Changes by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Some changes are in store for our Sunshine Family.

Story #39 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 51668 Read: 24010 Published: Sep 23, 2017 Updated: Sep 23, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Changes

Chapter 1






“GUUUUSSSSS!” Bree screeched. She ran as fast as her little legs would carry her. With a force that almost knocked Gus onto his ass, she crashed into his legs, her face just about even with his crotch.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus laughed picking her up and hugging her hard. “Take it easy or you could cause permanent damage.”

“I miss you so much,” Bree cried as she kissed all over her brother’s face.

“I missed you too,” Gus replied. He felt tears well up in his eyes and a large lump develop in his throat. He had only been away at college for a little over a week, but he missed everyone so much.

“What are you doing here, Sonny Boy?” Brian asked as he quickly made his way over to Gus, without making it too obvious that he was thrilled to see his son.

“The moms asked me if I’d like to come home for Molly’s housewarming. How could I pass up an offer like that?”

Brian grinned, but he had to ask, “And none of you thought to inform me?”

“It’s called a surprise,” Gus laughed as he set Bree down.

Brian gave him a big hug. “It’s a … not bad surprise,” he whispered into Gus’ ear.

“Thanks, Pop, it’s good to see you too.”

The family and most of Liberty Avenue, plus the Brenners, were assembled at Molly and Owen’s new cottage. They finally had it almost the way they wanted it. Brian had worked on their gardens, and they were looking beautiful, although they would continue to improve as the years went on. Brian had planted carefully with the future in mind.

It was the Labor Day weekend, and Molly, knowing the tradition of assembling at Edna’s Treasures for that day, had decided to combine it with her housewarming. John and Brian had moved the grills down to Molly’s cottage so that they could cook up a great barbecue for the assembled masses. Lawn chairs had been transported and everyone was assembled at the new cottage.

Tours of the cottage had been conducted with everyone oohing and aahing. It really was a tranquil and beautiful little cottage that John and his men had created for the young couple. Everyone loved Taylor’s room which contained a wall mural of baby toys painted by the inimitable Justin Taylor.

“Hey, buddy,” Justin said to Gus pulling him into a big hug. “How’s it going at Penn?”

“We haven’t started classes yet, but there have been some great parties,” Gus replied with a twinkle in his eye.

“Parties?” Justin asked raising an eyebrow in a manner worthy of his husband.

“I’ve also got all my books and I’ve done some of the required reading.” Justin nodded approvingly. “And I’ve gone to several parties.”

“Who’s throwing these parties?” Justin asked.

“I joined the GLBT club and they had one, and we had a little get-together at the house.”

“How much of a mess?” Justin asked knowingly.

“Huge!”

“So, did you clean it up?”

“Me and Timmy,” Gus said with a blush. “He’s almost as anal as I am. And I guess I have Pop to thank for that annoying trait.”

“Moi?” Brian asked tongue in cheek. No one was more anal than Brian Kinney.

“Guuuss,” Bree said still holding onto her brother’s hand.

“I hope you’re not going to carry this partying into the school year,” Brian said in a warning voice.

“I intend to work hard on my studies, but I also intend to party when I have the chance.”

“And that’s the way it should be,” Justin said quickly when he saw the disapproving look on Brian’s face.

“Guuusss!” Bree said more forcefully.

“What is it, short stuff?” Gus asked as he finally paid attention to his little sister.

“Can you talk to me?” she asked.

“Sure, what do you want to talk about?”

“I want to go to Penn with you?”

“Huh?” Gus asked not understanding Bree’s statement.

“I want to go to Penn,” Bree repeated.

“But you have to go to your own school,” Gus said looking at his father or Justin for help.

“Don’t want to. I want to go to Penn with you.”

“You have to graduate from elementary school, at least, before you can go to university,” Gus explained with a chuckle.

Bree frowned. “But that man at the uni-ver-sity,” she said carefully so that she got each syllable right, “said that I could go to Penn.”

“He meant in a few years … when you’re older.”

“I want to go now,” Bree said.

“I don’t think that’s possible,” Gus said gently. He hated to disillusion the little girl.

“I want to go … NOW … with you!” Bree declared.

Gus looked at his father and Justin. “Help,” he pleaded.

Justin stared at Brian. “This one’s yours.”

“She’s your daughter.”

“And you planted the seeds of her going to Penn,” Justin retorted. “Deal with it.”

Brian heaved a sigh and picked up his daughter. “Squirt, they don’t take students your age at Penn. You saw all the big people there, like Gus.”

“Don’t care,” Bree pouted. “I want to go with Gus.”

“They won’t let you.”

“I could convince them,” Bree said confidently.

Brian frowned. He didn’t seem to be getting anywhere. “We’ll visit Gus often, so you don’t have to miss him so much,” Brian promised.

“Don’t want to visit. I want to go to Penn with Gus.”

Brian knew he had to come up with something or they might be in the middle of a full blown tantrum. “Won’t you miss Ashley if you go away to school?” Brian asked grasping at that straw.

“Ashley?” Bree asked. She hadn’t been thinking about Ashley. She had been fixated on Gus.

“Ashley won’t be able to go to Penn, even if you can convince the dean to accept you. Ashley will be very lonely without you.”

“Oh!” Bree replied with a furrowing of her brow.

“You don’t want to make Ashley sad, do you?”

“No,” Bree sighed.

“Then maybe you should stay at your school here,” Brian said hopefully. “You and Ashley can go away to university together when you grow up.”

“Maybe,” Bree conceded.

“You think about it, Squirt,” Brian said as he set her down. “Go ask Auntie Emm for a drink of juice.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said as she ran over to Emmett.

“Good one, Pop,” Gus said.

“I just played the ever reliable Ashley card,” Brian said smugly.

“And what are you going to do when she wants to go away to school with Ashley in a few years?” Justin asked.

“She’ll never remember,” Brian replied.

“Wanna bet?” Justin asked.

Brian frowned as Justin and Gus had a good laugh at Brian’s expense.



*****



“Curtis!” Gus called out as the Samuels-Angles-Sanchez car pulled up. They had become a part of the Edna’s Treasures family and attended many of the family gatherings. The boys hugged and slapped each other on the back.

“Hey, Gus! How’s it going at school?”

“So far, it’s great. Of course I haven’t gone to a class yet so maybe you ought to ask me that question in a few weeks.”

“What about PIFA?”

“Their schedule’s a little different. I already have projects to work on.”

“Wow.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Are you worried?”

“No, but I can already see that I’ll have to stay focused if I want to keep my grades up. But enough about me. You excited to be back in school soon?”

“Yeah, I am. I mean I loved the summer and working with Dr. Raph and Hector, but it’s not so easy to be a vet. All those sick animals and they can’t tell you what’s wrong. Dr. Raph and Hector are so good with them, but I think I need a break.”

“Some break, you’ll be in school all day.”

“Yeah but I like school.”

“So do I,” Gus said with a smile. “Come on; let’s go find something to eat.” The boys walked toward the front door of the new cottage, deep in conversation.



*****



“You two behaving?” Brian addressed Melanie, his eyebrow arched high. The girls appeared to be in cooperation mode for the day.

“For now,” Melanie snarked, as she filled up two plates with salad.

“Where’s JR?” Brian asked, looking around for the girl.

“How come you seem to get along better with my daughter than I do?”

“Women love me,” Brian boasted. “Except for you, of course,” he retorted as he picked a tomato wedge off her plate then popped it in his mouth.

“You’re a pig,” Melanie griped menacingly.

“And you’re an uptight bitch,” Brian growled back. The long time nemeses glared at each other then broke out into giggles. “Mel, honestly, are you two okay? You had Gus worried when I picked him up that day. JR wasn’t looking very happy either. And speaking about the young lady, how are you?” Brian asked JR as she approached them.

“I’m fine, Uncle Bri.”

“Sweetheart, here’s your salad and would you mind giving this one to Mom?”

“Is this your way of getting rid of me ‘cause you two want to talk privately?” JR asked. She was a very savvy girl.

“Um, yes,” Mel answered, unable to hide anything from her very astute daughter.

“Okay,” JR said cheerfully as she took the plates. “Later, Uncle Bri.”

“Later,” Brian responded. “She’s got fucking brains, that one. Are you sure Mikey’s the father?”

“Yeah, I’m sure,” Mel answered softly. Then out of nowhere, Melanie revealed, “She’s agreed to couples therapy. We have our first appointment later this week.”

“What about the show?” Brian asked knowing it was a convenient excuse for Lindsay not to go.

“She promised me this time. It was either that or getting a subpoena,” Melanie said sadly. Brian stepped closer. He saw the small lines around her eyes and the dark shadows under them.

“Can...can I help?” He never really hated the woman and he did feel somewhat responsible for getting them back together.

“I wish we could have some more time alone, without worrying about work and shit,” she said wistfully. Brian’s brain went into full problem solver mode as he gently guided the petite woman back out into the garden. “What are these?” Mel asked as she caressed a tall colorful stalk-like flower.

“Lupines,” Brian answered without a moment’s hesitation. “The Plaza.”

“What?”

“Send JR to her father’s for a weekend then take your wife for a spa weekend at the Plaza.”

“Brian, that place is expensive.”

“And so is picking up the pieces after your marriage falls apart. Mel, don’t worry about the cost. I keep a suite of rooms there for Kinnetik and for whenever I need them. Speak to Ted; he’ll make the arrangements. I’ll speak to Emmett.”

“Emmett?”

“Yes. I have a standing contract with him to cater the suite at my request. He’ll also know how to book the spa day.”

“Why, Brian?”

“Why?”

“Yeah, why? It’s certainly not because you have a deep seeded love for me. I know you’ve always thought Lindsay could do better.”

“That’s not true. I just didn’t believe in gay marriage at the time. I still don’t believe in it for everyone. I don’t want either of you to be hurt, and I certainly don’t want my son and JR hurt because you and Lindsay can’t seem to get it together. Gus is worried he’ll come home from college to find you guys have split.”

“I know. JR’s been giving me the evil eye lately. She has a lot of Debbie in her.”

“Shit! That’s a scary thought.” They moved over to another bunch of tall flowers.

“What are these?”

“Purple cone flowers.”

“I still can’t get over how much you know about gardening!”

“People change, Mel. We can learn and grow.”

“What have you learned?” Mel murmured. A small bee was buzzing from flower to flower trying to gather as much pollen as it could before the cold weather set in.

“I’ve learned that some changes and compromises must take place to keep a relationship going.”

“You, Brian Kinney, Mister my way or no way, have the nerve to preach about relationships?”

“I’m not preaching, just stating the obvious. Examine the evidence, Mel. You know me and you’ve known Justin since he was seventeen. Think about it,” Brian said as he turned to go back into the cottage.

“What are...?”

“Hostas!” he called out over as shoulder as he walked back toward the grills.



*****



“Mom, isn’t my cottage beautiful?!” Molly gushed as she gave Jennifer and Seth the tour of the tiny cottage.

“It’s quite beautiful, honey,” Jennifer agreed. “But isn’t it a little small,” Jenn whispered.

“Mom, we wanted it small. It’s not like we’re going to live here year round. It’s really just a summer home. Just some place we can come to when we want to get out of the city.”

“Then in that case, I think it’s perfect. And it looks easy to keep clean,” Jennifer commented.

“Oh, Mom.”

“I think it’s perfect and I love the color scheme you picked out,” Seth said. “I think the sage walls fit the theme of the garden and yet are neutral enough to go with practically everything.”

Mother and daughter stared at Seth for a moment.

“What?” Seth asked the women.

“Nothing!” mother and daughter said together then giggled. Seth shook his head then decided to help Brian and John with the grills.



*****



“This is some fucking place,” Debbie mumbled around an ear of corn.

“John did an outstanding job,” Carl agreed. “And that garden! They say Brian had a hand in that.”

“He is the master,” Debbie said, raising her corn in a salute. She and Carl laughed. Then she grew quiet for a moment. “Carl, honey, things feel different to me,” Debbie said solemnly.

“In what way?”

“I’m not sure, but so many things have changed in the past year.”

“Sweetheart, not all changes are bad. Look at us. We’re free to come and go as we please, and I think it’s time for another road trip. Maybe after Gus’ birthday. Some place warm.”

“Honey, it’s still warm here.”

“You know what I mean.”

“Okay, I’m game but we’re back by Christmas. Deal?”

“Deal!” Debbie and Carl kissed on it then continued to eat their excellent meal.



*****



“Susan, why are we here?” Craig Taylor whined at his wife. Emmett walked by and handed them plates filled with a variety of foods. Susan smiled fondly at the tall queen. Craig just about acknowledged him with a grunt.

“We’re here because your daughter and son-in-law are having their first party in their new summer home,” Susan said reasonably. She was determined that Craig Taylor’s homophobic attitude was not going to ruin her day.

Owen walked up with a beer for his father-in-law. Craig took it then took a good long drink. He looked around the yard then finished off his beer.



*****



“Hey,” Justin greeted Brian as he was finishing up at the grill.

“Hey, yourself, Sunshine. What do you have there?” Brian asked as he noticed something hidden behind Justin’s back.

“Just a little treat for us to share,” Justin said with a coy smile.

“I’m all for public sex but not in front of the kids,” Brian snarked as he raised a brow.

“There are other ways of showing affection,” said Justin as he revealed his hidden prize.

“Ice cream?”

“Vanilla ice cream,” Justin murmured as he dipped his spoon into the bowl then offered the creamy cool confection to his mate. Brian obediently took the offering then watched as Justin ate some. Justin stood on his toes to share a cool sweet kiss with his lover.

“Justin,” Brian growled out a warning. He could feel himself growing hard in response, and this certainly wasn’t the time or the place.

Justin stepped back. “I know, later.”

“Why?”

Justin smiled; he knew what his lover meant. Translating Brian-speak was almost second nature to Justin. “Because I realize how stressful the Summer has been for you, for us. The henge, this cottage, the gate. Even Bree going to camp.”

“The advertising campaign from hell,” Brian griped, referring to the Lethal Motorcycle campaign which was still in research mode.

“Exactly. And now Gus, almost a man, going off to college. I just wanted to remind you that not all things change. There’s one thing that you can count on for the rest of your life,” Justin exclaimed with confidence.

“Oh yeah?” Brian asked smugly.

“Yeah,” Justin replied in the same smug tone.

“What’s that?”

“That I love you. That whenever you need it, I’ll be there with ice cream kisses. And no matter what happens, you are my world,” Justin whispered.

Brian pulled the younger man close, wrapping his arms around him, the ice cream threatening to go splat onto a shrub.

“You are my life, Brian,” Justin murmured into his husband’s chest. Justin felt Brian nod and the hug tighten, Brian-speak for ‘I love you too, Sunshine’.

Across the yard, the exchange did not go unnoticed.

“They never seem to get enough of one another,” Lindsay commented with a tinge of envy.

“That’s not a bad thing,” Mel said.

“You’re defending their behavior?” Lindsay said with shock.

“They love and respect each other, Lindz. That’s so much more than half the couples we know, including us.”

“But I love you,” Lindsay replied.

“Sometimes I wonder,” Mel said sadly as she turned to find her son and daughter.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 2





The housewarming was winding down. Some people had left already, including Craig and Susan. Craig had been wanting to leave for hours, but Susan had insisted they stay until after dinner.

Brian, John and Seth had managed to cook up some major ribs on the barbecues. It was something new that Brian had been experimenting with, and he thought he had finally found the perfect marinade for the ribs, and the perfect method of cooking them on the barbecue. The fact that it took almost the whole day to cook them to perfection didn’t seem to bother Brian at all. He loved the results, and everyone made sure to tell him they did too.

Once Craig had eaten his ribs, which he was forced to admit were delicious, he took his leave. He found Molly and Owen and gave Taylor a hug and kiss before heading out to see if he could extricate his car from all the vehicles that now lined the lane.

“Gampa, Gampa!” Bree shouted when she saw him heading down the walkway to the lane. “Where are you going?” she demanded.

“Gamma Susan and I are going home,” Craig said brusquely. He didn’t even realize he used the silly appellation that Bree always called his wife by.

“But why? You didn’t hardly talk to me at all,” Bree pouted.

“Sorry, Briana,” Craig said brusquely. He knew she was right, and he was sorry that he hadn’t spent more time with his granddaughter. But he wanted to get the fuck away from all these people that had surrounded him all afternoon.

“Do you like Taylor better than me?” Bree asked, seemingly out of the blue.

“Of course not!” Craig told her. “Why would you think such a thing? Come here and give me a hug.”

Bree ran over to her grandfather and held up her arms. Craig hoisted her up and received several loving kisses on his cheeks. It made him smile.

“Stay longer,” Bree begged.

“No, sweetheart, I think it’s time Susan and I went home.”

Bree sighed loudly. “If you have to…”

“Maybe you can come and visit us after school gets started,” Susan suggested. “We’d love to have you for a weekend.”

“Maybe,” Bree said as Craig set her down. “Bye, Gamma Susan.”

Susan hugged the beautiful little girl, who then watched them walk away.

“You did neglect her today,” Susan said to her husband. “You should be ashamed of yourself. You know how much she loves you.”

“I … I find it hard to concentrate with all these people around,” Craig said lamely.

“You mean with all the homosexuals around,” Susan reminded him knowingly.

“Let’s get the fuck out of here,” Craig declared as he unlocked the car.

Susan glared at her insensitive husband, but she climbed into the car. Craig maneuvered it out from between the other cars and they took off towards the gate.



*****



“You going to let him out?” Justin asked as he saw Brian standing by the intercom that could be used to activate the gate.

“I can’t decide whether to trap him here in Homo Hell and make him suffer, or let him get the fuck away from me before I kill him,” Brian retorted.

“Open the gate,” Justin ordered.

Brian pushed the button and they waited long enough for the vehicle to pass through. “Why is he mean to Bree when sheÂ’s his flesh and blood?”

“He probably doesn’t even realize he hurts her when he ignores her. He’s so fucked up.”

“No excuse,” Brian declared pushing the button to close the gate behind his fucking father-in-law.

“No, it’s not, but he is what he is.”

“Fuckhead is what I’d call him.”

“Just not in front of Bree.”

“Of course not,” Brian agreed. “But it doesn’t mean I don’t think it every fucking time I look at him.”

Justin smiled just a bit before hugging his cantankerous husband.



*****



“Bree,” Gus said, “are you okay?” He had watched the exchange between Bree and her grandfather. He hoped his sister was all right.

“Yes,” Bree replied. She was staring at her grandfather’s car as it disappeared through the gate of Edna’s Treasures lane.

“Then come on back to the party.”

“Do you think Gampa doesn’t like me as much as he likes Taylor?” Bree asked with a sad look on her face.

“Of course not, short stuff. I’m sure Craig loves you as much as he ever did.” Gus chose those words carefully, knowing that the relationship of the family with Craig Taylor was at best tenuous. He did think the man loved his sister, however.

“He didn’t spend no time with me today. He held Taylor for … forever,” Bree complained.

“Taylor’s just a baby. He needs a lot more attention than a big girl like you does,” Gus told her, hoping that would cheer her up.

“If I’m a big girl, can I go back to Penn with you?” Bree asked.

Gus drew in a breath. Fuck! How did they get back to this? “Um … I thought you didn’t want to leave Ashley,” Gus replied hoping his father’s use of Ashley would also work for him.

“I want to go with you.”

“I don’t think that’s possible, Squirt.”

Tears welled up in Bree’s eyes. “I’m going home,” she declared and started down the walkway to the lane.

“There’s nobody at Edna’s Treasures,” Gus said quickly.

“Don’t care. You’re all mean.” Bree kept walking.

“Want me to come with you?” Gus asked.

“No!”

“Bree, you can’t go by yourself,” Gus said lamely.

“Yes, I can.”

“Let me come with you.”

“No, go away.”

“Bree? Please,” Gus pleaded.

Bree stopped and turned around. Tears ran down her face. “I don’t want you to go away,” she wailed.

“I’m not going anywhere at the moment.”

“You’ll go back to Pittsburgh with your moms, and I’ll be here all by myself,” Bree sobbed.

“What if I stay here tonight … with you?” Gus asked, hoping that would mollify his little sister.

“You will?” Bree asked, the clouds on her face vanishing somewhat.

“I think we can arrange that,” Gus replied.

“I love you, Gus,” Bree said hitching a breath, as more tears rolled down her face.

Gus was quickly at her side wiping at her tears and kissing her cheek as he squatted beside her. “I love you too, Bree. You can always be sure of that.”

“’Kay,” Bree replied stifling a sob. She wrapped her arms around Gus’ neck.

“All these changes are hard on you, aren’t they, short stuff?” Gus asked as he clutched Bree’s little body against him. He could feel Bree nod her head in response. “I’m sorry it’s so hard for you.”

“Me too,” Bree sniffled. She liked Gus holding onto her. It made her feel a little better.

“Let’s go back to Molly’s house, and I’ll get some tissues so you can blow your nose.”

“’Kay.”

“That’s my brave little sister,” Gus said as he stood up. He held out his hand and Bree placed her small one in it. They walked back up the walkway to Molly’s house.



*****



“You think she’ll be all right?” Justin asked Brian.

“Yeah, and I think we should let Gus handle this one.”

“Coward,” Justin said.

“I know, but he seems to be doing a good job.”

They had been watching the scene play out between Gus and Bree, ready to jump in if they were needed or if Gus called for help. Now they watched Gus lead Bree into Molly’s cottage. They knew he would take good care of his little sister.

“What’s Bree going to be like when Gus has to go back to Penn?” Justin asked.

“I don’t know, and I’m hoping something will happen so we don’t have to find out.”

“What could possibly happen?”

“I don’t know, but we may have to start a branch of Penn State in the lane so that Gus can stay here, and Bree can go to school with him.”

Justin chuckled, and then realized that Brian was only half kidding.



*****



“You ladies want the brass bed or the futon in the attic?” Brian asked Lindsay and Mel.

Most of the guests had gone home. The girls decided to stay to allow Gus more time with Bree and Brian. Ted and Allen were staying at Emmett and Drew’s for the night then would join the family for breakfast the next day. Molly, Owen and baby Taylor were spending the weekend in their new cottage.

“If we promise to behave, can we stay out here?” Mel asked. Brian nodded; he figured as much. Once you had the pleasure of spending the night on the brass bed, it was a temptation difficult to resist.

“Do you need pjs?”

“No, we packed an overnight bag just in case. We’ve learned to come up here prepared,” Lindsay admitted as she rummaged through her bag to find her pajamas. Mel was folding back the bedspread.

“See! And who says you can’t teach an old bitch new tricks,” Brian said with an expression of complete innocence. He was then pelted by several throw pillows.



*****



“Daddy, can Gus read me my bedtime story tonight?” Bree asked her father as he was tucking her into bed.

“Of course, baby girl. Let Dada say goodnight first while I get Gus, okay?” Bree nodded. Justin smoothed out the sheets, kissed his daughter then left to get Brian and Gus.

“Hey Squirt, I hear that you want your story from Gus tonight,” Brian said as he entered Bree’s room.

“Is that okay?” Bree asked. She didn’t want to hurt her daddies’ feelings.

“Of course it’s okay,” Brian reassured her with a hug and a kiss. “You love your brother and he loves you.”

“Dada, are you sure I can’t go to Penn with Gus?”

“I’m sure. There are some basic requirements needed to get into college, like finishing elementary school and high school. Completing only kindergarten falls a little short of those requirements.”

Bree’s face fell with disappointment.

“But,” Brian began as he lifted her chin with his finger. “If you study very, very hard, one day you’ll be able to go to almost any college you want. You are one smart Squirt.” Brian said proudly.

Bree gave him a coy smile. Brian shook his head. “So much like your daddy,” he mumbled. He kissed his daughter as a light knocking signaled Gus at the door. “Night, Squirt,” Brian said as he opened the door for Gus. Brian bussed his son’s temple with a kiss as he walked into his sister’s room.

“Night, Dada.”

Gus settled next to his sister as he opened the book she had picked out for him. Briana closed her eyes and sighed contentedly as Gus began the story.



*****



Down the lane at Emmett and Drew’s cottage, Emmett had put on a pot of coffee and was passing around slices of pound cake.

“Hey, Drew, how were you able to get this weekend off? Isn’t the team playing?” Allen asked the former quarterback and color man for the Ironmen football team.

“Well, it comes from being around for so long,” Drew replied.

“Ah, longevity, it does have its perks,” Ted quipped around his cake. Emmett brought in a tray with coffee and the fixings.

“I also have an Emmett clause in my contract,” Drew boasted to their two astounded friends.

“An Emmett clause?” Ted asked. “I’m no lawyer but I have been involved in hundreds of contracts. I have never heard of anything like an Emmett clause. Would you care to elaborate?”

“The last time I renewed my contract, I had them write into it a special clause that allows me time off if Emmett needs me. It’s my Emmett clause.”

“Ooohhh!” Ted and Allen said.

“Isn’t he the sweetest thing?” Emmett gushed displaying his biggest smile while he poured the coffee. The rest of their evening was spent in quiet conversation.

Just before turning in, Emmett took Ted aside. “Teddy, did Brian or Mel mention anything to you about the Plaza hotel?”

“As a matter of fact, they both did. Brian said to keep his suite on standby just in case. A little while later Melanie asked if I could reserve it for next weekend. Did they say anything to you?”

“Yes, they did. Mel ordered all of Lindsay’s faves and she asked me to book them a spa day, soup to nuts. I wonder what it all means?”

“They have been a little tense lately.”

“Teddy, honey, when have they ever NOT been tense?”

“True. I hope they can work things out.”

“Well, then I declare, in true fabulous homo fashion, that we, the little love fairies shall do our very best to keep those girls together.”

“Emm, I don’t think Brian would appreciate being referred to as a love fairy.”

“Oh honey, Brian’s the biggest love fairy of us all!”

The long time best of friends shared the laugh then went to bed.



*****



After making love in their brand new bed in the brand new cottage, Molly and Owen snuggled up.

“Owen, did your parents have a good time today?”

“I’m sure they did. I know Dad did. He really likes the guys and Carl. He loves it that they all treat him like one of the boys instead of the husband of Sharon Kingsley, son-in-law to the great Sarah Kingsley.”

“Do people really treat him that differently?” Molly asked, turning her head to look her husband in the eyes.

“Sometimes. I asked him about it one time. He said it could be a real pain in the ass at times, but he loves my mother so he puts up with it.”

“What about your mom, did she have a good time?” Molly asked with trepidation.

“She did. She forgets what it’s like when Grandma Sarah’s not around. She can drop some of the pretense. Sometimes she can’t help being a snob; she was raised that way. But being around your family helps.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope. Apparently the time spent at the cottage during the blizzard was an eye opener for her. Don’t get me wrong; she still has her moments but she really likes your family.” Molly smiled brightly. Owen realized just how lucky he was, holding the woman of his dreams in his arms. “I love you, Molly Brenner.”

“I love you, Owen Brenner.”

They kissed, cuddled and fell fast asleep.



*****



“Lindsay, do you promise that you’ll come to our couples therapy this week and that you’ll join me at the Plaza?” Mel asked, hoping for a positive response. “We really need this. I don’t want to end up a statistic.”

They were whispering as they lay in bed.

“Neither do I. And I promise I’ll be there at our appointment and at the hotel. Did Michael agree to have JR stay over?”

“He was all for it. He’ll get her after school and then drop her at school Monday morning. We’ll have the whole weekend. Is Mr. Bloom okay with this?”

“Yes. Everything is all set for the Emerging Artists show and it’s not like we’re going out of the country. But he understands that this can’t wait.” Lindsay moved her head closer to Melanie’s shoulder. “I’m sorry about Jamie. I got caught off guard and flattered that someone that young still found me attractive.”

“I always find you attractive,” Mel admitted.

“You’re still so beautiful and sexy. But I guess I don’t think things through like I should.”

“Lindz, I swear to you, there’s nothing going on between me and Leda.”

“I know. Brian told me that the weekend that I thought you two were together, Leda was up here.”

“Here where?”

“Here, here. Right here. She came up here to work with Brian on her ad campaign.”

“You don’t think the three of them...”

“No I don’t.

“I agree; the evidence is quite clear.”

“Evidence?”

“Brian and Justin, and only Brian and Justin, case closed.”

“Case closed.”



*****



The boys took a leisurely shower, washing off the sweat of the day and the smoky scent of the barbecue. They took pleasure in washing each other, gliding soapy sponges over taut smooth skin. When they were clean, Brian wrapped Justin up in a large fluffy bath sheet, then donning his own robe. He led Justin to their bed. The robe and towel landed in a heap at the foot of the bed as Brian kissed Justin deeply. The lovers entwined in the middle of their bed.

Brian nuzzled Justin’s neck just behind his right ear, nudging the damp blond locks away with his nose. Justin turned slightly to give Brian better access. A smug smile came to Brian’s lips, silently pleased and almost relieved that he could still turn on his young lover.

“Brian,” Justin whimpered impatiently as he tried to fist his own cock.

“Mine,” Brian commanded as he batted away Justin’s hand. He went down on Justin, taking long licks from his slit to his balls then to his hole that lay hidden between Justin’s thighs.

“Please,” Justin begged.

“What do you want, Sunshine?”

“Make me come,” Justin pleaded.

“Always,” Brian murmured as he sucked down Justin’s dick and kept on sucking until hot cum shot down his throat.

As Justin shuddered with the aftershocks of his orgasm, Brian spread Justin’s legs wide, exposing the tight bud. With his tongue Brian pushed as much cum and spit as he could into Justin’s hole.

“Oh God! Fuck me!” Justin cried.

Using the cum and spit as lube, Brian pushed himself in, pausing just long enough for Justin to adjust to the intrusion then Brian began to fuck his lover.

“Harder,” Justin demanded.

“My sweet bottom boy,” Brian whispered as he pulled Justin’s legs closer and thrust deeper. Justin was the only lover that could ever match Brian's appetites.

“Yeah, fuck me,” Justin commanded.

Brian obliged until he felt his balls draw up tight. “Close,” Brian warned. Justin fisted his cock until they both came with loud grunts. Brian collapsed onto his elbows then laid his body on Justin’s. Brian felt Justin’s arms encircle him.

After their brains cleared and their breathing evened out, Brian made an interesting revelation.

“I solved your fucking in mid air dilemma.”

“What?”

“I said I...”

“I heard what you said. How?”

“I’ll find a way to hire the Vomit Comet.”

“That sounds gross, and what the fuck is the Vomit Comet?”

“It’s the plane the astronauts use for training in zero gravity. We’d be weightless for only thirty seconds but...”

“And you’d do this for me?”

“You just say the word, Sunshine, and I’ll do whatever it takes.”

With the strength of three Sunshines, Justin flipped Brian onto his back. He gazed down at his lover in amazement, eyes wide and sparkling like dark blue sapphires. Brian stifled a grin. The expression on Justin’s face so reminded Brian of their daughter.

“You’re serious.”

“Yup. It’ll have to wait until Tuesday, and I will have to work my ass off to pay for it...oomph!” Whatever else Brian was going to say was thwarted by Justin’s kisses.

“I don’t need you to hire the Vomit Comet,” Justin said breathlessly.

“No?”

“No.”

“Why?”

“Cause I’m flying high right here, and every time we fuck.”

Justin laid his head down on Brian’s chest and drifted off to sleep. Brian managed to cover them both before following Justin in sleep.


Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 3





“Hellooo!” Emmett called as he entered Edna’s Treasures through the sun porch door.

Beau raised his head and gave a little woof, before dropping his head back down. He fell back asleep almost immediately, as soon as he knew who had invaded his territory.

“Wha…” came from the big brass bed. “What the fuck are you doing, Honeycutt?” Melanie demanded as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes.

“I brought breakfast, and don’t call me Honeycutt.”

“What the fuck time is it?”

“Mel…” Lindsay interjected.

“It’s quarter to eight,” Emmett supplied. “I have muffins and popovers.”

“Did I hear popovers?” Brian’s voice boomed from his bedroom.

“Yes, sire, popovers.”

“Save me one,” Brian commanded. “I’m hitting the shower.”

“Yes, oh great adman,” Emmett laughed.

“Mel, let’s help Emmett make breakfast. It’s the least we can do,” Lindsay suggested.

Emmett looked at the two women in the big brass bed. “I can make breakfast without any help,” he said quickly. Lesbian eggs sounded completely wrong somehow.

“We’re helping,” Melanie said throwing back the sheet that lay over them.

“Ooohh!” Emmett shrieked covering his eyes and running for the kitchen.

“You may have scarred him for life,” Lindsay laughed.

“Serves him right,” Melanie retorted as she swung her legs out of the bed and hunted for some clothes.



*****



When Brian came out of the bedroom a few minutes later, breakfast was well under way. He assessed the situation, poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down at the kitchen table. “Good work, staff,” he said with a smirk.

“Asshole,” Melanie replied, earning a poke in the ribs from Lindsay.

“Where’s Justin?” Lindsay asked.

“In the shower.”

“You mean you didn’t shower together?”

“Contrary to popular belief, we do take part in some independent activities,” Brian replied.

“Yeah, right!” Melanie snarked. She was whipping the eggs before scrambling them.

“Where are the kids?” Brian asked.

“Nobody’s put in an appearance yet, probably because darling Emmett woke us up so early.”

“It wasn’t that early,” Emmett protested.

“I guess I’ll check on the kids,” Brian said standing up. “There will be something edible shortly, won’t there?”

“Yes, asshole.”

“Ah, my quota of assholes has been reached for this morning,” Brian said with a satisfied smirk on his face. He headed for the kids’ bedrooms.

“Mel, you should be nicer to Brian,” Lindsay chastised her husband. “You know what he’s doing for us.”

“He wouldn’t know what to make of me if I wasn’t snarking at him all the time.”

“That’s true,” Emmett said cheerfully. “Me either.”

“Can it, Honeycutt,” Melanie warned. Emmett merely smiled.



*****



Brian reached the bedroom doors. There was no sound from either room. He carefully opened the door to Gus’ room.

“Hi, Uncle Brian,” JR said. She was lying in the upper bunk bed reading a book.

“Hey, kid, where’s your brother?”

“I think he must have slept in Bree’s room. He never came in here last night.”

“Oh?” Brian replied with a frown. He turned to go check Bree’s room.

