You Belong to Me. by starlight
Summary:

Justin and Brian meet while Justin works for him. Brian ends up continuing to see Justin after and wants more than the occassional hook-up.

 

Lorie thanks for being my cheerleader as well as my Beta.


Categories: QAF US Characters: None
Tags: Bottom Brian, MPreg (Yup! Went THERE!), Out of Character, Toppy Justin
Genres: Alternate Universe, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 86495 Read: 225183 Published: Jan 26, 2018 Updated: Oct 18, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

34. Chapter 34 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

It might seem like there's a bit of Anti, but it's only a small amount.

BRIAN

 

I sat watching him, knowing today was goodbye for a few weeks. There were times when I wanted to tell him we didn't need to keep doing this, that I could deal with the shit having him in my life permanently would bring. In the end, we'd part ways the way we have since we met, not that it was what I wanted.

 

Sometimes I want to scream at him, because he acts like it doesn't matter that we won't see each other for long periods of times. Then I have to wonder why it's me that it bothers, when he was giving me everything I tell everyone I want; freedom to do what I want and not answer to anyone for what I do. Only now it's no longer what I want. I want all the things that come from relationships, even if I'm not sure if I can live with monogamy. It's not even something he cares about, and told me it's because he never knows where he'll be from one week to the next. He loves being able to pick up and go somewhere without worrying about anyone, which was his way of telling me that he didn't need me questioning him when he wasn't around.

 

The truth is he turned my world upside down the minute I met him.

 

In my world, people didn't question me or what I told people I wanted. They did what they were told and disappeared when I wanted them to. Only, Justin was different. He stood up to me and continued to do what he wanted. I ended up firing him. And his answer was to tell me good luck finding anyone who could do what he did. I looked at his ass as he walked out of the room without a care in the world. Even the fact that I could blacklist him from working didn't make him flinch. It made me follow him to the temporary office he was using and threaten to take away any chance he had of working in Advertising again. It was low, but I didn't know what to make of him not fearing my wrath the way everyone else did.

 

"I only agreed to help you out because I was curious about you," He told me, shrugging and acting like I should be the one begging him not to go.

 

"In this game, you either do what I say or you're out," I responded.

 

"Then, since I'm already out, I guess it won't matter if I do this," He said, as he grabbed the back of my head and covered my lips with his, licking the seams of my lips until I opened my mouth, groaning into the kiss I'd been dreaming about since the moment I first saw his lips.

 

He pushed me back against the door, closing and locking it. I barely registered anything until he backed away, pulling off his shirt. Then I watched him as he revealed the body I'd been trying to imagine in my head when he lounged on the couch, drawing during meetings with the team. I stood still as he started to undress me.

 

"I don't fuck in my office," I said, which was ridiculous when I was helping him remove my pants.

 

"Then I guess it's good that we're in mine," He answered, kissing down my chest before swallowing me without stopping.

 

For the next hour, it was a blur of motion. Him pushing me on the couch, following me down. Never letting my cock leave the heaven of his mouth, then pushing my legs apart and rimming me until I saw stars. There was that one moment before I felt him sliding into me that I almost told him to stop, but didn't. I'd never let anyone top me, but didn't stop him. It made me wonder why I thought being the top was important. He showed me why some men never wanted to do more than bottom, as I saw stars before he came. Only, like me, he could keep going, but proved he was versatile when he slid a condom on my still hard cock and then practically made me cum again, watching him finger himself open. He wasn't shy about enjoying it and the noises he made had me praying that I didn't, for the first time in my life, embarrass myself when he slid his ass down my cock. He was tight and I was satisfied to see that taking all of me wasn't easy for him.

 

Justin rode me, searching for his next orgasm. It was like he knew that he didn't have to worry about me, which he didn't, since what he was doing was working for me too. He came all over my chest as I finished inside him. Then, as if nothing had happened, he got up and got dressed while I watched him. After he was done, he walked over to where I was, still lying there naked and hard, smiled, kissed me one more time, and walked out, closing the door.

 

I spent the next couple of days waiting for him to come back, or call. It was normal for me to have men begging for a repeat. Only, there was nothing, which had me trying to quiz my assistant about him. Cynthia and Justin had developed a strange friendship. One that I was thankful for because she was always happy to remind me of my mistake by losing my temper with Justin. The changes he told me to do were the ones I decided he was wrong about. I'd relied on the fact that most clients kissed my ass because I delivered. Only this time, the client wasn't happy with the direction I went. Justin knew and tried to tell me they wouldn't like the implication of sex, being as conservative as they were. He even agreed that the campaign they would agree to wouldn't make them nearly what my idea did, but in the end they were worried about backlash from the public in selling their product with the sexual connotation. I didn't get what they expected when the product was pretty much - sex. I mean a knock off of Viagra, come on. Which made sense, but as far as I was concerned they knew who they were coming to when they contacted me. Only, instead of telling them it was this campaign or they could go somewhere else, I warned them the idea they wanted wasn't going to get them the profits they wanted. We ended up redoing everything to please them. And like I told them, their product got lost in among all the others by going safe.

 

A week later, just as Justin yelled at me right before he was fired, the client came back, telling me they wanted both campaigns; one to run during the day and one for late at night when the people who disapproved during the day were willing to admit they wanted the promise they saw in the dark of night. For the first time in my career I had to admit someone else understood what the client would do better than I did. The truth was also that I couldn't get what we did together out of my mind. It wasn't like sex wasn't always good before, but somehow it was better with him. I've never been one to deny myself, so I waited until Cynthia left her phone on her desk and got Justin's new number from her. The shit changed it, just to make it harder on me. How did I know this? I tried the number we had on file, not that anyone will ever know that one.

 

Justin answered, sounding like he just woke up, and promptly told me thanks for letting him know he was right, before hanging up on me. I called again and told him we should meet up, since I owed him one for keeping me from telling the client they were wrong. His answer was to tell me to come to his apartment. We ended up spending the rest of the day trying to fuck ourselves into a coma. I left like I always do, and once again didn't hear a word from him. When I went back to his place, he was gone. I finally asked Cynthia where he was, ‘apparently his sister thought Italy would be fun', was her answer.

 

"And that means what as to where Justin is?" I asked her.

 

"It means that Justin took off to hang out with her for a couple of weeks. Jesus Brian, did you even bother to ask about him the whole time he worked with us?" She asked.

 

"That's why I have you and Ted," I told her.

 

"Justin didn't need to work here or anywhere else. He just wanted something to do while he was here checking on a friend," She told me.

 

"Who?" I asked, almost sounding jealous that he had friends.

 

"Wow, you really don't pay attention do you? Ben Bruckner. You know, Whine boy Novotny's 'too good for him' husband," She told me.

 

"He's been bitching about some friend taking Ben's time, but he bitches a lot so I tend to tune it out," I told her.

 

"Well Justin is the friend, but he decided to go when Ben and Michael started fighting about Ben spending too much time with him," She told me.

 

"I've never seen Justin out with Ben," I told her.

 

"They usually go somewhere else, since Michael practically foams at the mouth when Ben brings up Justin," Ted told me.

 

"You knew too?" I asked.

 

"Yeah, but you never really asked," He answered.

 

"Why do you care anyway? It's not like you didn't fire him," Cynthia rubbed in.

 

"I don't," I told them, walking off.

 

Ted called my office a couple of hours later and told me everyone wanted to meet at Woody's and I asked if Ben was coming, which Ted didn't question, just let me know he was. I agreed to go, figuring I could question Ben. When I arrived, as usual having every eye in the room following me, I ignored them all, zeroing in on Ben, who had Michael practically trying to swallow him on his lap. It actually made me happy to see that, because Michael was no longer trying to use me to piss off Ben. I can honestly say I'm probably happier than Ben is about Michael no longer looking to me to run his life. It also made it easier on Ben and I to be in the same room, since Michael now treats me like a brother and not the next love of his life.

 

"I didn't know you and Justin were friends," I said, as soon as I sat down.

 

"Who?" Emmett asked, eyeing a bear at the bar.

 

"Good God, he finally left, can we not talk about him," Michael whined.

 

"Michael, I've told you a hundred times we're just friends and nothing more. If you would have given him a chance you probably would have liked him," Ben told him.

 

"I don't care what you say, he wanted you and I didn't like it," Michael scowled.

 

"WHO?" Emmett yelled, paying attention now that there was gossip.

 

"Justin Taylor, Mr Perfect. Who Ben couldn't stop talking about the minute he came to town," Michael answered sarcastically.

 

"Oh that guy. Really Michael, they were just hanging out. I kept telling you that," Emmett reminded him. "Why are you asking about him?" Emmett asked, sniffing around like there was something he didn't know.

 

"He worked for me, and I found out that apparently he knew Ben," I told them, which made sense now, if I'd been listening instead of ignoring Michael's complaints that Ben was always running around with someone else.

 

"Why would he be working for you? From what Ben told me, the kid is like, loaded. Apparently he only came here because he wanted to monopolize Ben's time," Michael told me.

 

"He's also a genius and a sought after artist. Brian was lucky he wanted something to do while he was here," Ben told him.

 

"Which he was doing, until Brian fired him for standing up to him," Ted told everyone.

 

"Thank you for helping him move on, otherwise I'd end up having to sit around while MY HUSBAND was entertaining him," Michael commented.

 


"No more than I did when you would take off after Brian," Ben reminded him.

 

"That's different. If I didn't watch out for Brian then he'd end up in trouble like always," Michael told everyone at the bar.

 

"Do you know where he went?" I asked Ben, because all Cynthia would say was Italy which didn't help me.

 

"His sister wanted him to hang out with her while she did the shows in Milan," Ben told me.

 

"What does she do?" Emmett asked.

 

"She models. But also assists when the designers ask. She wants to quit modeling and work for Armani full time. It's why she wanted Justin to come, to support her when she fires her father. Craig is what you would call a Stage Dad and likes the money he makes off of his daughter. Molly can't stand up to him, but Justin can," Ben told us.

 

"She needs to stop depending on her brother and face her father," I answered.

 

"Justin won't let her, because he knows what's it like when his father doesn't like what he hears. He doesn't want Molly to deal with the whole family treating her like they treated him. So he's making sure they blame him for what Molly wants," Ben told me.

 

"So, she still gets to have a family and Justin doesn't?" I asked, not liking the sister for making Justin the fall guy for her wants.

 

"He won't ever be a part of the family anyway, so he really doesn't lose as much as she will. Craig controls everything, including the money that Molly makes. Only, she's now eighteen and needs Justin to help her get control of her life. She isn't asking anything of him that he wouldn't do anyway, so don't get angry about it," Ben told me.

 

"Are you interested in him?" Michael asked, actually sounding happy.

 

"I owe him an apology for acting like an asshole, that's all," I told him, which bizarrely enough Michael sees through.

 

"Then go after him. That way he'll leave Ben alone," Michael told me.

 

"Um, we are talking about Brian, you know he doesn't go after anyone," Emmett commented, and I ignored.

 

My phone alerted me to a text. "Want to watch the new spring line with me?"

 

"Yes," was my reply. The next alert was to inform me that he sent me a ticket to Italy for tomorrow.

 

I got up to leave and Ben dumped Michael into a chair, following me.

 

"Brian, look, normally I wouldn't say anything, but Justin isn't really good with relationships. In fact, anytime he's been in one he's usually finding a reason he needs to be somewhere else," He said.

 

"Are you actually warning me?" I asked.

 

"Yes. Because you don't know him and I don't think he can give you what you want," Ben told me.

 

"What do you think I want?" I asked.

 

"Something you never did before. Just be careful, I don't want you to get hurt," He told me.

 

"Why do you think I want anything more than I ever have before?" I asked.

 

"You asked about him and listened, something you rarely do. Don't get me wrong, I want Justin to find someone, but he needs someone who wants just him," Ben told me.

 

"Right now I can't tell you it will be me, just that I want to see why I still want him," I answered.

 

"Then think of him like you, and don't do the things that make you walk away," He commented, going back to Michael.

 

I left the next morning and spent the week with Justin. Molly came around, but I still didn't like that it felt like she was using him so she could have it all. When the week was over Justin told me he was off to Greece to see some friends and didn't invite me, just assumed it was understood I would go. It wasn't pleasant to be treated like a trick, but I didn't push it. Instead I came home to Michael hoping that I made it so Justin would want to stay far away from Pittsburgh and Ben.

 

After that, Justin would randomly send me tickets to where he was, and like a moron, I went, only to be left as he flitted off to somewhere else. It wasn't until this latest trip that I knew something was different with him. He asked me to come instead of just sending a ticket. Only, the minute I arrived, he distracted me with sex and then made it so we didn't spend any time alone. So I couldn't ask why he wanted to see me. It was my last day, he left the bed and sat on the beach alone, putting out the signal that he didn't want me near him. It's what he did every time it was time for me to leave. Only this time I was tired of the dance and wanted more. I knew we were either over or he'd agree to stop this pulling and pushing he did. I called Cynthia, telling her I wasn't sure when I was coming back because if Justin pushed again I didn't know what I would do.

 

He got up and walked towards me, smiling the way he does when he really isn't happy. "Are you ready?" He asked.

 

"No. Not until you tell me why you wanted me to come here," I told him.

 

"Shit. I don't know how to tell you," He said, falling into a chair.

 

"You want to break up?" I asked.

 

"Is that even possible? It's not like we defined what we've been doing," He commented, avoiding whatever it is he wanted to tell me.

 

"I call it a relationship, since we've been doing this for over a year. It's time we decided exactly where this is going, because I'm no longer going to show up unless you commit to this," I told him.

 

"It's what I wanted to talk to you about," He told me, looking down at the beach.

 

"If you want to end it, just fucking say it!" I shouted at him, losing control.

 

"I don't. I'm just not sure how your going to feel about what I need to tell you," He told me, looking down at the ground.

 

"Then tell me and stop acting like I'm going to get pissed at you," I answered.

 

"Fine. I'm pregnant!" He yelled.

 

Justin looked like he wanted to run the minute the words came out. All I could think was, ‘finally something I could use to hold on to him'.

 

"Are you okay about this?" I asked, worried that maybe he didn't want the baby.

 

"Everything's good as far as I'm concerned, but how do you feel about it?" He asked.

 

"You were worried I wouldn't want the baby?" I asked, confused.

 

"Ben told me you really don't have a lot to do with your son, so I guess I didn't think you'd want one with me," He answered.

 

"Did Ben also tell you that when my son's mothers want something, it's the only time I get to see him?" I asked.

 

"No. He just said you haven't really spent time with your son. You don't even have pictures of him or talk about him," Justin told me.

 

"It made it easier for me. I want to be with him, but I also don't have any rights to him. His name is Gus and everytime I do get to see him, it gets harder to walk away. Only I have to, because I don't want him in the middle of a war that's about me and Mel, his mother's wife," I told him.

 

"Why would they care if he had you in his life?" Justin asked.

 

"Because my life wasn't exactly home and garden. When he was born I was barely there, and when I was, Mel and I couldn't get along. Lindsay tried, but in the end, she reminded me I promised to give Gus up to them. When they had problems, I didn't help by trying to be with Gus, which meant supporting Lindsay against Mel. Mel moved them away after she had Michael's daughter, still allowing Michael and Ben to see Jenny but limiting my time with Gus. In the last year Gus stopped taking my calls," I told him.

 

"This baby won't replace Gus," He told me.

 

"I don't want that, but I do want the baby. I want you too, but not if we have to continue like this," I told him.

 

"You want me to move back to Pittsburgh?" He asked.

 

"I want us to be together. Is there some reason you don't want to live in Pittsburgh?" I asked, realizing we never talked about his life beyond what I knew.

 

"Pittsburgh isn't the problem," He told me.

 

"Then what is?" I asked.

 

"My family. They pretty much don't want me to stay around and embarrass them," He answered.

 

"It's a big city, and if they have a problem, than we'll deal with them together," I told him.

 

"I might have already bought a house," He admitted.

 

"You were planning on coming back. Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked.

 

"If you didn't want us then I was going to sell it and not tell you," He answered.

 

"You belong with me," I told him.

 

End Notes:

I know I still have other stories to finish and now that work is letting up on me, I'll be able to do that as well as the ones I'm on. Hopefully you'll forgive me for posting yet another one. LOL

Chapter 2 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

There were nights when I was alone that I tried to figure out why I kept contacting Brian. At first, I convinced myself it was because he didn’t want anything permanent, and that worked for me because I wasn’t ready to give up my freedom and live in one place. It wasn’t my freedom so much, it was not wanting to stay around and watch my mother give in to my dad.

 

My mother’s parents hadn’t ever understood why she married Craig Taylor. They tried to support her decisions, but when my dad kicked my ass out for not at least being of use to the Taylor family, that was the end of the line for my grandparents. They weren’t like my dad’s parents, who pretty much followed their son’s dictates. His parents even tried to tell me if I would at least consider the men my father would approve of me seeing, then I could be part of the family again. It’s funny, because they think because if the guy is from the ‘right family’ then my gayness isn’t a bad thing. Only, the guys were all like my dad, only gayer. It really bothered me when Dad introduced me to a man older than himself, because the guy was willing to invest in the family business for a trophy boy, which meant Craig saw me as a commodity, not as his son. I worried for a while that it was the reason I kept contacting Brian; because my father would hate him. Only I knew it wasn’t the truth, but it was the excuse I was making to keep from admitting that I had fallen in love with him.

 

When I got kicked out, Nana put her foot down and told my father the money he thought my mom would inherit would be going to her grandchildren, with the stipulation that none of it would ever reach his hands. My mother actually looked relieved when they told her and my dad. My granddad released my inheritance to me when I turned eighteen and told me to do something that would piss off my father, so I invested it and turned it into my freedom.

 

Leaving home wasn’t really that hard, it wasn’t like I had anyone other than Molly and Daphne. So other than them, I didn’t have a reason to stick around. I probably would have stayed gone if Molly hadn’t called when Dad wouldn’t listen to her. I figured out that in order to control him, I needed leverage, so I got it, and use it anytime he tries to fuck with my mom or sister. Dad married my mom without a prenup to protect him, and guess what, her parents were smarter and made sure he forfeits half of everything he owns if she ever divorces him. While I’m sure if I was her, I’d be relieved that he was fucking several other women, but my mother wasn’t. She’s really the reason I’ve never really wanted to be in a relationship, because all I could see was how shitty theirs was. 

 

Only, I had to pick a guy that for the first time, I wanted to see again and again. I don’t get it, because it’s not like either of us are doing the whole monogamy thing, at least I don’t think he is. Normally I wouldn’t be either, and we both agreed to it, so no harm in scratching an itch. But I hadn’t been with anyone but him in the last few months, mostly because no one interested me. So when I started throwing up daily, I prayed for the flu, or food poisoning, anything but a baby. We’d been safe, but there was that one night we got drunk and were messing around. I climbed on, forgetting everything I knew was smart. When Brian realized it, he grabbed a condom, but I guess it was too late, not that it was easy to tell since he can stay hard for hours. 

 

“Justin, are we going to talk about this?” Brian asked when he came back out from calling Cynthia.

 

“I have a few things to finish here then I can be in Pittsburgh. Other than that, what’s there to talk about?” I asked him.

 

“You said you bought a house, but am I moving in or are we still living separately?” He asked.

 

“I guess I thought you’d come on the weekends,” I answer him.

 

“Is it that far from Pittsburgh?” He asked.

 

“About half an hour away, but it’s not like I expect you to give up your life because we’re having a baby. If you want to stay with me, that’s fine too," I told him.

 

“What about you? You’ve never stayed in one place for more than a couple of weeks, I’m going to be honest with you, I don’t want you running off the way you do. Our baby needs stability,” He commented.

 

“I can’t promise you that I won’t have to leave sometimes. I have commitments that I made before I found out,” I answered.

 

“Like what? I’m only asking because the only thing I know is that you tend to go from party to party,” He asked, not judging.

 

“Actually, I’m usually going to a job, not partying. I just let you believe that’s what I’m doing, it’s sort of what everyone thinks. When I send you tickets it’s because I’ve finished a job and want to relax,” I told him.

 

“What job takes you all over the place?” He asked.

 

“Promise you won’t overreact? Because you were one of them,” I asked him.

 

“I’m pretty sure I’m going to overreact if you don’t just tell me,” He growls.

 

“My granddad likes to invest in companies, and I’m the one who goes in to see if they’re worth his time. He’s been interested in Kinnetik, because you tripled the profits in the second year, most companies don’t do that in the first five to ten years. He wanted to find out your business model, which apparently, is you. He planned to approach you after I left, but decided against it when I expressed a personal interest in you. He didn’t want you to think I was using you,” I answered.

 

“I don’t have any plans to take on a partner,” He commented.

 

“Yeah, that was the other reason I told him no on Kinnetik,” I told him.

 

“So you weren’t there to see Benny boy?” He asked.

 

“He was the excuse I used so it seemed like I had a reason for being there,” I answered.

 

“Why would you need one? It’s not like anyone knew why you were there,” He asked.

 

“If my dad’s family finds out I’m in Pittsburgh for Granddad then they try to interfere. They’re all still pissed that he and Nana won’t do business with them. If they thought Granddad was interested in Kinnetik, then they would try to get you to let them invest,” I answered.

 

“Who is he?” He asked.

 

“Marshall Miller,” I told him, and smiled when he recognized the name.

 

“It would have been hard for me to say no to him,” He answered.

 

“But you would,” I told him.

 

“Only because I’m not done doing what I want with the company. When I am, I plan to branch out, possibly go global, then I’d be willing to take on investors,” He answered.

 

“Why? I mean it’s not like you couldn’t handle it,” I responded.

 

“I want to prove I can do it, but I don’t want it to be the only thing I do. Now, with the baby, I also want time to be a father, which to me means being there to see the things that I missed with Gus,” He told me.

 

“I guess Ben had it wrong,” I told him, trying to apologize for what I thought about him.

 

“He wouldn’t really know. Mel and Lindsay treat him and Michael differently. He might assume it’s just me continuing the way it was when they lived in Pittsburgh. All anyone ever saw was Gus with them, and me making guest appearances,” He shrugged.

 

“Why didn’t they know that the moms made it hard for you to see Gus?” I asked.

 

“Gus didn’t need to see the shit I lived with as a kid. I never wanted him to watch people fight in front of him. Mel might be shitty about me, but she treats Gus like her own,” He told me.

 

“You can tell me it’s none of my business, but what was your family like?” I asked.

 

“Let’s just say, neglect was a good thing. I left the minute I could, because their brand of love was going to kill me one day,” He said, not looking at me.

 

I turned his face to me, because I could tell it bothered him to say that. “You got out and became you,” 

 

“It doesn’t worry you that I could become an abusive asshole like my old man?” He asked.

 

“No. Because your willing to put up with people believing you aren’t a good father to protect your son from the life you lived,” I told him, wanting to meet the moms really badly right now.

 

“They never said that I would abuse Gus, just that I wouldn’t be there when he needed me. It’s more that they think I’d dump him off on someone else to go out and get laid,” He told me.

 

“Are you defending people who pretty much shit on you? They don’t have to say anything, because using you for money says it all to me,” I told him.

 

“Even if they didn’t ask, I’d never let Gus want for things. If they ever did anything to hurt him, I’d do whatever it takes to get him away from them. Look, we need to talk about what WE are going to do, hopefully the rest will work itself out,” He told me.

 

“Okay. I need to take care of my commitments here, which will take a week. While I’m doing that, why don’t you check out the house, maybe hire a decorator to get started on furniture and anything you need if you plan to live there. I also need to find a doctor, so maybe look into someone you think we can trust,” I told him.

 

“You want me to leave?” He asked.

 

“Not really. But the rest of my week is going to be in one meeting after another, then meeting with my granddad to make the final decisions, which means we won’t see much of each other. Instead of staying, you can get everything ready for me to come home,” I told him with a smile.

 

Brian reluctantly agreed, and rescheduled a flight out for later that night. He came out when he was done and dragged me back to the bedroom. Which was exactly where I wanted to be, knowing it would be a week before I saw him again. 

 

Our clothes disappeared and he ran his hands over my stomach, staring at it. I really hadn’t gained any weight, so it wasn’t like there was any noticeable difference. 

 

“How far along?” He asked, kissing my neck.

 

“Two months. It was the night we came home and were a little drunk,” I told him, turning to cover his lips with mine.

 

He pulled back and looked into my eyes, “I’m not sorry that we screwed up,” He told me, licking my ear and making sure I can feel that he’s turned on.

 

He followed me to the bed, then followed me down, our mouths still joined. I lost track of time as Brian’s hands were touching every inch of my body, while I let my hands roam all over his wide shoulders and over the muscles in his arms and back. I felt down to his ass, loving the moans that told me he liked it when I let my fingers play with his entrance. Neither of us could seem to stop moving, and when he took both our cocks in is big hands, stroking them together, I wanted more. 

 

“Stop playing,” I ordered him.

 

He turned me over, kissing down my back, and I was ready to scream when I felt his tongue slip between my cheeks. He was a master at rimming and even though I wanted to feel his hard cock, this was just as good. Brian circled the rim before delving deeper, backing away, then nipping and sucking all the right places. It all felt like heaven, but I needed him in me. Which he seemed to know and prepared himself for me.

 

“I know it seems ridiculous since your pregnant, but…”

 

“It’s not, it means you care enough to be careful,” I told him, and gasped as his cock slid inside me. I was writhing on his cock, not caring how shameless I sounded, because he was nine and a half inches of pleasure every time he was in me. I started moving with him, because I needed to cum badly. He sped up when I bitched at him to give me what I wanted. He changed the angle to hit my prostate with short intense thrusts that made me whine for him when he batted my hand away from stroking myself. Instead he did it for me, timing it with each hit at my prostate. I saw stars as I came on his hand.

 

He thrust even faster, holding my hips to keep me from falling on my face because I was exhausted. It was minutes later when I heard him grunting as he came. 

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian didn’t take it well when I told him I wouldn’t be there until a couple days later than I originally said. It bothered me that there were problems with his son, and I wanted us to start out happy. Maybe it was because I wanted him to have all the things he wanted in life, which is a problem I have with people I love, wanting to solve everything.

 

I got the information out of Ben about where to find Gus. He wanted to know why I was asking, but I was still a little pissed that they sort of blamed Brian for the problems that caused him to not be able to see his son. My only problem was how to approach them, which led me to call Cynthia for help. 

 

She was able to tell me that they were attending an art opening, and told me I owed her because she had to be nice to Michael to find out. Apparently he expects reports when they plan to leave his daughter with strangers. I really had to wonder about Ben’s taste in men, because although Michael wasn’t an ass when we met, I could tell I bothered him. I’d spent the last few years listening to Ben complain about Michael putting his friends before everything, and apparently Michael felt the same way when Ben spent time with people other than his friends. In my head it seemed strange that that was all I could come up that they had in common. 

 

I walked in and saw the artist, who was someone I knew, so I headed over to Keaton. He was acting bored like he always does when people praise his work, so I did what I always did to get him to stop acting like an ass.

 

“I can’t believe people think this is art.” I said, standing behind him.

 

“Who the hell… Justin, what are you doing here?” Keaton asked.

 

“I was hoping to meet one of your fans, want to help me?” I asked.

 

“You’re chasing someone?” He asked, as if that would never happen.

 

“No, I just want to help a friend,” I told him.

 

“Who are we looking for?” He asked.

 

“Two women who were supposed to be here,” I told him.

 

“Are you taking a walk on the wild side?” He joked.

 

“I just wanted to meet them, so act all moody and help,” I told him.

 

“You should have just shown here, the art world would be enraptured that you graced us with your presence,” He joked.

 

“I really just don’t have the patience it takes to act bored like you,” I commented.

 

“We could walk around, but I might need a clue about who we’re looking for,” He told me. 

 

I showed him the picture Cynthia sent to me and it turned out he didn’t have a problem finding them, since apparently Lindsay had been practically stalking him all night. When we walked up, I was surprised Lindsay knew who I was.

 

“Keaton you’re full of surprises. How did you get Justin to come?” Lindsay asked, like we were old friends.

 

“He probably showed up because he wanted to see what a working artist does,” Keaton joked.

 

“I was shocked to hear anyone wanted to see your work,” I threw back at him.

 

“Are they joking?” Mel asked, looking confused.

 

“It keeps him humble, which is hard to do,” Keaton laughed.

 

A flash went off, which wasn’t new at these things, but since I sort of lied about why I wasn't in Pittsburgh yet, I hoped it was for some local paper. 

 

“I should get going. I need to get a room for tonight and something to eat anyway. I just wanted to congratulate you on your show. Do any of you know of a good place around here?” I asked, hoping Lindsay would offer to help me out.

 

She fell for it and offered to give me a ride, since she and Mel were leaving. Keaton smirked, knowing what I was doing. We walked to a mom mobile, and it got me thinking that my Porsche wasn't going to cut it since it wasn't kid friendly.

 

“How long are you staying?” Lindsay asked, after we got on the road.

 

“A couple of days, I figured I see the sights while I was here,” I told her. 

 

“If you don’t mind company, I could take you around,” Lindsay offered. 

 

“It would give her and the kids something to do. Unless you'd rather not help babysit,” Mel joked.

 

“I love seeing things through kids eyes, they make you look at things in a way you don't normally,” I answered. 

 

“Hopefully it will cheer Gus up,” Mel mumbled.

 

“He's just upset. You know why. But it might take his mind off it,” Lindsay reminded her.

 

“If you want we could have dinner on me, since you’re helping me out,” I told them when they pulled up to a hotel.

 

“I’d love to hear about what you've been doing. I know everyone wonders why you don't show more often,” Lindsay answered, which obviously meant yes.

 

“Lindsay, we told the sitter we'd be back early. If you want drop me off you can come back and talk art with him,” Mel told her, smiling.

 

“I could get a cab, that way you have the car,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Call if you're going to be late,” Mel told her, kissing her. “Sorry if she interrogates you,” Mel commented, before driving off and leaving me with Lindsay.

 

“Not a big art fan?” I asked, since Mel was practically gleeful to go home.

 

“She likes it, but doesn't get why it’s all I talk about. But then I really don’t get what's so exciting about law either,” Lindsay answered, laughing.

 

When I pictured them, I sort of had the whole evil bitches going in my head, but they were actually nice. Of course, I was biased because of Brian’s experience with them. We were seated and I really wanted to know about Gus.

 

“How many kids do you have?” I asked. 

 

“Two, a boy and a girl. You heard about Gus, but there's also Jenny,” She told me. 

 

“If it's not too intrusive, what's upset Gus?” I asked. 

 

“Mel and I made decisions that at the time we thought were right, but didn’t see that they would hurt him,” She told me. 

 

“What's stopping you from making it right? Not that you have to tell me, it's just, well, I'm having a baby and need all the help I can get to do it right,” I joked.

 

“I think it's more that we're worried he’ll be mad at us for limiting his time with his father. In the beginning, it seemed like the right thing to do,” She told me. 

 

“Why?” I asked.

 

“Gus’s father and Mel can't get along. They never really could, but when we decided to have a baby, I wanted one with my best friend. Mel wasn’t thrilled, but neither of us really saw him making room in his life for a baby, so she agreed. When Gus was born, he was still more interested in partying than being a father, and Mel and I used that to get him to give up Gus. Only now, he seems more settled and has started wanting to be around, which I don't have a problem with, but Mel doesn’t believe he's changed enough to be there when Gus needs him,” She told me. 

 

“And Gus is angry at you guys?” I asked. 

 

“No, not at us. He's angry at his father because he thinks it's Brian’s fault; when it's really ours for letting Brian be the bad guy,” She told me. 

 

“How is it his fault in Gus’s eyes?” I asked. 

 

“When Gus asks him to visit he knows he has to get our permission. So he'll make up an excuse for why he can’t come, until he talks to us. Gus started to think Brian didn’t want to see him, so he stopped asking, then he refused to talk to Brian. I feel awful because Mel and I realized we treat our children differently, and Gus sees that Jenny’s fathers come and spend time with her, but his doesn’t. We backed ourselves into a corner, and as selfish as it sounds we haven't told him the truth because we know he’s going to be angry at us for what we did. Mel is worried it will affect her more because it’s more about her unwillingness to meet Brian half way. What makes it worse is Brian is willing to help with anything for Gus, no questions asked. I’m so sorry, here I am telling you everything about our problems when I wanted to hear about you,” She said, embarrassed.

 

“There’s not a lot to tell. I show if I think what I’m doing is worth the showing. Lately I’ve been busy with other things and my art had to take a backseat to it. I’ll eventually get back to it, but right now I want to concentrate on the baby and figuring out how to be a good partner to the father,” I told her.

 

“Did you and your partner plan to have the baby?” She asked, which I was fine with me since I asked personal questions first.

 

“Until a week ago, we were just friends with benefits, because it’s what I thought I wanted. Now we both agreed to try to see if there can be more. He really surprised me by being happy about it. He didn’t even question if it was his, which he could have since we were pretty much in an open relationship, or let’s just say open, since I wasn’t really calling it a relationship,” I told her.

 

 “It didn’t bother either of you that there were other people?” She asked.

 

“No. Why would it? It wasn’t like either of us loved the other people, and most of the time we weren’t even in the same country. To me, as long as it’s understood, there’s nothing wrong with having fun,” I tell her.

 

“Too bad you don’t know my best friend, you’d be perfect for him. I do have a question though, now that you’re trying, are you closing the relationship? You don’t have to answer if I’m being intrusive,” She added.

 

“We haven’t really talked about it. It’s just like I said, I don’t have a problem if he wants to keep it open. I know a lot of people couldn’t do it and I don’t see anything wrong with that either. It’s just that sex doesn’t equal love to me. Although lately I haven’t bothered, most guys just can’t compete with mine,” I told her, enjoying calling Brian 'mine' for some reason.

 

“If Mel and I could have looked at it that way, we probably wouldn’t have had so many problems,” She told me.

 

“It’s not for everyone,” I assured her.

 

“If he said he wanted to be monogamous would you want that?” She asked.

 

“I don’t really know. Right now, it would seem strange to be with someone else, only because I’m pregnant. Later on, who knows,” I tell her.

 

We’d managed to talk through dinner, and I actually didn’t hate her. I didn’t like that she couldn’t face her kid and tell him the truth about Brian, but I could tell she didn’t like it either. I hoped it was something she would to do, for both Brian and Gus. I went out with her to wait for her cab, and made plans with her for the next day. I barely made it to the bed before falling asleep. 

 

BRIAN

 

It was disappointing that Justin wouldn’t be here when he said he would, but I didn’t want to act like a possessive asshole, so I let it go and told him I was busy anyway. 

 

The house was a fricken mansion. Emmett kept giving me strange looks as we walked around it. I could see he was biting his tongue with the millions of questions as to why I was moving and how I managed not to tell anyone I bought a house. I really didn’t need him telling everyone, so I just said it was an investment and left it at that. Emmett went crazy calling in all kinds of favors to get everything I wanted for the house.

 

Finding the doctor wasn’t easy because I really didn’t know anything about baby doctors. When I asked Cynthia she laughed her ass off, thinking it was me. 

 

I waited until she took a drink, getting out of range. “Actually it’s my partner,” I told her and watched Ted get sprayed.

 

“What?” Ted asked, just as shocked.

 

“Seriously, I’m so going to spank him for falling for your shit,” Cynthia told me, cleaning up Ted and the desk.

 

“Who?” Ted asked.

 

“Who do you think? I swear you and Brian don’t pay attention to anything. Brian’s been following him around for a year. Justin Taylor,” She told him, when he still looked confused.

 

“Really? He was interested in you?” Ted asked, like it wasn’t something that happened all the time. “Wait, you’ve been, well... with other guys,” He told me.

 

“Justin and I agreed, although I really don’t like the idea now that he’s having my baby,” I told them.

 

“Are you going to tell anyone?” Ted asked.

 

“I’m not hiding it, but I thought we could wait until Justin got here and settled in before telling everyone. I’m sure it will make Mikey’s day,” I commented.

 

“Sure, now that it’s all about Ben, he’ll likely be relieved that Ben didn’t stand a chance with Justin,” Cynthia told me.

 

“How in the hell were they friends?” I asked.

 

“Justin met him while he was going to college. Ben was one of his advisors, later they became friends. That’s what Ben told Emmett, who told Blake,” Ted answered.

 

“Do me a favor, don’t tell Blake, so he won’t tell Emmett. Justin needs a chance to settle in before dealing with all of you gossiping,” I asked him.

 

“You don’t think Michael isn’t going to notice Justin at your loft?” Ted asked.

 

“Since Justin bought a house and that’s where we’ll be living, it might be hard for him to figure it out. By the way Emmett thinks I bought it, so keep it that way,” I told him.

 

“You think Michael is going to have a problem with Justin?” Ted asked.

 

“Not now that Michael is happy being with Ben. I just don’t want Justin to get overloaded by everyone the minute he comes here,” I told them.

 

“He really didn’t have a problem with it when he was here. I know he and Ben did things without us, but when we did run into them, Justin was friendly to everyone, even Michael. It was more that Michael likes to turn everything into a drama, than Michael didn’t like him,”  Ted said, opening one of the newspaper on my desk, bored with the subject of Mikey the Drama Queen.

 

“You know what Deb would be like if she knew I was actually in a relationship. She’d expect to meet Justin and then she’d be everywhere when she found out we’re having a baby together,” I told him.

 

“Are you going to tell Gus?” Cynthia asked, looking worried for some reason.

 

“I planned to call the girls and tell them, not ask them, to let me see Gus. I don’t want him finding out about Justin and the baby because Mikey tells them,” I told her.

 

“Or Justin telling them,” Ted said, looking at me.

 

“Justin doesn’t know them,” I answered.

 

Cynthia gets up and looks at the paper Ted held, looking between me and it. 

 

 

“Shit,” Cynthia said when Ted looked at her. “Brian, he only wanted to help,” She told me, grabbing the paper and trying to get away.

 

I got it from her and stared at Justin smiling at another man with Lindsay and Mel standing next to them. The article was about how elusive Justin had been, but turned up to support a fellow artist. 

 

“I’m going to spank him,” I said, but part of me wanted to kiss him, because I know the twat likely just wanted to help me. “Looks like I’m going to see Gus sooner than I thought,” I told Cynthia, who understood and started booking a ticket.

 

“Where are you?” I texted.

 

“Lunch?” Justin answered.

 

“I’ll be there in time for dinner.” I texted back.

 

“Cool,” He answered, once again not giving a shit that I might be pissed.

 

Chapter 4 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I'm writting like a person possesed so you get another chapter possibly another one of choices too. 

JUSTIN

 

I don't know why I expected Gus to look different. I guess it was me imagining in my head what our baby would look like. Apparently Brian's genes took over when it came to Gus. He even had Brian's scowl down, which was scary since he was like, eight. I had to give it to Lindsay, she was trying to make him happy, even Jenny tried. He just got sullen and looked out the window, ignoring everything. It really should have shown Mel and Lindsay that it was time to tell him the truth. I went down the 'pissed at the world' road, and it sucked all the fun out of everything.

 

Lindsay seemed to give up and took Jenny to get ice cream, leaving me with Scowly. Since Molly was really my only kid experience, I was sort of lost at what to do with him.

 

"Are we going to the art museum again?" He asked, sounding resigned to it.

 

"I really don't go there when I don't have to," I answered.

 

"Mom said you were an artist," He said, like it meant all Art all the time in his mind.

 

"It's my job on occasion, but when I want to relax, sitting around at what I consider my job... not fun," I told him.

 

"She made it sound like that was what we were going to do," He told me.

 

"Then let's figure out how to stop her," I said, hoping to get him to smile.

 

"It's not like I care anyway," He told me, more scowling so it didn't work.

 

"I do. I wanted to have fun. You think we could convince her to get some real food?" I asked.

 

"Sure, if you like vegan. Between them and Ben, Jenny's favorite Daddy, that's all we eat when guests show up," He told me.

 

"What do you do when you go with your dad?" I asked, praying he doesn't get pissed at me.

 

"He would let me decide, then we'd keep it a secret, since anything he wanted to do pissed off my moms," He told me.

 

"Gus, we weren't mad, we just didn't like that he wouldn't tell us what you were doing," Lindsay told him, sitting next to him.

 

"Really? Because even though you didn't shout, it wasn't like I didn't hear both of you acting like he couldn't do anything right," Gus told her, which pretty much told me the kid was far from ignorant to what was likely going on.

 

"Honey, he misses you too. Why won't you at least talk to him?" Lindsay tried to put her arm around him, but he shrugged her off.

 

"I got tired of making him feel bad, because he couldn't come when I wanted him to. I have to watch Jenny get her dads anytime she wants, but I hate feeling like my dad can't make time to see me," He told her.

 

I might not really know much about being a parent, but I know it would kill me to hear my kid say that. Lindsay covered her face with her hands while Jenny stood next to me, dripping. I really wasn't prepared for this, Molly was way easier.

 

"I'm really craving a giant greasy burger and fries. What you say we blow the diet and have one?" I asked them all.

 

Apparently meat was the answer and I got it, since the idea of staring at tofu every meal would send me screaming from the room. Gus shrugged, but willingly followed me into the nearest burger place. At first Lindsay stared like she'd never seen meat in her life, but she cheated with us. I have a feeling old Lindsay wasn't really into the abstaining from the sin of meat, since she ordered the half pounder with bacon. Gus smiled and ordered the same thing. Jenny tried to stick to her convictions, but relented with the might be chicken, chicken nuggets.

 

Gus was actually smiling when he thought no one was looking. He took Jenny to the playground, while Lindsay and I sat and watched. I finished her burger and almost went to order more, before I realized how much I already ate. When my phone alerted me to a message, I dodged Brian by saying I was at lunch, and then knew I was busted when he told me he was coming to see me, without asking where I was. So I did what I'd been doing anytime he scared the shit out people at work, showed him it didn't work with me.

 

"Your smiling pretty big. Good news?" She asked.

 

"Might be. See I didn't really tell my guy what I was doing. Just told him I'd be later than I originally told him. I guess he found out where I was and plans to come here," I tell her.

 

"You're not worried he'll be angry?" She asked.

 

"Even if he is, I can usually get him happy pretty fast," I told her.

 

"You never said where you were planning to live," She commented.

 

"I'm moving back to where I used to live, Pittsburgh," I told her.

 

"We have that in common, Mel and I used to live there. I never thought I'd say it, but I miss everything. Canada has been nice, but it's just not the same as being with people we've known all our lives," She told me.

 

"After I left home, I didn't want to stay anywhere too long. I traveled a lot and enjoyed it, but my life was in a suitcase. My whole life fit in it," I told her.

 

"What do you do with your paintings?" She asked.

 

"My grandparents keep them. They built a studio on their property for me. When I need to paint I stay there. They live in Philly, so at least when I get a studio set up, I won't have to transfer everything too far," I told her.

 

"It's strange that we lived in the same place at one time," She commented.

 

I felt kind of shitty not telling her the truth. I mean, she was going to figure it out when Brian got here, because he probably wanted to talk to Gus about us and the baby.

 

"I need to tell you something." I said.

 

"What?" She asked.

 

"I really came here to see you," I told her.

 

"Why?" She asked, but seemed happy to hear.

 

"I wanted to see if you would let Brian see Gus," I answered.

 

"How do you know him?" She asked, curious.

 

"He's the guy I've been telling you about," I told her.

 

"The father?" She asked.

 

"Yes. And when I found out I was pregnant, I was worried he wouldn't want the baby. I'm friends with Ben, and from the way he made it sound, Brian wasn't really interested in kids, which pisses me off now that I know the truth. I didn't want to like you, but I do, and I think you and Mel need to give Gus a reason to smile," I told her.

 

"When is he coming?" She asked.

 

"He said, in time for dinner." I answered.

 

"I need to call Mel, we have a lot to explain to Gus. I'm not sure how Gus is going to react, but it's summer and it might help us, and Brian, if Gus could stay with him," She told me.

 

I was back to not liking her. It sounded like she planned to dump her problems in Brian lap. Only it would give Brian what he wanted, so I wasn't arguing about the way it sounded.

 

"Do you think Mel will agree?" I asked, since this problem stems from Mel.

 

"I honestly don't care after what Gus said today. We need to stop making Brian into the bad guy," She answered.

 

"How did you make my dad the bad guy?" Gus asked, standing behind us.

 

"Gus, what are you doing standing behind us?" Lindsay went to put her arm around him, but he was already angry.

 

"No. I don't want you to try to avoid telling me." He told her.

 

"Gus, give her a chance," I asked him.

 

"Like I care what you say," Gus answered me.

 

"Gus, you know better than to treat anyone like that," Lindsay admonished him.

 

"It's the way Mama treats my dad, so it should be okay, right?" He asked her defiantly.

 

"Lam..."

 

"That's not going to work, I want to know the truth," He said, not giving in to her attempts to soothe him. "You know. What did they do?" He asked me.

 

I looked at this very angry kid and almost worried that Brian's wrath was genetic. My problem was, even though I put myself in the middle of this, telling him really wasn't my place. Lindsay looked at me as if to throw the fireball into my lap. I got it, Gus wanted answers and apparently knew his mothers weren't going to do it unless someone else did it for them, which wasn't going to work with me. I rescue the people I care about, and right now Lindsay wasn't one of them. Although Gus was, for being as strong as he was, this young.

 

"I only know what I've heard, which means I don't know everything. I do know someone who will tell you the truth, since he's never once lied to me," I told him.

 

"Why would someone you know, know anything about me and my dad?" He asked.

 

"Because it is your dad. Only you don't want to talk to him, and unless you will, he can't explain what you want to know," I told him.

 

"You know him?" Gus asked, looking at me as if I deciding if I was up to his dad's standards, which was all kinds of fun. "Wait, is the baby Mom told Mama about, my dad's? If you think he'll be around, you're fooling yourself," He asked, looking even more upset.

 

"Gus, it wasn't his fault," Lindsay finally answered him.

 

"I think he knows that already," I commented.

 

"Why would he have another kid when he doesn't..." Gus looked away from us, but I saw the way his eyes were watering.

 

"We didn't plan it, but he is happy about it," I tell him, which didn't help. "He talked about how he wanted to be with you when I worried about him not wanting this baby. He had to respect what your moms wanted, and all he wanted was for you to be happy too," I told him.

 

"I am, when I can see him," He said as he glared at Lindsay.

 

"I know, and Mama and I thought we were doing the right thing, but we know what it must have been like for you. Seeing Jenny have her fathers in her life... it wasn't fair of us," Lindsay said, but didn't try to touch him. The kid had a bat signal that said ‘Keep Out'.

