Gus’s Choice by starlight
Summary:

Following Gus who proves he knew from the start it was Al.

 

Lorie always thank you for everything you do for me as my beta.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Leda, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Original Character, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Family, M/M
Genres: None
Pairings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 27948 Read: 31357 Published: Feb 11, 2018 Updated: Oct 07, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

This happens five years after choices, and centered around Gus and Al and how they build a life together. 

GUS

 

Waiting wasn’t something I ever got used to, and this time it wasn’t just for Al, but for Jus to come home. I watched my dad pace every night, trying not to show he was worried about Jus. Cameron didn’t need us both doing it, so I stayed at the loft, while Jenny took over for both of us. Jenny figured out that Jus and Dad both saw her as theirs too, and became the sister I knew she had in her to Cameron and Anna. We were planning on a family trip as soon as Jus got back. Jus was asked to help raise funds, they wanted to use the pictures he agreed to take for the auction at the fundraiser. 

 

Dad didn’t stand in Jus’s way when Jus told him that even with the government helping it wouldn’t get the houses built as fast as outside funding could. Dad couldn’t fight against Jus wanting to make the world better for people who had nothing to do with assholes not caring that the people in the village had nothing to do with the war they were waging. It wasn’t like he was going there while the fighting happened, the way Al did, so neither Dad or I were worried about it. Just thought it was routine, like all the other times he worked. Jus had started doing small projects that didn’t take him away for longer than a week. None of it was dangerous and Dad went with the kids when they could. Only this time Jus told him the kids didn’t need to see this up close. Al told me after it was over that what happened was nightmare inducing 

 

The news had been full of what happened, and I knew it was lucky they never managed to figure out the SEALS got in and out without anyone figuring it out, until it was over. I started hating reporters. They didn’t get that what they saw as keeping the public informed could get people killed when they let out information about troop movements. They reported on Jus being there, but only as a human interest piece. Once again proving there were still things no one ever knew about him. Jus had been escorted around by guys Nick recommended, which helped ease my dad’s stress. It would have been nothing, except Jus snapped a few pictures randomly, planning to check them later. Only later, he ended up calling Nick when he recognized one of the soldiers who had gone missing in a window in an abandoned building outside the area the fighting happened in. He convinced the guys watching him that they needed to get enough for the team sent to be able to plan a way to get to the soldiers. Which we didn’t find out until after he did it. Not because he was hiding it, but because he knew Dad didn’t need another reason to be stressed out about this. I knew Al was going when he called and canceled our plans for the weekend.

 

Dad asked Jus to come home now that he did what they needed. Jus told him he was safe but they weren’t going to fly anyone out yet. While Dad understood, he didn’t like it. I had to believe that they would come home, because without Al and Jus…

 

Jus came off the plane first, going straight to Dad. I watched my dad and saw the weight come off his shoulders the minute Jus was back in his arms. It was something I understood, they needed just each other for a second. Anna squirmed to be put down, not caring about anything but her Daddy being home. Cameron followed her while I looked for Al. Only the plane emptied, but no Al. Dad and Jus had their heads together talking and when Dad looked at me, I wanted to run. Cameron grabbed my hand. “Gussy, he promised he was coming back.” Cameron told me. He and Al were close.

 

I couldn’t answer him, I just watched Jus’s face as he came towards me. I wanted to scream at him not to tell me when I saw the look on his face. Dad stood behind him, waiting for what Jus must have told him.

 

“He's still with us, but they had to airlift him to a hospital. Aunt Daphne is there and told me he made it through the first surgery. The team followed him, and Nick said he asked for you. He’s alive, remember that, and he’s fighting with everything he has to stay with you.” He tells me. 

 

“How bad?” I managed to ask, even though it was hard to breathe right now.

 

“It's not good. But he stayed with us, saying he had to be there for your graduation. The building blew, and he wasn’t in it, but too close.” Jus tells me. 

 

“Anna and Cameron need you home. If it's too much I'll call you, but I need to be able to deal with this on my own.” I tell him, knowing they would come with me. 

 

“I talked to Hunter and he wants to go with you. At least let Hunter help you.” Jus tells me. 

 

“Okay.” I agree because I knew it wasn’t a choice, but a compromise.

 

“Gus, you call if there's a problem.” Dad tells me, knowing he would run over anyone if they gave me problems.

 

Hunter was waiting for me at the airport, since it was faster than driving to Virginia where they took Al. Al’s mother called to tell me they were on their way. Once we were seated I just didn’t want to talk, and Hunter waited until we took off to say anything.

 

“Daphne told me he got through everything and to tell you that it’s normal that he isn’t waking up. He was hit in the head, and there was swelling, but it’s not critical. It’s going to be a couple days before they expect him to wake up.” He tells me. Which, as much as it was good news it didn’t make it any easier to know he was hurt.

 

When we got off the plan his dad, Levi was standing there waiting. He opened his arms to me, and I lost it. “Gus, he’s a fighter.” He tells me.

 

I nodded and followed him to the car, just needing to be able to touch Al. Nick made sure no one gave me problems when we walked in. Al’s mom, Alice, who looked so much like him, gave me a small smile and let go of Al’s hand and took his sister Amanda with her, leaving me alone in the room full of machines beeping.

 

“This wasn’t how we were supposed to spend the weekend.” I said, touching the parts that didn’t have bandages. His head was wrapped up, arm bandaged, and leg in traction. It really looked like he was just sleeping. Only, normally he woke up when he knew I was looking at him. I leaned down and kissed the chapped lips, they were warm, just not the lips that kissed me back.

 

Daphne’s voice made me jump, because my world centered around the guy sleeping in the bed.

 

“The swelling is still a problem, but we’re seeing signs of normal brain activity, which is good. It’s also good that he was awake and aware when he got here. He asked me to keep this until you got here.” She tells me, handing me the braided bracelet we both wore when we took our first trip together as a couple. 

 

I took it and put it back on him, to us it signified the commitment we made to each other. Something I was hoping to change when we went away the weekend we had to cancel. Al didn’t want us to rush into anything and I agreed because I needed to finish school. Dad is still saying he couldn’t believe I wanted something in common with Ted. I just wasn’t into coming up with concepts to sell something. I wanted to work with Hunter, who was hired to fix failing businesses. I didn’t want things handed to me because of who my dads were. I wanted to start from the ground up, the way my dad did. It didn’t matter that my dad would give me the starting capital and make it easier on me. It mattered that I accomplished my goals by working for them. Which didn’t matter right now. I lowered the railing and laid my head next to the man who was my whole world.

 

It didn’t take long for the sound of the machines to disappear, I was crashing from all the stress. I woke up when Alice came in and handed me a drink and a powerbar. I wasn’t hungry, but Alice didn’t care.

 

“We need you by his side, not in the bed next to him. Honey, I know you didn’t sleep any more than I did when we thought it was just Justin over there.” She tells me.

 

“Jus could at least call.” I tell her.

 

“It doesn’t mean much when you want them where you can see them. Brian and I became phone buddies worrying about Justin, then him worrying about how I was doing when the team got called in.” She tells me.

 

I smiled at her, closing my eyes because I was still tired, laying my head next to his hand, just listen to his breathing while Alice rubbed my back. I smiled thinking about my dad and Alice meeting.

 

My dad and Alice were probably the strangest thing to come out of all of this. When they met both of them threw barbs at each other and ended up like long lost siblings. Jus joked that it was why he liked Alice, because she could hold her own against anyone. Levi and Jus just did other things when Dad and Alice got near each other. It was so different than either Al or I expected. His parents had that same bubble that my dads sometimes lived in, while both had friends, they’d normally just spend time with each other. Amanda was a Jus fan, she lived for art. Our families meshed, which Al told me just showed him we were meant to be. 

There were a few small issues, but nothing that we didn’t talk to each other about. Al, while laid back, didn’t really like the way guys eyed me when we went out dancing at Babylon. I made sure he understood they could look all they want, but only he touched. Me, it was the way people threw themselves at him, even if I was standing there in his arms. Al’s scowl, which rivaled my dad’s, got my head out of my ass. Luke and Terry kept telling me no one stays with the first person they think they love, but they tended to take up with someone because they looked good, not caring what was underneath it all. I knew Al, because we didn’t rush, we both wanted to know when we went further that it was because we loved each other, not the cloud of hormones.

 

When we decided to take the next step it wasn’t hurried or rushed, which for me made it even better than I imagined. Al didn’t tell me he was coming for a week, so I didn’t know he was back. I walked into my darkened loft, dinner on the table and Al on the bed saluting me. Dinner waited, because I was more than ready to do more than the few things we did. Al wanted me to top, because he didn’t have a preference. He guided me through how to prep him and then told me he wanted to ride me. It wasn’t easy not to cum like the virgin I was, but Al took me in slowly and kept the pace slow so I didn’t blow it five seconds in. I loved watching the hard body, his head thrown back and the moans that told me what he felt was just as good as what I did. When I came he turned me over and kissed up my legs, nipping and licking me until he got to the amazing part, his tongue running around my rim. He opened me and it just got better when his fingers found the spot that had me hard again, Al didn’t stop until I came again. He got me ready, and it hurt, but felt good because it was him. It took me a couple seconds to open my eyes and I drowned in his, not even realizing he was moving in me at first. Al took hours, making sure not an inch of me remained untouched. When he came it was the most beautiful site I’d ever seen and the one I knew I wanted for the rest of my life.

 

I woke up looking up to Al’s face, smiling back at him when his eyes hit mine.

 

“I love you.” Al said.

 

“Always have and always will love you.” I tell him, because for Al it meant something.


Chapter 2 by starlight

GUS

 

One of the things my dad always reinforced in my head was that living out and proud wasn’t always going to be accepted. No matter how much progress the world was making, there were still people in the world who hated anything different. It’s not like I didn’t expect that one day I’d get an example of it in my face, I just really didn’t need Al having to do anything but heal. 

 

It started innocently. A girl around my age came in asking if we needed anything. She stopped when she realized Al was sleeping, but didn’t leave right away. Instead she smiled at me, looking me up and down. I’d been zoned out thinking about what we were going to do after Al left the hospital, not really paying attention, but I could feel her looking at me. 

 

“It’s nice having family close, it staves off the boredom.” She tells me, flirting.

 

“Boredom is nice right now, it means nothing more to worry about.” I tell her, happy to be bored with Al.

 

“You don’t look like brothers, so close cousins or something? The girls have all been trying to figure it out. In case you missed it we’ve all sort of liked having the wall of hot guys around.” She tells me, winking at me.

 

“He’s my everything. But if you need to label it, my boyfriend.” Al said, staring a hole in the back of her head.

 

“Hey sleepy head.” I tell him, ignoring her.

 

She looked and him and me, barely concealing how she felt about that. Then left without saying a word. Al watched her walk out, not hiding his feelings about her flirting with me.

 

“Like I cared. Even if I wanted someone other than you, airheads aren’t it.” I tell him, leaning over and kissing his pout. Which he only does to get me to kiss him.

 

“I’ll reign it in. But you know, I was dreaming about us and woke up to see the wrong ass in front of me.” He tells me, pulling me down again.

 

The door opened and there stood my dad and Alice. Alice rolled her eyes at Dad’s scowling.

 

“I’m sure he learned it from having to watch you and Justin forget people were around. Payback is only fair.” She tells him.

 

“Al shouldn’t be straining anything.” Dad smirked at her.

 

“Honey, my baby boy has been without yours for a few weeks, I think it’s called relieving the back up. Which I’m sure you did the minute you took Justin home.” Alice tells him.

 

“Good point, it was a most satisfying couple of days.” Dad tells her.

 

‘If it wasn’t, you weren’t doing it right.” She answers him.

 

“It’s one thing I’ve always been accused of doing right.” he tells her, before turning to us. “Emmett is bringing you real food. He’s convinced the food here keeps the patients sick.” Dad tells us, nodding to the plate Al barely touched.

 

It was really the wrong time for the hospital administrator to come in the door, especially when Emmett, Drew, and Jus were following, carrying bags. She said she just wanted to apologize if the girl from earlier said anything to offend us, confusing Al and I, since she didn’t. The administrator noticed our confusion and said she must of been mistaken, and tried to get out of the room, only to be stopped by Aunt Daphne. 

 

“Maya, why don’t you tell everyone why you’re here.” Aunt Daphne tells her.

 

“Yes. Tell us.” Dad said, pulling Jus in front of him wrapping his arms around him tightly, watching her face.

 

“Is there some problem?” Alice asked, waiting when Maya wasn’t answering.

 

“Justin Taylor?” She asked, ignoring everyone.

 

“I am. But my husband asked you a question, and would like to know what the problem is.” Justin tells her.

 

“Daph?” Dad asked when there was still no answer.

 

“A few of the hospital aides were fighting for a chance to offer assistance to Al or Gus. The winner didn’t like hearing Al announce Gus was his boyfriend. Then she thought her aunt should enforce the hospital policy about only family being allowed in critical rooms.” Aunt Daphne tells us.

 

“I told you she’s an airhead. You aren’t in critical anymore.” I tell Al.

 

“What would her aunt have done if I was?” Al asks.

 

“Yes Maya, what would you have done?” Aunt Daphne asks.

 

“Asked her why she was in the room, and then explained that it was none of her business. You know me better than that.” Maya tells Daphne.

 

“I do. But you can’t just brush away what she said in front of other associates. She’s here to get credit for college. Part of that is showing that she does her job correctly. The private lives of the patients are not anyone’s business.” Aunt Daphne tells her.

 

“I’ll make sure this wing is off limits to her.” Maya tries.

 

“I can make sure the whole hospital is off limits.” Dad tells her.

 

“Daddy, I’m sick. Can you go kick ass outside while Gus kisses my boo boos?” Al smirks while my dad huffs a breath at the idea his life would include Al the smart ass.

 

Jus understood and got everyone to drop off everything and file out. Dad and Daphne walking off with the administrator.

 

“Cameron, Anna, and Jenny are planning to stop by later, call if you need us.” Jus tells me, following after Dad.

 

“Does it upset you?” I ask.

 

“It’s nothing we won’t deal with for the rest of our life anyway. Someone bitching because I got you is their problem, not mine.” He tells me.

 

“We need to talk about what we’re going to do after you leave here.” I tell him.

 

“It’s going to be a while before I can be back on active duty… I got lucky this time.” He tells me, whispering the last words. 

 

“Al?” I ask, since he’s never let me see that what he was doing scared him.

 

“If I’d stopped running even for a second… Dying doesn’t scare me, but leaving you does.” He tells me.

 

“Do you want to quit?” I ask. It’s something I couldn’t ask him to do, wouldn’t ask.

 

“I love what I do. But laying there, all I could think was that our last conversation was me having to cancel our plans. While I was laying under the debris, I remembered the first time we talked, saying to you that I wanted to be like Jus and be able to walk away from anything that would take me from the person I love.” He tells me.

 

“I wanted you for who you are, this is part of it. If I told you to choose between me or the team, I know what you’d do. Do you want to know why I don’t?” I ask.

 

“I think I do.” He tells me.

 

“I love you enough to accept everything that comes with being with you. I never enjoy the waiting around, and I hate knowing the only reason I know anything is through other people. The airhead is right, in most cases I wouldn’t have been allowed in the room with you, but it’s the same for a girlfriend.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, but my parents wouldn’t have allowed that to happen.” He tells me.

