He's mine. by starlight
Summary:

This is from Deb Tanner's plot bunny, Lindsay leaves Pittsburgh after she lied to everyone saying Brian impregnated her the old fashioned way. She meets Justin, who she never figures out is weathy but still uses to take care of Gus for her. Leaving Gus with Justin after a year. He finds out the woman he knew never existed, and the child he loves is his when he's listed as the father on the birth certificate.

 

Lorie, as always you inspire me with all your cheers, and Deb thank you for coming up with interesting stories, and also writing ones I love too.


Categories: QAF US, Plot Bunnies Characters: Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Craig Taylor, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, Jennifer Taylor, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Female Character, Original Male Character, Other Cast Regulars, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, What if...
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 94943 Read: 222121 Published: Feb 25, 2018 Updated: Oct 16, 2018
Story Notes:

1. Chapter 1 by starlight

2. Chapter 2 by starlight

3. Chapter 3 by starlight

4. Chapter 4 by starlight

5. Chapter 5 by starlight

6. Chapter 6 by starlight

7. Chapter 7 by starlight

8. Chapter 8 by starlight

9. Chapter 9 by starlight

10. Chapter 10 by starlight

11. Chapter 11 by starlight

12. Chapter 12 by starlight

13. Chapter 13 by starlight

14. Chapter 14 by starlight

15. Chapter 15 by starlight

16. Chapter 16 by starlight

17. Chapter 17 by starlight

18. Chapter 18 by starlight

19. Chapter 19 by starlight

20. Chapter 20 by starlight

21. Chapter 21 by starlight

22. Chapter 22 by starlight

23. Chapter 23 by starlight

24. Chapter 24 by starlight

25. Chapter 25 by starlight

26. Chapter 26 by starlight

27. Chapter 27 by starlight

28. Chapter 28 by starlight

29. Chapter 29 by starlight

30. Chapter 30 by starlight

31. Chapter 31 by starlight

32. Chapter 32 by starlight

33. Chapter 33 by starlight

34. Chapter 34 by starlight

35. Chapter 35 by starlight

Chapter 1 by starlight
Author's Notes:

*****The plot bunny changed to fit my idea but essencial is all Deb Tanner's fault since it stuck there when I read it a while ago. As I mentioned I'm trying to write it differntly than my normal first person.

The knocking on his door was not what Justin needed. He was in the middle filling in the details on the panel before he added the words, and in truth, he hated dealing with people. He ignored it, figuring whoever was knocking would realize they had the wrong door since no one ever visited him. Only, the person seemed to think if knocking didn't get his attention, then ringing the bell was the answer. Throwing his pencil down, he prepared to make sure whoever was at his door understood to go away.

 

Only he didn't expect what opening the door got him. He didn't say anything to the blonde woman, who pushed into his apartment, making noise and not caring if it disturbed half the building since she was standing there panting while holding her stomach looking like she was in some major pain.

 

"Look, I know we haven't met, but I need someone to help me. My baby is coming." She told him.

 

"Call 911, it seems to work when you need help." He told her, trying to get her out and close his door, not willing to get dragged into a stranger's drama, since he avoided even people he knew, not wanting to invite anyone into his life.

 

"I did, they haven't sent anyone, and this baby isn't waiting." She panted, then screamed loud enough that most of the building probably heard her.

 

Justin stood there trying to figure out why she thought it was his problem, but in the end, grabbed his keys and helped her into his car. Wondering why he couldn't just ignore everything, the way he had for a few years now.

 

The whole way to the hospital the woman alternated between breathing loudly and screaming even louder. Not really being one to pry into anyone's life, Justin just drove, hoping to get there fast and dump this problem in someone else's lap. Only, for some reason when they got to the hospital the woman seemed to think Justin wanted to join in her pain and latched on to him, making the nurse think he was the father. No one listened to his protests and managed to get him changed and shoved into the room while the blonde woman was apparently giving birth. No one listened to his explanation that he really wasn't the father. Which only caused Justin to turn around and try to get out of the room. There was no way he wanted to see this nightmare-inducing shit. Of course, the doctor who was coming in the door just thought it was the nervous new father, and dragged Justin to stand next to the blonde woman, who put a vice grip on his arm to keep him from getting away. At that point, Justin resigned himself to staying around and seeing what the fuss was all about, it wasn't like she was letting him go anyway.

 

"By the way, I'm Justin." He introduced himself since he got an unwanted view of a sight normally reserved for someone who caused the birth to be necessary.

 

"Lynn Pet... Kinn..." Was all she got out before the next few words, which were really funny since she somehow sounded so proper cussing and Justin went from thinking it was funny to cussing with her when she grabbed his hand hard enough to make him astounded she didn't break it.

 

It seemed like hours before he heard. "And we have a boy. Would you like to see your son?" The doctor asked Justin, who was about to explain how unlikely it was he would ever manage to get it up for a woman, let alone knock up a woman when the idea of pussy was an erection killer for him.

 

The doctor handed him the baby without waiting for an answer, and Justin couldn't say a word. Looking down, he did something he never believed was possible, he fell in love at first sight.

 

"Have you thought of names?" A nurse asked, looking at a dazed Justin, mistaking him once again as the father.

 

Justin turned, figuring Lynn likely had one, only to have the doctor ordering the nurse to get him out of the way. Justin stood there with the baby in his arms, watching as the doctor was working to keep the baby from being an orphan. No one paid attention to him and the baby until Lynn was back with them, which left Justin imagining a life where this baby was his. When the doctor managed to get Lynn out of danger, the nurse came over and carefully took the baby from Justin.

 

"How about we name the baby?" She asked him like he needed a distraction.

 

Justin tried to think of a name he wouldn't have wanted to kill his parents for, and then settled for one he actually chose once for the first friend he had. "Gus?" He asked like he needed someone's permission, which he really thought he did.

 

"Gus is nice." The nurse told him and wrote it down.

 

Justin stayed with Lynn when no one seemed to question why he was there, and he really worried about Gus, not Lynn. He didn't want Gus to be left to strangers, which somehow made sense in his head, even though he was pretty much a stranger until he got dragged along. Only he wanted to see if somehow what he thought he felt when he saw Gus was real. Love always seemed foreign to him. His mother kept telling him she loved him, but didn't stop him when he left home as soon as the money in his trust from his grandparents was released into his hands. Which led him into a relationship, only to find out the money that made his life easier was also a strong motivator for a guy to pretend to be gay and in love with Justin. Justin was lucky to find out the truth, and at that point was done welcoming anyone into his heart. Only, apparently, his heart didn't get the memo, because this tiny bundle named Gus didn't care that Justin's heart no longer believed in love.

 

When Lynn woke up, she didn't change the name, she just agreed to it. Then reintroduced herself to him only as Lynn, while waiting for him to tell her who he was. "Justin Taylor." He told her, not really paying attention to anything but Gus while he fed him. Forgetting that it was no longer a name he went by but didn't think she would tell anyone since she didn't seem to have anyone either. He stayed, thinking he had nothing pressing so staying with Gus until Lynn was ready to go back home wasn't a hardship.

 

Justin figured everything would get back to normal after she went home. Although Lynn seemed to think that him seeing all of her somehow made them best friends for life, or a babysitter, since every time she visited, Gus was left with him. Justin didn't complain, because well, Gus was the only person he could love, and apparently the love was returned with every smile Gus seemed to reserve for Justin and the cries anytime Lynn showed up to take Gus with her.

 

As the first year went by, Gus stayed more with Justin than Lynn. Justin's world became about Gus, and in a way Gus got Justin to venture back out in the world. There were experiences Gus needed and Justin planned to make sure the child got them. Gus didn't seem to notice his mother not being around. Justin was fine with it since he really didn't get her, he only let her believe he enjoyed her company in order to keep Gus with him. Justin wanted Gus to know that he would make up for what Lynn didn't seem to see as part of her job for being his mother. On his first birthday, Justin made sure to do everything the mothers at the park talked about being important. Lynn showed up long enough to tell Justin she needed to go somewhere for a week. It wasn't unusual that she left Gus, so Justin didn't really question her, just made sure Gus's birthday was perfect.

 

Only, a week came and went with no contact from Lynn. Even the number she gave him no longer worked. Gus didn't notice her absence, but Justin worried since if something happened that required a legal guardian, there was no one. It didn't matter that in essence, he was the only parent Gus knew, doctors required legal guardians. His publisher, Sandi, was the only person Justin talked to and trusted not to involve anyone unless Justin asked, so he explained everything to her. Between the two of them, they hired a detective to see if he could find out anything and what he told them caught Justin off guard.

 

"Whoever she is, it isn't Lynn Peters, which is the name she rented the apartment under. In fact, it's like she didn't exist before she showed up here. You need to prepare yourself for this next one. Apparently, she put your name down as the father." He told Justin as if that would bother him.

 

"So, as far as anybody is concerned, he's mine?" Justin asked.

 

"A lawyer and DNA should take care of it." He told Justin.

 

"But if I wanted to keep him, there's nothing anyone could do?" Justin asked.

 

"That's right. But if she comes back, there's a chance she could take him back." He told Justin.

 

"Not if I file for sole custody since she abandoned him. As long as I don't say he isn't mine, then it should work, right?" Justin asked him.

 

"Justin, are you really serious, he's not even yours," Sandi said, thinking Justin had lost his mind.

 

Justin looked down at Gus playing at his feet, and at that moment Gus showed everyone sitting there exactly what he and Justin knew from the first day.

 

"Dada," Gus said, climbing on Justin's lap.

 

"He's mine in every way that counts," Justin told them, and made it understood that the truth they knew, they needed to forget.

 

It took a month before a judge was willing to declare what Lynn did as abandonment, but didn't require anything but the birth certificate to give Gus to Justin. Justin worked hard on his comic because living off his inheritance was no longer an option. That would be left to his son, Gus Taylor. In the next year his comics became a must-have for serious comic collectors, and once again Justin's life changed because people wanted to meet the man who created their hero. With Gus still young, it made it easier on Justin to take him with him. Justin never wanted Gus to be without him, or worry that one day he might not come home. Which Gus didn't remember about his mother, but Justin did, and he refused to ever let his son think Dada could be gone.

 

Justin started to realize that not only did Gus show him love was possible, but he also made Justin stop living in the bubble he had created to avoid people. He found friends in readers who sometimes didn't have friends, and looked to comics for them. It also made his comics sell faster because he was known for appreciating the people who came to conventions to meet the authors. Which wasn't always the case when the authors hit it big. Justin avoided his hometown until Gus was four. By then the pain associated with Pittsburgh vanished. Gus took that away by loving Justin, and he wanted to show Gus where he came from.

 

"Dada, am I gonna likes your friend?" Gus asked while they waited for Daphne to pick them up.

 

"She was excited she gets to meet you," Justin told him.

 

Justin hadn't really known what to expect when he called Daphne since he didn't stay in contact with her either. It wasn't because they weren't still best friends when he left, but that their families were friends. He didn't want her to have to lie if anyone asked if she knew anything about where he went. He managed to convince his publisher to drop his last name and make Justin Cole his pen name, leaving his picture off anything that would connect him to what he did. He really didn't think either of his parents would look for him, but if they did, it would lead to a dead end. Justin could admit to himself that it was not wanting to know nothing had changed and that his parents would still feel the same way about his form of pain management, they would ignore it.

 

When he called Daphne, she was only angry that he waited years to call her but told him he was staying with her so she could spoil Gus. Which was Daphne's way of telling Justin nothing had changed as far as she was concerned. Justin warned her he didn't want to see his family and she told him what he had missed by staying away. Justin wasn't really sure he wanted to see his mother yet but figured he'd make a decision while he stayed for two weeks.

 

"Dada?" Gus asked, getting Justin out of his head and back into the real world.

 

"Sorry, I was thinking too much again," Justin told him, deciding they needed to get their bags before meeting Daphne out front.

 

The airport was bustling and Justin picked Gus up when people seemed to be too busy to notice him. Which was proven when someone bumped into him while talking on the phone.

 

"Sorry." The guy said, smiling at Gus.

 

"It's fine..." Justin said, looking at the guy and losing his ability to speak.

 

The guy smirked like it was normal for him to do that to everyone. "Cute kid." He said before he went back to ignoring everyone but the phone. Justin watched him walk away, not getting why the guy made him wish he was the one picking him and Gus up. When someone yelled loud enough that even the intercom couldn't have competed with him, Justin realized what he was doing, but thought at least he had a name to go with the fantasy. Brian.

 

Brian barely concealed his annoyance that Michael had never learned yelling tended to annoy everyone around him. He wanted to kill Ted for needing time off and Cynthia for getting married the same week. Although it was the best time since they had a break in accounts and it was the only time they all could be out at one time, leaving one of the senior execs in charge. Brian wouldn't have left if the lead on Lindsay hadn't sounded more promising than all the others. Only she managed to leave before they found her again. In the five years since she disappeared, running from the bullshit she pulled on him and Mel, Brian didn't give up. He wanted the truth, if Lindsay really had his child, he was going to do everything in his power to get it away from her. Mel still believed the lie Lindsay told her and went on to a new life. The child Lindsay claimed Brian slept with her to create didn't fit into her life. Brian understood and welcomed Mel's exit from his life. They'd never been friends, and when Lindsay told her the story about a night that never happened between them, Mel, of course, believed it, since she knew Brian and Lindsay once slept together in college. Only, Brian managed to get the truth out of the guy he was fucking the night Lindsay showed up to get what she needed to make the child Brian refused to give her. The guy, thinking that telling Brian how Lindsay paid him to help her would get him another night in Brian's bed, found out that what it got him was ostracized by all of Liberty Avenue.

 

Brian turned to see if the guy with the kid was still behind him, not really sure why. It wasn't like he went after guys with kids, but he did appreciate beauty when he saw it.

 

"Jesus Brian, I don't have all day to wait for you. Can we go?" Michael said, annoyed that all of Brian's attention wasn't all on him.

 

"If you were busy I could have just called for a car," Brian told him, following him.

 

"NO... I mean, you know I'm always there for you." Mikey told him, pretty much letting Brian know he still wanted more than what Brian would give him.

 

"Where did you go anyway?" He asked, as they started walking towards the doors.

 

A whirlwind came running by, making Brian laugh when she yelled for a Justin, and he turned to watch the guy he ran into get swallowed by the whirlwind. Justin looked up, smiling at him while trying to pay attention to the kid and the whirlwind.

 

"Brian, come on, the meter is running." Mikey told him, narrowing his eyes at the guy Brian was eyeing.

 

Brian didn't understand why it bothered him to walk off, but it did. It wasn't like there was any reason, since he didn't know Justin, and kids had complications written all over them. It was the first time Brian ever thought he really wouldn't mind the kid either, which was the moment he finally moved, wondering what was wrong with him. He got in the car, not really wanting to talk to Mikey, but he knew there was no way around it trapped in the car.

 

"I got us passes to Comic Con, and this time you promised to come with me." Mikey reminded him.

 

"We'd have more fun doing something else." Brian told him, hoping to get out of it.

 

"Brian, this year is the first time the author of Rage is going to be here. If I can get him to autograph enough copies I can sell them and not have to ask you to help me out this month." Mikey tells him, as if he wouldn't end up asking anyway.

 

Brian wished he could go back to the day he'd supported Mikey's dream and change it, since it seemed to mean he would be supporting Mikey forever. Mikey didn't get that there was more to a business than reading comics, and spending the money he made on more collectables.

 

The first time Mikey got in a hole, Brian helped because he didn't need Deb crawling all over him, reminding him that he encouraged Mikey to quit a good job for the money pit that Buzzy told everyone was the reason he was selling out. With his search for Lindsay and running his company, Brian didn't need Deb chasing him down expecting him to drop everything to help her fix Mikey's problems.

 

"Hello, I was also thinking about you." Mikey said, when Brian's attention wasn't on him.

 

"Then listen to Ted about what you should do with your earnings." Brian told him, wishing the car magically was at his loft.

 

"Ted doesn't understand the comic business. People come in hopes to find the collectables I've bought as an investment. I know you think I'm wasting my money, but it's long term. If I sell the collectables, it won't matter that I'm not selling as many comics." Mikey told him.

 

"Which I could agree with, if you would sell the collectables when people show up trying to buy them." Brian told him, waiting for Mikey to explain why he was turning down paying customers.

 

"I can't just sell them to anyone. Those are rare items, and the guys who came seem to think it doesn't matter what they do to the collectable." Mikey told him.

 

"When people offer to pay twice what you did, they can fuck the collectable as far as anyone running a business needing the profits is concerned." Brian said, not having the patience he normally did with Mikey.

 

"And when Justin Cole signs his comics for me, I'll do just that. Only, authors can be sort of picky about signing a lot of copies, it's why I invited you, Ted, and Emmett to come to help me. I expect you to make sure they don't ditch us." Mikey demanded.

 

"When is it?" Brian asked, just wanting to shut Mikey up.

 

"Tomorrow night. Which works because Ted will be back from the stupid couples thing he did with Blake." Mikey answered, still not happy that Blake wasn't willing to put up with Mikey's expectations of everyone doing what he wants.

 

Mikey pulled up to the loft, and as usual, seemed to think Brian needed him to hang out. Only, Brian for the first time, stopped him.

 

"I have a lot of work to get done. Before you say anything, it's my condition for going with you, leaving me alone to get done what I won't get done if you're here because you think what you have to say is more important to me." Brian told him, grabbing his bags.

 

"I can watch TV, and make sure you don't forget all the work you're saying you have to do. And then go out and get your dick sucked. Then use work again to skip out on me tomorrow." Mikey complained.

 

"I've got a better idea. Run the fucking store yourself, instead of hiring an assistant you can't afford to pay." Brian told him, slamming the door to the car.

 

Brian got up the stairs and into the loft, letting the silence get rid of the headache spending time with Mikey constantly caused.

 

Mikey didn't understand why Brian was still looking for Lindsay. He thought she did them all a favor by disappearing with the child. At the time it happened, Brian was barely holding back his own anger at what Lindsay did, and didn't care what Mikey was saying to Lindsay.

 

Thinking about it didn't help the headache Brian needed to get rid of, which even getting a trick wouldn't help. Brian took the hottest shower he could and by the time it was done, fell into bed, letting his mind wander to the guy at the airport and all the things they could be doing together.


Chapter 2 by starlight

Justin could see Daphne trying to find Justin in Gus. While he didn’t have a problem telling Daphne the truth here in person, he wouldn’t do it with Gus able to hear about it.

 

“I’ll explain, just, later.” He assured her.

 

“So do you like going with your Dada to the conventions?” Daphne asked, trusting that Justin would tell her.

 

After putting Gus to bed Daphne poured them both a drink and waited to hear about everything, not just Gus. She only knew Justin lived in Chicago after leaving because she looked up the area code when she heard his message on her answering machine. He wanted to wait to talk when he got here so she waited. Only caring that he was coming to see her. While she understood his reasons, it still hurt to lose her best friend.

 

“What do you want to know first?” He asked her.

 

“Why Chicago?” She asked, easing him in.

 

“At the time, I didn’t want to go anywhere I ever talked about. I did go to New York first but left when I realized the guy I met conned me into believing we had a relationship after he followed me to the place I was renting. It didn’t seem like a big deal, but then we grew up we were not really around people who were different from us economically. I just rented something that reminded me of where we lived, and the guy saw me as an easy mark to support his ass. At least I didn’t give him access to anything, just willingly bought shit when he hinted at it. So I left and went to Chicago this time, not renting something that screamed that I was more than a college student. I didn’t have to work, so instead, I looked into different forms of art. Looking for what kept me interested, and well, comics also gave me a way to tell a story.” He told her.

 

“How did you end up with a kid?” She asked. When really, it was all that was left.

 

He started from when he opened the door and then led into the craziness at the hospital. Making sure to explain a couple of times that none of what Lynn did mattered because, in the end, Gus was his. He loved Daphne even more when she didn’t even blink at why he didn’t fight when he was told that because his name was on the birth certificate it was assumed that he was the father. She just showed the support she always did when it came to anything Justin wanted to do.

 

There was one question he had that he knew she wouldn’t sugarcoat for him. “How are my mom and sister?”

 

“At first, not great. Molly struggled with why you went away, and your mom didn’t want her to think you left not caring that it hurt her. Only, your dad decided Molly wasn’t going to believe any of them could stand by you choosing to live a deviant lifestyle. He didn’t understand that nothing mattered to Molly but that you loved her. At that point your mother left, saying she already lost you, she wasn’t willing to let Craig make Molly hate them both too. When she left, she was not willing to stay around people who supported Craig’s views, which meant losing all her friends, except for my parents, who had dealt with bigots of a different form and weren’t going to ever to be accused of pretty much the same thing. She’s doing really great in real estate. And Molly is happier around kids who don’t give a shit where she came from.” She told him, waiting for him to ask what she can see he was hesitant to ask, but like always, he found a way.

 

“Does she ever ask about me?” He finally asked.

 

“She knows that unless you told me I could, I wouldn’t have answered. But she does say that she deserves never to see you again if that’s what you wanted. Molly tells me all the time that if I ever talk to you, to remind you that she would have run away with you.” Daphne told him, watching the smile grace his lips.

 

“Mollusk just misses me covering for her. She was really good at the ‘I’m too small to do that’” He joked.

 

“So, do I get to come to sit next to the creator of the hit Rage? You’re a star, Baby.” Daphne joked.

 

“As long as you don’t mind being ogled by a bunch of preteens, which would probably triple the guys at my booth,” Justin told her, knowing it was pretty much the truth.

 

“Since the con artist seems a step up from my latest dates, you just raised the bar,” Daphne told him, making them both practically fall off the couch laughing.

 

Brian could honestly say when even Ted questioned what we did to deserve following Mikey into teenage hell, that they were getting this shit done and abandoning Mikey to get a drink or ten. Emmett, who tried to find the good in everything, gave up as the teens proved this couldn’t get any tackier by showing up and pretending that their out of shape bodies were enhanced in spandex.

 

“No Baby, spandex is a privilege. One even I don’t indulge in unless I’ve been to the gym religiously for a month.” Emmett informed the deluded and watched when apparently he was scarier to them than the bloodthirsty monster eating a planet on the screen. "They can’t say I didn’t warn them. Which means we need to get this shit done and get a cosmo in my hand to help me forget I got roped into the ‘Mikey wants, we deliver’ society. Can’t wait to see what created acne hard-ons.” Emmett shook his head, seeing future victims in every direction.

 

Brian searched for the place they were supposed to get the guy to sign fifty comics. Praying that he didn’t have to flirt with some old guy to convince him to sign the shit. That was more Emmett’s speed. Granted, George wasn’t as bad as they imagined, in fact, he was one of the few Brian actually would share a drink with, Blake too, except water was on the menu.

 

“I see it, but the line is almost to us,” Blake commented, making them realize that the kids around them were waiting to get to that booth. 

 

Brian looked for Mikey. He had taken off, saying he just wanted to look around before he waited with them to get what he needed. Only to see him stacking comics in a pile, which only said that what they were doing was going to end up paying for more shit for Mikey, not the bills he couldn’t pay. Brian's patience had reached the end. It didn’t matter how much Deb yelled or Mikey demanded, he had a life that wasn’t supporting Mikey any longer.

 

“Give me the comics,” Brian demanded, not that any of them weren’t happy to hand them over.

 

“What are you going to do?” Emmett asked, knowing the look he was seeing.

 

“I sure as hell am not going to stand in a line for three hours while Mikey wastes more money that he could put into taking care of the fucking shop he plays in,” Brian told them tilting his head in Mikey’s direction.

 

“Hand them to me and tell me what you want done. Deb and Michael can scream all they want at me, my patients are detoxing and it’s really nothing new to me.” Blake told him, once again making Brian wonder why Ted took so long dragging Blake home.

 

“Start at the beginning of the line and give them to every kid until they’re gone, while I go get something,” Brian told him, heading to the ATM and taking out as much as Mikey asks for most times. Mikey would have to fight to buy what he wanted. He walked straight to the front of the booth and managed to get the attention of the girl who was standing by the side of it. Then stopped when he recognized her, looking at the table and wondering if this was a sign. Justin happened to be the guy he used to get rid of the headache dealing with Mikey gave him. 

 

“Damn, I thought maybe my luck was changing, but then I guess I can’t beat the guy everyone came to see.” She told him.

 

“I really didn’t come to see him, but apparently my luck is getting better lately.” I commented, watching him talk to groups of kids answering their questions and signing anything they handed him. “He doesn’t care if they don’t have the comic?” He asked.

 

“He only makes sure they actually read it. For him, that’s a fan. In the end, they buy it when they can, so he makes sure to show he cares about everyone, it’s just the way he is.” She told him.

 

Brian worried for a second that maybe he read it wrong, only she cleared it up and brought his world back into focus.

 

“It’s so weird to know we lost touch for years, but I guess when you’re best friends, time doesn’t change it.” She told him, holding back the laugh when she read him correctly.

 

“Who’s kid did he have at the airport? By the way, I’m not a stalker, I just remember the ones who I almost run over trying to get home.” Brian told her.

 

“His son, Gus.” Was all she would say, which peaked his interest that she backed off at that question.

 

The kid in question poked his head up looking for his dad before sitting back under the table. Daphne followed Brian’s gaze, then looked oddly at Brian before shaking her head at whatever she was thinking. 

 

“I better get back there, time to watch the boys drool again, which I must admit was fun.” She laughed.

 

“I wanted to see if Justin would mind giving the kids something to spend with?” Brian said quickly when she started to leave.

 

“Why would you want to do that?” She asked.

 

“Let’s just say a friend lied to us and the kids using the money to out-buy him would just make my day.” Brian told her.

 

“Never something I have a problem with- Revenge.” She said, taking the bills from him.

 

Brian watched as the teens practically tripped over themselves when Daphne walked over and whispered in Justin’s ear. Justin looked over at Brian when Daphne pointed to him and Brian’s Comic Con suddenly got better as Justin came over to him.

 

“Unlike Daphne, I need to know this isn’t going to end up causing problems for the kids.” He said, waiting for Brian to answer him.

 

“I promise, the money is mine. The only trouble will be watching a grown man cry when the kids manage to get anything he can’t afford but will buy anyway. It makes it less likely I’ll end up paying his bills. Here, if there are any problems have them call my company and ask for me, Brian Kinney.” Brian told him, handing Justin a business card.

 

“Well, thanks. Even if it’s revenge for you, the kids gain from it.” Justin told him, starting to walk away.

 

“How about a drink when you’re done?” Brian asked, wanting more time.

 

“Dada, I need to pee.” Gus jumped up and down, smiling at Brian before only looking at Justin.

 

“I’ll take him, the kids are waiting for you.” Daphne said, picking up a bouncing Gus.

 

“I can come back when your done, if you want to meet.” Brian offered, before Justin could run off.

 

“Sorry, but after this, it’s back to being a dad again.” Justin told him.

 

“I can watch him. Take a night off.” Daphne told Justin, winking to Brian.

 

Brian started to think he came on too strong when Justin didn’t answer, but eventually got the answer he’d been hoping for.

 

“I get done at nine. If you’re here then we’ll get that drink.” Justin told him.

 

“And stay out as long as you two want.” Daphne added, as she walked off with Gus.

 

When Justin walked back to the kids, Brian watched Gus chatting away with Daphne. It was the first time he let himself wonder what the baby Lindsay took off with would be like. Then remembered why he came up here in the first place. It didn’t take long for the kids to run to the tables, and the guys only stayed long enough to watch Michael get his ass kicked by preteens before leaving for the drinks they wanted. Brian waved them off before calling Cynthia and asking her to look into Justin Cole, and covered it by saying he saw potential in offering his services. Only to have her remind him the only thing she cared about right now were the services her husband gave her.

 

Chapter 3 by starlight

Justin was standing around, waiting as the last stragglers came by, wanting an autograph, or just to ask about anything. He was nervous. Not because he expected anything, just about Gus not being with him for the first time. Even with putting himself out in the world, Gus was still a part of his new experiences. Justin knew his life was going to change when Gus needed to go to school. He was prepared for times they wouldn’t spend their days together, he just thought it would be later. Letting go and forcing himself to see this as something positive, actually going out with someone, was a step towards his own growth. Two other authors came over to see how things went in Justin’s booth. They were telling him all about seeing some guy trying to fight the teens over comics and losing.

 

Michael’s plans, ones that he worked out years ago at these conventions, went up in smoke. No one knew Cons the way Michael did. The fans always ran to the booths first, which left him the chance to browse for anything he wanted to get. He’d spent years deciding what he needed to complete each collection. This year was perfect, while his friends, who had disappeared without telling him, held his place in line, Michael would show up in time to meet the guy. And he could put away his things before Ted got on his ass again about his expectation of Brian to pull his ass out of the fire. Like Ted understood the comic business. In the end, Michael ignored him, because it suited him. Brian would help him out, he always had. It was what he expected.

 

Michael couldn’t believe he got kicked out because of a bunch of kids. The security guy told Michael to leave when he tried to get the comics he was still deciding if he wanted to buy out of the hands of the kid who grabbed them, not understanding the pile wasn’t for sale until Michael was finish deciding. While he was trying to explain this to the kid, others were there going through and taking the comics, like they had the right to dig through the pile, when it was obviously put aside for him. Michael tried to get the comics back, only to have the kids attack him. The guy running the table didn’t even defend Michael, saying that until they were paid for they were fair game. So he was left outside, waiting around for Brian and the guys to get what he brought them to do for him. At first, Michael stewed when Brian didn’t answer his phone, but the conventions were loud and it wasn’t like Brian and the guys were going to get what Michael wanted for a few hours anyway. He limped off, looking for something to eat, calculating the time he expected the guys to be done with what he wanted. When he returned, the guy at the door still wouldn't let him in and so Michael stood out front as the convention went from people streaming in and out to mostly just out. The crowd had lessened enough that there shouldn’t be any reason Brian or the guys wouldn’t hear his call. The only one who answered was Emmett, and the noise in the background told Michael that once again his friends took off without telling him where they went. Well, they would all hear from him exactly how he felt about that. After they handed over the comics he sent them to get signed. 

 

Brian left the loft when Emmett told him Michael was on the warpath. He covered for Brian at least until Michael searched Babylon, not finding him. Mikey would be better off staying away from Brian tonight. Because there was none of Brian’s usual sympathy for Mikey left in him. Which also brought up the question of where to take Justin. Certainly not the usual places, due to the likelihood of them being interrupted when Michael found them in his search. Brian thought about it and didn’t see any reason not to go to an out of the way bar that was mostly known for food and wine, but still offered harder fare if you wanted it. The plus was that Michael wouldn’t even think to look for Brian there. Which made him wish he had opened his company in a different city. Something which would have gotten him away from the problems his two best friends had caused him.

 

Justin was waiting, still talking to people outside when Brian pulled up. For once Brian was earlier than usual, which gave him time to figure out why this was starting to sound more like a date with each of his choices. Brian got out of the car and liked that Justin noticed him right away, which meant he’d been looking for him. They were in the car and on their way quickly after Justin excused himself from the conversation the others were having to leave with Brian. Justin looked around the place Brian picked and ordered food and wine while Brian ordered a beer to start.

 

“Sorry, Gus’s snacks aren’t really enough after a few hours,” Justin told him, after ordering.

 

“I’m glad we didn’t go to the places I normally haunt since the food runs to peanuts,” Brian said, for the first time not sure what to do.

 

“Where do you normally go?” Justin asked, forcing himself to get past his own social deficiency since his world really contained a four year old and teens to almost adults when he was normally out.

 

“Mostly to the same bar, club, and diner,” Brian told him.

 

“Doesn’t it get, I don’t know, tedious? I spent a lot of time barely leaving my apartment, and when I did, suddenly my apartment was no longer the haven I thought it was.” Justin explained, remembering after he and Gus started to go places how strange it was not being happy to stay locked in all day.

 

“Until recently I never thought much about it,” Brian told him.

 

“My life before my son was almost reclusive. I really didn’t care if I missed out on the things that had seemed so important to me at one time. I got tired of the disappointment that putting myself out there caused. It wasn’t until Gus came in my life that I re-evaluated everything, not wanting him to miss experiencing everything. Sorry, I’m sure you're not interested in my kid.” Justin said, realizing that Gus was all he talked about.

 

“At least you know he should have been important to you. If I ever find… have, a kid, all that will matter to me is that he or she gets everything I can give them.” Brian said, almost wanting to talk to someone about his search.

 

“I just remember finally figuring out love existed when they put him in my arms. It made it easier for me to leave the bubble I had created around me.” Justin told him, barely waiting when the food arrived. “Once again seeing what being a single father does to your life. Eating was no longer when I wanted, but between feeding him.” Justin told him, waiting for Brian to get tired of hearing about Gus.

 

“What about his mother?” Brian asked since there had been no mention of her.

 

“She barely made it a year before taking off and never contacting me again. It wasn’t like we were in a relationship, just raising Gus. I stuck around where we lived for the next year, but Gus needed his own room so I bought a house, for when we aren’t doing conventions.” Justin told him, keeping it pretty much the truth.

 

“Her family hasn’t even heard from her?” Brian asked.

 

“Neither of us were in contact with our families. We never even talked about it. If she had a family I doubt they were close, since no one ever visited her.” Justin told him.

 

“Did she know you were gay, maybe that’s why she left?” Brian asked as if Justin needed him to help him.

 

“Let’s just say, our lives just crossed and Gus was the result. She didn’t have any misconceptions about me or her role in my life.” Justin said, sitting back after eating.

 

“Understand when I ask this, it’s more seeing the kids who show up and hang out at a friend’s place of business. It might sound stereotypical of me, but you really don’t scream ‘comic geek’. What got you involved in comics?” Brian asked, getting the hang of the conversations Ted said happened when you go out on a date.

 

“Art was always my passion. When I left my parents house, college wasn’t in the cards. It was more trying to find a place I could call home. Sitting around by myself meant being in my head too much, and way too much silence around me. I could turn on the TV or the radio, but it wasn’t like they were making conversation with me. I remember a day when there was nothing to do, and then realizing I hadn’t said a word in days. I realized I wanted to work with something where you can carry on a conversation, even if it was with comic characters.” Justin told him.

 

“Wouldn’t it have been easier to walk outside?” Brian asked, thinking it’s what he did when the walls were closing around him.

 

“I’m sure it would have. But at the time I didn’t want to chance someone thinking I wanted more than to exercise my vocal cords.” Justin answered.

 

“What your describing, in some ways sounds more like a real vacation to me than any trip I took to get away,” Brian tells him.

 

“It felt like one when I started. I never had many friends growing up, and I spent a lot of time in my head. But my parent's lives meant having to carry on conversations with people constantly. So when I got away, at first I liked my time being my own and not having to talk about things that really meant nothing to me.” Justin told him.

 

“What made you want a kid if you liked the way your life was?” Brian asked, knowing he really only searched for Lindsay because he didn’t want any kid to be raised by her.

 

“I didn’t know I did, but when they put him in my arms, he became all I wanted. I was lucky that his mother ended up realizing that being a mother wasn’t what she wanted, and skipped out on us. I still have problems letting Gus out of my sight, because I know one day he’s going to want to know why she left, and I really don’t have an answer for him. But he'll always know it's not something he has to worry about from me. One day she told me she had to go out of town. I didn’t realize she meant for good. I’ll never let him know it was on his first birthday. So what about you, what made you want to go into advertising?” Justin asked, to get away from any more questions about his son. He'd lie through his teeth though to protect Gus.

 

“I’m good at what I do, and I wanted a life different from the one I had growing up.” Brian left it there because nothing about his childhood would make this night not go down in flames.

 

“Okay, my turn to be stereotypical. What were you doing at Comic Con?” Justin asked.

 

“Strangely enough, coming to see you, to try to convince you to sign comics,” Brian told him.

 

“Which you didn’t, so what happened?” Justin asked.

 

“A friend of mine owns a comic shop. Although he treats it like a playground and not a business. I’m telling you that so you understand why my friends and I were there. He tends to take what he makes and spend it on things he wants, without taking care of the normal things, like the rent, bills, and paying his vendors. Which means constantly coming to me to help him keep his business out of the red. Him going to the convention though wasn’t for his business since anytime he can get to a Con, he does. Only he got this idea that we should help him get autographed copies of your comics that he could sell.” Brian told him.

 

“Which in twenty years might make the comics worth more. But right now my signature really doesn’t raise the value enough that he could have sold them for much more than he could normally sell them. Also, with me being here signing comics, the people who want autographed copies already have them. He would have been smarter to get you guys to bring merchandise like shirts or action figures, not the comics. I also wouldn’t have signed more than one or two per person, since it takes too much time away from all the other people waiting.” Justin told him.

 

“At first my friends and I were willing to help. But then I watched him piling up comics to buy while we were waiting in the line he should have been in. And I suddenly realized it was time for him to sink or swim with his business. Ready to go?” Brian asked after the plates were clear.

 

When the waiter brought the check, Justin grabbed it and handed it back with his card. “I ordered more than you,” Justin explained.

 

“I asked you,” Brian said, not really used to having someone else pick up the tab.

 

“Consider it my thank you for a new experience for me,” Justin told him, also taking care of the tip.

 

“What new experience?” Brian asked.

 

“A date. Something I didn’t even get with the asshole who pretended we had a relationship.” Justin told him.

 

“Do you need to get back?” Brian asked, not ready to call it a night.

 

“I’m not really much into crowds, especially after the convention,” Justin said, willing to end tonight but actually wanting to spend more time with Brian.

 

“I could show you around Pittsburgh.” Brian offered.

 

“I was actually raised here,” Justin told him.

 

“Anything that interests you, we could go do,” Brian told him, surprised at himself for suggesting something other than his loft, but remembering who would likely show up.

 

“Most of the museums and art galleries are closed,” Justin answered, not being able to think of anything they could do.

 

“I could let you see what my art department does,” Brian said, thinking it was one place Mikey couldn’t just walk in.

 

“I’d actually like that,” Justin told him.

 

Justin thought the location was strange, and when Brian told him it was once a bathhouse, he couldn’t contain the laugh.

 

“Do you use that to entice your clients?” Justin asked, smiling.

 

“You know, maybe we should add that to the packets we send out. Along with a new mission statement ‘Kinnetik will meet ALL your needs’.” Brian joked, showing Justin the boards.

 

“I should have misspent my youth, then I could have broadened my horizons,” Justin told him, thinking a bathhouse would have definitely broadened them. 

 

“Everyone should have a misspent youth,” Brian told him, standing behind him, trapping Justin between him and the desk.

 

Justin turned around, sitting on the desk and letting his hands run up Brian’s chest. It wasn’t like he wanted this night to end without at least knowing what Brian’s lips felt like. Brian leaned down, a breath away from Justin’s lips, waiting for him to decide where this was going. Justin closed the space between them, nipping at first, before licking into Brian’s mouth. Justin’s hands were busy, wanting to feel what the clothes hid from his eyes, loving the play of muscles as his hands reached the skin. When Brian left his lips, it was only long enough to take Justin’s shirt off, before nipping and sucking Justin’s earlobe. When Brian’s hands moved to Justin’s pants, Justin knew he needed to tell Brian something.

 

“Blow jobs are the extent of my experience,” Justin said, embarrassed.

 

“I’ll take care of you,” Brian promised, wanting to make sure Justin remembered this for the rest of his life.

 

Brian could at least do better than Murph’s desk. Since he could give Justin a bed that wouldn’t have Mikey interrupting. Justin followed Brian to his office, thinking the desk would be a good way that Brian would always remember him. But the sofa was Brian’s destination. Their clothes disappeared between kisses and touches. Brian didn’t rush Justin, instead, he made sure nothing on the man went untouched. Justin thought he’d had decent blow jobs, but nothing compared to what Brian’s mouth could do. And the fingers Brian teased him with before breaching him took away any fear of what it would be like when it was Brian’s cock. Brian backed off when Justin wanted to taste him too, and the lush lips that wrapped around his cock outdid the dream Brian had about them the night before. Brian had to stop when Justin showed he excelled at blow jobs, wanting to feel the tightness his fingers told him awaited him. Brian laid Justin on his back, letting the blond put the condom on him. He raised Justin’s legs over his shoulders, pressing forward slowly, stopping only when he was fully engulfed. The pain was all Justin could feel at first. He knew it got better, but that didn’t help when all he wanted was for Brian to get out of him.

 

“It hurts,” Justin said, trying not to whimper.

 

“It’s part of it,” Brian told him, pulling out while watching Justin’s face.

 

As Brian pulled out, Justin didn’t want to stop. Brian thrust slowly back in and watched as Justin’s face went from pain to awaking pleasure. As he pulled out and thrust back, he waited for Justin to start moving with him before going faster. It wasn’t long before Justin moved his legs to wrap around Brian’s waist and used them to pull him back in when he pulled out. Justin stroked his cock when he needed to cum, and did minutes later while Brian hammered into him, finishing behind him. They didn’t talk while they both recovered.

 

Brian caught his breath, thinking there was more he wanted to show Justin. “I need to show you the best part of this office,” Brian said, as he pulled Justin behind him to the bathroom and into the shower that would have to do for tonight. 

 

Brian woke up on his sofa without Justin, who had still been there when he fell asleep. He looked at the time, barely five in the morning, and noticed the note sitting on the table. Picking it up he didn’t look at what fell out when he opened it, just read the very brief note.

 

Brian,

 

Thanks for everything.

 

Justin.

 

Picking up the small card that fell out, he discovered Justin left his business card behind, the way he seemed to have left Brian. Which normally Brian preferred, but for some reason didn’t like when Justin did it. He didn’t know why since they didn’t know each other.

 

 

 

Chapter 4 by starlight

Doing the walk of shame was rather exciting to Justin. For the first time in his life, it felt like he was experiencing things he’d missed, and something just for him. The normal guilt he felt when it didn’t involve Gus wasn’t there and made him realize that both of them needed experiences of their own. At first, he was going to wake Brian up, but decided against it, since there was no reason to think it was more than a one night stand. So he let it stay as what it was, because in the end Gus was his priority, and there was no point in bringing someone around to meet his son when they'd be gone soon.

 

Gus, as always, slept as if he knew Justin wouldn’t let anyone harm him. Justin laid down next to his son, trying to decide whether to contact his mother. He knew she'd have questions about Gus, ones Justin didn’t want to answer. But thinking about the family questions Brian brought up had him thinking about what he would do with Gus if something happened to him. He had time to decide. Until he did, showing Gus around would do. 

 

When Brian got to the loft, he could tell Mikey had shown up, since things were out of place. It drove him crazy seeing shit on the counter when the garbage can was right underneath it. But since Mikey wasn’t standing there Brian didn’t have a problem cleaning up. What he did have a problem with was the note ordering him to be at the diner to discuss why everyone took off without okaying it with Mikey. Brian wondered how the guys got around Mikey finding out they also disobeyed him, by not having the comics. Not that Brian planned to let Blake deal with something Brian should have put a stop to with Mikey years ago. 

 

Brian wondered why Justin took off the way he did, but in the end, knew he didn’t have time to invest the time in anything until he dealt with his own issues. He could at least find out more about Justin, thinking eventually he’d get over thinking he wanted to see the man again. The loft door slid open, but it was just Ted and Blake.

 

“Blake managed to get Michael to go home,” Ted told him, which explained why Mikey wasn’t there, throwing a tantrum.

 

“Did he give you shit over the comics?” Brian asked.

 

“He was more pissed off that he couldn’t find you, but I’m sure that’s coming next. Which is why we thought you could come with us to meet Emmett for breakfast. Emmett suggested we all avoid indigestion since we’d be dealing with the idiot, in addition to Deb’s lecture on why we let Michael get hurt by the bullies at the convention.” Ted told him.

 

“Sounds good, since right now I’d tell Deb what Mikey was doing to get his ass kicked,” Brian told them, going to get cleaned up and changed. 

 

When Brian was ready they drove to a bakery off Liberty Avenue, where Emmett had already ordered for everyone. Likely wanting to tell them all about dealing with Mikey for Brian, and not wanting to have to wait through deciding what they wanted to eat, to talk.

 

“I want you to know, my tolerance for pain is high, but last night I think I finally found my pain threshold,” Emmett told them.

 

“I told you I had no problem dealing with Michael for both of you,” Blake told Ted and Emmett.

 

“Which we appreciate, but it’s time we stop letting Michael think we’re his to do with as he pleases,” Emmett told him, apparently just as fed up as Brian. “Only, last night Michael seemed to want to air all the shit he thinks we waste our time doing. One of which was Brian’s job, and the fact that he thinks Brian needs to make his employees, meaning Ted and Cynthia, start doing all the traveling that interrupts the time Brian could and should be spending with him. Although he did say us, not like I couldn’t read between the lines. Please tell me your evening was worth my pain.” Emmett joked.

 

“So how did it go?” Ted asked.

 

“Actually pretty informative,” Brian told him, not willing to share about Justin.

 

“Informative. What happened, did he end up debating comics in a way that you could have just had Michael do for you?” Emmett asked since he figured it was someone Brian met while there.

 

“Found out that what we agreed to do wouldn’t have really benefited Michael. Even if we got Justin to sign anything, it’s pretty much worthless to the store. He mentioned that with him being here signing copies, it wasn’t likely there would be interest in a signed copy that the people wanting them already had. Mikey’s idea also wouldn’t have worked because Justin wouldn’t have signed that many copies for anyone.” Brian told them.

 

“So not only is Michael hopeless at running a business, he really doesn’t understand the comic business. Are we really surprised?” Blake asked them. 

 

“It’s why I’ve told you to stop helping him. He ignores all the free advice I give him, saying I don’t understand comics. Which, no I don’t, but in the end, business is business. And something you and I do understand is the purpose, profit.” Ted told Brian.

 

“When he loses the store, hopefully, that will get through to him,” Brian told Ted.

 

“Understood. But also understand me, don’t deal with Michael and Deb alone, let us help you.” Ted told Brian.

 

“Have you managed to find out anything?” Emmett asked, hoping for something for Brian’s sake.

 

“The landlord at the very expensive apartment complex recognized her, but once again the name changed. She used Melanie Taylor this time. She’s gone from low rent to exclusive now. I wish I knew how she knows to run before I can catch her. The other thing is, the guy assured me there was never a kid around. Which means she either lied about being pregnant, or the kid could be anywhere.” Brian told them.

 

“I’m still nowhere closer to figuring out where she’d be getting the money that it takes to run as she has been. The money she took from Lynette wouldn’t have lasted this long. Hopefully, she did lie about being pregnant.” Ted told him, not even wanting to know what might have happened to the baby if it even existed.        

 

“Lynette isn’t helping either, this could have been over years ago if she had just pressed charges against Lindsay before she managed to leave town. Lynette couldn’t even confirm Lindsay was pregnant.” Emmett commented, not getting why it mattered what other people thought of anyone in the Peterson family.

 

“She wouldn’t have told them unless it got her something. But maybe what the landlord hinted at would at least piss them off.” Brian told them.

 

“With them, I doubt it would matter,” Ted told him.

 

“Or they would be so proud that Lindsay was doing what she was taught from the cradle. The guy told me Lindsay had a lot of older male friends dropping by at all hours, bringing gifts and barely missing the one before them.” Brian told them.

 

“Just remember, we’re here to do anything that would at least get answers,” Blake told Brian, knowing Brian wouldn’t ask them.

 

Brian’s phone started to ring as they were leaving. None of the guys bothered to ask who it was since they would know after Deb or Michael filled up Brian’s voicemail. Ted and Blake decided to check out a movie marathon they’d been on the fence about, not wanting their day taken up by listening to Michael bitch. Emmett stuck with Brian when he said he was planning to shop for the day. Emmett was more interested in the fact that Brian didn’t mention anything about why he disappeared last night.

 

“So now that we’re out, how about telling me what made the boys at Babylon cry last night when you didn’t grace us with your presence?” Emmett quizzed.

 

“Found something more interesting to try. A date.” Brian told him.

 

“Like where you eat, drink, and actually find out about the other person?” Emmett asked, prepared for Brian to tell him he was kidding.

 

“And have him pick up the tab. He claimed it was a new experience, so it was on him.” Brian told him, wondering why he even told Emmett that much.

 

“Did you explain all of that was a new experience for you too?” Emmett asked, hoping Brian would keep talking.

 

“I would have if he'd stuck around after, but he pretty much made it clear he got what he wanted from me,” Brian told him.

 

“I think I am officially impressed. Any chance you’ll tell me who?” Emmett asked, practically ready to shake Brian if he held out on him. “Wait, I can’t believe I missed it. The comic guy?” 

 

“Got it in one,” Brian answered.

 

Emmett stopped when his phone was receiving multiple texts. “Oh hell, he finally remembered the comics. Deb just texted she would be waiting at our doors since we’re ignoring her.” 

 

“I’ll be thrilled to explain it to her,” Brian told him.

 

“I guess we’re in for all kinds of experiences lately. Can I watch?” Emmett asked, only to lose Brian when he started walking faster in the other direction.

 

Justin called his mom, deciding it was better to know if there was a way for them to have a relationship. Daphne agreed that it was better to leave Gus with her until he was sure what he wanted to do. His mother agreed to meet him at the coffee shop they used to go to when they went out shopping together. He wandered around at first, not wanting to be the first one there. He was also getting up the courage to see her. She seemed nervous when he called, but pretty much left it up to him if they could meet. He stopped procrastinating when it wasn’t going to change that he wanted to see her. She was sitting outside, rearranging everything on the table, making him realize he wasn’t the only one unsure of how today would go. It made it easier for him to sit down when she saw him.

 

“You look great.” She said, studying everything about him.

 

“My life ended up being more than I thought it would be.” He told her.

 

“I want to ask so many questions, but don’t feel like I have the right.” She told him.

 

“Daphne told me about you and Dad. I can’t really even say I’m sorry you left him.” Justin told her.

 

“I couldn’t stay any longer. I just wished I’d done it before you left.” She told him.

 

“It’s okay you didn’t. Well, it hurt, but in a way, it led me to a life I love.” He told her.

 

“Did you go to college?” She asked.

 

“No. At the time I just didn’t want to be around people. I did manage to make a living at the hobby Dad was convinced would go nowhere.” He told her.

 

“Are you painting?” She asked.

 

“Actually I took another direction. I write comics now, and it pays enough that I don’t have to touch the money left to me.” He told her.

 

“As long as you’re doing what makes you happy. It’s all I ever wanted for you.” She told him, smiling at someone behind her. “How are you doing Brian?” 

 

Justin wanted to believe there was no way it was the same person, but the voice behind him squashed that idea.

 

“I’m great Jen. I was running around and saw you, thought I’d stop and say hi.” Brian also thought to make himself comfortable without waiting to be asked. Where’s Molly?” 

 

“She’s out with some friends, I’m actually here with my son, Justin,” Jen said, looking at Justin to at least greet one of her best clients.

 

“With the way you talk about Molly, I’m surprised you haven’t mentioned Justin,” Brian told her.

 

Emmett sat there trying to figure out why Brian invaded the table. Only happy to be there when Brian couldn’t seem to look away from Justin, who barely acknowledged him.

 

“He’s been away for a long time,” Jen said sadly. 

 

“Mom, it’s okay,” Justin told her.

 

“Well, we just wanted to say hi. Maybe if Justin wants to hang out you can give him my number.” Brian told her but directed it to Justin. “I’m sure we can find some kid-friendly things to do with your son,” Brian said, not understanding the bomb he just dropped.

 

“Justin?” Jen asked.

 

“Can you give me a minute? There was something I forgot to tell Brian when we met last night at the convention.” Justin told her, getting up and not waiting for Brian, who followed him.

 

“He didn’t even tell me,” Jen said, realizing how much she lost the day Justin left.

 

“At least he didn’t stay away. Something I did because my family would never really welcome me back. I’m sure he didn’t want to overwhelm you.” Emmett offered.

 

Justin wasn’t angry. Brian didn’t know that what he said was something Justin’s mother didn’t know. It was just not understanding why Brian was there.

 

“Are you following me?” Justin asked.

 

“Emmett and I were looking around, and I figured I’d thank you in person,” Brian told him.

 

“The night was over, it’s not like we needed to talk it to death. If you need me to stroke your ego, thank-you for the best night of my life.” Justin told him.

 

“It could have been a day too if you hadn’t departed so early,” Brian told him.