 

I was honestly lost on what we could say to help him, and did the only thing I could think of doing.

 

"How's the weather in Canada?" Brian said as he answered the phone.

 

"Frigid right now. Look, could you talk to Gus, he's showing me the Kinney is strong in him," I told him.

 

"What's going on?" He asked.

 

I got up and walked away from them, not because Gus didn't know what I was going to say, but because I worried about how Brian was going to react.

 

"He heard Lindsay telling me it was her and Mel's fault that you can't be around. She won't tell him why, and I have a feeling he knows, but wants her to say it. One thing I want to say before you yell... I hope ours turns out just like him," I told him.

 

"Give him the phone," He said, not giving me any indication what was going on in his head.

 

"Gus, your dad wants to talk to you," I told him, holding out the phone.

 

Lindsay went to get Jenny, since Gus wouldn't even look at her. It took a second before he took the phone, and I walked off while he talked to his dad. Lindsay was shaking, trying to make a call.

 

"I have to tell Mel," She told me.

 

I took Jenny, who, like her brother, seemed to get that something was wrong. Her lip started trembling, and it was weird, I could see Michael in her big watery eyes, and it worked on her. Not so much on a grown man, but on her, yes it did.

 

"I'll slide with you, if you don't cry," Man, I had a lot to learn about this kid stuff. She nodded, smiling, like a minute ago she wasn't going to go off like a siren.

 

The sixth time we went down, Gus was waiting for me at the bottom.

 

"I'm going with him," He told Lindsay.

 

"Mama wants to talk to you and explain," She told him.

 

"Dad already did, and I promised him not to be mad at you, but I don't want to talk to either of you right now," He told her, not like a bratty kid, but like an adult in a kid's body.

 

"Is that okay?" He asked me.

 

When I looked to Lindsay she nodded, even though she didn't know me. "Brian wouldn't let Gus go with someone he didn't trust," She said.

 

"He said he wanted me to get to know you, and to be nice to you," Gus told me.

 

"I'm sort of used to dealing with difficult Kinney men," I told him, smiling.

 

BRIAN

 

Cynthia managed to get Liberty Air to arrange a private flight for me to get there sooner. I didn't even care how she did it, my son needed me and wanted me there, and that was where I would be. Justin texted me that Gus refused to go home with Lindsay. Gus was angry at first that there was going to be another baby, but my son made me proud by telling me that he wouldn't mind another brother or sister.

 

It was hard to hear the hurt in his voice, but it was better than not hearing it at all. It also meant that I was no longer going to let Mel or Lindsay dictate my time with Gus. I got to the hotel, and turned on my phone, since I forgot when I got off the plane. Mel apparently called a couple times and I would deal with her, but seeing Gus and Justin came first.

 

In the elevator, my phone started ringing non stop. Mel likely hoped Mikey could keep me from ringing her neck. Which means she told him about Justin being here, one more thing for me to thank her for.

 

Justin was standing outside the door when I walked up. I stopped in front of him, thinking this is the reason I couldn't walk away, he stared me straight in the eyes, willing to take what I might do.

 

"Thank you," I told him, kissing him.

 

The door opened, and all we heard was a gagging noise before it shut again.

 

"He was explaining to me that he really doesn't like mushy stuff." Justin smiled.

 

"Is he okay?" I asked.

 

"He's trying, but he still doesn't want to talk to his mothers. I wasn't sure what to do, so we sat around watching TV and I let him order to his heart's content. What is with people thinking meat is a bad thing?" Justin told me, going in.

 

I walked in behind him, looking at Gus for the first time in a year. The pictures Lindsay sent me weren't enough. He'd grown again, and was still lanky like me, but his hair was lighter. I couldn't let what had been going on since he was born continue, because this proved to me that he needed me in his life, just as much as I needed him in mine.

 

I walked up behind Justin, before going and sitting next to Gus. "We need to figure out how to do this, because I won't be without either of my kids," I told him.


Chapter 5 by starlight

EMMETT

 

It was really hard, but I was turning over my gossiping ways in order to not have Brian staple my mouth shut. It’s just a house and not just a house... more like dream home. I couldn’t say anything and it was killing me, not even to my buddy in gossip, Blake, because I knew he’d tell Ted and then somehow Brian would know it started with me. The fact that I was sitting at the diner waiting for the gang was even worse because Deb was here, my other source of gossip and my usual way to find out more - by sharing what I knew. 

 

Brian added a baby room to the mix today. Jesus, he was killing me. Brian and a baby, that was big, and I have an idea who, but no way to prove it. I mean, it was a year ago when Brian mentioned Ben’s friend and I know Brian took off, but as far as I could see nothing had changed in Brian’s life. Well, one small thing, that he seemed to be hiding from us, but well, guys tend to talk when the King was no longer accepting anything but blow jobs. Which I kept to myself, and most of the guys did too, since they didn’t want anyone to know that they weren’t good enough to grace the sacred bed. 

 

I tried to get Ted to talk, by checking with Blake if he managed to sex out of Ted anything we didn’t know. Nothing. Other than Brian was interested in real estate lately. Real estate was believable, but fell flat when he texted to make sure a baby’s room was finished by the time he got back. No date for that, just get my fanny busy. 

 

Ted and Blake walked in first, nodding when Deb told them she put in their order. Which we all learned meant we’d get what she brings us. Ted sat across from me while Blake stopped to talk to someone he knew. Ben came in alone, but turned, looking annoyed that Michael was outside, practically shouting into his phone at someone.

 

“What happened with Gus?” He asked Ted.

 

“I don’t really know, and even if I did, they had to know it was going to happen,” Ted told him, proving he knew something.

 

“Mel called, upset, wanting Michael to get Brian to call her, so maybe some help,” Ben told him.

 

“I told Mel not to involve Michael. Right now, not even Michael is going to be able to help her with Brian,” Ted told him.

 

“Mel was telling Michael that Gus won’t talk to her. I know he’s been moody lately, but I thought it was because of Brian’s lack of visits,” Ben told us.

 

“It’s not like the girls make it easy for him, and I’ve always thought Brian should have just told them to get over themselves and to accept that Brian is important to Gus,” I told them.

 

“Brian was barely interested when they lived here, and from what I heard from the girls, he makes up excuses to not see Gus. Not that he would have time to see him anyway when he runs off not telling anyone where he’s going,” Deb said, delivering our dinners. 

 

I didn’t say anything, because as much as I love Deb, she never really paid attention to anything but Jenny when the girls came. She didn’t see Brian and Gus together, I paid attention because it was the first time I saw Brian thaw, and Gus was the reason. Although now I wonder if maybe I should have paid more attention and passed out questionnaires about where Brian was going.

 

“I’m sure that’s what he wanted you all to think,” Ted mumbled.

 

“Ben, we should go see of we can help the girls. Brian isn’t answering my calls and Mel said that he let Gus go with some artist that Lindsay just met, because Brian knocked the guy up,” Michael told him, making me think I could swing a trip to Canada AND get the baby room done.

 

“They let him go with some guy they don’t know? Did they at least find out who it was?” Ben asked, as if Brian would just sent him off with a random person. Then my brain re-ran it, and ta-da, baby mystery solved. 

 

“I was in shock when she said Brian knocked someone up, and missed the name,” Michael said, practically announcing to everyone.

 

“Brian’s having another kid? Jesus Michael, we’re going to have to help him,” Deb screeched.

 

“Fuck me. He wanted to at least give Justin a chance to settle in before all this started,” Ted said, letting his head fall into his folded arms on the table.

 

“Justin?” Ben asked, which only causes Ted to groan.

 

“Ted, from what Brian told me he hasn’t seen Justin since that one trip a year ago,” Michael announced, as if he’s the authority on all things Brian.

 

“Justin hasn’t mentioned Brian at all, except when he was asking about Gus the other day,” Ben said, proving that he and Michael can sometimes ignore the obvious.

 

“Teddy, grab Blake, because I need help now,” I told him, deciding to get at least one thing done the way Brian wants, and maybe learn a little more about Justin, since apparently he was going to be giving us a bundle of joy to spoil, and a new way to annoy Brian.

 

“You know he’s going to kill us don’t you?” Teddy mumbled, grabbing Blake on our way out.

 

“What did I miss?” Blake asked.

 

I looked at Teddy. Not that I wouldn’t tell Blake, but at least he’d feel included for a change. “Go ahead, since we’re all going to die anyway,” Teddy said, resigned.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin left us to talk, saying he needed to talk to his grandfather anyway. Gus kept his eyes on the TV, not looking at me.

 

“Are we going to talk?” I asked him.

 

“Why did they not want you to see me?” He asked.

 

He wasn’t going to start out easy, but I prepared for that. I knew Mel was really worried that I’d make her into the bad guy, but she loves Gus, and I appreciated it.

 

“They wanted you to be theirs; not mine and theirs. It’s something we all agreed to from the start. I really didn’t think I wanted to be a father. But you made that impossible the minute your mother let me hold you. I wasn’t ready to be a father in a way your mothers could accept when you were a baby. They knew it and only wanted the best for you. Only it wasn’t the best, because I figured out I wanted more than what they gave me,” I told him.

 

“They didn’t want you to see me,” He asked.

 

“Gus, it doesn’t matter, because if you need me, you call and I’ll be there.” I told him.

 

“Can’t I stay with you? Jenny is going to stay with Michael and Ben because it’s summer. I don’t care if I sleep on the couch or anything,” He told me, since he’d been to my loft.

 

All I could think was thank you for whatever it was that brought Justin into my life, and a house with a giant pool.

 

“I think we can do better than that, since Justin and I are moving into a house together,” I told him.

 

“He seems nice. He doesn’t seem to get what to do with kids, but okay,” Gus told me.

 

“You still need to talk right now?” I asked.

 

“Are you going to see Mama and Mom?” He asked.

 

“I need to, but I really would rather sit with you,” I tell him, deciding to let Mel and Lindsay sweat it out tonight.

 

I texted Lindsay when Gus went to sleep, that we could meet in the morning. I had something else I wanted to do. Justin was laying on the bed, sleeping. He’d come out and checked on us a few times, but left us alone. I felt bad that we didn’t include him, but he didn’t seem angry at all about it. When I laid down next to him, he opened his eyes, smiling sleepy.

 

“Everything go okay?” He asked. 

 

“Gus isn’t happy with Mel and Lindsay, but hopefully he won't stay angry forever.” I told him. 

 

“I was listening to what you said,” He told me. 

 

“And?” 

 

“You were trying to make it sound like they did what they did because it was best for him. It made me worry less about our baby, because it showed me that you'll be there to help me if I screw up,” He told me, kissing me.

 

“Gus mentioned that you didn’t seem to know what to with him,” I joked. 

 

“Molly was happy all the time, so, sullen was more me. She probably would have been more equipped to handle it, since she always got me to stop acting angry,” He told me. 

 

I refrained from giving my opinion for the reason that Molly was always happy. As far as I could tell, Molly was the princess to Justin's Cinderella in their family.

 

“The way my family acts is not her fault,” He told me, making me realize he could read me, better than people I've known all my life.

 

“Is it that your gay?” I asked, deciding that it was time we got to know each other.

 

“I’m sure they aren’t thrilled with it, but it’s more that I wouldn’t see the men they would approve of. My dad was constantly trying to get me to see men that would help his business interests. It wasn’t because he thought they were people I would be interested in, but people he could at least deal with, since they were from the ‘right’ families. There was even a guy who could have been my grandfather,” He told me.

 

“What about Molly, are they trying to force her to help the family?” I asked, with distaste at the idea of what he was telling me.

 

“I made it so she wasn’t around enough for them to try. I don’t want her to give in to my dad the way my mother has for years,” I told him.

 

“Are you close to your mother?” I asked.

 

“No. But only because I have a hard time respecting her for staying with my dad. My dad isn’t faithful to her, but she acts like she doesn’t know. It’s why I’ve never wanted a relationship, since all I see is what my parents had been like,” He told me.

 

“What about her parents?” I ask, because from what I found out they’d been together and solid.

 

“Until my dad kicked me out we didn’t get to see them as much, but even now I see them as unique, since every other relationship I’ve seen isn’t like theirs,” He answered.

 

“I wouldn’t say it in front of Ted, but he and Blake make it work. They had a hard road, but from the beginning they couldn’t stay away from each other. Now that they’ve cleaned up their act, they are probably one of the unique couples you’re describing,” I told him.

 

“Ted worships Blake. The whole time I worked there I could see it. If I hadn’t bothered Michael, I would have tried to get to know Blake, because Ted made him sound like a saint,” He told me.

 

“Blake brings out a side of Ted that I always knew was there, but it was hiding under all Ted’s insecurities. One day I hope the same for Emmett, even though most people don’t see Emmett’s insecurities the way we could see Ted’s,” I commented.

 

“That’s why I never reacted when everyone else ran to hide from you,” He told me, closing his eyes.

 

“Why not?” I asked.

 

“Because underneath all the things that scare everyone else, you actually care,” He said, falling asleep.

 

“Only you bring that out in me,” I whispered, watching him sleep.

 

MEL

 

When Brian called this morning he told Lindsay that he wanted to talk to me alone. Right now, I wasn’t going to argue. Lindsay told me what Gus said yesterday, and why we let it go on no longer mattered. We agreed that we would never treat either of the children differently, but it’s what we ended up doing. 

 

When we decided to have Jenny, we both knew we couldn’t ask Brian again, because he wouldn’t let us do it the same way again. I could see he didn’t like the way Lindsay and I decided what his role in Gus’s life was going to be, and that’s why we went with Michael. Michael and Ben were like us, and willing to let us raise Jenny, while providing a male influence in her life. There were a couple of issues, like when they tried to sue for sole custody. But in the end, even though I was angry, we managed to co-parent Jenny easily. Well, as easily as anyone could with Michael constantly wanting to know every second of what Jenny did. I guess part of the problem for me was while I wasn’t best friends with Michael or Ben, they believed in the same things we did. Brian on the other hand, stood firm on his beliefs. Which to me was partying till it killed him. Michael agreed that Brian would never want to be more than an occasional father, and since it fit what I wanted, I agreed and thought I was doing the right thing for my son. 

 

It was selfish, because it was more about liking that for once Brian wasn’t in charge of everything. I got what I wanted, but in the end it hurt Gus, by making him feel different from his sister. Then accepted money from Brian as if he had to pay to see his son, something Lindsay is still upset about. She insisted the money go into an account for Gus, and that we didn’t use it. I agreed, because what kind of person would it make me if we used the money that Brian didn’t owe us for anything but Gus. We tightened our belts, and were proud of ourselves for learning to live within our means. But why be proud of ourselves, when we ignored what it did to Gus?

 

I didn’t know what to think when Lindsay told me the guy we just met was with Brian. He seemed so different from the kind of guy I would expect Brian to be with… I never expected Brian to do anything but be irresponsible, but he’s turning that on its ear. 

 

“Mel, we can sit here not talking, but it isn’t going to solve anything,” Brian said, as if he doesn’t have all the cards in his hands.

 

“Are you happy about the baby?” I asked, because I can’t get my head around it.

 

“It might not have been planned, but yes, I am.” He told me.

 

“You didn’t even question if it was yours? Lindsay said Justin told her that,” I questioned, not trying to cause problems, just knowing if I was in his situation I would.

 

“Justin wouldn’t have told me it was mine if he didn’t know for sure,” Brian told me. Showing me that the trust he had in Justin was more than I ever had in Lindsay. 

 

It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Lindsay, but we had issues. No matter how much you forgive someone, both of us cheated at one time. It’s not something you forgive even when you say you do.

 

“We aren’t here to talk about my relationship with Justin, but our son and what we need to do to give him what he needs. I won’t do what we’ve been doing, you and Lindsay won’t keep me away from him,” He told me.

 

“It’s not like we have a choice right now, even if we made him come home, he wouldn’t talk to us. He’s been upset for the last year and we ignored it, hoping in time he’d get over this,” I told him, wincing at the look on Brian’s face.

 

“Have you gotten over your parents rejecting you, has Lindsay gotten over it? It’s what Gus thinks, that I was rejecting him. Something Justin feared I would do to him and our baby, all because I let this whole thing go on too long. Even I thought I wouldn’t be the kind of father Gus needs, but you know what? A father who wants him has to be better than what you and Lindsay let him believe,” He told me.

 

“We never told him you didn’t want him,” Which was weak, but it was the truth.

 

“No, you let me do it for you. It stops now. When he comes back after the summer, when he wants me, you tell me, and don’t make it hard for me to see him. In turn, I’ll up what I’ve been giving you so neither of you has to worry about anything again,” He told me, not helping our case by sounding like exactly what he’d been doing to see Gus.

 

“We already made that mistake, and no, you won’t give us anything to see Gus. It might not mean anything to you, but all the money you sent is in an account for Gus. We planned to give it to him when he graduated from school to do with what he wanted later in life,” I told him.

 

“Making sure he knew it was from you and Lindsay, I’m sure,” He told me, and I couldn’t say anything, because that was what we planned.

 

“How is he? I know he has to hate us now that he’s talked to you. I don’t blame you, but I need to know that he’s okay,” I asked him.

 

“I told him a watered down version of why you and Lindsay did what you did. That I wasn’t father material when he was born and you and Lindsay did what you thought was the right thing. Only, OUR son is far from stupid and can read between the lines. I’ll do what I can to make it easier on you, but I won’t sit back and pretend. All of us should have been better parents to Gus,” He told me. Why couldn’t he just say Lindsay and me?

 

“Lindsay and me, not you. We’re the ones… I’m the one, who wouldn’t believe you could change.” I told him.

 

“It was all of us. I’ve never let anything stop me when I wanted something, but I thought it was best because I didn’t want Gus to watch us fight the way I watched my family fight,” He told me.

 

“Brian, we never once believed you would do anything to hurt Gus, it’s not the man you are. Please believe me on that, Lindsay tried to tell me we needed to stop making it harder for you to see Gus, but I wouldn’t listen,” I told him.

 

“Are you listening now? Because Gus wants to spend the summer with me, and unless you make me fight you, it’s what he’s going to do. He needs to get to know Justin and see that another baby isn’t going to change that I love him just as much as I always have. I don’t have a problem if you and Lindsay want to come and see him. I’ll even make sure you have open tickets to Pittsburgh anytime you want. I want us to figure out how to share Gus the way you share Jenny with Michael and Ben. I also want rights to him, I’m not asking for anything more than you do for Jenny,” He told me, which was perfectly reasonable, but scared me.

 

“I’ll talk to Lindsay, we already agreed to let him go with you. You don’t have to pay for us to be able to see Gus, we can do that ourselves. I only have one question, the loft isn’t exactly made for more than you…”

 

 

“The house Justin and I are moving into is, and it would even have room for you and Lindsay to stay… on the other side of the house,.” He smirked.

 

“One other thing, we want to add your name on the account we have for Gus. Most of the money is what you gave us, and we added what we could, but in the end it’s really from you,” I told him.

 

“Send Ted the information and he’ll add the money I put aside for Gus’s future in it too,” He told me.

 

“I didn’t expect you to be reasonable about this,” I told him, as he got up to leave.

 

“You never expect me to be reasonable, or anything that would change your opinion of me. I want you to know calling Michael wasn’t earning you any brownie points with me. Instead of giving Justin a chance to settle in, now the whole family is going to descend like locusts on us. It was something I wanted to avoid, but apparently you decided to share our news before we wanted to, thanks,” He said, giving me a look that made me feel like utter shit.

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin needed to see his grandparents and told me that I could take Gus to see our house; OUR house, not his. I wanted to meet them. They stood by him, and that meant that they were good in my book. It was just, as much as I knew he wanted me to like his sister, I just didn’t right now. I needed to know why he didn’t see what she was doing, using him so she didn’t have to deal with what she did. I’d given Gus the choice of coming with us or staying with Ted and Blake. He said he always wanted to see someone richer than the Petersons. I almost told him I was and likely so was Justin, but I understood he’d been to the sterile house where nothing was to be touched, and wanted to see what Justin’s grandparents were like.

 

When we landed in Philly, Justin had a car waiting for him. He mentioned we should rent a few different ones so we could see which one we liked, since we were going to need a kid mobile. At first I didn’t really like the casual way he viewed things, but for him it was just the way he was, it wasn’t an act. We were driving down a long lane, and reached the house after turning into an open gate.

 

“They’re expecting us,” Justin told me.

 

“My mom’s parents used to get snippy if they didn’t know we were coming,” Gus told him.

 

“Mine really don’t care, as long as we show up more than every couple of months. Nana says she went to the trouble of having my mom for grandchildren, so we owe her more than a phone call,” Justin told us, smiling.

 

“She sounds interesting,” Gus answered.

 

“She can be uptight, but only if she doesn’t like someone. My Pop, on the other hand, reminds me of your dad. He scares the hell out of people but only because he doesn’t show anyone the real guy unless he likes you,” Justin told Gus, but was likely preparing me.

 

“Dad’s not like that,” Gus informed him.

 

“Ask Cynthia or Ted,” Justin whispered.

 

We stopped in front of house a lot like the one Justin bought, only it looked like it had more property. A butler opened the door, and Gus looked at me, since the guy looked stiffer than his collar.

 

“Master Justin, good of you to visit. Your grandfather told me to inform you he’d like to see Mr Kinney alone,” He told him, formal as shit.

 

Justin smiled and grabbed the man in a big hug. “Stop scaring them, Len. Grandpa is interested in Kinnetik still,” Justin told me, ruffling Len’s hair.

 

“I swear, you have no sense of decorum,” Len said, smiling at him.

 

“I do, just didn’t really get it. I mean you used to run around playing with me, so I don’t see the point,” Justin told him. The guy was at least eighty.

 

“Someone had to stop you from your schemes,” He said, leading us in.

 

When we got to the back of the house, his grandmother was sitting next to his grandfather, folders spread out around them. They were arguing about what they were looking at, but when Justin came in they stopped and got up to greet him. Both were dressed down, not formal, the way Lindsay’s parents would be.

 

“They don’t act like mom’s parents,” Gus whispered to me.

 

Marshall walked over to where we were and held out his hand to me. After introductions, he turned and held out a hand to Gus. Gus shook it, telling him thank you for inviting him. It’s something Lindsay’s parents expected when Gus was present.

 

“Good manners. Have you taught Justin any?” Marshall joked to Gus.

 

“I think I’m going to have to teach him how to deal with kids first,” Gus said, giggling.

 

“I’m sure your father will help him, from what Justin said, your dad is one of the good ones,” Marshall told him. 

 

Which seemed to score a point for Justin with Gus. “My dad is one of the best,” Gus told him.

 

“Why not go over and meet my wife, Vivian. She’s been looking forward to meeting you since Justin mentioned bring you,” Marshall told Gus.

 

“Dad?” Gus asked.

 

“Go ahead, I’d like to get to know Marshall,” I told him.

 

“Sir, is it alright if Gus has a snack?” Len asked me, carrying sugar overload on a tray.

 

“If he wants it,” I told him, knowing he would.

 

“Holy Cow!” Gus yelled when Len came out.

 

“I guess Gus wants it,” Marshall told me, leading me to his study.

 

After sitting down and seeing him root through his desk, he grabbed a bottle out of a drawer. I almost smiled that a man who could afford pretty much anything, drank Beam.

 

“I got used to it during college. Most of the guys couldn’t afford top shelf,” He told me.

 

“No Ivy league?” I asked.

 

“Of course, but I never really liked the jackasses who went there, only to waste time until their parents handed over their inheritance. I could have lived the same way, but it’s a waste of life. Vivian would have dropped my ass, just because she wanted a man with ambition, not Daddy’s money. She had to fight tooth and nail for her family to see that being arm candy wasn’t what she wanted in life,” He told me.

 

“What do you want to know?” I asked, deciding not to beat around the bush.

 

“Nothing really. Justin told me what he thought about you and that’s all I needed to hear. Unless you’d reconsider having a partner. Justin told me you plan to go global eventually, but why not go ahead now, when I’d be willing to help?” He asked me.

 

“Kinnetik isn’t ready yet. When I do, I want the right people in place. Doing it now would require adding staff, and I don’t want to hire only to fill positions. The people that I hire have to bring something that shows me they are an asset, not just a body to fill positions. I also don’t want my current clients to feel like they aren’t important because we get overwhelmed with business. When I take it global, I want to know Kinnetik could finance it without a partner, even if I decide to take one on,” I told him.

 

“Justin said you were good, and that I wouldn’t be investing in a business, but you. When you decide you want a partner, let me know. I like that you see all the angles before you make a decision,” He told me.

 

“How did he end up being the person you sent in to assess the businesses?” I asked.

 

“You worked with him, what did you think?” He asked.

 

“He’s stubborn.” I answered.

 

“He’s also good at business, even though he doesn’t really love it. Craig didn’t recognize it, because if he did, he would have seen that it was a mistake treating Justin like he wasn’t good for anything but getting some pervert to invest by offering up Justin,” He told me.

 

“Not Molly though,” I responded.

 

“Ah, that bothers you. What has Justin told you about Molly?” He asked me.

 

“I really don’t want to talk about her. My opinion isn’t the best and I don’t want him to have to defend himself over what his sister, to me, uses him for,” I answered.

 

“Then listen, it’s not that Molly knows she’s doing it, because Justin’s always done things to protect her. He makes sure to keep Craig in line, and yes Molly depends on him for that, but it’s how Justin is. He wouldn’t be on the outside of his family if he did what they wanted. They only see dollar signs, not children. Justin was old enough to tell Craig off and leave, but Molly wasn’t, and they’ve never done anything that would be considered wrong, so there was nothing Justin could do, since they are good parents as far as anyone knows. He wouldn’t have had to help Molly if she’d come to us, but like I said, Molly looks to Justin.” He told me.

 

“Justin said Craig would have tried to jump in if he knew Justin was at Kinnetik because of you,” I told him.

 

“He knows that I don’t invest in companies unless I see a winner. When he found out that was what Justin was doing for me, I was honestly pleased to see him realize what he’d lost by driving Justin away. Craig started out with a couple electronics stores, but after marrying my daughter took the money that we already bestowed on her, and invested with his group of trust fund kids. Only none of them wanted to work hard, just have a way to play harder. Craig does well without running Molly’s career, but he likes the doors her life opened up for him, after Justin closed all the doors in his circle. So how do you feel about having my great grandchild?” He asked, gauging my reaction.

 

“The same way it feels to know my child is inside him. Fucking great,” I told him, making him laugh.

 

“He was right, you are one of a kind Kinney. Let’s go out and let Vivian try to convince you to let us spoil Gus,” He told me.

 

MICHAEL

 

Ben seemed almost upset about Justin and Brian. I didn’t like it, but then it’s not like I didn’t do the same thing for years to him with Brian. I made us dinner, which was normally what he did, but I wanted to cheer him up. I wasn’t a fan of tofu but he loves it. So I got Ma to make the lasagna, having a fight over using tofu instead of meat and the vegan cheese Lindsay told me about. Ma stared at the ingredients in the cheese and shook her head asking what the hell was wrong with milk, you don’t have to kill a cow to get it. I let her put some real cheese in the middle, figuring Ben wouldn’t inspect it and because I really missed cheese, burgers, and everything else Ben thought was bad for me.

 

He ate it, not even paying attention or complimenting me on my hard work. It was really bothering me the way he was taking this news, like he was jealous or something.

 

“What the hell, you kept saying he was just a friend, but the way you’re acting it’s like Brian stole your boyfriend!” 

 

“Jesus, this again, it’s not that. It’s that like you always talk about Brian never keeping secrets from you, Justin never did either. I feel like he’s pissed at me, but I’m not sure for what. I’m happy if he and Brian are, but it’s like you when Brian shuts you out,” He told me.

 

“Then worry about it when you can talk to him. I went to a lot of effort for you and you’ve spent all night moping around. Remember me, the guy you love,” I reminded him, getting up and leaning in to kiss him.

 

“Yeah, sorry. Thank you for dinner but I need to get some work done,” He told me, walking off.

 

I couldn’t believe this, I grabbed my coat and slammed out the front door. He didn’t even come after me as I waited outside for him. I called Emmett to see where he was and took the car just because Ben thinks we shouldn’t unless we need to, something about harmful fumes or something. Well I was fuming so I doubted driving the car would matter. 

 

Emmett was sitting in the corner eyeing some guy. Seriously, Emmett needed to stop avoiding the guy he really wanted, but then said Drew isn’t twenty-one, which I don’t get.

 

“Hey, so what’s got you all fired up tonight?” He asked.

 

“Ben is acting like the world came to an end. He says they’re just friends, but really, he's acting like Justin owes him an explanation for having a boyfriend. Do you really that bothers Ben?” I asked, not really expecting an answer to that.

 

“Honey, until you figured out that Ben deserved to be number one, you did the same thing. Even the other day, you sort of ignored Ben because Brian didn’t answer you. Think about it, and cut Ben some slack, it’s hard when your best friend finds someone they need more than you,” He told me.

 

“Ted will always need you and so will I,” I told him.

 

“When I find the right guy, it won’t be such a big deal. Although I’m still thrilled for Brian, we should do something to welcome Justin to the family,” He told me.

 

“Maybe that will get Ben to cheer up, a surprise party at the loft,” I told him, getting up and leaving, excited for something that might make Ben perk up.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Vivian asked that we stay the night, and Gus pleaded, since they were spoiling him. I decided we were staying after Emmett called; swearing he didn’t mean to encourage Michael to throw a party, it just happened. He saved himself when he told me Michael planned to use the loft, since Emmett managed not to mention the house. I hung up when he asked about Justin, only because I like that he was scared right now. 

 

Justin had disappeared, saying he needed to check on some things and make some decisions. I didn’t want to make him feel like he couldn’t have time to himself, but I wondered where he was.

 

“He probably got lost in his work, he won’t care if you go see it. Just follow the path to the cottage and let yourself in, or you’ll be waiting all night for him to realize we’re all waiting on him,” Vivian told me.

 

“We can entertain Gus while you check up on Justin,” Marshall added.

 

“I’ll be back in a minute,” I tell Gus, who was really more interested in the big screen and the game he and Marshall were playing together.

 

“Len loves to play so I humor him,” Marshall tells me, but I have a feeling it’s Len humoring Marshall.

 

I left when Gus grunted, too busy trying to out race Marshall. I followed the path Vivian told me about, and it wasn’t that far and lit up in the back. When I opened the door I saw that Justin was working on a canvas. I knew he was an artist and had shows, but I’d never really seen his work, other than what he did for me. He didn’t look up as I walked around, just continued like I wasn’t there. 

 

He was good, truthfully better than the artists Lindsay use to drag me to see when Mel refused another night of staring at walls. There were paintings of his family, but there were also paintings of the times we spent together, up against another wall. Most were of me relaxing, some after one of our marathons.

 

“What do you think?” He asked, breaking the quiet in the room.

 

“I’m not surprised, what you did at Kinnetik was some of the best I’ve ever seen. Why don’t you show more?” I asked.

 

“I paint for me. I don’t mind showing when I feel like it, but since I don’t need to, I don’t have to give away a part of myself,” He told me.

 

“You don’t like the attention?” I asked.

 

“It reminds me of the people my parents surrounded us with... fake. It was sort of like the way Lindsay tried to make it sound like she knew me when Keaton and I walked up,” He told me.

 

“She’s always wanted to be part of the kind of circles famous artists go around in,” I told him.

 

“Nothing special about it. They’re a bunch of people who think they have a clue what the painting means, when sometimes the artist doesn’t know either. There are a few artists, like Keaton, that I can stand, but we’re all egotistical assholes most of the time,” He told me.

 

“Were you?” I asked.

 

“Of course. But I got over it. My agent hates that I don’t show, but reaps bigger commissions, because when I do, people will bid crazy amounts for what I will show,” He answered.

 

“Why work for your grandfather, when you don’t need to?” I asked, sitting next to him when he dropped his brush into a jar.

 

“I like that it didn’t require me to be anywhere for long periods of time. When I paint, I’m here longer than I usually like,” He told me.

 

“How are you going to deal with staying in Pittsburgh, because it doesn’t sound like you will?” I asked him.

 

“Molly needed me to be free to show up when she needed help. Now that she’s eighteen, she can start doing some of the traveling to me, instead of me to her. I still work with my Pop, so I’ll still be traveling around, just not as much,” He assured me.

 

“We might have a problem when we get to Pittsburgh,” I informed him.

 

“What?” He asked, kissing my neck.

 

“Everyone knows I’m bringing you back with me,” I tell him, helping him take my shirt off.

 

“And that’s a bad thing? It's not like they aren't going to notice when you have a baby around,” He tells me, yanking my pants off.

 

“I don’t care that they know. I just wanted to give you a chance to settle in before they act like showing up every ten seconds is their right,” I told him as I pulled off his shirt.

 

“It’s not going to send me running away. I like most of the people Ben introduced me to,” He told me, kissing my thighs.

 

“Not Michael?” I asked.

 

“I don’t dislike him, but he seems to think everyone wants Ben,” He told me, going down on me, without having a problem.

 

“You never did? Because I did once,” I told him. Wondering why it matters, when Justin licks my crown and runs his finger around my rim.

 

“Brian, shut up,” Justin orders me, before breaching me with one, then two fingers.

 

I shut up only because my head could only think about what he could do. He understood what I wanted without my having to ask. He arranged me the way he needed, and spread my cheeks, licking and nipping, eliciting moans no one else has ever heard from me. When I heard him ripping the condom wrapper, it didn’t even cause a second of doubt, knowing that he would top. 

 

“As much as you've done this, it's funny that you’re the one who is pregnant,” I told him, groaning as he started breaching me.

 

He didn’t start out slow, likely because he knew I didn’t want slow, but hard and fast. I reached for my cock, stroking it, because I needed release. He hit my prostate with every thrust, moving in time with my hand, and it was only minutes before I came, letting him use me to get what he needed. When he came, he laid his head on my stomach and waited out his release before moving off and out of me. I couldn’t move yet, because my body was still recovering. He studied me, they way he always did after.

 

“I want to paint this one day,” He told me.

 

“Not for anyone but us,” I told him. 

 

BEN

 

Michael wasn’t happy that I wouldn’t cheer up, and I knew I couldn’t talk to him about what really bothered me. I’m honestly happy if Justin is finally willing to get in a relationship, and I want to get out of my funk over what’s bothering me. Only, when I got like this, it was usually Justin who I could talk to. Ted agreed to meet me at my office when I called him. He was the only person I thought, out of all of the guys, who wouldn’t tell everyone what we talked about, he kept Brian’s secret for a year apparently.

 

“Ben, I don’t think either of them were trying to keep everyone from knowing. I don’t know Justin as well as you do, but when he worked with us, he reminded me of Brian. They only tell people what they want them to know,” He told me.

 

“I don’t get why I’m acting like this, Justin is just a friend. I've never once even considered him as anything else. It's just, after losing all my friends when my ex fucked up my life, Justin was the only one I really could talk to, and he pretty much told me everything too. It felt like shit that I was the last person to find out he's been seeing Brian. Maybe not the last, but he didn’t tell me. Did he think I would lecture him, or was it that he didn’t trust in our friendship? Thinking back on anything I might have said concerning Brian, I tried not to say anything that wasn’t true, but it wasn’t always complimentary toward Brian. Not that he ever really brought Brian up,” I told him. 

 

“You do realize you sound like Michael right now, don’t you?” He asked.

 

“God. I know, and used to hate it when Michael acted like this,” I answered.

 

“Are you sure you might not have felt something more than friendship for Justin, because it’s why Michael acted like this about Brian. If you do, please remember Justin is with Brian now,” He reminded me.

 

“I’m not blind. Yes he’s attractive, but I’ve never thought of him in any way that a friend wouldn’t. Don’t take this wrong, but with him I could get out my frustrations about the gang and Michael. And yes, Brian was a big frustration that Justin heard about. For the first time, it feels like he doesn’t trust me with parts of his life,” I told him.

 

“It’s what happens when you get in a relationship. There are parts of your life with your partner that you’ll never even tell your best friend. Emmett always knew everything about me. But now, out of respect for my partner, there will be parts of my life with Blake that Emmett won’t know about. It bothers him, but he knows it doesn’t mean that he isn’t still important to me,” Ted told me.

 

“Michael doesn’t even seem upset about Brian finding someone. You have to admit, that’s not something anyone thought would happen,” I told him.

 

“That should tell you that he loves you more,” Ted reminded me.

 

“It feels good,” I answered.

 

“Then stop worrying about Justin and focus on Michael, who is going to have Brian kicking our asses,” Ted told me, getting up.

 

“It’s not like Brian shouldn’t have expected it, with Michael and Deb,” I told him, before he walks out the door.

 

“Just make sure they don’t give him shit when it doesn’t work out the way Michael thinks it will. Brian wants Justin to have time and not get the full welcome before he’s ready.” Ted told me.

 

“And Michael and Deb don’t care, they’re worried about how Brian is going to handle not only having Gus, but also a baby,” I told him, making him come back and sit down.

 

“That might be something that bothers Justin. You know Mel and I are friends, and there’s a lot the girls weren’t exactly honest about. I only know because I spend more time with Brian than anybody else does since I started working for him. I never really asked Brian about his relationship with Gus, but I didn’t need to; I’ve been there when Mel and Lindsay said no when he wanted to see Gus. Instead of telling Gus that he couldn’t come because Lindsay and Mel said no, he’d make it sound like he couldn’t get away. When he hung up, I was there to see how much Brian wished he could say yes. Emmett saw it, but then he notices things that the rest of us usually don’t pay attention to. If you were telling Justin that Brian was a disinterested dad, imagine what he must have thought when he found out he was about to bring another Kinney baby into the world,” He told me.

 

“Mel and Lindsay never gave Michael and me any problems when it came to Jenny,” I pointed out.

 

“That’s because you and Michael had rights, something Brian didn’t have. They couldn’t say no to you. Imagine if they could what it would be like, and understand that what you thought was Brian blowing Gus off might have… no, was, Brian taking what he could get from the girls,” He told me, leaving me not liking that I might have said things that put doubts in Justin’s head about Brian.

 

JUSTIN

 

Pop and I were sitting around while Nana took Brian and Gus to meet some of her friends. I knew she did it so Pop and I could talk before I left. It wasn’t like we didn’t talk about my mom every time I showed up.

 

“Are you going to tell your mom?” Pop asked.

 

“Eventually. But you know she’s going to tell Dad. Brian already has a problem with Molly, so I wanted us to have time before he hates Dad,” I told him.

 

“He thinks Molly uses you so she doesn’t have to see the ugly side of the Taylor family,” He told me.

 

“She knows. She saw how it was for me,” I told him.

 

“You have to let her stand on her own two feet, and let us help her. You have a family of your own to think of now,” He reminded me.

 

“It’s scaring the shit of me. I’m happy about the baby, but Gus really opened my eyes about how little I understand kids,” I told him.

 

“Until you have them you don’t have a clue, and then it’s hoping you’re doing everything right. Nana and I weren’t perfect. We left your mother alone more than we should have; letting business and social events take our time away from her. It’s why I think she didn’t see your father for the person he is, because he gave her the things we weren’t,” He admitted to me.

 

“Brian’s worried about my lack of staying in one place for long periods of time,” I told him.

 

“It’s something he has a right to be concerned about. I couldn’t complain about it because you were doing what I needed you to do,” He told me.

 

“We’ve talked a little about it, and he’s told me he wants us to offer stability for this baby. I want that too, and having a place to call home sounds nice instead of stifling, which is new for me,” I admitted to him.

 

“Justin, you love Brian, and there’s nothing wrong with that,” He told me.

 

“I know. It’s not like I’d be willing to live with him if I didn’t,” I responded.

 

“Have you told him?” He asked.

 

“Not yet. I guess I want to make sure we can do this,” I told him.

 

“If you want it, you’ll do it. Take a leap of faith. Playing it safe only wastes time. You know how I feel about wastes of time... since I really never liked your father,” He joked.

 

“So does Dad,” I told him, kissing his head and deciding to ship everything to my new life.  

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Gus raced into the house, wanting to look around. Justin was still on the phone arranging to move his things and answering questions for the company Marshall was buying into. He’d been taking calls the whole way here, and answering Gus’s questions about him. He didn’t notice that he would ignore his call if Gus asked a question. Something that leads me to believe he's going to be a good father.

 

The deal he was working on before he came here was in the final stages, and I was willing to stay at his grandparents house until he and Marshall finished, but Justin wanted to get to Pittsburgh. He told me he could work from the phone and computer at this point. I called Cynthia and told her to set up the office at the house, for both Justin and me. With Gus here, and Justin not sure how to deal with a preteen, it made more sense to try to work from home. Gus wasn’t going to be left waiting on me while I worked. I wanted to talk to Justin about helping to free up my time for both him and Gus. Justin was good at reading people, and in my business that's what I looked for in my employees. 

 

Cynthia showed up with Ted in tow ten minutes after we arrived. She passed me, handing me files, and went to find Justin. Ted just stood there, likely waiting for me to kill him.

 

“Color me surprised that there wasn’t a caravan waiting at my front door,” I growled, just to watch him jump.

 

“Brian, leave Ted alone,” Justin told me, coming out with Cynthia.

 

“He should have expected worse, since he hired Emmett to do the house. Ted is owed a thanks for managing not to tell Blake, who would then tell Emmett, who would in turn squirm until Deb got the information out of him. So yes, leave Ted alone,” Cynthia commented, while Justin seems to absorb what she said.

 

“Where is Michael in that chain?” He asked her.

 

“No one tells him, since Deb will make sure everyone knows,” I told him.

 

“Is there a reason you don’t want to tell them?” Justin asked.

 

“I wanted you to have a chance to settle in, to make this our home. They all mean well, but they also can’t mind their own business. For example, Michael’s throwing a party in my loft, without thinking ‘will Brian kill me for the damage I’m likely to cause the loft’,” I told him.

 

“Why does Michael have access to the loft?” Cynthia asked me, raising her brow.

 

“Did Emmett get everything done?” I asked, ignoring her.

 

“We sort of ran into a problem. Emmett didn’t want to buy the furniture, worried that Justin might not like what he chose. He told me to tell you, just check out the rooms he did and tell him which direction to go, then he’d return what you didn’t want,” Ted said, backing away.

 

“Explain what you mean by ‘rooms’,” I asked him.

 

“Hey Dad, there are like five different baby rooms, is there something you didn’t tell me?” Gus asked, looking at Justin, who doesn’t look like he’s carrying quintuplets or even one. 

 

“Why are we decorating a baby room?” Justin asked, like he forgot he was pregnant. “Yes I remember, but you do realize we have a while before we needed to worry about it?” 

 

“I want things done, so we won't have to worry about it later,” I explained to him.

 

“He hates not being prepared,” Cynthia told him.

 

“Tell Emmett, when Justin and I decide, then I’ll send everything back,” I told Ted, who knows exactly why Emmett did it.

 

“He’ll show up anyway. He really deserves it for managing to keep it all quiet,” Ted told me.

 

“It was Mama who told Michael, so he has a point,” Gus reminded me, defending Emmett.

 

“I’m good with Emmett coming over, he always smiled at me when Ben and I ran into him. Which reminds me, I need to return the ten calls Ben made soon,” He told me. “Did Emmett stock the kitchen? ” Justin asked Ted.

 

“He filled you guys up with things you can just warm up. He was planning on looking up things that were good for the baby, but stuck to easy things for now,” Ted told him.

 

“You hungry?” Justin asked Gus.

 

“Are you kidding? I’m a growing boy, so of course,” Gus told him, following Justin in.

 

“Anything I need to know about at the office?” I asked them, as they follow me in.

 

“We got a call from Taylor Electronics, wanting to schedule a meeting,” Ted told me.

 

“Cancel it,” I told him.

 

“Why?” Ted asked.

 

“My dad owns it, which means he knows I’m here. Sorry, I shouldn’t have told Molly,” Justin told me.

 

“Is there a problem between you?” Ted asked.

 

“Not really. He disowned me years ago. I’m sure he thinks I’m here to try to buy into Kinnetik for my grandfather. If he had asked a year ago then he would have been right. At least I didn’t tell Molly about the baby. So we have time before my mom shows up,” Justin told us.

 

“You were trying to buy into Kinnetik?” Ted asked.

 

“Not me. My grandfather. He was impressed at what you all accomplished in such a short time. We couldn’t figure out why you hadn’t expanded, so I got a job to see what I could find out. It’s what I do,” Justin told him.

 

“You decided against us?” Cynthia asked.

 

“Brian wouldn’t have been willing. After we started seeing each other on and off, my grandfather didn’t want Brian to think I was using him, so he told me unless Brian agreed, knowing everything, we’d leave it alone,” Justin told her, putting a pan in the oven. “I’m going to call Ben, so remember this is in the oven. I’m hungry.” 

 

“Hey Justin, you know the oven has a timer right?” Gus asked him.

 

“Cool,” He said, walking out of the room.

 

“Who is his grandfather?” Ted asked.

 

“You know, I’m not going to say it… Yes I am. Do you ever ask questions?” Cynthia asked him.

 

“You knew he was Marshall’s grandson?” I asked her.

 

“Yes. Since we talked about his family,” She told me.

 

“Guys, I’m still waiting for an answer,” Ted reminded us.

 

“Marshall Miller,” Cynthia answered him.

 

“He was interested in us?” Ted asked.

 

“He still is, but is willing to wait for us to come to him. Right now we aren’t ready to expand,” I reminded him.

 

“With that kind of backing we could. I’m not saying all over the world, but maybe Chicago or New York,” Ted told me.

 

“Eventually. And when the time comes, I’ll take him up on his offer. Are we done?” I asked them both, wanting to get back to my time with just Gus and Justin.

 

“Knock, knock, I let myself in when Blake told me that Ted said you and Justin were here,” Emmett told me, smiling.

 

“Deb and Michael better not be behind you,” I growled, looking at Ted, who at least knew his ass was dead.

 

“I’m turning over a new leaf… They were busy planning the party, so I slipped out when they were debating streamer or silly string... and forget you heard that. So where is the womb carrying my next niece or nephew?” Emmett asked, exiting the room, after knowing silly string and my hardwood floors were never to meet.

 

JUSTIN

 

Ben picked up on the first ring. I’d been ignoring his calls, only because I knew he’d be upset that I didn’t tell him about Brian. It wasn’t because I was hiding it, just not wanting to discuss it to death. Ben might not be forceful in his opinions, but he tends to analyze things to death.

 

“So, was there something you forgot to mention to me in the last year?” He asked. 

 

“I wasn't sure what it was, and I didn’t want to hear your opinion on Brian and I having a baby. What you told me was enough to make me worry he wouldn’t be happy about it. Which, in case all the unanswered calls didn’t tell you, pissed me off, when I found out it wasn't the real reason he has problems seeing his son,” I told him. 