“Uncle Brian, can I talk to you?” JR asked, closing her book and setting it down beside her on the bed.

“Sure,” Brian replied. He closed the door behind him and joined JR as she climbed down from the upper bunk and sat on the lower one. “What do you want to talk about?” Brian asked with some trepidation. It must have shown on his face.

“It’s okay, Uncle Brian. It’s not about the birds and the bees.”

“Good.”

“It’s about the moms.”

“What about the moms?”

“I … I know they haven’t been getting along lately.”

“You do, huh?”

“I see a lot of stuff. More than Gus.”

“I bet you do.”

“Are they going to get a divorce?” JR asked with a worried look on her face.

“No one can answer that, but I’m hoping they can work things out.”

“Me too,” JR sighed. “Do you think the weekend at the Plaza will help?”

“I’m hoping it will.”

“Thank you for giving them that,” JR said wrapping her arms around her uncle’s neck and kissing his cheek.

“You’re welcome. I just hope it does the trick.”

“Me too.”

“Are you okay?”

“I … I start high school on Tuesday. It’s kind of scary,” JR admitted.

“You’ll do great. You’re very smart,” Brian told the girl.

"You think I’m smart?”

“I know you are.”

JR’s smile was radiant. “I think I am too … sometimes.”

“And you’d be right,” Brian chuckled. “Get some clothes on because breakfast will be ready soon.”

“Okay, and thanks, Uncle Brian.”

Brian smiled at JR and went out the door. He walked across the hall and pushed open the door to Bree’s room. He drew in a breath at the sight before him. Gus was stretched out on Bree’s bed, the book he’d been reading to her lay beside him. Bree had crawled over against her brother and her head lay on the same pillow as Gus’. Brian noted that Gus’ hand held Bree’s little one. He just stared.

“Bri,” Justin’s voice said behind him.

“Sh,” Brian replied placing a finger to his lips. “Look at this.”

Justin looked into the room, a happy smile curling the edges of his mouth. “They look like angels.”

“They are angels.”

“Hey,” Gus said sleepily as his eyes finally opened. “What time is it?”

“Time for breakfast,” Brian said with a smile. “You spent the night with your sister?”

“I guess I fell asleep.”

“I love you, Gus,” a little voice said, as Bree entwined herself around her brother.

“Love you back, short stuff.”

“Time to get up, you two,” Brian said gently. “Auntie Emm and the moms are cooking breakfast.”

“We’ll be out in a minute, won’t we, Bree?” Gus said.

“Yeah.”

“Give us a minute, Pop, Justin.”

“You got it,” Justin replied. He took Brian’s hand and led him down the hall.

“You okay today, Bree?” Gus asked.

“I guess so. Thank you for staying with me.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too. Are you sure you have to go away to school?”

“I’m sure, but you can call me, and I’ll be home lots of weekends.”

“Will you come visit me?”

“You can count on it,” Gus said hugging her. “Now, let’s go see what’s for breakfast.”

“’Kay,” Bree agreed.

Brian and Justin found the kitchen full of people and everything set up for breakfast in the sun porch. It would be another happy and companionable morning at Edna’s Treasures.

As Brian and Lindsay were cleaning up the kitchen, Bree and JR went out to the Wendy house to play. Gus took his laptop to Brian’s office so he could work on a project for PIFA. Bobby, John and Patrick convinced the rest of the family to play softball out in the meadow.

“You girls leaving soon?” Brian asked as he was drying glasses.

“You kicking us out?” Lindsay countered.

“Not at all. I thought you might be on a schedule.”

“No, no schedule. Just thought you were in a hurry to get back your quiet cottage.”

“Sometimes it can be too quiet. But what I really want is to give Bree and Gus more time together and more time with JR.”

“It’s funny how Bree and JR get along. There’s quite an age difference.”

“Age isn’t everything or so I’ve been told. More coffee?” Brian offered as they were just about finished with the washing up.

“Yes, please. JR likes that she can have a grownup conversation with Bree while they play with dolls.” Lindsay and Brian chuckled. “JR is at that age where she’s still too young to be considered a woman and too old to be a girl.”

“Then I say she and Bree are evenly matched. Bree may be six but she’s going on thirty. Let’s take these out to the porch,” Brian said as he raised his mug.

“Brian, I wanted to thank you for the use of your suite,” Lindsay began as she settled onto one of the chaises.

“Don’t thank me yet; we don’t know if it’ll help.”

“The trip to Florida helped. I think we just need to get refocused.”

“Lindz, don’t miss that appointment with the counselor. Gus needs to know you’re stable.”

“I know, and Mel and I are committed to doing everything we can to work things out.”

“That’s good to hear,” Brian said softly. They sat quietly sipping their coffee.

“Bri, Justin’s popularity is growing.”

“I know. Sidney mentioned something along those lines when Justin was planting his henge.”

“We’ve gotten requests from a couple of galleries in London. They want his ‘Seasons’ show and some of the ‘Old Masters’ as well.”

“All hail the conquering hero.” Brian sighed loudly.

“Sidney will be taking Justin’s portfolio to London just after the opening of the Emerging Artists show.”

“Peachy. Should I be booking a round trip ticket to London in the name of Sunshine?”

“No. But if we do this right, you might be able to book a family trip to London during the Winter break.”

“Really?” Brian perked up.

“I think so. Sidney doesn’t want to flood the market with Justin’s work even though he’s been very prolific lately. But he does want to keep Justin in the public eye. However, the London galleries will want to meet Justin and his family.”

“Lindz, we won’t hide what we are,” Brian growled.

“Relax, Brian, you won’t have to,” Lindsay reassured him. “Do you think there are any more popovers?” Lindsay asked after a while.

“I think I might be able to oblige,” Brian said as he held out his hand. Lindsay took it and they walked together toward the kitchen.



*****



As their game was winding down, Drew pitched a curve ball to Bobby. Bobby caught the ball just right with his bat, and it flew toward the trees effectively ending the game. Patrick and John cheered loudly as Bobby loped around the bases. Their team had won the game.

“I thought he was just a pitcher,” Drew complained good-naturedly as Bobby rounded third base. “Next time we play football! I don’t know how you can throw such a tiny ball.”

Bobby laughed as he crossed home plate.

“What’s all the shouting about?” Brian asked as he and Lindsay came out to the field. Brian was bouncing a soccer ball.

“Our team just won the game,” Melanie crowed proudly.

“Baseball, football, sissy games,” Brian grumbled with a twinkle in his eye.

He bounced the soccer ball off the ground then off his ankles then onto one knee then took off chasing and kicking it around his family. He was a one man team, weaving in and out and around the amazed players on the field. Patrick was laughing as his Dad began chasing his uncle trying to take the ball. Finally John took a flying tackle, pinning Brian to the ground.

“Hey, big bro! There is no tackling in soccer!” Brian shouted as he was trying to catch his breath.

“Not bad, John,” Drew complimented. “You could have made a pretty good running back.”

“Yeah, for a cowboy,” Brian managed to say before he found himself being tickled to death.

“Say ‘my big bro’s the man!’” John commanded as he found every tickle spot known on Brian. Brian tried to hold out but couldn’t. He began to laugh uncontrollably.

“My big bro’s the man!” Brian shouted.

Satisfied, John stopped his assault then flopped back onto the ground.

“I’ll save you, Uncle Bri,” Patrick declared as he pounced on his father. Patrick started to tickle his dad while Brian laughed.

“You go, little Red! You’re the man!” Brian laughed.

“I’ll get you, Kinney,” John growled even as Bobby joined in on the tickle assault.

As the Anderson-Morrison family was roughhousing, Justin extended his hand for Brian. Taking it, Brian stood up, brushing the grass and twigs from his clothes. Hand in hand, he, Justin and the family slowly meandered back toward the conjoined cottages.

“Hey, I didn’t see you playing,” Brian said to Emmett.

“Of course not. I’m a cheerleader,” Emmett declared, shaking imaginary pompoms in the air.

“Well, right now you’re the chef. Let’s see if we can rustle up some lunch for these people,” Brian strongly suggested.

“Your wish is my command, sire,” Emmett crowed.

“I’ll help,” Justin said.

“Thank you, sweetie.”

“We’ll help too,” the girls said.

“Oooo, I feel like we’re living in a commune! All for one, one for all. Hmm, sounds more like an orgy,” Emmett said with a wide toothy grin. Emmett’s helpers followed the party planner towards the kitchen like he was a pied piper.

“Bri, while Martha rallies the kitchen detail, can I talk to you about Brandon’s proposal?” Teddy ventured.

“You had to ruin my good mood, didn’t you?”

“That wasn’t my intention.”

“Well, you’ve succeeded anyway.”

“Brian, the sooner you look over his ideas and approve them, the sooner we implement them and then Brandon goes away.”

“Are you sure of that?”

“That was the deal.”

“What about our other branches?”

“It’ll be easy to bring them online.”

“And the security?”

“The best out there. Bri, it makes sense to use one firm to handle Kinnetik and the other branches. And if we expand, the system expands with us.”

“Come up to the office and show me. But I’m warning you, Theodore, if I have to look at his skinny toupeed ass one more time, I’m firing you!”

“Got it, boss! No toupeed ass,” Ted said with a straight face and holding his hand over his heart.

Brian couldn’t help laughing.



*****



“JR! Bree! Lunch!” Mel called out toward the Wendy house. Mel could hear the cheers of delight. In a few minutes the girls came running in. “Did you girls have fun?”

“Yes, Mama!”

“Oh yes, Auntie Mel. I love playing with JR,” Bree gushed.

“Well, I have a little surprise for you. Your fathers have asked us to stay one more night so you can visit longer with Gus and JR.”

“YAY!” Bree, JR and Gus cheered.

The kids helped to set the table as the adults brought in lunch.



*****



The rest of the afternoon was spent quietly. The kids went back outside to enjoy the last weekend of Summer. Emmett, Drew, Ted and Allen went back down the lane until it was time for dinner. Brian decided he had at least one more ‘grilling’ in him, so he went to marinate some steak for later that evening. Justin decided he had to put to canvas the vision of Gus and Bree asleep, as soon as possible.

Justin unhooked one of his easels and carefully lowered it to the sun porch floor. He secured a prepared canvas board to it and began to quickly sketch out his painting.

“How do you do that so fast?” Lindsay asked softly. She had never really seen Justin at work.

“I’m not sure,” he replied as his hand furiously sped across the board. “It’s like the idea is in my head and I can’t stop my hand until it’s on the canvas or the sketchpad.”

“Maybe that’s why you’re so good and I’m just a wannabe. I always over-analyze. If it wasn’t perfect, I couldn’t complete the picture.”

“But life isn’t perfect and my stuff isn’t always perfect either.”

“Oh?”

“Did I ever tell you about when my grape hyacinth wore a hat?” Justin giggled as he took out his palette and paints.



*****



“Hi. Yeah, I got home Friday night. I’m fine, how are you? I miss you. Do you think we can convince the ‘rents to have you come here for my birthday party? I really, really want to see you. Yeah, me too. I’ll call you tonight. Later, Ray.”




Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 4





Lindsay and Brian walked down the lane towards Molly’s cottage.

“It’s such a beautiful day,” Lindsay said. “I see why you love it out here so much.”

“Yeah, it’s great until it’s forty below and a blizzard’s raging.”

“That was some storm that winter.”

“Yeah,” Brian replied with a thoughtful look on his face. “I think I could live quite happily without a repeat though.”

“It was an adventure,” Lindsay said with a big grin.

“I think I’m getting too old for adventures.”

“You! Never!”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have to remind you that we both have a son starting university.”

“Yeah, that is a little hard to digest,” Lindsay admitted. “We do have great kids though.”

“We do, and Molly has another great little guy.”

That’s where they were off to, to visit Taylor and his parents, in that order.

“Brian, do you ever wonder…” Lindsay stopped not sure whether to complete that sentence or not. She halted walking too.

“Wonder what?” Brian asked with a frown as he stopped too.

“Wonder what we would have made if we had had another baby,” Lindsay said with a wistful look on her face.

“No, I don’t. I don’t want any more kids.”

“Why not? You’re a great father.”

Brian smiled. It was always great to hear that, so different than the way he felt about his own father. And so different than the way he had expected to be as a father. “Bree has been pestering us about having a little sister.”

“Sister?”

“Yes, specifically a sister. Taylor was supposed to be a girl in her view of the world. She doesn’t think there’s enough people of the female persuasion around here.”

“Oh, I see,” Lindsay smiled. “There’s always Emmett,” she laughed. Then her face sobered. “So, are you going to give her that little sister?”

“Definitely not. Bree’s plenty to handle without another one.”

“I wonder what our little girl would have been like.”

“She would have been beautiful like you.”

Lindsay reached up and hugged Brian hard. “Thank you for saying that. I always thought maybe…”

“If you’d had another baby, you wouldn’t have JR. That would have been a huge loss.”

Lindsay leaned back and looked into Brian’s eyes. Her own filled with tears at Brian’s comment. She could see that he meant it. “You are the sweetest man.”

“Sh, or I’ll have to kill you,” Brian said softly brushing a stray strand of hair from Lindsay’s face. “Enough! We’re getting maudlin. Let’s go see that little Taylor guy.”

“Okay,” Lindsay said as they started walking again. She slid her hand into Brian’s.



*****



Melanie poured herself a cup of coffee and took a sip. She knew Brian and Lindsay had gone down the lane to see Taylor. The kids were outside playing. She probably should have gone with Lindsay, but she didn’t feel like it. A baby wasn’t what she wanted right now. Trouble was, she didn’t know what it was that she wanted.

With a sigh she wandered out to the sun porch where Justin was painting.

“Mind if I take a look?” she asked.

“No, help yourself.”

“Wow, you’ve got a lot done.”

“When I’m inspired, it doesn’t take me long to do a painting.”

“That’s going to be a great rendering of Gus and Bree.”

“You could tell who they were,” Justin laughed. The canvas held little more than his rough sketch.

“Why do you paint the same people so often? Doesn’t it get boring?” she asked thoughtfully.

“It’s never boring with Brian and Bree and the rest of our family. I always see something new, something that inspires me.”

“I wish I could say the same,” Melanie sighed.

“People are constantly changing and redefining who they are,” Justin explained wondering what had brought on this melancholy side of Melanie.

“Some do,” Melanie replied enigmatically.

Justin looked at the woman in front of him. She didn’t seem to be very happy. “I was talking to Lindsay earlier … about painting.”

“You were?’

“Yeah, I think she’d like to paint more.”

“I used to think so too. We renovated the attic so she could have a studio space, but she hardly ever uses it.”

“Do you know what she told me?”

“What?”

“She said she doesn’t paint because she knows it won’t be good enough. It won’t be perfect in her estimation.”

“But why does it have to be perfect?” Melanie asked, clearly not understanding where Lindsay was coming from.

“That’s what I asked her. I don’t think my work is perfect either. I just want to get an idea or a feeling or a moment in time captured on canvas.”

“What did she say to that?”

“Nothing really, just that she couldn’t complete a picture if it wasn’t perfect.”

“I wonder if…”

“Wonder if…what?”

“I wonder if she got back to her own art, if she would be happier.”

“That’s a thought,” Justin said with a smile. “Maybe you could help her see that.”

“Yeah, maybe. Thanks, Justin.”

“For what?”

“For being an artist, and making me see that there’s more than just what’s on the surface.”

“I did that?” Justin chuckled, hoping that was exactly what he had done.

“I need to do some thinking.”

“Then you know where to go.”

“Yeah, the stream.”

Justin watched Melanie walk out the sun porch door, and then he got back to work.



*****



Melanie sat on the big rock and watched the water as it rippled by. It was so peaceful and beautiful. A tree shaded the big rock in the afternoon, so it was cool sitting there. A gentle breeze ruffled her hair and she heaved a sigh.

She had been thinking about her relationship with Lindsay and what Justin had told her. Lindsay never seemed to be satisfied with their life together. Maybe it wasn’t perfect like Lindsay wanted her paintings to be. There was always someone else, Sam Auerbach, Jamie Cunningham, Brian Kinney. Melanie smiled … always Brian. But she knew deep down inside that Brian was no threat to their relationship. The biggest threat seemed to be each other.

Neither of them seemed to be fulfilled in their lives, and therefore, they were constantly looking for something or someone else. Maybe each of them should concentrate more on trying to be happy within themselves, instead of trying to find happiness in the other person. If Lindsay had her art to fulfill some part of herself that was missing, maybe she would be more content with their marriage.

Was that also true of herself, she wondered. Was she fulfilled? Was there something she wanted to do, besides work, that she had never done? She knew there was. She had always wanted to write, but there had never been time. There was family and law and so many other responsibilities. She had never really tried to write. It was only a nebulous idea in the back of her head. She wondered if she even could write. She wouldn’t want to find out that her writing was bad, not perfect. Maybe that was what was holding her back. She didn’t write because it wouldn’t be good enough … just like Lindsay didn’t paint. That thought hit her like a ton of bricks.

“Oops, sorry to interrupt. I didn’t know anyone was down here,” John said backing out of the clearing.

“It’s okay,” Melanie said with a smile. “I’m almost done examining my life.”

“Wouldn’t want to interrupt that,” John grinned.

“Come join me,” Melanie said patting the big rock beside her.

John took that as a signal that she wanted to talk. He walked over and sat down beside her. “So, have you got it all figured out?” he asked.

“Hardly,” Melanie laughed.

“It’s hard work examining a life.”

“Yeah, do you examine yours?”

“Constantly.”

“And what do you find?”

“That there’s always ways to improve myself and my relations with the people who are important to me.”

“You really do that?” Melanie asked staring at John.

“I do. I had to change my whole life when I met Bobby and realized what my life was supposed to be.”

“And the change was worth it?’

“Absolutely. Ever since that revelation that I was gay and that being with Bobby would make my life complete, I’ve taught myself to examine myself, my feelings, my goals. It helps me to know where I’m going in my life.”

“Hm.”

“Was it that profound?” John asked with a chuckle.

“Very,” Melanie said sincerely. “I think maybe that should be something I do more often.”

“It never hurts,” John said. “And this is the perfect spot for it.”

“Yes, it is.”

“I’ll leave you to it,” John said as he stood and started out of the clearing. He glanced back at Melanie who seemed lost in thought. “Good luck,” he whispered before he disappeared up the path.



*****



“Helllooo!” Emmett called out. This time Emmett and the boys came through Brian and Justin’s front door so that they could be closer to the kitchen. Drew, Ted and Allen placed their contributions to dinner on the kitchen counter.

“Hi, Auntie Emm,” JR said from the living room. The wonderfully soft and thick sofa was a perfect place to read.

“Hi, Sweetie, where are your moms and his majesty?”

“I have no idea where the moms are, but Uncle Bri is cooking up a storm at the grill. He gave me a message to give to you.”

“Oh? What?”

“A-hem,” JR cleared her throat. “And I quote, tell that nelly bottom queen to get his ass out here, unquote.”

“Well, I have no idea to whom he’s referring.” All eyes turned to Emmett. “However, I did promise to assist him with dinner so I should get out there.”

“A wise decision, Emm,” Ted said. Drew and Allen smiled but said nothing.

“Then I better get to it,” Emmett said as he sashayed himself out toward the porch. JR and the boys watched with fascination then began to snicker.

“I love this family,” JR said as she sank herself back into the sofa to continue reading. The guys put away anything perishable, helped themselves to beer and soda then went to find the rest of the family.

“Have no fear, Auntie Emm is here,” Emmett announced loudly as he joined Brian at the grill.

“About time you showed up. The chicken will be done in about thirty minutes,” Brian grumbled.

“Plenty of time, oh master of the barbecue. I brought the salad and the sauteed green beans. Shall we eat out here?” Emmett asked as he looked around the garden. There were many colorful late blooming flowers proudly on display.

“No, it’s starting to get dark. I think the sun porch will be better.”

“Okay, then I’ll rally the troops. The table will be ready for your chicken.” Emmett smiled brightly at Brian then turned to go back inside. Brian reached out to touch Emmett’s arm.

“Emm...”

“I know Brian,” Emmett said softly, reading his friend’s thoughts. “Me too.” Brian nodded then shooed his friend inside.



*****



“So this Brandon guy still has the hots for Brian?” Allen casually asked Ted as he passed around the huge bowl of salad. Justin bristled slightly at the comment.

“Apparently, he thinks of Brian as unfinished business,” Ted supplied. Brian shot a death glare in Teddy’s direction. Ted held up his hands in surrender.

“Brandon? The fuu...the bet, Brandon?” Melanie asked, catching herself before she elaborated too much in front of tiny and innocent ears.

“The very same,” Ted confirmed.

“What is this bet?” Allen asked innocently.

“Well, a long time ago in the land of Gayopolis,” Emmett began the story of the bet much to Brian’s horror. “There was our handsome and dashing king. He truly was the king of all he could survey until one day a young...”

“Not so young,” Brian interjected.

“One not so young prince...”

“Interloper,” Brian growled.

“Who’s telling this story anyway?” Emmett griped.

“Well, get on with it,” Brian demanded.

“One day the not so young prince entered the kingdom of Babylon demanding certain rights and privileges that our king was not prepared to bestow. To earn these rights, a test was devised. To whomever completed the test first went the spoils of war.”

“Who was the victor?” Allen inquired.

“Our supreme highness, lord and master, of course,” Emmett boasted.

“As if there was any doubt,” Brian mumbled around a cucumber slice.

“However, I just recently found out that his highness never went through with the final victory rite,” Emmett said with awe.

“Wait a minute!” Melanie said sternly, slamming her cutlery to the table. “Are you telling me Bri..., um the king won the bet but didn’t fuuu, um, didn’t uh, didn’t have his way with Bran...um, the prince?”

“That’s exactly what I mean,” Emmett confirmed.

“Why?” Mel asked as she looked toward Brian. The whole family stared at Brian, awaiting his answer.

Brian had no words to explain how he felt that night. Brandon lying naked on his bed, waiting to be fucked by the undisputed King of Liberty.

The family continued to wait for his answer.

Brian took Justin’s hand in his, bringing Justin’s palm to his lips. Brian reverently kissed his husband’s palm then leaned over to kiss Justin’s temple.

“This is why,” Brian said softly as he held Justin’s hand then kissed it again. Justin gently dislodged his hand from Brian’s so he could caress Brian’s cheek. Hazel eyes met blue and for the moment, nothing in the world existed except for Brian and Justin.

“Dada, where’s Gayopolis?”

The family broke out into giggles as Brian and Justin shrugged and smiled broadly at each other.



*****



After dinner Brian and Ted went up to Brian’s office to discuss the Lethal bike research results and to go over Brandon’s proposal. Melanie stomped up the spiral staircase to inform them that dessert was on the table and the coffee was ready. Brian emailed a few documents to Ted at Kinnetik then shut down his computer.

“Spill, Kinney,” Mel whispered, blocking Brian’s way out of the office.

“Regarding?”

“You know what I want to know. Why didn’t you fuck Brandon?” Mel leaned closer to ask.

Brian thought about avoiding the question or merely walking away but he turned to face the petite lawyer.

“I couldn’t. I looked at him sprawled across my bed and couldn’t. The tricks didn’t mean anything but he was different. I looked at him and saw myself and I didn’t like what I saw. End of story.”

“And now he’s back?” Mel asked.

“Yes. Ostensibly to sell Kinnetik a new computer security system,” Ted explained.

“And the unfinished business?”

“He wants me to fuck him,” Brian answered.

“And will you?”

“No,” Brian said firmly then descended the stairs. Melanie and Ted watched him go.

“He really means that,” Mel said with awe.

“Yes, he does. Melanie, Brian takes his vows seriously. They don’t trick.”

“Amazing,” Mel said as she looked over the balcony rail at the porch below. The family was gathering at the table for dessert.

“Hey!” Brian shouted up. “Coffee’s getting cold.”

“Coming!” Ted and Mel shouted as they came down the stairs.



*****



“Gus, can you read me a story?” Bree asked her brother. He was sitting on a chaise, his laptop on his thighs. Bree was in her pajamas, grey bunny in her arms and a book in her hand. Her violet blues eyes were opened wide as she made her plea.

“Sure, short stuff. Climb up," Gus said as he put the laptop on the table nearby. Bree crawled up into his lap and settled her head on his chest.

“What book tonight?” Bree handed Gus a book. “Berenstain Bears, huh. One of my all time favorites,” Gus said as he opened the book and started to read.

“Want me to take her?” Brian said about an hour later. Bree had fallen asleep ten minutes into the story. Gus didn’t have the heart to move her.

“I’ll do it, Pop,” Gus whispered. He slowly stood, carefully lifting his sister with him. “I’ll tuck her in.”

“Okay, Sonny Boy, then I’ll say good night and see you in the morning. The moms have decided to bring you back to Penn from here.”

“I know, Pop. I had a great weekend. Thank you for letting us all stay.”

“No need to thank me, Sonny Boy. I did it for purely selfish reasons.” Brian kissed Bree’s cheek then bussed Gus’ temple. He turned off the main light, leaving on the small night light so that the girls could see. He retired to his room.



*****



“Bri, that bet,” Justin began as they were getting ready for bed.

“What about it?”

“Why?”

“Because I was shallow and insecure. I was angry that he had the nerve to turn me down and then when I won, I knew I didn’t want him. And now I never want to talk about that fucking bet ever again. It meant nothing. Brandon means nothing.”

“Are you sure?”

“Justin, what's with the jealous wife act?”

“I’m not your wife.”

“And you have no reason to be jealous. Brandon’s company made a reasonable proposal. Both Ted and Cynthia find it sound and, unfortunately, so do I. Ted and Cynthia will be handling the details. They only need me to sign off on it.”

“You’re sure.”

“Very. You have nothing to worry about,” Brian guaranteed as he slipped in between the sheets.

“So you’re not going to suddenly decide to run off to Ibiza with him to play with his toupee?” Justin asked as he fished out a tube of lube from the nightstand wearing a very determined expression.

“No,” Brian answered as he rolled over. He knew what that look meant.

“Good,” Justin said as he popped open the top of the tube.




Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 5





“Listen,” Brian whispered as Justin opened his eyes.

“What?”

“Silence.”

“Huh?”

“No Emmett, no Munchers, no Bree … silence.”

“Do you think something’s wrong?” Justin asked sitting up as the silence swept over him. With a house full of guests, plus Princess Bree, silence was certainly not the norm.

“Oh, shit, I didn’t think about that,” Brian said sitting up in bed too. He threw back the sheet.

“Wait!” Justin ordered laying his hand on Brian’s arm. “If something was wrong, somebody would have come to get us.”

“True,” Brian said relaxing. “We should probably get up though. Gus and his mothers want to set off for Penn before noon.”

“Yeah, I’m going to miss him.”

“Me too, and Bree will miss him beyond measure.”

“I wonder if she’ll throw another fit when Gus leaves.”

“She is your daughter.”

“And what’s that supposed to mean?” Justin asked narrowing his eyes.

“Your queenouts are legendary,” Brian smirked.

“Mine! What about yours?”

“We’re discussing your daughter.”

“Why is she my daughter whenever it’s convenient for you to say she is?”

“Because she’s so much like you,” Brian said decisively.

“Other than my coloring … and size, she’s your daughter through and through.”

“Yeah, she is, isn’t she,” Brian chuckled.

“You are the most annoying person I know, Brian Kinney.”

“And you love me anyway.”

“Got that right,” Justin laughed as he shoved Brian back down on the bed and kissed him thoroughly.



*****



Melanie stretched luxuriously and opened her eyes. Morning sunlight flooded the sun porch. She drew in a deep breath enjoying the country air and the feeling of peace.

“Morning,” Lindsay said from beside her.

“Morning,” Melanie said leaning over and kissing Lindsay’s cheek.

“What was that for?”

“I felt like it.”

“You sound like you’re in a good mood this morning,” Lindsay replied with a smile. She had her own luxurious stretch at that moment.

“I am. I really enjoyed this weekend out here. It’s a wonderful place.”

“God, I never thought I’d hear you say that about Brian’s home.”

“Miracles happen,” Melanie said seriously.

“Do they?” Lindsay asked turning to look into Melanie’s eyes. Suddenly they both knew they weren’t talking about Edna’s Treasures any longer.

Melanie nodded. “I’m hoping for one for us.”

Lindsay smiled. “I like the sound of that.”

“Good, I’m glad. I’ve done some serious thinking this weekend.”

“So have I.”

“We should talk.”

“Yeah.”

They stared into each other’s eyes.

“Mom, Mama, are you guys getting up? I’m hungry,” JR said as she came into the sun porch in her pj’s.

Mel and Lindsay looked at each other and chuckled.

“Maybe we can talk when we’re at the Plaza,” Lindsay suggested.

“Yeah, let’s make that a priority,” Mel replied. “We’re awake, JR, just hatching,” Melanie called to her daughter. “Is Gus up yet?”

“Yeah, he’s packing up his stuff.”

“That’s good. We’ll be up in a few minutes.”

“Okay.”



*****



Jenny Rebecca pumped hard with her legs. The swing rose into the air and the cool morning breeze rushed past her. She giggled as she felt the rush she always got from going as high as the length of rope and the branches of the tree would let her.

“Wow,” a voice said from below her.

JR stopped pumping with her legs and looked down to see John Anderson standing off to the side watching her. She smiled at him as the trajectory of the swing grew less and less without her assistance. He came into view as she swung by, and then disappeared as she rose past him.

“I didn’t mean for you to stop,” John called to her, as the swing moved gently back and forth. “You were almost at the max.”

“I know,” JR grinned. “I love to see how high I can go.”

“You have a competitive spirit,” John observed.

JR frowned and thought about that. “I guess I do.”

“So you’ll be starting high school tomorrow.”

“Yeah.”

“Scared?”

JR frowned again. “No, I wouldn’t say I was scared, but I wonder what it will be like.”

“School these days is a bit of an enigma,” John told her.

“Enigma is a good way of describing it,” JR replied. “It’s supposed to be this great time of your life, but it’s really about survival.”

“I see we have a bit of a cynic in you.”

“Sometimes,” JR replied.

John stared at the little girl who was growing up so fast. She was very smart. He wondered if she was happy. She didn’t smile a lot, except when he saw her on the swing. “I hope you get to enjoy high school.”

“Me too.”

“Do you mind all the fuss about Gus going to college?”

JR looked thoughtful. “A little bit … sometimes.”

“High school’s a big deal too.”

“Yeah.”

“If you ever need any help, or someone to talk to, you know where I am.”

“Thanks,” JR replied with a big smile. She always liked talking to Uncle John.

“I think breakfast is in the making when you’re ready to come in.”

“I want to swing really high one more time,” JR said.

“Want a push?”

“Sure.”

John moved around behind the swing and gave JR a big push. She soared up right away. He pushed her again on the down sweep. It didn’t take long until she was swinging high into the air.

“I think you can take it from here,” John said moving aside.

“Thanks, Uncle John. I can.”

John smiled as he watched JR pump her legs getting every last bit of height that she could. She was some girl, he thought as he headed towards the house.

JR saw John go into the sun porch. She really liked him. He was always so kind to her and so nice. She knew she could always talk to him if she needed to, but it was nice to hear him say it too.

Then a frown crossed her face. He hadn’t called her ‘little missy’. She wondered why. Was she too grown up for that now? She always liked it when John called her that. She knew she was growing up, but she didn’t want to leave all the good things behind, like ‘little missy’ and the swing and playing with Bree.

JR heaved a sigh as she let the swing slow down. Everything was changing. She could only hope it would be for the better.



*****



“Gus, breakfast is almost ready,” JR informed her brother. He had just about finished packing to go back to Penn. JR’s overnight bag was sitting by the bedroom door.

“Thanks, I’m hungry.”

“You’re always hungry. Are you sure you’re Uncle Brian’s son and not Uncle Justin’s?” JR and Gus laughed.

“Nah, I’m pretty sure I’m my Pop’s son. Look at me!”

“Yeah,” JR agreed. “Gus, are you going to miss me?”

“That’s a stupid question; of course I’m going to miss you.”

“I just thought...”

“What?” Gus stopped what he was doing to give his sister his full attention.

“Sometimes I think you love Bree more than me,” JR whispered, she had tears in her eyes.

“But why?”

“Because she’s your real sister.”

“JR, what makes her more real than you? Besides, I’ve known you longer and you put up with my shit more than Bree does. She’s just younger. JR, I love both of you and I’m going to miss both of you and it’s not like I’m going half way around the world! Sheesh, women!” Gus griped.

“Really?” JR asked as she threw herself into her brother’s arms.

“Really,” Gus said as he hugged her. “I love you, JR, and I love Bree too. I think there’s more drama with Bree ‘cause we don’t see each other every day.”

“I guess so,” JR murmured into her brother’s chest. After a few minutes Gus pushed JR back. “Is there something else?”

“Um, I start high school tomorrow,” JR said meekly.

“Shit! High school, that’s big time. You scared?”

“Were you?”

“Shitless.”

“I never knew.”

“You were just a little kid and I was always tall for my age so, I guess you never figured it out.”

“Is it hard?”

“Sometimes, but you’re real smart. You’re going to breeze through it.”

“You think so?”

“I know so.”

“Can I call you if I have a question or something?”

“Sure. Anytime.” Brother and sister shared another hug.

“Gus, JR, breakfast,” they heard their mother call through the door.

“Coming!”



*****



“Helllooo!” Emmett called out from the front door. The guys had come up the lane to wish Gus well and to say goodbye to the girls. Emmett had goodie bags made up for everyone.

“What is all this?” Brian complained as he scanned the various parcels.

“This one is for Gus. Just some healthy snacks he can keep in his room for when he gets a little hungry due to all of that studying he’s planning on doing,” Emmett said giving the college lad a pointed look.

“Thank you, Auntie Emm,” Gus said sincerely.

“Come here,” Emmett said as he hugged the boy. “You behave at college and make us all proud.”

“I will,” Gus replied.

“Now, this basket is for you,” Emmett said as he wiped an errant tear from his eye then gave a huge basket of muffins and popovers to the girls for them to take home.

“And share with JR,” Emmett said wagging his finger at Lindsay and Mel. JR wore a wide grin.

“We will!” the girls said together.

“And you leave the arrangements for next weekend all to me,” Emmett said confidentially.