 

“Which is time I could be spending with my son. The one that you just announced to my mother,” Justin explained.

 

“Why wouldn’t you tell Jen?” Brian asked, not liking that Justin didn’t see the mother Jen was.

 

“Because when I told my family I was gay, she didn’t try to stop me from leaving. It felt like she was relieved. That my leaving stopped the fights that started with my coming out.” Justin told him.

 

“Yet you’re here, willing to talk to her, or were you just here to hurt her by not letting her know there was a child out there she could have been with?” Brian asked, angry at Justin for doing what Lindsay did to Brian.

 

“I didn’t want to expose my son to anyone unless I was sure they wouldn’t end up disappointing him, by not being what he needed in his life,” Justin told him.

 

Brian had to get away from Justin. The words were like knives stabbing him. He spent all this time wanting to believe his only reason to look for the child Lindsay told him was his, was protecting some kid. It was still abstract to him, but how could he feel anything for a child he didn’t know? 

 

“Brian are you okay?” Justin asked.

 

“You also made it so your son might have lost the chance to have more in his life,” Brian told him.

 

“If it keeps him from being hurt, I’d take the risk,” Justin told him.

 

“It hurts more to be the one who doesn’t know,” Brian told him.

 

“How would you know?” Justin asked.

 

“Because my child is somewhere, hopefully happy. But I’ll never know until I find the bitch who ran to cover her own ass. I don’t let myself feel anything, because right now I don’t know if she aborted it, gave it away to strangers who might be doing something no child should ever go through, or simply lied and there isn’t a child. What you said isn’t something I haven’t heard repeated. That my child was better off not having me for a father.” Brian told him, finally saying what he wouldn’t let himself voice before.

 

Justin steered Brian to a corner table, not sure what to do when Brian seemed lost, something Justin understood.

 

“Are you… I feel like I need to do something for you.” Justin told him.

 

“It’s dead end after dead end. I find her and she manages to leave before I can get to her. No one who recognizes her has ever seen a child with her. I can’t even say if I have a son or a daughter.” Brian told him.

 

“I didn’t bother to look for Gus’s mom. Not really caring, since she wasn’t interested. I do know a guy who is pretty good at getting information fast if you’re interested.” Justin offered.

 

“The guy I’m using gets me close, but then she’s gone,” Brian told him.

 

“Maybe someone tells her you found her,” Justin suggested since it made sense.

 

“The only people that know, I trust,” Brian told him.

 

“It wouldn’t hurt to try someone no one you know knows. If you can give him a starting point, maybe where she first ran, it could help.” Justin told him, writing down the number.

 

“It took two years to find out she was in New Mexico, by then the baby would have already disappeared,” Brian told him.

 

“You didn’t know where she was before?” Justin asked, figuring he could at least run it by the detective he used when he got back home, even if Brian didn’t call.

 

“She didn’t go where we assumed she would. For years all she talked about was New York.” Brian told him.

 

“I need to get back to my mom, she needs to meet my son. Good luck.” Justin told him, seeing his mother crying.

 

“How long will you be here?” Brian asked, wanting something he couldn’t name.

 

“For a couple of weeks,” Justin told him.

 

“Can we see each other? Strangely enough, it helped to talk to you.” Brian asked.

 

“Gus really takes up my time,” Justin told him.

 

“I really wouldn’t mind seeing him too, someday it could help me with my own kid,” Brian told him.

 

“I’ll call you.” Justin told him, as Emmett came over.

 

“You left my card, when you left.” Brian reminded him.

 

“Did I forget to mention, I have a photographic memory?” Justin asked him, leaving to take his mother to meet his son. Not wanting to be anything like the person Brian described.

 

Chapter 5 by starlight

Deb made good on her promise to stay and wait until Brian came home. Emmett wanted to see what Brian would do this time. In most cases, Brian would placate her, but after they left Justin, Emmett could tell Brian finally got to the point that he himself had been at for a while. They were all guilty of not wanting to upset Deb. And Emmett suspected Michael used that to get them all to do what he wanted. Emmett always wanted to believe everyone was essentially good at heart, but there were a lot of days he questioned both Michael’s actions and Deb's way of turning the blame for her son’s actions to being someone else's fault.

 

“Now, you can explain what exactly you were thinking, leaving Michael alone when he needed your help,” Deb demanded of Brian.

 

“I guess it was the fact that while we were there trying to help Mikey earn money to pay his bills, he was busy spending it on something other than the purpose we were all there for. I was thinking it was time for Mikey to face the shit he does, shit that somehow you think is my responsibility to bail his ass out of. I also didn’t see a reason Mikey needed us when he was fighting over fucking comics he couldn’t afford with a bunch of teenagers.” The sound of Brian's voice didn’t rise, but there was no mistaking the anger behind it.

 

“You knew when you encouraged him to walk away from a good job to open his store that he'd need your help. But of course, he listened to you, and now you’re complaining about helping him.” Deb tells him. 

 

Emmett could see Brian was going to blow and decided to do what he told Blake that he and Ted needed to start doing. “Wait a minute Deb. Michael was the one who made that decision. Brian only supported his decision, the way he would for any of us. The only thing I can see Brian did wrong was to continue to pour the money he works his ass off for, into Michael’s hands to keep his store from going under. Instead of thanking Brian, you keep finding reasons to keep from looking at Michael as the person who treats his business like a hobby, something Brian and Ted have tried to get through his head. For once, look at the source of the problem. Which is Michael acting as if Brian’s bank account is his, and treats it as a blank check to use for his business.” After saying it, Emmett felt good defending Brian.

 

“Emmett…” Brian didn’t get a chance to say anything more, because Emmett wasn’t done.

 

“I for one believe you need to know what caused Michael’s run-in with a bunch of teenagers. Something we can take the blame for.” Deb was suddenly all ears, of course, it was likely because Emmett was saying they were to blame for Michael. “We foolishly agreed to help Michael when he told us getting comics signed was how he planned to take care of the bills Brian has been forking money over to him for. Only the minute we got there, Michael left us standing on a line while he went off to pile up comics he planned to buy. Now I’m sure you want to believe, the way I deluded myself into believing, that they were for Michael’s store. Which I tried to believe, until Michael showed up a Babylon, complaining about losing the comics he’d been looking for, for his personal collection. So what I was really seeing was once again Michael spending money, while expecting us to do what he needed to earn the money back that he was spending at the convention. He fought a bunch of kids, while we waited in a line to get what he wanted. Until we realized that once again, what we were doing was only going to backfire on us. The only good thing that came out of it was Brian now knows he can’t keep letting Michael use him to get what he wants.” Emmett blew out a breath, hoping Deb would either see the light or at least be too angry to find another reason Brian was to blame for Michael’s foolish dream of owning a business.

 

“He was buying more shit!?” Deb shrieked.

 

“He tried. But well, apparently the teens were a bit more than he could handle.” Emmett sort of joked.

 

“I’ll beat his ass. He borrowed money from me to buy the comics he said would sell for twice as much. Then the money to buy passes, saying it was so you guys wouldn’t have to spend your own money for helping him out. Shit Brian, what are we going to do to make him understand he can’t play at this anymore?” Deb said, apparently only hearing bits and pieces of what Emmett was trying to get through her head.

 

“What you do is up to you. Between Ted and I, we’ve done everything we can to get him to listen to what he needs to do, versus what he is doing. Nothing has worked, and last night Michael proved nothing would.” Brian told her.

 

“Well it will when you, Ted, and I sit him down at dinner on Sunday,” Deb said, walking out, assuming Brian and Ted would do what she wanted.

 

“Emmett, what the hell were you doing?” Brian asked.

 

“Opening my mouth for a change, instead of letting you take the blame. I know you, and you probably already planned to make it so Blake wouldn’t have them breathing down his neck. We all know you have enough to deal with, so let us, like both Blake and Ted suggested, help you. It’s what friends do, in case it’s a new experience for you.” Emmett told him.

 

Gus was thrilled with Justin’s mom, and Jen held the questions back while Gus took all her attention. Justin wasn’t sure what to tell her; the truth brought up too many questions. Justin was glad she was busy trying to make sure Gus got to know her. It gave him time to think about his uncharacteristic offer to help Brian. While Justin could pretend he didn’t want to get involved in other people’s problems, he tended to do it even when he tried to convince himself he didn’t want to. 

 

“Justin, I was hoping you’d agree to have dinner at my house tonight. And would be okay if I took Gus to my house early so we can get to know each other better? I called Molly on my way here, and she really wants to meet him.” Jen suggested as if it wasn’t more then her loving the idea of spoiling her grandson.

 

Justin started to protest, the way he did at the idea of someone else taking care of Gus but stopped before he ended up sounding as overprotective of Gus as he was. Gus needed to have people he could point to as his family. Something that up until now Justin hadn’t seen as being possible.

 

“Gus, do you want to go spend time with Grandma?” Justin asked because he believed in letting Gus make his own decisions.

 

“Ares you comin' too?” Gus asked.

 

“I have to do a couple of things, but I’ll be there for dinner,” Justin told him.

 

“Aunt Daph too,” Gus demanded.

 

“Of course. Dinner isn’t dinner if Daphne and Justin aren’t both there.” Jen said, proving to Justin that she was just as hopeless at saying no to Gus as he was.

 

Jen didn’t waste time getting Gus ready to go with her. She let Justin know she had some shopping to do first, so she wouldn’t be home right away. Justin stood at the door watching until his mother’s car was out of sight.

 

“She kept you alive. She’ll be fine. Since I fell asleep waiting, want to give me the details about you and Mr Hunk?” Daphne asked, pulling Justin in the door and shutting it.

 

“We went out, then he took me to look at his etchings,” Justin told her, wiggling his eyebrows.

 

“What did you do, fall asleep? Since you didn’t come home until almost morning.” She asked.

 

“No Mother. After three orgasms and a shower, I came home.” Justin told her.

 

“Seriously, what the hell is wrong with straight guys, and where can I get one of him?” Daphne asked, jokingly.

 

“He wasn’t too happy with my thank-you note,” Justin told her.

 

“You wrote him a thank-you note? I know all those etiquette classes told us to thank our hosts, but really I doubt they meant for sex.” She told him, laughing.

 

“I didn’t really plan on seeing him again. So I at least wanted to acknowledge the spectacular sex I was given. He thanked me in person after outing Gus to my mother.” Justin told her.

 

“Why would he do that? It’s kind of shitty.” She asked.

 

“He and Mom know each other. And it’s not like I told him, ‘Oh, by the way, my mom doesn’t know about my son. He was just trying to convince me we could spend time together, and including Gus.” Justin told her.

 

“Are you going to see him again?” She asked.

 

“It’s more like, why bother, when I’d only ever visit here. It’s not like I see a chance for a relationship with him.” He told her.

 

“Why not, other people make it work.” She told him.

 

“Because other than he’s pretty good in bed, that’s the extent of what I really know about him,” Justin said, not willing to talk about what Brian told him.

 

“That’s why you date someone, to get to know them. Then you leave when they’re not what you want.” Daphne told him.

 

“Dating isn’t something I want right now. Being with Gus is more important, and I don’t like the idea of someone there one minute and gone the next. Gus is old enough to notice that now, and I won’t let my life be the reason people disappear from his life.” Justin told her.

 

“I understand the thought, but you can’t prevent him from getting hurt eventually. It’s the risk we take by living. He is going to get hurt, and it’s your job to help him through it, not avoid it. You can’t hide from life, for fear of getting hurt again either.” Daphne told him.

 

“I don’t plan to hide anymore. I just don’t really want to get involved with anyone right now.” He explained.

 

“It doesn’t mean you can’t at least have fun with him while you’re here.” She told him.

 

“I wanted to spend time with you, and now that my mom and I are doing okay, with her.” He answered.

 

“Did you tell him you would spend time with him?” She asked.

 

“Sort of… not really… I just told him I’d call.” Justin squirmed.

 

“Then call him. It’s better than making him wait around, the way assholes did to me.” She told him.

 

Justin planned to do that the next day, but for some reason, his mother seemed to think it would make him more comfortable if she invited a friend to dinner. Justin walked in to see Molly and Gus hanging on every word Brian was saying to them. It wasn’t until Daphne came through the door that they even realized Justin was there. Gus jumped up and ran to Justin, making Molly look up and fly to Justin.

 

“Don’t ever leave me like that again,” Molly told him, squeezing both Justin and Gus with her hug.

 

“Dada, that man says he’s our friend,” Gus said pointing to Brian.

 

“Justin, I thought since you know Brian, it would be nice to have him over too,” Jen told him.

 

Daphne looked at Brian and Gus once again, feeling like she was missing something, only not knowing what it was. She let it go, deciding to help this guy, who couldn’t take his eyes off Justin or Gus.

 

At first, Brian was going to refuse Jen’s invitation, but if he read Justin right, the man wasn’t planning on calling him. Other than Deb’s, Brian didn’t do dinners with family, but he genuinely liked Jen, and there was just something about Justin that made Brian want to know more about him. Until Brian figured out why he planned to get Justin to agree to spend time with him. It helped that for the first time, Brian even liked the kid.

 

Jen herded her kids and Gus with her, leaving Brian alone with Daphne, who seemed to be staring a lot at Brian. 

 

“So we meet again, how do you know Jen?” Daphne asked, sitting down.

 

“When I was looking for a building for my company, she was just starting out. I liked that she listened to what I told her and found it without us going through a few hundred listings. Over time we just kept in contact. She never mentioned she had a son, as well as Molly.” Brian told her.

 

“After he left, Justin’s dad, Craig, pretty much made it clear that Justin’s name wasn’t to be mentioned in his house. Jen went along with it to keep the peace for Molly. She only ever talked to me about him. Which wasn’t easy for her to do, since Craig didn’t like me for keeping Justin’s secret.” Daphne told him.

 

“Did he keep in contact with you?” Brian asked.

 

“No. But that likely because he didn’t want me to have to lie to anyone.” She answered.

 

“You’re not angry at him?” Brian asked.

 

“He’s my best friend. And when he left, yes, I was angry. Not because he left, but because he didn’t feel like he had any reason to stay. I refuse to give him another reason to stay away by being anything but the best friend he knows I am.” She explained.

 

Gus came running out of the kitchen to tell them it was time to eat, holding out his hand to Brian to come with him.

 

“I think he likes you,” Daphne said, as Brian picked Gus up. 

 

Looking at Brian and Gus together Daphne thought maybe the fact that they looked kind of alike was the reason Justin didn’t say no to Brian when he asked. Shaking that weird thought from her head she followed them into the dining room.

 

Gus seated Brian next to his father, making Justin wonder if they were all trying to hint at something. Brian compared dinner with his friends to dinner with Justin’s family and wondered why Deb’s started to look more like a chore than a gathering. When dinner was over and Gus started falling asleep, Brian made an excuse, to give them time together. He was almost to his car when Justin came out.

 

“Hey, I know I cut you short earlier, but if you want to talk to the guy I told you about, I’ll call him and tell him to expect it,” Justin told him.

 

“I’ll think about it. But don’t let it stop you from using my number.” Brian told him.

 

“I’m really just here for a short visit,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not asking for a commitment, and when you do visit, now you’ll have another friend to visit. If you’re willing to at least find out if we could be friends.” Brian told him.

 

“Why would you need me?” Justin asked.

 

“Because you brought a new experience in my life,” Brian told him, walking over to him.

 

“I have a feeling you are very experienced in that area,” Justin said jokingly but noticed Brian didn’t think it was. 

 

“You’re the first person I wouldn’t mind seeing more than once. That’s something completely new to me.” Brian kissed him, then left.

 

Driving home, Brian admitted to himself the night wasn’t so bad. He enjoyed the way Daphne and Molly teased Justin. It was their way of showing him they loved him. Instead of going to Babylon, he headed home, still in a good mood. Until he opened the door to the loft and saw Mikey standing there, searching his desk.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Brian asked.

 

“Trying to find the comics you guys didn’t give me. Where the hell have you been?” Mikey asked as if that made it okay that he was going through private client files.

 

“Out. Which is where you are going now.” Brian told him.

 

“Not until you tell me where out was since it wasn’t anywhere I looked.” Mikey nagged, like a jealous boyfriend.

 

“I was spending time that didn’t include you. Since it didn’t include you, that also means it’s none of your business.” Brian told him, taking the files and putting them back in his briefcase. “Nothing in my briefcase is anything you need to go through,” Brian told him, noticing the files were screwed up.

 

“You didn’t tell me you were still looking for fucking Lindsay,” Mikey said, crossing his arms, not willing to move until he got that idea out of Brian’s head.

 

“Once again, something that is none of your business.” Brian reinforced.

 

“I made sure she didn’t stick around, for you. I should be thanked for not letting her think getting knocked up by you meant the happy little fantasy that she wanted from you. Now you’re trying to find her. When I got her out of our lives.” Mikey told him.

 

“Thank you? Are you kidding?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes, thank me. Shit, all she ever did was use you, pretending she was happy with just being your friend. Then she tried to trap you into what she always wanted. I took care of that, FOR YOU.” Mikey shrieked.

 

“Something you and she have in common. I should be thanking the universe that you couldn’t get pregnant.” Brian told him, opening his door. Waiting until Mikey was on the other side, he grabbed the keys Michael left on the bar. Brian removed his key and then opened the door. Mikey smiled like he thought Brian was about to let him in, only to get handed his keys and have the door shut and locked in his face. Mikey remembered he needed the comics and went to open the door again, only to find the key missing. He banged on the door, yelling Brian’s name. 

 

Brian answered, blocking Mikey’s way in. “My key’s missing. I need to look for it. I also need the comics you guys forgot to give me.” Mikey told him, trying to push his way in.

 

“The key is no longer yours since I don’t like the way you invaded my privacy. As for the comics, we gave them to the kids who actually waited in line for an autograph, not tried to buy out the booths.” Brian told him, slamming the door.

 

Brian’s phone rang, then pinged a text. He was going to ignore it but knew Mikey well enough that he would keep calling all night.

 

“Tomorrow I’m taking Gus out to the park.” It read. It was from a number that now meant Brian knew Justin’s.

 

“I’ll buy lunch,” Brian replied.

 

Chapter 6 by starlight

Justin agreed to meet Brian at his loft since the plan was to spend most of the day out together. How that happened, Justin couldn’t figure out. Justin thought they would meet and spend a couple of hours together, but Brian managed to get him to agree to not only the park but to come to his loft afterward since his friends planned to spend the evening having dinner together. Brian told Justin it would give him a few more friends when he came to visit, then told him to bring Daphne too. 

 

As they did before any outing, they went to the store to pick up drinks and snacks. Justin reminded Gus they were going to lunch, so they didn’t need to bring the whole snack aisle. Gus took his time determining what was a must for him to share with Dada and Brian. Gus liked Dada’s new friend and wanted to show him how much by picking something that he could give to Brian. Justin kept from laughing at Gus’s concern that Brian got his favorite snack too since they didn’t have a clue what was Brian’s favorite snack. He called Brian to explain the dilemma his son was having in the snack aisle. 

 

“Why is he getting me something?” Brian asked.

 

“I told him once that he should share with the others he plays with, he took it seriously and made me make a list so they would have their favorite items. He didn’t want you to feel left out.” Justin told him.

 

“What’s he getting?” Brian asked.

 

“He got a couple of apples and a fruit cup for himself but insisted we get snacks for you as we do for the friends he normally plays with,” Justin told him.

 

“I’d rather have what he’s having. Are you guys coming over when you’re done?” Brian asked, trying not to sound like he’d been sitting around waiting for them.

 

“We should be there in fifteen minutes, now that I can tell him to just get you what he got,” Justin told him, hanging up.

 

Gus ran to get two of everything, with Justin trailing behind him. He wasn’t really paying attention to anyone but his son running ahead of him and ended up bumping into a guy loaded down with chips and soda.

 

“Watch where you're going.” The guy snapped.

 

“Sorry, I was making sure my son didn’t disappear,” Justin told him, catching Gus and walking away.

 

Michael was already in a bad mood after Brian acted like an asshole last night. It didn’t help that when he showed up at the diner for breakfast, none of his friends were there. Then his mother barely let him sit down before chewing his ass about what Emmett told her. She wouldn’t even listen when he told her the money he borrowed from her ended up wasted when the guys gave away the comics. Thinking that, as usual, she’d then see it wasn’t his fault. Only instead, she told him that when she got off work, they were going to work together at his shop. Apparently, his friends convinced her that he needed help, and she thought because she waited on people, selling comics was the same thing. Michael left his store closed, and planned to go over and hide out with Brian, bringing the usual shit he brought, since Brian never had anything. He was still smarting over the fact that Brian took HIS key. When the asshole bumped into him, Michael took out his anger on the guy, and then wondered where he’d seen him before. 

 

Justin and Gus were out the door before Michael finally remembered where he'd seen the guy. He was the author everyone was crazy about. Once again Michael remembered why he was pissed at his friends. They had given away all the comics he wanted to be autographed. He looked around the store and of course, they didn’t sell comics, and he doubted the guy would sign a bag of chips. Michael gave up, as he usually did when no one was there to do what he wanted and paid for the food before walking to Brian’s loft.

 

Brian was standing at his windows watching for Justin. He started to think something was wrong with him. He’d never been impatient to see anyone in his life. When he saw them pulling up he went to open the door and go down to let them in. Gus was carrying a soccer ball, while Justin was agreeing to everything that Gus wanted to do for the day. Brian knew there was really something wrong with him because when Gus smiled at him, he actually wanted to do anything to keep the boy smiling. 

 

“Gus wanted to make sure we didn’t forget to tell you he likes to play soccer too,” Justin told him, laughing when Gus nodded vigorously.

 

“Dos you know how?” Gus asked, sounding as if he was testing Brian.

 

“Yes, I do,” Brian told him.

 

“Dada learned because I wanted to kick the ball like the guys on the TV,” Gus informed Brian.

 

“I just need to grab my keys and we can go, then we can see if I remember everything I once knew,” Brian told Gus.

 

Justin had almost grabbed Gus when they got inside Brian’s loft. The place screamed ‘do not touch.’ Brian didn’t even wince when Gus ran all over, looking at everything. There was a small moment he prayed the kid’s sneakers weren’t dirty when he started trying to get on the sofa, only to run to the corner where there were toys that Brian hoped Justin wouldn’t ask about. Brian had woken up early, as usual, and had gone to the gym, where Emmett was waiting for him. They were working out when Brian told him he had plans with Justin. Brian wanted them to do more than just spend the afternoon around each other since he didn’t plan on going to Deb’s house tonight. 

 

Emmett let him know that Ted and Blake invited him to dinner with them when Ted heard Deb’s idea that he and Brian waste their breath once again talking to Michael. Brian told them why not come to the loft, then they could all get to know Justin and Gus. Leaving a shocked Emmett behind, he ended up thinking he needed to make sure Gus had something to do at the loft so Justin wouldn’t have an excuse to leave early. It wasn’t until he was carrying the bags of toys in his door that it occurred to him what he was doing. 

 

Justin didn’t mention it as they left the loft to get in his car. Neither of them saw Mikey standing across the street. Mikey once again only saw what he wanted to see - Brian going out of his way to get Mikey something he wanted. He didn’t even try to get Brian’s attention, figuring he would pull him aside at dinner and tell him to get Justin Cole to agree to do a signing at his shop. He walked off before he saw Brian stop Justin when he finished getting Gus in his seat, and kiss him. No, Mikey was once again living in the world where Brian understood making Mikey happy was his job in life.

 

To everyone watching Justin, Brian, and Gus, it looked like a family enjoying themselves at the park. When kids ran over to play with Brian and Gus, Justin went to sit on the bench, grabbing a pad and pencil, wanting to catch the moment. He didn’t pay attention to the kids around him, thinking Brian would have made a great model for Rage. Eventually, the drawing started to turn into more of a comic of Rage teaching kids to play soccer. Not that Justin intended it to be more than a sketch. A teen sat next to him, watching him work before saying anything.

 

“That’s really good.” He told Justin.

 

“Thanks. Sometimes I can’t stop wanting to draw everything I see.” Justin told him.

 

“It looks sort of like a comic my friends and I like.” He told Justin.

 

“Which one?” Justin asked.

 

“Rage. We all wanted to go to the convention, but our parents didn’t have the time.” He told Justin.

 

Justin flipped the paper and started on something for the kid, for being a fan. The kid watched as Rage was appearing in front of him, and didn’t know what to do when Justin finished and handed it to him, signed.

 

“Thanks for being a fan,” Justin told him.

 

“You’re the author?” The kid asked as Justin nodded. “Man, would you be okay if my friends came over to meet you?” 

 

“Sure,” Justin told him, watching the kid go over to three other guys who followed him back. Justin looked and saw Brian and Gus were still busy and allowed his attention to be taken by the kids asking questions.

 

Brian and Gus were ready for lunch, but Gus told Brian that Dada was busy. Brian could see the kids were excited when Justin answered every question they threw at him. Brian and Gus waited on the bench next to Justin for him to finish.

 

“Do yous like my Dada?” Gus asked.

 

“I actually do,” Brian told him, letting Gus climb on his lap.

 

“Aunt Molly said yous could get Dada to bring me here more. Did you knows I have a grandma and lots of aunts?” Gus asked.

 

“What do you think of having lots of aunts and a grandma?” Brian asked him.

 

“I can tells my friends at home I have them. They all have mommies, and sometimes it makes me sad that I don’t, but now I have aunts, and a grandma, and a Brian. They’ll all be sad they don’t haves a Brian.” Gus told him.

 

Brian didn’t know how to deal with the fact that to Gus, having a Brian was a big deal. “Why wouldn’t your friends be jealous of aunts and grandma?” 

 

“They have those, but now yous Dada’s friend, I so haves a Brian,” Gus told him.

 

“Are you hungry?” Justin asked, not realizing Brian had figured out he also did do love, and his name was Gus.

 

After lunch, Gus was sleeping in the car on the way back. Justin was planning on taking him to his mother’s house, not really sure if Gus being at what sounded like an adult dinner was a good idea. Only, Brian didn’t give him a chance to tell him, instead he carried a sleeping Gus into the loft with him. Justin watched as Brian put him in his bed, waiting by the bed until Gus settled again.

 

Emmett arrived a couple of minutes later with bags, planning to make dinner for everyone. Emmett called Blake and Ted to tell them the change of plans and they all decided an early dinner would keep them from being interrupted. Justin, not really wanting to sit around, went in the kitchen to help Emmett.

 

“Need help?” Justin asked.

 

“Sure. I wasn’t sure what your son would like.” Emmett told him, always happy to have someone to talk to. “Mind if I go see him?” He asked, after emptying the bags.

 

“Don’t wake him,” Brian told him as he came out of the room.

 

“I think I know that,” Emmett told him.

 

Brian walked up behind Justin as he washed the vegetables. “Thank you for agreeing to spend time with me.” 

 

“I’m sure it’s going to be all kinds of fun when Gus figures out you’re staying here when we go home,” Justin told him.

 

“There isn’t any reason I can’t visit,” Brian told him, not sure where that came from, only knowing he wanted to see more of Gus and Justin.

 

“You want to visit two people you barely know?” Justin asked.

 

“How are we going to be friends if it’s only when you come here? I decided I like the idea of new experiences. For once my time off can be spent teaching Gus soccer and learning how to be the kind of father I want to be if I ever find out if my child exists. I could also teach you so much more if you’d let me.” Brian told him, pulling Justin’s lips to his.

 

Emmett came out smiling at the kid, swearing one day he could give Brian some competition. He stopped when he saw them wrapped around each other, thinking maybe he needed to stop messing around because he wanted someone to drown in him the way the two of them did with each other. 

 

The loft door opened as a laughing Daphne walked in with Ted and Blake, causing Brian and Justin to separate. Brian grabbed a beer, pulling out drinks for everyone as they sat watching Emmett and Justin cook. 

 

Deb was almost finished with the food and was starting to wonder why no one was there yet. Brian never showed up on time, but Emmett and Ted were usually there. When the door opened she decided it was better they were all running late since she wanted an explanation as to why Michael’s store was closed when she showed up to help him. Deb had told every person she waited on to come by and see the shop, only to find the door locked and Michael not answering when she called.

 

“Where have you been?” Deb demanded to know.

 

“Getting some flyers made,” Michael told her.

 

“For what, the store you didn’t even open today?” Deb screamed, slapping his head as he passed her.

 

“What the fuck, Ma? I had things to do.” Michael said, rubbing his head.

 

“One thing you had to do is make money, which won’t happen if no one can buy anything. Another is you are going to listen to Ted and Brian tonight and do what they tell you.” She told him. 

 

“What time is Brian getting here?” He asked, excited.

 

“Is that all you heard?” Deb said, ready to shake him.

 

“I need to apologize for upsetting him last night since he's obviously been helping me. Of course, I’ll wait until he apologizes for kicking me out of the loft, like I don’t have the right to be there when I want to be, and for giving away the comics when he should have done what I asked him to do.” He told her.

 

“How is he helping you?” She asked, thinking Brian had listened to her.

 

“The guy who writes the comics I wanted to get autographed, I saw him at Brian’s. Which means Brian realized what he did at the convention was wrong, and is likely trying to convince the guy to help me.” Michael told her, thrilled at the idea that Brian is showing how much Michael meant to him.

 

“Help you do what?” Deb asked, calming down.

 

“Do you know how many people would flock to my store if I can get Justin Cole to agree to sign there? Which I plan to suggest when Brian gets here, and then they’ll stop acting like I don’t know what I’m doing.” Michael told her.

 

Deb patted Michaels head affectionately, thinking Brian and Ted got through to Michael. She couldn’t wait until they got here and helped to make sure Michael’s dream became a business she could be proud of.

 

After dinner, the guys left, taking Daphne with them. Justin stayed behind when Brian set up a train set for Gus. Justin watched the way the two of them were busy trying to set up towns around the tracks. Justin refrained from asking Brian why he bought all the things they were setting up, only because Gus loved the attention. Justin for a minute imagined what it would have been like to have a partner help him raise Gus. He started working on Rage, ignoring how he liked the idea of someone helping him with Gus.

 

Brian’s voice shook him out of his musings. “Why did you give Gus ‘Taylor’ instead of ‘Cole’?” 

 

Justin at first wasn’t going to answer, but Brian had told him something personal. “When Lynn left, Gus still had her last name, but since she put down my real name which isn’t Justin Cole, but Justin Cole Taylor. I only used Justin Cole for various reasons, but it’s not my real name. I filed the paperwork to have his name changed from Peters to Taylor because legally I am Taylor.” Justin told him.

 

“Her name was Lynn Peters?” Brian asked.

 

“It’s the name she used to rent the apartment. Who knows what her real name is.” Justin told him, not looking up from the sketch.

 

Did she look a lot like Gus?” Brian asked, getting up to get something he'd thrown in a box, no longer wanting to remember his father.

 

“Not really,” Justin said, thinking it wouldn’t explain Gus’s dark hair and eyes when he and Lynn were both blond. Happy when Brian stopped asking questions, Justin got lost in what he was doing, not really worried since Brian was playing with Gus.

 

Gus got up and went to see what his Brian was doing. Brian was pulling out pictures he had stored in a box and looked at himself then at Gus, who had crawled up next to him. Gus investigated the box, while Brian compared a few pictures he had of himself growing up. 

 

“That looks like me,” Gus told him, looking at the picture, before pulling out a shell bracelet Brian no longer wore and playing with it. 

 

Brian put the pictures away, not wanting to say anything until he was sure, but praying to a God he no longer prayed to, that his search had just ended. But knowing that until he did, Justin wasn’t going to disappear.

 

“So where do you guys live?” Brian asked as he carried Gus back to the train, sitting next to Justin.

 

“Chicago. When we aren’t doing conventions and signings.” Justin told him.

 

“Did you stay in hopes Lynn would return?” Brian asked.

 

“I doubt she will since she cleaned out her apartment before she left. To me, that said she wasn’t planning on coming back. She never really liked the place anyway. Apparently, she had expensive tastes and one-bedroom apartments weren’t it. I got the feeling that if she ever figured out I wasn’t a starving student, she might have stayed longer.” Justin told him.

 

“Why would you have a kid with her when it sounds like you didn’t like her?” Brian asked.

 

“Dada, I’m sleepy,” Gus told him, keeping Justin from having to continue this conversation.

 

“Nothing about her matters, because she gave me Gus,” Justin told him, packing up his things.

 

Brian let them go, not planning on telling Justin what he suspected until he could verify it. But now the last name Taylor made sense to Brian, and as Justin suggested, it was a starting point on where she may have run.

 

Chapter 7 by starlight

Brian was at the office, making plans to see Justin and Gus later. He wanted to spend enough time with them that when they left, Justin would be willing to let Brian visit them. While Gus was his main reason for wanting to spend time with them, with what Brian suspected, he admitted to himself that getting to know Justin played into it too. 

 

He also made the decision to get someone new involved in the case, but not the person Justin knew. Reese was an old friend from college, as much as anyone was Brian’s friend at the time. Brian had never thought to call him since he dealt in security and protection. Brian met with him, really wanting to ask if he knew someone he thought could not only find Lindsay but manage to keep her where she was until Brian got to her. Reese listened while Brian explained about meeting Justin, knowing Justin’s mother, and why he thought Gus was his.

 

“Why didn’t you call me when she took off?” Reese asked.

 

“You deal with protection and security. I went with someone who finds people.” Brian told him.

 

“Which sometimes we have to do when people threaten the person we’re hired to watch over. I have several people on my staff. Get me the information and it won’t be a problem. After we locate her, I can keep someone with her until you get there.” Reese told him.

 

“What I can’t figure out is how she finds out. The people who know I’m looking for her, I trust.” Brian told him.

 

“You have to remember, even if you only told the core group, sometimes they might not realize the person they’re talking to isn’t as trustworthy as you think they are. All it takes is the wrong person knowing something and you have a leak. The friends you trust might not even realize what they said was being funneled to Lindsay. There is also the possibility that the person who’s telling Lindsay just wants her to stay away.” Reese told Brian.

 

“None of them want her coming back, but there are two who would give her information for their own reasons, to keep me from getting answers. Which I might have if Gus is who I think he is. Mikey practically launched a hate campaign the minute Lindsay told everyone I was the father, and Mel would hate me enough to enjoy keeping me from my child.” Brian told him.

 

“The question is, which one could get the information Lindsay needed? Also, from knowing Lindsay in the past, you’d be dealing with the likelihood she’s blackmailing them too. It might be good to look into their financials, and see if there’s any connection between withdrawals and the places you know where Lindsay was at one time.” Reese said while thinking about the Lindsay he remembered from college.

 

“Neither of them could… shit.” Brian stopped.

 

“What?” Reese asked.

 

“Depending on what Lindsay wanted, both had a way to help her. Mel left her firm for a firm that was high profile, and from what Ted knows she’s doing well. Ted and I didn’t look at Mikey’s books, but the way he ran his business, which seems to be him constantly purchasing things, landed his business in the red.” Brian told him.

 

“Which we’ll find out for you. But tell me why you want to believe the kid is yours?” Reese asked.

 

“I didn’t until Justin said the name of the mother. It was too close to Lindsay’s name. Lynn Peters. And the last name we managed to get that she was using was Melanie Taylor, which is Justin’s real last name.” Brian told him.

 

“How do you know you can trust Justin?” At Brian’s glaring look, he continued. “Hear me out, the guy basically claimed a child that he knew wasn’t his. People don’t do that unless they have a reason. Lindsay could have been paying him to keep the kid.” Reese told him.

 

“She couldn’t pay him to love Gus the way he does. Even if what you're saying is true, he wouldn’t have come here when there was no link anyone could find between him and Lindsay.” Brian argued.

 

“They both came from around the same area of Pittsburgh. While it’s a big city, the area they come from is relatively small. It doesn’t mean I’m right, but it’s something to look into, for your sake. Hopefully, I’m wrong and Justin wasn’t here for any reason but the one you know.” Reese told him.

 

“You’re wrong,” Brian told him.

 

“Why aren’t you willing to believe someone you just met might not be who you think they are?” Reese asked.

 

“Because by bringing Gus around me, he has everything to lose and nothing to gain. Justin loves Gus in a way any child would envy.” Brian told him.

 

“Brian, anyone can fake what they need to if it suits their purpose. Just understand, all we’d be doing is making sure you aren’t falling in love with a con artist.” Reese told him.

 

“I never said I loved him,” Brian told him.

 

“No. But you’re also willing to fight me on anything that points to him being anything but what you want him to be.” Reese told him.

 

“I also have eyes, and can see the only thing Gus is to him is the son he loves and would protect with his life,” Brian told him, getting up to leave.

 

“Be careful then, because if we can prove Gus is yours it will leave him wondering exactly why you wanted anything to do with him,” Reese told him.

 

Brian didn’t have time to think about it since he needed to get to work. Unfortunately, he barely sat down before Mikey came barging in. He sat in front of Brian, waiting for him to smooth over everything he’d done. Only they just sat there, with only the look Brian got when someone was annoying him.

 

“Ma wasn’t happy that none of you showed up last night,” Mikey said when Brian said nothing.

 

“Tell her I really didn’t see the point in telling you again what we’ve been telling you all along,” Brian told him.

 

“I covered for you since I saw what you were doing for me,” Mikey told him.

 

“Which was?” Brian asked, wondering what this was about.

 

“Making up for what you and the guys did at the convention. I came here to make sure you convinced Justin Cole to do a signing at my shop on Friday.” Mikey told him.

 

“What makes you think he’d do it because I asked?” Brian asked, trying to figure out how Mikey knew about Justin.

 

“I saw you guys getting in a car together yesterday. What other reason would you have to spend time with him but to help me? Unless he’s a client here, but you would have told me that.” Mikey told him, not even considering any other reason.

 

“Whatever my reasons, not one of them involves you. Now I need to get to work. You know what that’s like don’t you?” Brian said, pulling Mikey out of the chair and ushering him to the door.

 

“I came to see if you wanted to go see a movie since we haven’t spent any time together… Fine, just make sure he knows to be at my shop on Friday by eight since I already plastered my flyers everywhere.” Mikey yelled at the closed doors.

 

Brian walked to the receptionist and controlled his temper. Even though he’d told her before that unless she okayed it with him no one was to past her, he reminded her again. “Unless they are here for a scheduled appointment, they don’t make it past your desk.” 

 

“Yes, sir,” Jessica said, with a tremble in her voice.

 

“Jessica, next time just call me when you see Michael coming in,” Ted told her, following Brian into his office. “Even if she says anything, Michael would ignore it,” Ted told Brian.

 

“Then hire someone to watch the front doors,” Brian growled.

 

“I’ll do that. But since you wanted these reports, why not go over them before you make Jessica quit.” Ted told him, knowing Cynthia would have a few words to say about it, since she’d spent years trying to stop Michael from just barging in, only to be told to leave it alone.

 

Justin was standing there once again, looking at the taillights of his mother’s car as she took off with Gus. She told him that he and Daphne could go have some fun. Which would have made sense if Daphne hadn’t gone to school today. 

 

Justin grabbed his messenger bag and decided to spend the day looking around, but somehow found himself heading to Kinnetik. Brian wanted to do something later with him and Gus, but Justin figured he could take Brian to lunch today since he took him and Gus yesterday. At least that was the excuse he made up in his head since it sounded better than he just wanted to see Brian. 

 

He got to the reception area thinking he should have called Brian first. But since he was here he asked to see Brian. The girl behind the desk asked if he had an appointment.

 

“No. I just wanted to see if he wanted to get lunch.” Justin told her.

 

“You and half of Pittsburgh.” The girl muttered under her breath. “I’m sorry, but Mr Kinney hates to be disturbed unless you have an appointment.” She said, not even asking for his name.

 

“Justin, what are you doing here?” Ted said, coming out of the office Justin knew was Brian’s.

 

“I was going to invite Brian to lunch. I guess I should have called him to tell him I was coming.” Justin told him.

 

“We just finished up. We can go check.” Ted said, shaking his head as Jessica started to protest.

 

“Ted didn’t we just get done…” Brian stopped when he saw Justin standing there. 

 

“Yes, we did. I think I’ll go bring Blake lunch today since Justin said he wanted to take you.” Ted said, leaving Justin standing there.

 

“I thought since you took Gus and me to lunch yesterday, I’d come by and take you. Apparently, my mom decided to kidnap Gus, forgetting all about me. Although I get it, cute grandson probably wins every time over her baby boy. If you’re busy, it’s not a big deal.” Justin babbled, feeling like an idiot since everything they did here was running through his head.

 

“Justin, come here,” Brian said getting up and closing the distance between them.

 

“I could go get something if you need to stay here.” Justin continued but walked until he and Brian were within inches of each other. “What?” Justin asked.

 

Brian didn’t answer with words, but by sealing his mouth over Justin’s. That was all it took for Justin to attack him, although Brian had enough sense left to get them into the bathroom. Not wanting someone to walk in on them. Justin was on his knees the minute the door closed, unzipping Brian and swallowing him as the older man’s back hit the door. Justin’s experience seemed to make him an expert at what he did do before he and Brian got together. Brian didn’t even try to stop him and it was barely minutes before he came. Only to strip Justin and put him on the counter, kissing him while his fingers worked Justin open for his cock. He stopped long enough to put the condom on, but then all thought left his head as the tightness enveloped him. Justin bit Brian’s shoulder, as the pain, while not as bad as the first time but was still there, hit him. Only, knowing what was coming made it easier this time for Justin. Brian angled his thrusts to rub over the nerves that would have Justin no longer feeling anything but the pleasure Brian could give him. Brian didn’t want this to be over quickly, but they were in his office while it was open. So he helped Justin to cum, leaving him limp as Brian thrust faster to reach his orgasm. Brian then helped Justin into the shower, where they cleaned up.

 

“How about we get that lunch now?” Brian asked while they were dressing.

 

“I worked up a big appetite, but lunch will have to do,” Justin tells him, thinking it was ridiculous that he still wanted more.

 

Jessica sat there, prepared to quit if this somehow came down on her head. She waited after Ted walked back by, then waited and waited. It was over twenty minutes before they walked out. Only, Mr. Kinney was smiling. She wondered if she should mark the day on the calendar.

 

“Jessica, anytime Justin comes by, ignore what I told you,” Brian said, following Justin to the doors. “Oh, and get something you like for lunch, and charge it to Kinnetik.” He said, before going out.

 

Jessica looked around, knowing she was awake and at work. But she wondered who the hell was that man that walked out of here and deciding Justin was her new hero.

 

Chapter 8 by starlight

Justin was looking around as Brian was talking on the phone on their way to lunch. They were getting close to the diner when Brian pointed to a deli further down, across the street. Justin stopped next to a crosswalk, waiting for the signal to cross when he saw a flyer about Rage. He pulled it down, trying to figure out when he said he'd do another signing at a place he'd never heard of. Brian hung up and started crossing until he realized Justin wasn’t with him.

 

“Something wrong?” Brian asked, going back to get Justin.

 

“I need to call my publisher and see if she arranged this without telling me. Something she never does.” Justin told him, handing him the flyer and digging out his phone.

 

“Let's order and I'll explain this,” Brian told him.

 

“You know about this?” Justin asked.

 

“I heard and ignored it, but can explain it to you. A friend of mine wants to meet us for lunch, but I have time to explain it to you first.” Brian told him. 

 

“Another friend to convince me I have reasons to visit you? Trust me, I now have a reason.” Justin teased.

 

“Just ignore any questions he asks, his curiosity sometimes takes it too far,” Brian told him, not on board with Reese questioning Justin.

 

“Is he a fan of Rage?” Justin asked since he was used to fans asking all sort of things.

 

“I don’t know, but he just thinks it’s his job to question my friends,” Brian said, feeling like a total asshole for agreeing to this.

 

Justin went to order, telling Brian it was his treat. Brian sat down, hoping Reese didn’t cause him to regret agreeing to this. Although Reese did mention he couldn’t find any link to Lindsay other than that they both lived in Pittsburgh around the same time. He did say that they never really would have crossed paths since Justin was in elementary school when Lindsay and Brian started college. And it was also when Lindsay started rebelling against her upbringing, which meant not being in the places Justin would have been at the same time. Brian was impressed at how fast he was able to get even that much information. Reese just told Brian never to ask how he got it.

 

“So explain the flyer,” Justin said putting down their drinks.

 

“The friend who wanted us to get you to sign the comics at the convention saw us together yesterday. Somewhere in his warped head, he thinks I was making it up to him for not doing what he wanted us to do for him. I wasn’t really paying attention to him when he was yelling through the door after I got him out of my office. He said something about flyers and I was too busy trying to control my temper that my receptionist let him through to really pay attention to what he was saying. So until I saw that, I didn’t realize he actually put up the flyers he was yelling about.” Brian told him.

 

“He just assumed you’d do what he wanted?” Justin asked.

 

“Yes. Because it’s what all of us usually do. Only, I didn’t plan to ask you to do it.” Brian told him.

 

“Even if you did, I couldn’t do it unless my publisher agreed to it. The conventions aren’t just publicity. We get paid to be there. It’s in my contract since the publicist and the venue get a cut of what I make doing them. Even though I wish I could say I only do them for the fans, it’s also revenue I make for creating Rage.” Justin explained to him.

 

“Which makes sense, because in the end what you do is a business. Something Mikey doesn’t understand since he really doesn’t know anything about running his business, just every detail of comics.” Brian told him.

 

“He thought you could charm me into it?” Justin asked.

 

“If it gets him what he wants. But he’s wrong. Because I didn’t keep wanting to see you for any reason other than that I want to. Mikey will figure it out when you don’t show up.” Brian told him.

 

“Am I interrupting?” Reese asked, sitting down.

 

“Not at all. Justin this is my FRIEND Reese.” Brian introduced them.

 

“Nice to meet you. Brian said to ignore you if I didn’t want to answer you.” Justin told Reese, making Brian want to remind Reese that Justin was his. SHIT.

 

“He just hates when I play big brother,” Reese said, smiling at Justin.

 

“So how did Brian convince you to give him the time of day?” Reese asked.

 

“Let’s see. At first, I hadn’t a clue who the guy who bumped into me at the airport was; only thinking, too bad he wasn’t there to pick me up. Then when he asked me out for a drink I said yes, since he gave the kids at the convention a way to buy the things they normally couldn’t.” Justin told him.

 

“So his generosity got him a date?” Reese asked.

 

“Nope. It was the fact that he noticed my son at the airport.” Justin told him.

 

“I was surprised you came here, normally you skip this convention,” Reese said, sounding as if he was big on the comic scene.

 

“Brian told me you weren’t a fan,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m in the closet. But Rage would be enough to pull me out of one. It went from underground to bestseller faster than most.” Reese told him.

 

“I didn’t expect it to do as well as it did,” Justin told him.

 

“The reason I kept buying them was that you allowed the hero not to be perfect in every aspect of his life,” Reese told him, while Brian couldn’t hide the shock of Reese being a comic nerd himself.

 

“I wanted him to be someone others could relate to, and for Rage, he doesn’t see what he does as being a hero, but necessary,” Justin told him.

 

“It works. I heard buzz that they wanted to make it into a movie?” Reese asked him.

 

“Yeah, but with the changes they wanted to make, it wouldn’t be Rage. They offered all sorts of ludicrous amounts for the rights. I just couldn’t let them change Rage into what Hollywood found acceptable.” Justin answered.

 

“Most would jump at the chance for the kind of money they would offer. Hell, they’d likely sell their first born and soul for it.” Reese told him.

 

“I’m sure they would, but my son is worth more than anything they could offer, and I really didn’t need the money when I started Rage. It was just something to do.” Justin told him, thinking Reese being worried about him hanging out with Brian was for the same reason Justin’s ex pretended he wanted him.

 

“Brian mentioned you had a son. I sort of expected you to be our age.” Reese told him.

 

“The minute Gus was put in my arms, it didn’t matter to me. He was mine.” Justin told him. Neither Reese nor Brian could miss the truth in the way Justin said it.

 

“I guess the mother didn’t feel the same way since Brian mentioned you were raising him on your own,” Reese told him.

 

“Brian seems to mention me a lot, considering we’ve only known each other a couple of days,” Justin answered, looking at Brian.

 

Their order was called and Brian got up to get it since it did sound strange that Brian was talking about Justin as much as Reese was telling Justin.

 

“It’s why I wanted to meet you. Brian isn’t normally much on talking about anyone. When he brought you up I could tell you mean something to him.” Reese told him.

 

“We really don’t know each other, but he wants us to get to know each other,” Justin told Reese.

 

“He told you about the baby?” Reese asked, knowing the answer.

 

“He sort of had a meltdown. Which I could understand since I’d never stop looking for Gus if that happened to me.” Justin told him.

 

“Until he talked to you, I don’t think the baby was real to him. Or maybe he just wouldn’t let it be. I’m not really sure, but now that it is, he’ll do anything to find the baby. Just know, the one thing he wouldn’t do was pretend to feel anything if he didn’t.” Reese told Justin. Justin was confused as to why he would say the last part.

 

“Are you happy now?” Brian asked, letting Reese know to stop.

 

“Completely, and I should have trusted you about Justin,” Reese told him.

 

After lunch the three went in different directions, Brian to Kinnetik to wait for Reese to come, and to get a few guys to take down the flyers they found. He made it a point to tell Jessica to let Reese in, and was thanked for her lunch. Brian waved it off, more worried about what Reese might have found that had him practically interrogating Justin. Reese found Brian staring off into space behind his desk.

 

“I come in peace.” Reese joked.

 

“So you understand why I didn’t think he was guilty of anything?” Brian asked.

 

“In my business, we verify first. Especially when there are reasons the client might not want to listen to anything but what they want to hear. I only wanted to meet him, and ruffle your feathers. My investigator was able to get a lot on Justin fast because he didn’t really cover his tracks, just made it harder to find him. Another thing, you don’t have enough to outdo what he inherited and left alone. He uses the funds he makes from the comic to support himself and the kid. I don’t have how he ended up with Gus yet, but we should soon since we know the name Lindsay used when she met Justin. He’s lucky she never figured out how much he had.” Reese told Brian.

 

“You didn’t like Lindsay, but I never asked why,” Brian stated.

 

“Everything about her was about status and popularity. She didn’t care who she had to hurt to get something she wanted. She likely thought I didn’t like her because she looked down her nose at me for coming from the wrong side of the tracks. But the truth was that everything about her seemed fake.” Reese told him.

 

“She didn’t like you because she thought you wanted me. She told me that.” Brian told him.

 

“Yeah, I did. But I preferred to be friends and not a trick. Which were the only two options with you.” Reese answered.

 

“Friends who haven’t talked to each other since college?” Brian asked him.

 

“Doesn’t change that I do see you like that, and I can admit your taste in men has improved. Now on to Mel. I went the direct route with her. She wants nothing to do with you or Lindsay. Apparently, she’s still slightly bitter about the whole thing. Once we get the reports on her, I think she will be in the clear. She did say the doctor Lindsay went to verified that she was pregnant when she left, something she thought you knew. The dates line up that the baby would be four years old by now. And depending on how long she lived in Chicago, the baby could have been born there. I should have something for you in a couple of days about that.” Reese told him.

 

“I feel like shit keeping this from Justin. It’s going to affect him too.” Brian told him.

 

“The longer you wait, the worse it will get. Right now he might be able to understand. But if you wait till later it just makes it look like you kept it from him.” Reese commented.

 

“But by telling him, I could lose any chance with him,” Brian said without thinking.

 

Jessica was ready this time since Michael never seemed to give up. When he ran past her, she jumped up and ran to block his way to the door. No way was she willing to let him past her. She wanted to show not only Mr Kinney but Cynthia, that they were right to give her this job. One of the interns ran in after Mikey but stopped when he saw Jessica and turned to go to his office. Jessica really thought Brent could have at least come and help her, it wasn’t like there were copies to make or faxes to send with everyone out for lunch.

 

“Mr Novotny, unless you have an appointment, you need to leave,” Jessica told him.

 

“Brian needs to explain why the people who work here are tearing down my flyers,” Mikey demanded like Jessica was somehow to blame. He looked into Brian’s office, only to get pissed. “Why the hell is he here?” Mikey demanded, remembering the guy Lindsay once taunted him with, saying he was the kind of guy that just proved Mikey didn’t stand a chance with Brian.

