All About Brian by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Many friends and family examine the enigma that is Brian Kinney.

Story #42 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 29107 Read: 11760 Published: Jan 01, 2018 Updated: Jan 01, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine




All About Brian


Chapter 1





“Mom, can I...” JR began as she walked into Mel’s office.

“Shit, the big toad! I hate him. Asshole! Asshole! Asshole!” Mel grumbled as she furiously scribbled onto a legal pad.

“Mom?” JR said, this time with concern in her voice.

“Oh hi, sweetie.” Mel looked up and smiled at her daughter in spite of her recent outburst. “What can I do for you?” Mel asked calmly.

“Um, Bree just called. She wants to know if I can sleep over at their cottage tonight.”

“Sure, honey. Do you want me to drive you or is someone picking you up?”

“Uncle Jus said he’d be over in about an hour. He said something about putting the finishing touches on a painting.”

“Okay, honey. Go pack for a couple of days just in case.”

“I will,” JR replied cheerfully. Before she could leave the room, Melanie held up open arms, and JR quickly moved into them. Mel gave her daughter a fierce hug.

JR backed out of the room shaking her head as her mother returned to her legal pad with a, “Fucking bastard!”

It was February 2019, life for the families of Edna’s Treasures had returned to normal. Justin’s London debut was more than successful. His reviews were glowing and he had a 'to do' list of special commissions a mile long. After recovering from jet lag, Justin jumped right into artist mode.

Brian too, was busy, in full adman mode with the next phase of the Lethal Motorcycle account and managing from afar the new Kinnetik Isles branch. Several ad execs and a few artists with ties to the ‘old sod’ were planning overseas visits to the new sister company. Brian was relishing in his expanding kingdom.

The children all returned to their schools. Bree and Patrick presented reports on their adventures, complete with pictures and videos. Gus returned to Penn. He missed Ray but they both had responsibilities. They also were planning to get together for the Spring break.

John was deep into his research. It was the slow time for Anderson construction. Gordon and their foreman were handling any new business, giving John the freedom to work on his doctoral thesis. Bobby proudly supported his spouse by taking over most of the household chores … with one condition. He demanded that John take at least one day off per week from his research to spend time recharging with the family and with Bobby. John readily agreed and let the Kinney side of him come out to play with Bobby.

The girls had returned from England closer, and were currently enjoying the Presidents’ week holiday up at their cottage with JR. Melanie slipped off her glasses as she looked out her office door to the sun porch. Lindsay was in her own artistic mode. Mel smiled contentedly as Lindsay was humming softly to herself while she painted. A bowl of colorful fruit sat on a small table near the sun porch wall. Melanie wasn’t quite sure if it was the subject of Lindsay’s canvas or an afternoon snack, but Mel couldn’t have cared less. All she cared about was that Lindsay was happy and painting again. Mel and JR had also grown close during their month alone together. Melanie not only discovered she had a remarkable daughter, she also gained a friend.

Melanie was currently working on her first assignment for her creative writing class. The premise of the assignment was to write about the one person whom you disliked the most in your life and yet who had the greatest impact on it. Her only logical choice was Brian Kinney.

“Arrogant son of a bitch,” Mel cursed again as she ripped the paper off her pad, crumbled it into a ball and threw it into the garbage. She sighed then began again on a fresh sheet of paper, as she lovingly caressed her grandfather's old desk.



*****



Bree climbed up into Brian’s lap. “Dada?” she said.

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian replied looking at her past the papers he had been trying to read, while he was ensconced on the chaise.

“Do you love me?”

“What kind of question is that?” Brian demanded. “Of course I love you. I tell you that all the time.”

“I know, but…”

“But what?”

“Am I spoiled?” Bree asked staring into Brian’s eyes.

“Um … maybe a little bit,” Brian conceded. “Why do you ask?”

“Winona says I’m spoiled.”

“Winona ought to know. She’s one of the most spoiled brats I’ve ever seen.”

Bree giggled. “I think so too, but … she called me spoiled.”

“I thought you two got along better these days?”

“Most of the time, but she isn’t very nice if she doesn’t get what she wants.”

Brian nodded. “And what does she want?”

“She told me I should invite her for a sleepover,” Bree said carefully.

“But you didn’t want to.”

“Nope,” Bree said making her ponytail swish from side to side as she shook her head.

“How come?”

“I like Ashley better or…”

“So you invited JR instead of Winona?”

“Yes.”

“It’s fine that you invited JR,” Brian told his daughter, wrapping his arm around her tiny waist and pulling her closer.

Bree laid her head on Brian’s shoulder. “Does that make me spoiled, Dada?”

“Do you think it does?”

“Winona said I always get what I want and that makes me spoiled.”

“And you didn’t want Winona, and you have JR instead, so you think you got your way and that makes you spoiled?” Brian felt Bree move her cheek up and down against his neck, as she nodded in agreement. “It makes you someone who knows what they want, Squirt. Someone who isn’t afraid to take what they want in life. I think that’s a good trait to have, not a bad one. You shouldn’t be coerced into doing something you don’t want to do.”

“What’s coerced?”

“That’s what Winona tried to do to you. She was trying to force you to invite her over here. That’s coercion.”

“Oh.”

“I’d much rather have my beautiful little girl who might be a touch spoiled than someone like Winona who tries to get her own way through any means that she can. You get your way because we want to give it to you.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said with a sniff. “I love you.”

“Love you too, Squirt.”

They sat silently for a few minutes while Bree digested what her father had told her. Brian hoped he had said the right thing. He wanted to hold onto Bree like this forever. She wasn’t really spoiled, and if she was, it was nobody’s fucking business but theirs.

“Dada, were you spoiled when you were little like me?” Bree asked raising her head to look at her father.

“No, Squirt, can’t say that I was.” He refused to get into the reasons why he wasn’t spoiled. Suffice it to say, he never had the opportunity. “But when I was older, I was pretty spoiled. I spoiled myself,” Brian said thoughtfully.

“Huh? How do you do that?” Bree asked wrinkling her nose, as she tried to figure out what her Dada meant.

“I overindulged myself.” Bree looked quizzically at her father. Brian realized he had to find a better, simpler way to explain. “You know when we have some of Auntie Emm’s popovers?” he asked. Bree nodded. “I’d love to eat fifteen of them.”

Bree giggled. “Nobody could eat fifteen, Dada.”

“There was a time when I would try,” Brian replied.

“But … wouldn’t you get sick?”

“Yes, or hung over or otherwise incapacitated.”

Bree didn’t know what half of those words meant, but she loved that her father talked to her in grown-up words. “Then why would you do it?” she asked.

“Because it felt good at the time.” Someday he might be able to explain to Bree about pain management in all its many forms, but then again, maybe not.

“But then it wouldn’t feel good after, right?” Bree asked.

“That’s right, but if it felt good at the time, I would do it.”

“Don’t you do that anymore?”

“I try not to.”

“That’s good, Dada. I don’t want you to get sick or in-ca-pass-i-tated,” Bree said and then smiled one of those Taylor smiles that grabbed at Brian’s heart. Bree was proud that she had said the word perfectly.

“Me either, Squirt. I’d miss sitting here with you like this.”

“That wouldn’t be good, Dada,” Bree said patting his cheek and shaking her head.

“Bree, Uncle Brian,” JR shouted as she entered Edna’s Treasures.

“Yay!” Bree called as she scooted off her father’s knee and ran towards the front door.

Brian watched her go, thinking how lucky he was to have moments like that with his daughter. He picked up his papers to continue reading where he had left off. He could hear squeals of delight as the girls greeted each other. That made him smile.



*****



“Bree, Ashley’s here,” Justin called out as he opened the front door. Ashley and her mother were standing just outside. Justin ushered them in as he heard, “Yay!” from Bree and JR. Even though JR was a generation older, she seemed to enjoy her time with Bree and Ashley. Bree and Ashley squealed with delight as they saw each other, then grabbing Ashley’s hand, Bree led her friend to her bedroom where JR was waiting.

“You know they’ve only just seen each other two days ago,” Mrs. St. John, Ashley’s mother, murmured.

“I know,” Justin agreed with a bright smile. “Mrs. St. John, would you like some coffee, there’s a fresh pot. Or tea, if you prefer,” Justin offered. It wasn’t often that Ashley’s mother would come to Edna’s Treasures. He or Brian would usually pick up Ashley. With just a slight moment of hesitation, Mrs. St. John accepted his offer.

“Please call me Susanna. Mrs. St. John sounds so stuffy,” Ashley’s mom said as Justin poured a mug full of coffee. Justin smiled as he passed her the milk and sugar.

“After our coffee, would you like a tour of the cottage? You’ve never really spent much time here,” Justin stated.

“I know,” Susanna said with a slight blush to her cheeks. “I’m sorry about that. I’m really not prejudiced but my husband, he...well, let’s just say that’s why we’re no longer together,” Susanna confided.

“I’m sorry,” Justin said as he passed Susanna a plate of cookies.

“Don’t be,” she mumbled around an oatmeal cookie. “Best thing that could have happened to me and Ashley. Our home is a lot more peaceful. Don’t get me wrong, Donald is a good father, he just hasn’t gotten with the program. Ashley is a loving, sweet child. She readily makes friends and I don’t want that part of her to change. I’m afraid that with her father’s constant influence, she’d turn out just like him. These cookies are delicious!”

“Thank you. Bree and I baked them yesterday. They’re her father’s favorite. And I understand how you feel. My own father isn’t very open to alternative lifestyles. It’s been hard on me and Brian. Brian feels guilty that he’s the cause of our estrangement. But it’s hardest on Bree. She doesn’t understand why her grandfather doesn’t like her Dada. It’s gotten better over the years but it’s still not easy.”

“I know what you mean. Ashley and I have had some long discussions about what being prejudiced means. For someone so young, she seems to understand a great deal.”

“That’s probably because she has at least one kind and tolerant parent. More coffee?” Susanna smiled as she nodded then she looked around the room and into the living room. “Is that the famous Kinney portrait?” Susanna asked, indicating the large portrait over the fireplace.

“Yes, it is.”

“It’s amazing how much Kinney and Mr. Kinney look alike. You resemble Patrick as well.”

“It’s one of those mysterious gene things, I guess.”

“Hmm. Legend has it that Kinney did a lot for the land and its people during his time in Bridgeton.”

“You know about Kinney?”

“Some. I was a history teacher before I married and had Ashley. My curiosity peaked when the paintings were found and auctioned for the Farm. I did a little research on Kinney and tried to trace the family.”

“I’d love to see what you dug up. We did some research as well. Before the kids came along, we followed the path of Kinney and Patrick as they journeyed through South America.”

“I’d love to see your research too.”

“Then why don’t you come for dinner tomorrow night and we can compare notes. I bet Ashley and Bree would love it. I know I would.”

“If you don’t think it would be too much trouble?”

“Not at all. We’re used to cooking large around here.” Susanna and Justin laughed.

“I remember Bree’s party. You must have had hundreds of people in and out of here.”

“Seems like it.” Susanna and Justin were quiet for a moment just savoring the quiet and the good coffee.

“I know what Mr. Kinney did,” Susanna admitted all of a sudden.

“What do you mean?” Justin asked as he looked up innocently over his coffee mug.

“I know he paid for that camp scholarship for Ashley.”

“Please don’t be angry...” Justin began, quick to defend Brian’s actions. “I had a part in it too. And the scholarship was for a lot of kids.”

“I realized that after a while. And yes, I was angry for a moment too. How dare he presume that I couldn’t provide for my own child! I almost refused.”

“How did you find out? It was supposed to be a secret.”

“By accident. I still have ties to the school and the camp uses some of the teaching assistants as counselors when possible. Some of the counselors were talking about the new benefactor and about the large donation to the camp, all the renovations that were planned. And of course I know the Harmons. Sheldon is a bit loose lipped when plied with cake. I put two and two together and came up with...”

“Brian.”

“Yes. He does have a habit of riding in on a white horse to save the day, doesn’t he? His charitable work is almost legendary.”

“Oh you’ve got to be kidding me,” Justin exclaimed and blushed. “He’ll have a cow if he finds out that people know what he’s done. I don’t even know all of it. I don’t think anyone really knows except Brian’s accountant and lawyer and they won’t talk. Not if they want to live, that is,” Justin giggled.

“He’s a good man, your Brian. And I won’t say a word. I told you I’m good with history and researching history to get to the real facts. A lot has been written about Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor. That can’t be helped. You’ve both given back to your community, tenfold. It’s something to be proud of. And that’s why I decided to accept the scholarship because it was a gift for Ashley and the children who might not otherwise have had a wonderful summer because of it. And because it was given with the best of intentions. Gifts like those should not be wasted.”

Justin could feel his eyes well up with tears. No one had ever said such kind things about Brian and to have the compliment come from an almost stranger made it worth so much more.

“Another cookie?” Justin asked with the plate in his hand. Susanna smiled as she took one.



*****



“Alone at last,” Lindsay purred as she sauntered through Mel’s office door from the sun porch. The sun was going down making it difficult to continue painting. Lindsay had cleaned her brushes, stowing them away for the next day. Melanie looked up over her computer screen, smiling; Lindsay looked so content.

“You look happy,” Mel remarked.

“I am. I finished a painting,” Lindsay said proudly.

“You did? That’s wonderful, I’m so proud of you.”

“Why?” Lindsay laughed. “You don’t know how it turned out. It could be a stick figure for all you know,” Lindsay said as she leaned up against Mel’s desk.

“Maybe,” Mel said as she played with the top button on Lindsay’s jeans. “But you look so happy. If you’re happy then I’m happy,” Mel murmured as she slowly lowered the zipper then Lindsay’s jeans and underwear.

“What are your intentions?” Lindsay whispered as her mate gently caressed her thighs and butt.

“My intentions are to christen this desk in more ways then one,” Mel replied as she nipped at Lindsay’s dark blond pubes. “You have a problem with that?” Mel asked looking up at her lover.

“Not at all,” Lindsay said as she felt herself positioned on the desk just the way Mel wanted her. “Oh! Not at all,” Lindsay squeaked as Mel’s tongue licked her most sensitive parts.



*****



“Sunshine, I am not happy,” Brian groused from the balcony. He and Justin were in the attic office each working individually from their own respective desks. From the sun porch below, the noise of lots of giggling wafted up.

“Why is that, Brian?” Justin asked nonplussed from his side of the office.

“Because this house is overrun with girls,” Brian complained.

“I don’t think three girls constitutes us being overrun, Brian. We still outnumber them,” Justin assured his spouse, not looking up from his laptop. John and Bobby were preparing dinner. Patrick was on his side of the cottage, out of the girls’ way.

“Humph,” Brian snorted as he walked back to his desk. The latest sales figures from the Lethal Motorcycle campaign were up on a spreadsheet. In another month, Brian was hoping to double them as the Northeast phase of the campaign was launched.

“Brian, they’re having fun and behaving themselves. So quit your bitching,” Justin commanded.

“Yes, dear,” Brian mumbled from behind his computer screen, much to Justin’s satisfaction.



*****



“So am I being ridiculous?” John asked as he stirred a pot of gravy.

“No, I don’t think so,” Bobby replied as he tore up a head of lettuce for their salad.

“Are you disappointed?”

“No, why would I be?”

“Because I’m not dedicating my paper to you or Patrick.”

“But you are.”

“How do you figure that?”

“By dedicating it to your brother, you are dedicating it to all of us by association.”

“You’re losing me in lawyer-speak.”

“John, how did we meet?”

“I got drunk one night and stumbled into the Honey Bear?”

“Not that time, the next time. The real time.”

“Um, Brian nearly threw me at you.”

“Exactly, my point. If it wasn’t Brian’s leap of faith in finding the courage to meet you and Claire and then pushing you to take a chance on us, we wouldn’t be where we all are today. So I think it’s very appropriate that you dedicate your paper on cottages to your brother.”

“Somehow I understood all of that.”

“Good! Now understand this, I love you John Anderson and I am also hungry. So move your ass and get dinner on the table. We have a bunch of hungry children to feed,” Bobby demanded.

“Yes, dear,” John said contritely as he poured the gravy into a gravy boat then began to get their dinner on the table.



*****



“What’s the matter, son?” Dr. Raph asked his adoptive son, Curtis.

“I have a paper to write for my English class and I’m not sure how to go about it,” Curtis explained hesitantly.

“You’ve never had problems before in English. It’s one of your best subjects.”

“I know, I know! It’s just that, I...”

“Take your time. What’s the theme of your paper?” Raph asked trying to be helpful.

“It’s to write about a local hero. Someone who had a great impact on your life.”

“Well, that should be easy. Pittsburgh is home to many famous people including several actors, although most of them are before your time. And then of course there’s Andy Warhol. He was so famous he was nearly infamous.”

“Yeah, I know about him. We’ve studied him in art appreciation. But that’s not really the type of hero the teacher has in mind.”

“Okay, so explain it to me.”

“I don’t want you to get mad at me or disappointed.”

“Why would I get angry? And I have never been disappointed in you. You’ve made me and Hector so proud.”

“The paper is supposed to be on a modern day hero. Someone who’s been a personal hero, someone I look up to or want to be like. At first I thought of you and Hector or even Hunter, Miss Melanie, or Karen. If it weren’t for any one of you my life would be completely different. Who knows if I’d even be alive?”

“Curtis...”

“It’s true, Dad. You know kids on the street don’t last long.”

“Son, why would I be disappointed? It seems like you have many to choose from.”

“Even if I choose Mr. Brian?”

Raph’s eyes grew wide then he smiled as he gave his son a hug.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 2





“Hey babe, how’s the convention going?” Ben asked Michael.

“It would be a lot better if you were here with me,” Michael grumbled into his phone. He was in Chicago at a national comic book convention. As a comic book store owner and one of the creators of Rage, Michael had been asked to speak about the comic business and his own humble beginnings in the business.

“Michael, you know the Spring semester is only a few weeks along, I can’t get away at this time.”

“I know. I think I’m going to suggest they change the timing of these things. If it was during the intersession, you would have been able to come with me.”

“Maybe. Do you think they’ll change the date for next year?”

“I don’t know but I’m sure as hell going to try. Anyway, I just wanted to call before I went to dinner. I’m not sure when this thing is going to end.”

“Hey, you deserve the award. Don’t sound so disappointed.”

“It won’t be the same,” Michael whined. “You’re not here, Justin just got back from England so he didn’t want to go. Brian didn’t want to leave his family, and JR is spending time with her moms.”

“Yes, but you have Lacy and the twins.”

“Oh great. An underage lesbian and the babbling boys. I still have no clue what they’re saying when they talk to each other.”

“Michael, Lacy is far from underage. And the boys, well, they’re identical twins, they can’t help it. Think of it as modern day Brian-speak. You used to be able to translate him fairly well.”

“Not that well. The boys are all right, I guess. But Lacy’s still a lesbian.”

“I’ll give you that,” Ben chuckled. “Michael, I’m very proud of you.”

“Thank you. I miss you. I wish you were here with me.”

