Post Fractalization by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

 

Following Justin's fractal project, life returns to normal...sort of.

 

Story #35 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 26633 Read: 53597 Published: Jun 30, 2017 Updated: Jun 30, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

 

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 1





“But...”

“I know, sweetheart, but it’s for the best.”

“But we always spend Christmas together.”

“Not always but I can’t remember a time when we haven’t. The doctor said I really shouldn’t be in a car for more than fifteen minutes. I don’t see how...”

“Then we’ll come to you. We’ll load everything up and...”

“Kiddo, that’s not very practical, now is it? And I doubt if the Morrison family is going to want to travel into Pittsburgh on Christmas day.”

“But...”

“Listen to me. Are you listening?”

“Yes, Maw.”

“Think of it as just a slight change of plans. And you’ll have a quieter, calmer Christmas. You hate when we invade the cottage.”

“No, I don’t, not really. We have all this food and the biggest fucking turkey I’ve ever seen!”

“Brian, honey, cooked turkey freezes well. Besides, Emmett will be there. He’ll organize everything.”

“But...”

“Sweetheart, the doctor said I should be right as rain in about a week. Why don’t you all come for Little Christmas? We can exchange presents at that time.”

“But...”

“Brian, you’re beginning to sound like a motorboat. Now the girls have decided to stay here; they’ve organized everything. Michael and Ben will do Christmas here too. And Hunter and his handsome doctor are staying in Pittsburgh. Danny even volunteered to cook. And frankly his lasagna is almost as good as mine. The girls can’t cook for shit. Emmett and Drew are already up there as well as Ted and Allen. I already spoke with Claire; she’ll help Emmett and I know I can count on Jenn. So you’re all set.”

“But Maw!”

“What honey?”

“I’ll miss you,” Brian said softly, disappointment and frustration evident in his voice.

“Oh sweetheart, that has got to be the sweetest thing you’ve ever said to me. I have to hang up now; the pain pills are starting to kick in. I haven’t been this stoned since that day I shared that joint with you.”

“Deb, are you really going to be all right?”

“Yes, kiddo, I wouldn’t lie to you.”

“I can arrange for a private nurse to take care of you.”

“No need, honey. Lacy and Kat have been here since I fell. And my Carl has been very attentive to all my needs.”

“TMI, Deb.”

“Brian, just spend Christmas with your family. Between Jennifer and Seth, Molly and Owen, the Bridgeton family, and the boys, the cottage will be full enough without us. Sweetheart, I have to hang up now, I’m very sleepy.”

“Okay, Deb, you take care of yourself and we’ll see you on the 6th. I love you, Maw.”

“Love you too, kiddo.”

“I’m calling you every day until we do Christmas.”

“I wouldn’t expect anything else. Bye, honey.”

“Bye, Deb.” Brian stared angrily at his phone as if it was solely responsible for ruining his Christmas instead of a greasy French fry.

It was two days before Christmas 2017. The plan was to have the whole family come to Edna’s Treasures to spend the holiday together. Jennifer and Seth had come up mid-week. They were spending time with Emmett discussing their wedding plans set for April. They had brought Gus with them. He was off from school and wanted to spend time at the cottage. Molly and Owen were planning on coming, as well as most of the Liberty Avenue family.

The newly formed Angles-Sanchez-Samuels family was spending the Christmas break in St. Augustine, thanks to Brian’s wizardry. Sarah Kingsley had commandeered Sharon and Owen Sr. to her condo for the holiday. Joan was spending the holiday with Brian’s sister’s family. That left the Bridgeton contingent and they were more than happy to spend the holiday at the cottage.

But even with knowing how much of the family was planning to spend the day, Brian suddenly felt very lonely. Debbie wouldn’t be there.

“Hey Pop,” Gus called up to the attic office. “I got a weird phone call from the moms. They’re gonna spend Christmas in the Pitts. Said something about Grandmaw Debbie flat on her back. What’s up with that?”

Hearing Gus bellow up in the air, the family all converged in the sun porch. From the balcony, like a king addressing his subjects, Brian explained.

“Debbie had an accident yesterday,” Brian started. A collective gasp came up from the family below. “She twisted her back. She’ll be fine but her doctor gave her strict instructions to rest. She also got the good drugs. She was flying high by the time we hung up.”

“So are we going there for Christmas?” Justin asked the 64,000 dollar question.

“No, she can’t handle it. So we have a slight change in plans.”

Brian then recounted his conversation with Debbie, about who was staying where.

“Sonny Boy, do you want me to take you back to the Pitts to do Christmas with the moms?”

“No, that’s what they called about. I’ll stay here, if it’s okay with you,” Gus said with a small smile.

“Okay, Gus, I appreciate that. Deb said she should be up and bitching in about a week. She wants to do Little Christmas, so we’re invited to her house on the 6th,” Brian told them.

“What about food? How is Debbie going to feed everyone?” Emmett inquired.

“Well, according to her, Danny makes a mean lasagna, so she won’t be forced to eat the Muncher’s food.”

“It’s not that bad, Pop.”

“I’ve had your mother’s two hundred cloves of garlic chicken, Sonny Boy.” Brian made a face as Emmett made a gagging noise. Bree laughed as did most of the family. "Besides, you know Debbie starts cooking early then freezes everything. Between that and the rest of the family, they have the dinner menu covered. She ordered that we carry on as usual,” Brian said as he walked down the spiral staircase and into the porch.

“I’m going to miss her,” Justin whispered as he met Brian at the bottom of the stairs. The lovers hugged. They were already feeling sad that their surrogate mother wouldn’t be joining them for the holiday.

“Well, then I say we party like we’ve never partied before,” Emmett spoke up as cheerfully as he could.

“What?” Brian growled.

“Did not Debbie say for us to carry on as if she were here? It’s not like she died. She’s too tough to let a little accident stop her. By the way, what caused the fall?” Emmett asked.

“A French fry. She was carrying a bunch of pink plate specials and didn’t notice a fry on the floor,” Brian told them. The present company cringed.

“Ouch,” Bobby said.

“Yeah, big ouch. They took her to the emergency room, did the usual tests and x-rays. She’s just badly bruised. They gave her some anti-inflammatory and lots of pain pills then sent her home with instructions to rest.”

“That’s probably hurting her more,” Jennifer commented.

“Probably,” Brian agreed.

“So I say we party in Debbie’s honor,” Emmett reiterated, and the family readily agreed.



*****



“Dada, is it time to get our tree yet?”

Brian groaned. Bree had been asking him that question every couple of hours for the last three days. The family had agreed that they were going to get the tree on Christmas Eve, but now Brian was wondering if it wouldn’t just be easier to go get one right now.

“Justin!” Brian called. “The princess wants to go get our Christmas tree. Are you up for that?’

“Why don’t you and Bree and Patrick go get the tree and I’ll haul all the decorations out while you’re gone? It’s time we got some Christmas spirit going around here.”

“I agree,” Jennifer said. “Seth and I will help you.”

“Sure,” Brian griped. “Send me out with the infants and you guys stay here and have eggnog and keep warm by the fire.”

“You hate eggnog,” Justin retorted.

“That’s beside the point.”

“I’m not an infant,” Bree declared.

“Me either,” Patrick threw in.

“I’ll go with you, Pop,” Gus volunteered.

Brian heaved a sigh. “Oh for fuck sake! Let’s go.”

“Yay!” Bree squealed. “Can we take Ashley?”

“Ashley?” Brian asked, aghast at the thought of another child being under his care.

“You know the short dirty blond kid that goes riding with us,” Gus laughed.

“I know who the fuck she is,” Brian bellowed.

“Pweeze, Dada?” Bree begged batting her eyes at her father.

“Ashley will be your responsibility,” Brian said glaring at Gus.

“Great. Ashley and I get along fine,” Gus giggled knowing that his Pop was beat.

“Call the child and let’s get this fucking show on the road.”

“Have fun,” Justin chuckled as he kissed Brian’s lips.

Soon they were all in the SUV on their way to pick up Ashley. Gus was driving until they got to Ashley’s house, and then Brian would take over.

“You drive good now, Gus,” Bree told him as they pulled up at Ashley’s.

“Much better,” Patrick added.

The door to the house opened and Ashley came running out to the car. Her mother who looked slightly harried waved at Brian and Gus as they changed positions and got back in the vehicle.

“Hi, Ashley,” Bree said happily as her friend got buckled in.

“I’m glad you’re coming with us,” Patrick told her.

Ashley smiled blissfully as they took off.



*****



Seamus Griffin, owner of the Piece of Plenty B & B in St. Augustine Florida was just starting to decorate his Christmas tree when the front door of his house opened and the Angles-Sanchez family came in.

“Hello, family,” Seamus called from his living room. “How was the tour of St. Augustine?”

“Just great,” Raph replied. “Oh my, you have a real Christmas tree?” Raph said in surprise.

“I certainly do,” Seamus replied.

“I kind of thought everybody in Florida would have an artificial tree,” Raph explained.

“A lot of people do, but I’m old fashioned and I love the smell of pine.”

“Smells really good,” Curtis said sniffing the fragrant air around the tree. “I never smelled a real Christmas tree before.”

Hector noted the wistful note in Curtis’ voice. “Did you have a Christmas tree at the … place you used to live?” He refused to say the Hardigan’s name if he didn’t have to.

“They had an ugly white artificial tree,” Curtis said with distaste. “I hated it, but they thought it was okay. I thought it made Christmas … ugly.”

Hector and Raph looked at each other. What a life Curtis must have had.

“Maybe we should have stayed home for our first Christmas together as a family. I never thought...” Raph said his voice trailing off with uncertainty.

“It’s okay,” Curtis said quickly. “I like it here.”

Seamus watched the newly formed family. They had told him the story of how they came to be together when they first arrived at the B & B. “I’ll tell you what,” Seamus began. “I could use some help decorating this tree, and I’d like nothing better than having you spend Christmas Day with me … if you’d like to.” The smiles on the faces looking at him told Seamus that they would very much like that. “I have a neighbor coming over on Christmas. We always spend the day together so that we’re not alone. Neither of us have any family. I think we should make this a real family Christmas, and that includes your family. How does that sound?’

“It sounds positively wonderful, if you’re sure we wouldn’t be intruding,” Raph said.

“I’m very sure you won’t be intruding. It will make it seem like a real Christmas. Usually it’s kind of lonely. I don’t often have people stay in the B & B over Christmas. They’re with their families.”

Hector nodded. “That’s very generous of you. It would be lovely to have a real Christmas with you and your friend.”

“Then consider it done,” Seamus said with a big smile. “Grab a box of ornaments and let’s make this tree into a masterpiece.”

Curtis picked up a box of the fragile looking ornaments. He lifted one out and very carefully hung it on a branch. He stood back to admire the placement. Then he went to the tree and gently turned the ornament so that its best features were shown. A wide smile lit up his face before he reached for the next ornament.

Hector, Raph and Seamus watched the young lad with smiles on their own faces. They were each thinking that this might turn out to be the best Christmas ever. That’s what Christmas was – family and friends, and they seemed to have found both.



*****



“That’s the one,” Patrick said decisively.

“Do you think it’s big enough?” Brian asked sarcastically. He looked up at the tall evergreen. It had to be almost twelve feet tall, twice as tall as he was.

“I think it’s perfect, Dada,” Bree said.

“We need a big tree for the sun porch. The roof’s very high,” Gus contributed. “I think it will look great. You don’t want some dinky little tree.”

Brian stared at his son. “What do you think, Ashley?” he asked the little girl.

“It’s awful big,” she said seriously, “but it will be … wonderful.” There was awe in her voice.

“Then the consensus wins. Let’s cut this puppy down,” Brian said.

“Yay!” Bree and Ashley said at the same time.

“I’ll get the tools,” Gus said as he headed back to the booth at the tree farm where you could get tools or someone to help you cut down your selected Christmas tree.

“Uncle Bri, will this tree fit on the roof of the car?” Patrick asked.

Brian smiled. “I was wondering the same thing, but I think we can manage. It’s not that far back to the cottage.”

“We’ll have to tie it tight,” Patrick added.

“Absolutely,” Brian agreed. “Wouldn’t want it flying off the roof of the car. You sound just like your father when you say things like that.” Brian tousled the red hair.

Patrick grinned. “I want to be an architect just like my Dad,” Patrick replied.

“Good for you.”

“I thought you wanted to be a lawyer like your Poppa,” Bree supplied.

Patrick frowned. “Yeah, that would be okay too.” Brian smiled at the boy who had two great fathers to emulate.

“What do you want to be, Bree?” Patrick asked.

“I want to be a artist like my daddies,” Bree declared.

“Don’t you mean like your Daddy?” Patrick asked her.

“Nope, bof my daddies are artists.”

“We are?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“You make good advertising, Dada. Very pretty. Daddy told me all about what you do at Kinnetik. I be an artist just like you and Daddy.”

“You can be anything you want to be, Squirt,” Brian chuckled. He was silently pleased to be included in the ranks of the artists in the family.

“What do you want to be, Ashley?” Patrick asked the quiet little girl.

“I’m going to be a doctor,” Ashley stated decisively.

“That’s a worthy goal,” Brian said.

Ashley nodded her head. “My mommy gets really bad headaches, and I want to help her.”

“That’s good, Ashley,” Bree told her with a very serious expression on her face. “Maybe I should be a doctor too.” Bree looked very thoughtful.

“You don’t have to make a decision just yet,” Brian said gently.

At that moment Gus returned with a saw and an axe to chop down the tree.

“Let’s get to work, team,” Brian said. “We have a tree to fell.”

“Silly Dada,” Bree laughed. “The tree won’t fell by itself. We have to chop it down.”

“Right you are, Squirt,” Brian chuckled. He didn’t want to try to explain to his daughter what felling a tree meant.

Gus shook his head. “Want to chop or saw?” he asked his father.

“If you hold the branches up. I’ll start the process with the axe,” Brian said.

Before long they had the huge tree down. Brian sawed off the bottom of the trunk to make it even.

“Grab the top, Gus,” Brian instructed. “I’ll take the bottom. Each of you children take a limb and we’ll carry it back to the car.”

The little troop moved along the path. When they reached the booth, Brian paid the exorbitant amount demanded for the very large tree. The workers at the lot helped get the tree strapped to the roof of the SUV.

“Hot chocklet,” Bree said as soon as they were finished.

“Yes, Squirt. Let’s go inside and get five hot chocolates. I think my toes have already frozen into little blocks of ice."

“Maybe I should be a foot doctor,” Bree said, as Brian took her hand and Gus took Ashley’s. Patrick brought up the rear. They all walked over to the shed where hot chocolate was on tap.


Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 2





“How’s it look, Squirt?” Brian asked Bree. The assembled family stood back to admire Brian’s handiwork in resurrecting the tree in the sun porch. Even without decorations, the full evergreen was a sight to behold. The aroma of fresh pine filled the porch.

“It’s bootiful, Dada!” Brian didn’t bother to correct Bree. He knew she was teasing but he agreed; the tree was indeed beautiful.

“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett said as he breezed into the sun porch with Drew, Ted and Allen in tow. “Oh my, that’s a lot of wood!” Emmett exclaimed as he looked the tree up and down.

“Thank you,” Brian snarked as he handed Emmett a cup of eggnog and waggled his eyebrows.

“Oh you,” Emmett said as they all laughed.

“So are we going to decorate it?” Ted asked.

“That’s the plan,” Justin said. “And since my he-man hunted down the tree and erected...”

“I excel at erecting, Sunshine,” Brian interjected.

“Yes, you do,” Justin said as he wrapped his arms around his lover then gave his he-man a kiss. “And since you did such an outstanding job of obtaining our tree and securing it in the stand, it’s only fair that we do the decorating.”

“And what am I supposed to do while you’re all decorating?”

“Oh I don’t know, maybe sit, relax, watch my country ass as I work on the tree,” Justin said seductively.

“Mmm, my favorite pastime, Sunshine watching,” Brian purred. Justin helped his mate settle back on the chaise then joined the family in decorating the tree.



*****



While the family wrestled with tree ornaments and the task of turning the sun porch into a Winter wonderland, Brian decided that sitting idly by just wasn’t for him. So he began to make a simple dinner consisting of a huge salad, a large pot of tomato soup and dozens of grilled cheese sandwiches. John thought it prudent to help.

“What’s wrong, big bro? That’s the third time I’ve seen you grimace tonight. You been taking too many dips into the holiday cookies?”

“No, I haven’t. As a matter of fact, food has lost its appeal lately.”

“How long has this been going on?”

“Not sure. I was fine throughout the Summer but then about a month ago my side began to ache. Not a lot and not every day. Since it happened around Thanksgiving, I just thought I overdid it.”

“We do have a habit of celebrating large,” Brian commented.

“Yes, we do. Then it all went away. About a week ago, the pain returned.”

“Appendix?”

“Nah, had that removed when I was twelve.”

Brian flipped a bunch of sandwiches as John stirred the pot.

“I think you should talk to Doctor Dan. Have him check you out before it gets any worse. If anything happened to you, you’d have one really pissed off red-head on your hands.”

“Yeah, I know.”

“Can you handle having the soup? Maybe you should skip the cheese.”

“I can handle the soup. The salad shouldn’t be a problem either.”

“Okay, but if the pain gets any worse, I’m taking you to the hospital,” Brian growled.

“Don’t get all tough with me, Kinney. I can still take you.”

“Maybe, but if I squeal on you, that angry red-head will be all the backup I’ll need,” Brian said smugly. John nodded; he might be strong enough to bully Brian but not Bobby.

“Okay, you win. When Dan visits on Christmas I’ll speak with him. If he recommends I go to his clinic on Tuesday, I will. No argument.”

“Good enough. Now let’s go feed our Christmas angels.”

Brian and John began to bring the dinner fixings out to the porch.



*****



“So are you good with telling the family that we’re expecting in May?” Owen Jr. asked his wife. They were packing an overnight bag for their trip up to the cottage. Brian had insisted that they prepare to stay the night.

“Yup, I think it’s best. Although most of Liberty Avenue won’t be there,” Molly replied.

“I know. How is Debbie?”

“Mom spoke to her earlier today,” Molly laughed.

“What’s so funny?”

