Fireworks by starlight
Summary:

After the first night, Brian didn't take Justin to meet Gus, and Justin didn't show back up but went on with his life.  They meet again when Justin is Jenny's pediatrician.

 

Lorie you are amazing and thank you for all the work you do everytime I send you things.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Out of Character, What if...
Genres: Alternate Canon, Humor
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 49381 Read: 187362 Published: Sep 02, 2017 Updated: Jan 26, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

 

 

I've always thought that if I met him again, there would be fireworks. Only the fireworks were a shouting match, and somehow I ended up being in the middle of parents at war with each other. It was almost sad the way none of them realized they were hurting the little girl sitting next to me. She was watching them, while they seemed to forget why we were even here. Her brother sat next to us, shrugging when they stormed off, apparently forgetting why they were called to my office.


“My dad is coming, he can usually make them stop.” Gus tells me.


“Are they always like this?” I ask him, because most parents want to know what the next step in treating their child would be, but this was like a blame game between the parents.


“My mom defers to Mama, Michael just likes to blame everyone.” He tells me.


“What the hell are you four yelling about now?” We hear, coming from outside my office.


“That’s my dad.” Gus tells me.


“Bine here?” Jenny asks, looking excited.


“Yep, he’s here and he’ll stop them.” Gus assures Jenny and me, which made me smile that he thought I needed reassurance.


“They waited too long before they brought Jenny in, and now she has hearing damage.” Michael-of-the-loud screech, tells them.


“Probably because you can’t talk in a normal tone.” Mel says loudly.


“Are you telling me that instead of checking with the doctor to see what can be done, you're outside his office, screaming at each other, trying to decide who’s to blame?” Gus’s dad can do sarcastic well.


“Dad cuts through the bull… well, you know.” Gus tells me.


“We just thought she was behind in speech.” Lindsay tells him.


“When you can’t hear the words, that tends to happen, but Jenny’s a smart girl, it’s why I suggested you have her checked out.” Gus’s dad tells them.


“What’s your dad’s name?” I ask.


“Brian Kinney.” He tells me.


It took me a second to realize that the man I wanted at seventeen was standing outside my office. Not that he would remember me, since we fucked and he kicked me out to go meet his son. I kept thinking Michael looked familiar, but I couldn’t place him, and really, I never talked to him, since Brian took off with me in his jeep. I guess maybe it was time to face the man who I thought was a god, but most likely is a middle aged man who no longer resembles the man I built up in my head. I looked at Gus again, and now could see that one day he could give Brian a run for his money in the looks department.


My door opened and they all filed in again, with Brian closing the door and telling them to sit down and shut up while he checked on Jenny and Gus.


“Can you tell me what’s going on?” Brian asks, and dammit, he’s still hot as hell.


“Do I have your permission?” I ask the parents of Jenny.


“Bine.” Jenny squeals and runs to him.


“It’s fine, we’re all her family.” Michael tells me.


“It’s not your decision Michael, and Jenny isn’t Brian’s.” Mel tells him, which really, is she not seeing Brian and Jenny together?


“Mama’s always pointing that out.” Gus whispers to me.


“Mel, there isn’t any reason Brian can’t know.” Lindsay tells me.


“Here comes the next fight.” Gus, my commentator, tells me.


“Not now. This is about Jenny, not you.” Brian tells them.


“Fine, tell him, because Michael and Ben will anyway.” Mel rolls her eyes.


“Jenny’s speech is only impaired because her hearing is. We can insert tubes and it could possibly be the only thing we have to do to get her to hear words and speak them correctly.” I tell him, glad that I could finally tell them it wasn’t the end of the world, just something a child with as many ear infections as Jenny has had would need.


“How did they miss this?” Michael scowls at the women.


“Michael’s a bit dense.” Gus whispers.


“How soon can we do this?” Brian asks.


“Don’t you think that’s something we should be asking?” Ben cuts in.


“I do. But it doesn’t seem to be being asked by any of the four of you. I figured Jenny needed to hear before she turned forty, since none of you will stop arguing until then.” Brian tells them.


My phone buzzed and I answered while they started a small bickering match. “Hey, I dropped Gwen off because I got called in for surgery. She’s waiting outside your office with Mary. Mary said you were almost done and could watch her. Sorry, but they had a pile up and needed more people in the ER.” Daphne tells me.


“It’s fine, hopefully I’ll be done in a second.” I tell her, hanging up to see that they were all silent and waiting for me. “Sorry, my daughter is waiting, so I’ll give you the name of a doctor who can explain everything and schedule an appointment for Jenny.” I tell them.


“Thank you, and sorry for the bickersons here, if there is anything else, call me.” Brian tells me, handing me his card.


“Why would he call you?” Mel gets up pissed.


“So he doesn’t waste his time, when none of you listened.” Gus tells her, showing me there was a lot of his father in him.


“Shi… Gus, you're right, we were just worried about Jenny.” Mel tells him, hugging him.


They all got up to leave and Gwen came flying past them. Brian smiled as she jumped in my arms.


“Daddy, I got bored. I was waiting forever for you.” Gwen tells me, then sees Brian. “Hi. You can go now. Daddy’s done.” She tells him, smiling away.


“Gwen, that wasn’t nice.” I tell her.


“Sorry. I’m hungry and Daddy needs to feed me.” She tells him, as if that was the best apology she could come up with.


“What she means is she’s sorry for sounding rude.” I tell him.


“I like when people get straight to the point.” Brian tells me, smiling at Gwen. “It’s good to see you didn’t waste away, loving me.” He smirks.

“You remember. Color me surprised.” I tell him.


“You left an impression. Just wasn’t the one I wanted at the time.” He tells me.


“I figured out you were right, and got on with my life.” I tell him.


“Married?” He asks.


“No. It never got that far. So I decided to have the things I wanted without the whole marriage thing.” I tell him.


“Call me. We could go out if you're free.” He tells me.


“My dating is limited to nights my mother is free to watch Gwen. The truth is, I don’t really go for the club scene anymore.” I tell him.


“I was looking for dinner, not a trick.” He tells me.


“Daddy, can we go?” Gwen asks, as her stomach signals it’s time to feed her.


“It was nice to see you again, but really, I’m busy and dating just takes time I don’t have.” I tell him.


BRIAN


Justin shepherded me to the door, before grabbing his things to leave. It took a minute, but when I saw his eyes sparkling at whatever Gus was telling him, I remembered him. Which, with the many guys running in and out of the loft, said a lot for Justin. He thinks I didn’t want him with the way I threw him out that night and left to go see Gus, but it was really not seeing a seventeen year old wanting an aging club boy, when there would be younger men throwing themselves at him.


I expected to see him again, but he never returned to Liberty Avenue. Eventually I filed him away as one of the best and went on to continue the life I wanted. Only now, the life I want isn’t sitting in Babylon waiting to see if there was anyone left to bother with. Age and cancer changes your views on life. I dated, but they never lasted long when instead of seeing a future all I could see was that I didn’t want them as part of mine. It probably had more to do with Michael thinking I should date men from his new social group. Which I did, but it was just to get him to stop springing them on me at work. I counted myself lucky when Lindsay was too busy being earth mother to join in Michael’s crusade to get me in a relationship.


Deb just snorted every time Michael brought in a new one. Telling me Michael was digging deep to get me to join stepfordville. I wanted someone whose first question wasn’t if I joined in the cause over a speed bump. Because really, if I was going to actually do this whole relationship thing, wanting to fuck the waiter wasn’t really the only thought I should have on a date.


Hopefully Justin will call, and for once I won't leave halfway through dinner to avoid sleeping through a date. Gus was waiting for me, telling me he'd rather ride in a car that didn’t have everyone still arguing.


“Why do they come together when none of them can do anything without arguing?” Gus asks.


Justin came out with his daughter, when it occurred to me that Gus should be hungry too. “We were going to get something to eat too, why not join us.” I tell him.


“Really. Using your kid to get a date?” Justin laughs, making things get obvious down below and making me wonder how someone laughing at me did that.


“If you don't, I'll end up eating things like kale.” Gus begs, proving he's my son, by helping his old man out on a date.


“Daddy, that boy needs real food.” Gwen says, telling me that she and Gus could be competing for best kid.


“Where?” Justin gives in.


“Pizza please, Daddy.” Gwen begs.


“Pizza is good.” Gus tells us.


“There's an Italian place we go, they serve healthy options while you salivate over the foods that at one time we could eat without spending days running it off.” Justin tells me.


“It doesn’t seem like you have a problem with that.” I tell him, liking that he still had the body I remembered.


“I was talking about you, if I remember your…” He stopped laughing when I scowled.


“I could show you not much has changed.” I tell him, smirking.


“How about we just actually get to know each other. It might show us we are still incompatible.” He tells me.


“I don’t think so, since I remembered you.” I tell him.


“Was it the name plate? Because you didn't seem to remember my name that night.” He tells me.


“Can you two wait to flirt over dinner?” Gus asks, while Gwen nods.


JUSTIN


The kids were playing in the arcade, after eating enough to make me jealous.


“How did you have Gwen?” He asks.


“I wanted a child and didn’t want to wait on a relationship, so I adopted her. Which was really one of the best things I ever did.” I tell him.


“Why not wait for a relationship?”


“Relationships weren’t something med school left time for, and when I did have time, the guys I went out with didn’t want to settle down like I did. I do occasionally date, but when Gwen needs me, I am there for her, and they weren’t interested in a guy with a kid. I wasn't interested in having someone else raise her so I could party with the guys.”


“Makes sense, but why date them if it was going to be a problem?” He asks.


“I do want a relationship, but the guys I attract aren’t looking for long term. What about you, I never thought you'd troll for dates with single fathers.” I tell him.


“I am a single father, only I come with crazy lesbians.” He tells me.  


“How's that working for you?” I ask, laughing when I remembered the women in the office.


 








Chapter 2 by starlight

JUSTIN


Brian ended up having to leave when his phone rang. I sat there listening while he had to explain why he didn’t bring Gus straight home. I didn’t really get why it was such a big deal when it was still really early. He hung up, not happy about the call.


“I have to get Gus back. Apparently Mel wanted him home for dinner with his mothers.” He tells me.


“Sounds like you guys get along about as well as a divorced couple.” I joke.


“Lindsay and I are good, and most days Mel and I are fine. She just doesn’t like it that Jenny and I get along.” He tells me.


“It’s always great for kids to have a large support system.” I tell him.


“I agree. Which is why she can get as pissed as she wants, it won’t change what I do for Jenny.” He tells me, getting up to get Gus..


“It was nice having dinner with you and Gus.” I tell him.


“How about we try it without Gus?” He asks.


“You’re persistent, and I would love to say yes, but most days I just want to go home, after working all day.” I tell him.


“Then I can bring dinner over.” He tells me.


“I like to cook, more than I like take-out.” I tell him.


“I’ll bring the ingredients.” He tells me.


“Fine, Friday then, because my mother wants to take Gwen with her for the weekend.” Giving in because I wanted to get to know the man I once thought was everything I wanted.


BRIAN


Gus and I were parked in front of the girl’s house. He didn’t get out like he usually did, but sat with me.


“Gwen said her dad never goes out.” He tells me.


“He agreed to dinner on Friday.” I tell him.


“I like him. He treated me and Jenny like we had brains in our heads.” He tell me.


“Your mothers are just worried, and they lose their minds when it comes to you and Jenny.” I tell him.


“Please. They all do. Normally Ben can at least be logical, but even he was acting like it was Mama and Mom's fault.” He tells me.


“It probably comes from years of dealing with your Uncle Mikey’s dramatics. Ben knows, until Mikey gets to be a drama queen, no one sleeps.” I joke.


“Do you like Dr Taylor?” He asks.


“I think I do, but we’ll wait and see.” I tell him, as he hugs me, getting out.


I drove to my loft, and seeing Michael sitting outside wasn’t really what I wanted. I knew it was more that I didn’t agree with him than anything else at Justin’s office.


“Mikey, I have an early meeting tomorrow.” I tell him.


“I came to tell you that I’m having a dinner party Friday. There’s a new guy Monty and Eli thought you should meet.” He tells me.


“I already have plans with someone Friday.” I tell him.


“Then change your plans and come over, your judgement in men leaves a lot to be desired.” He tells me.


“My taste just doesn’t run to the guys you keep showing up with. I support causes, but spending the entire evening talking about speed bumps and rallies about how to be the right kind of gay isn’t how I want to spend my night.” I tell him.


“If your taste is so great then who’s the date that you seem to think is better than the guys I introduce you to?” He asks me.


“No one you know. And until I decide for myself about him, you and the gang can stay out of it.” I tell him, leaving him on the sidewalk.


JUSTIN


The next morning, I dropped Gwen off with my mom and headed to work. Mary looked up at me shaking her head, which she does when we have the parents we call ‘special’. Which is usually first time parents, because by the second or third kid they figure out everything isn’t an emergency.


“Mr Novotny-Bruckner and Ms Peterson are waiting in your office. I tried to tell him you were booked, but he insisted on waiting for you in your office. And by the way, we are to refer to him as Mr Novotny-Bruckner,” She tells me, rolling her eyes.


“How did he get past you? You're normally a pitbull about who is allowed into my office," I ask.


“Apparently for his darling Honeybun, you need to re-explain it to him. He thinks it’s the moms fault. Ms. Peterson thinks you should tell him that most of the ear infections happened when JR stayed with Mr Novotny-Bruckner and his husband, not her and her wife. I want you to know, there are times when patients tell me things, but nothing like these two,” She tells me.


“This is why I chose to parent alone. No matter what happens there’s no one but me to blame,” I tell her, going into my office.

 

 

“Lindsay, until he answers my questions, you need to sit there and be quiet,” He tells her.


“He’s going to tell you what Mel and I told you, all those ear infections she got while staying with you caused her to lose her hearing,” She tells him.


“What I’m going to tell you both is ear infections happen. It doesn’t matter whether Jenny is with her fathers or her mothers. Some children are just more susceptible to them,” I tell them both.


“So tell Lindsay needs to stop blaming me and Ben,” He tells me.


“I will when you stop blaming me and Mel,” She tells him.


“If that was all, I have patients who already have appointments,” I tell them.


“Shouldn’t they have noticed that Honeybun had problems sooner?” He asks, and all I could see was Jenny rebelling to that name when her hearing got better.


“Not all kids start to talk at the same time in life, we thought maybe she was behind. Which, with your DNA, is definitely possible,” Lindsay hisses.


“I was talking early in life, Ma told me people were always commenting on how young I was when I started,” He tells her, acting superior.


“I’m sure they were just hoping you’d shut up. It’s what we all wish for everyday,” She tells him.


“Lindsay is correct, not all children do things at the same time, but as parents, you should all have noticed that she wasn’t responding when you spoke to her,” I tell them, wondering why I felt like a parent to two children. Well, most likely because they are children in grown up bodies.


“Ben and I only get Honeybun every other weekend. Lindsay and Mel act like we don’t know how to take care of her,” Michael tells me.


“Michael, you were feeding her cereal that you doused in sugar. Instead of the food we were sending with her,” She tells him.


“She doesn’t like that vegan shit you two think is all the rage,” He complains.


“We make her food homemade. It’s better than the stuff in the stores where they add all those preservatives. We want her to have a better diet than cheeseburgers dripping in grease,” She tells him.


“Okay, now that you two got that out, it’s time for you to go. Jenny isn’t going to get better just because you two want to argue with each other,” I tell them.


“He wants to blame us,” She tells me.


“It doesn’t change what happened, blame it on the wet winters if it will get you both to stop arguing.” I tell them.


“See, it wasn’t Ben and Me,” Michael tells her.


“Mr Novotny-Bruckner and Ms Peterson, she is going to get better and it might help her if her parents weren’t fighting when they should be paying attention to her,” I tell them.


They get up, still glaring at each other. Michael gives me a limp handshake. “My husband and I are hosting a dinner. I wanted to ask if you wanted to come. I have a lot of friends who would love to hear all about being a successful doctor. It’s this Friday, I invited an extra person to round out the numbers, but my best friend said he couldn’t make it. We would love to have you over so we don’t have an odd numbers,” He tells me.


“Mel and I were planning to invite you to dinner with us on Friday. My son seems to like you,” Lindsay tells me, as they both look at me for an answer.


“I have plans with a friend,” I tell them, wondering why they thought to include me.


“You could bring your friend with you to my house,” Michael tells me, which, wouldn’t they still have an odd number?


“Mel and I could just add an extra person,” Lindsay tells me.


“We both wanted to have dinner alone,” I tell them.


“My invitation is open if you change your mind. The people who attend my dinners are family oriented, and you could pick up a few clients,” Michael tells me, opening the door to my overflowing office.


“Thanks, but as you can see, my patients are waiting,” I tell them, holding the door open.


BRIAN


Ted and I were looking over a campaign, but my mind was on Justin. I wanted this date to lead to more, but my dating history wasn’t what you would call successful.


“What do you and Blake do on dates?” I ask.


“Avoid Michael’s cult of ‘we wish we were straight but can at least pretend’,” He jokes.


“After you manage to avoid it, then what?” I ask.


“Dinner, a movie, and talk. We really just prefer quiet nights together,” He tells me. “Why are you asking?” He asks.


“I want to make a better impression than I did the first time,” I mumble.


“What did you do the first time?” He asks.


“Took his virginity and kicked him out,” I shrug.


“How did you manage to get him to agree for round two?” He asks, laughing.


“I asked until he agreed,” I tell him.


“What were your plans before asking me?” Ted asks.


“He’s cooking dinner for us,” I tell him.


“Call Emmett and have him make dinner for you. Then you two can relax and get to know each other. Emmett was looking for a reason he could tell Michael ‘no’ to he and Drew going to Michael’s cult night,” He tells me.


“Why do you guys go if you don’t want to?” I ask.


“Hello! You do remember your best friend, and what he’s like until we all agree to do what he wants. It wasn’t bad, until he and Ben moved and decided to drink the kool aid. Ever since then, even when Michael wants us to hang out at Babylon, he sits and disapproves of every person who comes to dance and have fun. Blake made me dance off the ten pounds I was complaining about to avoid listening to Michael,” He tells me.


“He thinks Blake should be preaching to every kid who gets high. Michael doesn’t get why Blake is standing up at rallies and blaming the clubs for the drug problems,” I tell him.


“It’s why Blake and I made plans to take Poppy to the movie she wanted to see Friday. Apparently the cult is planning to host an evening to show the party kids that playing charades can be just as fun as hooking up. I told him no when he thought we should bring our daughter, we want to spend time with Poppy, not fall asleep,” He tells me.


“Where do they plan to host the evening?” I ask.


“I think Michael thinks Emmett and I would convince you to let his group use Babylon. Which is why the four of us are staying far away,” He tells me.


“I’m shocked that Lindsay and Mel aren’t attending,” I tell him.


“They’re still pissed at each other, which saves you from both of your best friends nagging you to let them do it. Who are you going out with?” He asks.


“The doctor they took Jenny to, he was the kid I left with the night Gus was born,” I tell them.


“Dr. Taylor?” He asks.


“You’ve met Justin?” I ask.


“He’s everyone’s favorite pediatrician. When we took Poppy to him, he took time with her and answered every question we had and even ones she asked. It’s why I suggested to Mel and Lindsay that they go to him when they wanted change doctors for Jenny and Gus. The pediatrician they had barely spent ten minutes with the kids before letting the nurse take over,” He tells me.


“Gus likes him, he said Justin treated him like he had a brain,” I tell him, smiling.


When Cynthia raised her voice, we knew it could only mean Michael or Lindsay tried to barge into my office. Unfortunately it was both of them, as we found out when my door flew open.


“Brian, can you tell Lindsay she needs to stop blaming everything on Ben and me,” Michael demands.


“JR comes home sick all the time when you and Ben have her. Which, if you had let Dr Taylor listen to me, he would have told you that it’s your fault JR has hearing problems,” She tells him.


“All of you ignored Jenny. Which makes it the fault of all four of you. Brian was the one who finally make you guys pay attention to the fact that Jenny only responded when she was looking directly at the person talking,” Ted tells them.


“Honeybun responded to me,” Michael screeches.


“How could she not when you yell everything,” Lindsay tells him.


“Why were you at Justin’s office?” I ask, because neither of them ever understands there are times and places for everything, example, my office during business hours.


“Who?” Michael asks.


“Dr Taylor,” Ted tells him.


“Why are you calling him Justin?” Lindsay asks.


“Why are you two avoiding my question?” I ask.


“I wanted him to tell Lindsay that she and Mel should have known something was wrong with Honeybun,” Michael tells me.


“I wanted Dr Taylor to tell Michael that JR getting sick at his house was the cause of JR’s hearing problem,” Lindsay tells me.


“What did he say?” I ask.


“He told us to quit blaming each other and help JR get better,” Lindsay said, before Michael could answer.


“So you left his office and came here to get me to decide which one of you was most to blame?” I ask, pointing at the door.


“Briii-aaan,” They both started whining.


“Out. If you two want to fight, do it at home,” I tell them.

 

“Make sure Emmett goes all out for your date. Because, after dealing with Lindsay and Michael, he’s most likely wondering if you’re even worth the aggravation,” Ted tells me.

Chapter 3 by starlight

BRIAN


I looked over at Justin, trying to figure out how we ended up in bed. I came over with dinner, but somehow it's still in the kitchen uneaten and we're in bed exhausted after the second round. Which all together was close to three hours after I arrived. He got up, walking out naked and coming back minutes later with a tray of food.

 

“I need to recharge,” Justin smirks.


“I’m not complaining, but I thought we’d be eating dinner first,” I tell him, taking a bite of the food he held out to me.


“It’s been awhile, and when you showed up, food was the last thing on my mind. At least it made it to the kitchen. Thanks for bringing it,” Justin tells me.


“My CFO, Ted Schmidt, suggested it after you had to deal with Lindsay and Michael,” I tell him.


“Poppy’s father?” He asks.


“You remember all your patients?” I ask.


“I like to know them, it makes it so they feel comfortable talking to me,” He tells me.


“Gus says he likes how you treat him and Jenny like they have brains,” I tell him.


“Just because they’re kids doesn’t make them incapable of understanding, and they should know what’s happening when it’s about them,” He tells me.


“Some doctors don’t really care beyond the diagnosis,” I tell him.


“Bad experience?” He asks.


“Cancer tends to be a bad experience all around,” I tell him.


“It’s never a diagnosis that anyone wants to give a patient. Are you still being treated?” He asks.


“I’ve been cleared, but am still being checked every year because my father died of cancer. What made you decide to become a pediatrician?” I ask him, changing the subject when I couldn’t figure out why I told him.


“Daphne and I both decided to, since we both wanted to help people. She’s a trauma surgeon, too high stress for me. I’ve always liked kids, so I went that direction,” He tells me.


“You never came back to Liberty Avenue?” I ask.


“After you, I got what I wanted, experience, and didn’t really see the point when you shoved me out the door. It took me a while to see we weren’t going to be the love story of the century,” He tells me.


“We wouldn’t have been. Back then I didn’t see the point in a relationship,” I tell him.


“Now you do?” He asks, feeding me.


“I’m not opposed to it, just haven’t found anyone. My best friend and his husband keep setting me up with the men in their circle, and if I wanted to date a cause, they’d be perfect,” I tell him.


“Michael invited me to dinner tonight at his house, then Lindsay invited me to her house. Do they always compete with each other?” He asks.


“Until Jenny was born, they barely talked to each other. Now they can’t seem to agree on anything and spend all day trying to blame the other,” I tell him.


“Not even her name. What’s with the Honeybun and JR?” He asks.


“Michael thinks pet names show love. JR even I don’t understand. I finally broke Lindsay of calling Gus ‘Lambskin’ in front of his friends,” I tell him.


“Hopefully they’ll stop trying to blame each other and see Jenny is going to need them to be united in helping her,” He tells me.


“I’ll be there either way,” I tell him.


“Why didn’t they ask you to be Jenny’s father? They already had Gus with you,” He asks.


“We didn’t agree on a lot of things when it came to Gus. Mel and I fought constantly and she knew I wouldn’t sign over my rights a second time,” I tell him.


“Why did you do it the first time? I’m not judging you, just asking,” He tells me.


“I wanted Gus to be raised in a loving home. The first time they handed me the papers to sign him over, I remember looking at him and not being able to sign the papers because he was the first person I loved. Then Lindsay and Mel broke up with each other and I didn’t want him shuffled from one house to the other. They love Gus, but tend to forget anything but themselves when they have problems. I agreed to give up Gus if they agreed to give him a stable home. So far they’ve managed it, even when they drive Gus crazy,” I tell him.


“Daphne and I talked about wanting children, but didn’t want problems later if we got in other relationships. I adopted Gwen and Daphne is one of her favorite aunts,” He tells me.


“Who’s the other?” I ask.


“My sister Molly,” He tells me.


“How do your parents feel about you adopting?” I ask.


“My mom loves Gwen, my father isn’t really as involved. He doesn’t think gay people should raise a child. He really doesn’t believe gay people should exist,” He tells me.


“Yet, he had a gay son,” I tell him.


“Only if he has to admit it. He divorced my mom and married another woman who shares his views. She doesn’t like to be reminded that Molly or I exist. Which bothers my sister, but just makes my life easier,” He tells me.


“I don’t have any contact with my mother. After my father died it was easier to send a check to keep her away. I had Michael’s mom to make up for the lacking in my parents,” I tell him.


“My mom stuck by me. It was hard for her at first but in the end she said loving me was more important to her than losing me,” He tells me.


“Deb did that for all of us, she can't understand how parents don't just love their kids,” I tell him.


“It's their loss, because they miss out. Meanwhile we get the honor of raising our kids and loving them for who they are,” He tells me.


JUSTIN


I'm a complete slut. Brian comes over looking way too good and the last thing I thought about was eating dinner. When he took off his coat, I took off his shirt and then unzipped him. He didn’t resist when I took him in my mouth and had no problem helping me undress when we reached my bedroom. Once again we were all over each other.


We didn't even make it to the bed but ended up with me against the wall as he rimmed me until I screamed, and then was thrusting into me as he grabbed my cock and hammered into me while stroking me. I came like the first night, but he just kept going until I came again. Then I was on my knees taking him in my mouth again until he spilled down my throat.


We got in the shower where I showed him I had learned what rimming was. At first he braced his hand on the wall and stilled as I separated his cheeks with my hands and licked around him, then he was stroking himself as I entered him with my fingers. I grabbed a condom, and realized this was not something he did.


“Just go slowly,” He told me.


I didn’t rush, but did what he did for me. Making sure he was comfortable before moving faster. There wasn't a rush, because after cumming twice, I knew it would be a while. He turned his head and tangled our tongues together while we moved together. We both came just as the water started getting cold, and kissed while drying each other off.


At that point, I needed food if we were going to keep up this pace. Brian and I sat talking about life and his friends and then my family and friends. It was getting late, but since I was child free I didn’t want him to go.


“You can stay if you want,” I tell him.


“Only if we actually do something together tomorrow,” He tells me.


“You really want to date?” I ask.


“I want more than a one night stand. We can at least see if there's a possibility of more,” He tells me.


When I laid down, Brian pulled me to him and we fell asleep entwined. I woke up to Daphne and Brian talking. She handed me a cup of coffee, waiting until I drank half to quiz Brian and I.


“So how did dinner turn into a sleepover?” She jokes.


“It's his fault. I had every intention of eating. He just looked too good,” I tell her.


“All I did was take off my coat. You're the one who decided I was still overdressed,” Brian smirked, getting up and heading to the shower.


“You think he would mind being shared?” Daphne asks, sighing at the beauty of Brian.


“Stop drooling. This one plays for my team,” I tell her.


“You insisted it was just dinner, otherwise I wouldn’t have come for our usual Saturday. I will say though, the sights I got to see don't make me regret showing up,” She tells me.


“I can't even explain what happened. I don't regret it though,” I tell her.


“What’s he like?” She asks.


“He’s different, but really I didn’t know him the first time, so I don’t really have anything to compare him to. We talked a lot and he told me he wanted to at least see if there was a possibility of a relationship. Gwen likes him, so I don’t see why we can’t at least get to know each other. Other than his friends driving me insane the other day, I like him,” I tell her.