 

“I honestly thought it was. It wasn't like he corrected what we believed. It isn't like that for Michael and me with Jenny,” He told me. 

 

“You have partial custody, so they couldn't put conditions on you. You do know Brian doesn’t have any rights, so instead of assuming the worst, realize you didn’t have a clue why his situation was different,” I told him. 

 

“I guess I wanted to believe it was Brian,” He admitted. 

 

“Why?”

 

“You know how Michael idolized Brian. In a way, for me it meant Brian wasn’t the idol Michael thought he was. It's not his fault that my relationship with Michael had problems in the beginning but mine, for saying I understood that there were feelings that you can't change for people from your past,” He told me. 

 

“From what you told me, they are in the past for Michael, so why say shit that made Brian sound bad?” I asked. 

 

“Habit and jealousy. I'm not telling you this to cause problems, just in hopes it explains my mind set. Brian and I had a one night stand, and he went on with his life. When we met again through Michael, it was a blow that he didn’t even look at me as anything but the guy Michael brought with him. I don't want him, I’m just used to men being attracted to me, and Brian acting like I wasn’t memorable wasn’t easy,” He told me. 

 

“Why would you even want him to, since you said you didn't want him?” I asked, confused since my theory was always to walk away when they wanted me to.

 

“Because my husband couldn’t stop wanting him. Even though Michael no longer treats Brian as his personal property, it’s still a fear that if Brian gave Michael the chance, he'd leave me. Once again, my fault, since Brian never did anything but encourage Michael to be with me. I promise to work on it so you don't feel like we can't talk to each other,” He told me. 

 

“Then don't take this the wrong way, but you tend to overshare about you and Michael. I'm not like that, and there are just things I wouldn’t tell anyone. I would have told you about the baby, but Mel seemed to think it was her place to announce it. Something I don't appreciate,” I told him. 

 

“She knows she was wrong.” He responded. 

 

“It doesn’t really help my opinion of her. She didn’t have the right to tell anyone, but apparently none of you care about that,” I tell him, knowing Ben would start on reasons I should try to see it her way.

 

“Justin, she's always worried about how Brian’s life would affect Gus. What she and Lindsay did, while not right for Gus, was only to protect him from what they knew of Brian. They haven't seen that he's changed from the past. And in truth, he still does things that someone in a relationship normally doesn’t,” He told me. 

 

“Since we both agreed to an open relationship, not that I called it a relationship, he wasn't doing anything wrong. Just because you need to be in a relationship without any diversions doesn’t make it the only way to be in one. Judging his parenting based on his lifestyle means you never bothered to see what he's like with his son. It's why I'm not willing to see Mel’s side on this. The whole time Gus has been with us, Brian’s attention is on him. It's more than I can say for a lot of supposed great parents,” I told him. 

 

“Based on yours, Brian would be better,” He responded. 

 

“I'm hanging up if all you want to do is put him down,” I told him. 

 

“Justin, I didn’t mean it to sound like that,” He told me. 

 

“It did. So it sounds like you mean it to. Which bothers me, since I’ve never said anything about my opinion of Michael to you,” I reminded him. 

 

“Can you convince Brian to come to the party? We can talk and it will give me a chance to apologize to you. Michael is really excited, and wanted to show you he's a good friend,” He told me. 

 

“Brian doesn’t want a party. Maybe you and Michael could respect that,” I told him, hanging up. 

 

“This will be fun. I'm Emmett. I tried to stop it, but once Deb and Michael want to do something, it's impossible to stop them,” Emmett said, standing behind me.

 

“I’m starting to see that. It's nice to actually meet you,” I told him, getting engulfed in a hug.

 

“Could you convince Brian it's a good thing to meet me?” Emmett asked, getting behind me when we heard a growl.

 

“Hands off,” Brian glared.

 

“Really, caveman?” I asked, returning his glare.

 

“Possessive is new,” Emmett teased the bear about to maul him.

 

“Not where he's concerned. Remember it,” Brian told him, pulling me against his chest.

 

“So about this party…”

 

“It's not my fault,” Emmett told him. 

 

“Make sure Deb and Michael know it's not mine either that we didn’t show up for a surprise party. Off you go,” Brian told him, pointing to the door.

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

The party was a complete waste of time. No one showed up, including Brian and Justin. Ma and I were sitting around the kitchen table eating after an hour went by, I had silly string ready to shower Brian and Justin with, but ended up just sitting there randomly spraying it at Ben, who barely talked to us while we waited around. He told me they probably stayed away to avoid a party neither of them were interested in having. Ma started packing up stuff and told Ben to stop moping and help clean up. Emmett warned me it wasn’t a good idea, but I wanted to cheer Ben up and show Justin that I wasn’t as bad as I seemed when he was here taking up all of Ben’s time.

 

Our next attempt was a week later, when I knew they were in Pittsburgh, not at the loft but still here in town. Ma cooked a buffett for our normal Sunday dinner that everyone attended, knowing it wouldn’t be fun if they didn’t. I decorated while Ben helped, still acting like his world was over. I was trying to be patient about this, but even I was reaching my limit. He talked to Justin, and it didn’t seem to change anything. I tried to talk to him about it, knowing there was a time when I acted the same way when Brian and I had a difference of opinion. I don’t get it, he was getting what he wanted from me, but acting like what we had didn’t matter. Which is why I was trying to be patient, because he put up with me doing the same thing in the past.

 

Ben was bothered that Justin wouldn’t tell him where they lived, except to say that it was close by. Emmett admitted they bought a house, but said he liked breathing so no help from him. Ted avoided the topic, saying he barely survived Brian's wrath.

 

Ma sent out orders that everyone was coming to dinner, knowing that no one denied her. I wanted to make friends with Justin, and help Mel, who pretty much knew she was on the shit list with Brian, Gus, and Justin. I wasn’t sure what to do to get them to see that Mel was only looking out for Gus, and Ben told me Justin didn’t see it that way. Truthfully I still didn’t understand what happened, since no one was talking.

 

Ma and I didn’t get it, from everything we’d seen, Brian was constantly too busy the last year, so how was it Mel and Lindsay fault he didn’t see Gus? I tried to get him to come with Ben and me when we went to visit, but he would tell me he didn’t have time. So it was really his fault, not the girls that Gus hadn’t seen him. When I mentioned it to Ben, he told me we assumed based on our experiences with Mel and Lindsay, but wouldn’t say what we assumed that was wrong. It was getting to the point where I wanted to scream at all of them for not telling us exactly what the hell happened.

 

Brian wasn’t answering my calls, but I wasn’t worried since I no longer expected him to call me or answer to me the way I used to. Of course, it was probably more that my life no longer existed as if Brian was the only reason for it. I remember wondering why I couldn’t be happy with Ben, who was giving me everything I wanted. I realized if I loved Ben, then chasing after Brian wasn’t the way to go. It was easier than I thought it would be, because I really loved Ben. Ben gave me all the things that Brian never would, and when we adopted Hunter, Ben gave me a family that eclipsed Brian.

 

My plan was to get him and Justin to come to dinner and with Ma’s help we see if we could solve whatever happened. Jenny only said that Gus wasn’t talking to the moms, just her. Mel kept telling me it was between her and Brian, and to leave it alone. Only I wanted everyone to get along again, so she could just deal with it. The perfect opportunity came when they told me they were coming to drop off Jenny. Mel and Lindsay dropped off Jenny, saying they were going to stay with friends, but reluctantly agreed when Ma told them they would show up for Sunday dinner. I was starting to think maybe what Ben said was right, that everything wasn’t what we thought. I get things, it just takes time.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Brian and Gus were going to do some father-son bonding and I wanted to explore my new life, so I told him to have fun and said I had things to do. Brian wanted me to come along, but I could tell Gus really wanted to spend the day with Brian alone. It didn’t bother me, I was used to doing things on my own and actually liked to. It wasn’t like I didn’t get that my life was changing, and I was working on dealing with the fact that Brian needed to know what I was doing. 

 

I think part my problem is getting used to things I didn’t know about Brian. We might have spent a year around each other, but it was usually a week or two at a time, at the most. Not enough time to know he’s a bit anal about everything having a place. I tend lose things, since I’m not organized except when it comes to work. Until now, my life was temporary wherever I went. So there were people who took care of things, like my clothes and the dishes I left behind, and knowing there was a timer on the stove. 

 

Brian mentioned this dinner that we'd been invited to, not really saying we had to go, just that it was something they all went to. He kept acting like they'd send me running the minute we spent time with them. If I could survive the country club, I doubt a small dinner would be a problem.

 

I really wanted to talk to Molly about telling our dad I moved back here, but Brian wasn’t a fan of my sister. Wait until he meets my dad, Molly will look fantastic then. I found the restaurant Molly wanted to meet at, and dreaded going in. This was the place my parents liked to go. I was ready to walk out when not only was Molly at the table, but my mom.

 

“I thought it would be nice for the three of us to have lunch together. You two are never in the same place at the same time,” Mom said, as if that was the only reason I didn't see her.

 

“It's only lunch.” Molly told me, when I still hadn't sat down.

 

“It's it, or is it that Dad wants something?” I asked, deciding the baby needed to eat and sat down.

 

“Honey, he's just worried about you. We both are. You can't spend your life partying away. It's time for you to settle down. Molly mentioned you bought a house and moved in with a guy you barely know. I have a right to be worried, especially after some of the things your father found out,” She told me. 

 

“Tell Dad he isn’t after my money. Which might surprise him, since that's why he married you,” I told her, not caring that it hurt her.

 

“It wasn’t like that,” Mom said, still denying anything that didn’t fit into her delusions about Dad.

 

“Justin, knock it off,” Molly warned. Before, I would have, but this involved Brian, and Molly started this by telling our parents.

 

It was the moment I wondered if I should have let Molly deal with our dad. She might have gotten angry with him, but she was still close to him. I wanted to believe what I was doing made her life easier, and it did. But it also made it so she didn’t see what the Taylor family was really like when you didn’t agree with them.

 

“If you hadn’t felt the need to tell Dad things that were none of his business, then I wouldn’t see the need to say anything,” I told her.

 

“They were going to find out, so what’s the big deal?” Molly responded.

 

I stopped my mom before she said she had the right to know about my life. “I don’t report to you, or anyone in Dad’s family. It’s not like you weren’t there when Dad told me if I wasn’t going to help the family, then the family didn’t need me. So I don’t feel the need to inform my former family about what I do,” I told them, ignoring them in order to hurry up this lunch.

 

“Dad is sorry that he made it sound like you had to date his friend. He thought it showed you that he supported you,” Molly said, like this was some grand gesture on my dad’s part to show that my being gay didn’t bother him.

 

“Then I guess it won’t bother you when he starts introducing you to men old enough to be our father and expecting you to ‘help the family’. Which he will, now that Mom can tell him I’m not going to be there to stop him,” I told her.

 

“How could you stop him?” Mom asked, confused.

 

“Don’t,” Molly said, since she knew what I knew.

 

“I don’t need the leverage now that your going to start dealing with your own life. I’ll have the information sent to Mom, and she can chose to believe what she reads, and the pictures, or stay blind to what Dad was doing while watching you. Enjoy lunch on me, since I lost my appetite talking to both of you,” I told them, getting up after throwing money on the table.

 

“Sit down!” Molly ordered me.

 

“Molly, lower your voice,” My mom whispered, looking around.

 

“Yes, lower your voice, since the approval of people we don’t know or care about has always been more important to the Taylors,” I told them, walking away and leaving Molly to deal with it all.

 

Once outside I really didn’t know where to go, and then decided it was time to decide on a car. I’d been renting cars, as if I didn’t want a permanent one. The same way I wouldn’t agree to commit to one of the rooms Emmett created. Although part of that was because they were all amazing. I called Emmett, since he told me he was at loose ends most days, and he agreed to come with me. I needed to start making friends with the people in Brian’s life, since my life was going to include Brian. It was more that Brian might growl at Emmett, but I knew from what he told me that he liked Emmett, a lot. 

 

Emmett and Blake were waiting when I got to the place he told me to pick him up. They both got in, not even worried that Emmett didn’t mention Blake was coming with us.

 

“Let’s go before anyone figures out we left,” Emmett told me.

 

“Ted can distract them for only so long,” Blake added.

 

“Why would Ted need to distract them?” I asked.

 

“Baby, the minute they all found out about you, it’s all they could talk about. Michael and Deb actually had the surprise party, even when I told them not to, and agreed it was wrong to do without asking. Something that normally doesn’t happen, which means they're onto something new. Ben is acting like someone killed his dog, and driving Michael insane, which has been all kinds of interesting, since at one time Michael did it to Ben over Brian. Ben wasn’t thrilled with Michael at the time, but he didn’t really tell anyone. Only Michael doesn’t suffer anything alone, he tells EVERYONE. Deb plans to make sure you and Brian know what your doing with the baby, likely by offering to raise it for you. Plus, she and Michael think you and Brian are being unfair to Mel and Lindsay, and think making you guys talk to each other will solve everything. I’m on Brian’s side of this on the Mel and Lindsay thing. If Gus wanted his dad, what was the big deal? It’s not like Brian would do anything worse than any other parent. I guess I should tell you Mel and Lindsay showed up and will be at dinner, since they probably didn’t mention it to Brian,” Emmett said before winding down.

 

I looked to Blake to see if he had anything to add. “I was actually pissed that Mel announced your news through Michael, other than that, what he said,” He told me, nodding to Emmett.

 

“It wasn’t how I wanted to tell people, but I’m not going to stay pissed about it. Brian doesn’t want there to be problems between him and the girls for Gus’s sake, so hopefully we can figure everything out, to make it easier on him and Gus,” I told them.

 

“What are we doing?” Emmett asked.

 

“I decided I like this car, so I want to go buy one, then return this one. Then maybe you guys could come with me and help me make a decision on the baby’s room, it’s been hard to decide which one I like more,” I told them, making Emmett beam.

 

BRIAN

 

Gus and I got home from shopping to see a new car in the driveway. Justin kept saying he didn’t want a car he’d end up not liking if he didn’t have time to see if it was really what he wanted. It sounded to me like it was about more than a car. It was definitely a learning curve actually living together. Justin tends to put things everywhere, and I like to know where things are without having to search for them. Anytime I mentioned making a decision about the baby’s room, setting up his studio, or sometimes even dinner, he changed the subject.

 

When we got in the house, Emmett and Blake were in the kitchen with Justin, all of them stuffing their faces. I’d been undecided about dinner with Deb tonight, but it seems Justin was doing okay with Emmett and Blake. 

 

“You know we have dinner in a couple of hours?” I asked them.

 

“I missed lunch, and apparently the baby wasn’t happy about it,” He told me.

 

“Gus, why don’t you come tell me what you’ve been doing with your dad,” Emmett asked Gus.

 

“Guys, it’s not a big deal,” Justin told them.

 

“He still should know what happened,” Blake told him.

 

Justin got up and pulled me behind him. Blake smiled, so I didn’t think it would be anything bad. He closed us in the bedroom and tried to pull me into a kiss. I really had no problem with him wanting to touch any part of me, but he’d used this before to avoid talking to me.

 

“Tell me.” I said, kissing him.

 

I pulled him away before we got too carried away. “I had lunch, well I didn’t eat lunch, but went to have lunch with my sister. Only, she brought my mom, and I sort of get why you have a problem with the way things are between my sister and me,” He told me.

 

“Justin, there’s helping someone, then there’s helping someone who uses you. She gets you to show up and then likely makes sure your dad and his family think she was only following what you wanted. You see things about people and situations that most people don’t see. But with her, you still want to believe you have to solve them for her. In the end, she gets to have it all,” I told him.

 

“I didn’t care, it wasn’t like I could look any worse in their eyes,” He responded.

 

“You also made it so she doesn’t realize what they are really like,” I reminded him.

 

“She will now. I can’t ignore my life for hers anymore. I want the second room, with the oak crib,” He told me.

 

“Then we decide what room to put it in and Emmett will get it ready, waiting for the baby,” I told him.

 

“I bought the car, and called someone to outfit my studio,” He told me.

 

“Anything else?” I asked.

 

“Not yet, but the day isn’t over, are we going to dinner?” He asked, licking up the side of my neck.

 

“Do you really want to? I can deal with Deb if we don’t,” I told him, running my hands down his back and cupping his ass.

 

“Later. We’ll decide later,” He told me, taking off my shirt, while I took care of my pants. 

 

Justin pushed me back on the bed and went down on his knees, taking me in his mouth. Foreplay with Justin was just having him touching me lately. He stroked up my thighs separating them as his hands wandered, rubbing around my rim. He licked his way down until his lips closed around my opening, then he sucked, pressing his tongue forward tracing around the hole before forcing his tongue to breach me. I never really wanted this from others, since they never really did it right. Justin could give me a run for rimming. He held me open while he left nothing untouched. I spread my legs wider without a thought to where we were going with this. I honestly didn’t have any thoughts other than to get him to fuck me, before I came just from his mouth. Justin proved he could multitask by being naked by the time he had me opened the way he wanted.

 

He tore open a condom wrapper and managed to keep me stimulated before pushing in all the way. I relaxed through the burn and the stretching it took to handle Justin’s generous proportions. Opening my eyes and looking into his to let him know I was ready for more. He took a deep breath before pulling out and plunging forward, I loved that he had to fight for control when he was inside me. It was the same thing for me when it was him.

 

He jerked me, holding my hips as he thrust in me, I started stroking myself when he continuously hit my prostate, and came all over both of us. He groaned as he came, holding himself still until he was done. He laid down next to me, getting rid of the condom. 

 

“So, dinner sounds good,” He told me, getting up and going to take a shower.

 

I looked down at my still hard cock and decided a shower sounded better. Justin seemed to agree, since I found him all prepared for me in the shower, bent over and smiling over his shoulder, legs apart, waiting.

 

“So we’ll be a little late,” I told him, not really caring if we showed up at all. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

MICHAEL

 

I lied to Lindsay and Mel and told them we decided to start dinner an hour earlier. They’d been avoiding my calls all day. The same way I’d been ignoring Ben acting like an ass lately. When they arrived forty-five minutes late, it didn’t save them from Ma or me. Carl told us he’d play with Jenny outside while we talked. Which took away any excuse for them to avoid answering our questions. Lindsay really tried to avoid it. Only, Ma pointed her to a chair the way she use to do to Brian and me when she knew we were about to do something stupid. I’m still trying to figure out that skill, since I need it with Hunter, who is proving I have a lot to learn about teenagers. Hunter is being patient and helping me figure out how to raise him. 

 

“Deb, we’ll figure it out. There’s no need to help us,” Mel told her.

 

“Obviously there is, since Jenny told me Gus is angry at you two, instead of at Brian. If what we’ve been told is the truth then why is Gus angry at you?” Ma asked, well, demanded, to know.

 

“He’s just upset because we didn’t welcome Brian coming to the house the way we did with Michael and Ben,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Wait a minute, you have both been telling us that Brian was the one who couldn’t be there when Gus asked him. Which isn’t what it sounds like you’re saying now,” I told them.

 

“When he wanted to see Gus, he had to ask us first. We didn’t want Gus to be hurt, since Brian barely played much of a role in his life when we were here,” Mel commented.

 

“You didn’t act like you wanted him around Gus, even I know that. I know I agreed with you that he would at best be an absentee father, but it’s not like I know everything,” I told Mel and Lindsay, only to turn when Ben laughed, and smiled at me. “Hell, it took me this long to stop thinking Brian was the problem,” I told Ben, as he laughed harder. It felt good to see it.

 

“We know we made a mistake and we’re trying to make it right. We might as well get it all out. We only let Brian see Gus when he put money in Gus’s account. We didn’t use it, just made sure he knew there was more to being a father than showing up and doing the fun things,” Mel admitted.

 

“Are you fucking kidding me? I tried to defend you two to Justin. Good God, no wonder he acted like I shouldn’t have,” Ben said, standing up and walking to stand over the girls. Lecture time. At least it wasn’t me this time. “I hurt my friendship with Justin because of the things I said about Brian and his lack of interest in Gus. Do you know that it made Justin doubt that Brian would want his baby? This whole time you both let us all believe that Brian treated being a father like something he ignored, unless you made him show up. Instead, now we’re finding out that you made him pay for time with Gus, and even then I have a feeling he still had to jump over whatever obstacles you put in his way. I guess Michael and I should be glad you couldn’t do that to us,” Ben told them.

 

“He agreed to give up Gus, so he knew it was up to us when he could see Gus,” Mel said, weakly.

 

“He wanted to see Gus, and Gus wanted to see him. Anything else shouldn’t have mattered. What the hell is wrong with you two? I know I always say nothing can replace mother’s love, but having an interested father is important too,” Ma told them.

 

“We know, and we’re trying to make this right. Can you guys back off and let Brian and us figure this out?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Apparently you two haven’t figured it out, since Gus isn’t talking to either of you,” I commented.

 

“If it has to do with Jenny then we’ll talk to you about it, but since it’s about Gus and Brian, stay the hell out of it,” Mel told me.

 

“This is Justin’s life too, and as his friend, I think Michael is right, you two need help. It bothers me that neither of you saw anything wrong with making Brian pay to be with Gus,” Ben told them.

 

“We weren’t using the money,” Lindsay stated in their defense.

 

“That changes what? So you didn’t use it. You still let all of us believe Brian was the problem,” Ma told them. 

 

“Good God, after dealing with you and the hundred and one phone calls, we were stupid not to agree to Brian again,” Mel said, shaking her head.

 

“It’s called 'interest in my child'. You asked me to let her go with you, and I agreed. Well it didn’t mean I forgot she exists and didn’t want to know what I was missing, since apparently Canada was the answer to every gay person’s prayers,” I told them.

 

“It was so you and everyone else wouldn’t show up at our house! Something Brian actually respected, and at least made sure to call!” Mel yelled.

 

“What the hell was wrong with us wanting to help you with Jenny?” Ma screeched.

 

“Nothing, if you had bothered to tell us you planned to spend all day every day at our house!” Mel yelled back.

 

“Are we interrupting?” Ted asked, as he, Blake, and Emmett came in.

 

“They act like anyone wanting to show the kids attention should be done only when they want us to!” Ma yelled.

 

“You’re sorry you asked, aren’t you?” Blake asked Ted.

 

“Everyone thinks we owe them an explanation about something that has nothing to do with them!” Mel told him.

 

“Definitely sorry,” Ted answered. 

 

“I brought dessert,” Emmett said, like that was going to stop Ma or Mel.

 

“I practically raised Brian, so yes, it’s my business that you two lied to us about what’s been going on. How could you not let him see his son?!” Ma was really reaching ear bleeding levels.

 

“OUR SON. The one Brian signed over to us!” Mel yelled, not really up to Ma’s level.

 

“What does it matter now? Brian is getting to see Gus,” Lindsay yelled over everyone.

 

“It matters because it makes me worry what would have happened if Michael hadn’t been insistent that he be allowed to be more than a cup of sperm!” Ma glared at Lindsay.

 

Well, I might have said cone, since that’s how I delivered the goods, but I don’t think they cared about being exactly right at this moment. I looked at my watch and realized this was not the impression I wanted to make on Justin. 

 

“If only that was all he was!” Mel yelled. 

 

Oh well, it’s not like he shouldn’t get the full family dinner, since he’s standing at the door with Brian.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I waited outside when Ted, Blake, and Emmett decided to brave what was going on inside. I really tried to convince Justin we should have just stayed home. Carl came to the front and told Gus that he and Jenny were playing in the back, not that they couldn’t hear what was going on in the house from the back. Gus took off to the back, not really in a hurry to see his mothers. Meaning we would be staying until Gus was ready to go.

 

Justin ignored what we were hearing and seemed to think we should continue what we stopped to get ready to come here. Only, when his stomach started going off, I decided to get this over with. Michael saw us first, shrugging at Mel and Deb standing toe to toe, shouting at each other. When Ben spotted Justin, he seemed to forget whatever he was angry about and came over and bear hugged Justin, earning a glare from me.

 

Deb stopped to see what Ben was doing and came over and took over the hugging, which I could deal with. Of course, she had to check him from head to toe, then slapped his ass to show she approved. Then it was back to Mel.

 

“Before this night is over, you two will apologize to Brian for the things you made us all believe. AM… I… CLEAR?” Deb asked, making each word louder than the next.

 

“Maybe Lindsay and I should go where we don’t have to defend ourselves,” Mel told her quietly, when Carl came in with the kids.

 

“Then don’t do something you would need to defend,” Ben adds, before dragging Justin off with him.

 

“Is this what it’s always like?” Justin asked, when I caught up to him.

 

“Sweetie, if you can’t yell at family, why bother having one?” Deb told him, pinching his cheeks as if he was Gus or Jenny.

 

“I’ll have to try that on my mom, since nothing else seems to work,” Justin told her, not even bothered by Deb invading his space.

 

“I made pretty much everything, since no one told me what you like,” Deb told him, handing him a plate for the mountain of food on her counters.

 

“Brian, can we talk?” Lindsay asked me.

 

Justin waved me off, piling two plates. I was almost going to ask where he planned to put it all, but he handed one to Gus. One thing he and Gus seemed to have in common was, as long as it was food, they ate it. He started on another plate but went lighter on the portions, and looked to see if I wanted anything else. 

 

“Less carbs, but good,” I told him, so he took the bread and added it to his plate. I followed Lindsay outside, to get whatever she wanted to talk about over with.

 

“Has Gus said anything about Mel and me?” She asked.

 

“I talked to him and made him understand we all thought we were doing the right thing. He’s still bothered that the right thing meant not seeing me. Which hopefully you and Mel won’t repeat,” I told her.

 

“Do you think he’ll agree to spend the day with us before we go back? We’re staying for two more days,” She asked.

 

“Ask him. If it’s what he wants, then he gets it. See what it’s like to be reasonable?” I asked her before going inside.

 

“You should come to my comic store,” Michael told Justin, looking eager to spend time with Justin.

 

“I was going to see if Justin wanted to come sit in on one of my classes,” Ben told him.

 

“You really think anyone would go to school if they didn’t have to?” Michael asked him.

 

“People sometimes like to hear what I have to say,” Ben told Michael.

 

“I really didn’t get half of what he said,” Michael shrugged.

 

“It was fun debating if there was hidden gay subject matter in common things,” Justin told him.

 

“Justin always came up with a new point of view,” Ben said, like a proud teacher.

 

“I’m sure he did, but right now I’m interested in Justin, not you and Michael,” Deb told them.

 

“What do you want to know?” Justin asked, not answering either Ben or Michael.

 

“Where are you from and why hasn’t Brian brought you here before? When are you due? What made you and Brian not tell anyone you two were together?” Deb threw at him.

 

“I’m actually originally from here, but I left when I didn’t like what my family expected of me. Until recently Brian and I hadn’t really established what we were doing, so he didn’t have a reason to bring me here,” Justin told her, stopping when Gus asked for a drink; getting up to go get it while continuing to answer Deb. “I’m just over two months, so seven more to go. Like I said before, we didn’t exactly define our relationship, but when I told Brian about the baby, he didn’t want to keep doing what we were doing. He said he wanted to see the things he missed with Gus,” Justin said, smiling at Gus, while the rest of the group glared at Mel and Lindsay.

 

At first I thought Justin didn’t realize how everyone would react to what he was absently saying as he took care of Gus, but when he sat down he joined in the with the the group, only smiling.

 

“We get it okay, we shouldn’t have thought what we were doing was the right thing,” Mel sighed.

 

“Sorry, I guess I didn’t realize how it sounded,” Justin told her.

 

“Didn’t you?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I was just answering Deb. Which, by the way, anything that doesn’t include tofu or meat substitutes work for me. Having the real thing versus what’s good for me is all that matters to me,” Justin told her.

 

“Honey, don’t get me started on the shit Michael brought over to make dinner for Ben. I’m still trying to understand what’s wrong with cheese. They seem to think we aren’t helping the cow by using the milk that would kill their tits if we didn’t get it out of them,” Deb told him.

 

“You said you made it,” Ben told a guilty looking Michael.

 

“They aren’t so bad. Actually, they’re rather entertaining,” Justin told me, kissing me.

 

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

JUSTIN 

 

Gus agreed to spend the day with his mothers, but Brian got a call from Cynthia when they were about to leave. So I told him I’d take Gus, since they wanted to pick him up at Michael’s shop along with Jenny. 

 

Michael was sitting on the floor reading a comic while Jenny played with her dolls. I’d never really gotten to know Michael, since it seemed like he didn’t want me around, but watching him play the part of Ken to Jenny’s Barbie was strangely cute, although a bit weird since Ken was Barbie's boyfriend. Gus went to the rack and picked up a superman comic and waited in the chair in the corner. Brian had to promise Gus that when the moms went home that he was still saying. Gus told him he wouldn’t act like a brat, and would try to get along with everyone. So instead of being a moody, pissed off kid, he was busy planning what Brian and I were going to do with him the whole summer. The pool featured big in his plans, and he even told me if I wanted to go look at art, he was in. I told him we could forgo museums, maybe even go to the theme park I liked to go to when I lived here, and somehow I was suddenly cool for an old guy. I didn’t comment on twenty-seven not being old, just decided to take the cool part as a compliment.

 

“Not a whole lot to see, but it’s mine,” Michael told me.

 

“As long as it’s your dream, that’s all that should matter,” I told him.

 

“Do you read comics?” He asked.

 

“Not really, but I do like the way the art is done in a few of the graphic novels I’ve looked through. I did check out a convention they had in London when I was showing in the same exhibition,” I told him.

 

“Ben told me you rarely show your work,” Michael said curiously.

 

“I’m my own worst critic. Plus I tend to like to branch out into other forms, so it takes me longer to get enough pieces to show. I don’t like to paint on command, and I really don’t need the money, so I’m lucky enough to be able to turn down opportunities unless I want to do them,” I told him. 

 

Lindsay and Mel followed a kid into the store. Michael waved at the kid who grabbed a comic and sat on a bean bag chair in the corner.

 

“All I know is the minute Ben and Lindsay start talking, it’s all about hidden meanings and what the artist was trying to tell everyone. Jenny, Gus, and I sneak away,” Michael said, laughing when Lindsay rolled her eyes at him.

 

“It wouldn’t hurt you to at least try absorb more than a comic,” Lindsay told him, smiling at me.

 

“Justin, how are you?” Mel asked, wary about my reception after last night.

 

“Brian had to go in to work, so I decided not to make him go out of his way to drop off Gus. Have fun and call when you need one of us to meet you to pick him up,” I tell her, not really answering her.

 

“Well, are you guys ready?” Lindsay asked Jenny and Gus, getting that right now wasn’t the time to ask how I felt about anything.

 

Gus made sure to mention that Brian promised he was staying all summer. Mel and Lindsay got his message loud and clear. 

 

“We can drop him off at the house if you want us to, instead of you having to meet us somewhere,” Lindsay told me.

 

“Call Brian and see if that’s what he wants. Whatever makes him and Gus happy is fine with me,” I answered.

 

They left with the kids, and Michael held back his chuckle until the door closed. “I never thought I’d see someone out do Lindsay in the backhanded comments department, but I believe I just did,” Michael told me.

 

“I’ll eventually stop, since Brian wants us to all get along for Gus’s sake. I actually liked them both when I met them, it’s what they did to Brian that rubbed me the wrong way.” I told him.

 

“Can I say, I know I acted like a total asshole when you were here the last time, but it was the first time I actually worried about Ben with another guy,” He told me.

 

“If he hadn’t been my advisor at one time, I might have tried. But all I could think was, ‘does he lecture in bed’?” I joked.

 

“I think it’s the only time he doesn’t, just grunts a lot,” Michael laughed. “Are you and Brian doing something together, since the girls have Gus?” He asked.

 

“He needed to work, and I’m still getting used to the idea that we’re doing this relationship thing. We really didn’t spend enough time together before this for either of us to know what the other one was really like. I think we both needed to get away from each other, since the anal avenger is threatening to organize my life so I can find things without spending two hours trying to remember where I put them,” I told him.

 

“Yeah, that’s why I never even brought up him and I sharing a place when he was looking for an apartment. Brian’s idea of decorating didn’t include comic memorabilia everywhere. Ben and I managed to combine our ideas into something we both liked when we started living together. Only, I was still acting like we were dating and still expecting both of us to spend all our time with the gang, instead of time with each other. I know he didn’t like the way everything that came out of my mouth was about Brian, in case you haven’t heard through heard grapevine. I spent half my life thinking Brian was just sowing his oats before wanting what I do. It took me a while let go of the idea that Brian would eventually want what I wanted, but I got there,” He told me, shrugging.

 

“Ben told me about it when it was going on,” I told him.

 

“I think that’s why he was acting like Gus after we all found out about you and Brian. I never realized he didn’t have a lot of friends outside of mine. We’ve made friends with some of our neighbors, but we only do couples things with them. While Ben can talk to Emmett or Ted, you were his go-to guy when he needed to talk to someone; the way Brian was mine for years,” He let me know.

 

“It was hard on Ben. The friends he had through his ex, stayed with the ex. They stopped talking to Ben, even though he didn’t do anything wrong except to trust the guy who screwed him in more ways than one,” I told him.

 

“Do you think maybe that’s why he’s friendly but still keeps a distance from my friends?” He asked.

 

“Wouldn’t he be in the same situation if you and he broke up?” I responded.

 

“Emmett and Ted don’t let anyone tell them who they can be friends with. And once you’re one of Ma’s ‘boys’, nothing changes that for her. I couldn’t tell you what Brian would do, but then they really aren’t friends. Ben’s always been a bit judgemental about Brian’s life, at least he was until he realized what Mel and Lindsay were doing to him,” He told me.

 

I almost asked him how he felt about Ben and Brian’s one night stand, but didn’t. I don’t think he knew, judging by the way he was talking. I’d ask Brian about it later, but really didn’t see any reason it would bother Michael, since it was a long time ago. My stomach made enough noise to make the kid who was still sitting on the bean bag jump.

 

“How about I call over to the diner and order some food. Ma is dying to feed you. You want anything Ray, since we’re ordering?” Michael asked the kid.

 

“I could eat,” He told Michael, continuing to read.

 

The door opened and a kid came in, staring at me. “So, this is what Brian knocked up?” He snarked.

 

“Justin meet my son, the smart ass. Hunter meet Justin. I’ll tell Ma to triple the order since you showed up. Be nice to him,” Michael told him, going to the back.

 

“He’s really just using you as an excuse to eat a burger,” Hunter told me. “Hey Ray, you staying out of trouble?” Hunter asked, going and sitting next to the kid.

 

Curious to see what was behind the curtain, I went to find Michael. He was talking... and talking... and talking, to his mother. After telling her I was here, he laughed when the line went dead.

 

“I should have started with you being here. I think I wanted Ben because he reminds me of my mother and her many lectures on everything I should be doing,” He told me, while I looked at all the framed sketches by comic artists.

 

“Your a closet Art fan,” I commented, studying the sketches which were incredible, for only being done in pencil.

 

“No one calls it anything but wasting my money on collectables,” He answered, believing it.

 

“This one by Cal Jones would go for for more than my paintings. He signed it, and I’ve never seen another one,” I tell him, hoping he insured it.

 

“He sent it to me when I wrote him a letter saying thanks for giving us heros when sometimes the world seemed devoid of them. I’d been dealing with bullies, and comics were my escape,” He told me.

 

“Yeah, he’s pretty good with his fans,” I told him.

 

“You’ve met him?” Michael asked, excited.

 

“Yes. We talked about his art versus mine; it takes a lot to get the details in the panels. It interested me, so when he was at one of my shows, I made a point of talking to him,” I answered.

 

“I should have believed Ben when he said I’d like you,” He told me. 

 

“You’re really not the shithead I thought you were either,” I responded.

 

Deb yelled for us to get our butts out of the back before we were left with just the crumbs. Michael practically ran over me to get to the cheeseburger. His moan told me it was time to get the tofu out of his life. We were both stuffing our faces while Deb beamed at us. It wasn’t until Ben walked in that Michael looked guilty for his closet meat fetish. 

 

“Michael was just being polite, since tofu makes me vomit,” I told Ben, while Michael nodded.

 

BRIAN

 

I didn’t want Justin to be here when I met with his father and mother. Justin was already dealing with his sister disappointing him, and I didn’t want them making it harder on him. I was honestly curious as to why they thought talking to me would do anything, since Molly knew I wasn’t the easiest person to win over, and most likely described me as the bastard I pretty much was around her. I told her to her face that I didn’t like the way she treated Justin and that batting her eyelashes did nothing for me. I was honestly surprised she never told Justin about that conversation, but then she would have had to admit she tried to get me into bed. Something I’m sure worked on most men, since she was beautiful and knew it. Only, she didn’t get that without a dick, or even with one, she would never have what Justin does.

 

Cynthia called when Craig showed up and announced he planned to stay until we could talk. Craig Taylor and I needed to understand each other anyway. And even if it pissed off Justin, I was going to protect him from the whole family. On my way, I called Marshall and asked what to expect. I never walk in without knowing as much as possible about the enemy. He told me about a news item that was about to hit the fan, and likely open his daughter’s eyes. I could tell he didn’t want to tell her, but wasn’t willing to let her be kicked in the teeth when it came out. 

 

Cynthia was willing to have Craig tossed out through the closed glass doors by the time I arrived. It wasn’t hard to understand why when the jackass was leering at her with Justin’s mother standing right there. 

 

“While I’m sure most men like staring at Cynthia’s tits, she really doesn’t enjoy it,” I told him, watching Justin’s mother act like she didn’t see him eye raping Cynthia.

 

“Do you see why I’m concerned about who Justin’s living with?” Craig asked her, as if he was innocent.

 

“When you walked into this building, did you see it was a business? If not, let me clarify why people come here. It’s so that I can turn their product into gold. I don’t play here, and I certainly don’t invite people here for personal issues with me or Justin. In this case, I’m making the exception so both of you understand that I take it personally when Justin is upset or when anyone pisses him off,” I told them, waving them into my office. Craig carried a folder with him, as if it should worry me.

 

“He opened a business in a bathhouse,” Craig pointed out, gesturing around like the cum was still on the walls.

 

“Which still has clients coming in droves, so obviously it’s not really an issue for me, or for the people who beg to be clients,” I told him.

 

“We were hoping Justin would be with you. I’m his mother, Jennifer, and this is my husband Craig Taylor,” Jen said, as if I should be happy to see them.

 

“If Justin wanted to see you, I’m sure he would have called and told you. So, can we get what you two wanted to say, done?” I asked her.

 

“I’m sure my son makes it sound like we didn’t welcome him at home, but that’s really just him creating drama where there was none,” Craig informed me.

 

“Why do you think I care?” I asked.

 

“You need to understand, Justin tends to not think things through, and we, as his parents, don’t want to see him lose what he has because he jumped into a relationship with you. We are only making sure he’s protected when he gets bored with you,” Craig warned me, opening the folder. “When Molly told us about you and Justin, I made a few discrete inquiries, and felt my son should know who he is involved with. I’m perfectly willing to let him have his fun with you, but in return for not showing him this, we want to know what he’s doing for his grandfather,” He smirked, handing me the folder.

 

It wasn’t a couple of weeks worth of information, but everything from the minute Molly met me. I let him smirk for a few minutes, before handing back the folder. 

 

“Nothing in there is anything Justin doesn’t know, so show him. We never promised fidelity, and were pretty open about it,” I told him.

 

“Let’s hope Marshall thinks the same way you do,” Craig told me, smirking again.

 

“Hold on and we can ask,” I told him, dialing and putting it on speaker phone. 

 

“Done dealing with my son-in-law already?” Marshall asked when he answered the phone.

 

“He’s here and wanted your opinion of how I live my life,” I tell him, watching Craig’s smirk disappear.

 

“The one before, during, or now with Justin?” Marshall asked.

 

“I think the file he brought was during and now. Not that now is anything like during,” I answered.

 

“How is that any different than him sleeping with girls Molly’s age, while saying he’s watching out for Molly? At least Justin knew and agreed to what you two were doing. Unlike my daughter, who still thinks her standing in society means turning a blind eye to Craig’s infidelities,” He responded.

 

“Dad, I don’t care what Justin made up, Craig wouldn’t do that,” Jennifer said, upset.

 

“I have a folder, likely like the one Craig has, only I chose not to show it to you. Although I doubt it’s going to matter soon, since the girl is planning to sue Craig for support and loss of income, since he got her pregnant. I’m sorry to have to be the one that tells you, but you need to prepare yourself for what’s coming,” Marshall told his daughter.

 

“Craig, tell me he’s lying,” Jennifer demanded, as Cynthia brought me the information to give to her.

 

“He can lie to you, since he’s done it all his life, but Molly’s friend has proof,” Marshall told her. 

 

“If you need us, your mom and I are here,” Marshall said, hanging up.

 

“Molly’s friend, the one you invited to the family picnic? The one you said needed a father figure? She’s barely older than Molly. I put up with my friends, and your business partner’s wives…” She said, lost.

 

“She came onto me,” Craig said, like it made a difference that he knocked up a kid his daughter's age.

 

“Well, not that Justin was really going to tell you, but I guess congratulations on a kid and a grandkid. Hopefully they won’t share a birthday. Now fight on out of my office,” I told them both.

 

“He didn’t tell me?” Jennifer said, hurt. Then she turned and punched the shit out of Craig. 

 

“My attorney will be calling you,” She warned, standing over him. 

 

“Please tell Justin I’m sorry for my part in the shit Craig wanted, and I’ll understand if he can’t forgive me for it,” She told me, walking out while standing tall.

 

“So, anything else? Because I sort of want to let Cynthia have her wish to throw your ass through the glass doors,” I told him, smirking, as he got up and ran after Jennifer, telling her he’d straighten it out.

 

“I don’t know which family is worse, yours or Justin’s,” Cynthia told me.

 

“Let’s hope mine doesn’t come to visit. But you know, I doubt my mom could handle Justin,” I told her, thinking maybe it would be fun to see. 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian called me while Deb and I watched as Ben took a bite of Michael’s burger. I left, telling Ben I’d catch up with him later, not wanting to interrupt the two of them. Deb followed me out, and told me she’d come with me to see Brian. She liked to check-up on all of them at least once a day. She was worried about Emmett and gave me a brief version of Emmett’s active love life. 

 

“Until Drew, Emmett tended to be able to pick himself up and go on. Well, for a little while after Ted, he mopped around, but Brian managed to help him get over Ted. I think we all wondered why the two of them thought it would work. It’s the same thing Michael took years to understand about Brian... Shit, you did know about Michael’s crush didn’t you?” She asked, telling me Michael was right, someone would eventually tell me.

 

“He told me about it, but Ben talked about it a lot too,” I told her.

 

“They all wanted relationships, but weren’t willing to look outside what was comfortable. I think Brian just knew if he did have a relationship, the person would have to be someone who challenged him and stood up to him. And my son, God love him, likes having someone else do the standing up. It would have been as disastrous as Emmett and Ted were. I wasn’t thrilled with Blake at first, but he proved to me he could love our Teddy. Now, I just want Emmett to find his way. He’s really happy that you and Brian decided to make a go of it, but I can tell he feels left out,” She told me.

 

“What about the Drew guy?” I asked.

 

“Drew wasn’t ready for the things Emmett wanted. Emmett was watching Drew explore a new world, and found out that Drew wasn’t at his level yet. It wasn’t easy, but Emmett told him to go experiment. Emmett isn’t like you and Brian, he needs to be the only one in the person’s life,” She told me, without sounding like she disapproved of what Brian and I were doing.

 

“Why not find Drew and see if he’s tired of the experiments?” I asked.

 

“He’s not easy to get to. I’ve called his agent, but I think the agent is just trying to keep this chapter closed after the last time,” She told me.

 

“What does he do?” I asked, since my agent knows who works for who.

 

“He’s the Quarterback for the Iron Men. Carl got tickets, but we can’t convince Emmett to go. I think he wants Drew to come to him,” She told me.

 

I was about to ask her why she was telling me all this, when I saw my mom taking a crowbar to my dad’s penis car. 

 

“Jesus, that woman’s got an arm. Maybe we should call Carl,” Deb told me, laughing when my mom shoved the crowbar into the tire.

 

“I didn’t know my mom had that in her,” I responded.

 

Brian came walking towards us, stopping my mother from using the crowbar on my father before coming over to me. Brian tried to act like it was every day my parents were here at Kinnetik. I watched my dad trying to tell my mother that whatever pissed her off meant nothing to him.

 

“So, I met your parents. By the way, you have a brother or sister on the way. I told them that we’ll be hoping ours doesn’t share a birthday. And it’s likely the divorce is going to be in progress after your mom gets out of jail for killing the car,” Brian remarked casually.

 

“Why were my parents here?” I asked.

 

“Sweetie, it’s normal to want to meet the new man in your child’s life,” Deb said, walking over and blocking my dad from stopping my mom.

 

“What did they think of my new man?” I asked, letting him know I wasn’t happy he didn’t tell me.

 

“I think they came armed to see if they could make the new man do what you wouldn’t, for the good of the Taylor family. Which includes a file of everything I did when we weren’t together. I guess they thought showing you the dates I got a blow job while we weren’t together would be a problem for you,” He told me.

 

“Really, they only got the blow jobs?” I asked, since I know Brian had no problem with pretty much doing anything in public.

 

“I guess it took them a few months before they got someone inside Babylon. By then it’s about all they could have caught me doing,” He admitted.

 

“Why?” I asked, curious.

 

“Why put in all the work when the end was disappointing,” He answered.

 

“The blow jobs weren’t?” I asked, thinking I’m pretty good at what I do.

 

“My hand was getting calloused,” He told me.

 

“You know I don’t really mind, right?” I told him.

 

“Yes. But since the moment you came here, we’ve been fucking like the energizer bunny. I can’t believe I’m actually going to say this, but I’m actually too fucked out to even think about getting it up after you,” He admitted.

 

That was really a compliment I could get behind, since I usually took a week to recover after our visits in the past. I wanted to return his sharing, but apparently my dad was at the pleading stage, trying not to lose half of what he owned to my mom.

 

“We can make her sound like a gold digging whore; someone who used our daughter. I promise there won’t be anymore indiscretions,” Dad said, as if my mom was being offered a deal.

 

“He knocked up one of your daughter’s friends and all you're doing is killing his car?” Deb asked, looking at my mother.

 

“Not only that, he was telling me that he was only giving the girl a father figure,” Mom told her, going for the front now.

 

“Seriously?” Deb asked, looking at my dad.

