Learning To Be Justin by starlight
Summary:

Justin leaves Pittsburgh after the Rage Party deciding it was time to find out who Justin Taylor is. 

 

Lorie thanks for helping me even when I put your stomach in knots by separating the boys.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Out of Character, What if...
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 49525 Read: 146465 Published: Jul 19, 2017 Updated: Oct 23, 2017
Chapter 21 by starlight

BRIAN


Watching Justin walk away through the gate wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Only because this time I knew where he was going and that he wasn’t leaving forever. We talked about children last night and after I explained why I wanted him to be the father, he agreed to surrogacy.


“I want to have what you have with Gus, to see you in our child.” I told him.


After hearing that, he agreed to at least one biological child with me. It’s not that I would love a child less if it wasn’t biologically one of ours. I just wanted one of our children to have the eyes that changed my life.


I’m sure Ted would tell you that the first few days he was gone weren’t the easiest days with me. Justin was busy and would call before he fell asleep. It was strange not having him in bed with me and it didn’t make me easy to deal with. Wes showed up when I was yelling at the idiots who couldn’t follow simple instructions.


“Brian, seriously, you lived six years without him. It’s only two weeks.” Wes tells me, handing a tissue to the artist who was standing there in tears. “Sweetheart, go clean up while I handle the scary man.” Wes tells her, pouring on the charm.


I rolled my eyes as she fell under his charm and left. “She’s going to be dreaming of you as her prince.” I tell him.


“Better that than the nightmare of a boss.” He jokes, as I flip him off. “Let’s go get lunch so the rest of your staff doesn’t quit.” He tells me.


We went to the diner and found Michael sitting there by himself. Wes shrugged and sat down.


“No Byron?” He asks.


“He told me he didn’t want to see me anymore. He said he wasn’t into clingy.” Michael tells him.


“He wasn’t the one, Mikey.” I tell him.


“I know. It’s just that everyone has someone except for me. I’m the one who wanted all the things that you used to make fun of, yet you get it.” He tells me.


“You could have what you want, but it would mean not throwing yourself at someone just because they were interested for five minutes. From what Ted told me, in every relationship you have, you seem to become the other person. Which means they don’t get to know you, but the persona you take on for them.” Wes tells him.


“I didn’t do that with Ben.” He tells him.


“He didn’t. But then he didn’t give Ben a reason to stay either. Michael, when I told you cheating was more than sex, it is. Ben felt like he was second in your life and left to find someone who would put him first. He didn’t leave you for any other reason. If you’d put the time into your relationship with Ben that you put in chasing me around, you’d still be with Ben.” I tell him.


“You needed me when Justin took off.” He tells me.


“So did Ben, but I guess Brian was right, that you weren’t as in love with him as you wanted everyone to believe.” Deb tells him.


“Sometimes I felt like a kid around him.” Michael tells us.


“Then he wasn’t right for you. The person who is right for you, doesn’t want to change you.” Wes tells him.


“What about you. Why aren’t you in a relationship if you know so much?” Michael asks.


“Because I won’t settle for ‘right now’. When I find the right person, I’ll do what Brian did and make it work.” Wes tells him.


“Why Justin?” Michael asks me.


“He makes me want things that I never wanted. He’s just the one I fell in love with. It’s not something I can explain to you, he’s just the one for me.” I tell him.


“For once don’t rush into something, make sure when you meet someone that you let them see the real you.” Wes tell him.


“I need to get to the shop.” Michael tells us, leaving.


“I wish he would meet someone.” Deb tells us, walking away.


“Be careful around Mikey, he might start looking at you.” I joke.


“Justin tells me that I have to stop trying to solve everyone’s problems. I hate when people are hurting, and it has to be hard on him to watch you and Justin together. He might be saying all the right things about knowing it wasn’t going to be him with you, but it would still hurt when he sees all of you guys happy and he’s still alone.” Wes tells me.


“If Justin didn’t come back, I’d be in the same boat.” I tell him.


“He really thought maybe you wanted Michael. When he decided to come back, he only planned to give Gus the teddy bear.” He tells me.


“He told me one night when Michael and I were fighting that he wanted someone to love him as much as I loved Michael. It’s just, if I wanted Michael, it shouldn’t have taken fourteen years for me to do anything about it. I gave Justin things I never gave Michael.” Then I asked him, “Why did he want to give Gus his teddy bear?”

.

“It was something Justin wanted to give to his child.” He tells me.


“He made me into the father I became. When Justin left, Gus seemed to know someone was missing. I remember showing up at the girl’s house one day and he was looking around me, like he was looking for Justin. I started showing up more because Gus needed me.” I tell him.


“Justin always thought you’d be a great father. He told me about you signing over your rights and said he’d never seen you that upset.” He tells me.


“It wasn’t the easiest decision, but for Gus, it was what he needed from me.” I tell him.


“Justin leaving you wasn’t the easiest decision for him either, but he thought you needed that from him.” He tells me.


“Why are you telling me this?” I ask.


“Because I don’t get why you're here when you want to be with him. Ted and Cynthia can handle everything, and would probably be thrilled to get you away from the poor artists.” He tells me, smirking.


“He told me that he was working around the clock right now. It’s not like he has time to entertain me.” I tell him.


“Then come with me and we’ll find things to do.” He tells me, laying the tickets on the table. “All you have to do is pack a bag.”


“Gus and the girls were going to meet me in California.” I tell him, trying to figure out why I’m arguing, when all I want is to be with Justin.


“I can fly back and get them. Are we done with any other excuses you have?” He asks.


“I guess it’s better to be there in person for his birthday, which was my plan. He probably thinks I forgot it.” I tell him, smirking.


“You already planned to go?” He asks.


“I wasn’t going to tell him. I wanted to show him that he is important to me.” I tell him.


“I can wait and come after if you want.” He tells me.


“Or you can help me convince the girls that Gus should come now.” I tell him.


“I can do that, apparently people like me.” He jokes.




This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1066