Be Careful What You Wish For by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Sometimes it isn't all you thought it would be.

 

Story #45 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 18 Completed: Yes Word count: 50084 Read: 18629 Published: May 07, 2018 Updated: May 07, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

16. Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

17. Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

18. Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Be Careful What You Wish For

 

Chapter 1





The morning rush at Emmett’s bistro was waning. Emmett had just taken out a fresh tray of popovers from the oven to cool on a rack. Sean was preparing several trays of tarts and muffins for baking.

“Emmett.”

“Judge Schultz, how are you today? Are you planning another anniversary party already?”

“I’m very well, Emmett and no, no party at the moment. I see you’re very busy but could I possibly buy you a cup of coffee?” Judge Judith Schultz asked as she gave Emmett a poignant look then went to sit at Emmett’s special booth. Emmett and Sean exchanged looks then Emm quickly prepared a tray of coffee and popovers to take to the judge.

“Judge Schultz, is everything okay?” Emmett asked with concern as he poured her a cup of his special blend then plated a warm popover for her.

The judge fixed her coffee then took a sip. “Excellent,” the judge said with a sigh. “Emmett, I had a visit from Melanie Marcus the other day.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, she came to me for my advice as a family court judge, and as your friend.”

“I’m not sure I understand.”

“I have a situation that maybe you can help me with.”

“Anything I can do to help, just ask.”

“That’s what I like about you, Emmett,” the judge said as she took Emmett’s hand into hers and patted it. “There’s a young man, and up until six months ago his life was pretty idyllic. He lived in a comfortable home just inside the Pittsburgh city limits with parents that loved him. They doted on him, but the boy is far from spoiled. He followed the rules - go to school, tidy up after yourself, keep yourself clean and healthy. And they’re religious people, going to the local services every Sunday.”

“Sounds perfect so far.”

“Yes, well, one day his mother came home early from her usual weekly shopping trip. She found him in her room dressed up.”

“Dressed up?”

“In one of her best business suits. He was about to apply her makeup when she walked in.”

“Oh my!”

“Yes, you can imagine what a shock that was, for both of them. These are younger modern people. The parents had met in college, fell in love, but decided to wait until they were established with good jobs before marrying and having children. We’re not talking about old fuddy-duddies who are so inflexible that they’d break if their morning paper arrived a half an hour late. The boy promised that if mom didn’t tell his dad, he would stop.”

“But he didn’t stop, did he?”

“No, unfortunately he didn’t. About a week or two after the first incident when mom was at work, the boy was home. It was a school holiday; he was caught again. This time by the dad.”

Emmett gasped loudly.

“Yes, it wasn’t very pleasant. This time he was dressed in one of his mother’s sexier outfits, right down to the Victoria’s Secret underwear. The boy is only thirteen but growing like a weed. Both his parents are tall and I don’t doubt that when he’s done he’ll be your height or taller. With his back turned, in his mother’s pumps, the father almost mistook his son for his wife.”

“Oh no! He didn’t?”

“Heavens, no! But the father was livid. It took all his resolve not to strike out at the child. There was a terrible scene when the mother came home. And in the end the boy was sent to stay with his aunt, his mother’s older sister. But it’s not working out.”

“How can they send their child away like that?” Emmett asked with tears in his eyes. “We all have our little quirks. Some of the finest men I know dress up in women’s clothing, and get paid very handsomely to do so.”

“I know that, Emmett, and think of the alternative. I’d rather have a cross-dressing son than one on drugs. But their moral values, their way of life does not allow for such deviations. And what’s worse is the boy is quite beautiful. Thin, small features, with pale skin and soulful brown eyes.”

“Back in Hazelhurst my grandmother would call a child like that, delicate.”

“Yes, exactly.”

“Is the boy still with his aunt?”

“No, it was becoming intolerable. He was forced to change schools mid semester. He was an A and B student, now his grades have fallen terribly. The aunt had him on a very short leash, watching him like a hawk, waiting for him to attempt to dress up again. She went so far as to lock up her things and took him back and forth to and from school. He’s been beaten up by some bullies and shunned by the others.

“I learned about him from the school counselor. We immediately removed the boy from his aunt’s house, and frankly she didn’t care that we did. When we contacted the parents, they happily signed over guardianship to Hunter and the clinic. Melanie is his advocate, but, Emm, this child doesn’t belong there. He’s not a streetwise kid. He’s a baby unable to understand what he did that was so wrong, and I’m afraid that if we don’t find a loving home with accepting parents that will encourage his creativity rather than belittle it, we may lose him altogether.”

The judge paused for a moment to sip some more coffee and to have a bite of a popover.

“What’s the boy’s name?” Emmett asked.

“His name is Richard, Richie for short, but I hear he prefers the name Nina.”

“Well, a man must have the right moniker. It helps him to get in touch with his inner woman,” Emmett said with a flourish. “And is he all right? The beatings, I mean.”

“He’s still a little black and blue, but nothing broken. Dr. Nick has seen to his care. Richie is at ease with Nick. I think it helps to know that while they are very professional at the Center, it’s no secret that Hunter and Nick are in a solid relationship. They command respect from the kids.”

“Is Richie gay? Not all drag queens are, you know.”

“Unknown. And he is so young.”

“Thirteen isn’t all that young. I knew I was different from the time I was nine. But we’re not talking about me. How can I help? Do you want me to keep my ears open for a couple who may want to take Richie?”

“In a manner of speaking.”

“I’m afraid you’ve lost me again.”

“Emmett, Melanie told me that you and Drew are seriously looking into adopting or fostering a child.”

“I’m afraid that may be only a dream,” Emmett said with a forlorn sigh.

“Why?”

“Drew and I are not getting younger, and let’s just say some things in my past might not be looked upon as favorable experiences.”

“Are you talking about Fetch Dixon?”

Emmett gasped.

“I’m not that old, and Melanie can be brutally honest. Emmett, that was a very long time ago, and since then, look at what you’ve accomplished. Melanie and I had a long conversation about you and Drew, and then she recommended that I contact someone.”

“Who?”

“Brian Kinney.”

“Oh no, what did he have to say? Probably called me a nelly, um, never mind. What did he say?”

“He told me how invaluable you are to him and his family. And that his daughter might not have gone into the special class that she’s in now, and that when he needs sound advice from a different perspective, he doesn’t hesitate to call you. And if there was anyone who deserved to be a parent and really had the heart for it, it was you.”

“He said all that?” Tears were freely flowing down Emmett’s face.

“Yes, he did. He also said that it was about time you and Drew had children of your own so you could stop trying to steal his,” the judge said with a smile, making Emmett laugh.

“He has beautiful children. Have you seen them?” The judge nodded her head. “Gus is the perfect son. So handsome like his father and yet has that sweetness from his mother. So smart too. He’s studying business at Penn just like Brian did and taking art classes from PIFA. I truly believe Gus will be the next Kinney mogul.

“And Bree, such a little princess. Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Emmett said in a perfect imitation. “She’s a handful. She’s Justin biological daughter and has all of his creativity and his flirty ways. Which she doesn’t hesitate to use on her Dada Brian or on the rest of us. She is a Taylor, but so much like Brian, it’s scary. It wouldn’t surprise me if she became the goddess of the world one day. But she is a good girl. And she brings out the goodness in Brian, just like her Daddy Justin does.”

“Emmett, you have so much love in your heart. Would you consider taking Richie into your home? He needs to learn from example. To be a part of such an extended family that has so much love and respect for one another.”

“We’re far from perfect, Judge Schultz. We’ve had our fights and ups and downs.”

“No family is perfect but you are a family and that’s what’s important. It’s what Richie needs to see. He needs to learn that it takes all kinds to be a family, and everyone’s talents should be encouraged. Will you talk it over with Drew and get back to me?” the judge asked as she rose to leave.

“I will immediately, and I’ll get back to you.”

Judge Schultz took out one of her cards to give to Emmett. “This is my cell number. You call me, anytime.”

“I will, oh I will, and thank you,” Emmett said as he hugged the woman. “Wait!” he pleaded as he quickly went to the counter to make up a basket of popovers and muffins for the judge.

“You know it is illegal to bribe a judge,” Judge Schultz said before taking the basket.

“Judges have to eat, don’t they?” Emmett said with a toothy grin.

Judge Schultz smiled then graciously accepted the donation. “For my assistant,” she said as she turned and left the bistro.

Emmett scurried into the back office where he could make a call. “Drew! Drew, can you hear me?”

“Babe, I can hardly hear you. I’m on the tarmac at O’Hare. The Ironmen are flying to Miami. Is everything all right?”

“Oh Drewsie, we’re going to have a boy!”

“What?”

“A son! We’re going to have a son!”

“The sun! Yes, it’s very sunny!”

“No! No! We’re going to have a son!”

“Yes, the Miami Suns, that’s who we’re playing next.”

“Drew, get your ass on the plane, man, we’re takin’ off!” a voice murmured to Drew.

“No! I said we’re going to have a son,” Emmett shouted into his phone. “We’re pregnant!”

“What! Who’s pregnant?”

“Us! We’re pregnant and it’s a boy!”

“Drew, come on!” a member of the Ironmen team said, as he made a grab for Drew to get him to walk up the steps to the plane. In the melee, Drew dropped his phone which proceeded to shatter into several pieces. He quickly picked up the pieces then sprinted up the stairs.

As they all buckled themselves in, awaiting take off, Drew sat there staring at his broken phone, in shock.

“Drew, what’s wrong? Sorry about the phone.”

Drew just grunted.

“Was the call something important?”

“Uh, I think I’m about to become a father,” Drew said quietly as his brain was trying to piece together what he had heard.

“Cool, man! Hey, guys!” the young man shouted over the hum of the engines. “Drew’s about to be a father! Emm’s pregnant!”

Drew stared out the window watching the tarmac go by as they taxied to the runway. Shouts of congratulation and cheers filled the cabin.



*****



“Wait! He’s in a meeting! No! You can’t go in there!” the young receptionist shouted, as Emmett marched himself through Kinnetik and into Brian’s office.

Brian was in Pittsburgh for the day meeting Leda to update her on the Lethal Bike campaign and to fill in for Cynthia and other execs. Cynthia and a few execs had gone to London to meet with Shane McKenna at Kinnetik Isles.

“Oh pooh! He’ll see me!” Emmett exclaimed as he kept on marching.

“Emm, is anything wrong?” Teddy asked as Emmett burst through the office door.

“Honeycutt, what’s the meaning of this,” Brian growled. He had some inkling, but Brian kept it cool.

“Oh Brian!” Emmett shouted as he launched himself into Brian’s arms then proceeded to pepper kisses all over Brian’s face. The shocked Brian stood there, preventing the two of them from falling over and onto his desk.

“Emmett!” Teddy shouted. “Stop that!” he said as he tried to pry the tall queen away from his boss in fear of a Kinney explosion.

“Never a dull moment around here,” Leda murmured then laughed at the scene.

The young receptionist could only stand just inside the door, fearing she was going to be fired, and apologizing over and over again. “I couldn’t stop him,” she cried.

“Emmett, what the fuck is going on?” Brian finally managed to ask.

“We’re going to have a son!” Emmett declared then proceeded to swoon in Brian’s arms.

“You know something, Kinney? You were right, maybe I should have asked you to be the sperm donor for our child,” Leda said referring to herself and Jamie as she gathered up her briefcase. Their meeting was obviously over. She laughed all the way outside to her motorcycle.

“Boss, is there something I should know about?” Teddy ventured, receiving a scowl in return. “Let me help you.”

Ted and Brian dragged Emmett to the sofa. After a few minutes, Emmett revived himself. Ted and Brian were sitting on the coffee table waiting and staring.

“Hello,” Emmett said as he sat up.

“Welcome back to the land of the living,” Brian quipped.

“Emm, are you okay?” Teddy asked his best friend.

Emmett then recounted what had transpired earlier at his bistro.

“That’s wonderful news,” Teddy gushed as he hugged his friend.

“Judge Schultz told me what you said,” Emmett admitted to Brian as he looked over Teddy’s shoulder, still in a clinch.

“Did she say I told her you were a nelly-assed bottom queen?”

“Uh huh,” Emmett said with a grin and a nod.

“Good,” Brian said as he left the office in search of coffee.

“Uh, Emm, did Brian really say that to the judge?” Teddy asked as he gently pushed back from his friend. He didn’t think that was really a good thing, but he realized there may have been more to it than that.

“Yes, he did, the sweet man,” Emmett gushed in a way that only Emmett could.

“If you say so, Emm,” Teddy said as he was once again pulled into a hug by his friend.



*****



“And Emmett fainted?” Justin asked.

“Swooned would be more precise,” Brian replied. “Collapsed into my arms. I think it was all a ploy to cop a feel.”

“Is Auntie Emm all right?” Bree asked with worry on her face.

The family was seated around the kitchen table having dinner in their side of Edna’s Treasures. John, Bobby and Patrick had eaten earlier in their side of the cottages. Patrick was going to baseball practice accompanied by his fathers, and they couldn’t wait until Brian came back somewhat late from Pittsburgh.

“He’s fine, Squirt.”

“Good,” Bree said emphatically. “I love Auntie Emm.”

“Don’t we all,” Brian chuckled.

“You know you do,” Justin admonished. Brian shrugged. “So he and Drew are going to foster this kid?”

“Looks that way.”

“Is he like Curtis?” Bree asked.

“Kind of,” Brian replied choosing his words carefully. He didn’t want to get into the whole cross-dressing thing, and that the boy’s parents had turned him away. That would be too hard and too upsetting to try to explain to Bree.

“What’s his name, Dada?”

“You know, Emmett never said. He may not even know. He was too excited about this whole turn of events to tell us anything useful.”

Justin laughed. “Trust Emmett. I wonder if he’s even told Drew.”

“I certainly hope so. Springing a kid on your partner, especially one that may have problems, is big time stuff,” Brian observed.

“What kind of problems, Dada?” a little voice asked. Bree was taking this all in while she picked at her chicken and rice. She seemed to have developed Brian’s appetite rather than her biological father’s.

Brian groaned. “I don’t know, Squirt,” he answered. “There just may be some problems, that’s all.”

“I hope he turns out to be nice like Curtis,” Bree informed them.

“Me too,” Justin and Brian both said together. They certainly didn’t want big problems for their friend and neighbor.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 2





“You’re late tonight,” Leda said as Jamie entered their cottage.

“I had a staff meeting and some preparation for a lecture tomorrow. What time did you get home?”

“Early. I’ve been thinking…”

“Thinking?”

“Yeah, you know when your brain cells function…”

“You don’t need to get snotty about it,” Jamie griped as she slumped into a chair. “I’m beat.”

“Oh, that’s too bad.”

“Why too bad?”

“I … I wanted to discuss something with you.”

“What?” Jamie asked brusquely. She had a feeling she wasn’t going to like this.

“I picked up some dinner. I have it ready to be nuked. Come into the kitchen and have a glass of wine,” Leda suggested.

“What brought on this domesticity?” Jamie wanted to know, as she followed her partner into the kitchen. The table was nicely set and a candle burned in the center of it. Jamie took all this in as Leda handed her a glass of red wine. “What’s up?”

“Something happened today … and it got me thinking,” Leda said. She pressed the buttons to start the microwave.

“You keep saying you’ve been thinking. Tell me what the fuck about.”

“I was at Kinnetik today,” Leda began.

“And Brian Kinney ticked you off,” Jamie sighed. She had heard this refrain many times before.

“No, nothing like that. He was fine, better than fine actually.”

“Huh?”

Leda chuckled. “Brian has his moments.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Jamie asked in frustration.

“I guess I’m beating around the metaphorical bush, because I don’t know how to propose … what I want to propose.”

“Propose?” Jamie asked with a grin.

“Oh, um, no, not that kind of propose,” Leda said quickly.

“I didn’t really think it was,” Jamie said coyly, “but it’s fun yanking your chain every once in a while.”

Leda threw her lover a glare worthy of Brian Kinney himself. “Is … is that what you’d like?”

“I’m not really a traditional kind of girl,” Jamie said smiling fondly at her partner. “I’m happy with the way things are.”

“That’s good to know,” Leda said with a frown, “but what I want to talk to you about might change the way things are.”

“You … you’re not leaving me, are you?” Jamie asked in consternation.

“God, no!” Leda said as the microwave beeped and she opened the door. She didn’t say anything else while she dished up the Thai food and sat down across from Jamie.

Jamie waited, knowing that pushing Leda was not usually a good idea. She just wished the woman would get to the point. Something seemed to have changed.

Leda took a bite of her food. “This is good,” she said.

Jamie wanted to scream, but she bit her tongue and merely replied, “Yes it is. I’m glad you thought of this.”

“Emmett Honeycutt came into Kinnetik while I was there,” Leda said next.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he seems to think that he and that hunky Drew Boyd are going to get a kid to foster.”

“Really?” Jamie asked. The shoe had dropped. “And that got you thinking about a baby for us.”

Leda nodded slowly. “What do you think about that?”

“I thought we were going to wait.”

“We have waited … for months.”

“I … I don’t know if I’m ready.”

“I don’t know if I am either,” Leda admitted. “And I don’t want to do this tomorrow. But I think maybe it’s time to start thinking about a child … if we still want one.”

“Do you? Want a child, I mean?” Jamie asked.

“Yes … yes, I do.”

“Then we need to discuss this, and seriously think about what it means,” Jamie advised.

“Exactly.”

Jamie smiled slightly. “This is good,” she said digging into her food.

“Yeah, good.”



*****



“Bri, have you thought any more about having another child?” Justin asked Brian. Justin was standing at his easel, preparing another canvas for a commissioned landscape. The subject of the landscape was Stonehenge. A Justin Taylor admirer had seen photos of the sketches Justin had done while in England. Sidney had posted the photos onto the official Justin Taylor website. The art patron was so taken with the detail of the Heelstone that a request came to Sidney via Charles Higgins, and Justin was happy to comply.