 

“Mind your own business,” My dad told her, treating her like the help.

 

“Sure. But next time use a raincoat, because a baby probably isn’t the only thing you gave her,” Deb told him.

 

“I like her,” I told Brian.

 

“He touches either of them, and make sure you have bail money,” Brian tells me, as he heads towards my dad when tries to shove Deb out of the way.

 

Holy hell, it was on. Ted came out with Emmett, while Cynthia was on the phone. This was my mom’s nightmare come to life. Only, for the first time she didn’t demure and try to pretend nothing was wrong. Brian, Emmett, and Ted didn’t touch my dad, until he tried to push past them to tell my mom how he expected her to handle the police officers that pulled up. I could tell Brian didn’t like Emmett taking the lead, but stopped when Emmett told him he had a family at home and Emmett didn’t. That was all it took for me to decide I was going to help Deb with Emmett.

 

Deb called Carl and told him everything was handled and there was no need to drag anyone in. Cynthia called a cab and let my father know he needed to leave when he seemed to be waiting around, as if my mom would eventually go with him. I really wasn’t in the mood to deal with my mom, still not happy about the last meeting she and Molly sprung on me. I’m sure Molly would be calling anyway.

 

“Justin, I should have listened.” My mom told me.

 

“When I’m ready to listen to you, I’ll call,” I answered.

 

“Hungry?” Brian asked.

 

“Pizza sounds good,” I told him, happy he understood that I really didn’t want to talk about it.

 

“To you and me both, Baby. Let’s get Big Bad out of here before he shows Craig just how close he was to get his ass handed to him,” Emmett told me.

 

“My hero,” Brian said, sarcastically

 

BRIAN

 

I called Lindsay to tell her to meet us at the carb fest, after Justin told me they asked to come over to the house. Until Justin wanted people over it wasn’t going to happen. I also wanted it so Justin didn’t hold back if he was pissed at me about meeting his parents without telling him. One thing I learned was that Justin didn’t share anything in common with his dad or sister, but like his mother, he’d wait until it was time to say what he felt. Although, hopefully he doesn’t trash my car the way she totaled his dad’s.

 

Justin and Emmett ordered three different pizzas, but I noticed Gus’s favorite was one of them. When Gus came in he at least looked like he’d had a good time, which right now was all that was important to me. Mel sat beside Emmett while Lindsay sat next to me.

 

“Thank you for making it easier on us,” Lindsay whispered.

 

“All I want is what I asked for, my rights reinstated. What I did was for Gus’s sake,” I told her.

 

“Mel and I are talking about it, and if she doesn’t agree than I’ll help you any way I can,” She told me.

 

“Are you two having problems again?” I asked.

 

“We’ve been doing better than we ever have, but if it comes down to Gus being happy the way Jenny is, then I have to do what Gus needs,” She told me, this time loud enough for Mel to hear.

 

“We have to have the papers drawn up, it takes time. There’s also the fact that we don’t live in US, and we’ll be dealing with two countries,” Mel told me, which just sounded like her excuse for not already starting the process.

 

“You’re citizens of Canada?” Justin asked.

 

“Not exactly. Apparently it wasn’t as easy as Mel thought it would be,” Lindsay told him.

 

“It’s like most countries, they don’t mind the revenue you bring, but they want to help their citizens keep the jobs, not give them away to people who aren’t citizens. In a few dealings for my grandfather, we usually work it out so we look for the talent within the country. It makes it easier to deal with the local government. Politicians don’t like reporting their unemployment rate is growing because we looked outside the available workforce,” Justin told them.

 

“I thought he was an artist?” Mel commented.

 

“I am, but I also decided to use the degree I got to piss off my father,” Justin told her, smiling.

 

“Why not move back to the states?” Emmett asked.

 

“It’s something we’ve been talking about, it’s not like my job is very challenging anyway,” Mel said, looking like it hurt to admit she was wrong.

 

“We both miss being where we know everyone,” Lindsay said to Mel.

 

“We both realize that the kids need more than us,” Mel told Lindsay.

 

“Do they need us for this conversation?” Emmett asked.

 

“No one is going to make us feel like we failed,” Lindsay told her, reaching for her hand.

 

“Nope. Want to go swimming?” Justin asked Emmett and Gus.

 

We left while they went on and on about their feelings, paying the bill. I ordered a couple bottles of wine, since they didn’t notice we left. When we got to Deb's, Emmett dragged Justin up to his room, saying he was just going to grab a few things. Carl was eating leftovers and watching TV.

 

“Where’s Deb?” I asked.

 

“Helping some new friend drown her sorrows. Something about man problems, I just told her to have a good time,” Carl told me, sharing his chips with Gus.

 

“By any chance did it have something to do with the thing at Kinnetik?” I asked.

 

“Son, as long as I’m not the main problem, I don’t ask. That’s what she has Emmett for,” He told me.

 

“I’m ready.” Emmett said, carrying a bag.

 

“Swimming doesn’t require that much,” I told him.

 

“Baby was telling me he was having a hard time getting organized, I thought I could make it easier on both of you if I helped him,” Emmett told me.

 

“He’s going to finalize the baby room too.” Justin added.

 

“You do understand that that means the rest of them will start trickling in,” I told him, pulling him to me.

 

“Did I mention that I invited my best friend to come and see where I plan to live,” Justin told me.

 

“No, you didn’t,” I answered.

 

“I guess I forgot. The way you did about the meeting with my parents,” He responded, kissing me and pulling Emmett and Gus to the door.

 

I could deal with Emmett if that was all Justin was going to say on the subject. Not that we wouldn’t talk about what his dad tried. Then it hit me, he said where he planned to live. Hell, my mother could come over after he said that. Not that I wanted her to. 

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Emmett and I stood in the doorway of the bedroom while clothes went flying by.

 

“Isn’t that Versace?” Emmett asked, as yes, Versace went flying by into the pile.

 

“I know I have a bathing suit,” We heard from the depths of the closet. Which was the biggest plus in my book during the tour of the house.

 

“Are you getting why I tried to help him?” I asked Emmett.

 

“Honey, I’m starting to wonder who the clothes horse really is between the two of you,” Emmett said, when a pair of Prada boots I knew I hadn’t seen yet went by.

 

“Imagine my surprise, since I rarely saw him dressed in anything but cargos and sweaters that the Big Q would love, at work,” I told Emmett.

 

“I didn’t want you thinking ‘how is the kid working for barely anything wearing next year’s summer line?’,” Justin mumbled. Proving he was paying attention to us while still searching for the bathing suit he threw out past us ten minutes ago.

 

“How do you get them to let you have clothes they haven’t put out?” Emmett asked, apparently hoping, like me, that we could get in on it.

 

“You really think major companies were hiring models to do anything other than modeling? They give me stuff, and I let them use mine for private shows,” Justin said like it's normal.

 

“Is his work that big?” Emmett asked.

 

“Lindsay knew who he was, so I’d say so,” I answered.

 

“You don’t know?” Emmett asked.

 

“I really don’t show often. But yeah, people tend to covet what I will show. If you want to look, my assistant was here while we were out, putting it away,” Justin told him, coming out of the closet, still looking. Then grabs his suit from under the pile. “Found them,” He said proudly.

 

“Only twenty minutes, and you threw them by us ten minutes ago. When did you get an assistant?” I asked him.

 

“I borrowed him from Pop, since I wouldn’t really need one. Remember I told you I was bringing everything? Well, insurance requires someone travels with them,” Justin told us, taking off his pants, not even caring that Emmett is watching him.

 

“You know, if they had an ass like that when I was looking at getting a little lift and tuck...” Emmett said, tilting his head when Justin bent down to put them on. Yes, I growled. “Get over it. I’m sure all of Liberty Avenue looked when he and Ben hung out. Plus, cute as it is, you know my preference isn’t topping,” Emmett told me.

 

“Top. Bottom. It’s all fun, that’s one thing Brian and I have in common,” Justin said absently, looking for the towel he laid on the bed. “He even joked that it was surprising that I was the one pregnant,” He tells us, smiling when he sees the towel and walks past us and out the door.

 

Emmett stared at Justin as if he was some legendary creature; which Justin was, since he got me to want it with him. “Zipped. Even though I’m starting to hate both of you with the goldmine I have in my hands since you walked me into this house,” Emmett told me, running down the stairs past Justin.

 

“You really couldn’t resist could you?” I asked him, knowing he never just says anything.

 

“Just wanted to put it out there, like what you need to do, since I’m still not thrilled you didn’t tell me about my parents,” He told me.

 

“We need to talk about that,” I told him.

 

“Dad knocked up one of Molly’s friends, it was bound to happen,” He commented, shrugging.

 

“He wanted information on what you and Marshall do,” I told him.

 

“Brian, this isn’t something new, for the most part. What’s new is that for the first time he had someone he could try to use. Since anyone else I’ve been with barely made it a couple of days,” He told me.

 

“What got me past two days?” I asked.

 

“You didn’t use the information you had on my sister,” He told me, going into the kitchen.

 

“You knew?” I asked him. Stopping him when he tried to go out the back.

 

“The only time Molly gets angry about a guy is when they don’t worship at her feet. When she started acting like you were beneath her notice, I knew, because her ego can’t take everyone not wanting her,” He told me.

 

“Why didn’t you say anything?” I asked.

 

“I didn’t see any reason you had to like her. Just understand, she’s still my sister,” I told him.

 

“I can do that, but understand me, she won’t come here expecting things,” I told him.

 

“I’ll work on it. Can we just leave it at that?” He asked. “One question I forgot to ask you. Does Michael know about you and Ben? I just didn’t want to make the mistake of saying something if he doesn’t,” He asked me.

 

“How do you know about Ben and me?” I asked.

 

“Ben mentioned it when he was telling me some of his reasoning for the way he talked about you to me,” He told me. 

 

“We tricked at a white party, years before he met Michael. What the hell would that even have to do with anything?” I asked, confused.

 

“Believe it or not, Ben’s ego took a hit because you barely acted like you remembered him. I know you’ve never had that experience, but it probably sucks for guys like Ben, who men tend to stop and stare at,” He told me.

 

“I also didn’t think Ben really wanted to experience what it would be like if Mikey knew,” I answered.

 

“Did you remember him?” He asked.

 

“Sure. But you don’t tell your best friend that his new boyfriend was trick number whatever in a long line of people you fucked and forgot,” I told him.

 

“Why would it matter?” He asked.

 

“It might not, but why test it. Why are you bringing it up?” I asked him, thinking I need to ask Ben the same question.

 

“I didn’t want to accidentally say something if everyone didn’t know. I sort of like Michael,” I replied.

 

“You really don’t have to,” I told him, just seeing the nightmare of Michael and Ben thinking we should join in on scrabble night with Marve and Eddy.

 

“Worried he’ll tell me all your secrets?” Justin teased.

 

“You know all the ones that are important, and tell them too,” I cornered him.

 

“If you didn’t like it, then you shouldn’t agree to do it, over and over again,” I told him, nipping his chin.

 

“Dad, can you two do that later?” Gus complained.

 

“Duty calls. Later,” Justin told me, sliding under my arms to sit next to Emmett on the lounger.

 

It wasn’t cold enough in the pool, but it would do until later.

 

JUSTIN

 

Daphne called while Emmett and I were getting sun. Wait, let me correct that. Emmett got sun. What I got was an umbrella and told that too much sun wasn’t good for a baby. The Anal Avenger strikes again. I should have just handed the phone to Emmett, since they were doing all the talking.

 

“I wish someone had gotten video of Mama going to town on soon to be Baby Daddy’s car,” Emmett told her, after explaining everything that happened.

 

“It took him knocking someone up for her to finally see the shit he is?” Daphne asked.

 

“I guess you can’t pretend a kid out of existence. Not that Baby Daddy didn’t come up with a plan for that too. I guess whatever Mama has, scares the shit out of Baby Daddy,” Emmett told her.

 

“It’s call ‘iron clad prenup’,” Daphne tells him.

 

“Mom gets half of everything he owns, while he gets nothing from her. It’s the only thing my mom agreed with her parents on,” I added, just to feel included.

 

“Nothing like starting out knowing there’s an expiration date.” Emmett states, taking the phone when he was going in to get drinks.

 

Brian was listening by the edge of the pool, so he could keep an eye on Gus. “You and Daphne sound close,” He said.

 

“We are.” I answered.

 

“Just mentioning it, since you never mentioned her,” He said.

 

“She feels the same way you do about my family. It wasn’t like I needed to have both of you disapproving together about Molly,” I tell him, which would have bothered me before.

 

“If you want we can sign an agreement about everything.” He commented.

 

“You want to know what one of my first impressions of you was?” I asked. Brian grinned, but nodded instead of letting his ego come out of his mouth. “You don’t want anything handed to you, you want to be able to say you got it by earning it. You like the sense of accomplishment and are driven to achieve more. The only reason you would want an agreement is because even though you have never treated me as anything but equal, it bothers you that we might not be equal financially. We aren’t. But I had a head start, which one day you’ll exceed. So let's be clear about one thing. I wouldn’t be in a relationship with anyone if all that mattered to them was what was in my bank accounts. I watched that with my mother and father. It’s why, until you came along, I never stuck around. So are we clear, and no longer going to have this conversation?”

 

Brian blinked a few times, then licked his lips. “That was hot,” 

 

I guess it was clear. And the water sounded great, since my bathing suit wasn’t made for a hard-on any more than Brian’s was.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin never made it boring, just seemed to be willing to try anything to keep it new. When I walked into the bedroom it was completely dark after I closed the door. I stood still because I knew Justin was in here, since he told me to give him a few minutes before I came to bed. So I stayed with Gus until he was asleep, not just because Justin told me to. It was being able to be with Gus, not feeling like my time was limited. He didn’t need me to read him a bedtime story, just be there to talk about anything. Everyone thinks I’m going easy on Mel and Lindsay. Only Justin gets that it’s about Gus and wanting him to be happy. It also helps me to know my next child will get the things I’m only just now able to do with Gus. It’s something I want to discuss later with Justin. Helping Lindsay and Mel move back. 

 

“Move forward, and strip,” I hear Justin somewhere in front of me.

 

I started towards where I knew the bed was, but stopped when I felt Justin’s hand. “Take it off, Stud. After that, don’t move. I plan to take over,” He said, running his hands up my chest as I took off my shirt.

 

His hands followed mine as I took off my jeans, and took over getting them off my legs, then moved up my legs with his lips, licking and nipping each area on the way up. The dark made it even more exciting, because I couldn’t see what he was going to do. When he laved one of my balls, then took it in his mouth all I could do was feel. I anchored myself by putting my hands on his shoulders, because the dark left me adrift to just sensation. His wet mouth taking me in, while his hands ran up the backs of my thighs was the only thing in the world at this moment. He’d back off when I started thrusting into his mouth, and drag his tongue down the length of my cock, before taking me back in. His fingers were slick, preparing me by running around the rim before pressing in and pulling back out. I wanted to impale myself on those teasing fingers, knowing Justin would find where I needed him to go to make this even hotter. I practically screamed the moan when his fingers stopped playing, and one at a time opened me up. Those magic fingers rubbed the spot that only made me harder and ready to blow into the wet heat that was magic on my dick. I came in minutes, but he just kept going until I pushed him off. 

 

He led me to the bed, sitting me at the edge, leaving my legs hanging off and my feet on the floor. Then he pushed me to lay back and placed my feet on the edge of the bed, and didn’t leave me having to wonder what he was going to do next when I felt his hands separating my ass, and his tongue taking over where his fingers left off. His tongue left my ass, running up the underside of my dick until he reach the head, taking me in and as his fingers worked to make taking him easier. He kept going until I came again, knowing it would leave me boneless when he entered me. Something I still had a hard time with, since his ass wasn’t the only thing big about Justin. It wasn’t slow and sweet, but what he promised me for pissing him off. He let the prep do what he wasn’t going to do when he thrust all the way in without stopping. It could have been considered a punishing rhythm he set, but he also knew I enjoyed being handled this way by him. When he came, he kept going, this time trying to pull another orgasm out of me. When he didn’t get what he wanted, I felt the condom he put on me and then his tight channel surrounded me, riding me fast, and the sound of slapping skin filled the room. Until we both came, trying not to wake the whole house. Justin just fell next to me, letting me curl around him, not caring that the room smelled like a bathhouse, just tired and ready to sleep.

 

I woke up alone, like most mornings. Justin likely downstairs, since the smell indicated Emmett saw that food got Justin to show up. Gus was downstairs, ready to go spend time with his mothers before they were leaving for home. Emmett handed me coffee just the way I like, while Justin glared at the caffeine that I’d forbidden, not giving a shit what he tried to show me that said it wouldn’t hurt the baby. He left when someone was at our door, which had me glaring at Emmett.

 

“I didn’t tell anyone, so save that for someone who likely managed to find out where you were,” Emmett told me.

 

“Ted only told me when I threatened to sleep in the bed with him and Blake,” Mel told us, walking in alone.

 

“Where’s Mom?” Gus asked.

 

“Justin was nice enough to show her some of his work, while I did the right thing,” Mel told us.

 

“I wanted to see it anyway,” Emmett announced, carrying Justin’s plate with him.

 

“Gus, I need to say something about what’s been going on, and I’d like Brian to hear it too,” She tells him, stopping me from leaving.

 

“Okay, as long as I get to stay with Dad,” Gus told her.

 

“We agreed to that, so stop worrying about it,” I told Gus.

 

“Yes we did, and your father has never gone back on a promise he made. It’s why I think you need to know the truth. Not what your father told you to keep us from looking the way we made it look for him,” She told him.

 

“Mel…”

 

“No. You’ve been the one letting everyone believe it was you and not us that was the problem. I can’t be the mother I want to be to Gus by letting myself off for my part in it. Gus, you know Brian and I have problems getting along. It’s not because I hate Brian, but because I know there will be things he can do better for you than I will,” She told him.

 

“Spend some time with Justin and fashion won’t be a problem,” I joked, sort of.

 

“Brian, for once let me be the bad guy. Gus, Brian always wanted to spend time with you, it was me not willing to believe he had it in him to be the kind of father I thought he had to be to you. I made him jump through hoops just to see you, like I had any right to make him, just for loving you. I can’t tell you how sorry I am for doing that to you, but it’s hard for me to share you with anyone, sometimes even your mom. My tie to you isn’t the same as you have with Brian or Lindsay. It made me think I needed to show you and everyone else it didn’t matter to me that we didn’t have the same blood in our veins, that you were born because you were meant to be my son. It was selfish and wrong, because even if I let Brian in your life, you would have loved me anyway. Only, I don’t want you to ever doubt that anyone could love you. Brian loved you the minute I was giving him crap for wanting to touch you. I had no right to limit your time with him just because I didn’t want to share you,” Mel told him.

 

“It’s not like if I loved him, I wouldn’t still want you as my Mama,” Gus told her, showing us the man he’ll become.

 

“I know Baby, and that’s why I can’t let your dad give me the easy way out of this. If you need time, you have it. Just know I’ll be here and will always be your Mama,” She promised him.

 

“Are you and Mom really going to move back?” He asked.

 

“I think we got what we needed from being away, and can deal with what made us leave in the first place. It wasn’t like Canada really ever became a home to us,” She told him.

 

“When?” He asked, only caring they were planning to move here.

 

“We have the summer to get everything settled, then the four of us can look for a place that works for everyone,” She told him.

 

“Can I go tell Justin?” He asked us.

 

“Go ahead, I’m sure your mother is already telling them,” She told him.

 

Gus took off, excited. While I handed Mel a cup of coffee. I didn’t hate her, just didn’t really like what she did sometimes. I knew part of our problem was we both got each others backs up over Lindsay and the shit that went on when they lived here.

 

“I would have been fine with him not knowing,” I told her.

 

“It doesn’t make it right that you were still letting us slide on what we did. I was going to explain the money too; he has a right to know how big of a bitch I’ve been, not willing to listen to Lindsay when she tried to make me see what it was doing to him,” She told me.

 

“I don’t want him to know about that. You love him and it might change how he sees the love you’ve always given him,” I told her.

 

“He should know what you had to deal with,” She told me.

 

“It’s over, so let it go. Plus, I wanted to get your opinion on something that will likely kill you not to tell all the others,” I told her.

 

“You want my opinion?” She asked, not being able to contain the surprise that I was talking to her about something.

 

“You read things better than most people, excluding me. You knew Justin was waiting to see if you and Lindsay would do the right thing by Gus, before he stopped antagonizing you,” I told her.

 

“I also know letting someone else be guilty of something they didn’t do isn’t what I believe in. I couldn’t excuse myself anymore, because it was hurting him,” She told me.

 

“Get a therapist for those problems, I need your head in the game,” I told her, never getting the munchers need to spend years on something we solved.

 

“So talk,” She said.

 

“Follow me,” I told her, because everyone was likely to show up when I didn’t want them to hear what I wanted her opinion on. 

 

“How much property does this place have?” She said when we followed a trail into the woods.

 

“I’ll have to ask Justin, he bought it,” I told her.

 

“Lindsay said he was really a big deal, but shit, even you…” She stopped.

 

“No, even I don’t have what he’ll be bringing into this,” I told her, really okay with it.

 

“Is that what you want to talk about? Because it’s pretty normal in the families like Lindsay’s and Justin’s that they want guarantees made about what gets shared between couples,” She told me.

 

“Justin and I are good with what we’re doing. I really want to ask you why Ben would tell Justin that he and I tricked once,” I asked her. 

 

“I’m assuming long before Michael?” She asked.

 

“Michael wasn’t even a thought for Ben yet. I just don’t get why he would tell Justin about it,” I told her.

 

“Did it bother Justin, that his best friend and… the father of his baby once screwed around?” She asked, knowing how I never called anyone more than a trick.

 

“Justin really doesn’t see it as anything. We maintained an open relationship from the minute we started seeing each other until we established that we are partners. From what I could tell it was more Ben just telling him random gossip, not anything that would bother Justin or me,” I told her.

 

“Are you guys still going to be open?” She asked.

 

“If we want. Right now we don’t,” I answered.

 

“Butt out. I get it. So you’re trying to figure out why Ben would bring it up?” She asked.

 

“It doesn’t make any sense when all it could do was cause problems. Not for Justin and me, but maybe he didn’t realize that,” I said.

 

“Why not go ask Ben?” She asked.

 

“I plan to, but you deal with him more than I do. Plus you look for reasons people are guilty or not of what they do. I just assume guilt,” I explained.

 

“Why did he tell Justin he brought it up?” She asked, getting into lawyer mode.

 

“I hurt Ben’s little feelings by not drooling that I got the chance to see him naked, is what it sounded like,” I answered.

 

“You don’t believe him?” She asked.

 

“When we met he barely bothered to act like we knew each other. Guys that I’ve had in the past tend to try to get all my attention,” I told her, smirking.

 

“I’m guessing here. So keep that in mind. It comes from Michael talking to Lindsay about the conversation Michael and Justin had yesterday. Ben really only has Justin to talk to about the people in his life and what bothers him. It’s like me, when I was upset about you, I really could only go to Ted. When Ted started working for you, it was harder to say some of the things because you and he became better friends than you were before. I could see Ben worrying about where that leaves him, now that you and Justin are together, since a lot of his problems were about you and Michael,” She told me.

 

“It still doesn’t make sense to tell Justin something that, if he was different, would bother him,” I told her.

 

“But now, they have a secret that you never shared with anyone, not even Michael. Something he didn’t think Justin would ask you about, and it made their friendship still intact in the way Ben wants it. It could also just be exactly what Ben said is why he talked about you too,” She tells me.

 

“Why would it matter to him that I was in Justin’s life? It’s not like Justin can’t still be friends with him,” I asked her.

 

“Maybe underneath all the Zen, Ben hates sharing, the way I did,” She answered.

 

“Then he can hate me all he wants, because Justin belongs to me,” I told her.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Normally I don’t back down when I don’t like things, but Mel seemed to understand stepping into my house was only done if when she left Brian was happy with me letting her in. Lindsay asked to see my work, and I could tell it was because Mel was about to eat crow in front of her son and Brian. She followed me up to my pristine studio, or the studio I haven’t had a chance to bring my chaos into. I started to wonder if maybe I should get an assistant, since I tend to lose everything. 

 

“Did you choose the room because of the light?” Lindsay asked, looking at the floor to ceiling windows.

 

“I hadn’t been here until Brian and I got here. I just told the person looking for me what I needed. Brian and Emmett were the ones who decided what the room was going to be used for,” I told her.

 

“We just thought this room screamed studio when we walked it together,” Emmett told us.

 

“I didn’t even tell him I wanted a studio,” I told Emmett.

 

“But you worked for him, and he knew you were an artist. The first time he asked about you, Ben told him. I guess he figured this was the kind of studio an artist would want.” Emmett told me.

 

“When we were in college together I know I used to tell him the kind of fantasy studio I dreamed of.” Lindsay told me, smiling at what Brian did.

 

“I like the space, not something I usually care about. Most of the time when I do start creating I just do it wherever I am,” I told her.

 

“Big Bad was probably hoping you would want this to be where you are,” Emmett told me, putting my plate on the desk.

 

“He’s been worried about me not being able to stay in one place,” I said.

 

“Well, Pittsburgh really isn’t Italy or any other place you had him running to see you,” he said, while Lindsay and I ate the pile of bacon together.

 

“I traveled for my job, not because I didn’t like being in one place,” I explained.

 

“Which had to inspire some of what we’re seeing,” Lindsay said, walking around looking at the pieces hung.

 

“Most of them were done in Philly. They were things I remembered and wanted to paint,” I told her, as she comes to the ones of Brian.

 

“Yep, even when he annoys me, slap some duct tape over the mouth and it’s inspiring,” Emmett told me.

 

“Are you going to show these?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Those are ones that I did for me. I don’t share private memories,” I told her.

 

“If you do want to show, my old boss would love to do it,” Lindsay commented.

 

“I’ll think about it, but right now I’ll be busy working with Brian,” I said, thinking he would need the help if he wanted to spend more time home with Gus.

 

I left them to look around when the front door bell rang a couple of times. Gus came flying past me, stopping to tell me his moms were moving back, and then ran in to announce it again. When the banging started I hurried down the stairs to see why no one was answering, but didn’t see Brian or Mel in the kitchen. And I was happy about that when I opened the door to my sister, pissed. Instead of letting her in, I went out on the porch and closed the door.

 

“I can’t believe you!” She exploded.

 

“I’m sure you can’t, but at least tell me what you can’t believe first.” I asked.

 

“You gave Mom the shit about Dad, which I TOLD you not to do,” She spat at me.

 

“I didn’t have to. Apparently one of your little model buddies trusted Dad’s usual line that he’s fixed, and is on her way here to do what even I had probably wouldn’t have,” I informed her.

 

“She better not be saying it’s Dad’s. Everyone knows what a slut she is,” Molly said, sounding like our father. 

 

“Either way, he finally found the one thing Mom wouldn’t overlook. So storming over here and blaming me won’t change it,” I told her.

 

“Oh no, of course not, you’re too busy playing happy life with that asshole. Better get checked out for anything else he might have left you, since he was screwing around with other people the whole time you two were together,” She announced.

 

“So was I. Which was our business and not yours, Dad’s, or anyone else’s that you told. And all because he didn’t want to fuck you!” I yelled, not liking exactly what really bothered her. “I spent my life trying to help you, and you spent your life taking whatever you wanted. You trying to sleep with Brian wasn’t something I should have overlooked, but I did because it was either that or see what a shitty person you turned out to be,”

 

“What’s the big fucking deal? If he took me up on it, than it would have been a waste of your time to keep him around,” She answered. As if it made what she did okay.

 

“The big fucking deal was I actually fucking LOVE HIM!” I yelled, to get my point across.

 

“No. No. NO. You can’t… not him, anyone else but him,” She mumbled, confusing me.

 

“Why would that be a problem for you? Was it that you didn’t like that I could see through what you were doing to Justin? Or maybe it’s the fact Cinderella was going to leave you to figure out your own life, since our life together would be more important to him?” Brian asked, standing by the side of the house.

 

“He hates me, can’t you see that?” Molly shouted at me, ignoring Brian.

 

“And Justin loves me. Is that a problem for you, princess?” Brian asked, making me groan that he had to hear me say it for the first time when I was pissed at my sister. “Nice to know, by the way. Love you too. I’ll leave you to figure out what to do with her. I have other fish to flame broil,” Brian said to me, walking up and kissing me before leaving me with my sister.

 

She waited until he drove off, and everyone but Emmett walked out the front door. I really didn’t know why she stayed, since as far as I was concerned, she’d said enough.

 

“You need to fix things for Dad,” She ordered me.

 

“No, I really don’t. Right now I don’t understand why you’re defending him. Even if I lost my mind, which apparently when it came to trying to help you, I did. I can’t change the fact that he fucked one of your friends, and I agree with Mom finally getting a clue about him,” I told her.

 

“If Mom leaves him, he told me I have to start modeling again, or help the way you wouldn’t,” She said, in the little girl voice that I can now see was her way of getting me to do what she wanted.

 

“You’re eighteen. Which means he can’t make you do anything. Don’t even try and say that he controls your money, because I got that taken care of when you asked me. In truth, it’s time for you to start taking responsibility for your own life, something I can’t do for you anymore. My life has to be me taking care of my responsibilities,” I told her.

 

“That’s why I hate him. I knew the minute you introduced us, he’d take my place,” She snapped, running to her car.

 

BRIAN

 

As I drove to the campus to talk to Ben, I let it sink in that Justin admitted he loved me. He never said it to me, and even the way he said it to Molly didn’t change that he did say it. While I was putting it all out there for Molly, I didn’t want to leave without him knowing it was returned. It didn’t even bother me to say it, since I knew it the day he was trying to tell me about the baby.

 

Mel and I were walking back when we heard the yelling out front, she told me to let her know if what she said helped me, but wisely left what was going on out front to me. It wasn’t like I really needed Mel’s advice, but I wanted to start working towards us getting along, for Gus’s sake. It couldn’t have been easy for her to watch Lindsay and me talk about things, watching but not being included. I get that, because being with Justin, I don’t want there to be things he confides in someone other than me. I want him to confide in me, which he’s starting to, but still holding things in. Which I understand, because I do it too. 

 

Ben was sitting at his desk marking papers when I walked in and sat down. He looked up, not really expecting to see me. 

 

“What brings you here?” He asked.

 

“We need to clear the air, since you felt the need to tell Justin about us,” I told him.

 

“He should know, it felt like I was hiding something from him,” He said, like he wasn’t hiding it from Mikey.

 

“Justin didn’t really think it was, since it has nothing to do with him. My problem is why tell him about something that in truth I normally forgot happened?” I asked, watching to see how he reacted to it. And he flinched. “And if it bothers you so much, why didn’t you tell Mikey, instead of Justin?” I asked.

 

“I can’t tell Michael. Do you know what it would do to us if he knew? He’d start acting like he used to,” He told me, avoiding why he told Justin.

 

“Justin told me, because he didn’t want to say something in front of Michael. Now, since I told you why Justin told me, tell me why you told Justin,” I asked him.

 

“I didn’t like the way you didn’t listen to me about him. He needs someone to want only him, not half of Pittsburgh. I know you and he agreed to an open relationship, but he’ll be the one sitting at home with the kid while you do what you do. You get to have it all, while Michael and I can’t, because I fucked up my life before him. Michael settled for having a baby with Mel because we can’t, and now he’s going to have to watch you have one more thing I can’t give him,” Ben told me.

 

“So, telling Justin was your way of getting back at me for using fucking condoms?” I asked him.

 

“Which you didn’t with Justin, since he’s pregnant. You risked my best friend’s life, so yes, I told him. I was positive when we had sex!” Ben told me.

 

“Justin and I used condoms, Ben. And I knew I was clean the one time we forgot. I get tested regularly because of people like you, who didn’t bother to mention to me that you were positive. I wouldn’t have put Justin at risk the way your ex did to you. I won’t apologize because you took the risks that led to what your life is like. Telling Justin wasn’t going to change that he’s with me, or that Mikey loved you enough to accept the limitations your life put on his. He found a way to have the things he wanted to be with you, because he loves you. I accepted that one day my best friend might have to tell me a condom broke, never once doing anything to undermine your relationship with Michael. But keep screwing with mine, and the game changes,” I warned him.

 

“I shouldn’t have said anything. It’s just, you don’t understand what it’s like to have no one I could tell the things to that I used to be able to tell Justin,” He told me.

 

“Why not tell Mikey? You married him. You have to tell your partner the truth, even if it’s not something that makes you sound all Zen Ben,” I told him.

 

“Would you tell Justin?” He asked.

 

“Yes, but then I’m not jealous of you,” I told him, leaving.

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Deb was home when I stopped by to see her. One of the things she was going to understand was that until Justin wanted his mother in his life, she needed to leave it alone. She didn’t always get that sometimes the things parents did weren’t easily forgiven. She spent years trying to help me with mine. Deb knew what it was like to lose your family, and thought she was helping. Carl was coming out of the house and heading to work when I got there, and let me in on his way out. Deb was in the kitchen as usual, making things to store for anyone who showed up. 

 

“Justin seemed to like my manicotti, so I have some for you to take with you when you leave. What brings you by?” Deb asked me.

 

“I just wanted to talk to you about Justin’s family,” I answered.

 

“Honey, after hearing about them from Jen, it’s no wonder Justin traveled as much as he did. Jen is really worried about how he’s going to deal with a baby. She said he’s been pretty much partying his life away. Which now that you and he are going to have a baby, it’s time for both of you to settle down,” Deb told me.

 

“We’re working on it. But it’s going to be the way we want it to be, not what everyone else thinks is right,” I told her.

 

“We should help him and his mother find a way to make up too. She knows she should have been there for him, but…”

 

I interrupted before she could start telling me what she expected me to do to help. “It’s up to him what he wants to do about the situation. Don’t bring her to our house unless Justin agrees to it. All you’ll accomplish is pissing him off. He’s not like the rest of us, willing to do something just because you ask, and what Jen says doesn’t mean we know all the reasons he isn’t willing to talk to her right now. Forcing the issue will just get his back up,” I warned her.

 

“I noticed at dinner that he wasn't backing down from Mel and Lindsay,” She told me.

 

“You’ll notice it more towards you too, if you bulldoze your way around what he wants,” I told her.

 

“In other words, stay out of it?” She asked, a little irritated, since she already knew the answer.

 

“Be friends with her if you want, but just don’t ‘accidentally’ bring her around, thinking Justin will be thrilled to see her,” I told her.

 

“You act like he’s as stubborn as you are, but from what Ben says, Justin just needs help seeing things,” She told me, which didn’t really help Ben’s case with me.

 

“Ben obviously doesn’t know the Justin I’ve spent the last year with, which means, listen to me and let Justin figure this out on his own,” I warned her.

 

“I’m worried about what going to happen when the baby is born. Jen and Ben both told me that Justin hasn’t been doing more than partying away the last few years. Babies are a big responsibility, one that neither of you have ever had. Before you say anything... I know it wasn’t your fault what went on, but still, there’s a lot more to raising a baby than spending time with them. It’s why we should help Jen and Justin find a way to mend their relationship. You both are going to need us to help,” She told me.

 

“Both of us will learn, just like all parents do. And regardless of what everyone told you, Justin isn’t some party boy heir. He just let the people who he didn’t really care about think that about him,” I told her.

 

The door opened and Michael came in, looking distracted. Which changed when he saw me sitting at the table.

 

“Hey, I was hoping to run into you. I thought we could all go out tonight, since we should all get to know Justin,” Mikey said, sitting down.

 

“I’ll ask if he wants to go out tonight,” I told him.

 

“Maybe we can give Ben and Justin a chance to talk too. Hunter already said he’ll watch Gus and Jenny for us,” Mikey offered, thinking that’s the only reason we might not come out.

 

“I think Ben’s been doing enough talking to Justin,” I told him.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“Just that Ben has you to talk to, just like Justin has me. I’ll call you if we decided to come tonight. That doesn’t mean calling repeatedly until we say yes, understood?” I asked him, leaving to check how Justin and Molly’s conversation went.

 

JUSTIN

 

Emmett sat around while I worked out some of my anger about Molly on canvas. He was being too quiet, which I hate, because I need people talking to me when I’m working. It was the reason Cynthia and I became friends, I couldn’t sit in an office, creating, without someone to talk to.

 

“Have you ever been in love?” I asked.

 

“I thought I was. But unfortunately, like all my relationships, the other person wasn’t looking for what I was.” He answered.

 

“It took me a while to figure out that I loved Brian. At first I didn’t see us as being anything long term. It was just, instead of forgetting about him, I kept calling and he kept showing up. Only, I started to realize I wanted him around, but neither one of us were indicating we wanted something permanent, just doing what we’d been doing for the last year. We probably still would be if I hadn’t gotten pregnant. But then we talked, and we were both ready for the same thing at the same time, so here I am,” I told him.

 

“Baby, if Brian wasn’t serious about you, he wouldn’t have shown up. With you, he was different. Before, we would have heard about all his escapades. But, with you, he never said a word about all the fabulous places he was going. Blake and I tried to get out of Teddy where Brian was off to, but Teddy held firm, no matter what Blake tried,” He told me. He was so not getting what I was trying to lead him into talking about.

 

“I really don’t like my life broadcast, and Brian respected me by not talking about us. I know you’ve asked about my career as an artist, and I am famous in the art circles. In New York, I really have to keep a low profile or it’s news. Reporters can take something innocent, like having lunch with a friend, and blow it up into something it’s not. Which makes relationships harder if the other person believes what they’re reading,” I told him, hoping I didn’t just overplay trying to find out about Drew.

 

“Tell me about it. I was seeing a guy who I thought was the guy who I want to spend my life with, only he was deep in the closet, and wanted me to join him. Which I did for a while, but I got away from that bullshit years ago and refused to go back. Only, he outed himself, and for a while I thought we were on the same page,” He told me.

 

“What happened?” I asked, finally getting somewhere.

 

“He wasn’t ready to be with just me. Everything was new. The closet door opened and he saw the world he’d been hiding from. I saw him with another guy, knowing he was just at the beginning, while I was already past where he was. I told him he needed time to see what it was like out there, and let him go,” He told me.

 

“That was really kind of selfish, and not, at the same time,” I told him.

 

“He wanted other men, and I’m just not built to deal with it,” He told me, getting defensive.

 

“Yeah, but you were kind of his teacher, you know. He was out, and guys were throwing themselves at him. Of course he’s going to respond, but he didn’t ruin his career for them, he did it for you,” I told him.

 

“You heard about me and Drew?” He asked.

 

“Deb mentioned it while we were on our way to see Brian. She’s worried about you, and I guess when she worries, everyone else is supposed to join in,” I told him.

 

“Drew and I were different, he never called me again after I told him it was over. You and Brian were still seeing each other, even when you didn’t know what you wanted,” He commented.

 

“Why would he call you when you ended it? I mean, if Brian said bounce, then I’d bounce. You don’t chase after someone when they pretty much tell you they don’t want you,” I told him.

 

“I never said I didn’t want him, just that we weren’t in the same place,” He told me.

 

“Which, unless he could read your mind, sounded like you didn’t see him in your life,” I responded.

 

“How many relationships have you had?” He asked.

 

“The one I’m in now. But until Brian, no one made me want to try one,” I answered.

 

“What made him different?” He asked.

 

“He let me be me, and trusted me when he could have questioned being the father when I told him I was pregnant. It wasn’t like I would have been upset if he asked how I knew it was his, but he didn’t, just accepted that I wouldn’t lie to him about it. I like that he didn’t judge what he thought he knew about me. And even when he knew what my sister is like, he didn’t use it to score any points, the way my sister does,” I told him.

 

“Ben made it sound like you two were really close, but that’s not what it seemed like when she was here,” He commented.

 

“Ben really only knows what little I’ve told him about me,” I answered.

 

“You know he acts like you two were the new version of the ‘Brian and Mikey’ show,” He commented.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I consider him a close friend. But I didn’t tell him everything, the way he made it sound like Michael did with Brian. There was also the problem that Ben didn’t seem to have much good to say about Brian. It’s just, the Brian I was getting to know wasn’t the guy Ben described. Michael made it sound like they never really warmed up to each other,” I told him.

 

“It sometimes seems like Ben puts a distance between us and him, but with Brian, it’s like a canyon; one neither of them really cares to do anything about. Thinking back to when you worked here, it wasn’t like there was any reason to keep it from Brian that you two were friends, but Ben never brought you around us. He knew you worked for Brian, so why keep you away from the rest of us?” He asked.

 

“He made it sound like you guys would be bored with us. We tend to debate about what he’s teaching, and apparently all you guys debated about was what time to meet at a bar and a club. Plus, I knew I wasn’t really in Michael’s good books for taking up Ben’s time, so he and I just hung out together instead,” I told him.

 

“Michael seemed to get over it, but yeah, he spazzed about it every time Ben told him he had other plans. Only, I saw you two together and there was nothing Michael should have been worried about.” He told me.

 

“Why he was worried didn’t make much sense to me. If in the years we knew each other before, nothing happened, then there was just nothing there between us. With Brian, I knew I wanted him the first time he stood over me, yelling to get his point across.” I admitted.

 

“Okay, I’m curious. How did him jumping all over you, turn into you wanting him?” He asked.

 

“While he was yelling, all I could think about was how to help him get rid of the excess energy it took to yell. Even when it irritated him that I wouldn’t bow down to his orders, I also knew it excited him to have someone stand up to him. Which practically poked me in the eye while he was yelling,” I joked.

 

“Something no one does when it comes to him,” He told me.

 

“Or for him, I learned,” I told him.

 

“It’s just the way Brian prefers it.” He told me.

 

“Or everyone just got used to not rocking the boat, because it’s easier and less scary than finding out the relationship you could have had with him, might be better if you did,” I told him.

 

“How did you turn that around on me?” Emmett asked, catching on.

 

“I just don’t get why you think Drew has to make all the moves, when you were the one who walked away,” I commented.

 

“Why do you care about that?” He asked. “It’s not like you know him, or even what we were like when we were together,”

 

“Because I was pushing Brian away, believing the wrong things. If you don’t want to see Drew, fine, then you live your life. But, from what I see, you aren’t living your life,” I told him.

 

“It’s just the idea that what we had didn’t stop him from looking at other men.” He told me.

 

“It didn’t mean he loved them, since he never outed himself, until you,” I told him.

 

“You never loved anyone until Brian, because you never stayed in one place until him,” He replied.

 

“Now I just have to tell him without it sounding like I only said it because I was pissed,” I grumbled, while he laughed.

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight

MEL

 

Spending the day with Gus, who was no longer pissed at the world, really opened my eyes. He took what he heard from me and made the extra effort to show me I was just as important to him. I thought about what Brian said and knew he was right, like always. Telling Gus the about the money wasn’t something he needed to know. It made me really have to reevaluate the Brian that my mind had allowed me to see him as. It also told me that Ben needed to get with the program. It’s weird, because I always saw Ben and Brian as strong and self assured, only for some reason, Justin was the one person who could bring both of these men to their knees. Hopefully, Justin would give us a chance to know him now. For the first time in my life, I found myself floundering at every passive aggressive remark Justin made. Lindsay really had nothing on Justin in that department. It made me like Justin more, because he stuck to his convictions, not giving in the way Lindsay would. 

 

We stopped at Michael and Ben’s house to drop off Jenny, before going to drop off Gus. Ben was watching Gus as if he was trying to figure out who the happy kid we brought with us was. When Michael and Lindsay went to put away Jenny’s things, Gus said he’d keep an eye on Jenny and dragged her outside to the swingset Michael bought for her visits. It gave me a chance to talk to Ben alone. As strange as it sounded, even to me, I wanted to see if I could help Brian.

 

“It’s hard to believe he’s smiling again,” I told Ben.

 

“After what we found out, I understand now what was going on. You’re lucky Brian didn’t use it against you,” He told me.

 

“He never would, it’s something both Lindsay and I knew. Which made what we were doing even worse, when I think about it. Only, in true Brian Kinney fashion, he isn’t willing to let Gus suffer for our mistakes. Lindsay and I both know exactly how lucky it makes us, and are planning to do what we can to make sure Brian and Gus have what they both want,” I told him.

 

“Partial custody?” He asked.

 

“He isn’t asking for anything we don’t do for Jenny. And nothing he shouldn’t have had, since he willingly supported Gus, never making us ask for anything. Instead, we made it harder for Gus to see him, and Brian still helped us when he could have refused. I talked to him about Justin’s baby, and all I saw was the same look in his eyes as when he first laid eyes on Gus. Something I tried to ignore when Gus was born. I guess something about Justin brings out another side of Brian,” I told him.

 

“Justin does that to people,” Ben commented.

 

“I guess I’ll find out. Hopefully he’ll forgive us for what we did to Brian. I’m almost jealous of the trust the two of them have in each other. They’ve been together a year and seem more in tune with each other than the rest of us who’ve been together a hell of a lot longer,” I told him.

 

“They barely know each other right now. I doubt they’d be moving in together if Justin hadn’t gotten pregnant,” He commented, getting up and walking out the front door.

 

I followed him, when he seemed to think he could get away after making it sound like the baby was the only reason the two of them were together. “Even if the pregnancy was the reason they decided to go public, as in, with the family, I don’t think it was the only reason,” I told him when he kept walking down the sidewalk.

 

“They’re too alike to be able to make it work. Justin’s never wanted to be tied down, the same way Brian didn’t stop tricking in the last year,” He told me.

 

“Lindsay asked Justin about that, and from what it sounds like, it works for them. Who are we to judge? Lindsay and I broke up over people neither of us loved or wanted again, and if we had been able to see it the way Brian and Justin do or did, it would have saved us from half the problems we had,” I told him.

 

“You really think the two of them are going to settle down? Justin will get bored, and eventually so will Brian, then guess what, Michael will run off because his best friend needs him again,” Ben complained.

 

“Wow. You could give Brian a run for his money in knowing how to spin something so your audience believes your bullshit,” I answered.

 

“What are you talking about?” He said, finally stopping the brutal pace that had me practically running after him.

 

“Just like what you said to Justin about Brian didn’t sound like it had anything to do with Michael. I’m sure if I ask Brian, it would likely be you using Michael as your reason, the way you’re doing now,” I told him.

 

“So they told you about Brian and me. Shit Mel, we can’t tell Michael,” He pleaded with me.

 

“It’s not my business to tell Michael anything. The same way it was none of yours and Michael’s business what was happening with me and Lindsay. Although, if you wanted to keep your secret, why tell Justin? Were you hoping Justin would end up saying something?” I asked. Because I was with Brian on this- why bring up something that meant nothing anymore.