“What’s their problem?” She asks, as Brian comes out of bathroom.


“They thought it would be great to have a kid together. Unfortunately they can’t agree on how to raise Jenny or who to blame if Jenny gets sick,” Brian tells her.


“Why did they think they should have a kid together, then?” Daphne asks him.


“Lindsay and Mel thought Michael agreed to be a dad in name only. They didn’t realize they were birthing the Messiah, and that Michael moving into stepford central would mean he liked showing off with the rest of the neighborhood that he was father of the year,” Brian tells her.


“Hope he enjoys it when Jenny becomes a teen and Honeybun rebels at being called Honeybun,” I tell him.


“Jenny will rebel as soon as her hearing improves,” Brian tells us.


“What do you want to do today?” I ask.


“Breakfast?” Brian asks.


“Give me time to dress,” I tell him.


“I guess I’ll see you later,” Daphne tells us.


“Why not come with us, you can both meet Deb,” Brian tells us.


 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

BRIAN


I figured Michael would be eating his normal brunch with his neighbors, since he didn't like them coming to the diner after the first time. Deb made sure they got the full experience of the diner. After having to wait as they complained about the food, the clientele, and how the topics of conversations were the reason straight people saw gay people as inferior Deb got their orders, calmly waited until they started lecturing the street hustlers about getting real jobs then she brought over a plate of corn dogs and told them once they finished eating them they could each replace the sticks in their asses with a new one, as all the other diners cheered her on. Michael decided not to bring his new friends there again.


When we walked in, Deb was talking to Emmett, but broke into a big smile when she looked up. No doubt Emmett had filled her in on everything, probably making bets on if the date lasted longer than twenty seconds.


“Have a seat, and I’ll be right there,” Deb tells us, grabbing a coffee pot.


“Are you going to introduce us?” Emmett asked, sitting next to Daphne, as Deb hurried over.


“Justin, Daphne, this is Emmett and Deb. If you don’t want the world to know your secrets don’t tell it to the Queen, or his minion, ” I tell them.


“How did you and Brian meet?” Deb asks, smacking me for my comment.


“He’s Jenny and Gus’s pediatrician, Dr Taylor,” I tell her.


“Sorry about my son,” Deb tells him, laughing.


“It’s been interesting, but nothing I don’t deal with when parents worry,” Justin tells her.


“Sweetie, we’ve all been hearing it. You can say it, they're one step from the Hatfields and the Mccoys,” Emmett tells him.


“Never mind my son, the ‘expert’ in child rearing. What do you think of this one?” She asks sticking her thumb at me.


“He’s growing on me,” Justin tells me, rubbing his hand over my hard on.


“DR TAYLOR!!!” Poppy screams, running ahead of Ted and Blake.


“What about AUNTIE EM?” Emmett pouts, giggling at Poppy, who is climbing over me to get to Justin.


“Hi Auntie Em,” Poppy tells Emmett while staring at Justin. “I ate all my vegetables, and my daddies took me to see a movie. I made sure to brush my teeth really good. My daddies didn’t even have to tell me to, cause I wanted to make sure I still had my pretty smile you like,” Poppy tells Justin.


“She seems to have a little crush on you,” Blake tells Justin.


“It seems all kids do when it comes to Justin,” Daphne tells us.


“I guess Lindsay and Michael didn’t scare you off,” Ted tells Justin.


“It wasn’t as bad as you and Brian seem to think. I've had worse come in for a cold that somehow the parents thought was an exotic disease because they looked up the symptoms, and some of them matched a cold,” Justin tells us. “Okay, so they were a little over the top,” He concedes, when he could tell none of us were buying it.


“Dr Taylor, why are you with him?” Poppy whispers, pointing at me.


“He's someone I like,” He tells her.


“I like Gus, but it's a secret. My daddies told me you were too old for me,” She whispers to him, loud enough for all of us to hear and laugh.


“Poppy, how about we let Dr Taylor eat?” Blake asks.


“Okay, but Mr Brian better be nice to Dr Taylor,” She tells me, adding a glare to warn me, before kissing my cheek.


“You've been warned,” Emmett tells me, laughing as he went to join Blake and Ted.


“Have Brian bring you to dinner one night. I like to get to know anyone involved with my boys,” Deb tells him, before wandering off.


“I like your friends,” Justin tells me.


“Remember that, and excuse the others when they realize were seeing each other,” I tell him.


“Why?” Daphne asks.


“They tend to say things about my past that make me sound like an asshole. Some of it was true before, but it's not true now,” I tell them.


“If I have a problem with something they say, I'll ask. Otherwise I’ll go with what you show me is the real you,” Justin tells me.


We finished eating with Justin promising not to judge Deb based on what Michael says or does. Daphne took off, saying she needed to get some sleep. Justin and I walked around looking at the shops, stopping when he wanted to look for something for Gwen. Then pointing out things that Gus or Jenny would like. Telling me he got kids comfortable by talking about what they like to do. He didn’t make it sound like a big deal that he didn’t just treat his patients and forget them. We ended up back at my loft, once again tearing off our clothes. I laid there catching my breath, thinking something was wrong when we couldn’t get enough of each other.


“What is it about you that turns me into a sex starved slut?” Justin asks, looking at me.


“Not complaining, since it works for me,” I tell him, leaning in to kiss him.


My door opened and I groaned, because it could only be one of two people. Justin gave me a look, one that asked why people have keys.


“There was a time in my life where I stupidly thought they understood what an emergency key is for. Stay here and I'll get rid of the person,” I whisper.


“Briiiii...aan, are you here?” Michael screeches.


“Michael, we should have called him, instead of just showing up,” Ben admonishes him.


Too bad Ben didn’t listen to himself but just barged right in with Michael. I walked out after throwing on sweats and walking to the kitchen to keep them from seeing Justin in my bed. Michael trying to see into the bedroom was a strong argument for installing doors to the bedroom, or possibly changing my locks.


“What are you two doing in my den of sin? Wait, or is it wanting to use my den for a cause?” I ask, making coffee.


“Brian, we just want to help kids not to think following in your footsteps will lead them to the success you became in life and in the bedroom,” Mikey jokes, which was an example of what Justin would be dealing with.


“They come to party, not sit with Ma and Pa while you try to assimilate them into your cult,” I tell him.


“So I guess the date didn’t go well last night,” Michael says, holding up Justin’s briefs.


“It went. But like I told you, until I know where it’s going I don’t plan on talking about it,” I tell him, grabbing them out of Michael’s hands.


“If it did then why are you screwing up already with a trick? Unless it was just a trick with food last night. We had to order out, because Emmett made it sound like your date was more important that my dinner party,” Mikey complains.


“We can’t expect Emmett to always help us, especially when you don’t plan ahead. He has other clients,” Ben tells him.


“He should be happy to help, since the parties we have are with people wanting to help the gay community,” Mikey tells him.


“If it was more than for your neighborhood, then I’m sure Emmett would,” I tell them, thinking that the block party they threw to save the playground didn’t really give Emmett a reason to turn down paying clients.


“We also want to help get hustlers off the street. If I hadn’t been partying with you every night, Hunter might not have ever had to do the things he did,” Mikey tells me.


“Remind me again how you didn’t even want Hunter because he was a street hustler, and ‘someone who could rob you blind’,” I tell him, rolling my eyes.


“I didn’t know him then,” Mikey tells me, like that made any sense.


“Why are you here? I assumed you guys would be busy talking about the dinner party with Marve and Eddy,” I tell him.


“It’s Monty and Eli,” Michael tells me.


“Okay, but why are you here?” I ask.


“I wanted to talk to you about Jenny and Gus. I’m tired of the girls treating both of us like we don’t have a say in the kid’s lives. If we show them that we support each other they’ll figure out they can’t run over us,” He tells me.


“Right now I only care that Jenny can hear. I don’t support you or the girls for caring more about who to blame,” I tell them, as we hear my bathroom door shut. “I have plans, so it’s time for you to go,” I tell them.


“Way to show your concern for my Honeybun,” He grumbles, as I open my door.


“Brian doesn’t have to hold your hand, he’s allowed a life,” Ben tells him.


“He’s been telling us he wants a relationship, but once again he’s tricking the day away. What’s the count up to three, four, or five tricks today?” Mikey says loudly.


The bathroom door opens and Justin comes out dressed. “I need to get back to my house. If you want to come over after your friends visit, I’ll cook this time,” Justin tells me, kissing me. “I enjoyed last night... and all day today,” He tells me, smiling at Michael and Ben.


“Brian was the reason you didn’t come over to my dinner?” Michael asks him.


“Michael,” Ben warns.


“At least he would have met people who were interested in a relationship. Which Brian keeps saying he wants, but apparently lied about, since it’s obvious what they were doing,” Michael tells us.


“Michael, leave it alone,” Ben tells him.


“Jason was disappointed when he thought Brian was serious,” Mikey tells me and Ben.


“Why would he be disappointed, and who the hell is Jason?” I ask.


“It’s been interesting, but I’m going to go,” Justin tells me, shaking his head at Michael.


“My friend Walter was excited when I mentioned you,” Michael tells Justin, making me want to shove Michael down the stairs.


“Great, but I’m seeing Brian right now and unless that changes, well even if it does, Walter will just have to get excited about someone else,” Justin tells him, walking out and running down the stairs.


“Brian, he’s not your normal type. Why waste his time when he could meet someone else?” Michael yells as Ben pulls him out the door.


I texted Justin, hoping he hadn’t really gone to his house. ‘They’re gone, you can come back now,’

 

‘Food is a must, be back when I finish picking up dinner and breakfast.’ He replies, making me smile that he planned to still be here tomorrow.

Chapter 5 by starlight

JUSTIN


Brian walked me to my car, and we ended up all over each other. He kissed me one last time before walking to his car and waving as he pulled away. I needed to pick Gwen up and take her to school before going to work. The whole drive I couldn’t get Brian out of my head, which hadn’t been a problem in other relationships for me. I even agreed to let him come to dinner tonight with Gwen and me, which I never do when it’s this new. It’s not like Gwen didn’t already meet him, but hopefully tonight we can keep our hands off each other.


Brian asked me to ignore any questions about us if asked by Lindsay and Michael. He told me while they all seem to want him in a relationship, they also wanted to give advice that we didn’t need. I let him know that after having to referee between them, I completely agree with him.


“Did you miss me?” Gwen asks.


“I always miss you. Did you have a good time with Nana?” I ask.


“We saw the castles, but didn’t see any ghosts,” She tells me, sounding disappointed.


“I don’t think Nana took you hoping to see one,” I tell her.


“Gus is going to be so disappointed there weren’t any,” She tells me, getting in the car.


“How was your weekend?” Mom asks, bringing me Gwen’s bag.


“Same as always,” I tell her, not wanting to bring up Brian yet.


“Gwen and her new friend Gus let me know you might be seeing Gus’s father,” She hints.


“We had dinner, but it's still new. Until we're sure of where it's going, I want to keep it between Brian and me,” I tell her, getting in the car.


“Did you like what Gus’s daddy did?” Gwen asks.


All the things Brian and I did raced through my head, but I didn’t think that was what Gwen was asking. “What did Gus tell you his dad did?” I ask.


“He said his Daddy bought you dinner. So, did you like it?” She asks me.


“When did you and Gus start calling each other?” I ask.


“He gave me his phone number when we had dinner with them. Gus said we needed to help you two, cause his dad stinks at dating,” She tells me.


“I'm sure Brian will appreciate Gus’s help,” I tell her, laughing.


BRIAN


Justin called to let me know our kids were rooting for us. Which explained Lindsay at my office this morning. Ted had been waiting for our normal Monday meeting, and tried to leave when he saw Lindsay sitting in front of my desk, I pointed to the couch and Ted resigned himself to sitting in.


“Gus has a new friend,” She tells me.


“He's a popular kid,” I tell her, looking through my email.


“Brian, we like Dr Taylor,” Lindsay tells me.


“And?” I ask, when I could tell she wanted to say more.


“Brian, don’t take this the wrong way, but wouldn’t it be better for you to see someone else? We don’t want it to get awkward when you get bored with him. The last thing we need is to have to change doctors again because you do what you always do,” She tells me.


“I’m going to tell you the same thing I told Michael. What I do or don’t do with Justin is none of your business. I think you need to worry more about making sure Jenny has four parents who get along,” I tell her.


“You have to understand why we are concerned. You haven’t managed to break your one time only rule, even with dates. We don’t need things to get awkward with Dr Taylor,” She tells me.


“It couldn’t be any more awkward than you and Michael sitting in his office like two children in the principal’s office, trying to say it was the other person’s fault, not yours,” I tell her.


“You could help Mel and me by agreeing to come over for dinner. Mel and I thought it would be a good way to show that we all support each other in raising Gus, unlike how it’s been with JR,” She tells me, ignoring what I said.


“I’m not getting in the middle of this- the four of you need to deal with your problems. You and Mel asked Michael to be the father, and then act surprised when he behaves like Michael,” I tell her.


“We don’t expect you to solve our problems, just help show Michael that you trust us raising Gus,” Lindsay tells me, as Ted chokes on his drink.


“As interesting as dinner will probably be, sorry I have plans that I don’t intend to change. Since it’s my night with Gus, using him to get me to come to dinner won’t work,” I tell her.


“Why not bring your date with you? We’d all like to get to know him,” She tells me, as Ted shakes his head when she didn’t give up.


“I would, but I have a feeling an evening with you and Michael might have Justin deciding I’m not worth seeing,” I tell her.


“If you're serious about him, I would think you’d want your friends to get along with him. I need to go so I can get things for dinner. I’ll see you at six,” She tells me, leaving as if my presence at her dinner was decided.


“My friends can’t even get along with each other,” I tell Ted.


“I hope your plans are at Justin’s house and not your loft, because you know them, they’ll all show up there when you don’t show up at the girls.” Ted tells me.


“He said we could grill and let the kids go swimming. If you and Blake want to bring Poppy, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind,” I tell him.


“I’ll call Blake and ask him, just make sure Justin doesn’t mind,” He tells me.


“It would probably help us keep it G rated for the night,” I tell him, as he laughs, walking out my door.


JUSTIN


Brian and I were in the kitchen, when the kids came running by to go swimming. Ted and Blake agreed to sit outside and watch them while Brian and I got everything ready for the grill. Brian was going through my cabinets while talking to Emmett on the phone. He said Emmett made a citrus marinade that he liked, then called to find out what was in it. After a couple minutes Brian told Emmett just come over.


“Emmett’s recipes come with Emmett,” Brian tells me, putting his head on my shoulder.


“In other words you want two more friends to come over?” I ask, kissing him.


“More like my friends are curious about you,” He tells me.


“Why? It’s not like you haven’t dated,” I tell him.


“None of them ever made it past the first date,” He tells me.


“So they think I’m different?” I ask.


“I asked you on a second date, which I’ve never done,” He tells me, kissing me.


“Mr Brian, why are you kissing Dr Taylor?” Poppy whispers.


“They like each other, duh,” Gus tells her.


“I like Dr Taylor too, but I don’t get to kiss him,” She tells him.


“My dad's too old for you,” Gwen tells her.


BRIAN


“Is there something you guys need?” Justin asks, barely controlling his laughter.


“We're hungry, we were sent in to tell you Uncle Blake got the grill ready,” Gwen tells Justin.


“Uncle Blake?” Justin asks.


“Gus told me we were all family since his dad likes you,” She tells him.


The doorbell rang and the kids took off to answer. Emmett came in, looking over the food then drowned everything in the marinade he brought over.


“It just needs to sit a minute then we can toss it on. So this is where you disappeared to, Michael is ready to report you missing,” Emmett says, smiling at me.


“I'm still trying to figure out why he thinks you're missing, since the girls told him you took Gus with you,” Drew tells me.


“Probably because Lindsay commanded Brian to appear to play mediator at their dinner tonight,” Ted tells him, coming in to grab the food for the grill.


“She actually commanded you to appear?” Justin asks.


“They always do, Baby. They forget that Brian plays by no one's rules,” Emmett tells him.


We followed Ted out to the patio, and let Drew and Justin help Blake put the food on. The kids jumped back in the pool while the rest of us sat talking.


“Just to let you know, Gus and the girls are planning your dates,” Blake tells us.


“Gwen told me Gus thinks Brian stinks at dating,” Justin says, laughing.


“It's not because of me, it's because the guys I went out with tended to make me question why I was there,” I tell him.


“Why didn’t you tell Michael to quit setting you up?” Drew asks.


“Honey, you do remember it's Michael, right?” Emmett asks.


“Never mind. I'm just glad he gave up on you,” Drew tells Emmett.


“He tried, but gave up when I told him this Queen would never join their wannabe straight queer cult,” Emmett answers.


“He apparently thinks Walter is a great choice for Justin,” I tell them, as they all start laughing their asses off.


“What about Jason, apparently he's disappointed you didn’t show,” Justin smirks.


“I don't even know who the fuck that is,” I tell him.


“Um Brian, you went out with Jason a couple of weeks ago,” Ted tells me.


“Which makes me wonder why Jason was disappointed, since I don't remember him,” I tell him.


“Why was Walter so funny?” Justin asks.


“Honey, if you look up boring in the dictionary, it has Walter’s picture there. He's a math professor at Ben’s college. Michael always tries to set up people with Walter first,” Emmett tells him.


“He set all of you up with Walter?” Justin asks.


“Only me, since Michael thinks math and accounting are the same thing. Michael told me Emmett scares Walter, and Walter didn’t want Brian,” Ted tells him.


“The feeling’s mutual, nothing against Wally. I might have finally decided I wanted more than a trick, but my standards haven't changed,” I tell him.


“Interesting, is that all standards?” Ted asks, lifting a brow.


“All, Ted. Lucky for me, Justin fits them,” I smirk.


GUS


Gwen and Poppy sat with me at the steps of the pool. Gwen and I had to convince Poppy to help us. I like Dr Taylor, and want my dad to not screw up. After listening to my Mom and Mama, I figured if Dad was going to actually keep Dr Taylor, he need all the help he could get.


Michael told me after the fifth date that went nowhere, that my dad is too picky. I really think it's because Michael picks guys that are sort of like Michael. When I mentioned it to Dad, he thought about it and said that explained the comic book geek from the other night.


My Mom was staying out of it because she still believes no one should tame Brian Kinney, but started telling Mama that maybe they should start arranging for Dad to meet some of the men at the GLC. At that point I knew it was time to help, because Phillip was everything my father hates in men, yet my Mom thinks he could be a good role model for me. Where she got the idea that a gay man who follows Tannis around like a puppy is a good role model is anyone's guess. I like Dr Taylor, because my dad has never looked at anyone the way he does Dr Taylor.


“I don't think they need our help. Dr Taylor is doing that thing my dads do,” Poppy tells us.


“You don’t have to call him Dr Taylor. What do your dads do?” Gwen asks.


“They always touch when they're in a room together, but not as much as Mr Brian seems to with Dr… what do I call him?” Poppy whispers.


“Uncle Jus, since I get to call your dads' Uncle.” Gwen tells her.


“We need to figure out how to make sure my dad takes Jus out on dates that he likes. My dad really doesn’t get the whole dating thing,” I tell them.


“My dad doesn't date either, so I'll have to quiz him on what he likes,” Gwen tells me.


“We should get Uncle Em to help. I mean, he plans weddings, so he must know what it takes to get them married like you want,” Poppy tells me.


“I didn’t say married, but you know, stick around after one date. My Mama said something about my dad only liking Trix,” I tell them.


“My dad doesn't like Trix,” Gwen tells me.


“I don’t think my Dad does either, because he looked at me like I was crazy when I asked where they were one morning at his place,” I tell her. I wonder why Mama thinks that.


“I'll ask Auntie Em to help. You two find out what your dads like to do when they go out on a date,” Poppy tells us.


“My dad usually eats Frosted Flakes, so maybe get your dad to like that instead,” Gwen tells me.



Chapter 6 by starlight

JUSTIN


Have you ever felt like someone was stalking you, but whenever you turn to look, you don’t see anyone? It started after my very interesting breakfast with Gwen, who asked me why we don’t eat Trix. She seemed to think this was important, so I explained it’s just one of those cereals that I never liked. She told me that maybe it was time to expand my horizons. As we were driving to school, she was quizzing me on what I like to do when I go out. When I asked her why, her answer was that as much as Gus thinks his dad stinks at dating, she didn’t see me being any better at it since the only person she knew I went out with was Auntie Daphne. Brian and I already knew the kids seemed to think we needed help. And really, the less they know about how our three day date went, the better.


After texting Brian about the conversation with Gwen, I went to work. It wasn’t until lunch that I got the feeling someone was following me. Brian called this morning saying he had time for lunch if I wanted to come to Kinnetik, and said just to tell Deb to send his usual. It was when I was leaving the diner after promising Deb I would show up for dinner Sunday that the feeling of someone following me started, but every time I looked around, I didn’t notice anyone paying attention to me. When I got in my car, I looked up and saw Michael running towards my car, yelling something I couldn’t hear. I waved, but didn’t stick around, assuming this was something Brian warned me about. I got to Kinnetik to find Lindsay sitting in the lobby looking annoyed. The receptionist looked up at me when I walked up, but insisted that unless I was on the list, that I needed to make an appointment. Apparently Brian didn’t tell her I was coming, so I asked if she could at least tell Brian I was here.


“They’re like guard dogs,” Lindsay muttered.


“Ms Peterson, Mr Kinney is in a meeting and left strict instructions that unless I could prove it was an emergency, that my future career would include flipping burgers. I understand that normally you come in here and make yourself at home, but today he’s meeting with an important client and instructed me to tell anyone who came in without an appointment that the Kinney Daycare is closed,” She tells her, trying not to snicker.


“He asked me to come by with lunch, but if he’s busy can you at least give this to him for me,” I asked, when the explanation made sense to me. It was probably why he hadn’t answered my text I sent that I was on my way with lunch.


“That shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll make sure he knows you came by,” She tells me, relieved that I didn’t throw a fit for expecting her to go against what Brian told her.


When I went to leave, Lindsay got up and followed me out of the building. I was hoping she was leaving since she couldn’t see Brian, but no, she followed me to my car.


“Did you need something?” I asked.


“We should get to know each other, since Brian skipped out on us last night. You know, his best friends, to be with you,” She tells me, not sounding upset, but more curious.


“I got the feeling that he wanted to give the four of you privacy to work out your differences,” I tell her, thinking I should have just gotten in my car and left. Unfortunately my mother had rammed it into my head to be polite.


“Dr Taylor, or can I call you Justin? I hope we can be friends, and in the spirit of friendship, that you’ll understand that I’m only saying this because as his best friend, I feel you should understand a few things about Brian,” She tells me, and I groan, seeing Michael get out of cab and head towards us.


“I’m sure you do, but right now we're getting to know each other and I like to base my opinions on what he shows me,” I tell her.


“Oh good you’re here, I guess you didn’t see me when you were leaving. I wanted to talk to you,” Michael tells me.


“I’m sure you both do, but I have to get back to work,” I tell them.


“We could come there and talk,” Lindsay tells me.


“Yeah, you could explain some of the things the specialist told us. He kept acting like we had medical degrees when he explained what he was going to do to my Honeybun,” Michael tells me.


“Michael, there was nothing that a person who was listening wouldn’t have understood,” She tells him.


“Lindsay, I’m trying to give us a reason to talk to him,” Michael tells her. He seems to think he whispered that.


“Justin doesn’t need a reason to talk to me. He should see the benefit of advice from Brian’s best friend,” Lindsay tells him.


“Which would explain him listening to me, not you,” Michael tells her.


It was on. The battle of the best friends. Brian came outside and stopped when he saw them arguing about who was really Brian’s best friend, with examples of why each believed they were the one. They stopped paying attention to me while they rounded on each other, each trying to outdo the other. Brian pointed to his car when the two of them seemed to forget everything but winning against each other. I had a few hours before my next appointment, so I left the two of them going at each other and got in Brian’s car. I turned when he started the engine, and saw the two stop mid argument to stare at us speeding away.


“Why didn’t you wait for me?” He asks.


“Your receptionist made it sound like you were busy. I thought maybe your meeting ran over,” I tell him.


“She was supposed to have you wait for me,” He grumbles, not looking happy as he makes a call. “Cynthia, fire Olivia, she obviously didn’t read the email I sent her this morning,”


“Brian, she was following your instructions, she apparently doesn’t see a future for herself at Burger World. Which is where you told her she’d be if she didn’t follow your orders,” I tell him.


“It would also help if you’d actually sent it to her. It’s still in your drafts. Also remember, after she let Michael and Lindsay barge into your office, you told her NO ONE gets in without an appointment. She’s only following the God Kinney’s commandments,” Cynthia giggles, causing me to laugh at his scowl.


“Fine, then she can stay, but put Justin on the interrupt anytime list,” He tells her.


“Is there a list like that?” She asks.


“Make one, and Justin and Gus are on it,” He growls, hanging up.


“I’m on a list, should I feel special?” I ask, leaning over and licking his ear.


GUS


I got home from school to find Mom and Michael in the living room plotting with each other. I didn’t know whether I came in the right door, since they were actually getting along. Mom tells me to get my snack, while she finishes talking to Michael. When I heard them mention Dr Taylor, I rushed and got my snack and sat as close to them as possible.


“Dr Taylor is nice, but you and I know Brian’s type, and he isn’t it,” Michael tells her.


“Michael, until recently there wasn’t really someone you could point to and say that was Brian’s type. Really, you keep setting him up with guys you would date, which isn’t anyone Brian has ever shown any interest in. If you ask me, someone like Dr Taylor is really a great choice. Brian needs someone who will be able to attend functions and can converse with others.The idiots you set him up with, well, they would be great at a comic convention or playground, but not at the functions he attends,” She tells him.


“I like Dr Taylor,” I tell them.


“So do we Lambskin, but we don’t want to have to change doctors,” She tells me, as I cringe at the name I thought we broke her of.


“Because he’s dating Dad?” I ask.


“Gus, we just think that your dad would be better off if he picked some else. Someone who we see as being part of the group,” Michael tells me.


“Grandma Deb likes Dr Taylor. So do Uncle Emmett, Drew, Ted, and Blake. They all sat around talking to each other last night, and had a good time,” I tell him.


“They invited everyone but us?” Michael asks, looking upset.


“Uncle Emmett and Drew came later, but yeah,” I tell him, not caring that he was upset, because he was acting like there was something wrong with Dr Taylor.


“See what I mean, it’s like he forgot that that we needed him too,” Michael tells my mom.


I got up and left before I showed them that I got my sarcastic streak from my dad. On the way up to my room I called Gwen to tell her that we had a problem... My dad’s two best friends.


LINDSAY


I could tell Gus wasn’t thrilled when he left the living room. He seems to really like Dr Taylor, and I don’t hate the idea that Brian is seeing someone that at least knows what fork to use. I’ve spent years trying to figure out why Brian and Michael stayed friends and haven’t figured it out yet. It’s just that in the last week Brian has acted like I’m bothering him. Last night I wasn’t happy when he picked up Gus from school and didn’t even stop by so I could convince him to stay for dinner. If Brian insists on seeing anyone, he should at least see someone who would understand that listening to me will only help them. Dr Taylor acted like he didn’t even want to get to know me. Which isn’t fair, he’s been perfectly wonderful when we have appointments for the kids. I know part of my problem is that I like the Brian who didn’t settle down or want any ties. It gave me a way to live the life I gave up when I married Mel. I don’t regret marrying Mel, just sometimes when things get routine, well, seeing my wild Peter helped. Oh God, am I really that selfish that I don’t like that he looks at Dr Taylor in a way he’s never looked at anyone else?


“Michael, maybe we should support them,” I tell him, not happy with my thoughts as to why I didn’t want him with Dr Taylor.


“I would, but it seems like Brian forgot us since he met Dr Taylor,” Michael whines.


Hearing someone huff, I turn to see Mel standing there with Jenny. I could tell she wasn’t happy to hear what we were talking about.