 

“If I got hurt would you want to wait around until my dad’s got here to find out anything?” I ask.

 

“What are you really asking me?” He smiles.

 

“What I wanted to ask you before a building blew up around you. Marry me?” I ask.

 

“Just don’t use his last name. Does this mean we’ll all finally know what Al is really short for?” Jenny says, giggling as she comes in with Cameron and Anna.

 

“Should I tell them?” I joke.

 

“Do you know how long it took for me to make people forget it? Hey, I’ve got an idea, we can just get married and then tell everyone.” He says, nodding at me. For some reason he didn’t like his full name.

 

“I will so tell everyone, so forget it frogboy.” Jenny tells him.

 

Anna came to me to put her up next to Al, Cameron ignored Jenny and Al acting like two year olds together.

 

“You finally asked Gus?” Cameron asks him.

 

“What? But you were going to ask Al.” Jenny says, looking at me.

 

“Was that a yes?” I ask him.

 

“What other answer would there be?” He answers me.

 

“Dude, I just realized your last name is going to sound funny. Gus Speaks.” Cameron laughs.

 

“See, this is why I don’t talk about my first name. Al Speaks at least I could work with, since I love to talk.” Al tells me.

 

“Wait, did either of you say yes?” Jenny asks.

 

“Did we?” I ask.

 

“You know I’m the one with the head injury.” he tells me, leaning over to Anna and whispering in her ear.

 

“Gussy, he said bad word yes.” Anna says, rubbing noses with Al.  

 

“Lovely. Teaching my princess to be all I don’t want her to be, Algernon?” Dad says at the door.

 

“Thanks, Daddy.” Al says, just because my Dad hates it and it annoyed him that Dad always used the other arm forces slogans since he said they should have come to him when the Navy could have gone all sorts of sexy but picked ‘A global force for good.’ Dad like to snark they should be paying Yoda some royalties just to pick at him and Nick.

 

“Al, that’s Dada.” Anna tells him seriously.

 

“Anything for the princess, right Dada.” Al tells her, ignoring Jenny and Cameron snickering at his real name.

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

AL

 

Inactivity isn’t easy for me, but if I strained anything Gus would stop. Holy God, I’d stay still, because Gus’s mouth was doing the most marvelous things to me. It took everything in me not to let the whole hospital know my boyfriend, soon to be husband, could suck my brains out through my dick. One of the things about Gus is he never does anything unless he's perfected it and knows what he's doing. Which he did. And walking in to him working on it almost had me throwing out the window us waiting until he was ready for us to take it further. 

 

After Gus moved into the loft, I promised on my first leave I’d come and spend time with him. One thing I knew the day I left Gus the first time, was that he was it for me. I wanted us to do everything right, not rush into a relationship. My past relationships, while not bad in any way, ended when the haze lifted and real life came into play. Eventually my ex’s got tired of the long absences and not being able to know anything about where I was, and broke it off for a relationship with someone who didn’t miss birthdays, holidays, or anything else considered more important to them than what came with being with me. Breaking up didn’t bother me, since in the end they were missing something that I found in Gus. 

 

What I do when I work stays with you, even when it’s a country away. We talk to therapists to make sure we aren’t losing it, but it’s still there, even when you come home. With Gus, it all washes away the minute we’re together. Gus sees me not as some hero, he knows what I do isn’t exciting. I’m just serving my country. In the past my ex's only saw what I did as something they could gush about to other friends, getting upset because I didn’t boast about what I did.

 

Gus wanted to help me get back to normal after a job. He gets me; in a way no one else really does. It’s in all he does when I can be home with him. We spend it doing everything we can, to make up for when I can’t be there. He’s never once gotten upset when things get canceled, or if I don’t want to go out with friends when I come back. I know his friends sometimes give him shit, saying he settled down before he’s had a chance to see what else is out there. It was the reason I wouldn’t label us for the first year. Which Gus ignored, always introducing me to people as his boyfriend. Gus was determined that I would be his first, and didn’t care that he wasn’t mine. It didn’t matter to me, and if he had come to me and said he wanted to see other people, I was willing to let him. Not that I wanted him to, but I wanted him to be sure we were what he wanted. It would have killed me if he had wanted others, but I wanted him to be sure. For me, if we committed to it, it was for life.

 

I paid attention, watching him to see if being with me kept him from doing anything. When we’d go out to clubs, it was because he wanted to dance with me, not to look around. Gus proved to both of us he knew what he wanted and didn’t feel like he was giving up anything because he knew in a tree house at seventeen that he wanted me. I still tried to give him space, because life together would get lonely, and he needed to have a way to deal with me being gone when I was.

 

Hunter showed up one night after I told Gus to go out with his friends, who had showed up saying Gus promised to go out with them when I wasn’t sure I could come to see him. Gus left, not really happy about me saying he’d be bored watching me sleep when he could be out having fun. He was slightly pissed at me, thinking I didn’t want him with me. 

 

“Why are you treating him like he doesn’t know what he wants?” Hunter asked me.

 

“He made plans with them. He shouldn’t have to change everything just because I show up.” I tell him.

 

“Gus isn’t sitting home ignoring the world when you’re gone, he goes out when he wants to.” He tells me.

 

“I don’t want him to one day wake up and be tired of what being with me will be like.” I admit.

 

“He knows what being what you is like, and didn’t just jump into this because he wanted to jump you. We talked about it, because it did worry me.” He tells me. 

 

“That he's too young. That we met at a time when everything in his life was upside down, and it was possible he was mistaking his feelings for more because I was there trying to help him?” I ask.

 

“No. Even though what you say was true about when you met, it wasn’t why I worried. It wasn’t any of what you seemed to worry about. What he and I talked about was that life with you meant that his world might change. He’s lived all his life surrounded by family. Right now your job is close enough, but that might change. He’ll leave everything he’s had all his life to go with you. It’s a lot to ask of anyone, but Gus already had plans if being with you meant leaving Pittsburgh and following you around the world. He’s working towards a job where he can be anywhere to work, but also doing what he wanted, not something that made it easier to be with you. After we talked I knew he was giving up things, but willing to do what it took because he loves you.” He tells me.

 

“It’s still him compromising parts of his life to be with me, which I’m selfish enough to be okay with.” I tell him. 

 

“Not selfish, but loving him. Something Gus and I know is what selfish looks like. We saw it with the people who didn’t deserve us. We both grew up seeing relationships where one partner or the other gave up things to be with the other person, and in a few cases they weren’t worth the sacrifices they made. Ben stayed with Michael, giving up the chance to find someone who could love him. Michael didn’t care as long as Ben was there making his life easier. That was selfish, because he didn’t love Ben, or really anyone. Lindsay stayed with Mel, because being alone, to her was worse. She used Mel’s love as a way to get what she wanted in life. It made it so Gus, Jenny, and I, understood selfish love versus real love sometimes means doing what the other person needs. It’s in what Justin told me once, never to accept less, but to want more. Our happiness didn’t mean taking the easy way out, the way Ben did with Michael. It was me thinking that Ben’s fate was mine because Ben gave up a chance to have more, by staying with Michael. I felt like it was where my life was headed. Accepting what I had, as if HIV gave me one more slap in the head. Gus was already ahead of me, even at sixteen, because he didn’t accept the shit he was seeing as how love was supposed to be. He doesn’t need distractions because life with you will sometimes get lonely. He needs the times you two can be together to get him through that.” He tells me.

 

“It was just a night out he promised his friends.” I tell him.

 

“One night he doesn’t get out of the many he might not when you’re gone and his friends could be there. Which by the way, only had him coming over to my place to complain about, not partying the night away. I think he’s over talking to Emmett now, saying he didn’t want to come home and disturb your sleep.” Hunter tells me.

 

Leaving me to get that I’m an idiot. It happens, like I told Gus, I have flaws. I got up, showered, grabbed the candy Samantha loves, knowing we always stopped by to see everyone when I was home, and headed off to bring Gus home, where I wanted him. 

 

Drew answered, saying enter at my own risk, smiling as I handed Samantha her gummy bears, then left to go find them. I’ll never look at their kitchen table the same again. Although I may possibly wonder where the hell they hide that many dildos. Of course I forgot all of that when I watched Gus, trying to swallow something that made me think he was overestimating what I had. Emmett was too busy explaining the mechanics to pay attention to me standing behind Gus.

 

“See Baby, you just have to get it to go in at the right angle.” Emmett said, showing him why Drew likes to stare at Emmett’s mouth.

 

“It’s not like we don’t, it’s just sometimes he’s more than I can take.” Gus tells him. Emmett tilted his head, checking out the bulge my pants had going, just watching Gus go down on ten inches.

 

“Honey, practice with the real thing.” He tells Gus, who turned to see what Emmett was looking at. “Let me go put this stuff put up, before my baby girl starts asking questions.” Emmett says, sweeping everything off the table into a canvas bag.

 

“I thought you needed to sleep?” Gus asks.

 

“I sleep better with you. So how about we go home, and do that.” I tell him.

 

“Can I practice too?” He smirks.

 

“Babe, you mastered it. Maybe it’s time we try some new things.” I tell him.

 

Which we did. Just not all the new things we hadn’t tried. I wanted that to be something we did when I was home for more than a few days. It’s why I waited until my next leave, a week where nothing but Gus had my attention. Nick, while not wanting to know, made sure to let everyone know Gus and I weren’t to be bothered. 

 

Which right now, doesn’t matter, when Gus twirled his tongue down as he proved he no longer had any problems with taking what I had. Yessss he does.

 

“Now, will you stop growling at the male nurses?” Gus asks, cleaning me up.

 

“I don’t know, if I get that why would I?” I tell him.

 

“Why would it matter if the guy looked at you? You’re hot. I get it, and it doesn’t bother me.” Gus tells me.

 

“I don’t like anyone getting idea of what it would be like to play the cheese in our sandwich.” I tell him.

 

“On that horrible note, are they going to let you stay with me in Pittsburgh?” He asks.

 

“Nick got them to agree to one of the hospitals in Pittsburgh. Ready to deal with me all the time?” I ask him.

 

“At least Dad no longer sends Cameron to interrupt us.” He tells me, kissing me.

 

“You know, we could take the long way home, maybe do what your Dads did.” I tell him.

 

“I like the way you think Algernon, but living longer than just the wedding was my plan. Think about what Jenny and Amanda would do, then tell me you want to be the one to tell Anna we didn’t think she wanted to see her Al and Gussy get married.” He tells me.

 

“Do you really want a huge wedding?” I ask.

 

“We have huge families. But I know Dad will reign them in for us.” He tells me.

 

“It could take months, which at least by then I’d be standing on my own.” I tell him, thinking the wedding night would be better too.

 

“It could take years and I’d still marry only you.” He tells me.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

GUS

 

I came home before Al, wanting to get everything set up for him being here. I needed to get groceries and make sure the elevator was working, which it sometimes doesn’t and wouldn’t matter when Al could walk, instead of using crutches. He joked that I was trying to keep us from eloping when his parents said they would bring him to the loft. It was just exciting that his things were going to hang next to mine; that he was going to actually live here. Up until now he had to live three hours from here, which wasn’t far, but he couldn’t commute. He had to be closer to the base when they needed him. We talked about me going to a school closer to him, and I considered it, but in the end I did what I planned. Just being happy he and I managed to make it work.

 

When I got to my door, Luke was sitting in front of it, looking like he broke off another relationship. Expecting me to be there while he cried about not finding someone, then saying I settled down to soon. Luke could be happy for me, but he also felt left out, because I no longer wanted to hang out all the time. Al didn’t get pissed about the way Luke acted, but sometimes I worried about it. Not because I thought Luke wanted me, but that he could be selfish in wanting my attention. It skirted too close to what my Dad dealt with, and I learned to set boundaries in my friendships for that reason.

 

“Al okay?” He asks, getting up.

 

“He’s coming to stay with me here, and we agreed to get married.” I tell him, excited, regardless of what was wrong with Luke.

 

“That makes two of you. Terry asked his girlfriend last night.” He tells me, which means he’s more upset about Terry than whatever relationship he’s in right now.

 

“Kara loves him.” I tell him, since Luke wasn’t a big fan of Kara.

 

“So much that he can’t go anywhere without her.” Luke complains.

 

“Luke, eventually we grow up and want more in life. Terry isn’t going to forget you.” I tell him.

 

“Trey broke up with me when I made it sound like Terry was an idiot for wanting to be tied to one person.” He tells me.

 

“Trey wants more than to be the guy you take home, when you remember him.” I tell him.

 

“I can’t be like you, ending my life before it’s even started.” He tells me.

 

“Then you deal with what happens when you see it that way. I don’t. Al gives me everything I want in life, and I don’t see what we have as ending anything, but having it.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry. I guess it feels like I’m alone right now. Congratulations, since I didn’t say it.” He tells me, hugging me.

 

“Give Kara a chance. She’d like you if you weren’t throwing girls at Terry. Which is the only reason Al puts up with you, because you don’t do it to me.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, well Al could snap my ass in two without breaking a sweat.” He jokes. “Need any help today?”

 

“I need to get groceries and clean up a little, we can hang and I’ll help you with Trey.” I tell him, since I liked Trey better than some of the others Luke brings around.

 

“Thanks, but he’s pretty much told me it would take me begging to get him to talk to me again.” He admits.

 

“What did you do this time?” I ask, grabbing my keys and dragging him to my car.

 

“Can you believe he got upset because I wanted to have a threesome with his hag?” He asks, like he didn’t get it.

 

“Really?” I ask, sarcastically.

 

“Dude she wants it, just not with me. Hell, she’d rather I wasn’t around Trey.” He tells me.

 

“You know, I’m so glad kissing you didn’t do it for me.” I tell him.

 

“Kissing Al would have done it for me.” He jokes.

 

“Too bad you do nothing but annoy him.” I tell him, laughing.

 

AL

 

All I wanted was to be in Pittsburgh, after having to listen to my mom and Amanda talk me to death at the hospital about all the things Gus and I would have to do to get this wedding off the ground. They got on to me that Gus and I didn’t celebrate every holiday. Like Valentine's Day. We celebrated, just not in a way that I thought my mom needed to know about. They didn’t get that Gus and I saw a holiday as when we could be together, not a day set aside as if we needed it to show we love each other because of a date on the calendar. It’s also why I don’t see turning our wedding into this giant celebration. If it’s what Gus wanted, we’d do that, but we both really just wanted something small. So I turned to my soon to be father-in-law to keep my mother under control. Brian can control my mom, something even my dad will admit he hasn’t figured out how to do. 

 

He waited with my parents, while Gus went ahead of me. I think it had more to do with making sure the hospital understood his feelings about the crap with the chick eyeing Gus, like he was candy. Brian rented a car, saying it would be easier for me to ride with him, while my parents flew to Pittsburgh and helped Gus. I didn’t give him shit the whole ride, for rescuing me from more plans.

 

“When do I get another son?” Brian asked, when we got in the car.

 

“I tried to get him to elope, but Anna wouldn’t be happy.” I tell him.

 

“What does he want instead?” He asks.