 

Ben didn’t answer me, but started back towards the house.

 

 “It won’t work anymore. Brian will no longer jump in to protect Michael the way he used to. He won’t alienate Justin for Michael,” I told him, putting it together in my head.

 

“I found that out when Brian told me what would happen if I kept trying to screw up his relationship with Justin,” He told me.

 

“What did he tell you would happen?” I asked.

 

“He said he’d return the favor,” He answered.

 

“In the end, you would be dealing with Michael, and Brian would still be with Justin. A win-win for Brian,” I told him, going in to get Lindsay and Gus.

 

BRIAN

 

Emmett was gone when I got back to the house. I went to go see what Justin was up to; hearing the shower running in the bedroom made it easier to find Justin. I laid on the bed waiting for Justin to come out, trying to ignore the mess that seemed to come with Justin. He came out rubbing his hair, smiling when he saw me on the bed. I did absolutely nothing to stop him from opening up my zipper, and was willing to help him take off my pants. But it seemed Justin was more interested in the cock that bounced out, happy to see him, than in getting me naked.

 

I laid back and let Justin’s mouth work it’s magic. It was something that made the blowjobs I was still allowing almost a waste of time. When I was getting a blowjob from someone other than Justin there were things that were missing; things that only Justin was allowed to do. Which made things awkward, because I would imagine Justin in my head, and be disappointed when they just didn’t measure up to him. 

 

Justin pulled back when I was about to feed him a protein filled dinner. Tonight it seemed Justin wanted me filling him up. He put the condom on, then reached behind himself, only stopping when I grabbed the lube and slicked up my fingers. I thought he would get rid of my pants, but he didn’t seem to care I was dressed while he wasn’t. I swirled my finger around his rim, slowly teasing his hole by barely breaching him with my middle finger. Justin tried to impale himself each time my finger went in, only to whimper when I’d move my fingers back. I stopped when I could tell he was debating kicking my ass, or just leaping on my dick, not giving a shit how much it hurt without the prep. I almost came just watching him ride my finger, and pulled out. Justin didn’t waste any time sliding down my cock, making us both moan as I felt his ass squeeze around me. He leaned forward over me, sucking my tongue in his mouth as I held him, still fucking up into him. I didn’t slow down even as he came, just kept going to ring a second orgasm out of him. I held back until I felt him tighten around me again, then let go as he stroked himself to completion. 

 

Sitting back, Justin gave me an odd look, but at that point I was too blissed out to care about anything. 

 

“Um, is that a vibrator in your pocket?” He asked, looking down under his ass cheek. I reached under him, which caused him to move enough for me to slip out of him. Looking at my phone, I saw that Michael had messaged twice, both times when Justin and I were too busy to pay attention to my phone vibrating.

 

“Michael,” I told him.

 

“What does he want?” Justin asked, kissing down my chest.

 

“To go out tonight. I told him we weren’t sure,” I told him.

 

“We have Gus,” Justin told me.

 

“Hunter offered to watch him. We don’t have to go,” I told him.

 

“I wouldn’t mind dancing with you. Is there some reason you don’t want to go?” He asked me.

 

“I wanted to talk to you about how it went with Molly,” I told him, avoiding answering him.

 

“She still wants me to be at her beck and call, which I can’t. So she’s off, likely hoping to figure out a way to break us up. Which she doesn’t have the ability to do. So why don’t you want to go tonight?” He asked, not letting me out of telling him.

 

“I’m really not happy with your best friend right now, and going out means my best friend brings him,” I answered.

 

“Then ignore him. It’s not like I expect you to be friends with people because I am. If Ben can’t figure out that I don’t give a shit how he feels about you, than he accepts what little of my life he can be in,” He told me.

 

“You don’t expect me to at least try with Ben?” I asked.

 

“From what I can see, he hasn’t tried with any of you guys,” He replied.

 

“But you are,” I mentioned.

 

“I figured since we were both want this to work, it would only be harder if I didn’t give the people in your life a chance,” He answered.

 

“Yet you don’t expect me to do the same for you?” I asked.

 

“You like my grandparents. And right now, other than Daphne, they’re really it in my life. I could invite some people here, but they really are just a superficial part of my life. I don’t really make friends very easily,” He said, not sounding like it bothered him that much.

 

“Let’s hope the guys at the bar don’t think you should start now,” I growled a bit.

 

JUSTIN

 

When Brian and I got to Woody’s, every eye hit Brian, and he ignored it. It wasn’t like this didn’t happen wherever we went, but tonight, instead of having fun with it, he seemed more irritated by it. Michael dragged him off to the pool tables, not even trying to hide that he was giving me and Ben a chance to talk. The rest of the guys floated around, eventually staying with Michael and Brian. 

 

I barely sat down before Ben started in on me for telling Brian. “Why did you tell him you knew?” He asked.

 

“When Michael and I were hanging out, it seemed like he didn’t know. I didn’t want to cause problems between you two, so I asked Brian, to make sure it didn’t,” I told him.

 

“Brian came to see me and pretty much told me to butt out of your life,” He complained.

 

“My life, or my relationship with him?” I asked, not buying it.

 

“He implied your relationship,” He admitted.

 

“Then he meant relationship. Which I agree with, since my relationship with Brian really has nothing to do with my friendship with you,” I told him.

 

“Mel sort of made that point pretty clear to me today,” He told me, winning Mel points with me.

 

“Ben, you and I have never been more than friends, and I miss the guy you were until you found out about Brian and me,” I told him.

 

“It just feels like I lost the friends we were, to Brian, and I don’t like the way it makes me sound. It’s not like he’s done anything but try to make my life easier with Michael,” He told me.

 

“Then why do you feel like you have to drag him down in front of everyone?” I asked.

 

“I didn’t see it that way. Nothing I told you about him wasn’t the truth,” He defends himself.

 

“You never bothered to get to know him or any of the other guys. I know what Paul’s friends did to you after your breakup was bullshit, but taking it out on Michael’s friends isn’t really fair. It’s like you don’t see you and Michael making it,” I told him.

 

“Michael had to give up a lot to be with me,” He told me.

 

“Does he complain about it?” I asked.

 

“No. But eventually he’s going to see what you and Brian are able to have and we won’t, because of my belief that my partner was faithful to me,” He told me.

 

“So I guess you finally let HIV beat you. I really thought you were stronger than that. I guess Michael is the stronger one between the two of you, because he married the man he loves,” I told him.

 

“What’s wrong with me, why can’t I be happy? I spent years dealing with Michael’s obsession with Brian, which he managed to let go of, yet it’s like I still want there to be problems between us,” He commented.

 

“Why? So if he leaves you, it makes it easier?” I asked.

 

“If he left me, nothing would be easier. I really love him,” Ben admitted.

 

“Then stop trying to cause reasons for you two to have problems,” I told him, thinking I’m sort of getting the hang of relationships.

 

“You don’t see that as a problem?” He asked me, tilting his head at a guy flirting with Brian.

 

“Nope,” I tell him, as Brian scowls at the guy when he whispers something in Brian’s ear.

 

“So, maybe we should skip Babylon tonight,” Michael commented, after walking away from whatever is going on with Brian and the guy.

 

“What’s the problem?” Ben asked him.

 

“Apparently there’s a bet about who can convince Brian to share his new toy,” Michael tells us, looking at me.

 

“Shit, let’s go show them the toy,” I commented, getting up and dragging Michael behind me.

 

“Justin, he’s really pissed about it,” Michael said, running to keep up with me

 

“He’ll get over it when I disappoint the masses,” I told him, being stopped when we got in front of Babylon.

 

“Members only,” The guard dog at the door told me.

 

“Brent, trust me, Brian has no problem with Justin being let in,” Michael told him, as Brian catches up to us, along with the rest of the gang.

 

“I want you to tell the fuckers Justin is off limits,” Brian told him, pulling me in behind him.

 

“You know, it sounded like fun to watch each of them fail tonight,” I complain, when he sits me at the bar and stands behind me.

 

“What’s your poison?” The bartender asked, leaning over and flirting, until he looks behind me.

 

“Water and juice only, if he tries to convince you he wants coffee, the answer is no,” Brian warned him.

 

“Yes, Mr Kinney,” The bartender said, straightening to attention.

 

“Seriously, calm down, Caveman,” I told him, really not used to him like this.

 

He caged me into the bar, leaning down kissing my neck, so I moved to give him all the access he wanted. Brian mauled me in front of everyone, which was pretty normal when we were out and about. It was hard to pay attention to everyone else, but I managed. Each guy who tried to approach us, dealt with the gang, and left disappointed when they didn’t manage to get our attention. Eventually Brian let me go and dance with Emmett, Blake, and Michael, who took over discouraging anyone from getting too close. Brian took over dancing with me, which left us in our own world, not paying attention to anything around us. When we got back to the bar Emmett handed me a water, laughing about something.

 

“Too bad Brian doesn’t charge for access to the backroom, he’d make a killing after they all watched you two dance,” He said, giggling.

 

“Hell, even I almost dragged Ben back there,” Michael told us, rubbing all over Ben.

 

“Why almost?” Ben whispers loud enough for all of us to hear, then takes Michael with him.

 

“Ted and I are going home,” Blake ordered, eyeing Ted, making sure he knew exactly why.

 

“I’m going to see if I can get lucky,” Emmett told us, waving and walking away.

 

“Backroom or home?” Brian asked.

 

“Home. I really like Michael and Ben, just don’t want to see it,” I told him.

 

“When we get home, your ass is mine,” He clarified.

 

“But you love it when I own yours,” I whispered, and got my ass dragged out the door.

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin was pacing around the room, looking flabbergasted at what his mother showed up to tell us. I was just wondering why she thought she was welcome in our house. Although, reading the article, that she got before it was published, was enough to get me to let her in the door. The model Craig knocked up suddenly changed her story, saying it was Justin’s baby. It went into detail about how Justin tossed her aside, telling her to get rid of it, and how Craig and Molly Taylor were helping her through everything. Craig sounded like a saint. Saying he was going to make Justin do the right thing by the girl. Which, reading between the lines, meant he was seeing it as a way to recoup what he was going to lose in the divorce, since Justin’s portfolio even made my eyes widen. It wasn’t until I read Molly’s comments, when asked about the fact that Justin was gay and was open about it, that Molly stated that he didn’t have a problem sleeping with a friend of theirs, who was a woman.

 

Everyone in the room waited until I finished reading the article to say anything. Deb stood there, looking guilty, but in this case I could excuse why she brought Jen over here. Ted on the other hand, made a point of staying on the other side of the room. Since he and Blake both knew I didn’t want everyone knowing where we lived. Ben tried to talk to Justin, then Michael tried, but they didn’t get that when he was angry, it was better to stay away until he got over it. 

 

“Justin, I know you asked me to wait until you called, but we need to do damage control,” Jen told him.

 

“If I needed damage control, I would have asked Brian,” Justin told her, still pacing.

 

“It’s not like he can’t prove it isn’t his, right?” Mikey asked us, sitting next to me.

 

“Depends on who Craig could pay off,” I told him.

 

“I don’t get why their trying to say it’s Justin’s kid?” Mikey asked.

 

“Because in our world, it’s all about making the problems disappear. Justin’s gay. Well why not use it to help, and show everyone the Taylor’s aren’t the bigots they hide behind closed doors. Once again, Craig is trying to use Justin to benefit his standing,” Jen told him.

 

“How did they get the girl to agree?” Ted asked, thinking he’s safe for right now.

 

“Molly can make anything sound like she’s helping you, but in the end she’s using you,” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t know why she’s doing this. For years she was angry at us, now she’s angry at Justin. I tried to talk to her,” Jen told us.

 

I looked right at Ben as I said what I was starting to suspect. “She’s mad that Justin is no longer only hers. Until we started seeing each other, the guys that came and went in Justin’s life didn’t replace her,” I told them.

 

“Which I kind of get. I mean, it’s how I spent years believing one day we’d be together. It wasn’t until Ben came along that I realized I didn’t really love you, just the idea of you,” Mikey admitted.

 

“I wasn’t planning on throwing her out of my life, just making her understand that my life was changing and my priorities had to change,” Justin told him.

 

“I had Ben, who does she have?” Mikey asked him, making Ben smile.

 

“She could have had a lot of people in her life, but she pushes them all away,” Justin answered.

 

Jen got up, furious at what her daughter and husband were trying to do to Justin. Even Justin paused to watch his mother roar.

 

“Which my daughter will have to figure out, but not by helping Craig try to hide what he did. They want to fuck with Justin, well I think it’s time to show them how I feel about that. Ted, I need you, and a lawyer who won’t mind playing dirty,” Jen told him.

 

“What are you going to do?” Justin asked.

 

“I’m going to show your father that what I did to his car was nothing compared to the hell I’m going to rain down on his head now. The last thing you need is this when you're pregnant,” Jen told him.

 

“I know someone who might be happy to make a man pay,” I told her, thinking this was right up Mel’s alley.

 

“I plan to make the whole family understand that I’m no longer going to be the airhead checkbook Craig married,” Jen told us.

 

“That’s why I didn’t get that you stayed with Dad,” Justin told her.

 

“I didn’t want to admit my parents were right, no matter what I knew,” She admitted.

 

Justin’s phone rang almost as if Marshall heard his daughter’s confession.

 

“Yes. Mom just showed me the article… I can’t prove that she’s lying since it didn’t name times or dates… Daphne’s likely to kick Molly’s ass over that… I’ll call and see if we can arrange to force Paula to take a DNA test, but there’s still the fact that it would show I share the same DNA as Craig… You guys don’t have to come… Okay, but we can handle it,” Justin told him, hanging up.

 

“Daphne?” I asked.

 

“Stupid teenage shit,” Justin shrugged. “Pop said he and Nana are coming,” He told his mom.

 

“Should I try to talk to Molly?” She asked me.

 

“I think she needs to see what happens to you in the press when you lie. Until now Justin was handling everything, even Craig. From what I can see, Craig doesn’t think anything through, like the fact that DNA will exclude Justin because he carries your DNA too, something the baby won’t,” I told her.

 

“Where did you learn that?” Mikey asked.

 

“When I had Gus and my DNA run, the tech was talkative,” I told him.

 

“Why did you have that done with Gus?” Justin asked.

 

“Because I never wanted him to have to fight my biological family for what would be his one day. It’s why we’ll do it too, not because I doubt you, but to keep my mother and sister from trying to get anything more than what I want them to have,” I answered.

 

“I never really thought about it. Everything went to Molly, since at the time I didn’t have anyone else,” He told us.

 

“Did Molly know that?” I asked.

 

“Sure. At the time I was thinking ‘anyone but my dad’. I need to change that too,” He told me.

 

“Why would your dad think he would get anything, he threw you out?” Ben asked.

 

“When it comes down to it, courts rule for the family to inherit. My father and mother remade their wills when I married Craig, but I could have fought it if something happened to them,” Jen told us.

 

“Yeah, but it’s not likely Craig would outlive Justin,” Ted put in.

 

“He tried to use Justin’s lifestyle to retain control of Justin’s money. Only I put a stop to it,” Jen told us.

 

“When?” Justin asked.

 

“After you left and my father handed you your inheritance. Craig went as far as trying to say you were offering Molly drugs, but she admitted to me that it was the other models, not you. I made her tell the lawyer your father brought to question her that you were the one who stopped her before she took anything,” Jen told him.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Justin asked.

 

“At the time, you and I weren’t on good terms, and in truth, I was worried about the lifestyle you were living. You were partying constantly,” She told him.

 

“I only let you and Dad believe that because the last thing I needed to deal with was Dad trying to jump into a deal that Pop and I were negotiating. I wasn’t partying, I was working my ass off. The only time I didn’t was when Brian was there,” He told her.

 

“According to the reports we got on Brian, it seemed like you just found someone to party with,” She told him, wincing at the look he gave her about the reports.

 

“The minute you sat there letting Dad explain how he expected me to live my life, was the minute neither of you had a right to know about it,” Justin told her.

 

“Justin…” Jen said, then stopped when he walked out of the room. “He’s right, I just sat there while his father and grandparents made it sound like trading Justin to some pervert wasn’t wrong,” She told us, getting her things and leaving with Deb.

 

“You want us to stay?” Mikey asked. 

 

“Thanks, but when he’s like this, he really just wants to be left alone,” I told him.

 

“He should get his feelings out,” Ben told me.

 

“He will, but for him, talking about it doesn’t help. He uses his art for what frustrates him. It’s something a year of being the person he talked to, taught me,” I told Ben.

 

“Ben, he has Brian to help him,” Mikey told him.

 

Mikey herded Ben out and Ted tried to slip by me with Blake. I stopped him by closing the door when Blake walked out.

 

“Justin needed to know this,” Ted told me.

 

“I agree with you, but why were Mikey and Ben brought along?” I asked.

 

“They were there when Jen came to Deb with what she had. I tried to stop them, but you know Michael,” He told me.

 

“Just make sure they all understand that doesn’t mean the door is open whenever they want to show up,” I tell him, opening the door so he can escape. “And Ted. Thanks,” I said before shutting the door in his face.

 

JUSTIN

 

I sat there, wanting to stab the canvas instead of painting on it. It was like Molly was becoming a person I didn’t know or like. Only it was always there, and I had refused to see it. It worried me. What would happen when this baby was born? What kind of parent would I be, since my parents weren’t examples of good parenting?

 

“Everything okay?” Gus asked, coming in and sitting on the chair next to me.

 

“Right now I wish my world only included you, Brian, and the baby,” I told him.

 

“It’s how I felt when my moms would let me see my dad, wishing it was just him and me.” He told me.

 

“He only wanted everything in your life to be good,” I told him.

 

“I kind of got that when he didn’t try to make my moms sound the way they made him sound. I could have been angry at Mama, but in a way, she loves me. She just didn’t understand that loving my dad didn’t change that I love her too,” He told me.

 

“I guess for me it was not really understanding how my mom stood by my dad,” I told him.

 

“You want to know what’s really made it easier for me to forgive Mama and Mom?” He asked.

 

“Sure, if you want to tell me,” I told him.

 

“In the end, they saw what they were doing to me, and didn’t try to excuse their behavior,” He told me, getting up to leave. “You know, my dad is really a good person to talk to, it would beat throwing paint,” He reminded me, closing the door.

 

I cleaned up my brushes, thinking about what Gus said. It wasn’t like I enjoyed the distance between me and my mom, but I could never see a reason to change it. She stayed with my dad, trying to pretend we had the perfect family. I didn’t let it bother me. Just went on with my life, only letting few people in it. It’s something Brian and I had in common, only a select few people saw who we really were. 

 

“Is it safe to walk in here?” Brian joked, which, looking around and seeing the mess I made wasn’t too far off.

 

“I really need to hire someone, before we get buried under my mess,” I told him.

 

“So what do you want to do?” He asked, sitting on the couch.

 

“I want to have our baby, and figure out us,” I told him, sitting next to him.

 

“Which we’ll do, but the other stuff isn’t going to go away. We need to get ahead of this, so it will go away,” He told me.

 

“I can force her to take the test, then it should end this,” I told him.

 

“While you’re in court trying to do it, it leaves them open to keep talking,” He reminded me.

 

“Then they deal with looking like idiots,” I replied.

 

“I’d rather make them wish they never tried to blame you,” He commented.

 

“How? Until I prove it, I’m guilty in the press. It’s why I never really wanted to be well known. So I could live my life the way I wanted it, not to keep up appearances and be seen,” I told him.

 

“You were well known anyway, just made it harder for anyone to get anything on you. Staying here means they have more time to look for dirt on you,” He told me.

 

“Maybe I should leave, until all this gets settled. The last thing you need is Gus dealing with the bullshit when he’s here to spend time with you,” I told him.

 

“Will you trust me to handle this? I want you here with me,” He asked me.

 

“What happens the first time someone shows up wanting a story? They are going to dig into your life, which my father will only be too happy to show them. Eventually Gus might read some of it, or see it on TV,” I told him.

 

“Then we sit Gus down and talk to him about it, explain what’s going on, and make sure he knows how to shut down anyone asking questions if they approach him. I doubt they will, since one of the things your Dad’s file didn’t contain was the fact that Gus is my son,” He told me.

 

“I love you, and I do trust you, but I don’t want to bring shit into your life,” I told him.

 

“I don’t care. What I do care about is being able to be with you and our baby. I want to see all the things that I didn’t when Lindsay was pregnant with Gus. If you want to go away then we can, but I’ve never believed in running from a fight,” He told me.

 

“We could spike our guns,” I told him.

 

“So you’ve been thinking of how to deal with this?” He asked.

 

“I was thinking about it the day we talked about me coming to live here.” I tell him.

 

“So what were you thinking?” He asked.

 

“Why hide that we’re together, or that we’re starting a family. The press is going to follow me when they figure out where I am, which I’m sure Molly told them. They want a reaction from me. Instead they’ll see us doing the things we need to do. Until we have any proof, any denial won’t matter,” I told him.

 

“If that’s what you want,” He answered.

 

“What did you come up with?” I asked.

 

“Before I tell you, understand that none of this is why I want to do it. It was something I knew I wanted, even before you told me about the baby. I was sitting there watching you, thinking of a way to keep you, when it seemed like you were trying to find a way to break it off with me,” He told me.

 

“I really thought you would be the one to break it off when I told you about the baby. So what did you want?” I asked.

 

“To find a way to tie us together,” He told me.

 

“You wanted to ask me to marry you?” I asked.

 

“I won’t say that. I just wanted a way to get you to agree to more than we had. We don’t have to get married, but you need to understand, as far as I’m concerned, we will make this work. It means we deal with the things that come with both our lives, together. What I wanted was simply us to stand together and be united, any way that works for us,” He told me.

 

“If we got married…” 

 

“Then we do it because we decide, and for no other reason,” He interrupted me.

 

“Let me finish. If we got married, can we do it in Greece?” I asked him.

 

“What are you asking, Mr Taylor?” He asked.

 

“Brian, will you marry me in Greece? When we decide, and for no other reason?” I asked.

 

“Yes, I will,” He answered, pulling off my shirt.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

BRIAN

 

I got up, leaving Justin to nap and willing to kick anyone’s ass who was on the other side of the door as I jerked it open. Gus stood there, staring in awe at the woman smiling down at him, and I agreed she was someone even I would look at, just because beauty deserved to be recognized.

 

“Um, even if you have the wrong house, you can come in.” Gus told her, doing pretty good at working his charm.

 

She looked at me and then down at Gus before saying anything. “You are going to be a killer when your older, but then apparently my best friend saw the potential when he let your dad knock him up,” She told him. 

 

“Daphne. Nice to finally meet you. Justin seemed to think we’d drive him nuts if we met,” I told her.

 

“No, he just hates to admit that anyone else could be right. So Gus, you want to give me the tour or leave it to my future father-in-law?” She asked with a straight face, while Gus blushed.

 

“Dad, I just remembered I'm supposed to do something,” Gus told me, running up the stairs, blushing away and relieving me that he had a way to go yet.

 

“I knew someone had finally stopped Justin from playing with them and leaving them before they got any ideas. And, seeing you, I can agree,” She commented, smiling.

 

“What made you think something changed?” I asked.

 

“He was no longer telling me the good stuff, just made excuses about being too busy to play,” She told me, looking around. “Where is he?” 

 

“Sleeping. Today wasn’t a banner day,” I explained.

 

“Did Molly show up again, demanding that Justin obey her?” She asked, looking ready to deal with anything that upset Justin. Justin was once again correct, Daphne and I would get along just fine.

 

“He’s finally seeing her without the blinders. Although, what she and her dad are up to, he couldn’t ignore,” I told her.

 

“They just can’t leave him alone. Craig, for all his disowning, can’t seem to get that Justin’s defection of Camp Taylor, meant Camp Craig too.” She told me.

 

“Unfortunately, they involved the press this time,” I told her, handing her the article when we got to the living room.

 

“Are you kidding me, bringing up that he had sex once with me? That’s her proof that Justin would willingly knock up a chick?” She remarked.

 

“Ask most gay men and at least half will tell you they managed it. In my case, drugs, alcohol, and pretending there was too much lube worked. I even got her pregnant when she wanted a baby. Only without the first two, so the last one left us going to the clinic to do it.” I joked.

 

“Justin was actually pretty good. But then, at seventeen the wind blowing would have worked to keep him hard,” She laughed.

 

“We really haven’t had a day of peace since he got here. Now that. Call me overprotective, but he doesn’t need all this shit,” I told her.

 

“Wow, you actually love him don’t you?” She asked, happy about it.

 

“I never really believed I would love anyone, but he knocked me on my ass. He stood toe to toe with me, not backing down from anything. I tried to convince myself it would eventually burn out, but it never did with him. When he told me about the baby, I knew denying my feelings wasn’t going to change it for me,” I told her.

 

“How are you dealing with his lack of organization?” She asked.

 

“Hoping he’ll really hire someone before I can’t stop from cleaning up after him,” I told her.

 

“Which only works until he wakes up to disorganize it again,” She said, obviously having experienced it for herself.

 

“There’s also dealing with friends. He’s doing better than I am,” I told her.

 

“What is Ben doing?” She asked.

 

“Acting like his husband used to when it came to me. We’re still not on the same page, but he’s backing off now that I explained to him that his helpful conversations about me to Justin should only be returned by me to Mikey,” I told her.

 

“Yeah, I never got why Ben still acted like Justin needed him as an advisor in his life. There were times when I knew Ben wasn’t thrilled about my opinions and that he needed to get a life,” Daphne told me.

 

“I understand he and I having problems when it came to Mikey at first, but he got what he wanted from Mikey. I even helped by not jumping in when it was Ben’s job. Apparently that earned no points for me. Just him making sure Justin doubted us,” I told her.

 

“Is he still giving you problem?” She asked.

 

“I just let him know the difference between a friendship and a relationship when he thought we should make Justin talk after he walked out, pissed about the article, his mother telling him his father tried to regain control of Justin, and what it would do to my son,” I told her.

 

“And you. Justin wouldn’t want his life to affect yours either,” She told me, as Justin walks up, beaming behind her.

 

“He knows now that it doesn’t matter to me as long as we stay together,” I reminded him, as I told Daphne.

 

“I know you’re behind me. It wasn’t like I didn’t see the change in Brian the minute you walked up, probably wanted to scare the shit out of me,” Daphne told Justin, as he slid over the back of the couch and laid his head in her lap.

 

“Stop ogling him. I’m still dealing with you not worshiping at my feet after the spectacular sex neither of us had years ago. That’s what inspired me to once again give it the old college try and be a straight WASP my daddy could be proud of, while denying I screwed someone beneath our standing, and likely barely legal at the time,” Justin tells her, sighing as if disappointed in himself. “Did I mention Gus would be blamed, since this one's a bit too early to take one for Camp Kinney-Taylor,” Giggling with Daphne by the end of his speech.

 

Watching the two of them, I was seeing the difference in the way Justin conducted his friendships. With Daphne, he enjoyed her; while with Ben, it was really like the advisor role switched places depending on the day.

 

“When are you going to make them sorry they tried this on you?” Daphne asked him.

 

“It never does any good until there’s solid proof. But I’m not going to let them change why I came here, which is to try… I mean succeed, at creating a family with Brian,” Justin informed her.

 

“The minute you moved here, that was a given. I really don’t like that Molly thought using me wouldn’t have me coming down on her head,” Daphne told him.

 

“Yeah. Will it help that I let the designers Molly wanted to show off, saying she worked for all, agreed to cut not only her, but my dad, and babymama Paula, out of the fashion scene?” Justin asked. Like anyone could get major houses to give them anything they wanted.

 

“What did you promise them?” I asked him.

 

“To invite them to our wedding. Which they were really happy about when I told them they could finally dress Brian,” Justin tells Daphne, while I really don’t see why we need to wait.

 

“Justin Taylor! Number one, why wasn’t I told you planned to marry my future father-in-law? Number two, showing off your man just to make them salivate, good job. Number three, I better be getting a new wardrobe too,” She commented him, kissing him.

 

“You saw Gus? Yeah, if he wants you when you're old, go for it. Really, you wouldn’t exploit him for goodies? Please, like they don’t already know they make you happy to keep me happy,” Justin told her.

 

“I’ll admit, after the bullshit earlier, I’m okay with the way Justin used me,” I tell them, getting them both to laugh.

 

“Shit, we have to help Emmett too,” Justin told her, yet I’m just hearing it.

 

“What does Emmett need help with?” I asked him.

 

“Drew,” Justin said.

 

“You don’t have to help Deb just because she asks,” I told him, since Deb apparently pulled Justin into the fold.

 

“I’m doing it because when Deb talked about it, I remembered what you said, and I agree with you. I know you think everyone should work for what they want, but a helpful shove never hurts either. It’s not like I can force them if they don’t want it, but maybe give them a way to meet halfway and see if things are different,” Justin told me.

 

“With everything going on, why are you adding more to it?” I asked him.

 

“Helping Emmett makes me happy, because I know it makes you happy,” Justin told me.

 

“What do you need me to do to help you?” I asked him, on board for anything Justin wants.

 

“I love matchmaking, so count me in. Also, anything you need for me to do about the other thing, not a problem,” She told us.

 

“I’ll help too,” Gus told her, coming around the couch only to get grabbed by Justin and moved until he and Justin are both laying on Daphne’s lap.

 

“Son, just so you know, they’ll use you to get designer.” I joked, while Gus nods showing he understands fashion.

 

I raised my phone. I wanted to capture the moment that I realized this family was more than just us working on it. It was there in the way Justin and Gus smiled at each other.

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

DAPHNE

 

While I get Justin’s plan, Craig and Molly involved my name in this, not that they put it in the article. The implication was enough for me. It was time little Miss Molly and I understood each other. I texted her to meet me, knowing she wouldn’t be able to resist a chance to fuck with me. At one time she was like the little sister I never had, but that ended when Justin and I started to do things without her. Justin still went out of his way for Molly, but eventually he wanted to do things that didn’t always include her. And I became public enemy number one.

 

She walked into the coffee shop, smirking at the guys who starred as she graced them with her presence. She spotted me, and took her time ordering, once again making sure to show that to her, I wasn’t important.

 

“You know, it’s really pathetic that you haven’t figured out that Justin isn’t going to love you. It’s time for you to find a life, one where my gay brother doesn’t have two point five kids and a dog with you,” Molly smiles her fake smile and pretends sympathy for my poor deluded soul.

 

“Sweetie, while I know you need help since no one wants to keep you in their life, mine is doing just fine. In fact, your GAY brother and I couldn’t be closer, and I couldn’t be happier he’s found Brian, who sees you for the window dressing you are. Which isn’t why I asked you to meet me,” I told her, watching the smirk fade at the mention of Brian’s name.

 

“Aren’t you worried that Brian’s taking your place?” She asked, just not willing to give up.

 

“Not at all, since Brian has a place in Justin’s life that I never wanted. Which, if that’s what caused you to join forces with Craig, we might need to talk about some serious therapy for you,” I told her, sweetly.

 

“I’m only protecting my friend. She doesn’t deserve to be thrown aside for Justin’s newest trick,” Molly told me.

 

“Your friend. Well, you and Daddy Dearest are going to look like the stupid asses you are when the truth comes out,” I told her.

 

“Does it upset you that Justin knocked up my friend and not you?” Molly sneered, with pity.

 

“No. What upsets me is that somehow all the brains and looks went to Justin. DNA is a sticky situation, and trust me, proof isn’t just because Craig decided it was,” I told her.

 

“My father is just trying to do right by Paula, since my brother won’t,” Molly said, sticking to the story.

 

“Daphne, sorry to be late,” Lawrence said, sitting down. “Hello, I’m Brian and Justin’s new lawyer, and you must be Molly Taylor. I have something for you,” Molly frowned when he handed her the paperwork. “Brian thought this might be hard for you to read and understand, so I can summarize it for you. After Paula Blair is ordered to take the DNA test, and it’s proven that Craig Taylor, not Justin Taylor, is the father, the papers we’re allowing you to have to show your lawyer will be filed, and a suit for defamation of character will be filed against both you and your father. Justin’s reputation is important to his career. The article the three of you chose participate in could have an adverse- bad, in case you didn’t know the meaning of that word, affect on his character in the business world,” Lawrence told her.

 

“Then he should think before he sticks his dick in someone,” She snapped.

 

“I’ll let him know your opinion. Also, I was to deliver this news to you personally. The fashion houses felt it necessary to terminate your and Paula’s contracts with them, considering it unwise to be linked to either of you. They’re more worried about employing someone who could slander someone’s character, and really don’t mind who Justin chooses to ‘stick his dick into’, to use your description. What matters is that Justin is more important to them than you,” Lawrence told her, making me want to kiss him for managing to shut her the hell up.

 

 

BRIAN

 

The reporters didn’t leave us alone when we went anywhere. At that point I knew we needed to get advice from a lawyer. Justin didn’t get upset when I hired Lawrence, he understood that eventually we’d need a lawyer. What upset him was Lawrence telling him to stay away from the three running their mouths into a lawsuit. He really didn’t want to sue over this, just make it go away. Marshall was the one who made Justin understand it wasn’t that simple. 

 

“Justin, the minute that story ran, people read it and likely talked about it. Even if they never hear about it again, they’ll only remember where you come off sounding like a callous bastard who denied your child. You plan to live in Pittsburgh, and whether you like it or not, people’s opinions will matter. They shouldn’t, but it’s the way of the world, and some of those people do business with Brian. Trust me, eventually there will be articles about your background, which will look as if you really are what they are reading. Which means you have to prove your innocence in a way that the truth comes completely out,” Marshall told him.

 

“I hate this,” Justin told him.

 

“You have to remember, Molly willingly did this to hurt you,” I reminded him.

 

“I do get that. It’s more hating the idea that my private life can’t be just that- private. I don’t want my life splashed across a page,” He told me.

 

“Which your father and sister did, not caring how you feel,” Lawrence told him.

 

Justin agreed, only to ask Lawrence to make sure Molly, Paula, and Craig were told the consequences of what they did. Lawrence read the letters from the fashion houses and told Justin he’d see they got it.

 

Marshall and Vivian called when they got here, and Justin arranged for them to stay in a hotel close by. I asked Justin why he didn’t invite them to stay with us. He looked at me like it should be obvious.

 

“Hello. While I’m sure they know we had sex, I really don’t want it pretty much verified.” Justin told me.

 

“We live together and you’re pregnant, it’s verified.” I told him.

 

“Let’s just say, if you want sex while they’re here, they stay in a hotel. Plus, I’m still not big on my mom, so this way they can deal with her without having to deal with me dealing with her,” Justin informed me. And, being the supportive, and horny fiance, I agreed.

 

We’d been waiting around for them to get here and so when the knock at the door happened, I didn’t think twice about opening. The flash was blinding, and it took a second for me to see the woman standing at the door.

 

“I want to speak to Justin,” The woman demanded.

 

“Paula, is it true you were blacklisted from the modeling world?” A reporter threw out.

 

“Mr Kinney, what do you think about the fact that you’re living with the father of Paula’s baby?” Came next.

 

“You tell him if he doesn’t clear this up, I’ll make sure his mother can’t show her face in town,” Paula tells me, shoving the notice from her agency canceling her contract into my chest.

 

“You do that. Since she really doesn’t care about anything but making sure Craig can’t support the bun in your oven. When she’s through, you’ll be lucky to get a job in retail after the press behind you finds out the truth. But then, I’m going to enjoy when the press behind you turns on you, for agreeing to this,” I whisper to her, shutting the door.

 

“Who was at the door?” Justin asked, when I walk back into the living room. “Never mind.” Justin said, when a flash went off at the window.

 

“Paula showed up,” I told him. Which only had him smiling as he ran out of the room.

 

Justin opened the front door as Paula stood talking to the press.

 

“Hey Paula, how old were you again when you slept with my father? I figured it could be a story to tell the baby, ‘How Daddy knocked me up at seventeen’,” Justin shouted, before slamming the door. “What? I didn’t get to see Molly’s reaction, and I did not go near Paula. I figured she could deal with what fucking with our world would be like,” He tells me, looking out the window at the side of the door as Paula ran to her car.

 

“I fucking love you,” I told him.

 

“I love not only fucking you, but you, too. Look at them, running to print that,” Justin crowed.

 

EMMETT

 

I thought long and hard about this, and decided to at least see him. I spent the last few years convincing myself that what I felt when I saw him wasn’t there anymore. I went on with my life, dated, or at least tried. Only finding something wrong with each person; they weren’t tall enough, they talked too much, and the worst was, they wanted me too much. I took the cowards way out and texted the last number I had for him. He didn’t answer for a day or two, then texted the hotel we used to go to so no one would find out about us. 

 

I got there early, just needing time to think. My stomach was in knots, making me wonder how I could still be nervous about seeing him. There was always a part of me that regretted ending things, but when a year went by, I stopped waiting for a phone call. Year two and I stopped watching anything where Drew would be mentioned. Yet I never erased his number, or the hope that one day it would be the one I saw when the phone rang. 

 

The door opened and Drew came in, leaving it open as if he didn’t care if anyone saw us together. 

 

“How have you been?” I asked, when I couldn’t think of anything funny, or really anything, to say.

 

“Good, and you?” Drew asked, always a man of few words.

 

“You know, the usual,” I told him, thinking something about this room always made things awkward between us.

 

“Why did you call?” He asked, when neither of us said anything.

 

“I guess I wanted to see if we could be friends,” I told him.

 

“No, we can’t,” He responded.

 

“Sorry to bother you then,” I told him, getting up and walking past him to the door. Thinking it’s better to not know.

 

“You can’t help that you bother me. Just knowing you're out there, bothers me. Knowing that one day someone might be able to love you the way you deserve, bothers me. Knowing that you got over me, bothers me,” Drew told me.

 

“A lot about me bothers you,” I responded, walking towards him.

 

“The minute I saw you, you bothered me,” Drew said, pulling me to him and showing me I’m an idiot when he kissed me like I was his home.

 

“Being without you bothered me,” I told him, seizing the day.

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian and I managed to get out of the house and to the hospital without having anyone realize we’d left the house. The reporters were more interested in trying to get a reaction from my mother about my dad filing for divorce before she could. Pop thought it was funny, because it wouldn’t save my dad from losing half of everything he had. Or from what he would end up owing my mother for the money she allowed him to use for improvements to his business. 

 

While my file had enough to show my father’s lack of faithfulness, Pop’s file contained reasons for Paula to start doubting she was anything but one in a long line of girls who my dad messed around with while she thought it was only her. Pop said that while he didn’t get the attraction that made women get involved with my father, it didn’t mean they were completely stupid enough to ignore that he was using them. 

 

The doctor came in after the nurse finished checking everything and told us everything was looking normal. She attached a monitor and the room was flooded with a loud thumping.

 

“Is that the heartbeat?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes, and quite strong. Everything looks good. We need to go ahead and do an ultrasound to make sure, so if you’ll follow me down the hall, we can see the baby too.” She told us.

 

Brian studied the monitor, smiling when the baby moved, holding my hand and squeezing it as we saw the life we created together. 

 

The doctor took all the measurements, letting us know the baby was healthy and that the due date my first doctor gave me was on target. Brian only stopped looking at the monitor when the machine was turned off, but was happy to get the disk the doctor recorded everything we saw on.

 

“When would it be safe to get a DNA test done?” Brian asked her.

 

“Is there a hurry, or any reason you feel it needs to be done?” The doctor asked, not understanding, since it didn’t make sense when Brian filled out his history as if he knew he was the father.

 

“It’s just a general question. We have some other areas in our life where a DNA test is important. Justin and I plan to do it with this one when it’s born for legal reasons, but like I said, we have a problem, and the sooner one can be done, well, it would make it so Justin can relax until ours is born,” He explained.

 

“Is this about the thing in the newspaper?” She asked, proving Pop right.

 

“I know her baby isn’t mine, but until I can prove it...” I told her.

 

“There’s a test which can be done at five and half weeks. All it requires is a blood test taken from Justin and a swab test from you, which we can do now for you two. While I’m doing it we can also swab Justin as well, that, in addition to the blood we take, will have it ready to compare when you need it,” She explained us.

 

Which of course suited Brian’s need to have everything done before they needed it. I of course, figured while Brian was listening to the doctor, it might be good to have her tell him caffeine isn't the enemy. 

 

“Brian got it in his head that I shouldn’t drink coffee,” I told her.

 

“One cup won’t hurt, but it would be better to switch to tea, herbal if you can. I can give you a list of the ones that are good for you,” She said, and of course the anal avenger only heard that no caffeine was better.

 

Brian pulled out his phone and sent a text. “Emmett will pick up everything before he comes over,” Brian told me, not even waiting to get a reply from Emmett.

 

On the drive home, I decided I needed to get an assistant just to thwart the man who was depriving me of goodness. I changed my mind when he parked in front of the greasy diner Deb brought Michael and I food from. I rushed in ahead of Brian so Deb could save me from ending up eating only what he thought I should.

 

Deb started to greet me, but ended up babying me when I gave it my all to pout in the way that seems to work for Michael. 

 

“Sit down and l’ll make sure you get what you want,” She assured me.

 

Brian sat down, shaking his head at my act to get what I wanted. It worked, so I counted it as necessary. Deb even took a break to fill me in on anything I might have missed, since we'd been stuck behind closed doors.

 

“Have either of you heard from Emmett? I'd ask Michael, but Ben banned everyone from the house this week,” She told us, smiling as I ate the double cheeseburger.

 

“He left a couple of days ago, saying he wanted to talk to someone, that's the last I talked to him.” I told her, looking at Brian who grabbed a menu acting like he didn’t already have food in front of him. 

 

“What do you know?” Deb asked, not falling for it any more than I did.

 

“Why did Ben ban people from the house?” Brian asked instead.

 

“He seemed to get that he was neglecting Michael. So he sent Hunter, along with Jenny, off to my house, saying he owed it to Michael to show him who was important to him.” Deb answered.

 

BRIAN

 

“Or making sure everyone could verify they were having sex,” I smirked at Justin.

 

“He really thinks my grandparents need to hear it. In case you don’t know, you’re a bit loud,” Justin told me, shoving fries in his mouth, and giving everyone around us even more to gossip about.

 

“Either way, I’m glad Ben seems to get that Michael should come before Justin in his life. Something he might have figured out since you’re doing a good job of showing everyone exactly how you feel about Justin. Lord, the boys were practically crying, saying the king was retired,” Deb commented, laughing.

 

“He really needs to control his caveman side, I mean, I was only having fun,” Justin added in.

 

“So Caveman, what did you do for Emmett?” Deb asked.

 

“Why do you think he did anything?” Justin asked.

 

“Because I know my boys, and this one has always done something if I’m worried about it. It’s why Michael and Ben had problems, because Brian was the one I depended on too much to keep Michael out of trouble,” Deb told us.

 

“I just made sure Drew knew Emmett didn’t forget him. What Drew did with the information was up to him,” I admitted.

 

“You actually got past the guy who acted like we were deranged for wanting to talk to Drew?” Deb asked him.

 

“I didn’t have to, but I did let him know what his agent was doing. Drew called me when Emmett texted him, wanting to know if I knew why,” I told them.

 

Speaking of Emmett and Drew, they were coming through the door, barely noticing anyone but each other. Everyone in the diner watched them instead of us, since we weren’t putting on the show they were hoping for. 

 

“Hey Baby, look who I brought. Drew this is Justin, Brian’s…” Emmett waited, as if it was my choice what to call Justin.

 

“Partner for now, eventually more,” I told them, as the diner’s attention returned to me.

 

“We’re planning to do the whole marriage eventually, in Greece,” Justin announced, watching as the diner patron’s phones went into overdrive at that news.

 

“Wow. Make sure to take lots of pictures. I’ve never been there,” Deb told him, as if we weren’t going to invite her.

 

“We can. But you can do it yourself, since I can’t see doing it without everyone being with us,” Justin told her.

 

“I’ll do all the planning for free,” Emmett announced.

 

“Nice to meet you Justin,” Drew said when they sat down. And as usual, the conversation changed.

 

“I’ve heard a lot about you, but nice to meet you too,” Justin told him, taking my plate.

 

Justin was in the middle of moaning as he ate, when a flash went off next to the window. Drew put his arm around Emmett, assuming they were there to try to get a story about him. Only to find out when the first one came in the diner, they were trying to get to Justin.

 

“Oh no you don’t. Get out,” Deb told them, pointing to the door. “My diner will not be a place Justin can’t come to,”

 

“What’s going on?” Drew asked.

 

“They think if they keep showing up I’ll say something about my dad accusing me of being the father of his kid. Or how I feel about my father blaming me for my mother leaving him,” Justin explained.

 

“Which Justin doesn’t need, since he’s pregnant,” Deb announced, not only to Drew but to the idiots sitting around texting the grapevine all the news.

 

“We could help them,” Emmett suggested to Drew.

 

“Whatever makes you happy.” Drew answered.

 

“Emmett, we can deal with it,” I told him.

 

“Yeah, but it’s not like the vultures out there will leave Justin alone unless they have something bigger to report. Emmett and I aren’t going to hide anything, and they can have a field day with it. I don’t care. Because nothing matters now that Emmett is back in my life,” Drew told me.

 

“He fired his agent for me,” Emmett told us, like it was the most romantic thing anyone could do for him.

 

“I found out he was making it hard for anyone connected to Emmett to get to me,” Drew told us.

 

“Let me know when you want to plan the wedding. And yes Brian, your orders were received and on it’s way to the house. Now Drewsie and I are going to clear your way,” Emmett said, getting up.

 

“You didn’t come to eat anything?” Deb asked, always worried about feeding us.

 

“No. I just wanted to show you that you could stop worrying about me,” Emmett told her, hugging her.

 

“Which I appreciate, since Emmett called me,” Drew tells her, hugging her too. Then he took Emmett’s hand, to show the world where his man stood with him.

 

“We need to get back, since my grandparents will likely spoil Gus to death,” Justin told her.

 

“Brian told me to leave it alone, but while I know it’s none of my business, that’s never stopped me before. Have you thought about talking to your mother?” Deb asked, ignoring my warning glare.

 

“When I do she’ll know, and no one else, but thanks for caring,” Justin told her, kissing her cheek instead of getting his back up at her interference.

 

“Do that. And don’t be a stranger,” Deb said, accepting what Justin wanted. Something she normally wouldn’t do.

 

“If you want to come over, I’d love some more of your manicotti,” Justin told her. The shit was lining up food.

 

“I promise to keep the cheese or meat in all the things I plan to bring,” Deb promised him.

 

I dragged Justin out the door before Deb suggested living with us. We were in the car when I had to ask why he didn’t get pissed at Deb for suggesting he repair his relationship with his mother.

