Ladies of Liberty by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

The ladies of Liberty experience some new events in their lives.

 

Story #36 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 28004 Read: 20785 Published: Jul 09, 2017 Updated: Jul 09, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 1



“Brian, thank you for meeting me here.” Drew stood as Brian walked into the broadcast booth at the Ironmen stadium. Drew had called Brian earlier in the day to arrange the appointment.

“Always willing to lend a helping hand when I can,” Brian replied as he shook the former quarterback’s hand. Brian took delight in flirtatious behavior as his eyes swept the room. Drew was clearly the handsomest and fittest man in the room. He was also the only other gay man in the room. “What’s this all about? And why the subterfuge?”

Drew led them out of the booth and into a private office to explain.

“It dawned on me during all of the celebrations that have gone on lately that me and Emm should be celebrating too.”

“And what should you two be celebrating?” Brian had some idea but he wanted to hear it from Drew. Drew fidgeted back and forth on his feet as he felt his face heat up. Brian’s smirk grew wider. “Ah, yes, the course of true love.”

Brian slapped the man on the back. “So, me lad,” Brian began in his best brogue. “You’d be wantin’ to show the love of yer life a good time now. Wouldja be wantin’ me to be lendin’ you a hand?”

“Yes, Brian, I would,” Drew stated seriously, his smile waning. Brian was puzzled.

“Drew, what’s wrong?” Brian realized this was no joking matter to his muscular friend.

“I love Emmett with all my heart. He was my first true love and he took me back when I grew up enough to make a commitment. He’s always doing for others and never asks for anything in return. We’ve been together for seven years. Seven! Which was my number when I was playing. And he was wearing a seven on his jacket when I first met him. The night I made the mistake of announcing my engagement to Sierra and he had the balls to chew me a new one. Brian, I want to do something special for him. He deserves it.”

Drew’s plea tugged on Brian’s heartstrings, the strings that Brian pretended not to have, but which everyone knew about.

“Drew, I will do anything within my power to help in anyway, but give me a clue. What do you want to do?”

“That’s just it, I have no idea. What do you do for a man who has arranged power luncheons for the rich and famous? Or weddings for the stars? He’s a better chef than anyone that’s come through the Culinary Institute of America, and the most creative.”

“His impeccable timing and creations have certainly pulled my ass out of the fire more times than I’d like to admit,” Brian mumbled, but also realized Drew heard every word. Brian closed his eyes then pinched the bridge of his nose for a moment. “What kind of surprise can one plan for the ultimate planner?”

“Exactly.”

“Time frame?” Brian wondered if they had to work around the Ironmen schedule.

“Not an issue.”

“Vacation or gift?” Brian threw out some options.

“I’m leaning toward vacation. He...” Brian held up his hand to forestall the unnecessary explanation. Emmett had never forgotten his modest roots. That combined with a strong work ethic made Emmett Honeycutt a fairly wealthy man. He really didn't need or want anything that he couldn't afford to buy for himself.

“Cruise.”

“Excuse me?”

“A cruise. Take Emm on a cruise. He would never arrange it for himself and he deserves the best that money can buy. I’ll give you the name of my travel agent. She’s very perceptive. She’ll tailor your vacation to your special needs.”

“Special needs?”

“Ixnay on a breeder cruise,” Brian snarked.

Drew quickly got with the program.

Brian rummaged through his wallet to retrieve his travel agent’s business card. As they exited the office, the men hugged. Brian was happy for his friend, Emmett, whom he held in high regard. And for Drew, the man who kept Emmett Honeycutt happy.

“Can I call you if I have any more questions?” Drew asked.

“Anytime,” Brian said in a sultry tone. Drew chuckled, knowing how Brian loved to tease and flirt with the football idol. Drew went back toward the broadcast booth as Brian turned to leave the stadium.

“Isn’t that Brian Kinney?” one of the stadium security guards asked his partner.

“Yeah, he went up to see Boyd.”

“Did you read about him in the Dispatch?”

“Yeah, but that’s old news.”

“Then why is he sniffing around Boyd?”

“I don’t know, maybe he wants Boyd for another ad.”

“Maybe. Boyd still looks good in his tighty whities!” The guards laughed then got back to work.



*****



“Are you ready, Babe?” Carl asked as he settled in behind the wheel of the Winnebago. They had stopped just outside of Memphis on their way to see Graceland. This was the first leg of their month long trip.

“Fuck!” Debbie reacted.

“What?”

“Maybe we should turn around and go home.”

“What the fuck for? We agreed that we were going to take this vacation. See the U.S.A. in our Winnebago.”

“Shouldn’t that be in our fucking Chevrolet?” Debbie griped.

“This is much more comfortable,” Carl said happily.

“Oh shit! Let’s get going,” Debbie said with a sigh.

Carl started the engine. He was about to step on the gas when an unsettling thought hit him. “Are you afraid to be stuck inside this thing with me for a month?” he asked with a worried look on his face.

“What?” Debbie demanded.

“You heard me. Is that why you don’t want to continue this trip?”

“It’s not that. I want to go on our trip,” Debbie said gently.

“Then what the fuck is the problem?” Carl pulled the Winnebago over to the side of the gas station lot and turned the engine off. The huge gas guzzler didn’t need to be running if they weren’t going anywhere, and he didn’t intend to move on, or back, until they got this straightened out.

“I’m … missing everybody,” Debbie admitted finally when she saw that Carl meant business.

Carl had to smile at his wife. “So am I,” he replied. “But they’ll all be there when we get back home.”

“Yeah, I suppose,” Debbie sighed.

“No supposition about it. They’ll be happy to see us back, but happier because we took the trip in the first place.”

“I guess,” Debbie agreed. “JR was so cute when she said goodbye to us after Jennifer and Seth’s wedding.”

“Yeah, that was quite the wedding.”

“Trust Sunshine and Brian to throw a shindig like that,” Debbie laughed, as she recalled the events of that day.

Carl laughed too, happy to see that Debbie seemed to be in a better frame of mind. “That little baby was as cute as could be.”

“Molly was a real trooper, having the baby without any drugs.”

“It was Owen that I thought was going to pass out.”

“He did turn several shades of green until the whole thing was over,” Debbie chuckled.

“The baby will be a month old when we get back, ready for a visit from his favorite grandmother,” Carl suggested.

“That would be Jennifer, not me. I’m not his grandmother,” Debbie protested.

“You’re everybody’s grandmother,” Carl told her.

Debbie smiled fondly at her husband. “I guess I am.”

“You know you are.”

“Okay, let’s go. Elvis is waiting,” Debbie said decisively. She was feeling much better all of a sudden.

“Isn’t Elvis dead?”

“They say his spirit is at Graceland. It was his home for Priscilla and their baby. He’s still there,” Debbie informed her husband.

“Then let’s go find him.” Carl started the Winnebago and pulled out into traffic.

*****

“Seth,” Jennifer said.

“Yes, my darling.”

“I’m thirsty.”

“I’ll be right back,” Seth said, getting up from his lounger beside the pool at their hotel in Aruba.

Jennifer leaned back and closed her eyes. She was under an umbrella so that her fair skin didn’t get fried by the hot Caribbean sun. She was so happy. She and Seth had flown to Aruba for their honeymoon, after they had made sure that Molly and her new baby were fine.

She smiled as she thought about their wedding. Everything had been so perfect. The gardens at Edna’s Treasures were so beautiful and the day had turned out to be glorious after all the rain. All their family and friends were assembled, and were so happy for them. Molly had made it down the aisle, and Bree had performed her duties as flowergirl impeccably. Justin had walked her proudly down the aisle. She had looked into Seth’s eyes and seen the love he had for her. And then all hell had broken loose as Molly’s water broke.

Jennifer chuckled to herself. Father Tom had rushed them through their vows before Dr. Dan took over and walked Molly back to the cottage. Brian was having apoplexy about a baby being born in his bed, but he couldn’t stop the course of nature. Molly had been so brave and had a beautiful baby to show for all her efforts. Both mother and child were doing fine. Another grandchild, Jennifer thought to herself. She was so lucky to be blessed with grandchildren. If the new baby was anything like Briana, she would have two very smart and creative grandchildren. But better than that she would have two very loving grandchildren.

“Here you are, sweetheart,” Seth said as he held out a frosty island concoction in a large glass.

Jennifer took it and sipped tentatively. “It tastes divine,” she cooed happily. “What do they call this one?”

“It’s today’s special, Pineapple Aruba,” Seth informed her as he sat down on his chaise and sipped his own drink.

Jennifer took a bite of the pineapple piece that adorned the lip of her glass. “The pineapple’s almost as good as the drink.”

“Maybe better,” Seth said as he nibbled on his own pineapple.

“I may have to have another one of these later on,” Jennifer replied as she ate the rest of her pineapple and took a long sip of the delicious drink.

“Just be careful,” Seth advised. “I have a feeling these things could sneak up on you without any warning.”

“You could be right,” Jennifer laughed.

“Are you having a good time here?” Seth asked extending his hand so Jennifer could take it. He liked nothing better than touching his new bride at every opportunity.

“I’m enjoying every minute of it. It’s lovely to be away … just the two of us.”

“But…?” Seth asked. He could hear the “but” at the end of her sentence.

“I was just thinking about Molly and her first child.”

“Missing them a bit?’

“Just a bit.”

“I’m sure they’re fine or we would have heard otherwise.”

“Yes,” Jennifer agreed. “That old adage about no news being good news is usually true.”

“But you’d like some verification for your own peace of mind?”

“I would,” Jennifer stated.

“Then why don’t we call them when we go back to the room?”

“I’d like that.”

“And you can tell them what a wonderful time you’re having here,” Seth said with a big smile.

“That I will,” Jennifer agreed, “because I really am having a wonderful time. You’ve made this the perfect honeymoon, although I only have one other one to compare it to.”

“I hope this one measures up favorably.”

“It’s been great so far, and I’m sure it will continue to be that way.” Jennifer squeezed Seth’s hand. “You know, I’m suddenly feeling like a little nap before dinner.”

“I could go for that too,” Seth smiled.

“Then let’s go back to the room.”

Seth stood up and offered Jennifer his hand to help her up. She set down her now empty drink glass. “After our nap, we can call Molly and then have another one of those delicious drinks.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Seth agreed, as he escorted his beautiful new wife back to their room.



*****



“Molly?”

“Mom, is that you?”

“Yes, honey, can you hear me? Oh, these are horrible connections,” Jennifer grumbled.

“I can hear you fine, Mom. Is something wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong, sweetheart. I just wanted to call to make sure you and the baby are all right. Am I calling too late?”

“We’re fine, we’re all fine,” Molly said as she rolled her eyes at Owen. The new father was blissfully changing a nasty diaper. “It’s only eight o’clock; it’s not like we’re in a different time zone.”

“We just wanted to call to see how you all are. Seth and I were about to go to dinner.”

“Dinner? I though you liked your meals a little earlier than this?”

“Well, we were napping.” Jennifer blushed as she heard her daughter chuckle.

“Napping. Is that what they’re calling it now,” Molly teased. “Mom, we’re fine, I promise you.”

“But we had to leave and I was worried.”

“I know but Doctor Dan said that babies were coming into this world just like ours since the beginning of time. And he said even though it was years since he delivered a baby, it was just like riding a bike. Besides, Claire was there and she used to mid-wife for Bridgeton.”

“Honey...”

“Mom, Brian arranged for an ambulance to take us into Pittsburgh. Doctor Dan and Claire rode with us. We met our doctor at Allegheny and we’re all fine.”

“You’re sure.”

“Yes, Mom, I’m sure. The baby is perfect. Taylor has ten fingers and ten toes and a set of lungs that would make Debbie proud. Now don’t you think it’s time for you and Seth to go to dinner so that you can both keep up your strength for all that napping? You’re a beautiful woman, Mom, and he is a virile man. Isn’t he? There should be lots of napping and less phone calls.”

“All right, if you insist.”

“I insist. We’ll see you in a couple of weeks and I expect details.”

“Molly!”

“Of the island, Mom.”

“Oh,” Jennifer giggled. “Of course with all this napping, I haven’t seen much of it. But they do keep a clean ceiling in our room.”

“Hanging up now, Mom. I love you and all my love to Seth.”

“Love you too, sweetheart. You kiss my grandchild and my son-in-law for me. Bye, honey.”

“Bye, Mom.”

“Your mother and Seth really going at it that much?” Owen asked.

“Apparently. Scary, isn’t it?”

“Not at all. I hope we’ll still be napping when we’re their age,” Owen said with a wistful smile.

“I wish I could do some napping now and not the kind with my eyes closed.”

“Mol, you’ve just had a baby. You need time to heal and to get strong. I can wait. And there’s other things we can do besides napping. For now, I’m happy just to cuddle with you and Taylor.”

“I love you, Owen,” Molly said as she yawned.

“Love you too,” he whispered as he held his wife close as she dropped off to sleep. With the baby peacefully sleeping in the crib, Owen joined his family in slumber.



Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 2




“Gonna cum,” Justin groaned. Edna’s Treasures was back to normal. Their room was their own once again. Brian had the need for some Sunshine loving and Justin was more than willing to give Brian all he had.

Justin reached around Brian’s slim waist to give Brian’s dick some attention as he fucked Brian’s tight ass. Justin tried to maintain his control, wanting Brian to come first. His diligence was soon rewarded as he felt Brian’s cock swell impossibly harder in his hand then shoot the sheets below them. Justin’s own orgasm was then triggered by Brian’s tight muscles clenching around him. He filled his lover with his own hot cum.

“Holy fucking shit, Justin,” Brian exclaimed when his brain made its way back into his head. Justin had collapsed atop his back, his left hand entwined with Brian’s fingers. Justin had no intention of moving anytime soon. Brian had no intention of letting him.

“Love you, Brian,” Justin murmured sleepily into the back of Brian’s shoulders. Brian chuckled softly not wanting to lose his Sunshine blanket.

“Wha’s so funny?” Justin mumbled.

“Not funny, cute,” Brian said risking Justin’s wrath.

“I’m too old to be cute.”

“You’ll never be too old to be cute. You’ll be the cutest ninety-nine year old on the planet.”

“I'll hold you to that,” Justin said emphatically.

“Hold me to what?”

“The only way for you to know that I’m going to be the cutest ninety-nine year old on the planet is for you to be there to tell me. So I’m holding you to your promise.”

“Justin, when you’re ninety-nine, I’ll be...fuck!”

“And we’ll still be fucking.”

“You, maybe. I don’t think I’ll be in any position to be fucking.”

“You will be if you stay like this for the rest of your life.”

“So you intend to hold me captive in our room for the rest of our lives?” Brian asked, even though he realized that they were having the silliest conversation they’d had in a very long time.

“Yes. I think I like it up here,” Justin said as he snuggled down more into his lover’s back. His softened cock had slipped out of Brian; they both groaned at the loss.

Brian turned his head in an effort to see Justin’s face. “Kiss me,” he whispered. Justin reached up to oblige him. They shared a sweet tender kiss.

“Bri, you okay?” Justin asked when they finally came up for air.

“Yeah, must be all those female hormones still on the loose in our room,” Brian groused making Justin giggle. “You learned your lessons well, Sunshine.”

“Yeah?” Brian felt Justin smile smugly against his shoulder.

“No fishing, but yes, I could go for this more often,” Brian admitted.

Justin began to slowly rut up against Brian’s ass; his dick was filling again.

“More like this?” Justin purred as he slipped into his lover’s loosened ass.

“I’ve created a monster,” Brian squeaked as he held onto Justin’s hand allowing his mate to thoroughly love him.



*****



“Touch down!” Drew cried out as he came deeply in his lover. Emmett and Drew had come home from a long day of working. They were hungry but not for food. Drew found himself incredibly hard and horny. He wanted his lover and on every flat surface imaginable in their apartment. Emmett was currently on his back on their kitchen table with his legs up in the air and spread eagled.

“Oh my,” Emmett panted. “What’s gotten into you?”

“You, I hope after we get into bed,” Drew replied. They rested for a bit before Drew helped his lover up off the table. They gathered up their strewn about clothes then retired to resume their lovemaking in their bedroom.



*****


“Wasn’t Graceland … magical?” Debbie asked as she and Carl sat outside their motorhome in the RV park they had found outside of Memphis.









“Magical,” Carl replied.

“You didn’t like it?’

“It was okay.”

“Okay? Fucking okay! Elvis lived there and he and Priscilla had Lisa Marie there. It was his home.”

“Deb,” Carl said calmly, “I know you’re a big Elvis fan and I liked him fine, but I’m not fanatical about it.”

“Meaning that I am?”

“No, just meaning that it means more to you than it does to me.”

“I see.”

“What does that mean, Deb? Are you mad at me?”

“No,” Debbie conceded. “It would be stupid to get mad over how much you liked or didn’t like Elvis.”

“Good,” Carl said breathing a sigh of relief.

“But you have to admit Elvis sure knew how to decorate a house.”

“You think so?” Carl had to ask.

“That den with the cloth ceiling was just … magnificent.”

“You liked that?’

“Yes, I’d love to do something like that at our house,” Debbie said her eyes filled with wonder as she thought about that possibility.

“But we don’t have a den,” Carl reminded her.

“We could put fabric on the ceiling of Michael’s old room … or our bedroom,” Debbie suggested as that thought hit her. Her eyes lit up with excitement. “Wouldn’t that be great?”

“Well,” Carl started.

“Well what? You don’t like the idea?’

“I think it’s the kind of thing that works well in a house like Graceland, but not so well in a house like ours,” Carl said carefully.

“When did you learn to be an interior decorator?”

“I’m not. You’re much better at that than I am.”

“And when did you get to be so fucking diplomatic?”

“After working at Babylon with tweaked out twinks and horny gay guys who weren’t really doing anything all that bad, but were on the verge of getting themselves into serious trouble, I learned how to diplomatically diffuse the situation and send them on their way.”

Debbie smiled fondly at her husband. That was effectively what he had done with her. “I love you, Carl Horvath. I hope Babylon will be just as safe now that you’re not there any longer.” She reached out her hand so that Carl could take it in his. She had never had anyone to look after her until Carl came along. She had spent her whole life looking after herself, and then Michael and finally Vic when he got sick. It was nice to feel safe and protected with her big, ex-cop man around. “I love you a whole bunch,” she added.

“Your approval means a lot to me, Deb, and I love you a whole bunch right back.” He squeezed Debbie’s hand gently.

“So, where are we going to go next on this cross country tour we’re fucking on?” Debbie asked deciding she’d start bawling if they continued to discuss how much they loved each other.

“I thought we’d head up to Missouri and see the arch at St. Louis,” Carl said.

“An arch?”

“You know the big one that’s there.”

“And you thought I was nuts laying flowers on Elvis’ grave. You want to see an arch?”









 

“I want to see this arch.”

