me know immediately.”

Brian couldn’t help but smirk as Todd quickly said, “Certainly, Mr. Schmidt.”

“Ready for your tour, Brian?” Ted asked.

Brian nodded and followed Ted out of the reception area. He noted the wood paneling and wood moldings and wood doors. “Do you think there’s enough fucking wood around this fucking place?” Brian asked caustically.

“Probably not for you,” Ted couldn’t help replying.

Brian snorted and then chuckled. “Good one, Schmidt.”

Ted dipped his head in recognition of Brian’s approval. “This is my office,” Ted said leading Brian into a large office space, complete with wooden filing cabinets and a huge wood desk and more wood paneling.

“More fucking wood,” Brian griped.

“I know it may not be your preference, but people looking for accountants see wood as traditional and conservative. That’s what they want in an accountant.”

“If you say so, Theodore. I’m sure you know much more about that than I do.”

“This was my old cubicle when I worked for Wertshafter,” Ted said, moving out of the main office to show Brian one of the small offices that would be used for his employees.

“Are you keeping any of the old staff?” Brian asked.

“I’ve interviewed them all. There’s only a couple remaining from when I worked here. I’m keeping one person. I don’t think the others measure up.”

“I’m sure they don’t measure up, or young Wertshafter wouldn’t have had to sell the business.”

“Exactly.”

“So, I hope you make a success of this new venture, Theodore. But not too big a success. I … I still need you at Kinnetik,” Brian admitted.

Ted smiled. “I plan to have a select clientele, Bri. Not too many.”

Brian smiled slightly. “I like the sound of that. And by the way, Theodore, get the fucking wood paneling cleaned. Brighten up this dismal hole.”

“Sure, Bri, I’ll do just that.”

On that cheery note Brian Kinney left the building.



*****



“Dr. Angles, Mr. Sanchez, what a nice surprise. Please come into my office,” Melanie said cordially.

“Please, it’s Raphael and Hector, and we apologize for coming in without an appointment but we were at the vet clinic and it just hit us. Why are we waiting?” Raphael started to babble. Hector was smiling meekly.

“Waiting for what?” Melanie asked as she showed the partners into her comfortable office and offered them a beverage.

“Ever since Curtis came into our lives, he’s made us into a real family. I mean, Hector and I were a family before, but now we’re more of a family and, I, oh crap...”

“What my tongue-tied, sweet man of a partner is trying to say and not very eloquently,” Hector teased as he reached for Raph’s hand, “is we’d like to officially adopt Curtis as soon as possible. We don’t want to wait any longer. We love him so much. He’s enhanced our lives so much.”

“Ms. Marcus, we know how much you helped Curtis during his troubles, and you said you would look into the logistics of us applying to adopt him. Can we do it … soon?” Raph asked hopefully.

“Of course, I’ll see what I can do to expedite things,” Melanie said cheerfully, reassuring the two men. “Now, I have some preliminary questions to ask and then I’ll give you a list of what I’ll need from you. I have to warn you, in light of people like the Hardigans and of what they inflicted on those children, your petition for adoption may hit some road blocks. However, Judge Schultz was instrumental in awarding Curtis to Hunter, and the clinic and is one of our staunchest supporters. I’m hoping she’ll hear the case and we shouldn’t have any trouble.”

Hector and Raph each took a deep breath to steady themselves for the task at hand.



*****



“Mr. Taylor? Mr. Kinney?” a disembodied voice echoed in the cottage. The phone had rung until the answering machine picked up. Justin, as he had been for several weeks now, was at his computer creating fractals.

“Mr. Taylor, if we can’t reach any adult on your contact list we must contact the local police to....”

“Hello! Hello!” Justin cried as he picked up the phone.

“Mr. Taylor? This is Melissa at the school. We’ve been holding Briana and Patrick in the office for an hour. Is there a problem?”

“Oh shh, um, crap. I’m so sorry. I’ll be there in twenty minutes.”

“Fine, Mr. Taylor, but in the future, please call the office to let us know if you’re going to be late. The children were frightened.”

“I, I’ll be right there.” Justin hung up the phone, grabbed for his keys then went as fast as he could for his car and to the school.

“Daddy!” Bree screeched when she saw her father entering the office.

“Baby girl!” Justin cried as he hugged the petite blonde.

“Hi, Uncle Justin,” Patrick said as Justin drew the red headed boy to him.

“I’m so sorry, I was w...”

“Working,” Bree and Patrick said in unison. Justin blushed.

“Let’s go. Thank you, Melissa. I promise this won’t happen again.”

Justin herded the children out into the Cherokee. When they were safely buckled in, he made a suggestion. “I’m really sorry that I worried you both, and you were so good that I think you guys deserve a reward. Let’s go get ice cream.”

“Yay!” the kids shouted and all was forgiven, for now.

Later that night, when the children were in bed, and the guys were relaxing in the sun porch, Justin made a confession.

“Guys, something happened today,” Justin began, looking very contrite. He had everyone’s attention. “I was so caught up in my work this afternoon that I forgot to pick up the kids from school. They called and I went right over.”

“That’s not so bad,” John said.

“I’ve been late a few minutes myself,” Bobby volunteered.

“How long?” Brian asked with a glare.

“What?” Justin asked blinking at Brian.

“How long were you late?”

“About an hour,” Justin confessed, blushing red then looking down at the floor.

Brian resisted growling and roaring with anger, instead he went for a run with Beau.

“Come on, dog,” Brian said in a low voice. He and Beau went out through the garden toward the lane.

“Shit, I’m in the doghouse,” Justin mumbled.

“Jus, it’s really not that bad,” Bobby reiterated. “But in the future, let one of us know … or Rachel. You know she’d get the kids for us.”

“I know. I’m sorry. It’s just this idea I have for my new project, it’s so different from what I’ve done before. I just don’t want to stop working. But that reminds me; I’ll call Rachel and ask if she’ll get the kids tomorrow. My mom called, we have a date tomorrow and Sidney wants me.”

“Justin, why don’t you draw a bath,” John suggested.

“A bath? I need a bath?” Justin subtly lifted his arm to catch a whiff of his armpit. John and Bobby chuckled.

“No, you dork! A nice relaxing bath for Rage, who’s currently doing a circuit up and down the lane with a big dog. You know, candles, wine, scented bath oil. A. BATH!” John said pointedly.

“Oooh, a bath.”

“And he sees the light,” Bobby said with a giggle. “I’ll call my sister. You go prepare the cure for the savage beast.”

“I’ll go out and wait for him, just in case he’s still a little cranky.” John got up and went out to wait for his pissed off brother. He didn’t have long to wait.

“He send you out here?” Brian asked. He was panting hard, bent over with his hands on the front of his thighs.

“Nope. My idea. He’s inside preparing you a bath.”

“I prefer showers,” Brian growled.

“Maybe, but tonight you’re having a bath,” John growled back.

All the growling made Beau nervous and he did some growling and barking of his own.

“Okay, boy, I get the hint,” Brian said and John laughed. “Don’t laugh, I was talking to you,” Brian snarked then sprinted to the door.

John stood frozen to the spot then laughed out loud. “Asshole!” John shouted after Brian and Beau barked. “You tell him, Beau.” John scratched the big dog’s ears then went inside.



*****



“Is your homework finished?” Raph asked as he stood at Curtis’ bedroom door.

“Just about,” Curtis replied. “I’ve got one more algebra question.”

“Is it giving you trouble?”

“Kinda,” Curtis admitted.

Raph walked inside the room and looked over Curtis’ shoulder as he sat at his desk. “Factors,” he said with a smile.

“Factors?” Curtis repeated. He looked at the equation and then it struck him. With three quick lines he had the problem solved. “Thanks.”

“You would have gotten it soon enough.”

“You saved me a chunk of time.” Curtis smiled up at Raph.

“I’m glad, because Hector and I would like to talk to you.”

“About what?” Curtis asked, the familiar knot of fear once again gripping his stomach.

“It’s nothing bad,” Raph said. “Come into the living room and we’ll explain.”

“Okay,” Curtis said uncertainly. He pushed his chair back from his desk and stood up. He followed Raph out to the living room where Hector was waiting for them.

When they were all seated, Raph began, “You know we’re starting proceedings to adopt you?”

Curtis nodded, the knot of fear growing even larger. “You … you haven’t changed your minds, have you?”

“God no!” Hector reacted. “We went to talk to Melanie Marcus today … to get things started.”

“Oh!” Curtis said in surprise. “So it’s really going to happen?”

“We certainly hope so,” Raph assured him. “Melanie seems to think it looks good, especially if we have Judge Schultz presiding.”

“She was nice,” Curtis agreed.

“We just wanted to warn you that if things proceed as we hope, you may have to go to court soon,” Raph explained.

“Are you up to that?” Hector asked.

“I’ve been in court a lot,” Curtis said bitterly. “I can do it.”

“However,” Raph interjected. “This time they will be asking you about how you feel living with two gay men. Will you be able to answer that appropriately?”

“What do you mean … appropriately?”

“I mean that you had some strong reservations when you came to live with us. Are you okay with us now? Will you be able to tell the court how you feel?”

“Um … sure … I love y…it here,” Curtis said hoping they didn’t notice the change in direction that his sentence had taken.

Raph smiled gently. “Then I guess we’re good to go. Very soon you’ll be our official son.”

Curtis grinned from ear to ear. Then the smile faded.

“What’s wrong, Curtis?” Hector asked, worry clear in his voice.

Curtis shook his head. “It’s about my name,” he said in a whisper.

“Your name?”

“What will my last name be?” Curtis asked afraid to look at the two men.

“Well, I hadn’t thought about that,” Raph replied. “I guess you could take Angles or Sanchez or we could hyphenate them. What would you like?”

Curtis drew in a deep breath and shoved his fear down into the pit of his stomach. “I’d like my name to stay Samuels, if you wouldn’t mind.” He ventured a quick look at the two men and saw the unhappiness and hurt written on their faces.

“If that’s what you want…” Raph said slowly.

“It’s not ‘cause I don’t want your names,” Curtis blurted out. “I want to be your son, but I don’t want to forget my grandfather and my mother. My name is all I have left from them.”

Raph and Hector looked at each other. “I think that would be fine for you to keep the Samuels name,” Hector said. A tear escaped the corner of his eye.

“You mean it?” Curtis asked looking up, his face full of hope. “You’re not mad?”

“We’re not mad,” Raph said gently. “Come here, my son.” He pulled Curtis into a warm hug which soon became a group hug.

“I love you,” Curtis whispered into Raph’s chest. He felt both men rub his back in support. He couldn’t remember when he’d ever felt better in his whole life.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 3





“Are you taking us to school, Dada?” Bree asked as she ate the last of her oatmeal.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian replied.

“Is Uncle Justin picking us up after school?” Patrick asked as he finished his cereal. He had a worried look on his face as he remembered what had happened the previous day. He didn’t like being stuck in the school for all that time before Uncle Justin finally came to get them.

“No, Little Red, your Aunt Rachel will get you after school.”

“I’m sorry, guys,” Justin said to the children once again. He wasn’t sure how he could ever make it up to them for forgetting them yesterday.

“Where are you and Dada going?” Bree asked.

“We’re dropping you two off at school,” Justin explained, “and then we’re going into Pittsburgh for the day.”

“See Gus?” Bree asked with a big smile.

“I plan on doing just that,” Brian told her.

“Tell him to come see me. I miss him.”

“Will do,” Brian chuckled. He wondered if Gus would be in any frame of mind to visit the cottage on Princess Bree’s summons.

“Grab your bags for school and let’s get going,” Justin told the children.

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said cheerfully as she ran to her room to get her book bag, and Patrick took off to the sun porch to retrieve his.

“Do you think they’ll ever forgive me?”

“They probably already have,” Brian told him.

“Patrick hasn’t, if that look on his face means anything.”

“Are you ready to go?” Brian asked. He didn’t want to rehash what had happened the day before. They had dealt with that last night … in a manner of speaking.

Justin nodded and headed for the sun porch.

“Where are you going?” Brian asked.

“I’m going to grab my computer.”

Brian groaned. “Can’t you stay away from that fucking thing for one day?”

“I’ll have time to work on my project this afternoon after I have lunch with my mother,” Justin said patiently.

“Don’t forget to meet her,” Brian said finding it hard to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.

“Brian…”

“Just … get the fucking computer and let’s go.”

Justin sighed and went to get his laptop.



*****



Brian had dropped off Justin at the gallery then wandered off to the Liberty Diner before going to Kinnetik. Again he wasn’t really needed there; however, with the children in school, summer vacation over and Justin preoccupied, coming to the Pitts was better than wallowing in self pity, alone.

“Sweetheart!” Debbie’s somewhat acerbic tone pierced the diner noise as Brian entered. The breakfast crowd was still in full force so no booths were available. The tall handsome brunet took a seat at the counter.

“Here ya go, honey,” Debbie said as she slid a cup of coffee towards him. “What brings you in here today?”

Brian didn’t answer, merely shrugging his shoulders. Debbie was hustling with piles of dishes and breakfast platters. It was some time before she realized Brian hadn’t spoken a word. Quiet and brooding was not all that usual for the ex-stud of Liberty, however much times had changed, and Brian with them. He had grown far more animated as he matured.

“Brian, is something wrong?” Debbie asked sincerely as she topped off his cup.

“Justin,” Brian answered cryptically.

“Is something wrong with my Sunshine?” Debbie’s eyes grew wide.

“No, Deb.” Brian patted Debbie’s hand, reassuring the older woman. “Nothing’s wrong, in fact everything is right. Just peachy with the lad.”

“Meaning...”

“Meaning, his new show is guaranteed to be another hit and he’s already involved in a new project.”

“But that’s wonderful! Isn’t it?”

“For him it is.”

“Ah, now I get it. Our little Sunshine is all grown up, has become the best homosexual that he could become and you’re afraid he’s leaving you behind,” Debbie said with the wisdom of the ages. “His work is cutting into your fucking time too,” she added with the wisdom of the greatest fag hag Liberty Avenue had ever known.

Brian shrugged, again.

“Oh honey, let the boy be. He’s left you many times in the past, for different reasons and in different ways, but he always comes back. This is no different. Be supportive like I know you’ve always been. Give him room to work, and once he’s finished, he’ll be back and riding your dick in no time.”

Brian rolled his eyes at the woman. Some things never changed. “Thank you, Dear Abby,” Brian snarked.

“Brian, that boy loves you more than life itself. Just give it time and get yourself a hobby, one that doesn’t involve lube,” Debbie snarked back, then stretched over the counter to give Brian a gentle kiss. “You two have been together for more years than most of Pittsburgh combined. You’ll get through this. Now, don’t go and do anything foolish,” Debbie warned as she pointed a red polished finger at the man.

“Yes, Maw,” Brian murmured. Debbie freshened up his cup then placed a plate of buttered whole wheat toast in front of him. Brian arched his brow, and Debbie scowled. Brian ate his toast without complaint.



*****



“Hi, Mom!” Justin said as his mother approached his table. He made it a point to be early for his lunch date with Jennifer, setting the alarm on his watch, his computer and giving Lindsay explicit instructions to get him out of the gallery on time.

“Hi, Sweetheart,” Jennifer replied giving her beautiful son a hug and a kiss. She then scrutinized Justin’s face carefully. “Justin, you look tired,” Jenn observed as she pushed away a lock of blond hair from Justin’s eyes.

“A little,” Justin admitted as he held Jennifer’s chair while she sat.

“What’s going on? My granddaughter giving you trouble?” Jennifer asked casually as she reached for a breadstick.

“No, she’s an angel. A very precocious angel and way too smart for her own good, but an angel.”

“Brian acting up?”

“Brian does not act up. Queens out maybe, but never acts up.”

“So what is it?” Jennifer asked then paused as her hand hovered over another breadstick. “He’s not tricking, is he?”

“Mom!” Justin was aghast that Jennifer could remotely suggest that... “Shit!”

“Justin, what’s going on? I came here to talk with you about my wedding and now I’m getting the impression that we’re about to discuss a divorce.”

“No, Mom, nothing like that. I’ve just been very busy lately with a new project and I think Brian feels neglected. Now what about you, you set a date yet?”

“No, not yet and don’t change the subject. I’m happy to hear that my number one son-in-law is still my son-in-law. However, you know that Brian Kinney can be high maintenance at times. It’s important to make time for him, Justin. He loves you so much; he’d move mountains for you. God only knows what he spent on flying you to Chicago in the Spring. He deserves to be pampered at times, and appreciated.”

“Mom, I do appreciate Brian, a lot, but I have to work. I’m involved in a fantastic new art project...”

“Which is probably taking up all of your time. I get it, honey. Just don’t get so wrapped up in this new project that you neglect your family. Now, one of the reasons I wanted to see you is that Seth and I are about to set a date and I wanted your opinion.”

“About what?”

“About inviting your father to the wedding. Have you had much contact with him since Bree’s birthday party?”

“No, not really. I guess he didn’t have an excuse to call me.”

“You could have called him, and you don’t need an excuse either. You are still his son.”

“Mom...”

“Don’t go there, Justin. I decided not to invite people from the old neighborhood to the wedding. I really have nothing in common with them anymore. If I invited your father, he’d have no one to talk to except for Susan and the Brenners. That wouldn’t be fair to him. But I’ll speak with Susan and get her opinion. I just don’t want to antagonize him. Although I imagine that Briana would keep him occupied.”

“True.” Their conversation lulled while the waiter brought their salads and confirmed their orders.

“Justin, tell me about your new project.”

“Oh, Mom, I haven’t been this excited about an art project in ages. I’m working in several different mediums including computer graphics. I’ve been interviewing artists at PIFA to help me.”

“What about Lacy?”

“This isn’t her thing, besides she has her own studies to concentrate on, and Rage. No, I really need very technically talented people for this one.”

“So I gather you’ve been spending your time surrounded by young Justin Taylor wannabees. Young, handsome wannabees.”

“Mother, you know that Brian could run circles around anyone I’d ever meet at PIFA. He’s only gotten sexier with age. And I need him, Mom. I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize that.”

“Just as long as you remind him of that. I know he comes off as tough, but you know just how sensitive he really is. He needs you just as much as you need him.”

Their meals came and they became quiet so they could enjoy them.

“When are you thinking of having the wedding?”

“Next Spring. I don’t think I could handle another winter wedding.”

“You going to use Emmett?”

“Who else would I use? Besides, I wouldn’t be able to ever look him in the eye again if we used anyone else.”

“And where will you have it?”

“Maybe at his new restaurant. I can picture it in his patio garden. But I'm not really sure.  We’d like to keep it simple.”

“What’s Seth have to say about all of this?”

“He wants me to be happy.”

“Aw,” Justin teased then giggled.

“You’re not too old to spank, young man.”

“Oh, Mom. But I really like Seth and he seems so comfortable with the family. I don’t think you could find anybody better.”

“I feel the same way. I’m glad you like him. That means a lot to me. Now, tell me a little about your new project, minus the technical babble.”

Jennifer and Justin enjoyed the remainder of their lunch with pleasant conversation.



*****



“Brian, have you got a minute?”

“Well, if it isn’t the ubiquitous Theodore Schmidt. What are you doing here?”

Ted blushed. “I do still work here … at Kinnetik.”

“I guess I’ll have to believe you since you’re here.”

“Me starting my own company isn’t going to affect my job here,” Ted vowed.

“You can’t know that. You’ve missed three days this week,” Brian informed him.

Ted blanched. He didn’t think Brian would have been paying that much attention to his comings and goings. Ted drew in a deep breath. “I think I have a solution to running both businesses.”

“So, you run this business now, do you?” Brian asked with a death glare.

Ted wished there was a hole that would open up at his feet and swallow him. “You … you know what I mean.”

“Do I?”

“I’ve been thinking of interviewing Albert Harmon, you know from over at Part Deux, and offering him the job as head of Schmidt Personal Accountants.”

“I thought that was your job.”

“Old Mr. Wertshafter was right when he told me that ledgers and income tax forms didn’t make my heart beat faster. I love the creativity of my job here. I don’t want to be in charge of supervising my accountants and looking after the day to day running of the company.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “I thought that was why you started the fucking company, so that it would be yours.”

“It will be mine, but I don’t have to be there every minute of every day.”

Brian stared at his CFO. This was the best news he’d had in several shitty days. “So what are you going to do with Alvin, if you get him?”

“It’s Albert … Albert Harmon. You know, the accountant from Bree’s birthday party. The guy we hired. Sheldon’s father.”

“I know who the fuck he is. Answer my question.”

“I’d like to put him in charge of my company, and then I won’t have to worry about it.”

“I take it that ledgers and income tax forms make his heart beat faster,” Brian smirked.

“You know he’s done a bang up job at Part Deux.”

“So why would I want to lose him to your company?”

“Because it would make it easier for me to do my job here?” Ted said hopefully.

“And what will happen at Part Deux? I thought we needed a CFO there.”

“Albert’s been working with this one accountant over there and he tells me that we need to promote him or he’ll be looking for a CFO job somewhere else.”

“So you want to take Algernon from Part Deux and promote the other guy? And you get an excellent executive for your own company?” Brian asked as he summed up Ted’s plan.

“Right on the first try.”

“Why would Alexander agree to that? Don’t we pay him enough at Part Deux, or are you planning on giving him your salary if he joins your company?”

“Actually it’s something like that. I’d match his salary from Part Deux and offer options for him to become a partner in Schmidt’s Personal Accountants.”

Brian smiled for the first time. “You’ve become quite the wheeler dealer, Theodore.”

“Thank you, Boss,” Ted said, realizing that he had just received the Brian Kinney seal of approval.

“Okay, so get out of my office, Schmidt. Go take care of your wheeling and dealing,” Brian ordered, but there was no malice in his voice. “And Theodore, I think you made a good choice in Albert.”

“Right you are, Boss,” Ted said with a grin. “And thanks, Brian.”

Brian shook his head as Ted quickly left the office. He might just come out of this plan better off than ever, and it meant he would be able to keep one of his oldest and most loyal employees. And a good friend, Brian thought, as he turned back to the copy he had been reading.



