The Secrets That You Keep. by starlight
Summary:

Justin and Brian meet on a vacation. They continue to see each other until Justin gets tired of being a secret and begins to resent the barrier that Brian keeps between them. 

 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Ted Schmidt, Vic Grassi
Tags: Anti-Michael, Out of Character, Possessive
Genres: Alternate Universe, Angst w/ Happy Ending, Drama, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Melanie/Lindsay, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 52271 Read: 196399 Published: Jul 07, 2017 Updated: Sep 22, 2017
Story Notes:

DISCLAIMER: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Lorie thanks for being my beta and cheerleader.

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 The Return of Brian Kinney by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This was banging around so I wrote it to get it out. LOL


JUSTIN


I had everything packed, and hated that my life here could fit into one duffle bag. I didn’t call and tell Brian that it was over, having no way to reach him and because it would hurt to hear his voice. I was tired of his secrets and the way he acted as if any questions about his life outside of us, were forbidden. I didn’t need to be constantly reminded that he didn’t owe me any explanations or that the door was open if I didn’t accept just the parts of him that he was willing to share with me.


I should have walked away after our first night together, but I kept waiting for him to see me as more than the person he called to meet him at hotels when he in New York on business. It was like he was ashamed of me, even when he would say he didn’t want to ruin what we had together. I told him after six months of feeling like a booty call, to lose my number. I really expected him to walk away, because he told me he didn’t do ultimatums. He came after me as I got in a cab to go to the airport and offered to buy a place so I’d know it wasn’t a booty call for him. I caved because I already loved him.


I still had my own life and he had his, but we met at the apartment in New York, not a hotel. Every time we argued, he would try to stop me from storming out by telling me he was giving me more than he gave other people, and the things he wouldn’t tell me were things that didn’t affect us. He even used the fact that he never asked about my life outside of him and felt that I should respect him the way he was respecting me. It was bullshit, but I loved him and continued to wait for the day he was ready to open up to me. Only, his lack of communication ended up allowing me to finally call an end to the farce I was living with him.


The last straw was when my friend Lee was reading a magazine and showed me a picture of my boyfriend, with his arm around another guy at a gay pride parade in Pittsburgh. It blew me away because Brian never mentioned Pittsburgh once in all the time we were together. I tried to believe they were just friends hanging out, because Brian wasn’t acting the way he does when we were together, it was the picture on the next page where my life with him was no longer an option. Brian was sitting on some steps holding a baby, with the other guy sitting behind him, arms around Brian, looking at the baby with his head on Brian’s shoulder. Even arguing with myself that he could explain it didn't work, because he never would. It buried all hope when there were pictures of them dancing with their heads together and I hated feeling like the other man.


Lee told me as a friend, he didn’t like the way I took off as if Brian controlled me. All Lee knew about Brian was that I took off when he called, leaving anything to be with Brian. When I told Lee who it was in the picture with another man, he asked when I became someone who would let a guy shit on me. I didn’t understand anything about the way Brian wanted our lives, but like a lovesick fool, I didn’t ask or demand anything that would have him acting like I was wrong when I questioned anything. It was how we started, as a week long tryst, no questions, just fun, and somewhere along the way it’s how we continued.


We met while I was taking a vacation with friends in Jamaica. He’d been sitting at a table, drinking alone, when I drunkenly fell on him. We spent the rest of the vacation only leaving his room to eat. Then on the last day, he asked for my number, just before I was about to leave for the airport, not my address or where I was from. It should have made me realize then he wasn’t interested in anything but what we did in bed. In fairness, when he didn’t answer about anything personal, I paid him back by not answering him when he would ask. It was childish, but I didn’t want to feel like he was the only one who had the barbwire fence around anything personal.


I left the key in the middle of the bed that he left two weeks ago when I slipped and said I loved him. His answer was to get dressed and walk out, leaving the phone I called him on in the apartment, to make a point that I screwed up with him. I waited, thinking he would contact me, but I saw the family he left to fuck me, and I wasn’t going to be that guy. It was time to go back home and find someone who didn’t throw us away because I dared to love him.


BRIAN


Everyone was around Deb’s table, Michael sitting as close to me as possible. I hated that I wanted to shove him away, but I couldn’t do it to Michael. As far as Deb was concerned, it was my fault Michael got hurt in the car accident we had when he was driving me home after a long night of drinking. Michael came to my defense, telling everyone it was an accident. I felt like I once again owed him for defending me, when everyone blamed me for him being in the car.


I stopped drinking that night and spent all my time helping Michael to recover. It took three years for him to walk again and sometimes I hated that I thought he dragged it out to keep me attentive. It was only when I left town that Michael made me feel that way. He would start getting depressed and fight his therapist. Which would have Deb all over me about being there for my best friend. I didn’t want to be here, but I needed space, because Justin said he loved me. It wasn’t that I didn’t want him to. I had waited two years for him to say it, but Deb called and screamed at me that Michael tried to overdose when I didn’t answer him. So when Justin said it, I couldn't do what I wanted because Mikey needed me. I left, hating the look on Justin’s face. The one that I know I put there by closing him out. I couldn’t stay to watch him pack again, not even knowing where he'd be, because he hid as much about his life as I did about mine. At first I was relieved he stopped asking, but then I realized by using my not asking him about his life as why he shouldn't ask me, meant if he left for good, then I had lost him. I wanted to call him but I didn’t need him to ever see what being around me did to people.


He was my salvation from the prison my life here had become.


“Brian, are you even listening!?” Michael screeches.


“Sorry, I’ve been up all day trying to keep the account I left hanging to come back here.” I tell him, having to stop the sarcasm from coming out.


“Is Jacobson balking at signing?” Ted asks.


“He wasn’t thrilled when I told him I had to cancel to come home.” I tell Ted.


“You should have told him I needed you.” Michael tells me, laying his head on my arm.


Mel got up, asking me for a cigarette and then saying she didn’t want to smoke alone. I followed her, not caring that she and I never spent time together for any reason. She lit up and we stood in the back together not saying anything for a couple minutes.


“Brian, how long are you going to let Michael do this to you?” She asks.


“He needs me right now.” I tell her.


“He has Deb to coddle him. He wants you to keep feeling guilty; if you don’t see that then somewhere along the way you lost that bullshit filter that served you well in life.” She tells me.


“I might have lost more this time.” I whisper, staring at the stark landscape in front of us.


“Only if you keep letting Michael pull you back. I know we were all assholes to blame you when the accident was the other driver’s fault, but we were all scared that Michael wouldn’t make it. I can’t be a good mother to our son by not telling the great father he has that it’s time to stop letting Michael guilt you. Gus needs to see the man I know.” She tells me.


“When did you decided I was a great father?” I ask, to tease her.


“The day you showed up and said yes to Lindsay. I know we fight, but it doesn’t change what you do for Gus. Lindsay is starting to worry you’ll give up your whole life for Michael.” She tells me.


“It might be too late.” I tell her.


“For what?” She asks.


“I left New York and most likely gave Justin a reason to finally leave for good. He’s dealt with two years of me shutting him down if he asked anything about my life, and then walking out when he said he loved me. Not contacting him since I got back might have broken us.” I tell her.


“Wait, you’ve been living with someone for two years?” She asks.


“No. Yes. Shit. I have an apartment where we stay when we meet up there. He said something, and instead of acknowledging it, I walked out to save Michael again.” I tell her.


“Why?” She asks.


“Because Deb calls and I answer.” I tell her.


“Do you love this guy? Don’t think, just answer.” She tells me.


“Yes, but he might not believe I do.” I tell her.


“Then find him and convince him you do, you told me the same thing when Lindsay and I were having problems when we first met. Both of us want you as happy as we are.” She tells me.


“I need to go.” I tell her.


“Use the gate, and don’t answer when they start calling. If it’s important, Lindsay or I will call you.” She tells me.

 

I didn’t get a flight, but drove, because I needed to break down the barrier Justin was no longer even trying to chip away at. I got to the apartment the next morning, only turning my phone on when I pulled in and parked. Unlocking the door, I already knew he didn’t stay. I also knew he left for good when I saw his phone and key on the bed. The closet was open with only my stuff still in there and the bed was still unmade like he got up and disappeared. All I could think in that moment was checkmate, Michael finally got what he wanted, me alone.

Chapter 2 by starlight

SIX MONTHS LATER


LEE


I’m relatively sure Justin might kick my ass for this one but I couldn’t continue to watch him going through the motions. I wasn’t a fan of Brian, only because Justin would come back after spending time with him and instead of being thrilled, he would be more frustrated. I couldn’t take it anymore and asked what the fuck was so special about a guy who treated you like a mistress. Justin didn’t answer, but I felt like a total shithead for bringing it up. It took a week for Justin to do more than greet me.


“You told me you were over him, yet you get pissed if I say anything that sounds like he was a bastard for the way he treated you.” I tell him.


“I’m trying to make myself believe it’s over, but when you say shit, I remember there were a lot of good times too. Like when we danced around the apartment to slow songs all night, or when he tried to make dinner to celebrate that we’d been together for a year. It wasn’t what you thought. He didn’t control me. I wanted to be with him, so nothing else mattered when he called me.” I tell him.


“Then why are you still living with your cousin?” I ask him.


“Quinn and I get along.” He tells me.


“Or living off the grid makes it so no one can find you, like Brian.” I tell him.


“I don’t live off the grid.” He argues.


“Then why register everything under Cole Taylor and not Justin. You hate that name, but it would keep anyone from finding you.” I tell him.


“It’s really none of your business.” He tells me.


“Whatever you say Cole.” I tell him, deciding to meet the man who has Justin hiding from him.


“Don’t call me that.” He snaps, walking to his office.


BRIAN


I was living my life, or as Lindsay constantly complains, only waking up, working, and being with Gus. I came back to Pittsburgh no longer giving a shit about anything. I started drinking again and tricking to forget.


Michael was following me around like the old days and I couldn’t even take it out on him because I didn’t want him saying I only needed him and Deb to be happy, because I would have torn his head off. He’s thrilled that I no longer volunteer to go out of town on business and is constantly showing up at the loft, trying to stay the night. I'd been passing out drunk instead of worrying that Michael seemed to live here with me. I woke up every morning hating that he was still there.


Emmett showed up one morning and dragged Michael to the diner. Then came back later asking why Michael was constantly staying with me lately, while doing the things he started doing when I came back from New York after finding Justin gone. It's like he had a checklist; pick up Michael, dump bottles down the drain, and drag my ass into a cold shower, repeat, as I went on bender after bender. They would have just ignored it, but when Ted found me passed out on my sofa in my office, I was drunk and talking in my sleep. I woke up to Emmett and Ted looking worried which means once again I talked in my sleep.


“Brian, what's going on with you? Your drinking is out of control, you're barely sleeping, and exploding over things you normally ignore.” Ted asks.


“What's new? I'm the asshole you know.” I tell him, getting up to clean my drunk ass up.


“Don’t get pissed, but you were screaming for someone to come home. I came in because I was worried about you.” Ted tells me.


I remembered dreaming of Justin and trying to convince him it would be different, only the smiling man I know became stone faced and disappeared every time I found him. He was building walls around him, walls that blocked me from reaching him.


“Teddy and I think you need to get away for a while, we'll handle things.” Emmett tells me.


“I did that two years ago, and got berated by all of you for daring to leave Michael.” I sneered at Emmett.


“We were wrong Brian. What happened that night would have happened anyway, Michael would have found a way to go with you even if you were sober. We knew it, we stupidity blamed you, because you didn't have a scratch on you. I know I hurt our friendship because I played into blaming you. Michael is healed and still using it to keep you from having your own life. Which apparently you'd been trying to do, when Michael got better.” Emmett tells me.


“It doesn’t matter anymore, the life I wanted disappeared.” I whispered. “I need to get to work, go babysit my jailer.” I tell them, slamming the bathroom door.


TED


Mel told me we needed to find a way to keep Michael from using Brian’s guilt to control him. I know there isn’t a single one of us who can say we weren’t guilty ourselves of helping Michael and Deb in blaming Brian. Mel told me watching what Michael did caused her to pay attention to the situation and hoped I was a better person then to keep punishing Brian. Because at one time, I wanted what Michael was using the accident to get from Brian. It wasn't fun to face my part in the crucifixion of Brian Kinney. It was even worse when Lindsay reminded me of how Brian helped me when I lost my job. I was still pissed at the way Brian had been treating everyone at the office, and told Mel and Lindsay he causes everyone to not give a shit about him, for being a massive shithead over nothing.


“How would you react if you lost Blake because Michael couldn’t take a shit without expecting you to hand him the toilet paper?” Mel asks.


“Michael isn’t at the office.” I answered, avoiding saying that I'd be ready to murder anyone who tried to make me put my life aside for his.


“I'm trusting you with something I know about Brian. If you value our friendship, you'll find a way to give Brian room to deal with losing someone he loves.” Mel tells me.


“I doubt Ted cares.” Lindsay says angrily, picking up Gus and leaving the house.


“Why is she upset?” I ask Mel.


“She knows that she's just as much to blame, when she didn’t stick by Brian. I need you to tell me that our friendship means enough that this doesn't become gossip.” She tells me.


“Mel, I've always kept to myself anything you've asked me to.” I tell her.


“This isn't about me, but about Brian. I don’t need you to use it as a way to feel superior to him.” She tells me.


I was ashamed when she told me everything she'd been witnessing after the accident and as Michael healed.


“There are so many things that Brian should've hated us all for, but he let it go because he's a fucking martyr. He never once left Michael’s side, yet we acted like him sleeping proved he was a selfish bastard. Brian spent three years of his life getting Michael on his feet and paying for everything, but still we, and that includes me, let him believe he couldn’t have a life outside of Michael. It pisses me off when I think about the things I said when Brian told us he needed to be away from everything. He hired a nurse to wait on Michael hand and foot, but wasn’t even allowed to take a vacation from the pressures we put on him. He would have done what he could if we needed the same thing, not hearing any appreciation from us. I want you to think about that first, because it changed the way I saw everything.” She tells me.


I nodded, because hearing what we did, made it hard for me to talk. Mel gave me a second before hitting me with the next revelation.


“Brian was seeing someone named Justin, it's why he didn't mind being away. Something happened though, when he got called back to deal with Michael. When Brian went back to make it up to Justin, Justin was gone. For Brian to even tell me, should show you how badly he was dealing with losing Justin. Brian needs us to give him space and time to heal from losing a man that meant a lot to him. He can’t get that, because Michael and Deb won’t stop harassing him. I've tried, but Lindsay and I can't be the only ones paying attention to the bullshit Michael’s doing to keep the noose around Brian’s neck.” She tells me.


“What do you mean Michael’s bullshit?” I ask, trying to ignore what even Blake told me, when he watched Michael and Brian out with us.


“I'm talking about how Michael never limps unless Brian can see him, or to get Deb’s ‘Brian owes Michael’ badgering to go in high gear. Start paying attention when Brian wants to do anything that doesn't include Michael, and you'll see what I'm talking about. Brian isn't drinking and tricking because he's being the asshole we accuse him of, but because he's bleeding inside for the man he lost.” She tells me.


“When did you start championing Brian?” I ask, because she's always disliked him for Lindsay depending on him.


“It's hard to hate someone when you see the love he's capable of. I was against Brian being Gus’s father only because it gave Lindsay and him a tighter bond in Gus. Only, he never made me feel like I wasn't Gus’s mother, which if he was an asshole, he could've done. Instead he makes sure Gus knows he got two wonderful mothers to give him everything. He doesn't even have to be asked to watch Gus or help with things we need. Lindsay wanted to be with Gus until he starts school, Brian just added money to our account without telling us, so we wouldn’t have to use the money from my grandfather. He destroyed the asshole I made him by loving my son and believing in my ability to raise Gus. I just wonder how long it's going to take you to see beyond the role you stuck Brian in, because Michael wanted Brian and not you. He gave you a job, and never once made you thank him for it. Think about where you would be if Brian was really the devil we run around treating him like. I’m only telling you this because you’re one of the people who could help him by answering the constant calls Michael and Deb make when Brian isn’t kissing Michael’s ass.” She tells me.


I left after Mel held up a mirror with her words, and I didn’t like the person I was seeing. When I brought it up to Blake, he told me the truth isn’t always what we want to believe, and turning away to avoid it didn’t change it.


Brian is never someone who sees what he does for people. Instead he pretends you're doing him the favor, and berates you with sarcasm for thanking him. Instead of thanking him, we all treat him as if he didn’t do anything to make our lives better. It really makes me wonder if we do expect him to act like an asshole because it make us feel like better people.


He scared the shit out of me when I showed up early to get work cleared away so I could spend the weekend with Blake. There I was, bitching under my breath that I would have to stay later before I could get my weekend away, and Brian is screaming like a man dying slowly because he couldn't keep the man he'd been dreaming about. I called Emmett, who'd been trying to find a way to apologize for not seeing what we all did to Brian. I did the one thing Brian wouldn’t thank me for and told Emmett what I learned from Mel after Brian showed back up from disappearing on us. Emmett didn’t run out to tell, but started trying in small ways to right what he felt was his part in keeping Brian paying for an accident that was just that, an accident.


“What do we do?” Emmett asks, saddened at the words we’d heard Brian whispering.


“About what?” Michael comes charging in. “Have you seen Brian? I looked for him all night. He left when I needed a ride because my leg hurt.” Michael tells us, starting to limp, after he practically ran in here.


“I saw him at the gym. He said he was going to work out longer and then go shop around town.” Emmett tells him, lying his ass off.


It was time to start doing what Mel asked and what was right. “He has meeting with a new client. I think they're planning on lunch on the way to the airport and if the client signs then Brian needs to be in… Wyoming to see the operation.” I tell him, figuring out that I wasn’t cut out to be a liar.


“I wanted him to come with me and help me at the Comic convention, in case my legs spasm. Ted, call him and tell him he has to send someone else. I planned on making it a day out with Gus for us. Brian can’t run off when I wanted to do something fun for us and Gussy.” Michael tells me.


“I’m free to help you.” Emmett tells me.


“Gus expects his father to be with us.” Michael tells us, which was a bit of a stretch when Gus isn’t really talking, much less giving a shit about comics.


“Can I help you?” I hear Cynthia saying to someone outside the office.


“Nope. I heard enough to know coming here was a mistake.” A guy answers.


I went out to see if maybe I could help the guy, and Emmett dragged Michael out behind me so Brian wouldn’t appear from his bathroom and out the lies Emmett and I were telling. Michael didn’t resist leaving, most likely thinking he would catch Brian before he could dare to leave town without telling Michael.


The guy was as tall as Brian, and really could give Brian a run for the money in the looks department. Where Brian was dark this guy was light, with ginger hair and gray eyes. He turned and walked towards the door saying he wasn’t going to let Justin be the mistress. I chased the man, because for once I want to be the one who takes care of the man who does it for everyone. Emmett followed when he heard the name we didn’t repeat to anyone.


“Hey, is that a MacTaylor?” I asked, when I caught up to the guy getting in a MacTaylor sports car.


The cars were made only after the people who wanted them got on a list. I’d never seen more than pictures because you had to have major money to get one, so I was distracted from what I originally wanted to ask.


“Yes. And no, I wasn’t here to talk business.” He tells me. MacTaylor was a firm that didn’t need advertising because the cars were in high demand and hard to get approved for.


“You own it?” I ask, seeing an accountant’s dream account slipping through my fingers.


“I design the engines, my partner designs the rest.” He tells me.


“Why come to Kinnetik if you don’t need the advertising?” I ask, hoping the Justin he muttered under his breath might be the one Brian needs.


“Stupidly thinking there was an explanation for a friend. Now I know it’s just a waste of time.” He looks at Michael and tells me, getting in and tearing out of the parking lot.


“I need to go. Brian should’ve told me he would be away.” Michael pouts leaving.


I waited until we got Michael in a cab, seeing another way Michael was manipulating Brian. “Strange that he didn’t need one of us to hold his hand because of his fear of cars.” I tell Emmett.


“I don’t need another thing that makes me question Michael’s motives.” Emmett tells me.


“We need to find out if the Justin he was muttering about connects to Brian.” I tell Emmett.


“How, we don’t even know who that guy was.” I tell him.


“Not personally, but MacTaylor is the account Brian would give his soul for. I think it’s time to tell Brian he couldn’t convince MacTaylor, that they need advertising.” I tell Emmett.


“Why would you do that?” Emmett asks.


“To have Brian showing me how wrong I am. And maybe finding what he lost.” I tell Emmett.





Chapter 3 by starlight

 BRIAN

 

I listened to Emmett and Ted prove that lying would never be something they'd excel at. I know they think they're helping, but they also don't realize that without Justin, nothing matters anymore. I waited until they left my office to come out, so Michael wouldn’t pitch a fit and expect my attention. I'm still trying to figure out the Wyoming thing.

 

Cynthia was standing outside the lobby when the piece of art, a MacTaylor sports car drove by. She came in shaking her head at Ted and Emmett. I went back into my office, hoping to avoid Cynthia’s tirade on all of us kissing Michael’s ass. Not that she didn’t go out of her way to make sure I heard it.

 

“He runs through here like a marathon runner, then has you two helping him limp out and paying for his cab. Are you not seeing what he does?” She asks them.

 

“It's easier on all of us to just leave it alone.” Emmett tells her.

 

“It's easier to cater to his ass? I guess I like having a life, unlike you.” She tells him.

 

“If we did what we wanted, Deb shows up, and no one gets peace until we do what she wants.” Ted tells her.

 

I walked out to save Ted and Emmett from Cynthia venting her frustration at the way Michael treats her. Only to find out she wasn’t letting me off the hook this time.

 

“You guys are adults last I checked, why cave to mommy dearest? I’ll never understand what Michael offers that gets you all to kiss his ass. Maybe it gets you off to listen to bitching and whining. Just understand, today was the last time I let him treat me like his personal assistant. If I wanted that there are enough job offers out there that I don’t have to endure Michael.” She tells me, making her point clear to me.

 

“I’ll tell him that he needs to respect you the way I do.” I tell her.

 

“He doesn’t respect YOU, if he did I wouldn’t be answering calls every hour on the hour. Every call is telling me to make sure your schedule suits his needs. I would understand if you and Michael were married. I really love the calls telling me that I need to start giving the out of town trips to Ted, so Blake can see what Michael has to up with. Is any of what I’m saying getting through? Blake and Ted are together in a relationship, and Michael compares you and him to them. If he ever gets what he wants, I'm taking the job Vance keeps offering.” She tells me.

 

“We have a business, which means get to work.” I tell her, not willing to even go down that line of thought with her. “Really? Wyoming?” I ask Ted.

 

“I was listening to talk radio this morning and they commented about how no one ever says they’re from Wyoming. It sort of just came out because it was the last thing I heard when I turned off my car. Speaking of cars, did you see what was in our parking lot this morning?” Ted asks us, practically jumping up and down.

 

“I went out to watch the ‘Michael limping for sympathy’ show, but yeah seeing a MacTaylor really made my day. Did you figure out why he came here?” Cynthia asks Ted.

 

“He said he wasn’t here for business, then left. I forgot to get his name.” Ted tells her.

 

“Leeland MacAllister, part owner of MacTaylor.” Cynthia tells us. “Learn to read more than accounting magazines, Ted. Leeland, and his partner Cole, started the company with the trust funds they inherited, they wanted to prove they were more than airheaded heirs of their families. That came from a gossip rag, which I read for entertainment purposes only. They built the first car and sold it to a movie director, who in turn used it in a movie. Everyone wanted one but they didn’t want it to become one of thousands of cars but one that was built for people who were serious about their cars. There is a rumor they are about to add affordable cars and mass produce them, but right now it’s folklore. I thought maybe he came here because even though the line would sell, they were doing something that would need advertising this time.” She tells us.

 

“The individual cars never need them?” Emmett asks.

 

“No. But more because they are sold before they are made, but if they used an ad firm, they could have tripled their orders. The consumer they lean towards likes to see what they can’t have, and would’ve tried to outbid the original buyer.” I tell him.

 

“The other partner, Cole, is stubborn, he doesn’t even let the buyer change the color. He stated in an article that each design and color were designed to make the car stand out.” She tells us.

 

“It’s why Brian never went after the account, he knew he couldn’t win it.” Ted tells them.

 

“Want to make a bet on that Ted? I win and you get to answer for Cynthia when Deb calls.” I tell him.

 

“Why not, it’s a bet you’ll lose. I win and you donate to Blake’s clinic. They need a new building.” Ted tells me.

 

“When I win, I’ll even throw in half the amount, just because Blake is the better half of you two.” I smirk, suddenly feeling like I have a purpose for getting up every morning.

 

JUSTIN

 

Quinn came in the kitchen, hanging all over Daphne, the two of them make me miss Brian. They both forget anyone exists when they see each other. I moved out of the way when they almost ran into me, still attached at the lips.

 

“Sorry, we didn’t see you.” Daphne tells me, pushing Quinn into a chair and turns to me.

 

“I was thinking of getting my own place. I’m sure you both would like your privacy back.” I tell them.

 

“It’s fine, I didn’t want you to be alone until you were ready.” Daphne tells me.

 

“I ended a relationship that wasn’t going to go anywhere, not learned I was dying.” I tell her.

 

“You loved the guy. I know I would want you to help me if I left Quinn.” Daphne tells me.

 

“We don’t say anything that doesn’t include Daphne wants to spend the rest of her life with Quinn.” Quinn tells her.

 

“Of course…” Daphne then lost all ability to speak when she turned to see Quinn holding a ring.

 

I knew it was time to let them have their home, for the family Quinn dreamed of in his head. I kissed Daphne’s head, and patted Quinn’s back before leaving them to celebrate the life they were about to head into. I got in my car and rested my head on the steering wheel. When would he stop being the only thing I wanted? I tried to stop comparing the few men I agreed to date to Brian, but I couldn’t stop myself, so I quit dating. I argued it was too soon, and still can’t see a time when he’ll just be someone I could leave in my past and move on.

 

There were so many times I wanted to drive to Pittsburgh, it’s not like I was that far from him. It’s why Pittsburgh shocked me, we’d been a state away from each other and never knew because we didn’t talk about it. I had family that lived in Harrisburg and drove there from West Virginia often. I’ve even been to Pittsburgh for dinner with Daphne’s family. Yet neither of us talked about places where the other had been, Brian didn’t mind talking about the places we went on vacation before we met, but if it ventured into revealing where he was from, the barbed wire appeared and he fucked the conversation closed. I know why I never went to Pittsburgh to confront him, I didn’t want him looking through me and acting like I once again crossed a line he set at the beginning.

 

At the office, I picked up my messages from Molly, then tried to get past her before she cornered me out of concern.

 

“So, Mom called and said as her children, we get to shop for her wedding with her. I told her of course we would, because she deserves to be pampered. Be ready to go in a hour.” She orders me.

 

“I have things to do.” I argued.

 

“Nope, because Lee took the day off and said he changed your password on your computer and won't change it back until Mom is happy.” She tells me.

 

“He'll cave once I get a hold of him.” I tell her.

 

“Which he knows, so he left town.” She enjoyed telling me.

 

“I'll pay for whatever Mom wants, but I'm staying here. I need to look for a place, Quinn proposed to Daphne.” I tell her.

 

“I'll let him know it was about time, but you don’t get out of helping Mom. She deserves to be happy after dad died.” She tells me.

 

“How do you manage to guilt me when no one else can?” I ask her, hugging my vibrant sister.

 

“I'm cute, and nobody likes to disappoint the baby of this family.” She tells me, dragging me back out the door.

 

“Where is she making us shop?” I ask.

 

“Some boutique a friend of hers raved about. Apparently the owner doesn’t just plan fabulous weddings.” She tells me.

 

“Tell me he isn’t gay and you and Mom aren't trying to hook me up.” I beg.

 

“Why would you think we'd do that?” She asks, as if they didn't try every time they met a gay man, who would be ‘perfect for me’.

 

“Just to get it out of the way, I'm not interested.” I tell her.

 

“That's good, because the guy’s boyfriend would most likely show you why other football players run from him.” She tells me, trying to take my keys to drive my car.

 

“No one drives Britin.” I remind her.  

 

LINDSAY

 

Gus and I were running around so I could get things for the dinner I planned for Mel and me. Brian, as usual, wanted to spend time with Gus, and said that Mel and I needed to have nights where we could do all the lesbian shit we did. I had my bags stored in Gus’s stroller and was going to look at an outfit to drive Mel nuts tonight when there was Michael, walking around as if he forgot to limp.