“Who the asshole dates isn’t any of your business, either one of you. If Dr Taylor is who he wants to see, then leave it alone, both of you. I can’t believe I’m about to defend him, but not once has Brian interfered with your relationships, so respect his. Unfortunately I’m about to jump on the Kinney train and tell you both that we need to worry about Jenny, not your egos being crushed because Brian might love someone more than you,” She tells us, shocking the two of us.


“I agree,” Gus tells us, taking Jenny to get a snack. “Just so you know, I’m team Jus,” He tells us all.


“But I wasn’t invited…”


“No, but probably because you’d have invited Marve and Eddy,” Gus tells him, sarcastically.


“Monty and Eli. I swear, Brian is rubbing off on Gus,” Mel says smiling at him.


“Mel, I just want Brian happy,” I tell her.


“Which he seems to be. So instead of being upset, focus on our lives. Unless your not happy with me,” She tells me.


“You sound like Ben. He keeps saying I need to stop thinking I know who Brian should date,” Michael grumbles.


“Since none of the guys you choose make it past dinner, I think you should listen to Ben,” Mel tells him.


“God. I didn’t want to bring this up, but you do know that Justin was one of Brian’s tricks? I didn’t remember until Emmett mentioned that Ted said Brian told him Justin was the kid Brian took home the night Gus was born,” He tells us.


“Which means what? Because I’m not seeing why the past matters,” Mel tells him.


“What if Dr Taylor somehow used us to see Brian again?” Michael asks us.


“We are the ones who decided to change doctors. It took us a month to get an appointment with him. If he was some deranged ex-trick wanting Brian… You know what, I’m not entering crazy land with you,” Mel tells him, pointing to the door.


“Sorry, I got jealous for a second,” I tell Mel, when Michael was gone.


“Honey, you have to let go and let your Peter have his own life,” She tells me.


“Which I’m going to do, but it wouldn’t hurt if I felt like Dr Taylor liked us,” I tell her.


“Why do you need him to like you?” She asks.


“I don’t know. Maybe because Brian loves him,” I tell her.


“So, you finally see the light,” She snickers.


“I do, and now I have to tell Phillip that I don’t think Brian is going to want to be his date at the GLC awards,” I groan.


“Call Walter, because I’m starting to sympathize with Brian. Do you realize what you're doing to my relationship with the Asshole? We have a great thing going, and I don’t want to upset the balance by siding with him,” She tells me, shaking her head at a world where she and Brian get along.


“Why Walter?” I ask.


“Because if anyone can like Tannis, Walter can,” She snickers.

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

JUSTIN


Daphne came by for dinner, like she did anytime she had a night free. Gwen asked me why Brian wasn’t coming over. When I told her that Brian and I didn’t have to spend every minute with each other, she didn’t agree and told me she needed to do some homework while Daphne and I were finishing dinner.


“She likes him?” Daphne asks.


“They get along pretty well. She’s made phone friend with Gus, and made plans to spend time with Poppy, Ted and Blake’s daughter. The kids think we need help with dating,” I tell her.


“I don’t know about Brian, but you do,” She tells me.


“I’ve never had a problem dating in the past,” I tell her.


“Justin you’ve never really made it past a few months at most before you find something wrong with the guy,” She tells me.


“Really? You want me to compare your dating to mine. At least date one guy at a time,” I tell her, ducking when she threw a towel at me.


“I liked them both and didn’t lie to either of them. I even helped them meet their future wives, so it all ended well,” She laughs. “So where is Brian tonight? This is the first time since you two met that you aren’t having dinner together,” She asks me.


“He called and said that he had a business meeting tonight. It’s not like I expect him to be with me all the time,” I tell her, ignoring her when she could tell I was a little disappointed.


“I’m sure he would rather be here,” She tells me.


“I’m not even sure why it bothers me that he couldn’t come tonight. It’s not like we’ve been seeing each other that long. I don’t even know what we are yet. I can’t even say what I feel about the whole thing, because it’s too new. Shit, the truth is this thing with him scares the shit out of me,” I tell her.


“Why?” She asks.


“Because I had to stop myself from giving him a key to my house. We’ve only been seeing each other a couple weeks now and I’m thinking long term, which isn’t something I ever thought about the guys I’ve dated in the past. I spend way too much time thinking about him and I’m worried that I’m still that seventeen year old who thought he was the one,” I tell her.


“Justin, you didn’t spend years pining away for him. Hell, you didn’t even bother to go back and try to see him again. When you think about it, it’s not the past, but the fact that he’s an attractive man you’re getting to know now,” She tells me.


“I guess. But every time I see him we end up… well. And it’s confusing because I never jump in bed with someone before we get to know each other. Yet, we didn’t even have dinner the first night. Then, anytime I see him, I lose my mind and jump him, not that he’s complaining,” I tell her.


“Sex is normal and really not something you need to complain about, especially to someone who lately relies on Bob,” She jokes.


“We really need to get you a date,” I tell her.


“Too bad Brian doesn’t have a hot brother,” She tells me.


“That’s weird now that I think about it, anytime we talk about family he tends to change the subject. I couldn’t tell you if he had a brother or parents,” I tell her.


“He hasn’t mentioned any?” She asks.


“No, other than Gus. He’s the only family I know about. I was going to invite him to meet my mom, but changed my mind because I don’t know if we’re at that ‘family meeting’ stage,” I tell her.


“He’s brought over all his friends to meet you, so really, what would be the difference?” She asks.


“I guess, I’ll ask him when I see him again,” I tell her.


“I’m surprised he isn’t coming over later, I’ll miss coffee in bed with him,” She says wistfully.


“It’s really time to find you a date,” I tell her throwing the towel at her.


I looked at my phone when it went off, and saw a text from Brian. “I need you to come to Babylon,” Was all it said.


“What?” Daphne asked, when I probably looked confused.


“It’s Brian, saying he needs me to come to Babylon. Only, what’s he doing there when he said he had to work? Jesus, I sound like a jealous wife,” I tell her.


“He owns it, so maybe that’s where the meeting was. Go, I’ll stay with Gwen,” She tells me.


BRIAN


I felt like shit skipping out on Justin, but my birthday has never really been something I celebrated. It wasn’t until Gus called me after school that I remembered. Then Kelly from Eyeconics called wanting some last minute changes to a campaign. So, in truth I was working late, but not late enough that I couldn’t have gone to Justin’s house.


When I was leaving Mikey called and said he wanted to get a drink, and instead of saying no, I ended up at a surprise party thrown by Mikey and Jason. Who I now remember, and still didn’t want. ‘Why didn’t I just go over to Justin's house?’, is the question circling in my head. Everyone was there, but Mikey was playing possessive best friend and dragging me to the dance floor. When he grabbed Jason saying that I shouldn’t ruin my party by not dancing with everyone, I was done. Jason wrapped himself around me and figured I’d dance with him and then tell Mikey I was leaving.


“Brian, I think you need to look at the doorway,” Blake says when he rushes up to me, looking worried.


“Fuck.” Was the only thing that came out of my mouth when I saw Justin shaking his head and leaving.


I pushed Jason off and started towards the door, because Justin stomped out pissed. Mikey stopped me, saying I couldn’t leave my own party. I reached in my pocket to get my phone but it wasn’t there.


“Michael, do you have my phone?” I ask.


“Yeah, sorry it fell out of your pocket. I was just holding it for you,” He tells me, smiling like he does when he thinks he did something I wanted him to do.


“What did you do?” I asked.


“I felt bad that I forgot to invite Justin, but since I didn’t know his number I texted him for you,” He tells me.


“Then arranged for him to see me dancing with someone else. What the fuck were you trying to do?” I ask.


“Nothing, it’s not my fault that he doesn’t trust you,” He tells me.


“Are you being serious? What do you expect him to think when I told him I was working late. Instead he finds me here, with your choice for who I should be with. I should have just walked out of here, I didn’t even want to be here. If Justin decides he doesn’t want anything to do with me after this, our friendship won’t survive it either,” I tell him, getting in his face.


“What the hell are you doing Brian? Michael went to all this trouble to throw you a party and you treat him like this?” Ben asks, pulling Michael to him.


“Ask your husband what else he went to the trouble of doing. Don’t want to ask him? Then I’ll tell you. He called my boyfriend and invited him, just in time to see the show Michael apparently went to all the trouble of making sure Justin saw,” I tell Ben.


“Brian, instead of staying here, go catch Justin,” Blake tells me.


My phone shook with a text. “Lose my number. I don’t play games,” Justin sent.


“I don’t think he’s going to listen,” I tell Blake, throwing the phone at Mikey.


“I’ll tell him it was a joke,” Michael tells me, running behind me.


“Do me a favor, stay the fuck away from me,” I tell him, walking out, not knowing where to go.


LINDSAY


When I opened the door, I wasn’t sure what to make of Brian standing there looking totally lost. I pulled him behind me to the kitchen and made coffee. It felt strange to be the one comforting him, and instead of asking a thousand questions I waited for him to say something.


“Why didn’t I do what I wanted to tonight?” He mumbles.


“You're going to have to explain, because I’m sort of lost here,” I tell him.


Mel walked in with Jenny and of course she ran to Brian. “Bine!” She squealed, jumping in his arms that he held out to her.


Mel and I watched as he held on to her, as if needing the love Jenny had for him. Mel looked at me asking what was going on. I shook my head to tell her I didn’t know.


“I’m going to put her to bed, and check on Gus,” Brian tells us, getting up and walking out with Jenny.


“What’s wrong with him, I know he hates his birthday but...” Mel stops, bewildered at the Brian we were seeing.


“I don’t know, maybe the guys did something he didn’t like,” I tell her.


Mel called Ted and when she hung up she looked at me like she was ready to commit murder on Brian’s behalf. “Michael threw him a party and invited Justin. Then he made sure he got there in time to see Brian dancing with another guy. Justin left, telling Brian to lose his number. Brian left telling Michael pretty much the same thing,” Mel tells me.


“I see the grapevine is working,” Brian says from the doorway.


“Brian, call Justin and tell him what happened,” Mel tells him.


“I’m sure he’ll listen after he thought I was working, since that’s why I told him I couldn’t come over tonight,” He tells her, sarcastically.


“Why did you tell him that instead of inviting him with you?” I ask.


“I hate my birthday, and I WAS working, but when Mikey called I thought I’d have one drink and then leave. I didn’t know he was planning the party and that he’d do what he did,” He tells me.


“Bullshit, you could have left, so why didn’t you?” Mel asks.


“It doesn’t matter anyway, because Justin pretty much decided it's over,” He tells her.


“Wow, you lose one ball and then lose them both,” Mel tells him, making me want to ask her to stop.


“He’s the one who fucking ended it without even bothering to find out what was going on. I’m not chasing after someone who didn’t trust me,” He tells her.


“Why would he, you tell him one thing and then get caught not being where you told him. What’s he supposed to think?” Mel asks him.


“That I’m a lying sack of shit!” Brian yells.


“Which is one thing you aren’t, Asshole!” Mel yells back.


“You aren’t. And standing here fighting with Mel will only convince Justin you aren’t worth the trouble,” I tell him.


“I already tried. His best friend slammed the door in my face,” He tells us.


“What was Michael thinking?” I ask, not really asking.


“He’s probably still pissed that everyone was over at Justin’s and he wasn’t included,” Mel tells us.


“He and I were sort of discussing that we didn’t think Justin was your type,” I tell him, cringing at the look he gave me. “Mel can tell you that I don’t think that way anymore. I figured out that you love him,” I tell him.


“I never said I love him,” He snaps.


“You don’t have too, it’s obvious since you look like you lost something important. Do yourself a favor and chase him. Go against all the rules you live by and make him listen to you,” Mel tells him.


Brian walked out, not giving us a clue to where he was going. Mel grabbed her coat and said she was going to see Jenny’s father. She said it was time for Michael to understand that he didn’t know anything about Brian. I didn’t know how to react to Mel defending Brian. I smiled as I cleaned up, finally seeing that my wife liked my best friend.

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

MEL


Angry doesn’t cover even half of what I feel right now toward Michael. What bothers me more is that this isn't even surprising to me. It's classic Michael. Thinking he knows everything. Running over anything that doesn't fit what he wants. Half our problems with Jenny come from him believing he's a fucking expert on everything. Now for some reason I'm pissed for fucking Brian, which is why Michael isn’t going to slink away, thinking he did nothing wrong.


Ted let me know everyone went straight home after it happened, so it means Michael can hide what he did from Deb. Lately, even Deb finds it hard to defend Michael. I knocked, listening to Michael and Ben arguing, hoping Ben will sit this one out. Normally I can depend on Ben to be the rational one, but with all the blame we threw around, none of us were being rational lately. It’s not something I like to admit, but Brian was right, we were too busy blaming each other and forgetting Jenny didn’t need arguing parents. Shit.


“Mel, now isn't a good time,” Ben tells me.


“It's never a good time when your husband causes problems...” I tell him, pushing past him.


Michael was sitting on the couch with his arms crossed, pouting, until he saw me walk in.


“What’s wrong, is Honeybun okay?” He asks.


“Jenny is fine, she was thrilled that her ‘Bine’ put her to bed tonight. What’s not fine is that you went out of your way to hurt Brian’s relationship with Justin,” I gritted out, not raising my voice.


“It’s not like I knew he was going to see anything wrong with Brian dancing with someone,” He tells me, trying to defend what he did.


“No. You just hoped. Why did you do it? You’ve been the one foaming at the mouth for Brian to get in a ‘real relationship’. Yet the minute he does, you try to stop it. All you accomplished tonight was to show Brian how little of a friend you really are to him. He was fucking happy with Justin!” I said, as my voice raised to the point where I ended up screaming.


“How can you say he’s happy, when he stopped spending time with anyone but him?” Michael whines.


“Why would his happiness have anything to do with spending time with anyone else?” Ben asks.


“Until Justin, he always met us at Woody’s and came to our parties. Since he’s been with Justin, it’s like we aren’t good enough for him,” Michael tell him.


“Michael, Brian didn’t even like coming to the parties. He only came because you wouldn’t leave him alone unless he came,” Ben tells him.


“Well, now even Emmett and Ted are avoiding them. I bet Justin invites them over just to spite me,” He tells us.


“Are you serious? You think Brian wanting to spend time with his boyfriend is any different from when you and Ben were first dating and you spent less time around everyone, including your mother?” I ask him.


“Ma didn’t like Ben back then. I was tired of hearing her say I shouldn’t be with him,” Michael tells me.


“You don’t like Justin for some reason, why would Brian want him to spend time with you?” I ask.


“I like him as our pediatrician. I just don’t see how Brian could be serious about him if all they’re doing is repeat tricking on their dates. I want Brian to find someone who at least wants the same things that we do,” Michael tells us.


“Why the fuck would it matter, since it’s Brian’s relationship, and not yours? You and Ben’s relationship isn’t the model that everyone has to live by. Why would you think Brian would want what you have?” I ask.


“He’s my best friend, I know him,” He tells me smugly.


“Do you? Because from what I heard, he isn’t feeling the same way after the stunt you pulled tonight. Do you understand what me being here defending Brian means? It means that the man I watched put your daughter to bed tonight didn’t think you knew anything about him. It’s one thing to want him to find happiness, but it’s another when you go out of your way to fuck him over because it wasn’t with someone YOU wanted him to be with. I really thought you were over you’re problems of jealousy where Brian was concerned, but tonight makes me wonder if you are. One other thing while I’m still pissed at you. Our daughter needs us to be her parents. As her mother, I’m no longer going to argue with you, no matter what you do to bait me. Jenny and Gus are going to see that, as their mother, all I care about is that they grow up healthy and happy. If you have a problem with that, then keep it to yourself, because all our children need from all of us is to see that we are all adults, not just Brian,” I tell him, staring at him daring him to contradict me.


“Ben, I know I’ve been a pain in the ass when you and Michael take Jenny, but we need to stop and see it’s only going to have Jenny confused that none of us are getting along. I think it would help if we started doing things the way Lindsay and I have with Brian, which we haven’t done with you two,” I tell him, because Lindsay and I aren’t being fair to them either.


“Which is?” Michael asks.


“With Brian, we include him on all the decisions, because it wasn’t fair to him when he was helping to support Gus, in any way we needed, not just financially. Which he does more than for just Gus. Which also means understanding that if there is something that involves Jenny that you discuss it with us too,” I tell Ben, because I need his help when it comes to Michael.


“We can agree to that, and I want you to know I didn’t agree with what I found out Michael did tonight. I thought he invited Justin, and that when Michael told me that Justin declined the invitation, that Brian knew he wasn’t coming,” Ben tells me.


“Why are you making excuses to me? It’s not me who was hurt tonight. It’s also not your fault that Michael screwed Brian over. Again. For once, step back and let him deal with the bullshit he caused, all by himself,” I tell Ben.


“Michael, he isn’t going to just let you go on this one. He supported you when you wanted to be with Ben, even when he was as concerned as the rest of us. Think about that when you get some brilliant idea that only ends up hurting the man you run around screaming is your BEST FRIEND. Before I go, remember that your mother will hear about this,” I tell him, smiling as I leave, hearing him groan.


JUSTIN


Daphne left a couple hours ago, after slamming the door in Brian’s face. I walked outside to my backyard, just wanting darkness, since my mood was the same. I’ll admit that I overreacted, but it wasn’t pleasant to see him with someone else wrapped around him. Part of the problem was that my initial reaction was to go over to the guy and kick his ass for touching Brian. I don’t like the way it felt, and it scared me to think that I could want to hurt someone over Brian.


There was also that he lied to me about where he was going. Why lie when he could have just told me he wanted to go out with his friends? They were all staring at me, with that look people get when they feel bad for you. Watching the shit the people in the country club did to my mother when they all knew my father was cheating on her. Giggling about it behind her back, while telling her they were sorry that he was a cheating asshole. That wasn’t the life I planned to live again.


It was that kind of shit that made Daphne and me separate ourselves from our upbringing. I wanted to teach Gwen to judge people for what they do, not how much money they had.


I looked up when I heard a noise, and there was Brian trying to climb over the eight foot wall that surrounded my backyard. I rolled my eyes when he sat at the top and smiled like he’d climbed a mountain.


“I’m really not in the mood for excuses tonight.” I tell him.


“It’s my birthday, so could you listen as my present?” He asks.


“Happy Birthday. I would have said something if you’d told me.” I tell him.


“I don’t usually tell anyone, because there’s never been anything happy about my birth. Every year I celebrated by fucking a guy for every year I managed to be here. It took days as the years went on, but it helped me forget why I hated them so much. I did have a late meeting, but it wasn’t the only reason I didn’t come over,” He tells me.


“What was your other reason?” I ask.


“You make me happy. Something that I never associated with today. Someone told me I was full of shit when I said I didn’t want to be at the party tonight. She’ll never know how right she was. I keep telling myself I didn’t want to be there, but I stayed because it was exactly as shitty as every birthday I’ve ever had before. I wanted to be with you, but I didn’t want to have you making it better, because being with you does that for me,” He tells me.


“Do you know how fucked up that sounds?” I ask, getting up and getting the ladder from the shed.


“Yes, but if you still want me, you get me, warts and all,” He tells me, sitting there as I climb up the ladder.


I climbed up there and sat next to him. “Why did you ask me to come tonight?” I ask, deciding to give him a chance to explain.


“I didn’t. Michael had my phone, he still does come to think of it. I threw it at him before I left. I honestly can’t tell you why he did what he did, but he knows that he stepped over the line with me. The last thing I want is for you to think this thing we’re doing is some kind of game to me,” He tells me, turning to face me.


I looked over the other side to see how he got up here, there was nothing there. “How did you get up here?” I ask.


“Justin, I’m trying to tell you that I don’t want to lose you,” He says, turning my head so I have to look at him.


“I’m scared of this,” I admit to him.


“Why?” He asks.


“Because I want to own you, and it’s not something I’ve ever wanted from someone. We haven’t even been dating that long, and there isn’t a part of my life I don’t want you in. Yet I’m scared to ask you to meet my mother and sister, or go with Gwen and me on vacation next month to my family reunion,” I tell him.


“Is Gus included?” He asks.


“Gwen most likely already invited him,” I tell him.


“I’d love to meet your family,” He tells me.


“What about yours?” I ask.


“You’ve met Gus,” He says, looking away from me.


“Night Brian,” I tell him, going to the ladder.


“They aren’t anyone you’d want to meet. My family doesn’t even know about Gus,” He tells me.


“Why?” I ask.


“Because, like your father, my mother and sister are bigoted assholes,” He tells me.


“Your father?” I ask, wishing I didn’t when I see the look on his face.


“He’s dead. But not before telling me it should have me dying, not him, for being a faggot,” He tells me.


“Brian, if you can forgive me for acting like an asshole, I’d like to help you see your birthday as a good thing,” I tell him, leaning over and sealing my lips over his.


“I’d like that, hopefully you’ll make the rest of them happy too,” He tells me as we seem to forget we're sitting on the wall, and fall off.


“Thank God I didn’t put rosebushes in,” I tell him, laughing as we lay on the grass.


Brian smiled down at me, and seemed to think the grass was as good as a bed. I honestly stopped caring where we were when he took me in his mouth. “I wanted to do something for you,” I tell him, moaning as he licks the crown of my cock.


“It’s my birthday, so let me unwrap my present,” He tells me, pulling my pants off and then helping with the rest of my clothes.


We were lost in each other until the sprinklers started, and then we both ended up running into my house naked and realized that my daughter did not need to wake up to us like this. He followed me into the downstairs bathroom to take a shower. I pushed Brian against the wall and took him in my mouth, wanting to give him my present. Brian pushed my hair out of my eyes and watched as his cock disappeared down my throat. It wasn’t long before he pulled me up and reached into the pocket of his discarded pants for a condom. When he turned me, he used his fingers to open me for him. The fingers disappeared and I felt the blunt head of his cock demanding entrance. His arms wrapped around me and his lips molded over mine. Everything about us fit together, and when he pushed in, I pushed back to seal us together. He wasn’t in a rush, and we slowly moved together. It wasn’t the fast furious pace that we started, but slower, as if he was learning everything about me. When we both came it wasn’t the roaring climax, but a slower, sweeter one, as we were still kissing while he stilled inside me.


“Stay,” I tell him.


“Tonight?” He asks.


“For as long as you want,” I tell him.

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

TED

 

I got to work and gathered my paperwork to go over with Brian. I figured it was better to act like nothing happened last night. Blake wanted to talk to Justin and see if we could help Brian out. All of us, except for Michael, felt like shit about what happened last night. We had assumed that Justin was coming with Brian last night, and didn’t know what to think when Brian showed up alone. 

 

When I got to Brian’s office, Cynthia looked frazzled. That scared the shit out of me, since Cynthia always has everything under control. 

 

“Ted, have you heard from Brian? I called his phone and got Michael,” She tells me.

 

“He isn’t in his office?” I ask.

 

“No. And he hasn’t called or left any messages about where he is. His schedule is clear for the day, so it’s not like he has to be here, but you know him, he never misses work,” She tells me.

 

“Shit, it’s probably because Justin broke it off last night,” I tell her.

 

“How did that happen?” She asks.

 

“Michael threw a surprise party for Brian, then took Brian’s phone without him knowing, and invited Justin to come. Then he got Brian to dance with another guy who was practically humping Brian’s leg when Justin walked in. I don’t get why Brian stayed in the first place, everyone could tell he didn’t want to be there. When Justin showed up it was clear he didn’t like what he was seeing and took off. Brian left pissed after he threw his phone at Michael,” I tell her.

 

“Even if Brian was pissed he’d still be here. Not that the rest of us would want to be here with him,” She tells me.

 

“I’ll go see if he’s at home. Call me if he shows up,” I tell her.

 

Brian wasn’t at his loft or the diner. Michael and Ben were sitting in a booth and when I walked in. Michael looked up, then frowned at me when I came through the door. Brian’s phone was sitting on the table and I took it, before Michael could keep it as a way to get Brian to talk to him.

 

“Have you seen him?” Michael asks quietly.

 

“No. But right now even if I did know where he was I wouldn't tell you,” I tell him. 

 

“I made a mistake, can you just let it go. Mel's already jumped all over my ass, I don't need it from you too,” He tells me, whispering.

 

“You mean you don't want your mother to find out. Since she hasn't been letting Brian take the blame for your shit lately,” Ben tells him. 

 

“It wasn’t like Brian couldn’t have walked off when Jason danced with him if he was so committed to Justin. How is it my fault Justin saw what he did?” Michael asks.

 

“Oh, I don’t know. Could it be because you texted Justin to come before you dragged Jason over to Brian?” Emmett asks sarcastically. “Before you try to say you didn't mean for Justin to see that, I saw you texting on Brian’s phone. I also saw you smirking after you put it in your pocket. I knew I should've checked what you were doing, but unfortunately for Brian, I didn’t,” He tells Michael.

 

“I don’t get it, why do something like that?” I ask. 

 

“That's something I want to know. I thought you got over this thing with Brian, but maybe it's wishful thinking on my part,” Ben says, getting up and walking out.

 

“Ben, I love you,” Michael says, running after him.

 

“What was that about?” Deb asks, coming over to us.

 

“I'm surprised you didn't come over here to find out before,” Emmett tells her.

 

“When they came in, Ben gave me the ‘stay out of it’ look. So to respect Ben, I did. It's something Carl and I talked about. If I want to be able to tell Michael my relationship was none of his business then I needed to respect them the same way. Now you're here, you can tell me what's going on,” She tells us.

 

“Michael apparently decided not to respect Brian and Justin’s relationship last night. Justin broke it off with Brian last night after seeing the floor show Michael provided,” Emmett tells her, before I can stop him.

 

“He's never going to learn to leave Brian alone. Hopefully he'll figure out Ben isn't going to put up with it,” I tell her. 

 

“Ben doesn’t help any more than I do sometimes. He lets Michael get away with things too,” She tells me. 

 

“He might normally, but not when he thinks Michael is still hung up on Brian, which was implied when he left a minute ago,” I tell her. 

 

“For once we all need to stay out of it. Brian is probably hurt enough and doesn't need anyone trying to get him to let Michael off,” Emmett tells her.

 

 “I could talk to Justin and tell him that my son's an idiot,” Deb tells us. 

 

“Let Blake try first, he's had past experience with the shit Michael does. If Justin doesn’t listen to him, then you're up,” I tell her, because my daughter isn't going to be happy if Dr Taylor isn’t.

 

JUSTIN 

 

Watching Brian sleep, I started to wonder about him. He always seems so self assured and in control, but last night he was different than the man I've gotten to know. I couldn’t imagine what it took for him to come to me, after I all but told him to get out of my life.

 

He sat there as if he expected me to reject him. It was why I climbed up there, because he sat there like he wasn’t allowed to come inside the walls. What kind of life would make someone like that. He gave me a clue when I asked about his family, but I have a feeling there's more to it than them just hating that he's gay. It's hard to know what to ask him, since I never again wanted to see the look he had when I asked about his father.

 

My father's a dick, but he wasn't always. There were times when I could tell he tried to get me, but couldn't get past the fact that my life wasn’t going to be with a wife and two kids. It got to be impossible when he married his new wife, because she's even worse than my father about homosexuality. In the end it was easier to just pretend we weren’t related to each other. Which is all kinds of fun when they come to functions that I attend with my mom. My stepmother, Brenda, didn’t get welcomed into the WASP nest, because unlike my mom, she didn't come from the right social background. I know it pisses my Dad off when the same people who treated my mother like shit, walk off when he and Brenda show up. I only go with Mom so Brenda doesn’t bother her. Which is the worst I deal with when it comes to my family. But after the little bit I heard from Brian last night, it makes me think it's nothing in comparison to his family.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Brian asks, leaning over me.

 

“That my mom is going to love you,” I tell him. 

 

“What about her son…? Forget I said that,” He tells me, laying back down.

 

“Why?” I ask. Knowing I looked surprised by the question.

 

“Do you want to get something to eat?” He asks, avoiding answering me.

 

“Brian, I want to say yes, I love you, but I also think we haven't known each other that long. I can say I think about you pretty much every minute of the day. What happened last night bothered me more than normal, which, in the past, had never been a problem with other relationships. You're different than the person I thought you were,” I tell him, realizing what I was saying sounded pretty much like I loved him. “Maybe I'm just scared of how much you mean to me,” I tell him. 