*****



“You ready to go, Sunshine?” Brian asked walking into Sidney Bloom’s office at the gallery.

“You’re early,” Justin said looking up from his computer.

“I got bored with fixing all the problems at Kinnetik,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“And there were so many, I imagine,” Justin laughed.

“Hundreds, but I waved my magic wand and fixed them all.”

“Hey, that wand’s mine.”

“That’s why I’m here. I thought we might go home and put it to use,” Brian said with a feral grin.

Justin felt a little shiver run down his spine. A sexual and horny Brian Kinney was a force to be reckoned with. It made Justin horny just thinking about it. “Ready when you are,” he grinned.

“Let’s hit the road then.”

“Brian, are we okay?” Justin asked as he closed his computer and stood up. “I mean … really okay?”

Brian frowned and then sighed. “I realize how important this project is to you. It’s taking a lot of your time. I can live with that.”

“I know you can. You have been. I don’t want to push my luck … too far,” Justin admitted, thinking about what his mother had told him.

“Save me an hour or two every day, and I’ll manage,” Brian conceded.

Justin smiled one of his radiant best. “I love you, Brian Kinney.”

“Don’t forget that when I bite your head off.”

“Huh?” Justin asked. That wasn’t the reaction he had expected.

“You’re going to be busy, and you’re going to forget me and Bree, and I’m going to be pissed. So, remember that you love me when I chew you a new one.”

“Jesus, Brian, how do you know I’m going to do that. I was telling you my resolution to make things better.”

“I know, and the best laid plans…” Brian let those words hang in the air.

“Don’t you have any faith in me?”

“Every faith, but I’m also a realist. I tell it like it is.”

Justin’s face fell. He realized that Brian was probably right. He’d already let the project take over most of his life. He’d forgotten to pick up his own daughter because of the project. “Can I say I’m sorry in advance?”

“You can, and I hear you. But be prepared for major drama queen moments. I can see them coming,” Brian warned.

“From you … or me?’

“Both! Now let’s go home and fuck.”

Brian slung his arm around Justin’s shoulders and they left the gallery.


Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 4





“Morning, Mr. Taylor!”

“Hi, Troi`, it is Troi`, right?”

“Yup, I’m Troi`,” the handsome dark-haired twink proudly announced. Just then Troi`’s duplicate walked into the computer room.

“Morning, Mr. Taylor!”

“Good morning, Tre`! And guys, you have to cut out the mister crap, okay? Mr. Taylor is my father and I really don’t like being reminded of him.”

“Okay, Justin,” the twin beauties sing-songed.

Troi` and Tre` Donahue, twin brothers, both gifted in music, art, and computer wizardry. And both very gay. They jumped at the chance to work with their artistic idol. Troi` loved computer art as a child, his brother Tre` would delight in setting Troi`’s work to music. They did almost everything together. And now they were given the opportunity of working together with Justin Taylor.

“Is the program finished?” Justin asked.

“Yup!” they both answered enthusiastically. The brothers devised a computer program that would turn Justin’s paintings into a fractal representation. Tre` would then compose a computer generated musical piece to accompany the transformation.

“Can I see an example?” Justin asked as he handed Tre` a thumb drive with a few pictures of still life subjects and the painting it inspired.

Tre` made short work of uploading the pictures and then they all leaned in to watch. First it was a photograph of a simple black-eyed susan. Then the painting Justin did of the flower. With a few key strokes, the flower slowly morphed into the painting and then again into its fractal counterpart. It then slowly transformed back.

“Of course, it’ll really kick ass when I add the music,” Tre` boasted and his brother agreed.

“Just do me one favor, guys.”

“Anything, Justin,” the twins said as one.

“No violin music,” Justin requested as the three got back to work.



*****



Dinner that night at Edna’s Treasures was a pleasant if somewhat somber affair, conspicuously minus one blond boy artist. Brian and Bree had dinner at the Anderson-Morrison side, dining on a succulent pork roast, new potatoes and steamed vegetables. Bree kept hoping her daddy would show up to join them. After dinner Brian helped Bobby with the kitchen chores, as John helped the kids do a final check of their homework assignments.

“Where’s your partner tonight?” Bobby asked his brother-in-law only to receive a death glare for his troubles. Bobby snickered. “It sucks to be you right now, doesn’t it,” he teased.

Brian grunted.

“Brian, you knew he was spending the day in Pittsburgh. Rachel picked up the children after school and he called to tell you that he was on his way home. He’s being very responsible about this. Acknowledge that when he gets home, which should be any minute.”

Brian sighed.

“Martyrdom does not become you,” Bobby quipped. They were finished storing the leftovers and had made a plate up for Justin when Bobby made a suggestion. “After Justin has dinner and spends a little quality time with Bree, why don’t you run him a bath.”

“A bath?”

“Yes, a bath. I’m sure he’d appreciate it. He was probably hunched over a computer all day long. A nice warm relaxing bath would do him a world of good.”

“And what do I get out of it?”

“A very grateful Sunshine.”

“Who will probably fall asleep the minute his head hits the pillow.”

“So what if he does? He’s doing it in your bed, in your arms, right where he belongs.” Bobby’s grey blue eyes pierced Brian down to his soul.

Brian contemplated Bobby’s words for a moment then gave him a chaste kiss, ruffling the fiery red hair. “You’re a very wise man, Bobby Morrison,” Brian drawled.

“I know. Now, go show Justin how much you love and support him. Bree can stay with Patrick tonight, so if Justin does fall asleep right away, you can have some quality time together in the morning. What’s important, Brian, is that he comes home to you, just like you’ve come home to him.”

Brian nodded then brought Justin’s dinner to their end of the cottage.

“Where’s he going?” John asked entering the kitchen as Brian left. John wrapped his long strong arms around the smaller man.

“Home, to be there when his partner gets home. And to show Justin just how much he’s loved and cherished.”

“Cherished?” John said with a smile.

“Yes, John, cherished because we know Brian loves and cherishes his Sunshine more than anything else in this world except for his kids.” Bobby snuggled into John’s embrace.

“Just like I love and cherish you?” John murmured into the red hair then kissed his lover senseless.

“Yes,” Bobby whispered into John’s mouth as he returned the kiss.



*****



“Dada, is Auntie Rachel picking us up again today?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Oh.”

“Don’t you like Auntie Rachel picking you up?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“I hardly ever see you and Daddy no more.”

“Anymore,” Brian corrected. “And that’s not true,” he protested, but not very strongly. It seemed like they hardly ever had family time together anymore, just the three of them.

“Can I sleep at Auntie Rachel’s tonight?”

“Yeah, that would be fun,” Patrick said as he finished his breakfast. His dads had already headed off to work.

“Why? Why would you want to do that?” Brian asked bewildered. Usually Bree wanted to be at their hip all the time.

“I won’t see Daddy, and you aren’t … happy no more,” Bree replied, searching for how to explain what she meant. “I’ll have fun with Michelle and Cindy.”

“What do you mean I’m not happy?”

“You look mad all the time, Uncle Brian,” Patrick piped up.

Brian tried not to glare at the boy. He was just making an observation of what he saw. “Are Michelle and Cindy both going to be home?”

“I think so,” Bree said with a little pout.

Brian looked at her. Was this the beginning? Was this how it was going to be from now on? Justin off doing his own thing. Bree out with friends. Nobody at home, just him … all alone.

“Dada,” Bree said, bringing Brian out of his lonely, desolate thoughts. “School?”

“Oh, yeah, let’s go,” he said. Justin was already on his way to Pittsburgh. Brian had decided to go to Part Deux today, and spread good cheer over there for the day. “Patrick, get your book bag,” Brian said. He was really in a miserable mood now. Part Deux watch out. He herded the children out the door.



*****



“Brian, how are you?” Scott said, as he hurried out to greet Brian. His secretary had just given him the heads up that Brian Kinney was in the building.

“Lousy. You?”

“Um … quite well, thanks. Everything is fine here. Is there anything in particular that you wanted to speak to me about?”

“I didn’t particularly want to speak to you at all,” Brian said sarcastically.

“Sorry,” Scott said with a frown. “What can I do for you?”

“Have you got an empty office I can use? Preferably one with a door that locks from the inside.”

“Take mine. I have some work to do in the art department.”

“Good,” Brian said dismissing Scott. “Oh, and if Albert Harmon is around, send him in to see me.”

“Yes, sir,” Scott acquiesced and disappeared down the hall.

Brian moved into Scott’s office and shut the door behind him. He wondered what the fuck he was doing there. Making everyone’s life miserable. That had been his goal when he set out for Part Deux, but it didn’t seem to be making him feel any better, as he had hoped it might.

A tap on the door brought him out of his thoughts. “Enter!” he ordered imperially.

“Did you wish to see me, Mr. Kinney?” Albert Harmon asked timidly.

“Not particularly, but I do have a bone to pick with you.”

“A … a bone?”

“Yes, I understand Ted Schmidt has offered you a job at his new firm, and you’re hemming and hawing about it.”

“Well, I don’t know…” Albert began.

“Take the job,” Brian ordered.

“Are … are you firing me?” Albert asked with trepidation.

Brian could tell the man was hurt by Brian’s harsh words, but he didn’t really care. Brian studied the man for a moment and then drew in a breath. He softened his tone. “You’ve done a good job for us here at Part Deux, but Ted tells me that he wants you at his company. He says he needs someone reliable and trustworthy and whose heart beats fast at the sight of a balance sheet. For some reason he seems to think that’s you.”

Albert ventured a small smile. “Is that what he thinks?” he asked.

Brian nodded. “So why didn’t you snap up the job?”

“I … I like working here. I’m not sure I want to go into Pittsburgh. It’s a long drive.”

“I drive it all the time.”

“But my family’s here.”

“You’re never more than a phone call away,” Brian told him.

Albert studied Brian Kinney. He couldn’t figure out why Mr. Kinney was trying to get rid of him. He decided he had to be blunt. “Mr. Kinney, I appreciate everything you’ve done for me over the last while. My family was in a shambles, to say nothing of my finances. This job saved my life.” Brian nodded and kept quiet. “I do like it here. I’ve worked hard for you and the company. It’s safe and secure here. Your companies are very successful.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Safe and secure,” he repeated. “Ted Schmidt used to regale us with how safe and secure his job at Wertshafter’s was, until the day he got fired.”

“Fired? But, who would fire Ted Schmidt? That’s crazy.”

“Mr. Wertshafter didn’t think it was crazy. Any time you work for someone else, the possibility of being fired is there. We’ve all been there at one time or another.” Albert raised his eyes and looked into Brian’s. “Didn’t you think just a few minutes ago that I was firing to you?”

Albert’s eyes widened. “Yes, I did. I hoped that wasn’t so, but I did think you might fire me.”

“If you own your own business or are a partner in a business that won’t happen. Ted offered you a share in the company, didn’t he?”

“Yes, he did, over time. But it’s a new company, and Wertshafter’s was going under when Ted bought it. It could still fail,” Albert explained.

“Anything can fail. There are no guarantees, Albert. This company could fail too, heaven forbid!”

“That’s what I mean. I want to be safe. I don’t want to be in the position I was in when I first met you. I wasn’t sure how I could take care of my family,” Albert said sadly as he remembered that terrible period and the all consuming fear he had felt.

“If you own a company, it’s your own hard work that determines the outcome. I know you work hard here. I’ve been told. But I think this is an opportunity that you need to take advantage of. Take a leaf out of your son’s book. He became an entrepreneur to help the family. This kind of opportunity comes along very rarely.”

“So you think I should take it?” Albert asked.

“I think you know what I’m telling you. It’s ultimately your decision, but you may never get a chance like this again.”

Albert looked thoughtful. “Thank you, Mr. Kinney,” he said.

“I told you to call me Brian. Now get out of my office, and make the right decision for fuck sake,” Brian ordered.

“Thank you, Brian. I will certainly think very carefully about what to do.” Albert left the office.

“Fucking accountants,” Brian muttered. They were all so careful, so hesitant to take a chance. But he supposed that was part of being an accountant. Clients wanted that conservative point of view. That was part of why he liked having Ted around. Brian might have the big ideas, but it was Ted who told him if they could be done, and then he helped figure out the logistics of making them happen.

Suddenly Brian felt a lot better. He pulled out his cell phone and hit number one on the speed dial.

“Hey,” the familiar voice said.

“Am I interrupting?”

“Yes, but you know I always want to talk to you,” Justin purred.

“You know just the right thing to say.”

“I pride myself on that.”

“What time do you think you’ll be done today?”

“We’re aiming for six, but probably seven.”

“What would you say to a quite dinner at Pappagano’s and a night at the loft?” Brian asked.

“I’d say that sounds heavenly.”

Brian smiled into the phone. “Good.”

“What put you in such a good mood?”

“I’m at Part Deux terrorizing the inhabitants.”

Justin laughed. “I should have known that would get your juices running. Any bloodshed?”

“No, none at all … surprisingly.”

Justin frowned at the strange timber in Brian’s voice. “Brian is everything all right?”

“Weirdly, yes, it is.”

“You sound funny.”

“I feel funny. Things are all off kilter … starting with you.”

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“You know what I think about sorry.”

“It doesn’t mean that I still can’t feel sorry. I hate being away from you.”

“Then meet me at Pappagano’s and we’ll have a night to remember.”

“I like the sound of that,” Justin said with a smile in his voice. “But what about Bree?”

“She told me this morning that she wanted to sleep over at Rachel’s,” Brian admitted.

“She did?” That surprised Justin. “Why?”

“It’s a long story,” Brian sighed.

“You can tell me over dinner.”

“So, you’ll meet me?”

“Yes.”

“And you won’t forget?”

“Brian…”

“Okay, okay. Just meet me.”

“I said I would.”

“Later,” Brian said.

“Later.”

Brian snapped his phone shut and drew in a breath. He did feel better in spite of the shitty day it had started out to be. He looked at his watch. It was two in the afternoon. He would go home and grab a bite of something. Then he could pamper himself and get himself ready for Justin, before heading into Pittsburgh.

Brian closed his briefcase and stood up. His work here was done. He walked out of the office.

“Everything all right, Brian?” Scott asked as he hurried over to see if Brian needed anything.

“Peachy,” Brian said heading towards the front door of Part Deux.

“Are you leaving?”

“Yes, I’ve spread enough good cheer for one day,” Brian said.

“You certainly have,” Scott chuckled and shook his head. “Where are you off to now?”

“I have a hot date,” Brian said proudly.

“Does Justin know?” Scott laughed.

“I certainly hope so.”

Brian pushed open the door of Part Deux and walked outside. He drew in a deep breath of the early fall air. He was in a much better frame of mind than when he had entered the place. Maybe he could make that last at least until tomorrow. He headed for his car.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 5






“Shit!” Justin exclaimed as he snapped his phone shut.

“What’s wrong?” the twins asked in unison.

“My partner, I’m meeting him tonight at Pappagano’s, and I just remembered I don’t have any clothes here. I mean I have clothes, but not good stuff. And, well, I’m the one fag in the whole country that has absolutely no fashion sense. At least according to Brian I don’t.” The twins burst out into laughter.

Justin pondered the situation then made a phone call.

“Emmett? It’s me, Justin. Yeah, I’m here in the Pitts. I need a really, really big favor. I’m kinda in the doghouse with Brian and he’s going to meet me here for dinner. I need to look really good for him. If I show up at Pappagano’s in cargo pants, he’ll divorce me.”

The twins cocked their cute heads to one side, as they watched a look of sheer horror come over their mentor’s face while Emmett was offering his fashion opinion to Justin. Troi` decided to take charge of the situation while Tre` distracted their stricken idol.

“Hi, Emmett, you don’t know me but I’m an art student at the institute. My brother and I have been working with Justin on a new project. Yes, we’re all very excited about it. Um, Justin seems to have gone all sorts of shades of green, and between you and me, green is so not his color. Oh, I agree, yellows and creams and deep navy. Yes, sounds fabulous. Torso? Of course, I know where that is. Doesn’t everybody? A new line? For the up and coming fag? Suitable for an upscale night on the town? Yes, yes! Sounds heavenly. Thank you so much. Yes, I know the bistro. We’ll stop in to show you. Thank you, Emmett, it’s been wonderful speaking with you.”

Troi` turned to Tre` and, in a shorthand twin-speak, Troi` relayed to his brother what the plan was. They could still put in about an hour more of work before the twins would help Justin go shopping.



*****



“Hey Squirt!” Brian called out as he entered the home of Rachel and George. Cindy and Michelle were visiting their parents and were delighted to take charge of the little ones.

“Dada!” Bree responded as she flung herself into Brian’s arms. “Do I have to go home?” she asked with a pout. Bree did want to spend time at her Auntie Rachel’s.

“No, sweetheart. I came by because I’m going to the Pitts to have dinner with your daddy. I wanted to give you a goodnight kiss. If I’m successful, I’ll bring your daddy home with me tomorrow. You know how to reach me.”

“Yes, Dada, I know.”

“Patrick, your dads are home if you need them.”

“I know, Uncle Bri. You go have fun with Uncle Justin,” Patrick said knowingly. That boy was very smart about so many things.

“Yeah, Dada, then you won’t be so grumpy all the time,” Bree added. Brian sighed; his grumpiness was getting out of hand.

“Okay, Squirt. Fun with Daddy and no more grumpiness.”

Bright smiles lit up Bree and Patrick’s faces. Rachel chuckled as she showed Brian out.

Brian smiled all the way into Pittsburgh. He had come home from Part Deux, and primped and pampered himself. Dressed himself in his sexiest finery, made special reservations at the restaurant and special arrangements with a certain fairy godmother for later at the loft. Brian was, at the moment, a happy man.



*****



“Justin, we did enough for today,” Tre` said.

“It’s time to get you ready for your date,” Troi` added.

“But it’s only four; we can keep working. There’s plenty of time to shop.”

“No, there isn’t. We have to go back to your place so you can shower and put on clean underwear. You can wear these clothes when we go shopping,” Tre` began.

“Then we go to Torso for a fabulous outfit and new shoes and then we head over to Emmett’s bistro because he wants to see how you look,” Troi` added.

Watching the twins speak was like watching a tennis match. The conversation flowed back and forth very quickly, it made Justin dizzy.

“What do I do with my car?”

“We’ll follow you home then drive you to Torso and we can drop you off at Pappagano’s,” Troi` supplied.

“You’d do this for me?” Justin asked in awe.

“Of course, Justin. Working with you is a great honor, not to mention how much fun we’re having and how much we’re learning,” Tre` said and his brother agreed.

“Well I thank you in advance. But guys, no fuchsia, tangerine or glitter,” Justin said with a laugh.

“We promise,” the twins said raising their hands in a vow.

“Okay, let’s go.” Justin and the boys shut down their computers, stowed their stuff and left the building.



*****



“Oooo!” Justin and the twins exclaimed as they walked up to Torso and caught a glimpse of the window display.

Liberty Avenue was quite busy that afternoon, so after a quick trip to the loft for Justin to shower and shave, the twins drove back onto Liberty and parked as close as they could get to the trendy fashion boutique. However, they still had to walk a few blocks, completely unaware of the admiring looks they were getting, oblivious to the gossip they were inspiring. The beautiful blond entered Torso with his stunning raven haired bookends. A perky ‘fashion consultant’ scurried to attend to them.

“Hello, my name is Tyler. I’ll be your consultant this afternoon. How can I dress you?” Tyler gushed with the enthusiasm worthy of Torso’s former employee.

“He needs a fabulous upscale and very tasteful ensemble for a special dinner date tonight,” Troi` explained to Tyler.

“May I ask the venue?” Tyler asked very professionally.

Before Justin could answer, Tre` did. “Pappagano’s,” Tre` supplied.

“Very chic,” Tyler purred. “Oh my, look at all this gorgeous blond hair and those eyes, something in navy.”

“Exactly!” the twins said as they ushered Justin toward a rack of suitable suits.

As Justin tried on several examples of the latest and hippest, Tyler and the twins became further acquainted. Justin came out of the dressing room wearing a pair of deep grey pants, pale blue shirt, navy pin-striped sport coat with a matching tie. Tyler found an appropriate pair of loafers to complete Justin’s outfit.

“Do I look okay?” Justin asked hesitantly.

“Oh honey, whoever you’re trying to impress is going to be completely ga-ga over you,” Tyler said as he clapped his hands with glee.

“Guys? What do you think?” Justin asked his twin art colleagues.

“Beautiful!” they sighed.

Justin paid the bill. Tre` and Troi` exchanged numbers with Tyler (not going there) then the trio left Torso to walk over to Emmett’s Place for his final stamp of approval.

“Fabulous, sweetie! Brian is going to be totally impressed,” Emmett gave his approval. “Justin, honey, this is for Brian, isn’t it?” Emmett said as he pulled Justin aside to whisper in his ear, while eyeing the twins.

“Of course this is for Brian, but Troi` and Tre` helped me pick out the clothes. Do you think you can feed them a nice dinner for me, my treat. We’ve been working very hard on my new project.”

“Oh honey, I’ll take good care of your boys. Shall I get them a table here? Or would they like to go to the restaurant?”

“Not sure. They’re going to drop me off to meet Brian first and then I’ll send them back.”

“No matter, I’ll take care of them. You have a wonderful time with your sexy honey tonight.”

“I plan to, Emm.”

Emmett showed the trio out, assuring the twins that a hot meal courtesy of their grateful benefactor would be waiting for them. A five minute drive later and Justin was saying goodbye to the twins as the valet was taking care of Brian’s Vette.

“I’m impressed, Sunshine,” Brian drawled, startling Justin and making him jump. “Since when did you learn how to dress?” Brian kissed Justin’s temple, removing the sting of his snark then glared at the twins who were beginning to drool over the couple. The combination of Brian and Justin, dark and light was irresistible.

“Who are your little friends, Justin?” Brian asked in a low voice. Brian had stretched to his full height, pulling Justin in close. He towered over Justin possessively as he towered over the twins, menacingly.

