Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3 by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

 

Some more tests of various forms face our Sunshine Family.

 

Story #34 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 35827 Read: 28818 Published: Jun 14, 2017 Updated: Jun 14, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

 

 

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 1





Brian pulled out of Justin with a loud grunt then collapsed onto the younger man below him.

The “Seasons” week had come to a triumphant conclusion the previous night. The exhibition of Justin’s paintings would stay at the Bloom Gallery for at least the next six months. Sidney was not quite sure what to do with the Fractal movie, but Justin and Sidney had plans to discuss it further Monday afternoon. As Brian promised, he had plans to fuck Justin for the next three days.

“Damn, Sunshine,” Brian panted, “that was fucking hot!”

The lovers went back to the loft immediately following the party at Emmett’s Place Too, which was also quite a triumph’ much to Brian’s satisfaction.

Bree had noted how much happier her daddies were while they were together and in the comforting arms of their vast family. Briana was growing tired of a grumpy Dada and of a Daddy that ignored them. The astute little girl put two and two together and came up with, “My daddies need alone time!”

Princess Briana had spoken, so John checked them all in at The Plaza for the night to give the lovers their time alone.

“Yes, it was,” Justin agreed smugly with a sultry grin as he patted Brian’s sweaty back. "One of our top ten.”

“We haven’t had many of those lately,” Brian said gently not wanting to ruin the moment but needing to express his feelings.

“I’m sorry, Bri,” Justin whispered. He knew he had neglected Brian and Bree for most of August and September. “And before you say it, it’s not always bullshit. There were plenty of times when you’ve had to fly off somewhere because of work. This is no different.”

Brian remained quiet as he reflected upon what Justin said, and he knew Justin was completely within his rights. In the past, Brian had always flown off or traveled somewhere when he was trying to get Kinnetik off the ground. It was business. The Kinney name was on the door and nothing, not even Justin, was able to stop Brian. This was no different.

Brian was about to roll off of Justin when he realized they were both rather sticky. Their combined fluids were drying and they were about to be glued to each other. Brian got up off the loft bed then extended his hand out to Justin.

“Come on, Sunshine. We stink. We need a shower.”

Justin smiled softly as he took Brian’s hand. “Brian...”

“You’re right, Justin. You’re always right.”

“Not always,” Justin said as he opened the shower door. The lovers took their time bathing each other and loving each other.

“Bri, how old am I?” Brian arched his brow at the inane question. “Humor me.”

“You’re thirty-five.”

“And at thirty-five, what were you doing?”

“Besides fucking you, making sure Kinnetik was well established.”

“Right and at forty?”

“Marrying you and launching Part Deux.”

“Right again. But you didn’t do it alone, did you?”

“No, of course not. I had Cynthia and Ted and Scott. I still have them.”

“Give the man a cigar! You chose your people carefully. You groomed them and mentored them so that you can follow other pursuits, such as Babylon and the clinic project.”

“Is there a point to the “This is Your Life Brian Kinney Show”?”

“Yes, at my age you were established and you worked fucking hard to get there. And you had the best of help to do it. But my career is my career. I don’t have the luxury of anyone who can take over for me. There isn’t anyone to take over a painting or stand there during a meet and greet. You can’t have it both ways.”

Brian took a soapy sponge, gently running it over his lover’s body.

“I have been very selfish, haven’t I,” Brian admitted.

“Maybe a little. If it was just the two of us I think you could cope.”

“But it’s not just the two of us, is it?”

“No, we have Bree to consider. She starts to whine, stamps her little feet because one of us doesn’t snap to her wishes and then you go off the deep end. I’m not placing blame, Bri. It is what it is. Bree gets lonely or disappointed, goes to you and reminds you that you’re lonely too. You react the only way you know how.”

“By trying to distract you from your projects. I’m some fucking asshole.”

“Maybe, but you’re my asshole. And I love you so very much.” Justin reached up to kiss Brian. “I want you,” Justin whispered against Brian’s lips. He felt Brian’s smile just before Brian turned to face the wall. Brian scrunched down to accommodate Justin, spreading his long legs as he felt the familiar burn when Justin entered him.

“Oh yeah,” Brian murmured holding on as best he could to the tiles. Justin knew this was a very precarious position for his lover especially in a slippery shower so he angled himself to make every thrust hit its mark. Soon Brian was splashing the tiles with cum. Justin gently withdrew, rinsed them both off then led his spent lover out of the shower.

“It only gets better and better, Sunshine,” Brian cooed as Justin dried him then took him back to bed.

“Yes, it does and I promise, Bri, I’ll make it up to you and Bree,” Justin vowed as the sated lovers snuggled together and went to sleep.



*****



“Justin, my boy! So good of you to come over,” Sidney gushed. His phone had been ringing off the hook for the whole weekend. Critics were clambering for interviews. Galleries were all vying for Justin Taylor paintings to show.

Brian and Justin had been sequestered for the weekend. They had fucked and sucked the whole time, stopping only for food, water and the occasional shower. They looked (and felt) quite well fucked as they entered the gallery Monday afternoon.

Before Justin had a chance to ask, Sidney led the couple to a flat panel TV monitor on a far wall. The credits of the Fractal movie were just starting to roll.

“I have it playing once every two hours,” Sidney said proudly. “It’s getting a most favorable reaction as well as the Seasons exhibit. Now I know you both must be very tired and want to be on your way back home so I won’t keep you, but I have something for you,” Sidney said with much enthusiasm. “Stay here a minute.”

Brian and Justin watched with amusement as Sidney scurried into his office then quickly emerged with a stack of newspapers and magazines.

“Take these with you; I have copies,” Sidney said as he thrust the stack into Justin’s hands. “I am so proud of you,” Sidney gushed again as he ran back into his office to answer the phone.

Brian and Justin gave each other an incredulous look, as Brian helped Justin with the unruly stack of papers that threatened to fall out of Justin’s arms.

“Let’s go to the diner for lunch before we head back to the cottage. We can read some of these while we eat,” Brian suggested.



*****



“Got enough food on your plate there, Sunshine?” Brian asked in awe of the mound of food that was piled high on Justin’s plate.

“Brian, I must have lost five pounds this weekend,” Justin said trying to pout around a pickle.

“Now, you probably gained back five pounds and you still have more to go,” Brian growled. He knew that Justin had a tendency to lose weight before a show and when he was so worked up about a project.

“So stop your bitching and pass me another paper,” Justin demanded.

“Yes, dear,” Brian squawked as he slid over the “Dispatch.”

Justin took a bite from his sandwich and a big slurp of soda through his straw. He opened the paper to the Arts and Style section to see if there was a review. He was about to take another bite of pickle when his hand froze midway from the table to his mouth.

“What is it, Sunshine?” Brian asked as he noticed the lack of movement and pickle juice dripping onto the table. “Justin?” Brian said a little more forcefully.

Justin put down the pickle then cautiously slid the paper toward Brian. “Now, Brian, I don’t want you to become upset.”

“Upset? Why should I be upset about a less than favorable review by some asshole reporter who obviously doesn’t know genius when he sees it?”

“Oh, he liked the show.”

“Then what are you talking about?” Brian quickly scanned the article. “WHAT THE FUCK?!”

The whole diner became suddenly very quiet.



*****



“All right, Mr. Marcus-Peterson, your turn behind the wheel,” the instructor at Driver’s Ed said.

Gus smiled and changed places with Mary Lou, the girl who had been driving the car on the school course. “I’m ready,” he said as he buckled his seat belt. This was their first day behind the actual wheel of a car … in the Driver’s Ed course. Gus knew he had practiced a lot at the cottage and a bit with his mothers. He was sure he was way ahead of the other students because of that. He was ready to show the instructor exactly what he could do.

“Complete your checklist,” the instructor said.

Gus slid the seat back a little further to accommodate his legs which were considerably longer than Mary Lou’s. He made a cursory look in the rearview mirror and the side mirrors. “Ready,” he said.

“Put it in gear and take us straight down to the other end of the lot,” Mr. Rashki, Gus’ instructor directed him.

Gus put the car in drive and stepped on the gas. Everyone in the car was driven back against their seat, as the force of Gus’ action caused the car to peel rubber and the inhabitants to be slammed backwards. At the end of the course Gus slammed on the brakes and caused everyone to jerk forward.

“What do you think you’re doing, young man?” Mr. Rashki demanded, trying not to show his anger, and if the truth be known, his fright.

“Driving,” Gus said with a grin.

“You’re a long way away from a race course, young man,” Mr. Rashki declared. “And a long way away from your driver’s license if that was any indication of what having you on the roads will be like. Get in the back of this car … now!” he ordered.

Gus unbuckled his seat belt with a frown. “I … I was just kidding,” Gus said uncertainly. He had thought it would be fun to try the things he had done with Justin’s car when he was practising in the lane.

“A car is not the kind of thing that you kid around with,” Mr. Rashki said sternly. “I think we will have you sit out the next two lessons until you have contemplated the correct manner in which to conduct yourself in a motor vehicle.”

“But…” Gus tried to protest.

“Enough! Change places with Jerry, and maybe Jerry will be able to show you the proper method of driving a car.”

Gus got out as Jerry slid out of the back seat. He smirked at Gus and Gus wanted to flatten him. He knew he better not though. He quietly got in the back seat beside Mary Lou. She gave him a wan smile trying to be encouraging. Gus realized maybe he had made a big mistake.



*****



“Owen,” Sharon Brenner said to her husband as she walked into his office in the house. Owen Sr. mainly worked from home these days, although he kept a firm hold on the goings-on in his company.

“Yes, dear,” Owen replied.

“I was thinking that I’d like to have a dinner party.”

“Were you now?”

“Yes, and I think I would like to invite Molly and Owen and Jennifer and Seth, of course. And her brother and his family. We have never properly reciprocated their hospitality at Christmas time. I believe we should rectify that oversight immediately.”

“Hm, rectify the oversight,” Owen mused. “I’ve never heard a better reason for inviting people to dinner.”

“You know what I mean, dear. I just thought we could have a nice extended family get-together. It should be very pleasant.”

“And just how casual would this dinner be?” Owen asked, knowing how his wife’s mind worked.

“Not casual at all. We’ll have it in the formal dining room. I thought maybe a nice prime rib. I’ll work out the rest of the menu later.”

“I see,” Owen replied.

“You see what?” Sharon asked raising a perfectly plucked brow.

“You want to put on the dog for the rich executive and his artiste-of-the-moment husband.”

“I like to show off our lovely things. And I do know how to entertain,” Sharon said firmly.

“That goes without saying.”

“See,” Sharon said with a smile. “So, we’ll have a dinner party, let’s say on Thursday evening.”

“Sounds good to me,” Owen agreed. He usually did agree with his wife. It was always easier that way. “Will Sarah be attending?” he asked, referring to Sharon’s mother.

“That goes without saying,” Sharon repeated Owen’s words as she leaned down to give him a kiss before leaving the room.

With a smile Owen got back to his stock portfolio.



*****



“What does this little fucker think he’s playing at?” Brian demanded of the diner on Liberty.

“Brian, calm down, please,” Justin begged hoping to avert any more of a scene than the one his husband had already made.

“I will not calm down,” Brian spat, lowering his voice but still visibly incensed.

The diner turned their attention back to eating and Justin laid a hand on Brian’s to try to calm the man down further. “It’s just some stupid article,” Justin said gently.

“Yeah, in a major newspaper,” Brian reacted. “Who the fuck does that little weasel think he is? And what would possess him to write such a thing?”

“I don’t know, but it will all blow over in a few days. It’ll be old news and totally forgotten about,” Justin promised.

“I wish.”

“Hey,” a handsome young man in skintight leather pants said as he stopped at Brian and Justin’s table.

“Yes?” Justin said looking up at the man.

“If either of you is looking for some action, I’m available,” the guy said as he dropped a piece of paper on the table and headed for the washroom.

“He winked at me,” Brian said. “He fucking winked at me … after all these years.”

“He left us his number,” Justin giggled as he opened the folded piece of paper.

“I don’t fucking believe it! We’re being propositioned.”

“Just goes to show that you’ve still got it, big guy,” Justin said with his own wink, hoping to mollify his angry husband.

“Don’t you see, Justin? This is just the beginning. Everyone’s going to think that we…” Brian found it impossible to finish that statement.

“It won’t be that bad,” Justin said gently, hoping that he might be right.

“Just listen the fuck to this,” Brian stated looking at the newspaper again. He began reading from the review that Finkelstein had written in the Dispatch.

Although Justin Taylor’s new show is creative and cutting edge, it also reflects his values of family and home. It’s too bad that those values don’t translate into reality. This reporter learned to his chagrin at the opening of Taylor’s show, that there seems to be problems between the two handsome men in the Kinney-Taylor household. One can only conjecture that Mr. Taylor’s recent successes have caused a rift with his husband, who is a powerful and wealthy advertising executive. Although Mr. Kinney appeared at the opening, he kept his distance from Mr. Taylor most of the time. Except for a few perfunctory moments together, there was a noticeable distance between the two men who form one of Pittsburgh’s most well known and, may I say “hottest” couples. Looks like there’s trouble in paradise for these two.

“That fucking idiot!” Brian said at the end of his reading. “I’m going to wring his scrawny little neck.”

“Brian, calm, please. You know, and I know, that there’s nothing wrong between us, except for you being grumpy lately,” Justin said trying to inject a little humor.

Brian glared at him. “With good reason, may I remind you.”

“Point taken,” Justin said. “But you fucked me through the mattress this weekend. Surely that took some of the edge off.”

“Maybe…” Brian conceded.

“Really, it will be fine. Just let this thing die a natural death,” Justin said.

Brian was about to agree when the guy who had left his number on the piece of paper walked by. He turned to wink at them again and then added, “I wouldn’t mind a threesome.”

“Fuck!” Brian said.

“Fuck!” Justin had to agree.

“What the fuck is going on with you two?” Debbie demanded as she came through the front door of the diner. She was carrying a newspaper.

“Wake me up when this is over,” Brian groaned, closing his eyes and leaning his head against the back of the booth.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 2





“Auntie Rachel, when my daddies get home, will they be all better?” Bree asked her aunt who had picked up both Bree and Patrick from school. They were sitting quietly at Rachel’s kitchen table doing their homework and enjoying an afternoon snack.

“What do you mean by better?” Rachel asked.

“My Dada has been very grumpy and Daddy doesn’t seem to care,” the little girl pouted. Rachel had some grasp of the situation but she marveled at how perceptive the little girl was.

“I think they’ll be better when they get home,” Rachel assured her niece.

“That’s good.” Bree seemed to be satisfied, for the moment. The children continued to work on their assignments.



*****



“All hail the conquering hero!” Bobby called out as Brian and Justin came through their connecting door from the sun porch. Justin laughed and took a small bow. John and Bobby were preparing dinner for the Edna’s Treasures family that night.

“Dada! Daddy!” Bree screeched out. She ran into the waiting arms of her fathers.

“Baby girl!” Justin cried out at he scooped up his daughter into his arms for a long overdue hug. Brian gave them a moment before hugging both his blonds.

“Daddy, come see, I make you a special card for your show!” Bree pulled at Justin’s arm leading him toward her work table to show him her card.

“Go on, we have plenty of time before dinner,” John said happily. He was much relieved to see his brother and brother-in-law looking so relaxed. “I take it your little fuck-a-thon this weekend worked?” John asked Brian with a smirk.

“It did until we saw this.” Brian handed John the Dispatch article. “All of the reviews have been very favorable.”

“Justin must be riding high,” Bobby commented, as he thumbed through an art magazine which featured Justin on the front cover and a very encouraging article within.

“He is. All the critics were kind,” Brian confirmed.

“So what’s the problem?” Bobby asked.

“This,” John said as he handed his spouse the newspaper article. “Is this that slimy weasel we met on Saturday?” John pointed to the name in the byline.

“The one and only,” Brian said with a sneer.

“I can’t believe a few lines in the Arts and Style section will make any difference,” Bobby said. “He liked the show.”

“Yes, he liked the show but it’s what he inferred about us. We’ve already had a few propositions when we were having lunch at the diner. And Debbie was about to chew us a new one. Now if Debbie, who reads nothing but the obits and cuts out coupons, found the article and thought we’re having trouble, what will the rest of the Pitts think?”

John and Bobby huddled over the newspaper to re-read the article.

“Brian, I could call the editor. Just casually mention that you and Justin are displeased with the tone of the last part of the review. And to ask why an Art critic sounds more like a gossip columnist,” Bobby suggested. “I am your lawyer; I do represent your interests.”

“Maybe. My first reaction was to strangle the asshole but I restrained myself,” Brian boasted.

“You mean, Justin restrained you,” John snarked. Brian shrugged eliciting giggles from both men. “But Bobby does have a point. You and Justin are solid. That article is almost slanderous and if it’s already gotten you unwanted solicitations then I don’t think it should be ignored.”

Brian contemplated his brother’s advice as he helped to set the table for dinner. “I’ll talk it over with Justin tonight and let you know in the morning. I don’t want it to get any worse. And don’t say anything in front of the kids, especially the princess. I’ll never hear the end of it.”

John and Bobby agreed. There was no reason to worry the little ones.

“Dinner’s ready!” Bobby called out. Patrick came into the kitchen from his room, as Bree and Justin came in from the porch.



*****



“That was delicious, Bobby,” Justin said as everyone finished up their dinner. “My grandmother always said things tasted better when she didn’t have to cook them.”

“Smart woman,” Brian agreed.

“Thanks,” Bobby said getting up to start removing the dirty dishes.

“Hey, no dishes for you,” John said gently shoving his husband back into his seat. “You did the cooking. I’ll take care of these and I’ll start the coffee.”

“Thanks,” Bobby said with an affectionate smile at his husband. “Rachel sent over a homemade apple pie for dessert.”

“Yum,” Patrick said.

“Auntie Rachel makes the best pies,” Bree stated. “And Gamma Susan makes the best chocklet chip cookies.”

“Shall we have coffee and dessert in the sun porch and enjoy the sunset?” Bobby asked.

“Sounds like a plan,” Brian said as he gathered up the last of the dishes to take to John and Bobby’s kitchen.

“I want coffee too,” Bree declared.

“Milk for you, Squirt,” Brian replied.

“No! I want coffee.”

“I said milk,” Brian repeated. “Coffee will stunt your growth.” He reverted to the old adage that had been used on him as a child.

Bree frowned. “My growth isn’t stunned. It knows how to grow.”

Justin almost swallowed himself. “I don’t think that’s what Dada meant, sweetheart.”

“I want coffee,” Bree stated again crossing her arms on her chest.

“Coffee isn’t good for little ones like you,” Justin tried to reason. “You want to grow up big and tall, don’t you?”

“Not too tall,” Bree said as she thought about Justin’s words.

“But you always say you’re a big girl now, and you will get taller … but only if you don’t drink coffee at your age,” Justin added for good measure.

Bree frowned again. “Okay, if I will be able to see your pictures, Daddy, wifout Gampa holding me up in the air.”

Justin smiled at his daughter. “That will happen before you know it,” Justin promised.

“’Kay, Dada, I have milk.”

“Me too,” Patrick agreed, having waited to see how Bree’s demand for coffee worked out. He had thought he might like to try some coffee too, if Bree got her way.

Soon they were all assembled on the sun porch. Bobby prepared to carve the pie, as he liked to call it.

“Just a small piece for me and the Squirt,” Brian said.

“I’ll have a big piece,” Justin piped up.

“Me too,” Patrick called out.

Bobby snorted. I’m cutting this pie into six pieces. If you want less than that, you can cut a piece in half yourself,” he stated.

“Okay, okay,” Brian said holding up his hand. “I’ll take one piece and Bree and I will share. How’s that, Squirt?”

Bree nodded her approval and then snuggled up beside Brian when he sat down on the chaise. Brian fed her a bite of the pie.

“Good, Dada,” Bree said. “Now one for you,” she encouraged him, and he took his bite of pie.

“It is good,” Brian had to agree. He fed another piece to his daughter.

“I like everybody here together,” Bree declared as she licked her lips. “No more grumpy Dada!”

“Make sure you hold him to that, Bree,” John chuckled as he handed Bree a small glass of milk and set Brian’s coffee on the end table beside him.

“Hey, I wasn’t that bad,” Brian protested.

“Yes, you were,” five voices all declared at once.

Brian held out his hands in defeat.

“Eat more pie, Dada,” Bree instructed him, waiting for another bite for herself.

The phone rang in the Kinney-Taylor side of the house.

“I guess they know we’re back,” Justin said with a sigh and got up to answer it.

“More, Dada,” Bree instructed.

“Yes, my lady,” Brian said feeding her the last bite and making her giggle.

“More, Dada,” Bree demanded looking at the empty plate her father held.

“Oh, all right,” Brian said getting up to retrieve the last piece of pie for himself and Bree. He had just sat back down when Justin returned from their side of the house. “Who was that?”

“You’re never going to believe this,” Justin said.

“Believe what?”

“That was Sharon Brenner. She wants us to come to dinner on Thursday. A formal dinner, as she very specifically informed me.”

“What the fuck for?” Brian demanded.

“It’s a family thing … with Molly’s family which includes you, me and Bree. She also wants it to be a thank you for having them here at Christmas.”

“I would have thought they would have wiped the memory of being snowbound with a house full of fags from their minds,” Brian stated tongue in cheek.

“Apparently not,” Justin chuckled.

“What did you tell her?”

“That we’d be there.”

“But…” Brian began.

“But what?” Justin asked.

“What if you-know-who is there?”

“Who’s you-know-who?” Bree asked.

“Oh,” Justin said, figuring out that Brian meant his father. “Sharon didn’t say anything about him. I don’t think she would…”

“Who’s you-know-who?” Bree interrupted.

“Um, nobody, sweetheart,” Justin said quickly. He didn’t want to get into this in front of Bree.

“I fucking hope Sharon Brenner knows what she’s doing,” Brian retorted. “Maybe I should just stay home.”

“That would really fuel the gossip columns,” Justin said knowing that would hit its mark.

Brian glared at his husband and shook his head.

“Who’s you-know-who?” Bree repeated once again. She got another mouthful of pie, but no answer to her question.



*****



When the phone rang again a little later, Brian answered it this time.

“Hi, Pop,” Gus said.

“What’s up, Sonny Boy? You sound a little down.”

“I am.”

“You didn’t hear from that fucking Cole again, did you?”

“No, nothing like that.”

“Then what are you depressed about?”

“Could I come to the cottage this weekend?” Gus asked. “There’s a few things I’d like to talk to you about.”

“What kind of things?”

“Could … could we talk when I get there?” Gus asked not wanting to get into this over the phone.

Whatever Brian heard in Gus’ voice, he agreed to the weekend together and let his questions drop. “Do you think you could find time out of our Q & A sessions to take Bree and the other kids riding? I promised them we’d get back to it. It will be the first time since Patrick broke his arm.”

“I think we could make time,” Gus said. “Besides, Ashley and I get along really well.”

“Is that right?”

“She’s a neat little kid when you get to know her. I can see why Bree likes her so much.”

“Hm.”

“What’s the hm for, Pop?”

“Just thinking. Maybe I need to get to know Ashley better.”

“You could do worse,” Gus laughed. He could just picture his Pop and Ashley having a heart to heart.

“What’s so fucking funny?”

“Nothing, nothing at all,” Gus said stifling more laughs. “Pop, thanks for not grilling me on the phone. I’ll tell you all about it on the weekend.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

“Later,” Gus said and cut the connection.

“Later,” Brian replied to the dead line. He couldn’t help but wonder what problem Gus had for him on the weekend. He was still sitting in the kitchen thinking about that when Justin came in.

“I put Bree to bed. She’s asleep already. Must have been all that pie,” Justin laughed. “What are you doing?”