“Thank you,” they said as they each kissed a cheek.

“Oh pshaw. As for you,” Emm said addressing JR, “try to keep your mothers out of trouble.”

“I’ll try, Auntie Emm,” JR said as she found herself enveloped into Emmett’s arms.

“Good girl.”

“Hey, what am I, chopped liver? Don’t I get any popovers?” Brian growled.

Drew handed Brian a huge box. In it were several packages all labeled for the Anderson-Morrison side and the Kinney-Taylor side of Edna’s Treasures. Brian looked in the box and rummaged about. Satisfied with what he saw, he smiled then passed the box to John who also had a look-see.

“GUUUUSSSSS!”

“Hey, short stuff, remember what I told you,” Gus reminded Bree as he picked her up and hugged her close.

“I can call you at night if I want to and you’ll be back for your birthday party.”

“And...”

“And I should call JR too because she’s our sister too.”

“Right.” Gus and Bree turned to JR who was shocked but please to be included. She smiled brightly then moved toward them when Gus held out his free arm. The siblings hugged closely.

The moms and the dads smiled on approvingly.

With the car packed, the Edna’s Treasures family waved goodbye to Gus, JR and the girls.

“Are you all right with Gus going, baby girl?” Justin asked his daughter.

“I’m okay, Daddy.”

“And is it okay that you’re not going with him?” Justin asked as the rest of the family held their breath waiting for Bree’s answer.

“It’s okay. But as soon as I finish the re-queer-mints for college, I’m going!” Bree declared decisively then grabbed Patrick’s hand to lead him out to the Wendy house to play. Patrick went quietly, not wanting to argue with his diminutive cousin.

“The princess has spoken,” Emmett said with a flourish, as they all watched the kids go. “Brian,” Emmett began seriously, “we closed up the cottage for now. All the lawn furniture has been put away and all unnecessary appliances have been unplugged. We may not be back until the holidays.”

“We know the drill. We’ll keep an eye on the place,” Brian said.

Then Beau added a “Woof!”

“Beau will keep an eye on the place too,” John added as he patted the big dog’s head.

“I know we can count on him,” Drew said. Ted, Allen, Drew and Emmett were all going back to Pittsburgh together. Molly, Owen and baby Taylor were leaving as well.

The boys all waved as the caravan of two cars drove slowly down the lane.

“This was a very nice weekend,” Bobby commented, snaking his arm around John’s waist as they turned to walk back into the cottage.

“I agree,” John said as he leaned down to give Bobby a kiss. “And I think the girls had a good time too. They seemed to have connected a bit more.”

The boys murmured their agreement.

“I’m just happy to have my nice quiet cottage back,” Brian groused although no one believed him. “Maybe things will get back to normal around here.”

“Maybe,” Justin mumbled as he patted his husband’s ass while they followed John and Bobby into the cottage. Brian nodded with understanding. He could expect another workout later that night. For now, Justin would be satisfied at his easel while Brian took care of some business up in his attic office.

Edna’s Treasures was once again at peace.



*****



“Another Summer here and gone,” John commented as he and Bobby prepared for bed. The rest of the evening remained quiet. The kids had taken early baths. Their school clothes were laid out for the next day, backpacks prepared and at the door.

“It amazes me how fast the kids seem to be growing up, but I don’t feel any older,” Bobby said. “I mean I know I’m older but...”

“That’s because you still look like a young man in his twenties,” John complimented his spouse, hugging the younger man close to him.

“And you are the sexiest man I have ever met,” Bobby said, looking up into those expressive hazel eyes that he loved so much. Bobby could feel himself grow hard. “I want you,” he whispered then reached up onto his toes to give John a kiss. They merged together, somehow finding the bed then making love until spent.

“I’ll never grow tired of this,” John said with a contented sigh as he rolled onto his back, feeling the familiar burn at his hole and loving it.

“Never?”

“Never.”

“Quite the opposite from your brother who appeared to be walking a little funny this morning,” Bobby said with a smirk.

“Yes, well, he never quite mastered the skill although he does pinch hit well from what I gather,” John said with mirth. “But we can’t fault him; he didn’t have as skillful an instructor as I did.”

“You think I’m skillful?”

“Bobby, love, if it wasn’t for your tenderness, patience and love, I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as I do.”

Bobby gave his husband a brilliant smile then snuggled close as the lovers fell into a deep and satisfying sleep.



*****



Brian and Justin shared a wonderfully warm and satisfying shower. As the warm water sluiced over their bodies, Justin went to his knees to suck Brian off, gently fingering Brian’s tight hole in preparation of things to come. Justin steadied his lover as Brian came then wrapped him up in his thick robe to lead Brian to their bed.

Shoving Brian back onto the mattress, Justin grabbed hold of Brian’s thighs, positioning him so that Justin had better access. Over the years they had learned how to compensate for their height difference, especially Brian’s long legs. Justin lubed himself up then firmly pushed his way in. Brian gasped as Justin’s dick hit its mark. Just then a myriad of emotions flooded Justin’s face and he became very still.

“Justin?” Brian questioned softly seeing the expressions on Justin’s face and reading them correctly.

“I’m sorry,” Justin breathed as he tried to withdraw. Brian tightened his grip, wrapping his legs around Justin’s waist.

“For what?”

“I’m hurting you.”

“No, you’re not but I think somehow I’ve hurt you.” Justin couldn’t think of how he was hurt. “Emotionally, hurt,” Brian continued.

Justin gave Brian a very confused look.

“All this talk about Brandon and even that little scene with Leda when she was here. I don’t blame you for staking your claim.”

“But that’s so...”

“Immature?” Justin nodded. “Maybe, or maybe it’s just a male thing. Someone’s trying to usurp your territory and you just have to piss all over it to reinforce the boundaries. Seems pretty normal to me.”

“You mean that?”

“Yes I do.”

“So you’re not angry.”

“No, but I will be if you don’t shut up and fuck me,” Brian growled. “Fuck me, Justin,” he commanded, feeling Justin’s dick grow harder inside him. “Fuck me!” Justin grabbed hold of Brian’s thighs and began to do as he was bid.

Before his brain cells were no longer able to function, Brian realized he had made the right call. His Sunshine was a very masterful top. Brian vowed to make sure Justin never forgot that. Brian gasped loudly as Justin hit home once again.




Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 6





“JR, are you ready for breakfast?” Melanie called up the stairs.

“Yes,” a sleepy voice answered.

“Then get down here. You don’t want to be late for the first day of school.”

“O-kay,” came the slow reply.

Melanie shook her head and walked out to the kitchen. “What the fuck’s the matter with that girl?”

“It’s the first day of high school,” Lindsay informed her.

“Oh, yeah. I guess she’s a little uptight.”

“Weren’t you?”

“No, not particularly,” Melanie replied.

“I was scared shitless.”

“I thought you would have been with your cheerleader friends who all stuck together,” Melanie informed her.

“I wasn’t a cheerleader,” Lindsay said adamantly.

“I was a loner,” Melanie stated.

“By choice?”

“Nobody’s a loner by choice, but I soon found I preferred it to the bullshit that went on in high school.”

“Maybe that’s what JR’s worried about, the bullshit she knows awaits her.”

“Hm,” Melanie said.



*****



JR heard her phone ring and reached into her backpack. The cell phone was a present from her father. She had received it at Molly’s housewarming. Her father had wanted her to have it for school, and they had cleared it with her moms. It had to be her dad calling. Only Gus had the number besides her father. She smiled.

“Hello,” she said after pushing the right buttons.

“Hey, honeybun! You ready for your first day of high school?” Michael’s cheerful voice came to her.

“I guess so,” she sighed.

“Don’t worry, JR, you’ll do fine.”

“I hope so.”

“I know so, and make sure you turn your phone off. You don’t want to get into trouble the first day if it rings during class.”

“Okay, daddy.”

“Love you.”

“I love you too, Dad.”

“Call me tonight and tell me how it went today.”

“Okay.”

JR cut the connection and turned the phone off. She heard her mother calling her for breakfast again as she dropped the phone in her bag and picked it up.



*****



“Dada, are you sure I can’t go to Penn with Gus?” Bree asked. She was strapped into the back seat of Justin’s SUV.

“Not today, Squirt,” Brian replied.

Bree let out a long suffering sigh. “Oooookaaaaaaaaaay!’ she whined.

“Bree, you are going into first grade,” Justin said to his daughter. “It’ll be a new adventure for you.”

“Yeah, first grade was pretty fun,” Patrick said with a big smile for the little girl. He reached across from where he sat in the back seat next to Bree. He no longer needed a booster seat, and he was quite proud of that fact. He took hold of Bree’s hand and gave it a squeeze. “You’ll like first grade,” he told her.

“’Kay,” Bree said with a wan smile for her cousin.



*****



Gus’ alarm rang and he reached over to turn it off. He gave it a smack to stop the annoying sound. That done, he rolled onto his back and looked up at the ceiling of his bedroom at Penn.

Today he started classes…at university. He wondered what they would be like. He had always found school easy. People told him he was smart, like his Pop. That made him smile. Gus knew that school hadn’t been much of a challenge up till now. He had handled it with a minimum of effort. Everybody had told him university would be much harder, and with a double major, Gus had to wonder just how much harder it might be. He also wondered if he was really ready for this. He had never been on his own before. He had always lived at home with his mothers, and he knew his Pop and Justin were just a phone call away. Now he was a long way from home with people he didn’t know, with a schedule that he had made up himself, and with responsibility for everything resting on his shoulders. He hoped he was up to the challenge.

He threw back the covers and grabbed his shower kit. He supposed it was time to find out.



*****



“Here we are, JR,” Melanie said as she stopped the car in front of the high school. “Do you want me to come in with you?”

“No, I’ll be fine, Mama.”

“Then have a good day.”

“I’ll try,” JR replied, but she made no move to open the car door.

“Is something wrong?” Melanie asked with a frown.

“Mama, could I have a hug?”

Melanie looked down into her lap and shook her head at her own stupidity.

“I’m sorry, Mama. I shouldn’t have asked,” JR said quickly, interpreting her mother’s action as Melanie not wanting to give her daughter the requested hug. JR reached for the door handle.

“No, wait,” Melanie said hurriedly. “Come over here.”

JR found herself engulfed in her mother’s arms.

“I should have done this without you having to ask,” Melanie whispered. “I love you, sweetheart.”

“Thanks, Mama,” JR replied holding on tight.

“You’ll do fine today. I know you will.”

“I’ll try,” JR whispered.

“That’s all we ask.”

A horn honking behind them told them it was time to vacate the space in front of the school.

“You’re sure you’ll be fine walking home?” Melanie asked as JR got out of the car.

“I’ll be okay. Thanks for the ride, Mama,” JR said. “I love you.”

Melanie smiled brightly before driving away. JR headed up the steps and into the whole new world of high school.



*****



Brian and Justin walked Bree to her classroom in the school. Mrs. Blackwood was the first grade teacher of the gifted class that Bree was in. She greeted them at the door.

“Welcome to first grade,” she said cheerfully.

Brian and Justin and Bree had been into the school for a brief visit a few days earlier, so Bree knew where her desk was. She walked confidently to the back of the room and hung up her backpack on her hook. She took out her pencil case and little folder. She walked to her seat and sat down with the other children who were already there. She said hello to many of the familiar faces around her.

“She’ll be fine,” Mrs. Blackwood said to Brian and Justin. They looked over at Bree who turned and smiled at them.

The two men waved and turned to walk down the hall.

“She’s all grown up,” Brian said softly.

Justin merely squeezed his hand.



*****



“Ashley!” Bree called out as her best friend entered the lunch room. Bree was hoping that Patrick was going to have the same lunch period but when Bree got to the cafeteria, his grade was not to be seen. Ashley had her lunch with her so she made a beeline for Bree’s table.

“How’s your first day?” Ashley asked.

“It’s okay. My class has the same kids as last year. How’s your day?”

“Fine,” the little girl said sadly.

“Why are you sad?” Bree asked her.

“Because I thought there’d be the same kids as last year, but I’m in a new class.”

“What kind of class?” Bree asked as she bit into her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

“I’m in a smarter class,” Ashley whispered.

“But isn’t that good?” Bree whispered back.

“It’s scary. I’m not that smart,” Ashley confided.

“But you’re real smart,” Bree said encouragingly.

“Not like you.”

“Maybe, but you’re smart in other ways.”

“You mean that?”

“Yep. You helped Patrick when he was scared to go horseback riding again. And me when I was scared of the horse. You’re very smart. You're going to be a doctor. Smart people become doctors.”

“But not like you.” Ashley sounded disappointed.

Bree thought about it for a while as she took another bite of her sandwich. She then took a good slurp from her juice box. “My daddies are real smart but different kinds of smart.”

“What do you mean?” Ashley had a tuna sandwich that she was eating in rows like an ear of corn.

“I once heard my Uncle Teddy say that my Dada is very, very smart in business but doesn’t know his ass from his elbow about romance.”

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know, but I know my Dada is very, very smart and so is my Daddy. He’s always giving us his PSA’s.”

“What are those?”

“Um, I think it’s when he tells me and Dada what to do. But he’s really smart too. Just a different smart. You’re a different smart than me.”

“Oh. OH! Is that good?” Ashley asked a little pensively.

“Oh, that’s very good!” Briana wiped her mouth then gave her best friend a big hug. The girls giggled then resumed eating their lunch.



*****



“Hi, Gus.” Gus was sitting on a bench under a tree reading a book. He had an hour before his next class. Tim also had time to kill before his next class.

“Hey, Tim.”

“Okay, what’s wrong?” Tim asked as he took out his laptop and began to do some research.

“Is it that obvious?” Gus said with a frown.

“Yes,” Tim said with a chuckle. Gus scowled. “It’s our first day; how bad can it be?”

Just then a group of very pretty young ladies walked by. “Hiii, Gusss!” they all sing-songed at once, batting their eyes and smiling.

“Hi,” Gus replied coolly. The girls giggled and kept on walking.

“Way to go, man!” Tim said, ready to high five his friend.

“Um, Tim, gay boy here,” Gus said as he pointed to himself. "I think they want to save me."

“Damn!” Tim cursed as he lowered his hand. “Wait!” The hand stood up again. “Can I have a try at them? They can save me all they want!” Tim was a very good looking boy in a long haired sheep dog sort of way. Gus grinned.

“Help yourself, my man!”

“All right!” Tim high fived Gus, shut down the laptop then scurried away to catch up with the ladies. As Gus returned to his book, his cell phone began to vibrate.

“Hey,” Gus said low and seductively into his phone. “Just sitting under a tree and reading. Yeah, it’s nice here too. Are you sure your dads will let you come to Pittsburgh for my birthday?”

Gus listened contentedly to the voice of his caller.

“Ray, I wish... I know, but I was young and too stupid to know any better. I just wish we didn’t waste all that time. But it was my fault. Okay, okay. It was Cole’s fault. Okay, I promise, no more talk about him. I just hope...yeah, me too.”

The boys talked softly, Gus under a tree in Pennsylvania, Ray under a tree in New York.

“I miss you too. Later.” Gus gathered up his books then went to his next class.



*****



“Hey, JR, how was the first day of high school?” Gus said into his phone.

“Not so bad.”

“That sounds promising.”

“I met a new girl who just moved here from Cincinnati. We ate lunch together and she’s in some of my classes.”

“That’s great. Are your other friends in any of your classes?”

“Some, but Annette and I really hit it off. She’s real nice.”

“Good going,” Gus chuckled. “New friends are always a bonus.”

“How about you?”

“Tim, one of the guys in my house, is an okay guy, but he’s so into girls. I don’t have all that much in common with him.”

“Maybe you’ll find a new friend too,” JR said hopefully.

“That would be nice.”

“Thanks for calling me,” JR said sweetly. “It’s nice to know you care, even when you have a whole new life for yourself so far away.”

Gus heard the wistful tone in his sister’s voice. “I’m not that far away, and of course I care.”

“Gus,” JR said, and he could hear the seriousness in her tone.

“What?”

“Do you think the moms are going to be okay?”

“Are they fighting again?” Gus asked as a feeling of dread swept over him.

“No, nothing like that,” JR said softly. “They’ve been really nice to each other, but I think everything hinges on their weekend at the Plaza.”

“Then let’s pray that it goes well.”

“I’ve been doing that everyday.”

“Good girl! I better go, and I hope your second day of high school is as good or better than your first.”

“I hope yours is better,” JR said before she cut the connection.



*****



“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said as Brian handed the phone over to Bree. “It’s your big brother.”

“Hi, Gus,” Bree responded, a big smile on her face.

“How was your first day of first grade?”

“Okay, I had lunch with Ashley and she’s in a smarter class than she was before and she was worried, so I told her she was very smart just in a different way than me, ‘cause remember when she helped Patrick get back on the horse and that showed how really smart she is.”

Gus laughed. “I remember that very well. She knew just what to say.”

“See, she’s smart.”

“I know she is, but what about your first day?”

“I have a new teacher, Mrs. Blackwood. She’s okay.”

“You miss your old teacher?” Gus asked knowingly.

“Yeah,” Bree sighed.

“I’m sure you’ll do some fun things with Mrs. Blackwood.”

“Maybe,” Bree conceded. “Did you have fun on your first day?”

“I wouldn’t exactly call it fun, but I learned I like philosophy.”

“What’s fill-aw-sophie?”

“It’s all about big ideas of what the world should be like and how to make it better by learning about the past,” Gus said trying to simplify his concept of philosophy for his sister.

“I could study that,” Bree said quickly, “if I came to Penn.”

“I think all the spaces are filled for this year,” Gus informed her, thinking that might be the easiest way to dissuade her from starting in about going to Penn.

“Oh,” Bree replied, and Gus could hear the sadness in her voice.

“I’ll be home for my birthday. Remember that, Bree.”

“’Kay, Gus,” Bree said cheering up at that prospect.

“I gotta go, short stuff. Be good.”

“You be good too,” Bree said before she handed the phone back to her father.



*****



“Hi, Bree, it’s JR.”

Bree smiled at the phone. She had wondered if JR would call like she promised. “Hi, JR. Gus called me. Did he call you?”

“Yep, I miss him.”

“Me too.”

“Was your first day at school all right?” JR asked.

“Yeah, it was okay. How was yours?”

“I made a new friend.”

“That’s good.”

“I think I’ll like high school okay.”

“I hope so.”

“I should go, Bree.”

“’Kay, but call me again if you want to.”

JR smiled. “I will.”

Bree handed the phone to her Daddy and ran off to her room. “She’s such a little … person,” Justin said with a catch in his voice.

“And tomorrow she’ll want her own cell phone,” Brian replied.

“Bite your tongue!”

“Why don’t you do that for me?”

Justin proceeded to try to devour Brian’s tongue.


Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 7





The following day Brian and Justin drove the kids to school and then drove to Pittsburgh. Expecting a long day, Aunt Rachel was asked to pick up the kids and keep them until John or Bobby came home.

Brian was not in the best of moods. He had put off this final meeting with Brandon too many times. Brian had never used avoidance in the past and was getting pissed at himself for doing it now. He was determined to get through the day without biting anyone’s head off. Well, maybe Teddy’s, but he was used to it.

Justin was required at the gallery. In a couple of weeks the Emerging Artists show would debut. Sidney requested Justin’s presence during the ‘dry run’ of the show. Sidney liked to gather the ‘emerging artists’ together for their own version of the meet and greet. Justin enjoyed being there to answer any questions and to discuss the different projects on display. Justin’s own ‘first’ pieces were on permanent display at the gallery and had been for many years. But that didn’t stop Justin from being awed by the experience, and forever grateful for his own good fortune.

“What time do you think your meeting will be finished?” Justin asked Brian as they pulled up in front of the gallery. Brian took off his sunglasses, tossing them on the dashboard.

“I’m hoping by one,” Brian replied with a pitiful sigh.

Ignoring the dramatics, Justin continued, “Then why don’t I come over when I’m done here and we can go to the diner for lunch. I haven’t seen Lacy in a while and she’s going to have a couple of her posters in the show.”

“I thought all the artists were meeting today?”

“She couldn’t get away, Bri. She runs the place, remember?”

“Another little rag-a-muffin ex-hustler grows up and does good,” Brian said with a lopsided grin.

“With a lot of help from you,” Justin said.

“And you,” Brian countered.

“And Hunter.”

“Especially Hunter. Our own Master of Social Work,” Brian chuckled.

“Go! Be off with you! You’re getting silly and it isn’t even ten in the morning,” Justin commanded, as he shooed away his spouse, but not before Brian reached out through the window to grab Justin back for a kiss. “I love you too,” Justin whispered as he gently caressed Brian’s face. Brian smirked as he then reached for his sunglasses.

“Later, Sunshine,” Brian quipped as he pulled the Jeep back out into the street.



*****



“Hey, Sidney!” Justin called out, greeting his manager and mentor with a warm smile.

“Justin, my boy, so good of you to come. Let me introduce you to some of Pittsburgh’s budding stars.” As Sidney and Justin were talking to the artists, Jamie was able to get Lindsay aside.

“Ms. Peterson, I just wanted to thank you again for getting me into this show,” Jamie said sincerely.

“Jamie, your unique talent got you into this show. And I truly admire your devotion to your students. I have many contacts at PIFA and they all say wonderful things about you. And it’s Lindsay.”

Jamie blushed. “I hope I can live up to your expectations.”

“It’s not mine you have to live up to.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Jamie, I used to love to paint and draw but somehow I could never live up to my own expectations. If the end product wasn’t perfect, I never allowed anyone to see it.”

“But doesn’t that defeat the purpose of art? The product, as you call it, is an expression of how we feel at the time. We’re human, with human desires, faults and foibles. It’s our ability to translate those feelings into something tangible, share them and hopefully touch someone with them and perhaps make an impact, that’s what makes the piece perfect. Not that the lines are straight or the flowers are symmetrical. I teach my students that the perfection lies in the creation and in taking the chance to create, knowing all along that the only one who may ever like the finished project might be its creator.”

“Maybe that’s why I enjoy promoting artists rather than being one. But this day is not about me. Go mingle with the other artists.”

“Thank you, Lindsay.”

Lindsay smiled as Jamie wandered toward the group of young hopefuls who all wanted to chat with Justin about his experiences.

“Were we ever that young?” Sidney asked Lindsay.

“I’m not sure,” she responded wistfully.

“Lindsay, I’ve seen your work. There’s no reason why we can’t display some of your pieces.”

Lindsay gave her friend and boss a kiss on the cheek. “Maybe one day, Sidney, I’ll grow a set of balls and take the chance. For now, I’m very satisfied with being on this end of things.”

“Are you sure, my dear?”

“I am, Sid, I promise. I have other priorities at the moment.”

“I understand, and you take all the time you need to work on them. Under your leadership, this gallery is solid. We can afford to have you cut back a little.”

“Thank you,” Lindsay said with a little hitch in her voice. Sidney gave her a little hug.

“Hellooo!” They heard a familiar voice ring across the gallery. Sidney gave Lindsay a poignant look.

“That starving artist bit is so overrated,” Lindsay quipped. Sidney laughed as Emmett with minions in tow set up a small buffet table for brunch to feed the artists.

“Carry on!” Sidney ordered with a royal wave. And Lindsay did just that.



*****



“So are you ready to play ball?” Brandon asked Brian as they sat at the small conference table in Brian’s old office.

“Unless we’re talking soccer, let’s stick to business,” Brian said sternly.

“Fine. Your business partner and CFO both agree that my company’s proposal is sound. It’s more than sound. We can offer you a seamless link to your other branches, virus protection and security on an individual branch level and company-wide. We handle the big stuff while working with your IT people who will handle the small stuff and be our liaisons. All we need is for you to sign on the dotted line.”

Brian scowled. He knew the proposal was a good one. Ted and Cynthia were both wearing the same expression. It was the ‘shit or get off the pot’ look. Brian sighed then took the pen Ted waved in front of his face. Brian signed the contract then handed the pen back to Ted. Ted and Cynthia nodded as Ted gathered up the papers to make the appropriate copies. They left Brian alone with Brandon.

Being the consummate host, Brian offered Brandon coffee.

“Please,” Brandon said with some reserve in his voice. He did not want to piss off his host. Brian brought over a tray with coffee, cups and the fixings to the table.

“Help yourself,” Brian said indicating the milk and sugar as he poured coffee into Brandon’s cup.

“Thank you,” Brandon said softly.

“May I ask you something?” Brian ventured. Brandon nodded. “You’re looking better.”

“Thank you, again. I’ve joined a local gym, and Ted has sponsored me at the local 12-step.”

“And the, uh...,” Brian stammered, looking up at the top of Brandon’s head. It appeared that his hair was growing back.

“Better living through chemicals,” Brandon snarked. “I have a good dermatologist and counselor. Most of my hair loss was due to stress and poor nutrition. I’ve since corrected those problems,” Brandon said as he sipped his coffee.

“You seeing anyone?” Brian asked, surprising himself that he did in fact, ask.

“You offering?” Brandon flashed his confident and sexy smile.

“No.”

“Too bad.”

“Why do you do that? We were having a … a not bad conversation and then you ruin it with that shit.”

“Old habits die hard.”

“Fuck old habits.”

“I’d rather fu...shit. I’m sorry. I almost did it again.”

“Then cut the shit out before I rip up the fucking contract.”

“I will,” Brandon said lifting his hands in surrender. Brian freshened up Brandon’s coffee. “Are you really happy leading the ‘married’ life?” Brandon asked making quote marks in the air.

“Yes, I am.”

“I never pegged you for the monogamous, happily ever after type.”

“Things change, people change, priorities change.”

“That’s a lot of change.”

“And it didn’t happen overnight. But I can’t beat the results. I have a beautiful, smart and talented partner in my life and in my bed every night. I have two great children that can’t make me any prouder than I already am. I have a wonderful family, although if you repeat that I will have to kill you. And I have a great business.”

“Businesses. I’ve checked. And I won’t even venture to try and figure out your net worth.”

“I’ve been lucky.”

“No, you’ve been smart. Where I have made some god-awful mistakes.”

“Learn from them and move on. I meant what I said; you are looking better in the short time you’ve been back in the Pitts. You look more fit. I’m sure there are a lot of men who can see your potential.”

“I’m not sure if I’m ready for that,” Brandon murmured and looked a bit forlorn.

“When you’re ready, let me know. Allow me to introduce you to a better class of trick than what you’re used to.”

“I once lost a bet to a better class of trick. I lost in more ways than one,” Brandon said as he gazed into Brian’s eyes. He saw a glimmer of something in them that he had never hoped to see, respect. Brian placed his hand over Brandon’s in support.

And that’s when Justin walked in, “Hey, Bri, are you ready for lun....”



*****



Melanie walked into the restaurant where Leda had arranged that they would meet. She saw her old flame sitting at a table and made her way over to her.

“Glad you could meet me today, Mel,” Leda said.

“I’m glad you’re glad, but I don’t think Lindsay would be too pleased if she knew we were together,” Melanie replied as she sat down.

“Then let’s not tell her,” Leda joked.

“It’s not funny, Leedz. Lindsay and I…” Melanie let her voice trail off.

“Are things still rocky?”

“It seems like they’re always rocky. Can we just order and get this over with?”

“Sure.”

They both perused the menus and made their selections when the waitress arrived.

“Maybe I should have invited Lindsay for lunch too,” Leda suggested.

“What the hell for?” Melanie demanded. “So we can have a public display of animosity. That would truly make my day. No thank you!”

“I asked you here today to tell you my news. It should make Lindsay happy too.”

“And what might that be?”

“Jamie Cunningham and I are getting kind of serious about each other,” Leda said with a big smile.

“No shit! How…?”

“We’ve been seeing each other whenever we get a chance. I really like her. Not since you and I…”

“She might be the one,” Melanie supplied.

“Maybe, and I intend to find out,” Leda said forcefully. “I think I might finally be ready to settle down.”

Melanie sighed. “I guess that’s good.”

“What the fuck does that mean?” Leda demanded.

The waitress gave Leda an admonishing look for her choice of language, before she set down their meals and hurried away.

“You’re scaring the help,” Melanie laughed.

“It’s not funny,” Leda hissed. “What did you mean by that crack?”

“It wasn’t a crack,” Melanie replied. “I was thinking about you settling down and all the trouble Lindsay and I have had. I don’t wish that on anyone, including you.”

“And what about the good times you and Lindsay have had? I guess you don’t want to wish that on me either.”

Melanie looked stunned at Leda’s comment. “Good times?”

“I seem to remember you telling me how much you loved living with Lindsay and having Gus. And now you have JR, you have a great career and a successful wife. I would think you would be counting your blessings.”

“You think I have a … great life?”

“It sure looks like it from where I’m standing. I’d love to have years together with Jamie. I think we’re good for each other.”

“I … I’m sorry if I sounded ungrateful for what I have. I do wish you and Jamie well.”

“Thank you,” Leda replied picking up her sandwich.

“Maybe I do need to re-examine my life,” Melanie said thoughtfully.

“It never hurts,” Leda said with a smile for her old friend. She bit into her sandwich.



*****



“Justin, Justin!” Brian called as he hurried through the foyer of Kinnetik. Justin was already going out the door. “Justin!”

“What the fuck was that in there?” Justin asked wheeling around and looking at his husband for the first time since he had interrupted Brian and Brandon.

“What was what?” Brian asked. “Brandon and I were having a business meeting. I told you I was meeting with him.”

“Oh, pardon me! How could I have mistaken that business meeting you were involved in for something else? I didn’t realize your business meetings involved holding hands with business associates. I guess my concept of business has been completely incorrect all these years. Stupid me!” Justin wheeled around and stomped down the alley that led to Liberty Avenue.

“Justin, wait!”

“What for? So you can tell me once again that you’re flying off to Ibiza with Brandon Tierney? I don’t give a fuck. Head for the fucking airport right now! What are you waiting for? Don’t let me slow you down.”

“Fuck, Justin! Stop, please,” Brian begged as he followed Justin out onto Liberty Avenue. “Nothing was going on. It was just a business meeting.”

Justin snorted and kept on going.

“Justin, this is ridiculous. You know Brandon means nothing to me,” Brian pleaded wondering how he could convince Justin of just that.

“Yeah, right! That’s why you were holding his fucking hand.”

“If you’d stop for a minute, I could explain.”

“Oh I can hardly wait for your explanation of this one!” Justin said, stopping so abruptly that Brian almost ran into him. “Explain away. I’m all ears.” He turned to face Brian, crossing his arms on his chest and glaring at his husband.

“Um…” Brian said, trying to decide what he might say that would mollify Justin.

“Um? Um! That’s a fucking great explanation, Brian! I would have thought you could do slightly better than that, since you’re so fucking full of shit.”

“Give me a fucking chance.”

“You have two minutes,” Justin stated glancing at his watch.

“What?” Brian asked with a frown, remembering how he had pulled the same time gambit on Brandon.

“I said you have two minutes to explain yourself, and then I cease to care. You’ve used up twenty seconds of that time.”

“Fuck! Brandon’s been trying to get his life together. He’s lost some weight, has been working out and is going to Twelve Step. I was trying to be encouraging to him. I don’t like to see any homo make a fucking mess of his life. Heteros, maybe, but gay people…” Brian shook his head.

Justin frowned and stared at his husband. “What the fuck was the hand stuff then?”

“I squeezed Brandon’s hand to give him my support,” Brian said quickly.

“And when did you get all touchy-feely with someone you say you detest?” Justin looked skeptically at Brian.

“I … I really talked to Brandon for the first time today. He’s not such a bad guy. I kind of felt sorry for him.”

“You … felt sorry … for Brandon?” Justin asked, his voice softening.

“Yeah, just a bit.”

Justin studied Brian’s embarrassed face and saw the truth of his words. “So, you were trying to help Brandon?” Justin asked gently.

“Yeah, dumb move, right?” Brian made that funny little grin that said he was totally out of his element.

“Not so dumb,” Justin said in little more than a whisper.

“Am I forgiven?” Brian asked hopefully, looking intently at Justin.

“Maybe, but I better not hear anymore about fucking Ibiza.”

“I promise,” Brian said solemnly. “Unless it’s to take you there.”

“That might be all right,” Justin said with a grin.

“Good, then we’re finished being jealous.”

“We’re finished,” Justin laughed, knowing that it was only he who had been jealous.

“Can we go to the diner and get some lunch. I think I found my appetite.”

Justin laughed again. “Yeah, I’ll spring for a turkey sandwich with no mayo.”

“That’s my hubby,” Brian teased.

“Asshole!” Justin laughed, as Brian threw his arm over Justin’s shoulder and they headed for the diner.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 8



Warning: Lesbian sex



*****



Justin stopped as they approached the diner; he turned to face Brian. Looking up into his spouse’s sunglass hidden eyes, he reached up to remove the glasses.

“I don’t know why I do that,” Justin said referring to his jealous tirade moments before.

“I’ve been known to jump to wrong conclusions on occasion,” Brian admitted.

“You? I don’t believe it,” Justin teased.

“Well, only on rare occasions,” Brian snarked.

“So we’re good?” Justin asked with an embarrassed grin.

“Better than good, Sunshine,” Brian said confidently then grabbed his lover to plant a big sloppy one on his lips for all of Liberty Avenue to see. They heard several cheers of approval from the denizens of Liberty as they broke apart. “Come on, Sunshine, let’s go inside. These fags can’t handle our show,” Brian said as he opened the door to the diner to allow Justin in.

The lunch rush was still in full force; however, the back booth that the staff usually used was empty. Lacy saw them enter and indicated they should take that booth. She quickly gave the table a wipe down then brought them coffee and soda. She handed them a menu to look at while she served other customers. After a few moments Lacy was back.

“Hi, guys! Long time no see.”

“We’ve been a little busy,” Brian said. Lacy nodded; she kept up to date with the family gossip and news.

“So, what’ll it be?” Lacy asked as she pulled a pencil out from behind her ear, ready to jot down their order. Brian and Justin couldn’t help but smile; Lacy reminded them so much of Debbie in her prime.

“He’ll have...” Justin began.

“Wait! Let me guess. Turkey on whole wheat, hold the mayo and a burger deluxe for you. Extra fries, just in case someone wants to steal some off your plate when he thinks you’re not looking,” Lacy said smugly.

