London Calling by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Justin and his family are heading to London for his first show in England.

Story #41 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 19 Completed: Yes Word count: 52512 Read: 20759 Published: Oct 13, 2017 Updated: Oct 13, 2017

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

19. Chapter 19 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



London Calling

Chapter 1





“Come in, Mrs. Brenner. It’s so nice to see you again,” Cynthia said as she showed Molly into her office and offered her a seat.

“Thank you for calling me,” Molly replied, taking her seat after shaking Cynthia’s hand.

“Is Taylor in the school?”

“Yes. He really likes it there.”

“We’re very proud of our little school. Our kids don’t want to leave.”

“Yes, I know. I remember Bree wasn’t all that happy when she had to move on.”

“Can I offer you a cup of coffee before we begin?” Cynthia asked as she studied the nervous young woman before her.

“No, thank you.”

“All right. As we discussed before, I’m very impressed with your resume. Your references all came back glowing. I believe you’d make a nice addition to our Kinnetik family.”

“Thank you, Ms. Morgan. I think I’ll like it here too. But I’m surprised that you need a copy editor. Many of your ads have little print. I hope Brian’s not playing favorites.”

“On the contrary, Mrs. Brenner...”

“Molly, please. Mrs. Brenner sounds too much like my mother-in-law.”

“Okay, Molly. We don’t play favorites here. Brian obviously knows you’ve applied to us but he hasn’t heard my decision.”

“Oh. I thought Justin...”

“Justin doesn’t know either. And I think you overestimate your brother’s impact here.”

“I thought Justin was a contributing artist?”

“On occasion when Brian’s working on something secretive,” Cynthia said with a smirk and making quote marks with her fingers. “We have dozens of excellent artists on staff throughout all the Kinnetik branches. We utilize all of them.”

“Don’t your clients assume that my brother has a hand in your ads?” Molly asked naively.

“Perhaps a few, at first. Our regular clients know otherwise. Molly, you forget that Brian Kinney was around for a very long time in this business. Way before your brother came on the scene and made a name for himself.”

“Oh. I do forget sometimes. For most of my life it’s been my brother and Brian. I always think of them as doing everything together.”

“For the most part you’d be right. However, Kinnetik is Brian Kinney. He may not be physically present in our branch or in any of the other branches but he is cognizant of what goes on in all of them. Our clients come to us because of what Brian Kinney represents and what we have to offer. We pride ourselves by growing, changing with the times and not being afraid to be innovative.”

“I’ll remember that.”

“Good.”

“But I’m not sure what my role here will be. Most of the ads I’ve seen have little to say in words. It’s the theme or the artwork that makes them stand out.”

Ignoring Molly’s statement for the moment, Cynthia picked up Molly’s resume again. “Your resume says that you’re fluent in several languages.”

“Only three, and just the easy ones, French, Spanish and Italian. But I can get by in a few more.”

“Can you tell me about your fascination for these languages?”

“I’m not sure. I guess with Justin it was always what he saw and how he interpreted what he saw. With me it was always the spoken word. And then my father funded several vacations abroad for me. I wanted to learn the language of the country I visited,” Molly said softly, blushing with embarrassment. She had fun on those trips until she grew old enough to realize that most of the money Craig spent on her was the money he would have spent on Justin’s college tuition.

“Did you do research in regards to the languages? In other words, if you went to Greece, would you have tried to learn that language?”

“Yes, and I did. I enjoy doing the research.”

“That’s good to hear. As you may be aware, Kinnetik has a New York division.”

“Yes, Stacey, my husband’s cousin works there.”

“Stacey is the head of that branch. She’s been cultivating many overseas clients, clients that are very successful in Europe and looking to expand. New York is the place to start. Make it there and you make it anywhere, as it goes. However, taking on foreign clients while lucrative, does have pitfalls.”

“I’m not sure I follow you.”

“What would happen if we translated an ad into Italian that was intended for the Sicilian market?” Cynthia asked.

Molly looked at her intently. “Oh. OH!” Molly giggled.

“You get my point.”

“Yes. That would be a disaster and you probably wouldn’t keep that client for long.”

“My thoughts exactly. Now Kinnetik can either hire dozens of linguists or...”

“Or one person with an affinity for languages and research?” Molly asked hopefully.

Cynthia smiled. “Welcome to the Kinnetik family, Molly,” Cynthia said as she stood and held out her hand to Molly. Molly stood to take it as she smiled in return.



*****



“Hi Molly, enjoying your tour around the office?” Ted asked the latest member to be added to the Kinnetik family.

“Yes, I am. I saw most of the first floor the day of my initial interview but I just came down from upstairs. I didn’t realize how large this place really is.”

“This is a large building. I mainly stick to the first floor. The artists can get a little moody,” Ted joked sotto voce. “When do you start?”

“We agreed to Monday January 7th. I already gave notice and I’m willing to start sooner, but Cynthia assured me that after the holidays would be good enough. She’s given me lots of information on Kinnetik and all of my HR paperwork.”

“If you have any questions I’d be very happy to help,” Ted offered.

“Thank you. I appreciate it. Um, you could answer one question for me.”

“Sure, happy to,” Ted said enthusiastically.

“It’s kind of quiet around here. Where is everyone?”

“We run a skeleton crew from mid December to just after the New Year. It gives everyone the opportunity to spend the holidays with family and do any last minute shopping. Those employees that want to come in are free to do so. And of course, many of our admen can work from their home computers if they wish to. Brian doesn’t really care where the work gets done as long as it does get done and it’s the highest quality. But since the office is centrally located, most of us prefer working here.”

“So if Taylor was sick and I couldn’t bring him in, I could work from home?”

“I don’t have a problem with that but you would have to clear it with Cynthia.”

“That’s reasonable. Thank you for letting me know.”

“No problem, and Molly, welcome to the family,” Ted said sincerely as he extended his hand. Molly smiled brightly, her own version of a sunshine smile, as she took his hand.



*****



“Justin?”

“Yes.”

“We have a problem.”

“A problem?”

“Yes.”

“And just what kind of problem do we have?”

“The toilet.”

“Toilet?”

“Yes.”

“Brian, what the fuck are you talking about? I’m in a meeting with Sidney,” Justin said into his cell phone, as he looked over at the gallery owner who merely smiled serenely. He had dealt with queens before.

“The toilet’s running really slowly.”

“So?”

“So, I don’t know what to do with it.”

“Brian, for Christ’s sake. The plunger is in the linen closet. Use it.”

“I don’t do shit,” Brian replied decisively.

“Then get John to have a look at it. He’s good with that kind of thing.”

“Nobody’s home.”

Justin heaved a sigh. “Call Ronny the plumber.”

“Can’t you come home?”

“You sound like a baby.”

“I think it’s a sign,” Brian whispered.

“A sign?” Justin asked trying not to sound too cross about this ridiculous conversation.

“A warning that we need to stay home. Something bad may happen if we go to England.”

“That … That’s just ridiculous. Call Ronny the plumber. I have to go.”

“Justin.”

“Yes.”

“I guess I shouldn’t have called you.”

“It’s okay. I’ll be home in a few hours.”

“I’ll be here.”

“Call Ronny … and I love you.”

“Me too.”

Brian cut the connection before he said some other idiotic thing. He went into the kitchen and opened the drawer where they kept the booklet of business cards. He flipped through until he found Ronny’s.



*****



“Sorry about that interruption, Sidney,” Justin said as he put his cell phone back in his pocket.

“That’s okay. I understand that Brian is not really looking forward to this time in London.”

“That’s putting it mildly.”

“Is there anything I can do to make it easier on him … and you?”

“I’ve been thinking about that,” Justin replied. “Do you think your contacts could find us a house in London, somewhere near the places I’m going to have to appear? I think Brian and all of us would feel more at home in a house rather than a hotel.”

“Hm, I don’t know anybody who has a house available, but I’ll put out some feelers and see what I come up with.”

“That would be great. Sarah Kingsley told me she had some friends in London who would love to host us. I don’t know how true that is, but I should maybe talk to her. Perhaps some of her friends go to the Caribbean for the winter. Someone might have an empty house that we could rent for a month or two.”

“That’s worth a try.”

“Anyway, what else do we need to go over besides the list of paintings that are being sent to London?”

“I want you to choose some of your latest pieces that haven’t been displayed yet. That way I can tell the gallery they are getting quite the coup with the world premiere of your paintings.”

Justin laughed. “You always did know how to play the angles.”

“That’s what I’m here for,” Sidney said smugly.

Justin merely smiled.



*****



“Ronny, come right in,” Brian said as he answered the door for the handsome plumber.

“I hear you have some sort of problem for me.”

“Very slow running toilet in the master bedroom.”

“I’ll take a look.”

“Would you like a coffee? I was about to make a pot.”

“That would be great.”

Brian showed Ronny the offending toilet and then went to the kitchen to make his coffee. As much as he might have enjoyed looking at Ronny’s fine ass bent over his toilet, he decided discretion was the better part of valor. Coffee was much safer.



*****



“Mrs. Kingsley,” Justin said into his cell phone. “It’s Justin Taylor.”

“Why yes, Justin dear, what can I do for you? And please call me Sarah,” Sarah replied with a big smile all over her face. She loved to get calls from world famous artists.

“As you know I’m heading to London after Christmas.”

“Of course I know. You’re going to knock the British art world on its collective ear, and don’t forget to mention my name while you’re doing it,” Sarah told him with a laugh.

“I’ll be sure to do that,” Justin responded shaking his head at the same time.

“So, what can this old lady do for you?”

“You mentioned having friends in London.”

“Yes, I have several.”

“Brian and I would like to rent a house instead of staying in a hotel when we go over there.”

“I’m sure you’d be much more comfortable in a house.”

“Would any of your friends by chance be heading off to the tropics for the winter, and might have a house that we could rent from them? I promise we’d take very good care of everything.” Justin held his breath as he waited for her reply.

“Why, I don’t know,” Sarah said a little taken by surprise. “Let me make a few phone calls and I’ll get back to you.”

“That would be great. I really appreciate you doing this for me.”

“Not a problem, Justin dear. I should have an answer for you by this evening.”

“Thanks again,” Justin said. “I look forward to hearing from you.”

“I’m very pleased you called me, and I’m happy to help. I’ll call you later this evening.”

“Thank you, Sarah.”

Sarah smiled to herself. “You’re very welcome, Justin dear.”

Justin cut the connection. He wondered what Sarah would come up with and what it might cost him down the line. But if she could find a house for them, then it was worth it. Justin pocketed his phone and got into the car to drive home.



*****



“All fixed,” Ronny said as he carried his tools out from the bedroom.

“Already?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“It was plugged, so I snaked it and everything’s kosher now.”

“Snaked, huh?” Brian asked with a smirk.

Ronny smiled at the sexual innuendo. “This handy tool,” he said pointing to the flexible metal rod he held in his hand.

“Coffee’s ready.”

“I’ll just put all my equipment back in the truck, and then I’ll join you.”

“Bet you’d like to be paid too.”

“Yeah,” Ronny smiled before heading out to his truck.



*****



“Brian!” Justin called.

“In the kitchen.”

“Oh!” Justin said with surprise, as he found Brian and Ronny the plumber sitting all cozy around the kitchen table. “What’s going on?”

“I told you the toilet wasn’t working properly, so Ronny came to my rescue.”

“I see,” Justin said with a frown. He hadn’t really believed there was anything wrong with the toilet.

“I bet you thought I was stringing you a line to get you to come home,” Brian said with his tongue planted in his cheek.

“Well, you made it sound so … pathetic,” Justin said using Brian’s favorite word. “I didn’t think it could possibly be that bad.”

“The drain was plugged, but it’s all fixed now,” Ronny said standing up and folding the check Brian had given him. He put it in the pocket of his shirt. “I better get going.”

“Bye, Ronny,” Justin replied before turning to stare at Brian.

“What?” Brian asked feigning innocence.

“How many repair people do you have coffee with when I’m not home?”

“Just handsome young plumbers named Ronny.”

“So this is a common occurrence?”

“How many times have we needed the plumbing fixed since we moved in here?” Brian asked.

“I don’t know, maybe once.”

“Then I’d hardly call today’s tryst with Ronny a common occurrence.”

“I … I just didn’t expect to see you sitting in the kitchen with him.”

“I was just being a good host and thanking him for fitting me in this afternoon,” Brian explained.

Justin blinked at Brian’s choice of words, but then he realized that he had nothing to worry about. He knew Brian loved him and would never do anything to jeopardize their relationship. “Okay,” he whispered, “sorry.”

“You have nothing to be sorry for.”

“I guess I was a little bit jealous.”

“I like jealous Justin,” Brian grinned as he pulled Justin in for a hot toe-curling kiss.

“Maybe I should go out more afternoons, if it earns me a welcome home kiss like that.”

“You don’t have to go anywhere to earn my best kisses. They’re all reserved for you.”

Justin beamed at him. “I love you, and I might have some good news about our trip.”

“It’s been cancelled?” Brian asked hopefully.

“No, silly. But I may have a way to make our stay in London more palatable.”

“Do tell?”

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 2





“Monica, dear, do we have a clear connection?”

“I can hear you very well, Sarah. How are you, darling? And why aren’t you here? St. Lucia just isn’t the same without you!”

“How sweet of you to say, Monica, but my daughter insists on doing Christmas here; you know how family can be. And then there is my newest great grandson.”

“Oh yes, sweet little Taylor. Carlyle and I were just looking at your latest pictures. Little Taylor is so like his famous uncle, isn’t he?”

“Why yes, Monica, you are quite right. I had a lovely Thanksgiving with Justin and his family at his country estate. He’s a bit eccentric; he lives way outside the city. You know how those artistic types are.”

“Oh yes, I know. Speaking of artists, have I ever thanked you properly for sending that wonderful Ethan Gold? He’s such a dear and sooo charming. He's been keeping company with my niece, but he could only stay a month. We were so sorry to see him go. The London household misses him. I hear he was very generous to the staff. Reuben was especially heartbroken.”

“Which one is Reuben, dear?”

“He’s the young man in charge of the cars and the garage. Our Rolls has never been so polished.”

“So have you let the house?”

“No, we haven't and I am very disappointed but Carlyle insisted that we fly down to the islands the first of December. You know how he detests the holidays; he finds them rather tedious.”

“I fully concur but one must keep up appearances at times. My brother-in-law insists that I represent the Kingsley family here, I would so much rather be in New York or Boston or London, but he is the eldest.”

“I know just how you feel. But Sarah, darling, what can I do for you? These island calls are so expensive.”

“Oh my dear, it’s not what you can do for me, but rather what I insist on doing for you! Justin Taylor will finally exhibit in London! Isn’t that so exciting?”

“Oh Sarah! Is he truly coming to town?”

“Yes, my dear, dear Monica. I know for a fact that his agent has been making arrangements to send some of Justin’s more memorable pieces.”

“Sarah, I had the opportunity to see his work in New York. He...oh, how can I put this delicately? He paints nude men, doesn’t he?”

“Only one, dear. If you’re agreeable, Monica, may I pass along your solicitor’s information to the young man. I believe he and his family may be planning to spend a month in London.”

“Please do, Sarah, I would forever be in your debt. I do so hate to leave my house unattended. Will he be bringing children?”

“I’m sure the youngest will be with him; their eldest is at university.”

“I must insist they bring their au pair. I can’t abide unsupervised children loose in my home.”

“Oh of course, Monica, we all have standards. But not to worry, the young lady in mind is quite remarkable. You have my personal guarantee.”

“My dear Sarah, I hope you don’t believe I would ever cast any aspersions on you? You have always sent me the highest caliber of guest. You have impeccable taste.”

“Thank you, Monica, so sweet of you to say. I believe I have your man’s card. Shall I contact him and make the overtures?”

“Please do, with my blessing.”

“Monica dear, have a wonderful holiday and I shall see you just after the New Year. We must do lunch.”

“Oh yes, darling, and bridge. You must make our fourth; Carlyle is a dreadful player.”

“I’m looking forward to it. Kisses, dear. I’ll see you soon.”

“Happy holidays, darling. Call me as soon as you arrive!”



*****



“Kinney-Taylor residence,” Bree said as she answered the phone for her Dada who was currently cracking eggs to make their breakfast omelet. “Who’s calling?” Bree asked politely.

“This is Sarah Kingsley. To whom am I speaking?”

“Hello, Mrs. Sarah Kingsley. This is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor.”

“Briana, my dear, aren’t you a little young to be answering the telephone? Where is your father?”

“My Dada is making breakfast and I’m big enough. I use a stool to reach the phone.”

“I see. May I please speak with your Dada?”

“Hold on, please,” Bree said as she held the phone close to her chest then addressed her Dada. “Dada, the Mrs. Sarah Kingsley wants to talk to you.” Brian turned away to wipe his hands on a towel, snickering while he did. He quickly regained control then took the phone.

“Thank you, Squirt. Good morning, Sarah, how may I help you?”

“Brian dear, you cook breakfast?”

“I do, and you’re welcome to join us anytime, Sarah. What can I do for you?”

“Are you aware Justin called me the other day regarding your trip to London?”

“Yes, ma’am, we have no secrets.”

“Justin mentioned that you’re considering renting instead of staying at a hotel.”

“We are considering that option. We value our privacy.”

“I fully understand, dear. Hotels can be so tedious.” Brian sighed, wishing Sarah Kingsley would get to the point. “Sarah, I don’t wish to be rude but I have an omelet to flip.”

“Oh yes, I’ll get right to the point. My cousin, Lady Monica Rutledge owns a townhouse in London. She and her husband are wintering in St. Lucia. They would be honored if you and Justin would consider making their home yours while you’re in London. If you have pen and paper handy, I can give you the name of their representative. He’ll be happy to give you all the details.”

“Thank you, Sarah. This is very unexpected. I’d be very happy to cook you breakfast anytime,” Brian said in his most flirtatious and sexiest voice. Sarah giggled like a schoolgirl.

“I’m happy to be of help, dear, and I do apologize for disrupting your culinary exercises.” After Sarah gave Brian the information, she asked for Bree.

“Briana, dear?”

“Hi, Mrs. Kingsley.”

“Briana, what’s your favorite color?”

“I like pink the best, but I also like purple and yellow.”

“Thank you, Briana. Enjoy your breakfast. Goodbye now.”

“Goodbye, Mrs. Kingsley.” Bree carefully hung up the phone then helped her Dada get breakfast on the table.



*****



“Hello, mother,” Brian said into his phone.

“Brian, I haven’t talked to you in over a week.”

“I know. It’s that busy time of the year.”

“I … I wondered…”

“Wondered what, mother?” Brian asked with a frown. It wasn’t like his mother to beat around the bush. “Is something wrong?”

“No, no, nothing wrong,” Joan said. “I have something to ask you, and I don’t want you to get mad. If you don’t want to do it, you can just say so.”

“Tell me what you want before I begin to think you want a kidney or something.”

“Brian!” Joan said horrified.

Brian rubbed his hand over his eyes and down his face. “I didn’t mean that quite the way it came out. I’d give you a kidney if you needed one.”

“Thank you, but I don’t need a kidney. I wanted to invite you to the carol sing and concert at my church. Since I won’t see you after Christmas when you go to England, I thought it might be nice to go as a family, you and Justin and Bree, and Gus if he’s home.”

“When is this?”

“Thursday night.”

“Gus will be home by then,” Brian said slowly. The last thing he wanted to do was go to a fucking Christmas concert. They were already going to Bree’s on Wednesday night. Brian was about to turn his mother down when he thought better of it. Joan wasn’t getting any younger, and they were going away for at least a month, probably longer. It wouldn’t hurt him to spend some time with his mother before they left. “Okay, mother, I’ll talk to Justin, but I think we can be there.”

“Oh, Brian, this will mean so much to me. Thank you, dear.”

Brian could hear the happiness in his mother’s voice and he was glad he had accepted her invitation. “See you Thursday.”

“Come for dinner first,” Joan said. “I’ll make something special.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to. It’s for my son and his family. It has to be special.”

“Okay, mom,” Brian replied. “See you Thursday at dinnertime.”



*****



“Hey, Pop.”

“Sonny Boy, this must be my weekly phone call.”

“Pop, I’m sorry if you resent me limiting your calls.”

“Sorry’s bullshit … and I like yanking your chain. It’s good practice for the real world you’ll have to live in when you’re out of school.”

Gus laughed. “Thanks for the life lesson … I think. You’re not really mad, are you?” he asked uncertainly. He really was asking if his father was hurt that he didn’t want Brian calling and checking up on him every day, but he knew it wasn’t wise to phrase it that way with his dad.

“What did I just say?” Brian asked pointedly.

“That you were yanking my chain.”

“Right, so let’s move on to more important topics.”

“Like?” Gus asked, knowing what he wanted to talk to his father about. He wondered if Brian would bring up the subject most predominantly on Gus’ mind.

“Like when you’re coming home and what plans you’ve made for the holidays.”

“Um, I heard today that my class on Wednesday has been canceled. I could come home Wednesday … if I had a car to get there,” Gus added pointedly.

“No car till next summer.”

“Okay,” Gus sighed. “I figured that was what you’d say, but it was worth a shot.”

“Always worth a shot,” Brian conceded with a smile. What teenager didn’t press for a car? “So, are you coming home on Wednesday?”

“I’d like to, but the moms thought I was coming Thursday, and they both have work commitments for Wednesday. Neither can get away to pick me up.” Gus tried to make his voice sound pathetic without being too obvious.

“You’d like me to come get you?” Brian asked picking up on what Gus was driving at.

“Could you?” Gus said hopefully. “Everyone else is leaving early. I don’t want to be stuck here by myself. I’d rather be home.”

“There are things called Greyhound buses, you know. They travel all over Pennsylvania and beyond.”

“That sounds like one of Justin’s PSA’s.”

Brian chuckled. “They’re pretty inexpensive too,” Brian added.

“You want me to take the bus?” Gus asked in surprise. This didn’t sound like his dad.

“What do you think?”

Then the light dawned. “You’re yanking my chain again, aren’t you, Pop?”

“Maybe just a little.”

“So, can you come and pick me up?”

Brian was tempted to respond that he could always cum, but thought better of it. That line was so out of the past, and this was his son he was talking too. “Sure, but I’d prefer to pick you up Tuesday night. Bree’s Christmas concert is Wednesday night.”

“You could come Tuesday? That would be great.”

“For you, Sonny Boy, anything!”

“Pop, you better stop yanking on that chain or I’m going to croak,” Gus joked.

“So, Tuesday night it is.”

“If you came Tuesday afternoon…” Gus suggested hesitantly. “My last class is done by four p.m., and I’ll be sure to be ready. I could maybe spend the night at the cottage with you and go to my moms’ later in the week.”

“That works for me. Should I get you a ticket for Bree’s concert? It’s Wednesday night.”

“She’d love that, wouldn’t she? Sure, Pop. I’ll tell the moms what we’ve decided and I’ll see you on Tuesday,” Gus said happily.

“It’s a date. Oh, and we have some other things to discuss on the drive home.”

“We do?”

“Yeah, see you soon,” Brian said before cutting the connection. Let his son mull that over.



*****



Gus looked at his phone after his father cut him off. With a frown he hit the speed dial and waited.

“Hey, Gus,” the voice replied.

“Ray, my dad wants to talk to me.”

“So?”

“That usually means something serious. Maybe he won’t let me come to your place for New Year’s.”

“Did he say that?” Ray asked disappointment evident in his voice.

“No, but…”

“Hey, don’t jump to conclusions.”

“I can’t help it.”

“I’m sure it will be fine. But … call me as soon as you know.”

“I will. I miss you.”

“You too,” Ray said. “I gotta go. I’m on my way to class.”

“Yeah, talk to you soon.” Gus cut the connection and stared out the window of the lecture hall. His own lecture would be starting soon. He wondered if he’d be fucking able to concentrate at all. Damn! What was his father going to tell him? And then it hit him, maybe his dad was yanking his chain once again. Gus sure hoped so.



*****



“Honey, I’m home,” Justin called as he came in the door.

“Daddy!” Bree squealed as she raced to the front door and threw her arms around Justin’s waist or as close to his waist as she could reach.

“Hi, sweetheart,” Justin said leaning down and hugging his daughter. “Did you have a good day at school?”

“Yep, we’re getting ready for our Christmas concert Wednesday night. You and Dada are coming, aren’t you?”

“Of course we are.”

“Good.”

“Where’s Dada?”

“Cooking.”

“Oh, glad to hear that,” Justin said as he headed for the kitchen.

“Hey, blondie, you finally decided to come home to your loving spouse,” Brian snarked.

“Yes, I did, my poor, mistreated spouse.”

“You got that right,” Brian said but smiled to show Justin that he was just kidding. “Come here,” Brian ordered as he pulled Justin into a kiss, and handed him the knife he had been using to get potatoes ready for supper.

“Thanks,” Justin said with a sigh.

“Just kidding,” Brian said taking the knife back. “Pour yourself a glass of wine and tell me how your meeting with Sidney went.”

“I think we’ve got most of the details worked out.”

“Good.”

“How was your day?”

“Busy. I have to pick up Gus at Penn State late Tuesday afternoon. Do you have to meet with Sidney again?”

“Probably, he seems to find more and more shit that we need to decide on.”

“I talked to Mrs. Sarah Kingsley,” Bree said proudly as she sat at the kitchen table listening to her fathers.

“You did?” Justin asked. Bree bobbed her head.

“Bree did a very professional job of answering the phone,” Brian offered. “I contacted the person Sarah told me to call. All the info for a townhouse in downtown London is on the computer. The representative of Lord and Lady Rutledge sent me all the specs. You can have a look after dinner.”

“Great,” Justin said with a smile. “I’m sure it will be quite the place if they’re friends of Sarah Kingsley.”

“Will there be lots of ‘do not touch’?” Bree asked with a worried look.

“It will be our house while we’re there, sweetheart,” Justin said. “We’ll put all the ‘do not touch’ away.”

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said happily.

“Oh, and I promised my mother we’d go for dinner on Thursday and accompany her to her church’s Christmas carol sing,” Brian added.

“You did?”

“I said I’d talk to you first,” Brian said quickly. “We can back out if you need to.”

“Not at all. I think we’re going to have lots of Christmas spirit this year.”

“Certainly looks that way,” Brian added, and he didn’t seem too upset at that prospect at all.

“I like Christmas spirit,” Bree said swinging her feet under the table.

“You have been a busy boy today, my big smoosh,” Justin said with a wink.

“And later tonight I’ll expect a big reward for services rendered.”

“Goes without saying,” Justin grinned.

“Huh?” Bree asked.

“So what are you making for dinner?” Justin said quickly.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 3





“Lindsay, I have John with me and you’re on speaker.”

“Hi, Brian, hello, John, and I have Justin and Sidney with me. Why do I have the impression that I’m not going to like this conversation?”

“I have no idea what you mean.”

“Well then, why don’t you explain it to me?”

“You know something, Lindz, I think I made a big mistake orchestrating the big reconciliation of 2018. You’re sounding more and more like your husband every day.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment. Please get to the point, Brian. We’re really very busy selecting the right paintings and supervising their preparation for shipping. We only have a short window to get them there and hung in the London National Gallery.”

“That leads me to why I asked for this meeting. As you may be aware we’ve decided to turn this trip into an extended family vacation and believe it or not, with Sarah Kingsley’s influence, we’ve decided to rent a home in London for the time we’re visiting. I’m sick and tired of hotel food. And we’re taking the kids with us."

“Brian, what do you mean, you’re taking the kids?”

“Just what it sounds like, Lindz. John and Bobby deserve some time together before John knuckles down to his research. And other than our time in Florida, they really haven’t had a proper vacation since their honeymoon. However, neither one of us wants to leave Bree and Patrick. I’d also like to ask Gus to come with us. He’s on winter break, so there’s no reason why he can’t go, unless you and Mel say no or he declines the invitation.”

“Brian, I’m sure Gus will jump at the chance, but what about the kids’ schooling? Do you intend to take Bree and Patrick out of school for all that time? We’re talking a minimum of two weeks. Probably longer if the gallery manager has anything to say about it. He’s been talking about receptions with several Lords and Ladies and even tea with the Prince.”

“Before I answer that, will you answer something for me?”

“If I can.”

“Are either you or Sidney planning on accompanying us?”

“How did.....yes, we've been discussing it. Why?”

“Answer one more question. Are you still a certified teacher?”

“Yes, I am. I worked way too hard to become an educator to let that go. And I always thought it was good to have a back up plan.”

“Now you sound like me.”

“I learned from the master. But why all the questions?”

“Because, during the day I realize you’ll be on Sidney Bloom time but I’d like for you to set aside some part of the day to be on Kinney time.”

“Meaning?”

“I’d like to hire you to be an educator. Specifically, to home school Bree and Patrick while we’re gone. I was going to ask Joan or Rachel to babysit but that would be unfair to them and the kids. Us dads are in agreement that this experience will be invaluable to them. Spending time in London galleries. Touring one of the most history rich countries in the world. Not to mention that we'll get to spend time with them, it's a win-win situation. But we don’t want them to fall behind in their school assignments. John and I have spoken to the school principal and to Patrick and Bree’s teachers. They’re willing to give us a specific syllabus including exams to follow so that when they return to school, they’ll be right where they’re supposed to be.”

“I sense a but.”

“But they want us to arrange to have a teacher to give the lessons, none of us are qualified. I’d rather have someone that I know and trust to do it than me hiring a complete stranger. So what do you think?”

“You’re really serious about this?”

“Completely. You’re also invited to stay with us at the townhouse. I promise your virtue will not be compromised.”

“I’ll be a lesbian in a house filled with gay men; I don’t think I’m worried. I like the thought of staying in a home rather than in a hotel.”

“Lindsay, from what Mrs. Kingsley has told Brian, the house is as good as living in a private hotel,” John said. “The house is fully staffed.”

“John’s itching to study authentic English cottages,” Brian explained smugly. “As well as the architecture in general.”

“You appear to have all the angles worked out,” Lindsay replied.

“Not all of them. Gus is still planning to go to New York after Christmas to spend some time with Ray. I’m thinking we can fly from Pittsburgh to New York then connect to London.”

“That sounds reasonable.”

“So why don’t you sound convinced?”

“Because I don’t like being manipulated.”

“Who’s manipulating you?”

“You are! You’re the master of all the manipulations that go on in my life.”

“Let me ask you something. So, who was planning to come along on this trip, you or Sidney?”

“I can answer that, Brian. This is Sidney, by the way. I was planning on sending Lindsay.”

“Sidney?”

“Come, come, my dear woman, don’t tell me you didn’t know.”

“I didn’t. I hoped, but I wasn’t sure.”

“Be sure. Spending over a month over there, firming up our contacts and arranging this new exhibit, I came to the conclusion that you are the right person to supervise this show. It’s about time you developed your own rapport and relationships with your counterparts around the world. London is a good place to start.”

“What about my family? I’m not sure I’d like to be separated from Mel and JR. Mel and I are finally on the same page and JR...”

“Lindz, JR can use this time alone with Mel. And we can always fly them over for the opening.”

“You have thought of everything.”

“Not everything, Lindz, but I’m trying.”

“John, I haven’t heard much from you.”

“That’s because my brother is good at what he does. Lindsay, I’m about to reveal some of Brian’s secrets here and I’m sure he’ll make me pay dearly for doing so, but he’s worried. You know how he hates to be separated from Justin.”

“And I won’t go without Brian,” Justin spoke up to confirm his feelings.

“They won’t go without Briana. Of course, this trip is just a vacation for me and Bobby and we deserve it, but I think it’ll also be very educational for me and for Patrick.”

“Okay, okay. I know when I’m being double teamed. But as for home schooling Bree and Patrick, I’m not sure I’m qualified. I’m an art history teacher. I haven’t taught at grade school level in years.”

“We have confidence in you, Lindsay,” Justin reassured her.

“It appears that you all have made up your minds. Can I at least speak to Bree and Patrick and their teachers before I give you my decision?”

“Of course, Lindz,” Brian replied. They discussed a few more details before ending their call.



*****



“Is your Dada picking you up?” Winona asked Bree.

“I don’t know,” Bree replied. “He’s usually waiting when I come out.” Bree frowned as she scanned the parking lot and still didn’t see the familiar vehicle that would tell her someone had arrived to collect her.

“My mommy’s late too,” Ashley said.

“That looks like her car,” Bree said pointing as a car pulled into the lot.

“Yep,” Ashley said with a smile. “Gotta go. See ya, Bree, Winona.” The little girl ran over to the car. She waved before she climbed in and then the car drove away.

“I think your Dada’s very handsome,” Winona told Bree.

“I know,” Bree said with a sigh. Winona must have told her that a million times.

“Is that him?” Winona asked pointing at the big SUV that had just pulled up. “That looks like your Dada,” she added as the man got out and waved at Bree.

“That’s my Unca John,” Bree said.

“He looks a lot like your Dada.”

“I know. Bye, Winona,” Bree called as she headed to the car. She and Patrick met part way there. Patrick had been tossing around a tennis ball with his friends while he waited for whoever was picking them up.

“Hey, Bree,” Patrick said. “Is Winona giving you a hard time again?”

“Nope. She thought your dad was my Dada. I think she has a crush on Dada.”

“A crush?” Patrick asked with a laugh as they arrived at the SUV.

“Who’s got a crush?” John asked looking askance at the two children.

“Winona has a crush on Uncle Bri,” Patrick giggled. “At least that’s what Bree thinks.”

“What makes you think that?” John asked while he made sure Bree was secure in her booster seat.

“Winona always waits for Dada to pick me up, and she says how handsome he is, and then she looks all goo-goo eyes when she sees him,” Bree explained with a tinge of disgust in her voice. “She should know she can’t have my Dada. Daddy wouldn’t like that. And she’s not old enough. So there!”

“Make sure you explain it that way to your Dada if you ever tell him about Winona,” John told her.

“What way?” Bree asked with a frown.

“That Winona’s too young for him,” Patrick said, quickly having clued into what his father was saying about Winona’s age. “Uncle Bri doesn’t like it when you say he’s too old for something, so say that Winona’s too young.”

“Oh,” Bree said considering Patrick’s words. And then she added, “But Winona can’t have him anyway. It’s just stupid.”

“You got that right,” John laughed, “so let’s talk about something else.”

“Where is my Dada?”

“He’s gone to pick up Gus at Penn State,” John explained. “Didn’t he tell you that?”

“Gus?” Bree squealed with delight. “Gus is coming home? Yay!”