 

“We both want something small. But he’s right, we can’t just run off. My team would want to be there, my family, his family… we know we can’t do that to everyone.” I tell him.

 

“Are you worried about Lindsay?” He asks.

 

“No. He really doesn’t put up with her trying get involved in his life.” I tell him.

 

“She didn’t get what would happen when she said Gus could do better than you.” Brian tells me, laughing at being able to see that happen.

 

************************************

 

While Brian didn’t interfere in Gus’s choices in life, he was still the father who wanted to be there if Lindsay did anything that upset Gus. Gus brought me, because he knew I wanted to be with him the first time he saw her again. Lindsay served two years in the end, because she didn’t get that good behavior also meant participating in group sessions with the other prisoners. She still didn’t get why she was being treated like everyone else. She believed once she got out, her parents would be footing the bill for her life after prison. Only they didn’t plan to have her around to remind their friends of the embarrassment of them trying to get her out of what she did. It was big fish in small pond versus bigger fish in the ocean, and not getting that Justin and Brian didn’t give a shit what people knew about the situation, just that everyone got what they deserved.

 

Lindsay was released and ended up at a halfway house, with only what she made while working in prison. The money from before just paid the rest of the lawyer’s fee that her parents stopped paying when Lynette demanded they stop helping Lindsay. She wasn’t trying to save anything but her not liking her name linked to her sister’s in the articles that were written about Lindsay’s background. Lindsay started calling when I was away, and Gus waited for me to get back to agree to meet her for dinner. He assured me it wasn’t because he planned to include her in his life. He didn’t want her near his brothers or sisters. He wanted to explain to her in person that he couldn’t forgive her. Brian didn’t want Gus to do it at all, saying the empty chairs at the restaurant should tell her. Only he was dealing with Gus, and knew he would do it anyway, mumbling under his breath that Gus was as stubborn as Justin. Brian called Mel, and both refused to let Gus go without them. Gus didn’t stop them, but also told them he had someone to hold his hand if he needed it, kissing me.

 

Prison hadn’t done any favors for Lindsay. She tried to look the part she once played; hair, make-up and clothes, but designer wasn’t in her budget. When we sat down, Gus didn’t let her kiss him or touch him when she tried to, but introduced me to her just as Al. 

 

“I’m glad you finally wanted to see me.” Lindsay said, looking confused at why I was there. “Is this some new friend?” 

 

“Al and I’ve been together since the night you ended our relationship.” He told her.

 

“Gus, I wasn’t angry at you for what happened.” She told him.

 

“What you did changed the way I saw the relationship we had, and I still don’t want one with you.” He told her.

 

“We can build a new one, and maybe you could help me out a little. You should see the place they put me. I remember when Mel left me and I ended up in a hole in the wall, barely able to support both of us, but I didn’t care as long as I took care of you.” Lindsay told him, not even hiding the guilt she was trying to push at him.

 

“Then you should be used to where you are, since you lived in a hole in the wall, which Dad paid for.” He told her.

 

“So what do you do Al?” She asked, ignoring what Gus said to her.

 

“I’m in the Navy.” I answered her.

 

“Are you an officer?” She questioned.

 

“No.” I answered, and nothing more, since it was none of her business.

 

“How does Brian feel about this? Hopefully he made sure Al isn’t with you because of what you’ll get one day.” She said bluntly to Gus while looking at me.

 

“Actually Lindsay, my parents, which you aren’t one of anymore, think Al is perfect for me. Which, honestly I wouldn’t care if they did, because he’s the best thing in my life. He doesn’t want anything but me. Unlike you, he doesn’t see dollar signs when he looks at me. Unlike you, he’d never give me a reason to question why he wants me in his life. He cleared up the confusion in my life. All you ever were was a reason to question everything about my life. Did you have me to keep Dad and his money around? Did you tell me things because you thought they would go easier on you while you played at being my loving mother? You want to know something, not once did I question why Al wanted me. Because he sat with a confused kid, letting me talk, and never once trying to one up me on my problems, or tell me my problems were insignificant. Instead he helped me deal with losing faith in you. I really don’t see the point in this or any future visits, but thanks for the egg that gave me a father to make up for the mother you aren’t.” Gus tells her, getting up and holding out his hand for me.

 

“Gus…”

 

“I’m ready.” Gus told me, ignoring her as we walk out. 

 

Brian and Mel followed us, not even looking at her. She still tried to talk to him, and just learned when Gus Marcus-Kinney shuts you out, you’re out. 

 

********************************

 

“Emmett is still going to want to plan something.” Brian tells me.

 

“As long as it ends in me being with Gus.” I tell him.

 

“Apparently it will, no matter how I wish it didn’t.” He jokes.

 

“Please, you love my ass.” I tell him.

 

“Yes I do. Now take a nap.” Brian tells me.

 

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

GUS

 

Grand Central Station, thy name is the loft. 

 

Everyone gave us a couple of days before invading. Dad and Jus let Al’s family stay with them, since the loft wasn’t built for guests. And they managed to keep everyone busy so we could have a couple of days. Which was mostly spent with Al asleep, and me dealing with all the things I needed to catch up on for school. Nick called and said the team wanted to come by and see him. They all stayed at the hospital until he was in the clear, but had to get back to work. It was weird at first, because in a way our lives were lived in two places for the last five years. When I went to visit him we spent time with his friends, and when we were here, my friends. It really showed the differences in our lives.

 

He lived his life with his team as his second family, they weren’t just friends. When he first introduced me to the partners and wives, it was awkward. They didn’t know what to do with me. I didn’t sit with the girls, but played with the guys, at whatever game they were playing. So when the guys left, I wasn’t in the circle of the ones waiting, other than Aunt Daphne. Which didn’t help, since she was alway busy working herself. Only, what I didn’t see was that they were waiting for me to show them that I wanted them around, which Jus explained when he went with me to pick up Al.

 

“You have to make time to spend with them when you visit. They don’t want you to feel like they’re forcing you into a role because your with Al.” He tells me.

 

“They sit around talking about their kids, and having girls night. I don’t really have anything in common with them.” I tell him.

 

“What about your brother and sisters? I’m sure they would love to hear about them. Girls night is no different than going out with the guys, except we don’t follow each other in the bathroom. Well, we do, just not for the reason they do.” Jus smirks.

 

“Al wanted to invite them to visit here, saying it would be a way to combine my friends with his.” I tell him.

 

“Then instead of leaving the girls to fend for themselves, take them out with your friends. Trust me, girls love to go clubbing with us.” Jus tells me, making me want to ask what Aunt Daphne did when they went out. Only, deciding that should forever be a mystery in my life. 

 

At first I wasn’t sure if Al’s friends would want to go to Babylon with us. I knew they didn’t care that Al and I were together, but they were all straight. Apparently they all liked the idea of their wives and girlfriends going somewhere where men weren’t hitting on them, and didn’t have a problem with women hitting on the girls. Something I got, since I still found women attractive, and if I wasn’t with Al, wasn’t opposed to dating women. The girls were dancers, while the guys were more interested in the free drinks my dad made available to them. For the first time, I didn’t hang out with the guys, but had fun with the girls. We bonded over shots, and laughed when guys would try to hit on the guys. By the time the night was over, I realized one thing. I was the one keeping a distance from them. Something I talked to Dr Turner about later, with Al there.

 

Dr Turner was still in my life, but not because I was still having problems. We worked through why I first started seeing her. I continued to see her because after everything that happened, I tended to close people off, not wanting to add people to my world. It was something Al mentioned once when Luke would bring someone new around us. That while I was nice, I really didn’t get to know any of them. It even took me a while to warm up to Kara. Sitting with Dr Turner, we managed to get to what caused me to not really open myself up to new people in my life. 

 

I didn’t see it at first, because I let Al into my life. But Al was around when everything was going on. So were Luke and Terry. But Dr Turner asked about Leda, who wasn’t there. Why did I warm up to her? 

 

“She isn’t trying to be anything but Mama’s girlfriend, and she doesn’t really ask questions.” I tell her.

 

“What questions?” She asked.

 

“About Lindsay and Michael. Most people don’t know me well enough to ask.” I tell her.

 

“So you keep only the people who do know you well enough, and know it’s not something you want to talk about?” She asks.

 

“After everything that happened, even at school kids would be whispering, and would stop when they saw me. When they would talk to me, they wanted to know the things they hadn’t read. It was easier not to get to know someone than to find out they were just curious about the case.” I tell her.

 

“You can’t close yourself off to people, but you can set boundaries. Start with your close friends, since the people who you’re closing off are people they bring into your life. Explain to them what topics are off limits around you. If the person chooses to ignore them, then closing them out is healthy.” She told me.

 

I called Al afterwards and told him what we talked about, and he told me to trust the friends who stood by me. The next time I went out with Luke and Terry, I made an effort with Kara. I found out she didn’t have a clue about any of what happened until Terry gave her a brief summary of it. It was a mixed bag with Luke’s whatever they were to him. Luke shut them down and out of his life if they asked anything. After enough time passed, people forgot about it.

 

So here I stood in my kitchen, surrounded by the team and wives, wishing myself back to the days where I didn’t welcome so many people into my life. But loving every one of them for being here because they loved Al.

 

AL

 

Gus was surrounded by everyone. They wanted to see him just as much as they wanted to see me. He naturally attracts people to him, something that sometimes bothers him. My mom once told me after meeting him, that he was the perfect combination of his fathers. Gus and I talked a lot about how Justin came into his life, and everything up to when we met. Justin was the father when Brian couldn’t be there, when Gus was young. It was hard for me to imagine a time when Justin and Brian weren’t together. Because by the time I met Brian, he and Justin were back together, and seeing them together made it impossible for me to understand how they managed to screw up. In a word, it was communication, and keeping the wrong people in their lives. 

 

I knew that at first, Gus was having problems finding a place with my friends, and there were times I wasn’t too thrilled with one of his. Luke, at first, got on my every nerve, and I’d hide behind my smile and jokes. He never crossed any lines with me, and eventually got that Gus had a life that didn’t include him. One of the things I discovered about myself is that when it comes to Gus, I’m a jealous bastard. It wasn’t something that was a problem before Gus, but I didn’t like the way Luke expected Gus to jump when he needed him. I also knew that at one time Luke and Gus tried, but it didn’t work for either of them, so I stuffed my jealousy of Luke aside and got to know him. What I found out was that Luke would willingly do anything for Gus, not because he was in love with Gus, but because he loved Gus like a brother. Only, Luke had problems the way Brian did, and hid it the way Brian did, by hanging out with Gus and Terry. I realized it was more about Brian and Justin for Luke, they gave him a place to go. I honestly thought Gus knew about Luke, when I asked him about it. We were at his fathers house, sitting around after Cameron and Anna went to bed. Justin and Brian made it a standing rule that the whole family ate together when I was home. I was just curious if Brian ever talked to Luke, since Brian had told me about his birth family.

 

“Why would Dad talk to Luke about that?” Gus asked.

 

I looked over at Brian and Justin who didn’t seem surprised at why I would ask. “I just thought since your Dad had some experience with it, that maybe it would help Luke.” I tell him.

 

“Experience?” Gus asked.

 

“He never brings it up, so until he did I didn’t want him to feel cornered.” Brian tells us.

 

“Dad?” Gus asks.

 

“Luke’s home life wasn’t what you thought. We couldn’t prove anything, but there are just things you know from experience.” Brian tells him.

 

“I’ve been to his house.” Gus tells him.

 

“And I’m sure everyone was on their best behavior anytime you or your friends were over there. It’s how they keep from letting everyone know what’s really going on. If I could have gotten Luke to admit what was happening, then we could have gotten him help. It’s just, my old man left bruises, something Luke’s didn’t do, he was smarter.” Brian says, as if it pissed him off.

 

“They were always really nice.” Gus tells us.

 

“If you asked anyone at church, my mother was a saint.” Brian tell him.

 

Gus spent the whole ride back wondering how I came up with Luke being abused in some way.

 

“I really don’t know for sure, it just reminded me of the things your Dad talked about. Why he was the way he was at one time. Luke never keeps people in his life other than you and Terry.” I tell him.

 

“Luke has too many people in his life.” Gus tells me.

 

“How many of them other than you two are still around?” I ask.

 

“Why wouldn’t he tell me? We tell each other everything.” He comments.

 

“I could be wrong, but it’s likely he didn’t want anyone to know.” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t get beaten or anything like that.” He tells me.

 

“Abuse comes in a lot of different forms.” I tell him.

 

Gus didn’t bring it up again, but I knew he started to wonder what kind of friend didn’t notice things like that. It wasn’t until I came back for a visit that Luke was waiting and angry at me. It was in that moment we became friends, because his anger was because he didn’t want Gus worried about him.

 

“Why would you tell Gus something like that, you don’t know shit about me or my life.” He spits at me.

 

“If it’s not true, then why are you here, pissed at me?” I asked.

 

“Because you opened your mouth and changed my friendship with Gus. He thinks he was stuck so far up in his happy home life that he was ignoring the bullshit you made him think.” Luke tells me.

 

“He only saw what you let him.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t want him to know that my father wished my mother had miscarried me. That he hated me for taking her attention from him. But I was lucky, because he didn’t dare do anything that would upset her, just waited till we were alone to tell me all the reasons I ruined the life he wanted only with her.” He tells me.

 

“Gus wouldn’t have cared, he just wanted to be there for you.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t get it. Gus, he would have tried to help, it’s just the way he is. I wasn’t beaten, just not wanted. I could deal with it, because my two best friends made up for that. Only I didn’t want them to see me as anything but the guy they knew. If I have them, the rest doesn’t matter.” He tells me.

 

“It matters, because you matter to them. It matters because you were there for Gus when he needed real friends. By hiding your life from them, it makes them feel like you don’t trust them. It’s why I didn’t realize when I said anything, that Gus didn’t know.” I tell him, feeling like an ass that I opened my mouth.

 

Gus walked in, looking relieved to see Luke. “Where the hell have you been?” Gus asks him.

 

“I needed space, is that okay?” Luke asks sarcastically.

 

“Then text me to ‘fuck off’, not just disappear.” Gus tells him. 

 

“It’s not like it matters to you, when Al comes home.” Luke tells him.

 

“Or when you see the next trick.” Gus shoots back at him.

 

“Dude, sorry, but getting laid, or talking about my feelings? Laid it is.” Luke jokes, but seems to get that nothing changed with Gus knowing about him.

 

“Well then, why don’t I return the favor, since Al is here.” Gus tell him.

 

I almost got knocked over by Luke when he tackle hugged me. “My dad hates me.” Luke says out loud.

 

“He’s an asshole. But my dads like you, so who cares. Now can you let go of Al?” Gus growls jokingly.

 

I looked around at Luke hitting on my sister, not really worried, since I made sure she knew exactly where to hit, if needed. My mom and Brian arguing about who was paying for the wedding. My dad and Justin, likely already deciding how that was happening. Anna, snuggled up with me. And Emmett, teaching the wives how to make something mouthwatering, and groaning that this wedding was going to be big no matter what we said. 