“Didn’t we have this conversation already?” Brian said without looking up from his Lethal Bike campaign spreadsheet.

“I know but we do have the room and even if we didn’t, we could always get John to build an extension. Bree would love a sister.”

“Justin, what’s gotten your maternal instincts all in a snit? You and Emmett planning a baby shower?”

“Fuck you, Kinney! You can be such an asshole sometimes.”

“You state the obvious but that doesn’t answer my question.”

“We have so much, Bri. Would it hurt to share it with another child?” Justin asked from his easel. Brian put down his reports and got up from his chaise to join Justin.

“Sunshine, you know how I feel about this. I’m not denying that we have a lot to give but, Justin, I’m going have to be stubborn and very selfish about this. I like the way things are. And if I want to give, I’ll give more to Hunter’s kids or the Farm or any other organization that gets kids off the streets and into good homes or programs. Justin, we have a son at college and a daughter who’s ready to join him!”

Justin snickered at Brian’s remark.

“Jus, the point is...”

“I get it, Bri. I guess I got all caught up in Emmett’s enthusiasm. We’ve been on the phone every day for the past week since Judge Schultz made her suggestion. Drew’s been away with the Ironmen, so Emm’s been redecorating all on his own.”

“I pity Drew when he gets a look at their spare room.”

“Why?” Justin asked as Brian kissed him to help take away the sting and disappointment of his harsh words.

“I’d wager that the room will look like Bree’s.”

“Bree’s room! Why?”

“How else would a nelly bottom queen decorate for a drag queen?” Brian got a swat to his gut.

“Go! Get back to your reports, I have work to do,” Justin said as he pushed Brian away then returned to his easel.

“Justin?” Brian began as he settled back onto the chaise and took up his papers.

“I’m all right, Brian. My maternal flash is over. You’re right, like always. I really don’t think I could handle another child especially one like Bree. We have our hands quite full,” Justin said as he began to sketch out the large stones of the famous Henge onto his canvas.

Brian breathed a heavy sigh of relief then returned to his reports.



*****



“Hunter, what are Ritchie’s favorite colors?” Emmett asked Hunter over the phone. It was agreed by Hunter, Judge Schultz and Emmett that Emmett would wait to be formally introduced to Richie until Drew was back in Pittsburgh. They felt a united front and show of support would be much more beneficial than if Emmett brought Richie home alone.

“I’m not sure,” Hunter replied.

“Well, can’t you ask him?” Emmett asked with some impatience.

“Emmett, may I suggest you start with something basic and then when Richie feels comfortable, you and he can pick out something together.”

“Oh. Well, that makes a lot of sense.”

“Emmett, Richie has been thrown out of his home then removed from his aunt’s house. It might take him some time to feel secure enough to want to decorate. He may want to keep it spartan for a while until he knows this latest arrangement will work out.”

“I hadn’t thought about that. Hunter, do you think Richie needs counseling?”

“Yes, and he’s getting it now. Karen is working with him and will continue to work with him for as long as Richie needs it. This is a very crucial time in a child’s life. He’s questioning his sexuality and his acceptance by his peers and family.”

“What about school?”

“Richie is exceptionally bright; however, at the moment, he’s afraid to express himself. You’re going to have to demonstrate a lot of patience.”

“Patience is my middle name,” Emmett extolled.

“Emmett...”

“Fine, I understand and I can tone it down if necessary.”

“Emm, right now Richie needs consistency and to know he’s trusted. There’ll be plenty of time for painting, decorating and flames later.”

“Okay, I get it. Drew will be home in a few days, I’ll call you then.”

“Good enough. Bye, Emm, and try to relax.”

“I'll try. Good bye, honey.”



*****



“Hey, Curtis,” JR said as she came out the front doors of the high school.

“Hi, JR, haven’t seen you around too much lately,” Curtis replied with a big grin. He liked JR … a lot.

“Bree had her birthday sleepover and I was kind of busy with that.”

“Bree? Of course, it was her birthday. I should have remembered. Stupid me!” Curtis said shaking his head.

“I’m sure Bree won’t mind that you forgot.”

“Yeah, but I mind.”

“Why?” JR asked with curiosity.

“I … I kind of feel like she was the first one who accepted me into the family. I sort of owe her the life I have now.”

JR smiled fondly at her friend. “She’d love to know that, you know. You could send her a belated card.”

“I could put a big rainbow on it like she does,” Curtis joked.

“I wouldn’t do that,” JR warned with a laugh.

“Huh? Why not?”

“That’s Bree’s special thing. She wouldn’t appreciate you using it.”

“Oh, okay. I guess I’ll have to think of something else.”

JR nodded her agreement. “Did you hear about Emmett’s good news?”

“He’s doing a party for the governor?” Curtis guessed with a wicked grin.

“No, way better than that … at least as far as Emmett is concerned.”

“What?” Curtis asked.

“He and Uncle Drew are going to foster a child.”

“A … child?”

“Yeah, you know, a kid, someone not grown to adulthood.”

“I know what a child is,” Curtis laughed. “What kind of a kid?”

“One kind of like you before you got fostered by Dr. Raph and Hector.”

“Do you think Emmett is the best one to be fostering a child?” Curtis asked with a frown. His face had turned serious.

“I think he’ll be great.”

“But … everyone calls him Auntie Emm. How’s a kid going to feel about that?”

“Auntie Emm is great with kids. You should have seen him with the little girls at Bree’s sleepover. He was the best. Any kid would be lucky to be fostered by him,” JR said coldly, taking offense that Curtis seemed to think Emmett wasn’t good enough.

“I … I didn’t mean to upset you,” Curtis backtracked. “It’s just that…”

“Just what?”

“If I had been put into a home with Emmett, I’m not sure what I would have done,” Curtis admitted.

“You don’t like him?” JR asked in surprise. She thought everyone liked Auntie Emm as much as she did.

“I like him a lot … now.”

“But your first impression would have been…”

“That he was a … lunatic, a pervert.”

“That’s disgusting,” JR said quickly. She didn’t like hearing this.

“I’m just being honest. I didn’t say that to hurt you.”

“I know,” JR said with a sigh. “Why do we have to have these prejudices?”

“He does make quite a strange first impression,” Curtis added.

“Yeah, I guess. I’ve heard them say his flame burns bright.” Curtis nodded. “I hope he doesn’t turn this kid off right from the get-go.”

“Is it a girl or a boy that he’s getting?”

“Do you think it matters?”

“It might. You said he got along really well with the little girls. Maybe he should get a girl to foster.”

JR frowned. “I think it’s a boy. You don’t think a boy would like living with Auntie Emm and Uncle Drew?”

“I can’t speak for every kid…”

“But you wouldn’t have liked it?”

“Probably not. I didn’t much like going to Raph and Hector’s either.”

“You didn’t? Because they were gay?”

“Partly, but it’s mostly that I didn’t know what to expect from them.”

“Then this kid won’t know what to expect from Emmett. That might be a good thing.”

“Until he sees what Emmett is like,” Curtis cautioned.

“And you think that will scare him off.”

“I’m just saying…”

“Well, I think you’re wrong,” JR stated.

“Believe me, I hope I am. Foster kids need good homes, and Emmett and Drew would give that to a kid.”

“If he’s willing to give it a chance…”

Curtis nodded. “I hope he will.”

“Well, we don’t know anything about this boy,” JR said. “Maybe he’ll take to them immediately.”

“I doubt that.”

“Why?”

“Because, to end up in foster care means you’ve been through some shitty stuff, maybe even horrible stuff. You don’t trust anyone by the time you get there.”

“I hope you’re wrong.”

“I hope so too, but I doubt it.”

“You’re a little ray of sunshine today,” JR told him.

“Sorry, but I thought I should be honest.”

“That’s one of the things I like best about you, your honesty,” JR admitted with a smile.

“Thanks.”

“Now you’re supposed to say what you like best about me,” JR laughed.

“I am?”

JR heaved a sigh. “Men!”

“You just called me a man,” Curtis grinned.

“Well, you do belong to that persuasion, don’t you?” JR joked.

“I love your sense of humor.”

“See, there you go. That wasn’t so hard, was it?”

“Not at all,” Curtis laughed. “Have you got time to grab a soda or a milkshake?”

“Sure.”

“Let’s go,” Curtis said, and JR fell into step with him, as they headed for the student hangout near the school.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 3






“How’s this?” Emmett asked Drew as he held up a navy blue shirt.

“It’s fine,” Drew replied curtly.

“Are you sure because I’ve always thought I looked a bit drab in navy. I don’t think it goes with my complexion,” Emmett went on as Drew was becoming more antsy. “Maybe the teal,” Emmett mumbled as he picked a teal sweater from the bed. Emmett, in search of the right outfit to wear to meet Richie, had practically emptied his side of their closet. Drew was not happy and if they didn’t leave in ten minutes, they would be late.

The meeting with Richie was to take place at the Jason Kemp Center. The parties included Melanie, as child representative, Hunter, Karen, Judge Schultz, and of course, Richie. The judge and Melanie had back up or alternative plans arranged just in case it didn’t work out well with Emmett and Drew, but they were hoping that it would. Even Melanie who admittedly had little tolerance for the flaming type thought it would be a good match. Emmett was beginning to have some doubts.

“God, honey, why is this so difficult? I’ve never ever had problems before. I always know what works on me,” Emmett continued on and on until Drew couldn’t take it anymore.

“EMM!” Drew roared, startling his partner so pronouncedly that both the navy and the teal sweaters went sailing into the air.

“Yes, honey?” Emmett said meekly.

“Emmett,” Drew growled, trying to rein in his anger and frustration. “Emm, you know I love you, but right now I want to burn every fucking piece of clothing on this bed. Now, you look fine! You look better than fine. Your outfit says Emmett Honeycutt, independent man. An independent man who knows how to match lavender and teal with just a hint of sage green. If we don’t leave now, I will fucking kill you then drag your body to the Center. Put on your fucking fake but fabulous fur coat and LET’S GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!” Drew shouted as if he was calling out a play on a noisy football field.

“Okay, honey,” Emmett said as he carefully picked up a sage green silk scarf, draping it around his neck then quietly went to get said fake fur coat, um, fabulous fake fur coat. Drew was close on his heels, herding the man out, locking up then taking Emmett’s elbow to guide him out of the building toward the Hummer.

“Drewsie?”

“AH! Not a word until we get to the center.”

“But...”

“Emm, babe, is it an emergency?” Drew asked as he turned in his seat to look at Emmett. Emmett shook his head no.

“Is my fly open?” Again a no shake.

“Is there something nasty hanging out of my nose?” Another negative.

“Then can it please wait until we get to the center and I park?” Emmett nodded his head then sat back as he buckled his seatbelt.

They arrived a few minutes later. Emmett had remained quiet for the few blocks that they had driven. Drew found a convenient space that was long enough to take the mammoth truck and parked. As they got out and began to walk toward the door of the center, Drew stopped and turned to his partner.

“Emmett, I apologize. I know you’re nervous; so am I. And I know how important it is for you to look right. I shouldn’t have yelled like that, it was wrong of me. What was it you wanted to say before I was so rude?”

“I love you, Drew. I’m sorry I’m being such an ass.”

Drew stared into Emmett’s loving eyes. “Baby,” was all that Drew could say as he fiercely hugged his partner to his chest. “God, I love you. Babe, I promise you, no matter what happens today, somehow I will make you a parent.”

“Oh Drew!” Emmett cried as he allowed his tears of joy and nervousness to flow down his face. Drew pulled a wad of tissues out of his coat pocket and stuffed them into Emmett’s hands. Drew had come prepared for most contingencies including an overly emotional Emmett.

“You all right now, Babe? We gotta get in there.”

“I’m all right,” Emmett said as he took a deep cleansing breath and let it go. His usual cheery expression was now back where it should be. “Let’s go,” he said as he held out his hand for Drew. Hand in hand they sprinted up the steps.



*****



“Maybe they don’t want a freak?” Richie said trying to keep the tremble out of his voice.

“No, Richie, I’m sure that’s not it,” Judge Schultz said trying to be supportive and reassuring.

“I know Emmett, and sometimes he can be a little dramatic,” Melanie said by way of explanation.

“My guess is that he couldn’t find the right thing to wear,” Hunter snarked, getting glares from the women and a nervous snicker from Richie.

They all looked up as they heard the Center’s doors open and close.

“Hi, hi, hi!” Emmett said automatically then, “Hello,” with a little bit more reserve.

“Hi, Emmett, Drew, please have a seat,” Hunter said as he indicated the two chairs that were set aside for the men. “You both know Melanie and Karen, and Emmett, you’ve already met Judge Schultz. Drew, do you know the judge?” Hunter asked. He was acting as host.

“Yes, the judge and I are acquainted. Very nice to see you again, ma’am,” Drew politely drawled as he extended his hand out.

During the exchange of pleasantries, Richie carefully studied Emmett and Drew. He felt sort of a kindred spirit with Emmett but sensed Emmett was holding something back. Richie just couldn’t figure out what. Drew reminded Richie of his father, the big strong macho type, but if Drew was a macho man, what was he doing with Emmett? Until Richie had some answers, he felt he needed to hold back a little too.

“Richie?” Hunter’s voice broke through Richie’s reverie. “Hey, buddy, you still with us?” Hunter asked.

“Yes, sir. Sorry,” Richie replied softly as he looked down at his hands.

“Richard Cross, I’d like you to meet Mr. Emmett Honeycutt and Mr. Drew Boyd,” Hunter said formally.

“Hello, Richie,” Emmett said as he held out his hand for Richie to shake. Richie gently shook the proffered hand.

“Hello, Richie, I’m Drew,” Drew said stating the obvious and sticking out his hand.

“Hello, sir,” Richie said as he tried to give Drew his sturdiest grip that he could. His hand was dwarfed by Drew’s large quarterback paw.

“Um, Richie, do you have any hobbies?” Emmett asked and then immediately regretted his question. “Crap, I mean, are you into music or books or sports? My Drewsie is an Ironman,” Emmett gushed before he could get control of himself.

“I like books,” Richie was able to softly admit.

“We can hit the bookstore on our way home,” Emmett said with a big grin. The grin quickly turned into a frown when a thought came to him. “That is if you like us and you want to come home with us, and if Judge Schultz approves and, oh Drew!” Emmett sobbed, unable to hide his tears of longing.

Drew pulled out another wad of tissues from his pocket and stuck them in Emmett’s hand.

“Please excuse my partner, Judge Schultz, ladies,” Drew began with an acknowledging nod to the ladies in the room that had the power to bring tears of joy or sadness to his partner. “Ladies, I’m not familiar with the rules of this proceeding so forgive me if I just speak my mind.” He paused for a moment, waiting for any objections. Hearing none, Drew went on.

“Richie, my partner and I have been together for a lotta years, and he’s my best friend. Up until a few months ago, we really haven’t seriously considered having children. And we certainly didn’t think our lifestyle was very compatible with having a baby. We began talking about adopting or fostering an older child a little while before the judge here, spoke to Emmett. The judge told us a bit about your background but I’m not sure if anyone told you about ours?”

The adults shook their heads so Drew continued. “Emmett moved here to Liberty Avenue in his early twenties from Hazelhurst, Mississippi. He’s what we call a good ole boy.”

Hunter snorted and Melanie rolled her eyes.

“Well, my version of a good ole boy. The typical ones would probably disagree with me.”

“That’s an understatement,” Mel grumbled.

“He came up here with nothing, worked real hard and now has his own catering and event planning business. He also has his own restaurant in the Village. He knows a lot of stuff about food. He’s also one of the bravest and nicest men that I know. I want to be with him for the rest of my life,” Drew admitted to Richie, Emm and to the others present.

“Oh Drewsie,” Emm cried and a few more tissues wound up in his hands.

“Now, me, I grew up down south, that’s why I talk funny and I grew up being able to throw a football. I was lucky and a few years back I played pro ball. I retired but I still work for the team, traveling with them when it’s football season to help broadcast the game.”

“Honey, don’t forget your store.” Emmett stopped sniffling long enough to promote Drew’s pro shop.

“Thank you, Babe. I have a sporting goods store in the Village,” Drew said as he searched Richie’s eyes for any sign of recognition. He knew that Richie’s parents were a little conservative so he wasn’t sure if they would have shopped in the Village. “Now, these good people have told us that you need a new home. We would very much like to offer ours and if you think you’d like to stay, we can make this as permanent as you like.”

Richie was very quiet during Drew’s speech. He appeared to be considering every word.

“Can I ask something?” Richie ventured; he had nothing to lose.

“Sure, sweetie,” Emmett answered automatically. “Fire away.”

“Why would you want someone like me?”

“Someone like you?” Emmett parroted back.

“Um, I like...” Richie became silent with embarrassment and shame. His eyes were growing moist.

“You know, my Drewsie is very smart but he forgot to tell you what I used to do,” Emmett said proudly. Hunter began to sweat, Mel groaned and Karen’s eyes were about to bug out of her head.

“Emmett, we don’t...” the judge started.

“I used to work at one of Liberty Avenue’s most fashionable boutiques.” Emmett’s voice rose up an octave when he said the word fashionable. The rest of the adults in the room let out an audible sigh of relief. “It’s still there, as a matter of fact. The shop is called Torso, and I used to help all of my friends find that special outfit for any occasion. Did you know that I once went to a party for a senator?”

Richie’s eyes grew wide, duly impressed.

“Yes, I did. I wore this lovely pink vintage Chanel suit with lush fur trim, with matching bag and pumps, thank you very much. I had the perfect pillbox hat to go with it too. My only problem was finding the right wig and pantyhose. Pantyhose can never be too sheer,” Emmett added in a whisper as he leaned in toward the boy.