“Didn’t Brian tell you?” John repeated. He realized he might just have spilled the beans.

“No, he said he had an errand to do, and he might not be able to pick us up. Why didn’t he tell me?”

“I bet he wanted it to be a surprise. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it,” John said mentally kicking himself in the behind for speaking out of turn.

“I won’t tell him,” Bree said solemnly, feeling the need to protect her uncle from the wrath of Brian Kinney. “I can be real surprised when Gus comes home. I love Gus!” she declared.

“We know, sweetheart, and thanks for trying to save my hide.

“I love you too, Unca John.”

“I love you right back,” John said with a big smile into the rearview mirror.

Patrick grinned at his father and his favorite cousin. He was glad Gus was coming home too.



*****



“Is that everything?” Brian asked putting the last bag in the back of Justin’s SUV.

“Yep, I’m ready,” Gus said.

“Then let’s get this show on the road,” Brian replied opening the driver’s side door. As he was about to climb inside, he had a different thought. “How about you drive us home?” he asked his son.

“Me?” Gus asked in surprise. This wasn’t at all what he had suspected would happen. He was worrying that his father was going to tell him that he couldn’t go see Ray after Christmas.

“Don’t you want to drive?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Of course I do,” Gus said with a smile as he came around to the driver’s side of the car.

“Then get in.”

“But it’s winter,” Gus said.

“The roads are dry and clear. If the weather turns bad, we can switch places, or you can practice driving in inclement weather.”

“Gee, Pop, thanks for trusting me,” Gus said as he got behind the wheel.

“I’ll always trust you, Sonny Boy, until you prove to me that I shouldn’t.”

“I hope I never do that,” Gus said sincerely.

“That makes two of us.”

They drove out of the university area and Gus navigated them onto the main highway. They drove along in silence for a while, until Gus couldn’t stand it any longer. He needed to know what his father wanted to discuss with him. He thought he might ease into it gradually.

“So, how’s my driving so far?” Gus asked.

“Not bad.”

Gus smiled, as that meant he was doing pretty good. “Thanks for letting me drive, Pop.”

“No problem.”

“Um … Pop, I can’t stand it any longer. What did you want to discuss with me?” So much for being cool about it.

Brian stifled a chuckle. “I know you want to go to New York after Christmas to see a certain young man,” Brian began.

“Yeah, I really need to see Ray.”

Brian raised an eyebrow. “Need, huh?”

Gus blushed. “Yes, you know what it’s like to need someone.”

“I suppose I do,” Brian said thinking about how much he needed Justin, and how he could never let Justin go to England on his own for a whole month without him. He would go crazy if that happened.

“You’re not going to tell me that I can’t go see Ray, are you?” Gus asked. He held his breath waiting for his father to answer. He just had to go to New York and see Ray.

“Is that what you thought I was going to tell you?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, you obviously don’t know me very well.”

“Huh? I don’t?” Gus asked in confusion. Had he been totally wrong in his reading of the situation?

“No, you don’t. I know you want to go visit Ray, and I won’t stand in your way of doing that.”

“Gee, thanks, Pop.”

“But…”

“But?’

“But, I have a request to make, and I want you to think about it carefully,” Brian explained.

“Sure, but what is it? The suspense is killing me.” Gus gripped the steering wheel hard making his knuckles turn white.

“Calm down, Sonny Boy. You’re way too tense, and that won’t help your driving.”

“I’m trying, Pop, but will you just fucking tell me.”

“Okay, okay,” Brian said. “I’d like you to go to New York right after Christmas so you can have your week with Ray. But then I want you to come to England with Justin and your sister and me … until you have to go back to school at the end of January.”

Gus swallowed hard. England? He knew his father and Justin were working out a plan to go there, but now his dad wanted him to go too, and Bree. He turned briefly to stare at his father.

“Eyes on the road,” Brian ordered.

“Sorry, Pop.” That was all he said. His brain was trying to process what his father had told him.

“So what do you think?”

“You want me to go to England with you?”

Brian nodded. “I do. I think it will be a good education for you. You should see the world. There’s lots of culture to be soaked up in England … history, art, sights to see.”

“Jeez, Pop, why didn’t you tell me this before?”

“I’ve been trying to work out the details about taking Bree out of school and where we’re going to stay.”

“I can’t get my mind around it,” Gus admitted.

“Would you like to come with us?” Brian asked. That was the crux of the question. Gus was a young man. He might not want to spend a whole month with his family.

Gus thought about it for a minute. “I still get my week with Ray?”

“Yes you do. I thought we could fly to England through New York and pick you up the day after New Year’s. How does that sound?”

“I think it sounds … fabulous!”

Brian laughed out loud. “You really are gay, aren’t you?”

“Wh…What do you mean?”

“You just used Emmett’s favorite word.”

“Then I guess that makes me gay,” Gus chuckled. “I think Ray will vouch for that fact too.”

“You’ll come to England with us then?”

“I’d love to, Pop. It sounds like an experience of a lifetime.”

Brian smiled. “You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that. I think this trip will be good for all of us. And Bree will be over the moon that you’re coming with us.”

“She’s probably waiting for me at the front door of the house right now,” Gus laughed.

“I didn’t tell her you were coming home early.”

“Oh, why not?”

“I didn’t think I’d get her to go to school today if I did, and she has her Christmas concert tomorrow evening.”

“She’s going to be so hyper.”

“You got that right.”

A while later, Gus pulled the SUV into the driveway of Edna’s Treasures. The front door of the cottage flew open and a little blonde whirlwind came racing out of the house.

“Gus!” Bree shrieked as she flung herself into Gus’ arms, hardly giving him time to get out of the car. Justin and John followed her out to greet Gus.

“I thought it was going to be a surprise,” Brian said to the two men. John looked sheepish and Justin shrugged.

“It’s my fault,” John said. “I spilled the beans on the way home from school. She said she’d act surprised,” he added.

Bree heard the end of that conversation. “Oh Gus! I’m so surprised to see you,” she said, batting her eyes at her brother and trying to sound sincere. She failed miserably.

The men all laughed. Bree merely grinned. She was too happy to see Gus to care.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 4





“Dada, are you sure you and Daddy are coming to my Winter Festival tonight?” Bree asked with disbelief in her tone.

Brian and Justin had just picked up Bree and Patrick from school. They were going to have an early dinner so that later in the evening the whole Edna’s Treasures family could drive over to the school for the concert. Gus was staying at Edna’s Treasures until the moms and JR drove up to their own cottage on the weekend. The siblings wanted to spend some of the holiday together before Gus flew off to New York to spend New Year’s with Ray and his family.

“Yes, Squirt, that’s the plan. Why?”

“Becauuuuse,” Bree whined as they pulled up in front of Edna’s Treasures. Brian parked, turned off the engine then twisted around in his seat so that he could glare at his daughter. Brian didn’t like his statement questioned. Justin and Patrick waited silently for the inevitable clash of the titans.

“Briana,” Brian said softly, “because why?” Bree saw the seriousness in his father’s eyes and decided that honesty was the best policy. She took a deep breath before answering.

“Sheldon’s gonna have a very important part in the band and his daddy can’t come because Uncle Teddy has important work and you and Uncle Teddy do important work together and I think our Winter Festival is important and I want to make sure you and Daddy come and Sheldon is sad cause his daddy can’t come.”

“I see,” Brian said. “Mr. Harmon has important work for Uncle Ted.”

“Yes, Dada.”

“Hmm,” Brian murmured. Before the heat could leach out of the car, Brian grabbed Justin’s wrist to see the time. He then quickly took out his cell and punched in a very familiar number.

“Schmidt!” Brian growled into his cell. The occupants of the Cherokee could hear Ted’s voice murmuring in Brian’s ear.

“Yes, boss!”

“I hear that Harmon has important work to do today...”

“Uh...”

“So important that he is unable to go to the Winter Festival at the school tonight to see his son play...” Brian looked at Bree.

“The triangle, Dada!”

“So important that he can’t see his son play the triangle tonight. Tell me this is all some big misunderstanding, Schmidt.”

“M..m...misunderstanding. Oh yes, Brian, a very big misunderstanding. As a matter of fact I was just about to call over to my office and urge Albert to leave now so that he could get home in time to enjoy dinner with his family and then get to the school!”

“That’s what I thought you’d do, Theodore.”

“Anything to preserve the sanctity of family, Bri.”

“Very good, Theodore.”

“Anything else, boss?”

“That’s it for now, Schmidt,” Brian said as he snapped his cell phone shut and smiled at Bree and Patrick.

“Who’s up for hot cocoa?” Justin asked as he looked over at the kids.

“MEEE!” Bree and Patrick responded cheerfully and loudly. Brian and Justin quickly unsnapped the kids out of their seat belt and booster seat so that they could run into the house.

“Rage saves the day,” Justin said as he snaked his arm around his spouse’s waist as they walked through the front door. Justin hung up his coat then went to make the hot chocolate. The holiday break was coming soon so the children had little homework to do. Besides, they were very excited to be participating in their concert.

“Maybe,” Brian mumbled as he excused himself for the privacy of his bedroom. As he took off his coat, Brian redialed his phone.

“Brian, I just spoke to Albert; he’s packing it up as we speak. He’ll make it to the concert,” Ted reassured his boss.

“Ted...”

“I’m sorry, Brian, I didn’t realize how important the Winter Festival is to Harmon and his family.”

“Teddy...”

“It won’t happen again, Bri.”

“Schmidt!”

“Yes, boss,” Ted automatically answered, waiting for the dressing down he assumed he was going to get.

“Thank you.”

“Th..thank you?”

“Yes, Ted, thank you. I know this is a tough time for your clients. Year end tax shelters, deductions and 401K stuff. I’m sure you really needed to have Albert there doing whatever you number crunchers do at this time of the year. But Bree had doubts that Justin and I are going to attend her concert tonight.”

“Why?”

“She made the association that since you and I work together on important matters and that you and Albert work together, since he couldn’t attend...”

“Ah! I see. May I ask you something?”

“Go ahead.”

“When I spoke to Albert he mentioned that several employees were in similar situations. Of course, Albert is the only one with the long commute. The rest live in the neighborhood and are able to attend their own children’s school activities. As you are aware, I have no children.”

“Thank the gods.”

“Be that as it may, I’d like to think I’m a considerate employer. You always seemed to know when someone has a special event, and you arrange a flexible work day. How do you do it?”

“I ask, Schmidt.”

“You ask?”

“Yes, I ask. And if possible I request a copy of the school calendar. School holidays don’t always coincide with the more traditional or national holidays. Sometimes accommodations and compromises must be made. We’re one of the lucky ones, Ted. We’re in a business that allows for this. And...”

“And, what, Bri?”

“Family is important. Believe it or not, you’re a big part of my family. If I could’ve invited all of Liberty Avenue to Bree’s first concert, I would have. But it’s a small auditorium so it’s just us.”

“Is Gus going?”

“Yes.”

“Let him film it. I’d love to see it at Christmas and I’m sure Albert would like a copy. Gus is a wonderful cinema photographer. Who wouldn’t want a Gus Kinney film?”

“Good idea, Ted. You have a good night and we’ll see you at Christmas.”

“You can count on that, Brian.”

“Count on it?”

“A little accounting humor, Bri.”

“Very little, Schmidt.”

“Night, boss.”

“Later, Ted.” As Brian cut the connection, Justin came into the room.

“Everything okay?” Justin asked as he had a hug for his Rage.

“Fine, Sunshine. Any hot cocoa left for me?”

“Plenty,” Justin said as they tenderly kissed. They broke apart then touched foreheads. “Come on, I’ll pour you some,” Justin whispered. Brian nodded then hand in hand they walked to the kitchen.



*****



“Whose idea was it to design such hard uncomfortable seats and make little kids sit in them? Not to mention that my ass isn’t very happy either sitting here,” Brian griped. John had driven the family back to the school after dinner for the final festival program run through. They decided to stay instead of driving all the way back home. They would have only had to turn around right away to make it in time for the start of the performance. That meant spending extra time seated on the hard folding auditorium chairs.

“And the way these things flip up! I almost lost a finger. I need all my fingers,” Brian grumbled.

“Brian, you’re a pain in the ass, do you know that?” Justin scowled at his grumpy mate.

“No, this chair is a pain in the ass,” Brian countered.

“If you didn’t have such a skinny bony ass, you wouldn't have this problem,” Justin snapped back.

“We can’t all have your padding, Sunshine,” Brian snarked.

“Boys!” John growled at the two of them then gave them a very convincing death glare. The glare worked and there was no more talk about asses and uncomfortable seats.

“Mr. Kinney?” the principal called out as he walked up the aisle to where they were all sitting.

“Principal Johnson?” Brian stood as he answered.

“Mr. Kinney...”

“Brian.”

“Brian. The concert is about to begin and we’ve just learned that the photographer we hired to film this year’s concert has the flu. This young man is your son?” Principal Johnson asked, indicating Gus. Gus had been getting some candid shots of the kids during the rehearsal.

“Yes, he is,” Brian replied.

“The same young man who is associated with Mr. Taylor’s fractal movie?”

“The very same,” Brian said proudly.

“Would it be possible for...?”

“Gus.”

“For Gus to film the concert. We’ll pay him the same rate we agreed to pay the original photographer.”

“I can’t take money for this,” Gus was quick to say.

“Young man, before I became the principal, I was an art teacher. I have had the pleasure of seeing the fractal movie several times. It’s a remarkable film. I hope you’re doing something with your talent.”

“I’m in a dual program at Penn and at PIFA,” Gus admitted quietly.

“I’m glad to hear it. And college students need extra money, so if you agree to film the concert, you will be paid.”

“Yes, sir,” Gus said with a big smile. “Is that okay with you, Pop?”

Brian’s smile was just as big as his son’s. “Go forth and film, Sonny Boy,” Brian decreed with a wave of his hand then sat back down in his seat. All thoughts of discomfort were immediately forgotten as the principal ushered Gus to his vantage point.

“Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way
Bells on bob tails ring
Making spirits bright
What fun it is to laugh and sing
A sleighing song tonight

Oh, jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh
Jingle bells, jingle bells
Jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh”

Bree, being small in stature but not small in voice, was in the first row as her class sang their rendition of Jingle Bells. Patrick with his bells and Sheldon with his triangle, were seated in the orchestra pit along with the rest of the band, accompanying the singing class. Each participating class was going to perform a seasonal song and then for the finale, all the kids were going to get back on the stage to sing “America The Beautiful.” Gus filmed it all.

“Dada! Daddy! Did you see me? Did you see me?”

“We saw you, baby girl!” Justin answered as he scooped up his daughter and gave her a big hug. Brian reached over Justin’s shoulder to give his daughter a kiss.

“We saw both of you,” Brian said as Patrick came over to his proud fathers. He ruffled his nephew’s hair. “You were both wonderful.”

“We’re so proud of you!” John said beaming with pride and touching fists with his son. Bobby couldn’t help hugging his son.

“Pop!”

“Hey, Sonny Boy, you have what you need to edit the film?”

“Yep!” he said as he patted his front pocket. “Mr. Johnson let me use the school’s digital camera. I have the memory card. I told him that it’ll be easier for me to edit the film on my laptop. I’ll burn copies for us and a master copy for the school. I think they’re going to use the film for fundraising.”

“Can you get this done before Christmas?” Brian asked. The family was going to be very busy shortly.

“Piece of cake, Pop!”

“Then let’s get this show on the road,” Brian said, encouraging the family toward the main exit so they could go home. They almost made it.

“Mr. Kinney!” a somewhat harsh voice called out. When Brian turned he saw Winona marching toward them followed by a very large woman. Brian paled.

“Sunshine, if you love me, you’ll help me out here,” Brian mumbled out of the side of his mouth.

“See, Mommy, I told you Briana’s Dada was handsome,” Winona declared. Bree and Brian both sighed as John, Bobby and Justin snickered.

“Hi, Winona,” Bree and Patrick singsonged. Winona made little acknowledgment as she and her mother stood in awe of all things Kinney.

“And who is this?” Winona’s mom asked as she caught a good look at John, the other handsome Kinney. Brian snickered.

“John Anderson, ma’am,” John said politely, shaking the hand that was thrust in front of him.

Seeing that the dads had no clue how to make a clean getaway, Gus came to the rescue.

“Pop, we’re on a tight schedule, remember. Editing, Christmas, London and stuff,” Gus said with wide eyes and cocking his head toward the door.

“Ah, yes, right you are. Stuff! Much stuff. Ladies, it’s been real, but we gotta go. Have a good night.” Grabbing Justin and Bree’s hand, Brian made a hasty retreat. “Come along, Squirt, Sunshine, places to go, people to see,” Brian murmured as he led his family out to the parking lot. John smiled at the ladies, grabbed his redheads and made tracks right behind his brother. Gus easily kept up, laughing all the way.



*****



“Thank you for rescuing us from those … women, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as they pulled out of the parking lot.

Gus laughed. “You looked like you could use a little help.”

“Winona’s not a woman,” Bree piped up.

“She will be when she grows up, and her mother certainly is.”

“Don’t you like Winona and her mother?” Bree questioned. There was no response. “Dada?”

Brian looked over at Justin hoping for some help from that direction. Justin merely shrugged. Brian scowled and tried to think of how he might answer Bree’s question.

Gus stepped in once again, seeing his father’s dilemma. “I think Winona’s kind of pushy, and so’s her mother.”

“Pushy?” Bree asked.

“Yeah, she likes to have her own way and do whatever she wants.”

Bree looked thoughtful. “That’s pushy?” Gus nodded. “Then Winona’s pushy.” Gus smiled at her. Bree sat thoughtfully for a minute as they drove along. “Gus,” she said after a bit.

“Yes.”

“Am I pushy?”

“You have your moments,” Gus said honestly.

Bree frowned and then her face gradually took on a sad look. Gus waited for her to say something, but she didn’t.

The silence began to feel oppressive to Gus. “Bree, are you okay?” he asked. Bree shrugged. “I’m sorry if you didn’t want me to say that you’re pushy.”

Bree remained silent. Brian was watching the interaction in the rearview mirror. Justin was listening intently even though he tried to look nonchalant.

“Bree?”

“What?”

“Are you mad at me?” Gus asked.

“No, but I don’t want to be pushy. That means nobody will like me. You said I’m pushy, so I’m just like Winona. Nobody likes me.” She felt a big tear well up in her eye and trickle down her face.

“Bree, I didn’t mean to upset you. I was just explaining why we wanted to get away from Winona and her mother,” Gus said, trying to backtrack and get himself out of the mess he had created.

“But I like to have my own way and do whatever I want. That makes me pushy, and nobody likes me.”

Gus heaved a sigh. “Pop, Justin, I think I screwed this all up. Help!”

Justin decided it was time to get involved. “Gus, do you like to have your own way and do whatever you want?”

“Um, yeah,” Gus admitted. “Everybody does,” he added for good measure. He wondered where Justin was going with this.

“How about you, Brian?”

Brian raised an eyebrow before replying. “Has there ever been any question that I like my own way?”

Justin chuckled. “I’ve never had a problem knowing that you like to have things all your own way.” That earned him a glare.

“Your point?” Brian asked.

“I’m going to England in a few days. Do you want me to go?”

“No.”

“Then why aren’t you making a huge fuss about it, so that I’ll stay home and you’ll get what you want?”

“Because … I love you, and I know it’s for the best that you go,” Brian said slowly.

Justin smiled at him and squeezed his thigh. “So, you put me and your family ahead of your own wants and needs?”

“I guess so,” Brian replied.

“I know so!” Justin declared. “And that’s the difference, Bree. Winona and her mother, from what little I’ve seen of them, never put anyone in front of what they want. That makes them selfish and pushy. It’s okay to be pushy. You don’t get anywhere if you don’t stand up for yourself. But you also need to know when to forget what you want and do what’s best for your family and for people that are important to you. You are pushy sometimes, Bree, but you also know when Patrick or Ashley or Gus or any of our family need your help, and then you put them first. Do you understand what I’m saying, Bree?”

Bree wiped the tear from her face and looked into her father’s eyes. “I share,” she said. That was her simple way of acknowledging the lesson she had learned a long time ago. That was how she had learned about the way to treat family and friends, and even people who might be strangers but who needed something from her.

“Exactly,” Justin said. “And we all love you as a result. Even more, we like you. You’re a wonderful little girl.”

“And the best sister,” Gus said.

“The best daughter a man could ever have,” Brian added as John pulled up in front of the cottage. “I’m a very lucky man to have such wonderful children and such a smart mate.”

“Love you, Daddy, Dada, Gus,” Bree said, smiling once again, as she hopped down from the back of the SUV.

“And a Merry Christmas to us all,” Brian said as they headed inside.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 5





“Do I have to go to school today?” Bree asked the following morning. She had been up late and was so excited about the concert that she had trouble getting to sleep. She was still in her pajamas picking at her Cheerios and looking less than wide awake.

“Yes, sweetheart,” Justin said.

“But I don’t want to,” Bree said with a big yawn.

“Sometimes we have to do things we don’t want to,” Justin reminded her.

Bree looked like she was about to argue the point when she remembered the discussion they had in the car after the concert. “Are the cupcakes ready?” she asked.

“Yep, all two dozen,” Justin said as he finished icing the last one and placed it in the big box he had got from Emmett.

“Thank you for making them for me, Daddy. I love your cupcakes and so does Ashley. Winona likes them too.”

“Then I guess you better finish your breakfast, so you and Dada can take them to school.”

“Why aren’t you bringing them?”

“Because I’m going into Pittsburgh. I have some last minute things to do. Auntie Lindsay is meeting you and Dada at school.”

“She’s going to teach me when we’re away?” Bree asked.

“Yes, she’s coming with us. She’ll teach you and Patrick.”

“Is JR coming too?”

“No, she’s going to be spending time with her other mother.”

“Does she mind that she’s not going with us? I’ll miss her.”

“I’m sure she’ll miss you too, but Melanie really wants some time with JR. They’ll have fun while we’re gone.”

“’Kay, Daddy.”

“Are you done eating?”

“Yep.”

“Then go get dressed and find all the books that have to be returned to the school library.”

“’Kay,” Bree said before sliding down off her chair and running to her bedroom.

“Brian!” Justin called.

“Yes, oh mighty pastry chef,” Brian called back as he descended the stairs from his office.

“Emmett would not take kindly to that reference unless it’s being made about him,” Justin laughed.

“Point taken. How did the cupcakes turn out?”

“Perfect! They’re some of my best. Want one?”

“Save me one for later,” Brian requested.

Justin smiled and took one of the cupcakes out of the box, placing it in the fridge. “We may need this for sustenance later tonight.”

“Ooh, I like the sound of that,” Brian chuckled lifting his eyebrows up and down in a most suggestive manner.

“Stop that,” Justin ordered. “You’re making me hard.”

Brian merely smiled. “You’re so easy.”

Justin gave him a little smack, before saying, “Bree’s almost ready. Is Lindsay on her way?”

Brian nodded. “I just talked to her on her cell phone. She’ll meet me at the principal’s office in about a half hour.”

“Jeez, the logistics of this trip are starting to fry my brain.”

“I know the feeling, but remember that everything we do now means less we’ll have to do later. I think we’ve just about got all the loose ends tied up.”

“From your lips to Sidney’s ears.”

“Is he giving you a hard time?” Brian asked pulling Justin into a warm hug.

“No, not really, but he’s almost as anal as you.”

“Not in quite the same way I hope,” Brian said with a chuckle. He rubbed his groin against Justin’s.

“Hardly!”

“Ready, Dada,” Bree said interrupting. “Is Gus still sleeping?”

“Yeah, you’ll see him when you get home.”

“How come he gets to sleep and I have to go to school?” Bree wanted to know.

Brian looked at Justin for another profound answer like the one he had given the previous evening.

“Sometimes them’s the breaks, kiddo,” Justin said as he helped Bree on with her coat. Brian couldn’t help the snort that escaped his lips.



*****



“Brian, am I late? It took me longer to get here than I thought?” Lindsay said as she rushed into the outer office of the school and saw Brian sitting on a bench.

“No, the principal’s in with some other poor schmo. We’re next.”

Lindsay took off her coat and folded it into her lap as she sat down beside Brian. She looked around taking in the neatly kept office with a staff who seemed to be working very efficiently. After a minute she let out a little chuckle.

“What?” Brian asked.

“Remember the last time we were sitting in a school like this?”

“Yeah, when you were trying to get Gus into that preschool.”

“Right, and we pretended to be married.”

“Yeah.”

“What a fiasco! They turned him down in favor of a child from a same sex couple.”

“Irony, thy name is Lindsay Peterson.”

“What does that mean?” Lindsay asked with a frown.

Brian shrugged. “I think you can figure it out.”

Lindsay swallowed. She remembered asking Brian that day if he had ever imagined them as a real couple with their son waiting at the school, and Brian had emphatically said no. It was a memory that she didn’t much like. But they had both moved on long ago. This was no time for such thoughts.

“Remember when you found the fireman’s hat and pretended that you were hosing down a building?”

“I did a lot of hosing back in those days,” Brian stated.

“And I asked you not to say dick.”

“And pre-dick-tably I did.”

Lindsay laughed. “You are so bad.”

“Mr. Kinney, the principal will see you now,” the secretary said.

Brian stood up and waited for Lindsay to do the same. He let her precede him into the office, hoping this little trip down memory lane wouldn’t put a damper on their plans for the trip to England.



*****



“Justin, my lad, why the long face? Not many young artists can boast about having an exhibit at the London National Gallery,” Sidney expounded. Justin and Sidney were taking a short break in Sidney’s office.

“I know that, Sidney, and I am very grateful. I realize how lucky I’ve been, but Christmas is less than a week away and all I’ve been doing is supervising the wrapping and packing of my work. Not the wrapping and packing of Christmas presents. If it wasn’t for the fact that Brian is an expert at online purchases, we wouldn’t have any presents to give. He even has them coming wrapped and labeled. All we have to do is take them out of the box and shove them under our tree. Only we haven’t bought a tree. Sidney, the whole family is coming for Christmas and nothing’s done,” Justin sighed as he plopped himself down on a chair in Sidney’s office.

“Justin, this is a very big opportunity. I’m sure your family will understand.”

“I know and I’m sure you’re right.” The artist and mentor were quiet for a moment, seemingly lost in thought.

“Justin, have you given any thought in regards to your next project?” Sidney asked hesitantly. He wasn’t sure if Justin was in any frame of mind to consider a next project.

“Funny you should mention it, but yeah, I have.”

Sidney perked up. “May I ask what you have in mind?”

“I’d like to get back to my roots. I’ve been painting and working in metal and there was the fractal movie. I’d like to get back to sketching,”

“Really?”

“Yes. When I asked Brian’s opinion about which paintings I should take, he naturally picked out several of his nudes. I chided him about it but he’s right. I have never grown tired of drawing him or painting him. He grows more beautiful every day. Sometimes, when I think I’ve hit a brick wall, I take out my sketch pad and draw him. I’ve done studies on his hands and feet. He doesn’t have to sit for me; I can draw all of him from memory. Same goes for Bree and Patrick. And I must have dozens of sketches of Gus through the years. Boring, huh?”

“Never boring, my boy. You love and adore your family. You express your love in your renderings; it’s the most natural thing in the world. Justin, you are at an interesting point in your career; you’re about to burst forth in Europe. But they don’t know you like we do. Why don’t you educate them?”

“How?”

“Chronicle Justin Taylor.”

“I don’t understand.”

“You say you can draw Brian from memory. Can you picture him when you first met?”

“Definitely. And I have hundreds of sketches of him from that time.”

“Then use them and the other sketches of your family to tell your story. Start before your attack.”

“But I was a kid.”

“A kid with such potential talent. And then things changed, didn’t it? The bashing changed the way you saw the world and it was reflected in your work, wasn’t it?”

Justin nodded. “I couldn’t work for a long time. Brian changed that.”

“Then use that. Justin, you’ve always produced your art from your heart, let your heart teach the world about Justin Taylor.”

“I’ll think about it.”

“Fair enough. Now let’s finish up around here so you can get back to your family.”

“Okay, Sidney.”

Break time over, the artist and his mentor got back to work.



*****



“Mr. Kinney!” Principal Johnson greeted Brian enthusiastically. “Didn’t we just see each other a few hours ago?”

“It’s Brian, and it seems like it. May I introduce Ms. Lindsay Peterson. Lindsay is Gus’ mother.”

“Very nice to meet you, Ms. Peterson. You have a very talented son and he was a life saver last night.”

“Oh?”

“Forgive me, Mr. Johnson. I haven’t had the chance to fill Lindsay in.”

“Then please allow me,” the principal said as he offered Brian and Lindsay a seat. “Our Winter Festival was last night and there was a record turnout. Our photographer came down with the flu, so we had no one to film the performance until your son stepped in. The children loved him. Apparently, he was very popular with some of the young ladies.”

Brian snorted. “Excuse me,” he mumbled. “Mr. Johnson, Gus asked me to deliver this to you.” Brian handed the principal a DVD and the memory card.

“It’s completed, already?”

“Gus was up most of the night working on it. He wanted to make sure you had it before we left for England. We plan to leave right after the New Year.”

“You do have a copy for your family?”

“Yes, and one for Albert Harmon, his son is Sheldon Harmon.”

“Yes, of course. The young man on the triangle. Well, after I preview this, I’ll share it with our teachers and at our last assembly before the winter break. Which leads us to why we’re meeting today. I understand Mr. Taylor is planning to go to London.”

“Yes,” Lindsay replied. “He has been invited by the London National Gallery to exhibit a variety of his work. This is a wonderful opportunity. Not many living artists are invited to display their work there.”

“I do understand what a great honor this is. As I explained to Brian last night, I was an art teacher before becoming a principal. I still keep up with the art news and I’ve visited the Bloom Gallery many times. However, I am concerned that Briana and Patrick will fall behind if they accompany their fathers on this trip.”

Brian bristled but Lindsay spoke up before he could say anything.

“Mr. Johnson, I too am a teacher,” Lindsay said as she produced a copy of her Pennsylvania teaching credentials for the principal. “Under normal circumstances I would agree with you, taking children out of school for an extended period of time can be detrimental. They lose continuity that they may never regain; however, Briana and Patrick are not your typical children. They’re both very bright and gifted. I believe if we follow a precise curriculum, they can be successfully home schooled for the time we’re in London. And you must admit London itself will be an education for them.”

“Are you saying that you will be going on this trip with the family and you will be in charge of their lessons?”

“Yes. Sidney Bloom has a lot invested in Justin and this exhibit. I will be the Bloom Gallery’s representative in London. The London gallery expressly requested to meet Justin. Justin won’t go without Brian and neither one wants to leave Bree behind. Gus will be going as well as Patrick’s fathers. Brian has arranged to rent a home for the time we’re there so we will have a quiet place to hold our lessons. Mr. Johnson, Bree and Patrick are very special children. They’ve grown up with very special fathers who have exposed their minds to many of the wonders this world has to offer and tempered that with a quiet, simple life out in the country. I am confident Briana and Patrick will not fall behind. I will test them regularly. I’m sure we can fax over their homework, reports, and tests to you.”

“That will be helpful. Brian, I haven’t heard much from you.”

“I couldn’t have stated my position any better than Lindsay has. As Brian Kinney, owner and CEO of Kinnetik, I know Justin Taylor is an incredible talent on the verge of breaking into the European market. But I’m also Brian, Justin’s life partner. I know him better than anyone else. He needs his family’s support, including his daughter. I’m not taking anything for granted. As smart as Briana is, I recognize the risks we’re taking. But Lindsay knows that when I make up my mind, it’s difficult to change it. I’ll make you a promise that the children will stick to a schedule that you and Lindsay agree to. And I never lie.”



*****



“What are we going to do about a tree?” Justin asked as he stood in the sun porch. It didn’t look very festive, just the way it always looked. Justin had to wonder what had happened to Christmas this year. They had been so busy getting ready for their trip to London that Christmas had really been put on the back burner.

Justin had arrived home only a few minutes before. Brian had returned from his meeting with the principal where he and Lindsay had discussed textbooks and syllabuses for all the courses that Patrick and Bree would be responsible for while they were absent. Gus was currently in the shower, having only gotten up a while before. He had slept most of the day following his marathon editing session of the video he had taken of the Winter Festival.

“Do we need a tree?” Brian asked, as he stood beside Justin. They both stared at the empty spot where their huge Christmas trees of years past had always stood.

“What’s Christmas without a tree?”

“I never much thought about it,” Brian admitted. “Christmas is just another day.”

“You are so full of shit!”

“What do you mean?” Brian asked. He had been trying to make things easier for Justin. Without a tree they wouldn’t have to worry about decorating and all the other Christmas crap that went with it.

“You know you’ve come to love Christmas.”

“Maybe … just a little bit,” Brian admitted.

Justin turned and pulled his husband into a hug. “We’re going to have a beautiful Christmas. We can get a tree on Saturday.”

“What about right now?”

“Bree will be very disappointed if we don’t take her with us. You need to pick her up from school soon.”

“We could stop by a tree lot on the way home.”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?”

“Oh? What?”

“You promised to go to your mother’s for dinner, and then to her church Christmas concert.”

“Fuck!”

“You did forget,” Justin chuckled.

“I think it’s psychological.”

“You don’t really want to go,” Justin suggested.

“Church has never been one of my favorite places.”

“I know, but it’s Christmas, and Bree will love the music. And your mother will be very happy to have you with her.”

“Thanks for the pep talk. I better go get Bree. Make sure you and Gus are ready to go when I get home. We’ll be on a tight schedule to get to my mother’s in time for dinner followed by the lovely concert at her church.”

“I guess that means no fooling around,” Justin said batting his eyes at Brian. He gave his husband a little squeeze before releasing him.

“Shit! I knew there was a reason I didn’t want to go to this fucking concert.”

“The fucking will come later.”

“It better,” Brian said with a leer, before he ran out the door to get their daughter.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 6





“That was delicious, Joan,” Justin said, as he cleaned his plate.

Joan had made them a wonderful dinner of prime rib roast complete with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.

“Thank you, dear,” Joan said with a smile.

“Good,” Bree and Gus chimed in.

“Not bad,” Brian said. “I don’t remember you cooking a meal like this when I was growing up.”

“We never had the money for prime rib,” Joan said with just a tinge of bitterness in her voice.

“Well, this was a good meal,” Brian said giving his stamp of approval to the meal, and earning a smile from Joan.