 

 

 

 


Chapter 6 by starlight

GUS

 

It’s not like I didn’t expect Al’s past to stop by for a visit. I mean, I knew there were others before me, but did the ex have to be Al’s physiotherapist? It really pissed me off when she acted like Al didn’t just introduce me as is fiance. Donna was in the ‘Ignore me and pretend Al wasn’t marrying a man’, denial mode. Al used me to keep her at a distance when she tried to wrap herself around him. Then there was the conversation where she made sure to let me know how close she and Al were at one time; everything in their conversation revolved around things only she and Al knew about. All while she was putting him through his exercises, with involved massages and touching any part she could get to on him. I made sure not to let my annoyance show, since it was her own fault that she was stupid enough to not see what she had when she had it. Not that Al didn’t notice, since he pretty much knows all my moods, and the way I deal with people I don’t like.

 

“God, remember when all of my friends dared you to jump into the frozen lake naked? All the girls wanted to see what I had.” Donna said, giggling.

 

“I remember thinking hypothermia wasn’t my idea of a good time, and having to keep you and the girls from thinking drinking and driving was something else fun to do.” Al told her, not hiding his feelings about how she was treating me.

 

After that she stopped flirting and did her job, while shooting looks at me to indicate she wanted me gone. She really didn’t get that not much intimidated me. I didn’t respond to anything, just continued to work on one of my assignments. When the session was over, Al just couldn’t resist showing how he really felt. This time there was no joking or smiling to hide it with him. He asked if they could talk to the doctor in charge of his care, and waited until she brought him back with her.

 

“Can I help you?” Dr Carter asked him.

 

“I’m sure you can. I’d like to request another therapist.” Al told him.

 

“Donna comes very highly recommended.” Dr Carter assured him.

 

“I’m sure she does, but I honestly came here for therapy, not for her to reminisce about a relationship that we no longer have, especially in front of the man I plan to marry.” He told him.

 

“I was just making conversation, it helps to make these sessions go by faster.” She told him.

 

“So you tell all your patients about getting drunk and not really caring about killing someone else by getting behind the wheel?” Al asked.

 

“I’ll see to changing your therapist.” Dr Carter told us.

 

We were in the car before Al said anything about the change in the way he handled people. 

 

“I know it didn’t bother you, but it bothers me I ever thought she was worth dating.” He told me.

 

“Does it bother you that I never really dated?” I asked him.

 

“Only if you felt like you were missing out on something.” He said carefully.

 

“When I was still in school, being confused about everything kept me from wanting to go into a relationship. When I met you, I felt like it was as if I’d been waiting for you. I still feel like that. I’ve watched my friends date and just feel lucky I found you and avoided all the crap they go through when the person they’re with isn’t the right person.” I told him.

 

“Something I could have avoided if we’d met sooner.” He told me.

 

“Nope, I’m okay with everything it took for us to get where we are now.” I told him.

 

AL

 

Emmett as a planner is nothing like Emmett everyday. I really thought some of the drill sergeants could learn a thing or two from him. While Gus isn’t well known the way Justin and Brian are, he’s still lived in the world they lived in. People knew who he was because Brian and Justin were proud of everything Gus did, and made a point of being there for everything. Gus didn’t seem to care what last name we used, but I liked the idea of combining our names. I never really asked about the name change, since it seemed obvious he was distancing himself from Lindsay. Since Emmett was busy, it was a good time to bring it up. Emmett was talking to a florist for another wedding, so I asked why, when he dropped the Peterson from his name, did he only add Kinney. No one, meaning Justin, seemed to have a problem with only the Marcus-Kinney. It was the one thing we never really talked about, since it made sense to me he didn’t want Lindsay’s name.

 

“Jus really only uses Taylor when it comes to business. He actually signs his name as Justin Kinney for everything else.” He tells me.

 

“Markus-Kinney-Speaks might really be to much when you think about it.” I tell him.

 

“I honestly don’t care if it takes half a sheet of paper to sign our name.” He tells me.

 

“I told you the bride wants soft pink, not hot pink, so charging her for your mistake won’t happen. Although I do have an event where I might be able to convince them to use your mistake at a discount.” Emmett says, smiling when he obviously got what he wanted. Hanging up the phone, Emmett went to get a new planner to discuss what we wanted to do.

 

“Now how about we start working on what you two want. Three months puts us at a crunch for some things, like where, when, and how.” He tells us, seriously.

 

“We wanted it to be small, but there really are a lot of people in our lives.” I tell him.

 

“Which means big. But it can still be intimate. Jen was willing to rent the country club for the reception.” Emmett tells us.

 

“Nana mentioned it, but we really want to do something less formal.” Gus tells him. 

 

“Are you worried your… Lindsay might try to show up?” Emmett asks, stumbling at what to call her.

 

“Her parents more than her.” He tells us. 

 

“Are they still calling you?” I ask. 

 

“Only when Lynette demands that they do. The last time was while Jus was gone. They wanted me to talk to Dad about donating a campaign for some charity thing Lynette was involved in. When I asked why they were calling me and not Kinnetik, they seemed to suddenly want to bring up they were my grandparents.” Gus says, laughing.

 

“Honey, why didn’t you tell us about this?” Emmett asks.

 

“Dad was worried enough. I could handle it.” Gus tells him.

 

“He didn’t tell you either?” Emmett asks me.

 

“I’m sure he would have eventually, but like he said, he can handle it.” I tell Emmett.

 

“Okay. But where do you guys want to hold the wedding?” Emmett says, letting it go for now.

 

“I’m not really sure where to have it. Any ideas?” Gus asks me.

 

“I sort of like the idea of the beach, but there isn’t really one around here. It’s too bad we don’t live near the beach house.” I tell him.

 

“Think about all the people we would have transport. I doubt Dad and Jus meant literally anything we want.” Gus tells us.

 

“He pretty much said anything you want, which is pretty much the moon if you want it. Jen really wanted to help too, so I think she’d be happy to let you use the house.” Emmett tells him.

 

“We could spend the honeymoon there too.” I mention.

 

“I doubt it, since your parents sort of mentioned to me they were paying for that for the two of you.” Emmett tells me.

 

“Where are they planning?” I ask.

 

“I was supposed to keep it a secret.” Emmett tells us.

 

“And you will.” Drew tells him from the doorway.

 

“So Florida it is. That takes care of location. I’ll get with Brian about transportation.” Emmett tells us, determined to keep my parents secret.

 

“I can get that handled. The owner of the Iron Men told me to let him know if there’s anything he could do to help.” Drew tells us.

 

“Why?” Emmett asks, since we were all confused.

 

“His nephew was one of the people Al’s team got out of the building.” Drew tells us.

 

“Did you know that?” Gus asks me.

 

“There isn’t any reason for us to know who; we just do our job.” I tell him.

 

“Well he is grateful that you did more than your job, by not leaving until you were sure no one was left in that building.” Drew tells us.

 

“Al wouldn’t have left anyone behind.” Gus tells him, once again showing he understood me.

 

BRIAN

 

Justin was in his office when I went looking for him. I was pissed when Emmett called to tell me what Lindsay’s parents were doing. I was pissed in general, something that Justin and I needed to talk about, along with wishing the Petersons out of existence. Justin was looking through pictures he planned to use for a show, stopping when I walked in. 

 

“What’s wrong?” He asks, kissing me.

 

“Gus mentioned to Emmett that Lindsay’s parents have been calling him.” I tell him.

 

“You’re upset he didn’t tell you? It’s likely that he forgot.” He tells me.

 

“Or, he didn’t say anything because he knew I was worried about you.” I tell him.

 

“Brian, I was safe the whole time.” He tells me.

 

“Then why didn’t you tell me what you were doing until after it was done?” I ask, not willing to hide that I didn’t like it.

 

“Because I wasn’t thinking about us. All I could think was making sure we got the people in that building out. For a minute it was like being back in my past again, only I didn’t have to think about anyone else then.” He tells me.

 

“Do you miss the things you did?” I ask.

 

“I thought I did, but all I could think about the whole time, was you and the kids. Watching what Gus went through… it was the first time I got to see what it’s like to be on the other side of it. I can’t promise that if I’m there I won’t try to help, but I will promise you not to go looking for it.” He tells me.

 

“You didn’t this time.” I remind him.

 

“It still bothers you that I did.” He tells me.

 

“It will always bother me, but as long as you keep me informed, I can deal with it.” I tell him.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

GUS

 

One more exam and college would be history. Al was distracting, but I managed to cram what I needed into my head. Drew picked him up for therapy, since Al told me school was more important than sitting around while he performed stupid pet tricks for his new physiotherapist. Even though I’d rather be with Al, failing an exam wasn’t the way to go.

 

Since he was gone, I decided to head to school early. I could study in the library anyway, with the group. I picked up coffee for the three who called me when I was on my way, saying they needed the pick-me-up to stay awake for the exam they had stayed up all night studying for. Ken, Tom, and Dee descended on the coffee the minute I put it down.

 

I met the three of them when we started college at the same time. Liking that they never asked questions about my family. They were here to go to college, not party at college, which like Hunter, was my mind set. I’d been invited to a lot of parties at first, and went to a few. Getting bored when the tenth person threw up in front of me, then took off to refill for the next round. I ended up walking to the library, where I met the three of them on a Saturday night, helping each other study, and found people I had something in common with. We didn’t go anywhere outside of school together. I knew they really couldn’t afford a lot, since they weren’t as lucky as I was, to have parents that could send me and ten other people to college and not really feel it. It made me realize that I didn’t want to lose touch with them after we graduated. Eventually, if we stayed in touch, they’d meet my family, if they didn’t at graduation. It wasn’t that I hid my family, it was just our time was taken up by studying. They only knew about Al because they’d been around when he called me.

 

It really pissed me off one night when I heard a couple of fashionistas whispering loudly that I was doing community service by letting them hang around me. Dee was a pretty dirty blonde with gold highlights that were natural, unlike what the bleached blondes wished they had, she was a little heavy but when she laughed she sparkled, and a few guys stopped to watch, not that she was interested. She told me she was waiting for the guy who worshiped her before she’d be willing to give up her single ways. One day someone was going to be lucky to have her, and I’d make sure he knew how lucky. Tom and Ken’s average looks changed, because inside they were good guys. Tom was a redhead to his pale toes. Gay, but not willing to date until he graduated. Ken’s black hair contrasted with is dark blue eyes, which got attention from girls when they really looked at him.  

 

“I swear, my grandmother will disown me if I end up not graduating for procrastinating.” Dee tells us, which made me laugh, since she started her assignments five minutes after they were assigned.

 

“All I can think is that even when I graduate, I still don’t have a job yet. I can’t live with my mom again.” Tom groans.

 

“I have no problem with my mom taking over all the shit I ignored that she did for me. Even if I get a job, hopefully my mommy will take me back. What about you Gus, any plans?” Ken asks, laughing with us.

 

“I’m getting married, but I’ve been working with my brother to get some experience. I could work for one of my dads for now, they’d both be willing to help me, but I want to do it on my own.” I tell them.

 

“I put in a resume with Kinnetik, I haven’t heard anything yet.” Tom says, making me think it’s time to come clean about my family.

 

“There’s also the Liberty Group. They’re willing to train on the job.” Ken tells him.

 

“I’ve got a interview scheduled with them next week. I’m nervous as hell. I mean, the guy, Mr Montgomery, wanted not just my school experience but anything involving community service. Achievements that showed that I could do more than pass a test or write a paper.” Dee tells us.

 

Here I go, not really worried about their reaction. “It was started to help revitalize the businesses on Liberty Avenue. To offer people who normally end up in dead end jobs, or no way to get a job, a chance to have a better future. One of the reasons Hunter asks for that is because there will be times when you’re dealing with people who, for whatever reason, might have done things most people look down on to survive.” I tell her.

 

“You know Mr Montgomery?” Dee asks.

 

“He’s my brother.” I tell her.

 

“Isn’t the Liberty Group family run?” Ken asks.

 

“Not completely, but the ones who aren’t, my family considers family anyway.” I tell them.

 

“There’s a rumor that Justin Taylor owns it. According to an article I read, he’s married to the guy who owns Kinnetik.” Tom tells them, having them all look at me.

 

“Hi, I’m Gus Marcus-KINNEY.” I joke.

 

“Holy cow. Look, I don’t want a job unless I impress them. I mean I don’t have a problem if you tell Mr Kinney you know me, but I want to earn the position.” Ken tells me.

 

“Even though I sort of have a huge crush on your brother, please tell him he needs me.” Dee jokes.

 

“Wait, did you say you were getting married? Are your study buddies invited? With your family the food has to be amazing.” Tom asks. Which we all get, since he was the biggest starving student among us.

 

“I’ll get Emmett to put you guys on the list. We just decided to have it in Florida, on the beach. We’re waiting until Al can walk without crutches. I’m sure if you guys want you can at least come to my graduation party that they think I don’t know they’re planning.” I tell them. 

 

“My family is going to be here to watch me.” Ken tells me, and Dee nods too.

 

“While I would love to go to Florida, it’s not really in my budget yet. I would really just burn anyway. But I’m good with celebrating with you, since my it’s just my mom and me hanging out.” Tom tells me.

 

“Please don’t take this as me sounding like a spoiled kid, but the only thing you need is an invitation to go to the wedding. My Uncle’s team is providing all the transportation. If your families don’t have plans, and don’t have a problem with joining mine, it’s not a problem if you bring them.” I tell him.

 

“Why would you think it would be a problem?” Ken asks.

 

“We’re a bit… Hell, we’re the definition of alternative.” I tell them.

 

“Babe, feed us and we could care less.” Tom tells me, with the other two agreeing.

 

AL

 

Drew watched as the guy put me through my paces. Making the therapist nervous, since Drew frowned the entire time.

 

“Ignore him, it’s the look everyone gets unless you’re his daughter or husband.” I tell Brandon.

 

“It’s more feeling like after the shit with Donna, not wanting to do something wrong.” He tells me.

 

“That was personal. She wanted to rekindle something that died pretty much the minute we started dating.” I tell him.

 

“She didn’t get it. Saying there was no way you suddenly went gay.” He tells me, showing interest in the subject.

 

“Which is why, when she tried to piss off my fiance, I requested someone who could do their job.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry. But you know how it is. People talk their way out of job, then can’t stop talking. I was curious, but I get what you’re saying.” He tells me.

 

“If you did, we wouldn’t be sitting here wasting Al’s time with cooler gossip.” Drew tells him.

 

Apparently that was all it took to have Brandon get back to why we were here. I could tell there was more to the way Drew watched every move Brandon made, but would question it later. I limped out, wondering why healing meant hurting more after therapy. But it wasn’t like I expected easy after flying like superman when the blast sent me airborne. 

 

“If he steps over the line, I’ll get someone for you that won’t be a problem.” Drew tells me.

 

“Do you know him?” I ask.

 

“He just likes causing trouble at Babylon. Brian lets him in because he attracts a crowd.” Drew tells me.

 

“I’ve never seen him there.” I tell him.

 

“Likely because Brian made sure he understood to stay away from Gus.” Drew tells me.

 

“Why? It’s not like Gus would even give him the time of day. I’d say it’s because he has me, but Gus would see right through the guy.” I tell him.

 

“Brandon wouldn’t care. To him, if he couldn’t land Brian or Justin, pissing them off is just as fun.” He tells me.