 

He made me want to beat his ass for using the accident to bludgeon Brian with. I thought if only Brian could see this Michael, he might stop giving in to him. I looked down at Gus who had my phone laying next to him, and wondered when I forgot my phone has a camera. I smiled as I picked it up and started recording until Michael hopped into a car without the usual fear we all see when Brian or Deb is around. I could show Brian, but right now he still wants to believe Michael wouldn’t do something like that to him.

 

No one would understand why I’m angry at what Michael is doing, but it’s because I can see it as something I would have done when I first met Brian. I was still trying to figure out if I liked women or men, which in truth, I love both. I thought if I could, then Brian didn’t have to just want men, but women too. He drove the women in college crazy because he was unattainable, but made the exception one night for me. Until the morning after, I spent my time believing he was the man I loved more than anyone. The morning after, like any morning after, the blinders were off and what we did was fucking, nothing to do with love. I let him become what he’d been the whole time, my best friend. When I met Mel, any thoughts of Brian being the man my family would approve of ended, because Mel was everything Brian couldn’t be for me.

 

When the accident happened I was angry, because Brian was screwing his life up, not because Michael got hurt. I didn’t like Michael, because I knew he did things to keep Brian from seeing the shit for who he is. Deb likes to believe Michael is this caring man who looks after everyone. I think it’s funny how only when Michael does something that pisses her off, does she take off her blinders where Michael is concerned. It only lasts until one of the guys does anything that upsets Michael, then she forgets and mama bear comes out again. Which, maybe seeing the proof will get her eyes to open to her son. With that in mind, I decide Mel never needed an outfit for me to drive her wild, just me.

 

We got to the diner and I wasn’t thrilled that Michael was already there rubbing his legs and getting Deb in her ‘Brian owes his life for hurting her baby’ mode. I sat down and decided it was time to bring out the WASP that I learned from the ice queen.

 

“Did you hurt yourself? I saw you in town and you didn’t seem to be having a problem running around and jumping into a cab. I almost went to see if you needed me to help you in the cab since cars scare you, but you didn’t have any problems, you know, like you do when Brian and Deb are around.” I tell him.

 

“I wasn’t in town, like I told Ma I had to rest and went to my apartment.” He tells me with a pained look, rubbing both his leg and head.

 

“Lindsay, can’t you see Michael is hurting?” Deb asks, coming over and rubbing his temples for him.

 

“It’s fine Ma, she thought I was running around town, but like everyone knows, I can’t do that without help.” He tells her.

 

My phone was burning but I knew Deb would ignore what she sees as long as Michael was around to make excuses. My inner bitch wasn’t happy, because he won this round. I grabbed my purse and looked through it while Deb practically ripped Michael’s scalp massaging it, probably giving him a real headache. I found the bottle I was looking for, deciding it was time to get rid of the bag pretending to be a purse, when I found the diaper cream I couldn’t find in Gus’s diaper bag.

 

“I was saving this for Brian, since his headaches are adult sized but I can get him more.” I tell Michael handing him the Excedrin I keep to deal with Michael’s bitching. “Off to show Mel that I appreciate the things she does for me. I never want her to feel like it’s only what I want that’s important.” I throw at both of them.

 

“No one should ever feel that way, good for you.” Deb tells me, missing the point.

 

I got outside and looked at Gus, who everyday looked more like my best friend. “Mommy’s trying to help, but they just don’t get it.” I tell him. Gus wrinkled his nose, agreeing. “Make your daddy’s day, while I take care of Mama for you.” I kiss him and take off to Kinnetik.

 

MEL

 

I heard a voice I hadn’t heard in years outside my office. Leeland MacAllister, in the flesh, was standing there. I jumped into his arms, as he caught me knowing it would happen.

 

“I figured I look you up since Leda told me you settled here.” He tells me.

 

“It feels like a lifetime since I last saw you.” I tell him, pecking his lips.

 

Leeland was the one man who made me think I wasn’t entirely opposed to the opposite sex. It’s something Lindsay never knew, because when I met her Leeland became a man who, like Brian for her, would never be more than a life I couldn’t have. I wonder how he and Lindsay would get along. Leeland didn’t believe in limiting himself to one sex, but was open to the possibilities. He was the one who, if I had a child, I would want as the father, but never contacted because Brian was who Lindsay wanted. I will never regret that decision because Gus was the result.

 

“How about I take you to lunch and you tell me about this family you managed, when you used preach you’d never live in the burb’s.” He teases me.

 

“You could come to dinner tonight, Lindsay and I were going to eat in. I could invite the guys in our lives. I want you to meet the love of my life, and Lindsay too.” I joke.

 

“Sure, I’m sort of hiding from my partner right now. He’s going to kick my ass for being here. I can at least lie and say it was to meet up with you.” Leeland laughs.








 

Chapter 4 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I meant to write all the other stories to but this one keeped me writing and got all my attention today. Just because I hate waiting I'm posting four and five tonight. 

JUSTIN


Fucking Pittsburgh for a wedding dress? We could afford Paris, and Mom chooses Pittsburgh? It was just mind blowing, she runs to fashion shows in New York, Milan, and Paris for fun, but is in Pittsburgh for her wedding. The women in my life never make sense. The planner comes in, distracted, but perked up when he saw my mother.


“My favorite client, here to cheer me up.” He tells her, hugging her. “Who do we have here, and where did that fabulous car in my parking lot come from, I've never seen one like it?” He asks, looking at me.


“My son, Justin graced me with his presence today. Justin calls the car Britin, we just say it's his vanity because he designed it. Justin this is Emmett, the man saving my sanity.” Mom gushes.


He looked taken aback for a second, but shook it off and led us to the dressing rooms. “Are we dressing Justin too?” He asks Mom.


“I have what I'm wearing. Make sure my mother feels like a princess. Nothing she wants is out of the question.” I tell him.


“Baby, you should really be careful, I can do a lot with that statement.” He tells me.


“Take it as my mother gets the wedding she wants.” I tell him.


“Betty has the dress, so go try it on. Justin can show me the car.” Emmett tells us.


We got outside and I already knew Emmett didn’t know cars, when he said it was pretty. My car was everything gearheads drool over, so when pretty came out, I just thanked him without rolling my eyes.


“I know nothing about cars, but my boyfriend is a car guy. It’s just, this reminds me of a car I saw earlier, but Teddy, my best friend told me the car I saw was rare. Since I’m now seeing two cars that I can’t name, I wondered about how it’s possible.” He tells me.


“Don’t tell me, the car’s paint job changed with the light, dark purple to black, am I right?” I ask, ready to kick Lee’s ass.


“I’m I supposed to answer?” He asks.


“Where did you see him?” I ask, closing my eyes, shaking my head, and hoping I wasn’t right.


“At my friends building, Kinnetik. Teddy and Brian work in advertising.” He tells me, just adding to the things Brian never told me. But then, I never told him the car he told me was his dream car was my design, either.


“Can you tell my mom and sister that I can’t stay here?” I tell him, needing to leave before I ran to Brian.


“Brian doesn’t sleep much, but when he does he dreams about getting you back. Nothing that worked for him before works now, the drinking, drugs, and tricks didn’t make him forget you. He needs you.” Emmett tells me.


“Which would mean more to me if he had ever once told me anything about himself, or his life.” I tell him, getting in and speeding off.


EMMETT


I fucked that up, but you don’t hurt like that if you don’t still love someone. I went in and told Betty to have Darren take over. I needed to get the boys together, we needed to help these two find a way back to each other. Ted tried to say Brian would fire him for leaving, but all I had to say was I met Justin. I called Drew and asked what he knew about the cars everyone was talking about and had him saying he was on the list too. Why didn’t I pay attention to my brothers? Apparently cars were to Drew what fashion is to Brian.


“How do you know it’s the right guy?” Teddy asked, as he came into my house.


“He told me. By not denying he knew Brian when I told him what Brian’s been like.” I tell them.


“How do we find him again?” Blake asks.


“You know the bet you made? Well I think Brian is going to be surprised at who he meets. I need to find out why Justin wasn’t mentioned by Cynthia when she talked about the MacTaylor corporation.” I tell Teddy.


“The owners are Leeland MacAllister and Cole Taylor, maybe Justin works there.” Ted tells me.


“Ted, he told me that NOTHING his mother wanted for her wedding mattered, cost not being a problem. Only people who could afford to say that would.” I tell him.


“Maybe ask his mother, I’m sure she’d tell you.” Blake tells me.


“Tell Cynthia she’s slacking. Cole’s name is listed, without his first name, which is, any guesses? Justin. And he has family in Harrisburg, which Emmett knows since he’s doing the wedding for her.” Drew smirks from his laptop.


LINDSAY


Mel called all excited and told me to pretty please let us invite everyone over to meet her friend. I giggled as she told me he was her Brian, before she met me. I was already on my way to see Brian, and told Mel I’d get him and Ted to invite everyone to dinner. I’d even make sure to induce Brian by using Gus. It was the one guilt that didn’t bother me, because Brian was thrilled to spend time with Gus. I called to have dinner catered, since the guys hate all things vegan. It sort of made me happy that we wouldn’t be including Michael tonight. Mel hates Michael more than she used to hate, well dislike, Brian.


I waved to Cynthia, who nodded that I could go in. She agreed with Mel and I about Michael and we all sort of became friends out of mutual agreement that Brian needed help. When we walked in Brian got up and pulled Gus out of his stroller, ignoring me to talk to his son. I didn’t mind, because our son was getting what we couldn’t from our families.


“Mel’s got a friend in town so we wanted to have you and the guys over to meet him.” I tell him.


“I’m not interested.” Brian tells me.


“We aren’t setting you up, I know better. Mel just seemed really excited and wanted the gang to meet her friend, I think she said his name was Leeland MacAllister.” I tell him, suddenly getting all of Brian’s attention.


“I wouldn’t want to upset Mel. I’ll call the guys.” He tells me.


“We don’t want Michael there.” I tell him.


“Linds…”


“It won’t work on me, he is not my friend or yours. You need to stop seeing the fourteen year old kid who took you home to his house so you could avoid yours, and see him and what he’s doing to you. In fact, I’ll send you something and if you're willing to look then maybe it will wake you up.” I tell him sending him the video.


He watched, but as usual excused it like he always did. “He has good days too.” Brian tells me, making me want to roll my eyes. Where did the man I know go?


“Then respect that Mel and I don’t want Michael over, trying to be the center of attention.” I tell him.


“You know if he finds out I’m not in Wyoming, he’ll show up regardless of not being invited.” I tell her.


“Wyoming?” I ask.


“Ted’s idea. Apparently you never meet anyone from Wyoming.” He tells me, like that makes sense.


“I need to go pick up the order for the dinner we are having, want to come with me?” I ask, to keep him from not coming tonight.


“Why not, Cynthia will quit if Michael shows up again.” He tells me.


“Strange coming from Michael’s PA, or at least that’s how Michael sees it.” I tell him, walking out as Cynthia glares at me for that comment. “We’re having dinner at my house if you don’t have plans.” I tell her.


“My boyfriend said he was going to make up to me for Brian making me deal with Michael. He says guys are jackasses when it comes to childhood friends.” She tells us, as I drag Brian out so he can’t reply with his usual sarcasm.


“I should have told Cynthia if I win the bet, she has to kiss Michael’s ass for a month.” Brian tells me.


“Michael has you, Ted, and Emmett for that, which is just how he wants it.” I tell him.


“Lindsay, I know he can be hard to take, but let him go, he needed me to help him.” Brian tells me.


“Keep believing it, it means Michael wins and you became spineless.” I tell him, pissed.


“Maybe I should just watch Gus, apparently…” Brian stops, looking at a guy staring back at him.


“Brian?” I ask, staring between them.


The other guy runs when Brian started towards him and jumped in a waiting cab, leaving Brian in the middle of the street. I had to pull him to the sidewalk, I’ve never seen Brian like this, totally gutted. Not even sitting in the waiting room waiting for news on Michael did he look like this.


“I can’t come. Tell Ted he wins.” Brian says, almost defeated.


“I’m fucking done with the kid gloves, you will come and you will be the Brian Kinney your son needs you to be. I will not accept whatever this is!” I yell at him, scaring Gus.


Brian nodded, looking at me like he wasn’t sure who the woman standing in front of him was. “We’ll find him Brian, and this time you let him in, do you understand? Give him the parts of you left out and he didn’t know.” I tell him.


“Mel told you?” He asks.


“No. I know you, and I know the look on your face told me whoever that was gave you a minute of happiness before he ran off.” I tell him.


“His name is Justin and he’s the only man who I would chase.” He admits.


“Why didn’t you?” I ask.


“I never let him tell me his full name. I wanted him free of me and it was the only way I could let him go when I disappointed him. Which I did every time he asked anything.” He tells me.


LEE


I silenced my phone but couldn’t silence the texts Justin was sending letting me know that he was going to tear apart my car. Mel was puzzled as my phone went off every ten seconds and I didn’t answer. I turned it off when Justin started texting ‘SLEDGEHAMMERS WERE DESIGNED TO MAKE THINGS UNRECOGNIZABLE’. A blonde woman came in with a baby and wouldn’t you know it, Brian Fucking Kinney. Then came the two guys with dates, one of which was Drew Boyd. I went over to talk to Drew, who I’d met when he registered for a car.


“Hey, they didn’t tell me it was you here.” Drew tells me, shaking my hand.


“Mel calls me Lee like all my friends, well unless I do something to piss her off.” I tell him.


“Sorry, I can’t do this tonight.” Brian tells us, walking out the door, before anyone could stop him.


“Something wrong with Brian, Lindsay?” Mel asks.


“I might have pissed him off when I said things about Michael. Only I think it’s more to do with the guy who he saw, someone named Justin.” She tells Mel, making me worry about how Justin took seeing Brian.


“Fuck! He said he was over Brian.” I said without thinking.


“We already know.” Drew tells me.


“Then you know that Justin doesn’t need someone who can fuck around on his partner and kid.” I tell him.


“Justin had a partner and kid?” Ted asks, confused.


“No. Brian and that whiny guy in your office, you remember the kid too right? He said his name was Gussy.” I tell him, sarcastic as hell.


I didn’t expect them all to slowly start laughing, and it took a while for them to stop. “Lee, meet Gussy, Lindsay, Brian, and my son. No one else's.” Mel says, when she managed to stop laughing.


BRIAN


I left my car in the middle of Liberty Avenue and just started walking past the club, Woody’s, and the guys offering anything to get my attention. I knew when Justin was anywhere, and six months didn’t change it. That was why I looked around me. He stood like in my dream, stone faced, and left so I couldn’t catch him. I couldn’t pretend I was impervious, when the man who still six months later, leaves a hole in my world. I didn’t go to the loft, but back to my car when I reached the end of Liberty Avenue. I drove to the house I bought with the idea one day I would let Justin in. I planned to sleep in my car, refusing to enter the home that I would only use if Justin was there.


JUSTIN


Lee finally answered me, but with some address saying to put aside my drama queen and check it out. I sent him my middle finger but my curiosity got the better of me. I got up and walked out of the diner, after meeting the man Brian was screwing around on with me. Michael made it apparent to everyone trying to eat that Brian was in trouble for not coming home tonight. And he was telling everyone to make sure they all tell Brian he better come home tonight.


It made me wonder how Brian’s taste was so varied. Michael was nothing like me. I guess when you’re the one they cheat with, they don’t want to be reminded of the one they're cheating on. I took my car from the lot I parked in when I went to see Brian, and drove towards home, since the address Lee was sending me to was almost there. When I got to the address there was a car in the driveway. I parked behind it before going to the door of the house. I was going to text Lee to ask why I was here, when I heard Brian behind me.


“Tell me you’re real.” Brian begged.



Chapter 5 by starlight
Author's Notes:

The way I ended four would have made me want to kill the author so you get five to keep me breathing. LOL

BRIAN


I managed to sleep, no matter how uncomfortable it was in my car. I dreamed, as always, of Justin, only it was us with a busy intersection keeping either of us from being able to reach the other. I kept screaming for him to wait and I'd find a way to get to him, but he kept screaming we'd never find a way to be together.


My dream changed to the house I bought and Justin walking by my car, like a ghost. Well, one cursing like a sailor about cryptic messages. It seemed real, and even if it was a dream, there was nothing blocking my way to him. I opened my car door quietly, afraid that any noise would make him vanish, the way he does in every dream.


Even though I knew it was a dream I needed to believe for one minute he was real. “Tell me you're real?” I ask.


He didn’t answer, but didn't run when I pulled him to me. It wasn’t a dream. He was a solid person in my arms. I couldn’t let him talk because I needed more, so I silenced him with my lips, and managed to get us into the house before he realized we weren’t outside anymore. As always when we hadn’t seen each other for a while, the clothes disappeared and we couldn't get enough of each other. Justin rolled me over, swallowing me the way he always did, making it hard not to cum because he knew exactly what to do to get his favorite appetizer. I came in seconds, but when Justin was naked my cock stayed hard and wanting.


“Justin…”


“Don’t. You never wanted conversation.” He tells me, as he pulled out the condom and mounted me.


I gave him his wish as he rode me hard, but wasn’t going to be passive. It was something neither of us could do. We were animalistic at fucking. I grabbed his hips and slammed into him from below, listening to him curse and moan for me to make him feel me for days. Then flipped us over, never losing the rhythm that he and I perfected. I held his hands over his head as I slammed home over and over, waiting for him to cum, not touching himself. When he did, I pulled out and put him on his hands and knees, entering him again. Only this time I slowed down, savoring his body quivering from being over sensitive. As each thrust rubbed his prostate he became harder, and told me to fuck him, not play at it. We both came again after I gave him what he wanted. We laid quietly for a few minutes before he tried to get up and leave. I caged him under me, because he didn't get to keep running away.


“We need to talk.” I tell him.


“It's against your rules, and this shouldn't have happened.” He tells me, trying to break free.


“This happens because neither of us knows how to stop it.” I tell him.


“I’ve found the perfect way.” He snaps.


“To pack up and run like you always do when I don’t tell you what you want.” I sneered.


“Nope, just three words was all it took to have you running back to the life you hid from me. I can’t forgive a man who cheats on his family.” He tells me, leaving me at a loss as to what he's talking about.


He got free and grabbed his shirt. He wasn't getting to make another dramatic exit, so I grabbed his pants and sat on them. I'll give it Justin, he will try even when he knows he can't win.


“Your boyfriend sent a message for you to go home, now give me my pants, you cheating piece of shit.” He tells me.


“Not until you explain what the fuck you're talking about.” I tell him, grabbing him and wrestling him back under me.


“I can’t. Remember, no explanations allowed.” He tells me, looking away from me.


“Look at me.” I demanded. “Fucking look and demand the answers.” I yelled at him when he closed his eyes to keep from looking at me.


He opened his eyes and they were pissed. “You want me to demand answers? That would take expecting you to answer anything. Which, after two fucking years I got tired of hitting a brick wall and the barbed wire that tore a piece of my soul. I fucking hate you for making me into someone afraid to say anything you didn’t want to hear. Which you proved when when I said, I love you.” He tells me, letting the tears fall that he held back with anger.


“I fucking love you too. That’s what I should have said.” I leaned my head against his so we couldn’t not look at each other.


“I can’t rip a family apart, don’t ask me to.” He tells me.


“Tell me why you keep saying that?” I ask.


“Children need their families whole.” He tell me.


“This is about my son?” I ask, not sure how Justin knew. “Wait. Did you say my boyfriend?” I ask, when I thought back to everything he’d said. He nodded, not saying anything. “You're the only person in my life I’ve ever considered for the role of boyfriend, or partner. There isn’t any family, well Lindsay and Mel are my sons mothers, but other than that, there’s no one else.” I tell him when he waits for me to explain. “The blonde woman I was with, she’s the mother of my son Gus, and Mel is her wife. They wanted a child and I promised Lindsay I’d do it when they wanted a child.” I tell him.


“Then who is Michael?” He asks, the one question I never wanted him to ask.


“No one you need to worry about.” I tell him, watching him erect the walls he learned to build.


He shoved me off, proving he could have the whole time. He grabbed his pants and didn’t wait to put them on and ran out of the house and into his car. I stood watching as he peeled off, with his wallet in my hand. No more hiding for Justin. I closed and locked the door to our house and realized something, he drove away in the car I told him was on my dream list. Who the fuck is Justin?


I got in the my car and saw my phone was going off. Michael had called nonstop since I left Kinnetik. His last text scared me.


“I fell, I think I might have broken the bone in my leg the doctor told us wouldn’t completely heal. I need you.”


As much as I wanted my life with Justin, I needed to get to Michael and help him. During the drive to get Michael, I let the thought invade that Michael could have called Deb or any of the guys. I called Emmett to see if Michael called him.


“He hasn’t called me or Ted, we just left the girls house. I need to talk to you, it might help you with Justin.” He tells me.


“Tell Ted he’s fired.” I snapped.


“One thing at a time. I’ll check on Michael since Deb is still at the diner. I just passed. What did he say was wrong?” Emmett asks, ignoring my anger that they were gossiping about a subject I told Ted and Mel to leave alone.


“He said he might have broken his leg, again.” I tell him, letting my anger wait for Ted and Mel.


“We’re almost to his apartment, I’ll call you when I get there.” He tells me, hanging up.


EMMETT


Drew hates dealing with Michael, but after what we figured out talking to our new friend Lee, he didn’t growl when I told him we needed to see if Michael hurt himself. Drew came with me to the apartment. I unlocked the door because with a broken leg Michael couldn’t get to the door. I wanted to say it surprised me to see Michael wandering around the apartment on two perfectly good legs, but it didn’t. Only Lindsay’s video gave me a way to get Brian to pay attention, and not brush it off. I turned and kissed Drew whispering to record everything on the phone attached to his ear.


“Hold on, I got a text coming in.” Drew told Ted, then turned on the camera after hanging up and looking at the phone like he was reading a text, facing so Michael would be somewhat in the video if I kept him from walking around too much.


“What are you and Drew doing here?” Michael asks, without a limp or any sign of pain.


“We were thinking of going out to Babylon and since Brian’s not in town, thought you might want to come.” I tell him.


“Did he really leave town and not tell me?” Michael asks, pissed.


“It was business, which helps pay for all the extra therapy you tell him you need.” I say, without showing what I think of the fact that there was nothing wrong with Michael.


“I guess I could go, since Brian won’t be here.” He tells me.


“Are you sure, I mean I wouldn’t want you to hurt your leg or anything. What am I saying, we could stand at the bar while you rest your legs.” I tell him.


“I’m fine, and dancing sounds like just what the doctor ordered.” He tells me, showing me some moves that didn’t remind me of any dancing I’ve ever seen, at least from a human.


“Emmett, we need to cancel, the coach just texted that he wants all of us at the stadium. One of the guys got arrested tonight for lying.” Drew tells me, glaring at Michael.


“Emmett and I can go out.” Michael offers.


“Nope. Apparently they want our partners there so they don’t end up surprised if we get caught.” Drew tells him, hauling me out the door.


I waited till we were in the car and sent the video to Brian before turning to Drew. “Should I worry you can lie without any tells?” I joke.


“Emmett, I was a gay football player, in the closet, with a woman who believed I was straight. Lying came naturally, until you.” He tells me.


“Good answer, now I face the lion.” I tell him, calling Brian.


“Kinnetik, in an hour.” Brian tells me hanging up.


“Kinnetik.” I tell Drew.


“Hopefully he listens, because I really like Brian and would hate to kick his ass if he pisses you off.” Drew tells me.


“He’ll thank me, after wanting to kick my gossiping ass.” I tell him, calling Ted and Blake just in case I need help restraining Drew and Brian.


BRIAN


I was already at Kinnetik when Emmett sent the video of the manipulative asshole to me. I needed a minute or days to calm down. He was supposed to be my best friend, and I wanted to find a reason he would pull this bullshit, other than what everyone keeps telling me. I wanted him to pay for once again pulling me away from Justin, but I also didn’t want to believe my best friend was doing what everyone said he was. It’s a bond that means wanting the best for the other person, not using guilt to jail them. I called him my jailor, but never wanted to believe he was. I picked up my phone, wanting to shatter it for showing me a truth I wouldn’t let myself believe. Instead I called my other jailor.


“Deb, sorry to call you at work and interrupt, but Michael texted me saying he broke his leg. I’m out of town and don’t want to leave him in pain.” I tell her, and get hung up on.


Hopefully, he can explain how his leg is healed and the video I sent a minute later. I opened the wallet I stole from Justin and read the name and address on the driver’s license. “Cole, you have a lot to explain. And so do I.” I whispered.


I pulled up MacTaylor’s web site and looked at the man who could buy and sell Kinnetik if he got bored. Then tried to look him up to see if there was any history I could find out about him. I wanted to know the man I spent two years loving but never bothered to ask anything about, outside of us. What I found out was Justin’s family protected their kids from the media. There were articles with the family but never a picture of any of the children of Jennifer Andrews-Taylor, the daughter of Cole Andrews, a man who knew every leader of the world and most likely put them in office. I doubt he’d be thrilled at my family tree, but then, I never gave a damn or let anything get in my way.


I heard the gaggle that is Ted and Emmett, most likely with Drew to keep Emmett in one piece. Emmett, as usual, didn’t give me a chance to say anything.


“Justin goes by Cole Taylor and owns the car company everyone’s betting over. Apparently he saw you in the Pittsburgh paper since he only lives barely over West Virginia border and since his best girl lived in Pittsburgh, she keeps the paper for news. Why? Couldn’t tell you, since Pittsburgh news tends on the depressing side. Anyway, Justin saw the pictures of Michael acting like you two were a couple and since, according to Lee, you were a bit closed mouth about anything that could explain Pittsburgh, Michael, or the baby you were holding, to Justin. Justin assumed he was the other man in your life. Being the kind man, according to Lee, that Justin is, he walked away before he did anything to split up your marriage, relationship, or whatever Justin thought was going on with Michael. Which came from watching his friend Daphne’s reaction when she found out she’d been dating a married man, and he never wanted to be the person who felt the way Daphne did when the wife confronted her with two children. So, Lee is going to find the love of your life and explain it to him and then you’ll finally stop growling at everyone.” He tells me, smiling at making it through the whole speech without me knocking the shit out of him for knowing anything.


“Tell your new best friend that Justin and I will solve this without anyone doing it for us. We fucked this up together and we will fix it together even if I have to kidnap his ass and make him hear the things I never wanted him to know about me.” I tell him.


“I don’t understand why you didn’t want him to know anything. Brian, you’re a good man who gives everything to the people you care about.” Blake tells me.


“I drink, fuck anything, take anything that keeps me from remembering my shitty childhood, and almost killed the person I call my best friend. What makes you think I would want the man I love to look at the monster I am.” I tell him.


“Because none of that is the man who loves my son and would die for him. Brian Kinney, the man I know, would take a bullet for the dyke who treated you like an enemy because my wife loved a gay man at one time. But yet, Brian Kinney never once did anything but help me when my relationship was in trouble. Instead he gave me his son and trusted that I would love our son the way our families never loved us. That makes you anything but the monster we all let you play to keep us happy. If Justin had the sense to love you, then for once someone really saw you for the person you have always been to all of us. Don’t let him believe anything but the truth, by telling him everything that makes you the best father Gus could have.” Mel tells me, in tears.


“Now Smelly Melly, why aren’t you this passionate in court, you might win.” I tease her, because a crying lesbian is not something I’m used to.


“Fuck off asshole.” She tells me, hugging me.


“Um, can one of you?” I ask, pointing at Mel.


“Deal with it.” Emmett tells me, joining in the hugging shit and damn it Lindsay had to bring Gus and join in.

 

Chapter 6 The Return of Brian Kinney by starlight

JUSTIN


I didn’t know where I was going when I sped off, but jail wasn’t where I wanted to be. I didn’t want to call my mother and tell her I got pulled over for seeing that my car could go a hundred and twenty down a highway and the cop wasn’t really listening to my need to get away from anything. I gave in and called Lee, since he caused this by leading me to Brian.


It was strange, but sitting in a cell with a drunk five years past his last bath made the chaotic thoughts disappear, since the smell about killed me. I promised Lee that I would listen when the person he was sending to get me came. Of course he had no clue that it was the promise made by a man desperate to get to clean air. Plus, I lost my wallet somewhere and couldn’t bail myself out of this shit. I’m sure my grandfather will disown my ass for making it to jail, when no one in my family managed to sink this low. I really need to figure out how Quinn talked himself out of riding in with the cops the many times they pulled his ass over for speeding. Now I just want to beat my head against a wall. Why didn’t I call him and Daphne? I wouldn’t need to bargain my way out because Daphne would kick my ass as she bailed me out. The drunk turned over and it’s like the smell just got closer. So you might say I ran when they told me I made bail, then I saw who was waiting and decided the smell wasn’t that bad.