 

“Why are you scared of us?” He asks. 

 

“Before you, it didn’t feel like I'd be losing part of me if it was over,” I tell him.

 

“Like I felt last night. I've always been afraid of the idea of depending on anyone, but with you, it's different. Last night I denied it to Lindsay and Mel, but instead of saying fuck it, I came here, because in denying it… I was lying to myself. I love you.” He tells me. 

 

BRIAN 

 

It's never easy putting yourself out there, but for once I found someone worth letting in. Justin stared at me, not saying anything when I poured out my heart to him. He started to say something, but Gwen opened the door. Justin pushed me down on the bed and threw the covers over me as Gwen came in, rubbing her eyes.

 

“Daddy, I'm hungry,” She tells him.

 

“Let me get dressed and I'll start breakfast,” He tells her.

 

“Okay. Is he going to eat with us?” Gwen asks.

 

“Who?” Justin asks, grabbing my hand when I ran it up his thigh.

 

“Brian. Duh,” She tells him, proving Gus is rubbing off on her.

 

“I'm sure he's hungry too, but you need to get dressed and wait for us,” He tells her.

 

“Just hurry, because you hate it when I'm late for school,” She tells him, leaving.

 

“The princess has spoken,” I tell him, crawling over him.

 

“Aren't you going to be late too?” He asks, pointing at the time.

 

“I'm taking the day off. Want to join me?” He asks. 

 

“Let me make sure Mary can get the other doctors to cover for me. Then I can spend the day with the birthday boy,” He tells me, getting up to get dressed. He held out his hand. “I love you too.” He tells me. 

 

GUS

 

Jenny told me Bine was sad and when I came down for breakfast I heard Mom and Mama talking about my dad. They didn’t realize I was standing there and kept talking about something Michael did that had Justin breaking up with my dad. I wanted to find Michael and yell at him, because my dad didn’t need him getting in the way. Everyone always said Michael means well, but it's just hard to believe when most of the problems revolve around Michael. Prime example; Jenny. No one does anything right unless it's Michael. I mean, I know he loves Jenny, but it's like he tries too hard, as if he's competing for ‘father of the year’. I still remember the snit he had when Jenny’s first words were Mommy. He sat around for days trying to get Jenny to say Daddy, but smiled when she yelled, “Bine”, instead. What's weird to me is that he loves Ben, yet thinks being my dad's best friend is somehow more important. I smiled when I heard Mama saying she jumped on Michael for my dad. 

 

I left them in the kitchen and went to call my dad. I wanted to help him make up for whatever Michael did that made Justin break up with him.

 

“Uncle Ted?” I ask, when he answered Dad's phone.

 

“Have you seen your dad?” He asks. 

 

“I was calling his phone, so what do you think?” I ask sarcastically, which I ruined when I laughed.

 

“If you do, let him know I have his phone, Mr Kinney,” He tells me, laughing.

 

I called my partner in crime, but got my dad instead. “Is everything okay?” I ask. 

 

“It's fine Sonny Boy,” He tells me. 

 

“Mom and Mama were talking and said you and Justin broke up,” I tell him. 

 

“We worked it out, but do me a favor and don't tell anyone,” He tells me. 

 

“Sure, if you want me to. Uncle Ted has your phone. I think he's worried that he can’t find you,” I tell him. 

 

“Do me a favor and call him, let him know I'm taking the day off,” He tells me. 

 

“Are you going to pick me up today?” I ask. 

 

“I'll be there,” He tells me, hanging up. 

 

I brought my bag that I take with me when I stay with my dad to the table. Mama smiled, saying I needed to be extra nice to my dad this weekend.

 

“Mama, are you okay?” I ask.

 

“I can be nice about your father,” She tells me, rolling her eyes, when Mom and I laugh.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian left to pick up Gus and we made it so he could pick up Gwen too. Since we didn’t make it out of bed today, he said he'd pick up dinner for all of us. It wasn’t like we didn't plan to do something, but I realized Brian and I haven’t had a day where we just spent it lounging in. So instead of trying to find things to do we just sat around talking, making out, and watching crap TV together.

 

He got dressed, telling me he'd pick up the kids, and it made me see what having a partner was like. For years it was just me doing everything for Gwen, not that I minded, but it's nice to have someone to depend on. My doorbell rang in the middle of that thought and I wasn’t sure what to think of Blake standing there. I know him only because of Poppy, and got to know him a little more the other night, so it's not like I expected him to come over.

 

“Can we talk about what happened? I was hoping you’d hear me out and give Brian another chance. What you saw wasn’t what you thought,” He tells me, as I let him in.

 

“You're here to help Brian?” I ask. 

 

“Yes, and sorry for just showing up here without calling but I tried your office and Mary said you took the day off. Normally I try to stay out of everyone's relationship, but in this case I kind of have prior experience with things like last night. Maybe it could help you to change your mind about seeing Brian again,” He tells me. 

 

“Why do you care?” I ask. 

 

“Because Brian would talk to me if there were problems for me and Ted,” He tells me.

 

“You care a lot about Brian?” I ask. 

 

“He makes it easy. He never held our past mistakes against us. He gave Ted a job, when no one would. When Ted and I finally got back together he didn’t act like Ted could do better than me, when for a while the rest of them did. Well, no that's not exactly true. Emmett was hurt, but at least worked at meeting me halfway. Mel and Lindsay were wary but welcomed me. Even Deb was nice, but warned me she'd have my balls if I did anything to hurt Ted. Which leaves us with the reason you took off. Michael,” He tells me. 

 

“I don’t understand why Michael has a problem with me. From what all of you said, he's constantly trying to get Brian in a relationship,” I tell him. 

 

“One of his choosing, which you weren't. I wasn't who he wanted with Ted either, so I also got some of what you saw. He's never taken it this far until Brian met you. If you want my opinion as to why, I'll tell you,” He offers.

 

“Go ahead, because it's the part that confuses me the most,” I tell him. 

 

“Brian and Michael were friends from the time they were fourteen, and Michael treated it like the most important thing in the world that he was Brian’s best friend. For years, if Brian was anywhere, you'd find Michael there too, and just to lay it all out there, Michael was in love with Brian,” He tells me. 

 

“Did Brian feel the same way?” I ask. 

 

“I honestly don't know. Ted said possibly, but he also said Brian didn’t offer Michael anything but friendship. Emmett says if nothing happened in all the years they knew each other, he didn’t think Brian loved Michael as anything but a brother. Deb said Brian knew it wouldn't work with Michael, and didn’t pursue anything. From what I've seen, there just isn't any chemistry between them. As strange as it sounds, Michael loves Ben, but can't seem to let Brian have a life if it doesn't include him. Ted said it was because, for years Brian never cared what Michael did, because he didn't want a relationship,” He tells me. 

 

“Now that he does, Michael wants to ruin it?” I ask. 

 

“He probably thinks he's helping Brian, like in the past. Only Brian isn’t the person he once was, and Michael has a hard time with anything changing. I think a lot of it has to do with him being worried that if Brian gets involved with someone he doesn't know, than Brian won't be around for him. He uses Brian as a safety net in his life,” He tells me. 

 

“What about his husband? Why marry someone if they aren't the person you go to for safety?” I ask. 

 

“It could be that as much as he loves Ben, he also knows Ben might not be around forever,” He tells me. 

 

“HIV isn’t a death sentence. It's manageable now, not like years ago,” I tell him, since I knew about it. Michael filled up pages of history on him and Ben.

 

“He knows that, but when something happens with Ben, he expects Brian to be there holding his hand. If Brian’s involved with someone, what are the chances that he'll drop everything for Michael? It's really why I think he's bothered by you,” He tells me. 

 

“I wouldn’t tell Brian to ignore his friends,” I tell him. 

 

“I'm not saying you would, but Michael was upset when Brian turned down any invitations from him to spend time with you. If Brian was with someone Michael picked…” He shrugged.

 

“Then Brian would be where Michael wanted him to be, instead of leaving him to do things with me,” I tell him. 

 

“Michael can be possessive when it comes to his friends, but not like he is with Brian. When Ted and I were seeing each other in the beginning, Michael would act like I wasn't in the room. He never said anything, but he made it obvious he didn’t want me around Ted. There were reasons,” He tells me. 

 

“Unless Ted had a problem with you, Michael shouldn't have gotten involved,” I tell him. 

 

“That's just the way he is, he butts in, thinking he knows what’s best for everyone. It doesn't matter if it's none of his business. Until the recently, I wasn't on Michael’s ‘approved list’ for Ted,” He tells me. 

 

“What changed his mind?” I ask. 

 

“Ted pretty much told him that he wouldn't put up with Michael treating me like shit anymore. If Michael wanted to stay friends then he accepted me as the person Ted loves. After we adopted Poppy, Michael saw it us as jumping on the bandwagon of showing queers could have everything straight people did. We just wanted a child, not a platform,” He jokes.

 

“So far all I'm hearing are reasons to stay away. Why should I bother if Michael isn’t going to leave us alone?” I tell him, feeling bad because I can see Blake really wants me to give Brian a chance. Which I already did.

 

“Brian is different around you. He's happier. Until you, he got easily bored with the guys he went out with. He never called any of them or even seemed to remember them. You breaking up with Brian was different, because Brian didn’t even show up for work, and no one can find him. It's scaring the hell out of Ted and Cynthia, because even when Brian was sick, he showed up,” He tells me. 

 

Now I really felt like an ass for letting him go on and not telling him Brian and I made up. “He's been with me. He showed up last night and explained what I saw,” I tell him. 

 

“He came here?” He asks, surprised.

 

“He told me he didn’t want to lose me. Then explained everything that happened last night. We agreed to try again, but we didn’t want everyone to know, yet,” I tell him. 

 

“I won’t tell anyone, Well, it would help if I could tell Ted. He's really worried about Brian,” He tells me, as Brian and the kids come in the door.

 

“I'd say I'm surprised to see you, but then I'd be lying. Is Theodore worried about me?” Brian asks Blake, as he leans down to kiss me.

 

“What do you think? I'm here aren’t I? Not that you needed me to convince Justin to talk to you apparently,” Blake tells him, smiling.

 

“Tell Ted that as usual, I can deal with everything on my own. I'll be in Monday,” Brian tells Blake.

 

“Ted won't be a problem once he knows you two worked it out, but you know Deb expects you at dinner on Sunday. If you two plan to keep this quiet, it's not going to be easy at dinner,” He tells Brian. 

 

“I have a plan for that too. In fact, call Ted and Deb to come here for dinner tonight. It's time to let Michael squirm,” Brian tells him. 

 

“Are we having people over?” I ask. 

 

“Yes, we are. Call Emmett too, because he'll help,” Brian tells Blake.

 

“What are you going to do?” Gus asks, as if ready to help.

 

“I want to know too,” Gwen tells Brian. 

 

BRIAN

 

After telling everyone to wait, because I hate repeating myself, Blake made the calls. It took him a while when he got to Emmett, because Emmett has to question everything before just doing what you asked. Deb just agreed to come over, saying she'd bring dinner and Carl. Justin told me he needed to talk to Daphne because I was still on her shit list, instead I told him to tell her I'd pick her up. Justin wasn’t going to defend me, when Daphne only did what she did because everything pointed to me being the asshole in this situation. I left while Blake and Justin took the kids to pick up dessert for everyone. 

 

Daphne was waiting on the curb at the hospital when I pulled up. She got in, slamming the door. “How did you get him to listen to you after last night?” She asks.

 

“I told him the truth. My birthday turns me into a raving asshole and being with him made me happy,” I tell her. 

 

“So you partied the night away with another guy, because Justin makes you happy? Dude, you need help,” She tells me. 

 

“I didn’t party the night away with another guy. Until Justin showed up, the only person I had danced with was my former best friend. Who thinks Justin isn’t who I should want,” I tell her. 

 

“As long as he understands, then I'm fine with it. I will say though, if you ever screw with his head, I know how to use a scalpel,” She tells me, looking at my crotch.

 

“I like the one ball I have left,” I tell her.

 

“What happened to the other?” She asks.

 

“Cancer. But luckily I'm clear now. It's one of the reasons I made changes in my life. One of them being that I'm tired of being alone,” I tell her. 

 

“Justin isn’t the answer, if you just don't want to be alone,” She tells me. 

 

“That isn't why I want to be with him. I love him,” I tell her, not looking at her.

 

“That's all I need to hear,” She tells me.

 

TED

 

Emmett picked me and Poppy up, wanting to know if I knew anything. 

 

“Emmett, we're only a couple minutes away,” Drew tells him. 

 

“Honey, until Blake called I really thought Brian was losing it,” Emmett tells him. 

 

“Let's just wait and see. Right now none of us know anything,” I tell him. 

 

“Other than Brian and Justin must have made up,” He tells me.

 

“Why would they need to make up?” Poppy asks, not happy.

 

“It was just a little tiff, sweetie. Nothing for you to get mad about,” Emmett tells her, mouthing ‘Sorry’ to me.

 

“It better be, because Gus, Gwen, and I are trying to get them married. Auntie Emmy, maybe you could help, since you marry people,” Poppy tells him. 

 

“I plan the weddings, Sweetie,” He tells her. 

 

“You said you always know who should get married, and if Brian marries Dr… Uncle Jus then we get to keep him,” She tells us.

 

“I'll get right on that, but maybe we should wait for them to date a little longer,” Emmett tells her, laughing.

 

We pulled up as Deb was getting out of the car. “Guys, help me bring things in,” She yells at us.

 

Blake opened the front door, stopping Poppy to ask about her day. She rushed through her day, and took off to find Gus and Gwen. Blake led us to the kitchen, and told everyone to help bring chairs out to the patio. Deb left it to us and went to see Justin. 

 

“I told you to not judge anything my son does on me, but do Brian a favor and apply it to him too,” Deb tells him. 

 

“He isn’t holding it against me,” Brian tells her, coming out with Daphne.

 

“Why are we all here? I've been as patient as I can be,” Emmett asks.

 

“It's time to show Michael what interfering with my life does. Justin gave me a chance, but I don't want us to have a repeat of last night. We originally weren’t going to tell anyone we were back together, but if we didn't tell all of you, then I'm assuming Justin would be bombarded with all of you trying to help,” He tells us.

 

“I want you happy,” Deb tells him. 

 

“Why don’t we let Brian explain what he needs us to do,” Carl tells her.

 

“I want Michael to sit through Sunday dinner thinking he broke us up. I need Deb to understand why I don't want Justin or the kids there,” He tells us. 

 

“Why not let me tell Michael he isn't invited?” Deb asks.

 

“Because right now Michael still thinks you don't know what he did,” I tell her, catching on.

 

“And?” Deb asks. 

 

“You let Michael know that Justin said he wouldn't come, but I promised to show up. It's time he and anyone he brings, sees the Brian that Michael was always protected from.” Brian tells her. 

 

“You're okay with this?” Emmett asks Justin.

 

“If it gets Michael to leave us alone, yes,” Justin tells him. 

 

“It's something you should have done years ago. It might have made it so he stopped treating your life like only what he wants is what should happen,” Carl tells him. 

 

“Let's hope he gets it, because if he messes with my dad, he deals with us,” Gus tells us, with his posse nodding.

 

“I'll make sure he understands that, Mr Kinney,” I tell Gus.

 

“Lord help my son, he's got Brian-in-training after him,” Deb laughs.

 

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

BLAKE

 

After everyone settled around the pool to play with the kids, I sat with Brian. I didn’t understand what he was planning, because I've never known Brian to be anyone but the man who took care of everyone. He was straight and to the point, but not cruel about it. So I wondered what he meant about showing Michael a side of him that he protected him from seeing. I knew he never told Michael about the cancer episode, but in a way it was probably because he knew Michael would somehow turn it into everyone needing to be there for Michael while Brian was going through radiation and puking his brains out. 

 

I've never had a great opinion of Michael, but tolerate him for Ted’s sake. I like Ben, but there are times when I don't get some of the things he puts up with. It's not that Michael is horrible, it's more that he thinks his life is an example of how all our lives should be. He doesn’t get why I don't run into the clubs and preach to the guys getting high about how they are ruining their lives. I don't think he gets that they aren’t ready to listen. It's a step you have to take when you're ready, otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time. Which I know from my own experience.

 

“Thanks,” Brian says, breaking me away from my thoughts.

 

“You would have done it for Ted,” I tell him. 

 

“Not just for Ted,” He tells me.

 

“I know, and it leads me to a question,” I tell him. 

 

“Ask,” He tells me. 

 

“Why does everyone think what you're planning on doing will get Michael to understand anything?” I ask. 

 

“I've never directed my inner asshole directly at Michael,” He tells me. 

 

“Ted’s mentioned that in the past there were times you could be blunt, but you still are, so I don’t understand,” I tell him. 

 

“Blunt is a nice way of saying it. It's more that I didn’t hold back, regardless of anyone's feelings. If it embarrassed you, too bad. Michael spent his teens being the geek people made fun of, beat up, and in general, ignored, until we became friends. After we became friends, he became popular through me,” He tells me. 

 

“What are you planning to do to him?” I ask. 

 

“Nothing he hasn’t done to you or anyone else,” He tells me. 

 

“It's something about him I don't get. He's always seen as the one who takes care of his friends and family, but if they'd paid better attention, they would've realized it was you,” I tell him. 

 

“Right now all I care about is the man sitting next to our children,” He tells me, smiling at Gus’s hero worship of Justin.

 

“He's easy to like,” I tell him. 

 

“Just as easy to love,” Brian says, under his breath.

 

I got up to go help Ted with Poppy, but the whole way over, all I could hear was that Brian admitted to loving someone. “Make sure to do what you can to set Michael straight,” I tell Ted, kissing the man who gave me my life.

 

BRIAN 

 

Blake and Ted came over to drop Poppy off with Justin. We'd planned to arrive at Deb’s together. Before we could leave Blake said he'd rather stay with Justin and the kids. Then Emmett and Drew arrived with Jenny, which wasn’t something we discussed.

 

“Bine,” She squealed, running to me.

 

“Explain,” I ask, while picking up Jenny.

 

“Walter told Mel and Lindsay that Michael was bringing Eli and Monty, along with Eli’s cousin, who’s a surgeon. We thought it would be better for Jenny not to be there, so I let Mel know about everything,” He says, putting Drew in front of him.

 

“Why is Walter helping?” I ask. 

 

“Mel and Lindsay were worried about you,” He tells me. 

 

“Which doesn't explain anything, Lindsay always worries,” Ted tells him.

 

“They set Walter up with Phillip. Apparently they did what Michael couldn’t, find someone to date Walter. So he is sort of ‘team lesbian’ now. Which means he's team whatever Lindsay wants, which is Brian and Justin making up,” Emmett tells us. 

 

“It's fine, Jenny and I are buddies, aren’t we Sweetheart?” Justin catches Jenny as she easily goes to him. “Have fun, call if you need me,” Justin kissed me, and Jenny puckered up, waiting her turn.

 

I kissed both, then rolled my eyes at Emmett for keeping Drew between us. Like he couldn't hold his own in a fight. “It wasn’t like I expected you to manage to keep anything a secret,” I glared.

 

“Did you really think Jenny being there was a good idea?” He asks, running to his car.

 

“You have to give him some credit, he only told Mel,” Drew points out.

 

“Everyone else already knew,” I pointed out.

 

“Just look at it as he kept it from Michael. Which for Emmett isn’t normally possible,” Ted tells me. 

 

Deb was standing outside when we got to her house. The gang barely tolerates ‘the perfect neighbors’, Deb doesn’t even make that much effort, but for me she was willing to deal with them. It's one thing I no longer worry about with Deb, since she and Carl got together she's stopped rushing to defend Michael.

 

“Do me a favor and give Eli and Monty a reason to not want to come here again,” She tells me, taking a deep breath before going back in.

 

It took two seconds to figure out what pissed her off. Michael let his friends take over Deb’s kitchen. Something no one who wants to live would ever consider doing. 

 

Michael saw me and with Ben pushing him to the living room, he came to talk to me.

 

“Look I know what I did was wrong, but when you think about it, he obviously wasn’t as into the relationship as you were,” Michael tells me. 

 

“Michael.” Ben practically growls.

 

“Sorry, okay. I shouldn't have done it,” He grumbles.

 

“I'm sure Ben is sorry you did it, but then he's the brains in this marriage,” I tell him, leaving him standing there. “Who do we have here tonight? Marvin and Eddy, long time no see, but then I try to make a point of not seeing either of you unless I have to,” I quip.

 

It's Monty and Eli,” Eli grits out.

 

“Why would I care? But hey, who's the victim you brought?” I ask, looking at the guy with distaste.

 

“Just a friend I wanted everyone to meet. Robin is a surgeon, and Eli’s cousin,” Michael says, as if we should be bowing at the guy's feet.

 

“Hey everyone, sorry we're late,” Mel comes running in, dragging Lindsay stumbling behind them.

 

“Where’s my Honeybun?” Michael asks, upset not to see her.

 

“Poppy wanted to have the kids over, so Blake decided to stay home with the kids,” Ted tells him. 

 

“You should have called and let me know, I might have wanted to see her,” Michael chastised Mel.

 

“Honeybun?” Robin asks.

 

“Mikey never realized that calling someone a pet name really shows how little you respect them,” I comment, seeing Michael frown.

 

“Brian, can we talk outside for a minute?” Ben asks.

 

“Why Zenny Benny, going to coach me on how to be an adult? It hasn't done much for Mikey,” I tell him, smiling.

 

“What's wrong with you Brian? I apologized,” Michael pouts.

 

“Seriously Brian, he did,” Emmett says, assuming the same position as Michael.

 

“I must have missed it. But then I tend to tune out when Michael talks about most things. I find it hard to listen when he only seems to talk about plots to bad comics,” I tell Emmett.

 

“I can see that, I usually play ‘tops and bottoms’ while he talks,” Emmett tells us.

 

“Blake just makes me dance to avoid those conversations,” Ted adds.

 

“Guys come on, my Honeybun can't help that he still gets a hard on for Captain Astroglide,” Deb says, while patting Michael on the head.

 

“Astro. Not… never mind. How about we ALL sit down and try the meal that Robin so nicely made for us,” Michael growls when we all ignored him.

 

“Robin?” I ask. 

 

“Yes. You know, the guy I just introduced you to,” He says, barely refraining from yelling.

 

“Sorry, I try to forget anyone Michael introduces me to, but then they're all pretty forgettable. Mikey’s taste in men, and mine are… well, let's just say I'm more discriminating in mine. Well, there was Ben, but that was just a one off for me. I'm surprised they didn’t bring Walter to meet you, he's always the first one you get victimized with,” I tell Robin. 

 

“Apparently he's taken now,” Robin says smiling.

 

“Don’t tell me Michael is trying to hook you up with Emmett? Drew tends to get pissed about that, but maybe Ted, since Blake won't get involved in the ‘saving the queer from sin society’,” I tell him, kind of liking the guy.

 

“I was told that Eli wanted me to help cheer up a friend of his. Apparently he got his heart broken recently,” He tells me, not flirting at all.

 

“Ben, are you and Michael breaking up? At least with Robin you can use big words,” I tell him. 

 

“We're not… Brian knock it off. Everyone let's sit down. Robin why not sit between Brian and Ted since they're both partner-less tonight,” Michael says, getting upset. 

 

“Mikey, do us a favor tonight and let Ben show you how to hold your fork,” I say, sitting in my designated seat.

 

“I really just came to meet the man that got Justin to agree to a date,” Robin whispers, causing Michael to smile at us.

 

“You know Justin?” Ted asks, loud enough for Michael to hear.

 

“I work with his best friend. Unfortunately Justin wasn’t interested,” He shrugged.

 

“I'm sure you'd have more in common with Brian,” Michael tells him.

 

“Why?” I ask Michael.

 

“Well, um, you both are... “ Michael seemed to stop when he couldn’t find anything to say.

 

“Tall?” Emmett offers.

 

“Graduated college?” Lindsay tries, ruining it by giggling.

 

“Both want the same man?” Drew offers.

 

“Guys, apparently since Brian seems to be into doctors. Michael probably thinks they’re interchangeable,” Ted says.

 

“Maybe, but normally I go for well... not anything that Michael would choose. Wait let's not forget Ben,” I said, while Ben bowed his head trying not to laugh.

 

“It was a long time ago, and can we not bring that up,” Michael says, practically breathing fire.

 

“It didn’t want Marve, Eddie, and Robin missing out on a real dinner at Deb's. Which normally includes listening to Michael talk about how to get a swing set for Stepfordville, and how little I'm doing to show straight people how much Michael is just like them. How's that going by the way? Have they figured out yet that just because you like Ben to slip it to you doesn’t mean you're really gay,” I ask.

 

“Brian, it's about getting respect,” Monty tells me.

 

“Is it? Because kill me if I ever decide to become a dickless fag. Michael’s already doing that for me, since he's the epitome of best friend,” I tell him.

 

“Brian.” Michael growls.

 

“What? I was just treating our friendship the way you do,” I tell him. 

 

“I've always treated our friendship as if it's the most important thing in our lives. Which you haven't done since you met Justin. I don't forget the people who were there for me. While I'm defending myself, you really need to think about the fact that he could be some deranged stalker who used us to get to you,” Michael tells me. 

 

“Justin?” Robin whispers to me.

 

“Got me on this one,” I whisper back.

 

“Are you still… REALLY?” Mel asks.

 

“Think about it. Brian dumped the kid after tricking with him. Somehow he ends up being my Honey… Jenny’s doctor,” Michael says, like it explains anything.

 

“Shit Brian, you think Justin somehow tricked Blake and I into calling him? I know guys tend to do crazy shit to get your attention. Like the shit Michael did, but Justin must be really devious. I mean, to wait all these years plotting, you know, like Astroglide,” Ted says, looking scared.

 

“Astro!” Michael yells.

 

“If he'd had been Astroglide, we might have listened more,” Emmett says, trying not to giggle. 

 

“You think Michael was trying to keep you from Justin’s evil clutches? I mean, it only took a month for us to get an appointment with Justin. All that time, he was plotting to get to you,” Mel tells me, rolling her eyes. 

 

“And I cooked dinner for him, shame on me,” Emmett says. 

 

“I'm serious!” Michael yells.

 

“There's a scary thought, Michael actually thinking without help,” Ben joins the fray.

 

“Did it hurt to have to think?” I ask. 

 

“Monty, maybe we should go,” Eli tells him, starting to get the picture.

 

“But I haven't gotten to you two yet,” I smirk.

 

“Enough! Don't you get that he wasn’t the one for you?” Michael asks me. 

 

“What did Justin do to make you think that? Was it that like all of you, I spent time with him when we first got together. Could Mel be right? Were you pissed because our friends were invited by me to meet the man I was falling in love with, while you were at dinner discussing how nothing is your fault where your daughter is concerned? Was I too happy with someone that wasn’t part of your cult? Give me one fucking reason that you had for fucking me over, while claiming you know anything about what's best for me! Because right now I'm not even sure why I once thought you were the best friend you claimed to be,” I tell him. 

 

“I… it… you were…” He stutters.

 

“He made me fucking want to wake up in the morning, just to feel him next to me. I spent my entire life hating anyone touching me while I slept, because it's the one time I couldn’t defend myself. But with Justin, I couldn’t get close enough. Thanks to you I almost lost him, because you know me best!” I tell him, losing control.

 

“I'll talk to him. I'll make him see it was my fault,” Michael rushes out.

 

“Do not go near him. Your brand of help is the last thing I need,” I tell him, getting up and going to the one person who could ground me.

 

“I didn’t mean…” Was the last thing I heard before slamming the door.

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian came in the house, looking as if he was just done. The kids didn't notice, which only showed me he was good at masking his emotions. He caught Jenny when she ran to hug him and checked on Gus before saying he needed a shower. Blake told me he'd stay with the kids, so I could check on Brian.

 

Brian was laying on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I laid next to him, waiting to see if he wanted to talk about it.

 

“He's my best friend, but the second I step outside what he thinks I want…” He trails off.