“Apparently, Debbie had taken a pain pill. Mom said she was stoned.”

“Now there’s a scary thought,” Owen chuckled then he gently patted Molly’s tiny baby bump. “I’m so happy, Mol, are you?”

“Yes,” Molly whispered, “I’m very happy.”



*****



It was Christmas Eve and everyone was sitting around in the sun porch. The abbreviated family who were going to be at Edna’s Treasures for Christmas was all there. The tree was decorated and the lights were twinkling on the branches. All assembled were quiet looking at the beautiful tree and the lightly falling snow outside.

“I hope we don’t get another storm for Christmas like we had last year,” Seth said.

“You don’t want another adventure like our shoveling escapades of last Christmas?” Brian chuckled. Justin was snuggled up against him on the chaise. He kissed the top of the blond head.

“I like shoveling,” Bree piped up.

“Sure you do, Squirt,” Brian replied. “You moved one shovelful of snow for every ton I moved.”

Justin pinched Brian and whispered, “That wasn’t very nice.”

“I still have sore muscles form all the shoveling,” Brian griped. Then he frowned and looked at his daughter. She looked ready to cry.

“I tried to help, Dada,” Bree whispered.

“I know you tried to help, sweetheart. And you did help, you and Patrick. Everybody helped. I’m just being grumpy,” Brian said regretting his hasty remark. “Come give me a hug, Squirt.” Bree crawled up on the chaise with her daddies. “And you better pray that we do not fucking have another snowstorm like last year,” Brian added once the princess had settled down on his lap. All seemed to be forgiven.

“As the resident weather predictor, I would say we don’t have anything to worry about,” John told the group. He popped his finger in his mouth and held the wet digit up in the air. “All clear,” he declared.

“Is the wind in the sun porch that predictable, Uncle John?” Gus laughed.

“Absolutely!”

“I need a drink,” Brian stated after a minute. “How about the rest of you?”

Most people nodded and mumbled their agreement. Brian and Bobby got up to go get drinks for everyone. Bobby brought in the huge bowl of eggnog that Emmett had prepared.

“It’s laced with the best rum money can buy,” Emmett announced. “I’ll have a large one please, Master Bobby.”

“Coming right up,” Bobby replied as he ladled a cup of the creamy liquid for Emmett.

“Beer?” Brian said from the doorway. A few hands went up and he distributed the bottles to those who wanted them.

Bobby was still dishing out the eggnog when Brian came back with a bottle of wine and also a bottle of very old scotch. He doled that out to those who wanted it. Bobby went and got some apple cider for the children.

“Pop, can I have a glass of wine?” Gus asked before Brian set it down.

“I don’t see why not, Sonny Boy. It’s the holiday season. But only one.”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus said with a big smile. He was finally getting to be treated like an adult.

Brian poured his son a half glass of red wine. Gus sipped it and made a face.

“It’s an acquired taste,” Brian said with a smile.

“I’ll keep trying,” Gus said. He really didn’t like the wine very much, but he didn’t want to admit it in front of everyone.

“Everybody got a drink?” Brian asked.

“Molly, you don’t have anything,” Jennifer said as she looked at her daughter. “Here, have my wine and I’ll get another glass.”

“No thanks, Mom.”

“But…can I get you something else?” Seth asked.

“Only some juice,” Molly said with a radiant smile.

“Juice? On Christmas Eve? That’s not allowed,” Brian declared.

“It is if one is pregnant.” Molly grinned.

“Pregnant?” The question echoed from all over the sun porch.

“You…you’re pregnant?” Jennifer asked, her mouth dropping open. “But you didn’t say anything.”

“I’m saying it now,” Molly stated.

“But … how far along…?”

“Not quite four months,” Owen said wanting to have a part in this discussion.

“Oh my God, Molly! That’s wonderful!” Jennifer squealed. “I’m going to be a grandma.”

“Congratulations, you two,” Justin said coming over to hug his sister and shake Owen’s hand.

The congratulations and questions flew around the sun porch for the next several minutes, until everyone had been filled in on all aspects of the good news.

“This is the best Christmas present,” Jennifer gushed. “I’m so happy.”

Brian sat down on the chaise where Bree still remained. He noted the troubled look on her face. “What’s the matter, Squirt? You like babies, don’t you?”

“Don’t know,” Bree pouted.

“Sure you do.”

“Dada, will Gamma Jenn still be my grandma if Molly has her baby?”

“Of course she will.”

“She forgot all about me,” Bree continued to pout. “She just wants the new baby.”

“That’s not true, Bree. She’s just excited because Molly made her announcement. It was a surprise to everybody,” Brian explained.

“Can I still be the flowergirl at the wedding?”

“I would think so. The baby won’t even be born by then, if my calculations are correct,” Brian chuckled.

“Good,” Bree said emphatically.



*****



Hector, Raph and Curtis were sitting in the living room of the Piece of Plenty. Seamus had invited them to join him for Christmas Eve. Christmas carols were playing softly in the background. They each had a drink and were looking at the finished tree, watching the lights as they blinked on and off.

“How do you like our tree?” Seamus asked.

“I love it,” Raph said. “We’ll have to start getting a real tree when we have Christmas at home.”

“Would you like that, Curtis?” Hector asked.

Curtis nodded. “I love the tree.” He stared at it for a minute or two. “I didn’t know anything could be so beautiful.”

Raph and Hector looked at each other, their eyes filling with tears. Raph reached over and took Hector’s hand giving it a warm squeeze.

Seamus watched them and smiled. “Christmas brings out the best in us. We feel things much more intensely than we do any other time of year. Especially the love of family and friends.

Everyone nodded at that statement knowing the truth of Seamus’ words.

“Is this normally how you spend Christmas Eve?” Hector asked.

“Sometimes I go to a party at a friend’s, but I’m much happier here with you tonight,” Seamus said.

“That’s lovely to hear,” Raph replied. “We couldn’t ask for a better Christmas Eve.”

“One thing will make it better,” Seamus stated. The three people in the room stared at him wondering what could possibly be better than what they were doing. “I’m going to midnight mass. It’s always so beautiful, the music and the service. Would you like to join me?”

“We’re not Catholic,” Raph said.

“I used to be,” Hector added ruefully. “But I haven’t been to church in a very long time. They didn’t want me when they found out I was gay.”

“My church is very forward looking. If you’d like to come, I’d like you to be there with me. The service really is lovely.”

“Won’t they object to a couple of fags and their new son being in their church?” Raph asked.

Seamus shook his head. “As far as I know, they don’t ask about sexual orientation when you come through the door. You won’t be able to take communion, but then I rarely take it either.”

“What do you say, Curtis?” Raph asked.

“I’ve never been to a Catholic church, but you make it sound nice,” Curtis said slowly.

“Looks like you’ve got company for midnight mass,” Hector grinned.

“That’s great,” Seamus replied with a warm smile.



*****



“Bree, come sit beside me,” Molly requested. She had seen the unhappy look on the little girl’s face, and she thought she knew the likely source.

Bree walked slowly to the couch and climbed up beside her Aunt Molly. Everyone else kept talking, trying not to look like they were watching to see what Bree might do.

“Are you worried about me having a baby?” Molly asked as Bree snuggled up against her.

Bree nodded. “Don’t want a baby.”

“Really?” Molly asked. “I’m really looking forward to it.”

“Why?” Bree asked.

“Because it will be part of Owen and me. Having children is a great experience. Your daddies wouldn’t have such a great life without you in it. That’s what I want from my son or daughter,” Molly explained.

“Is it a son or a daughter?” Bree asked.

“I don’t know yet.”

“Why not?”

“It’s too tiny to tell.”

“Where is it?”

“Right here,” Molly said placing Bree’s little hand on her tummy. “Inside there.”

Bree frowned. “How does it breathe?”

“It’s connected to me and I give it oxygen and blood and food.”

“Oh?” Bree said in wonder.

“Babies need lots of care when they’re little.”

“Do you want it to be a girl or a boy?” Bree asked.

“I don’t know,” Molly said. “It doesn’t really matter.”

“Yes, it does,” Bree declared. “I have mostly boys around here, except for you and JR, and Michelle and Cindy. But they’re hardly never here no more, and neither are you. I think it should be a girl.”

“Hm, that’s a good point,” Molly agreed. “But it might be a boy.”

“No, a girl!”

“I can’t guarantee that,” Molly chuckled.

“Could you trade it for a girl if it’s a boy?” Bree asked in all seriousness.

Molly laughed. “No, I’m afraid I’m stuck with whatever I get.”

“Okaaay,” Bree agreed reluctantly. “I guess a boy would be all right.”

“When it gets a little bigger you’ll be able to feel it kicking inside me,” Molly explained.

“Really?” Bree asked in surprise. “But I’m not apposed to kick anybody. How come the baby gets to kick?”

“The baby isn’t really kicking,” Molly said gently. “It’s just moving around inside me, and it feels a bit like it’s kicking.”

“Does it hurt?”

“No, it’s kind of fun actually.”

“Okay,” Bree agreed.

“Do you feel better about me having a baby now?”

“Well, if you have to have one, yes,” Bree stated.

“I do have to, and I want to. I’ll always love you, Bree, but I have enough love for the baby too.”

“’Kay, Auntie Molly.”

“Good girl.”

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 3





“Yay, it’s Christmas!” Bree screeched as she dashed out of her room and into the sun porch....at five...in the morning.

The Bridgeton family was due in at noon. They were planning to stay at Rachel and George’s house when the Christmas celebration was over before heading back home the following day. Jennifer and Seth were sleeping on the attic pull-out leaving the brass bed for Molly and Owen. Ted and Allen were staying at Drew and Emmett’s.

“Justin,” Brian murmured as he poked his lover with his elbow.

“Mmm,” Justin grumbled as he rolled away from the offending bony protuberance.

“Justin, your daughter is out there making a racket.” Justin rolled toward Brian then cracked open one eye. Brian gazed at the glaring blue orbit.

“Why is it when Briana is making a racket, she’s my daughter?” The eyelids surrounding the blue orbit narrowed on their prey.

“For the same reason she becomes my daughter when the Squirt is covered head to toe in mud,” Brian said smugly recalling the afternoon when their waif decided to water her plants all by herself. Justin groaned. Brian’s logic was impeccable as always.

“So what do I do with an excited five year old at the crack of dawn on Christmas morning?” Justin asked in frustration.

“I’m sure you’ll come up with something.” Justin began to frown. “But if I were you, I’d try to reason with the Squirt. She’s a smart cookie. She’ll understand that even though it is Christmas morning and there appears to be thousands of presents under the tree all with her name on them, we should wait until a decent time before we scream the house down.”

Justin nodded in agreement. Bree could be a very reasonable child when she wanted to be.

“On the other hand, I find bribery often helps in situations like these. Offer Bree one present on the proviso that she goes back to her room for the next three hours and plays quietly.”

Again, Brian’s logic was solid. Justin left Brian’s warm arms to slip into a set of warm sweats then left their room to deal with the whirlwind in the porch before she woke up the whole cottage. Brian watched Justin leave the room as he settled back down.

“Bree,” Justin whispered as he entered the porch looking for his wayward child.

“Shhh,” Molly shushed. “She’s here and asleep,” Molly said drowsily. Briana had climbed up onto the brass bed, nestled between Molly and Owen then promptly fell back to sleep.

“Do you want me to take her back to her room?” Justin asked quietly.

“No, please let her stay,” Owen said, his eyes shining with love. Bree reminded Owen so much of Molly and especially Molly as a child. Jennifer had showed Owen most of Molly's baby pictures. He envisioned his own daughter with bright blue eyes and strawberry blond hair. He gently swiped the wisps of the fine blond hair off Bree’s face.

Justin smiled then went back to his room.

“All under control, Sunshine?” Brian asked as Justin crawled back under the covers to snuggle next to his lover.

“Yes,” Justin confirmed. “And I think Molly and her husband will make wonderful parents,” Justin murmured as sleep retook him.

“Just like her brother,” Brian whispered, kissing the blond mane then drifting back to sleep.



*****



“Helll-ooo!” Emmett called out as he let himself in through the front door of Brian’s end of the cottage. “Anyone awake?”

“Yes, as you can see, we’re all awake,” Brian groused as he was making breakfast. The whole cottage was indeed awake, and at a more respectable hour. “Where are Tweedledee and the other boys?” Brian asked after Ted, Allen and Drew.

“They’ll be down soon, some last minute gift wrapping or some such. I’m here to help with breakfast.” Emmett stepped up closer to the stove. Brian smiled appreciatively at his loyal friend of so many years. Together they quietly continued to make the family’s breakfast.



*****



Christmas dinner although somewhat short on family wasn’t short on food or fun. Brian played Santa, Emmett his faithful Christmas fairy and Bree, his angel. It was close to midnight when John sent Beau to accompany the boys back to Emmett and Drew’s cottage. John walked with the Bridgeton family back to Rachel and George’s house.

“This was a beautiful Christmas, Jackie,” Claire said as she kissed her son who escorted them all to the door.

“You, Brian and the boys did a wonderful job, son,” Steve affirmed as he patted John on the shoulder. “A real fine job.” John blushed at their praise.

John kissed Rachel and Emily and had a bear hug for George. Taking Dan aside, John had a few words with his father-in-law doctor.

“Dan, I, um...” John wasn’t quite sure what to say.

“John, I’ll be at the clinic bright and early on Wednesday. Just rest tomorrow then come to the clinic fasting. We’ll draw some blood and do a sonogram.”

“But how?”

“I’ve been a doctor for a long time. You’ve lost a little weight and you’re off your feed. Anyone with eyes can see that you’re hurtin’ too. Now go home, rest, ease off any heavy meals and tell my son that you’re not feeling well before he figures it out and gets angry that you’re hiding something,” Dan advised his son-in-law.

“Yes, sir. Goodnight, sir,” John said contritely then went back to Edna’s Treasures.

“Trouble?” Claire asked Dan before entering the bedroom she and Steve were going to use for the night.

“No, no,” Dan reassured the astute woman. “I think John is experiencing a bit of a gall bladder problem. I instructed him to come to my clinic on Wednesday. If that’s what it is, it’s an easy problem to fix. He’ll be back building houses in no time.”

“I’ll hold you to that.”

“Don’t worry, Miss Claire, that boy of yours is tough as nails.” The in-laws bid each a good night then retired to their rooms.



*****



“Hey,” Brian greeted his brother as John came through Brian’s door. Brian watched John lock up just out of habit. Only family ever came to their lane.

“Hey,” John replied. “Did Beau come back?”

“Yup, a few minutes ago. I gave him a piece of turkey as a reward,” Brian admitted. “We’re making hot cocoa,” Brian said as he stirred a pot. John gave Brian a look.

“The kids are out for the count, even Gus. Jenn and Seth have turned in. Molly had a craving,” Brian said as if he really needed an excuse to make hot cocoa. “So do you want some?”

“Yeah, maybe a little, it’s cold out there.”

“Here.” Brian poured two mugs. “Bobby’s on your side. Take this back to him and tell him.” Brian had eyes. John took the mugs of cocoa to his end of the cottage.

“Is John all right?” Justin asked as he came into the kitchen. Brian was pouring the remaining cocoa into four mugs. He set the pot into the sink to soak then handed Justin two of the mugs.

“Not sure, but he will be,” Brian said.

“Okay,” Justin said, taking whatever Brian said as gold.

“Come on, Sunshine, let’s go bring the breeders their cocoa then go to bed,” Brian snarked. Justin rolled his eyes as he followed his spouse out to the porch.



*****



“Babe,” John began as he opened the door to their room with his offering of cocoa.

“Mmm, I thought I smelled chocolate,” Bobby said as he inhaled the rich aroma of the cocoa.

“I wish I could take credit for it but Molly had a craving that Brian could not say no to.”

“I like hot cocoa before I go to bed, makes me feel warm inside.”

“I thought that was my job,” John smirked.

“Always but cocoa can’t hurt.”

“No it can’t.” John paused as he sipped the warmed milk. “Bobby, I haven’t been feeling well lately. Nothing specific but something’s off. I have an appointment with your father on Wednesday.” John held his breath while he waited for Bobby’s reaction.

“Finally!” Bobby exclaimed.

“Huh?”

“I knew something wasn’t right, and did you think I wouldn’t notice the weight loss?”

“Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because, you big lug, I was hoping you’d tell me on your own.”

“Oh,” John said contritely.

“What time do you have to be there?”

“Early.”

“I’m coming with you, no argument,” Bobby said sternly.

“No argument,” John agreed.

“Good, then finish your cocoa and let’s go to bed. I need you to keep me warm,” Bobby said with love in his voice.

“Yes, sir,” John said with a smile.

The lovers finished their cocoa then snuggled down to sleep.



*****



Meanwhile in Pittsburgh, Christmas was winding down at the Novotny-Horvath household.

“Here, sweetheart, have another glass of wine,” Carl said to his wife. She had been sitting on the sofa shifting restlessly and grimacing for the last hour.

“Thanks,” Debbie said having a long drink from the full glass. That was at least her fourth, but she didn’t have to drive anywhere. All she had to do was get up the fucking stairs to her bed. She glanced over at the stairs and groaned to herself. They suddenly looked very long and daunting.

“I think you should take another pain pill,” Carl told his wife.

“No, I’m fine,” Debbie said curtly.

“Maybe we should go,” Lindsay said. “You look uncomfortable, Deb, and we’ve been here all day.”

“You fucking stay where you are. I want to spend all of Christmas Day with my family … even if it is a smaller family than usual.”

“Then take a pill, Maw,” Michael said sticking a pill in her face. He had decided he had watched her suffer for long enough.

“They make me loopy,” Debbie sighed turning her head away. “Just ask Carl.”

Carl chuckled. “It’s kind of an interesting performance actually.”

“Shut the fuck up, honey, or I’ll have to hurt you,” Debbie threatened.

“You’ll have to be able to get off that couch by yourself first,” Carl chuckled again.

“From your lips to God’s ears.”

“Maw, take the damn pill,” Michael repeated.

“Oh, for fuck sake, all right.” Debbie grabbed the pill and stuck it in her mouth washing it down with the remains of her glass of wine. “Another wine, garcon!” she ordered Carl.