“I think I’d rather stay.” I tell the cop, turning around to head back.


“Why Cole? Didn't you say you wanted to talk?” Brian smirked, the fucker.


“Not to the noncommutative bastard I lived with for two years. Go to your boyfriend.” I tell him.


“I am with my boyfriend, it just seems that when my boyfriend doesn’t want to communicate, he runs.” Brian tells me.


“Excuse me, the last I checked the only thing you communicate with is your dick. So sue me if I can’t seem to find it in myself to believe anything that doesn’t involve you fucking.” I tell him.


“He’s a bit mouthy.” The cop tells Brian.


“Someone had to talk, since the thing we called a relationship communicated in grunts and groans with a little 'fuck me harder' thrown in.” I tell the cop, who looks like he’d rather be anywhere but here.


“He stopped trying to find out anything. The only time he said anything was when he was too tired out from me fucking his brains into a coma.” Brian tells him.


“Um, you can go you know.” The cop tells me.


“He shut me down because he didn’t want to admit he was cheating on his family. The whole time he never once told me where he lived or anything beyond what we were going to do when we saw each other. Which could have been summed up in ‘Justin get naked, Justin bend over, and Justin cum’.” I tell the cop.


“Sorry Brian, but that does sound like someone hiding that they’re married.” The cop finally gets it.


“How the fuck do you get MARRIED from any of that?” Brian asked the cop.


“It’s what cheaters do, keep anything that could connect the mistress or whatever you call a guy, from knowing he’s the other man.” The cop tells him.


“Thank you, see even… what’s your name?” I ask.


“Carl.” He tells me.


“See, Carl knows.” I tell Brian.


“The guy you're so fixated on is the person who I called my best friend. He is NOT my boyfriend, partner, or anything else you could make up. Until I met you I was taking care of him because he and I were in an accident and it took years before he could walk again. He wants to believe that because he was driving us home after I was too wasted to drive, I owe him more than the friendship we had. I spent years feeling guilty because if I hadn’t been drunk, Michael wouldn’t have been driving and I would have been in the driver’s seat where all the damage to my jeep happened. You want to know why I didn’t want you to know anything about me? Because I fucked anyone, drank in ways even the bastard who beat me my entire childhood couldn’t compete with me on, and never wanted the bullshit in my life to touch you. Is that enough to at least get us out of here?” Brian growls.


“Son, even I see why he wouldn’t want to talk about it.” Carl tells me.


“Traitor.” I tell Carl, stomping past Brian. “I want my car.” I yelled as I walked out.


DEB


I ran all the way, my son could be in pain and alone. I didn’t even knock but ran in, as my phone went off. I didn’t look at it because Michael was more important. Michael was busy in the kitchen, pacing and bitching that Brian wouldn’t answer when he told him he was hurt. The ‘Michael’ on my lips died as I watched him kick the cabinet not even wincing in pain. Well, until he saw me, then he rubbed his leg and limped to a chair.


“Hey Ma, I thought you were working.” He grimaces.


“I came to make sure you had dinner.” I tell him, not telling him Brian called me.


“I ate, but if you want I can again. Maybe it will get my mind off the spasms.” He tells me sadly.


“At least Brian isn’t here to see you in pain. I really feel horrible for taking it out on Brian. Like you said, it was an accident.” I tell him, sending a sorry to Brian.


“Brian promised to help me, but I guess his clients come before me. He would have been the one hurt if it wasn’t for me.” Michael tells me.


“Which we remind him of constantly.” I said, facing the stove, hating that I helped Michael.


“I never meant for him to feel guilty, Ma. I kept telling you that we shouldn’t blame Brian, but you and everyone else did. I was the only one that let him know I didn’t blame him.” He tells me, and there was the first truth in Michael’s words.


It took everything I had not to smash the sandwich I put in front of my son. I reminded myself that I helped him in making Brian feel like he caused the accident, not the guy who didn’t get someone sober to drive him home. “Eat up, you want Brian to know he could leave and you’d be fine.” I gritted through my teeth. “I need to get back, call if you fall and break anything.” I tell him, seeing him confused at my words before I closed the door and kicked the opposite wall. God damn it, I think I broke my toe.


BRIAN


Carl, the helpful cop he was, gave me the keys to Justin’s car, the fucking one Justin knew I wanted. Justin was standing next to the driver’s door with his hands out for the keys. “Oh, did I mention my friends dropped me off, so we have to drive together.” I tell him.


“Oh, you have friends?” He asks, sarcastically.


“Why yes, one who happens to be planning your mother’s wedding. You know, Emmett of the ‘pretty car’.” I tell him, pushing him away as I unlock the car.


“Only I drive Britin.” He tells me.


“Why did you name your car Britain?” I ask, to distract him and get in the driver’s seat, locking him out.


Justin came around, not happy but opened the door and sat, then smirked at me.


“What?” I ask.


“Just waiting, go ahead start her up.” Justin tells me.


I tried, but the engine didn’t turn over. Nothing happened. “I’m disappointed, so much money on a tinker toy.” I tell him.


“He didn’t mean it Britin, show him what you have girl.” Justin tells me, and flips the key towards me and back as the engine revs like a beast. All the cops walking to or from their cars stopped to stare. “No one who knows cars can do anything but stare at you.” Justin talks to the car.


“Justin, even I can’t say it’s normal to talk to your car.” I tell him.


“I had to have someone to talk to when you wouldn’t.” He snaps at me.


“How did you end up in jail?” I ask.


“I was a bit pissed at you and when I’m angry my foot tends to be a bit heavy on the gas. I swear they think a hundred twenty is fast. Britin has reached faster at the test track.” He says, not really talking to me.


“I will beat your ass if you ever do something like that again. Other people are on the road, and you could have not only killed yourself but an innocent person.” I tell him, trying not to think of Michael bleeding on the steering wheel while they sawed the two cars apart.


“I don’t usually drive her that fast, well only if the guys are trying to see if the new car can keep pace with her.” He tells me.


“Do they?” I ask, interested.


“No. You read me the specs, and since I wrote them on all the cars I helped make, she’s the only one we designed this way.” He tells me.


“I read this one was for a private collection.” I tell him.


“Mine. I own her two sisters too. They were the first models before Britin.” He tells me.


“Why Britin?” I ask.


“Maybe someday I’ll tell you, right now I’m not ready.” He tells me.


“I’ll wait forever for you to be ready. Only this time we talk to each other.” I tell him.


“It’s not easy for me to believe that we won’t fall back into the pattern we set at the beginning. It wasn’t just you but me not talking.” He admits.


“There isn’t anything other than Gus that I wanted to tell you about.” I tell him.


“Yet Gus was never mentioned either. How old is he?” Justin asks. Shit this isn’t going to be something he’ll take well.


“He’s almost a year old. We’re waiting to see if he’ll walk instead of scoot.” I tell him, hoping he missed the year old part.


“You went out and got your friend pregnant while we were together and that wasn’t something you could tell me?” He asks, blazing fire through those blue eyes.


“I donated at a clinic, not seeing that I would be more than a friend of the family. The girls, at first, didn’t want a father for Gus. When he was born, I didn’t give them a choice.” I tell him.


Justin was thinking about something then hits me in the arm. “That’s why you showed up with champagne and we danced the night away. You were celebrating your son’s birth, not being happy to see me.” He tells me


“See I included you… Shit, okay, I was also happy you agreed to come when you told me you were going to be busy.” I tell him, when he glared.


“Where are we going?” He asks, when I turned to the interstate.


“To the house I bought when I planned to tell you everything.” I tell him.


“I fucking hate you.” He pouts, and on him it just made things stand at attention.

 

“You love me, you told me so. Anything else is bullshit.” I tell him, pushing on the gas to see what Britin could do. My life started to feel like mine again when Justin was with me. Lindsay yelled it- where did the man she knew go- I hope everyone is ready for the man Justin brings out.

Chapter 7 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin stayed silent the rest of the drive to the house. He looked anywhere but at me, and when we got to the house he didn’t even attempt to get out of the car.


“Are we going to sit here or go in?” I asked, when there was nothing coming from Justin.


“Where do you actually live? Because this house isn’t it.” He asked.


“I also own a loft in Pittsburgh.” I tell him.


“So the house you bought for us is once again far away from anything that connects you to the life you live.” He tells me.


“It’s not why I bought it.” I tell him.


“I just don’t understand why we needed to come out here. I’m assuming your loft was closer.” He tells me.


“It is, but there are reasons that taking you there wouldn’t be a place we could talk.” I tell him.


“We don’t even know how to talk. Look at what happened at the police station. Instead of talking we ended up using Carl to yell at each other.” He tells me.


“You used Carl to avoid talking to me. I used him because it seemed to be the only way to get you to listen.” I tell him.


“I just don’t know if I can do this with you again. I spent two years tiptoeing around you to avoid things that would make you shut down. I didn’t just leave because you walked out when I said I loved you. I left because I needed more than you were willing to give me. You said I stopped trying, and I did, but only because I got tired of meeting a brick wall and feeling like I stepped over the lines you set from the beginning. Why did you even call after we left Jamaica, if you didn't plan to be in a relationship?” He asks.


“If you want the answer, you come in. Otherwise, here are the keys for you to do what you did every time you met the brick wall.” I tell him, dropping the keys in his hand.


I left him in the car, and if he left this time then it was time to let him go. I left the front door wide open and was relieved to hear him close it as he came in. Even telling myself I’d let him go didn’t mean I believed it.


“Why did you call?” He asks.


“Every morning you were with me, I woke up without dreading the day ahead. I spent three years being expected to put my life aside to take care of Michael. Meeting you gave me a way to not feel guilty for wanting a life for myself. Even when you were pissed at me and tried to run, you never used guilt to get things from me.” I tell him.


“I don’t understand. You said it was an accident. How could that turn into you owing your life to someone?” He asks.


“He wouldn’t have been driving if I hadn’t been drunk. It's all I heard when everyone got to the hospital. It didn’t help that it was the thought running through my head. Then it was what the angry voices around me were screaming. The only one who didn't blame me was Michael. He kept saying it was an accident. He defended me the way he always has, and I felt like I owed it to him to take care of him. For three years I did anything he needed me to, brushing aside how my life became only doing what Michael wanted.” I tell him.


“If he didn’t blame you, why did you listen to the others?” He asks.


I could feel the walls trying to slam down. This would involve explaining my childhood, and how the only real mother I had taught me that love came with the payment of keeping Michael happy. It was a weakness I hated about myself, and I never wanted Justin to see that person.


“Brian if you can't tell me now, then don't.” He tells me.


“Now it’s okay not to tell you something?” I ask, slightly pissed at him.


“Not if by saying something it puts that look on your face. It was common everyday things that started our problems, like the fact that I couldn’t even be thrilled that the car I designed and you loved, was mine. It was things like two phones, but only being given the number to a throw away phone. It seemed to represent your ability to throw me away, and when you left it behind, it felt that way too.” He tells me.


“I forgot it, and by the time I went back to get it, it didn’t matter. My only way of reaching you was through the phone you carelessly tossed on the bed next to your keys. You made your feelings loud and clear.” I tell him.


“I left it because I knew I'd come back if it rang. When it comes to you, I don't know how to say no.” He tells me.


“This time stay, even if you have to fight for what you need from me. I can’t promise there aren’t going to be things I will have problems talking about, but I'll try if it's what you need from me.” I tell him.


“I'll make it easier. Every day, we tell each other one thing. I just want to feel like I am more than the secret you keep.” He tells me.

“My life here was the secret, not you. I think it's time for you to meet the person who is equal to you in importance in my life.” I tell him, grabbing his keys.


MEL


Lee and I sat outside, hoping Justin gave Brian the chance to explain everything. Lindsay left us alone, telling me she liked Lee and in a way got why I sometimes had problems with her and Brian, but trusted me with the same trust I gave her. Lee looked worried, but tried his best to pretend he wasn’t.


“Justin couldn’t have picked a better man to fall in love with.” I tell him.


“He's never loved anything but his cars, they were built to not disappoint him.” He tells me.


“How did you two meet? Last I saw you, you were still saying you wouldn’t become like your father.” I tell him.


“We meet through Quinn, Justin’s cousin. Justin needed someone who could build the engines in the cars he wanted. Quinn knew me from college and heard I'd been talking about wanting to create one of a kind cars. Justin could tell you what he needed, but couldn’t build the engine. He showed me the design, and I made the engine do what he wanted it to. Then stuck around instead of moving on when Justin offered to go into business.” He tells me.


“You never wanted to settle down, why do it?” I ask.


“I met someone and couldn't walk away. I stay in the hope one day it becomes more. Love sucks when they never figure it out.” He tells me.


“Or becomes twisted, when nothing you do gets you what you want. I don't think he'll give you what you want.” I tell him, worried because I've seen it first hand, watching Michael.


“She's still young and starting her life, if it's not me, I can live with it, as long as she's happy.” He tells me.


“I sort of thought we were talking about Justin.” I tell him.


“Close, but no. Justin wasn’t more than someone who led me to her. But I still worry because I saw what he was like after being with Brian, and it’s not the Justin I know. He hated guys who tried to tell his friends what they could do or say, but put up with it from Brian. The reason I worry about Brian was the way it seemed was like everything was up to Brian, when they met up, what Justin was allowed to know, and making it so Justin couldn’t contact him unless Brian texted and said he could. It all sounded like Brian’s way of controlling Justin.” He tells me.


“I won’t say Brian doesn’t like to control things, but it was likely he didn’t want Michael finding out and trying to stop him from having any relationship that didn’t include Michael. Before the car accident Brian protected Michael, but still had a life of his own. Now Michael wants to own Brian.” I tell him.


“The same way I thought Brian wanted to own Justin.” He tells me.


“If he did, why leave so many ways for Justin to walk away? People who want to own someone make it so there is no place to go when they want to leave. If you want to judge anything about Brian, then learn the facts.” Lindsay tells him from the door. “Brian’s coming, he said he wanted to kiss his sonny boy good night.” Lindsay tells me, giggling.


MICHAEL


I was kind of pissed when I saw Emmett and Ted hanging out together at Woody’s after Drew lied, saying they had to be at the stadium. I almost went to ask them when Woody’s became the stadium, but then I heard Emmett say he just dropped Brian off at the police station. I already had Emmett being able to tell Brian I was fine and figured it would just be a good idea to say it was just a spasm, because too many people could tell Brian what they saw after I texted Brian. So I didn't go over to them, but waited to hear if they could tell me where Brian was.


Blake got up to go to the bar, and I left before he saw me. I tried to make friends with Blake, but he acts like he doesn't like me. So when he's around I can't pester Ted for information, because Blake cuts me off and Ted lives to make Blake happy, which means he stopped telling me anything.


I got to the loft but Brian didn’t show up, I thought about staying until he did, but knew if he went anywhere it was to see Gus before bed. It was the one thing I didn't try to stop him from doing, because after Gus was born, Brian would leave, not listening to any reason I needed him. I figured if nothing else I could be waiting there for him to explain to me why he wasn’t out of town. I got over there and heard Lindsay tell Mel and some guy Brian was on his way. I learned to wait for Brian, because Lindsay told me unless Brian was there she didn’t feel I needed to come over. She really thinks she can lord over me that she had Brian’s kid. I waited for over an hour before a car pulled into the girl’s driveway. I wondered who the hell the car belong to, then Brian gets out and goes around to the other guy who got out.


I started towards them until I see Brian all over the guy. I couldn’t believe Lindsay lets him bring tricks to her house, but not me. They were talking, with every inch of them pressed together. Then I heard it, and waited for Brian’s usual response.


“I love you.” The trick says.


“Promise we'll say that at least once a day too?” Brian asks him.


“I promise.” The guy told him.

 

This wasn’t going to happen. Brian couldn't do this after everything I did to get him. I left when Brian walked away, hand in hand with the guy he obviously hid from me.

Chapter 8 by starlight

JUSTIN


I didn't know why I was nervous about meeting Brian's son, but I was. It helped that Lee knew one of the mothers. When we got there I could tell they kept Gus up, and I apologized to Lindsay that we came so late.


“Unless Brian is out of town, he always shows up to put Gus to bed.” She tells me.


Brian was on the floor letting Gus use him to stand up. Gus would try to take a step, but before he could fall, Brian was there to save him. We all watched as Gus tried again, but he only made it a couple of steps.


“Mel, sit across from me.” Brian tells her.


They sat with their feet touching and Gus in between them. Gus was bouncing and giggling at Mel and took a few steps grabbing the arms Brian held over him, before letting go and making it to Mel. Lindsay sat next to me, gripping my hand as we watched Gus turn and walk back to Brian. The proud parents were cheering him on as Lee and I clapped when he made it. Gus started rubbing his eyes and I waved Brian to go put Gus to bed.


“We hoped he would wait for Brian to walk. It kills Brian to miss anything.” Lindsay tells me.


“He showed up celebrating around the time Gus was born. He didn’t tell me why, but at least now I feel like he included me.” I tell her.


“There are a lot of reasons for why he was closed off.” She tells me.


“Maybe you could explain why Michael would have a problem with Justin?” Lee asks.


“Only if it’s something Brian wouldn’t have a problem with me knowing.” I tell Lindsay, as Brian came down to hear what Lee asked. “Brian and I agreed that we would tell each other the things we want the other to know.” I tell them.


“Lindsay can tell you her opinion, and some of it was my fault for confusing him.” Brian tells me.


“Brian, you never once told him you wanted more, and didn’t do anything with him you didn’t do with me, well maybe one thing, but overall you only offered your friendship. Michael is the one who wanted things you didn’t.” She tells him.


“It’s really simple. Michael is a selfish shit who doesn’t care that Brian doesn’t love him the way he wants him to. Before the accident he didn’t have a way to keep Brian from tricking or doing the things that Brian had always done. But after the accident Michael used that as a way to keep Brian from doing anything that he didn’t like. See, the tricking was fine and still is, as long as the person doesn’t stay around to ruin Michael’s belief that once he and Brian are together, Brian won’t want anyone but him.” Mel tells me.


“I spent years giving Michael just enough that he didn’t turn away from our friendship. I knew he thought it meant more, but for me it was not wanting to lose what I thought was the only real family I had.” Brian tells them, only looking at me when he talked.


“So Justin being around longer than a night will have Michael trying everything to get Brian back. Including using his leg, that wasn’t broken, to see if Brian would drop everything and rush to his side. It doesn’t help that Deb would use the things she did to get Brian to do what Michael wants.” Lindsay tells me.


“Maybe not. I almost did go, but stopped when I realized Michael thinks I’m out of town. It didn’t make sense that he planned to lay on the floor all night with a broken leg when there were people closer to him that could get to him. I called Emmett and he sent me a video of Michael ready to go dancing. I sent it to Deb, pissed at myself for once again running when Michael called.” Brian tells us.


“He doesn’t realize he would have been caught?” Lee asks.


“He thinks as usual that he can find an excuse Brian will believe.” Lindsay tells us.


“You were right. I ignored everything, wanting to believe in the person I’d trusted since I was fourteen.” Brian tells her.


“I’m not happy that I was Brian, you know that. But if Justin is around Michael, he needs to know what to expect. Michael is the kind of person who can make you believe he’s your friend, but do anything he doesn’t like and he finds small ways to cause trouble. The best example I have for me was that he didn’t like that Brian agreed to father Gus, and so he made comments to us that Brian once again gave me something Mel couldn’t. Only Mel and I were waiting for Michael’s reaction, and didn’t let him be a reason to fight over something that wasn’t the reason we chose Brian.” She tells me.


“You never told me he did that.” Brian tells her.


“We knew why we asked you, nothing Michael said mattered to us. Truthfully, I didn’t want to hear once again that Michael doesn’t mean what he says to people. He knows, and calculates exactly why he does the things he does.” She tells him.


“Michael has nothing on the people I grew up with. We were raised to deal with people who smiled in our face then lied behind our backs.” I tell her.


“I like Justin. I think we’ll keep him.” Mel teases Brian.


“I’m sure between Justin and I, Michael will be too busy scratching his head as to whether he was insulted or not.” Lindsay laughs.


We left Lindsay and Mel, with me offering to take them to dinner with my mom and sister. Lee was staying to catch up with Mel and tried to pretend it was the reason he came here. I let it go, because I was too interested in the man I was getting to know. He drove us by everything that was part of his life, and showed me where his loft was, and stopped to show off Kinnetik.


“We should talk about possibly of having Kinnetik help with the next stage of cars.” I tell him.


“As long as you understand my company only wins if what we offer you is the best.” He tells me.


“I wouldn’t let our personal relationship screw up my business, or yours.” I tell him.


“My assistant,Cynthia, thinks MacTaylor is going into affordable cars.” He tells me.

 

 

“Give her a raise, because the rumor is true.” I tell him.


Brian was about to say something but I cut him off as I took off my pants. I love that we were talking, but I also love what he does to me. Brian waited until all my clothes were on the floor before coming to me and only unbuttoning his shirt and lowering his zipper. I sat on his couch and pulled him to me, licking the drops he was leaking and then taking him inch by inch into my mouth.


“You're the only one who makes me want to cum like a virgin.” He tells me.


My answer was to pull back and lick under his crown as he steadied himself, running his hands through my hair. Brian held my head as he took over and thrust faster. It was only a couple of minutes before he came, but like always, he was ready for the next round.


“You’re naked, so like all our conversations, bend over.” He smirks.


I licked the drops I let fall from my mouth and stood up, walking to his desk. Looking to see, if like our apartment in New York, Brian was always prepared, and lucky me, lube and condoms were in his desk. I threw him the condom, but made him watch me as I opened myself for him, pouring the lube so it also ran down my cock.


“Don’t touch it.” He tells me, when I reached to stroke myself.


Instead I put both hands on his desk and waited for him. He ran his hands up my thighs before spreading me open, teasing me with small thrusts, not quite breaching me.


“Is this what you wanted?” He asks, teasing around where I wanted him.


I didn’t answer him, but thrust back when he tried another shallow thrust. “In the interest of communication, that's what I wanted.” I tell him, moaning as he decided to stop playing and pulled out, slamming back into me. After we came Brian took me to the shower in his office and we barely managed to leave Kinnetik before dawn.



BRIAN


B: I got a scholarship to play soccer, which turned into an opportunity to escape my father. LY.


J: I quit college when my grandfather showed up, asking why I was in business school if I hated it. Love you too.


“Brian, did you just want me to leave the reports or go over them?” Ted asks.


“Anything we need to discuss?” I ask, drinking my tenth cup of coffee.


Justin left this morning to get to work, but planned to come back tonight. I texted him, more because I wanted to know he made it back safe, and to start what we promised each other.


“I know you hate talking about your private life, but did he listen?” Ted asks.


“Why do you think he didn’t?” I ask.


“He's not here.” He tells me.


“I forgot, let Cynthia know she gets a raise. Then I need you, Cynthia, and Murph, because I have a bet to win. MacTaylor is offering us the opportunity to show them what Kinnetik can do for them.” I smirk.


“I don’t think it counts when your new boyfriend is the owner.” He tells me.


“Which won’t win me any points with my partner, not boyfriend. Justin only offered us the opportunity to present him and Lee with how to market the cars Cynthia told us about. It’s up to us to give him a reason to use Kinnetik. Did I mention that we get to see the newest car, which is being built right now, before they sell it?” I tell Ted.


“Shit. You know Drew is going to kick our asses if he doesn’t get to come.” Ted tells me.


“Bring Blake, I want Justin to meet the person I like best out of all of you.” I joke.


“Have you thought about the other people he will eventually meet?” Ted asks.


“I guess we’ll see when I take Justin to Babylon tomorrow night. I’m not hiding Justin, but I’m not going to make him deal with Deb or Michael. If Michael wants to trash our friendship by continuing what he’s doing, then it won’t matter anymore.” I tell him.


“Michael, did you need something?” We heard Cynthia ask from outside my office.


I waited for him to come in, but he didn’t. Cynthia came in my office and sat down.


“Where is he?” Ted asks.


“He left without saying anything. It was actually the first visit he’s made that I enjoyed.” She tells us.


“So want to help me win MacTaylor?” I ask Cynthia. “Justin said you deserve a raise for being right.” I tell her.


“Why is that even a surprise, but what am I right about?” She asks.


“MacTaylor is creating affordable cars, and Justin offered to let us show him why businesses want us.” I tell her.


“Why would this Justin be able to offer you the campaign?” Cynthia asks.


“By the way, Drew said to tell you you're slacking. Cole Taylor actually goes by Justin, not Cole. Also, he’s Brian’s partner.” Ted tells her, smiling when he managed to leave her speechless.

 

“Was it the Justin part, or Brian’s partner part?” Ted asks her.

Chapter 9 by starlight

 JUSTIN

 

I woke up to Daphne sitting in front of my desk, not looking happy with me.

 

“Your mother and sister were scared shitless when you took off.” She tells me.

 

“I’ll call them and explain. I saw Brian and needed time without everyone questioning me.” I tell her.

 

“Are you okay?” She tells me.

 

“I found out enough from him to be willing to try again. He bought a house not far from here for me.” I tell her.

 

“So he traded the apartment for a house, how do you see that as better?” She asks.

 

“He wasn’t married or in a relationship. The guy in the pictures was only a friend who wanted more than Brian did. The baby Brian was holding is his, but with two women he’s been friends with for a long time. He introduced me to his son yesterday and showed me parts of his life. It’s different this time.” I tell her.

 

“Then I hope you get everything from him now that you wanted from him before. Just let him know Quinn has no problem with kicking his ass if he hurts you.” She tells me.

 

“Barely engaged and she’s already thinking I’ll fight on her command. Guess who called me last night?” Quinn asks me.

 

“He called me too, I just didn’t answer. Let him know I thought the speed limit was a hundred and twenty, the cop thought it was fifty-five.” I joke.

 

“You know he’s going to have your head for driving like that, you could have killed someone if you’d lost control.” Daphne tells me.

 

“Brian wasn’t thrilled with me either.” I tell her.

 

“Brian?” Quinn asks.

 

“We are going to try again. I don’t want to hear anything but that you’ll support me.” I tell Quinn.

 

“I will, but I reserve the right to do what my fiancee asks if he hurts you.” He tells me.

 

LINDSAY

 

Deb called me and asked if she could come by and talk. I wasn’t in the mood for another ‘Michael needs Brian be there for him’ lecture, but she hung up before I could tell her anything. When she came over, I was going to help Brian by letting Deb understand my position on her son. Mel took Lee with her and Gus when I asked her to let me deal with Deb alone. I didn’t want Gus here if Deb and I butted heads over Michael. I opened the door when Deb knocked and didn’t expect her first words.

 

“Brian should hate me.” She tells me.

 

“He never could, it’s why he lets you and Michael get away with what you do.” I tell her, leading her to the living room.

 

“You know what Michael did last night?” She asks.

 

“Emmett sent us the video, and Brian isn’t going to be as willing to excuse what Michael’s doing.” I tell her.

 

“I went to see Vic this morning and he told me it didn’t surprise him that Michael is still trying to keep Brian, like he belongs in one of Michael’s collections. Vic thinks we should get Michael to see someone, before he drives Brian away.” She tells me.

 

“It might not stop Brian from walking away from Michael. Brian has other things that he will put ahead of Michael.” I tell her.

 

“He can’t turn his back on Michael.” She tells me.

 

“It’s one step forward and a hundred back with you. Michael is no longer in a wheelchair, he’s back to being able to do everything he could do before. Which should mean that Brian can have a life. A life he’d been trying to have for the past two years, while you and Michael made that impossible for him.” I tell her, exasperated at Deb.

 

“You call him working, a life? It’s all he’s done for the last two years.” She tells me.

 

“No it’s not. But unless he wants to tell you, just know there was more to the business trips. Which he almost lost because your son created false emergencies to get him to come home.” I tell her.

 

“Brian needs to settle down, not trick his life away.” She tells me.

 

“Even if that’s what I was talking about, it’s really not your place or mine to tell him how to run his life. I think he's more than paid his dues for an ACCIDENT. And it’s time for you and Michael to stop making him feel like he was somehow responsible for the other person, who was the one who drove drunk. I want you to think really hard about why Michael called Brian, who was out of town last night, instead of you or one of the guys, who were minutes away. Then give me a reason anyone would think it was logical, because I don't have any way to excuse it.” I tell her.

 

Deb didn’t have an answer, which to me, was the answer.