 

“Blake thinks Michael doesn’t like anyone that pulls you away from Michael. Which apparently is what I've been doing, at least in Michael’s head,” I tell him. 

 

“You don’t get to make excuses for Michael. We've all done that and this is the result. It wasn’t something I wanted you to have to deal with,” He tells me, pulling me to him.

 

“I'm not making excuses for him, just trying to rationalize why, as Jenny’s doctor he's fine with me, but me having anything to do with you, bothers him. Why would he care when he's happily married to Ben?” I ask.

 

“It's likely his fear of being alone. But I can't be his answer. The life I want is with you, while we watch our kids plot our lives together,” He tells me, making me love him more because it was about us and our kids. 

 

“God help us, they think we need to be in time-out for breaking up,” I tell him, getting the laugh from him I was hoping for. 

 

“After tonight, I honestly don't care what he wants. Bringing another guy when he knew I was pissed about the other night wasn't the way to say he was sorry. I never believed in apologies, but treating our relationship like it was only you being a doctor that I wanted,” He tells me. 

 

“Blake and Gus sort of filled me in on the guys he set you up with. None of them sounded like anyone you'd be interested in for a relationship,” I tell him. 

 

“Which I wasn’t, but then maybe that was his goal. He liked being friends with the Stud, more than me,” He tells me. 

 

“I think it was more that he still depends on you for everything, when he should depend on Ben. It said a lot when in my office, until you showed up they weren’t listening, but when you showed up, all of them did. Mel might have acted like she didn't want you involved, but all it would have taken was her telling me you weren’t approved to hear anything. As much as she protested, not once did she ask you to leave. It was most likely she knew Michael wouldn’t act up with you there,” I tell him. 

 

“Which should be Ben’s job, not mine,” He tells me. 

 

“I agree, but in any group they defer to the one who leads. From what I've seen of Ben and Michael’s relationship, Ben caters to Michael’s tantrums, the way Mel does for Lindsay. Instead of Ben and Mel taking over, they let Michael and Lindsay go at it, most likely waiting for you to deal with them. Which you did. The only difference in the couples was that Mel and Lindsay at least saw they needed to worry about Jenny,” I tell him. 

 

“Michael and Lindsay showed up at your office bickering the next day,” He pointed out. 

 

“But after that, Lindsay called the doctor to set up the appointment. Which Michael could have done if he was as concerned as he was saying. I'm not saying he doesn't love his daughter, but he takes a backseat when it comes to anything that solves the problem. It's probably a role he's played so long he doesn't even know he's doing it. Then you add Ben’s avoidance of anything to Michael’s indecision. You get two people who depend on someone else to keep from having to deal with the fallout of any decision. It’s where Blake and I think you come in, and why Ben likes the idea of you dating someone in their social set. It keeps him from having to deal with the parts of Michael he doesn't like. So, like I said, deferring to the one who leads, which also means keeping you from making them figure it out,” I tell him. 

 

“It's something I've done since I met them, they've never been good at handling their problems. It's why I gave up my rights to Lindsay and Mel, so they'd get back together, because it's what they both wanted,” He tells me. 

 

“So your wants didn’t matter? Let me guess, when it was a decision between what Michael wanted and what you did, Michael normally got what he wanted?” I ask. 

 

“It never mattered until I met you,” He tells me. 

 

“Hopefully he figures it out, because as much as I'm not happy with what he did, he's still someone who's a big part of your life,” I tell him.

 

“I'm not sure he'll ever get it, although the guy he brought tonight was a least a step up from the usual. Granted, he seemed more interested in knowing how I got you to agree to a date,” He tells me, cheering up.

 

“Did you tell him you used your kid to get me to agree?” I joke.

 

“I'm told him you wanted my body,” He says smugly.

 

“It's really hard to resist,” I tell him, unbuttoning his shirt.

 

“Why resist, when you own it,” He says, while helping me get our clothes off.

 

We didn’t take it slow, because we knew the kids would eventually show up. He spooned in, turning me over. Then prepped me for him and didn’t waste any time sliding home. I bit into the pillow to keep from alerting Gus and posse that they needed to save us. Brian pulled out, slamming back in and making sure to hit my prostate with each thrust. We sealed our moans in our kisses, but broke apart as I came. He rode me through my orgasm then finally reached his. We laid there, trying to regain the strength to move.

 

“Dad, are you and Brian done making sure he washes behind his ears?” Gwen yells through the door.

 

“Ears. Is that the best Blake could do?” Brian whispers, snickering.

 

EMMETT 

 

I like a good tongue lashing, just ask Drew. It's just I didn’t enjoy Brian pouring his heart out because Michael acts like an asshole. I waited to see if Michael bought a vowel or at least recognized he fucked up. I think Ben started to see he couldn’t sit around playing innocent partner to Michael’s bullshit. Maybe in order to help Brian, we needed to help Ben. Michael was in the kitchen apologizing to Monty, Eli, and Robin for Brian, which told me Michael was still clueless.

 

I yanked Ben out the front door, because for some reason he goes blind, deaf, and dumb where Michael is concerned. Tonight was the first time he actually said something that didn’t defend Michael.

 

“It's time you show Michael who he's married to,” I tell him. 

 

“I know he tends to go overboard when it comes to Brian, but Brian is the one who came to him saying he was ready for a relationship,” He says, stopping when I roll my eyes.

 

“I'm sure Brian regrets saying that to him after the parade of losers Michael has marched through Kinnetik, the diner, and Babylon. Which I didn’t come out here to talk to you about,” I tell him. 

 

“Why did you want to talk to me?” He asks. 

 

“Because as much as Michael loves you, he doesn't respect your place in his life. Which you don't help by letting him depend on Brian. Do yourself a favor and show Michael you’re just as much an Alpha as Brian is. Brian didn’t marry Michael, you did. So show Michael that Brian isn’t the only man who can take charge. Believe it or not, it's sexy when your man takes charge,” I tell him, thinking of Drew. 

 

Ben did his inner Zen thing before nodding and walking in. I followed behind him, ready to get Drew and go check on Brian. Holy hell, Ben can do Alpha well.

 

“Michael, we're going home,” He says calmly.

 

“Eli thought…”

 

“NOW MICHAEL!” Ben made us all jump.

 

Michael’s eyes nearly popped out of his head at the voice that could rival Deb's. Only, he also took off with Ben like an eager puppy. Shit, maybe Michael likes the whole being yelled at, which sort of makes sense since Deb yells while she's talking. On the way out, Lindsay asked if she should get Gus and Jenny, so Brian and Justin could have time together.

 

“Why not let Brian decide,” Mel tells her.

 

“Mel, aren’t you the one who thinks Brian is evil?” Teddy jokes.

 

“I've decided to accept that the women in my life love all that is Kinney,” She sighs dramatically.

 

“I might love Brian, but you're the one who went to slay his dragon. My hero,” Lindsay says, batting her eyes at Mel. 

 

“Just don’t tell him, it will just have him thinking the apocalypse is coming,” Teddy jokes. 

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Brian agreed to be with everyone while Jenny got her tubes put in. I had a full day of appointments since I took off on Friday, but was planning to stop by and check on Jenny when the doctor finished with her. Brian quizzed me on what to expect, but was relieved to hear it was a minor surgery, and she'd be out and home before Gus got out of school.

 

At first, I thought Michael was waiting at the entrance for me to continue to do whatever it is he was trying to achieve on Brian’s birthday, but he surprised me in only being concerned about Jenny. For the first time Michael questioned what could have caused it, not looking to blame anyone, just curious. It seemed Operation Alpha has Michael not wanting to say anything Ben wouldn’t like.

 

“Like I've said a few times, nothing other than she gets ear infections easily,” I tell him. 

 

“I keep feeling like it was my fault, and in case you haven't figured it out, I'm not great at taking blame. Ben and I talked, well he talked... and I'm hoping we can put the past aside,” He tells me. 

 

“Michael, what you did is not going to be something I can overlook. Which it seems the people in your life think is most of the problem with you. What you did hurt Brian, and that makes it not okay with me,” I tell him. 

 

“Or him. He's been ignoring me since we got here,” He mumbles.

 

“Is that why you're here, for Brian?” I ask, disappointed that this was what he worried about.

 

“No. It's just I thought he would be over it by now,” He tells me. 

 

“I'm going to check with Dr Franklin,” I tell him, understanding Michael had a one track mind. 

 

“Who?” He asks, which really said a lot.

 

“The man who will be cutting into your daughter's eardrum,” I tell him, walking off.

 

Daphne was sitting with the girls, making sure to keep them updated. Which was really code for my best friend has the hots for Trent Franklin. When it came to Trent, Daphne became a twelve year old fan girl. When I walked in, Brian was rolling his eyes at even Mel being a bit tongue tied when Trent came in and told them everything went perfectly. 

 

“She’s scaring me,” Brian joked.

 

“He has the same effect on practically everyone,” I tell him. 

 

“Does he make you into a giggling twat?” He asks.

 

“Nope, only you do that,” I tell him, kissing him.

 

“Jesus, we're here for Jenny, not for you two to make out,” Michael says, staring at us.

 

“Michael,” Ben warns.

 

“Like I said, Jenny came through the surgery like a champion. Which means Dr Taylor will be taking over now. Make sure to do as he asks,” Trent tells them, seeming to think Michael needed to pay attention more.

 

“Michael and I will listen to what Dr Taylor tells us,” Ben tells Michael.

 

“Since it’s done, we can all have lunch together,” Michael tells Brian.

 

“My only plans are to make sure the girls have what Jenny wants, since it should be her day to be a princess,” Brian tells him.

 

“I'll pick up Gus and Gwen,” I tell him. 

 

“Ben and I wanted to pick Gus up,” Michael complains.

 

“We did?” Ben asks.

 

“Gus needs to know Jenny is important too,” Michael tells us.

 

“That's one thing our son knows and does everyday,” Mel tells him, making sure Michael doesn’t miss that she included Brian as Gus’s father. 

 

“I think Michael should pick Gus up. Gus mentioned he really wanted to talk to him,” Lindsay tells us.

 

“Then Dr Taylor can worry about his kid while we take care of ours,” Michael tells her.

 

“If the PARENTS would like to see Jenny, then follow me,” Trent tells them.

 

Michael marched ahead of everyone, but stopped when Brian didn’t follow. “I'm sure Dr Taylor has other patients,” Michael tells me. 

 

“MICHAEL!” Ben growled.

 

“Fine. But as all of you keep reminding me, today is about Jenny,” He tells us, stomping off.

 

“I'd normally apologize for Michael,” Ben says, letting us know he didn't plan to. “If you want us to pick up Gus we will,” Ben tells Lindsay.

 

“Gus would love a chance to talk to Michael,” Mel smirks.

 

MICHAEL 

 

Ben decided that since I announced I wanted to pick up Gus, then I get to do it alone. He's been acting like he's ready to spank my ass any time I say something. Gus was standing at the curb, making me wait while he talked to practically every kid standing around. He finally graced me with his presence ten minutes later.

 

“I thought it would be great for you to spend time with me,” I tell him.

 

“The way you thought my dad breaking up with Justin was great?” He asks. 

 

“Gus, it wasn’t me trying to break them up. I just wanted to give your dad a party when no one else did,” I tell him. 

 

“Dad hates celebrating his birthday. Which everyone but you knows, apparently,” He tells me. 

 

“He thinks he doesn't want to celebrate,” I correct Gus.

 

“My dad knows what he wants. Which, for some reason you think only you do. Like, he really wants Jus, even though you seem to THINK he doesn't,” He tells me. 

 

“Gus, this is really something only grown ups understand,” I tell him. 

 

“I understand that you need to get a life, one that lets my dad be happy with Jus. A man who he's told me he loves. And just to get it straight in your head, he doesn't THINK it, he KNOWS it. If you mess this up for my dad, than as far as I'm concerned you're not the best friend you ram into everyone's head that you are. Uncle Blake told me best friends are people who can see past their own wants for their friends. You need to stop thinking my dad is your personal property, and worry about Ben. Justin will take care of my dad, not you.” Gus tells me, putting in his earbuds.

 

The rest of the ride was silent, with Gus rushing out of the car like I was the last person he wanted to spend time with. I followed him in, thinking Mel and Lindsay need to teach him to respect his elders.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was nervous as we walked up to his mother's house. He told me it was more that he'd never really brought anyone to meet her. I liked her from the minute she opened the door.

 

“Justin has told me absolutely nothing about you. Just don't believe him if he described me as anything but a great potential mother-in-law,” She teases.

 

“According to Gwen, not so great as a ghost hunter. Much to Gus’s disappointment." I tell her.

 

“One ghost was all I asked,” Gus sighs.

 

“I'll work on that for you. If you and your father come with us to the family reunion, my mother will probably be happy to look for one with you,” Jen tells him.

 

“Gwen already invited me,” Gus tells her. 

 

“Of course she did,” Justin says, laughing.

 

The kids ran out to play in the backyard, while we sat with Jen and Tucker, getting to know each other. Tucker was teasing Justin about once having a problem with his age. Which Justin took with grace since the age gaps were almost even.

 

“How did you two meet?” He asks me. 

 

“He came to my office,” Justin tells him. 

 

“Actually we met a long time ago, but really didn’t spend time getting to know each other,” I tell Tucker.

 

“I'll admit I was a little concerned you two were moving so fast. Gwen mentioned you stay over a lot,” Jen tells me. 

 

“Why waste time when he's everything I've been looking for,” I tell her, hoping to ease any concern about us.

 

“It was the same for me with Jen. Don't roll your eyes, Justin. Sometimes it doesn't matter how long you've been together,” Tucker tells me.

 

“I’m going to make sure Gus and Gwen aren’t arranging our wedding. Do me a favor by making sure my mother doesn’t either,” Justin says to me, laughing.

 

“I hope it didn't come off as me trying to sound like I don't approve. As long as Justin loves you, it's all I care about,” She tells me. 

 

“It's the one thing we agree on,” I tell her. 

 

“Then welcome to the family. You'll meet his sister Molly when you meet my mother. In fact my whole family will probably kidnap you, because they've been waiting for Justin to finally bring someone for them to marry him off to,” She teases.

 

By the time we left, Gus was in love with his new Nana. Jen let him know he was welcome anytime, not just when Justin brought him. The kids were practically asleep when we were driving Gus back to his moms.

 

“Thank you,” I tell Justin.

 

“You're welcome. But clue me in on what I did?” He asks. 

 

“Other than Deb, Gus doesn’t have any grandparents that treat him like he exists,” I tell him. 

 

“Wait till he meets my Nana and her sisters, he'll be overloaded,” He tells me. “What about the girls, their parents?” He asks. 

 

“Lindsay’s weren’t much of parents to her, and even less to Gus. Deb tries to make up for it, and Gus says he doesn't need the Peterson’s for anything, because of the way they treat Lindsay,” I tell him. 

 

“I'm assuming Mel's family isn't much better?” He asks. 

 

“They barely talk to Jenny. Mel marrying Lindsay wasn’t kosher enough for them,” I tell him. 

 

“My Dad and his new wife are pretty much the same. It's why Gwen’s only met them once, and that was by accident,” He tells me. 

 

“What happened?” I ask. 

 

“They were horrified that anyone would let a gay man adopt a child. Of course, when we're out in public they try to pretend they don't know me. It kills them that people barely acknowledge them, but my mother and Tucker are invited to all the things they can’t get invited to,” He tells me. 

 

“Is there some reason they get ignored?” I ask. 

 

“My mom comes with the right connections, all they see is a social climber in my stepmother, Brenda. She shows up, trying to shit on my mom. It's one thing for the ‘in’ people to do something, but they close ranks on people who they feel don't belong. My father was only allowed because of my mother. Now it's because he pays the fee for the privilege. Hopefully you and I can avoid him,” Justin tells me.

 

We got to the girls house, I carried a sleeping Gus in and put him to bed. We then stopped at my loft to get things I needed for the next day. When we got to Justin’s, I carried Gwen in while he grabbed my bag and locked up the house. I helped her get ready for bed, staying when she whispered my name.

 

“Yes princess?” I ask. 

 

“I want you around for a long time,” She says, drifting off to sleep again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I woke up alone, but knew, like I had for the last month, where to find everyone. We were leaving this afternoon for my family reunion. The last month Brian rarely went home, just showed up here after work with what he needed for the next day. After a week of him carrying a bag back and forth, I suggested leaving stuff here. Slowly Brian’s things were trickling into the house. He seems to like seeing our clothes next to each other. After we get back I plan to ask him if he wants to live here, and was really only stalling, considering the only thing he lacks to truly live here was a change of address. I walked into the kitchen, smiling as Brian, Gus, and Gwen were staring at the pancakes they were making. Brian claimed to not really know how to cook, and his first attempts had us calling out for pizza. 

 

I introduced him to the recipes on the sides of the boxes, which was kind of funny because he seemed disappointed when he made biscuits and said they tasted like Deb’s. Emmett explained later that Deb gave the impression that everything she cooked was made from secret family recipes, then told me it was easier to just pretend not to see the bisquick she hid behind the pots and pans. 

 

In the last month, Deb made it an edict that all her boys showed up and had Sunday dinner. Gwen liked Deb’s rather large personality. Gwen was used to my mom’s more reserved ways, but even I enjoyed Deb’s quips. She hadn’t been happy with Michael, and it took her a few weeks before she let him attend dinners at her house. The guys told me it’s normal that Michael eventually gets in Deb’s good graces. I understand, because in the end he was still her son. 

 

I almost asked Brian, after Jenny’s first check up, if Michael had multiple personality disorder. Michael and Ben brought her when Mel had a meeting she couldn’t get out of. Lindsay told Brian it was time for Michael to take on the responsibility that he bitched and whined that he wanted, according to Mel. He felt if Brian was allowed to do something for Gus, he should be treated the same way when it came to Jenny. He came in and listened while I answered Ben’s questions about things they could do to help Jenny. Ben left for a minute when he got a call, leaving us alone with Jenny. Michael mentioned an event for kids that he and Ben wanted to take Jenny to, and thought it would be something Gwen might enjoy. When they left, he shook my hand and thanked me for taking care of Jenny. So I didn’t get when we were at Deb’s and he tried to dominate every conversation to talk about his past with all the guys. Leaving out Drew, Blake, and me. He didn’t do it in a way that any of us could take offense at, but it was pretty obvious the conversations were to remind the others about their friendships with Michael. It was also interesting watching Ben rein him in, there was a bet that Michael likely had a bald spot. Ben would run his hand around the back of Michael’s head then yank when Michael tales ended with Brian tricking the night away, or the mention of a past exploit of one of the guys. I realized it wasn’t just me that Michael disapproved of, but Blake and Drew also. Apparently Michael didn’t like anything that distracted his friends from what he wanted them to do. 

 

Deb told me that she blames herself for the way Michael acts, because she held on tightly to Michael while he was growing up. Which sort of made sense, since Michael was doing the same thing. Michael had a harder time with Brian than with me. Brian was still giving him the cold shoulder, which seemed to get worse as time went on. I wanted to ask why he seemed to distance himself from Michael more. I knew from the way everyone described them, that eventually they would both let go of what ever caused them to be pissed at each other. I wanted to try and find a way that Brian and Michael could still be friends, because I know if Daphne and I fell out, I’d miss the hell out of her. I didn’t try to interfere or help, because Brian simply asked me to leave it alone. 

 

We’d been spending time around my mom and Tucker, with me begging her not to make a big deal about Brian to my grandmother and great aunts. She agreed because she made that mistake with Tucker. The cackling hens of my family, were prepared when Tucker came, and to this day Tucker said he almost ran screaming when they started asking my mom if Tucker was big all over. To me it’s better they don’t have time to plot, so Brian and Gus were going to be a surprise. 

 

BRIAN

 

It was like finding out that Santa didn’t exist when I started to figure out this cooking thing wasn’t as hard as Deb always made it seem. I spent the dinners we endured to make Deb happy, spying on her. You want to know what I found out, all the pots were just for show. I remember coming to dinner and Deb would be slaving away when we arrived and then order us all out of her kitchen. I snuck back in to see her dumping a jar of Ragu in a pot, then realized I could do that, sort of. It was really just me trying not to have to bring out my inner asshole around the kids. 

 

I knew everyone waited for the usual, Michael and I acting like nothing happened. In the past, it didn’t matter because there was nothing I could lose when Michael did his stupid shit. Even Justin didn’t understand why I wouldn’t let it go. I tried, but every time Michael called or showed up at Kinnetik, he would extend an invitation to his house. Then bring up other guys who were going to be there. I mentioned that we should go out to Babylon, then said that we should leave Ben at home while Michael checked out the guys there. Michael didn’t understand why I would expect him to go out without Ben, which only told me he still didn’t see Justin as my partner. Until he did, I didn’t see the point in staying friends with him. 

 

Michael found out about me going with Justin’s family to the reunion and tried to get the guys and Deb to plan a family get together for the same weekend. Deb warned me what Michael was up to, because she happens to love Justin and I together. When Deb refused to do it, Michael tried to get out of Emmett and Ted where I was going. When that didn’t work, he tried to get it out of Mel and Lindsay, suggesting a vacation where we all take the kids. Ben thought it was a great idea and planned a trip for Michael, Hunter, and Jenny. I almost wanted to suggest they lose Michael in the wilderness while they went camping. At the same time, I missed the friend Michael could be. 

 

The way he treated Justin seemed to change as long as he didn’t see us together. Justin assured me that Michael didn’t do or say anything that I warned him about. Which was the only reason we still went to dinner at Deb’s, because between Ben and Deb, Michael seemed to get that no one was going to let it slide anymore. 

 

The strangest thing that came out of all this was that Mel was on our side. She told me, that to her, all that mattered was that Gus and I were happy with Justin. I think it helped that Lindsay didn’t do what Michael was doing and that their relationship had started to get better, because Lindsay had stopped trying to run my life. Lindsay and Justin got along well, figuring out that they knew some of the same people. Lindsay pulled me aside and told me all about Justin’s father and stepmother. Apparently even Lindsay’s parents, who didn’t like Lindsay being gay, liked even less that Brenda Taylor was admitted to their country club. 

 

I looked at the pancake that didn’t burn and happily slid it on a plate for Gus. Gwen poured hers and it came out perfect. I might not have made it from scratch but as far as I was concerned as long as it was edible, it was a win. Justin came in, grabbing a cup of coffee, kissing me, then the kids before sitting down. I watch the family that I hope to one day make more official. I’d been slowly moving in with Justin, but I wanted it to be more than my clothes in his closet. After this weekend, it was time to talk about taking the next step. I knew Justin had told his mother he wanted to surprise his family with me. Which I didn’t really get, like I have a problem with holding my own with anyone.

 

Every day that I knew Justin’s mother made me love her even more. She made sure Gus was included anytime Gwen was staying with her. She even included Jenny and Poppy on outings. She told me she loved being a grandmother and didn’t really care who’s kid it was. She and Deb met and one of the things that really showed me the woman Justin’s mother was, was that nothing about Deb put her off. They got along from the minute they met, even going out together on occasion when Carl or Tucker couldn’t go. I started to see it wasn’t just about Justin and me, but the idea that all of us were moving on with our lives that was the real problem for Michael. He didn’t see that we all still got together and if something happened we’d all be there for each other. All he saw was that everyone wasn’t circling around him and doing the things he wanted. 

 

All I wanted was my chance at a relationship, that until Justin, had been elusive. Being with Justin made me want things that I spent my life not really wanting. I didn’t miss the life I had before him, because it was empty. Other than Gus, I never thought love was worth letting someone in. Justin made it easy to tell him about my life. He seemed to know talking about my family wasn’t something that came easy to me, and let me do it at my own pace. It helped that he didn’t try to analyze my childhood, but simply let me know that he was fine not meeting them. He didn’t see any reason to include them in our lives, just like he didn’t include his father. It was something that made me love him more. 

 

We got everything cleaned up, and stopped to pick up a present for his sister. Daphne told me Molly is a lot like Justin, and would likely be happy to have the attention off her. I honestly didn’t have a problem with them wanting to marry me off to Justin, because when I see the future, it includes Justin, Gus, and Gwen.

 

“Promise me that you won’t egg my grandmother on,” Justin tells me.

 

“I’m sure it will be fine,” I tell him.

 

“You say that now, but trust me, she is going to try to shock you,” He tells me.

 

“Gran told me she can’t wait to meet him,” Gwen tells us.

 

“What?” Justin asks.

 

“She called while we were at Nana’s and I told her about Gus coming and that we were bringing our Brian too,” Gwen tells him, as Justin groans.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

BRIAN

 

We were pulling up to get Molly on our way to Vermont. Molly was a close second to Jen in my eyes. It took her a second to stop staring at me before she asked if I had a straight brother. Then joked that she’d wait for mini me to grow up, making Gus blush. She told Gus he could call her Molly or Aunt Molly since we were family. She asked Gus what he liked to do and when he told her he and Gwen were interested in ghost hunting right now, she told him they could check out some of the abandoned buildings in the woods and see what they could find.

 

Justin was complaining that their grandmother knew about me, which had Molly saying better him than her. 

 

“It’s not that bad, maybe they’ll be too busy being awestruck that you actually want them to meet someone. Grandpa will be just as happy to be left alone because of Brian,” Molly tells him.

 

“You’re just happy that they aren’t going to try to set you up with every grandson of their friends because they’ll be too busy trying to marry me off,” Justin tells her.

 

“We could surprise them, gay marriage is legal in Vermont,” I joke.

 

“You don’t think they haven’t already thought of that. Trust me, the minute I came out my grandmother and her sisters were first in line to vote for it,” I tell him.

 

We got to the house, which was huge and overflowing with people who all seemed to stop and stare at us pulling in. Molly took the kids with her as Justin seemed to not want to get out of the car.

 

“Justin?” I ask.

 

“I just want one minute before my grandmother and great aunts swarm,” He tells me.

 

“It’s going to be okay. I love that they will be happy that we’re together,” He tells me.

 

“It’s just the first time I wanted them to meet anyone. I know we’ve been together for a while but they’re going to start asking what our plans are, and then pushing us to move faster,” He tells me.

 

“Do you see a future without me?” I ask.

 

“There isn’t one if you aren’t in it,” He tells me.

 

“Then let them plan away, we do what we’re ready for,” I tell him.

 

“I’m ready to change your address,” He tells me.

 

“Great minds think alike,” I tell him, kissing him.

 

We were interrupted by a knock on the window. Justin laughed as three older women stood there looking put out that we hadn’t gotten out of the car. I shifted a bit to hide the way Justin affects me. Only, one of them was watching me and cackled, something Justin had joked about, but that was apparently true.

 

“Looks like Justin found a big man,” She said to her sisters.

 

“Grandma,” Justin said, turning red. “Let me introduce you to Grandma, and be smart and just call her that. Aunt Mary and Aunt Rose are the cackling hens besides her,” Justin tells me, laughing at them glaring at him.

 

“Get over it, you brought us a hunk and we were expecting a ninny, since you seemed to want to hide him from us. It’s obvious he can keep you satisfied,” Grandma tells him, still looking at my crotch.

 

“Grandma!” Justin warns.

 

“Honey, if you can’t find it, it’s not worth keeping,” Mary tells him.

 

“It’s why I divorced my first husband. It’s a lie that size doesn’t matter,” Rose tells us, holding up her pinky finger and wiggling it.

 

“Where is Grandpa?” Justin asks.

 

“Likely burning dinner on the grill,” She tells him.

 

“I’ll go see if I can help him,” I tell them, kissing Justin one more time to the awes of the hens. I left Justin to them, because I wanted to meet the man who survived these women.

 

“Good God Justin, he’s one hot piece,” I heard as I took off around to the backyard. 

 

I found Grandpa sitting with Gus and Gwen, trying to decide what went wrong with the grill. They were staring at the black things that looked like charcoal. 

 

“I don’t know, but Daddy Brian doesn’t burn things,” Gwen tells him.

 

That stopped me from saying anything to interrupt them, because it’s the first time she referred to me as anything other than Brian.

 

“Yeah. Dad’s been learning to cook, I think he wanted to give Daddy Jus a break,” Gus tells him.