“Thinking.”

“That can be a dangerous thing.”

“Quiet, or I’ll fuck your other ass off,” Brian threatened with a less than menacing look on his face.

“What other ass?” Justin asked. “As far as I know I only have one.”

“Nope, there’s definitely two asses. That was your city ass that I took care of on the weekend. Your country ass needs the same attention.”

“Oh, I didn’t know there was a distinction between the two.”

“Well there is.”

“Some time you’ll have to explain to me what the difference is.”

“As an ass connoisseur, I’d be happy too.”

Justin giggled. “I’d like nothing better, but I have something to tell you first. And I don’t want you to get mad.”

“Fuck! I know when you say that, I’m going to hate whatever it is,” Brian groaned.

“After I tucked Bree in, I called Tre` and Troi`. They want me to come into Pittsburgh tomorrow to see what they’ve done on the Rage cartoon so far.”

“They started that already?” Brian asked in surprise. “Didn’t you just dream up this idea?”

“Yeah, but they were really eager to get started. They want my opinion and some help with the storyline. I should call Michael and get him to sit in with us some time during the day.”

“Oh joy, oh fucking rapture! Another day with you in the city and me stuck here.”

“I thought you loved it here.”

“I do,” Brian sighed. “But I love it most when you’re here with me.”

“Aw, you are the sweetest man.”

“Buttering me up will not make it better.”

“Sure it will,” Justin said sliding onto Brian’s knee. “And my country ass will prove it when you’re ready for bed.”

“I’m ready right now,” Brian declared as he felt his cock swell under the pressure of Justin’s delectable country ass resting on his knee.

“Then what are we waiting for?” Justin said with an evil grin. “Let’s go.” He stood and took Brian’s hand leading his husband into their bedroom.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 3





“Dada, did you get me a new dress for the dinner?” Bree asked her father.

“Um, no, Squirt. I thought you could wear one of your birthday dresses. They still fit you, but they won’t for much longer. My little girl is growing up so fast,” Brian said with a wistful note in his voice.

They were sitting in the sun porch. Brian had just finished reading a story to Bree while they waited for Justin to come home from Pittsburgh for dinner.

“That’s good,” Bree said.

“Good?” Brian asked raising an eyebrow. “Why is that good? I thought you liked getting a new dress.”

“Unca John telled me that I should share with other children. I have nice dresses and other children don’t have nuffin.”

“Is that what Uncle John told you?” Brian said trying not to laugh. Trust John to put Bree’s wardrobe in perspective.

“Yep.” Bree nodded emphatically. “Dada, can I give some of my clothes to kids who don’t have sumpin to wear?”

“Something, Squirt,” Brian corrected. “I don’t see why you couldn’t. What do you say we go clean out your closet while we’re waiting for Daddy to come home? You have lots of clothes that you’ve outgrown.”

“Let’s go,” Bree said sliding off the chaise and holding out her hand to her father.

Brian took Bree’s hand and they walked to her bedroom. He looked into her closet and groaned at the sight of all the clothes. Bree certainly did have quite the wardrobe. Usually he didn’t pay much attention to what was in there unless he was encouraging Bree to straighten it up, or selecting the latest outfit for her to wear.

“I’m going to get a box from the laundry room. You start selecting clothes that you don’t wear anymore and we’ll pack them up. Okay?” Brian asked.

Bree nodded and headed into her closet. Brian went to get the box.

When Justin arrived home he heard voices in Bree’s bedroom and went to investigate. Bree’s bed was piled with clothes and there were several cardboard boxes sitting on the floor. They were filled with clothes too.

“What are you two doing?” Justin asked.

“Spring cleaning,” Bree giggled, using the term that Brian had told her.

“But it’s fall,” Justin said with a smile as he picked up Bree and kissed her cheek.

“Better late than never,” Brian said as he started putting Bree’s clothes from the bed back in the closet.

“What are you going to do with all the clothes in the boxes?” Justin asked.

“Tell Daddy, Bree. It was your idea.”

“I’m giving them to kids who don’t have something to wear.” Bree made sure she pronounced “something” correctly. She looked at her Dada for approval and he nodded and winked at her.

“That’s a great idea,” Justin said. “How did you decide to do that?”

“Apparently Uncle John had a chat with the Squirt while we were in Pittsburgh,” Brian replied.

Bree nodded her head. “Yep.”

“Your Uncle John is a good man,” Justin said.

“Yep,” Bree agreed.

“Dinner’s in the oven. If you want to get it out, I’ll finishing putting this stuff away and join you in a minute,” Brian said. “How did it go in Pittsburgh?”

“I’ll set the table and tell you all about it then,” Justin said, as he set Bree down and headed for the kitchen.

“Is Daddy going to be in Pittsburgh a lot agaaaain?” Bree whined to Brian. Something about her Daddy’s last answer had not sounded promising.

“I’m afraid so, Squirt,” Brian agreed, having got the same vibe from his husband.

When they finished boxing the clothes and hanging up what Bree was keeping, Brian carried two big boxes of clothes to the laundry room. Bree carried a smaller one. They stacked them by the washing machine till Bobby was able to deliver them to the shelter. Then they went to join Justin in the kitchen.

They ate the roast chicken and vegetables in silence for a bit.

“What are you going to do with the clothes?” Justin asked.

“Bobby says there’s a shelter for women and children near his office, so he’ll drop them off there.”

Justin nodded. “This is good,” Justin said indicating the food. After a minute, he drew in a breath. He knew they were going to have to confront the issue of the next few days and he dreaded what he had to tell them.

“How long, Daddy?” Bree asked out of the blue.

“How long what?”

“How long you going to be in Pittsburgh this time?” Bree asked with a little sigh.

Justin looked at Brian who shrugged. “She guessed,” Brian told his husband.

“I need to go in every day for the next few days,” Justin said.

“The weekend?” Brian asked.

“For a bit?”

“Are you staying there, Daddy? Like last week?”

“No, sweetheart, I’ll be home every night.”

“That’s good,” Bree agreed.

“Better than not being home at all,” Brian said grudgingly.

“I’m sorry but the twins need some guidance. I forget that they’re still students. I need to draw some cells for them to work from.”

“Okay, let’s talk about something else,” Brian said giving Justin one of his looks.

“What do you want to talk about?” Justin asked.

“I’m wearing my birfday dress and my new hair clip to Mrs. Brenner’s,” Bree offered.

“Or maybe you won’t be home in time, and we won’t be able to go,” Brian said, brightening up at that prospect.

“I’ll be in Pittsburgh. I can meet you there,” Justin said.

Brian groaned. “Are there no perks to having you abandon us?”

“That’s a pretty rude question,” Justin chuckled. But he understood what Brian meant.

“If we have to go to the Brenners, then we should have our little chat with Bree,” Brian said giving Justin the eye.

“Why do you need to talk to me?” Bree asked innocently, squirming in her chair.

“Well, sweetheart,” Justin said. “None of us have been to the Brenners’ before. It’s a really big house with lots of beautiful things inside.”

“So?” Bree said with a frown. What was her Daddy trying to tell her?

“When we go for dinner, you can’t touch anything. Okay?” Justin asked.

“How am I apposed to eat if I don’t touch the food?”

Justin chuckled. “I didn’t mean the food. I meant all the decorations like vases and ornaments.”

“Like on the Christmas tree?”

“No, not like on the Christmas tree. Um, like the clock on the mantle and…”

“The glass statue on Uncle John’s table,” Brian added.

“Oh, but I don’t touch those,” Bree said.

“Well, the best thing is not to touch anything when we go to the Brenners. Okay, sweetheart?” Justin asked.

Bree frowned. She wasn’t sure she liked the sound of this. “Okaaay,” she said reluctantly.

“Good girl,” Justin told her.



*****



A couple of nights later, Brian pulled up the driveway to the Brenners’ mansion. Brian and Bree had picked up Justin from the loft. Brian stopped the car. “Here we are,” he said trying to make it sound not too sarcastic. “Let the games begin.”

“Brian, it will be fine,” Justin said emphasizing the “will”.

“If you say so, Sunshine.”

“I be good, Dada,” Bree said. “I don’t touch nuffin.”

“It’s okay, Squirt. Don’t worry about it. I know you’ll be good,” Brian replied gently. He got out and opened the door to release Bree from her restraints.

They rang the bell beside the door and a man opened it. “Good evening,” he said.

“We’re the Kinney-Taylor’s,” Justin informed the man who nodded.

“May I take your coats?” the man who was apparently the butler asked.

They all took off their light fall coats which they had worn due to the brisk wind that had sprung up during the day.

“Let me fix your hair, Squirt,” Brian said squatting down and brushing Bree’s bangs off her forehead. He adjusted her hair clip. “Perfect,” he informed her.

“Please follow me. The family is assembling in the library.”

Brian took Bree’s hand and followed the butler. Bree looked around at the marble table that held a very big vase. That was definitely a “Do not touch.” She walked with her fathers to the door that led into the library.

“Good evening,” Sharon said coming over to them to shake hands.

Brian scanned the room noting Molly and Owen, Owen Sr., Seth and Jennifer and Sarah Kingsley. There was no Craig Taylor. He breathed a sigh of relief.

“Come in,” Sharon was saying. “We’re just having a drink before dinner. What can I get you?”

Brian told her their preferences for drinks, and ordered a Shirley Temple for Bree. Sharon went over to Owen Sr. who was tending bar.

Jennifer came over to kiss Justin. Molly and Owen were seated on one of the sofas. Justin went over to greet them while Jennifer and Seth spoke with Brian. Bree stayed in the doorway. She looked around the room. There were glass bowls and vases everywhere. Books lined most of the walls. One of the library components had shelves full of little figurines. Bree stared at them.

“Bree, come say hello to your aunt and grandmother,” Brian told her, unsure why she was so quiet and seemed not to want to enter the room.

“Can’t” she said.

“Can’t?” Brian asked with a frown. “Sure you can.”

Bree shook her head. “No.”

Brian walked over and squatted down in front of her. “What’s the matter, Squirt?”

“Too much ‘Do not touch.’ I stay here.”

Brian chuckled. “You can come in, Bree. Why don’t you sit beside Auntie Molly and I’ll get your drink. It will be fine.”

Bree stared into her father’s eyes. “Are you sure?”

Brian chuckled. “I’m sure.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said, giving Brian a look that did not say she really believed him. However, she walked very carefully over to her aunt, and climbed up on the sofa beside Molly. “Hi, Auntie Molly.”

“Hi, sweet thing,” Molly said with a big smile. She hugged Bree and kissed her cheek. “It’ll be fine, Bree. Stick with me and I’ll look after you.”

Bree giggled and squeezed Molly’s hand. “’Kay, Auntie Molly.” She felt better hearing that.

Brian handed Bree a little glass of reddish colored liquid. She took a sip of the sweet concoction. “Yummy,” she said.

“I saw that article about your show, Justin,” Molly said. “You got a great review.”

“Was that the one in the Dispatch?” Justin asked making a face.

“No, in the Times. What was in the one in the Dispatch that caused that face?”

“Um … I…” Justin was sorry he had brought it up.

“Oh, my dear, you really should stay on top of what’s written about your brother,” Sarah Kingsley interrupted. “That dreadful little man from the Dispatch as much as stated that your brother and Mr. Kinney were about to part ways.”

“Part ways?” Molly asked in surprise.

“He’s nuts,” Brian said. “But that didn’t stop him from publishing it.”

“I can’t believe he would write something like that for no reason.”

“Oh, I think he had his reasons,” Brian replied, remembering the way the little fart had come on to him.

“What reasons?” Molly wanted to know.

“I don’t think they’re the kind of thing we should be discussing here,” Brian said quickly.

“Oh? Oh. Oh!” Molly clued in pretty fast.

“I hope dinner’s ready soon,” Brian said. “I think I’m getting indigestion from thinking about that insidious little man.”

“Dinner is served,” the butler said as he appeared in the doorway.

They all quickly made their way to the dining room. Brian made sure that he got Bree seated. Thankfully the placecards had her between Justin and himself. That was good, because Bree would probably need some help with the meal. Brian had to wonder why the Brenners had included Bree in their invitation when she was the only child. He felt like this was some kind of test of how they were raising their daughter.

The first course was a fruit cup. Brian hadn’t had a meal start like this for a long time. Sharon really was being formal. Brian picked up the correct spoon and showed it to Bree so she would know which one to use. He leaned over and whispered in her ear, “You don’t have to eat it all, Bree. Just have a taste because there are going to be lots of courses.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree whispered. She was glad her Dada was there to help her.

The meal progressed through the salad, fish and main courses. Bree nibbled a bit on each course and conducted herself in a very proper manner. Both Brian and Justin were very proud of the way she behaved. The sorbets that were served between each course to cleanse the palate proved a little too strong for Bree’s taste. She would take a bite, try not to screw up her face and then set down her spoon. She liked Auntie Emm’s sorbets much better.

There was lots of small talk, and talk about the family. The Brenners wanted to know what all the people they had met at Christmas were doing. Justin and Molly and Jenn filled them in. Jennifer also chose a moment to announce that she and Seth were going to tie the knot in the spring, but was careful to say that they hadn’t set a firm date yet. Everyone seemed very happy about that, including Bree who once again offered to be the flowergirl.

Finally the meal was finished except for coffee and dessert. Sharon suggested they retire to the library and have it served there.

As everyone reassembled in the library someone arrived at the front door. They heard the bell and the butler speaking to someone.

“That must be your father, Molly,” Sharon said. He had some kind of meeting tonight, but said he would try to come for dessert. I hope he brought his wife.”

Brian groaned and looked pleadingly at Justin. He so wanted to bail before he had to face Justin’s father. Justin shrugged and shook his head. It wouldn’t be fair to their hosts if they stood up and left.

“Good evening, everyone,” Craig said as he and Susan came into the library.

Bree was about to bolt off the sofa to go give her Gampa and Gamma a hug, but she glanced at her father and thought better of it. “Hi,” she called to them.

“There’s the lady of the hour,” Craig replied as he finished his greetings with Sharon and Owen Sr. He moved over and gave Bree a hug. Brian couldn’t fault the way he treated the little girl.

Craig looked around the room and nodded to people, except of course, to Brian. Brian wanted to chuckle out loud. Things never changed where Craig Taylor was concerned. Brian vowed not to say anything. Maybe that would avoid a scene. Not that Brian cared, but he knew that Justin and Bree and Jennifer and Molly and Sharon all did. Hell, nobody wanted a scene.

Dessert and coffee were served. Craig and Molly helped Bree with her plate of cake and her drink. Brian decided he would stay out of it. Once dessert had been eaten, the butler cleared the plates, and Owen Sr. offered everyone an after dinner drink.

Brian looked at Justin. He nodded towards Bree who was stifling a yawn. Justin nodded and stood up.

“We need to take Bree home,” he said. “Sorry to cut this short. It was a lovely evening,” he told Sharon.

“Yes, lovely,” Brian added.

Bree slid off the sofa and gave everyone a hug, as she made her way around to all the people in the room. “Ready, Daddy,” she said when she was done.

“Thanks again, Sharon, Owen. We’ll see you soon,” Justin said as Brian and Bree waited in the doorway.

The butler had their coats waiting for them by the front door. They quickly made their way out to the car.

“I’m glad that’s over,” Brian said as he buckled Bree into her seat.

“Me too,” Bree said. “Did I do good?”

“You did very good, Squirt. I think we all passed the test.”

Justin smiled over at Brian. “I’m very proud of you, both of you.”

“Me too,” Brian chuckled as he got behind the wheel.

“It was hard,” Bree said with a big yawn. “But I did it.”

Brian laughed. “You certainly did, Squirt.” He glanced into the back seat where Bree was already dozing off. “I’m glad that’s fucking over with.”

“Me too,” Justin chuckled. “Take my country ass home and let’s fuck.”

Brian’s smile rivaled the famed one of his Sunshine.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 4





The next morning Brian and Justin helped Bobby load up his car with the boxes of donations as well as the kids. Bobby would drop the kids off at school then the clothes at the shelter. Since Justin had left his SUV in the Pitts the previous night, Brian drove them back into Pittsburgh. He dropped Justin off at the loft then went over to Kinnetik to look over several proposals. Joseph Reilly from Perspectives had plans to expand and wanted Brian’s input. Brian welcomed the distraction.

“Bri?”

“Yes, Theodore,” Brian said softly as his peered over his computer at the accountant.

“Far be it from me to interfere in your personal life...”

“Since when?” Brian growled then waved Teddy on. Ted approached Brian’s desk cautiously.

“Brian, have you seen this?” Ted handed Brian that morning’s copy of the Dispatch. It was open to the gossip section. Ted pointed to an article with a familiar name at the byline.

“What famous luscious blond local artist, who just recently had such a successful opening at the Bloom Gallery, is palling around with two lovely dark haired young things? This reporter is dying to know!”

“I’ll kill him!”

“Now, Bri...”

“Great idea, I’ll do it right now!”

“No, Brian, that’s not what I meant. Let’s not do anything hasty. This could be written about someone else.” Teddy tried to calm his boss and friend.

“Schmidt!”

Ted could almost see the steam rising from Brian’s ears. “Brian, now think of your blood pressure,” Teddy suggested.

“My blood pressure is fine!”

“Then think of my blood pressure. Brian, no one reads the Dispatch; it’s only three little lines in that rag. No one will see it.”

Just then Cynthia stormed into the office.

“Brian, Leo Brown is on line one, he wants to speak with you immediately. Apparently, his grandson goes to PIFA and he’s worried.”

“Worried about what?”

“He wants to know why Justin has been spending so much time with kids.”

“Kids? Those kids are above the age of consent and what he’s doing is nobody’s business! This is getting out of control. Cynthia, get Bobby on the phone while I talk to Leo. He didn’t come to Justin’s show. Maybe I can lure him to the gallery with a special invitation. Ted, I need you and the guys to start working Rage PR.”

“Rage?” Cynthia and Ted asked.

“Justin’s new project with the twins. They’re going to animate Rage. That’s what the local luscious blond is doing with the lovely twins. We’ll need a kick ass campaign to counteract this shit. Now, go, people!”

As Cynthia and Ted left Brian’s office, Brian took a deep breath to prepare himself for Leo Brown.

“Leo! How is my number one client....?”



*****



“No, no, no! That’s all wrong,” Michael grumbled. Justin, Lacy, Michael and the twins were in the computer lab working on some rudimentary animation for Rage the cartoon. Justin, Lacy and the twins were all quite pleased. Michael, however was...

“No! Zephyr is too fat and Rage is too tall! Justin, these kids don’t know what they’re doing,” Michael whispered loudly so that everyone could hear him including the twins who were totally nonplussed.

“Michael, these ‘kids’ are older than I was when we started Rage, now back off and give them a chance. This isn’t the finished project; it’s only a dry run of the individual characters. They haven’t even started on JT yet.”

Michael huffed then crossed his arms across his chest. He grumbled to himself as Justin and Lacy moved closer to the boys. They each had pads and were sketching furiously to give the genius computer artists examples to work from. Michael was feeling a little left out.

The four artists were deeply involved, talking angles, light and shadows and color. Michael left the computer lab to go back to his world of words.



*****



“Mr. Schaeffer, my name is Bobby Morrison; I’m an attorney. I’ve been asked by my clients to contact you to see if we could come to some sort of agreement,” Bobby said smoothly and calmly.

“Your clients, who might they be?” Morris Schaeffer, the city editor of the Pittsburgh Dispatch asked Bobby.

“You may have heard of them, Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney.”

“Of course I know of them. They’ve been the subject of many articles in our paper over the years. Why would they feel it necessary to have a lawyer contact me? The review our art critic gave was very favorable.”

“I agree. However, it was his personal observations that my clients found objectionable.”

“What observations?”

“Come now, Mr. Schaeffer, two lines of actual review, then an entire paragraph devoted to the hottest couple and possible trouble in paradise. Why is your art critic doubling as your gossip columnist? Mr. Schaeffer, we’re asking politely, please restrict your reporter to reporting art. To say my clients are very influential in Pittsburgh is an understatement. We’d like to keep this friendly.”

“I’ll look into it, Mr. Morrison.”

“Thank you, Mr. Schaeffer.” Bobby cut the connection with the editor. “Brian, you heard?”

“Yes, I did. I’m also taking Leo Brown to lunch at Emmett’s Place Too after we tour the gallery. Apparently, Brown’s grandson goes to PIFA. He was one of the kids Justin had interviewed for the Fractal project and rejected. The kid took it personally and ratted Justin out to grandpa.”

“Shit. And I take it grandpa saw the article in the Dispatch and wants to make waves?”

“Yes, but he decided to get my take on it first. Justin said that little Leo is very talented but not very computer savvy and that was a specific requirement for the Fractal project. Now I have to go kiss big Leo’s ass.”

“You are the ass connoisseur,” Bobby chuckled.

“There’s only one ass that interests me. And right now it’s making cartoons.”

“Sucks to be you, huh?” Bobby snickered.

“Don’t you have lawyering to do?” Brian groused as Bobby laughed out loud.

“Yes, I do. And I’ll go do it. Let me know if Schaeffer took the hint. If not, I’m prepared to pursue it further. You just say the word.”

“Okay. See you at home later.”

“Oh and Bri, the girls at the shelter appreciated the clothes. I’m going to have Patrick go through his closet this weekend. I think John and I will be sifting through our stuff as well.”

“I hear ya. Good idea. I could use a few new suits; no need for the others to go to waste.”

“I’m sure. Later, Bri.”

“Later, Red.” Brian hung up then prepared himself for his meeting with Leo Brown.



*****



“So this is what my grandson has been fussing about?” Leo gazed at the monitor which was going through its run of the Fractal movie. “I don’t even know what I’m looking at. I mean I recognize the paintings, most of them are in Taylor’s exhibit but what’s the rest of it?”

Brian was about to try to explain when Lindsay stepped up to interrupt. Brian smiled as Lindsay’s soft tones, beatific smile and her innate understanding of Justin’s work, wove a spell that Leo could not break.

By the end of the afternoon, Brian’s alliance with Leo Brown and Brown Athletics was stronger than ever and Leo had acquired a Justin Taylor original.



*****



“Hey, Mikey!” Brian called out as he entered the comic book store. Brian gave Michael a chaste kiss then stepped back to examine the frown of Michael’s face. “What happened now?” Brian asked as he grabbed the latest Wonder Woman comic then sat in the oversized chair to read it.

“Nothing,” Michael pouted.

Brian arched a skeptical brow. “Doesn’t sound like nothing,” Brian murmured as he marveled how Wonder Woman’s considerable attributes remained within her costume as she cartwheeled across the page.

“Bri, the twins made Zephyr fat,” Michael whined. “And you look seven foot tall!”

“Well I am larger than life,” Brian stated nonchalantly, steadying himself for Michael’s ensuing tirade.

“But...”

“Mikey, the kids have just started on their little cartoon. Now be the adult I know you are and give them some space. You know they’ll come running to you because they’ll need the plot and you’re just the man to have one. Right now it’s all that messy drawing thing and pixels and whatnot with the computer.” Brian made a screwed up face for Michael, making him laugh.

“That’s better. There’s the Michael I know and love. As soon as the children run out of things to draw, you’ll be there to set them straight.”

“You think so?” Michael asked hopefully.

“I know so,” Brian said as he got up from the chair, stretched out the kinks then gave Michael a kiss goodbye. Brian smirked as he heard Michael whistling contentedly as Brian left the shop.



*****



As pre-arranged, Brian met Justin at the diner just before they were ready to drive back to Edna’s Treasures. Brian had picked up Gus who was going to spend the weekend.

“Hey guys!” Gus called out as he greeted Tre` and Troi` who were sipping sodas. Since Justin had commandeered the twins for most of the afternoon, he thought it only right to buy them a meal.