 

BRIAN

 

“The day Gus was born, I wanted you there. LY”

 

“I designed Britin after the things you told me you loved about cars. Love you.”

 

Last night Justin surprised me, by being at Lindsay and Mel’s house, talking to Lee. They were sitting at the kitchen table with papers spread out, Gus was standing on Justin’s lap, while Justin managed to answer Lee’s questions and entertain Gus. I went over to Justin, leaning over him to kiss Gus before kissing Justin.

 

“I have to stay in town tomorrow with my mom. She wants to meet you.” He tells me.

 

“When?” I ask.

 

“I asked if she would wait until we came to dinner with Mel, Lindsay, and Gus. She wanted to meet you sooner.” He tells me.

 

“Bring her to Kinnetik and we can have lunch together.” I tell him, looking at what looked like a design for a motorcycle. “What are you guys doing?” I ask.

 

“My soon-to-be stepdad collects motorcycles. I wanted to give him one no one would have, for making my mom happy.” He tells me.

 

“So you don’t just design cars?” I ask.

 

“It depends on what someone wants, Lee and I also do bikes, but only for special customers.” He tells me. “I’m even thinking Gus’s first wheels should be an original tricycle.” Justin tells Gus.

 

“Brian can I talk to you?” Lindsay asks me.

 

“I’m almost done, we can put Gus to bed then go home.” Justin tells me, as I followed Lindsay from the kitchen.

 

“You might not like that I did it, but I hope the talk I had with Deb helps. We can't expect miracles, but maybe it will give you some space. I didn’t tell her about Justin, but told her you weren’t going to put aside your life to run after Michael.” She tells me.

 

“Are you and Cynthia trying to see who can out do the other? Ted and I were walking out of Kinnetik when Cynthia ran up to me and asked me for my loft keys. She changed the locks without telling me, but said she knew I'd eventually see it was the right decision. Then Ted adds that he didn’t really understand why anyone had them.” I tell her, hoping she understands it means her too.

 

“You have Justin now, so there's no reason any of us need them.” She tells me, smiling.

 

EMMETT

 

Brian called and asked if Drew and I wanted to meet for drinks. It was the first time in a long time he’d asked, so I had to clear my throat before saying yes. I felt like he was giving me a chance to prove I wasn’t the same asshole who treated him like crap, instead of seeing how the accident affected him. Drew suggested we try a new place, because Woody’s is one place Michael was guaranteed to show up at if he knew Brian was in town.

 

“I promised Justin we weren’t hiding our relationship. If Michael shows up, then we deal with it.” Brian tells me.

 

“Teddy told me that Michael came to Kinnetik but left without barging in. Did you ever figure out why he was there?” I ask.

 

“I had other things to worry about.” He tells me, hanging up.

 

I called Teddy and Blake to meet us. I knew they were both curious about Justin and wanted Justin to feel welcomed by us. Ted and Blake were waiting when Drew and I arrived, and so far it looked like we might get to get to know Justin without Michael around.

 

Brian and Justin came in and went to get something from the bar first. I watched Brian, unafraid to show everyone Justin was important. Justin was ordering and Brian was behind him with his arms wrapped around Justin, tilting his head to talk to Justin as they waited.

 

“He really makes it obvious Justin is with him.” Drew tells us.

 

“I think he knows if he wants this to work, he can't let there be any doubts that could cause problems.” Blake tells us.

 

“You mean Michael?” I ask.

 

“Michael isn’t going to care what we're seeing, because that would mean Brian has planned a future that doesn't have Michael starring as the person Brian settles down with.” He tells me.

 

Brian and Justin came over, so we stopped any conversation that he wouldn’t be thrilled we were having.

 

“Hi Emmett, sorry about yesterday's drama.” Justin tells me.

 

“Baby, it's sort of normal for there to be drama around us, so don't worry about it.” I tell him.

 

“So I know Drew, but not you two.” Justin tells Blake and Ted.

 

“Ted works with me, Blake is his better half.” Brian jokes.

 

“It's great to meet you, even if I lose my bet with Brian.” Ted tells him.

 

“We bet on winning your account. Theodore keeps forgetting I never lose.” Brian tells Justin.

 

“I would've bet too, but I didn’t want to take Teddy's place answering phones.” I joke.

 

“There's still a chance Ted could win. Kinnetik has to impress us, or no deal.” Justin tells us.

 

“Brian's the best in the ad game, so yeah, I'm going to lose. He did at least promise to donate half of what Blake's clinic needs for a new building.” Ted tells us.

 

“What kind of clinic?” Justin asks Blake.

 

“I'm a counselor for recovering addicts. Right now we try to offer free services to people who can't afford rehab but want to straighten out their lives. It means depending on donations for our needs. We're getting cramped because unfortunately, getting high is still the easiest way for people to cope, and rehab patients aren’t financially responsible.” He tells Justin.

 

“If you don’t mind having the clinic being publicized I could give you the number of someone who would be interested in helping.” Justin tells him.

 

“As long as the patients aren’t expected to parade themselves, any help would be welcome.” Blake tells him.

 

Justin pulls out his wallet and hands Blake a card. “Ask to speak to Cole, if they give you the run around tell them it was me who wanted you to talk to him.” Justin tells him.

 

TED

 

I looked at the card and almost choked on my drink. “Why would Cole Andrews be interested in Blake's clinic?” I blurt out.

 

“What Blake's clinic offers is a way to improve their chances of becoming productive members of society again. My grandfather is a strong supporter of causes like that.” Justin tells me.

 

“Did you know?” I ask Brian.

 

“I looked it up, but unless Justin wanted anyone to know, it wasn't going to become gossip.” Brian tells me.

 

“I never really think about it, he's just my grandfather.” Justin tells me.

 

“I hope you didn't think I was trying to get a donation.” Blake tells him.

“Hey guys, no one told me everyone was coming to Woody’s.” Michael interrupts loudly.

 

“Blake, I asked, and you only answered me.” Justin tells Blake, ignoring Michael.

 

“Since I'm here, why not introduce me to your new friend.” Michael tells Emmett, smiling at Justin.

 

“I'm Justin, Brian’s partner. It's a pleasure to meet you.” Justin tells him.

 

Michael starts laughing as if he found something funny. “Sorry, I was thinking of something Brian and I joked about. I'm Michael, Brian’s closest friend. It's nice Brian isn't with a trick for once.” Michael tells him.

 

“I don't know, tricks can ramp up a night, but then, Brian and I got tired of having to teach them everything. Now we just agree to use them when one of us can’t be around to release the stress from the headaches caused by others.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian must have been stressed out a lot in the last few months.” Michael laughs.

 

“We're you? I shouldn't have thought we needed to reassess the relationship. At least I can feel better that we know nothing compares to what we have.” Justin tells Brian, kissing him.

 

“He actually let's you call it a relationship, he must really like the sex.” Michael tells him, snickering.

 

“He really does, since he hasn't stopped wanting it from me. I guess he can’t say two years is just wanting a good time, so a relationship is how we both see it.” Justin tells him.

 

“Brian, why would you hide him like a dirty little secret? Ma and I have always been the most important people in your life. I wouldn't want Justin to think you didn’t find him just as important.” Michael laid it on thick, but there was still more. “Now I feel bad that he and I were there to see Gus when he was born. It’s a shame that he didn't remember that was his partner's place, but maybe he just forgot, since I was there.” Michael tells him.

 

“He made it up to me, champagne and a night we'd never forget. At least I got to watch Gus take his first steps, sorry, we forgot to call you.” Justin tells him.

 

“Justin.” Brian says, making Michael think Justin was going to be brought down in favor of Michael. “It's really only something Gus’s four parents care about, so I didn’t see the reason to invite everyone else.” He tells Justin, kissing him.

 

Michael looked ready to breathe fire on Justin when Brian didn’t. It was like watching the ball volley back and forth between Justin and Michael. I know we all looked like we were watching a tennis game the whole time. In fact I looked around and noticed other guys joining us, as we waited to see who would win. It sure wasn’t the pissed off Michael, who turned and walked out of the bar without another word.

 

“I don’t think Michael is prepared for Justin.” Blake whispers to me, as Brian sat whispering something in Justin’s ear.

 

“But Justin was prepared.” I whisper, kissing Blake, since it looked like Brian and Justin weren’t planning to stick around, as they forgot all about us when they rushed out the door.








 

Chapter 10 by starlight

BRIAN


“I tripped you intentionally, when you were walking by me. LY”


“I spent the whole night at the bar drinking up the courage to talk to you. Love you”


I’d spent the morning at Kinnetik, tossing around ideas to win the MacTaylor account, waiting for Justin to bring his mother and sister for lunch. When they showed up, Lee was with them. He really should learn to hide his feelings, but then, Justin’s sister didn’t seem to notice how Lee hung on every word she said. Justin’s mother smiled when Justin kissed me before introducing everyone.


“I hope you didn’t mind, but I thought it would be nice to meet without so many people around.” Jen tells me.


“I was trying to save Brian from all the questions you and Molly would ask.” Justin tells her.


“Well what do you expect when you finally let us meet the man you're seeing?” Molly asks him.


“Until Brian, there was never a reason I wanted you to meet any of the men I was seeing.” Justin teases her.


We were walking out of my office when Deb came charging in. Deb coming here to tell me Michael needed me wasn't something I needed Justin’s mother to witness.


“I need to talk to you about Michael.” She tells me.


“It’s not a good time, as you can see we were just leaving.” I tell her.


“I’m sure your client understands that family is more important.” She tells me.


“Which we would if we were clients, but right now Brian wants to get to know my family.” Justin tells her.


“It doesn’t mean he forgets the family that helped him when he needed us. I’m sure you and your boyfriend can entertain your family while Brian and I talk.” She tells Justin, looking at Lee.


“Since Brian is the boyfriend, it would make more sense for him to be with me. Let me introduce myself, I’m Justin Taylor, Brian’s partner for more than three years.” Justin tells her.


“This will only take a few minutes Brian, and then you and I can decided how to help Michael.” She tells me, ignoring everything Justin said to her.


“We can go ahead and meet you.” Jen tells me.


“No. I made a promise to Justin that OUR life is where my focus is.” I tell Jen. “Deb, Michael needs to start living his life, and I need to start living mine. He’s never going to find the things he wants by waiting for me. Justin is who I want and who I’m with.” I tell her, bringing Justin to me.


“You didn’t have to throw it in his face, the way you let him do last night to Michael.” Deb tells us, glaring at Justin.


“Jen, we’ll meet you. I think Justin and I need to handle this.” I tell Jen.


“I can go if you need to deal with this.” Justin tells me.


“We agreed no more secrets, it means you get to be involved in the parts that I didn’t want to tell you about.” I tell him, leading us back to the office.


Deb sat down in the seating area and just waited for us to follow her. It was when I thought about the conversation Ted and I had this morning. He wanted to know why I let Justin deal with Michael, not really intervening when Michael spouted the bullshit coming out of his mouth.


“Justin wouldn’t have appreciated me doing that. He never likes anyone treating him like he can’t take care of himself. It’s one of the things about him that kept me wanting him in my life.” I told Ted.


When Deb started laying into Justin about not at least trying to make friends with Michael, I waited to see how he wanted to handle this.


“I’m not sure where you get the idea that Michael starting off the conversation with me by telling me that it was nice that Brian wasn’t with a trick for once, was anything but wanting me to disappear.” Justin tells her.


“Michael gets protective of Brian. You have to understand, he worries that you could be trying to take advantage of Brian.” She tells him, making me want to call Lindsay and tell her talking to Deb just wasted her breath.


“Is that what you call trying to make it seem like he and Brian were a couple, while I was just someone in his way? Maybe you should ask why Brian had to leave Pittsburgh to have a relationship. It wasn’t because I was his ‘dirty little secret’, as Michael announced to the whole bar last night.” Justin tell her.


“I’m sorry, but Brian has always told us everything, and maybe it’s you who should question why he didn’t want us to know about YOU.” She tells him.


“I’m assuming because you and your son tend to jump in when and where you're not wanted or needed. It’s the only reason I could see for him not wanting me to know about anyone here. Well, it could also be that from everyone I’ve met in Brian’s life, not one of you did anything but blame him for Michael getting hurt. I might not have known anything about you or Pittsburgh, but now I can see why there were times Brian showed up acting as if he needed to get away from everything. For a while it did make me question why he only ever wanted our relationship to be as if there was nothing that existed but the two of us. I now can see that maybe Pittsburgh was his ‘dirty little secret’. So I’m sorry if your son’s feelings got bruised because I didn’t let him try to convince me he was more important to Brian then me, Brian’s partner.” He tells her.


“Brian, you can’t act like Michael doesn’t matter.” She tells me.


“I have to make sure my partner knows I support him and our relationship. Justin did nothing more than respond to what Michael was throwing at him.” I tell her.


“Brian, he came to my house depressed. He thinks all his friends are forgetting him in favor of Justin. I know what he did was wrong, but he needs you guys.” She tells me.


“So the video I sent you, and seeing that Michael made up an ‘emergency’ didn’t bother you, but all of us not willing to excuse his lies is a problem?” I ask, incredulous.


“He was there for all of you, couldn’t you just overlook it this once?” She asks, making me wonder why I ever respected Deb.


“I’m going to leave and meet my mother, because this conversation is bordering on the ridiculous. I don’t want to say something that you probably wouldn’t listen to anyway.” Justin tells her.


“I know Michael depends on Brian, but Justin, Brian gave Michael reasons to believe it.” Deb tells him.


“Did Brian EVER tell Michael he wanted more than friendship?” Justin asked.


“No, but…”


“Then why would you say he gave Michael reasons to believe it?” He asks.


“Every time Michael met someone, Brian made it so Michael ended the relationship.” Deb tells him.


“I’m sorry, but did you say Brian MADE him end a relationship? That’s a lot of power for someone to have, keeping to people who love each other apart.” Justin tells her.


“I didn’t say Michael loved them, but Brian would show up and Michael would run off, leaving the person in the cold to go clubbing with Brian.” She tells him.


“Did you have a gun, handcuffs, or maybe drug him into doing something he didn’t want to do?” Justin asks me, sarcastically.


“He might as well have, Michael would do anything if Brian wanted him to.” Deb snaps at Justin.


“I didn’t ask Michael to follow me, he did that on his own.” I tell Deb.


“He wanted you to love him the way he loved you…” She tells me, stopping when she realized what she said.


“I can’t and I won’t Deb. There’s only one person who is going to get the future Michael wants, and that’s Justin. All the guilt, and making me feel like I owe it to Michael to give him a farce of a relationship, isn’t going to work. Now, unless there is some part of this conversations that includes you understanding that calling because Michael cries wolf, doesn’t mean me running to him anymore, then I don’t see the point in continuing. Now, I would like to get to know Justin’s family and staying here is interfering with the time Justin’s mother wanted to spend getting to know me.” I tell her, helping her up and walking her out the door.


BLAKE


I don’t get why Ted and I can’t have one day that doesn’t include Michael trying make everyone stop Brian from doing anything Michael doesn’t like. Somehow I thought that since we were having lunch somewhere other than the diner, we’d get to spend lunch alone.


“Don’t get pissed, I told Cynthia to tell him where we were so Brian could get to know Justin’s family.” Ted tells me.


“I'll deal with it, for Brian and Justin, but if he starts trying to play the victim, then he and I are going to have a problem.” I tell him.


I shook my head at Ted when Michael limped over to us then sat down like he was in pain. I almost commented when he asked me to get him a sandwich at the counter while he talked to Ted.


I've never been able to make friends with Michael. I’ve tried since Ted and I got together, but there was just something about the way he constantly wanted to be the center of attention. It just didn't have me seeing Michael as anything but a user, only of people, not drugs. I didn’t let my feelings get in the way of Ted’s friendship with Michael because it didn't really affect our relationship. There were so many times when I wanted to pull Brian aside and ask why he let Michael treat him as if he owned him, but there was this unspoken line no one ever crossed in the ‘Brian and Mikey show’. I chose to sit back and observe rather than cause conflicts that would have the gang defending Michael. He just wasn't that important to me.


Ted admitted that at one time he had feelings for Michael, but eventually saw Michael couldn’t return them and let it go. It’s just that no one is willing to call it what it is, a teenage crush that went on into adulthood. It’s like they couldn't see what Brian was doing in the last six months; self medicating to avoid feeling what he’d lost. They just saw Brian returning to the way things were before the accident, well except for Mel. Brian didn’t hide it from her, which really, with the way the two of them are with each other, means Brian saw Mel as someone who wouldn’t use it to hurt him when he was already hurting.


I returned to the table with Michael’s meatball sub, and hearing him try to turn what was him insulting Justin’s place in Brian’s life, into him being insulted by Justin, just didn’t make me happy. It wasn’t like me to dump food on anyone’s lap, but you know, it felt good. It also made laugh when the limp disappeared as he lept to his feet and hopped up and down to get the food off his lap.


“I’m so sorry, it just slipped when I went to put it down.” I tell him.


I watched Michael fight the scathing remark that was trying to leap out of his mouth. “We’re all clumsy sometimes.” He managed to grit through his teeth.


“Well at least you didn’t have any problems getting to your feet. Ted, I need to get back to work.” I tell him.


“You haven’t even eaten lunch. At least let me get something and bring it to you.” Ted tells me.


“It will have to be after you take me home. I think I hurt myself and need to rest my leg.” Michael gets back into character for us.


“The bus picks up right outside the door. I’m sorry, but I want to drive Blake back to work.” Ted tells him.


“It’s fine. I’m sure Brian can come get me.” Michael limps out.


“Take him home. You wanted to help Brian, and I just gave him a reason to play ‘poor injured Michael’.” I tell Ted.


“Then he plays it alone, because Brian isn’t going to run off from meeting Justin’s family, and Michael needs to see it.” Ted tells me, going to get our orders wrapped up.

 

We were pulling out when we watched Michael looking frustrated at his phone and stomping off towards Liberty Avenue.

Chapter 11 by starlight

BRIAN


“You are the first thing I shared with Mel, and found out I had a friend I didn’t know I had. LY”


“I took one of your shirts with me when I left, and wore it when I missed you. Love you”


Justin and I were led to his mother’s table. After the whole thing with Deb, neither of us was in the best of moods. I kept wondering what it would take to get Deb to open her eyes and see that Michael needed to deal with his own life. She gets angry when Michael does something that affects her, but ignores anything nasty he does if it affects any of the rest of us. It also makes me look back at the things that went on, and not like that I let Michael get away with using what happened to keep me running back. Listening to Justin question Deb showed me that I never took the time to see that I didn’t cause Michael’s belief that we would ever be anything more than friends.


“We could have met for dinner if you wanted. Was there something you needed to do for your friend?” Jen asks.


“Deb overreacts to everything when it comes to Michael.” I tell her.


“She wants you to give your life for the guy.” Lee tells me.


“I got the feeling she wasn’t happy with Justin.” Molly tells us.


“I let my inner asshole come out when he wanted to play ‘who was more important to Brian’.” Justin tells them.


“Damn, and I missed it. Justin does it so well.” Molly laughs.


“I can overreact if she wants to screw with my son.” Jen tells me.


“Mom, let it go, I can handle it.” Justin tells her.


“Okay, but let me know. That goes for you too Brian.” Jen tells me.


Lunch was finding out more about Justin’s life; that his father had died, his grandfather filled that role for both Justin and Molly while they grew up, and that Justin was in trouble with his grandfather for going to jail. I watched Justin squirm when Jen asked if he had talked to his grandfather.


“I’ll call him, I just didn’t need two lectures on being an idiot.” Justin tells her.


“I can’t even watch when Justin and Quinn race on the test track.” Jen tells me.


“So Lee says you have a son?” Molly asks, changing the subject.


“Gus. I had him with my friends Mel and Lindsay. They wanted to have you over to their house tonight. It’s so Gus can go to bed if he gets tired.” I tell them.


“Justin’s always wanted children.” Jen tells me.


“You never told me that.” I tell him.


“It’s not really something I thought about doing anytime soon.” He tells me.


“We are going to have Gus some weekends.” I tell him.


“We need to start looking at furniture for the house.” He tells me, making me smile that he sees it as a place where we’ll be.


“Are you moving here? I know you said you needed to start looking for a place of your own. But I thought you meant near the company?” Molly asks.


“The house Brian bought is close enough that I could live there and still go to work without a problem. I can even set up an office in the house and work from there when we aren’t building the car.” Justin tells them.


“Where have you been living?” I asked, when we were on our way back to drop me off at work.


“My cousin and best friend's house. Before I came here I knew it was time to give them back their house. Everyone thought I was hiding from you, but I just didn’t want to commit to a house.” He tells me.


“Now you can just move into our house.” I tell him.


EMMETT


Drew tends to run for it when Deb shows up at our doorstep. She had the ‘Brian’s an asshole’ look on her face and part of me wanted to trip Drew and run to lock myself in his man cave. Once again I got stuck with Deb on a rant. She’d eventually make it to Ted and Blake’s, but she always starts with Lindsay, then me. She’s used to me being on Michael’s side, too bad I’ll disappoint her.


“I can’t believe the way this Justin talked to my Michael.” She tells me, sitting down.


“Why not? Michael was saying things to try to make Justin think that only Michael was important to Brian. It doesn’t matter what Michael told you, I was there and it was Michael who started it with Justin.” I tell her.


“Brian can't just bring someone around and not expect Michael to be upset. Brian’s always told Michael everything, but to leave out he's been seeing someone for years, it bothers me too.” She tells me.


“If I'd been Brian, I wouldn’t have told you either.” I tell her.


“Why not, I've always been happy for you?” She asks me.


“Look at what happened every time he just wanted to get away. Michael would get upset and suddenly become hurt or depressed, and you’d end up calling Brian, telling him he needs to drop everything for Michael. The fact that you seem to ignore that there isn’t anything wrong with Michael, makes all of us wonder. Deb, Brian shouldn't have to hide things, but you're already showing him why he did it. You took Michael’s word for what happened at Woody’s, not even asking anyone who was there for their version of what happened. If I'm right, you showed up and jumped on Justin for not letting Michael get away with what he was saying to Justin.” I tell her.


“Justin doesn’t understand what Michael’s been through.” She says, once again excusing Michael.


“He was injured in a car accident. What does that have to do with Michael trying to make it sound like he and Brian are more than friends to Brian’s partner?” I ask.


“Michael probably didn't even realize that's how it sounded.” She tells me.


“Is she serious?” Drew asks me. “I mean, I hope your kidding Deb, because no one could be that blind. I know Brian sent you the video of Michael dancing, an hour after he told Brian he might have broken his leg, did you watch it?” He asks.


“Yes…”


“Then why are you sitting here defending Michael?” He asks.


“What Michael did was wrong, but Brian…”


“How do you go from Michael lying to trying to blame Brian? All Brian is trying to do is have a relationship with Justin. Your son shows up, telling Justin shit like ‘it was nice Brian didn’t have a trick for a change’. Then jokes to the man Brian’s with that Brian was tricking all the time they were apart. Wait, there's more. He also tried to imply that Brian and Michael seeing Gus right after he was born showed who was more important, and just to put it all out there for you, called Justin a 'dirty little secret’. If Michael had pulled that shit with me, he'd be lucky to be alive to tell you. All Justin did was fight words with words, so you should be glad he doesn’t think like me.” Drew tells her.


“Michael wouldn’t do that to Emmett.” Deb tells him.


“But it's okay to do to Brian?” He asks.


“You need to go home and decide if you want to keep defending Michael. Because if you do than all you'll accomplish is that you’ll give Brian more reasons to see not including Michael in his life as the best thing to do, and you too if you're not careful.” I tell her.


“Emmett, Michael felt like all of you were treating him like his friendship didn’t matter.” She tells me, looking for me to back her up on this, which was not going to happen.


“I couldn’t sit there and agree just to make Michael happy. Justin has the right to defend his relationship with Brian. I should add that Michael didn’t seem to have a problem stomping out the door, in case he made sure to limp for you. It seems all of us have stopped being blind to your son’s limping for attention, but you.” I tell her.


“You think she listened?” Drew asks, when Deb got up and left without a word.


“Doubtful. It will take something that directly affects her for it to get through to her.” I tell him.


TED


Mel came to help me with a contract for the MacTaylor deal, she’d started helping as a way to pay back Brian for all the support he gave to Gus. She doesn’t get that Brian doesn’t care about the money, as long as Gus has everything he needs. Emmett called to tell me Deb had already made the rounds, which I told him Cynthia told me when I got back. She already cornered Justin and Brian. Mel rolled her eyes whispering Lindsay already tried too. I hung up, thanking him for the heads up, because she hadn’t gotten to me yet.


“I told Lindsay not to waste the time. Deb only listens when we agree with her.” Mel tells me.


“She needs to realize Justin isn’t one of her boys. What does she expect, that we’ll all alienate Justin until he agrees to let Michael say shit and not respond?” I ask.


“It’s what she's been used to. I know for me it became impossible to not see the stress Brian was under. He’d show up and hold Gus as if it gave him more strength to deal with the next round of Michael. Seeing Brian and Justin together, it’s like seeing Brian getting back to the man who didn’t take shit from anyone.” She tells me.


“I worried when Michael brought up Brian’s tricking during the last few months, but Justin didn’t seem like it bothered him. He even made it sound like they were tricking together.” I tell her.


“We were. Now is there some reason you're talking about my life?” Brian asks from the doorway.


“Deb’s running all over today. Emmett and Drew just got an earful. We figure she’ll try Ted soon. We were just bitching on your behalf, so deal with it.” Mel tells him.


“Jen was fine with having dinner at your house. I called and told Emmett to bring over something edible, so you girls just have to smile and be sweet.” He tells her.


“Brian we don't want to confuse Justin's family. Us crazy lesbians want her to have the full crazy you complain about.” She jokes, chasing him to his office.

 

It was seeing my best friend and Brian become more than the bickering twins that showed me I’d misjudged Brian. For most of our lives it always seemed like Mel and I were outside Brian’s friend circle, only there at all because Michael and Lindsay were in our lives. Only now I see it as Brian not worried about us, because he knew we didn’t need him to handle our problems for us. It really says a lot of his opinion of us. So if Deb wants to come, then she isn’t going to get the answers she wants from us.

Chapter 12 by starlight

B: “Deb gave me a place to stay when I couldn’t go home. She can be narrow minded when it comes to Michael, but it doesn’t change that she was there for me. That's why it's hard for me to not want to help her. LY”


J: “When my dad died, my grandfather told me that although he didn’t care much for my father, if he could have saved him he would have. Love you.



BRIAN


Gus was all over Jen, who declared Gus perfect and didn’t mind him sitting on her lap. Gus of course, loves anyone who fawns all over him. Justin was busy talking to Mel, who mentioned her love of motorcycles, but he would stop when Gus grabbed his arm. Molly kept trying to get Gus to come to her, but Gus seemed to want Jen. I planned to go to Babylon with Justin later, because he always loved to dance, but didn’t really want to hurry when everyone was having fun.


Jen invited Lindsay, Mel, and Gus to the wedding, telling them she wanted to show off Gus and me to the family.


“I’m going to lose cuteness points, but such is life.” Molly sighed.


“You’ll always be cute.” Lee blurts out.


“But if I know Justin, with Gus around my guilt trips won’t work. He’ll be too busy being Gus’s slave, not mine.” She jokes.


“He has years to learn what you did, then all bets are off.” Justin laughs, as Gus tries to stuff his biscuit in Justin’s mouth.


“We’ll work on not spoiling Gus too much, but it’s going to be hard not to want to buy him things. We’ll have to go shopping, and you and Mel can stop me if I go too far.” Jen tells Mel and Lindsay.


“Talk to Mr. Label King. He see something that Gus just has to have and we get deliveries at our door.” Mel jokes.


After dinner, Jen made plans, showing she was serious about spending time with Mel and Lindsay. Molly offered to come and babysit if they ever needed someone. Mel and Lindsay told Justin to go and they would clean up, when he went to help them. We waited until Jen and Molly left before we put Gus to bed, and then headed out to meet up with everyone.


Emmett was ordering when Justin and I showed up. Then he took off when Justin took off to the dance floor. I stood with Drew, talking, when Ted and Blake arrived. Only to lose Blake to Emmett and Justin, where Emmett was showing Justin his praise Jesus.


“Has Deb gotten to you yet?” Drew asks Ted.


“Nope. But she wouldn’t want to talk to me with Blake around. He doesn’t have any sympathy for Michael, so she doesn’t have any way to get him to agree with her.” Ted tells us.


“Get who to agree?” Michael asks, as he stands next to me.