“So do I, babe. Have someone take plenty of pictures and I’m with you in spirit.”

“I think they’re taping the whole award program. I’ll try to get us a copy. We can have a dinner party to show everyone.”

“Sounds good to me. Babe, I have some papers to grade.”

“Okay, it’s time for me to go. I think Lacy’s knocking at my door. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay, babe. I love you, Michael.”

“I love you too. Night, Ben.”

“Have a good night, Michael.”



*****



“Michael?”

“Hmm?” Michael snuggled down into his warm overcoat as he watched the streets go by on their way to the convention center. He decided to hire a car for them so they wouldn’t have to deal with cabs. The limo was warm inside but the frigid windy air of Chicago still chilled him. Michael missed his family.

“I just wanted to say thank you, again. I know it really should be Justin with you here, but I’m really happy that you took me,” Lacy said sincerely.

“Us too, Mr. Novotny!” Troi and Tre` chimed in. Michael gazed at the eager faces and couldn’t help but smile.

“All right, I get it. Zephyr and Sateeena will rule the day,” Michael said laughing and shaking his head. “You know, we should make the boys into superheroes too. If we can think of a good name for your characters, we can announce it at the award ceremony.” The boys beamed with delight at the thought that they might join the ranks of Rage, Zephyr and JT.

The limo pulled up to the convention center, Michael opened the door to step out. In the most gentleman-like fashion, he held out his arm for Lacy to take. She smiled as she took his arm. With the twins on their heels, the creators of Rage proudly walked into the center. Just inside the door as they were checking their coats, Lacy had a revelation.

“Let’s keep it simple, the Righteous Brothers?” Lacy suggested. The twins nodded in agreement.

“That would have been great except that name has been taken and a long time before any one of you were born,” Michael said knowingly. He had grown up listening to his mother’s albums of the singing duo. Only slightly put off, Lacy threw out another name.

“The Twins of Triumph?”

“Oooo!” Michael and the boys said at the same time and then laughed heartily knowing they just sounded so much like a certain tall queen who had a way with pastry.

“The Twins of Triumph it is. Let’s all go in and meet our public!” Michael declared as they entered the convention hall.



*****



“So how was your visit with Mrs. St. John?” Brian asked Justin as he wrapped his arms around his husband.

“Her name is Susanna,” Justin chuckled shaking his head at Brian. “Why didn’t you come in and talk to her?”

“Didn’t want to disturb you two.”

“You never disturb me,” Justin replied as he turned around in Brian’s arms. Brian raised an eyebrow. “Well, not unless we’re in bed and then you’re very … disturbing.”

“That’s better,” Brian said. “But what about in the shower?”

“Hm … disturbing.”

“At Babylon?”

“Okay, okay, you are very disturbing … everywhere!” Justin laughed.

“Good,” Brian said with satisfaction. “That’s the way I like it.”

“You might find Susanna’s piece of news a little disturbing,” Justin said rather hesitantly.

“What are you talking about?” Brian asked with a frown. “What piece of news?

“She knows.”

“Knows what?”

“About your subsidies to the camp, and to her daughter in particular.”

“How the fuck…? I’m going to fucking sue that fucking camp. They were specifically told…”

“Hold on, big guy,” Justin said grabbing Brian around the waist and holding on. “Nobody spilled the beans.”

“Then how?”

“Susanna was a teacher and some people she knows have ties to the camp. It just kind of slipped out and she put two and two together.”

“Fuck!”

“She’s a very bright woman.”

“Was she mad?” Brian asked wondering what her reaction had been.

“She said she was when she first found out. She wanted to tell you to stick your charitable offerings.” Brian snorted. “And then she realized she would be depriving not only Ashley but several other children of a wonderful summer experience.”

“As you said, smart woman,” Brian said with a nod.

Justin was about to reveal what else Susanna had found out about Brian, but then thought better of it. “She’s interested in Kinney, the artist, and has done some research on him,” Justin said instead. “We’re going to share what we’ve found.”

“I thought we knew everything that was possible to find out,” Brian said.

Justin shrugged. “You never know. With a different set of eyes, Susanna may have seen something we missed … or she might have found a source we didn’t uncover.”

“Hm,” Brian replied. “Good luck.”

Justin smiled. “I don’t need luck. Anything else we find is gravy.”

“You’re very optimistic.”

“I feel like I made a new friend in Susanna. We should have got together a lot sooner. If she’s anything like her daughter, she’s wonderful,” Justin said confidently.

“And you seem to think she’s a lot like her daughter.”

“I guess.”

“Well, Bree certainly thinks the world of Ashley.”

“I can’t say that about Susanna,” Justin replied. “At least not yet.”

Brian released Justin from their embrace and walked over to the coffeepot. As he poured a mug for himself and one for Justin, he remembered how close Justin and Daphne used to be. Justin had missed his best friend since their lives had grown apart. Their meeting with Daphne in New York had been less than satisfying. Daphne had changed a lot, and she had made a way of life for herself in New York, a way of life that didn’t have room for her old friend, certainly not in the way they had once been so close. The old Daphne, Justin’s best friend, didn’t exist anymore. If Justin could find a new friend in Susanna, then that would be a good thing. Brian handed the mug of coffee to his husband.

“So what’s on the agenda for tonight?” he asked.



*****



“Jason Kemp Center,” Hunter said into the phone as he picked it up. “Hunter Bruckner-Novotny speaking.”

“Hunter,” the man said familiarly, “just the person I need to speak to.”

“Oh?” Hunter replied. He wondered who he was talking to.

“I guess I should introduce myself,” the man said with a chuckle which held no humor.

“That would be helpful.”

“My name is Dennis Hawk. I’m a reporter with the Tribune. I’d like to talk to you about doing a story on the Center.”

“Really? Well, I’d certainly be interested. Any publicity we get usually helps in our fundraising.”

“Yes, it’s always good to raise the public’s consciousness.”

Hunter frowned as he listened to the man. Something seemed just slightly off in the man’s voice. “Um … what sort of angle were you planning to use in this article?”

“Angle?”

Hunter frowned even more. “Every article has an angle. Charities are a dime a dozen. Why do you want to write about the Jason Kemp Center?” Hunter wanted some answers.

“Well … I…”

“Don’t tell me you haven’t thought of the angle you’re going to use.” Or maybe you don’t want to tell me what it is, Hunter thought to himself.

“I know the angle,” Dennis replied. “But you may not like it.”

“Oh?”

“I want to tie the murder of Jason Kemp to the lot of gay street kids. I want to show what can happen to them, and therefore, why the Jason Kemp Center is so important in the community.”

Hunter felt the knot in his stomach loosen just a bit. That sounded right. And it would be nice to have Jason remembered once again. His life had been too short and tragic. If retelling Jason’s story could help some other kids then it was worth a try.

“Are you still there?” Dennis asked when Hunter didn’t respond.

“I’m here, just thinking about what you said.”

“So, are you up for the article?”

In his head Hunter could hear Brian Kinney saying, “I’m always up.” He smiled to himself as he said, “Come on over to the Center and we’ll talk. This sounds like a story that could do a lot of good.”

“I guess it could,” Dennis replied smugly.

Hunter felt his hackles go up once again. This guy had a way of saying things that caused Hunter to have some second thoughts. “Let’s meet face to face and see where things go,” Hunter suggested. Maybe meeting Dennis Hawk would put his concerns to rest.

“How about tomorrow morning?” Dennis asked. “Say at ten?”

“I’ll be here. You know where we’re located?’

“I sure do. See you then.”

The line went dead. Hunter set the phone back on its base. He was going to be very interested in meeting this Dennis Hawk. He couldn’t put his finger on what troubled him about the man, but he knew there was something. He’d have to be very cautious and aware of what the reporter was doing and recording.



******



Michael was sitting on a chair across from one of the young hosts of the comic convention, being interviewed as part of the Q and A portion of the awards dinner. The audience and guests were all enjoying dessert and coffee.

“So Mr. Novotny...”

“Michael, please.”

“Michael, when did your fascination with comics begin?”

“I guess like most kids who grew up with not much money, buying comics was something I could afford. The stories took me away to another time and place.”

“And when you got older you opened your own store?”

“It wasn’t that easy.”

“Tell us about it.”

“One day I went to my favorite comic book store only to find out that my favorite hero was being killed off and the store owner was selling out so he could retire. I was devastated.”

“So then you bought the store?”

“Not hardly. Buzzy, that’s the guy who owned the store, wanted a lot of money. He was going to sell his whole inventory with the shop.”

“So how did you arrange it?”

“My best friend had given me a very special comic, a mint 1st edition of Captain Astro, for my birthday.” The whole audience let out a collective gasp at the name of the legendary comic book hero. “He helped me to auction it off for the down payment on the store.”

“Wow! I’m not sure if I’d be able to give up Captain Astro, Number One,” the interviewer commented as many in the audience nodded.

“I know, I almost couldn’t do it myself but it was worth it,” Michael said with a huge grin. The audience applauded. “Without giving up Captain Astro, we might not have Rage.” The audience went wild at the sound of one of their favorite heroes.

“Tell us about Rage. Is it true that he’s based on your real life friend?”

“Yes, it’s true. We met in high school. He was my hero back then as well as my best friend. I guess he’s still my hero, but he’d kill me if he heard me say that.” The audience laughed as Michael did. “Seriously, he’s a good friend. He’s always been there for me and has never let me down. And when things look bad, he’s there to help.”

“Kinda like Rage?”

“Exactly like Rage.” The audience cheered.

“And some of our audience wants to know...” the interviewer held up some cards. “Is the real Rage as good looking as his counterpart?”

“Better...waaaay better. And he only gets better as he gets older! But seriously, the real Rage doesn’t run around Gayopolis in tights, he has a longtime life partner and a couple of kids. He does contribute to several charities, is responsible for helping to get homeless kids off the streets and helps his family when any of us need him. He’s not a saint, just a man with a really big...heart,” Michael said, giggling with the audience at the innuendo.
“I’m proud to call him my friend and grateful too.” The audience applauded at Michael’s obvious sincerity.

“Any words of advice for our audience? There may be some young entrepreneurs out there.”

“I’ve been very lucky. My only advice is to never give up. Find a way to follow your dream if you believe that dream worthy. And don’t be afraid to ask for help. It’s okay not to have all the answers because there’s a good chance someone you know may just have the answer you’re looking for.” The interviewer and audience clapped loudly.

“Any last words before your fans and fans of Rage get to meet you and our other honored guests?” There were tables and kiosks set up for each award winner and special guest.

“Um, yes. You’ll be the first to hear about Rage’s latest and new superhero friends, The Twins of Triumph! They’ll be winging their way through Gayopolis soon.” The audience jumped to their feet and the room shook with their applause.

“You heard it first! The Twins of Triumph!” the interviewer shouted above the crowd, before he shook Michael’s hand and they walked off the dais so that Michael could meet his fans.



*****



“Ungh!” Brian came with a satisfied groan, collapsing down on Justin’s back. Justin squeezed Brian’s hand, their fingers entwined during their lovemaking.

“Mmm, that was great,” Justin purred as he settled down onto his pillow. He loved the feel of Brian’s solid weight on him. Brian kissed his shoulder.

“I’m not too heavy?” They were still connected but Justin could feel Brian slowly slipping out.

“Unh unh,” Justin sighed. He loved it; he held Brian’s hand closer to his body. “Love you,” Justin mumbled as he felt himself drifting off.

“Me too. You going to sleep.”

“Maybe. Why?” Justin perked up slightly.

“I thought maybe you could...”

“Could what?” Justin was wide awake now and intrigued.

“Reciprocate,” Brian murmured.

“You have an itch that needs to be scratched?” Justin asked. Since returning from London, Brian had felt the need to be the dominant during their lovemaking. Justin understood and never complained. He knew it was only a matter of time until Brian relaxed enough to want to bottom again.

“Yeah,” Brian whispered almost too softly to be heard even though he was inches away from Justin’s ear.

Justin slowly ground his ass against Brian. With the weight of Brian on top of him and the friction of the sheet against his dick, Justin was beginning to get hard. Brian kissed Justin’s back in between his shoulder blades. Brian was still soft but it didn’t matter to Brian. It wasn’t his dick he was concerned with at the moment. Justin loosened his grip on Brian’s hand so that he could roll over.

With their positions now reversed, Justin on top of Brian’s back, Justin found their convenient tube of lube in the bedside table. He efficiently but gently prepared Brian then entered him in one slicked up move. Brian groaned with pain and pleasure as he and Justin entwined their fingers.

Brian was remarkably tight. Justin didn’t waste any stroke, angling himself to hit Brian’s sweet spot time and time again. Brian shuddered as he quietly came. With his spouse completely relaxed, Justin leaned back then grabbed Brian’s hips to pull him up higher. Justin’s thrusts came faster and stronger until he felt his balls draw up. He came with a grunt. Holding Brian steady, Justin gently withdrew from his lover.

When his brain began to function and he stopped chanting the “I fucked Brian Kinney” mantra, Justin got out of their bed to get a cloth to clean his already sleeping spouse. Justin smiled at Brian’s telltale wheezes that indicated he was deep in slumber land. Justin ran the damp warm cloth over Brian’s skin cleaning away the majority of the evidence of their loving. Justin returned the cloth to their bathroom then crawled back into bed.

As Justin covered them both with their thick warm blankets, the sleeping Brian snuggled closer to Justin.

“I love you,” Justin whispered as his eyelids began to droop. He softly smiled as Brian murmured something unintelligible in response as he gave Justin a gentle squeeze.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 3





“Ashley!” Bree called as she ran out of the school for recess.

Ashley had already been out of class for a few minutes. She was sitting on a mound of snow warmly wrapped in her snowsuit. She looked very thoughtful as she glanced up at Bree and waved. Bree raced over to her friend.

“What are you doing?” Bree asked as she plunked herself down beside her friend. “The teacher made us stay in, cuz somebody made a mess at the sand table and wouldn’t clean it up.”

“Was it Jacob?” Ashley asked, rolling her eyes.

“Yep, he finally admitted it. He has to stay in and clean it up. No recess for him,” Bree chuckled. “So, why are you sitting here?”

“Just thinking.”

“About what?”

“We got an assignment this morning.”

“Oh? What do you have to do?”

“I have to tell the class about somebody who has influenced my life.”

“That would be your mommy,” Bree said quickly.

“It’s not supposed to be our parents.”

“Oh, then who is it apposed to be?” Bree wanted to know.

Ashley sighed. “Somebody who has influenced my life,” she repeated.

“What does that mean?”

“I don’t know,” Ashley replied. “I guess it’s somebody who has done something for you or … I don’t know.”

Bree frowned. “That’s hard. And it can’t be your mom?”

“Nope! The teacher said we should be creative with who we choose.”

“Creative? Like a picture?” Bree asked hopefully. She could help Ashley with that.

“I guess I could bring a picture, but I have to mostly talk. And I have to decide who to do.”

“Can you think of anybody?”

“I thought of you,” Ashley said.

“Me?” Bree’s eyes got very big.

“Yeah, ‘member when you were going to kick the ass of the kids who were calling me ugly?”

“Oh, yeah,” Bree said, although she didn’t like to think about that. They hadn’t picked on Ashley since, at least not that Bree knew about.

“You were so brave.”

“I was kind of scared too, but they made me so mad. My daddies told me that we should talk to the teacher, and we did. And Patrick said he would help too, if we needed him.”

“Yeah, it was great,” Ashley said with her little smile that made her face light up.

“I’m glad you’re my friend,” Bree said earnestly.

“Me too,” Ashley replied as the two girls hugged each other … hard.

“So who are you going to talk about?” Bree asked as they broke apart.

“I don’t know.”

“You’ll figure it out,” Bree said confidently. “You’re smart.”

Ashley smiled as the bell rang and they both got up to go back into the school.



*****



“Hunter?” Dennis Hawk said as he entered the office at the Jason Kemp Center, and saw the young man sitting behind the desk.

“Yes, Hunter Novotny-Bruckner,” Hunter said standing and extending his hand. “You must be Mr. Hawk.”

The man nodded as they shook hands. Hunter could see the guy sizing him up, and Hunter was doing the same.

“Have a seat,” Hunter said.

Dennis sat down in the chair on the other side of Hunter’s desk. “Have you worked here long?” Dennis asked.

Hunter thought the man didn’t waste any time on pleasantries, but that was okay. “I’ve been here since the place opened.”

“Oh?”

“I thought you would have known that when you were doing your research for this story,” Hunter replied.

“I did actually,” Dennis admitted. “But I don’t like to reveal too much of what I know. Sometimes I find I get more interesting information if I play dumb.”

“That works for you?” Hunter asked. He had never found playing dumb was a particularly good idea.

Dennis shrugged. “So, what can you tell me about this place?”

“I thought maybe we could start with a tour,” Hunter explained. “That would give you a feel for what we’re about.” Dennis didn’t seem very enthusiastic about taking a tour, but he nodded anyway and Hunter stood up. “This way,” Hunter said ushering the reporter out of his office. He was going to have to handle this carefully, Hunter warned himself. Something still felt … off.



*****



“Hey, JR,” Curtis said as he saw JR a couple of people ahead of him in the cafeteria line.

“Hi, Curtis.”

“Can we sit together? I want to talk to you about something.”

“Sure, I guess,” JR replied wondering what Curtis wanted.

They got their meals and found a couple of seats at the end of one of the tables in the bustling cafeteria of the high school.

“What do you want to talk about?” JR asked.

“Your Uncle Brian.”

“Uncle Brian? Why?” JR asked in surprise.

“I have to write a paper about someone who’s had a great impact on my life, and I’m thinking of doing it on your Uncle Brian,” Curtis replied.

JR looked thought. “Yeah, I guess he did affect your life,” she said after a moment. She knew about the knife incident and how her Uncle Brian didn’t press charges, and then got Curtis into Hunter’s care. “Uncle Brian’s had a big impact on lots of people’s lives.”

“You?” Curtis asked in surprise.

“Yeah,” JR chuckled.

“What’s so funny?”

“A few years ago Uncle Brian sent my moms on a vacation to Florida.”

“Wow,” Curtis said.

“That’s not the funny part.”

“What is?”

“I put some of Grandma Deb’s lasagna in the microwave one day while they were away.”

“And the funny part would be…?” Curtis said.

“Be patient,” JR warned.

Curtis smiled at her. “Certainly,” he replied.

“I forgot it was in an aluminum foil container.”

“Uh oh.”

“Exactly,” JR grinned as she ate some of her salad.

“It blew up?”

“Yep.”

“So what does Mr. Kinney have to do with that?”

“I called him and he helped me get rid of the microwave. Then he went with me to pick out a new one that looked just like the old one. He paid for it, and everything, and he didn’t tell the moms.”

“That was cool.”

“Yeah.”

“But where’s the funny part?”

“He wanted to check the electricity after I blew up the microwave, and he ended up renovating the whole damn house,” JR giggled. “He had plumbers and electricians come over and they rewired everything and fixed the plumbing.”