 

“It’s why I try. But as you can see I’m still a bit behind Daddy Brian,” He tells them smiling.

 

“I don’t know how to grill either,” I tell him.

 

“I’m assuming you're my grandson’s boyfriend? Frank, and you’re Brian?” He asks, not really giving me a smile or anything to let me know how he feel about it.

 

“Hopefully more one day, and yes I’m Brian,” I tell him.

 

“Oh God, make sure you don’t tell the women. They be all over both of you to plan your lives,” He laughs.

 

“No worse than the rest of my friends,” I tell him.

 

“Sit down and maybe between the four of us we can figure out how this grilling thing works. It really chaps my ass that Molly does it better than me,” He tells me.

 

“Justin’s pretty good at it too,” I tell him.

 

“Auntie Em brings the sauce,” Gwen reminds me.

 

“We all like his sauce, it’s better than the stuff out of bottles,” Gus tells him.

 

“Emmett would also help us fake that we did it,” I smirk.

 

“Why did you forget to bring him? It’s been horrible when the hens cackle at my attempts,” He laughs.

 

“Poppy was sad she couldn’t come,” Gwen tells him.

 

“Who’s Poppy?” He asks her.

 

“My very bestest of friends, after Gus, and we like Jenny too,” Gwen tells him.

 

“Maybe we should call and see if we can get your very bestest friend for you,” He tells her.

 

“She really loves Daddy Jus,” Gus tell him.

 

“It’s hard not to love that boy, so I understand. From what I heard from my daughter, you're a hard little boy not to love too,” He tells Gus.

 

“I never had a Nana before. Grandma Deb’s cool, but she’s really my sister Jenny’s real grandmother. Nana feels like she belongs to me,” Gus tells him.

 

“It’s cause she says your her first grandson. Let’s go see if they have cookies,” Gwen tells Gus, dragging him off.

 

“Could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard who Justin was bringing. I never thought he’d be interested in someone in business,” Frank tells me.

 

“I don’t think he really cares what I do,” I tell him.

 

“When are you going to take Kinnetik national?” He asks.

 

“It’s been something we eventually want to do, but it would also take me away from Gus. Who still likes having me around,” I tell him, sitting down when he waves at a chair and hands me a beer.

 

“From what I heard, the big boys in New York are thrilled you haven’t taken them on yet,” He tells me.

 

“You seem to know a lot about me,” I tell him.

 

“I like to know who’s who. Your name keeps popping up in my circles,” He tells me.

 

“Good things I hope?” I ask.

 

“Very good,” He tells me.

 

“Why do I feel like I’m missing something here?” I ask.

 

“Frank Thomas, at your service,” He smiles.

 

“I’m honored you even know my name,” I tell the man who businesses called a fixer when they needed a way back from bankruptcy.

 

“You’ll likely never need me,” He tells me.

 

“About the grill, we could call Emmett and see if he could give us pointers,” I tell him, to change the subject. 

 

“Why call him, just tell him to come. The hens love to have people here. I think they need to meet all the people in your life too, because my grandson loves you,” He tells me.

 

“Frank, you done burning dinner?” Grandma yells.

 

“I didn’t catch her name,” I whisper.

 

“Grandma is all you ever need to call her. I’m good with Frank, but Grandpa warms my heart,” He tells me, rushing to get rid of the bricks that were likely steaks before the women all came out.

 

I tried not to give him away but he threw them behind the bushes into the dried brush underneath it. The hens started sniffing as the smoke started rising. Justin came out with a pitcher and in order to show solidarity with the men of the world who hadn’t gotten the grilling gene, I accidently bumped into Justin and got the pitcher to spill all on top of where Grandpa threw whatever it was before he charred it. Justin looked suspicious, but just dragged me with him to get more drinks for everyone.

 

“So, Grandpa said to invite Emmett,” I tell Justin.

 

“Shit. We are going to end up married before we leave here today if he asked you to call him that,” Justin tells me, not really seeming to care.

 

“I think he wants to shut up the haters of his grilling,” I tell him.

 

“It makes so much sense now. Were you protecting him from the hens?” Justin asks, pulling me down for a kiss.

 

“No. More like saving the house from being burnt down,” I tell him, kissing him again.

 

“Rose, we need to do some planning,” We hear from behind us.

 

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Emmett barely let me ask about the grilling before asking for directions. Apparently, Michael was running around trying to convince the guys to go camping with him and Ben, so they could show me what I was missing when I didn’t come. Emmett was trying to keep Drew from kicking Michael’s ass for calling and showing up the way he used to do at the loft. Since Gwen wanted it, I called Ted and Blake and offered them a child free weekend with tickets to the opera, while we kept Poppy for them. It was something I knew they loved, but Poppy wasn’t a fan. Ted and Blake agreed and I invited them to the reunion without thinking about waiting for Sunday to pick up Poppy. I hung up and was about to apologize for not even asking.

 

“Really, the more men the better. In case you haven’t looked around, the estrogen is winning,” Grandpa tells me.

 

“Please, it’s the men that normally show up, just makes me wonder where all the good ones are,” Rose tells him.

 

“At least you weren’t what we were expecting. We sort of decided Justin had a reason to want to hide you,” Grandma tells me, winking at me.

 

“Likely because Justin can’t keep his hands or other parts to himself when Brian’s around,” Mary tells them, as Justin turns around and goes back into the kitchen.

 

“We sent him running with his tail between his legs,” Rose cackles.

 

“Likely hoping this one will follow him,” Mary chimes in, pointing at me.

 

“Speaking of that, when are you and Justin going to live in sin?” Grandma asks.

 

“Mother, leave him alone. They already do,” Jen giggles, coming out with Gus and Gwen.

 

“Where is Justin?” Grandma asks.

 

“He and Molly took off to the old clubhouse. They thought it would be nice for the kids to play in, but you know Justin, he wanted to make sure it was cleaned and disinfected for them,” Jen tells us.

 

“Brian invited Poppy.” Grandpa tells her.

 

“All we need is Emmett and you can plan to your heart’s content; since Poppy is trying to convince Emmett to figure out how to marry Brian and Justin off,” Jen tells her.

 

“We just decided to live together, so save that for the next reunion,” I tease the hens.

 

“Brian, how about we take the kids for a walk, then you can see the clubhouse,” Grandma suggests, getting up and assuming I would follow her. Smart man that I am, I did.

 

Gus and Gwen ran ahead of us, Gwen already knowing where to go. Grandma walked beside me, pointing out all the places I could drag Justin off to, if the family got in the way of anything that we wanted to do.

 

“I’ve never really been into the wilderness, but maybe it’s time to spice things up,” I joke.

 

“I like the way you think. I just want you to know, as much as we tease, we mean well. We couldn’t help but be excited, Justin was finally willing to bring someone to meet us. My Frank told me he’d been impressed by the company you built,” She tells me.

 

“It was nice to hear that I was being recognized by him. I used to think New York meant I made it,” I tell her.

 

“Honey, you make it by showing them you can do it from anywhere. The place doesn’t matter. So, I heard you and Justin met at his office and that it wasn’t the first time. You might as well give us the dish Sweetie, because we’ll hound you till you do,” She tells me.

 

“We met the night Gus was born, but it wasn’t really the right time in either of our lives.” I tell her.

 

“Frank was the one I couldn’t forget, we met at a dance. He was leaving for college, and told me he came back because I was the one he couldn’t forget,” She tells me, smiling at the memory.

 

“It wasn’t anything like that at the time, just fun. Although I remember wondering why he never came back to Liberty Avenue again after that night,” I tell her.

 

“When would that have been?” She asks.

 

“He was seventeen at the time,” I tell her.

 

“He graduated early because of some problems in school. Then came to stay with Frank and me, before heading off to college with Daphne. Justin was struggling with telling his parents he was gay. It wasn’t like we expected any less from Craig, but I will never get how you turn away your child,” She tells me.

 

“It doesn’t seem to bother him that his father couldn’t accept him,” I tell her.

 

“Justin rarely gives anyone a second chance. When Craig told Justin he wasn’t his son if he was gay, Justin said ‘thanks for the donation’ and went on as if Craig was just that, a sperm donor. He wasn’t going to waste his time with someone who puts conditions on the love they are willing to give him,” She tells me, as we see Justin pushing Molly on a tire swing.

 

“Aren’t you getting a bit old for that?” Grandma asks Molly.

 

“Apparently I’m the test dummy, he said he’d rather stitch my butt and not the kids,” Molly tells her, sticking out her tongue at Justin.

 

“Justin, Molly needs to look her best, we invited the neighbor’s grandson to the reunion. We were going to invite someone for you too, but you brought one we like, so just ignore Ida’s grandson,” Grandma tells them, as Molly hung her head, realizing that she didn’t escape the hens.

 

“Who are you inviting for me?” Molly asks.

 

“That sweet Stevens boy,” She tells Molly, which seemed to be funny to both Molly and Justin.

 

“What’s wrong with Larry?” She asks them, suspicious.

 

“Nothing, but he would rather date either Justin or Brian,” Molly snickers.

 

“Well, then maybe I should introduce him to Ida’s grandson.,” Grandma reasons.

 

EMMETT

 

I hung up the phone and smiled that Brian wasn’t having any problems with Justin’s family. Deb mentioned that Jen invited her to come if she wanted to. We got to listen to Michael telling Deb she didn’t need to be friends with people just because Brian was hanging out with them. Michael didn’t like anything that had Deb involved with other people. I think we were all starting to realize it wasn’t just about Brian and Justin, but that Michael didn’t like changes he couldn’t control.

 

Drew was ready to go as soon as I called him. Drew had never been a fan of Michael, but tolerated him for Deb and me. I couldn’t figure out why Michael was acting the way he was. It made it hard for me to not want to deliver a slap to his head lately. Only I was worried about Ben, he did the alpha thing and it seemed to work. Justin even told us that Michael had behaved around him when they took Jenny for her appointments. It was just when Brian and Justin were together that he acted up. Only he wasn’t just saying shit about Brian, but about me and Ted too.

 

Drew knows everything about me, but told me that when Michael tells it, it bothers him the way Michael describes the past. Thinking about it, I realized Michael makes us sound like a gang of misfits, while he sounded like the one getting us out of trouble. I couldn’t say that in some cases it wasn’t true, about us getting into trouble. But looking back, it wasn’t Michael rescuing us, but Brian.

 

Something else I noticed was that our partners all tolerated Michael, but didn’t necessarily like him. Lately it was starting to seem like even Ben was only tolerating Michael, which to me was funny. Ben created Michael’s new views, and now was dealing with the monster he created. I know I should just stay out of it, but Ben trying the balding techniques wasn’t accomplishing any more than Deb's slapping. Blake got me thinking about Michael’s real problem, which has been his fear of being alone one day. Only he seems to forget Jenny, and well, the fact that none of us ever gave him a reason to think we'd abandon him. I was also worried we might be dealing with Michael seeing Brian wanting a relationship and questioning why it wasn't with him. It's not like everyone hasn't had that in their life, but you eventually move on to someone who gives you what the person you wanted just couldn’t.

 

So in hopes to get Michael’s head on straight, we were going to have lunch together. It was my way of trying to get Michael to see nothing had changed. He walked in, grumbling as he dropped into the booth.  Drew tells me my optimism in Michael was the one thing he never really understood about me, but supported anything that would get Michael to quit talking out of his ass.

 

“Ben’s pissed again.” Michael tells me.

 

“Why?” I ask, trying not to get up and run.

 

“He found out that I went to Mel and Lindsay trying to find out where Brian went with Justin. I told him I was trying to make this camping trip worth doing by getting all of you to come. For some reason he stomped out of the house, saying he wasn’t sure he wanted me to come,” Michael tells me, looking bewildered at why Ben got pissed.

 

“Why do you have a problem with Justin?” I ask.

 

“I don’t, he’s a great doctor, makes me wish my pediatrician was as good,” He tells me.

 

“Let me rephrase my question, why does Brian being with Justin bother you?” I ask.

 

“Jesus, it’s not because I want Brian the way I used to. It’s that since they met, Brian hasn’t bothered to spend any time with us,” He tells me.

 

“It’s the way every relationship starts, spending time with each other. Brian isn’t doing anything you, me, or Ted didn’t do when we started our relationships,” I tell him.

 

“You still invited me to things, they don’t. Since Brian’s birthday he acts like I’m bothering him by just stopping by. Gus treats me as if I haven’t been there all his life, he actually got on my ass,” He tells me.

 

“Gus is only trying to protect his father, and what you did brought out the Kinney in Gus. Let me give you a situation and you tell me if you’d be as pissed as Ben is. What if Ben did the things you have been doing, and the guy was someone Ben admitted to you that he loved? He involved the guy in everything you did, sometimes forgetting you in the process. Every plan he makes includes the other guy, then goes nuts when the guy starts seeing someone?” I ask him.

 

“I’d be wondering if he married me because the other guy didn’t want him. I don’t want Brian like that anymore,” He tells me, again.

 

“Then why would it matter to you that Brian and Justin are together? This last month, I’ll admit you’ve been nice where Justin is concerned, but the minute Brian made plans to go with Justin to meet his family, you went into overdrive with stories of Brian’s past. Which only made it sound like Brian wasn’t someone anyone should think long term with. You do get that this weekend means that things are getting more serious between them, and instead of being happy like everyone else, you start planning get togethers here. Sweetie, I have a feeling Justin and Brian are using this weekend to make decisions on what they see in the future for them, and if you don’t get with the program, you’ll be left behind,” I tell him.

 

“I don’t hate Justin, you know,” He tells me.

 

“Just that Brian wanted him. But Michael, you didn’t do so bad yourself,” I tell him.

 

“He loves me, even when no one understands,” He tells me.

 

“We are talking about Ben, right?” I joke.

 

“Of course, you think it would help if when Brian and Justin come back, to tell them I’m happy for them? I know I shouldn’t have interfered but it was hard to know that Brian was including everyone but me, when he and Justin had people over,” He tells me.

 

“I think it would help you with Ben, which should be the only thing that matters,” I tell him, happy that he was starting to see the things he should be doing.

 

“Auntie Em, Daddy said I get to go with you to see Gwen and Gus!” Poppy yells, as she comes through the door.

 

I wanted to lay my head on the table after she yelled it, because all my progress with Michael just went out the window.

 

“So everyone but my family is included?” Michael asks, getting up and leaving.

 

“Well Poppy, let’s go before the volcano erupts,” I tell her, cheerfully.

 

“Thank God we are all going to be away when it blows,” Ted tells me.

 

“Sorry, we didn’t realize he was there,” Blake tells me, wincing.

 

“I had him for a second,” I tell them.




 

Chapter 17 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

While I love my family for being happy for me, I was looking for a place for my guests to stay. The house was going to be overflowing with guests, and sleeping in the living room wasn’t how I wanted to spend the whole weekend. Grandma winked and handed me the keys to the cabin by the lake. 

 

“I figured you and Brian didn’t want to be cramped in the house with all of us, so Rose and I aired out the cabin for your group,” She tells me.

 

“I should go ahead and get our stuff over there,” I tell her.

 

“Why not take Brian while the kids are still having fun,” She tells me.

 

“I think that’s the best idea you’ve ever had,” I tell her, ready to be alone with Brian.

 

Brian was sitting with Grandpa when I found him. I whispered to him that we needed to get our things to where we would be staying for the weekend, and then added that Grandma volunteered to watch the kids while we were gone. Brian didn’t waste any time dragging me to the car. 

 

We drove down to the cabin, which was only a couple miles from my grandparents house. We left everything in the car and barely made it through the door before we were half naked. Only, we slowed down, because for once we didn’t have to worry about the kids catching us. 

 

I led Brian to the bedroom that overlooked the lake, our clothes were on the floor before we hit the bed. Brian rolled on top of me, grinding us together. He attacked my mouth with his lips and teeth, nipping and sucking as I writhed underneath him, needing more of him. It wasn’t long before I felt fingers opening me up and him opening the condom, and then I felt the blunt head of his cock demanding entrance. Brian pushed in slowly, watching my face as the pleasure overcame everything else. He pulled out and angled himself to hit my prostate with each inward thrust. He covered my neck in wet open-mouth kisses before pulling out and turning me over on my hands and knees and slamming back inside me, then he let go of any control, making every thrust faster and harder than the last one. He reached for my cock when he was getting close and helped me cum as he reached his release. We landed on the bed with him still on top of me, which I didn’t care about, the weight of him around me was comfortable. He didn’t pull out, but slowly moved his hips, and caused ripples of pleasure for both of us. Then he moved off my back, laying down next to me and discarding the condom before pulling me back in his arms.

 

We nodded off until my phone started ringing, warning us that we needed to get back. Brian and I grabbed the bags out of the car and figured we could finish unpacking when we came back later. 

 

“Why did they build a cabin so close to the house?” Brian asked as we drove back.

 

“The cabin was their first home, before they had my mom. They didn’t want to get rid of the house they started their marriage in, so they left it when they built the bigger house. My grandparents use it still, but not as often,” He tells me.

 

“I’m glad they're letting us use it,” I tell him.

 

“I’m sure you are, but I’m sure Grandma offered it for a different reason,” He tells me.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“Everyone she’s let use it, ends up married shortly after,” He laughs.

 

“I really like your Grandmother,” I tell him, parking and pulling him to me for one last kiss before entering the fray.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Emmett was a bit put out that the Hen’s were more interested in Drew then in him, but changed his mind when Grandpa explained that he put dibs on Emmett. After sniffling a little at being told he could call Grandpa either Frank or Grandpa, Emmett got serious about helping Grandpa’s quest to be the grillmaster. Justin’s family had Gus comfortable enough that he ran around as if he owned the place. Instead of Gwen introducing Poppy to everyone, Gus wanted to be the one to show off all his new relatives. I sat watching Emmett explain why Grandpa was burning everything, not really interested, since Justin was the griller in our family. I'd been getting to know people as they came to see Grandpa, while Justin was busy talking to his mother.

 

Justin came walking out of the house with a guy following him.

 

“I wondered where you went,” I tell Justin, letting him sit with me.

 

“Paul, meet my partner Brian. Paul is Aunt Rose’s grandson,” Justin tells me.

 

“How’s the job going?” Grandpa asks him.

 

“Good, I actually have news. I got the job with Kennedy and Collins. It seems they recognized a winner in me,” Paul boasts.

 

“I have heard they weren’t doing well. Hopefully you’ll pull them out of the slump they’ve been in,” Grandpa tells him.

 

“All the firms are experiencing issues due to companies tightening their marketing budgets, but it also means they're looking at the bigger firms versus the smaller ones,” Paul tell him.

 

“I noticed a firm out of Pittsburgh was still managing to grow,” Grandpa winks at me.

 

“Only because they think Brian Kinney is still cutting edge. Eventually they’ll get tired of the way he seems to only sell sex, not their product,” Paul says with authority.

 

“Honey, sex will always sell,” Emmett tells him.

 

“SEX, where?” Mary comes out, pulling Drew with her.

 

“In advertising. Frank was talking about the ‘IT’ boy in advertising right now, Brian Kinney,” Paul tells her.

 

“There’s an ‘IT’ boy?” Mary asks Frank.

 

“I wouldn’t call it that in the case Paul’s talking about. In the Ad world, Brian Kinney’s name is tossed around more. The companies go to him because he’s proven that he can increase their market share and the products stay in the customer’s head long after the campaign ends. So, like Emmett said, sex will always sell, and Brian knows exactly how to use it,” Grandpa tells her.

 

“Then why am I wasting my time meeting with Kennedy and Collins?” Mary asks.

 

“I didn’t know you were. Why did you agree to?” Grandpa asks.

 

“Paul told me you suggested it,” Mary glares at him.

 

“At least give my firm a chance to show you what we could do for you. I doubt you could get an appointment in time with Kinnetik,” Paul tells her.

 

“Brian, you're practically family. You’d fit me in, wouldn’t you?” Mary asks, as Paul looks at me.

 

“Ted will be here tomorrow, he’ll make sure you to fit you in,” I tell her, thinking I should have asked Justin about his whole family.

 

“Aunt Mary runs Aunt Mary’s Cookies,” Justin whispers.

 

“You’re Brian Kinney?” Paul asks.

 

“Guilty,” I smirk.

 

“Jesus, you had to outdo me in everything,” Paul says, pouting.

 

“See why I get Michael?” Justin snickers.

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Ted and Blake arrived early, both saying it was great to see the opera but they missed Poppy. Blake barely said hello to us before running off to find Poppy.

 

“He spent the whole night wondering what Poppy was doing. We were both looking forward to a night alone, but it was strange not having Poppy with us,” He tells me.

 

“She’s been all over with Gwen and Gus, the only time we saw them was tucking them in last night,” Emmett tells him.

 

“I need you to arrange for Aunt Mary’s Cookies to meet with us as soon as possible. She’s going to come to you,” I tell him.

 

“Brian, you're here to get to know Justin’s family, not sit on your phone working,” Ted tells me.

 

“I’ve gotten to know his family. Oh, and do me a favor and don’t embarrass yourself when we get out back,” I tell him.

 

“Why would I embarrass myself?” He asks.

 

“I think you’re about to meet your own Captain Astro... Frank Thomas,” I tell him.

 

“Am I missing something?” Ted asks, looking confused.

 

“He’s Justin’s grandfather. Apparently he’s some kind of Corporate saviour or something,” Emmett tells him.

 

“Holy shit. You’re kidding right?” Ted asks.

 

“Like I said, don’t make Grandpa think your an idiot,” I tell him, heading out back.

 

Emmett followed me, laughing at Ted straightening out his clothes, saying he didn’t want to look like a slob. It was actually funny to see the look on Ted’s face. Frank wasn’t what he expected. Really, the man was a softy with kids around him, looking to Emmett for reassurance he wasn’t about to burn everything.

 

“What did you expect, Ted?” I smirked.

 

“This is dear Teddy?” Aunt Mary asked.

 

“Aunt Mary, this is Ted, and over with Poppy is his husband Blake,” I tell her, as Ted shakes her hand.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Ted tells her, talking to her like she was a sweet old lady.

 

“In my day, I’d have shown you how much of a pleasure it would be,” She tells Ted, squeezing his butt.

 

“Mary, he probably wouldn’t have a clue what to do with boobs,” Grandma yells.

 

“Honey, we all know what to do, we just don’t really want to,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Drew said it wasn’t that bad,” Rose yells.

 

“Drew also only dated girls with nothing up top,” Emmett jokes.

 

“So Teddy, you think you could help me out?” Aunt Mary asks, winking at me.

 

“Um… I… Blake!” Ted looks nervously around us.

 

“Sweetie, I only want to schedule an appointment where you and Brian can show me all your tricks. Afterwards, I’ll make it worth your while,” Aunt Mary cackles, as Ted inches towards me.

 

“Jesus Mary, you’d scare a straight man gay. Ted, she wants an appoint with Kinnetik,” Grandma tells him, cackling even harder when Ted looks relieved.

 

Ted looks at Mary, then remembers the name of the company I told him about. “Aunt Mary I’d love to schedule an appointment for you, and after that, if you’d like, we could show you Pittsburgh,” Ted tells her.

 

“Well, the sisters and I were talking to Emmett and we have an itinerary of where we want to go,” Aunt Mary tells him.

 

“Brian, they have Babylon on this list,” Ted whispers.

 

“Grandma, really?” Justin asks, reading the list.

 

“Emmett told us it would be fun to shake our tail feathers. So, all you boys are going to take us dancing,” Rose tells him.

 

“Just agree Ted. I’ve spent my life negotiating with business leaders who look like little boys in comparison to these women,” Frank turns to tell him, as Emmett discreetly sprays down the flames.

 

“Frank even agreed to come,” Grandma says, rubbing her hands.

 

“Frank agreed to come to Pittsburgh to visit his daughter and come to the stadium with Drew,” Emmett tells them.

 

“Honey, in my Frank’s day, he cut a fine figure on the dance floor,” Grandma tells him.

 

“Drew’s team owner wants to meet Frank,” Emmett tells her, lying his ass off, while Frank nods.

 

The conversation stopped when Ida’s grandson showed up. Brandon looked at me standing there with Justin. Then looked a little too long at Justin.

 

“Brandon, sorry but apparently my grandson found a hottie of his own. So take your eyes off Justin’s ass,” Grandma warns, apparently not liking it any more than I did.

 

“I guess once again you win,” Brandon says, laughing.

 

“You know each other?” Justin asks.

 

“We’ve competed a few times,” Brandon tells him.

 

“Ever won?” Justin asks, catching on.

 

“I don’t even try anymore, just sit back and learn from the master,” Brandon tells him.

 

“The master is retired,” I tell Brandon, wrapping my arms around Justin.

 

“Completely understandable, although Justin was never interested in me,” He smiles.

 

“Grandma is trying to hook you up with Larry Stevens,” Justin whispers to Brandon, as we walk to where Emmett and Frank are.

 

“Good God why?” Brandon asks.

 

“I was already taken,” Justin snickers.

 

“Is there something wrong with Larry?” Emmett asks.

 

“No, he’s actually really nice,” Grandpa tells us.

 

“Is that ‘nice’ as in it’s the best quality you can think of?” Ted asks.

 

“I’m sure there’s more… yes, okay,” Grandpa says, giving up when Justin and Brandon stare him down.

 

When Larry showed up, I really didn’t understand the problem with finding something else to say about him. He was hot in the way Ben was, and boring in the way Walter was. I steered him to Paul, who might not admit that he’s gay, but he is. It wasn’t like we didn’t see the drool hanging out of his mouth when Drew took off his shirt after playing football with the kids all day.

 

Drew and Blake helped set up the buffet style lunch, while Justin and Ted took the kids to the clubhouse where Molly was waiting, willing to give up being with the adults to watch the kids. Which was really just the excuse to avoid any other matchmaking the Hens could do. Watching Brandon and Justin talk to each other would have worried me, except that Justin’s reactions to Brandon weren’t any different than his reactions to Emmett or Ted.

 

When the people were leaving, Justin’s mother dragged him to help his grandmother say goodbye to everyone. Ted pulled me aside and told me that Poppy wanted Gus and Gwen to ride home with them. We called Lindsay and Mel to let them know Gus would be coming home with Ted. They offered to keep Gwen if we wanted to have a night to ourselves. Emmett and Drew made plans with the Hens to stay with them when they came to town. It was the first time, other than Deb’s dinners, that all of us felt like part of a family.



 

Chapter 19 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Lindsay and Mel told us they enjoyed having Gwen over and offered to watch her anytime Brian and I wanted time to ourselves. Jenny came home before we left, talking a mile a minute about how much fun she had with her daddies. Michael and Ben seemed to be doing better after this weekend. All of us were really just thrilled to hear Jenny’s speech improve so quickly. It was a good sign that the tubes were doing what they were supposed to do. Gus and Jenny ran off with Gwen to play outside while we talked to everyone. Michael was practically exploding with how much fun he had with Ben and the kids, describing all the things we all missed by not going. Only stopping when Mel asked if Jenny had felt okay the whole time, which I could understand, since they’d been dealing with Jenny’s ear infections since she was baby. Michael let her know that he checked on her all weekend and if there had been anything to worry about he would have called me to see if he needed to bring her home. Mel was about to say something, likely that maybe the first call should be to her or Lindsay, but Brian interrupted to tell everyone he was moving in with me. That seem to stop any argument from starting, likely because Michael lost all power of speech at that announcement.

 

Brian and I talked about whether to tell everyone our news, but thought it over and decided telling everyone we were moving in together was really the most we wanted to do right now. The other news wasn’t something either of us wanted to share yet. We didn’t plan it, just sort of did it because we could. It’s the first time in my life, other than going home with Brian, that I did something without thinking it completely through. It felt right, even if everyone else would think we were crazy for doing it.

 

“If you need help, either having us to watch the kids or moving just let us know,” Lindsay tells us, staring at Michael.

 

“I don’t mind helping if you need someone to for the heavy lifting,” Ben tells us, not even looking at Michael.

 

“Most of my things are already at Justin’s, other than my computer and the rest of my clothes. Most of the other stuff can stay at the loft. We both talked about it and I might rent the loft furnished, since it’s paid for. Justin’s mother is willing to handle leasing it out for me,” Brian tells them.