“Yes, ma’am.” Carl took her empty glass and replaced it quickly with a full one. Debbie took another drink.

“You should be careful with wine when you take those pills,” Melanie warned.

“I’ll be out of it any minute now anyway,” Debbie replied.

“Well, dinner was great as always. It was kind of nice having a smaller group for Christmas,” Lindsay observed. “But I did miss Gus.”

“He’s growing up just like my Michael,” Debbie said looking fondly at her son. “Soon he’ll be going away and you won’t see very much of him just like Michael.”

“Maw, I’m here all the time,” Michael protested. “And we just live a few streets away.”

“I know, but it’s not the same as having a little one around,” Debbie said becoming rather maudlin as the drug kicked in. “Even my granddaughter is growing up.”

“Yes I am, grandma,” JR piped in.

“Sweetheart, you’re so beautiful, I … I just love you so mush.” Debbie was starting to slur her words.

“I think we better go,” Lindsay said softly.

“No, no, please shtay.”

“Come on, Mel,” Lindsay prodded.

They stood and looked at Carl for permission. He nodded in agreement.

“I’ll get your coats,” Carl said heading upstairs to retrieve the pile of coats on their bed.

“Bye, Deb. Christmas was lovely,” Melanie said.

Debbie yanked the mother of her grandchild down into a bone crushing hug. “Thank you for being here, and for giving me my wunnerful, wunnerful granddaughter.”

“You’re very welcome,” Melanie said trying not to laugh. It was hard to tell if Debbie was sloshed or stoned, but they seemed to be having the same effect whichever it was.

Everyone hugged Debbie and donned their coats. Debbie held on tightly to each of her guests and whispered increasingly unintelligible comments to them before letting go. JR was the last and it seemed like Debbie might not let her go at all.

When they were finally able to pry the girl out of Debbie’s grasp, everyone except Michael and Ben headed out. They were going to stay and help Carl get his wife up the stairs.

“Okay, Deb, let’s get you to bed,” Carl said after he closed the door on their guests.

“It was a wunnerful party,” Debbie sighed.

“Yes, wonderful,” Carl replied. “Sit up, honey.”

“Wunnerful, wunnerful,” Debbie mumbled as she let Carl help to get her to the edge of the sofa.

“She sounds like Lawrence Welk,” Ben laughed as he helped to hoist his mother-in-law off the sofa.

“You’re just so wunnerful, Benjie. The bestest son-in-law in the whole wide world.”

“That’s great, Deb. Now, one foot ahead of the other. Come on, atta girl,” Ben encouraged. He had one of Debbie’s arms and Carl had the other. Michael brought up the rear as they tried to get Debbie to climb the stairs.

“Wunnerful, wunnerful Christmas,” Debbie muttered as she continued to plant a foot on each step at Carl’s direction.

“Almost there, Deb,” Ben said as they approached her bedroom.

“Wunnerful,” she mumbled as they lowered her onto the bed.

“I think she’s already asleep,” Michael said as he looked at his mother sprawled across the bed.

“Cover her up, and say a prayer of thanks,” Carl chuckled. “I couldn’t have done it without you.” He spread a blanket across his wife.

“Merry Christmas, Carl,” Michael said with a smile as he headed for the door.

“Wunnerful,” Debbie mumbled in her sleep.



*****



“It’s getting late,” Raph said looking at his watch. “You should be getting to bed, young man.”

Curtis made a face. “I’m not tired. I’m too excited.”

“Let him stay up. We can sleep in as long as we like in the morning,” Hector advised.

“It sounds like you all will have so much to remember about your first Christmas together,” Seamus said. “I don’t see the problem with enjoying it for as long as possible.”

“Me either,” Curtis said with a big smile.

“Looks like I’m overruled,” Raph laughed. “But that’s okay. Christmas only comes once a year.”

“What did you like best about your first Christmas with your new dads, Curtis?” Seamus asked.

“Um…”

Seamus frowned and was about to ask if there was a problem when he felt Raph touch his arm. He looked at the man, as Raph shook his head indicating for Seamus to wait.

“I liked being here,” Curtis began. “It’s nice and warm. Last year I was on the streets of Pittsburgh and I was freezing.”

“My goodness, I didn’t realize…” Seamus responded.

“That’s all over with now,” Hector said with a comforting smile at his son.

“Yep,” Curtis agreed. “I liked Christmas dinner, Mr. Griffin. Everything was delicious, but especially the apple pie.” Seamus smiled. “And I love my new iPod.”

“Sounds like you have had a very good Christmas, Curtis. I’m glad to have been part of it,” Seamus said honestly.

“I’m really glad you were too,” Curtis said with a big grin. “That pie really was awful good.”

“That sounds like a hint,” Seamus laughed. “I think there’s just enough for another small piece for each of us before we call it a night. What do you say?”

“I say yes,” Curtis agreed immediately.

“I’m going to have gained twenty pounds by the time we go home, but I’m in,” Raph said.

“Me too,” Hector added, as he got up to go help Seamus get the pie and drinks.

When they left the room, Raph turned to his son. “Has this really been a good Christmas, son? I wanted it to be something you would remember.”

“It’s been great, Dad. I’ll have so much to tell Billy when I go back to school. All the kids will be jealous. I’ve never had that happen before.” The smile on Curtis’ face threatened to split it open.

“Then we’re good.”

“Absolutely. Merry Christmas, Dad.”

“Merry Christmas, son.”

And it definitely was.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 4




“Sweetheart!”

“Gamma Deb!” Bree screeched as she ran into Debbie’s arms. “You all better, Gamma?” Brian and Justin had brought Bree to visit Debbie and Carl on January 6th as promised, to celebrate a belated Christmas.

“All better, honey. How was Christmas?”

“Good, but I missed you and Auntie Molly has a baby in her belly and Unca John is gonna have a oporashun and I be flower girl for Gamma Jenn and Gampa Seth and I’m gonna be six,” Bree said all in one breath as she held up her hands to demonstrate six to Debbie.

Debbie looked up at Brian, who was wearing his patented smirk and Justin, who merely innocently shrugged.

“Well, I guess we can go home now,” Brian snarked. “That about sums up our lives for the next few months. See ya, Deb!” Taking Justin’s hand, Brian pretended to leave Debbie’s house.

“Hold it right there, mister,” Debbie commanded. Brian turned, still smiling. “Now sit, both of you, and tell me what the fuck is going on.”

Brian and Justin sat, making themselves comfortable while Carl brought over a tray of beverages and snacks.

“First, thank you, both of you, for the fruit baskets and the food deliveries and anything else you had your elves do for me and Carl these past couple of weeks.”

Brian maintained his neutral expression.

“Don’t even try it, kiddo. This has the hand of the master written all over it.”

Justin snorted.

“And you, Sunshine, don’t think I didn’t know about your involvement too. Sending over those twin bookends of yours to shovel and clean up the front walk. So don’t even try that oh so innocent look on me. I’m wise to you both. Now, what’s this about John?”

“He hasn’t been feeling very well for a few months and he finally took his stubborn ass to the doctor,” Brian explained.

“And?”

“Gall stones,” Brian confirmed.

“Is that all?”

“Yes, but you know all about those macho stoic types, Deb,” Justin quipped as he bit into a cracker with cheese. “He thought it would go away on its own.”

“Which it won’t, according to Doctor Dan,” Brian added. “John is being scheduled for surgery on the 11th. He’ll come home the next day.”

“But that’s next week! So soon?”

“Dan said it’s best to take it out before any real trouble starts. He says John is one healthy hunk of man, and he should come out of this with flying colors.”

“Do you want me to come to the cottage? I can stay for a few days to help,” Debbie offered.

“Thank you, Deb, but between Claire, Rachel and Emily, I think we have it covered.”

“Are you sure, Brian? I don’t mind.”

Brian reached over the coffee table to touch Debbie’s hand. “I’m sure, Maw. You know how John gets. He wouldn’t want a bunch of people hovering. It took a lot for him to agree to having his own mother stay with us let alone anybody else. The stubborn son of a bitch.”

“Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black, kiddo,” Debbie said smugly and Justin nodded in agreement.

“Be that as it may,” Carl interjected, “I think you should just concentrate on getting better before you offer to take care of anyone else.” Carl shot Debbie a pointed look.

“Is there something you’re not telling us, Debbie?” Brian glared at his surrogate mother.

“No,” Debbie squeaked then shoved a slice of apple in her mouth.

“Carl?” Brian turned his gaze onto the retired officer and current manager of Babylon. Carl sighed then took a seat next to his wife.

“Brian, Debbie is healing very nicely, according to her doctor.”

“But?”

“But, he did recommend that Debbie hang up her apron for good. She could have been hurt a lot worse than a bruised back and pulled muscles.” Before Debbie could protest, Carl continued. “Of course, the lady in question has other ideas. And I, for one, think it’s time. We want to travel, see some sights that this country of ours has to offer and never got around to seeing.”

“We,” Brian knew what was coming next.

“Yes, Brian, we. Look, you gave me a purpose, something to do with myself while Debbie was still out there being Earth Mother to Liberty Avenue. But in case you haven’t noticed, we’re getting old.”

“No, you’re not,” Brian said softly, “you’re some of the youngest people I know.” There was a hitch in Brian’s voice that he couldn’t conceal. “What will I do without you?” Brian arose from his seat.

“Oh sweetheart, it’ll be okay. I promise,” Debbie said she got up off the sofa. Debbie drew Brian into a hug and hung on for dear life.

Just then Michael and Ben with JR came into the house. The two girls immediately ran off to sit near the Christmas tree, giggling as girls would do and began to seek out the gifts that were there waiting for Bree.

“He knows,” Ben whispered to Michael as they greeted Carl.

“You knew about this?” Justin asked as he greeted the two men.

“We had an idea,” Michael began. “Ma gets a real loose tongue when she takes the good drugs.” Justin giggled. “It’ll be hard going into the diner knowing Ma’s not there anymore but...”

“But, Carl and Debbie should be enjoying life at this point in time, not worrying about the lunch rush,” Ben said.

“Or what color glitter should rain down on the dance floor,” Michael added.

“I agree, Debbie should have retired years ago, but Brian is not going to want to let you go. You’ve been invaluable to Brian since you took over Babylon,” Justin said to Carl.

“I’m sure Schmidt will have some ideas, Sunshine,” Brian growled as he gave Debbie a kiss then went to shake Carl’s hand. “What the fuck am I going to do without you, officer?”

“Brian, you have a good bunch of people at the club. There are several who can take over, but I do have a couple of ideas of my own. But this is a party, no business talk at a party.”

“I agree, Monday will be soon enough,” Brian affirmed. “Now who wants presents?” Brian asked loudly as he whipped out his Santa hat and plopped it on his head.

“YAY!” JR, Debbie and Michael called out as Justin retrieved a large shopping bag from near the front door.



*****



By the end of the evening, Debbie’s house was all cleaned up. The ornaments and Christmas decorations were boxed up and stowed away in the attic for next year. Ben and Michael were leaving to take JR back to Muncherville. Brian was sipping a cup of coffee in the kitchen as Debbie was spreading her kisses and lipstick on the departing family.

“I never liked Little Christmas,” Brian grumbled.

“Bite your tongue, Brian,” Debbie admonished Brian sharply then cuffed his ear. “This is the Epiphany,” Debbie said as if that explanation would mollify Brian.

“I don’t understand,” Justin said as he looked back and forth from Debbie to Brian.

“The Epiphany...” Debbie was about to go into her explanation regarding the meaning of the day. Brian stopped her.

“I’m sure there’s some religious mumbo jumbo surrounding this day, Sunshine.”

“Brian, one of these days...”

“I know, I’m going straight to hell. Probably the only straight thing I’ll ever do. But to me this day means the end of Christmas. From the first time I met Debbie and Mikey, I got roped into helping them decorate this house for Christmas. I always hated the holidays at my house. Back then Jack and Joanie did nothing to mark the day or the season. Jack usually drank away his holiday bonus money and Joan, well, she had her reasons. The point is...”

“The point is,” Debbie took over. “When Brian became a part of my family, I tried to make Christmas even more special. And since I tried to have a real tree each year, we put it up as close to Christmas as we could to keep it fresh and always took it down on Little Christmas.”

“So that’s why you hate Little Christmas,” Justin said with new understanding into his spouse’s psyche. Brian shrugged then opened his arms for Justin. “I love you,” Justin whispered.

“I know,” Brian said softly into Justin’s ear. Brian gently kissed Justin then pushed him back. “Come on, Sunshine, time to take our elf home. We have our own undecorating to do. Deb, we’ll take the tree to the curb on our way out. And I’ll see you both on Monday to discuss our options.”

“All right, kiddo. You be careful driving home.”

“Yes, Maw,” Brian sing-songed as he got his own sloppy, lipsticky kiss.

With hugs and kisses all around, the Kinney-Taylors drove back to Edna’s Treasures.



*****



“What’s all this?” Brian asked as they entered the sun porch which miraculously was in its pre-holiday state, minus any signs of Christmas.

“A set of elves descended on the cottage not long after you left this morning,” John explained.

“I imagine the head elf was in fact a tall skinny fairy?” Brian snarked. John and Bobby nodded. “Hmm,” Brian mumbled. “I think I need a drink,” he grumbled then went to pour himself a small glass of brandy.

“What’s up with him?” Bobby asked.

“He found out that Debbie and Carl are planning to retire and do a bit of traveling. He’s experiencing separation anxiety,” Justin said.

“Ah,” John said then went to seek out his brother who he found making a fire. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. Just feeling...”

“A little lost?”

“Yes. This had to happen sometime. Debbie and Carl are not getting any younger, but I just wasn’t ready for it to happen now.”

“I understand. When Gordon wanted to pull up stakes and move to the Village, I thought I was going to lose him. They’re not moving away, Bri, and they deserve this time together.”

“I know. I’m just being selfish.”

“No, you’re not. And from what I can see, there’ll be a lot of men and women out there feeling the same way. Debbie and Carl, especially Debbie, have been fixtures on Liberty Avenue for a lot of years. And for most of your life, that woman has been a mother to you. No one can blame you for feeling lost. You’ll get through this, I promise.”

John crossed the room to give his brother a hug. Brian readily accepted the love and support.

“John, you’ll do what the doctor says, won’t you?” Brian murmured as he hung on to his brother.

“I will, I promise. You can’t get rid on me that easily.”

“Bite your tongue,” Brian growled. “Can you join me in a drink?”

“Just a small one.” Brian poured his brother a small snifter of brandy. The brothers settled in front of the fire to silently count their blessings.



*****



“Hey, Gus, got a minute?” Curtis called over to Gus who was walking down the hall of the high school.

“Yeah, I was heading to the cafeteria. Are you on lunch? Want to join me?”

“Sure.”

The two boys walked down the hall towards the cafeteria where they would be having lunch. When they had each got their meal, they found a table to sit at.

“Did you just get back?” Gus asked. He knew that Curtis and his new parents had gone to St. Augustine over the Christmas break.

“Yesterday,” Curtis grinned. “My dads decided to stay a little longer. They didn’t think missing a few days of school would make too much difference.”

“By the look on your face, I’d say you had a good time.”

“It was … great.”

“So, what did you do?”

“We had Christmas with Seamus Griffin who owns the B & B that we stayed at. He was great and the B & B was great too. He took us to midnight mass and I got an iPod and some new clothes. It was … great!”

“You’ve used the word great at least fifteen times,” Gus chuckled.

“Have not,” Curtis countered good-naturedly. “But it was … great!”

“I got that,” Gus assured him. “What else did you do?”

“We walked around a lot and ate out and saw the lighthouse and Ripley’s Believe It or Not, and a whole bunch of stuff. The weather was nice and warm, but not really warm enough to swim.”

“That’s too bad. After all your swimming lessons,” Gus commiserated.

“That’s okay. I can swim pretty good, but I’m not sure I’m ready for the ocean yet.”

“I’m sure you will be the next time you go there.”

“What makes you think there will be a next time?” Curtis asked.

“My Pop and Justin really liked it there, and then he sent my moms to the same B & B, and now you and your dads.”

“Did you go to St. Augustine with your father?”

Gus frowned. “No, they took Bree and Uncle John and Bobby and Patrick.”

“Oh!” Curtis replied in surprise. “I thought you would have gone too.”

“Pop took me to New York right after they came back. I guess he felt a little guilty about leaving me behind,” Gus said thoughtfully.

“I’d like to go to New York someday,” Curtis observed.

“I’m sure you’ll get to go there. Talk to your dads about it,” Gus advised. “There’s a million things to do there.”

“Maybe I will,” Curtis said thoughtfully. “Where would you like to go if you could pick a place anywhere in the world?”

“Hm,” Gus replied thinking about all the possibilities that he might choose. “Hawaii would be great,” he said finally.

“Oh, yeah! I never thought of that.”

“But I think I’d really like to go to Europe,” Gus admitted. “There’s so much history there. And the art! It would be great if my Pop and Justin could go too. Justin knows a lot about art history.”

“Maybe that’s what you should ask for when you graduate,” Curtis suggested.

“You may have a good idea there,” Gus laughed. He decided to file that away for future consideration.



*****



“Brian, where are you?” Justin shouted.

“Up here,” Brian said looking down from his attic office.

“How come when I was in Pittsburgh all the time, you were grumping around here and bemoaning that I wasn’t here? And now that I’m here, you hide away up in your office.”

“Is that what you think I’m doing?” Brian asked with a bemused smile.

“Yep.”

“You couldn’t be more wrong.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come up here and see.”

“What are you up to?” Justin asked as he started up the steps.

“Just a little something I whipped up,” Brian chuckled.

“What? What is it?” Justin asked eagerly as he entered the office.

Brian turned his computer screen for Justin to see. There on the screen was a huge bouquet of beautiful long stemmed yellow roses.

“They’re beautiful,” Justin said softly. “Is this part of an advertising campaign?”

“I guess you could say that,” Brian smirked.

Justin frowned. There seemed to be something that he wasn’t getting. “What’s the product?” Justin asked.

“I’m looking at it.”

Justin turned towards Brian only to find himself staring into the gold flecked eyes that he loved so much. He frowned and grinned and shuffled a foot. Usually he was onto Brian as soon as anything happened, but there was definitely something happening here that he wasn’t cluing into. “Tell me what’s going on.”