“He paid for all that?” JR nodded. “Maybe I could blow up our microwave and he could renovate our place,” Curtis joked.

“I don’t think it works quite like that,” JR cautioned. “But he always comes through if you need him.”

“What did your mothers say about what he did?”

“We weren’t supposed to tell the moms.”

“Didn’t they notice?”

“Eventually, but it was fun pretending nothing had changed.”

“Your Uncle Brian is a cool dude.”

“I know.”

“Got any more stories about him? I might be able to use some of them in my paper.”

“Sure,” JR said as she continued to eat her salad.

Curtis grinned at her as he dug into his own lunch.



*****



“How’s your paper coming?” Lindsay asked Mel. Melanie appeared to be totally engrossed in her work.

“It’s not, so I’m taking a break. I’m working on some notes for a divorce case. It seems that divorce is easier to write about than Brian Kinney,” Melanie said with a sneer.

Lindsay chuckled at her wife’s quandary. “Would you like some help? With your paper, I mean. Divorce cases make me nervous,” Lindsay admitted. The girls had come too close several times in the past to permanently splitting up. “I have known Brian longer than you have.”

“Honestly, I thought about asking you but I really need to do this on my own. You wouldn’t ask me to help you paint one of your paintings, would you?”

“Heavens, no. Okay, I see your point. I guess I’ll go start on dinner,” Lindsay said leaving Mel to her work.



*****



“How’s your dedication coming?” Bobby asked as he rounded the top of the spiral staircase and into their office.

“I’ve built houses in less time than it’s taking to write this thing,” John said with exasperation.

“Aw, poor baby. May I suggest you keep it simple. Such as, ‘I devote this work to my brother Brian Kinney, without his influences, my life would be a helluva a lot duller.’ You can quote me,” Bobby said smugly, chuckling as he scurried back down to the relative safety of their kitchen.

“Wise ass,” John mumbled then got back to work.



*****



“Brian?”

“Miss Leda, I do declare!” Brian teased with an exaggerated drawl. “What can little ole me do for you, shhuga?”

“You can stop being an asshole and tell me if we’re on for the next phase of the campaign,” Leda demanded.

“It must be an uber dyke thing,” Brian grumbled. “None of you have a sense of humor, and before you try to bite my head off through the phone, the answer is yes. We’re all set. But I told you that we’re waiting for March. If we get a freak blizzard or something, your bikes are going to be holed up somewhere and not out on the road like we want. So cool your jets and let my people do what you hired us to do!”

Leda grumbled.

“What was that?” Brian innocently asked.

“Asshole!”

“Ah, that’s what I thought you said. Y’all have a nice night now, ya hear!” Brian hung up his phone.

“You really are a bastard sometimes, you know that,” Bobby remarked as he came up the spiral stairs into Brian’s office just opposite his and John’s. He was shaking his head, although he was wearing a grin.

“I know. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it. And you must admit, I excel at bastard and asshole,” Brian said proudly. “What brings you up here to my inner sanctum, your hubby throw you out of his?”

“Just letting you know dinner is almost ready. I didn’t feel like shouting. It’s nice and quiet tonight.”

“Yes, it is. The kids all concentrating on homework. John with his cottage paper. Justin is elbow deep in paint and I have a campaign and a new branch to play with. What about you?”

“Surprisingly enough, and given the precarious state of the economy, I am knee deep in charitable grants and funds. Some people have finally realized that we better get our heads out of our collective asses and start taking care of our own. No one else is going to do it for us.”

“Amen, brother. So does that mean organizations like the Farm and the clinic are okay?”

“Both of those are set for life. You can even cut back on your personal contributions if you like.”

“No, I can’t think of anywhere else my money is better spent. Other than college tuition and keeping a certain young lady in pink and purple apparel. Although, that collection the Sarah Kingsley sent over will keep Bree in the pink for the entire season. We’ll keep my contributions just as they are.”

“I thought so but it never hurts to check with you. You’re a good man, Brian Kinney.”

“Hush, now, Big Red. I just might get a swelled head,” Brian teased.

“And this is where I make a discreet retreat,” Bobby replied. “Dinner,” Bobby said as a reminder.

“I’ll be right down,” Brian assured him as he began to save his work then shut down his computer. Just before he got up from his desk, the phone rang.

“Kinney.”

“Brian, it’s Hunter.”

“The master of social work, what can I do for you, kiddo?”

“Nothing that wouldn’t get us in a shitload of trouble. Listen, I do have a potential problem so I wanted to get your input.”

Brian stiffened. “I’m listening.”

“I got a call from a reporter, Dennis Hawk from the Tribune. He wants to do a story about gay boys on the street.”

“So what’s the problem? You’ve done dozens of those interviews over the years. Maybe he wants to know how the clinic fared over the holidays. I know the classic holiday film festival at the theater was a success. You were able to put a lot of well earned salaries in the pockets of your kids. And I heard the Village shops did well. That New Year’s party you threw at the bowling alley was the talk of Liberty and beyond for a month.”

“You were gone for a month, how do you know all this?”

“I have spies everywhere. I repeat, what’s the problem?”

“I don’t know. Something about him bothers me.”

“Then I say go with your instincts. They kept you alive under the most dire of circumstances. I’ll have him checked out. In the meantime, go slow with him. Don’t let him know you suspect him but try to limit his contact with any of your kids. Let your staff know what you suspect. They’ve all been around the block a few times. They’ll know how to handle themselves, especially Karen. She’s a pitbull.”

Hunter laughed. “I’ll let her know what you think of her. But I agree on your assessment. She was crucial with Curtis and getting those Hardigans out of business.”

The boys paused for a moment at the memory of that time.

“Hunter, trust yourself. I know I do. I’ll be here if you need me.”

“Thanks, Brian.”

“Anytime.”

“Tell blondie I can still give him a run for his money,” Hunter said laughing just before they hung up.

“I’ll tell him,” Brian replied as he hung up the phone. He quickly jotted down Hawk’s name then went down to join his family for dinner.

“Hey,” Justin said as Brian approached the dinner table. They were all at the Anderson-Morrison side of Edna’s Treasures. “I was about to send Beau out to fetch you. We were waiting for you.”

“Even John tore himself away from his research to get here on time,” Bobby added.

“Sorry about that,” Brian apologized as he helped to prepare a plate for Bree. “Hunter just called.”

“Is he okay?” John asked as he passed the potatoes.

“He’s fine. He got a call from a reporter looking to do a story on street kids.”

“Nothing unusual there, is there?” Justin asked, his blues eyes searching Brian’s face.

“He’s not sure. He got the ‘uh-oh’ feeling about the guy.”

“So I take it, it’s not the Connolly’s,” John inquired.

“No. Someone that I haven’t heard of.”

“You gonna check him out?” Bobby asked knowingly, passing a plate of sauteed green beans.

Brian nodded.

“Good,” the three other men stated. No other explanation was necessary. Dinner proceeded with peace.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 4






“Daddy, can Ashley come over and play on the weekend?”

“Hm, you need to check with your Dada about that.”

“Is it okay with you?” Bree asked staring at her father with her violet eyes and batting them gently to make her point.

“I don’t see why not.”

“Can we have a sleepover?”

“Oh, now that’s another question,” Justin said carefully. He was peeling potatoes for dinner. “You definitely need to talk to your Dada about that.”

“Okay, I will, but is it okay with you?”

“I … I guess so. Yes, it’s okay with me … but only if Dada says so.”

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said with a sunshine smile. She skipped out to the sun porch to find her other father. There was no sign of him anywhere. She looked up at his office and saw that the door was open. Carefully she climbed the spiral staircase until she stood in the open doorway of Brian’s office. She looked at her father who was studying the computer screen in front of him. He didn’t seem to realize that she was there.

She was about to say something when she thought better of it. If she interrupted whatever her father was doing, that might make him mad and then he wouldn’t let her have Ashley come on the weekend for a sleepover. She decided to wait. She stood still, hoping her father would finish whatever he was doing. She waited and waited, but her father continued to look at the computer screen not at her. After what seemed like hours to her, but was really only a couple of minutes, her good intentions started to peter out. She shifted from foot to foot and finally let out a little sigh.

Brian stretched his arms above his head and then looked at the little girl standing in the doorway. “What’s up, Squirt?”

“Are you done, Dada?”

“For now. Have you been waiting?”

“Yep, for a long, long time,” she said earnestly.

Brian smiled at her. He had heard her come up the stairs a couple of minutes earlier, but he supposed to Bree that was like an eternity. She had waited patiently even if it was only for a couple of minutes. “What can I do for you?” he asked.

“Daddy says it’s okay for Ashley to some on the weekend and have a sleepover, if it’s okay with you and I really want her to come, so is it okay with you?” Bree used the same look in her violet eyes that had worked on her other father. She batted her lashes slowly as she waited for her Dada’s reply.

“That’s what your Daddy said, was it?”

Bree nodded her head emphatically making her ponytails bounce around. “Yep.”

“Maybe I should talk to Daddy first before I give you my response,” Brian said, waiting to see what her reaction would be.

“Oh no, Dada, you have work to do, and Daddy said it was okay. Just say it’s okay and then you can go back to work,” Bree said hastily. She didn’t want her father’s conferring and figuring out how she was trying to wangle Ashley’s invitation for the weekend.

“I’m done working,” Brian said.

“Oh?” Bree said looking somewhat crestfallen. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Oh.”

“I can go talk to Daddy right now.”

“You don’t need to,” Bree said quickly, but her voice didn’t sound nearly as confident as it had a minute before.

“I seem to be getting a sense that you don’t want me to talk to Daddy about this. Could I be right?” Brian asked trying not to laugh at the look on Bree’s face. It was somewhere between desperation and panic.

Bree frowned and stared at her father. It seemed that the jig was up; she had been found out. She looked down at the floor and scuffed the toe of her slipper against it. “You can talk to Daddy if you want to,” she said in a whisper, having given up on her plan that she had been sure would work.

“But you don’t want me to?”

“No,” Bree replied staring at the toe of her slipper as it slid against the floor.

“Come here, Squirt.”

Bree looked up and into her father’s face. He didn’t seem to be mad, so she ventured into the office and over to his desk. She stopped when she got to his chair. Brian reached down and lifted her onto his knee.

“I love you, Dada,” Bree said wrapping her arms around his neck.

“I love you too,” Bran said smiling as he felt her head nuzzle against his cheek.

“Can Ashley come for a sleepover?” Bree ventured to ask again.

“After I talk to Daddy.”

Bree heaved a sigh. “Okay.”

“Did your Daddy really say it was all right for Ashley and you to have a sleepover?”

Bree was about to say yes when she realized that her father was going to talk to her Daddy, and he would find out what she had tried to do. She decided the truth was probably the best idea. “He said I should ask you and it was okay with him if it was okay with you.”

“But he didn’t give you permission without asking me?” Brian asked.

Bree shook her head making her ponytails swing from side to side. “Not really,” she said.

“It’s not a good idea to try to play your father and me like that,” Brian counseled.

“Huh?”

“You wanted me to believe you already had your father’s permission, when you really didn’t. Isn’t that right?”

Bree nodded. “But how did you know?”

“Because I was your age once.”

Bree frowned. “You were?”

“Yes, unbelievably I was,” Brian chuckled. “And I remember how these things work.”

“Oh.”

“So keep that in mind when you try your manipulations again.”

“Manip-you…?”

“Manipulations, Squirt. There’s time enough for those when you’re older.”

“Okay, Dada, I won’t do it again.”

“I’m afraid you will, so don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

Bree wasn’t sure what her father meant by that. She would be very careful about her manip-yous in the future. “I won’t promise if you don’t want me to,” she said.

“That isn’t exactly what I meant,” Brian chuckled. He should have left well enough alone.

“So, can Ashley come for a sleepover?”

“I think that would be all right.”

“Yay,” Bree reacted throwing her arms around Brian’s neck once again. “Can I call her and tell her?”

“I think that would be acceptable,” Brian agreed as he picked up the phone on his desk. “Here you go,” Brian said handing Bree the phone before lifting her up so that he could stand. He placed her down in his big office chair. “Don’t be too long, Squirt.”

“’Kay, Dada, thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Brian left the office and walked down the stairs as Bree dialed Ashley’s number. He went into the kitchen.

“Did she get your permission to have Ashley for a sleepover?” Justin asked from where he was preparing dinner.

“With a little manipulation.”

“I wondered if she’d try that. What did you do?”

“I called her on it.”

“Good for you.”

“Yeah, right,” Brian said shaking his head.

“So, Ashley’s not coming on the weekend?” Justin asked, as he heard the funny tone in Brian’s voice.

“Bree’s in my office calling Ashley now … to arrange their weekend together.”

Justin chuckled. “How did that happen?”

“She admitted what she had tried to do and said she wouldn’t do it again,” Brian replied.

“And you gave in.”

“I was going to let her have Ashley over anyway. We’re not doing anything special this weekend.”

“But she got her way.”

“But she knows I’m onto her.”

“I was onto you for years. I told you that many times, and look where that got you,” Justin laughed.

Brian frowned. He wasn’t sure what Justin meant. He had handled Bree just right, or so he had thought. He poured himself some coffee and headed back up to his office. He had some thinking to do.



*****



“So do you really think the Squirt pulled a fast one on me?” Brian asked as he and Justin were cuddled on the sofa in front of the fire. The cottage was quiet. The kids were asleep and John and Bobby had turned in for the night. Justin had worked on another commissioned painting for a few hours after dinner while Brian had gone over Briana’s homework. Brian built a roaring fire and now they were sharing a brandy and an afghan before going to bed.

“No, not really. I was only teasing you. I’m glad you called her on trying to play us. She needs to know that we’ll always be available to her and will listen to any reasonable requests she makes, but I won’t be tricked into agreeing with her. We don’t have any definite plans for this weekend so if I don’t mind if the girls have a sleepover,” Justin explained reasonably.

Brian said nothing but Justin felt him relax.

“You were really worried about it, weren’t you?” Justin said as he examined Brian’s face.

“A little,” Brian revealed. “It’s one thing when the guys try to pull a fast one on me or tease me that Bree has me wrapped around her little finger or that you lead me around by my balls. It’s another thing if you believe it.”

“Brian, I might tease you a little about spoiling our daughter but it is tempered with a lot of common sense. It may look to the world that Bree gets everything she wants but we know she doesn’t. And her requests have never been that unreasonable. She's precocious, I’ll admit, but she isn’t manipulative in a bad way. She’s just doing what any normal kid does with two somewhat indulgent parents. I know I tried to pull that shit on my parents all the time especially when Molly was a baby. They were so busy with her that I was able to get away with some things until my dad got wise to me.” Justin sighed then took the snifter from Brian so he could have a sip of brandy.

“Justin,” Brian began as he cupped Justin’s chin with his hand. “It’s okay to love your father and to think about the fun you had with him when you were a kid. It’s okay to hang on to those good memories. Jack was a for shit father, but every once in a while he had his moments,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Yeah?”

“Yeah.”

“Tell me,” Justin whispered as he snuggled into Brian’s arms. Brian pulled the afghan up around them both as he told Justin about the night Jack met Gus.

“I think he was finally proud of me for a few minutes that night,” Brian said trying to control the hitch in his voice. “And Lindsay, she was so beautiful. Any father would be proud to have her for a daughter-in-law.”

Brian felt Justin nod in agreement.

“Gus was such a beautiful baby. He had one of those stupid caps on his head. You know how the girls used to dress him.”

Justin giggled softly.

“The old man held Gus in his arms like he had been handling babies all his life.”

“He did have two kids.”

“Yeah, well, sometimes I wish we had more time. Maybe he’d...”

Justin turned in Brian’s arms then gently took the snifter out of Brian’s hand to place it on the coffee table.

“He loved you, Brian. Just as I know Craig did love me, your father loved you. He was dying and you gave him the most precious gift you could. You gave him life, Bri.”

Justin hugged Brian hard, wrapping his arms around Brian’s waist as he laid his head down on Brian’s chest. Brian said nothing as he held onto the love of his life.



*****



“Hey, Curtis,” JR waved as the young man strolled into the lunch room. He took a seat next to his friend. “How’s your assignment going?”

“Okay, I guess. It’s not so easy writing about someone I hardly know.”

“But you do know him. He’s kind, very handsome and can be very funny.”

“He’s also scary.”

“Yeah, he can be but not all the time. And only when it really counts. All that shouting he does sometimes, he doesn’t mean it. He just...”

“Just what?”

“Feels things, really deep. Sometimes my mom would say some bad things about him,” JR admitted, blushing with embarrassment. “They didn’t know I’d see the look on Uncle Brian’s face. He’d be hurt and I wished that...”

“What?”

“I wished I had the balls to tell Uncle Bri that I think my mother was wrong for always putting him down.”

JR was trying to hold back the tears in her eyes. She didn’t want to make a spectacle of herself in the middle of the school lunch room. That was so uncool.

“Mr. Kinney’s really smart, right?”

“He sure is,” JR said as she wiped her eyes.

“I’m sure he knows that you’re on his side.”

“I don’t take sides.”

“But you love your uncle, don’t ya?”

“Yeah, I do. A lot.”

“Then I’m thinking a smart man like him, knows how much you love him,” Curtis said with a big smile.

“Yeah?” JR said wiping away an errant tear.

“Yeah. You better eat up, lunch is almost over,” Curtis said as he took a big bite out of his sandwich.

“Yeah!” JR said with a smile as she bit into her own sandwich as well.



*****



“Bobby Morrison.”

“Hey, Bobby, how’s the law life in Harrisburg?” Melanie asked.

“About the same as Pittsburgh. How can I help you?”

“I don’t know if I told you but I’m taking a creative writing course and my first assignment is to write about the one person I dislike the most but who had the deepest impact on my life.”

“And you’re calling me because?”

“Because I really need to know the facts about that trust fund the ass...”

“Mel.”

“That Brian set up for my kids.”

“He is the father of one of those kids.”

“I know.”

“And you have no business asking. You of all people know that I’m bound by client-lawyer...”

“Blah, blah, blah. Bobby, I just want to know how much.”

“Enough.”

“Enough what?”

“It’s enough. I’m not giving you a figure.”

“Bobby!”

“No, Melanie. I could go before the board of professional ethics if you push this.”

“Fuck you!”

“Fuck you too, Mel! Drop it.”

“Please, Bobby, I have to know. Are my kids really going to be provided for?”

“Melanie!” Bobby shouted into the phone. He felt like slamming down the receiver, instead he put it down on the desk then took a few deep breaths. “Mel, all I can tell you, all that I’m allowed to tell you, is that at the age of twenty-five Gus and JR will have enough that if they didn’t want to earn a living on their own, they could live comfortably off the interest of the fund. He set the same thing up for Bree and Patrick, much to my objections. But he insisted, saying what good is all his fucking money if he couldn’t do what the fuck he fucking wanted to. And that’s a direct quote.”

“Shit!”