The younger boys chatted while Justin got up to greet his spouse.

“Hey,” Justin said low, flirting with his spouse.

“Hey,” Brian said with a smirk. Brian felt his cock twitch as he gazed into Justin’s ocean blue eyes. “You done playing with your twins?”

“For now. You ready to follow my country ass back to the country?”

“I’ll follow your country ass and city ass anywhere you lead.”

“Good, then let’s go home,” Justin said with a smile and a wink.

Brian walked Justin to his Cherokee which was parked just outside the diner. “I’ll meet you at home,” he whispered then gave Justin a kiss through the window.

As Brian and Gus walked back to Brian’s Jeep, they missed the photographer who was taking pictures of the hottest couple in the Pitts who were driving away in separate vehicles.



*****



Saturday morning broke clear and cool, but with a brilliant sun that indicated the day would be warm for the fall. The family had one of Brian’s delicious breakfasts in the sun porch. There was lots of chatter and laughter as Brian and Justin told the family about their dinner with the Brenners.

“Too much ‘Do not touch’,” Bree said definitively. “Don’t like it.”

“I know, Squirt,” Brian agreed with a chuckle.

“But you did very well, Bree,” Justin complimented his daughter, eliciting a big smile from Bree.

“That’s great, short stuff,” Gus laughed. “Wish I’d been there to see it.”

“Me too,” Bree said to her brother. “Daddy, can me and Patrick go to the Wendy house?”

“You and Patrick may,” Justin said shaking his head about his daughter’s grammar. He knew she understood the correct way of forming that question, but she always chose not to do it the right way.

“Come with us, Gus?” Bree asked batting her eyes at her brother.

“Maybe in a bit,” Gus said. “I need to talk to Pop.”

Bree and Patrick ran off outside and Justin, Bobby and John started clearing the dishes.

“Want to go to the stream?” Brian asked his son.

Gus nodded, and father and son exited the sun porch.

“Your gardens look great,” Gus said noting all the fall flowers with their rich, dark colors.

“Yeah, I’m happy with them, but I’ll have to start clearing them out for winter soon,” Brian said with a touch of sadness in his voice. He always found the transition from fall to winter in his gardens rather depressing. “Are you trying to butter me up?” Brian asked.

“Well, maybe a little bit,” Gus admitted sheepishly.

“So, what exactly did you do?” Brian asked as they entered the path to the stream.

Gus hoped they got past the Wendy house without the kids seeing them. He needed to tell this to Brian in confidence. “I did something stupid.”

“So, tell me,” Brian said with a sigh. He sat down on the big rock by the stream.

Gus sat beside him. “You know when I was practising driving here a couple of weeks ago?”

“Yeah, I remember.”

“I did some not so good things when you left me alone to drive.”

“Like what?” Brian asked with a frown.

“I sort of raced up and down the lane and practiced skidding to a stop.”

Brian chuckled in spite of himself. Gus’ face brightened up, just in time to see Brian’s face grow serious.

“You know the car is not a toy. You don’t have the experience to be able to handle a car if it really starts to skid.”

“I did pretty good,” Gus said in defence of himself and his actions.

“That’s not what you’re supposed to be learning,” Brian said sternly. “I let you drive Justin’s car by yourself because I thought I could trust you.”

“I know, Pop. I won’t do that again.”

“Good, and I’m glad you told me about this.”

Gus debated if he should tell his father that he had sworn Bree and Patrick to secrecy about his actions, but he decided that might not be a good idea. His father had accepted this news very well. He wanted to keep Brian’s good will.

“So, what else did you do?” Brian asked with an arch to his brow.

“How … how do you know I did something else?”

“Fatherly intuition, and you just told me as much.”

“Fuck!” Gus muttered.

Brian laughed. “You do take after me.” He clapped Gus on the shoulder. “Tell me.”

“The other day at school, when I was in Driver’s Ed. I … I did something I shouldn’t have.”

“What did you do?” Brian asked with a deep frown. He didn’t like the sound of this.

“I got to drive the instructional car at school,” Gus began. He dreaded telling this. “They put the instructor and three students in the car. Then we take turns driving. It was so boring waiting for my turn.”

“And what did you do to stop the boredom?” Brian asked, knowing he was not going to like the explanation that followed.

“I … I gunned the engine and slammed on the brakes like I had done in the lane,” Gus said unable to look his father in the eye.

“You did?” Brian asked stifling a chuckle. He could see himself doing some dumbass thing like that when he was in school. In fact, he probably had. “And what did your instructor say about this demonstration?”

“He said that I had to sit out two lessons and watch how the other guys drove … properly.”

“Sounds fair to me.”

“Pop…”

“Gus, as I’ve said several times, a car is not a toy. It can become a weapon if it’s not controlled properly. Whatever made you think that would be a smart thing to do?”

“I didn’t think it was smart. I just thought it would be funny.”

“And did the other kids think it was funny?”

“No,” Gus said shaking his head. “They were scared.”

“Why do you think they were scared?” Brian asked hoping Gus could see the error of his ways.

“I guess I bounced them around a bit when I did it.”

“And…”

Gus frowned and thought about it. “I suppose they thought maybe the car was out of control.”

“And what would have happened if it had been?”

“Mr. Rashki would have slammed on his set of brakes.”

“And if he hadn’t been quick enough?”

Gus shuddered. “I guess we could have been hurt.”

“And the boy wins the prize,” Brian said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry, Pop.” Gus really meant it too.

“This is why I say ‘sorry’s bullshit’. Gus, you have to learn that driving is a serious matter. It’s not meant to be fun. It’s not a game. You’re taking other people’s lives into your hands when you get behind the wheel, to say nothing of your own. Do you understand?”

“I think I do.”

“Don’t think! Do.you.understand?” Brian repeated, emphasizing each word.

“Yeah, I get the message.”

“Good, then I think this discussion is over, and I never want to have another one like it. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, Pop.”

“So, there will be no more practising driving by yourself.”

“Yes, Pop.”

“You can practise with me in the car.”

“Yes, Pop,” Gus said perking up. He had half expected to be banned from driving altogether.

“You will apologize to Mr. Rashki and the other students.”

“Do I have to?” Gus whined.

“Unless, perhaps you’d like to withdraw from Driver’s Ed. Until next term,” Brian said staring at Gus.

“No, no, Pop. I’ll apologize.”

“Good, and you better mean it.”

“I do,” Gus said contritely.

“Then let’s head back to the house.”

“Okay,” Gus said standing up. He was glad to feel his father squeeze his shoulder in support. He was relieved to have told all this to his father. It hadn’t been so bad.

“I would have liked to have seen the expressions on the faces of the other people in that car,” Brian chuckled as they started down the path to the cottage.

“You would?” Gus asked with a grin.

“Yes, and if you ever tell anyone I said that, I’ll tell your mothers what you did.”

“My lips are sealed,” Gus said, but he flung his arm around Brian’s shoulder. They walked back to the house, happy with their little talk.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 5





“Dad, maybe I should wait till next time before I try riding again,” Patrick said to his father. He looked up at the saddle on his horse. It was a long way over his head. He didn’t remember it being that high up before.

“I thought you said you wanted to ride today,” John said with a frown.

“I did, but my arm kind of hurts,” Patrick said in a small voice. He cradled his once broken arm in his hand, holding it against his chest as he had when it was in a sling.

John looked at Bobby. Bobby frowned and shrugged. The other children were already mounted on their horses and waiting for Patrick.

“Son, it will be fine. Your father will have hold of you and the horse. Nothing bad will happen,” Bobby tried to assure his son. He had hold of Sheldon’s horse’s reins. He hoped his words would reassure Patrick.

“I don’t know,” Patrick said looking like he was ready to cry.

“Patrick,” Gus offered. He held onto Ashley’s horse. “I know it can be scary. I had to do something this morning that was kind of scary.” Gus looked at his father who smiled encouragingly at him. “But I faced it, and it turned out really well.”

Patrick stared at the ground. He didn’t want to be a sissy, but he was afraid. The horse was so big, and it was a long way to the ground. He remembered that part. He clutched his arm closer to his chest.

“Patwick,” Bree said in her best baby talk. “Don’t be afraid. I love you.”

“I know, Bree,” Patrick said looking up at his best friend who was already aboard her horse. He didn’t want to be a coward in front of her.

“Patrick,” Ashley said, deciding she needed to do something. “When the bullies at school were picking on me, Bree stood up for me. I was afraid and I cried, but when Bree helped me I was able to tell them to go away, and they finally did. We’ll all stand up for you. We won’t let anything bad happen to you. I promise.” She crossed her heart and smiled down at Patrick.

“I guess maybe I could try,” Patrick said softly, finding Ashley’s confidence in him and the power of the group very comforting.

“Okay, son, I think you’re making the right decision,” John said as he picked up Patrick and lifted him into the saddle. “We’ll take it easy today. Nothing too strenuous to test that arm.”

Patrick smiled down at his father, most appreciative of what his father was telling him.

John clucked at the horse and they started forward. They walked around the yard a couple of times with the adults leading the horses. All the children were being very patient about getting reacquainted with their mounts. Bree watched Patrick carefully. She wouldn’t let him show off for her again. Her Patrick had to be fine. Nothing was going to hurt him.

“Are you ready to take the reins?” John asked his son.

“I think so, Daddy.”

“Good boy. I’ll keep a hand on the bridle just in case, but you have control of the horse. Everybody can try that,” John told the group.

They all took some control of the reins of their mounts, and they walked around the yard another couple of times. The somber faces started to glow with happiness and energy. The children were starting to enjoy being back on the horses. This is what John had hoped for, especially where Patrick was concerned.

“You’re doing great, Patrick,” John told his son.

“I am, aren’t I?” Patrick said with a small smile.

“I’m very proud of how you faced your fears.”

“Me too,” Patrick grinned.

“I think maybe that’s enough for today,” John said as Patrick pulled on the reins to stop his horse.

“I could do more,” Patrick said.

“I know you could, but there’s no point in overdoing it. We’ll stop here,” John said in a voice that told them there would be no arguing about it.

“Okay, Dad,” Patrick replied. “Thanks for helping me.”

John lifted his son down from the saddle. “I think the others were as much help as I was.”

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed.

The children led their horses to the barn.

“That went well,” Brian said to John. “I’m glad Patrick got back on the horse. I didn’t think he was going to.”

“Me either. And if he didn’t get on today, he probably would have never wanted to come back.”

“That’s what I was afraid of,” Brian agreed. “That Ashley made quite a little speech.”

“She’s a lovely little girl,” John said.

“Gus was telling me how much he admired her. I can see why.”

“Let’s get the horses taken care of, and then we can enjoy the rest of the day,” John said heading for the barn.

Brian watched the children lead their horses inside. Ashley walked confidently leading her mount. He would definitely have to get to know that little girl better.



*****



“Okay, Sonny Boy, now ease down on the gas pedal, and please try to remember I’ve already had two concussions. I don’t need another one,” Brian snarked.

With the riding lessons concluded for the day and Justin in the Pitts working with the twins, Brian decided it was time for a little father and son moment. Of course, Brian wished that he still took recreational drugs. He was sure he was going to need them after his driving lesson with ‘Hotrod’ Gus.

“Sure, Pop!” Gus responded but not after the perfunctory rolling of the eyes. Gus slipped the Cherokee into drive then eased down on the gas pedal. He gradually drove the SUV down the driveway at a leisurely pace. Using the proper signals, Gus made the left out of the driveway. And then, on the correct side of the road, Gus drove the Cherokee down the lane toward Emmett’s.

“Very nicely done!” Brian exclaimed as Gus pulled over then put the SUV in park.

“Really?” Gus asked with some relief, he didn’t think he’d ever get the hang of driving.

“Really. Have you practiced ‘k’ turns?” Gus shook his head. The lane was just wide enough for a u-turn for a normal car but the Cherokee was too big. “Let’s switch, Sonny Boy.”

They switched places so that Brian could show Gus how to make the three point turn. They switched back and after a few false starts, Gus got the hang of it.

“Okay, let’s practice driving straight for a while then we’ll tackle parking. By the time you get back in Driver’s Ed, you’ll be a master,” Brian boasted proudly.

Gus, with Brian at his side, practiced until Justin came home from Pittsburgh.



*****



“Lucy, I’m hoomme!” Justin called out. No one appeared to be in residence on his side of the conjoined cottages.

“Out here, Sunshine!” Brian replied without a hint of grouchiness in his voice.

“Hey,” Justin said as he was greeted by Brian at the doorway. Brian kissed Justin sweetly.

“Hey yourself,” Brian purred. His voice carried promises of loving later when they would be alone.

“Hi, Daddy! Did you work hard in the Pitts today?” Bree asked. Her own sunny smile filled the sun porch with its own light.

“Yes, very hard, baby girl. But we did good work.”

“Dada says you’re making a cartoon. Can I see it when it’s done?” Bree asked in all innocence.

“No, sweetheart, this cartoon is made for grown-ups. Even Gus is barely old enough to watch it,” Justin tried to explain.

“But Gus is old!” Bree said loudly in astonishment. The family chuckled.

“Gee, thanks, short stuff. I’m not that old,” Gus groused.

“Think of it this way, Sonny Boy, if you’re old then I’m positively ancient!” John, Bobby and Justin broke out into belly laughs.

“We had a very good day today too, Justin,” John told the blond young man. “We even convinced the ancient old man to barbecue. You’ve just made it back in time for dinner.”

“Yum! It smells great and I bring dessert,” Justin said with a bright smile. On his way back from PIFA, Justin stopped at the bistro for some fruit tarts and a bunch of popovers and muffins for breakfast the next day.

“He brings gifts from the gods,” Brian declared then they all sat down to enjoy dinner.



*****



“Bri?”

Brian had just fucked off Justin’s country ass and was catching his breath before fucking off the city ass as well.

“Hmm?”

“The cartoon, do you think it’s a good idea?” Justin asked pensively as he turned onto his side to face Brian.

“Do you think it’s a good idea?” Brian challenged.

“Yes, I do. Michael’s being a putz as usual but yeah, I think it’s a great idea.”

“Think it’ll make a killing at the box office?” Brian asked as he pushed a lock of blond hair out of Justin’s eyes.

“Box office?”

“Box office, Justin, as in money.”

“I know what you meant but the thought of making money from this never really occurred to me.”

“You rich enough without it?” Brian drawled softly. He was drawing lazy circles with the tip of his finger up and down the pale skin of Justin’s arm.

“I don’t need the money; you know that.”

“I know but what about the twins or Lacy? Are any of them independently wealthy?” Justin thought about it for a moment.

“You think we should market the cartoon, make it commercial?” Justin didn’t want his artistic freedoms stifled. He had to hold back a lot during the making of the Rage movie. “If we make it for a broader audience then it loses that darkness, the edginess that we have in the comic. Bri, you know all this. We had lengthy conversations about this years ago. What are you getting at?”

“Just trying to figure out your angle.”

“My angle?” Justin was starting to get pissed.

“Yes. Everyone has an angle. Your twins are looking for an ‘A’ for their project, Lacy worships you and is still in awe that you’ve supported her involvement in Rage. I’m just trying figure out what’s in it for you, Sunshine.” Brian dipped his head to kiss the warm flesh of Justin’s chest.

“I don’t have an angle, Brian,” Justin said almost resentfully. Brian stilled Justin’s anger with a searing kiss.

“Justin, tell me, what do you see for your cartoon? And I want an honest answer.”

“I don’t want money...” Justin began.

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin and held him close. “Try again.”

“I mean, I don’t want money. I want to do this to prove that I can do it.”

“And...”

“And maybe if it does make money, we can use it to fund a special grant for students at PIFA. Bri, we can take the proceeds to fund a scholarship or updated software for students that can’t afford to buy it. Or we can...”

“Slow down, Sunshine. First things first, like making your little ‘toon’ then we can see how marketable it’ll be. I have Cynthia and Ted working on the PR as we speak.”

“You do? Then what’s with the third degree?”

“I just wanted to know what your expectations are.”

“My expectations?” Brian nodded. “I expect to have a lot of fun making this cartoon and I expect that Michael’s going to be an ass.”

“Goes without saying,” Brian quipped making Justin giggle.

“And I expect you’re going to be grumpy.”

“I may surprise you.”

“Maybe you will. You are Rage, after all.”

“And don’t you forget it.” Rage began to love the stuffing out of his JT, as Brian sucked the orgasm out of Justin. They cuddled afterwards, taking comfort in the familiar feel of each other’s skin, the scent of sex and sweat. Each man knew the other’s body as well as their own.

“YouTube,” Brian murmured.

“What?”

“YouTube. We upload small bits of the cartoon on YouTube then the whole thing on Mikey’s website. We explain the purpose and the donation thing. The readers won’t be surprised because Rage has been used for charitable purposes before.”

“But we won’t penalize those who can’t make a donation, right?”

“Of course not. Maybe you should consider making a PG rated cartoon.”

“Why?” Justin asked then his eyes grew large. “Not for Bree?”

“Why not? Who better to explain diversity than Rage and JT. Maybe Sateeena will have a life partner she tries to protect. Just think about it,” Brian said as he drew the comforter over them. Justin snuggled closer, placing his head on Brian’s chest over his heart.

“Rage and JT telling boys and girls all about diversity,” Justin babbled to himself. “Maybe Zephyr has his ZENman. Sateeena has Kitty.” Justin yawned against Brian’s chest.

Brian smiled as Justin babbled himself to sleep.



*****



“So Gus, are you ready to take your lesson today seriously?” the Driver’s Ed teacher asked solemnly.

“Yes, sir,” Gus said contritely. He had practised diligently over the weekend with his father’s tutelage.

“Then let’s go.” Gus got into the driver’s side, made his adjustments to the seat and mirrors. He was the tallest driving student and was taller than the instructor as well.

Gus made sure he and everyone else had on their seatbelts. He turned on the ignition then went through the designated paces. When he finished his run, Gus had the car in almost the exact spot that he started from.

“Very nicely done. And I see someone’s been practicing. Jerry, you’re up next. Let’s see if you can do as good a job as Gus.”

Gus smiled brightly as he and Jerry switched places.




*****



“Guys, I need to discuss something regarding the Rage cartoon and I didn’t want to do it at the Institute,” Justin began. They had all met around lunchtime at Michael’s store. Michael put the ‘closed for lunch’ sign on the door so that they wouldn’t be interrupted.

“Did something happen, Justin?” Lacy asked with concern.

“No, not really, but Brian gave me a suggestion and it got me thinking about other things,” Justin said in a far off voice.

“Justin, is everything okay between you and Brian?” Michael asked. He had seen the articles and he was trying not to jump to conclusions.

“Hmm? Oh no, that’s not it, and we’re fine. Never better. This concerns Rage. Brian wants to know if we’re doing the cartoon for money. I told him no, but then it occurred to me that maybe you guys were hoping to earn something from it.”

“Justin, what I want,” Lacy was first to speak up, “is to be a part of this. To see my work on the page and on the small screen. I can always use the money but that’s not why I want to do this.”

Both Justin and Michael beamed at their protégée.

“And you?” Justin turned to face the twins.

“We want an ‘A’!” Troi` and Tre` said in unison.

“But we are hoping that maybe it would lead to a paying job,” Tre` admitted.

“Yeah, our parents are helping us with tuition and stuff but PIFA is expensive,” Troi` stated. Both Justin and Lacy nodded in agreement.

“Justin, you said Brian had a suggestion?” Michael hinted for an explanation.

“Yes, he did. He said we should make Rage as we see fit, but that may mean an adult rated cartoon. If that’s the case, I don’t think PIFA will allow us to make porn on campus, cause that’s how they’re going to see it. And we won’t be able to reach some of our target audience with an adult rating. So Brian said to consider making a PG version. He also said something else.”

“What?” four mouths asked at once.

“Brian suggested that Rage and JT make a cartoon about diversity geared for younger kids.”

“Like Bree?” Michael asked. He was shocked at first but then smiled. It was so like Brian.

“Yes. Rage and JT; Zephyr and the ZENman; Sateeena and her partner Kitty. We can make up any characters and any combination of family. He said we should put up small cuts on YouTube and then the whole thing on Michael’s comic book website. We can set up some sort of donation process and the proceeds go to a scholarship fund.”

Justin took a deep breath. “What do you think?" Justin asked his partners in Rage.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 6





“Come in, Ashley,” Brian said as Ashley’s father dropped off his daughter at the cottage. It was the following weekend after Patrick had chosen to get back on the proverbial and literal horse. “It’s good to see you again.”

Ashley looked up at the tall man with the sparkling eyes and the beautiful face. “Thank you, Mr. Kinney. Where’s Bree?”

“She’s getting changed. We were going to do some gardening before we go riding. Would you like to help us?”

Ashley thought about it for a moment. She had only been to Bree’s house a few times. They usually met at school and spent whatever time they could together at recess. They weren’t in the same class. Then she got to go riding whenever Bree’s uncle allowed them to, but she rarely got to spend time with Bree at her home. “I’d like that. My mommy tries to have nice gardens, but she’s not very good at it.”

“Maybe you can pick up a few tips while you’re here,” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Maybe I can,” Ashley agreed with a very serious face.

“Would you like some juice?”

“Yes, that would be good.”

“Come into the kitchen,” Brian said to the serious little girl. “I wanted to thank you for what you said to Patrick last weekend. It really helped him to get back on his horse.”

“I didn’t do anything,” Ashley said. “I just told him the truth.”

“And sometimes the truth is just what people need to hear,” Brian told her. He could relate to the telling of hard truths. He had done that all his life. Many times his family and friends did not like to hear that truth, but he had always chosen to tell it anyway.

Ashley nodded. “My mommy says that the truth can set you free.”

Brian stared at the little girl. She was a very interesting child. “Your mother’s right.”

“Is that what happened with Patrick?” Ashley asked with a thoughtful look on her face. “I told him the truth and he was free to get back on the horse.”

“I’d say that’s an excellent way of explaining what happened,” Brian agreed.

Ashley’s smile lit up the kitchen.

“Ashley!” Bree shrieked as she ran into the kitchen. “I didn’t hear you get here.”

The two girls hugged and danced around together. Brian smiled at the obvious joy they found in being together.

“Okay, work crew, you ready to go?” he asked.

“Where’s Gus?” Bree asked.

“I like Gus,” Ashley said.

“He’s down at the stream with Patrick. Man stuff, you know,” Brian said keeping a straight face.

“Men!” Bree said, sounding so much like Mel that Brian cringed. “We’ll have more fun without them,” she told Ashley.

Ashley nodded enthusiastically and they ran out through the sun porch. Brian put the juice back in the fridge and followed them.



*****



Gus and Patrick were sitting on the big rock by the stream. They were tossing stones into the water watching them throw up a little spurt of water before sinking out of sight.

“So, getting back on that horse was pretty scary, wasn’t it?” Gus was saying.

“Yeah,” Patrick admitted reluctantly.

“It’s okay to be scared. You had a bad thing happen with the horse. It’s understandable.”

“I guess,” Patrick said looking at the stones in his hand. “But I hated doing that in front of everybody.”

“I understand,” Gus told him. “I had to apologize to my Driver’s Ed. group this week. I hated doing it, but I did. And then I drove really well and got a compliment from the instructor.” Gus was quite proud of how things had turned out.

“Wow! You had to apologize?” Patrick thought Gus was pretty perfect. He wanted to be just like Gus when he grew up. He couldn’t believe that Gus would have to apologize for anything.

“Yes, I did. You remember when I was skidding the car around in the lane, and I asked you and Bree not to tell?” Patrick nodded. “I shouldn’t have done that. I’m not going to drive like that anymore,” Gus vowed.

“That’s good,” Patrick agreed.