“Push F5,” Brian instructed.

Justin leaned over the computer and did as instructed. The white bow on the bouquet of yellow roses untied and revealed a message.

For my Sunshine, since real roses make him sneeze. I’m so happy to have you here with me.

“Do you like it?” Brian asked. Justin could almost feel Brian’s shyness at asking that question.

“I love it,” Justin said turning back to his husband. “You made it for me!” His smile was radiant.

“I did,” Brian grinned. “I may not be as computer savvy as your twins, but I can do a few things.”

“It’s wonderful, Brian. Thank you so much. I love my flowers.”

“I almost bought you roses a long time ago,” Brian said wistfully.

“When?” Justin asked in surprise.

“I … I changed my mind and didn’t get them for you. I wish now that I had.”

“What happened to ‘No apologies, no regrets’?” Justin asked.

“More of my bullshit,” Brian admitted. “Do you really like your virtual bouquet?”

“I couldn’t ask for anything better.”

Brian smiled warmly and found himself with his arms full of Sunshine.

“Do you think my mother and Seth would mind if I ravished you on the futon they so recently vacated?” Justin asked huskily.

“With apologies to your lovely mother, but who gives a fuck what she thinks about it?” Brian laughed. “Go for it, Sunshine.”

And Sunshine did.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 5




“The ubiquitous Richard Connolly, thank you for meeting me,” Brian said with a bit of a flourish as he shook the young reporter’s hand.

“Mr. Kinney.”

“Brian.”

“Brian, I was surprised to receive your call.”

“Good, I’m full of surprises. Let’s sit and order lunch,” Brian suggested.

“I’m also surprised at your choice of eating establishments,” Richard said as he looked around the diner.

“What? You don’t like diner food?”

“I love diner food. I guess it surprises me that a man of your stature likes diner food.”

“It’s all right.”

“Isn’t the Village Diner a little out of the way for you? Kinnetik’s on the other side of town.”

“True, but then I would have had to meet you at the Liberty Diner. Considering you barely survived your foray into Fag-land, I didn’t want to shock you.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Heteros are in the minority in the land of Liberty,” Brian explained.

“Oh, well, I...” Richard blushed. Brian held up his hand.

“No need to say anything, but I do need to say something. I wanted to thank you for the series of articles you wrote about Justin, and about the two of us. Not only were they well written but they were done with a professionalism that’s rarely seen today. I appreciate the effort you put into them. Although you had me on pins and needles for two months waiting for them to be published.”

“I’m sorry about that. What I learned about you, Justin and your family couldn’t possibly fit into just one article. I had to find a way to publish the series. The magazine seemed to be the way to go.”

“Well, I do thank you. Justin thanks you and the same goes for the rest of the family. Bree insisted on having her own copy of the magazine. I had the whole family running around town buying up whatever copies they could find. You righted some wrongs and I am forever grateful. But enough about me. Let’s have lunch then I want to hear if you managed to weasel out of your wife what sights she witnessed when she visited Babylon as a wee lass,” Brian said with a put up brogue.

Richard laughed and blushed at the same time.

“Uh huh, so she did spill the beans. Justin and I haven’t been dancing for a very long time, but if you want first hand experience of Liberty Avenue at its sexiest, glitziest, and at its gayest, you just say the word. We’ll personally escort you.”

Richard’s blush became deeper as their lunch arrived.

“Eat now, all you want to know about hot man on man sex, later,” Brian whispered, enjoying the varying deep tones of red on Richard’s face.

They ate their lunch in companionable silence.



*****



“Mr. John Anderson?” the admitting clerk called out into the waiting room on the appointed day for John's surgery. John and Bobby stood up. “This way please. Just Mr. Anderson for now, we’ll call you in a minute,” she addressed Bobby.

John gave Bobby a discreet peck on his temple then turned to follow.

“I’ll see you in a minute, Babe,” John said bravely to Bobby then disappeared through the door. Bobby stood there staring at the door for a second then returned to his seat.

“Mr. Anderson, just follow me, and please put these on. One gown with the opening to the back and you can use this one as a robe. I managed to find an extra large one. You are tall,” the woman exclaimed. John merely nodded as he accepted the hospital gowns with dignity. He appreciated the robe; he wasn’t fond of the thought of his worldly assets on display.

John placed his clothes in a bag that was coded for him, put on the gowns and then the booties on his feet. He waited a few minutes then was escorted to the prep area.

“Please have a seat and could you state your name for me?” a nurse in surgical scrubs asked, verifying her patient.

“John Anderson,” John said as he sat in a hospital chair.

“Mr. Anderson, my name is Nancy. I’ll be your scrub nurse today. What’s the procedure you’re having today?”

John gave her a curious look then answered. “I’m having my gall bladder removed.”

“Very good. In a few minutes your surgeon will be here to go over the procedure with you. You’ll also meet your anesthesiologist and we’ll start your IV. Is someone with you today?”

“Yes, my partner, Bobby Morrison, is in the waiting room,” John replied.

“I’ll go out and get him. He can stay until we take you into the operating suite,” the nurse said then turned to get Bobby.

“Thank you,” John murmured. Knowing he was going to see Bobby eased John’s nerves.

“John, good to see you again,” Dr. Kaplan said as he came into the prep room. “As you know we’ll be doing this procedure laprascopically.” The surgeon then went into detail of how he was going to perform the procedure. “It should be all over in about an hour.”

Just then Bobby walked into the prep room.

“Bobby?” the surgeon asked as Bobby took John’s hand.

“Marc? Marc Kaplan? You always said you wanted to be a doctor and you did it. It’s good to see you,” Bobby said as he shook the doctor’s hand. “John, Marc and I went to high school together. He was a football jock,” Bobby laughed.

“Well, I tried baseball but I kept dropping that stupid little ball. I needed something bigger.” The former classmates laughed. “Wait a minute, Morrison. You’re Dan Morrison’s son? Oh man, I got a call from him this morning. Said something about his son-in-law and that I better do right by him. Your old man still has privileges here and he’s on the advisory board. He’s a good doctor. He left a big hole when he decided to go back into private practice. Well, I have to do those doctor type things before John gets into the OR suite. I’ll take good care of him and see you later. John, I’ll see you in a few minutes.” The surgeon turned then disappeared through the curtains.

Before John or Bobby could say anything, the anesthesiologist came in and began to ask John a whole bunch of questions. He spoke so fast it was making John’s head spin. The nurse who was supervising chuckled then told the man to slow down. The anesthesiologist cleared up any questions John had then he also left the room. The last to come in was the nurse anesthetist. He explained what he was going to do then started the intravenous line in John’s left hand.

“We’re all set,” the scrub nurse said. “I’m going to take you in now. Mr. Morrison, if you would go back to the waiting room, we’ll let you know when the procedure is done.”

“Thank you,” Bobby said softly, gazing into John’s eyes. John took Bobby’s chin in his right hand, tilting up Bobby’s face. John placed a chaste kiss onto Bobby’s forehead.

“I love you,” John whispered.

“I love you, too,” Bobby replied. “See you when it’s all over and don’t give anyone a hard time,” Bobby teased. John smiled then followed the scrub nurse into the OR suite.

“John, I want you to step up here and lay down,” the nurse anesthetist indicated a small stool for John to use to step onto the table. “We’ll make you comfortable then I’ll give you something to make you sleep. It’ll all be over in no time.”

John laid back, watched all the masked faces perform their designated tasks then fell asleep.



*****



“It’s over, Babe,” John heard Bobby say. He was a little groggy, his throat felt slightly raw and his abdomen felt like he went a few rounds with Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and both Sugar Rays. “You did fine.”

John watched the nurse adjust his IV line and the alternating pressure wraps on his legs then he fell back to sleep.



*****



“So what room is he in?” Brian asked Justin as he looked around admiring some of the hot young doctors.

“Three forty-one and behave yourself,” Justin replied rolling his eyes, nonplussed at the wandering eye of his spouse. Surviving all the gossip that surrounded the couple before the holidays had only cemented Brian and Justin’s already strong relationship. But Brian being Brian and still the sexiest man on the planet, he had to flirt when the opportunity ‘came up.’

“There.” Justin pointed then slipped into the hospital room. John was scheduled to stay overnight then be discharged after the doctor’s rounds the next morning.

“Very attractive, big bro,” Brian snarked. “I love the blue spots,” Brian teased, referring to the typical blue spots on the hospital gown. “Anything good in here,” Brian went on, gently thumping the IV fluid bag that was pumping fluids into John’s arm.

“You know if I wasn’t stuck in this bed...” John tried to growl but his throat was still sore and the simple act of talking tired him. Brian stopped his teasing, then began to straighten out John’s sheets and blankets which were rather disheveled since being transferred into the bed.

“Thank you,” John whispered. Brian smiled his genuine smile. The one he only showed to his closest family.

“Where’s Bobby?” Justin asked noting the absence of his red-headed brother-in-law.

“I’m allowed clear fluids so he went to get me a cup of tea. IÂ’m feeling a little cold,” John explained. Brian immediately took the extra blanket that was draped at the bottom of the bed and added it to John’s covers. “Thanks,” John said.

“Anytime, can’t have you catching a chill, now can we?”

“Bobby’s also calling Patrick,” John explained. Both Patrick and Bree were nervous about John’s operation so they needed a little reassurance. Bree decided it was her job to look out for Patrick.

“Hey!” Bobby called out as he breezed into the room. He had John’s tea and a can of warm ginger ale.

“Hi,” John said with a smile.

Pushing the right buttons on the bed rails, they helped John to sit up so he could sip his tea.

“What’s for dinner?” Brian asked as an orderly brought in a tray and set it on the bedside table. Brian arched his brow at the silent delivery then began examining the items on the tray.

“Hmm, yummy. Apple juice and look! Two favors of Jello. Um, my mistake, gel-type dessert. We have yellow and red. Oh goody. Better eat it quick before it un-congeals,” Brian said, making a look of disgust on his face. “You made it through your little operation with flying colors only to be killed by some artificial gelatin. Yech!”

Bobby and Justin giggled.

“Making someone who just had abdominal surgery laugh, is NOT good. Justin, take him home before I bust a gut or something,” John groused.

“Fine, I can take a hint. Let’s go home, Sunshine, and leave mister grumpy pants to his hubby,” Brian grumbled good-naturedly. “We’ll be back in the morning to help take you home,” Brian whispered into his brother’s ear as he kissed John’s temple, patted down an unruly bit of hair then readjusted John’s pillow and blanket. “Come along, Sunshine!”

Justin gave John a kiss, hugged Bobby then accompanied his spouse. “See you later, Big Red,” Brian commanded as he and Justin left the room.

“Your brother certainly knows how to make an exit.”

“Yes he does.”

“Drink your tea before it gets too cold.”

“Yes, sir.”

An hour later John was peacefully sleeping as Bobby slipped out of the room.



*****



“Auntie Rachel, is Unca John going to be okay?” Bree asked. She and Patrick were sitting at Rachel’s kitchen table having cookies and milk.

Patrick looked up with a worried frown. “My daddy will be fine,” he declared.

“Absolutely,” Rachel said in support of her nephew. “Having your gall bladder removed nowadays is pretty routine.”

“But doesn’t he need his gall badder?” Bree asked.

“Bladder, dear,” Rachel chuckled. “And no you don’t need it.”

“Then why do we have it?”

Rachel stared at Bree. She had no idea how to answer that. “Maybe you should ask Dr. Dan that when you see him.”

“’Kay,” Bree agreed. “Should I be a gall badder doctor when I grow up?”

“You want to be a doctor?” Rachel queried. “I haven’t heard you say that before.”

“Ashley wants to be a doctor,” Patrick piped up, “so now Bree does too.”

“I see,” Rachel smiled.

“My Dada said I can be anything I want,” Bree declared, a little miffed that Patrick thought she was copying Ashley.

“And you definitely can be anything you want,” Rachel said trying to mollify the little girl.

“See,” Bree retorted to Patrick.

“When will my dad come home?” Patrick asked changing the subject. “I miss him.”

“He’ll be home tomorrow,” Rachel replied gently. “Don’t worry, Patrick. You heard what your Poppa said. The operation went fine.”

“It’ll be okay, Patrick,” Bree said taking the little boy’s hand into hers. All of her resentment about Patrick thinking she was copying Ashley melted away, as she realized how worried Patrick was.

Patrick squeezed her hand and smiled at his cousin and best friend.



*****



“Ma, how are you?” Michael asked as he entered the familiar house that his mother and Carl shared.

“I’m fine, sweetheart. How are you and Ben?”

“Is your back giving you any problems?” Michael asked ignoring her attempt to redirect the conversation.

“Just an occasional twinge. Almost as good as new,” Debbie said cheerfully.

“Ma, I want you to take it easy. I’ve been telling you that for years.”

“I know, but I need to feel useful.”

“You said you were going to retire,” Michael jumped in quickly. “I’m not letting you back out of that promise.”

“It wasn’t a promise,” Debbie said screwing up her face with distaste. “I merely said that Carl and I were thinking about it.”

“You said you were going to do it,” Michael insisted.

“I … we … Carl and I … we have to make some decisions.”

“They’re already made. You’re retiring.”

“But the boys of Liberty need me,” Debbie protested.

“And I need you, Ma,” Michael told her gently. “I need you around … and healthy. It’s time to give up working at the diner.”

“I know,” Debbie sighed. “My back aches all the time, and it isn’t just from my fall.”

“It’s from carrying all those heavy trays all those years,” Michael reminded her.

Debbie nodded, knowing he was right. “But what about the street kids and the gay boiz whose parents kick them out? They need someone to look out for them.”

“You can still help them,” Michael said. “I was talking to Hunter, and they could use volunteers at the clinic. You could help them over there.”

Debbie looked thoughtful. “Yeah, I guess I could. And I need to get our PFLAG group mobilized. I want you and Ben to be able to marry … legally, before I die.”

“Don’t talk about dying, Ma. You’ve got a lot of good years ahead of you yet.”

“Yeah, I do,” Debbie replied, suddenly sounding a lot more positive than she had a minute ago. “And I have a lot to do.”

“And you’ll do it … after you and Carl have that long vacation that you’re both entitled to,” Michael said.

Debbie gave her son a big hug and whispered in his ear, “I love you, Michael, and I know you’re right. It’s just hard to let go of everything I’ve done all my fucking life.”

“Just think of it as a new phase of your life, where you can do all the things you want to do without having to work your fingers to the bone to make ends meet.”

Debbie released her son from the hug and looked into his eyes. “I lived so much of my life that way that I don’t really know anything else,” she admitted.

“Then maybe it’s time you did.”

“Yeah,” she agreed. “Maybe it is time.”

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 6





“Hey big bro, top of the mornin’ to ya?” Brian greeted his brother who was stretching his legs in the sun porch. “I come bearing tea.”

“Thank you,” John said as he gratefully accepted the steaming brew and the kiss to his cheek.

It was the Monday following John’s surgery. His appetite finally returned; however, his abdomen was still very bloated and while he was hungry, nothing was very appetizing at the moment.

“Where’s your harem?” Brian asked referring to Claire, Rachel and Emily who had buzzed around John since he came home from the hospital.

“They’ve been dismissed, all with excellent references and explicit instructions to stay away from me for at least a week. Brian, I love them, I really do and I appreciate all they did but I’m not sick, just a little weak. I swore to them that I wouldn’t lift anything heavier than my toothbrush. So the ladies are cutting me some slack, for now. Rachel warned me she’ll be dropping in from time to time and reporting back to mom and Emily.”

“Man, you are so whipped!” Brian teased. John shrugged, not bothering to deny it. “Have you eaten?”

John shook his head.

“The kids are off today. We’re all home, so I thought I’d do brunch. Do you think you could manage some eggs and toast?”

“Yeah, that sounds good.”

“Then make yourself comfortable and...”

“Helll-oooo!” Emmett called out from somewhere near Brian’s front door. The families on the lane all had copies of each other’s keys for emergencies. Or not. Emmett never hesitated to use his.

“Oh for fuck’s sake,” Brian grumbled.

“Hey, be grateful he stayed away for this long,” John mentioned. Emmett was fully aware that the ladies in John’s life had intentions of ‘helping’ during his initial recovery. Emmett was also aware of when they had been dismissed.

“Aren’t there laws regarding breaking and entering,” Brian groused.

“Only if one does it without a key,” Emmett countered cheerfully waving his key as he shoved a basket of goodies in Brian’s hands then gingerly gave John a hug. “How are you feeling?”

“A little better each day.”

“Good to hear, honey. Now both of you sit and relax and let your fairy godmother handle everything!”

The brothers, Kinney shrugged, unable to argue with their friend. They sat back as Emmett took over the meals and mothering for the day.



*****



“Hi, Michael.”

“Hey, Boy Wonder, are you here to work on more Rage cartoons?”

“Um, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about,” Justin said pensively.

“I can’t believe we’re already into the third printing of the Diversity issue and we’re receiving orders for extra DVDs. I’ve been getting calls from LGBT and PFLAG groups across the country ordering the DVD to present at their meetings.”

“Yes, um, Sidney’s been contacted too.”

“And even some public schools are calling. Are you and the twins going to work on an adult cartoon soon?”

“No.”

“NO?! Why not?”

“Uh, just for the reasons you’ve said.”

“What do you mean? Justin, I don’t understand. You said you guys wanted to animate some of our comics. The timing is right. Our sales are going through the roof. I can’t keep enough of them in the store. Practically every distributor is calling me asking for more!” Michael’s voice was getting higher and higher the more excited he got.

“Michael, I’ve just come from PIFA. They asked to meet with me and I had Bobby come along with me.”

“Why did you need a lawyer to talk to PIFA?”

“They requested that we don’t make adult versions of Rage until the Donahue boys and Lacy graduate.”

“But...”

“I know. Lacy will be finished soon but the boys, they’re sophomores. We have at least two more years before they graduate.”

“I hope you and Bobby told them where to stick it.”

“No, we didn’t.”

“You WHAT!”

“Listen, Michael. While the Institute has learned a lot more tolerance since I went there,” Justin tried to explain to his irate business partner. There were still those at PIFA that remembered Justin’s involvement in Stockwell’s campaign and that Justin refused to back down on his position. “The Institute has policies on decency. The kids have to be careful or they could be suspended or expelled.”