“Tell me about it. John was livid but he understood Brian’s need to do it. Brian wanted the kids to be able to tap into the fund when they reached twenty-one. John was pushing for thirty.”

“So they compromised.”

“Yes. Now why the interrogation?”

“Because I’m writing about him,” Mel said through gritted teeth. Bobby cracked up with laughter. “Fuck you, Bobby. This is serious,” Mel shouted over Bobby’s laughter.

“You have got to be kidding me.”

“I wish I was. I really wish there was someone else in my life that irritated me more than Brian but there isn’t. He’s the most aggravating, the most arrogant fucking bastard that I know. And yet he’d shelled out god knows how much money to fix my house. Not to mention all the times he arranged to fix my marriage, and he sets up a trust fund for a kid who isn’t his. God Bobby, I hate him so fucking much that I love the asshole.”

“I know what you mean.”

“You? I don’t understand. You and he are so close. He loves you.”

“And I love him. Mel, you just don’t know.”

“Wait a minute. You don’t mean to say. You and he haven’t...”

“God, no. But that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about it. He’s fucking gorgeous.”

“I guess, for a man. But you haven’t.”

“I have never ever broken my vow of fidelity to John. But that doesn’t mean that a hundred years ago if we had met before I made my commitment, that if I had met Brian Kinney in some club or bar, I wouldn't have dropped trou in a heart beat.”

“TMI, Bobby.”

“You know what I mean. But there’s a helluva lot more to Brian Kinney than sex.”

“I’m beginning to realize that. Thanks, Bobby.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Are you going to report me?”

Bobby chuckled. “No. The big guy gave me permission to speak in generalities if I was pushed by you or Lindsay. I haven’t violated his trust.”

“Good. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

After Bobby terminated his call with Melanie, he called the house.

“Kinney.”

“Hey, big guy.”

“Red! How’s it hanging? You going to be late for dinner? I’m baking some fish.”

“I’ll be home on time. I just wanted to let you know that Mel called me asking about the terms of the trust fund. I let her know just what we agreed upon.”

“Did she go for it?”

“Hook, line and sinker. Brian, the kids...”

“Will never have to worry if they have enough for their next meal or to pay their mortgage. We made sure that they can’t spend it frivolously or be taken for a ride.”

“Yes, Brian, we made sure.”

“Then I’ll see you at dinner.” Brian terminated the conversation. Bobby went back to work so he could be home on time for dinner.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 5






“Mr. Hawk, what are you doing here?” Hunter asked as he looked up at the sound of someone at his office door.

“I told you to call me Dennis.”

“I repeat, why are you here, Mr. Hawk? We didn’t schedule another meeting,” Hunter said ignoring what Hawk had just told him.

“I have a few more questions,” Dennis replied seating himself across the desk from Hunter. He didn’t wait to be asked.

Hunter studied the man for a moment before asking, “So what do you want to know?”

“I’ve been doing some research.”

“I thought you would have done that before you came here the first time.”

Dennis tried not to glare at the young man across from him, but Hunter saw the look that passed across his face. Hunter knew he didn’t like this man.

“I understand Brian Kinney had a lot to do with this foundation,” Dennis began.

‘Bingo!’ Hunter thought to himself. Now we’re getting to the point. “That’s correct,” he said aloud.

“What exactly is Mr. Kinney’s relationship with the Jason Kemp Center?”

“There isn’t one.”

“What do you mean? I found in my research that he bought all this block of buildings and his brother did all the renovations. Doesn’t he still own this clinic?”

“We rent from him, but we pay our own way,” Hunter replied.

“I don’t see how that’s possible.”

“Charitable donations, which is exactly what I was hoping your article would help to augment, but I’m beginning to have my doubts.”

“So, Kinney doesn’t contribute anything to this place?”

“No more than any other concerned citizen.” Although that wasn’t exactly true, that was all Hunter was prepared to say.

“You’re quite close with him?”

“One of my adopted father’s is his best friend. We spend some time together at family gatherings,” Hunter admitted.

“Family gatherings? You mean that a… that Kinney has a family?”

“Surely you must have read about his partner Justin Taylor, the artist, and he has children.”

“I don’t believe everything I read.”

“Even when it’s your fellow journalists who write it?” Hunter asked pointedly.

“I take most crap in newspapers with a grain of salt. Anything can be skewed to make it sound however you want.” The venom in Hawk’s voice was seeping through.

“Mr. Hawk, I think maybe I made a mistake in granting this interview,” Hunter said. “Maybe we should just forget the whole thing.”

“No, no, don’t do that,” Dennis replied hastily. “I promise to be fair and truthful in whatever I write.”

Hunter thought over what the man had just said. “I have your promise that you won’t write anything that isn’t the truth?”

“You do,” Dennis replied, knowing that whatever he might dig up about Kinney would be the truth, but that wouldn’t stop him publishing it, even, or maybe especially, if it was bad.

Hunter frowned. He still had major misgivings. “I hope you don’t intend to do some hatchet job on the clinic. We help a lot of kids who really need it.”

“I’m sure you do,” Dennis said starting to relax. “I have just a few more questions.”



*****



“Come in,” Justin said as he answered the door. “Bree, Ashley’s here,” he called.

With a squeal of delight, Bree came racing to the door. She and Ashley jumped up and down and hugged before racing off to Bree’s room to play.

“I guess I don’t even rate a kiss goodbye,” Susanna said with a little laugh. She handed Justin an overnight bag. “I think I packed everything she’ll need.”

“I’m sure we’ll do just fine,” Justin assured her. “Can you come in for a few minutes?”

“I’d love to,” Susanna replied, “but I have a batch of errands I need to do, and this is the perfect opportunity to get them done.”

“I understand,” Justin said with a smile, and he did. Shopping and other errands with a child always took twice as long. “Shall we drop Ashley off tomorrow afternoon, or would you like to come over early and we could look at some of our mutual research into JAB Kinney.”

“I’d love to exchange research,” Susanna said with a smile.

“Why don’t you come for brunch? I’m sure the girls will still want to play and we can spend some time together.”

“Oh that would be lovely … if you’re sure it wouldn’t be too much trouble.”

“I’ll get Brian to make one of his famous breakfasts.”

“Famous?”

Justin nodded. “He’s pretty good with breakfast.”

“I can’t imagine Mr. Kinney cooking,” Susanna giggled.

“You can see it for yourself tomorrow morning,” Justin replied. “But call him Brian. Mr. Kinney reminds him of his father.”

“This will be the first time I’ve been out for breakfast in years. I’m already looking forward to it.”

“See you in the morning, and I’ll have Ashley call you before she goes to bed tonight.”

“Thanks,” Susanna said before heading out to her car.



*****



“What are you two up to?” Brian asked as he opened the door of Bree’s bedroom.

“Playing princess, Dada,” Bree said. She and Ashley had paper crowns on their heads, ones left over from the crackers at Christmas. Bree held a ruler like a scepter or magic wand. Ashley had her crown and one of Bree’s fluffy pink skirts around her waist.

“That sounds interesting.”

“We’re having fun, Mr. Kinney,” Ashley said with her shy smile.

“I’m glad.”

“Come play with us, Dada. You can be the prince.”

“I can, can I?” Brian chuckled.

“Yep, the handsome prince.”

“I don’t think so, Squirt.”

“Pwease, Dada, me and Ashley want you to.”

“Well…”

“Pwease,” Bree repeated.

“Yes, please,” Ashley chimed in.

“What do I have to do?” Brian asked with a sigh. He knew he was going to regret this, but he also loved the way the girls looked with their fluffy dresses and paper crowns.

“Put this on,” Bree instructed. She handed her father a paper crown that was almost big enough for his head. Brian put it on, but it sat precariously atop his head. “Sit here, on the throne,” Bree told him indicating the rocking chair. Brian sat down. “What would you like, your majesty?” Bree asked with a giggle.

“Like?”

“Yes, do you want some tea?” Ashley ventured to ask.

“Tea would be lovely, my lady,” Brian replied with his most formal English accent.

The girls giggled. Bree picked up her little teapot and Ashley handed Brian a cup and saucer. Bree poured her father an imaginary cup of tea.

“Would you like a raspberry tart, Prince Kinney?” Ashley asked holding out an empty plate.

“I’d love a tart, Princess Ashley, but I think you should call me Prince Brian.”

“Okay, Prince Brian,” Ashley giggled.

“And I’ll call you Prince Dada,” Bree decided.

“Is your tart good, Prince Brian?” Ashley asked.

“So good, I think I’ll have another.”

Ashley held out the plate so Brian could pretend to take another tart.

“I want a picture of the royal family,” Justin said pushing open the door of Bree’s room. He was armed with his camera.

“How did you know?” Brian asked.

“I was coming to get you when I heard the tea party in progress, so I thought I’d like a picture of Prince Brian and his princesses,” Justin explained.

“If you must,” Brian said regally, as the girls lined up on either side of the rocking chair. Brian smiled as he placed a hand around each and looked into the camera. Justin snapped several shots. He couldn’t help but chuckle.

“These are great,” he said looking at the screen on the back of the camera.

“But only for your consumption,” Brian warned.

“Of course.”

“I think Prince Brian better go look after his kingdom. Have fun, Princesses,” Brian said as he stood up and removed his crown.

“Bye, Dada.”

“Bye, Prince Brian,” Ashley added.

As Brian walked out of the room he heard Ashley say, “Your Dada is cool.”

“I know,” Bree declared.

Brian smiled as he followed Justin down the hall to the kitchen. “Coffee?”

“Just made a pot,” Justin said. He was still looking at the pictures he had snapped.

“You’re enjoying seeing me like that, aren’t you?” Brian asked taking a sip of his coffee.

“You look very handsome with your crown, Prince Brian,” Justin chuckled.

“Thank you, kind sir.”

“I never thought I’d see the day…”

“When I’d deliberately make a fool of myself?”

“When you’d get to play prince to two such cute little princesses. They loved it.”

“So did I,” Brian admitted. “But I’ll have to kill you if you tell anyone.”

“I wouldn’t dream of it.”



*****



“Do you have enough information?” Hunter asked.

“Almost,” Dennis Hawk replied.

“What else?”

“Are all your kids here gay?”

“Um…”

“Problem?” Hawk asked perking up at Hunter’s indecision on how to answer that question.

“No problem. It’s just that most of the kids who come here are gay. We’ve had one or two who weren’t, but they still needed help.”

“So you don’t turn anyone away?”

“Why would we?” Hunter asked.

“Sometimes people start these kinds of institutions and they become quite exclusive … or there are other reasons for taking only one kind of person?”

“We take anyone who needs help,” Hunter declared.

“And Brian Kinney doesn’t mind?”

“Brian? I told that he has little to do with this place.”

“Yes, that’s what you told me.”

“But you don’t believe me?”

“Let’s just say that I have other ideas about Brian Kinney’s involvement here.”

“Such as?”

“I think I’ll keep that to myself,” Dennis said smugly.

“Are you gay, Mr. Hawk?” Hunter asked.

“Yes, but so what?”

“I just wondered.”

“Wondered what?” Dennis asked his face clouding over.

“If you might have known Brian way back when.”

“So what if I did?”

“Is this some kind of vendetta against Brian … because I won’t help you do that?”

“Nobody’s asking you to.”

“Maybe you’re not asking, but I get the feeling that’s what you’re using me for.”

“Then let’s put the cards on the table,” Dennis stated.

“That would be refreshing,” Hunter replied sarcastically.

“I think Kinney is the asshole of the century. I wouldn’t be surprised if he used this haven for young hustlers to get himself some prime ass whenever he wanted it. And the boys would be only too happy to give it up to the rich and powerful Brian Kinney, and then they keep their mouths shut for fear of what might happen to them.”

“You’d be one hundred percent wrong if that was what you thought,” Hunter said angrily. “I think you better leave and you better not write that fucking article of yours if that’s the kind of thing you’re planning to say. You’ll be in for the biggest lawsuit of your life.”

Dennis raised an eyebrow, but he looked into Hunter’s eyes. “Prove me wrong.”

“I know you’re wrong. That’s enough for me.”

“I think I’m right.”

“What … what do you want?’

“I want to talk to some of the kids who’ve passed through here. I want to see what happens to them after they leave. And most of all I want a meeting with Brian Kinney.”

“I can talk to some of our alumni, and see if they will speak with you. However, I doubt that Brian will want to talk to you,” Hunter said.

“What’s he afraid of?”

“I doubt he’s afraid of you, but I also doubt that he would speak with someone who has such disgusting ideas about him.”

“He might be able to put them to rest,” Dennis said hoping that ploy would work. “Ask him.”

“I … I’ll talk to him,” Hunter said. “But no guarantees.”

Dennis stood. “Let me know what he says,” Dennis replied before he walked out the door.



*****



“Ted.”

“Brian?”

“Yeah, listen I have you conferenced in with Richard Connolly.”

“Okay, I’m listening.” Ted considered coming back with some snappy retort but thought better of it. This must be important for Brian to call him at home and to have a reporter in on the conversation. He took out a pad and pencil just in case he needed to take notes.

“Hunter just called. It appears my past may be catching up with me and this time it may endanger the clinic.”

“How so?”

“A reporter by the name of Dennis Hawk requested permission to do an article about the clinic and kids on the street.”

“Sounds innocent enough and the clinic just might get more backers out of it,” Ted said reasonably.

“That’s what we thought except that Hunter, the very streetwise master of social work, got a bad feeling from this Hawk person. And now it seems his suspicions have been justified.”

“What does Hawk want?”

“He wants to talk to me. Find out my involvement.”

“What does he really want?”

“To find out if those rumors about me being a chicken hawk are more than just rumors.”

“Brian, there isn’t one shred of evidence to substantiate those rumors. And that was almost twenty years ago with a young man that was of legal age and that you eventually married!” Ted was growing very agitated.

“Ted, I don’t care about me, but what if Hawk makes a big deal about this. Richard tells me that when Hawk goes after someone, their reputation is usually ruined after. I don’t care about me; I’ve survived worse but the kids, the clinic and Justin. They can be hurt by all of this.”

“I can tell you that the Times doesn’t condone Hawk’s methods but we have run his exposés on occasion. I don’t normally pay too much attention to sensationalism but when it’s in ‘Hawk’s Prey’ we all take notice,” Richard added. “Did Hunter say what Hawk’s plan is?”

“He told Hunter that he wanted to interview some of the clinic’s kids,” Brian explained.

“Can he do that?” Teddy asked.

“No, not legally. Not the current kids in Hunter’s care. Hunter becomes their temporary guardian so that they’re protected. But once they become legal and graduate out of the program, they’re up for grabs.”

“How can I help, Bri?”

“Do some digging. Find out if this is just a case of an old rejected trick trying to use his position to get back at me. Hawk must be a pseudonym; see if you can find out his real name.”

“Um, Brian, do you remember, uh, um...”

“Spit it out, Theodore!”

“Do you remember doing him?”

“I Googled his picture. I can’t say that the face is familiar but then it wasn’t usually the face I was interested in back then.”

“I’m on it, Brian. I’ll call you as soon as I find out anything.”

“Be discreet.”

“Bri, discreet is my middle name,” Ted declared as he hung up, his fingers automatically making a lock and key motion over his lips. Brian rolled his eyes out of habit.

“Brian, I have contacts at the Tribune. I’ll let you know if I hear anything,” Richard offered.

“Thank you. I appreciate your help.”

“May I make a suggestion?” Richard ventured.

“Go ahead.”

“Tell your family. Don’t do this alone. Hawk is good at divide and conquer. He begins with a little blackmail to get his intended victim to alienate himself from their family. They think they’re protecting them and in the end even if the rumor is proven unfounded, the damage has already been done. You have a wonderful family, Brian, let them help you.”

“I’ll consider it,” Brian said as he ended his conversation.

Brian sat back in his chair, running his hands over his face and through his hair. The sounds of a normal family surrounded him. John across the sun porch in his office, tapping away on his keyboard. Justin in the porch below, blissfully painting. Bree and her best friend were in her room playing princess, and a heated discussion regarding the Pittsburgh Pirates was going on between Bobby and Patrick. All normal, day to day and perhaps a little too tame, but not for Brian.

“Divide and conquer,” he murmured. A tactic Brian used a lot in business, when one potential new client wasn’t sure about going with Kinnetik, Brian would seduce an associate to win the account.

“Not this time,” Brian said with some resolve. He steeled his back then went to call a family meeting.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 6





“Brian, the kids are asleep,” John said as they congregated up in Brian’s office. “What’s going on?”

“That reporter I told you about wants to meet with me,” Brian began.

“Why?” Justin asked as he sat close to his spouse, sensing the tension in Brian’s body language.

“Hunter said that Hawk implied my involvement in the clinic is for less than altruistic purposes.”

“I don’t understand,” John said, confusion in his voice.

“I think what Brian means is that Hawk may believe that Brian is using the clinic for procurement,” Bobby explained.

“Procurement?!” Justin became red in the face with anger. “How dare he! I want him sued. He has to be stopped.”

“Justin, we can’t sue on conjecture. We have to wait to see what he really wants,” Bobby counseled.

“So do I meet with this asshole?” Brian asked as he scanned the faces of his family.

“Yeah, you do,” John said. “But not alone. We’re going to be with you.”

“I don’t understand.” It was Brian’s turn to be confused.

“Brian, the original intent of the interview was to talk about the kids on the street and how the clinic was formed to help get them off the street. Well, we were all involved from day one. All of us, from John’s renovations to Justin’s help with the restoration of the theater to me and Ted setting up the funding. And when the rest of the family found out, they became involved too. Brian, Hawk isn’t just attacking you; he’s attacking all of us.”

“How do you figure that?”

“By assuming we’d turned a blind eye to your alleged procuring activities. Does Hawk really think that we wouldn’t notice if you tried to seduce boys? Brian, you’re good at playing it close to the vest but your life is practically an open book on Liberty Avenue. If anything, Debbie would have smacked the shit out of you if she remotely thought you had any nefarious or ulterior motives regarding Hunter’s kids,” Bobby continued.

“Yeah, she’d have my hide,” Brian said with a smirk. He took a deep breath. “I’ll call Hunter in the morning.”

The men of Edna’s Treasures prepared for battle.



*****



“Daddy, Dada!” Bree’s voice came through the bedroom door.

“Hmm,” Brian groaned as he forced an eye open. “What is it, Bree?”

“Ashley and me are hungry,” the little voice said.

“Get some Cheerios.”

“I can’t reach.”

“Fuck,” Brian muttered, as he swung his legs out of the bed. He forced his other eye open and grabbed his sweatpants that were lying by the bed. He struggled to get them on, one leg having gotten turned inside out when he had rushed to get them off so he could fuck the sleeping blond in the bed next to him.

“Dada!” the persistent little voice continued.

“I’m coming,” Brian said testily as he finally got his foot through the recalcitrant leg of the sweatpants.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked, coming to.

“Nothing, go back to sleep,” Brian said as he stood up.

“’Kay,” Justin replied dozing off immediately.