“I made us your favorite chocolate, chocolate chip cake for dessert,” Joan added, “but I think we should leave it till the concert’s over. I want to get a good seat at the church.”

“Then we better get cracking,” Justin said.

They all got up and helped fill the dishwasher.

Before long they were strolling down the street towards the church. Brian had Joan’s arm linked through his, as he led the way. Justin and Gus each held one of Bree’s hands. She skipped along happily between them bundled up against the cold. The recent snow lay along the edge of the sidewalk, but the cement was clear and safe for walking.

When they arrived at the church, Joan found them space in the third pew from the front. Then she went to speak to some of her friends. Brian and Justin could see her pointing and smiling at them.

“She’s bragging about you,” Justin said as he nudged Brian.

“She’s bragging about her handsome grandson and her beautiful granddaughter,” Brian corrected.

“And her handsome son too,” Justin insisted.

Brian smiled. “And her handsome son’s gorgeous partner.”

“You are going to get so lucky when we get home tonight.” Justin held Brian’s hand a little tighter.

Brian merely grinned.

The concert was made up of many familiar Christmas carols and a few hymns. Reverend Butterfield gave a moving homily about the true meaning of Christmas and everyone left feeling at least a smidge of Christmas spirit, Brian Kinney included.

As they walked along the street, heading back to Joan’s house, Gus asked his sister, “What did you like best about the concert, short stuff?”

“The singing,” she replied quickly.

“You like to sing, don’t you?”

“I love it,” she said enthusiastically.

“Which song did you like best?”

Bree thought for a moment. “The songs all sound really nice in the big church. I liked the lady that played the organ. It sounded better than in the school when we sang We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Mrs. Jensen played the piano real good at our Winter Festival, but the organ sounded soooo good.”

“The acoustics in a church are often really beautiful,” Justin said.

“What’s acoustics?” Bree asked.

“The sound inside a building. The high ceilings in a church and all the open space and the people add to that wonderful sound.”

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully. “Is that why the organ sounds better than the piano?”

“That probably has something to do with it,” Justin conceded.

“Do you play the organ, Daddy?”

“Nope, ‘fraid not.”

“Gus, do you?”

“No, Bree, I never learned to play an instrument.”

“I think I’d like to play the piano,” Bree said as she thought about it.

“Maybe when you get back from your world travels,” Brian said as he turned to look at his daughter, “we could see about some piano lessons for you.”

“Yeah, maybe,” Bree agreed.

“So, was We Wish You a Merry Christmas your favorite song from tonight?” Gus asked.

“Yeah,” Bree conceded. “I want everyone to have a Merry Christmas,” she said earnestly. “I love Christmas.”

“That’s a lovely sentiment, dear,” Joan said smiling at her granddaughter as they arrived back at her house.

“I know,” Bree agreed. “But what’s a figgy pudding?”

“Huh?” Gus asked.

“You know, Gus, when the song says 'Bring us some figgy pudding'. What is it? Everybody seems to want some,” Bree explained.

Gus laughed. “I have no idea what it is,” Gus admitted. He took everyone’s coat and hung them up by the front door.

“I’m just going to turn the hot chocolate on,” Joan said as she headed for the kitchen.

“Daddy, do you know what figgy pudding is?”

“Sorry, sweetheart, I can’t say that I do.”

“My God, Sunshine, you mean you don’t have a PSA about figgy puddings and the dangers they might present to society at large?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“No I don’t,” Justin said with a scowl at his husband. It turned immediately to a little smile as Brian winked at him.

Bree climbed up into her Dada’s lap. “Do you know what figgy pudding is, Dada?” she asked.

“Food of any kind isn’t exactly my forte,” Brian said with a smug look on his face.

“Huh?”

“Your father means that he rarely eats puddings or anything that might add a few ounces to his lean and lovely torso,” Justin said with a wink of his own.

Brian laughed and Bree let out a long sigh.

“I don’t know what you people are talking about,” she pouted.

“Bree,” Joan said as she returned from the kitchen. “I found my mother’s recipe for fig pudding. I remember she used to make it at Christmas time each year.”

“Was it good?”

“Very, if my memory is correct.”

“What’s in it?” Bree asked.

“Figs of course,” Joan laughed. “Gus, will you give me a hand with the cake and hot chocolate?” Gus followed his grandmother to the kitchen.

“What are figs?” Bree asked.

“We’ll have to get some so you can try them,” Justin replied. “There’s usually lots in the supermarkets this time of year.”

“And I’ll make my mother’s figgy pudding for Christmas Day,” Joan said as she carried in the cake and Gus followed with a tray of mugs of hot chocolate. “Would you like that, Bree?”

“Yes, Gamma Joan.”

“Sounds like a great Christmas,” Justin said.

“And this weekend we’ll get our tree,” Brian added. The spirit of Christmas was starting to take over. Hot chocolate and cake only added to that feeling for them all

After Brian buckled a sleepy Bree into her booster seat to return to Edna’s Treasures, he pulled Justin against him and whispered, “I’m ready to play with your organ when we get home.”

Justin burst out laughing. “You give a whole new meaning to the spirit of Christmas.”

Brian waggled his eyebrows and climbed behind the wheel. Time for some Christmas spirit, Kinney style.

“She’s out,” Justin said. They had barely left the Pittsburgh city line when Justin turned in his seat to check on Bree who had grown quiet in the back seat.

Brian glanced in the rearview mirror and smiled. “So is he,” he said. Gus’ eyes were closed. Brian could still see the little boy inside the man that Gus was about to become. Justin seemed to read his thoughts and patted Brian’s thigh then rested his hand on Brian’s leg for the trip home to Edna’s Treasures. They had thought about staying in the city for the night, Bree had only one more day of school until the Christmas break, but Brian was determined to keep his word to Principal Johnson regarding Bree’s education. And Brian never lied.



*****



“Do I havta go to school today?” Bree whined over her Cheerios. She reluctantly got up as scheduled and was seated at the breakfast table, but she wasn’t very happy about it.

“Yes, you have to go. This is the last day before the holidays and we promised the principal and your teachers. Your dada and I will drive you over. We’re going to pick up the books and the January lessons for both you and Patrick. We made a promise and we intend to keep it,” Justin said emphatically.

“Yes, Daddy,” Bree replied. She knew there was no changing her Daddy’s mind on this. She finished her cereal then went to her room to get ready to go.



*****



“Brian?” Emmett called out when he walked through the front door of Edna’s Treasures Saturday morning. The cottage was quiet; the family wasn't awake. Brian was quietly sipping his coffee sitting at the granite counter. He got up to pour his old friend a mug full.

“Why are you awake this early? Drew not doing his job right?” Brian snarked over his coffee mug.

“My Drewsie does an excellent job of keeping me happy, thank you very much, but you know I’m always up early.”

“Yes, I know,” Brian grumbled as he glanced at the clock on the wall. It was barely eight.

“Why are you up?”

“Same reason, I guess. It’ll be Christmas in three days. We’re expecting a houseful of people and nothing’s ready. No tree, no decorations, no pies and cookies overflowing the counter, nothing. Nada. Zilch. I don’t remember when we’ve ever been this disorganized. The only preparation I can say that’s truly done is for our London trip.”

“So you’re really going to London to meet the Queen?” Emmett asked with a smile.

“Yes, but meeting a queen is not on the agenda. Besides there are already too many queens in my life,” Brian said.

“So true, I count myself as one of them and as such, I’m making a proclamation. I proclaim that the family of Edna’s Treasures will have a magnificent Christmas and you won’t have to lift a finger to do it.”

“Emmett, do you see this place? Not a stocking hung or mistletoe or garland to be seen!” Brian dramatically swept his hand around to point to the undecorated walls.

“Ah, but the Christmas fairies haven’t visited yet,” Emmett reassured his friend.

“You mean there’s more of you,” Brian growled.

Emmett grabbed Brian’s empty mug to refill it. “Here, you need more coffee. Your lame attempt at squashing my Christmas spirit is pitiful,” Emmett griped, as he added the sugar then slid the mug back to Brian. Brian made a face that Emmett took to mean he was sorry without Brian having to say the words. “Apology accepted. Now, why don’t you rustle up one of your famous huge breakfasts and leave the rest to us fairies.”

“What fairies? I only see one at the moment.” The buzzer for the gate intercom went off signaling that someone with the appropriate code, had triggered the mechanism to open the gate.

“Right on time!” Emmett exclaimed as he set down his mug to walk toward the door. As he opened it, Debbie’s mobile hotel was slowly pulling up. Behind her were Seth and Jennifer along with Joan and Danny. As Carl parked the RV, out popped Ted, Allen, Hunter, Nick, Ben and Michael.

“Honeycutt, what’s all this?” Brian grumbled but he couldn’t help the corners of his mouth turning up just a little.

“Your Christmas fairies, of course. Now why aren’t I hearing the rattling of your pots and pans? Get cooking, Mr. Kinney! We have a bunch of hungry Christmas fairies to feed.” Emmett wore a wide smile as he greeted the ‘fairies’ with hugs and kisses including some for Drew who had just walked down the lane.

“What’s all this?” John asked Brian as he came through the hall and into the kitchen looking for coffee.

“The invasion of the Christmas fairies,” Brian deadpanned as he began to take out the pots and pans he’d need to make a huge breakfast.

“Ah,” John said, taking a few sips of coffee, letting his caffeine level rise a few notches, before helping his brother feed the invading horde.



*****



“Wakey, wakey, Sunshine,” Brian singsonged as he gingerly sat on the bed next to his sleeping spouse. Brian had the appropriate morning offering in his hand, a steaming mugful of coffee.

“Wha’ tm ist?” Justin mumbled from the vicinity of his pillow and under the blanket.

“A little after nine. Emmett and his fairies are here ready to transform the cottage into a winter wonderland. I come bearing coffee, and breakfast is on the table waiting for you.”

“You’re the sweetest man,” Justin said a little more clearly then sat up to take the mug. “Who’s here?”

“Almost everyone. Throw some clothes on and join us. You know I rely on you to keep my sanity.” Justin beamed a sleepy, sunny smile at his mate as he took a few sips of coffee and then got ready to join the family.

As Brian and Justin entered the sun porch, the breakfast was on the table and Emmett was acting as host. Emmett also had a large clipboard holding a thick pad. He had a pencil sticking out from behind his ear. When Brian and Justin sat at the table, the food began to make its way around.

“So who’s on tree detail?” Emmett asked.

“Ben and I will handle that,” Drew announced and Ben nodded. Emmett smiled lovingly at his he-man then checked off ‘tree’ on his list.

“Decorations?” Emmett inquired as he looked around the table. His eyes settled on Ted, Michael, Allen, Hunter and Nick.

“We can begin with the door then work our way through the house but someone needs to tell us where everything is kept,” Ted said logically.

“I can!” Justin and Bobby declared at the same time.

“Wonderful!” Emmett exclaimed as he checked off another few items on his list.

“Food? We have three kitchens to work from, five if you count Molly’s and Rachel’s,” Emmett mumbled to himself as he stared at his list then slowly raised his eyes as he realized the room suddenly had become very, very quiet. Three sets of maternal eyes stared back at him.

“I’ll take your kitchen, Emm honey,” Debbie decreed.

“I’ll use John’s,” Jennifer said.

“And I’ll use Brian’s,” Joan announced.

“I’m at your disposal, fair lady,” Danny said to Joan making her smile. The odd couple had become fast friends as well as co-workers at Danny's bookstore.

“I’m not that adept in the kitchen but I can chop and slice and I would be happy to help you, my dear,” Seth said as he smiled at his bride. Jennifer glowed.

“And I...”

“Carl, honey, you can just stay out of my way. You know you can barely boil water. But we'll need you to direct traffic around here. There’s going to be a lot of people driving in and out of here over the next few days. And where are they all going to park?”

“I can handle it, Babe. Sheesh, I retired a detective and now I’m busted back to traffic detail. Oh well,” Carl said as he raised his juice glass in a toast to the family. “Here’s to a merry Christmas everyone!”

“Merry Christmas!” rang out from the family as they all accepted the remaining jobs from Emmett and ate breakfast.



*****



“Can I go too?” Bree asked, looking up at Ben and Drew who had just put on their coats to go out looking for a Christmas tree for Edna’s Treasures. Bree batted her eyes at the two men.

“Um…” Drew said.

“Well…” Ben added.

“You want to help get the tree, Squirt?” Brian asked coming up behind his daughter.

Ben and Drew were just about ready to leave on their mission of tree reconnaissance. Drew knew most of the tree farms in the area and was sure they could find a fabulous tree for the cottage.

“Yes, Dada.”

Brian looked at the two men. “I think you gentlemen have a new helper.”

“But…” Drew began.

“I always find the bestest tree,” Bree said with a big smile on her face.

“That’s true, she does,” Brian agreed patting Bree’s head.

“Maybe…maybe you’d like to come with us,” Ben suggested to Brian.

“No, I think Bree will be all the help you’ll need. I’m sure two such brawny men as yourselves will have no trouble handling an itty-bitty Christmas tree.”

“Um…” Drew tried to explain.

“Get your coat, Bree, and I’ll get the keys to Justin’s SUV. It has Bree’s booster seat in it, so you might as well take it.”

Bree ran to her bedroom and Brian went to get Justin’s keys. Ben and Drew looked at each other.

“What the fuck are we going to do with a six year old?” Drew asked.

“Make sure she doesn’t get hurt,” Ben said definitively.

“I don’t want to be responsible.”

“Me either.”

“Then tell Brian she can’t come.”

“You tell him.”

“I never tell Brian Kinney anything,” Drew stated. “I value my life too much, and Emmett would kill me if Brian killed me.”

Ben looked at Drew like he had two heads. “I guess we have to take her,” Ben said.

“Then you look after her.”

“No, you.”

“I don’t want to be responsible,” Drew said.

“You think I do!”

“Ready,” Bree said appearing in front of them all bundled up.

“Great!” Drew said.

“Here’s the keys. Be good for your uncles, Squirt,” Brian told his daughter as he leaned down to give her a kiss.

“I will, Dada,” Bree said with that Taylor smile. She held up her hands so each man could take one. Brian opened the door for them.

He watched Bree skip along between the two men as they walked over to Justin’s car. Ben made sure Bree was secure in her booster seat. As the car pulled away, Brian chuckled to himself. He would like to be a pine cone on a tree in the tree lot, so he could hear Bree put them through their paces. With a big grin on his face he closed the door of Edna’s Treasures.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

London Calling

Chapter 7





“Okay, Bree, we’re here,” Ben said as he helped Bree out of the back of the SUV.

“This isn’t where my daddies usually come,” Bree said. “They have hot chocklet where we go.”

“We’re here to get a tree, not hot chocolate,” Drew replied.

“But you get the hot chocklet when you’re done finding the tree. Don’t you know nothin’?” Bree asked with a frown.

Drew looked at Ben who merely shrugged and smiled. Drew wondered if he knew nothing in Ben’s eyes too.

“Where should we start?” Ben asked.

“Haven’t you done this before?” Drew asked.


 


“Maybe … I don’t remember. I thought you knew what you were doing. Michael and I have an artificial tree.”

Drew snorted. “Emmett has a pink one at the loft.”

“Pink?” Bree asked. She had been listening carefully.

“Pink?” Ben repeated. “That’s no color for a tree.”

“It’s Emmett’s color for a tree.”

Ben shook his head, when he felt a tug on his leather jacket. He looked down into Bree’s violet eyes. “Yes?” he said.

“Can we get started?” she asked.

Drew chuckled and said,” Sure, Bree, but what do we do?”

Bree heaved a weary sigh at having to work with these two inept men who seemed so incapable of getting the right Christmas tree. “You go over to the booth and they give you a walkie-talkie, and then we can ride the wagon out to the trees, and then we pick one we like.”

“Is that right?” Ben asked.

Bree bobbed her head. “Come on, Unca Ben, it’s cold out here.” She took his hand and dragged him towards the booth.

Soon they were seated on the wagon which transported them out to the trees that were available for cutting. Ben lifted Bree down from the wagon when it stopped, and asked, “See anything you like the looks of?” He hoped they could quickly find a tree and get back home. His toes were freezing already.

“Nope,” she said looking around. “Let’s go.” She took his hand and started down the row of trees.

“What about this one?” Drew asked standing beside a tall tree. Bree shook her head. “Why not?” he asked.

Bree studied the tree. “I don’t know. It’s just not the one.” She kept walking down the row of trees.

Drew followed them looking at this tree and that tree, trying to find the perfect one. It was extremely difficult to know how they would identify the right tree. Bree seemed to be the keeper of that wisdom and she couldn’t explain what it was she was looking for.

As Drew looked up at a tree, he stepped to the side and felt his foot slip on some snow. The next thing he knew, he was sitting in a puddle of half melted snow. The ass of his jeans was soaking wet.

“You okay?” Ben asked as he hurried over.

“Fuck! My ass is wet,” Drew griped as Ben hauled him up. “Let’s get a fucking tree and get out of here.”

Ben nodded. “Bree, we need to pick a tree right away.”

“Shit,” Drew said as he took a tentative step and almost fell over. “I turned my damn ankle.”

“It’s not broken, is it?”

“I don’t think so. I can walk, but I’ll have to be careful.”

“Why don’t you stay here, and I’ll go with Bree to find a tree?”

“Okay, I’ll hobble back to where we catch the wagon.”

Ben nodded and turned to get Bree to pick a tree in a big hurry. The little girl in the pink snow jacket was nowhere in sight. “Bree!” Ben called trying to keep panic out of his voice. “Bree, where are you?”

“Shit! Where could she be?” Drew asked turning and starting back.

“You head for the wagon,” Ben ordered. “I’ve got the walkie-talkie. If I don’t find her in a few minutes, I’ll call for help. They probably have this happen all the time.”

“Fuck!” Drew said. “Brian’s going to kill us.”

“Bree!” Ben shouted. “Bree!”

“Over here, Unca Ben,” Bree called.

Ben let out a sigh of relief and then he sprinted towards the sound of Bree’s voice. He caught a glimpse of pink on the other side of the row of trees and pushed branches aside to get to the little girl. One branch snapped back hitting him in the eye and knocking him to his knees. “Shit!” he cried.

“Unca Ben, you okay?” Bree asked coming through the trees.

“I think so,” Ben said getting up. The knees of his jeans were soaking wet. His eye hurt like a bugger. It was probably going to swell up and turn black and blue.

“I found our tree,” Bree said proudly. “It’s perfect.”

“No shit!” Ben said as he shook whatever snow he could from the legs of his jeans. He was afraid they would freeze and he wouldn’t be able to walk. He took out a handkerchief and pressed it to his eye. “Which one?” he asked.

Bree took his hand and led him carefully through the trees to one particular tree. Ben looked at it through his one good eye. It looked to him like every other tree in the row.

“Why this one?” Ben asked.

“I don’t know. It’s just the right one,” Bree said.

“Okay, if you say so,” Ben agreed. He wanted to get the fuck out of there. “So what do we do now?”

“Use the walkie-talkie, Unca Ben. Call the man and tell him we are in Row 29 and we want tree number 3-8-1.”

“How…how do you know that?”

“I know my numbers and I see things.”

Ben shook his head. He pulled the walkie-talkie from his pocket and called in the information Bree had given him.

“Is Unca Drew okay?” Bree asked.

“I think so. Do we have to stay with the tree?”

“Not unless you want to cut it down. Sometimes Dada cuts them himself, but usually he lets the men do it for him. They put it in a big bag and tie it to the top of the car,” Bree explained.

“Then let’s find Uncle Drew,” Ben said. Bree took Ben’s hand and led him back in the direction of the path where they could catch a ride on the wagon.



*****



“They’re back,” Emmett called seeing the SUV pull up in front of Edna’s Treasures.

Bree came racing inside. “We found the perfect tree, Dada,” Bree crowed as she ran into Brian’s arms. He picked her up giving her a warm hug.

“Good girl! Did you have fun?”

Bree shook her head. “They didn’t go to the right place, so I got no hot chocklet.”

“Daddy will make you some,” Brian said kissing her cheek.

“Oh my fucking God!” Emmett exclaimed.

He and Brian stood in amazement as the cold, wet, battered and bruised he-men made their way into the house.

“What the fuck happened to you two?” Brian demanded.

“It’s a long story,” Drew said. Ben merely nodded as he held his hankie over his sore eye.



*****



“And then Unca Ben fell down too!” Briana was telling her version of the tree picking story to Patrick and her Daddy while sipping her hot chocolate in the kitchen. Brian and Gus thought it prudent to help the he-men bring the tree into the sun porch and set it into its stand before the he-men hobbled off to get cleaned up. Neither man wanted to admit being bested by the little six year old.

“Sounds like you had a busy day so far,” Justin said. Bree nodded her head. “Maybe I should get lunch started before...” Justin began just before they all heard a loud crash coming from the porch.

“Whoa!”

“Hey, look out!”

“Help!”

Everyone in the conjoined cottages converged in the sun porch. Under the toppled over tree were Michael and Teddy. At least they thought it was Michael and Ted, all anyone could see were three arms and one leg sticking out from under the thick branches. Bits of tree, garland and broken ornaments littered the floor.

“Schmidt! What the hell are you doing?” Brian bellowed as he, John and Gus worked to right the tree and move it into its corner. Justin and Bobby helped to pick up the injured Christmas fairies.

“Well, the tree was sticking out too far and we were going to turn it around,” Ted tried to explain.

“And I think my shirt got stuck on a branch and when I moved...” Michael took over the story.

“I get the picture, Mikey. Are you guys okay?” Brian tried to ascertain the extent of their injuries. Then a thought got into his head. “Bobby, does our homeowners insurance policy cover injuries to Christmas fairies?” Brian whispered into his brother-in-law's ear.

“Considering we now have four injured fairies, maybe I better check,” Bobby said as he excused himself.

“Brian, maybe this is a good time to herd the fairies into one place and serve them lunch,” John strongly suggested.

“I agree. You two, sit!” Brian commanded Michael and Ted. “Sonny Boy, help me clean up this mess.”

“Sure, Pop,” Gus replied as he went off to get the broom and dustpan.

“Sunshine, lunch?” Brian asked Justin. Justin nodded with a crooked smile.

“Let me get you guys some water,” Brian said as he went into the house. Brian took out a few bottles of water from the refrigerator, opened one and took a good long drink. “We survived a lotta shit together, Justin, but I’m not sure if I’m going to survive the year the Christmas fairies invaded our house.” Then with a sigh he retreated back to the porch with the remaining bottles of water for the fairies.

“Not sure, either,” Justin mumbled to himself as he went back to preparing lunch.



*****



“I think we’re right on schedule!” Emmett cheerfully announced to the crowd having lunch in the sun porch. He was checking off the completed tasks on his list.

The whole family came back to the conjoined cottages to eat their lunch together and to report on their various assignments. Michael was trying to eat his sandwich but was finding it difficult. He had somehow twisted his wrist trying to deflect the falling tree. Bobby had wrapped it in an ACE bandage. Ben was sitting next to him with an ice pack on his eye. Drew was enjoying his lunch from a chaise. Bobby wrapped his ankle which had begun to swell and turn all sorts of interesting colors.

“I’ve had worse injuries,” Drew grumbled as he bit into his sandwich.

Ted’s face was peppered with little band-aids that were covering the small cuts he received from the pine needles. It was only the ‘mothers’ who could report positive results from their endeavors, stating the various dishes that they had prepared and that were going to be frozen or refrigerated until needed.

Bobby leaned over to Brian as he passed a bowl of potato salad. “We’re covered,” Bobby reassured him.

“We have two more days of this,” Brian growled. “And they’ve only managed to decorate one third of the house. Think of the trouble they’ll get into when they try to decorate the porch and your side of the cottage.”

“Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll quit,” Bobby said with hope.

“You know how stubborn Mikey is; he won’t quit unless he’s hospitalized.”

“Well, we can take over from here. We can tell them what a great job they’ve done and suggest the next shift take over.”

“Sounds good to me. We’ll try it after lunch. I want to get a good look at Emmett’s list. It seems to be growing.”

Bobby nodded in agreement then the co-conspirators dug into their sandwiches.



*****



“Hmm, the food prep seems to be going very well,” Emmett mumbled to himself. “But I’m not sure about the decorating,” he murmured looking around the sun porch. The Edna’s Treasures families had become known for their simple but elegant decorations. Both office balcony rails were usually donned with garland as was each rail of the twin spiral staircases. Someone had tied a few ornaments to Brian’s balcony rail but it still looked a bit cold.

“It’s not right,” Emmett murmured.

“What’s not right, Auntie Emm?” Bree asked her favorite uncle. Emmett picked up his favorite princess to sit her on his knee.

“I’ve just made an inspection of your end of the cottage and the decorations appear to be right.”

“They look nice, Auntie Emm.”

“Thank you, sweetie, but I don’t remember how the porch was decorated.” Emmett was disappointed with himself. He really wanted this Christmas to be as normal as it could be. He knew the boys were nervous about the London trip, especially Brian. Emmett wanted them to have a carefree holiday.

“I have pictures,” Bree said with a bright smile.

“You do?”

“Uh huh. In my alabum.”

“That’s album, honey. May I see your album? I think it will help.”

“Sure! Come with me,” Bree said as she slid off Emmett’s lap then held out her hand for him to take. Bree led him into her room then pointed to a gilt album on her bookshelf. Carefully, Emmett flipped through the pages. Briana had quite the collection of photos and special mementoes in her book, including Christmas pictures.

“Thank you, Miss Briana. You have been most helpful,” Emmett said with a big smile. “I know exactly how to decorate the porch.”

“What about the tree?”

“What do you mean?”

“I meeaan, when are we going to decorate the tree?”

“We?”

“Yes, my daddies and my uncles and my Patrick and me, we all help to decorate the tree. It’s fun! We have hot chocklet and sometimes fruit and cheese with crackers and healthy snacks and stuff. Daddy plays Christmas carols and we sing and my Dada lets me put the star on the top.”

“Sounds beautiful, Miss Bree. How about I ask your Dada if we can all help to decorate the tree tomorrow night? The tree needs to rest in its stand so the branches relax a little.”

“Okay, but can we finish the porch today? I don’t like it yet.”

“Now that I know how it should look, we’ll have it done in no time,” Emmett beamed. Emmett put Bree’s album back on the shelf then went back into the porch to continue the chores on his list.

When Emmett returned to the porch, his workforce was nowhere to be found. Brian and Justin were snuggled on a chaise. Beau, who had wisely made himself scarce for the first half of the day was now sleeping peacefully on his pillow.

“Where is everyone?” Emmett asked.

“I have some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?”

“Um, the bad.”

“Drew’s ankle was starting to throb so he, John and Bobby are watching the game in there,” Brian said pointing toward the Anderson-Morrison end of the cottage. “He has his ankle up on a pillow. Debbie called to say she needed a few more ingredients from the store. I gave my keys to the Jeep to Allen. He’s going to drive Michael to the store. Mikey’s wrist still hurts. Ted and Ben went down to your cottage to rest for a while. Ben’s eye is still a little blurry and his knees are bruised. And Teddy thinks he’s getting a reaction from the pine sap.”

“And the good news?”

“Jennifer has several casseroles done. My mother made her figgy pudding and a chocolate, chocolate chip cake. And Debbie has three pans of lasagna finished. She wants to make some baked mac and cheese, but she ran out of pasta, hence the trip to the store.”

“But we’re not done decorating,” Emmett said disappointedly.

“Emm, we have two more days. Why don’t you give the fairies a break? The porch is easy; we can have that finished in less than an hour. You’ve been up since the crack of dawn. It must be after five somewhere on the planet. Mull some wine, and give it a rest,” Brian gently suggested to his friend.

Twenty-five minutes later the family was enjoying some mulled wine and each other’s company.


Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 8





“Hey, Justin, how are things going?”

“Not bad, Moll, how about you?”

“I’m okay. I’m at Sharon’s.”

“Oh? Is it Christmas already?”

“No silly,” Molly laughed. “I’m helping her do a few things around the house. We made some cookies and squares to serve on Christmas Eve. She’s having a little get-together, just some of the neighbors.”

“And you and Owen?”

“Yeah, but I wish I was up at Edna’s Treasures with the other Christmas fairies.”

“I’m surprised you and Owen didn’t come up for a few days. I miss seeing Taylor.”

“He’s growing so fast,” Molly sighed.

“How did he like being in the school at Kinnetik?”

“I think he liked it as much as I did,” Molly laughed.

“You were in school too?” Justin asked with a laugh of his own.

“Kind of. There’s so much to learn about advertising. I know nothing.”

“I don’t think they expect you to learn everything about advertising. They hired you for your language skills. I’m sure they have other people to look after the advertising side.”

“I know, but I like to be on top of things.”

“Does Owen know that?” Justin joked.

“Yes, he does … and I am … sometimes.”

“TMI, Moll, TMI,” Justin said feeling himself blush.

“Well, now that I’ve thoroughly embarrassed you, I better let you go.”

“Maybe I should inform you that we have some injured Christmas fairies,” Justin said with a chuckle.

“Injured? Who got hurt?”

“It’s nothing much. Don’t worry about it,” Justin told her.

“You’re sure? It’s not Mom, is it?” Molly sighed.

“No, definitely not Mom. She’s fine.”

“I wish I was there.”

“Can’t you come up for the day?”

“Maybe Sunday,” Molly said hopefully, “but Sharon wants us involved in everything she’s got planned.”

“Christmas Eve?”

“We’re expected to be at her soiree,” Molly sighed.

“Then how about tomorrow? I’d like to see you all before Christmas Day, since you won’t be here for that.”

“I’ll try, and I expect to hear all about the Christmas fairies,” Molly said. “Say hi to the fairies from me.”

“You got it. Say hi to Taylor and Owen for me … and Owen and Sharon.”

“Will do,” Molly said as she cut the connection.

“Who was that?” Brian asked as he came up behind his husband.

“Molly. She’s at Sharon’s. I think she’d rather be here.”

“Who wouldn’t?” Brian said with a laugh.

“Some of our fairies are probably wishing they were anywhere else but here.”

“They’re stuck with us and we’re stuck with them,” Brian replied.

“And you wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Brian didn’t nod, but he dipped his head and then leaned down to kiss Justin.

“Daddy, Dada, are we going to decorate the tree?” Bree asked. She had changed into her pajamas and was carrying her grey bunny.

“Tomorrow, sweetheart,” Justin said, leaning down to kiss her cheek.

“I love Christmas,” Bree proclaimed.

“We know.”

“Can you read me a Christmas story?”

“How about The Night Before Christmas?”

“Nope, cause it’s not the night before Christmas. There’s three more days, right?”

“That’s right,” Brian agreed.

“Dada, can you tell me a story about when you were a little boy and what Christmas was like?”

Justin saw the look of horror that came over Brian’s face. “I’ll tell you about one of my Christmases,” Justin offered.

“You already did, Daddy, but Dada hasn’t.”

“Maybe Dada doesn’t have any good stories,” Justin suggested.

“I don’t care if they’re good,” Bree informed them. “Just tell me what Christmas was like with Gamma Joan.”

“I…” Brian didn’t know how to continue.

“Um, Bree, I don’t think Dada’s really able to do that,” Justin said. “I’m a much better story teller.” He hoped Bree would let it go before Brian got too upset.

“But I want to know about Dada’s Christmas,” Bree whined.

“Bree,” Brian said sternly.

“Brian, let me,” Joan said as she came in from the kitchen.

“Mother?”

“I can handle it.”

Brian shook his head. He wasn’t sure which might be worse, having to make up some kind of cock and bull story for his daughter or having his mother tell her the truth.

“Come here, Bree,” Joan said as she sat on the edge of one of the chaises. She threw an afghan over them once Bree was ensconced on her knee with her grey bunny held tight. “You see, we didn’t have very happy Christmases when your Dada was your age.”

“You didn’t?” Bree asked with a frown.

Joan shook her head. “No, we didn’t. You see, Grandpa Jack…”

“He’s dead, right?”

“Yes, he died long before you were born.”

“Oh.”

“Sometimes Grandpa Jack would drink too much and he really didn’t like holidays very much, so we didn’t celebrate.”

“But everybody’s apposed to be happy at Christmas,” Bree declared. This wasnÂ’t at all what she had expected to hear. She just thought there would be something about Gamma Joan making figgy pudding and everyone singing Christmas songs.

“Not everybody is happy at Christmas, Briana,” Joan said sadly. “But once you came into your fathers’ lives, I know your Dada was much, much happier. He also had Gus, and Gus brought great joy to him. Isn’t that right, dear?” Joan asked looking up at her son.

“Yes, he did.”

“Tell me about Gus’ Christmas, Dada?” Bree asked. She really wanted a happy story.

“When Gus was two years old…” Brian began. He sat down on the end of the chaise. “I went over to Lindsay’s and Mel’s on Christmas morning and Gus was so happy to see me. He practically jumped into my arms.”

“But Gus is so big,” Bree said with large eyes.

“He was still a baby, and cute as a button, just like you,” Brian said with a soft smile.

“Gus was little like me?”

“Haven’t we got some Gus pictures from that Christmas, Sunshine?” Brian asked.

“I believe we do,” Justin said. “I’ll get them and start some hot chocolate. I think you have lots of stories to tell after all.”

Brian smiled and turned back to his daughter and his mother. They were both smiling at him and he felt the Christmas spirit seep through his body.



*****



“Hey.”

“Hi.”

“Soon.”

“Can’t wait.”

“How are we going to...?”

“We’ll find a way. Besides, Jeffrey’s cool.”

“Yeah, he is. Sometimes I wish I had a brother. Sisters can be so like...”

“Girls?”

“Yeah. But I love them, ya know?”

“Yeah, I know. Your sisters are cool.”

“I miss you.”

“Miss you too. You alone?”

“Yeah, you?”

“Yeah. Wanna?”

“I’m about to explode already.”

“Me too. Gus, your birthday, when we were together, it was incredible. The best.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I mean I’m no expert but me and Vin, we kinda went at it a lot. But with him, it was kind of like a competition. With you that weekend, it was fun.”

“Fun? Shouldn’t it be hot?”

“It was hot. But it was also fun and I really liked what we did together and that we, uh...”

“Switched?”

“Yeah. Vinny, he had to top all the time. He didn’t like to bottom unless he was high. And I really don’t like doing shit like that, ya know?”

“Yeah, me neither. My Pop, told me about a lotta stuff he did when he was younger. He said he had no apologies and no regrets about what he did, but he wanted me to know so I could make my own decisions about relationships and sex and stuff like that.”