The judge coughed.

“Well, yes, my point is that I should have apologized for our tardiness. I was trying to find the right thing to wear. I really wanted to make a good impression. I hope you can forgive me and maybe you’d like to give us a try?” Emmett pleaded via his very unorthodox non sequitur.

As soon as Richie was able to get his jaw up off the floor and roll his eyes back into his head, he nodded his consent.

“Fabulous!” Emmett stated in true Emmett style. “Now, let’s get a good look at you,” Emmett said as he urged the young man up out of his chair. “Oh honey, you’re too skinny. A growing boy like you. No matter, we’ll get you fattened up soon enough. Are you hungry?”

Emmett received a pensive nod.

“So am I. Let’s see...the diner! We can go there. You know, the Liberty Diner is one of my most favorite places in the whole wide world!” Emmett went on and on as he was about to lead the nervous boy out.

“Emmett,” Drew called out using his very serious, don’t mess with me, I’ve just had a very serious conversation with a certain princess and I’m very confused, tone of voice.

“Yes, honey?” Emmett answered sweetly.

“Emmett, I believe we may have some papers to sign before you lead Richie down the garden path or in this case Liberty Avenue,” Drew said giving Emmett the eye that said tone it down for five more minutes.




“Of course, silly me,” Emmett admonished himself then primly sat back down. “Where do I sign?” he asked as a fuchsia feathered pen worked its way out of his small hip bag. Drew buried his face in his hands, while Mel, Karen and the judge stared in disbelief and Hunter broke out into laughter.                                               

Richie had no idea what to make of this strange but seemingly nice man that was willing to give him a home.



 


*****



“Dada, Daddy, ‘member at Christmastime I liked the music so much?” Bree asked. She batted her long blond lashes at her fathers as they sat across the table from her in Edna’s Treasures.

“Yes, Squirt, I remember.”

“Our teacher was telling us that she has a friend who teaches the piano. She said to tell our parents, coz we might want lessons,” Bree said uncertainly.

“You think you’d like to play the piano, sweetheart?” Justin asked.

Bree nodded her head. “There’s one in the classroom at school and it sounds really nice.”

“Have you tried it?” Brian asked.

Bree shook her head. “We’re not allowed to touch it, but the teacher plays it sometimes and we sing.”

“You like to sing, don’t you?” Justin asked with a smile.

Bree smiled back. “I love to sing.”

“But you think you’d like to play the piano too?” Brian questioned.

“Maybe.”

“It’s not enough to say maybe, Bree,” Brian cautioned. “If you decide you want to do this, we’d have to buy a piano and figure out where to put it and you’d have to promise to stick with it.”

“Oh,” Bree said looking into her cereal bowl and not knowing what to say about that.

“So, do you really want to do this?”

Bree nodded her head, but didn’t look at either of her fathers.

“It would be a big commitment, Bree,” Justin advised. “You’d have to practice several times a week. It might mean you couldn’t play with Patrick or Beau. You’d have to sit at the piano and play, kind of like homework.”

“Homework?” Bree asked in a little voice. This wasn’t what she had bargained for when she asked about the piano lessons. She just wanted to play the big piano at school.

“Yes, we’d set up a schedule of times for you to practice,” Brian said.

“Oh?”

“Do you want to think about it some more?”

Bree shook her head. “You don’t want me to do it, so I guess I won’t,” she said with a sigh.

Brian glanced at Justin. “I didn’t say I didn’t want you to take the lessons, Squirt,” Brian said gently.

“Yeah, but you told me all the bad parts and no good parts. You must not want me to do it.”

Justin stifled a chuckle. Sometimes their daughter was wise beyond her years, beyond their years. “What do you think are the good parts?” he asked her.

“I think I could play for singing at Christmastime when everybody comes here,” Bree said bluntly.

“You’d like to do that?”

“Yes.”

“It might take a long time to learn to play well enough for that.”

“I can do it, Daddy.”

“I know you can, sweetheart. You can do anything you set your mind to.” Justin smiled at his daughter and gave her hand a little squeeze.

Bree smiled wanly at her father. “But you don’t want me to do it, do you, Dada?” she asked looking into her father’s eyes.

Brian swallowed hard. “I want you to do it if that’s what you really want,” he finally said. “Maybe you should think some more about it.”

Bree frowned. She still wasn’t sure her father really was agreeable to her taking piano lessons. “I could think about it some more,” she said sliding off her chair.

“Where are you going?” Brian asked.

“To my room to think.”

Brian almost choked, but managed to say, “That’s a good idea, Squirt.”

Bree ran out of the kitchen heading for her bedroom.

“She’s amazing,” Justin chuckled.

“How the fuck did she figure out that I didn’t want her to take the fucking lessons?”

“She told you how,” Justin chuckled. “She’s too smart for her own good.”

“You can say that again.”

Justin stared at Brian for a moment. “Why don’t you want her to take the lessons?”

“I…it’s going to be expensive,” Brian said lamely.

Justin snorted derisively. “It’s not like we can’t afford a fucking piano or a keyboard.”

“I know,” Brian agreed.

“So what’s the problem?”

“It’s soundproofing her room that’s going to cost a fortune.”

Justin laughed out loud. “You think we should put the piano in her bedroom?” he asked.

“I’ll still be able to hear it, even if it’s in there,” Brian griped.

“So, go garden while she’s practicing.”

“That’s fine for this time of year, but what about the winter?”

“Kinnetik?”

“And when it’s raining?”

“Kinnetik Part Deux.”

“And when I completely lose it and grab a gun.”

“Kinnetik N’rgy.”

Brian laughed. “What will get me sent to Kinnetik Isles?”

“When I can’t stand listening to you complain any longer,” Justin said with a straight face.

“I fucking hope she decides that piano lessons aren’t a good idea,” Brian said hopefully.

“Dream on!” Justin responded as he started clearing away the breakfast dishes.

Brian heaved a huge sigh and closed his eyes. He was sure that life as they knew it was about to be destroyed.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 4






“Have a seat, guys, I’ll be right with you!” Debbie shouted from behind the counter of the diner. Emmett looked around in disbelief as he led Drew and Richie to a booth.

“Debbie, sweetie, weren’t you and Carl following the sun? And does he know you’re here?” Emmett asked as Debbie approached their table with three glasses of water.

“Emmett, honey, if you haven’t noticed, the sun is back in Pittsburgh and I got bored, so I thought I’d give Lacy a break. She’s been working non-stop for a while now.”

“Where is the little lady?” Drew asked as he perused the menu.

“She and Katerina have taken a few days off to get reacquainted,” Deb explained.

“Did they go anywhere special?” Emmett inquired.

“Brian set them up at the Plaza. We have meatloaf,” Debbie added as she gazed at the young man sitting next to Emmett. She thought that he could use something hardy in his stomach. “Emm, who’s your little friend?”

“Oh how rude of me! Mrs. Debbie Novotny Horvath, allow me to present Master Richard Cross, our new foster son!” Emmett gushed proudly.

“Your new...oh honey!” Debbie shrieked as she tossed her pad and pencil onto the table then scooped up Richie to hug him into her ample bosom.

“Debbie! Deb! He’s turning blue!” Emmett cried as he and Drew attempted to extricate the stunned boy from Debbie’s very strong arms.

After they freed the boy and got him back into the booth, Emmett and Drew gave Debbie the short version of Richie’s story.

“Sweetheart!” Debbie managed as she dabbed away the tears in her eyes. “Welcome to the family,” she said as she extended her hand. “You now have your first Grandmother,” Debbie proclaimed. “I recommend the meatloaf. The cook used real beef this time and my recipe,” she said with a nod and a wink.

Emmett exchanged looks with Drew and with Richie who was still rather quiet.

“Three meatloaf specials, Deb!” Emmett ordered with his best toothy smile.

“Comin’ right up, honey. Three pink plate specials!” Debbie yelled into the kitchen then got the boys some soda.

“Mr. Emmett, who is Debbie?” Richie ventured shyly as he took a sip of water.

“Honey, Debbie is a very special lady. She’s helped out a lotta folks around here, including me. She used to be a waitress here before she retired a couple of years ago. But you can take the waitress out of the diner, but not the diner out of the waitress. We mostly see her at family functions and when she issues her summonses.”

“Summonses?”

“Every Sunday, no matter what, our gang would go to Debbie’s house for dinner. She’s a great cook and loves to feed people. Sometimes it was my only good meal for the week,” Emmett reminisced. “I owe her a lot.”

“So do I, Babe,” Drew said fondly as he reached over the table to take Emmett’s hand. Emmett smiled brightly.

“Now, Debbie can get a little loud...”

“Keep yer fucking shirt on!” Debbie yelled at the cook who was abusing the bell.

“But she has a heart of gold and loves all of her family,” Emmett went on. “And you, my boy, have just become one of the family!”

Three pink plate specials landed in front of the new family.

“Eat up, boys, and don’t forget to leave room for pie!” Debbie beamed as she went off to tend to another customer, ruffling Richie’s hair before she left.

“Who is that?” Richie asked with his eyes opened very wide after he finished off his meatloaf and sat up a little straighter in an effort to digest and to make room for the expected pie. The bell over the door had just announced the arrival of a very striking couple.

“Bri, it’s a tiny one. We can afford it.”

“That’s not the point.”

“She’s never asked for something like this before. I think she’s serious,” Justin said as they stood just inside the door scanning the diner for a booth. “Look, I’m buying the damn piano, and if it doesn’t work out we can always donate it to the school or the Kinnetik Daycare Center. Okay?” Justin said, effectively ending the debate. Then seeing Emm and Drew, he steered his stubborn mate over to the guys.

“That, my dear boy, is Liberty Avenue’s own royal couple,” Emmett supplied as Drew turned in his seat to look. Richie looked a bit perplexed as Brian and Justin made their regal entrance.

“Don’t be nervous,” Drew counseled. “Brian will just look you over and Justin is very easy going.”

“Hi guys!” Justin greeted them as Drew slid over to make room.

“Sunshine!” Debbie screeched as she gave Justin an equally enthusiastic hug and a loud lipsticky kiss.

“Debbie, what are you doing here?” Justin’s muffled question was just about heard from between her boobs.

“Deb, let the boy breathe,” Brian snickered. She released Justin to reach up to give Brian’s cheek a light smack then kissed the same cheek.

“How are you, kiddo?”

“Does she know everyone?” Richie whispered to Emmett.

“Yes, she does. Brian was Debbie’s first stray. Justin was one too,” Emmett explained.

“Does Carl know you’re trying to take over the diner?” Brian snarked as he slipped into the booth next to Drew.

“Don’t be fresh,” Deb said as she pointed a sharp red nail at him. “And yes, he knows. He was asked to consult on an old case down at the station so when Lacy asked me to help out for a few days, I figured why not. If he could kibitz, why couldn’t I. Besides, I miss my boys. Coffee?” she asked before handing them menus.

“Where’s the princess?” Emmett asked.

“Home with the guys. We came in to check out pianos,” Justin explained as he ordered the meatloaf.

“Pianos?” Drew asked.

“Yes, unfortunately,” Brian grumbled then got an elbow to his ribs for the trouble.

“I want to hear all about it but before I do I’d like to introduce you to Richie. Richie, this is Brian Kinney and Justin Taylor, my very best friends and sometimes we’re neighbors!”

“Hello,” Richie said softly as he held out his hand.

“Very nice to meet you,” Justin said as he shook Richie’s hand. Justin’s smile lit up the diner.

“Oh, Sunshine, I missed that smile,” Debbie commented sincerely as she brought coffee for Brian and a Coke for Justin.

“Hello, Richard,” Brian said, shaking Richie’s hand with an arch of his brow.

“Just ignore the eyebrow,” Emmett whispered loud enough for all to hear. “We do. So what’s this about a piano?”

Justin explained about Bree’s desire to play the piano.

“And why shouldn’t she be given the chance to play the piano. You know how much she loves music. I think you should go for it,” Emmett said decisively.

“Well I guess that does it, Sunshine,” Brian snarked. “Emmett has spoken.”

“Oh pooh, just drink your coffee before it gets cold. So did you buy one?” Emmett looked at Justin knowingly.

“We compromised,” Justin said with a sigh. “I wanted to get one of those small rectangle shaped pianos but Brian pointed out that Bree still wouldn’t be able to reach the pedals or the keys.”

“He does have a point,” Drew said reasonably. “And it might frustrate her.”

“So we ordered her a tiny child’s baby grand,” Justin explained. “If she’s really serious about learning then we can graduate to a regular one.” Brian’s sigh could be heard above the din of the diner. Justin snickered.

“Let me guess,” Emmett chuckled. “It’s pink!”

Justin nodded as he giggled. Drew roared with laughter as Brian banged his head on the table then forked over the brochure for Emmett and Drew to see.

“Don’t worry, Brian, it’ll fit in the Wendy house!” Emmett declared and this time when they laughed, Brian joined in.



*****



“What did you think of him?” Justin asked as they were driving back to Edna’s Treasures. They had a sack of lemon bars and popovers with them. The tiny pink instrument would be delivered to Kinnetik on Monday.

“Seems a nice enough young man.”

“He’s a little quiet.”

“He’s scared. And he’s going to live with the biggest fairy in Pittsburgh. That alone would have me shitting in my pants.”

“That’s gross.”

“But am I wrong?”

“No,” Justin conceded.

“He’s getting counseling. We should let him settle in before springing the whole family on him.”

“It looked like he survived Debbie.”

“Yes, but she was distracted by the diner and that damn bell. He’s not ready for Sunday dinner.”

“Is anyone really ready for Sunday dinner?”

“Probably not, but if he’s going to survive this family then he’ll have to learn to survive dinner with Debbie.”



*****



“Patrick, come and play with me in the Wendy house?” Bree asked batting her eyelashes at her cousin.

“I don’t like playing tea party,” Patrick replied.

“We don’t have to play tea party.”

“Then what are we going to play?”

“We could play Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Donkey. Auntie Emm left it for me,” Bree suggested.

“That’s a girl’s game.”

“Well, I’m a girl.”

“And I’m not.”

Bree frowned. This used to be so easy. Patrick was always willing to play with her. What had changed? “What would you like to play?” Bree asked hoping Patrick would come up with something that they both liked.

“Catch.”

“Catch what?”

“Catch a baseball, silly,” Patrick retorted.

“We can’t play that in the Wendy house.”

“I know that, but we can play it outside.”

“I’m not so good at catch,” Bree said with a downward look. She really didn’t want to play catch.

“You only get better if you practice,” Patrick advised.

“Okay,” Bree sighed resigned to the fact that if she wanted to play with Patrick, catch seemed to be the only game in town.

Patrick smiled and ran to grab his glove and ball. He returned quickly, carrying an extra glove. “This is for you,” Patrick said handing Bree the mitt.

“I don’t know how to use this,” Bree stated.

“You put it on your left hand. It’ll fit you. It’s one of my old ones that’s too small for me now.”

“You grew tall,” Bree told him as he put the mitt on her left hand. Patrick nodded and smiled. He liked being tall and strong like his dad. “This feels funny,” Bree said looking skeptically at the glove.

“You’ll get used to it. Let’s go.” Patrick opened the sun porch door and waited for Bree to join him.

“I don’t know,” Bree replied, but she followed him outside. “Maybe I can’t catch the ball.”

“I won’t throw it hard, Bree,” Patrick promised.

“Okay.”

Patrick moved away from his cousin and plopped the ball in his mitt a few times, getting the feel of it. “Ready?” he asked.

“Is that ball hard?” Bree asked with a worried look on her face. She knew Patrick was good at baseball, but she had never had anything to do with it. Soccer was her game.

“It’s a softball,” Patrick replied.

“Oh,” Bree responded. It didn’t look very soft. And it was pretty big.

“Here it comes,” Patrick said lobbing the ball into the air towards Bree.

Bree held out her glove and closed her eyes as the ball headed towards her. She felt something hit the edge of the baseball glove on her hand. She opened her eyes to see the ball rolling away from her. “What happened?” she asked.

“You have a better chance of catching the ball if you open your eyes,” Patrick advised, as he ran over and scooped up the ball. “I’ll throw it again. Try to keep your eyes open.

Bree nodded and held her glove out again. Patrick lobbed another one at her. As the ball approached, Bree watched and then at the last minute closed her eyes again. The ball bounced in her mitt and fell to the ground.

Patrick ran over and got the ball again. “That was better, Bree,” he said patiently. “But try to keep your eyes open until the ball is in your glove and then squeeze it shut.”

“Okay,” Bree said wishing they were doing something else.

When Patrick tossed the ball this time she did her best to keep her eyes open. She watched the ball land in her mitt, and squeezed her thumb into the mitt. The ball stayed inside. She looked up and smiled at Patrick.

“That was good, Bree. Throw it back,” Patrick called.

Bree glowed under Patrick’s approval. She reached into the glove and picked out the ball. It was really too big for her little hand, but she did her best to fling it towards Patrick. Patrick ran and scooped the ball before it hit the ground. Bree beamed her approval.

“You’re real good, Patrick,” she told him.

“Thanks,” he said. “I’m going to throw one a little harder. Ready?”

Bree blinked but nodded her head. She held the glove out and waited. The ball soared toward her a lot faster than the last one had. She tried to keep her eyes open, but as the ball hit the glove, she closed them. She felt the ball strike the mitt and she tried to squeeze it. She was too late. The ball bounced up and hit her in the chin. She let out a cry before dropping onto her bum. She felt tears well up in her eyes.

“Bree! Bree, are you okay?” Patrick was standing over her.

Bree did her best not to cry. She blinked several times, and then felt a tear run down her cheek.

“Are you hurt?” Patrick asked kneeling beside her. “I’m so sorry.”