Justin merely rolled his eyes at his needlessly jealous spouse then made the introductions. “Brian, these are my partners in my new art project. They’re handling the computer graphics and musical part of the project. Troi` and Tre` Donahue, Brian Kinney, my life partner.”

“Hi, Mr. Kinney!” the twins said respectfully and in unison.

“Mmm, lovely. I take it they do everything together.”

“Almost,” the twins replied.

“Peachy. Well, its been lovely, boys, but we have reservations. I’m sure I’ll see you again.” Brian glared but the boys were unaffected. The twins smiled prettily, bid Justin a good night then drove off back to Emmett’s.

“Brian,” Justin began.

“You don’t have to say it, Justin. I’m an asshole,” Brian murmured as he guided Justin into the restaurant.

“That’s not what I was going to say,” Justin stated stopping just inside the door. He turned and reached up on tiptoe to give Brian a loving kiss. “I love you, Brian, even when you’re jealous and marking your territory. I’m yours, always and forever. Now feed me, then we can go back to the loft where you can take your time marking your territory all night long.” Justin gave his spouse a brilliant smile.

Brian arched his brow, his eyes shining with love. Hand in hand, they allowed Alberto to show them to their table.



*****



“Auntie Rachel,” Bree said as she got ready for bed.

“Yes, dear,” Rachel replied.

“Could Michelle and Cindy tuck me in?”

Rachel smiled. “I think that could be arranged.”

“Good.”

“Do you want to say your prayers for me and then I’ll get the girls to read you a story?”

“’Kay.” Bree knelt by her bed, as her Gamma Joan had taught her. “Now I lay me down to sleep,” she began. As she finished the old prayer she added, “Bless everybody in my family. I love them all.”

Rachel smiled. ‘That’s one big and crazy family,’ she thought to herself.

“Please make my Dada not be grumpy. I don’t like it when he’s grumpy.”

Rachel smiled. Out of the mouths of babes, she thought.

“And make my Daddy be home more. He’s gone too much. Amen.”

“That was lovely, dear,” Rachel told her as Bree climbed up onto the big bed. “I’ll send in Michelle and Cindy.” She kissed Bree’s forehead and left the room.

When the girls came into the room they found Bree sitting on the bed with her grey bunny in her arms.

“How did Mr. Bunny get here?” Michelle asked running her hand over the smooth fake fur of the bunny’s coat.

“I got him when we took Patrick home to his daddies,” Bree said.

“He didn’t want to stay with us women?” Cindy chuckled.

“Nope,” Bree said shaking her head. “He said we’d do girlie stuff.”

“Typical man for you,” Michelle laughed.

“Do you want us to read you a story?” Cindy asked. Bree shook her head. “No?” Cindy was surprised. “Is something wrong, Bree?”

Bree frowned. “Could I come stay with you?” she asked.

“Stay with us? We don’t even live here anymore, Bree. We’re at college,” Michelle explained. “We’re just home here for a long weekend.”

Bree sighed. “My Dada isn’t happy. He might not want me around no more.”

“Oh, Bree, that’s not true. Your Dada loves you. He’ll always want you around,” Michelle said giving Bree a hug.

“There will come a time when you’ll wish he wasn’t around so much,” Cindy informed her. Bree shook her head. Cindy just smiled knowing how protective Brian Kinney could be, to say nothing of Justin Taylor. “Your daddies love you very much, Bree. Everything will be all right.”

“Are you sure you don’t want a story?” Michelle asked, hoping to distract Bree.

Bree picked up her favorite storybook that she had brought from home with her bunny. She handed it to Michelle and snuggled down under her covers to listen.



*****



Brian’s phone rang as he and Justin were coming out of Pappagano’s. “Fuck!” Brian griped as he pulled it out to see who was interrupting their beautiful evening. He recognized the number immediately.

“Gus? Is something wrong?” he said into the phone.

“No, Pop, sorry if I’m bothering you.”

“You never bother me, Sonny Boy,” Brian told his son. Justin elbowed Brian in the ribs. “What’s up?”

“Tomorrow’s Saturday,” Gus informed his father who handed his valet ticket to the attendant.

“I know that, Sonny Boy. Get to the point.”

“I … I was wondering if you could come get me and take me to the cottage for the weekend.”

“Why?”

“Can’t I visit with my Pop?” Gus asked trying to make his request sound like the most natural thing on earth.

“Don’t bullshit me, my lad. What do you want?”

Gus let out a put-upon sigh. “I thought maybe you’d let me practice driving in the lane.”

“Emmett might like to keep his cottage in one piece.”

“Pop!”

“How is driver’s ed going?”

“I’m doing really well, but I need some practice and the moms…”

“Say no more,” Brian stopped him. “Justin and I are spending the night at the loft. We’ll pick you up at nine tomorrow.”

“Isn’t that kind of early?” Gus asked.

“Well, if you don’t think you can drag yourself out of bed by then, I guess we’ll just leave without you.”

“I’ll be ready,” Gus said quickly.

“Good, see you in the morning.” Brian’s car pulled up in front of them.

“Night, Pop, and thanks.”

“Don’t keep me waiting when I get there in the morning,” Brian warned.

“Never,” Gus promised with a chuckle.

“Night, Sonny Boy.” Brian cut the connection.

“What was that all about?” Justin asked as they got into their car.

“We’re taking Gus back to the cottage with us in the morning. And then we’ll have to pray to all the gods we can think of. He wants to practice driving in the lane.”

“Oooh,” Justin giggled.

“What?” Brian asked as he pulled out into traffic.

“I was just thinking about learning to drive. It’s one of those rites of passage things, you know,” Justin lectured him.

“Another public service announcement courtesy Professor Taylor. I’ll keep that in mind.”

Justin smiled. “What car are you going to let him drive?”

“Yours!”

“Hey!”

“Well, I’m certainly not letting him drive the Vette.”

Justin sighed in resignation. “Okay. I guess I can live with that. He’ll be safer in my car anyway.”

“Yeah, but will we be safe from him?”

Justin laughed. “Get us to the loft so we can get our fuck time in,” Justin urged.

“Shit, why did I tell Gus to be ready so early. We’ll have to get up at the fucking crack of dawn.”

Justin grinned. “Or we could stay up all night,” he whispered.

Brian stepped down on the accelerator. He liked the sound of that.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 6





“Melanie, please come in,” Raphael said cheerfully. “I didn’t realize lawyers made house calls, or should I say vet clinic calls.” Raph showed Melanie into his office so that they could talk in private.

“Well, since we’re seeing the judge on Monday I wanted to go over a few more details with you.”

“Can I offer you some coffee or tea?”

“No thank you, this won’t take long. I have the photographs of your home and Curtis’ room. We have all your financial statements and Hector’s as well. Officially, Curtis will be your son. One adoption at a time. Besides, the court may look the other way regarding the same sex relationship because Curtis is being adopted by an African-American. Raph, I have to be very frank with you. Even our staunchest supporters must be very diligent when granting custody of a child to a gay man or couple. All the ducks have to be in a row and even then, well, it just seems that Pittsburgh likes to remain in the dark ages.”

Melanie paused to let what she told Raphael sink in then she continued.

“Raph, I had made your petition to Judge Schultz. Everything was set for Monday morning at nine. However, I received word late last night that Judge Schultz had a family emergency and had to go out of town. She’s going to make every effort to get back in time to hear our case. However, I’m going to try to get a postponement. The replacement judge may not be as supportive as Judge Schultz.”

“Postponement,” Raph sighed with disappointment. “It feels like we’ve waited a lifetime already.”

“I know but I’m not sure I’d want to take my chances with someone else.”

“I’ll talk to Hector about it and get back to you later, but we really don’t want to wait.”

“Well, Judge Schultz did say she was going to try to get back in time.”

“Then let’s go ahead with the proceedings.”

Melanie nodded then let herself out of the clinic.



*****



“Brian, don’t you want to go outside?” John asked his grouchy brother who was sipping his third cup of coffee. They were sitting in the sun porch. The kids were playing in the Wendy house with Beau keeping guard. Justin was at his computer.

“Not particularly.”

“Why not? My mother was right at my side in our old pickup truck when I was practicing.”

“John, do you want to know what I remember about learning how to drive? Every wrong move I made, Jack was cursing at me and smacking me around. I hated every minute of it. I finally got sick of begging to borrow his car. So I snuck over to Debbie’s. Vic was home for a visit. He drove me to a quiet parking lot, reviewed the basics with me then got out of the car. He told me to practice. There was no one around and he took a stroll to the far side of the lot. I watched him sit under a tree and read a book. I practiced for hours. The next week I took my road test and passed.”

“Brian, you’re not Jack.”

“I know but Gus has been taking lessons. Lindsay said she’s been letting him practice a little. I reviewed the basics with him and I told him that I’d line up our cars so that he could practice parallel parking later. He needs to gain confidence. Our lane is long enough that he can practice turns and parking.”

“I see your point, but Gus might need your advice.”

“Gus knows that I’ll be right here if he needs me. I’m trying to be mature about this.”

“So why the gallon and a half of coffee?”

“I said I’m trying to be mature not that I’m succeeding. I’m going a bit crazy in here, but I promised myself to trust the boy.”

“You’re a good dad, brother dearest. I’ll even help you line up the cars later. You going to let him practice parking near the Vette?” John watched Brian’s face for his reaction.

“I may be crazy but I’m not stupid.”

John burst out laughing. “Okay, I get it. Let him practice then after lunch we’ll shift the cars.” Brian agreed then sprinted to the bathroom.



*****



Bree and Patrick poked their heads out of the Wendy house. Beau raised his head as he watched the children. He wondered what they were planning now.

“Let’s go, Patrick,” Bree said.

“But Uncle Brian told us to stay in here.”

“We aren’t going anywhere,” Bree said with exasperation. “Just to the corner of the house. Come on.”

Patrick followed her out of the Wendy house and around the back of it. They ran to Patrick’s side of the cottages so they wouldn’t be in full view of the sun porch. Beau followed the two, wondering what they were up to. He didn’t think he needed to do anything … yet.

“Where are we going?” Patrick asked again.

“Gus is driving. I want to see.”

“Oh,” Patrick replied. This could be funny.

“Here he comes up the lane,” Bree said clapping her hands with glee as she peered out from the corner of the house. Patrick looked over her shoulder.

The car came up the driveway … fast. Gus had taken it easy on his first couple of trips along the lane, but now he was getting bolder. Gus barreled into the loop of driveway in front of Edna’s Treasures and jammed on the brakes. A spray of gravel shot out from the tires as the vehicle came to a stop.

“Wow!” Patrick said.

“I don’t think Daddy would like Gus doing that to his car,” Bree said knowingly.

“There he goes again,” Patrick observed as Gus took off down the lane. “I don’t want to ride with him.”

“Gus drives good,” Bree declared trying to make herself believe that.

Patrick shook his head. “I don’t think so.”

They watched as Gus slid the SUV to a stop inches from Emmett’s precious picket fence at the end of the lane.

“I’m glad Auntie Emm isn’t here,” Bree said. “I think he might go nuts if he saw that.” She couldn’t help giggling at the thought of one of her Auntie Emm’s queen-outs.

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed.

Gus drove the car back up the lane after executing a five point turn. He pulled to a stop next to the other vehicles parked outside the house. He stepped out of the car.

“Gus!” Bree called and ran to her brother who scooped her up and spun her around.

“Hey, short stuff, were you watching me drive?”

Bree nodded her head enthusiastically. “I don’t think Daddy would like you shooting out stones when you stop,” she chastised him.

“I was just experimenting,” Gus laughed.

“And Auntie Emm really likes his fence,” Patrick added.

“No kidding,” Gus said, but his face grew more solemn. “Maybe I better take it easy until I’ve had more practice.”

“Yeah,” Bree agreed.

“Don’t tell your daddy about the stones, okay?”

Bree nodded. “I won’t.”

“Good girl! Let’s go get Pop and see about parallel parking,” Gus said.

“What’s pallalel?”

“Parallel. Well, you line up your car beside another car, so they’re parallel,” Gus said setting Bree down and drawing two lines side by side in the gravel of the driveway. “See.”

Bree studied the two lines. They didn’t look like cars. She could draw better cars than that. She thought maybe she better not tell Gus that. She merely nodded in agreement.

“Let’s get Pop,” Gus said again and headed for the house with two children and one dog trailing behind him. “Pop, I’m ready to try parking,” he said as he entered the sun porch where his father was doing his best to relax on the chaise. Brian’s stomach was still in knots.

“Okay,” Brian said standing up slowly. He wasn’t at all sure about this. “I guess I better line the cars up for you.”

Gus smiled at his father, and Brian felt bad for doubting his son. He could do this. Gus would be fine, and so would the cars.

“I have a better idea,” John said coming in the sun porch door carrying some orange pylons. “I had these in the back of the Navigator. I use them occasionally at construction sites. How be we start with you maneuvering the car between these?”

Brian breathed a sigh of relief. He liked the sound of that. “Okay, let’s go,” he said feeling better than he had all morning.

They all trooped outside. John set up the pylons away from the other cars, laying out a space approximately the size of a parking space in the city. Gus climbed into Justin’s SUV, feeling like he could do anything. This would be a piece of cake.

Brian leaned in the window of the car. “Do you want me to sit with you?” he asked Gus.

“No, I’m fine, Pop. We went over all this at school.”

“Okay,” Brian replied stepping back.

“Make sure the kids are out of the way,” Gus called as he started the engine.

Brian and John gathered the kids and Beau and moved back near the front door of the house. Gus pulled the car up beside the pylons then past them. He waved confidently at his audience. Then he started to back up. John and Brian held their breath. Bree and Patrick giggled. Beau laid down and covered his ears with his paws.

Gus turned the SUV way too far to the right. He stepped on the gas and the vehicle jerked backwards running over two pylons that marked what would have been the curb on a street.

“There goes the tires of the SUV,” John chuckled.

Gus tried again, pulling forward and then backing up right over the back pylon.

“Grill of the Navigator,” Brian sighed.

Gus tried to right the car by straightening the wheels and pulling forward. He ran over the front pylon.

“There goes the trunk of your Vette,” John said shaking his head.

“Jesus, could he have done any worse?” Brian asked.

“Yes, if we had let him use our cars to drive around.”

Gus got out of the car and looked at the flattened pylons. “Sorry, Uncle John,” he said. “I guess I need a little more practice.”

“Maybe just a bit,” John said slapping him on the back. “I think we should straighten out the pylons, so I can use them again.”

“Sure, sorry about that,” Gus said retrieving a pylon and bending it back into some semblance of what it had looked like before. “The SUV is a lot higher up and bigger than my Mom’s car,” Gus explained.

“I’m sure it is, but have you even tried parallel parking in Driver’s Ed?” John asked as he resurrected the last pylon.

“Well, no,” Gus admitted. “The instructor explained how to do it, and it seemed so simple. I thought I could do it. I’ve only had two lessons behind the wheel in Driver’s Ed.”

“Which means that you’ve been behind the wheel for what … twenty minutes?”

Gus nodded. “I guess I thought I was better than I am.”

“You did okay, Gus. Nothing is broken or destroyed, well, except John’s pylons,” Brian said with a chuckle. “You just need to slow down a bit. You have lots of time to get your license, and you want to be ready when you try the test. You’re not going to be ready after two lessons.”

“Yeah,” Gus admitted. “I thought I knew everything.”

“I thought you did too, from the way you were talking,” Brian said throwing his arm over Gus’ shoulders. “Let’s get some lunch, and then maybe we can take a ride down the lane together. I’ll give you some tips.”

“Okay, Pop,” Gus said. “Thanks.”

Brian felt so much better now. He could teach Gus some things, and make sure the boy understood he was driving a powerful tool that could become a weapon of destruction, if he didn’t know what he was doing. He wanted Gus to be safe when he was driving, to say nothing of the other people on the road with him.

“I think we’ll concentrate on going straight and staying on your side of the road for now,” Brian said.

Gus nodded and looked at Bree and Patrick who had been true to their word, and not said a word about Gus’ driving before. “Guess you guys will have to wait a while before I can take you somewhere,” Gus said to them.

“That’s okay, Gus,” Patrick replied, relieved not to have to ride with his cousin, at least not yet.

“Yeah, you practice some more,” Bree told him.

“She who must be obeyed,” Brian laughed as they went inside to get some lunch.



*****



After lunch the driving lessons went a little better. Brian, at Gus’ request, sat in the passenger seat and remained surprisingly calm throughout the afternoon. Brian spoke little but gently guided Gus through his paces. John reset the large orange cones. Gus taking his time and with some cues from his father, managed to negotiate them. Nary a pylon made the ultimate sacrifice to a teen driving student.

“Pop, can we practice again after dinner? I just want to see what it feels like to drive at night,” Gus asked Brian hopefully. Brian contemplated Gus’ request then offered Gus a compromise.

“Just up and down the lane then we quit for the night. There is such a thing as overdoing it. You get a good night’s sleep then you can practice more tomorrow before I take you home.”

Gus readily agreed and was amazed at Brian’s calm demeanor.

“Okay, Pop! That sounds great.”



*****



“Gus, are you ready for your night ride?” Brian asked as he knocked on Gus’ door. The sun had set about an hour prior. Brian figured they’d drive down toward Emmett’s then back again, and then call it quits for the night. Justin was actually taking a break from his computer to cook dinner.

“Gus, you okay?” Brian knocked again. All he heard were a couple of quiet sobs. “Sonny Boy, can I come in?” Brian asked softly, gingerly trying the door knob.

“Yeah, Dad,” Gus softly replied.

“What is it, Sonny Boy? Your driving wasn’t that bad.” Brian didn’t understand what had brought on the tears.

“That’s not it.” Gus was sitting on the floor, fumbling with his cell phone. Brian sat down next to him.

“Then what?” Gus keyed in his voice mail, and the drunken message from Cole played. Brian got the gist of the message. “Did you love him?” Brian asked gently, reining in his anger against the boy who had tried to lead his son astray.

Gus shrugged. “Not sure, Dad. I thought I did. I thought I could drive. I thought Cole really liked me. Now I don’t know what to think.”

“Gus, on some level I think Cole liked you, but his greed outweighed any real feelings he may have had. He’s tried this scam before on other kids. I know it hurts but you were lucky. It could have been a lot worse.”

Gus nodded, it could have been worse. He could have given up his virginity to someone who really didn’t love him.

“Gus, let me tell you a secret that not many people know. My first time was with someone who just wanted my tight little virgin ass. It was okay, I wasn’t hurt, but love had nothing to do with it. When I got older and met a very special virgin ass I tried to be gentle; showed him what fucking is all about. That the pain is a part of it and that when it’s right, the pain turns to pleasure. It’s okay to cry. It’s okay to be angry and it’s okay to want to wait until you meet someone really special who’ll take their time to minimize the pain and maximize the pleasure.

“You’ll learn, Sonny Boy. You’ll learn when to love. You’ll learn when it’s right to give up your virginity and you will learn to drive.”

Brian hugged Gus closely until the last of the tears dribbled down his face. Gus gulped a few times then wiped his face on his sleeve. He took a few deep breaths and steadied himself.

“You ready for that drive down the lane?”

“Yeah, Pop, I’m ready now.”

The Kinney men stood up, ready to face their next challenge.



*****



“Dr. Raph, do you think the judge will let you adopt me?” Curtis asked Raphael.

Raph, Hector and Curtis had just finished dinner and they were putting away the leftovers and washing the dishes.

“Melanie says we have a good chance if Judge Schultz hears our case. I just hope she gets back in time.”

“Me too,” Curtis said as he handed Raph a dirty glass.

“Me three,” Hector said as he dished up three bowls of ice cream for their dessert.


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 7






“Curtis,” Dr. Raph called from the car. “Over here.”

Curtis ran across the school parking lot and climbed into the car with Raph and Hector.

“Are you ready for this?” Hector asked. He seemed a little breathless.

“I think so,” Curtis replied. “Did you hear if Judge Schultz got back?”

Raph shook his head. “She wasn’t back when I talked to Melanie a little while ago. There’s fog in New York and her plane has been delayed.”

“That … that’s not good, is it?” Curtis asked, the first inkling of fear rising from the pit of his stomach.

“Melanie is still hopeful that Judge Schultz will get here,” Hector explained. “We better get going, Raph. We can’t be late whoever the judge is.”

They drove in silence to the courthouse. They found Melanie waiting for them out front. She led them inside and up to a waiting area. Hunter and Karen were already there. Carefully Melanie went over exactly what was going to happen, even though she had explained it all to them before.

As the clock approached two, the time of their scheduled hearing, the tension rose.

“Shouldn’t we know by now if Judge Schultz is going to make it?” Raph asked.

Melanie shook her head. “If she was here, she would have called,” Melanie sighed. “It looks like we’re going to get a substitute judge.”

“Ms. Marcus,” a man said sticking his head out of a nearby door. “Judge Sanders is ready to begin.”

Melanie groaned and then nodded to the man. “Let’s go,” she said as they all stood. Her face did not look happy.

Raph grabbed her arm and turned her to face him. “What is it?”

“I … Let’s just say that Judge Phillip Sanders would not be my first choice to hear this case.”

“Shit!” Raph reacted, and then they entered the hearing room.

They all took their seats and the court recorder read the petition for adoption. They all watched the judge’s face which puckered slightly when it became obvious that it was two men who were petitioning to adopt the boy.

“I’ll hear from you now, Ms. Marcus,” Judge Sanders said, his voice level and cold.

His face looked cold too, Curtis thought. It didn’t have any compassion. He realized it reminded him of someone else’s face, and then suddenly he knew. It reminded him of the faces of the Hardigans. They were always so proper and calm and collected, but that was because there was no feeling inside them. No emotion ever registered on their faces, unless it was when they were angry and about to strike. Curtis shivered. He felt Raph reach over and take his hand to give it a little squeeze.

Melanie finished explaining Curtis’ situation and the changes he had made in his life since going to live with Raph and Hector. She made it sound really good.

“I’ll hear from the social worker next,” the judge said.