 

“Deb was just showing she cares. It’s not like I don’t plan to do that eventually, just not now,” Justin shrugged.

 

“Afraid she won’t feed you if you piss her off?” I asked.

 

“Please. She’d feed me while pissed off,” Justin bragged.

 

“Why do you think that?” I asked, knowing it was true.

 

“Michael stayed healthy, and from what Ben told me he pissed off Deb regularly.” Justin said, as if that explained his belief. 

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I was going stir crazy. My life had always been where I was off to next. Now, instead, my days are looking at four walls. Well, that’s just an example. After the diner, even with Emmett and the fabulous Drewsie showing off, they latched on to the gossip of Liberty Avenue. Brian Kinney was getting married to me, and they were apparently confused about which one of us was pregnant. Michael and I theorized the shock that Brian was getting married meant that they didn’t listen to the rest. So a guy told a guy who told another guy then possibly a girl, not to be completely sexist about this, and the bump watch was on. So was the press, and somehow it turned into me not only knocking up Paula, but one Brian Kinney. The story of my father showing Paula some love got knocked off the front page.

 

With nothing better to do we agreed to go over to Deb’s house. Gus wanted to see Jenny, and I was sort of complaining long and loud about the things we could have been doing. It was summer. I thought we could go some place where summer was considered a good thing, like Atlantis, since there was something for everyone. Brian didn’t seem to think we needed to be out of town until things got cleared up here. The way Paula’s lawyer was fighting the paternity test should have been a BIG clue. Although I have to give it to Mel, the minute Brian called her, she showed up to help my mother. Lindsay stayed behind to pack, since they needed to be here sooner. Brian was a little put out when I sort of loaned them his loft, but he got with the program when I asked where else would they stay.

 

Ben and Michael showed up after their self imposed shut in was over, and Michael pouted that he only just found out that Emmett and Drew were back together. 

 

“They just got back together, you didn’t miss anything important, other than Liberty Avenue practically taking bets over what Justin and Brian will do next, and who’s having the baby. So far they’re still stumped at the idea that Justin might have gone where no man has gone before with Brian,” Ted ttold him.

 

“Look at it this way, the guys on the Avenue will be bowing to your greatness,” Michael assured me.

 

“Michael, that’s not helping,” Ben commented.

 

“Why would they… oh never mind. Why do people believe Brian only tops?” I asked, as Brian glared at me. But really, it's something I can be proud of, being the only one he let's top him.

 

 “Because he tops,” Michael assured me.

 

“Yes he does,” Emmett seconded, to stop me from shattering Michael’s illusions, not that I planned to when Brian relented from his health kick with me.

 

“Are you and Brian going to find out if it’s a boy or girl?” Deb asked.

 

“I don’t really care.” I told her.

 

“I wanted to start a blanket for the baby, but I could just go with rainbow colors,” Deb said, nodding, much to Brian’s horror.

 

“When are you two going to tie the knot? I think I should be allowed to help plan it, since Brian did it for Ben and me,” Michael said, while Emmett replaced Brian in the horrified look department.

 

“Honey, I plan. You just do what I say,” Emmett told him.

 

“I see one rainbow and I’ll throw you off a cliff,” Brian whispered to Emmett.

 

“We could go now,” I said, excited at the idea of being anywhere but Pittsburgh right now.

 

Brian was cut off from responding when my grandparents showed up with my mother and Mel. I really wanted to go now, but for my grandparents I’d be nice.

 

“Justin, we need to talk to you,” Pop told me.

 

“Did you know your father put your name on the business?” Mel asked.

 

“Since when?” I asked.

 

“When I gave him the money for the improvements he wanted to make, he put your name on it. He also paid himself as if he was on your payroll,” Mom informed me.

 

“Why would it matter?” Brian asked.

 

“Because now the money looks like I loaned it to Justin. While Craig was being paid for running it for Justin,” Mom told him.

 

“Then he’s lost everything, because this is a right to work state. Justin could fire him,” Brian told us.

 

“Only then he can fight Mom on the money because he was an employee, while I was the one who owned the company. Which won’t help him when I sign it over to Mom,” I told them.

 

“I don’t want you to,” Mom told me.

 

“Why? It was the money you invested that kept the business from going under,” I asked her.

 

“He threw you out and still used you in order to make sure I’d have to sue you for the money if I divorced him. He thinks he can get away with it, but he made the mistake of pissing off his secretary, Wendy, who he was sleeping with. She overheard him and Paula arguing about the paternity test showing Craig was really the father. Wendy figured out she wasn’t the love of his life, just getting screwed by Craig in more than one way,” Mom told me.

 

“Justin, think of it as another project we could turn around,” Pop told me.

 

“It really wouldn’t be much of a challenge, we’ve pretty much talked over the mistakes he’s been making for years,” I told him, not really interested in anything that pointed out that I was Craig Taylor’s son.

 

“Is Wendy willing to admit to what she heard?” Brian asked.

 

“She doesn’t want the press hounding her. We promised to keep her name out of it,” Mom answered.

 

“Why? She was screwing your husband,” Brian asked my mom, looking at her like he didn’t get it.

 

“By the time Wendy and Craig got involved, I honestly didn’t care anymore. I stayed married to him only because it was easier, something a lot of women in our circle do. It might sound strange, but Wendy was never anything but nice and respectful when we crossed paths,” She told Brian.

 

I got why this confused Brian and pretty much everyone in the room. I might have been raised in the circle my mother was talking about, but I didn’t care what anyone thought of me, just that I didn’t let anyone shit on me for the sake of appearances. 

 

BRIAN

 

While I’ve dealt with the people who lived the kind of life Justin did, there was no way I would have given a shit how nice or respectful they were, in my head they were still screwing her husband, which in no way puts nice and respectful as a way to see what Wendy was doing to her. 

 

“Brian and I need to talk about this first. We planned to spend the summer with Gus, not running a business. Plus I’d like to actually have time to be a father to this one, not shuffle him or her off while a business I don’t honestly care about takes too much of our time,” Justin told them.

 

“Justin, you already have the business plan we talked about, all you need it someone who can execute what you want and be available if they run into problems,” Marshall told him.

 

“Justin, why are they saying you could run the business?” Ben asked, confused since this didn’t fit with his version of the Justin he knew.

 

“Justin’s been my right hand when I look in to what business to either partner up with or buy out. It’s why he’s constantly traveling, which I have explained to my daughter. It wasn’t one big party the way Justin lets people believe,” Marshall told him.

 

“It’s why he was here originally, to look into Kinnetik for Marshall,” Ted told him.

 

“How does your father feel about a woman running it?” I asked, after Ben seemed to get that he didn’t know everything he thought he did.

 

“Craig is the classic ‘a woman's place is where a man tells her it is’,” Vivian commented, which wouldn’t have made her like her son-in-law, since she worked alongside Marshall.

 

“Cynthia is going to love firing Craig,” Ted laughed.

 

“You’re going to hate the extra work coming your way,” I told him.

 

“Please, he lives to crunch numbers,” Blake told us, kissing Ted.

 

“Why do you want to use Cynthia?” Marshall asked.

 

“She’ll make sure what Justin wants done is done, and will make a decision if she knows it’s the right one. Once she gets everything in order, she’ll assign one of my execs to start working on the rebranding and get a campaign that will get people out of the Big Q and willing to spend for quality over price,” I explained to him.

 

“I see what you were talking about, he’s already thinking three steps ahead,” Marshall told Justin.

 

“It’s why I didn’t think he would willing take on a partner, he’s all about controlling everything,” Justin couldn’t resist picking at me for saying ‘no’ to leaving town.

 

“We can go once the Paula issue is over,” I told him, earning a smile.

 

“Like Gus and I were really going to let you stop us,” Justin told me.

 

“Where are you going to go?” Michael asked.

 

“I thought, hey we have a  kid, why not go to Atlantis? But no, apparently Brian thinks we need to be here until my dad has to take the blame for the baby,” Justin complained, which got a plate full of food from Deb.

 

“Why would it matter if you guys found out here or on vacation?” Michael asked.

 

“See, Michael gets it, but fun versus reporter, I think fun wins,” Justin told us.

 

“You know, if there’s a problem, Drewsie and I could come too,” Emmett added in. 

 

“What? I just wanted to be included,” Emmett said, when we all stared at him.

 

 

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Justin didn’t want to come with Cynthia, Ted, and me, saying he’d rather be on a waterslide than deal with Craig. Instead he made me a partner. Not the one I was planning to be, but one who could deal with this for him. It wasn’t that he was hiding from Craig, he just didn’t give a shit about the man, or the company that was more important to Craig than to him. 

 

We found Craig in his office, feet on the desk, half asleep. Which explained why Marshall and Vivian wouldn’t want to do business with Craig. He managed to stand up, looking annoyed and yelling at his secretary for letting us in. 

 

“Why not, you let anyone you want in your pants, why not your office?” Wendy yelled, loud enough for the employees standing around trying to get some gossip to hear clearly.

 

“Not now Wendy. How about you do your job, the one I pay you for, and escort these people out of here,” He sniped at her.

 

“I have nothing to say to you, Brian. Justin needs to face his responsibilities like a man, not let you do it for him,” Craig told me, obviously thinking this was about Paula.

 

“Actually Wendy, can you just close the door. We can discuss your job and what is expected when we’re through with Craig,” Cynthia told her.

 

“Excuse me, but can you tell your... whatever she is, to leave with you. I only see people by appointment,” Craig said, sneering at Cynthia.

 

“I would think that would be up to her,” I told him.

 

“Yes, it would, since I was just promoted to head of Taylor Electronics. Which means I don’t need an appointment to meet with the manager of the worst selling store in the chain. What I need is to go over your severance package, and to put someone in that chair who actually does more than sleep the day away,” Cynthia told him.

 

“I own Taylor Electronics, young lady,” Craig told her, looking her up and down, before recognizing her. “Why are you here?” Craig asked me.

 

“He’s here to protect his interests, which would be Taylor Electronics. I’m here to decide what’s to be done to make sure JUSTIN Taylor’s company is in good hands. Which, from the reports Ted was able to get from the company’s accountant, says you really aren’t the one we want running it,” Cynthia tells him, pulling out a folder. “In fact, after going over your salary versus the salary of the other managers, who are in essence your equal, we found you were also paying this store a bonus that wasn’t earned, while not paying the manager the company outlined a bonus for doing what you didn’t and putting money on the bottom line. Which has been corrected and was taken out of your severance package because you were paid money you didn’t earn. Now, unfortunately for you, that means not only are you out of a job, but you also owe Taylor Electronics a hefty sum. Not to worry, we’ll get you the final numbers on what you owe, but at least you leave with a check,” Cynthia says, handing over the hundred dollar check Justin thought would just piss Craig off, and it did.

 

“It’s my company, and my board of directors won’t stand for this,” Craig said, turning red.

 

“As of this morning they were all relieved of… I would say duties, but last I checked, hanging out at the country club getting drunk instead of attending the mandatory meeting we informed them of yesterday, didn’t make the owner of the company have any faith in their abilities. Also, since you obviously had faith in Justin’s ability to run a company by giving him ownership, he decided to show you what he felt you lacked in running a business,” Cynthia told him.

 

“What are you talking about?” Craig asked, now nervous.

 

“Why Craig, in wanting to screw Jen you screwed yourself, as well as apparently a few others. You really should have taken Justin’s name off the company before filing for divorce. Jen managed to get all sorts of information. See, she hired a lawyer who would love to see you crawl out of here with nothing, for trying to keep what you owed Jen. Using Justin was a bad move. He might not be thrilled with Jen, but right now the bullshit you did to him has him more than willing to show you how good he is at business,” I explained to him.

 

“Please, he lives off Marshall’s generosity, fucking his way through Europe and partying in a way you couldn’t even compete with.” Craig said, brushing off the idea.

 

Marshall came in the door, hearing Craig. “You never knew Justin,” He informed Craig.

 

“No, I just didn’t manage to convince him to pimp himself out for his family the way you do,” Craig sneered.

 

“Justin didn’t need to use anything but the head on his shoulders to convince me what he was capable of. In fact, Justin just walking into a business makes them stand up and take notice. They’ve seen what he’s been able to do, and it’s called turning a company into a goldmine. Yes, I took advantage of him, but only in that he can tell me what we need to do, and then works to see that it’s done. What he does when he wants to relax I encourage, because unlike you, he works hard and understands business in a way you never will,” Marshall told him.

 

“I’ve been given the authority to fire you, and have to say I've enjoyed it,” Cynthia said, nodding to the security guys who were waiting to escort Craig out.

 

“My lawyer will make you sorry for this,” Craig warned me.

 

“I’m shaking in my new Prada boots. Please make sure you mention to your lawyer that we also have a few harrassment suits that your former employees will be filing. He’s going to be busy fielding those. Never fuck where you work, cause they’ll fuck you later,” I told him.

 

Craig looked at the women standing at Wendy’s desk and left without a word. 

 

JUSTIN

 

While Brian was off helping Cynthia, it was a good time to get papers drawn up and make sure my sister was no longer getting a dime after the stunt she pulled. Mel was in her office when I came in with Gus, and stopped everything she was doing to hear what Gus had been doing. Once again I liked her, because nothing was more important to her than hearing what Gus had to say. While I didn’t like the way they separated Gus and Brian, I could agree they loved Gus. 

 

“So, what are you doing here?” She asked me.

 

“I need to remake my will, and change my POA. Until now my sister inherited everything and my grandparents had my POA. Since Brian and I are planning to get married, it only makes sense to change it all,” I told her.

 

“I’ll need a list of all your assets and how you want to distribute them. A POA is just a matter of signing a new one declaring Brian in charge, so that we can do now,” Mel told me.

 

I pulled out the paperwork that contained a list of everything. Including my newest house, in Greece. I planned to gift it to Brian the day we got married. Mel started looking through the paperwork, only to look up at me wide eyed.

 

“Does Brian know about all of this?” She asked.

 

“All but the house I just bought. The rest he saw while we were going over what I planned to invest to turn my dad’s company around,” I told her.

 

“Are you two going to combine everything or do you want to set up a prenup?” She asked, letting go of whatever she was thinking.

 

“Brian already knows that will never happen. If I even thought I needed one I wouldn’t have asked him to marry me,” I told her.

 

“Okay, the will then. Although, I don’t think it would bother Brian if you wanted a prenup. I’m not saying that for any reason but as a lawyer. How do you want to distribute your assets?” She asked.

 

“Everything goes to Brian if he’s still here and I’m not. Otherwise it goes to our children, equally,” I told her.

 

“Are you having more than one or planning more?” She asked.

 

“After this one is born we have two, and right now we haven’t thought about more yet. Although maybe it would be better to put money in trust for Gus, since it’s something my family could fight if something happened to me. Have you gotten the paperwork drawn up to give Brian partial custody?” I asked.

 

“Yes, we planned to do it when Lindsay got here. Why?” She asked.

 

“I just like to know that he gets what he wants,” I let her know, making sure they weren’t stalling on it.

 

“Do you want to include your sister at all?” She asked.

 

“No. She took it too far the minute she tried to fuck with my life with Brian,” I told her.

 

“Brian, Lindsay, and I have an account set up for Gus, so you don’t have to set up a trust, he already has one,” Mel informed me.

 

“What’s a trust?” Gus asked, doodling at Mel’s desk.

 

“It’s money for you when your older for anything you want to do,” Mel told him.

 

“Why would I need it, when you guys always make sure I have what I want?” Gus asked.

 

“Someday we might not be here to do that, and we want to make sure you and Jenny don’t have to struggle the way we did,” Mel let him know.

 

“Is that why you wanted to come see Mama, cause you think you won’t be here one day? I promise I’ll take care of the baby, so you don’t need to worry.” Gus said, making me tear up a little.

 

“We know you will, but Justin is just here because it’s what a responsible parent does. It doesn’t mean he thinks something will happen anytime soon,” Mel told him.

 

“Okay,” Gus said, going back to his paper.

 

Brian called, asking me where I was, and told me to wait until he got to Mel’s office so we could have lunch. I groaned because I planned to take Gus for pizza, since Brian only seemed to eat it when Michael showed up with it.

 

“Brian’s coming here,” I tell Mel when I hung up.

 

“I’ll get the POA paperwork, and the custody agreement,” Mel said.

 

“I thought you wanted to wait for Lindsay?” I asked.

 

“No. Just once again stalling over nothing,” She admitted.

 

Brian showed up half an hour later with pizza and got a kiss that had Gus gagging and Mel looking anywhere but at us.

 

“Why are you here?” Brian asked, between kisses.

 

“I wanted to get stuff done since we are going to Greece soon. I decided you needed to make an honest man of me,” I told him.

 

“What stuff?” Brian asked.

 

“POA, changing my will, and well, Mel has something she wants you to sign too,” I told him.

 

“Actually, both of you,” Gus told us.

 

“Gus thought that since you two are going to get married just like Lindsay and me, it only made sense that Justin had custody too,” Mel told us.

 

“So like you’ll be sort of my Dad too, like Ben is for Jenny,” Gus said hesitantly.

 

“As long as you tell me if I ever become the uncool dad, it’s a deal,” I told him.

 

“Just listen to my Dad and your golden, Da.. Justin. What do I call you?” Gus asked.

 

“Justin?” Brian asked, when I couldn’t get a word out of my mouth.

 

“I’m good with whatever Gus is comfortable with,” I said, through the lump in my throat.

 

“Papa. Since we have to start with something so the baby doesn’t get confused the way Jenny’s dads do, since she just yells Daddy and they both come running,” Gus said, seriously thinking about it.

 

“Papa, what do you think?” Brian asked.

 

My answer was to bury my face in Brian’s chest as the tears started. I was going to be a Papa. Even though I knew I belonged with Brian, now I knew I belonged in my family. Something I only had with my grandparents.

 

“I don’t care what’s going on, Greece is waiting on us,” I told Brian, who nodded.

 

Chapter 24 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian complained loud and long as we drove to the loft to let Lindsay in. He went on and on about the likelihood the sacred bed was going to have to be burned, until Gus asked why. When we got to the loft all the guys were there helping Lindsay gather her stuff to move in. We managed to get everything done in an hour, while Lindsay took off with Gus and Jenny to get lunch for everyone. 

 

I planned to help, but of course Brian decided I could help by sitting on my ass. Of course Michael joked that he wished he had my excuse to get out of helping. Ben’s smile died at hearing that.

 

“Granted I’d end up getting the Grassi hips, so I’m good with letting others do the baby carrying for me,” Michael laughed.

 

“I know. While I would love to have a baby, the idea of my abs going to hell...” Emmett shivered.

 

“I’m working on Ted. I would honestly love to have a few,” Blake told us.

 

“Since I’m retiring anyway, I’ll save your abs,” Drew told Emmett.

 

“But we just got back together,” Emmett told him.

 

“No, we just got our heads out of our asses. You’ve been it for me from the moment we met,” Drew told him.

 

I might have sniffled a bit, and then got up, leaving the loft since Brian tends to think tears mean he needs to do something to stop them. It started with, of all things, the movie Sling Blade. Gus was interested in a game on the computer, so Brian suggested we watch a movie. I hadn’t really watched a lot of movies since I’d been working for the last few years, and when Brian and I were together TV was the last thing on my mind. Brian was a big fan of westerns and Brando, which wasn’t really my thing, so Daphne suggested Sling Blade, saying she liked it. Somehow I ended up crying the minute the guy starts talking about his life, which was horrible and grizzly. We barely got fifteen minutes into it before Brian turned it off when Gus asked why I was crying. I honestly didn’t know, but after that, everything was setting me off. Brian ended up calling Lindsay, who assured him it was natural, saying that even Mel cried, and it was just hormones.

 

Brian started to come after me, but I managed to smile enough that he stayed where he was. Ben came outside and sat next to me on the steps. He was thinking about something, but got over it when he looked at my face.

 

“You know, I’m glad Michael doesn’t want to do the pregnancy thing. I couldn’t imagine what he’d be like,” Ben told me, smiling.

 

“It still bothered you,” I told him, sad as hell for him, and damn it the tears started again.

 

“It always will. But it’s the price we both pay for our relationships, which isn’t really much since I’ve now got the kind of partner Paul never was,” Ben told me.

 

“So you got your head out of your ass too,” I joked.

 

“I also realized I was comparing things that mean nothing to Michael. And there are times when I make him feel like a kid, and not my husband. I also saw how sometimes I treat Michael’s shop like it’s not as important as what I do. We talked a lot the week we hid away,” Ben told me.

 

“He got to do what he loved, and to me that’s more important. It’s something we all want, and not always what we end up doing,” I commented.

 

“Is that why you wanted nothing to do with your father’s business?” Ben asked.

 

“I like going in and figuring out where things could be improved, or if the business is even worth saving. I just don’t really like my father or anything that has his name on it. I’m not sacrificing my dreams, since I still do what I want,” I told him, in case he wants to lecture me on it.

 

“I was just curious. I promise, I know better than to lecture you.” Ben answered.

 

“Good. Because I was starting to worry about my best friend,” I told him, leaning on his shoulder.

 

“Your best friend figured out that not everyone is like the idiots Paul brought into his life,” Ben told me.

 

“Michael and Brian have good taste don’t they? Too bad we stuck by assholes,” I told him.

 

“I wish Molly hadn’t disappointed you,” Brian told me, coming out to check on me.

 

“Let me go up and help my husband,” Ben said, leaving Brian to sit with me.

 

“Is there anything you don’t cry about?” Brian teased, wiping the tears off my cheeks.

 

“Let’s see, cheeseburgers, fries, and blowjobs,” I teased him, as my stomach started to growl.

 

“Gus said he’d make sure you have the first two, now the third one I have no problem helping you with,” Brian told me, kissing down my neck while his hand went down the back of my pants.

 

“Wrong place,” I told him, biting his ear.

 

We both looked up when someone cleared their throat in front of us. Brian groaned, laying his head on my shoulder. I looked up at the two women who seemed to both need let me know they didn’t like what they were seeing.

 

“Make the bad women go away,” Brian whispered, licking my ear.

 

“Brian, we need to talk. I can’t believe you could embarrass me like this,” The gray haired woman said, shoving a paper at us.

 

“Lovely, it’s triplets,” I told Brian.

 

“Maybe next time,” Brian said, ignoring them.

 

“Brian, this isn’t funny. People are talking about you,” The younger woman complained.

 

“I can’t show my face in church,” The older one told him.

 

“Why not? It’s not like everyone knowing you were drunk stopped you from going to church, Mother,” Brian sneered at her.

 

“This is her? Somehow I expected someone different,” I commented, looking at her.

 

“Joanie was a looker, at least that’s why my dad said he even bothered with her,” Brian told me.

 

“I would like to talk to my son alone. It’s time for him to stop his sinful ways and do his duty for our family. And to live the life we can accept from him,” Joan said, hitting the wrong button with me. No tears this time, just red hot anger.

 

“Justin…” Brian said, looking between me and his mother. Then shrugging to let me know to continue.

 

“Do you want to know the first time Brian mentioned to me he wasn’t hatched from an egg? It was when he also admitted the idea of his child being raised in a house like yours was the last thing he wanted for any child, including his. So I think I’ll make sure he’s sinning in a way that keeps him from doing his duty and makes him unacceptable to you. You can do us the favor of not coming here or anywhere else we happen to live,” I informed her.

 

“Brian, are you going to let him speak to me this way? Claire and I came here to talk about what you did,” Joan asked, ignoring me. Too bad I don’t plan to let her.

 

“Yes he is going to LET me speak to you any way I desire, because he knows my duty is to make sure he’s never around anyone that takes the smile off his face when he is in his happy moments, which usually include being IN me,” I informed her, as I moved to stand in front of Brian.

 

“Brian you need to listen to Mother. It’s time you stop acting like you don’t care about us. I can’t believe you stopped helping Mother,” Claire shouted.

 

“How?” I turned and asked Brian, since he didn’t tell me anything.

 

“I paid off her house and decided she could now live off what Daddy Dearest left her. I’m not going to be a hypocrite when you know how I felt about what Molly was doing to you,” Brian told me.

 

“Makes sense,” I agreed.

 

“We depended on that money Brian. What are we supposed to do now?” Claire asked, like working wasn’t an option.

 

“I heard the Golden Arches are always looking for shiny happy people. Oh, I guess that rules you out,” I said to her.

 

“Which is none of your business. Since we are talking to MY brother,” Claire sneered at me.

 

“I think you and I see it differently. You see, the minute Brian agreed he belongs to me, as my fiance, and soon to be husband, everything that affects him IS my business. I don’t like anyone thinking they can come and judge us for loving each other. Especially not a family who Brian seems to want to forget he came from.” I informed her.

 

We all looked up when Michael came out the door, not happy to see Brian’s mother and sister.

 

“Jesus, he’s finally happy and you two turn up,” Michael said to them. Only seeming to get angry when he looked at me. “What the fuck did you say to Justin?” Michael asked, getting in front of me.

 

“We came here to talk some sense into Brian. Which is something he lost when he met you and that ridiculous mother of yours,” Joan told him.

 

“You mean the mother who had to make sure Brian escaped the bullshit you and your husband did to him? I’ll be sure to tell her that making sure Brian’s arm was casted when you let your husband break it was ridiculous of her,” Michael told her.

 

“Is he serious?” I asked Brian, since he had never elaborated on his upbringing other than to say it was neglectful and unhappy.

 

“I told you their love would have killed me, so yeah,” Brian admitted.

 

“You let your husband beat him and hurt him?” I asked, wondering where she thought she had any right to demand anything from Brian.

 

“He was always upsetting my husband. Jack was just showing Brian that he needed to respect him,” Joan said, like it made sense to her.

 

“Daddy didn’t mean to hurt him, but Brian wouldn’t back down,” Claire said, just adding more fuel to the explosion I had no plans to stop.

 

“Did ‘Daddy’ ever correct you?” I asked her.

 

“He didn’t need to, because I was the good one,” Claire told me.

 

“So good that you repeated Mom and got knocked up by the first guy willing to fuck you. Lucky for you the hubby was just a loser who left when he got tired of the shit life he had because he knocked you up,” Brian snarked.

 

“He left because Claire refused to move away from me. She understood her place was with her family,” Joan told him.

 

“That would be enough for anyone to leave. A life with both of them,” Michael told me.

 

“Then Claire can support you, since she’s the dutiful daughter,” Brian informed her.

 

“I didn’t get to run off like you did, and forget the family.” She told him.

 

“No, you dropped out and added more mouths that none of you thought about how to feed and take care of. Just stuck your hands out to me, expecting me to support the family that didn’t give a shit about me,” Brian told them.

 

“We would if you would stop spitting in the face of God. You could have done the right thing and turned your back on this sinful life. Not made it so we were slapped in the face when everyone read about the man your with. Don’t you care what he did to that poor girl?” Joan asked, looking at Brian.

 

“Not really, since it was Justin’s father who knocked her up, and now wants Justin to do his duty and clean up after his ass. But that wouldn’t bother you would it? It just bothers you that Justin isn’t the good Christian woman you dreamed of, the one who would ignore your drunk stumbling because you held the Good Book in your hand,” Brian said, getting pissed.

 

“You know what, I’ll personally make sure neither of you ever have to worry about money for the rest of your lives,” I told them.

 

“Justin?” Brian asked, not liking what he was hearing.

 

“Really?” Claire asked, with interest.

 

“All you have to do are two things. Tell Brian you love him; gay, straight, or bi. And announce in church what a fucked up home life you gave him. Or, I could let the papers get the interview they’re dying to do and make sure Michael helps fill in the background on the hell Brian’s life was in your home. Think about it. A couple million can make anything acceptable,” I told Joan.

 

“I can deal with that,” Claire said, proving for her, money was her motivator.

 

“I wasn’t talking to you. How about it Joan?” I asked.

 

“I will not pretend to approve,” Joan sneered at me.

 

“I’m impressed. So leave now, before you give me a reason to announce to your world the life behind your door,” I told her.

 

“Mom, think of what it would do for me and the kids,” Claire told her.

 

“God will see us through,” Joan answered, walking away.

 

“I said I’d do it,” Claire told me.

 

“Too late. You should have stood by Brian when he was being beaten. Then I’d have given you anything, for protecting the man I love,” I told her.

 

Claire ran off after Joan and I turned in Brian’s arms and started bawling again. Michael patted my shoulder, worried about me.

 

“Crying over me. I’m touched,” Brian whispered.

 

“Lindsay brought vegan,” I sniffled, kissing him.

 

“I’ll call Ma,” Michael said, blanching.

 

“I tried Papa, but I got you a cookie,” Gus told me.

 

“It will not hurt you guys to eat healthy for once. Gus turned out healthy,” Lindsay told me.

 

“Like we didn’t catch you stuffing bacon down your throat every chance you got,” Michael told her, texting. “Ma will be here with an assortment for you soon,” Michael told me.

 

“I get why you kind of love him.” I told Brian.

 

“You love the food that comes with Mikey,” Brian said, kissing me.

 

“Look at it this way, Mikey grew up healthy too,” I told him. Managing to smile, but not fooling Brian as to what really upset me.

 

“Everything that happened with them stopped being a part of my life when I found you,” Brian told me, and I felt a fluttering that was almost like our baby saying it agreed too.

 

Chapter 25 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Pop called me, wanting me to talk to the company he was looking at. It was something to do instead of sitting around hating everything about Brian’s family. Michael called Brian to see if he could pick up Jenny on the way to dropping Gus off with Lindsay and Mel. The girls wanted to take the kids with them to meet up with some of their old friends who had kids. Brian agreed, but also told me he’d drop me off after he took the kids to the girls. Brian had a few things he could do in town and then come back and meet me. Somehow this got him on the subject of when the new baby was born it would help that we’d have people around us to help when we needed to work. I knew he wasn’t really saying anything about my inability to stay in one place, but it irritated me for no reason. I kept it in, even when he smirked like he knew I wanted to act like a lunatic. With the crying for no reason, I just didn’t want him dealing with my irritation at everything. He kissed me as I got out of the car, saying to call and he’d show up to get me. For some reason he decided it was better that neither me nor Michael had a way to enact the joke of showing up to the church and announcing that his mother was going to be a grandmother. We were just joking, but apparently Michael and I were bad influences on each other.

 

I walked into the lobby and spotted Molly sitting there arguing with my mother, and lovely, my father’s parents were there too. I hadn’t seen Molly since she pretty much made it clear she didn’t want Brian in my life. I didn’t plan to bother with her now either, unless she grew the hell up. I circled around to the elevator since I wasn’t in the mood to have everything turned on me by Molly and my grandparents. Of course my father was waiting for me. I looked through him, since there was nothing I wanted to say to him.

 

“How could you take my business and let that woman talk to me like that?” Dad whispered, not wanting anyone to hear us.

 

“I didn’t take YOUR business. It was mine. As for Cynthia, I wanted someone in charge who was going to run the business, not screw the help. Now, I have a real business to discuss with Pop. Why not go and help Molly and your parents browbeat Mom,” I told him.

 

“We are just trying to make sure your mother understands our point of view,” He told me.

 

“Your point of view? You mean you want her to back off and help keep you from losing everything?” I asked him.

 

“If you would have just gone along with telling everyone that Paula’s brat is yours, none of this would have happened,” He said, trying to control his anger.

 

“Once again, you really think I care how anything reflects on the family? I gave up when all of you thought selling me off was in the best interest of the Taylors. Now I really have things that I consider important to do, and you likely need to figure out how to support everyone that you deem important to you. Although, since it’s now only you, I’m sure your parents would be happy to have you back home,” I told him.

 

“You did really well in investing for Molly,” He said, likely hoping to get a rise out of me.

 

“Yes I did, but hopefully she isn’t stupid enough to lose it to you, otherwise, good luck to her,” I told him, as he looked confused at why I wasn’t rising to the usual bait of Molly. “She lost my support when she decided to trash everything that made her the sister I love. It’s time for her to stand on her own two feet. You can’t use that on me anymore,” I told him.

 

“And you can’t use your mother to keep me in line,” He countered.

 

“Nope. But I can make people think twice about doing business with you. I can also make it so Molly’s funds run dry, since no one is going to be willing to hire her or your little girlfriend just because I ask. Kind of makes me a dick like you. But I see it as karma.” I told him, getting in the elevator and ignoring him as the doors close.

 

BRIAN

 

Marshall called and told me that apparently the Taylor Clan were at the hotel. I turned around and I stood back and let Justin deal with his father. Only because he was doing perfectly fine dealing with him. Instead I went to sit with Jen, just to piss little Molly off. I had mixed feelings about Jen. For one thing, she sat back while Justin’s family did the things they did, but it seems she’s no longer drinking the country club cocktail that turns them into mindless stepford wives anymore. 

 

Molly rolled her eyes when I sat down, and the grandparents looked at me like I was a bug they wanted to stomp. Jen actually kissed my cheek and ignored them, asking how Justin and Gus were doing.

 

“Gus figured out Justin’s the push over. And Justin likes being pushed over by Gus. Something I fear when the baby’s born and have to rein him in,” I told her.

 

“I doubt it. He saw what overindulging Molly did, and wouldn’t want to repeat that mistake again. Meet the other half of Justin’s family, Marcus and Tonya Taylor, his grandparents from Craig. This is Brian, Justin partner,” Jen told everyone.

 

“There is nothing wrong with Molly, she understands family loyalty,” Marcus commented.

 

“Molly worked hard and made us proud of her,” Tonya said, hugging Molly.

 

“And look what it got me. I sided with Justin against all of you. I stood by him, and agreed with him that you only gave a shit about your bank accounts and not him. And he wanted him, not me,” Molly sneered, pointing at me.

 

“That’s untrue, we only wanted what was best for Justin,” Tonya told her.

 

“Now you want what’s best for me. Which is to convince Mom to get her parents to give me money,” Molly said, pissed.

 

“It’s to help your father, young lady,” Marcus said, as if everyone owed Craig Taylor.

 

“Well, coming to me won’t help you. My parents don’t feel Molly will act responsibly, since she and Craig went to the press with a false story about Paula,” Jen informed her.

 

“Jennifer, it’s time for you to see Justin isn’t the good boy we raised. I agree with Craig, that Justin needs to take responsibility for his lack of impulse and do right by Paula,” Tonya said, making me wonder if she was really as clueless as she sounded.

 

“I didn’t want to embarrass us all when I walked in to hear Dad and Paula telling that reporter the story. Something I learned from you,” Molly told Jen, ignoring Tonya’s look of confusion. Although Marcus didn’t look too confused.

 

“But you couldn’t resist adding to it, could you? All because Justin no longer wants to pamper your ass,” I told her, figuring it was time to clue in Tonya.

 

“Nothing I said wasn’t true. He and Daphne did sleep together. I can’t help that Dad took it from there and told them Justin was really bi and not gay. Or that Paula went along with it, since it only helped sell the story,” Molly said, excusing herself from the blame.

 

“What?” Tonya asked, looking horrified at Molly.

 

“Tonya, men have needs. Obviously Jennifer was neglecting our son,” Marcus told her.

 

“I don’t care what his needs are. Because of him we’re having to practically beg to keep from being in the poor house,” Tonya said, angry about what exactly, I didn’t know.

 

“What do you mean?” Jen asked.

 

“We invested most of our retirement savings into Taylor Electronics after Craig told us you’d demanded he pay you back your investment,” Marcus told us.

 

“And now they all think your parents should bail them out again,” I told Jen.

 

“And we wouldn’t have had to if Craig hadn’t stupidly put Justin’s name as the owner,” Tonya told me.

 

“Actually you would have, because Craig was running the company into the ground. Justin’s plan will bring it back from bankruptcy,” Marshall said, sitting down next to us. “Sorry, I was eavesdropping. Justin’s busy on the phone, so I thought I’d come see why you wanted to meet with my daughter. How are you Brian?” Marshall asked, ignoring Tonya and Marcus.

 

“I’m doing quite well. Justin and I are going to go ahead and get married. Waiting for Craig and Paula’s plan to explode in their faces might take until the baby’s born, so we decided to go ahead and do it now,” I told him.

 

“Marshall, you need to tell Justin to protect himself,” Marcus said, as if Marshall would agree with him.

 

“He already did,” Marshall tells them with a glint in his eye.

 

“At least you realize he’s making a mistake, since Craig showed us the file on Brian Kinney,” Marcus said, saying my name like a curse.

 

“Mistake? I think Justin knew that for Brian it didn’t matter who was richer, just that they both wanted to be together. Justin did what Vivian and I did, he shared everything he owns with Brian. It also includes Molly no longer being the sole heir, or even mentioned in the will. Which, with the baby on the way, was the right choice. Molly has what I plan to bestow on her and what Justin made sure Craig couldn’t get his hands on unless I personally approved it.” Marshall told them.

 

“What? It’s my money,” Molly shrieked.

 

“And you can use it as you see fit. But only if it doesn’t involve Craig or anything to hurt the brother who loved you. Something you seem to want to do. For what reason I’m not sure. What did Justin do, other than make sure you were never put in the position he was in with the Taylors?” Marshall asked.

 

“Everything. All my life he did everything better. I spent half my life with teachers talking about how Justin would have aced the test I got a B on. Mom and Dad fighting about Justin and ignoring me. Justin owed it to me to make me important because no one else does. I wouldn’t have even gotten my first job modeling if Justin hadn’t had people willing to do anything he wants. Armani only agreed because they saw it as a favor to Justin, not that I was qualified for the job,” Molly ranted.

 

“Were you?” Marshall asked.

 

“That’s not the point…” Molly stopped when Marshall talked over her.

 

“It is the point. Justin did everything he could FOR you. He tried to make up for what both your parents lacked. Instead of seeing it that way, you persist in these childish tantrums, betraying the one person who would have stood by you. He would never expect you to hand over the money you made, because he knew Craig wanted to control both of you. Instead he made it so no one could ever make you feel like he did the day your father brought home his choice for Justin to show his loyalty to the family. He would never have you going to your mother to gain access to a fund that isn’t rightfully yours until I say it is. Your brother would have done what it took to support himself and you, never letting you see what it would have cost him. Because that’s the way your brother loves you, not like your father, who has you lying for him.” Marshall told her.

 

“But he chose him,” Molly told Marshall, pointing at me.

 

“He fell in love with someone. If you ever do, you’ll figure out it didn’t change that he could love you too. You didn’t give him a choice, by thinking he had to choose the man he loves or you. Justin could have done both, but you forced his had the way your father and grandparents did when he left,” Marshall told her.

 

“He hates me now,” Molly told him.

 

“I’m sure he wishes he could after what you did. It’s hard to hate someone you want to love, but eventually you get hit enough times and it makes you question if the love you gave is worth the beating you’re getting,” I told her.

 

“Molly, you're causing a scene. We need to figure out how to keep Craig out of trouble,” Tonya tells her, proving she only cared about Craig, no matter what he did.

 

“This will only be the beginning of how it started with Justin,” Marshall told Molly.

 

“It’s why he went after Dad, isn’t it?” Molly asked Marshall.

 

“Yes. Because he didn’t want them letting a pervert touch you,” Marshall told her.

 

“Molly, Justin did what I didn’t do for him, for you,” Jen told her.

 

“Why didn’t you?” Molly asked.

 

“I wanted to believe I married the man I thought your father was, and I was wrong. Don’t keep punishing Justin for our mistakes,” Jen told her.

 

“And don’t expect Justin to welcome you with open arms. You have a lot to prove to him, starting now,” I told her.

 

Molly looked at me for a minute and nodded, not saying anything but walking out while Tonya and Marcus chased after her.

 

“What do you think?” Marshall asked.

 

“We’ll see what she does, then let Justin decide,” I answered.

 

“I don’t get why they thought I’d do anything to help them,” Jen told us.

 

“Because when Justin needed you, you did,” I told her.

 

“He’s still waiting for me to prove to him that I’m not going to be the same person?” She asked.

 

“Which he has a right to do Jennifer. You show up criticizing his life, never once seeing the man he’s become. He’s spent just as many years dealing with the same from Craig. And somehow you expect Justin to forget the years he not only protected Molly, but you. Only to have you act like he was only partying his life away. You know I wouldn’t have supported Justin if that was all he planned to do, but you wanted to believe Craig. Take time to get to know Justin, and give him time to see you aren’t the person you were. It’s why Brian scared Justin in the beginning, because he didn’t want to love someone and lose himself in the process. He was lucky to find someone like Brian, who didn’t want anything but Justin,” Marshall told her.

 

“I was the lucky one, he loved me despite his fear,” I told them. Leaving them when I see Justin walking out in the lobby.

 

I walked up behind him and heard him talking to Michael. Which is never a good thing when they both are plotting. I grabbed the phone only to hear Michael saying they could arrange a Pride March in front of my mother’s house.

 

“Mikey, no,” I told him, hanging up.

 

“Hey, we were just kidding,” Justin told me.

 

“You both stop and I’ll agree to Atlantis after the wedding,” I bargained.

 

“Um, I was sort of hoping neither of us would see daylight for a week instead. But I can do Atlantis since Gus really wants to go,” Justin told me, smirking.

 

 

End Notes:

Sorry about the posting not as often but work had been a bear lately. Hopefully things will calm down enough for me to wtite. Thanks for sticking with me.

 

Star

Chapter 26 by starlight

BRIAN

 

Daphne called me and told me I needed to get Justin out of the house, because she had someone who needed to talk to me. At first I wasn’t going to say yes, because she told me it was Molly, who in the last week hadn’t done anything I could see to help Justin. At this point it felt like everything we said to Molly fell on deaf ears, except that the media was quiet in the last few days. I agreed, only because it was Daphne who asked, and she wouldn’t do something if she thought Molly was still trying to hurt Justin’s life. I figured using Lindsay was the easiest answer to getting Justin out of the house, since Justin wasn’t opposed to spending time with her. They had a lot in common and Lindsay understood the crap that Justin’s family did, she lived it too. She didn’t ask why, just agreed to keep him busy when I asked her.

 

Molly came. For once not dressed to the hilt, and smiled at Gus who was playing a game on the TV. For once she looked like the teenager she was and not the adult she was pretending to be.

 

“No one would listen to me, I talked to the reporter who did the article but the guy said he required proof that I wasn’t lying again. I couldn’t get Paula to tell the truth either. She thinks my Dad can somehow make it so the results will show Justin is the father. I just don’t get how she thinks my Dad could do it. So I went to Daphne, since she normally plotted with Justin when they were planning things,” She told me.

 

“I’ll let her explain what she did, but I’ll tell you my favorite part; Craig is trying to have the test done by a doctor not connected to any of you. Lawrence looked into the guy and guess who he went to school with, Craig. Only he wasn’t part of the group Craig hung out with, so I guess Craig thought no one would think there was a connection to him. Lawrence found it only because he wanted to know why it mattered who performed the DNA test. Apparently the guy did this for a couple of friends of Craig’s when they found themselves in similar situations after screwing around with the wrong girls. Craig just opened all his friends up to having to deal with the kids they managed to screw over by getting the guy to change the results. Realistically, the story that’s about to come out is going to make half the families duck for cover and Craig person non grata after this,” Daphne told me.

 

“Sounds like fun, but why is Molly here?” I asked.

 

“I told her she needed to clean up Justin’s mess before it dribbled out into the hall. So off you go Molly, while I talk to Brian,” Daphne said, shooing her away. 

 

Molly actually looked like she wanted to clean it up. Not that I was sure what it would accomplish. Daphne waited until she was up the stairs, opening the door I told her was Justin’s studio, only stopping to wave at Gus, who waved back, blushing at her.

 

“I know Justin’s acting like he’s okay with not having Molly around, but he sees her like his child, and I want him to have more than me and his grandparents at the wedding. I just didn’t know if Molly could do anything to make it possible until she called to talk to not only me but Lawrence about what she wanted to do. She did one thing, but I think she should tell you, because she deserves all the credit for it,” Daphne told me.

 

“I’ll listen, but why would it change the way she’s acted about me being in Justin’s life?” I asked.

 

“Because she is just as jealous of me as she is of you. She wanted Justin to be the same brother who only thought of her. And when I came into his life she was okay with me until we wanted to do things without her around. With you it was more about Justin changing his plans with her to spend time with you. She admitted that she hit on you because she could tell Justin wasn’t just hooking up with you. She didn’t like that Justin was choosing to spend time with you and not her. I think she got woken up when Justin wouldn’t keep putting up with her tantrums. After finding out Craig and his parents used her to try and get money out of Marshall, she knows it was what Justin was blocking her from seeing with Craig and the rest of the Taylors. I told her it was time for her to help Justin or live outside of his life. I think she should tell you what she did after our conversation. So after she cleans up, go talk to her,” Daphne told me.

 

“Why not let her tell Justin?” I asked.

 

“I think she needs to prove to you that she did what you asked her to in order for you to be willing to have her not only in Justin’s life, but yours and the kids as well. You want Justin and her to make up, even though you don’t get why they should. Which I got from what she told me you said to her. But even if they do, it would still be hard on Justin that you and she don’t get along. She also has a unique talent that you don’t know about. She’s the reason you never saw the mess that was Justin; she cleaned up his shit when they hung out together, and unlike when I do it, she knows how to do it in a way that Justin will keep it that way for longer. Plus, no matter how shitty she could be, I still loved her too, I just wasn’t willing to put up with her crap, and she knew that when she called me. I guess I’m hoping to find the Molly that Craig changed when he saw her as a way to get to Justin,” Daphne told me.

 

We stayed downstairs as Molly did what I wanted to Justin’s studio. She spent over an hour in there before I finally went to check while Daphne stayed with Gus. I walked in to see her sitting on the clean floor, looking at three painting she propped up in front of her. She didn’t say anything when I sat next to her, just let tears slide down her cheeks as she stared at them.

 

“Everytime I see what he can do, I wonder why he does anything but this,” I said to her.

 

“He only paints when what he feels needs to come out. I hated every time he painted you,” She told me.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because with each one of them, it meant he loved someone else more than he loved me,” She told me.

 

I looked at the painting of Molly looking at something with a mischievous smile on her face. Then the one of me sleeping after we’d been up all night, and one of Gus and me sitting on the sofa in the hotel, talking about what happened with his moms and me. In every one Justin showed his love of the subjects. 

 

“What I see in all three of the paintings is that he could love everyone in them,” I told her.

 

“I know, but what does that make me, that I didn’t want him to love you or anyone else? I’m everything Daphne and you both said, and I never wanted to be like that. I used to imagine Justin and I together surrounded by our kids, and how perfect it was that our kids had us, not the life we lived with our parents,” She told me.