“So, are you going to be okay getting on your horse this afternoon?”

“I think so.”

“I know so,” Gus said clapping Patrick gently on the shoulder. “The hard part was last weekend. This week should be fun.”

“Yeah,” Patrick said with a smile. He felt better knowing that Gus had confidence in him.

“Let’s go back and see if Ashley’s arrived.”

“She’s nice,” Patrick said as they started walking along the path back to the cottage. “For a girl,” he felt compelled to add.

“Yeah,” Gus agreed. “Girls are okay sometimes.”

“Where’s JR?” Patrick asked. Gus’ sister had not chosen to join them for horseback riding.

“She decided not to come this weekend. She’s … um growing up, and sometimes she doesn’t like doing things like riding a horse.”

“Oh?” Patrick replied. He had no idea what Gus was talking about.

“She’ll probably come next weekend.”



*****



“Gus, Patrick,” Bree squealed as two of her favorite people appeared out of the path that led to the stream. She ran over to them. “Me and Ashley did weeding and hoeing and pulling weeds. Help us water the flowers now.”

“Sure, short stuff,” Gus said with a laugh. His sister was always so enthusiastic. “Hi, Ashley.”

“Hi, Gus,” Ashley said batting her eyes at him.

Brian watched all this and had to shake his head. His son seemed to have an admirer. But what was there not to like about Gus. He was a great kid. “If you’ll water, Gus, I’ll go get cleaned up and then we can head to the farm,” Brian told Gus.

“Sure,” Gus said.

“Patrick, go tell your dad that we’re almost ready.”

“Okay, Uncle Brian.” Patrick ran off to his side of the cottage.

“Bree, come with me and we’ll get you ready to ride.”

Bree happily followed her father inside.

“So, Ashley,” Gus began as he started the water flowing and directed the nozzle towards the plants. “Did Pop teach you his gardening tricks?”

“A few,” Ashley said.

“He’s really good at gardening. His gardens always look great.”

“Yeah.”

“Would you like to hold the hose and water the plants?”

“Sure.”

“I’ll help you, so you don’t get mud on your clothes,” Gus said.

“They’re old clothes,” Ashley said, “but my mommy wouldn’t like me to get all muddy.”

“Mommies never like that,” Gus chuckled.

Ashley looked up at Gus and nodded in agreement. Whatever Gus said was true.



*****



The local papers continued to be obsessed with Justin Taylor, the artist, his current show and the Old Masters that were still being exhibited in Chicago. The Times had scooped the others with the story that by the end of the year the Old Masters would be traveling to California. The next destination was rumored to be Europe.

Justin could be seen every day in Pittsburgh. More often than not, Brian was seen driving into the city with Justin but they would part ways, each tending to their own business. The family took no notice of this; it was all business as usual for the couple.

While there was really no great rush to complete the Rage cartoon, Justin wanted to get at least one cartoon completed before the Winter break so that Lacy and the twins could receive credit for their work for the current semester. So that the group could continue to use the PIFA computer lab, they had all agreed, including Michael, to produce a ‘G’ rated cartoon. “Diversity” as told by Rage and JT was well on its way. The computer geek twins, however, were perfecting their program so that when they were ready, a more adult version of the comic book characters could be produced.

Justin, although hating all the attention he was garnering, politely dismissed the reporters that seemed to appear where he least expected them, with a sincere smile and a few quick words of thanks.

“Doris, can you please ask Finkelstein to come to my office ASAP?”

“Right away, Mr. Schaeffer,” Doris, Schaeffer’s new secretary replied via the intercom. ‘At least he knows my name,’ Doris thought as she called the Art desk to request Seymour Finkelstein’s presence. Seymour responded almost immediately.

“Seymour, I never like interfering with my reporters and I’ve hesitated bringing this up but just after the opening of Taylor’s show, I received a phone call from his lawyer.”

“Lawyer, Mr. Schaeffer?” Finkelstein began to sweat.

“Yes, one Bobby Morrison,” Schaeffer said as he read over his notes. “Not only is he the family attorney, but he’s Taylor and Kinney’s brother-in-law, for lack of a better term.” Same sex marriages had yet to be recognized by the sovereign commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

“W-what did he want?”

“He called to say the family has been rather displeased by what you wrote in your article.”

“But I gave Taylor a favorable review!”

“Yes, you did, then proceeded to add your gossip.”

“Mr. Schaeffer...”

“Now don’t get your panties in a twist. Seymour, your uncle was one of my closest friends and associates. He assured me that you would carry on just as he did, and with the highest integrity. Now I need to know why you seem hell bent on spreading this conjecture that the Taylor-Kinney alliance is failing.”

Seymour came armed with evidence.

“I’ve had a photographer follow them around. They’ve always been newsworthy. So you never know when something might be important.”

Schaeffer agreed. The Kinney paintings when auctioned went to fund The Farm. Kinney had put up the funding for the Jason Kemp Clinic and now his latest involvement was with the Village project. It was well known that Taylor had his input in all those projects, as well as his own charitable work at the Institute. The couple could always provide a line or two in the Dispatch.

Seymour laid out photographs taken of the couple in Pittsburgh. There were several of the ‘couple’ driving off in separate vehicles. And many of the artist with his twin companions. Of course, none of the photos were in the least bit incriminating but taken out of context, they posed the question: “Was the Taylor-Kinney relationship in trouble?”

“Hmm. Is the photographer one of ours?” Schaeffer asked Seymour.

“No, freelance.”

“Put him on retainer, I don’t want these pictures ending up in another paper.”

“Yes sir!” Seymour perked up. He gathered up all the pictures and was preparing to leave the editor’s office.

“Seymour, make sure of your facts before you print anything else. If you’re wrong, I won’t hesitate to cut you loose.”

“Yes sir. I understand.” Seymour quickly left the office.

“Doris, get our attorney on the phone, please,” Schaeffer said into the intercom.

“Right away, Mr. Schaeffer.”



*****



“Shit!”

“Curtis, language,” Hector softly admonished his son. “What’s the problem?”

“The problem is this math problem,” Curtis said with frustration. “Mid terms are coming up soon and I’m worried.”

“Why should you be worried? Last semester you worked hard to make up for all the time you lost while on the street. You not only passed all your subjects but excelled in them. I think you’re too hard on yourself.”

“But...”

“Curtis, we only ask that you do your best. Even if you get an ‘F’ in any of your subjects, you haven’t failed if you’ve done your best.” Hector held open his arms. Curtis readily walked into them for a hug.

“Let’s work on that problem together,” Hector said as they broke apart.



*****



“Hiya, honey! What brings you into my little establishment?” Emmett asked cheerfully as Brian walked into the bistro.

Brian remained silent as he sidled up to the counter looking rather pitiful and giving Emmett the full puppy dog eye treatment.

“Oh dear, has the sun gone down over the cottage?” Emmett asked as he took a full tray of fresh popovers out of the oven. “I recommend one of these, with the butter and a large mug of my deep dark Colombian roast. Now, honey, you go make yourself comfortable at the big table while your fairy godmother works her magic.”

Emmett pointed to the special table that he used to entertain his prospective event planning clients. It was elegantly set with a deep aubergine table cloth and gilt edged china. Very fitting for the elegant Brian Kinney. Brian sat then sighed for all the world to hear.

Emmett placed a dish holding a warm popover in front of his friend. A small pat of butter was melting in the middle. Next to it he served the coffee, leaving the coffee service on the table knowing Brian would want another cup.

“Now, have a bite then tell your Auntie Emm all about it.” Brian did just that, savoring the buttery tender texture of the popover and the strong robust flavor of the coffee. “Better?” Emmett asked as if he was addressing Bree. Brian nodded. “Good, now spill.”

“This asshole is making my life miserable,” Brian said as he pointed to yet another article written about him and Justin.

“Hmm, Seymour Finkelstein, that sorry old queen. I thought he disappeared years ago.”

“You know him? And he was at the opening.” Brian nearly choked on his popover.

“Knew him, more like it, and I didn’t. Like him I mean. Us flaming types have a code, you know. And I was a little busy at the opening, if you recall.”

Brian made a face. “No, I didn’t know. What’s your code? Never mix fuchsia with teal?”

“Ha. Ha. As a matter of fact it’s about you guys.”

“What guys?”

“You, you gorgeous notorious tops. The ones who would never do ones like me.”

“Emmett, if you haven’t noticed, your partner of umpteen years is a gorgeous top.”

“But my Drewsie was different. He was in the closet for a very long time and then he exploded as it were on the scene and had to catch up, so to speak.”

“Emmett, I’ve known you for over twenty years and I have no fucking clue of what you’re talking about. And stop with the fucking clichés.”

“Eat, honey, before it all gets cold. Brian, you know as well as I do that in our younger days, us...”

“Nelly bottom queens?”

“Humph, we tend to turn off you tops. You want the pretty ones, even the little fem boys, but not us. We’re usually the bottom of the barrel. No pun intended.”

“Emm, that’s not true. Drew is so in love with you. And what about Simon and Ken? Can’t get any more butch than that big old bear and look who he chose for a life partner.”

“Sweetie, Ken can turn that off anytime he pleases.”

“And I suspect, so can you.”

“Maybe, if I really wanted to but, honey, why would I? I’ve always known my place in the order of things. The lines have been blurred over the years, but back then you learned who was safe and who wasn’t.”

“Emmett...” Brian reached out to place his hand on Emmett’s arm.

“Honey, you never intentionally hurt me, not ever. You’ve always been brutally honest and I may not have liked it at the time but I did appreciate it. And you’ve been a very good friend to me.” Emmett turned his arm so that he could squeeze Brian’s.

“So what about this code?” Brian pushed the conversation forward.

“As I said, back then most of us flaming types stuck to the ambiguous types.”

“Like Ted?” Brian said recalling their brief affair before things went south.

“Yes, the big macho boys love the little twinks. You were...”

“Non-discriminating other than they had to be hot.”

“Riiight. Justin’s type...”

“We won’t go there.”

“Okaaay. The point is, you don’t break the rules. Break the rules and you’re sure to be disappointed or worse, hurt. Never assume you’re good for more than a one night stand and never, ever think you’re in love.”

“Fuck, you sound like me.”

“The polar opposite of you, but yes, I can see the analogy. Well, Seymour broke the rules. He was always going after the wrong ones and if the one he found was involved in a relationship, all the better to go after him and break them up.”

“Why?”

“Because he was always looking for the impossible.”

“That’s not always bad. I have the impossible.”

“Yes, but you worked at it and you had help. You’ve had a long battle to get where you are and you should be so proud of your accomplishments.”

“You too.”

“I am, honey, proud and loud. Seymour wanted instant relationship. The hot guy with money who’ll take care of him. But he didn’t want to work at it.”

“You did. You tried to work things out with Ted. You were, and still are, his best friend.”

“And that’s what we were meant to be, and you helped. You remember Roy and Tannis.”

Brian rolled his eyes. Of course he remembered them. “Tannis is still the dyke from hell and Roy...”

“Right. But did you know Roy was in a very long relationship?”

“No.” Brian couldn’t help perk up at the tidbit of gossip. Emmett chuckled. “I can dish with the best of them if I want.”

Emmett laughed. “You certainly can. Anyway, Roy and Walter were together for a lot of years before Seymour crashed onto the scene and tempted poor Walter. It took a lot of counseling to get them back where they were supposed to be. By that time Seymour’s name and reputation in this town were sullied beyond repair. He was a pariah. So he left, for good I thought.”

“Well, apparently he’s back and he makes my skin crawl. He was trying to find out if Justin and I were having trouble. He even inferred as much to John. But wait a minute, where was I when this was going down. How come I didn’t know about all this?”

“Why would you, Sweetie? It was a flaming thing not a top thing,” Emmett said casually as he topped off Brian’s coffee.

“So what do I do about Seymour now? I had Bobby call the Dispatch to put a little pressure on the editor. A lot good that did,” Brian grumbled.

“Then fight fire with fire. Give an interview. Show them the truth behind Brian and Justin.”

“To fuckmour?”

“No, someone else … like the competition!” Emmett grinned at Brian.

“A fag after my own heart,” Brian leered with an evil grin as he raised his coffee cup in salute to his friend. Emmett nodded.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 7





“Hi, Pop.”

“Hey, Sonny Boy, what’s up?” Brian asked into his cell phone.

“I just wanted to tell you that I’m doing really well at my Driver’s Ed. Course. The instructor is really pleased.”

“That’s good news,” Brian said with a smile.

“Yeah, I’ve been doing a lot better since you’ve been teaching me. And I took your advice.”

“What advice?” Brian asked.

“To apologize to Mr. Rashki and the other guys in the car.”

“That wasn’t advice,” Brian said. “That was an order.”

“Okay, whatever it was, I did it. They seem a lot more … comfortable with me driving now.”

“Then I’m pleased it all worked out.”

“I was wondering if I could come to the cottage this weekend, and maybe we could actually go out on a real road for some driving,” Gus said hopefully.

“A real road?” Brian laughed.

“Yeah, something not the lane at your place or the parking lot of the shopping mall here.”

“Think you’re ready for the big time, do ya?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“Jeez, Pop, if I don’t get onto a road soon, I’ll never learn to drive.”

“Okay, it’s probably better if you drive on our country roads than in the big city, at least to start with.”

“That’s what I thought too,” Gus said with a big grin.

“I’ll pick you up on Saturday morning and then you can help the kids with riding on Sunday.”

“Deal, but not too early,” Gus requested.

“Ten o’clock,” Brian barked.

“Okay, Pop, see you then.”

Brian cut the connection with a big smile. It was good to know that he was helping his son, and that his parenting skills seemed to be working.

“What are you smiling at?” Justin asked as he walked into the sun porch.

“I was just talking to Gus.”

“And what made you smile?”

“You being home for once, and Gus doing well in his Driver’s Ed.”

“That’s good to hear,” Justin smiled. “And I’m glad to be home as often as I can.”

“Where’s Bree?”

“Bobby’s picking them up from school.”

“I thought you were.”

“Bobby volunteered when they were leaving this morning,” Justin said with a frown. “You don’t think he feels I’ll forget the kids again, do you?”

“I’m sure that’s not it. You only forgot that one time.”

“I know, but it is … unforgivable.”

“Nothing’s unforgivable.”

“This coming from the man who says, ‘No apologies, no regrets’,” Justin reminded Brian.

“I’ve learned to temper that statement. There are moments for apologies and regrets … and forgiveness,” Brian said seriously.

“I’m glad you feel that way. I can’t tell you how bad I felt that day. I was so … humiliated. I couldn’t believe that I’d forgotten our own daughter.”

“When the creative process takes you away, it’s understandable,” Brian reminded his husband.

“I just don’t want it to ever happen again.”

“I don’t think you can make that assumption. We can’t know what’s going to happen in the future.”

Justin frowned, but then leaned down to kiss Brian’s cheek where he sat in the chaise in the sun porch.

Then they heard the front door slam. Bree came racing into the sun porch. “Daddy! Dada! You’re both home,” she squealed obviously overjoyed to see both her fathers together.

“We’re here, Squirt,” Brian said hugging his daughter as soon as she’d finished hugging Justin.

“Hi, Uncle Bri, Uncle Justin,” Patrick said a little more sedately than his boisterous cousin.

“Afternoon, Patrick, my lad,” Brian said in his most pompous voice.

Patrick giggled.

“You sound silly, Dada,” Bree told him.

“Good to see you home,” Bobby said to Justin, a grin on his face.

“Jeez, I wasn’t gone that much, was I?” Justin asked.

“Yes,” four voices told him.

Justin shook his head.

“Daddy, are you cooking tonight?”

“I already started,” Justin said.

“Good, I like your food.”

“Hey,” Bobby said, “I thought you liked my food.”

“I do, Unca Bobby, but I like my Daddy’s too,” Bree said.

“I guess that’s all right then,” Bobby said as he and Patrick headed over to their side of the cottages.

“Can we go outside and play with Beau?” Bree asked her fathers.

“I have a phone call to make, and then I’ll join you,” Brian said.

“Come have a snack and change your clothes first,” Justin told his daughter.

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree responded, obviously happy to have her father home when she got there.

When Bree and Justin went into the kitchen, Brian picked up his cell phone. He looked at the pad of paper that was lying beside him on the chaise. He had been trying to find the right person to contact and he thought he had finally found him. He dialed the number he’d written on the paper and then the extension.

“Connolly,” a male voice responded to Brian’s call.

“Mr. Connolly, this is Brian Kinney.”

“What?” Connolly asked, suddenly sitting up straight in his desk chair at the Times. “I mean, what can I do for you, Mr. Kinney?” the man asked, regaining as much of his professional demeanor as he could muster. This was an unexpected call, to say the least.

“I have a proposition for you,” Brian said choosing his words carefully. He wanted to peak the interest of the Times art reporter, but he also wanted to establish that he was the one in control of this process.

“A proposition? May I ask what this is in reference to?”

“Maybe you’ve seen the snide little references in the Dispatch referring to my marriage with Justin Taylor being in trouble.”

“I don’t read the Dispatch,” Connolly replied with a sneer. “It’s not the most respected paper in Pittsburgh.”

“You got that right,” Brian agreed.

“But I have heard the rumors. Are they true?” Connolly smelled a scoop.

“Absolutely not, and that’s why I’m calling.”

“Oh?’

“How would you like to come to our home this weekend for an exclusive interview with Justin and me … and our family?”

“You mean it?” Connolly asked holding his breath. Surely this wasn’t some kind of wind up.

“I mean it. I want these rumors stopped. If you want to be the one to help us do that, you’ll agree to this interview.”

“And it will be only me?”

“That’s right. We want this done by a respected newspaper and a respected reporter,” Brian replied using Connolly’s own word to describe the Times and the reporter he was talking to. He might be laying it on a little thick, but he knew what he wanted.

“Mr. Kinney, I would be honored to conduct the interview, but…”

“But?” Brian asked.

“Sometimes these interviews come with restrictions. Is there anything you don’t want me to report? I may not agree to that,” Connolly said carefully.

“You may report on what you see and hear. The only thing I ask is that you be fair and truthful. Justin and I have nothing to hide. I’m sick of innuendo.”

“I don’t deal in innuendo,” Connolly stated firmly.

“I know, or I wouldn’t be calling you.”

“Then, when would you like me there?”

“Saturday afternoon for lunch?”

“That sounds excellent. I’ll be there.”

“I’ll give you the directions. It’s not the easiest place to find,” Brian explained.

When he had finished directing the Times reporter to the cottage, he hung up the phone. After his play time with Bree and Beau, he would have to tell the family what he had done. He hoped they wouldn’t be too horrified by this invasion of their privacy.



*****



After Patrick and Bree had gone to bed, Brian made his proposal.

“I want to discuss something with you all and I want your honest opinion. I’ve done something and it occurred to me that you all may not approve,” Brian said. They were sitting in John and Bobby’s end of the cottage. The October evening had grown cool so John had a small fire burning in their hearth.

“Whatever it is, Bri, we’ll keep an open mind,” John said as spokesman for the family. Brian took a deep breath as he prepared to explain his scheme.

“You’ve all seen those gossipy little bits in that rag masquerading as a newspaper, haven’t you?” Three heads nodded. “They’re really beginning to get on my nerves. All the other articles have been written about the show and Justin’s other projects. This Finkie person seems to take delight in taking a more personal approach.”

“Brian, did my call to the editor do any good?” Bobby asked.

“It did for a few days then these pictures popped up.” Brian pointed to the pictures of them getting into separate cars then driving away.

“Bri, I remember that afternoon. We had both cars in Pittsburgh and we needed them here. How does anyone think both of them would get back home?”

“I know, Sunshine, but this idiot is making mountains out of molehills.”

“I’m growing to hate that expression,” John grumbled as he picked up the paper. There were several pictures of Justin in a huddle with Tre` and Troi`. “You were in a public place when this was taken.”

“The guys have been working so hard on the Rage cartoon, I like buying them lunch or dinner. They deserve it.” Justin frowned.

“I agree. The Bopsey twins have been nothing but gentlemen from what I can see. Buying them an occasional meal does not an orgy make,” Brian quipped.

“So what have you done?” Bobby asked.

“I have to admit I can’t take any credit for the idea. Emmett made the suggestion,” Brian said without hesitation. The boys smiled. “He suggested we fight fire with fire.”

“You lost me,” John said.

“We give an interview. Here, in our natural habitat.”

“You want to invite that Finkelstein person here?!” Justin said in horror.

“No, his competition from the Times, one Richard Connolly,” Brian said as he pulled a slip of paper out of his pocket. “He was that critic we saw on the last night. The hot one in the suit.”

“You would notice he was hot,” Bobby snarked.

“Hey, Big Red, I even noticed you were hot.”

“Were?” Bobby asked with a smirk.

“Still are, Big Red. The point is, Justin and I show this man what we’re really all about. I want to set the record straight. But I jumped in without consulting you guys. If you don’t like the idea and want to get scarce on Saturday, I’ll understand.” Justin got up to wrap his arms around Brian’s waist in support.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Justin whispered. “The days are still warm. We can have a cookout, and show Connolly the gardens before it’s too cold. The Fall plants look beautiful.”

John and Bobby exchanged looks.

“Brian, we’re in. This Finkelstein guy is annoying as well as slanderous. Any way we can help, we will,” John said. Bobby agreed.

“Thank you,” Brian murmured trying not to choke up. “I have him coming here for lunch. Is that good?” Three heads nodded. “Then let’s plan our strategy.”

Just before they all went to bed, Brian called Gus.

“Sonny Boy, slight change of plans. Ask your moms if we can get you Friday night. And if JR wants to come, it’s cool.”

“Okay, Pop. What’s up?”

“I’ll explain Friday night. See you then, Sonny Boy.”

“See ya, Pop!”



*****



After firming up their plans for the weekend, the boys went to bed early.

“Brian,” Justin purred as he kissed his spouse, nibbling on Brian’s lips, sucking on his tongue. “I love you, you know,” he whispered against Brian’s mouth.

“I know,” Brian whispered back. The lovers made slow gentle love for the next several hours.



*****



“Kinney,” Brian barked into his phone.

“Mr. Kinney, it’s Richard Connolly.”

“Yes, Mr. Connolly, what can I do for you? You haven’t had a change of heart, have you?”

“No, I wanted to ask if I have your permission to bring my photographer. Morgan and I have been a team for years.”

“It’s fine, we welcome it. And come hungry.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“I said, come hungry. It’s quite a trip from Pittsburgh and the long range forecast predicts a nice warm afternoon. We’re going to have the last barbecue of the season.”

“All right. Should we bring anything?”

“Just yourselves, plenty of paper and film.”

“Would a digital video recorder and back-up memory cards do?” Connolly said with a chuckle.

“That’ll be fine. Just don’t get lost, I hate cold steak,” Brian said as he cut the connection.

“Yes, sir,” Connolly murmured to the dial tone.



*****



“Hey, Gus,” JR said as she came out the back door of the house.

“Hey,” Gus replied without really paying much attention. He had been sitting on the back steps of the house in the October late afternoon sun. It was warmer than usual and he liked the feel of the warm sun on his face. He was feeling … strange. He didn’t really want to talk to anybody.

“You okay?” JR asked.

“Hm.”

“That doesn’t tell me much,” JR informed him.

“I … I’m just feeling kind of down,” Gus admitted.

“What happened?”

“Nothing happened,” Gus assured her. “I was just thinking about…”

“Cole,” JR supplied.

“Yeah. How’d ya know?”

“I’ve seen you sitting out here before. Remember?” JR said sitting down beside her brother on the steps. “Right after he got arrested.”

Gus grimaced. He hated thinking about what his supposed boyfriend had tried to do to his family. “I remember,” Gus said sadly.