“My chin,” Bree gulped choking back the sobs that wanted to escape.

“I’ll help you up,” Patrick said taking her hand. She let Patrick pull her to her feet. “Does it hurt a lot?”

She nodded her head and gingerly touched her chin.

“I’ll go get my dad,” Patrick said.

Bree grabbed his arm. “I’ll be okay,” she said. “You don’t need to get your dad.”

“Are you sure?”

Beau, who had been watching all of this, and had rushed over when Bree fell down, licked Bree’s arm.

“I’m okay, Beau,” Bree said patting the dog’s head.

“Let’s go inside,” Patrick suggested.

“I want to go to the Wendy house,” Bree stated.

“Okay,” Patrick said as he walked beside his cousin and friend to the little house at the back of the yard. He seriously wished he’d gone there with her in the first place. Having a make believe tea party was a lot safer than catch. Bree had never got hurt when they played tea party. “Are you sure you’re all right?” he asked as they went inside and sat down at the little table. Beau laid down at their feet.

“I’m okay, but I don’t like baseball very much,” Bree declared. She had been scared when the ball hit her face, but now she was defiant. “I can catch that ball.”

“You don’t have to,” Patrick said gently. He didn’t want Bree getting hurt again. “I’m sorry I made you.”

“You didn’t make me. I can do it.”

“You can do anything,” Patrick said to the petite blonde.

“I know.”

“Maybe we should get some ice for your chin.”

“Maybe,” Bree said. “I wish my daddies were home.”

“Where did they go?” Patrick asked.

“I think they’re buying me a piano.”

“A piano?” Patrick asked in surprise. “Wow!”

“I’m going to take lessons,” Bree told him.

“Wow!”

“You could take lessons with me,” Bree suggested.

“I … I don’t think I’d be very good at the piano.”

“You won’t know unless you try,” Bree informed him.

“I don’t think so, Bree.”

“I’ll learn to catch the ball if you learn to play the piano with me,” Bree said batting those blonde Taylor lashes at him.

Patrick shook his head. “Okay, I guess I could try it.”

“Thanks,” Bree said with a smile. She wiped her hands across her face getting rid of the rest of her tears. She gently touched her chin. “Maybe I should get the ice pack,” she said.

“Come on, I’ll help you,” Patrick said. “Your daddies should be home soon.”

“’Kay,” Bree said as she stood up and followed Beau and Patrick back to the house.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 5







“Kinney,” Brian barked into his phone.

Brian was spending a lot of time at Kinnetik. He was working non-stop on the Lethal Bike campaign. Phase three of Leda’s campaign had been so successful that Kinnetik was now gearing up to focus on the LGBT community. Leda was also toying with a three wheel all terrain vehicle that she wanted Kinnetik to promote. Bree’s pink baby grand had been delivered and was safely stowed in the back of Justin’s Jeep.

“Brian, it’s Danny.”

“Danny? What’s wrong?”

“It’s your mother. Now, don’t get upset, she was feeling a little faint and short of breath. I didn’t want to take any chances so I called for an ambulance. She’s on her way to Allegheny General.”

“My sister...”

“I already called her and just as a precaution, I called Debbie. As you know, Claire is a little excitable.”

“Excitable, yeah...thanks.”

“Brian, I’m sure it’s nothing.”

“Nothing.”

“Brian?”

“I gotta go. Thanks for letting me know.”

“Brian, call Justin.”

“Yeah, sure, Danny. Good night.”

“Bri...?” Brian had already hung up.

“Schmidt!” Brian yelled into the intercom.

“Yes, Boss,” came the snappy return.

“I’m leaving.”

“Okay, Bri. Anything I can do for you?” Ted asked, hearing the tension in Brian’s voice.

“No,” Brian said as he came up behind Ted, making Teddy jump.

Ted watched as Brian left the building, briefcase in hand.



*****



He had been sitting at the bar contemplating the drink in his hand for at least an hour.

“You going to continue to stare at that or drink it?” the bartender asked.

“A little of both,” came the response.

“You want me to top it off?” the bartender asked. He was holding a bottle of Beam in his hand.

“No, thank you,” Brian said as he held his hand over his glass. “I’m driving.”

“Suit yourself,” the bartender said as he moved off to his next customer.

“Haven’t seen you in here in a while,” the senior most bouncer said to Brian as he sat on the next barstool.

“Haven’t been here in a while,” Brian quipped as he took a small sip of his drink.

“Hear you got married.”

“Not a big secret.”

“Your son’s been in here.” Brian arched a brow. “Not drinking and on his Spring break with his boyfriend. He’s a good kid. Very polite.”

Brian smiled at that remark. “Yeah, imagine that! Brian Kinney finally did something right.”

“Brian Kinney does a lot of things right.” Brian’s eyebrow went up again.

“You think we don’t know? Then you really are an asshole.” The bouncer patted Brian on the back then left him in peace. About an hour later Brian finally finished his two fingers of Beam in his glass then left Woody’s.

As Brian drove up to Allegheny General, he saw his sister leaving with Debbie. Carl had driven up to the front to pick them up. Claire was crying, Debbie was consoling and Carl was just trying to get them into the car before he got a ticket for standing in a no standing zone. Brian drove his Jeep to the adjacent parking lot to park.

“Visiting hours are over, sir,” the unit secretary said as Brian walked up to the counter.

“Can’t we just bend the rules, this one time?” Brian asked with his most innocent and sexiest smile. “I’ve just driven in from Harrisburg,” he stretched the truth, really long. He was on the phone for most of the day with Scott from the Harrisburg branch. That counted, didn’t it?

“Well...”

“Thank you, you’re an angel. I promise; I’ll only be a minute. She’s my mother.” Brian gave the woman the puppy dog eyes and it was all over.

“Just be quiet.”

“As a mouse,” Brian whispered then pretended to tiptoe down the hall to Joan’s room.

“Mom,” Brian whispered next to Joan’s ear as he bent over the head of her bed.

“Brian,” Joan answered with a raspy voice. She was trying to raise her hand off the bed. Brian gently took her hand, mindful of the IV tube that was connected to it.

“Mom?” Brian croaked.

“It’s all right. They call it a mitral valve prolapse. I’m going to have surgery in the morning.”

“Mom, don’t talk.”

“I won’t be able to in a few minutes.” Joan tried to smile.

“You got the good drugs,” Brian singsonged trying to lighten up his mood.

Joan snickered. “Son, I’m sorry.”

“Nothing to be sorry about. Lots of people have mitral valve prolapse. They did a special on it not too long ago on the Health Channel.”

“No, I’m sorry I wasn’t a better mother to you and Claire when you were children.”

“Don’t.”

“I must, I might not get another chance.”

“Mom,” Brian growled in frustration.

“I was wrong to condemn you. I knew you were different when you were a baby. I knew you were going to make something better with your life than what Jack and I had. I was envious of my own child and used your sexual orientation as an excuse to hate you. But I could never hate you and I’m so proud of you. I love...”

“Mom?” Brian said through a closed up throat.

“Sleepy.”

“Then sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow. And I’ll stop by the house.”

“Okay. Love you, Brian.”

“I love you too, Mom.” Brian watched as his mother drifted off into a medicated sleep.

He sat and watched as Joan breathed, attached to the electrodes that were hooked up to the machines that monitored her pulse and blood pressure. He knew he had to leave before someone found him. Brian leaned over and kissed his mother’s forehead.

“Is she asleep?” Tom asked as he quietly stepped into the room. He often made rounds at the hospital to offer pastoral services and was routinely notified when new patients were admitted.

“Yes,” Brian answered. “I should go,” he said as he stood up to leave.

“She’ll be fine. It’s a simple procedure. And her surgeon is one of the best.”

“You know a lot about medicine for a priest.”

“I hang out with a lot of nurses,” Tom smirked. “You know they really run the joint.”

Brian said nothing.

“Let me buy you a cup of coffee.”

“No, I gotta go,” Brian said as he walked out of the room giving his mother one last glance. Father Tom quickly made the sign of the cross over her.

“Justin with you?” Tom said as he attempted to keep up with Brian’s long strides.

“No.”

“You driving back home?” Tom asked as he slipped into the elevator, standing next to Brian.

“Don’t know.”

“Are you sure I can’t buy you a cup of coffee?” Tom asked as he followed Brian out the side entrance to get to the parking lot.

“No, I don’t want a fucking cup of coffee,” Brian snapped back. “Do they teach you how to be annoying at the seminary?”

“Yes they do. It’s the class right after the Rosary and starching your collar 101. Do they teach asshole at Penn?”

“Yes, I ran the class because I’m an expert. What the fuck do you want from me?” Brian screamed as he stood at the door to his Jeep.

“I want to know that you’ll be all right and you won’t do something stupid.”

“By stupid you mean getting my dick sucked by some trick!”

“Yes. Brian, you’ve kept your vows for more than nine years now. Fidelity means something to you.”

“Justin would forgive me.”

“I’m sure he would but that’s not the point.”

“What is the point?”

“The point is that you’re scared. You’re scared that your mother may die.” Brian glared, enraged at Tom. “You’re also angry about all the wasted time.”

The glare went away and was slowly replaced by sadness. “Do you know how many times when I was a kid that I wished that ‘The Warden’ would die?”

“Brian, all kids get angry at their parents and wish for something that they’d regret. It happens to all of us.”

“Even stubborn priests?”

“Yes, I was no different. Brian, call Justin. Don’t do this alone. And for God’s sake, don’t go out trolling for tricks. That won’t help and it’ll only make you feel worse.”

Brian nodded.

“Promise me.”

Brian nodded again.

“No,” Tom said, shaking his head. “Say the words. Your word is your bond. I know if you say them you won’t lie.”

“How can you know that?”

“Because I know you and I have faith. Now promise me.”

“I promise.”

“Promise what?”

“I promise to call Justin.”

“And...”

“No tricking. If I want someone to suck my cock, it’ll be Justin.”

“Good. Now, I’ll be here in the morning. Joan is scheduled for ten. Do you want me to go by her house to check on it?”

“No, I’ll head over now,” Brian said as he opened the Jeep door and got in.

“Brian, it will be all right, she’ll be fine,” Tom reassured Brian.

“From your lips to God’s ears, Padre.”

“Business as usual. Try to get some sleep tonight,” Tom said as Brian started the Jeep then drove away.

Tom took out his cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Justin, it’s Father Tom.”

“Hi!”

Tom explained the situation to Justin. “He’ll kill me if he finds out I called you.”

“No worries, I’ll blame Debbie. Actually she did call me; I was just about to leave Edna’s Treasures. Do you know where he is?” Justin asked as he gave Bree a kiss.

He briefly woke her up to let her know that her Gamma Joan was sick and that Dada was staying in Pittsburgh. John, Bobby and Patrick would be looking after her. Beau, who had sensed the tension, was already keeping vigil at the foot of Bree’s bed. Bree gave her grey bunny to Justin to give to Gamma.

“He said he was going by Joan’s house. I hope he goes to the loft after.”

“You hope?”

“He, he...Justin, I’m afraid he might do something stupid.”

“Stupid, is that another word for tricking?”

“Yeah.”

“Don’t worry. I have faith in him and even if he did trick, he’s already forgiven.”

“You’re a good man, Justin Taylor.”

“If I am, I learned how to be one from him.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Thank you, Father.”

“You’re welcome, and it’s Tom.”



*****



Brian entered Joan’s house and flipped up the light switch on the wall. A couple of floor lamps lit up the room. He looked around the now comfortable and pleasant home. It wasn't that way when he was a kid.

He went into the kitchen. Everything seemed to be in its place. All neat and tidy. Brian opened the refrigerator. Taking the trash can from beneath the sink, he began to remove anything from the refrigerator that would be at risk of spoilage if Joan had a prolonged hospital stay. He’d arrange for a grocery delivery when Joan was discharged home. When he was finished, he tied up the bag, put the can back under the sink then put the trash just outside the door for him to take to the curb. Brian then went upstairs.

His parent’s room, now Joan’s bedroom, was always spartan. Jack hated anything that could possibly be construed as feminine trappings. Now the room with its soft pale yellow walls and flowered throw pillows looked and felt homey. Something that took Joan a long time to achieve. Now that she was at peace with herself, her surroundings reflected it.

Jack’s smoking room, which at one time was the den, was now Joan’s sewing room. Brian smiled at the small quilt that his mother was trying to make. It was obvious that the quilt would eventually go to Bree, if the pink and purple patches were any indication. Brian scrubbed the tears from his eyes.

He set some automatic timers to randomly turn on and off some of the lamps in the house. He set the alarm then locked up the house. Taking the garbage and placing it by the curb, Brian was ready to go.



*****



Brian stood in the middle of the loft. He had yet to call Justin like he promised.

“I’m definitely going to hell for lying to a priest,” he said with a sigh as he looked around. Nothing had changed. Gus and Ray had taken good care of the place on their vacation and the cleaning service kept the dust bunnies away. Brian took his cell phone out of his pocket.

“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“I...I need you.”

“I’m right here,” the reply came as the loft door rolled opened and in walked Justin straight into Brian’s arms.

“Let’s go to bed,” Brian said after a while, but not releasing Justin from his hold.

“Need your dick sucked?”

“Something like that,” Brian said with a snort.

“Then let’s go to bed,” Justin said.

The lovers locked up the loft then went to bed.



*****



“Dada?”

“No, princess, it’s Uncle John,” John said gently. “It’s time to get up,” he said to a sleepy Bree.

“Where’s Daddy?”

“Your Daddy went to be with your Dada in Pittsburgh last night. Do you remember?” Bree nodded tearfully. “Is Gamma okay?”

“I’m not sure, but your Dada called and told me that Doctor Nick is keeping an eye on her. He’s a real good doctor. I’m sure he’ll take very good care of Gamma.”

“Do I hafta go to school?”

“Yes, sweetheart, you do. If I don’t take you, your fathers will get mad at me. You don’t want that, do you?” John made an angry Dada face for Bree. She giggled. Bree was quite familiar with her Dada’s angry face. And her Uncle John looked a lot like her Dada.

“Okay, Unca John, I’ll go to school. I don’t want Dada to be angry at you.”

“Thank you, princess. Would you like help with your hair?” John offered as Bree got out of bed.

“Yes, please, but can I have some cereal first?”

“Of course you can. And I bet Patrick has your favorite cereal.”

“Okay, Unca John,” Bree said as she held out her arms for her uncle. John scooped his petite niece up into his arms. He groaned as he picked her up.

“You’re getting so big,” John said as he strode through the cottage with his niece in his arms. “I have a young lady here who’s hungry!” John announced as he entered his kitchen. “Do we have any cereal?” he said as he pretended to scour the kitchen in search of cereal.

“I think we just might,” Bobby said as he took out several boxes of cereal from the cupboard and placed them on the counter. Bree made her selection then sat next to Patrick at the table.

“Your Gamma Joan will be okay,” Patrick said softly to Bree. Bree nodded her head then leaned against Patrick’s shoulder. The children waited quietly for their breakfast.



*****



A warm wet mouth was wrapped around his dick doing things that were probably outlawed in several states and most likely in a few sovereign nations as well. He groaned, arching his back upward as the very talented tongue traced the entire length of his cock and passed his balls. The tongue teased the tight pucker then gently laved the heavy balls. A loud groan echoed through the loft as the hard thick cock was swallowed to the root. Concentrating on the sensitive head, the exquisite torture continued until hot cum exploded in Brian’s mouth.

“I thought I was supposed to suck your dick,” Justin murmured when his brain was able to formulate a coherent sentence.

“Maybe later,” Brian responded.

“Since when does Brian Kinney turn down a blowjob? First last night and then now? I’m beginning to get a complex.”

Brian rolled over on top of Justin. He gazed into the beautiful blue eyes that he loved so much.

“I love you, you know,” Brian whispered.

“I know.”

“I was a fucking asshole for not telling you that for all those years. It’s important for you to know how much you mean to me and not because you’re the best fuck I’ve ever had. You keep me sane, Justin. You’re the only one who ever loved me just because I’m me and not for what you could get from me.”

“Brian,” Justin murmured as he choked up. He wrapped his arms around Brian holding him close. “I love you, Brian. Always have, always will.” Brian nodded in Justin’s arms. “We have a few more hours yet, why don’t you close your eyes for a while,” Justin suggested.

“Am I too heavy?” Brian asked. He was still lying on top of the smaller man.

“Never. Just close your eyes, I’ve got you,” Justin reassured Brian.

Justin kissed Brian. Brian laid his head on Justin’s shoulder then drifted back to sleep.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 6






“Mr. Emmett, how long can I stay here?” Richie asked as he sat at the breakfast table watching Emmett cook up a storm. Drew was quietly sipping his coffee as he watched his spouse stop in mid pancake flip to answer the question.

“Honey, you can stay here forever, as far as I’m concerned, but I think it’s up to you and the court.”

“Why is it up to me?”

“Well, I guess it all depends on how successful you are.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think what Emmett means is that Karen will recommend approval of us adopting you to the judge, if you show signs of thriving here with us,” Drew began to explain as he picked up the gauntlet. “When you go back to school, the judge will check to see if your grades begin to improve. Dr. Nick will be checking your physical progress as well. We all want you to be happy. Which could mean that we’d have to give you up if you’re not happy here,” Drew said softly but honestly. “Your well-being is very important to us.” But not to your parents, Drew was tempted to add, but didn’t.

Drew still could not believe that Richie’s parents threw him out just because he liked to dress in women’s clothes. Cross dressing wasn’t Drew’s thing but it was harmless, and Emmett occasionally would indulge himself in the activity. It made Emmett happy and Drew very happy when he was the recipient of all Emmett’s ‘happiness’.

Emmett served up breakfast to his little family. “Richie, is your room comfortable? I was going to decorate but Hunter suggested that I wait until you settled in a little more.”