 

“Then why do everything you could to make it harder for you and Justin to have the life you imagined?” I asked.

 

“I guess, because except for Daphne, I never had to share him, not even with my parents. He never let Daphne be the reason we didn’t do what we planned to do. He never told me no, until you came along. I always felt like he was mine, even when other people were in his life. He still belonged to me. When you started coming around he would get pissed at me for saying anything negative about you. And so I wanted you gone. Because he’s the only person who accepted the good and bad parts of me, without making me see there are bad parts,” She told me.

 

“From what I saw, he ignored anything you did wrong, and you didn’t like me from the beginning,” I told her, since she and I never got along from the beginning.

 

“He didn’t ignore it when I made a snide comment about texting his boy toy to come to fashion week. Which was the first time I knew you existed. Then you come and he spent all his time with you, telling me to stop acting like he couldn’t have a life outside of mine. I hit on you because I thought it would give me something on you to get you out of his life. Since you didn’t love him the way I do,” She tod me.

 

“I can’t say I did, but at the time I wasn’t sure why I couldn’t leave him alone. I love Justin in a way you never will, because you're his sister, and it’s not the same,” I told her.

 

“Do you think we’ll ever be able to get past this and get along?” She asked.

 

“Only if you understand that for me it’s about making sure Justin doesn’t get hurt by keeping you in his life. This whole thing with Paula and your father threw him. But you being involved was what hurt him the most.” I told her.

 

“Justin would have at least loved a baby, any baby. If the baby was my Dad’s who do you think would give a shit about the baby? Not my Dad, or even Paula,” She said, like somehow blaming Justin was the better alternative.

 

“Justin can’t be the answer, the way you think he should be the answer for you,” I told her.

 

“I know. So I have something for you.” She said reaching for her bag, she took out a piece of paper from Justin’s doctor. “I dragged Paula to Justin’s doctor, and they performed the test on her. She admitted in front of Lawrence and the doctor that she wasn’t even sure it was my Dad’s kid, which was why she was really resisting the test. Apparently Dad wasn’t the only one she’d been screwing around with in hopes for a Sugar Daddy, and decided she needed to get out before the truth came out,” Molly told me.

 

“Does Craig know yet?” I asked.

 

“Nope. But he’ll have more things to worry about when the article Pop helped to get written with the proof of who isn’t the father comes out. It includes how the doctor at the country club changed the results of paternity tests to keep scandals at bay. Lawrence agreed to answer about how my dad wanted to use the same doctor to prove Justin was the father of Paula’s baby, and that it led him to discover how many others did the same. Pop offered to let me stay with them. So if Justin still isn’t ready, that’s where I’ll be. Just call me if his mess gets out of hand and I’ll take care of him,” She told me.

 

“I didn’t think it was possible, but hopefully one day I can show you what having two brothers looking out for you could be like,” I told her.

 

“I make a great babysitter. I’ll wait with Gus while Daphne checks that we didn’t kill each other,” She told me.

 

Daphne came up and sat with me. “What do you think?” She asked.

 

“She did something my sister never would have done,” I told her.

 

Daphne and I heard giggling downstairs and got up to see Molly and Gus playing together. For the first time since I’d met Molly, her smile was warm and reminded me of Justin’s.

 

JUSTIN 

 

While just leaving and going and getting married sounded like what I’d do normally, real life doesn’t work that way. Brian didn’t want us just throwing together a hasty wedding. I joked that he just wanted a new wardrobe. Brian just wanted us to get married, without looking back later and wishing we’d done it differently. Emmett cut every corner he could to make it so we could go in two weeks. Only, now I needed to get new stuff, since my clothes weren’t exactly fitting like they did before. Brian, Mr Perfect Abs, acted like my little gut was somehow cute, and he spent hours every night showing me how much he loved the fact that I was getting fat.

 

With only a couple days left before we were getting married, Brian suggested Lindsay and I go shopping for anything we hadn’t already gotten. It felt like he wanted me out of the house, but he said Gus didn’t have the clothes he needed for Greece. Which pretty much meant I could spoil Gus some more, so I was all in. He told me that wasn’t the reason he suggested it but that he wanted all of us to get along since we’d be raising Gus together. I agreed. Only because I wanted to get out of the funk I’d been in since dealing with my dad, and avoiding my sister and mom. Brian told me what he said to Molly and my mom, and what the whole conversation was about. Did it surprise me that my father was ripping off his parents and trying to get Molly to do it to Pop and Nana? Not really. My father knew I made it so he couldn’t get his hands on the money Molly made. He was all about himself, not caring what happens to Molly any more than me. I honestly didn’t care what Molly did with the money she earned, but I also didn’t want my father to have a way to control Molly. Even with having the bigger fashion houses close their doors, he would eventually find a way to use Molly the way he wanted to use me. That scared me more. That with everything I did for Molly, she was left thinking Dad wouldn’t use her the way he wanted to use me. I wanted my sister back, but I couldn’t pretend she wasn’t involved in the shit my Dad did. So I acted like I didn’t care about it, but deep down I did. She was my baby sister. It made me apologize to Brian about saying shit to his mother and sister, which he told me didn’t bother him. And it really didn’t bother him, and I annoyed the hell of him by asking why, over and over, just because of my problem with letting go of my family. I really think it’s why he told me to take Lindsay shopping; to shut me up.

 

Lindsay was excited that Brian told her they were coming with us to get married. Michael wanted to buy the stuff Jenny needed, telling Mel and Lindsay just to worry about Gus. Everyone was excited to go with us. I'd been acting like it didn’t bother me that only my grandparents would be there. My father not being there didn’t bother me, but even with Molly being a colossal bitch, I always thought we’d be together in our big moments. My mom was a bigger question; even not liking some of tells things she did, I loved her. She was trying, but for some reason I just didn’t try with her.

 

“Justin?” Lindsay asked, holding up a baby outfit.

 

“I doubt that would fit Gus,” I joked.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked. 

 

“Is it weird that even though my sister isn’t exactly the greatest person, I want her to be a part of everything?” I asked.

 

“I feel the same way about my sister. She tries to act like she doesn’t have a problem with Mel, but I know she does. I still invite her to things, but there’s a part of me that hopes she doesn’t show up, which makes Mel wonder why I keep inviting her. It’s just, I remember when at one time when it was Lynette and I against the crap my parents expected of us. She eventually stopped fighting and gave in. I guess I still try because I remember the person she was before my parents beat her down.,” Lindsay said, shrugging.

 

“What about your parents?” I asked.

 

“My Dad isn’t as bad as my mother, but they were both raised the same, and expectation rules their lives. I think for me it’s more that I always felt like they look at my relationship as if it’s just something I’m doing until they can find the cure to make me like Lynette. It didn’t help that I dabbled in men, but prefer women, and when I had an affair with a man, they saw it as me admitting I wasn’t really gay. To this day they don’t even mention that Mel and I are raising Gus; just that Brian and I are the parents. Lynette at least acknowledges Mel is one of Gus’s mothers,” Lindsay told me.

 

“In my family they tried to act like my being gay wasn’t an issue, just looking for a way to profit off it. Maybe I protected Molly too much from it all,” I said, knowing it sounded like an excuse.

 

“Protecting her should have made her want to protect you too. Please don’t be mad at Michael; he told us what he and Ben heard about your family situation. I guess Deb and your mom have been talking a lot. It’s just, even when Lynette acts like my parents, she still tries to mediate between us, she isn’t just jumping at what they want. She’s never purposely tried to hurt either Mel or me,” Lindsay told me.

 

“That’s something that’s thrown me. My mom’s not a snob, but tends to shy away from people who don’t fit into the world she came from, and well, Deb’s different. She’s out, loud, and proud of what she believes in. Brian keeps telling me not to let Deb think she can do or say anything and expect me to do it. But I like that she isn’t doing anything with the idea of hurting anybody, just helping them,” I told her, not wanting to talk about my sister and how many ways she tried to derail Brian being in my life.

 

“She gave us all a home when our families didn’t. It’s why we all do what we can for her. After Mel had Jenny, she stood by Mel more than the rest of us. But only because we were all acting like Jenny was some prize, not a baby who needed the parents to get along. I’m not saying everything Deb does is the right thing, but like you said, her intentions are at least to help,” She told me, before looking confused. “I just realized you changed the subject,” She said, smiling.

 

“Which is why I still want my sister and mom to be there when I get married,” I told her.

 

“I wanted my sister and parents to be a part of my commitment ceremony with Mel. For once I wanted them to be happy for me, so I get why you do,” She told me.

 

“I’ll have my grandparents there, and there isn’t any reason not to invite my mom,” I told her, deciding it would be enough.

 

Lindsay and I finished shopping and I drove to the house. Brian and Gus were watching TV together. Daphne had been hanging out with Lawrence since they met, but Brian mentioned she stopped by. I went upstairs to my studio, planning to dump more shit on the already messy floor. Only to see someone had cleaned it up. I know I might have screamed in horror that I could see the counters and the floor, but well, elves really don’t exist. Which means someone was cleaning up in here. I glared at the Anal Avenger when he walked in, but he shook his head, not taking the blame for this atrocity.

 

“I wanted it clean, but I really didn’t know what to do with your mess,” Brian told me.

 

“So what? You let some minion come in here and deal with it, or did you find elves?” I asked.

 

“Elves?” Brian looked at me like I’d lost my mind. “I don’t think Daphne and your sister would like being called Elves. Well, unless Orlando Bloom played their master while they cleaned away,” Brian joked, pretending it wasn’t a big deal that Molly was here.

 

For a second I sort of got lost in a fantasy of what Brian and I could do with Orlando Bloom’s blond sexy elf ears. But let it go for the important, well, sort of important part. Okay, the part that had my sister and Brian in the same house. Which might have topped the fantasy, but really didn’t since all I could think about was showing Brian that he and I could do a little elf play. Mind out of the gutter was a must, so I could get to my sister and her being here in my house without Brian killing her.

 

“Why was Molly here?” I asked, not wanting to believe my sister actually did something for me.

 

“She tried to find a way to undo the mess she helped to create with your father and Paula. Only once a story like that takes off, no one wants to admit they might have been duped into printing the wrong story, without any proof Paula is lying, and your Dad’s family backing it up. She couldn’t get anyone to listen to her when what she was saying contradicted what she’d already said. She went to Daphne and Lawrence to see if she could help and Daphne dragged her here to talk to me. Apparently your sister couldn’t take the mess you made and started cleaning it up,” Brian told me.

 

“She’s a neat freak like you,” I mumbled.

 

“She also thinks like you and decided how to go about proving the truth,” Brian told me.

 

“Something she could have done sooner,” I told him, playing the devil’s advocate.

 

“At least she’s trying to do it. Justin, she’s seeing what she did, give her a chance to show you,” Brian told me, pulling me down to sit on my clean sofa.

 

“You never liked her, but now you're willing to give her a chance?” I asked.

 

“For you, yes I would. My family never even tried, but even if they did, it wouldn’t matter to me. I found a family that gave me the things I needed and could let go of the idea of wanting the things they couldn’t be for me. It’s why I can walk away from them without feeling anything about it. You only had Molly and your grandparents. And while Molly did things I didn’t like, you still love her. Only now you know how to put limits on the relationship she walked all over, and she knows she can’t keep doing it if she expects to have not only you, but our children in her life. She and Gus got along while you were out, apparently kids are her weakness,” Brian told me.

 

“She always wanted a house full of kids. I just don’t know if I can forgive her for the way she reacted to you,” I told him.

 

“Jealousy isn’t easy on anyone. One thing I get is that your sister didn’t want to share you, something I don’t like the idea of either,” He told me.

 

“But if Orlando Bloom ever agreed to play elf for us, that should be the exception,” I joked.

 

“She also got Paula to take the test, and admit she really didn’t know who the father was,” Brian said, ignoring my attempts to change the subject.

 

“How?”

 

“Sounds like she dragged her in by the hair, but it's likely Paula sees her cash cow, Craig, isn’t going to deliver, and is getting out before everyone turns on him. Molly also got out of Paula that she isn’t even sure if your dad is the baby’s father. It’s going to come out that there are possibly a few kids who’s paternity results were changed to avoid the mess that comes with screwing around, which your dad helped Lawrence to find out by trying to suggest they use the same doctor for DNA testing. Which isn’t our problem. How do you feel about what Molly did?” He asked me.

 

“I want to find a way to have her in our lives, my mom too, if I can,” I tol him.

 

“Then I’ll do what I can for the guy who admitted he loved me before his little sister met me,” He told me, making me groan that he found out about it.

 

“She’s so dead for telling you,” I told him.

 

“I might not have agreed that I loved you then, but I can say I love you now,” Brian said, kissing me.

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

It was the day I was getting married and my mind was clear of doubts. My only thoughts were on how lucky I was that Brian never gave up on us. How he never questioned anything about me, just went along with me, giving me what I needed to see that he was what I needed. I might have said I loved him, but at the time it was lust, not love. Love happened later for both of us. It’s why I didn’t doubt that we’d grow old and gray watching our family grow, together. It’s something Molly said when I had gone to talk to her. She could see he was important to me, and it scared her. She wasn’t excusing what she did, just trying to explain what she was feeling. Molly didn’t show up for the wedding dressed to impress. She didn’t care if anyone looked at her and told me that for once she wanted it to be about me. My mom asked to talk to me, and Brian whispered in my ear to give her a chance. Which was why I did, and Brian ran off with Molly and Gus, giving my mom and me time alone. Pop and Nana let me know that after she and I talked, if I wanted her gone, they’d send her away. Mom knew they weren’t joking when Pop told her, because he didn’t threaten, he followed through.

 

“They were always trying to get it through my head not to repeat their mistakes with me. Only, I did, with you. I ignored everything, wanting to pretend everything was perfect. I pretended I didn’t hear how your father really felt about you being gay. I pretended the men he was bringing to meet you were in your best interest. And when you walked away, I pretended it was because you didn’t understand your father was trying to look out for you. I stayed with your father as my punishment for letting him hurt you… No, I stayed because I didn’t want my parents to know I’d made a mistake. I stayed because they were never as proud of my life as they were of yours. Which makes it worse, because I was jealous of my own son. There was a time when I wanted to break free of the restraints I put on myself, not to care what anyone thought of me, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t be like my mother, defying convention and not letting other people’s opinions matter. Only, it cost me so much. It cost me you, and my self respect. I didn’t leave your father because he cheated, that was normal for us. I left because I wanted to find the woman I no longer was, the one who would have fought for you when your father tried to control you,” She told me.

 

“It must have been there, because you did fight him when you found out he was still trying, through Molly,” I told her, giving her something she needed to hear.

 

“Only I stayed and let him continue to drive you from our lives, once again pretending it was your fault. I understand why you haven’t even wanted to try,” She told me.

 

“I likely would still not want to, but Brian sees something in you worth my time. For him I would do anything, since he wants to do everything for me,” I answered.

 

“I’ve never felt that kind of love,” She admitted.

 

“I spent my life not wanting to feel it, because all I could see was the way you gave in to Dad. Only, Brian got past the wall I tried to keep between us, and I knew he wouldn’t want me to change who I was to be with him. I didn’t want to be like you, and now I know that being with someone doesn’t mean I have to change who I am. Brian would have stayed even if it meant chasing me around the world,” I told her.

 

“You did change though, because you stopped,” She said, wincing when it sounded judgemental.

 

“It’s the only thing that changed. But it was because in the end it was what I wanted, a home. Something I never really had growing up in the Taylor family. Something you didn’t have growing up either. So what you did hurt, because in order for me to have you in my life, it came with expectations and conditions. I want my children to know that nothing they do or become will ever change that they are loved and important to me. It’s why I don’t care what the sex of the baby is, because there are no expectations or conditions my child will have to meet in order for me to love him or her. Which is something I learned from Brian; he loves his son in the way every child should have. He doesn’t let the things that made it impossible to see Gus, hurt Gus. He never blamed Lindsay and Mel, but made Gus understand that they all loved him and made mistakes. It’s what I need from you, to know you can love me even when what I do isn’t what you approve of,” I told her.

 

“All I can do is show you. I’d like to walk you to Brian. It gives me hope that maybe there are more like him in the world, and maybe we can break the curse of being a Taylor,” She told me.

 

“I was never a Taylor, but maybe we can find the Marshall inside of you,” I told her.

 

BRIAN (the night before)

 

Daphne, Ben, Drew, and Blake took off with Justin, while I got stuck with Mikey, Emmett, and Ted. Before we went out, Deb asked to speak to me alone. Mikey snickered, saying at least he avoided the marriage talk with her. Like everyone does for Deb, I indulged her need to mother me.

 

“I think we’re past the sex talk,” I joked.

 

“I think you were way past me in that area when we met,” She answered, laughing, before getting serious. “I want to say that Justin couldn’t have picked a better person to tie his life to. That through all the bullshit you had to hear from us, none of us ever believed you were anything but a good man. I know at one time I tried to help you find a way to have your family in your life, but it was only wanting you to have it all,” She told me.

 

“I know Mom. I know everything you did was just you hoping for all of us to be happy,” I told her, wiping the tears off her face.

 

“It was also selfish. I wanted my son to know there was more to life than what I showed him. You did that for him, and he found Ben. You gave him a reason to let go of you, and find the love I always wanted for him. Now I’m here thanking you for finding the love I wanted for you,” She told me, smiling through her tears.

 

“I waited my whole life for someone like him,” I answered.

 

“Do an old lady a favor and find what it took Carl to show me. Love him, support him, and make me babies to spoil,” She asked.

 

“Gus would love someone to take over the cheek pinchings for him,” I joked.

 

“You know I love you,” She said.

 

“It’s in everything you do for me. Now let me take the boys out for our last night as us,” I told her, kissing her cheek.

 

We made it to the bar Mikey had looked up in a travel guide. Guys were everywhere, meeting up, looking for a trick, and in general having fun. I fended off the advances as they came and tried, even Ted got hit on as he went to get drinks. Mikey, apparently drunk on a few shots, decided to give me the marriage talk, since he was the authority among us. Ted and Emmett both giggled as Mikey tried to be serious, drunk off his ass.

 

“Being mar *hic*… married means the end of our childhood. We’re adults now… Jesus, look at that guy’s ass… Anyway, there’s things you have to give up… I didn’t think that was possible,” Mikey continued, seeing a guy on the bar bend over and kiss a guy through his legs.

 

“Focus. And yes, some guys are flexible,” Emmett said, snapping his fingers at Mikey when he couldn’t look away.

 

“Right. Right... um you think Ben would like it… never mind. So like I was saying... What was I saying?” Mikey asked.

 

“Something about giving up?” Ted questioned, before taking another shot.

 

“No, Brian can’t give up, Justin fits with us. Oh wait, it was that life isn’t going to be the same again. I mean you have a kid on the way, and all,” Mikey said, like any of us understood what he was talking about.

 

“I already have a kid, remember?” I asked him.

 

“But this baby will be different. He or she is about you wanting it, not doing it to give us what we wanted,” Emmett told me.

 

“For the first time, you love the guy,” Mikey said, with a touch of sadness at what could have been, even when I never saw it the same way.

 

“Mikey, I love you, but it was just not in us to be more,” I told him.

 

“I know. And if Ben hadn’t come into my life, I think I would have hated Justin for it. Only, he’s everything you needed, something I wasn’t capable of being for you. So I want to toast you for not letting anything deter you from finding someone to love as much as I love Ben. Hopefully, Ben will get that by being with him, I don’t care what I gave up to be the one he loves. You’re lucky, because Justin sees that,” Mikey said, not seeing Ben standing there. 

 

I could see in Ben’s face that he was finally getting that Mikey didn’t regret anything that came with being with him. I looked around for Justin, and Ben tilted his head at the bar. Justin was standing with Daphne and Molly as a guy felt him up. I got up to kill the toucher, only to hear the guy saying he wanted to have a baby too. Justin smiled, looking down at the bump he’d been bitching about, then smiled at me when I walked over.

 

“So, other than carting the rest around to get their party on, my night was spent being felt up,” Justin joked.

 

“And being hit on. It’s like some big turn on to guys,” Daphne said, giggling.

 

“Please, Justin just has to turn on the innocent look and they all flock around him. I tried, but all it got me was a bunch of losers thinking they needed to be my daddy,” Molly said, laughing at Justin’s look of horror that his baby sister might not be so innocent.

 

“Relax, the only good thing having Dad around was him running off anyone who might interest me,” She told us.

 

Which only said Craig was waiting until Molly could be of use by staying innocent. Which we could deal with some other time. I kissed Justin, to keep him from likely flying to kill Craig. Justin’s hands were all over me, and he whispered we should leave.

 

“Oh no you don’t, he can wait. You have the rest of your life to screw like bunnies,” Daphne said, loud enough that the whole bar could hear her.

 

“I invited Lawrence to come. In fact, he’s likely checking in to the hotel right now,” I told her. 

 

“Sorry Justin, naked time,” Daphne said, running in the wrong direction for the door.

 

“I’ll just make sure she finds her way to naked time,” Molly said, taking off after Daphne.

 

“So Mr Kinney, what shall we do?” Justin asked, smirking when he felt proof of what I wanted to do.

 

Justin and I both turned to watch the horror of karaoke and the fact that Ben’s voice was as bad as Mikey’s. I’m sure if the singer of ‘Lifehouse’ ever heard Ben’s version of ‘I’m falling even more’, they would be ready to cry. The only thing that saved it for me was when Justin sang along with him, while looking at me.

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

BRIAN

 

For the first time in my life the new suit I was wearing wasn’t as important as standing next to Justin, knowing we’d soon belong to each other completely. It was the dance we’d been doing from the first day we met and kept meeting. Being married wasn’t something I ever thought I’d do. But I’d never wanted someone the way I wanted Justin. We were standing next to a cliff, with the ocean stretching out as far as we could see. A beautiful view, but not the one I cared about. I wanted to say the right words this time, something that I’d spent the night trying to come up with, but not feeling they were enough for him. I’d spent my life always knowing what to say, how to phrase my words for the best impact, but there just weren’t words that were enough for the man I was about to marry. So I let it go and just told him what it meant to me that we were going to walk this path together and build a family together.

 

“When we started this path, I wasn’t looking at forever with you- just right now. Only, in the year since we met and found ways to spend time together, my views on everything changed. I no longer wanted the freedom you were willing to give me, I just wanted you. The last day, before I thought we would once again separate until you called me again, I found I didn’t want to continue what we were doing. I wanted everything having you in my life could bring, and when you told me we’d created another person for me to love, I knew it was time for you to understand that you’d managed to do something I didn’t know was possible. You made me want all the things I didn’t think were possible. I wanted to belong to only one person, and for that person to belong only to me.” I told him.

 

“I let myself believe you were just a fun diversion, but along the way I fell in love with you. I fought it, only because there were so few examples of relationships that I saw that were equal. Only, every time you came we grew stronger, and you never once treated me like I wasn’t your equal. I worried about things that if I had trusted in what I knew about you, I would have known it wasn’t the man who never judged me, but who believed in me. Seeing the love I’ve watched you give to Gus, I know our child will grow up a better person by having you in it’s life. I want to stand by you the way you stood by me, and show our children that love is something beautiful, which they’ll see because of the way we love each other,” Justin told me.

 

The rest of the ceremony was drowned out, and when I placed the ring on his finger and he placed mine, we barely let the minister declare us married before we sealed it with a kiss.

 

 

JUSTIN

 

Everyone cheered as we walked to the tents for the luncheon. I could only think how it felt different; the ring on my finger, the man at my side, and the people who were only there because they were happy for us. Growing up the way I did, everything was really about connections. But the connection here was that I loved Brian. It didn’t matter who his family was or what I could gain from the alliance. Brian gave me a family to love, along with a son to spoil and likely a life most people can only hope for someday. It was everything my father couldn’t understand, and only made the day even better. It also made me realize that at one time my mother might have thought the same thing about my father. Something I wouldn’t know because by the time I was old enough to understand anything, all I saw was what they were like years later. I looked at my mother sitting by herself, away from everyone. She’d shown us she supported us, but sat apart from everyone like she was still punishing herself.

 

“I’ll be here, ready for the first dance with my husband,” Brian whispered in my ear.

 

I kissed him for always seeming to know what I’m thinking and walked over to my mother who looked surprised when I sat with her.

 

“You picked a beautiful place, almost a fairytale.” She told me.

 

“I’ve always liked it. In fact, I usually rented a place close by so Brian and I would have this view when he showed up,” I told her, wanting to include her in the life she wasn’t apart of.

 

“So how does it feel to be married?” She asked.

 

“Pretty great, but you must have felt that way when you married Dad,” I said to her.

 

“I had stars in my eyes, and believed he loved me. For the first few years I would have told you we had the perfect relationship. Maybe if we’d taken the time you and Brian did, we might have avoided the mistake our marriage became. But you’re right, it did feel pretty great when I thought he really loved me,” She told me.

 

“I hope one day you find it again, with someone who will give you the things Brian gives me. But until then, how about we dance?” I asked her, standing up and holding out my hand.

 

Deb whistled when my mom and I took the dance floor. We danced together, laughing the way I remembered doing when my mom taught me how to dance. Everyone slowly joined us, and when Pop cut in, I handed my mom off to him. Brian handed my grandmother off to Emmett, and we danced our first married dance, eventually letting Gus join us. I looked around as Mel and Lindsay were making out, Ted and Blake were whispering to each other, and Deb let Carl whirl her around her boys. Then laughed when Daphne left Lawrence with Michael and she and Molly danced together. Ben saved Lawrence and took Michael, who seemed to only really be able to dance with Ben leading. I sat down as Brian danced with Deb, and ended up with Jenny sitting next to me, covered in cake. I looked over at the cake we hadn’t cut and smiled at the chunk missing from the bottom. By the time we all sat down, I was ready to be alone with Brian. Emmett, being the smart man he was, got us to cut the cake for pictures, before helping us escape the crowd.

 

“Don’t worry I’ll keep everyone busy for you two. Congratulations,” Emmett told us, as we walked to the villa we were going to stay in for the next few days.

 

Brian and I barely got through the door dressed, and barely closed the door before we were naked. I pushed him against the door, kissing down his chest. He watched me as I kissed and licked my way down his body, and his head fell back when I took him in my mouth. I loved looking up at him, he couldn’t keep his eyes open as the feeling of my warm wet mouth surrounded him. He loved when I ran my tongue around him, when I held still while he fucked my mouth, and he loved my fingers teasing his crease. One of the things I discovered about Brian was that he liked that with me he could give up control, let me play in areas that only I got to play in. When my finger breached him, he didn’t stand still but moved to fuck himself on my fingers. I could tell he wanted more and I let him fall from my mouth. I didn’t even have to say anything as he turned and spread his legs. Running my hands down his back, I spread him and used my tongue and fingers as he reached back and held my head. I waited until he took three finger easily before I stopped and pulled him with me to the bedroom.

 

“Seriously?” Brian said, laughing at the bed covered in flower petals, and a basket with every toy we could want.

 

“Get the toys,” I tell him as I yanked the bedspread off. “Pretty?” I guessed, but really, we weren’t the ‘flowers in our asses’ kind of guys.

 

Brian smirked as he held up a butt plug, and I grabbed the lube, opening it and letting Brian do the honors. Which he did rather well, by opening me up with his fingers; biting, sucking, and licking all my favorite places which only made me happy to be filled before I filled him. 

 

Now you might think I'm a whiny bitch, since hello, Brian was all for me laying back while he played, but it was more that I wanted to be in charge. Only, Brian tends to last forever; so in his head you get the multiple orgasm, then it's his turn when you’re too boneless to do all the things he does for you. I felt for once it should be all about him, but of course my head said to shut the hell up and enjoy the privilege of marrying the master of all things sex. I suffered through the mind blowing feel of his mouth on my dick, and the use of the plug to stimulate my prostate while he sucked one of my balls and then the other. As I came, he just couldn’t leave me to my boneless happy state, nope, he pulled the plug and replaced it with himself, making me scream because I was already too sensitive. I couldn’t move since he held my hands above my head and thrust hard and fast into me. Brian seemed to think it was a sign to go faster when I whimpered because my body really couldn’t take any more. He slammed into me twice more and released into the condom I didn’t even realize he’d managed to put on.

 

“You can thank me in an hour,” Brian said, collapsing on top of me. 

 

“Seriously?” I said, pushing him off me.

 

Brian turned on his back, grabbing a pillow and closing his eyes, like I really needed an hour. I saw the smirk and decided he was going to die a slow, very happy death, when I woke up.

 

 

BRIAN

 

I woke up to Justin massaging my back, and was impressed that he’d managed to tie me up while I was asleep without me knowing about it. I thought about complaining, but forgot all about it when I felt the tongue lick my crease, and the fingers making their way down my back to tease around my rim, before one by one, three fingers breached me. I turned my head to see Justin looking around him at the toys Emmett left us. I liked them all and left it up to him what he wanted to do. He poured more lube on his fingers and then on the anal beads, then began filling me with them. Then levered himself under me, taking me in his mouth. He stayed still as I fucked his mouth, and pulled one bead out at a time as I thrust into his mouth. I barely made it to the last bead, but persevered, and filled his mouth when I heard the beads hit the floor.

 

Justin wasted no time, likely wanting to pay me back for not letting him do what he wanted earlier. It was my present to him, since we both said we wouldn’t buy each other wedding gifts. 

 

Justin grabbed a condom, spread my cheeks and teased me by rubbing his dick around my rim. He was driving me crazy with his shallow thrusts, just pressing the head in then retreating. Everytime I tried to push back he would pull away, which he knew drove me crazy. He wanted me begging before he would give me what I wanted.

 

“Fuck me,” I ordered.

 

“I think you forget who’s in charge of this ass,” Justin told me, slapping me hard enough to leave a mark.

 

You know I just had to show him. So I got out of the ropes and yanked him onto his back on the bed. He laughed, then moaned as I lowered myself onto him. I rode Justin as he drove into me from below. Until Justin, the only other experience I had at bottoming left me only wanting to be a top. It was why I made the effort to take care of my partners in the past. Only, Justin showed me bottoming was something to enjoy, because he cared as much as I did about the other person. And he could hold off just like me, so we came within moments of each other.

 

Afterwards, I held him, with my hand around the child growing inside of him, and dreaming of all the things ahead for our family. 

 

Chapter 29 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

When I opened the door, I was just thrilled there weren’t twenty people shouting questions. I didn’t care when my grandparents looked down at my stomach, which normally no one would notice, but I was wearing an old shirt that fit like a glove in my pre-baby days.

 

“I can’t believe you answered the door like that,” My grandmother admonished.

 

At that point, I deemed the conversation over and slammed the door in their faces, walking off to look for something to eat. Brian was walking down the stairs and stopped as the doorbell rang over and over, looking at me.

 

I shrugged, not really caring if they sat on the doorstep all night ringing the bell. “They didn’t like how I was dressed, I decided they shouldn't have to see it,” I told him.

 

“Then they should have called and told you they expected you to dress for their visit,” Brian said, following me to the kitchen.

 

I opened the freezer, smiling at all the choices; which I had Deb to thank for. I could actually cook, just didn’t really want to. I figured that until I had to there was no reason to make my life more difficult when everyone wanted to mother me. Brian grabbed the juice, looking at me as the doorbell was held down.

 

“If I hadn’t seen your grandparents, I’d swear it was Mikey at the door. While I hate to agree with them, you do need to get dressed. Cynthia wanted to meet with you about some of the employees and problems that stem from your father’s style of leadership,” Brian told me.

 

The honeymoon was over and the real world was waiting for us. We’d received the results of Paula’s test and, no surprise, the baby isn't mine, but it is related to me. At least Paula hadn’t lied completely, but she told Lawrence she didn’t want Craig to know, with the shit he was still trying to do. 

 

Craig spent all his time trying to backtrack, and when that didn’t work he turned the loss of his company into me punishing him for only worrying about a child he was fooled into believing would be his future grandchild. Leaving the possibility it was his unsaid. When no one would print his version, he brought up his parents losing everything. He even got them to make it my fault they lost everything. His cronies were still backing him, since they lost their cushy positions when I took over the company. It really pissed them off when I put Cynthia in charge, since none of them believed a woman should be out of the kitchen. I planned to meet with Cynthia so we could start weeding out the problems, but when I woke up I really didn’t want to do anything but lay in bed with Brian all day.

 

I groaned. I really didn’t want to get involved in anything to do with Taylor Electronics. But unlike Cynthia, I knew what the problems were years ago. My father tended to hire based on friendship. Overlooking any problems that would arise from hiring Skippy into a management position just because his daddy asked my dad to help with the problems caused by Skippy when he first found out that money didn’t just magically appear. Then, when Skippy fucked up, he blamed it on the poor sap who should have had the job. Granted, it would be a chance to deal with one problem I’d left alone when I looked at the list of the managers. I didn’t mention it to Cynthia, because if he was actually doing his job then I’d leave him alone. It’s just that I knew my father and doubted he hired Chris Hobbs because he was qualified for anything other than the possibility of connecting the Hobbs to the Taylors. So far Chris’s dad managed to stay clean through the mess and was still welcoming my father to his circle of friends. My mother told me they blamed her for my father’s downfall. Apparently believing if she’d stayed the obedient wife they felt she should have been then none of this would have happened. 

 

I ran upstairs to dress as Brian sat on the bed reading over reports. “I can drive myself,” I reminded him.

 

“I’m sure you can, but since you agreed we’d go to Mikey’s dinner party with the idiots tonight, I didn’t see any reason we shouldn’t go together, so we could escape together,” Brian told me.

 

“Remind me again why I agreed to this?” I asked, not even remembering saying we’d go.

 

“Because you didn’t believe Emmett, Ted, Blake, Lindsay, Mel, or Deb when they told you all about Marve and Eddy.” Brian reminded me.

 

“Actually I remember now, Hunter begged us to save him from them,” I told him, grabbing my shoes.

 

“Just remember, you agreed,” Brian told me, making me really want to meet the neighbors.

 

Brian didn’t let us avoid my grandparents, but walked us out the front of the house, telling me to go to the car. I decided to stand by him as his husband and let him speak for us.

 

“Unless you're here to congratulate Justin and myself, then you aren’t welcome at our home,” Brian told them.

 

“We just want Justin to give Craig what’s rightfully his,” My grandfather told Brian.

 

“So he can fuck it up the way he already has? Right now the only thing saving Taylor Electronics is that Justin doesn’t see a business as something you play at, or as a whorehouse for his and his friends enjoyment. Justin, and the people Justin trusts, are making sure there will still be a Taylor Electronics in the future. He isn’t responsible for your stupidity in giving your idiot son your life savings, and he isn’t going to rescue you from your own stupidity unless you do what we ask. You want help? Help yourselves by letting Craig drown; not by handing what little money you have left over to a son who is bankrupting you,” Brian told them.

 

“We’re going to lose our home,” My grandmother said, looking at me.

 

“Actually you won’t. See your grandson, the one you treat like shit? The one you talk down to? He might not like either of you, but unlike his sperm donor, he won’t leave you stranded,” Brian told them.

 

“I won’t?” I joked, not wanting them to know what Brian and I did.

 

“You have your house, and enough money to keep you comfortable. What you no longer have is any way to support Craig Taylor,” Brian told them, as they look confused.

 

“What he’s saying is we are willing to make sure you both keep your house, and are able to take care of yourselves, but the minute you help Craig, you’ll be evicted and left hoping Craig cares enough to bother with you. If either of you help with his smear campaign, that ends our help,” I told them.

 

“He’s still your father,” My grandmother admonished me.

 

“Pop is the only father in my life. He let me be me, without conditions. Something I never had being a Taylor,” I told them.

 

 

CYNTHIA

 

I agreed to this I reminded myself as Chris Hobbs sat in front of me, leering at me. He seemed to think he was safe. But unlike all the other idiots Craig hired, he still acted as if Craig was in charge. His leering stopped the minute Justin came through the door. Chris seemed to get uncomfortable and tried to make himself invisible when he saw him.

 

“I read over the list you sent and agree with the ones you want to let go. There are actually a few that I wanted to talk to you about...” Justin told me, turning when he realized someone was there with us. “Chris, still wishing you were straight?” Justin smirked.

 

“Still wishing I was queer like you?” Chris snapped back.

 

“Actually no. You weren’t that good. Apparently you aren’t good at managing one of the locations either, from what I read,” Justin told him, leaning on my desk.

 

I was really enjoying the way Chris squirmed as Justin picked up the folder that described the problems at the location Chris was playing at instead of working.

 

“Why are you working for Taylor Electronics instead of your father’s company?” Justin asked.

 

“I wasn’t going anywhere with my father’s company. Craig offered me a chance to start at the top,” Chris answered.

 

“Which would have made sense if you did more than sleep in your office and use petty cash as your lunch money,” I told him.

 

“Craig had no problem with what I was doing,” Chris told me.

 

“Why would he? You were just doing what he did. You seem to forget he's no longer in charge. Which means you’re expected to start showing growth. Which isn't the increase in the size of your ass from sleeping at work,” Justin told him.

 

“He also put it in my contract that I had my job for as long as I wanted it,” Chris smirked as he told Justin.

 

“Yes, he did. But he didn’t have the authority to do it. He wasn’t the owner, and was acting in a position he didn’t hold, since he put the company in my name. Which means, in order to keep your job, or in your case not, all the trust fund babies work now. It’s time to understand the days of Craig Taylor’s mismanagement are over,” Justin told him.

 

“I need this job.” Chris admitted, not happily.

 

“Nothing you were doing says you do,” I told him.

 

Justin walked over to the mini fridge grabbing something to drink, and there was no mistaking the look on Chris’s face. I’d seen it on Brian’s every time Justin was around.

 

“Working here won’t make him give a shit about you,” I told Chris.

 

Justin turned, looking disgusted by the idea of Chris, which made Chris shrink even more.

 

“I’ve spent longer than I want to in your presence, so why not make this easier and go back and mooch off your Dad,” Justin told him, turning to me. “As I said before, everything you want to do, I agree with,” Justin told me, walking out of my office.

 

“I can’t go back to my dad,” Chris told me in a small voice.

 

“If you’d done your job, you wouldn’t have had to,” I told him.

 

He got up, slinking out the door and making me wonder why. But I had more people to fire and promote so I put it out of my mind.

 

 

EMMETT

 

Every time Michael has thrown these dinners, we’ve all managed to avoid them. Justin, being the sweet man he is, fell for Michael’s usual whining until he got what he wanted. I personally don’t have a problem with Monty and Eli, but they have a problem with me, and pretty much anyone who doesn’t try to fit into the mold of pretending they’re straight while taking it up the butt.

 

Brian and Justin arrived as the guests of honor, and Monty and Eli tried to welcome Justin while staying far away from Brian. I could see why they would want to welcome Justin. He fit the mold they believed in, at least until you knew him. Ben likely talked about Justin, describing him the way Ben thought he was, at least until he opened his eyes and realized how little he actually knew about Justin. He at least now admitted that he didn’t. It was weird to find out that Ben wasn’t the secure man we thought he was. He could play it off, but in the end he wasn’t the man I once saw as Brian without the tricks. I respected Ben more because he was more human than the man we thought we knew. I realized he needed to feel more included in the gang than he’d been in the past, because it might have let us avoid this dinner.

 

Everything started out okay, and Ben managed to steer Monty and Eli away from monopolizing the conversation. It wasn’t until Brian came up behind Justin and ran his hands under Justin’s shirt that we started to see old Monty and Eli weren’t as together as they ran around telling everyone they were. Monty’s eyes followed the movement of Brian’s hand, and when Justin turned to kiss Brian, Monty was licking his lips watching them. He didn’t notice Eli’s glare, at him watching where Brian’s hands were.

 

“I think Monty is going to be in the doghouse,” Drew whispered to me.

 

I looked at Eli, who didn’t miss where his husband’s attention went to. None of us missed the way Eli looked at Justin and Brian as if it was their fault Monty had a wandering eye.

 

“It’s things like that, which cause people to see us wrong,” Eli whispered to Ben.

 

“Like what?” Ben asked, since, like the rest of us, what we were seeing was two men madly in love with each other.

 

“The pawing and showing off. No one wants to see it,” Eli said, rolling his eyes.

 

“Kissing your partner is showing off?” Drew asked.

 

“I think what Eddy has a problem with is anything that shows the world we are proud and GAY,” Teddy told him.

 

“I have no problem with showing affection or being gay, but why cause people to be uncomfortable with PDA’s when they should be reserved to the privacy of your home, and the name is Eli,” He told Teddy.

 

I wanted to laugh when Brian got more aggressive with Justin, ignoring Eli. Michael came in smiling before kissing Ben and telling everyone to get their butts to the table. Hunter came down, running to sit next to Brian. While I got the honor of being seated next to Eli. Drew snickered when Justin talked to everyone but Monty and Eli. He asked Hunter about school, and Michael if he wanted to get together and do something with Gus and Jenny. He then asked Ben about his latest topic in his class.

 

Brian on the other hand, talked to Teddy, including me to talk about planning his next launch. Drew looked past Eli and Monty to ask Blake about the graduation at his rehab and offered to help in any way Blake needed him to. Michael commented here and there, trying to include Eli and Monty. Eli cut Blake off, which didn’t go unnoticed by any of us.

 

“I think as a community we should focus our service to helping those who represent the best in our community,” Eli told us.

 

“The people at the rehab have made mistakes, but are doing what they can to become the kind of people you’re describing,” Teddy told him, not happy about the slight to Blake’s work.

 

“Not all the people everyone thinks represent the best in any community are who you think they are. At least the people Blake helps want to become better people,” Hunter tells him.

 

“Yes, but we aren’t taken seriously, and won’t be. Please understand I’m only using this as an example; but take what was going on with Justin. Instead of quietly handling the situation he found himself in, it was splashed across the headlines. Then to make matters worse, people read that not only was he accused of getting the model pregnant, but he was also pregnant himself. It just reinforced the idea that we aren’t responsible, as well as promiscuous,” Eli stated, looking less confident as he saw the glares coming from all directions. “I didn’t mean Justin was any of those things, but nothing presented to the public showed the smart businessman or brilliant artist; just that he must still be maintaining his irresponsible lifestyle. A lifestyle that all his previous acquaintances had no problem giving comments about. Along with the fact that Justin and Brian are together, and all of us know what Brian’s life is like. If they’d each lived their lives the way Monty and I have talked about, then none of what was said would have been believed,” Eli now had the title ‘Foot in Mouth’. Shit, Michael lost his crown.

 

“I doubt it would have mattered if either of them was a choir boy, the real truth is that people love to believe the trash that gets printed. Although I am surprised you lowered yourself to reading tabloid fodder, since it should be beneath your notice. What people think of Brian or Justin doesn’t matter to either of them. They know who and what they are. Which is likely why you have a problem with them. Because they don’t follow the life plan you think all gay men and women have to follow, yet, both individually and together, they’re the most successful men at this table,” Ben told them, making me want to clap.

 

“Yet, all anyone talks about is their prowess in bed,” Monty said, as if he suddenly remembered his role wasn’t the middle of a Justin and Brian sandwich.

 

“Says a lot about you and Eli doesn’t it? Since neither of you are known for anything but the sticks up your asses,” Hunter told them.

 

“Hunter!” Michael scolded, as Hunter grumbled and went into the kitchen.

 

“It’s why I don’t bring my children to adult settings,” Eli told Michael.

 

“I was just reminding my son that Ben, Hunter, and I have a swear jar,” Michael said, glaring at Eli and Monty as Brian hands Hunter even more money.

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I was going stir crazy. Not a good thing for me. In the past, it made me want to get on a plane and change my scenery. Which, when I was alone and not pregnant was easily done. Brian didn’t want me dealing with Chris or my father at this moment. And so I’d painted until my fingers were cramping, and now was trying to decide what to do. I’d spent my life in meetings, building businesses, and generally keeping busy, so being idle was driving me crazy. Brian offered to let me help at Kinnetik, likely because it meant he could watch me and in general keep me from doing anything he felt was idiotic. Like showing up at the country club to piss off my father. Like I really planned to go to my version of hell when all I got were false smiles and welcomes, while they used my life for their amusement. If anyone was going to have fun with my life it should be me! Good God, I’m whining like everyone accuses Michael of doing.

 

Since Brian was at work, and Gus was hanging out with his sister, it left me BORED. Pop and Nana took my mom and Molly off with them on a business trip, to get them away from my father. Brian agreed, because he didn’t think my father was doing anything but retreating like the coward he is. At least until he found some other way to get at all of us. 

 

Which brings me back to Chris. What was my father’s scheme there? Other than the fact that Chris wasn’t going to win employee of the month, nothing was apparent. Cynthia already informed me that Chris didn’t get a clue after our talk, and took a vacation right after. She planned to have his dismissal papers waiting for him when he bothered to come back. I wanted to hunt him down and personally deliver them to him, but instead I started painting like a fiend when she reminded me she was in charge. Only now, like I said, I’M BORED, and alone, since Brian told me he’d be late tonight. It’s why I decided to paint, because I could lose hours doing it. I looked out the window and watched while the sun went down, hating that not only was I bored, but tired from doing nothing but sitting on my ass all day. Running a hand down my stomach when my child seemed to be reminding me that the sandwich hours ago wasn’t enough, I got up and decided to see what we could eat. Instead, I found someone who wanted to eat me standing in the kitchen in jeans and tee-shirt. I swear I’ll never get how nothing on Brian doesn’t look amazing. When Brian dressed in a suit, all I thought about was how to get him out of the suit… Of course the same was true when he looked like he did tonight, standing in the kitchen looking out the window in jeans and his tee-shirt. I stood there silently staring at the man who made me keep coming back to him.

 

“If you want dinner sit in a chair, if not, sit on the table.” Brian said, not turning around.

 

“Can I have both?” I asked.

 

“In what order?” He replied, turning to me.

 

I took off my clothes to show him what order I wanted, then sat on the table and waited as Brian stripped off his own, smiling when he revealed his preference was hard and ready. Brian was showing me he was in charge tonight, something each of us did when it suited us. I knew it was one of the things that made me keep calling. Our relationship wasn’t based off of a power struggle between us. I liked when Brian was the one in charge, and he liked it when I was. But there were nights like tonight where he wanted to be the one, and I didn’t fight it because it was what he needed from me. I leaned back on the table, my feet braced apart, opening myself for his perusal. Brian’s eyes caressed every inch of me, making me want to beg him to hurry up. Which he knew, and it made him take his time coming to me, letting me stare at the perfection that was him.

 

“A feast for the eyes. Your hands stay on the table,” Brian ordered, sitting in the chair in front of me.