Brian shook his head before heading to the door of the bedroom. He turned the lock and opened the door. Two little faces looked up at him, as well as a grey bunny.

“How come your door was locked?” Bree asked.

“Daddy and I wanted some privacy.”

“Oh,” Bree said wondering what that meant. They didn’t usually lock their door.

“So, you’re both starving. Is that right?” Brian asked.

Ashley giggled. “I’m not starving, but Bree is.”

“Bree has her father’s appetite,” Brian observed as he stepped out of the bedroom. He closed the door quietly behind him. “You sound more like me, Miss Ashley,” Brian said. “I could eat or not.”

“My mommy says I don’t eat enough,” Ashley revealed. “She thinks I’m too skinny.”

“I think you’re just right,” Bree stated.

“Me too,” Brian added.

Ashley beamed at them both.

“I pushed the button on the coffee, Dada,” Bree said proudly.

“Good girl! I can use a cup.”

“I knew you’d want coffee,” Bree said as she and Ashley planted their little bums on the kitchen chairs.

“You know me too well, Squirt,” Brian chuckled, pouring himself a mug of coffee.

“Cheerios,” Bree demanded.

“Okay, okay,” Brian replied, taking a sip of the much needed coffee. He grabbed the box of Cheerios from the cupboard and two bowls from another cupboard. “We’re having brunch later, so don’t eat too much,” Brian warned.

“Are you making bacon and eggs?” Bree wanted to know.

“Yes,” Brian replied pouring a small amount of Cheerios into each bowl. “Milk?”

“Nope,” Bree said as she took a fistful of the Cheerios from the bowl and started munching happily. Ashley followed suit.

Brian debated going back to bed, but decided to sit down with the girls and have his coffee. “Did you two sleep last night, or were you gossiping all night?”

Bree giggled. “We don’t gossip, Dada,” she stated.

“I slept,” Ashley said. “Bree helped me make a ponytail for my hair this morning.”

“And very fetching it is, little miss,” Brian said. He always felt that Ashley needed her confidence built up. Maybe it came from not having a father to tell her how beautiful and special she was.

“You look very fetching too, Mr. Kinney,” Ashley replied.

Brian nearly choked on his coffee. “Thank you, Ashley, but call me Brian.”

“But shouldn’t you have a shirt on, Mr. Brian?” she asked.

“My Dada doesn’t wear much when he’s at home,” Bree proclaimed.

“But when I go out, I look magnificent.”

“You and me,” Bree said confidently.

Brian squeezed Bree’s hand affectionately.

“You both are very … pretty,” Ashley said, searching for the right word.

“So are you, young lady.”

Ashley shook her head, but Brian could see the blush that colored her cheeks. “Why are you so nice to me, Mr. Brian?”

“Because I like you, Ashley.”

“I like you too,” Ashley replied.

Brian smiled. “How would you two like to help me make freshly squeezed orange juice for our brunch?”

“Yay!” both girls crowed. Brian got up to get the oranges out of the fridge.

That was how Justin found them some time later, sitting at the kitchen table with empty halves of oranges all over the place and a huge pitcher of juice that they were filling. The girls were holding the orange halves on the juicer while Brian collected the juice as it ran out. They were laughing and giggling. Justin thought he’d never seen a nicer picture, as he grabbed his camera and snapped a couple of shots before they realized he was there.



*****



“Come in, Susanna,” Justin said as he opened the front door of Edna’s Treasures to Ashley’s mother. “Brian’s just about to start breakfast.”

Susanna handed her coat to Justin as Bree and Ashley ran out of the kitchen. Ashley threw her arms around her mother.

“Hi, Mrs. St. John,” Bree said.

“Morning, Briana,” Susanna replied. “Did you girls have fun yesterday?”

“Oh yes, mommy. And me and Bree made you fresh squeezed orange juice,” Ashley excitedly told her mother. “Mr. Brian let us hold the orange on the juicer, and the juice just came pouring out.”

Susanna laughed and hugged her daughter. “That sounds like fun.”

“Come into the kitchen,” Justin said.

They all traipsed in to where Brian was behind the counter whipping a large bowl of eggs to make scrambled eggs. The smell of freshly cooked bacon wafted throughout the room.

“Morning,” Brian said. He now wore jeans and a soft brown sweater.

“Good morning, Mr. Kinney,” Susanna said cautiously.

“Please call me Brian.”

“Of course,” Susanna said with a blush, remembering what Justin had told her, but remembering it too late.

“Would you like some coffee?” Justin asked.

“That would be lovely.”

“Have a seat,” Justin said as he poured a mug of coffee for Susanna. He topped up Brian’s and his own, before carrying his mug and the new one over to the table.

“Thank you,” Susanna said as she took a sip of the coffee. “This is excellent.”

“Brian’s favorite blend,” Justin said.

“Can I help with anything?” Susanna asked.

“Nope,” Justin replied. “Brian has his way of doing his breakfasts. The Anderson-Morrisons from the other side of the cottage will be joining us for breakfast, if you don’t mind.”

“No, not at all, but that must be a lot of food to prepare.”

“You ain’t seen nothin’, until you’ve see Brian make breakfast for the whole family,” Justin laughed.

“And how many people would that be?” Susanna asked as she savored the fine cup of coffee.

“Oh, thirty or forty,” Justin laughed. “Depends who can make it on any given day.”

“My goodness!”

Brian merely winked at Justin and kept on cooking.

“Mommy, want to taste some of our juice?” Ashley asked.

“I’d love to.”

“I’ll pour it, Ashley,” Justin said. “That jug is kind of heavy.” Justin took the pitcher out of the fridge and poured a small glass of the orange juice. He handed it to Ashley to take to her mother.

“This is delicious,” Susanna said, as she tasted the sweet liquid.

“We made lots,” Ashley said.

“Used every orange we could lay our hands on,” Brian chuckled from behind the counter.

“I have to say, Mr. … um, Brian, that I never thought you’d be preparing all this food when Justin asked me to brunch.”

“Just one of my many talents.”

“So I see.”

Brian smiled at Susanna. He had been a bit worried about this brunch, since Susanna hadn’t been very happy with his contributions to Ashley going to camp. He hoped that topic would not come up. That was part of the reason he had invited Bobby and John to join them for brunch. Brian knew he could take whatever Susanna might want to dish out. It was Ashley he was worried about.

All worries put to rest, the brunch went swimmingly. John was his usual charming self. Bobby regaled Susanna with stories about their trip to England. Everyone seemed to have a very good time.

As Brian was cleaning up his kitchen and loading the dishwasher, Susanna came in from the living room. “May I get another cup of your delicious coffee?”

“Of course,” Brian said pouring it for her. “I hope you enjoyed the brunch.”

“It was fabulous, and I’m stuffed.” Brian smiled. “Brian, could I say something to you?”

“I doubt I could stop you,” Brian replied with a frown. He wondered if he was going to get taken down a peg or two about his charitable activities as they affected Susanna’s daughter.

Susanna smiled. “I just want to say thank you.”

“Thank you?” Brian asked, genuinely surprised. Thanks was not what he had been expecting.

“Yes, I appreciate how you’ve managed to help Ashley without her realizing what you were doing. She feels like an equal to your daughter, not a poor cousin.”

“She is Bree’s equal. I hope you don’t think…”

“Please, let me finish,” Susanna interrupted. “I know you don’t think of Ashley as a poor relative. That’s evident in how you treat her, and how she feels about you. I never would have allowed what you’ve done for her, if you’d made her feel like that.”

Brian nodded. “Ashley’s a special little girl. Bree loves her … and so do we.”

“Again, thank you,” Susanna said sincerely.

“Ready for some research?” Justin asked as he entered the kitchen. “I laid out all my findings up in Brian’s office. A lot of it is on the computer.”

“I’m ready,” Susanna said with a smile. She picked up the cloth bag that contained her research. “Thanks again, Brian,” she said once more.

Brian merely smiled and said softly, “You’re very welcome.”

Justin and Susanna left the kitchen to go up to his office.



*****



“This is unbelievable,” Susanna exclaimed as she followed Justin through the hall and out onto the sun porch. She quickly looked around the big space and saw several easels with works in progress.

“Am I taking you away from your work?”

“Not at all. I’m experimenting with a new technique so I’m letting the paintings dry a little before I apply the next layer.”

“What’s the subject of your paintings?”

“A family portrait,” Justin said as he pointed to a photograph that was sitting on a small table easel.

“On three separate canvases?”

“A triptych, the parents at each end and the children in the middle. Three individual portraits that will be grouped together.”

“Oh, how ingenious! Can I ask you something?” Justin nodded. “How did you keep Briana away from your paintings when she was a toddler. Ashley got into everything.”

Justin laughed then told Susanna about the indoor gar-gar incident.

“Look up,” Justin said as he pointed up to the pulley system that John had devised.

“Clever,” Susanna said as Justin led her up the spiral staircase to Brian’s inner sanctum. “I never saw anything like this.” Susanna was impressed with the construction of the attic office.

“Its twin is across the porch,” Justin commented as he indicated John’s side of the cottage. “John literally raised the roof to make the offices.”

“Impressive.”

Justin laid out the books he compiled of the known Kinney paintings and sculptures, as well as a smaller volume on Patrick’s work.

“This is a map of the route they traveled through Central and South America. They finally wound up in Texas near San Antonio. We found their final resting place,” Justin said as he showed her the pictures of their grave markers.

“This is what I found,” Susanna began as she pulled out copies of pages from an old ledger. “Before Kinney left this country, the land was going through a drought phase. Several of his neighbors and acquaintances had failing farms. Kinney valued the land; he was afraid that his neighbors would sell up and move away.”

“What did he do?”

“He arranged for private grants and long term loans. And these are the only records of those loans,” Susanna said as she spread the photographed pages across the desk.

“Who has the original ledger?” Justin asked.

“Believe it or not it’s in the local public library in Bridgeton.”

“You have got to be kidding me. Why didn’t anybody say anything during the time of the auction? It was big news at the time.”

“I think because no one actually examined the ledger very closely. Much of the writing is faded and some of the pages will disintegrate if not handled carefully. It’s been in a small vault that the library uses for rare books.”

“How did you find it?”

“As I mentioned, I was doing some research at the time of the auction, just for my own curiosity. I had no intention of doing anything with it and then due to time and circumstances, I set the whole thing aside. Ashley had a project to do for school so I asked the librarian if I could take a peek in the book vault. We were childhood friends and she knows how much I value historical items, so under her supervision, I peeked. I took the pictures with my cell phone.”

“This is amazing. I wonder if they’d allow me and Brian to look at it.”

“I don’t see why not. Technically, Brian and John are the rightful Kinney heirs.”

“I can ask Bobby; he’s our family lawyer. Sidney Bloom of the Bloom Gallery was responsible for the restoration of the Kinney paintings. I bet he can help us to conserve the ledger.”

“Can you imagine if some of the ancestors of the original loan recipients are still alive and living locally? They owe their land to Kinney. Think of the compounded interest!” Susanna said with a straight face then she and Justin cracked up. “Seriously, the book does belong to your family. I’m sure the library would allow it to be returned to its rightful owners. But it proves my point.”

“What point?”

“That your Brian is a good man. The apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.”

“Hmm,” Justin murmured, as he recalled a story that he once coaxed out of Brian about his grandfather Aidan and an apple tree.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 7






“Hello?”

“Hi, JR.”

“Curtis, hi,” JR said with a tinge of color coming to her face.

“I hope you don’t mind me calling.”

“Of course not.”

“I … I was wondering if you’d like to meet me at the diner for a sundae … or something.”

“The diner?”

“That’s the only place I could think of that we both know.”

JR laughed. “It’s also the source of every rumor on Liberty Avenue. You realize it has major connections with my family. I can just hear the phone lines burning up if you and I go there together … alone.”

“Oh, I never thought of that,” Curtis admitted. His cheeks were burning even though the blush would not be visible.

“Is this like … a date?”

“Well…”

“Or do you need some more help with your paper?”

“I…

“It’s okay if it’s just the paper,” JR said quickly, letting her friend off the hook. She knew that was probably all Curtis wanted, but she had hoped…

“I do want to talk about my paper, but…”

“But what?” JR asked perking up again.

“I kind of like spending time with you.”

“You do?” JR asked, a grin spreading across her face.

“Is that all right?”

“I like spending time with you too,” JR replied, and then kicked herself mentally. Girls were supposed to play coy, she had been told. But she had learned to speak her mind, mostly from her mother who always spoke up whether it was wise or not. Her mother would probably not be pleased if she realized JR was helping Curtis write about her least favorite person.

Curtis smiled to himself. He had been hoping that JR liked being with him. “Where could we go?” he asked.

“For some privacy?” JR asked with a nervous giggle.

“Exactly.”

“There’s a little coffee shop a couple of blocks from my house. I could meet you there.”

“That sounds great,” Curtis said enthusiastically. “I’ll get one of my dads to drop me off there, if you don’t mind walking from your place.”

“I don’t mind.”

“Good, I’ll see you there in about a half hour,” Curtis said thinking that this could work out really well.

“Bring what you’ve written. I’d like to see it.”

“It’s kind of rough, but I’ll print it off.”



*****



“Ready to go, sweetheart?” Susanna asked her daughter.

Ashley and Bree were drawing at Bree’s little table in the sun porch.

“Do I have to, mommy?” Ashley asked.

“You’ve been here for a long time, Ashley. You don’t want to wear out your welcome.”

“Okay, mommy.”

“I love having Ashley here, Mrs. St. John,” Bree stated. “She can stay forever.”

Susanna chuckled. “That’s very generous of you, Bree, but I’d miss having Ashley at home.”

“Oh.”

“I think we better get going.”

“Okay,” Ashley said standing up. “Mommy, can Bree come to our place for a sleepover soon?”

“I … I don’t know. Would that be all right with your fathers?” she asked Bree.

“It would be just fine with Bree’s fathers,” Justin said as he carried Ashley’s bag into the sun porch. He had gathered up Ashley’s things from Bree’s bedroom. “Wouldn’t it, Brian?”

“Just fine,” Brian replied as he followed Justin in. “It was a pleasure having Ashley here for a couple of days. She was a perfect young miss.”

“You sound just like Hudson,” Justin laughed.

“Hudson was your housekeeper in England?” Susanna asked remembering some of Bobby’s stories during brunch.

“That’s right,” Brian replied. “She was very big on manners. I would have loved to have stolen her away and brought her home with us.”

“She made the best porridge,” Bree added.

“Porridge?” Ashley asked wrinkling her nose.

“Yep, I could show you what she put in it, if I come to your place.”

“Can she, mommy?”

“How about in a couple of weeks?”

“Yay!” the two girls yelled holding hands and bouncing up and down.

The adults smiled fondly at the two girls who had such a close bond.



*****



“The person who had the biggest affect on my life was the man I mugged.”

“Wow!” JR said as she read the first line. “Are you really going to start your paper like that?”

“It caught your attention, didn’t it?”

“I … I didn’t know that you actually mugged Uncle Brian.”

“You didn’t?” Curtis asked frowning. He had just assumed that Brian Kinney had told everybody.

“No, I knew you tried to rob Uncle Brian, but he never said…”

“Then maybe you better not read anymore,” Curtis said reaching for the paper.

JR pulled it away. “No, I really want to read this.”

“Okay, but there may be a few more surprises for you.”

I had an old rusty knife that I used to threaten my victims back then. I had to survive on the streets and this seemed like the only way, robbing people. I know this makes me a pretty horrible person, but I used to rob only people that I thought could spare the cash. This victim looked very prosperous, with his cashmere coat and his vintage Corvette car. Somebody was looking after me that day. I guess you could say that I chose the right person.

When I tried to get Mr. Kinney’s wallet, he refused. He wouldn’t give me the wallet, but he said he would give me the cash in it. I thought he was trying to trick me so I tried to cut him with my knife. I know I shouldn’t have done that, but I did. We struggled and he kept the wallet, but he threw his money at me. I grabbed it and ran.

“Oh my God! You cut Uncle Brian?” JR gasped.

“Not exactly,” Curtis mumbled unable to look JR in the eye. “I kind of scratched him. The blade wasn’t very sharp.”

“But still…”

“I know. I was very wrong, but I was … desperate.”

“I can see that,” JR replied. This was mostly all new and scary. Uncle Brian had never said anything about most of this. She continued reading:

I was very scared after this happened. I’d never hurt anyone before. I didn’t like thinking about what I’d done. However, the money came in very handy.

Then things started to change for me. I met someone at the Liberty Diner who gave me some food. She wanted to help me, I think, but I wouldn’t let her. And then this guy named Hunter found me. He brought me to the Jason Kemp Center where I was warm and I started to feel safe.

That’s when Mr. Kinney appeared again. I thought I was going to jail. He would have had every right to have me arrested, but he didn’t. I think that was the best thing that ever happened to me. Mr. Kinney started a whole bunch of stuff in motion. He had sent Hunter looking for me. Everything I have today I owe to Mr. Kinney not having me arrested. And more than that, he welcomed me into his family. He actually helped me find a family of my own, something I hadn’t had for several years.

“This is an amazing story, Curtis,” JR said as she reached the end of what he had written.

“You like it?” Curtis asked with a shy smile.

“I think riveting is too tame a word for it.”

Curtis chuckled. “I have to add some more.”

“Are you going to tell about Edna’s Treasures?”

Curtis shook his head. “I think Mr. Kinney wouldn’t like that.”

“You should add something about what happened to you that caused you to start mugging people,” JR suggested.

“Yeah, I guess I should.”

“And then at the end, more about how your life has changed.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m really proud of how you’ve turned your life around, Curtis.”

“Thanks.” And at that moment Curtis was very proud too.



*****



“Kinney.”

“Hey, Pop!”

“Hey, Sonny Boy. How’s it hanging?”

“A little low and to the right.”

“A chip off the old block. And before this conversation goes any further, this does not count as my weekly call since you called me.”

“Oh, Dad. You’re never going to let me forget that, are you?”

“Nope. Now what can I do for you?”

“Am I still interning at Kinnetik this summer?”

“Gus, in case you haven’t noticed, it’s still February. Summer is several months away.”

“I know, Pop, but I also know that the intern spots get filled pretty quick.”

“And you want to reserve your spot.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, I think Cynthia already has Kinnetik filled. We’re working on Harrisburg right now and N’rgy.”

“Dad, I really...”

“You know, Sonny Boy, every time you address me as Dad, I expect some sort of plea.”

“Dad...”

“Begging is nice too. Keeps one humble.”

“Bet you never had to beg for anything.”

“Maybe one thing,” Brian said with a smirk.

“TMI, Pop. Seriously, Dad, I was hoping to intern at N’rgy.”

“I figured as much.”

“Is that a yes?”

“Partially.” Brian heard his son groan over the phone.

“I’m not going to like this, am I?”

“Gus, not everything is handed to you on a silver platter and I don’t play favorites. Your past performance as an intern at Kinnetik has allowed you to work there on a continual basis, but that doesn’t mean if you fuck up Cynthia won’t fire you,” Brian said sternly. “And you as my son must be doubly diligent.”