 

“They’ve never mentioned him.” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t really matter to either of them, and they were past the games he wanted to play. Brian at one time would have challenged Brandon’s wanting the attention Brian commanded at one time. Only by the time Brandon came along, the only person Brian wanted was Justin. Brandon tried to bring the old Brian back, failing when Brian told him Justin was the top ten for him.” Drew tells me.

 

“You know, my luck is usually better than this.” I tell him, thinking Brandon wouldn’t need to worry about Gus’s reaction, since he’d have to deal with me first.

 

“Next time run faster, because my daughter likes her Al.” Drew tells me, smiling like he always does when Samantha is brought up.

 

Gus texted me to tell Emmett he was inviting a few extra people to the surprise graduation party and wedding. I texted back that we might need to rent half of Florida after my mom sent the list from my side of the family.

 

“So, small can be done with a few hundred people, right?” I joke.

 

“Emmett has always performed miracles.” Drew laughs.

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

GUS

 

Sitting in the sea of hats, I just wanted this done. Al and I celebrated with Terry, Luke, and Kara at Babylon last night until Al and I took the celebration home. Al was still on crutches but didn’t let anything get in the way of making it a night we’d remember. The only problem came when my brother and sisters came to deliver breakfast an hour after we fell asleep, exhausted.

 

Jenny snuck them in with her key, and ended up covering up Anna’s eyes when they walked up to wake us up, and saw more of her soon to be brother-in-law than she expected to see. Al didn’t even care, just grabbed the covers when he heard Anna ask why Jenny wouldn’t let her see. So we ended up downing coffee to stay awake, since we only had a few hours before I needed to be at the school.

 

My family took up an entire section of the stadium, all of them making noise and letting everyone know it was me they were here for. Jenny made a huge banner, just in case anyone didn’t know who they were here to see. I smiled at Al hanging over the wall, and decided at Jenny’s graduation I'd make sure she got payback for sneaking in this morning. As I got to the other side to stairs, I looked around as I was waiting, and see my mother and Deb sitting together. Deb was still on the outside of all of our lives, and coming with my mother wasn’t going to change it. It would only piss off Mel if she saw this. I ignored them, looking back at Al, seeing that he didn’t miss it. I wasn’t going to let it change anything for my real family.

 

Everyone came down after it was over but Al. Dad pulled me aside, letting me know that he saw Mom and Deb, but Al told him he'd handle it. For all Dad’s sniping at Al, he trusted him to do what he'd always done for me. I took my Dad and Jus to meet the friends I’d invited to the party.

 

Tom stared at my Dad and Jus, the way most of the men on Liberty Avenue did anytime they were there. Ken straightened his tie when I introduced him to my dad. Dad walked off with him to talk about his application. Hunter pretended not to see Dee’s eyes following him as he came up to hug me. Dee managed to control herself as Hunter nodded to her. 

 

Dad and Emmett gave everyone directions if they didn’t know where Babylon was. Leaving me to wait on Al. He found me after the crowd thinned, and we got in the car before I asked him about what he said to Deb and Mom.

 

“I just told them none of us had a problem with them being at the graduation, since it was open for anyone who wanted to come see it, but to respect your choices by staying away from you.” He tells me.

 

“Hopefully Mama didn’t see them. For Jenny’s sake she tries to work with Deb, but bringing Mom with her isn’t something Mama would be happy about.” I tell him.

 

“It’s her choice, she knows how everyone feels about Lindsay. Which is just a step back again for Deb.” He tells me.

 

Which didn’t happen often, but did still happen. We pulled up to Babylon, laughing at how it looked like the graduating class was walking in. Ken’s parents were talking to Jus and Hunter. Dad, Ted, and Blake were missing at first, but came down the stairs with Tom, likely giving him a tour. Luke was slamming a shot, then looking up at Tom, before ordering another one. I looked at Al because Luke drank, yes, but it was the way he seemed confused as he looked at Tom that was different. Al shrugged and we ended up having our attention drawn to the stage.

 

“Gus, we all wanted to congratulate you on not only knowing what you want, but working towards your goals never letting anything deter you. I want you to know I’m proud of you, and know how lucky I am to have been given the gift of having you in my life.” Mama said, crying, but swiping at Dad when he said something to her, as he grabbed the microphone from her.

 

“I’ve never enjoyed making speeches. That’s something Justin was always better at. I want you to know, I’ve made a lot of mistakes through my life, but you were never one of them. You stood by me, even when I didn’t give you a reason to, and didn’t let anyone tell you who you are and what you wanted. Like Mel, I’m not only proud of you, but I love you, Sonny Boy.” My Dad said, glaring at whatever Mama said to him when he gave Jus the microphone.

 

“Gus, being allowed to watch you grow up was my privilege, and it gave me a son, even when I was only a friend. Having you in my life made it brighter, just being there to watch you grow into the amazing man you are. Your ending a chapter, but beginning a new one. One that will bring you the same things your father brought me. I love you, and can’t wait to see where you go from here.” Jus tells me, not caring that he was crying.

 

“Gus, Drew and I love you, and want you to know our family started with you. Before I cry, just know our home is always open to you.” Emmett cried anyway, and handed Ted the microphone.

 

“Blake and I thank you for helping us when there were days our son Max drove us insane.” Ted laughed when Max booed him. “I know we don’t have to worry about your future, because you learned your determination from Brian, Justin, and Mel. But know I’m here if you need an ear to bend. Also, please eat the food, or take it home, otherwise Emmett will cry at the leftovers.” Ted jokes as he signals the DJ to start the music.

 

My old friends and new ones came over to where we were standing, leaving the adults to get to know them. Luke stood next to Dee at first, but inched his way over to Tom, who wasn’t paying any attention to him at all.

 

“My mom says your dads are hot, which wasn’t fun since it was my reaction too.” Tom jokes.

 

“I swear I sweated bullets when your dad started asking me about my goals in life. He told me to call someone named Cynthia on Monday. Is that good?” Ken asks.

 

“He lets Cynthia do the first interview. Then it’s him and Ted. Most people don’t get past Cynthia unless she knows my dad won’t kill you.” I tell him.

 

“His dad isn’t that bad.” Jenny tells them, which she wouldn’t know since they treat her like a princess.

 

“Gus can you come with us?” Dad asks, not waiting for me, just expecting me to follow him and Jus. 

 

“I told you I didn’t want presents.” I tell them as Al follows me.

 

“You really think he wouldn’t get you one.” Jus tells me.

 

Ted handed my dad an envelope, which no longer surprises me, since they stopped with wrapped gifts after my eighteenth birthday. 

 

“I know you want to do it from the ground up, and you can, but this is from all of us for you and Al to do what you want with.” Dad tells me, as everyone nods with him.

 

I opened up the envelope, hugging my dad for not doing something as ridiculous as he joked about doing to keep me from following in Ted’s footsteps. Counting it up in my head it really only equaled a thousand per person between all of them.

 

“If you want what I really want to give you, just say the word.” Dad whispers.

 

“It’s what they all gave me.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Um, when I graduate, feel free with the wallets.” Jenny jokes.

 

“If you and Al want to go spend some time in Florida, alone or with your friends, consider it my gift.” Nana tells me.

 

“We could do that, except Al has therapy.” I tell her, knowing Al would ignore therapy to make me happy.

 

“I’ll handle it, and I’ll make sure Brandon understands why he’s going.” Drew tells me. 

 

“Let him know he’ll be out of job if it’s a problem.” Dad tells Drew.

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

GUS

 

Al and I were sitting on the beach while all my friends messed around in the water. Even Brandon seemed to forget he should impress anyone, and just enjoyed his working vacation. I knew who Brandon was and also knew although he could be a pain in the ass where Dad and Jus were concerned, he never approached me, other than a casual head nod when we saw each other. Al told me that while Brandon was curious about us, he hadn’t done anything yet that sounded like what Drew told him.

 

What are you thinking about?” Al asked.

 

“The future. That in a way I’m creating a group of friends the way Dad and Jus have, only my friends have less in common than theirs.” I tell him.

 

“In what way?” Al asks.

 

“While Luke and Terry grew up with me, the rest are people I met. I found them outside of the life that surrounded me. Dee, Ken, and Tom were people that as I got to know I considered friends, but never asked them to do the things I do with Luke and Terry. The three of them didn’t know anything but that I was as serious about college as they were and let me join in their circle, without ever caring about anything but their coffee supply.” I joke. 

 

“It’s really rare you keep the people who grew up with you. I really don’t see the people who I used to hang around. They went to college and we lost touch when I joined the Navy. Now when I see them, we just barely manage to find something to talk about. Plus, the team became more than just the people I work with, they’re also the people I spent the most time with when we were off. Something a lot of my friends in the past didn’t get, because for them work and home were two different places in their life.” Al tells me.

 

“In a way I was always surrounded by the friends in Dad and Jus’s life. There were times when what my friends were doing I couldn’t see as something a smart person would do. It’s why I really only hung out with Terry and Luke. They’d rather do things our parents wouldn’t have to bail us out of. Something Luke avoided to avoid his dad, but Terry did the same because it’s just the way he is. When I told Dee, Ken, and Tom who my fathers are, they didn’t really care and didn’t expect me to help them with the jobs they’d applied for. For them I was still the guy they’d known for years, just that they now knew my family.” I tell him.

 

“Of course we didn’t care, you proved to us you didn’t care that people saw us as a step down the social circus that is college popularity.” Ken tells us, sitting down.

 

“I never cared about it.” I tell him.

 

“Hey, I wanted to ask you about Luke, he’s been sort of making passes at Tom, and I get the feeling he’s a bit of a player.” Ken says, letting me know it’s really about making sure Tom isn’t hurt.

 

“He normally is, but he’s also very protective of the people he cares about.” Al tells him.

 

“I like Luke so far, but he needs to be serious when it comes to Tom. Tom didn’t date because he’s a romantic at heart and wouldn’t want to be with someone who only sees relationships as a game.” Ken tells him.

 

“Is he interested in Luke?” I ask.

 

“Well yeah, look at the guy. I’m not gay but I get why Tom likes looking at him.” Ken tells us.

 

“Brandon actually turns more heads at the club.” I pointed out.

 

“Brandon isn’t making passes at Tom, so until he does I won’t worry about him.” Ken tells us, getting up.

 

“Luke seems different with Tom.” Al tells me.

 

“He’s looking at his doom and fighting it. He always does if he thinks they’ll be something more.” I tell him.

 

“I get that, I mean there I was a free agent and then this kid kissed me and sealed any escape.” Al jokes, pulling me over to kiss me.

 

“I can’t believe I’m going to say this but we need more straight men and women around here if you two are going to get me and everyone else hot and bothered.” Dee says, sitting at the end of chair.

 

“My brother is coming tomorrow, so are our two straight sisters. Will that help?” I joke, feeling Al’s abs as she watches us.

 

“You keep doing that, and Dad will send Cameron and Anna to turn any X-rated thoughts into G-rated actions.” Al says, not stopping me.

 

“This girl needs some X-rated action now that school is over. Any chance Hunter is willing? Which really is presumptuous of me, since he really didn’t seem interested.” Dee says, not putting herself down, just willing to admit that it might be just that he isn’t interested.

 

“I sometimes think he uses working to avoid what relationships would mean to him.” I tell her, knowing his HIV is usually the obstacle when it comes to relationships.

 

“Why? I mean he’s hot as hell, has a great job, and is really sweet. All that says is women are stupid for not snatching him up. He could have women lining the streets.” She tells me.

 

“I can test it and see what he says.” I offer.

 

“Let me know, and tell him I still would like to be friends with him since he called me to tell me I got the job. Which is really why came over here, only to wish you and Al would give me a show. Thanks by the way.” Dee says, walking over to sit with Kara.

 

“Welcome to the love boat.” Al jokes.

 

HUNTER

 

I’d been running my ass off so I could go spend some time with Gus and Al. While running my ass off I realized it was time to hire someone to help around here. Looking through the applications with Justin, we both thought Gus’s friend was the only one who actually wanted the job. Because she saw it as a way to help people. I tried to suggest someone else, which only had Justin asking why.

 

“I guess because the whole time I was interviewing her, I couldn’t keep my head in the interview.” I tell him.

 

“Is something wrong?” Justin asks.

 

“I was trying to control my other head. Hell, I didn’t even know she was friends with Gus, and now I feel like I’m perving on my little brother’s friends.” I tell him.

 

“As long as she is interested it’s not a problem if you work together, and possibly be more.” Justin tells me.

 

“I don’t even know her, and I also don’t want her to feel like she got the job because I think she’s gorgeous.” I tell him.

 

“Then tell me why you would give it to her if she wasn’t someone you found attractive.” Justin tells me.

 

“She was taking a full load at college and still found time to help at any shelter where she was needed. Everyone who knew her said she went out of her way to comfort the people who most people avoid. If someone she’d gotten to know didn’t show up, she went out to make sure they ate and that they were okay. She also understood to be careful not to insult them by making them think she saw them as a charity case. Overall she’d be good at talking to the ones who walk in here already assuming we’ll look down at them. Something we can’t teach them on the job to do, it has to be in the person themselves.” I tell him.

 

“So by hiring someone else we’d be setting ourselves up to likely fire them if they don’t have the qualities she already possess.” Justin pointed out.

 

“Yes.” I tell him, knowing I’d just have to rein in my thoughts at the sparkling smile she tends to throw out there.

 

“I got the feeling she was interested in you too.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“She spent the entire night at Babylon watching you while you tried to avoid her. What’s really bothering you that your attracted to her?” He asks.

 

“Right now nothing, but eventually what happens if it works out with her?” I ask him, hating the look on his face. It’s one he had for Brian when the shit with Michael almost ruined his marriage, disappointment.

 

“Hunter, if someone really loves you, nothing matters. If Brian was in your situation, it wouldn’t have changed that I love him and want to spend my life with him. Also, you’re jumping twenty steps when only one is required... finding out if there’s even a reason beyond attraction before worrying about what happens next. While you were reading her essay did you read one of the places she volunteered at regularly?” Justin asks.

 

“It doesn’t mean she would want to date someone with HIV or AIDS.” I tell him, hating that I was letting my old fears come back.

 

“It also means she knows what it means to the person who has them, and didn’t care because it didn’t change that she wanted to be there with them. Call her and tell her she has the job, maybe throw a little charm in there, you know, like Brian does when he wants something.” Justin tells me, smiling when Brian smirked at the door.

 

“Now get out of here and make sure Jen’s beach house is still standing.” Brian tells me, walking out with Justin and the kids.

 

I packed up, grabbed my bag, and went to pick up Jenny and Amanda, since they were coming with me. Mel let me know she and Leda were going to take a vacation while they could be wild and carefree without Jenny. Jenny ran to the car, saying they were scaring her with all the parental sexcapades. Amanda just latched onto my arm and said hopefully Al wouldn’t take over for Alice in the protecting of Amanda’s innocence, flirting like she always did. It was different since Amanda was really more like another sister, and just flirted to do it.

 

And here I go again, Dee didn’t even flirt, yet just her smile was enough for me. We were waiting around at the airport when Gus called to see when we’d be there.

 

“The same time we told you.” I tell him.

 

“So, I sort of suck at this but I told Dee I’d feel you out.” Gus tell him.

 

“About what?” I ask.

 

“Hello. Asshole, she’s interested in you.” Gus tells me, like it should have been obvious why.