“He’s not worth your time,” JR said with all the wisdom of her early teen years.

“Hm,” Gus repeated.

“Really, Gus, don’t let it get you down.”

“I’m trying not to, but sometimes I remember…” Gus’ voice trailed away.

“You loved him, didn’t you?”

“I thought I did.”

“What’s the difference? You did love him.”

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Gus admitted.

“You’ll find someone else,” JR promised as she put her arm around Gus’ back and gave him a hug.

“Thanks, it feels better with you here,” Gus said trying to lighten up.

“I’m glad.”

“Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I was talking to Pop and he would like you to come to the cottage this weekend. I’m leaving Friday evening. Wanna come?”

“He … he asked for me to come?” JR asked in disbelief. Nobody usually remembered her.

Gus chuckled. “He likes you, you know. He said that if you wanted to come it would be cool. From my Pop that’s a gold plated invitation,” Gus told her.

“Then I guess I better go,” JR said with a happy smile on her face.

“Good.”

“Let’s go sneak some of that Rocky Road ice cream that’s in the freezer,” JR suggested.

“Best idea I’ve heard all day,” Gus laughed as they got up to raid the fridge.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 8




“Hey, Gus.”

“Hi, Curtis, how’s it shakin’?”

“No bad. How about you?”

Gus frowned and debated how to answer that. He’d been in a bit of a funk all week, but he didn’t want to get into that with Curtis. “I’m okay,” was all he said.

“Are you busy this weekend?”

“Yeah, afraid I am. I’m going to my Pop’s house. Did you have something in mind?”

“Well, midterms are almost over, so I want to start planning my party,” Curtis explained.

“Your adoption party?” Gus laughed.

“Yeah, I guess you could call it that, but I think we need a better name for this shindig.”

“You’re right. How about a ‘Welcome to the Family Party’, like you had after Justin’s show?”

“That’s better but it’s not catchy enough.”

“Hm,” Gus said thoughtfully. “New family, let’s celebrate! How’s that?”

“Much better,” Curtis chuckled. “You planning to follow your father into advertising?”

Gus thought about that for a minute. “Actually, I’m thinking about getting a portfolio together to submit to PIFA,” Gus confessed.

“Wow! I didn’t know you were an artist like Justin.”

“I’m not. It would be an application to get into photography.”

“Oh. I didn’t even know you could study photography at PIFA,” Curtis admitted.

Gus chuckled. “I’m not sure I did either, until my Mom and Pop suggested it to me at Justin’s show.”

“How come?”

“I did most of the photography for the Fractal movie he made. All the shots of the gardens and flowers and bees and things were mine.”

“Cool.”

“Yeah, I was amazed that people thought it was so good.”

“Sounds like you might have found a career.”

“I don’t know about that,” Gus said shaking his head. “I have to get into PIFA first. It’s really hard to get a spot there.”

“I bet.”

“Well, enough about me. Did you want to get together and plan your party?” Gus asked.

“That would be great,” Curtis said enthusiastically. “I’ve never planned a party.”

“I haven’t really either, but we could go to Auntie Emm if we need help.”

“Who’s Auntie Emm?” Curtis asked looking bewildered.

“Oh, Emmett Honeycutt. You’ve met him before. He planned Bree’s party and the opening for Justin’s art show. He has a party planning business.”

“Why do you call him Auntie Emm?”

“It’s a long story,” Gus said as the bell rang calling them back into class. “I’ll tell you when we get together.”

“How about next weekend?”

“I usually go to Pop’s. He’s letting me practice driving, and I help with riding lessons at the Farm.”

“Boy, you sure are busy.”

“Just lucky I guess,” Gus said feeling better when he thought about all the things he was involved in and how good his life really was.

“I’d love to ride a horse someday,” Curtis said as they walked up the steps to the school.

“Want me to ask my Pop if you could join us?”

“Me?”

“Yes, you,” Gus laughed. “Who else do you see me talking to?”

“Yes, I mean no, I don’t know, I’d have to ask my dads.”

“Then do that and I’ll talk to you during the week,” Gus said as he started down the hall to his next class.

“Thanks, Gus,” Curtis replied wondering how he had got so lucky all of a sudden.



*****



“So, Pop, you going to tell us what’s going on?” Gus asked.

It was Friday evening and he and JR were riding back to the cottage with Brian and Bree. Bree was sitting in her car seat in the back with JR beside her. Gus was riding up front with his father.

“What makes you think something’s going on?”

“You said there was when I talked to you on the phone,” Gus reminded him.

“Yeah, you’re right. I need to talk to all of you and I thought we could do it on the ride home.”

“So tell us,” Gus urged. He was getting impatient and a little worried.

“Tell us, Dada,” Bree said picking up on the thread of the conversation.

“On Saturday we’ve invited a reporter to the cottage to take pictures and interview us,” Brian began. “If all of you are okay with that, the reporter will probably want to ask you some questions too.”

“How come, Pop?” Gus asked. “Usually you want total privacy. You never want to talk to reporters, and you never invite them to the cottage.” Gus knew that exposure to the media was about the last thing his father would want.

“That’s correct,” Brian agreed. “And I wouldn’t be doing this now, but one of the art critics, the guy from the Dispatch, has been following Justin around Pittsburgh and taking pictures of him with the twins.”

“Twins? You mean Tre` and Troi`?” Gus asked. Brian nodded. “Why are they doing that?”

“They’ve got the gossip mill churning with the idea that Justin and I are breaking up.”

“No!” Gus gasped. “Why would they do that?”

“You and Daddy aren’t breaking up, are you?” Bree asked. There was fear in her voice.

“No, Squirt, we definitely are not. But that declaration doesn’t seem to make the rumors go away, no matter how many times we’ve told them.”

“So, who is this reporter? Not the guy from the Dispatch?” Gus asked.

“I wouldn’t allow him within fifty miles of the cottage. Fucking asshole!”

“Who is it then?”

“The reporter from the Times. He has a good reputation and he has agreed to be very fair. He will report only what he sees, no innuendoes.”

“What’s inn-you-end-ohs?” Bree asked struggling to say the word exactly as she had heard it.

“Gossip, rumors, things that aren’t true,” Brian explained.

“What do you want us to do, Pop?”

“Just be yourselves. We want this guy to see how our family works and how ‘normal’ we actually are.” Brian took his hands off the steering wheel to make quotes in the air around the word normal.

“Pop, hands on the wheel at all times,” Gus reminded him.

Brian chuckled. “Got it, Sonny Boy.”

“I tell him I love my daddies, Dada,” Bree declared.

“That’s good, Squirt. How about you, JR? Are you okay with this?”

“I don’t really see why I’m included,” JR replied uncertainly. “I’m not exactly part of your family.”

“Yes you are,” Brian said.

JR smiled. “I’ll be happy to talk to the reporter, but I don’t really get it.”

Gus decided he had figured it out. “You want the reporter to see our extended family, don’t you, Pop? You want him to see how you guys live, and that you love each other and a lot of other people too. JR’s my sister, so she’s included. Am I right?”

“Give the boy a cigar,” Brian said with a chuckle. “But not for a few years,” he added.

“I’m in, Pop. You, JR?” Gus asked.

“Yep.”

“Me too,” Bree piped up.

“Looks like you’ve got your team,” Gus laughed.

“I couldn’t ask for a better one,” Brian told his son.

Gus smiled as Brian pulled into the general store a few miles before the turn-off to the cottage. “Why are we stopping here? Do you need something?” Gus asked.

“No, I thought you might like to drive the rest of the way,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Me? On the road … with passengers?” Gus couldn’t believe his ears.

“You have to start sometime. I liked that you reminded me to keep my hands on the wheel. It showed me that you’re taking driving much more seriously.”

“I am, Pop, but are you sure?’

“Yes, switch places.”

They traded seats and Gus buckled himself in. He checked and adjusted the rearview mirror, brought the seat up slightly and then took a deep breath. “Everybody ready?” he asked.

“You’ll be fine, Gus,” JR told him.

“Be careful, Gus,” Bree said remembering Gus’ skidding up and down the lane.

“I will, short stuff.”

“Let’s go, Sonny Boy, before it gets dark.”

“Right, Pop.”

Gus put his foot on the brake and shifted into drive. He inched forward to the edge of the road. He looked both ways then back to the lane he wanted to pull into. Nothing was visible so he pulled out. He kept the speed right on the limit. Brian watched carefully everything his son did. Gus guided the car in its lane all the way along. He had no trouble keeping the speed and direction steady. He started to slow down as they approached the turn into the road leading to the cottage. A few minutes later he pulled the vehicle up in front of the cottage, put it in park, turned off the ignition and put on the emergency brake.

“How did I do, Pop?’ he asked.

“Perfect,” Brian said with a big smile.

“Perfect,” Bree and JR said at the same time.

Gus couldn’t wipe the smile off his face as they headed into the house.



*****



“This can’t be right,” Morgan stated as she and Richard turned onto the private lane that led to Edna’s Treasures.

Not only was Morgan, Richard’s photojournalist, but she was also his wife. They had met in college, while studying the tools of their trade. They fell in love over reporting the news.

“He said the first thing we’d see is a small cottage with a white picket fence. Well, that’s a small cottage and thereÂ’s the fence,” Richard snarked. Morgan elbowed her husband in the ribs.

“Hey, I’m driving here!” Richard groused good-naturedly. He had slowed down to a crawl to view the cottage and so that Morgan could photograph it.

“Who lives here? Did Kinney say?”

“Yeah, he did. He said Emmett Honeycutt and his partner Drew Boyd. Kinney said they gave permission to photograph the outside.”

“Wow. I thought they lived in the city.”

“They do. But use this place in the off season. Boyd is still connected to the Ironmen. And he just opened that sporting goods store.”

“I know, I bought your sneakers there. Did you know a portion of the net from his store goes to the Jason Kemp clinic?”

“They say Kinney played a part in that too.”

“You’re the journalist, go and journal.”

“I’m an art critic. I’m not supposed to be writing an expose.”

“Who says? Kinney called you because he wants to set the record straight. Ask him.”

“Maybe I will. You done here?” Richard asked Morgan.

“Yeah, I have enough. Let’s see what’s up the road.”

Richard put his foot on the gas to continue up the lane toward Edna’s Treasures. As they pulled up to park in front of the conjoined cottages they couldn’t help noticing the house at the end.

“One of these things is not like the other,” Morgan sang making Richard laugh.

“When you’re right, youÂ’re right. That house does seem out of place,” Richard commented as they both stared at Rachel and George’s modest home then looked back to the cottages.

“Let me get a few shots. This place reminds me of when we spent that summer driving around the U.K. We saw a lot of cottages that look just like this,” Morgan commented as she quickly took her photos before they walked up to the front door. “Look at these beautiful roses.” Morgan closed her eyes to inhale the soft scent, admiring the arbor with its twining roses.

“Makes no sense. Kinney and Taylor must be worth millions and yet they live in the middle of nowhere in a tiny gingerbread house,” Richard mumbled as he raised his hand to use the brass knocker. The door opened a few seconds later.

“Mr. Kinney?” Richard asked as he extended his hand.

“John Anderson,” John said as he shook Connolly’s hand and guided them into the cottage. “I’m Brian’s brother,” John added as he smiled. “You must be Mr. Connolly and Morgan?” John looked perplexed. Morgan giggled.

“He likes confusing people. I’m Morgan Connolly, Richard’s wife and his photographer. And you look almost exactly like Brian Kinney.”

“We like confusing people too,” John said and they all laughed. “My brother is out back grilling like a fiend. He sent me to give the tour. So let me start here, welcome to Edna’s Treasures.”

“That’s an unusual name,” Richard said as he jotted down some notes.

“We’ll explain it later. This is Brian and Justin’s end of the cottages,” John said as he showed the Connolly’s into the living room.

“That’s a Kinney!” Richard exclaimed with a gasp as they viewed the painting over the mantel. Morgan was snapping away.

“Yes, that’s John Aidan Brian Kinney and his lover Patrick Taylor,” John announced proudly.

“The resemblance is amazing,” Morgan stated the obvious. Richard nodded.

“Kitchen,” John said as he waved his hand toward the quaint kitchen.

“That’s an AGA!” Morgan snapped away at the cobalt blue stove. “Wherever did he find it?”

“Um, he didn’t. I did. Brian hired my company to restore this cottage which was basically a few walls and a hearth when he and Jennifer Taylor found it. This was Brian’s wedding gift to Justin.”

“Unbelievable,” Richard murmured as Morgan continued to take pictures. The Connolly’s were at the cottage less than fifteen minutes and already Morgan had taken dozens of pictures.

“Uncle John? Oh, hi!”

“Mr. Kinney? Thank you for inviting us,” Connolly began.

“Um, you’re welcome but I’m Gus. Brian Kinney is my dad.”

Richard and Morgan looked at Gus and John then up at the Kinney portrait and then again at the two Brian look-a-likes.

“Just how many of you are there?” Morgan asked.

“Too many,” Brian snarked as he came in from the porch. Taking off his oven mitt to shake hands, Brian introduced himself. “I’m Brian Kinney and I hope you’re both hungry!”

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 9





Jennifer and Seth walked into Emmett’s Place. It was afternoon and they wanted a popover and some coffee.

“Hi, hi, hi,” Emmett greeted them.

“Emmett,” Jennifer said in surprise.

“Afternoon, Emmett,” Seth added.

“I didn’t think you’d be here on a Saturday,” Jennifer observed.

“A rare day off from party planning. Sean and I are getting ready for a big shindig next weekend. I thought I’d help out here for the afternoon.”

“Well, it’s lovely to see you,” Jennifer said with a smile. “Could we get a couple of popovers and two coffees?”

“Coming right up, lovely lady. Have a seat at my table and I’ll sit with you for a minute.”

“That’s good, because there’s something I want to talk to you about.” Jennifer and Seth made their way to the raised table at the side of the bistro.

Emmett joined them quickly, carrying a tray with three mugs of coffee and a basket of popovers.

“Those look delicious as usual,” Seth said breaking a popover apart and taking a big bite.

“You’re one of our best customers,” Emmett chuckled. He helped himself to a popover too. “So, what did you want to talk to me about?”

“As you may be aware, Seth and I plan to tie the knot this spring.”

Emmett nodded. “About time, if you ask me.”

Seth laughed. “I’ve been hearing that a lot. I didn’t know I was so remiss about getting this beautiful woman to the altar.”

“It was my decision to have a long, and may I say, scrumptious engagement,” Jennifer said giving Seth’s hand a squeeze.

“It seems to have turned out to be the right decision if the glow on your faces means anything,” Emmett said with a gentle smile.

“Seth has made me very happy.”

“It’s written all over your face.”

Jennifer smiled lovingly at her fiancé. “We were wondering if it was too soon to start planning the wedding.”

“It’s never too soon to start planning,” Emmett said happily. “Have you thought about where you want this event and what you want it to be like?”

“Yes, I know what I want,” Jennifer smiled. “I want a small, intimate wedding. We have an idea where we’d like to have it and when, but we haven’t verified that yet.”

“I could do that for you,” Emmett volunteered. “I have an in with most of the good venues around town.”

“This venue isn’t in town,” Seth said.

“Oh, where is it?” Emmett asked with a frown.

“I’m going to ask Justin and Brian if I can marry Seth in the sun porch at the cottage,” Jennifer said. “Do you think they’ll go for that?”

“Oh, Sweetie, I think that’s a wonderful idea. I can just picture it. Brian’s spring flowers will all be in bloom. It will be like one of Justin’s paintings,” Emmett gushed.

“That’s what I thought,” Jennifer grinned happily.

“You don’t think it’s too presumptuous of us, do you?” Seth asked.

“I think they’ll be thrilled that you want to have the wedding at their home,” Emmett assured him.

“Emmett, is everything all right with those two?” Seth asked. “I’ve seen those bits of gossip in the papers.”

“I think that Finkie should be drawn and quartered and then hung on a pike in the middle of the town square,” Emmett stated fervently.

“We don’t have a town square anymore,” Seth laughed. “And I think it’s hard to hang someone on a pike when they’re in four pieces.”

“Point taken,” Emmett grinned evilly, “…then maybe a giant skewer.”

Seth laughed. “But I take it to mean that you think all is well at Edna’s Treasures.”

“Things are just fine,” Emmett said clearly.

“See, I knew it, Seth,” Jennifer responded adamantly.

“I know, darling,” Seth said patting her hand. “But it’s nice to hear it from someone so close to the situation.”

“Haven’t you talked to Justin about it?” Emmett asked in surprise.

“I haven’t had an opportunity,” Jennifer said. “He’s been so busy with his show and that Fractal movie. Now he’s working on a Rage cartoon. I didn’t want to bother him, and I knew none of that gossip could be true. I didn’t want him to think I was questioning his marriage either.”

“You just have to look at Brian and Justin together and you can see how much they love each other,” Emmett replied.

“I hope we can have that kind of relationship too,” Seth said looking into Jennifer’s eyes.

“I’d say you already have it,” Emmett smiled as he observed the two lovers.

“Hello, Emmett, Seth, Jennifer,” Raph greeted them as he, Hector and Curtis came into Emmett’s Place.

“Some of my other best customers,” Emmett grinned. He got up from the table. “Would you like to join Seth and Jennifer? I have to get back to work. What can I bring you?”

“I bet you tell all your customers that they’re your best one,” Hector laughed.

“Got that right,” Seth chuckled while Emmett blushed.

“Coffee and popovers and a Coke for our growing lad,” Raph said. “May we join you?”

“Slide on in,” Seth said. “How’s the new family doing?”

“Just great,” Hector replied.

“You enjoying having two dads, Curtis?” Jennifer asked.

“Um…” Curtis started.

“I’m sorry if I brought up a touchy subject,” Jennifer replied immediately. That wasn’t the response she had been expecting.

Hector and Raph looked at each other and waited. They had learned not to be hurt when Curtis answered like that. It meant he was giving thought to his answer. They had often jumped to the wrong conclusion when Curtis first came to their home. His hesitation was mistakenly taken to mean he was unhappy or didn’t like something. Now they knew it meant he was considering his answer. They smiled at Jennifer and gave her a silent wink to tell her to wait.

“It’s not that I don’t love my two dads. I do,” Curtis began. “And it’s not a touchy subject. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. But it’s hard for me to answer a question like that. I never really had a father before. And now I have two. It’s great, but I don’t know about the enjoyment part. They make me do my homework and clean my room and help with meals and dishes and cleaning the house. Yeah, I love every minute of it,” Curtis said with a happy twinkle in his eye. “What’s not to like?”

Jennifer and Seth looked at each other and then at Raph and Hector who had big grins on their faces. They all burst out laughing, including Curtis.

“You got a live one here, fellas,” Jennifer laughed.

“We know,” Hector replied, “and we wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“Popovers and drinks,” Emmett said as he brought a tray of coffee and a soda and a new basket of popovers. Curtis grabbed one and started munching. The sounds of pure bliss poured out of his body.

“These things ought to be illegal. They’re so good,” Raph exclaimed.

“I know,” Jennifer said, “and I shouldn’t have another one, but I’m going to.” She snagged a warm one out of the basket. “I have to be able to fit into a wedding dress but I’ll worry about that tomorrow.”

“You’ll look absolutely beautiful regardless,” Seth said.

“You can see why I keep him around,” Jennifer laughed as she kissed Seth’s cheek.

“Wait just a minute here,” Raph said. “Did I hear wedding in there somewhere?”

“Yes, in the spring,” Jennifer smiled. “I expect you all to be there.”

“You do?” Curtis asked.

“I do. Hey, that was good practice for the ceremony,” Jennifer chuckled.

“Definitely,” Seth grinned. “I love the sound of it.”

“We better get going,” Jennifer said. “We have a hot date later tonight.”

“Good to see you both,” Raph said.

“You too,” Seth replied before they headed out of the restaurant. “They’re a lovely family,” he said to Jennifer as they walked along the street.

“I’m so happy for Curtis and he seems to have filled an important place in Raph and Hector’s life.”

“Yeah.”

“You know,” Jennifer said thoughtfully. “That boy reminds me of Justin.”

“Justin? Isn’t the coloring a little off?” Seth asked.

Jennifer elbowed him in the ribs. “Naughty,” she said. “I meant in the way he answered my question. He sounded a little like a PSA with just a trace of wicked humor.”

“And that’s Justin?”

“Yeah,” Jennifer said with a faraway look in her eye. “It used to be.”

“Curtis could do a lot worse than be like Justin.”

Jennifer squeezed Seth’s hand as they made their way to the car.



*****



“Do you really think they’ll invite me to their wedding?” Curtis asked when Jenn and Seth left Emmett’s Place.

“That’s what it sounded like,” Hector assured Curtis.

“Wow!”

“Wow?” Raph asked with a questioning look on his face.

“I’ll get to practice some more of those social situation thingies,” Curtis said with a wicked grin.

“Looks like you will,” Hector replied, as both he and Raph had a gentle laugh at their son.



*****



“A slight change of plans, people,” Brian announced with authority. “A cool breeze just started whipping through the trees. I think we should eat in the porch.”

“Fine with me,” John agreed. They didn’t want anyone getting a chill. “Gus can help me put the food in the warmer while we set the table. Why don’t you show the Connolly’s the gardens and the stream while we still have good light? I believe the guys are at the stream; the girls are with Beau at the Wendy house.”

“Sounds good. We’ll get the girls on our way back from the stream,” Brian said as he showed the Connolly’s out through the porch door.

“Beautiful!” Morgan exclaimed. She flitted through the garden like a butterfly looking for nectar taking pictures at every conceivable angle. Brian wore an amused expression that caught Richard’s eye.

“What is it?” Richard asked as he watched Brian stare at his wife.

“She reminds me of Justin,” Brian replied.

“How so?”

“We look at a garden and see pretty flowers. They see miracles.” Richard gazed out at the carefully planned garden that now sported its Fall colors of rich deep reds, purple and gold. In his mind’s eye and recalling Justin’s paintings, Richard could see the garden in the Spring and the Summer.

“I must know who is your landscape artist! This is the garden that Mr. Taylor painted in his Seasons show, right?” Morgan asked with much admiration. Brian shrugged his shoulders then blushed.

“Let’s go down to the stream. The boys are there,” was all that Brian would reveal.

Brian wound the Connolly’s through the garden then past the Wendy house. They could hear the girls inside giggling as they played. Beau moved to the small porch of the Wendy house to watch Brian and the Connolly’s pass by.

“My god, is that a wolf?” Richard asked with more than a little concern.

“He thinks he is,” Brian quipped. “That’s Beau, John’s dog but he takes care of all us on this lane. Remind me to tell you about the fire and how Beau saved Emmett and Drew’s cottage,” Brian said proudly as he led his charges down the path toward the stream.

“Hey, Uncle Brian, is it time to eat?” Patrick asked as he ran up to his uncle.

“That’s why I’m here. Vittles is done been cooked, time for y’all to chow down,” Brian teased as he ruffled the boy’s flaming red hair.

“You’re silly, Uncle Bri. I’ll go get Poppa but you can get Uncle Justin,” Patrick said as he pointed toward Justin who was sitting on the great rock totally immersed in his sketch.

“Message received and understood, sir,” Brian gave Patrick a mock salute. “Please excuse me,” Brian turned toward the Connolly’s. “I have to pluck my mushroom off his rock.”

Richard chuckled as he commiserated. When Morgan was caught up in her art, nothing short of a blast could tear her away. They watched with fascination as Brian strode casually over to the great rock.

“Hey, Sunshine, we have guests and they came hungry like we agreed.” Brian said softly as he gently caressed his lover’s cheek. Justin leaned into Brian’s touch. Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes, seeing all the love he ever wanted radiating back at him from the hazel eyes. Justin couldn’t help but to smile his most brilliant smile for Brian. Morgan caught it all on film.