 

“Someone Mr Kinney invited to see him today. Which is why I could let him into his office.” Jessica told him, glad he was still too far away for Mr Kinney to hear.

 

Mikey left angry since Brian used to skip out on him for that guy, and only saw him because he was spying on Brian at the college. While he never saw them doing anything but talking, eating lunch, and playing soccer together, he didn’t like the way they hugged each other on the field at the end of the game or the way Brian never introduced the man to him. He stood across the street watching as Brian walked the guy to a car, both of them getting in and driving off. All Mikey could think was this better just be another trick for him, since Brian was his. Mikey walked off, still mad about the flyers and going to have more made. He cheered up when he convinced himself it was likely Brian was going to make better ones.

 

Brian couldn’t resist a ride in the Corvette, thinking he might need to get one of his own. They drove a couple of blocks before heading back. Reese dropped him off, telling him he’d call as soon as he got the information Brian needed. Brian invited him out the next time he and the guys planned a night out. He walked into his office, to see Jessica smiling.

 

“Everything okay?” Brian asked since normally she was on the verge of tears.

 

“Great. You have a call waiting on line one.” She tells him, wanting to be the one who told Cynthia about it first.

 

 

Chapter 9 by starlight

Justin went over to his mother's house since he missed Gus. He felt good that he was able to let Gus do things without him. But little steps didn’t mean not wanting to be with Gus anyway. When he got to her place she was baking cookies and showing Gus pictures of Molly and him growing up. Justin sat down and looked at them, amazed at how happy his family once was. No longer hurt that his father's smile was missing years later when he looked at Justin. 

 

“Who’s that?” Gus asked me.

 

“My Dada,” Justin told him. 

 

“Are you going to see him?” Jen asked.

 

“Has anything really changed?” He asked. 

 

“No,” Jen said, wishing the answer was different.

 

“I don’t have a problem if he knows, but I won't let Gus be around him. Having Gus didn’t change his problem with me.” He told her, knowing Craig would eventually find out.

 

Jen nodded and went to answer the phone, while Gus turned the pages.

 

“My Brian has pictures of me,” Gus told his father.

 

“What pictures?” Justin asked, confused.

 

“In a box. He showed me.” Gus told him. 

 

“When?” Justin asked, not liking hearing that after Reese was questioning him today at lunch.

 

“When you was drawing, he stopped playing, so I went to see. He had a box and I was with some man in his picture. I played with the shells.” Gus said, none of it making any sense.

 

Justin stayed at his mother's house, waiting until the time Brian told him he'd be home tonight. Jen was thrilled when Justin asked if Gus could stay with her longer. Justin needed to know why Brian would have any pictures of Gus, and feeling like Reese was asking questions that now seemed odd.

 

Brian was about to call Justin to see when he and Gus would be over when his intercom went off. Answering, he was glad Justin was at the door. But he was still trying to figure out how to tell Justin about the possibility Gus was his son. He opened the door wanting to kiss Justin before having the discussion, but Justin shook his head and came in.

 

“Everything okay?” Brian asked since Justin looked upset.

 

“Why do you have pictures of Gus? And why was your friend asking so many questions?” Justin asked.

 

Brian stood there trying to find a way to tell Justin, knowing this wasn’t going to be easy on either of them. He walked to his briefcase, pulling out the picture he used of Lindsay when he started his search for her. 

 

“Understand, I don't know for sure if I'm right, and wanted confirmation before I told you. I also didn’t think anything until you said the name of Gus’s mother.” Brian told him, handing him the picture of Lindsay.

 

Justin stared at the picture of Lynn, trying to believe it wasn’t her. Only he knew it was her. Then he got angry, thinking Brian was there to help Lynn.

 

“She doesn’t get to be a part of Gus’s life. She left him. Never once bothering to even say goodbye to him. She left him on his first birthday for fuck sake.” Justin said, ready to get Gus and leave, hating Brian for helping her.

 

“I'd help you make sure that never happens. I don't want her anywhere near Gus.” Brian told him. 

 

“Then why the hell do you have Lynn’s picture, and one of Gus?” Justin asked, angry, and unable to believe anything else.

 

“That is a picture of Lindsay Peterson. The woman who ran from here, pregnant with my child.” Brian told him. 

 

Justin’s world was crashing around him, not wanting to believe Gus was anyone's but his. 

 

“He’s mine. MINE, do you understand? I raised him and loved him, I'm the one who wiped his tears and stayed up nights when he got sick. I'm the only one he knows.” Justin told him, trying to make Brian understand what this would do to Gus and him.

 

“Justin, what you did for Gus, I'll never be able to thank you for that. Knowing he had you in his life means the nightmares that were possible are gone for me.” Brian told him.

 

“And mine are just beginning! I'll fight you, and trust me I can do it!” Justin screamed.

 

“Calm down. We don't have to fight each other.” Brian told him. 

 

“You expect me to just hand over MY SON? All because you have a picture of the woman who left him.” Justin knew he was being unreasonable, but he wouldn’t lose Gus to anyone.

 

“NO… Not at all. But give me the opportunity to know him. Let me help you, let me be there so you don’t have to do it alone.” Brian told him.

 

“He might not be yours,” Justin told him, grasping at anything.

 

Brian went into the bedroom and pulled the picture out of the box, taking it to Justin. Needing him to understand why Brian thought Gus was his. 

 

“Why did you think I had a picture of Gus?” Brian asked.

 

“Gus tells me everything, and when we were looking at pictures my mother has of me and my sister, he told me you had one of him. Were you having us followed? Did you really accidentally bump into us and then show up at the convention, pretending everything?” Justin asked since he couldn’t figure out how Brian got one.

 

“First, until I bumped into you, and even after, I didn’t know who you were. Second, when you said Lynn’s name, that’s the only reason I thought he could be mine… ours. This isn’t a picture of Gus, but me, when I was around his age.” Brian told him, handing it to him.

 

Justin closed his eyes after looking at the picture because if he wasn’t told it was Brian, he would have believed it was Gus. It was selfish, but in believing Brian, also meant Brian could take Gus from him. Only he couldn’t do that to Gus, who claimed Brian as his.

 

“What are we going to do?” Justin asked, not willing to let his selfish wants hurt Gus eventually.

 

“We’re going to do what we’ve been doing, let Gus get to know me. When you have to go home, all I’m asking is that you let me come with you. I’m not ready to let him out of my sight when I just found him. We also need to make sure Lindsay can’t touch him, by proving I am his father. No, that WE are his fathers” Brian told him.

 

“You really think she would come back, or even bother to want him?” Justin asked, never letting himself believe she’d bother.

 

Brian wrapped his arms around Justin, needing it just as much as Justin did.

 

“She might not, but she knows I’m looking for her. When I stop trying to find her, I have a feeling she’s going to want to find out why, and will likely fight us for Gus.” Brian told him, leading Justin to the sofa and laying down with him.

 

“Why do you think that? I didn’t get to know her that well, just made it easier for her to leave Gus with me. Which she did, a lot, never even asking about what he did while she was gone.” Justin told him.

 

“What you said the other day about someone telling her; it explains how she knows to run. It’s why I hired Reese to find her, but I don’t plan to look for her anymore. She won’t be able to resist trying to find out why she’s suddenly safe from me. Which means I need you to help me make sure she doesn’t find out about Gus.” Brian told him.

 

“Did you figure out how she’s finding out?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t want to believe it, but there are only two people I could think would tell her. One of them doesn’t need to see Gus, because he’d know if he looking at Gus, that there was some connection to me. Gus looks too much like me. Right now Mikey only thinks I’m around you to get him what he wants, but he would see the likeness. And if he’s involved with Lindsay in any way, then we could be dealing with her sooner. I want it so there isn’t any way Lindsay can touch Gus.” Brian told him.

 

“What do you want me to do?” Justin asked, willing to do anything to keep her away from Gus.

 

“We just need to be careful about who sees us together until you leave. I can take time off and go with you. I want to keep seeing you, as well as Gus.” Brian told him.

 

“I won’t keep him from you. I know it was the first thought I had, but it would be selfish of me to do that to Gus. I want to be selfish, but I promised myself Gus would have everything I could give him. Another person who could love him the way I do... I can’t take that away from him.” Justin told him.

 

“How did you meet her?” Brian asked.

 

“She lived in the building I rented my place at, on the same floor. I’d seen her when she moved in. But at the time I didn’t want people in my life, and she pretty much ignored me. I didn’t even know she was pregnant until she showed up at my door, demanding I help her. I ended up driving her to the hospital, being dragged in with her, and then no one would listen when I tried to say I wasn’t the father. So I stuck around since she grabbed me and wouldn't let go. I still have nightmares about it. The minute Gus was put in my arms, I stopped protesting, since he became the first person who made me understand love. I didn’t find out she named me as the father until after she disappeared, and the detective I used told me Lynn Peters didn’t exist. I didn’t care, because I could keep Gus since she used my name as the father.” Justin told him. Then added what he knew about her. “She didn’t seem bad, just disinterested. After Gus was born, more often than not she’d drop him off with me, barely remembering to come to get him. The last time I saw her, she was actually surprised when she came over to drop off Gus and saw a cake and decorations for his birthday at my place. Then she left, like she didn't see a reason to be there, and never came back.” Justin told him, giving Brian the beginning that the detective couldn’t find.

 

“She also didn’t have a clue there was anything she could get from you. It’s likely she used you for a different reason, to not have to deal with Gus. Ted and I think she might have thought I’d give her what her parents wanted; a sham of a marriage that would make her parents include her back in their lives, and if that didn’t work, she could get me to support her.” Brian told him.

 

“It sounds so mercenary, which I didn’t see in her,” Justin told him.

 

“She wasn’t ever happy with what she had. Then she wasn’t happy when rebelling against her parents lost her what little they gave her. Lindsay came second all her life, so I understood why she was bitter and stayed her friend. When she asked me to help her have a baby, I said no, because nothing keeps her interest long, and her girlfriend hated my guts. Lindsay didn’t care that what she wanted could cause problems between her and Mel but relented when I refused. At least I thought she did. Until I found out she hired a guy to get what she wanted from me. It got ugly after that because she told everyone we went the natural route, and then took off, not giving a shit about anyone but herself.” Brian told him.

 

“She didn’t even name him, just left the one I used when asked,” Justin told him, 

 

“Does anyone know you’re not the father?” Brian asked.

 

“You, Daphne, my publicist, and the detective. People I trust.” Justin told him, not realizing he said, Brian. But Brian heard it.

 

“Gus is expecting us to do something with him today,” Justin told Brian.

 

“Pizza and a movie sound good?” Brian asked.

 

“Make sure you order three because Daphne eats more than I do,” Justin told him.

 

“Are we okay?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m still worried. But lying FOR Gus I will do, not to him.” Justin told him.

 

“No matter what happens between us, we share him,” Brian told him.

 

“Here or Chicago?” Justin asked.

 

“Chicago for now, but we’ll work it out,” Brian told him, texting Ted to work the numbers up on expanding Kinnetik to Chicago.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by starlight

Brian left after Gus went to sleep. Justin told him he needed to spend some time with Gus alone. Brian didn’t want Gus to get confused, so they’d agreed they weren’t going to tell Gus anything until the test proved or disproved that Brian was Gus’s father. Even with Justin agreeing to include Brian, he was still being careful of Justin’s feelings, knowing this wasn’t going to be easy for either of them. Brian suggested they tell Jen the truth. He didn’t like the idea of lying to Jen because he respected her. He saw how she was with Molly, and knew that she'd be an ally if problems arose later. He thought including her would help both Justin and Jen, especially if things worked out with Justin.  

 

Justin was trying to be understanding for both Brian and Gus, but there was still a part of him that wished he’d never said Lynn’s name. Brian wasn’t asking for anything but to be included in their life, but Justin couldn’t help how he felt. He hadn’t said anything to Daphne, but he didn’t plan to keep it from her. Even with years of separation, Justin knew Daphne stood by him and would do the same for Gus. And would be there if he needed someone to screw his head on straight. Which he needed after he and Brian picked up Gus. The reality hit Justin hard. He was going to be sharing Gus’s life with his real father; Gus was no longer going to be just his. Justin tried to mask his feelings, not wanting to hurt Brian, since all he wanted to do was go back and say no to Pittsburgh. Nothing Brian did should have made him feel that way, but he couldn’t help it. Even when he knew how selfish it was, especially since Brian made it clear he didn’t plan to separate him and Gus.

 

“Want to tell me what’s going on in your head? You’ve been out of it all night.” Daphne asked, dragging Justin away from watching Gus.

 

“I should have never come here. It’s like Pittsburgh is cursed.” Justin told her.

 

“Is this about Brian?” She asked.

 

“He might be Gus’s real father.” Justin blurted out.

 

“They kind of look alike, but where did that come from?” Daphne asked him.

 

“You think they look alike?” Justin asked, seeing it now.

 

“It was just something I thought when Brian was holding Gus, and when he approached me at the convention. I didn’t think much about it, and dismissed it after.” Daphne told him.

 

“I can see it now, after what Brian showed me,” Justin told her.

 

“Are you going to tell me what led to you thinking Brian could be his father, and before you go on, remember you’re his father in every way.” She told him.

 

“Gus told me Brian had a picture of him, and a friend of Brian’s had been asking questions at lunch that I didn’t really think much about. But combining the two, it made me go ask Brian why he had a picture of Gus. He showed me a picture of Lynn Peters, whose real name is Lindsay Peterson.” Justin told her.

 

“I’m lost. So Brian knows Gus’s mother, how does it make him Gus’s father?” Daphne asked.

 

“Lindsay ran off after telling Brian she was pregnant with his baby. Add that to the fact that the picture Brian had wasn’t of Gus, but of Brian at the same age. If I didn’t know it was Brian, I’d have believed it was Gus. Is it horrible of me to wish Lindsay lied to Brian about being pregnant?” Justin asked.

 

“What does he plan to do if Gus is his?” Daphne asked.

 

“He said we’d raise Gus together. Only right now he wants to be careful about one of his friend’s seeing Gus. It's just, what happens if Brian and I decide against being in a relationship? I don’t really know him, but for some reason, I feel like I can trust him. Yet, what do we have in common, enough to think we could build a relationship on?” He asked her. 

 

“You don’t know yet, but take a leap of faith. He could have lied to you until he got what he needed to prove Gus was his and then just taken him away from you.” She told him. 

 

“The friend was looking into it for him. He's been trying to find his child for years.” Justin told her. 

 

“Which, if you'd look at it from his side, you'd realize that until he knew there was a reason to believe Gus was his, telling you wasn’t going to do anything but possibly make you leave with Gus. I could understand him wanting to wait before he turned your world upside-down.” She told him. 

 

“How do I explain this to Gus?” Justin asked. 

 

*********************************

 

Brian got to the loft and saw Deb waiting at the door. He really didn’t need her souring his mood, which wasn't going to matter to her. She walked right in and sat down, waiting for him. Brian went to get a drink, but switched to water, since he planned on seeing Gus when he woke up in the morning.

 

“I'm not here to give you shit about Michael.” She told him. 

 

Brian ended up choking when the water when it went down the wrong way. Since when did Deb not beat him over the head with Michael?

 

When he could talk, he trod carefully. “So then why show up this late?” He asked.

 

“I just got off working a late shift, after spending the morning helping the kid Michael hired to run his shop. Apparently, after talking to Will, I felt like I owed you an apology for not seeing what you were trying to tell me. Let's face it when it comes to Michael I always want to believe it couldn't be his fault.” Deb tells him. 

 

“I don't need an apology. Just for you to understand that it's time to let Michael figure things out on his own. I can’t be the answer every time he screws up. It's why I didn’t show up at dinner.” Brian told her, sad that he couldn’t tell her about Gus and Justin yet.

 

“I could use a little help. I'm not asking for money, but to get Ted to look at Michael’s books. Give me a clue about how to help him. I’m not expecting Ted to do anything else.” She asked him. 

 

“Michael refused to show them to Ted,” Brian answered her. 

 

“Then he shouldn’t leave them in an unlocked drawer,” Deb commented, pulling out a messy file and book from her tote.

 

Brian took them from her, worried about what else they would find in them. He wanted to warn Deb, but bringing up anything until he knew for sure might have her protecting Michael, regardless of what he did.

 

“It could take a few days. What are you going to tell Michael if he notices this missing?” Brian asked. 

 

“I doubt he will since he told Will he wouldn't be in until Friday, because of some big thing he's planning.” She told him. 

 

“What's he planning?” Brian asked, already knowing.

 

“That thing with the author he said you were helping him with,” Deb told him.

 

“Only I wasn’t with the author because of Michael. He’s posting flyers about an event without doing what he needs to do in order for the author to agree to it. I never once told him that was what I was doing.” Brian told her, hoping she’ll get it through Michael’s head.

 

“What the hell gave him the idea it was a done deal?” Deb asked, trying not to make Brian think she was blaming him.

 

“He was here watching the loft and saw us going somewhere. I was just showing the guy around.” Brian told her.

 

“This is going to be a disaster. There are tons of kids coming in, excited the guy was coming to the shop.” Deb said, worried.

 

“There’s nothing we can do. The guy doesn’t just do signings without it going through his publisher, which Mikey didn’t do. He just hung flyers, thinking once again I’d save the day.” Brian told her.

 

“Or that I would guilt you into doing it, something I won’t do. Believe it or not, I heard what Emmett said, and doing that to you was wrong of me. I hate that those kids were so excited, but for once Michael will get what he deserves. Let me know what Ted tells you.” Deb asked him, getting up and leaving.

 

Brian called Ted and Reese over, wanting to at least see if there was anything that pointed to Michael. Ted came in, looking in horror at how Mikey kept his books. Reese told Ted to look for transactions where the amounts were unreasonable for the normal running of the shop. 

 

“I’ve been doing this for a while.” Ted reminded him.

 

“We’re trying to connect transfers to the places Lindsay went,” Reese told him.

 

“Why would Michael give her money? His biggest complaint was that she was trying to bleed Brian dry with the kid.” Ted asked.

 

“It’s just a theory I have. Michael wanted Lindsay gone, but would also want to know she stayed away. Michael doesn’t like the idea that she could work her way back into Brian’s life since he wants to be Brian’s life.” Reese answered.

 

“You know him well,” Ted told him.

 

“Not really. Mel had a lot to say about the two of them. She wasn’t happy about Lindsay being brought up but was more than happy to tell me why Brian deserved whatever he got from either of them. Although she did say you never gave either of them a reason to think you wanted anything from them. Which I could tell was hard for her to admit to me.” Reese told them.

 

“I tried to get Mel to call Lindsay, but she said she was done letting Lindsay screw up her life,” Ted told them.

 

“Why did you want Mel to call Lindsay?” Brian asked.

 

“To help you find the baby. But you know Mel’s opinion of you being a father. She refused to get involved, saying her life was finally happy and Lindsay was a chapter that was over for her.” Ted told Brian.

 

Ted got to work, separating the receipts and comparing them to what he was seeing. An hour later he pushed them away, handing Brian his notes for Deb. Ted noted some purchases that were larger than normal, but Ted honestly didn’t know if comic memorabilia went for as much as some of the purchases.

 

“There are a lot of transactions, but most of them are for purchases of memorabilia, expensive shit, but we’d need someone who knows what the stuff goes for to know if it’s something to look at. They were all purchased through private sites.” Ted told them.

 

“I like comics, but not enough that I would know if the amounts are exorbitant,” Reese told them.

 

Brian called Justin to ask if he knew someone who could tell them if the purchases would be normal considering the item. Justin didn’t hesitate to share what he knew after Brian explained why he needed to know.

 

“Depends on if the item is hard to find. Also, what condition it’s in, if the author signed it, those kinds of things. There are originals out there that go for amounts antiques go for. With Rage, the comic is too new and collectors aren’t looking at them because they aren’t rare. But the items you’re talking about are older and harder to find, so yes, he could be paying that much for them. It’s just, in order to get those, he would have to go to a private collector, because they are rare in the comic industry and usually only get sold if the collector is no longer interested in them, or if they found a better copy of them.” Justin told him.

 

“Would anyone know who would have the items?” Reese asked.

 

“Most collectors are willing to show what they have and where they found the items, but not all of them would. If he’s big on bragging, some of those items would be something to show off.” Justin told them.

 

“He hasn’t said anything to me, but he also knows it would piss me off since he keeps asking Brian for money,” Ted told them.

 

“If we could find out whether he really bought the items or not, we could also narrow down if the collector really exists. As if we’re looking at multiple sellers.” Reese told them.

 

“Anybody could set up a site. I’ve done it a few times, using a different name just to get real reactions to what I’m putting out.” Justin told them.

 

“There would also be the problem of locating the money. A site isn’t an address for the person, and in most cases, the money is either charged or sent to whatever address or bank the seller tells them. Most of the purchases don’t really say how he purchased them, which won’t matter unless Michael tries to put them down as a business expense.” Ted told them.

 

“Ted, I don’t care if the IRS goes after Mikey. What I want to know is if he fucked me over, and how he did it.” Brian told him.

 

“If you can send me some of the information, I can have my publisher see what she can find out. She knows a lot of the collectors because they understand what works in comics and what doesn’t.” Justin offered.

 

“I’ll have Reese send them to you, give Gus a kiss and call if you need anything,” Brian told him, hanging up.

 

Ted tried to hide the surprise that Brian actually sounded concerned about Justin. It wasn’t that he couldn’t believe Brian would care about anyone, just that he didn’t normally show it.

 

“Is this about finding Lindsay or the baby?” Ted asked.

 

Brian silently debated what to tell Ted, but in the end knew he would take his secret to the grave, without Brian having to tell him.

 

“I’m pretty sure that Justin’s son is mine,” Brian told Ted.

 

“How?” Ted asked, not wanting this to become another disappointment for Brian if it wasn’t true.

 

“Justin told me the name of Gus’s mother, Lynn Peters. When I showed him the photo of Lindsay, he told me it was Lynn. It gave us a starting point to where she went.” Brian told him.

 

“Why did Justin pretend he was the father?” Ted asked.

 

“Justin IS Gus’s father. Something I don’t intend to change. He’s willing to work with me, and I don’t want anyone making him think I would do anything to change that. He will always be Gus’s father. He’s trying to accept that I want to share Gus with him, which is why I don’t want Mikey anywhere near him. It’s also why I told you to look into opening Kinnetik Chicago. Because being with Gus and Justin is all that matters to me right now. I don’t care where Lindsay is anymore. Because my son, the reason I was looking for her, is being loved by Justin.” Brian said, to both Ted and Reese.

 

“I’m going to suggest we find her, and I can have someone track her. If she stops running away from you, but towards you, it’s better to know.” Reese warned Brian.

 

“I need to find someone who could look into the legal aspects of this. If Lindsay does show up I don’t want her to be able to take Gus from Justin.” Brian told him.

 

“I hate to bring this up, but Mel is the expert on family law,” Ted told Brian.

 

“And I’m the man she pretty much would screw if she could,” Brian answered.

 

“I know you two have issues with each other, but she’s always been honest when it comes to her job. Let me approach her with the situation and see what she thinks your best course of action is. I won’t tell her it’s for you.” Ted told him.

 

Brian agreed and gave Ted what he knew about how Justin ended up with Gus; Lindsay leaving without ever contacting Justin again; and Justin going to court to get custody, sighting abandonment.

 

 

The next day Brian called Ted, telling him Justin wanted to come with him to find out what Mel had to say. Ted picked up Justin after calling Mel to see if she could fit them in. Justin still didn’t understand why Brian thought Lynn… Lindsay would show back up. But Brian knew her better than Justin, and Justin was willing to believe him.

 

 

Mel was happy to see Ted. With her new job, she’d been busy and not had a lot of time for anyone. They’d maintained their friendship, not always agreeing on Brian. There was a time when Ted agreed with Mel, that a lot of her and Lindsay’s problems centered around Lindsay’s dependence on Brian. Only, Ted would point out that it was Lindsay who put that problem in their relationship, by shoving Brian in Mel’s face. 

 

“Hey, how’s Blake doing?” Mel asked, glad to see Ted happy with Blake.

 

“He’s great and wanted to get together with you for dinner sometime. This is Justin, the one who wanted to ask you about something.” Ted told her, trying to figure out how to bring up what Brian needed to know.

 

“Ask, and I’ll help you if I can,” Mel told him.

 

“My son’s mother left him with me, but I’m not the biological father. I went to court to gain sole custody but recently ran into someone who is likely the biological father. Which we plan to prove one way or the other. What I need to know is- what happens if she shows up and doesn’t agree with us raising my… our son together?” Justin asked.

 

“She could overturn your custody since you aren’t the real father,” Mel told Justin.

 

“She abandoned him when he was one, it’s been three years and she’s never once bothered to contact me,” Justin told her.

 

“Is there a reason you think she might show up?” Mel asked.

 

“No, but it’s more wanting to be ready if she does,” Ted told her.

 

“Did she convince you that you were the father?” Mel asked Justin.

 

“She wouldn’t have had any way to convince me, we never slept together. She just put my name on the birth certificate, and since he’d been with me pretty much his whole life, it didn’t matter to me that he wasn’t mine, because he was to me.” Justin told her.

 

“The real father is willing to let you stay in the child’s life?” Mel asked.

 

“He wants us to raise the child together. We haven’t known each other long, but we’re also involved with each other, as more than two fathers.” Justin told her.

 

“When he proves he’s the father, he could take the child from you. Biology matters in most cases. This is going to take a lot of trust on your part. Once he proves he’s the father, you sign over your custody to him. He can then allow you to adopt the child. Only, understand the mother is given the opportunity to contest it. You said she hasn’t contacted you in three years, do you know where she is?” Mel asked.

 

“She didn’t even tell me her real name, and I stayed where she could find us for a year before moving, but we still live in the same city. I have no clue where she is since I didn’t actually know who she was until recently. The real father hasn’t been able to find her either.” He told her.

 

“Once he’s given custody, then you file to adopt the child. You’ll only be required to put an ad in the papers, giving her the chance to know what’s happening. If she doesn’t show up within the ninety days, then the court assumes she didn’t object to the adoption taking place. After that, if she shows up, it won’t matter. If you want, I can prepare the paperwork, so it’s ready when you need it.” Mel told him.

 

“I’ll talk to the father, thanks,” Justin told her.

 

“Just let me know, and good luck,” Mel told him.

 

Ted and Justin were on their way back to Brian and Gus before Justin spoke again.

 

“I'm giving him the power to take Gus from me,” Justin told Ted. 

 

“He doesn’t want that. You need to understand that what you did for Gus by loving him, only makes Brian want you to always be there for Gus. He pretty much made that clear to Reese and me.” Ted told him. 

 

“I don’t know him the way you do,” Justin told him. Trying to explain why he was still having a hard time with what Mel told him.

 

“Let me put it this way. If I was in your situation with Brian, he would be the first person I would trust with the child I loved. He’s never made a promise or told anyone he would do something and not done exactly what he said he would. Also, in your case it’s different, Brian doesn’t just want Gus, but you too.” Ted told him.

 

“That could change, we barely know each other,” Justin told him.

 

“Which makes the fact that he worries about how you’re dealing with the changes that are going to happen, mean more than you know. Brian has never really wanted to pursue anyone more than once, and normally moves on. He’s spent every day since you guys met trying to see you, even before he knew that Gus might be his child.” Ted told him, wanting to assure him.

 

“Daphne told me it was a leap of faith,” Justin told him.

 

“No, it’s a leap where Brian will do anything to make sure you and Gus land safely,” Ted told him.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 11 by starlight

Justin walked in to see Brian and Gus with their heads together. The look on Brian’s face was one Justin knew his face showed every time he looked at Gus. For a moment he was jealous because Gus had already found a place for Brian in his life. Something Gus never shied away from the way Justin did. It was also something Justin was proud of; he didn’t raise his son to be as closed off as he was before Gus came into his life.

 

“How did it go?” Daphne asked, pulling him to the kitchen.

 

“I'd likely lose if she ever showed up, but if Brian has custody she'd have to fight to take Gus. It's biology, it likely wouldn't matter that I'm the only parent Gus knows.” Justin told her. 

 

“What are you going to do?” She asked. 

 

“Take a leap of faith. Something I need to talk to Brian about after we go do what we need to do so Lynn can't just show up and take Gus, not giving a shit if it hurts him. Something she did when she left him on his first birthday.” Justin told her. 

 

“Do you want me to come with you?” She asked. 

 

“Yes. But I need to work this out with Brian, and I hope he's really the man Ted told me about. I need to call and see if we can get an appointment to do what we have to do.” He told her, picking up the phone.

 

Brian kept Gus’s attention on him, willing to wait until Justin was ready to tell him what Mel told him. Gus was explaining to Brian what he and Justin do when they're home and not traveling around.

 

“Wee’s goes to the park a lot cause my friends miss me. I gets to tell them about all the places Dada takes me. I tries not to make them jealous since they don't gets to do what I do. Dada lets me bring them things so they knows I missed them too. But now I can brings you to play with them, like we did at the park here.” Gus said, excited.

 

“We can still get them something too.” He told Gus.

 

“Okay, but Dada says nothing that they couldn't get me.” Gus nodded, leaping off the couch when he saw Justin coming out of the kitchen.

 

Justin held Gus, letting himself soak in the love he never doubted. It gave him the strength to go forward into the unknown with Brian for Gus.

 

“Gus we need to go see a doctor today,” Justin told him. 

 

“Why?” Gus asked since he only went when they were home.

 

Justin smiled down into Gus’s eyes, knowing he needed Gus to understand as much as he could about who Brian could be to him.

 

“Remember when I told you I was your Dada out of love?” He asked. 

 

“Cause Lynn gave me to you, cause you loved me.” Gus nodded, repeating the story Justin told him.

 

“Yep, buddy. Like I told you, it wasn’t me who put you in Lynn’s stomach. We think maybe your Brian did.” He told Gus.

 

“But you’re my Dada.” Gus pointed out.

 

“I know, but Brian would like the chance to be your father too. Only we need to prove he is just in case anything happens.” Justin told him. 

 

“Okay,” Gus said as if he really didn't understand the need when he had already claimed Brian as his.

 

“Can you play with Aunt Daph until we need to go, while I talk to Brian?” Justin asked, letting Gus go when he nodded.

 

Brian was surprised that Gus knew what Justin told him. He actually thought Justin kept it from Gus, but then remembered what Justin told him, that he would lie for Gus, but not to him.

 

“You told him the truth?” Brian asked.

 

“As much as he could understand. It made it easier for him when he asked why we didn’t look alike the way some of his friends did with their parents.” Justin told him.

 

“We don’t have to rush to prove I’m Gus’s father, even though I want to know,” Brian told him.

 

“I need to know if you aren’t that you won’t just walk away from Gus,” Justin told him.

 

“I’m not just here because of Gus,” Brian answered.

 

“If we’d known each other longer then it would be easier for me to understand why you think we could work towards a relationship. Ted told me relationships weren’t really what you did.” Justin told him.

 

“I never have. I also never would have called again or gotten to know you. I trick, not go to the park and play with the tricks kid, or want to spend time with them any way they’ll allow. Gus had nothing to do with why interrupted your lunch with Jen. I didn’t have any idea that he could be mine. I won’t lie to you and say I fell in love with you. I’ll just tell you that one night wasn’t enough. But I will tell you that I have a feeling that with you nothing will ever be enough. This is a new experience for me. To assure you though, even if he isn’t mine, it won’t change that I want to see where this could go between us.” Brian told him.

 

“We both know he is since Lynn is Lindsay and I got to watch as he came out of her.” Justin shuddered, still never being able to unsee that event.

 

“What did Mel tell you?” Brian asked.

 

“Once we have the proof, which will be in three days, then I need to sign over custody to you. Because if Lindsay shows up, she could get custody, because, in reality, I’m no one to Gus.” Justin said, trying to not react to how saying that felt to him. Failing when the tears started to fall.

 

Brian pulled Justin’s head to his chest, hating to see how this hurt him. “You’re everything to him, something that should matter because you’re his father in a way no biological parent could be. He is your son because you loved him, not caring how he became yours. I spent nights drinking away thoughts of what could have become of the baby I couldn’t protect, and you took those nightmares from me. To me, that puts you in a place that not many people get to be in my life; someone who I will do everything I can so I’m never the reason your life is anything but what you want.” Brian told him.

 

“She said you could let me adopt Gus,” Justin told Brian.

 

“Then that’s what we do, for OUR son,” Brian told him, not caring what the test would prove.

 

“How would that work? I might be getting ahead of things, but you live here, we don’t. You can’t just stay with us, you have your work here. And being here makes me worry that eventually if someone is telling Lindsay, they’ll just end up causing us to face the problems sooner.” Justin told him.

 

“I have Ted looking into setting up a satellite office in Chicago, and possibly if it works, an office. I want to be there to see what I missed with Gus. It also gives us time to do what it will take to ensure Lindsay has to work to get answers.” Brian tells him, thinking about where, if Mikey found out anything, he was getting the information. “The more I think about it, I think Mikey would have had a hard time getting any information. I keep the file in my briefcase, which was always with me, normally locked in my car, which no one has the key for. I left it on my desk the night of the dinner because I was working when Jen called and invited me. Until then, Mikey wouldn’t have had any access to the file of information I collected.” 

 

“Why didn’t you include him?” Justin asked.

 

“I didn’t want to hear his opinion, either of Lindsay or my inability to be a father. He went from zero interest in Lindsay to what could be called a betrayed spouse, trying to get rid of anything that didn’t fit into what Mikey dreamed we could be to each other. Something I tried to discourage him from continuing to believe, but likely confused him by always protecting him for his mother.” Brian told Justin.

 

“He just assumed you wanted him?” Justin asked.

 

“I never had a relationship, and when Mikey told the guys to leave me alone, it was what I wanted. As I said, he confused why I did things. It’s like the signing, he arranged it, not bothering to confirm there would be one. He thinks I’ll come through for him like I usually did.” Brian told him.

 

“Did, not will?” Justin asked.

 

“I can’t put him first, Gus has that position, and as we get to know each other Mikey’s stock is falling fast,” Brian answered, kissing him.

 

“We have to be at the clinic I called soon,” Justin told him.

 

“After that, we are going to see Mel and get the paperwork started, and anything else we need to do,” Brian stated.

 

“You don’t sound happy about using her. We can go to someone else.” Justin commented.

 

“In this situation, I want the best, and that’s what she is. She’ll just have to swallow her hatred of me and do her job. Which will be to finally listen with her ears about exactly what Lindsay did to destroy their relationship.” Brian told him.

 

“Plus, Attorney-client privilege will bind her hands if she’s the one who contacted Lindsay. She seemed a lot different than I expected.” Justin told him.

 

“In her job, she isn’t as willing to blindly believe what she wants. With Lindsay, Mel let her emotions cloud anything that pointed to Lindsay doing something that she couldn’t blame me for.” Brian told him.

 

“This is why I avoided people for years,” Justin told him.

 

Gus wasn’t thrilled, thinking tests weren’t fun, but the tech made it into a game and Gus willingly let her swab him, and then laughed when Brian pretended he didn’t want to, but opened wide, closing his eyes like he expected it to hurt. 

 

“You were right Gus, it didn’t hurt.” Brian teased when it was done.

 

“I tolded you,” Gus said like he didn’t get Brian’s doubt.

 

“Where would you like us to send the information?” The tech asked.

 

Justin had Brian give her Kinnetik's address, with Brian adding he wanted it certified and only deliverable to him. Brian and Justin agreed to let Jen come with them to Mel’s office. They explained to Jen everything concerning Gus and how they figured out Brian was likely Gus’s real father. Jen agreed to hold her questions until after they were finished seeing Mel. Jen asked why Brian would want to use Mel when it sounded like her feelings for Brian tended towards jealousy over a wife who treated her badly. Brian’s answer was that ‘she’s the best at this, and it’s what we need to insure everything would hold up against anyone Lindsay could hire.’

 

 Justin called Mel to tell her he wanted to hire her to help with what he told her. Mel was able to fit them in, and Justin got to see exactly how she felt about Brian but watched as her expression changed to sadness when she looked at Gus.

 

“She left him like another casualty in her wake,” Mel told them.

 

“We all were, but this one is one where nothing she could say or do would ever get me to see her as anything but the selfish person she was,” Brian told her.

 

“Something you and Lindsay shared in common,” Mel said, still bitter.

 

“Your opinion of Brian isn’t anything my grandson needs to hear. You just need to understand your job is to help the clients who just pay the fees. I think Gus and I will go get a treat while you talk to the attorney who you said was the best at her job.” Jen said in a calm but stern voice, smiling as she took Gus with her.

 

“Which means she’ll also listen to what really happened, or she can tell her partners why we decided not to work with her and pay the fees they love making. Before you think Ted tricked you into helping me, understand that we both needed to make sure you weren’t the one helping her run from the shit she did.” Brian commented to Mel.

 

“Why do you think she stole from Lynnette? It was because I cut her off in every way. I still ignore her calls here, since she can’t get through to my new number. I would honestly like to tell you to go somewhere else, but I can do my job regardless of how I feel about you.” Mel told him.

 

“Brian and I are asking you to do your job so Gus is protected from the woman who abandoned him with me, a relative stranger to her. She barely bothered to find out anything about me, just left Gus with me as if what she wanted to do was more important. I understand what it’s like to get involved with someone who is only with you for reasons only they get, not because they love you. Brian is willing to put aside how he feels about you, because like he said, you were the person he knew could do the job.” Justin told her.

 

“To clear the air... Lindsay didn’t get pregnant the way she told you. She hired someone who helped her get what she needed. Which the guy admitted to when he thought it would get him another night with me. She left when she could no longer get anyone to help her.” Brian told her.

 

“Have you decided to sign over your custody to Brian?” Mel asked, not responding to what Brian told her.

 

“Yes. And we want to go ahead with the adoption process for Justin. Is there any way to seal the papers?” Brian asked.

 

“Why, if you two intend to share custody?” Mel asked.

 

“Because Lindsay had no idea Justin wasn’t some starving student when she left Gus with him,” Brian told her.

 

“Is there a reason she wouldn’t know?” Mel asked.

 

“We were neighbors who never spoke to each other. Nothing about where we lived said anything but that to her. She didn’t bother to get to know anyone in the building. The few people who interacted with her before she had Gus said she was nice to them but could tell she looked down on them. After Gus was born, that’s exactly how I would describe my relationship with her. I’d dealt with someone before who formed a relationship with me only for what he could get out of me.” Justin told her.

 

“This process is going to take months after Brian gains custody. I will tell you this though, Brian was always good about doing anything he agreed to do.” Mel told Justin, willing to concede the truth she refused to say out loud before.

 

“A new experience. I can actually thank you.” Brian told her.

 

“Where will you be? I have to be in contact with both of you.” Mel told them.

 

“Here and there, just call my cell and I’ll answer you,” Brian told her, holding out his hand to Justin.

 

Mel watched them leave, wondering if she and Lindsay ever were like that at the beginning. She would never have thought Brian had it in him to love anyone.

 

Chapter 12 by starlight

 

Justin laid there quietly, remembering Brian practically devouring him when he opened the door at Daphne's.

 

Justin had forgotten about his mother sitting in the living room with Gus. For a minute everything was about this kiss and the man who was kissing him. When Brian pulled back, Justin saw Brian was as muddled as he was.

 

Brian shook his head trying to remember why he came. "He's ours," Brian said, kissing Justin one more time.

 

"What?" Justin asked, still confused and only wanting to continue the kiss.

 

"He's OUR son," Brian told him.

 

Instead of feeling terrified, Justin found he felt relieved. Brian spent the three days waiting for the test results, not only with Gus but talking about himself and wanting to know everything about Justin. Brian didn't avoid any topic, telling Justin that in order for them to work on a relationship they both needed to know the unfiltered truth about each other. It also helped Justin that his mother's view of Brian, not only from working with him but due to their developing friendship through working together, was great. She really liked the man she knew and told Justin that he'd always been upfront and honest in all their dealings with each other.

 

When they went to tell Jen, Gus, and Daphne, the news was met with smiles and congratulations for the end of Brian's search for his child.

 

"Yous still my Brian," Gus told him.

 

"Your's and Dada's," Brian said, knowing that for him it was the truth.

 

"Why don't we celebrate by having dinner at my house. After that, you and Justin can have an evening together while Molly and I spoil your son. In fact, why not invite the people that wanted to help you, it sounds like they'll be a part of both your lives." Jen tells Brian.

 

Emmett was confused since Brian hadn't said anything. But didn't care when it meant Brian found Gus, and obviously something more, from the way Brian had his eyes on Justin all night. Ted and Blake spent the evening getting to know Justin and listening to everything Gus planned for his Brian. Brian and Justin also explained to Emmett why, for now, they didn't want anyone else knowing about this. But Emmett could already see problems the minute Michael knew about this and didn't see any reason Michael ever really needed to know.

 

"Eventually he will, but we're still not sure he wasn't helping Lindsay take off. I'm not hiding Gus or Justin for any reason other than to make sure they don't have Michael bothering them." Brian tells him.

 

"It helps that he wouldn't know where to find you," Ted tells him.

 

"It wouldn't matter since I took his keys to the loft anyway," Brian said, wanting to spend the night alone with Justin.

 

"Really, and he didn't run all over Liberty Avenue bitching to everyone that he should have a key to your place?" Emmett commented, making everyone laugh.

 

Brian and Justin went to put Gus to bed, and Gus finally asked his question. The one he forgot when everyone started playing with him.

 

"If you's like Dada, what's your name now?" Gus asked.

 

"It's still Brian, Gus. Are you asking what you should call him?" Justin asked.

 

"Uh, my friends don't call their mommies and daddies by their names, just Mommy and Daddy, but he's not a mommy," Gus tells them.

 

"He's a daddy," Justin told him, knowing that sharing Gus meant sharing a title that for Justin changed everything in his world.

 

"Daddy, okay?" Gus asked Brian.

 

Brian let the tears fall at Gus asking him something he never thought would mean something to him. He was Gus's Daddy.

 

"Anything you want, Sonny Boy," Brian told him.

 

When they left the bedroom Brian leaned against the wall, not ready to leave Gus. Justin wrapped his arms around Brian when he wouldn't move.

 

"Even though we were sure, would you like to be the one to read the results?" Brian asked, handing him the envelope.

 

"You didn't read them?" Justin asked.

 

"No. Because what's in there is the only legality. You asked me what I would do if he wasn't mine. I'd do everything we did tonight because I don't care, the same way you didn't." Brian told him.

 

Justin took the envelope, not because he doubted anything, but because what was in there protected Gus. He read the results, kissing Brian before telling him what they already knew.

 

They left and went to the loft, not turning on any lights since they were more interested in getting to the bed. Neither of them was interested in what they knocked over in their rush, they just wanted to be joined together. Brian still made sure Justin was ready for him, no matter how much Justin insisted he was. When Brian entered him, Justin didn't let him go slowly, wanting to feel all of Brian. Brian only slowed down when he didn't want it to end by rushing. When it became too hard to hold back, Brian let Justin stroke himself in time with his thrusts and followed Justin seconds later. Kissing Justin as his body was pulsing from the tightness that wrapped around him with Justin's orgasm.

 

They played in the shower, rummaged through the cabinets, and ended up on the cushion on the floor. Brian then sheathed Justin before giving both of them a new experience. Justin enjoyed letting Brian top him and never really thought about changing it until he felt the sensation of Brian's tight channel gripping him. Brian's reason for not bottoming wasn't tied to being the ultimate top, but to the fact that for him it was a matter of trust. Trust that he never thought he could give to someone. Trust for him was more important than love, but he tested out the possibility that Justin got both from him. While Brian couldn't say he loved him out loud, he could show Justin that for him, letting his blond top him was love. When Brian's phone rang, Justin went to clean up and laid in the bed, only thinking he wanted Brian with him for a long time.

 

Reese was starting to hate one Michael Novotny. Reese thought the man really needed to get a life. Every report he had gotten had Michael circling all of Liberty Avenue, then waiting for hours at Brian's loft. He seemed to miss Brian only by minutes, but Brian's routine changed. Instead of going where he normally went he was spending time with Justin and Gus, at a place Michael had no clue to look. As the reports came in, Reese couldn't see how Michael would even find the time to help Lindsay, since he was so busy stalking Brian. He was starting to think Michael was a dead end as well as clueless when the man didn't even notice Reese's guys following him. They didn't even try to hide it, saying Michael was oblivious to everything.

 

Mel actually came to Reese after Justin and Brian hired her, willing to let him have what he needed from her to prove she had washed her hands of Lindsay. She told him that Brian deserved to know his faith in her wasn't misplaced. Justin's agent, Sandi, was able to confirm most of the sellers existed and helped to narrow it down to ten that she'd never heard of but told him the prices seemed normal for the kind of items that were purchased. Which made sense when Reese located the place Lindsay landed in her most recent run from Brian. He told the guys watching her to follow her without her figuring it out since right now Brian only cared that she didn't show up in Pittsburgh or Chicago.

 

Michael waited until it was the usual time for Babylon and took his place at the bar where he could watch for Brian to make an entrance. Only, after an hour went by, no Brian. He called Brian every fifteen minutes, only to have all his calls go to voicemail. Reese was watching from the bar across from Michael, only, as his people told him, Michael was in his own world. Reese perked up when someone approached Michael and they were deep in a conversation that had Michael no longer staring at the entrance.

 

"Get close enough you can hear what they're talking about," Reese told Frank, who came with him and Sal, wanting someone closer to Michael if he talked to anyone other than the people that seemed to be the only friends Michael had.

 

Michael was happy to see Brent since he kept tabs on Brian for Michael. There were times when Brent was the only way Michael even knew Brian was leaving town, plus he loved Michael's other obsession, Captain Astro.

 

"Hey, I found a Captain Astro Cape signed by the author if you're interested," Brent told Michael.

 

"I'm maxed out until Friday, but I'm definitely interested. Hell, I'd have the money if I had those signed comics the guys were getting for me." Michael told him.

 

"Why not get your best friend to help you?" Brent asked.

 

"I can't get a hold of him. Have you seen him?" Michael asked.

 

"Not really. He's been leaving work early all week, and today he got an envelope marked special delivery and took off smiling about it, not even opening it. Jessica said she thinks Mr Kinney is seriously seeing someone, but you'd know about that wouldn't you? I could see if they have the comics you need so you can buy the cape." Brent told him. No longer having Michael's attention after he heard Brent say Brian was seeing someone.

 

"I need to get going," Michael told him, needing to get someone to tell him it wasn't true.

 

He almost knocked Brent over in his rush to get out of Babylon. Michael was not able to think, just needing to get out of there. Somehow the college guy wormed his way back into Brian's life. He would bang down Ted's door until he told him where to find Brian.

 

"Reese, do you want one of us to follow him and the other follow the guy who just pocketed his keys?" Sal asked when they got back to Reese.

 

"Follow both and find out who the guy is. I've seen him somewhere before." Reese said, not being able to remember where he'd seen the other guy.

 

"Sounds like he works for the client. He was telling Michael about Mr Kinney's movements." Sal tells him.

 

"Trail him. After I get a name we'll run him." Reese told him, pulling out his phone.

 

"Brian, can you come to your loft?" He asked.

 

"Justin and I are already here, we were celebrating together," Brian said, hoping to continue without anybody showing up.

 

"I just need to ask you about someone Michael was talking to. My guy said it sounds like someone who works for you." Reese told him.

 

"We'll be waiting," Brian told him.

 

On his way to Brian's loft, Reese checked in with the guys trailing Michael and was asked if they should interfere when Michael shoved Blake back in order to get in when he refused to let him into his and Ted's apartment. Before he could answer he was told Ted was handling it. Reese called Sal to see where the other guy was going. He was told the guy was near the loft, so he let Sal know not to let him leave until he got there. Pulling up to the loft, Sal was watching the guy trying to use every key on Michael's ring, getting frustrated when none of them were working.

 

"Can we help you?" Reese asked as he and Sal left no way for the guy to get by them.

 

"A friend wanted me to water his plants, but must have given me the wrong key." He told them, trying to find a way around them.

 

"Which friend would that be?" Sal asked, crowding the guy.

 

"Look, I need to get going," Brent said, not liking the way they wouldn't let him by them.

 

"How about we wait for a minute, then you can explain why you have Michael Novotny's keys and seem to be trying to get into your boss's building," Reese told him, pushing on Brian's buzzer.

 

"Brian, we have someone we think you know down here," Reese said when Brian answered.

 

They forced Brent into the building and up the stairs to the open door. Brian was waiting and took a minute to recognize Brent, who'd never really moved up in the company because he was lazy.

 

"Want to explain to us why you have Michael's keys?" Reese asked.

 

"He asked me to come here and water Brian's plants like I told..." Brent, realizing there wasn't a plant in sight, stopped when he knew they weren't going to listen to him.

 

"Why would Mikey ask one of my employees to do anything in MY loft, since he no longer has a key, and I'm obviously a bit plant impaired, Brent?" Brian asked.

 

"What does Brent do at Kinnetik?" Reese asked.

 

"Pretty much was a goffer since it was all he seemed to be able to do, even with his college professors saying he was innovative. The head of my art department just found him to be lazy, and left him as the coffee boy in hopes he'd want to show us there was a reason for all the high praise the professors touted." Brian told him.

 

"Somehow he became friends with Michael, so much that he took his keys to do what?" Reese asked Brent. When Brent had no answer, Reese continued, "Hopefully the cops will be able to tell us, since he was trying to break in your loft, and I have a feeling it wasn't the first time." knowing the cops really couldn't do anything to the guy, but the threat was enough to get Brent talking.

 

"He treats Michael like shit, which everyone but Michael seems to see. No matter that everything you do should make it obvious that you don't give a shit that he loves you. And instead of looking around for someone who could, he still wants you, the biggest whore on Liberty Avenue." Brent told him.

 

"You're in love with Michael and that has something to do with trying to break into my loft?" Brian asked, not getting it.

 

"You deserve it after the way you've treated me and everyone else in your life. Everyone knew I was going places with my art, but the minute I was hired at Kinnetik you and your art director acted like my drawings were only fit to show kindergarteners how not to draw. Then I watched the way you threw Lindsay out like she was trash for only doing what you wanted and having your baby. When she cried to me I wanted to help her and show you what you do to people isn't right." Brent said, looking at Brian like he was the scum of the earth.

 

"Before we get to how Mikey was involved, I have never referred to your work, since I've never seen any of it. I know Murph wouldn't have said anything of that nature since he hires based off a body of work. Which he did say was impressive, only that you had a hard time being told what to draw, wanting to change it to what you wanted, not the concept we came up with. After a couple of months you didn't even try to do the work, so Murph was letting you work off your contract with us. Which is just about up, and overpaid for the job you were hired to do. Where did you get the idea I even said that?" Brian asked, trying to keep from letting his anger get the better of him.

 

"Lindsay told me. And why wouldn't I believe her? She was your best friend until you threw her out for giving you the baby you demanded. The same way you run around demanding everyone do what you want, no matter what they have planned." Brent told him.

 

"Being able to demand things is at Kinnetik a perk of owning my business and not something I would discuss with Lindsay, Michael, or anyone uninvolved with the running of it. So you've been spying on me for Lindsay? Where's the baby, Brent?" Brian asked, deciding to see what Lindsay told him.

 

"She left him with a friend to keep him away from you. She said you'd take him out of spite and cut her off from him. So I told her whenever you found out where she was, so you'd keep you chasing her while her baby stayed safe from a father like you." He told Brian.

 

"Mikey wasn't helping you?" Reese asked.

 

"I hate that name, it's disrespectful to Michael. He didn't know anything about what was going on. Even if he did, the way he talked about Lindsay wouldn't have had him wanting to help her. At first, I was just using him to hear if you found out anything about Lindsay when she first left, since all the information you were getting didn't say you did. But I couldn't help but fall in love with him. I felt like shit using anything he told me, but in a way, I felt justified, since you've fucked up his life by leading him on. Every time he got in a bind, there you were, like a hero to rescue him. He didn't even see I was there and would have done anything for him. Even his mother turned to you, spouting to anyone listening about how you always took care of Michael. It's like no one saw anything but Brian Kinney the great success of everything. Not how shitty of a friend you really are." Brent told him.

 

"You were reading my mail?" Brian asked.