Karen had been designated the one to speak. She went up to sit in the chair next to the judge’s desk. She told the man how Curtis had come to the Jason Kemp Center, mentioning Hunter’s part in turning the boy’s life around. She talked about how Curtis had run away from the abusive foster home run by the Hardigans. She managed to work in the fact that they were currently under prosecution for several charges. The judge listened to it all, but didn’t seem very impressed.

Karen talked about the cat that Curtis had tried to help by taking it to the vet clinic. She made it clear that Curtis had robbed people to pay for the cat’s medical bills and to keep himself alive.

“So, the animal was more important to this boy than human life, and obviously much more important that other people’s belongings,” the judge observed.

Karen tried to correct that impression. She explained how Curtis had paid back all the people he had robbed, but the judge did not seem to be listening. Curtis had the feeling he had already made up his mind, and it wouldn’t be in Curtis’ favor.

“I’ll hear from Dr. Raphael Angles next,” the judge said.

Raph stood and took his place next to the judge. He had been chosen to speak for himself and Hector.

“Why do you wish to adopt this young lad?” the judge asked him cutting right to the chase.

“My partner and I have come to love Curtis. We wish him to be our son,” Raph said smiling out at Curtis.

Curtis felt his heart swell. Dr. Raph was telling the whole world that he wanted Curtis as his son. Curtis felt so proud. The judge had to let him be Dr. Raph and Hector’s son. He just had to.

“You and your partner are homosexual?” the judge asked. There was nothing in the judge’s voice to show the disapproval that Raph felt radiating off the man.

“Yes,” Raph replied firmly. “We are, but we have a happy, stable home, and we would like to have Curtis join us permanently.”

“I have to say, Dr. Angles, that the idea of two homosexual men adopting a boy of Curtis’ age makes one wonder.”

“Makes one wonder or makes you wonder?” Raph asked pointedly.

“Caution, Dr. Angles, or I will hold you in contempt,” the judge said imperiously.

Raph shook his head, but didn’t say anything else.

“Judge Sanders,” Melanie piped in. “Dr. Angles and his partner have had Curtis living with them for months now. They are all happy about that, and the arrangement seems to be working well for all of them. The home visits reflect that. I don’t see any reason for your objection.”

Judge Sanders raised an eyebrow and looked like he wanted to tell the lawyer off. Instead he took a deep breath and stated, “I will be the judge of what is happening and also what will happen.”

Melanie realized she had effectively been silenced and put in her place in one fell swoop. She sat down before she said something that would really screw their case.

“I think I’ve heard enough, Dr. Angles,” Judge Sanders said. “You may leave the stand.”

“But…” Raph started.

“Stand down, Doctor.”

Raph bowed his head and then looked pleadingly at Melanie. She shrugged, saying there was nothing she could do. Raph returned to his seat beside Curtis.

“Curtis Samuels, I’ll hear from you now.”

Curtis stood and felt his knees grow weak. This could be his worst nightmare. It looked like the judge didn’t want him to be with Raph and Hector. He was going to be put back in foster care, back with the Hardigans. He shuddered and wavered where he stood. Then he felt Raph’s arm around his shoulder and then he heard Raph’s voice whispering in his ear, “Do your best, son. We’ll deal with whatever happens later. We’re not going to let anything happen to you, Curtis.”

Curtis smiled at Raph and stood up straighter. He walked to the chair beside the judge’s desk. After he was sworn in, he sat down in the chair and turned to the judge.

“Curtis,” the judge began. “Do you like living with Dr. Angles and his partner?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Is the home comfortable? Do you have your own room?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Do the doctor and his partner ever touch you inappropriately?”

“Objection!” Melanie practically yelled.

“This isn’t a court in the usual sense, Ms. Marcus. I want an answer to that question,” the judge said looking at Curtis.

“I … I don’t know what you mean,” Curtis stammered.

“I mean do they touch you in your private parts or in ways that other people never touch you?”

Curtis looked at the judge. He felt anger rise in his throat. He wanted to scream at this horrible man. He wished he had his rusty knife and could cut the man’s throat. He looked pleadingly at Melanie who smiled sympathetically, but shrugged saying that she could do nothing. Then Curtis looked at Raph and Hector. Their faces were as shocked and hurt as he was sure his was. He knew he had to say something, something that would make a difference.

“Your honor,” Curtis began clearing his throat. “I understand what you’re asking me now.”

“Then please answer the question,” the judge said coldly.

“Dr. Raph and Hector do touch me in ways that the Hardigans never did, and in ways that no one’s touched me for years.”

There were audible gasps in the hearing room. Everyone looked at Raph and Hector and then back at Curtis. Raph shook his head and looked at Curtis with hurt in his eyes.

“Just as I suspected,” the judge said with a smug look on his face.

“Your honor, may I explain?” Curtis asked.

“I don’t think that will be necessary, young man. I don’t want to have to put you through describing what these men have done to you,” the judge said in what he thought was his best comforting voice, which wasn’t comforting at all.

“Oh, but I want to explain,” Curtis said quickly. “I think you misunderstood.”

“Very well,” the judge said with a frown. “Explain.”

“Before I came to Dr. Raph’s nobody touched me.” Curtis let those words sink in before he continued. “The Hardigans would never touch any of us kids, at least not in a kind or caring way. Sometimes they did touch us though, and it hurt. But they were very careful never to leave a bruise, you see. They had no interest in how we were doing or what we were feeling. They didn’t care about us at all. I got so I didn’t care what anybody else thought or felt either. I think that’s why I started robbing people at knifepoint. I didn’t understand that they would be scared or upset. I guess I just didn’t care at all.” Curtis paused again. “And then I went to work at the vet clinic so I could earn money to pay off what I had stolen. And I did pay it off, every bit of it,” he said, defiantly looking right at the judge.

“Okay, I understand your point. Are you finished?”

“No, I’m not.” Curtis sat up straight in his chair. “It took a long time for me to trust Raph and Hector, but I do … now. They care about me. They would be sad, if I froze to death on the street, which I almost did once. Nobody would have cared back then. The Hardigans didn’t even report that I was gone. That way they could keep getting the money that was sent to support me.

“I trust Raph and Hector to look out for me and take care of me. I trust them to hug me when I need it. That’s how they touch me, Your Honor. They are so kind and understanding. I trust them to have faith in me when I make mistakes or screw up. I trust them with my life. And if you don’t let them adopt me then I have no life. I might as well be dead.”

“Young man, Curtis,” the judge said visibly shaken by Curtis’ words.

“You see, Judge,” Curtis continued ignoring the judge’s interruption. “Raph and Hector are the first people to hug me and touch me and love me, like my grandpa did. They do touch me, but not in the way you were implying. We love each other and we belong together, whether you choose to let us or not.”

There was a long silence in the courtroom when Curtis finished his speech.

“You may step down,” the judge finally said after a long pause.

As Curtis walked back to his seat, Melanie noticed Judge Schultz slide into the back of the court. She wondered how much the judge had heard, and she couldn’t help but wish that it was her making the decision on Curtis’ future and not Judge Sanders.

“I’ve made my decision,” Judge Sanders said all of a sudden, snapping everybody out of their thoughts. Raph and Hector each had hold of one of Curtis’ hands. “Please stand,” Judge Sanders said.

“Having weighed all the facts carefully,” the judge began. Melanie felt her heart sink. “But also having heard Curtis’ impassioned plea.” The judge looked into Curtis’ eyes. “And I have to say that I have rarely heard a young person defend himself so eloquently before. Perhaps you should consider a vocation in the law, young man.” The judge actually winked at Curtis at that point. “I find that the petition of adoption should be granted. You are officially adopted, Curtis Samuels. I hope you have a very happy life. Court is adjourned.”

Everyone was on their feet hugging and smiling. Even Judge Schultz joined them, clearly pleased with the outcome.

“When did you get here?” Melanie asked her.

“Just as Curtis took the stand. I heard everything he said from outside, and then I just had to come in. If my esteemed colleague had not granted the petition, I would have personally throttled him myself.”

“Thank goodness, that won’t be necessary,” Melanie laughed. “I’d have taken you on as a client though … pro bono.”

Judge Schultz smiled and chuckled. “Congratulations to you all,” she said to the newly formed official family.

“Let’s go to dinner and celebrate,” Hector said enthusiastically. “Can you join us, Judge?”

“I’m afraid I have some catching up to do, but thanks for thinking of me. Enjoy your dinner. Congratulations to the new family.” She smiled warmly at them.

“Dinner’s on me,” Raph said happily. “Let’s go, and later we’ll take our official son home to our happy homo house.”

Everyone laughed.

“Shit! We have some papers to sign,” Melanie laughed. “I almost forgot.”

“Let’s make this official. I don’t want to go through anything like this again,” Raph said.

“You won’t have to after today, Dad,” Curtis said with a big smile.

They all knew that smile made all the worry worthwhile.



*****



“Justin, do you think Mr. Bloom will let you show the film at the opening of your new show?” Troi` asked.

“I’m not sure. He has everything so organized that I can’t even go to the men’s room unless it’s on the agenda,” Justin said with an exaggerated put upon sigh. “The main opening is Friday the 22nd. He’s starting off with Winter. Then every other night he’ll feature another season. He’s got the paintings on these slowly revolving easels. It made me dizzy just watching them all go round.” Justin rolled his eyes several times to prove his point, making the twins giggle.

“I was hoping to show the film on the last night as an added feature but Sidney isn’t going for it.”

“So the last night is Friday the 29th?” Tre` asked.

“No, Saturday. This is the agenda. It starts off with Winter on Friday and of course, the launching of the whole concept of the show. The critics and the gallery’s most important supporters and patrons are all invited. Winter will revolve on Friday and Saturday. The other paintings are all covered up so you can only see the season Sidney wants you to see. On Sunday, Spring is revealed and they start spinning until Tuesday, then comes Summer, with Fall starting on Thursday. He’s planning a bigger bash on Saturday the 30th with all four seasons on display. That’s when I hoped I could show our film.

“And guys, I have to be there for the whole week. If I don’t show, Sidney will have my ass in a sling and not in a positive life affirming way,” Justin said and the twins howled with laughter.

“The video will be ready by the 30th,” Tre` assured their mentor. “Troi` and I are doing the final editing now. We were planning on using this for our mid-term project.”

“Mid-term project?! Wow, if this is your mid-term, what are you planning for your final?” Justin was truly impressed by the brothers. “I wish I could convince Sidney to give our film a chance. I know the critics will love it.”

Justin and his art partners were sitting in the computer lab wearing the longest, saddest faces known to man. And that’s where Brian found them.

Earlier that morning Brian had driven Justin and Gus into Pittsburgh. Gus had practised driving all day Sunday, as well as finishing his homework assignments. Since Gus’ little emotional breakdown Saturday evening, Brian decided to have Gus stay the whole weekend. And after a quick call to the moms with an explanation, they were in agreement.

With the assistance of campus security, Brian found, then entered the computer lab.

“Hey, Sunshine, boys, why the long faces?” Brian scanned the faces of the three beautiful young men. “No one this hot should be looking like you’ve just lost your best friend. What’s up?” Brian pulled up a chair and sat.

“Sidney’s being an ass,” Justin griped.

“Seems to be a popular theme lately. What did the poor man do now?”

“He won’t let us show our film,” Justin pouted.

Brian hid his laughter behind a cough. “Won’t let you show your film,” Brian restated. Twin raven heads and one blond one nodded together. “This is a grievous offense. May I see your film?” Three pretty heads perked up. Tre` started the dvd and they flanked Brian as he watched.

The opening scene was a panoramic view of Brian’s precious gardens. Unbeknownst to Brian, throughout the year, Gus and Justin had been taking videos and photographs of the garden in each phase of bloom. The only sounds were the chirping of birds, the buzzing of bees and the gurgling of water rushing down the stream. And much to Brian’s chagrin, an occasional frog was heard happily croaking in the background.

As the camera zoomed in on a butterfly, the music of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Flight of the Bumblebee” and Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," accompanied the flight. They all watched as the butterfly landed on a sunflower. Brian gasped as the sunflower slowly transformed into an obvious Justin Taylor painting of a sunflower, then the painting morphed into a fractal image of the same flower. Then slowly the image transformed back into its original form. The film was less than thirty minutes long but the images were beautiful, calming and strangely compelling. As the butterfly followed its seemingly random flight path, so did the camera. With each new landing, a new painting was created as well as its fractal representation. Along with the original art and computer art, the trio had composed computerized music which was interspersed in between the classical music.

Brian’s eyes were transfixed to the screen. “Justin, has Sidney seen this?”

“No, he won’t even consider it, not now anyway.”

“What about Lindz?”

“I tried. She wants to help but Sidney’s adamant. Bri, what are we going to do? We’ve worked so hard on this project. The guys here will get credit for it. It’s their mid-term project, but this is also an important piece of work. It deserves to be seen in public.”

“You’re right, it does,” Brian confirmed then he closed his eyes to think.

The twins were about to speak when Justin held up his hand to silence them. He recognized the signs of the master at work.

“Sunshine, is our fairy godmother doing the catering for this event?”

“Yes, he is. Sidney won’t have any other event planner do any of his events.”

“Then leave it to me. Now are you boys hungry?” Brian asked with a gleam in his eyes. Three lovely heads bobbed up and down. “If this was only an alternate universe,” Brian murmured to himself as he appreciated the three beautiful men. Brian sighed. “Then allow me to take you boys to dinner.” Brian was treated to three very sunny smiles.

As the artful threesome packed up for the night, Brian made a call to their fairy godmother.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 8






“Dada,” Bree said, as she pulled the pot of mums over to her father where he was making a hole for it in the garden.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Where’s Daddy?”

“He’s in Pittsburgh putting the finishing touches on his project.” Justin had left for Pittsburgh again that morning and wouldn’t be back until later that night. He said that he and the twins were getting close to being finished with the fractal project. Brian wished.

“I like it better when he’s here,” Bree said. Even though she had been enjoying doing gar-gar with her Dada after school, she still liked having both her fathers around.

“Me too, Squirt.”

“I want him to be finished now,” Bree declared.

“I wouldn’t mind that myself.”

Brian stuck the plant into the ground and tamped the soil down around it. He stood up and surveyed his handiwork. The new row of mums looked great, he thought. He liked the colorful kale that he had used strategically through the garden as well. The autumn colors were brilliant.

“So, what d’ya think, Squirt? Did we do a good job?”

“Pretty, Dada,” Bree said giving her father a big smile of approval.

Brian always felt his heart jump when his daughter smiled like that. It reminded him so much of his lover, his husband, his friend, his missing mate. Brian gave himself a shake. “Let’s water these puppies and then we can go get cleaned up for dinner.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree agreed. “Hungry.”

“Yeah, I think I could eat too. We’ll go see what Uncle Bobby is making for dinner right after we water the new plants.”

“Yum,” Bree said with a giggle. She liked Uncle Bobby’s cooking, almost as much as her Daddy’s. Then she frowned. “Dada, are you going to get Gus a car for his birthday?”

“What?” Brian asked in surprise. The hose he had been directing into the newly planted mums shot up as he turned. He doused one of the windows of the sun porch. “Shit!”

Bree giggled. “Gus told me he hoped you were going to get him a car for his birthday.”

Brian opened his eyes wide. He had remembered that Gus’ birthday was coming … soon, but it would be there sooner than he had thought, in a little over a week. “A car?” Brian repeated. “He can’t even fucking drive yet.”

Bree giggled again. “What can I get Gus for his birthday?” Bree asked. “I don’t think I can get him a car,” she added seriously.

“No, Squirt, I don’t think a car’s in the cards for Gus right now.” He finished his watering and turned off the hose, cranking it back onto its reel.

“What can I give him then?” Bree asked again. “He really wants a car.”

“Maybe we can come up with something,” Brian said thoughtfully. “In the meantime, why don’t you make him one of your fabulous cards?”

Bree smiled. She liked that idea. “’Kay, Dada.”

“Let’s go get some dinner.”

Bree slid her hand into her father’s and they headed inside to clean up for dinner.



*****



Curtis and his new fathers were cleaning up from their first homemade dinner as a legal and official family. They had enjoyed their celebratory dinner at Pappagano’s after the petition for adoption had been approved the day before, but there was something very peaceful and warm about having dinner in their own home … together. Curtis was enjoying going around calling Raph and Hector “dad” at every opportunity. Everything was very rosy in the Angles/Sanchez/Samuels household.

Raph had never been happier and he had been thinking all day about how he might share that happiness with others. “I’ve been thinking,” Raph began.

“Ooh, Dad,” Curtis joked, “you’ll give yourself a headache.”

“Smart ass!” Raph laughed. “I was thinking of doing something nice for you, but maybe I better rethink my plan.”

“Something nice for me?” Curtis asked, no longer the smart aleck.

“That’s what I said,” Raph smiled.

“But adopting me was enough. Really!” Curtis said.

“That was something nice for all of us, and I think we should do something more to celebrate.”

“Like what?”

“A ‘Welcome to the Family Adoption Party’!” Raph said proudly.

“A party?” Hector asked in surprise. They had always kept pretty much to themselves. They had only a few close friends. “Who would you invite?”

“I thought we’d let Curtis make that decision. And of course, we’d ask Melanie and her partner, and Hunter and Karen,” Raph explained.

“Could … could I invite Gus and JR?” Curtis asked unsure about having a party. He’d never done this before.

“You can invite anyone you want,” Raph told him.

“And maybe Briana,” Curtis added.

“Isn’t she a little young for your party?” Hector asked.

“Yeah, she is, but she’s pretty mature for her age. And … she invited me to the first big party I’d ever been too. I’d like to repay her.”

“That’s … lovely, Curtis,” Hector said giving his son a hug.

“Thanks, but…”

“But what, Curtis?” Hector asked.

“Can we not have a party like the one Ms. Marcus had at her house? It was kinda … awful.”

“We’ll have whatever kind of party you want, Curtis. Pizza and sodas or shrimp and caviar,” Raph laughed. “It’s your call.”

“Definitely not shrimp and caviar. Yuck!” Curtis said.

Hector laughed. “How about a week Saturday for this party?” he asked. “I think that will give us enough time to notify everybody and arrange things.”

“Sounds good,” Raph agreed. “I’ll call Melanie. She can tell her whole family about the party.”

“I’ll contact Hunter. He can let Karen know,” Hector volunteered.

“I’ll call Bree’s parents,” Curtis offered.

The two men took out their cell phones and Curtis picked up the land line in the house.



*****



“I’m sorry, Curtis, but that’s the last night of the opening of Justin’s art show. We have to be at the gallery most of the day, and then we were going to have a little party of our own afterwards…but congratulations to you all. Be sure to tell Raph and Hector that.”

Brian hung up the phone as Justin walked into the sun porch. “Hey,” he grinned at his husband.

“Hey, yourself. Long time no see.”

“It hasn’t been that long, has it?” Justin asked screwing up his face.

“Seems like forever,” Brian replied pulling Justin into a warm hug.

“Forgive me?”

“If you make it worth my while.”

“Oh, I’d be happy to, right after you feed me.”

“You didn’t eat?” Brian asked. “You need to take care of yourself.”

“I will when you make me some of your delicious scrambled eggs … or something.”

“They do have restaurants in Pittsburgh, you know. I have that on good authority.”

“From a lady with a red wig and a loud mouth?” Justin laughed.

Brian nodded, as he pulled Justin into the kitchen and started beating some eggs. “Are you done?” Brian asked referring to the infamous project.

“Almost,” Justin said sheepishly.

Brian groaned. “How many times have I heard that lately?”

“We just want it to be perfect.”

“It seemed pretty perfect to me when I saw it last night.”

“There’s still some fine tuning we want to do,” Justin insisted. “Um … is Bree asleep?”

“Probably, she went to bed a while ago.”

“I’m going to kiss her good night.”

“Your eggs will be ready when you return, sire,” Brian joked as he dumped the bowl of eggs into the frying pan and put two slices of bread in the toaster.

Justin giggled and headed down the hall. When he returned Brian had his dinner set out at the kitchen table. He sat down and dug in.

“I was hungry,” Justin said after he had eaten several forkfuls.

“No kidding,” Brian snorted.

“Who were you on the phone with when I came in?”

“Curtis Samuels.”

“Curt…Curtis? The kid who mugged you?” Justin asked in disbelief.

“You would remind me,” Brian replied making a face at the memory. “Not one of my finer moments.”

“What did he want?”

“He’s been adopted by Raph and Hector. They had the hearing yesterday,” Brian informed him as he poured coffee for them both.

“That’s good. I’m happy for them,” Justin said finishing his eggs. “But why is he calling you?”

“They want to have a party to celebrate.”

“And he’s inviting you?” Justin asked in surprise.

“Well, I did forego charges against him. He’s a good kid. Gus likes him.”

“And he’s inviting you?” Justin repeated.

“Am I that unlikable?” Brian asked sarcastically.

“No, of course not, but why is he inviting you?”

Brian sighed. “He was inviting all of us, but especially Bree, since she invited him to her birthday party.”

“Oh, right, when is this party?”

“A week Saturday.”

“But that’s…”

“I told him we couldn’t attend.”

“That’s too bad.”

“Yeah, I was thinking we could include Gus’ birthday as part of our party for you,” Brian said looking up at Justin from under his eyelashes. “If that’s all right with you?” He sipped his coffee while he waited for Justin’s reaction.

“That’s a great idea,” Justin said with a smile. “Then it won’t all be about me.”

“I have news for you; it will be all about your new project when people see it.”

“You think so?” Justin asked, his smile beaming throughout the kitchen.

“I know so.”

“What are we going to get for Gus for his birthday?” Justin asked. He doctored the cup of coffee Brian had poured for him.

“Bree informed me this afternoon that Gus told her he wants a car.”

“A car? A fucking car?”

“But Bree didn’t think she could swing that.”

Justin spewed his coffee and almost choked. When he recovered, he looked at Brian. “You…You’re not thinking of getting him one, are you?”

Brian shook his head. “I don’t think he’s ready. He doesn’t even have a fucking license yet. Maybe next year.”