“Well, you brought me to Graceland, so I guess the least I can do is go see an arch with you,” Debbie chuckled.

“That’s my girl.” Carl smiled at her.

They realized the sun had gone down while they had been talking.

“What do you say we hit the hay early so we can start out first thing in the morning?” Debbie asked.

“I’m not really sleepy.”

“Neither am I, but there are other things we can do in bed.”

“Oh! Okay!” He stood up and pulled Debbie into a hug. He kissed her cheek. “You do have good ideas.”

Debbie giggled. “That’s not what you thought about my decorating ideas,” she said.

“Some of your other ideas are much more … captivating.”

Debbie chuckled and wrapped her arm around Carl’s waist, before they went into the RV and locked the door behind them.



*****



“Hey, Lacy,” Melanie said as she and Lindsay came into the diner.

“Hi, Mel, Lindsay, what can I get you?”

“Coffee and one lemon bar.”

“You sharing?” Lacy laughed.

“Yes,” Lindsay replied. “We’re watching our figures.”

“Or no one else will,” Melanie laughed. She was as slim as she had always been, although Lindsay had put on a couple of pounds.

Lacy brought the coffeepot over and poured them each a cup. “Where have you two been this time of night?’

“We just came from a movie,” Lindsay said as she stirred her coffee.

“Oh, was it good?” Lacy asked.

Melanie made gagging sounds to show what she thought of the movie. “Absolutely awful.”

“That’s too bad.” Lacy went to get their lemon bar.

“I’m glad we went out for the evening,” Lindsay said sipping her coffee.

“Even if you had to sit through that horrendous movie?” Melanie asked.

“It’s good to do things together … outside of the house.”

“We do things outside of the house,” Melanie said with a frown.

“But rarely together,” Lindsay said. “When was the last time we went to a movie or a concert or an art show?”

Melanie frowned and thought about the question. “Other than an occasional event at the GLC and Justin’s latest art show, we don’t very often go out together, do we?”

“Not unless we’re going to Edna’s Treasures for a family get together or to Debbie’s for a meal.”

“What are you saying?” Melanie wanted to know.

“I’m saying that one of our promises when we came back from St. Augustine was that we’d do more things together … as a family,” Lindsay reminded her.

“And we have,” Melanie stated.

“To some extent. We do more things with JR, but not much more with Gus.”

“He’s a fucking teenager and he can drive. What does he want to do with us?” Melanie demanded.

“But that’s just the point. What do we ever do together, just the two of us? When the kids are gone, where does that leave us?” Lindsay asked.

“We just went to a fucking movie.”

“I know, but how many times did I have to twist your arm to get you to go with me?”

Melanie scowled. “A few, I guess.”

“I think we need some other interests that we can do together. Work and the kids are not everything?”

“Since when?” Melanie asked sarcastically.

“Since now. I want to broaden our horizons.”

Lacy set the plate containing the lemon bar down on the table. “I couldn’t help but overhear,” she said. “If you’re looking for something to do, I have a couple of pieces in an art show at PIFA. It’s this Saturday. I could get you a couple of tickets.”

“That would be great, Lacy,” Lindsay said with a smile.

“Yeah, great,” Melanie responded not thrilled about another art show. It wasn’t long ago since they had to make a command performance at Justin’s show.

“I’ll get a couple of tickets tomorrow and you can pick them up here,” Lacy said happy to have some friends coming to her show.

“Thanks, Lacy,” Lindsay said as she broke a piece off the lemon bar with her fork.

“Couldn’t we do something other than an art show?” Melanie asked pointedly.

“Of course we can. What would you like to do?”

“I don’t know … just something else.”

“When you think of something let me know,” Lindsay said before popping the bite of lemon bar in her mouth.



*****



“Daddy?” Bree called out as she slowly walked into the sun porch clutching her grey bunny in her hand. It was way past her bedtime but she woke up coughing, sneezing and needing her daddies.

Bree’s daddies were snuggled together on the chaise. The early Spring night air was still a little cool so they were cuddled under an afghan. The full moon was their only light.

“We’re here, baby girl,” Justin said as he got up off the chaise. He was at his daughter’s side in less than a second. “What’s wrong, baby?” Justin was feeling Bree’s forehead as he noted her stuffy nose and puffy eyes.

“Does she have a fever?” Brian asked.

“I don’t think so. She kinda looks like me when my allergies are acting up.”

“Makes sense. She is your daughter and we had enough April showers to help the flowers make pollen.”

“She’s never had allergies before.”

“Sometimes things change, Justin. You know that.”

“I just don’t want her to suffer like I did.”

“You’ve gotten it under control and so will the Squirt. For now, let’s give her a little medicine to clear up her nose so she can sleep. If she’s still miserable in the morning, we’ll take her to the doctor.”

Justin nodded his head in agreement then picked up his pitiful looking daughter to take her back to bed. Brian got out the children’s decongestant from the medicine cabinet. When he opened the door to Bree’s room, he found his lover gently rocking their princess. Bree took her medicine without complaint then fell asleep in her Daddy’s arms.

“It’s times like this that I wish I was an artist like you.”

“Why?”

“Because I would paint you both.”

“Even with her stuffy nose?”

“Stuffy nose and all. She’s beautiful, an angel in my angel’s arms,” Brian said softly. “I’d love a portrait for the attic office.”

Justin smiled serenely. ‘And he thinks he doesn’t do romance. He’s the most romantic man I know,’ Justin thought to himself. “Bri, if you take a picture, I’ll paint that portrait for you.”

Brian nodded then quickly took out his camera phone. He took several pictures before turning to leave the room.

“Stay,” Justin whispered. He was still rocking Bree who seemed to be breathing a lot better.

Brian made himself comfortable on Briana’s bed so that he could gaze upon his two angels.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 3




“How does a walk along the beach in the moonlight sound?” Seth asked as he and Jennifer finished their very late dinner at the resort in Aruba.

“It sounds like the perfect end to a perfect day,” Jennifer cooed as she pushed back her chair.

Seth was immediately there to take it out of her way as she stood up. He replaced it under the table.

“Good evening,” their waiter said as Seth signed the bill. “I hope you enjoyed your meal.”

“Everything was wonderful,” Jennifer stated.

The waiter beamed with pride and then hustled away.

“The staff here are very solicitous and really seem to take pride in their jobs,” Seth observed.

“Yes, I would very much recommend this place for anyone who wants a relaxing, beautiful vacation,” Jennifer replied as they walked out of the restaurant and down towards the beach.

“You’re enjoying yourself?” Seth asked.

“Very much, especially our naps.”

Seth laughed out loud. “I love you, Jennifer Taylor.”

“Hey, it’s Jennifer Harris now, and you better love me now that we’re married.”

Seth shook his head as they slipped off their sandals and started to walk along the beach in their bare feet. Seth put his arm around Jennifer’s shoulders. The warm sand felt lovely as it squished between their toes.

“I’ve called you Jennifer Taylor for so long now that I can’t get used to calling you Jennifer Harris, although Jennifer Harris does have a very sweet sound to my ears.”

“What’s that old joke?” Jennifer chuckled. “You can call me whatever you like, just don’t call me late for dinner.”

Seth laughed. “I’m suddenly starting to feel like another nap.”

“I want another one of today’s island specialty drinks, and then I’ll be ready for a nap too,” Jennifer said with a warm smile for her new husband.

“Then let’s head back,” Seth said as they turned around and headed back to the hotel. The huge tropical moon glistened down on the sand and the lovers who walked upon it.



*****



“Molly,” Owen sighed as his eyes opened. “Molly! The baby’s crying again.”

“I know. I have ears. What do you think is wrong this time?” Molly asked tiredly.

“Hungry,” Owen mumbled as he buried his head in his pillow.”

“Then go feed Taylor,” Molly stated crossing her arms on her chest. “I’m exhausted.”

“You’re breastfeeding. I can’t do it.”

“Why don’t you grow a pair?” Molly demanded. She was so tired. It seemed like Taylor wanted to be fed every few minutes, and then would be hungry again right after. She wasn’t sure how much longer she could keep doing this without any sleep, without ever feeling like she was satisfying her child. She felt like shit and she was sure she looked like shit. Having a baby and looking after it wasn’t supposed to be this hard.

When Owen made no signs of getting out of bed, Molly threw back the covers and marched out of the room. “Prick,” she mumbled, as she left the bedroom. She hoped her husband heard her.

She picked up Taylor and sat down in the rocking chair in the baby’s room. She offered her breast and watched her child latch on. The baby sucked away for a while and then fell asleep.

“Great,” Molly said as she laid Taylor back in the crib. “That ought to keep you satisfied for the next fifteen minutes.” She rubbed her eyes as she looked at her son. Then she gently ran her hand over the baby’s mop of unruly hair. Although she loved her child so much, she was almost at her wit’s end about what to do with these constant feedings.

Wearily she dragged herself back to her bedroom and climbed in beside her sleeping husband. “Asshole,” she felt compelled to say to his back. She laid her weary head on her pillow and dozed off.

She was sure she hadn’t been asleep for more than ten minutes when Taylor started crying again. She didn’t bother to fight with Owen this time; she merely threw back the covers and got up.

“Taylor, what’s wrong?” Molly asked softly as the baby continued to cry when she entered the nursery.

She gently lifted him up and sat down in her rocker. She brought out her breast and watched Taylor latch on. Something had to be wrong. It wasn’t supposed to be like this. She knew there were supposed to be a lot of feedings, but this was way too often, and the baby never seemed to get filled up. She watched her child suck at her breast and wished that this would be the satisfying feeling she had read about in all the books. She was supposed to be bonding with her child, but that wasn’t what was happening.

When Taylor fell asleep again after a couple of minutes, she laid him back in the crib and went to the living room. It was only ten after eleven, but it felt like four in the morning. She so wanted to call her mother and ask her what to do. She needed some advise, some help. But she didn’t want to interrupt her mother’s honeymoon and worry her about what was happening back home.

With a weary sigh, she stared at the TV which was not turned on. She was praying that an answer might suddenly appear on the blank screen. Nothing came. She closed her eyes and then leaned her head on the soft back of the sofa. That was when inspiration struck.

“Justin,” she said aloud. She grabbed the portable phone that sat on the coffee table. She hit number two on the speed dial and let it ring.

“What?” an angry voice demanded. It was Brian.

“Put my brother on,” Molly demanded with no preliminaries.

“Justin,” she heard Brian say. “Justin! It’s your bitch of a sister.”

That made her laugh and she suddenly felt better than she had in days.

“Molly, what’s wrong?” Justin’s voice came to her.

“It’s the baby. All I do is feed Taylor every fifteen minutes and it’s never enough.” The tears started down her cheeks and she couldn’t stop them. “I don’t know what to do,” she wailed.

“Molly, Molly!” Justin repeated. “Listen to me. Are you listening?”

“You sound just like Brian,” Molly cried dejectedly.

“Stop it! Listen to me.”

“Okay, what do you want to say, Jester, and platitudes won’t cut it,” Molly sniffled getting a hold on her fragile emotions.

“You and Taylor need to go see the pediatrician tomorrow,” Justin stated. “Tell her what’s happening and she will be able to help you with what to do.”

“But why won’t the baby ever get satisfied when I breastfeed?” Molly asked. “I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.”

“Maybe you’re not doing anything wrong,” Justin suggested. “Maybe you don’t have enough milk. Maybe you need to put Taylor on formula.”

“Formula? But breast milk is supposed to be better. I don’t want my baby on formula.”

“Bree grew up on formula,” Justin told her.

“She did?”

“Well, who did you think was going to breastfeed her, me or Brian? Ow!”

“What?”

“Brian just pinched me for saying that.”

“Sorry,” Molly sighed. “Do you really think I might need to switch to formula?”

“I don’t know, Mol, but you need to go find out. And formula’s not so bad.”

“How do you figure that?”

“Then Owen can do the feedings too. I made Brian do it. Ow!”

“What now?”

“He pinched me again.”

“Did Brian really help with the feedings?”

“Of course he did, and he was pretty good at it too.”

“I was excellent at it,” Brian’s voice said over the phone as he leaned in so Molly could hear him.

“Like you are at everything,” Molly chuckled.

“Of course.”

“Oh shit, he’s crying again. I have to go,” Molly said standing up.

“Go look after the baby and go to the doctor tomorrow,” Justin advised.

“I will. Thanks, Jester.”

“Night, Mol.”



*****



“Molly! How’s little Taylor doing?” the baby’s pediatrician asked as she came through the exam room door.

“I don’t know. I guess all right but he’s hungry all the time and I don’t think I’m making enough milk and I don’t want Taylor to grow up on formula and I’m sooo tired,” Molly cried all at once.

“Shh, it’s going to be fine. You’re not the first new mother to have this problem. Let’s check the baby out and then I’m going to make an appointment for you to see our maternal/child nurse. She’s just down the hall and I’ll have my receptionist call right now. You can see her right after we’re through.”

“Maternal/child nurse?”

As the pediatrician examined Taylor, she explained to Molly what the specialized nurse would do.

“But what about all the special nutrients and immunities I read about in the colostrum?”

“That’s only present in your breast milk for about a day or two. Taylor got it already. Don’t worry, Molly, not all women are made to breast feed. That’s why there were wet nurses. We’ll find the best way to keep Taylor happy. It doesn’t make you a bad mother. In fact, you did right by bringing the baby to me so quickly before he could lose any weight. That says to me that you’re a very good mother.”

Molly gave the doctor a slight smile. When the doctor was finished with her exam, Molly bundled up the baby and took her to the maternal/child nurse.



*****



“Justin?”

“Hey, Mollusk. Everything okay?” Justin asked his sister over the phone.

“It is now. Can me and Owen come up to see you? I really need you.”

“Sure. You want to stay for a few days?”

“Can we? Do you think Brian would mind?”

“He won’t mind. Besides, you know his bark is worse than his bite. Ow! Quit it, Bri.” Molly giggled at her brother-in-law’s antics. “I love you, Jester. We’ll see you soon.”

“Sure, Molly. I love you too.” As brother and sister cut the connection Brian made a call.

“Claire, do you think you can tear yourself away from your he-man for a couple of days?”

“I believe so. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing really but I think a certain very new mother needs a little motherly advice. And since her own mother is soaking up the sun somewhere and getting la...”

“TMI, Brian. I’ll be there soon.”

“Thank you, Claire.”

“Brian, what are you doing?”

“Justin, did your mother breast feed you?”

“I don’t think so.”

“So she probably didn’t give much advice to your sister. And as much as you wanted to grow a pair of tits to feed Bree with, we were very lucky that she took to the bottle right away and we had absolutely no problems feeding her. She had no problems with her formula either. Molly has no frame of reference and I’m not sure she’ll feel comfortable whipping out her tits in front of us. Even if we are fags. Now Claire has birthed hundreds of babies and I’ll bet my bottom dollar, she either breast fed John or has given lots of advice to new mothers.”

“But what if Molly ends up bottle feeding?”

“We can help with that. We’ve all had plenty of experience,” Brian said indicating John and Bobby too. “But sometimes a woman needs another woman and the best woman for the job in this instance is Claire.”

“Okay. I see your point. Molly sounded so tired, Bri.”

“I know. I remember those two a.m. feedings and the Squirt teething in the middle of the night. But we survived and so will your sister.”

“I love you, Brian,” Justin said as he wrapped his arms around his very wise and loving spouse.

“I love you, too, Sunshine.”



*****



“Molly, why did we have to come all the way out here? My parents are going to have a fit,” Owen grumbled. They had just pulled up in front of Edna’s Treasures. It was just about dinnertime. Both Owen and Molly were tired, hungry and very grumpy. Taylor had slept for the ride but was beginning to stir. Molly was beginning to dread the baby’s next feeding.

“Because my brother invited us.” A little white lie, but Molly just didn’t want to say that she needed her brother and even Brian right now. Owen was trying to help but only managing to get on her nerves.

“Auntie Molly!” Bree screeched as she ran out of the front door. “Hi, Unca Owen.”

“Hi, princess,” Owen said sweetly.

“Hi, short stuff. Is your daddy inside?”

“Uh huh and Gamma Claire is here too. Can I see the baby?” Bree was straining on her toes to see the baby in Molly’s arms.

“Let’s go inside first so I can sit down. I’m a little tired.”

“Okay, Auntie Molly.” Bree gently took Molly’s hand to lead her inside. Owen, who was carrying all their bags was dutifully following.

“Hey, Mollusk,” Justin said softly as he took Taylor from his very weary sister. He kissed his sister’s cheek then turned Molly over to Claire.

“Oh, Claire,” Molly managed to say before she burst into tears. Claire whisked the distraught new mom into her son’s end of Edna’s Treasures. Owen stood there helpless to act. Taylor began to fuss.

“Owen, did you bring the formula?” Justin asked the exhausted new dad.

“Yeah,” Owen sighed.

“Bri?” Justin called over his shoulder. He heard Brian come through the hall.

“Got it,” Brian said as he reached for the baby bag that was brimming with all manner of baby supplies including bottles and formula. Justin was walking and cooing to the baby as Brian quickly made up a batch of formula. “I’ll take the baby, Justin, you handle dear old dad,” Brian snarked as he slipped the bottle into his back pocket then took Taylor from Justin’s arms. Brian then took the baby into Bree’s room as Justin steered the harried father over to the sofa in the living room.

“Drink?” Justin asked Owen.

“I, uh...I should check on Molly and Taylor,” Owen stuttered.

“What you should do is have a drink, at the very least, a beer. Claire will take care of Molly for now. And Brian will take care of Taylor. When was the last time you slept through the night?” Justin asked as he got a cold beer from the fridge and gave it to Owen.

“I don’t remember. Seems like months.”

“The baby’s less than two weeks old,” Justin said with a knowing smirk.

“Yeah.” Owen took a few sips of beer then began to drift off. Before the bottle could fall out of his hand, Justin caught it. He threw a light blanket over Owen then quickly left the room. He met Claire in the sun porch.

“How’s Molly?”

“Exhausted. She’s out cold on John’s couch. Bree and Patrick are playing quietly in Patrick’s room. She’ll stay with Patrick tonight.”

“Owen’s out too on our sofa. They were trying to do it all by themselves,” Justin sighed. Brian and Justin had had lots of help when Bree was an infant as had John and Bobby with Patrick.

“I know. And she thinks she’s a bad mother because she’s not making enough milk. I think she’s just dehydrated. She won’t make milk if she’s not hydrated enough.” Justin nodded. “Where’s the baby?”

Justin indicated that Claire should follow. They opened the door to Bree’s room where they found Brian softly humming to a very contented baby as he rocked Taylor in the same rocking chair they used for baby Briana.

“Three angels,” Brian cooed with a beatific smile as he looked down on the blue eyed baby in his arms.

Claire and Justin left the room to finish preparing dinner, leaving the proud uncle with his charge.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 4




“Morning, Owen,” Brian said as he continued to whip up breakfast.