Justin giggled as Brian snorted and waved Lacy off. Lacy laughed.

“I love my job,” she said as she went to put in their order.

As they waited for their lunch to arrive, Justin got up to look around the diner. It had been a few weeks since either of them had visited. Some subtle changes had been taking place. The first thing they noticed was the art work and posters prominently displayed on the walls. Justin got up close and personal with a poster that was obviously one of Lacy’s drawings of Sateeena. The character was lean but muscular; she exuded strength and yet had a vulnerability about her. She reminded Justin so much of Lacy. He then looked at some of the other artwork, some of which was graffiti caricatures of local Liberty inhabitants including many of the popular drag queens.

Justin returned to the booth as Lacy brought their lunches.

“Here ya go. Cow with the works for the handsome artist and a very plain gobbler for his majesty.” Brian made a pitiful attempt at being insulted but failed miserably. Lacy knew the man all too well. “Enjoy your lunch, but I’d like to talk to you both afterwards.” The boys nodded then attacked their food.

The diner began to quiet down as the lunchtime rush filtered out. Lacy came back to the booth to clear their dishes and then brought them a large slab of apple pie topped with vanilla ice cream to share. Brian arched a brow at the pie, as Lacy refreshed his coffee and handed Justin a glass of milk.

“Try it,” she suggested handing them both clean forks. Tentatively they each took a sample.

“Shit! This is good,” Justin exclaimed then took a larger forkful.

“It’s not bad,” Brian commented as he took another small sample.

“Wait just a fucking minute, I know this pie,” Justin said as he shoveled another piece into his mouth.

“Intimately, by the look of it,” Brian snarked as he watched Justin wash down another forkful with his milk. “Care to explain why this pie has a familiar air about it?” Brian glared at Lacy as he snuck another bite.

“Because it’s one of Emmett’s pies,” Lacy said proudly.

“Emmett, our Emmett?” Justin asked.

“Do you know of another Emmett that has a way with desserts?” Lacy asked.

“Apparently we’ve stayed away from the Pitts far too long, Sunshine. You want to let us in on your little arrangement with Liberty’s number one fairy,” Brian asked.

“I suggested to the owner that instead of competing with the bistro, we use them,” Lacy crowed proudly.

“I get it,” Brian said as he gazed at Lacy like a proud daddy.

“I don’t understand,” Justin mumbled around a piece of flaky crust.

“It’s simple,” Brian explained. “The Liberty diner offers passable fare at this end of Liberty. Emm’s bistro is a bit up-market toward the middle of the avenue but with a limited food menu. The diner buys desserts, muffins and popovers from the bistro to sell here,” Brian said as he craned his neck to look at the dessert displays on the counter. “The bistro makes money from the sale to the diner and perhaps more catering customers when they ask Lacy where the desserts came from. The diner gets repeat customers by offering a better class of dessert than ordinary diners.”

“Exactly! And the Village diner has started ordering from Emmett as well. They’re across town so they’re not too much competition. The customers are willing to pay more for Emm’s desserts.”

“Of course they are; they recognize quality when they taste it,” Brian said without thinking, as he stuck the last piece of pie into his mouth. Lacy and Justin smirked knowingly at Brian. “But if either of you ever tell that big queen I said that I will deny it then kill you both,” Brian growled.

Lacy and Justin held up their hands in surrender. Satisfied that his indiscretion was safe for now, Brian took another sip of coffee.

“Now, what did you want to talk to us about?” Justin asked Lacy. Lacy sat next to Justin and readied herself to make her pitch to the men she trusted the most next to Hunter.

“Um, I’d like your opinion and then perhaps your backing if you think my proposal is a good one,” Lacy said pensively as she looked Brian in the eyes.

“Go on,” Justin said laying a supportive hand on Lacy’s. He then looked up at Brian who was smiling at him, glancing quickly at Justin’s hand on Lacy’s. Justin smiled coyly at Brian then turned all of his attention to Lacy. Brian nodded at them both.

“The owner of this diner, who by the way has got to be older than dirt, wants to sell the place so he can retire. He thought Debbie would want to buy it, but I think she’s enjoying retirement too much. She and Carl are planning another trip after Gus’ birthday party. Anyway, I talked it over with Kat and even though I love drawing for Rage and other comics, the diner offers me a more steady income. And I can accommodate time for my art.”

“And you’ve been at the forefront of initiating these changes,” Brian commented as he waved his hand at the diner.

Lacy blushed slightly. “I’d like to think I’ve made some good decisions,” she said.

“Well, if the lunch crowd is any indication, I’d say you have.” Justin spoke from experience.

“So what do you want from us?” Brian asked, awaiting an honest answer.

Lacy knew Brian would accept nothing but honesty. “I’d like your financial backing. I’ve gone to my bank but I don’t have any clout to get them to back me. They agreed my plan appears sound and I’m willing to put in as much of my own money as I can, but...”

“BUT, you’re very young, single and a woman,” Brian said frankly.

Lacy nodded. Justin looked indignant.

“But that’s not fair,” Justin began to protest.

“Maybe not, but you have to look at it from the bank’s point of view,” Brian said wisely. Lacy and Justin grew quiet as Brian pinched the bridge of his nose. “As I see it, we have two options. I can go to the bank with you,” Brian said as he looked at Lacy, “to co-sign a loan, but that will take time and their interest rates suck big furry moose balls.”

Justin and Lacy both cringed at Brian’s description.

“I know for a fact that Lacy is not into balls,” Brian teased.

“And the other option?” Lacy asked with hope in her voice, ignoring Brian’s snarky comment.

“You come to the bank of Brian via Teddy’s little accounting shop. I’ll back you at a reasonable interest rate providing you put your hard working hands into Ted’s very experienced ones. He will provide you with sound business guidance without trying to tell you how to run the diner.”

Lacy suddenly pushed aside the cups and glasses on the table and reached over to give Brian a huge and grateful kiss. Justin giggled at Brian’s flustered expression.

“Hey!” Brian griped as he gently pushed Lacy back into her seat. “Homo here.”

“Lesbo here,” Lacy quickly countered. Tears of joy quickly came to her eyes. “Thank you, Brian. Thank you both,” Lacy said as she gave Justin a hug too.

“Don’t thank us yet, because if this doesn’t work out I’m going to be stuck with this fucking diner,” Brian said with a scowl. Lacy and Justin both broke out into laughter.

“You don’t know how happy I am. I wish I could do something for you,” Lacy said as she looked back and forth at her mentors.

“Uh, I know what you can do,” Justin said softly.

“Anything!”

“Um, can I have another piece of pie?” Justin said turning on the Taylor charm. Lacy jumped up to get them another piece of apple pie with ice cream.

“Justin, that bubble butt of yours can only handle so much pie,” Brian deadpanned. Lacy brought a reasonable slab of pie with ice cream, more milk and fresh coffee. “Then again, I’ll help you work off any extra calories that may be lingering,” Brian said as he took a small forkful.

Justin looked at his watch then back at Brian.

“It’s way before seven, Sunshine,” Brian said, giving his spouse a lopsided grin.

Justin broke out into one of those smiles that nearly took Brian’s breath away. Brian could see the tip of Justin’s pink tongue just peeking out of the corner of his mouth. Brian shifted in his seat.

“Justin, are you in a rush to get home?” Brian asked nonchalantly.

“Not really. Rachel’s getting the kids. Why?”

“I think we need to go over to Tremont. You know to check out my pipes and the state of my wood and things,” Brian said as he stared at Justin’s full red lips while Justin licked the ice cream off them.

“Ooohhh, to check your pipes and wood. Preventive maintenance is always a wise decision,” Justin said as he seductively batted his long blond lashes at Brian. Brian shifted again on the seat.

“Let’s go,” Brian commanded as he took out his wallet and threw down several twenties. Justin had just enough time to finish the pie and gulp down the rest of his milk before Brian grabbed his hand. They shouted their goodbyes to Lacy as they raced out of the diner. They ran all the way to the Tremont apartments.

“Shit, Sunshine, I’m too old to be running down Liberty,” Brian said as he panted while they rode up in the elevator. Justin pushed Brian against the back of the elevator to kiss him silly.

“You’re not old,” Justin said as they broke apart. He ran his hand down the front of Brian’s suit pants to fondle Brian’s dick. Justin felt Brian immediately respond to him; Brian's cock hardened under Justin's hand. Brian leaned down to kiss Justin.

“You do that to me every time,” Brian purred into Justin’s ear. The elevator stopped at their floor.

Brian unlocked the loft door then quickly entered in the pass code. Justin kept walking toward the loft bedroom, deliberately swishing his ass for his spouse who rolled the door shut with a slam. A man with a mission, Brian followed Justin to the bedroom. Following the trail of clothes on the floor to the bathroom, Brian carefully stripped off his suit, hanging it in the closet. A naked Brian joined Justin in their shower.

A warm leisurely shower, slippery soapy sponges, hot tongues and hard cocks. They rutted up against one another under the warm spray of water.

“Mmm, I think your pipes are working at peak efficiency,” Justin murmured into Brian’s mouth.

“Your wood is very hard and quite polished,” Brian purred back as he ground his groin into Justin’s cock. Justin moaned at the sensation.

“Fuck me,” Justin commanded as he turned in Brian’s arms, facing the wall of the shower, pushing his delectable ass into Brian’s dick.

Brian reached for the small packet of lube in the soap dish, tearing it open with his teeth, squirting some into his hand then lubricating Justin’s hole.

“Hard and fast?” Brian growled out.

“Yeah,” Justin said as he pushed himself onto his lover’s cock. Both men groaned loudly.

“Oh fuck,” Brian said as he felt Justin’s heat surround him. He wrapped one arm around Justin’s waist to keep him close. With the other hand, Brian fisted Justin’s cock in rhythm to his thrusts.

“Harder!” Justin demanded loudly. Brian angled himself to hit Justin’s sweet spot again and again.

“God!” Justin shouted as he felt his balls tighten. “Gonna come,” he cried. “Brian!” Justin called out as he shot thick hot cum against the shower tiles. Brian bit down on Justin’s shoulder as came deep within his husband, somehow finding the strength to hold them both up.

Gently pulling out, Brian rinsed them off then wrapped Justin in a thick towel. He then led his lover to the loft bed.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin murmured as he snuggled close in their post-coital haze.

“I love you too, Sunshine,” Brian whispered back as he wrapped his arms around his lover then drifted off to sleep.



*****



Several hours later Brian woke up. The sun was tipping below the next building, allowing only slivers of light through the windows. Justin, who was cuddled up next to him, was bathed in a golden light. Brian gazed upon his spouse who in his sleep looked like a sweet innocent child. Brian smirked; he so knew that Justin was far from being a child, and nowhere as innocent as he looked, however. Justin would always remain beautiful in Brian’s eyes. Brian swiped away a golden lock of hair from Justin’s face before he gently shook him awake.

“Justin, time to wake up.”

“Mmm, five more minutes,” Justin mumbled. Brian chuckled to himself.

“Wakey, wakey, little boy.”

“Do I have to?” Justin asked, more awake and stretching as he spoke.

“Not really, if you want to stay in the Pitts tonight. I can check in with John and Bobby.”

“It’s kind of nice to be alone, just you and me,” Justin said as he smiled up at Brian.

“Like the old days? You and me, here in the loft.” Justin nodded. “Do you miss those days?”

“Do you?”

“Not really.”

“Neither do I. This place will always be special to me. But not all the memories are good ones.”

“I know and I take full responsibility for that.”

“You shouldn’t have to, Bri. I may have been young, but I knew what I wanted.”

“I should have never taken chances with your life like that.”

“I took those chances; I could have said no. Now, no more talk about a past we can’t change.”

“Then what should we talk about?”

“We should talk about going home but I’d like to ask you something.”

“Go on.”

“This loft, are you planning on keeping it forever?”

“Maybe not forever, but I don’t want to sell it to just anyone.”

“I’m not suggesting you do. What about giving it to Gus? Once he graduates and starts working at Kinnetik, he’ll need a place of his own. I don’t think he’s planning on living with his mothers for very long.”

“You’re probably right and I can’t think of anyone better to give this place to. But let’s wait until he gets through his first year at Penn before we tell him. He still needs to earn that spot at Kinnetik. And I want to make sure that working there is what he really wants, and not due to some misguided belief that following in my footsteps will please me.”

Brian traced his finger down Justin’s nose then tucked a lock of hair behind an ear. Justin leaned up to kiss Brian’s lips.

“Your relationship with Gus is nothing like mine and Craig’s, and totally, totally opposite from yours and Jack. Brian, Gus wants to be a part of Kinnetik because he’s proud of his father and the quality of work you do at Kinnetik. He’s also talented and very smart. He wants to learn the ropes from you, Cynthia and Ted. Personally, I think you should have him intern at all of your branches.”

“Really? Why?”

“Each branch, including Perspectives caters its business toward the unique differences in clientele. Gus has been interning at Kinnetik for several summers. I think he’ll benefit from a summer in New York, Harrisburg and Los Angeles. This way he can make informed choices and decisions about the business.”

“Thank you, Justin Taylor!” Brian said with a smirk.

“Did that sound like one of my PSA’s?”

“A bit. But I enjoy your public service announcements.”

“Happy to be of service. But I am serious about my suggestion.”

“I know you are and I fully intend to take it under advisement. In the meantime do we stay or do we go?”

“Am I coming or going?”

“Or coming then going?”

“Or coming and staying?” Justin purred, batting his lashes, his eyes darkening with lust.

“I’ll take option ‘c’,” Brian purred back as he captured Justin’s lips in a searing kiss then made love to him for the next hour.



*****



Leda’s bike rumbled up to the gates of PIFA. Jamie was finished with her last class and was ready to go home.

“Want a ride?” Leda asked the young artist and college professor as she tossed a helmet to Jamie.

“Sure!” Jamie replied. She donned the helmet then sat behind Leda on the bike. Leda revved the engine then drove off to take Jamie home.

“Are you busy this weekend?” Leda asked as they entered Jamie’s small apartment.

“No, not really. The Emerging Artists show isn’t for another two weeks and my entry is already at the gallery.”

“You sound excited,” Leda said as she accepted a glass of wine from her hostess.

“I am. Lindsay has been very supportive.”

Leda scowled for a moment. “What’s Lindsay to you?” Leda demanded to know, letting her jealousy come to the forefront.

“I have to be honest. I think Lindsay is very beautiful and so sensitive. I thought we had a connection.”

“You probably did. Maybe you still do.”

“I thought that maybe I could get her away from that Melanie person.”

Leda laughed. “That would have been easy. Those two are idiots sometimes. They never seem to appreciate what they have.”

Leda drew closer to Jamie. Jamie’s coloring was similar to Mel’s, yet she was tall like Lindsay, not as tall but tall enough to suit Leda. But it was Jamie’s enthusiasm and her sense of adventure that attracted Leda to Jamie. And something more. Jamie was a home body. She enjoyed living and working in Pittsburgh; she wasn’t clambering to make it rich and get out. Jamie had a sense of loyalty to her family and to the city that bore her. Leda admired that. Jamie had roots, something that Leda never thought she wanted, but now admitted to.

Leda kissed Jamie, reveling in the way the young body melted into hers. Jamie snaked her arms around Leda’s neck to deepen their kiss. She found her body responding to Leda’s experienced hands. Confident hands snuck under Jamie’s blouse to cup her breasts, pinching her nipples taut. Jamie moaned into Leda’s mouth.

“Take me to your bed,” Leda demanded. They broke apart long enough to strip off their clothes and get into Jamie’s small bed.

Leda sucked and bit Jamie’s nipples until they were raw then kissed her way down between her lover’s legs.

“Please!” Jamie writhed on the mattress. Leda smiled; she knew her own power in bed.

“I like the way you beg,” Leda said just before she buried herself between Jamie’s thighs, licking and sucking until Jamie’s body arched high up off the bed as she came.

Leda lay next to Jamie wearing a smug smile until Jamie became coherent.

“That was fantastic,” Jamie said. “I’m not sure I can match it.”

“I don’t need you to match it, just do what pleases you. I’m sure it will please me too.” Jamie favored Leda with a brilliant smile. Jamie kissed Leda, tasting herself on Leda’s lips.

“I think I’m falling in love with you,” Jamie whispered.

Leda nodded. “Jamie, I’m thinking of settling down here in Pittsburgh. You’re a big part of that. I’m still staying at the Plaza until the ad hits for my motorcycle. Would you join me there this weekend? I know you don’t like traveling too far away and I want to be available for Kinnetik while they work on the ad.”

“I’d love to spend the weekend there with you.”

“Good. Pack light, I plan on keeping you naked for the weekend. And let me know if you have a favorite toy. I have a rather extensive toy collection. I’d love to try them out on you.” Jamie shivered in anticipation. “For now, I’ll use the tools the gods have given me.” Leda wiggled her fingers at Jamie, enjoying the way the younger woman blushed at the implication.

“Roll over,” Leda growled. “You have a great ass and I know just how to use it.”

Jamie shuddered again as she rolled over onto her belly, offering her vulnerable and willing bottom to her lover.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 9



Warning: Lesbian sex



*****



“Hey, Sonny Boy.”

“Hey, Pop,” Gus said into his phone.

“How’s it going?”

“I’m doing good.”

“Classes?”

“Been going to them all,” Gus laughed.

“That’s a good idea,” Brian snorted. “Assignments?”

“I’ve handed one in, but no results yet. I have another one due in a couple of days.”

“So you’re staying on top of things?”

“I’m trying.”

“That’s my boy.”

“Thanks, Pop, but I really am okay. You don’t have to check up on me all the time,” Gus informed his father.

“Is two or three calls a week too much?”

“Well…”

“Okay, can I call once a week?” Brian asked with a grimace.

“You can call whenever you want,” Gus said quickly.

“But you’d rather that I didn’t?”

“I guess I just want to feel like a grown up. When you call…”

“It feels like I don’t have confidence in you,” Brian supplied.

“Kind of.”

“Okay, Gotcha.”

“Pop, are you mad at me for telling you that?”

“No, I’m not mad. I just want you to be safe and happy and successful.”

“I’m all of the above,” Gus said confidently.

“Then my call was unnecessary. I won’t bother you for another week.”

“Pop…?”

“Yes.”

“You do sound mad.”

“I didn’t mean to. It’s okay, Gus. I understand this is a new experience and you want to enjoy your freedom.”

“I do, but you know I love you.”

“I know, and you know that the same comes from me.”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus replied sighing with relief. His Pop sounded okay with the once a week arrangement.

“You’re still coming home for your birthday?”

“Of course I am.”

“Good, so I guess I can talk to you once more before that happens.”

“Pop…!”

“Just yanking your chain, Sonny Boy,” Brian laughed.

Gus shook his head. “I’ll see you soon.”

“And I’ll talk to you next week,” Brian said and cut the connection before Gus could protest once again.

Brian leaned back on the chaise and closed his eyes. He wondered if he had been too hard on his son. Brian was annoyed about the once a week calling policy, but he could live with it. He wanted Gus to enjoy his time in university, but that didn’t stop Brian from worrying about his son. If he was truthful with himself, he would admit that he didn’t like his son being so far away and open to so many potentially dangerous people and events. Brian shuddered, remembering some of the things he had done in college. He hoped Gus was smarter than he had been.

“Dada, are you asleep?” a petite blond child asked.

“Just resting my eyes, Squirt,” Brian replied with his eyes still closed.

“Oh.”

“Did you want something?”

“I brought a book and I thought maybe you’d read to me,” Bree said carefully. She didn’t want to upset her father. He seemed a little out of sorts. He didn’t usually talk to her with his eyes closed.

“Don’t you want Daddy to read your bedtime story?” Brian asked.

“It’s not bedtime.”

“It’s not?”

“Nope.”

“But you want a story now?”

“Yes.”

“Okay,” Brian said sitting up straighter and opening his eyes. He glanced at his watch to make sure it wasn’t time for Bree to be in bed. “Want to come up here with me?”

Bree bobbed her head to indicate she did. Brian shifted over leaving her more room so she could climb up. She handed him her copy of The Velveteen Rabbit. She climbed up onto the chaise and settled next to him, cuddled against his side. She placed her gray bunny on her lap and partially on Brian’s.

“You still like this story?” Brian asked.

Bree nodded. “It’s my very most favorite,” she said seriously.

Brian smiled at her and leaned down so he could kiss the top of her head. “Then Velveteen Rabbit it shall be.”

“Dada, do you think Bunny could ever become real like the Velveteen Rabbit?” Bree asked.

“I don’t know,” Brian replied carefully. This was another one of Bree’s multitudinous questions that he wasn’t sure how to answer. He didn’t want to stifle her imagination, but he didn’t want to encourage her to believe that inanimate objects could become real. “Do you think Bunny is real?”

Bree picked up the gray bunny and studied it for a moment, before clutching it close to her heart. “Bunny’s real,” she declared.

“Why do you say that?”

“Bunny and me knew that Miss Leda was a good person.”

“You did?”

“Yep. I asked her if she wanted to hold Bunny, and she did. She held Bunny just right and she knew Bunny was real too.”

“Is that right?”

“Uh huh. Bunny knows the good people.”

“Then we better take good care of bunny and keep him around for a long time,” Brian said softly.

Bree nodded. “And not put him in a fire.”

“No, definitely not in a fire.”

“I love Bunny, and I love you, Dada.”

“I love you right back, Squirt.”

“Do you love Bunny?”

“Of course, I do. I know how much Bunny means to you.”

“That’s good, Dada.”

“Ready for your story?”

“Yep.”

Bree snuggled closer and Brian opened the book.



*****



“Albert, I’m sorry to bother you at home,” Ted said into the phone, “but I really wanted to speak to you.”

“No problem, Ted. What can I do for you?”

“I’ve been meaning to call you and arrange a meeting about Camp Little Flowers.”

“And I’ve been wondering when you’d want to get into that.”

“How did their accounts look at the end of the summer?”

“Not bad. The new influx of money really helped. They had more children attending than they thought they would.”

“Good.”

“I also have a few ideas of ways to make their operation more profitable.”

“Great, that’s the kind of thing I want to discuss.”

“How would next Tuesday be?”

“That’s good for me,” Ted said as he skimmed his planner.

“Ten a.m.?”

“Doable. See you then.” Ted hung up the phone. He would have to speak to Brian and John about any input they might have for the meeting.



*****



“Story time over?” Brian asked as Justin joined him in the living room.

“Yeah, Bree says you started reading her The Velveteen Rabbit. She wanted me to continue with it.”

“Did she want to know if you thought Bunny was real?”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“I had the same question,” Brian chuckled.

“What did you tell her?”

“I … waffled.”

“Waffled? How do you do that with a six year old?”

“I told her I didn’t know if Bunny was real. What did you tell her?”

“I told her Bunny was as real as she wanted him to be.”

Brian shook his head. “Why can’t I think up good answers like that?” he asked.

“Because you take everything she says so seriously.”

“I do?”

“Yes, you think you have to have some profound answer because it might affect the rest of her life and the kind of person she turns out to be.”

“Shit! I do.”

“So you make the answer a thousand times more complicated than it needs to be.”

“Yeah, I do,” Brian admitted.

“Sometimes a question is just a question.”

“And it won’t scar her for life if I give the wrong answer,” Brian replied thoughtfully.

Justin nodded. “Not every question has to be of enormous significance.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ll remember that.”

“Until the next time she asks you one of those questions and you’ll be right back where you were today.”

“You know me far too well,” Brian chuckled.

“I know. It’s scary, isn’t it?”

“Yes, but only in the very best way,” Brian said as he pulled Justin against him and kissed him, using his very best techniques.

Justin let out a breathless gasp when Brian released him from the kiss. Some things should never change.



*****



“This is some suite!” Melanie exclaimed as they entered the posh hotel suite. “Brian doesn’t ever hold back, does he?” Melanie was awed by the room and gave herself a tour as the bellman brought in their bags. Lindsay opened her purse to give the man a tip.

“Not necessary, ma’am,” he said as he raised his hand to refuse.

“But...”

“Mr. Kinney has taken care of the gratuities. And Mr. Honeycutt has arranged your spa day for tomorrow. Your agenda is on the desk.” The man pointed toward the writing desk in the corner of the room. “A reservation for Sunday brunch has also been arranged. Please enjoy your stay,” the man said shutting the door behind him as he left.

Lindsay and Mel stared at each other, dumbstruck.

“Um, what would you like to do first?” Lindsay asked, feeling slightly awkward.

“Unpack?” Mel answered with a shrug.

“Okay,” Lindsay said with a small smile. The girls picked up their bags to bring them to the bedroom.

“Holey Moley!” Mel shouted. “This bedroom is as big as our whole fucking house!”

“Check out the bathroom. Wow!” The girls went into the luxurious bathroom that was complete with a sunken tub and Jacuzzi. “That can seat six.”

“Do we want to call four friends?” Mel sarcastically asked.

“No, I think the two of us is more than enough,” Lindsay replied softly. Mel smiled. Lindsay stared at the tub and all of the various oils and scented bath salts that were beautifully displayed on their own special shelf. “Wanna join me in a bath?” Lindsay coyly asked as she picked up a jar of lavender scented bath beads.

Not needing a second invitation, Melanie turned on the taps for the tub, then began to strip off her clothes.



*****



“Stop!” Jamie cried out as she tugged on Leda’s hair. Leda lifted her face from between Jamie’s thigh.

“Too much?” Leda asked with a smug grin.

“Yes!” Jamie panted. “Give me time to catch my breath.”

“Breathing is so overrated,” Leda quipped.

“Please,” Jamie begged.

“Well when you ask so nicely,” Leda said as she crawled up to the head of the bed then laid her head down next to Jamie’s. Jamie gave her a kiss.

“I’ve never been with anyone like you,” Jamie whispered.

“Is that good?”

“Yes, it is. You excite me.”

“You excite me too.”

“But you barely let me touch you. I want to please you.”

“All in good time.”

“You like calling the shots.”

“I do prefer the dominant role; I like being in control. Does that bother you? You are a very independent woman. I don’t want to insult you.”

“I’ve been an independent woman since I graduated PIFA and was offered a position there. But that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a more subservient role in bed. I haven’t had many lovers and the ones that I have had were rather vanilla.”

“Then allow me to add some toppings to your vanilla,” Leda purred as her hand found its way between Jamie’s legs, gently rubbing her swollen clit. Jamie moaned and spread her legs giving her lover permission to do whatever she wanted to do.



*****



The girls were in the tub over an hour when they decided they’d perhaps pruned enough.

“I guess we should get out,” Lindsay said with a sigh. She was leaning her head on Mel’s shoulder.

“I suppose,” Mel agreed. Neither of them moved.

“The water’s getting cold.”

“Mmm.”

“I can add more hot water and more bath beads. The aroma is heavenly.”

Melanie smiled wistfully. Taking Mel’s smile as an affirmation, Lindsay turned on the hot water tap and added more beads.

“Oh that smells so nice,” Mel agreed.

The girls cuddled closer.

“Should I turn on the Jacuzzi? I’ve heard that when you angle the jets just so, it can be a very stimulating experience,” Lindsay said with a twinkle in her eye. Melanie nodded as she gave her wife a sly smile.

Lindsay turned on the jets. The girls adjusted on the bench to take full advantage of the spray.



*****



“Bri?” Justin called out from behind his easel.

“Hmm?” Brian mumbled as he turned the page of his newspaper. He was sitting on a chaise. It was the Anderson-Morrison’s turn to cook. Justin had already made a large salad. They were just waiting for the lasagna to come out of the oven.

“Do you think the girls are having a good time?”

Brian closed his newspaper, folded it then laid it on his lap.

“If they know what’s good for them, they better be having a good time.”

“I hope they talk it out,” Justin added.

“I hope they fuck themselves silly.”

“Brian! It’s not all about sex,” Justin admonished.

“Since when? Justin, you know how you told me I take Bree’s questions much too seriously and sometimes a question is just a question?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, sometimes sex is just sex. It’s okay to want to have hot fucking monkey sex. It’s okay to want to lick, suck, bite, fuck and to be licked, sucked, bitten and fucked in return. Justin, our lives for the most part are very serious, but it doesn’t have to be when we’re in bed. The girls used to be adventurous in bed. They’ve somehow forgotten about that along the way. Maybe they can get some of that back.”

“How do you know they were adventurous?” Justin asked with a suspicious tone.

“Lindsay has a loose tongue when she’s had a couple of glasses of wine,” Brian said innocently. Justin laughed out loud. “What? You think I’d go to bed with the two of them?” Brian gave Justin an exaggerated shudder. “No fucking way! The thought of seeing Mel naked makes my dick soft.”

“We can’t have that now, can we?” Justin said as he put his paint brush in the cleaning fluid then walked over to Brian’s chaise. He sat next to Brian who leaned over to give Justin a kiss.

“Perish the thought.”

“So do you think there will be some hot monkey sex sometime in my near future?” Justin asked very innocently.

“I think that can be arranged.”

“Maybe I should load up on the carbs tonight so I’ll have the strength to keep up with you,” Justin murmured as he kissed Brian’s mouth.

“Very forward thinking of you.”

“Thank you. I like to think of myself as adventurous.”

“Life with you, Sunshine, is always an adventure,” Brian said as he kissed Justin then nibbled on Justin’s lower lip.

“So no threesomes with lesbians?”

“No threesomes with lesbians,” Brian reiterated with a chuckle. Just then Bree came running out from the Anderson-Morrison side of the cottage to get her daddies for dinner.

“Unca John says dinner is ready.”

“Okay, Squirt. We’re coming.”

Brian and Justin stood up from their chaise. They each took one of Bree’s hands to walk in to dinner.

“Dada?”

“Hmm?”

“What’s a threesome?”



Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 10






Melanie picked up her glass of wine and held it out in front of her. She and Lindsay were enjoying the dinner Brian had arranged for them in the Plaza’s upscale restaurant. They had enjoyed a baby spinach salad with dried cranberries and toasted pecans. It had been flavorful and very enjoyable. The waiter had just brought their main course, perfectly cooked Beef Wellington. The waiter had sliced it in front of them, laid it out expertly on the plates for them and then added roasted herbed potatoes and a mixture of crunchy vegetables. After refilling their glasses with the hearty merlot that went so well with beef, he had then departed.

“A toast,” Melanie said looking into Lindsay’s eyes.

Lindsay smiled. “What shall we toast to?”

“To us,” Melanie said, “and a blissful weekend together.”

“Blissful?” Lindsay asked with a twinkle in her eye.

“Blissful and hot and erotic and … wonderful.”

“That’s the nicest thing you could have said,” Lindsay told her lover and wife. “I love you, Mel. This weekend has been very relaxing so far. I feel like we’ve really reconnected.”

“I’m glad you feel that way, because so do I.”

“Why do we always fuck it up?” Lindsay asked taking a bite of the beef and moaning at the sheer deliciousness of the meat and the flaky crust. “This is the best thing I’ve ever tasted.”

“I would agree,” Melanie sighed chewing the morsel she had put in her mouth. It practically melted as soon as her teeth touched it.

“Mmmmm, we should do this more often.”

“It must have cost Brian a fucking fortune for all this,” Melanie observed. “Here’s to the great and wealthy Kinney.” Melanie held up her glass before clinking it with Lindsay’s. They each took a sip.

“I’m glad you’re giving Brian some credit,” Lindsay said. “It was lovely of him to provide us with this weekend. He wants us to work things out.”

“I have to admit that this weekend is a selfless act on Brian’s part. He’s not going to get anything out of it,” Melanie stated.

“The only thing he wants is a happy home for his son. He wants us to be happy, Mel.”

“Yeah,” Melanie admitted reluctantly. “I can’t fault him on this one.”

“Good. So let’s talk about something else,” Lindsay said, as she continued to enjoy the beef.

“Gus and JR seem to be doing well at school. What are we going to get Gus for his birthday?”

“I know he still wants a car,” Lindsay said.

“Not his first year in university. I think that would just be asking for trouble,” Melanie said adamantly.

“I have to agree,” Lindsay said quickly. “Brian thinks so too.”

“Then why did you bring it up?”

“I was talking to Brian about the whole car thing, and we came up with this idea.”

“I can’t wait to hear it,” Melanie said sarcastically. “Is Brian getting Gus a chauffeur driven limo to take him back and forth to his classes?”

“No, he is not!” Lindsay said indignantly. “Brian wouldn’t do something that stupid.”

“Okay, okay, so what did you two decide?”

“We decided to get him half a car,” Lindsay giggled.

“Half a car? What the fuck is half a car?”

“We’re going to ante up half the money to buy a reasonable car. It will go in a special account for Gus until next summer when we will add the rest, and Gus will be able to purchase his car. We thought it might be better for him to get it early in the summer so he can use it and get used to it before he goes back to Penn in the fall.”

“You know that’s not a half bad idea,” Melanie had to admit.

Lindsay smiled. “I’m glad you like it.”

“So, what are we going to give Gus at his party, a passbook to the bank account?”

“No, silly, a half a car.”

“Huh?”

“Brian’s having someone cut a toy car in half. We can wrap it or put it on his cake. Whatever, but it will be symbolic, until he gets the other half next year.”

“Okaaay.”

“Are you good with this?”

“I’m good,” Melanie replied as she finished her Beef Wellington and scooped up the last of her vegetables. “This is one of the best meals I’ve ever had.”

“Me too,” Lindsay said wiping her mouth and taking the final sip of her wine.

“Would you ladies care for more wine, or perhaps coffee or cappuccino?” the waiter asked. He had promptly appeared to clear their plates once they were finished.

“Mm, cappuccino sounds wonderful,” Melanie replied.

“I’ll have one too,” Lindsay chimed in.

“Excellent,” the waiter said. “I’ll bring those and your dessert momentarily.”

“I’m not sure I have room for dessert,” Lindsay groaned.

“Let’s see what the Kinney chose for us,” Melanie laughed. “And while we’re waiting, there’s something else I want to talk to you about.”

“There is?” Lindsay asked with a frown. She thought they had discussed most of their issues, but Melanie seemed very serious. “What is it?”

“You remember when we were driving back from Edna’s Treasures and I saw that sign for a piece of property that was for sale?”

“I remember. So?”