Justin breathed a sigh of relief. “So, what can we get him?”

“I was hoping you could think of something good.”



*****



“Hunter can’t come on Saturday,” Hector said as he came back into the kitchen, snapping his cell phone shut. “And Karen’s on duty at the clinic that day.”

Raph came in from the living room, carrying his cell phone. “Melanie is going to a closing of an art show at Lindsay’s gallery. They won’t be able to come.”

“It’s Justin Taylor’s art show,” Curtis informed them sadly. “So Mr. Kinney and Bree and Mr. Taylor won’t be able to come.” Curtis sighed. He had liked the idea of having a party.

“Then Gus probably won’t be available to either,” Raph said. “We’ll just have to try for another day.”

“How about the next Saturday?” Hector asked.

“We have to attend that conference we signed up for,” Raph reminded him.

“The next week?”

“I’ll be into midterms,” Curtis sighed.

“We’ll figure something out,” Raph said gently. The phone rang at that moment. Raph picked it up. “Hello?”

“Dr. Raph, I presume,” a familiar voice said.

Raph smiled. “Brian Kinney, nice to hear from you. I understand you can’t come to our party. I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Congratulations to all of you. I think Curtis has found a good home.”

“Well, as long as we have your approval, I’m happy,” Raph laughed.

“Actually, it’s about the party that I’m calling.”

“Oh? Will you be able to make it after all?”

“No, I … I was hoping you hadn’t made too many plans because I have a proposal for you.”

“A proposal?” Raph frowned.

“I’m having a get-together at Emmett’s Place Too that night … for the closing night of the opening of Justin’s new art show. Don’t ask!” Brian laughed before Raph could say anything.

“Okay,” Raph said. “But I don’t understand.”

“Justin and I were just talking, and we’re going to make Gus’ birthday celebration that night too. He’ll be seventeen. Gus would want Curtis there. And well, we thought maybe you could combine your celebration of your new son as part of it too.”

“Really? But we wouldn’t want to intrude.”

“You wouldn’t be intruding. Most of the people who were trapped here at the cottage at Christmas will be there, so you’ll know people. And the kids, JR, Bree and Gus will all be at the party. I hated having to turn Curtis down earlier, but we have most of this already arranged. I’d really like you to come and be part of it with us. We would like to celebrate Curtis’ new life too.”

“Let me talk to Curtis and Hector. I’ll get back to you.”

“Please do,” Brian said as he hung up.

Justin squeezed Brian’s hand. “You’re a good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Thanks to you, Mr. Taylor.”


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 9






“Morning, Dads,” Curtis said with a laugh as he entered the kitchen. He was learning to enjoy the sound of that word “Dad” and all it implied.

“Sit down, my son,” Hector grinned. “Your breakfast is ready.”

They all dug into their food and ate in silence for a bit.

“Curtis, have you thought about Brian Kinney’s proposal for the party? It’s really up to you whether we take him up on the offer or not,” Raph explained.

Curtis frowned and looked at his new father. “It’s fine,” he said. “We can have the party with them. Everybody I would have invited to my party will be there anyway.”

“I get the feeling that this idea is not quite as all right as you would like us to believe,” Raph observed.

“It’s fine … really,” Curtis repeated.

“Curtis, I’m new at this parenting thing, but being a little closer to your age than Raph is, I think I detect a bit of the teenage ‘you’re going to do it your way, so I might as well say it’s okay’ blues. Am I right?” Hector asked.

“Tell us what’s wrong. We don’t have to have the party with the Kinney-Taylor’s,” Raph repeated.

“It’s, well, it’s Gus’ birthday. It’s his night, and Mr. Taylor’s.”

“And yours,” Hector added squeezing Curtis’ hand.

“I … I kinda really wanted my own party,” Curtis admitted.

“Then we’ll have one,” Raph said.

“But it was awfully nice of Mr. Kinney to offer for us to join them, especially after what I did to him,” Curtis said shoving his cereal around in the bowl and not eating any of it.

“So what are you telling us?” Raph asked. “I’m not getting a clear message.”

“I’m saying we should accept Mr. Kinney’s offer,” Curtis said. “Yeah, that’s what I’m saying.”

“Then I’ll call him today and let him know,” Raph said.

“Good,” Curtis agreed, still shoving his cereal around the bowl.

“Are you going to eat that or beat it to death?” Hector asked after a minute.

“I think Curtis would still like a party of his own,” Raph said as he observed Curtis’ actions.

“Huh?” Curtis said looking up at Raph.

“I’m right, aren’t I?”

“Well, yeah, kinda…”

“What if we go to the party with the Kinney-Taylor’s and then after midterms are over you have a kids’ party with Gus and JR and anybody else you’d like to have? You can invite them over here … to your new home.”

“You mean it?” Curtis asked his face brightening with a big smile.

“I absolutely do,” Raph grinned back.

“Okay with you, Dad?” Curtis asked Hector. Hector nodded in agreement. “My two dads are the best,” Curtis stated. He dug into his cereal suddenly finding his appetite. The two men smiled at each other across the table.



*****



“Hi Justin!” the twins greeted their partner in art. Troi` and Tre` had completed the editing of their film, including the credits. And since Gus had participated with his photos and videos, the boys thought it only fitting that he receive his share of the credit as well.

“Gus will be thrilled. Who knows, maybe he’ll want to apply here. He’s been taking pictures for a long time and interning at Kinnetik. He may have found his career,” Justin said as he watched the credits roll.

“I can’t believe we’re really finished,” Tre` commented with some disappointment in his voice.

“I wish we could work together forever,” Troi` sighed. The twins were going to miss working with Justin and they had a severe case of idol worship going on. Justin was oblivious but shared their feelings of loss. Justin always felt a little let down at the conclusion of his projects.

“Guys, I have a feeling we’ll be working together on another project,” Justin said as he checked his watch, noting it was time for lunch. “When’s your next class?”

“Not until three,” Troi` responded.

“Why don’t I take you two to lunch at the diner,” Justin suggested and the twins agreed. Comfort food was just what the doctor ordered. “We have much to celebrate and you’ll be there at my show, won’t you?” Justin turned his innocent flirty blue eyes at the twin. No one could ever say no to that look.

“We’ll be there,” the twins confirmed as Justin shepherded 'his boys’ out the door.



*****



“Sweetheart!” Debbie gushed as Justin, followed by his twins, walked into the diner. “And with bookends, I see!” Debbie gave Justin a warning glare.

“Deb, this is Troi` and Tre`. They’re art students at PIFA and we’ve just finished a very important project and we’re hungry,” Justin explained hoping to tap into Debbie’s maternal instincts and not the instincts that would trigger a lecture on fidelity and monogamy toward one’s life partner.

“Well, that starving artist shit is so overrated. Take a booth, boys, we’ll be with you in a minute,” Debbie said pleasantly, lecture avoided … for now. Lacy was working the lunch shift so she came to their table.

“Hi Justin!” Lacy greeted her mentor cheerfully.

“Lacy, how are you? How’s it going with Rage?” Meaning, was Michael giving her a difficult time.

“It’s all going great. The tips you’ve given me have helped so much. I love the work I’m doing,” Lacy said with enthusiasm. “Don’t I know you guys?” Lacy asked the twins. “I’ve seen you on campus, haven’t I?”

“Yes,” the twins answered as one. “But we mostly stick to the computer lab.”

“That’s right! I’ve seen some of your stuff at the student art shows. It’s so cool.”

“Thank you,” Troi` replied.

“We love your Sateeena,” Tre` said.

“You know?” Lacy still couldn’t believe how well her drawings were received by the community.

“We do. Have you ever considered turning Rage into a cartoon?” Troi` asked both Lacy and Justin.

“Michael and I thought about it when we were working on the movie but at the time we had to table it. We just wanted to get the movie made. We had enough trouble with Brett Keller,” Justin explained.

“Justin, do you think we could do it ourselves? I mean just us; you, me, Michael and the guys. They can animate anything and I wouldn’t do it without you. And you know Michael would have to have his say in it,” Lacy asked hopefully. The twins’ faces lit up.

Justin considered it for all of two seconds, then looked around the busy diner. He leaned in closer to whisper. “Lacy, when do you get off?”

“I don’t have classes today so I’m doing a double. I get off at seven.”

“Guys, when do you get out of school tonight?”

“Around five,” the twins answered.

“Michael closes up around six,” Justin murmured then took out his phone to call Michael. After a quick and quiet conversation, Justin snapped his phone shut. “Okay, we meet here around six. We order some takeout then go back to the loft for a meeting. I think we’ve found our next project,” Justin said with a smug smile as he leaned back against the seat. The twins giggled with delight as Lacy beamed.

They ordered their lunch as the Liberty Diner patrons gossiped about the beautiful former King of Babylon holding court with his lovely raven haired subjects.



*****



“So, do you think you can do it?” Brian asked Pittsburgh’s premiere event planner. Brian was at the bistro confirming his scheme with Emmett.

“Decorating the buffet table to reflect the seasons is easy but all that electronic equipment is way too complicated to me,” Emmett said with a frown. But Emmett would do anything for Brian, especially since his request was for Justin.

“What about Sean?”

“He’s a pastry chef not a computer geek,” Emmett sighed. Brian gave no thought to Emmett’s drag queen waiters. Besides, it wouldn’t do for any one of them to break a nail.

“Who do we know that’s computer savvy and Sidney wouldn’t give two shits about seeing helping you out,” Brian muttered to himself then broke out into a mischievous grin. “What about Gus?”

“Gus? Your son, Gus.”

“What the fuck other Gus do you know? Of course, my son, Gus,” Brian griped.

“Just checking. What about him?” Emmett asked for clarification as Brian glared. Brian thought it was all quite clear.

“It’s well known that Gus has been working odd jobs here and there, earning money to buy his first car.”

“How do you feel about that, Dad?” Emmett snarked.

“Emm, I don’t mind telling you, it’s scaring the shit out of me. But this is not about me; it’s about Justin and his little twins. Gus is a wonder with computers and other electronics. He’ll be just another one of your minions setting up the buffet table. But while you and Sean handle the gourmet part of the buffet, Gus will handle the electronic display. You often have a centerpiece or central feature on your table. This time it will be a discreetly hidden flat screen monitor with the computer out of the way hidden somewhere. We can run the program just as Sidney starts flapping his gums with his blah, blah speech and his invitation to all to help themselves to your impeccable delectables. I’m hoping that the curiosity factor will kick in and someone will demand an explanation. That’s when our little Mary Sunshine will do his thing. One of the twins or Gus can start the program from the beginning with the sound. Voila! A staah is born.”

Emmett stared back at his friend in awe. “How do you come up with all of these plans?” Emmett asked, not only referring to the current plan but all the plans and schemes Brian had had a hand in over the years.

“It’s a gift,” was all Brian could say with a shrug of his shoulders. “So you’ll do it?”

“Consider it done. Now I’ll need the monitor so I can prepare it.”

“I’ll pick up Gus after school and we’ll go shopping. I’ll drop it off later at your apartment.”

“Sounds like a plan to me. And Brian,” Emmett began before sliding a freshly baked popover to his friend. “You’re a very good man. Don’t let anyone ever make you think otherwise. You’re a good friend, partner and father.”

Brian felt his face grow warm as he took the popover then grumbled something about nelly ass fairies. Emmett just smiled as he passed the butter.



*****



Gus and Brian entered the electronics store. A rather good looking and very obviously gay salesperson rushed up to them, asking if he could be of any assistance. He looked the father and son up and down, admiring both.

“If you can keep your eyes to yourself and your dick in your pants, you might make a good sized sale,” Brian growled. He didn’t mind being cruised, but he didn’t want this guy hitting on his son.

Gus giggled. He couldn’t help himself. He knew his father so well.

“Um … yes, sir. Sorry, sir,” the salesman apologized. “What are you looking for?”

“We need a very high quality monitor. Show us what you have,” Brian ordered.

The man hustled them to the back of the store to stand in front of the bank of TV monitors that were located there. Gus got into a discussion with the man about what they were going to be doing and what equipment would work best.

While they were talking, Brian wandered into the computer area. He still needed a gift for Gus for his birthday. He had been thinking about getting him a new laptop. He stopped in front of one that was pencil thin and weighed less than five pounds according to the sign above it. That was a definite possibility. He continued down the aisle and stopped in front of what were labeled tablet PC’s. They were laptops with a monitor that seemed to have two sides that could be swiveled around. He studied them for a minute and then started reading the blurb that went with it. That’s where Gus found him some minutes later.

“What are you doing, Pop?” Gus asked as he came up beside him.

“Maybe looking at your birthday present. Know anything about these things?” Brian asked gesturing at the tablet computers.

“Yeah, they’re really good for college where the profs don’t like you having computers open while they’re lecturing. You can write on them in handwriting and they translate it into word docs for you.”

“That’s what I was reading,” Brian said with a smirk. “How would one of these be as your gift?” Brian asked.

Gus frowned and then said, “I was kind of hoping…”

“That I’d buy you a car,” Brian finished the statement. “Bree told me. I didn’t much like you roping her into your scheme to get a car.”

Gus hung his head. “Sorry, Pop.”

“Bree feels responsible for getting you are car.”

“Oh, no! No, that’s not what I wanted to happen. I just thought…”

“That she could put some pressure on me,” Brian said completing another sentence for his son.

Gus nodded and looked at the floor. “Stupid, huh?”

“Very! I thought I raised a smarter son.”

“You did, Pop. I should have known better.”

“You know better now.”

“Yeah, I do, and you don’t have to get me anything for my birthday. I really am sorry…”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “I think you need to talk to Bree and apologize to her, not to me.”

“I will, I promise.”

“Then in lieu of a car, what do you think about one of these?”

“Really? That would be great!”

“Where’s that salesman?” Brian asked.

“He was taking the monitor I chose to the front cash,” Gus explained.

“I’m back,” the guy said reappearing at that moment. “Is there something else I can get for you?”

“What’s the best one of these?” Brian asked with a smirk.

The salesman started his longwinded explanation which Brian quickly tuned out. He walked around the end of the aisle and stood debating if maybe he should get Gus a car after all. The boy was a good kid, and Gus really wanted a car. Brian knew what that was like. Maybe he should just give in and get Gus a car. Then he remembered all the things he had discussed with Lindsay and Justin. Brian remembered how he had so wanted a car when he was Gus’ age, but he never got it. He finally got a car when he could afford to buy one for himself. That hadn’t hurt him. In the long run, it had made him appreciate his first car even more when he was finally able to buy it for himself. Next year was soon enough for Gus to get a car.

“Pop,” Gus said, coming around the end of the aisle. “Where did you get to? We made a decision. Come see which one I like.”

“Sure, Sonny Boy,” Brian replied and followed Gus around the aisle. Brian had made his decision too.

Back in front of the computers Brian listened to his son regale him with all the features of the new computer he had selected. When Gus was finished they made their way to the front of the store where the salesman waited for them with their purchases.

“It was lovely serving you,” the guy said holding out his hand.

Brian shook it perfunctorily. “I hope I got a good deal, because if I didn’t I’ll be back.”

The man blanched, and then smiled and assured his handsome customer that he was getting a good deal. He helped them take the boxes out to the car and load them inside. When he headed back to the store, Gus looked at his father.

“Do you think I’ll ever be able to make people quake in their shoes the way you do?” Gus asked.

“I gave you my genes. I don’t see why not,” Brian said with a chuckle. “You may need some practice before you master it.”

“I think I need a lot of practice.”

“Just remember that you’re my son. You can do anything and be anything you want to be.”

Gus smiled. “That’s good to know.”

Brian frowned. “But not all my traits are good ones. I hope you also learn to discriminate.”

“I already have, Pop, I already have.”

Brian stared at his son as Gus got into the car. He wasn’t quite sure what that statement meant.



*****



Justin led the twins and the others into the loft. They were laden with food from the diner, ready to get stoked with nourishment both from food and ideas. They quickly got plates of food and sat around the living room as they ate.

After a couple of minutes, Justin explained once again what he had in mind as far as the Rage cartoon went.

“Isn’t that a bit ambitious?” Michael asked looking at the twins who were touted as having the skills with animation to pull this off.

“Ambitious how, Michael?” Justin asked. “We either make a cartoon or we don’t.”

“Yeah, but you’re talking about distributing this to theaters. And … we’re working with amateurs, kids who haven’t even graduated yet.”

“Michael, that’s very unfair. You haven’t even seen Troi` and Tre`’s work. I chose them out of all the people at PIFA to work with. They’re good,” Justin said in defense of the two men. The twins smiled at him.

“But they’re not Brett Keller,” Michael continued.

“Look where working with Brett Keller got me last time,” Justin said sarcastically.

Michael shook his head. So much for that argument. “They’re so young and … inexperienced,” he continued.

“I prefer to think of it as young and fresh, as in their ideas and thinking.” Justin wanted to add, ‘unlike you, Michael’, but he bit his tongue.

“I don’t know,” Michael said shaking his head. “I think we could do better.”

“That’s what you thought about Lacy, I seem to remember. I was right that time, wasn’t I?” Justin asked.

“Well, that was different,” Michael said eyeing the twins skeptically.

“Michael, you’re being pissy!” Justin told him. Tre` and Troi` stifled laughs.

“I am not. I just…”

Tre` and Troi` looked at each other then nodded. “If you don’t want us as part of this,” Tre` said.

“We can leave … right now,” Troi` added.

“I want you,” Justin said quickly. “You’re staying.”

“And so do I,” Lacy jumped in. The twins smiled at her. “When you see their work, Michael, you’ll know why we want them as part of this. They’re really good.”

“Maybe they can show me some of their work … soon,” Michael conceded. He knew when he was being outvoted.

Justin smiled. They had him now.

“We’ll be happy to,” Troi` said.

Michael shook his head a couple of more times. He still didn’t like this, but what was he going to do. He said, “So what will the storyline of this cartoon be about?”

“Rage!” they all said.

Michael had to laugh, as they got down to business planning what their cartoon might look like.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 10




It was a few days before the opening of Justin’s Seasons show in Pittsburgh when Brian decided to call a family meeting. Brian realized that once the show actually opened, all six of the occupants of Edna’s Treasures would not be together until the launching of the show was over. Brian also harbored the notion that as soon as certain critics got wind of the Fractal movie, his life might forever be changed. Brian resolved to cross that bridge when he got there. Pushing down any anxiety or misgivings Brian called his meeting to order.

“I’ve asked you all here today...” Brian began.

“Bri, this isn’t a staff meeting,” John said gently. “Just tell us what’s on your mind,” he prodded. Brian dipped his head.

They were all gathered at the long table in the sun porch and just about to have dinner. Brian passed the platter of grilled chicken cutlets then began again.

“The first day of Justin’s show is this Friday.”

“No news there,” Bobby commented as he took a couple of cutlets for Patrick’s plate as well as his own.

“Justin will be needed in the Pitts, so after I pick up the kids from school, I’ll be heading there as well. I’ll stay through the weekend but bring Bree home Sunday night.”

“Brian, Rachel or I can get the kids. Then we’ll all drive in later that evening,” John suggested. “You should go with Justin in the morning.”

“We’ll still need to take two cars. I’ll be commuting back and forth that week; Justin will have to stay. He’ll need his own wheels.”

“Then you drive in together in the Cherokee. “Bobby will take the Navigator with the kids and I’ll drive your Jeep. This way you’ll have a car to come back whenever you want.”

“I guess. Justin doesn’t need me to be under foot all the time,” Brian mumbled sadly. Brian didn’t want to admit that he liked being needed by Justin.

“Brian,” Justin said softly as he placed a gentle hand on his lover’s arm. “I want you there with me. You know how Sidney gets; you know how he drives me insane sometimes. I’ll need you to remind me to trust that Sidney does know what he’s doing and that it’s all for my own good.”

Brian didn’t hear the explanation, just that Justin still needed him.

“Okay, Sunshine. If you want me there then I’ll be there,” Brian said with a small grin, finding it hard to conceal his joy. “Do you guys want me to book you a room at the Plaza or do you want to share at the loft? I’ll have Emmett stock the refrigerator before we get there.”

“That is, if Debbie and my mother don’t get to it first. They know I’m staying the week. I’ve been warned that I’m going to be fed,” Justin said as he rubbed his filling tummy.

“Daddy, are you going to be away for a whole week?” Briana asked her father with very wide eyes.

“Yes, baby girl, I am. But I’ll call you every day and I can read your bedtime story over the phone if you’d like. And you’re going to be there opening night and on the last night for the big party.” Justin hoped this offering would mollify his daughter. “This is an important show,” Justin added quickly, feeling guilty that he had to be away.

“I know, Daddy. It’s okay,” Bree said as she slid off her chair to give her Daddy a hug. The petite child could feel her father’s distress as she climbed into Justin’s lap. Brian slid her plate closer so that father and daughter could finish their meals while remaining in physical contact.

The family engaged in quiet conversation as dinner continued, shoring up their plans for the weekend and the rest of the week.



*****



“Brian?”

“What is it, Sunshine?” The lovers were preparing for bed. Justin was very nervous with anticipation. Anticipation regarding the show, its reception by the critics and the aftermath.

“This feels different somehow, doesn’t it?” Justin asked as he snuggled down close to Brian.

“No, feels the same to me,” Brian quipped, as he wound his arms around the anxious younger man.

Justin gave him a little poke. “Brian, you know what I mean. This show feels different.”

“How?” Brian asked as he gently nibbled Justin’s ear, manipulating his blond into revealing his fears.

“This show is all me,” Justin whispered, as he leaned his head over giving Brian better access to the sensitive spots on his neck.

“They’ve always been all you,” Brian murmured kissing the pale delectable skin, lapping at the sweet salty neck.

“Not completely. The Old Masters were my interpretation of classic paintings. My portraits have been about us, you, our family or how I’ve felt about them when I was happy or sad. Other times it’s been about Rage, this time it’s all me and the world around me.”

Justin pushed back on Brian’s shoulder, urging him onto his back. He began to nip at the prominent chin, relishing the scratchy feel of Brian’s five o’clock shadow.