“Morning,” Owen said groggily. “What time is it? It’s daylight.” Owen was still wearing the clothes he had arrived in and looking rather rumpled and unhappy.

“That would be correct. It’s a little after seven a.m.”

“Seven? A.M.?”

Brian nodded. “Let it sink in,” he chuckled.

“But, we got here at dinnertime,” Owen said in bewilderment.

“You’ve been asleep ever since you arrived.”

“But … that’s over twelve hours.”

“Correct again,” Brian replied as he slid his scrambled eggs into a casserole dish and put them in the oven to stay warm.

“How … how is that possible?” Then one horrible answer to his question hit him. “Where’s Taylor? Did something happen to the baby? Has Molly gone to the hospital?”

“In Bree’s bedroom with Justin, no, nothing happened to Molly or the baby. Molly’s over in John’s side of the cottage.”

“But…”

“Owen, sit down and drink this,” Brian said shoving a cup of coffee at the man.

Owen took it and sat down at the kitchen table. “What day is it?” he asked.

Brian laughed. “Thursday.”

“Oh … good … at least I didn’t lose a day.”

“You and Molly looked like you could use a whole day of sleep. You don’t have to do everything by yourselves, you know,” Brian counseled. “Justin and I had all kinds of help with Bree.”

Owen studied Brian taking in what he had said. “I guess we just thought we should be able to do it. We’re both intelligent, capable people.”

“Dada!” Bree screeched running into the kitchen. “Taylor made this gigantic belch!” she giggled.

“That’s a baby for you,” Brian said with a smile.

“Hi, Unca Owen. You sleep real good,” Bree stated as she climbed up onto a chair beside him.

“Thanks Bree. I was very tired.”

“You need lots of sleep to feel good,” Bree told him with all the wisdom of her six years, and the constant reinforcement from her fathers about the importance of sleep.

“Ready for breakfast, Squirt?” Brian asked his daughter.

“Yep, should I get Patrick and his daddies?”

“Yes, and Auntie Molly if she’s awake.”

“Okay,” Bree said sliding off her chair.

“Bree, don’t wake Molly if she’s still asleep,” Brian cautioned. Owen gave him a thankful look. “Owen, can you give me a hand setting all this out in the sun porch? There’s more room out there.”

“Sure,” Owen replied.

Soon the whole group was assembled on the sun porch enjoying breakfast. Molly had woken up when the house started to stir. She had rushed into the kitchen as confused and worried as Owen had been. The new parents had gone to see their sleeping angel in Bree’s room before sitting down to some breakfast.

“I can’t believe that Taylor is actually sleeping and has been for over an hour,” Molly sighed. “I couldn’t get him to sleep for more than fifteen minutes at a time.”

“I’d say the child was hungry, dear,” Claire told her gently. “You should be fine now that you’re using formula.”

“I so wanted to breastfeed,” Molly replied sadly.

“You did breastfeed,” Claire said gently. “You could still offer Taylor your breast, but you may need to supplement it with formula.”

“Um … could we talk about something other than breasts and milk and formula?” Brian requested. “I think I may be ill.”

“Shut up, Kinney,” Molly retorted.

“We’ll talk later, Molly, when the squeamish men aren’t around,” Claire said.

“Thanks, Claire, I’m so glad you’re here.”

“Hey, what about us?” Brian asked.

“You’re okay, Kinney. You’ll do in a pinch,” Molly laughed.

“And he knows how to pinch,” Justin replied, happy to see his sister laugh. Brian gave his husband a pinch just to emphasize that point. “Ow!” Justin squirmed out of Brian’s reach.

“Time for school, kiddies,” Bobby said standing up. “Get your book bags.”

The children ran off to get ready for school.

“How do you get them to obey so readily?” Molly asked watching the children race out of the sun porch as Bobby had directed.

“We only produce obedient children,” Brian said with a smirk.

“You are so full of shit, Kinney,” Molly said shaking her head. “Seriously, how do you get them to this stage?”

Justin smiled. “It was a lot of hard work and perseverance, and never letting them feel unloved.”

“And disciplining them when they need it,” Brian threw in.

“Yeah, right, like the first time we had to correct Bree and you sat outside her door for hours while she was in time-out,” Justin laughed.

“Just wanted to be sure she stayed in her room,” Brian said tongue in cheek.

“Yeah,” Justin said not prepared to mention the torment he knew that incident had put Brian through. A crying Bree had sent Brian into total desolation.

“I hope we can do it as well as you guys have,” Owen said taking Molly’s hand and squeezing.

“You’ll both do fine,” Claire said encouragingly.

Owen and Molly tried to smile, but they looked worried.

“Just take it one day at a time,” Brian stated gently. Then he added, “We’ll be here for sage and tested advice whenever it’s needed.”

Molly giggled. “Sometimes I love you, brother-in-law dearest.”

“And sometimes you’d like to throttle me,” Brian smirked.

“Exactly!”



*****



“That arch wasn’t half bad,” Debbie said as they made their way outside.

“See,” Carl said.








 

They had gone inside the north leg of the arch and ridden the tram to the top. It was an interesting place with a great view of the city. There had also been displays about the history and building of the arch that they took the time to look at.

“Hey, want to grab lunch before we head out?” Carl asked.

“Yeah, parking that beast is a bitch,” Debbie said.

“I understand why we’ve seen other Winnebagos towing small cars.”

“It’s something to think about for next time,” Debbie mused, as they walked along the street.

“You think we might do this again some time?”

“Maybe … I haven’t hated being alone with you and seeing new things every day.” Debbie gave her husband a flirtatious look.

“I liked the first part of that statement,” Carl smiled.

“I love you, Carl Horvath, you know that.”

“Yes, but it’s nice to hear it every once in a while.”

“True. I’ll remember that.”

“This diner looks like a good place to eat.” They stopped in front of a diner that looked not unlike the one on Liberty that Debbie had worked at for so many years. They stood outside for a minute, sizing the place up.

“Diner food is the best,” Debbie stated.

“Yeah, as long as I don’t meet another red-headed waitress when we go inside,” Carl joked.

“You’ve already got your red-headed waitress,” Debbie declared.

“My point exactly.”

“So, let’s have lunch,” Debbie said as Carl pulled open the door of the diner and they entered.



*****



“Kinney,” Brian said into his phone.

The kids were off to school. Bobby was at work and John had gone into Pittsburgh to further inspect the Village. A few more boutiques wanted to open up and they called on Anderson Construction. Molly, Owen and the baby were napping. Claire took the opportunity to visit with Rachel. Justin decided to start on the portrait he promised Brian. Since it was quiet, Brian decided to do some work from his balcony office.

“Brian, it’s Drew.” Drew had his head in his refrigerator rummaging around for a snack.

“Hey Big Fella, was my travel agent helpful?”

“Very helpful. She was able to book us a ten day Caribbean fantasy cruise. Emm and I haven’t gone clubbing in a hell of a long time but this is a vacation. I figure he deserves a few dances. Don’t you?”

“Yes, he does. Make sure you book at least one spa day for him. Massage, manicure, pedicure, the full monty. He’ll be putty in your hands afterwards, although I’m sure he is already.”

“I can’t tell you enough how much this means to me,” Drew sang Brian’s praises. “I’d really love to reciprocate,” Drew drawled in a flirting tone. He never noticed Emmett standing behind him wearing a perplexed expression.



*****



“Owen,” Sharon began sternly, “I have been ringing Junior’s home phone since last night and all this morning, and all I get is that damned answering machine. Where do you suppose they are?”

“Perhaps they’re resting or taking a drive.”

“Resting?! With a newborn in the house! Taking a drive? The baby should not be out in this weather.”

“Sharon, it’s May and quite beautiful. A little fresh air is not going to hurt the baby or Molly and Junior, for that matter.”

“Owen, you’re not helping. And that’s no excuse for not returning my calls.”

“Perhaps they went away,” Owen offered.

“Away? With an infant? That’s unforgivable,” Sharon said indignantly.

“Did you try Junior’s cell phone?” Owen asked matter-of-factly.

“You know I don’t remember all those different numbers.”

“Sweetheart, Junior’s cell phone number is programmed into our phone and labeled. As is Molly’s cell phone number. You could have called either one,” Owen replied as he pushed the button for Owen Jr. After a few rings their slightly groggy son answered the phone. “Junior?”

“Hi, Dad.”

“Are you all right? Your mother has been trying to reach you. Are you home?”

“No, but we’re okay.” Owen Jr. was trying to shake the cobwebs from his brain. He and Molly had fallen asleep in Brian and Justin’s room. Taylor was sleeping in the portable crib at the foot of the bed. Molly wanted to keep the baby close after ‘passing out’ the night before.

“Where are you, son?”

“At Edna’s Treasures,” Owen blurted out as he carefully and quietly snuck out of the room so not to wake his wife and child.

“Junior, your mother...”

“Dad, not now. I don’t want to be rude. I love you and Mom but I can’t go into it now. Molly needed her brother, so we’re here. We’ve just gotten the first full night’s sleep since Taylor was born. And we’ve actually been able to take naps longer than ten minutes. Please, Dad, I’ll explain later, I promise. I just need some more sleep.”

Owen Jr.’s pleas got to his father. “All right, son. You call as soon as you’re able.”

“Thank you, Dad. Thank you. Tell Mom I love her.”

“I will, Junior.” Father and son hung up.

“Well!” Sharon exclaimed, looking extremely miffed at her husband. “Why didn’t you insist that I talk to him? And where is my grandchild?” Sharon demanded.

“First of all, I must insist that you calm down. They’re all up at Edna’s Treasures.”

“Edna’s...! Why in all that is holy are they up there? In that wilderness?”

“All I know is that Molly needed her brother so they drove up yesterday.”

“I demand that you drive me up there this instant. That’s no place for a baby.”

“Honey, you forget, Briana has spent her whole life in that cottage. And you have to admit, Briana is a remarkable little girl.”

“Well, I’ll give you that. But really, Owen, taking the baby all the way up there...”

“Sweetheart, Junior said that last night was the first night they all slept since the baby was born. And they were taking a nap. Let’s cut them some slack. I’m sure he’ll call when they’re able.”

“Fine, but I am very displeased.” Sharon turned then huffed away.

“I’m sure you are, my love,” Owen murmured as his wife walked away.



*****



“Jester?” Molly called out softly. She was placing the baby’s carrier on one of the sun porch tables then made herself comfortable on a chaise.

“Hey, Mollusk,” Justin replied with his sunny smile. He had just finished preparing the canvas for his portrait for Brian. “How are you feeling?”

“So much better. I can’t believe the baby is still sleeping.”

“Where’s Owen?”

“He’s still sleeping too.”

“Claire said you should be drinking more fluids. Would you like some juice?”

“Yes, please.” Justin went to the kitchen for a pitcher of juice and glasses. He set down a tray of juice, fruit and other snacks on an end table close to his sister.

“There. Do you need help?”

“No, I can manage. Jus, did Brian really get up at two in the morning to feed Bree?” Molly still had trouble reconciling Brian fucking Kinney, the stud of Liberty with Brian Kinney, Dada.

“Yes he did. And at four in the morning too. I also have pictures of him making a presentation at Kinnetik with Bree strapped to his chest. Of course he was wearing Armani while she was wearing Donna Karin!”

Brother and sister shared a quiet chuckle over that one.

“Contrary to popular belief, Brian Kinney has a heart.”

“I know he does. I do remember some things from back then.” Molly’s face took on a wistful expression.

“Mol, what is it?” Justin asked as he sat at Molly’s feet on the chaise.

“I didn’t think this was going to be so hard,” she said with a stuttered breath. Tears began to slip down her face. Justin reached out to hold his sister’s hand.

“It’ll get better, I promise. But Mol, ask for help. There’s no reason to do this all by yourself, and tell Owen what you need from him. He’s a wonderful man but he’s not a mind reader.”

“Brian is!”

“Brian … is different.”

“That’s for sure. I’ve never met anyone who knew how to get things done like him or with the uncanny knowledge of what someone needs. He can take care of anything.”

“Except himself, but he’s learning,” Justin said with a smile.

“You love him so much, don’t you?”

Justin nodded. “He’s my life.”

“I read that series of articles about you and him. That writer did a great job but there’s no one who truly knows him except for you.”

“I don’t know about that. You pinned him out good.”

“That’s because I had a crush on him.”

“So did Daphne and every other girl that meets him.”

“Sucks to be you, doesn’t it.” Molly’s smile turned into a yawn.

“Go back to sleep, Mol. I’ll keep an eye on Taylor.”

“Okay,” Molly answered without complaint. She snuggled back down into the chaise then fell asleep.

Justin took a peek into the baby’s carrier. Taylor was still sleeping peacefully as only a contented happy baby could. Justin smiled broadly. He liked being an uncle. He bent down to kiss the tiny forehead then went back to his canvas. Justin didn’t notice his husband smiling proudly from the balcony rail.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 5



“I’m going up there!” Sharon Brenner declared.

Owen Sr. let out a sigh. He had thought that he had been able to calm his wife down about Molly and Owen Jr. being at Edna’s Treasures. However, Sharon was not pleased and now seemed ready to do something about it. “What good would it do for you to go charging up there?” Owen asked. “It will only cause trouble in the family.”

“I want to know why our son would go to two men, two gay men, for help rather than come to me, his own mother.”

“I’m sure it was Molly who wanted to go to Edna’s Treasures, not Junior.”

“Molly would have wanted her mother, who’s away on her honeymoon. Why wouldn’t Junior want me?” Sharon asked really hurt by her son’s actions.

“As I said, my dear, I’m sure it wasn’t Junior’s idea. When Molly couldn’t have her mother, she turned to her brother.”

“That doesn’t make it any better,” Sharon pouted. “I don’t like being left out.”

“No one does, but sometimes things happen. I’m sure it wasn’t an intentional slight.”

“Do you think I could call them now? Surely they’ve had enough sleep,” Sharon said.

“If it will make you feel better, let’s call,” Owen replied, hoping this was the right thing to do, and not something that would only make matters worse.

Sharon smiled at him and handed him the phone. He hit the number for his son’s cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello, son. You sound wider awake than the last time I talked to you,” Owen Sr. said.

“I am, Dad, and so is Molly, and Taylor’s doing just fine.”

“Sleep always puts things into a different perspective,” Owen Sr. said sagely.

“You got that right, Dad.”

“Your mother would like to talk to you.”

“Okay.”

“Owen, dear, is everything all right? Is Taylor okay?” Sharon asked worriedly as she grabbed the phone from her husband.

“We’re good, Mom. No need to worry.”

“Why didn’t you come to me if you were having problems?” Sharon accused.

“I’m sorry, Mom. I just never thought about it. Molly and I thought we should be able to look after everything ourselves, and then we were so tired when Taylor wouldn’t sleep, that neither of us could think straight.”

“But the baby’s sleeping now?’

“Very well, and Molly and I are just about caught up on our sleep too.”

“What was wrong?” Sharon asked wondering what had precipitated the journey to Edna’s Treasures.

“Taylor was hungry, not getting enough milk to satisfy him, so the pediatrician advised us to start using formula.”

“Oh, I see.” Sharon couldn’t keep the disapproving note out of her voice.

“The baby’s thriving. It was the right decision,” Owen replied.

“When are you coming back to the city?”

“We aren’t sure but soon.”

“Could I speak with Molly?”

Owen looked at his wife who was sitting on the chaise holding the baby. He gave her a questioning look and she nodded that she would take the phone. He handed it to her.

“Hello, Sharon,” Molly said.

“How are you, dear?”

“Much better now that I’m here and we’ve gotten a few things straightened out.

“That’s good,” Sharon said rather icily.

“I’m sorry that we didn’t call you. I called Justin out of desperation. I was so tired and worn out,” Molly told her. That was the truth.

“I see.”

“Taylor says hi,” Molly interjected hoping that would make Sharon smile.

“Give him a kiss for me.”

Molly could hear Sharon’s voice soften as she mentioned the baby’s name. “I was thinking that when we get back to Pittsburgh maybe you and I could have a day together with Taylor. Maybe go to the park or something.”

Owen Sr. watched the smile on his wife’s face start to spread. “I’d love that,” Sharon said sincerely. The iciness in her voice had been replaced with a mother’s warmth.

“That’s great,” Molly said with a wink at her husband. “I’ll call you when I get back.”

“Please do, and I look forward to our day together with my grandchild.”

“So do I.”

“And if there are any further problems, please feel free to call me.”

“I will, Sharon, and thank you.” Molly cut the connection and handed the phone back to her husband.

“You didn’t have to do that, Molly,” Owen told her.

“Do what? Go out with your mother and our child? I didn’t have to but I wanted to. Taylor is her grandson and I want her to be a part of our baby’s life,” Molly said honestly.

“Thank you anyway. I knew there was some reason I loved you so much.”

Molly laughed. “I’m glad you can remember why. I was so tired the last few days that I wanted to kill you for ever getting me pregnant.”

“Let’s hope that’s all over with and the baby will keep doing fine.”

“Taylor will. I know it … now.”

“I love you.”

“And I love you right back.”



*****



“Feel better now?” Owen Sr. asked his wife as she set down the phone.

“Much,” Sharon said with a big smile. “Molly said she wants the two of us to go out for a day with Taylor. That will be fun.”

“See, I knew everything would be all right.”

“You always know best,” Sharon said kissing her husband’s cheek.

“It’s nice to hear that every once in a while.”

“I do appreciate you, dear.”

“Thank you.”

“I’m going to call mother and tell her what’s going on. I think I worried her when I called a little while ago.”

“Please do,” Owen sighed. Sharon grabbed the portable phone and hustled out of the study to make her call. Owen leaned back in his chair. Another crisis averted in his wife’s life. That seemed to be a large part of his day lately. Something was always setting his wife off. She obviously needed more to do. Maybe some time spent with Molly and Taylor would fill the space that was empty in her life. Owen turned and started to review his stock portfolio until the next crisis arose.



*****



“What am I doing here?” Melanie whined as she and Lindsay were strolling the long display hall that held all manner of paintings, drawings, and sculptures in various mediums. Lindsay had insisted they take advantage of the tickets that Lacy had given them.

“You’re looking at the wonderful artwork,” Lindsay said with a sigh. Lindsay once had to make some tough decisions regarding her own potential art career. Long ago she decided to adopt Brian’s adage of ‘no apologies, no regrets.’ If Lindsay couldn’t be that special artist, she would work damn hard to promote that special artist. She aspired to follow in Sidney Bloom’s footsteps, become an agent and represent her own ‘Justin Taylor’ one day.

“But do we have to look at all of it?” Mel continued to complain.

“Mel, do I not go to your office holiday parties year after year?” Lindsay asked her spouse. She so wanted to bring up the horrendous 4th of July party of last year but thought better of it.

“Yes you do,” Melanie conceded.