 

Brian’s hands ran up my calves and down my thighs, before he took his time kissing behind where his hands had touched. When his hands stroked up my cock, he leaned in, trailing kisses around my thighs, then pushed them open further and trailed his tongue towards my rim, where he kissed and licked to tease out the moans he knew I couldn’t stop. His hands opened me further for the attack of his tongue, which had me squirming on the table, gripping the table to avoid grabbing his hair when I wanted him to go faster. Brian was in charge, and that meant if I tried to hurry him up he’d torture me longer before he finally gave me what I wanted. I watched as he proved once again that he understood my body in a way no one had before him. What made it different was seeing the lust in his eyes as he consumed me, like I was the meal he wanted on the table. When he removed his tongue it was only to replace it with his fingers as he swallowed my cock, making me pray this wouldn’t end before we got to the next part. To say what he did before was magic was an understatement. Brian sucked cock as if he was the master of the instrument he was using. Something he rarely did unless it was me, saying he was addicted to my taste and no one compared to it for him.

 

It was something we had in common, Brian’s taste was the one I enjoyed.

 

Brian stood as his hands lubed me in preparation for the next part of his symphony. It didn’t matter how many times I’d had him, the stretch and burn was always there, but he enjoyed the tightness wrapped around him and in turn it made the pleasure on his face my pleasure, as the fullness went from pain to ecstasy. Brain’s hazel eyes glazed over as he started to move, his pace punishing, but exactly what I wanted. He watched as I stroked myself in time with his thrusts, holding back until he saw my climax, then flooding me with his. We both laid there panting, with him kissing my stomach and licking up the mess I made. 

 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I sat at the table in robes while we ate. I didn’t regret cutting my meeting short, all my thoughts were on having Justin alone and knowing if I hadn’t gotten home early, then people would be here. Something I had yet to tell Justin. I wanted time where no one interrupted our lives, because eventually we wouldn’t have it. I loved Gus staying with us, and looked forward to the one we were waiting on, but I missed the times when it was just the two of us. I also wanted Justin to know that even with the changes that his body was going through, I still couldn’t resist him. I needed control tonight, because I was angry over the fact that things were normal, and once again Craig’s fuckups were going to add stress to Justin’s life. It wasn’t going to stay quiet when the country club exploded all over his life. Granted there was a bit of poetic justice to the whole thing. Craig’s mechanics brought to light something that signed his fate with the good old boys of the club. It made everything make sense, and would affect Justin’s life if he wanted it to.

 

The only reason I was willing to allow this was because one of the reasons Justin and I work is neither of us believe in hiding things from each other. Did I want to protect Justin from his father’s stupidity? Yes. But I also saw something in the guy who came to me wanting to talk to Justin. He didn’t show up expecting me to smooth is path to Justin, but because he wanted to make sure we were prepared when the secret came out.

 

“What?” Justin asked when I hadn’t said much while he ate.

 

“We have someone coming over in an hour,” I tell him.

 

“Is that why you came home early, when you said you’d be late?” Justin asked.

 

“I came home because coming home and spending time alone isn’t something we’ve been able to do as much lately,” I told him.

 

“You haven’t had a lot of free time. Me, I’ve done nothing,” He told me.

 

I knew Justin thought he was being lazy, but I saw the painting he spent the day on, and the fact that his studio was shining instead of it’s usual chaos. I didn’t bother to bring it up, since Justin’s life before was running from one country to the other, helping his grandfather take over the world.

 

“We need to talk about something I was told today,” I told him.

 

“Is it about the person you don’t seem to want to talk about?” He asked.

 

“I’m trying to figure out how to tell you about it. I’m still having a hard time understanding it,” I explained.

 

“I’m not going to like this am I?” Justin asked, pushing his plate away.

 

“Depends. Craig just lost all his allies, but in turn it explains why Chris was given a job,” I told him.

 

“Are you going to explain?” Justin asked.

 

“Chris found out your father was dipping into the wrong pond and used it to get away from his father, who wanted him to start from the bottom of the business,” I told him.

 

“I’ve never been a big fan of Samuel Hobbs, except in his business dealings. It’s about the only thing I respected about him. He knew his business would fail if he just handed out positions based on family. Even after his older son graduated from college, Nicholas still had to start from the bottom. He wanted them to understand the business from the inside out,” Justin told me. 

 

“Which Chris apparently ignored, assuming he wouldn’t have to do anything but be born a Hobbs. When Samuel practiced what he preached, Chris ran for greener pastures; Craig. Chris was happy as long your dad kept paying Chris the extras he was paying him when he controlled Taylor Electronics. When you took over there was nothing Craig could do to keep Chris from opening up a can of worms,” I told him.

 

“To do what?” Justin asked.

 

“Convince Chris’s father he should have the corner office, instead of the brother,” I told him.

 

“Samuel wouldn’t do it, because Nicholas, the oldest son, managed to increased their profits twenty percent since he was put in charge. His father would be an idiot to want to give it to Chris,” Justin tells me. “Wait... my father dipped into what pond?” Justin asked.

 

“Chris’s mother. Which your mother confirmed,” I told him.

 

“Is that why Pop wanted them out of town?” Justin asked.

 

“I think he wanted to give you space. He knows you're trying with both of them, but you aren’t ready to completely forgive Molly right now. After we talked, he thought it would be better to keep them away until it’s over,” I told him.

 

“Even if my father was messing around with Chris’s mother, it really doesn’t change anything does it? It’s never been a big secret that they all screw around. Hell, my father’s affairs were an open secret for years. Although he should have been smarter than to mess with the wife of his biggest ally,” Justin told me.

 

“It’s what Chis banked on, that your father would do anything to keep it a secret. And was fine when he didn’t run the risk of losing the gravy train he had before you took over,” I told him.

 

“If he thinks I’ll give a shit about keeping my father’s secret, he’s been hiding his head in the sand after the last one Craig tried. Plus, it’s not going to change Samuel’s mind on how he runs his business,” Justin told me.

 

“He still believes only the family should run the business,” I told him.

 

“They all do, but only the first born male. Which Nicholas is, and why Craig didn’t do the smart thing and put it in Molly’s name… Why would Chris think the affair would get him what he wants?” Justin asked, before catching on.

 

“Because it would mean Nicholas would lose the one thing that is important to Samuel, an heir running his company,” I confirmed to him.

 

“Who's coming over?” Justin asked.

 

“Nicholas Hobbs,” I told him.

 

“What does he want?” Justin asked, pushing his plate further away.

 

“First, tell me if you want to meet him. Then we can talk about whether he can come into our house,” I told him.

 

“We know each other; at least, we’ve talked business before. He’s about the only one in that family I didn’t think was a total asshole,” Justin answered.

 

“He has a high opinion of you too,” I joked.

 

“What does he want?” He asked me, again.

 

“From what he told me, to get to know a brother he could respect. But he also knows unless you want to meet him, the answer is no,” I told him.

 

“Has he talked to Craig?” Justin asked.

 

“He doesn’t want anything to do with Craig, after hearing what he did to you,” I tell him.

 

“Or he and Craig are trying something,” Justin commented, playing devil's advocate.

 

“Do you want to talk to him?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know.” Justin answered.

 

“It doesn’t have to change anything for you. If you don’t want a relationship with him, then talking to him won’t change that for you,” I told him.

 

“You want me to talk to him?” He asked.

 

“I want you to do what you want,” I told him.

 

“Does he want to talk to Molly too?” He asked.

 

“If he does, that has nothing to do with you meeting him,” I answered.

 

“He doesn’t, does he?” Justin asked, guessing what I didn’t say.

 

“All he knows is what he saw in the news, and that she was a part of the smear campaign. With what Chris is doing now, it doesn’t make him see Molly as any better than the way he sees Chris right now,” I tell him.

 

“How much of this is public right now?” Justin asked.

 

“None. Samuel commanded Nicholas to keep his mouth shut and deny the truth,” I told him.

 

“So, he shows up at your office and asks to see me?” Justin asked.

 

“Apparently he doesn’t see any reason to deny he’s related to you,” I told him.

 

“Is it strange, I want to meet him, but don’t at the same time?” Justin asked me.

 

“Meeting him isn’t going to change anything unless you want it to,” I told him.

 

“I know, and you already knew I’d say I wanted to,” Justin told me.

 

 

Chapter 31 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Brian let Nicholas in while I prepared myself to meet him. Which didn’t make sense since I have met him before, but not as my brother… half brother. Nicholas came in behind Brian, and was just as hesitant as I was to say anything. Brian got up and brought back juice for me and coffee for him and Nicholas. Somehow my scowl at Brian had Nicholas laughing.

 

“I remember being warned by a couple of colleagues not to be on the other side of Justin’s scowl,” Nicholas told us.

 

“The Anal Avenger over here only heard coffee wasn’t recommended, so nothing but juice and milk ever gets near me,” I told him, kissing Brian because he loved the baby as much as he did.

 

“I’m sure he’s just concerned about both of you,” Nicholas told me.

 

“When did you find out?” I asked, wanting to get to why he was here.

 

“My mother told me when Chris was born, but I didn’t know about Craig until after I graduated. I didn’t realize the way Samuel treated me wasn’t normal for him. When Chris was born my mother explained since I was seeing a totally different father when it came to Chris,” Nicholas told me, not wanting or asking for any sympathy.

 

“He still put you as head the company, even knowing the truth. Why?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m good at what I do. Even as much as Samuel hates me for not being his, he doesn’t hate the money I make for his company. I know he started the ‘ground up’ idea hoping I’d fail and Chris would succeed. But he forgot that unlike Chris, he pushed me harder and made me understand I should appreciate everything he allowed me to have by not denouncing me in front of everyone,” He told us.

 

“I can’t figure out how he could throw support around my father,” I told him.

 

“Because my mother never told him who my father was; just that she was paying him back for all his indiscretions. And he never asked, probably hoping it was one of the tennis pros. Chris only found out because he overheard my mother and Craig argue about telling me, then kept it to himself all these years,” Nicholas told us.

 

“Why say something now?” I asked.

 

“He wants what he thinks is his birthright. He showed up to dinner, expecting Samuel to let him start at the top, after complaining about having to work if he expected to keep his job at Taylor Electronics. Samuel might not like what you did to Craig, but he also knows a company isn’t something to play with if you want it to survive. Chris didn’t like being told he wasn’t the perfect son Samuel made him believe he was, then my mother added that it was time for Chris to grow up and do what I did and earn his way to the top. At that point, I think he mouthed off because he was pissed at her for comparing him to me. He told Samuel maybe Craig should have been his father too, since the son he put in charge wasn’t a Hobbs but a Taylor. When I didn’t look surprised and my mother didn’t deny it, Samuel left. From what I heard he beat the shit out of Craig for daring to ask him for help after screwing his wife. Then he showed up at my apartment and ordered me to keep my mouth shut about it. He also told me if I wanted to keep my position, I wasn’t to associate with any Taylor,” He told us.

 

“Craig hasn’t come to you?” Brian asked.

 

“I made it clear when I found out he was my biological father that I wanted nothing to do with him. He’s a leech who married up when his connections weren’t high enough. I honestly didn’t want to like you when we met, because from everything I saw you were becoming just as bad as he was. It wasn’t until other colleagues started talking about you that I bothered to look past the things people were saying and find out that you were working your ass off, not partying your way across the globe. It made me laugh when your father complained about how you wasted your life when you were out there making a name for yourself in business. One that Craig couldn’t even begin to compete with,” Nicholas answered.

 

“You weren’t exactly sitting back and hiding behind the Hobbs name,” I commented.

 

“I knew eventually I would have to walk away from it. I didn’t go into the business thinking it was my legacy. Samuel wasn’t going to allow it. I wanted to learn enough to venture out on my own and make my own legacy,” He told me.

 

“What’s stopping you?” Brian asked him.

 

“I wanted to make sure my mother wouldn’t end up the loser when this all came out. I’ve seen what they did to Justin’s mother. I couldn’t let that happen to the only person who loved and supported me. She hasn’t always made the best decisions when it came to her life, but one thing she always did was make sure I knew she was there for me. I don’t need the Hobbs name anymore. Which is something that chaps the old man’s ass. It’s why he doesn’t want this to get out, because he knows when it comes down to it, the clients trust me to make sure they aren’t being cheated; something that in the past they had problems with when it came to Samuel,” He informed us.

 

“I don’t think anyone will believe Chris if you and Samuel deny it,” I said, smiling when the baby tried to kick a field goal.

 

“When are you due?” Nicholas asked, almost looking jealous.

 

“A few more months,” I told him.

 

“Do you know what your having?” He asked us.

 

“No. We want it to be a surprise. We already have Gus, my son with a friend. I actually hope Justin has a girl,” Brian told him.

 

“Why haven’t you gotten married or had any kids?” I asked.

 

“I didn’t want to do anything until my life was settled, and I haven’t found anyone who makes me feel the way you do about Brian,” He told me.

 

“Sometimes you don’t have a choice, love just bites you in the ass,” I joked.

 

“Only once, and you were being very bad that day,” Brian told me, smirking.

 

“It doesn’t bother you? Us?” I asked him.

 

“I’m jealous of what you two have, but since I’m bi, no, it doesn’t bother me,” He told us.

 

“Can I please tell Craig? He’ll shit a brick over having two sons that like dick,” I joked.

 

“I don’t want you near that asshole,” Brian growled at me.

 

“I second that. Nothing about Craig Taylor deserves any of our time,” Nicholas told me.

 

“What about Molly Taylor?” I asked.

 

“I can’t say I’m a fan. She rubs me the wrong way. Probably the same way Chris does for you,” Nicholas told me.

 

“She can be selfish and self-centered. She’s trying, but I didn’t help by excusing her behavior,” I told him.

 

“In the end she’s responsible for how she treats people,” Brian reminded me.

 

“I’ll promise to try to keep an open mind about her, but that’s all I can do for now,” Nicholas told me.

 

“What do you want from me?” I asked.

 

“I want to see if we can try to get to know each other outside business. I don’t expect you to welcome me with open arms, just let me get to know you. I’ve never had anyone I could be proud to call my brother,” He told me.

 

“If we do this, you won’t be able to keep it quiet like Samuel wants you to,” I told him.

 

“I never did anything he wanted me to before, so why start now,” Nicholas told us.

 

“Well, be prepared, because you have to pass the test first. Dinner at Debs,” I teased.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I laid in bed after Nicholas left. I let him have his thoughts on the night. I like the guy, he didn’t try to get to Justin with sympathy or assume they'd be close because they shared a father; one neither of them liked. He was willing to work and see if he and Justin could have a relationship.

 

“You like him don’t you?” Justin asked.

 

“Only because he didn’t show up expecting anything from you, other than to get to know you. From what it sounds like he didn’t have an easy life, but he also didn’t let that rule his life. He reminds me a lot of you,” I told him.

 

“I still don’t know how I feel about the whole thing,” He said, yawning.

 

“Is it that he doesn’t seem ready to accept Molly?” I asked.

 

“No, since I’m still having issues with her. She’s trying, but I can’t just forgive her for making our life as crazy as it was by helping Craig. I want to because I love her, but it’s still there. I know this is going to throw her, especially when Nicholas isn’t ready to welcome her with open arms,” He told me.

 

“He had proof you weren’t the person everyone believed you were, and judged you fairly by it. I’m sure there isn’t much that tells him your sister isn’t the same spoiled child she’s been in the past. Hopefully she figures out she’s going to have to convince him. The same way she needs to convince you that she’s trying to change.” I told him.

 

“You want a daughter?” Justin asked, changing the subject.

 

“Boy or girl, it doesn’t matter. But I like the idea of a princess in our lives,” I told him, smiling when he was sound asleep.

 

Chapter 32 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

I’d gone over to Deb’s house when she called wanting to know about Nicholas. Nicholas quit his job the day after we talked. He already had offers from other companies before it was even announced he was stepping down. Nicholas said it; he was good at what he did. It wasn’t conceite on his part, but fact. He also spent most of his spare time with us, getting to know me, Brian, and Gus. He really made himself easy to like when he enjoyed being around Gus as much as we did. It made me think he didn’t tell us how bad it really was for him in the Hobb’s household. Gus seemed to get him to be less serious all the time, which meant we learned more about him as a person rather than just our shared past. I hated to admit it but it was nice to have a sibling that was just a sibling. He didn’t want or need my help for anything. Even if he did, he wouldn’t ask.

 

I’d talked to Pop about the situation. He offered to help Nicholas when he heard his opinion of Craig. Nicholas balked at the idea of accepting help to start his own business. Pop explained he was investing in Nicholas, who’d already proved his worth working for Samuel. I explained to Nicholas that in the end the business would belong to him, with Pop and Nana as silent partners. It’s what they did instead of running companies themselves. Brian was the one who managed to convince Nicholas that bankrupting himself starting a business wasn’t going to help either him or his mother. Pop wanted to invest just because he knew Nicholas would make money. I didn’t offer since I felt it would be wrong since we were trying to figure out a relationship with each other. Molly was disappointed that he wasn’t flying out to meet her. I didn’t get involved because Nicholas needed to decide this, independent of my relationship with him.

 

Deb was more worried about how I was dealing with the whole thing. I kind of loved her, because unless I was happy, she made Nicholas feel sorry for me. I knew she was like that with all the guys but I enjoyed it when it was directed at me.

 

“I think he’s spent his whole life being on the outside of his family. From what he told us, his mother was there for him but Samuel made him feel like he owed him for not tossing them out when he found out,” I told her.

 

“That had to be hard on him. At least he had his mother. Brian didn’t have anyone,” She reminded me.

 

“He had you and your brother. I sort of want Nicholas to have that,” I told her.

 

“What about the little shit of a brother?” Deb asked, as Lindsay came in with Gus.

 

“I have no plans to include him in my life. Nicholas understands that,” I told her as Gus walked over to me.

 

“From what my sister told me, Samuel is scrambling to save his company,” Lindsay told us.

 

“If he’d been smarter he would have put a clause in Nicholas’s contract to keep him from opening up a business in Pittsburgh. Although he probably never thought he’d need to since Nicholas hadn’t given him any reason to think he would walk away,” I told her.

 

“When do we meet him?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Haven’t you met him before?” I asked.

 

“I’ve seen him, but it’s not like our families were close. Most of the time when he was at the club he was busy and didn’t really socialize that much,” Lindsay told me.

 

“I wanted to ask if we could have a dinner here so everyone could meet him. It would be easier for everyone to meet him at once instead of here and there,” I told them.

 

“Of course, Sunshine. I’ll even make enough to restock your freezer,” She told me, smiling and handing Gus cookies. “Where’s Jenny?” Deb asked her.

 

“Michael wanted to take her to see the movie she asked about,” Lindsay told us.

 

“You didn’t want to go see it?” I asked Gus.

 

“I’m sort of over cartoons, much to Uncle Michael’s horror. I wanted to go home with you today because Uncle Nicholas said he’d be over tonight,” Gus told me, since he’d been alternating between houses.

 

“What about Mel?” Deb asked.

 

“She’s helping Justin’s mother, and also working on cases at her old firm for now. I planned to use the week to look for a job. With the kids being with you guys it’s a good time for it,” Lindsay told us.

 

“What kind of a job?” I asked.

 

“I used to work for a gallery and loved doing it. I talked to my last boss but he already hired someone when I left and can’t really afford to take on another person right now. I could also go back to teaching again,” Lindsay shrugged.

 

“Is that what you really want to do?” Deb asked.

 

“I loved working at the gallery, but there aren't a lot around here hiring. Teaching wasn’t horrible and I love knowing I could open their minds to seeing the history of art through new eyes,” Lindsay told her.

 

“What didn’t you like about teaching?” I asked. 

 

“Teaching can be more about meeting requirements these days, and the setting of a classroom is sometimes stifling. I want them to see the details and beauty through the work we are discussing, since seeing a picture in a book or on a slide doesn’t show them what being in front of a work of art can show you,” She explained. 

 

“They still get to see it,” Deb commented, not understanding what Lindsay was really saying. 

 

“They do. But I know when I was young I liked to draw and had a lot of encouragement to pursue it. Only, it was just something I could do well, among other things. It wasn’t until my mother started taking me to art museums that my interest changed. I remember her sitting in front of a painting, and I could see how the work affected her personally. She wasn’t just seeing the picture but the details, like the brush strokes, size, and colors. In a photograph, color might be muted or over inflated. The size isn’t realized because normally you don’t get a way to gauge it. Depending on the photographer and how he wants you to see the work everything you see could be wrong in conveying what the artist intended. When I see something I’ve painted I can remember my mood at the time, because of the way I used color or my brush. It makes a difference seeing the real thing.” I tell her.

 

“There was good and bad working at the gallery too. I loved selling art to people who were really interested, but we rarely featured new artists because in the end we needed to sell higher priced works in order to stay in business. I guess my dream job would be selling old while giving opportunities to new artists without worrying about the bottom line,” Lindsay said, smiling.

 

“I like Papa’s paintings. Maybe you can help him sell some of them,” Gus told her, making us all laugh. “Dad told me you were good,” Gus commented, thinking we were laughing about my ability.

 

“Justin is very good, and when he wants to sell people are ready to buy it without him even showing them,” Lindsay told him.

 

“But you keep it all in your studio,” Gus said, looking at me.

 

“I wanted time to get used to living here, and with the baby coming I don’t want to add stress to my life,” I told him.

 

“Mom could do it. Then you wouldn’t have to worry about it,” Gus told me.

 

“Gus, I don’t think Justin wants to take time away from you and your dad right now. He has a lot of other things going on that he needs to focus on. Having a show means he has to be where they are having it and I’m sure his agent takes care of those things for him,” Lindsay explained to him.

 

“Why can’t you have it here and let my mom do the work? Dad says you need an assistant to clean the chaos that’s you. Cynthia does it for Dad,” Gus told me.

 

It wasn’t a horrible idea. And thinking about the colleges in the area, opening up a gallery in conjunction with the local colleges we could offer new artists a chance to be working artists by allowing space for new works. I knew plenty of people who would be willing to show if I asked, to help bring in people who wouldn’t come for an unknown. The most important part to me was that Gus wanted to help his mom. Brian would likely kill me for this, since he seems to think my ass belongs in a chair, growing his future progeny to perfection. What the hell, maybe it was time I started doing what I really loved, instead of pushing it behind everything else in my life.

 

“If I buy the space, we need to talk about what you want to accomplish with it,” I told Lindsay.

 

“What?” Lindsay asked, looking confused.

 

“I think what Sunshine was just saying is, if you want your dream then you need to come up with a plan he’s willing to invest in,” Brian commented from the front door.

 

“I thought you had to work later?” I asked him.

 

“I came because Mel told me Lindsay brought Gus here to try and pry gossip out of you about brother dearest. I figured I’d pick him up and bring him home later,” Brian told me.

 

“I don’t want to spend all day watching you work. We have a pool I need to swim in,” Gus told Brian.

 

“Actually, you and I have something we talked about doing, and I managed to clear everything for us to do it today,” Brian told Gus.

 

“So you weren’t working all day?” I asked, curious.

 

“Don’t ask questions,” Brian said with a smirk. “In fact, why don’t you and Lindsay work on your idea,” Brian told me, hurrying Gus out the door before I could ask anything else.

 

“What was that about?” Deb asked.

 

“Do you know?” I asked Lindsay.

 

“Gus didn’t tell me anything,” Lindsay told me.

 

“Deb, since I’m asking you to host a dinner, it’s on me,” I told her, stuffing money in her hand even while she’s shaking her head. “If you don’t use it I’ll get Brian and Ted to find a way to make you take the money. Remember, your feeding eleven and a half men, that’s not cheap,” I joked.

 

“Half?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Brian is more like a quarter,” Deb joked.

 

Lindsay stayed confused when I told her we could go to my house to discuss what I was thinking about. She’d figure out that when I want to do something I don’t sit around thinking about it, but work up the plans to make my thoughts into a reality.

 

“You weren’t really offering to open a business with me, were you?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I liked the idea you put out there. I want to see if we could expand it. I got lucky that I’d been around other artists most of my life and didn’t have to work as hard as people who don’t have the same opportunities I did. Sometimes I feel like I left it to become a hobby, when it’s what I really wanted to do all my life. There are kids attending college that will end up getting overlooked or get discouraged when they don’t have the right contacts or can’t get a show because they aren’t currently the trend. With your idea they’d be able to get a head start, and I can help since most artists tend to want to work with me and would be willing to come here just to see what I’m doing lately. That would draw in the crowds, and then you’d help by making sure the new artists get noticed too,” I told her.

 

“Do you just decide something and do it?” She asked, looking at me like she’d been hit by a hurricane.

 

“My intuition has never steered me wrong when it came to helping my Pop assess a company. It doesn’t take mountains of financials to know if a business is viable. It only takes knowing the people in charge are passionate about what they do. It’s not just a job but what gets them out of bed. When was the last time you were passionate about what you were doing?” I asked her.

 

“I can’t even remember. I loved every minute of working with Sydney, until I made a mistake that almost ruined my life with Mel. I guess that’s why I wasn’t as disappointed as Sydney was when he couldn’t offer me my old job back. Working there holds too many bad memories for me and in a way I would feel like I was moving backwards when my life has been moving forward lately,” She told me.

 

“Anything that would make doing this with me a problem?” I asked, because if we did this together I needed to know anything that could cause issues.

 

“I slept with an artist. It wasn’t even an affair, just a stupid one time mistake on my part. I didn’t even really like Sam, just his art. Mel found out and we broke up. Things were really bad for us for a while. We eventually learned to live with our mistakes and even though Mel and I say we forgive each other, she’s sometimes looks worried when I talk about an artist too much,” She told me.

 

“Sam?” I asked.

 

“Sam Auerbach. I’d chased after him, wanting him to show for the gallery when he turned down everyone else. He did, but not without hitting on me everyday. It still puzzles me why I let things get as far as they did, since he really wasn’t someone I liked all that much. Maybe it was hearing all the things he’d done. Things I wanted to do but never did,” She told me.

 

“If we do this, that’s not a mistake you can make again,” I told her.

 

“It’s different when it feels like I’ll own part of it. My reputation would be on the line,” She assured me.

 

“With the art world it might enhance your reputation, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I won’t be in business with someone if it hurts Gus in any way,” I told her, as we pull up to see Nicholas getting out of his car.

 

“Is there something that makes your sibling beautiful?” Lindsay asked, staring at my brother.

 

“Rule number one- no hitting on Nicholas,” I told her, getting out of the car.

 

“Brian said you were looking for a building to set up a gallery,” Nicholas told me.

 

“You know of one?” I asked.

 

“Maybe. If not we can build what you want,” Nicholas shrugged.

 

“How did he…? It was just an idea less than an hour ago,” Lindsay said, looking between us.

 

“Brian called and told me. Sounds like something to do today,” Nicholas told her.

 

“Did Brian tell you what he was doing today?” I quizzed.

 

“No,” Nicholas said too quickly, lying his ass off.

 

“Fine. If you keep his secret then you can’t tell him what I’m doing all day,” I tell him, as we all get in the car.

 

“By the way, Happy Birthday,” He said, making me cringe.

 

“He better not do something outrageous,” I warn Nicholas, who texts before ordering me to drive to a building he thought of.

 

Chapter 33 by starlight

NICHOLAS

 

I got why Brian sometimes worried about Justin’s tendency to do things on the fly. Watching him writing down his plans for opening a new business, nothing really distracted him, except his stomach. I’d been ambivalent about meeting all the people in Justin’s life. I really only wanted to get to know him. Brian and Gus came as part of the package, and I’d always loved children, so Gus was a bonus as far as I was concerned. Brian explained how Justin took it into his head that Brian and Gus should be together and took off without telling Brian what he was doing. Brian didn’t seem to mind, but he didn’t want Justin to take on too much until the baby was born. I didn’t get how they didn’t want to know what they were having since it would kill me to wait. 

 

After checking out the building I thought could work, since it was a warehouse that at one time someone had wanted to turn into executive offices but abandoned the project when they ran out of funds, Justin called Ted and told him to buy it. While Lindsay looked lost at the speed Justin was going with just the idea they had discussed. I wanted to talk to Justin after Lindsay left, because I wondered if he really meant she’d be part owner, when he would be putting up all the capital. And while expertise was sometimes better than the money Justin would put in, Justin had that too.

 

Lindsay left to go home, and I took Justin to ‘feed the beast’ as Brian called it. I wasn’t sure how to approach my concern. We were just starting to get to know each other and maybe he wouldn’t appreciate my opinion.

 

“I can hear you thinking,” Justin joked as we ordered.

 

“It’s really not my business, but are you really thinking of making Lindsay a partner?” I asked.

 

“If she earns it, yes. She has a passion for art, but it will also be a business. She will have to learn that side as well because it’s just as important. At first, I thought about letting her be my assistant, but Brian wouldn’t be happy with the access that would give her to our house and my life,” Justin told me.

 

“I’m surprised you don’t already have an assistant by now,” I told him.

 

“Most of the time, Molly would help, before all the other shit happened. As with Lindsay, I don’t trust Molly with that much access right now. She’s trying to rebuild my trust, and hopefully, it will happen, but I also think she needs to build her own career, not have me hand it to her,” Justin told me.

 

“That’s half the problem with Chris. Everything was handed to him, except an office on the executive floor. He’s never had to work for anything and most likely never will, because he knows Samuel will eventually leave him everything,” I told him.

 

“How long are you supposed to keep me company before Brian wants me?” Justin asked, since he was curious about what Brian planned.

 

“First tell me why you cringed at the idea that he would do something?” I asked.

 

“After the time my father told me we’d be celebrating my birthday by introducing me to someone he expected me to welcome and make friends with, which turned out to be a man old enough to be my grandfather, and a complete pervert, it made me want to forget the day I was born. Pop and Nana both know how I feel and just acknowledge the day like I ask them to. When Brian and I started seeing each other, he felt the same way I did, so I didn’t think we’d do anything,” Justin answered me.

 

“That’s one thing we have in common. It wasn’t exactly a banner day in the Hobb’s household when mine rolled around either,” I told him.

 

“What did you do?” Justin asked.

 

“Mom always took me out to lunch and we celebrated by ourselves, which Samuel didn’t really like. When I was old enough to take off alone, I’d go to the vacation house my mom had in North Carolina,” I told him.

 

“With your friends?” Justin asked, since I hadn’t mentioned any.

 

“I never fit in with everyone else. And in a way, going alone let me forget everything screwed up in my life for a while,” I shrugged.

 

“Now will you tell me when whatever Brian has planned is going to happen?” Justin asked, as my phone rings.

 

“On our way,” I told Brian, waving for the check.

 

Justin went to pay for it, but I beat him to it. “Consider it one of my presents,” 

 

“One?” Justin asked me.

 

“When you decide how you want the gallery redone, that’s my other present,” I told him.

 

 

BRIAN

 

When Gus asked about Justin’s birthday, a week ago, I realized it was coming. Neither of us were really big on birthdays, but we couldn’t continue that way since we were going to be doing this for Gus and the new baby. Gus wanted to get Justin something, but neither of us could really come up with anything. Just like me, Justin didn’t wait for special occasions, just got things when he wanted them. He’d mentioned to me once that he didn’t get why people thought a present was special to them, when all they did was shop for it and wrap it. I knew if Gus did buy him something, Justin would appreciate it because it came from Gus. But it was important to Gus to get the right present for Justin, and so I spent the next few days trying to figure out something for Gus to do. I invited Nicholas to be here with us tonight, since the rest of Justin’s family was away. Justin and I could celebrate after Gus was in bed, the way we did last year.

 

“Do you think he’ll like it?” Gus asked me.

 

I looked at the album we put together with each moment in our lives together with Justin. Gus helped to decorate the cover and then labeled all the pictures we put in. The album was nowhere near full, with the last picture, Justin, Gus, and me, the day we got married.

 

“I think he’s going to love it because you put thought into it,” I told him.

 

Justin came in the door with Nicholas behind him. He looked relieved to find just Gus and me in the house. Gus and I picked up dinner for later, since Nicholas planned to take Justin to lunch before coming home. I looked to Gus since this was his show.

 

“Follow me,” Gus told Justin, taking him into the living room, where everything was set up for a movie, with popcorn and drinks.

 

“What are we watching?” Justin asked happily.

 

“Aunt Daphne told me you like this but hadn’t watched it in a while. I figured since it was your day we could watch it with you,” Gus told him, handing him the copy of Yellow Submarine we bought while picking up a cake.

 

“I’d love to share it with you,” Justin told him.

 

Gus settled next to Justin, not sure what to think about an animated movie since he swore he was over cartoons. He’d told me that when we got the movie. 

 

“I like this one too,” Nicholas told them, handing everyone drinks and settling in to watch.

 

Justin sat leaning into me, grabbing my hand to put on his stomach at one point. “Do you feel that?” He whispered.

 

“Maybe the baby likes the music,” I told him, since the baby seems to be moving more than usual.

 

Gus put his hand under mine, smiling when he felt the same thing. We all stayed that way until the movie ended. Justin didn’t have any problem eating, while Nicholas refrained from mentioning they’d only eaten three hours earlier. Gus brought out the cake that looked like it was set on fire since he lined the outside of the cake with a candle for every year. Nicholas snickered as he helped light the fucker up. Justin rolled his eyes at his brother blowing out the candles. Gus was still nervous about his present, but he really didn’t need to be.

 

“I love it. When the baby’s born you and I can fill up the rest of the pages with the pictures we take,” Justin told him as he looked through the album.

 

“I’m not really good with taking them, they end up blurry,” Gus told him.

 

“I’ll teach you,” Nicholas told him.

 

“You might need to make more of these albums for my next birthday,” Justin told him.

 

“Dad said you’d rather have something with thought,” Gus commented.

 

“It means more, at least to me,” Justin told him.

 

“Even if it’s just words?” Gus asked, confusing me where he was going with this.

 

“Words can sometimes mean more than people appreciate,” Justin told him.

 

“Like when I call you Papa? So I can help you get used to it before the baby comes?” Gus asked quickly, waiting to see what Justin would think.

 

“I think you just gave my brother the best present anyone could get,” Nicholas said as Justin teared up.

 

“Then why is he crying?” Gus asked us.

 

“Allergies.” I joked.

 

“Because you gave me the best presents I’ve ever been given,” Justin told Gus.

 

“What?” Gus asked.

 

“You for my son and an album of our life together that we can fill with more love,” Justin told him, making me love my husband even more.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 34 by starlight

JUSTIN

 

Dinner was all sorts of fun for Nicholas. So much that he begged Brian and me to give him a month before doing it again. I think he was expecting everyone to behave, which, for them, they did. I could have told him about my first time, but I wanted to see how he dealt with the chaos that was Deb's dinners.

 

"Was it weird to find out your father wasn't who you thought he was? I mean, Ma and I went through that, but my father wasn't so bad, for a drag queen. Then again, compared to yours he's father or mother or whatever he'd want to be called, of the year," Michael said as the food was being passed around.

 

"I'm still trying to figure out what makes women look at Craig and forget the condom," Deb commented.

 

"Samuel Hobbs isn't much of a prize either," Lindsay added.

 

"Honey, my dad was nothing to look at, but my mother kept having more Honeycutt's," Emmett told her.

 

"What does that say about my parents, they only had me?" Ted joked.

 

"How long have you know Justin was your half-brother?" Ben asked.

 

"Since...." Nicholas started but was cut off.

 

"I keep trying to see it. I mean you're both blond, but otherwise, I'd have never thought you were related. Of course, you're both yummy to look at," Emmett said, laughing as Drew growled.

 

"I looked just like my father's yearbook picture," Michael added.

 

"Michael looked good in drag too," Deb laughed as Michael blushed.

 

"Do I even need to answer anyone?" Nicholas whispered to me.

 

"I just eat," Gus whispered across me.

 

"Did you really buy a building?" Ben asked me.

 

"It's so crazy. We were just talking and then Justin turned it into a business," Lindsay told Ben.

 

"Nope," I told Nicholas.

 

After dinner, Deb and Carl volunteered to watch the kids if we wanted to go out. Brian started to turn it down, but I managed to convince him, after a visit to the bathroom, that dancing wouldn't hurt the baby. It was funny to watch my brother ignore the men who were hoping he'd look their way. Brian and I spent time between dancing hanging out at the bar with Nicholas. The rest of the guys were all over, at one point Emmett dragged Nicholas to dance and came back laughing when he got pushed out of the way so someone could get to Nicholas. Brian and I left when Nicholas walked out with a guy, telling everyone we could meet for breakfast in a couple of days. Michael yelled to make sure someone told Nicholas too.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was now eight and a half months along and still trying to act like he wasn't carrying a watermelon in front of him. I'd been getting Kinnetik ready for my absence while Nicholas had kept Justin from trying to help remodel the building he bought. Jen had come back to town to finalize her divorce and managed to get Justin to slow down a little. Molly stayed with her grandparents in Philly, since Nicholas hadn't been more than lukewarm to her. Justin didn't smooth her way, and for once she accepted that her brother wasn't going to help her. She did let Justin know Craig was getting married again, to someone old enough to be Craig's mother. Pop told us the woman also controlled Craig with an iron fist, and let him know that they would be living in England, so the mess here wouldn't be a problem for her. She also told Pop to let her know if Craig caused any issues, and she'd make sure to tighten his leash. That only led to all sorts of comments at the next dinner Deb threw.

 

"Brian, your appointment is here," Janice, my PA, informed me, sticking her head in the door.

 

"Give me a minute," I tell her, finishing up with an idea for a campaign.

 

Claire walked into my office, for once not sneering at me. She had no idea why I asked for her to come here when I never have before. I debated kicking her out just for shits and giggles. Claire sat down, not saying anything and getting more uncomfortable when I didn't help her by just asking how much. Justin and I had discussed how to handle my sister and mother and when Claire called I decided it was time to deal with it once and for all on my turf.

 

"Mother and I..." Claire stopped when I interrupted her attempt to inform me of whatever she thought I owed her now.

 

"You can think, do, and act however you want, because it's your life to live. I don't care if you don't approve of my life. In truth, I never did. What I do now understand is I've led you to believe I wanted your approval by supporting all of you. Which stops now. And before you start on my ‘duty to our family', a duty it seems only I have, I've decided to follow my husband's lead," Brian smirked at Claire's glare of disapproval. "Mother's house has been paid for. All repairs will be made, then I'm done. Well, I have one thing I planned to do for you before I finish. You've spent your life complaining that I got advantages you didn't, I don't see it that way. I got a scholarship, worked three jobs to get through college, while I still sent money home when dad drank up his paychecks, in order to keep you and mother from being homeless. You did nothing to change your situation. Instead, you followed in our mother's footsteps. Yet somehow you think your life is my fault when you didn't get the advantages, as you see it, that I did. I decided it was time you did, and plan to offer everything you want to believe was the reason I owe you and our mother my life," I told her.

 

"You barely did anything for us, other than act like you were better than us," Claire sneered at me.

 

"As I said, believe what you need to, but my offer is the end of anything I do, regardless of whether or not you take it," I told her.

 

"I would rather you buy a new home for me, instead of buying the one I live in now," Claire told me, as if she thought I was going to offer the same as I did for our mother.

 

"I have no plans to buy you a home. What I'm offering is to pay for you to go to any college you can get into. While you work towards a degree I'll pay for everything you need for school, you can work as I did for your expenses, and to take care of your boys. Once you've completed school, it will up to you to make a success of your life the way I did mine. It's all I will offer you, and if you chose to say no, then we're done. If you say yes, you'll be dealing with my accountant, who will pay all the college expenses directly. Either way, you are no longer welcome in my life," I told her, only feeling a small regret at what our lives could have been if she or I even tried.

 

"Oh, so I just work, deal with our mother, my kids, and school. How's that going to do anything for me? I have more than I can handle and your answer is to add to it? Instead, stop being selfish for once in your life and make my life easier. I could use the money now then I'll consider letting you pay for me to go to college. I should get what mother gets, too. I'm tired of doing without while having our mother control everything..." She ranted, and I once again stop her.

 

"If you don't want to take me up on my offer, then like I said, we're done here. So yes or no?" I asked her.

 

"No. But don't think you..." Claire stopped when I got up and opened my door.

 

"I think we're through, and when you walk out of here, you won't be allowed back in. Janice will give you Ted's number if you change your mind, and that means you have registered for school and you stay in school until you finish. You can call him and give him the information on where to send the payment. Now, I have things to finish so I can go home to my family," I told her.

 

Claire got up glaring. "Mother will be hearing about this," She said, as if threatening me.

 

"And like you, she will understand I'm no longer going to listen to her either," I told her, as she stomped by me.

 

Janice rolled her eyes as Claire complained all the way out the door. Once it was closed I managed to get through all the emails I needed to send. Murph came in to talk about hiring another artist; one of the other execs wanted approval for a campaign, and in the middle of all that Justin was texting long winded complaints about not being allowed to do anything. I silenced my phone, deciding he could complain all he wanted later. I'd been ready to pack up when I heard Justin and a few other voices getting louder as they came closer.

 

"I'm fine, just shut up," Justin grumbled, walking into my office.

 

"I told you I would come here and get him for you," Michael said, trying to pull Justin back out.

 

"Justin, this is ridiculous to come all this way when we just have to turn around," Nicholas said, sounding like he'd been over this with Justin.

 

"There's time, now out, both of you. You act like the baby is just going to drop out of me," Justin glared at them, while I was trying to figure out what Justin did that required Michael to come to tell on him.

 

"Since it's trying to, I think we have a valid point," Michael told him.

 

"Trying?" I asked Justin, who won't say a word.

 

"He thinks it's just the normal Braxton-Hicks, but they aren't stopping no matter how much he thinks it's just the whole pizza he ate," Nicholas told me.

 

"I have two more weeks," Justin insisted.

 

"Out. Let me talk to him," I told Michael and Nicholas, wanting to know why Justin was denying the truth.

 

"It will go away, like always, but the mother hens won't let up," Justin told me, once we were alone.

 

Justin grimaced, holding his stomach, which just made his statement less valid.

 

"They won't let up because the baby is coming whether you want to admit it or not. Tell me what's going through your head?" I asked him.

 

"I didn't want to go there without you. You missed everything with Gus, and I wanted you to be there with me through all this. This is our moment and you get to share every minute I want to crush your ball for doing this to me," Justin told me, letting me walk him to my car.

 

"We'll see you there," I told Nicholas and Michael.

 

"Nicholas, please call Molly?" Justin asked before he closed the door.

 

Justin managed to hold it together as the contractions got stronger. He let me deal with everything as we were waiting for the doctor to check him out once we were in the room. Once the doctor was sure Justin was ready, we were taken in while they drugged him up for the C-section to get the baby out. Justin kept asking what everyone was doing through the whole procedure, making everyone laugh as he seemed to think they needed his input.

 

The minute she cried the room was silent for a second before the doctor handed us our daughter. Justin kissed her finger and toes. While they finished with him I carried her to where they were waiting to weigh her and test her. I didn't want to leave her alone but I wanted to know Justin was okay too. Justin was asleep when they finished, and Nicholas was there to walk with Justin to the room they were taking him to, so I could stay with our daughter.

 

I left the nursery when they told me they'd bring her to the room and said I should go talk to Justin since we'd not really decided on a name, wanting to wait until we saw her. Justin was awake, just watching Molly and Nicholas ignore each other. Gus just sat with Justin, excited to meet his sister.

 

"She'll be here in a second," I told Justin.

 

"Pop and Nana are bringing Mom," Molly told me.

 

"There are a lot of people out in the waiting room, too. I think the hospital is worried about where to put all the people coming," Nicholas jokes.

 

"They can wait until Brian and I name our daughter," Justin insisted.

 

"Do you want us to go?" Nicholas asked.

 

"No. I want us to figure out how to be a family. Because my daughter doesn't need to grow up feeling the way we all did. She deserves to know what a family that loves each other is like." Justin told them as the nurse came in with the baby.

 

"I thought you were going to stay out of this?" I asked as I sat next to him and Gus.

 

"I was. But it's different now. I want my sister, who hopefully now knows what a total shit she was and learned it got her nowhere, to know that if she wants to be in our lives she can't be the center of mine anymore. I want my brother to have the family he never did and feel wanted in our lives. But most of all I want our daughter to have them both in her life, getting along," Justin told them.

 

"Uncle Nicholas is really nice Aunt Molly," Gus put in.

 

"I want to name our daughter," I told him.

 

"What you want always comes first," Justin told our daughter as the nurse hands her to him.

 

"Any names come to mind?" I asked, rubbing down her soft cheek.

 

"I want her to have the names of the people who cared about us," Justin tells me.

 

"Vivian?" I asked Justin.

 

"Nana would be happy," Molly told him.

 

"What about you?" Justin asked.

 

"Victoria was one that would honor Vic, who like Deb was there for me," I told him.

 

"Vivian Victoria. It's a big name," Gus told us.

 

"Do you like it?" Justin asked him.

 

"At least it not Jenny Rebecca," Gus laughed.

 

"Well, can you to try to act like we're family and welcome your niece?" Justin asked Molly and Nicholas.

 

Nicholas nodded, not taking his eyes off Vivian. Molly cried before nodding and standing next to Nicholas.

 

After that, they sat together talking as each person came in to meet the newest member of the family. Justin had a few visitors who showed up later. One being Keegan, who sketched Justin holding Vivian as a present. I walked Vivian back to the nursery as Justin talked to everyone who came by. I looked up when I saw a flash and saw Michael at the window with Ben, recording the moment like always. Emmett and Drew waved as they took the bags they were carrying to Justin. Ted and Blake looked in before heading to Justin's room. Lindsay and Mel brought Gus to see Vivian again before they left. I stayed for a little longer to stare at what Justin and I created. As I was leaving I saw my mother standing there. I walked out. I was not going to allow anything to ruin this day for me.

 

"She's beautiful. Love her. I still can't approve but then, you never really needed it," Joan told me, before walking away.

 

I expected less, but for once she managed to surprise me. Justin was alone when I got back.

 

"Where did they all go?" I asked.

 

"They all wanted to celebrate at the diner. Nicholas managed not to cringe," Justin laughed.

 

"How did everything go with Molly and him?" I asked as he yawned.

 

"I did what I could. They have to decide it themselves. I think Nicholas was more interested in Keegan though. That's going to be all kinds of fun, watching Nicholas try to keep Keegan in one place," Justin told me.

 

"I managed it with you," I reminded him.

 

"Because no matter how hard I fought it, we belong to each other. But next time you do the whole 'baby' thing," Justin joked as he fell asleep.

 

 


 








End Notes:

Thank you for reading this and all the comments encouraging me. I'll be working on the two I have left to get them done too. There is a new one I'll post soon too, now that I've finished this.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1218