“I feel naked,” Justin mumbled.

“You are naked,” Brian stated, patting Justin’s plump round rump, awaiting the inevitable retaliation, which came in the form of a bite to Brian’s right nipple.

“Ow!”

“You’re not listening,” Justin scolded.

“I am listening, Sunshine,” Brian said forcefully as he flipped them both over again. “The contents of this show have the potential of being more personal to those who will see them. The other subjects you’ve painted in the past are personal to you. The seasons and the weather in general affect all of us, in good ways and bad. But everyone can relate to it. I’ve never met someone who didn’t like the look of newly fallen snow.”

“Until you had to shovel it like this past winter.”

“Right, or the first Spring flowers.”

“Unless you have allergies like me,” Justin griped as he recalled his battle with his allergies. Brian kissed Justin’s wounded nose.

“And Fall leaves, the colors they become.”

“Except when we have to rake them.”

“Exactly. Even if you live in a bubble, the weather affects us all. What we wear for the day, what mode of transport we might take that day and our attitude for the day. Spring fever, the Winter blues, it touches all of us.”

“I guess that’s why I’m so nervous, Bri. What if I don’t touch anyone? What if I’m a flop? What if all my art is a fraud?”

“Why would it be a fraud, Jus? Your paintings have sold everywhere. Why would this time be any different?” Brian kissed Justin’s butterfly filled tummy then worked his way down to the semi-erect penis. “You are the bravest man I know, Justin Taylor-Kinney. Even if your worst fears become real, you painted from your heart. No one can ever take that away from you,” Brian whispered. He kissed, lapped then sucked on Justin’s cock, loving the feel of it as it grew harder in his mouth.

Brian watched as Justin fisted the sheets and arched his back under Brian’s thorough ministrations. Just before Justin came, Brian looked up into Justin’s face. His lover still radiated a youthful innocence.

“Come for me, Justin. Give me what you’ve got,” Brian urged as he swallowed Justin’s cock and cum. Without thought for himself, Brian gathered his mate close and waited until Justin became coherent.

“Mmm, that was so good,” Justin murmured, cuddling closer to Brian. “What about you?” he asked sleepily.

“That was for you. It’s all for you,” Brian said softly, his voice hitching, holding Justin tighter. “Your paintings are as beautiful as you are. Your art transformed my loveless soul, it touched me and now it will touch whoever sees it. Of this I have no doubt. Now sleep. I have a feeling once this show hits, you won’t have time to sleep.”

“I love you, Brian,” Justin murmured as sleep took him.

“I love you too, Sunshine.” Brian willed down his hard-on because his needs weren’t as important as the man in his arms. And that’s the way it was supposed to be.

The next morning, Brian was up with the birds as it was his habit even if he didn’t have to be anywhere. He was sipping coffee by the sun porch door, watching Beau chase the first Fall leaf that had made its way into the garden. There was a slight chill in the morning air but with promises of a warm afternoon.

“Had a quiet night,” Bobby casually remarked as he walked into the porch with his own cup of coffee. They still had a couple of hours before the kids needed to be up to get ready for school.

“You spying on us?” Brian asked with an arch of his brow.

“No, just came out looking for a brief I misplaced. Couldn’t help but notice the lack of noise that usually follows when you two go to bed.

Brian turned to stare out the door; a slight smirk graced his face. “Just making sure my Sunshine knows how much he’s cherished,” Brian murmured quietly as he took another sip of coffee.

“Good,” was all that Bobby said as he too greeted the new day.



*****



“Unca John,” Bree said as they gathered up her things to head into Pittsburgh for the opening night of Justin’s show. “What am I gonna wear tonight?”

“I don’t know, sweetheart. Your Dada packed your clothes in this suitcase,” John said as he indicated the open suitcase lying on Bree’s bed.

Bree looked into the suitcase and frowned. She lifted up a couple of items to make sure she could see everything that had been included. Having viewed every item that was in the case, she realized that there was no new outfit for the opening of her Daddy’s show. She always got a new outfit for special occasions like this one. With a frown, she sat down on the edge of her bed and crossed her arms over her chest. Her mouth formed into a perfect pout. She sat there staring wordlessly out into the room.

“Bree, is something wrong?” John asked when he realized that Bree was silent and unmoving.

“I can’t go tonight,” she stated.

“What do you mean you can’t go?”

“I don’t have nuffin to wear.”

“You have a closet full of beautiful clothes, and your Dada packed your two beautiful dresses from your birthday party.”

“But they’re old,” Bree said regally. “I need a new dress.”

John stared at the little girl that he loved with all his heart. He couldn’t believe how selfish she sounded at that moment. “Bree, these dresses are fine. You don’t need a new dress.”

“Yes, I do,” Bree contradicted. “My Dada always gets me a new dress,” she said emphatically. “I can’t go.”

“You are most certainly going,” John said feeling his temper rise.

“No,” Bree repeated.

“Briana, your fathers are expecting you to be there.”

Bree looked at her uncle. He didn’t often call her Briana, but when he did he meant business. He was obviously not happy with her. But Bree wasn’t happy either. “Why didn’t my Dada get me a new dress?” she pouted.

“Your fathers have been very busy the last few weeks. You know your Daddy has had to spend a lot of time in Pittsburgh, and your Dada has helped him in any way that he can. That was more important than any new dress.”

Bree frowned. That did sound more important, but she had to look nice for her fathers. And she wouldn’t look her best in an old dress. “I can’t go,” she repeated her arms still folded on her chest.

“You most certainly can go, young lady. You have just decided that you want a new dress, and you didn’t get one. It’s not very becoming to see you acting in this unseemly manner.”

Bree frowned as she listened to her uncle. “I’m not acting,” she said not a hundred percent sure what her Uncle John had just said, but it didn’t sound good.

John smiled. Sometimes he forgot she was only five. “Bree, there are lots of little girls who would be thrilled to have one of the dresses you had for your birthday party, let alone both of them. Ashley doesn’t have nearly as many clothes as you, does she?” John asked, deciding to take a different tack with his niece.

“No,” Bree admitted reluctantly.

“Do you know that there are children all over the world who go to bed hungry every night and barely have enough clothes to cover their bodies and keep warm?”

Bree’s eyes got very big. At school she had heard about poor places in the world where that happened. “I know,” she said uncertainly, “but I want to look nice for my daddies.”

“Your daddies will love you whatever you’re wearing. And you will look like a little princess in either one of those dresses,” John said.

“Even if they’re old?”

“They’re classics,” John told her, taking a leaf out of Brian’s book. “Your Dada wouldn’t buy you anything that couldn’t be worn for many years. The trouble is you grow bigger each year, so he gets you new things.”

“Oh,” Bree said with a frown. That made sense.

“So, will you be okay wearing one of those dresses tonight?” Bree nodded somewhat reluctantly. She had really expected to get a new dress. “Then let’s get going. We’ll get you ready when we get to the loft.”

“’Kay,” Bree said as she tucked her grey bunny under her arm and John snapped the suitcase shut.

“Let’s go,” John said.

Bree was staring into her big closet filled with clothes, some of which she hadn’t worn in a long time. “Unca John, can I give some of my clothes to kids who need them? They should be warm.”

John almost laughed out loud. What an about face! He cleared his throat. “I think that would be a lovely idea, Bree.”

“Me too,” Bree said with a smile. “I share.” She slipped her hand into her uncle’s and they headed out the door.



*****



“Are we ready to give this fucking thing a try?” Brian asked. His last nerve was on the verge of unraveling. He had been stuck at the gallery all day while Justin and Sidney and Lindsay moved paintings around, and argued over which paintings to display on which revolving easel.

“I was ready an hour ago,” Sidney said as he pushed the button to start the first set of easels revolving on their platform. They had tried them at least fifteen times already, each time ending with some change being made to the order of the paintings.

“Let’s see how they look,” Justin said with a sigh. He was getting more and more worried about how this show would be received. He wanted it to be perfect.

The first set of paintings had almost revolved back to where it started when there was a grinding sound and a little puff of smoke. The revolving stand halted suddenly.

“What … what happened?” Justin gasped.

“I think we blew a fuse or something,” Lindsay said.

“I knew all this high tech stuff was a mistake,” Justin moaned. “Why didn’t we just hang the paintings on the wall?”

“Let me see what’s happened,” Sidney said lifting the skirt of the platform. “Oh shit! I think we fried some wires.”

“Oh no,” Justin croaked. “What are we going to do? This is a disaster.”

“Calm down, Justin, we’ll get it fixed,” Lindsay told him.

“What the fuck happened?” Brian demanded. “Didn’t you have this inspected by an electrician?”

“Well no,” Sidney admitted. “The company I rented this equipment from assured me it would be fine.”

“Get them on the fucking phone,” Brian ordered.

Lindsay quickly dialed the company and spoke with someone. After a minute or two she snapped her phone closed and shook her head at them.

“What did they say?” Sidney asked with a sinking feeling in his stomach.

“They don’t have a replacement for these stands. We rented the only four they have.”

“Can they be fixed?” Sidney asked.

Lindsay shook her head. “He said they’d refund our deposit, but it’s closing time on Friday and he doesn’t have an electrician that he can get here until tomorrow.”

“Fuck!” Sidney gasped.

Justin leaned against Brian. He felt like his life was slipping away one fried wire after another. “I knew this was going to happen. I’ve been dreading this show.”

“Stop it, Sunshine. We’ll think of something.”

“Why couldn’t it have been a fucking fuse?” Sidney asked the ceiling. “Do any of you know a good electrician?”

Everyone shook their head and Justin moaned audibly. “This is going to be a disaster, I know it is.”

“Wait a minute,” Brian said, suddenly pulling out his cell phone. He hit a number and waited. “John?”

“It’s me, little bro’. What’s up?”

“Where are you?”

“Halfway to Pittsburgh with the kids. Why?”

“We’ve got a problem.”

“What kind of problem?”

“Electrical.”

“You need Aaron?”

“Was that the guy who worked on Lindsay’s house?” Brian asked.

“That’s the one. He’s very good at what he does.”

“Do you think you could get him here ASAP? We need someone to fix some wiring for us at the gallery. It looks like it’s fried,” Brian explained.

“I’ll ask him for a favor. I’ve sent quite a bit of business his way lately. I’ll tell him to get there as soon as he can.”

“Thanks, John,” Brian said with a sigh of relief. “It’s the revolving stands that hold the paintings.”

“I’ll let him know so he can come equipped. Do you want me to come to the gallery?”

“No, take the kids to the loft. They need some dinner. We’ll meet you there as soon as this fiasco is fixed,” Brian said.

“Hang up so I can call Aaron.”

“Thanks,” Brian said and snapped his phone shut.

“Can John help?” Justin asked hopefully.

“He’s sending an electrician right now.”

“Thank you, Brian,” Sidney said with a sigh of relief.

“Next time you do something like this, check the fucking wiring before you burn the place down.” Brian did not feel like being forgiving.

“I will,” Sidney replied. “I’m sorry, Justin.”

“Just get it fixed, please,” Justin begged.

Brian led Justin into Sidney’s office and got him some water. Would this fucking opening ever be over?

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 11




“All done,” Aaron stated as he came into the main gallery from the utility room, wiping his hands on his towel. Not only were a few wires fried on the revolving display unit but a couple of breakers were tripped as well. “Mr. Bloom, I do suggest that you rewire your breaker box. It can’t handle much more of a load than what’s on there now,” Aaron explained. Sidney made an appointment for early Monday morning.

“But will it hold for tonight?” Justin asked as he looked at his watch. It was almost six; the opening was set for eight.

Aaron had all four display sections revolving for the past hour, not a spark was seen or a wire fried. All four wouldn’t be needed until the following Saturday.

“It’ll hold. Which section is going tonight?” Aaron asked. The show was going to start off with Winter. The other seasons would remain under wraps.

Lindsay showed Aaron the Winter section. He inspected the wiring and declared it sound. Much to the relief of everyone present.

“Aaron,” Brian began as he drew the master electrician aside. “Can we keep either you or one of your most trusted men on retainer for the duration of this event? It would make the whole lot of us much happier, especially the man of the hour. Emmett, the event planner, and I have something very special planned for the last night of this gala. I need reassurances that it’ll go off without a hitch. You will, of course, be compensated for your time.”

“Mr. Kinney....”

“Brian.”

“Brian, my wife is a fan and was fortunate to have won her bid on a small painting during the fundraiser. I was trying to get tickets...”

“Done! Consider yourselves my personal guests. However, I was serious about you being on call for the duration. Especially on the last night of the show.”

“You got it. I’ll be here on Monday to check things out more thoroughly.”

“Then come over to Kinnetik when you’re done so we can talk privately. I’ll explain more at that time.”

Brian and Aaron shook hands. Brian made sure Lindsay had Aaron and his wife on the guest list then Brian took Justin back to the loft.



*****



“Justin, eat,” Brian commanded. John had warmed up some of Debbie’s lasagna for themselves and the kids. Brian hoped that the delicious aroma would entice Justin to eat. But it seemed to be having just the opposite effect.

“I can’t. I’m too nervous to eat lasagna.”

“Then I’ll make you some eggs or a grilled cheese or a fucking peanut butter and jelly sandwich. But you WILL eat!” Brian growled, not going to take no for an answer.

Justin thought it prudent not to argue and sat at the table. Brian put a small hunk of lasagna on a plate then placed it in front of Justin. Justin picked up his knife and fork and began to eat.



*****



“Dada, when are we going?” The children had finished their dinners, gotten cleaned up, dressed and were ready to go. As were most of the adults.

“In a few minutes, Squirt. Just as soon as I can convince your father to stop hiding in the bathroom,” Brian said in frustration.

“Brian, why don’t we take the kids to the gallery? You and Justin can drive over when he’s ready to make the grand entrance,” Bobby wisely suggested. He also wanted to get the kids out of Brian’s line of fire.

Brian dramatically sighed but agreed. He had a quiet word with Bree as he gave her hair a touch up. Then Brian placed a brand new hair clip around the elastic band that held her ponytail in place. The clip was bright pink with sparkling beads. Brian realized he hadn’t gotten Bree a new outfit for this night so he did the next best thing.

“Pretty, Dada!” Bree said as she looked at herself in the mirror. “I love my new hair clip.”

“I do too, Squirt. Now you go with Uncle John and Uncle Bobby. Hold Patrick’s hand and we’ll see you soon,” Brian promised.

“Okay, Dada,” Bree said cheerfully then gave her Dada a kiss.

Brian thanked his brother and brother-in-law, ruffled Patrick’s hair then shut the door behind them. He then strode up to the bedroom, preparing to take on his stubborn Sunshine.

“Justin, are you ready to go?” Brian calmly asked the bathroom door.

“Yes, I am,” Justin said softly as he opened the door to step out into the bedroom. He was dressed smartly but not too formally, deciding to be true to his casual nature. This was his show, damn it, and Justin was going to be as comfortable as he possibly could.

He looked up at Brian’s face for reassurance.

“Beautiful, Sunshine,” Brian declared.

“You sure? I could put on a suit.”

“Nope! You’re perfect just the way you are. Let’s have a drink before we go,” Brian said as he poured them two small shots of Beam.

“Bri, I don’t...”

“A small one, Justin. Just a little Dutch courage then we’ll go. You’ll arrive fashionably late, looking fabulous. Sidney will do his thing and your public will be wowed.”

“It sounds so simple when you put it that way,” Justin said as he took a small sip of his drink.

“It is simple.”

“I wish I had your confidence.”

“I have enough for the both of us. Now, you ready to meet your public?”

“I’m ready.”

“Then let’s go.” Brian guided Justin out of the loft, locked up and took his artist to meet his destiny.



*****



“Are you sure I look all right?” Curtis asked, as Raph and Hector headed towards the door of their house.

“You look fine,” Raph replied. “We’re going to be late if we don’t get moving.”

“But you have nice suits and I don’t,” Curtis stated.

“Your shirt and tie look fine,” Hector told the boy.

“I … I’ve never been to something like this before. Maybe I should stay home.”

“You are coming with us,” Raph said firmly. “You look fine, and this is for friends of ours. Let’s go.”

They made their way out to the car, Curtis trailing behind. When they were all strapped in, Hector started the car and they headed out into traffic. Raph turned and looked at his newly minted son. He realized they should have talked more about this before they left. He always forgot about Curtis’ insecurities and inexperience, especially now that the boy was their son. That legal action didn’t automatically solve all the problems.

“Curtis,” Raph said gently. “Are you worried about how to act at Justin’s opening?”

Curtis nodded his head silently. Raph thought he could see tears forming in the dark eyes.

“We know that you didn’t get a chance to go to functions like this when you were with those people.” Raph refused to say the name Hardigan aloud.

“We never went anywhere. And when I lived with my Grandpa, we didn’t have money for fancy things like this. I’m going to make a fool of myself … and of you.” Curtis felt the first tear roll down his face. He swiped it away and sucked in a breath.

“Pull over, Hector,” Raph said.

Hector looked at his partner who nodded at him. Hector pulled the car into a parking lot of a strip mall. He found a space and shut off the car.

Raph unbuckled his seatbelt and turned to face his son. “Do you want to go home?” Curtis nodded. “Then we will, but I think you should understand something first.”

“What?” Curtis asked when Raph stopped there.

“You had a very bad time for many years, Curtis. Hector and I both know that.”

“We do,” Hector agreed.

“However, when we adopted you, when you came to live with us, we both resolved to give you every opportunity to have a good life,” Raph explained. “If you are to grow to your full potential, you need to experience everything. We may be rushing you a bit taking you to this opening, but you will find that all social events are pretty much the same. You go in, you meet your hosts, you mingle and make small talk with people, you have a drink or some food and then you thank them for having you and leave.”

“That’s it?” Curtis asked looking at Raph.

“That’s it,” Raph replied and Hector nodded in agreement.

“They’re all like that?” Curtis asked.

“With variations. At dinner parties you sit down to eat. At birthday parties, you sing that birthday song and watch the person cut the cake, like at Bree’s birthday.”

“Will there be a frog cake?” Curtis asked mischievously.

Hector and Raph laughed out loud. “God, I hope not,” Hector said. “But with Emmett catering you never know.”

“You just did a good thing,” Raph said knowingly. “If you can see the humor in the situation it makes it so much easier. You can always pretend everyone’s naked and you’re not. It gives one a sense of confidence.”

Curtis giggled. “Maybe I can do this.”

“Curtis, I know you can do it, even if you don’t,” Raph said confidently. “You’re a smart lad with a good sense of humor. That will take you far in life. But you need to experience things. This opening will be a social gathering that you can try on for size while you’re young. No one expects you to be perfect. It will provide you with a bank of knowledge and understanding that you can apply to every social situation you’ll face later in your life. It gets easier as you practise.”

“Just like practising basketball?” Curtis asked with a twinkle in his eye. The tears had been banished.

“Kind of,” Hector said. “Practice makes perfect.”

“Oh, and one more thing,” Raph said. “We’ll be there with you the whole time. If you’re not sure about something, ask us, or watch what we do.”

“Okay,” Curtis said, his demeanor much brighter now.

“So is it the opening … or home?” Hector asked, starting the car.

“I guess we should go to the opening,” Curtis said. “I have a lot to learn.”

“I think you’ve learned all the essentials of life that you really need,” Raph replied gently. “All this is just window dressing. I’m proud of you, son.”

Curtis leaned back in his seat as Hector pulled into traffic. He felt much better about this whole opening thing now.



*****



“Where are my daddies?” Bree asked her uncles.

“They’ll be here shortly,” John told her.

“Your Dada likes to be fashionably late,” Bobby explained.

“What’s passionably late?” Bree asked.

John and Bobby choked back laughs. “Out of the mouths of babes,” Bobby chuckled.

“They better not be…” John stated.

“What better way would Brian have to calm down a tense Justin?”

“I don’t want to think about it,” John scowled.

Just then Raph, Hector and Curtis walked in.

“Curtis!” Bree called. She was happy to see someone she knew.

The three men made their way over to Bree and her uncles.

“Hi, Bree,” Curtis said with a smile. “I didn’t think you would remember me.”

“I member you,” Bree said. “I made you a card and you came to my party.”

“Right,” Curtis said. “And I hope you’ll come to my party in a while.”

“Is it your birthday?” Bree asked.

“No, no, it’s my adoption party,” Curtis said proudly. “Raph and Hector have officially adopted me.”

“Good,” Bree stated giving her seal of approval.

“That’s great,” John and Bobby said shaking Raph and Hector’s hands.

“What’s going on?” Gus asked as he walked up. He, JR and Melanie had been running late, and had just arrived.

“Curtis got ‘dopted,” Bree told him.

“Wow! That’s great, Curtis,” Gus said hugging his friend.

“Thanks,” Curtis said shyly, but he was pleased at everyone’s congratulations.

“Gus … thirsty,” Bree said tugging at Gus’ hand.

“Yeah, I am,” Gus replied teasing his little sister.

“Me thirsty,” Bree pouted.

“Okay, Squirt,” Gus said. “Come on, Curtis, let’s go get some punch.”

Curtis looked at his fathers who nodded. All the children made their way over to the punch table where Gus snaffled drinks for all of them.

“He’s doing great,” John said to Hector and Raph as they all kept an eye on the children.

“Yes, we’re very proud of him,” Hector said.

“He was reluctant to come tonight,” Raph informed them. “I hope you’ll keep an eye on him and help him if he seems out of his element.”

“We certainly will,” Bobby volunteered. “But he seems to be having a good time.”

They watched Curtis talking animatedly with the children. They were all laughing and everything seemed to be fine.

“Did Brian tell you that he invited us to attend the closing party for Justin’s show? I understand it will also be Gus’ birthday party? We had wanted to have a celebration of Curtis’ adoption that night, but everyone will be at Brian’s party,” Raph explained.

“That’s too bad,” Bobby said.

“Brian wants to have Curtis be part of the celebration that night,” Hector clarified. “It was nice of him to invite us.”

“Yes, it was. I hope Curtis doesn’t mind sharing the moment.”