“Then you can be here with me,” Lindsay said in a tone that would brook no argument.

“Yes, dear,” Melanie replied as she hooked her arm with Lindsay’s. The two took their time strolling the hall.

“Lindz, what material is this?” Melanie asked as they approached a large framed canvas. The ‘painting’ was under glass to protect it.

“It’s paper,” Lindsay replied after examining the picture closely and reading the small placard that accompanied it.

“Paper? This is amazing, it looks like paint. Very thick paint. It’s so detailed.”

“Yes, it is. The artist shows a great attention to detail. I’d love to meet him or her,” Lindsay said mainly to herself.

“Hello, I’m Jamie,” a tall stately androgynous looking woman said as she held out her hand. “I’m the artist,” she explained.

“Lindsay Peterson,” Lindsay said as she shook Jamie’s hand. Jamie was as tall as Lindsay but with short brown hair and light brown eyes. Her slim build gave her almost a masculine quality; however, her delicate features made her feminine.

“I know who you are,” Jamie said. “I’ve visited the Sidney Bloom Gallery several times.”

“Aren’t you a little old to be a student?” Melanie snarked, feeling ignored and not wanting to be left out of the conversation.

“My philosophy is that we’re all students, every day of our lives, but you are correct in the literal sense. I’m one of the instructors here at the institute. We’re allowed to enter one piece of our own in designated shows. It’s my turn this time,” Jamie explained.

“Hmm,” Melanie snorted. She was jealous and not bothering to hide it.

“Your work is beautiful; you should exhibit more often. Here’s my card,” Lindsay said as she handed Jamie her business card. “Please call me. Perhaps the gallery can feature some of your work.”

Jamie’s face lit up. “Thank you. That would be fantastic. I’ll be in touch. Soon!” Jamie said without hiding her enthusiasm. Seeing one of her students with his parents, Jamie excused herself.

Lindsay felt Melanie tug on her arm. They proceeded to the next display.



*****



Debbie and Carl were strolling through the Jesse James house in St. Joseph, Missouri. They had headed northwest from St. Louis because Carl said he wanted to see Jesse James’ home. It was the place where the famous outlaw’s life had come to an end.

“Look,” Carl said, “there’s the bullet hole in the wall made by Jesse’s killer.” He stared at the spot.

“I don’t know what you find so fascinating about a hole in a fucking wall,” Debbie told him.

“I’ve always been fascinated by the old west. Why do you think I have all those Louis L’Amour paperbacks?”

“I didn’t realize it was the criminal element of the old west that interested you,” Debbie said looking at her husband in a new light.

“I was in law enforcement for most of my life. We all have our fascinations,” Carl stated.

“I like Elvis, and you like Jesse…” Debbie sang to the tune Let’s Call the Whole Thing off.

“And we’re not calling the whole thing off,” Carl laughed.

“You bet your ass we’re not,” Debbie crowed giving Carl a big hug.

“Can you imagine what Jesse’s life must have been like, running from the law, robbing and terrorizing, him and his gang?”

“Makes me think of Brian fucking Kinney for some reason,” Debbie said suddenly.

“Brian?”

“He’s always been a bit of an outlaw, living by his own rules, and fuck society.”

“Hm, I suppose, but I don’t see Brian as a criminal,” Carl mused.

“You didn’t know him way back when.”

“But I know him now and I would see him as more of a Wyatt Earp than a Jesse James.”

“What’s the difference?” Debbie asked.

“Wyatt was a sheriff in the old west, not an outlaw like Jesse.”

“Brian is a bit of an enforcer,” Debbie chuckled.

“My thoughts exactly.”

“Are we done here?” Debbie asked as they returned to the entrance to the house.

“I think so.”

“So what famous person are we going to investigate next?” Debbie asked as they exited the building.

“I’ll have to think about that,” Carl said.

“Maybe we should find one of those internet cafes and check out what famous people are buried around here.”

“I think they have brochures that we can look at.”

“Let’s go see what we can find.”

Debbie slid her hand into Carl’s and they walked along the street together.



*****



“Seth, look at these colors,” Jennifer exclaimed as they looked at some of the clothes in the window of a shop in Oranjestad, the capital of Aruba. They had decided to leave their resort and spend the day in town. “I wonder if we could get a little outfit for Bree and one for Taylor.”

“I’m sure we’ll be able to find something,” Seth replied.

Jennifer smiled at her husband as they walked along hand in hand. “It’s lovely to have you come shopping with me. Craig would always tell me to go by myself. Shopping is so much more fun when you can share it with someone.”

“And dish about what’s pretty and what’s ugly and what people look like?”

“You’re sure you’re really a man?” Jennifer asked raising a brow at Seth’s unexpected comment.

“I thought I proved that to you every night since we’ve been here,” Seth chuckled.

“And a couple of afternoons, if my memory is correct,” Jennifer agreed.

Seth blushed. “Being alone for so many years, I had to do my own shopping. I never really minded it. I like to think I got quite good at it too. And you’re right, it’s a lot more fun doing this with you than by myself.”

“Let’s go in here,” Jennifer said. “They have kids’ clothes in the window.”

When they left the shop some time later, Jennifer had found the perfect outfits for her grandchildren. They walked across the square to a little restaurant where they could sit down and have a drink and some lunch. The bright Caribbean sun reflected off the colorful buildings in the historic Dutch capital city. They could look out at the tall multi-colored houses. There were lots of carved wooden doors and the traditional Dutch tiles on all the buildings.

“It’s so beautiful here,” Jennifer said with a sigh.

“Yes, it is. You’ve enjoyed your honeymoon?” Seth asked.

“I don’t want to leave. Everything has been wonderful.”

Seth smiled warmly at his wife. “For me too.”

“Maybe we should just stay here, and live in bliss,” Jennifer suggested.

“Ah, bliss, what a lovely word!”

“And that’s exactly how I feel.”

Seth reached across the small table and took Jennifer’s hand. “The day I met you I was the luckiest man in the universe … and the day I married you I became the happiest man in the universe.”

“You sure know how to sweet talk a girl, Seth Harris,” Jennifer said with another brilliant smile.

“Finish your drink and then let’s go over to that jewelry shop across the plaza.”

“Okay,” Jennifer agreed as she sipped the last of her fruity drink. “Are you looking for something special?”

“Very special.”

When they came out of the shop a while later, Jennifer was wearing a new gold bracelet that her new husband had just purchased for his brand new wife.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 6




“Seth.”

“Yes, my darling.”

“Do you like it here?” The honeymooning couple having returned from town, took a quick shower together and decided to have a nap before deciding on dinner. Jennifer was comfortably ensconced in her husband’s arms.

“I love it here,” Seth replied giving her a little squeeze.

Jennifer giggled like a schoolgirl. “No, silly, I mean here, in Aruba.”





“Yes, I like it here very much. It’s warm, no humidity to speak of, the people are friendly and I don’t have to worry about an exchange rate. I’d come back here again. Why do you ask?”

“What would you say to a time share?”

“You mean us, buying a time share here?”

“No, Toronto. Of course here. We can vacation here anytime we wish and rent it out. It’s a wonderful investment. Don’t you like the idea?”

“I love the idea.”

“Then why the perplexed look?” Jennifer asked as she turned in Seth’s arms to see his face.

“The thought never occurred to me to go off and vacation somewhere.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Sweetheart, I’ve been alone for a very long time. Going on a vacation has always meant taking a few days off to work on my apartment or something like that. Other than our trips to Edna’s Treasures, I haven’t really been away from home or office.”

“But you’re not opposed to it?”

“Not at all. I guess I had no one special in my life to share it with.”

“I hope that’s changed.”

“You know it has. Now this is going to sound like a silly question but who would we rent the time share to? I really don’t like the thought of strangers staying in our bed.”

“Seth, honey, you just married a woman who happens to have hundreds in her extended family. I think we can find someone to take advantage of it. Maybe even Sharon and Owen Brenner might want to rent from us,” Jennifer chuckled.

“Okay, you’ve convinced me. So what do we do first?”

“First, we continue our nap then we shower...”

“Again.”

“Again,” Jennifer laughed. “And then we go have dinner. We’ll have to wait for Monday to conduct any business down here.”

“Monday is soon enough for me,” Seth murmured as he rolled himself atop Jennifer. He marveled at how well their bodies seemed to fit together. His wife was a willing and generous lover. “I love you, Mrs. Harris.”

“I love you, Mr. Harris.”



*****



“Oh my fucking god!” Emmett screamed as he was tackled as soon as he entered the apartment he shared with Drew. As soon as the door was closed Drew had Emmett pinned up against it. He thoroughly kissed his lover, rutting his hard body and hard cock against Emmett. “Mr. Boyd,” Emmett panted, “whatever do you mean to do with me?”

“I mean to fuck you into unconsciousness,” Drew growled into Emmett’s ear as he turned the man around to face the door. Emmett’s ass twitched in anticipation. Sometimes it paid off being a nelly bottom queen.

“Then my ass is yours,” Emmett drawled low and sultry. Drew was quick with the preliminaries and in moments he was balls deep within Emmett. “Oh my fucking god!” was the last coherent thought Emmett had for the rest of the evening.



*****



“Hey, Mol, how long you been sitting out here?” Justin asked. Molly had taken Taylor outside into the garden. They strolled quietly then took the path toward the stream. The current was still very strong from winter melt-off and the stream bank was rather swollen with water, however, the path to the big rock was clear. Molly was sitting on it holding her baby.

“Not sure. Does Owen need me?”

“No, we were just wondering where you got to.”

“It’s so peaceful out here,” Molly said wistfully. “I understand why you all love it.”

“Molly, are you okay?” Justin had never seen his sister quite like this.

“I’m fine, really,” Molly reassured her brother. “You’ve helped me and Taylor so much. I don’t know how to repay you.”

“Repay me? Molly, you’re my sister, I love you. I’d do anything for you. I know I haven’t always been the best brother...”

“That was so long ago and I’m so over it. You are the best older brother a little sister could ever ask for. Even if you are a pain in the ass.” Brother and sister laughed.

“The baby still asleep?” Justin asked as he peered down into the receiving blanket.

“Yes, still sleeping and very happy too. I owe it all to you, Claire and that wonderful man of yours, and if you ever tell him I said that I will sic Debbie on you.”

“My lips are sealed, I promise.”

“Jus, what’s it like?” Molly asked softly.

“What’s what like?”

“Being loved by Brian.”

“Physically or emotionally?”

“Either one, both.”

“He makes me feel safe, like there’s nothing in this world that I can’t do when he’s around. He accepts me just as I am and he helps me to grow. You know how much he supports my art.” Molly nodded; she did indeed know. “And physically, he completes me. I can’t explain it anymore than that. You’re not a gay man so whatever I say won’t make sense to you. But when we fuck or make love it’s like we’re whole. I never want to be disconnected from him.”

“Does he let you, you know?” Molly asked. Her face heated up and turned a bright shade of red. Justin’s face turned a similar color.

“Yeah, he does and a lot more than anyone knows about,” Justin whispered. “And if you tell anyone I’ll sic Debbie and Mom on you.”

“What’s that like?”

“Heaven,” Justin replied. Before Molly could ask any more questions the sky began to darken and the wind picked up. “Molly, a thunderstorm is coming. We need to get back to the cottage.”

Justin took Taylor so that Molly could get down off the rock easier. They quickly walked back to the cottage.



*****



“Wow, where did this storm pop up from?” Molly asked. The family turned their collective heads toward John.

It was dinnertime and the storm was still raging on outside. The wind had died down but it was still teeming. And every once in a while they heard a clap of thunder.

“Don’t look at me,” John grumbled. “I didn’t make it rain.”

“No, but you usually know when it’s going to rain,” Brian said matter-of-factly.

“And he did,” Bobby said sticking up for his spouse. John smiled. “He said, ‘Ooo, I think it’s going to rain,’ as a rain drop hit him in his eye.” The family laughed.

“Har, har. Laugh it up, people. At least I do better than the weatherman,” John stated.

“Yes, you do Unca John. You always know when the bad weather’s coming.” Bree defended her beloved uncle.

“Thank you, Princess. I knew you loved me.” John pouted.

“Awwww,” the family said collectively.

“Cretins. Just you wait until the next storm. Maybe I won’t warn you. In the meantime, who’s for dessert?” All hands were up. “Good, you all can sort it out then,” John dismissed them all as his family groaned. Bobby, Brian and Justin got up to clear the table then sort out dessert as ordered. Owen helped the little ones who were going to have cookies and watch a little TV.

“Well, little lady,” John addressed Molly, “how are you and the baby getting along?”

“Fine. So much better now. I can’t thank you or Claire or all of you enough. It’s like night and day. Sometimes, I...”

“What is it?”

“John, do you think...if I asked Brian...oh, I...fuck!”

John looked at Molly who was trying to spit out whatever was on her mind but it wasn’t getting out. “Molly, you like it out here, don’t you?” John had a clue.

“Yes, I do. I love living in the city, but right now I wish I had some place like this to come to.”

“Even when it storms?”

“Especially when it storms.”

“And Owen?”

“What about him?”

“Have you discussed this with him? Does he know how you feel?”

“No, I’ve only just discovered it myself.”

“Then this is what I propose. You talk to your husband and I’ll talk to my brother. I’m sure we can arrive at an agreement.” At that point Molly jumped up from her seat to give John a big hug.

“I love you Kinney men,” she whispered in John’s ear then kissed his cheek. Just then Taylor woke up and demanded attention. Molly went to take care of her baby.

“What was that all about, brother dearest?” Brian asked as he came into the porch laden with cake and pie. He had caught the hug.

“I think we may get some new neighbors,” John said as he dipped his pinky into the cake’s icing for a taste. Brian said nothing but cocked his head and arched a brow.



*****



“Oh my, you are so masterful,” Emmett purred. He was currently bent over the back of their sofa, deliciously being plowed by his lover.

“You inspire me,” Drew grunted as he playfully smacked Emmett’s ass.

“I aim to please,” Emmett shrieked as Drew’s cock raked over his prostate.

“My aim is pretty pleasing too,” Drew crowed as he hit Emmett’s sweet spot time and time again. Emmett saw stars as he passed out.



*****



“Where the hell is this place?” Carl griped.

“On the outskirts of Topeka is all I know,” Debbie replied.

“Couldn’t you have gotten a map?”

“If you would stop someplace we could ask,” Debbie retorted.

“I thought you knew where we were going.”

“I sort of do.”

Carl snorted. “Sure doesn’t seem like it.”

“Pull into that fucking gas station up ahead,” Debbie ordered.

Carl let out a long breath and drove the Winnebago into the Shell station that Debbie indicated. He decided he might as well fill it up, since they always seemed to need gas. “Go ask for directions and I’ll fill this behemoth,” Carl stated.

Debbie got out of the vehicle and walked into the building. After a brief talk with a couple of people inside she returned with a smile.

“So where is this thing?” Carl asked as he put his credit card away and got back in the Winnebago.

“Less than ten miles,” Debbie said smugly.

“Okay.”

“Turn right and keep going the direction we were going.”

Carl did as directed. Soon they pulled into a long lane that led to what looked like a farmhouse. “We’re here,” Carl said as he pulled the RV to the side of the lane and turned off the engine. “Wherever this may be.”

As they climbed out of the RV, the door of the house opened and a man came walking over to them. “Howdy, folks,” he said.

“Good afternoon,” Debbie said sizing up the man.

“Come to see Truckhenge?” he asked.

“Yes, are you the one who built it?”

“I am. My name’s Ron Lessman and it was my idea to build Truckhenge. If you’ll follow me, I’ll take you out to the structure.”

“How did you decide to build it?” Carl asked as they walked along.

“It’s kind of a long story, but I’ll give you the short version. It’s based on Carhenge over in Nebraska, which of course, is based on Stonehenge across the pond.” Carl and Debbie nodded. “I never thought about building no such thing until the local government got on my case about removing some of the old vehicles I had on the property. They seemed to want to thwart whatever I tried to do.”

“So you stuck it to them good,” Debbie said with an admiring glint in her eye. She loved people who stood up to authority and could make something out of nothing.

“I guess some people would say that’s what I did, but I never intended to do that … at first. I just wanted them to leave me alone. After the floods many years ago, our farm was ruined and we had to do something to survive. I started a fishing business on the property and then the county told me I couldn’t have my old buses and cars on the site. I had to ‘pick up’ my trucks. So I picked them up and buried them nose down,” Ron chuckled.

“How are they anchored?” Carl asked as they walked along the line of megaliths created by the derelict trucks and buses.


 



“There’s several tons of concrete inside each vehicle,” Ron explained.

“I love the slogans,” Debbie laughed, as she scanned the various words painted on the vehicles. She read several of the slogans aloud: Rise Up, Freedum Isn't Lost, Truth

“I believe in personal freedom,” Ron said. “They tried to threaten me and fine me, but no government is telling me what to do.”

“Did the county back off?” Carl asked.

“Finally … my Truckhenge caught the fancy of the Shawnee County Preservation Association, which awarded me a Kaw Region Art Park marker in 2006. That gave me some repectablility,” Ron laughed. “Like I want their approval.”

“Good for you,” Debbie said. “I read about your project in one of the local tourist brochures. I just had to come see it.”

“Well, thank you very much for coming to visit,” Ron said. “Feel free to wander through the vehicles, and don’t forget to stop by the beer bottle tree over there,” Ron pointed. “If the winds right, it hums.”

“I like it,” Debbie said with a big smile. She headed over to have a closer look at the tree.

“That’s quite a woman you’ve got there,” Ron said to Carl.

“She’s a force to be reckoned with.”

“Her idea to come here?”

“Yeah,” Carl said. “She’s a fighter. She stands up for what she believes in.”

“I can identify with that,” Ron responded. “You’re a lucky man.”

“I surely am.”

“Have a good trip wherever the road may take you,” Ron said sincerely.

“Thanks,” Carl replied. “I’m sure we will. Don’t you charge for people looking at your Henge?”

“There’s a donation box out near where you parked. Contribute something if you want to.”

“We will,” Carl said as he shook Ron’s hand before going to join Debbie.

Some time later Carl and Debbie were back in the Winnebago heading towards an RV campground that wasn’t too far away. They had both found their latest stop very interesting.

“I enjoyed seeing Truckhenge,” Debbie said thoughtfully.

“I have to say I did too,” Carl agreed with a smile.

“Maybe we could get Brian to let us make one of these out near Edna’s Treasures,” Debbie laughed.

“Brian would have apoplexy if you suggested any such thing.”

“I know, but I think seeing his reaction would be worth the price of admission.”

“You might be right about that,” Carl laughed. “His queen outs are legendary.” The two shared a hearty laugh at Brian’s expense as they continued their journey.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 7





“Fuck!” Molly said.

“What is it, sweetheart?” Owen asked.