“This coming from the man who had JT sucking off Rage on the front cover of our second issue,” Michael snarked.

“But that was me. I was responsible for only me. Now we’re responsible for those kids.”

“Lacy is not a kid.”

“No, she’s not, but she is a student at the Institute and therefore subject to their rules. Do you want her to be suspended? You know how long it took for her to become the woman she is now. Do you want to be responsible for damaging her confidence?”

“Of course not.”

“Then we wait for them to graduate. And we continue to produce ‘G’ rated DVDs. As you said, there are a lot of organizations who are looking for something on Diversity.”

“So what, now you want Rage and JT to have a baby?”

“Why not? Or maybe Sateeena and Kitty have one or Zephyr. What difference does it make? There’s a need out there waiting to be acknowledged and filled.”

“Justin, what the fuck are you talking about?”

“Who’s buying Rage?”

“Gay kids.”

“And?”

“And the customers who were with us from the beginning.”

“How old are those customers?”

“How the fuck should I know?”

“Michael, think about it, they’re our age. Well, anywhere in between. The point is that they’re aging just like us. They have families just like us. You know as well as I do that you would not be showing Rage to JR anymore than I would give a copy to Bree. But they’ve both watched the Diversity DVD and have the comic that goes with it. Bree even brought it to school for Show and Tell. Now do you see where I’m going with this?”

“I think so.”

“Michael, talk to Ben about it, talk to Brian or Mel. Talk to Debbie! Get their opinion. We don’t have to do anything about it just yet. And the guys already have an idea for a sequel to Diversity.”

“Yeah?”

“Something about adoption. I think they were inspired by Curtis.”

“Oh. Justin, I’m not ready to give up on Rage.”

“Neither am I and that’s why you have Lacy. She’ll keep Rage on the cutting edge. But we’ve grown up, Michael. And so has Rage.”

“I guess he has.”

“You say it as if it’s a bad thing.”

“No, it’s just sometimes I wish Rage never grew up.” Justin realized Michael wasn’t speaking entirely about their comic hero.

“Michael, even Peter Pan grew up. But you know there’ll always be a little part of Rage that will never grow up. He’ll always be snarky, devious, protect Gayopolis one fuck at a time, sexy as all hell and looking to get his dick sucked,” Justin said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Yeah, you really think so?” Michael’s forlorn look suddenly transformed into a bright expression.

“Yeah, I know so.”

“Okay. I can get with the program. I was kinda proud when I got a call from my old elementary school. One of my old teachers became the principal there. She wants a copy of Diversity to show the students at assembly. She even contacted Ma to tell her how proud she was that I turned out so well.”

“See, Michael, Rage will turn out to be important for so many reasons. And to a new generation.”

The friends and business partners parted ways with a better understanding of Rage and of themselves.



*****



“Morning, Miss Jennifer,” Emmett said as Jennifer walked into Emmett’s Place.

“Morning,” Jennifer smiled.

“Ready to make some decisions?”

“I guess so. I wish I had a clearer understanding of what I want for the wedding,” Jennifer sighed as she slid into Emmett’s booth.

“That’s my job,” Emmett said confidently. “We’ll talk and you’ll tell me things and then I’ll know exactly what to do.”

“If only it was that simple.”

“It is, sweetie,” Emmett told her. “Now, let’s have some coffee and a…” Emmett didn’t finish that sentence waiting for Jennifer to tell him what she would like to eat.

“Oh, one of those horribly sinful popovers,” she sighed. “I’ll never be able to get into a decent wedding dress.”

“That’s something else we should discuss,” Emmett said setting the tray of coffee and popovers on the table. He slid into the booth beside Jennifer. “What do you have in mind for your wedding dress?”

Jennifer let out another big sigh. “I don’t know,” she said. “I keep changing my mind.”

“Okay, have a popover and I’ll play twenty questions with you.”

Jennifer took a bite of the popover. “Oh fuck, these are good,” she said. “And I quote my son-in-law on that.”

Emmett giggled. “He does love my popovers.” Emmett sat with a goofy look on his face for a minute. “Ahem,” he finally said clearing his throat, “so what color do you want?”

“Your popovers come in colors?” Jennifer asked munching on her second tasty treat. They were so light and airy that they seemed to melt in her mouth.

“No, silly, your wedding gown.”

“Oh, sorry,” Jennifer laughed. “These things make me lose my train of thought. The only thing I know for sure is that I don’t want a white dress. That would be beyond tacky for someone my age.”

“Not anymore, sweetie,” Emmett informed her. “Nowadays women get married in whatever the fuck color they want.”

“Well, I’m still rather old fashioned,” Jennifer said. “Having been married once already, I think white would be totally inappropriate.”

“I actually agree with you,” Emmett said confidentially. “But I have to be careful about what I say to my clients.”

“Yeah, I suppose you would.”

“So how about ivory or a creamy beige?”

“Hm, maybe.”

“Or a pale rose, like one of the flowers in Brian’s garden?”

“Oh,” Jennifer said in surprise, “I hadn’t thought of color.”

“You look lovely in pink,” Emmett said.

“Do I?” Jennifer asked coyly.

“Yes, Miss Jennifer, although you look lovely in almost anything you wear.”

“Or in nothing at all, if you can believe Seth Harris.” Jennifer blushed mightily at her own words.

“My, my, my,” Emmett cooed. “You are a caution, Miss Jennifer.”

“I do like the sound of pink. Do you think we could find something in that color?”

Emmett nodded. “I’ll make some calls and see what I can line up. Are we going long or short with the dress?”

“Oh my, so many decisions to make.”

“If I might suggest…”

“Certainly.”

“Since the wedding will be in spring and we’re going with pink, how about short and flirty, but also elegant?”

“Do they make such a thing?”

“I can certainly find out.”

“Okay,” Jennifer said.

“Let’s look at some wedding cakes and the menu.”

“Shouldn’t I bring Seth to help make these decisions?” Jennifer asked with a frown.

“Has he chosen what he’s wearing?” Emmett asked pointedly.

Jennifer chuckled. “At the moment he’s waffling between buying a new suit and using one he already has. He has his moments of frugality.”

“Don’t we all, but send him to me if he chooses the suit he already owns. That is just so wrong. I’ll give him my ‘once in a lifetime event requires new suit’ lecture,” Emmett explained.

“You got a deal on that one,” Jennifer said.

“So, my point was that men do not care what the wedding looks like. They just want it to be over, the woman they’re marrying to be happy and the honeymoon to begin.”

“Emmett Honeycutt!”

“What? That’s the truth.”

“You’re supposed to be a romantic,” Jennifer replied.

“I am a romantic, and I’m also gay. Most men are not gay and therefore, are no romantic.”

“Seth is romantic,” Jennifer said with a frown. “Sometimes.”

“Then consider yourself lucky, sweetie. Most men are only as romantic as it takes to get a woman into their bed.”

“I’m already there,” Jennifer laughed.

“And he still shows you romantic gestures?” Jennifer nodded. “Then you’ve got a live one,” Emmett chuckled. “Hang onto him.”

“I intend to.”

“Good girl.”

“I guess you’re telling me that I should make all these decisions myself, and that Seth will be fine with them. In fact, he would probably prefer that I make the decisions.”

Emmett nodded. “That’s what I’m saying.”

“Okay, let’s do it,” Jennifer said decisively. She suddenly felt much better. All the worry and indecision started to fall away as she chose the menu she knew both she and Seth and their guests would like. She looked at sample bouquets, but decided she’d really like to have some of the flowers from Brian’s garden. Emmett assured her that he had someone who could make her a beautiful bouquet using those flowers. They looked at table linens and decorations for the sun porch. Then she had to decide between chairs, covered or bare, for the guests to sit on. The list of things to decide went on and on.

An hour passed and Jennifer heaved a sigh of relief, as Emmett shut his notebook that held all his jottings on Jennifer’s preferences.

“Time for another coffee and a popover,” Emmett said.

“I shouldn’t have another one,” Jennifer said wistfully.

“I see Sean pulling a fresh batch out of the oven,” Emmett observed. “Don’t tell me you can pass those up.”

“You are truly evil, Emmett Honeycutt,” Jennifer sighed. “Bring me one … but only one.”

“Your wish is my command, fair maiden,” Emmett said as he slid out of the booth.

Jennifer sat thinking about making all the choices she had just told Emmett. She reached into her purse and pulled out her cell phone. She hit number one and waited.

“Seth Harris,” the voice replied.

“Hello, Mr. Harris, this is the future Mrs. Harris, calling you from Emmett’s to tell you that I have spent the last hour making all kinds of decisions about our wedding. I just wondered if you would like to come over here, have some lunch with me and verify that you agree with what I’ve done.”

“I’d love to have lunch with you, darling, but I’m sure whatever choices you made will be exactly right.”

“How could you know that?”

“Because you’re my fiancée and it’s your wedding and you have good taste and…”

“And you don’t really care?”

“And I don’t really care,” Seth laughed. That was one of the things Seth loved about Jennifer. She could get to the point like no other woman he had ever met. He added, “I want whatever makes you happy.”

“Emmett was so right,” Jennifer chuckled.

“Right about what?” Seth asked.

“Everything.”

“Care to explain?”

“I’ll tell you later. Oh, and Seth, Emmett says you should definitely get a new suit for the wedding. He’ll go with you if you want.”

“I am perfectly capable of picking out a suit.”

“I know but…”

“But you think I might conveniently forget to do so. Emmett will make sure I do.”

“Precisely.”

Seth laughed. “Do you still want to do lunch?”

Jennifer sighed. “Emmett has been stuffing me with popovers. I’m not really hungry.”

“You’re eating popovers without me?” Seth asked in horror.

“’Fraid so, and they’re delicious too.” Jennifer took a bite out of the fresh one that Emmett had just set in front of her.

“Treachery!”

Jennifer laughed. “You could have had your fill if you had come with me.”

“Buy me one to bring home,” Seth asked.

“For you, sweetheart, two!”

“That’s my girl. I’ll see you at home. I love you.”

“I love you right back.” Jennifer snapped her phone shut with a satisfied look on her face.

“Was I right?” Emmett asked with a smirk worthy of Brian Kinney.

“One hundred percent. I think he was relieved that we’d made all the decisions. “Oh, and he’s getting a new suit. He’ll call you.” Emmett laughed. “And I need two popovers to go.”

“His reward for being so good about everything.”

“Yes, and then he’ll get his real reward later tonight,” Jennifer said suggestively.

“Lucky man!”

“You got that right,” Jennifer said. “And I’m one lucky woman too.”

Emmett couldn’t help but smile at the lovely woman who seemed finally to have all the happiness she deserved.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 7





“Do you want to know what it is?” Molly’s obstetrician asked.

“No!” Molly said.

“Yes!” Owen said simultaneously.

“Which is it?” Dr. Solomon asked the couple.

“No,” Owen acquiesced. “If Mol doesn’t want to know then I don’t either,” Owen said, clearly making the sacrifice for his wife.

“Owen, I really don’t care what sex the baby is as long as it’s healthy,” Molly stated.

Owen smiled softly. Yes, he wanted to know but he wanted Molly’s happiness more. “I can wait.”

“Thank you,” Molly said. Her eyes sparkled with unshed tears of joy.

“Would you like to hear the heartbeat?” the doctor asked as she rolled the ultrasound instrument over Molly’s swollen belly.

“Yes!” Molly and Owen said.

The doctor adjusted the volume, added a little more gel to Molly’s abdomen then zeroed in on the right spot. The speakers vibrated with the sound of their unborn child’s strong heartbeat.

“Oh!” Molly gasped as she squeezed her husband’s hand then burst into tears.

The doctor let them listen for a few more seconds then turned off the machine. She gently cleaned off Molly’s belly, handed Owen a box of tissues then left the overjoyed parents-to-be alone to celebrate the sounds of life privately.



*****



“Brian,” Jennifer said the minute Brian answered his cell phone.

“Mother Taylor, to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Do I need an excuse to speak with my first son-in-law?”

“Am I still your favorite son-in-law?” Brian snarked.

“You’re my pain in the ass, son-in-law.”

“I can live up to that. What’s up?”

“It appears that Emmett and I have come to a meeting of the minds regarding my wedding. At least regarding my dress, the flowers and the menu.”

“Sounds like you have it all under control.”

“I guess so.”

“I’m sensing doubt. You’re not having second thoughts are you? Seth is a wonderful man, for a het. And he loves you.”

“Yes, he does and I love him. I didn’t think I could ever be this happy again, not since...”

“Don’t,” Brian barked then immediately regretted his anger. He took a deep breath. “Jennifer, we’ve both lived through a lifetime of pain, disappointment and stupidity. But that was a long time ago. We’re both different people now. You have a good man in Seth and I...”

“You have a good man too, and so does my son. You deserve your happiness.”

“Jenn, what is it?”

“The wedding, I’ve decided to make it as intimate as possible. Seth has little family, just his brother. I want this wedding to just be our family.”

“We’ll do whatever you want, however you want it.”

“Really?”

“Really, whatever you want. You want it small and intimate, then we’ll do it small and intimate. You want me to have John build a pavilion, then I’ll do it!”

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” Jenn chuckled.

“I’m serious. You gave me the most precious thing of my entire life, it’s the least I can do,” Brian said, his voice cracking, unable to keep up the great Kinney wall.

“I love you, Brian Kinney,” Jennifer whispered, tears of pride and joy slipping down her face. Jennifer was glad she was having this conversation on the phone with Brian and not in person. She hated the notion of runny mascara and a red puffy nose.

“I love you too, Mother Taylor.” Brian paused to get himself under control before he continued. “Let me check with the brat, but why don’t you, Seth and the party fairy come over this weekend? We can go over your plans.”

Jennifer blew her nose before answering. “Sounds good to me. I’ll call Seth and Emmett.”

“Emmy Lou will probably be up here anyway. He and his jock take long weekends during the off season.”

“I’ll confirm then call you later.”

“Very good. By the way, when is Molly due?”

“Not until some time in May. Why?”

“I don’t want to be birthing no babies in the middle of the wedding!”

Jennifer laughed. “There’s little chance of that. We’ll have almost a month before she’s due.”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m sure.”

“Okay. Later, Mother Taylor!”

“Later, Brian. And Brian...”

“Yes, Jennifer?”

“You are my favorite son-in-law,” Jenn whispered into her phone.

“I knew it, you so love me!”

Brian and Jennifer laughed heartily as they cut the connection.



*****



“Mom, I need to go the library,” Gus said as he arrived home from school.

“So go,” Lindsay replied.

“I … um … I was wondering if you could go with me and I could drive.”

“Oh?”

“I don’t get to practice much since I got my license. I know I’m not supposed to drive alone. So, could you go with me?”

“I think that might be arranged, lambskin,” Lindsay said with a smile.

“Great! Can we go now?”

“Isn’t there something you’ve forgotten?”

Gus frowned. “What?”

“Your sister.”

“Oh, her! Do we have to wait till she gets home?”

“I think that would be advisable. She can come with us.”

“But I get to drive, right?” Gus asked. That was the whole point of this exercise.

“Yes, Gus.”

“When will she be here?”

“Any minute. You know how long it takes to walk from her school.”

“But what if she stops off at one of her friends’ places?”

“Then we wait.”

“Mom!”

“I’m not leaving here until JR comes home and that’s all there is to it.”

“Maybe I can walk down the street to meet her and hurry her along.”

“That would be nice,” Lindsay smiled.

“Okay, I’m gone, but I’ll be right back and then I get to drive.”

“Yes, Gus.”

Gus raced out the front door and down the street. When he turned the corner he saw JR standing on the sidewalk about halfway down the block. She was talking to some girl.

“JR,” Gus yelled. “Come on home.”

“Why?” JR called turning to look down the street at her brother. She didn’t budge.

“Because I need to go to the library and Mom won’t go without you.”

“You just want to drive. I’m busy.”

“Don’t be such a fucking brat!” Gus yelled. He was just about at the end of his rope with all the women in his life.

“I’m not a brat, and stop yelling at me in the street.”

“Then come on home.”

“Oh, for fuck sake,” JR griped as she said goodbye to her friend. She ambled towards Gus.

“Hurry up,” Gus urged her as she drew near.

“I’m not your slave. I don’t have to do what you tell me,” JR retorted.

“Why are you being so mean?”

“Because I don’t like being bossed around,” JR said softly. “I was just talking to Janie.”

“I … I didn’t mean to boss you,” Gus apologized. The two siblings started walking towards their house.

JR kicked a stone that was on the sidewalk and stared down at the ground. She didn’t say anything.

“Are you going to accept my apology? I don’t like fighting with you.” JR remained silent. “I didn’t do anything that bad, did I?”

JR let out a big sigh. “No, I guess not. It’s just that…”

“What?” Gus prompted.

“Since you got your license, it’s like you’re a different person … a grownup.”

“You think I’m a grownup?”

“Seems that way.”

“But that’s a good thing,” Gus replied.

“Not when I’m still a kid and you boss me around.”

They were approaching the house. Gus stopped and so did JR. He felt like they needed to finish this discussion before they went into the house.

“JR, I can’t help that I’m older than you, but I like having you as a sister. You were great when I had all that trouble with … Cole.”

“Thanks,” JR said looking up into Gus’ eyes. “I liked when you’d talk to me about what you were feeling. You don’t do that anymore.”

“Don’t I?” JR shook her head. “Then I’ll try to make sure I do from now on.”

“Okay,” JR said happily. “Can I count on that?”

“Sure, but…”

“But what?”

“You realize I’m going to be talking about cars and college and then more cars and more college and after that more cars and…”

“Stop,” JR laughed. “I get the point.”

“Good.”

“But you will talk to me seriously sometimes?”

“I promise, when the occasion arises.”

“Then let’s get going before the library closes and you miss your chance to drive,” JR giggled before she ran into the house.

Gus shook his head and followed her.



*****



Debbie pushed open the door of the Liberty Diner. She was there to clean out her locker finally and make sure all the work schedules were up to date. There would be no more heavy trays for her to carry or long hours on her feet. God, she was old!