“Thank you, Mr. Emmett,” Richie said politely, wiping his mouth before speaking. “I like my room a lot. But was it your office or something? I don’t want to be trouble.”

“Honey,” Emmett said as he came around to give Richie a hug. “Drew and I shared it as an office and guest room but you’re more important. We’ve already set up the alcove to be our new office.”

“I can’t think of anyone more deserving,” Drew agreed as his large paw gently patted the thin boy on the back. “Babe, I have to get over to the stadium. Do you boys want to go to the game? I’ll alert security,” Drew asked as he looked back and forth from Emmett to Richie.

Emmett wrinkled up his nose as Richie shyly shook his head no.

“I’m not really into football, Mr. Drew.”

“Not a problem. Emmett isn’t either, although after all this time he’s learned a thing or two about the game. Maybe another time.”

Drew got his jacket, kissed Emmett then ruffled Richie’s hair.

“I am very happy you’re here with us, Richie,” Drew said before he left. Richie nodded pensively.

After the breakfast dishes were done and the kitchen set to right, Emmett clapped his hands loudly.

“So what shall we do today? We really should get you registered at school. The faster you return to a regular routine the better you’ll feel.” Richie got a look of panic across his face. “Sweetie! What is it?” Emmett asked as he immediately hugged the boy close.

“I don’t want to go back there. They all hate me!” Richie cried.

“We have another option that Hunter suggested,” Emmett offered trying to keep his voice calm to quell Richie’s hysteria.

“What?” Richie sniffled.

“Several years ago, our local GLC arranged with our Board of Education to start up a Rainbow School. You might fit in better there. Would you like to go check it out?”

“Yes, I think so but, I don’t know what a Rainbow School is.”

“Then let’s find out together, shall we?” Emmett asked with a big smile. Richie nodded returning a small smile. He still wasn’t all that sure about Emmett and Drew but they were kind, and Richie was willing to give it a chance.



*****



“Mr. Kinney?” The surgeon came out of the operating suite into the waiting room looking for the family of Joan Kinney. Brian, Justin, Claire and Debbie were waiting. Father Tom had joined them.

“Yes,” Brian said as he stood up. Justin slipped his hand into Brian’s as Debbie wrapped a comforting arm around Claire.

“She’s fine. Came through like a trooper,” the doctor said. Brian visibly relaxed as he waited for more information. Claire just broke down and cried; Brian rolled his eyes. Tom shot Brian a reproving glare.

“While I was in there, I took a look around her chest. Her heart looks good for a woman of her age and medical history. I anticipate an uncomplicated recovery,” the surgeon said with the usual bravado that most surgeons seemed to have. “If all goes well, you can take her home by Friday,” the doctor said then disappeared back into the surgical suite.

Claire immediately burst into more tears as Brian plopped back into his seat.

“I told you!” Debbie said loudly. “Your Joanie’s too stubborn to have a little thing like a wonky heart valve hold her back. She’ll be back at the bookstore in no time!”

Claire smiled through her tears as Father Tom murmured a prayer. Brian remained quiet as Justin squeezed his hand.

“Now do you want your dick sucked?” Justin whispered into Brian’s ear, placing a chaste kiss to Brian’s cheek.

“Yeah,” Brian whispered back as he closed his eyes then laid his head on Justin’s shoulder.



*****



“Bree!” Ashley shouted as she came out the door of the school and spied her best friend sitting on the big rock in the playground. “I didn’t think you were here today,” Ashley said as she plopped herself down beside her friend. “You weren’t here before school.”

“We were kind of late,” Bree said staring at the ground.

“What’s wrong?” Ashley asked a frown creasing her brow. “Where were you?”

“I didn’t want to come to school,” Bree pouted.

“How come? You love school.”

“Not today.”

“What’s the matter, Bree?” Ashley asked leaning against Bree’s arm. “You can tell me.”

“My Gamma Joan’s sick. She’s in the hospital and my daddies are with her and I was all alone all last night.”

“All alone?” Ashley asked, her eyes getting very big. “Your daddies left you all alone?”

“Yeah, ‘cept for Unca John and Unca Bobby and Patrick … and Beau.”

“That doesn’t sound like being all alone,” Ashley observed. She was used to having just her mother with her. If her mother wasn’t home, she would be all alone. But Bree still had three other people to look after her … and a big dog too.

“But my daddies weren’t there, and I wanted them to come home. I had to do everything myself,” Bree complained.

“Like what? Did you have to make your own breakfast?” Ashley asked. She usually got her own breakfast every day. She liked when Mr. Brian made them his huge breakfasts, or when Mr. Justin made them porridge. She guessed that’s what Bree was missing.

Bree shook her head. “No, Unca John got me cereal.”

“Did you have to pick out your own clothes to wear?” Sometimes Ashley needed her mother’s help to match up what she was wearing.

“No, I can do that by myself, but I like my Dada to tell me I look beautiful.”

“And he wasn’t there to do that.”

“No, and Unca John said I was pretty, but … it’s not the same.”

“Did you have to do your own hair?” Ashley noted that Bree’s ponytails weren’t exactly as perfect as they usually were.

“No,” Bree sighed. “Unca John did my ponytails, but they’re not the way Dada does them.”

“You sure had a hard morning,” Ashley agreed.

They sat in silence for a little while.

“Is your Gamma going to be all right?” Ashley asked.

“I don’t know. I thought my daddies would call, but they didn’t.”

“They were probably busy.”

“Yeah, but I … miss them.”

“I’m sorry,” Ashley said pulling Bree into a hug.

“Thanks,” Bree said. “I wish they’d come and get me.”

“Maybe they’ll be home after school.”

“I hope so,” Bree said as the bell rang signaling the end of recess.



*****



“Mom,” Brian said gently as he sat down on the chair next to Joan’s bed. Claire had already been in to see her mother and had returned to the waiting room weeping profusely about how weak her mother was. Brian looked at his mother as her eyes fluttered open. She looked smaller and older, but she didn’t look weak to him. She looked … alive. Brian took her hand in his and squeezed gently. “Mom,” he repeated.

“Brian,” came the whisper of a reply.

“How are you doing?’

“I’ve been better.”

Brian nodded in acknowledgment. “The doctor says you’re going to be just fine.”

“He did?”

“Yes, he did. You came through the operation with flying colors.”

Joan closed her eyes for a moment and Brian knew she was saying a prayer of thanks.

“Didn’t Claire tell you?” Brian asked.

“She just cried and was in…coherent.”

Brian realized that Joan was very tired, and he should probably let her sleep. “Mom, Bree sent you her grey bunny to help you get better.”

Joan gave him a smile in response. “I love that little girl.”

“I know,” Brian said smiling back at his mother.

“Tell her that for me.”

“I will. She loves you too.”

“And Brian … I love you.”

“I … love you as well, Mom. Get some rest and get better … fast.”

Joan nodded, but clasped Brian’s hand more tightly as he started to stand up. “Will you come back tomorrow?”

“Just try to keep me away.”

“Thank you, son.”

Brian leaned over and kissed Joan’s temple. “There’s nothing to thank me for. Just feel better.”

“I’ll do my best,” Joan said as her eyes closed and she drifted off.

Brian walked out into the waiting room.

“How is she?” Justin asked.

“Tired, but she seems in good spirits. She was glad to hear about the grey bunny.”

Justin smiled at his husband and slipped his hand into Brian’s. “Can we go now?”

Brian nodded. “You have a date with a dick.”

“Yes, I certainly do,” Justin said with a big smile, as he and Brian walked out of the hospital.



*****



“She looks scary,” Richie whispered to Emmett.

“She’s a lesbian, they’re all scary to me,” Emmett whispered back with a wink and a grin. “Tannis runs the GLC, although I must point out that the center is very diverse. We have PFLAG meetings, several bisexual groups and a transgender group. We even have classes for budding drag queens.”

Richie gave Emmett an incredulous look.

“I kid you not! Believe me, knowing if you’re a summer or a winter comes in very handy during Pride week. But I digress. As I said Tannis, with her friend Roy, runs the center. She doesn’t run the Rainbow School, but Tannis likes to meet potential new students and new members of the center.”

“Emmett, how are you? And who do we have here?” Tannis said in that very efficient way of hers.

“Ms. Tannis, allow me to introduce Richie Cross, our new foster son!” Emmett gushed.

Tannis smiled brightly. “Congratulations! I’m very happy for you. How can we help you?”

“Well, Richie has had some difficulties but he’s ready to get back to school. We thought perhaps he would do well here at the Rainbow School. Unfortunately, he’s missed a lot of school this year.”

“Not to worry, our guidance counselor can assess Richie’s abilities and if necessary plan summer courses so he can catch up. But I’ll let the counselor and the headmaster of the school explain the program. Come this way,” Tannis said with authority as she led Emmett and Richie to the headmaster.

While Richie was speaking with the headmaster and counselor, Emmett waited in Tannis’ office.

“Will you be catering our events for Pride Week? I know it’s over a month away but I’d like to get a firm commitment from you,” Tannis asked.

“You have it,” Emmett gushed. “I look forward to it every year and this year...well, I just hope Richie likes living with us. He’ll make this Pride so much more meaningful. Am I making sense?”

“Emmett, some people are born to be a parent and you’re one of them.” Emmett beamed. “I’ll keep anything you tell me about Richie as confidential, Emmett, you know that. We work with Hunter and Karen all the time.”

“I know and I appreciate it. Well, it’s a simple but tragic story. The boy was caught cross dressing by his parents and they threw him out. His school wasn’t very supportive so he’s fearful to return there.”

“So you brought him to the Rainbow School.”

“Yes, I’m hoping he’ll feel more at ease with students who are diverse or have alternate families. He shouldn’t be persecuted for wearing a little lipstick and a camisole.”

“Emmett, not everyone is as accepting as you are, but I hope we can make Richie feel welcome. Has he met your family yet?”

“Not really. He’s met Debbie and Brian and Justin but that’s it so far. Drew thinks we should go slow; let him get adjusted to us before we spring the whole family on the poor boy.”

“Very sound advice. Shall we go over the tentative menu for the main Pride celebration?”

“Let’s.”

While Richie was going over his syllabus, Emmett and Tannis discussed Pride.



*****



“Uh-unh!” Brian came with a mighty grunt as Justin sucked him off, nearly choking on the copious amount of cum that spewed out of Brian’s dick. Justin swallowed as fast as he could before collapsing down next to his spouse.

“Better?” Justin asked when his jaw was able to formulate the word.

“Yeah,” Brian murmured as he buried his hand into Justin’s thick blond locks. Brian gently massaged Justin’s scalp, relishing in the feel of Justin’s soft hair against his skin. “Come here,” Brian whispered. Justin crawled up and into Brian’s waiting arms.

“Thank you,” Brian said against Justin’s lips as he brought the younger man close so he could be kissed. “I love you. You always know what I need.”

Justin gazed into the hazel eyes that he adored; his own were moist with unshed tears of love and joy. “I love you, Brian, I’ll always be here for you.”

“I know.” Brian pulled the younger man down so that Justin’s head was resting against Brian’s chest. “We should call home.”

“Later. I checked in while you were with Joan. Bree’s okay and the guys send their love. Why don’t you sleep for a while then we can call.”

“Okay,” Brian agreed as his eyes closed. He was exhausted from worry. Safe and secure in Justin’s arms, Brian went to sleep.



*****



“Mr. Emmett, the headmaster invited me to start classes tomorrow. He said he’d get my records from my old school and the counselor will speak to Miss Karen and Mr. Hunter,” Richie said as they left the GLC. They were walking toward Emmett’s bistro so that Emmett could check in with Sean and introduce Richie.

“Would you like to go to school there?”

“Yes, I liked school before, before I...”

“Before your hobby was made public?” Richie blushed with embarrassment as he nodded. “Richie, never be ashamed to express yourself,” Emmett said gently.

When they reached the bistro, Emmett had Richie sit in his special booth. Sean, Emmett’s other employees and several patrons all greeted Emmett warmly. Emmett brought over a tray with popovers and a pot of cocoa.

“Isn’t it too warm for cocoa?” Richie asked.

“Honey, it’s never too warm for cocoa. Chocolate can cure just about anything,” Emmett said as he poured two cups of the creamy hot treat.

Richie took a sip and couldn’t help but moan with appreciation.

“See? Cocoa is good at anytime.”

They sat quietly for a while sipping their cocoa and nibbling the soft warm popovers.

“Mr. Emmett? Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, but first can we drop the mister? You may call me Emmett or Auntie Emm.”

“Auntie Emm?” Richie asked as his voice rose an octave along with his eyebrows.

“Richie,” Emmett began in a low more masculine sounding voice. “I know what people usually think when they see me and it’s taken me a lot of years to be proud of what I am and of what I’ve accomplished. The children in our family as well as some of the snarky adults began to call me Auntie Emm a long time ago. The nickname sort of stuck and I’m quite proud of it too. I consider myself our family’s own fairy godmother. So I would be honored if you called me that too but only if you feel comfortable enough.”

Richie smiled.

“Now what did you want to ask?”

“Are you gay?”

“Yes, I am, sweetie. Out and proud, with flames burning bright.”

“And Mr. Drew is your...?”

“Life partner. We had a commitment ceremony during a cruise two years ago. My Drewsie is the greatest love of my life.”

“And he doesn’t mind that you like to wear different stuff?”

“Honey, my Drewsie is the sweetest thing. He puts up with my little idiosyncracies. But to tell you the truth, my dress up days are more or less over.”

“Why? Did people make fun of you?”

“Maybe, but that’s not the reason. I spend most of my time here in the kitchen or at my restaurant or I’m interviewing potential clients. I don’t really have the time to indulge in my little fantasies so I channel a lot of that creativity into my business. And I love to recreate my clients’ fantasies for their events. Then sometimes in our private moments I may indulge myself in my own fantasies, for my Drewsie, of course.” Emmett smiled his bright toothy grin, making Richie giggle.

“See, you do understand. We girls all have our own little fantasies. You just have to learn when it’s appropriate to give in to them. Now let’s make a pact,” Emmett proposed as he reached across the table to take Richie’s hands in his. “If you feel the need to play dress up, then you just let us know. If you want some privacy then so be it. If you feel comfortable doing it in front of me and Drew then be my guest. But never, ever feel ashamed. Can you do that?”

Richie nodded.

“Good. More cocoa?” Emm asked as he raised the pot to pour. Richie smiled as Emmett began to pour.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 7






“Brian, wake up.”

“Hm, yeah, what time is it?”

“It’s almost dinnertime.”

“Shit! How long have we been asleep?”

“Longer than we intended. I think we were both exhausted with worry and stress, waiting for news about your mother’s condition.”

“And fucking Claire moaning and spurting tears all over the fucking hospital.”

Justin stifled a chuckle. “She gives the term drama queen a whole new meaning.”

Brian shoved himself up in the bed. He leaned his head back against the pillow and stared at the ceiling. After a while he said softly. “She’s going to be all right, isn’t she?”

“You heard the doctor,” Justin said emphatically. “Joan’s going to be just fine.”

“I …” Brian clamped his mouth shut cutting off the words that wanted to spill out.

“Tell me, Brian.” Justin snuggled against his husband and twined his fingers with Brian’s. He looked into the troubled hazel eyes.

“I guess … this … this made me realize…”

“Realize what?” Justin asked, pressing Brian to let it all out. He knew something was really troubling Brian, and it wasn’t Claire’s barrage of tears.

“That my mother could die,” Brian whispered.

“We all die … eventually.”

“Yes, but Joan is … old. This could have been the end.”

“It could have been, but it isn’t. She has many more years ahead of her.”

“I hope so,” Brian said with a sigh. “I never thought I’d admit this but I like having her around.”

Justin smiled before he leaned in and gently kissed Brian’s lips. “I know you do. I kind of like having her around too.”

“Did you ever think we’d actually be saying that?” Brian asked.

“Joan has changed a lot over the years.”

“And I have too.”

“It’s wonderful that you two have found a happy place where the old differences and problems are no longer an issue.”

“I … can’t imagine my life without her now.”

“Bree would be devastated if anything happened to her Gamma Joan,” Justin observed.

“Fuck! Bree! We should have called her ages ago. She’s been home from school for hours. She’s going to be pissed.”

Justin laughed. “Brian, she’s a child. She’ll get over it.”

“Yeah, but she can make me feel guilty like no other human being on the face of the earth.”

“Then I guess we better call her.”

“Do I have to?” Brian asked with a pout on his face.

“You are so pathetic when you try that,” Justin laughed.

“You could call her,” Brian said hopefully.

“Oh, all right,” Justin agreed. “I’ll make the doomsday call.”

Brian tried not to smirk as Justin picked up his cell phone and hit the button for Edna’s Treasures.

“Hello?” Bobby’s voice came over the line.

“Hey, Bobby, it’s Justin.”

“About fucking time.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“We have a very unhappy princess who was most upset that you didn’t call when she got home from school.”

“Shit! Put her on.”

Brian looked at Justin and shrugged. He had got the gist of the conversation from Justin’s words and the look of panic on his face. “Is she coming on the line?” Brian asked.

Justin nodded and waited.

“She won’t take the phone,” Bobby’s voice came back to him.

“Fuck!” Justin reacted. “She won’t talk to me,” Justin whispered to Brian.

“Give me the phone,” Brian said decisively.

“But…”

“Give it to me,” Brian ordered. Justin handed it to him. “Bobby?”

“Yeah, Brian. What should I do?”

“Hold the phone near her ear.”

“Okaaay.”

“Squirt, it’s Dada. Listen carefully. Are you listening?” Brian heard nothing in response, but there was no sound of his daughter crying or throwing a tantrum. He continued, hoping that Bobby was keeping the phone close to Bree’s ear. “If you don’t want to talk to me, that’s fine, but I want you to know that Grandma came through her operation fine. She’s doing good and loves you very much. I was supposed to tell you that.”