“So I called the real estate agent, and he linked me to the MLS for the place. There’s this cute little cottage and five acres that goes with it and a stream runs at the back of the property and I really want to go see it,” Melanie said, her voice rising and getting more animated with each aspect she described about the place.

“You … you want another house?” Lindsay asked uncertainly.

“Well, we could at least look at it,” Melanie said, her disappointment evident at Lindsay’s lack of enthusiasm.

“But why?”

“I thought that…oh, never mind,” Melanie said shaking her head.

“Tell me,” Lindsay said laying her hand over Melanie’s where it rested on the table. “We’re going to be honest with each other, remember … and this sounds important to you.”

Melanie drew in a deep breath. “When we were at Edna’s Treasures, I had a talk with John. He’s a very bright man, you know.”

“I know,” Lindsay agreed, smiling encouragingly.

“We were talking about what makes us happy and things that we might want to do and have been afraid to do.”

“Oh my God! You’re not going skydiving or something, are you?” Lindsay demanded.

Melanie laughed, as the waiter brought their cappuccinos and a chocolate soufflé. “No,” she said, “nothing like that.”

They tasted the rich but light dessert and moaned in ecstasy.

“This is incredible,” Lindsay gushed.

“It’s so delicious. I can’t believe it,” Melanie added taking another spoonful. “God! I’m going to weigh two hundred pounds by the time this meal is over.”

“You’re as bad as Brian,” Lindsay chuckled. “You haven’t gained an ounce in all the years I’ve known you.”

Melanie smiled. “Good years,” she whispered softly.

“Yeah,” Lindsay replied feeling tears well up. “I love you, Mel.”

“I love you too,” Melanie responded. “Sometimes we forget how many good years we’ve had together.” Lindsay nodded. “Anyway, after my chat with John, I was thinking that if we had a little getaway somewhere, we could maybe do some of those things that would fulfill us.”

“Fulfill us? Like what?” Lindsay asked, her brow creasing as she tried to figure out what Melanie was talking about.

“It would be a place where you could paint and I could write,” Melanie explained.

“You want to write?” Lindsay asked in surprise.

“Yeah, I’d like to give it a try, and I don’t mean legal briefs.”

“You … you never told me that.”

“I never told anyone,” Melanie replied. “But now that I’m a partner and I don’t work twenty-four hours a day, I need something else in my life.”

“And you think writing would do that for you?”

Melanie nodded and looked into Lindsay’s eyes. “That’s what I’m hoping. A creative outlet would be a good thing.”

“But … I have a studio up in our attic,” Lindsay said deciding she needed to be practical, “and another place would be a huge expense.”

“You have a studio that you never use,” Melanie reminded her.

“I … I think that the fact that it was made by Leda has something to do with that.”

“I’m not surprised. But this new place would be fresh and clean with no memories or ties to the past. We could go in with a whole new attitude and see what happens.”

“Jamie has encouraged me to paint or draw, and Sidney said I could have a spot in one of the shows coming up,” Lindsay said slowly.

“Then this place would be great for you to get back to your artwork,” Melanie said enthusiastically.

“You think?” Lindsay asked, looking for encouragement.

“I’m very sure,” Melanie replied squeezing Lindsay’s hand.

“And what would you write?” Lindsay wanted to know.

“I don’t know yet. Maybe poetry or the great American novel. I need to try it and see what comes out.”

“We could both be awful failures,” Lindsay reminded her wife.

“Yeah, but who cares? We’d be doing something creative and we’d be together.”

Lindsay’s smile was radiant as she listened to Melanie’s words.

“Mel,” a voice called.

Melanie and Lindsay both looked up to see Jamie and Leda leaving the dining room. They were holding hands, but they waved and laughed seeming to enjoy each other’s company.

“They look very happy tonight,” Lindsay observed.

“Yeah.”

“Are you jealous that Leda seems to have found someone?”

“No, are you jealous of Jamie?”

Lindsay made a face. “Not at all.”

“I have everything I want right here at this table,” Melanie told Lindsay. The sincerity of her words rang true and clear. “I love you.”

“I love you too,” Lindsay said as they leaned across the table to exchange a tender kiss.



*****



“Hello?” Mel whispered groggily into the phone.

“Good morning, this is your wake up call,” the disembodied voice cheerfully informed Mel.

“What time is it?” Mel asked as she attempted to clear her sleep sticky eyes to look at the clock.

“It’s eight in the morning.”

“Eight?! Why the hell would you wake us up at eight?”

“What’s going on?” Lindsay asked as she woke up to an angry spouse.

“This asshole gave us a wake up call,” Mel griped as she waited for a response from the operator.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I thought we left you an itinerary,” the voice said apologetically.

“Itinerary?” Mel said. “Hold on.” Lindsay quickly got up and went for the itinerary they had left on the desk last night. “I got it.”

“See the first item on your agenda? It’s a special light breakfast that was arranged for eight-thirty in your suite. If we didn’t wake you then...”

“I get it. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to snap at you. We didn’t read the itinerary last night. We were, um, distracted.”

“Understandable, ma’am. You still have time; your first spa treatment is at nine-thirty. You have plenty of time.”

“Thank you and I’m sorry I yelled at you.”

“It’s okay. Enjoy your spa day.”

Melanie hung up the phone then looked at the clock. “Lindz, we have twenty minutes before breakfast shows up and we begin our spa day.”

“Then I say we take a page out of Brian and Justin’s book.”

“What would that be?” Mel asked as if she didn’t know.

“Let’s shower together,” Lindsay replied with a sparkling smile. The girls leapt out of bed to start their day.



*****



“I thought you quit working on Saturday’s, boss,” Ted remarked as Brian walked through the front doors of Kinnetik.

“Time and advertising wait for no man, or in this case, a dyke,” Brian snarked. They heard a rumble and roar of a motorcycle engine, then silence. Leda walked into Kinnetik. “And there’s the dyke. Morning, Ms. Leda,” Brian drawled, making a slight bow.

“Morning, Mr. Brian,” Leda answered as she curtseyed, shaking her hair out from the confines of her helmet.

“Schmidt!” Brian bellowed.

“Yeah, boss,” Ted responded, eager to do Brian’s bidding.

“Send someone over to the diner to pick up some muffins and popovers. Let’s feed these people who insist on working on a Saturday,” Brian commanded as he cocked his head toward several members of his staff who were hard at work. And he wanted a popover too.

“The diner? Not the bistro?”

“Yes, the diner. Our very enterprising Lacy has entered into an arrangement with Emmett. He now supplies the diner with all sorts of delectable tidbits, including...”

“Popovers?” Ted ventured knowing Brian’s penchant for them. Brian nodded. “On my way.”

“Ted, I didn’t mean you. You have more important things to do.”

“Bri, for Emmett’s delicacies, I’d crawl down Liberty on my hands and knees. I’ll only be gone a few minutes.” Brian grinned as he showed Leda into his office.



*****



“So what does all of this tell me?” Leda asked as she used her muffin to point to the report laid out on the table.

“The results of the research indicate that the straight male market is the way to go.”

“You must be proud of yourself; you were right,” Leda begrudgingly acknowledged.

“I’m always proud, and I’m rarely wrong when it comes to advertising, but you do realize that you came to me very late into the riding season. So I’ve come up with a multi-phase campaign.”

“What the fuck does that mean?” Leda said getting her ire up. “You’ve proved your point, start advertising.”

“Leda, if we market your bikes up here, in the North East, we have perhaps two months left in the riding season. Less if we get a freak blizzard.”

“What about Christmas? Maybe some wife will want to surprise her bike riding hubby.”

“And then the bike sits in the garage all winter. Wifey gets pissed because she spent all that money on something hubby can’t use until the spring thaw. And they argue all winter long about the waste of money that they could have used on little Johnny’s braces. No.”

“So what’s the solution?”

“We have Perspectives advertise the bikes on the West Coast. Remember, it never rains in California or however the fuck that song goes. N’rgy will concentrate down south. Just after March madness, Kinnetik will begin the campaign for the North East. By the time Pride rolls around, your dykes will have a new ride vibrating between their thighs.”

“I like the sound of that,” Leda admitted. Brian refreshed her cup of coffee and then his own.

“I thought you might. I propose a toast,” Brian said as he raised his coffee mug. “To Lethal Motorcycles, long may they rumble.”

“To Lethal Motorcycles,” Leda reiterated, raising her mug to take a sip then she took a large bite out of another muffin.



*****



“Oh my god!” Lindsay cried out in ecstasy.

“Th-th-th-this i-i-i-s s-s-so in-cred-d-d-ible,” Mel stammered as a pair of strong hands pummeled her back.

The girls had enjoyed a light fruity breakfast that was satisfying and yet did not make them feel overly full. Then they started off the spa day with manicures and facials and then they each had a pedicure. During the pedicure they girls were treated to dainty finger sandwiches and mimosas. After, and giving them time to digest, the girls had their hair styled. Now they were enjoying a vigorous deep tissue massage.

They were currently sharing the same treatment room with two very large Slavic women who were administering the massages. When the girls were just at the point where they couldn’t stand any more torture, the massage became soothing. The lights dimmed, fragrant incense burned and the sounds of the sea were heard in the background.

“Mmmm,” Lindsay and Mel both sighed.

“I think I may fall asleep,” Melanie murmured as a warm oiled stone caressed the bottom of her foot. The masseuse attending Lindsay was gliding warm stones across her back.

“Heavenly,” Lindsay groaned.

The girls were then wrapped in warm sheets and left to luxuriate.



*****



“Hey,” Justin said as he walked into Brian’s office. Brian had concluded his business with Leda and was just putting his papers into his briefcase.

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian said with a kiss to Justin’s lips. “Where’s the Squirt?”

“Umm...”

“Um?” Brian parroted as he raised an eyebrow.

“I brought her over to my Dad’s for a visit. Molly came over with Taylor,” Justin said with downcast eyes. Brian raised Justin’s chin with a finger to look into Justin’s penetrating blue eyes.

“When you left her was she happy?”

“Yes.”

“Then let me buy you lunch. We’ll have dessert with the Squirt later.”

Justin graced Brian with one of his sunniest smiles, as the lovers left Kinnetik for Emmett’s Place Too for a late lunch.



*****



“That was quite a workout.”

“I agree. I’ve never been handled like that.”

“Did you enjoy it?”

“Very much.”

“Do you think you’d like to try it again sometime?”

“After a sufficient recovery time, I’m sure I can be convinced. And you’re looking way too smug for your own good.”

“I’m just so happy and pleasantly satisfied.”

“Me too.”

“So what should we do now? It’s too early for dinner.”

“I suggest a nap and then a nice dinner later. When I’ve sufficiently recovered, you can demonstrate your prowess with our new toy again,” Leda purred into Jamie’s ear.

“You enjoyed it that much?”

“I wouldn’t want to do it again if I didn’t enjoy it. Besides it was nice to lay back and let someone else take the lead. I don’t allow it too often.”

“I realize that. Leda, I know I’m not as experienced as you are, but I’m willing to learn and to gain your trust. I’m hoping this relationship goes beyond this weekend.”

Leda tenderly kissed Jamie.

“That’s exactly what I want too. I never thought this would ever happen to me but I’m realizing that I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” Leda and Jamie cuddled close; the room smelled like their lovemaking.

“Then let me grow old with you,” Jamie whispered as she fell asleep in Leda’s arms.



*****



“I’m not sure if I can walk. My bones have been turned to Jello,” Lindsay said as they slowly made it to their room after their sauna.

“I think I need a nap,” Mel said as she unlocked the door with her swipe card.

“Great idea. Nap now, whatever later,” Lindsay agreed as she locked up.

The girls stripped off their clothing as they stumbled to the bedroom. They collapsed onto the bed with their limbs entangled and went to sleep.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 11



Warning: lesbian sex



*****



The girls entered the elegant Plaza dining room wearing simple yet classic attire, a suggestion from Emmett when he confirmed the spa day with them. Lindsay and Melanie were shown to their table where a bottle of Cristal was chilling in a bucket.

“We didn’t order this,” Melanie remarked pensively.

“Mr. Kinney sent it along with his compliments,” the maitre d’ explained.

“Is Brian here?” Lindsay asked as the maitre d’ held her chair. She looked around the room for Brian.

“I don’t believe so, madam. But he left explicit instructions for tonight’s menu.” The man poured the champagne, made a small bow then turned to attend to other patrons.

“Kinney must drop some serious coin at the Plaza to have them do his bidding, especially when he’s not around,” Melanie quipped as she picked up her glass.

“Mel,” Lindsay began in that disapproving tone of hers.

“I know. I should be more appreciative. This weekend has been beyond my wildest dreams, but enough about the almighty Kinney. I propose a toast. To you and me and our life together. Lindsay, I finally realize that we do have a life. A good life. And I don’t need a fancy house or the latest model sports car to prove it. We have wonderful children and we’re both accomplished and respected in our fields. Our future plans can only enhance what we already have. To us!”

Lindsay gave her spouse a beautiful smile as she raised her glass. “To us,” Lindsay repeated.

The girls gently clinked their glasses then sipped their champagne as the waiter brought them their first course.



*****



“Oh my god!” Leda cried out as she came. She was up on all fours blissfully being plowed by Jamie who was wearing one of the largest strap-ons known to man or woman. Jamie shuddered with her own orgasm then gently pulled out. She collapsed next to her lover.

“That was hot,” Leda murmured.

“Yeah,” Jamie agreed. Her stomach agreed as well with a loud gurgle. The girls giggled at the sound.

“I suppose that means I should feed you,” Leda commented with a smirk. Jamie’s stomach took that moment to agree. Leda rolled over to reach the phone. She called room service to order a couple of their baked salmon specials with the works and a couple of bottles of wine. After she hung up, Leda snuggled closer to Jamie.

Leda patted Jamie’s belly then marched her fingers lower to where the base of the strap-on met Jamie’s pubes. Leda found the bud below it and began to rub slow circles around it. Her ministrations became more vigorous. Jamie came again, desperately trying to catch her breath. Before Jamie could, Leda mounted her and rode her for all she was worth until room service came knocking on their door.



*****



“Mom?” Brian said into his cell phone, as he sat at the curb waiting for Justin to get Bree from Craig’s house.

“Brian! So good to hear from you,” Joan replied.

“I know, I’ve been a bad son lately. So much has been going on.”

“Brian, no need to explain, I keep up with the grapevine,” Joan said smugly.

“You do?”

“Of course, I do. I keep up with all the latest goings on in the family. Danny still helps out Michael at the comic book store once a week. Emmett and Drew visit our bookstore at least twice a week, and Debbie and Carl often drop in. We now have a very extensive travel book section thanks to them. So I get all the news. And Danny has put me in charge of a lending library,” Joan announced proudly.

“A lending library? What’s that?”

“Some of Hunter’s young people can’t afford to buy books. Many of them have returned to school or just found out that reading can be very pleasurable. We’ve set aside a section of the upper floor as a small lending library. There are novels, self-help books and even some textbooks that people have donated. It’s all on an honor system. You take a book, you bring back a book.”

“And it’s been working?” Brian asked with amazement.

“And it’s increased our regular patronage as well. Apparently some of the professors from Carnegie Melon and PIFA heard about it. They’re some of our staunchest supporters.”

“Incredible,” Brian said then paused. “Mom, what are you doing for dinner?”

“I haven’t given it much thought. I’ve only just walked in the door.”

“How about we bring something, including dessert,” Brian added, as he spied Justin and Bree coming out of Craig and Susan’s door. Bree was carrying two large plastic bags stuffed with homemade cookies. “The princess has been visiting with her Gampa Craig.”

“That would be lovely, dear. Why don’t I see if Deb, Carl, Jennifer and Seth can come over too? We can make it a potluck dinner.”

“Excellent suggestion, Mom,” Brian said as he bade her goodbye then got out of the Cherokee to open the doors for his family.



*****



“So the girls have decided to give Gus half a car for his birthday?” Carl asked as he scooped up another forkful of Debbie’s lasagna. Brian was letting the grandparents in on Gus’ birthday plans. As it turned out, Deb, Carl, Jennifer and Seth were all free to join them at Joan’s house for an impromptu dinner party. Everyone brought something. All Brian had to bring were more beverages and the fixings for a salad. Bree was pleased to supply the dessert.

“Yeah, the munn, um, the moms decided to set up a special account for Gus to buy a practical vehicle next year. They want Sonny Boy to do a little more growing up before he starts whizzing all over Pennsylvania,” Brian explained.

“Makes sense,” Seth agreed, as did Carl. He had seen too many teen accidents during his time on the force. Allowing Gus to grow in maturity was a wise decision.

“But, Dada, Gus is big already,” Bree said as she raised her little hand up as high as she could. All the adults stifled their giggles.

“Baby Girl, what Dada means is that they want Gus to mature a little more before he drives so that he drives responsibly,” Justin explained.

Bree pondered that for a while. “Ooohhh, like ‘Don’t Drink and Drive’ and ‘Buckle Up, It’s the Law’.” Bree had learned a lot in school and from a few public service announcements as well.

Brian put down his knife and fork. “Well, if there was ever any doubt that she’s your daughter, there’s the proof. I give you Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor, the next generation of PSA Taylors,” Brian announced to the gathered family.

They all looked at the matching perplexed stares on Justin and Bree’s faces and laughed. Brian gave both his blonds kisses.

“Don’t worry, Sunshine, we all love your PSA’s,” Brian said as he picked up his utensils to continue to eat his diner.

“Brian, dear, I’d like to contribute to the car fund, if I may,” Joan said after the laughter had died down.

“That’s not a bad idea,” Carl added.

“So would we,” Seth jumped in, after getting an approving nod and smile from Jennifer.

“And with whatever is left over, maybe the girls will keep it in the bank until JR is old enough to drive. She’s growing up so fast,” Debbie said wistfully. “You know, I still can remember the day I brought Michael home from the hospital,” she said with a sigh as only a mother could.

“Bet he was a whiny brat back then too,” Brian mumbled around a piece of garlic bread. He received the inevitable cuff to his head that he deserved, and the glare that accompanied it. “I love you, Maw,” he drawled as he leaned over to give Debbie a kiss. “And I love him too,” Brian whispered. Debbie smiled as she gently smacked Brian’s cheek.

“Speaking of the girls, where are they this weekend?” Jennifer asked. Brian grabbed Justin’s wrist to check the time. It was a little past seven.

“Well, if my calculations are right, they should be just about ready for dessert,” Brian quipped loudly then sat back to wait for the barrage of questions.



*****



“I don’t think I can eat another bite!” Lindsay exclaimed as a busboy began to clear the table. She patted her full belly.

“Neither can I,” Mel agreed, slightly pushing back her chair. Just then the waiter appeared at their table. “No, I don’t think either one of us is up to dessert at the moment,” Mel was quick to explain.

“Your dessert has all been arranged by Mr. Honeycutt and is in your suite. The maitre d’ will be escorting you to our piano lounge. There’s a wonderful performance by one of our local talents. Your dessert will be delivered when you’re ready to leave the lounge,” the waiter explained to the stunned ladies. “Ladies,” the maitre d’ said as he held their chairs then extended an elbow to each lady. “It would be my pleasure to escort you two lovely ladies to our lounge,” the man said formally. The girls took an arm each and were guided to the lounge.



*****



“That was delicious!” Jamie said as she gushed over their dinner.

“Yes, it was.”

“Do we have to go back to reality tomorrow?” Jamie asked sadly.

“I’m afraid so,” Leda confirmed. “But I’ve made a reservation for brunch, if you’d like to join me,” Leda said, hopeful for a positive response.

“Oh, I feel just like a princess! I’d love to brunch with you. I came here once a long time ago for brunch. A maiden aunt of my mother’s was celebrating her 80th birthday. They had her party here. I never forgot it.”

“Then here’s to one more fabulous night and a relaxing brunch tomorrow,” Leda said as she raised her wineglass. They clinked glasses then drank their wine.

“Jamie, if you have time this week, I’ve made an appointment with Jennifer Taylor. She’s a local realtor who comes highly recommended. I’m ready to settle down and plant some roots. I’d like you to be a part of it. Please don’t think I’m pressuring you. We’ve only known each other for a short time. But I’ve learned that this town and its surrounding territory has a lot to offer and perhaps it’s time for me to stop my wanderlust. I want to buy a modest home, perhaps with a little land around it, have a small garden. I’ve heard that gardening can be very therapeutic.”

Jamie extended her hand to cover Leda’s.

“I’d be very happy to go house hunting with you. You just tell me when,” Jamie assured her. Leda smiled. Sometimes changes were a good thing.



*****



It was after nine when Mel and Lindsay returned to their suite. In the middle of the room, the dining table was set with candles. Fresh fruit dolloped with fresh whipped cream and lightly drizzled with dark chocolate and raspberry sauce, graced the table. Coffee and tea in a silver service accompanied the dessert.

“This is amazing!” Lindsay said as she gazed at the elegant spread.

“I’m sensing Emmett’s touch,” Mel said as she dramatically closed her eyes and touched her forehead with her fingers. “Only a queen of his caliber could do this.” The girls shared a laugh.

“Would be a shame to waste all this,” Lindsay said as she coyly dipped her finger into the whipped cream then slowly licked it off.

“Yes, it would,” Mel said huskily.

“Then let’s enjoy our dessert before we enjoy our dessert,” Lindsay suggested with a bat of her lashes as she sat down at the table.

“Let’s,” Melanie agreed. The girls settled in for their last evening at the Plaza.



*****



Brian grabbed Justin’s wrist one more time. It was around nine. The grandparents were helping Joan clean up. Bree had divided up one bag of cookies to share with everyone.

“What is it now?” Justin asked.

“Oh nothing,” Brian said with an evil smirk.

“Spill, kiddo. I know that look,” Debbie commanded as she pointed a sharp fingernail at him. Brian’s grin became more pronounced.

“Well, the girls should be back in their suite by now and enjoying one of Emmett’s love creations,” Brian said smugly.

“What’s a love creation?” Seth asked.

“Fresh fruit, fresh whipped cream and a little dark chocolate and raspberry sauce. A creation to put anyone in the mood for luuvv,” Brian said with exaggeration.

Debbie laughed out loud while Joan and Jennifer blushed.

“That sounds good, Dada. Can we have some someday? Cause I love you!” Bree said as she threw herself at Brian, wrapping her arms around his legs then looking up at him with her big blue eyes. Brian blushed a deep shade of red as he bent to pick her up then kissed her cheek.

The family all laughed heartily.



*****



Around nine in the morning a phone rang.

“Good morning, this is your wake up call. And we’re confirming your reservations for brunch,” the voice said.

“Thank you,” Lindsay said breathlessly as she returned the phone to the cradle just as Melanie was fingering her and sucking on her clit. Mel raised her head.

“Who was that?” Mel asked with a lopsided grin.

“Wake up call,” Lindsay answered back.

“You awake?”

“Very.”

“Good,” Mel said as she returned to the task at hand.



*****



“I want to thank you, Leda,” Jamie said. “I had such a good time this weekend.”

“So did I,” Leda said with a smile as she shifted on her chair. They were at brunch enjoying eggs Benedict. Her nether regions were pleasantly sore due to the rigorous workout she had sustained the previous night. “My appointment with Mrs. Taylor is for Tuesday afternoon. I’ll call you Monday night with the details. I’m really hoping you can join me.”

“I have early classes that day so I don’t see a problem. My show opens on Friday. I’d be honored if you could be there.”

“I’d love to.”

The girls ate their breakfast quietly, sharing secrets and falling in love.

“Oh look, there’s Leda and Jamie,” Mel said as they entered the dining area. “Shall we say good morning?”

“Yes,” Lindsay replied. Apparently all jealous thoughts regarding Jamie and Leda had vanished. They approached the table, conveyed their greetings then left them to sit at a secluded table of their own.

“They look very happy,” Jamie remarked as she sipped her coffee.

“Yes, they do. Maybe they finally realize just how lucky they really are.”

“I’ve heard they’ve been together forever. I’d like to be that lucky.”

“So would I,” Leda said as she discreetly took Jamie’s hand in hers.



*****



“Dada? Daddy says it’s time for breakfast.” Justin had sent their daughter out into the garden to search for Brian. Although the weather remained warm and sunny, Brian knew it would be soon time to prepare his garden for the winter. He stood in the middle of his garden taking a mental inventory of what he would need and then added more for Molly’s cottage.

“How I ever got roped into being the master gardener for our lane, I’ll never know,” Brian mumbled to himself as he felt Bree’s hand slip into his.

“Because, Dada, you are the bestest at gar-gar,” Bree said, still using her baby word for gardening.

“Thank you, Squirt,” Brian said as he gave her hand a tiny squeeze.

“You’re welcome, Dada,” Bree said as she squeezed back. “Come on, Dada, breakfast.”

“Lead on, McSquirt,” Brian said as Bree tugged on his hand.”



*****



“Follow me down to my office,” Ted said.

Albert Harmon followed the man who had become a kind of mentor and guardian angel to him. He looked around Kinnetik as they walked. “What was this place?” he asked with a frown.

“You mean before it became Kinnetik? It used to be one of Liberty Avenue’s premier bathhouses,” Ted chuckled.

“Bath house?”

“Brian thought it was the perfect place to start Kinnetik. He’s never wanted to move from here.”

“Oh my! I had no idea. The outside isn’t very impressive. Wouldn’t Kinnetik get more important accounts if the outside looked more … inviting, more grand?”

Ted shook his head as they entered his office. “Brian believes that the quality of his work is what brings clients to Kinnetik, not what the building looks like.”

“I guess it’s one of those ‘out of the box’ kinds of things. I never did understand that. I’m too conservative or traditional or … something.”

“Kinnetik is none of those things. That’s what has made it so successful,” Ted said proudly.

“Hm,” Albert replied thoughtfully.

“So what have you concluded about Camp Little Flowers?” Ted asked, deciding it was time to get down to business.

“They had a very good year, quite profitable,” Albert began.

“I know that,” Ted replied. “You said you had some new ideas.”

“Yes, I do. You know that camps have to have a lot of property and it’s only used for a few months of the year during the summer.” Ted nodded. “So the best way I could think of to increase the income for the camp was to use it more often.”

Ted frowned. “And how would we do that? The kids are all back in school.”

“That’s the beauty of it,” Albert smiled. “We would run mini-camps on weekends before all the holidays. In October we’ll have a costume camp so kids can make their own costumes for Halloween. And then a Thanksgiving camp in November, where they could learn all about the holiday and make cornucopias or harvest arrangements. Early December we start Christmas camp, so kids can made Christmas gifts or wreaths for their parents.”

Ted’s eyes had lit up. This definitely had possibilities. “Do you think they could do that all year?”

“There’s Valentine’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day…”

Ted laughed. “And you say you don’t think out of the box! I love it,” Ted told Albert, earning a big smile from the man. “And you have the agreement of the camp personnel to do this?”

“Oh yes. The head mistress, as she likes to be called, would run most of these camps herself. She’s very crafty … as in arts and crafts, not as in sly,” Albert chuckled.

“I would hope so,” Ted replied. He was learning that he really liked Albert Harmon.

“This would give the camp additional income almost every month during the year until summer rolls around again.”

“I like it,” Ted smiled. “But if you’re going to do Halloween, shouldn’t you be advertising that now?”

“Precisely why I’m here.” Albert picked up his briefcase and opened it. He pulled out some crudely drawn pages that would explain what would be offered at the mini-camps, the price and the dates.

Ted took the papers and glanced through them. “The artwork’s a little crude,” he laughed.

“Not my forte,” Albert said. “But I think we covered everything else.”

“I really like this idea, Albert. I think Brian would allow the Kinnetik people and their facilities to produce a more, shall we say, professional looking brochure.”

“Excellent,” Albert grinned. “I was hoping you’d say that. The other thing I wondered was how you people decide where to advertise.”

“Hm, you’re right. I’ll speak to Brian and see what suggestions we can come up with.”

“Good, so that takes care of the immediate projects. Perhaps you have a moment to look at the long range.”

“Sure,” Ted agreed. He had known Albert would do a thorough job and the man was certainly not letting him down.

“I think we should put in place some plans to make Camp Little Flowers more than just a day camp. It should have a sleepover component, so this is what we’ve been discussing, not for the next year or so, but in the future…” Albert pulled out some papers and laid them out on Ted’s desk.

The two men poured over the proposals and financial implications. Ted smiled the whole time. Albert Harmon was worth his weight in gold. Camp Little Flowers was in for some big changes.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 12





“Hey, Ray,” Gus said with a smile as he answered his cell phone.

“Hey, yourself. How’s tricks?” Ray joked.

“Jeez, you sound like my Pop when you say stuff like that.”

“Your Pop is pretty cool.”

“Yeah, he is,” Gus agree. “What prompted this call?”

“I was thinking about you.”

“Really?” Gus asked flattered that Ray might think about him spontaneously. He thought about Ray all the time lately.

“It won’t be too long until I get to see you,” Ray said waiting for the response he hoped that statement would bring.

“I can’t wait either.”

And that would be the correct response, Ray thought to himself. A big smile spread across his face. “My dads decided to buy me a plane ticket to Pittsburgh. They were hoping to be able to come for your birthday too, but business isn’t cooperating.”

“That’s too bad,” Gus said and he meant it. “I always enjoy being with your dads.”

“Only because you don’t have to live with them,” Ray joked.

“Too much ‘rents makes for dull sons,” Gus replied with a chuckle.

“And we’re definitely not dull boys,” Ray declared.

“But you’re coming and that’s the main thing.”

“Thanks for saying that. My plane ticket gets me in on Friday around dinnertime. Would somebody be able to pick me up at the airport?” Ray requested.

“You know I have the biggest extended family in the universe,” Gus laughed. “I’m sure we can find someone to meet your plane.”

“When do you get home from Penn?”

“The moms are picking me up Thursday night. I only have one Friday class and I don’t think it will hurt if I miss it. I could use a long weekend.”

“Finding university tough?” Ray asked.

“No, not really tough, as in academics. But I do miss everybody. I’ve made friends, but it’s not the same as having family to depend on,” Gus admitted.

“Oh, you mean the biggest extended family in the world,” Ray teased.

“Excuse me, but that would be the biggest extended family in the universe, not just this puny old world.”

“I stand corrected,” Ray chuckled. Then his voice grew soft but serious. “I really am looking forward to seeing you. Do you think we’ll have any time alone to talk or … whatever?”

“I’ll make some time,” Gus promised.

“That sounds good,” Ray said. Then he sighed. “I should let you go.”

“Yeah, I have a paper to finish.”

“Work hard and make that huge family proud.”

“I intend to,” Gus replied. “And I can’t wait till my birthday. See you soon.” Gus closed his cell phone and set it down beside the computer. He stared at the screen trying to think about his paper he had to write. But all he saw in front of him was Ray’s face.



*****



“Daddy, is Gamma Joan coming to Gus’ birfday party?”

“That’s birthday, Bree.”

“’Kay, birthday,” she repeated carefully. “Is she?”

“Of course she is. She’s Gus’ grandmother too.”

“Can I give Gus a half a car too?”

Justin smiled at his daughter. Bree always wanted to participate in anything that was going on, and she truly had a generosity of spirit that was unmatched. Justin liked to think that she got a lot of that from Brian who was always doing things for people whether they ever knew about it or not.

“I think we have the half car covered, Bree. But we do need a really nice card to go along with it. Do you think you could make one for us?”

Bree nodded her head, her little ponytails bouncing on each side of her face. She smiled at her father. “I can do that.”

“I think Gus would be very pleased to get one of your cards to go with his gift.”

“Can I start now?” Bree asked.

“Let’s go find you some nice paper to use,” Justin said as he headed for the sun porch. He felt Bree slide her hand into his and he had to smile. He had the world’s best daughter.



*****



“Theodore, get your ass in here,” Brian said into his phone.

Within a few seconds Ted was standing in front of his desk. “What’s wrong, Boss?” he asked obsequiously. He couldn’t think of anything he had done to bring down Brian’s wrath upon his head.

“What the fuck is this?” Brian asked. He shoved a piece of paper in Ted’s direction.

Ted picked up the paper and looked at it. It was one of the preliminary ads for the weekend mini-camps at Camp Little Flowers. “It’s just a start,” Ted said uncertainly.

“Who is responsible for this piece of shit?”

“MacLean,” Ted replied.

“Would you care to tell me why Kinnetik has hired such a mediocre adman? And I use the term adman with some difficulty.”

“Um,” Ted stammered, not sure how to reply. He had known the ad was piss poor, but Kinnetik was doing the work for free, and it was only for a very limited audience that would be interested in the craft workshops that Camp Little Flowers would be giving.

“I do not take ‘um’ for an answer,” Brian stated, glaring at Ted. “I left this in your hands, and this is what you come up with?”

“I … I didn’t want to use a lot of valuable time to make the brochure. It’s not that bad,” Ted said rather pathetically.

“And it’s certainly not good! Kinnetik does not put out crap work for any reason. If it’s not good work, it does not leave these premises. Do I make myself clear? Now, get MacLean to do this properly or you can join him on the unemployment line.”

“Yes, Boss, of course, Boss,” Ted said quickly. He turned to leave the office.

“Theodore!”

Ted turned around to look at Brian. “Yes?”

“For future reference, do not ever allow something this inferior to go beyond your office. I won’t have it. If it’s done by Kinnetik, it’s done properly. No, make that, it’s done fabulously.”

“Yes, Boss. Will do, Boss.” Ted hustled towards the door.

“Oh, and Theodore…”

Ted froze wondering what Brian was going to hit him with next. “Yes, Boss.”

“I’ll see you at Gus’ birthday party.”

Ted smiled just a little bit as he turned to look at Brian. “Of course.”

“Good.”

Ted beat a hasty retreat out of the office before Brian thought of something else to torment him with.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine.”

“Hey.”

“I’m about to leave Kinnetik. Will dinner be on the table when I get there?”

“Of course, sire, all your favorite dishes served by the finest wenches,” Justin teased.

“Wenches? Who asked for wenches?”

“Servingmen, butlers?” Justin asked with a smile on his face.

“I was hoping for scantily clad slaves.”

“Hm, I might be able to arrange that for you.”

“Think you can still get that bubble butt of yours into a loin cloth?” Brian asked.

“I think I might be able to.”

“Why don’t you save that for after dinner? We haven’t played master and slave for quite a while.”