The thought hit her like a ton of bricks. She didn’t want to be old, didn’t even want to think about it. If it hadn’t been for that fucking French fry that she slipped on, none of this would be happening. She could be working as a waitress like she’d always done. Why the fuck did she have to injure herself?

“Hi, Deb,” Lacy said as she came out of the back carrying a tray of food. “Grab a booth. I have something I’d like to talk to you about.”

“Sure,” Debbie said uncertainly. She wasn’t sure what was up, but it couldn’t be anything good.

Debbie poured herself a coffee and carried it over to an empty booth at the back of the diner. Lacy finished delivering her orders and joined her in the booth with a glass of soda in hand.

“How’s it going, kid?” Debbie asked.

“Pretty good. How are you doing? Your back, is it okay?”

“Getting better every day. What did you want to talk about?”

“I’m going to be graduating from PIFA in a couple of months.”

“Fuck, already? It seems like just yesterday that you were applying.”

“I know,” Lacy said with a smile. “And I owe you big time for so many of the good things that have happened in my life.”

“And you deserved every one of them,” Debbie said patting Lacy’s hand affectionately.

“Thanks,” the girl smiled. “I really appreciate that you let me stay with you and that you encouraged me and helped me hook up with Justin. My life is so different from what it might have been.”

“Don’t go there,” Debbie cautioned. “Be grateful for what you have, and forget about the bad things from the past.”

“And I guess that’s what I need to talk to you about.”

“Okay, shoot.”

“I have a tentative offer to draw and color a major comic,” Lacy said shyly.

“Fuck! Which one?”

“Green Lantern,” Lacy said.

“Is that thing still around?”

“Yeah, but I’m not sure I want to do it.”

“Why the fuck not? It sounds like a great job opportunity.”

“I guess it is … in a way. They want me to come to L.A. to work,” Lacy added, finally getting to the crux of the matter.

“And you don’t want to leave Katerina.”

“That’s a big part of it, but it would also be someone else’s work that I’m taking over. I love Rage and my own character of Sateeena.”

“And…?” Debbie asked sensing there was more.

“And it’s old fashioned. I like doing cutting edge stuff, like what we’re doing with Rage.”

“But it’s a big opportunity, isn’t it?” Debbie asked.

“Yes, and if it was Wonder Woman I might consider it. I just don’t think I want to do the Green Lantern.”

“Okay, so if you turn it down, what does that mean?” Debbie asked, prodding Lacy to examine her options.

“That’s why I wanted to talk to you.”

“Okay, what are you cooking up?”

Lacy giggled. “You know me too well. I have been putting out some feelers about freelancing, and I think I can get a partial income from that, but it’s not very reliable.” Debbie nodded and waited. “I want to continue Rage. Michael and I make a nice penny from that.”

“And…?”

“I want to make my own comic someday. Maybe Sateeena could have her own comic, or something else. I’m not sure.”

“And you want to stay here with Katerina?”

“Right.”

“So, where do I come into all this?”

“If you’re going to be traveling…”

“Who the fuck told you that?”

“A little bird…”

“Named Michael Novotny.”

“Yes,” Lacy grinned. “I was wondering if I might manage this place while you’re away. It would give me a steady income, and I could still waitress if I’m needed.”

“Say no more!” Debbie ordered. “That’s the best news I’ve heard all day. You would make a great manager. In fact, that’s what you’ve fucking been doing since my accident.”

“You mean you like the idea?”

“Hell yes!”

“Oh, Deb, that’s great. Thank you so much.” Lacy gave Debbie a big hug. “I better see to my customers.”

Debbie watched Lacy hustle around the diner filling coffee cups and clearing tables. That girl reminded Debbie of herself. She never shirked and nobody worked harder. Debbie sighed. She better go get her things from the locker. It looked like she was definitely going to be traveling.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 8





“I’m in the office, Brian!” Carl called out when he saw Brian on the catwalk of Babylon. Brian had come to the infamous club to confer with Carl regarding his retirement. It was sometime in February. Debbie had turned over the reins of the diner to Lacy, but made herself available, just in case. Now, it was Carl’s turn and Brian was experiencing some separation issues.

“So you’re really going to leave me, leave all of this,” Brian said as he waved his hand toward the dance floor, “to travel and spend 24/7 with Debbie!” Carl’s expression immediately changed from a look of amusement to horror.

“See, I was right, you haven’t thoroughly thought this through. Think, Carl, 24 hours a day with that crazy woman. Knowing her, you’ll be eating at every diner and truck stop from here to Tacoma. You really don’t want to do that, now do you? Give the woman some traveling money. I’ll even buy her a new set of luggage. We throw her on a plane and then it’s business as usual,” Brian said with a straight face.

Carl glared at Brian. “You know, you have some fucking set of balls,” Carl growled.

“Thank you,” Brian said proudly. Carl burst out laughing.

“I’m getting too old for this, Brian. It’s time. Please don’t think I don’t appreciate all you’ve done for me and Debbie. She never really had to keep working, you know. She just did it because she loved it and those kids on Liberty. Between my pension and the salary you pay me to run this place, she should have been home with her feet up. Not carrying heavy trays and sweating in that place. But she is the stubbornest... Well, you know Deb.”

“Yeah. So I guess I can’t change your mind then?”

“No, I guess you can’t.”

“You said you have an idea regarding who should take over. Carl, you can never be replaced.”

“Thank you, Brian. I really mean that. I always thought of myself as just an average schmo. I was just a cop. Then you gave me this opportunity and for ten years I’ve been running this place and I joined the Pittsburgh Business Society. Me, a retired cop, and I have store owners and managers coming to me for advice! I never dreamed I could do something like this. And I owe it all to you.”

“Carl, I just want you to know that I’m working something out with Ted. You’ll have a pension from Babylon. I know Debbie wasn’t covered under your health insurance from the force but she’ll continue to be covered from us. You’ll both be taken care of. I...” Brian was having trouble keeping his emotions in check. He turned his back on the man he respected and loved.

“Fuck, I must be going through the change, everything sets me off lately,” Brian groused, angry at himself for losing control. Carl patted Brian on the back then waited, standing quietly beside him.

“Now, tell me your idea,” Brian turned abruptly, all business and again in control.



*****



“Sunshine, you’re not planning on leaving me anytime soon, are you?” Brian asked his mate. He sounded extremely pitiful.

They were in the sun porch. Brian was reading the Sunday newspaper while Justin was sketching. John and Bobby had bundled up the kids to go visit Grandma Claire and Grandpa Steve. Brian had suddenly thought back on his conversation with Carl and began feeling sorry for himself.

“Of course not, and what the fuck brought this on?” Justin stopped his sketching to snuggle up to Brian who was sitting on the chaise. He took the afghan that was draped across the back of the chaise to cover them both.

“I don’t know,” Brian mumbled.

Justin cupped Brian’s chin in his hand. “Yes you do.”

“Gus is driving, and Debbie and Carl are going to throw a dart in a map then drive to where it lands. They’re all leaving me. Soon the Squirt is gonna get married, have babies and leave me too. And, FUCK! I sound like a bitter old man.”

Justin chuckled then kissed Brian senseless.

“No, you don’t. You sound like a man whose family is changing. They’re not abandoning you, Brian, just growing and moving on.”

“I’m not ready.”

“I know. Bri, my baby sister, my annoying the shit out of me when we were growing up baby sister, is going to have a baby! My mother is getting remarried. The woman who gave me a home when I had none, is going globetrotting. And while I’m thinking about it, let’s forbid Briana to grow up,” Justin said as he kissed Brian’s nose, making Brian smile in spite of his misery.

“I’m being stupid, aren’t I?”

“Not at all, big guy.”

Justin began to butterfly tender kisses across Brian’s face until he landed onto Brian’s lips. Brian opened his mouth to Justin who began to suck on Brian’s tongue. The lovers moaned, needing more, wanting skin on skin contact.

“Let’s take this to bed, Sunshine.”

“Mmm.”

The lovers abandoned the chaise for the comfort and privacy of their room. They made love for most of the afternoon.

“I love you, Justin,” Brian murmured as he curled his long frame around the man he adored.

“I’ll never leave you, Brian,” Justin reaffirmed, hugging Brian tightly. “Never.”



*****



About a month before the wedding Brian had brought his brood into Pittsburgh to do some shopping and have final fittings for their suits. Briana loved her Gamma’s pink wedding dress and just as with Molly’s wedding, the flowergirl to be, selected another pink dress. Bree was also having her final fitting.

“Kinney,” Brian said into his cell phone as he sat watching Bree twirling. She then took off so she could see if her ‘train’ was long enough to flow. Justin and the tailor were chasing her through the store.

“Brian, sweetheart, is there something you want to tell me?”

“I don’t know, Maw, is there?”

“Honey, do you know anything about this ‘boat’ that we found parked in front of our house this morning? The keys and the owner’s manual were inside our door.”

“Boat? Damn! I distinctly remembered ordering a Winnebago.”

“Brian!” Debbie roared into her phone.

“Happy retirement, Maw. Now, remember to use the good gas and no long trips until after the wedding. I want regular phone calls to let me know you’re both all right, and no tricks after midnight.”

“Asshole!”

“I love you, Maw. Later!” Brian cut the connection as Debbie cursed him every which way till Sunday. A minute later, Brian’s phone rang again.

“Kinney.”

“I love you too, kiddo. Thank you.”

“Thank you, Maw.” Brian closed his phone as Bree ran into his arms.

“You like my dress, Dada?”

“Very much.”

“I am pretty?” Bree asked, her little cheeks flushed pink from running, her violet blue eyes, sparkling.

“You’re beautiful, just like your Daddy,” Brian said as Justin sprinted up to them with an irate tailor in tow. “As beautiful as your Daddy,” Brian repeated as he scooped up his daughter then hugged her closely to Justin. "I so love you," Brian whispered to his blonds.



*****



“Jennifer, is that you?”

“Oh hello, Madge, I haven’t seen you in ages.” Madge Wilkinson used to live down the street from Jennifer when she was with Craig.

“Not since your engagement party.”

“Yes, I guess that was the last time.” Jennifer was shopping in one of her favorite clothing boutiques, looking for some new clothes for her honeymoon.

“I’ve been expecting an invitation to the wedding ever since the party.”

“Really?”

“You and that lovely man didn’t break up. Did you?”

“No, Seth and I are still together.”

“What about the wedding, or are you two going to live in sin,” Madge laughed.

“I guess we’re living in sin,” Jennifer said with a wan smile. She hated saying that. She certainly didn’t consider her relationship with Seth sinful. In fact, it was the most perfect thing she could imagine. But she wasn’t sure she wanted to mention the wedding, since Madge seemed to expect an invitation. Jennifer wasn’t intending to invite any of her old neighbors.

“Oh, I was just teasing, dear. I thought you and Seth made a lovely couple. I thought you would have been married by now.”

“Actually, we’re getting married in about a month, but it will be a small ceremony,” Jennifer added hoping that would stop Madge from hinting that she wanted to come.

“Oh, I hope that doesn’t mean I won’t get an invitation,” Madge said pointedly. “I would love to be there on your big day.”

“Well, thank you for saying that, but it is a second marriage.”

“Hell, some of the women in our group are on their third or fourth.”

“Oh really? I can’t say that I’ve much kept up with the goings-on in the old neighborhood.”

“Well, a bunch of us girls were playing bridge the other day, and we were wondering where things stood with you and Seth. We like to keep on top of things, you know,” Madge said smiling sweetly.

‘More like having your nose into everything,’ Jennifer thought. “Well, as I said it will be a small ceremony.”

“I’ll expect an invitation,” Madge said. “Gotta run.” She dashed out of the store.

Jennifer frowned. She had not intended to invite any of the people from her old neighborhood, but since she had invited them all to her engagement party… She supposed it was only natural that they might expect an invitation to the wedding. Fuck! How did she get herself into these things?

She walked out of the shop not having bought anything. On the sidewalk she stopped and pulled out her cell phone. She dialed a number.

“Brian, I need to talk to you and Justin.”

“What about?” Brian asked.

“I’m coming to the cottage this afternoon.”

“What is this all about?”

“You remember that pavilion that you offered to build for my wedding…”



*****



That afternoon Seth’s car pulled up to the front of Edna’s Treasures. Justin opened the front door to welcome his mother and her fiancé. Brian and Emmett had coffee and treats all laid out for them. Justin ushered the couple through the house to the sun porch.

“Oh Emmett, I’m glad you could be here. I just don’t know what to do,” Jennifer said with a weary sigh.

“I’m at your disposal, lovely lady, and kind sir. Tell me what the problem is and we’ll see if we can solve it for you,” Emmett told her, trying to be reassuring.

Brian shook Seth’s hand and kissed Jennifer’s cheek. They all sat down with a cup of coffee and a popover, which Emmett had very thoughtfully brought from Pittsburgh with him.

“I hope you can calm her down,” Seth said looking at Justin. “She’s going to make herself ill with all this worrying.”

“What the fuck happened?” Brian asked. Up until the rather frantic call from Jennifer earlier in the day, everything had seemed to be just fine.

“I don’t know,” Jennifer sighed. “I thought I had it all figured out and then this morning I met Madge.”

“Who the fuck is Madge?”

“Madge Wilkinson from down the street?” Justin asked. Jennifer nodded. “She’s the biggest busybody from our old neighborhood,” he supplied.

“So what did the lovely Madge do?” Emmett asked.

Jennifer looked at Seth who nodded and squeezed her hand indicating she should tell them. Taking a deep breath, Jennifer began, “I met Madge at a boutique this morning. She wanted to know when the wedding was. I told her in about a month, and that I was having a small ceremony. She said the old neighbors had been talking about us, Seth and me, at their recent bridge game. She asked if we had already got married or had Seth and I broken up or were we living in sin.” Jennifer paused to breathe. It seemed like all that had come out in one breath.

“I hope you told her to go fuck herself,” Brian said before biting off a piece of popover.

“I don’t have quite your way with words, Brian,” Jennifer replied.

“What did you say to her, Mom?”

“I’m ashamed to say that I told her we were living in sin, but we were getting married soon,” Jennifer said looking worriedly at Seth.

“We are not living in sin,” Seth stated. “We’re living in love.”

“Oh, Seth, that’s why I love you so much,” Jennifer said staring at her husband-to-be with eyes filled with tears. He always knew the right thing to say, and what was more important, he meant it.

“Why the fuck do you care what this Midge person says or thinks?” Brian interjected.

“That’s exactly what I’ve been asking her,” Seth said. “She sounds like an awful woman.”

“She’s not really so bad,” Jennifer said softly. “I think I used to be a lot like her in my old life.”

“You will never make me believe that,” Seth said adamantly.

“You were never as bad as Mrs. Wilkinson,” Justin threw in. Jennifer smiled at her kind son. “Now, will you tell us what all this crap about Madge Wilkinson has to do with your wedding?”

Jennifer sighed. “She got me thinking.”

“Fuck! Women and thinking are never a good combination,” Brian said, earning him a glare from Jennifer and another one from her son.

“Tell us what you’re thinking, sweetie,” Emmett encouraged Jennifer.

“Madge wanted to know if she was getting an invitation to the wedding. She said all the people we invited to the engagement party were looking for invitations.”

“And this Midget person speaks for all of them?” Brian asked pointedly.

“Of course not, Brian. But I did have friends in that community. It got me thinking that maybe I should invite them.”

“Hence, the call about the pavilion,” Brian said sarcastically.

“It was a knee jerk reaction,” Jennifer replied. “But it made me wonder whether I’m doing the right thing keeping the wedding so small.”

“Jennifer,” Emmett said softly, “you’ve told me what you envisioned for your wedding, all the things that would make it perfect. And Madge Wilkinson wasn’t one of them.”

“I know, Emmett, but…”

“There is no fucking but,” Brian interrupted. “I will have a pavilion erected for your wedding if that will make you happy, Jennifer. You know that. But I don’t see inviting all these people from your old neighborhood making you one particle happier. In fact, I see just the opposite.”

Jennifer frowned and studied Brian thinking about what he had just said.

“Jennifer, darling, he’s right,” Seth said gently. “You had the perfect wedding all laid out and then this person has made you doubt yourself. You know what you want, and I don’t give a fuck what Madge thinks about it. And neither should you.”

A smile started to brighten Jennifer’s face. It grew and grew until it rivaled one of Justin’s best. Brian was reminded where Justin must have got his radiant smile from.

“By George! I think she’s got it,” Emmett quipped as he breathed a sigh of relief.

“I love you, Seth Harris,” Jennifer said touching Seth’s cheek.

“And I love you, Jennifer Taylor. I’d marry you in this sun porch or in the woods or we can elope to Las Vegas. I don’t care. I just want you to be happy and I want the day we get married to be the best day of your life.”

“And I don’t need to prove a fucking thing to Madge Wilkinson or any of her so-called friends,” Jennifer said happily.

“So, we don’t need a pavilion?” Brian asked, hoping that was the case. Even though he had promised one to Jennifer, he didn’t have the foggiest idea of how he was going to pull that off if she decided that was what she wanted.

“No, Brian, we do not need a pavilion. We’re going with the small, intimate wedding that we planned, Emmett.” Jennifer flashed her smile at the wedding planner who looked greatly relieved.

“Thank you, Miss Jennifer,” Emmett sighed.

“That will soon be Mrs. Harris,” Seth stated.

“I can hardly wait,” Jennifer gushed.

“Your mother’s something else,” Brian whispered to Justin.

“This is nothing compared to some of the things I remember,” Justin giggled.

“And you won’t tell him any of them,” Jennifer ordered.

“Of course not, Mom.”

“Would you like to walk through the gardens?” Brian asked, changing the subject. “Things are starting to come up.”

“That would be lovely,” Jennifer said standing up. “I feel so much better.”

“Maybe we should have a society reporter cover the wedding,” Emmett said out of the blue. “That way your old friends could enjoy your big day through the Pittsburgh newspapers.”

“Emmett, bite your tongue,” Brian jumped in.

“Oops, sorry, thinking out loud,” Emmett backtracked.

“I like that idea,” Jennifer said. “What about that nice man who did the piece on you and Justin?”

“He’s not a society reporter,” Brian said quickly. “He’s an art critic.”