“Yeah, my dad told me when he was younger he was a big bad bear but then he met my father and that was it. He said that he never wanted anyone else ever again. Gus, we’re really young.”

“I know, Ray. And we have college and other shit to do before we settle. But I really hope it’s you I settle with.”

“Me too, Gus. Uh, you still in the mood for phone sex?”

“If I can’t have you in person then I guess I’ll have to settle for phone sex until I do!”

“Oh that was bad.”

“So bad that I’m gooood.”

“Yeah, you are just that.”



*****



“Sunshine, I am soo happy that this day is finally over,” Brian said as he crawled into bed.

“It wasn’t that bad,” Justin replied as he snuggled close, pulling up the duvet.

“Yes, it was,” Brian said as he drew Justin closer to his chest. Justin laid his head on Brian’s chest as Brian traced lazy circles on Justin’s back. “Not only was I awake before dawn, I could have been sued by a bunch of Christmas fairies,” Brian said with a straight face. He could feel Justin chuckle against his skin.

“Those Christmas fairies are our friends. They wouldn’t sue us.”

“They wouldn’t sue you, Sunshine; however, they wouldn’t think twice about bleeding me dry.”

“You are so full of shit, do you know that?”

“Me? You wait, when you least expect it, one of those fairies is going to sue the pants off me.”

“That’s because they want to see your dick.”

“So you think this is all a ruse to get me naked?”

“I’ll tell you what I think. I think you should shut up, get naked and fuck this Christmas fairy until I see stars.”

“So you’re my Christmas fairy?” Brian asked low and sultry into Justin’s ear.

“Your very own personal fairy,” Justin murmured as he nipped at a nipple making it harden and peak.

“If you’re my fairy then what am I?” Brian whispered, arching up his chest in response to Justin’s ministrations.

“My very own jolly St. Dick,” Justin replied as he sucked down Brian’s dick.

“Ho, Ho, Ho, Sunshine.”



*****



“Daddy, Dada, it’s snowing.”

Bree had flung the door of Brian and Justin’s bedroom open. She was standing there clutching her grey bunny. She waited for a response.

“Bree, why are you up?” Brian asked as he tried to prop an eye open. He and Justin had fucked into the wee small hours of the morning.

“I told you, Dada,” Bree said with annoyance. “It’s snowing. There’s a whole bunch of snow on the ground too.”

“That doesn’t mean you have to wake us up,” Brian reminded her.

“Yes, I did. I want to play in the snow.”

“What time is it?” Justin mumbled.

“The big hand’s on the nine and the little hand’s on the six, so it’s quarter to seven,” Bree replied logically.

“Is it even daylight?” Justin asked.

“I can see the snow,” Bree told him.

“It’s too early, Bree,” Justin muttered. “Go back to bed.”

“But I want to play in the snow,” Bree pouted.

“Later,” Justin said emphasizing the word so that Bree would get the message that this wasn’t the time of day for playing in the snow.

“But…”

“No but’s, Bree,” Justin said forcefully. “Dada and I need to sleep some more.”

Bree heaved a sigh and grabbed the door handle. She was about to slam the bedroom door when she thought better of it. That might make her fathers mad, and then they wouldn’t let her play in the snow at all.

She stomped down the hall to her bedroom, even though the stomping had little effect since she was wearing her big, soft, fluffy slippers. She climbed up onto her bed and pressed her nose against the window, looking at the big lazy flakes that drifted down to the ground. There was all that wonderful, glorious snow out there and she was supposed to stay in bed. Then it occurred to her that she could dress herself and get her coat and boots on all by herself. She didn’t need her fathers to go play in the snow. However, it would be more fun if they came with her. She wondered if Patrick was up. Maybe she’d get ready and then go over to Patrick’s side of Edna’s Treasures to see if he would come play with her. With a determined set to her jaw she started getting dressed.



*****



Joan tapped on Brian and Justin’s bedroom door. Nothing happened so she pounded a little harder.

“What?” came a grumpy voice in reply.

“Brian, Justin, you have to come see this,” Joan said through the door.

“What time is it?”

“A little before nine.”

“Shit,” Brian said throwing back the covers. He grabbed some sweats and threw them on even though he needed a shower. Justin was doing the same. “What’s going on?” Brian asked as he opened the bedroom door.

“Come look outside,” Joan said as she headed back to the screen porch where she had been sleeping.

Brian and Justin trailed along behind her.

“Oh, my fucking God!” Justin said.

“Don’t take the name of the Lord in vain,” Joan corrected.

“Sorry.”

“Do you believe that?” Joan asked.

Outside of the screen porch there were three large snowmen that had already been assembled. Another snowman was still under construction by about half of the Christmas fairy contingent who had arrived at Edna’s Treasures.

Michael and Ben were rolling the balls of snow. Hunter and Nick were trimming and shaping the snowmen that had already been constructed. Debbie and Carl were adding eyes, noses, and some clothes. They had already stuck some small tree branches into the second ball of the snowmen to make arms for them.

Bree was supervising the whole thing. Her pink jacket and hat ran from group to group telling them what was correct or what needed to be fixed or changed. Apparently she had a very definite idea of what she wanted done, and she had the fairies to carry it out.

“Do you fucking believe that?” Brian asked staring at his daughter and the way she was directing traffic. “And what is that…?” He stopped, staring at a rather large looking appendage sticking out from one of the snowmen. “Could that be a dick?”

“It has to be,” Justin chuckled. “It has to be Debbie’s idea.”

“I’ll kill her. How dare she do that with Bree?” Brian said angrily.

“Bree probably doesn’t even realize what it is,” Justin said soothingly.

“She better not,” Brian griped.

Just then Bree turned and saw her fathers and grandmother standing at the windows of the sun porch. She smiled and waved, and then called, “Daddy, Dada, look at the family of snowmen. It’s us!”

“The one with the dick must be you,” Justin whispered with a laugh.

Brian glowered. “Then the one with the spaghetti on his head must be you.”

“Yeah, I guess so. I was going to eat that leftover pasta for lunch.”

“It’s now your hair, dear,” Joan said with a chuckle.

“Is that Gus?” Brian asked looking at the third tall snowman.

“Must be,” Joan said. “I think that’s his toque on the snowman’s head.”

“How did they get all that stuff?” Brian asked.

“I woke up when I heard someone in the kitchen,” Joan said. “They must have been getting the spaghetti.”

“I wonder how long they’ve been out there,” Justin mused.

“Probably since Bree woke us up,” Brian surmised.

“Shit! She’ll be frozen.”

“She doesn’t look like it’s bothering her,” Joan observed.

The last snowman had just been completed. It was much smaller than the other three. Bree looked it over and nodded in approval. She took off her hat and Debbie added it to the snowman’s head. Bree then shook off her mitts and they went on the end of the twigs Carl had used for arms.

When that was done, Bree turned with one of those brilliant Taylor smiles on her face. She ran towards the house, rushing into the sun porch. “Look, Daddy, Dada, Gamma, it’s us!” she yelled. “I wanted to make you too, Gamma. And JR, and Gamma Jenn…”

“Take a breath Bree,” Justin cautioned.

Bree drew in a breath before continuing, “But Gamma Debbie said there wouldn’t be enough snow.”

Joan, Brian and Justin all laughed.

“Well, at least she was right about that,” Brian said with a snort. “You’d need ten football fields to make everyone in this family.”

“And we’re very lucky that that’s the case,” Joan said.

“Dada?” Bree said as she slipped out of her coat. The fairies were heading for the sun porch, very satisfied with their morning’s work.

“Yes, Bree?” Brian asked.

“Why did Gamma Debbie put your nose so low?”

“My nose?”

“Yeah, the cucumber that’s sticking out?”

“Oh, that nose,” Brian said with a snort. “You’ll have to ask Grandma Debbie. I’m going to make breakfast.” Brian made a quick getaway … from the gang and from Bree’s question. Let Debbie fucking deal with it.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 9





“Nice move,” Debbie snarked as she helped Brian stack the dishwasher with the breakfast dishes.

“I have no idea what you mean,” Brian said with a straight face.

“Sure you don’t. I’m onto you, kiddo, you can’t fool me. Sending a baby to do your dirty work,” Debbie said as she wagged her finger under Brian’s nose. Brian smirked, fully aware of Bree’s interrogation regarding the Brian snowman’s ‘nose’.

“Moi? And Bree’s no baby,” Brian said innocently, turning on the charm.

“Yeah, you, asshole.” She was relentless. “I finally had to tell her that it was all a joke and that she’d have to wait until she was older to understand. Apparently, she knows that expression very well,” Debbie said with some accusation.

Brian shrugged his shoulders. Before Debbie could go on, Justin’s voice saved him in the nick of time.

“Bri, we’re going to finish decorating the porch. Can you come out and help?” Justin called from the sun porch.

“I...” Brian was about to reply with his usual retort about always coming.

“Ahh!” Debbie warned, raising her finger again.

“I’ll be right out,” Brian said instead then kissed Debbie’s cheek. Debbie gave Brian’s cheek a little smack then went to make a fresh pot of coffee. “I love you, Maw,” Debbie heard as Brian walked down the hall. It made her smile. Jennifer and Joan joined Debbie in the kitchen.

“Well, ladies, what should we make now?” Debbie asked.

“I think it’s all just about done,” Jennifer stated. “All that’s left is the turkey, ham and the roast. And the vegetables.”

“And the stuffing but that can all be done on Christmas day,” Joan contributed. “The pies and cakes are done. We could make cookies.”

“I believe Emmett has the fixings for gingerbread cookies, but that might take most of the day to make the dough and let it rest for a while,” Debbie said. She had spent most of the previous day in Emmett’s kitchen so she was very familiar with what was in his pantry. “He also has the ingredients for oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies,” Debbie confirmed.

“Then I suggest we go down there and leave the boys to their own devices,” Jennifer said.

“Do you think that’s wise?” Joan asked. Then they heard a little crash and an annoyed “Schmidt!” from Brian. The inevitable, “Sorry, boss,” followed. The ladies looked at each other then silently went to gather their coats, boots, hats and gloves for the short walk down the lane.



*****



“Dada? When should we decorate the tree? It’s gotta be ready for Santa Claus!” Bree asked. She was all bundled on a chaise, wrapped in an afghan and sipping a mug of hot chocolate. The little girl was cold and tired after her early morning exploits of snowman building. Her fathers thought it best to give Bree a warm bath and put her in her footy pj’s. Bree didn’t mind supervising the porch decorating from her warm nest.

“I’m thinking we should do it tomorrow and perhaps invite the Christmas fairies to help,” Brian suggested. Emmett, who had been flitting back and forth between the porch and the Anderson-Morrison end of the cottage all morning, stopped in mid flit.

“What a wonderful idea! We can turn Christmas Eve into a tree day.”

“What are you rambling about?” Brian grumbled. He and Justin had just finished decorating their balcony and stair railings and were about to tackle John’s balcony rail.

“A pre-Christmas party.”

“A what? Isn’t it enough that all of you have invaded my space and more of you will be here on Christmas day? Now you want another party?”

“Yes. Brian, we’re here and we’re not going anywhere. We might as well have a party. Besides, you’ll be across the pond, as they say, for several weeks. We’re all going to miss you and you’re going to miss us, you big duffus!” Emmett cried as he flung himself into Brian’s arms. For a split second, Brian’s initial reaction was to push the tall queen away. But he couldn’t.

“You’re one big fucking annoying fairy; do you know that?” Brian growled in Emmett’s ear.

“I know,” Emmett sniffled back. “But you love me anyway.”

“Yeah,” Brian whispered then gently pushed back his friend. “Let’s get this house ready for a party,” Brian commanded.

“Yes, sir!” Emmett said with a mock salute and a moist eyed, toothy grin. He then flitted away to continue his decorating.

“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Why is Auntie Emm sad?” Bree had witnessed Emmett’s sniffles. Brian sat next to his petite blond daughter on the chaise.

“He’s really not sad, Squirt, but he’s our friend and he’s going to miss us when we’re away, just like we’ll miss him and the rest of the family.”

“Oh. So when are we going to decorate the tree?”

“Tomorrow. We’re going to have a tree trimming party.”

“YAY! A party. Can I wear a party dress, Dada?”

“You can wear whatever you want, sweetheart,” Brian said with a hug. Then quickly added, “Just as long as you can find it in your closet.”



*****



Monday dawned clear and cold keeping the snowman family intact in the backyard of Edna’s Treasures. Joan had to chuckle every time she looked out at the motley crew.

Bree selected one of her pink party dresses for the tree trimming party. She looked like a true fairy princess amongst all the other Christmas fairies. With so many helpers the tree got decorated in no time. Bree was in her glory pointing out spots that were too bare on the tree. One of the fairies would quickly fill it with an ornament or a piece of tinsel. Bree really did have an artistic eye for making the tree beautiful.

Molly, Owen and Taylor arrived during the party and were able to stay for a couple of hours before heading back to Pittsburgh and Sharon Brenner’s Christmas Eve party. Everyone took their turn bouncing Taylor on their lap. The baby was taking the first tentative movements towards walking. He could stand as long as he had something to hold onto, a finger, a table, a leg. Everyone was waiting for that first wobbly step, but it didn’t happen that day.

Justin realized that Taylor would probably be walking before they returned from England. It made him kind of sad that he wouldn’t be there for that first milestone in the little guy’s life. It was with a bit of a heavy heart that he said goodbye to the Brenner family when they were ready to leave.

Bree did her best to keep everyone entertained with her princess act. Rarely did she have so many minions to order around, and having them all at her beck and call was so much fun. At one point Brian gave her the eyebrow to let her know that maybe she was going too far. She understood that eyebrow only too well, and toned it down as a result.

By the afternoon the tree was all trimmed and lit. It looked fabulous in the corner of the sun porch. Everyone congratulated the injured fairies, Drew and Ben, on choosing such a wonderful tree. And of course Bree got her share of the credit. She was gracious enough to say that she couldn’t have done it without her Uncas. That earned her a head nod from her father. She liked his nod of approval a lot more than she liked the eyebrow.

Emmett had made some fabulous finger foods for dinner later. In the meantime they drank mulled cider and talked and laughed.

Brian couldn’t help but think that this was what Christmas was supposed to be. He looked over at his mother who was sharing a chaise with Bree. The sight of the two of them, together in his home made Brian’s heart ache. They looked so perfect together. Bree was trying to feed her Gamma a blue cheese and pear canapé, and Joan was laughing with delight as she took a bite. They should have a picture.

Just then Gus appeared from the inside of the house. His mothers had arrived earlier, and they seemed quite content to let Gus stay at Edna’s Treasures while they enjoyed the new cottage with JR. Gus had his camera and he started snapping pictures. Brian smiled and moved over closer to Justin. He linked his fingers through Justin’s.

“Could this be any more perfect?” Justin whispered.

Brian merely shook his head. He had everything he could ever dream of.

They had all decided to make the rest of the day calm and easy. Everything was pretty much done in preparation for Christmas Day. As much of the food as could be made ahead had been. All the decorations were complete. There was little to do except sit around and talk or find a quiet corner to read, or put on a headset and listen to music. Justin took to sketching, Ben was writing something in his notebook and so was Michael. He had come up with an idea for a new Rage Christmas edition that he was working on for the following Christmas.

People were spread out all through the house, but the sun porch remained the hub of activity. Brian had been reading in the living room and decided to stick his head into the sun porch to see how things were going.

“Hi, Dada,” Bree called when she saw him. “Patrick and me are playing Old Maid.”

“Did Auntie Emm give you that game?” Brian said with a purposeful look at Emmett who stuck out his tongue in return.

“Unh unh,” Bree replied. “I have this game forever.”

“How many times have you been stuck with the Old Maid?” Brian asked her.

“Never. Patrick always gets it.”

Brian looked at his nephew who merely shrugged. Brian winked back at him. “Keep playing until you get it, Bree,” he advised.

“But I don’t want to be an old maid,” Bree responded.

“Do you know what an old maid is?’

“It’s this,” Bree said holding up the card from her hand.

“Ah, so you’ve got it,” Brian whispered as he squatted down beside her.

“Uh uh, but I can give it to Patrick,” Bree said confidently, which is exactly what she proceeded to do on the next play.

“You need to finish up soon. Then we’re going to have something to eat before we go to Grandma Claire’s church for Christmas Eve service,” Brian said to the two children.

“Okay, Uncle Bri,” Patrick replied.

“How come we’re going to so many churches this year?” Bree asked.

“I thought you liked going to church.”

“I do. I like to sing, Dada, but usually we don’t go so often.”

“I guess this year is different,” Brian said unable to come up with a better explanation.

“Everybody wants us to do things with them before we go away,” Patrick said with all the innate wisdom that he had inherited from his father.

Bree thought about that for a moment while Brian ruffled Patrick’s red locks. “I’m going to miss everybody,” Bree declared extending her arms to encompass all the people that were within the walls of her house. “Dada, can we take everybody with us?”

“No,” Brian said emphatically.

“But why, Dada? I want them to come.”

“They have jobs and things they have to do,” Patrick explained.

“They do?” Bree asked with a frown.

“Yeah, Uncle Michael has the comic book store, and your Grandma Joan works at the bookstore and Hunter and Nick have to be at the clinic and…” Patrick continued while Bree listened attentively.

Brian thought that was the perfect moment to make his getaway and let Patrick explain why the whole family couldn’t go to England with them.

“You’re lucky Patrick got you off the hook,” Justin chuckled as he followed Brian into the kitchen.

“You were listening?”

Justin nodded as he plugged in the kettle. “I thought you were going to end up chartering a plane to take everyone to England with us.”

“I’ve done stupider things,” Brian said with a shake of his head.

Justin laughed and pulled Brian into a hug. “None of the things you’ve done for Bree and this family are stupid. They’re filled with love and caring, and that’s why I love you. That’s why we all love you.”

Brian gulped back the lump that was forming in his throat. He opened his mouth finding it hard to get his voice to work. “I think you’ve OD’d on Christmas sweets,” he finally managed to say.

“You are still so full of shit, one hundred percent,” Justin said with a little laugh. “But that’s part of the reason we love you.”

“Let’s get out the food so we can feed the masses before we go to church,” Brian said trying to change the subject.

“Loaves and fishes.”

“More like canapés and quiches.”

Justin chuckled as he started hauling food out of the fridge.



*****



Hours later they arrived back from the church service.

Bree skipped happily through the snow as they made their way inside. “I love Christmas,” she stated with a big smile as she kicked off her boots. “I love singing Christmas carols.”

“Maybe we should see about getting her some kind of music lessons,” Justin whispered to Brian as he took Bree’s coat and placed it in the hall closet.

“Let’s leave all that till we get this fucking Christmas over with and then the trip,” Brian replied.

“What are you mad about?” Justin asked with a frown.

“I’m not mad.”

“You sure sound like it.”

“I think I’ve had too much religion and too much family and too much fucking eggnog.”

Justin snorted. “Oh, that’s all.” Brian glared at him.

“Daddy, we have to put out cookies and milk for Santa,” Bree informed her father.

“We’ll do that right before you go to bed, sweetheart. Why don’t you go put on your jammies and then we’ll take care of it.”

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said as she ran off to her room.

“Night, Uncle Bri, Uncle Justin. I’m going to bed,” Patrick said.

“Don’t you need to put out your own milk and cookies for Santa first?” Brian asked.

“Don’t tell Bree, but there really isn’t a Santa,” Patrick whispered.

“There isn’t?” Brian asked with a shocked look on his face.

“No, Uncle Bri, there isn’t,” Patrick averred. “Night.” He ran off to his side of the cottages.

“I thought he still believed,” Justin said.

“Our boy is growing up,” John replied sadly. “I hate to admit it, but he’s a big boy now.”

“Well, at least he didn’t tell Bree there’s no Santa,” Brian said.

“Patrick would never do that,” Bobby replied.

“No, Red, I guess he wouldn’t,” Brian agreed. “He’s a good lad.”

“That he is,” John said. “I think we’ll head for our side too. Merry Christmas, and we’ll see you in the morning.”

“Not too early,” Brian advised.

“Never,” Bobby laughed as he waved goodnight. Jennifer and Seth followed them to their cottage where they were sleeping.

“Let’s hit the hay too,” Justin said. The rest of the gang all seemed ready for bed too.

“You have to wait for Bree and the cookies and milk,” Brian said.

Justin smiled at his husband. “You go ahead, and I’ll join you in a few minutes.”

Brian nodded. He really was quite tired. Having so many people around was always hard for him, even if he loved them all more than he thought possible.



*****



Christmas Day at Edna’s Treasures was filled with presents and laughter and Christmas music and gag gifts and lots of food and love.

The whole gang would remember it as one of the best Christmases ever. The weather was lovely, cold but no new snow. There was good food and good friends. Everyone seemed to enjoy their gifts. Santa was very good to the two children in the house, even the one who no longer believed.

A slightly bittersweet feeling developed as the day wore on. Everyone was aware that the Kinney-Taylor’s and the Anderson-Morrison’s would be packing and getting ready to leave in the days to follow. Although everyone wished them well and said they knew they would have a great trip, there was still sadness knowing they would be apart for so long.

As the day drew to a close, Brian found the need to hold onto Justin time and time again.

“It’s okay, you know,” Justin finally said as Brian held him in a hug. “We’re coming back.”

“I know, but I still would rather not go.”

“We don’t have to go to England, if that’s what you want,” Justin said seriously.

“I’m not going to hold you back,” Brian stated. “We have everything arranged and we’re going.”

“Then relax and try to enjoy it.”

“I am. Can’t you tell?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.

“Sometimes it’s hard to tell.”

“I really am doing my best to be positive about this.”

“I know, and I love you for it.”

“Merry Christmas, Justin Taylor.”

“Merry Christmas, Brian Kinney.”

And it was.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 10





“Pop, it’s time to go!” Gus said with a sense of urgency in his voice. Brian put down his coffee mug to glare at his son. Glancing at the wall clock in the kitchen, the glare became more pronounced.

“Sonny Boy, your flight leaves at eleven, it’s now eight. We have plenty of time. We are not leaving until your moms and JR get here. You know they’d skin me alive if we left without them. You’ll be with your boyfriend by two this afternoon. So chill,” Brian growled. He was tired of repeating himself.

“Fine, but if I miss my flight, it’ll be all your fault!” Gus retorted in true drama queen style then stormed back into his room. Brian merely took a sip of his coffee as he rolled his eyes.

“He’s been spending far too much time with lesbians,” Brian grumbled.

“What about lesbians?” Melanie asked as she burst through the front door.

“Oh nothing, the world probably needs more of them,” Brian quickly answered.

“Hell yeah! Now where is my son?” Mel demanded.

“In his room ready to fly to New York on his own power if we don’t leave soon. Coffee?” Brian asked innocently, waving his mug around.

“I can use a cup,” Lindsay mumbled looking a bit frazzled. The Christmas festivities had gone on far into the night.

“I did offer to take him by myself,” Brian said to Gus’ tired looking mother.

“Not in this lifetime, asshole,” Mel snapped back.

“Mel,” Lindsay admonished.

“Lindz, you’re going to be with him, I won’t,” Mel admitted sadly.

“You could have come with us.”

“I can’t right now, and JR can’t afford to miss school. You know that.” Lindsay nodded. Melanie and JR’s situation was different from Bree and Patrick’s.

“But you will try to fly over for the opening?” Lindsay asked hopefully.

“I’ve already cleared my calendar,” Mel reassured her then they sealed the bargain with a kiss.

“Gag!” Brian and JR complained in unison then pounded fists as they chuckled.

“Let’s get this show on the round before Gus explodes,” Brian said as he went to get his coat. Gus’ duffle bag was at the door. It was stuffed with a week’s worth of clothes and gifts for the Greene-Mann family.

Gus had said his goodbyes to the family on Christmas, many of which managed to stuff Gus’ pockets with spending cash for his trip to the Big Apple. Justin and Bree were still sleeping. Bree wasn’t upset that her brother was going to New York, because she knew she’d be spending most of January with him. She gave him a big hug and a kiss before going to bed.

Within a few minutes, Brian, Gus, the moms and JR were on the road toward Harrisburg and the airport.

“You call me the minute you land and when you arrive at Ray’s,” Brian demanded as he gave his son a hug just before Gus entered the gate. They had gotten there in plenty of time, so much time that Gus had time to have a late breakfast.

“I will, Pop,” Gus assured his father.

“You call us first,” Mel said with a glare as she bumped Brian out of her way with her hip.

“Yes, Mama,” Gus said as he rolled his eyes. Lindsay gave Gus a hug but no further instructions. She knew he’d call the minute he landed.

“Say hi to Ray and Jeff for me,” JR said as she gave her brother a hug. “And I want something from New York and London.”

“You’re not mad at me, are you?” Gus asked JR. He seemed to be going on an adventure and leaving his sister behind.

“Nah, it’ll be my turn soon. The moms don’t know it but I’m planning to back pack my way around Europe when I graduate high school,” JR said with conviction. Gus gulped with wide eyes. He was glad they had almost four years to wait for that to happen.

“I guess I better get going,” he said as he hugged his sister and Mel close for as long as he could. He wouldn’t be seeing them for almost a month and this was different than just going off to college. At least when he was at school he was still in the same state, soon he’d be across the Atlantic.

“I love you guys,” he said to them both.

“Just behave yourself,” Mel said trying not to cry.

“Yeah, don’t do anything stupid,” JR snarked.

“And you don’t give Mama a hard time,” Gus snapped back. JR stuck her tongue out at her brother.

“Real attractive,” Gus snarked but squeezed his sister closer.

“Sonny Boy, get your ass moving or they’ll take off without you,” Brian said to hurry him along before he had to drive three crying women home. Brian hated crying women.

Gus released his mother and sister, gave Lindsay another hug as Brian bussed his head. Gus steeled his back then walked through the gate.



*****



“Pop, we’ve landed,” Gus said into his cell phone as the plane was taxiing to the gate.

“Ok. Now listen carefully. I arranged for a car to pick you up. Go to the baggage area, a man named Harold will be holding a sign with your name on it. Ask for his ID first and then he’ll drive you into the city,” Brian instructed his son. He didn’t want Gus to deal with taxis nor did he want the Greene-Mann family driving into Queens to get him.

“Okay, Pop, I understand. I’ll call you when I get to Ray’s.”

“You do that, Sonny Boy, now quick, call your mothers before they drive back here and beat me with a stick,” Brian said. Gus giggled at the imagery.

“Dialing now, Pop,” Gus replied as he said goodbye then dialed his mothers. By the time he reassured them that his flight had indeed landed safely, Gus had his carry-on bag in his hand and was walking down the ramp to find the driver named Harold.



*****



“Who is it?” Gus heard through the intercom.

“Gus Kinney,” Gus replied with a proud smile; he could officially use the Kinney moniker.

“Well, come on up, Gus Kinney!” Gus heard the familiar reply from Kenneth Mann. The buzzer sounded and Gus let himself into the brownstone.

“Gus!” Ray shouted enthusiastically as Gus got up to their floor. All pretenses of trying to maintain that cool Kinney exterior failed the moment Gus saw Ray. The boys hugged and kissed.

“Yech,” Jeffrey grumbled then stuck his hand out to greet Gus. Gus shook Jeffrey’s hand then pulled him into a hug. They all had a good laugh at Jeffrey’s confused expression.

“Hi, Uncle Simon, Uncle Ken, I bring presents!” Gus said coyly, holding up his duffle bag. He then got crushing hugs from the big men.

“Take your coat off first. There’s plenty of time for presents after you get comfortable,” Ken said as he took Gus’ coat.

“Speak for yourself, Dad, I like presents,” Jeff joked as he rubbed his hands together in anticipation and looked at Gus expectantly.

Ken looked at Simon. “He’s your son,” Ken said.

“You say that as if it’s my fault my son likes presents, oh queen of gifts,” Simon teased his spouse.

The family laughed as they all got comfortable and exchanged Christmas stories as well as presents. They all had a good laugh as Gus described the exploits of the forlorn Christmas fairies.

After a while they all bundled up to go out to show off their New York City Christmas wonderland to Gus.

It was close to midnight when they got back to the brownstone and settled down for the night. Gus was given the guest room for the duration of his visit at the Greene-Mann house, but Ray made his way in after the family had settled.

“Is it okay that you’re in here?” Gus whispered. He was lying in bed.

“Yeah, my dads are cool. They don’t want me to sneak around. I don’t want to fuck, I mean I do, but what I really want now is just to hold you.”

Gus held up a corner of the blanket for Ray. Ray quickly crawled in. They wrestled, tickled, and teased each other for a few minutes, each vying for supremacy. Gus gave in as Ray rolled on top of him. They could feel each other’s erections through their sleep pants. Softly kissing Gus’ lips, Ray began to gyrate his hips, grinding his dick against Gus’. Gus eased both their pants down so they could feel skin on skin, velvet covered steel. Gus gently kneaded Ray’s ass as Ray ground down harder, plundering Gus’ mouth with his tongue.

“Ray,” Gus moaned as he came, wrapping his arms around Ray’s trim waist.

“Oh Gus,” Ray moaned back as he came within a moment of Gus.

“Merry Christmas,” Gus murmured once his brain made it back into his skull. Ray chuckled then nibbled at Gus’ kiss swollen lips.

“Just wait till New Year’s,” Ray mumbled. The boys did a cursory clean up, snuggled close and fell fast asleep in each other’s arms.



*****



As the younger Kinney was drifting off to sleep the elder suddenly awoke. Gently easing himself out of Justin’s arms, Brian went out into the sun porch. The full moon was high overhead, bathing the sun porch in its cool light. Brian stood by the glass wall that overlooked his snow covered garden.

“Sometimes, I wish I still smoked,” he grumbled to himself.

“No you don’t,” Justin quietly said as he came out of their bedroom wrapped up in the blanket. “You gave up that habit so you could live a long life and see your children grow up.”

“Isn’t it too late in the day for one of your PSA’s?"

“Nope, and it’s early in the day. Very, very early in the day. What’s wrong, Bri?” Justin asked as he walked to Brian’s side. Justin slipped his arm around Brian’s waist.

“Nothing’s really wrong.”

“He’s safe. You spoke with Simon, yourself.”

“I know.”

“So what is it?”

“Nothing, everything. He’s a man. I never thought I’d be around to see that happen. And now he has a lover.”

“You knew that would happen. He’s a good looking boy, just like his father.”

“Normally, flattery would work.”

“Not tonight?”

“No.”

“Brian, Gus is smart as well as good looking, and he has goals. You can’t say that about many kids his age. Don’t let your fears get in the way of his happiness. He has to do some things on his own.”

“What if he gets hurt?”

“What of it? We all get hurt and we learn from it.”

“Speaking from experience, Sunshine?”

“Yes, I am. Brian, you hurt me when you first rejected me and I know I hurt you when I left you for the fiddler, but guess what? We got over it and here we are, eighteen years later, still together and still in love. With a son in college and a daughter that will someday soon take over the fucking world.”

“I just want to protect him.”

“I know you do, and you have been. You’ve given him the tools to go out in the world and make some tough decisions.”

“He’s just a kid, Justin.”

“A kid that’s grown up with very smart, loving parents who knew the score and taught their son all about it. Now it’s his turn to take what he’s learned and make his own choices. I’m not saying we abandon him. He still has a lot to learn, but he needs to flex his wings now.”

“So you’re saying I should let him go.”

“Not completely, but just a little.”

The lovers hugged, Justin could feel Brian relax a little in his arms.

“You do know that when it’s time to let Bree fly on her own I will be reminding you about this conversation,” Brian said smugly.

“Yeah, I know, but can I just be the grown up for a little while longer?” Justin said as he sighed against Brian’s chest.

Brian chuckled. “You’re the most grown up person I know, Sunshine.”

“Is your crisis over, because this grown up person is very sleepy? Can we go back to bed now?”

“It’s over for now and yes, we can go back to bed. Shit!”

“What is it now?” Justin asked as he looked up into Brian’s face. The room had suddenly become darker as the moonlight was hidden behind a thick cloud.

“It’s snowing.”

“So?”

“Bree may wake us up at the crack of dawn to finish her snowman family.”

Justin’s eyes became enormous then he began to push Brian toward their bedroom. “To bed, Kinney, now,” Justin commanded.

“Yes, dear,” Brian said as he went willingly.



*****



“So what are we going to do for New Year’s?”

“Hm, I don’t know. What would you like to do?”

“You know, I…”

“What?”

“I don’t know if I should say this.”

“Say what?” Brian asked. It wasn’t like Justin to beat around the bush.

“I’d kinda like to stay home,” Justin said as he took a sip of his coffee. He and Brian were enjoying a leisurely morning at the table in their kitchen.

“Home?” Brian repeated, his eyebrow shooting up.

“Yeah, it was so busy around here before Christmas. I’m really enjoying the peace and quiet now that everybody’s gone.”

It was a few days after Christmas. Debbie and Carl had headed south in the motor home. All the Christmas fairies had recovered from their injuries and their hard work leading up to Christmas. They had dispersed to their homes and jobs, leaving Brian and Justin and the Morrison-Anderson’s to the sound of silence in their homes. Even Gus was far away in New York City with Ray and the Mann-Greene’s.

“It is nice having just us here,” Brian admitted.

“And Bree.”

“Of course, Bree.”

“We have to make some decisions about her wardrobe, you know.”

“Her wardrobe?”

“She’s been hauling party dresses and other paraphernalia out of her closet. She wants to pack it all. I think she’s hoping to meet the Queen.”

Brian snorted. “Well, she is a princess.”

“Just … don’t try to arrange a meeting with the Queen, okay?” Justin advised with a worried frown.

“There are limits to my power to make things happen,” Brian said with a wry smile.

“Thank God!”

“I wouldn’t try to arrange…”

“I know, Brian. I’m teasing. But we really do need to limit what Bree can take with her. It just becomes ridiculous.”

Brian nodded. “Is she in her room?”

“Yes, probably finding more stuff to pack,” Justin sighed.

“I’ll go talk to her.”

“Thanks, she listens to you when it comes to clothes and fashion.”

“Of course,” Brian smirked.

“Good luck,” Justin replied as Brian stood up.

“I can always tell her that we’ll buy her whatever she needs when we get to England.”

Justin heaved a mighty sigh. “Don’t you dare! That’s the last thing she needs to hear.”

Brian chuckled, and then he frowned. “Why were you afraid to tell me that you want to stay home on New Year’s Eve?”