 

"Only the ones when the detective you hired sent a monthly report with his statement. It wasn't until after the baby was born that you finally found her. After that, I let her know before you got the information." He told Brian.

 

"Why tell me now?" Brian asked.

 

"She said she's got a way to fight you without my help." He smiles smugly.

 

"Then why are you here?" Reese asked.

 

"To be Michael's hero and get the comics Brian never gave him," Brent told them.

 

"Sorry to tell you, hero, but we never got them signed. And by the way, maybe Mikey can give you a job. Consider yourself fired for breach of contract, which means you owe Kinnetik every cent you were paid from the minute you first divulged private information to someone outside of Kinnetik. " Brian told him.

 

"I didn't sell company secrets," Brent told him.

 

"Confidentiality covered anything you read or saw inside the walls of my building. Lucky for me, not for you." Brian told him, opening his door and letting Brent run out.

 

"I'll see what I can find out about what Lindsay's doing. Do you want me to keep following Michael?" Reese asked.

 

"Why waste the time, tomorrow he's going to be mobbed and likely rioted, let him," Brian told him.

 

Ted wasn't thinking anything but that going to jail didn't bother him when Michael shoved Blake. He honestly didn't hear a word. The minute Michael got near him, everything was a reaction to him, and he didn't even feel his fist connect with Michael's nose.

 

"Shit Babe, are you okay?" Blake asked, looking at his hand.

 

"He hit me!" Michael yelled.

 

"You put your hands on Blake. What the fuck did you expect?" Ted shouted.

 

"I came here to tell you we need to do something about Brian, and he wouldn't let me in," Michael said, getting angry that no one was trying to help him.

 

"What do you mean we have to do something about Brian?" Blake asked.

 

"Someone said... and the guy from college was with him... but Brian wouldn't do that to me." Michael just couldn't find a way to say it.

 

"I don't give a fuck what anyone said, some guy, or what you want to believe Brian would do to you," Ted told him.

 

"He's seeing someone, don't you understand?" Michael asked them, not making any sense if they hadn't just had dinner with Justin and Brian.

 

"Back up. What was some guy in college?" Blake asked.

 

"The other day a guy who Brian used to hang out with, a guy he never brought around me, was with him. The guy had all Brian's attention, the way he did at college. Brian used to skip out on things with me because they had a game, according to him. But I saw them when they were near each other always hugging and smiling at each other." Michael told them.

 

"After the game, or just walking around?" Blake asked, not getting why he even cared since Michael was way off track.

 

"After the game, but now he's back and I will not have him fucking up my relationship with Brian again. It's already started since Brian hasn't called me or even bothered to see me in the last week." Michael told them.

 

"When you have a relationship, friends really aren't as important as they once were. Now get out and don't ever show up here again thinking you can shove Blake because something is wrong in your world. Next time I'll break every bone in your body." Ted told him.

 

Blake stood wide-eyed at this version of his Ted, the mild-mannered accountant was nowhere to be found. Michael left, hoping he had a bruise or something to show Brian what Ted did to him. It would at least have Brian doing what he always did, protecting him.






 

Chapter 13 by starlight

After Ted slammed the door in Michael’s face, Michael went the only place he could think of, Brian’s loft. The lights were all off, and since he no longer had the key, he planned to sit on the steps until Brian showed up. He was almost to the front of the building when the guy came out talking on his phone. Michael decided to face his nemesis.

 

Reese stood outside talking to Sal, who had let him know Michael was headed his way, and from the sound of it would ruin Justin and Brian’s time together. Reese stayed in the building until Sal let him know Michael was close enough and then walked out on his phone. He decided to head over to Babylon, hoping Michael would leave, thinking Brian wasn’t home. What Reese didn’t understand about Michael was that the man didn’t get that Brian wasn’t going to be anything that he wished for. Michael wasn’t bad looking, not that Reese cared about him, but the idea of chasing after a guy for half your life just didn’t make any sense to him. Yes, at one time he wouldn’t have said no if Brian had wanted more, but when he realized Brian wasn’t going to slow down, Reese accepted his place as a friend and moved on. He might not be in a relationship, but seeing Brian and Justin together told him eventually he hoped to find someone he could look at the way Brian looked at Justin. Of course, Michael hadn’t even clued in to the fact that there was something different about Brian. And even though Reese hadn’t seen Brian in years, he knew the minute Brian was practically ready to kick his ass for even questioning Justin’s reasons for having Gus. He was happy for Brian, not only for finding his son but for opening his life to Justin, in only a few short days. 

 

Babylon was going strong, and Michael was still following him. He really didn’t know much about Michael, other than what he’d been able to glean from the others. When he and Brian were in college, Brian kept Michael away from him. It was likely Brian knew Michael would have a problem with him, not that Reese would have given a shit, but it was the way Brian seemed to deal with his college life versus his outside of college life. 

 

At the bar, Reese ordered a beer and stood around, waiting to see what Michael would do. He should have called Brian to warn him not to come here, but he doubted Brian had any plans to be anywhere but with Justin tonight. At first, Michael stood at the bar across the room, glaring at him. Michael wasn’t sure how to approach the guy who was trying to rekindle whatever he thought Brian and he had. Michael spotted Emmett coming in the door and decided at least he could get Emmett to stand with him while he explained the facts to the guy. Only Emmett went straight to the bar, almost standing next to the guy and all but ignoring Michael. Which Michael thought would work, because at least Emmett would back him up when he explained the rules of Brian Kinney to the guy.

 

Emmett was standing at the bar getting his drink, toasting to Teddy for showing Blake what was underneath the mild-mannered accountant. Also, he really didn’t want to stay around when it was obvious Blake wanted to show Teddy some appreciation for the way he handled Michael. Something Emmett was sure to hear all about later, but really wanted to come and dance his feet off tonight. He ordered a cosmo, looked around and realized he should have just danced at his apartment tonight when Michael came charging over. I mean seriously, he just wanted to get his groove on, not listen to Michael make his ears bleed at whatever crime Teddy committed for defending his man. Only Michael was headed to the guy a few feet away, and Emmett groaned when the speech started.

 

“We need to talk and you need to listen because whatever it was that you think you and Brian could have, won’t happen. Once he’s had you, you leave. Not come back years later thinking he might bother with you again. I’m only telling you this because Brian hates to be bothered and I’m the one who handles it for him.” Michael told the guy.

 

“Which I’m sure you think you do. But from what I know, Brian has no problem telling people what he wants them to know.” Reese told him, not quite sure why Michael was warning him off of Brian.

 

“You obviously didn’t understand him then, because you keep showing up looking for Brian. I saw you at the loft.” Michael told him.

 

“Then you followed me here. Am I supposed to run crying because Brian Kinney doesn’t want me? Is that how you handle it since he never wanted you?” Reese asked.

 

“You think because you were his piece of ass at college that you know anything! I’ve always been in his life, no matter who else he fucked.” Michael yelled loud enough that the whole bar was now watching him.

 

“No. I think you’re living in some fantasy world where you want to believe Brian is fucking other men because he loves you. Sorry, but usually it doesn’t work like that in the real world.” Reese told him, getting now that Michael thinks it’s him that was keeping Brian away from Michael.

 

“Just stay away from Brian, or you’ll find out who’s important to him,” Michael warned, walking to Emmett and standing next to him.

 

Emmett looked over at the guy and then to Michael, not really getting any of it. He’d never even seen the guy before, and lately, the only person Brian was with was Justin. He waited because he really just wanted to ruin his night with Michael’s rants anyway.

 

“Why don’t they get it? Brian doesn't do relationships.” Michael told Emmett, sending glares over to the hunk who seemed to think it was funny.

 

“Likely because you haven’t figured it out. Brian doesn’t do relationships with you.” Emmett mumbled.

 

“Have you seen Brian? A friend of mine said he took off from work today, but he hasn’t called me. He needs to make sure the author is at my shop tomorrow.” Michael told Emmett.

 

“So you’ve called the publisher?” Emmett asked.

 

“Why would I do that? I told Brian what I expected.” Michael asked, confused.

 

“I don’t know Michael, but usually making sure the author agreed should have been at the top of your list, before you plastered Liberty Avenue with flyers. What are you going to do tomorrow if it’s just you and a mob?” Emmett asked him.

 

“I need to go find Brian.” Michael’s answer to everything, and likely his doom.

 

Emmett texted Brian as Michael ran out of Babylon, worried that Michael would ruin the evening Brian seemed to want with Justin.

 

“How did Brian deal with him?” Reese asked, sliding up next to Emmett.

 

“Honey, it’s the question we ask every day. By the way, I’m Emmett.” 

 

“I know since Brian mentioned you,” Reese told him.

 

“He’s never mentioned you,” Emmett told him, flirting.

 

“We went to college together, and recently he asked me to help with Gus,” Reese told him.

 

“Oh.” Emmett sighs, disappointed.

 

“What was with the sighing?” Reese asked.

 

“I have this thing about no degrees of separation,” Emmett told him.

 

“As in?” Reese asked.

 

“As in you and Brian,” Emmett told him.

 

“So you want to play soccer with me but can’t because Brian and I were once on the same soccer team?” Reese asked, teasing him.

 

“Is that what you call it?” Emmett asked.

 

“Yeah, since we kicked a ball back and forth at each other. No other balls but soccer balls.” Reese told him.

 

“Want to dance?” Emmett asked, smiling.

 

**************************

 

Justin was sound asleep, something Brian wished he could be right now. Leaving Justin in bed, he went to the living room. He didn’t like what Brent implied, that Lindsay had a plan of some kind. It was more important than ever to make sure she couldn’t touch Gus. Or take the smile that Brian loved off Justin’s face.

 

Justin woke up looking for Brian, hearing him in another room. He got up and found Brian sitting on the sofa staring out the window. He sat next to Brian, who lifted his arm and wrapped it around Justin.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t like not knowing,” Brian told him.

 

“Gus and I could go ahead and go back to Chicago. It’s not like she even knows that you found Gus.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want you and Gus somewhere without me,” Brian told him.

 

“Strangely enough, I hate the idea of being away from you too,” Justin whispered.

 

Brian leaned down to kiss Justin, wondering how, in barely a week, Justin had become everything Brian didn’t think he would ever want. The phone started ringing, and when the answering machine picked up, Brian groaned at Mikey’s whining voice, demanding Brian call him. Justin got up and looked out the window to see Michael pacing up and down the sidewalk ranting. Which was cut off by the machine, only to begin again when Michael called back.

 

“Are you going to talk to him?” Justin asked when the answering machine cut off and the phone started up again.

 

“How about we silence the phone, disconnect the answering machine, and go back to bed,” Brian told him, going to do just that.

 

“Briiiian... we need to talk. Make sure you make time when the author…”

 

“He’s sitting on the steps,” Justin told Brian, walking away from the window.

 

“Tomorrow he'll be wishing he never depended on me to do anything for him. Tonight is for us and no one else.” Brian told his blond. 

 

****************************

 

Michael got up after a couple of hours, not understanding why Brian seemed to be missing lately. It didn’t matter, because tomorrow Brian would be there and Michael would make him take time out of his busy schedule to talk to him. It wasn’t until he got home that he realized he didn’t have his keys. Could this night get any worse? He called his mother, but she told him she was busy and that his keys were at her house. If he wanted them he’d need to get her keys and go to her house to get them. Then if that wasn’t bad enough, she expected him to deliver her keys back to her. If Brian had been home Michael could have had him drive him to get his keys.

 

“Michael,” Brent called out, getting out of his car as Michael was still debating what to do since Brian’s phone went straight to voicemail.

 

“Hey, what are you doing out here?” Michael asked, thinking at least Brent could drive him. 

 

“Having the worst night of my life. But now it’s getting better.” Brent told him, moving until he was practically on top of Michael.

 

“I lost my keys and I could use a ride if you wouldn’t mind,” Michael told him, backing up.

 

“I have them, could we go in and talk? I might need your help.” Brent told him, handing him the keys.

 

“Sure. So what happened after I last saw you?” Michael asked, unlocking his door and trying to figure out how Brent got his keys.

 

“I need to explain some things to you, and hopefully you’ll see it the way I do,” Brent said, sitting as close as he could get to Michael when Michael sat on the couch.

 

Michael shifted away, wondering why Brent was invading his space, but it only made Brent move closer. Finally, Michael got up and sat on the chair next to the couch, hoping Brent got the hint.

 

“So what did you need to explain?” Michael asked.

 

“Just understand, I did everything for you, okay? Remember when Mr Kinney’s other friend Lindsay was here?” He asked.

 

“She is not his friend after what she did,” Michael told him.

 

“He really wasn’t a friend to her either. But it’s sort of where I need to start so you can understand what happened and why I did the things I was doing. I don’t want you to think I was using you, even if in the beginning I was. I got to know Lindsay after Brian started treating her like crap for only doing what he wanted. Something I understood because of the way he treats people at work for only doing what he asks. When she told me Brian ruined her marriage and told her he didn’t even want the baby she agreed to have with him, I felt horrible for her and wished I could help her. She came to me when everyone was trying to run her out of town and I let her know if she needed a friend I’d be here for her. I didn’t hear from her for almost a year, then she asked me to just let her know if Brian mentioned her. Which he didn’t. But I worked in the mailroom, so I got the incoming mail and sorted it. Then I noticed he was getting mail from a detective. I opened one and then I called Lindsay to tell her he was looking but hadn’t found her or the baby. After that, we kept in touch, and when the detective would find where she was, I let her know so she could get away from him. She told me she wouldn’t let Brian near the baby he threw her out over. And in truth, seeing him out I agreed no child should be around him.” Brent told him.

 

“At least you kept her from foisting her brat off on Brian,” Michael told him.

 

“How can you say that? She only wanted to protect her baby from Brian.” Brent asked him.

 

“Then she shouldn’t have tricked him into giving her the baby she ran around begging him for. Brian knew it wouldn’t be something I would be happy about.” Michael said, really talking to himself.

 

“Whatever. But see, she eventually asked about you and if you still had the keys to Brian’s place. Which I told her you did, after following you one day and seeing you go in the loft when Brian wasn’t there. She wanted me to see if Brian had any more information. So I managed to get your keys and check for her. Which sounds really bad, but at the time I didn’t know how I would feel about you, and only wanted to help her. Only, as I got to know you, I didn’t like the way I felt like I was betraying you. So I told her last week that I couldn’t keep doing what I was doing to you, and she told me she didn’t need my help anymore. So tonight, I wanted to prove to you how much you mean to me and took your keys one more time. I wanted to get the comics for you, but I ended up getting fired when Brian and his henchman caught me. He’s threatening to sue me for all my earnings for breach of the confidentiality clause we all signed. I need you to tell him not to.” Brent told him.

 

“Why would I do that? You fucked up and expect help from me? The fact that you kept Lindsay away is the only thing you did I could agree with.” Michael told him, pissed that Brent got to see Brian tonight.

 

“He treats you like an annoying child, the name Mikey says it all. Can’t you see I could be so much better for you and would treat you like a prince?.” Brent asked him.

 

“Are you saying you think we could be in a relationship?” Michael asked, trying to figure out why Brent would think he would want anyone but Brian.

 

“We have a lot in common, why wouldn’t we try?” Brent asked.

 

“Because you mean nothing to me. Well, not nothing, but I just don’t see you that way. There is really only one person I want. I’m flattered, but when Brian is ready for us, I want to be available to him and only him.” Michael told him, breaking it as nicely as he could.

 

“He’s a bastard. He treats you like garbage and you’d rather wait for him? I’m here, willing to give you what you want.” Brent told him.

 

“Which has always been and will always be Brian,” Michael said once again, dreaming about the day Brian would be his.

 

Brent sat there wondering how Michael was so blinded by Brian Fucking Kinney. Brent had lost everything, but knew eventually Michael would see that he was the one for him. He got up to leave, not giving up on Michael, but willing to wait until he figured out that what Brent could give him was what he really wanted.

 

“Do you know if Brian is still at the loft?” Michael asked as Brent went out the door. Brent’s shoulders slumped when it seemed Brian was the only thing Michael cared about for now.

 

**********************************

 

Justin and Brian needed to get up early to meet with Mel. With Justin willingly signing over custody, Mel was able to get it in front of a judge faster. They ended up having to leave the loft in the middle of the night by the back door when Michael showed up four times waking them up with the buzzer. 

 

Gus was thrilled to find them sleeping on the sofa in the living room at his grandmother's in the morning and got her and his Aunt Molly to help him make them breakfast. Jen made plans to take Gus with her when Mel called Brian and Justin to let them know it was time to meet her at the courthouse.

 

Justin looked through the paperwork, knowing he agreed to sign it, but hating that Gus’s life was determined by signing him away to Brian. Mel explained to the judge what they wanted to do.

 

“I have one question before I sign this.” The judge commented.

 

“If I’m reading this right, eventually you want Justin to adopt Gus, is there a reason for that?” He asked.

 

“They both want to make sure my ex-partner can’t use Gus for any reason,” Mel told him.

 

“How long has it been since she’s been in contact with Gus?” The judge asked.

 

“She left on his first birthday. That was the last time I saw or heard from her. I didn’t even know her real name.” Justin told him.

 

“But you fought for custody of a child that wasn’t yours?” The judge asked, wanting to understand why they were pushing this through.

 

“The only way he’s not mine is biologically.” Justin told him.

 

“By signing this you’ll be at the mercy of Mr Kinney.” He told Justin.

 

“We plan to raise him together. It’s why we want him to adopt Gus.” Brian told the judge.

 

“Is there a reason you think the mother would be a problem? She’s been gone for so many years.” The judge asked.

 

“Lindsay was always very possessive of Brian. Throughout the time we were together, she did little things to make sure he was still in her life. But nothing as bad as when she tricked him into having a baby. She didn’t care that what she did ruined our relationship. She just assumed that Brian would once again help her out of what she did, by lying to everyone for her. I fell for it, but at that point, I only wanted to get away from her and tossed her out. She ended up stealing money from her sister and taking off. She left the baby with Justin, which I think was so she could make Brian pay for not giving in to her again. Eventually, she’ll want to come back, just to force Brian to give her what she wants from him, which doesn’t have anything to do with Gus.” Mel told him.

 

“What does she want?” Justin asked.

 

“All the things that with Brian being gay wouldn’t be possible,” Mel admitted.

 

“Let’s hope she doesn’t show up when you adopt Gus.” The judge said, signing off and wondering how these people ended up with someone like the mother in their lives.

 

Chapter 14 by starlight

Michael was inside the locked shop, smiling as people were lining up early for the signing. He let himself worry a little when he still couldn’t get a hold of Brian or anyone else. He expected his mother or Will to be there, but they both left messages that they were taking the night off. He’d called Ted and Emmett, leaving messages about wanting them to help run the shop while Justin Cole signed the merchandise the kids waiting outside could only get autographed if they bought it from his store. He planned to be at the door, collecting anything that they brought with them to be signed and explaining that they were required to purchase his items. If the guys didn’t help him, it would be a nightmare to control everyone. Michael looked at his watch, and with two hours left before the signing he’d scheduled, decided to open the doors and let them in. He would explain they only had an hour to purchase something if they wanted it signed, and if they didn’t purchase anything they wouldn’t get a chance to talk to Justin Cole.

 

As the kids got up and crowded the door to his shop, Michael made the announcement.

 

“The only items that will be signed are items you purchase here. I’ll be closing again in an hour in order to arrange the tables for the signing. When we reopen, if you haven’t purchased what you want to be signed, I’ll have to turn you away for the people who bought something. Also, the bigger the purchase also means the closer you get to the front of the line.” Michael told them.

 

“So we have to buy it here, and even though my friends and I got here first it doesn’t matter. That’s bullshit.” A kid scowled.

 

“Only if you don’t outspend the rest,” Michael told him.

 

A few kids left, but the rest wanted to meet the author, so they started buying out the Rage items, which Michael didn’t stock up on for this, assuming the author would bring more things that Michael would tell him he’d pass out while collecting money for them. As far as Michael was concerned, Justin Cole would owe him a fee for letting him use his shop. He started inflating the prices on the final items, telling them that he would also make sure they could stick around after the signing and talk to the author personally. Michael thought that if only Brian and Ted could see this they’d see Michael wasn’t playing, the way they were always bitching at him about. He’d show them the receipts, that made a regular month look like pocket money, and wait as each one apologized for ever doubting him. Now if only Brian would deliver on his promise. Well, what Michael had decided was a promise.

 

An hour before the time Michael had posted the signing for, he started to worry when no one showed up. As time drew closer he started mass calling. Not just Brian, but Emmett, Ted, Blake, and Deb. No one answered him. Watching the clock get closer and closer to the scheduled time only had him sweating and panicking, because the people outside kept starring in the shop, only seeing Michael standing there. Michael didn’t know what to do when ten minutes passed after the scheduled time and there was no one around but the people getting angry outside. After another twenty minutes, the fans were banging on the door, telling Michael to open it. Michael realized how pissed they’d be after he made them spend money for the privilege of being first. He called everyone again, still only getting voicemails, and wishing he’d told Brian to give him Justin’s contact information. Which gave Michael an idea. He opened the door looking let down and waited until the line stood in front of him and did what he did best.

 

“I guess Justin Cole didn’t care enough to be here,” Michael said, sounding let down for the fans.

 

For a minute it seemed like they believed Michael’s lie. But then, they all wanted refunds. And when Michael tried to tell them all sales were final, it was a madhouse. The kids started destroying everything, one opened Michael’s ancient register and handed out the money people spent, tearing up receipts. Michael ended up hiding in a closet when they turned on him for wasting their time. Michael pulled out his cell phone, planning to call the police to get everyone out of his store, but had drained the battery calling everyone when Justin Cole didn’t show up. An hour later, everything was quiet and Michael finally opened the door, blowing out a breath when no one was standing there waiting for him. He ventured out in the front and couldn’t believe what he saw, everything was trashed, including all the collectibles he kept, not willing to sell them. When the police arrived it was to tell Michael he could claim it on insurance but since he wasn’t able to say who did what, there was nothing they could do but file a report for him. Michael called the insurance company, only to find out they wouldn’t be able to replace the collectibles since he never insured them, and his deductible would leave them only paying barely enough to replace a quarter of the items in his shop. He cursed Ted for not making him take out the bigger policy that he told him he should get, but at the time he’d wanted a Captain Astro one of a kind lair. After the cops left, Michael locked up the shop, going to find out why Brian let this happen to him.

 

******************************

 

Lindsay was sitting in her new home, with a man old enough to be her grandfather. She’d managed to get Randolph to put a diamond on her finger. One that not only would her sister but her mother be envious of her having. Randolph fought off his family, who all thought Lindsay was a gold digging whore and declared she was the woman of his dreams. What they didn’t understand was that while Lindsay might not love Randolph, she planned to be everything he wanted her to be. He gave her what no one ever did, putting her first in every way. She didn’t even bat an eyelash at the prenup the family made Randolph agree to since he set aside a nice sum for her. She even told him the lie about her past, not really worried because Randolph adored her. Randolph planned to bring Lindsay back to Pittsburgh in style, along with the lawyers who would get Gus back for her. Lindsay wanted Brian to have to beg her for a minute of her time. And planned to make him regret tossing her out pregnant. She cried on Randolph’s shoulder about leaving Gus but assured him she made sure the child was being taken care of. She lied through her teeth about the guy she left Gus with, making him sound like a hero for helping her. 

 

Her first mistake was when Randolph wanted to talk to Justin about the situation. Lindsay tried to stall him, saying Justin wasn’t home, but then admitted she really hadn’t bothered to stay in contact with him. Which was something Randolph found upsetting because even though his family was at odds over Lindsay, they were still close. Lindsay managed to come up with a reason, saying she wanted to protect Gus by leading Brian away from him. For days Randolph said nothing about it, but eventually, he contacted his son and asked him to look into this Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor. What he got back only made him question his hasty choice of marrying Lindsay. It wasn’t Brian Kinney that had him questioning anything, it was Justin Taylor. Who Lindsay described as a down on his luck, barely making it, student. Saying that he only took Gus because she was paying for everything. She did get the part about him loving Gus correct. Since the fortune Justin Cole Taylor inherited had been put aside for the child that he had gone to great lengths to declare as his child. He waited to read about Brian Kinney because he knew once he did, the woman he thought he married would become the woman his son and daughter tried to warn him about. While Brian’s past was colorful, it was nothing any single man hadn’t done, gay or straight. He was a leader in Advertising, owning his own firm, and apparently now the legal father of Gus Taylor-Kinney. Randolph knew he needed to convince Lindsay to do right by the child. He wasn’t fooled that what they had was anything more than a convenient arrangement for Lindsay. He wasn’t looking for love, just companionship in his old age. Lindsay gave him that, even with all her pretty little lies. He picked up the phone, wanting to do what was right for the child that Lindsay had abandoned. 

 

Brian left Justin and Gus at home to tie up anything he needed to before they left for Chicago. As he drove he realized that he no longer felt home here, and the thought of starting in a new place with his son and Justin was the reason. He smiled when Cynthia was standing in the lobby, happier than he’d ever seen her, and when she saw him she looked at him strangely.

 

“Something is different about you,” Cynthia told him.

 

“I found my son.” He told her.

 

“How? When? Why didn’t you call me?” Cynthia asked, grabbing Brian in a hug. Not caring if he wanted her touching him.

 

“Strange as it sounds, Mikey led me to him.” He told her, as they headed toward his office.

 

“At least he’s useful for something. Which is something I’ve spent years trying to figure out. Sit down and tell me.” Cynthia told him, excited for him.

 

Brian sat, watching Cynthia being excited about his search being over, and wondered why he never really thought of her as anything but his right hand. In truth, she was the friend who stood up to him, fought next to him, and never once acted like everything in his life was her business. It wasn’t like she didn’t know everything, but she didn’t push him unless she believed it was something he needed, and when she did was usually right.

 

Brian told her all about Justin and Gus, and she watched her boss become softer as he talked about both of them. When he told her his plans to start setting up an office in Chicago, she planned to make sure nothing got in the way of the happiness Brian seemed to have found. Not only in the son he’d spent years searching for, but in the man who managed to catch the heart of Brian Kinney. 

 

Cynthia barely contained her surprise when Jessica came in with coffee for both of them and smiled at Brian. Not a tear in sight or the running from the room that Cynthia had witnessed in all their dealings. Jessica left after giving Brian his messages, with a confidence Cynthia had yet to see in her.

 

“Marry the guy.” Cynthia joked as the phone rang.

 

“Mr Kinney, line two wouldn’t say who it was but only that it was important,” Jessica said, opening the door.

 

Cynthia sat there watching Brian’s smile leave his lips and be replaced with a frown as he let the person talk to him. Brian hung up looking worried, something that alarmed Cynthia because Brian wasn’t one to worry, but to do something to deal with his problems. She didn’t get to ask him what was going on because the door burst open and Jessica came flying in, yelling for the idiot to stop. Something only Cynthia had ever been capable of doing and decided to show Jessica just how it was done.

 

“OUT. We have a business to run and none of it concerns you and your petty little problems.” Cynthia said, standing in front of Brian’s desk, blocking Michael.

 

“My fucking store was robbed,” Michael told her.

 

“Then call 911, because that’s how it works,” Brian said, surprising Cynthia at his harsh tone.

 

“You promised to bring the author, and because you didn’t, I got robbed,” Michael whined, in the tone Cynthia compared to nails on a chalkboard.

 

“No. Once again, you thought Mikey wants it and Brian would be at your beck and call. Well, you finally got what you deserve, for expecting Brian to drop his life for you.” Deb said, walking in. Cynthia wondered if she was still asleep, or if she had woken up in the wrong universe.

 

“Maaa... He promised me, and now I’ve lost everything.” Mikey whined to her.

 

“You were going to anyway. You haven’t spent a minute in your shop, taking off and hanging flyers like the author would just magically drop out of the sky. I checked with the publisher, who isn’t happy with what you did, or with the article in the newspaper that made it sound like the author let his fans down. Since, according to her, Justin Cole never even agreed to what you promised the people outside the store. I can’t believe you actually made them pay in order to meet the author!” Deb shouted.

 

“I made them buy merchandise. And then they stole my collectibles, the ones I looked for years for and put them in the shop so people could see that I had them!” Michael told her.

 

Deb shook her head at Brian, who was about to comment about said collectibles and the reason Mikey said he kept buying them, which was to profit from them.

 

“Actually I sold them two days ago and paid off all your bills. In fact, you still have enough left to pay the deductible for the shop and start again. Only this time you’re going to be the one running it, not Brian or his bank account. I’ve already talked to Ted, and between us, we are going to show you exactly how to work, not play.” Deb told him, yanking him by the ear out of Brian’s office.

 

Ted walked in barely awake, moving aside as Deb took Michael out the door. He went straight to the sofa and laid down, looking as tired as Brian was after the marathon Justin and he decided to have after putting Gus to bed.

 

“So, I’m going to be busy. I told Deb I’d help her. And you want everything set up for Chicago, which, just to let you know, I managed to scout a few places out after calling Jen in to help. I called a few clients who live close to Chicago and they told me to let you know they have some other businesses that will be happy to use us now that we’re no longer only in Pittsburgh. Now it’s someone else’s turn while I take a nap.” Ted told him.

 

“When do I tell my husband we’ll be moving?” Cynthia asked, not waiting for an answer but calling Jen to look at houses for her.

 

“Blake said he wouldn’t mind living between both cities,” Ted told him.

 

“I’m just planning a small office for now,” Brian told them.

 

“Tell that to the clients who are waiting for Kinnetik, Chicago. I’m serious. After you mentioned it, I called some people just to see what we had to look forward to in a new place. What I got was people asking when you planned to have the office up and running. They want you, and guess what else... the publisher for Rage and a lot of best selling comics called this morning to ask for a meeting.” Ted told him, excited.

 

Brian ignored Ted and dialed Justin. He might love the man, but he didn’t want people handing him things. Brian held the phone to his ear and realized what he just thought. When Justin answered it took him a minute to remember he needed to tell Justin something else.

 

“Brian, are you there?” Justin asked.

 

“Sorry. Did you tell your publisher about me?” Brian asked.

 

“No. Why would I? I don’t normally share my personal life with anyone.” Justin told him.

 

“She wants to use my firm,” Brian told him.

 

“Okay, but it’s not really my area. I draw the shit, she does all the other stuff.” Justin told him.

 

“Nevermind. It’s been a long morning without you and Gus. I got a call from Lindsay’s new husband. He wants to meet with you and me alone. He said he had questions before he was willing to explain why he wanted to meet us.” Brian told him.

 

“Do you think she’s trying to get Gus?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t know, but we don’t have to talk to him. Although it’s easier to know what we’re dealing with if we know who we’re dealing with. He sounded more worried about Gus than Lindsay.” Brian told him.

 

“When?” Justin asked.

 

“He said he could be here by tomorrow and that he wouldn’t bring Lindsay with him. He wants to hear your side of what happened.” Brian told him.

 

“Do you know who he is?” Justin asked.

 

“Randolph Williams. But other than that, no.” Brian told Justin.

 

“Who?” Ted asked.

 

“Randolph Williams,” Brian told him.

 

“She struck oil. And I do mean oil.” Ted told him.

 

“How do you know?” Brian asked.

 

“It was on the news, the entertainment section, which Blake watches, which means I watch too. The bride’s name wasn’t published, just that Randolph Sr married a trophy wife and the family wasn’t happy about it. He went out of his way to keep the wife’s name out of it. Something he’s famous for, not liking the press.” Ted told him.

 

Brian told Justin he’d call back later. Then called Reese to ask him why he didn’t know about it, but instead got Emmett. Looking at the number, he knew he dialed Reese.

 

“Put Reese on the phone,” Brian ordered Emmett.

 

“Um, why would I do that?” Emmett asked, not wanting to admit he once again threw out all his morals, such as they were, for an eight pack.

 

“Because you answered HIS phone,” Brian informed him.

 

“Shit. Just don’t fuck with him over this.” Emmett told him.

 

“What?” Reese asked, sounding not too happy to be interrupted.

 

“I got a call from Lindsay’s husband, and would like to know who is coming to dinner tomorrow night,” Brian told him.

 

“Give me the name and I’ll give you the answer. Later.” Reese told him.

 

“Randolph Williams, from…” Brian looked at Ted.

 

“Texas,” Ted told him, which Brian repeated to Reese.

 

“I’ll call and have my guys get the information,” Reese told him.

 

“I’m going to make sure Justin is okay, and you’re going to forget the nap and call Mel,” Brian told him, not even bothering to grab anything but his keys.

 

Chapter 15 by starlight

Brian held Justin's hand as they walked into the restaurant. Reese was able to talk to Randolph’s son and daughter. Neither was thrilled with their father's new bride. They couldn’t figure out why their father married her since he wasn’t the trophy wife type. They admitted that although Randolph seemed to fawn over Lindsay, he’d been questioning the stories of her plight. Rudolph’s son let Reese know that his father had asked him to look into both Brian and Justin before he called to talk to Brian. 

 

Randolph watched as the two men walked into the restaurant, not seeing the monster Lindsay described in the man who let Justin Taylor use him for strength. Brian didn’t wait for a greeting but got straight to the point.

 

“What’s the purpose of meeting us?” Brian asked.

 

“To clear up some confusion about both of you. My new wife came to me confessing about her past, claiming that she wanted to reunite with the son she left with Justin. When I asked to speak to him, only wanting to find out if he was agreeable, she then admitted the son she confessed to loving, she hadn’t seen in five years. Then the story once again changed to you, Brian. Claiming you chased after her, angry that she dared to have your child when SHE was all you wanted. Now, I’m very confused.” Randolph said, looking at their clasped hands. 

 

“I can clear up one thing for you. I have never wanted Lindsay as anything other than a friend. And that ended when she got pregnant without me knowing about it until after she paid someone to get her what she needed. If it helps, I did look for her, but only because I didn’t want my child raised by her. So she did tell you part of the truth, which is more than she seemed capable of.” Brian said, making sure everything was clear as glass. 

 

“My wife would like to at least see the child, and I was hoping that we could find a way to make it possible. From everything she said it sounded like she felt since she and Justin were friends.” Randolph told them.

 

“I really barely knew her. In fact, the first time I ever really talked to her was when she went into labor. Up until then, I didn’t even know her name.” Justin told him.

 

“She must have trusted you, she left her son with you,” Randolph told him.

 

Brian was about to say something but Justin interrupted. “I don’t know if she trusted me or not. What I do know is everything seemed more important to her than being with Gus. Do you think she trusted me? To me, trust means telling the person you trust everything, which she didn’t. Until I met Brian I didn’t even know her real name. I didn’t know where the hell she disappeared to since she packed her shit on Gus’s first birthday and left, saying she’d be back. In essence, she left the child you claim she is so concerned about in the hands of a virtual stranger. I could have been anyone, done anything, but you know, she was so concerned she never once contacted me about Gus. It’s not like I made it hard for her to find him. I stayed in Chicago for only one reason, so if she wanted anything to do with Gus, she could find us. Only she never did, and it reaffirmed to me that just because you give DNA doesn’t make you anything but the person who gives the DNA. Do you know what changed that for me? Brian did. The minute he thought Gus might be his, he made sure his son knew he’d be there. He’s willing to do whatever it takes to be there. Something your wife hasn’t bothered with, pretty much since Gus’s birth. Did she also tell you she didn’t even bother to name him, and practically slept through his first year of life. Letting a man she barely knew, but trusted, make sure Gus was fed, loved, and knew he’d never be fucking alone. So, I’m sorry if you're waiting for me to forget the bullshit she did and just welcome her into his life. It’s not happening unless Gus decides he wants to see her. Are we done?” Justin asked, pissed that she even acted like what she did was out of love for Gus.

 

“In the end, it’s not your decision anymore, is it? According to what I was able to find out, you renounced your custody to Gus’s natural father.” Randolph inquired at Brian.

 

“Actually Randy, anything concerning Gus is decided by both of us. We already made plans for Justin to adopt Gus legally. I honestly don’t like the implication that not being one of Gus’s natural parents means Justin wasn’t everything to Gus, and will always be a father to him. At this point, I don’t see that we have any more to discuss with you, because Lindsay gave up the right to play mommy when she walked away from OUR son.” Brian told him, motioning between himself and Justin.

 

“All I’m asking is to allow her to see Gus, nothing more,” Randolph told them.

 

“You really believe that’s all she wants?” Brian asked.

 

“She didn’t ask to see you Brian, just Justin,” Randolph told him.

 

“Why would she want to see me?” Justin asked.

 

“Because I thought it was time that you and I talked. Before Brian does something to convince you he’d be the kind of father you are to MY son.” Lindsay said, sitting down next to Randolph.

 

“So it wasn’t just going to be us,” Brian said to Randolph, pissed at Lindsay’s presence.

 

“Lindsay you were supposed to stay at your parent’s house.” Randolph scolds, like her father.

 

“I visited a few old friends. Imagine my surprise that Michael didn’t know about what Brian had been up to.” Lindsay smirked, looking behind Brian.

 

“Brian we need to talk, RIGHT NOW!” Michael screeched, looking at Brian’s hand in Justin’s.

 

“No Michael we don’t. And since your wife decided to show up, we are done.” Brian told Randolph.

 

“I make a bad enemy, Brian,” Randolph told him.

 

“So do I,” Justin replied to Randolph.

 

“You really think you could take on my husband?” Lindsay purred.

 

“You really think I was a poor, starving student?” Justin counters.

 

“I know you managed to make a living, but nothing compared to what Randolph has,” Lindsay commented.

 

“I’m assuming you looked into my life, too?” Justin asked Randolph.

 

“Yes,” Randolph answered, starting to wonder who the woman next to him was.

 

“Are you willing to go head to head with me?” Justin asked him.

 

“Or me? See, I know a little about you. And the one thing you don’t seem to like is anyone messing in your private world. While I hate outing anyone, I won’t hesitate to make you a laughing stock to protect Justin or OUR son. Another thing. Ask your wife how she supported herself before you came along.” Brian told him, waiting while Randolph looked at Lindsay, who had suddenly lost her smirk. “While my life wasn’t lily white, prostitution wasn’t part of my resume,” Brian told him, taking off the gloves.

 

“Justin, whatever Brian told you, he will never settle down,” Lindsay said, trying to get Justin to listen to her.

 

“He doesn’t do relationships or love,” Michael said, getting angry that Brian was ignoring him.

 

“Nope, I never did. At least until I met the man who loved Gus for me. One day when Justin’s ready, who knows, maybe he’ll agree to marry me.” Brian told them.

 

“NO! I spent years waiting for you.” Michael screamed, needing Brian to take it back.

 

“Lindsay, people are staring at us,” Randolph said, angry at the attention they were attracting.

 

“If you think Brian is doing anything but using you to get back at me, you’re living in a dream world,” Lindsay told Justin.

 

“Was that what you were doing with Gus, using him to get back at Brian for not wanting you?” Justin asked.

 

“BRIAN!” Michael screamed.

 

“Excuse me, but would you please keep it down.” The hostess told Michael.

 

“Justin are you ready to go?” Brian asked, ignoring everyone but Justin.

 

“Before you go; I know what you’re planning, and I’ll make sure neither of you gets it,” Lindsay told them.

 

“Lindsay, we will talk about this when we are home,” Randolph ordered her.

 

“Brian, let go of his hand. We need to talk about us.” Michael said, panicking at the way Brian looked at Justin.

 

“The only thing you need to understand about you and me, Mikey, is that there was never going to be anything more than friendship. Something Lindsay lost the day she paid someone to steal something from me. But maybe I should thank her because, in the end, it gave me Justin and Gus.” Brian told them.

 

“You think a judge is going to let you and him raise a child together? Remember, I know everything about you.” Lindsay threatened, as Randolph looked on, furious.

 

“I know everything about you too. You really want to play that game?” Brian told her, staring her down.

 

“You need to leave,” Michael ordered Justin.

 

“No sir, YOU need to leave.” The hostess told him, with two waiters in tow.

 

“Randolph, do something,” Lindsay ordered her husband.

 

“Justin, do you love Brian?” Randolph asked.

 

“It’s really none of your business,” Brian told him, not wanting Justin to feel pressured.

 

“I never really understood love, until the moment they put Gus in my arms. I just knew the minute I held that tiny baby, that nothing in my life mattered anymore, just Gus. I don’t know if I love Brian, but I do know nothing in my life matters any more than Gus and Brian.” Justin told him.

 

Michael smirked because this was when Brian would finally say one of his famous sayings about love.

 

“Nothing matters more than you and Gus for me,” Brian told Justin.

 

“Lindsay we need to go. You were right, Gus was in the best place when you left him with Justin. It was a pleasure meeting you both, and if my wife gives you any problems call me directly and I’ll deal with it.” Randolph told them, handing Brian a card.

 

Justin and Brian walked out, while Lindsay started arguing loudly with Randolph. 

 

Michael followed them to the parking lot. Brian wasn’t going to get away with ruining all of Michael’s dreams.

 

“Brian, don’t you fucking do this to us,” Michael shouted.

 

“Michael, listen. Are you listening? My US is Justin. It’s time for you to look for a life where I don’t star in the role AS your life.” Brian tells him.

 

“No, no, no…” Michael sobbed, tears streaming down his face.

 

Michael dried his tears, smiling as Brian came up to him, leaving the blond asshole next to the car. Brian leaned down and whispered, “Bye Mikey, I found out that I do love, just not with you. Go find someone who can love you the way I love Justin.” Kissing the top of Michael’s head the way Deb would.

 

 

 

Chapter 16 by starlight

Brian was very quiet on the ride home. He'd decided to pick up Gus and take his family home with him. Justin followed him into his mother's house to get Gus. Justin wasn’t sure what upset Brian more- Lindsay, Michael, or what he had said at the table. It was a moment when Justin felt lacking since his only real relationship was with Gus. Brian sat with Jen while Justin went up to get Gus’s things.

 

“I assuming things didn't go very well?” Jen asked him.

 

“I'm not even sure what Randolph’s purpose was tonight. Although Randolph likely realizes that Lindsay isn’t as malleable as she probably led him to believe she is.” Brian told her. 

 

“He likely doesn’t care, he didn’t marry her for her mind. Arm candy isn’t about a meeting of the minds.” Jen told him.

 

“He acted more like her father than her husband. He seems to think he can keep her from whatever she thinks she can do to stop what Brian and I planned. I get the feeling he’s going to find out differently after what she did. I got everything we’ll need for Gus.” Justin said, sitting down.

 

“She acted like a spoiled kid, showing up with fucking Mikey in tow,” Brian said, still pissed about having to deal with both of them.

 

“He’s always been a bit on the strange side,” Justin commented.

 

“How do you know that?” Brian asked.

 

“I’ve seen him at conventions. The other authors talk about the strange ones. I didn’t know he was the friend you kept talking about since it was the first time I’ve seen him since I got here. He actually never bothered with me, but at the time Rage wasn’t one of the major comics yet. Is he always like that with you, thinking you and he have some kind of relationship in the making?” Justin asked.

 

“I never wanted him the way he thinks I do,” Brian answered.

 

“I got that loud and clear, too bad he didn’t. Right now I’m more worried about Lindsay and the fact that Randolph really thinks she’s going to back down because he tells her to.” Justin told him.

 

“As long as he gives her the reasons she went into the marriage for, she will,” Jen told them.

 

“Tonight he didn’t. What bothers me is that she wanted to talk to me.” Justin told his mother.

 

“She wanted to get you on her side,” Brian told him.

 

“Nothing she could say would make it possible with me. She left Gus, and now apparently thinks I’ll judge YOU for your past. She needs to realize that nothing you’ve done could compare to what she did to Gus ” Justin told Brian.

 

“Do you think she’s going to try to stop what you and Justin planned to do?” Jen asked.

 

“I got the feeling she wanted me out of the picture. Justin is now her big plan. And she’s delusional enough to believe he will eventually fall in line with what she wants.” Brian told her.

 

“When she knew me, I did, just to be with Gus,” Justin told him.

 

“I have a feeling she thinks having Gus will give her what she wants, and somehow that means she needs you to help her,” Brian commented.

 

“Where did you get that idea? She practically threatened me.” Justin told him.

 

“She threatened you?” Jen asked Justin.

 

“Not to worry, Justin handled it,” Brian told her. 

 

“How?” Jen asked.

 

“I let them both know I could be a bigger threat, but so did Brian,” Justin told her.

 

“Which means, she could see you as a way out of a marriage with someone old enough to be her grandfather,” Brian told Justin.

 

“I left everything in trust for Gus, so she’d be waiting years to get anything if it’s about money. I do have access to it, but there wouldn’t be any way for her to get it.” Justin told Brian.

 

Brian let what Justin said sink in and started putting all the pieces together. The picture he got made him angry. “You didn’t tell me you left everything to Gus,” Brian told him.

 

“We never talked about it. In fact, you barely asked about it. I liked that you didn’t seem to care.” Justin told him.

 

“Why would it matter?” Jen asked.

 

“It wouldn’t, except that Lindsay likely knows how much Justin’s worth. Randolph obviously showed Lindsay what he found and hasn’t figured out how greedy she can be. Not just for money, but to be able to control her life the way she wants it to be. I need to know how much our son is worth to her.” Brian said.

 

“It was everything I had that we wouldn’t need. When I put it in the trust it was fifteen million, but it’s grown since then. I honestly don’t know how much because we never needed it. Plus the comic is exceeding expectations, so I put half the money from that in the account too. I make a little over one million a year right now. But it’s going to increase since I’m creating an animated version of Rage. Which I have full rights to since I’m the one creating it.” Justin told him.

 

“The trust will double when Justin turns thirty. My father wanted to ensure the kids wouldn’t go crazy with the money he left them, so he split the inheritance for both of them.” Jen told Brian.

 

“What about you?” Brian asked, looking around Jen’s modest condo.

 

“I kept enough to make sure I didn’t have to stay with Craig, but as Justin did, the rest is in trust for him and Molly,” Jen told them.

 

“Mom, I don’t need it,” Justin told her.

 

“No, but it’s there regardless. And it also could help you and Brian if she tries to fight you for Gus.” Jen told him.

 

“How would it help?” Brian asked.

 

“Justin could use that money instead of the money he earned, or by taking it away from Gus’s trust. I really never needed it, and I guess you could say I had doubts about my marriage almost from the beginning. My father warned me about getting involved with Craig, afraid that he would only see dollar signs. And while I wanted to believe differently, when my father died, I put the money away for both Justin and Molly. The account could only be accessed by me and the kids when they needed it, or in Justin’s case, when he wanted it. The only condition I put on the trust was that Craig was not to get his hands on one cent of the money. Right now, Justin has all the power over Gus’s inheritance, but eventually, Gus will have it and Lindsay sounds like she would do anything to convince Gus she’s the kind of mother she isn’t.” Jen told them.

 

“What did Dad say about it?” Justin asked, waiting for another reason to be disappointed in Craig.

 

“He wasn’t happy about it and it led to problems between us, but he never fought me for it in the divorce. Just told me that it showed how little I trusted him.” She told him.

 

“Until Gus turns twenty-one the money is still controlled by me. The only problem is that if something happened to me, then the money is controlled by the person responsible for him. It’s why I wanted to see Daphne. Until recently I didn’t think about what would happen to Gus if something happened to me. So Lindsay wouldn’t get anything, even if she managed to get Gus. We should talk to Mel about putting you in charge in case I can’t be.” Justin told Brian.

 

“We can also get Ted to help tie it up in so many knots that Lindsay couldn’t touch the money. It’s the only reason I can think that she’s trying to talk to Justin. She probably doesn’t know about the trust, and she’s depending on Justin being the guy she thinks he is because he let her use him to keep Gus with him.” Brian told them.

 

“It sounds like she wants more than money,” Jen told them.

 

“What else could she want?” Justin asked.

 

“From everything you and Brian have said here and there about her, she wants what she can’t have, and can’t be happy unless she gets everything her way. Which apparently the husband isn’t doing, by siding with you.” Jen told them.

 

“Justin would be someone she couldn’t have but would likely want, because unlike Mel or me, he has the kind of background her parents would approve of. I’m sure Randolph, for all his money, isn’t really someone she can show off to everyone and feel superior about since she’s arm candy, no matter how Randolph tries to pretend she isn’t.” Brian commented. 

 

“She’s lost her mind if she thinks I’d do anything for her,” Justin told them.

 

“She doesn’t know you, so I think she just assumed she’d get you to believe her version of me. In the past, her version would be something she would have been right about. I didn’t date, barely remembered a name, and my commitment was only long enough to kick the trick out of bed when we were finished. I didn’t plan to change my life. But then you came along.” Brian told Justin.

 

Gus came yawning into the living room and climbed in between Justin and Brian. “I gots my bear, can we goes now?” 

 

“Do you need me to help out tomorrow?” Jen asked them.

 

“Only if Lindsay shows up again. I don’t want her near him.” Brian whispered to her.

 

“Call if you need me. I have no problem dealing with her.” Jen assured them.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Michael sat in the diner, upset at everything. How could Brian act like Justin Cole meant more to him then he did? He looked up every time the door opened, needing someone to talk to. Emmett finally showed up with Ted and Blake. They all saw him but sat across the diner from him. Michael was about to walk over and demand to know why they didn’t come to him, but Reese walked in and sat next to Emmett. Michael stayed where he was because he didn’t want the bastard acting like he was right about Brian. Michael watched as they were all smiling and having a good time, while not even worrying that he was upset. He didn’t even notice his mother standing next to him until she moved to sit in front of him.

 

“Who killed your dog?” she asked, as her son’s puppy dog eyes told her there was a problem in his world.

 

“Brian is saying shit that couldn’t be true. He’s not in love,” Michael mumbled.

 

“He’s not going to be what you want. It’s time you stop daydreaming and face reality. I’ve told you, he isn’t going to be what you wish he would be. My mistake was getting him to protect you all his life, which didn’t help you see he was only ever going to be your friend.” Deb finally said what everyone knew but Michael.

 

“He doesn’t really want Justin Cole either. Lindsay told me…”

 

“When did you talk to Lindsay?” Ted asked as he was walking by, headed to the bathroom.

 

“She showed up at my place and told me I needed to deal with Brian. It was the first time we agreed over Brian. Brian doesn’t want Justin, but apparently, it’s what he has to do in order to get the kid that he never wanted anyway.” Michael told him.

 

“That’s where you're wrong. Brian searched for Gus from the moment Lindsay took off. I’m happy to say that he not only found Gus but also someone who he might be able to love in Justin. Which is why he left you out of it. He didn’t need you to do what you tried with Reese, on Justin.” Ted told him.

 

“I just told the guy the same thing I’ve told anyone who thought Brian would even consider them. Something Brian never said anything about before.” Michael told him.

 

“He’ll say something now. Justin is different for Brian.” Ted told him. Leaving when Michael once again stopped listening because it wasn’t what he wanted to hear.

 

“At least nothing I did stopped Brian from finding someone he could love the way he doesn’t love you. Are you hearing me?” Deb asked when Michael closed off once again.

 

“I just need to make Justin listen. You’re right Ma.” Michael told her, getting up and leaving, not listening to anything that didn’t end with him getting Brian for himself.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian opened the loft door, ready to kill anyone if they woke up Justin and Gus. It took them quite a while to get Gus back to sleep after bringing him to the loft. Gus saw the train set and wanted to play. Neither Brian or Justin could tell him no, and they all ended up falling asleep on the cushions, watching Gus giggle as he played conductor. Gus was using the train to take Brian with him and Justin on all their adventures. Brian loved hearing he and Justin referred to Daddy and Dada. When he was almost asleep he found the toys Brian had for him. Including the new soccer ball, which they played with while Justin fell asleep. Gus fell asleep hugging the new soccer ball, and Brian gladly laid down with both his boys, sleeping better than he had in years while holding them both.

 

Mel was standing on the other side of the door looking like she had a long night. And the long night seemed to be busy trying to seep in into the morning. Which was why Mel seemed distracted and still trying to bang on the door that was already open.

 

“Mel, as much as I like public sex, I really only like it if there’s dick involved.” Brian joked.

 

“I have a strap on.” The woman with her quipped.

 

“I’m sure you do, and it just proves Mel isn’t opposed to dick, just likes it with a chick.” He told her.

 

“Leda don’t. He’ll just keep going.” Mel told her, kissing her lips to shut up what was about to come out.