Taylor was sleeping and Molly was relaxing on the chaise in the sun porch. Now that the baby was sleeping and everything seemed to be returning to normal, Molly had decided to check her messages. She held her cell phone in her hand.

“My father left five messages,” Molly said. “He sounds pissed in the last few.”

“Shit! We should have told him we were coming out here.”

“We didn’t tell anybody. Neither of us was thinking straight.”

“We were so tired and frustrated. I never thought about what the grandparents might think. You better call him.”

“I guess I should,” Molly agreed, but she knew she wasn’t looking forward to what her father might say when he found out where she was.

“Do it now,” Owen advised. “It won’t get any easier if you put it off.”

“I know you’re right,” Molly sighed, “but I really don’t want to get chewed out.”

“Hang up if he’s rude.”

Molly laughed. “Then he’ll come storming out here and cause more trouble.”

“Brian will kick his ass.”

“What about you?” Molly giggled. “You want Brian to do your dirty work for you?”

“That would be nice.”

Molly shook her head. “Here goes nothing,” she said as she punched in the numbers.

“Hello?”

“Dad, it’s Molly.”

“Molly, where the fuck are you? I’ve been calling and calling. Is something wrong with you or the baby?”

“I’m okay, Dad, and Taylor’s fine.”

“Why didn’t you answer your phone?” Craig demanded.

“The baby wouldn’t sleep and I was trying to breastfeed and Taylor was hungry all the time, and Owen and I were exhausted, and I didn’t know what to do,” Molly said, her voice hitching as the memory of those first few days with her newborn all came to the surface once again.

“Why didn’t you call me?” Craig asked. “Susan and I could have helped.”

“I didn’t know what to do, Daddy,” Molly admitted in her little girl voice.

“So, where are you? I tried the apartment again this morning and there was no answer.”

“I’m at Justin’s.”

“Justin’s!” Craig roared. “What the hell are you doing out there?”

“Justin and Brian and Claire, and everyone, have helped me a lot,” Molly said. “I think Owen and I and our child are just about ready to go back home.”

“Molly, I don’t like you taking my grandson out there, especially without telling me.”

Molly drew in a breath as she felt her blood pressure rise. “Dad,” she said firmly. “I don’t have to ask you about what I can or cannot do. I made the decision to come here, and it was the right decision for me and my family.”

Craig was about to yell at his daughter when her words registered in his brain. Molly was an adult. She didn’t have to answer to him. And he certainly didn’t totally want to alienate her. “I … I’m sorry, Molly. I shouldn’t have got so excited, but I was worried. You’re sure you’re all right?”

“We’re all fine,” Molly replied. “And when we get back home, I’ll call, and you and Susan can come over and see Taylor.”

“Is he getting bigger?” Craig remembered the little bundle he had held the day after Taylor was born.

“Very much,” Molly said with a smile. “I’m sorry I worried you.”

“You take care of yourself and that baby. I’ll see you soon.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Molly said. “Bye.” She flipped her phone closed and leaned back on the chaise.

“How did it go?” Owen asked as he brought her a glass of iced tea from the kitchen.

“It could have been worse,” Molly sighed.

Owen shook his head. “It’s hard enough dealing with the baby without all this other family shit,” he observed.

“And my mother isn’t even here,” Molly replied as she sipped her tea.

“Do you think we could just stay here and have Brian tell them all to go away?” Owen asked.

“I’ve been considering asking him that.”

Owen leaned over and kissed her cheek. “I love you, Mol. Never forget that.”

“I won’t,” she said with a small sigh as she leaned back and closed her eyes.



*****



“Brian, it’s Drew,” Drew whispered into his phone.

“I kinda figured that when my caller ID read, Drew,” Brian snarked also in a whisper. “And why are we whispering?”

“I don’t want Emm to hear us,” Drew continued to whisper into his phone. “I just fucked him into oblivion. I don’t want to wake him.”

“Drew, far be it for me to criticize; however, if you’re on your cell phone, why don’t you just walk outside?”

“DOH!” Drew whispered a la Homer Simpson. Brian heard some shuffling, a door opening and closing, then another and then the sound of traffic. “I’m outside,” Drew said in a normal voice.

“Well good for you! I thought all those tackles had finally gotten to your brain. Now to what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I think he’s getting suspicious.”

“Suspicious of what?”

“Of us.”

“Us? What us? There is no us! There’s you and the fairy godmother from hell and there’s me with my perpetual stalker. See, no room for us!”

“Brian, calm down. I think he overheard us talking and someone told him that they saw you with me at the stadium. You know he’s a little insecure.”

“Why? You love him, any fool can see that.”

“He’s no fool. Brian, I wanted to surprise him but I think I’m going to have to tell him. I don’t want him to learn about it the hard way.”

“Drewsie, honey, why are you out here?” Emmett asked as he opened the main door to the apartment house. He was visibly upset and very perplexed.

“Oh shit,” Drew jumped at Emmett’s voice.

“It’s been nice, gotta go,” Brian said quickly then hung up. “Well fuck me!” he exclaimed as he stared at the cell phone in his hand.

“Love to, Bri,” Justin said with a grin as he came into the attic office. “What’s going on?”

“I think our favorite fairy godmother is going to hear about his surprise a little earlier than intended. Drew thinks that Emm thinks we’re fucking.”

“Of course we’re fucking. We fuck every night, twice on Sundays,” Justin teased.

“No, my sweet little blond. Emmett thinks that Drew and I are fucking.”

“Ooohhh. I’d hate to be you if that were really the case. No more popovers, no more pear and blue cheese canapés and no more of his barging in at the crack of dawn. Wait, that might not be so bad,” Justin chuckled.

“Let’s change the subject, Sunshine. When are the breeders leaving? Their essence is invading my space.”

“Have a craving for snatch?”

“Bite your tongue! It’s time to cut the cord, Justin. They need to go home.”

“Bri, I think Molly wants to live here.”

“Here!” Brian’s eyes grew wide.

“Not right here but here like next door.”

“Does Rachel know?” Brian snarked.

“Can it, Kinney. I think Molly is seriously considering asking you about buying a plot of land to build her own cottage. She seems to be preoccupied about the possibility.”

“Yes, I know. John mentioned it the day of the storm. I guess we should call a family meeting to discuss it.”

“Brian, if Molly really wanted a cottage...”

“Then she’ll have one, Sunshine. But on the other side of the lane. Being so close to hets...” Brian gave a mock shiver. “…gives me the creeps.”

Brian was favored by his husband’s sunshine smile. “I’m so onto you!” Justin laughed as he hugged his man and planted a searing kiss on Brian’s lips. “I love you, Brian.”

“I know.”



*****


“Drewsie, honey?” Emmett asked as they shut the door to their apartment.

“Now, Emm, it’s not what you think.”

“And what do I think?”

“I don’t know. What do you think?”

“I think that my soon to be ex-lover is fucking my soon to be ex-best friend.”

“NO! No, no, no! NO! There’s no ex’s anywhere and no fucking. Well there is fucking...” Emmett gasped. “NO! I mean we’re fucking, you and me and Brian is fucking Justin. No other fucking going on, I mean there’s fucking going on but not the way you think....and Baby, please. I love you! There’s been no one else but you since we got back together, I swear.”

“So what’s with the ‘secret agent man’ act?”

“Baby, I wanted to surprise you,” Drew said contritely.

“Well, consider me surprised. Now tell me what you’re up to,” Emmett demanded.

An hour later. “Touchdown!” Emmett cried out as he came deep within his lover.

“I love you, Emmett Honeycutt,” Drew purred.

“Love you too, honey,” Emmett cooed as the sated lovers cuddled then went to sleep.



*****



“We meet again,” Jamie said with a smile. She had gone to the gallery to view Justin’s exhibit.

“Is this your first time here since his show opened?” Lindsay asked.

“No, but I don’t normally come in when you’re here. I love his work. He makes me feel, you know what I mean?”

“Yes, I do. What do you think about the Fractal movie?”

“Ingenious and very original. The colors are amazing. He’s so young and so talented.”

“Do you know him?”

“A little. He visits the institute regularly and I know he donates. Several kids have been able to get an education through his scholarships.”

“He always finds a way to give back to his community.”

“I’ve never understood why. PIFA kicked his ass out.”

“Yes, they did and then he came back to finish. PIFA had a change of heart when Stockwell crashed and burned. But that was a long time ago. Did you bring your portfolio?” Lindsay batted her lashes. Jamie more than obliged.

*****

The family at the cottage had assembled in Brian and Justin’s living room. Taylor was quietly amused in the baby carrier as Molly and Owen put forth their proposal.

“Owen and I would like to know if you guys would consider selling us a small plot of your land. And if you say yes, John, would you consider designing us a cottage?” Molly asked with hope in her voice.

“What do you think about all of this?” Brian narrowed his gaze on Owen.

“Whatever Molly wants...”

“That’s not what I asked. We have room for a dozen more cottages, what makes you think you want to live here?”

“We don’t,” Owen answered honestly. “One day I will be taking over Brenner Industries; I need to be in Pittsburgh. And Molly wants to go back to work when her leave is up. However,” Owen began and with a little more authority in his voice, “we both like the peacefulness here. You have time to think and re-evaluate what’s important. Sometimes in the city, with so many people pulling on us, we don’t have the time for the quiet, or to think clearly. If we did then maybe our crisis wouldn’t have gotten so out of control. Or maybe we would have called for help sooner. I don’t have all the answers. What I do know is that we both love it up here and would like a small getaway place where we can breathe and regroup.”

“Nicely said,” Brian said proudly. “I knew Molly had picked herself a good man. You just proved it. Well, brother dearest, think you can muster up a little getaway for the children?” Brian said with a smirk.

“I believe I have just the getaway they need,” John crowed.

“Well then, I call this meeting adjourned. We’ll reconvene when the plans are drawn and the lawyer here can submit the details. Who’s up for ice cream?”

Everyone laughed as all hands went up. Edna’s Treasures Lane was getting some new neighbors.



*****



“Carl,” Debbie began.

“Yes, dear.”

“What do you think about heading to Chicago and then going back home?”

Carl frowned and took a sip of his coffee. They were sitting in lawn chairs outside the Winnebago, enjoying the morning sun. The campground where they had parked for the night was very quiet and very pleasant.

”Aren’t you enjoying the trip anymore?” Carl asked.

“I am, but I also feel a little … homesick,” Debbie admitted.

“We were going to be gone for a month,” Carl reminded her.

“I know, but it’s already two weeks and if we go to the west coast, it’s going to take more than a month to go there and back.”

“True,” Carl said thoughtfully. “So, what do you want to do?”

“As I said, if we went to Chicago, which I’d really like to see, then we could turn around and head back to Pittsburgh. That would get us back in just under a month.”

“Not if you keep finding weird and wonderful places to stop,” Carl laughed.

“We have seen some interesting sites,” Debbie chuckled.

“That we have. They’re actually the best part of the trip. That, and being with you.”

Debbie beamed at her husband. “You’re such a smooth talker, Carl Horvath.”

“Of course I am. All those years interviewing criminals trained me well.” They both laughed.

Then Debbie grew serious. “I miss Michael and JR and Ben…”

“And Brian and Justin and Hunter and Nick…”

“Okay, okay,” Debbie chuckled, “I miss them all.”

“I know you do, and truth be told, I miss them too.”

“So, should we head to Chicago and then … home?”

“I like the sound of that plan,” Carl agreed.

“Me too.”

“So, let’s get this show on the road.”

Carl stood and closed his lawn chair. It was time to hit the road.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 8





“Are you happy, my dear?” Seth asked as he reached across the table to take Jennifer’s hand in his.

“Very,” Jennifer said with a wistful sigh.

“You looked very thoughtful … far away.”

“Sorry,” Jennifer apologized. “I was thinking that we only have a couple more days here before we have to leave.”

“Pittsburgh will be beautiful when we get back. All the trees will have their leaves and there will be a million shades of green,” Seth said softly.

Jennifer studied her new husband. “That was beautiful, Seth. Most men wouldn’t notice all the shades of green.”

“When you’re alone for a long time, you start to notice things that you wouldn’t otherwise.”

Jennifer shook her head. “I’m sure there are a lot of men that could be alone forever and wouldn’t notice the color of the leaves at all.”

Seth stared into Jennifer’s eyes. “Perhaps you’re right,” he admitted softly.

“And that’s just part of what makes you so special, Seth Harris. I am such a lucky woman.”

“I’m glad you still think so,” Seth said as he gave Jennifer’s hand a little squeeze. “This has been a wonderful two weeks.”

“It’s not over yet,” Jennifer told him. “We still have a couple more days.”

“And what would you like to do to fill those days?”

“Don’t we see the time share people this afternoon?”

“Yes, we do, at two.”

“I think buying into the time share will be perfect. We’ll be able to come here and have our honeymoon over and over again,” Jennifer said with a big smile. She sipped her coffee having enjoyed the late breakfast they had just finished.

“I’m pleased you think our honeymoon is worth repeating.”

“Of course it is, silly,” Jennifer chuckled. “It has been perfect; I hope you know that.”

“Hm, perfection is hard to live up to.”

“Not for you, Mr. Harris. This bracelet is just one of the ways that you have made it perfect.” Jennifer played with the gold bracelet that she had not taken off since Seth had bought it for her. “I love it.”

“I’m glad you do,” Seth said with a smile. “I love you so much, Jennifer.”

The seriousness in Seth’s tone made Jennifer look into his eyes again. “If I didn’t already know that with every fiber of my being, everything you’ve done here in Aruba would certainly have convinced me.”


 




“Then my work here is done,” Seth laughed, pushing back his chair.

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?” Jennifer asked standing up too.

“You do realize that I will not be this romantic everyday, when we get back home.”

“You won’t?” Jennifer asked with mock horror. “I’ve totally come to expect it.”

“Well, Mrs. Harris, we may have a rocky road ahead then,” Seth said shaking his head.

“I’ll settle for romantic a few times a month,” Jennifer advised him.

“You’re way too easy to please.”

“It’s one of my better qualities,” Jennifer laughed as they walked out of the restaurant.

“You have many, many fine qualities, and I don’t want you to ever forget that.”

“Thank you, kind sir, I will try to remember that.”

“What would you like to do with this beautiful morning?” Seth asked, as they entered the lobby of the hotel.

“This beautiful morning is mostly gone.”

“True, but we can still fit something in.”

“I vote for lying on the beach.”

“Sounds good,” Seth said, but I need to go talk to the concierge for a minute.”

“You do? What about?”

“It’s a surprise.”

Jennifer smiled. “I’ve grown to love your surprises.”

“Then I’ll have to keep you guessing.”

Jennifer chuckled and smiled at her husband. “I’m so glad I found you, darling man.”

“And I still can’t believe I found you.”

“Enough,” Jennifer declared, “or I’m going to need another nap.” She winked at her husband.

Seth laughed heartily. “Why don’t you go put on your swimsuit and I’ll have a quick word with the concierge and meet you in our room.”

“Okay, but don’t be too long.”

“I won’t,” Seth replied as he watched her walk over to the elevator to go up to their room. When she stepped into the car, he hurried over to the concierge desk to get some advice on the best restaurant for a romantic candlelit dinner.



*****



“So Molly, Owen and the baby are back home?” Debbie asked Brian on her regularly scheduled ‘call-in.’

As promised, Debbie and Carl called Brian daily to regale them with their day’s events. Brian didn’t give a rat’s ass about what the Winnebago traveling duo were up to or how many gold plated toilets there were in Graceland. Brian just wanted to be reassured that his ‘Maw and Paw’ were safe.

Molly and her family had gone back home. Brian decided to spend the day at Kinnetik.

“Yes, thank the gods! My house is my own again. Any longer and I would have needed a vacation or a move back to the loft.”

“I know you, kiddo, you loved every minute of it. But is Molly feeling any better about the whole breast versus bottle thing?”

“Fuck, Deb, no more about tits, okay? The only nipples I want to know about are Justin’s. Now, what’s this I hear about you coming home? The whole purpose of getting that mansion on wheels is for you and the big guy to tour this vast country of ours in style and comfort. You’ve been gone for what, two minutes? And already you’re driving back?”

“You sound angry, kiddo.”

“What gives you that impression?” Brian asked as he scowled at the phone.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe the fact that I need gloves to hold the phone and the temperature outside reads 72.”

“Maw...”

“Sweetheart, I miss my family,” Debbie whined.

“And we miss you but that doesn’t mean you have to cut your vacation short. We’re all fine here. Your daily phone calls help.”

“About that. These cell phones you bought us, just what kind of plan did you get?” Debbie asked suspiciously.

“The type that allows the Earth Mother of Liberty to call any one of her children at any time of the day. That plan. Are you going to argue with me about that too?”

“No, honey.” Debbie could hear the determination in Brian’s voice. She also knew there was no arguing with Brian Kinney. He was a rock once his mind was made up.

“Where are you?” Brian asked after a moment. His voice had softened a bit.

“Just outside of Chicago. Carl has a friend out here who just retired from the force. They’re at the local cop bar exchanging war stories.”

“He left you all alone?” Brian’s eyebrows had risen into his hairline.

“Yes, honey, and I can take care of myself. But my Carl arranged for me to spend the day at a spa.”

“Getting your wig re-strung?” Brian snarked.

“As a matter of fact, I just got me a new one!” Debbie answered proudly and they both laughed.

“I love you, Maw. And I do miss you but I want you and your old man to do the things you never got to do. Please, Deb, it’s important to me.” Brian couldn’t help the hitch in his voice.

“All right, kiddo. I’ll let my old man know about the change of plans. Who knows, maybe we’ll make a right turn somewhere and visit the Grand Canyon or Yellowstone before it blows up.”

“You do that, Maw. Just remember, no accepting used picnic baskets from bears wearing a hat and a tie, and call me every day. I live vicariously through you.”

“Huh, that’s what we all said about you! And since when did you get so good at using guilt? I love you, sweetheart.”

“I learned from the master. Love you too, Deb.” Brian was wearing a smile when he cut the connection. Then he immediately hit number two on his speed dial.

“Hey, Bri!”

“Hey, Mikey, mission accomplished.”

“Used the voice on her?”

“Yup!”

“And it worked?”

“Big time.”

“So where are they going to now?”

“Deb mentioned something about the Grand Canyon.”

“Wow, that’s deep!” Michael made a feeble attempt at a joke.

“And that sucked, Mikey.” Brian was about to go on when a loud disturbance in the outer office got his attention. “Um, I gotta go, Mikey. Later.”

“Later, Bri.”

“I know he’s in there. YOU CAN’T HIDE FROM ME, BRIAN KINNEY!”

Emmett cut through Kinnetik like a linebacker. Drew was hot on his heels trying to calm the man down, but Emmett wasn’t having any of it. Even Ted got sidelined in the melee.

“Now, Emm, remember he’s your friend and neighbor,” Teddy stammered trying to get in front of his incensed friend to protect his boss and friend.