“I … I thought it might make us sound old. You know, homebodies instead of hot studs dancing and carousing at Babylon.”

“We can be hot studs dancing at Babylon next year. Let’s stay home,” Brian said with a smile.

“I love you.”

“I know,” Brian smirked and then made a hasty retreat to Bree’s bedroom.



*****



“So what are we going to do for New Year’s?”

“Hm, I don’t know. What would you like to do?”

“You know, I…”

“What?”

“I don’t know if I should say this.”

“Say what?” Gus asked. He and Ray were curled up together on the sofa in the Mann-Greene brownstone.

“I kind of hate to admit this,” Ray said hesitantly.

“What is it?” Gus demanded. “It sounds serious.”

“It’s not serious, but you’ll probably think it’s stupid.”

“Stupid? What is it?”

“I … I’d love to go to Times Square and watch the ball drop at midnight.”

“Wow!”

“See, you think it’s cheesy.”

“Not at all. If that’s what you’d like to do then we’ll do it,” Gus said. “Do you go every year?”

Ray shook his head. “I’ve never gone. We usually watch it on TV like everybody else in the country.”

Gus chuckled. “Then I think we should definitely go. I like the idea of celebrating New Year’s with a million other people.”

“I knew there was some reason I liked you, Kinney.”

Gus grinned. “And you called me Kinney,” he whispered softly.

“You really like your new name, don’t you?”

“I love it. It feels so … right.”

“I’m really happy for you, Gus.”

“Thanks,” Gus whispered as he leaned into Ray and kissed him warmly. That led to a heated make out session. “Let’s go back to the bedroom,” Gus gasped when Ray let him come up for air.

Ray leaped off the couch and grabbed Gus’ hand. They laughed all the way down the hall, as they ran for the nearest bed.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 11





“4-3-2-1, HAPPY NEW YEAR!” The crowd at Times Square roared as the ball dropped signaling the new year of 2019. Gus and Ray hugged, slapping each other on the back as friends do, their eyes conveying so much more. They each pulled out their cell phones to call their families.

“Pop! Can you hear me, Pop?” Gus shouted into his phone. The noise of the crowd was almost deafening.

“I can hear you,” Brian replied with a broad smile. It was only a few minutes past twelve. Gus must have called him first.

“I’m here at Times Square. I got to see the ball drop!” Gus said with excitement.

Brian chuckled; it was quite obvious where Gus was. “Happy New Year, Sonny Boy.”

“Happy New Year, Pop. Will you say hi to everyone for me?”

“I will. You be careful out there.”

“I will. We’re heading to the GLC as soon as we can get out of this crowd.”

“Okay. I love you, Sonny Boy.”

“Love you too, Pop.”

“And call your moms!”

“Okay, Daaad,” Gus said, rolling his eyes. “See you in a couple of days. Bye, Pop.”

“Night, Sonny Boy.”

Gus cut the connection with his father then quickly called his mothers as Ray was talking to his fathers, and trying to steer them out of the crowd and off the main street.

“Mom!”

“Gus! Where are you?”

“In the middle of the city, Mom. Happy New Year!”

“Happy New Year to you too, lambskin. Are you having fun?”

“It’s great, Mom. Is Mama awake?” He could just about make out his mother passing the phone over to Mel.

“Gus, honey?”

“Happy New Year, Mama!”

“Happy New Year to you too, sweetheart. Are you warm enough?”

“Oh mom, I’m fine. Is JR still awake?”

“No, baby, her eyes dropped just as the ball did. Call her in the morning.”

“I will. I gotta go. Ray and I are going to meet his family at the GLC. They’re having a party at the center.”

“Okay, stay warm, and call me tomorrow.”

“Okay, Mama. Love you.”

“Love you too, baby.” Gus hung up then shoved his phone deep into his pocket as he and Ray made it over to 7th Avenue.

With energy that only teenage boys possess, the two ran all the way to Chelsea and to the GLC to join Ray’s family for the ending of the party.



*****



“Last call!” the ‘bartender’ at the GLC shouted. Friends and family were enjoying all sorts of non-alcoholic beverages including coffee and tea. The boys ignored the call so they could dance the last dance of the night. Holding each other close, Gus and Ray swayed slowly to the music. Jeff, who was there with his girlfriend, was dancing as well.

“Were we ever that young?” Ken asked Simon as they watched their sons dance with their partners.

“If we were, it was a hell of a long time ago,” Simon said with a soft sigh.

“Dance with me, honey,” Ken said as he held out his hand to his life partner. Simon took Ken’s hand then walked to the dance area. Holding each other close, the partners danced the last dance of the night together with their family.



*****



“Daddy?” a sleepy Briana called out as she shuffled out into the living room clutching her grey bunny and looking for her fathers. Brian and Justin had watched the ball drop then turned off the TV to watch the fire crackling away in their hearth. They had shared a bottle of wine and now they were just sharing one of their last quiet nights together at Edna’s Treasures before their trip to London.

“Here, baby girl,” Justin said. Bree shuffled her way over to the sofa where the lovers were snuggled together under an afghan. Bree reached the sofa then kneeled so she could lay her head on the edge of the couch.

“Uughh, you’re getting so big,” Justin groaned as he leaned over to lift his daughter up and onto his chest. Brian rearranged the blanket to cover their child as she immediately dropped off back to sleep the minute her head hit her daddy’s chest. The proud dads smiled as they gazed upon their peacefully sleeping daughter.

“She’s beautiful, Bri,” Justin whispered. Bree was nestled within Justin’s arms, her grey bunny still in her hand.

“Yes, she is. Just like her daddy,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear as he wrapped his arms around both of his blonds.

In the quiet of the early hours of the New Year, the families of Edna’s Treasures slept on.



*****



Patrick came out of Bree’s bedroom with a worried look on his face. He went to find one of his uncles.

Outside of Brian and Justin’s bedroom he halted. He thought he heard some noise from inside. The door was open a little bit so he knocked.

Justin opened the door. “Hey, buddy, what’s up?” he asked.

“Bree’s sad.”

“Sad?”

“Yeah, she won’t hardly talk to me. She’s sitting on her bed holding her bunny with a really sad look on her face,” Patrick explained.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked as worry took over. They were all getting ready to leave for New York the following day. Bree was all packed and she hadn’t seemed too worried about going. She had asked to call Ashley so that she could say goodbye. “Ashley!” Justin said as the thought struck him.

“Yeah, she doesn’t want to leave Ashley for such a long time.”

“Did she tell you that?”

“Sort of, but I mostly figured it out,” Patrick replied.

“Thanks for telling me this, Patrick,” Justin said squeezing the boy’s shoulder. “I’ll go talk to her.”

“Good luck, because she wouldn’t talk to me.”

“Thanks, I may need it,” Justin said as he started down the hall to Bree’s room.

Patrick headed to his side of the cottages.

“Bree,” Justin said as he pushed open the door of her bedroom.

“Yes, Daddy.”

“Patrick tells me you’re sad.”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“What’s wrong? I thought you were looking forward to going to England.”

“I was.”

“But you’re not anymore?”

Bree shook her head making her ponytail dance around her face. “I don’t want to go.”

Justin felt anger rise. This was not what he needed to deal with when they were trying to get ready to leave. He took a deep breath and tried to calm himself. “Bree, we talked all about our trip. Everything is arranged.”

“I know.”

“Then why are you sad?”

“Can Ashley come with us? I don’t want to go without her.”

“No, sweetheart,” Justin replied, “Ashley cannot come with us. Ashley has school and…”

“Auntie Lindsay could teach Ashley too,” Bree interrupted.

Obviously Bree had thought this through. “Does Ashley’s mother know you want her to come with us?”

Bree shook her head. “Ashley said her mother wouldn’t let her come.”

Justin breathed a sigh of relief at that revelation. Thank heavens for Ashley’s practical mother. “Then we can’t bring Ashley with us.”

“I don’t want to go without her. I’ll miss her.”

“We’re only going for a month, Bree. Ashley will be here when we get back.”

“But a month’s … forever,” Bree said stressing the forever.

Justin smiled slightly. To someone Bree’s age a month probably did seem like forever. He thought for a minute before saying, “You remember when Gus went away to college?”

Bree nodded. “Yeah, I didn’t like that either.”

“I know, and it was almost a month before you saw him again. It will be the same with Ashley. You’ll see her in the same amount of time as that. And Gus will be with us in England for almost the whole time.”

“Really?” Bree asked perking up a bit.

“Yes, and you’ll be able to spend a lot of time together with your brother. You’d like that, wouldn’t you?”

“Yes.”

“Then are we good to go?”

“I … Ashley,” Bree moaned.

Justin sighed again. He had thought he was winning this one. Why did he have to ask if things were all right? He should have known the fucking answer. “Bree,” he said after a moment of thought.

“Yes, Daddy,” Bree responded, sounding very sad.

“You’re all packed, right?”

“Yes.”

“What if you called Ashley back and asked her mother if Ashley could come for dinner? We’d pick her up and you could spend some time with her before bedtime.”

Bree looked into her father’s eyes. “Could I?” she asked hopefully.

“It’s worth a try. Come to the kitchen and we’ll call.”

“’Kay, Daddy. Thank you.”

“I want you to be happy, sweetheart, and I want you to enjoy this trip.”

“I’ll try.”

“That’s my girl,” Justin said as Bree jumped off her bed into his arms and kissed his face. He laughed all the way to the phone.



*****



“What’s wrong?” Ray asked Gus. Ray found Gus standing on the roof terrace. The sun was bright in the sky, but January in New York City could be brutally cold at times.

“I’m going to miss you. This week has been the greatest. It’s like we’re finally in a real relationship, not just phone boyfriends.”

“I know,” Ray said softly, turning up the collar of his coat. The wind was whipping around the terrace. Gus was sadly looking out and over the wall at the street below. The quiet afternoon was interrupted by a fire truck driving by with sirens blaring.

Gus turned around to hug Ray; they held each other tight. Gus buried his head into Ray’s neck, gently kissing the soft skin.

“Boys, come in here! If you guys get sick now, you’re not going to be able to get on that plane to London,” Ken said reasonably with a smirk on his face. He quickly turned to go back inside the apartment. A few moments later the boys flew into the apartment and down to Ken’s home office.

“Dad, you said guys as in plural as in more than one guy on the plane. Are you saying what I think you’re saying?” Ray looked expectantly at his father. Gus stood next to Ray lacing his fingers into Ray’s, waiting for Ken’s reply.

“Sit,” Ken said, pointing to the small sofa along one wall of his office. The boys quickly sat. Ken chuckled at the wide-eyed expressions on their handsome faces.

“Simon and I had an interesting conversation with your father,” Ken began as he looked at Gus. “He must have anticipated this possibility and purchased one more ticket … for you.” Ken turned his gaze onto his son. “We didn’t want to say anything at first because we wanted to see how your visit was going. We all agree you two deserve this time together. And since Ray goes back to college just about the same time you do, we thought this would be a wonderful way to spend his winter break.”

Both boys beamed with happiness but within a minute their smiles turned to frowns.

“Dad, what about Jeffrey?”

“Yeah. I mean, Ray being able to go is like a dream come true, but I feel bad leaving Jeff behind,” Gus added.

“I’m cool, guys,” Jeff said as he entered the room. “Dude, you have one cool dad, you know?” Jeff said to Gus. Gus smiled; he knew just how cool his father was. “He offered me a ticket too, but me and Renee are in a play next month and we need this time to rehearse. So go forth and represent!” Jeffrey said very dramatically and magnanimously, regally gesturing with his hands. He took a bow then left the office, leaving his brother and Gus sitting there with their mouths hanging open.

He quickly popped his head back in and said, “Oh, you better bring me back some kick-ass presents!” Jeff was gone again in a flash. His father was laughing out loud while the boys still looked stunned.

Later that night the boys were discussing their good fortune.

“I can’t believe I’m really going to England with you!” Ray whispered as the boys cuddled together in Gus’ bed.

“Me neither, and that was even after I spoke to my dad. We get to spend practically the whole month together, and in London. What do you want to see first?”

“I don’t know. Maybe New Scotland Yard.”

“Scotland Yard?”

“Yeah. Or Baker Street. Or where Jack the Ripper went to hunt for his victims.”

“Uh, Ray, I think I’m sensing a pattern here.”

“I love Sherlock Holmes.”

“Okaaay. Um, but what about the palace and Westminster? Maybe we can take a tour to Stonehenge.”

“Yeah! Yeah! I’m for that too.”

“Thank the gods. I was beginning to think you were into weird stuff.”

“Of course, I’m into weird stuff. You’re my boyfriend, ain’t ya?” Ray said with a grin on his face that in the dark room Ray was sure Gus couldn’t see.

“Why, you...”

Gus may not have been able to see Ray’s face but that didn’t stop him from knowing about the smirk. Gus pounced on Ray. Using his longer body to pin Ray down, Gus began to tickle his boyfriend in retaliation, throwing in some occasional kisses. Soon there was a lot less tickling and a lot more kisses.

“I love you, Gus,” Ray whispered as he trailed his hands up and down Gus’ back.

“Me too,” Gus murmured as he nibbled at Ray’s ear.

“The Tower of London,” Ray mumbled as Gus slowly licked the shell of Ray’s ear. Gus took a little bite as Ray laughed and then their ‘fight’ resumed.



*****



“Lindsay, do you have everything?” Melanie asked her spouse. They had spent the holiday season together with JR at their new cottage. But now that the holidays were over, it was time for JR to go back to school and for Mel to drive them back to Pittsburgh. It also meant that Lindsay was going to fly to London with Brian and his family.

“Yes, I think so,” Lindsay replied. She had two large suitcases ready by the door, her purse and a carry-on. “My ticket and passport are here,” she said as she waved her purse in the air. “My copy of the catalog and notes are in here,” she continued, indicating the carry-on.

“Did you pack enough clothes?”

“I have enough for a month but I hope we won’t stay that long.”

“What about the kids’ lessons, their books and things?”

“Brian decided he didn’t want to take a chance with luggage. He had the books and lesson plans FedEx’d to the townhouse. It’ll be there when we arrive.”

“He does think of everything,” Mel conceded.

The women became very quiet, staring into the other’s eyes. JR was taking one last look around the cottage for anything they might have missed.

“Gag,” JR groaned. “Thank the gods Uncle John did such a great job on insulating this cottage. You two are gross sometimes,” JR complained. Her moms had spent the holidays ‘saying’ goodbye. JR had had enough of their goo-goo eyes. “Mommy, we have to go!” JR said impatiently as she looked at her watch. She knew her uncles were on a timetable. Her moms nodded glumly.

They loaded up their car, took one last look around the cottage, locked up then drove to Edna’s Treasures.



*****



“Don’t worry, I’ll call every week. The month will go quick, and we’ll be back before you know it.” There was a pause in the conversation.

“I know you’re going to miss us and we’re going to miss you too.” Another pause.

“Don’t look at me like that with those big brown eyes of yours. Oh fuck! Now, the puppy dog eyes look.”

“We’ll be okay, and you will be too. Your pantry is fully stocked and your favorite fairy godmother will check on you regularly. I promise.”

“Brian, who are you talking to?” Justin asked. Brian was in the sun porch, squatting on the floor. He stood up to find Justin, Mel, Lindsay, JR and John staring at him. Brian felt his neck become warm.

“I was talking to Beau,” Brian said with as much dignity as he could muster. “He knows something’s going on and I wasn’t about to lie to him,” Brian explained.

Justin smiled affectionately at Brian.

John shook his head and chuckled.

JR giggled.

And Lindsay looked at Brian with big doe eyes.

“Oh just fucking kill me,” Mel grumbled as she dropped Lindsay’s bags onto the floor with a thud. She swung Lindsay around to plant a big kiss on her lips. JR gave her mom a hug and then she and Mel left to drive back to the Pitts, leaving Edna’s Treasures to deal with Brian.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 12





“Is everyone settled?” Justin asked as Brian sat down in the bulkhead seat across the aisle from him in first class. The jet was carrying them all to their new adventure to London.

“By everyone, you mean the amorous boys in the back,” Brian said with a snort.

“Yes, I mean Gus and Ray.”

“They’re all covered with a blanket and pretending to be asleep.”

Justin chuckled. Bree was sleeping beside him in the big seat and Lindsay was doing the same beside Brian. They had decided that this arrangement was the best for the long trip across the pond. Because they had purchased Ray’s ticket at the last minute, the boys had ended up in the last row of first class. Justin was well aware that being more or less on their own pleased the young men no end, and traveling first class was not to be sneezed at either.

“That’s good.”

“I said pretending to be asleep. We don’t know what’s going on under that blanket.”

“Brian, they’re good kids.”

“I know. I’m just grumpy because I can’t do the same with you.”

Justin chuckled. “We could go to the restroom.”

“At one time I’d be happy to take you up on that. However, since Emmett’s misadventure with the mile high club, I don’t think that’s wise.”

“But George was old.”

“You are not to repeat this, but so am I.”

“You are not!” Justin exclaimed hating to hear Brian utter those unexpected words.

“George wasn’t all that much older than me,” Brian said hanging his head. He hated to admit that, but he knew it was true.

“You’ll always be young and beautiful … and vibrant and sexual and handsome beyond belief and…”

“Enough, you’re making me embarrassed and … hard,” Brian whispered with a smile.

“The offer to meet in the restroom still stands,” Justin said with a wink.

“As much as I would like that, I think we need to be the adults and show a little decorum for the young ones,” Brian replied looking over his shoulder towards the back. He could see movement beneath the blanket covering the boys. “They’re doing something,” he said unbuckling his seatbelt.

“Leave them alone, Brian,” Justin said laying his hand on Brian’s arm. “Everyone else is asleep.”

Brian shrugged and did up his seatbelt again. “When did I become a prude, and when have I ever turned down sex?” Brian whispered looking into Justin’s eyes.

“When you’re trying to be a good father and a responsible adult.”

“Fuck that!” Brian said with a grimace.

“Follow me to the restroom. That’s an order, and I expect you to be there within two minutes,” Justin said. He got up out of his seat and quickly made his way to the restroom.

Brian glanced around before unbuckling his seatbelt. He walked down the aisle and opened the door to the restroom which he had seen Justin enter. It was not locked.

As soon as he stepped inside, Justin reached around him and pushed the lock across. He wrapped his arms around Brian’s neck and kissed Brian with the best toe curling kiss in his arsenal.

“I thought I told you…”

“Shut up. You’re never going to be too old for this,” Justin said.

He grabbed Brian’s zipper and slid it down, reaching into his husband’s underwear to find the treasure he wanted. Justin’s words and that kiss had had the desired effect. Brian’s hard leaking cock sprang free.

Justin dropped to his knees and took the purple member into his mouth. Brian let out a groan of satisfaction as Justin started his ministrations. No one gave head like Justin Taylor.

“Oh fucking shit!” Brian gasped as Justin’s lips and tongue did things that made Brian’s body sing. He grabbed the counter and held on as Justin continued his work.

Brian felt his balls rise up and he knew he was going to come. “Justin,” he gasped grabbing onto Justin’s blond locks with one hand while he kept the other holding firmly onto the counter. He was afraid if he let go of the counter he might spin off into outer space. “Oh fuck!” he yelped and came so hard everything went black for a second.

Brian felt Justin release his cock and stand up wrapping his arms around Brian’s waist and holding on tight. He kissed Brian’s lips and gave his husband a taste of himself.

“Better?” Justin asked as Brian’s eyes finally opened.

“Unquestionably,” Brian mumbled.

“That’s a fucking five syllable word. How can you utter such a thing after what I just did to you?” Justin asked with a little chuckle.

“Did I say something?” Brian asked.

Justin laughed a little louder. “I love you so fucking much.”

“Me too.”

“You better zip up and let me out of here. Someone else may want the toilet.”

“They won’t have half as much fun in here as I did,” Brian said zipping up his jeans.

“They better not!” Justin laughed. “Do you feel better?”

“I’m fine, and maybe now I can get some sleep too.”

“Good, I think we should. Morning will come before we know it, and we’ll be in London.” Justin turned to unlock the door.

“Justin.” Justin turned back to look at his husband. “Thanks, you know how I get sometimes.”

Justin nodded. “Yeah, and that’s why I’m here.” Justin stepped out and closed the door. Brian followed a minute later. They both took their seats and were soon asleep like everyone else in the first class cabin, including two horny boys at the back.



*****



“Daddy?”

“Yes, Bree.”

“Where are we?”

“We’ll be landing in about an hour, sweetheart. They’re serving juice and breakfast. Want some?”

Bree sat up and pushed the blanket down from her head. “Thirsty,” she said with a yawn and a stretch.

“Here, have a drink of mine,” Justin said handing her the small glass of orange juice that the flight attendant had given him a minute before. He supposed that was what had woken Bree. He hadn’t even had a drink from it yet.

Briana took the glass and promptly downed the whole thing.

“You were thirsty,” Justin chuckled.

Bree nodded. “More?”

“We’ll get some more when the flight attendant comes back.”

“’Kay, Daddy.”

“Did you sleep good?”

“I think so.”

“Come here, sweetheart,” Justin said unbuckling Bree’s seatbelt. She crawled over onto his knee and laid her head on his chest.

“Morning, Squirt,” Brian said from across the aisle.

“Dada,” Bree said sleepily. She held out her hand and Brian took it into his, until the flight attendant arrived with more juice.

“I’m going to check on the boys,” Brian said standing up.

“Do you want breakfast if the attendant brings it?” Justin asked.

“Sure. I’ll find something edible out of whatever crap they offer.”

Justin shook his head as Brian made his way back down the aisle.

“How are you guys doing?” Brian asked the two boys who were gobbling down the food on their breakfast trays.

“Great, Pop,” Gus replied.

“Me too,” Ray chirped in.

“You’re both very chipper this morning.”

“I slept great, Pop. Thanks for letting Ray come with us.”

“Yeah, thanks, Mr. Kinney,” Ray added.

“You’re both welcome, and try not to make me regret bringing … either of you,” Brian added with a wink at the boys.

“Never, Pop,” Gus laughed.

“Okay, finish your breakfasts. We’ll be landing soon.”

“I can hardly wait,” Ray blurted out.

“Me too,” Gus chimed in.

Brian shook his head and went back to his seat.

“Daddy,” Bree said as she picked at her omelet.

“Yes?”

“How come Gus gets to bring Ray to England and I don’t get to bring Ashley?”

Justin almost swallowed his tongue along with his jam covered roll. He let the question hang in the air because he had no idea how he was going to answer it.



*****



“Brian, what is this?” John asked sternly as Brian walked over to a man holding a large card with KINNEY written on it who was standing near the baggage carousel.

“Have faith, big bro,” Brian quipped as he had a few words with the man.

While Brian appeared to be confirming arrangements, John and Bobby were retrieving and organizing all of their luggage. They all tried to pack conservatively but it was nine of them and it was a lot of luggage.

“Brian?” Lindsay asked. She was feeling a bit overwhelmed and very tired. Brian wrapped his arm around her and gave her a little squeeze. Just then the man Brian had spoken to stepped closer accompanied by another man.

“Ready when you are, Mr. Kinney,” the man said. Brian nodded.

“Pop?” Gus asked with curiosity.

“Okay people, here’s the plan,” Brian began his explanation like he was having a campaign strategy meeting while the two men began to load their bags onto dollies.

“These two gentlemen are our private drivers and will be for the length of our stay. Now, before you all speak at once to argue with me, just hear me out. Number one, there’s a hell of a lot of us and no need to cram us into one car, hence getting two. Justin and Lindsay will be spending a lot of time at the gallery. They’ll need reliable transport back and forth, and this seemed the most logical and economical. This way they don’t have to rely on cabs all the time. I’m sure we’ll all be taking day trips and sight-seeing tours so we can use the other car. And lastly, have you ever seen how these people drive over here? For some reason they insist on driving on the wrong side of the road. I’m not taking any chances, nor do I intend on renting any car to do the driving myself.

“So, is anyone going to argue with me about the cars?” Brian asked as he scanned the faces of his family. Everyone, including Bree and Patrick shook their heads, no.

“Good. Now let me introduce Stuart and Nathan. They will be our drivers and guides while we’re here.”

John and Bobby were the first to step up to greet the drivers. John was treated to a double take on the part of Stuart and Nathan. He chuckled as he shook their hands.

“I get that a lot,” John said with a handsome smile. “Brian and I are brothers,” John explained. Stuart and Nathan smiled appreciatively at the other handsome Kinney.

“I’m Gus Kinney,” Gus said. He laughed out loud as the drivers became bug-eyed at the sight of the third handsome Kinney. “Brian Kinney is my Pop!”

“Let’s get this show on the road, people,” Brian commanded. The family followed the drivers as they pushed the dollies with their luggage out the doors and to the cars.



*****



“Hey Pop, look at this place,” Gus said in awe as they drove up to the townhouse that the family would call home for the next few weeks. “Is this whole house ours?”

“I believe so, but I think we should knock on the door to find out for sure,” Brian said reasonably.

They all piled out of the cars to assemble outside the townhouse doors. The drivers stood outside the cars waiting for further instruction. As Brian was about to press the doorbell, the door swung open.

“Mr. Kinney?” an efficient looking woman asked. Brian nodded. “I’m Martha Hudson, the housekeeper and Lady Rutledge’s assistant. I run the house. I’m at your disposal,” Martha said as she beckoned the family inside. She sent an under butler out to instruct the drivers and take charge of the luggage, as she showed the family around the townhouse.

“Dada,” Bree’s little voice broke through the chaos. “Sleepy, Dada,” Bree said. The long flight and strange surroundings were taking its toll on the child and on the rest of the family. Only Gus and Ray seemed to have the energy to remain excited.

Brian picked up his daughter.

“Ms. Hudson...”

“Hudson, just Hudson, sir.”

“Hudson, would you show us to the kids’ room? I think Bree and Patrick could use a nap. I think we all could use a nap,” Brian said as he looked at the weary faces of his family.

“Of course, Mr. Kinney, right this way.”

“And one more thing. Could someone give my son and his friend a map of the city? I have a feeling that they don’t need a nap.” Brian chuckled. Gus and Ray were champing at the bit ready to explore the town.

“I’ll handle it personally,” Martha replied. She smiled fondly at the sleeping little girl in her temporary ‘master’s’ arms.

After settling the family in various rooms, Martha showed the boys into her office. On her desk were several brochures and tourist maps of London.

“These are for you,” Martha said as she handed the boys an envelope each. In them were brochures of popular attractions, a map of the city and passes for the underground. “This is the phone number to the house and the address. May I suggest for this first exploration of our city, you go by car. You may be feeling energetic now but in a couple of hours you won’t be.” The boys agreed.

Placing the maps and other information in their messenger bags, the boys were ready to start their journey.

“Thank you, Miss Hudson,” the boys said cheerfully.

Hudson showed Gus and Ray out to their waiting car.



*****



“Where do you boys want to go first?” Nathan asked as he started up the car. Gus and Ray were in the back studying a tourist map.

“Can you drive us past New Scotland Yard?” Ray wanted to catch a glimpse of the famous sign.

“Your wish is my command,” Nathan quipped as he pulled out into the London traffic to do his young masters’ bidding.



*****



“I can’t believe we’re really here,” John said as he snuggled up to Bobby. They had taken a quick shower, changed into some loose sweats then laid down on the massive bed in the elegant room they were given to occupy for the duration of their visit.

“If I could keep my eyes open I’d tell you just how excited I am to be here too,” Bobby murmured as he wrapped his arms around his lover.

“Then go to sleep. We can be excited later,” John said as he kissed Bobby then followed him into sleep land.



*****



“The kids are out cold,” Justin said as he climbed into bed next to Brian.

“I know. Patrick was trying to keep his eyes open but he couldn’t.”

“Do you think they’ll be all right in that room?”

“I don’t see why not. It is the nursery, albeit a very large nursery with two huge beds.”

“But they’re sharing the room. Patrick’s not a baby. I’m sure Bree’s ecstatic or she will be when she wakes up and realizes she’ll be sharing the room with her Patrick. But I don’t think Patrick will be too happy about it.”

“Justin, it’s only for a few weeks. The room doubles as their schoolroom. I’m sure they’ll grin and bear it while we’re here. Let’s go to sleep; we can debate this later.”

“Okay,” Justin mumbled as he cuddled closer to Brian. He was out even before Brian had the chance to cover him with the blanket. Brian smiled as he too went to sleep.



*****



“Hi,” Lindsay said drowsily into her phone.

“Hi! You made it okay?” Mel asked.

“Yeah but I’m beat. These overnight flights are killers. The whole family is taking a nap except for Gus and Ray. They’re out exploring the city already.”

“Lindsay, is it safe for them to be out by themselves?”

“Don’t worry,” Lindsay said with a yawn. “Brian hired private cars for us. The boys are being driven.”

“Oh, okay. He sure thinks of everything.”

“Yeah, he does.”

“Lindz.”

“Mmm?”

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too.”

“I was thinking about you just before you called. I...I had to...”

“Did you touch yourself?”

“Yeah,” Mel whispered into her phone.

“I wish I was awake enough for phone sex.”

“Tomorrow?” Mel asked hopefully. “I love you, Lindz.”

“Tomorrow and I love you too. Night, Melanie.”

“Good night, Lindsay.” Lindsay hung up the phone then allowed her hand to stray between her legs. She fell into a deep sleep before her hand could do anything remotely satisfying.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 13






“Dada, can we go for a walk?”

“A walk?”

“Yeah, I want see what’s out there,” Bree said as she had her nose stuck to the front window of the townhouse.

Brian set down the brochure he had been reading. “Let’s ask Daddy if he can come with us.”

“’Kay,” Bree replied leaving her post at the window.

“Where’s Patrick?” Brian asked standing up to go look for Justin in the library where he was working with Lindsay.

“Patrick and his daddies went out a long time ago.”

“Early birds,” Brian speculated, even though it was well into the afternoon when everyone had finished their naps.

“I don’t know, but I want to go out too.”

“Didn’t they ask you?”

“Yes, but I wanted to go with you,” Bree said batting her long lashes at her father.

“You are a little temptress,” Brian chuckled.

“Temptress – what’s that?”

“Someone who knows how to bat her eyelashes at unsuspecting beaux so that she can get whatever she wants.” Brian watched a little color come to his daughter’s cheeks.

“Moi?” Bree asked with a perfect patterning of the way Brian said that when someone accused him of something he had done, but he wasn’t prepared to admit it outright.

Brian laughed. “Yes, Squirt, toi!” He picked Bree up and hugged her tight, carrying her across the foyer to the library.

“Knock, knock,” Brian said at the door. “There’s a little girl here who wants to go for a walk, and she’d really love her daddy to come with her.”

“Hey, sweetheart,” Justin said smiling at Bree. “I think we’re pretty well organized for tomorrow, aren’t we, Lindsay?”

Lindsay nodded and continued to write some notes on a pad of paper.

“So, can you come, Daddy?” Bree asked.

“I’d love to.”

“How about you, Lindsay?” Brian asked. “Care to join us.”

“I’d love to, but I really need to make a few more phone calls, and get some things ready for tomorrow. Go, have some family time before I hustle Justin away tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Lindsay,” Justin said. He followed Brian out of the library with Bree holding onto his hand.

“Hudson,” Brian called.

“Yes, sir,” Hudson said appearing immediately from another doorway. “You can use the bell pull, sir. It’ll save your voice,” she said pointing to the needlepoint strip of fabric hanging in the foyer.

“Point taken,” Brian said. “Bree would like to go for a walk before dinner. What would you suggest?”

“Dinner will be at seven,” Hudson informed them. “And for the walk, I would recommend going that way. After a couple of blocks you will see the entrance to the tube. You might care to use that to go downtown in the future, so you will know where it is. And if you continue on for another couple of blocks, you will come to a small park where the young lady might enjoy playing.”

“Yay!” Bree said clapping her hands.

“Let’s get our coats, and we can be off,” Brian said. “Thank you, Hudson.”

“That’s part of my job, sir. I’m happy to help. Your coats are in the cupboard over here.” She walked to the back of the foyer and opened the door to a closet.

“It’s a closet, not a cupboard,” Bree informed the woman.

“Perhaps that’s the case in America, but here in England we would call this a cupboard or a wardrobe.”

“Oh,” Bree said staring up at the woman.

“You’ll find there are many other words that will be different from what you usually call them,” Hudson explained. “Take the tube, for example, also called the Underground. You would call it a subway, but here a subway is merely a walkway that goes underground. There are no trains in it.”

“Oh,” Bree said. She had no idea what this lady was explaining to her.

“Put your coat on, Bree,” Brian said holding it open for her. She slid her arms inside and started buttoning it up.

“How come there’s no snow?” Bree asked when she was finished buttoning. “I didn’t see none out the window. We have snow at home. I made snowmen.”

“Our climate is a little less cold than yours, my dear,” Hudson said proudly. “It’s rare that we get snow.”

“That’s too bad,” Bree replied.

Hudson stifled a laugh.

“Thanks again, Hudson,” Justin said. “We better get going.”

“Good idea, sir,” Hudson said. “If you have time you can walk through the park and along the street on that side to come back home.”

“Thank you,” they all said as they left the house.

“She’s very nice and helpful,” Justin said as Bree put one of her hands in each of her father’s and they started down the street.

“I imagine she’s extremely good at her job,” Brian said.

“She certainly seems to be.”

“Why doesn’t she like snow?” Bree asked, having listened to her fathers’ conversation.

“Most adults aren’t nearly as fond of snow as you are, Squirt,” Brian told her.

“I love snow.”

“We know.”

They walked along the street admiring the fine townhomes that they passed. This was certainly a lovely part of London with wide streets and sidewalks. There were trees spaced out along the street. None had leaves at this time of year, but they would provide nice shade in the summer. Brian made note of all that with his gardener’s eye. He wondered what the park would be like.

They passed the entrance to the Underground or the tube as Hudson had called it. Bree walked along between her fathers looking at everything and taking it all in. She was very interested in the black cars with the lights on the top. Justin explained they were taxis.

“But taxis are apposed to be yellow,” she replied.

“Not in England.”

“Oh.” She realized she was going to have a lot to learn.

Before long they reached the park. There were benches and paved walkways, and a children’s play area off to one side.

“Slides,” Bree grinned.

“Okay, you go play on the slides, Squirt. Daddy and I will be sitting on the bench right here. Stay in sight.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said as she ran over to the slide and started climbing the ladder. A little boy who didn’t appear to be as old as Bree was also sliding. Brian hoped Bree didn’t try to take over the play area.