“Your mother. She seems to think we need to cater to you.” Drew says, walking off to dance with Emmett.


“He needs to stop acting like we aren’t all family.” Michael scowls.


I started to walk away to get Justin, when Michael grabbed my arm. “Hey, we haven’t danced in forever, it will be like old times.” He tells me, trying to drag me with him.


“I’m more for new times. I'm sure you can find someone else.” I tell him, pulling away from him and going to Justin.


TED


Blake came off the floor grabbing the bottle of water I got him. Michael was standing in front of us staring at Brian and Justin, as if something needed to be done.


“You ready?” Blake grabs my hands, trying to get me to dance with him.


Michael walked between us, not paying any attention to the fact that Blake was pissed. “I'm worried about Brian, what if the kid is using him?” Michael asks, looking concerned.


“If he is, Brian doesn’t seem to have a problem with it, so it's not something I’d worry about.” I tell him.


“Well, I'm his best friend and care that Brian didn't even tell me… and Ma about the guy.” He tells me, as Blake snorts. “What was that for?” Michael asks Blake.


“Caring about Brian is one thing, but that’s something I don't really think you've ever done.” Blake tells him.


“Since, for some reason you never bothered to get to know me, you really don't have a right to judge me.” Michael tells him.


“I like knowing people who I can respect. You haven’t given me anything to respect about you.” Blake tells him.


“What have I ever done other than be nice to you? I can’t help that at one time Ted wanted me.” Michael tells him, as if that had anything to do with why Blake ignored Michael.


“If that's all you can come up with, then I'm good with our lack of friendship. I'm just glad Ted is now with me. So we're off to dance.” Blake tells him, walking to the dance floor, knowing I'll follow.


“I've really tried Ted, but even you have to see Blake is the one with the problem.” Michael tells me.


“I don’t tell Blake it’s necessary for him to like the people in my life. He has a right to his opinion.” I tell him, following Blake.


JUSTIN


Brian and I danced through three songs before I had to get something to drink. A guy came up and started dancing with Brian, I kissed him and told him I'd be at the bar on the other side. He warned me that he left Michael at the front bar, so in an effort to not start a fight I went to the other one. I ordered for both of us, since Brian told me he was on his way.


“You must be Justin, I've heard a lot about you. I'm Vic.” The older guy tells me.


“Hopefully it's a pleasure to meet you.” I tell him, since I didn't know who this was.


“Don’t hold it against me, but I'm Deb's brother.” He tells me.


“Am I'm getting another lecture about treating Michael badly?” I ask.


“Michael’s a big boy who needs to learn to stop meddling in Brian’s life. If he mouths off, he deserves what he gets. I wanted to meet the guy my sister can't seem to shut up about. I can see why Brian can't take his eyes off you.” He tells me, making me smile when I look over my shoulder and Brian was headed this way.


“It’s something he used to joke about, that I would get lost if he didn’t keep an eye on me. The clubs we went to in New York were so big that we spent half the night trying to find each other.” I tell him.


“Unfortunately this club makes it so no one can get lost.” He tells me, pointing up to the catwalk where Michael was hurrying to the stairs to catch Brian.


“He’s persistent, I’ll give him that. Brian’s already irritated.” I tell him.


“If he thinks he can get Brian to pay attention, there isn’t much he wouldn’t do.” Vic tells me.


I watch as Michael starts running through the people on the catwalk and makes it to the stairs. He starts pushing people out of his way, and even Vic and I started running as Michael got shoved and fell down the last four steps. Brian turned in time to see the tumble and was behind us as Vic reached Michael. The rest of the gang showed up as Michael started screaming he was in pain. Ted went over with Drew, who checked Michael, then helped him up when Michael could move his legs with no problem. Brian started over to Michael when Vic shook his head.


“Rodney came with me, we can take Michael home or to the hospital if he needs it.” He tells Brian.


“If you need to go…” I started, but Brian was busy watching Michael hanging on to Ted as if his leg wouldn’t hold him up. Brian made his way to Michael and helped Ted walk Michael out the door.


I stayed where I was, because I wasn’t sure me being around would be that much help. Brian turned to look over his shoulder at me, then tilted his head for me to come. I stayed in the back as the guys followed behind them.


“What happened?” Blake asked me and Emmett.


“He was rushing to get to Brian and pissed off the guys he was shoving to get down the stairs. He could have held the rail, but didn’t.” Emmett tells us.


“God help us when Deb finds out.” Drew tells us.


We got outside and Michael wasn’t happy when Ted and Brian deposited him in Rodney’s car. Brian waited until Vic got in, before walking back to me. I guess Michael forgot to be in pain for a minute, because he opened the door and yelled at Brian.


“Where are you going? I’m hurt and you're not even going to come with me?” He screeches.


Vic shut the door in his face. “If it’s anything other than wounded pride, I’ll call.” Vic tells Brian.


At that point we were all ready to call it a night. Brian took my keys again, and instead of the house, he drove us to the loft.


“I thought you’d like to see it when there was a good chance no one would show up unannounced.” He tells me.


“Brian, I’d understand if you wanted to at least go to the hospital and check up on him.” I tell him.


“All we would be doing is waiting in the hall, the doctors don’t let anyone in the room unless you're related. I spent enough time waiting outside while Michael sees doctors. Besides, it was less convincing when he switched the leg that he screamed hurt, because I was on the wrong side. I needed to at least see if this was another bid for attention.” He tells me, shrugging.


“Then show me a part of your life.” I tell him, getting out of the car.


He reached in his pocket for his keys when we got to the door to his loft and stood for a second taking a key off, then putting it on my keychain. Then handed them to me and waved for me to open the door. I walked in, looking everywhere. There wasn’t a lot of the Brian I lived with here. The bedroom was surrounded by frosted glass and raised off the floor like a platform. I walked over and started flipping the panes until they were all open.


“It’s the way we present our cars.” I said, standing with my back to bedroom, as it was most likely staged for the focus to be on the bedroom, since it was what you saw when you opened the door.


“It was the only thing important for the tricks to see. Since you’re here, why not let me show another part of my life.” He smirks, as he throws off his shirt.


I took everything off before following him, only to find him laying on his back stroking his already hard cock. I always saw Brian as a high performance car, every inch of him was built to please the eye and his performance left all others in the dust. I crawled up the bed kissing up his thigh until I reached his balls and sucked one in my mouth then the other. His hand moved when I licked from the root to the tip before taking him in, inch by inch. As I pulled out and licked the head, there were salty droplets as a treat. I reached down and ran my hand up and down my cock as I continued to blowing Brian. Brian started to tense, but pulled me off before he could cum and flipped me over onto my back on the bed. His hands traveled down my chest, stopping to pull on my nipple rings before traveling further down my abs until he wrapped his hand around my cock and leaned into kiss me. I struggled to stay still when all I wanted was to thrust into his hand. I was begging for him to fuck me after he teased my rim on each downward stroke, and Brian, wanting to give me what I wanted, grabbed a condom and lube. Moving down between my legs and putting them up over his shoulders while adding lube to my hole to make taking him easier. He began fucking me with one finger then pushed the second and third in. I felt his hand holding my hip as he pushed his cock in slowly, inch by inch. When he was all the way in he pulled out and thrust back again. He was taking his time and enjoying my frustration at his pace, but eventually became more aggressive, thrusting faster. He pulled all the way out before slamming his hard length into me. He was no longer taking it easy but giving us both what we wanted and all that was heard was the echos of our grunts and skin slapping together until I came, and then it was my screaming and the slaps of our skin. Brian thrust in as far as he could go and came. We both laid next to each other catching our breath. Finally, noticing his phone lighting up, he didn’t even look, but dragged me to the shower. I let him know after round two that we were adding a shower like this one to our house.


Brian fell asleep and I looked, and the number of texts just kept climbing. One thing Brian needed to do was get a throw away phone, with Deb and Michael only getting that number.





Chapter 13 by starlight

DEB


When Vic called to say Michael was at the hospital, I left work and go there as soon as possible. I expected to see Brian and the guys waiting, but it was just Vic. He let me know that Michael went in alone and didn’t want him there. I walked to the nurses station and got the information about where to find Michael, but first I wanted to know why Vic was the only one here.


“I told Brian and the guys if there was a reason for them to come I’d call them. I didn’t see any reason for us to fill the waiting room when Michael was up and walking. I only brought him in when his doctor asked to see Michael after he called the doctor himself.” I tell her.


“You're telling me that instead of coming to make sure Michael was okay they just went on partying? If it was one of them, Michael and I would come no matter what you told them.” I tell him.


“Deb…”


“Don’t even try to defend them, Michael spends too much time letting Brian off with excuses. I’m going to check on Michael then you and I are going to talk to Brian about his responsibility to this family.” I tell him.


“You can do what you want, but I’m not going to go with you. There was nothing wrong with Michael, other than not liking that Brian has a partner now. Since you're here, I’m going home to my partner, because like I said, there is no reason we came here tonight.” He tells me, shaking his head.


I found the cubicle the nurse told me Michael was in and was about to go in, but stopped when the doctor started almost lecturing Michael.


“We’ve talked about this for the last year Michael. There isn’t any need for more therapy when your leg is perfectly healed. The therapist signed off on you because there’s no reason to continue once you were walking and capable of resuming normal activities, which would have happened years sooner if you hadn’t been doing things that went against your therapy. The only reason I came in was to once again x-ray your leg and prove to you that nothing has changed in the last four years. I’m worried about why you seem to want to me to find something wrong with you. These visits are costly and no insurance will cover them when I have to report that there wasn’t a reason for the visits. It’s why I stopped prescribing you pain killers, because they're not something to mess with when you don’t have a need for them.” He tells Michael.


“Look, the bill will be covered if that’s what this is about.” Michael tells him.


“I’m not worried about my bill, but that maybe it’s time for you to see a doctor who can help you see that the pain you're describing is in your head, not your leg. It happens Michael, patients sometimes don’t believe they’ve mended and the mind makes us think the pain is still there. As for tonight, you twisted your ankle, but stay off it and you’ll be fine.” He tells him.


I backed away and waited for Michael in the waiting room when the doctor told him he could go. That can’t be right. Four years. Michael barely started to walk four years ago. I tried to remember if I ever talked to the therapist Michael had been going to, but remembered he asked me to not attend the sessions because Michael resisted doing anything with an audience. I let Brian take him to the doctor because it made Michael happy, but why didn’t Brian say anything when apparently the doctor was saying Michael was fine?


I sat in the corner waiting, and Michael came out looking in front of him for someone, and when he didn’t see me, he walked right by, not even limping to the door. Then turned back and saw me and started towards me, grimacing and rubbing his leg as he got to me and practically fell in the chair next to me. He started talking, but all I could see were all the times he had me waiting on him hand and foot in the last year, when there was nothing wrong with him. I was running out of work, losing hours because of this, and then helping him pay his bills so he would be able to keep his apartment. I didn’t know what to do, so I left him sitting there and walked out of the hospital, feeling like a complete fool for trying to convince everyone that they weren’t doing enough for my son.


Michael followed me out, yelling he needed help walking, and all the worrying I’d been doing turned into anger. I guess I snapped, because I started hitting him with my purse and chasing him all over the parking lot, trying to hit him more for what I did to everyone, because Michael played us all for fools. When the security guard tried to stop me I told him to move, because my son was going to learn not to lie and abuse his mother.


BRIAN


Justin called in an order since he said he wasn’t in the mood to cook after round four. It gave me a second to worry that maybe I should have gone with Vic, if only to keep Deb from giving him grief for me not being there. It’s also something that bothers me; that if Justin or I got hurt that no one would let either of us in or tell us anything that was going on because we weren’t related. We needed to talk about this, because Justin has a propensity to drive recklessly. I don’t want to be waiting for Jen before anyone would tell me anything. Justin doesn’t need Michael to be the one who controls anything either.


“Why not call Vic and find out, just in case.” Justin tells me.


“One of the things about Vic is that he’s the level headed one, and would call if there was a reason. It wasn’t what I was thinking about.” I tell him.


“You looked like something was bothering you.” He tells me.


“Who is your POA?” I ask.


“My Grandfather, because he wouldn’t make irrational decisions, like my mom and sister.” He tells me.


“At least you made a decision with good reasoning.” I tell him, thinking drunk and high I would have agreed to my mother, but stuck with Michael.


“I’m going to guess, who ever is yours bothers you now.” He asks.


“Michael and I made each other our POAs after he woke up. He didn’t want his mother being the one they had to deal with. At the time, I didn’t really care, so I put him down.” I tell him.


“They can be easily changed, and I really don’t see Michael and I doing well if he’s in charge.” I tell him.


“I don’t want to have to wait for your family if something happens to you.” I tell him.


“I can understand that, and if you want us to change it, then we will. Up until now my grandfather was just the best choice in the family.” He tells me.


“Will it cause problems with him if you change it?” I ask, not really knowing anything about how his grandfather operates.


“He’ll want to meet you, but trusts me when I make decisions.” He tells me.


“There’s a lot about my past and family that you don’t know. We aren’t what you’d call upstanding citizens.” I tell him.


“You want to know the one invention my grandfather hates that he relies on, cell phones. He joked they ruined the world, because now people can’t deny something that gets broadcast the minute someone takes one out and hits record. Cell phones got rid of the myth that the social elite could do nothing wrong. Remember one thing. My family doesn’t get to decide anything in this relationship.” He tells me.


“I just don’t want you to get blindsided about my life. I know you didn’t care about the tricking, but there was also drugs and drinking to the point that my liver should have failed. It’s the one thing the accident helped me stop doing. I still drink, but not the way I did, drugs I let go of because my son needed to know it’s not something I want him doing.” I tell him.


“If anyone in my family has a problem with you, then it’s their problem, not ours. My grandfather is a lot like my mother as far as judging people, so I doubt beyond asking what political party you vote for, he’ll have much to say. He’ll be too busy trying to figure out how to turn Gus into the next president one day.” He jokes.


When the buzzer rang Justin’s stomach let me know he was ready for food. I got up before Justin and went to answer, but it was Ted and Blake standing there with Justin’s food in their hand.


“What are you doing here?” I ask, taking the bag and handing it to Justin.


“Ted thought you might want to help Deb. I told him to just let her and Michael fight it out in the police station and see who wins.” Blake tells us.


“It was a thought, but sooner or later they’d call you, so I stopped by to let you know I’ll handle it for you.” Ted tells us.


“What happened?” Justin asks, stuffing a fry in my mouth.


“Not really sure, just that the security guard at the hospital got tired of Michael and Deb fighting in the parking lot and called to have them removed. I got the call from Emmett, when they couldn’t get a hold of you or Vic.” He tells me.


“We might as well go, plus I can say hi to Carl.” Justin tells me.


“Carl?” Ted asks.


“Justin made all sorts of friends when he visited the Pittsburgh PD.” I tell them.


“They liked Britin.” Justin tells us, getting his keys.


“Britain?” Ted asks.


“Britin. My car. Where you and Brian come up with Britain makes me wonder about your hearing.” Justin tells me, handing over his keys when I held out my hand.


“Where the hell did you come up with the name Britin?” I ask.


“One day I’ll tell you.” Justin says, before walking out the door.


“Is this really that hard for you two to figure out?” Blake asks, following Justin.


“It doesn’t make any sense to me.” Ted tells me as we walked out.


We got to the station and could hear that Deb was still going strong. They had her cuffed to a chair and Michael on the other side of the room. I know the cops had to see this wasn’t the way to quiet Deb down.


“Hey Carl, Brian and I settled things!” Justin yells over Deb.


“Want to tell me what this is about? All we can get is that Red here isn’t happy with her lying son!” Carl yells at us.


“I spent years being a good mother to him! He lied to everyone for years, the shit treated me like his housekeeper for years!” Deb yells.


“I didn’t tell you to do anything, you were the one who showed up and did it.” Michael screeches.


“You had me believing that you were still hurt. Today I heard the truth from your doctor! You’ve been fine for four fucking years!” Deb yells.


Hearing that was the last blow to our friendship when Michael didn’t deny it, but looked upset that Deb knew. I left without caring if either of them needed my help, angry that I had let Michael pull me away from Justin all this time.


“I named her Britin because it was a way for me to know we’d always be together.” Justin tells me, catching up to me.


“Why tell me now?” I ask.


“So you know that even when we weren’t together, you were with me. Here.” He tells me, putting his hand over his heart.

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

JUSTIN


After hearing what Deb said, Brian’s mood went downhill for the next week. He left early every morning, saying he wanted something to show Lee and me as a possible campaign for the new line of cars and needed to work. I left him alone because he was broadcasting loud and clear that it wasn’t something he wanted to talk about. It wasn’t like our past, but it reminded me of how he reacted when I asked about Michael. It wasn't something he could talk about, his feelings were too raw after hearing that Michael was scamming everyone. This morning when he got up at four to go to work I got up and decided to go to MacTaylor instead of crowding him.


“Why are you up?” Brian asks, grabbing his tie.


“I need to check on things at work, I might need to stay there a few days, but call if you need me and I’ll come right back,” I tell him, grabbing my keys.


“Why not drive home after work?” He asks.


“I would but you aren't here until ten or later lately. I can be back by the weekend when you don't have to go to work.” I tell him.


“I was planning on having my team work this weekend.” He tells me, which sounded like an excuse.


“Then call if you decide to work, I'll just stay out of the way,” I tell him, running out the door before we turned this into an argument.


I got into West Virginia as my phone rang and I debated letting it go to voicemail. This wasn't me trying to piss him off, I just wanted to give him time and space, where he could deal with what was bothering him.


“Brian, it's not a big deal if you need space,” I tell him.


“Why do you think I do?” He asks, sounding pissed.


There was still the memory of how these conversations went with us, and it was time to change the way I avoided arguing with him in the past because sex wasn’t an option right now. “If you didn't, then why are you staying at work all night, only coming home in time to sleep?” I ask.


“Planning a campaign takes time, it doesn't always make being home in time for dinner possible.” He tells me.


“Then you have three days to figure it out without worrying about coming home,” I tell him, hanging up.


I didn’t even go in the building but headed to the track. I wanted to clear my head before speaking to him again. Quinn didn’t ask but jumped into one of the other cars and followed me. I was driving in the one I planned to give Brian on his birthday. I almost sold it after we broke up, but I didn’t want anyone else to own it. I hooked up my iPod to the speakers and cranked up 'New Divide' by Linkin Park and hit the gas when my car hit the track. When I came to the first turn, the car’s rear fishtailed and I let off the gas to straighten her out and sped up on the straightaway. On the third lap, I saw Brian standing there, apparently still in a shitty mood. I slowed and stopped next to him and tossed him the keys.


“Take it easy on the corners, I don’t want to have to repair your car five minutes after I give it to you,” I tell him.


“Who the hell taught you to drive? The fucking thing almost flew off the track.” Brian tells me.


“I did, and he knew how to keep it from happening. Do you want to see what the car can do or bitch Justin out some more?” Quinn asks, getting back in his car.


“You lose and you buy drinks tonight,” I tell him.


BRIAN


I know it hasn’t been easy for Justin to be around me this week, but it wasn’t easy for me to feel like Michael valued our friendship as little as he did by lying about what the doctors told him so he could use it when I pulled away from him. When Justin got dressed and told me he wasn’t coming home tonight I wanted to lash out at him for acting like it wasn’t a big deal. When I called, I wanted to tell him I needed to him at home because it was other people I wanted space from, not him, so it pissed me off when he thought it was him.


Instead of going to work I showed up to talk to him and was told by Lee to go to the track. Which was in time to see him almost lose control of the car. It was barely a couple of seconds, but in a car, that’s all that matters. He didn’t stop but sped up and kept going, making me understand why Jen couldn’t watch what Justin did here. I wanted to yell at him but he stopped me by telling me to drive my car. My car?


“Do you give away cars to everyone?” I ask Justin as Quinn revs his engine.


“Nope. And I only give the cars I design to the people who they were made for, so Happy Birthday a bit early. Now go show Quinn your tail lights.” He tells me, kissing me.


“For luck?” I ask, holding on to him.


“No. This one was designed to be able to outpace every car but Britin, that race would only end with us in a tie.” He tells me.


Quinn was really a good loser for someone who raced for a living. When we all met at the local sports bar, I got to meet Daphne, who joked that if I wasn’t gay and in love with Justin, Quinn might have a run for his money. When Justin and Daphne took off to get drinks and wings, it left me sitting with Quinn.


“Justin only drives the way he did today when something is bothering him, but he also knows what the car can do. I only mention that because you looked like you were ready to throttle him when he pulled up.” He tells me.


“Accidents happen even when you do the right thing,” I tell him.


“Yeah they do, but normally because of other factors, like the road being slick, blind spots, or people doing stupid things that distract them from the fact they are driving a killing machine. Justin’s never done anything stupid because he loves his cars. Just to let you know, the car he designed for you was something he did after he came home from seeing you. Apparently, he didn’t like that you didn’t see your birthday as anything special. Do him a favor and just take the car, because he kept it after you and he broke up when there were people who offered to buy it from him. He told everyone there would only be one person for that car.” He tells me.


Justin and I were laying in bed that night when I finally told him why I’d been in a shitty mood all week. “I’ve always thought I could see through anything to the truth, but Michael managed to fool me, for four years. Every time he called it pulled me away from you. I left you in bed after you told me you loved me because Deb called in hysterics that Michael tried to overdose. When I got back he was perfectly fine. I spent six months not knowing where you were because Michael was still conning me. When I come home and you’re there, it shows me that Michael didn’t get what he wanted.” I tell him.


EMMETT


Ted called to tell me he wanted a night out, now that Brian was freeing the slaves from Kinnetik hell. Brian had been making them all work late to come up with a campaign for Justin and Lee. To the point that Blake was showing up with dinner in Ted’s office just to see him. I’d been waiting to see if the ‘Novotny Cold War’ ended yet. I think Antarctica has warmer winters than what the diner has been like when Michael shows up. Vic was even dodging both of them. We'd been staying away from the diner too, so we were surprised when we went to get something to eat only to walk in to see Deb blushing when apparently, the older gentleman in front of her said something. She nodded then wrote on her pad, tearing it out and handing it to him. She waited until he walked out to run over and give us the gossip.


“He asked me on a date,” Deb tells us excitedly.


“Who asked you on a date?” Michael asks, walking in.


The only answer Michael got was Deb walking into the kitchen, ignoring him.


“Who is she talking about?” Michael asks us.


Deb showed up, giving us orders that were for another table, so we gave the plates to the right people while Deb glared at Michael.


“Anything else will have to be ordered through Kiki because my days of being treated like your waitress are over.” She tells Michael, taking off her apron and grabbing her things before leaving.


“Since I’m going to be stuck with your mother’s tables and mine, I’m afraid I can’t serve you either,” Kiki tells Michael.


Michael turned to throw a dollar on Kiki’s tray. “That’s about all the service is worth to me.” He tells her.


“It’s more than you’ve ever left for anyone here before,” Kiki tells him.


“Can you believe the way Ma’s acting?” Michael asks, ignoring Kiki.


“Yes. I mean, you only lied to everyone for years, it really makes us wonder why you think any of us have any sympathy for you.” Blake tells him.


“The doctor was talking out of his ass and Ma jumped to conclusions,” Michael tells us.


“It would be more believable if Brian hadn’t made sure the guy was one of the best doctors in Pittsburgh. Which we need to talk about. How you plan to pay Brian back for the unnecessary visits he shouldn’t have been paying for in the first place?” Ted asks him.


Michael didn’t seem to want to answer Ted and walked out of the diner, saying Brian wouldn’t expect him to pay back the money. “Would he?” I ask Ted.


“I don’t know, but really he should. I really only said it because it will keep Michael away from Brian.” Ted tells me.




Chapter 15 by starlight

BRIAN


Ted came into my office with a file and handed it to me, only telling me to look at it. I flipped it open and it was all the bills from the doctors and therapists in the last four years.


“Why are you showing me this?” I ask.


“I think it's time you recouped the money you were paying for visits Michael never needed. Looking into it, I found out the insurance company stopped paying when the visits were no longer deemed necessary since Michael was fully recovered. Michael never accepted a lump sum like we were told. The money they gave him was what they give to say you can't sue for more later. All the hospital bills were paid as part of the settlement. He hid a lot from everyone, and no one questioned it because we trusted him.” He tells me.


“Where would he get the money to pay it back? He hasn’t worked in years, I never asked when he told me he got enough from the insurance company to be able to stay at his place. Because it kept me from letting him move in with me.” I tell him.


“I want to let Mel look into it at least because it’s like he still getting away with things.” He tells me.


“She can if she wants, I’m looking forward in my life, not back. It was only money, it didn’t cost me the most important things in my life, Justin or Gus.” I tell him.


“Just to let you know, Drew’s a bit green with envy at the car parked in the parking lot this morning.” He laughs.


“Tell Drew I got his car bumped up, that should make him happier. Now how about we talk about me winning the bet?” I smirk.


After Ted went back to his office, I looked over the paperwork he left on Michael’s bills. It’s money that Gus could have used to go to the college of his choice but went to my best friend. Ted was right, I trusted Michael to tell me what went on with his doctors, and when he told me that he and the lawyer could deal with the insurance company, it was a day off from the whole thing for me.


“I came to see if you wanted to go to lunch, but you look like you're busy,” Lindsay tells me.


I handed her the file and watched her look through it. When she closed it, I could tell she wanted to kill Michael.


“What are you going to do?” She asks.


“There probably isn’t a lot I can do. He didn’t ask me for the money, and I wasn’t questioning why the insurance company stopped paying for it. By that time I'd met Justin and paying the bills didn’t really seem as important as the freedom from Michael when he stopped asking me to be at all his appointments.” I tell her.


“Where is Justin today?” She asks, changing the subject, but putting the file in her purse.


“His grandfather is coming for his mother’s wedding, and he wanted to talk to him alone about a few things,” I tell her.


“How about lunch then?” She asks.


“What are you up to Wendy?” I ask.


“Nothing at all Peter. I just wanted to keep the Cold War in the deep freeze. It’s been nice watching Michael not being able to squirm his way out of something.” She tells me.


I went, because who was I to deny Wendy her fun? I walked in and Deb started treating me like the good son, practically bowing down to anything Lindsay and I asked. I finally had to stop when Lindsay changed her order for the third time. Deb looked ready to rip her pad in half.


“Wendy?” I warn.


“Never mind, I’ll take the first thing I ordered.” She tells Deb, who stomped off.


“What was the purpose of that?” I ask her.


“To show her what it’s like when you can’t seem to make up your mind.” She tells me, which makes sense to her, so I really didn’t ask for an explanation.


Deb delivered our food by plunking Lindsay’s plate down hard but putting mine neatly in front of me. Then she would show up every few seconds, asking if I need a refill or anything else. When she tried to put a napkin in my shirt, I stopped her.


“What are you doing?” I ask Deb.


“I know how you are about your clothes and didn’t want your soup to spill on it.” She tells me.


“I think I learned to eat without a napkin when I was five, so thanks, but stop,” I tell her.


“I was just looking after you,” Deb tells me.


Lindsay got up, leaving the file on the table and kissed my cheek. “It’s an interesting read, Deb,” Lindsay tells her, tapping the file before walking out.


I tried to get the file away, thinking Lindsay took it to show Mel but apparently thought Deb would care. Deb snatched the file, looking at the bills and closing it after only seeing a few of the pages. I took it because it was my only proof of Michael fooling me.


“I talked to a psychiatrist about what Michael was doing. She said that it could be that Michael got the attention he always wanted and it made him believe in order to get it, he had to have everyone believing he was still hurt.” She tells me.


“Why do you think I care?” I ask her.


“It would explain why Michael did it.” She tells me.


“Maybe for you, but for me, it was just one more thing in a long list of things he did, with you backing him up. It’s something that I just can’t brush aside the way you want me to.” I tell her, leaving her the money for the bill and finally getting what Wendy was doing.


JUSTIN


My grandfather came off the plane with one of his aides in tow. He never could take a day off, but when he reached my mom, he stopped talking about business and grabbed her in a hug.


“You look happy, Darling.” He tells her.


“I am Dad, thanks for coming.” Mom kisses his cheek.


He looked over at me, giving me the look that made me want to confess my sins every time. “I wasn’t thinking,” I tell him.


“Hey Granddad, I’m still the good one,” Molly tells him, getting all his attention.


“Yes you are, but Justin and I need to talk about the one place I always asked you two not to find yourself in. It’s rather boring in jail.” He jokes with me.


“The smell convinced me, trust me.” I joke back.


“Your mother told me that you're moving to Pittsburgh, and something about a possible baby being involved.” He tells me.