 

“I have a friend who’s coming to town who was looking for a place to stay short term. He’s only here to teach for a semester, and didn’t need to be stuck on a lease for a year,” Ben tells him.

 

“Give Justin’s mother a call, I should be moved out by next weekend,” Brian tells Ben, as Michael gets up and leaves the house.

 

Brian ignored Michael, as did Ben, why I couldn’t probably only makes sense to me. I can’t see someone in pain and not want to help them. It’s why I became a doctor, because I wanted to help people. I went out the front to see Michael sitting on the steps with his head in his hands.

 

“He really loves you,” He tells me, looking upset.

 

“I love him, but it’s not something you couldn’t have seen if you wanted to,” I tell him.

 

“It would make it real, and then I’d have to admit that it hurt that it wasn’t me. Which I can’t do because Ben would get hurt, thinking that I still want Brian the way I did when Ben first met me. It’s not that I want Brian, no matter what anyone wants to believe. It’s knowing that being in a relationship wasn’t his problem, but that he didn’t want one with me. It feels like I wasn’t good enough, only I don’t know what I did that made him not want me,” He tells me.

 

“Michael, there are always going to be people who don’t feel the way you do. It’s not anything other than the chemistry wasn’t there. If you think about it, can you really see a life that doesn’t include Ben in it? Would you have given up everything you built with Ben for what Brian might have been able to give you?” I ask.

 

“No. No one is worth giving up Ben for,” He says smiling.

 

“If you feel that way, then Brian not wanting to be with you should be a good thing,” I tease.

 

“I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting, change isn’t easy for me. I know Ben’s not happy with everything I’ve been doing, but I feel like I lost part of myself when Brian met you. It’s not that I don’t want him to be happy, but I wanted him to still remember we promised to always be there for each other, it’s what he said every time something scared me, ‘Always have and always will’. Only lately it’s like his world is centered around you,” He tells me.

 

“Isn’t that how you and Ben were when you first met? I would hope that you didn’t include your friends in everything you did,” I tell him.

 

“I wanted my friends to get to know Ben, and approve of him. It’s not like we spent every second with my friends, but I at least called them and include them when we were going out,” Michael tells me, which I can honestly say left me holding back, ‘so Ben had to date your friends too’.

 

“I’m different. I don’t see the reason anyone has to approve of who I love. I don’t think Brian sees the reason he needs your approval either,” I tell him.

 

“I guess you wouldn’t, but you don’t seem to understand the friendship I have with Brian. I’m really trying to accept you and Brian as a couple. I just don’t see how you call it a relationship, when the only thing you two seem to like is screwing each other. I don’t think you see that there has to be more to make a relationship work than fucking. It’s why I wanted to include you guys with the people Ben and I know, to show you relationships are more than what happens in the bedroom...” Stopping his lecture when he heard Ben clear his throat.

 

Ben walked over from the side of the house, leaned down only to throw Michael over his shoulder. “You know what Michael, maybe that’s our problem, that we spend too much time talking about how immature relationships are all about sex. Or in our case, the infrequency it ever happens in our bed or home,” Ben says, slapping Michael’s ass.

 

“We talk about things that help the community, which is more than I can say about them,” Michael says after yelping at the sting of Ben’s spanking.

 

“It’s likely because, unlike us, they don’t need to use the community to fill in for everything else lacking in their relationship. Which I’m about to remedy. Nice seeing you Justin,” Ben yells, before dumping a stunned Michael in the car.

 

“That was kind of hot,” Mel comments from the doorway. “What do you think Lindsay?” She asks, laughing when Lindsay looks at her like she’s lost her mind.

 

“If it was Justin’s ass he was spanking, yeah that would have been hot. Not that I wouldn’t have kicked his ass, but yeah, hot none the less,” Brian says thoughtfully, which only caused the girls to laugh.

 

We left with Gwen, and made plans to pick up Gus and Jenny for the girls tomorrow. It was our hope that Michael and Ben would be otherwise entertaining themselves, so Michael could get off the soap box and into real life.

 

I dropped Brian off to get stuff he needed together, thinking we could deal with all the things he wanted to move into my… our house, in the next couple days. Brian and I talked about his loft and he was willing to sell it but had been talking to my mom about investing in real estate too. Which had Ted and Drew saying it would be something they wouldn’t mind doing themselves. Brian liked the idea of not only owning two businesses but branching out to new things.

 

It was something I was learning about the man who at one time seemed to only care about playing hard, from the way Michael described him. Brian might have played, but he was always working just as hard. He liked change and welcomed challenges, to prove to himself he wasn’t just the ‘it boy’ in only advertising. My grandfather told me it’s why I’d never have to worry about Brian, because if there was a problem between us, he’d work to find a way to solve it. Which Brian did, the night of his birthday. He didn’t hide what he did, just faced it and me, not willing to lose us. It’s why I didn’t try to find a reason to wait last night when he asked.

 

I was unpacking our bags when the envelope fell out of his jacket, I opened it just to look at it, only it wasn’t in the envelope. I searched all the bags, through all the clothes, and then called Brian to see if he put the paper somewhere else. He called back after looking around saying he couldn’t find it. Then he asked if I took it out when we snuck back into my grandparents cabin that night. Which is when I remembered pulling it out and taunting him to chase me for it. When he caught me, I honestly didn’t think of anything other than the mouth around my dick. Then of course it got sort of frantic, and well, hello, who cared about a piece of paper when Brian was slamming into me.

 

“Shit, did we leave it at the cabin?” I ask.

 

“I can drive back and find it,” Brian tells me.

 

“I’ll call my grandfather. He’ll at least keep it quiet,” I tell him, not wanting him to have to take the day to go back and pick it up. When we were both still tired from last night.

 

Grandma had to pick up the phone and I really considered hanging up and running for another country. “So Mr Taylor-Kinney, is there something you forgot to tell your poor disappointed Granny?”

 

“Surprise! We got married,” I say weakly.

 

“Surprise, the hens and I are on our way a week sooner,” She cackles, hanging up.


 

Chapter 20 by starlight

JUSTIN    

 

Brian, of course, didn’t understand why my grandparents knowing we got married before it happened was a big deal. If it was just my grandfather, no problem. To him, how you get married doesn’t really matter. The Hens on the other hand, well they had spent years waiting to throw a big gay wedding. Which, I’ve tried to explain to them in the past, there isn’t a whole lot of difference other than you don’t use husband and wife. They seem to think rainbows shooting out of unicorns asses sounds like fun. Not literally, but it’s the gist of what they are likely to try. We realized we needed to tell Gus and Gwen, and since we were going to have Gus with us tomorrow it would be a good time to do it. 

 

Brian was almost asleep when it occurred to me that not only am I going to be dealing with the Hens, but my mother, sister, and Daphne’s outrage, for not hearing it from me. I didn’t really give a shit about my dad and stepmother. As far as I was concerned it didn’t matter if they ever found out. I got out of bed because I really needed to see Daphne, she’ll never forgive me if she found out the way my Grandma did. 

 

“Where are you going?” Brian asks.

 

“I needed to tell Daphne. We never keep anything from each other,” I tell him.

 

“Michael and I were like that, but I have a feeling his reaction won’t be anything like Daphne’s,” He tells me.

 

“I think it’s more him trying to figure out why you didn’t want a relationship with him. He’s trying to convince himself he doesn’t want you, but doesn’t get what was so wrong with him that you never saw yourself being in a relationship with him,” I tell him.

 

“Michael needs someone to hold his hand through life, which he has in Ben. I might not have wanted to get married and have children in the past, but I knew if I did it, it couldn’t be with someone that needed me to make their decisions for them,” He tells me.

 

“Maybe he needs to hear that from you,” I tell him.

 

“He also needs to respect your place in my life, it’s why I haven’t really let it go,” He tells me.

 

I kissed him, only to get rolled over onto my back with him over me. He was now wide awake, and really, Daphne would be here in the morning. Brian was already hard before he got rid of all the clothes that it seemed to offend him I was wearing. 

 

With Brian, kissing was a religious experience; he would seal his mouth over mine, dancing his tongue with mine, tasting and devouring me at the same time. He was tactile, using his hands to explore every inch, before his lips would follow the same path. He nipped my chest, then lavished my nipples with attention. Leaving a wet trail as his mouth moved towards my cock. He held me still as he took me inside his mouth, and swallowed me down his throat. I wanted to pull him off, because Brian was a master at this, and I wouldn’t last if he kept using his tongue to run up the veins and under the head. I couldn’t scream like last night, since Gwen was down the hall. So I turned my head, biting the pillow as he continued his assault. He stopped when I was too close and turned me over, running his hands down my back then spreading my cheeks, nipping and licking my rim before spreading me open with his tongue and fingers. I pushed back on this fingers as he added two to scissor me open, just wanting more... needing more. He grabbed a condom, and although I didn’t want to use them, we both knew it was smarter to until we’d both been tested. Brian admitted that he been with a few guys before we met and I hadn’t been exactly celibate either. We were both clean according to our last test, but one of the things Brian rammed into my head that first night was not to play russian roulette with your life. So we were willing to wait, because the truth was, a condom didn’t change that sex with Brian was as close to heaven as I’ve ever been. 

 

He leaned his whole body over me as he started to breach me.”You’re always so tight and ready for me.” He told me.

 

He bit my shoulder as he bottomed out, and licked the spot as he pulled out and thrust back in, driving into me over and over. Every time he drove into me, he knew exactly what angle I needed from him. I reached down and stroked myself as he held my hips, pumping faster. I shuddered when I started to cum and Brian thrusted faster, as my walls tightened around him. Three more thrusts and he held us together as he came.

 

I laid there thinking ‘Daphne who?’, and fell asleep.

 

BRIAN

 

I went to see Jen. I told Justin I wanted to do it. Deb has always been like a mother to me, but Jen really treated me like I was her son. Which I used to tease Tucker about, since we are almost the same age. It’s strange, because like Justin, Tucker seems older, and he fits with Jen. Tucker and I talked this weekend, and I asked him if he ever wanted kids of his own. He’s a teacher, and watching him with Gwen just told me he liked kids. He saw Justin and Molly as his, and told me he didn’t need a child of his own to feel complete. If they could have kids he wouldn’t have minded, but it wasn’t something he was worried about. 

 

Jen was in her office when I walked in. She grabbed a folder before sitting down. “I have the paperwork you need to fill out for you to lease your loft,” She tells me.

 

“I actually came here to talk about something else,” I tell her.

 

“Everything okay with Justin?” She asks.

 

“Great actually. It’s just we did something I wanted to tell you about before anyone else told you,” I tell her.

 

“As long as you two didn’t get married. My mother and her sisters would kill you for that.” She jokes, then notices that I didn’t laugh. “You and Justin got married?” She asks, not looking hurt, and started laughing harder. “My mother and aunts are so going to have a field day with this,”

 

“They already found the marriage license. We left it behind by accident,” I tell her.

 

“Brian, don’t let them push you guys into any kind of celebration you don’t want. If what you two did was how you wanted it done, I support you,” She tells me.

 

“We didn’t really plan it. I just didn’t see the point in waiting when we knew we were going to do it anyway. We plan to tell the kids tonight, and I really think we should do something that includes the family. Grandma and the Hens plan to come in a week, so I figured you, Emmett, and I could get something together that would keep the Hens in check.” I tell her.

 

“Can I make a suggestion?” She asks.

 

“Sure,” I tell her.

 

“Why not invite everyone over and tell them. Emmett is going to know, since we’re going to get him to help,” She tells me.

 

“We can, but I really don’t want to include Michael right now,” I tell her.

 

“He’s going to have to get used to you and Justin being a couple, unless you don’t see continuing the friendship,” She tells me.

 

“I don’t know if we can. Because it bothers him that I never wanted a relationship with him. Only, I don’t understand why it does, when he married Ben,” I tell her.

 

“Deb thought the same thing when we talked about the way Michael treats Justin. He seems to like Justin, but not the idea of you and Justin. We both wonder if it would matter to Michael who it was. I disagreed with Deb when she thought maybe you two should talk to each other and work it out,” She tells me.

 

“It’s what I usually did in the past,” I tell her.

 

“Which, when he wasn’t married, and as his friend, I could understand you doing. He’s married to Ben, and it’s time he depends on Ben for the things he expects from you. That’s my opinion which you can take or forget. Of course as your mother, I really think you should take it,” She tells me, teasing.

 

“I’ll call Emmett and Justin and see if we can arrange a dinner with everyone in the next day or two,” I tell her.

 

“How about I do that, and you enjoy what having me for a mother will be like,” She tells me.

 

I nodded, because it was hard for me to say anything; she was the kind of mother I dreamed of at one time, only now it wasn’t a dream. She got up and hugged me, kissing my cheek the way she did to Justin, and I didn’t resist or blow it off. 

 

“I’ll let your sister know, since she’s likely going to cry when she finds out,” She tells me, as we walk out. “Mary, this is my son-in-law Brian, if he comes by, you let him straight through,” She tells the receptionist.

 

We were outside before I asked her if it bothered her that we did it without telling anyone.

 

“I would have loved to have been there, I won’t lie to you. But in the end, as long as you and Justin are happy, I can be happy to host the party to celebrate it,” She tells me, hugging me again before going back in.

 

I left and went to Deb’s to tell her next. She and Carl were sitting in the kitchen when I walked in. She wanted to know all about the reunion, and was excited to hear that she’d meet the family soon. When I told her about Justin and me, it wasn’t anything like Jen, but then Deb has always been louder. She was worried about how Michael would feel, but Carl pointed out to both of us his view.

 

“Michael needs to support Brian the way Brian supported Michael. If he can’t, that’s not Brian’s problem. Brian can’t live his life to make Michael happy. I know you think Brian should make time to placate Michael, that is something I don’t agree with. Brian’s got his own family now, which until Michael can respect, then he’ll be left out,” He tells us.

 

“I’m not saying Brian should give in to Michael,” Deb tells him.

 

“Deb, it’s the same thing we talked about when you were butting into Ben and Michael’s marriage. Michael needs to respect Brian’s marriage the way he expects everyone to respect his,” Carl tells her.

 

“I know, and I’m sorry for making you feel like I expect you do anything, it’s an old habit. I’ll call Jen and see if she needs any help,” Deb tells me.

 

JUSTIN

 

I called Daphne to meet me for brunch, since she was working overnight. She was excited when she saw me, but since she didn’t know, I figured there was something she wanted to tell me. We grabbed a table at her favorite bistro, as I tried to figure out a way to tell her my news.

 

“Trent asked me out while you were gone,” She gushes.

 

“When do you go out?” I ask, kind of glad for a couple minutes reprieve before I tell her.

 

“Well, you know you how you and Brian’s firsts seem to happen? I figured if it worked for you, why not,” She smirked.

 

“And?” I ask.

 

“Apparently it works. We’ve spent the last week pretty much all over each other. Which isn’t why you called me, so what’s up?” She asks.

 

“Brian and I are now living together, which makes sense, since we got married yesterday,” I tell her casually.

 

“Well, yeah… Wait! You what?” She asks.

 

“We got married. He asked, and I didn’t see any reason not to say yes. Before you get mad, no one else but Brian and I were there,” I tell her.

 

“You are in so much trouble. You do know Gwen, Gus, and Poppy are going to be upset,” She tells me.

 

“I know, and we plan to ask the kids what they want to do. Brian even went to tell my mom. She called and suggested we have a party, which I think the kids will be good with,” I tell her.

 

“Tell her to call me and I’ll help too. I only want to know one thing. Are you happy?” She asks.

 

“I really am, it’s strange now when you think about it. I really believed he was the love of my life after our first night, and he is,” I tell her.

 

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I stopped by the hospital to check on a few patients. I ran into Brandon, only to find out the Hen’s told his grandmother too. I invited Brandon to eat lunch with me at the restaurant near the hospital, since it was lunch time. I called Brian to see if he wanted to eat lunch together earlier, but he needed to deal with things at Kinnetik and wanted to be done in time to pick up the kids. 

 

“My grandmother told me if I ever do what you did, she would kick my ass,” Brandon tells me.

 

“They really like Brian, so hopefully they won’t get too out of control,” I tell him.

 

“It gives me hope. If Brian could settle down, maybe I can too,” Brandon tells me.

 

“Only if you really want it. Brian was ready for it, and Brian doesn’t do anything halfway,” I tell him.

 

“I knew he’d slowed down in the last few years, but I just figured no one caught his interest. When Gran told me about you two getting married, I was sort of jealous,” He tells me.

 

 “You were never interested in more than a booty call with me,” I tell him.

 

“You were never interested,” He tells me.

 

“Justin?” 

 

I turned around to see Robin, one of the surgeons that worked with Daphne.

 

“Hey, how have you been?” I ask him.

 

“Good. I heard you and Brian are together,” He tells me, sitting down when I waved to a seat.

 

“I heard how you found out,” I laugh, as Brandon cleared his throat. “Brandon, Robin,” I introduce them.

 

“Nice to meet you,” Brandon tell him, staring at him.

 

“I think I’m going to start hanging out with you, since you seem to be surrounded by hot guys,” Robin tells me, joking.

 

“Now that Justin’s married, why not hang out with me,” Brandon tells him.

 

“On that note, I need to pick up my daughter. We plan to have a dinner in a couple of days, why don’t both of you come,” I tell them, getting up. Not that either of them seems to notice I'm leaving, or even seems to hear me.

 

“Sure, I’ll call you,” Brandon says, distracted by Robin.

 

I kissed the top of Brandon’s head, just to annoy him, before heading out to my car. Brian and I were going to pick up the kids first and take them out to eat. We wanted to celebrate with just them tonight. I got to Kinnetik and got attacked by Cynthia.

 

“Were you drunk, high, or incapacitated in any way when he roped you into this marriage?” She asks, staring intently into my eyes.

 

“Perfectly sober and willing,” I tell her.

 

“Good. Because if you were any of the things I mentioned, I’d find a way to keep you two together. He’s almost human lately,” She jokes.

 

We walked into Brian’s office while I told her about my family reunion. She started laughing when I went to check if Ted was okay. He looked like he was in shock, or having a heart attack.

 

“You… he…” Ted stuttered.

 

“I… he, what?” I ask.

 

“Yes, Theodore,” Brian tells him, sighing. “We went over the fact that Justin and I are married seven times already,” 

 

“Seriously, you married Brian? I thought you were smart,” Ted tells us, seeming to think it was funny.

 

“I couldn’t resist marrying the ultimate bachelor,” I tell him.

 

“Marrying who?” Emmett asks coming in.

 

“Brian,” Ted tells him.

 

“Teddy you love Blake, Brian was the fantasy until we found our own hunks,” Emmett tells him.

 

“Like I’d marry Theodore. Justin saved me that fate,” Brian tells him.

 

“What? Say that again, and make sure I hear ‘Emmett, Justin and I are PLANNING to get married, and knew we couldn’t do it without you to make it fabulous.’ If not, then Justin will be a widow,” Emmett tells me.

 

“Emmett, Justin and I are married, and you and my brand new Mommy are PLANNING the dinner to celebrate it. Which will be a challenge, because you get to plan it with the kids, since they will likely be thrilled that we did what they wanted,” Brian tells him.

 

“For that, I’m calling Grandma and the Hens,” Emmett tells him.

 

“Too late, they know,” Brian tells him.

 

“I hate you. It could have cemented me as the favorite. I’ll call my other Mommy and gather my minions to help me,” Emmett tells him.

 

“We have to go and get the kids. When you need Gus and Gwen, let us know,” Brian tells them, as he gathers his things.

 

“When do you want everything done?” Emmett asks.

 

“We were thinking tomorrow,” Brian tells Emmett, who looked at Brian like he was crazy.

 

“Teddy we need to go and gather the troops. Cynthia, I need you too,” Emmett dragged Ted out of the chair, and out behind us. 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I took the kids to the Italian place we ate at the day we met again. We were both trying to figure out how to tell the kids what we did. It was spur of the moment and the only regret I had was that the kids weren’t there. Gus and Gwen were doing this silent communication they developed with each other as Jenny seems to want to order everything on the menu. When the pizzas arrived, Gus looked at the food and then at me, since there wasn’t a salad in sight. 

 

“What’s going on?” Gus asks.

 

“We’re eating,” Jenny tells him.

 

“Dad is eating pizza,” Gus tells her, as if that explains everything.

 

“Bine eats pizza with Daddy,” Jenny tells him.

 

“He eats it at our house, normally in the middle of the night,” Gwen tells him.

 

“How would you know?” Justin asks Gwen.

 

“Um, well,” Gwen looks at me, trying not to rat me out for letting her sit with me in the middle of the night.

 

“She found me when she went to get a drink one night,” I tell him.

 

“DAD, what’s going on?” Gus asks again.

 

“Justin and I need to tell you guys something,” I tell him.

 

“I thought everything was good,” Gus says, looking unhappy.

 

“Why would you think it wasn’t?” I ask.

 

“Well, you took us to eat the good stuff, and you both look like you don’t know how to tell us something. Which sucks you know, I finally have grandparents, and you and Justin...” 

 

“Are married,” I interrupt him.

 

“What?” Gus and Gwen ask.

 

“We decided, if we were going to live together, there was no reason not to get married. We didn’t want you two upset because you weren’t at the wedding,” I tell them.

 

“I’m so telling Poppy on you. She wanted to plan the wedding with Emmett,” Gwen tells Justin.

 

“Emmett is planning the dinner we're going to have to celebrate that we got married.” I tell her.

 

“Are we mad about this?” Gwen asks Gus.

 

“I don’t know. I mean, it’s what we wanted. But I know you and Poppy wanted to wear princess dresses and throw flowers and stuff. Me, I just wanted the food. I mean, I’m sure the dresses would look pretty, but maybe Dad will let you wear one to dinner,” Gus tells her.

 

“We don’t have princess dresses,” Gwen tells us, sad.

 

“Hello. Meet our Dad, Versace’s reason for designing,” Gus tells her, pointing at me with his pizza.

 

“I promise to be happy if I get a princess dress, Daddy,” Gwen pleads with me, and shit, I melted. Then looked up into the tear filled eyes of my best friend.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Michael wiped the tears out of his eyes when it didn’t get me up to try and figure out what caused it. Jenny saw him and got up to run to him, and his confusion at seeing her told me he wasn’t here because he wanted to see his daughter. 

 

“Why do you guys have Jenny?” Michael asks.

 

“Mel and Lindsay had something to do, so we agreed to get her,” Justin tells him.

 

“I need to talk to Brian,” He tells him.

 

“Emmett texted, saying he and Mom want the kids input on tomorrow. I can take them over there for an hour and then meet you at home,” Justin tells me.

 

“I wanted us to spend time together,” I tell Justin.

 

“We will, but do you really want to get in the middle of the planning?” Justin asks, knowing I only wanted to do this for the kids.

 

“Make sure to mention the dresses to Mom,” I tell him, leaning over to kiss him.

 

“Talk to him,” Justin tells me.

 

“I really don’t want to,” I tell him.

 

“Michael do I need to drop Jenny off with Mel or are you going to take her?” Justin asks, ignoring me.

 

“I came to talk to Brian, could you take her home?” Michael asks.

 

Michael and I went to the loft, instead of anywhere we could be overheard. He sat on one of the stools, and I got us a couple waters and hand him one. He fiddled with the label and at that point I knew we’d be here all night if I didn’t say something.

 

“Why did you show up at the restaurant if you weren’t there to get Jenny?” I ask.

 

“I knew you were going there, because I called Mel to see if they needed Ben and me to take Jenny,” He tells me.

 

“That still doesn’t explain why you came, since you didn’t show up to get your daughter,” I tell him.

 

“Eli told me something that Robin mentioned to him, but I didn’t believe it. I know you wouldn’t do that to me,” He mumbles.

 

“What wouldn’t I do?” I ask.

 

“I tried to tell everyone that you and Justin only decided to live together. Only Robin said that Brandon, of all people, said you and Justin got… Only it has to be wrong because you would have told me first,” Michael tells me.

 

“Is the word you don’t want to say, ‘married’? If it is, then the answer is yes. I’m sure you can figure I why I didn’t want to tell you,” I tell him.

 

“All I could think of was that you realized it was a mistake and didn’t want anyone to know until you could fix it,” Michael tells me.

 

“Since Jen, Emmett, and Ted know, try again,” I tell him, going over to pack up some things I forgot when I was in a hurry to get back to Justin.

 

“So once again, everyone but me knows,” He says, angry.

 

“I knew you wouldn’t be happy for me. It’s something I told Justin when he was worried about Daphne not knowing that we got married. She would be happy for us, you don’t even want to acknowledge Justin’s place in my life. Instead, you seem to want to relive our past, as if to show Justin he didn’t have a place in it, which he doesn’t. He’s my future,” I tell him.

 

Michael got up and followed me. With each thing that I packed, his expression became more dismayed. 

 

“You can’t rent the loft,” He tells me.

 

“Actually, since I own it, I can. I don’t see the reason for it to stay empty when I won’t be living here anymore,” I tell him.

 

“Don’t you want to keep it available? You might need it again,” Michael really wasn’t getting this.

 

“For what? My husband and I agreed to live in the house he owns. If we don’t live there it will only be because we want a bigger house, not to move back here. Gus and Gwen wouldn’t have rooms of their own here. In truth, the only other thing I might do with the loft in the future, is sell it. It’s the past Mikey, a place that no longer fits the life I plan to live. Did you keep your apartment after you and Ben bought your house? No. Because it was time to move forward, towards the life you and Ben wanted,” I tell him, finishing up and really ready to end this conversation.

 

“That’s different,” He tells me.

 

“I don’t think it is. Like you, I married the man I want to spend my life with, raise a family with, and grow old with; isn’t that the reason you got married?” I ask.

 

“Why him?” He asks, ignoring everything I asked.

 

“Why not you? Isn’t that what you really want to know? Because I need someone like him in my life. He doesn’t need me to define who he is, and with him, I’m not defined by my past. Michael, you wanted someone to give you an identity; for you, a relationship means letting someone else tell you how to walk, talk, and even what to think. For Ben, that was great, because he likes that you look to him for things, but for me it would have driven me away. I was never going to look to you as more than a friend. But our friendship has to change, because you can’t be my best friend, Justin has to be that, the way Ben should be yours,” I tell him.

 

“You make it sound like I don’t have a place in your life. Everyone else does, but not me. Don’t you think it’s strange that Justin was having lunch with Brandon? I did when Eli told me what Robin told him,” Michael tells me.

 

“Brandon’s grandmother knows Justin’s. And no, I don’t think it’s strange, since the only reason I wasn’t at lunch with them was because I needed to get work done. Not because Justin was out with Brandon for whatever reason you came up with in your head. You need to figure out if you want us to stay friends or not, if you do then it means respecting my husband’s place in my life. Something you can do when I’m not around. If you can do that then you can come to dinner tomorrow night with everyone else, otherwise don’t show, because I don’t need you there ruining the reason we’re having the dinner to begin with,” I tell him.

 

“What, to show off you married Justin?” He asks.

 

“We wanted to do it because Gus and Gwen missed the joining of our lives. Showing Justin off like a prize isn’t why I married him. I hope that’s not why you wanted to marry Ben. Now, I need to go home to my life,” I tell him, grabbing my bags and opening the loft door.

 

JUSTIN

 

The kids had a lot of ideas, and I loved that Emmett didn’t even blink when Gwen said we should have dinner at a haunted castle, with lots of food.

 

Gus answered before Emmett could explain the reason we couldn’t just get a castle. “You don’t need a castle, you're already a princess to Dad,” Gus tells her.

 

I called Lindsay to tell her I’d drop of Jenny after we got done at my mom’s house. My mom took the phone and told Lindsay and Mel they were invited to the reception. When she hung up, she told me Lindsay said she’d come to get Jenny from here.

 

“At least we don’t have to worry about Lindsay acting like Michael,” Emmett tells us.

 

“She came around pretty fast, I think a lot of it is that we have friends in common. Michael just thinks we’re stealing all his friends,” I tell him.