“So, you have to go to the gallery tomorrow?” Brian asked as they sat down on the bench.

“Yeah, probably tomorrow and the following day until we work out what’s happening,” Justin explained.

“We should figure out what we want to see, and any day trips we might want to take.”

“And then there’s the plays and museums and architecture and…”

“We’re only here for a month,” Brian said with a laugh.

“Yeah, but we can make the most of it.”

“True.”

“Daddy, Dada, this is Ian. He has a soccer ball over there,” Bree said as she and the little freckle faced boy from the slide came to a screeching halt in front of them. “Can I go play with Ian over there?” Bree pointed over to a woman who was sitting on a bench with a soccer ball beside her. The woman gave them a wave.

“I guess,” Brian said. “But stay in sight.”

“’Kay, Dada. Come on, Ian.”

The kids ran over to the woman and Ian grabbed the soccer ball. They started kicking it back and forth between them and then running along keeping control of the ball as they did so.

“That little boy is good for his age,” Brian observed as he watched the children.

“But not as good as Bree,” Justin said with a smile as Bree deftly took the ball away from Ian with her feet and ran it back towards the lady who had been holding it.

“She needs the exercise after that long plane ride.”

“Let’s let her run for a while, then we’ll head back.”

“Sounds good.” Brian continued to study the children.

“You want to join them, don’t you?” Justin asked with a grin.

“Well, maybe…”

“Go ahead,” Justin encouraged him.

He sat for the next half hour or so watching his daughter and his husband and a freckle faced boy run and kick a ball and have the time of their lives. It was a great start to their trip to England.



*****



“Are you two off to the gallery?” John asked as the family was gathered at the dining table for breakfast.

Hudson had announced at dinner the previous night that breakfast would be served promptly at seven. Anyone arriving later than that could argue with Cook and then rustle up their own breakfast. Considering how busy Lindsay and Justin were going to be for the next few weeks, the family thought it prudent to show support by getting up and having breakfast together. Besides, they were all quite used to being up just as early when they were all home.

Hudson was rather impressed.

“Yes,” Lindsay mumbled around a scone. “We’re expected by nine.”

“Auntie Lindsay, when are we going to have school?” Bree asked. She was enjoying her toast with brambleberry jam.

“We’re going to review your lessons each night after dinner and then you’ll both take a small quiz,” Lindsay began to explain. “Bobby is going to be my assistant teacher.”

“Poppa? A teacher?” Patrick asked.

“Believe it or not, when I met your Poppa, he was one of the most hardworking men I ever had the pleasure to meet,” John explained with pride to his son and niece. “He tended bar, waited tables and tutored his fellow students to pay for his education. I don’t know where he got all the energy but he did it and it paid off. He’s a very successful lawyer,” John said beaming broadly at his spouse.

“When were you going to let me in on these arrangements,” Brian growled.

“Oh Brian, knock it off,” Bobby countered. “After breakfast, I’ll go over the individualized lesson plans with the kids and then proctor them as they work on their assignments. After dinner, Lindsay will review their homework, assign the lessons for the next day and quiz the kids on what they’ve learned. Part of their overall assignment is to write a report on this trip. They each have a particular subject to write about. When they return to school, they’ll each present their reports to their classes. Don’t worry, we have bright kids, they won’t fall behind,” Bobby reassured Brian.

Brian nodded. Lindsay and Bobby indeed appeared to have it all worked out.

“What do you guys have planned for today?” Justin asked Gus and Ray. Justin was happily chowing down on a thick piece of bacon with his eggs.

“We’re going to go over to Baker Street to see the Sherlock Holmes museum,” Ray answered for them both.

“But we’ll be back to go to Westminster with you,” Gus added. The boys wanted to see some of the sights they thought would be too boring for the kids, on their own.

“Sounds like a plan,” Brian said and John agreed. “I need to do a little work. I wonder if Cook will allow me to hang out in the kitchen near the coffeepot?”

“Bri, why don’t you ask Hudson?” Justin mumbled around his own piece of toast and jam.

“Good idea,” Brian said as he got up from the table to tug on the bell pull. Within moments, Hudson appeared at the door.

“You rang,” Hudson said with a smirk on her face. Brian, John and Lindsay chuckled.

“I apologize, sir, I just couldn’t resist. You had a question?” Hudson said when they all stopped laughing.

“Yes, Hudson, do you think Cook would mind if I did a little work at her kitchen table near the coffeepot? Does she have a kitchen table? And is Cook a she?” Brian asked.

“I shall inquire and yes, we have a kitchen table and Cook is a he. But wouldn’t you be more comfortable in the study? I can prepare a tray for you.”

“I have no problem working near the source, no need to bring it to me,” Brian replied.

“Very well, sir, allow me to prepare Cook. He’s rather particular whom he allows in his kitchen.”

“Mmm, I love it when they play hard to get,” Brian drawled.

“Is there anything else, sir?”

“Yes, Hudson,” John quickly said before the efficient housekeeper disappeared. “Could you tell me where the nearest library is? I have some research to do.” John had finished his breakfast and thought since everyone was going to be busy for the next few hours, he could put the time to good use.

“Of course, sir. I can do that now, if you’d follow me.”

“If you just give me directions...” John began as Hudson turned. John shrugged his shoulders, gave Bobby a quick kiss as he ruffled Patrick’s hair then scurried off to follow Hudson before he lost her in the maze of the house.

As John went out the door of the dining room, he saw Hudson standing next to a set of double doors. Dramatically she threw open the doors to reveal an extensive library.

“Holy shi, uh, sugar,” John exclaimed as he peered into the library. He was reminded of Bree and her ‘do not touch’ feeling. “Are you sure the family won’t mind if I use their library?” John murmured as his eyes were drawn to a couple of huge volumes that were entitled, Houses of Great Britain.

“The library is at your disposal. You may also use this computer.” Hudson indicated the unit sitting on a small but rather ornate desk. Seeing John preparing to protest, Hudson reassured him that nothing personal was on the computer, it was used solely for internet access, writing and printing.

“Thank you, Hudson,” John said with a charming smile.

“Could I interest you in a tray of coffee?” Hudson asked mischievously.

“Yes, Hudson, that would be lovely,” John responded appropriately. As John carefully brought volume one to the desk, Hudson went off to perform her task.



*****



“Schmidt!” Brian growled into his speaker phone as his fingers were flying over his laptop keyboard.

“Here, Bri, and how is London?”

“Large,” Brian quipped as Cook, a large man nearly seven feet tall was preparing the ingredients for minced pies. He stood at his chopping block using a rather lethal looking meat cleaver.

“Yes, well, what can I do for you?”

“You can start by explaining what the fuck is going on with our insurance?” Brian glanced at Cook but he appeared nonplussed at Brian’s colorful use of language.

“You noticed that.”

“Of course I noticed. Now, Theodore, an explanation in my lifetime would be appreciated,” Brian growled. A refill cup of strong black coffee was subtly slid closer to Brian’s hand.

“I have no explanation, Brian; something is happening with our insurance broker. We’re looking into other carriers as we speak.”

“Do it fast, Ted. Edwards at Part Deux is going on maternity leave soon and Cullins at Perspectives has just been cleared for minor surgery. I don’t want our people to have any interruptions in their health care.”

“I’m on it, Boss.”

“You better be.”

“Yes, Boss, right away, Boss.”

“Knock it off, Ted.”

“Of course, Boss,” Ted said making Brian roll his eyes.

Ignoring the last ‘Boss’, Brian asked about the Lethal campaign.

“Right on target, Bri. Leda’s numbers have exceeded their projections. We’re preparing to roll out the Northeast phase on schedule,” Ted said proudly.

“Good work, Ted. Just what I wanted to hear. I’ll email Leda after you send me the stats.”

“Will do, Bri. Anything else, Boss?”

“Yeah, uh...”

“We’re all fine, Brian. I heard from Debbie and Carl; they’re at Disney World. I stopped by the bookstore, Joan and Danny are well. I went over their accounts, they had an excellent holiday season....” Brian settled back in his chair, casually sipping his excellent coffee as Ted’s familiar tone filled Brian in about home and the family.

After Brian concluded his business with Ted, he started to clean up. Cook gave Brian a pointed look.

“Sir, may I ask a question?” Cook ventured with an Irish lilt to his voice. Brian nodded. “What type of business would you be in, sir?”

“Advertising.”

“You're soundin' successful at it.”

“You could say that,” Brian said with a smirk that led Cook to believe that this temporary master of the house was very successful.

“Would you be lookin’ to expand yer business, sir?”

“I might be,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.

“Can I be gettin’ you another cup of coffee then, sir?” Brian smiled as he nodded.



*****



“Lindsay! Sidney didn’t exaggerate, you are just as beautiful in person as you sound on the phone,” a very distinguished gentleman exclaimed as Lindsay and Justin were met just inside the London National Gallery doors. He greeted her with a warm handshake.

“Charles, it’s so wonderful to finally put a face to a name,” Lindsay replied.

Charles smiled with a very handsome and charming smile. “Lindsay, this can’t possibly be Mr. Taylor. He’s much too young!”

“Charles Higgins, allow me to introduce Justin Taylor. Justin, Charles is the chairman of the procurement committee." Charles extended his hand to Justin who took it and gave it a firm shake.

“It sounds rather stuffy but let me assure you that I’ve been known to take hammer in hand and hang many a painting myself.”

“It’s an honor to meet you, sir.”

“The honor is all mine, Mr. Taylor.”

“Justin, please. Mr. Taylor is my father.”

“Justin, it is. I must ask, how does one so young paint with the maturity of one three times your age?”

“I’ve been inspired, sir.”

“Yes, you have. Allow me to escort you to your little corner of our gallery,” Charles said as he guided Lindsay and Justin to an elevator and up to a large gallery. “Here we are,” Charles said as the elevator doors opened.

“As you can see, Sidney and I have chosen a varied selection of your work including a copy of your Fractal movie, a sampling of your Seasons collections and many of your Old Masters. The board of directors insisted on your Old Masters. I think the familiarity of the pieces made our stuffy old board members happy,” Charles said leaning in as if revealing a deep dark secret.

“We also selected several of your portraits including...”

“Brian,” Justin said as one of Brian’s large nudes loomed in front of them. It was a portrait of Brian in all his naked glory in the loft shower. His head was thrown back, eyes hooded as if the water sluicing down his gorgeous body was his lover.

“This man is real?” Charles asked in astonishment.

“Very,” Lindsay supplied. “Brian Kinney is Justin’s life partner,” she added.

“Will he object to being in our exhibit?”

“No, he won’t, but I better tell him before the day of the opening,” Justin said as he continued to stare at Brian’s portrait. His reverie did not go unnoticed by Charles.

“Justin, is there some imperfection in the portrait? Everyone who has seen it has declared this man a god. The staff will be thrilled to learn that he is flesh and blood and not just pigment on canvas.”

“Forgive me for staring. And you’re right. When I first met Brian I truly thought I had seen the face of a god. I’ve drawn or painted some part of him practically every day since we met.”

“Your painting is stunning.”

“No, Brian is stunning, I merely paint him. He is my life.”

“Your passion for the subject shows in your work, Justin. As it does with all the pieces we have selected. Justin, I foresee a long association between you and the London National Gallery,” Charles said as he extended his hand again to Justin.

Justin smiled brilliantly and was about to shake the proffered hand when a handsome young man sprinted into the room.

“Father! Oh, I’m sorry, I appear to be interrupting.”

“Henry, my boy, please allow me to introduce you to our latest artist in residence. Justin Taylor, my son Henry Higgins.”

“A pleasure to meet you,” Henry said with a wide smile as he extended his hand to Justin.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

London Calling

Chapter 14





“Hey, Pop, we’re back,” Gus said as he and Ray came in from their excursion to Baker Street. “What’s cookin’?”

“I’m planning a little sightseeing,” Brian said.

“Can me and Ray come? Westminster Abbey, right?”

“You and Ray want to accompany us old guys?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“Yeah,” Gus replied.

“Yeah,” Ray added. “You’re cool, Mr. Kinney.”

Brian snorted. “That is a well known fact, my boy.”

Ray laughed in response. “We went by ourselves to see Baker Street because I really wanted to see where Sherlock Holmes worked his mystery magic,” Ray explained. “I didn’t think you guys would be interested.”

“You do realize that Sherlock Holmes is a fictional character?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yeah, I know,” Ray said sheepishly. “But he’s cool.”

“Like me,” Brian stated. Ray nodded and Brian smiled.

“But that doesn’t mean we want to do everything else by ourselves,” Gus chimed in. “So what have you planned for today, Pop?”

“Lindsay and Justin are at the gallery, so I thought I’d take the kids to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.”

“That sounds good,” Gus said looking at Ray for confirmation. Ray nodded.

“I thought we’d go to the oldest pub in London for lunch and then to Westminster Abbey. We can drive by the Parliament Buildings and see Big Ben. Maybe go up in the London Eye if we feel like it.”

“I’m in,” Gus said enthusiastically.

“Sounds great,” Ray agreed.

Sometime later they were assembled along the parade route that the Queen’s Guard would take to arrive at Buckingham Palace. Bree was perched on her father’s shoulders, while Patrick stood beside his father deciding he was too old and too tall for that. They had been able to drag John away from his library to come with them all. Gus, Ray and Bobby were also there. They had managed to fit themselves into one car.

“Dada, what am I going to see?” Bree asked from her perch.

“There’s going to be a band and horses and soldiers.”

“Horses?” Bree asked.

“Yes, horses,” Brian said with a smile at the wistful tone in Bree’s voice.

“I miss riding the horses.” There hadn’t been much time for the children to go riding at the Farm during the fall.

“I think you’ll like the parade,” Brian said. “Oh! I hear music.”

Bree perked up and looked down the road to see the first of the horse guard come into view. With rousing music and lots of color the procession made its way to the front of Buckingham Palace.


“That’s where the Queen of England lives,” Gus said to Bree after he had taken more than his share of pictures of the parade.

“Who’s she?” Bree asked.

“She’s the head of England and a very gracious lady,” John informed his niece.

“Oh,” Bree said thoughtfully. “That’s a big house,” she said pointing.

“It’s called a palace,” Brian said.

“Why?”

“It just is.”

“Oh.”

“Shall we be off to lunch?” Brian asked looking at his watch.

They all enjoyed their lunch in the basement of the oldest pub in London. The walls were very thick and the décor left something to be desired. Brian, John and Gus all had to remember to duck their heads when passing through doorways. The food was passable and the ale very good.

During lunch Bree wanted to know something. “Dada, why does the Queen have all those guards?”

“It’s a ceremony, Squirt. She doesn’t really need all those guards.”

“What’s a ceremony?” Brian sighed. How did he explain this?

“Did you see all the funny clothes the guards had on?” Patrick asked his cousin.

“Yes,” Bree said with a giggle. “They looked kind of silly.”

“They’re historical, right, Dad?” Patrick asked his father. John nodded approvingly. “The parade and the guards are like out of history. They’re putting on a show for the tourists. Us!” Patrick added with a little laugh.

“Thank you, Patrick,” Brian said sincerely. “I’m not sure I could have explained it that well.”

“You’re welcome,” Patrick grinned. “Understand, Bree?”

Bree nodded and looked adoringly at her very smart cousin.

“Off to Westminster Abbey,” Brian said as he handed their waiter his credit card to pay for lunch.


They all stood and admired the façade of the great church when they arrived. Gus took pictures of the building and of them standing in front of it. He also got another tourist to take a shot that he could be in. He made sure he was close to Ray when that happened.

They went inside and Bobby wanted to go to Poet’s Corner first. They all trailed along behind him. Chaucer’s tomb was the center of this area of the Abbey. Other literary icons had been interred nearby. The group spent quite a while finding the markers for poets like Browning and Tennyson, for authors like Dickens, Thomas Hardy and Samuel Johnson. Brian spotted the burial site of Sir Laurence Olivier and paused for a moment in front of it. Being an aficionado of old movies, he was well aware of Olivier’s stature among thespians.




“Dada,” Bree said pulling on Brian’s hand. “Do we have to look at dead people all day?”

Brian chuckled. Trust Bree to put things in perspective. “No, Squirt. Let’s look at the main part of the church.”

He took Bree’s hand and led her out into the nave. The sheer height of the building with its arches and radiating chapels took all their breaths away.

“We have nothing like this at home,” John said reverently.

“It was started so long ago in a different era,” Brian replied.

“Before America even existed as we know of it,” Bobby added.

“The architects were really something, being able to make the ceiling so high without it falling down,” Gus said staring up at the high pillars.

“A lot of the early churches did fall down,” John explained. “The architects were trying to reach God with the height of their spires and roofs. The higher they went, the more likely the structure was to fall down. These pillars are massive because of the weight of the walls and roof.”

“What happened if they fell down?” Ray asked.

“They started over, modifying their plans,” John said. “Sometimes the whole thing was abandoned because of the expense, but usually they were built in some form, modified to take more weight. They invented things like flying buttresses to take some of the stress off the walls.”

“Wow,” Gus said. “You know a lot about architecture, Uncle John.”

“It is my business,” John said with a smile.

Brian squeezed his arm affectionately. It was just this kind of education he had been hoping they’d all get by coming on this trip.

“Do you like the church?” Patrick asked Bree.

Bree nodded her head. “I wish there was singing,” she said, remembering how much she liked the music in the churches at Christmastime.

“Maybe we could go to a concert in a church,” Bobby suggested. “I think they have concerts at St. Martin’s in the Field. The acoustics there are supposed to be amazing.”

“Let’s look into that,” Brian said.

“Are we done here?” John asked. “I could spend all day, but I’m sure the rest of you wouldn’t like that.”

“I want to see where Sir Isaac Newton is buried. Remember that scene from the DaVinci Code?” Bobby asked.

They all agreed and made their way to the area dedicated to the famous scientist.

“Who’s Sir Isaac Newton?” Bree asked.

“An apple fell on his head and he invented gravity,” Patrick said.

They all chuckled.

“He didn’t invent gravity,” John said softly to his son. “He just explained it.”

“Oh?” Patrick replied.

“What’s gravity?” Bree asked.

“I think we should let Auntie Lindsay explain that during one of your lessons,” Brian replied with a wink at his brother. John merely shook his head as he chuckled to himself.

After leaving the Abbey, they drove through London and past the Houses of Parliament. They did take a ride on the London Eye, the huge Ferris wheel that had been erected for the millennium. It gave spectacular panoramic views of the city.


By the time they returned home, they all felt they had seen some great sights and had begun to get an idea of the layout of the city and a taste of the myriad of things available to do in London.

“Pop, me and Ray could use a nap,” Gus said with a gleam in his eyes. The family had returned to the townhouse pleasantly exhausted from their adventures. Truth be told, the children were tired. Bree and Patrick hadn’t totally adjusted to the change of time zones. Bree had fallen asleep on the ride home and Patrick’s eyes were drooping.

“Brian, I think we can all use a nap,” Bobby said reasonably and John agreed.

“You go ahead, I have an errand to run and then I’ll go over to the gallery to pick up Justin and Lindsay,” Brian said as he gently transferred Bree into John’s arms.

“And what kind of errand are you running? Who do you know in London?” John asked as he arched his own Kinney brow.

“I’ll explain later. I’m just going to take a quick shower then go. We’ll be back in time for dinner,” Brian reassured his brother.

Brian went to his room. Just before jumping in the shower in the ensuite bathroom, he lifted the private phone to dial Hudson.

“How may I help you, sir?” the housekeeper asked.

“I’m going out for a while. Could you have the car brought around in about fifteen minutes?”

“Very good, sir,” Hudson replied without question then hung up.

Brian stared at the phone for a brief moment. “I wonder if Hudson has a sister I can lure back to the States,” Brian mumbled with a smirk.



*****



“You remember me, don’t you?” Henry asked Justin.

Lindsay and Charles were discussing the details for the opening in Charles’ office for most of the afternoon, while Justin was fine tuning his corner of the gallery. His corner turned out to be half of the second floor. Sidney and Charles had deliberately chosen many of Justin’s largest pieces so they needed a lot of room to be properly displayed. The Fractal Movie was going to be shown in its own “amphitheater” fashioned by Justin’s Seasons paintings surrounding several rows of benches under a skylight. Justin was subtly rearranging some of the groupings when Henry came into the gallery. Justin was just about done for the day. Lindsay and Justin would be back in the morning to finalize the opening event.

“Yes,” Justin said curtly, his eyes downcast.

“I never thought I’d see you again.”

“Me either.”

“I wish we could have met under different circumstances,” Henry said hopefully.

“Henry, what I did back then … my behavior was inexcusable.”

“Are you denying that you were attracted to me?”

“No, I’m not. I was very vulnerable during that time and I enjoyed your attention but it was very wrong of me.”

“So can I assume you’re still with your ‘wife’?”

“Yes, you can,” Brian’s voice boomed across the quiet gallery. Brian was dressed in a cashmere sweater, designer jeans that accentuated his long legs and an Armani sports coat. He was one hunk of walking talking sexy man.

“Brian, you’re here!” Justin exclaimed with astonishment and a touch of relief.

“And not a moment too soon,” Brian murmured to himself. “Aren’t you going to introduce me to your little friend, Justin?” Brian snarked with an edge of anger in his tone.

“Brian, this is Henry Higgins. Henry, this is Brian Kinney, my life partner.” The two men grudgingly shook hands. “Henry is the son of Charles Higgins, the chairman of the procurement committee. It’s Charles who is responsible for my exhibit here.”

“I’ll be sure to thank him,” Brian snarked, as his glare was burning a hole through Henry’s head and other body parts.

“Do you work with your father?” Justin asked hoping to distract Brian from killing Henry. Justin hadn’t had the chance to speak with Henry since his startling appearance that morning.

“Yes, although I haven’t always. For many years I didn’t think that procuring art was very exciting. I was intent on making my own way in the world. In New York,” Henry added. “Then after a visit home with my parents and enjoying many an artistic debate with my father, I soon discovered that I missed London, so I stayed. However, I do a lot of traveling around Europe for the gallery, procuring interesting pieces to be shown.”

“When’s your next trip?” Brian sneered.

“I’m here until after the opening,” Henry replied. Brian snorted.

“Um, Bri, can I show you around?” Justin asked as he looked up into Brian’s face and batted his blond lashes. Brian nodded. Justin took Brian’s hand to guide him around.

“This is quite a spread, Sunshine,” Brian remarked as they slowly strolled past the Old Masters collection.

“You’re not angry, are you?” Justin had to ask.

“No, but don’t ask me to be nice to him.”

“All I ask is that you don’t kill him. I don’t think the head of the procurement committee would appreciate it.”

“I’ll restrain myself,” Brian said then grabbed Justin’s hand to draw him in closer for a kiss. They hid behind Justin’s rendition of Monet’s “Water-Lilies”. “Justin, for a long time I told you there were no locks on our door. There was nothing to bind you to me other than your desire to stay.”

“Brian, we’ve exchanged vows. We wear rings and I’ve never taken off the bracelet you gave me. And I know that you rarely take off the necklace I gave you.”

“Those are just things.”

“They’re symbols of what we mean to each other. Look, Bri.” Justin pointed to the edge of a nearby canvas where his signature was visible. “See, the cowry shell with the sun. That symbol is on every painting, every drawing I’ve done since I gave you your necklace. I am bound to you.”

Brian hugged the smaller man close. Justin could hear the beating of Brian’s heart.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin whispered and he felt Brian’s arms tighten around him in response. They stood there for a moment then Justin continued to show his husband around.

“So what do you think?” Lindsay asked as she came into the gallery. She was surprised to see Brian.

“I think I’m hot,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Is it warm in here?” She felt comfortable herself.

“No. Hot,” Brian repeated as he cocked his head toward his portrait.

“Oh, you,” Lindsay giggled. “What are you doing here?”

“I had a meeting nearby and thought I’d pick you guys up. Hudson is very clear regarding dinner time. Are you finished for the day?”

“Yes, just let me get my purse. I’d like to introduce you to Charles Higgins.”

“By all means. It would be an honor to meet the man responsible for all of this,” Brian said as his eyes narrowed onto Henry. Justin wisely said nothing. A little posturing and marking of territory on Brian’s part was all right with Justin. He knew Brian wouldn’t let it go too far.

“Brian, I know we didn’t ask you, but are you all right with your portraits on display? We’ll understand if you don’t want them in the show,” Lindsay said sincerely. She, Sidney and Charles had a back-up contingency plan.

“Half the United States has seen my naked assets. It was only a matter of time until Europe would see them as well,” Brian dramatically sighed.

“Then you’re all right with this?”

“It’s fine, Lindz. As a matter of fact, I suggested those three paintings to our little Sunshine,” Brian said sounding very pleased with himself.

“I bet you did. Come on, let’s not keep Charles waiting,” Lindsay said. Brian and Justin followed Lindsay out of the gallery and up a staircase toward the gallery offices.

“Charles, do you have a minute? I’d like to introduce you to my life partner,” Justin said as they walked into the spacious office. Charles stood up from his chair and walked out from behind his desk.

“I agree with your assessment regarding your favorite portrait subject, Justin,” Charles commented as he extended his hand to Brian. “Mr. Kinney, I’m Charles Higgins. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“You’ve seen a lot of me too, and it’s Brian,” Brian quipped as he firmly shook Charles’ hand.

“My staff will be stumbling all over themselves to meet you,” Charles added.

“Then perhaps we should wait a while before you introduce me. I wouldn’t want to be the cause of unnecessary medical bills. Not this close to the opening.”

“A very wise decision,” Charles said as he chuckled then he addressed Lindsay and Justin. “We were very productive today but it’s time to call it a day. I’ll see you two here tomorrow?”

“Of course,” Lindsay said as she retrieved her purse from a nearby table.

“We’ll be here!” Justin said enthusiastically as he got his ever present messenger bag.

“Then I’ll walk you out,” Charles said gallantly, leading the trio out and down to the front doors of the gallery.

“It was very nice to meet Justin’s...”

Brian was ready to cringe at the word muse.

“...inspiration. Until we meet again,” Charles said as he bid them all a good evening. Brian smiled while he ushered Justin and Lindsay to their waiting car.

“Brian, what meeting?” Justin asked as their driver was winding his way through the London streets.

“Later, after dinner. I have a few phone calls to make before it gets too late in the Pitts. Then I’ll explain everything.”

“Okay,” Justin said as he placed his hand in Brian’s.

They had just about an hour before dinner. The kids were amusing themselves with some television. Justin was regaling Bobby on his day. John was holed up in the library as Lindsay took the time to kick off her heels and put her feet up. Brian was in the kitchen having a cup of coffee.

“Ted, what do you think?”

“I think you’ve been in London for less than forty-eight hours and already you’re trying to take over.”

“Your point?”

“None other than just the observation.”

“But is it feasible?”

“Yes, the numbers look good.”

“What does Cynthia say?”

“She likes it. She said she and Matthew have never been to England and she’s looking forward to it.”

“Schmidt!”

“Seriously, Brian, she’s all for it.”

“What about the other branches?”

“Stacey’s over the moon. Scott is salivating and Joseph wants to know when he can take his wife on a long overdue vacation and write it off as a business expense.”

“Does all this bullshit you’re spewing mean I should close the deal?”

“That’s exactly what it means.”

“Then why didn’t you fucking say so?”

“Because I enjoy torturing you when you’re almost four thousand miles away and can’t immediately take revenge,” Ted said smugly.

“I can still fire your ass.”

“Yes you can, but we both know that you won’t. Have a good night, Brian. I’m leaving the office soon and Allen is here making goo-goo eyes at me.”

“TMI, Ted.” Brian snapped his phone shut as he shuddered as the thought of Ted having sex.

“Will ya be having a refill then, sir?” Cook asked as he waved the coffeepot in Brian’s general direction. Brian smiled as he raised his cup which was quickly topped off by the large smiling Irishman.

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 15





The family assembled for dinner promptly at seven, as Hudson had indicated. Brian seemed even quieter than usual. Justin kept giving sideways glances at his husband. Finally Lindsay decided there needed to be more conversation.

“So how was the sightseeing tour today?” she asked. “I wish I could have gone with you.”

“Me too,” Justin said looking at Brian while he said that.

“We had lunch in the oldest pub in London,” Gus reported.

“Is that the best thing you did?” Justin asked with a chuckle. “Usually culinary places are my line of expertise.”

“It was a cool place, down in a cellar, not a basement, but a cellar,” Ray said using the word their waitress had used when telling them about the old building.

“Did you have warm beer?” Justin asked.

“Warm ale,” Bobby said with a laugh.

“Guinness,” John piped up.

“I had ginger ale,” Bree said. “It made me burp.”

“That’s good, sweetheart,” Justin said. “Did you like it?”

“Yep,” Bree replied bobbing her head. “Can we go there again?”

“I don’t know, Bree,” Gus said. “I’m sure there’s a million other places to eat in London. We’ll have to try some of them, right, Pop?”

“Yeah,” Brian said and left it at that.

Justin glanced at Brian once again. He knew it had to be the appearance of Henry Higgins that was upsetting Brian. He wasn’t sure what he could do about it. “So, what else did you do today?” he asked looking around at the people seated at the dinner table.

“We went to Westminster Abbey and saw Poet’s Corner. I’ve always wanted to visit that,” Bobby said. “Chaucer and Tennyson and Browning…”

“A whole bunch of dead guys,” Bree supplied.

“Yeah, dead guys,” Patrick agreed.

Everyone looked at the children and chuckled. They had not been impressed, so it seemed.

“How come there aren’t any dead girls there?” Bree asked as if the thought had just struck her.

“That’s a good question, Bree,” Justin said.

“Maybe Auntie Lindsay can answer that one too,” Brian supplied rather sarcastically, as he pushed his food around his plate.

“Brian…” Justin said but he didn’t know how to continue without getting into what was bothering Brian, and he didn’t feel the dinner table was the place for that discussion.

“And what else is Auntie Lindsay supposed to explain?” Lindsay asked with a frown. It sounded like they were leaving all the tough questions for her to deal with.

“About gravity,” Patrick chimed in.

“Yeah, we saw Sir Isaac New-tone,” Bree added.

“It’s Newton,” John corrected with a laugh, “and we saw his tomb, not the man himself.”

“He invented gravity,” Bree said solemnly remembering what she had heard at the Abbey.

“And Uncle Bri said you’d explain all about gravity to us,” Patrick said looking at Lindsay.

“Did he now?” Lindsay glared at Brian who didn’t even bother to look up.

“Maybe you can study it together,” John suggested. “There are a lot of really interesting books in the library here.”

“There’s a library?” Lindsay asked.

“Yes,” John replied. “However, I don’t know how many would be useful for the children. I’m sure there’s some scientific books though.”

“Maybe we need to find the nearest public library,” Lindsay said.

“I’m sure Hudson can help you with that,” Justin offered.

“I’ll talk to Hudson later. Speaking of which, I think we seem to be finished with dinner. Perhaps the children and I should go up to the nursery and start looking at how we can do our studies.” Lindsay stressed the word “our”. She did not appreciate Brian offering her services to teach science. She was an art teacher after all. Science was something she had never had much interest in.

Everyone else got up and started leaving the room as well. John looked at Justin who merely shrugged. With a frown of worry John left the dining room, quietly closing the door behind him. He thought maybe Brian and Justin needed some time together alone.

“Brian,” Justin said as the door closed.

“Don’t.”

“Don’t what? Don’t talk to you. Don’t worry. Don’t care about how you’re feeling? Tell me what’s going on.”

“Nothing’s going on,” Brian said looking up at Justin at last. “Can’t I feel like shit if I want to?”

“If you had any reason to feel like shit, then you’d be welcome to your feelings. But I feel responsible for this mood, and I’m telling you that it is totally unfounded.”

“Just because nothing has happened between you and Henry Higgins doesn’t mean that I have to be all happy and upbeat because that fucker is back on the scene.”

“I told you at the gallery that I was bound to you. I’m where I want to be. Henry Higgins is no threat.”

“But there’s still an attraction there, isn’t there?”

“I have to admit that there is, but nothing will happen. I guarantee it.”

“How can you guarantee something like that?” Brian asked looking into Justin’s eyes.

“Because I’m older and wiser and stronger and more secure in my relationship with you. It’s you I love, Brian. You, and no one else.”

“Is that right?’

“One hundred percent.”

“Not a hundred and ten percent like they often say?” Brian asked with just a twinkle of humor in his voice.

Justin breathed a sigh of relief when he heard that. Maybe Brian was starting to come around. “They are full of shit. One hundred percent is all of something, so how you can do a hundred and ten percent is impossible. You have all my love, one hundred percent of it.”

“I like the sound of that.”

“Me too,” Justin replied sliding onto Brian’s lap where he still sat at the dining room table. “I love you.”

The kiss was soft and warm, becoming hot and burning and then tempestuous. Justin wondered if Brian might rip his clothes off and fuck him right there on the big table.

Finally Brian released his lips, and Justin let out a sigh of frustration. His cock was so hard it hurt.

“I want you,” Justin whispered.

“Shall we have an early evening?” Brian whispered in Justin’s ear taking a little nibble on the lobe while he was there.

“I think we shall. That’s a one hundred percent excellent idea,” Justin said with a little chuckle.

“We only have good ideas.”

“Got that right, Mr. Kinney.”

“Let’s go make sure Bree is looked after, and that Gus and Ray aren’t planning anything too dangerous for the rest of the night, and then we can share that wonderful bed we have upstairs.”

“You are the consummate planner, Mr. Kinney.”

“But of course, Mr. Taylor,” Brian agreed kissing Justin once more and then pushing him off his knee.

Justin wove his fingers into Brian’s and they exited the room to take care of all the things they had just discussed, especially the bed in their room upstairs.

Hudson came in as they closed the door after themselves. She smiled warmly at the love she had briefly witnessed just moments before. She signaled for the maid to start clearing the dinner dishes.



*****



“Brian, do you feel up to telling me what you were doing today?” Justin whispered quietly as he tugged on Brian’s rapidly filling cock.

“I’m always up, Sunshine,” Brian automatically responded then arched up as Justin licked around the crown then through the slit.

“Did you have a business meeting?” Justin mumbled as he sucked hard.

“Not polite to talk with your mouth full,” Brian moaned.

“Tell me,” Justin demanded as he teased Brian’s hole with his tongue.