“Yes, Dad, I know but this is very important to me.”

“So then be straight with me. What do you want more, to work as an intern or to spend the summer fucking your boyfriend?”

“Honestly?”

“Yep.”

“I want to find a way to do both.”

“That’s the first genuine statement you’ve made since I answered the phone. This is what I propose. You spend at least the first two weeks after the end of this semester with your moms and JR. Then for July you’ll intern at Part Deux. If your moms agree, you can stay here and drive in with me or Bobby. If neither one of us are going to Harrisburg and you prove to me you can be responsible, I’ll let you take Justin’s Cherokee provided he gives his permission. You do a good job there, you can spend the remaining month at N’rgy. I’ll ask Simon and Ken if you can rent out a room in their apartment for the month. If not, I’ll set you up with some temporary housing somewhere in the neighborhood.”

“Pop, I swear, I will be the best intern Kinnetik has ever seen!”

“All I want is honest work from you.”

“I will, Dad. I won’t let you down.”

“I know you won’t. Goodbye, Sonny Boy.”

“Goodbye? You trying to get rid of me?”

“Never, Gus. But I can almost sense that itchy dialing finger from here. The faster we hang up, the faster you can call Ray.”

“Oh, Pop.”

“Later, Sonny Boy.”

“Later, Pop. Oh...and Dad?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

“Love you too, Sonny Boy.” Brian smiled as he shook his head then went to call Cynthia and to speak with Justin.



*****




“Hi, Lacy,” Hunter said as he entered the diner.

“Hey, Hunter, have a seat. I’ll be right with you.”

Hunter sat down in one of the booths and waited.

“Coffee or soda?” Lacy asked as she came over to the table.

“Got a minute to talk to me?” Hunter asked.

“Um, yeah. Let me refill the coffee cups at that table, and I’ll be right with you.”

Hunter nodded. “Coffee,” he added. It was a quiet period between meals in the diner. That’s why Hunter had chosen it.

After a couple of minutes, Lacy arrived with two cups of coffee and a piece of apple pie. “Thought we could share,” Lacy laughed.

“Looks good.”

“It is. So, what can I do for you?”

“There’s a reporter sniffing around,” Hunter began. He cut off a piece of the pie with his fork and stuffed it in his mouth. He could use a sugar fix.

“A reporter?”

“Yeah, name’s Dennis Hawk from the Tribune. I don’t trust him. I get the distinct impression he’s out to do a hatchet job on Brian.”

“Really? What does this have to do with you? Brian can take care of himself.”

“Most of the time he can, but I’m kind of responsible for letting Hawk in. He said he wanted to do a story on the Center, and I thought we could get some good publicity out of it.”

“But he doesn’t really want to write about the Center?”

“He’s been asking questions about Brian, hinting that Brian started the Center to get some chicken.”

“Fuck!” Lacy reacted. “Maybe Sateeena needs to rip his balls off.”

Hunter let out a loud laugh. “I may take you up on that.” Lacy blushed. “What I do need you to do, if you’re willing, is to talk to Hawk and tell him how Brian and the Center have helped you. And with no ulterior motives. It would be good that someone of the female persuasion was helped by the Center. Hawk thinks Brian was after the boys.”

“I’d be happy to tell that asshole what the Center has done for me. And Brian … he’s done more for me than I ever thought possible.”

Hunter squeezed Lacy’s hand. “Thanks, Lacy. Your help means a lot to me … and to Brian.”

“Just tell me where and when,” Lacy said. “I need to get back to work.”

Hunter decided to finish his pie. As Hunter savored the sweet dessert, he thought about how the Center had helped a lot of kids. When he saw what Lacy, and some of the others had made of their lives, he couldn’t help but be proud. And a lot of it was due to Brian Kinney.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 8





“Patrick?”

“Hm.”

“Are you mad at me?”

“No.”

“Then why don’t you talk to me?” Bree asked. The children were strapped in the back of Justin’s SUV, while Brian drove them home from school.

Brian looked into the rearview mirror waiting for Patrick’s reply. He had noticed that the children had been unusually quiet, and hadn’t spent much time together when they were at Edna’s Treasures.

“I’m not mad,” Patrick repeated.

Bree looked over at her cousin and friend. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong. You’re a girl and I’m a boy. You like to do princess stuff with Ashley. I like to look at buildings with my dad and throw a ball around with Beau. That’s all.”

“But I like to play with you.”

“I don’t like … tea parties so much anymore,” Patrick explained.

Brian snorted. “I think someone’s growing up.” Patrick grinned at his uncle.

“But I like to play with you,” Bree said. “I’ll throw a ball around.”

Patrick let out a sigh. “I’ll still play with you, Bree. You know that. It’s just that sometimes, I want to do other stuff, guy stuff.”

“Oh.”

“Bree,” Brian said jumping in. “Girls and boys often aren’t interested in the same things.”

“Why not?”

‘Shit!’ Brian thought. Why couldn’t he just keep his fucking mouth shut? “That’s just the way it is,” Brian replied hoping that would suffice.

“But I don’t like that.”

“You may not like it, Squirt, but it’s a fact of life.”

Bree frowned. “No.”

“What do you mean no?” Brian asked looking at her in the mirror.

“I don’t want it to be like that.”

“It just is. There’s nothing you can do about it,” Brian said as he drove through the gate leading to Edna’s Treasures.

“Maybe I can,” Bree replied. Brian could see the wheels turning.

“Here we are,” Brian said as he stopped the car in front of the conjoined cottages.

“Thanks, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said as he got out of the SUV and ran into the house.

Brian smiled as he took Bree’s extended hand. He walked with his daughter to the house. He might have made Patrick happy, but his daughter certainly wasn’t.



*****



“How’s it going, sweetie?” Lindsay asked as she walked into the dining room of the house.

“Like shit,” Melanie replied. She was ensconced at the dining room table with her laptop and pads of paper surrounding her.

“That good, huh?”

“I don’t know why I’m trying to write about that asshole. I should have known better.”

“Well, Brian is the asshole who fills the bill of what you’re supposed to write about.”

“That’s the fucking problem,” Melanie sounded off.

“What do you mean?”

“He fills the bill perfectly. I can’t do anyone else, but…”

“But what?”

“I can’t describe him the way I want to,” Melanie sighed.

“Oh, you mean with a string of curse words,” Lindsay said with a laugh. “Your creative writing teacher might not like that.”

“Of course, he wouldn’t like it. And neither would I. I want to do this properly, but it’s so frustrating.”

“What have you written so far?”

“One line.”

“One line? Haven’t you been working on this for…?”

“Weeks? Yes.”

“Read me the line.”

“It sucks.”

“Read it!” Lindsay ordered.

“There is only one person who can be described as the one I dislike most, but who has had a major impact on my life over and over and over and over again,” Melanie read from her pad.

“Do you think you have enough over and over’s?” Lindsay laughed.

“See, I told you it sucked.”

“It doesn’t suck.”

“I know it does.”

“Okay, it sucks,” Lindsay agreed.

“Thanks,” Melanie said sarcastically.

Lindsay heaved a sigh. This was one of those lose/lose situations no matter what she said. Then a thought occurred to her. “Why do you need to repeat the premise of your paper in the first sentence? Why don’t you just start describing Brian?”

“Just start…?”

“Yes, let it all roll out, curse words and all, all the feelings you have about Brian, random thoughts, things he’s done. Justin told me to do that with my drawing – to draw little pieces of things, not worry about the whole picture. He told me to draw snippets that I found interesting, and it worked.”

“So, you think I should start writing snippets of things that Brian has done – things that have affected my life.”

“Exactly, and your feelings about them. Just start and then edit later.”

“Hm,” Melanie said as Lindsay beat a hasty retreat, hoping her suggestion might work.



*****



“Brian Kinney” by Melanie Marcus

A- Is for asshole. I probably shouldn’t use such a crude word but it fits and he’d be the first to admit it. Brian Kinney is an ‘A’ number one asshole of epic proportions. ‘A’ could be for arrogant too and he wouldn’t disagree.

B- Bastard but not in the literal sense. He had legally married parents at the time of his birth. But I guess the bastard goes with the arrogant part.

C- Cocky, given Brian’s proclivities in his youth, this adjective fits him to a tee, in all its connotations.

D- Damnable for the bad things he’s done, and the good.

E- Effective in whatever he sets his sights on to achieve, especially in business. He is the most effective person I have ever known.

F- Frustrating! No further elaboration necessary.

G- Guts, he has the guts to do what most people couldn’t even dream of. I have always been envious of that fact.

H- Heart, he has one. It took me years to discover that he does have a heart. Its depth is boundless. He cares deeply about his family, all his family, which includes me.

I- Irritating, he can be the most irritating man. Sometimes I want to throttle him. And unfortunately, one time I came too close to doing it and for the wrong reason. I jumped to the wrong conclusion about Brian and I almost ruined one of his most worthy charities. I hope he’s forgiven me.

J- Jerk!

K- Kickass wardrobe. I’ve known Brian for a very long time. The man knows how to dress. Even when he’s barbecuing chicken or making an omelet or covered in dirt from gardening, he’s always impeccably dressed.

L- Loyal, so loyal that he sets himself up to be hurt, but he won’t admit that. He’s always there, brutally honest (another ‘H’) but there whenever any of his immediate or extended family needs him. He would move heaven and earth to help any one of us. And I’m pretty sure he has.

M- Married! Ha! The man who swore he’d never do anything as conventional as marriage, did just that. Of course it’s not legal and technically a commitment ceremony, but to him and his partner, they are married. I hate to admit this; his commitment is the strongest I have ever seen.

N- Nefarious...not, don’t ever cross him or his family but he is a fair man, in looks (for a man) and in the way he treats his business associates and employees. As much as I would like to use nefarious to describe Brian Kinney, he’s not. But his past enemies might.

O- Opinionated almost to ad nauseam, and the bastard is usually right.

P- Possessive, maybe a little too much. But only when it comes to his privacy, his family, especially the children and to the love of his life. I think in a few ways he and I are alike. We’re too possessive because we believe we’re not worthy of what we have.

Q- Queer.

R- Relentless, at least in business. He’s not afraid to work hard to get what he wants and yet maintains the highest of quality. It’s what makes him a leader in his field. He’s also Rage.

S- Self made man. He’s worked hard for everything he has. Maybe from the outside it looks like Brian did it all on his own and where it matters the most, he did. But he also has the wisdom to hire the best and it shows in his product. Soccer, he’s very good at it and got through college on a soccer scholarship.

T- Temper, he has one. Forewarned is forearmed.

U- Unending love of his children, his partner and his family. I really should follow his example, he puts his family first.

V- Vain, he is vain. There’s no sugar coating it. He will fight the aging process for as long as he can. Vengeance, do not hurt his family, Brian will find a way to punish the guilty.

W- Wealthy, he’s earned every penny. He’s wise with his money and generous too. I can’t go into detail with that so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

X- There isn’t an ‘X’ word that applies to Brian other than maybe x-ray. He had an illness once that could have turned out to have been tragic but he did the right things and he’s fine.

Y- Brian has a youthful looking partner and is himself aging well. I guess all that expensive anti-aging crap he buys is working.

Z- Zeus, at least according to his partner, Brian is a god. I don’t see him that way, I see him as a man. A very complex man but a man nonetheless.

I realize that this paper is very unconventional, but Brian Kinney is an unconventional man. I am not one of his favorite people, but that didn’t stop him from helping me and my life partner to get married. When our marriage was on the verge of breaking up, Brian was there to help us find the reasons to fight to make it work.

Brian Kinney is a good father. I wish I could say otherwise but take one look at his kids and you’d know it’s the truth.

He stays at the cutting edge in his field and is not afraid to take certain risks. He knows when to rely on his own instincts and when to ask for help from his trusted friends, family and associates. I wish I could learn how to do that. Then again if Brian Kinney can learn to do that, maybe I can too. I hate to admit it but there are times when I ask myself, what would Brian Kinney do in a situation like this?

He still irritates me and I find him exasperating, but he’s an integral part of my life and my family. Without him, I don’t think there would be a family. And that’s what makes him so irritating.

The End.



*****



“Mr. Hawk?”

“I’ve told you to call me Dennis.”

“I prefer Mr. Hawk,” Hunter replied.

“Suit yourself,” Hawk said with a feral grin. This kid thought he was onto Dennis Hawk, but he had no idea. “What can I do for you?”

“You said you’d like to talk to some of the kids who’ve gone through the Center.”

“That’s right.”

“I’ve got a list.”

“Hand selected no doubt.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Hunter asked even though he knew exactly what Hawk meant.

“You want me to talk to this select group who will give me only the most glowing of reports about the Center … and about one Brian Kinney.”

“They will tell you the truth of what their lives were like before they found the Center,” Hunter corrected him. “And what’s happened since.”

“Maybe it will be the truth for them, but what about some of your less successful clients?” Hawk asked pointedly.

“I…”

“Don’t bother explaining. I’ve been through this kind of thing before. Arrange your meeting and I’ll listen.”

“You’re so magnanimous,” Hunter said sarcastically.

“It’s the least I can do,” Hawk replied with a chuckle that held no humor at all. “You’ve been so cooperative. Let me know when you’ve got it all arranged.”

There was a click as Hawk cut the connection. Hunter pulled the phone away from his ear and looked at the receiver. This was not going to be easy. He set the receiver back on its base, hoping that the family’s plan would work.



*****



“Hello?”

“Mr. Kinney?”

“Yes, who is this?”

“Curtis … Curtis Samuels.”

“Ah, Curtis my boy, what can I do for you?”

“I have something to ask you. I hope it’ll be all right,” Curtis said carefully.

Brian felt his brow furrow at Curtis’ words. Did the kid want money? That’s usually what people wanted from him. “Ask away,” Brian said with a sigh.

“I have an assignment to do for school,” Curtis began.

“A school assignment?” Brian asked. This was not what he had been expecting.

“Yes, Mr. Kinney.”

“What does this have to do with me?”

“I have to write a paper about the person who has had the greatest impact on my life.”

“Oh, so you want some information about Raph or Hector? I’m sorry but I don’t know much about them; I’m sure you already know…”

“No, Mr. Kinney, it’s not Raph or Hector, although, I did consider writing about them.”

“Hunter then? I can probably help you with that. I know a lot about the Center and Hunter’s background…”

“No, not Hunter. I want to write about you,” Curtis blurted out.

“Me? I’m just some guy you mugged,” Brian tried to joke.

“No, no, you’re not,” Curtis stated. “You’re much more.”

“You really want to write this paper about me?”

“I do.”

“So, why are you calling me about this? Why not just write it?”

“I already have … most of it anyway,” Curtis admitted.

“I still don’t see why you need to call me, Curtis,” Brian said getting a little testy with the lad.

“Because I have to hand in the paper I write, and I could be asked to read it in front of the class.”

“Oh?”

“It occurred to me that you might not be too happy if I reveal some of the stuff that happened between us. JR was really surprised about the knife and…”

“You told JR about our … encounter?” Brian asked as his eyebrow shot up.

“Yeah, she wanted to read what I had written so far.”

“I … I don’t know about this, Curtis,” Brian said slowly.

“I was afraid you’d say that,” Curtis sighed. “I almost have the paper done, but I’ll start over if you don’t want me writing about you.”

Brian thought for a moment. He wasn’t sure he wanted everyone knowing about the knife, and Curtis trying to cut him.

“Mr. Kinney?” Curtis said as the silence on the line lasted for quite a while.

“Yeah, I’m still here.”

“So, do you want me to write about Raph and Hector instead … or Hunter? I’ll do that if you want.”

“Curtis, I … first let me say that I’m really impressed that you thought to ask me about writing this paper. Most kids would have just done whatever they wanted and not thought about the consequences.”

“I … I really appreciate all that you’ve done for me, Mr. Kinney. I don’t want to do something that would upset you.”

“Do you think I could see a copy of your paper before you hand it in?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“If there’s anything I really object to, would you take it out of the paper?”

“Yeah, I could do that,” Curtis agreed beginning to feel like Mr. Kinney might let him do this paper.

“Okay, then finish it and email it to me. I’ll let you know what I think.”

“That’s great, Mr. Kinney. Thanks, thanks for everything. I’ll email you a copy in a couple of days,” Curtis promised.

Brian smiled. “Don’t make me too much of a martyr or too much of a villain. I did what I wanted to do.”

Curtis smiled. “Thanks,” he said as he set the phone down. Now he needed some way to sum up what Brian Kinney had done for him and then he could send the email the paper to the man himself.



*****



“It’s done,” John announced to no one in particular. He didn’t notice Bobby rounding the stairs.

“Your paper is done already?”

“Not my paper, my dedication to Brian.”

“Oh. May I hear it?”

“If you’d like. I took your suggestion and kept it simple. Shall I read it to you?”

“Please,” Bobby said with a smile as he made himself comfortable on the pull-out sofa in the office. John cleared his throat then began to read.

“I devote this architectural research into my fascination with cottages to my brother Brian Kinney.

For most of my life I led a quiet and calm existence. I got up in the morning, went to work in my construction company and when I wasn’t raising roofs with my friend and business partner, I was wrangling cows and harvesting wheat on my mother’s farm. Life was pretty simple. Until the Summer of 2005 when a unique man came barreling into my life, turning it upside down when he announced that he was my brother.

Life has never been the same.

Thanks to him, I’ve gained knowledge regarding my ancestry, learned the truth about myself, found a life partner, have a son and one of the largest extended families in the state of Pennsylvania. If not for him, I’d still be on that farm.

I live in awe of him, and am forever grateful to him.”

“What do you think?”

“I think it’s lovely.”

“Lovely? Do real men say lovely?”

“This real man does. John, your devotion is simple, to the point and is sincerely written from your heart. It is lovely and I think Brian will be pleased.”

“And you’re not insulted that I devoted the paper to Brian.”

“No, babe, I bless the day you two met just as much as you do, because he led you to me.”

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 9






“Ashley!” Bree yelled as she ran out of the school and saw her friend waiting on the sidewalk.

“Hi, Bree.”

“Are you waiting for your mommy?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, there’s my Daddy’s car,” Bree said as she saw Justin’s SUV pull into the lot.

“You better go,” Ashley said with a sigh. Her mother was supposed to be picking her up after school, but there was no sign of her. She’d wait by herself, as she sometimes did.

Bree looked at the SUV and then at her friend. “I can’t wait till the weekend and the sleepover at your place.”

Ashley smiled at her friend. “Me either,” she grinned.

“Bree, Ashley,” Brian called as he got out of the SUV.

“Here, Dada,” Bree called. “Why are you calling Ashley?”

“Ashley’s mother is running late and asked me to pick her up,” Brian explained as the two girls ran over to him. “You don’t mind coming home with us until your mother arrives, do you, little lady?”

“Nope,” Ashley said with a big grin.