Hector grinned. “We have a little surprise for Curtis, with Brian’s help.”

“That’s good,” John said.

“We think we’ll have a party for Curtis later when midterms are over,” Raph explained.

“That’s a nice idea,” John agreed.

“He wants to invite Bree, because she invited him to her party,” Raph laughed.

“I know Bree seems older and wiser than she actually is, but isn’t she a little young for a teenage party?”

“I thought the same thing, but Curtis doesn’t have many friends yet, and he really wanted her to be there. Would Patrick maybe come too, then she’d have someone more her own age to be with.”

“Sounds like a plan,” John said. “I’ll mention it to Patrick.”

“Thanks,” Raph said feeling better about the closing night party and their own future party.

Sidney hustled up beside John. He was looking at his watch. “Where is that brother of yours?” he demanded of John. “He promised to have Justin back here on time. They’re already ten minutes late. What has he done to my artist?”

John and Bobby looked at each other and shook their heads, wondering themselves what the two men might be up to.

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon,” John said trying to mollify the gallery owner.

“They better be. We should have started already,” Sidney griped.

Just then there was a ruffle of noise that passed through the gallery. They all turned to look. Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor were in the building. They stood inside the main door looking very handsome and debonair. Justin clung to Brian’s hand, but his smile radiated across the room. A round of applause started up and everyone showed their appreciation for the artist, even though they had yet to see the new collection of work.

When the applause died down, Sidney stepped forward. “Ladies and gentlemen, now that our artist has arrived, we may begin.”

Justin glanced at Brian who squeezed his hand and leaned his shoulder against his husband. “It’s going to be fine,” he whispered.

Justin nodded and held his breath.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 12




“For those of you who are new to our little gallery,” Sidney said as he dramatically waved his hand around. “I am Sidney Bloom, and I welcome you to the launching of Justin Taylor’s “Seasons!” The family and honored guests, which included several art critics and representatives from galleries all over the world, began to applaud.

“Over the next week in two day intervals we will reveal another season, starting tonight with Winter. On Saturday the 30th, all four Seasons will be available for viewing. We hope you’ll all be there to celebrate with us.”

Another round of applause was heard.

“So without further ado, the Sidney Bloom Gallery is proud to present, “Winter!”

The lights dimmed, as several of Emmett’s minions who were doing double duty that night, gently removed the coverings off of the Winter portion of the display. Sidney snapped his fingers, the displays began to slowly revolve allowing the gathered audience unobstructed views of the breathtaking Winterscapes. The lights were raised with special spotlights focused on each painting.

A collective gasp was heard running through the audience and then the building of applause. Photographers from several magazines and newspapers began flocking closer to take pictures as their counterparts, the reporters, began to vie for Justin’s attention.

Justin momentarily tightened his grip on Brian’s hand as the surge of people around him threw him into a slight panic.

“You’ve done this dozens of times before; this is nothing new. Just remember, they’re here for you, Sunshine. Take your time and do ‘em one at a time. We don’t do orgies anymore,” Brian said into Justin’s ear. He kissed Justin’s temple then stepped aside to join the rest of the family, leaving Justin to shine in his own light.

As Justin gave interviews, Brian wandered closer to the buffet table where John and the rest of the Edna’s Treasures residents were hovering.

“Sidney was beginning to worry,” John commented as he handed Brian a glass of champagne.

“Why, did he think I was doing Justin in the alley?”

“Something like that,” John replied.

“We knew better,” Jennifer said as she drew closer, hearing what was said. “Was Justin that nervous?”

“Yes, this show feels different to him and he’s been concentrating on another project as well. It’s been a bit overwhelming for him lately,” Brian confided.

“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett said as he approached the group with a tray of Brian’s favorite canapés, passing the delicious morsels under Brian’s nose. Swiftly Brian grabbed one to scarf down.

“Smooth move, kiddo,” Debbie commented as she pushed her way through the crowd then snatched her own treat.

“You too, Deb,” Brian drawled. The family stood huddled together, laughing and kibitzing as they proudly watched their Sunshine.



*****



“Justin, darling, how are you?” Sarah Kingsley gushed as she approached the now beaming artist.

After his initial trepidation when he and Brian entered the gallery, Justin had finally started to relax. The reaction when everyone saw his Winter paintings had been very gratifying. The people attending the opening had received his new works warmly, even enthusiastically. Maybe Brian, had been right to tell him not to worry.

“Mrs. Kingsley,” Justin replied shaking her outstretched hand. “Nice to see you again.”

“My, yes, it has been far too long since I last saw you,” Sarah said loudly letting anyone within earshot know that she knew Justin Taylor. “And remember, you promised to call me Sarah.”

“Ah, Sarah, of course,” Justin said graciously. “I hope you’re enjoying the show.”

“It’s mahhhhvelous,” she said dramatically. Justin did his best not to snicker.

“Justin,” Owen Brenner Sr. interrupted, “I actually recognize a few moments from our adventures last Christmas in your paintings.”

“That was quite the few days,” Justin laughed. “Sharon, good to see you too.” He took Sharon Brenner’s hand and squeezed it warmly.

“You look very handsome tonight, Justin, and so does that husband of yours.” She winked at Justin. “And your show is quite magnificent. We’ll have to come back every couple of nights to see the seasons change.” She chuckled at her little bon mot.

Justin smiled warmly at her. He had learned to like the woman in spite of her early pretensions when they had first met. She came by those honestly, if her mother was any indication. Justin glanced at Sharon’s mother, noting that Sarah’s nose seemed to be out of joint that Justin was spending so much time with her daughter and son-in-law, and not with her.

“You could come to the closing of the opening which will have all the Seasons revealed,” Justin suggested.

“Oh, what a good idea,” Sharon said.

“Thanks for the invite,” Owen smirked. “You just freed up my week.”

“Happy to be of service,” Justin chuckled, as he watched Sharon give her husband a gentle jab to the ribs. “If you’ll excuse me, I think I just saw my father come in. I hope you enjoy the show.”

“Of course,” Owen said quickly, as he led Sharon and her mother away.

Justin watched his father and Susan enter the gallery and look around. He was about to head over to them when he heard Bree.

“Gampa,” the little girl squealed as she bolted across the floor. “Gampa!”

“There’s my princess,” Craig said with a big smile. He was obviously pleased with Bree’s enthusiastic greeting. He squatted down to give the little girl a big hug.

“I don’t see you in forever,” Bree exclaimed.

Susan chuckled. “It hasn’t been quite that long, Bree.”

“Hi, Gamma Susan,” Bree said hugging this one of her many grandmothers. “Can we make cookies … real soon?”

“I’d like nothing better, sweetheart.”

“Have you seen your Daddy’s paintings?” Craig asked the petite girl.

Bree frowned and shook her head. “Too short. Everybody stands in my way,” she pouted. “Gus told me to wait till later.”

“Well, we can remedy that situation right now,” Craig said hoisting her up into his arms and heading over to the revolving easels. Bree giggled and wrapped her arms around Craig’s neck.

“He looks very happy at the moment,” Brian said coming over to his husband. He had watched Bree carefully since Craig’s arrival. He was still wary of the man hurting his daughter, but everything seemed to be fine so far.

“I … I’m glad he came. I wasn’t sure he would,” Justin said. “I called Susan specifically to invite them.”

“He’s here, and I’m happy for you,” Brian said kissing Justin’s temple. “You okay now?”

“I’m great. I don’t know what I was so worried about.”

“Butterflies,” Brian said knowingly. “If you don’t get butterflies before a big presentation, then something’s wrong with you.”

“These felt more like buzzard wings than butterfly wings fluttering in my stomach.”

“It’s all a matter of degree,” Brian chuckled.

“Sounds like you’re speaking from personal experience,” Justin said with a grin.

“Maybe.”

“Did you always get butterflies before a big presentation?” Justin probed.

Brian nodded. “Still do.”

“But no one would ever know.”

“The art of the façade,” Brian said with a smirk.

“And you’re the master.”

“Except where you’re concerned,” Brian admitted.

“I love you, Brian Kinney.”

“That goes without saying,” Brian replied tongue in cheek.

“Asshole,” Justin giggled elbowing him in the ribs.

“See, façade.”

Justin couldn’t help but hug his handsome husband.



*****



“Who’s the man holding Bree?” Curtis asked Gus. He had watched the girl race across the gallery to the man and woman who had just entered. “Did she call him Gampa?’

“That’s Justin’s father,” Gus explained.

“Oh! This sure is a big family.”

“He has some problems with my Pop, so he’s not around much,” Gus said with a shake of his head.

“Problems with your dad? But why?” Curtis asked in bewilderment. “Your dad does a lot of stuff for people like not pressing charges against me and inviting me to your ‘Closing and Birthday’ party.”

“Pop’s a good guy, but he wasn’t always so…” Gus didn’t quite know how to finish that sentence. “Let’s just say that Pop and Justin’s dad got off on the wrong foot from the very start.” Gus used the explanation that he had always been given about Craig Taylor and his father. He knew there was more to the story, and he knew he would find out all about it one day.

“That’s too bad,” Curtis said. “Somebody should smarten him up.”

Gus snorted. “Believe me, the best of them have tried. Craig Taylor is a hard nut to crack.”

“Does it have to do with your father being gay?” Curtis asked with a frown.

Gus nodded. “Yeah, but that’s only part of it. He’s quite a bit older than Justin. It was all a big mess at the beginning … from what I’ve been told.”

“That’s too bad,” Curtis said.

“Let’s get some more punch,” JR piped up deciding the discussion was getting way too serious.

They walked over to the punch table for some more refreshments. Curtis watched how Gus got his punch and then grabbed some canapés off a tray that went by carried by one of Emmett’s servers. Curtis hoped that some day he would be able to do that as gracefully as his friend did.

“Hey, Curtis, JR, you didn’t get anything to eat,” Gus observed as he finished stuffing the delectable morsel in his mouth. “You have to be fast. The servers tend to ignore us kids. But I can fix that.” JR and Curtis watched Gus go over to Emmett.

“What’s he doing?” Curtis asked.

“You’ll see,” JR said with a laugh.

Emmett and Gus disappeared for a minute and then Gus reappeared with two plates, one in each hand, laden with all different kinds of canapés.

“Here we go,” Gus said handing one plate to Curtis. “Dig in.” Gus held his plate out to JR who nabbed a couple of canapés for herself.

“This is great,” Curtis said with a smile as he ate a couple of the hors d’oeuvres. “They’re delicious. Thanks, Gus.”

“Don’t kid yourself, Curtis,” JR giggled. “Gus wasn’t looking out for us. He just wanted some more for himself.”

“Hey, you’re not supposed to give away all my secrets,” Gus joked, as he stuffed more food in his mouth before sharing with JR again.

“And I thought he was being really nice,” Curtis chuckled.

“It’s all a façade. Gus is really selfish,” JR giggled.

“You will pay for that, oh sister mine.”

“I know,” JR laughed. “But I just couldn’t resist. You know I love you.” She stood on her tiptoes and kissed Gus’ cheek.

“Yeah, I know. That’s why I never stay mad at you for long,” Gus said shaking his head at the manipulations of his sister.

“It must be nice to have a brother or sister,” Curtis observed.

“Oh, maybe fifty percent of the time,” Gus teased.

“I think that’s way too high a percentage, more like twenty,” JR said giving back as good as she got.

“You guys are so lucky,” Curtis said.

“Yeah, we are,” they both said in unison, smiling at each other to show that they were just kidding about the percentages.

“If you want a brother or sister why don’t you talk to Dr. Raph and Hector about it?” Gus teased Curtis. “Maybe they could adopt another kid.”

Curtis looked thoughtful for a moment and then he grinned. “Naw, I think I like being the only one, at least for now.”

“Right on,” Gus said. “Then you don’t have to share.”

“Asshole,” JR laughed and elbowed her brother in the ribs. She knew Gus would do anything for her, but it was fun pretending they didn’t get along.



*****



“So which painting is your favorite, Bree?” Craig asked as the paintings continued to revolve in front of them.

“That one,” Bree said pointing to one of her and her father making a snowman outside the cottage.

“You like yourself in that painting?” Craig asked with a smile.

Bree nodded. “And my Dada is there. I like making snowmen with my Dada.”

Craig frowned. Several of the pictures had Brian and Bree in them, although many didn’t. He hated that there was only one painting that included Justin, but he supposed that it was easier for Justin to paint other people than himself.

“Which one is your favorite?” Justin asked as he came over to his father and daughter.

Craig looked at his son. “I like this one,” Craig said as the one of Justin and Bree revolved past them.

Justin smiled. “A portrait of the Taylor side of the family.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m glad you came tonight.”

“Susan insisted,” Craig said and then noted the hurt look that flitted across Justin’s face. “But you have done some fine work here, son,” Craig added. “You’re quite an artist.”

Justin beamed at his father. “Thanks.”

“You’re getting so heavy, Briana,” Craig said as he set his granddaughter down.

“I’m a big girl now.”

“Yes, you are,” Craig said, as Bree scampered away to join Gus and get some punch. “She’s growing up so fast.”

“Yes, she is,” Justin agreed. “You could spend more time with her if you want, you know.”

“I … I appreciate that,” Craig stammered. He did want to spend more time with Briana, but he didn’t want to spend any time with Brian Kinney. That man was always the stumbling block.

“We’re having a party closing night of my show. You could come to that,” Justin offered.

“Could I?”

Justin wasn’t sure how his father meant that question. Was he asking if Justin was really serious that Craig should attend? Or was he asking if Brian would allow it? Or was he asking Justin to persuade him to come to the party? Whatever the question, Justin decided on his answer. “Sure,” he said.

“I’ll … think about it,” was Craig’s non-committal answer.

Justin dipped his head and turned to walk away.

“Daddy,” Bree said, slowly approaching carrying a glass of punch. “Gus said I should bring you this.” She carefully extended the glass to her father.

“Thanks, sweetheart, I was getting thirsty.”

Bree bobbed her head. “Me too. It’s hot in here.”

Justin smiled at his precocious daughter and took a sip of the punch. It did taste good.

“Gampa,” Bree said. “You thirsty? I get you punch.”

“That … that would be lovely, Bree. Thank you.”

Bree skipped back across the room. Justin and Craig watched her instruct her brother to get her another glass of punch.

“She’s really something,” Craig said.

“Yep,” Justin agreed.

“You’ve done wonders with her.”

“She’s also Brian’s daughter, Dad,” Justin felt obliged to add. “He has a lot to do with how she’s turned out.”

Craig slowly shook his head. Brian Kinney would always be a bone of contention between them. Craig saw him as a sexual predator who had corrupted his young son, and Justin saw Brian as a kind and generous man with whom he had built a life and had a family. The two opposing views of the same man showed no signs of merging any closer.

“I better get back to my public,” Justin said as Bree returned with punch for her grandfather.

Craig took the glass from Bree and sipped. “Did you get some punch for yourself, Bree?”

“Yeah, Gus gave me some first.”

“Gus, that’s your half-brother,” Craig observed glancing over at the young lad who looked so much like his father.

“No, Gampa,” Bree said seriously. “Gus is my whole brother. I love all of him and he loves of all of me.”

And there was no more to say about that.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 13





For the rest of the “Seasons” week, Justin stayed in Pittsburgh at the loft. Brian commuted back and forth for each mini opening bringing with him, his clothing suggestions for Justin and in general, spreading his good cheer. NOT! Brian was miserable without Justin but instead of making everyone around him miserable, Brian decided to suck it up, no pun intended, be the supportive spouse and not complain, much.

“Sunshine, before your next extravaganza, can we hide away for a few days, just the two of us?” Brian asked as he stood at the bathroom sink, shaving.

“Don’t you mean the three of us?” Justin asked as he prepared their shower.

“No, I’m going to be very selfish and ask John and Bobby to take care of the Squirt when this is all over. Then I’m going to chain you to the bed and fuck you senseless for three days.”

“Very lofty ideas,” Justin quipped as he held open the shower door for Brian.

“Goes well with our lofty bed,” Brian added as he pushed Justin under the warm spray, kissed him silly then thoroughly fucked him.

Very relaxed and sated men left the bathroom to get ready for the last night of the “Seasons” gala opening.



*****



“Ladies and gentlemen, the Sidney Bloom gallery is proud to present, Justin Taylor’s “Seasons!” Sidney announced loudly and proudly to the invited critics and guests. The house lights slowly grew brighter, as all four sections of the revolving display began to rotate, revealing all four Seasons. A wild applause threatened to shake the rafters as Justin’s latest artistic endeavors were favorably received.

As critics, reporters, photographers and well wishers again flocked to Justin’s side in competition for Justin’s attentions, Brian, Emmett and Gus were having a private tête-à-tête.

“Is everything ready?” Brian asked, scanning the long buffet table that was covered from stem to stern with all manner of delicacy. Fall flowers expertly graced the center display which mainly consisted of the wide flat panel monitor.

“It’s all ready, Pop!” Gus answered for them both. “You just give the word and I’ll run the program.”

“I’d give it about an hour before the crowd moseys on over here,” Emmett added. Brian deferred to the experienced event planner. If Emmett said an hour then an hour it would be.

“Sidney give you any grief?” Brian queried his son.

“Nope. Mom mumbled something about earning money to buy myself the car of my dreams and Sidney was cool. It wasn’t really a lie, either. Emmett is paying me.” Brian turned his hard gaze at Emmett.

“Look, this is a major event for all of us. Gus is a big strong kid, even if he is a little on the skinny side.” Emmett paused to poignantly eye the forever svelte Kinney men. “He needs the money and I needed the help. These hands are made for creating delicate morsels, not toting that barge or lifting that bale,” Emmett said dramatically as he waved his hands in the air.

A matching set of eyebrows arched, eliciting giggles from their tall queenly friend.

“Come on, you two, let’s go watch our little Mary Sunshine glow,” Emmett counseled as the Kinney men walked toward the main gallery to watch the night unfold.



*****



Most of the Liberty Avenue family had reappeared for the closing night of Justin’s Seasons unveiling. They were all impressed, as it seemed were all the other attendees, critics and art connoisseurs alike. Several of the paintings already had “sold” stickers on them.

Justin had been corralled by the art critic of the Pittsburgh Dispatch.

“Our readers always want to know what your next project is,” the fawning and definitely annoying man asked Justin.

“I have a couple of ideas in the works,” Justin said being decidedly non-committal. He wasn’t going to tell this guy anything.

“Anything you’d care to share with your fans?”

“No, not at the moment.” Couldn’t this guy get the message that Justin didn’t want to talk about his new work, especially since he didn’t know what he was going to do with his Fractal piece.

The critic frowned and showed his displeasure with Justin’s answer. He drew in a breath and asked, “So, Mr. Taylor, what was the inspiration for this show?”

“Um … the Seasons,” Justin said with a shrug. How was one supposed to answer such an inane question?

“Yes, of course, but there must have been other inspiration involved,” the man probed.

“We have beautiful gardens around our home,” Justin said honestly. “And lots of snow last winter, and my husband and daughter, of course.”

“Yes, they appear in several of your paintings. Your husband is a very handsome man,” the guy observed with a creepy grin.

“Yes he is.”

“Have you been together for long?”

“Very,” Justin said.

“Sounds like there might be trouble in paradise,” the critic joked. At least the man seemed to think it was a joke by his weird giggle.

“Not at all,” Justin said hastily. He wished this guy would go away and leave him alone. The man was weirding him out.

“Would you mind if I spoke to that handsome husband of yours?”

Justin stared at the man. He was obviously gay … and obnoxious to boot. “I’m not sure he’ll talk to you, but you could try.”

“He’ll talk to me,” the critic said confidently. “I have my ways.”

“I just bet you do,” Justin muttered as the man headed for Brian. Justin felt slightly bad about siccing the obnoxious man on his husband … but only very slightly. Justin was glad to see the hind end of the annoying man and his stupid questions.

“Mr. Kinney, isn’t it?” the obsequious critic said to Brian, interrupting Brian’s conversation with Sidney. Brian had been telling Sidney that he was looking forward to having Justin back at home with no more required appearances, at least for a while.

“Yes, and you are…?” Brian asked arching his brow.

“Seymour Finkelstein, art critic for the Pittsburgh Dispatch,” the man replied holding out a limp wristed arm for Brian to shake.

Brian wanted to “dispatch’ the man immediately, but he thought he better be nice to the art critic for Justin’s sake. He shook the cold, clammy hand that had been extended. “What can I do for you, Mr. Finkelstein?”

“I’m sure there’s many things you could do for me,” Seymour said doing some of his best flirting. “But please, call me Seymour. It’s much easier to pronounce.” Brian nodded and waited for the man to get to the point. He was sure he was being propositioned, but he refused to even let that thought cross his mind. “Mr. Taylor tells me that you were an inspiration for his Seasons collection.” Brian nodded again. “I can certainly see how you could inspire.”

Brian frowned. This guy was beyond annoying. Brian wondered if Justin had sent the old queen over to him to get rid of him. “Is there a point to all of this?” Brian asked.

“I was wondering how it felt to be someone’s muse?” Seymour asked.

Brian winced. “I’m no one’s muse,” Brian spat out. That word reminded him of one person that he did not care to think about ever again. “I prefer to think of myself as Mr. Taylor’s husband.”

“Of course, for as long as it lasts,” Seymour said with a laugh.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Brian felt his temper rise. He wondered what Justin had said to this man.

“Oh, nothing just an observation,” Seymour said quickly. Obviously there was something going on in this relationship that neither man wanted to talk about if he knew the signs, and Seymour was sure he did.

“I think I’ve said enough,” Brian replied and turned to walk away.

Seymour thought he just might have stumbled upon a nice piece of gossip to include in his review of Justin Taylor’s show.



*****



“What did you say to that asshole?” Brian asked coming up behind Justin.

“As little as I could,” Justin replied, knowing immediately who Brian was talking about. “He’s an annoying piece of shit.”

“You got that right,” Brian agreed. “I need a drink and a shower after talking to him.”

“I’ll get you the drink, but the shower will have to wait.”