“You could find someone else, couldn’t you, Emmett?” Seth asked.

“I suppose…” Emmett said starting to wrack his brain.

“Maybe Richard and his wife would do it,” Justin said quickly, seeing Brian’s temper starting to flare. He was probably envisioning Seymour Finkelstein arriving to cover the wedding. “You could talk to Richard, couldn’t you, Brian?”

“I guess so,” Brian said reluctantly, but he understood the viselike grip Justin had on his hand. “Let’s look at the gardens,” he said quickly.

They made their way outside where everyone could see the beginnings of the spring flowers that would be in full force at the time of the wedding. There were appropriate oohs and ahs to mollify Brian.

“A pavilion would have been nice,” Jennifer said looking around. “But we wouldn’t want to have anything detract from the gardens,” she added quickly when she saw the look on Brian’s face.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 9





“Oh hell!” Jennifer cursed as she arose from her bed, wrapping her robe around her to look out the window. It was a week until Jennifer's wedding to Seth and the month of April was living up to its reputation.

“What is it, sweetheart?” Seth asked as he got out of bed.

“April showers,” Jennifer grumbled.

“Ah, but just think how beautiful Brian’s garden will be.”

“But what if it rains on the day of the wedding?”

“What of it?”

“It’s too late for Brian to build that pavilion,” Jennifer deadpanned.

Seth laughed. “If you really want that pavilion, Brian would find a way.”

“Yes, he would,” Jennifer said in a soft, wistful voice. “There was a time when Brian and all he represented terrified me. I had never met anyone like him before, gay or straight. He can be so in your face and mysterious at the same time. He’s impressive and not just for his stunning good looks.”

“Hey!”

“You’re a very handsome man, Seth Harris. I’d love you even if you were purple with green spots. But Brian grew up thinking he wasn’t worthy of love.”

“That’s so sad.”

“Yes, it is.”

“What changed him?”

“Justin. He saw through the facade to what lay beneath. It wasn’t easy, for any of us. Brian can be stubborn.”

“I bet Justin is just as stubborn.”

“More. But when it comes to getting things done, no one surpasses Brian.”

“Like getting Justin to Chicago.”

“Yes.”

“Building you a pavilion if you really wanted one.”

“Yes.”

“And buying a Winnebago for Debbie and Carl!”

“Yes!” Jenn and Seth laughed.

“He’d find a way to chase away the rain if you’d ask him.”

“I believe he would.”

“He’s a very good man. I hope I can live up to his example.”

“You already have,” Jennifer said as she gave Seth a kiss then led him back to bed.



*****



“Hellooo, Emmett Honeycutt’s Event Planning. Emmett speaking, how may I help you?”

“Mr. Honeycutt, my name is Jeremy Sacks. I’m the city editor of the Times.”

“Yes, Mr. Sacks, what can I do for you?”

“I understand your company is handling the Taylor-Harris wedding.”

“That’s correct.”

“Jennifer Taylor is Justin Taylor’s mother, is she not? Her daughter is married into the Kingsley-Brenner family and Seth Harris is a prominent businessman.”

“All true.”

“The Times would like to send a reporter and photographer to cover the event.”

“If this wedding was being held in Pittsburgh, I believe the participants would welcome the Times.”

“I’m sensing a ‘but’.”

“The venue is a private home over an hour away from the city. The homeowners value their privacy.”

“I can guarantee discretion.”

“You don’t know the homeowner.”

“Tell me who he is. I’ll call him, make a personal appeal.”

“Brian Kinney.”

“He invited my reporter to his home!”

“We’ve met. But if I remember correctly, Richard Connolly is your art critic. You want to send someone who writes gossip. That is unacceptable.”

“Get me permission and I’ll send the Connollys.”

“Mr. Sacks, give me time to consult with my clients and I’ll get back to you.”

“I’ll be waiting for your call,” the editor said hopefully then hung up the phone.

Emmett did some fast dialing to conference with the primary players.

“Hellloooo!”

“Hi, Emmett,” Jennifer responded cheerfully from her home.

“Hi, Emm,” Justin said just as cheerfully on his cell phone. He was shopping for art supplies.

“Hello, Emmett,” Seth chimed in. He was wrapping up some last minute details at his office.

“What the fuck do you want now?”

“A little testy, aren’t we, your majesty? Justin, sweetie, you’re not keeping up your end of the bargain.”

“I’m trying, Emm.”

“What bargain, Sunshine?”

“Not now, Brian,” Justin whispered.

“Ah-hem, can we focus, people?” They all murmured their consent. “I just got a call from Jeremy Sacks, the editor for the Times. He wants to cover the wedding for the society section. Even though we’re keeping this intimate, family only, this is an important alliance.”

“You’re making my wedding sound like some sort of detente,” Jennifer snarked.

“Believe it or not, Miss Jennifer, your hand is highly desirable and sought after,” Emmett tried to explain. “And the fact that your hand and the rest of you will be officially off the market in a week is news.”

“So why did it take years, and Brian’s influence, for me to get a date with a respectable and desirable man?”

“Fear,” Brian contributed.

“What?” Jenn, Emm and Justin asked at once.

“Fear and ignorance. Mother Taylor is a beautiful woman. She’s also business savvy and whether she believes it or not, her resilience and independence is intimidating to most men. Present fiancé and past boy toy excepted.”

“But that makes no sense,” Emmett chimed in. “I love Jennifer’s abilities and her way of looking so beautiful without even trying.”

“Oh for fuck’s sake, you’re gay! Of course you love it. Breeder boys have other agendas.”

“Brian’s right,” Seth spoke up. “I almost didn’t pursue you. I didn’t think I was interesting enough for you. I’ve been told that I’m too old fashioned.”

“But that’s what I love the most about you.”

“Before this turns into a lovefest, can you please get to the point, Emmett. Some of us have lives,” Brian growled.

“Sorry, silly me. So the editor wants to cover the wedding. I told him that I’d have to clear it with all of you. He assured me that he’d send the Connollys.”

The attendees of the conference call became very quiet in anticipation of the eruption of Mount Kinney.

“Brian, I’m very honored that the Times thinks my little wedding is newsworthy but I know how you value your privacy. I won’t consent unless you agree.”

“Sunshine, what do you think?”

“It’s my Mom’s wedding.”

“Seth?”

“Whatever makes Jennifer happy.”

“Emm?”

“I think the Connollys will do a fabulous job.”

“Mother Taylor, are you sure I can’t just build you a pavilion instead?”

“No, Brian.”

“All right. The Connollys can come. Just make sure they bring their pj’s.”

“Will do! Meeting adjourned people,” Emmett gushed. He wanted to call back the editor before Brian had a chance to change his mind.

Everyone said their goodbyes then hung up.

“Sunshine?” Brian said quickly before Justin closed his phone.

“Yes, Bri?”

“What bargain?”



*****



“Oh Mom, I look like a whale,” Molly cried in despair.

She and her mother were at the dress shop having their final fittings for their dresses. Molly was very pregnant and feeling huge and bloated.

“You look beautiful, sweetheart,” Jennifer tried to reassure her.

“No I don’t. I look like a hideous, huge whale,” Molly cried.

“Honey, that’s just the hormones talking.”

“Why did you ask me to be your matron of honor? Your pictures are going to look horrible. You’ll have to have me Photo-shopped out,” Molly wailed.

“Don’t be silly, honey,” Jennifer sighed.

“Silly? You think I’m silly. Look at me!”

“I … I didn’t mean it that way, Molly. You look fine, beautiful.”

“I look like a fucking piece of shit!’

Jennifer laughed even though she tried to stifle it. “Oh, Molly…”

“What? How can you laugh at me, Mom?”

“You sounded so much like Brian when you said that.”

Molly stared at her mother and then she burst out laughing. “Fuck! I did, didn’t I?”

Jennifer nodded and leaned over to hug her daughter. “You really do look beautiful, and just remember what you’ll have at the end of this … a happy, healthy little bundle of joy.”

Molly smiled and hugged her mother. “I do look like a whale though, don’t I?” she asked with a chuckle.

“Well maybe just a bit,” Jennifer laughed.

That’s how the salesgirl in the shop found them minutes later, hugging each other and laughing hysterically.



*****



“Brian, I thought I’d touch base with you about the wedding,” Richard Connolly said into his phone.

“Yes?”

“You sound … distant … pissed off,” Richard observed with a frown. “You really don’t want me there, do you?”

“No.”

“Then why did you agree to it?”

“It’s my fucking mother-in-law. What else was I going to do?”

Richard laughed. “You certainly have a way with words, Mr. Kinney.”

“Mr. Kinney?” Brian asked wondering why Richard had switched from Brian to this more formal appellation.

“You sounded like being friendly wasn’t an option,” Richard explained.

“I’m in a pissy mood. You can come to the wedding and cover it for the Times.”

“Thanks, I think.”

“Look, this means a lot to Justin’s family. I could give a shit about the fucking society pages, but the family wants this. So, don’t make me regret saying that you were the only one I’d consider having do the article.”

“I wouldn’t dream of letting you down.”

“Good.”

“And I already have pajamas in an overnight bag,” Richard laughed.

“Did Emmett tell you that?” Brian chuckled.

“Yep.”

“It was a joke.”

“After my last visit, I thought I should be prepared.”

“Bite your tongue! If we have a Nor’easter on the day of the wedding, Jennifer will commit suicide, or worse, cut off my balls.”

“Why your balls? The weather’s not your fault.”

“You obviously don’t know my family very well, in spite of that article you wrote,” Brian chuckled. “Everything is my fault.”

“I guess I have a lot more to learn about your unique family.”

“Or, you could run screaming down the lane and try to save your sanity,” Brian advised.

“I’ll take that under advisement,” Richard laughed. “See you Saturday for the wedding.”



*****



“You’re okay with being my matron of honor?” Jennifer asked Molly as they left the dress shop. She was willing to forego having Molly stand up with her if her daughter really felt that uncomfortable about doing it.

“I’m fine now, Mom,” Molly said linking her arm through Jennifer’s, as they started walking down the sidewalk to where they had parked the car. “It was just a temporary meltdown.”

“You’re sure?”

“I’m sure. I want to be there for you and Seth.”

“And I want you there, sweetheart.”

“Ooh, look at that outfit,” Molly said as they passed another dress shop. “Someday, when this is all over, I’ll be able to wear something like that again,” Molly sighed.

“You’ll look fabulous in it too. Do you want to go in and look at it?” They stopped and viewed the outfit through the front window.

“No, it’ll just make me feel huge all over again.”

“You look wonderful, and this has been a pretty easy pregnancy,” Jennifer told her.

“Yeah, I guess I’ve been lucky. Hardly any morning sickness and no complications.”

“You are lucky.”

“Did you have problems with Justin or me when you were pregnant?”

“No, thank God. In fact everything went very smoothly just like your pregnancy. Except…” Jennifer said with a frown.

“What?” Molly asked in alarm.

“I almost didn’t get to the hospital before Justin was born.”

“Really? I thought first babies took forever and are notoriously late in coming. I’m really ready for this baby to be born,” Molly said as they resumed their walk.

“They are, but not Justin, and you were pretty quick too.”

“Hm, I wouldn’t mind if this baby came tomorrow,” Molly stated.

“Hey, I need you at my wedding.”

“I know, Mom, and it’s not due for a bit yet, I think.”

“You think?”

“Well, there is some problem establishing the exact date.”

“You and Owen having so much sex that you don’t know when my grandchild was conceived?” Jennifer laughed.

“Mom! You do say some scandalous things.”

“So do you, my darling.”

They both laughed as they arrived at the car.

“Ow,” Molly gasped as she got into the passenger side.

“What? Are you okay?” Jennifer asked in concern.

“Yeah, I guess I twisted the wrong way. Got a shot of pain.”

“Be careful,” Jennifer advised. “You want this baby to be full term.”

“I will, Mom,” Molly promised. She wondered if she should be more concerned about the jab of pain she had just experienced. Then she dismissed the idea. There were no more pains as they drove home.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 10





“Shit!” Emmett said as he stood at the door of the sun porch looking out at the rain that continued to fall.

“What?” Brian asked as he came up behind the tall queen.

“Jennifer really wanted the wedding outside and just look at that,” Emmett responded gesturing at the inclement weather. “We’ve had so much rain lately. Your grass is going to be a fucking quagmire, even if it stops raining.”

“My grass is never a fucking quagmire!” Brian declared. “It absorbs water efficiently and quickly. It’s supposed to stop raining tonight.”

“We’re going to have to hold the ceremony in here,” Emmett said ignoring Brian. He looked at the stacks of chairs which had just been delivered and placed in the sun porch because it was raining outside. “Just look at all these fucking chairs. The guests will be packed in like sardines.”

“Well, we do have a rather large family,” Brian snorted.

“You’re a big fucking help. Why didn’t you build that goddamn pavilion that Jennifer asked for?”

“Hey, you big old nelly bottom, don’t take this out on me.”

“Who else can I take it out on? This is a disaster.”

“What’s a disaster?” John asked as he entered the sun porch having just got off the phone. He was working from home so he could be of any assistance that might be needed by the wedding planner. “And did I hear mention of a pavilion?”

“Yes,” Emmett said looking pointedly at Brian. “Some person, who shall remain nameless, promised a pavilion, and this weather indicates that we are going to need it.”

“I would have built a pavilion,” John said seriously. “It would have been beautiful.”

“Can you whip one up by tomorrow morning?” Emmett asked.

“That might be cutting it a might fine.”

Emmett heaved a huge sigh. “This fucking wedding,” he griped. “Look at it out there.” He pointed out the windows of the sun porch at the continuing downpour.

John licked his finger and held it up in the air. He gave a mischievous wink to his brother. “Wind will switch around tonight and start things clearing out.”

“Wha…What are you talking about? How do you know?” Emmett asked in amazement.

“My index finger just told me,” John chuckled.

“Fuck! Does everybody think this is a fucking joke? I can’t do everything inside this sun porch, as spacious as it may appear to be,” Emmett said his eyes getting full of tears. “What am I going to do?”

“You’re going to go to your cottage and get Drew to fuck you senseless,” Brian declared taking Emmett by the shoulders, turning him around and shoving him gently towards the front door of the cottage. “Then you will have some lunch and a beauty sleep, so you can look fabulous tomorrow.”

“But…”

“Go, get out of here, Emmy Lou. You can’t control the weather.”

“But…”

“I said go! Get Drew to work his magic.”

“But…

“What, for fuck sake?”

“Drew’s in Pittsburgh.”

“Shit!” Brian reacted. He had been counting on Drew to calm the big fairy down.

“Don’t you have things to do for the wedding?” John jumped in.

“Yes,” Emmett said mournfully.

“Then go do them. The weather will take care of itself.”

“You promise?” Emmett asked hopefully.

“I promise,” John said crossing his heart.

Emmett disappeared out the door without a further word.

“Do you realize what you just promised?” Brian asked.

“Yes,” John smirked.

“What will happen if the weather doesn’t change?”

“We’ll deal with it.”

“But…”

“Now you’re sounding like Emmett.”

“Fuck!”

John laughed. “It will be all right, Brian. It will be what it will be.”

“Why did you promise Emmett the weather would change?” Brian asked with a frown.

“Just heard it on the weather report on the radio,” John chuckled.

“And they’re right … what? About point zero zero seven percent of the time?”

“It’s a little higher than that.”

“Can you build a fucking pavilion by tomorrow morning?” Brian asked hopefully.

“You won’t need it.”

“You are fucking nuts, big bro’.”

John stuck his finger in his mouth and held it up. “It will be fine.”

“You and that fucking finger,” Brian said shaking his head. John merely laughed.



*****



“Easy, Mol,” Owen said as he helped his very pregnant wife from the car.”

“I can’t fucking move,” Molly groaned as she finally got vertical. She was having more of those twinges and she had just had another rather strong one. “I want this baby out!”

“I want the baby too,” Jennifer said as she came around the car. “But I don’t want it today or tomorrow.”

“Maybe if I forced it out right now,” Molly said hopefully, “I could be ready for the wedding tomorrow.”

“I don’t think so, sweetheart,” Jennifer replied kissing her daughter’s cheek as she held an umbrella over their heads. “Then your dress wouldn’t fit.”

“I could put a belt around it,” Molly suggested as she waddled towards the front door of Edna’s Treasures beside her mother. Owen brought up the rear with their bags.

“Mom, Molly,” Justin said as he opened the door for them. “Glad you made it in one piece. Come in out of the rain. Hi, Owen.”

“I think it was a great idea that we come up here today and not wait till tomorrow morning,” Jennifer said as she kissed her son and shook the rain off the umbrella she had been carrying.

“We had to keep you and Seth apart for tonight,” Justin chuckled.

“Where’s Brian?” Molly asked.

“Out in the sun porch with John.”

“Are they planning what the fuck we’re going to do if this rain keeps up?” Jennifer asked.

“I think they’re designing a makeshift pavilion,” Justin giggled.

“Oh, Justin, it’s going to be such a mess,” Jennifer said, her eyes filling with tears. “I wanted everything to be perfect.”

“It will be,” Brian said as he and John came in from the porch.

“How can you say that, Brian?” Jennifer groaned. “It’s still raining.”

“I have it on good authority that it’s going to clear off tonight and it will be beautiful tomorrow.”

“And what authority is that?” Jennifer asked with a quizzical look. At least the tears had been pushed away for the moment.

“My big brother,” Brian smirked.

“John!” everyone said.

“I did predict the big snowstorm at Christmas,” John said with a grin. “Have faith.”

“From your lips to God’s ears,” Jennifer said.

“I’ll be sure to tell Him,” John said with a smile.

“Hey, pregnant lady here!” Molly spoke up. “I need to sit the fuck down.”

“Come on, Mol, I’ll help you,” Owen said dropping their bags and taking his wife’s arm. He led her into the kitchen where she could sit at the kitchen table. She preferred a harder chair that made it a little easier for her to get out of.

“Is she going to make it through the wedding?” Justin asked. “She looks like she’s ready to pop.”

“I know, sweetheart, but she has a couple of weeks before her due date.”

“Let’s hope they calculated correctly,” Brian piped up. “I don’t want no babies being born in this house.”