 

“Honey, we used you to escape the friends that came with the cult,” Emmett tells me, laughing.

 

“Justin, Mom and the Aunts want to be here tomorrow too,” My mom tells me.

 

“If anyone can keep Michael in line, the Hens can,” Gus whispers to Emmett, loud enough for my mom and me to hear.

 

“I can just see it, Rose and Mary with Michael between them,” Emmett said, before writing it on the seating chart.

 

“We should put Deb there too,” Gus tells him.

 

“True. Between the three of them, Michael will be too busy ducking slaps in the head,” Emmett tells him.

 

“You agree, don’t you Dad?” Gus says, not even realizing it was the first time he said that to me directly.

 

“I think it’s great, son,” I tell him.

 

Mel opened the door, and I see Brian standing there with Lindsay talking. It was great to see tears that came with a smile as Lindsay bear hugged Brian. He sat next to me, grabbing the seating chart.

 

“The Hens are coming?” He asks.

 

“Where my mother goes, so go her sisters. Get used to it, they like you,” My mom tells Brian.

 

“How did it go with Michael?” I whisper to him.

 

“We’ll see tomorrow, if not, I’ll set the Hens loose on him,” Brian tells me, kissing me.

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

BRIAN 

 

It was going to be a simple dinner, but that was really a joke with the guest list. Frank brought the Hens early because they were convinced that Emmett needed them. Justin escaped to work, telling me to get out while I could. Which I didn’t do, unfortunately, and found out the Hens had been working behind the scenes. Molly showed up and stuck to my side, as if I needed someone with the Hens at the helm. We were told to get out of the way when Molly refused to help with anything that would have her brother disowning her. Not that it bothered the Hens, likely because they all knew who the real power was in this family.

 

I learned a new level of respect for  the Hens. They are long range planners, and never forgot anyone they'd felt hurt a member of their family. They waited until there was a reason to bother with someone to screw with their life. In this case it was daddy dearest and his sweet bigoted wife. Grandma wanted to show them exactly what doors close when you screw with her kids. I had no problem helping them after hearing the shit he did to my mother-in-law and Justin.

 

The Hens let Drew take Frank, since he admitted he rather be anywhere but at the country club, since he never liked the reason people wanted membership, which wasn’t to use the facilities, but to show off. He thought it was an interesting contradiction; they didn’t like to mention money, but used the club to show everyone what they had. Grandma relented, not to show off her new favorite, me, but to deal with the asshole who still tried to make her daughter’s life hell. 

 

“Maybe you should warn Justin. He and Dad in the same room is never a good idea. Justin ignores him, but Dad for all his disowning Justin, can't,” Molly tells me. 

 

“What about you?” I ask, wondering how it worked when she was still in Justin’s life. 

 

“I'm a girl, and a disappointment for not waiting for the right man to treat me like an air headed bimbo. He's convinced that with the right man, I'll see his point of view on everything. Of course, they have to come with the right breeding and standing in the community. Apparently he thinks I’ll give him and Brenda an ‘in’ around town. Since he can’t get me to agree, he just tells me I’m as big a disappointment to him as Justin. It’s the first time I can say being a disappointment was something to live up to. At first with Justin, he tried to buy the gay away, which Grandpa put a stop to, by making sure Justin could tell Dad to kiss his ass. Although Grandma was a bit more graphic, saying Dad would just be jealous of his tinker toy and that’s why he’s jealous of Justin’s more endowed features,” She tells me, smiling.

 

“I’m sure he is, your brother brings a lot to the table,” I joke, as she laughs, not embarrassed in the least. “Justin doesn’t seem to care,” I tell her.

 

“Only when they start in on Mom, then we all get to see that Justin learned the art of WASP very well. It’s all polite smiles and underhanded mudslinging, I’d rather just say what I really think, which is why my Mom punishes Justin when she attends things here. I could do what Justin does, but why bother, when I don’t aspire to be an insipid country club princess. I like that nothing changed about Justin, other than his future wasn’t going to be with a wife. It really sent the message home that he didn’t love us, unless he approved of what we did. Justin wrote him off, without any regrets,” She tells me, when we went to get some lunch at the diner.

 

It was different than it would be with Claire. Molly just found a place to sit and looked to see what she could eat. Claire would have starred in disapproval at everyone in the diner while insulting everyone under her breath. Molly only got up to ask someone where they got the scarf they were wearing. She came back asking if I knew where the place the person told her to find it was.

 

“My dad will love it. I try to make sure to give him shit he hates. Justin stopped even trying anymore, even though I think it’s fun to see my dad trying to find a way to pretend he likes it, while throwing it in the donation bin,” She tells me.

 

“He seems to understand why I did the same thing with my family. My mother and sister seem to forget why they think I’m going to hell, when they need money,” I tell her.

 

“Do you help them?” She asks.

 

“It doesn’t matter to me what they think, just that they stay on their side of Pittsburgh. A check here and there makes it so Gus will never have to deal with them,” I tell her.

 

“That’s why Justin doesn’t care about Dad, because he doesn’t see anything good that would come from Gwen being involved with them,” Molly tells me.

 

“Brian, are you going to introduce us?” Michael says, standing at the end of the table with Hunter.

 

“I’ll do it for him. I’m his sister, Molly, and you are...?” Molly asks.

 

“His friend since we were fourteen, Michael, and this is my son Hunter, we plan to adopt him.” Michael tells her, as if there was some reason she needed to know it.

 

“How’s that idea working for you?” Molly asks Hunter.

 

“Not bad. I mean I got a great little sister out of the deal. Which outweighs the neighbors who think I should stand on a stage and tell everyone how to not end up a street hustler. It’s kind of a short speech, since my mom thought selling my ass for crack was the way to go. I just decided if anyone was going to make money off my ass, it should be me,” Hunter tells her, once again trying to ruffle Michael’s feathers.

 

“Hunter!” Michael warns.

 

“What? You’re the one who said it’s nothing to be ashamed of,” Hunter tells him.

 

“I just don’t want them to have a bad impression of you,” Michael tells him.

 

“Brian already knows… Oh, was I supposed to wait until you wrangle an invitation for Monty and Eli? Dad here found out where the party was being thrown and apparently it has Monty and Eli willing to do anything to be invited. Likely because Robin is going and didn’t invite them to the party, which is likely because, like Daddy B told you, you don’t invite guests to other people’s party,” Hunter tells him.

 

“I just wanted to have someone there who wouldn’t be too involved with everyone else to talk to their friends,” Michael tells him.

 

“Wait, didn’t he just go out of his way to say that you were friends since you were fourteen?” Molly asks me.

 

“Normally he tells people BEST FRIEND, while waving a flag and wishing he could fall to his knees to worship all that is this one,” Deb tells her, kissing my head.

 

“Ma!” Michael warns, looking horrified, which, with the things Deb’s said in the past, is surprising.

 

“I would have too. But then I realized I was just looking for a sugar daddy, and well, Brian wasn’t into it,” Hunter jokes.

 

“Hunter!” Michael shouts.

 

“I’m trying to help you so you can bring the cult. They want to induct a new member, since Ben told them he figured out why he spent so much time on causes. Apparently SSB does that to you,” Hunter informs us.

 

“What?” Deb asks.

 

“Severe Semen Backup, which hasn’t been much of a problem if the screeches that make it impossible to sleep are any indication,” Hunter tells us, enjoying Michael’s embarrassment.

 

“Brian, Eli didn’t think it’s fair that you invited Robin, when you’ve known Eli and Monty longer,” Michael tells me.

 

“Why the fuck would he care about them? They’re your friends not his,” Deb interrupts.

 

“The Stepfords want to be in the ‘in crowd’,” Hunter tells her.

 

“Are they anything like him?” Molly asks, pointing at Michael.

 

“Worse. They actually believe the shit they spout. Dad here just nods and pretends he isn’t still out partying at Babylon anytime he can. Like last night, when you came home upset and Daddy B dragged your ass to sin.” Hunter tells us.

 

“We went to dance.” Michael insists.

 

“And hoot at the strip contest,” Ted says, as he and Blake come in. “Poppy said to tell you good job,” He tells me.

 

“Brian?” Michael asks, still trying to get his friends in.

 

“If they’re as bad as Hunter says, then the Hens will love them, in a way only they know how,” Molly tells me.

 

“Aunt Rose is here? Poppy will be thrilled,” Ted tells us.

 

“They invited your aunt too?” Michael asks Ted, getting offended.

 

“She adopted Teddy, since it wasn’t likely he was going to take her up on her offer to show him a really good time,” Blake tells us, laughing.

 

“That was Aunt Mary,” Ted tells him, smiling.

 

“Who the hell are all these aunts?” Michael asks.

 

“You’ll find out tonight, they are really looking forward to meeting you,” Molly tells him.

 

“What about Monty and Eli?” He asks me again.

 

“Could you see them trying to be politically correct with the aunts?” Ted asks.

 

“Good point, but sadly the Hens are more interested in frying someone else's balls,” I tell Ted. 

 

“I promised to help,” Deb tells us, grabbing Michael and Hunter to leave us alone. Even though Michael tried to stay.

 

“Good thing or bad?” Molly asks, when Deb heads off with Michael’s ear in tow.

 

“It might make the Hens wonder if they accidently took the wrong kid home, since Deb is everything they love,” Ted tells her.

 

“Well at least they’ll be busy and not trying to fix me up,” Molly tells us.

 

Her phone beeps at her and she reads it and hands it to me groaning. 

 

“Sweetie, we found you a possible hunk!” Aunt Mary textes.

 

“How when Emmett said he was taking them to Babylon for the… never mind,” Ted picked up the menu and tried to avoid looking at me.

 

“What are they doing to my club?” I ask.

 

“I think Emmett told on Justin and they wanted to make sure to give him exactly what he said. Although the horse doesn’t really look like a unicorn,” Ted tells me, mumbling. But years of dealing with Ted meant I can decode Ted speak.

 

“A horse?” I ask.

 

“They hired someone to clean up behind it,” Blake says, not helping.

 

“It could be worse,” Molly tells me.

 

“Really?” I ask sarcastically.

 

“No, you're right it couldn’t be. But hey, if they found someone at a gay club I’m in the clear, right? So... WIN,” Molly smirks.

Chapter 24 by starlight

GUS

 

Best party ever, was all me and my posse thought. Grandma told me when you plan, you need  to make sure you plan to take out everyone at once. Aunt Rose and Mary agreed, because they said people catch on if you take them one at a time. 

 

It started out with Grandma meeting with the Mayflower idiots, as she called the people who seem to think they were important because of a boat ride. Not that I really understood what that meant, but figured I’d ask Grandpa later. Only she brought me with her, and I found out that my mom’s parents were total tools. They were practically bowing to Grandma, and when Grandma told them how delightful it was that they were sharing a grandson now, they looked confused. 

 

“Don’t tell me you forgot our Gus,” Grandma said, with disapproval that she didn’t hide.

 

“Gus?” Nancy asked, looking around for something. “Is the baby around?” She asks finally.

 

“Nancy!” Ron said tilting his head at me.

 

“Who is this young man?” She asked.

 

“Hello Mother, I see you’re getting to know Grandma Thomas. Gus just loves her,” My mom says, walking in, the way Grandma planned it, with Grandpa.

 

“Sweetheart, I was surprised that your mother still refers to Gus as a baby. I’m sure at his age she would see he was a young man,” Grandma tells Mom.

 

“Oh, sorry I was referring to the other one… Jamie, is it?” Nancy looks to my mom for help.

 

“You mean Jenny, well we still do think of her as a baby,” Mom helps, kissing Grandma on the cheek.

 

“I have to admit I was really pleased to get more granddaughters and great granddaughters from my grandson. Justin really impressed us with Gus, but then we met Lindsay, and I have to say you raised a wonderful daughter,” Grandpa tells her.

 

“Is that what this party is about? Sorry, I overheard someone mentioning that there was going to be a party thrown and the invitation list was selective. Ron and I had no idea that Lindsay was involved. I can’t believe you didn’t tell me that you were joining the Thomas family.” Nancy chastises my mother.

 

“So, you finally saw it was time to step up and give Mommy and Daddy a reason to be happy for you,” Lynette tells my Mom, making me mad that she made it sound like my mother was a disappointment to that family.

 

“Whatever do you mean?” Grandma asks.

 

“Oh nothing, Lindsay just made decisions that didn’t sit well with us. It just seems she’s figured out it was time to get over this rebellion. It’s just wonderful that she’s joining families like ours,” Nancy told her.

 

“Isn’t it. Well, we need to be off. Lindsay wanted to help Emmett make sure the party was all everyone could wish for. I hope you’ll come celebrate the blessed union. It will give you time to get to know Gus, since you seem to forget he isn’t a baby anymore,” Grandma tells him.

 

We wandered to the dining room that was blocked off from the rest of the club. I looked over in time to see my dad and Aunt Molly come in with Gwen, who took off when Aunt Molly leaned down and whispered to her. I saw a man and woman standing on the side of the room staring at Aunt Molly, but Grandma closed the door when she saw the man.

 

“Not to worry Gus, Molly can handle him,” She tells me, then told me Emmett needed help tasting stuff.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was going to show up with his mother, but asked me to get Gwen for him. Grandma told us she wanted us to show up separately. Since none of us would go against her, we agreed. Molly hooked her arm through mine the minute she walked into the club and saw her father. Looking at Craig Taylor, I decided that Justin and Molly must have gotten everything from Jen’s side of the family. He actually smiled when he saw Molly and looked me up and down like I was a racehorse he was assessing. Molly whispered that Brenda was the name of the woman that looked like a hooker, standing next to her sperm donor.

 

“Molly, it’s been a long time. I heard the family was celebrating here,” Craig said trying to hug Molly, only to have her shrug him off.

 

“I was telling your father, that it was unfair that we weren’t included in the news,” Brenda tells her.

 

“What news would my grandmother want to share with you?” Molly asks sweetly.

 

“Well, I hate to gossip, because it’s a sin, but I was told that there was a celebration of an elopement,” Brenda tells Molly, waiting for her to say something.

 

“That did take everyone by surprise didn’t it?” Molly asks me, smiling up adoringly.

 

“We wanted to do it our way,” I tell her.

 

“I’m sure everyone understood,” She tells them.

 

“I would have liked to be there. Your mother’s family isn’t the only one who could be happy about a marriage. We could at least be introduced since we’re now family,” Craig tell her, looking at me.

 

“Brian Kinney, meet my father, Craig Taylor... and Brenda,” Molly says, with Brenda’s name like an afterthought.

 

“Molly, don’t you think your father and I should be included in the celebration? From what I’ve heard, everyone in the club has been invited, and I would hate for people to think you forgot your family,” Brenda tells her.

 

“Oh, did we forget someone from my family? I’ll have to let Grandma know, but I know with it being short notice they only invited important people and had to leave the less desirables off, to make sure the right people were present to meet Brian. In fact, Grandpa wanted to make sure to introduce Brian to a few businessmen who’ve been dying to meet him,” Molly tells her.

 

“What do you do?” Craig asks.

 

“I run an Ad agency and a club right now. I’m about to start looking into the real estate game. Jen and I were talking about it,” I tell him.

 

“I happen to own a couple of stores. If you’re looking to invest, why not go with a business that’s already established, like Taylor Electronics?” Craig tells me, as if the name should impress me.

 

“Taylor Electronics? Is it located around here?” I ask.

 

“Sorry Dad, but I see Grandma waiting for us. Have a nice evening, if I don’t see you again,” Molly announces, walking us away.

 

JUSTIN

 

I walked in with my mom and Tucker. As we walked by, my father blocked my mother from going in. As usual, he ignored me and Tucker, which was stupid because Tucker wasn’t intimidated by my father.

 

“Let go of my wife,” Tucker told him.

 

“Not until she tells me why I wasn’t told about tonight,” He tells him.

 

“You weren’t told because you specifically told me that MY CHILDREN weren’t yours, since they went against everything you wanted. It also wasn’t my job to tell you anything they didn’t want you to know. I also didn’t see the point, when you wouldn’t be happy about anything unless they married by your approval. Now excuse us, we have a party to attend and the RIGHT people to greet,” She tells him, walking off.

 

“This wouldn’t have happened if you hadn’t wanted to flaunt your sins to the world,” Brenda tells me.

 

“At least your sister figured out she needed to do something right. Make sure you don’t run him off by making a spectacle of yourself,” Craig tells me.

 

“Do me a favor, pretend you don’t know me. It shouldn’t be hard, it’s the way we’ve handled it for a while now,” I tell him.

 

“If you weren’t a faggot, then it wouldn’t have happened!” Brenda says loudly, and has my Dad ready to throttle her. Especially when people stopped what they were doing and stared at her.

 

Craig looked around, and slowly, as the members that once allowed him in their circles turned their backs as he looked at them. It wasn’t like he didn’t know there were less people who were willing to wear their bigotry for all to see, it was that they knew it could cost them money if anyone found out they weren’t much better than Craig and Brenda. 

 

“Mr Taylor and Mrs Taylor, I’d like to speak with you in private.” The president of the club tells them.

 

“I expect to be welcome to the party after we’re through,” Craig tells me.

 

MICHAEL

 

I was running late, after having to tell Monty and Eli that I couldn’t get them an invitation. When I walked in, it was to hear the way that guy talked to Justin. Why would he want to come to a party that was celebrating a gay marriage, I thought. I caught up to Justin and he didn’t seem like it bothered him, so I figured he didn’t really know the guy.

 

“Who was that?” I asked him.

 

“My dad and stepmother.” He tells me.

 

“Are you serious?” I ask.

 

“Don’t worry about it. You look nice,” He tells me, making me feel like a jerk for the way I’ve been acting around him.

 

“Can we talk before we go in?” I ask.

 

“Michael, can we just go in and have a good time?” He asks.

 

“Yes, but I need to tell you that I was being a jackass. I’m lucky that Ben puts up with my shit, especially when I realized that if the situation had been reversed I wouldn’t have been as good about it. Which is a lie, I’d have ended up doing what I already have been to Brian. I know I haven’t given you a reason to want me around and I’m not going to push like I always do. I just want to show you that I am happy for you and Brian,” He tells me.

 

“I want you and Brian to still be friends. Understand that I will never tell him that if you need him he can’t be there for you. As weird as it sounds, I like you when you’re not trying to prove Brian is your best friend,” He smiles at me, I couldn’t help it, I hugged him because he was just too fucking nice.

 

“You approve of that behavior?” Came from behind us.

 

“Brenda, shut up,” Justin’s father tells her.

 

“Don’t tell me to shut up. We’re being excluded from the party that everyone who’s anyone is being invited to, yet they let THAT come,” She spat.

 

“Shut up!” Craig yells at her, before looking at Justin and me like we just spread the gay plague to the country club.

 

“Baby, tell me that this isn’t your father,” I say in a girly voice, making Justin laugh.

 

“Good God Justin, tonight is about your sister and her husband, and once again you plan to turn a respectable evening into a fiasco,” Brenda tells him, confusing both of us.

 

“Brad, can’t you see what letting people like them into the club will do?” Craig asks.

 

“That Frank and I don’t live in the stone age, the way you do. I happen to love my grandson the way he is and anyone who comes with him, which doesn’t extend to you.” Justin’s grandmother says as she and a man come out of the closed off room. 

 

“Michael, it’s nice to finally meet you, we’ve heard some interesting stories about you. Aunt Rose and Aunt Mary have been getting to know your son and husband, and I have to say, you got yourself a hunk in that one,” Justin’s grandmother tells me.

 

“I know. especially when he goes shirtless, Ma'am,” I tell her, wiggling my eyebrows, thinking of all the things Ben and I did in the last few days.

 

“Really. Well since we’re going out clubbing later, you’ll have to get him to show us. Frank take care of this. Michael, it’s Grandma, to him it’s Ma'am,” She tells me, tilting her head at Craig.

 

“I never knew my grandparents,” I tell her.

 

“Well Honey, after meeting your mother, I have to wonder if maybe I didn’t leave a kid at the hospital,” She tells me, grabbing my arm and pulling me with her.

 

BRIAN

 

Michael came in and jerked his head at me towards the doors. I got up and went to see if Justin was here, but passed Michael, who stopped me and whispered what was going on outside the room, before being dragged to the table where Hunter was being hounded by the Aunts.

 

I walked out to see Justin looking bored with what his father was saying to him. Frank was speaking to the President of the club, letting Justin deal with what was going on. Lindsay’s parents came in, stopping when they saw me. 

 

“Lindsay told us you were going to be here too. We’d appreciate it if you didn’t mention the unfortunate situation Lindsay was in when she had Gus,” Ron tells me.

 

“We think it’s better for everyone to not know that Lindsay was confused. Ron is looking forward to get to know Frank, and well, we just don’t want the unfortunate past to ruin her future with her new husband,” Nancy tells me.

 

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem,” I tell them, wanting to get to Justin.

 

“Oh my, it’s kind of colorful,” Was the last thing I heard Nancy say as she went in.

 

“Everything okay? You're running late,” I tell Justin.

 

“Brian, it might be better if Justin didn’t show up to celebrate with you,” Craig tells me.

 

“It would defeat the purpose of why the party is being thrown if Justin wasn’t there,” I tell him.

 

“Look I’m just thinking of your business, people pretend they don’t care, but I know I wouldn’t let a faggot near my business. It’s why I wrote Justin out of my will,” He tells me.

 

“He doesn’t need your money Craig, something he proved when he didn’t go to you for help,” Frank tells him.

 

“I don’t want Molly’s future in trouble because Justin has to flaunt himself,” Craig tells him.

 

“Justin’s queer,” Brenda whispers to me.

 

“Me too. Small world. Now, my husband and I would like to join in the party that was planned to celebrate two gay men getting married,” I tell her, loving the shocked look on her face. 

 

“Craig, we don’t feel you and your wife are people who would represent the image we like to project as a member. I’m sure you can find a club that will, so please leave,” The club president tells them.

 

“Too bad, Grandma wanted to let them come in and join the party,” Frank laughs.

 

GUS

 

I stood around trying to figure out what to eat, but first Mom wanted me to sit with her and her parents. Gwen came up and sat in my mom’s lap, and I laughed when they thought she was Jenny. Jenny was busy showing off for the Aunts. 

 

“How does she fit in, and wouldn’t it be better not to have reminders?” Lynette says to Lindsay.

 

“With Grandma Thomas the more the merrier,” I tell her.

 

“Gus, the adults are talking,” Nancy admonishes me.

 

“My son was taught that his opinions are important,” My mom tells her, in the ‘Mom’ voice; which was cool since it wasn’t directed at me.

 

“Lindsay, he needs to understand how to behave with the people who you’ve brought into his life,” Nancy tell her.

 

“Gussy, come here my boy. Lindsay, you need to get to your seat too,” Aunt Rose yells, louder than Deb.

 

I watch my mom’s parents, who looked gleeful that my mom and I were sitting at the table in the front. At least they did, until Mel walked up and laid one on my mom. It might have also been the big banner that floated down with CONGRATULATIONS for my dads on getting married. Possibly it could have been when Grandma and the Aunts asked all the couples to stand up and ordered everyone to congratulate all the couples that married regardless of what all the bigots of the world think. 

 

So on to the greatest party ever, I got to see Babylon. Although I agree that a horse wasn’t the greatest idea, since they like, poop. Dad took it okay, just handed a shovel to the Aunts. Gwen, Poppy, and I were taken up to my dad’s office when Grandma said that there were just some things we needed to wait to see. When we came back down, everyone was dancing to old people music, to which my Dads scowled at me when I called it that. I danced with my sisters and Poppy, since they made me. Then it was really cool because Grandma and the Aunts got Nancy drunk and well, my eyes got covered again, but my dad agreed he could have lived without seeing Nancy pole dance.

 

Justin came and got me while everyone was busy and I told him Michael should come too. Michael followed like the puppy he is most of the time and practically jumped up and down when he saw what we were doing. I went to get my dad and the others to the top of the building.

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian decided that the women in my family were way too much fun. Everyone came to the roof of Babylon to see what I asked Grandma to arrange. 

 

“Nothing much to see other than a dirty steel town,” Ted commented, just as Michael lit the fuses.

 

We all watched as fireworks went off in the sky. “I thought we should have the fireworks,” I tell Brian.

 

Which were great until the police showed up at the door. “Grandma, you did get the permit didn’t you?” Emmett asks.

 

“You need one?” She asks. 

 

“Hunter, dude, we’re going to jail,” Aunt Rose yells with glee.

 

“Um, trust me you don’t want to. It was really boring,” Ted tells her.

 

“Teddy, stop ruining the moment,” Aunt Mary yells at him.

 

We didn’t hear the rest because Brian dragged me behind him and locked us in the backroom while Carl likely kept the Hens out of trouble. Fireworks weren’t only on the roof.

 

Chapter 25 by starlight

GUS

 

We were once again at the family reunion / anniversary party. Grandma said that we might as well celebrate everything we can and the Aunts agreed. They invited everyone and promised that Gwen and I got to give their gift to my dads. 

 

They asked me what I wanted, since it was my first year as their grandson. It was really cool, since I got a huge family that took in all the family I’ve ever known. I told them they were my gift, but of course the Hens seemed to think making my parents crazy was their job as well as mine. Dad took it pretty well, likely because Boz would live at my moms house. Mom, at first wasn’t thrilled, but then liked that Boz seems to scare the bejesus out of Michael. Although I don’t get it, Boz only wanted some love and didn’t like that Michael snatched Jenny up like Boz was going to do something to her. I guess that Michael found the size of a Newfoundland a bit intimidating. They only picked him because his former family moved and couldn’t take him with them. Dad even liked Boz enough to let him stay over when I was there.

 

Deb got along with the Hens and everyone still wonders if somehow she was switched at birth, since she and the hens get in trouble together all the time. With Aunt Mary being in Pittsburgh all the time, Uncle Ted says that we are all lucky that Carl is a cop. 

 

I smiled at my moms with Michael and Ben, they all seem to get along now that Jenny talks more than all of them put together. Michael managed to figure out he didn’t know all the answers and started listening when Mama and Mom offered help in how to raise a daughter. Dad managed to let go of his anger towards Michael, after he showed up with a ugly statue as a house warming present for my dads. Uncle Ted just rolled his eyes at it, saying hopefully he didn’t pay five hundred dollars for it.

 

Poppy and Gwen managed to get my Dad to get them princess dresses for every occasion and thought I should have to dress up too. My answer was to run to Mama, before they convinced my Dad to make me go shopping. She tried to not be insulted when I said she would understand not wanting to dress up all the time. 

 

My mom delighted in telling her parents that we were busy with Grandpa and Grandma, and that she really didn’t feel right inviting them to a family event. Her parents suddenly remembered they had a daughter and thought it meant being invited to some of the parties the Hens threw in Pittsburgh. Instead, my Mom told them Grandma only wanted the right people coming to her parties. Mama about busted a gut over that.

 

It was cool to see my Dad happy, and in a way Gwen, Poppy, and I felt like we helped. Uncle Emmett said so, and well, we all know he speaks the truth.

 

After Grandpa managed to make a feast, they put music on and everyone paired up to dance. I did my duty like Nana told me and danced with both my sisters, and then Poppy, who announced to everyone that one day she was going to marry me, and Uncle Ted told me he’d be proud to have me as a son-in-law while the rest of them awed about it. I looked over at the edge of the lawn where my dads danced alone, as if there was no one but them here. Grandma called them over and nodded to Gwen and I to join her. 

 

I handed Dad the envelope and Gwen gave our other dad the keys. Dad laughed when he read the deed to the cottage.

 

“We already got married.” He joked to her.

 

“I know, but it’s the place where all my dreams came true, so now it’s yours.” Grandma tells them.

 

“Is it time?” Michael shouts.

 

“Yes, son.” Deb says, rolling her eyes at his excitement.

 

“Um, do you really think he should be doing that?” Emmett asks.

 

“If he hurts himself, Justin can take care of it.” Drew laughs.

 

Michael only got singed a little when he set off the fireworks. Not that anyone cared, because we were all too busy watching three hundred fireworks go off. Like I said, the Hens do nothing in a small way, and who could blame them.

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1093