“That’s true, but I think it’s my turn to be master.”

“Shit!”

“Now, now, you know you like it when I make you grovel and beg and then fuck your ass off.”

“I’m getting hard,” Brian groaned.

“Then get your ass home so we can eat and get on with the really important stuff,” Justin ordered.

“I’m on my way.”

Brian set down the phone with a big smile on his face. He was out of Kinnetik in under a minute.



*****



“Mrs. Taylor? I’m Leda Thalberg,” Leda said extending out her hand as she walked into Jennifer’s realty office. Jamie was with her.

“Call me, Jennifer. And I’m Mrs. Harris now,” Jennifer said proudly. “I have a few properties all lined up for you to look at; however, I’d like for you to tell me a little more about what you envision for your home.”

Leda and Jamie sat down, accepting the coffee Jennifer offered. Leda wasn’t quite sure what to make of the lovely petite woman who looked very confident sitting behind her desk. Leda had dealt with many real estate agents in the past, leasing apartments all over the country, wherever her bike took her, but none were as striking as Jennifer Taylor, now Harris.

“Jennifer, as I said on the phone, I’m looking for a house, not a condo or co-op,” Leda said most impatient with the questioning.

“Houses come in many shapes and sizes,” Jennifer stated, nonplussed at Leda’s attitude. No one could be any more demanding than her son-in-law, Brian Kinney. Jennifer whipped out dozens of examples of potential houses. She knew she had made her point when she heard the dramatic sigh emanating from Leda.

“I had no idea,” Leda admitted.

“Not many people do and that’s why you hire me. You obviously are a serious buyer and I have done my research. So let’s try narrowing it down to location.”

“I’d like to stay close to Liberty Avenue, if possible, but away from all the noise. It’s still like Pride out there every Friday and Saturday night.”

“I understand. Unfortunately, on this side of town,” Jennifer pointed to a map of the city, indicating near Tremont, “there are very few houses for sale. Over on this side we have many possibilities.” Jennifer pointed to the area now known as the Village.

“From what I remember, that area was a disaster,” Leda said with a snort. Jamie was about to contradict her when Jennifer jumped in.

“That area has gone through quite a change,” Jennifer said proudly. Her family had a lot to do with that change too.

“Here?” Leda exclaimed, not believing what she was hearing, pointing to the same map.

“Yes. And the properties are going fast. I do have one particular listing that may interest you. It’s a modest home, almost a cottage and it’s set back, away from the street. It has a bit of land around it so you’re not right on top of your next door neighbors. The cottage is a bit run down though. The original owner passed it down to his family. The last owner was a woman who never married and is the last of the family. Due to poor health, she was forced to move into an assisted living apartment. She wants to sell but is hesitant.”

“Why?” Jamie asked, finally getting up the nerve to contribute to the conversation. It was, after all, Leda who was buying the house.

“The owner would prefer to sell to someone who would fix up the place, not knock it down. She’s holding out, but her health is failing her. She may not get her wish.”

“May we look at it?” Leda asked seriously. If the cottage was anything remotely like the ones she saw and stayed at, at Edna’s Treasures, Leda wanted it.

“Of course. We can go over now,” Jenn said as she grabbed her purse and the envelope containing the keys and the folder on the cottage. “Let’s take my car,” she suggested, wanting a captive audience.



*****



Jennifer took the scenic route to the property in question. She slowly drove through the bustling but yet quiet community now known as the Village.

“Boy, I have been away for a long time,” Leda murmured from the passenger seat of Jennifer’s car. “I remember that apartment house but it looked like it was standing on its last legs. And this was all vacant lots. Now, it’s...”

“Now it’s a viable community providing homes and employment for some of Pittsburgh’s reformed youth. That flower shop is not only a store, but the Smiths live there as well. Emmett opened his restaurant next to his partner’s sporting goods store. The Village prides itself on being a little bit of old fashioned country living in the middle of a big city.” Jennifer’s explanation included the history of the Village.

“Hey, that’s my bike!” Leda said as Jennifer slowed down. A Lethal Bike was parked on a rotating platform in front of Drew’s store. It was getting many favorable and longing looks from customers going in and coming out of the store. “Damn, he was right,” Leda grumbled to herself.

Jennifer drove down the other side of the street so that Leda could see the garden, the bookstore and the Village Diner. Then she drove a few more blocks to a quiet street. Toward the end of the street which was terminated at a cul-de-sac, stood the cottage Jennifer spoke of. The quaint cottage was set back from the street. There was a small red maple tree off to one side in the front of the cottage. Neatly trimmed hedges edged the perimeter and lawn of the property. The long driveway ended in a modest garage.

Jennifer parked out front.

“Can we have a look inside?” Jamie asked with a bright smile. Jennifer smiled at the young woman who reminded her of Molly. Jennifer nodded as she held out the keys.

“This is like stepping back in time,” Jamie said with awe. As an artist, Jamie could see all the possibilities and appreciated the simple design of the cottage.

“Why does this cottage seem familiar?”

“You’ve been up to Edna’s Treasures, haven’t you?” Jennifer asked Leda.

“Yes, how do you know?” Leda asked with suspicion in her voice.

“When you walked into my office, you addressed me as Mrs. Taylor and in business I do go as Jennifer Taylor. You may know my son.”

“Wait!” Jamie said excitedly, “Justin Taylor is your son!”

“Yes, he is,” Jennifer said proudly.

“I met him when he was planting his ‘henge.’ And he’ll be there on the second day of the Emerging Artists show at the Sidney Bloom Gallery. He’s a wonderful person. He’s such an inspiration in the arts. I teach at PIFA; he’s always contributing something to the institute.”

Jennifer blushed as Jamie extolled the virtues of her son. “Justin told me that you visited the cottage recently. Brian is working on a campaign for you.”

“Yes, but I’m not supposed to discuss it.”

“Not to worry. It was only mentioned because both Brian and Justin wanted me to handle your account personally and not give it to an associate. Neither of them discuss their business,” Jennifer reassured her client. “This cottage may have been built or designed by the same person who built John and Bobby’s cottage. The arrangement of the rooms is a duplicate of their cottage which actually didn’t start its life as a cottage. Their home is the original cookhouse for a larger mansion that no longer exists. There were many such mansions on this side of town two hundred years ago. It is conceivable that this cottage survived them all.”

The ladies took the tour which was basically done in fifteen minutes. The cottage was small.

“If this is an old cookhouse, somewhere around here should be a door,” Jennifer said as she knocked on some panels on one of the kitchen walls. One large panel gave a hollow sound. Jennifer took a chance and pushed on it. They all heard a little click then the panel opened about an inch. Jenn opened the door wider to reveal the root cellar. It hadn’t been used in years but with renovation, could become a usable basement.

“How did you know?” Leda asked.

“Ask Justin about the time he found a dozen...”

“Kinneys!” Jamie shouted out. “I know that story. Justin found JAB Kinney’s paintings in an old root cellar. I had no idea it was something like this.”

“And that’s the house John and Bobby live in?” Leda was floored. “I want this house, and your recommendations on who to hire to fix it up.”

Just then a knock on the door brought the ladies toward the front of the house.

“Hello! Anyone home?” Gordon Smith had been hired by Jennifer to inspect the house and keep it from falling down before it could be sold. He smiled when he saw Jennifer and extended his hand. “Miss Jennifer! I thought I saw your car drive by. I was helping my Betsie with a delivery.”

“Gordon, just the man I wanted to see,” Jennifer said as she shook the big man’s hand. Jennifer made the introductions then asked if he and John would take on the job of renovating the cottage, with Leda’s approval, of course.

“I’ll go call the boss-man and have him work up an estimate. You know I have no head for figures,” Gordon teased.

“Liar,” Jennifer shot back. “You just leave John the hard part.”

“That too!” Gordon and Jennifer laughed.

Then Jennifer turned to address the girls. “Gordon is John Anderson’s business partner in Anderson Construction. Their company did all the work on the Village. Gordon and his wife own the flower shop.”

“And we live there. My Betsie has become the Debbie Novotny of the Village,” Gordon said proudly. “The kids come to her when they need a little motherly advice or TLC. But we digress. John and I just finished up a big job in Harrisburg. Working on this cottage would be a nice change. Plus I can use some of our kids.”

“Kids?” Leda was puzzled.

“During the construction of the Village, John and I and our crews instructed many of Hunter’s kids regarding the construction business.”

“Are you trying to tell me that the Village was built by a bunch of ex-hustlers and street kids?” Leda nearly shrieked.

“No, I’m saying that Anderson Construction built the Village while mentoring some of Hunter’s kids as they learned the basics about construction. Many have gone on to pursue a career in construction, plumbing and electrical engineering. It’s not just book learning; you need hands on experience.”

Leda nodded. She remembered ruining her first motor scooter by taking it apart to learn what made it tick. She still had that scooter in storage somewhere. “All right, you’re on. I’ll have Jennifer give you a call after I finalize the sale.”

“Gordon, why don’t you and John work up the estimate and the plans?”

“Sounds good to me. I’ll give John-boy a call!” Gordon announced cheerfully as he headed out the door.

“I think this calls for a celebration,” Jennifer said. “Would you like to go for coffee at the Village Diner? You’ll get to know your neighbors,” Jenn said as she looked at Leda and Jamie. The girls nodded.

“Jennifer,” Leda began seriously as they were closing up the house. “Doesn’t any of this faze you?” Leda asked. Jennifer appeared too comfortable in her dealings with Leda.

“I’m not sure what you mean?”
“Me, Jamie and a whole town built by hustlers.” Leda wasn’t used to having a very straight person, especially a straight woman, accept her at face value. All Leda’s life she had to fight for whatever respect she wanted and earned. Jennifer had the air and comportment of a woman from the 'good side of town' and yet was comfortable having a conversation with a construction worker and a dyke.

“Leda,” Jennifer began in her most patient mother type tone. “At seventeen my son was nearly killed just for being gay and for eighteen years he’s been in love and has been loved by Brian Kinney. Nothing fazes me anymore,” Jennifer said nonchalantly as they got into her car and drove to the diner.



*****



“The Bloom Gallery, how may I help you?” Lindsay answered the phone very professionally.

“You can come home soon so I can ravish you in the shower then ravish you after dinner and then again after dessert. Better yet, you can be my dessert,” Melanie said seductively into the phone.

“Oh my!” Lindsay panted. The weekend at the Plaza, plus the couples counseling that they promised to continue was doing the trick. They were acting like newlyweds and making love like newlyweds as well.

“I have a few more things to do here but then I’m closing up on time. The new show opens soon. I want everything to be perfect.”

“I have no doubt that it will be.”

“What are you up to?”

“I’m helping JR with her homework and dinner’s in the oven keeping warm.”

“Dinner? It’s kind of early.”

“Debbie was just here with a massive tray of lasagna. She said all it needed was some salad and a good wine. I guess everyone in the family knows about the Plaza.”

“Does that bother you?”

“No. Not anymore it doesn’t.”

“Why? You always hated that everyone knew our business, even more than Brian hates his privacy being invaded.”

“Because they are our family. And we can count on them and they’ve proven their love and loyalty time and time again. My family couldn’t care less that I’m the most successful one of them all or that we have two wonderful children. And your parents don’t give two shits about me or the kids either.”

“True. Our relationship has lasted the longest in my family, give or take the few bumps we’ve had. My sister is what, on her fourth, fifth husband? And they keep paying for the weddings.”

“I guess Kinney was right.”

“About what?”

“That you can teach an old bitch new tricks.”

The girls hung up but not before promising each other another night of passion.


Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 13





“Dada, do you like my card?” Bree asked as she handed Brian a large sheet of folded paper.

Brian took the paper and looked at the side of it that was on top. It contained a large rainbow running from side to side. Bree’s trademark brown and black had been added to the traditional colors of the rainbow. Across it Bree had printed in her neatest lettering: “Happy Birthday, Gus, my bestest brother.”

“It’s beautiful,” Brian responded, giving Bree a hug.

“Open it,” Bree ordered.

Brian flipped open the folded paper. Inside was a drawing of a black car. “This looks like…”

“It’s your old Jeep,” Bree said with a big smile. “Daddy showed me some pictures of it. You and Daddy looked real young in the pictures.”

“Did we now?” Brian chuckled. “I’ll have to speak to Daddy about revealing our secrets.”

Bree frowned. “Is the Jeep a secret?” she asked seriously.

“No, Squirt, the Jeep’s not a secret.”

“But you said…”

“I was just kidding.”

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully. “Do you think Gus will want a black Jeep like you and Daddy had?”

“Hm,” Brian said. “I don’t know that Gus would want a black Jeep, but he might … just like Daddy and I had,” Brian laughed.

“What’s funny, Dada?” Bree asked, curious.

“Um, nothing, Bree. I was just reliving my misspent youth.”

“Huh?”

“You’ll understand when you’re a little older.”

“Okay,” Bree replied. She didn’t understand anything her Dada was saying, so maybe it would be better to wait until she was a little older. Sometimes grown ups were pretty silly. “Are you going to sign the card for Gus?” Bree asked.

“I could do that. What color should I use?” Brian could see that Justin had already signed near the bottom of the page. He had written Gus a little note and signed his name in sunshine yellow.

“Pink!” Bree replied decisively.

“Pink? Isn’t that your color?”

Bree shook her head. “I’m using purple for Gus.”

“How appropriate,” Brian chuckled.

“What do you mean, Dada?”

“Um…” Brian wasn’t sure what to say.

“Is this another thing I need to be older for?” Bree asked.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian agreed deciding to take the easy way out. “Where’s your pink crayon?”

“I get it,” Bree said as she ran over to her little table where her stash of crayons was laid out. She came back with a pink one for her father and a purple crayon for herself. “You sign first, Dada,” Bree instructed.

Brian thought for a minute and then wrote, “To the best son any man could have, Pop.”

“That’s good, Dada,” Bree said as she printed, “To the bestest brother any sister could have,” right below where Brian had written.

“I think we should get this laminated,” Brian said looking at their handiwork.

“Laminated?” Bree asked.

“I’ll take it into Kinnetik. We have a machine that will coat the paper with clear shiny film so that it will be preserved. It’ll make the paper stronger so that it will stand up.”

“’Kay, Dada, but take good care of my card.”

“I will, Squirt,” Brian chuckled. “Go put your crayons away. It’s almost time for bed.”

“’Kay.”

Brian watched his daughter carefully place her crayons back into the large box where they were stored. She was almost as anal as he was about her art supplies. With a shake of his head, he took the card up to his office and placed it in his briefcase so he wouldn’t forget to take it to Kinnetik the next time he went into Pittsburgh.



*****



“Mel,” Lindsay said as she snuggled up against her life partner. They were sprawled on the sofa, Lindsay’s head lying in Mel’s lap.

“Yes,” Melanie replied, her fingers running through Lindsay’s blonde locks.

“Are you still interested in that property out near Edna’s Treasures?”

“Yes, but you didn’t seem all that interested when I told you about it.”

“Maybe I just needed to get used to the idea. I’ve been thinking about it ever since,” Lindsay said with a sigh.

“And what did you decide?” Melanie held her breath as she waited for Lindsay’s reply. They had been getting along so well since the weekend at the Plaza. She didn’t want to get into a conflict with Lindsay about the property, no matter how much she would like to have it.

“I decided that we should go look at it,” Lindsay said smugly.

“You did, huh? What made you decide that?” Melanie couldn’t help but smile.

“I know you really seemed interested in a getaway place of our own, and the more I thought about it, I can see why.”

“Oh, and why do you think I want it?” Melanie was interested to hear the answer to that question.

“I think we do need some creative outlets. I agree with you on that.”

“But…?”

“No but! I thought at first about asking Brian for a piece of land in the lane at Edna’s Treasures,” Lindsay explained. “He would give it to us cheap.”

“Yeah, he probably would,” Mel said with a scowl. She knew Lindsay couldn’t see her face. The last thing she wanted was another reason to be beholding to Brian Kinney.

“And then I realized that would be a mistake.”

“A mistake?” Melanie was puzzled.

“Yes, this should be a place for us. We should find it and make it ours, and it shouldn’t have anything to do with Brian.”

“You decided that?” Melanie asked in amazement.

“I did,” Lindsay said proudly. “Brian has done a lot for us, but we both make good money. We don’t need to be in Brian’s debt over this. We can swing it on our own, can’t we?”

“Yes, I’m sure we can,” Melanie said with a smile. “But we haven’t even looked at the place yet.”

“Then maybe it’s time we did.”

“We could call Jennifer,” Melanie suggested.

“Let’s do that tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? It’s not that late now.”

“I know,” Lindsay giggled, “but I was thinking there might be something more interesting to do … up in our bedroom.”

“Bedroom? Oh, yes, definitely more interesting,” Melanie agreed as she leaned over and kissed Lindsay’s soft mouth.

“We can call Jennifer tomorrow.”

“Yes we can.”

“So let’s go upstairs,” Lindsay said sitting up.

“Yes, let’s.”

The two women climbed the stairs kissing softly all the way to their bed.



*****



“Brian? We didn’t expect to see you so soon?” Ted commented as he saw Brian standing at the laminating machine. Brian had been spending a lot of time at Kinnetik lately.

“You should always expect the unexpected when it comes to me,” Brian said snidely.

“And I certainly never expected to see you working the laminating machine. I nearly laminated myself to the damn thing before I got the hang of it.”

“I make it a point to be able to handle any equipment I expect my staff to handle.”

“Naturally. Uh, Bri, if I’m not being too forward, may I ask what it is you’re laminating?”

“Being forward is a plus in this business, but if you must know, it’s a birthday card that Bree made for Gus.”

“May I see it?” Brian nodded as he carefully handed the newly and perfectly laminated card to Ted.

“It’s quite unique,” Ted said.

“Yes, it is,” Brian said proudly.

“Her rainbow contains more than the traditional colors and I love the flowers at the end of it. Sunflowers and daisies?”

“Yes, Bree happens to like sunflowers and daisies.” Ted had a strange expression on his face. Brian wasn’t sure if he liked it or not. “Schmidt!” Brian growled. “What is going on in that brain of yours?”

“You know that brochure for the camp that MacLean has been working on?”

“You mean that piece of trash that he’s supposedly working on?”

“Yes.”

“What about it?”

“May I suggest using a contract artist for the job,” Ted said as he stared at Bree’s rainbow.

“Schmidt, don’t we have enough artists around here to do the job? Why do we need to contract this job out?” Brian asked impatiently.

“Did I say a contract artist? I meant to say a very, very special contract artist,” Ted said as he handed the card, rainbow side up back to Brian.

Brian looked down at the card, Bree’s rainbow with all its diversity of color shining back at him. He smiled and nodded at Ted.

“Let me consult with the prospective contract artist’s agent and I’ll get back to you,” Brian said as he took himself and the card back to his office. Ted smiled as he returned to his desk.



*****



“A cottage?”

“Yes.”

“Near Edna’s Treasures?”

“Yes!”

“Did you happen to jot down the name and number of the realtor?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, give me the information and I’ll get back to you.” Jennifer wrote down a name and number on her pad.

“Thank you, Jennifer. We really appreciate this.”

“You’re quite welcome, Melanie. I’ll speak to you soon,” Jenn said then hung up the phone. “Well, that’s interesting,” Jennifer mumbled.

“What’s interesting, sweetheart?” Seth asked as he walked into Jennifer’s office. They had a ‘date’ for lunch.

“That’s the second client this week interested in buying a cottage.”

“A cottage?”

“Yes. First an old acquaintance of Brian and Justin’s, and now Mel and Lindsay want one.”

“The girls are interested in a cottage?”

“Apparently.”

“That is interesting. I’m sure you’ll be a great help to them but it will have to wait. We have a date for lunch,” Seth said confidently.

“Yes, we do,” Jennifer said hesitantly.

“My dear?” Seth asked. He had an idea their lunch would indeed have to wait.

“Let me just make one phone call. I wouldn’t want to lose the cottage due to our stomachs.” Seth nodded then pointed to the phone. Jennifer called the number, had a brief conversation then thanked the person on the other end of the line.

“All done?” Seth asked.

“For now. The cottage is available. It’ll need some work but it’s doable.”

“No doubt another job for Anderson Construction.”

“No doubt.”

“Time for lunch?” Seth asked hopefully.

“Time for lunch,” Jennifer confirmed, giving her husband a kiss. She grabbed her purse and her husband’s hand as they walked out of the office.



*****



“Dada! Dada! Dada!” Bree shouted when she heard the familiar roar of the Corvette’s engine driving up the lane. Bree had just finished her homework and was keeping her daddy company while he was preparing dinner. Bree made a dash out the front door, her bare feet made crunching sounds on the pebbled walkway.

“Briana Victoria!” Justin shouted, holding her sneakers in his hand. Briana had acquired the habit of walking around barefoot. Not really surprising, considering who Bree’s older father was. Justin shook his head as Bree took a running leap into Brian’s arms.

“Oomph!” Brian got the wind knocked out of him. “What is with these blond Taylors, always jumping into my arms,” Brian groused as Bree kissed his cheeks. Brian returned the kisses then smiled fondly at his other blond Taylor who had his own kisses to bestow. Brian arched a brow at the sneakers in Justin’s hand. He looked down at the little feet swinging by his sides.

“She is your daughter,” Justin exclaimed.

“Hmm. Squirt, your daddy and I have something to discuss with you,” Brian said as he shifted Bree to one side so he could carry her and his briefcase into the house.



*****



“Unca Teddy wants to use my rainbow?” Bree said as she scrutinized Gus’ birthday card that she had entrusted to her Dada. After careful inspection, Bree approved. Much to Brian’s relief.

After Ted had made the suggestion to use Bree’s rainbow on the Camp Little Flower’s brochure, Brian immediately called Justin. Justin saw no problem with it as long as Bree approved.

“Yes, Squirt. Uncle Ted thinks that your rainbow will look wonderful on the camp’s brochures and posters,” Brian explained. Bree appeared to be seriously contemplating the proposal.

“What do you think, Daddy? Should I let Unca Teddy use my rainbow?”

“I think it’s a great way to start off your career as an artist,” Justin said proudly. “But only if you want to. And Dada will make sure you have a contract and get paid.”

“Can I buy ice cream with the money I make? I’ll share with Patrick and everybody!”

“I think you may make enough money for ice cream, Squirt.”

“Okay, Dada. Okay, Daddy. If you think it’s a good idea, Unca Teddy can use my rainbow. But I get to use it whenever I want ‘cause it’s my rainbow.”

“Maybe I should consult with Bobby. We may have to copyright, Bree’s rainbow,” Brian said.

“You do that, Bri. Right now I better finish cooking dinner,” Justin said as he left Bree to draw another rainbow for her Unca Teddy and Brian to consult with Bobby.



*****



“Hello,” Lindsay said into the phone as she picked it up.

“Hi, Lindsay, it’s Jennifer.”

“Got good news for us?’

“Yes,” Jennifer said with a smile. “The property you were interested in is still available. We could go have a look at it tomorrow if you’d like.”

“Let me check with Mel,” Lindsay said quickly.

Jennifer could hear some discussion going on although Lindsay had her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone.

“Jennifer,” Lindsay said after a minute. “Would it possible to go see this place after work, say around five-thirty?”

“I could arrange that. It will still be daylight at that time, even after we drive out there.”

“Then we can see the outside as well as the house?” Lindsay asked.

“We should be able to do both. I’ll contact the other real estate person and make the arrangements.”

“Will you find out the costs and … anything else we need to know.”

“I already have the asking price,” Jennifer explained. “And we can decide once we’ve looked at the place if it’s anything like what you want. There should be lots of time. The place has been on the market for five months, and I don’t think they’ve had much interest at all. It is in kind of an isolated area.”

“Sounds perfect,” Lindsay replied.

“Perfect?” Jennifer asked.

“We’re looking for a getaway place where we can be alone. Isolated would fill the bill.”

“I guess it would,” Jennifer laughed. “Meet me at my office as soon as you can after work, and we’ll drive out there together.”

“It’s a date,” Lindsay said before she cut the connection.



*****



“Hello, Leda, Jamie, come in,” Jennifer said as the two women entered her office.

“Good to see you again, Jennifer,” Leda said. Jennifer had asked them to call her by her first name. Leda was happy to oblige.

The two women sat down, and Jennifer watched Jamie slide her hand into Leda’s where it rested on the arm of her chair. This seemed to be her day for dealing with lesbian lovers.

“I’ve drawn up a preliminary offer on the cottage,” Jennifer said sliding some papers across her desk.

Leda looked them over. She noted the sum they had agreed upon clearly printed near the top of the page. “Do you think we can get it for that?” Leda asked.

“Not likely. It is pretty low, but we left room to go up a bit. It shouldn’t be much below the final price,” Jennifer stated.

“But they’ll want to negotiate.”

“They usually do,” Jennifer laughed.

“Then I’ll leave the negotiations to you. You know how high I’m willing to go. I want that house.”

“We shouldn’t have to go anywhere near your top price.”

“Do what you have to do,” Leda replied.

“Sign on the dotted line and I’ll get started. You should be the proud owner of that cottage in a day or two.”

“See that it happens,” Leda stated, as she scrawled her signature on the indicated lines.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 14



Warning: More lesbian sex



*****



“Hey, Sunshine, whatcha up too?” Brian asked as he came up from the spiral staircase and into the attic office. Justin appeared to be going over his portfolio.

“Ummm...”

“You know, I am beginning to dislike that non-word. Spill,” Brian demanded.

“The Emerging Artist show opens this weekend.”

“I recollect hearing something about that,” Brian snarked. That was all he had heard about for the past two months. One emerging artist in particular had certainly made an impact on a part of Brian’s family. “You’re making your appearance on the second night.”

“Yes, to show my support.”

“Been there, done that. Get to the point.”

“Uh, Sidney wanted me to look over my portfolio and pick out what I think are some of my best pieces.”

“No doubt ones that portray my dick, are your best pieces,” Brian deadpanned.

“No doubt. But I should have a variety of work.”

Brian slid the large and heavy portfolio closer to him. “This one, this one and this one,” Brian said without hesitation as he pointed to three of his portraits.

“Brian, I said a variety. These are all your nudes,” Justin said incredulously.

“This is a variety, Sunshine. Me, lounging naked on the brass bed. Me, all lathered and naked in the shower and me, fabulously naked and sexy sprawled on the big chair. See? A variety,” Brian said with a confident smile. Justin had no reply. In truth, he could never get enough of painting nudes of Brian. Brian took note of the forlorn expression on his lover’s face, and his smug smile faded. He sat back in his chair and patted his lap. “Come here, Sunshine,” Brian whispered. Justin immediately sat in the proffered lap. “What is it?”

“Sidney has been getting offers to exhibit some of my work in London.”

“And?”

“I’m very flattered. What artist wouldn’t want to be displayed in a major London gallery?”

“But?”

“I can’t bear the thought of leaving you and Bree. I don’t want to go there alone.”

“Who says you have to go alone?”

“You would come with me?” Justin asked, his eyes lighting up with hope.

“Don’t I always come with you?” Brian smirked.

“Brian, I’m serious.”

“And so am I. Justin, you are a major talent. For the most part you can arrange your schedule of appearances for your own convenience. It’s no secret that you have a partner and a family. If we orchestrate this right, we can turn this into a family vacation. Maybe take Gus. I certainly will not let you go alone and I will not go without the Squirt.”

“What about school?”

“We get all of Bree’s assignments from her teachers. Maybe we can take Joan or Rachel with us. Either way, Sunshine, we go as a family.”

The lovers took a moment to wrap their arms around each other. Brian nuzzled Justin’s soft blond hair, inhaling the familiar scent then kissing that spot behind Justin’s ear. He could hear Justin softly sighing contentedly.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin murmured into Brian’s lips. “I love you,” he whispered again and again as he kissed his lover. Wordlessly, the lovers decided to move over to the office futon, where they made love until it was time to get the kids from school.



*****



As Jennifer and the girls pulled up in front of the quaint cottage that was nestled amongst trees and overgrown shrubs down a lonely road, they spied a familiar big black Navigator parked in front. John got out of his SUV as Jenn parked her car.

“What are you dong here?” Melanie asked with a suspicious tone in her voice.

Nonplussed, John remained calm when he answered. “I happen to know the owners of this cottage. We had some business dealings years ago. When they learned some ‘city folk’ were interested in buying the place, they wanted to make sure the offer was genuine. They also wanted my opinion on the state of the cottage. I know it’s only been on the market for a short time but this poor old place hasn’t been maintained as it should be,” John explained shaking his head. “I had no idea you two were interested in it.”

“Um...” Lindsay stammered thinking John was insulted that they hadn’t asked for land at his lane.

“Listen, Anderson, we want a nice quiet place but not right on top of you and...”

“Brian. I can understand that. I imagine some of that soul searching you did at our place has led you ladies to this conclusion.” Melanie and Lindsay nodded. “You’ve made an excellent decision.”

“We have?” Lindsay asked. She still wasn’t all that sure she shouldn’t have approached the Kinney men regarding purchasing some of their land.

“I realize this place is somewhat off the beaten path; however, you’re not all that far from us. If you needed something, we could be here within fifteen minutes by car. Less if we just followed the stream. Your stream is the same as ours. And yet you can maintain your privacy. So let’s examine this poor old girl and see if we can breathe some life back into her.”

The ladies agreed and followed Jennifer into the cottage.



*****



“So what do you think?” Jennifer asked the girls. They had been roaming the cottage and grounds for the better part of an hour. The girls had grown quiet. John was making notes about potential repairs that would be needed to make the old place habitable. The cottage had been neglected and was in desperate need of repair. John could see some mold along one wall and the roof toward the back of the cottage wouldn’t stand a harsh winter snowstorm.

Melanie was angry, believing they were just wasting their time. Lindsay was so disappointed that she wanted to cry.

“It’s horrible, isn’t it?” Jennifer said then sneezed from the musty odor. “Let’s get out of here,” she suggested as she led them toward the door. “I’m so sorry. It didn’t look that bad from the outside,” Jennifer apologized, even though she wasn’t really handling the sale. They were about to drive back to Pittsburgh when the local realtor drove up.

“Hi, folks! What do you think about the place? It’s a steal,” the real estate agent said with gusto.

“A steal, I think it’s...” Mel was about to give the man the what for when John stepped up. All six foot three of him.

“Mr. Sylvester, I believe,” John said in a serious tone.

“John? John Anderson! I’ve known your mother for many years. Fine woman your mother,” Sylvester said, turning on his limited charm in hopes of unloading the cottage on unsuspecting buyers. His hopes were rapidly fading.

“Mr. Sylvester, allow me to introduce you to Mrs. Jennifer Taylor-Harris, Ms. Lindsay Peterson and Ms. Melanie Marcus. Ms. Peterson and Ms. Marcus are the potential buyers. I’ve been commissioned by the Somervilles to inspect the place,” John said sternly.

“Yes, old man Somerville did mention something to that effect,” Sylvester mumbled as he took out an old greyed hanky to wipe the sweat off his brow.

“Let me be frank with you. Somerville should be happy if he gets half of what he’s asking for. There’s dry rot in the beams, mold along the foundation and the roof toward the back will leak and collapse at the first snow. Now if you want to get an honest price from these ladies, you’ll either recommend to Somerville to affect repairs immediately or sell the place at what it’s truly worth so that Mrs. Harris’ clients can get a contractor in here to make it livable. And I suggest you do it fast before the walls cave in. This is a disgrace! A beautiful cottage like this left to rot.” John was incensed. He had a passion and a respect for old architecture.

“Mr. Sylvester,” Jennifer began calmly, “have you been inside lately?”

“Well, no, not since I was first contacted by the family.”

“So that was over five months ago,” Jenn confirmed.

“Yes, but...”

“After the Spring rain and before the Summer heat,” John added.

“Well, I...”

“Mr. Sylvester, go have a look inside and send in a building inspector. Then call me after you discuss the findings with the owners. I wager there’s twenty to thirty thousand dollars worth of damage in that house. If you can come up with a fair asking price, we may consider it,” Jennifer said sternly.

The girls said goodbye to John then drove away.

“Mr. Sylvester, this once was a beautiful little cottage. Have your conversation with the Somervilles and do it quick before there’s nothing left of this place to sell,” John said solemnly before getting into his Navigator and driving back to Edna’s Treasures.

When John got home, his phone was ringing. He recognized the number and picked up the receiver immediately.

“Gordo! How’s life in the big city?”

“Getting bigger all the time, Johnny Boy.”

“I wasn’t expecting to hear from you so soon. I thought after that big job in Harrisburg, you were going to take a little R&R?”

“I am, John. Helping Betsie out with these here flowers of hers is like taking a vacation. I even got me an apron with my name embroidered on it. I am a gen-u-ine floral arranger,” Gordon boasted to his long time friend and business partner.

There was a long pause in the conversation.

“Gordo, you’re full of shit, that’s what you are.” John and Gordon cracked up with belly laughs. “Seriously, Gordon, I thought you were taking a break.”

“I am, but there’s a little cottage close to the Village that I’ve been babysitting until the owner could sell it and it looks like there’s a buyer. The lady wants to hire us to give it a once over. I’d like to use some of the locals and some of Hunter’s protégés. It’ll be good for the community.”

“I hear ya. You want me to put together the proposal?”

“Of course I do, you da man, ain’t ya?”

John broke out into laughs again. “Only because you’re too lazy to do it yourself.”

“Hey, insulting me won’t help. I can always quit the building business and go with my second career as flower arranger.”

“Sure you can. And after a week or two full time with Betsie, she’ll take a broom to your backside. I’ll come by the shop in the morning. You can show me the cottage and then we’ll draw up a list of the crew best suited for the job.”

“See! That’s why you da man. See you in the morning, Johnny Boy.”

“Night, Gordo and give my sympathies to Betsie.” John hung up the phone as he heard his best friend laugh.



*****



“Lindsay? Lindz?” Mel whispered.

“Mmm,” Lindsay murmured softly as she turned in Mel’s arms.

“Wake up, you have to get to the gallery,” Mel said gently. Lindsay’s eyes flew open. Mel smiled. “Don’t worry, you have plenty of time. But you won’t if you stay in bed too long. Knowing you, I’m sure everything’s going to be perfect but I also know you want to be there early.”