“Yes, I’m moving here and my partner has a son,” I tell him.


“Partner, are you forgetting his name?” He asks.


“I’m so disappointed you didn’t know already. Mom’s falling behind on telling you everything we do.” I joke.


“You know, I was hoping for a lawyer, not an advertising exec. How am I ever going to get this family into the White House?” He sighs dramatically. “Lee when you finally get off your butt and ask Molly out maybe, but until then I can settle for Kinnetik helping to promote my candidates.” He tells us, laughing when Molly turns to Lee, confused.


Molly grabbed Lee’s arm and told us she would see us later. We went to get my grandfather’s things before I offered to take him to meet Brian.


“Your mother seemed confused about how long you’ve been with Brian.” He tells me.


“We were together for two years before we broke up for a while. We both talked and realized that we didn’t want to be apart.” I tell him.


“As long as it’s what you want, you know I’m behind you. Now tell me about this rehab center the young man Blake called me about?” He asks.


“I don’t know more than Blake needs a new building because they offer free services to people who can’t afford rehab but want to get their life together,” I tell him.


“Why have him call me?” He asks.


“Because what he’s doing should be offered nationwide, but he’s only one man with a limited means of helping people,” I tell him.


“Good enough. Let him know we need to talk while I’m here.” He tells me when we pulled up to Kinnetik.


Mom left, saying she was meeting with Lindsay and Mel for lunch and would try to stop by so my grandfather could meet Gus later. I went to Cynthia’s desk and asked to see Brian. Her eyes got really big and she got up, saying she would be right back and took off into Brian’s office.


BRIAN


Ted was going over the budget for Leo’s account when Cynthia burst thru my door. She stopped, straightening out her jacket and hair before saying anything to us about her entrance.


“Do you know who’s in this building?” She asks me.


“My employees,” I tell her.


“Cole Andrews.” She announced, waiting for some reaction from us. “Jesus, do you two ever read anything other than financials. Cole Andrews is the man they call a ‘kingmaker’. If he’s here to talk to us about helping in campaigns for candidates, we’ll be the busiest business in Pittsburgh.” She tells us.


“Justin usually just calls him ‘Grandfather’,” Ted tells her, gleeful that once again he knew something Cynthia the wonder PA didn’t know.


“You can call me Cole, I hate formality,” Cole tells her, as he walks in with Justin.


“We just came by so you could meet, even though he was disappointed you aren’t a lawyer,” Justin tells me, smiling.


“One of my son’s mothers is a lawyer, and Jewish, if that helps,” I tell him, seeing Cynthia look horrified at my joking with the kingmaker.


“I can work with that, but maybe we can stick with me getting to know you for now.” He tells me, laughing.


“This is Ted, Blake's partner,” Justin tells Cole.


“I’m also Brian’s CFO here,” Ted tells him.


“I told Justin that I’d like to arrange a time for Blake to talk to me about his clinic. From what Justin said it’s something that shouldn’t be available only in Pittsburgh. If I like what I hear, we could be talking about more than just a building.” Cole tells him.


“We’ll look forward to talking to you about what Blake does,” Ted tells him.


“Good, let me know when.” He tells Ted.


“I was going to offer to let him stay with us,” Justin whispers.


“And?” I whisper, kissing him.


“I just wanted to make sure you were okay with it.” He tells me.


“It’s OUR house, which means, anything you want,” I tell him.


“I love you.” He kisses me again.


I looked up to see Cole beaming at us. “I think it’s time Justin introduces me to the Jewish lawyer, it seems I have a potential great-grandson in my future.” He tells me.


Cynthia squeaked behind him and we all watched as she ran out, to most likely warn Mel and Lindsay that royalty was visiting.



Chapter 16 by starlight

BRIAN


Cole and I were sitting outside on the patio while everyone helped clean up the kitchen before leaving. He spent most of the evening with Gus in his lap, telling us he missed when his grandchildren were this easy, back before Justin was a felon. Justin came outside with Gus, telling us everyone was going, but he’d see them out, handing me Gus to say goodnight to. I knew he wanted to give us time to get to know each other.


“I’m really proud of Justin for doing what he wanted instead of what his father expected,” Cole tells me.


“He doesn’t really talk about his father, but then again, I never really talk about mine,” I tell him.


“He wasn’t as close to Craig as he was to Jen. Craig died not knowing his son was gay. Only because Justin wasn’t ready to tell us yet.” He tells me.


“I made the mistake of telling my dying father I was gay, it didn’t really change anything,” I tell him.


“I think Justin knew it would change things, and not for the better if Craig knew.” He tells me.


“I take it you didn’t really like Craig,” I tell him.


“He cared how people viewed his family, and wanted to project the perfect nuclear family. There’s no such thing.” He tells me.


“Sounds like my mother, who tried to project that we were the perfect Catholic family. Only she ignored everything that said we were everything you never wanted to call your family.” I tell him.


“What made you tell your father?” He asks.


“My pseudo mother thought it might help bring us closer,” I tell him.


“I'm assuming it wasn’t something he was happy to hear?” He asks.


“We fought. Only this time I wasn't a kid. He did come over later with a picture of him and me, and he met Gus. It really didn’t matter, since he died soon after.” I tell him.


“I've never understood parents who don't cherish the children they were given. Watching you with your son tells me you were able to break the cycle in your family.” He tells me.


“Gus doesn’t need to track down his old man in the bar, hoping there's enough money left to feed the family and keep a roof over our heads,” I tell him.


“If you're wondering, I make my mind up based on the person, not where they come from. It wouldn't matter to Justin if I didn't like you, because I instilled in all my children and grandchildren that they were free to choose what they wanted in life. If Justin loves you, that's all I need to know.” He tells me.


“It wouldn’t matter what anyone thought. I don’t plan to lose him again,” I tell him.


JUSTIN


Brian’s phone was ringing at two in the morning, it went silent but immediately started up again. Brian reached over me to get it when it whoever it was called for a third time.


“This better be good… I'll be right there.” Brian tells whoever it is, hanging up.


“What's going on?” I ask when he started getting dressed.


“Vic got taken to the hospital.” He tells me.


“Let me leave a note for Granddad,” I tell him, getting up.


“You don’t have to come. Ted only called because Deb’s giving Rodney a hard time.” He tells me, upset, but not because of Deb.


“I know I only met him, but I'd like to be there for him and you,” I tell him.


Brian nodded getting dressed and I went to my grandfather’s room to find him talking on his phone. “We're heading to the hospital. A friend of Brian’s is there. It sounds like there might be trouble at the hospital.” I tell him. Granddad told me to call if I needed him. Brian was upset enough that he didn’t say anything when I drove us.


“He’s the closest thing I have to a father.” He tells me before we get out at the hospital.


The minute we walked in, Michael flew into Brian’s arms, crying as if Vic had died. Deb was down the hall ordering the nurse to bring the doctor to see her. Emmett was sitting with his arms around Rodney, talking quietly. Ted came over and let us know what he knew about Vic.


“The doctor is trying to figure out what's going on, but as you can see Deb thinks it's more important that he talk to her. We're about to run into a bigger problem.” Ted tells me.


“What?” I ask.


“Mel's on her way, Deb isn’t going to like what she hears. I have to wonder why we all put this on him.” He tells me.


“Brian?” I ask.


“Vic knew Brian would deal with things, not cause chaos.” He tells me.


“I need you. I would think your blond piece of ass could understand that.” Michael says loudly when Brian tried to come over to me.


Deb looked over, not liking that Brian brought me, I assumed. Then decided I was right when she started in on Brian.


“This isn't the time to upset Michael. We need you to be here for us.” Deb snaps.


“This isn't happening. Brian loves Vic, and bringing his partner with him is no different than Blake and Drew being here for Teddy and me. I didn’t hear any complaints when our partners came with us.” Emmett fumes.


“He doesn’t even know Vic, and all he cares about is keeping Brian to himself,” Michael tells him.


“I need to find out why the doctor won’t come and tell us what’s going on. This is bullshit. I’m his sister.” She tells Brian.


Mel comes in and goes to the nurses' station, passing by Deb and Michael when they were busy with Brian. She handed the nurse the paperwork she had with her then came into the waiting area and asked to speak to Brian.


“Whatever you and Lindsay need can wait,” Deb tells her.


“No, it really can’t, and it’s something Brian needs to know,” Mel tells her.


Brian disentangled Michael from him, walking over to me and taking me with him to follow Mel. Which only caused Michael and Deb to try and follow us, but got stopped by Drew blocking the way.


“Brian, I really wish I didn’t have to be the one to tell you. Vic asked that you be his POA. He said after the last time he didn’t want Deb making any decisions for him.” She tells him.


“What about Rodney?” He asks.


“He did this a few years ago, and most likely just didn’t think to update it. The nurse already knows everything comes to you first. Lindsay and I talked and she knows I’m staying because we know how Deb is going to react to this.” She tells him.


Brian takes the paperwork, asking Mel to give him a minute. “Justin this is going to get ugly.” He tells me, holding me.


“I’ll try not to make it worse, but I’m not leaving you to deal with this alone. I’m starting to really see what it was like for you.” I tell him.


I went to sit with Emmett when Deb and Michael crowded Brian. They could scream and shout, but I wasn’t letting Brian be alone. “Vic made Brian his POA,” I whisper to him.


“After seeing the mother and son team, I would say he made the right choice.” He tells me.


“Brian Kinney?” The doctor calls from the doorway.


“Why are you asking for Brian, I’m Vic’s sister?” Deb asks, confused.


“Yes,” Brian answers, walking towards the doctor.


“Excuse me, but I’m the person who you need to talk to,” Deb tells the doctor, trying to cut in front of Brian.


“Why don’t you and Brian step outside, I’ll explain things to the others,” Mel tells the doctor.


“I need to find out what’s going on,” Deb tells her, trying to walk out.


“You’ll have to wait for Brian to tell you,” Rodney tells her.


“What the fuck are you talking about, it should be Ma.” Michael screeches.


“They have to talk to the person Vic put in charge, which was Brian,” Mel tells them, causing both of them to start in on Mel.


“Both of you stop. Vic doesn’t need either of you questioning his decisions. You sat here yelling at Brian for bringing Justin when the biggest problem has been you two demanding the doctors stop treating Vic to talk to you. It really tells me Vic knew better than to choose either of you. It’s not Mel’s fault that Vic made this decision. It was HIS decision, she had nothing to do with it. You are both shouting it’s about Vic to Brian, but somehow think it’s all about you.” Blake tells them.


Deb sat down when Emmett shook his head at what she was about to say. When Brian came back Michael grabbed his hand and pulled him to sit with him and Deb. Blake sat next to me, as Brian talked to both of them. Michael looked over at me and smirked when Brian and Deb were talking. Brian got up and came over to the rest of us, to let us know that it wasn’t as bad as Deb’s crying made it sound.


“His kidneys are infected, but it’s common with HIV patients. Vic just needs to stay to make sure it’s cleared up. He wanted you to stay with him tonight. The doctor and I agree that he doesn’t need everyone here, he needs to rest.” Brian tells Rodney.


“Deb isn’t going to want to go,” Rodney tells Brian.


“Then she can stay in the waiting room unless Vic asks for her. The doctor already knows that. I’m going to take Deb and Michael to see him and then bring them out, so you can go in. Call me if he needs anything else. I’ll be back in the morning to meet with the doctor, and if you want to be there you can be.” Brian tells him.


“We’ll wait for you at the front of the hospital,” I tell him when I couldn’t see staying helping Brian.

 

 

“I’ll be down as soon as I make sure what Vic wants is done.” He tells me.


“Brian, why not tell him to go home. We need to stay here in case something happens. In fact, you and I should stay at the loft tonight, so we can get here if Vic needs us.” Michael tells him.


“That’s actually a good idea. Justin, do you mind if you and I stay in town tonight?” Brian asks me, not making Michael very happy.











Chapter 17 by starlight

BRIAN


Justin left and told me he’d be waiting up for me. I couldn’t leave Rodney here alone until I made sure Deb didn’t run over everyone to get what she wanted. Michael took Justin’s leaving as he’d won something over Justin. Justin walked over to the nurses' station and handed her something before leaving, but I didn’t have time to figure out what he was doing because Deb seemed to think arguing was going to change who the POA for Vic was.


“Brian, I’ve been through this before, and he needs me to kick his ass when he tries to give up,” Deb tells me.


“He has a kidney infection, Deb, it’s not like the last time. Let’s go in and check on him, then allow Rodney to stay as Vic wants.” I tell her.


“It might be better if you, Ma, and I stay too. We need to be here as a family.” Michael tells me, trying to grab my hand as I pulled it away.


“If you two want to see him before you go home, we need to go, so I can get home to Justin,” I tell him, walking to Vic’s room.


Deb charged ahead of us to get to his room before we did. I walked in to see Deb treating Vic like a child, which wasn’t making Vic happy to have them here.


“Sis, I’m fine, and I really don’t understand why you woke everyone up.” He tells her.


“How was I supposed to know anything when the doctor couldn’t be bothered to come and tell us you were okay? Now, apparently, I have to wait for Brian to tell us anything. What made you think he was the person to put in charge?” She demanded.


“I put him in charge because Brian would listen to the doctors, which you never do,” Vic tells her.


“It doesn’t matter, because now that we’re here you can tell the doctors that I’ll handle everything,” Deb says, ignoring what Vic told her.


“We’ll all help out Uncle Vic. I tried to tell Brian it would be better for us to all be here together, and if Brian’s in charge then he needs to see that OTHER THINGS aren’t a priority over us.” Michael puts in.


“Since I’m not dying and can make my own decisions, Brian really doesn’t actually need to be here,” Vic tells them.


“I would have come anyway,” I tell him.


“Which I appreciate, but I’m really ready to rest so I can get out of here. Everyone should go home.” He tells us.


“I’ll get Rodney,” I tell him, trying to usher Deb and Michael out when they didn’t listen to what Vic was saying.


“I’ll stay here since Vic is going to need me,” Deb tells us.


“No. It’s not what Vic wants, and for once you're going to listen to him.” I tell her, taking her by the arm and walking her to the waiting room.


“We’ll be waiting for you, we need to talk,” Deb tells me, sitting her and Michael down.


Rodney got up and followed me. “If I didn’t love Vic so much, they would be the reason to let him go.” He tells me.


“You're most likely the only thing that keeps him sane,” I tell him, as we go in the room.


“I should have just gone home instead of sitting around the diner to walk Deb home tonight,” Vic tells me.


“It’s not like you thought you were going to get sick,” Rodney tells him.


“Brian, she knew I was okay when we were in the ambulance, I’m not sure why she called anyone but Rodney.” He tells me.


“She didn’t call me, Emmett did,” Rodney tells him.


“I can deal with everything, just get well. Justin likes you and I want you and Justin to get to know each other.” I tell him.


“Make sure Deb and Michael don’t run him off, he makes you happy,” Vic tells me, looking at Rodney.


“Justin hasn’t really seen them as a reason to leave me, but as a reason to stay with me,” I tell him, as I head to the waiting room to tell everyone to go home.


As soon as I walked in Deb was out of her chair. “We need to talk to the doctor, Vic isn’t thinking clearly if he doesn’t know I would be the best person to handle this for him.” She tells me.


“With what you did tonight, I think he was thinking very clearly. I called every one, scaring the shit out of them because you made it sound like Vic was dying. Rodney didn’t even know what was going on, because you left him out, instead of calling him.” Ted tells her.


“Right now it doesn’t matter that Deb didn’t think about what Vic would want. It’s time to go home and leave him to get better.” I tell them, waving at everyone to leave.


“See, this is why he shouldn’t have put you in charge. You can’t be bothered when the family needs you. Look at what happened when Michael needed Brian here. He didn’t come because partying was all he cares about.” She tells everyone.


“Do you really want me to tell you what I think of Michael and all the unnecessary visits I paid for? Right now, I’m willing to leave it alone, even though it was money that I could have put aside for things Gus needed. But believe me, there is only so far you can push me on what your son was doing for four years to fool not only you but all of us. I will not jump to attention because you only remember things that make you and your son look innocent, and make me look like I’m the asshole for not loving Michael the way he wants me to. I gave up my life to help Michael, but I’m not going to continue to give up what I want because you think I still owe Michael my life. I won’t have Justin attacked by either of you because you don’t like that he’s the one I plan to marry one day. Now, I’m leaving to go home to my partner. I will be back in the morning to make sure Vic’s wishes are being followed, even if it means having you and Michael barred from his room.” I tell her, leaving so furious that I’m ready to throttle Deb.


TED


All of us were silent when Brian left the room. I could honestly say we were all shocked by Brian finally standing up to Deb and her way of using anything to make us all feel like shit if we didn’t see things her way.


“Brian’s finally getting it,” Drew tells us.


“Unfortunately, so is Michael,” Blake tells us.


“He had to know. It’s not like Brian isn’t making it obvious who he wants to be with.” Emmett tells us, as Michael got up and took off out of the room after Brian.


“Michael where are you going?” Deb yells, leaving to find him.


We all followed, wanting to let Brian leave before they pissed him off any further. We caught up to Deb, who stood back, with her hand over her mouth, while Michael was screaming at Brian.


“HE DOESN’T GET THE THINGS YOU PROMISED ONLY ME. I SPENT MY LIFE WAITING AND LETTING YOU DO THE THINGS YOU WANTED, BUT NOW YOU PICK HIM.” Michael yells.


Brian opened his car door, not paying any attention. Michael went over and slammed the door shut before Brian could get in the car. “ANSWER ME. WHAT THE FUCK MAKES HIM SO GODDAMN SPECIAL WHEN ALL OUR LIVES YOU NEVER WANTED ANYONE BUT ME?” Michael just couldn’t let it go, even when we could see Brian wasn’t going to play this game with Michael.


Brian moved Michael out of his way, but then turned and whispered something in his ear that had him backing away from Brian. Deb went running to him, and at that point, there was no reason to stay, because it wasn’t going to be us coddling Michael with Deb.



Chapter 18 by starlight

BRIAN


I knew Justin was waiting for me, but I didn’t want to bring home my anger at Michael pushing me to finally say what I’ve held in for years. All our lives I let Michael believe it was our friendship that kept me from changing our relationship, when the truth was something that would end our friendship. It was something no one needed to hear but Michael. So I leaned down and whispered, “I didn’t do relationships, wasn’t that what you told people? You got it partly right, I didn’t do relationships if the choice was you. I didn’t love you, I pitied you.”


I looked up at the light in the windows, knowing Justin was most likely going to find a way to soothe the rough edges. The same ones he soothed every time I called him to come to New York. It’s one of the things he did that he never knew about in the two years we were together. Only tonight just knowing he was there waiting was all I needed.


I walked into the loft, seeing him typing on his laptop, papers around him, and the loft had life in it because Justin was there with me. He looked up, moving everything out of my way, then let me lay my head on his lap while he ran his hands through my hair. He knew just how to help me relax.


“Is everything okay with Vic?” He asks me.


“What were you doing at the nurses station?” I ask.


“I let her know if Vic needed anything not covered by his insurance to call and we would cover anything his insurance didn’t. What’s wrong?” He asks me when I stiffened hearing that.


“Deb said one of the reasons Vic shouldn’t have chosen me was because I was too busy partying to be there for Michael the other night. I ended up talking to her in a way I never have before. Then Michael followed me, screaming bullshit. I’m just tired of it all.” I tell him.


“Then sleep, and I'll make sure nothing bothers you,” I tell him.


JUSTIN


Everything that happened to us before makes more sense the longer I'm here. I see the reasons he never wanted to talk about his life. I kept running my fingers through his hair until he was sleeping, then put a pillow under his head. It was hard to not want to find Deb and Michael and bitch them out. Although it wouldn't accomplish anything, since they only care about what they want and apparently don't listen to anything anyone tells them.


When I picked up all the plans I’d been working on for our house to put on Brian’s desk, they fell on the floor. I picked up everything, but found a folder that wasn’t mine. Opening it, I saw it was full of bills, with notes about payments made by Brian. Looking through them, you could almost date when Michael actually recovered. I called my grandfather to ask if there was some way for Brian to recoup some of the money.


“It depends on if he specifically offered to pay the bills because he was told the visits were necessary to Michael’s recovery. If he did, then he could sue for fraud. If that's the case, then he needs witnesses who can verify it was given because he was led to believe Michael was still recovering from the accident. The easy part is that he can have access to all the insurance records because the car in the accident was his,” He tells me.


“At the time, and even now, Brian was listed as Michael’s POA, could the doctors make his records available to Brian?” I ask.  


“That's a tricky one, while unable to make decisions Brian would have access to Michael’s records, but once Michael was able to make his own decisions, it would be up to him if Brian was allowed the information,” He tells me.


“Michael had all the bills sent to Brian,” I tell him.


“Are they in Brian’s name and listing Michael as the patient?” He asks.


“Yeah, it weirdly looks like the bills Mom got for Dad,” I tell him.


“Before I look into this, you need to find out if Brian gifted the money without conditions, or were there stipulations on it being for necessary treatment. If it was gifted, than Michael won't be required to pay it back,” He tells me.


“I'll ask him when he wakes up,” I tell him.


“Was everything okay with Vic?” He asks.


“Vic has a kidney infection, but Deb made it sound worse. Which caused a bigger problem when Ted had Mel bring Vic’s POA. Brian was in charge, but Vic could make decisions, so I doubt it matters now. It was a lot of drama over nothing, which apparently is normal when it comes to Deb and Michael,” I tell him.


“Let me know what he wants to do. Tell him I can get him one of the best fraud lawyers in the country if he decides to go ahead with it,” He tells me.


“Thanks. By the way, Brian and I are going to change our POAs to each other,” I tell him.


“Are you two planning to combine all your finances?” He asks.


“We only talked about POA. I plan to spend my life with him, so it would make sense to combine everything. I at least want to pay for half of the house, since it's ours,” I tell him.


“Talk it over with him. Make sure he understands what you bring into this relationship. It's not easy on someone like Brian, who worked for everything in his life, to find out you have more,” He tells me.


“How would you know?” I ask.


“My career should tell you that, you don’t support a candidate unless you know there isn’t a skeleton that will bite you in the ass. Other than Brian’s family being less than stellar, he's never done anything you haven't, well, in going to jail you're one up on him,” He jokes, hanging up.


I put everything back, deciding to leave it alone unless Michael and Deb cause him to come home this upset again, then I'll let my grandfather loose on them.


TED


Blake was cleaning out the closet again, which means he's angry. I don't have to ask why, what Deb and Michael did pissed him off. It's something that's always bothered him - the way they treated Brian. Emmett said it bothered Drew, too. Blake couldn’t understand why everyone stuck up for Michael and shit on Brian. My explanation had him disappointed in all of us. I told him it's how it's always been. He asked why none of us opened our eyes and saw the way Michael manipulates everyone into siding with him. After Mel jumped on me, it opened my eyes. Blake told me it should have opened my eyes that Brian, the asshole, gave me a job, trusted me when no one else did, and never made me apologize for anything, even if it was my fault. Everything he said was true, but we were all blinded by how we began as friends.


“I've never asked this before, but I don't want Deb or Michael in our house,” Blake tells me, closing our newly organized closet.


“If that's what you want,” I tell him.


“It's the only thing I can say, short of telling you I don't want them in our lives,” He adds.


“I know what happened tonight bothers you, but you've never let them get to you before,” I tell him.


“I don’t want how they treat Justin to ever be the way they treat me,” He tells me.


“Blake, if that happened, they wouldn't like how I would react. Nothing in my life is more important to me than us.” I tell him.


“I know. I'm just angry for Brian. He's never done anything but help everyone. Yet even you can admit, for a long time he’s been treated like shit for helping people,” He tells me.


“For me, it was more my jealousy over him having anything he wanted,” I explained.


“How was that his fault?” He asks.


“It wasn’t, and now I know better,” I tell him.


“Thank god, because I was ready to paint the house, if you didn’t,” He jokes.


EMMETT


Drew paced in front of me, looking like he wanted to tackle someone. I knew exactly who, but it would only give Michael broken bones, which he would use to get attention. I'm just as angry, not only for Brian, but because I was scared, thinking we were going to lose Vic. Tonight showed me Deb could be as bad as Michael, by blowing things out of proportion.


“I want you to know I'm proud of you.” He tells me.


“Okay. Why?” I ask.


“Tonight you didn’t let Deb get away with her bullshit. It's something that bothered me, that no matter what Deb or Michael did, you seem to overlook it,” He tells me.


“I really don't have a good excuse for why, it's just the way we've operated. It has a lot to do with Deb caring about us when none of us had families that did,” I tell him.


“I appreciated when she stood by me, but it didn't mean overlooking the bullshit from her. There are times I like Deb, but not when it involves you guys kissing her ass for allowing you in her circle,” He tells me.


“I keep thinking Deb gets it, but she only gets it when she's mad at Michael,” I tell him.


“I don’t want her over here if it's a repeat of the last time. She uses all of you in hopes to get at Brian. That really bothers me, because he didn't do anything to deserve being conned by her son,” He tells me.


“I promise, if she shows up I slam the door in her face and beat you to your man cave,” I tell him, laughing.


“I'll let you share the cave when you do.” He tells me, pulling me up. “How about we work off some of my anger?” He asks, leading me to his cave.


LINDSAY


Mel came in and couldn’t say anything when she sat down. I got up and got her a drink, before asking her what happened at the hospital.


“How bad was Vic?” I ask, starting to worry more than I already had been.


“He wasn’t dying, which Deb had everyone thinking. His kidneys got infected, but the doctor said he should be home in a couple of days. Which meant I didn’t need to bring the POA, which caused Deb to jump on both Vic and Brian. To top it off, she acted like Justin being there was wrong, and not because of Vic. According to Emmett, Deb said that Brian shouldn’t have brought Justin because it would upset Michael. Then Michael tried to keep Brian away from Justin, and it took everything in me not to kick his ass when he smirked at Justin while Brian was explaining what the doctor told him,” She tells me.


“It’s why I told Michael I don’t want him over here anymore. He would smirk at me when he’d get Brian to wait on him. It was like he was trying to show me that Brian cared more for him than he did for me or Gus. I didn’t want Gus to grow up with Michael one day causing problems for Brian with Gus.” I tell her.


“I wish you’d told him it was so he could see that if you call Brian, he’d drop Michael to be with you,” She tells me.


“Wouldn’t that bother you?” I ask.


“Nope. Because I know who you love, and what you have with Brian is a loving friendship,” She tells me.


“It would have been fun, but I think Justin will have Michael squirming. How about we go upstairs and I show you a loving relationship? Michael and Deb aren’t worth talking about.




Chapter 19 by starlight

BRIAN


I woke up and headed in to take a shower before going to the hospital. Justin crawled out of bed, following me. He'd been up most of the night and I was going to let him sleep. I didn’t want him dealing with the bullshit at the hospital.


“I'm only planning on checking on Vic, then coming straight back.” I tell him.


“I wanted to talk to you about something I talked to my grandfather about.” He tells me.


When he stripped anything he wanted to talk about got lost, because we were lost in each other. It’s what happens when Justin and I are together in a shower. He ran his soapy hand down my chest until he reached my cock, then stroked any discussion right out of my mind. He let the water rinse the soap away before he went to his knees and took me in his mouth. I ran my hands through his hair, looking down into his eyes as he pulled back, only to take me down his throat again. Justin always took pleasure in hearing what he did to me, and knew exactly what to do to get the moans he wanted from me. Then he ran his hands around my thighs to my ass as he let his fingers tease my rim, before adding one then two fingers to rub the bundle of nerves that only made me harder, and ready to give him the treat he worked for. I pulled him off me and turned him, grabbing a condom. We were both screaming as I thrust into him, and didn’t slow down, because he was stroking himself in time with my thrusts. I waited until I felt him tighten around me before thrusting a few more times and cumming with him.


When we got out of the shower, I really just wanted to go back to bed and forget there was a world outside of us. Only the world outside wanted to invade us. Lindsay showed up as we were getting dressed.


“I wanted to visit Vic, since Mel said she would stay with Gus,” Lindsay tells me, like I couldn’t see she was pissed.


“Wendy, I think the hospital got enough drama last night,” I tell her.


“I wasn’t planning on causing any problems. I think it’s easier to just do what my family would do when they disapprove of you. I talked to Ted and Emmett, and apparently they love Blake and Drew enough that they are willing to show Deb and Michael that none of us are going to keep talking when neither one of them is listening,” She tells us.


“Michael should know after last night, there is nothing left for him,” I tell her.