 

“Then tell her why she might want to reconsider.” I tell him.

 

“Wow, I never thought you were insecure, but then I guess we all are sometimes.” Gus tells me.

 

“Not all of us can meet the person we love the way you did.” I tell him.

 

“I really think it’s more that I wasn’t afraid to grab what I wanted. But yeah, you aren’t as lucky, since Al loved me the best.” Gus jokes.

 

“Just tell her yes I am. We’ll see.” I tell him, hanging up and doing what Justin once told me, reaching for more.

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

GUS

 

Al was napping after Brandon accelerated his therapy since his cast was taken off. It wasn’t done for any reason but that Al wanted it. Brandon didn’t seem worried, so I just kept my mouth shut even when Al started turning grey but insisted he was fine. Plus, I wanted a chance to talk to Dee about Hunter. Jus called and told me about their conversation, saying not to let Hunter undermine a relationship before it was one. Only, I could understand why Hunter felt the way he did. I didn’t like it, but people sometimes didn’t care that Hunter was pretty great. They just heard he was positive and didn’t look past it. With the family, we honestly forget, because all we see is Hunter.

 

I wish I could say how Dee would feel about it. She's pretty level headed and has never given me a reason to think she'd turn away from anyone for any reason. I found her reading a book on the beach and figured it was a good time to talk, since Luke had gone to pick them up.

 

“So did you find out anything?” Dee asked, not looking away from her book.

 

“He's interested, but wanted me to explain why you might not be.” I tell her.

 

“Does he have like a third eye or something?” She jokes.

 

“Not that I know of. It's just… it's hard for me to say it, because I don't want you to feel like I'll judge you for how you might feel about it.” I tell her, wondering if it's this hard for me, what it must be like for him.

 

“Is he sick?” She asks, concerned.

 

“He's as healthy as he can be, but HIV is part of his life. Which for him means it's something that would affect the person he's with.” I tell her. 

 

“Is that why he's still single?” She asks.

 

“I think it’s more that he had things he wanted to achieve and relationships weren’t convenient at the time. He never really seemed interested in anyone, so it could be just that. Only he told me to tell you about the HIV before he got here so you’d be informed and I guess not waste your time if it bothers you. Although, I think he’s wrong because anyone would be lucky to have my brother love them.” I tell her.

 

“Can I ask a question?” She asks.

 

“I’ll answer if I can.” I tell her.

 

“How are you two related?” She asks, which threw me since I expected the ‘how did he get it’ question.

 

“We really aren’t, but when his adoptive Dad died my Dads took Hunter into our family along with my sister, Jenny. I don’t know, we just all see each other as siblings, not caring how it came about.” I tell her.

 

“I just wondered since you guys don’t share a last name.” She tells me.

 

“Hunter actually changed his last name back to Montgomery after some things that happened a few years ago. He kept the name Bruckner but doesn’t use it.” I tell her.

 

“He’s worried that I’d be turned off by his HIV status?” She asks.

 

“I think we’d all understand if it was more than you wanted to deal with.” I tell her.

 

“It would change the way I see things in my future. I want children, but then like you said, it wouldn’t matter how it happened, just that it did. Of course, it might be a bit soon to be worried about it, since I don’t know him that well yet. I can’t say it doesn’t bother me, but it’s just for him and what he has to deal with.” She tells me.

 

“But could you see yourself serious about Hunter, because I doubt he’ll ever want a casual relationship?” I ask her.

 

“Neither do I. I know I was joking around earlier, but for me sex is only something I want when I’m in a relationship. It’s not like HIV is the total of who he is.” She tells me.

 

“It never was, because he’s probably one of the best people in my life.” I tell her.

 

“I look forward to getting to know him, and maybe more.” She tells me.

 

I looked behind her and saw Hunter standing there listening to us. He tilted his head for me to get out of his way, which I did. I went into the kitchen and watched them out the window, beaming as Hunter and Dee got up and she hooked her arm into his as they walked towards the beach. 

 

“What’s so interesting out there?” Brandon asks.

 

“My brother might be hooking up with a good friend of mine. How’s Al doing?” I ask him, turning away.

 

“Likely ready to kick my ass after our session.” Brandon tells me, going to get a drink.

 

“He’s never been good at waiting for what he wants.” I tell him, smiling at all the things Al and I waited for.

 

“Or getting what he wants.” Brandon tells me.

 

“It was mutual for both of us. The minute I saw him, I saw my future. Can I ask you a question?” I ask.

 

“Sure. Although I reserve the right to not answer.” Brandon tells me.

 

“Fair enough. Why do you go out of your way to piss off my Dads?” I ask.

 

“Truthfully I didn’t mean to, but after I did, your Dad pretty much hates my guts.” Brandon tells me.

 

“How did you piss off my Dad?” I ask.

 

“I was new and didn’t know when I hit on Justin who he was exactly. Your dad was up in his office while Justin danced with a few guys. Like I said I was new, so I didn’t realize the guys were really just keeping everyone away from Justin. Your dad is over the top about Justin.” Brandon tells me.

 

“They’re both like that about each other, Al and I are the same way.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind if you guys were interested, but I don’t poach, even if everyone thinks I do.” Brandon tells me.

 

“Who’s everyone?” Luke asks.

 

“Most of Liberty Avenue seemed to judge me to be the next Brian Kinney. While I like the idea I could get anyone, it makes having a relationship almost impossible.” Brandon tells us.

 

“You trick enough, even I can’t compete with you.” Luke tells him.

 

“Guys think it’s all I want.” Brandon tells us.

 

“People thought I’d be like my Dad, but in the end they were right and wrong. Right in that when I fell in love, for me it meant forever, and working though everything to stay together. Wrong in that I didn’t have the same life he had so I didn’t trick to be close to people.” I tell Brandon.

 

“I’m working on that.” Luke tells me.

 

“Just make sure Tom isn’t a casualty of it, because I care about him the same way I do you.” I tell him.

 

“It’s nice you know, having people in your life that give a shit.” Brandon tells us.

 

“Don’t fuck up with us and you can have that.” I tell him.

 

HUNTER

 

Dee and I walked in as Gus said to Brandon not to fuck up. I looked at my brother who smiled at me to let me know everything was fine. I smiled back, to let him know so far Dee seemed to still be interested in getting to know me.

 

“I’m just here because Al needed to get therapy.” Brandon says, as if he didn’t get why Gus would be willing to have him in the little group Gus was building.

 

“Yes, but it sounds like you could use better friends. My friends didn’t let anything change how they see me. I could fuck the world, but they’d still see me as Luke, not some reputation.” Luke tells him.

 

“Gus only sees me, his brother. Not my HIV.” I tell him.

 

“I never saw anybody but my study buddy when I met Gus, and when he told us who his family was, it still didn’t change the Gus I knew.” Dee tells him.

 

“I saw a confused kid who rocked my world.” Al says, yawning and limping to Gus before laying his head on his shoulder.

 

“You know it doesn’t matter to me if your standing or wheeled to me, as long as we get married.” Gus tells Al, completely in their world.

 

“You didn’t come upstairs, so I came here to get you. I sleep better with you.” Al tells him.

 

We all watched them walk out, not caring what the conversation was about.

 

“That’s what I want one day, someone who forgets everything but me.” Dee tells me.

 

“Why one day? I forgot everything the minute you sat in front of me, interviewing for a job.” I tell her, not letting any fear win.

 

“Dude, I need a couple hundred drinks, since I’m practically taking lessons so Tom won’t think I’m only interested in getting him naked.” Luke tells Brandon.

 

“Or is it that you need a drink because I bother you so much.” Tom tells him.

 

“How about we drown him.” Ken says, smiling at Amanda and Jenny when they ran in from the beach.

 

“Drown Luke, or would you like to have dinner with me?” I ask Dee.

 

“Hard choice, since I promised Ken to help him if Luke hurt our baby. Wait, last I checked Tom’s an adult, so dinner with you.” Dee says, yanking me towards the door, while the peanut gallery hooted and cheered us on.

 

I stopped Dee and did something I wanted to do after I first saw her, kissed the shit out of her.


Chapter 11 by starlight

GUS

 

It was weird seeing Brandon let down his guard instead of trying to be the Alpha male we usually saw at the club. He was funny, and actually a nice guy. He started giving Tom advice on exactly what would drive Luke nuts, and it worked.

 

Amanda and Jenny were busy making friends with the frat guys who were playing volleyball at the beach every day. Al reminded me of my dad, the way he seemed to watch every move the guys made around our sisters. I had to get Brandon to help me keep Al from ruining our sisters fun.

 

“They’re both adults, and believe it or not, likely to be as bad as you are with Gus.” Brandon says, realizing that was not helping. “I suck at this.” He shrugs.

 

“They’re just flirting. Let it go.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, but can either of you tell me you like the idea that guys are looking at our sisters that way? And yes, I’m including you Brandon, you joined our group the girls are part of your responsibility too.” Al tells us.

 

I laugh at Brandon’s scared look. It was one thing to say we could be friends, but to put the responsibility of sisters on anyone, yeah that was scary. 

 

“Good God, are you really that big of a caveman? From what I’ve seen, the girls are just hoping to get out and have fun the way we all are. And yes, we’re all going to be here to make sure they don’t get in over their heads, but you know Jenny and Amanda aren’t doing anything all of us haven’t done in the past. If you go over there, you become the overbearing brother.” Ken tells him.

 

“Yeah but…” Al stutters, growling again when Amanda giggles at something one of the guys whispers in her ear.

 

“Ken, we’re taking one for Al.” Brandon tells him, yanking him off the sand and pulling off the shirt Ken was wearing.

 

“Dude, you do get that I’m more into the girls then you.” Ken jokes.

 

“You were hiding that under a shirt the whole time?” I accuse, seeing Ken was ripped.

 

“I didn’t want you deciding on me instead of Al.” Ken jokes.

 

“Come on. Hopefully you know how to play volleyball.” Brandon tells him, showing off bronze skin.

 

I laughed when Amanda swallowed at Ken and Brandon walking towards them. Jenny smirked as the women stared at Brandon, tilting her head at Ken. Then I started to get up. I mean, she’s my little sister. Al yanked me back down.

 

“We get to be cavemen from afar.” Al tells me.

 

“Why are we being cavemen?” Hunter asks, sitting next to us with Dee, then looking to see what Al and I were staring at. “Ah, the moment you realize they’re no longer the cute little girls we once thought they’d always be.” Hunter laughs.

 

“Boys, I swear you both look like fathers. Do the girls a favor and don’t make them want to do all the things you two likely want to do to each other.” Dee tells us.

 

“Not helping.” I tell Dee, as Al growls again.

 

“Will it help that Justin and Brian called to let me know Cameron and Anna begged to come here? And since they don’t know how to tell either of them no, they are going to come here. By the way, Emmett says to get your freak on now, since Samantha begged to see her Al.” Hunter tells us.

 

Al completely melted at the thought of his two girls coming. My sister Anna had all of us wrapped around her little finger, and Al was the worst. And Samantha was totally his. 

 

“We need to go get stuff for the girls. And Cameron wanted to go sailing.” Al told me, no longer worried about Amanda and Jenny.

 

“I’ll be here with Dee. We’ll make sure none of the guys get too friendly.” Hunter tells him, laughing at Al’s excitement over having Samantha, Anna, and Cameron here.

 

“You know, Dad will likely leave Cameron here.” I tell him.

 

“Which you’ll love, since he’s your favorite.” Al teases as we head to the car.

 

“He’s not my favorite, it’s just that I was there to help raise him. I always felt like he was more than my little brother.” I tell him.

 

“What about Jenny?” He asks.

 

“I guess for me it was different. Ben, Michael, Mom, and Mama were almost trying to outdo each other to prove who was the better parent. Jus and Dad let me be involved in everything to do with Cameron, and it’s the same with Anna. Only, now they’re more together then they’ve ever been and Anna doesn't need me to be more than her favorite brother.” I tell him.

 

“Do you want to do that? Have kids one day?” Al asks, and I realized we’d never really said one way or the other about the subject.

 

“Maybe after we’ve had a few years of just us. I wouldn’t mind seeing what your genes could produce.” I tell him.

 

“You don’t want a baby that comes from you?” Al asks.

 

“No. I honestly don’t. But not for any bad reasons. It’s more about the fact that, to Jus, it never mattered how we came to him, just that we were there. If you wanted me to I would, but my children don’t have to biologically be mine for me to want them.” I tell him.

 

“We could adopt. There are kids who need parents and don’t get them because they’re no longer cute little babies.” Al tells me.

 

“You don’t want one that comes from you?” I ask, throwing back the question at him.

 

“It wouldn’t make them any less mine, but if we decide to have one of our own I’m good with it.” Al tells me.

 

“We need to talk about where we’re going to live, since you have to be closer to the base.” I tell him.

 

“What about what you’re planning to do for a job?” Al asks.

 

“I want to talk to Hunter about it. We both help with small business. I could still do that even if we lived outside Pittsburgh. I kept thinking I needed to do it on my own, but it doesn’t change anything if I take what the Liberty Group does and expand it. It’s really about helping out the community.  And it’s not like Liberty Avenue is the only community that needs the help. I plan to work with businesses, but I like what Jus started in Pittsburgh. So combined, it’s perfect, and I can be mobile to be with you.” I tell him.

 

“We need to start looking for a place where you can have an office at home.” Al tells me.

 

“Just don’t say it in front of my dad. We’ll end up having to kill him when he buys a house, claiming he planned to so he could visit us, and oh well, since he owns it we might as well use it.” I tell Al.

 

“It’s something I love about you.” Al says as he parks.

 

“What?” I ask.

 

“That you don’t feel like we have to compete with your dads to be happy.” He tells me.

 

“That sounds too much like my mom’s problem.” I tell him.

 

 

AL

 

I wanted all sorts of things for the girls to do when they were here. I figured Emmett, Drew, Brian, and Justin could go have fun while we got to hang out with the kids. Like I told Brandon, when you join in Gus’s family you become part of it. Amanda and Jenny were pretty much joined at the hip, and it surprised me Amanda didn’t give up my name to Jenny. Of course, she probably thought it was funny that I hated the name. Which I don’t really, I just didn’t need the guys razing me about it at work, at home, and at every party we threw.

 

I figured Brian likely invited my mom to come too, so I didn’t have to worry about what Jenny and Amanda were up to. Which meant I could play. Gus needed that... sometime to play. He tended to be the adult even when he tried not to be. It's a part of him, but there are times when I want to see him carefree, and his younger siblings bring that out in him. I love our times when it's just us, and when he moves to be with me, we'll have that. 

 

One of the things that separated Gus and his mother to the point he can't be around her was the way she sees everyone as only being there to give her things. It makes it harder on Gus to accept the things that Brian is dying to do for him. But I also respect Gus for wanting our life to be what we want it to be. He could have picked someone who could afford the kind of life he grew up in, but for Gus it wasn’t about money, but about loving the person he was with. There were many nights when I was in a county far from Gus, knowing how lucky I was that his love for me never wavered. I wanted Gus to have everything in his life. Including Lindsay, if she could for once see Gus and not a ticket to the life she thought Brian owed her and Gus. Only, I never got what she wanted, since Brian wasn’t like me or Gus, he was one hundred percent gay. From everything Gus told me over the years, until Brian and Justin got married, she accepted it and encouraged both Brian and Justin. Gus said it was more about Justin for her, but she lost all chances with Justin because of her attitude.