“Shut up, Brian,” Molly yelled from the kitchen.

“Don’t cross her,” Jennifer warned. “She’ll cut off your balls.”

“Pregnancy hormones,” Brian smirked. “Thank the gods, you didn’t have any of those when we were having Bree.” Justin gave his husband a death glare that would rival one of Brian’s best.

“I heard that,” Molly called out. “I’ll get you, Kinney, when I don’t weigh nine hundred pounds.”

Brian chuckled.

“Be careful, Brian, she’ll make you pay,” Justin warned. “I know from experience.”

Brian’s smirk suddenly left his face.



*****



Bree came home from school and everyone’s spirits perked up as a result. Her smiling face and infectious laughter made them all feel better on the gloomy day.

Everyone settled in at Edna’s Treasures and Justin started dinner. The rain was still falling but not as hard. Jennifer was standing in the sun porch staring out at the rain.

“It will clear,” John said gently as he walked up behind her.

“I wish.”

“It will be a beautiful wedding whatever happens, Jennifer. You can bank on that.”

“Thanks, John. That’s what I needed to hear.”

“If it’s still raining, I’ll start the pavilion in the morning,” John said with a gentle smile.

“You promised it was going to clear,” Jennifer smiled.

“Oh, right!”

“You are as bad as your brother,” Jennifer chuckled.

“That puts me in fine company.”

“That it does.”

“Gamma,” Bree called from the doorway, “come play with me.”

Jennifer laughed. “Yes, sweetheart, I’ll be right there.”

“What else would you be doing on the eve of your wedding?” John asked with a smirk.

“I can think of one or two things that involve Seth,” Jennifer said feeling much better. “But since we’ve been banned from seeing each other, playing with my granddaughter is the next best thing.”

John watched a happier Jennifer walk into the house to play with Bree. His work there was done.



*****



“What time will Seth be here?” Justin asked as they sat around in the sun porch after dinner.

“He’s coming up in the morning. I’m not sure what time,” Jennifer replied.

“Is he bringing his brother?”

“Yes, his brother’s flight gets in at ten and they’ll come here as soon as Seth picks him up at the airport.”

“What’s his brother’s name again? I don’t remember,” Justin asked.

“Samuel,” Jennifer said. “And it is Samuel. He never shortens it to Sam.”

Brian snorted. “I wouldn’t either.”

“Brian, you be nice to him. He’s a part of the family now,” Jennifer warned.

“Not for a few more hours.”

“Brian,” Justin warned arching an eyebrow at his less than politically correct husband.

“If the weather would only cooperate,” Jennifer sighed as she looked out at the rain.”

“It’s tapering off,” John said with a wink.

Jennifer couldn’t help but smile.

“Auntie Molly, can I sit with you?” Bree asked as she stood beside the chaise where Molly was relaxing after dinner.

“I think I can squeeze a bit of room for you,” Molly said as she shifted her heavy body over. Bree climbed up beside her. “The baby’s kicking field goals,” she said to her niece. “Want to feel?”

“Yeah,” Bree said her eyes getting very big.

“Put your hand right here,” Molly said, taking Bree’s hand and placing it on her belly.

“Ooh,” Bree laughed as she felt the baby make her hand bounce on Molly’s tummy. “Cool.”

“Can I feel too?” Patrick asked having watched Bree’s reaction.

“Sure, there’s always room for one more.”

Patrick climbed up on the other side of Molly. She placed the boy’s hand so he could feel the kicks too.

“Neat,” Patrick responded with a smile. “When will the baby be here?”

“Any minute,” Molly laughed.

“Bite your tongue,” Brian told her.

“I want this baby out.”

“How does the baby get out?” Bree asked.

“Basically I push it out from down here,” Molly said matter-of-factly. She pointed to her crotch.

“Gross!” Patrick reacted.

“Will it hurt?” Bree asked with a frown.

“You bet your ass,” Molly replied.

“I thought I could be a baby doctor,” Bree told her aunt. “But maybe not.”

“I wouldn’t be an obstetrician either, Bree,” Molly chuckled. “There are lots of other things to be.”

“Yeah,” Bree said thinking about that.

“Are you ready to be a flowergirl tomorrow?”

“I’m ready,” Bree declared.

“Good girl,” Molly said as she gave Bree a hug.

“She’s going to be a great mother,” Owen said to Jennifer as he watched his wife with the two children.

“She certainly will.” Seeing Molly with the children made Jennifer realize that it didn’t matter one iota what the weather was like for the wedding. Children were the important things.



*****



The wedding day dawned gray and windy, but not rainy. It had stopped raining overnight and the breeze had dried up a lot of the water. Brian came in from the gardens where he had been surveying the state of his plants. Everything looked great, having benefited from the prolonged April showers. All they needed was some sun to make the flowers look positively magnificent. Brian had been working on his gardens for weeks to have them in top notch condition for the wedding day.

“Your gardens look great, Brian,” Justin said as he walked into his husband’s arms.

“If only the sun would come out,” Brian frowned.

“Can’t you wave your magic wand and make it appear.”

“I usually save my magic wand for you,” Brian smirked.

“I’d share … just this once,” Justin chuckled.

“Then let there be sunshine for my Sunshine,” Brian said grabbing his crotch.

“You are so bad.” Justin laughed at the antics of his husband before kissing him. But when he looked up the sun was shining.


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Post Fractalization

Chapter 11





“Is this it?” Samuel asked his brother as they slowly made their way down the lane. It was late morning. Seth had called the minute he turned onto the private lane. He was instructed to stop at Emmett’s cottage. That’s where Seth and his brother were going to spend the time until they were required.

“This is Emmett’s cottage. The wedding will be at Brian’s cottage just at the end of the lane,” Seth explained as they got out of the car carrying their suits and other bags.

“That big house at the end?” Samuel was referring to Rachel and George’s house.

“No, look toward the right. See the cottage?” Samuel nodded. “That’s it. The other house belongs to Brian’s in-laws.

“Is the cottage going to be big enough?”

“You’d be amazed how many people can fit in that place,” Seth laughed. His brother looked rather perplexed. “I’ll explain later. Now, I did tell you about Emmett. Sometimes he’s a little over the top, but he’s the friendliest person you’d ever want to meet. His partner is Drew Boyd.”

“Drew Boyd, the retired quarterback, Drew Boyd?” Samuel asked as Seth knocked on the front door to the cottage.

“The one and only!” Drew said as he opened the door to greet the groom and his brother.

“Hi, Drew!” Seth greeted the man. “Allow me to introduce you to my brother, Samuel.”

“Very nice to meet you, please come in. I’m afraid you’re stuck with me till the wedding. Emm’s down at Brian’s doing his planning thing. And probably very relieved at the moment since the sun came out.”

“Yes, we were following it all the way here. Someone must have worked a miracle,” Seth chuckled.

“Probably Brian,” Drew joked. “Would you like some brunch?” Drew offered the brothers mugs of Emmett’s finest coffee and several of his delectable muffins. “You boys relax. Plenty of time for excitement later,” Drew counseled. Seth and Samuel took a seat in the kitchen to have something to eat.



*****



“Will you look at that?” Claire exclaimed.

“Yes, Molly is quite far along,” Steve agreed.

“Yes, she is, but that’s not what I was referring to.”

“What then?”

“That behemoth parked across the lane,” Claire pointed to the Winnebago that had just pulled up and parked. Debbie and Carl were planning to leave on their trip on Sunday.

“It has to be thirty feet long! And Brian bought it for them?”

“Apparently. You know how much he loves Debbie and Carl. They said they wanted to travel.”

“I always wanted my own crop duster, do you think...”

“Don’t even try it!” Claire scolded then they laughed. Claire and Steve joined the rest of the family that were strolling through the gardens and enjoying Emmett’s delicacies as they waited for the wedding to begin.



*****



“Father Tom! I’m so glad you’re here,” Jennifer said with relief. She was hiding herself in the attic office bedroom. Tom and Emmett had gone up for some last minute instructions. Molly was resting in the master bedroom.

“Jennifer, I am very honored to officiate,” Tom said as he kissed the woman’s cheek.

“You’re not offended that we decided on a nonsectarian ceremony, are you?”

“No, of course not. I’ve performed hundreds of unions this way. Your wedding will still be legally binding.”

“Thank you,” Jennifer said serenely.

“Do you have any last minute instructions?” the good father asked Jennifer and Emmett.

“None that I can think of,” Jennifer commented. “Emmett?”

“You’ll be standing at the far end of the garden so that Miss Jennifer can be escorted through it. Of course, Seth and Samuel will be standing with you. Miss Briana will go first, followed by Molly who may be moving a tad bit slow but we’re in no rush. You’ll do your ‘dearly beloved’ thing and poof! The happy couple are married and we can all relax. Oh and just in case you didn’t know, Richard and Morgan Connolly will be here covering the wedding for the Times. This union is news!” Emmett gushed proudly.

“I wish you wouldn’t remind me,” Jennifer grumbled.

“No sad faces, it causes wrinkles. Now I must check on my minions and on the matron of honor. When you hear your cue, you start down the spiral staircase and for heaven’s sakes don’t catch your heels in the steps. Tootles!”

Emmett swished himself down the staircase to tend to his guests.

“Can I get you anything?” Tom asked.

“I guess a scotch and soda is out of the question?”

“I imagine it is after five o'clock somewhere in the world but in our corner, it’s only twelve-thirty. Tea, perhaps?”

“That would be nice.”

“I’ll have someone bring you up some.”

“Thank you, Father.”

“Tom, today I am Tom.”

“Thank you, Tom.” Jennifer smiled at the man, who had, over the years, become a part of the family.



*****



“Your sister has taken over our room,” Brian grumbled to Justin who was busy making tea for his mother.

“She hasn’t taken over; she’s just resting her feet. Give her a break and go out there and play host! Most of the family is here already.”

“Why is that, Justin? The invitation distinctly said two. It’s twelve fucking thirty. I’m already in my suit and a pregnant woman is lying in my bed! Explain that!”

“Our bed and I have no fucking clue, Brian. It is what it is. Now, behave yourself. I have to bring Mom her tea.”

“I’ll do it; you be host. They all like you better anyway.”

“No, they don’t, they love you.” Brian scowled. “On second thought, maybe you’re right. You handle the tea; I’ll deal with the guests.”

“That’s what I love about you, Sunshine, always the practical one.” The lovers kissed then temporarily parted ways.



*****



“Richie, is that the Sarah Kingsley?” Morgan Connolly whispered into her husband’s ear. She quickly snapped several pictures.

“Yes, it is. Jennifer Taylor’s daughter is married to Kingsley’s grandson,” Richard whispered back as he jotted down a few notes. “She looks like she’s attending a cotillion.” Sarah Kingsley was wearing a flowing chiffon dress with a huge hat. The outfit left Morgan speechless.

Richard kept scribbling notes as several more guests arrived. He and Morgan meandered through the gardens, quietly interviewing some guests and taking pictures.

“Hey, Pop! Why are you hiding up here?” Gus had snuck up to the attic office to find his father and the bride to be sitting side by side on the pull-out. Their shoes were off, they were each sipping a very small glass of sherry and playing footsie. “Oooo, I’m telling!” Gus teased. He was shushed by both of them.

“Pop, she can’t be drunk at her own wedding!”

“Who says?” Jennifer asked as she giggled. Gus was horrified.

“Don’t worry, Sonny Boy. It’s barely an ounce and Jennifer had a good breakfast. I promise, Mother Taylor will be as sober as a judge when our Sunshine walks her down the garden path.”

“She better be, Pop, or your Sunshine will have your ass in a sling,” Gus warned his father as he turned to go back downstairs.

“Ooooo!” Jennifer and Brian said at the same time, then broke out into hysterical giggles. Gus fled the scene of the crime.



*****



Precisely at two, the string quartet that had been playing quietly in the garden, entertaining guests since noon, began the wedding march. Justin stood at the base of the spiral staircase with Bree. They watched as Brian gave Jennifer a kiss. She gave her favorite son-in-law a hug just before he came down the stairs. Brian kissed Justin deeply then led Bree to her starting point where she'd begin to fulfill her duties as flowergirl. Owen had gone into the master bedroom to help Molly. She wanted her husband to walk with her. Molly’s twinges kept coming faster. She knew she shouldn’t have had that third popover. It was giving her indigestion.

Jennifer slowly descended the stairs as Molly and Owen walked out of the sun porch door and into the garden. Justin held out his arm for his mother.

“You look so beautiful, Mom.”

“You think so?”

“I know so and I’m very happy for you. Are you ready to take that walk now?”

“I’m ready.” Justin escorted his mother out to the gardens.



*****



“Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today in the sight of Mother Earth and in the presence of our family and friends to join Jennifer Taylor and Seth Harris in matrimony.”

“Oohh,” Molly moaned.

“Are you okay?” Owen whispered.

“It’s this damned indigestion; my stomach keeps cramping up,” Molly grumbled.

“Jennifer and Seth come now to be joined, to unite two hearts and lives, blending all interests, sympathies, and hopes....”

“Ssssss,” Molly hissed as another cramp hit.

“Mol, you sound like you sprung a leak,” Owen commented.

“Can’t help it.” There were tears in her eyes.

“Molly?” Jennifer stopped paying attention to Father Tom as she turned to face her daughter. “Molly, sweetheart?”

“Oh God, Mom, I think my water broke!” Molly exclaimed as she looked down then burst into tears.

“By the power vested in me by the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, I now pronounce you husband and wife!" Tom said rapidly. "Seth, kiss Jennifer and I’ll owe you the rest of the ceremony later. We need some help here!” Tom said loudly into the crowd.

Doctor Dan, who was attending the wedding with his wife, rushed to Molly’s side. “How far apart are they?” he asked Molly.

“I don’t know, I thought it was indigestion,” Molly cried. Owen had her right arm while Dan took her left. They were walking Molly into the house.

“Bring her into our room,” Justin suggested. Brian paled.

“Oh for fuck sake, my sheets!” Brian scooped up Bree then dashed into the house to transform his bedroom into a maternity suite.

“What’s wrong, Dada?” Bree asked her father. Brian had set his daughter down on the overstuffed chair in their room. She watched with fascination as her father flew about the room, stripping his bed of his Egyptian cotton sheets and blankets.

“Auntie Molly grossly miscalculated her dates and now she’s about to have her baby here in my room! On my BED!” Brian took it as a personal affront. However, Briana had no idea what her father was talking about. She just the thought the colors that her father’s face were turning were rather interesting.

“Why are you taking the sheets off the bed? Is it laundry day?”

“No, Squirt, I’m trying to prevent a lot of laundry.” Brian suddenly stopped. He was folding a blanket and trying to figure out how to waterproof the bed. He realized how ridiculous, or worse, frightening his behavior was, especially in front of his daughter.

“Bree, when women have babies, it can be messy. I want Auntie Molly to be comfortable....”

“OOOOOO!” Brian and Bree heard Molly’s cries become louder as she was getting closer to the house. Molly was in active labor and had to stop walking every few feet. It was taking her a long time to reach the sun porch door.

“But I don’t want my bed to be ruined.”

“Oh. Picnic blankets, Dada.”

“What?”

“Picnic blankets. They’re so soft and my hiney doesn’t get wet from the grass.”

“Out of the mouths of babes!” Brian picked up his daughter then swung her around the room. “You are a genius, Squirt!” Brian said as he kissed his brilliant daughter.

“I know, Dada. I help, I’ll go get the blankets for Auntie Molly!” Brian set Bree down then she rushed to the closet where they kept the blankets. The rest of the guests were all abuzz with the news and were offering to help or just stay out of the way.

Bree came back with the blankets and helped her father to arrange them on the bed. Brian put back the pillows then waited. Shortly, Dan, Owen, Molly and Jennifer arrived. Claire also joined them to help.

“Come on Squirt, its time for us to amscray.”

“Okay, Dada.”

“What do you have there?” Brian asked John as he was carrying a bunch of long aprons, the kind they used when grilling, toward the bedroom.

“Aprons. They’re all in there wearing their good clothes. It’s the least I can do,” John said as he hurried into the room. After a few minutes, John came out.

“Doesn’t all that birthing stuff scare you?” Brian asked his brother.

“Nah! You haven't seen a real birth until you've helped a mare give birth. Talk about a mess!” John laughed as the color drained from his brother’s face. “Don’t worry, my mother used to help out old Doc Adams when some of the local farm women decided to have their babies at home. Molly is in the best hands,” John reassured his brother.

“Hey!” Justin said as he came into the porch.

“Where have you been?” Brian asked as he arched a brow. Justin had been suspiciously absent for the past few minutes.

“Emmett is having a minor meltdown. He’s convinced that the gods are conspiring against him. He feels personally responsible.”

“For what? How could he know that Molly would decide to have her baby ahead of schedule?” Justin shrugged. “Go out there and tell the big fairy to get his ass in here and help me. Have his minions start serving and we’ll turn up the music. Let’s bring this baby into the world our way!”

Justin flashed his sunniest smile then rallied the family. Within minutes the party was hopping as a new life was entering the world.

“One last push, Molly. Make it a big one. This baby wants to be born,” Doctor Dan instructed the mother to be.

Owen was sitting behind Molly holding her up, encouraging her to push. Jenn and Claire were helping and ready to receive the baby.

“Deep breath, now PUSH!”

Molly let out a mighty roar as she pushed with all her might.

“That’s it. PUSH!” The room became hushed as Dan took the baby and placed it on Molly’s abdomen. He cut the umbilical cord then wrapped the baby up in a towel. He handed the infant to Claire who went about the business of making sure the baby was breathing and then cleaned up. Dan tended to Molly.

Within the hour, the new mother, father and baby were all peacefully sleeping in Brian and Justin's four poster bed. Dan and his ‘mid-wives’ left the new family to rejoin the wedding party.

“Your family certainly knows how to throw a party,” Samuel remarked to his brother.

“That they do,” Seth agreed as Jennifer came out of the room to join them, beaming from ear to ear. He hugged his new wife closely as they all laughed and cried with joy.

“So, is it a boy or a girl?” Brian asked impatiently as he handed a glass of champagne to Doctor Dan.

“I am happy to announce that Molly and Owen are the proud parents of a healthy baby....!”



*****TBC*****



This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1040