Hand in hand they went to meet their guests.

“Hi, I’m Justin and thank you for coming to our home,” Justin said sincerely.

“Thank you for inviting us,” Richard said as he stepped forward to shake the artist’s hand. They had briefly met at the gallery but Richard didn’t get a chance for an interview then. The clearing of a throat broke Richard out of his reverie.

“Forgive me; this is Morgan my photojournalist and my wife.” Morgan smiled prettily as she shook Justin’s hand.

“Nice to meet you both. Have you met Bobby and Patrick?” Justin asked.

“Yes, we’ve just met,” Bobby answered. “Let’s go get the girls and get back to the cottage. That breeze is getting cool.”

Everyone agreed and they headed back to the cottages.



*****



“Hey Squirt!” Brian called out from the path. “Lunch is getting cold, and it’s getting cool out here. Time to come in now.”

A strawberry blond streak of lightning came dashing out of the Wendy house and crashing into Brian’s legs.

“Dada, you found me!”

“I didn’t know you were lost, Squirt,” Brian said as he scooped up his daughter to introduce her to the Connolly’s. “Bree, this is Mr. and Mrs. Connolly. They’re here to have lunch with us.”

As Brian made the introductions, Beau with JR in tow sidled up to the group. Beau woofed softly, startling Morgan.

“Whoa! What a big dog. And who is this pretty young lady?”

“Hi, I’m JR, Gus’ sister,” JR introduced herself, and effectively confused the situation further. Brian chuckled.

“I’ll explain over lunch.”

The group walked back to the cottage.



*****



“Are you sure we can’t help with anything?” Morgan asked as Brian and John set all the food on the table. Bobby and Justin were making sure the little ones had washed up and were situated at the table. Gus and JR were helping with the beverages.

“No need,” Brian said. “Don’t be shy; dig in before it’s gone.” Brian passed around a huge bowl of salad that was very inviting.

They all began to enjoy their meal, making small talk and regaling the Connolly’s with stories about things that had happened at Edna’s Treasures and about the brave, heroic Beau.

“Please, someone must tell me who does your gardens!” Morgan begged. “It’s so beautiful,” Morgan continued to gush with praise.

“We’ve recently bought a house with just enough land for a garden and small patio but we can’t seem to agree on the arrangement,” Richard explained. “We’d love to consult your landscaper, if he’s reasonable, that is.”

“Our gardener is very reasonable, most days, unless he’s grumpy,” Justin replied.

“True,” John added. “He has a natural talent although he does have his eccentricities.”

“And he does employ some very unusual techniques,” Bobby nonchalantly commented.

“You make him sound like some old curmudgeon,” Richard ventured around an ear of corn.

“Curmudgeon, yes, but never say the ‘o’ word in front of him. We like to think he’s aging with perfection,” Gus said remembering something he had overheard Justin say to his dad.

“And he has been known to talk to the plants to encourage them to grow,” Justin said.

“Oh? What does he say to them?” Morgan asked as she took a sip of iced tea.

“Now grow, you fucker!” All eyes turned to the petite blond princess.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 10





“I’m so sorry,” Morgan apologized profusely as she helped to mop up the iced tea that spewed forth from her mouth. “Briana caught me a little off guard.”

“She does that sometimes,” Brian drawled as he gave the embarrassed woman fresh napkins and a fresh glass of tea.

“And someone should wash out your gardener’s mouth with soap,” Morgan grumbled.

“We’ve tried but it doesn’t work,” Justin said with a sigh.

“So who is this paragon of virtue?” Richard asked, wisely putting down his glass.

“Um, that would be Brian,” John ventured since no one else would admit it. “With help from Bree and Patrick,” he quickly added when he saw Brian’s brow arch. Richard and Morgan turned to look at their host who shrugged and had the good manners to blush.

“I needed a hobby,” Brian stated. “It gets quiet out here. Seriously, after all the craziness in the city, I find puttering in the garden relaxing. Besides, I’ve gotten some of my best ideas for ads out there. And the kids are the greatest helpers I could ever want. It’s good exercise and you can’t beat the fresh air.”

There were a lot of ‘mmm’s’ in agreement.

“Well, that doesn’t help me at all,” Morgan mumbled. Richard elbowed her arm. “Sorry. I can’t imagine Brian Kinney wanting to landscape my postage stamp of a garden.” Morgan pouted.

Brian got up, he crossed the porch to Bree’s art table and began to rummage through it. He came back to the table with a pad and pencil then plopped himself down next to Morgan.

“Draw,” Brian demanded.

“What?”

“You’re an artist, draw. Sketch me a picture of what your yard looks like.”

Morgan picked up the pencil and did a rough sketch of the layout of the backyard.

“What type of garden were you thinking of?”

“Something colorful but easy. I don’t want to keep digging at it all the time. Maybe a couple of small bushes.” Richard gave his spouse a crossed eye look. “Well, he asked,” Morgan said as she pleaded with Richard with her eyes not to make her more embarrassed than she already was. She handed the sketch back to Brian who went back to Bree’s table for a set of colored pencils.

“Pennialls, Dada!” Bree commanded.

“I know, Squirt, thank you. And the word is perennials.”

“Per-enn-i-als,” Bree repeated slowly.

“Good girl!” Brian praised his daughter. “A moment, Sunshine.”

Brian and Justin consulted with each other for a while as the rest of the family began to clear away some of the dishes to prepare for dessert. John took that time to answer Richard’s questions regarding Emmett’s cottage and the other house.

Justin’s hand moved furiously over the paper as Brian pointed to different areas of the page. Every few minutes, Brian would hand Justin a different colored pencil.

“Perfect, Sunshine!” Brian declared with a kiss to Justin’s lips. As Justin went to put the kettle on for tea and to make a fresh pot of coffee, Brian made some additional notes and lists. Then he handed it all back to Morgan.

“If you start now, you’ll have about a month to get your bulbs in before the ground freezes. Then you can start again in the Spring when the ground thaws. They’re simple flowerbeds. You can do it yourself or I know some gardeners you can hire cheap back in the Pitts.”

“Oh I know, Pop! The kids who did the garden at the Village. I love that garden,” Gus said with much enthusiasm.

“That’s right, Sonny Boy.”

“So you did have something to do with that project,” Richard said as he jotted down more notes.

“Very limited participation. The Village is my brother’s baby,” Brian said proudly, deflecting any praise from himself. He then excused himself to answer the call of the whistling tea kettle.

Morgan was staring dumbfounded at the garden plan she held in her hands.

“What does he mean by that?” Richard asked.

John, who was almost as modest as his brother, hesitated, leaving Bobby and Justin to sing their partners’ praises.

“Hunter Montgomery, the head of the Jason Kemp Clinic, consulted Brian regarding the abandoned apartment house in what’s now called the Village,” Justin began the explanation.

“Brian usually consults with John when it comes to anything dealing with hammer and nails,” Bobby joked. “This was no different. But John had a vision that extended beyond just the apartment building.”

“It was a vision that would eventually revitalize that part of town, offer low cost housing to many of Hunter’s kids and provide jobs as well as training,” Justin added.

“So the construction crews were kids?” Richard asked in horror.

“No,” John finally interjected. “My construction company was in charge. Everything is up to code and beyond. The kids were apprentices, learning like we all did, at the foot of a master carpenter or electrician or plumber. My business partner, Gordon Smith, is a certified teacher. After the whistle blew each day, the kids started their formal education regarding construction.”

“What part did Brian play?” Morgan asked, finally raising her head up from her garden plans.

“A very important one,” John said. “Although the city planners approved of my plans they really didn’t know me. They knew of me through my connection with the clinic project but I’m not a resident of Pittsburgh. Brian came to one of our meetings and offered his financial backing. No one messes with my brother,” John boasted.

“That’s not true. You guys mess with me all the time,” Brian growled as he carried in a heavy tray with the coffee and tea. “Sonny Boy, there’s more inside.”

“Sure thing, Pop,” Gus said as he jumped up to help.

“The city planners needed a little encouragement, so I encouraged,” Brian quipped as he passed around the coffee cups. Gus brought in a variety of desserts as Justin brought in the milk for the kids.

They sun porch became quiet again as they all enjoyed some of Emmett’s creations. Rachel had sent over some home baked cookies for the kids. The younger kids decided to take their cookies and milk to the Wendy house, leaving the adults to talk. Beau went with the kids to supervise.

After a while, Brian spoke up.

“You didn’t come here to talk about garden plans. Ask,” Brian said bluntly.

“All right,” Richard countered. “What about these rumors, any truth to them?”

“Which rumors?” Brian challenged.

“Let’s start with those twins.”

“Now wait a minute,” Justin raised his voice in anger. “What are you implying?”

“I’m implying nothing. You’ve obviously spent a lot of time with Troi` and Tre` Donahue. Has it gone beyond the professional collaboration?” Richard asked boldly.

“No, it hasn’t,” Justin answered honestly. “I spent a lot of time searching for the right people at PIFA. I wanted bright fresh ideas. I found it with those kids. They’re smart and they have potential.”

“You sound proud of them,” Richard commented.

“I am and of the work we accomplished.”

“It shows,” Richard said softly. “Tell me, why the distance between you and Brian at the gallery?”

“What distance?” Justin asked.

“He means, Sunshine, why did I step away when you were being interviewed,” Brian explained. “Because I don’t belong there.”

“Of course you belong there, Brian. I wouldn’t be painting if it wasn’t for you,” Justin said with love in his voice.

“Justin, the point of the opening was to showcase Justin Taylor art work. Not Brian and Justin Taylor. I’m your life partner. I’m not your assistant and you know I hate the smell of turpentine. If this had something to do with Kinnetik then it would have been the other way around. But this is your time. It has nothing to do with me.” Brian got up and paced over to the door. He watched as the sun began to dip lower touching the tops of the trees.

“Brian likes his privacy,” Bobby interjected. He saw Richard cringe, thinking he had overstepped his boundaries.

“Brian, behave,” Justin admonished. “They’re here because you asked them to come. Now let them do their job. More coffee?” Justin asked as he freshened Richard’s cup.

Brian came back to the table looking contrite. He reached over to take Justin’s hand into his.

“Brian has always had a way of pushing me,” Justin tried to explain their unique dynamics. “He always seems to know when something’s for my own good, whether I like it or not. And he’s usually right. To someone who doesn’t know us, Brian’s actions may look cold or uncaring but...”

“Enough, Justin,” Brian growled with no malice in his tone. “You were all invited to see Justin Taylor’s latest creations. And that’s just what you did.”

“What about the photo where you’re driving off in two cars?” Richard had the nerve to ask.

“We often drive into Pittsburgh in separate vehicles. We often drive in together. The four of us have been known to drive off in four different directions and have all ended up in the same place at the same time. How the fuck do you think we get the cars back home?” Brian barked. Justin patted his arm.

“Um, do you have any material on Kinney, the artist?” Morgan asked, defusing Brian’s ire.

“Yes, we do. Brian, can you help me with the books?” Justin asked knowing Brian wouldn’t refuse. Dutifully, Brian got up to help Justin.

“He hates me, doesn’t he?” Richard asked to no one in particular.

“No, he doesn’t,” John reassured the reporter. “If Brian was really angry, you’d know it. He’s just very protective. Protective of his privacy and of his family and especially of Justin. As far as I know he’s felt responsible for Justin since the day they met. And nothing will change that.”

“That’s a heavy burden,” Richard commented.

“Perhaps, but one no one can take away from him,” John said.

“Why?” Morgan asked innocently.

John and Bobby smiled.

“Love. Brian loves Justin. Always has, always will.”



*****



After they had finished looking through the books on Kinney the artist, Richard and Morgan asked if they could talk privately with the children.

“Only if they agree,” Brian said emphatically.

“Of course," Richard said. "I’d like to start with Gus.”

“Sonny Boy,” Brian called. “You ready for your interview?”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus replied as he came down the stairs from Brian’s office.

“I’ll leave you to it,” Brian said as he went to help Justin clean up in the kitchen.

“Would you like to walk down to the stream? It’s lovely down there, and Morgan would like to take some more pictures before the light is gone,” Richard explained. “I think the breeze has died down.”

“Okay,” Gus agreed.

They set out down the path with Gus leading. “The stream is one of my favorite spots here at the cottage,” Gus informed them.

“Why’s that?” Richard asked.

“It’s where Bree was baptized and…”

“Wait,” Richard ordered. “Your sister was baptized in the stream?”

“Yep. Father Tom baptized her here,” Gus said as they entered the clearing. “The whole family was here, including Edna Galloway who Edna’s Treasures was named after.”

“What do you know about this Edna Galloway?” Richard asked.

“You really should ask Pop and Justin about her. They met her in South America when they were hunting for information about John Aidan Brian Kinney. She was really old when they met, and she died not too long after Bree was christened.”

“I meant to ask your father at lunch,” Richard said as he jotted down the information that Gus was providing.

Gus sat down on the big rock, and Richard joined him. Morgan was snapping pictures.

“You don’t live here … at the cottage I mean,” Richard said.

“No, I live with my mothers and JR in Pittsburgh.”

“Do you feel strange about having four parents?”

Gus chuckled. “Not at all. I don’t know anything else. And they’re all great in their own way.”

“You don’t have any conflict with them?” Richard knew most teenagers were at loggerheads with their parents, and Gus had twice as many to deal with. He wanted to see what Gus would say. That would tell him how truthful the young man was being.

“We all have our moments. I did something recently that I’m really sorry for, but everybody was great about it.”

“Oh, what was that?”

“Um … it’s not something I want put in the paper.” Richard nodded and flipped his pad closed indicating it would be off the record. “It involved a guy I thought I was in love with,” Gus admitted carefully.

“You’re gay?”

“Yeah, I thought you knew.”

“I’d never guess by looking at you.”

“Thanks, I think,” Gus laughed. “Anyway, this love thing turned out badly, but the whole family helped me.”

“You mean your mothers and Brian and Justin?”

“No, I mean the whole extended family. It seems like there are hundreds of them at times,” Gus said with a chuckle.

“You seem lucky to have such a caring family.”

“I am,” Gus stated. “I can rely on them to help me no matter what happens.”

“Then you definitely are a lucky lad.”

Gus nodded. “Ready to go back?”

They made their way back to the Wendy house where Gus called JR out.

“I don’t know why you want to talk to me,” JR said. “I’m not really part of this family,” she added as they sat in the lawn furniture outside the sun porch. The sun was now even lower in the sky.

“Do they make you feel like an outsider?” Richard asked.

“Oh, no!” JR corrected. “I just meant that Gus’ fathers aren’t my father.”

“But you still spend time here?” Richard asked.

“Yeah, a lot. And we go riding most weekends. We will tomorrow,” JR supplied.

“Where do you ride?”

“At Uncle John’s farm. It’s a place for kids who are in trouble. They come there to work over the summer. They have horses there, and we’re learning to ride. I like horses.”

Richard chuckled. “Who all goes riding?”

“Gus, and … everybody,” JR replied thinking that was the simplest way to answer the question.

“You like it here?”

“I love it here. It’s so calm and peaceful.”

“Do you ever see Brian and Justin fighting?”

“Not as much as I see my moms fighting,” JR replied honestly.

Richard was about to pursue that, but decided against it. “Could I talk to Bree now?”

“She’s in the Wendy house. She has tea ready for you.”

“She does?” Richard asked in surprise.

“Don’t say anything, but it’s pretend tea,” JR whispered to him.

“I see,” Richard chuckled as he made his way over to the Wendy house. Morgan followed him ready to get some pictures. “Hi, Bree, may I come in?”

“Yep,” Bree replied as Richard made his way through the doorway. “And my name’s Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” she corrected him.

“Pardon me,” Richard said keeping a straight face. “May I call you Bree?”

Bree nodded and indicated the little chair on the opposite side of the small table from where she was sitting. Richard carefully lowered himself onto it. It wasn’t exactly comfortable. The huge dog was lying along the side of the room. He raised his head as Richard settled, and then put his head back down. Morgan was snapping some pictures and the dog ignored her.

“Do you have tea with your fathers in here?” Richard asked Bree. He would have liked a picture of that.

“Sometimes.” She poured imaginary tea into two cups.

“This mural is wonderful,” Morgan said trying to find a way to photograph it.

“My Daddy painted it.”

“I can tell.” Morgan wished she could stand where Beau was lying. That would be the best spot to get a photograph of the mural. “Could I get Beau to move?” she asked.

“Beau, come here,” Bree ordered. Beau was immediately by her side.

“He’s very well trained,” Richard observed as Morgan took her pictures of the mural.

“Yep, but he won’t let me go to the stream if I’m not apposed to,” Bree complained.

“I see,” Richard said trying not to laugh.

“Drink your tea before it gets cold,” Bree told him, and Richard took an imaginary sip. Morgan got a photo of that, before making her way back outside so she could stand up straight. She hadn’t been invited to tea, but there were only two chairs. “Okay, Beau, lay down,” Bree said, and Beau did as she bid.

“I hear that JR goes riding. Do you go too?”

Bree nodded. “And my cousin Patrick. He broke his arm, but it’s all better now and he can ride again.”

“That’s good. You help your father with the gardening?” Richard asked.

“I like gar-gar,” Bree said using the baby word they still employed.

“Does your other father garden too?”

Bree shook her head. “Nope, Daddy and me paint together, but Dada and me do the gar-gar.”

“Do your fathers do anything together?” Richard asked, noting the individual activities that the little girl had pointed out.

“They kiss a lot,” Bree giggled. “And they sit in the chaise together all the time.”

“Your daddies love each other very much?”

Bree smiled. “Yeah, and they love me too.”

“I just bet they do,” Richard said. “Thank you for talking to me, Bree, and for the tea.” Richard managed to stand up out of the tiny chair which was no easy feat.

“You welcome,” Bree said as the man made his way out of the playhouse.

“Now we can relax,” Bree said to Beau who gave a big yawn.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 11





“I just don’t get them,” Richard grumbled to Morgan as the couple slowly walked down the lane toward Emmett and Drew’s cottage.

“What’s not to get? They obviously love each other and have undying respect from the brother and brother-in-law. The kids seem healthy, very well mannered and extremely smart.”

“And that seems normal to you? Briana is what, five? What five year old knows what a perennial is? The boy is gay, you know. He thinks nothing of growing up with two mothers and two fathers and according to him, he has hundreds in his extended family.”

“Richie, if I didn’t know you better, I’d think you were homophobic. But I do know you, so I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt before I pound you into the ground.”

"Morg, they just don’t seem real. They’re filthy rich and yet they live in a ‘cottage’ smaller than our house. Kinney is his own gardener and Taylor serves coffee like a waiter. I just don’t understand.”

“Babe, just ask them.” The couple turned around to return to the cottage.



*****



“This is a test, right?” Brian grumbled as he put away the last of the cutlery.

Justin was sitting on top of the granite counter watching and listening to Brian rant. He wisely remained quiet.

“This is a test and I’m failing. What made me think that I could convince a pair of breeders that this is normal? That we like this type of normal. That after years of my own personal brand of pain management, I like living out in the middle of nowhere. That I love my nice quiet life with you and the Squirt and with them on the other side.” Brian pointed toward the Anderson-Morrison end of the cottage. “And that I even love it when our cwazy wittle family invades us on occasion. And if you ever repeat that to anyone I will hang you from the rafters like one of your paintings.” Brian warned his spouse who was innocently swinging his legs looking extremely sweet.

Justin held up his hands, shaking his head feigning complete innocence. Brian narrowed his gaze then walked into the ‘v’ of Justin’s legs.

“I thought if they saw us, got to know us, maybe they’d see that there’s no basis for all those rumors. And that you have to have space to go out and be Justin Taylor.” Brian sighed as Justin wrapped his arms around him.

“Can I make a suggestion?” Justin ventured.

“Sure. Can’t make things any worse.”

“You’ve been interviewed before, so have I, but it’s always been away from home, never this personal before. Why don’t we make it a little more formal? Let’s take them up to the attic office. You sit behind your desk. Let Richard conduct the interview like he normally would. Then when we all feel more at ease, we can bring it back down here again.”

“It’s worth a try. You’ll be with me?”

“Right where I belong. Let me put on a fresh pot of coffee and tea. Why don’t you bring up some fruit and muffins.”

“How did you get to be so smart?”

“Learned from the master,” Justin quipped as he jumped down off the counter to prepare for the interview.



*****



“So what made you want to live in a cottage? You both came from the city. Isn’t this a little mundane for you both?” Richard asked the couple as Morgan took pictures of them.

Brian was sitting at his desk and although very informally attired, his demeanor, none the less, spoke of authority in a businesslike way.

“When we met the Andersons, we both fell in love with their cottage. Claire, John’s mother, would rent it out for the summer.”

“That’s the cottage attached to the other end of the sun porch,” Richard confirmed.

“That’s right. Justin and I would stay there when we visited. When we decided to make our commitment, I wanted to be able to live somewhere that afforded us the privacy I knew we’d need as we started our new life together. Our family can be a little...”

“Overwhelming,” Justin supplied.

“He’s being polite. They’re a bunch of noisy busybodies with nothing better to do than to barge in at any moment. More than half of them have seen me naked.”

“Brian, that means nothing. At least half of Pittsburgh has seen you naked.”

“Only the gay half, Sunshine. Next question,” Brian stated as Richard and Morgan were trying to compose themselves.

“Um, ah, I assume you are referring to your portraits that Justin has painted over the years,” Richard said recovering from the Brian bomb.

“No,” Brian and Justin said in unison. Richard and Morgan leaned in closer.

“Let’s just say that amongst our community, Brian had a certain reputation and I’m not speaking about his business prowess,” Justin said with a twinkle.

“I don’t understand,” Richard said. Morgan broke out into giggles. “Morgan?”

“I’ll explain it to you later, Richie. I remember going to a club with my girlfriends. We were just starting college, and well, we liked to watch,” Morgan blushed. She and Richard were about Justin’s age. And while Richard had no reason to hang out on Liberty Avenue, apparently Morgan found at least one.

“Morgan?!” Richard looked aghast. Brian tried to look sympathetic as Justin and Morgan found they had something in common.

“I know the club well. My best friend Daphne and I would go there to watch too. Until...”

“Until he became my stalker,” Brian interjected. “Next question.”

“The rumors implied an impending break up,” Richard stated.

“Made by a bitter old queen who wouldn’t know the real thing even if it bit him on the ass,” Brian spat. Justin laid his hand on Brian’s arm, successfully releasing the tension that Brian harbored. “We fight like any other couple that’s shared a long and sometimes difficult history. But Justin has been my partner from almost the moment we met. Without him I’d be some drugged out old club queen. With him, I like to think I’m a decent human being.”

Justin stood behind Brian, placed his hand on Brian’s shoulder and squeezed.

“Next question.”

“What about monogamy?”

“What about it?”

“It’s been written that monogamy between same sex couples, especially male couples, is almost impossible to achieve.”

“And who wrote that?” Brian snarked. “No doubt some hetero hypocrite who wouldn’t know a committed couple when he saw them. I won’t speak for the gay community, I have no right to, but Justin and I made our commitment seven years ago in a ceremony with hundreds of witnesses. We haven’t broken our vows.”

“Dada!” Briana called up to the balcony.

“She who must be obeyed,” Brian murmured as Justin and Morgan giggled again.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian answered as he looked over the balcony rail.

“Are we going riding tomorrow?”

“That’s the plan.”

“Can I call Ashley and Sheldon?”

“May I.”

“Yes you may, Dada!”

“No, you … damn,” Brian said as his chin hit his chest. “Sonny Boy!”

“Yeah, Pop?”

“Help the Squirt make her calls, please.”

“Sure thing, Pop.” Brian turned to see three very amused faces smiling at him.