“She told me she’d clear it through the school office,” Brian said as he waved to the monitor on duty. The woman merely waved back, so Brian assumed it was okay to take the little girl with him.

Patrick ran over to them just then. “Hi, Uncle Bri.”

“Hey, little Red, you don’t mind riding up front with me, do you?”

“No, why?” Patrick asked with a pleased smile.

“I put your old booster seat in the back for Ashley. Let’s get you ladies strapped in.”

“I’ll help, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said confidently as he helped Ashley get the seat belt buckled around her.

“Thanks, kiddo,” Brian said with a grin. “You’re becoming quite the man.”

“I know,” Patrick replied as he climbed into the front seat and did up his own seatbelt.

“Let’s get this show on the road.”

Brian drove them to Edna’s Cottages. He hardly got a word in edgewise as the girls babbled on and on to each other. Patrick merely rolled his eyes and enjoyed riding up front.

“And we have arrived,” Brian informed them as he pulled the SUV to a stop in front of the cottages. “Last stop, everybody out.”

“Silly Dada,” Bree replied. “We know we’re here.”

The girls ran into the house leaving Brian and Patrick to carry their backpacks for them.

“Women,” Brian groused good naturedly.

“Yeah, women,” Patrick parroted.

Brian flung his arm over Patrick’s shoulder and they followed the young ladies into the house.

Some time later Brian poured himself a cup of coffee as he had dinner all prepared and in the oven. He walked over to the entrance to the sun porch to see what his two charges were doing. Justin had made a milk run to the general store. Two growing girls who liked chocolate milk had cleaned them out. Brian could hear Ashley’s voice loud and clear as he approached.

“Ashley, that sounded real good,” Bree said. She was ensconced on one of the chaises with her grey bunny on her lap, Brian noted, and Ashley was just inside the doorway where he stood. He wondered what the two girls were up to. “Start over again,” Bree commanded.

Brian waited, wondering what was going on.

Ashley cleared her throat rather obviously, and Brian had to smile. He wondered if they were making up a play or something.

“The person who had the most influence on my life,” Ashley began, “other than my mommy, is not one person but a family of people. It’s my best friend Bree’s family, the Kinney-Taylors.”

That made Brian smile to himself. He didn’t think Ashley knew about any of the things they had done for the little girl, like the camp scholarship. Even though Ashley’s mother knew, Brian didn’t think she would have told her daughter. And there were other things that even Susanna didn’t know about.

“Bree is very lucky. She has two daddies, and I don’t have none.”

Brian drew in a breath. This was an unexpected revelation. Now he couldn’t turn away. He wanted to hear more.

“I was going to talk about Bree because she’s my best friend. She helped me when some kids were calling me names and saying I was ugly. Bree told them she’d kick their … you know what’s … if they didn’t leave me alone. I really liked that she did that for me. But then her Dada said we should tell the teacher. We did and things have been better ever since, and Bree didn’t have to beat anyone up.

“Her other Daddy lets us paint with him. He’s a famous artist. I really like painting, but I’m not very good at it, not like Bree. She’s real good.

“Her Dada, though, always helps me and tells me how nice I look and how smart I am. He calls me little lady, and I like that. For a long time I didn’t think I was very pretty or smart. My daddy didn’t like me or he would have stayed with us.”

Brian felt his heart wrench in his chest. He wondered where Ashley’s father was these days. Brian would love to have a few carefully chosen words with the man.

Ashley continued, “Now, I know I look okay and everybody in the Kinney-Taylor family thinks I’m smart. I like going to their house. I always have fun there. Mr. Kinney tells me he likes my dress or my hair barrette. He notices stuff like that. He also talks to me like a grown up. I really like when he does that.

“Anyway, the Kinney-Taylors have really influenced my life. They make me feel really good about myself. I’m practicing this speech with Bree right now. I know it’s going to be good.”

Bree laughed and ran over to hug Ashley. “That was really, really good. Except that last part. You can’t say that to your class,” Bree cautioned.

“I know. I just added it on for you.”

Brian cleared his throat. “How would you little ladies like a small dish of ice cream? I believe we have some butter pecan in the freezer. I think you’ve deserved a treat for that lovely speech.”

“Yay!” the two girls yelled bouncing up and down as they held hands.

Brian grinned at their enthusiasm. He was breaking his own rules about sweets before dinner, but he wanted to do something special for the two children that stood in front of him. In all their innocence, they had made his day, his week, hell, his year. And rules were made to be broken.



*****



Curtis studied the screen on his computer. The new laptop had been his Christmas present from Raph and Hector. He could hardly believe his eyes when he had unwrapped it on Christmas Day. He knew he had wanted his own laptop for a long time, but he had refused to ask his parents for it. He thought it was just too much. After all they had done for him already, he didn’t have the nerve to ask for something so expensive.

And yet somehow they had known, and they had got it for him. Curtis couldn’t believe how his life had turned around. It was … everything a life was supposed to be. He couldn’t believe how lucky he was, especially after all the bad things that had happened to him in the last few years.

And so much of it was a result of his chance encounter with Brian Kinney.

Curtis read over the last paragraph of his paper once more. He liked it. He liked the whole paper. He just hoped Mr. Kinney would like it, because he didn’t want to have to change it, or start all over again writing about someone else.

Curtis made an attachment and put in Brian Kinney’s email address. Holding his breath for a second, he clicked on send. And it was done. Now all he had to do was wait for Mr. Kinney’s response.



*****



“Ms. Marcus, Hunter’s on line one for you,” Mel’s assistant said through the intercom. Hunter and his clinic held a very special place in the GLBT community. Unless Mel had given explicit instructions not to be disturbed, she would always take Hunter’s call.

“Hi, Hunter,” Mel said as she picked up her phone.

“Hey, Mel. Do you have a few minutes? I have a problem and I could use your advice.”

“My advice? Don’t you usually go to Brian or Bobby when you have a problem?” Mel said trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice. It would have been one hell of a coup if Melanie and her firm represented Hunter and the Jason Kemp Clinic.

“This involves Brian, so I’d rather leave him out of it for the moment. Bobby would take this straight to Brian.”

“I’m intrigued. Can we do this over the phone or do you want me to come to you?”

“No, don’t come here. This is going to sound weird, but can you meet me at Deb’s in about an hour?”

“I thought Debbie and Carl were chasing the sun?”

“They are. You have a key, right?”

“Yeah, we all do. I think we’re on the ‘water the plants’ roster in a few weeks.”

“Then can you get there first? I might be followed.”

“Hunter, do we need to get the police involved?”

“No. Just trust me, Melanie. Please. I’ll explain when I see you.”

“All right, I’ll pack it up and head over now. You get there when you can and then I want an explanation,” Mel said sternly.

“Yes, ma’am, you’ll get it.”



*****



“So what’s with all this cloak and dagger stuff? And what’s it got to do with the asshole?” Mel said as she faced off with Hunter in Deb’s kitchen. She was about to water one of Deb’s plants that was beginning to look brown. Hunter stuck his finger in the flower pot then stopped her. “Huh?” Mel questioned.

“It’s too wet,” Hunter explained. “This plant likes it a little dry; that’s why it’s looking brown. It needs to dry out for a few days before it gets watered again.”

“Oh,” Mel said as she dumped out the small watering can. “Does everyone know about plants but me?” she mumbled to herself. “So spill,” she said out loud.

Hunter told Melanie about his meetings and conversations with Dennis Hawk.

“Shit,” Mel let out. “You know I’ve always liked Hawk’s Prey. He doesn’t pull any punches. And he’s usually right about the people he investigates. I wonder why he’s going after Brian and why now after all this time? It doesn’t make any sense. Do any of your graduates have any beef with Brian?”

“Mel, I only have three graduates that have ever met Brian.”

“Who?” Mel couldn’t think of any.

“My first, Frankie, then Lacy and Curtis.”

“Duh!” Mel exclaimed as she bopped herself in the forehead. “I forgot about Frankie. He’s in computers, right?”

“Yes, he is. He finished college, reconciled with his father and he just got a job in Brandon’s company. He’s doing so well,” Hunter said proudly.

“You know, I think of Lacy and Curtis as part of our family, so it didn’t occur to me how they first came into our lives.”

“I know what you mean,” Hunter said as he picked up a small chachka that sat on Deb’s mantle. “Melanie, I realize Brian is not one of your favorite people but he hasn’t done anything wrong. His reasons for starting the clinic were in part because of me. And kids like Frankie. He had no ulterior motive. He doesn’t deserve to be persecuted.”

“I agree.”

“You do?”

“Yes.”

“With which part?”

“All of it. Brian has never been one of my favorite people but, and I really hate admitting this, if it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have Lindsay or Gus. I wouldn’t be a part of our family. And I know he has no other motive than trying to prevent another Jason Kemp from happening.”

Mel was quiet for a few moments. “So do you want me to sue Hawk’s ass?”

Hunter smiled. “No. I’m arranging a little party for some of the clinic’s graduates. Hawk wants to meet them to get to the truth about Brian. I just want you to be there. Your animosity toward Brian is well known on Liberty, but if you’re there to defend Brian...”

“Then Hawk will have to know that it’s legitimate,” Mel finished Hunter’s thought.

“I’m hoping that’s the case. If it doesn’t work...”

“Then I sue his ass!” Mel said with a sinister smile.

“Yeah,” Hunter said with his own smile.



*****



Brian stared at the computer screen. Was this his week for testimonials? He could hardly believe what he was reading. Brian thought about it for a moment. Then an unsettling thought occurred to him. Maybe his cancer had come back and everyone knew it except him. First there was Ashley, and now Curtis praising him and his actions. What the fuck was going on? The universe had gone completely off its path. Where had the Brian Kinney that everyone knew and detested gone?

Brian read the last two paragraphs of Curtis’ paper again, making sure he hadn’t totally missed the sarcasm with which it was probably written:

Brian Kinney saved my life. I know that I would not be where I am now without his help. I wouldn’t have a warm, safe home. I wouldn’t have two parents who love me and give me so much. I would still have been living on the streets, a runaway with no future, cold and bitter, robbing people to live. Or more likely I’d be dead. That’s usually what happens to kids like me – either from freezing to death or trying to steal from the wrong person who might be toting a gun instead of the rusty knife I carried. I owe my life to Brian Kinney, who with that one generous act of not having me arrested, gave me a chance for a whole new life.

If I get the chance, and it looks like I will, I want to grow up to be just like Brian Kinney. I don’t mean that I want to be an advertising executive. I don’t think I could do that. But I want to be kind and generous and understanding, even in a hard nosed way, just like Brian Kinney, the man who changed my life.

Nope, he hadn’t been wrong. Curtis seemed to think that this Brian Kinney person was a little bit of all right, more than a little bit in fact. Brian let this new idea roll around in his head. He had always tried to cover his tracks whenever he did something nice or generous. It now seemed that at least two people were onto him, Ashley and Curtis. And of course, Justin. Justin had always been onto him.

Brian smiled and then the smile faded. Brian’s brow furrowed and he thought about Dennis Hawk. There was at least one person out to crucify him. Even if Curtis’ class thought Brian Kinney was a kind, generous man, Dennis Hawk would clearly set them and everybody else straight.

Brian thought about his reputation as a hard-nosed asshole. That’s who he’d always been. He’d always prided himself on that fact. He needed to think about this. He wasn’t sure he wanted Curtis reading this to a class of high school airheads. Curtis made him sound too good to be true, and the class would probably laugh themselves silly.

“Fuck!” Brian muttered. He was worrying about Curtis getting laughed at, more than he was worrying about them laughing at him for being such a fucking soft touch.

“What’s wrong?” Justin asked as he entered Brian’s office.

“Um … nothing,” Brian replied quickly, turning off the monitor on his computer so Justin wouldn’t see what Curtis had written. He needed to think about what he was going to do in regards to this paper.

Justin eyed Brian suspiciously. It wasn’t like Brian to hide things from him, but that certainly seemed like what his husband was doing. “I put Bree to bed,” Justin said. “She wants to say goodnight to her Dada.”

Brian smiled. “I’ll go tuck her in.” He stood up and started out of the office. “Are you coming?”

“No, you go do your tucking. Read her a story. She seemed wide awake. I want to check something in my research on Kinney the artist.”

Brian frowned. “Okaaay.” He made his way down the spiral staircase.

Justin watched his husband disappear and then walked over to the desk. He sat down in the chair that Brian had just vacated. He pushed the button to turn on the monitor, and he started to read.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 10






“Hello?”

“Raph? Brian Kinney, here. Sorry to call so early.”

“It’s not that early. Curtis is just about to leave for school.”

“Good, I was hoping to catch him. May I speak to him, please?”

“Sure, hold on,” Raph said, curious, but he wasn’t going to pry. Curtis had on his coat and his backpack slung across one shoulder. He was ready to walk out the door. “Curtis, Brian Kinney is on the phone. He’s asking for you,” Raph told Curtis as he held out the phone.

Curtis’ pensive looking face took on a worried expression as he took the phone.

“Good morning, Mr. Brian,” Curtis said formally.

“Good morning, Curtis. I apologize for not getting back to you last night. I did receive your email and I read your paper.”

“What did you think about it?”

“What I think is irrelevant. What do you think about it?”

Curtis wasn’t sure what Brian wanted to know. But he didn’t think that Brian sounded angry. He carefully considered his next words. “I think I presented the facts as I saw them.”

“You think?” Brian quickly replied.

“No, I don’t have to think about it, I know I did.”

“And are you pleased with your paper?”

“Yes sir, I am. I fulfilled my assignment.”

“Then I say, present your paper and I hope you get a great score.”

“Thank you, Mr. Brian!” Curtis said with so much enthusiasm he was practically shouting.

“No, Curtis, thank you,” Brian said just before he hung up the phone.

“Son, is everything all right?” Raph asked Curtis.

“Yes, Dad, everything is great! Mr. Brian gave me permission to submit my paper,” Curtis said as he gave his father a hug then hurried off to school before he became late.



*****



“Bree!” Ashley called out as her class entered the lunch room. She was sporting a smile that rivaled Bree’s. The best of friends sat next to each other as they took out their lunches.

“Did you give your report yet?” Briana asked.

“Yes and I got an ‘A’!”

“Yay!” Bree cried out as she flung her arms around her best friend. “I knew you could do it. You’re so smart.”

“Thank you for helping,” Ashley said as she bit into her apple.

The girls laid out all their extra goodies in their lunchboxes in rows in front of them and then carefully divided them up for each to share.



*****



“So do I get to interview some of your gay boys or do I write my article now with what little I know is true?” Dennis Hawk threatened.

“I’m not sure you know anything, true or otherwise, but yes, you may have your interviews. We’re having a reunion with some of our graduates. Come to the clinic Saturday afternoon around one. But, Mr. Hawk, let me make this clear, our graduates are all of legal age; they have the right to tell you to get lost.”

“I understand. All I’m after is the truth.”

“That’s what they all say. I’ll see you Saturday,” Hunter resisted slamming down the phone as he hung up on Dennis Hawk.

Hunter sat for a while. The clinic was quiet at the moment. The winter months were usually very busy for the clinic. Homeless and desperate street kids, hookers and hustlers, Hunter wished he could help them all. Sometimes he couldn’t. Then there were the older ones, the ones beyond Hunter’s help, the ones that ran from the system. It pained him to know that they were out there, and he also knew that he could have been one of them or one of the nameless dead.

Hunter shook himself out of his temporary melancholy. He had work to do. He could concentrate on the ones that were in his care and on his streets. If he did his best with them, then there wouldn’t be any older ones. Hunter sought satisfaction with that. He checked his watch then picked up the phone.

“Vanessa, this is Hunter, is Judge Schultz free?”



*****



“Brian,” John said softly as he walked into Brian’s office. Brian had made one of his spectacular breakfasts for the family, then feigning work, he sequestered himself up in his office.

“John?”

“It’s time to go.”

“Kids?”

“They’ll spend the day with Rachel. Bobby’s parents and my mother and Steve will be coming over later tonight. Rach wants to do a family dinner.”

“The kids will be happy to spend the day with Rachel and the family,” Brian said with a wistful tone.

“Rachel’s girls are coming home for the day too. Bree’ll be happy,” John added. Brian nodded.

Brian sighed, shut down his computer then followed his brother down the stairs.



*****



“Justin?” Brian called into the bedroom.

“On the phone. I’ll be there in a minute.”

Brian shrugged his coat on. John had gone back to his side of Edna’s Treasures to get his own coat, and Bobby. Brian sat at the kitchen table while he waited for everyone to appear. They were his support system, he thought, and he was glad to have them coming with him. But he’d rather not be doing this at all.

Why did so many things turn out to be all about him? This had started as a simple newspaper article about the Jason Kemp Center and now it was a goddamned intervention to defend his fucking reputation. Like it was ever going to change anything anyway. There would always be someone with a grudge or a supposed slight who was ready to take on the infamous Brian Kinney. That seemed to be his lot in life.

Brian remembered the days when he didn’t give a fuck what anyone thought of him. He wondered what had happened to those days. He supposed Justin had happened, and then Gus, and later Bree. Things had changed so much over the years. He actually had a fucking good reputation to defend. And he had people who were ready and willing to defend it. How times had changed!

“Brian,” Justin said as he came out of the bedroom. “You ready to go?”

“Just waiting for the denizens of the other side of this habitation to put in an appearance. Maybe they’ve changed their minds and decided not to come.”

“No way!” Justin replied quickly. “You know they’d defend you to the death.”

“Yeah,” Brian sighed, “just like someone else I know.” He looked into Justin’s eyes.

“You know I’ll always defend you, you big smoosh.”

“I used to be the Big Asshole,” Brian replied.

“That was a long time ago.”

“I just realized that.”

“About time,” Justin said setting down a folder so he could put his own coat on.

“What’s this?” Brian asked indicating the folder.

“Um … nothing,” Justin said quickly. When Brian raised an eyebrow, Justin added, “Just some notes that I made.”

“You wrote down things to defend me?” Brian asked in surprise.

Justin shrugged. “I don’t think Dennis Hawk is going to be interested in my opinion. But I’m prepared in case he asks me anything.”

“Thanks,” Brian said simply as he kissed Justin’s temple.

“Let’s get going,” John said as he hurried in from his side of the cottage. Bobby followed right behind him. “We want to get there before Hawk does.”

“Shouldn’t I make a grand entrance,” Brian asked, tongue in cheek.

“Just behave yourself, and let the rest of us do the talking,” Bobby admonished.

“Why the fuck am I even going?” Brian griped.

“Because Hawk has some ulterior motive where you’re concerned, and we’re going to find out what it is, and put it to rest once and for all.”

“If you say so, boss,” Brian snarked.

They made their way out to the car.



*****



John’s big Lincoln Navigator entered the suburbs of Pittsburgh. In another few minutes they would be at Liberty Avenue and then the Jason Kemp Center.

“Brian, you okay?” John asked.

“Yeah.”

“You’ve been so quiet all the way here.”

Brian looked down at his hand. It rested on the seat beside him, Justin’s fingers woven into his. “What’s to say?”