 

“Al stop.” Gus tells me.

 

“What?” I ask, looking around the store.

 

“You have the look you do when you think about my mom.” He tells me.

 

“I just wonder why she can’t give up on her quest to get you to help her.” I tell him, wishing he could have what I do with my mom.

 

“Dr Turner and I talked about it once, but all we could come up with was that my mother doesn’t want to believe she can’t eventually get what she wants. Dr Turner also said that in her own way my mom believes she knows what I should do.” Gus tells me.

 

“For her, not you.” I tell him.

 

“I think that’s a given. It’s why I don’t even try anymore, and there’s nothing you or anyone else can do to change the person she pretty much is.” Gus tells me, reading me the way he always does.

 

“It’s hard for me. My mom is great.” I tell him.

 

“And your mother and Mama are enough for me. Mama turned out pretty great too.” Gus reminds me.

 

“I love you enough to want you to have everything.” I tell him.

 

“Do you love me enough to marry me now, since everyone will be here?” Gus asks.

 

“You don’t want to wait?” I ask.

 

“I told you my goal was to be married, I don’t need the circus.” Gus tells me, kissing me.

 

We both turned to see an woman who looked a hundred years old standing there clearing her throat.

 

“Young man, do him a favor and marry him however he wants.” She tells us, patting my shoulder.

 

“It’s my plan to make sure he has what he wants.” I tell her.

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

GUS

 

When I called Mama and told her what Al and I wanted to do, she told me that she and Leda would be on the next flight out. She was sniffling when I told her she was the first person I told. She always ended up being told things somewhere after the dads. After talking with Al, I realized I tended to tell her second or third, only because Dad and Jus were usually the first people I talked to when I made big decisions.

 

Dad told me he’d get everyone to the beach house, since they were the ones interrupting my party with my friends. When they arrived, Cameron was running to the house, likely trying to get away from Anna and Samantha expecting him to play with them. He launched himself at me.

 

“Gussy, save me from having to play dress up with them.” He joked.

 

“We don’t need you anymore, we have Al now.” Samantha tells him.

 

At first Brandon stayed on the other side of the room when Dad and Jus came in with the kids. Anna was the one that helped Brandon by going over to meet the new person that she planned to have for her friend. She got Brandon to agree to play with her and Samantha. My dad backed off when Brandon readily agreed to do anything the girls wanted. Jus was going to check on Hunter when I asked to talk to him and Dad first. 

 

“Hunter is doing great, so you can stop worrying about him.” I tell Jus.

 

“What did you want to talk about Sonny Boy?” Dad asks.

 

“Al and I don’t want to wait, we want to get married this weekend.” I tell him.

 

“Is there a reason?” Jus asked.

 

“I really just want to be married to him, and waiting just doesn’t make a lot of sense when everyone can be here for the small wedding we want. Mama already said she’d be here and we just have to get Al’s parents, Nana, Ted, Blake, and Max here and we’ll have everyone we want.” I tell them.

 

“What about your plans for working? Don’t take that as either of us objecting to what you want, if this is how you want to do it, it’s how we do it.” Dad tells me.

 

“I gave it a lot of thought and I can continue what Jus has been doing. In other words, branch out the Liberty Group to other communities. I can help the small businesses, and work with people wanting to start businesses. I kept thinking I had to do it on my own, like being part of the family businesses made it less me showing what I could do. Only, I have nothing to prove that I can’t prove by growing what Jus started.” I tell them.

 

“With you and Hunter helping the whole time.” Jus tells me.

 

“I know. But I never wanted to feel like I had advantages because of you and Dad.” I tell them.

 

“It’s something none of you can avoid. You do have advantages because you are our children. Only all of you were raised understanding that it doesn’t make any of you better than anyone else, just luckier, because you didn’t have it as hard. You wanting to continue what Justin started just means you see the merit in what Liberty Group was created to do, and that it shouldn’t just be beneficial to one community but to any that need it. What you want to do means helping others, not yourself. Us backing you up financially means helping to get the businesses that are in trouble help faster then if you had to start from the ground up.” Dad tells me.

 

“It’s why I started it, to give people the chance to succeed, and I couldn’t be prouder of you for wanting to help the community that’s going to become your home.” Jus tells me, hugging me. 

 

“I guess we need to buy a house close by for when we visit.” Dad says, smirking at me.

 

“I’ll ask Nana to look for something for you while she looks for a place for Al and I to live.” I tell him, smirking back.

 

“Of course. But you know the kids would want to be as close to you and Al as we can get.” Dad tells me, walking outside.

 

“Gus, he’s dealing with you being away from him, but he’s always going to want to make sure you have everything.” Jus tells me.

 

“I have Al, and that is everything.” I tell him.

 

“Cameron wanted to spend time with you. Why not do that while I keep your dad from buying half the properties he’ll tell Nana to look at for you.” Jus tells me, smiling as he walked over to my dad and they both walked to the beach with their arms around each other.

 

I went to see where Cameron was and found him sitting on the chairs out back. He was slathering himself in sunscreen since he was like Justin and burned if he didn’t. He hated that Anna tanned while he burned. He smiled Justin’s smile when I sat next to him.

 

“Emmett is going to kill you when he finds out you're in a rush.” Cameron tells me.

 

“I didn’t want a big wedding, and the more we were planning the bigger it seemed to get.” I tell him.

 

“Dad really likes Al. He said hopefully all of us will find the same thing one day.” Cameron tells me.

 

“I hope so too. Want to go and play some games together in my room?” I ask.

 

“Anything not to have to watch that.” Cameron says, watching as the girls start burying Brandon in the sand. “He really must have pissed Dad off to agree to that.” Cameron tells me.

 

“He hit on Jus.” I tell him.

 

“Let’s hope Dad doesn’t decide to help.” Cameron laughed as he followed me to my room.

 

Cameron and I were playing for close to an hour before we heard Emmett shrieking. “I guess Dad just clued him in.” I tell Cameron.

 

“Are you moving away?” Cameron asked.

 

“Al has to be near the base, so yeah.” I tell him.

 

“So I can’t just see you when I want.” Cameron says, not looking at me.

 

“Cameron, look at me.” I said, waiting for him to look up. “If you need me, all you ever have to do is call and I’ll get there. If Al and I could stay at the loft we would, but his job makes it so we can’t. It’s why I wanted a job where I could work from anywhere, because being with him means supporting where he needs to be. I’ll always be there when you need me.” I tell him.

 

“I know. It’s just weird, since you’ve been close by all my life. Dad said he planned to buy something near you and Al, and we could visit. It would be cool if you and Al lived near the house Dad buys.” Cameron tells me.

 

“Good God he has you helping him.” I laugh, ruffling his hair.

 

“If it means us being together as much as possible, I’m going to help him.” Cameron says as he hugs me.

 

“I’ll remind you of that when you find someone.” I tell him.

 

 

AL

 

Brian was sitting next to the water when Justin came in to talk to Emmett. I went out to sit with him after Emmett shrieked about us changing the date. Brian was smiling with his shoulder shaking as Emmett started naming everything he needed to get done.

 

“You made Justin tell him?” I ask.

 

“Better him than either of us.” Brian tells me.

 

“Are you okay with what we want to do?” I ask.

 

“It’s the same thing Justin and I did; got married the way we wanted to.” He tells me, shrugging.

 

We both looked back when Emmett called Hunter to gather the troops, holding a pad and writing instructions.

 

“We didn’t include Emmett for this reason.” Brian jokes.

 

“He’ll get everything done and keep the guys and girls busy, so, win.” I tell him, looking annoyed when Jenny and Amanda brought a couple guys from the frat with them.

 

“I see the girls found friends.” Brian glares.

 

“See, you get it.” I tell him.

 

“Yep. And like you, I’ll reserve judgement and hope we raised Jenny as well as we raised Gus. Although it doesn’t hurt to make sure they know they’re being watched.” Brian tells me.

 

“Al, I called Nick and he thinks he can get everyone on your team here, but said thanks for the short notice.” Justin tells us, handing Brian a beer.

 

“Now that Justin is here, we wanted to talk to you.” Brian tells me.

 

“Is this the sex talk?” I joke.

 

“No. It’s the us wanting to make sure your okay with what we have planned talk.” Justin tells me.

 

“Gus wants to buy our house on our own.” I tell them both.

 

“It’s not about that.” Brian tells me.

 

“Then what?” I ask.

 

“We both want you and Gus to be the people in charge of Cameron and Anna if something ever happens to us. And no, we aren’t worried something will, just that we both know you and Gus would make sure they were taken care of if something did. I know it sounds morbid a couple days before your wedding, but we planned to talk to both of you about it when you came back from here. Until now we had Molly in charge, but we both know the kids would want to be with you two.” Brian tells me.

 

“You didn’t even have to ask. Both of us would be honored to do anything for the kids.” I tell them.

 

“Would that include living in the cottage house next to the house we’re planning to buy?” Brian asks, handing me his phone.

 

“You never give up do you?” I ask him, looking at the house that Gus and I could afford, and the house next door wasn’t outrageous either.

 

“When it comes to my kids or Justin, no I don’t.” Brian tells me.

 

Chapter 13 by starlight

GUS

 

Mama asked me if we could have time alone together. I couldn’t say no to the only real mother I had. Al was picking up his parents, who hadn’t been able get here until the day before the wedding. We ended up having to go to out because the kitchen was covered in food being prepared for everyone to eat after the wedding. Mama hooked her arm through mine, hugging me as we walked into the restaurant.

 

“It’s killing me that you’re getting married, but in a good way.” She tells me.

 

“I want it to be done already, which I’m sure Emmett wants to kill me for.” I joke, as we were seated.

 

“It amazes me. You got it right the first time. Most people don’t.” She tells me.

 

“Even with all the mistakes, Dad did too.” I tell her.

 

“He was always lucky like that.” She said smiling, all the other feelings she once had about it no longer were there for her.

 

“It’s something I have in common with him. Even though I never wanted how I met Al to happen, I don’t regret that’s what it took to have him in my life.” I tell her.

 

“You’ve really let her go haven’t you?” She asks.

 

“I had you to be there when I needed a mom. I know you made mistakes, but you found a way to be the mother that she couldn’t be. Dad said it to me after I left the house with Al; that even with everything she did, she gave him me. It’s the same for me, she gave me you to make up for her mistakes.” I tell her.

 

“You had to make me cry, didn’t you?” She asks, wiping her eyes.

 

“I know sometimes I don’t always include you in things the way I should, but it doesn’t change how important you are to me.” I tell her.

 

“Al had to be first, and I understand that. I don’t care how I find out, only that I know.” She assures me.

 

“Are you ever going to marry Leda?” I ask.

 

“It’s not something either one of us need to be together. I like the idea that neither of us need a piece of paper to prove anything to each other. It doesn’t mean I think getting married is wrong, it’s wonderful when it’s what you want.” She tells me.

 

“I didn’t really think I would want to get married, until I met Al.” I tell her.

 

“What was it that made him the one for you? I see it, but it’s just we never talked about how you were so sure.” She tells me.

 

“He was there when I needed someone to listen to me. I spent so much time worried and confused about my sexuality, and with him it didn’t matter how I defined myself, because Al was who I wanted. We didn’t jump into anything, because we didn’t need to rush. We both knew in the end we planned to spend the rest of our lives together. We both talked about everything, not letting anything be off limits. For me, it was knowing he loved me for me. That he could handle that my family would always want to be a part of our lives, but not letting anyone run over what we want.” I tell her.

 

“Which your dad only tries to do because he loves you.” She tells me.

 

“I realized I was fighting Dad for the wrong reasons.” I tell her.

 

“You’re nothing like her.” She tells me.

 

“I know it, but sometimes when Dad wants to hand me things, it’s hard to see it. I thought I had something to prove. Only none of you need me to prove anything, you just want me to be happy. I decided to branch out the Liberty Group, instead of trying to start it from the ground up. I kept seeing letting Dad and Jus help me as wrong.” I tell her.

 

“They only see it as the reason they worked so hard, to make it so you and the rest of the kids got everything you wanted. It’s why I worked the way I did, for you and Jenny.” She tells me.

 

“It’s why I’ll work my ass off to do the same for the kids Al and I will one day have.” I tell her.

 

“Do me a favor and accept what your dads and I did for you.” She asks me.

 

“Al and I want to buy our first home.” I protested.

 

“We aren’t buying the house for you. We all understand why you want to do it. But could you let us pay for it to be decorated when you decide on a house?” She asks.

 

“I can live with that, and you can tell Dad that I love the house he found too. Since both of you didn’t try to buy it for me.” I tell her.

 

“Well at least neither of us will have to sell the houses we bought. Did I mention I’m your other neighbor?” Mama says, laughing.

 

“You do realize Jenny will be close to a base full of men?” I asked, pretending to be horrified.

 

“Along with your father and Al keeping them in line.” She pointed out.

 

When we got back to the house Daphne and Nick were outside talking to Jus and Dad. The beach beyond them was covered in with my family. Mama went to where Leda was talking to Ted and Blake and joined them. I felt arms wrap around me, and turned to kiss Al’s lips that were waiting for me.

 

“Any doubts?” He asked.

 

“Not a one.” I tell him.

 

The guys from his team came with their wives and girlfriends, in time for Emmett to put them to work setting up the tables along the beach, with Emmett inspecting every detail until Nana told him it was perfect. 

 

Instead of having a bachelor parties separately, Dad rented out a restaurant so everyone could be together. I made everyone promise no more speeches, and just to relax with Al and me. When everyone started leaving to go to their hotels, Al and I walked out to the beach together past all the decorations, away from the lights. We’d been surrounded by everyone and wanted our time alone until we separated for the night.

 

“I could climb into your window.” Al whispers.

 

“You did, the night I needed you most.” I tell him, thinking of the tree house.

 

“Were you impressed?” He asked.

 

“I think you could call it having the shit scared out of me. You didn’t make a sound getting up there.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t realize it then but my future snuck up on me while I was sneaking up on you.” He tells me, stopping and holding me so we were facing each other.

 

“I never asked you, how were you sure it was me?” I ask.

 

“You didn’t let the fear of going for what you wanted stop you.” He tells me.

 

“Marry me.” I tell him.

 

“That’s the plan. One of the best ones I ever had.” Al tells me.

 

“So like apparently it’s tradition for me to make sure you two don’t do anything fun. At least that’s what Jenny calls it when Dad sends me after you.” Cameron says, giggling.

 

“One day you’ll understand why I love you and want to kill you at the same time.” I said, kissing Al before chasing my brother back to the house.

 

I looked back and Al was being dragged away by Amanda. Cameron and I slept together like we used to, and it felt right having my best man stay with me.

 

 

AL

 

The team showed up early, dragging my ass for a run, since I’d been goofing off on a beach while they were busting their asses. It was their way of letting me know they were waiting for me to get my ass back to work. Nick jogged next to me, since I wasn’t my usual speed.

 

“You ready to come back after you and Gus have your honeymoon?” Nick asked.

 

“As long as you guys help us get moved I am.” I tell him.