“When did I lose control?” he grumbled then sat back down at his desk.



*****



“Look at the color of that sky,” Emmett observed as he came out of Emmett’s Place.

Drew looked off to the east. “It is kind of ominous. I’m glad you’re done for the day.”

“And the wind’s really picking up. Let’s head to the cottage before it hits,” Emmett said as they climbed into Drew’s Hummer.

“Yeah.” Drew gave a last look at the sky before he got inside the vehicle and started the engine.



*****



“Brian,” John called up to the office.

“Yes, John,” Brian said coming out to the balcony.

“We need to get the grills stowed away and the lawn furniture in the shed.”

“Why?”

“Nor’easter,” was all John said.

Brian glanced out at the sky. It looked gray. The wind was picking up as the trees were being buffeted around. “I’ll be right down.”

“Is something wrong?” Morgan asked as Brian stuck his head back in the office.

“Storm coming.”

“I’ll see to the kids,” Justin said.

Brian nodded and turned to go down the stairs.

“Can I help?” Richard asked, as he noted the worried look on Brian’s face.

“Yeah, if you don’t mind helping us stow some of the lawn furniture.”

“Not at all,” Richard said as he followed Brian down the stairs.

“Can I do anything, Justin?” Morgan asked.

“Let’s find the kids and see if there’s anything out by the Wendy house that needs to be put away,” Justin told her.

While Brian and John were wrangling the grills into the shed, Richard started rounding up the lawn furniture and cushions. Justin and Morgan found the kids in the playhouse.

“We need to put everything away and go inside,” Justin told them. “There’s a storm coming.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree said. She quickly collected her dolls from the porch. JR pulled the two chairs inside. Justin started closing the shutters on one of the windows. When Morgan saw what he was doing, she took the other window and latched the shutters on it.

“Thanks,” Justin said. “It looks like a Nor’easter. They can be bad.”

“All done, Daddy,” Bree said.

“Good girl, let’s get inside,” Justin said as the two girls exited the playhouse. Justin closed the door behind them and made sure that it had caught securely. He took Bree’s hand and they hustled across the lawn.

Gus and Bobby had joined the others. The last of the lawn furniture was being carried to the shed. Patrick and Beau were watching from the sun porch where Bobby had told them to stay. He opened the door for Justin and the girls. The wind immediately whipped it out of his hand.

“Wow!” Patrick said as they all hurried inside and Justin managed to pull the door closed.

“Woof,” Beau added.

“It’s okay, Beau,” Justin told the big dog. “They’ll be inside in a minute.”

Brian opened the door to the sun porch and braced his weight against it while the others got inside. He followed them in and pulled the door shut.

“It’s going to be a nasty one,” John said.

Brian nodded. Morgan and Richard looked at Brian’s brother.

“How does he know?” Richard asked.

“Look at it outside,” Brian chuckled. “The sky’s black now, and ominous, and it’s windy as hell. Plus, John has a sixth sense about these things.”

“Maybe we should head back to town,” Richard said looking at Morgan uncertainly.

“I wouldn’t recommend going anywhere,” John stated. “You’re safe and warm here with us, so stay put.”

“I agree,” Brian said. “These storms can be dangerous.”

“Should I get the candles, Dada?” Bree asked.

“That’s a good idea, Squirt.”

“I’ll help,” Patrick volunteered.

The two youngsters ran into the house to collect candles.

“How do they know to do that?” Morgan asked.

“They’ve grown up here,” Bobby said. “They know these kinds of storms can knock out the electricity. There’s so many trees around, and one usually seems to take out a line somewhere in the vicinity.”

“And the phone too,” Justin added.

“Woof,” Beau contributed.

“Make yourselves comfortable and I’ll see what we can rustle up for dinner,” Bobby said. “We might as well have something warm while we still have power.”

“You guys sound like this is nothing to worry about,” Richard observed as the wind howled around the sun porch.

“John overbuilt this place,” Brian stated. “I think it could withstand a tornado.”

“I don’t think we need to test that out,” John laughed, but he was obviously pleased with Brian’s endorsement of his building prowess.

“Would you like to stay in the porch and watch the storm, or we could put on a fire in the living room?” Justin asked.

“I really think we should leave. Who knows how long this may last,” Richard stated.

“And then we’ll be responsible when a tree falls on your car,” Bobby said with a smile. “I don’t think so.”

“We had the whole family stuck here for days at Christmas time last year,” Justin informed them, “and we managed all right. Don’t worry about it.”

“I agree,” Morgan said. “I don’t want to be out in this storm. And a fire sounds lovely.”

“A fire it is,” Brian said.

“I’ll get some more wood in case we need it,” Gus offered.

“Okay, but if there’s any lightning, get your butt back in here immediately,” Brian ordered.

“Right, Pop.”

“I’ll come with you, Gus. That door will be impossible with an armload of wood,” John said. The two left the sun porch.

The sky was darker still and the wind had started to roar.

“Let’s go start some dinner,” Bobby said. Justin and Morgan followed him to the kitchen while Brian headed for the living room to start a fire.

Bree and Patrick were in the kitchen setting candles on the counter and table.

“I did the living room, Daddy,” Bree said.

“We put a candle in each bedroom too,” Patrick said. “These are for the sun porch.” Patrick still had three or four candles in his arms.

“Patrick, can you and Bree go get the candles ready on our side of the house?” Bobby asked.

“We can do that,” Bree said, and the two ran off to the sun porch.

“Are they always so agreeable?” Richard asked with a smile.

“Hardly,” Justin said. “They have their moments, especially the princess.”

“But they seem to know just what to do, and they don’t argue,” Morgan said.

“They know when the situation is serious,” Bobby explained. “We’ve had storms before.”

“I can’t get over how cooperative they are,” Morgan chuckled. “You have to include this in your article, Richard.”

“I intend to,” her husband replied.

Justin smiled as he pulled some hamburger out of the fridge. “How does spaghetti and meatballs sound?”

“Heavenly,” Morgan laughed.

“Then spaghetti it will be,” Justin agreed.

They quickly made dinner and sat out in the sun porch to eat it. The lightning began and the rain poured down. They were just finishing dinner and about to have coffee and dessert when the lights went out. Brian and John quickly lit the candles and they all moved to the living room and sat around the fire. It was very cozy. The flickering candlelight was soft and comforting as the storm howled outside.

Bobby excused himself for a minute, and returned to say that the light was on at George and Rachel’s house, and there appeared to be one at Drew and Emmett’s as well.

“They must have returned just before the storm broke,” Justin said. “We should call and see how the roads are.” He walked to the kitchen only to find the phone line out too. He tried his cell but it was down too. “No luck,” he said. “Did you put a light in the window for us, Bobby?”

“Yes, everybody’s okay,” Bobby replied.

“What are these lights?” Richard asked.

“It’s a system John devised so that we can tell if everything’s okay in each house. If we’re all right, we place a flashlight in a certain window. Then everybody knows everything’s fine,” Brian explained. “If it’s not we place it on blink. That means they could use some help. We can find out how everyone is without venturing into the storm, and it works when the phones are out.”

“Very clever,” Morgan responded.

“Thanks,” John said proudly. It had been his idea.

They all settled into the living room to enjoy their dessert. Morgan and Richard leaned against each other, while Brian and Justin shared an overstuffed armchair, as did Bobby and John. The children sat on the floor where they had cookies and soft drinks. The adults had coffee or tea and some cookies of their own. Luckily they had just made it before the power went out.

“Tell us a story, Unca John,” Bree asked after a bit.

“Which one would you like?”

Bree thought about it for a minute. “Tell us the weddings.”

“Weddings?” Morgan asked.

“The squirt likes to hear about Bobby and John’s wedding,” Brian said with his patented smirk.

“Followed by yours and Justin’s,” Bobby added.

“Weddings it is,” John pronounced. He proceeded to take most of the next hour, with many and sundry interruptions by all present, to tell the story of his own wedding and the near catastrophes they had endured before it could take place. There were lots of jokes and smart remarks too. Everybody laughed and enjoyed the tale. This was followed by the story of Brian and Justin’s wedding at Babylon. It also elicited many comments and much teasing.

At the end of the tales, Brian looked at Justin.

“Time for bed, squirt,” Brian said.

“You too, Patrick,” Bobby added.

This elicited huge groans from both children.

“Can JR sleep with me tonight?” Bree asked.

“That’s up to JR,” Justin said.

“Okay,” JR replied. “I’m kind of tired anyway. Let’s go, Bree.”

The two girls stood up and got ready to go to Bree’s room.

“Tuck me in, Daddy and Dada?” Bree asked.

“You got it, squirt. Go get ready.”

“We should try to get out of here,” Richard said.

“No way,” Justin declared. “You’re staying overnight. It’s not fit out there for man or beast.”

“Woof,” Beau said.

“See,” Justin giggled.

“Have you got room?” Morgan asked.

“You can have the sun porch or our bedroom,” Brian offered.

“The sun porch?”

“I bet you didn’t even see the bed,” Justin laughed. “Come and I’ll show you.”

“And we’ll say good night,” John said as he, Bobby and Patrick headed to their side of the cottages.

“Here’s the bed,” Justin said as he led their guests to the porch and pulled back the screen.

“Wow!” Morgan said. “I’d love to sleep here … with the storm all around us.”

“It’s pretty great,” Justin admitted. “I have some sweats you can wear to bed … or not,” he said with a big smile.

“Thanks,” Richard replied. “This is so not what I expected when I came for this interview.”

“You always have to be prepared for the unexpected,” Brian said as he brought in the sweats. “We’re going to turn in soon too. Feel free to stay up as long as you like. Just make sure all the candles are out before you go to sleep.”

“Thanks so much,” Morgan said.

“You know where the bathroom is,” Justin said.

“Got it. Thanks again,” Richard said. Justin and Brian headed for the house to tuck in the girls and make sure Gus was settled.

“Who would have thought we’d be doing this tonight?” Richard observed.

“I think it’s kind of romantic,” Morgan said with a smile.

“You would.”

“And so do you, if you would admit it.”

“Maybe a little romantic,” Richard said with an affectionate smile. He pulled on some sweat pants and climbed into the big brass bed. “This is so comfortable. I have so much to write down, but I think it can wait till morning.”

“I think so too,” Morgan agreed as she climbed in beside him. She leaned back against her husband and they watched the storm for a while before snuffing out the candle and falling asleep.


Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 12




“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett announced loudly as he breezed through the sun porch door carrying a large basket.

“What? Who?” Richard questioned as he tried to get his bearings through his sleep fog. Morgan, very startled at the cheerful and very early in the morning visit, yelped.

“Emmett,” Brian growled as he came through his sliding door that attached his bedroom with the porch. Thankfully he was wearing clothes, albeit a pair of skimpy cut offs. Brian rarely felt the morning chill.

“Mmm,” Emmett purred appreciatively, “you still have it, Brian.”

“And you’re not going to get it. Now why are you here at this ungodly hour terrorizing my guests?” Brian grumbled but he took the basket from Emmett, ferreting out a popover.

“I come bearing breakfast and to make sure you kids are all right.”

“Yes, mother, we’re fine,” Brian mumbled around the popover.

“Good. Now aren’t you going to introduce me to this adorable couple in your bed?” Emmett asked as he smiled brightly. Brian swallowed then made the introductions.

“Emmett Honeycutt, may I present Mr. and Mrs. Richard Connolly. Richard, Morgan, the soon to be late Emmett Honeycutt. Pittsburgh’s premiere event planner, the biggest busybody this side of the Mason-Dixon line and our...”

“Auntie Emm!” Bree shrieked as she ran into the sun porch to greet her favorite aunt.

“Fairy godmother,” Brian continued as Emmett scooped up Bree for a big hug. Brian took another bite of his popover. “Emm, to what do I owe the displeasure?”

“Drewsie was a little worried.”

“Where is that hunk of yours?”

“Surveying the damage. A panel of the green house blew out. He’s boarding it up as we speak. Oh, I already went to Rachel and George; they’re fine too. Just lost a few shingles.”

“I’ll have a crew come out here on Monday,” John said as he strolled through his door. He made a grab for the basket and located a cranberry muffin. Without shame or hesitation, John took a large bite.

“Does anybody care that there are starving children around here?” Gus asked as he joined the party, looking pathetic. John turned over the basket to the supposed starving child.

“Coffee!” Brian barked.

“Yes, sire,” Emmett said as he backed away then scurried into the kitchen on the Kinney-Taylor side.

“Um,” Morgan murmured around the blanket that was drawn up to her chin. Gus waved the basket in her direction.

“I think they want a little privacy so they can get up and dressed?” John suggested.

“Oh,” Gus and Brian said with a shrug.

“Come on, Squirt, let’s go wake up your daddy,” Brian said with an evil grin. He took Bree’s hand as she skipped along.

“I’ll help Emmett,” Gus said as he left with the basket.

“I’ll leave you so you guys can get dressed,” John said as he turned with his muffin to go back to his side of the cottage.

“Do people normally show up out of nowhere and barge in here at all hours?” Morgan asked over the blanket.

“Yes!” John said just before he disappeared through his door.



*****



“Good morning!” Emmett said cheerfully as he poured a large bowl of whipped up eggs into a pan. “Don’t be shy, I don’t bite, unless you want me to,” Emmett flirted shamelessly with Richard.

Morgan and Richard had followed their noses to the kitchen. Emmett had warmed up some of the muffins. The coffee was on the counter and the kettle was boiling away for tea. The couple sat at the counter.

“Hey, Babe,” Drew called out as he came through the front door.

“Hiya, honey! My garden okay?” Emmett asked as he gave his man a kiss then stuck a mug of coffee in his hand. Richard was dumbstruck at seeing the former football idol.

“It’s fine. But I’m glad we came here when we did. I didn’t realize we left the lawn furniture still out. They’d be halfway to Harrisburg if we hadn’t stowed them in time,” Drew said as he took a sip of his coffee. “And who is this?” Drew asked as he flirted with Morgan.

“Where are my manners?” Emmett gushed as he made the introductions. The family came in all chattering away about the storm and preparing for breakfast. Rachel and George came in with a huge slab of smoked cured bacon. They all went into the sun porch to have their feast.



*****



“So you asked Brian for a plot of land to build Emmett his dream house? And Brian said yes?” Richard asked Drew as the two strolled back down the lane.

John was getting everyone ready to take them to the farm for the riding lessons. Bobby and Justin had decided to go with them this time. Brian wanted to take a better look at the gardens and the Wendy house to inspect for any damage. Morgan was having a pleasant conversation with Rachel, George and Emmett in the sun porch.

“Yes, he did. Brian and John own this whole tract of land. When John relocated Rachel’s house, Brian sold them their plot. I had this scheme to build Emmett his cottage. John designed the house and his company built it. Brian sold this land to us.”

“Why out here?”

“Me and Emm are country boys at heart. We love the city but when Brian built his cottage for Justin, let’s just say we fell in love with it too. We spend as much time here as possible.”

“Let me ask you something, the rumors about Brian and Justin breaking up, untrue?”

“Untrue. Those boys are tighter than a litter of hogs at their mama’s teats. Only the Almighty will ever separate them. Look, they’re not perfect, no one is, well maybe Brian Kinney is, but they made their vows and they’re keeping them.”

The two men came up to the front of Emmett’s dream home.

“You want to see inside?” Drew asked the eager young man. Richard nodded enthusiastically. “Come on, then,” Drew said as he opened the door.



*****



“So John had his cottage trucked here then transplanted it?” Morgan asked with awe.

“Yup and our house too,” Rachel confirmed.

“Why?”

“John’s cottage? Brian loves John and Bobby so very much. He was responsible for getting those two together. And Patrick helped to bring Brian back a little closer to his faith.”

“And your house?”

“Bridgeton had some arcane law that gave them the right to claim back some of its land. Unfortunately, our house was smack in the middle of that land. Our house would have been torn down,” Rachel said as George took her hand. Rachel’s eyes filled with tears.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to dredge up painful memories,” Morgan apologized.

“Not painful, happy. Apparently, it was Patrick’s suggestion. Brian and John made it happen.”

“They’re a lot alike, aren’t they?” Morgan commented.

“Something about those Kinney men,” Rachel smiled. Just then Brian walked back into the porch to be greeted by a pair of sappy female smiles.

“What?” Brian asked as Rachel and Morgan giggled. George just shook his head.



*****



“You have everything?” Brian asked as he walked the Connolly’s to their car. John had called to say he and the rest of the ‘riding club’ were staying a little while longer at the farm. The Nor’easter had done some damage to Claire’s house and at the farm. John was helping to patch things up until he could get a crew out there to make permanent repairs.

“Yes, thank you,” Morgan replied as she got into their car.

“You have enough material?” Brian asked Richard.

“Too much,” Richard said not fully knowing what to do with all he learned during their overnight at chez Kinney-Taylor/Anderson-Morrison.

“Yoo hoo!” Emmett called out before the Connollys made their escape. He sashayed his way to the car door then shoved a small basket of goodies at Richard. “Just something for the road,” Emmett said with a toothy grin. “Bye, ya’ll, now don’t be a stranger!” Emmett commanded as Richard started the car.

Richard smiled as he nodded. Morgan waved at Brian and Emmett as they drove away.

“Emm, I think I made the biggest fucking mistake of my whole life,” Brian said as he watched the Connolly’s drive down the lane.

“Oh peshaw! The biggest mistake of your life was taking so long to put a ring on Justin’s finger. It’ll be okay, honey.”

“I wish I could be so sure.”

“Sweetie, have I ever steered you wrong? Brr, it’s getting chilly, let’s go in and rustle up something comforting for dinner. Your brood will be home soon.”

Emmett put his arm around his friend to lead Brian back into the house to start dinner.



*****



“Dada, we fixeded Gamma Claire’s house,” Bree yelled as she ran into Edna’s Treasures.

“You did? Did you hammer and nail?”

Bree bobbed her head. “There was a big hole in the window and we covered it with a board.”

“We did, did we?” Brian laughed. “Sounds like fixing the house was more fun than riding.”

“I think it was,” Justin laughed as he came into the kitchen. “And look who we found.”

Jennifer and Seth followed Gus and JR into the kitchen.

“Hello, Brian,” Jennifer said. “I wanted to see my granddaughter ride. They all did so well.”

“Jennifer, Seth,” Brian said, “good to see you both. You going to be staying for dinner?”

“Are we invited?” Seth laughed.

“Of course you are,” Justin assured them.

“Looks like you and Emmett are already cooking,” Jennifer observed.

“Almost ready,” Emmett replied with a toothy grin.

“Have you got enough?” Seth asked.

“Plenty,” Emmett assured him.

“Then we’d love to stay,” Jennifer said with a smile. “Can I help with anything?”

“Have a seat in the sun porch,” Brian directed. “I’m making cocktails,” he said in his best imitation of Emmett.

Everyone laughed.

“You’re in a good mood,” Justin said. “Did the Connolly’s get away all right?”

Emmett was frantically shaking his head and giving signs to Justin not to mention the reporter, but it was too late.

“Fuck!” Brian reacted. “I had almost put them out of my mind.”

“Why? Did something happen after we left?” Justin asked.

“Connolly said he had too much material and he didn’t know what he would write,” Brian explained.

“But … that doesn’t mean it will be bad.” Justin hoped it wouldn’t be bad anyway.

Brian shook his head. “I’m getting those drinks. I need one.”

Everyone watched him leave the room.

“What happened?” Justin asked Emmett.

“Who are the Connolly’s?” Seth asked.

“I thought they liked us,” Gus tossed in.

“Go out in the fucking sun porch where I can’t hear you,” Brian yelled from the liquor cabinet in the living room.

They all funneled out to the sun porch with Justin and Emmett explaining what had happened over the last twenty-four hours. John and Bobby came in with Patrick and they contributed their views. Brian finally came in with a big tray of drinks for everyone.

When everyone was situated and had a drink, the questions were all answered, although not to Brian’s satisfaction. He still felt the article that Connolly would write would not be flattering.

“We had no fucking power or phones and they had to sleep in our old sweats. No wonder they didn’t like it here,” Brian griped.

“It couldn’t be that bad if they slept in that bed,” Jennifer said. “It’s the most comfortable thing in the world. Everybody who’s slept there says so.”

“They seemed impressed that the bed was there,” Justin said thoughtfully. “And the view of the storm is always … invigorating.”

“Or terrifying, if you’re not used to it,” Brian snarked.

“Well, enough about the Connolly’s,” Emmett declared. “Did you have any damage from the storm?” he asked Jennifer and Seth. They shook their heads.

“It must have been much worse out here,” Seth replied. “We were fine.”

“There were trees down in several places on the way to the Farm,” Gus said.

“Yeah, and a branch went through mother’s window,” John added.

“I’d say we came off lucky overall,” Bobby noted.

“More drinks?” Brian asked. He needed another one, since he knew they were going to get skewered by the Connolly’s. And on top of that, pictures of their private lives were going to be splashed all over the papers. Brian couldn’t help but wonder how he could have been so stupid.



*****



“There, I think we’re done,” Hector said with a big sigh. He looked at all the bags of leaves they had finished raking up and getting ready for collection.

“That tree sure has a lot of leaves,” Curtis observed as he looked up at the now almost bare maple.

“Yeah, it does,” Raph agreed. “But the shade in the summer is great.”

“That storm really brought the leaves down last night.”

“And blew half of them into the neighbors’ yards,” Hector laughed. “We usually have twice this many bags.”

“What do you say we order pizza and wings as our treat for all this hard work?” Raph asked.

“Sounds good.” Both Hector and Curtis agreed.

They went inside and ordered the pizza. They got cleaned up and sat down to enjoy a drink while they waited for the pizza to be delivered.

“How are your mid-terms going?” Raph asked his son.

“Only one more.”

“Which one?”

“Math.”

“Ah, the one you were worried about,” Raph said with sympathy in his voice.

“Yeah, I missed so much school, and there’s just some things I’m not sure about.”

“You know I’m here to help if I can,” Raph offered.

“I’d offer to help too, but I’m sure you don’t want to fail,” Hector laughed. “Me and math do not agree.”

“Do the best you can, Curtis. That’s all we ask,” Raph assured his son.

“I will, but I really want this credit,” Curtis told them. “I don’t want to have to repeat the course.”

“You’ll be fine,” Hector said. “Just do your best, like Raph said.”

At that moment the pizza arrived. They enjoyed the cheesy delicacy and the hot wings that they had ordered with it. Curtis especially relished the pizza which they had never had when he was with the Hardigans.

“Do you think I could have this at my adoption party?” Curtis asked.

“Speaking of which, we need to set the date and decide who you want to invite,” Raph said.

They sat around the kitchen table making lists and checking the calendar. Curtis could almost believe that his first ever party was going to happen.



*****



“So, Jenn, why are you really here today?” Brian asked as they were having coffee and some more of Emmett’s treats.

“Um … what do you mean?”

“I’ve seen you open your mouth at least five times to say something and then cut it off before you said a word,” Brian told her.

“You’re very observant,” Jennifer admitted. “I do have something I’d like to ask you.”

“When did you get to be so bashful about saying what you need to say?” Justin asked his mother.

“When it’s something I really want and I’m not sure I’m going to get.”

“And what might that be?” Brian asked.

“Um … I…”

“Oh, Jennifer, for heaven’s sake,” Seth said in exasperation. “She wants to have our wedding here in your sun porch and she’s afraid you’ll say no.”

“Seth!” Jennifer reacted.

“Well, I can’t stand this pussyfooting around. I believe in getting issues out in the open.”

“Why would you think we’d say no?” Justin asked.

Jennifer looked at Brian. “It will be mostly the family, but also some people that Seth and I know, that you two don’t. I know you value your privacy and I thought you might not want outsiders here.”