“Is she really okay?” Bree’s little voice asked over the phone.

“She’s tired and sore, but she’s fine. She should be released from the hospital on Friday.”

“Friday?” Bree asked. “Do I have to wait till then to see her?”

“Yes, I’m afraid so.”

“Dada, can you tell her I love her too?”

“Of course I will.”

“I miss you and Daddy,” Bree said with a little sniffle.

“We miss you too, and we’re coming home later tonight.”

“You are?” Bree asked hopefully.

“Yes, Squirt. I promise.”

“Okay, Dada.”

“We’ll see you soon.”

“Will you do my hair for school tomorrow?” Bree asked.

“You know I will.”

“Love you, Dada.”

“I love you too, Squirt.”

“Can I talk to Daddy?” Bree asked.

“He’s right here.”

“Daddy?” Bree’s voice asked as Brian handed the phone to Justin.

“Hi, sweetheart.”

“Daddy, I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you before.”

“You were upset.” There was a long pause, and Justin could imagine his daughter bobbing her head in agreement. “But we’re fine now?”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“We’ll be home soon.”

“Good,” Bree said definitively. “Did Gamma like my grey bunny?”

“Um … we couldn’t give her your bunny in the surgical ward. But Dada told her all about it, and Gamma was really happy that you sent the bunny.”

“Oh,” Bree said somewhat sadly. “I wanted her to have it.”

“We’ll give it to her as soon as they’ll let us. Grandma appreciated that you were so thoughtful to send it for her.”

“’Kay, Daddy.”

“Okay, sweetheart. I should go now.”

“Daddy, will you make me porridge for breakfast tomorrow?”

“I certainly will.”

“Good,” Bree replied, and Justin could almost hear the smile in her voice.

“Put Uncle Bobby back on for a minute,” Justin requested. He waited while the phone was transferred.

“Hello, Justin.”

“Bobby, is she okay now? Tell me the truth.”

“She’s fine … much better than before you called.”

“That’s good.”

“There’s nothing harder to deal with than an angry Bree.”

“Except maybe an angry Brian,” Justin noted.

“Yeah, well, that goes without saying.”

“Thanks, Bobby, we’ll be home soon.” Justin cut the connection.

“An angry Brian?” Brian asked with a decidedly raised brow.

“Um, you know.”

“I don’t do angry anymore.”

Justin cleared his throat before he said anything that might start a fight.



*****



“Unca John, can me and Patrick play outside for a while?” Bree asked. They had just finished dinner and their homework was all done. It was still light out and the evening was warm.

“Stay right out back and take Beau with you,” John instructed the kids as he stood by the kitchen sink washing out a skillet.

“Okay!” the kids called back as they ran to the door.

“And no running in the....house,” John admonished to no one as the door slammed behind the children.

“Forget it, Babe. They won’t stop running until they’re our age,” Bobby teased while he wiped up the kitchen table. John smirked as they finished clearing up after dinner.



*****



“So is your grandma better?” Patrick asked as he tossed the softball to Bree. She was catching two out of three throws but still had a tendency to close her eyes as the ball got closer. Bree was much more comfortable playing soccer, but this was the only way she could still play with her Patrick.

“Yeah. Dada said she might get out of the hosp’l soon,” Bree said as she dropped the ball. She stamped one little foot in frustration as she picked up the ball then tossed it back.

“That’s good,” Patrick said as he easily caught the ball then threw it back. Bree dropped the ball again.

“I don’t like this ball!” Bree yelled as she picked it up then threw it back at Patrick as hard as she could. Caught off guard by Bree’s anger-fueled strength, the ball hit Patrick’s leg.

“Ow! Watch it, Bree, that hurt. What if I hit you?” Patrick yelled back as he threw the ball at her but angling the ball down. The ball went wild, bouncing off the ground and hitting Bree in the chin, hard, knocking her onto her bum.

“Bree!” Patrick shouted as he realized what happened. “Dad! Poppa!” Patrick screamed for his dads as he ran to Bree’s side.

Briana sat on the grass momentarily stunned, her chin began to throb then she let out a blood curdling wail.

“Bree, I’m sorry,” Patrick cried as his fathers ran over. Patrick began talking fast as he tried to explain what happened.

“I want my daddies!” Bree cried, tears streaming down her face. John scooped the petite child into his arms as Beau ran circles around them, whining with his concern.

“Your daddies are on the way, princess,” John said calmly to reassure his niece. Bobby scowled, taking Patrick inside to get a clearer explanation of what happened. Bobby wasn’t looking forward to the wrath of Brian and Justin who just happened to be driving up the lane toward Edna’s Treasures.

“What the fuck is going on around here?” Brian growled as they ran into the sun porch hearing Bree’s cries.

“Dada!” Bree cried from John’s arms, reaching out for her older father. As John started to transfer the crying child to Brian, Bree opened her mouth to again call out for her Dada, and out popped a bloody tooth. Bree looked down at the tooth on the floor, looked up into her Dada’s eyes then began crying louder.

“Will somebody tell me what the fuck just happened?” Brian snarled as he hugged his hysterical daughter to his chest. Patrick bravely stepped up to face the music and his uncle.

“We were playing catch,” Patrick began, sniffling as he bent down to rub his leg. Brian arched a brow.

“And then?” Swaying gently, Brian felt Bree start to relax against him. Her sobs were calming.

“She got upset because of her grandma and cause she doesn’t like playing catch. She got mad at me then she sort of threw the ball at me and I kinda threw it back,” Patrick mumbled the last few words as he looked down at the floor.

Brian narrowed his eyes; John and Bobby moved closer to their son’s side. “What happened to your leg?” Brian asked softly.

“When Bree threw the ball it hit my leg.”

“And Bree’s face?” It was obvious from the bruise that was beginning to form on Bree’s chin that she had been hit.

“When I threw the ball back it bounced and knocked her on her chin. I’m sorry, Uncle Bri,” Patrick said with remorse. “Bree, I’m sorry.”

Bree sniffled a few times then looked down at her cousin.

“What do you say?” Brian whispered into his daughter’s tiny ear. “It was an accident that you got hit. Did you mean to hit Patrick?”

“No, Dada,” Bree murmured as she shook her head. “I love my Patrick.” A few more tears slipped down her face.

“Then I think you should kiss and make up and then we’ll clean you up. Okay?”

Bree nodded. “Sorwy, Patwick. I love you,” Bree said from the confines of her Dada’s arms.

“I’m sorry. I love you too, Bree,” Patrick replied as he reached up to touch Bree’s hand.

“Let me see your leg, son,” Bobby said. Patrick rolled up his pant leg to reveal the bruise that was forming on his shin. There was a minor scrape also.

“I think we need ice packs for his shin and her chin,” John declared. “Patrick, let’s go clean up your leg.”

“We’ll make the ice packs,” Justin said to Bobby.

“I’ll take the Squirt to her room,” Brian announced. “And I think the tooth fairy will be making a visit tonight,” Brian said as he picked up the tiny fallen tooth.

“You’re not mad cause I broke my tooth, Dada?” Bree asked as more tears formed in her eyes.

“No, Baby. That tooth was ready to come out. That little bop on the chin just sped up the process. You’ll be losing several more teeth this year,” Brian reassured his daughter.

“Oh,” Bree said. She rested her head against Brian’s shoulder as he carried her into her bedroom.

In Bree’s room he gently washed away her tears and the tiny spots of blood on her lip. Then he helped her change into her pj’s. Justin found them sitting in the rocking chair with Bree on Brian’s lap. Brian was slowly rocking back and forth. Bree’s eyes were drooping.

“Is she asleep?” Justin asked as he handed Brian the ice pack.

“Not yet but she’s exhausted,” Brian replied as he placed the wrapped up ice pack on Bree’s mouth and chin.

“She’s just as worried about Joan as you are, Bri. And Bobby said she was really missing us. I don’t remember when the both of us were away from her for more than a day other than our trip to Florida,” Justin said reflectively. “She missed us,” Justin said as he gently brushed the strawberry blond bangs away from Bree’s eyes.

“Why don’t you turn down her bed,” Brian suggested.

“Do we send her to school tomorrow?” Justin asked turning down the blanket then fluffing Bree’s pillow.

“Yes. I want to get our life back to as normal as possible,” Brian said as he stood with Bree. Just then they heard a gentle knock on the door. Justin went to open it.

“Is Bree okay?” Patrick asked, his eyes moist with unshed tears. He was also in his pajamas with his own ice pack wrapped onto his shin.

“She’s fine,” Justin assured the boy as he ruffled the fine red hair.

“I brought this,” Patrick said handing a small pouch to Justin. “For Bree’s tooth,” he explained. “My Grandma Claire got it for me when I started losing my teeth,” Patrick said with a tentative smile.

“Thank you, Patrick. That’s so thoughtful of you,” Justin said as he retrieved Bree’s tooth from the bathroom where Brian had left it and put it in the small pouch. Then he placed the pouch under Bree’s pillow.

“Patwick, can you stay with me?” Bree asked sleepily as Brian got her settled in her bed.

“Do you want me to stay?” Patrick wasn’t sure if he was forgiven, by Bree or her dads.

“Yes,” Bree said nodding her head.

“Is it okay?” Patrick asked, looking at Brian and Justin. Justin smiled as he nodded at his nephew. Patrick searched Brian’s face which was so like his own father’s.

“Come here,” Brian said softly as he drew the young man to him for a hug. “I trust you with my daughter. I know you love her.” Brian kissed the top of the red mop of hair. “Go on, get under the covers,” Brian said as he tucked Patrick in then kissed both kids. “Good night.”

“Go to sleep. The tooth fairy won’t come if you’re awake,” Justin said as he too kissed the children. He turned on a small night light just in case either child woke up disoriented during the night. “Good night.”

“Night, Daddy.”

Bree snuggled close to Patrick as her daddies left the room.

“You mad at me?” Patrick asked after a while.

“No. You mad at me?”

“No.”

“Good,” Bree said as she raised her head up to give Patrick a small smile and a kiss on his cheek. Patrick smiled then giggled at the small gap left by her missing tooth.

“Let’s go to sleep or the tooth fairy won’t come,” Patrick wisely said.

“Okay,” Bree said, snuggling up against him, then quickly falling asleep.

Patrick sighed as he soon followed Bree into sleep.



*****



“Think they're all right?” Justin asked Brian. Justin drew a soapy sponge across Brian's shoulders as they showered together.

“Yeah, I think so,” Brian answered as Justin's ministrations helped to ease away his tensions.

“We have to remember Bree's tooth,” Justin murmured as he kissed a trail down Brian's back. Brian spread his legs. Taking that as an invitation, Justin went down on his knees to rim his lover.

“Mmm. Oh yeah,” Brian moaned as Justin did sinful things with his tongue. Justin turned Brian around to suck his cock.

“What about you?” Brian asked as he leaned his forehead against Justin's while he recovered from his orgasm.

“Later, after we play tooth fairy,” Justin said as he kissed Brian. The lovers got out of the shower to do just that.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 8







Justin opened the door to Bree’s bedroom. He gazed in on the two children sleeping in her big bed. Their faces were so sweet, so at peace. Justin glanced at the bruise on Bree’s chin. It had turned deep purple in the couple of hours since the ball had hit her.

Patrick lay beside her, his face turned in her direction. His hand rested against Bree’s arm, maintaining their contact even in sleep.

Their slow, even breathing told Justin that they were both sound asleep. He turned and motioned for Brian to come into the room. He placed a finger against his lips to indicate that Brian should be quiet. Brian glared at him to state emphatically that he knew he should be as quiet as possible, and that he didn’t need to be reminded of any such thing.

“How are we going to get the pouch out from under the pillow?” Brian whispered.

Justin smiled and reached in between the children. He had carefully placed the Tooth Fairy pouch just under the edge of Bree’s pillow in the space between the two pillows on the bed. He pulled the pouch out and emptied the contents into the palm of his hand.

Brian took the pouch and slipped the coin he had in his hand into the pouch. He pulled the drawstring and handed it back to Justin. Justin slipped it back in between the pillows, just slightly under Bree’s pillow. The two men silently left the room, closing the door gently behind them.

“I can’t believe they slept through that,” Brian said as they walked down the hall.

“Children sleep through anything,” Justin advised him.

“When they’re innocent and pure,” Brian conceded.

“Meaning?” Justin asked with a frown.

“You could never have done that with me when I was a kid … not that anybody ever tried.”

Justin shook his head. He hated when Brian said stuff like that, reminding them both of the way that Brian had been brought up. Brian had never slept peacefully and innocently like Bree and Patrick were doing. He had probably been half awake all the time, waiting for Jack to come barging into his room to beat the crap out of him.

“I promise when you lose your next tooth, I’ll make sure the Tooth Fairy visits you.”

Brian snorted. “I can hardly wait till my teeth fall out and I get a fucking quarter or fifty cents for each of them. I should make … what? Sixteen dollars?”

Justin laughed as they dropped down on the sofa in their living room. “I think this Fairy can afford sixteen dollars.” He elbowed Brian in the ribs for added effect.

“You think you’ll still be here when my teeth fall out?” Brian asked.

Justin grinned and nodded. “Just try to get rid of me.”

“Seems to me I tried that a long time ago, and it was nigh unto impossible.”

“Still is,” Justin said continuing to grin.

“You think I’ll be worth sixteen dollars when I’m old and decrepit?”

“Every penny of it,” Justin laughed.

Brian grabbed Justin’s face and kissed him hard. “And I’ll still fuck you like there’s no tomorrow.”

“You better.”

“That’s a deal … especially if I get the sixteen dollars. It’ll be like a pension.”

Justin laughed louder. “You are so full of shit. I love you, my big Smoosh.”

“Capital ‘S’?”

“You bet.”

Smiling, Brian pulled Justin against him and leaned back on the sofa.

Justin opened his hand, as he snuggled into the familiar body. “What are we going to do with this?” he asked staring at Bree’s fallen tooth resting in the palm of his hand.

“We could have it bronzed … or gold plated. Maybe I could have it implanted when my own teeth start to fall out.”

“Will you stop that,” Justin laughed giving Brian’s arm a good swat where it held him in place.

“You can never have too many teeth, you know.”

“You are such a dork.”

“One of my finer qualities.”

“Seriously, what should we do with it? I hate to just … throw it away.”

“It’s just a tooth. Bree will get one to replace it.”

“But it’s kind of a milestone.” Justin looked at the tooth wondering what would be appropriate.

“What did John and Bobby do with Patrick’s teeth when they fell out?”

“Oh,” Justin said suddenly. “I think they got a Baby Tooth Album now that I think about it.”

“What the fuck is a Baby Tooth Album?”

“It’s like a memory book with a holder for each of the teeth that falls out. You can take pictures showing what the child looks like as their teeth come out and there’s a container that holds each tooth.”

“I’m sure that’s just what Bree will want, pictures of her - toothless. She can show her friends at her sweet sixteen party.”

“I think we should do something with the tooth. I’m going to look online for one of those albums.” Justin started to get up.

“You don’t have to do it right now, do you?” Brian asked, holding his husband firmly in place against him.

“Well, maybe not right now,” Justin admitted as Brian had started kissing down his neck. Brian’s hands were roaming freely. Justin gasped as Brian’s hand found its treasure in his crotch.

“There are more important things than teeth,” Brian whispered against Justin’s ear, making sure that Justin felt his hot breath.

“Are you sure?” Justin asked breathily.

“I’m about to prove it.”

“Let me put this safely on the table first,” Justin said reaching around Brian and setting the valuable tooth on the end table. “Okay, prove it,” he said. “I’m ready.”

That was all the invitation Brian needed. He proceeded to prove what he had said beyond a shadow of a doubt.



*****



“Daddy, Dada, look at what I got.” Bree came running into the kitchen with Patrick close behind her.

“What did you get, sweetheart?” Justin asked trying to keep from grinning too broadly. Bree seemed to have recovered from her scare of yesterday.

“Look,” she said holding out her hand.

“Wow!” Justin reacted. “That’s a big shiny coin.”

“Is it a million dollars?” Bree asked.

“No, sweetheart, it’s a silver dollar – a shiny new silver dollar.”

“Oh,” Bree said with a frown. “I never saw one of these before. I thought it was a million dollars.”

“I don’t think the Tooth Fairy leaves millions,” Justin said, doing his best to keep a straight face. “But that is a very nice coin.”

“Yes, it’s beautiful,” Bree said. “Isn’t it, Patrick?”

“Yep,” Patrick agreed.

“How does your face feel this morning?” Justin asked.

Bree rubbed her jaw gingerly. “It’s okay. It’s purple though,” Bree added. “Patrick told me.”

“It’s a bruise. It’ll go away in a few days,” Patrick advised.

“How’s your leg, Patrick,” Justin asked.

“Purple like Bree’s chin.”

“You two make a good pair.”

Two heads bobbed in agreement.

“I’m making you porridge,” Justin said.

“Good,” Bree replied. “I didn’t know if Cheerios would get stuck in the hole.” She opened her mouth and stuck her finger in the spot where her tooth had fallen out. “See.”

“We can’t have Cheerios getting stuck in there,” Brian said as he came into the kitchen. “Porridge for m’lady from now on.”

“Yay!” Bree crowed in agreement.

“Can I have Cheerios tomorrow?” Patrick asked.

“One day of gruel enough for you, my boy?” Brian asked with a chuckle.

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed.

“What’s gruel?” Bree wanted to know.

“Same thing as porridge only more watery.”

“Yuck,” Bree replied. “I don’t want gruel. I want porridge just like Hudson makes.”

“Coming right up,” Justin said as he started to dish up the porridge he had been stirring on the stove.