“Bossy bottom,” Brian griped then did as Justin commanded. “Yesterday, when I was in the kitchen, Cook overheard me on the phone with Ted. He asked what I did for a living so I told him. Oh, yesss,” Brian hissed, interrupting his story as Justin slipped a spit slick finger into him.

“Want more?”

“Yeah.”

“Finish your story,” Justin said as he finger fucked his lover.

“Cook is from Ireland; he has a cousin who’s been marginally successful in advertising, but it’s been a struggle. He’s been on the verge of folding for a year now.”

“What does that have to do with you? Did he want your advice?” Justin laved a ball with his hot tongue.

“Mmmm, yeah. I mean no, not my advice as such. We’re going to merge.”

“What?” Justin dropped the ball he was sucking on as his head popped up from between Brian’s legs.

“I discussed it with Ted and Cynthia and had a joint meeting with Scott, Joseph and Stacey, we all agreed there was no reason not to merge.”

“But who’s going to run it? Brian, I don’t want to stay here any longer than we have to,” Justin said with some distress. Brian could hear the tremor in Justin’s voice.

“Come up here,” Brian whispered as he held out his arms. Justin crawled up Brian’s long body to be gathered in the strong arms and held tight against Brian’s chest.

“I have no intention of prolonging our stay. This will be a simple transfer of Kinnetik assets into a floundering business. And a few employees with ties to the old sod are planning to fly over here to lend Shane McKenna a helping hand, so to speak.”

“Shane McKenna?”

“Cook’s cousin and proprietor of McKenna Advertising.”

“McKenna Advertising, not a very original name, is it?”

“Maybe someone I know who’s very smart and creative when it comes to naming my businesses, will think of something.”

“Kinney and McKenna?” Justin suggested as he kissed a nipple.

“Too many K’s.”

“Kinnetik, UK?” Justin said as his gently bit the nipple then licked away the sting.

“Has possibilities,” Brian moaned. Justin leaned up to look into Brian’s eyes. They were a deep emerald green on their way to turning black with lust.

“Your eyes, I love your eyes. Their color changes to reflect your moods. They’re the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen,” Justin whispered as he kissed Brian’s eyelids. “Kinnetik Isles.”

“Hmm?”

“Kinnetik Isles like the Emerald Isle or Irish eyes. Like you, beautiful. Want you,” Justin murmured as he kissed Brian deeply then crawled down Brian’s body to resume his ministrations. After a while, Brian spread his long legs, a silent indication that he wanted Justin to make love to him. Not needing a second invitation, Justin grabbed a tube of lube to prepare himself then swiftly entered Brian.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin murmured as he thrust deeply into his lover.

“Tha gaol agam ort-fhIIin,” Brian replied with his last remaining functioning brain cells then surrendered himself to his lover.



*****



The following day everyone slept in a little bit, but not Bree.

By six o’clock in the morning she was wide awake. She sat up in her bed and looked around the room. Patrick was still sleeping, but maybe he would be ready to get up. She threw back her covers, grabbed her grey bunny and slipped on her fluffy slippers. She walked over to Patrick’s bed.

“Patwick,” she said in her baby voice. There was no response. “Patwick,” she said again a little louder. Patrick did not move, no eye fluttered, no sign of awakening. Her fathers had told Bree many times not to wake sleeping people, unless it was an emergency. She thought for a minute and decided that this didn’t qualify as an emergency. She really wanted Patrick to get up though, but she finally decided that maybe she better follow the rule about not waking people up.

With a sigh Bree headed to the door of the nursery. She’d go see who else might be up. She opened the door carefully and looked out into the hall. All the doors were closed and no one seemed to be around.

She walked down the hall to the room she knew her fathers occupied. She tapped softly on the door. There was no reply. She reached for the knob and turned it. It was locked. With a glare at the door, one worthy of her father, Bree continued down the hall. She stopped at her Auntie Lindsay’s door. She was about to knock when she decided maybe that wouldn’t be such a good idea. Auntie Lindsay might decide it was time for school if she was up so early. Bree wanted to play.

She went on to her uncles’ room and thought maybe she should not disturb them either. No noise came from inside except some soft snoring.

Next was Gus and Ray’s room. Maybe they’d like to play. She tapped on the door. Again nobody answered. She gently turned the knob and opened the door. Gus and Ray were sound asleep in each other’s arms. Bree studied them for a moment and then closed the door. Nobody wanted to play with her.

She went to the stairs and started down. Maybe she could find some toast or something downstairs. She was hungry and nobody wanted to play. Maybe she could find someone to play with down there, or something to eat. She was on the second step from the bottom when a stern voice halted her in her tracks.

“And what are you doing, little missy?” Hudson demanded.



*****



When they all started arriving downstairs for breakfast, they found Bree sitting at the big dining table eating a bowl of porridge.

Brian had been worried when he discovered that Bree was not in her bed, but Justin had said she would be somewhere in the house. Hudson would never let anything happen to the little girl. “What time did you get up?” he asked Bree.

“Long time ago, Dada,” she informed him.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” Patrick asked.

“I tried, but your eyes wouldn’t open.”

Justin smiled at his daughter before leaning over and kissing her cheek. “Thank you for not waking people up, Bree. We needed our sleep.”

Bree looked smug, not unlike her other father who was often known to sport that expression. “I know, Daddy. I membered what you told me.”

“Good girl.”

“How’s your porridge?” John asked.

“Good,” Bree replied. “Hudson made it with raisins and brown sugar. I like it a lot.”

Hudson came in from the kitchen at that moment.

“I see you’ve had company this morning,” Brian said to her.

“Yes, a very well mannered and cooperative little girl came down the stairs to join me. She may come down early for breakfast any day that she likes,” Hudson replied with an affectionate smile at Bree. It seemed that Bree had earned Hudson’s seal of approval. “We had a lovely chat.”

“You did?”

“Yes, Bree told me all about her grey bunny and her Gamma Joan who gave it to her. It sounds like you have a lovely family.”

Bree beamed at the complimentary words. Her fathers were also very pleased, as everyone sat down to breakfast. Many of them decided to try the porridge fixed just the way Bree had hers.



*****



Some time later Justin and Lindsay went off to the gallery for a few hours. The others decided to look through some brochures about possible sightseeing trips they might take in and outside of London. Brian went on line to see what plays were currently on stage. He thought that might be a nice evening out for them all.

Just after lunch Lindsay and the children assembled in the nursery/schoolroom for their first lesson. Lindsay had gone to the gallery in the morning, and then had rushed to the library that Hudson had told her about. At lunchtime she had returned to the townhouse laden with books and ready to teach.

“Auntie Lindsay, are you going to teach us about gravity?” Bree asked.

“I thought I might,” Lindsay replied picking up a book she had found with the help of the librarian. “Isaac Newton came up with the theory of gravity when he was supposedly hit on the head by a falling apple.”

“A apple?” Bree asked with a frown.

“Where did the apple come from?” Patrick asked.

“Isaac was sitting under a tree and the apple fell on his head.”

“It must have been ripe,” Patrick contributed.

“I think that would be the case,” Lindsay said with a laugh. “Why do you suppose the apple didn’t go upwards when it came loose from the tree? Why didn’t it drift off into space?” Lindsay asked the children.

“Cause things don’t fall up, Auntie Lindsay,” Bree stated. “They fall down.”

“Exactly, and it’s gravity that makes them fall down.”

“Oh,” both children said.

“Where does gravity come from?” Patrick asked.

“Have you studied about the Earth spinning on its axis?” Both children nodded.

“That’s why we have daylight and dark,” Bree said.

“You’re a very smart little girl,” Lindsay told her.

“I know.”

“When the Earth turns, it also produces gravity. That’s what keeps us in our place on the Earth’s surface.”

“Cool,” Patrick said.

“Can we paint now?” Bree asked. Lindsay laughed. It seemed like the science lesson was over for the day. “I think that would be a lovely idea,” she replied as they moved over to the easels that were set up on a tarp at one side of the room.

Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

London Calling

Chapter 16





“Dada where are we going today?” Bree asked her father. The whole family was at the table enjoying another one of Cook’s filling breakfasts. It was Saturday; Justin and Lindsay weren’t required at the gallery for the weekend.

“Well, Squirt, I thought we’d all enjoy going to Bath and Stonehenge for the day,” Brian answered as he nibbled on his toast.

“But I already took a bath, Dada!” Bree grumbled as she was eating her bowl of porridge. The adults chuckled softly.

“Baby girl, Bath is a place,” Bree’s other father explained.

“It is?”

“Yes, a very old place,” John added. “The ancient Romans went there because they thought the water had healing powers and then as time passed the English nobles went there too for the water.”

“Oh. But do we have to spend the whole day looking at a bathtub?”

“No, princess, we’re going to Salisbury first then Stonehenge where your Daddy got his idea to make his henge,” Bobby said.

“Salisbury? Can we have lunch there?”

“Lunch?” Brian asked. They weren’t even through breakfast.

“Yes, Salisbury steaks!”

“I don’t think they have Salisbury steak there but I’m sure we can find something you’ll like, Bree,” Raymond assured the little girl whom he thought of almost as his own sister.

“Okay,” Bree said, smiling around her toast and jam.



*****



“Are we all ready?” Brian asked as he scanned the faces of his family getting nods and smiles in reply.

Gus and Ray were the official photographers for the family, each with their cameras and plenty of batteries and memory cards in their messenger bags. Justin had his own ever present messenger bag packed with sketch pads and pencils, as did Lindsay. Justin was encouraging Lindsay to ease her way back into creating art rather than just procuring and displaying it as she did for the Bloom gallery.

John had his own camera, hoping to take pictures of the English countryside with all its diverse architecture. He was also keeping a folder of pamphlets and other materials he was accumulating regarding the ancient buildings they were visiting. Bobby was hoping to take a tour of London to see Parliament but he was thrilled to be spending this time with his spouse and son touring the countryside.

“Then let’s get this show on the road!” Brian declared as he shepherded his family out of their temporary home and to the waiting cars.

A couple of hours later the drivers Stuart and Nathan had successfully navigated out of London to the village of Salisbury where the main feature, the cathedral stood in all of its majesty. The family got out of the cars to assemble on the green before entering the cathedral.






“Big, Dada!” Bree exclaimed as the large structure loomed in from of her. “Can we go in?”

“I think so but we should be quiet just in case there’s a mass going on,” John said as he pulled out his travel book with facts about England. “The oldest clock in Europe is inside,” John read to the family.

Brian and Justin extended out their hands to Bree who happily took them as she walked between her fathers toward the cathedral, while John read facts from his book out loud. Gus and Ray began to chronicle the day in pictures.



“That’s a big clock, Poppa!” Patrick said, stating the obvious.  

The glass enclosed mechanism didn’t look much like a clock but apparently it was. And it held little interest for Bree. She was much more interested in the stained glass windows and the patterns they made on the floor when the sun shone through them. As the family slowly walked around, they noticed the tombs imbedded in the floor.

“More dead people,” Bree grumbled, deciding that visiting old churches in England wasn’t that much fun. She liked her Gamma Joan’s church where there was singing and no risk of stepping on graves.

“Hey, Squirt, why don’t you, me and Uncle Bobby explore the village? Your daddy and Auntie Lindsay want to sketch. Uncle John and Patrick seemed to be fascinated by the cathedral spire and the boys are...”

“Just being boys, Dada?” Bree said with a smirk.

“Yeah,” Brian replied with a similar smirk. “Let’s see what the shops have to offer,” Brian suggested. He, Bree and Bobby slowly strolled through the cobbled stone streets of the village for some window shopping.



*****



“What’s the matter?” Justin asked as he sat next to Lindsay on a pew. She was looking very frustrated at her sketch pad.

“I’ve been trying to sketch that window but it’s not right,” Lindsay said sadly as she compared her drawing to one of the large stained glass windows.

“I think it looks fine,” Justin said sincerely. “But can I make a suggestion?” he asked as he studied Lindsay’s sketch then gazed up at the window.

“Sure,” Lindsay said expecting the worst.

“Instead of drawing the whole window, why don’t you just sketch a small portion of it?”

“But shouldn’t the subject of what you’re drawing be complete?” she asked a bit confused by Justin’s suggestion.

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why must it be the whole thing?”

“So you can remember it,” Lindsay said logically.

“If I wanted a picture to remember, I’d take one. As it is, Gus must have taken dozens of each window. How does the window make you feel?”

“Feel?”

“Yes, Lindz. Look at the panel with the angel. See the colors of the wings. Look at the floor, see how the patterns of light recreate the picture on the floor. It’s January and the sun isn’t that strong but hold your hand out. Can you feel the difference in the air temperature in the sunlight?”

Lindsay held out her hand. Gold, red and blues reflected warmly off her skin. She looked up again at the angel.

“Just feel and then draw maybe the angel’s foot or his face. Don’t worry about the whole piece, that’s what cameras are for.” Justin smiled softly at the unsure woman.

“I’ll try.”

Justin nodded then got up to give Lindsay some privacy. He walked over to where John and Patrick were standing, studying the altar area and the high vaulted ceilings.

“It’s beautiful; I could spend the whole day here,” John whispered reverently. Patrick wasn’t sure he wanted to spend the whole day in a church but he did like the ornately carved pews, the stone columns and the altar.

After a while Lindsay rejoined the boys to show Justin her sketch. She concentrated on the upper portion of the angel’s face and the halo. Justin smiled brightly.

“It’s beautiful, Lindsay!” John said. Justin and Patrick agreed.

“You really think so?”

“Yes, I think you’ve made a great start on your way back to your own creativity.”

“Thank you,” Lindsay said blushing then carefully closed her book to put it in her bag. “Maybe we should find the rest of the family.” The boys agreed and they all left to find Brian, Bobby and Bree.



*****



“That was very tasty,” John said as he pushed his dish away from him.

“English hot pot, real pub fare,” Bobby added. “I almost feel like I should be serving it.”

“It’s been a long time since you had to serve in a bar, Red,” Brian reminded him.

Bobby looked around the old pub where they were having lunch. It reminded him in some weird way of the Honey Bear where he used to be a server while he was putting himself through school.

“Missing all the butt pinches you used to get?” Justin asked with a grin.

“Not one bit!” Bobby reacted. “The tips weren’t bad though.”

“But they’re better at home?” John asked.

“One hundred percent. No going back for me.”

John smiled. “That’s what I like to hear.”

“You know we have a great life together, and a great son,” Bobby continued. Patrick beamed. “And an okay brother-in-law.”

“Don’t get too carried away with your praise,” Brian snarked.

“Just giving you a taste of your own medicine.”

“I never did like medicine,” Brian admitted.

“What about me, Unca Bobby?” Bree asked.

“Ah, yes, the best little niece in the whole wide world.”

“Thank you,” Bree said with one of those Taylor smiles that took your breath away.

Brian felt his heart melt as he looked at his perfect daughter. How had he got so lucky?

“Dada, you’re squishing me,” Bree said.

Brian realized he had pulled Bree into a hug and was literally crushing her against his chest.

“You okay, Bri?” Justin asked with a look of concern on his face.

Brian drew in a breath. “I’m fine,” he replied giving a quick swipe to his suddenly wet eyes. “Red just made me realize how fucking lucky I am … to have all of you and a great life, and … everything.”

“And a lot of that great life is due to you,” John said squeezing the back of Brian’s hand when he laid it on the table.

“This trip is great too,” Gus said, feeling like he needed to contribute something to this heartfelt discussion. “I really appreciate it, Pop, and having Ray with me just makes it that much better.”

“Enough, all of you,” Brian said trying not to bellow too loud. “This has gotten really sickening. It’s time we went to see Stonehenge.”

“Yay, I’ve wanted to see Stonehenge ever since you first talked about this trip,” Gus said enthusiastically.

“Why, Gus?” Bree asked. “Is it like Daddy’s henge?”

“Kind of, short stuff, but it’s the original.”

“Are you saying my henge isn’t original?” Justin asked with mock horror on his face.

“No, no, not at all, Justin,” Gus said trying to dig himself out of the hole in which he now found himself. “But your work was based on this henge, wasn’t it?”

“I think anything that’s called a henge is based on this one,” Justin agreed. “I was just yanking your chain, Gus.”

“Actually there’s lots of henges of varying sizes all over England,” John said, “but the one we’re going to see is the most famous of all.”

“Magical and mythical,” Ray said softly.

“It has been called both those things, and they say it could have been erected by Merlin and King Arthur. Of course, there’s no proof of that.”

Brian finished signing the credit card receipt. “Let’s go see this thing before it falls down or we know so much about it that there’s no magic left to it at all.”

“Let’s go,” everyone said almost in unison. They made their way out to the cars.

“Brian,” Justin said as they exited the pub. “Is everything really okay?”

“I … just had a moment in there. I’m really fine.”

“Good, because I love you, and you mean that much to me too.”

“I know, Sunshine, we are two fucking lucky gai boiz.”

“I like the sound of that,” Justin said as he looped his arm around Brian’s waist and they walked towards the cars.

“Let’s go see this Stonehenge. I bet it can’t hold a candle to yours,” Brian added as he squeezed Justin against him.



*****




“Daddy,” Bree whined softly as the family was halfway around the circle of Stonehenge. Briana was getting tired and bored. To the almost seven year old, a bunch of ancient rocks were not very exciting. Patrick, on the other hand was fascinated. He and his fathers were huddled together, pointing at the massive henge and discussing its known facts.

“What’s the matter, Baby Girl?” Justin could sense Bree’s fatigue.

“Tired, Daddy,” she said as Bree leaned into her father. Justin picked up the petite child to finish the circle.

“What’s so special about some old rocks?” Bree mumbled as she laid her head on her daddy’s shoulder.

“It’s not really about the rocks,” Justin tried to explain. “It’s about the people who cut them out of the ground and somehow transported them from hundreds of miles away and assembled the henge and all without any modern tools.”

“Oh,” Bree said with a yawn. “Are we going to take a bath now?” she said sleepily.

Justin chuckled. “Yes baby, we’re going to Bath then we’ll go home.”

“Okay,” Bree said as she fell asleep in her daddy’s arms.

“Hey,” Brian said as he approached his spouse and daughter.

“Hey,” Justin replied.

“Let me take her back to the car,” Brian said as he held out his arms.

“I don’t mind holding her.”

“I know but I know you’re itching to sketch a rock or two,” Brian said with a smirk. Justin smiled; Brian knew him too well. He gently transferred their sleeping princess to his husband.

“Go on, go plant yourself somewhere and draw. The Squirt and I will be fine,” Brian said as he leaned down to give Justin a chaste kiss. Justin smiled then moved off to find the right ‘rock’ to draw.

“Can I see it?” Lindsay asked Justin about a half an hour later. She had noticed Justin sitting on the grass, his hand moving rapidly across his sketch pad. He held up his pad for Lindsay’s inspection.

“Not the whole thing,” Lindsay stated.

“No,” Justin said as he cocked his head toward Gus and Ray. The boys were taking pictures of the henge from as many angles as possible. “I wanted to draw the Heelstone.”

“Why?”

“I haven’t a clue but I find it interesting.”

“So you don’t always have a plan?”

“You mean a grand plan or a check list of what to draw? No, not always, I just keep an open mind and draw what I see.”

“What do you see now?”

“I see...I see everyone standing by the cars waiting for us,” Justin laughed as he stood up.

Lindsay giggled. “I can take a hint,” she said.

“Me too,” Justin agreed as they strolled to the cars.



*****


 

 



“Is this a bathtub?” Bree asked as they all stood at the edge of the famous Roman bath. They could feel the heat rising off the water.

“It was. Now it’s just for show,” Brian explained.

“Oh.” Bree wasn’t very impressed. The green tinted water looked nasty and didn’t smell all that clean. The water in their stream looked cleaner.

“Hey, Pop, it says here in the brochure that there’s a fudge shop in the village. Can Ray and I take the kids to find it?”

“Fine by me as long as John and Bobby don’t mind, but Gus, not too much. Real fudge is too strong,” Brian cautioned.

“No problem,” Gus said as he took Bree’s hand then they went to find Patrick, leaving Brian and Justin still standing at the edge of the bath.

“Can you imagine what this bathhouse was once like?” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear. “All those men.”

“Do you miss the baths and all those men?”

“Yes and no.”

“What?” Justin was a little stunned at Brian’s answer.

“I don’t miss the men but sometimes I miss us, just the two of us, together at the baths. I miss the looks I got from all those men who were jealous because I got to fuck the most beautiful man I had ever known in Pittsburgh,” Brian purred in Justin’s ear. “They all wanted you but I had you. You were all mine.”

“I’m still yours, Brian,” Justin whispered as he looked up into Brian’s eyes. Brian gently swiped his thumb across Justin’s cheek then kissed the tiny scar over his temple.

“And you’re still the most beautiful man I have ever known.” Justin gave Brian his sunniest smile.

“Let’s go find the family,” Justin suggested. “I think I’m ready to go back.”

Brian smiled as he slung his arm over Justin’s shoulder and they walked out of the bath together.



*****



The family managed to arrive home and assemble for dinner at the usual time. Bree had slept most of the way home in the car, so there hadn’t been a lot of opportunity to talk about what they’d seen.

“I loved Stonehenge,” Patrick said when asked what was the best part of the day for him.

“It’s just old rocks,” Bree said with a frown. She just didn’t get why everyone was so fascinated with the big pile of rocks.

“Yeah, but they’re huge rocks, and somebody had to lift them on top of each other like that.”

“Somebody? One person?” Bree asked her eyes getting very large.

Patrick sighed. Sometimes girls were so dumb, even Bree. “No, not one person, but somebody had to figure out how to lift the rocks. They weigh tons, more than a car,” Patrick explained trying to use terms his cousin could understand.

“More than a big car?”

“Way more. I bet there was an architect just like my dad who figured it all out.” Patrick looked at his father with awe.

“I’m sure it was a series of levers and pulleys and lots of man power that accomplished the task,” John replied modestly, but everyone could see how proud he was that Patrick thought someone like him had created Stonehenge.

“What about woman power?” Bree asked.

Lindsay almost choked on her dinner. “Good question, Bree,” she said.

“I think women could make better stuff than a pile of rocks,” Bree declared.

Everyone chuckled before Bobby said, “So what did you like best, Brian?” He thought it prudent to change the subject.

“I was kind of partial to the baths,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Ah, memories,” Lindsay chuckled.

Brian gave her the appropriate glare, but everyone could see that he didn’t mean it.

“I wouldn’t bath in that awful place,” Bree stated. “It smelled bad and the water was gross.”

“And there we have the definitive answer,” Brian said looking at his daughter. “Someday you’ll learn to appreciate old things,” he told her.

“I don’t think so,” was Bree’s reply.


Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 17





Lindsay left the children writing their account of the trip to Stonehenge and Bath. She walked across the hall to her bedroom, leaving all the doors open, so she could hear any possible problems, should they arise.

She picked up the cell phone that Brian had got her to talk to her family at home. She punched in all the required numbers and waited.

“Hello?”

“Mel.”

“Lindz, is that you?”

“Yes, it’s really me. Sorry I haven’t called sooner, but we’ve been really busy.”

“At least you called from the airport to let me know you arrived safely,” Mel replied.

Lindsay heard the implied criticism. “Justin and I have spent a lot of time at the gallery. We’re almost ready for the opening. Just some fine tuning left to do.”

“That’s good.”

“So, what are you and JR doing?”

“We’re at the cottage. JR’s sleeping.”

“Sleeping?”

“Yes, it’s after one in the morning here.”

“Oh shit! I keep forgetting about the time change. Did I wake you?”

“No, I don’t sleep so well without you here beside me,” Melanie admitted.

“I love you,” Lindsay said with a soft smile gracing her beautiful face. “I miss you.”

“I miss you too,” Melanie said with a little hitch in her voice.

“Mel…?”

“I’m fine. JR and I are having a good time together. We have dinner every evening, and we went to the diner one night. Lacy was glad to see us. She’s done a wonderful job fixing up the place.”

“That’s nice.”

“JR and I made a snowman this afternoon. It’s been good to spend some real time with her. We actually do things together … and talk.”

“Did you notice how smart she is?” Lindsay chuckled.

“I already knew that, but what I have noticed is what a big heart she has.”

“A big heart?” Lindsay asked.

“She has this gentle way about her, but she’s really deep. You know what I mean?”

“I think so. She has a lovely temperament with just a smidge of your fire,” Lindsay laughed.

“The gentle part must come from you. Anyway, this time together has been good for both of us.”

“I’m really glad to hear that.”

“What have you been doing, besides the gallery stuff? Sightseeing?”

“We went to Stonehenge today,” Lindsay replied.

“Wow! I’ve always wanted to see that.”

“It’s very imposing, but Bree was not impressed.”

“Oh?”

“She called it a big pile of rocks and told us that women would build something better.”

Melanie laughed out loud. “She’s so right. Can’t fault her fathers for being chauvinistic when she thinks like that.”

“I have her and Patrick writing about what they saw today. I can hardly wait to read it. If it’s good, I’ll email it to you,” Lindsay laughed.

“Thanks.”

“I guess I should let you go, so you can get some sleep.”

“Yeah, if only it was that easy.”

“I miss you.”

“Me too.”

“Bye, Mel.”

“Bye, beautiful.”

Lindsay cut the connection. The smile on her face was radiant as she walked back to the children’s room. The kids sat at what had been designated as their school table, waiting for her. “Are you done?” she asked. They both nodded. She picked up Patrick’s account of his trip to Stonehenge first.

Stonehenge is a magnifcent structure. I loved seeing the huge rocks piled up like they are. It has to be one of the best structures ever built. My dad could build something this great too, if he wanted to.

Lindsay looked at the brief description and was impressed. “There’s another ‘i’ in magnificent,” she pointed out to the boy. “But your vocabulary is excellent. I can see how impressed with Stonehenge you were. You like studying building and structures, don’t you?” Lindsay asked.

Patrick nodded enthusiastically. “I’m going to be an architect like my dad,” he said.

“That’s a very worthy goal,” Lindsay said with a smile. “What did you write, Bree?”

Bree held out her piece of paper. Lindsay took it and looked at the printing that Bree had done.

Stonehenge is a pile of rocks.  My Daddy’s henge is better.  I’d make cassels out of the stones.  Not build some stupid ring that isn’t good for nothing.

Lindsay smiled to herself. She’d have to show the two accounts to the children’s fathers. They’d get a kick out of what was written. “Very interesting, Bree,” Lindsay said. “Castles is spelled like this,” she said printing it on another piece of paper for Bree to see.

“The ‘t’ is silent?” Bree asked.

“Exactly.”

“’Kay.”

Lindsay smiled. She had no doubt Bree had filed the correct spelling away for future reference. Being in England the little girl might have several more chances to use the word “castle” again.

“Shall we go show your fathers what you wrote, before you get ready for bed?”

“’Kay,” Bree said while Patrick nodded. They headed downstairs to find the men.



*****



The following week went by in a flash. Justin and Lindsay reported to the gallery daily to spend a few hours fine tuning the exhibit and reviewing the agenda for the opening night event. At the advice of Charles and Sidney, Justin gave interviews to the local and national newspapers. The family continued to tour the city and surrounding countryside. And Bree and Patrick continued to take their daily lessons which Brian over-nighted to their principal every few days.

While everyone was occupied with their own pursuits, Brian took some time to spend at the new Kinnetik Isles. He ordered new computer equipment to allow Shane McKenna to video conference with the other Kinnetik branches. Brian personally contacted Brandon and his team so Kinnetik Isles could be added into the security fold and to introduce Shane McKenna. After a very productive morning at Isles, Brian went to the gallery to see if Justin could be lured away for a quiet lunch for two.

“May I assist you, sir?” a very efficient looking young woman asked Brian as he entered the gallery.

“Perhaps you can,” Brian replied in a low breathy tone giving a sexy arch to his brow.

“Are you interested in something particular? A piece of fine art in a specific style or genre?” the woman probed, hoping Brian would find her interesting.

“Actually, I'm more interested in...”

“Oh my heavens!” the woman exclaimed. “You’re real! I mean, you’re him! You’re...” the woman blushed as she looked Brian up and down, stopping briefly at his crotch then blushing a deeper shade of red.

Brian smirked.

“I, uh, I’m so embarrassed,” the young woman said contritely with a coy smile. Just then another gallery employee came over to offer his assistance.

“Adele, do you need...bloody hell, you’re him!” The new set of eyes slowly took their own tour of Brian’s long trim body. Several other curious employees began to surround Brian all vying for an introduction.

“Brian, are you forming your own display?” Justin asked with amusement, proud that his gorgeous husband still had it, not that he ever lost it. He, Charles and Lindsay came down to the first floor in response to the noise.

“Apparently,” Brian answered over the crowd, giving a shrug of his shoulders.

“Perhaps we should have an exhibit with you as its sole feature,” Charles suggested in jest.

Brian appeared to ponder the suggestion. “I like it,” Brian retorted as he struck a pose. Brian’s fans let out a collective sigh.

Charles formally introduced Brian to the gallery staff, stressing that Brian was happily committed to his longtime partner. Many a disappointed groan was heard.

“Charles, Lindsay, do you think it would be permissible for me to steal away your artist for a long lunch? A very long lunch,” Brian drawled as he leered at Justin, waggling his eyebrows. Justin’s cheeks grew pink and warm at Brian’s innuendo.

“Brian, we do have work to do,” Lindsay admonished.

Before Brian had a chance to object, Charles jumped in. “Lindsay, all work and no play makes for a very dull artist. I think we can spare Justin for one afternoon,” Charles assured her.

Brian waited as Justin retrieved his coat and messenger bag then spirited his spouse out the gallery doors and into their waiting car.

“Destination, sir?” Stuart asked. Brian leaned up to speak to Stuart confidentially. The driver then nodded, started the car and drove out into the traffic.

“Where are we going?”

“To find lunch, Sunshine.”

“But there’s a very nice café near the gallery.”

“Ah yes, a very nice straight café near the gallery. We’re going to...”

“Woody’s!” Justin said as they pulled up in front of a pub. “How did you know?”

“I didn’t. I just asked Stuart if he knew of a homo friendly pub and voila! Here we are. Who knew it was Woody’s?”

“I make a motion that we check it out,” Justin said.

“I second that emotion, Sunshine. Besides, you know I’ll follow your ass anywhere,” Brian purred.

“My big Smoosh,” Justin giggled. The lovers left the car for the pub.



*****



“I wonder if this place has a back room,” Brian murmured against the shell of Justin’s ear. Justin shivered in response. They were sitting in a circular booth toward the back of the bar. Instead of sitting opposite each other, the lovers were huddled close together with Brian’s arm draped around Justin’s shoulder. It made it somewhat awkward to eat but then they really didn’t care. They both relished the closeness and the freedom that the gay bar afforded them.

“I thought we don’t do public sex anymore?” Justin said as he gently poked Brian in the ribs and gave him a little tickle.

“There’s nothing wrong with a healthy curiosity, Sunshine,” Brian remarked as he stole a French fry off of Justin’s plate, popping it into his mouth.

“It’s comforting to know that some things never change,” Justin replied as he kissed Brian, licking his salty lips. Brian responded by hugging Justin closer and sucking on his tongue. When they finally broke apart, the lovers were breathless and hard.

“Some things should never change,” Brian whispered as he leaned his forehead into his lover.

“This place does remind me of our Woody’s,” Justin commented after a while.

“Mmm, so many men,” Brian agreed as he scanned the bar. There were many handsome men stopping in for lunch.

“So little time,” Justin finished Brian’s thought as he too found the eye candy fun to look at.

“Justin, are you happy?” Brian asked in reflection. He was rapidly approaching fifty, while Justin perpetually looked in his twenties. Brian wasn’t blind to the cruising gazes his young lover was getting.

“You mean, am I happy with you?” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips. Brian gave a slight nod. Justin reached up to grab a handful of Brian’s lush thick hair, crimping it, giving it that just fucked look. Then Justin slipped his hand around the back of Brian’s neck bringing him down for a toe curling kiss. “You are my life,” Justin assured his spouse. Brian gave Justin a little smile and a peck on the nose.

The lovers ate their lunch in companionable silence playing footsie under the table and turning down offers from the admirers in the room.



*****



“Chop, chop, everyone! Let’s get a move on,” Brian commanded, doing his best Emmett imitation.

“I’m ready, Dada.”

“That’s my girl.”

“Do I look good?’

Brian eyed the pretty pink dress and black patent mary janes that his daughter wore. “You look fabulosa, senorita,” he proclaimed.

Bree giggled. “You’re silly, Dada.”

“Perhaps, but I’m also ready. Where is the rest of this motley crew?” he demanded as he held Bree’s coat for her to put on.

“We’re ready,” Justin said leading the remaining members of the family group down the stairs.

Brian’s breath caught in his throat. He had spent all afternoon fucking Justin into the mattress, and there was nothing he liked better than a naked and aroused Justin Taylor. Nothing, except a fully clothed Justin Taylor who looked so good that Brian wanted to rip the clothes off him and start all over again. Brian stifled the groan that rumbled through his whole body.

Clearing his throat, Brian quickly said, “Into the cars. I don’t want to be late for the theater.”

“What are we seeing?” Lindsay asked as Stuart and Nathan opened the doors of the cars for their passengers.

“The Complete Works of William Shakespeare,” Brian said before he disappeared into the car leaving all of the others with their jaws dropped open.

“What?”

“Did he say what I thought he said?”

“The complete works?”

“Is he crazy? The kids are going to hate this?”

“I hate this.”

“I don’t like Shakespeare.”

“Do we have to go?”

“Get in.”

Finally everyone was situated in the two cars. Justin was beside Brian. He leaned over against his husband.

“Are you sure about this?” he asked with a frown. “Bree will probably be bored. And you know how she gets when she’s bored.”

“It’ll be fine,” Brian said smugly.

Justin looked at his husband’s smirking face and wondered what was going on. He decided to wait and see.

“I’m not really a fan of Shakespeare, Pop,” Gus said carefully. “Maybe Ray and I should get out and go … shopping or something.”

“When in doubt, shop?” Brian asked. Gus nodded hopefully. “You’re going to the theater,” Brian stated in a tone that made it clear that no one was escaping.

Gus heaved a sigh, but decided the better part of valor might be to keep his mouth shut. Ray squeezed his hand to comfort him.

Soon they pulled up in front of the theater. As they got out, John read the marquee: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare in 97 Minutes. 97 minutes?”

“That’s right,” Brian replied.

“But…”

“It’s a comedy. Give it a chance,” Brian requested. “It’s been running for years.”