Brian snorted. “Did you not hear what we were saying earlier? Our so-called private lives are going to be spread across the newspapers. What could be worse than that?”

“I don’t want my wedding to be the lesser of two horrible evils, Brian,” Jennifer said. She felt slightly offended by his statement.

“I didn’t mean it that way,” Brian apologized. “You’re welcome to the sun porch, and the house, and the gardens, and whatever fucking else you want. Just ignore me. I’m in a bad mood.” Brian stood and walked out of the sun porch. They could see him disappear down the path to the stream.

“Oh dear,” Jennifer said, “should I go after him?”

“I’ll go, Mom,” Justin told her. “I’ll take a jacket for him. And you’re welcome to have your wedding here. I’d like nothing better.”

They all watched Justin make his way to the path.

“I be flowergirl, Gamma,” Bree offered.

“Yes, sweetheart. I’d really like that,” Jennifer said with a worried frown. She knew she shouldn’t have brought up the idea today.

Justin found Brian on the big rock. He threw the jacket he carried around Brian’s shoulders.

“You okay?” Justin asked.

Brian nodded. “I shouldn’t have said that to your mother.”

“You’re in a bad mood over the reporter and what he’s going to write.”

“You got that right, but I didn’t need to take it out on Jennifer.”

“You want her to have the wedding here, don’t you?” Justin asked.

“Of course,” Brian admitted. “It’s flattering that she wants to. Oh shit! I hope it’s not another fucking winter wedding. We could be snowed in here with half the population of Pittsburgh.”

Justin laughed and laughed, until Brian couldn’t help but join him. When they finally wiped their tears away and hugged, Justin whispered, “Let’s go tell her we want the wedding here … and act like you mean it.”

“I will. I’ll be ecstatic!” Brian chuckled.

“And that’s why I love you.”

They walked back along the path in the dying autumn light, their arms around each other’s waists.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Chapter 13




“So what do you think?” Lacy asked Justin and the Donahue boys. They were having a late afternoon meeting at Michael’s store. Lacy and Michael had the layout of a special edition Rage issue.

“It was Lacy’s idea really,” Michael admitted.

“But you had the plot all figured out,” Lacy spoke up for Michael. Justin and the twins were floored with the whole concept.

“This is amazing!” Justin exclaimed.

“You really like it?” Lacy asked.

“I think this is a phenomenal idea. How soon can we go to print?” Justin asked.

“Whenever we’re ready,” Michael stated. “We can run this issue as a pre-holiday special and then tie it in with the cartoon.”

“Brian said he has Cynthia and Ted working on ads.”

“Already?” Michael asked in awe.

“Yeah, he said he wanted to be ready. Guys, can you have the cartoon ready by November? If we want to sell the DVD in time for the holiday market, it’ll have to be ready soon for production.”

“Piece of cake!” the twins said with matching smiles.

“So we’re all in agreement?” Michael asked. Everyone nodded.

“Michael, I think we should make this an official agreement. We have the copyright on Rage, but the twins should get a cut of the profits if this venture makes any,” Justin wisely said.

“Okay, I’ll have Mel draw something up.”

“And I’ll speak with Bobby. The kids still intend to use this collaborative project for this semester’s final grade, but what we do with it later is our business.”

“But what about the holiday sales?” Michael was seeing the dollar signs fade away.

“We can always have a special voucher printed up in the comic. Or a coupon on the website for a special discount if the fans want to buy the Rage DVD. Or you can have pre-sales. There are lots of ways we can cash in on this if we think about it. That is, if we want to.”

“What do you mean?” Michael asked indignantly.

“Michael, this issue is about diversity in all its forms. We can portray diverse families celebrating the holidays in unique ways. We have a wonderful opportunity here. I’d hate to put a price tag on it.”

Michael harumphed then crossed his arms over his chest.

“We can make money on the adult cartoons later,” Justin said with a grin. “Think of it as a Christmas present for the Rage fans.”

As Justin and the Donahue boys packed up their gear to leave the comic book store they were blissfully unaware of the camera with the telephoto lens snapping picture after picture. The boys, very happy with the progress on Rage and the planned holiday issue, were very animated as they talked and walked down Liberty.

“Hmm, I wonder what that’s all about?” the photographer mumbled to himself, as his lens followed the boys until they were out of range.



*****



“So, how was the math test?” Raph asked as Curtis came in the veterinary clinic after school.

“I … I don’t know. I answered all the questions, but … they could all be wrong,” Curtis sighed.

Raph smiled. “If you answered them all then you will probably do okay.”

“You think?” Curtis asked hopefully. “I sort of knew what I was doing.”

“Did you check your answers?”

“As much as I could. I ran out of time at the end.”

“Well, it’s done, so let’s forget about it,” Raph said wisely. “We’ll deal with whatever the outcome may be.”

“Okay,” Curtis agreed. He knew he had done his best.

“Did you talk to Gus about the party?”

“Yeah, he’s up for next Friday night,” Curtis said with a big smile. “And I asked Billy after the test. He can come too.”

“Ah, a new friend.”

“Yeah,” Curtis said with a grin.

“Then do you still want to invite Bree and Patrick and JR?”

Curtis looked thoughtful for a moment. “I do,” he replied. “They were the first people who made me welcome and I want them at my party.”

“Did you warn Billy there’d be youngsters?”

“No.”

“Maybe you should. Not all kids are like Gus and don’t mind hanging out with younger kids.”

“Oh? Okay,” Curtis said. “Can I call Bree’s dads now?”

“Do your chores with the animals, and we’ll make the calls tonight,” Raph told his son.

“Okay, Dad,” Curtis grinned, as he headed to the back to check the animals.

Raph watched him go. He hoped Curtis had made a new friend in this Billy. He would be interested to meet him.



*****



“I got it,” Owen called as he entered his apartment.

“Good, let’s get this over with,” Molly replied.

“You sound so negative.”

“I … I’m not negative. It’s just unexpected. I have to find out for sure, and then I can get my head around it.”

“Okay, here you go,” Owen said. He handed Molly the package he had just bought at the drugstore.

Molly left the room and Owen slipped off his coat. He sat down on the couch and started twiddling his thumbs. It was a nervous habit that he had picked up from his father. He debated turning on the TV, but decided to wait for Molly to return.

After a couple of minutes, he stood and started pacing around the room. He looked out the window for a couple of minutes, and then resumed pacing. What could be taking so long?

“Owen,” Molly said as she came back into the room.

“What is it? What was the result of the pregnancy test?”

“I don’t know yet.”

“Why not?” Owen demanded. “You were in there forever.”

“I can’t pee on demand,” Molly told him in her annoyed voice.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. Come sit beside me.” He took her hand and led her to the sofa. “How long do we have to wait?”

“It should turn color any moment now,” Molly said with a frown. “What are we going to do if it’s blue?”

“We’re going to have a baby if it’s blue,” Owen laughed.

“I know that, silly,” Molly said as she gave him a swat. “I meant … I meant that I’m not sure that I’m ready to do this.”

“You’ll be a great mother,” Owen declared.

“How can you possibly know that? I don’t even know what kind of a mother I’ll be.”

“You’re a wonderful girl, Molly.”

“Woman,” Molly corrected.

“Woman,” Owen said with a chuckle. “You have a great mother of your own. I know you’ll be wonderful with our child.” He touched Molly’s tummy gently.

Molly smiled and looked at the plastic case that would give them the news one way or another. “It’s blue,” she said with a big smile.

Owen grinned from ear to ear, let out a loud whoop and nearly crushed his wife in a hug to rival Debbie’s best.

“Are you happy or what?” Molly laughed when he let her breathe again.

“I’m over the moon. We’ll have to tell everyone right away. They’ll be thrilled for us.”

“Um…” Molly said.

“What? Um?”

“I think we should keep this to ourselves for a while,” Molly replied.

“Ourselves? Why?”

“There are a lot of miscarriages in the first three months of pregnancy. Let’s wait till I get past that milestone.”

“Oh? Okay, if you want. How far along do you think you are?”

“I missed my period a month ago and didn’t think too much about it. I’ve been working so hard. And then I missed it again this week. So, at least a month, maybe closer to two.”

“So we have about another month to wait before we spill the news?”

“At least.”

“Okay, I can do that. But you need to see a doctor right away. They can tell you more accurately, can’t they?” Molly nodded. “And you need to cut down on the stress from your job.”

“I can try.”

“You can do more than try,” Owen told her.

Molly smiled. “I will.”

”You’re okay with this, aren’t you? I mean, about being pregnant?”

“It’s growing on me,” Molly said with a grin. “Just like my belly will be doing.”

“I can hardly wait,” Owen replied as he grabbed his wife and pulled her into a passionate kiss.



*****



“So are you ready for this?” Raphael asked Curtis as they were preparing for their guests to arrive.

Curtis wanted to keep the party relatively small so they opted for just a few friends. The whole family was just too overwhelming even for Raph and Hector. The guest list was limited to Brian, Justin with Bree; John, Bobby and Patrick; Mel, Lindsay, JR and Gus; Curtis’ friend from school, Billy; Hunter, Dr. Nick and Karen. Judge Judith Schultz also received an invitation which she readily accepted. Debbie and Carl and the two police officers that helped to bring down the Hardigans were also included.

“Yeah, I’m ready,” Curtis answered as he pilfered a tasty treat off one of the many trays sitting on the kitchen counter. While neither Emmett nor any of his minions were ‘waitressing’ for Curtis’ party, the Angles-Sanchez family thought it best to hire the event planner to cater the party. Emmett could not refuse.

“Nervous?” Hector asked as he looked up into Curtis’ eyes. Curtis had blossomed under the care and feeding of Raph and Hector. No longer the scrawny street urchin that had first burst into their lives, Curtis had grown several inches as teenage boys were wont to do and gained the healthy pounds to go with it. Curtis Samuels was going to be a handsome young man.

“A little,” came the curt answer.

“You have nothing to worry about,” Hector went on. “You survived much more than this at Bree’s birthday party. They’re all coming to wish you well.”

“I know, I just never had a real party before. I think I remember a birthday party when I was really little but I don’t remember much about it. I kinda like us being quiet, if you know what I mean,” Curtis tried to explain.

“It’s okay, son, I understand,” Raph said as he gave Curtis a hug. The door bell rang and the newly formed family went to greet their guests.



*****



“Richard, what are you doing here on a Friday night? Don’t you have somewhere better to be than in the press room?” Mr. Sacks, the city editor asked Richard Connolly.

“I could ask you the same. I thought you and Maggie were going Christmas shopping tonight.”

“We still are; she’ll be here any minute. What’s your excuse?”

“This article on Kinney and Taylor, I just don’t know what to write. It’s been several weeks since Morgan and I went to the cottage and I still have no idea how to put it all together. I report on art and entertainment. I never liked those gossipy sort of articles.”

“It’s those gossipy articles that sell papers, unfortunately. Not that I approve but I wouldn’t mind another scoop for Christmas.”

“Morgan took hundreds of pictures. She’ll kill me if I don’t use any of them.”

“We can’t have that,” Sacks laughed, “can we?”

“No sir, we can’t,” Richard chuckled.

“Richard, you’re a good reporter and an honorable man. Write what you know and it’ll all work out,” Sacks said as he grabbed his coat and headed out.

“Yes, sir, thank you,” Richard replied as he sifted through all the pictures that Morgan had taken on that day they spent out in the middle of nowhere. He picked up one picture, the two men were hugging, wearing smug expressions as if daring the world around them. And they were, daring and dashing, challenging the world around them, breaking all molds, each in their respective arenas and together as a family. Family.

Richard smiled as he opened a new file on his desk top.

“The Sunshine File,” he chuckled as he began to write.



*****



“Come in,” Raph said. “So glad you could join us.” Raph and Curtis were greeting their guests at the door.

“Hi, Bree,” Curtis said. “I have something for you.”

“You do?” Bree asked with a big smile.

“Come with me.” Curtis led the little girl into the family room where many of the other guests were enjoying Emmett’s munchies and having drinks.

“What is that all about?” Brian asked.

“Curtis looks at Bree as his first friend in this family. She invited him to her birthday party and that made quite the impression on him,” Hector explained.

“Bree makes quite the impression on everybody,” Justin laughed as they made their way to the family room.

“This is for you,” Curtis was saying as they entered the family room. He held out a card for Bree. “I made it…for you.”

Bree’s eyes got very big. She took the card and read the front aloud. “Thanks for be-ing my friend.”

“Open it,” Curtis prompted.

Bree opened the card and read, “If you need anything, call me.”

“Do you like it?” Curtis asked shyly.

“I love it, Curtis. I call you if I need help.”

“Or if you’re lonely or unhappy. I’d like to help.”

Bree held up her arms and Curtis leaned down so Bree could hug him. After a minute she let go and everyone in the room was smiling as they watched.

“I brought you something too,” Bree whispered to him. “Dada?”

“Here, Squirt,” Brian responded as he handed her a little gift bag.

“Open it,” Bree instructed Curtis.

Curtis pulled out one of Bree’s rainbow cards and read the simple message of welcome to our family printed in Bree’s large letters. He looked in the bag and laughed out loud. “Hey, Gus, we can take our cars out for a spin together,” Curtis chuckled as he pulled out a Hot Wheels Jaguar, similar to what Bree had given Gus for his birthday. “I love it, Bree.”

Up came the arms for another hug.

Raph made sure that moment was captured on his digital camera. The party went on from there with lots of eating and talking. Curtis moved around the room talking to each of his guests. Raph and Hector smiled approvingly as they watched the party develop.

“Attention, guests,” Raph said after a while. “We have pizza coming in about an hour.”

“Yay!” all the kids yelled.

Brian looked at Justin who merely shrugged and whispered, “A little fat and cholesterol won’t kill you.”

“You just want the insurance money when I pop off,” Brian griped good-humoredly.

“Got that right,” Justin laughed. “I deserve it after all these years.”

“Yeah, you do,” Brian agreed.

“In the meantime,” Raph shouted, trying to get everyone’s attention again. “We thought you might like to play some games. Curtis, my son.”

Curtis entered the room carrying a big pile of board games, cards, and other games of all types and…

“Twister!” Bree shrieked as she spied the colorful plastic that participants had to place their feet and hands on. “Patrick, Dada, you have to play with me.”

“Will the indignities never cease?” Brian asked with a frown.

“Go play with your daughter like a good little boy,” Justin said nudging Brian forward.

“Hey, Justin, Bobby, want to play euchre?” Gus asked.

“I’m in on that,” Billy said, “if that’s okay.”

“Quite okay with me,” Gus said good naturedly.

While Brian, Bree, Patrick and Curtis were playing Twister, the others found Monopoly and Scrabble and Othello. Everyone laughed and teased each other until the pizza arrived.

After chowing down once more, Brian and Justin decided they better take a tired Bree home.

“I’m glad you could come to my party,” Curtis said as they went out the door.

“I’m happy to be your friend, Curtis,” Bree said eliciting a big smile from the boy of the moment.

“You throw a decent party, kid,” Brian said.

“That’s high praise from him,” Justin said with a laugh. “Thanks for inviting us, Curtis.”

“If you decide you want to go riding with us on Sunday, let me know,” John told the boy as he got Patrick ready to go home too.

“I don’t know how to thank you all for everything you’ve done for me,” Curtis said, tears welling up. “I can’t believe how great my life is now.”

“Be the son that Raph and Hector want, and you’ll have earned every bit of happiness,” Justin whispered to the boy as he gave him a hug.

“Thank you, and thanks, Mr. Kinney,” Curtis whispered as he reached up to hug Brian. There was a split second when he thought he’d made a mistake and the man wouldn’t hug him back.

Then Brian’s arms closed around the boy. “You done good, kid. I’m glad it worked out so well…for everyone.”

“Me too,” Curtis said before releasing Brian from the hug. “And thanks again.”

“You’re welcome and don’t bring it up again.”

“I won’t,” Curtis said with a smile. “’Night, Bree.”

“’Night, Curtis,” Bree said sleepily from Justin’s arms. They made their way down the street to their car.

“He’s a good kid,” Brian said as he got Bree strapped in.

“I can’t believe I ever thought otherwise. You’re a good judge of people, Kinney,” Justin told his husband.

“Too bad I didn’t realize what Connolly was like. I would never have asked him to write that fucking article.”

“Stop fretting about that,” Justin ordered as Brian pulled away and headed for the cottage. “You don’t know what he’s going to write.”

“I don’t fret.”

“Connolly will write what he writes … and we’ll deal with it.”

“I just can’t believe it’s taken this fucking long to write an article. He must really be going to crucify us,” Brian said shaking his head.

Justin merely sighed and leaned his head back against the headrest. There was nothing they could do about it one way or another.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Testing, Testing ... 1,2,3

Epilogue




“Hey,” Justin called out as he strolled into Brian’s office at Kinnetik, tossing his scarf and coat onto one of the chairs.

“Hey yourself,” Brian replied with a smile. He was looking over the Rage cartoon ads that were ready to launch.

“Are you ready to get out of here,” Justin asked.

“Yeah, I think so. You?”

“Yep. But can we hit the Village shops before we head back? I want to get in some Christmas shopping and if I have to spend my money, I’d rather do it there instead of the mall.”

“I’m all for that, Sunshine. With all the boutiques they have there, we probably can get everything on our list,” Brian agreed.

“Have you heard from Gus yet? He was supposed to take his road test today, wasn’t he?”

“Yup. Passed with flying colors! I am the proud father of a teenaged driver,” Brian groaned.

Justin couldn’t help but laugh. “Aww, poor baby. Is Gus happy?”

“Ecstatic. He’s been running around town telling everyone and flashing his temporary license. So uncool. I thought I taught him better than that.”

“Oh well, we can’t all be cool and aloof like Brian Kinney,” Justin snarked.

“True. So, how are your little twins and your shadow? Did they all get an ‘A’?”

“Yes, I am very proud to say. Lacy and the twins got an A+ on their final project. And Michael and I compromised on the Diversity issue. We’re selling the comic with the DVD as a bonus. And we’re talking about animating some of the previous comics as well.”

“Very mature of the two of you to work it all out and without any bloodshed!”

“Well, um, Lacyyelledatus,” Justin mumbled.

“What? I didn’t get that,” Brian teased.

“I said, Lacy yelled at us.” Brian started to laugh as Justin blushed red down to his toes. “Michael was being an ass and wouldn’t listen and I guess I lost my temper and...”

“Come here, Sunshine.” Brian pushed away from his desk so that Justin could sit on his lap. “Doesn’t matter how you came to an agreement. The point is, everyone is satisfied with the results. Rage and Zephyr save the day, making it safe for homos and perverts everywhere,” Brian said with a smug grin as he nibbled on Justin’s lower lip.

“Mmm,” Justin murmured then gently pushed Brian’s face away. “As much as I want to continue this, we should get going. We did promise Bree that we’d all have dinner together tonight.”

Brian sighed but he knew Justin was right.

“Okay,” Brian said with a kiss to Justin’s nose. “Just remember where I left off. We’ll finish this later.”

“It’s a date,” Justin teased as he jumped off of his lover’s lap. “Let me say goodbye to Cynthia and Ted. Is everyone invited to the cottage for Christmas?” Justin asked as he put on his coat and wrapped his warm scarf around his neck.

“Yup, looks like we’re going to have a full house again this year. Let’s just pray for a mild Winter.” Brian looked up at the ceiling in hopes of divine intervention. Justin giggled.

As they said goodbye to Kinnetik for the day and climbed into Justin’s SUV, Brian broke more news to Justin.

“Oh, by the way, I received a very interesting call today from Dr. Raph.”

“What did he have to say?” Justin asked as he pulled out into traffic.

“He said that the newest member of our family passed all of his exams too. Aced every damn one of them. Then he said something about wanting to take Hector and Curtis on a real vacation, but he wasn’t sure ‘cause it was too late to make reservations for anywhere,” Brian said calmly.

“Brian, what did you do?” Justin asked knowingly.

“Nothing much,” Brian responded oh so innocently.

“Uh huh. Spill, oh great master of making miracles.”

“I made a few calls to Liberty Airlines and to Seamus at the B&B.”

“So I take it the Angles-Sanchez-Samuels family will not be joining us for Christmas this year?”

“Nope.”

“You’re a good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Shh, don’t tell anyone,” Brian whispered.

“I promise,” Justin said with a smile as he pulled into the parking garage in the Village. “I don’t have much to buy. You can come with me or hang out at the Village diner.”

“I haven’t seen Joanie or Danny in a few weeks and Joan knows how to make a decent cup of coffee. I’ll wait for you at the Book Store.”

Justin nodded as he gave Brian a kiss then the lovers parted ways.

“Hi, Mom!” Brian announced as he walked into the Book Store, brushing off the light powdery snow that was beginning to fall.

“Hello, Brian,” Joan answered as she bussed her son’s cheek. “That book you ordered for Justin came today. Do you want to take it with you?”

“No. Send it over to Kinnetik. I’ll get it tomorrow. Are you coming for Christmas?” Brian asked as he poured himself a cup of coffee then made himself comfortable in an oversized chair near the fireplace.

“Not this year. Claire has decided to do Christmas this time. Her boys are bringing their families.” Claire’s side of the family had grown in recent years. Joan had been happily doing a balancing act between her children’s families. I was with you for Thanksgiving, it’s only fair I go to Claire for Christmas.”

“One day that sister of mine should make an appearance at the cottage.”

“She will. Where’s Justin?”

“Shopping out there.” Brian gestured toward the door. “I decided to wait it out here; read the paper.” Joan handed Brian the latest issue of the Dispatch and the Times. The bell over the door jingled so Joan went to tend to her customers as Brian settled back to read.

“It’s with a heavy heart that I resign as art reporter for the Pittsburgh Dispatch. I thank all my loyal readers. And I offer an apology to Justin Taylor and his life partner, Brian Kinney. I allowed my ambitions to get in the way of the truth. I can only hope I haven’t sullied their otherwise sterling reputations.

I wish them and all my readers a happy and safe holiday season.”

“Holy fuck!” Brian mumbled but not softly enough. He caught a disapproving glare from his mother. Brian shrugged an apology then he quickly checked the date on the newspaper. It was that morning’s edition. “I wonder why he did it?” Brian asked himself as he picked up the Times.

The Times edition was the Sunday version, only a couple of days old and very thick with all its special sections. Brian had given up on Connolly’s article. It was nearly two months since the Connollys had spent time at Edna’s Treasures. Brian thought Connolly had reneged on their agreement.

“Shit!” Brian gasped as a special edition of “Art World” the Times art section slipped out of the newspaper and onto Brian’s lap.

“Well fuck me,” Brian said as he began to leaf through the magazine. Justin’s picture was prominently displayed on the front cover. In fact the whole issue was devoted to Justin, his art and his family. On the inside cover, just under the byline, Brian found the following introduction:

“Some time ago this reporter was honored with a special invitation from Justin Taylor and Brian Kinney to write an article about them. The goal was to set the record straight, and finally put to rest the unfounded rumors of “trouble in paradise.” During my research I found so much more, too much for just one article. So with my editor’s blessing I dedicate this holiday issue of Art World to Justin Taylor, Brian Kinney and their unique family.

This series of articles showcasing this amazing artist and his equally special partner is lovingly entitled, “The Sunshine Files.”

I hope you will enjoy reading them half as much as I have enjoyed writing them!”

Just then Brian’s cell phone rang.

“Kinney.”

“Hey, Bri, I’m going to be a little while longer. Is that okay with you?”

“No problem, Sunshine,” Brian said with a warm smile, hearing his lover’s voice. “I’ll find something to occupy my time.”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m sure but not too late. We have a princess waiting for us.”

“No problem. Later.”

“Later,” Brian said into his phone. He poured himself a fresh cup of coffee then settled back to read.

-TBC-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1034