 

“Girls, is there some reason you’re here, other than to turn my stomach?” Brian asked when they didn’t seem to want to stop.

 

“I got a visit last night from Randolph Jr. He had a lot to say about Lindsay, and none of it good. Lindsay wasn’t originally after the Sr version until Jr turned her down repeatedly. He thinks his father married Lindsay in case Jr got tempted by her.” Mel told him.

 

“Reese didn’t know that since apparently, the son left it out,” Brian told her.

 

“It’s all about appearances. And Lindsay doesn’t have access to more than an allowance, which means she really can’t fight us unless she convinces Randolph that you and Justin aren’t the best for Gus.” She told Brian as she walked into the loft.

 

Justin woke up, hearing them talk. He decided to get breakfast started since Gus would wake up soon. Mel was actually smiling and couldn’t keep her hands off Leda. Justin figured she finally stopped letting Lindsay close her off from the world.

 

“I think that’s why he asked if I love you,” Justin told Brian, who stilled.

 

“The father puts a lot of stock in family. And according to Jr, he only wanted to see that Brian wanted Gus since everything Lindsay said made it sound like Brian only wanted Lindsay. Her tale of woe could have made a lifetime movie of the week. Only Jr had a hard time understanding it since everything he found out about you indicated as you said, you like dick.” Mel told him.

 

“I LOVE Justin’s,” Brian told her, just to watch her squirm.

 

“I can see it if I wasn’t into pussy,” Leda said, laughing when Brian wrapped his arms possessively around Justin.

 

“You’re not too bad yourself,” Justin told her, enjoying Brian’s scowling lips, kissing him.

 

“Anything happen last night that I need to know about?” Mel asked, to interrupt the make out.

 

“Lindsay might want Justin more than she wants me,” Brian told her.

 

“Lindsay needs to get with the program since it’s pretty obvious where Justin’s priorities are,” Mel commented.

 

“I’ll never get why you put up with her,” Leda told Mel. 

 

“Brian thinks it’s because she figured out I’m not who she assumed I was, a poor student,” Justin told her.

 

“She liked money, but it was more about status with her. She liked hearing I was studying law, just didn’t like that what I did wasn’t high profile. Which I ended up doing when I left her. It’s why I had so many problems with Brian. She made sure I felt inadequate because her ‘best friend’ was the one who led the life her parents would pay attention to.” Mel told them.

 

“Which Randolph could do for her. So why is she still trying to get it from someone else?” Brian asked.

 

“Randolph lets his son and daughter deal with it. He’s pretty much retired now and pretty much spends his time at home, out of the circus. He thought it would keep Lindsay from causing problems. Only he didn’t see that Lindsay would be a bigger problem, because she craves attention. Something she proved last night when she told Randolph that if he didn’t help her, she wanted a divorce. She also said that she would make sure to have everything splashed across the headlines if he didn’t help her.” Mel told them.

 

“She isn’t worried about her life being outed? Of course not, because Randolph wouldn’t want anyone to know he married someone who’s background would embarrass him.” Justin said, thinking about the life he left behind.

 

“Yep. He wanted to protect his son. And in a way thought he was helping Lindsay too. At least they made sure Lindsay couldn’t get her hands on the family fortune. He did set aside money for her, but nothing that would cause you or Brian any problems. Plus she’ll look like the worst kind of mother since I not only have what Brian gave me but also a few men who the son could get to testify as to Lindsay’s run in prostitution. The son doesn’t care what the media says, he just wants Lindsay out of his father’s life.” Mel said, smiling a shark smile.

 

“The Peterson’s will care, and we both know it. They paint Lindsay any way that makes her sound how they want her to sound.” Brian said.

 

“Only they’re dealing with you, and you’ve never cared about what anyone thinks. You’re someone her family didn’t like because you tend to be pretty upfront about everything, not caring what anyone says about you.” Mel told him.

 

“I think that was a compliment. Was it?” Brian joked.

 

“Yes, Asshole. I’ve stopped letting Lindsay color my view of you.” Mel told him.

 

“Daddy,” Gus said rubbing his eyes and going to Brian, wanting to be held.

 

“Really? You had to make me see this?” Mel teased, as Brian let Gus rest his head on his shoulder.

 

“Payback for the show at my door this morning,” Brian said, kissing Gus’s head. “I don’t care what we have to do, just make sure we win,” Brian told Mel.

 

“I’m meeting with Nancy and Ron. It’s time they know everything we have.” Mel told them.

 

“While it was great to meet the antichrist, I have something I need to do to you,” Leda told Mel.

 

“Whats you gots to do?” Gus asked.

 

“Help your Daddy,” Mel said, trying to contain her laughter at Gus’s sudden interest in the conversation.

 

“I have a Daddy and Dada now,” Gus informed her.

 

“How’s that working for you?” Mel asked, thinking if life had been different he could have been hers.

 

“Daddy plays with me and makes my Dada smile lots. I wants ta keep him.” Gus told her.

 

“I think we will,” Justin said, smiling at Brian.

 

“I know you will,” Brian told Justin and Gus.

 

“Then you will. Because Daddy says so,” Mel told him.

 

“Yous could be my friend too, can you kick a ball?” Gus asked.

 

“I’ve been told I’m pretty good at kicking balls,” Mel told him, causing Brian to bark out a laugh.

 

“Okays. Can she kick the ball you gots?” Gus asked Brian, making Justin lay his head on Brian’s shoulder and decide it was time to rein in Brian’s habit of buying Gus toys.

 

“Sonny Boy, one day we are going to talk about why that was wrong, in so many ways,” Brian said seriously.

 

 

Chapter 17 by starlight

Justin started working on his animated comic, just needing a distraction from how fast everything in his life had changed in a week. Brian didn’t act as if he was worried about Mel talking to Lindsay’s parents. But Justin worried, only because he felt like everything was out of his control. He looked over at Gus playing with Brian and wanted his future to be like this. Not having it clouded by having to worry about Lindsay. Justin knew Brian would fight for Gus, and he trusted Brian to be on Gus’s side. Only, eventually, Gus would need the answers about Lindsay. And those thoughts were the reason Justin needed a distraction. Randolph’s question was also running through Justin’s head, did he love Brian? Justin really didn’t have the answer to that. He knew that right now he felt more for Brian than he’d ever felt for anyone. Not that he had a lot of experience with men. Just a con artist, and men who had hit on Justin, but they just didn’t interest him. Brian’s looks were the first thing Justin noticed about the man. Eventually, it was the way Brian made sure Justin knew it was more than Gus that he was interested in. Brian looked up at Justin as if he knew Justin was thinking of him.

 

Brian saw a hint of the smile he was starting to crave as Justin looked at the screen of his laptop. He knew Justin was worried about the whole situation. Brian’s main concern was that Lindsay could make anyone believe she was anything that fit what she needed, in order to get what she wanted. He really wondered why she overplayed her hand, by showing Randolph the Lindsay that was underneath. It was hard on Brian to sit back and let others take care of his problems, but it was better he didn’t get near Lindsay since he wanted to wring her neck. He looked up again when he felt Justin’s eyes on him again. 

 

“Do you really think Lindsay’s parents are going to listen?” Justin asked.

 

“Her parents are more the, ‘ignore it until you can’t’ type, so they’ll listen, but whether they’ll do anything is really the question,” Brian told him.

 

“I grew up with it, at least until my father couldn’t fake his view on my life, any more than I could fake not being gay. It’s strange sometimes for me to look back on the times when everyone thought our family was perfect because, at that time, I thought we were. Do you know the messed up part for me? It was finding out that the father I thought loved me, didn’t.” Justin told him.

 

“I grew up pretty close to the same way. Only my father didn’t care if anyone knew the Kinney’s were trash. While my mother used God to excuse anything that didn’t fit into her idea of the perfect Christian family.” Brian told him.

 

“Is it weird to you that in essence we all sort of grew up in the same kind of families?” Justin asked.

 

“Except mine barely had a dime,” Brian told him.

 

“Is that why you’re so ambitious?” Justin asked.

 

“I wanted anything that made that life a distant memory,” Brian told him.

 

“Is that what Chicago will do for you? Make Pittsburgh a memory?” Justin asked.

 

“Honestly, even before I met you, I thought about the fact that I should have opened my business somewhere else. Looking at my life, it became almost routine, as you said on our first date.” Brian told him.

 

“It’s why I started doing things like getting out of my apartment. I didn’t want Gus to think the world consisted of just the apartment and the few places I frequented. The Cons gave us a chance to travel around and see and do things that at one time I wanted to do.” Justin told him.

 

“Why did you stop wanting them?” Brian asked.

 

“Dada wanted to shows me the world,” Gus told Brian.

 

“Are you done showing him?” Brian asked Justin.

 

“There are always Cons to go to. In fact, the plan was to go to Europe after Pittsburgh. Only now, it looks like we’re stuck here until the other problem is solved.” Justin told Brian.

 

“We need to talk about it. I think we should go ahead and go back to Chicago.” Brian told Justin.

 

“You don’t think we should stay here until we know what’s going to happen?” Justin asked, trying to be careful of what Gus heard.

 

“Mel will make sure we know if we’re needed here. I need to start looking into moving Kinnetik. Since apparently, there’s a lot of interest, from what Ted was able to find out. You also have things that you need to do. We aren’t going to put our lives on hold while someone has a temper tantrum. I think being somewhere where my life can’t constantly interfere would give us time to see where this is headed with us.” Brian told him.

 

“You know, I’m still having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of us,” Justin told Brian.

 

“I know. You think we barely know each other. But part of the reason I know I want us to do this is that nothing about you makes me want to run the other way. The last few nights, I wake up happy that you're next to me.” Brian told him.

 

“How about I go get some things to make for dinner, and maybe see if my mom wants some time with Gus before we go. Then I’ll see if I can’t keep you happy tomorrow morning.” Justin said, ready to really leap.

 

 

There was no love lost between Ron, Nancy, and Mel. In a way, Mel now got it. She was Lindsay’s way of slapping them in the face to the kind of life they expected from Lindsay. They never said it out loud, but Mel sensed their discomfort anytime Lindsay forced the three of them to be in the same place. For years they made it so Lindsay and Mel had to play the roles they wanted when having Lindsay at an event was mandatory. Which in Lindsay’s head meant shoving her relationship with Mel down their throats, even when Mel would have rather stayed at home.

 

“I see you’re doing well for yourself,” Nancy said, looking around the office.

 

Compared to Mel’s previous office, which was barely big enough for her desk and a couple of chairs, this office was spacious and welcoming. The firm owned the whole building, not just a small area in the building, so Mel nodded at Nancy’s words.

 

“Is there some reason you wanted to talk to us?” Ron asked when it got uncomfortable that they really had nothing to say to each other.

 

“I’m representing Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor and thought we should talk about Lindsay’s baby. The one she abandoned with Justin Taylor.” Mel told them.

 

Nancy’s composure dropped, and what Mel saw was the ice queen Lindsay never quite perfected. 

 

“You expect us to welcome the child into our family?” She asked, not sounding happy at the prospect of a grandson.

 

“The baby is our grandchild,” Ron argued with her, not convincing Mel he was any happier about it than his wife.

 

“The baby represents every reason we had problems with Lindsay. She used it as a way to taunt Lynette, upset me, and get you to open up your wallet when I specifically forbid you to help her.” Nancy told him.

 

“She’s our daughter. I did no more for her than I did for Lynette. The last thing either of us wanted was her life to bring scandal to the family. I got her out of the situation for that reason.” Ron told Nancy, looking uncomfortable saying what he did in front of Mel.

 

Mel listened to them argue more, but was going to take a gamble and see if they already knew about Lindsay’s escapades. “Brian and I both agree that Ron made a good decision getting Lindsay out of her flirting with prostitution.”

 

Ron didn’t have the poker face to hide his surprise at Mel knowing about it. Nancy, on the other hand, once again acted like she didn’t hear what Mel said.

 

“I think, along with her abandonment of Gus, you both know it would be better for everyone to make sure Lindsay keeps all the chapters in her life before her new marriage, closed,” Mel told them.

 

“I’m sure your client understands we don’t take threats lightly,” Ron said, acting like the entitled bastard he tried to hide behind the fake smiles that he had taught Lindsay.

 

“Brian doesn’t threaten, he promises. And he follows through on them. But you're not just dealing with Brian Kinney, you’re also dealing with Justin Taylor. In the case of both of them, they will do whatever it takes to guarantee Gus never has to know the kind of family having Lindsay as a mother would give him. Neither one of them gives a shit if they have to drag the Peterson name through the mud to get it. And to give you a clue, nothing you could drag up on Brian would matter to him, since he’s never given a shit what anyone thought about how he lived his life. Something I’m learning from him. Something you two will learn if you don’t get your daughter under control too is that I have no problem telling anyone exactly what it was like being your daughter’s lesbian lover, and how little you two liked the idea of it. Although I’m sure the fellow country club patrons agree with you, they also know supporting your bigotry isn’t popular. How do you think that would work for your company when they find out?” Mel told them.

 

“We’ll speak to Lindsay, but she wants to meet with Justin Taylor,” Nancy told her.

 

“She already tried, and he really doesn’t want to speak to her,” Mel told her.

 

“Maybe if he spoke to her then he’d realize she only wants Gus to be with him. She feels the connection to Brian would be less acceptable for Gus to have in his life. From what she managed to get Randolph to share with us, we agree. Justin would give Gus an upbringing that wouldn’t be tainted by Brian’s unfortunate background.” Nancy told her.

 

“Really, you never cared for Lindsay’s association with him, so I would think you would agree he was a mistake all around, for all of us,” Ron told Mel.

 

“We plan to speak to Craig Taylor about Justin’s new acquaintance, and hope he can see how this could work for both families. Lindsay and Justin could make sure no one ever knows about Brian’s involvement in the child’s conception. And in turn, she only wants to be included in Justin and the child’s life.” Nancy told her.

 

“Where does Randolph fit into this?” Mel asked since Nancy was pushing this as if he wasn’t included.

 

“He realized last night he made a mistake marrying our daughter, but we both believe he’ll change his mind when he sees that Lindsay was only worried about her child,” Ron answered.

 

“You people are a piece of work. You’re trying to save your connection to Randolph by using your grandchild.” Mel said, incredulous at their audacity. 

 

“We just agree that family is important,” Nancy told her.

 

“Only when you get something out of it. Because nothing you and Ron did the entire time that Lindsay and I were together, says you do. What neither of you seems to get is that you’re dealing with Brian Kinney, a man who will remove anything that threatens the people he loves. And while he might not say it, Justin and Gus are who he loves the most. All Lindsay managed to figure out is that Justin isn’t the kid she thought would let her walk all over him. Since the only reason he gave in to Lindsay was for Gus. If she thinks she can threaten to take Gus from him to get what she wants, she might want to rethink it, since Gus is now legally in Brian’s custody. Something Justin did to keep Gus from a mother who walked away from him and never looked back until she found out the ‘starving student’ was anything but. Although it won’t do anything for her since she means absolutely nothing to Justin.” Mel tells them.

 

“You want to know why we didn’t approve of you? It’s because you never understood what was expected from anyone associated with our family.” Nancy told Mel, getting up to leave.

 

“There are sacrifices you have to make, and I’m sure Justin’s family understands that,” Ron added, following her out.

 

“Something Justin didn’t make when he left Craig Taylor’s expectations behind. Have fun if you think Craig can get Justin to fall in line since he couldn’t before.” Mel told them as they walked out.

 

 

Chapter 18 by starlight

Justin went to the store near Brian’s loft to pick up a few things for dinner. He was pretty much in his own world. Justin didn’t want to think about Lindsay until he needed to, he needed to think about the changes in his and Gus’s life by including Brian. Even with them only knowing each other for a week, it was nice that they both understood that Gus was the most important person to them. Even the past that Brian told him about didn’t have anything to do with what he and Brian were doing now. Justin needed to stop looking for reasons that made it seem like he and Brian were moving too fast and take the leap he kept saying he would take. If it didn’t work out between them, they at least needed to be friends and find a way to make sure Gus was supported.

 

Justin finished getting what he needed to make stir fry and managed to get out of the store before he thought too much about what he was going to do. Brian texted that he was going to take Gus to his grandma and would be back as soon as possible. He also wanted to talk to Ted and Cynthia about leaving sooner. Justin figured he could have dinner ready by the time Brian got back. Which would have been workable if Michael wasn’t standing outside the loft when Justin got there. Justin hoped the man would leave when he told him Brian wasn’t there, but Michael seemed happy to hear it.

 

“I came to talk to you, and maybe get you to see that things aren’t what you thought they were,” Michael told him. Sounding almost as if he was sad for Justin.

 

“Why would you think talking to you would change what I think?” Justin asked.

 

“Who better to tell you what you should expect than the guy who knows Brian the best. It’s not that I want to discourage you, but you have to deal with reality, not the person Brian is likely making you believe he is. He probably wants to be that person for you, but in the end, he’ll feel stifled and want out. So I’m here to let you know what you’ll have to put up with if you expect him to stay around.” Michael told him.

 

“Which is?” Justin asked, unlocking the door. Figuring that until Michael got finished talking, he wouldn’t leave.

 

“The freedom to be where he wants to be and to do what he wants to do. If you think you and he are going to make a happy little homelife with the kid than you need to know it’s not something Brian would ever want. Right now he’s telling you what you want to hear because he thinks he wants to be a father, something he didn’t want when Lindsay announced she’d tricked him. Brian depended on the only person he trusted to deal with the situation for him. Me. The only reason he didn’t ask me to deal with you was that you had something he wanted, the kid. Apparently, that isn’t going to be a problem, since I heard he now has custody. So I came here to talk to you about what to expect now that he’s got what he really wants.” Michael told him, looking strangely at Justin when he didn’t react to what he was saying, just started cutting up vegetables.

 

“Which is?” Justin asked again when Michael obviously didn’t get the reaction he wanted out of him.

 

“For me to be there to help him. Which means you need to go back to wherever you came from and leave it up to me to help Brian, and not get in the way of his life.” Michael told him.

 

“I don’t see a problem with going back home. In fact, I plan to, tomorrow.” Justin told him.

 

“That’s really for the best. Once Brian gets Lindsay off his back, then he’ll want me to be here for the kid. So you would really be doing the kid a favor by letting him get used to the way it’s going to be here.” Michael said, happy that Justin was willing to leave.

 

“And also for you, by clearing the path to Brian for you. Isn’t that what you really want?” Justin asked him.

 

“You wouldn’t be doing anything that wasn’t already pretty much the way things are going to be. It was always going to be Brian and me. I just let him do the things he needed to before he was ready for what I… we, wanted. I’ll get going now since you seem to understand what you need to do.” Michael left, happily thinking that things were going to be exactly how he wanted them to be.

 

Justin shook his head at Michael’s words. Everything Michael said was in direct contrast to what Brian was doing. On top of it, Michael’s plans were what he seemed to warn Justin that Brian didn’t want. It was the most confusing conversation Justin ever had.

 

Ted, with Jen’s help, had already leased a small suite of rooms for the offices in Chicago. He had meetings scheduled with three new clients once the furniture was delivered. Cynthia was planning to leave with Brian in the morning. She would get things set up while Brian got settled with Gus and Justin and while Ted stayed behind and kept things going in Pittsburgh. They were willing to do what Brian needed in order to make this transition work. Brian didn’t let them see how proud he was of the people he'd chosen when he opened up the doors of Kinnetik. He only nodded as they told him without words that they were willing to do whatever he wanted so he could be happy. He called Mel after they left the office to see how things went with Nancy and Ron, not really expecting much from the talk.

 

“They want to make it sound like Justin was the father and that he and Lindsay are close to each other. They want you erased from the picture. Strangely enough, you seem to be the person for everyone to blame. It sounds like they are trying to do damage control to keep Randolph from dumping Lindsay in their laps again.” Mel told him.

 

“They really think I give a shit about their reputations or connections? This is about my son. He’s not going to be a chess piece they move around to keep scandal at bay.” Brian told her.

 

“They also aren’t getting that you hold all the cards right now, and somehow apply their logic with Lindsay to Justin. They think talking to Justin’s father will bring Justin to heel.” Mel laughed.

 

“From the way Jen talks about Craig, he simply wants to ignore that Justin exists. I doubt he’s going to want to get involved.” Brian told her.

 

“Not unless he has something to lose or gain from it. He seemed to find it funny when I told him why they wanted to see him.” Mel told him, hanging up.

 

Brian laughed at Mel’s way of thwarting the Petersons and looked at the time, deciding to get back to the loft. Cynthia let him know on the way out the door that she needed a list of what he wanted to be moved with him. Brian stopped for a second, thinking about it.

 

“Everything.” He told her, walking out the door. Knowing that his life was going to be where Justin and Gus were from now on.

 

Lindsay sat on the couch staring at the family portrait on the mantle while her mother was lecturing away at all the things that Lindsay did to screw up their lives. As she looked at the picture of them, dressed, smiling, and pretending they were perfect, she thought about how they weren’t. Her father’s life was pretty much giving in to all of Mommy’s decrees. If he even tried to do something Mommy didn’t like, she made sure he understood what it would cost him. Lindsay didn’t get how he could head a business when at home he was weak and pathetic. In contrast, her mother was demure in public, the perfect hostess, everything she wasn’t at home. Maybe that was why Lynette was her favorite, because they both thrived on beating down the men in their lives. Only Lynette didn’t pick as well as Mommy did since she couldn’t hold on to a marriage. But nothing Lynette did mattered to her parents, she was always better than Lindsay. 

 

“I need you to behave when Craig Taylor gets here, and show Randolph whatever it was that made him believe you were worth marrying.” Nancy told her.

 

“Why? Randolph left saying I’d hear from his lawyer, so it sounds like he’s not the one.” Lindsay said absently.

 

“No, what it sounds like is you couldn’t keep it together the way I taught you. A man like that could have given you all the things we hoped for you. But you had to drag up a past that you seemed to forget about until you came here. You took off when we already had a way to make what you did right. We planned to help you, but once again you disappointed us. If you pursue this, Brian Kinney isn’t going to hide that you were basically a high price escort, and will drag our names through the mud. Something we could have prevented if you’d just allowed your sister to raise the child. We were thrilled Lynette would be a mother, and instead, you took the money and left our grandson with a stranger. Lynette would have given him everything. I can only be thankful that Justin was someone we could at least be happy with. You need to make sure that Craig sees it our way.” Nancy told her, going to answer the door.

 

Lindsay watched as Craig came in, noticing that he seemed puzzled at why her parents invited him, or at least wanted them to think he was. Lindsay followed them to the den for drinks, grabbing a beer as her mother looked at her disapprovingly.

 

“Is there a reason you asked me to come over?” Craig asked.

 

“We seem to have something in common, and wanted to discuss with you how to handle the situation, so everyone involved sees things the way we want them to.” Ron told Craig.

 

“What do we have in common?” Craig asked.

 

“Justin, Lindsay, and a grandson.” Ron told Craig, pointing to Lindsay.

 

“My son Justin?” Craig asked.

 

“Yes, Lindsay and Justin have a son in common. One that we want to see doesn’t end up with the wrong kind of people. Lindsay’s husband recently wanted to reunite her with her child, but there are a few complications that seem to bring a situation back to haunt us.” Nancy told him.

 

“What are you expecting from me? Justin lives his own life.” Craig asked them.

 

“He involved the real father. A Brian Kinney. Brian wouldn’t care what it did to any of us if the truth was brought to light. What we need you to do is talk to your son about a deal we’d be willing to make to keep Brian out of it.” Nancy told him.

 

Craig’s laughter wasn’t what Nancy expected. “You know, I have a problem with Justin’s lifestyle. But until it came out, one of the things I was, and still am proud of, is that Justin never gave in to anyone’s demands that he do anything but what he wanted. Since you obviously don’t know that about Justin, then you also don’t know that there isn’t anything you could do that would get him to be or do anything but who he is and what he wants to do. He also wouldn’t give a damn what I said to him.” Craig said, sounding proud of his son.

 

“If he doesn’t, you’ll feel the scandal too.” Lindsay added, to see how he reacted.

 

“What scandal? That Justin is gay? Already happened. That he took in your son while you ran off, and from all accounts offered yourself out to anyone willing to pay for it? Not sounding like it’s something that would scandalize my family, but yours. From what I was told, Justin and Brian plan to raise ‘Gus’, not ‘the child’ together. While you are just hoping to save Lindsay’s marriage and keep the backlash from your family.” Craig told them, smirking.

 

“What if Brian and Justin decided to get married?” Lindsay asked, trying to figure out how to get Craig on her side.

 

“Nothing I could do about it, other than disapprove of it. Since that didn’t work on Justin years ago, I doubt it will now. And, while yes, I do disapprove of it, in the end, if Justin is happy, that’s all that will matter. I spent years distancing myself from my family over it. All that happened was that I lost everything that at one time I valued, over something Justin couldn’t change about himself. And if you thought I’d be willing to lose more by siding with you, think again.” Craig told them, putting his untouched drink down and walking towards the door.

 

“I’m willing to get some people to invest in your business.” Ron told him.

 

“I’m not for sale. That’s something I learned from my son. I’m also not willing to put a child near your family after listening to how you value ‘it’.” Craig said, walking out the door and leaving the house.

 

Nancy paced around the room, not understanding Craig Taylor. “He turned his back on Justin, proclaimed his hatred of homosexuality, that should have had him willing to do what we wanted.” Nancy told Ron.

 

“He still loves him. It doesn’t matter to him that Justin isn't everything he wanted.” Lindsay told her, jealous of Justin for having everything she couldn’t.

 

Brian walked in to the smell of garlic and set the table for them. He went to look for Justin, who was in the bathroom taking a shower. In the past, this would have had the asshole in Brian demanding what Justin thought he was doing here, but now it felt like a home he once dreamed of having when he would hide from his father and mother. He never wanted to depend on anyone, but with Justin, it felt equal. Neither of them would stay with each other out of obligation, but because it was where they wanted to be. Letting go of those thoughts Brian undressed and got in the shower with Justin.

 

Justin was rinsing out his hair and Brian needed to touch him. Justin smiled when he opened his eyes and saw Brian naked in front of him, and let Brian run his hands down his body. Brian watched as goose bumps appeared everywhere he touched Justin.

 

“It feels like everywhere you touch comes alive with feelings I never felt before.” Justin told him.

 

“Everything feels different with you.” Brian told him, going down on his knees.

 

“Why?” Justin asked, trying not to think about Michael.

 

“It’s different because with you everything means more than it ever has.” Brian told him, taking Justin into his mouth.

 

Justin moaned loudly as Brian took him down his throat. Only Justin wanted more, he wanted Brian inside him. A place only Brian would ever be. Justin pulled at Brian’s hair and almost came instantly when hazel eyes looked straight into his. Eyes that continued staring until Justin came. When Brian stood he kissed Justin, letting the blond taste himself on his tongue. Brian then turned Justin around and grabbed a condom he had left on the shelf.

 

“You were waiting for me.” Brian growled, and he made quick work of the condom and then used the lube to open up Justin.

 

“Hoping you’d show.” Justin said, turning his head and kissing Brian as he started to enter him.

 

Neither of them talked any more, since they were no longer able to do anything but feel. As Brian started hammering into him, Justin met him thrust for thrust. The water was turning cool when both of them came, causing them to laugh at the cold shower they had to take in order to clean up the mess they’d made. 

 

They threw on robes and Justin got their dinners out of the oven. Both sat eating, knowing once they were done, they weren’t going to need the robes. Justin wanted to tell Brian about Michael, but the buzzer went off and Brian went to check it. Justin froze as he heard the sound of his father’s voice. Something he hadn’t heard since the day he walked out of his childhood home. Brian looked to Justin to see if he should let the man in. Justin nodded warily since he really didn’t know what to expect from his father anymore. One thing he wouldn’t do was put on clothes, since he didn’t give a shit how uncomfortable it would make Craig Taylor to see what was obviously going on.

 

Craig didn’t disappoint him, since he was very uncomfortable at seeing them only wearing robes and the dinner that was set for two.

 

“I should have called first.” Craig said, gratefully accepting the drink Brian handed him. 

 

“I would still be gay if you had.” Justin told him.

 

“I’d still be shocked, but it’s not why I came here. Trust me, your mother made sure I understood exactly what she’d do if I upset you. I still might, since I was invited to the Peterson’s. I guess they expected me to get you to do what they want.” Craig told Justin, snorting at the same time with Justin.

 

“They can’t get Lindsay to do what they want.” Brian told him.

 

“That’s what your lawyer told me. I think they thought I’d be awed by them, since they were higher on the social scale than me.” Craig told them.

 

“There was a time when I would have agreed with them.” Justin told him.

 

“I just didn’t understand this.” Craig said, waving awkwardly between Brian and Justin.

 

“It still doesn’t look like you do.” Brian told him.

 

“I don’t, but I’ve already lost enough to know I don’t need to understand it. I stayed away when Molly told me you were back, but I want you to know I did keep up with you. No matter how big of a disappointment I was to you, and in turn, my perceived disappoint in you, you were still my son.” Craig told him.

 

“I can’t change. So I guess we’re still in the same place we were when I left.” Justin told him.

 

“I want to try as best I can. I have a baby on the way with my girlfriend. She’s asked me what I’d do if the baby wasn’t perfect, adding if it was gay, because she knew it was what caused our problems. Something she only brought up after Mel called me and I told her about you.” Craig told him.

 

“What did you tell her?” Justin asked.

 

“I avoided the possibility of the baby being gay, and said we’d do what the baby needed to be happy. She asked again if it would matter to me if the baby was gay, and let me know if it did, then she would happily raise the child without me. I realized the cost of what I did to you, would cost me another child. I don’t want to be that father.” Craig told him.

 

“What do you want?” Brian asked.

 

“To find a way to bridge the gap I caused by not loving you enough to tell you I didn’t care. I can’t ever say I’ll be comfortable with this, but I’ll do what I can to not make it the reason we don’t talk again for five more years. I want my newest child to know the brother Molly loves, even when I tried to get her to stop loving him. I want to be as strong as Justin was for not letting what I did stop him from becoming what he wanted to be. I know we can’t repair the damage in a day, or even soon, but I now know I was wrong and I can at least tell you, I still loved you.” Craig told them.

 

“Will you still love me now that I love Brian? Now that I see my future with him and our son?” Justin asked.

 

“I will. Even if you’ve already given up on me. I’ll be waiting if you decide I’m worth bothering with after what I did, not just to you, but to your mother and Molly.” Craig told him, getting up and heading to the door.

 

“Brian and I are leaving here tomorrow, but when I’m ready I’ll call you.” Justin told him, as Craig nodded, leaving.

 

Brian dragged Justin off the couch and laid down next to him in bed, letting Justin absorb the fact that Craig was trying.

 

“I don’t know if it’s enough.” Justin told him.

 

“You said you love me.” Brian said, still wanting to hear it.

 

“I didn’t want to believe I could love someone that fast, but I did with Gus. So maybe for me, it’s just the way I’m built.” Justin told him.

 

“I didn’t want to believe I could love anyone, so for me, it must just be you.” Brian told him.

 

“It’s just you then. Your mine.” Justin told him, pulling off the robe.

 

Chapter 19 by starlight

Emmett showed up first thing in the morning after Ted told him Brian was planning to leave earlier. He’d been so wrapped up in Reese that he didn’t think about anything else, and for some reason felt guilty. Ted rolled his eyes and told him there was nothing to feel guilty about since Brian was pretty much wrapped up in Gus and Justin. Justin was off to get Gus, while Brian packed the things he would need until Cynthia had his other things sent or put in storage. Justin told Brian they lived in a relatively normal house, and that there were two rooms Justin had used for storage but they could be cleaned out for anything Brian wanted to bring with him. Emmett found Brian looking around the loft as if it wasn’t the showplace he was once proud of.

 

“Ted said you planned to move everything out,” Emmett said when Brian hadn’t said much.

 

“I’m moving on to a new life. Why leave my old life as if it’s waiting for me to come back?” Brian answered.

 

“At least part of your old life can come and visit. You know, to remember what an asshole you can be.” Emmett told him.

 

“I’ll make sure to dial up the charming asshole you know when you visit,” Brian told him.

 

“Need any help?” Emmett asked.

 

“Watch over Deb and Ted for me. Blake doesn’t need Ted being too busy to remember him. If Deb needs anything, call me and we’ll figure out how to help her without her figuring out we are.” Brian told him.

 

“Reese and I plan to visit often. I want to get to know my nephew.” Emmett told him.

 

“It seems not only am I working fast but so are you,” Brian commented.

 

“He gets me. For once it’s like there are no games I have to play.” Emmett told him.

 

“You never should’ve had to play games. That’s something I’m learning from Justin and Gus. Call me when you finally realize you want to do something with your talents.” Brian told him.

 

“Honey, we agreed to only be friends, since anything else would have me killing you,” Emmett answered jokingly.

 

“Emmett, people are waiting for you to hang a shingle on your door, instead of renting yourself out when someone shows up,” Brian told him.

 

“You can’t help trying to take care of everyone can you?” Emmett asked.

 

“Isn’t that what you and Ted were doing for me all this time? Both of you encouraged me to keep looking for my child. Not once did either of you make it sound like wanting to be a father to him or her was something I couldn’t do. And I know being the premier party planner is something you can do if you want it enough.” Brian told him.

 

“Reese seems to agree with you,” Emmett told him.

 

“Reese was always a good guy, and apparently a good judge of character. He had to be to see the Emmett I know.” Brian told his friend.

 

“I need you to go back to being your snarky self, cause otherwise, I might hug you,” Emmett told him.

 

“Jesus Honeycutt, you’re acting like a girl,” Brian said, making Emmett laugh.

 

“Don’t call me Honeycutt, Kinney,” Emmett said, pulling Brian into a hug. “Call once a week so I know Justin hasn’t killed you,” Emmett told him, backing off.

 

“Yes, Mother. I’ll make sure to keep you in the loop of all the gossip in Chicago too.” Brian answered.

 

“Are you going to tell Deb about Gus?” Emmett asked.

 

“I called her to come over before we left today. She needs to know where I’m going and to be ready to deal with Michael when he figures it out.” Brian told him.

 

“She loves you and will be happy for you. I’ll try to help with Michael, even though Reese thinks we should just shove him into oncoming traffic. Since you’re not leaving until Deb gets here, I’ll stick around to make sure she doesn’t try to hug you to death in order to keep you here.” Emmett laughed.

 

Justin had taken Gus over to say goodbye to Aunt Daphne, and to make sure she knew he planned to visit more now. His mother was concerned about Craig’s talk but told Justin she really thought he was sincere in wanting to work on having a relationship with him. So, after seeing Daphne, Justin brought Gus to meet his grandfather. Craig was busy as usual, dealing with customers and rearranging parts of the store. In the past, Justin would have to wait until his father had time for him, but Craig handed off the customer he was helping and led Justin and Gus to his office.

 

“I didn’t expect you to come this soon,” Craig said, sitting down.

 

“Brian and I are leaving to go back to Chicago this afternoon. I wanted Gus to meet his grandfather before we left.” Justin told him.

 

“Yous Dada’s Dada?” Gus asked.

 

“Yes… and that would make me your grandfather young man.” Craig said, clearing his throat several times.

 

“I nevers had a grandfather. Whats you do?” Gus asked.

 

“When your dada was as young as you, I’d read him bedtime stories, get rid of the monsters in his closet, and play anything he wanted to,” Craig told Gus.

 

“Is that why Dada does it for me, cause yous showed him?” Gus asked, walking around the desk and climbing on Craig’s lap.

 

“I guess I taught him something good since he does it for you,” Craig told him.

 

“Him and Daddy do everything for me, but theys be willing to let you help,” Gus told him, kissing his cheek.

 

“I’d like that. And when my new son comes, maybe you could help me, since I’m rusty at the things I once did for your dada.” Craig told him, falling under Gus’s spell.

 

“Can we?” Gus asked Justin.

 

“If you want, you can come to visit with your girlfriend. Mom says she’s really a nice woman.” Justin told his father.

 

“Cara and I will make plans to do that. Just let me know when you and Brian think it’s convenient.” Craig told him. “Gus, would you mind if I talked to your dada alone, my assistant can show you around the store?” Craig asked both Justin and Gus. 

 

Craig called in his assistant and told him to show his grandson around for a few minutes. Gus walked off, announcing he had a grandfather, and Craig took a few deep breaths at Gus’s excitement over him.

 

“I could’ve lost that too,” Craig said, knowing he was done losing everything because he couldn’t accept Justin.

 

“What did you want to talk about?” Justin asked.

 

“This situation with the Petersons. If you need me to help in any way to keep Gus away from that family, tell me. Between you, me, your mother, and… Brian, they won’t know what hit them. I called Mel again and she explained a little more about Lindsay to me. It could be a problem if she can make a judge believe she’s changed. I got the feeling she was playing with me, in hopes of finding something to use to get what she wants from you.” Craig told him.

 

“I don’t know why she’d think there’s anything to gain since she isn’t the kind of mother I want Gus around. The only thing I can come up with is that she wants to control her life, and thinks I’ll be like I was when she met me, doing anything she wanted just to spend time with Gus. She had control of any time Gus and I spent together until she left. When I found out she put me down as the father, I sued for sole custody. Which meant I no longer had to do anything for her in order to keep Gus. I think she thought eventually she could come back and take over again.” Justin told his father.

 

“She didn’t just think it, she’s trying to. I just don’t get why the Peterson’s are trying to help her when they disowned her the way I…” Craig answered, stopping because he didn’t want to say what he had done.

 

“She married someone they would die to have in their circle. Money changes everything.” Justin told him.

 

“What you have could make up for Lindsay screwing up with Randolph. Your mother’s father is enough of a connection to them. Only your grandfather would have taken one look at them and turned his back on them. One thing they seem to be worried about is Brian. Which means they know they can’t control him, any better than they can control their daughter.” Craig told Justin.

 

“Brian doesn’t care about anything but what’s best for Gus. Although, from listening to an old friend of Brian’s, it sounds like they all are hoping that he will eventually get tired of being a father and then they can get what they want.” Justin told him.

 

“I wonder why Lindsay used Brian to get pregnant if she wanted to control the situation. From everything I heard from Mel, the Petersons, and your mother, Brian is his own man. And he’s like you in that he doesn’t let anyone tell him what to do. Lindsay wouldn’t be able to get him to do what she wanted, and she had to know that.” Craig told him.

 

“If she had kept Gus, I think Brian would have done anything she wanted him to. Only she didn’t, which was her mistake. But then maybe she never thought Brian and I would meet. Which we wouldn’t have since when she knew me I barely left my apartment. Only, I started my comic and doing the conventions. Then I wanted to see Daphne and came here.” Justin told him.

 

“Once you did, she showed up.” Craig pointed out.

 

“Brian figured out there was someone working for him who was feeding her information. She fooled the guy into believing she was protecting Gus from Brian. Although… shit. How did Michael know Brian had custody?” Justin said, getting up. “I need to go. I didn’t think to tell Brian about Michael’s visit, we sort of got... distracted.” Justin told him, laughing at his father trying not to cringe at what distracted Justin.

 

“I get it since Cara does the same thing.” Craig joked.

 

“You win,” Justin told him, not even hiding the shiver at the thought of his father’s love life.

 

Craig went with Justin to find Gus, who was playing a video game and he once again had to stop another person from trying to give Gus everything when his father suggested sending them off with the system. 

 

When he got back to the loft, he didn’t get a chance to tell Brian about Michael, since Michael’s mother was there telling Brian she didn’t want him to move away. Gus looked up at Justin and went over to Deb, yanking on her shirt. She looked down into his big eyes and then to Brian.

 

“He looks exactly like you,” Deb said, crying.

 

“Whys you crying?” Gus asked her.

 

“I don’t want to lose my son,” Deb told him.

 

“Who?” Gus asked.

 

“Your daddy,” Justin told him.

 

“Whys you lose him?” Gus asked.

 

“Miss Deb thinks if she can’t see us every day, she loses us,” Emmett explained to Gus.

 

“But I need my daddy too. I wants my friends to see he’s mine.” Gus told her.

 

“Then I guess we have to share him, don’t we?” Deb told him.

 

“If he’s your son, does that mean you’re mine now?” Gus asked.

 

“I’d love to be yours,” Deb told Gus, tearing up again.

 

“How about lunch before Deb floods the room?” Emmett asked, wiping a tear.

 

“Have you told Michael you’re leaving?” Deb asked Brian.

 

“For now I really need the time to get settled with Justin and I’m going to be busy. I don’t have time to argue with Michael about it.” Brian told her.

 

“It’s better for everyone if Michael doesn’t know what’s going on,” Emmett told her.

 

“I hate it but I know you’re right. It’s not like he has anything to do, and would likely follow you. His store is in a lot of trouble right now.” Deb told them.

 

“I told him that what he was doing was a bad idea. He just expected Justin to appear because he wanted him to.” Emmett told her.

 

“I hate that people felt duped by me,” Justin told her.

 

“I sold all his collectibles and put the money in the account Ted set up for the shop. It’s enough to get the store redone and set up to open again. As strange as it sounds, I sort of like running the shop, not that I get half of what the kids are talking about. Will pretty much takes over that part for me, but the kids are fun.” Deb told them.

 

“You can’t run it for Michael, you already work too hard at the diner,” Brian told her.

 

“I don’t want Michael to lose it,” Deb answered.

 

“He already lost it, if you and Will are the ones running it.” Brian pointed out.

 

“The money Will managed to make off the collectibles surprised me, since Michael never seemed to have any money,” Deb told them.

 

“The collectibles are why Michael didn’t have any money,” Emmett told her.

 

“I don’t feel right keeping the money, it’s Michael’s,” Deb told them.

 

“Then give it to him and let him fail if that’s what he wants to do. We talked about this Deb. He needs to start dealing with his life, not letting you do it for him.” Brian reminded her.

 

“What do you think?” Deb asked Justin.

 

“I really don’t know him well enough to tell you anything,” Justin told her, but then decided that maybe she should hear what he needed to tell Brian. “When he showed up here yesterday…”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Brian interrupted.

 

“I forgot since you were more interesting at the time. But when he showed up he acted like he was here to give me advice on how to deal with you. He told me not to expect anything from you, and that eventually, you’d get bored with our plans. It got really confusing because he seemed to think eventually the things that would bore you with me, you’d want with him. I didn’t catch it at first, but he knew you have custody of Gus. Which we didn’t announce, so how does he know that?” Justin asked.

 

“Lindsay?” Emmett said, looking at Brian.

 

“He can’t stand her. But they would ban together if it got them something.” Brian told him.

 

“What would Lindsay get? Michael we all know wants Brian.” Deb asked.

 

“She wants Brian back in her life when you think about it,” Emmett told them.

 

“But she’s trying to involve Justin,” Brian commented.

 

“I would too because you’re doing things you never did before, for him and Gus,” Emmett told him.

 

“Being in love with Justin, you mean,” Brian said, without caring that anyone heard it.

 

“Call me, and make sure I know you’re okay,” Deb told him.

 

“I promise,” Brian replied.

 

“I’ll clean up and lock up, you two need to get going.” Emmett told Brian.

 

“We goes home?” Gus asked.

 

“Yes, we are.” Brian told Gus. 

 

“Emmett, can you tell Reese about everything?” Brian asked.

 

“I’ll do it, and try not to get distracted.” Emmett smirked.

 

“We’ll go see him. And I want to know everything so I can help.” Deb told Brian.

 

“Michael, at least wasn’t involved knowingly, Deb.” Brian tells her.

 

“But it sounds like he is now. And if Lindsay thinks I’ll sit back while she tries to mess with my boys, she’s forgotten who I am.” Deb told them.

 

Brian took one last look around as Justin took most of the suitcases down to the car. Gus grabbed his new soccer ball and hugged Deb and Emmett, waiting for Brian to suffer through goodbyes that he thought were a bit too much, when he’d be back on and off.

 

“I’m happy you didn’t let anything get in your way.” Deb told him.

 

“I never have. I’ll be back, so you can let go.” Brian teased.

 

“Asshole.” Deb said, kissing his cheek.

 

Brian walked over to Gus, looking back one more time, smirking at Deb and Emmett before following Gus down the stairs.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by starlight

 

 

Deb helped Will clean out the store since Michael had left it the way it was when the riot tore it apart. Michael hadn’t even bothered to show up to help. She needed to talk to him, and the three days of cleaning up the mess gave her time to decide what to do. And it wasn’t to run the shop for Michael. But she didn’t want Will to be out of a job either. Emmett offered Will a job at Deb’s request and that made it easier for her to just hand Michael everything and hope for once her son would do what he should. Even if it was just wishful thinking on Deb's part.

 

They were taking out the last of the trash when Michael came in, irritated, not even noticing that everything was cleaned up. Deb didn’t let her feelings for her son get in the way. Instead, she listened and remembered what Brian had said to her.

 

“I have the money from the collectibles in an account for you. The store is clean and ready if you want to get it set up.” Deb told him, writing down the information Michael needed.

 

“At least I can buy back what I can find. I should call Brian to help me get everything I need for the shop.” Michael told her.

 

“I’m quitting,” Will told him.

 

“You can’t. I’ll even give you a raise since I won’t have time to help get the store ready. I have a feeling a friend is going to realize he needs me to be there for him.” Michael told him.

 

“I don’t want to work for you. And I doubt you’ll get enough customers anyway, after what happened the other night.” Will answered.

 

“I already made sure they knew it wasn’t us, but Justin,” Michael told him.

 

Deb chewed on her gum, not saying anything since nothing got through to Michael. She even put away the broom before she swatted Michael with it, and grabbed her bag to leave.

 

“I told people the truth. Justin Cole had never agreed to do anything. The kids needed to know that the author didn’t let them down, you did.” Will told Michael.

 

“Well, he could have made them happy by showing up like I wanted him to. But at least now he’s doing the right thing.” Michael said, smiling.

 

“Where have you been?” Deb asked since she knew Michael wouldn’t be smiling if he knew Brian was gone.

 

“I got some good news, so I wanted to make some plans. It’s why Will needs to stay, I’m going to be busy.” Michael said as if his demanding it would change Will’s mind about quitting on him.

 

“Sorry, but I agreed to start at my new job as soon as I finished helping Deb clean up this mess. Something you should have been doing, not her.” Will said, leaving and shaking his head.

 

The last couple of days had made Deb really take a look at her own son, and at the men that once helped her with Michael. She was seeing the differences that made them men, and her son still a child, wishing for things and not able to see the difference between reality and fantasy. With Brian out of Michael’s reach, she decided it was time for Michael to hear that his fantasy had left to live the life Michael ruined relationships over, wanting it with Brian.

 

“I can hire someone else then. I’m going to need time for other things than the shop anyway.” Michael said happily.

 

“He left Michael,” Deb announced.

 

“I know. I talked to him and told him he was wasting his time and to move on. While I take care of things the way Brian expects me to.” Michael told her.

 

“Was letting Lindsay tell you things about Brian one of the things Brian expected too?” Deb asked.

 

“What are you talking about?” Michael said, not looking at Deb.

 

“Look at me and tell me why you would have anything to do with Lindsay?” Deb asked.

 

“She called me... I didn’t go to her. She just told me about Justin and the kid. Brian never wanted to be a father.” Michael answered his mother.

 

“He must have changed his mind since he packed up and moved to be with GUS and Justin,” Deb told him.

 

“Shit. I need to talk to him. He did what he needed to do to get the kid… Gus. I planned to help him.” Michael told her proudly.

 

“Help him do what? Raise Gus? He doesn’t want your help. And it’s time you accept that he doesn’t want you either. What you want isn’t what he wanted. He isn’t going to love you the way you wish he would. He figured it out, now it’s time for you to do the same.” Deb told him.

 

“I have to stop him,” Michael said, running out of his shop.

 

Deb turned off the lights to the store, locked the door and left. She went home to wait for Michael to see that it was too late for him to stop Brian from moving on with his life. 

 

Michael got a cab and went straight to the loft. Someone was coming out the front door and let him in since they’d seen him come and go. He got to the loft door and banged on it, trying to open it when Brian didn’t answer. He slid to the floor, willing to wait for Brian to show up. Determined to stop Brian before he made the biggest mistake of their lives. 

 

Reese was on the phone talking to some of his guys when Emmett got the call from Deb, letting him know Michael was told about Brian and that he left. Most likely thinking he could stop Brian since he ran out as if the man was still around.

 

“You didn’t tell him Brian left days ago?” Emmett asked.

 

“I think Michael needs to see it to believe it,” Deb said, sounding worn out.

 

“Should I open the door? The loft being empty isn’t something he can explain away.” Emmett asked her.

 

“Michael?” Reese asked.

 

“Deb told him,” Emmett answered.

 

“You want me to go with you?” Reese asked.

 

“I think it might be better if Ted and Blake came with me. Michael isn’t going to listen to anything with you around.” Emmett told him. Kissing Reese as he called Teddy and Blake.

 

Ted and Blake were waiting when Emmett pulled up in front of the loft building. They all entered together and found Michael sitting in front of the door, watching them as they walked up the stairs. Michael was looking behind them as if Brian would be there if he looked anywhere but at the three of them. Blake walked over and pulled Michael up, shaking his head when Michael started to protest at moving.

 

“You are going to face this and stop living in the land of denial,” Blake told him as Emmett unlocked the loft door.

 

Blake let go of Michael and he rushed into the loft, only to stop and stare at the empty space. Normally Blake was the last one to have any sympathy where Michael was concerned, but seeing the lost look on his face wasn’t easy, even for Blake. The sympathy ended with the first words out of Michael’s mouth.

 

“Justin used the kid to make Brian do this. Ted, you get him on the phone and tell him he owes it to me to come back right now.” Michael demanded.

 

“You owe it to Brian to let him do what makes him happy. He spent his life doing it for all of us, now it’s his fucking turn Michael. He spent years looking for Gus, not saying anything to you because you wouldn’t have been sharing in Brian’s happiness to find Gus. Instead, you’d be telling him he shouldn’t be anyone's father. He included Emmett, Blake, and me, for one reason; we encouraged him, something his best friend couldn’t be depended on to do for him.” Ted said before Blake could say anything.

 

“He didn’t need to leave with Justin, he already had the… Gus.” Michael spit out, clearly annoyed. “I was going to show him, we could raise Gus together,” Michael told them.

 

“He is with the person he wants to raise his son with, and it’s not you. Michael, we want to help you.” Emmett said as Blake coughed, trying not laugh.

 

“Then make Brian talk to me. He doesn’t need Justin… when did they even have time to…”

 Michael stared at Ted and Emmett for answers.

 

“Maybe you need to think about that. It didn’t take Brian years to see what he was looking for, in Justin. Which means he knew years ago exactly what he saw when he looked at you.” Blake told him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Justin was trying not to laugh as the mothers all were waiting when Brian and Gus got to the park. Brian wanted to spend as much time as possible doing things Gus wanted to do before he had to start working. Cynthia stayed with them in Chicago, telling Brian she’d have the office finished faster if he stayed out of the way. Gus wanted to play soccer with Brian, so they were back at the park again, which thrilled the women from the day before, hoping for another glimpse of Brian’s abs. 

 

Justin didn’t let it worry him that Brian moved in with them and it felt like he belonged with them. The first morning it was strange to wake up in his bed with Brian wrapped around him, but only because he’d never slept with anyone in his bed. Mel called Brian earlier, letting him know that Lindsay had been served with the paperwork for the adoption, but so far hadn’t responded. She also turned over all the information she had about Lindsay, saying the Peterson’s weren’t going to be able to hide the things Lindsay was doing. They were now just waiting. But as Brian said, he and Justin weren’t going to put what they were doing on hold while they waited. 

 

It felt different for Brian, being in a town where his past wasn’t following him around every corner. He woke up for the last three days only being Gus’s Daddy and having the feeling of Justin in his arms. They spent part of each day at the park, and then the rest looking around the city together. It was different because for once, he didn’t have everyone calling him to handle everything for them. It felt like he’d found his home. 

 

Gus and the kids ran to get drinks. So Brian followed Gus and grabbed the water Justin was holding for him. He tried not to laugh too hard when Gus’s friend Robby repeated something he heard his mother say to the other mothers.