They all sat down to breakfast with the upsets of the previous days starting to fade into history already.



*****



“Mr. Taylor?” an official sounding voice asked when Justin picked up the phone.

“Yes.”

“This is Stephanie Saunders, the school nurse. I’m calling about the bruise on Briana's chin. What can you tell me about it?”

“Bree and her cousin were playing catch last night and Bree caught the ball with her chin instead of her hands. Is there a problem?” Justin asked with concern. For some reason he felt very defensive when it came to questions about his daughter.

“No, no problem. I asked Briana about the bruise and she told me the same story.”

“It’s not a story, it’s the truth. Kids sometimes get hurt when they play. She gets a lot of bruises when she plays soccer.”

“I know but this one was different so I had to ask. I noticed that Patrick was favoring one leg as well. He told me that the ball hit his leg.”

“Yes, they both had ice packs last night. Ms. Saunders, are you accusing me of anything?” Justin asked straight out.

“Not at all but it is my job to follow up in these cases.”

“These cases?”

“Children coming to school with bruises, it is my job to check out each case. Mr. Taylor, you and your partner as well as Patrick’s parents are active members of our school board and are active in parenting.”

“Active in parenting?”

“What I mean is that you take an active role in Briana’s life. You don’t let the school assume the role of parent. And as far as I know, neither child has been raised by a nanny. That’s what I mean by active parenting. We need more parents out there like you. But as I said, it is my job to follow up when a child comes to school sporting a new bump or bruise. I just got off the phone with Mr. Anderson.”

“Oh, I wasn’t aware of that. We didn’t get any calls during soccer season.”

“That’s because I was there at the games and made note of each bump that the team sustained.”

“Thank you for that. And thank you for being so diligent. I’m sorry if I got a little short with you. Sometimes we still run across people who don’t think that two men can raise a child, let alone a daughter.”

“I understand your position, Mr. Taylor, and I wasn’t offended.”

“Thank you for calling.”

“Have a good day.”

“You too,” Justin said as he hung up the phone.

Brian walked into the kitchen seeking another cup of coffee. He had been up in his office on several conference calls. That done, he was about to go out to do some yard work. He noticed the pensive look on Justin’s face.

“What’s the matter, Sunshine? Who was that on the phone?”

“The school nurse. She was asking about the bruise on Bree’s chin.”

“Isn’t she supposed to do that?”

“Yeah, I guess, but I never realized how that would make me feel.” Brian put down his coffee mug then took Justin in his arms.

“And how does it make you feel?” Brian whispered into the golden mop of hair.

“I thought she was accusing us of abuse or something, but she explained that she follows up on these things. She just spoke with John.”

“Sunshine, it’s her job to protect our kids. But I know how you feel. If I had gotten that call I probably would have bitten her head off.”

“I thought you didn’t do angry anymore,” Justin chuckled.

“I try not to but sometimes when it comes to our children I can’t help myself,” Brian whispered as they hugged each other, giving each other strength. “You want to come outside with me? I could use your help getting that pink monstrosity out of the Jeep.”

“I nearly forgot about the piano.”

“I bet the Squirt didn’t,” Brian snarked. “While we’re out there we can clean up the Wendy house and see if it fits in there.”

Justin laughed. “Nice try, big guy, the piano comes in here.” Justin laughed at Brian’s sigh. “Give her a chance and then when she’s pounding the ivories loud enough to be heard in the Pitts, we’ll put the piano in the Wendy house.”

“Deal!” Brian said as they walked out to the Jeep. “You know my mother gets discharged in a few days. What would you think if I asked her to stay with us for a while? Just until she gets some of her strength back.”

“What about your sister? Don’t you think your mother would feel more comfortable with her?” Brian stopped to arch a brow at his mate. “Okay, dumb question. Claire does get a little too emotional sometimes. It would be quieter here. But where would she sleep? I don’t think climbing the spiral staircase would be wise.”

“We could put her in our room,” Brian suggested.

“Or she can take Bree’s room. It does have its own bathroom and the bed is lower. Bree can sleep in Gus’ room or maybe share with Patrick if he wouldn’t mind.”

“I like that option. I’ll suggest it to her tomorrow. It’s been getting warmer out; maybe she’d like to rest on one of the chaises outside.”

“At the very least, she can rest in the sun porch. I can paint with my headphones on.”

“And the budding virtuoso won’t be practicing until after school. We can put the piano in the Wendy house during the weekend.”

“So then it’s settled,” Justin declared as they set up the small pink instrument in the sun porch. “We’ll discuss it with the family tonight.”

They stood back to admire Bree’s new pink piano which now adorned the sun porch. Their once spacious sun porch was beginning to get crowded.


 




“Sunshine, I think we need a bigger porch,” Brian said as he looked around. Justin didn’t say anything; he just nodded.



*****



Brian pulled into the parking lot at the hospital. He turned off the engine of the Corvette and just sat there for a minute. He had spent the rest of the morning gardening, getting everything ready for the new growth that was already pushing itself into the world. Gardening relaxed him, and he had felt the need to be calm and grounded, literally, before going to visit his mother.

Taking a breath to steady himself, Brian pushed himself up out of the Corvette. He reached back into the car for the bag that contained the gift for his mother. As he walked towards the main entrance to the hospital, he ran things over in his head. He was pretty sure Claire would have visited his mother in the morning. He was hoping she had gone home for a rest and some lunch. That’s why he had arrived just at the end of the traditional lunch hour. A visit with his mother without Claire’s hysteria was more appealing than the alternative.

He stopped at the front desk to see if his mother had been moved out of the surgical ward. She had been, and he noted the new room number. That was surely a good sign in terms of Joan’s recovery. He headed to the elevators.

When he entered Joan’s room, he was surprised to see her sitting up in a chair.

“Mom?” he said.

She turned her head and smiled at him. She looked so much better than she had right after the operation.

“Brian, I didn’t think you were going to come,” she said.

Brian noted that her tone was not accusatory, as it surely would have been in the past, just somewhat disappointed. “I promised I’d be here, and here I am,” he said.

“You always did keep your promises,” Joan observed as Brian sat on the edge of her bed to talk to her.

“I made as few of those as I could manage.”

“Yes, I remember that too. But your word was your bond.”

“Still is. How are you feeling today? You look a hundred percent better.”

“I must have looked pretty awful then,” Joan said with a weak laugh.

“You looked pretty good to me, and when you spoke … it was a big relief.”

“I feel so much stronger today. This room is cheerier. I feel like I might be strong enough to go home soon.”

Brian smiled at her. “I brought the grey bunny, just in case you could have it today.” He handed her the bag he had brought the bunny in.

Joan pulled the bunny out of the bag and held it in her lap. She ran her hand over the soft plush fur again and again. “Be sure to thank Bree for me.”

“I told her you were very pleased that she had sent her bunny to you, even if you couldn’t have it yesterday.”

“Is she okay?”

“She was worried about you,” Brian replied. “And yesterday she got hit in the chin with the baseball Patrick was tossing to her. She lost a tooth.”

“Oh my! Maybe you should take the grey bunny back to her.”

“She’s fine. And maybe you can take the bunny back to her yourself.”

“What … what do you mean?”

“Justin and I would like you to come to Edna’s Treasures when you’re released on Friday. It’s a peaceful place for you to fully recover.”

“Oh Brian,” Joan said as tears sprang into her eyes. “Claire had said she’d come and stay with me at my house, but…”

“You’d rather avoid her daily histrionics.”

Joan nodded. “Are you sure? I know it’s an imposition…”

“It’s not an imposition. We want you there, and so does Bree. She misses her Gamma Joan.”

“Brian, thank you, I don’t know what to say.”

“Yes would suffice.”

“Then yes it is.”

Brian smiled at his mother who smiled right back.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 9






“Richie! Over here!” Emmett called as the young boy emerged from the entrance of the Rainbow School.

“Hi, Mr. Emm…I mean Emmett. I didn’t know you’d be waiting for me when school was over,” Richie said, but he couldn’t help but smile in return to Emmett’s big toothy grin.

“I wanted to know how your first day at the Rainbow School went. I couldn’t wait till you walked home to the loft.”

“Home,” Richie said with a smile.

“Yes, your home with me and Drew.”

“I like the sound of that,” Richie replied softly.

“So do we, sweetie,” Emmett replied laying his arm across Richie’s shoulders. “So, how was school?” Emmett asked again as they started walking towards the loft.

“It was … okay.”

“That doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement.”

“I spent all morning with the counselor going over all the stuff I missed,” Richie said with a frown. “I have so much homework.”

“I thought maybe that would be the case. We can work on it together,” Emmett suggested.

“You’re going to do my homework for me?” Richie asked hopefully.

“No, silly,” Emmett laughed, giving Richie a little swat on the arm. “But I thought if we were home together for the rest of the day, I could make you snacks and help you with any work that you didn’t understand.”

“You’re a teacher too?” Richie asked with a touch of sarcasm in his voice.

“No, I’m not,” Emmett replied, taking offense that Richie seemed to think he wouldn’t be any help with his homework. “But I might know the answer to a few things.”

“I’m sorry, Emmett,” Richie said quickly. “I just got so used to be being put down all the time, it’s hard for me to realize that you actually want to help me.”

“I do want to help you, and so does Drew. And we have a strong band of friends that we can call on, if we need to.”

“You do?” Richie asked with a surprised look on his face.

“Yes, Drew and I have lots of friends.”

“You never mentioned any … and I don’t have any friends at all,” Richie said sadly.

“I think that’s about to change.”

“You think so … really?”

“Yes, sweetie, I really do.”

They continued their walk in silence as Richie thought about all the new prospects this life seemed to be offering.



*****



“Here we are,” Justin said as Bree and Patrick hopped out of the SUV. He noted that Brian’s Corvette was parked in the lane, so he had made it back from Pittsburgh and the visit with his mother. They all headed to the house.

“Dada!” Bree called as she opened the front door.

“In the sun porch,” Brian called back.

The petite blonde ran through the house with Patrick hot on her heels.

“Dada!” Bree said coming through the doorway of the sun porch. “I missed you. Did you see Gamma…?” Bree stopped in her tracks as she spotted something pink at the side of the porch. “What’s that, Dada?” Bree asked pointing to the pink piano.

“It’s your first piano,” Brian replied.

“But…”

“It’s so … pink,” Patrick piped up. “Look at it, Bree.”

“But…”

“Do you want to try it?” Brian asked, smiling at his daughter.

Justin had arrived at the entrance to the sun porch. He noted Bree’s less than enthusiastic reception of the piano. “Um … maybe Bree would like to wait until after she has a snack.”

Brian frowned and studied Bree’s face. “Don’t you like it?”

“It’s not like the one at school,” Bree said slowly.

“It’s a child’s piano.”

“I … wanted … a real one.”

“When you get older we’ll get you a real one … if you still want it,” Brian added. He was not happy at the reception their new gift was receiving.

“Does it make music?” she asked.

“Of course it does,” Brian snapped getting angry that Bree didn’t like the piano.

“Can I try it?”

“I already asked you if you wanted to,” Brian replied tersely.

“Sorwy, Dada,” Bree said contritely. She walked over to the piano. Carefully she pulled out the little bench and sat down. “I don’t know where middle C is on this piano,” Bree said looking at the small keyboard.

Brian opened his mouth to say something about how the hell did she know what middle C was, when Justin stepped in. “Have they taught you that at school?” he asked.

“Yes, Daddy. I watched the teacher when she plays.”

“Hit a few keys and see how it sounds,” Justin advised.

Bree held her hands over the keys and hit a few notes. The sound wasn’t too bad. “I don’t know how to play this. I need to learn how to play,” Bree said with a sigh.

“You’re really serious about this, aren’t you?” Justin asked.

“Yes, Daddy.”

“There’s a little book of tunes you can play with this piano,” Justin said, “but maybe we can look at that after you and Patrick have something to eat.”

“’Kay, Daddy,” Bree said standing up and pushing the bench under the pink piano.

“You and Patrick go wash your hands, and I’ll get you a snack,” Justin instructed them.

The two children ran off to the bathroom to wash up. Justin turned to his husband.

“We made a mistake with this piano, didn’t we?” Brian asked.

“Maybe,” Justin said uncertainly. “She seems to know a lot more about the piano than I thought she did.”

“I forgot how smart she is. We should have got her a real piano,” Brian said.

“We’ll see. Let’s let her try the instruction book with this one first. If she likes it, we can get her a piano later.”

“I thought she’d love it because it’s pink,” Brian said sadly.

“I don’t know who’s more disappointed – you or her?”

“Both of us,” Brian replied as he followed Justin into the kitchen. In the doorway he glanced back at his big surprise for Bree. It had been a colossal dud.



*****



“I’ll get it,” Richie called out to Emmett who was cooking up a storm in the kitchen. Richie was working on his homework and trying to organize all his make up assignments, when a knock on the door gave him a needed distraction.

“Emmett do you have any...?” Katerina began as she stood in the doorway. “Hello.”

“Hi,” Richie replied. “Um...”

“Hiya, honey,” Emm said coming to the door, towel in hand as he dried his hands. “What can I do for you?”

“I was making salsa and I ran out of cilantro. You wouldn’t happen to have any, would you?”

“Of course I have cilantro! What kitchen would be complete without it? Come on in and I’ll get you a bunch.”

“Thank you, Emm. Lacy actually took the evening off so I thought I’d make something nice and spicy,” Katerina said as she looked over at the young man who seemed to be taken with her. “Emm, who’s your friend?”

“Oh, goodness me! Where are my manners? Ms. Katerina Taylor, allow me to present our foster son, Richie Cross. Richie, this is our good friend, Katerina. She and her partner, Lacy, live up on the second floor. Lacy owns the Liberty Diner and Katerina is a nurse at Allegheny General. Richie has only been here for a short time. He hasn’t had the chance to meet all the family yet.”

“It’s so very nice to meet you, Richie.” Katerina beamed at the young man as she shook his hand. “Emmett and Drew are wonderful; you couldn’t be with more loving people.”

“Aw, thank you, sweetie. Here you go.” Emmett handed Katerina a nice fresh bunch of cilantro. “Drew and I are so happy Richie found his way to us.” Emmett had tears in his eyes.

“Are you going to have a party to introduce him to the family?”

“You know, I hadn’t thought about it. Everything happened so fast. Richie, honey, would you like a party?”

“I’m not sure,” Richie whispered with his head bowed toward the floor.

“I’m sorry, sweetie, maybe it’s all still overwhelming. We can shelve the party idea for now.” Emmett gave Richie a hug and Richie accepted it.

“Brian and Justin usually host an annual Memorial Day barbecue. I bet the whole family will be there. It might be a nice way to introduce Richie to the family.”

“I almost forgot about that; that sounds like a good idea. I’ll mention it to Brian. You and Lacy okay?” Emmett said with a wink.

Katerina blushed as she nodded. “Very okay.”

“Honey, those getaway spa weekends work wonders!”

“I know. Brian is so good to us.”

“Oh honey, you know the man is just a big ole teddy bear.” Emmett and Katerina had a good laugh just as Drew walked through the door.

“Hey, Babe,” Drew said as he gave Emmett a big sloppy kiss. He gave Katerina a kiss on the cheek as well. “Hey Kat, how are you?”

“Very well, Drew. I better get back upstairs, Lacy will be home soon and I want to have the salsa ready.”

“She likes it spicy?” Emmett asked with big grin.

“Hot and spicy!”

“Ooooo! You go, girl!” They laughed again as Emmett showed Katerina out.

“Something smells good,” Drew said as he inhaled the heavenly aromas of Emmett’s cooking. Drew walked into the kitchen to stand behind Emm, as he took a sheet of buttery golden brown dinner rolls out of the oven. “Mmm, you’re the best, Babe.”

Drew waited as Emmett put the rolls on a rack to cool before drawing his partner into his arms then giving him a deep loving kiss. The look of love in each man’s eyes was unmistakable, Richie observed.

“Let me wash up and change then I’ll help set the table,” Drew murmured against Emmett’s lips. Emmett smiled as Drew walked toward their bedroom. Passing Richie, Drew smiled warmly at the boy and ruffled his hair.

“Emmett, can I ask you something personal?” Richie asked with some hesitation.

“Sure, but I won’t guarantee I’ll answer.”

“You’re gay, right?”

“Out and proud. Why? Sweetie, do you think you’re gay?”

“I’m not sure.” Richie lowered his gaze toward the floor again. Then in a whisper he admitted, “I think Mr. Brian is really hot.”

“So does half of Pittsburgh. You have good taste. Our Mr. Kinney is one hot, sexy man and he knows how to use it too. Unfortunately, since they made their commitment, the only one who gets to know just how sexy and hot Brian is, is Justin. Richie, you’re living in the gay capital of the Pitts. Liking boys is okay here.”

“But Miss Katerina is really pretty.”

“Yes she is...oh my god!”

“What’s wrong, Babe?” Drew asked as he came out of their bedroom dressed in old soft sweats. He started to gather the dishes to set the table.

“Oh Drewsie, our baby boy is bi!” Emmett screeched with delight as he quickly gave Richie a hug worthy of Debbie. “I’m so proud!” he said as he sniffled with happy tears.

Drew just smiled, shaking his head as Richie blushed in Emmett’s arms.



*****



“But why, Mom? I can stay with you or you can come home with me,” Claire whined as she sat by her mother’s bedside. “Don’t you want me to help you?”

“Claire, I appreciate the offer but you and Jake live in a small apartment now that the boys are all grown. Besides, where would I sleep? I don’t think I could spend the night on your couch even though it is quite beautiful. And I don’t want to be any trouble. Briana just called to invite me to stay in her room for a while.”

“I think you love Brian and Bree more than me,” Claire mumbled as tears slipped down her face.