“It’s going to be all right,” Bobby said trying to be reassuring.

“I fucking hate this,” Brian retorted. “Why the fuck do I care what that asshole writes about me.”

“It isn’t just you,” Bobby reminded him. “He’ll be writing about the Center too. Hunter doesn’t need bad publicity.”

Brian sighed. He knew Bobby was right, but that didn’t make it any easier. He had always refused to defend himself and his actions. His mantra had been to let the assholes think what they wanted. He never cared. Now it seemed he did care, and that fucking made everything a big mess.

Justin squeezed Brian’s hand. “It’s going to be fine,” he whispered.

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes, I do,” Justin said firmly. “I refuse to let anything bad happen to you or the Center.”

“Sure, All Powerful One,” Brian said sarcastically.

“I’m JT, remember. I make things right for Rage.”

Brian snorted. “You and Mikey and your fucking comic book heroes.”

“You’re my hero, always have been, always will be,” Justin whispered as he leaned over and kissed Brian’s cheek.

Brian turned his head and kissed his husband in earnest. “I hate bringing all this on … everyone.”

“We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t want to be,” John assured him.

“I know, but…”

“There is no but, little bro’. We’re family; we stick together. And nobody gets away with threatening anyone that we love,” John said adamantly.

“Got that right,” Bobby agreed.

“Jeez, it’s embarrassing being around you fucking pair of Pollyannas,” Brian said, although the sarcasm didn’t quite come across.

John and Bobby kept their faces pointed forward, so Brian couldn’t see the smiles that Brian’s statement brought to their visages. They both knew the old Brian Kinney was back when he talked like that.

“I love you,” Justin whispered. “We’ll get through this with flying colors.”

“Yeah,” Brian said, and there was an edge of steel in his voice.

John pulled into a parking space outside the Jason Kemp Center.

“Showtime!” Bobby said as he got out of the SUV.



*****



“Here you go, Mr. Hawk,” said a thin androgynous looking person who handed Hawk a plate of surprisingly appetizing looking hors d’oeuvres.

“Thank you,” Hawk replied politely. “Um?” Hawk had a confused look on his face.

“Lacy, and don’t worry, I get that a lot,” Lacy said with an amused smirk.

“How do you know Hunter?” Hawk asked as he took a cautious nibble on a Swedish meatball. Hunter had asked Lacy to do the catering, since she was one of the center’s most accomplished graduates and one who decided to give back to the center and the neighborhood.

“Everyone on Liberty Avenue knows of the Hunter-man.”

“But do you know what they do here?” Hawk leaned in to speak to Lacy confidentially.

“Yes, I do,” Lacy answered seriously. “If it wasn’t for Hunter and Brian Kinney I probably wouldn’t be alive. Or if I was, I’d probably be dying of AIDS or some other disease and most likely coked up. You see, Mr. Hawk, I’m one of the grads,” Lacy announced proudly.

“But you’re a girl!” Hawk declared the obvious.

“And you didn’t know that until I began to talk to you. No one knew and I kept it that way while I was on the street. It kept me alive while I hustled.”

“You mean hooked.”

“No. I was good working in the shadows, not letting my tricks cop too much of a feel and I have a great ass. That’s all they wanted, so I hustled, until Hunter, Brian and Justin helped me. And now I help them, whenever I can.”

“How?” Hawk set his plate on a nearby table to take out his pad. “Do you mind if I write?”

“No, but before I go on, what are you really doing here?” Lacy asked as she narrowed her gaze on Hawk’s face.

“I’m doing a story on the kids that Hunter and the clinic helped,” Hawk said with as much conviction as he could muster.

“Mr. Hawk, it may be years since I turned my last trick but I know when I’m being hustled. Brian Kinney and Hunter have saved countless lives via this clinic, mine included. And they’ve raised the economic status of this area. This street was once lower than pond scum, but now it’s beautiful and full of life. And that’s because of Brian and Hunter.” Lacy picked up Hawk’s plate then walked away.

“Trust a fag to insult a lesbian,” Melanie growled at Hawk. She had come into the clinic just in time to witness Hawk’s exchange with Lacy.

“Do I know you?” Hawk asked Mel.

“Yes, we’ve met at a few GLC functions and at the local GLBT business association. Melanie Marcus, attorney,” Mel said as she extended her hand.

“Yes, Ms. Marcus, I remember,” Hawk replied as he shook her hand firmly. “You’ve been a member of the GLC for...”

“Longer than I care to admit. I hear you’re doing an exposé on Brian Kinney.”

“Who told you that?”

“I like to keep tabs on Kinney’s dealings.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t like him. I’ve never liked him, but unfortunately I’m related to him. And other than him being an asshole, he’s been a model citizen and an asset to our community for a lot of years now.”

“How are you related?”

“He fathered my son.”

“You had Kinney’s son?”

“Fuck no! My partner is the biological mother. I wouldn’t touch that cocksucker’s sperm with a ten foot pole.”

“You don’t like him, but you’re defending him?”

“I’d defend anyone who was being railroaded for no good reason,” Mel said honestly.

“And you believe that Kinney started up this clinic for the simple reason that he wanted to clean up the streets.”

“Nothing is simple with Brian. He’s the most complicated person I have ever met. But for lack of a better explanation, yes. Brian’s one of those kinds of people one would call a visionary. He literally had a dream and it frightened him. Instead of ignoring it like most of us would, he did something about it. As a result not only did he create this clinic, but he made it possible to educate and employ the kids that graduated out of here.”

“And how are these kids employed? Just what do they have to do for Kinney?”

“For Kinney? What the hell are you talking about? Brian has sunk his money into the clinic and that’s it. He networks in the community and provides pro bono PR.”

“What does he ask in return?”

“You see that poster over there, the one under Jason Kemp’s picture?”

“Yes.”

“Read it. It’s the mission of this place. That’s what Brian asks in return.”

Mel joined Lacy who was serving lunch to the guests, as Hawk went to read the poster.

“Do you think he’ll get it?” Lacy asked Mel as she handed her a salad.

“I’m not sure. He’s gunning for Brian and I don’t know why.”

“Could he have been one of Brian’s tricks?”

“You know about them? It was a very long time ago.”

“I know but some people have long memories on the avenue. The kids don’t give a crap; it’s only your generation that sometimes gets obsessed with the past. At the diner when the night shift gets off, the older guys will come in for dinner or a cup of coffee before they drive home. They talk, they remember the good old days when Brian Kinney would fuck his way through Babylon.”

“And they’re nostalgic about it?”

“They’re men,” Lacy answered shaking her head and then giving a shrug of her shoulders.

“Hmph, men,” Mel grumbled, shaking hers as well.

Brian, Justin, John and Bobby entered the clinic as Dennis Hawk was reading the rules.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

All About Brian


Chapter 11






“Hey, guys,” Hunter said as he approached the Edna’s Treasures family. “Glad you got here.”

“We thought we’d arrive before Hawk got here,” John said.

“Too late. That’s him over there,” Hunter replied cocking his head towards the reporter who was stuffing finger foods in his mouth, as he read the mission statement for the Center.

“Lovely,” Brian said sarcastically.

“Do you recognize him by any chance?” Hunter asked.

“No, should I?”

“Just wondered if maybe you had, you know…”

“Fucked him?” Brian asked with a derisive grin. “Not that I remember, but that doesn’t mean anything. If he’s gay, there’s a good chance…”

“Brian,” Justin interrupted slipping his hand into Brian’s. “You don’t need to… What’s done is done.”

“Yeah,” Brian conceded. He glanced at Hawk who seemed to be giving them the once over. Brian wasn’t sure what he saw in Hawk’s expression. “Who are all these kids?” he asked looking at the young people.

Hunter chuckled. “The graduates of the Center.”

“I don’t recognize any of them,” Brian said looking around.

“Yes, you do. Lacy, and of course Frankie.”

“Frankie’s here?”

“Yes, he is.”

“How’s he doing?” Brian asked.

“Just great. Why don’t you go talk to him?”

“I could use a drink,” Brian said.

“We don’t have any alcohol.”

“A fucking soda! Or coffee,” Brian reacted.

“Here you go, your majesty,” Bobby said sticking a can of Diet Coke in Brian’s hand. “If your throat dries up take a sip.”

“You’re just full of good advice, Red.”

“That’s me,” Bobby laughed. Brian felt some of the tension ease out of him. Bobby grinned at him and then squeezed his arm reassuringly.

“Mr. Kinney,” a young man said rather tentatively.

“Frankie, right?” Brian asked, as the rest of Brian’s support group moved away, leaving Brian and Frankie to talk alone.

“Yeah, I wanted to thank you for starting the Center and helping me find a life.”

“Then it all worked out properly,” Brian said with a small grin. He remembered how seeing Frankie on the street that day so long ago had affected him. He didn’t want any young person to have to live like that.

Justin moved over toward Hawk, while Brian was occupied with Frankie. “Hello,” he said to the reporter, when the person he had been talking to moved away.

“Yes?” Hawk asked imperiously. He liked letting people know they were beneath him. Then he realized that he was talking to Justin Taylor, Kinney’s partner and a world renowned artist.

“I’m Justin Taylor.”

“Yes, I recognized you. Still with Kinney?”

“Yes, and will be for as long as we live.”

Hawk snorted. “I doubt that.”

“I don’t know what you think of Brian, but obviously it isn’t very much. I want you to know that Brian Kinney has changed over the years. He’s my partner, my husband, father to our children and a very successful businessman. He’s not the philandering asshole that some people remember.” Justin looked pointedly at Hawk, clearly placing Hawk in that latter category.

“I get it, okay?” Hawk said. “You’ve done your job as faithful spouse and lap dog.”

“I beg your pardon,” Justin reacted.

“You heard me. You’ve done the required job of praising your spouse.”

“It’s good to know that I’ve met the expected criteria,” Justin said sarcastically. “Here’s something unexpected. Read this!” Justin pulled a paper out of the folder he had brought from home. He shoved it towards Hawk knowing that the man probably wouldn’t bother to read it.

“What is this?” Hawk asked scanning the page.

“It’s a paper written by a 16 year old kid whose life was saved by the Center and by Brian Kinney. Not that you want to hear anything good about the Center … or about Brian.”

“How do I know you didn’t write this?”

“I wouldn’t waste my time on you, Mr. Hawk. It just so happens that Curtis had to write this paper for school. He sent Brian a copy. I thought you might be interested in what he had to say, but I guess it was a waste of time bringing it. Read the last couple of paragraphs if nothing else. They’re very enlightening.”

Justin turned abruptly and made his way over to Lacy. He was afraid if he said anything more, he’d call Hawk the pompous asshole that he found him to be.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine, whatcha doin’?”

“Jesus, Brian, do you have to sneak up on me?”

“It’s one of my foolish pleasures.”

Justin chuckled. “Asshole,” he said affectionately.

“Ah, I see you’ve been converted to the dark side,” Brian said looking over at Hawk.

“Never.”

“So what were you giving Hawk – a bribe, your number…?”

Justin shook his head, but couldn’t help smiling. There would always be some of the old Brian Kinney inside the new Brian Kinney. “Neither,” Justin said emphatically.

“What was it?” Brian asked.

“I thought you were talking to Frankie.”

“I was. He’s doing … good. So, what were you slipping to Hawk?”

“I wasn’t slipping him anything. If you must know, I gave him a copy of Curtis’ paper.”

“Someone’s been snooping,” Brian said acerbically.

“Sometimes someone has to.”

“Does Curtis know?”

“I have his permission. That’s who I was on the phone with just before we left home.”

“Ah, home, can we go there now?”

“Not yet,” Justin said bluntly.

“I was afraid you were going to say that.”

“You know me so well.”



*****



“Judge Schultz, fancy meeting you here,” Hawk said as the family court judge entered the room.

“Mr. Hawk, I heard you were here trying to cause trouble for these good people. Don’t you have other more deserving organizations to harass?”

“Not at the moment.”

“Why are you here?”

“Just making sure the whore of Liberty Avenue isn’t taking any liberties with these kids. But apparently even if something illegal was going on around here these ‘good’ people wouldn’t tell me about it.”

“That’s because there’s nothing to tell other than this center has saved a lot lives and has significantly lowered the spread of HIV/AIDS and other STDs in teenagers in this community. Mr. Hawk, be straight with me...”

Hawk chuckled.

Ignoring it, the judge continued. “What exactly is your beef with the Center and with Brian Kinney?”

“Last summer I got a tip that a teenage boy came through the Center and was turned down for services. I tried to track down the kid but was informed that all records are confidential. The caller also implied that the reason he was turned down was because he wouldn’t put out for Kinney.”

“The records are confidential especially if the child is under age. The counselors consult with me or my colleagues at family court and a guardian is appointed.”

“So why would a kid be turned down?”

“I don’t know. Did you bother to ask Hunter or Karen?”

“Would they tell me the truth?”

“Depends on how you ask the question. Why don’t we ask now? Karen, would you mind joining us,” Judge Schultz called over Hunter’s right hand woman and co-counselor. Karen had been with the Center almost from its conception.

“Judge Schultz, so good to see you. What can I do for you?” Karen asked trying to be cordial in spite of Hawk’s scrutiny.

“Karen, did a boy come through here last summer and get turned down for services?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, there was. Although that’s not quite how it happened.”

“And I’m sure you have a plausible explanation,” Hawk said as sarcastically as he could.

“Yes, I do, the young man was lying,” Karen stated plainly.

“Lying? Why would anyone lie about being homeless or hustling for lunch money,” Hawk asked incredulously.

“Several reasons, but let me give you a little background on how we work around here,” Karen said as she led Hawk and Judge Schultz toward the poster with the rules and mission of the clinic. “Our kids come to us desperate, battered, hungry, without hope, with little self respect or confidence. Sometimes they’re runaways, sometimes they’ve been kicked out because they’re gay or perceived as gay. And sometimes they just fall into a bad crowd and don’t know how to get out. They’re hungry, dirty and more often than not, sick. We clean them up, feed them, get them medical attention and counseling. We offer whatever services that are appropriate to the individual. You’ve met Frankie, he was our first. He was a runaway. He thought he couldn’t go back to his family because he was gay and was hustling. Ultimately, with help from some of our supporters, we were able to reunite him with his father. He’s doing very well.”

“That’s nice to hear but what does this have to do with the other kid? Does he have a name?”

“Of course he does, but he’s underage and even though he never was officially one of our kids, I must protect him.”

“Great, so it’s your word against his,” Hawk said as he turned to walk away.

“Mr. Hawk, I wasn’t done,” Karen said in a tone that brooked no argument. She had dealt with much tougher than Dennis Hawk. He didn’t intimidate her.

“Get to the point,” Hawk demanded.

“The young man in question knew enough of how we operate to try faking being homeless to get employment placement and temporary housing. He was neither homeless nor in need of one of our jobs.”

“How did you know?”

“Mr. Hawk, I’ve been a family counselor for a very long time. I’m not that easy to fool. He wasn’t underweight, dirty enough or desperate enough. And I recognized his picture from the society pages of your newspaper.”

“What?”

“Junior prom king, I believe at St. James Academy.”

“Shit! So I was scammed?”

“Apparently. I put an end to the sham pretty quickly and escorted the young man to the door.”

“But what does this have to do with Mr. Kinney?” Judge Schultz asked.

“From what I remember Brian was spending a lot of time at Kinnetik which is not too far from here. He has a habit of coming here, checking things out and making donations,” Karen explained fondly with a smile. “Most people on Liberty know about Brian Kinney and his association with the clinic, perhaps the young man was angry at me and decided to hurt us through Brian.”

“You’re smiling,” Hawk stated the obvious.

“I can’t help it. You have to know Brian to understand.”

“I know Brian Kinney,” Hawk grumbled. “What type of donations does he make?” Hawk asked clearly.

“It depends. Sometimes it’s food for the pantry or new bedding for the dorms or toiletries for the bathroom. One time we got a delivery of computers and a variety of music CDs. He just pops in and things show up within a day or two.”

“And he never asks for anything in return?”

“Just that the kids work hard to abide by the rules,” Karen replied.

“Mr. Hawk, I’m curious, why now? You say you got this alleged tip last summer. What took you so long to investigate?” the judge asked.

“Timing, lack of information and although I did try to find the kid, he seemed to have disappeared. When he didn’t pester me to follow up, it got pushed aside. I just recently found my notes. I thought I’d poke around and shake things up a bit.”

“Got a little bit more than you bargained for, didn’t you?” the judge asked.

“Kinney was a bastard,” Hawk sneered. “I never believed he could change.”

“Mr. Hawk, change is what this center is all about,” Karen said. “Our kids come here to turn their lives around. Perhaps the Brian Kinney you knew, no longer exists.”

“So I’ve been told,” Hawk said as he shook each lady’s hand then walked away.

“Think he got it?” Karen asked with a sigh.

“Maybe,” Judge Schultz replied.



*****



“Hawk! I want a word with you,” John growled as he stepped up to Dennis Hawk. John had waited until Hawk was alone. Hawk had had a brief but eye opening interview with Frankie. He took one large step back, as the angry Brian lookalike stepped into his personal space.

“And you are?” Hawk asked softly.

“John Anderson, Brian Kinney is my brother and I’m warning you, we will sue you for slander if you print anything...”

“Mr. Anderson, let me assure you, my article will be a positive one and only about the Center itself. If I do mention Brian Kinney, it will only be to give him credit for having the forethought of thinking up the idea for the clinic,” Hawk said quickly.

“What changed your mind?” John asked, his anger all but dispelled.

“The Jason Kemp alumni and the Center’s supporters. No matter what I may personally think about Brian Kinney, I can not dispute the facts. But mainly, I can read the writing on the wall,” Hawk said as he cocked his head toward the poster under picture of the clinic’s namesake.

John nodded his head then rejoined his family.



*****



After a few hours, the reunion was winding down. Before leaving, the graduates each gave their heartfelt thanks to Hunter, Karen and to Brian and his family. Dennis Hawk had his interviews and was preparing to leave as well. He cornered Brian who was speaking with Lacy.

“You still want to take a shot at me?” Brian asked Hawk.

“No. It would serve no purpose other than get me in a hell of a lot of trouble with several prominent people, including a family court judge and a lawyer known for advocating for the underdog. I just want to know one thing.”

“And that is?” Brian could only surmise what that one thing was.

“Is it true you gave up tricking?”

“Yes.”

“I was a pretty good fuck, back then, still am,” Hawk said as a come-on but with a tone of defiance.

“I don’t doubt it,” Brian said in a dolce voice. He had had thousands of nameless fucks. Some better than others, some downright pathetic.

“So why were you such an asshole with that one time only rule?” Hawk asked as Justin walked over to them to stand at Brian’s side. Brian smiled softly at Justin.

“Because, why settle for pretty good, when I already have the best,” Brian replied as he bussed Justin’s temple. Draping his arm over Justin’s shoulder Brian led his family out of the clinic and on to home.

–end--



This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1194