“He should, but I wouldn’t count on it. I’m sure today he’ll convince himself that it was just you being upset about Vic, or whatever he has to believe to convince himself,” She mumbles.


I didn’t even try to argue with Lindsay, she’d just show up at the hospital anyway. It was better to keep her with me in case Deb or Michael really wanted to see how well Lindsay learned ‘ice queen’ from her mother.


“I wanted to ask a question about the money you paid for Michael, if that’s okay?” Justin asks, when we were in the car.


“It was so he wouldn’t have to give up on his therapy,” I tell him, not even wanting to talk about it.


“I know that was why you paid for things, but did you say it was the reason, or give him a reason to think it didn’t matter why you gave it to him?” He asks.


“Why are you asking?” I ask.


“I wanted to know,” He tells me.


“When Michael and Deb told me at a family dinner one night that the insurance wasn’t paying the rest of the bills, I authorized Ted to take care of any bills. Again, why are you asking?” I tell him.


“I don’t like that he took advantage of you. It’s probably why he doesn’t leave you alone. There aren’t any consequences for what he does. Don’t get pissed, but I talked to my grandfather, and he said as long as it was understood why you were paying the bills, and that if Michael was lying to you about needing treatment, it means he would have to pay it back. If you gifted the money to him, then there’s nothing you could do,” He tells me.


“Like I told Ted, Michael hasn’t worked for years. Where would he come up with the money? I don’t need it, but it would probably cost me more to sue him to get it back,” I tell him.


“It wasn’t gifted,” Lindsay tells him.


“Is there any proof?” Justin asks.


“Brian could ask Mel, since she helped Ted set up everything. All I know is that when we were sitting at the table, Brian did say that he would make sure Michael had the money he needed until he fully recovered,” Lindsay tells us.


“It doesn’t matter, because he has no way to pay it back,” I tell them.


“How has he supported himself? Brian, regardless of not having a job, he doesn’t seem to be hurting for anything,” Lindsay tells him


“We can talk about this later?” I ask them both.


“If you don’t want to do anything, I’ll leave it alone,” Justin tells me.


“I’ll talk to you about it later, but right now I just don’t want to,” I tell him.


“We should at least go ahead with our POAs, that way it’s done. My grandfather asked if we were going to combine our finances and I said I thought we should,” He tells me.


“We’re doing fine the way we are,” I tell him.


“I just don’t see the point in keeping them separate. Unless you want to keep the house in your name. Then we could just agree on who pays for what,” He tells me.


“It’s OUR house, that’s why I bought it,” I tell him, rolling my eyes when Lindsay’s giggles.


“Well then I want to pay for half of OUR house,” Justin tells me.


“I already paid it off, so there’s nothing for you to pay,” I tell him.


“I guess I wouldn’t feel that way if we combined everything,” He tells me.


“It makes sense, Brian. Unless you don’t see you and Justin together in the future,” Lindsay adds, making me realize they were using WASP reasoning on me.


“Then we could solve this without talking it to death anyway,” He tells her.


“True. When Mel and I got married, everything became ours,” Lindsay tells him.


I parked the car at the hospital before turning to Justin. “When you ask, the answer is yes,” I tell him, kissing him.


“Brian, marry me?” He asks.


“Anytime you want,” I tell him.


LINDSAY


After talking to everyone, we all decided to show Deb and Michael we weren’t going to include them in our lives if they insisted on making Brian’s life a nightmare. After what happened in the car, I wanted to make sure Brian and Justin don’t have to deal with the Novotny duo.


We went to Vic’s room together and I could tell Deb was waiting for Brian.


“What did you say to Michael? He was upset and crying all night!” Deb yells.


“Vic, how are you?” Justin asks, pulling Brian with him past Deb, ignoring her.


“I asked a question, and Brian is going to answer me,” Deb demands.


“We heard you, but I don’t see any reason he should have to answer to you,” Justin tells her.


“I wasn’t talking to you. Since it doesn’t involve you,” Deb tells him.


“It doesn’t involve you either, but that doesn’t seem to matter to you,” Brian tells her.


“Brian, I know you have a right to be angry about what Michael did, but you didn’t need to hurt him with whatever you said,” Deb tells him, using the caring mother voice that always gets Brian to give in to her.


“I told him the truth. It wouldn’t matter how I told him, he wouldn’t like what he heard. Now, you can demand, scream, and shout all you want, it won’t get me to tell you. Are we clear?” Brian tells her.


“Deb,” Vic warns when she started to say something.


“Vic, Mel and I wanted to have you and Rodney over for dinner when you get out,” I tell him, when Deb glared at him.


“We’d love to,” Rodney tells her.


“I’ll cook, since you girls never make anything people want to eat,” Deb tells me.


“Emmett was already planning on catering it, but thanks for the offer. It’s really just going to be a small gathering with Justin’s family, and I knew Brian would want Vic to meet them. I hope you don’t mind, but I really only wanted Vic and Rodney over that night,” I tell her.


“I’m sure you can add two more seats since I’m Vic’s family,” Deb tells her.


“No, I really can’t. I want to help Justin and Brian celebrate their engagement, and I don’t see having Michael there as a good idea. I want Brian, Justin, and Vic to be the center of attention, which wouldn’t be possible if you and Michael show up,” I tell her.


“Then none of my family will attend, since apparently you don’t want us there,” Deb tells me.


“Thank you for understanding,” I tell her, smiling. “Vic, just let me know when your being released and we’ll plan for dinner that night, or the next if you're not up to it,” I tell him.


“When I said my family, I meant NONE of my family would attend,” Deb tells me.


“Vic is part of MY family too, and it’s really up to him and Rodney to decide if they want to come,” I tell her.


“Which, as Rodney said, we’d love to,” Vic tells me.


Deb got up and walked out of the room, cursing up a storm. Brian kissed my head and held me for a second, silently approving of what I did. “You have wicked left hook, Wendy,” He whispers.


“I’ll have to tell my mother I finally learned something useful from her,” I tell him.


“Tell your grandfather I’m willing to look into it,” Brian tells Justin, which meant the hold Deb and Michael had was finally broken, because Brian had found his prince.

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

BRIAN


I asked everyone to leave Vic and me alone. I needed to know that he would understand if I did go ahead and sue Michael for the money. The money was gone, and really, it wasn’t about the money. It was about the fact that I wanted Michael to understand the friendship he ran around crowing about was over.


“What are you thinking about?” Vic asks.


“If I end up taking this to court…”


“If you do, either Deb faces that her son conned you, or she defends him. She wants to believe what the psychiatrist told her was most likely what caused Michael to make us all think he was still sick. That it got him the attention he wanted all his life from you,” He tells me.


“What do you think?” I ask.


“I think he’s wanted more than you could give him from the beginning. Then when you were sitting at his bedside after the accident, and came anytime he called, he knew it would stop if he recovered. You would once again resume your life; the one you wanted, the one that never included him in your bed,” He tells me.


“Then why did he get his own place, at the time he could have convinced me to let him stay with me?” I ask.


“He isn’t stupid, even with everything pointing out that he is. If you and he were sharing the same space, he knew you’d notice things, like the limp coming and going at whim. I think he didn’t want the fantasy he believes to be ruined by the reality; that living with you wouldn’t have changed that he wasn’t going to get to be more than a friend to you,” He tells me.


“I don’t even know what the point of suing him is, it’s not like Michael has the money to pay it back. Although, Lindsay mentioned that even without Michael working he doesn’t seem to be hurting for money.” I tell him.


“She has a point. Where is he getting money? It isn’t from Deb or me,” He tells me.


“I thought maybe he was living off the settlement with the insurance company.” I tell him.


“I’m not sure how much he got, because I never really asked. Deb said if he was careful he could live for a while off the money,” He tells me.


“But with Michael’s spending?” I ask.


“How he managed to live on his own for the past four years could be questioned. Why haven’t you?” He asks.


“I was starting to get my life back, because Michael convinced me he didn’t need me holding his hand at the doctor's office. Then I met Justin, and Michael made it easier to be with Justin by not needing me to do everything for him all the time. So I suppose I just ignored the obvious,” I tell him.


“Do what you need to do. I’ll still be there for you. The same way I always have and always will,” He tells me.


JUSTIN


Brian was sitting on the couch looking over boards. After Deb stomped out, and he’d talked to Vic, he hadn’t said much about the whole situation. I left him alone for a few hours, but then wanted to know what he was thinking. I also noticed something about the bills and wanted to ask, but not if he didn’t want to talk about it.


“We can leave the Michael thing alone, it really wasn’t my business,” I tell him, sitting next to him.


He put down the board he was studying before turning to look at me. “Anything in my life is your business. What bothers me is that it took this long for me to see what he was doing to me. I thought I was better at reading people than I obviously am,” He tells me.


“You considered him family, and trusted him. Until the accident, did he do anything that would have had you questioning him?” I ask.


“No. I knew he wished for more, but seemed satisfied that friends was all we were. Deb wants to believe that the accident gave Michael the attention that he waited for from me. I let him cling to me more than I did before, but it was because he wouldn’t do what the therapist wanted when I left him alone. I wanted him to get better,” He tells me.


“I don’t think he was satisfied. He was probably still hoping that you’d eventually want him. You mentioned that after the accident you stopped all the things you were doing and focused on Michael’s recovery. When the doctors started telling him he was healed, he didn’t want to hear it, because then you wouldn’t have given him the attention he craved from you. In a way Deb could be right about that, but it doesn’t excuse him from the fact that he was using you. I have a question about the bills. Why were the doctors still treating him when there was nothing to treat? It doesn’t make sense. I looked over some of the bills and they seem higher than a doctor would bill for a standard appointment. Think about it, why would they run tests that weren’t necessary?” I ask him.


“Deb said the primary doctor ran the tests to show Michael there was nothing wrong with him,” He tells me.


“Which explains that one bill, but not the ones from another doctor he was seeing. Maybe have Ted look into why that doctor was billing you for treatment that the primary doctor said wasn’t necessary anymore. I’m hoping I’m wrong, but it looks like Michael had someone billing for treatment that he didn’t have. The question then becomes, why would the doctor do it?” I ask him.


“How did you see that when Ted didn’t?” He asks, grabbing the folder.


“At the time, most likely what Ted was seeing was what he expected, because you all believed Michael was still recovering. If you look at the ones from primary doctor, his bills lessened around the time Deb said Michael was considered recovered. I started looking through the bills going forward, the bills for all the doctors but one, weren’t for more than my doctor bills for check-ups,” I tell him.


Brian looked through the ones I separated because of the cost difference from the others. “I need to call Ted and Mel, because David Cameron has some explaining to do,” He tells me.


“Who is he?” I ask.


“The chiropractor who blamed me for Michael not loving him,” He tells me.


TED


When Brian called and asked me if I knew David was one of the doctors that Michael was seeing, I was ready to wring my own neck for not seeing it.


“The practice wasn’t listed in David’s name?” I asked, because I would have noticed that.


“No. It’s listed as Health Care Solutions, but the doctor listed on the second page was David Cameron,” He tells me.


“Let me call Mel, and we’ll come over. I can’t believe I missed that,” I tell him.


I picked up Mel and explained to her on the way. She didn’t know what to make of the situation. Justin was grabbing everyone drinks when we came in and told us he was going to leave us to talk. Brian told him to stay, because he wanted him there.


“I thought David was still in Portland. How could he be treating Michael?” She asks.


“He never liked Brian, so he could possibly see it as a way to get back at Brian,” I tell her.


“By losing his license? He’d have to be stupid to risk losing everything, just for revenge,” She tells me.


“He wanted Michael, and would have seen this as a way of getting me back for Michael not giving him what he wanted. He might not have seen the ramifications, because he wasn’t running it through insurance companies, but directly billing me. It helped that we didn’t question the bills coming in for Michael,” Brian tells us.


“I should have been; but we were starting Kinnetik and you told me to just pay the bills when they came in,” I tell him.


“I still don’t think anyone would risk a career for what would be considered a small amount of money compared to what he was making,” Mel tells us, looking through them.


“Lindsay mentioned it, but do any of you know how Michael managed to pay for things?” Justin asks us.


“Michael never came to me for help, so no, I don’t,” I tell him.


“If David gave him the money for these bills, then where is it going? He lives in a modest apartment, doesn’t own a car, and really, eats most of his meals at the diner. Nothing really screams the money that were charged from these bills,” Mel tells us.


Justin got up and said he wanted to make a call. He sat on the phone talking while we waited for him.


“What did Michael like that he couldn’t afford? If he suddenly came into money he never had before, what would he spend it on? I asked Carl, he told me to ask you guys,” Justin tells us.


“Comics, maybe collectables, but he has so many I don’t think I ever paid any attention to them,” Brian tells him.


“He mentions them, but none of us pay attention, since it doesn’t interest us,” I tell him.


“Collectors pay mint when they want something. My cars are collectable the minute they're made because we only make one of each. The buyer sees an investment, because what they pay they could get three times more if they auctioned it off later. Find out if he has one of a kind items, and you could find where the money was going,” Justin tells us.


I went to Brian’s computer and looked up the practice listed on the bills. I think David has some questions to answer, since the practice is in Portland and Michael hasn’t left Pittsburgh since he came back. Brian looked over my shoulder and his glare said it all.


“If he helped Michael, he’s going to have a real reason to hate me,” Brian tells me.


“I need to go talk to someone,” He tells Justin.


“Call if you need me,” Justin tells him, kissing him and letting him go.


“Do you think it’s a good idea, letting him go?” Mel asks Justin.


“I think it’s his decision to make; and it’s mine to respect him for doing what he needs to do,” Justin tells us.




Chapter 21 by starlight

BRIAN


I stood in front of the door that at one time in my life was a haven from my father. When it opened, Deb must have thought I was coming to apologize to her for the way I had spoken to her, because she started talking about having dinner at her house and inviting Emmett and Ted, like old times.


“When did Michael start talking to David again?” I ask her, not even saying hello.


“David calls all the time since the accident. He was concerned about Michael,” She tells me.


“It’s too bad he didn’t come here. Michael could have used a chiropractor,” I tell her.


“Michael didn’t want you and David fighting with each other. Although he’s probably thinking now that David would have been someone he could depend on, since YOU’RE too busy with Justin. David also doesn’t treat me the way you do. Instead, he’s as worried as I am about why Michael would do what he did to you,” She tells me.


“Do me a favor when you talk to David, tell him congratulations on Health Care Solutions. I didn’t know until tonight that he didn’t name his new practice in Portland the same as the one he had here,” I tell her.


“Why would it matter what he called his practice?” She asks.


“It doesn’t. Except for one thing,” I tell her.


“What?” She asks.


“Well apparently, David is somehow treating Michael in Pittsburgh, from Portland. You want to know how? So do I, since I was billed for it. Why not call the perfect son-in-law and ask him how he managed it? Then let him know he’ll need to answer that to my lawyer.” I tell her.


“Why would David do that? And I know Michael wasn’t right, but my son needs help, he doesn’t need you two fighting,” She tells me.


“I spent years helping your son. And the last four being CONNED into believing he was still hurt. How much more help do you think he deserves from me? When are you going to open your eyes and stop finding reasons to excuse your son for everything he does?” I ask her.


“Brian I don’t blame you for being mad about what he did, I was angry too. I know what he did was wrong but…”


“You keep saying what he did was wrong, but do you even believe yourself when it comes out of your mouth? It’s almost as repetitive as when Michael says something nasty and follows it with the line ‘I didn’t mean it the way it sounded'. All of us know when Michael says that, what he’s really saying is he did mean it but doesn’t want to be held accountable for the way he said it,” I tell her.


“Why come here if it’s just to stir up shit?” She asks.


“I came because when I ask Michael to return ALL the money, you will know the facts, not Michael’s excuses. Fact; Michael had bills sent to and paid for by me for treatment he couldn’t have gotten from David. Which I paid for not realizing that it's likely how Michael has been supporting himself. When he comes crying to you, don't show up at my door to berate me, expecting a warm welcome. You keep saying Michael has problems, now at least it's going to be the truth. I plan to show Michael AND David, exactly how big of an asshole I can be,” I tell her, opening the door to see Michael standing there, looking hopeful. “Tell Dr Dave he has my thanks, for helping you to recover,” I tell him, going to my car.


DEB


I waited for Michael to look confused by what Brian said, but instead, he looked very worried. He started to make a call, but I snatched the phone from him and looked at who he was calling.


“Michael, are you there?” I heard David say.


“It's Deb,” I tell him.


“How are you Deb? Sorry Michael’s cell came up, it's why I thought you were Michael,” He tells me.


“You can talk to Michael in a minute. I just had a very interesting conversation with Brian about you and Michael, and I want you to tell me that he isn't right. He thinks you've been sending bills to him. Bills for treating Michael.” I tell him.


“Really?” He asks, after a couple seconds.


“Yes. Apparently, he's been getting bills from you. Why would he, since the only way you could treat Michael is over the phone?” I ask, angry.


“Ma, leave it alone,” Michael orders me.


“No. I won't leave it alone, I've been defending you to everyone. I want the truth, because if what Brian implied is true… he'll never forgive me for the things I've been saying,” I tell him.


“Deb, it's nothing. I'll handle Brian for Michael. Let me talk to Michael, and I'll make sure there's nothing to worry about,” David tells me.


“David, if you think Brian is going to let this go, you're seriously underestimating Brian Kinney. You and Michael can talk all you want, it won’t stop the hell Brian is about to send your way,” I tell him, hanging up.


“Ma, why are you listening to Brian? He hurt me,” He tells me, whining.


“Not as badly as the way you and I have been hurting him. What was going through you're head? Not only did you lie to all of us for years, but you found a way to make Brian pay; not only for hospital visits you didn’t need, but for spending money you didn’t deserve,” I say to him, still stupidity praying Brian got that wrong.


“I got the settlement and it didn't last long, and I didn’t want to come to you for money. You couldn’t afford it, so I asked David to help me. He wanted me to move back to Portland but I didn’t like it there. I ended up talking to David's receptionist, and he suggested the idea of he and I splitting the money from the bills. It wasn’t like Brian was going to question the bills,” He tells me.


“Until now. Knowing none of the bills he's been paying we're for anything you needed. Son, this is one mess where you're on your own. I can’t support you this time. Not when Brian did nothing but take care of you,” I tell him.


“How about what he said to me? He said I was pathetic. I know Brian is only seeing the blond asshole to make me choose between you and him. He’s doesn’t want you in our lives,” He tells me.


“Why would he want me in his life, after I supported my pathetic son? I need you to go, because I would rather date Carl than be arrested by him for killing you,” I tell him.


“Ma...?” Michael asked, most likely confused that I didn’t get upset when he told me what he says Brian said.


“Do David a favor and tell him what you did, because his career could be over just because he loved you,” I tell him, shoving him out the door before slamming it and locking the deadbolt and chain.


JUSTIN


Brian called, saying we were going back to the house. I grabbed the folder to show my grandfather. Only, when we got to the house, Lee was sitting in the living room with my grandfather. Brian said Michael could wait, when he saw that Lee was acting nervous.


“Lee, what you and Molly do is up to you two. You don't need to come to me because you want to date my granddaughter,” He tells Lee.


“I came to talk to Justin,” Lee tells us.


“Why? Like Grandfather said, it's up to you and Molly,” I tell him.


“Because big brother, Lee thinks it would bother you,” Brian tells me.


“If you hurt her, then we have a problem. Otherwise, my sister's an adult, and she wouldn’t really like you thinking I have any say in it,” I tell him.


“I guess it’s just that I’m still reeling because she returns my feelings. Up until Cole interfered, she never paid any attention to me,” He tells me.


“Most people don’t,” I joke.


“Well, my pain is your joke, so what’s been up with you?” He ask.


“Things Brian wanted to talk to Grandfather about,” I tell him.


“I can go, Molly and Jen were doing a girl thing for the wedding and I decided to run before I did something stupid, like propose five minutes into our relationship,” He tells us.


“Since we’re all going to be family, I don’t see any reason you need to go,” Brian tells us.


“So you’ve decided what you want to do?” My Grandfather asks.


BRIAN


“It’s gotten more complicated, because it looks like Michael had an ex billing me for treatment he didn’t get. Michael dated a chiropractor at one time, and Justin noticed the bills from him were higher than what the primary doctor had been charging,” I tell Cole.


“He got a doctor to screw up his life? I hope the guy got something good for the fact he is about to lose everything. The guy will lose his license, then you could own his life if you prove he did it. Any reason he would risk it?” Lee asks me.


“He wanted Michael and Michael wanted me. When they were together, Michael was thrilled at first, because he thought I was jealous of David being with him. It was really that I didn’t like the person Michael was becoming. When I encouraged him to go with David to Portland, Michael did, but only stayed for a short amount of time before coming home. We got into the accident a couple weeks later and David wasn’t happy to find out I was still Michael’s POA and that he was clinging to me even more,” I tell him.


“Being a doctor, it’s a lot to risk for someone, even someone you love,” Lee tells me.


“If he values his reputation and standing, he wouldn’t, unless he believed he’d get what he wanted from Michael,” Cole tells me.


“We think that Michael used the money from the bills to pay for his life,” Justin tells Cole.


“If you prove that Michael is complicit, he could pay not only monetary penalties, but possible jail time. All you have to do is subpoena his income, and see if the payments you made were sent to an account that belongs to Michael,” Lee tells me.


“You know this how?” I ask.


“My dad spent my life talking about his cases and the legalities. Fraudulent billing isn’t new, they just get better or worse at it,” Lee tells me.

 

“If they were smart they wouldn’t have used David’s name,” I tell him.

Chapter 22 by starlight

BRIAN


After talking to Cole, we agreed to have Ted see if he could track the funds. Everything was put on hold until we knew how involved David was with what Michael was doing. That revelation came from Deb showing up at Ted’s door to tell him what Michael had told her. She told Ted to tell me that she now understood her defense of Michael was wrong. That comment really wasn't winning me over. It also didn't help when she showed up at Kinnetik, thinking that everything was forgiven. Which normally I did when it came to Deb and Michael. But there was no way for me to forgive the way she treated Justin when she didn’t respect his place in my life. She only did one thing I saw as right in the last week, she stayed away from dinner at Mel and Lindsay’s house. It allowed Cole and Jen to get to know Vic, the man who has always supported me.


It wasn’t until this morning in the parking lot at Kinnetik, that once again, Michael’s life couldn’t leave mine alone. David was waiting for me, and why he came to see me, I didn’t care or even want to discuss. I walked by him, but he followed me into the building, as if I was going to listen to him any more than I had in the past. He didn’t count on being blocked by Cynthia when I went into my office, not responding to him telling me we needed to talk. Then he barged right in as if I owed it to him to listen to him.


“We can talk through lawyers.” I tell him.


“I'm prepared to pay back all the money. It was my assistant who convinced Michael to do what they did. I had kept in touch with Michael, hoping he finally saw you for the asshole you are, not to get any sort of revenge.” He tells me.


“Why pay it back if you're innocent?” I ask.


“Brian, Michael made a mistake, but ruining my career isn't going to do anything. You take me to court and you'll end up showing it was your fault for not checking up on Michael’s recovery. And also my assistant’s, who thought up the whole thing. My lawyer said it will be easy enough to show Michael is easily led to make unfortunate decisions. Which is something every one of your friends would agree about,” He tells me.


“If that’s all you can come up with, then good luck keeping your practice. I'm sure my lawyer will bring up that Michael is an adult and responsible for his own decisions, regardless of how unfortunate those decisions are,” I tell him.


“My lawyer is one of the best, can you say the same?” He asks, acting superior.


“My partner’s grandfather seems to think he knows better lawyers, so we'll have to see,” I tell him, shrugging.


“Who would, some kid you're seeing know?” He asks, rolling his eyes.


“Did Michael not mention my partner to you?” I ask, just to be a dick to the condescending shithead.


“Just that you're robbing the cradle in search of your youth,” He smirks.


“That would be you, since you and Michael are actually more years apart than my partner and I. Ever heard of MacTaylor cars?” I ask.


“Of course I have, but what does that have to do with anything?” He asks.


“Do you know anything about the owners?” I ask, as Cynthia stands in my doorway.


“They are two trust fund heirs, who blew off convenient and started a business. One being Justin Cole Taylor and the other one being Leeland MacAllister. Neither needed to do anything, even though Justin’s grandfather, Cole Andrews would have loved for Justin to be involved in politics. Then there’s Leeland MacAllister’s father, who thought Leeland should become a lawyer like the rest of the family,” Cynthia fills in.


“I know who they are,” David tells me.


“Justin happens to be my partner. Cole Andrews is the one suggesting a lawyer to help me deal with ‘Michael of the unfortunate decisions’,” I tell him, enjoying the realization dawning on David.


“I offered to pay you back, why take this to court?” He asks, suddenly less sure than he was.


“My question is why are you worried, if you're innocent? All you have to do is prove you weren’t involved,” I tell him.


“My son believed Michael’s lies. Mostly because I painted you as the reason Michael left us. Hank loves Michael, and I didn’t want him to know the reason I told Michael to leave was because Michael got tired of the attention Hank was getting,” He tells me.


“I think I'm getting where this is headed, but go on,” I tell him.


“After Michael left and my ex wife decided she didn’t have time for Hank, my son started getting into trouble. He ended up wrecking a friend's car, and instead of letting him think he wasn’t responsible, I made him work to pay the money back. Which he agreed to do, and we set up an account the money was going into under both our names. When he finished paying the money back I planned to take us on vacation to celebrate him doing the right thing. Only, my assistant, who was also my bookkeeper, used that account to deposit the money from the bills and then withdraw it for themselves, giving my son a share for going to the bank and wiring the money to Michael after it came in. Everything they did involved my son, who thought it was your fault that Michael left him,” He tells me.


“Which he wouldn’t have thought if you had been honest and put the blame where it belonged, on your belief in Michael. So you're trying to pay your son’s way out of trouble, but you didn’t when he wrecked a car? Sorry, not buying the ‘saving my son story’, how about the truth? If not, then like I said, our lawyers can sort this out. Although the sob story about your son innocently being duped by Michael was touching,” I tell him, not believing one word.


“My assistant is my son. It was the job I gave him to pay back the money. He’s only sixteen and I don’t want his future ruined because I still wanted Michael in our lives,” He tells me through gritted teeth.


“The truth will set you free, or at least show your son his father isn’t any better at accepting responsibility for his unfortunate decisions. This conversation is over, and I would like you to leave before I call security to show you out,” I tell him.


DEB


All week I tried to figure out a way to get Brian to talk to me. When I told Carl about the whole mess, he told me I should be glad the worst that happened was everyone treating me like leper. He left, telling me he would be busy for the next couple of days. I hadn’t heard from him, but decided not to push because I knew it he wouldn’t be any more receptive than Brian right now. I was busy musing about all the mistakes I’d made when David walked in and asked me if we could talk.


“I need to know where Michael is. He hasn’t answered my calls,” He tells me.


“I haven’t talked to him since he told me what he did. He isn’t answering me either. I would think he was at his place. Did he tell you what he did?” I ask him.


“He never called me back after I talked to you. He did call Hank, which is how I found out everything,” He tells me.


“Why would you ask Hank?” I ask, confused.


“Michael didn’t tell you? Hank is my assistant, who will end up in as much trouble as Michael and lose any chance to go to college if Brian takes this to court. I tried to get Brian to see that it would be better for everyone if the money was just replaced, but he doesn’t seem to care that my son’s life is going to be affected,” He tells me.


“Brian isn’t going to listen to me, if that’s what you came to me for,” I tell him.


“I’m trying to figure out how to keep Michael and Hank out of trouble,” He tells me.


“If you want to do the right thing then let them deal with what they caused. I’ve spent Michael’s whole life making the same mistake you're trying to make,” I tell him, getting up and going back to work.   


BRIAN


I didn’t want Michael to once again have someone giving him a get out of jail free card, but this would also screw up this kid’s life. I didn’t know Hank, but I knew Michael had a way of making you think he cared about you while he screwed you over.


I kept playing back the conversation with David, and saw where he kept putting the blame on the assistant, then finally admitting the assistant was his son. It didn’t make sense if he was trying to help his son, to start off by putting the majority of the blame on him, unless he was hoping it would get me to not take this further.


I got home to see Justin’s family in the living room. I kissed him, telling everyone I had work to do. Cole told everyone he needed to talk to me and followed me to my office.


“You look like you need to talk.” Cole tells me.


“David Cameron showed up at my office. He tried to pay the money back to avoid going to court,” I tell him.


“Why would he want to do that? If it was a plan his assistant and Michael came up with without his knowledge, we can keep it from hurting his practice. I don’t believe in ruining someone who didn’t do anything to deserve it,” Cole tells me.