 

“My mommy says you hot, and shoulds take off your shirt,” Robby told him seriously, while Justin bit his lip to hold back his laugh.

 

“Are yous hot Daddy?” Gus asked.

 

Brian looked at Justin as his eyes sparkled with laughter. “I don’t know. What do you think Justin, am I hot?” Brian asked.

 

“My mommy says so, right Mr Justin?” Robby asked.

 

“If your mother says it, then yes, I guess he is hot,” Justin told Robby, looking Brian over from head to toe.

 

“Keep it up and I’m not responsible for what I do to you later,” Brian told the blond, leaning in and whispering it in his ear.

 

 

 

Chapter 21 by starlight

Brian moved Justin over until he was back on his own pillow. He needed to get up since he had a full day of meetings with clients. He debated laying there as he had for the last week, waiting for Justin to wake up and for them to start their day. Unfortunately, he couldn’t, since Ted would be there for the meetings that interrupted the vacation he’d been taking to spend time with Justin and Gus. Cynthia and her husband had talked and were going to look for a place in Chicago, because she wanted to be where Brian was, and her husband Mark was happy to put in a transfer to a hospital in Chicago. Mark didn’t care where they lived as long as Cynthia was happy, and Brian realized that he and Mark had something in common, going where their partners were so they could be happy. 

 

This was the first time Brian hadn’t looked forward to going to work. It wasn’t that he didn’t relish the challenge a new city would bring, just the idea of Gus and Justin doing things without him. He thought about what Mikey said to Justin, that eventually, he’d want the life back that he’d left in Pittsburgh. Brian didn’t see that happening, because being here meant his life was new, without the expectations his reputation caused. 

 

He planned to meet Justin and Gus at the park for lunch since he knew he was in for a long day. For Brian, it was different in that he set aside two hours to spend with his family, in the past nothing mattered but work. 

 

After getting dressed, Brian smiled when he got to the kitchen and found Gus sitting there waiting for him. He started the toast and coffee, getting milk out for Gus and trying not to laugh at how normal this all seemed after only being here for two weeks.

 

“Yous gots to go to work, Robby’s mommy will be sad,” Gus told his father, smiling when Brian made him toast just like his.

 

“I’ll be at the park when you and Dada get there, but I have to go back to work, so I can’t play and get dirty today,” Brian told Gus.

 

“Dada and I will gets you my snacks,” Gus told Brian, nodding.

 

Justin came in yawning, kissing Gus’s head and pouring coffee for himself and Brian. Justin didn’t even try to make Brian’s sugar infested coffee, just handed Brian the sugar as he sat down.

 

“Gus, Mark, and I are going to look around for a place for him and Cynthia, but we’ll be at the park in time to meet you,” Justin told Brian.

 

“Yes Dear.” Brian joked.

 

“Well Dear, my publisher would like us to have dinner with her tonight, but it sounds like you’ll be busy, so if Gus and I aren’t here when you get back that’s where we’ll be,” Justin told him.

 

“What time?” Brian asked.

 

“Since Gus will be there we decided on six. We should be home by eight or nine.” Justin told him.

 

Brian looked through his appointments that Cynthia sent to his phone, deciding that he and Ted could discuss business while eating with Justin and Gus.

 

“If you don’t mind if Ted comes, I can be there,” Brian told him.

 

“You don’t have to change what you need to do,” Justin answered.

 

“I won’t let work take my time from either of you. Ted and I can talk over dinner, and I can meet your publisher and see what she wants to use Kinnetik for unless you need to talk business with her first.” Brian told him.

 

“She just likes to know how everything went at the convention, and she’s curious about you. Normally we meet as soon as I get back, but I’ve been busy.” Justin said, kissing him.

 

Brian went to his new office, feeling the same way he felt when he opened Kinnetik in Pittsburgh. Only now when he celebrated, it was going to be with his new family.

 

Gus was running around with Robby after spending the morning with Justin and Mark looking at houses. Mark was going to pick up Cynthia for lunch and show her the three that met the requirements she told him she wanted. Justin was unpacking lunch for Gus when a shadow stood over him. Looking up he started to smile, thinking Brian showed up early. Instead, it was Lindsay, standing there looking at Gus.

 

“What are you doing here?” Justin asked, wanting nothing more than to get Gus and leave.

 

“I wanted to talk to you. Until today you haven't been alone.” She told him. 

 

“Talk all you want, but it won't get you anywhere.” He told her.

 

“Maybe not, or maybe you’ll get that I only want the best for you.” She commented.

 

“Why? You don’t know me, and I honestly don’t want to know you. Even if anything you said would get through to me, it wouldn’t get you anything.” He told her.

 

“Why did you do it, leave everything to Gus? With what you have you could have the kind of life most people only wish they could live. No one could tell you what to do or how to live your life.” She asked him.

 

“That life gets lonely when at the end of the day there is no one but yourself. I want the life I’ve made with Gus, it was what I dreamed of all my life.” He told her.

 

“I wanted so many things…” She whispered, staring at Gus.

 

“But left when it wasn’t enough. You can’t come back and use Gus to get what you want. He needs to know the people around him love him and will always be there for him. He doesn’t even know to ask about you.” He tells her.

 

“What did you tell him about me?” She asked.

 

“That you were the reason I got him as my son, nothing more. He doesn’t need to know you walked away on his first birthday, though I doubt you even knew it was his birthday.” Justin told her.

 

“I… needed to find myself again, and he was happier when he was with you. It hurt every time he cried to get away from me. Why did he love someone other than me?” She asked, shaking her head before changing the subject. “That wasn’t why I wanted to talk to you.” 

 

“The only reason to talk to me as far as I’m concerned is about Gus. Brian and what we’re doing is off limits. Nothing you say about him will work on me, because he didn’t walk away from the person that means the most in my life.” He told her.

 

Lindsay stared at Justin, trying to figure out how he got Brian to break all of his rules. And even then, Brian didn’t turn his back on Justin. How did this simple guy manage to get everything she couldn’t in life? Why, when Lindsay tried to give Brian a baby, did he just throw her out of his life? But for Justin, Brian changed his life into the life he denied Lindsay. Everything Justin did gave him everything, and everything she did left her alone, still depending on others for everything she had in life.

 

“There is only one thing I want to hear from you, and that is that you’ll let Brian and I do what we want for Gus. Why would you fight for him when you don’t really want him?” Justin asked.

 

“Brian doesn’t get to have everything he wants when he turned his back on it just because it was with me. What is it about you that makes Gus okay to Brian?” Lindsay asked.

 

“Brian wanting Gus has nothing to do with me. Him not wanting a baby from you has everything to do with you. You ignored that he said no, then went ahead like a rapist and took what he didn’t want to give you. He didn’t hate the baby, he hated being violated because you couldn’t take no for an answer. It had nothing to do with the innocent baby, and everything to do with how his son, who Brian loves above everything else, came into existence. Why did you do that to him, when you were supposed to be one of his best friends?” Justin asked.

 

“I was the only best friend he had. Look at Michael…”

 

“This isn’t about anyone but you. You came here for a reason, and I’ll listen to it only if you answer how you could do what you did, not only to Brian but to Gus. I need to know how to tell him about you one day in a way that won’t have him questioning why he wasn’t enough for you.” Justin said, noticing Brian standing behind Lindsay.

 

“I left Pittsburgh to protect him.” She told Justin.

 

“From what?” Brian asked, angry.

 

“Everyone. You, my family, and fucking Michael. You, because of the kind of father would you have been. My family because their solution was to give MY BABY to Lynette, going on and on about how special the baby was because Lynnette would raise it. According to them, the baby was an unfortunate mistake, until Lynette was suddenly the mother. The baby wasn’t good enough until they saw it as a way to give Lynette what she wanted. I refused to let you raise it when you let Michael treat me the way he did since he couldn’t give you what I could. The only good thing about all of this is that for once Michael is finally being thrown aside by you, the way you did to me.” Lindsay ranted.

 

“Is that why Lynette didn’t press charges, because she paid you to give her Gus?” Brian asked, reading what Lindsay didn’t say.

 

“She didn’t press charges because she gave me the money,” Lindsay told him.

 

“Why are you here?” Brian asked, wanting her gone.

 

“Because you want me to disappear and let you have what you didn’t want with me. I gave you everything, but you threw me away.” Lindsay answered.

 

“You fucked me over. Not just by getting pregnant, but by lying to everyone about it. Did I want the baby you were carrying? No, I didn’t, but that didn’t matter to you. The only thing that mattered was that Lindsay got what she wanted.” Brian said, sitting next to Justin, grabbing his hand before continuing, keeping his voice low. “I want you to listen to this next part, are you listening? I didn’t want my life to change just because Lindsay wanted something. Only it did change, in a way you wouldn’t understand. The baby was important to me. I wanted the baby because none of it was his fault. He wasn’t some game piece on a chess board, the way you saw him. That’s why I turned my back on you when you expected me to fall in line with what you wanted. The only thing you did right in my eyes was leaving him with Justin. Do you want to know why what I didn’t want with you I do with Justin? Because he loved a child that was only his through love. He gave Gus the life neither of us ever had. For once I can say you and I have our selfishness in common. I won’t walk away from Justin and Gus, even if it’s the only way to get you out of their lives.” Brian told her.

 

Lindsay reeled in shock looking first at Justin, then to Brian. “You love him…” She said, shaking her head, not believing it was a possibility.

 

“And I’ll make sure there’s nothing you can hide from the world in order to keep him and Gus,” Brian told her.

 

Chapter 22 by starlight

 

Justin assured Brian that if Lindsay showed up again, he’d call. She didn’t go near Gus as she left and Brian didn’t relax until she was driving away from the park. For Gus, Brian acted like today was like all the other days they spent at the park. He was happy that Gus didn’t even ask who they’d been talking to. He knew Justin didn’t want to lie to Gus, but explaining Lindsay wasn’t something either of them wanted to do either.

 

It wasn’t until Brian put Gus in the car and watched Justin drive off that he dropped the smile he’d kept on his face for Gus. He needed to call Reese and find out why no one told him Lindsay had managed to be anywhere near them without being told she was in Chicago. 

 

“She got on a plane to Texas and got off in Texas. My guys followed her, but Lindsay lost them. We checked, but she didn’t buy another ticket or even use any way that would let us find her. Her family closed ranks, and truthfully I don’t think they even know what she’s doing. Randolph isn’t helping either, he paid her off to go away. I’m sorry we didn’t figure out she was there before you did, but I’ll be there as soon as I can with a couple of people to look for her.” Reese told him.

 

“It might be better to keep her busy while we wait for Gus’s adoption to go through in Pittsburgh. If she’s here, she can’t be there too.” Brian told him.

 

“You risk her being able to interact with Gus,” Reese warned.

 

“She could have today, but she ignored him. She was more interested in why Justin got what she couldn’t from me.” Brian told him.

 

Sandi was waiting at the restaurant and Justin tried not to laugh when she saw Brian enter. He was really breathtaking, something looking around, no one missed. Brian barely paid attention, only looking for Justin and Gus. 

 

“His pictures don’t really do him justice. I’m officially jealous. You leave and come back with that.” Sandi joked.

 

Gus turned to see what they were looking at and jumped out of his chair to get to Brian. Brian caught him and melted all the eyes as he and Gus leaned their heads together and Brian listened to his son. Justin fell in love more than he already was, because the man was everything he wanted to complete the family he started with Gus. Brian leaned down and kissed Justin, then let Gus do the same before taking his seat. Sandi sighed, then smiled when Ted sat next to her.

 

“Brian, Ted, my publisher Sandi.” Justin introduced everyone. 

 

“It’s nice to meet both of you. I’ve heard good things about Kinnetik. Although this one didn’t mention anything about you until he told me you were moving here with him and Gus.” Sandi said, winking at Justin.

 

“I wanted to be where my son and Justin were, and it was time to branch out, offer clients fresh ideas, so they don’t end up stagnating,” Brian told her.

 

“It’s why I called. We reach a lot of people through word of mouth. In the writing industry, it works best. We still need to reach more people, who sometimes wait because the ads aren’t creating excitement about a new author. Take someone like Justin, he has a following that grows without needing more. His name is enough to sell his work before he even finishes his next installment. I need to create that for the newer authors.” Sandi told them.

 

“What are your problems with the firm you use?” Brian asked.

 

“They have one formula and seem to apply it to every campaign,” Sandi told him.

 

“Which Kinnetik doesn’t. Brian caters to the needs of the client, and each campaign is run to fit the client, not a formula.” Ted told her.

 

“It’s why Kinnetik, Chicago, already is on everyone’s lips. I’m shamelessly using Justin in hopes to get in before you don’t have time for me.” Sandi told him.

 

“I’ll let you. Because I have no problem with doing something if Justin wants me too.” Brain told her.

 

Brian let Ted take over, only really wanting to have dinner with Gus and Justin. Ted followed them to Justin’s house, letting Brian put Gus to bed before he was ready to talk about what was pissing him off all day. Brian hid it well while they were dealing with potential clients, but Ted knew Brian and also knew to wait until business was done to bring anything up. Justin came out after changing and brought drinks before sitting with them. Ted smiled at how comfortable the two of them were with each other, almost as if they been together for years and not barely a month. 

 

“What happened? You left in a good mood then returned from lunch in a different mood.” Ted asked.

 

“I found Lindsay with Justin,” Brian said, not needing to explain anything else to Ted.

 

“You didn’t expect her to leave it alone. None of us did.” Ted told him.

 

“No, that’s true. And I think we can work this so she doesn’t have time to stop what Justin and I want to do. Keep her busy trying to make Justin think he and Gus would be better off without me in the picture.” Brian told them.

 

“You want me to let her try?” Justin asked.

 

“No. But it will drive her insane having to see me give you everything she thinks she should have.” Brian told him.

 

“She wants the house, the kids, the dogs, and the money to make everyone sit up and kiss her ass for her time. It’s about showing people they shouldn’t have dismissed her. Which they likely did when her parents turned their backs on her.” Justin said, thinking about the way people in his parent's circles were like vultures.

 

“Lindsay probably thinks Justin would be able to understand it since he came from the same kind of life,” Ted told them.

 

“Only I never really cared for the approval, and don’t want to be around people who really only bother with you if it does something for them,” Justin told them.

 

“I found out why Lynette never pressed charges,” Brian said, not really needing to analyze Lindsay’s motives, they were simple greed.

 

“I’m assuming it wasn’t to avoid scandal?” Ted asked.

 

“Yes, it was. Because buying a kid would look worse.” Brian told him.

 

“She was paying Lindsay for Gus?” Ted asked, not even really surprised.

 

“Only they made the mistake of dismissing Lindsay as Justin said. They treated Lindsay being a mother as another problem, but Lynette being the mother as if she was the one bringing a bundle of joy the Petersons could be proud of.” Brian told Ted.

 

“And stay hidden? They wouldn’t have allowed that, think about it. Lindsay was a bomb that could rock their world if they were left without a way to keep tabs on her. She was restless, almost like she was always looking over her shoulder. I didn’t really think much about it at the time.” Justin told them.

 

“You only cared about Gus,” Brian commented.

 

“I thought it was more about not wanting to be tied down raising Gus. It was like she didn’t know what to do with a baby.” Justin told him.

 

“How could she? Her whole life she was raised by nannies who took care of the messy side of children. Lindsay used to complain about how Lynette got the attention of everyone.” Brian told him.

 

“Except you, Lynette irritated you,” Ted mentioned.

 

“At one time I loved Lindsay. Not the way she wanted, but as someone who, like me, grew up with a family that didn’t give a shit. I saw in Lynette the same thing I saw in Claire, that they enjoyed feeling superior because our parents doted on them. In my case, my father didn’t take out his anger on her, just me.” Brian told them.

 

Justin leaned his head on Brian’s shoulder, as Brian wrapped his arm around Justin. Neither of them thought about it, but Ted could see the support they gave each other without even knowing they were doing it. Blake did that for Ted, small things meant more than grand gestures.

 

“Everything going okay otherwise?” Brian asked, changing the subject.

 

“Deb’s frustrated, she gave Michael the money. She still lives in hope.” Ted told him.

 

“Has he done anything?” Brian asked, understanding Deb’s hopes.

 

“He seems lost. The day he found out you left, we tried to help him. Blake keeps reminding me that until he asks for help, nothing we do will help him. Understand, Deb didn’t want us to tell you what was going on. She wants you to be happy, and not feel pressured to help her with him. I’m only telling you because you asked about him. He’s partying up a storm as if by doing it you’ll eventually show up. Blake is waiting for him to hit bottom. Even though he really doesn’t like Michael, he can’t help wanting to help.” Ted told him.

 

“Thank him for me,” Brian told Ted.

 

“He told me when you said that to tell you 'thank you' for watching out for me when he couldn’t,” Ted told him.

 

“Theodore, it was the most exciting your life ever got,” Brian said, brushing off that he did anything.

 

“On that note, my old ass is going to bed,” Ted said, wanting to call Blake to say goodnight. 

 

“You ready?” Brian asked Justin, who got up and started heading to the bedroom.

 

Justin looked over his shoulder, “I don’t know. What should we do, since I'm not sleepy at all?"

 

“One of the advantages of youth is that I can still manage on a couple of hours,” Brian said, following Justin to the bedroom.

 

They barely got the door shut before tearing at the clothes that were in their way. Brian pushed Justin onto his back on the bed, kissing down his chest, stopping to suck on one nipple then the other. Justin’s hands ran over Brian’s back, then up to his hair as he continued lower, running his tongue around the head of Justin’s cock. Hissing out a breath when Brian continued to just tease him, Justin’s hands urged Brian to take him into the wet warmth of his mouth. Brian wanted to take Justin to the edge and back again, so he moved further down, to suck one ball then the other, while his thumb pressed against the leaking slit of Justin’s dripping cock. Justin bucked his hips, needing more. Brian moved Justin further up the bed, turning him over and spreading the generous globes that were for Brian’s eyes only. Brian reached over to the drawer for the lube and poured it over his fingers and along Justin’s crease. Brian moved his hands, spreading the cheeks of the blond’s ass before allowing his fingers to circle around the wrinkled opening as Justin moved his hips, trying to get Brian to breach him. Brian almost came as he heard Justin’s moan of pleasure when his thumb teased in and out. 

 

“It’s not enough,” Justin begged.

 

Brian couldn’t wait. He needed to feel the walls of Justin’s ass close around him. Brian loved to feel the ripples as Justin shivered when he hit the right place over and over, and the tightening when Justin’s body reached its peak. Brian added more lube to Justin, and for a minute wished he didn’t need the condom. But in the end, being inside Justin with a condom didn’t diminish that it was the ultimate high. Brian pushed in and Justin slammed back, taking all of Brian at once. Justin loved the burn as much as the pleasure that followed it. He loved that Brian knew how to play his body, that he wanted him to find his release, then prolonged it until Justin wanted to scream it was too much; only to have Brian climax, slamming into the younger man so they both felt him pulse and stimulate Justin even more. 

 

When it was over Justin enjoyed the way their bodies were covered in sweat. The way the room smelled like sex and sin, and that both of them didn’t immediately run to clean it off of themselves. They both seemed to like the idea of having their smells mingle together.

 

 

Chapter 23 by starlight

Cynthia looked up from the lunch she was sharing with her husband and wanted to scream when Lindsay seemed to think it was okay to just pull up a chair. There was absolutely no love lost between them. Lindsay knew exactly how Cynthia felt about her. Mark knew all about Lindsay and the shit she put Brian through and made sure Lindsay knew her attempt at flirting was lost on him.

 

“What do you want?” Cynthia said, wanting to get straight to the point and for Lindsay to be gone.

 

“I just thought we could put aside our problems with each other. We both know Brian can’t really want to settle down and do all the things he used to act as if he would rather be dead than have to do.” Lindsay told her.

 

“Do we? Or is it that you couldn’t figure out that Brian was truly a gay man? Something that was pretty obvious to everyone but you. To him, settling down the way you wanted him to would be a death sentence, unless you’ve grown a dick. Hell, even if you did, you’d be in the same boat as Michael. In the past, no he didn’t want to settle down. But apparently, Justin has the magic formula you don’t.” Cynthia told her.

 

“All Justin has is Gus and enough money to attract attention,” Lindsay commented.

 

“That’s all you can see because otherwise, you would have to admit that even if you kept Gus, Brian wouldn’t have wanted you. Justin gives Brian peace from the bullshit that came with you and Michael. I know, because for years I watched you and Michael demand things, expect him to be at your beck and call, and to solve the shit you got yourselves into. You expected Brian to thank you for forcing him to father a child he told you he didn’t want?” Cynthia asked.

 

“He wants him now,” Lindsay told her.

 

“Which should tell you something. But you don’t want to acknowledge that it wasn’t about who carried Gus, but who loved Gus. What you did actually gave Brian someone he could see wanting the life with that he never wanted with you or Michael.” Cynthia told her.

 

Lindsay sat quietly for a minute, trying to think of a different strategy. “I want Gus to have the kind of life Justin was giving him.” 

 

“That’s wonderful of you. Only you don’t seem to get that you left your child with a stranger. Regardless of how you want to spin this, you had no clue who Justin was. You could have left Gus with a monster, and only lucked out that Justin is the person he is. There’s nothing you can say to my wife or me that would make either one of us believe that what you did was anything but you leaving Gus, not giving a shit what happened to him.” Mark said, wanting Lindsay to stop upsetting his wife.

 

“He loved Gus.” Lindsay defended.

 

“Did you? Or was Gus just another casualty?” Mark asked.

 

“Gus didn’t want me. He cried all the time when he was with me. I needed to get away.” Lindsay told him.

 

“Children do that, especially when they know they aren’t wanted. Lindsay, let Gus be with the people who will love him, in a way you're not capable of. Let Gus have the life you wished for with your family, by letting Justin and Brian do that for him. Brian isn’t the same person you once knew, he changed when you took off. The man I got to know through my wife isn’t the man you think you know anymore. He was haunted by not knowing what happened to the baby you forced on him. Now he’s happy to love the son Justin gave him without conditions. You can tell me you know him, but you only seem to know the superficial parts of him. I got to know the man behind the reputation. Justin is the man Brian would be willing to move across the world for if he wanted him to. It’s something Brian and I have in common, we’d move oceans if the person we loved wanted us to.” Mark said, kissing Cynthia’s hand.

 

“I’d give up anything Mark needed me to, including being Brian’s second hand,” Cynthia tells her.

 

“So you see Lindsay, it’s about really loving someone. Brian loves Justin for more than just keeping Gus safe for him, for more than money or anything that being with Justin could give him.” Mark tells her.

 

“Brian couldn’t love anyone,” Lindsay told them, before getting up and leaving.

 

“She never got Brian,” Cynthia told Mark, answering her phone when it rang.

 

Ted hated to make this call, but Kelly from Eyeconics wanted a meeting with Brian. She didn’t have the time to go to Brian, but it was really her wanting Brian to come to her. He called Cynthia, hoping Kelly would agree to meet in Chicago, not wanting Brian to have to come to Pittsburgh to calm down the client.

 

“What is she worried about?” Cynthia asks.

 

“I think it’s that Brian isn’t going to be where she wants him to be,” Ted tells her.

 

“Have you called Brian?” Cynthia asks.

 

“Not yet. Usually, after talking to you, Kelly’s okay.” Ted tells her.

 

“Let me call her and see what exactly is the problem.” Cynthia sighed.

 

The problem was Kelly was worried Brian would hand over her account to another exec. After hearing from others the excitement that Kinnetik was opening its doors in Chicago and Brian was heading the new office, Kelly wanted Brian to personally assure her that her account wasn’t going to get lost in the new clients. She wouldn’t be happy with a call and demanded they meet in New York since she was currently in talks to partner with a clothing line. Cynthia read between the lines. Kelly was hoping to use Kinnetik and not the firm the clothing line wanted to go with and needed Brian to impress them the way he impressed her into going along with him when she could have stayed where she’d been.

 

“I guess we’re going to New York,” Cynthia told Mark.

 

“I’ll get everything moved in if you’ll just say yes to the house I know you want.” Mark teased.

 

“Yes, it’s perfect. Just like you are.” Cynthia told him.

 

Brian called Kelly after Cynthia returned from lunch and agreed to go. She didn’t tell him about her run-in with Lindsay. Not because Brian didn’t need to know, just because right now business was more important. Brian knew he’d have to travel sometimes, but hated that it had to be just when he and Justin were just getting settled in. Brian came home to Gus playing at the kitchen table while Justin was cooking dinner, hating that he’d be away for a few days but knowing Justin wouldn’t make him feel guilty about it.

 

“I have to go to New York tomorrow, one of my clients needs me to reassure her and she wants me to meet with the company she wants to partner with,” Brian told him, kissing Gus.

 

“I planned to get work done on the animation, and start the next issue of Rage anyway,” Justin told him.

 

“Could you do it in New York?” Brian asked.

 

“If I brought my computer, sure,” Justin told him.

 

“Why not come along? You and Gus could see the sights while I take care of business.” Brian told him.

 

“You know we’ll be okay while you work don’t you, or are you worried about Lindsay?” Justin asked.

 

“I want you and Gus with me when you can be. Eventually one of us will have to stay when the other needs to be somewhere else, but until then I want my family with me.” Brian told him.

 

“New Fork?” Gus asked.

 

“York,” Justin told him.

 

“Toy Store!” Gus said, thrilled.

 

“Which doesn’t mean Dada or Daddy buying everything you look at,” Justin explained to Gus.

 

“Dada, I needs stuff,” Gus told him.

 

“He really does,” Brian added.

 

“Within reason, or Daddy goes alone,” Justin told them, laughing.

 

“Dada doesn’t get when you needs stuff, Sonny Boy,” Brian told Gus, as the boy nodded seriously.

 

“Dada gets that we’ll have to buy another house at the rate Daddy is trying to fill this one,” Justin told them both.

 

After dinner, Gus was waiting for Brian and Justin to put him to bed. Brian grabbed one of his books and laid down next to Gus as he read him to sleep, pretending not to see Justin rearranging the toys that were everywhere in Gus’s room. Brian and Justin could buy a new house, but Justin’s house felt like home to Brian. And unless they wanted a bigger house, Brian would control his buying habits.

 

“Do you want more kids one day?” Brian asked when they were in bed.

 

“I never really thought about it. I wanted kids before Gus, but I never really had an idea of whether I wanted more than one. Why? Do you want more?” Justin asked.

 

“Not right now. But if you did, I won’t mind.” Brian told him.

 

“Is there some reason you’re bringing this up?” Justin asked.

 

“Just so you know that if you want to have another one, I’d be willing,” Brian told him.

 

“Why?” Justin asked again.

 

“Because I like being a father, and I love the father you are,” Brian said, leaning over Justin.

 

“Is that all you like?” Justin teased as Brian kissed his neck.

 

“Let me think about it,” Brian told him, pulling off Justin’s shirt. “I like the idea of a child with your eyes and smile,” Brian said, kissing Justin’s lips. “I love the idea of watching Gus being a big brother, the way he is with his friends,” Brian told him, running his hands down Justin’s chest. “I love the idea that we’d have a baby because it’s what we wanted, together,” Brian told Justin.

 

“You want it all, don’t you?” Justin moaned as Brian stroked him.

 

“With you, I want it all to be mine,” Brian told him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 24 by starlight

Lindsay tried not to scream when she found out Brian and Justin were going to New York. She couldn’t believe it when the moms at the park gossiped about what a great family Justin and his new boyfriend would be for Gus. She sat there listening to how Brian was father of the fucking year. One of them started talking about Gus, telling her son about a trip to Europe that he was going to go on with his daddies. It was like Lindsay didn’t exist. No one at the park talked about Gus having a mother. She sat there wanting to tell them that she was the one who Brian should be treating the way he does Justin. She got up and went to her hotel, planning on going to New York and making sure Brian and Justin couldn’t ignore her. Her parents had been trying to get her to try to salvage her marriage to Randolph. But as far as Lindsay was concerned Randolph was useless once he told her the only way she could stay married to him was by leaving Gus alone. Lindsay’s tears didn’t work, nor did her argument that she only wanted to be the mother she couldn’t be when Brian was a threat to Gus. When she said that, Randolph walked out of the room and left his bloodsucking lawyer to deal with her.

 

Lindsay had hoped to use Michael to cause problems, but he somehow thought partying would bring Brian back to him. Lindsay couldn’t believe Michael never figured out what a leech he was in Brian’s life. Although she didn’t see anything she did as wrong, or even close to how Justin described it. She didn’t see what she did to Brian as rape. Brian was careless, that wasn’t her fault. Lindsay was so busy trying to justify things to herself that she didn’t see Reese until he got in the elevator with her.

 

“You really need to give up,” Reese told her.

 

“How about I call the police and tell them you're harassing me?” She asked him.

 

“Go for it. Then we can tell the police about your warrant in California. I guess your dad didn’t clean up everything you did.” He told her.

 

“I don’t have a clue what you're talking about. I was never in California.” She answered him, worried.

 

“No, that was Melanie Taylor, right? Only, the man you decided owed you more than the agreed on amount for a weekend, identified you. He really was trying to cover up why you were there, and guess what? Apparently, the story was that you showed up with his single brother for lunch and then robbed his house. Which his brother is willing to agree to since he doesn’t want his brother’s wife to find out you stole her jewelry while she was away and his brother was screwing you in her bed.” Reese told her.

 

“He identifies me and I’ll tell exactly why I was there. I have the email ordering me for the night.” Lindsay said smugly.

 

“Go for it. But then you’ll be charged with prostitution and burglary. Either way, you’re out of Brian and Justin's life. After that, no judge will want to give you access to the kid you abandoned years ago. Do everyone a favor and leave. I can make sure the other thing goes away, as long as you go find someone else’s life to ruin by being in it.” He tells her.

 

Reese waited, hoping Lindsay fell for it since he was really only piecing together the information based on the guy being one of Lindsay’s clients, and the theft that was discovered after she took off. The guy admitted to the detective Reese sent that he hired a call girl for the weekend, and identified the woman he hired as Lindsay. He didn’t know if Lindsay stole his wife’s jewelry since they didn’t know it was missing until his wife was looking for an heirloom her family passed down to her. Reese was guessing it was Lindsay.

 

“Craig Taylor is willing to help you as long as you walk away,” Reese said, hoping to sweeten the pot.

“Tell him I want first class all the way,” Lindsay said, needing time to think of a plan to get what she wanted.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Brian hated that he was stuck in a meeting, but Justin and Gus texted him what they were doing. Kelly wasn’t sure what to think of Brian. Normally he was all business, but he seemed distracted when Harry asked him what he thought about doing a duo campaign for the clothing and sunglass like they were teaming up to do. Ted had told Kelly about Brian’s partner and that Brian planned to mix business with a family trip. So she didn’t know what to expect from this meeting, but it wasn’t Brian smiling at his phone. Harry had been resistant to using Brian, but only because Brian’s campaigns were more risque than anything Harry had allowed in the past. It only took Kelly showing him the numbers for him to see that he needed to at least consider what Brian could do for them. Kelly snooped through Ted to find out what man managed to get Brian’s attention. She didn’t know what to make of the fact that Justin Taylor wasn’t anything she imagined Brian Kinney would be interested in but found it interesting that Brian was willing to move mountains to be with him. Which she used to get Harry, the family man, to meet with Brian.

 

“I could have done this from Chicago,” Brian said to both of them.

 

“What made you change cities?” Harry asked.

 

“We were planning to start branching out, and recently found there was interest in Kinnetik in Chicago,” Cynthia answered when Brian was texting instead of talking to Kelly and Harry.

 

“I wanted to be with my partner and son, and they live in Chicago,” Brian answered, surprising Kelly since normally Brian didn’t talk about his personal life.

 

“You should have moved your family to New York, it’s where you need to be,” Harry told him.

 

“And if Justin decides he wants us to move here, then I’ll be here. I don’t need an office here, which you just proved since I’m here with you wanting to use Kinnetik, which is still based in Pittsburgh, and now Chicago.” Brian told him, making Kelly hold back her smile at the arrogant man she knew and loved.

 

“I honestly hoped Kelly would go with my ad firm, but she said it was you or she would pull out,” Harry told him.

 

“I’ve seen what your ad firm’s done, and they’re good, but I’m better. Kinnetik will cater to your products and every campaign will be designed specifically for you. If you decide not to go with us, that’s up to you. Right now I’m only willing to help because Kelly’s always stuck by me, and I appreciate her loyalty.” Brian told them.

 

“It means traveling with us. We have fashion shows planned in most of Europe. This campaign is going to be global and it’s something Kinnetik hasn’t done yet.” Harry told him.

 

“All of us are willing to do what you need,” Ted told him.

 

“Even with the family that Brian seems to be distracted by?” Harry asked.

 

“My family comes first, but it doesn’t mean what you need from me will be a problem,” Brian told him.

 

“I’d like to meet them. Why not invite them to lunch after we sign the contracts.” Harry told Brian, which he found odd, but didn’t say anything about.

 

Justin and Gus took a cab to meet Brian at the restaurant. Brian told him the clients wanted to meet him and Gus. He wasn’t sure why since it was business but agreed since Gus wanted to see Brian. Brian introduced Justin and Gus to Kelly and Harry, as they all sat down to order. Kelly was watching as Brian was busy listening to his son, and smiling when Brian seemed not to remember she and Harry were there.

 

“Brian never mentioned you to me. Of course, Brian rarely mentions his personal life, so you can see why I wanted to meet you both.” Kelly told Justin.

 

“I feel the same way. My editor actually wanted to hire Brian before she found out we were seeing each other. But either way, it’s nice to meet the people smart enough to see using Kinnetik as prosperous to their futures.” Justin told them.

 

“I heard you’re a comic book author?” Harry asked Justin.

 

“I write a comic, but mostly I raise Gus with Brian,” Justin told him.

 

“I was disappointed that Brian chose Chicago to open up a branch of Kinnetik. But I understand wanting to be with your family.” Kelly told him.

 

“While I was resistant to using Brian, the fact that his family is so important was a reason I was willing to sign with him today. I almost learned that lesson too late. There was a time when business was everything to me, and my family got shuffled behind it. I was lucky my wife stuck around, when even now business sometimes has to come first.” Harry told them.

 

“I guess that’s where Brian and I are lucky. We both lead lives where sometimes business will get in the way. Right now is my downtime, but eventually, I’ll be traveling again for conventions, and with Brian in my life, it means if Gus can’t come there’s someone home for him.” Justin told him.

 

“In the next couple of months, we plan to be all over Europe, and want Brian to be there too,” Harry told him.

 

“What are you really saying?” Justin asked.

 

“Justin was already planning to take our son traveling, so it shouldn’t be a problem to tailor the trips to what you need for business,” Brian told him.

 

“I can work from anywhere right now since most of my work is done from my home. I do have to meet with a producer since I’ll be putting out an animated movie of my comic soon, but it shouldn’t be a problem for us.” Justin told Harry.

 

“I admit I don’t know much about the comic business, other than that my daughter is in love with one in particular, and was very sad to miss one of your conventions because we were away. While I’m admitting it, I became a fan through her.” Harry said, smiling.

 

“I’d be happy to meet her,” Justin told him.

 

Harry smile sheepishly at Brian. “That was really why I asked you to bring him.”

 

Brian really didn’t care, he was proud to show off Justin and Gus to anyone. “Does this mean I was only hired because you’re a fan?” Brian joked.

 

“You were hired because Kelly showed me what having you on a campaign did for Eyeconics. I resisted at first, but only because my business is more conservative, and your campaigns would change the way we market.” Harry told him.

 

“Taking a risk is part of business. I know it was a risk when I wrote a character in a market where superheroes are heterosexual. In the first year I left it up in the air, but I wanted to stay true to the hero I was writing about and not make it about his sexuality. Only I found the readers loved the character and that I brought in new readers by showing them a new look at the character.” Justin told him.

 

“We’ll be working on bringing in new customers for both of you, by showing them you aren’t outfitting just families, but everyone,” Brian added.

 

Brian thought over lunch later that night and laughed at how it would have gone if he had brought someone like Lindsay. Lindsay always thought she would be the perfect addition since she was raised on how to act during any social occasion. With Justin it was more natural, he could easily deal with the business as well as the social side of conversations. Only, what made Brian know Justin was who he wanted was that he didn’t care if Justin was capable of doing any of it. 

Chapter 25 by starlight

Justin wandered around with Gus, wondering what was going on with Brian. It wasn’t like he wasn’t still the man Justin was in love with, just that he was trying to hide that he was worried about something. It was just that when Justin asked about it, Brian distracted him with sex. Which left Justin thinking he needed to stop waiting until they were in bed to ask about it. Brian left his phone at the hotel when he went to the last meeting he needed to go to, and Justin snooped, feeling like an asshole but hoping it would tell him something. He saw a lot of missed calls from Pittsburgh and hated that Brian was ignoring everyone for him. He didn’t care if Brian helped his friend, as long as it didn’t hurt him. He planned to tell Brian it was okay if he wanted to deal with whatever was causing his voicemail to fill up. Brian came in and kissed Justin then sat on the floor with Gus, who was coloring.

 

“You left your phone here, sorry but I sort of looked,” Justin told him, handing him the phone as it rang again with the same number.

 

“I was planning to deal with this when we got done here. It’s easier not to answer because they expect me to jump when they call.” Brian told him.

 

“He doesn’t need to answer it. Blake and I will take care of it.” Ted told them.

 

“Why is Deb calling?” Brian asked.

 

“I don’t know but when I get back I’ll find out,” Ted told him.

 

“Thank you for wanting to help, but Justin and I should go to the Pitts for other reasons,” Brian said, answering Deb’s call.

 

“What reasons?” Justin asked, but didn’t get an answer as Deb had started talking to Brian.

 

Brian almost wanted to kick his own ass for answering, but it wasn’t like he didn’t expect what Deb would call him about. Deb was asking him to come back to Pittsburgh. Apparently, Michael was completely out of control. Justin could tell Brian was torn about what to do, and Ted wanted to kill Deb for once again dragging Brian into Michael’s mess. Ted and Blake tried to do what they could to keep Brian from having to deal with Michael. Only they weren’t Brian, and Michael, no matter how many times anyone told him, wanted to believe Brian wouldn’t want the kind of life he was building with Justin because it wasn’t with Michael. Deb had been doing well staying out of it, cleaning Michael up when he showed up looking like a drunken bum. For the most part, she didn’t ask any of them to do anything, so Ted prayed whatever it was warranted once again asking Brian to help.  

 

“Michael needs to know you aren’t going to be there to save the day,” Ted told him.

 

“I could meet my stepmother and see my family,” Justin told him, trusting Brian to do what he had to.

 

“I don’t plan to go there and save the day. Deb can’t do what she’s asking me to do...” Brian commented.

 

“She was doing good not asking,” Ted told him.

 

“When you’re a father you see things differently. If I thought someone could help my child, I’d do it without caring what it did to someone else.” Justin told him.

 

“Michael’s thirty-three, which means it’s time for him to grow up,” Ted told him.

 

“Yet you keep trying to help him.” Brian reminded him.

 

“Only because I want you to have a chance at a life that doesn’t have you at Michael’s beck and call,” Ted told him.

 

“I won’t be, but if it’s as bad as Deb says then someone needs to make him listen,” Brian told him.

 

“What did she tell you?” Ted asked.

 

“He ended up in the hospital where they had to pump his stomach because the drugs and alcohol in his system could have killed him,” Brian told Ted.

 

“Why does Deb think you being there could help him?” Justin asked.

 

“I still have his POA and can have him committed to a clinic. That’s all she’s asking of me.” Brian told Ted.

 

“We also need to talk to Mel about Gus’s adoption, so we can do both while we’re there,” Justin told Brian.

 

“Justin, if Brian shows up there Michael will take it the wrong way. He wants to believe Brian can’t want to live the life you and he are living together. Brian showing up will make him believe it. Blake might be able to do this without you getting involved.” Ted told them.

 

“Even if Blake could, Michael would fight it. He needs to know that unless he does this it’s the end of the road for all of us.” Brian told him.

 

“If you want me to be there so Michael doesn’t get the wrong idea I will,” Justin told Brian.

 

Ted still thought it was a bad idea, but knew Brian would do what he wanted anyway. Ted didn’t find out until Justin and Gus fell asleep on the plane to Pittsburgh that Brian wanted to know what Craig offered to get Lindsay to go. Reese called Brian to tell him Lindsay agreed to leave them alone and that Craig offered to help convince her. Brian didn’t want Craig to pay for the problem that came from his friendship with Lindsay, and her abuse of the friendship. He also wanted to talk to Lynette and explain he wouldn’t hide the fact that they were trying to buy Gus, and if they helped Lindsay, he’d make sure everyone knew all their secrets. He hated that it was taking as long as it was to get the adoption done, but suspected Ron and Nancy were trying to placate Lindsay’s tantrums by calling in favors to make this harder. They didn’t give a shit about Gus but saw him as a way to hopefully change the way Randolph felt about their family. Mel called Brian with updates and told him about the problems she’d been having with the paperwork. Brian didn’t want to worry Justin, and it might have been a mistake on his part, but his past was causing the bullshit and he wanted to be the one to solve it so Justin never had to worry about the son he loved.

 

“You can’t keep it from Justin. Trust me, it only causes problems when they find out you did it to protect them.” Ted whispered.

 

“I had hoped to just deal with it and be able to tell him Gus was ours,” Brian whispered.

 

“Brian, you keep forgetting that you’re in a relationship. It means dealing with everything together. Justin’s family could take on the Petersons and win.” Ted told him.

 

“Only if you tell me what’s going on,” Justin whispered, looking down at a sleeping Gus.

 

Brian didn’t want this to become Justin’s problem, but Ted had a point, he was in a relationship, something he really had no experience with, and Ted did. Instead of trying to solve everything himself it was time to let his partner help him.

 

“There’s been problems with the paperwork. It goes missing or gets filed wrong. Mel thinks Lindsay is likely blackmailing her family so they’ll call in favors to fuck with us. Your father also helped by getting rid of Lindsay for as long as she’ll disappear, which he shouldn’t have had to do.” Brian told him.

 

“And you didn’t tell me?” Justin asked.

 

“My life is the reason all this is happening to us,” Brian told him.

 

“That’s just it. It’s happening to us, not just you, which mean we deal with it together.” Justin told him.

 

Ted chose not to smirk and kept the ‘I told you so’ in his head. Not that Brian didn’t know, and he gave Ted the look that said to make sure that thought was never voiced. When they landed, Blake was waiting for them. Ted loved coming home because Blake was there to show him he had a home. Brian watched them and knew it was time he took a lesson from Ted. 

 

“I want you to come with me. Michael needs to see us as we are now.” Brian told Justin.

 

“What about Gus?” Justin asked.

 

“I think Grandma and Grandpa would love to spend time with him,” Brian answered, happy that Gus would have the family Justin grew up with.

 

“Can you let me ask my father what he did?” Justin asked.

 

“Why?” Brian asked.

 

“I want him to know that I believe he really wants me in his life. When I was younger this was the father I grew up with, and I think he thinks he owes me for not being that father when I came out. I want him to know I don’t care anymore, I’m just happy that he’s trying to be the father I loved.” Justin answered.

 

“I want to pay him back,” Brian told him.

 

“Too bad, because he won’t let you. Just let our father do something for us. He needs to show you too, it’s just how he is.” Justin told him.

 

They let Ted take Gus to Grandma’s since they were planning to go to Craig’s house after. Brian sat next to Justin in the back of the car, preparing himself to deal with Michael once again. He kept promising himself he’d leave Michael to deal with his life, but Deb’s call scared him. He didn’t want Michael dead, but he also didn’t want him to see things the way Ted pointed out.

 

“Brian, it might be good to put him in lockdown until we clean his ass up. He really doesn’t need anyone visiting him, which includes Deb. Michael uses all of you as a crutch, and in the program I think would be good for him, no one will listen to him blame anyone for what he did.” Blake told him.

 

“How long before he could have visitors?” Brian asked.

 

“A month. And that’s only after he actually participates.” Blake told him.

 

“How long has he been like this?” Justin asked.

 

“The drugs started pretty much the minute you left. I doubt there’s been one day Michael’s been sober since he went to the loft and found it empty. Ted and I should have told you, but until Michael hit rock bottom I didn’t think having you involved would do more than convince him what he was doing was working to get you to come back.” Blake told them.

 

“See why you shouldn’t have tried to keep things from me?” Justin the smart ass asked.

 

Brian ignored him and spoke to Blake. “Deb is going to have a hard time with this.”

 

“It's better than her son being dead. Which he would have been if Todd hadn’t seen him on the floor of the bathroom and dragged him to the emergency room.” Blake told him.

 

Blake followed them in and Deb was sitting in the waiting room crying her eyes out. Brian could tell she was blaming herself, which she did if she couldn’t blame anyone else for Michael’s actions. Justin, not knowing what to do, offered to talk to the doctor about it. 

 

“If they give you any problems, have them come here to me and Deb,” Brian told him.

 

Deb looked up at Brian and practically strangled him with a hug, only noticing Justin as he started to walk off. Brian tensed when Deb let him go and headed straight to Justin. 

 

“I’m sorry my son’s shit made you and Brian have to come here. I didn’t know what to do. Michael told the doctor only Brian was allowed to make decisions for him and ordered me out.” Deb told him, standing there looking lost.

 

Justin smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her. “It’s not a problem. You did what you could for him. Just understand Brian is doing what he has to in order to help Michael.” Justin told her.

 

“He needs help, something he won’t take from me,” Deb told them.

 

“Deb, Brian and I talked about it, and the plan is to have him transferred to a lockdown rehab. What that means is that he can’t have visitors or calls until he does what he needs to do to clean himself up.” Blake told her.

 

“I can’t see him?” Deb asked, looking horrified at the idea of not seeing Michael.

 

“No. But it makes it so Michael has to face his problems. I know you’ve been good about letting Michael deal with his problems, but this time he needs to know all his crutches are gone.” Blake told her.

 

“I thought I was doing the right thing, but look at where he ended up because I backed off.” She told them.

 

“He did this, not you. Trust me, I was where he is now, and in the end, the program helped me see what I was doing hurt everyone I said I loved. Michael needs a place where no one will let him pass the blame for his mistakes.” Blake told her.

 

“Why can’t I see him?” Deb asked like she couldn’t get past it.

 

“Because you and I are the reason Michael never had to take the blame for what he did. We spent all his life covering for him, and by you or me being allowed to see him, he won’t do what he needs to help himself.” Brian snapped.

 

“I thought I was being a good mother,” Deb said, crying.

 

“You did the best you could. We all know you tried, but Michael needs something to fix what’s broken in him. I came from a good family who loved me but didn’t know how to deal with a gay son. Drugs became my way of coping with my father not knowing how to deal with me. Then it became the real reason my parents kicked me out. If they had done what Brian is willing to do, maybe my life would have been different.” Blake told her.

 

“Michael will fight it,” Deb told them, giving in.

 

“Then he shouldn’t have given me the power to do it to him,” Brian told her.

 

Justin talked to the doctor while Brian spoke with Deb, letting her know he’d pay for this for Michael. She objected, saying he shouldn’t have to, but relented when Brian told her he wasn’t going to let her kill herself working. Blake showed her the cost of the facility he planned to call as soon as Brian signed the paperwork, and Deb cried again at how much her son was costing his best friend. The doctor had already ordered an evaluation of Michael and told Justin they all agreed Michael wasn’t capable of making sound decisions. Which meant Brian could take over until Michael could. 

 

Brian didn’t go in to see Michael thinking he agreed that Brian needed to make the decisions in his life because he couldn’t. He knew Michael did this in order to try and get Brian back. Which was Michael’s mistake, because Brian was going to do what Michael needed, not what Michael wanted. Michael’s smile fell when Justin came into the room behind Brian, but he ignored the blond and focused on Brian.

 

“I knew you couldn’t leave me,” Michael announced.

 

“I’m here to get you help,” Brian told him, walking to the window instead of the bed.

 

“He didn’t need to be here, I wanted only you,” Michael told him, upset when Brian wouldn’t come to him.

 

“Where I go, my partner goes. Understand that, because it won’t change because you fuck up your life.” Brian told him.

 

“All I did was relive our fun days before Lindsay fucked your life up,” Michael told him.

 

“Are you not getting that you almost died?” Brian asked, trying to get Michael to see what he was doing.

 

“Would you have missed me? Or is HE more important than the friend who stood by you?” Michael asked.

 

“I haven’t seen that Michael in a long time. I mourned him years ago when you couldn’t let go of the friend you wanted me to be and see the man I am.” Brian told him.

 

“I’ve been here the whole time, but you let your obsession with that bitch drag us apart,” Michael told him.

 

“I wanted to know my child was safe, but you couldn’t support me, so it changed us. I never wanted to lose you, but Gus was more important than a friendship to someone who didn’t see that my child had to come before anyone.” Brian told him.

 

“I planned to help you with Gus. You didn’t need to act like you were in love with the man who took your kid and kept him away from you,” Michael told him.

 

Justin didn’t let Michael’s words do what he seemed to want them to do. He let Brian know he wasn’t affected and it was all Brian needed to do what he knew would hurt Michael.

 

“No acting required, because I do love Justin. If he didn’t have Gus it wouldn’t have changed me wanting to be with him. You weren’t going to be anything but the friend I had since I was fourteen, but unless you do what I ask of you now, you won’t even be that to me.” Brian told him.

 

“You can’t throw away our friendship that easily,” Michael argued, now worried.

 

“It’s because I can’t that I’m doing what Blake suggested. You need time to figure out how to live your life and how to stop letting drugs rule it.” Brian told him.

 

“Rehab. That’s your answer? I need my friends to help me.” Michael told him.

 

“Unless you do this you won’t have any friends left,” Brian told him.

 

“You can’t make me,” Michael said, like a child.

 

“I couldn’t, but you made sure every doctor you saw knows you're not competent to make decisions. Which didn’t work out the way you thought it would because it means I control where you go. Do yourself a favor and actually work to clean yourself up.” Brian said, walking to Justin, taking his hand and walking out, as Michael screams for him to come back.

 

“I’ll deal with the rest,” Blake told him.

 

“I’m sorry,” Deb said, not just for calling Brian but for everything that she did that led to Michael’s codependency on him. 

 

“Don’t be sorry, just do as Blake tells you and hope it changes Michael,” Justin told her.

 

“If you need to get away call me and I’ll be there as always,” Brian told her.

 

“How about I just call and hear about your new life instead?” Deb asked, wanting to change their relationship.

 

“It’s everything I once dreamed of, and more,” Brian told her, kissing Justin’s head.

 

Chapter 26 by starlight

Justin and Brian picked Gus up from Jen and made their way to Craig’s house. Brian wanted to be the one who talked to Craig. He wanted to explain that he appreciated Craig's generosity but felt it was something he should have handled since Lindsay was a problem from his past. He understood what Justin was saying to him, but until recently he’d never had a family life like Justin’s. Justin’s estrangement from Craig and his demands the family eradicate Justin from their lives, Brian understood. Craig’s willingness to do what he had to in order to have his son back, was foreign to Brian. It was something Brian didn’t see happening with his mother or sister but was happy Craig managed to see what he was losing by ostracizing Justin. Jen had been surprised by Craig’s change of heart but told Brian this was the Craig that she had once loved. 

 

Gus ran ahead of them to Craig, who smiled as he caught his grandson. Brian hung back as Craig hugged Justin, thinking that if his family had tried to understand him, Gus would know them too. Craig let Justin and Gus go inside, waiting for Brian. When Brian reached him, Craig made a decision to start where he planned to continue, not just with Justin but with Brian also. He didn’t hold out a hand but pulled a startled Brian into a hug. It took everything in Brian to lift his arms and return what Craig offered him, acceptance.

 

“If we’re going to be family, we do it all the way,” Craig told him, letting him go to get his bearings.

 

Brian didn’t say anything but followed as Craig showed him into the kitchen where a tiny redhead that was Cara, was squeezing the life out of Justin.

 

“I told your father if you didn’t come to see us soon, I was going to just show up at your place. I wanted to know the son Craig seemed very proud of.” Cara told him.

 

“Honey, can he breathe?” Craig said, laughing.

 

“Sorry. I just wanted to make sure you knew I wanted you to be part of my life, and your soon to be brother’s life. Molly spent the first few times we met telling me all about the best big brother in the world, and helping me convince Craig the only person who was losing in this stupid situation was him.” Cara told them, smiling.