Lindsay smiled back at Mel. “Thank you,” Lindsay said as she gave Melanie a kiss. The girls had gotten some good news regarding the cottage. The owner was going to significantly drop the selling price to compensate for all the repairs that would have to be done. They had celebrated then made love for most of the night, falling asleep in each other’s arms.

Lindsay glanced at the alarm clock then slipped her hand under Mel’s t-shirt to pinch her nipples.

“I think I have time to make love to my wife one more time before I have to get ready.”

“Yeah?” Mel said with a grin.

“Oh yeah,” Lindsay said with a chuckle as she dove under the sheets to make love to Mel.



*****



“Oh! Oh! OH!” Jamie cried out as she came hard, arching upwards with a powerful orgasm then collapsing back on her mattress. Leda lay next to her wearing a very smug and satisfied grin.

“Do you have any classes today?” Leda asked when she thought Jamie’s brain was functioning again.

“No, not today and even if I did I would have gotten them covered. I don’t think I could have concentrated on a lesson plan today. I’m so excited.”

“I can tell,” Leda teased as she ran her hand over Jamie’s peaked nipples. Jamie captured the marauding hand in hers then brought it to her lips. Jamie kissed Leda’s palm. “You will be there at the show, won’t you?”

“Of course I will. I want to share this with you,” Leda said almost hesitantly.

“You don’t have to. I guess standing around in a stuffy gallery is not very glamorous,” Jamie said with disappointment, misunderstanding Leda’s tone.

“No, baby, that’s not it. I just never wanted to share something like this with someone. I haven’t had someone that I wanted to share a life with for a very long time.”

Jamie smiled serenely. “Then let me share more with you,” Jamie whispered as she kissed her way down her lover’s body, settled between Leda’s legs to suck and lick Leda to her own powerful orgasm.



*****



“Shit, I’m beat,” Jamie groaned rolling her ankle from side to side. It wasn’t often that she resorted to wearing high heels, but she had decided to do the whole attempt at glamour thing for the opening of the Emerging Artists Show.

“You should be feeling like a million bucks,” Lindsay told her as she stood beside the artist.

“I’m exhausted. I can’t believe so many people came to the show.”

“And you sold two pieces.”

“Yeah,” Jamie grinned. “I can’t thank you enough for having faith in me, and encouraging me to submit some of my pieces. I was such a … coward. So afraid that nobody would like my work, and I’d be considered a failure. I’d never have been able to face my students at PIFA if that had happened.”

Lindsay smiled ruefully. How many times had she felt exactly like that herself? She sighed, wondering if she was the one who was really the huge coward. At least Jamie had taken the plunge … finally.

“That was a fantastic show, you two,” Leda said as she strode across the gallery towards Lindsay and Jamie. She kissed Jamie’s cheek and gave her a squeeze.

“I sold two pieces,” Jamie bubbled happily.

“Then we should celebrate,” Leda laughed. “We could go back to my hotel and have champagne and caviar … in bed.”

“Ooh,” Jamie grinned as she leaned against Leda.

“I think you two better get out of here before something untoward happens,” Lindsay laughed.

“Give my best to Mel,” Leda called as they headed toward the front entrance of the gallery.

“Lindsay, there’s people milling around outside,” Jamie said uncertainly as she was about to push open the door of the gallery. “What’s going on?”

Lindsay walked over to them. She could see some girls and women standing outside. They were holding gift bags and what looked like autograph books as well as the catalogue from the show.

“I think they’re waiting for Justin,” Lindsay sighed.

“Justin?” Leda asked.

“They know he’s going to be at the show, but it doesn’t say in the catalogue which night. Since his flower henge went on the internet, he has developed quite a little fan girl following."

“Well, he is cute,” Jamie giggled.

“Good night,” Leda said as she guided Jamie out the door and past the small group of women.

“What’s going on?” Melanie asked as she came up behind Lindsay.

“Nothing really,” Lindsay sighed, as she wondered how Justin would react to his fans when he arrived the following evening.

“You ready to go, or do you have to lock up?”

“Sidney’s going to close up tonight,” Lindsay replied. “I’m ready to go. I just need to get my purse.” She headed for the office.

By the time they walked outside most of the gallery lights were off, and the group of people waiting outside had dispersed. Lindsay was happy they were gone. She and Melanie walked along the street to their car.

“The show went very well,” Melanie said trying to be supportive. It seemed like Lindsay was in a funny mood.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“You don’t sound very fucking happy,” Melanie observed as she unlocked the car.

“The show was fine. Everything went the way it was supposed to.” Lindsay let out a long sigh.

“Then what’s wrong?” Melanie asked as she got into the car. Lindsay got in beside her.

“It was something Jamie said.”

“What did she say?”

“She said that she had been a coward about showing her work. She was afraid she’d never be able to face her students if her work was panned.”

“Do you think it will be panned?” Melanie asked as she pulled away from the curb.

“No, no, nothing like that. Everything I heard sounded positive.”

“Then what’s wrong?”

“She … she sounded so much like me,” Lindsay admitted.

“Oh … I see.”

“You do?” Lindsay asked looking over at Mel.

“Yeah, you’ve been afraid to even do your art for so long. You think it won’t be good enough, and you don’t even have students anymore. There’s no need to be afraid to face them.”

“But I have friends and family … and Justin.”

Melanie glanced over at Lindsay. “You know Justin would never be critical of your work.”

“I know, but I don’t want his patronizing compliments either. If it’s really horrible, I want to know.”

“You have talent, Lindz,” Melanie said, touching Lindsay’s thigh gently. “I know you do.”

Lindsay glanced at the hand on her leg and then into Melanie’s eyes. “Thanks for saying that. It means a lot to me. Maybe I can paint again when we get our cottage. Did you hear from Jennifer today?”

“No,” Melanie said with a frown. “I think Somerville is still considering our offer.”

“Let’s hope he makes the right decision,” Lindsay said. “I want that cottage. We need it.”

“Yes, we do,” Melanie said with a smile. “Have I told you lately that I love you?”

“Once or twice,” Lindsay grinned.

They smiled all the way home.

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 15






“You ready to go?” Brian asked.

“I guess so,” Justin replied as he smoothed down his sweater. The black turtleneck sweater was skin tight and showed off Justin’s slim, but well toned figure.

“You look good enough to eat,” Brian said taking a nip at the part of Justin’s neck he could get at.

“Cut that out or we’ll never get to the gallery.”

“You’re sure you have to go?”

Justin laughed. “I promised. Lindsay and Sidney are expecting me. I want to support the young artists.”

“I guess someone has to do it,” Brian snarked. “I hope there’s something to look at besides vaginas.”

Justin slapped Brian’s chest. “Behave yourself. You know there won’t be any vaginas on display.”

“I know no such thing … and neither do you.”

“What do you mean?” Justin asked as he gathered up their clothes and stuffed them into the bag they had brought. Both he and Brian had spent the afternoon in Pittsburgh, and had come to the loft to change for the show. Bree was home with John and Bobby.

“Isn’t that Jamie woman showing some stuff?” Brian asked. “She’s a lesbian, you know.”

“Yes, I know,” Justin laughed. “Her work is in paper. It has nothing to do with vaginas.”

“How can you be so sure?” Brian asked as they locked up the loft and headed downstairs.

“I just know.”

“You better be right,” Brian griped as they got into the Corvette.

“Your delicate sensibilities will be fine,” Justin promised.

Brian gave his husband a skeptical look as they drove to the gallery.

Brian found a parking spot around the corner from the gallery and they both got out.

“You know we could get a better parking place if you would get ready earlier,” Justin informed Brian.

“I want to look my best,” Brian said with a smirk. “And if I got ready earlier, I’d have to spend more time with the emerging artists.”

“They’re nice people,” Justin said as they rounded the corner.

“You don’t even know them.”

“I’ve met Jamie, and…” Justin stopped talking and then stopped walking as he saw the group of about fifteen people standing outside the gallery. “Why are those people there?” he asked. “Why aren’t they inside the gallery?”

“How the fuck should I know? Maybe the show is really popular,” Brian offered.

“People don’t fill the gallery for emerging artists,” Justin replied knowledgeably. “Maybe they do have vaginas inside. Something has brought out all these women.”

“There he is!” a female voice shouted, and all eyes turned towards Justin and Brian.

“Brian?” Justin asked uncertainly as the women started moving in their direction.

“Stay behind me,” Brian ordered as he hurried forward clutching Justin’s hand and dragging him along. They rushed past the women, as gift bags were stuck out at them and women shoved autograph books in their faces.

Shouts of “Justin! Justin Taylor! We love your work. You’re so cute!” rang out as they hurried past.

“Fuck!” Brian gasped as they burst into the gallery. “What the fuck was that?”

Lindsay rushed over. “I’ve called for security, but they haven’t arrived yet,” she explained quickly. “I only noticed that there was getting to be so many of them a few minutes ago. They haven’t even bothered to try to come into the gallery. They were waiting for you, Justin.”

“Who are they?” Justin asked. “What do they want?”

“They want you! They want your autograph or to give you a gift or to touch you,” Lindsay explained.

“What the fuck for?” Brian demanded.

“It appears that our little Justin has quite a following on the internet,” Sidney answered as he came over to them. “I’ve gotten several requests from people to set up the official Justin Taylor fan site.” He used his fingers to make quotes around official.

“You have?” Justin asked in amazement. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want to bother you with it. Besides, I have a section about you on the gallery site. I thought that was enough.”

“It’s plenty,” Justin replied. “I don’t get this.”

“Gay men are very popular, and apparently these ladies find you very cute,” Sidney laughed.

“I’m not cute! I’m an artist,” Justin declared indignantly.

“They think you’re both,” Sidney replied.

“Wh…what are we going to do?” Justin asked.

“You’re going to talk to the artists and answer some questions for the press that are here,” Sidney said simply. “By the time you’re ready to leave, the security will have arrived and they will escort you back to your car.”

“Thank God we put that gate up at Edna’s Treasures,” Brian said. “You haven’t revealed on your website where Justin lives, have you?” he asked Sidney as an afterthought.

“Of course not,” Sidney replied.

“But there was information on how to find the henge when you first started it,” Lindsay added as a caution.

“Fuck!” Brian reacted.

“Brian, don’t jump to conclusions. I’m sure we’ll be fine,” Justin said trying to stay calm and reassure his volatile husband.

“You fucking better be right!” Brian reacted.

“Brian, come and have a drink,” Lindsay said taking Brian’s arm. “Let Justin do what he’s here for.”

Justin moved over to greet Jamie who seemed to be patiently waiting for him. Brian allowed Lindsay to escort him over to the bar where he got a glass of wine and quickly downed it. His eyes were glued to Justin.

“How the fuck did this happen?”

“Justin is a very popular artist,” Lindsay explained.

“That kind of thing…” Brian said, gesturing to the group of women outside, “…is only supposed to be for rock stars or TV personalities.”

“And handsome young artists apparently,” Lindsay mused.

“I don’t like it,” Brian replied.

“We’ll get you out of here safely,” Lindsay tried to reassure him.

Brian followed Justin around the gallery with his eyes. He didn’t like this at all.



*****



Justin smiled as he was photographed talking to and examining the art work of some of Pittsburgh’s Emerging Artists. Richard and Morgan Connolly were present as representatives of the Times. Seeing familiar and very professional faces, both Justin, and Brian who was watching from the buffet table, were reassured. At least with the Connolly’s involved, the articles would be informative and insightful. Brian was sipping a passable wine when a tall confident woman walked over.

“I didn’t think I’d see you here tonight,” Leda commented as she accepted a glass of wine from a passing waiter or waitress, Leda wasn’t quite sure which.

“Why wouldn’t I be here?” Brian replied.

“I thought events like this would be beneath you.”

“And what would give you that impression?”

“I don’t know. It doesn’t seem like a Brian Kinney thing to do.”

“You mean supporting my partner as he meets and greets.”

“Something like that, yes.”

“Contrary to popular belief, I’ve been doing this for a very long time, when my schedule permits. Even Bree has come to her daddy’s openings, if it isn’t on a school night.”

“And this doesn’t bother you?”

“Bother me?”

“Justin, stealing the limelight.”

“Justin isn’t stealing anything. He’s earned all the limelight he gets. Although, sometimes it can be a pain in the ass,” Brian grumbled as he glanced toward the front door of the gallery. The security firm had finally showed up. The fan girls were behaving themselves and neatly lining up in hopes of catching a glimpse or perhaps an autograph of their favorite artist.

“And what brings you here?” Brian asked as he nibbled on one of Emmett’s pear and blue cheese canapés.

“Jamie invited me.”

“And so you’re here to show her your support.”

“I suppose I am,” Leda shrugged.

“You’ll get used to it,” Brian chuckled.

“You’re finding this all very amusing, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am. Leda, the uber dyke, being the supportive wife. How does it feel?”

“I’m not sure. How does it make you feel?”

“Proud,” Brian replied without hesitation. “I am so fucking proud of him. I’ve watched him grow and become the best man he could become. He’s told the naysayers to fuck off. He fought back from the brink of death to become Justin Taylor, the renowned artist. He’s proof that with dedication, talent and heart, you can become what you’ve set out to be. And he’s still Justin, my partner, and father to a very special little girl. I’m proud to stand here and to be here when he’s ready to go home.”

“Wow. You really mean that.”

“Yes, I do. Can you do that? Do you have the balls to be the wife?”

Leda contemplated Brian’s words. She took another sip of her wine. All those years of living alone, not having anyone to celebrate life’s challenges and triumphs. Leda was ready. Jamie was sweet, loving, very intelligent, talented, and adventurous especially in the bedroom. Leda smirked; she was still a little sore and could swear she was walking bowlegged. No other woman had ever been able to do that for her. A waiter passed close with glasses of champagne. Leda quickly exchanged their empty glasses for two glasses of champagne. She handed one glass to Brian.

“To being the wife,” Leda said as a toast. Brian grinned as he clinked his glass with hers.

“To being the wife,” he agreed.

“Brian, may I borrow you for a few moments, if this lovely lady would permit,” Sidney asked as he briefly joined them. Leda nodded. Brian followed Sidney back to his office where Sidney shut the door.

“I wanted to tell you that I’m flying to London in the morning. I’ll be bringing Justin’s portfolio with me.”

“I know,” Brian sighed.

“Brian, I will not make any commitments without consulting Justin and you. And I don’t believe he’ll have to fly over until after the new year. So, no need to get your knickers in a bunch just yet. Just let the thought and possibilities settle in the back of your head for a while.” Brian nodded then turned to go back into the main gallery.

“Hey, Sunshine, you ready to blow this popsicle stand?” Brian asked as he walked over to where Justin was standing. It was growing late, too late to drive back to Edna’s Treasures. Justin had just finished being photographed with another artist who was exhibiting in the show.

“Yeah, I am, but what do we do about the people outside?”

“I’ve been thinking about that. The security showed up so I think we go out, hold our heads up high, you be your gracious gorgeous self and sign autographs. But I draw the line at signing body parts and underwear, unless they’re mine, of course,” Brian said with a straight face.

“Of course,” Justin agreed. Justin gave Brian a brilliant smile as he placed his hand in Brian’s. Hand in hand they braved the fans.



*****



“Mr. Taylor! Mr. Taylor!” Justin’s groupies called out. Flash cameras were going off repeatedly. Brian watched as gift bags of all kinds and colors were thrust out to Justin in hopes he would take the gift. The security team had put up a line of thick cushioned rope; the fans were standing behind it. Justin felt compelled to sign autographs and to accept the gifts. After a few minutes, the fans were placated and beginning to disperse.

“We love you, Justin!” a few young and giggling ladies called out.

“Thank you,” Justin said to the crowd. “I hope you all go to the show,” he added. Brian took some of the gift bags as two large security men accompanied them to the car. Brian smiled and teased the men shamelessly as Justin rolled his eyes.

“Brian, behave yourself,” Justin admonished his spouse. He knew Brian was only teasing and distracting Justin from thinking about his ‘fans’. “Just say thank you to the nice big security men and get into the car,” Justin said reasonably as he flashed his own flirtatious smile and batted his long blond lashes at the men. The men seemed to know that Brian and Justin meant nothing by their flirtatious behavior. They made sure all was secure then bid the artist and his partner a good night.

“Yes, dear,” Brian replied as he opened the car door, put the gift bags in the back of the car then got in. In a few minutes, the boys were on their way back to the loft.

“Brian, pull over a minute,” Justin requested. Brian complied then waited for an explanation. “Help me with these,” Justin asked as he reached in the back for the bags. Brian reached back to collect all the bags.

“Geez-us, there’s got to be a dozen of them, Sunshine,” Brian exclaimed. “What’s going on in that blond brain of yours?”

“Let’s go through them,” Justin said as he rummaged through some of the bags. Most of the bags contained small boxes of expensive chocolates or cookies. A few contained a small doll or trinket and one had a simple silk flower arrangement obviously inspired by Justin’s floral paintings. All the bags had cards attached or in them. “Bri, do you have a pen?”

Brian pulled out a pen from his pocket to hand to Justin. Justin scribbled some notes on each card.

“What are you doing?”

“Making a note of the gift from each bag. If there’s an address or an email address, I’ll send a note of thanks. As for the rest, I’ll post something on the gallery’s website,” Justin explained.

“But what are you going to do with all the candy and cookies? They’re making my teeth rot just looking at them.”

“Stop exaggerating. Let’s go to the Vic Grassi house; we can give them the cookies.”

“What about all that candy?”

“The clinic. We haven’t visited for a while. We can leave the candy there.”

Brian nodded as he started up the Corvette and drove to the Vic Grassi House.



*****



“I’m proud of you,” Brian said softly as he slowly dragged a soapy sponge across Justin’s torso.

They had got back to the loft tired and a little hungry. They were able to rustle up a light dinner, thanks to the forethought of one Emmett Honeycutt who always seemed to know when Brian and Justin would make an appearance in the Pitts. After, they had decided to shower before going to bed.

“Why?”

“Because you made a lot of people happy today,” Brian murmured as he gently caressed Justin’s pale smooth skin. Warm soapy water sluiced down them both.

“How?”

“Those emerging artists appreciated your time and encouragement,” Brian said as he slowly trailed the sponge up and down Justin’s legs and over his feet.

“Your fans were thrilled that you signed their books and accepted their gifts,” Brian whispered as he shampooed Justin’s hair.

“And the cookies and candy will not go to waste or to your waist where they are now,” Brian said as he bent low to kiss and nip at Justin’s belly making him giggle. Brian knelt down to pay his special attention to Justin’s hardening cock. After Justin came with a loud moan, Brian rinsed him off, wrapped Justin in a warm fluffy towel then led his sleepy sated artist to bed.

“Brian,” Justin whispered drowsily.

“Yes, Sunshine,” Brian answered softly as he pulled Justin close.

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being there with me, for being proud of me.”

“Always, Justin, always,” Brian murmured into the blond hair.

Brian listened to the soft sleep noises Justin was making. He smiled as he gently threaded his fingers through Justin’s soft blond mane. Every once in a while, Justin would mumble incoherently just like Bree when she fell asleep in her Dada’s arms.

“Almost eighteen years, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into the air. “I met you and Gus on the same night and my life has never been the same.”

Justin shifted in his sleep, turning until his face was pillowed against Brian’s chest. Brian could feel the soft puffs of Justin’s breath against his skin.

“Eighteen years of loving, of arguments, fabulous sex and even better make-up sex. Eighteen years of compromises and some sacrifices. Eighteen years of growing and learning.”

In his sleep, Justin snaked his arm around Brian’s waist, his leg found its way in between Brian’s legs. Justin’s lips curled slightly upwards in a soft smile.

“Eighteen years, Sunshine, and I wouldn’t change any of them.”

Brian absentmindedly carded his fingers through his lover’s hair several more times before finally drifting off to sleep.



*****



“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“I’m not calling too late, am I?”

“No, I was hoping you were going to call.”

“Are you excited?”

“Yeah, in more ways than one,” Gus replied as he adjusted himself. He had been reading in bed hoping that Ray would call. The sound of Ray’s voice was doing delicious things to him.

“I mean about turning eighteen and your party,” Ray said with a snicker.

“That too,” Gus said and the boys laughed. “I’m very excited and I can’t wait to finally spend some time alone with you.”

“Phone sex not good enough?”

“Phone anything isn’t good enough.”

“We did start out this relationship a little weird, didn’t we?”

“Is this a relationship?” Gus asked.

“Gus, I know this is a little unconventional, but you were having a hard time getting over that asshole, Cole, and every time I thought Vinny and I were over, he’d come back. Talking to you helped, a lot.”

“Yeah, it helped me too. I was so stupid to fall for Cole’s shit.”

“Gus, a lot of people fell for his shit. And people who were a lot older than you. You were a kid.”

“A stupid kid, led around by my dick.”

“Enough! You’re far from stupid. And you’re no longer a kid. You’re one of my best friends and I hope you’re going to be my boyfriend. My official boyfriend, not just a telephone boyfriend.”

“A telephone boyfriend?” Gus giggled.

“Well, what do you call us then? We haven’t really dated, but we did kiss.”

“We did hang out a lot together when I was in New York, before I met the asshole. I loved sharing cupcakes with you.” The boys were silent for a while. “Ray, we can’t define this as a relationship, can we?” Gus said sadly.

“It does sound very unconventional. But that’s not a bad thing. Let’s look at this logically.”

“Okay,” Gus said as he settled back on his bed.

“We like each other a lot, right?”

“Right.”

“We make each other laugh.”

“That’s for sure.”

“And we both happen to be very good looking,” Ray boasted.

“And modest too.”

“Oh yeah, very modest. And we’re both smart.”

“True.”

“So I can’t see why this wouldn’t work.”

“Um, maybe because I’m in Pennsylvania and you’re in New York.”

“Yeah but at least we won’t get bored with each other.”

“But I might get hairy palms.”

“Sex isn’t everything.”

“No, it isn’t, and I’m kinda happy that I didn’t fuck Cole. He wasn’t worth it.”

“Gus, I’m not...”

“Doesn’t matter, you are worth it. Ray, I’m gonna ask my Pop if we can borrow the loft for the weekend.”

“Think he’ll let us?”

“I’m not sure. I fucked up big time the last time I borrowed the loft without permission, but my Dad loves you and I plan on being honest with him. And it’s not just about the sex. I want to be able to talk to you in person and maybe share a kiss.”

“Or two.”

“Definitely. Ray, I really like you,” Gus whispered.

“I really like you too,” Ray said then stifled a yawn. Gus yawned too. “It’s getting late; I guess we should hang up.”

“Yeah,” Gus agreed but neither boy made a move to hang up. “I really, really like you.”

“Me too. I can’t wait to show you how much.”

“Me too.” The boys sighed. “Night, Ray.”

“Night, Gus.” Reluctantly the boys hung up their phones.




Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 16





“Hi, Pop!” Gus said into his phone.

“Hey, Sonny Boy, and no, I will not tell you what we got you for your birthday,” Brian said sternly. Gus laughed.

“Didn’t think you were going to but that’s not why I called.”

“Oh? And how much is this going to cost me? Where are you, by the way?”

“Nothing, just maybe your trust,” Gus said seriously. “And I’m home with the moms. A guy I knew from high school who’s also going to Penn drove us back together last night.”

“Guuss,” Brian said his name in that exaggerated parental tone that all kids from the beginning of time recognize as the ‘you’re walking a fine line’ tone.

“Dad, number one, Charlie is a year older and is a more experienced driver. He drives back and forth every weekend. Number two, I only have one class on Friday. I spoke to my professor and confirmed my assignments. I’m ahead of the game and a classmate will tape the lecture for me.”

“And PIFA?”

“I’m right on schedule.”

“Okay, so what do you want?”

“I, uh...”

“Spill!”

“IwanttoborrowtheloftformeandRay,” Gus blurted out.

“You want to borrow my loft?”

“Yes.”

“For you and Ray?”

“Yes.”

“Okay.”

“Please, Dad. I promise we’ll be safe and we won’t touch anything and, and we really just want a quiet place to talk and...did you say yes?”

“Yes, Sonny Boy, I said yes.”

“You said yes. Why?”

“Why?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Why not? I trust you and I trust Ray. Simon and Ken are sensible men; they’ve raised two great sons. I would much prefer that you and Ray talk at the loft than in a back room somewhere. Which reminds me, are you and Ray going to Babylon after your party?”

“Are you letting me go to Babylon?”

“Technically, no. I should have you turned away at the door but if you behave and don’t try to buy alcohol, you and Ray can dance your asses off. You do know how to dance, don’t you?”

“Better than you, Pop,” Gus said smugly.

“I did all right.”

“That’s because Justin can dance. He made you look good.” Gus cracked up.

“Gus, let’s put aside the fact that you just insulted your father,” Brian deadpanned. “Just keep in mind that, number one, it’s your birthday and I give phenomenal gifts; number two, I own Babylon; and number three, I also own said loft.”

“Did I say Justin made you look good? I meant to say...”

“Enough, Sonny Boy, I get it. Just play safe.”

“I promise, Dad, and thank you.”

“You better thank me because if the moms find out, I am dead meat.”

“No, you won’t be. I just had a talk with the moms.”

“And what pearls of wisdom did they bestow, and why aren’t my ears burning?”

“Because they said that as long as I cleared it with you, they’d be cool with it. So are you?”

“Am I what?”

“Cool with it too?”

“Yes, Gus, I’m cool. Just use the good condoms.” Brian could almost hear Gus roll his eyes.

“Sheesh, Pop, you’re almost as bad as Grandmaw Debbie.”

“Sonny Boy, no one is as bad as Debbie.” Father and son shared a laugh. “I’ll see you tomorrow night.”

“Okay, Pop. And Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“Love you, too, Sonny Boy.”



*****



“But, Mom,” Gus began.

“I’m sorry, Gus, but with this new artists show, I really have to be at the gallery,” Lindsay explained.

“But I have to meet Ray at the airport tonight. I have to,” Gus insisted.

“Maybe Mel can go with you.”

“Or I could just borrow the car and go by myself,” Gus said hopefully.

“The airport is a very busy place. It can be confusing … even for me or Mel. You need someone with you.”

Gus heaved a large sigh. “I’ll ask Mama,” he conceded.

“Good, you can call her at the office.”

“Okay,” Gus agreed. He picked up the phone and hit the familiar number. The receptionist at the law firm was able to put him right through to his mother. “Hi, Mama,” Gus started.

Melanie smiled. Gus sounded just like her little boy, so sweet and gentle. “What can I do for you, my boy?” she teased.

“I need a favor.”

“You do? What might that be?”

“You know that Ray is arriving tonight?”

“Yes.”

“I want to meet him at the airport. I don’t want him to have to take a cab.”

Melanie smiled. “I can see why. It’s much nicer to have a friendly face there when you get off the plane.”

“Exactly,” Gus replied enthusiastically.

“So, what’s the favor?”

“Mom can’t go with me. She has to be at the gallery for the show. And she doesn’t want me driving out there alone, so I was wondering if you could go with me,” Gus asked holding his breath.

“What time does Ray’s plane get in?”

“Seven-thirty.”

“Oh,” Melanie said slowly.

“Mama?”

“I’m sorry Gus but I’ll just be finishing up a late meeting with a client around that time. I don’t think I’ll be able to help you,” she said regretfully.

“Oh,” Gus said trying to keep the disappointment out of his voice.

“Sorry, Gus, but I just can’t switch this appointment.”

“It’s okay, Mama, I’ll figure something out.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, and if Ray has to take a taxi, we’ll survive.”

“I’d do it if I could. You know that, don’t you?” Melanie tried to assure him.

“I know.”

“I’ll see you later tonight, you and Ray,” she stressed.

“Yeah,” Gus agreed, and then he cut the connection. So much for that idea.



*****



JR came in the front door of her house from school. She was about to head for the kitchen for a snack when she saw her brother sitting on the couch looking very dejected.

“What’s wrong, Gus?” she asked with a frown.

“Nothing,” Gus sighed.

“It doesn’t look like nothing,” JR replied dropping her backpack and sitting down beside her brother. “Tell your little sister what’s the matter,” she wheedled trying to make it like a joke.

“I’m just being stupid I guess,” Gus admitted. But saying that didn’t make him feel any better.

“What’s going on?”

Gus looked into his sister’s worried eyes. He decided he might as well tell her. “You know Ray’s arriving tonight?”

“Yeah, so?” JR wasn’t sure what this was all about.

“I want to meet him at the airport.”

JR grinned. “I think a certain brother has a crush on a certain friend who’s arriving tonight,” she teased.

“I don’t have a crush,” Gus reacted adamantly.

“Okay, okay,” JR replied quickly, wiping the grin from her face. She really did want to help, not make her brother mad. “You like Ray a lot, don’t you?”

“Yes, I like Ray and he likes me,” Gus informed her. “It’s not a crush.” That word made his feelings for Ray sound so trivial.

“Okay,” JR agreed, “it’s not a crush. But I still don’t understand what the problem is.”

“Both moms have engagements that they have to be at around seven-thirty when Ray’s plane comes in. They can’t take me to the airport, and I really want to be there when Ray gets off the plane.”

“Oh,” JR said. She tried to understand what Gus was telling her. “Couldn’t you drive yourself? You have your license.”

“Yeah, for all the good that does me,” Gus griped. “I have a license, but I don’t have a car. Even if I could get one of the moms’ cars, they don’t want me to drive to the airport by myself.”

“Oh.”

“You’re a big help,” Gus told her.

“Did you try some of the other family members?” JR asked after a minute.

“I tried all afternoon. I called Emmett and Ted and Uncle Michael. They’re all working or have some other thing they have to do.” Gus shook his head dejectedly.

“Did you try Gramma Deb?” JR suggested.

“Yeah, right. She’s just who I want with me when I meet my boyfr…” Gus stopped himself before he said that word out loud.

JR giggled before she could stop herself. Gus cut her a look. She cleared her throat and said, “I was just picturing Gramma Deb cracking Ray’s ribs with one of her bear hugs. That would put him in some great shape for your party.”

Gus smiled in spite of his depression. “Yeah,” he muttered.

JR breathed a sigh of relief that she had covered up her giggle. “What about your Dad?” she asked after another pause.

“I … I kind of asked him for another favor already,” Gus said hesitantly. “I don’t want to make him mad or upset by pestering him.”

“Oh,” JR said admitting defeat. “Want a snack? I’m going to get one.”

“No thanks, I’m not hungry,” Gus said staring at the floor. He fingered the pad of his cell phone. He’d have to call Ray before too long and tell him to take a cab from the airport when he arrived.

JR looked at her brother before heading to the kitchen. She really wanted to help him. He looked so unhappy and it was his birthday. She walked into the kitchen and over to the wall phone. She knew what she had to do. She hit the familiar number and waited.

“Kinney,” a voice answered.

“Uncle Brian,” JR said. “Gus needs your help.”

“What? What’s wrong? Is Gus hurt or in trouble?”

“No, nothing like that,” JR explained quickly. “He’s just really sad.”

“Sad?” Brian asked wondering what the hell was going on. He had talked to Gus just hours ago and his son had sounded fine, better than fine, as he waited for Ray to arrive. “I think you better explain yourself, young lady.”

“Gus totally wants to go to the airport to meet Ray, but the moms are both busy and they don’t want him driving out there alone and he’s tried everybody else in the family and they’re all busy except for Gramma Deb and he didn’t think she would be the best one to bring with him to pick up his boyfriend.” JR ended with a giggle as she needed a breath and she realized she had called Ray Gus’ boyfriend.

“Got the picture,” Brian replied. “Thank God you have to breathe every now or then, so I have time to process what you’re telling me.

JR giggled. “Can you help Gus?”

“What time does Ray get here?”

“I think Gus said around seven-thirty.”

Brian looked at his watch. He might be able to make it if he left home immediately. “Leave it to me,” Brian said. “I’ll work something out.”

“Thanks, Uncle Brian. Gus will be so happy if he can go to the airport.”



*****



Gus looked at his watch as he wandered aimlessly around the house. Ray’s plane would be in the air. He should be getting to Pittsburgh in about an hour, and he’d be all alone with nobody there to meet him. Gus let out a sigh and flopped down on the couch.

His birthday celebration was sure starting out in a shitty way. He had wanted this weekend to be perfect and that started with Ray’s arrival. And now that was all screwed up. Ray would arrive with no Gus there to meet him. He’d have to take a cab all by himself to get to the house. Ray had not sounded very happy when Gus had called him a while ago to tell him he wouldn’t be able to meet him at the airport.

“Fuck!” Gus muttered, using the word his father employed so liberally, but Gus chose to use sparingly. Sometimes it was the only word that really got the right sentiment across.

Just then the front doorbell sounded. Gus sat up, wondering who that might be. Maybe Ray’s plane was early. He raced to the door and yanked it open.

“Un…Uncle John? What are you doing here?” Gus stammered.

John Anderson stood in the doorway with a grin from ear to ear. “I’ve come to provide limousine service to the airport for a young man who very much wants to meet his dear … friend when he arrives,” John said with a broad smile.

“But … why … how?”

“I got a call from your father who had received a call from a rather persistent young lady, whom you might happen to know, asking for help for her very sad brother.”

“JR?”

“I believe that would be the aforementioned young lady,” John replied.

“JR, what have you done?” Gus called towards the back of the house.

JR came sheepishly from the kitchen where she had been enjoying her snack while she waited for her Uncle Brian to solve the problem she had presented him with. “I just called Uncle Brian,” she said with a nervous little giggle.

“You shouldn’t have done that,” Gus chastised her. “I told you…”

“I know what you said, but you were so sad, and I didn’t want you to be sad for your birthday,” JR explained with a little smile. She had wanted to fix things for Gus, but she certainly didn’t want him to be mad at her as a result of her efforts.

“If Pop is pissed off at me…”

“Your father’s not mad at anyone,” John said quickly. “And if you want to be at the airport when Ray lands, we need to get a move on,” John told Gus.

“But how did…?”

“Let’s go … now,” John said. “I’ll explain everything in the car.”

Gus took a look at JR who smiled at him, hoping he’d return the same. “Thanks, kiddo,” he said before he ran out the door after his uncle.