 

“Ready to become a Kinney?” He asks.

 

“Kinney-Speaks. And yes, since the day he came into my life.” I tell him.

 

Nick laughed, ordering me to pick up the pace so I wouldn’t be late to the wedding. My mom was waiting with water for all of us, telling me my uniform wasn’t going to marry Gus, so I should get my ass in the shower. I swear my mom could turn all of grown men into little kids when she ordered us around.

 

Emmett arranged it so Gus would enter from one side and I would from the other. Our parents were going to walk both of us to each other, which Emmett only told us fifteen times, I counted. I was grumbling I got it, only to lose my train of thought at seeing Gus walking towards me. Everyone always commented on how he looked like Brian, but to me no one compared to Gus. 

 

We met in front of the altar. I didn’t care about how anything was supposed to be done, I leaned over and kissed Gus because he was there. He smiled when Cameron got between us.

 

“I’d really like to eat before next week, so maybe you two could let the guy actually marry you.” Cameron says, making everyone laugh at how serious he sounded.

 

“Your genes kill me, he can eat just like you.” Brian said, smiling at Cameron.

 

“Which I can’t do if they keep kissing each other.” Cameron snarked at Brian.

 

Gus kissed Cameron’s head, agreeing to not kiss me until we were married. I didn’t really hear the words, I was lost in the man I was marrying. I listened to Gus agree to be mine for the rest of his life and didn’t say I do at first. Anna and Samantha yelled it for me, and I could have left it there. 

 

“I did the day I met you and I do now.” I said, wanting to kiss him.

 

“Now you may kiss your husband.” Cameron tells me, when I put the ring on Gus’s finger.

 

I kissed his ring as he kissed mine, then pulled him as close as he could get with Cameron sandwiched between us. Everyone cheered, but I really didn’t hear them, and Gus told me later he didn’t either.

 

Chapter 14 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I didn’t forget this sorry it took so long for me to update.

GUS

 

Even knowing it was his job, it was still hard to say goodbye when he slung his ‘go bag’ over his shoulder. I wasn’t going to make it harder on him to leave, even when I wanted to scream. Instead, I held him close and told him I loved him with the kiss I gave him. I didn’t ask where because where wouldn’t change that it wasn’t somewhere safe. I had to trust him that he would do everything he could to come back to me. We both agreed that it was better for us to say goodbye at home. It wasn’t like they’d let any of the partners or wives watch them leave anyway. We’d been married for a year, managing to deal with life together. 

 

My friends ribbed me about the fact that Al and I didn’t fight with each other. The thing they didn’t get was neither of us was into drama. I grew up with it, and learned that communication was more important than letting things build up until it became bigger than the original problem was. When I worried about Al’s job, I let him help me through it. If Al had problems with anything, he voiced it and I did what I could to make sure we solved it together. It was rare we had any problems.

 

I looked around the cottage house we bought together, wondering what to do with the next week. I’d taken time off, since Al planned to take the week off too, but duty called and he didn’t want me to change my plans. It wasn’t like I couldn’t just work anyway. I just didn’t have it in me to deal with anyone today. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate either. I got up to go make the bed we’d been lazing in when we both thought we had a week to spend together. I’d walked out when Al’s work phone rang. I didn’t want him to feel like he had to apologize to me for his job. Al took a while before he met me in the kitchen. I saw the apology forming and stopped him by handing him coffee and fixing us breakfast. Al reads me so well, and understood that we were going to be normal until he had to leave me.

 

It was something I learned after dealing with the wives and girlfriends the last time Al’s team was called. Daphne came over to help me, and ended up having to explain to the new guy’s wife that her complaining only made it harder on her husband and didn’t help the rest of them, who were just as worried. I really didn’t want to sit around with the others today, a couple hours later I called Hunter, needing to talk. I knew my dad’s would show up if they thought I needed them, but I didn’t want them to have to drop everything for me.

 

“What’s up?” Hunter answered.

 

“Al’s gone.” I tell him, as there was a knock on my door.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked.

 

“I’m dealing with it.” I tell him, going to answer the door.

 

I laughed when Hunter was standing there with Cameron smiling beside him.

 

“So, I sort of begged to come, since Hunter called to tell the dads what’s up.” Cameron tells me, walking in.

 

“They let you come?” I asked, since usually they would have shown up too.

 

“I told them it was a brother’s weekend, and that while you would probably love for them to come, to wait for you to call them.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Which wouldn’t have stopped them.” I remind him as we go to the kitchen.

 

“Anna is at a sleepover with Samantha, and neither of them was going to tell her she couldn’t go. Not to mention that with me bring Cameron with me, they have a free night together.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Yeah, they almost shoved Hunter and I out the door.” Cameron smirked.

 

“How does he look like Brian when he does that?” Hunter asks, laughing.

 

“How’s Dee doing?” I asked.

 

“Can I tell?” Cameron begs.

 

“Tell what?” I ask.

 

“Hunter’s getting married.” Cameron sing-songed, giggling.

 

“I haven’t asked her yet. I wanted to wait until the whole family got together when you and Al came this week… Shit. Sorry.” Hunter says, cringing.

 

“Even if Al can’t be there, he’ll be thrilled to hear it when he comes back.” I tell Hunter, not wanting him to put his life on hold because of mine.

 

“I’m getting hungry.” Cameron tells us.

 

“And that’s when we know he’s got Justin in him.” Hunter jokes.

 

We ordered in and watched movies together while Hunter filled me in on what my friends had been up to lately. Cameron eventually couldn’t stay awake and laid down next to me, putting a pillow on my lap like he did when he was little and going to sleep. Hunter waited until he was out to bring up my birth mother. I haven’t talked to her, but it didn’t mean it bothered me to hear about her. 

 

“She got into some trouble at her newest job, then tried to file harassment charges against the owner. The thing is, for once I think the guy really did try something on her. He’s been accused of it by most of the women he hires from the program.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Even if he did, her past makes it hard for her to believable.” I tell him.

 

“She tried to get Mel to help her.” He tells me.

 

“I bet Leda loved that.” I tell him.

 

“Not really, but she said if the guy did that he shouldn’t get away with it.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Please tell me Mama recommended someone else to help her?” I ask.

 

“Mel got her a lawyer, who only agreed to help after she talked to the others that filed complaints.” He tells me.

 

“At least she didn’t try to get Dad to help her.” I tell him.

 

“She fucked up with you, and even she knows that slammed the door on Brian helping her in any way. Which he wouldn’t have either way because of what she tried to pull with Justin and him.” Hunter tells me.

 

“You know Dee is going to say ‘yes’ don’t you?” I ask, ready to change the subject.

 

“That’s pretty much what her dad told me when I asked him.” He tells me.

 

“They love you, but then who wouldn’t? It’s weird how lucky we are with the families of the people were with.” I tell him.

 

“It was a bit touchy at first, but Dee made sure they knew she understood what a relationship with me would be like, and that I’d kill anyone who hurt her. I also told them if Dee wanted a child we’d have one and I would love it because it was part of their daughter.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Al and I have been talking about it.” I tell him.

 

“I know you both want one.” He tells me.

 

“We aren’t in a hurry, but eventually we do. I like that we have time with just us right now, but I miss having all the kids around too.” I tell him.

 

“Remember, you can send US back when we drive you nuts.” Cameron mumbles.

 

We spent the rest of the weekend between the beach and checking the businesses that I’d been working with. Hunter trusted me as always, but liked seeing the good that came from Jus’s idea. Dad called Sunday to check on me, which had me being a smart ass and asking if he forgot me. 

 

“Sonny Boy, when you have kids you’ll forgive me for forgetting anything exists. How are you doing?” He asks.

 

“It’s been fun to hang with the boys, I thought I’d come over and get some Anna time.” I tell him.

 

“Which means I’m going to have all your friends showing up too?” He asks, sounding unhappy, but I knew he didn’t care.

 

“Brandon hasn’t hit on Jus again, has he?” I joke.

 

“No. And right now he’s on my good list.” He tells me.

 

“What did I miss about Brandon?” I ask Hunter, when Dad didn’t continue. Hunter shrugged, looking confused.

 

“Ask your sister when you come home.” Dad tells me.

 

“Brian!” I heard Jus yell in the background.

 

“If Mel and I have to thank Brandon, then Jenny has to deal with her brothers.” Dad tells him.

 

“Which is what?” I said, putting him on speaker so Hunter could hear.

 

“Little miss ‘I’m an adult’ tried to drink half of Babylon last night then tried to entertain the masses by stripping. Brandon got to her before that happened and carried her out, dropping her off at Mel’s house, not wanting her to be alone. Mel was not amused when Jenny drunkenly complained that Brandon stopped her before her debut as a stripper. I was told I had to be nice to Brandon for stopping Jenny and bringing her home safe. I called Alice and asked if that really meant I had to be nice, and Jenny now has all the mothers mad. Yet even Jenny says I have to be nice to Brandon.” He complains.

 

“You got her in trouble so she’s making you pay for it.” Hunter laughs.

 

“I did nothing but question why I had to be nice to the boy.” Dad tells us.

 

“Because you love Jenny and know he didn’t let her do something she would have regretted.” I tell him.

 

“Which means, as my sons you are responsible for being nice for me.” Dad tells us.

 

“Can I tell Dad now?” Cameron asks Hunter.

 

“Tell me what?” Dad asks.

 

“Nothing.” Hunter shouts, as I hang up. “You know, Dee might want to know she isn’t the last person to know.” Hunter tells Cameron.

 

“Then why did you tell us? No one in this family keeps anything a secret. At least I didn’t tell Gus…” Cameron stopped, running out of the room.

 

“Tell Gus what?” I ask him.

 

“That Al called us when he knew he was going, and asked us to come and make sure you didn’t hide in the house all week.” Hunter tells me.

 

“It’s why I love him, he understand what I need when I need it.” I tell Hunter.


Chapter 15 by starlight
Author's Notes:

I'm ending this one here. It will pick up later with Brian and the horrors of being a grandfather.

AL

 

Sitting around waiting for three days when I could have been with Gus was not making my mood any better. I couldn’t even call Gus because we’d been running through the OP, with the idea that we’d actually be on a plane already. Nick wasn’t thrilled when he had to tell all of us we were stuck here another day in wait mode. The new guy, Neil, got in trouble when he answered a call from his wife, who wasn’t my favorite person. The chick acted like she didn’t remember who she married, complaining constantly anytime he was called for a job. I had a feeling he was going to be forced into making a choice soon, if his wife didn’t start getting with the program. 

 

I was reading in my bunk when Neil fell into the one next to me. He’d been pretty cool about Gus when he met him, and I honestly liked him. So I tried to help when I could.

 

“I should have just left my phone at home.” He told me.

 

“You need to have the talk with her instead.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve told her ten times already not to call unless it was life or death. She got pissed when I told her none of the other wives or Gus do this shit.” He told me.

 

“Gus told me she’s having trouble making friends with everyone.” I tell him.

 

“She says Gus doesn’t seem to be doing any better.” He told me, defending his wife.

 

“Gus grew up with Nick’s wife, plus he works. So he’s not sitting by himself all day. We were supposed to be off together this week, but he isn’t calling here because he understands and accepts what comes with my career.” I tell him.

 

“Is he really some rich kid?” He asks.

 

“No. He’s the son of two successful fathers and a successful mother. Everything he has is because he works for it.” I tell him, letting him see I didn’t like the question.

 

“Sorry. My wife overheard the others saying they wanted to go hang out with Gus at the club his fathers own. She got curious and well... She told me about what she found out about Gus.” He tells me.

 

“If she wants to get on the wrong side of everyone, tell her asking Gus or me about it will do it a heartbeat. None of that shit had anything to do with Gus.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, she figured that out when she mentioned it to a few of the wives. That’s why she called today, because they told her to mind her own business. I wanted to tell you I’m sorry if Gus gets pissed about it.” He tells me.

 

“As long as she doesn’t bring it up again, it should be fine.” I told him, glad my teammates wives proved once again they were loyal to Gus. 

 

The next morning we were sitting around waiting for Nick. He’d gotten called into a meeting. When he came out he didn’t look happy, and when he told us we weren’t going I wasn’t happy, because I could have been with Gus instead of sitting around here.

 

“You still have a week off to spend with Gus. If we get call I’ll have someone to cover you.” Nick told me, making me want to kiss him, not that I did.

 

I got home and to an empty house, but we’d planned to go to Pittsburgh yesterday anyway. I changed into my jeans and repacked my bag with normal clothes. I called Brian, who told me the family was having a special dinner that Hunter asked them to have. I asked Brian to keep it from Gus that I’d be there, then asked to talk to Justin.

 

 

GUS 

 

I patted Hunter on the back and kissed Dee when she accepted, after rolling her eyes at Hunter’s nervousness when he asked her to marry him. Luke didn’t say a word other than to congratulate them. Luke’s outlook on life had changed, but only because it took him months to get Tom to take him seriously. But once Tom did, Luke didn’t want to blow it. 

 

“You doing okay Sonny Boy?” Dad asked me.

 

“I wish Al could have been here, but he’ll be thrilled.” I tell him.

 

I looked around for Jus, who had disappeared a few minutes earlier. Anna came over, distracting me by asking me to read her a story. She laid her head on my chest, making me think about doing this with my own daughter one day. She barely got through half the story before falling asleep. I sat there as everyone started sitting around the room. Dad picked up Anna, and Jus came in, only to leave again with Dad to put Anna to bed. 

 

“Gus, can you go see if I left my phone in the treehouse? I’m going to check my room.” Cameron asked before running up the stairs.

 

I got up while everyone talked about going out together tomorrow night with Brandon. Jenny practically ran after Cameron saying she’d help him look in his room, probably to avoid another lecture about why you only drink with people who don’t let you do stupid things.

 

I stood at the ladder of the tree house, resting my head on the tree. I prayed Al was safe tonight, and that he would be home soon. Climbing into the treehouse I looked around with the flashlight we keep for the kids when they wanted to spend the night in here with friends. I didn’t see the phone, but I also didn’t want to go right back. I sat the same place I did the night Al climbed through the window, changing my world. It wasn’t like the last time. I wasn’t a confused, angry kid. Instead I knew who I was, who I loved, and was at peace with my world around me. All because Al climbed through the window and into my life. 

 

I jumped when I heard a thump on the roof, thinking maybe something fell on it. Then I almost had a heart attack when feet came through the window. And somehow managed not to scream like a teenage girl when Al smirked at me.

 

“I’m going to kill you.” I told him, lunging myself at him.

 

“I did my ninja shit and you’re not impressed.” Al jokes, with a pout.

 

“How are you here?” I asked, breathing him in before kissing him.

 

“It’s where you are.” He whispered.

 

“But you were…” Al kissed me again.

 

“But I’m here and will be here for the full week.” Al tells me.

 

We both looked up when Cameron popped his head in. “Dad wanted me to give you these.” Cameron tells us, shoving sleeping bags in before leaving. “Oh, and he said to tell Al- ‘Be all that he can be’.” We heard as Cameron giggled, getting down.”

 

Al and I barely got any sleep, talking about plans for the week and the next chapter of our lives. He agreed that it was time to get back at my dad. Hopefully he’d deal with being a grandfather without screaming in horror.


This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1225