 

“I lost years I can’t get back.” Craig agreed.

 

“Jen tried to tell you, and for a while, I started to understand why she finally kicked your ass out. He took a while to get there but he sees what he did was wrong.” Cara told Justin.

 

“I don’t plan to live in the past. I just want to remember the father you were before we stopped being able to agree,” Justin told Craig.

 

“How about Gus helps me cook while you guys get to know each other,” Cara suggested.

 

Craig led them to the living room, inviting them to sit down while he got them something to drink. Justin wanted to tell his father to stop trying so hard because Craig had already proven to him he was changing. Brian did as Justin asked and let him ask Craig about what he offered Lindsay to stay away from them.

 

“I offered her what she wanted; a chance to make a new life. I doubt it will last for long, but I talked to Mel and knew if you wanted the Peterson’s to back off, it would be easier if Lindsay wasn’t around to placate.” Craig told them.

 

“We don’t want you to feel like you have to do it. Brian wanted to pay you back.” Justin told him.

 

“There’s no need. Like family, it’s something you're going to have to get used to. Until I acted like an asshole about Justin’s life, one of the things I believed was that as a family we should be there to help. I lost my values for a long time, willing to believe Justin would eventually be who I wanted him to be. Only I didn’t raise him to bow down to people. Let me rephrase that. Jen and I wanted our children to stand on their own, but know we’d always be there. Justin was being the man we raised him to be, while I was being someone I never wanted to become. I also want to make sure you understand I didn’t do what I did with Lindsay for you or Justin, but for my grandson. I’ve seen what the Petersons idea of family is and the idea of Gus being in their world… let’s just say, no price is too big to protect him.” Craig told them.

 

“She’ll keep trying, and part of that is my fault. I allowed her and Michael to believe I’d protect them from themselves.” Brian told him.

 

“How is that your fault? They are both adults, and both could have made better decisions. Please don’t get upset with Jen, but she told me what Lindsay did to you, and in the end, she didn’t care that you said no to her. What she did was what she was taught by her family. People like the Petersons run over anyone to get what they want, something Lindsay learned from them, not you. From what Cara and Jen said, Michael was a case of wanting what he couldn’t have from you. Which, with a mother who indulged him the way she did, meant him becoming the man he is.” Craig told Brian, wanting Brian to stop blaming himself for the selfishness of people in his life.

 

The doorbell rang and in came Molly and Jen. Jen greeted Cara like a sister, while Cara fussed over Molly.

 

“I hope you both don’t mind but we wanted to spend as much time with the three of you as we could while you were here,” Molly told Brian.

 

“You three just like ganging up on me. Thank God, with Brian, Justin, Gus, and the baby, the estrogen levels will go down.” Craig told them, laughing.

 

“Well if Jen would just stop playing the field, you’d have someone to talk to.” Cara giggled.

 

“Craig wanted to make sure that we were all prepared to help Brian and Justin on the adoption. Which, from what Mel was able to tell us, the Petersons are causing problems.” Jen said, sitting down.

 

“I talked to my father, who couldn’t believe the run-around Mel’s been dealing with. He plans to look into the case and find out why the paperwork is being lost.” Cara told them.

 

“Why would he help?” Justin asked.

 

“He doesn’t like it when favors are being called in and wasn’t happy to hear the people under him were causing problems. He’s the Chief Judge in Pittsburgh.” Cara told him.

 

“He also thinks if they are willing to do a favor, then what laws are they willing to break if they owe too many?” Craig commented.

 

“He spoke to the judge presiding over the case and read the case file. He can’t rule in your favor, but he is making sure there won’t be any more problems for your lawyer. He told me to tell you that the ninety days started the day the petition was first entered, and if Craig’s plan works, Lindsay and her parents will think they still have ninety days from today to show up.” Cara informed them.

 

“Isn’t that sort of like calling in a favor?” Brian asked.

 

“Nope. It’s following the law as it was written. Craig managed to get the information on Lindsay’s past activities, including letters from everyone who knew about what Lindsay did to Brian added to the file. From what Mel told us, the social worker on the case isn’t happy with what she’s been reading and doesn’t see Lindsay as a good influence on the son she abandoned five years ago. It helps both of you that Lindsay didn’t support Gus in any way, or bother to have any contact with him.” Jen told them.

 

“She thinks she can use my past to show I’m not a fit father. She told her husband she did what she did because she was scared of me.” Brian told them.

 

“She should have been. Because what you did in your past is just that, your past. My father told us that yes, your past would be something to look at, but what you’ve done, looking for your child since Lindsay disappeared, and since finding Gus shows the court the kind of father he will have in you. You didn’t walk away but did what Gus needed you to in order to be with him. What the court is going to see is that Gus is a happy, well-adjusted child with you and Justin. He doesn’t have a clue who Lindsay is, and she’s going to figure out any mother earth act she tries isn’t going to change the fact that she’s a stranger to Gus.” Jen told them.

 

“We need to tell Mel about Lindsay’s family trying to pay Lindsay to give Gus to her sister,” Justin told Brian.

 

“We can’t really prove it, and trust me, the Peterson’s will make it sound like they gave Lindsay money, the way they give it to Lynette. I agree that we tell Mel, but with everything else, I doubt Lindsay could really stop the adoption.” Brian told him.

 

“Remember that you both also have us to support you. They could bring up my history with Justin, but it won’t help them because of the support all of us are willing to give both of you now.” Craig told them.

 

Brian went with Jen and Cara to check on Gus, leaving Justin and his father alone. Justin thought about all the changes in his life, and how he never saw a day his father would support him. 

 

“What are you and Brian planning after this trip?” Craig asked.

 

“One of Brian’s clients wants him to plan a joint campaign, which means he’ll be traveling with them. Brian and I talked about it, and Gus and I are going to go with him. It works since I’m busy with my animated series and I’d already planned to take Gus on a vacation.” Justin told Craig.

 

“Cara and I would like you guys to be here when the baby’s born,” Craig told him.

 

“We’ll make sure we’re here… I wanted to say this, it means a lot that you want us to have a relationship because even when you didn’t want me in your life, I still loved you.” Justin told him.

 

“I wanted you in my life too. Don’t ever think what I did meant that I didn’t want that. I pushed you out because of my problems, not yours. Everything that happened was me not willing to admit that nothing changed about you. Loving Brian doesn’t make you any less the son I spent years being proud of fathering. I just didn’t know how to bridge the gap I caused, and I spent years thinking you had to do it.” Craig told him.

 

“What made you?” Justin asked.

 

“I planned to do it when Molly said you came home. But I sat here thinking you wouldn’t be willing to talk to me. In a way, I owe it to the Peterson’s; because they thought we had something in common. They spent their lives worried about appearances; something I once thought meant everything. Only, you being gay only meant finding out that the people I thought I wanted approval from weren’t really worth losing everything for. Something your mother learned long before I did by leaving them behind.” Craig told him.

 

“Brian’s doing the same thing. Before we came here his surrogate mother called us to help her with her son, Michael. Michael kept Brian as his POA and went out of his way to get the doctor’s to believe he wasn’t competent to make any decisions. He wanted Brian to have to come to him and wasn’t happy to see me. Brian told him he either goes to the lockdown rehab we’re willing to pay for or it’s over.” Justin told him.

 

“It’s over either way. Because I don’t want you or Gus to have to deal with him.” Brian commented, sitting down.

 

“Why give him the choice?” Craig asked.

 

“Deb needs to let him go so he can either grow up or fuck up. She’s trying, but as Justin said, if it was our child, we’d likely do anything to help. Michael would play at rehab, and give Deb just enough to fall back into the role he wants her to have in his life; his enabler.” Brian told him.

 

“What was your role?” Craig asked.

 

“Whatever Deb asked. But I couldn’t be that Brian and be the one Justin and Gus needed. Michael craves being the center of everyone's attention, wanting to push aside anyone that he sees as taking that away from him.” Brian told him.

 

“How did Lindsay and Michael manage to deal with sharing you?” Justin asked.

 

“Until Lindsay got pregnant they each acted like the other didn’t exist. I didn’t see any reason they needed to be around each other since they had nothing in common. Even before Lindsay got pregnant with Gus things were changing. The life I was living wasn’t something I could see continuing. The only people who understood where I was in my life at that point were Emmett and Ted, who were both looking for long term relationships. They both supported me while I searched for Gus.” Brian told him.

 

“Do you think Michael will do what you suggested?” Justin asked.

 

“For the next seventy-two hours, he doesn’t have the choice. What he does after that is his decision, because we have more important things to do.” Brian told him.

 

“Jen, Cara, and I want to make it so both of you can do those things, by letting your family deal with anything here,” Craig told them.

 

“Brian just realized that OUR problems meant us dealing with things together. Give him time to get used to what having a family like ours is like. It’s something I understand because I was raised this way, and I’m having to get used to it again.” Justin told him, getting up leaving Brian with Craig.

 

“I’m trying not to push too hard, but I wasted so much time when I could have been a part of Justin’s life,” Craig told Brian.

 

“You don’t have to do things for me to prove to Justin that it doesn’t bother you that he and I are together,” Brian told him.

 

“As I said, I did it for Gus. But if you had needed me to I would have shown you the father Justin once had can be the father you never did.” Craig told Brian.

 

Chapter 27 by starlight

Brian couldn’t help smiling at Craig waiting for him to get off the plane. After staying to get to know Cara and Craig, Brian, Justin, and Gus returned home. Cynthia, Brian, and Ted ended up running their asses off dealing with all the new business being in Chicago brought them. Justin stayed busy working on his animated series and planning the trip they would be going on after Cara gave birth to Justin’s little brother. All in all, Brian felt good in the last month. Craig and Jen did as they promised and made sure the Petersons stayed out of the adoption. With only a month to go, the specter of Lindsay still hung over them, only in the way that she’d been quiet since taking Craig’s offer. Reese kept an eye on Lindsay, but everything pointed to her enjoying her time in Miami, and trying to become a social butterfly. Brian asked again how much of this was supported through Craig, but apparently, Randolph’s lawyers offered Lindsay a bonus if she stayed away from Texas. That, and using her parent's connections got her into the social scene in Miami. Brian lived in the hope that Miami made her once again forget any ideas she had that she needed to fuck up Gus’s life. 

 

Michael was a whole other issue Brian didn’t bother with. He kept his promise when he told Michael they were through if he didn’t go to the rehab. Michael agreed until he was released, but balked at leaving the hospital. Deb didn’t know what to do, but for once didn’t call Brian, as promised. She wasn’t going to continue the cycle she started with Brian where Michael was concerned. Jen, understanding what it was like to lose a child, decided to help Deb figure out there was life afterward and introduced Deb to Cara. Brian really thought that was what had Craig looking ready to run when he came off the plane. Instead of adding more testosterone, Jen and Cara were trying to increase the estrogen in Craig’s life. 

 

“Smirk you bastard. You just wait until you have to sit in my house having them order you around.” Craig told Brian jokingly. Hugging him as if Brian was his only hope.

 

“What’s Justin doing?” Brian asked since Justin was staying with Craig.

 

“Using your child to shield himself, and when that doesn’t work he brings Emmett and Blake to rescue him. I practically begged to go clubbing with them the other night.” Craig told him.

 

Brian was ready to spend time with Justin and Gus and planned to tell Justin’s new friends that they partied alone. Justin hadn’t gotten upset when Brian needed to be in New York for two weeks to plan the dual campaigns and visited when Brian could get free. Brian knew his life had completely changed, because Justin not being there each night bothered him, not the fact that he didn’t go do the things he would have before he met Justin.

 

“I won’t be any help, Deb raised all of us to obey.” Brian joked, happy that Deb was seeing there was more to life than chasing after Michael.

 

At the house, Cara waved from a kitchen chair as Jen and Deb were making lunch. Brian waved back, looking for Justin. He found him in his father’s bedroom, packing a bag. Brian was confused but didn’t say anything as Justin hefted the bag onto his shoulder.

 

“What are you doing?” Brian asked.

 

“Trying to keep everyone calm for Cara. Do me a favor and distract everyone while I get this into my dad’s car.” Justin said, kissing Brian.

 

Brian got lost in kissing long enough to forget the question he was about to ask and didn’t think of it again until he was doing what Justin asked. It took Cara grabbing his hand, yanking him to sit next to her for him to figure out why Justin was doing what he was. 

 

“Are you?” Brian whispered.

 

“Yes. But I wanted to stay long enough to eat, so shut it.” Cara told him through gritted teeth.

 

“Sweety, it’s almost done, how are you doing?” Deb asked as Brian wondered who he was supposed to be distracting.

 

“Craig,” Jen whispered, wrapping her arms around Brian. 

 

“I promised Cara some manicotti before she dealt with being starved to death,” Deb told him.

 

“Why would Cara be starved to death? Since you’ve been visiting I’ve put on ten pounds.” Craig said, smiling at Deb.

 

“Honey, you’ll be happy when Cara has the baby. From what Jen and Cara tell me, cooking never made it into your skill set.” Deb told him.

 

“If you’d just agree to let me hire you it won’t have to be part of mine either.” Cara joked.

 

“You don’t hire your family,” Jen said, linking arms with Deb.

 

All was going well until Cara finished the last bite of her food. Craig was clueless. Brian figured out why none of them wanted Craig to know. When he realized what was going on he practically yanked Cara out of her chair trying to run her to the car. Brian managed to help get her in the car and promised to follow behind them to the hospital with the rest of the group. Justin called Emmett to let him know and told Brian in the car that Molly was staying behind with Gus until the baby was born before bringing him. Brian, having a vague idea about birth taking a while, didn’t see what the problem with having Gus there would be. He figured it out when they were in the waiting room and watched parents trying to entertain their kids while waiting for hours.

 

Justin sat with Craig, who had no problem with Jen and Deb helping Cara through the delivery. When Brian asked about it, he was told that apparently, blood was something Craig didn’t do well around. After the first hour went by, Brian went for coffee for them. The second hour Justin got up to check and told his father and Brian he’d be back with more coffee. Brian got up to go find Justin when it seemed to take him forever to get back. He had to wonder if pregnant women were Justin’s weakness when he saw him sitting with a woman who was pretty far along. It wasn’t until he got closer that he realized the woman was his sister, Claire. Then his only thought was getting Justin away from her. Brian didn’t want Justin to ever meet his family. Because he knew Justin had a soft heart, and Claire preyed on that weakness in people. Claire’s tears didn’t have any effect on Brian, but he knew them for what they were. He didn’t want her to realize who she was talking to, but there was no way to avoid it if he wanted to get Justin away from her.

 

“Justin,” Brian said not looking at Claire.

 

“Hey. Sorry about the coffee, but she looked upset.” Justin said, hoping Brian would understand.

 

“Let’s go,” Brian said abruptly, only looking at Claire dismissively.

 

“Do you two know each other?” Justin asked when he noticed Brian’s less than warm look when he turned it at the poor woman Justin had found crying.

 

“You could say that. And you could also say I wouldn’t be in this mess if it wasn’t for him.” Claire told Justin, scowling at Brian.

 

“What am I missing?” Justin said, getting up and going to Brian.

 

“Absolutely nothing,” Brian said, making Justin wonder where the cold-hearted asshole just came from.

 

“Wait. What do you mean Brian’s the reason?” Justin asked.

 

“He’s the reason everything in my life sucks. Right, brother dear?” Claire sneered at Brian.

 

“She’s your sister?” Justin asked, puzzled at how she could blame Brian for her problems.

 

“Not by choice, but then I didn’t have many when it came to being born a Kinney,” Brian told him.

 

“Let’s go,” Justin told him, not liking anything about the family that treated Brian the way he was treated.

 

“Don’t you want to know why this is Brian’s fault?” Clair taunted.

 

“No. Because from everything Brian’s told me about you and your mother, nothing you say is worth my time to listen to.” Justin told her, wanting to get Brian away from her.

 

“You might want to ask him why I’m pregnant,” Claire said, pointing to Brian.

 

“Because as usual, you wanted to trap some loser into supporting your ass,” Brian told her, turning his back on her.

 

“No. For once I wanted to help you and your REAL boyfriend. Not the idiot your romancing to get the other kid.” Claire yelled, stopping both Brian and Justin.

 

“Don’t let her get to you,” Justin told him, not wanting to let his sister hurt Brian.

 

“The only real anything in my life is Justin, and there’s only one person who would think otherwise. So whatever Michael told you, take it as his fairytale wishes.” Brian told her.

 

“Yes, do that. Because my son tends toward wishing his lies were the truth.” Deb told her, turning to Brian. “Boys, both of you need to go meet your brother,” Deb told them, waiting until they left to deal with Claire for Brian. “Leave him alone, he’s happy and finally has a reason to be happy,” Deb told her.

 

“Fuck him. I did this for him, and he still treats me like shit.” Claire told her, holding her stomach.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” Deb asked.

 

“Michael wanted to give Brian what he wanted, Grandma.” Claire sneered at her.

 

“Again, what are you talking about?” Deb asked, not liking what she was starting to suspect.

 

“This baby. Michael said Brian wanted one but didn’t think I would do it for them.” She told Deb, sitting down.

 

Deb, wanting to figure this out to help Brian, not her son, adopted her caring mother persona for Claire. She knew sympathy was what Claire waited for in order to get what she wanted.

 

“I only want to help you, but you need to explain what my son told you,” Deb said holding Claire’s hand.

 

“I only wanted to show Brian that I love him. So when Michael came to me a year ago telling me Brian wanted a baby, one with Michael, I agreed to help Brian be happy like you said.” Claire said practically in tears. Not that Deb had any sympathy for her or the rest of the Kinney family.

 

“First thing. Yes, Brian wanted a baby, but he wanted the baby he lost when Lindsay didn’t take no for an answer. He has never, at any time, wanted Michael, or a baby with Michael. Second. If this is Michael’s child, then the only people responsible for this baby will be you and Michael. Brian won’t be helping in any way. Do we understand each other? I will not have Brian financing your life any more than he should anyone else's other than the family he’s making with Justin. Which I’m sure is what you and my son talked about happening. Not you wanting to make Brian happy. Trust me, nothing my son does is done to make Brian anything but miserable.” Deb told her.

 

“Then he shouldn’t have told Michael he wanted to be a father. Michael and I had an agreement, and Brian isn’t getting out of this because of the whore he’s fucking around with.” Claire told her.

 

“Justin is Brian’s life. So listen to me carefully when I say this again. That baby won’t have Brian opening his checkbook for you. He never wanted anything with Michael. And understand one more thing, if this child is Michael’s, you won’t be dealing with Brian, but with me.” Deb told her.

 

“From what Michael says you aren’t much of a mother, turning on him. If you want this thing, then be ready to do what I expected from Brian to get it.” Claire told her.

 

“What about Michael?” Deb asked.

 

“Michael said it was time for Brian to remember all the promises he made to him. I came here to make sure the whore doesn’t get any ideas. I honestly don’t care what any of you say, Brian will be taking care of this.” Claire told her, getting up to leave.

 

“How would Michael know we’d be here?” Deb asked.

 

“Brian calls him and tells him everything so Michael doesn’t get discouraged about Brian forcing himself to stay with the whore,” Claire said, looking behind Deb at Justin standing there. “I feel sorry for you. You fell for the shit my brother does to get what he wanted. Michael told me to tell you to ask why Brian wanted custody while leaving you without anything.” Claire smirked before walking away.

 

“Justin, don’t listen to her,” Deb said when Justin looked confused.

 

“I wasn’t. I know why Brian and I did what we did. Brian having custody wasn’t about Brian but about Gus. What I don’t get is why she hates Brian so much.” Justin told her, as they walked back.

 

“Because he didn’t end up a loser like the rest of them, and she resents him for it. She also hates that he’ll help his mother but not her. It’s greed, nothing more.” Deb told him.

 

“What about the baby? I know Brian didn’t ask Michael to do it, but still, who’s baby is it?” Justin asked her.

 

“If she’s telling the truth, it’s Michael’s,” Deb said, worried.

 

“Would you want her or Michael raising a baby?” Justin asked.

 

“No. But all I can do is be there to help when they both fail. God knows, Joan won’t be any help.” Deb told him, thinking about the enormity of what Michael’s done now.

 

“I know what your thinking, but you can’t,” Justin told her.

 

“It’s my grandchild,” Deb told him.

 

“WHAT?” Brian asked, overhearing her.

 

“Claire told me it’s Michael’s,” Deb told him.

 

“We’ll talk about this after. Today is about our family.” Brian told her, as Craig came in carrying the baby.

 

“Justin, meet your brother, Colin,” Craig said, handing the baby to Justin.

 

Brian let go of anything but celebrating the new life in front of them. When Gus and Molly came they were able to go meet the baby in Cara’s room. He put his arm around Deb as she beamed at the new life in the room. Brian knew she was worried about the one Michael carelessly made, not once thinking about what would happen when nothing he planned would be what he wanted.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 28 by starlight

Justin watched as Brian was saying the right things and trying not to show how he truly felt about the latest stunt Michael had pulled and including Brian’s sister in his scheme. It was just that Justin knew when Brian was happy, sad, or excited, and he also knew when the man he loved was trying to deal with something on his own. They’d had this discussion, and while they both agreed that anything that involved either of them needed to involve both of them; in this case though, the problem really shouldn’t affect Brian, Justin, and Gus. Then Justin thought about how he would have felt if it had been his sister and someone he thought of as a brother, and would, in the end, affect Brian’s surrogate mother. With his mother and step-mother being friends with Deb, Justin’s family was concerned. 

 

Jen didn’t like the way Deb was going to end up responsible for another one of Michael’s idiotic ideas. None of them could figure out why Michael thought this would bring Brian back to where Michael wanted him. She and Deb went in search of Claire, and on Deb’s suggestion wanted to see what Joan knew. Justin went with them, not to introduce himself to the woman who gave birth to the man he loved, but out of curiosity. Justin didn’t feel the need to inform Joan of Brian’s current life since Justin knew that Brian didn’t have any interest in her knowing about either him or Gus. When the door opened Justin studied Joan Kinney, looking for Brian in the woman who bore him, meanwhile watching Joan’s look of disgust when she saw Deb standing there. She looked even less happy to see Jen and didn’t even look at Justin. Joan looked past them as if worried about people seeing them on her doorstep. When Justin looked around he did notice people looking, but almost as if they were confused that someone was standing on Joan Kinney’s sagging porch. They were reluctantly let in, and Joan pretty much seemed to know why they were there.

 

“I will not be saddled with another child from that worthless daughter of mine,” Joan told Deb.

 

“I’ll gladly help with the child. It’s not the baby’s fault that the parents are greedy, selfish human beings.” Deb told her.

 

“Claire told me Brian talked them both into it. It would be just like him to cause problems and run away from them.” Joan told her.

 

It took everything in Justin not correct Joan, but he had the feeling it would fall on deaf ears. He stood silently behind his mother and Deb, looking around and trying to find pictures of Brian as a child. Which wasn’t likely when the walls were covered in religious icons and crosses. The empty liquor bottles and the fact that she smelled like a distillery pretty much made talking to her fruitless. 

 

“Brian has nothing to do with what your daughter and Deb’s son did.” Jen corrected her, not liking anyone throwing blame at Brian.

 

“Who is she?” Joan asked Deb, completely ignoring Jen.

 

“I can speak for myself, and my name happens to be Jennifer Taylor. Before you question my place to say anything to you, I happen to know Brian quite well and I also know he didn’t ask for what Claire and Michael cooked up all on their own for their own reasons.” Jen told her.

 

“Michael and Claire came up with this all on their own. I’m worried about the baby, and the fact that Brian doesn’t need to end up trying to deal with this when he has his own family. Between the two best friends, I’m not sure which one was worse.” Deb told her.

 

“If Brian had done right by Lindsay…” Joan started to say before Deb raised her hand to stop the morality speech.

 

“Brian didn’t ask for what Lindsay did, but then you probably approved since you did the same thing to trap your husband,” Deb told her.

 

“At least if he had done the right thing he would have followed God’s path,” Joan told her.

 

“Really? Was that how you rationalized getting pregnant to land a husband? That you followed God’s path. I never read that passage in the bible.” Deb told her.

 

“Why are you here?” Joan asked, changing the subject.

 

“I want you to deliver a message to your daughter. Tell her that this child will not be used to hold another man hostage. In this case, my son and your daughter are the only ones who will support this child. I will not help in any way unless the child is in my care. This will not open Brian’s wallet or his life to either of them.” Deb told her.

 

“And I care, why?” Joan asked them, opening the door.

 

“I didn’t think you did if it didn’t involve Brian supporting you. But you help them and that’s likely the last time Brian will supplement your income.” Deb told her.

 

“He needs to remember that I’m still his mother,” Joan told her as if that meant eternal support from Brian.

 

“Why would he, when you forgot that part of being a mother was protecting your son?” Deb asked her.

 

“In comparison to the child you raised, I don’t think you have room to talk.” Joan sneered.

 

Jen pulled Deb out the door when she started charging toward Joan. It wasn’t the easiest thing to do, but Jen managed to keep them apart. Justin slowly walked behind them, taking in the house and the woman who gave him Brian. He had no plans to confront her or even talk to her, but he just couldn’t walk off without saying anything.

 

“If you really object to Brian’s life, then you should trust in God to take care of you, and not the sinner you think Brian is,” Justin told her.

 

“Honor your mother,” Joan told him, shaking her fist at him.

 

“Yes, I’ve read that quote too. But it doesn’t say ‘pay for your mother’, but then I’m sure you think it does.” Justin told her.

 

“Who are you to think you can have an opinion on my arrangement with MY SON,” Joan asked.

 

“Your future son-in-law,” Justin told her with a smirk, leaving her standing there in shock.

 

Justin walked toward Deb and Jen, who were both laughing when Joan turned grey and didn’t seem to know what to say to that. Justin stopped and turned, staring at Joan when she rushed off the porch, intent on raining fire and brimstone on him.

 

“Before you even think that anything you say would matter to me, it won’t. Because I have a feeling that Brian and I going to hell would be better than spending one day in heaven with you.” Justin told her, leading his mother and Deb to the car.

 

Brian’s mood improved when Gus was confused at how Colin was his uncle when he was younger than Gus. Craig sat with Gus on his lap and explained it, letting Gus ask any questions he had. 

 

Brian wanted answers too and knew it would be easier to get them with Deb, Jen, and Justin gone. Craig understood and didn’t stop Brian from leaving and trying to get answers. 

 

Claire still lived in the same house with John and Peter. Brian hadn’t really seen the boys after they made their feelings clear about Brian’s lifestyle and his lack of donating to them like a charity. John opened the door, looking almost relieved to see Brian. It got even more confusing when Peter smiled as if Brian being there was an answer to some prayer.

 

“Where’s your mother?” Brian asked.

 

“We don’t know,” John told him, sitting down next to Peter.

 

“Is she coming home soon?” Brian asked.

 

“We don’t know, she doesn’t really tell us.” Peter blurted out.

 

“She acts like we don’t exist anymore. Apparently having this baby is going to give her the life our worthless father didn’t.” John mumbles.

 

“How long have you two been left alone?” Brian asked, not sure if he wanted the answer.

 

“She comes by long enough to drop off food and make sure no one thinks we’re alone,” Peter told Brian, as John tried to stop him.

 

“Do you know anything about where she is?” Brian asked.

 

 

“She showed up yesterday, saying she needed to find the guy who told her that you wanted a baby. Then she said something about she better get what she was promised.” Peter told him, ignoring John.

 

“I already know they think I’m going to support them and the kid. Which isn’t something I agreed to.” Brian told them both.

 

“We can’t do it,” John told him.

 

“Why would you think you would have to?” Brian asked.

 

“Because who else will? My mother, who doesn’t even take care of us?” John said sarcastically.

 

Brian felt a headache coming on in the form of two nephews who never liked him. But he couldn’t leave them there. 

 

“Do me a favor and pack some things for a few days until I find out what’s going on,” Brian told them, knowing he needed Justin here.

 

“Where are we going?” Peter asked, not at all upset to be leaving.

 

“I need to talk to a couple of people first, then I’ll have an answer,” Brian told them.

 

Brian was thankful for the first time that Mel knew family law backward and forward. When he called her, she didn’t sugar coat the next steps and told him to stay there while she made a call and then she would be on her way. Brian wasn’t sure what the plan would be, he only knew that he couldn’t leave them on their own. When he called Justin and explained the situation, Justin just asked for the address. When the police arrived with child services in tow, John and Peter were asked questions, which Peter answered when John wouldn’t.

 

Looking through the kitchen, they found that Claire at least made sure there was food. What she didn’t seem to understand was the boys were too young to be left to fend for themselves. John didn’t understand why it was a big deal since he always took care of Peter when Claire wasn’t around. Justin arrived in time to hear John tell them that and tried not to show how upset he was at John’s warped thinking.

 

Mel pulled them both to the living room, and John gave the police officer the number Claire left for them to call her on. Even from the living room Brian and Justin could hear Claire yelling, wanting to know what the boys did, before hanging up after the cop told her it was about her children being left alone without a parent. 

 

Claire showed up an hour later with Michael in tow. Both tried to convince the police and child services that John and Peter were lying. They even tried to play that they were a couple, with Claire complaining that the boys were jealous of the baby and trying to cause problems. Michael couldn’t take his eyes off Brian and got angry when he repeatedly whispered to Justin, ignoring Michael. Claire was sobbing as if she was the victim, and that’s when John broke.

 

“Give it a rest, Mother, the only thing you care about is making Uncle Brian pay, the same way you said our dad should have to for making you put up with us,” John said, sounding tired and like the ten-year-old he was.

 

“That’s not true, he didn’t want to be a father, but I refused to give you two up,” Claire told him.

 

“I know, if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have been born. You tell me that every day, along with how I should be thankful that you didn’t let him convince you to abort me.” John told her.

 

Justin felt Brian stiffen, and made Brian look at him. Justin didn’t know what caused Brian’s reaction, but he didn’t like the look in Brian’s eyes.

 

“It’s what my mother always said to me,” Brian whispered to him.

 

“And Claire uses it the way your mother did?” Justin asked, knowing the answer.

 

“What are you even doing here?” Claire asked, redirecting her anger. “I bet he came here and made my boys lie,” Claire said in the direction of the police officer, pointing at Brian.

 

“He came to find you. I just told him the truth, that you barely come home.” Peter told him.

 

“I’m not allowed to have a life?” Claire asked, stalking over Peter.

 

“Mrs. Townson, we are concerned and have asked a few neighbors, who all corroborate what the boys have been telling us. They’ve noticed the boys are alone more often than not. What we’d like to do is sit down and explain exactly how this works.” The child services worker, Amy didn’t get that Claire wasn’t going to believe anything she did was wrong.

 

“The neighbors have always hated me, and my brother would do anything to make me look bad,” Claire told her.

 

“Your brother hasn’t said anything to us. This is about you and the boys, and from what I’m seeing and hearing, the boys aren’t being taken care of, but instead, are having to take care of themselves.” She told Claire.

 

“I’m all they have. My mother is a drunk, their father a deadbeat, and their uncle doesn’t give a shit about any of us. Brian owes me and Michael for this baby, but like everything else in his life he ignores his responsibilities and runs off to play house away from us. Why I’m surprised is anyone's guess. He can help Mother get her sherry, but not make sure my boys have what they need.” Claire ranted.

 

The police officers and Amy were confused at why Claire seemed to expect Brian to support her children. 

 

“I don’t think I understand why Mr Kinney should be responsible for supporting your children. Could you please explain that to me?” Amy asked.

 

“He owes it to us.” Michael butted in.

 

“Actually Brian doesn’t owe you anything, and trust me if you two try to blackmail him into supporting this latest stunt you pulled you’ll be dealing with me,” Mel told them.

 

“Blackmail?” Amy asked.

 

“I’ll explain it later if the two of them pursue this. Right now we need to know what you plan to do with the boys.” Mel told her.

 

“Until we investigate, the boys will have to be removed from your care,” Amy told Claire, gently.

 

“There is nothing to investigate, I’m here and the boys need to tell you the truth!” Claire told her.

 

“Do you really want me to?” Peter asked, staring down Claire.

 

“I guess you boys like staying with your grandmother.” Claire threatened, making Amy frown.

 

“Get your hands off him,” Michael said, charging at Justin, who was holding Brian’s hand.

 

“Michael!” Claire shrieked.

 

“I’m sick and tired of not getting what should have been mine. I’ve put up with you demanding to stay anywhere but with your brats. Then you couldn’t even do what I told you and make sure this blond shit understands it’s time to get out of Brian’s life. I’ve had to deal with fucking Lindsay’s parents just to get the information on where MY boyfriend is.” Michael ranted.

 

“I thought you two were trying to convince everyone you were a couple.” Mel smarted off.

 

“Fuck you too! If you’d given Lindsay what she wanted, she wouldn’t have thought that having Brian’s kid was her ticket to his money.” Michael shouted at her, as he was escorted out of the house.

 

“Just take them to their grandmother. Maybe some time with my mother the drunk will make them see how good they had it here.” Claire told Amy, stomping to her bedroom and slamming the door.

 

“What happens to us now?” Peter asked Brian nervously.

 

“Is it true what she said about the grandmother?” Amy asked.

 

“It’s probably the only truthful thing she said,” Brian told her, looking to Justin.

 

“We could take them tonight. We don’t live here, but my family won’t mind. We could take them to live with us but we live in Chicago and I don’t know if that makes a difference.” Justin told her.

 

“They both have the means to bring the boys back anytime they need to be here if they take the boys with them. I talked to the judge who is helping them in with an adoption, and they are qualified to foster. I can have anything you need to be faxed to you tonight.” Mel told Amy.

 

“It would be easier on the boys to be with someone they know,” Amy told them.

 

“I’ll call Reese and see if we can locate their father. He didn’t leave because of you boys.” Brian told John and Peter.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 29 by starlight

After talking with Amy, Brian and Justin left with John and Peter. Claire wasn’t losing custody of the boys, just separating from them temporarily in hopes of helping them find their way back to being a family. Brian didn’t tell her she was likely not going to get Claire to believe anything she did was wrong. Justin called ahead and explained the situation to his father and was told they would be happy to help with the boys. Once again Brian worried about how his problems seemed to end up in the Taylors laps again. Cara was waiting at the door to meet the boys and introduced them to Colin and Gus. Both boys were confused at their welcome by strangers but did their best to behave, which Brian was thankful for. Craig called Brian and Justin, saying he had something he needed to talk to them about but welcomed Peter and John before leaving them with Cara and Jen.

 

“What happened?” Craig asked.

 

“My sister was proving she learned child rearing from my mother. Although she at least made sure they had food, and as far as I could tell they aren’t being abused the way I was.” Brian told him, laying it out there since they were going to need all the help they could get.

 

“Are the boys being taken away from her?” Craig asked.

 

“No. But it’s likely because the boys weren’t being hurt, just ignored.” Justin told him.

 

“This means what for you two?” Craig asked.

 

“Not really sure, but we have permission to take them with us until Claire shows she can do better,” Brian told him.

 

“Which won’t be easy with the schedule you two have ahead of you. You’re both going to be busy in the next few months with Brian’s new campaign, Gus would have to share both of you with the boys, and the custody case is still going on.” Craig pointed out.

 

“What else can we do, Dad? If we don’t take them, then it’s foster care. Neither of us wants that to happen just because it’s inconvenient for us.” Justin told him.

 

“You still have to think about yourselves and Gus. Which isn’t you both being selfish. That’s why Cara and I have an offer that will help everyone.” Craig told them.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“Let Cara and I take the boys. We’re established here, and it will make it so there aren’t huge changes in the boys' lives. Before you argue, this will also help us convince Deb to quit the diner, because we’ll need help with a new baby and two boys.” Craig told them.

 

“Then that leaves you and Cara dealing with something that has nothing to do with you.” Brian pointed out.

 

“Unlike you two, we aren’t needed to do other things. Let me explain why I think this would be a better solution, okay? We really care about Deb and about both of you, which means we care about anything that affects all of you. With what Deb’s son and your sister are doing, I want to be able to help Deb when it comes to the new baby, but with her job at the diner, she can’t make a case that she could take care of a baby on her own. If she comes to work for us, then we can make sure her situation would be ideal when the baby arrives. She could bring the baby here and still have a job to take care of herself. We’ll be offering her enough that she wouldn’t need assistance to take on the baby. But you know her, she isn’t going to take a job from us if she thinks we’re offering her charity. If we take on Peter and John, she knows the job is real.” Craig told them.

 

“If Claire gets them back…” Brian said, sounding doubtful about that.

 

“Then she does, but with the understanding that our home is open to the boys when they need us,” Craig told them.

 

“I don’t want Peter or John to think I abandoned them,” Brian told him.

 

“We’ll explain to them that as a family we all look out for the ones we love. If they want to stay with you then we’ll work out together how to do that for them.” Justin told him.

 

“Brian, allowing them to stay with us means fewer changes in their lives. They won’t have to switch schools unless they agree to it, and Cara gets to see what we have to look forward to when Colin gets older.” Craig joked.

 

“Let’s explain it to John and Peter, along with the offer that we have no problem if they want to stay with us,” Justin told Brian.

 

Brian walked in the kitchen to see John and Peter being fed by Deb, while Cara was on the phone. Cara nodded to Craig when she hung up.

 

“We should have an answer by tomorrow if they can stay with us,” Cara told Craig.

 

“Us?” John asked looking to Brian.

 

“I thought we were going to stay with you?” Peter asked.

 

“You can if that’s what you both want to do. We’re just looking into all the options.” Justin told him.

 

“Because you didn’t want to be saddled with us,” John said, looking disappointed.

 

“That’s not why. My wife and I think it would be easier for both of you to stay with us. Brian and Justin have a hectic schedule coming up and I suggested you both stay here. Their work is going to take them away from home, which will make it complicated for them to be able to get you two back and forth. Cara and I have room in our home and will also be able to be here if this happens again with your mother.” Craig told them.

 

“Why would you care about us?” John asked.

 

“Because I didn’t care enough about Justin at one time and know that what I did hurt him. I was lucky that I managed to figure out what was important before Justin completely gave up on me. I also know nothing should ever be more important than taking care of the people we love. Which includes both of you, because Brian does love you, even if you don’t believe it. For me and Cara having you here isn’t a burden but a chance to show you how a real family treats one another. In the end, it’s still yours and Peter’s decision where you’ll be. If you want to stay with Brian and Justin, they are both willing to do what you need but staying here you both will get a chance to know us, and know that if there are any problems our door is always open to you and Peter.” Craig told them.

 

“You think she’ll get us back?” Peter asked.

 

“If she does what the state requires, then likely yes. But you’ll also know you have a safety net and people you can trust right here. Brian and I won’t be abandoning you, but what my father suggests makes sense because you're dealing with a lot of changes right now.” Justin told them.

 

“I don’t understand why my mom acts as she does,” Peter said in a small voice.

 

“I wish I had an answer for you, but the reasons people do things are never as simple as we like to believe. One thing I do know is that change is possible if someone wants it enough.” Craig tells them.

 

“What if my mom doesn’t?” John asked.

 

“Then I’ll do what I can to show you that we will,” Brian told them.

 

“What about my dad? You said he didn’t leave because of us, but he never called again after he left.” John asked.

 

“We’ll get the answer to that when I find him,” Brian promised.

 

“We can stay here. But what if we don’t like it?” Peter questioned.

 

“Then you’ll come to stay with Brian and me,” Justin told them.

 

Emmett showed up with Reese a couple of hours later, with the information on John Townsend. His situation wasn’t one where he could take the boys, but he wanted contact with them. Reese managed to get out of him that he was barely scraping by, which was actually because he sent every cent he could to Claire for the boys. Brian wanted to offer to help him, but John was a proud man and wouldn’t use Brian the way Claire had been. Craig offered him a job to help him out, and so the boys would get to know their father. Brian made sure John understood that the boys would stay with them until he got on his feet. Brian wanted the boys to feel the love the Taylor family was giving him and Gus before another change was made to their lives. 

 

Justin arranged for them to stay at a hotel for the night. He wanted to make sure Brian could have time alone with the boys, and give them a chance to know the Brian he knew. Gus was thrilled to have his cousins hang out with him. Justin also wanted to give them a chance to decide what they wanted without feeling like their lives were being decided for them. What his father offered made sense, but what the boys wanted had to be considered too.

 

“Grandma knew about Gus, but how did Justin get involved?” John asked.

 

“Justin was raising Gus as his son. The mother took off and left Gus with him.” Brian told him.

 

“So Justin brought him to you?” John asked.

 

“He didn’t know he did at the time. We just met and after a while figured out that Gus was my son. Then I realized I wanted the father too.” Brian told him, smiling.

 

“Why does Michael keep saying you were using Justin to get Gus?” Peter asked.

 

“When did he say that?” John asked.

 

“When Mom screamed at him about what they were supposed to do with the kid he convinced her to have. He told her Uncle Brian and he planned for Brian to do what it took to get Gus away from Justin. Then him and Uncle Brian would be together and she’d have what she wanted.” Peter told them.

 

“What did she want?” Justin asked.

 

“Michael said he’d make sure Uncle Brian gave her anything she wanted the day she signed the baby over to them. Mom’s not big on supporting herself.” Peter told him.

 

“Which I don’t get, because as much as Grandma and Mom complain about you, they don’t seem to mind using what you work for to support themselves. I mean you came from the same place but you didn’t let it drag you down. Yet they use it as an excuse for everything.” John told him.

 

“I wanted more in life,” Brian told him.

 

“I guess we have that in common,” John replied.

 

“What do you do Justin?” Peter asked when everyone got quiet.

 

“I write the comic Rage,” Justin told him.

 

“NO WAY!! That’s like our favorite comic.” Peter screeched.

 

Brian laughed when they bombarded Justin with questions. He liked seeing the boys act like boys for a change. Justin worked his magic and the boys managed to stop worrying for now.

 

Chapter 30 by starlight

Brian wanted to meet with John Townsend before he saw his sons, and asked Justin to let him do it alone. It wasn’t that Brian thought John would have a problem with Justin and his relationship; he knew it was Claire who really had the problem. Claire played to her audience throughout their lives. Alone, she acted as if she supported Brian’s lifestyle, but would change her opinion to fit her audience. Brian was still trying to figure out how it worked between her and Michael, who both wanted to be center stage for their audience. 

 

John walked into Brian’s office, still the humble man he was when Claire trapped him into marriage. Brian knew Claire only saw John as a means to get out from under their parents. Before Claire, John had always been, if not a strong man, at least one who was well-liked in their neighborhood. He had plans to go to college and to get out of the neighborhood as Brian did. John hadn’t joined in with Claire when he found out that Brian was gay, instead, he acted like it didn’t change the relationship he and Brian had when in the same room. It’s why Brian was willing to give him the chance to be with his sons. Spending time with the boys had helped Brian to see that they needed attention. Which was the one thing Claire, being self-centered, couldn’t give them.

 

“How are my boys?” John asked, sitting down.

 

“Both are doing well right now. They want to see you.” Brian told him.

 

“I feel like I’ve failed them.” He answered Brian.

 

“They thought you didn’t want anything to do with them,” Brian told him.

 

“And I let them think that because it was easier than dealing with Claire and her tantrums. Which doesn’t excuse me for not at least trying to see them. Do they hate me?” John asked.

 

“It’s the reverse, they think you hate them,” Brian told him.

 

“Which I’m sure my absence made it easier for them to believe. How bad was it for them?” John asked.

 

“Claire didn’t abuse them physically, and she took care of physical needs. But like our parents, she was vacant when it came to anything else.” Brian answered.

 

“Is she fighting you on this?” He asked.

 

“So far she isn’t willing to admit she did anything wrong. The boys were fed, clothed, and had a roof over their heads. Which to her fulfilled her duty. Right now she’s pregnant, and banking on the baby to do what she tells the boys you didn’t do for them.” Brian told John.

 

“But she will likely find some way to blame all her problems on you. She spent our whole marriage blaming you for her not getting anywhere in life. She became obsessed that you should have paid for our lives. It caused her to throw me out when I told her that instead of whining she should get off her ass and do what you did.” John shrugged.

 

“She thinks this baby is going to do that for her, which caused her to leave John and Peter alone and this whole situation to happen,” Brian told him.

 

“Why aren’t they staying with you?” He asked.

 

“We left the decision up to the boys, and right now my partner’s father and stepmother can offer them the stability my life can’t. My business is about to kick up into high gear, taking me away from the states right now. And while our son is still young and can go with Justin and me, John and Peter have school and social services to deal with. Claire isn’t going to lose custody; what she’s done isn’t the worst neglect they’ve seen, but she didn’t help herself by threatening the boys in front of the caseworker.” Brian informed John.

 

“With Joan?” He asked.

 

“Of course. But you also need to know Claire constantly tells John that you wanted her to have an abortion, and like my mother, how she refused to do it. Making her sound as if she saved him when you wished he didn’t exist.” Brian said, still reeling from hearing it out of Claire’s mouth.

 

“I didn’t want a baby when Claire first told me, but I never once asked that of her. My parents weren’t happy about my irresponsibility, but never once was that brought up as a way to deal with what Claire and I did.” John admitted.

 

“I’m sure it was having you linked to my family that your parents didn’t like.” Brian told him.

 

“Not many in the neighborhood wanted any link to your family. But at first, I didn’t see the Claire I ended up marrying. She managed to make me believe she wasn’t like your mother or father, and in a way, I felt sorry for her for the way no one wanted anything to do with her. I befriended her hoping to help her, then thought I could love her in the way she needed. I felt like a hero in her eyes. Something that I never felt like before or after we were married. I stayed for the boys, but eventually left for them. They didn’t need to see in their home turn into what you and Claire had to live with growing up, and I was close to showing that to them. I knew if I didn’t get out and get some help, I might become the man I despised for making Claire who she was.” John said, looking down at the floor, ashamed to admit it.

 

“Did you ever…?” Brian stopped, not wanting to say what John already knew the old man was like.

 

“No, but I wanted to, and that made me leave. I was scared that I could even think that, and scared that I wanted to lash out at the boys for my mistakes.” He told Brian.

 

“That’s the difference between you and my father. He saw it as his right. What I need to know is are you still scared? Because you will have to deal with Claire.” Brian asked, wanting John to realize how different that made John from Jack.

 

“I got help and I refuse to let the boys ever think they have to pay for our mistakes. Now I just need to show them that I won’t make another one where they are concerned. It’s easier now because I know the real Claire, and now I won’t fall into the traps she sets.” He told him.

 

“The boys need to know they have safety nets; which they didn’t until now. They didn’t think they could depend on me either, which is why they didn’t try to get any help.” Brian told him.

 

“Then why are they staying with this Craig Taylor?” He asked.

 

“After talking about it with my partner, Justin, and his father Craig, we all agreed that less change happening in their lives would be better. Craig lives in Pittsburgh, along with his wife, and Justin’s mother, who are all willing to be there to help with the boys. Craig is working on convincing Deb, the grandmother of Claire’s baby, to help out. The boys need to see what a real family can be like, and know that they are now and always will be, a part of that family. Justin, Gus, and I don’t live in Pittsburgh, and as I mentioned before we both have other commitments that wouldn’t give the boys the security they need when everything in their lives is upside down right now. It also means my son wouldn’t get the attention from Justin and I that we want him to have.” Brian said, to give John a reason to see the Craig he did.

 

“You believe your… Justin’s family, is the answer?” He asked.

 

“My… Our family, has proven time and time again that the only thing they want is to love the family. The boys won’t feel like intruders in their lives because no one sees them as anything but two boys who need to be shown a different way families operate. Something Craig Taylor has done by becoming the father he once was to Justin, before he let Justin being gay be the only thing he saw.” Brian told him.

 

“He told me about what he did to Justin and the life he missed because of his willful blindness.” John told Brian.

 

“I’m sure he told you to make you see leaving the boys to a woman you couldn’t live with was one of your biggest mistakes. It’s something you are going to have to help them understand. I know you had your own difficulties to deal with, but in the end, you walked away from your responsibility to them. They need you to give them a reason to believe that you won’t do that to them again.” Brian tells him.

 

“I don’t plan to do it again, but I also never wanted to feel like I owe others for the things I get.” He said, still worried about it.

 

“Craig doesn’t think you owe him more than helping him and his wife with your sons. The job is real, and dependent on you to keep it. If it makes you feel better, once you’re on your feet you can pay me rent for the loft you’ll be using. Which doesn’t cost me a thing because I own it. Craig and I are not helping you for any reason other than that your sons want you to be a part of their lives. By accepting the help, you make it possible for them.” Brian told him.

 

“I owe them to be the father they should have had in me.” He answered.

 

“Yes, you do. But make sure they don’t think you see them as a burden, but that you are doing this because you love them.” Brian tells him.

 

Justin left Gus with his mom while he took Molly out shopping. They wanted to allow Peter and John time with Craig and Cara. Daphne was meeting them for lunch between her classes. Justin wanted to spend time with Molly, who hadn’t complained once about all the chaos surrounding them. She welcomed John and Peter and invited them to hang out with her when they wanted to. Justin was proud of Molly for the person she was. She didn’t turn her nose up at the boys, like other kids might. Instead, she planned to become their champion if anyone treated them badly. 

 

“It’s too bad they can’t transfer to my school.” Molly mentioned, looking at a shirt that their father would kill him if he bought her.

 

“Molly, I don’t think they’d like St James.” He told her.

 

“I think the assholes who think they’re so special need to see real life.” Molly told him.

 

“Are you having problems?” Justin asked, mad at himself for not asking her how she’d been.

 

“At first, when Mom and Dad divorced I did, but Mom and Cara dealt with it for me.” She told him.

 

“How?” He asked.

 

“They became friends, and made sure if anyone wanted to snub me they were equally snubbed by both of them. I think they forgot who Mom was, and Dad managed to marry a woman who they didn’t want to get on the bad side of either. That’s when I stopped giving Cara a hard time for loving Dad when I didn’t. For a while, I didn’t know how to deal with it.” She told him.

 

“Loving them both?” Justin asked.

 

“It just felt like I would hurt Mom by liking Cara. It was also that I wanted to hurt Dad by not liking anyone he married and making his life hell for what he did to you.” She told him.

 

 

“It’s hard to believe sometimes that Dad and I managed to make up.” Justin told her, as they made their way to the deli where they were meeting Daphne.

 

Justin and Molly sat outside waiting for Daphne, both quiet and lost in their own thoughts when Molly decided to bring up their mother.

 

“Mom didn’t want to push it, you know? It’s why she didn’t tell you anything had changed with him. She wanted him to prove himself to you.” She told him.

 

“I wouldn’t have believed it if she had told me. Which means she knew what she was doing. I wasn’t ready to risk him being around Gus or Brian, so if he hadn’t made the first move, I doubt I would have.” He told her.

 

“I heard that meeting was uncomfortable.” She giggled.

 

“It also told me he was willing to try, since he admitted how uncomfortable he was.” He told her.

 

“I doubt it would matter if Brian had been a woman. My parents still want to believe I’m a virgin.” Daphne commented, kissing Molly’s cheek and Justin’s before sitting down. 

 

“You aren’t?” Justin asked jokingly.

 

“Of course I am.” Daphne joked as if shocked, making Molly giggle.

 

“I miss this, being with both of you.” Molly told them.

 

“Hey! You mean hanging out with me wasn’t enough?” Daphne asked, pretending to be offended.

 

“Now I have to hang out with you and my new boys.” Molly told her.

 

“And what do you think of the new boys?” Daphne asked, making Justin want to run from the table.

 

“They’re shy right now. But if they’re anything like their uncle, God help the girls in the neighborhood.” Molly said, smirking at Justin.

 

“That would be the boys. But then, none of them would have had a chance with Brian.” Justin told her.

 

“Down children. So tell me more about the baby mama drama.” Daphne ordered Justin.

 

“I don’t get why she and Michael thought having a kid would make Brian do anything for them. Claire and Michael act like this somehow makes sense to them.” Justin told her.

 

“From what Deb says, they both think Brian will do what he’s always done in the past and deal with their problems. She told Mom and me that when Michael got in trouble, it always fell to Brian because Deb depended on him for that. Deb feels really guilty about it. She said Michael can’t seem to believe anyone will mean more to Brian than he does.” Molly told her.