“He tried to make it sound like he is trying to protect his son, and his practice,” I tell him.


“What did his son have to do with it?” He asks.


“His son is the assistant, and only sixteen years old. I’m just trying to figure out why David lied, then finally told me the truth,” I tell him.


“Explain to me why it bothers you, other than it being a child who was involved,” He tells me.


“David started out practically putting all the blame on his assistant. At first I thought it was to protect Michael. After he grudgingly told me the assistant was his son, it made the offer of money sound like saving his kid. It felt like he was hoping it would get me to accept the money, because otherwise I was going to hurt Hank’s chances later in life,” I tell him.


“You’re worried about Hank?” He asks me.


“He’s a kid who trusted in his father for the truth, and saw Michael as someone who loved him. I can see why he might have helped Michael when his father told him I was the reason Michael left, and not that Michael left because he hated that Hank took David’s attention from Michael.” I tell him.


“Being a teenager doesn’t excuse him anymore than it does Michael. At sixteen a child knows right from wrong. When he helped Michael, he knew what they were doing could not only get him and Michael in trouble, but also his father. Why was he working for his father?” He asks.


“To pay back his father for wrecking a friend’s car, is what David told me. I still don’t think I’ve gotten the entire truth. Why give me a story where his assistant was the mastermind, then tell me the assistant was the son? I’m sure we would have found that out anyway as the case progressed,” I tell him.


“He was hoping you’d take the money. If you think about it, he put the blame on his son, not Michael. He knows you're a father and was likely hoping that that would get you to back down. If his assistant had been an adult, he didn’t have a way of playing on your sympathy as a father. I could be wrong, but if I wanted to protect my son, Michael would have been cast as the mastermind, NOT my child. In using his son, it changes the target to a confused kid. He probably thought it would get you to walk away to spare him from any negative effect this could have, not only to his practice, but in people finding out it was his son. I question where his son learned to do it. Could it be something David had been doing all along and the son used it to help Michael?” He asks.


“He said the son funneled the money through a joint account with David,” I tell him.


“Putting David in the middle because the account was in his name. Brian tell me, do you have an account set up for Gus?” He asks.


“Mel, Lindsay, and I do, we started it so we could contribute to Gus future. Why?” I ask.


“Do you put money into it and never check on the account?” He asks.


“Ted monitors the account, but we each get a statement every month,” I tell him.


“Which, if David is an account holder, he would get and most likely look at. Shouldn’t he have noticed deposits and withdrawals that shouldn’t have been there if the account was being used to keep the money his son was paying back to him? David would have also known when his son would deposit the money, since he was paying him. If he didn’t see it as irregular, the deposits and withdrawals, maybe because it wasn’t only used by them for that reason,” He tells me.


“Like he was pulling the same thing on other people, and wouldn’t want that account looked at because of what else could be found,” I tell him.

 

“It makes him wanting you to take the money make more sense than being blinded by love for Michael. He could be trying to save himself, above all else,” He tells me.

Chapter 23 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I wanted to let everyone know RL has been getting in the way but I plan to catch up and get all the stories updated and finished.

I started working on the series Marrying Justin and a new one, which I'm going to start posting, to give you something for being patient with me. 

EMMETT


Justin called to ask if there was a place he could store his stepfather’s present until the wedding. Drew offered our garage, wanting to see the bike. I kept my comments on boys and their toys to myself when Drew stared at the bike like it was the holy grail.


“I'm willing to forgo the car for one of these,” He jokes to Justin.


“I almost decided to keep it when we were testing it on the track. I’m thinking of making one for Brian, since we had to pry him off of it when he took it around,” Justin tells us.


The doorbell rang while Justin let Drew start up the bike, so I left them to fawn over it and went to see who was at the door. Seeing David didn’t shock me, since he and I had gotten along when he and Michael were together. It’s just, with what had been going on, I really thought he’d be too busy making sure Michael knew the story they were going to tell everyone. Apparently no one was sure if there was any truth to anything they had been told. I went to let Drew and Justin know I’d be busy, before coming back to see David making himself at home.


“Sorry, Drew’s excited about seeing the bike that we’re storing for a wedding I’m doing. What can I do for you?” I ask.


“I was hoping that you would know where to find Michael. I talked to Deb, but she doesn’t seem to know where he could be,” He tells me.


“Likely, avoiding having to answer any questions, which he does when he thinks he can get away with things,” I tell him.


“He can’t avoid this mess. I tried talking to Brian, but he won’t budge on this. I don’t understand why he’s willing to hurt my son and Michael,” He tells me.


“But it’s okay that they were doing this to Brian? Why shouldn’t Brian make sure they both understand that there are consequences to what you do?” I ask.


“I offered to pay back the money,” He tells me.


“It’s not about the money. For once, it’s about showing Michael he can’t abuse Brian’s trust and not be held accountable for what he does,” I tell him.


“I’m trying to protect my son too. Brian doesn’t seem to care that my son is going to be hurt in this too,” He tells me.


“If anything, this will teach your son that doing something illegal means dealing with the fallout. You told Brian you wanted to teach your son responsibility, didn’t you?” Justin says from the doorway.


“I’m sorry, but this is a private conversation,” David tells Justin.


“I’m sure you want it to be, but it involves my fiance, who you seem to think believed everything you told him. My grandfather pointed out that if you were trying to protect your son, then putting most of the blame on him didn’t make sense, when you would have been better off to putting the blame on Michael. Was it an attempt to play on Brian’s sympathy as a father, or were you worried about something else? If it’s nothing more than protecting your son, then even I could understand and sympathize with you. Emmett’s right about one thing, it’s not about the money. Brian was willing to leave the whole situation alone, if it hadn’t been for Michael trying to take my place in Brian’s life. Other than your son’s involvement, why are you still trying to save Michael?” Justin asks him.


“What Michael did is nothing compared to what Brian did to keep Michael from walking away from him. Brian made it so Michael threw away a life with me, because he made Michael think one day they would be together. Don’t paint Brian as if he’s innocent in this, because he did everything he could to break Michael and me up,” David tells Justin.


“Interesting way you have of trying to avoid answering the question. I could guess why. Do you want me to?” Justin asks.


“Sure. I’d love to hear what Brian told you to think,” David says condescendingly.


“Here’s what I THINK. You're more worried about what you have to hide. Everything you do and say seems to point to your son, but how did your son come up with it, that’s really the question we are all asking.” Justin tells him.


“Emmett, you should tell Justin exactly what kind of man he’s involved with,” David tells me.


“I know exactly who Brian is. The question is, do you?” Justin tells him.


BRIAN


Vic called me and asked Ted and me to meet him at a storage unit, saying it would answer some questions we had about where the money went.


“I want you to know, I had no idea this was why Michael asked me if he could store things here. I came to clean it out, since I didn’t need it anymore,” Vic tells us as he unlocks it.


He led us to the back of the unit where there were boxes full of comics and some of the one of a kind things Michael always gushed about wanting to own. I looked at the things Michael valued more than our friendship, and wanted to burn it all.


“Brian?” Ted asks, as I crumpled the first edition of the Captain Astro comic book I had given Michael.


“What were you planning on doing with all this stuff?” I ask Vic.


“I asked, and because it’s stored in my unit, it belongs to me or the person who takes over the lease to it. My lease ends today,” He tells me.


“I handle getting it in your name,” Ted tells me, leaving to get it done.


“Why tell me?” I ask Vic.


He took the present I had bought Michael out of my hand. “Because none of it was bought by Michael, but by stealing from you. He doesn’t get to have the things he wants when he was hurting you to get them,” He tells me, hugging me.


MICHAEL


David was standing at my apartment door when I got home from the comic convention I had gone to. I figured Brian would get over everything in a couple days, and then I could talk to him. Although, David being here would remind Brian that he could lose me if he stayed with Justin, so maybe I should have stayed and let Brian get jealous over David again. David didn’t say anything when I opened my apartment door.


“I’ve been here trying to get Brian to back off, and you were out buying comics?” He asks, angry.


“I was giving Brian a chance to calm down, once he does he’s not going to do anything. You should have just stayed in Portland and let me deal with Brian,” I tell him.


“I don’t think Brian is going to calm down. In fact, I doubt anything you say is going matter,” He tells me.


“Why, because he found blond boy ass? He’ll get tired of him,” I tell him.


“Blond boy ass, as you call him, comes with a family that protects their own. Since Brian is apparently marrying into the family, I doubt he will give you what you wish for. Although, I’m sure you can continue to live your fantasy through the pictures of the life Brian is about to have in a modern version of Camelot, while you and I hope to keep from going to jail,” He tells me, slamming out of my apartment.



BRIAN


Cynthia let me know when we got back to my office that I had another couple of unexpected visitors. Hank was sitting in my office with his mother and asked to talk to me alone. He was fidgeting in the chair when I walked in and for a second all I saw was a scared kid, until he reined it in and showed he learned arrogance and entitlement from his father. His mother, on the other hand, looked ready to strangle both David and Michael.


“You do realize that all anyone is going to see is that you were conned by a kid, don’t you? It would probably make people question whether or not you were someone they should be doing business with,” He tells me.

 

“Hank, you're in enough trouble. I brought you here to try to help you,” His mother tells him.


“It’s fine, I understand ‘angry at the world’,” I tell her.


“He’s angry at everyone, lately,” She tells me.


“In my business, my clients only care that they get the revenue I promise them. You on the other hand should realize that any future you have is going to be flushed down the toilet, because criminal records aren’t really what Ivy League colleges want on the kids who attend their hallowed halls. Do you want to know the only thing about all of this that bothers me? It’s that a kid will end up being hurt because he wanted attention,” I tell him.


“Michael said you don’t give a shit about anyone, so, sorry if I don’t believe you care anything about me,” He sneers.


“I’m sorry,” His mother tells me.


“He's asking the right questions. Why would I care about him, a kid I don’t know. Maybe because if you care about someone, you don’t let them do something that could hurt their lives. When Michael let you help him, he didn’t care that you could end up in trouble, only that he got what he wanted. Caring means wanting to protect the person you care about, not involving them in something that could change their life for the worse,” I tell him.


“It’s going to hurt my dad too,” He tells me.


“You're going to help Brian help you, tell him the truth,” His mother tells him.


“All the doctors that work with my dad are involved in the same kind of billing. He knew what Michael was doing and thought you would go easier if he said it was my idea,” He tells me.


“I want my son protected from the fallout. This proves David knew about it and set up the account,” His mother tells me, handing me a folder.


“You like comics?” I ask.


“Yeah, it’s one of the things Michael and I had in common,” He tells me.

 

Chapter 24 by starlight

BRIAN


Instead of going ahead with my lawsuit, we went a different route. We called the DA in Oregon to find out whether he was interested in the case, since it was now about more than showing Michael he couldn’t get away with what he did. The DA told us to just send what we had and he would look into it, sounding disinterested. After he received it he called back quickly, wanting to meet with us because he needed all he could get to take on one of the biggest medical practices in Oregon.


David could throw all the money he wanted at me, but helping Michael wasn’t going to help him. After discussing the case with the DA, Thomas, it was actually in my interest to bow out of the individual lawsuit, since Michael would be prosecuted with David and the other doctors. I called Ted to join me when Thomas arrived. Ted brought all the information he was able to gather.


“We can add restitution for you to the case, but with what is likely to happen, you'll be just one of the many on the list. With a practice this size, we’ll be combing through the records back to the start of the practice, and with the file you provided, we know where to look.” Thomas tells me.


“David Cameron tried to involve his son. Everything his ex-wife provided was in hopes of keeping Hank from ending up in the middle of this,” Ted tells him.


“It's lucky the kid is still a minor, otherwise he'd be considered guilty because his name was on the account. As long as he doesn’t warn his father that his mother gave you the information, we should be able to keep him out of this. We just need to figure out a way to get them to meet with you without either of them worrying about why you’re changing your mind,” He tells me.


“It would be easier to get both of them to agree to come to the loft. Michael wouldn’t think it was unusual,” I tell them.


“He wouldn’t find it strange even with you suing him?” Thomas asks, incredulous.


“If Michael can get to Brian, it doesn’t matter what’s going on,” Ted tell him, shaking his head.


JUSTIN


I left Mom and Grandfather to go over the seating chart, and decided to see if Brian wanted to come to lunch with me. I walked in as Ted and the DA were walking out. Cynthia waved me in, as Brian sat looking at his phone.


“Everything go okay?” I ask.


“Thomas said there was enough evidence to arrest David and Michael. We agreed to get them to come to my loft, by making them think that I’m willing to talk about David paying back the money.” He tells me, pulling me onto his lap.


“I’m sorry.” I tell him, kissing him.


“What are you sorry for?” He asks.


“That you have to do this to someone you once considered your best friend.” I tell him.


“We haven’t been that since the accident. I don’t think we’d still be best friends even if none of this came up.” He tells me.


“Why not?” I ask.


“The person I knew hasn’t existed since he came back once he’d moved away. He wanted everything to be the same. The night of the accident, we’d been arguing the whole night because he expected me to stick by his side all night. I ended up drinking more than usual just to keep from saying that while he was gone I didn’t miss having him up my ass. After the accident, I felt like a shit for the way I felt about Michael. It got worse as he started to recover, he started acting like I didn’t have a right to a life of my own. The vacation I took was in hopes that with me away, Michael would see he didn’t need me there day and night. Then I met you and for a week I felt free again. When we left I couldn’t let you go, but didn’t want you to see who I was in Pittsburgh. You didn’t have any preconceived notions of who I was, to you I was just, Brian. It's why I never talked about Pittsburgh. Because for once I wasn’t all the labels that everyone assumed, in your eyes. When I would come back to Pittsburgh, you gave me the strength to deal with Michael. You became everything to me, my best friend, the love of my life, and soon, my husband. He's my past, you're my future.” He tells me.


“I love you, and know if you need me I'm always there for you.” I tell him.


“I need you, but tonight I need to deal with the past so the future can be what we want. It's time to get rid of all the secrets that could hurt our future.” He tells me.


BRIAN


Justin understood, coming with me tonight wouldn't get Thomas what he wanted. We needed Michael to think everything was normal. Thomas turned a little green when we figured out how to allow him to be there, but he needed more to be able to go after the whole practice. To him, David and Michael were the small fish.


Michael came in, smirking when he saw Thomas half dressed and me with my fly undone, pointing Thomas to wait in the bedroom.


“Be ready after I finish with this,” I tell Thomas.


Michael looked relieved when Thomas nodded and went into the bedroom. I'm sure he thought I was once again back to my old ways and proved it with the next words that came out of his mouth.


“I hope you sent Justin packing now that you remember who you are,” He tells me.


“Where’s David?” I ask.


“I asked him to give us a few minutes, we need to talk,” He tells me, getting comfortable on my couch.


“Right now I’m not sure what we have to talk about after the bullshit you and David pulled. Why did you two involve Hank in this?” I ask.


“Brian, I know I should have just asked you to help me out, it’s not like I couldn’t expect that from you. It’s just David made the comment that one of the reasons you didn’t want more from me was because you didn’t see me as an equal, and asking you to support me wasn’t going to change how you view me. I called him to ask him for the money, but then he suggested the way we did it,” He tells me.


“So, I supported you anyway, but in a way you thought would get me to respect you?” I ask, trying to control the anger.


“He’s going to pay you back, so why is it a big deal now?” He asks.


“Paying it back doesn’t change that you betrayed my trust in you,” I tell him, turning when David cleared his throat.


“Can we just get this over with?” David asks, putting a briefcase down.


“How nice of you to bring the money,” I sneered.


“I didn’t bring it. For that you have to sign an agreement with me that once your funds are returned you’ll never bring this up again.” He tells me.


“It’s decent of you to want to protect Hank, but I get the feeling that’s not what has you wanting me to sign anything. Who else are you worried about?” I ask.


“No one, I just don’t need anyone to hear about what happened. They would question not just me but the entire practice. I don’t need the practice being tarred with the same brush when it was a mistake that my son and Michael made,” He tells me.


“This whole time the one thing that’s bothered me is that a sixteen year old kid figured out how to do this, but Michael just told me it was you and Michael. Which leads to the question of where you got the idea from. If you want me not to sue, how about the truth for once,” I tell him. It was true, I wasn’t going to sue. What Thomas wanted was better.


“Fuck Michael. Learn to keep your mouth shut,” David tells him.


“You have two minutes to get to the truth, or you can leave and I’ll make sure the lawyer Cole hired digs into everything,” I tell him.


“Look, when I started the new practice I wasn’t making what I was here. People don’t just change doctors. They wait until you get a reputation. When I wasn’t keeping up my end of the practice, the other partners pulled me in and told me what to do. It wasn’t hurting anyone but the insurance companies, because we didn’t bill the patients, just the insurance,” He tells me.


“You really believe the patients weren’t hurt?” I ask.


“Please. You didn’t even question the bills,” He laughs.


“True, I didn’t, but then I thought Michael was trustworthy." I tell him.


“I didn’t do it to hurt you, but because I needed the money. David wouldn’t help unless I went back to him. I didn’t want to leave you, I did it to stay with you,” Michael tells me.


“Michael, he’s not going to want you. He has Justin now,” David tells him.


“I’m sure that will be over when I tell Justin what Brian is up to tonight. I knew Brian wouldn’t get married to the little shit. I mean, why would he want the blond when he has all of Pittsburgh and me,” Michael tells him.


“What are you talking about?” David asks, looking angry.


“I think he’s talking about me.” Thomas comes out of the room, fully dressed and nodding for me to open the door. “I wanted to see if you and Michael could help me out, and you did. Thanks for letting us know that I get to not only arrest you, but your partners, for insurance fraud,” He tells a shocked David.


“This isn’t funny Brian. Tell the trick to go,” Michael tells me, looking worried when the police came into the loft.


“This ‘trick’ is the DA of Oregon.” Thomas tells Michael, showing him his ID.


“Brian, I thought you agreed?” David asks, trying to figure out what was going on.


“I’m sure you did, but you know, I just couldn’t when you let your kid take the blame. Your ex-wife couldn’t either,” I tell him, smiling when the cops handcuffed him and Michael.


“But I thought…” Michael started stammering when they hauled him up.


“Don’t think, you tend to do unfortunate things when you do,” I tell him, smiling at David.


“Oh, before you go Michael, for his help, I gave Hank the comic collection from Vic’s storage unit. I thought he should get something for finding out you and his father weren’t worth the devotion he gave either of you,” I tell Michael.


“I don’t know what Brian was telling you, but it was Michael who did this. Michael told me he needed me to invest his money for him. The only reason I came here was to tell Brian what Michael was doing,” David tells Thomas, as he was being taken out.


“Is he serious?” Thomas asks.


“I think he’s figured out that saving himself is better than saving Michael,” I tell him.




Chapter 25 by starlight

BRIAN


Jen was the epitome of a blushing bride, and Cole was proud to hand her off to the man who made his daughter happy. Molly was standing next to Jen, and Justin stood next to his soon to be stepfather. Cole came and sat with me while the ceremony was performed. Lee kept gawking like a teen at Molly, who looked like a runway model next to her mother. I had to close his mouth when she walked in ahead of her mother. I had to hand Lindsay and Mel tissues when they both leaked, and then had to kiss Justin, because he looked good standing in Versace, which at least got everyone laughing instead of crying.


When everyone walked out to take pictures, Cole grabbed my arm and told me Jen wanted all the family in the pictures. I rolled my eyes, telling him that I was just getting Gus, because Jen requested it.


Lindsay started bawling again when Jen asked her and Mel to be in the pictures with the women in the family. Justin laughed when I asked why people leaked at a wedding. The reception was changed to Justin and my house because the venue they were going to use had double booked. Emmett showed up at my house, freaking out about how the wedding was ruined. I offered our house to keep everyone sane. Only I didn’t count on my sanity being tested when Emmett was almost living at my house in the days leading up to the wedding.


Justin and I left early to get Tucker’s motorcycle to our house, which was just an excuse for me to ride it. He knew I wanted it. When I pulled up, it was to see another one sitting in the driveway.


“We had this one being built at the same time, so I customized it for you,” He tells me.


“Want to take a ride? Emmett can let everyone in,” I tell him.


He hopped on and we took off, as cars started coming to the house. Emmett smiled as we drove by him, waving us off. When we returned, the party was in full swing in the back, but Deb was standing in the front looking lost. Justin kissed me and went in, telling me his mom would be okay if Deb showed up. With everything that went on with Michael, I honestly didn’t know what Deb’s reaction to it all was, and if I’m honest, I didn’t really want to find out that there was nothing left of the woman I once thought of as a mother.


“Is there some reason you're here today?” I ask.


“I wanted to talk to you, but lately you don’t come around,” She tells me.


“Today is about Justin’s family, not you or Michael,” I tell her.


“There was a time when anything would have included me,” She tells me.


“There was also a time that I thought I was more than Michael’s caretaker to you,” I tell her, not wanting to get into this, but knowing she wouldn’t leave it alone.


“I thought of you as more than that. I know the last four years might have made you think differently, but you have to understand that Michael was hurt. I know we made it impossible for you to have the life you wanted, but he needed you,” She tells me.


“When are you going to see he didn’t need me as much as he pretended he did. If you're here to defend your son, leave,” I tell her. She stood there as if waiting for me to tell her what she needed to do for me to forgive her. “For once, see that he wasn’t innocent in what he did. He understood exactly what he was doing and used me and stole my money to get me back for not wanting to be at his beck and call. He might not have known about Justin, but he knew something was pulling me away from him. Instead of dealing with your son, you called me back to do it for you. Not giving a shit about anything but what Michael wanted. I lost Justin for six months because I didn’t want him to know the life I was living here. Which was my mistake, because he wouldn’t have cared, he loved me enough that nothing would have changed it. If you're here to plead for your son, then go home and don’t darken my door,” I tell her.


“I came to tell you I’m sorry for my part in making you feel guilty about the accident. It was hard for me to see past Michael, and realize that I was blaming you. I didn’t mean for you to feel like I didn’t care about you,” She tells me.


“You and Michael never mean anything, until it bites you in the ass. Why are you really here?” I ask.


“To tell you I’m sorry and that I support what you had to do to Michael.,” She tells me.


“Is that all?” I ask, ready to end this conversation.


“I want us to figure out a way to still be in each other’s lives,” She tells me.


“I don’t know if we can, I just don’t see you as the mother you once were to me. You’ll want me to forgive Michael, and to find a way to repair the friendship he abused. I can’t be that Brian anymore,” I tell her.


“I understand,” She tells me, tearing up. Dammit.


“Deb, it’s not going to be solved overnight, but if you give me time, we can try. You need to understand that there will never be a time when I want Michael around, ever,” I tell her.


“Go in and be happy. When you're ready to give me a chance, I’ll be waiting,” She tells me.


“Then show me you can be happy for me. Come inside and welcome Justin,” I tell her.


She followed me in and walked to Justin. I could tell she didn’t know what to do with him. He wasn’t opening his arms to her but didn’t ignore her. Vic and Rodney showed up and I watched as Vic bridged the gap Deb couldn’t with Justin. Emmett saw what was going on and took Deb to get something to drink. When I walked up to Justin he took my hand and we walked over to the rest of the gang.


JUSTIN


After seeing my mom and Tucker off, Brian promised to get the bike to their house in one piece. Emmett was overseeing the cleanup and Deb stuck around to help him. It wasn’t easy for me to let bygones be bygones, but I did it for Brian. As much as she disappointed him, he still loved her. I did tell her that I wouldn’t stand by if she tried to get Brian to help Michael. She assured me that she wouldn’t expect that from him. Vic told me that he’d make sure Deb didn’t cross the line. I left it at that and went to Brian.


After everyone left, it was time for my grandfather to go back to work. He told Brian to call him if he needed to talk, that he was available no matter what was going on. It was my grandfather’s way of showing Brian he was just as much a grandson as I was to him. Brian nodded, not being able to say anything, and ran up the stairs. When the door closed and everyone was gone, Brian was in the kitchen, not upstairs where I looked.


“You think you and Deb are going to be okay?” I ask.


“I don’t know. If she can keep from trying to push Michael into my life, then possibly,” He tells me, shrugging.


“If she does, she’s not welcome in our house,” I tell him.


“Which I made sure she understood, and yes I agree with you,” He tells me.


“Is there some reason you’re in here?” I ask.


“Just waiting for you,” He tells me, pulling off his shirt.


“Brian, seriously, in the kitchen?” I joke.


“There are just so many surfaces to work with,” He tells me, pulling me onto the table.


He unzipped me and sat in front of me, pulling my pants off. Then pushed my hands out of the way to help me with my shirt. I laid back and spread my legs while he finished undressing. Brian threw lube and condoms on the table.


Brian leaned in licked from the head of my cock down to the crease of my ass. He spread me open and used his tongue to open me up. I closed my eyes, moaning at what he was doing. Then I felt his fingers running around my rim as he took me in his mouth. His finger breached me as his tongue swirled around the head of my cock. I wanted more and he add another finger, finding my prostate and sucking any thoughts out of my head with his mouth. I almost came, but he was paying attention and pulled his fingers out, and stood up. He held my hips as he pushed into me. Then stilled until I opened my eyes to see why he wasn’t moving.


“The best part of being inside you is watching your eyes,” He tells me, pulling back and slamming into me.


I wrapped my legs around him and used them to meet his thrusts. We were both close when he pushed my legs back and slammed into me, moving the table. I grabbed my cock because I needed to cum. He didn’t slow down but picked up speed when I splattered all over both of us. I milked him with my walls, watching his eyes glaze over as he thrust three more times and came, collapsing over me.


“Everything else is bullshit but this,” He tells me, kissing me.


TED


It really said something to me about Brian and Justin’s relationship when instead of just saying yes to Brian’s campaign, he and Lee waited to see what we were offering. They didn’t let the fact that they were combining their lives interfere with their businesses. Brian came in a couple days after the wedding and told me he had the slogan for the campaign. We’d been struggling with the slogan because until Lee and Justin decided they didn’t want to limit who could own one of their cars, they never needed advertising, the cars sold themselves.


Justin, Lee, and Molly were waiting for us in the conference room. Brian had the boards brought in as we entered and didn’t say anything but let them speak for themselves. One of the things Lee let us know was that they weren’t planning on letting go of the car designed for the driver. Each car would be outfitted with what the person wanted, only the body and the engine were going to be the same and the cost more affordable for common buyer.


Brian told me that in essence, they were staying with their original business model, but also opening up to include a larger target audience. Justin had allowed Brian to see the models he designed on his computer, Brian only asked to use one for the campaign. When Justin and Lee looked at the boards they didn’t waste any time approving the slogan.


“MacTaylor, custom built for the driver who doesn’t want to become one of the many.”


I was impressed with how Brian came up with having a parking lot full of cars that looked identical so that you couldn’t really tell which car was by what maker, but in the middle was a car that was a cross between Justin and Brian’s cars.


“Sorry Ted, you lose,” Justin tells me, smiling.


“Not a problem. Blake’s clinic is overrun with people wanting to sponsor the rehab,” I tell him.


“Just tell him it’s okay to tell anyone no if they cross the line,” Justin tells me.


“Cole already made it clear that Blake was in charge, and that no means no,” I tell him.


“We need to get going, but fax my accountant the contracts. I’m going to be late tonight, apparently Lee thinks we need to make sure the shop didn’t burn down,” Justin tells Brian, kissing him.


“Call me when you’re on your way back,” Brian tells him.


BRIAN


Ted was puttering around after Justin left, it was obvious he had something he wanted to tell me. I waited, because I could tell he wasn’t happy with what he was going to tell me.


“I know you don’t want to hear about Michael, but this is just information I thought you should know. Michael is likely only going to get three to five years, because he agreed to plead out and testify against David. Thomas wants to go for the maximum on David and his partners, since the practice makes what Michael and David did to you, nothing in comparison. Thomas wanted you to know that Michael’s sentence might seem light, but he was a first time offender,” He tells me.


“As long as he didn’t get to walk, then I’m fine,” I tell him.


“Thomas also seized David and Michael’s accounts. He said you should be seeing a check for most of the money. What do you want me to do with it?” He asks.


“Give it to Blake. At least the people he helps really need it. Just leave my name off it,” I tell him.


“If that’s what you want, I won’t tell him. It’s our secret,” He tells me.


When Ted walked out, leaving me sitting there, I kept thinking about secrets. There were so many in my life at one time, and now it seemed like everything was out in the open. There were no more secrets between me and Justin. I pulled out my phone and sent Justin a text.


“You were the best secret I kept. I love you.”










This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1045