“Teddy, honey, if you know what’s good for you, you will step aside. I don’t want you to get hurt,” Emmett said calmly.

“Baby, there’s no need for violence,” Drew began but was cut off by his lover’s raised hand.

Brian steeled himself for the worst as Emmett, wearing a hot pink and fuchsia angora sleeveless sweater, barged into his office.

“There you are you, you...” Emmett pushed the ad exec back from his desk. Grabbing Brian by his Armani lapels, Emmett lifted him out of his chair, hugged him close then planted a big wet kiss on Brian’s lips with just a hint of tongue for effect. Then gently lowering the stunned businessman back into his chair, Emmett thanked Brian profusely while smoothing down any wrinkles before exiting the office. Drew thought it wise to quietly follow his vision in pink. They were on their way to the airport to catch the plane that would take them to meet their cruise ship.

Ted and Cynthia very wisely left Brian’s office to retire to the privacy of their own respective offices before laughing their asses off.

Brian sat back, desperate to regain control as he spent the rest of the afternoon spitting out pink angora.



*****



“Deb, this is Chuck, my first partner before he moved out here, and his wife Denise.” Carl and Debbie had met up with Carl’s friend at the local steakhouse to enjoy dinner and continue to catch up on old times. The men decided to take their wives with them. Carl was making the introductions just outside the restaurant.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Debbie said as she shook hands. “Hope this place is good. I’m in the mood for a nice thick hunk of meat,” Debbie quipped. Carl tried not to chuckle at Debbie’s turn of phrase. After years of working at the diner, Debbie couldn’t help the sexual innuendos. It was second nature to her. And while Carl still had a tendency to talk like a cop, after years of managing Babylon, he was quite used to hearing sexual innuendo.

“This restaurant comes highly recommended,” Denise stated genteelly.

“Shall we go in?” Chuck asked as he held the door for his wife and friends.



*****



“So let me get this straight, this Kinney character was responsible for the downfall of Stockwell and then later when you retired, you went to work for him?” Chuck asked, rather dumbstruck at the idea. Chuck wasn’t really homophobic but he was very conservative. His wife was looking rather bilious.

“You work in a gay restaurant?” Denise asked, addressing Debbie. “And what do you serve at a gay restaurant?” Denise whispered.

“It’s a diner and it’s not gay, just the clientele. And we serve what any other diner in this country serves. But I try to push the greens and keep the protein on the plates. We already have enough fruit and nuts to go around.” Debbie and Carl cracked up.

Seeing a bit of disapproval in their hosts’ eyes, Debbie and Carl calmed down. Carl waved over the waiter to order another round of drinks.

“Would you like to see pictures of our kids and grandchildren?” Debbie asked as a peace offering. Denise smiled and immediately went for her purse that was stuffed with her own family’s pictures. “But before I take them out, you have to understand. My son is gay as are the majority of our whole extended family. If this offends you then I’ll say good night now and take my steak to go.”

Carl patted Debbie’s hand as a show of support.

“Debbie, Carl, I’m not offended but you must understand that I come from a very conservative family, and although Chuck was exposed to many lifestyles in the city, I was not. But children are children. I’d be very happy to see photos of your family and proud to show you ours,” Denise explained. Chuck nodded in agreement.

Carl smiled at his wife.

Debbie and Denise got better acquainted over the ribeye and their family photos.

“You’re telling me that this handsome man is gay?” Denise asked as she looked at a picture of Brian holding baby Gus. Deb then slid over a picture of Brian holding baby Bree. “Oh my, he only gets better with age, doesn’t he?” Denise noted the date stamp in the corner of the photo.

Chuck was doing his best not to show jealousy. “Not to worry, Chuck,” Carl reassured the man. “Brian Kinney gets that reaction from men and women everywhere. You get used to it.”

“I don’t know how you did it, Carl. I don’t think I could have put up with it for all those years.”

“I had no choice. I love my Debbie and she loves her family.”

“But aren’t you confused with all the different relationships?” Denise asked. She was having trouble getting the couples and their kids straight.

“Not really,” Debbie answered then rearranged the photos to show each couple. She even had a photo of Molly, Owen and Taylor.

“This young man…” Denise pointed to the picture of Justin. “Where have I seen him before?”

“This is Justin Taylor; he’s an artist,” Carl explained. “Maybe you saw his ‘Old Masters’ show. I believe it’s still here.”

“That’s it. Chuck and I went to a private viewing. The proceeds were for the Policemen’s Benevolent Fund. He was such a sweet young man.”

“Yes, he is and a little spitfire too.” Debbie and Carl then began to tell some of their own Brian and Justin stories.



*****



Later that night Brian and Justin were cuddling on their sofa in the living room. Briana was safely tucked in her bed. The cottage was quiet. And it was still cool enough at night to allow for a small fire. They were each sipping a brandy, warmed by the fine liquor, the fire and by their love.

“So Deb and Carl decided to keep traveling?”

“Yes.”

“How did you manage to convince her?” Justin turned in Brian’s arms to kiss Brian’s lips. Brian tasted of brandy, the roasted veal they had for dinner, the cherries they had for dessert and his own unique taste that Justin craved.

“Just used the same technique Debbie and Michael used on me over the years,” Brian replied, taking the glasses out of their hands so he could properly kiss and grope his lover.

“Guilt?” Justin chuckled against Brian’s lips.

“Yes.”

“I want you,” Justin purred as he ground his groin into Brian’s. Justin ran his fingers through Brian’s lush hair. “What’s this?” Justin murmured as he pulled a bit of pink fuzz out of Brian’s hair. Brian turned a lovely shade of red.

“Brian?” Justin asked pushing himself up so that he could see his mate’s face. “Got something you’d like to tell me?” Justin smiled smugly as he waited. Little did Brian know that Ted had spilled the beans hours before. “Bri, is this pink angora?” Justin teased.

It only took a second for Brian to realize that Justin was yanking his chain. It took only minutes more for Justin to be stripped, playfully spanked then expertly sucked off.

After a while Brian wriggled himself out from under Justin who had fallen asleep. He brought Justin a pair of sleep pants, scooting them up his gently snoring spouse. Brian turned off all the lights then snuggled back down next to Justin, throwing an afghan over them.

The lovers peacefully slept in their quiet cottage.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 9




“Is the baby asleep?” Owen asked.

“Yes, like a little angel,” Molly said with a smile as she sat down beside her husband on the sofa.

“Our beautiful baby.”

“We didn’t think so a week ago,” Molly reminded him.

“Taylor was beautiful even with no sleep.”

“We are very lucky.”

“Yes, Brian and Justin and Claire, and everyone was wonderful.”

“Are you really okay with the idea of building a cottage out there?” Molly asked, her face serious and her eyes shining with love. “If you really don’t want to do it, we don’t have to…”

“Molly, I understand what the cottage would mean to you, and I’ve actually been looking into our finances. I think we can keep this apartment for when we’re in the city and have the cottage for when we want some peace and quiet or to get away from…”

“Your mother?” Molly giggled.

Owen shook his head. “Well, I love my mother, but sometimes…”

“She becomes too much like your grandmother.”

Now it was Owen’s turn to giggle. “No one’s like my grandmother. Don’t ever let Sarah Kingsley hear you compare her to anyone else. She’s one of a kind.”

Molly laughed. “I was totally planning to go up to her and say, ‘Sharon is so much like you. You’re no longer one of a kind.’”

“You remember the withering looks you used to get when you were first introduced to her?”

“Back when she was sure I was after you for your money?” Molly winked at her husband.

“Exactly. You’d see those return in a heartbeat.”

“Ooh, I’m so scared.”

Owen shook his head. “We really should invite my grandmother over to spend a little time with the baby.”

“She might get spit-up on her suit. That would never do.”

“Molly…”

“I know. I’ll invite her tomorrow. I was just kidding.”

“I like having my old teasing and sarcastic Molly back,” Owen said as he gave his wife an affectionate squeeze.

“I like being back. I felt so…”

“Lost?”

“Yes, that’s it exactly. I was lost. I didn’t know what to do.”

“Sometimes it’s good having your enormous and crazy family around. They come in handy.”

“Like Brian and Justin with the baby, and Brian letting us buy the land out there…”

“And John designing the house.”

“They are an eclectic group,” Molly giggled.

“I love being here with you in our home,” Owen said softly.

“And our son sleeping peacefully in the bedroom.”

“It’s just about perfect,” Owen agreed.

“Just about perfect! It is perfect, and don’t you forget it, mister.”

Owen laughed and pulled Molly over on top of him. “I love you, Molly Brenner.”

“I love you right back.”



*****



“Seth, have you got any room in your suitcase?” Jennifer asked.

The newlyweds were trying to figure out how to pack everything they had bought in Aruba. They would leave the next day for their flight back to Pittsburgh.

“I don’t think I can squeeze in one more thing,” Seth sighed.

“Damn! What am I going to do?”

“I seem to remember Brian talking about how he shipped things from St. Augustine,” Seth suggested.

“Yeah, but that was within the U.S. Shipping from here might take weeks, and I want to give my gifts to people when we get there.”

“Then there’s only one solution,” Seth said with a smile.

“Oh, and what might that be?”

“We go into town and buy another suitcase just for our purchases.”

“Oh, good idea. Now, why didn’t I think of that?”

“That’s what you married me for,” Seth chuckled.

“Just one of your many fine attributes.”

“Let’s get ready and go into town for lunch,” Seth suggested.

“Okay, and maybe I could find another little outfit for Bree and Taylor,” Jennifer said as she thought about their excursion.

“Maybe we need to buy two suitcases,” Seth said as he shook his head.



*****



“Well, hello again,” Lindsay greeted Jamie as she strolled into the Bloom Gallery.

“Hi,” Jamie smiled brightly.

“No, classes today?”

“Not today. I was wondering what you thought of my portfolio.”

“I think your work is lovely.”

“Just lovely?”

“More than lovely. The gallery sponsors exhibits of local artists. We have an area of the gallery devoted to them. I’d like to show a few of your pieces including the one I saw at the Institute. I think that one is exquisite.”

“When would you like them?”

“Tomorrow soon enough?”

“Really?” Jamie asked excitedly.

“Yes, really. Is paper your only medium?”

“For now. I make my own paper and dye it to match my moods then store it until I’m ready to ‘paint.’ Do you think my work will garner any interest?”

“I believe it will or I wouldn’t have asked. The Bloom Gallery regularly sends out emails and flyers notifying our patrons and the community of new artists. Our flyer goes out in a few days; your name will be on it.”

“I don’t know how to thank you,” Jamie gushed.

“Just keep working at your craft, that’s all the thanks I need.” Lindsay smiled back at the young woman.

“The woman that night, is she your partner?” Jamie asked softly.

“Yes.”

“She didn’t look too happy to be there.”

“Art is not Mel’s forte.”

“She’s pretty.”

“Yes, she is.”

“You’ve been together long?”

“Twenty years, give or take.”

“Wow.”

“Yes, wow. Well, I have paintings to hang. You bring me three of your best pieces and yours will be hung too.”

“I will and if you think of a way for me to thank you, please let me know.” Lindsay’s beatific smile was her only reply.



*****



“Drewsie?” Emmett and Drew were lounging pool side as their fantasy cruise ship was sailing toward the Caribbean.

“Yeah, baby?”

“Have I told you how much I love you?”

“Not in the last ten minutes, Babe.”

“Then I must correct that oversight. I love you, Drew Boyd. I love you with all my heart even without this fabulous vacation.”

“I love you, Emmett Honeycutt. And I had to give you something that you wouldn’t have gotten for yourself.”

“This is perfect,” Emmett said as a sweet young bronzed waiter brought the partners cold drinks. Beer for Drew and something fruity in a large goblet with pineapple and umbrella for Emmett.

“Babe, I know something that would make this more perfect.”

“How can this possibly get any better?”

“By making this a honeymoon cruise.”

“What?” Emmett sat up straight.

“Marry me, Emm,” Drew said as he got up off his lounger, threw a towel onto the deck and knelt upon it. “Emmett Honeycutt, would you do me the honor of committing to me and becoming my life partner.”

“Oh my god!”

“Is that a yes?”

“Yes, oh yes!” Emmett shrieked as he reached down to get Drew up off the deck. “Yes, I’ll marry you!”

With the strength of ten line backers, Emmett picked his man up off the floor to give him a hug. The men at poolside who realized what was happening let out a rousing cheer as the lovers kissed confirming their promise.

“Emm, if we can arrange it, let’s do it here,” Drew suggested when they came up for air.

“Honey, I haven’t had sex in public in a very long time.”

“Not that, our commitment. Let’s see if the captain of the ship will perform a commitment ceremony.”

“Are you serious?”

“As a nun.”

“Poor choice of words, honey.”

“You know what I mean. I’m going to send a note to the captain. Who knows, maybe he’s a football fan.”

“Couldn’t hurt to ask. But sweetie, while we’re waiting for his answer, let’s do a little more honeymooning,” Emmett suggested in a very sultry tone.

“I’m down with that, Babe.”

Hand in hand the lovers went back to their stateroom to continue their honeymoon.



*****



“Hi Dad!” Molly exclaimed as she opened her door to see her dad and Susan standing there. They were holding several boxes and bags.

“You going to invite us in?” Craig asked.

“Yes, sorry, please come in,” Molly said as she stepped aside to allow her father and step-mother inside her apartment. “Forgive the mess; I haven’t had time to clean lately.”

“Sweetheart, your apartment is as neat as a pin. Besides, you have more important things to do than cleaning, like taking care of my grandson. Where is Taylor, by the way?”

“Sleeping. He’ll be ready for a bottle soon. Would you like to see the nursery?”

This was Craig and Susan’s first visit to Molly and Owen’s apartment since the baby was born.

“Dad, Susan, I’m sorry I didn’t invite you over sooner but...” Molly had recovered from her exhaustion but she still was a little tired. Since she and Owen had gotten home, this was Molly’s first day alone. Owen had gone back to work.

“Honey, we understand,” Susan said as she guided the young mother to the sofa. “Molly, we brought lunch and something you can reheat later for dinner. I know you must be very tired so we won’t stay long. We just wanted to bring over some things for the baby and for you too.”

Molly was very grateful that Susan seemed to understand the situation. A quiet gurgle emanating from the nursery signaled Taylor’s awakening. Molly immediately went into the baby’s room. A few minutes later Molly emerged with her son. There was ‘ooing and aahing’ as Craig and Susan fawned over the baby while Molly warmed up a bottle.

“Would you like to feed Taylor?” Molly asked her father. Craig had missed out on Briana’s baby years; he wasn’t going to pass up this opportunity. Craig made himself comfortable on the sofa. Molly handed him the baby and then the bottle. A smile lit up Craig’s face.

“Taylor looks a lot like you when you were an infant,” Craig said as he fed his grandchild.

“Yeah?”

“And your brother too. You were both such happy babies. Peach fuzz for hair and big blue eyes. So beautiful, both of you,” Craig whispered with tears in his eyes. “So much wasted time,” he mumbled as an afterthought.

“Dad.”

“No honey, I made some awful mistakes and I have to pay for them but I promise to not interfere. Just allow me to spend some time with this baby.”

“Anytime, I promise,” Molly reassured her father. Molly could see some of the
dad she and Justin had grown up with before Justin had made his declaration and changed Molly’s world forever.

“Dad, you can be a part of Bree’s life and Justin’s for that matter. They both love you.”

“I don’t know if I can.” Taylor was sucking strongly at the bottle then had come up for air and a burp. Craig wiped his tiny mouth then offered the remainder of the bottle to the tiny cherub.

“Daddy, they’ve been together for a very long time,” Molly said gently, referring to Brian and Justin’s relationship. “Justin loves him as much today as he did back then. I’ve always known that, but I’ve been witness to the proof this past week that we spent with them. Brian takes care of them, Dad. And he helped to take care of me, Owen and the baby.”

Craig snorted at that remark.

“He did, Dad. You should have seen him with Taylor, feeding, bathing, playing and changing a dirty diaper. Justin told me Brian was the one who was up at two and four with Bree. I wouldn’t have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. But it was all true.”

“But he stole my son.” Craig mumbled the same words he had spoken for eighteen years.

“No he didn’t, Dad. Brian just allowed Justin to be the man he was born to be. Don’t let your prejudices and your pride get in the way of enjoying your family. My silly stubbornness nearly ruined mine. Dad, Brian Kinney is the most exasperating man I have ever met but he’s also the most caring, compassionate, not to mention, smartest man I know. He loves his family and will do almost anything to keep them safe and happy. Please give him a chance.”

Craig gave Molly a sideways grin then blew a raspberry on Taylor’s tummy. The baby gurgled a giggle then burped. They all cheered loudly, even as the sounds he continued to make began coming from the other end as well.



*****



“Drewsie?”

“Yeah, Babe.”

“Isn’t this night divine?” Emmett and Drew were currently in their stateroom drinking champagne, courtesy of the ship, and feeding each other tidbits of fruit dipped in dark chocolate. Also courtesy of the ship.

“Yes, it is and it isn’t over yet,” Drew murmured as he kissed his newly committed life partner.

Drew’s request to the captain of the ship had been granted. In a private ceremony just before dinner the captain presided over a simple commitment ceremony between Drew and Emmett. The lovers exchanged words of love and fidelity. Then enjoyed a scrumptious dinner in their room.

“Touchdown!”


Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 10




“Did you enjoy Yellowstone?” Carl asked as he headed the Winnebago in the direction of home.

Debbie sighed. “You’ve seen one geyser, you’ve seen them all.”

“You’re just homesick,” Carl chuckled.

“Yeah, I am.”

“Well, if we head straight through, we’ll be home in a few days,” Carl advised.

“Sounds good to me.”

“Deb, I really have enjoyed this trip. We’ve seen a lot and met some interesting people.”

“Yeah, we have,” Debbie agreed touching Carl’s arm as he drove. “When we take the next trip I promise not to get homesick on you.”

“You think there’ll be another trip?” Carl asked.

“Don’t you want to go on another one?”

“Yes, yes I do.”

“But…?” Debbie asked raising an eyebrow in a manner worthy of Brian Kinney.

“But I don’t want to force you into anything you don’t want to do.”

“Since when have I ever allowed myself to be forced into anything?”

“I got you to marry me, didn’t I?” Carl smirked.

“Well, that was a very special circumstance.” Debbie smiled at her husband.

Carl smiled back. “How can you promise that you won’t get homesick?” Carl asked. “I would think it just happens. How can you prevent it?”

“I’ll know that things are stable at home before we go anywhere again. We left right after Jennifer’s wedding and Molly had her new baby and the kids will almost be through school by the time we get back and…”

“Okay, okay!” Carl said throwing up his hands.

“Keep those hands on the steering wheel,” Debbie ordered immediately. “This thing drives like a tank. I don’t want to end up in the ditch.”