They quickly made their way inside as they were already rather late. They got to their seats just before the lights dimmed. The 97 minutes passed very quickly.

“That was wonderful,” Bobby said as they exited the theater. “Be to not, or be to,” he emoted, gesturing wildly.

“That was definitely the best part where they did Hamlet backwards,” Ray laughed.

“That was great,” Gus agreed.

“I liked the ghost,” Bree offered.

“You weren’t scared of it?” Justin asked as he held her hand.

“It was a hankie, Daddy. I wasn’t scared.”

Everyone chuckled.

“How come they were all men?” Patrick asked.

“That’s the way they did it in Shakespeare’s day,” Brian explained. “Only men could be actors. The younger men or boys were the women.”

“That sucks,” Bree said.

“Times have changed,” Lindsay told her.

“It still sucks,” Bree said again.

“You can be my Desdemona any day, Sunshine,” Brian laughed giving Justin a peck on the cheek.

“God, I hope not. Don’t they all end up dead?”

“Mostly they do. Everyone in the tragedies ends up dead,” John offered.

“Or crazy,” Brian added.

They had walked down to the cars which were waiting a little way down the street from the theater.

“Maybe I should get tickets for the New Globe Theater,” Brian suggested. “We could see some real Shakespeare.”

“I think this was better, Pop,” Gus said hastily. He didn’t think he would enjoy an actual Shakespeare play, although what they had just seen was one of the best things he’d ever been to.

“You didn’t think you’d like this play either,” Brian reminded him.

“Yeah, but…”

“Just trust me,” Brian said. “Am I ever wrong?”

There was silence. They all struggled to remember the last time Brian Kinney had been wrong. Nobody came up with an answer.

Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

London Calling

Chapter 18





“Mom!” JR shouted as she spied Lindsay at the other end of the baggage area. “Gus!” she called out again, frantically waving her hands in the sir. Gus was at JR’s side in moments.

“Hey kiddo!” he said as he picked her up and swung her around. “Mama,” Gus said with a smile, and a hug and a kiss for his other mother.

“Sweetheart,” Mel replied, reaching up on her toes to kiss his cheek.

“How was your flight?” Lindsay asked as she gave her partner a hug and discreet kiss. She and Mel gazed into each other’s eyes for a moment, promising a better reunion when they were behind closed doors.

“Fine but long,” Mel said, making goo-goo eyes at her wife.

“Gag. Gus, I hope my room is down the hall from the moms. I do not want to hear them doing anything later,” JR complained and then laughed as she and Gus had both covered their ears with their hands in mock horror. The moms blushed.

“Let’s find your bags and get out of here. Hudson gets pissed if we’re late for dinner,” Gus counseled. Lindsay nodded in agreement.

“Hudson?” Mel and JR said as they exchanged looks but hurried to retrieve their bags.

With Gus pushing a luggage cart, he led the way out of the airport and to their waiting car.



*****



“Well, fuck me,” Mel said as she stood outside the stately London townhouse, looking up with awe. “Damn, when Kinney does something, he does it right,” she said, not realizing that she just paid her arch rival a compliment. Lindsay, JR and Gus didn’t mention it either.

“We better go inside; it’s almost seven,” Gus reminded them, as he and Nathan took the bags indoors.

“Seven? What happens at seven?” Mel asked.

“Dinner, madam. Dinner happens,” Hudson said in her clipped and efficient manner as she appeared beside them. Mel jumped, looking the formidable woman up and down and thinking better of confronting her. “Ms. Marcus, I am Hudson. Please don’t hesitate to call me if you have any questions or concerns during your stay here. You and Miss Lindsay have fourteen minutes before dinner is served,” Hudson announced as she briefly checked her watch.

“Miss JR, allow me to show you to your rooms. I’m sure your brother will direct you on how we dress for dinner,” Hudson instructed.

Melanie’s eyes grew wide as Lindsay took her elbow to immediately guide Mel up to their rooms. Gus winked at Hudson as she turned to lead the way to the set of rooms that were designated for JR. Gus and John had picked them out especially for the girl. The rooms were large, spacious, and filled with just enough lace that would make a young woman feel special. The full canopy bed was fit for a queen. Or at least the daughter of two drama queens.

“Eleven minutes,” Hudson announced as she disappeared down the hall. She smirked at the sound of shutting doors and frantic movements.

“Hudson, are you sure you don’t have a twin sister that I can lure back to the States with me?” Brian asked as he came out of his room smiling conspiratorially and dressed sharply for dinner.

“I’m afraid not, sir,” came the reply.

“A brother?” Brian teased.

“No, I am an only child,” Hudson revealed.

“Damn! I wonder if they’ve perfected cloning,” Brian mumbled as he fell into step beside the housekeeper as they walked through the house and into the dining room.



*****



“It’s good to have you here,” John said as he gave Melanie a hug before sitting down at the table. “And you, young lady, I’ve missed you,” he said to JR.

JR beamed at him. “I missed you too, Uncle John.”

“And that’s just the way it should be,” John said with a grin. He gave her hand a squeeze. “How do you like your room?”

“I feel like a princess,” JR told him. “It’s beautiful.”

“Gus and I thought you might like it.”

“It couldn’t be better. This house is so beautiful.”

“Thank you, young miss,” Hudson said as she had entered the room and directed the staff to start serving the soup.

“Mm, this is delicious,” Melanie said as she took a sip of the soup. “My compliments to the chef.”

“He will be most appreciative of the compliment,” Hudson said. “I’ll be sure to tell him.” She left the room to make sure the main course was progressing satisfactorily and to pass on the compliment to Cook.

“I could get used to living like this,” JR said, while savoring her soup. “I bet you don’t have to do dishes or make beds.

“Nope,” Gus said. “It’s a life of luxury for me.” He grinned at everyone at the table.

“Don’t get too used to this lifestyle, Sonny Boy,” Brian admonished. “In a couple of weeks you’ll be back at Penn State with your roommates who are happy to live in a pigsty.”

Gus groaned. “You would have to remind me.”

“That’s a father’s job,” Brian smirked.

“How come you don’t have staff at your home, Mr. Kinney?” Ray asked.

Brian arched a brow in surprise. “I never wanted outsiders mucking around.”

“He’s happy to have me do it,” Justin said with a chuckle.

“I…” Brian began. “Sunshine, do you want help? I could…”

“Brian, I’m teasing. I don’t want outsiders mucking around in our business either,” he reassured Brian. “I like our life the way it is.”

“Yeah, but Ray’s right. You’re very busy and…”

“Brian, enough. I don’t want servants,” Justin said adamantly. “But it’s nice to have them while we’re here.”

The maid wheeled in the main course and started clearing the soup dishes. Brian looked around the table and wondered if maybe he was being unfair to Justin. Justin did most of the housework back at Edna’s Treasures. Brian helped some, but the majority of the work seemed to be Justin’s responsibility, and now, Justin was a world famous artist. Brian leaned back and studied his husband.

After a minute or two, Justin felt compelled to say something. He leaned towards Brian and said, “Brian, stop staring at me. I’m going to have a hole through my head if you don’t.”

“I’m not using my Rage powers,” Brian tried to joke.

“I do not want servants,” Justin said staring into Brian’s eyes.

“Are you sure?”

“One hundred percent.”

“But, have I been unfair to you?” Brian whispered.

“I would have told you if you were.”

“Yeah, I guess you would,” Brian said reflecting on his husband’s words. The days of Justin not speaking his mind were long gone.

“You know I would, now eat your meal and stop staring.”

“Yes, master,” Brian joked, using one of Justin’s lines.

Justin chuckled and dug into his own food.



*****



“That was fucking fabulous,” Melanie said as she pushed her chair back a little from the table. She had really enjoyed the crème Brule for dessert. “Have you been eating like this every day?”

“Pretty much,” Bobby replied.

“I may not want to go back home.”

“We’re all going home soon, aren’t we, Poppa?” Patrick asked.

“In a week or two,” Bobby said. “Are you getting homesick?”

“I miss my room and my friends,” Patrick said.

“But you’ve had fun here, haven’t you?”

“Yeah, most of the time,” Patrick admitted.

“You’ve been very quiet tonight, Squirt,” Brian said. “Are you homesick too?”

“I miss Ashley,” Bree said with a sigh.

“You had to ask, didn’t you?” Justin said to his husband.

“Oops.”

“Big oops.”

“Dada…” Bree began.

“Here it comes,” Justin whispered.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Can we go the park and play soccer with Ian again?”

“Sure,” Brian said in surprise. “But I thought you just said…”

“Shut up, Brian,” Justin whispered to his mate. “She’s not talking about Ashley, so leave it be.”

“Right, of course, certainly. The park it is … tomorrow.”

“Yay!” Bree replied.

“Let’s go into the living room,” Justin suggested. “Hudson will bring tea and coffee in there.”

They all stood up and started to make their way out of the dining room.

“Thanks,” Brian said wrapping his arms around Justin from behind.

“When are you going to learn that Ashley is a taboo subject unless we want major temper tantrums?” Justin said with a laugh.

“Never, I guess. I seem to fall into that trap all the time.”

“Do it again and you’ll be on a plane with Bree back to the States.”

“Not unless you’re with me,” Brian stated taking a nibble at Justin’s ear.

“You are a sweet talker, Brian Kinney.”

“I do my best.”

“And your best is just about perfect.”

Hand in hand they walked across the foyer to the living room and their waiting family.



*****



“Mmm, I miss this,” Melanie murmured from between Lindsay’s thighs. They were curled around each other’s legs after a very satisfying and noisy round of lovemaking.

“I missed you,” Lindsay said as she pillowed her head on Mel’s inner leg.

“I missed you too,” Mel said with a goofy post-coital dreamy eyed look. “When’s the main event?”

“The exhibition opening? Thursday, for special guests, the press and dignitaries, Friday for us commoners.”

“Commoners?”

“Us ordinary art lovers and patrons. The ones without a title in front of their names.”

“You sound almost angry.”

“I guess maybe I am. I’m used to the regular snobs that patronize the gallery. The ones that have more money than Bill Gates or think they do or the ones like Sarah Kingsley with a lineage that dates back to prehistoric man,” Lindsay griped making Mel laugh.

“It can’t be all that bad,” Mel said as she gently caressed Lindsay’s leg and rubbed a foot.

“Yes, it can be. Justin and I have both taken comportment lessons.”

“What the hell is that?”

“How to bow and curtsey. Who is a ‘my Lady’ and who is a Lord. It’s ridiculous but when in Rome...”

“You mean, when in England.” Lindsay nodded. “Is it really that important?”

“Maybe not so much for me. All I get to do is stand around, talk about art and persuade people to buy a Justin Taylor original. It’s been harder for Justin but you now how he is.”

“He doesn’t complain, he just does it.”

“Exactly. And to top it all off, Brian goes off and merges.”

“What?”

“You heard me. Somehow he found a small advertising agency that was barely keeping its head above water. Two seconds later, Kinnetik Isles,” Lindsay declared with a snap of her fingers.

“Kinnetik Isles? Wait, don’t tell me, the owner is Irish.”

“Yup. It threw Justin for a while there, until Brian could convince him that they weren’t spending anymore time here than is necessary. They both want to go back home as scheduled.”

“Was Justin really that worried?” Mel and Lindsay always had protective feelings toward Justin from the minute they first met him.

“Yes, he’s become very distracted at the gallery.”

“Are you sure that’s it?”

“What do you mean?”

“He and Brian looked quite lovey dovey at dinner. It was all business as usual. Justin would have said something to Brian if he was really worried. He’s become a very confident man. He doesn’t take any shit from Brian.”

“You’re right; he would have called Brian out on it. Maybe it’s this show; the hype is so different from his other shows.”

“But Justin has always behaved with dignity at all his openings. He’s naturally charming and those country club manners of his go far. I can’t believe he’s worried about any possible faux pas. Is he behaving strangely anywhere else? From what you’ve told me on the phone, you’ve been doing a lot of sightseeing. Speaking of which, when are you going to show me your drawings?”

Lindsay blushed. “I told you about them, didn’t I?”

“Yes, you did and we promised each other that we were going to share our private pursuits, didn’t we?” Mel said as she sat up to take Lindsay’s hands in hers. “Lindz, I don’t care if you’ve been drawing stick figures for the past two weeks. I just want to be a part of it.”

Lindsay smiled as she nodded then retrieved her sketch pad from the bedside table to hand to Mel. Melanie carefully opened the pad to peer inside.

“Where was this done?” Mel asked as she gazed upon an angel’s face.

“The cathedral at Salisbury.”

“It’s beautiful. And this?” Mel pointed to a sketch of a Roman statue.

“Bath.” Lindsay took out her camera to show Mel some of the places they visited. Mel laughed. “What’s so funny?”

“Brian would manage to find a way to take Justin to the baths.” Mel chuckled at the picture of Brian and Justin mugging for the camera in front of the ancient baths. “I wish I could have been with you,” she whispered.

“I know. But honestly, that day was the exception. Justin and I have been at the gallery practically every day since we arrived. I’ve been living vicariously through Gus and his pictures. Gus, he grows more and more like Brian every day.”

“You think so? He’s nothing like Brian.”

“Maybe not the one we knew a long time ago but the Brian we know now. Mel, Brian’s all grown up. He’s wonderful with Gus and Ray and Bree and Patrick. And you know how much JR loves him. They wouldn’t want anything to do with him if he wasn’t such a good man. He’s gotten past his upbringing and his old Liberty Avenue ways.”

“He can still be a stubborn arrogant know it all son of a bitch when he wants to.”

“Of course he can; he wouldn’t be Brian if he wasn’t. But it’s tempered by wisdom and a lot of love.”

“Why do we always wind up talking about Brian?”

“Because sometimes it’s all about Brian. Now what have you been up to since I’ve been away?”

“Um, you may think this is silly but I’ve been thinking of taking some night classes.”

“Night classes?”

“Well, some are at night and some are on the weekends.”

“What kind of classes?”

“Creative writing classes. I tried to do things on my own and I found out it’s a lot harder than I thought. I get an idea but I don’t know how to put it down on paper. So I thought I’d start with the basics. Silly, huh?”

“No, I think it’s a great idea. When do you start?”

Melanie beamed at Lindsay’s support. “In February at the GLC. A professor from Carnegie Mellon is donating his time.”

“Wait, it’s not Ben, is it?”

“No, I checked. That would have been too weird. But he is one of Ben’s colleagues.”

“Are you all right with that?”

“Yeah. I am. I thought I’d be nervous or frightened but I’m not anymore.”

“Frightened? You’re beautiful, successful, and respected in your field. Mel, what have you got to be frightened about?”

“I’m scared that one day someone will see past the bravado and find out that I’m not the confident woman I pretend to be. But the real thing that scares me is that one day you’ll finally realize that you can do better than me.”

“Oh Mel, never. I know we’ve had some rough patches but I know in my heart that we’re finally solid. I love you and more importantly, I like you. You’re my best friend.”

“I thought Brian was your best friend.”

“He is but in a different way. I want to share things with you. I want you to be proud of me. Brian loves me no matter what.”

“So do I.”

“I know, but you and I can share this,” Lindsay said as she wagged her finger back and forth from herself to Mel and back. “We can sit like this, half naked, before, during and after making love, and talk. I can’t do this with Brian.”

The girls cracked up with laughter.

“Probably not. Lindsay, if I haven’t said it before I’m saying it now. I am so very proud of you and what you’ve accomplished. You know, I hate to admit it but Brian has been right about something for a very long time.”

“What’s that?”

“That it’s not birthdays or superfluous holidays that warrant celebration, but it’s our accomplishments that do. One day Sidney is going to retire and your name is going to be over the door of the gallery. And maybe we’ll be celebrating an opening of your own show one day.”

“And maybe one day I’ll be shopping at the bookstore and it’ll be your book in the window.”

“Does that mean we have to postpone any celebrating until then?” Mel asked with a twinkle in her eyes. Lindsay slowly slid her hand down Mel’s chest, cupping a breast then pinching her nipple until it was taut and peaked.

“I think there’s no reason to wait until then,” Lindsay purred as they laid down for their next round of lovemaking.



*****



“You ready for opening night?” Brian whispered as he kissed a path down Justin’s body. He grabbed Justin’s legs and threw them over his shoulders.

“Yesss,” Justin hissed, as he felt the blunt tip of Brian’s cock breach his entrance. “I’m ready,” Justin murmured to questions asked and unasked.

“You’ll be brilliant,” Brian declared as he slid himself deep within his lover. He waited a moment until he felt Justin relax then Brian began to thrust, angling himself to hit Justin’s sweet spot.

“Open your eyes, Sunshine,” Brian commanded with a low throaty growl. Justin struggled to open his eyes to stare into the lust filled eyes of his lover.

Beads of sweat formed on Justin’s brow while he hung onto the sheets as Brian slammed home time and time again.

“Look at me, Justin,” Brian purred as Justin’s eyes began to close. “See me.”

“I love you, Brian,” Justin gasped. “Can’t hold on.”

“Let it go. Come for me, Justin!” Justin came with a loud grunt; Brian came not too far behind him.

When Brian caught his breath and opened his eyes, Justin was already gently snoring, his legs still hooked over Brian’s shoulders. Brian chuckled softly, kissing the nearest hairy calf as he eased Justin’s legs down onto the mattress. With a soft towel, Brian cleaned his lover then himself then crawled next to his mate, covering them both with the blankets.

“I love you, Brian,” Justin mumbled in his sleep as he snuggled closer to his spouse.

Brian smiled. “Love you too, Sunshine,” Brian whispered as he kissed the top of Justin’s head then followed him into sleep.

Chapter 19 by SabinaThymeSunshine

London Calling

Chapter 19





“Do you get up at this ungodly hour every day?” Melanie asked as she entered the dining room of the townhouse. Lindsay had prodded her awake at six-thirty so they could be in the dining room promptly at seven.

“Only if we want to eat,” Brian replied as he filled his plate with scrambled eggs and bacon and dry toast.

“I wanted to sleep all day,” Melanie whined.

“The best thing to counteract jet lag is to get up and do things on this new time schedule,” Justin informed her, as he sat down at the table with his full plate. “It’s the best way to get back in synch.”

“Thank you for that PSA,” Melanie groused as she filled a glass with orange juice. “I see you haven’t changed.”

“Just spreading practical knowledge wherever I find it necessary to do so,” Justin replied with a smirk. Brian kissed his cheek in acknowledgement of his reply to the bitchy broad. Justin smiled back at his husband.

“Here you are, young lady,” Hudson said coming in from the kitchen and setting a bowl of her specially prepared porridge in front of Bree.

“Yummy,” Bree said enthusiastically as she picked up her spoon. Then she added, “Thank you very much, Hudson.”

“Perfect manners,” Hudson said with a pleased smile. “You’re a very cultured young miss.”

“Thank you,” Bree replied, pleased that she had passed Hudson’s test.

Brian and Justin smiled at their daughter. If nothing else, this trip had certainly improved Bree’s manners, and made her aware that manners were important to others as well. And that was all thanks to Hudson.

“So what’s on the agenda for today?” Brian asked looking at Melanie and Lindsay.

“I thought Melanie and JR might like to see Windsor Castle,” Lindsay suggested. “Any of you that would like to come with us are welcome.”

“That might be a good idea,” Brian said thoughtfully. “You don’t have anything else to do for tomorrow’s opening?” he asked his husband.

“Nope,” Justin said. “Thanks to Lindsay and Charles we’re ahead of the game. I just have to show up tomorrow night.”

“Want to see another castle, Squirt?” Brian asked.

“Is it like the other one? Buck-ing-ham?” Bree asked.

“Kind of, Brian replied, “but older.”

Bree frowned. She wasn’t sure she wanted to see another castle, with a silent “t”, she reminded herself. And old buildings were just … old.

“I’d like to go,” Gus said. “They have a museum in the castle, and there’s a famous chapel there.”

“And Stratford-Upon-Avon isn’t too far from there,” Ray piped up hopefully. “Lots of Shakespeare stuff … and Ann Hathaway’s cottage.”

“That sounds good,” Lindsay agreed. “What about you accompanying us, John, Bobby?”

“I’m going to do some research here,” John replied.

“And Poppa and I are going downtown,” Patrick informed them. “Piccadilly Circus.”

“You realize it’s not a real circus, right?” Bobby asked his son.

“I know, Poppa.”

Bree listened to all of this. Nothing really appealed to her. “Dada, you said we could go to the park and play soccer with Ian.”

“I did,” Brian nodded. “Is that what you’d like to do?” Bree nodded. “You’re sure? You don’t want to go to Windsor Castle or downtown?”

Bree shook her head. “Are there more dead people in the old building?” she asked.

“Probably,” Brian replied.

“And Patrick’s seeing a circus that’s not really a circus?”

Brian chuckled. “That’s correct.”

“Then I want to play soccer,” Bree stated definitively.

“Okay,” Brian said with a grin. “Soccer it is.”

“Good,” Bree replied as she finished her last spoonful of porridge.



*****

 




Lindsay and Melanie had a very enjoyable day wandering through the public parts of Windsor Castle and the quaint town that was nearby.



Gus took hundreds of photos. He and Ray even managed to escape on their own a few times to have some private time by themselves. JR enjoyed her time with both her mothers. They had lunch in a very nice pub just outside the castle walls.

In the afternoon they wandered through Stratford-Upon-Avon, and had afternoon tea in a cute little shop. The scones were to die for, and the clotted cream was perfect with them, along with homemade raspberry jam.

By the time they returned from their adventures, they had lots to tell those who had decided not to accompany them.



*****



“Henry, my boy, what’s wrong? You’ve been off your game for weeks,” Charles asked his son. He and Henry were standing off to one side of the gallery to observe the proceedings, dote on a royal when necessary and to supervise the serving of champagne and hors d’oeuvres.

The first night of the Justin Taylor exhibition was in full swing. Honored guests, including royalty, local celebrities and the press were invited to this private viewing. Tomorrow night’s event was scheduled for the general public. Brian and Justin were decked out in formal attire, Armani for Brian, and Dolce & Gabbana for Justin. Justin was chatting with a royal cousin who was showing interest in one of Justin’s Old Masters, as Brian stood at Justin’s side beaming proudly.

“What is it, Henry? All of this pretense beginning to get on your nerves or…” Charles looked at the wistful expression on his son’s face, “or is it the artist himself that’s got your knickers in a bunch.”

“Father,” Henry said with exasperation, trying to brush off his father’s intuitive assumption.

“I see. I thought you told me you had never met Taylor prior to his arrival.”

“I didn’t mean to lie to you, Father. We had met briefly in New York several years ago and the encounter, well, let’s just say I wasn’t on my best behavior. Nothing went too far and I was informed by his partner, in no uncertain terms, that the artist in question was off limits.”

“Oh Henry!”

“I know, father, not one of my finer moments. I have learned my lesson.”

“You do understand that I have always accepted and embraced your lifestyle. The alternative is unacceptable and most certainly out of the question. You are my son and I love you dearly. I may not have always approved of your choices but that may in part be my doing.”

“You, Father?”

“Yes, I’m afraid you’ve inherited my knack for choosing the wrong life partner. I failed miserably with your mother and your stepmother and now it seems my current wife is just about done with me.”

“You don’t sound very disappointed.”

“I know, I wonder what that means?” Charles smiled at his son. “Now, what about that violinist you told me about? He seems like a very likable fellow, quite talented too. I’ve had the pleasure of listening to several of his recordings. He does have a way with his instrument.”

“Father!” Henry exclaimed at the obvious double entendre. “If you must know, Ethan and I still see each other on occasion when I’m in Paris but I don’t foresee a long lasting relationship.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t be. He’s a fun distraction but we really don’t have much in common except for one thing,” Henry said as his eyes panned the gallery, landing again on their latest star.

“You can’t mean?”

“Oh yes. Apparently Ethan Gold and Justin Taylor were old schoolmates at the Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts. They met at an interesting time in their lives.”

“Can I assume they were more than chums?”

“Yes.”

“Interesting. I always had the impression that Kinney was the only man in Taylor’s life.”

“According to Ethan, for the most part, that’s true, except for the brief dalliance with the budding virtuoso. I’ve never met anyone with such power,” Henry commented about Brian. “From what little Ethan revealed Kinney was never far from Taylor’s mind and heart. Ethan had promised Taylor fidelity then made the ultimate mistake. Taylor terminated their relationship and moved out.”

“Straight back to Kinney?” Charles asked.

Brian was standing by one of his portraits; an attractive countess was shamelessly flirting with him. Brian, the consummate gentleman, was smiling at her jokes as he gently redirected her wandering hands, all the while making eye contact with Justin.

“Not directly, no,” Charles replied.

“Kinney is a sly one.”

“Sly as a fox, Father. From what I’ve learned, our young artist dogged his fox like a champion bloodhound.”

“And landed himself one hell of a partner. Kinney is a very astute businessman, as well as exceptionally handsome. I’m not one for gossip; however, I have the impression from Lindsay that Kinney is worth millions. He would move heaven and earth for his partner and family. He’s footing the bill on the Rutledge townhouse and flew Lindsay’s partner and daughter over for tomorrow’s event.”

Charles and Henry watched as Brian took two glasses of champagne from a passing waiter, offering one to Justin. Brian leaned down to discreetly place a chaste kiss on the golden mop of hair that hid the tiny scar on Justin’s temple. Justin looked up at Brian with big blue eyes brimming with love and admiration.

“Perhaps I may have been wrong about my assessment of who holds the power in their relationship. Kinney appears to be just as enamored with Taylor as Taylor is with Kinney.”

“They have children,” Charles declared the non sequitur.

“Pardon me?”

“They have children. They have made someone a grandparent.”

“Father, where is this going?”

“Son, I’m ready to be a grandfather.”

“I’m gay.”

“And so are they. There is a Gus Kinney listed on the credits of Taylor’s Fractal Movie. According to Lindsay, Gus is her and Kinney’s son. Henry, gay men and women are having children all the time. I’m ready.”

“I’d prefer to have a partner and be settled before I make you a grandfather.”

“Then hurry up, Henry. You and I aren’t getting any younger.” Having made his suggestion to Henry, Charles patted his son on the shoulder then went into the main gallery to hobnob with the gentry.



*****



“My feet are killing me,” Lindsay complained as she, Brian and Justin were driven back to the townhouse. She was rolling her slightly swollen ankles hesitating to remove her heels.

“I’ve never understood why women insist on wearing those things,” Brian commented looking down at her feet.

“They make me look tall and slim.”

“Lindz, in case you haven’t noticed, you’re already tall and slim,” he said stating the obvious.

“Are you sure you’re gay? Emmett would understand.”

“It wouldn’t surprise me if he owns a pair like those,” Brian mumbled making Lindsay and Justin laugh. “It went well tonight,” Brian commented after they quieted.

“Yes, it did,” Lindsay agreed. “What do you think, Justin?” Lindsay asked as she looked around Brian at Justin.

“I think I’m ready to go home,” Justin said with an exhausted sigh as he leaned his head onto Brian’s shoulder.

“Then we’ll go home,” Brian assured his spouse as he snaked his arm around Justin.



*****



The next morning, Hudson forgave Brian, Justin and Lindsay’s lack of attendance at the breakfast table. When they had returned to the townhouse from the opening, it was well after three in the morning. The rest of the family came to breakfast then went about their business with their usual efficiency. Hudson had special trays made up and at the appropriate time, the trays were sent up to Brian and Justin’s room. Lindsay had made other arrangements.

“This is it, Sunshine. One more night and we can go home,” Brian stated as he put the morning newspaper down to pick up his coffee cup. The first of the reviews about London’s latest sensation were glowing.

“I don’t think we can leave right away, but we can send everyone home then follow when we’re sure I’m no longer needed here,” Justin replied as he peeled then sectioned an orange. He gave a few sections to Brian before eating a succulent wedge himself.

“That makes a lot of sense. We all have open return tickets. We can send the kids home with John and Bobby then follow when we’re ready. I’d like you to meet Shane and see the new branch.”

“I’d like that,” Justin said with a big smile. They continued to eat their brunch at a leisurely pace, mentally preparing themselves for the night’s events.



*****



“Bloody Hell, there’s three of them!” Adele exclaimed as Brian, John and Gus wandered through the gallery just before the doors officially opened for the night’s festivities. Several of the gallery staff had fallen in lust with Brian’s portraits and were equally awed by the man himself. They began hyperventilating at the sight of John and the younger Kinney.

The Kinney men smirked then arched that famous brow at the adulation.

“Mr. Taylor, how has London been treating you?” a member of the Fleet Street brigade asked.

“Your city is amazing and your people warm and friendly. My family and I are forever grateful.” Justin was genuine with his praise. He was then photographed wearing one of his most brilliant smiles. The London press had a new shining star.

“Justin, may I speak to you?” Henry asked. Justin had just handed a small plate of sweet treats to Bree to share with Patrick as they sat in the ‘amphitheater’ to watch the Fractal movie.

Justin nodded somewhat hesitantly.

“I promise you, my intent is innocent. Actually I wanted to apologize for my behavior back then. It wasn’t very gentlemanly.”

“Henry, nothing happened and what little that did, I was as equally at fault. I was selfish and feeling sorry for myself. You’re a very attractive man. I was flattered by your attention. It was wrong of me.”

“I’m envious,” Henry admitted.

“Why?”

“You’re beautiful, talented and blessed with a wonderful family. My poor father is begging me to make him a grandfather,” Henry said with a chuckle.

“Does Charles know about you?”

“Yes, he’s always known. In spite of my globetrotting ways, my father and I have always been close. As soon as I realized what I was feeling and could put a name to it, I confided in him. He loves me and only wants for my happiness.”

“I’m envious,” Justin said wistfully.

“Why?”

“My father and I are on very shaky ground. He threw me out when I wouldn’t conform to his way of thinking and refused to give up my deviant lifestyle and give up Brian. It’s gotten better over the years but that’s only because of our daughter. He’s afraid he’ll be totally cut out of Bree’s life. Be grateful that you have such an accepting father.”

“I am. Will you be heading back to the States soon?”

“I hope so,” Justin sighed then quickly apologized. “I didn’t mean that the way it came out. This has been the experience of a lifetime for me and my family. I wouldn’t have changed a thing but I love my cottage back home and the kids need to go back to school. I’m ready.”

Henry stuck out his hand for Justin to shake. “Justin Taylor, it’s been an honor and a pleasure meeting and working with you. We look forward to a long and prosperous relationship.”

Justin shook Henry’s hand as he smiled and nodded.



*****



“Mommy, this has been like a dream,” JR said to Mel. She and the whole family were treated to new outfits especially for the night, at Brian’s insistence. When Mel had tried to protest, Brian complained that he wasn’t trusting a lesbian’s fashion sense. He had never gotten over the knit caps baby Gus had been forced to wear, nor the ones Mel used to sport in their younger days.

Lindsay got Melanie to acquiesce by telling her to shut up and accept the designer outfit that they never would have considered buying for themselves.

“Yes, it has,” Mel admitted. They had all been treated like royalty and Mel loved the opportunity to sightsee but mostly the special time she and JR spent together.



*****



“Gus, I’m going to miss you,” Ray said as they walked through the gallery rooms, first to examine Justin’s work and then to the rest of the galleries to see the other pieces on display.

“So am I,” Gus said as he ushered Ray into a quiet corner to give him a hug. Ray reached up to give Gus a kiss. “We have a few more days together and then there’s the summer.”

“You think your Dad will let you come to New York for a visit?”

“You know I’m a summer intern at Kinnetik? Well, Pop is thinking of sending me to the other branches for experience and that includes N’rgy.”

Ray let out a ‘whoop’ as they giggled like children, emerging from their corner to rejoin the family.



*****



“Ready to go home, little man?” John asked Patrick. Patrick was standing in front of a painting of an English cottage. It reminded Patrick of Edna’s Treasures.

“Yeah, Dad. I had the best time but I miss my room and school and Beau and...” John laughed as he gave Patrick a hug.

“I got it. We’ll discuss our return trip at breakfast tomorrow.” Patrick agreed then they returned to the rest of the family.

After breakfast the next morning and travel plans confirmed, Bree wanted to go back to the park to see if Ian was there. She wanted one last game and was hoping to exchange addresses and emails so they could be penpals if Ian agreed. Lindsay and Justin had some gallery business to attend to so Brian and Bree went to the park by themselves. Ian was there, a soccer ball at his feet. Bree ran over to begin their skirmish.

“She’s beautiful,” Henry said as he sat on the bench next to Brian.

“Yes, she is,” Brian agreed. He wasn’t sure what to make of Henry’s appearance so he waited.

“So like her father.”

“That she is.”

“You’re a very lucky man.”

“Yes I am.”

“I wish...”

“Keep your heart open and it’ll happen when you least expect it. It did for me, although I wasn’t a very willing participant at the time. It’ll be different for you,” Brian wisely counseled the younger man.

“You sound very sure of your opinion.”

“I’m never wrong,” Brian stated with confidence.

They sat quietly watching the children at play for the next half hour. The sun was warm for January. After some time a tall distinguished man called out to Ian that it was time to go. Bree took Ian’s hand to lead him to where Brian was sitting. She boldly but politely made the introductions.

“Our children have grown fond of each other,” Ian’s father stated. “I’m amazed that a little American girl is so skillful at football.”

“My Dada was a soccer player; he has trophies,” Bree declared with pride.

“I see, like father like daughter then. And is this your partner?” Ian’s father inquired.

“I’m Henry Higgins. My father runs the London National Gallery. Mr. Kinney’s life partner, Justin Taylor, is currently exhibiting. I hope you and your wife will attend.”

“I’d love to. I’m well acquainted with Taylor’s work. However my former wife finds art boring so I must endure alone unless you would honor me with a private tour. My name is Bennett, Bennett Smythe,” Bennett said as he extended his hand to Henry. Henry took it and felt the sparks fly.

“An unexpected pleasure, isn’t it, Henry?” Brian commented as he arched his brow at Henry. Brian took a business card out to give to Bennett. “Our children want to keep in touch,” Brian said as he ruffled Ian’s hair. The kids said goodbye, promising to write or email. Brian took Bree’s hand as they sauntered away.

“What an interesting man,” Bennett commented as he watched Brian walk away.

“Very perceptive too,” Henry said with a twinkle in his eye.

“Tell me more about the exhibit,” Bennett said smiling as he took Ian’s hand. Henry thought Bennett had a most handsome smile as they all walked along, getting to know each other.

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1149