“Or we could run away to the loft, and I could fuck you in said shower,” Brian suggested.

“You just did,” Justin giggled.

“And what’s wrong with a repeat performance.”

“Nothing, nothing at all,” Justin said touching Brian’s cheek. “Let’s get that drink.”



*****



“I think Bree and Patrick are getting bored,” John said watching the children. “They already did this a week ago.”

“I know, but Brian wants them here for something that’s going to happen … soon,” Bobby said looking at his watch.

“I wish he’d fill us in on his plans ahead of time,” John griped.

“Me too, but you know your brother, ever the ad man. He likes to make a big splash with his surprises.”

“Yeah, if they come off the way he wants them too. Seems to me that I’ve had to rescue him a time or two.”

“That you have. HeĀ’s lucky you’ve been there,” Bobby said bumping John’s shoulder affectionately.

“Yes he is, and I’m lucky to have him too.”



*****



“Great show, Justin,” Michael said walking up to Brian and Justin who each had a drink in hand.

“Thanks, Michael, I’m really pleased with the response.”

“And almost all the family is here.”

“Yeah, who needs art lovers when you have the family?” Justin teased.

“You have lots of fans too,” Ben added.

“Thanks, Ben, but I’ll be glad when all this hoopla is over and we can get back to normal.”

“I bet Brian will be happy too,” Michael observed with a look at his best friend. “Maybe then he won’t be so grouchy.”

“I’m not grouchy,” Brian declared.

“You? No, never,” Michael laughed.

“Don’t you have some other people to annoy?” Brian asked good-humoredly.

“No, just you,” Michael chuckled.



*****



“Justin, your pieces are wonderful,” Molly said as she kissed her brother’s cheek.

“Thanks. It’s good to see you and Owen.”

“I know. We’ve been so busy lately. We should do lunch or dinner or something.”

“Yeah, Molly’s a going concern,” Owen said.

“Is all well with you two?”

“Just great,” Molly said. “Where’s Brian?”

“He’s around here somewhere.”

“You look a bit tired, Justin. Have you been working too hard?”

“Brian would say so,” Justin admitted. “I have had a lot to do this last while, and I don’t much like being on public display like this.”

“You handle it very well,” Owen told his brother-in-law.

“Thanks, but it’s all a façade.”

“Glitter and shine,” Molly laughed.



*****



Emmett began to give Brian the eye and sure enough, an hour had passed. The gallery visitors began their slow meandering over to the buffet table to answer the siren song of Emmett’s canapes.

“Sonny Boy, go start up the program and remember no sound for now. If there’s enough interest you can start it from the beginning with the music,” Brian said with a wink to his co-conspirator.

“Okay, Pop!” Gus whispered back with a wink of his own. Gus nonchalantly made his way to the buffet table.

“What’s he doing?” Lindsay asked, as she spied father and son in the huddle. Brian jumped slightly, caught unaware of her approach.

“Oh nothing,” Brian said trying to look innocent and failing miserably.

“Brian Kinney, what are you and Gus up to?” Lindsay asked sternly. Not only was this show very important to Sidney and Justin but to Lindsay as well. It was her suggestion to use the revolving display easels and to space out the Seasons. And after the Cole debacle, Lindsay was a little overprotective of her son. She did not want him involved in anything sneaky. Which seemed to be happening at the moment.

“Lindz, I promise you, nothing bad is going to happen,” Brian reassured the mother of his son then he gently pushed her in the opposite direction toward the slimy critic. “I hope,” he muttered to himself when Lindsay was out of earshot.

“Hi Mr. Kinney!” Troi` and Tre` said as they sashayed up to Brian.

“Well, if it isn’t the Bopsey twins,” Brian gently snarked making the twins giggle. “And just in time, we’re about to unleash our little surprise. Why don’t you go to the buffet table and help yourselves to some of Emmett’s creations? When your project has garnered enough curiosity, we’ll announce it.”

Twin smiling faces shone up at Brian then twin heads nodded. Brian admired the twin shapely asses that swished their way over to the table.

“Regretting our commitment?” Justin asked casually as he sidled up to his spouse, admiring the same view. In a flowing movement, Brian raised his arm to accommodate Justin then held him close.

“Never. But what is that old expression I’ve heard many hets use? I may be married but I’m not dead. I can admire from afar, Sunshine.”

“Just from afar?” Justin asked pensively. “You could, you know, if you really wanted to. I would never know.”

“But I would and it’s not worth it. Your twins are delicious looking morsels like Emmett’s creations. Pleasing to look at, very appetizing, but too much of a good thing can be hazardous to one’s health. I have everything I ever wanted right here. I need no other canapés.”

Justin beamed his sunniest smile at his spouse.

“But a guy can dream, can’t he?” Brian was quick to add, getting an elbow to his ribs and the sound of Justin’s laughter.

“I love you, Brian Kinney-Taylor.”

“And I love you, Justin Taylor-Kinney.” The lover’s kissed as Gus approached them.

“Eiw, Pop! Get a room,” Gus whined then laughed at his dad’s public display of affection.

“How’s it going over there, Sonny Boy?”

“We’re getting quite a crowd. The twins have been filling me in on the who’s who of the art world....”

Brian arched his brow. Gus gave him a confused look then waves of understanding hit him.

“Um, that would be a big ‘N-O,’ Pop. Those guys are into sharing if you know what I mean. They were just explaining which reporter or critic would be more interested in the Fractal movie than others. See that wimpy guy over there?” Gus indicated the annoying, slimy, supposed art reporter who was more interested in the gossip column than anything else.

“What about him?” Justin asked.

“Troi` said, or was it Tre`, I can’t tell them apart. Anyway, he wouldn’t know what a fractal was if it bit him on the ass. The only reason he’s the art reporter for the “Dispatch” is because he had taken art classes in college and the original reporter who was his uncle retired to Key West a few years ago.”

“Well that explains it,” Brian snarked.

“See that tall guy in the dark grey suit,” Gus subtly pointed.

“Mmm,” Brian purred as he regarded the distinguished gentleman.

“Straight as an arrow, Pop.”

“Arrows can be bent, Sonny Boy.” Gus and Justin rolled their eyes. “What about him?”

“He’s from the “Times.” I overheard him say that he thinks Justin’s stuff is refreshing. Didn’t matter to him the subject matter. He even likes your Rage stuff. He was talking to ‘slimy’ about it and it occurred to me that even though he’s straight, he gets it. It’s not about the sex; it’s about the human right to exist. And he’s starting to get curious about the images on the screen.”

“Bri, maybe it’s time,” Justin said with a slight tremble to his voice. His butterflies had come back with a vengeance. Brian leaned down to plant a kiss.

“Leave it to me, Sunshine. Gus, get ready to run the full program.”

“Just say when, Pop!”

Brian gave a sly smile then went to have a quiet word with Emmett.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Fractalized

Chapter 14





“A-hem! Ladies and Gentlemen, may I have your attention,” Emmett, ever the showman, began.

Sidney was quickly at his side, scowling. “What are you doing?” Sidney growled then smiled sweetly at all assembled.

“You’ll see,” Emmett whispered then gave Sidney a gentle hip check. “Thank you, Sidney, for your vote of confidence and for allowing me to explain our little buffet table display.” Emmett made a sweeping motion with his hand toward the buffet table. The monitor had gone dark, only a screensaver with the Bloom Gallery logo was showing.

“The Sidney Bloom Gallery and Emmett’s Event Planning is always proud to present the new, the hip and the innovative, such as tonight’s little added bonus. A special feature inspired by Justin Taylor’s art and created by Justin Taylor, Tre` and Troi` Donahue and Gus Peterson-Marcus-Kinney. Oh my, that was a mouthful.” Emmett giggled as did many in the audience.

“If you would please direct your attention to the monitor,” Emmett indicated the table.
“When!” Brian whispered to Gus who was in the utility closet. The main computer was set up there. Gus clicked run program then increased the volume. The gallery became silent as the opening scene now played with its accompanying music.

The audience all followed the butterfly on its flight through Brian’s gardens. As it lit on a sunflower, the sunflower morphed into Justin’s painting of the flower which was on display in the Summer section, then the painting morphed into the fractal. The journey of the butterfly through the garden changed as did the seasons. When it was obviously too cold for the butterfly to exist, the audience was treated to a small bird winging its way, looking for leftover seeds, landing on the Fall season plants. They watched as snowflakes morphed into fractals, as did one of Bree's snowmen. Image after image of what Mother Nature had created was transformed into a Justin Taylor image then into its fractal form. Representations of other holiday icons morphed into their corresponding fractals as well.

As the video ended the credits began to roll. Included in the credits were the twins, Gus and a special dedication to Brian and Briana. The gallery became so quiet that Justin began to sweat at the thought that the project he had slaved over and nearly ruined his marriage for, had flopped.

“Way to go, Sunshine!” Debbie said with a loud ‘ya hoo’ that spurred the crowd into action. A rousing round of applause threatened to shake the walls, and the appreciative critics battled their way back to the artist.

Brian stood near the utility closet that Gus was still hiding in as he supervised the computer programs. Gus quickly switched back to the abridged and ‘looped’ program that had been running throughout the night. Gus put the flashstick into his pocket for safekeeping then slipped out of the closet.

“You did good, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he hugged his son.

“You did too, Pop.”

“We took a chance,” Brian began.

“Yes, you did, a big chance,” Lindsay interrupted. She was angry. “You’re both lucky they loved the film or you could have irreparably damaged Justin’s career.”

Brian and Gus became silent as they each gave Lindsay a contrite look.

“What am I going to do with you two?” Lindsay asked as she scanned both their faces. She was treated to matching puppy dog eyes.

“Love us?” Brian asked softly with a shrug of his shoulders. Gus stood close to his dad awaiting his fate.

“Of course, I love you,” Lindsay said as she hugged her two favorite men. “But, Brian, don’t ever do anything like this again.” Brian gave Lindsay that look telling her he was making no promises.

“Scout’s honor,” Brian said with a smirk, holding up his hand with a middle finger salute. Lindsay gave Brian a kiss.

“As for you…” Lindsay turned her gaze toward her son. Gus tried to hide behind his father but Brian sidestepped. “You did the photography?”

“Yes,” Gus said meekly.

“Hmm,” was all that Lindsay would say. “Brian, he should be...”

“Working on his portfolio. I know, Lindz. And he should submit it to...”

“PIFA, I agree.”

“Mom! Dad! What the hell are you both talking about?” The banter between his mother and father was faster than a tennis match.

“Your future,” Brian said quickly.

“We’ll discuss it later, lambskin. For now, let’s get out there. I’m sure there are many people waiting to speak with you.” Lindsay and Brian guided their slightly confused son back toward the main gallery.



*****



Finally the last night of the opening for Justin’s show had reached its natural conclusion. It was time for Brian Kinney and all his invited guests to make their way over to Emmett’s Place Too for the party that Brian and Emmett had plotted and designed.

“Closed for a Private Party” the sign on the door to restaurant stated. Emmett unlocked the door with his key and Brian, Justin, Gus and Briana followed him inside.

“Wow!” Gus said looking around. There were balloons all over the place in a rainbow of colors.

“Pretty, Daddy,” Bree said to Justin who was walking beside her.

“Tell your Dada that. He’s responsible for all this,” Justin informed Bree.

Bree let go of her Daddy’s hand and ran over to Brian. “Dada, I like it,” she said with a big smile.

“Ah, I have the Squirt Seal of Approval. All is well in the universe,” Brian said lifting her up for a kiss.

“Silly, Dada,” Bree giggled as she kissed his cheek. “Are you going to give Gus my present?”

“Sh, it’s on his cake. Don’t tell anybody. But I’ll be sure to tell Gus who it’s from.”

“’Kay, Dada.”

Brian set his daughter down and went to check on things with Emmett.

Soon the family was assembled, most of them finding seats at tables in small groups. Emmett had a couple of servers who made sure everyone had drinks. They also carried around trays of canapés much like the ones that had been served at the art gallery. Everyone chatted and enjoyed themselves.

John made his way over to his brother who was holding up the bar. “Are you going to sit down with us and have some food?” he asked with a stern look on his face.

“No.”

“What do you mean? No?” John asked clearly not pleased.

“Don’t get your balls in a twist, big bro’,” Brian said quickly, when he saw the look on John’s face. “I’m going to be speechifying in just a few minutes. I’ll sit after that.”

“Okay then.”

“Go back and enjoy yourself. Keep Justin occupied so he doesn’t get suspicious.”

“Suspicious of what?” John asked.

“I have a little surprise for him.”

“What are you cooking up?”

“It’s already cooked,” Brian chuckled.

“Are you going to tell me?”

“No.”

“I could learn to detest that word.”

“I want you to be surprised along with everybody else.”

“Haven’t you made enough surprises for one day?” John asked referring to the displaying of Justin’s Fractal project at the gallery.

“Not quite,” Brian smirked.

John shook his head. “You’re incorrigible.” Brian raised a brow but didn’t deny John’s words. “Oh, I wanted to ask you about something before I forget.”

“What’s that?”

“Did you talk to some slimy little fart of an art critic named Seymour Finkel-something-or-other tonight?”

“Yeah, why?”

“He cornered me as we were getting ready to leave the gallery.”

“So?”

“I didn’t like his questions.”

“Neither did I,” Brian said. “What was he asking you?”

“Someone told him that I was your brother.”

Brian snorted. “As if they wouldn’t know that just by looking at you.”

“Anyway,” John chuckled. “This creep starts asking me if you and Justin are having problems.”

“Fuck!” Brian muttered. “What is that asshole trying to do?”

“I don’t know,” John said with a frown. “I told him absolutely not.”

“Did he buy it?”

John shook his head. “If he had, I wouldn’t have bothered mentioning it to you. But he kept asking the same question over and over again, just phrasing it differently. It was like he thought he already knew something and wanted me to verify it.”

“Fucking asshole!” Brian stated. “I should have thrown his sorry ass out of the gallery. He tried to pull the same thing with me.”

“What good would it do him?”

“Well, he was hitting on me,” Brian said with disgust. “Maybe he thought that if Justin and I were in trouble, he’d have a chance.”

“Eiw,” John said crinkling his nose. “That’s disgusting. He’s disgusting.”

“You got that right. He makes me feel the need to bathe when I’m within ten feet of him. I take it that you didn’t give him any hope.”

“Christ, no!” John said in horror.

“Forget the little weasel,” Brian advised. “Hopefully we’ll never see him again.”

“And that will still be one time too many,” John said, before he went back to sit with Justin and the family.



*****



“Curtis, want to sit with us?” Gus asked his friend who had just come in with Dr. Raph and Hector.

“Sure,” Curtis said with a smile. He felt funny with all these people he barely knew. He was glad Gus asked him to join their table.

“I could use some testosterone around me,” Gus laughed. “Usually I’m surrounded by wall to wall women.”

“Hey!” both his mothers said at the same time. JR laughed.

“May we join you too?” Raph asked Melanie.

“Please do,” Melanie replied. “I didn’t know you were going to be here tonight.”

“Brian has a wee bit of a surprise that I’m involved in,” Raph said with a wink.

“Oh shit!” Melanie gasped. “He’s not getting Gus a dog, is he?”

Raph and Hector laughed. “No, nothing like that.”

“Then what?” Melanie demanded.

“Can’t tell. It’s a surprise,” Hector chuckled. Raph nodded in agreement. Curtis merely grinned.

Melanie shrugged. “How’s the new family going?”

“Just fine,” Hector said enthusiastically.

“It’s great,” Curtis verified.

“Wait till you want something and your dads tell you no,” Gus teased.

“That will never happen,” Curtis replied trying to keep a straight face.

“I beg your pardon, young man,” Raph said sternly.

“Just kidding, Daaad,” Curtis laughed. “He’s so easy,” Curtis whispered to Gus.

“You just wait,” Raph chuckled. “That response of no to something you want may be just around the corner.”

“Child abuse,” Curtis giggled. “Ms. Marcus, isn’t that child abuse?”

“Sounds like a normal family to me,” Melanie laughed. “Right, Gus?”

“Yeah,” Gus said shaking his head. “Get used to it, Curtis.”



*****



Brian gave Raph and his other co-conspirators, the high sign. It was almost time for the surprises to begin. He had a quick word with Emmett.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Brian said in his most authoritative voice. “And I use those terms loosely.” The assembled group quieted down and laughed at Brian’s feeble attempt at a joke.

“Don’t get all hoity-toity on us, kiddo,” Debbie laughed. “We’re just common folk.”

“Very common,” Brian retorted receiving more laughter. “But enough insults.”

“You always say there’s never enough,” Michael called out.

“True, but we have more important things to do at the moment than resort to a battle of insults.” Everyone stopped and listened. “As you all know, this has been quite a week. There’s a lot happening in this family.”

“Got that right,” Carl called out.

“There’s always something happening with this bunch,” Ted agreed. “It wouldn’t be our family if there wasn’t.”

“When did I lose control of this party?” Brian asked looking up to the ceiling for divine guidance.

“You never had control,” Justin said to everyone’s laughter.

“Could I please get back on track? We have youngsters who need their rest.”

“I’m not tired at all,” Hunter yelled from the back of the room. That earned him some laughs and a swat from Nick.

“Ahem,” Brian tried again, ignoring Hunter. “I would like to start by welcoming a new member to our extended, and may I say, cwazy widdle family.”

“I guess we’ll let you say that, honey,” Emmett said, “but watch the crazy cracks.”

“The truth hurts, doesn’t it, Honeycutt?”

“Maybe just a tad,” Emmett laughed. “And don’t call me Honeycutt.”

Brian let out a long suffering sigh. “If I may continue? Most of you know Raph and Hector, but some of you have yet to meet their newly adopted son, Curtis Samuels. I’d like to welcome Curtis to our family, although why anyone would want to join this unruly group, I’ll never comprehend. Would you three come up here?”

Raph, Hector and Curtis made their way to the front to stand beside Brian. Raph acted as spokesman.

“I got to know a lot of you when we were snowed in last Christmas. It was the best disaster that ever happened to me. Thank you all for welcoming Hector and I into your wonderful family, and I hope you’ll do the same for our new son. We’re very proud of Curtis.”

There was warm applause and well wishes. Curtis smiled at the nice reception. He hadn’t bargained for anything like this when he said he wanted to be adopted.

“We had this framed for our new son,” Hector said. He held up a framed certificate. “It’s your official certificate of adoption.” Curtis gave both his fathers warm hugs as those assembled applauded.

“Let there be cake,” Brian commanded.

A cake was rolled out by one of Emmett’s servers. It had chocolate icing with a little house sitting on top, and the words Welcome to the Family.

“Thanks, Mr. Kinney,” Curtis said with a big smile.

“You’re very welcome, Curtis,” Brian said.

“Let’s have some cake,” Debbie called out.

“Not yet,” Brian said raising his hand to quiet the group. “I have another presentation.” When everyone settled down, Brian said, “This week my son turns seventeen.” Brian waited expecting some crack about his age. Everyone restrained themselves however. “He’s a great kid. I couldn’t ask for better. Gus come up here and get your cake.”

Gus walked up to stand beside his father. “Thanks, Pop,” he said and hugged Brian.

“You’re very welcome. Look at your cake.”

Gus looked as the next cake covered with white icing was wheeled in. It had a Happy Birthday, Gus, inscription and a tiny Porsche Hot Wheels car on top. “That’s cruel, Pop,” Gus laughed.

“Gus has been asking for a car, but he doesn’t even have a license yet. No car for you, Sonny Boy, but Bree wanted to get you one, so there you have it,” Brian said gesturing to the cake.

“Thanks for trying, Bree,” Gus said to his sister.

“You’re welcome, Gus,” Bree giggled.

“Now can we eat the cake?” Debbie asked.

“No,” Brian replied. Debbie let out a loud groan. “We have one more presentation. My husband and artist extraordinaire, Justin Taylor, would you join me up here?”

Justin slowly made his way to Brian. “What are you doing?”

“Celebrating the success of your wonderful show and your Fractal movie, and the genius you have inside you. It never ceases to amaze me.”

Brian leaned over and kissed his husband warmly. Justin responded as he always did to Brian’s kisses.

“Hey, you have an audience,” Ben called to them.

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” Justin giggled.

Brian gave him the raised brow before saying, “Let there be more cake.”

The last cake to be wheeled out had sunshine yellow icing with a miniature easel on top and the words: Congratulations, Sunshine. Everyone applauded enthusiastically.

“Now you may eat cake,” Brian told the assembled throng. “Curtis’ is chocolate, Gus’ is vanilla and my Sunshine’s is lemon. Take your pick.”

The servers and Emmett stood ready to carve up the cakes, as people lined up to get their favorite flavor.

“Did you like my car?” Bree asked as she patted Gus’ arm.

“That was great, Bree. But I’m still hoping for a real one of those someday.”

“Someday being the operative word,” Brian chuckled.

“Very mean, Pop, but I love you anyway,” Gus responded.

“I love you too, Sonny Boy. Happy birthday.”

“From me too, Gus,” Justin added.

“And me,” Bree said.

“You do throw a great party, Pop.”

“Yes, I do, don’t I?” Brian said with his nose in the air. “Go get some cake, and get some for your sister,” Brian added returning to his normal demeanor. Gus took Bree’s hand and led her over to the cake lines, asking her which kind she wanted.

“Gus is a great kid, and we do have a wonderful family,” Justin said laying his head on Brian’s shoulder, and looking out at the family laughing and talking and wishing Gus and Curtis well.

“I have to admit they do have their moments,” Brian smirked.

“You know you love them all.”

“Maybe,” Brian admitted. “And the numbers just keep growing.”

“There’s always room for one more in that big heart of yours,” Justin whispered.

Brian smiled as he looked into Justin’s eyes. “Let’s just keep the size of my heart between the two of us.”

Justin smiled back. “That secret’s been out for a long time. You’re the only one who doesn’t know it is.” Justin stood on his tiptoes and captured Brian’s lip in a warm and tender kiss. No one had a bigger heart than Brian Kinney, at least in Justin’s estimation.

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1018