“I love you too,” JR said as she stood in the doorway and watched them climb into John’s SUV. She hoped they would make it to the airport before Ray’s plane landed. When the Navigator turned the corner, JR closed the door and went back to the kitchen. She picked up the phone and dialed the number she had used before.

“Thanks, Uncle Brian,” she said.

“No problem, kiddo. Are they on their way to the airport?”

“Yep, just left.”

“It was lucky John was working in Pittsburgh today.”

“Yeah, really lucky, but I knew you’d fix it for Gus … somehow,” JR said with a smile on her face.

“I do my best,” Brian replied.

“I know. I love you, Uncle Brian.”

“Backatcha.”

“See you at the party tomorrow night?”

“It’s a date.”

JR chuckled as she hung up the phone. Uncle Brian was the best.



*****



“Kinney.”

“Hi.”

“Hey, Lindz. What’s all that noise?”

“The emerging artists are celebrating. This is the official close of their show although many of the pieces will remain on display. I think they’re all a little excited.”

“That’s an understatement. Sounds like a football rally. What can I do for you? I’m seeing you tomorrow.”

“I just wanted to say thanks for arranging for John to drive Gus to the airport.”

“No problem. Lindz, are you and Mel really okay with them staying at the loft after the party?”

“I won’t lie to you and say that I’m totally thrilled, but if we said no then Gus would think we don’t trust him. And we really do.”

“Even after the Cole debacle?”

“Even after that. He wasn’t the only one duped. The D.A. said Cole swindled several people in New York. Gus was his youngest victim.”

“Probably thought he was older.”

“Probably. But Gus shouldn’t be punished for that crime.”

“He punished himself more than anyone else could.”

“That’s right. Brian, I trust that Gus and Raymond will be responsible.”

“I’ll give Emmett the heads up. He’ll make sure there’s a fresh supply of, um, supplies just in case the boys’ talk goes a little farther than talking.”

The parents of Gus were silent for a moment.

“Wendy, we’re all grown up now,” Brian said softly into his phone.

“I know, Peter, I know,” Lindsay replied with tears in her eyes.



*****



“Ray!” Gus cried out as he saw his friend walking down the ramp. Ray just had his carry-on so he didn’t have to stop at the baggage carousels.

“Gus!” Ray responded as he spied the tall handsome young man. Ray was a few inches shorter than Gus and a little bulkier but it was all muscle. The boys hugged and slapped each other on the back in greeting. Their eyes met in silent communication, their real greeting would have to wait for a more private location.

“Hi, Mr. Anderson,” Ray said politely to John.

“Hi there, Raymond,” John replied as he shook Raymond’s hand. “And it’s John or Uncle John, if you prefer. Now, let’s get out of here because I have a long drive back home.”

The boys followed John back to his SUV then piled into the back seat so they could sit close. John looked at them in the rearview mirror. He smiled as they were trying to discretely suck face.

“A-hem,” John cleared his throat to get their attention and make them come up for air. “Where am I dropping you boys off?”

“At my house, Uncle John. Ray’s going to spend the night with me at home. The moms want to say hi and stuff,” Gus explained.

“Sounds like a plan,” John said but his comment went unnoticed. The boys were a little busy, again.

Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 17





By the time John got the boys back to Muncherville, it was rather late. John took off immediately for Edna’s Treasures. The boys walked into the house to the tantalizing aroma of Debbie’s lasagna. Their freezer always had an extra pan of lasagna waiting to be defrosted and then reheated. JR was becoming quite the cook with some assistance from Grandma Debbie and Grandpa Danny. Even Joan would, on occasion, drop by with a cake or a whole roasted chicken. The growing teenagers and their busy moms never went hungry.

The boys were helping to prepare the salad when the moms drove up.

“Something smells heavenly!” Lindsay said as she came through the door, kicking off her high heels.

“Somebody please tell me that’s ready to eat!” Melanie exclaimed.

“It’s ready,” JR said out loud.

“Yes,” Mel said as she pumped the air with her fist then gave her daughter a loving kiss and hug. “Thank you,” she whispered appreciatively, making her daughter smile. Lindsay gave JR a kiss then hugged Gus.

“Hi, Ms. Peterson, Ms. Marcus. Thank you for letting me stay over,” Raymond said politely, blushing as he said the words.

“It’s good to see you again, Raymond,” Lindsay said sweetly, shaking the boy’s hand.

“Yeah, good. Why don’t you help me set the table, Raymond,” Melanie said sternly and with a slight growl to her voice. Melanie was several inches shorter than Ray but there was a warning in her tone that made her appear eight feet tall.

“Of course, Ms. Marcus,” Ray agreed. As Ray reached up for the dishes in the cupboard, he assured his boyfriend’s mother, “I like Gus a lot. I promise to be honest with him.”

Mel nodded as she looked into Raymond’s sincere brown eyes. “Make sure that you are. And stay safe.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Ray said as he helped to set the table.

Dinner was leisurely with the kids talking about school, their assignments and the new friends they’d made. Mel discussed the types of cases she was working on, and Lindsay told them all about the Emerging Artists show. It was close to midnight when they all went to bed.

“Uh, moms?” Gus asked as he picked up Ray’s overnight bag. Lindsay and Mel exchanged a look. Mel nodded.

“Go on,” Lindsay said.

“Thank you!” Gus said as he hugged both of his mothers, lifting them off their feet. JR giggled as Gus and Ray sprinted down the hall to Gus’ room then slammed the door shut.

“Boys!” JR lamented as she rolled her eyes then giggled again.

“Yeah, boys!” Lindsay and Mel repeated as they kissed their daughter goodnight and went to bed.



*****



“Ray, I really don’t want to do anything here with the moms right down the hall,” Gus whispered as he stripped down to his underwear and t-shirt.

“Me either,” Ray agreed as he took off his clothes too. “But we can just hold each other.”

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Gus agreed as he yawned wide. The anxiety of the day combined with the heavy meal had made Gus very sleepy. Raymond repeated the yawn. “Let’s go to sleep. We’re going to need our rest for tomorrow.”

“Yeah? Sounds like you have some plans.”

“I do but only if you want to.”

“What do you have in mind?” Ray asked as they snuggled close in Gus’ bed.

“I kinda got permission to take you to Babylon after the party. Only Dad made it clear that drinking anything harder than soda was a no-no and the back room is off limits. But we can dance all we want,” Gus said, hoping that was good enough.

“I’d like that. I’d like that a whole lot,” Ray said as he yawned again. “I must be more tired than I thought.”

“Then sleep. We’ll talk about it in the morning,” Gus said as Ray cuddled closer. Gus could smell the soft scent of Ray’s shampoo and the spicy scent of his cologne. He couldn’t help but touch Ray’s hair; it felt so good in his fingers. Gus had often seen his father caress Justin’s hair and skin. Now Gus knew why.

Gus melded his longer frame to his boyfriend’s then drifted off to sleep.



*****



“Wake up, sleepyheads, breakfast!” JR shouted as she pounded on Gus’ bedroom door.

“What?” Gus said in confusion through his sleep foggy brain.

“Be thankful it’s not Jeffrey waking us up. He’d have hit us with a couple of pillows,” Ray groaned as he stretched his solid muscular body. As Gus joined Ray in stretching, Gus became acutely aware of a mutual problem.

“Um, what are we going to do about these?” Gus asked as he gingerly lifted the sheet that covered them both. The boys took a peek under the sheet. They were both sporting wood which was tenting their respective underwear.

“Uh, I vote we try to piss them away for now, because I think I smell pancakes and bacon,” Raymond suggested as he giggled nervously. In spite of having eaten their heavy dinner the previous night, the boys were hungry again.

“So voted,” Gus agreed as both boys leapt out of bed.

Gus found sweat pants for them both then they made a beeline for the bathroom, where they indeed were able to successfully piss away their problems. Much to their immense relief. The boys were washing up, as they heard JR bellow in her best ‘Debbie’ shout.

“What? Do you guys need a special invitation? Breakfast is getting cold!” JR shouted from the bottom of the stairs then joined the moms at the table. A loud rumble of heavy teenage footsteps was heard scrambling down the hall and down the stairs.

“Thank goodness we only had one son. Can you imagine the noise if we had more?” Lindsay commented as she passed the platter of pancakes to JR.

“I don’t know how Ken and Simon do it,” Mel added as she poured a small amount of syrup onto her pancakes.

“They lend us out to the neighbors,” Raymond said casually, as the boys joined the ladies at the table. “Most of our neighbors don’t have kids,” Ray continued as he and Gus sat down and began to load up their plates. “My brother and I help out with lifting things or light repairs and we work for food!” Ray said nonchalantly as he shoveled a forkful of pancake into his mouth. “Mmm, this is good. Thank you,” Ray said politely.

Gus nodded, his mouth too full to add his thanks.

The moms and JR stared at the boys for a moment then chuckled. “Boys!” all three said at the same time.

Breakfast continued at a leisurely pace.



*****



“Dada, where is Gus’ party gonna be?” Bree asked her older father as she was daintily eating her breakfast.

“At the Plaza, Squirt.” Brian had made breakfast for the whole Edna Treasures family.

“Do I have a new dress for the party?” Bree asked hesitantly. She had learned that not all special occasions warranted a new outfit. And that sometimes she should just make do with the nice things she had in her closet.

“As a matter of fact, you do,” Brian replied. “Your brother doesn’t turn eighteen every day, so your daddy and I thought you deserved a new dress for the occasion. It’s hanging in the hall closet.”

Briana’s smile lit up the sun porch.

“Oh thank you, Dada!” Bree shouted as she jumped up from seat to give her father a hug. Brian blushed and smiled coyly. Justin knew that Brian had been trying to show some restraint when it came to buying everything and anything for their daughter. But this was a very special occasion.

“Brian, what time do you think the party will wind down?” Bobby asked.

“I’m not sure. We’re starting this soiree a little earlier than our usual ‘get-togethers’ in deference to the elders of the family. And I do believe the young man of the hour has some birthday plans of his own he’d like to execute with a certain young man from New York,” Brian said with an arch of his infamous eyebrow.

“However, I have retained my suite at the Plaza for our use tonight.”

“No visit to the loft?” John asked subtly.

“Not by us, anyway,” Brian snarked as John winked at his hapless brother then snickered. Brian then grabbed Justin by the wrist and pretended to look at his watch. “Tick tock, brother dearest. Nine more years and counting,” Brian deadpanned while giving John a poignant look.

John’s eyes widened at the realization that in nine short years his own son would be turning eighteen and possibly planning his own party with his own special mate. John coughed several times then remained quiet for the rest of breakfast.

“What are we counting, Dada?” Bree asked in all innocence.

John paled as Brian snickered.



*****



“Who’s coming to this party?” Ray asked as they were helping to clean up after breakfast.

“Everybody,” Gus sighed. “I think half of Pittsburgh will be there and not just the gay half.”

“You do seem to have a big extended family,” Ray admitted. His own family was rather small, limited to his own immediate family and his fathers’ sisters.

“Yeah, well, you and Jeff and your dads are part of that family too,” Gus said slightly disappointed that Jeff, Simon and Ken couldn’t make it.

“They wanted to come, but the dads really had to work and Jeff has this big project for school he’s working on, but they send their love and presents.”

“And they sent you,” Gus said shyly as he batted his lashes at Ray. His changeable hazel eyes were shining a bright green, at the moment.

“Yeah,” Ray whispered. His own eyes were like pools of smooth chocolate sauce. They stood at the kitchen sink wishing they were alone as their lips moved closer and closer.

“Gag!” JR said loudly making the boys jump apart. “Are you two gonna start acting like Uncle Brian and Uncle Justin, cause if you are then I’m outta here. I’d rather hang with Dad at the comic book store.”

“JR,” Gus grumbled.

His sister laughed. “Gus and Ray sittin’ in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!” JR singsonged, as Gus chased her out of the kitchen and up to her room.

“What’s going on?” Mel asked as she heard the noise and JR’s screams.

“A brother and sister moment?” Ray said with a shrug of his shoulders and flashing his pretty smile. He and Mel heard the siblings laugh.

“Cole hurt him,” Mel admitted out of the blue.

“I know; we talked about it a lot. He thinks he let you down,” Ray confided.

“But he didn’t, and in the end he helped to bring that creep to justice,” Melanie said proudly of Gus’ involvement.

“You know that and I know that, but Gus still feels responsible. He’s still afraid to trust his instincts.”

“What makes you such an expert? You’re not much older than Gus,” Mel snapped back.

“I’ve been out for a lot longer than he has and been dating guys. I’m not an expert and I know we’re both very young but I care a lot about Gus. Our friendship is very important to me.”

“Mama?” Gus said as he walked back into the room. He could feel the tension.

“It’s nothing, sweetheart. Ray and I were just discussing one of our favorite subjects.”

“Which is?”

“You, honey. Your mother is going to the gallery for a couple of hours then we’ll all head to the Plaza at about five,” Mel said, leaving the boys to their own devices.

“Okay, Mama,” Gus said then turned toward Ray.

“We were just coming to an understanding,” Ray said with a smirk, raising his hands in surrender.

“Which is?”

“I don’t hurt you, and your mother doesn’t rip off my balls,” Ray said with a straight face.

“Oh, okay,” Gus replied matter-of-factly. Very few people messed with his mother Mel. “Wanna take a look at my latest project for PIFA?”

“Sure!” Ray said with a big smile. The boys ran up the stairs then slammed the door as they went into Gus’ room.

“Boys,” JR grumbled with a snort from her room as the slamming door shook her bed.



*****



Justin studied the pieces of metal lying in the box. He pushed the tissue paper aside, before picking up the two sections and fitting them together. He chuckled to himself.

“What’s so funny?” Brian asked as he came into the sun porch.

“This,” Justin replied as he held the two pieces, one in each hand, and waved them in front of Brian.

“That’s Gus’ car. Take it easy flashing them around like that.”

“They’re metal. Nothing’s going to happen to them.”

“You might scratch them.”

Justin glared at Brian. “I’m not going to scratch them, unless… Oh fuck! Brian, you’re not going to buy Gus a Ferrari, are you?” Justin asked with worry in his eyes.

“I’m not buying Gus anything until his next birthday.”

“But this model car you had cut in half. It’s a Ferrari.”

“I know.”

“Gus is going to think…”

“I’ll make it clear that he will be getting something a little more practical and … less ostentatious,” Brian assured his husband. “But a Ferrari is a dream…”

“You are not buying him a Ferrari,” Justin stated firmly.

“Isn’t that what I just said?” Brian raised an eyebrow obviously not pleased with Justin’s reaction.

“But it sounded like…”

“There’s no reason that we can’t dream a little.”

“Like father, like son,” Justin said relaxing a little bit.

“Bite your tongue. I’m nothing like my father.”

“That’s not what I meant,” Justin said quickly. “I meant you and Gus.”

“Most young men want a fast car. Didn’t you?”

“Well, yeah, anything other than my mother’s station wagon,” Justin laughed. “And then I came to live with you and there was that sexy black Jeep.”

“Did you think it was sexy?” Brian asked with a funny little grin.

“Everything about you was sexy.”

“And now?” Brian felt compelled to ask.

“Still sexy,” Justin said with one of his sunshine smiles.

“I think someone may get lucky later tonight.”

“I’m lucky every night,” Justin replied. And he meant every word of that.

“Daddy, Dada, when can I put on my new dress?” Bree asked from the entrance to the sun porch.

“I’m wrapping Gus’ present,” Justin said. “Then we’ll get ready.”

“While Daddy’s wrapping the present, let’s get you a bath,” Brian said. “And we can discuss what you will say when you give the present to Gus.”

Justin looked at Brian wondering what he was going to coach Bree to say. “Brian?” he asked with a frown.

“Don’t worry, I have it all under control,” Brian said as he took Bree’s hand and they headed for her bathroom.

Justin watched them disappear into the house. He knew Brian was up to something, but he wasn’t sure what it was. He weighed the two pieces of the car in his hands. He wondered if he should give Gus the driver’s side piece or the passenger side. He supposed it didn’t really make much difference, but he also wanted to send Gus the right message by what was in his present, or more accurately not send him the wrong message.

Justin decided he would use the passenger side of the car for the present, since Gus wouldn’t be driving any vehicle of his own until his following birthday. He hoped Gus would understand. With a sigh Justin pulled out the gift bag and tissue paper he was going to use for the present. He also picked up Bree’s card with her distinctive rainbow on the front. It was beautifully laminated and shiny. He was sure Gus would love it, because he loved his sister so much.

He placed everything in the bag and made sure the tissue paper stuck out just right. Once that was done, he decided he better get ready for the party too. He headed for his bedroom.



*****



“Okay, Squirt, you understand what to say?” Brian asked.

“Yes, Dada,” Bree replied as Brian finished drying her off. He was sitting on the toilet in her bathroom as he handed her underwear to put on.

“It’s really important to get it right.”

“I will.”

“Good girl.”

“I can do it, Dada,” Bree said firmly. “Don’t worry.”

“I never worry,” Brian replied.

“Yes you do,” Bree informed him as she came over to him and placed her arms around his neck.

“I do?”

Bree nodded her head. “You worry a lot, but you don’t like us to know.”

Brian shook his head. “How do you know that?”

“I know lots of things,” she informed him.

“Yes, I’m painfully aware that you do.”

“I’ll do good, Dada. I know what to say.”

“Okay, Squirt. I’ll leave it in your capable hands.”

“Can I put on my new dress now? I want to see what I look like.”

“You’ll look beautiful, Squirt. Like a princess.”

Bree smiled the same smile that her father used when he was truly happy. Brian’s heart melted all over again.

Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Changes

Chapter 18





“Ready for your guests to arrive?” Lindsay asked her son. She straightened Gus’ tie and brushed imaginary hair off his shoulders.

“I’m good, Mom.”

“You … you look so grown up,” Lindsay said with tears in her eyes, as she finally realized that her son was now a man, a gay man, who was planning an evening alone with his boyfriend.

“I am a grown up,” Gus replied gently. “It’s time for me to be a man.”

“I know,” Lindsay sniffed, “but you’re still my little boy.”

“I guess I’ll always be your little boy,” Gus laughed before giving Lindsay a warm hug.

“Got one of those for me?” Melanie asked as she joined them.

“Sure, Mama,” Gus said hugging his other mother.

“I’ll take one of those too,” Ray said as he stepped closer to Gus.

Gus pulled Ray against him and whispered in his ear, “Later.”

Ray’s happy grin radiated around the large ballroom.

“Enough, you two,” Emmett said tapping Gus on the shoulder. “I think your guests are starting to arrive. You should greet them at the door.”

Gus released Ray, somewhat reluctantly, and moved over to say hello to his grandmother Joan and Danny Devore who had just arrived.

“Gus, my boy,” Danny began, shaking Gus’ hand. “You look like a fine young man tonight. That suit is very becoming.”

“Thanks,” Gus replied rather embarrassed to have his clothing analyzed.

“You do look very handsome, Gus,” Joan agreed. “I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful party tonight.”

“Thanks, grandma,” Gus said kissing her cheek. Joan beamed at him.

“Cards and gifts can be placed over here,” Emmett said directing them towards a table just inside the door. “And the bar is open.”

Danny and Joan made their way over to the bar as Justin, Brian and Bree entered the ballroom.

“Gus!” Bree cried as she raced over to her brother and threw herself into his arms.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus laughed as he hugged her tight. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” Bree replied, kissing all over Gus’ face. “I love you.”

“I love you right back,” Gus declared. He set Bree down as his father and Justin approached.

“She got away on us,” Brian said with a smirk.

“It’s impossible to stop her when she wants something,” Gus laughed. “Hi, Pop, Justin.”

“Hey, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he gave his son a hug. “I guess I should stop calling you that,” he added as an afterthought. “You’re not a boy anymore. You’re a man.”

“I think I’ll always be your Sonny Boy, Pop. You can call me that whenever you like, except of course at Babylon. You know?”

“I know,” Brian smirked. “That’s a deal. Happy birthday, Gus.”

“And happy birthday from me too,” Justin said giving Gus a hug.

“Me too,” Bree giggled.

“Have a good party, Sonny Boy,” Brian said. He carried his gift bag over to the table and set it down there. He turned to watch Gus greet more of the family as they came in. Some carried gifts, others cards, all brought best wishes. It wasn’t long until everyone was there and they sat down for dinner.

Emmett had outdone himself with the menu, earning rave reviews from all assembled, as course after course appeared, and then promptly disappeared into hungry mouths.

When the main course was almost over, Brian rose to make a toast to his son on his eighteenth birthday. Everyone heartily toasted with him. Brian gave a nod to Bree who slid off her chair and ran over to the gift table. She retrieved the gift bag that Brian had carried in. She walked sedately over to her brother.

“Gus, Dada said I should give you this first. It’s from all the people on the card.”

“Thanks, short stuff,” Gus said taking the bag from her. He pulled out the card first. “It’s one of your special cards, Bree. Thank you for making it for me.”

Bree smiled and said,” You’re welcome.”

Gus read the happy birthday wish, and then the names of all the people who had signed it. That list included Gus’ father, his mothers, Justin, his Grandma Joan and Bree, Debbie and Carl and Seth and Jennifer. “Thank you all,” Gus said as he reached into the bag for the gift. He pulled out something wrapped in tissue paper and quickly unwrapped it. He frowned as he looked at what was revealed.

Bree began, “Dada said to tell you that this half car is half of the car that you will receive on your next birfday. Everybody con-trib-you-ted,” she pronounced carefully. “It’s half a Fur-Harry, but Dada said you should expect a more practical car next year. He also said it’s okay to dream about Fur-Harry’s until you get your own car. What’s a Fur-Harry? Is it like my fur Bunny?”

Everyone laughed including Gus. “Thanks, I think,” he said and leaned down to give Bree a kiss.

“We’ve got half the cost of a good car in a special account for you. You’ll get the other half next year,” Brian explained.

“Thanks, Pop, and everyone else who contributed. I would have liked the car now, but I can wait,” he said graciously. “I appreciate that all of you did this. I’m sure I’ll get a great car next year, and I can dream about Fur-Harry’s in the meantime.”

Another round of laughter ensued as Gus started opening the rest of his gifts one by one.



*****



“John, can we talk to you for a minute?” Melanie asked as she and Lindsay cornered the man near the bar. Since the guys were staying in the hotel, they felt free to indulge just a little.

“Sure,” John said as he sipped his beer.

“We decided to take the cottage. The owners dropped the price significantly, especially after an independent building inspector came in and did his inspection. The cottage needs work but you already know that,” Mel explained.

John nodded. “I can look over the report for you and clarify anything if you have questions,” he offered.

“Thank you but we’d also like to hire your company to do the repairs,” Lindsay continued. “We know your work and we trust your judgment.”

“We also know that you’d never rip us off,” Mel felt compelled to say.

“When do you want me to begin?”

“As soon as possible. We’re arranging the loan through the bank this week. I can fax a copy of the inspector’s report to you on Monday,” Mel added.

“That’ll be fine. And if you have any special ideas send them to me,” John instructed.

“I have a few,” Lindsay said meekly, as she pulled a piece of paper from her purse and handed it to John.

John carefully unfolded the paper, his eyes lit up as he scanned it. “This is beautiful,” he said with admiration.

“You think so?” Lindsay asked with some disbelief in her voice. “It’s just some thoughts I had. Mel really wants a nice quiet room where she can sit and write, and I’d love a studio. Something like your sun porch but not that big. Your porch seems to go on forever,” Lindsay said with a smile.

“Yes, sometimes I think it stretches all the way back to Pittsburgh,” John said as he flashed his most fetching Kinney smile. Lindsay’s heart nearly skipped a beat; John looked so much like Brian. They had the same smile.

“Lindsay, I’d hire you in an instant as an interior designer, if you didn’t already have a career at the gallery. This is wonderful,” John gushed as he gazed at the sketch that Lindsay had drawn of her vision of the cottage. “All I need is to make this to scale.”

“It’s really okay?”

“Yes, it is. Once I get the report I can incorporate the repairs and your vision into the plans.”

“Thank you!” Lindsay said with her prettiest smile.

“Yeah, thank you,” Mel added as she grabbed Lindsay’s elbow to lead her back to their table.

“What are you up to, brother dearest,” Brian snarked as he sidled up to the bar. “Beam, neat,” he ordered as he casually cruised the bartender who was very good looking and very untouchable in Brian’s eyes. John noticed the eye action.

“Nothing, however, I can’t say the same for you.”

“Old habits,” Brian snarked. The bartender was practically salivating as the handsome Kinney men leaned up against his bar. “What did the munchers want?”

“They want me to renovate their cottage,” John said smoothly. Brian nearly choked on his drink.

“Their cottage?” Brian squeaked.

John grinned.



*****



At the appointed time the lights were dimmed as Emmett rolled in a huge multi-layered birthday cake. Eighteen candles plus one for good luck were ablaze.

The family rose from their seats to sing ‘Happy Birthday’. When they finished, Gus picked up the knife to make the first slice into his cake. A photographer circulated to take pictures of the family, Gus, his proud parents (all four of them) and his cake.

“Pop?” Gus called out as he stepped up to cut into his cake.

“Yes, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he stood beside his son.

“Does this mean what I think it means?” Gus read the inscription on his cake.

“Yes.”

Gus gave his dad a big hug.

Happy Birthday Gus Peterson-Marcus-Kinney!

Gus was so excited about his name that he nearly forgot about the melting candles that were about to ruin the icing on his cake. He ran around the room hugging and kissing everyone present and stating, “I’m officially a Kinney!”

“Hey, Kinney,” Brian’s growl boomed across the room at his son. Gus stopped to look at his father. Brian’s brow was arched. “You wanna blow out the candles. Some of us want some cake,” Brian snarked.

Gus blushed a little then giggled as did the rest of the family. He scooted quickly to the cake to blow out his candles before they became a melted waxy mess.

The whole family cheered as Gus cut the first slice. Emmett’s minions took over slicing then serving the cake.

“Great party!”

“Happy Birthday!”

“I love you, kiddo,” were just a few of the congratulatory remarks said to Gus as the party wound down and the guests were getting ready to go home. In spite of the early start to the party, it seemed to go on forever. The family was very happy and proud to share this moment with their first grandchild.

Brian was seen huddling with Emmett in a corner deep in conversation then he walked over to where Gus and Ray were sitting. Grabbing his son’s wrist to confirm what Brian’s internal clock already knew, Brian leaned down low to whisper into his son’s ear.
“Time for Babylon, Sonny Boy. You ready for this?”

“Yeah, Pop, I think I am,” Gus whispered his reply. Brian ruffled his son’s hair giving Gus that just fucked look that Brian had perfected many years ago.

“Then get going, and play safe,” Brian said as he escorted the boys out of the Plaza and to a waiting limo. Now it was Gus’ turn to raise that Kinney eyebrow. “The car will take you to Babylon and then back to the loft. Ray’s stuff is in the back. I want you boys to have fun but remember what I said.”

“We will, Pop, and thank you,” Gus said with a brilliant smile.

“Thank you,” Ray said coyly as the boys piled into the back of the roomy car. Brian shut the car door then had some words with the driver who nodded his understanding. The driver was entrusted with important cargo and knew he had to be extra careful. Brian waited as the car drove off.

“Are we going too?” Justin said as he appeared at Brian’s side.

“How’d you know?” Brian asked as he nodded his affirmation to Justin.

“Because I know you. And I know the family would want it this way. We can go through the service entrance so the boys won’t see us spying on them.”

“We’re not spying.”

“Not exactly but we are keeping an eye on them, aren’t we?”

“At least for a little while. I don’t want all those fags sniffing around my son,” Brian growled.

“They wouldn’t dare,” Justin said with a smile.

“Besides, Gus is different. He has nothing to prove.”

“You didn’t either.”

“Yeah, I did,” Brian said with a sad sigh. Justin dropped the subject, not wanting to push, or risk building up any walls that Brian over the years had brought down. “Where’s the Squirt?”

“With John and Bobby. She and Patrick were tired.”

“It was a long night.”

“But a good one.”

Brian nodded. “Let’s go,” he said as another limo drove up. Justin gave his spouse a confused look. “I may need another drink or two to get through the rest of this night. I don’t want to hear any of your PSA’s.”

“Yes, dear,” Justin replied as they too piled into the back of the car. Brian grabbed Justin’s hand then snaked it around his waist to draw Justin in close. Brian kissed his spouse deeply.

“What was that for?” Justin asked when he was finally allowed to come up for air.

“Because,” was Brian’s only reply.

“Oh, because,” Justin repeated knowingly. No other words were needed or spoken until they arrived at the club.



*****



The thumpa-thumpa music was loud but compelling as the boys reached Babylon. They shed their suit jackets and ties to make themselves more comfortable and to fit in better with the crowd. The line was wrapped around the block. Most of gay Pittsburgh was there celebrating life or trying to lose themselves in the crowd and the music.

“Do we have to wait in this line?” Ray asked, a bit overwhelmed.

“I don’t think so,” Gus said hesitantly as he approached the main door with Ray in tow. A huge bear of a man nodded at the young Kinney and Ray then cocked his head toward the door. As the boys walked through the portal with shaky but clasped hands, the bouncer rumbled a few words into his mike. All of Babylon was aware that the new king was making his debut.

“I don’t remember it being this loud!” Ray said above the noise as they made their way inside. Ray tightened his hold on Gus’ hand. Gus seemed to know where he wanted to go.

“Wow!” Gus exclaimed mainly to himself, as he looked over the rail of the catwalk. The dance floor was already filled, mainly with men all grinding themselves against their partners, swaying, jumping and dancing to the pounding beat of the music. Gus could almost smell the testosterone in the air. “Come on,” Gus said to Ray as he tugged on Ray’s hand. The boys made their way through the crowd and down the stairs to the dance floor. Having eyes for no one other than each other, the boys were unaware of the admiring looks they were garnering. The bouncers and staff were all keeping a sharp lookout for the next generation of Kinney.

“You can dance, can’t you?” Ray said with a twinkle in his eyes as he pulled Gus close to him. Their only limited dance experience together was at the NY GLC and they had kept it very conservative. Gus looked down his nose into the pools of dark chocolate brown. He smiled his best Kinney smile as he nodded then scrunched down just a little to align his body with Ray’s. The boys began to sway to their own music.

“He looks like you,” Justin commented. He and Brian were up in the glass enclosed office. With the lights off, they could see out onto the dance floor but no one could see in.

“He doesn’t dance like me,” Brian snarked.

“No one dances like you,” Justin said with a smirk.

“I did all right.”

“Yeah, you did,” Justin said with a husky quality to his voice.

Justin stood on tiptoe to get into Brian’s face to give him a toe curling kiss. Adjusting the speakers, Justin allowed the sounds of the thumpa-thumpa music to filter into the office. Justin snaked his hands around Brian’s waist as he began to sway his hips to the music. Brian scrunched down so he could grind himself into Justin.

Brian let Justin and the music transport him back to a different time as they danced.



*****



“Water, please,” Ray asked politely as the boys made their way to the bar. They had danced several dances together and were very thirsty. The bartender smiled admiringly at the handsome young man as he handed Ray a bottle of water. “Thank you,” Ray said as he twisted off the top and took a good long drink.

Gus stared at Ray’s throat as he watched the muscles in his neck work. “Water,” Gus asked as he shook himself out of his reverie. “Thank you,” he said as he was offered his own bottle. Gus downed the cool liquid in several gulps.

As they stood at the bar, their eyes wandered around.

“So many men,” Ray said with a sigh, leaning close to Gus so he could be heard.

“So little time,” Gus retorted, and they both laughed. That was the best aspect of their friendship, their ability to make the other laugh. The boys hugged and kissed, reveling in the freedom and protection that Babylon provided them. At that moment they were free to express themselves as did all the men and women that frequented the club.

Their exploring eyes finally landed on the entrance to the back room. Brian in his twisted sense of humor had had the door painted a deep orange, with the cryptic words ‘the new blue’ written across the top in azure blue. Only Brian and Justin knew the true meaning behind those words, although Gus as a Kinnetik intern had learned what they meant.

“Do you want to go back there? Check things out?” Gus asked.

“No, I can wait to try sex in public for a while. We did promise your dad we wouldn’t. Besides, I think I’d rather be with you somewhere quiet and clean.”

“Considering my dad’s feelings about cleanliness, I’m sure he has the cum chipped off the walls and floor on a regular basis.”

“Ewww, that’s gross!” Ray said as they laughed again then got serious.

“Dance with me again,” Gus said in a low and sexy voice as he offered his hand. Gus’ eyes darkened to a deep hunter green with arousal. Ray nodded his consent as he placed his hand in Gus’.

The boys sauntered onto the dance floor, where a slow dance with a slightly Latin beat was playing. Gus and Ray held each other close as they kissed and danced their last dance of the night.

“Phew, I thought for a minute they were going to go in there,” Justin said.

“I didn’t. Gus made a promise. He keeps his promises,” Brian said proudly.

“Another Kinney tradition?”

“It’s not a bad one.”

“No, it’s not.” Justin wrapped his arms around his spouse then buried his head in Brian’s chest.

“Ready to go, Sunshine, it’s way past our bedtime,” Brian commented with a smirk.

“I’m always ready to go with you, Bri,” Justin said, giving Brian his sunniest smile. They were just about to leave the office when the music ended.

“Look.” Brian pointed toward the dance floor.

Gus and Ray had finished their dance and were walking toward the stairs. Brian and Justin watched as the boys walked along the catwalk then out to the door.

The lovers went home.



*****



With shaking fingers, Gus rolled back the heavy loft door. He punched in the code to the alarm, half expecting the room to be ablaze with scented candles. Gus was surprised that the only light shining, was the blue light over the bed. Gus locked up as Ray put down his bag to look around.

“I wonder what it would be like to live here,” Ray said in amazement.

“My dad and Justin lived here for a long time. I remember visiting as a kid.”

“I love all this space.”

“Me too,” Gus said softly as he moved closer to Ray. Ray reached up to give Gus a kiss. The kiss deepened. “Let’s go to bed,” Gus whispered. Ray nodded slowly.



*****



A trail of clothes, the soft sounds of lips meeting in kisses, hands slowly exploring smooth skin. Lovers, making love until completion. A tall hazel-eyed brunet hugged his sleeping lover close as he too went to sleep thinking how things have changed and how much they’ve stayed the same.

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1121