 

“So he ignores the obvious. Which is Brian moving on with his life to be with Justin. Then hurts himself to get Brian. The man seriously needs help.” Daphne told them.

 

“I think that’s why he won’t. He thinks Brian will eventually do what he wants.” Justin told her.

 

“Having a baby isn’t the answer.” Molly commented.

 

“He wants to believe it’s the only reason Brian wants Justin.” Emmett said, sitting down. “Brian told me you guys were going to be here, I thought I’d come by, if that’s okay?” He asked.

 

“Is there something going on?” Justin asked.

 

“Not that I know of. Reese was busy and when I stopped by to see Deb at your dad’s,  Brian was there with John. Brian suggested I entertain you.” He told Justin.

 

“Since you’re here maybe you could convince Justin to buy me the shirt I want.” Molly begged Emmett.

 

“Dad would kick my ass if I brought you a half shirt and a skirt that barely covers your… things.” Justin said, shuddering. Suddenly wanting to ask when he became the clothing police.

 

“Don’t forget the shoes.” Molly reminded him.

 

“Well, Dad can’t kill me, so let’s go.” Emmett told her.

 

“Emmett!! Seriously, my Dad will kill us.” Justin whispered.

 

Emmett managed to steer Molly away from the outfit she wanted and showed her outfits ‘less daring to her tushy’ as he told her. Molly ran to the fitting room to try them on. While Justin and Emmett sat waiting together.

 

“Baby, trust me to know how to get people to buy what they should, not what they want. I’ll be the favorite son after this.” Emmett said, dragging Justin behind him.

 

“Do you have any idea why Michael is doing any of this?” Justin asked, as they let Daphne and Molly look around the store Emmett took them to.

 

“Using Claire?” He asked.

 

“I just don’t understand, other than that he wants Brian. But using the sister Brian pretty much hates won’t win him any awards. Plus, I’m not liking that Lindsay’s family helped him either. What’s wrong with these people?” Justin asked, bewildered by all of them.

 

“It’s likely that in his head he now has a blood tie to Brian. Which is strange, yes, but it gives him something you don’t have.” Emmett told him.

 

“I wasn’t even in the picture when Michael thought this up.” Justin reminds him.

 

“But Lindsay was, and in a way she one upped Michael by having Gus, who was the reason Brian didn’t spend time with Michael. Around that time, Michael made a joke that Brian needed a reason to give up on the kid he never wanted. He probably thought by having a baby with Brian’s sister he would be giving Brian what he wanted.” Emmett told Justin.

 

“That actually makes sense, knowing Michael.” Justin told him.

 

“Only if you live in the land of the deluded.” Daphne told them. “Molly likes the one Emmett told her would compliment her better.” She told them, walking off.

 

“We’ll live, but make sure Dad knows it’s all because of me.” Emmett said, clapping when Molly showed off for them.

 

Justin realized his family was growing everyday, and that they would stand by them if problems arose. They all had safety nets in each other. He knew they would be tested, but trusted in the people in his life and the ones he had through Brian to weather the storms that were ahead.

 

Chapter 31 by starlight

Michael tried to get Deb to listen to him. Only to be told that unless he planned to help her raise her grandchild, she had nothing to say to him. He questioned her on why she quit her job at the diner, which he only found out when he stopped by looking for her. She actually had the audacity to tell him she didn’t owe him any explanation about her life. Michael’s reaction didn’t get him what he wanted.

 

“Everything you do is my business. You don’t get to have a life unless I tell you I approve.” He told her.

 

“Which is the reason I never had a life. Because you wouldn’t approve unless it was all about YOUR needs and YOUR wants. You needed me to make Brian stick around when he should have gone on with his life, not have to deal with our problems, or more to the point me asking him to deal with yours because you can’t get your act together.” Deb answered him.

 

“My life was fine when all of you understood what I expected of each of you,” Michael yelled.

 

“Which meant none of us could have a life unless you dictated how you wanted it to be. I honestly feel sorry for you, because someday you’ll realize the mistake you and Claire made with this ridiculous idea. I don’t think you get it; even if Gus hadn’t been the child Brian was searching for, he would have still wanted the life he and Justin are building together. He isn’t there just because of Gus, but because he fell in love with Justin, the man who gives him things he never wanted from you. It made me realize the things I did to keep you happy and how I hurt the men I claimed to love just as much as you. They don’t put conditions on me in order for me to be in their lives, and they included me in the family they are all building together. It makes wanting to protect you a betrayal to them.” She told him.

 

“They only included you because you forced your way into our lives. I couldn’t have anyone unless you were allowed to butt into our lives. Do you know how embarrassing it is when you thought they wanted to hear your opinions on everything we did? They only pretended to listen to you because of me.” Michael told her.

 

“Think what you want, but understand this- you and Claire are not going to get what you want from this. Brian won’t see this as you giving him what he wanted, but as yet another fuck up you expect everyone to clean up for you.” She told him, ready to kick him out of her house.

 

“I’ll make sure he knows you see OUR child as a fuck up. Isn’t that what you once complained about to Uncle Vic, that Brian was fucking up my life?” Michael screamed at her, twisting what she said.

 

“Is that what your little mind heard? I remember it differently. I said YOU were fucking up your life because you couldn’t let go of Brian and what you wanted him to give you. If I remember correctly, Vic, in his wonderful way, tried to make me see that Brian’s only fault in everything was giving in to me when I asked him to help you.” She answered him.

 

“You need to pick my side. Because if you don’t support me, then I’ll make sure you never see the baby.” Michael told her.

 

“I picked a side, with the people who, unlike you, see the baby as an innocent child. Not you, who thinks it will miraculously make Brian see you as the love of his life. Michael, something you and Lindsay can’t seem to understand is that if he loved either of you the way he loves Justin, nothing would have stood in his way. You spouted for years that Brian doesn’t do love or relationships. Because in your mind, if he did, then all your hopes were gone because those were things he didn’t want with you. Why can’t you get it through your head- he just didn’t love you, and if he did he wouldn’t have wasted years and encouraged you to fall in love with someone else. Why can’t you see what all of us do- when he did fall in love he didn’t waste time but went after the man he wanted. If you could have just been happy for him, he would have still wanted you in his life as his friend, but nothing more. You don’t seem to understand how Brian would see what you did with your irresponsible thinking.” She tells him.

 

“He should see it as me giving us the family we should have had. This baby is a part of both of us. He’s taking responsibility for the kid he hated Lindsay for making him have, but I saw the way to give him what he wanted without having to deal with that bitch or the blond shit. He’s trying to do what he thinks is the right thing, by staying until Gus no longer needs him. Then he can come back to me, and we’ll raise our children together.” Michael told her.

 

Deb gave up because nothing was going to make Michael see the truth. And wasting her time trying to talk to him wasn’t going to change her son’s twisted ideas. Vic warned her years ago that she needed to stop trying to give Michael everything he wanted, and now she understood what he was saying. She raised Michael to believe that everyone around him was there to give him everything he wanted regardless of what it cost them. Deb almost wanted to compare notes with Nancy and Ron, since they raised the same worthless kids. She knew she could change and had people around her who would be there without the scorecard that her own son had for everyone in his life. All of the Taylors made mistakes, but they learned from them and managed to become a better family. She looked at Michael as he continued to talk, not hearing a word he said, but also not seeing a way to help the child inside the man in front of her.

 

“I have things to do, and to answer your question, the only side I’m on is my grandchild’s, because you don’t understand how to love anyone but yourself.” She told him, opening her door.

 

“I know Brian loves me because he’s told me all my life.” He answered, walking out.

 

Deb blew out a breath and silently apologized to Vic for not listening to him back when it might have made a difference in Michael’s life. She felt a breeze on her face and promised Vic she had learned from her mistakes and would make sure to raise her grandchild better. She hoped for the baby to turn out like it’s uncle, one of the best men she knew.

 

Justin waited for Claire to appear. It was a surprise when she asked to speak only to him. She said she wanted to help him with Brian and to tell him what she believed he didn’t know about the situation she agreed to help with. Justin knew she thought what she would tell him would help her. But she also thought because Justin had been nice he was also the weak link she needed to get her way. Brian didn’t want Justin to go near her, but he waited until Justin explained what he planned to do with this meeting.

 

Brian wasn’t thrilled, but even if this wasn’t their problem he would still worry about the baby because that was just him. Justin worried because John and Peter would be affected, and he hated Claire for not thinking beyond what she wanted to see that her sons needed to know they were important. He’d watched the boys thrive as they got to know their father. But they still wanted what Claire wasn’t capable of giving them- a mother. Something Justin could relate to because even when Craig was at his worst, Justin still wished for the father he had at one time. Maybe it was wishful thinking for the boys, but Justin got his wish, so he hoped the same for them.

 

Claire wasn’t happy when she walked into the house that Justin agreed to meet her at, and she was really upset when he introduced her to Melanie Marcus, his lawyer.

 

“I only wanted to help you, why bring her into this?” Claire asked, glaring at Mel.

 

“Justin wanted to make sure to get the truth when you gave him your story,” Mel told her.

 

“I’d think you would be on my side, Brian ruined your life,” Claire told her.

 

“At one time I would have agreed with you. But stepping back and seeing what really happened to that relationship has me seeing that Brian didn’t cause any of our problems. The relationship was failing because of us, not because of anything Brian did.” Mel answered her.

 

“This is what Brian does for a living. He can make people believe what he wants. Right now you can’t see it because Brian is telling you what you want to hear, but he’s done that with everyone.” Claire told Justin. Then she pointed at Mel, “She might be saying the right words as Brian would want you to hear them, but she knows he did everything to split her and Lindsay up. You need to listen to me because I spent my life dealing with my brother and watched as he turned his back on us. He can tell you his sob story, but the truth is he was ashamed of us and wanted to forget we existed. He would do anything to hurt me because our father loved me. Brian hated when our parents, who did what they could for us, didn’t give him things that were beyond their ability. He created a hostile homelife for all of us by taunting my father, and then ran to others, claiming our father abused him. He wanted to be the center of the family and made my life miserable because of it.” Claire told him, almost smiling at her tale.

 

“Sorry. I told you she’d likely tell you a story, but apparently, she went straight to fairytales instead.” Mel told Justin.

 

“Believe what you want, but I know the truth. Justin, I know you want to believe Brian, but you have to protect yourself. He’s going to leave you when he gets what he wants. He already started it by having you give up Gus. It’s all part of the plan that Brian told Michael about. I know it’s hard for you to believe Michael, but he knows my brother and has spent his life doing what Brian wanted him to, based on the promises my brother made to him. I heard it with my own ears, Brian promised Michael a future with him. Mel can’t deny it, it’s a promise Brian said to Michael in front of everyone, that he always has and always will love Michael.” Claire told him.

 

“That’s what Michael wanted to believe, not what Brian was saying to him. Brian offered to always be his friend.” Mel told her.

 

“A promise he broke by turning his back on Michael, and both of us know why,” Claire told them.

 

“He offered to help Michael. It was Michael who walked away when it wasn’t what Michael wanted. Before you go on with more of your ‘truths’, know this, I don’t need to hear anything else because I TRUST Brian to give me the facts, which he does without your flair for storytelling. I only agreed to come and talk to you for two reasons, one- to make sure you understand the only thing Brian and I are concerned about are John and Peter.” Justin told her.

 

“You’re so concerned that you and Brian dumped them off on your family.” Claire interrupted.

 

“Brian and I have commitments that both of us are willing to forgo if your sons need us, but they both feel comfortable with the love they are receiving, not just from us, but from my family and their father. Both John and Peter know that if they need either of us, we will be there to provide them with more than a roof and food. They know they can tell us their fears, their hopes, and their dreams, and that we’ll all, as a family, do what we can to help them. It’s what you weren’t giving them because somehow you saw the neglect you were raised with as something they should have to endure the way you and Brian did. If you really want to be there for them, then do what you’re asked to make your home one they can live happily in.” Justin told her.

 

“They were fine until my brother stuck his nose into my life. If I’m such a bad mother, then why can I still see the boys? I’ll tell you why. Because Brian only caused all of this to make me look bad. He wants to make sure I can’t do anything when he takes this baby.” Claire yelled at him, ignoring anything that she might have to see as her being wrong.

 

“He doesn’t want the baby. Which brings me to reason number two as to why I agreed to meet with you here, with Mel as our lawyer.” Justin told her.

 

“I’m not signing anything to make it easy on Brian. He owes me for my generosity in having this baby.” Clair shrieked.

 

“You don’t need to sign a thing. What you need to do is understand that if you and Michael persist in claiming that Brian is responsible for the decision you and Michael made in making a child, then as his lawyer I need the proof that Brian was fully aware of your actions. And if you can prove that, then Brian will be filing for full custody of the child, and I will make sure to include the incident with your sons as a reason the child would be better off with Brian and Justin. You also need to know that there will be no financial packet for you beyond what a normal surrogate would get for giving any couple a child.” Mel told her.

 

“Michael wouldn’t agree to any of this. He promised me that for my generosity he and Brian would take care of me… and my boys. I did this for all of us, and now, as usual, Brian thinks he can have everything and forget what I did for him.” Claire told her, letting her tears fall.

 

“Then you need to go to Michael with your complaints since none of this has anything to do with Brian. Unless, as I asked, you can show me proof that Brian asked for and agreed to this.” Mel told her.

 

“I’m sure Michael has what you need, but he won’t agree to anything unless Brian is willing to admit the real reason he’s acting like he wants Justin,” Claire told them.

 

“Can I add something?” Justin asked, and Claire nodded. “You claim to know your brother. Michael screams the same thing. So answer one question for me. Has Brian ever done something he didn’t want to do, in order to get what he wanted? I ask because the man I know wouldn’t do something unless it was what he wanted. He didn't have to tell me Gus was his child, but he did because he wanted us to have an honest relationship. When we first met, Gus didn’t figure into the whole thing. Brian didn’t know anything about my life or that I had a child. His interest was in me, not Gus. Nothing changed after we figured out that Gus was his child, other than we both went into the relationship because we both wanted each other and we both want what’s best for Gus. The only reason Brian or I would take this child is that we don’t want it to suffer from the same neglect John and Peter did at your hands. We also want to make sure Deb has a chance to be the grandmother she is, and to show the child, the one that you and Michael see as a way to trap Brian into doing what you want is someone that will be welcome and loved by her. Deb can’t pay for your life, and that seems to be the only thing you see as the purpose of having this baby. Brian and I decided to make sure you understood that we wouldn’t do it either. So you need to stop this idea of what you and Michael think will happen.” 

 

“Brian won’t get near this child if I don’t get what I want.” She told Justin.

 

“Then good luck raising this kid on your own. Because unless Brian signed something saying he was going to support you and this child, then you’ll be stuck with Michael’s idea of supporting a kid. Which means Deb will get what she wants since Michael’s never taken responsibility for own his life, much less the life you two made thinking it would change anything for Brian. Justin asked if you know your brother. I can tell you, you don’t, because one thing I’ve always known about Brian is that if he loves something, he’ll do everything in his power to make sure he never loses it. To give you an idea of how far Brian would go, he asked me to show you this as proof.” Mel told her, confusing Justin. “Brian had these drawn up, and I did the same for you since I knew you wouldn’t be happy unless you both equally shared everything in your lives,” Mel told Justin, sliding the folder to him. “You already asked me to make Brian your beneficiary in case anything happens. Well, Brian wanted a little more. He also wanted you to know he isn’t going to balk when you want him to do the same.” Mel told Justin, as he read over the paperwork stating that he and Brian were equal partners in everything Brian owned.

 

“I don’t understand, Brian wouldn’t do something like this to Michael,” Claire said, as Justin went through the paperwork signing where Mel pointed to.

 

“FOR Michael, Claire. I wouldn’t do anything like this FOR Michael because I don’t love him. I don’t want to spend my life with anyone but Justin and the only child I would want is one that was part of Justin.” Brian told her, coming out of the kitchen.

 

“You were supposed to let me deal with this. And you better be ready to sign papers yourself.” Justin told him.

 

“Sign for what? You don’t have anything Brian would want.” Claire told Justin. “Brian, don’t you see he’s after whatever he can get?” Claire told her brother.

 

“Actually I don’t have a clue which one of us would benefit more from this partnership. It might be a tie.” Brian shrugged.

 

“What am I supposed to do with this baby now? I didn’t want it. I’m owed what Michael said I would get for doing this for YOU.” Claire shrieked.

 

“I have a deal for you. It’s not one you’ll like, but it’s the only one you're going to get from me. Find a way to let Deb raise the child. She will love the baby in a way neither of us knew was possible. She has the support of not just Justin’s family but also the friends who stood by her even when Michael made us want to abandon her.” Brian told her.

 

“What about me? I don’t want to live barely scraping by anymore. I want to do all the things I couldn’t do because you left me to deal with everything when you turned your back on us.” Claire yelled at Brian.

 

“Am I supposed to support you because unlike you, I got my ass out and made something of my life? I did it on my own with no help from anyone. And somehow you think I’m going to just hand you the life I worked my ass off to make? The one I want to share with the man I plan to marry and the child or children we choose to have with each other? If you want more, you do what it takes, not sit on your ass blaming me for what you didn’t bother to try. Before you get the idea you can use that baby to get anything from me, it won’t work. I honestly don’t want anything that would cause me to deal with Michael or you, but I won’t let a child suffer because of it either.” Brian told her.

 

Claire got up to leave, almost falling in her haste. Justin helped her to the door, wanting to ask one more question he was still trying to figure out.

 

“Why are Lindsay’s parents helping Michael?” Justin asked.

 

“Because your family has everyone closing doors in their faces. No one wants to go against your step-grandfather or your parents, no matter what favor they owe the Petersons. The Peterson’s want to make sure Brian learns his place. The one he overstepped by being welcomed into your families. Which should make you wonder about Brian’s real motives, he always wanted to be better than he really is.” Claire told Justin, stomping to the cab waiting for her.

 

“Isn’t that what your trying to do, too?” Justin shouted and slammed the door before she could respond.

 

Chapter 32 by starlight

Michael went back into the waiting room before going to see Claire and the baby. He liked the way everyone congratulated him, even though they didn’t know him. Today he planned to make sure his friends were doing their duty by being there when he helped Claire home with the baby. 

 

Michael had been avoiding the hospital for the last two days since Claire seemed to think his job was to be at her beck and call after she delivered the baby. He figured he’d wait for his friends to show up before dealing with Claire’s hormonal fits.

 

Michael fooled himself into believing that when he called, his friends would appear. He was ready for the attention he saw the new fathers around him getting. He didn’t care what his mother said, Brian would see this was good for them. He’d see that Michael should be the one who helped him raise Lindsay’s bastard. He managed to convince himself that Brian was only doing what it took to secure Gus in his life. Then all the dreams Michael spent years depending on would be his, finally. He wanted Ted and Emmett here because he wanted Brian to hear that their son was born. It had been the perfect plan. It only took a few poppers, a blue pill, and a lot of pretending Claire was Brian for Michael to knock her ass up. Although he had started to worry lately. Claire was less convinced of what he told her were Brian’s reasons for staying with Justin. Michael refused to believe Brian would willingly sign over half of everything he ever worked for to HIM, the blond who only wanted Brian’s money. 

 

Michael was still calling the people who were supposed to make sure Brian heard about Brian Jr’s birth. Claire tried to give the baby her last name, but Michael wasn’t having that. He sacrificed to have a Kinney, therefore the baby was going to be a Kinney. Brian Michael Kinney would be raised to know his purpose in life, to make sure Brian couldn’t deny their child. He’d called that bitch Cynthia to announce the news and swore he heard her say ‘poor baby’ before she hung up without asking anything about how Brian would know where to find Michael. 

 

Michael smiled when he saw his mother, even though they’d left things badly the last time they talked. He knew she’d eventually realize that she needed to support him. 

 

“I brought you some things you're going to need when the baby leaves the hospital.” She told him, handing him a bag.

 

“Why didn’t you give these to Claire?” He asked, not wanting to have to haul crap around with him.

 

“I would have, but apparently she decided to leave the hospital.” She answered.

 

“Then take this stuff to her house. She’ll need it since Brian Jr doesn’t have anything,” he told her, annoyed that Claire didn’t tell him and now he’d wasted a trip.

 

Deb took a deep breath at hearing the name and seeing the last name in the nursery. Her son needed help, but for once she listened when Blake told her to see Michael’s obsession with Brian as nothing she could help with until he hit rock bottom. It also helped that Deb had people in her life who made her see how unhealthy her smothering of Michael was, not just to him but also to herself. In truth, the only thing she cared about now was her grandchild. Michael didn’t realize the minute he and Claire conceived the baby, Deb’s loyalty would be to the baby who didn’t deserve her immature son or a self-absorbed mother as parents, but someone who would love the baby. She stopped at Joan’s to tell her the baby was here, and as expected, Joan just poured another drink. When she got to the hospital she went to see Claire because she wasn’t ready to deal with Michael. She wanted time to talk to Claire about her other children. 

 

Deb smiled as she thought of the boys, they no longer walked on eggshells at Craig and Cara’s house, and with each visit with their father, things became clearer about what Claire had been doing to all of them. Listening to John Sr take the blame for his absence from their lives, not trying to blame Claire but himself for not being there for them, was eye-opening. Deb knew not only Michael but she herself had for years shifted the blame to Brian. Deb called Brian to apologize for her part, but Brian told her he was living in the future not his past, and he still felt apologies were bullshit. It was why she went to see Claire instead of Michael in the waiting room, where he had demanded everyone meet him. Claire hadn’t bothered to meet with the caseworker or see the boys on the days set aside for her to visit them. When Deb entered the room it was empty. The nurse would only say that Claire had left. When Deb asked about the baby she was told Claire had told them Michael would pick it up. 

 

“It?” Deb asked.

 

“Yes ma’am, she told us to tell him he wanted it, it was all his. The doctor was worried and suggested she seek counseling.” The nurse said, shrugging before leaving the room.

 

Deb decided she’d deal with Claire later. Apparently, Michael was going to be bringing the baby home with him. Michael got up as if he planned to leave, Deb grabbed his arm and took him to the nurses' station next to the nursery.

 

“Michael, show the woman your ID,” Deb told him, as he looked at her. Confused as to why he needed to show them anything.

 

“No need. Michael has let everyone in the hospital congratulate him, over and over. Are you ready to take the baby home?” The nurse, Gina, asked.

 

“What?” Michael asked, looking confused.

 

“Mrs. Novotny told us the baby was yours to deal with,” Gina told him.

 

“Why would you tell her that?” Michael asked Deb.

 

“Not your mother, your wife, sir,” Gina told him.

 

“What am I supposed to do with it?” Michael asked as Deb slapped him in the head.

 

“Be the fucking father you claimed you wanted to be,” Deb tells him.

 

Gina hurried up the paperwork, not sure how the man who hadn’t even bothered to see the baby would be any better than the mother who walked out, claiming she had better things to do. When the baby was brought to them, once again she worried, until Deb held out her arms. Gina had seen that look many times in her career, it was love in its purest form. 

 

Deb waited for Michael to ask for his son, once again hoping for her son to do the right thing for once in his life. Once again he failed, but Deb didn’t mind much since it would give her what she knew the baby needed, a stable home with her. His next words confirmed it for her.

 

“Ma, can you take him with you? I need to find out what Claire’s doing.” Michael whined at her, giving her the puppy dog look that in the past worked for him.

 

“Why don’t I take the baby to your place and wait for you,” Deb asked him.

 

“I can’t keep a baby at my place. We might need to stay with you until I straighten this out.” Michael told her.

 

“The baby can stay with me until you can take care of it. JUST the baby. In fact, it might be good for me to keep him with me until you straighten out everything. Which means I also need you to sign some papers I brought with me so that if the baby needs anything I can take care of it for you.” Deb told him, letting the nurse hold the baby so she could get the paperwork out that Mel helped her with.

 

“There’s also the issue of the bill. Your wife indicated that you understood this was your responsibility.” Gina informed him.

 

“Didn’t her insurance cover it?” Michael asked, signing all the paperwork Deb handed him without reading it.

 

“I have no idea. You’ll need to talk to the billing department, Sir.” Gina told him, handing the baby back to Deb.

 

“That shouldn’t be a problem. You still have the money from the shop.” Deb told him.

 

“Yeah, sure. I’ll go deal with it.” Michael answered her, thinking that once he and Brian are together the money won’t matter.

 

Deb asked the nurses to witness the paperwork for her. Then left with her grandson cooing in her arms. 

 

“Don’t worry sweetheart, you have a whole family ready to love you,” Deb told the baby.

 

 

Brian was just returning to the hotel after a long afternoon working. He’d already talked to John and Peter about their day. He was happy to hear John Sr was doing what he promised the boys. Craig had let him know that Claire hadn’t bothered to visit or do anything else required to get her boys back. John Sr managed to meet with the caseworker anytime she asked, and also made sure he had his support paid directly to the state, so they could use it directly for the boys care. Craig was impressed with John’s work ethic. If asked, he did anything without complaint. Brian joked it was likely why he ended up married to Claire as long as he was. John suffered in silence.

 

Brian walked in to see Justin and Gus doing a puzzle together. Justin made it clear that TV was the last resort in his idea of parenting. Brian like it because Gus saw treats as the time he had with Brian and Justin, and TV couldn’t compete in Gus’s eyes. Even though he and Justin had been together for months now, Brian still loved coming home to dinner waiting and his family happy to see him. When Justin looked up at him, he knew there was something Justin wanted to talk to him about, but not in front of Gus. They ate dinner, helped Gus finish his puzzle, then took a walk around Paris as they did every night since they’d been here. Gus stopped at the gift shop on their way back to their room, he wanted to pick up postcards for all his friends and the family. They were leaving in a couple of days, along with the assortment of presents Gus picked up along the way. Brian arranged for Cynthia and Ted to help for the next week while they dealt with Gus’s adoption. He’d been checking with Reese, who told him Lindsay seemed to be enjoying not only Greece but apparently some younger artist she’d picked up there. Nothing indicated Lindsay was even planning to leave, which was hopefully because she believed she still had another month before the hearing. 

 

Brian tucked Gus in, who was already asleep when his head hit the pillow. He kissed his son’s head before going to find out what Justin wanted to tell him. Brian had made sure Justin knew everything he did about Lindsay, so he doubted that was what Justin could be worried about. Justin was biting on his nail when Brian entered the room.

 

“Even if Lindsay shows up, she doesn’t have a leg to stand on. She barely managed to stay in Gus’s life for the first year, you’ve been there for him always.” Brian told him.

 

“I sort of did something, even though we agreed not to,” Justin told him.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“I know I should have talked to you about it, but I wanted to make sure Deb could fight them if she needed to. Turns out Michael signed over his rights and hasn’t bothered to come to see the baby since he handed him to Deb at the hospital.” Justin told him, stalling.

 

“Again, what did you do?” Brian asked him.

 

“My mom signed over the rest of my inheritance, which we didn’t really need. I sort of set up an account for Deb, making it so she didn’t need to work.” Justin told him.

 

“She won’t take the money, she’s always wanted to stand on her own feet,” Brian told him.

 

“That’s pretty much what she told my mother and father. But they also told her I could be as stubborn as she is. I talked to her, and she plans to keep the money in trust for the baby.” Justin told him, still nervous about something.

 

“What else? By the way, I would have done the same, but you thought of it first, so what aren’t you telling me?” Brian asked.

 

“It took me off guard when Deb told me the baby’s name. Michael named the baby after you, including the last name.” Justin told Brian.

 

Brian managed to hide his shock. Even though nothing should shock him when it came to Michael. “Did Claire give Deb any problems?” He asked.

 

“No. Other than dumping the baby on Michael, who in turn dumped the baby on Deb. My mom and Cara went to Claire’s house to find out what the hell she was doing, only to find it cleaned out and Claire gone. They even went to your mother’s house, and apparently, Claire only stopped by long enough to tell her she was on to better things. Which my mom questioned me about, thinking I paid Claire off, but I didn’t.” Justin informed Brian.

 

“I didn’t either if your asking,” Brian told him, puzzled.

 

“Well then, I guess we’ll find out what’s going on when we get back,” Justin told him.

 

Meanwhile, Michael was frantically searching for Claire fucking Novotny, who he stupidly put on his bank account.

 

 

Chapter 33 by starlight

Brian barely got in the door at Craig’s house before the boys ran in to greet him. While he wanted to hear everything they managed to do in the day since he talked to him, he also wanted to find out what he missed while he was gone. Ted only said that he and Emmett ignored all of Michael’s calls, not willing to let him try to pull them into his mess. Brian looked up in time to see Deb coming into the room with the baby. That pissed Brian off more. Not the baby, but the fact Michael did all of this and then seemed to forget that the baby wasn’t one of his toys that he could forget about it until he wanted to play with it again.

 

Justin walked over with Gus to see the baby. He didn’t want Deb or Gus to think he had a problem with the baby. The name was bothering Justin, not the adorable little boy he was seeing. He knew he still needed to talk to Brian about the other thing. He managed to distract Brian by mentioning the name, it wasn’t bad. Justin was just nervous even though he had no reason to be. They’d talked about it before, but actually doing it was what made Justin nervous. 

 

“I’m not sure what we should call him,” Deb told Justin.

 

Brian walked up to hear Deb and knew she was nervous about how he would feel. He looked down as the baby yawned and squirmed to get comfortable, then lifted his fist to his mouth, sucking on it and going back to sleep again.

 

“What have you been calling him?” Brian asked her.

 

“I didn’t want to call him Michael because I’m still angry at my son, which isn’t Brian’s fault… the baby’s fault. But in a way calling him Brian was like a therapy session for me.” Deb told him.

 

“In what way?” Justin asked.

 

“I spent most of Michael’s life blaming Brian for my son’s mistakes. Now I’m blaming Michael for his mistakes when it comes to Brian. I’m also seeing how I raised Michael versus Brian, and I want this Brian to become the kind of man he’s named after. Jen and I talked a lot about the things she did wrong with Justin, and how she learned when it came to not doing the same things with Molly. Being here with Craig and Cara, watching them with the boys and Colin, I realized I spent my life making up to Michael for the things I couldn’t give him, and because of that Michael ended up not growing up. Craig told me, love your children but remember to let them spread their wings and make decisions they can learn from. It’s been the thing I never did, I never let Michael do anything without me stepping in to protect him from himself.” Deb told them.

 

“We all learn continuously with each child Deb. Just like me, you're going to make mistakes, the kids are going to, but our job is to be there and help them through it, not wipe out the mistakes.” Craig told her, making Cara smile that her husband was becoming a better person.

 

“Did you find out where Claire got the money to leave without Brian?” Brian asked, saying the name without making an issue out of it.

 

“Good God, even I’m trying to figure out what he was thinking on that one,” Deb muttered walking over to put baby Brian down next to Colin. 

 

“Gus, Peter, and John why don’t you go play in the den while we fix lunch,” Cara told them.

 

“Yeah, neither of us want to hear again about ‘Stepdaddy’,” John said, shaking his head as he takes Gus with them.

 

“I have two daddies,” Gus announced on the way to the den.

 

“Say that again?” Justin asked Deb as they all walked in the kitchen to sit down.

 

“I’ll let Cara tell you, I can’t even…” Deb stopped, at a loss for words.

 

“It is hard to believe. The whole plan was… if we can even call it a plan when Michael is involved,” Cara started to continue with the story.

 

“How about I tell you both since the women are still trying to make sense out of someone who doesn’t make any. Michael not only got your sister pregnant, but he married her. Because in his head, that way she couldn’t try to double cross him by fighting him when the baby was born. I don’t think Michael got that while Claire acts helpless and flighty, that’s what it is for her, an act. I think if Claire could have gotten around having the baby she would have. But when they thought up the idea, Michael wasn’t swimming in cash. Then they had to do it the old fashioned way since the other ways are expensive.” Craig said, laughing at Brian and Justin cringing. “Now you understand how hard it is for me when it comes to you two.”

 

“Like you’re going to deal with Molly’s love life any better.” Cara reminded him.

 

“Claire made sure Michael included her on his bank account. Then made sure he didn’t think she would touch it, by leaving it alone and only taking money out when Michael okayed it. Granted there wasn’t a lot in there in the beginning. The shop being rioted and Deb selling everything to put it in an account for Michael would have been safe, but Michael eventually put all the money in one account, the one he put Claire on. He did it out of laziness because the other bank is all the way across town. I think she was just biding her time until the baby was born so she wouldn’t have to take off with a baby on board.” Craig told them.

 

“If Michael hadn’t sat at the hospital all day ordering everyone to come while avoiding Claire, she might not have gotten away with it. She left, and we ended up staying to get everything situated about Baby Brian. I think when the boys were taken out of the home, Claire started clearing the house out since no one was there to tip anyone off that she was doing it. Once the baby was born she was already packed and ready to go. She left in the car she owned, with pretty much everything Michael had in his account.” Deb told them.

 

“And Michael is now in trouble because he wrote a check for the hospital stay, not knowing the money was missing,” Cara told them.

 

“We only found out because Michael showed up here, demanding I tell Brian he needed to help him. I told him I wouldn’t unless he told me the whole story that led to Baby Brian being born. It was hard, believe me, for me to listen to Michael talk like everything he did was either my fault or yours, Brian, because it couldn’t be his. Not once did he ask about his son, and that made it easier for me to tell him I wouldn’t help him, not that I would have anyway.” Deb told them.

 

“How did he plan to marry Brian if he was already married to Brian’s sister?” Justin asked, shaking his head.

 

“Remember, I said not to try to make sense out someone who doesn’t make any,” Craig told him.

 

“What’s he doing now?” Brian asked.

 

“He got his job back at the Big Q and made sure everyone knows he’s married to a woman, in hopes he can get promoted into management again. He at least he paid his rent up with some of the money, so he isn’t going to be homeless unless he wants to be.” Deb told them, still concerned for Michael even when she knew she couldn’t help him.

 

“Just take care of the baby. Unlike Michael, the baby is helpless.” Cara reminded her.

 

“Tomorrow's the big day,” Craig said to get off the subject of Michael.

 

“I can’t believe we’ll finally be done with the whole thing,” Justin told them.

 

“Any word about Lindsay?” Craig asked.

 

“She’s still sunning herself away in Greece. I checked with Reese on our way over and she’s still where she was yesterday. Even if she comes she’ll be too late to stop us.” Brian told him.

 

“You wanted to check on Kinnetik. How about we go while Gus stays here?” Justin asked Brian.

 

Brian and Justin left after talking to John and Peter about doing something together with their father while they were here. Brian watched Justin fidget in the car, but left it alone until he could talk to Justin alone later. When they arrived Brian was stopped by everyone wanting to talk about their campaigns and Justin told him to meet him in his office when he was done.

 

It was close to an hour before Brian could make it back to his office, and that gave Justin time to calm down. He knew he was being ridiculous since this was something they both said they wanted to do. When Brian walked in he went straight to his computer to email an idea to Cynthia he thought about for the campaign in Europe. Justin went to the door and locked it, before walking to Brian and pushing him away from the computer.

 

“This will only take a second,” Brian told him, wanting to get down the idea before he forgot.

 

Justin didn’t reply but knelt in front of Brian, who smirked, liking the direction this was going.

 

“Get your mind out of the gutter long enough to answer me,” Justin told him, digging in his pocket to get the ring he had made for Brian in Paris.

 

“This is why you’ve been crawling out of your skin?” Brian asked.

 

“I know we both said we planned to get married. And for a while, I just wanted to deal with everything else before we did it. But I don’t want to have to wait for something I know we both want. I want to marry you, now.” Justin told him.

 

“I was ready to marry you the day I moved to Chicago with you and Gus,” Brian told him.

 

That was all Justin needed to hear before putting the ring on Brian’s finger. With that over with Justin was ready to relax with Brian, and relive their first time together. Brian stopped Justin, grabbing his briefcase and unlocking it. He pulled out a ring that he bought in Chicago for Justin, so he would know he was serious. He put it on Justin, who smiled that they both picked out platinum rings.

 

“I bought it planning to ask you after Gus was officially adopted by you,” Brian told him.

 

“You remember me saying I did something?” Justin asked.

 

“You mean giving Deb the money?” Brian asked.

 

“There was more than just that. I talked to Cara’s father. And he agreed to marry us right after the adoption if you’ll agree to it.” Justin told him.

 

“So tomorrow you’ll be mine,” Brian told him, kissing him.

 

Justin couldn’t think as Brian started pulling off their clothes. He wanted to remember this moment the way his first time with Brian in this office was burned into his brain. He didn’t even realize Brian was talking to someone else, until he heard the person through the speaker on the phone repeat back to Brian there would be no interruptions in his office. 

 

Justin helped Brian open his pants, not taking them off because he was in a hurry and swallowed Brian. Brian’s hands caressed Justin’s hair while looking into his eyes as he took him down his throat. Brian felt every swipe of Justin’s tongue as he moved his cock in and out of his mouth. Justin pulled back each time Brian’s legs tensed, not wanting him to cum anywhere but inside him. 

 

Brian turned Justin to face his desk and bent him over to rim and open him up, laughing when he found lube in Justin’s back pocket.

 

“It wasn’t easy sitting with my dad while sitting on lube.” Justin joked, then moaned as Brian licked and sucked each inch of his ass cheeks as he pulled the blond’s pants to his knees. Justin started begging for Brian to fill him, which Brian was more than ready to do. He teased Justin first, then when Justin threatened to yell loud enough for the whole building to hear, Brian thrust in without stopping until he bottomed out. He held himself there, enjoying the feel of Justin’s tight ass surrounding his cock, before pulling back and slowly pushing in. Brian took his time, tearing every moan and plea out of Justin before quickening his pace. Justin stroked himself in time with Brian and came on the carpet as Brian continued making everything in Justin’s body quiver from all the stimulation before he emptied himself and fell back in his chair, with Justin still in his arms.

 

“Damnit, you made me forget what I wanted to send Cynthia,” Brian smirked, kissing Justin.

 

Chapter 34 by starlight

Brian and Justin walked into the courthouse with Gus. They had been told the case was going to be heard in the judge’s chambers instead of the courtroom, so they were surprised when they were told there was a change of venue when they arrived. Jen had come with them, while Cara and Craig planned to meet them with everyone else in Cara’s father’s chambers later for the wedding Justin arranged. Jen planned to watch Gus while Justin and Brian signed everything and was just as confused as they were when they were directed to a larger conference room. 

 

Mel didn’t let Lindsay’s parents being in the room throw her off the way they had hoped. Brian ignored them, making them angry that he didn’t seem worried that they were there. Justin rolled his eyes before asking his mother to keep Gus out of the room. Mel really wondered what they thought they could do since nothing they could say about Brian or Justin would be worse than everything Mel could produce on Lindsay’s life before, during, and after the birth of Gus. She assumed Judge Jackson was indulging them to avoid any problems later, but in the end, they had no rights where Gus was concerned. Mel held her composure when the judge looked more annoyed than happy when he walked in and sat at the head of the table. 

 

“I agreed to hear both of you, in fairness to everyone.” The judge said to Lindsay’s parents. “The Peterson’s called yesterday to say Lindsay Peterson wasn’t made aware of today’s hearing.” Judge Jackson said, looking to Mel, Brian, and Justin.

 

“Actually it’s Lindsay Williams, not Peterson. But we’ll use Peterson to lessen any confusion since there is a rumor that there is trouble between the newlyweds. Mr Kinney and Mr Taylor did everything required by law to inform her. And I also sent notices to the last known address I had for her, which was her current husband Randolph Williams. I didn’t go any further since it wasn’t required of me.” Mel tells him.

 

“My clients weren’t contacted.” The Peterson’s lawyer, Cary, informed Judge Jackson.

 

“There is no requirement to inform Lindsay Peterson’s parents, seeing as she is an adult and therefore doesn’t answer to her parents. Also, during the time in which Lindsay Peterson was in a relationship with me, she, for the most part, was estranged from her parents. That didn’t change as far as I’m aware before Gus was born. Information we have obtained also implies Lindsay Peterson left because the Peterson’s tried to suggest Gus be given to their other daughter to be raised. And they even went so far as offering to pay off Lindsay Peterson if she agreed to this as if Gus was a commodity to be bartered. Which isn’t the reason we’re here is it?” Mel asked him, while Nancy looked like she wanted to kill Mel.

 

“They admit they were concerned about the child’s welfare, and at the time Lindsay Peterson’s… actions didn’t make them believe she was ready for the responsibility of an innocent child. They felt their other daughter was better prepared to offer Gus a stable home. In the end, it was Mr Kinney’s actions that caused their daughter to run off in the first place. Due to him not wanting the responsibility of the child he and Lindsay Peterson created together.” Cary told them.

 

“Is that true?” Judge Jackson asked Mel.

 

“Mr Kinney refused when asked to father Lindsay Peterson’s child. He had no plans to become a father but wasn’t given the choice when Lindsay Peterson couldn’t take no for an answer and paid an escort to get for her what she could not get from Mr Kinney. Mr Kinney willingly admits he wasn’t sure he was ready for fatherhood when he found out what had been done against his will, but was ready to take the responsibility to do the best for Gus’s welfare. When Mr Kinney learned that there was indeed a child, he spent thousands of dollars and several years searching for his child, and is very thankful his son’s fate was in the hands of Mr Taylor, who raised Gus as if he was his father.” Mel answered.

 

“Which should tell you what kind of people he consorts with,” Nancy said, ignoring Cary. Mel kept from rolling her eyes at Nancy’s ability to ignore everything questioning her daughter’s behavior.

 

“We aren’t here to determine Mr Kinney’s right to Gus. Since Gus is his biological child, I have no problem defending him. Mr Kinney had no idea the man Lindsay Peterson HIRED, wanted anything more than most men did from Mr Kinney. Before you try to bring up Mr Kinney’s past; he was a single man living his life the way he wanted to, which harmed no one but himself with his actions. His past has nothing to do with being a father since he wasn’t one at the time. He wasn’t happy when he found out what she’d done against his wishes. Lindsay Peterson ran when her plans fell apart; when Mr Kinney didn’t allow her to use the child to get what she wanted from him. Mr Kinney spent years searching for the child, not wanting his child to suffer for Lindsay Peterson’s actions. Today he’s here because once again he wants the best for Gus and feels Mr Taylor’s devotion to Gus equals his and is doing what he feels is best for his child. Something Lindsay Peterson’s actions lack. Lindsay Peterson’s actions since Gus’ birth prove that she doesn’t deserve to have Gus as her child. Lindsay Peterson left Gus on his first birthday with someone who was basically a stranger. The interactions Lindsay Peterson had with Mr Taylor barely lasted long enough to drop her son at his door. She would leave Gus with Mr Taylor, sometimes for days at a time without calling to inform him of her whereabouts. Mr Taylor was left emotionally and financially responsible for Gus, which he did without complaint. And this case is about Mr Taylor. Not Brian Kinney, who is the natural father, but MR TAYLOR, who raised Gus, loving him when he could have just abandoned him as Lindsay Peterson had. Instead, he loved Gus, and he even named the child when Lindsay Peterson couldn’t be bothered.” Mel answered.

 

“Before I say anything, do you know how to contact your daughter?” Judge Jackson asked.

 

“My clients don’t know her exact location at this time,” Cary admitted.

 

“But you wasted my time and theirs with this. For what reason, when apparently none of you know where Lindsay Peterson is?” Judge Jackson asked.

 

“What about our rights to know our grandson?” Nancy asked.

 

“In this case, you don’t have any rights, unless Mr Kinney decides to give them to you. Unless you can produce your daughter, who at any time could have called here and gotten the information if she wanted to protest the adoption. And I’ll add that her actions only tell me that her concerns only laid in her wants, not her child’s. Which was proven when she didn’t contact her child once in the four years following her disappearance from his life. Your interference accomplished nothing but my irritation that I wasted our time to accomplish nothing. I allowed this because I also wanted to clear something else up from the phone call last night. My rulings are based on law and what is in the best interest of the child. Unlike others in my profession, I don’t take it lightly when it’s implied that I am personally responsible for your daughter’s loss of a son. Including calling to find out the information that is available and has been available since the adoption petition was made.” Judge Jackson told her, signaling to the bailiff at the door to escort them out.

 

“My clients are asking for more time, so they can make sure Lindsay Peterson’s rights aren’t being violated,” Cary said, knowing it was weak.

 

“If her parents could produce her than I’d certainly give her a chance to object to the adoption. Something she’s had over three months to do, not just today.” Judge Jackson told Cary.

 

“I just want to ask one question. Why would it matter?” Mel asked.

 

“That’s none of your concern,” Nancy told her.

 

“Just as the adoption that is being approved is none of yours. If, as Gus’s grandparents, you want to be a part of Gus’s life, that’s now up to Mr Taylor and Mr Kinney. Because they are his fathers and his only parents.” Judge Jackson told them.

 

Nancy, Ron, and Cary got up to leave the room. As the door opened, Jen walked in with John, Peter, and Gus, nodding at them as they walked in.

 

“Who’s that?” Gus asked Peter, who shrugged, not knowing.

 

“We’re your grandparents.” Nancy looked between Peter and Gus, not sure as the boys looked confused.

 

“Nana, who are they?” Gus asked as Cary decided to get them out as the judge looked at him like he was an idiot to take on the Petersons.

 

“I’m sorry to waste all our time. But for all our sakes, I didn’t want the Petersons to be able to say they weren’t heard. As for the adoption, I have no reason to deny Mr Taylor his role as Gus’ father. A role that he’s performed all of Gus’s life. Congratulations are in order for you both for another reason I hear too.” He told Brian and Justin.

 

After signing everything and letting Mel handle the rest, Brian and Justin went to meet Judge Jason Anderson, who was thrilled to meet the Justin and Brian his daughter and son-in-law spoke very highly about. When he first heard about the situation with Justin and Craig, he’d been less than thrilled at Cara’s choice in Craig. But she managed, with the help of Jen, to get Craig to see the error in his ways. 

 

“I’m honored that you offered me the chance to complete your lives and family by uniting you two in marriage,” Jason told them. 

 

It was a simple ceremony, which Brian appreciated and Justin wanted. They let the family plan a party for after, with all their friends. Brian kissed Justin lightly, smirking at Craig who managed to smile, as it was getting easier as they all got to know each other. The boys snickered, while Molly told them to ‘shut it’, acting like their sister. 

 

The next morning, Michael went to work as usual, when Marley read an article looking confused.

 

“Remember that handsome best friend of yours?” She asked him.

 

“Brian?” Michael asked, hoping Brian had come to him finally.

 

“You didn’t tell me he was well one of ‘those kind’.” She whispered, gesturing with her wrist.

 

“Why would you think that? I mean lately, I’ve been too busy worried about my wife to worry about my best friend anyway.” Michael lied, taking the paper Marley handed him. Ready to puke at the picture of Brian and Justin kissing that was in front of him.

 

“Well it says right there, Mr Brian Kinney and Mr Justin Taylor were happily joined in matrimony yesterday… Mike, are you okay?” Marley asked as Michael looked as if someone had shot him. “So I guess he never told you he was…” Marley flicked her wrist weakly again. “Are you okay? Did you get that bug going around?” She asked, thinking he should look relieved that his friend never tried to turn him. “Look at this way, at least he never wanted you, the other guy’s a looker though. Why do all the good looking ones have to be gay? Yeah, even if you were interested, no way you could have competed with that.” Marley said jokingly.

 

The scream from Mike almost gave Marley a heart attack, and the ripping up of the paper was a bit much. But the stomping on the torn up paper had her thinking Mike really needed to be careful since upper management had been cracking down on discrimination of any kind lately. Marley figured she’d mention Mike’s reaction to the others during the break since she couldn’t resist gossiping about it. Who knew Mike was a homophobe? Michael listened, and as usual, joined in with the others in the comments they made about Gay Marriage. Only to be called into Andrew’s office after, and told that his views on the gay community weren’t welcome as a Big Q employee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 35 by starlight

Lindsay looked at her phone for the fifth time in ten minutes, not wanting to answer it. She was… happy. Such a foreign concept. It scared her. She’d never really been happy before. Answering her mother would put an end to it. For once no one controlled what she did. People fawned over her, kissing her feet to be allowed to attend her parties. And she was happy, so it made no sense to answer the phone. Her past could be just that, her past, as long as she didn’t answer. She’d thought long and hard about what would happen if she got on the plane yesterday, as she had been ordered to do by her parents. She’d lost and she knew it. While part of her wanted to win, another part of her was tired of the games she’d played that won her nothing and lost her the one person who at one time loved her, flaws and all. She had lost him, and in doing that lost the person she thought she could be when he for once didn’t give her what she thought would make her happy. Smiling at Luciano, she wanted the chance again to find the girl that had been lost for so long. Instead of answering her mother she sent a message to the person who forced her to stop punishing Brian because he was better than she was. For hating him for becoming a success, for living life on his own terms, and loving in a way Lindsay still couldn’t understand. It was selfish in so many ways that Gus had nothing to do with her decisions when she had used him as her reason. She texted Justin’s number, not congratulating him on winning Brian Kinney because she’d never been able to do that. She texted him for loving a child that she couldn’t. 

 

“He’ll never doubt it.” Was the only reply Justin gave her. 

 

For a second she felt the usual anger at anyone getting things she couldn’t and for not bowing down at her feet for her generosity. She let her revenge on her parents fill the want to hurt the person who at one time did what he could for Lindsay. In a way, she wished she’d been there to see the looks on their faces when asked all about the things Lindsay had done after they tried to buy her child. But Lindsay preferred the view in front of her. Why they thought anyone would care if they now acted as caring grandparents just made Lindsay wonder why she ever thought her mother was really the master at games. She was onto bigger and better things. She loved watching the women around her hating her for taking all the attention their money had to buy from the young men and women around. Lindsay’s life was what she dreamed it would be like to be the Queen. Luciano smiled at the thought that Lindsay somehow thought he gave a shit about her when he only did it because it kept the money flowing from Randolph. With promises of anything he wanted if he kept Lindsay right where she was for the next couple of months. After that, the only thing that Lindsay seemed to love, her power over everyone, would disappear, along with the money she was spending as if she had an unlimited supply. 

 

Michael kept his temper in check. He was doing the one thing he swore he’d never do, work at the diner. He was now on the outside of everything instead of being the guy everyone once admired. He was still angry at his mother, who cared more about a baby than she did about him. She wasn’t even fooled when he tried to convince her that his son needed him to live with them. Instead, she told him to give her a couple of days and she’d once again help him. Michael waited, thinking of plans to get Emmett and Ted back on his side. He was sure once they heard what happened to him and how he was only trying to help Brian be happy, they’d understand why he did what he did. When his mother told him to meet her at the diner he’d already found out about the trust fund Brian must have set up for their son and planned to make Deb think he was changing his ways so she’d eventually give him control of everything. 

 

Lindsay’s parents had complained bitterly that the judge cut them off, not caring about what Brian did to Michael. Michael had no clue they could care less what the little idiot had to say. They were dealing with the backlash of public opinion about them. They were only listening to Michael because he’d been useful up until now. When he came to them trying to get out of the job, they finally had enough of the foolish man’s promises that he’d make sure Brian helped them to diminish the gossip by standing with them, making others see what they wanted them to see. Leaving Michael no choice but to take the job he’d been ashamed of his mother for doing all his life to support them. Deb had long passed the point where nothing but making sure Michael could take care of himself mattered to her. She would always be his mother, but it didn’t mean she would allow her or the innocent baby to suffer for Michael’s delusions.

 

Brian and Justin were busy with their own lives. The visited when the family had events. Had John and Peter over when the boys wanted to come. In essence, everything in Brian’s life was filled with real family and friends, nothing else could eclipse it for him. He didn’t bother to worry about Lindsay’s or Michael’s lives. Instead, he appreciated what they’d done, strangely enough, because without both of them and their attempts to get him for themselves he wouldn’t have Justin or Gus. They were what was waiting at the end of his search. He’d never feel grateful or thank his ex-best friends for what it took, but looking around his life, and the happiness that surrounded them, he viewed their parts in his life as necessary to where it eventually led. 

 

Which, two years later, led to a daughter, and a life filled with even more messes to come. But ones that were filled with happiness and the family Justin started by looking at Gus and saying. “He’s mine.”

 

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1243