“I got it,” Carl said straightening the course of the big vehicle. “So, when do you think this calm and stable period in our lives might be?” he asked after a minute.

Debbie laughed. “Tomorrow, next month, next year, never.” She looked at Carl’s face which showed his displeasure at that answer. “We’ll play it by ear, honey, okay?”

“Yeah, I guess that’s what we will have to do.”

“I promise we’ll take another trip,” Debbie said crossing her heart. “How about the fall?”

“I may hold you to that.”

“That’s fine. I love being with you whatever we’re doing.”

Carl stared at his wife and smiled broadly. “You are quite a dame.”

“And don’t you ever forget that!” Debbie replied with her familiar laugh.



*****



“We should be landing in about an hour,” Seth said looking at his watch.

“I can hardly wait,” Jennifer said scrunching up her shoulders in anticipation.

“I’ll have to hire one of those extra large vans to transport us and all our luggage from the airport to my condo,” Seth said winking at Jennifer.

“Thanks for calling it our luggage,” Jennifer laughed.

“Well it is. I hope I’ll get some credit for helping you make all your purchases?”

“I’ll give you as much credit as you’d like.”

Seth laughed. “Nobody will believe I had anything to do with it.”

“Why? A man can’t enjoy shopping?”

“Of course he can, but most men don’t. And I like to think ‘the family’ has gotten to know me well enough to know I wouldn’t be the one who bought all the stuff we’re bringing home.”

Jennifer giggled. “But you are the one who bought the time share.”

“Yes, I am.”

“It was a lovely gesture, Seth. I look forward to going back to Aruba many times. I had such a wonderful time there.” Jennifer reached over and laid her hand on top of Seth’s.

Seth picked up her hand with his other hand and pressed the back of it to his lips. “I still love you, Mrs. Harris, even after spending weeks alone together.”

Jennifer laughed and then her face sobered. “What does that mean exactly?” she asked with a puzzled look on her face.

“It means that we passed the honeymoon test.”

“There’s a test?”

“Oh yes, I have it on good authority that once the passion of the first few nights of sex wears off, many couples find they really don’t like each other very much, let alone love each other.”

“And just who would this authority be?”

“He shall remain nameless,” Seth declared staring straight ahead.

“It wouldn’t be a certain son-in-law of mine, would it?” Jennifer asked.

“Owen would never say something like that.”

“I didn’t mean Owe…” Jennifer stopped. “You’re teasing me, aren’t you?”

“Yes, my dear, I’m teasing you,” Seth chuckled.

“It did sound like something Brian might say,” Jennifer said in her own defense.

“I thought you might think that,” Seth chuckled.

“You have a wicked side, don’t you?” Jennifer looked at her husband with appraising eyes.

“Are you just figuring that out, my dear?”

“Don’t you ‘my dear me’, Seth Harris,” Jennifer threatened. “I can sic Brian Kinney after you.”

“Idle threats will do you no good. Brian and I have an agreement.”

“An agreement?”

“Yes, an agreement. He likes to think he’s responsible for getting us together, and I tend to let him think so,” Seth stated.

“Well, he did sort of get us together,” Jennifer had to admit. “So, what’s this agreement?” she asked with a frown.

“I make you ecstatically happy and he doesn’t kill me,” Seth said keeping a straight face.

Jennifer let out a laugh worthy of Debbie. “God, you are a nut. I love you so much.”

“It’s lucky for me that I love you just as much or more in return,” Seth chuckled.

“Very lucky, I’m sure,” Jennifer said with love in her eyes for her husband. “And I’m just as lucky having you in my life.”

“I think that was the perfect ending to a perfect honeymoon,” Seth observed, as the pilot announced they would be landing in Pittsburgh in the next few minutes.

“Yes, perfect,” Jennifer agreed, and she meant every word of it.



*****



“Do we really have to go home?” Emmett pouted.

“Our week is up,” Drew said reasonably.

“Couldn’t we see where the ship’s going next and just stay aboard?”

“I guess we could,” Drew replied slowly. “But you have parties to plan and businesses to run, and so do I.”

“You’re in party planning now?” Emmett asked with a big grin. He could never pass up a chance for a joke, even when he was feeling down.

Drew laughed, as he always did at Emmett’s sense of humor. He loved his new husband so much. “I don’t think anyone would pay me for my party planning skills.”

“This was a pretty great party you invited me to,” Emmett declared referring to the cruise and the proposal.

“Well, maybe for once I did it right. But don’t count on it ever happening again.”

“That’s okay. I think one commitment ceremony will be plenty for me.”

“I should hope so,” Drew said as he wrapped his arms around Emmett’s waist. They stared out at the ocean over the rail of the ship. Each thought that this trip couldn’t have been better. It was just perfect.

“So, are we going to stay longer?” Emmett asked after a few minutes.

“Don’t you want to go home so that you can tell everyone our big news?” Drew asked, deciding to take a slightly different tack.

“Hm, let me think. No!”

“You are so full of shit, my love. You know you can’t wait to tell them.”

“They are going to be so pissed.” Emmett couldn’t help but grin.

“They won’t be pissed,” Drew averred. “They will be very happy for us.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.”

“You … you didn’t tell Brian, did you?”

“How could I tell Brian when I didn’t even really know that I was going to ask you to marry me?”

“It was spur of the moment?” Emmett asked, his face clouding over. “Didn’t you really think it through?”

“Emmett, I love you. I’ve been thinking about this for a while. The timing seemed perfect … finally, so I asked you.”

Emmett smiled, his toothy grin lighting up the deck of the ship and reflecting the setting sun. “I’m ready to go home,” he said out of the blue.

“You are, but…?”

“This has been lovely, Drew, but it isn’t real.”

“What do you mean, it isn’t real?”

“This ship and sailing from port to port is nice, but our life is back in Pittsburgh and out at Edna’s Treasures. This was a lovely fantasy, and I enjoyed the break very much. However, it’s time to go home. As you said, I’ve got parties to plan and businesses to run.”

“I see,” Drew said, although he was having trouble figuring out which way the wind was blowing where his mercurial mate was concerned.

“I like my life at home. I’m ready to go back to it,” Emmett restated.

“I guess that’s good.”

“But maybe we could go on a cruise next year?” Emmett wheedled.

“I don’t see why not,” Drew laughed.

“Oh Drewsie, you’ve made me the happiest bride in the world.”

“Happy to oblige, ma’am,” Drew laughed as he hugged Emmett tight and swung him around.

The other people on the deck watched with amusement and maybe a touch of envy. The pure happiness of the two men was evident to all of them.



*****



“So, what did Debbie have to say?” Justin asked as he finished putting his brushes away. He was quite pleased with the portrait of Molly, Owen and Taylor that was almost finished. He stood back to admire his work.

“She and Carl are on their way back. They think they’ve done enough traveling for now. Maybe they will go off again in the fall.”

“I hope they do. Debbie deserves to enjoy some of the finer things in life.”

“They’re going to love that,” Brian said as he looked at the painting.

“I hope so,” Justin said wistfully.

“What?” Brian demanded. “What brought that note to your voice?”

“Do … do you ever think about us having another child?” Justin asked hesitantly.

“No.”

Justin laughed in spite of himself. “You don’t? Ever?”

“No, I don’t. Gus and Bree and Patrick and JR and Taylor and Ashley and…”

“Okay, okay, you can stop the list,” Justin chuckled. “I see what you’re getting at.”

“We don’t need more kids. There’s plenty around when you want one,” Brian declared. “And then they go home at the end of the day.”

“Except for Bree.”

“Except for our daughter,” Brian agreed.

“And that suits you just fine.”

“We have two great kids of our own. I see no need for more.”

“It’s just that having Taylor around kind of got me thinking,” Justin said.

“Taylor is cute, but we don’t need another child.”

“I know. It will be great having Molly and the baby out here once their cottage is built.”

“It might be okay,” Brian smirked.

“You are incorrigible. You know you love that baby.”

“Taylor’s okay.”

“Better than okay.”

Brian sucked in his lips and merely stared at the portrait.

“Has John drawn up any plans for their cottage?” Justin asked as he covered his painting.

“I think so. I imagine it will look something like ours.”

“You think so?”

“Everyone wants a cottage like ours,” Brian said smugly. “Cottage envy.”

“What the hell is cottage envy?” Justin laughed.

“It’s what you get when you visit Edna’s Treasures and see how … okay our life is here.”

“Okay! Okay? Our life is not okay. It’s fabulous!”

“See, we have everything we could want. We don’t need another child,” Brian reminded his mate.

Justin shook his head. “There is no point in arguing with you,” he said.

“That’s because I’m always right,” Brian smirked.

“Mom and Seth should be home by now,” Justin said looking at his watch and deciding it was time to change the subject. “I could use a drink.”

“Sounds good. Beer?” Brian asked heading for the kitchen.

“Yeah.” Justin followed him out to the kitchen and they took their beers and sat at the kitchen table.

“I wish they had let us pick them up at the airport,” Justin said after he had a long drink of his beer.

“We wouldn’t have had room for them and all their luggage. You know your mother will have bought half the island of Aruba.”

“My mother is not a spendthrift,” Justin objected.

“I seem to remember a time or two that she took you shopping and you came back laden with bags of every description.”

“Well, maybe,” Justin had to admit.

“And she certainly bought enough outfits and things for Bree.”

“Yeah, I guess she did.”

“So, given her track record, I’m sure she will appear with multitudinous gifts for Bree and Taylor and … everyone.”

“Okay, I can’t argue with you there. I just hope they had a good time.”

“How could they not on their honeymoon?” Brian snarked.

“It’s not all about sex, you know,” Justin told his husband.

“Of course it is.”

Justin shook his head. He sure wasn’t winning any arguments with Brian today. “I guess Drew and Emmett will be back soon too.”

“Yep.”

“Why didn’t you tell me when you were helping Drew organize the surprise for Emmett?”

“Because then it wouldn’t have been a surprise.”

“It was supposed to be a surprise for Emmett, not for me.”

“Same difference,” Brian declared.

Justin stared at his husband. Sometimes Brian could be very exasperating, but mostly Justin loved the big goof. “Should we have a get-together this weekend, so everybody can tell us about their exploits while on vacation?”

“I suppose … if we have to,” Brian said in his long-suffering voice.

“You are so busted. You know you enjoy hearing all about the fruits of your labor.”

“Fruits of my labor?” Brian asked. He wasn’t at all sure what Justin meant by that.

“Yes, fruits of your labor, O mastermind of the gay cruise, purveyor of the Winnebago and matchmaker extraordinaire for my mother.”

Brian couldn’t help but laugh. “I guess I can’t fool you.”

“Better not even try.”

“Daddy! Dada!” a little voice screeched, as Bree came bounding through the front door of the cottage closely followed by Patrick. “I’m home!”

“Now you see why we don’t need another one,” Brian whispered.

“Come tell us about your day at school, sweetheart,” Justin said as he got up to get the children a snack, and a beer for Bobby who had just walked in behind them.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 11





“What the fuck is going on here?” Debbie exclaimed in her own unique style. “The lane looks like a construction site!”

It was the Memorial Day weekend, all of the happy travelers were back in the land of Liberty. And they all wanted the opportunity to exchange gifts, show off photos of the wonderful places they visited and regale the family about their exploits. However, instead of doing it individually, they all decided to wait for the Edna’s Treasures annual Memorial Day barbecue. The whole family was looking forward to it.

Debbie and Carl had driven up with Ben and Michael.

“Deb, apparently Molly and Owen loved their visit to the cottage a little too much,” Ben explained. “They ordered one.” Ben and Michael snickered.

“They ordered a cottage?” Carl asked.

“You’re shitting me, right?”

“No, Ma. John’s crew just started to clear the land. He said it should be done by the end of the summer,” Michael stated.

“Soon half of Liberty Avenue will have a cottage up here,” Carl chuckled. “Look at all that equipment,” Carl said as he pointed across the road. In the clearing that was once piled high with plowed snow, were bulldozers, cranes and other building materials. “Kind of reminds me of ‘Truckhenge’.” Carl and Debbie broke out into belly laughs.

“What’s ‘Truckhenge’?” Michael asked.

“Later, honey. We have plenty of pictures,” Debbie teased.

“We also have plenty of pictures of Graceland,” Carl contributed. Michael tried not to groan too loudly as Carl laughed even louder.



*****



“Drewsie, honey, when should we let them in on our little secret?” Emmett whispered as he and Drew were helping to arrange all the garden furniture. Brian’s gardens were in full bloom, the tables and chairs were strategically placed to show off each arrangement of flowers and shrubs.

“Maybe as we’re showing the pictures you took of the ship. You know, here’s our stateroom, this is the pool and here’s where my Drew proposed and here’s where....”

“Ah ha!” Brian exclaimed as he stepped out from behind the table umbrella he was holding. “I knew something was up with you, Emm. So that’s why you’ve been avoiding me,” Brian growled as he narrowed his gaze at the flaming queen. “So you finally got your ring,” he added smugly as his eyes spied Emmett’s left hand.

“Honey,” Emmett said deeply, “I’ve always worn a ring. It’s just this one you can actually see.” The three men laughed as Brian’s eyes quickly scanned down the front of Emmett’s shorts and then back up again.

“I’m happy for you both,” Brian said sincerely as he gave his two friends a hug. “I take it you’re going to reveal your news a little later?”

“We thought it best over dessert,” Emmett confirmed. “And we have plenty of pictures.”

“Gay porn, I’m always up for that.” Brian leered suggestively.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to settle for pictures of our ship and of the islands,” Drew explained.

“Damn!” Brian said as he snapped his fingers. “To tell you the truth, I’d rather look at pictures of your ship than Graceland. Debbie must have taken hundreds of them.”

“Can’t be any worse than Michael and Dr. Dave’s trip to Paris,” Emmett confided in a whisper to Brian’s ear. Brian nodded conspiratorially.

The three friends continued to arrange the garden furniture.



*****



“Susan, why am I here in this god-forsaken lane?” Craig griped at his wife.

Both Justin and Molly had invited Craig and Susan to the barbecue. Jennifer posed no objections and Brian promised to behave. Molly hoped that for her sake and for Justin’s that both their parents would be stable fixtures in Bree and Taylor’s lives. If Brian had any doubts about Craig, he swore to keep them to himself. But that wasn’t going to stop Brian from watching Craig like a hawk for the day.

“You’re here because your son and your daughter, both of whom are parents of beautiful children, are hoping that you’ll put aside your ridiculous prejudices and be a grandfather to your grandchildren,” Susan said succinctly and precisely.

“Yes, Susan,” was all that Craig could reply. Craig was coming to the realization that if he wanted any contact with his grandchildren, he would have to try to be civil to his son’s partner. Partner, not a word Craig Taylor ever thought he would use to describe someone other than in the business arena.

“Good, because you see that clearing over there?” Susan pointed to the cleared tract of land that Molly and Owen’s cottage would be built upon. Craig slowed down as they drove by. “Your daughter is having a cottage built and they plan on using it … often.”

Craig remained silent but he got the point.



*****



“You both look so tanned and so relaxed!” Emmett gushed as he greeted Jennifer and Seth. Even though they had been back from their honeymoon for a couple of weeks they still retained that sun kissed glow. Jennifer and Seth had just come through the front door of Edna’s Treasures laden with bags of gifts and several salads. Molly, Owen and baby Taylor had ridden with them.

“I could say the same about you,” Jennifer remarked as she eyed the tall queen. “Something’s different about you.”

“You’re not pregnant, are you?” Molly joked as she gave Emmett a kiss. “You’re positively glowing.”

“Heavens no!” Emmett stammered, waving his hands.

“Hold it right there, mister,” Jennifer commanded. “Hand it over,” she said as she reached for Emmett’s left hand. On it was a simple gold band. “Emm, something you’d like to tell us?”

“Um, it is what you think,” Emmett said quickly and in a whisper. “But I really want to tell everyone later, okay?”

“Okay, Emm. Mum’s the word. But be prepared to give details,” Jennifer smiled.

“Thank you, Mrs. Harris, and I will if you will,” Emmett smiled broadly as he winked.

“Oh, Emm,” Molly began, “my mother had a very boring honeymoon. All she and Seth did was nap!” Molly said as she burst into laughter.

“Ooooo!” Emmett squeed. “You must tell me all about it,” Emmett demanded as he spirited Jennifer away toward the kitchen. Seth had the good sense to blush.



*****



“Craig, Susan, come in,” Brian said as he opened the front door of Edna’s Treasures to Justin’s father and his wife. He would gladly have had Justin greet them, but Justin seemed to be nowhere around, so the task fell to him. He had known that it must be Craig, because none of their other guests would knock, except for the Brenners and they were already there.

“Brian,” Craig said curtly.

“Hello, Brian,” Susan said with a sigh meant for her husband. “I see the site for Molly’s cottage is being prepared.”

“Yes, John is wasting no time.”

“I can’t understand why Molly would want to be in such an isolated spot,” Craig griped.

“It’s called peace and quiet,” Brian said pointedly. “If you choose to visit her and your grandchild, you might see why we like it here so much.”

Craig shook his head, knowing that the look on his wife’s face told him he better not say anything more.

“I brought chocolate chip cookies,” Susan said holding out the plate heaped with her cookies.

“Bree will be ecstatic,” Brian said. “All the food is in the sun porch, if you wouldn’t mind adding your cookies to the banquet.”

“Not at all,” Susan said as she grabbed Craig’s arm and dragged him out to the porch.



*****



“Gamma Susan, Gampa,” Bree shrieked as she saw her grandfather and his wife come into the sun porch doorway. She barreled over to them wrapping her arms around his legs. “I don’t see you in forever.”

Craig laughed at her enthusiasm. He reached down and picked her up, kissing her cheek. “I love your welcomes.”

“Me too,” Susan laughed.

“You’re getting so big,” Craig said as he hiked his granddaughter higher into his arms.

“I know, Gampa.”

Craig smiled at Bree. He loved this little girl so much. She was smart and kind and happy. He couldn’t fault Justin and that man in the way they had raised her. “Is Taylor here?”

Bree bobbed her head. “Filled his pants,” Bree giggled.

“Really?” Susan asked with a smile.

“Yep, that’s what Auntie Molly said before she went to change him.”

“How do you like Taylor?” Craig asked wondering if Bree felt her position in their lives was being threatened by the new arrival.

“Taylor’s all right,” Bree said thoughtfully. “Doesn’t do much.”

Craig laughed. “No, babies eat and sleep and poop.”

“Yep, a lot of poop,” Bree agreed as her grandfather put her down.



*****



“Hey, Emm,” Ted said approaching Emmett who was arranging food on the large table in the sun porch.

“Hey, Teddy,” Emmett said with his toothy grin.

“You’re looking very happy. That cruise must have really agreed with you.”

“You have no idea!” Emmett gushed.

Teddy studied his longtime friend. “What happened?” he asked after a minute. “Something’s different.”

“O, observant one!” Emmett waved his hand that sported the wedding band in Ted’s face.

“Oh, my God! You and Drew…?”

“Of course, me and Drew,” Emmett giggled. “Who else would it be?”

“That’s great news,” Ted said pulling Emmett into a warm hug.

“Sh, you can’t tell anyone until we make out announcement.”

Ted nodded before grabbing a beer and heading back outside.



*****



“And this is Elvis’ bedroom,” Debbie said pointing to the picture in her photo album. “And the kitchen, and the living room.”

Brian nodded. “Nice,” he said dryly. Debbie had managed to corner him and bombard him with all her pictures of Graceland. They had been working their way through Elvis’ home.

“And here’s the games room,” Debbie continued. “I just love this room. I’m trying to talk Carl into letting me make a room like that at home.”

“Where the fuck would you put it?” Brian demanded. He thought the room was butt ugly.

“I’ll figure something out,” Debbie declared. “This is Elvis’ grave. It was so strange and holy standing there on the spot where the King is buried.”

“I’m sure it was,” Brian snarked.

“Oh, let me show you some of Elvis’ costumes. They have a whole museum of the things he wore.”

“You’ve seen one rhinestone encrusted jumpsuit, you’ve seen them all,” Brian observed.

“Asshole! Elvis was a real trendsetter.”

“Dada,” Bree interrupted. “Daddy wants you to start the barbecues.”

“Thanks, Squirt. Remind me to give you an extra cookie for rescuing me from Gamma Debbie’s picture extravaganza,” Brian said taking Bree’s hand and walking towards the barbecues.

Bree giggled as she walked with her father across the yard.



*****



“Emmett, everything looks wonderful,” Claire said watching the tall man rearrange some of the dishes on the long table in the sun porch.

“Everybody always brings way more food than we need. Brian and Justin have leftovers for weeks.”

Claire laughed. “Brian would have you believe that he doesn’t do leftovers.”

“Don’t tell anybody, but Justin freezes a lot of it and then hauls it out without telling Brian where it came from.”

“Justin is a very clever man.”

“That he is, just like my Drewsie.”

“Your Drewsie?”

“My Drewsie is the handsomest, smartest, most romantic, sweetest…”

“Whoa there, my boy,” Claire laughed. “I have the greatest respect for your partner, but…”

“No buts, and he’s no longer my partner.”

“What? What do you mean, Emmett? What’s happened?” Claire said with worry in her voice.

Emmett flashed his ring and Claire’s mouth opened in surprise. “He’s your husband!”

“Correct on the first guess,” Emmett laughed as Claire hugged him in a manner worthy of Debbie.

“But you can’t tell anyone until we make the official announcement.”

“You can count on me,” Claire said with a big smile.



*****



“There’s Sharon and Owen,” Craig said when he and Susan had their drinks. “Let’s sit with them.” Craig led his wife over to the Brenners.

“Good to see you,” Owen said standing up and making sure everyone had a seat.

“They certainly get a crowd for these barbecues,” Sarah Kingsley observed with her nose in the air. She had finally agreed to come to one of these get-togethers.

“Yes, the group seems to be getting bigger all the time,” Craig agreed as he looked around at the motley crew of attendees.

“I think it’s lovely that everyone wants to spend time together,” Susan threw in. She hated the snobbery of her husband and Mrs. Kingsley. If she had her choice, she’d go sit with Molly, but she hadn’t reappeared from changing the baby.

Craig snorted and took a long drink of his beer. “I wouldn’t be here at all if it wasn’t for my grandchildren.”

“Then you’d miss a really good time,” Owen said studying Craig Taylor with eyes that perhaps saw him for the first time.



*****



“Emmett, do you know how to make a Long Island Iced Tea?” Carl asked coming over to Emmett.

“Why yes, I believe I do, and they’re very yummy. Would you like one?”

“Not for me. Debbie discovered them while we were traveling.”

“I’ll be happy to whip one up, and make one for myself as well.”

“Thank you,” Carl said as he followed Emmett to the bar area.

Emmett started whipping up the concoction adding all the kinds of alcohol that were required. “And some iced tea,” Emmett said adding the last ingredient.

“No wonder she likes those things. They must pack a punch.”

“They slide down really easy, and after four or five the sledgehammer falls,” Emmett laughed. He held out the glass waving it in front of Carl’s face so that the man would be sure to see his wedding ring.

“Is that…?”

“Oops, I wasn’t supposed to tell till we make out announcement,” Emmett giggled.

“I won’t tell a soul,” Carl pledged. “And congratulations.”

“Thank you muchly,” Emmett grinned.

Carl made his way back outside.



*****



“Come and get it!” Brian called as his first batch of burgers and dogs was ready for consumption.

“Great day for this,” Carl said as he walked down the line. “Did you hear Emmett’s news?”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Yeah, but no one’s supposed to know.”

“Emmett’s not a great one for keeping a secret, especially about something like this.”

“Yeah, ain’t that the truth.”

Carl moved away and Claire and Steve held out their plates. “It really is great news,” Claire said with a big smile.

“You know too?”

“I think Emmett has had trouble containing himself. He’s too happy. It’s written all over his face.”

Brian shook his head. It seemed like the news was out.

“Bri, can I get a couple of hotdogs for Bree and Patrick?”

“Sure, Sunshine,” Brian replied. He waited for Justin to say something about Emmett’s wedding. He dished up the hotdogs and when Justin still didn’t say anything, he concluded that Justin might be one of the few who didn’t know the big news. “Here you go,” he said handing his husband the plates for the kids. “And ask Emmett about his new jewelry.”

“Okaaay?” Justin said giving his husband a quizzical look.

Brian chuckled to himself. He could hardly wait for Emmett’s big announcement.



Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Ladies of Liberty

Chapter 12





“Michael, how’s married life these days?” Emmett asked as he nibbled on his burger and salad. Michael had been heading for the bathroom, but he chose to stop and speak with his old friend.

“It’s great. Why do you ask?” Michael wanted to know. He sat down in the chair that Drew had vacated to go get his new husband a drink.

“Because…” Emmett paused for dramatic effect. “Drew and I got married while we were on the cruise.”

“You what! Oh Emm, I’m so happy for you.”

“I’m very happy for me too. Don’t tell anybody though. Drew and I are going to announce it in a few minutes.”

“Wouldn’t dream of spilling the beans … and congratulations.” Michael continued on his way to the bathroom.



*****



“Taylor is already so much bigger than at the hospital,” Craig said as he nursed the baby, feeding the little bundle a bottle so Molly could eat her burger.

“Hungry little devil,” Molly laughed.

“You both seem to be doing much better,” Susan said.

“Things were rough for a while, but it’s all great now.”

“Are you sure you want to move out here to the middle of nowhere?” Craig asked.

“I’ve never been more certain. And we’re also keeping our condo in Pittsburgh.”

“But … why? What’s so great about this place?”

“I felt so comfortable and so at peace when Owen and I and the baby were staying here. It’s a wonderful spot,” Molly told her father.

“I just don’t see it,” Craig replied.

“If you choose to spend some time in our new cottage with Taylor and me and Owen, maybe you’ll find out.”

Craig shook his head and then noticed the smirk on his wife’s face. Everyone seemed to have the same advice for him today. Well, fuck their advice. He’d make up his own mind. He concentrated on feeding the baby.



*****



“Hey, Emmett, Bobby and I are available for clean-up duty,” John said as he approached Emmett.

“I always count on you guys,” Emmett said with a big smile.

“You’re very chipper today.”

“Yes I am, aren’t I?” Emmett giggled.

“What’s up?” John asked with a frown.

“Can you keep a secret?”

“I like to think I can.”

“Then come closer,” Emmett whispered. When John leaned down, Emmett spoke softly into his ear. “Drew and I got married on our cruise.”

“You did? That’s terrific. I highly recommend married life,” John stated.

“I like it pretty much too,” Emmett grinned. “But don’t say anything.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” John said before he walked away to find his own husband.



*****



Brian had been watching all the people who spoke with Emmett. He couldn’t help but wonder how many of them had been told Emmett’s big secret. He watched John walk away with a smile on his face. It seemed evident that Emmett had told Brian’s brother the big news too.



*****



“And this is Elvis’ tomb,” Debbie said reverently.

“Sounds like you really enjoyed your time at Graceland,” Justin said graciously. Debbie had been showing him her pictures of the place for the last hour or two, or that’s what it seemed like anyway.

“What’s this?” Justin asked as Debbie turned the page.

Debbie laughed. “Truckhenge. It’s a fucking work of art.”

“Work of art? It looks like trucks turned on their noses and half buried,” Justin observed.

“That’s exactly what it is, Sunshine,” Debbie declared. “Trust the artist’s eye to notice.”

“What’s it supposed to be?” Justin asked.

“What does the name make you think of?”

“Well, Stonehenge in England,” Justin offered.

“Exactly. The guy who made it did it as a protest.”

“He went to all that trouble as a protest? What was he protesting?”

“The powers that be. You can identify with that, can’t you?”

“Yeah, I can,” Justin said studying the pictures of the strange arrangement of vehicles.

“Hope it doesn’t give you any ideas of what you might want to make,” Debbie said with a wink.

Justin stared blankly at her.



*****



“Auntie Emm,” Bree said as she sidled up to one of her favorite people.

“What is it, little one?” Emmett asked with a smile.

“Dada said I could have an extra cookie.”

“He did?”

“Yep,” Bree stated bobbing her head.

“That doesn’t sound much like your Dada.”

“But he did tell me that.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“So, what do you want me to do about it?”

“Remember that Dada told me I could have an extra cookie, in case I forget.”

Emmett laughed loudly. “It doesn’t seem likely that you’ll forget about your extra cookie.”

“I might.”

“Then I’ll be sure to remind you.”

“Thank you, Auntie Emm,” Bree said reaching up for a hug.

Emmett’s arms came around the little girl just as Justin approached.

“Is that a ring I see on your finger?” Justin asked.

“Why yes, it is,” Emmett replied happily.

“And it’s significance?”

“Drew and I got married on the cruise,” Emmett whispered to Justin.

“Auntie Emm!” Bree screeched at the top of her lungs. “You got married without me! I wanted to be the flowergirl.” She pouted mightily.

The whole yard grew silent as they heard Bree’s plaintive wail. Everyone turned to look at Emmett.

“Surprise!” Emmett called out. “Drew and I are married. I guess Bree blew our big surprise.”

“What surprise, you big fairy!” Brian shouted. “You’ve already told ninety percent of the people here.”

Heads nodded in agreement all over the garden.

“Congratulations,” John called out, breaking the awkward moment. Everyone added similar good wishes, while Drew managed to find his way back to his mate’s side.

Brian walked over and gave each man a hug and a kiss. “Be happy,” he said.

“Drew has made me the happiest little woman in the whole world,” Emmett joked.

Brian took Bree’s hand and led her aside to explain why she couldn’t be the flowergirl at her Auntie Emm’s wedding. Everyone else descended upon the happy couple to continue their well wishes.



*****



“Father Tom,” Drew began.

“Just Tom, today I’m just Tom,” Father Tom answered.

“Well then, just Tom, I was wondering if you’d do me and Emmett the honor of saying a blessing for us. I realize our union is not legal, but Emm and I take it very seriously.”

“I know and I still harbor the hope that one day same sex marriages will be recognized as being legally binding as heterosexual marriages are. However, until then, there’s nothing stopping me from blessing your commitment. Did you want to do it today?”

“I don’t see why not. The whole family’s here to bear witness,” Drew replied.

“Then let me prepare while you gather the family. Would you like to do it here in the garden or at the stream? Miracles have happened at that blessed site,” Tom said referring to Briana’s christening.

“The stream. I can’t think of anywhere closer to the Almighty than there.”

“Then at the stream it will be. I’ll go there now to prepare.”

“See you in a few minutes, Tom,” Drew winked.

“Father Tom,” Tom winked back as he turned to walk toward the stream.



*****



“And where might ya be goin’ there, Father?” Brian asked in a brogue-ish lilt as he spied Tom walking toward the garden path.

“Well, now, I might be goin’ down to the stream, me lad,” Tom answered in kind. Brian arched his eyebrow.

“Drew has asked me to bless his and Emmett’s commitment. He requested it be done by the stream. But perhaps we should have asked for your permission first. It appears we’ve taken over,” Tom said with a sigh as he indicated the huge assembled mass of family. The family had broken off into several small groups as they all visited with each other and updated everyone on the happenings in their lives. Debbie was having fun corralling people to show off Truckhenge and Graceland. Even the mighty Sarah Kingsley could not escape from Debbie’s clutches.

“Emmett and Drew are two of my closest and dearest friends. I’m honored that they chose our stream to have their blessing,” Brian said in all seriousness. “You go and prepare for your voodoo. I’ll help get this motley crew down by the old mill stream.”

“Brian, I don’t think Sarah Kingsley would consider herself motley,” Tom chuckled.

“True, so we’ll be keepin’ that little tidbit between us, won’t we now, Father,” Brian said with a twinkle in his eye and a bit of the blarney in his voice. Tom smiled broadly as he returned to the path.



*****



“Ladies and gentlemen, and I use those terms loosely,” Brian began as he banged a large serving spoon against a metal tray to get everyone's attention. He was soon joined by Justin, Drew and Emmett. “Our latest couple to have joined the ranks of ball and chain-dom, would like you all to join them down by the stream to bear witness to the blessing of their commitment. If you all would follow Justin…” Brian stated as the family gathered closely to start following Justin toward the stream.

“Brian, where are you going?” Justin whispered.

“Don’t you worry your pretty little head about it, Sunshine. You just get this bunch down by the stream,” Brian said with a kiss to Justin’s lips. Justin smiled sweetly then continued to shepherd their family toward the stream.

“Hey, Squirt, come with me a minute.”

“Okay, Dada,” Bree answered, trusting that her Dada would not let her miss whatever was going to take place at the stream.

“Why are we being a party to this farce,” Craig grumbled under his breath.

“Because,” Owen Senior began, “we’re a family and that means you love and respect their choices. You don’t necessarily have to agree with them, but you can choose to keep your objections to yourself.” Owen’s tone would brook no argument. Craig nodded then extended his arm out for his wife. Craig and Susan followed the family down to the stream.



*****



Eventually the whole family was assembled by the great rock near the stream. Father Tom had Emmett and Drew standing with him, ready to receive their blessing. Tom was just about to begin when he saw Brian and Briana approach. Bree was carrying a large bouquet of flowers freshly cut from Brian’s garden.

“Here, Auntie Emm, for you!” Bree said as she held up the bouquet for Emmett.

“Oh thank you, sweetheart!” Emmett exclaimed as he took the bouquet then burst out into very loud happy sobs.

“Oh for fuck’s sake,” Brian groused as he held out the box of tissues he was carrying. Emmett took several, daubed at his eyes then blew his nose with a loud honk. He then handed the soiled tissue back to Brian who took it with a look of distaste.

Emmett then quickly divided up his flowers to hand a bunch back to Bree.

“Stay here with me, Miss Bree, and be my flowergirl.”

“Oh thank you, Auntie Emm!” Bree cried and the whole family laughed with the child’s delight. Emm then took a purple cone flower, breaking the stem short and stuck it in Drew’s breast pocket.

“We’re ready now, Father!” Emmett said.

“About fucking time,” Debbie was heard grumbling.

“Dearly beloved friends and family, I have had the honor to perform several ceremonies for this wonderful family including the christening of this child,” Tom said as he patted Bree on her head. “And I never tire of bestowing a blessing of commitment, especially when one has been truly earned and deserved. If anyone here knows why this blessing should not take place, speak now or forever hold your peace.”

Brian and several family members turned to glare at Craig. Craig wisely kept quiet.

“Emmett Honeycutt and Drew Boyd, as witnessed by your friends, family, Mother Earth and the Almighty, we bless this commitment that you have made to each other. We wish you both long life and long love. A-men.”

“Amen,” the family repeated and then cheered the happy couple loudly.

As Emmett burst out into another round of happy tears, Brian handed him the box of tissues.



*****



“Deb, can I take another look at your pictures of Truckhenge?” Justin asked.

After the ceremony at the stream the family had moseyed on back to the gardens and sun porch to continue the celebrations. Libations of all sorts flowed freely as did food and desserts. The whole family was having a wonderful time celebrating their good fortunes.

“Sure, Sunshine. Finding inspiration?” Debbie joked, as she handed the packet of pictures to Justin.

“Sort of,” Justin said with a strange look on his face. He began flipping through the array of pictures.

“Justin, baby, are you all right?” Debbie asked with concern seeing his expression.

“I’m fine, Deb,” Justin said as he began walking toward the lane with the pictures in his hand.

Debbie watched him go then called Brian over.

“What is it, Maw, run out of victims to show your pictures to?”

“No, asshole. Something’s up with my Sunshine. And it’s your job to find out what,” Debbie said seriously as she looked up into Brian’s eyes. Brian nodded, knowing that look meant business. He sprinted away to catch up with Justin.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian said as he approached Justin. Justin was sitting on a pile of lumber that would eventually become the frame for Molly and Owen’s cottage.

“Hey,” Justin replied softly. Beau was sniffing around all the big equipment. He was in charge of this lane and he marked several huge tires accordingly.

“Debbie is under the impression that something’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong.”

“Then why are you sitting on a bunch of wood while our house is overrun with our cwazy family?”

“What? You upset that I’m not sitting on your wood?”

“I’m sure we’ll rectify that situation later.”

“We will, Bri. I have no doubt,” Justin said as he kissed Brian’s lips.

“So what gives with the contemplation of rusty old trucks and buses stuck into the ground?”

“They speak to me somehow.”

“And what do they say? Please haul me off to be recycled?”

“No,” Justin smirked as he swatted Brian lightly in the gut. “But I understand why the artist did what he did.”

“Are you about to turn an abandoned truck into a work of art?”

“No but working in metal and on a scale this big is...”

“Tempting?”

“Yeah, very.”

“You’re serious.”

“Yup,” Justin said as he jumped down off his perch of wood and began pacing the yard trying to explain his vision to Brian. “For my first project I see a large metal sunflower maybe five feet across and twenty feet high. Of course I’ll have to learn how to weld and work with base metals and...”

“Whoa, slow down, Sonny Boy! And what do you mean by first project?”

“I mean to do a whole garden!” Justin said with his arms outstretched as he gazed out on the empty meadow. He envisioned it filled with his metal flowers. Brian gulped then pulled himself together. He always supported Justin’s art and this was no different even if Justin was about to turn his peaceful lane into a ‘henge.’

“Um, and what do you plan on calling your garden, Sunshine?” Brian asked cautiously. Justin turned and flashed his sunniest smile at his bilious looking spouse.

“Brian-henge!”

-TBC-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1047