“That’s not true and you know it. I love you and your brother equally,” Joan said trying not to get herself upset.

“When me and Brian were kids I used to wish for a miracle to make you and Daddy love Brian like I knew you loved me. I never understood why you hated him so much.”

“Claire,” Joan sighed.

“Mother, I’m not going to dredge up the past. I’m just grateful that the three of us have reconciled and I can see where staying out in the country at Edna’s Treasures may make more sense. It is very peaceful out there. I bet Brian’s garden is blooming.”

“You know if you asked, I bet he’d love to have you stay out there for a few days,” Joan said with a sleepy smile. “You’ve never spent much time with Brian and Justin. Do you think your husband would mind being a bachelor for a couple of days?”

“I don’t think he’d mind. Mother, go to sleep. I’ll be back tomorrow.”

“Call your brother.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Claire said as she leaned over her mother’s hospital bed to give her mother a kiss on the forehead.



*****



Bree sat her pink piano. She studied the manual that had come with it. Placing her fingers where the book indicated she started striking the keys with authority. Out came Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, with only one slight mistake that caused Bree’s face to wrinkle in disgust.

“How did she do that?” Brian whispered to Justin, as the two men sat together on one of the chaises making an appropriate audience for their daughter’s first concert. John and Bobby and Patrick had discretely decided to go to their side of the cottages after dinner, so that Bree wasn’t faced with too big an audience.

“Must be my musical genes shining through,” Justin said smugly.

“What musical genes?” Brian asked giving his husband a sharp pinch.

“Ow! Not fair. You know I can dance. I was the King of Babylon, remember,” Justin reminded his husband.

Brian snorted. “Being King of Babylon has less to do with your dancing ability than the size of your dick … and how much of it you’re willing to show.”

“I didn’t show any of my dick.”

“Those tightie whities of yours left little to the imagination.”

“You noticed,” Justin giggled.

“I always notice.”

“You played that really well, Bree. Try it again,” Justin advised his daughter when Bree stopped playing.

“’Kay, Daddy.” Bree tapped out the tune again – this time without any mistakes.

“That was very good, Squirt,” Brian told her, feeling pride in their gifted daughter flow through him.

Bree flashed her Taylor smile in response. Maybe this piano wasn’t so bad after all, but Bree still wanted a big, real piano. “I’m going to play another one,” she told her fathers confidently. She turned the page in the instruction book that sat atop the little piano. She found the next tune was Chopsticks. She positioned her fingers and played the tune flawlessly. “This is really easy,” she said.

“For you it seems to be,” Justin replied with his own Taylor smile of pride.

“Too easy,” Brian whispered.

“Try another one, Bree,” Justin instructed, as the telephone rang in the kitchen.

“I’ll get it,” Brian said getting up from the chaise. He heard Bree start to play Heart and Soul as he reached the phone. He picked up the receiver from its cradle on the wall. “Hello?”

“Brian, it’s Claire.”

“Did something happen to Joan? What’s wrong?” Brian asked, trying to keep the panic out of his voice as the very real possibility of horrible news came rushing at him.

“No, nothing like that. I didn’t mean to frighten you,” Claire apologized.

“You didn’t frighten me. I don’t do fear … and stop rolling your eyes.”

Claire laughed. “You are as full of shit as you were when you were fifteen.”

“Don’t remind me of the bad old days.”

“Sorry once again.”

“To what do I owe the honor of this call, and no thanks for the trip down memory lane?”

“I was with mother earlier, and she said she wanted to stay with you when she’s released from the hospital.”

“Yes, she thought this would be a nice, peaceful place for her recovery.”

“I … I was disappointed she didn’t want to stay with me,” Claire admitted.

“Your place is way too small.”

“I know, but I could have stayed at her house with her.”

“Claire, is there any point to this? Does mother want to stay at her house? If she does, then say so.”

“No, she wants to stay with you and Justin. I … I’d like to come with her, for a couple of days … if you wouldn’t mind, that is.”

“You mean stay here?”

“Only if it’s all right with you,” Claire clarified. “And if you don’t have room, that’s fine. I won’t come.” Claire was starting to think this whole idea was a big mistake. Brian didn’t seem to want her at Edna’s Treasures. She felt a tear trickle from one eye, as she waited for Brian’s refusal.

“Hell, we slept about a hundred and fifty people here at Christmas one year. Come on down, the more the merrier,” Brian finally responded.

“Do you mean it?” Claire asked hopefully. “It would be all right if I came? You’re sure?”

“Of course it is,” Brian said gently, hearing the relief in Claire’s voice.

“Then I’ll see you on Friday with mother.”

“Right,” Brian said before hanging up.

“Who was that?” Justin asked as Brian slid in next to him on the chaise.

“My darling sister.”

“Claire?”

“Yes, thank god I only have the one.”

“Is … is Joan all right?”

“She’s fine. Hey, squirt, practice hard. Your Gamma Joan and your Auntie Claire will be coming here to be an audience for your concerts.”

Bree flashed him a smile, and started playing Chopsticks again.

“Claire’s coming with Joan?” Justin asked. Brian nodded. “Just dropping her off, right?”

“Nope, staying for a couple of days.”

“No shit!”

“No shit,” Brian said with a smirk. “For some reason she has decided now’s the time for an extended visit.”

“Well I’ll be…”

“I already am,” Brian laughed. “She blew me away with this request.” All Justin could do was nod in agreement as Bree continued her mini-concert for them.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 10






“Kinney.”

“Hiya, honey!”

“What can I do for you, Honeycutt?”

“First, you can stop calling me Honeycutt. Second, you can answer a question for me.”

“Shoot.”

“Do you intend to host the family Memorial weekend barbecue?”

“Emm, I really haven’t given it much thought.”

“Oh? It’s only a couple of weeks away. If we’re going to do it right, we need time to plan and to inform the family.”

“WE? The last I heard it’s usually ME that grills up a fucking storm to feed the family and it’s our house that the family traipses through.”

“True, but it’s WE that usually helps, including the family.”

“True. Emm, I honestly don’t know about having a party.”

“You still recovering from Bree’s sleepover?”

“No,” Brian chuckled. “We’ve all sufficiently recovered thanks to you and your organizational skills. It’s just...”

“What’s wrong, honey?”

“Joan. She had heart surgery a few days ago.”

“A few days...Brian, why didn’t you call me?”

“Emm, you just brought Richie home and it all happened so fast. One minute I was at Kinnetik with a pink piano in the back of my Jeep, the next minute I’m at the hospital arguing with Father Tom. And now my sister is going to spend the weekend.”

“Sweetie, you’re not making any sense.”

“I know. And Bree hates her pink piano.”

“Brian, please don’t take this the wrong way, but can I speak with Justin?”

“Sure,” Brian said as he brought the portable phone to Justin.

“Hello?”

“Justin, honey, it’s Emmett. What is going on with Brian? All I asked him was if you guys were throwing your annual Memorial Day barbecue and he started rambling on about Joan and heart surgery, a pink piano, Claire spending the weekend and fighting with Father Tom! What’s been going on over there?!”

For the next ten minutes, Justin calmly updated Emmett on Joan and Bree. Emmett updated Justin on Richie. The best of friends agreed, a family barbecue was just the thing to introduce Richie to the family and to celebrate life in general.

“Will you promise me something?”

“What, Emm?”

“Please take care of Brian. He really sounded out of it. You know how much I love him; he’s like the rock of this family.”

“I promise. As a matter of fact, as soon as I hang up I’ll take real good care of Brian.”

“You go, honey! Call me tomorrow; I want details. Tootles!”

Justin hung up the phone wearing a devilish smirk. He quietly went about the cottage, shutting off lights and locking up. He checked in on Bree, who was fast asleep in her room. He made sure his latest painting was protected and up into the rafters. Justin went into their bedroom to strip down to a simple white t-shirt. Wearing the innocent looking white shirt and his favorite cargo pants, Justin then went to find his spouse.

“Brian?” Justin quietly called out as he rounded the spiral staircase and walked into Brian’s office.

“Hey,” Brian replied with his nose buried in the contract he was reviewing.

“Bri?” Justin said, standing at the edge of Brian’s desk, patiently waiting for Brian to look up.

“Hmm?” Brian looked up then did a double take. Justin stood smiling a sweet smile. The moonlight shining through the glass ceiling of the sun porch bathed Justin’s pale skin with its ethereal light. The sight took Brian’s breath away and made him hard.

Brian’s eyes traveled up and down Justin’s body, taking in the still youthful physique and the innocent expression that Brian knew hid a passionate devil of a man that lay beneath.

“You are one fucking hot walking wet dream, Sunshine,” Brian growled with lust as he took his spouse into his arms to give him a deep toe curling kiss. “Bed, now,” he said as he grabbed Justin’s hand to lead him down the stairs toward their room.

When the lovers got into their room, Brian locked the door behind them then locked Justin with a look of unabashed lust and desire. As Justin attempted to take off his t-shirt, Brian stopped him. Recognizing the need in Brian to regain some control in his life, Justin allowed Brian to undress him. Justin’s t-shirt wound up somewhere near the window.

Lowering himself to his knees, Brian kissed a path down Justin’s chest and belly toward the light brown fuzz near the waistband of Justin’s pants. Brian opened the button then pulled down the zipper. Brian pushed down Justin’s pants letting them and his underwear pool around his ankles while Brian inhaled the musky scent of his lover. He nosed around Justin’s pubes, chuckling at the whispered ramble of curses that emanated from Justin.

“Cock tease,” Justin griped.

Brian laughed. “Never,” he said at he sucked down Justin’s thick hard member to the root.

“Oh God,” Justin moaned as the master of sex gave Justin a mind-blowing blowjob as only Brian Kinney could.

“Gonna come,” Justin murmured as he felt his balls draw up and his legs begin to feel shaky. Brian held him steady as he sucked hard on the head of Justin’s dick. In moments, Justin came, filling Brian’s mouth with hot cum. Brian greedily drank down the essence of his lover as Justin attempted to recover. Quickly, Brian removed Justin’s sneakers so that Justin could step out of his pants then rising back up, Brian held Justin until he was ready to move. Brian guided his lover to their bed.

“You’re wearing far too many clothes,” Justin complained as he got into the bed.

“You want me naked?” Brian whispered low.

“Always. You are the most beautiful man I have ever seen,” Justin said sincerely. Brian smiled then divested himself of his clothes. He crawled onto their bed, gently lowering himself on top of Justin.

“Want you,” Brian whispered. Justin spread his legs.

Quickly grabbing a tube of lube from the bedside table, Brian prepared Justin then applied some lube onto himself. Lifting Justin’s legs to his shoulders, Brian pushed his way into Justin. After years of loving, Justin’s body opened itself willingly to Brian.

Easily finding their rhythm, Brian angled himself to hit Justin’s sweet spot time and time again. Even though Justin had come mere minutes before, he found himself growing hard as Brian thrust harder and deeper. Justin moaned, his body shuddering in response to Brian’s lovemaking. Brian watched as a thin sheen of sweat began to form on JustinÂ’s brow.

“Touch yourself, Sunshine,” Brian commanded. Justin’s hand automatically found its way to his dick to pump it in time with Brian’s forceful thrusts. Brian felt Justin’s muscles tighten around him.

“Brian!”

“Let it go, Justin,” Brian growled. Justin arched up, groaning loudly as he came, coating his hand and belly with cum. Brian closely followed emptying himself into Justin then collapsing onto his lover.

“Mmm,” Justin murmured in sated bliss.

“Am I too heavy?” Brian was ready to withdraw and lay next to Justin.

“Never. Stay,” Justin begged as Brian nuzzled the sweaty neck, nibbling on Justin’s earlobe.

“Forever,” Brian whispered before he kissed Justin’s lips. “I love you.”

“I love you,” Justin repeated as the lover’s snuggled then fell asleep.



*****



“Hm,” Brian said as something broke through his layers of sleep. He had been having a fantastic dream about … Justin and his dick. Brian rolled towards his husband, as the noise that had interrupted his dream penetrated his brain once again. He opened his eyes. “Bree,” he mumbled, swinging his legs out of the bed.

While Justin slept on, Brian pulled on some sweatpants and unlocked the bedroom door. He followed the sounds of … music out to the sun porch. Bree was at her pink piano, playing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

“Bree, why are you up so early?” Brian asked his daughter.

“I don’t know. I wokeded up,” she said turning from the piano to stare at her father. “I couldn’t open your door.”

Brian grinned thinking about what he and Justin had done behind that locked door. Clearing his throat, he asked, “What are you doing, Squirt?”

“Playing my piano.”

“I can hear that, but it’s still early.”

“Your door wouldn’t open,” Bree said petulantly. She had tried the door, but when it wouldn’t budge, she decided to play her pink piano instead of pounding on the door, and maybe incurring the wrath of her fathers.

“Are you hungry?” Brian asked. He didn’t want to get into why the door was locked.

“Yes, Dada.”

“I’ll get you some breakfast,” Brian said heading for the kitchen. He heard Bree start once again to practise on her piano. “I think we better get her a fucking real piano,” he muttered as he disappeared into the kitchen.

Justin found his husband and daughter sitting at the kitchen table eating Cheerios.

“Why didn’t you wake me?” he asked as he poured himself a coffee.

“I thought you could use your beauty sleep,” Brian smirked.

“I wonder what made you think that,” Justin grinned.

“Hi, Daddy,” Bree interrupted. She knew something was going on between her fathers, and she didn’t like being excluded.

“Morning, sweetheart.”

“Is Gamma Joan coming today?”

“Yes, she is, and Auntie Claire.”

Bree frowned. “I don’t ‘member Auntie Claire very well.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian snarked.

“Brian,” Justin said ominously. Brian merely shrugged.

“Will Gamma Joan be here when I come home from school?” Bree asked.

“Auntie Claire’s picking her up from the hospital this morning and driving her here. They should be here when you get home.”

“Yay!” Bree reacted. “Will she bring my grey bunny?”

“I’m sure Gamma Joan will remember your bunny. Are you okay with Gamma Joan sleeping in your room?” Justin asked.

“Yep. I’ll sleep in Gus’ room. But…”

“What?” Brian asked wondering if Bree was having second thoughts about giving up her room.

“Where will Auntie Claire sleep? Will she share Gus’ room with me?”

Brian grinned. “We thought she might like to sleep in the sun porch. It seems to make for a peaceful night’s sleep.”

“Oh?” Bree said.

“You don’t like that idea?”

“Then I can’t play my piano if I wake up early.”

“I guess you better sleep in then,” Brian smirked.

Bree frowned and glared at her father. That was not the answer she had wanted.

“Go get dressed for school,” Justin advised before the two got into something. “Why do you bait her like that?” he asked when Bree had run to her bedroom.

“I wasn’t baiting her.”

“Yes, you were.”

Brian smirked. “Baited you too. You Taylor’s are so easy.”

“Remember last night?” Brian nodded and frowned. “It won’t be happening again anytime soon if you’re not on your best behavior,” Justin threatened.

“I thought you liked me when I wasn’t on my best behavior,” Brian reminded him.

“You have your mother and sister coming to stay here. I don’t want Bree upset. And you…” Justin said pointing his finger at Brian, “…best behavior. That’s an order.”

“Yes, dear,” Brian said contritely … or as close to contrite as he could make his voice sound.



*****



“Are we almost there?” Claire asked with a weary sigh. It had been so long since she had visited Brian in his home that she had forgotten how long a drive it was.

“We just passed the general store. We’ll be there in a few minutes,” Joan replied with her own sigh. Listening to Claire complain and sigh made her even more certain that she had made the right decision to spend her recovery time at Edna’s Treasures, and not alone in her own house with Claire, or even worse, trapped in Claire’s small apartment with Claire and her husband.

“I hope my husband will be all right while I’m gone.”

“Good Lord, Claire, he’s a grown man. He can look after himself for a couple of days, can’t he?” Joan asked in exasperation. She was beginning to think it was a big mistake to have encouraged Claire to stay at Edna’s Treasures with her.

“Of course he can look after himself, mother,” Claire said indignantly. “It’s just that … we’re rarely apart.”

“Poor man,” Joan muttered to herself.

“What did you say?”

“Oh, um, just that I’m glad we’re almost there. I feel a little tired.”

“You’re not going to faint or anything, are you?” Claire asked with a worried look on her face as she stared at her mother.

“Keep your eyes on the road,” Joan ordered, “or you’ll kill both of us.”

“I’m a good driver,” Claire said petulantly.

“Of course you are, dear,” Joan said aloud while thinking just the opposite to herself.

“There’s the gate to Edna’s Treasures up ahead,” Joan said with relief. “Slow down.”

“I am slowing down,” Claire responded. She was beginning to wonder why she had wanted to spend time with her mother. “When did they get a gate?”

“A couple of years ago.”

“Oh.”

“Stop by that box and push the button,” Joan instructed.

Brian’s voice came over the intercom almost immediately.

“He must have been waiting for us to arrive,” Joan said with a tired smile.

“It’s Claire,” Claire said into the box.

“Come on in,” Brian said as he released the gate for them.

Claire drove along the lane marveling at all the new buildings. Joan told her about Molly and Owen having a cottage on the lane now to go along with Emmett and Drew’s place.

When Claire pulled to a stop in front of Edna’s Treasures, the front door opened and Brian and Justin came out to the car.

“How was the trip, mother?” Brian asked as he opened the door for her.

“Tiring.”

Brian took his mother’s arm and felt her lean against him. “Let’s get you settled in Bree’s room. You can lie down and rest for a while.”

“That sounds heavenly,” Joan said softly.

Brian started walking her towards the door. Justin saw Claire standing at her side of the car watching her brother and her mother totally forget about her as they went inside the house.

“Claire,” he said gently, “have you got some bags?”

“Oh, yes, thank you, Justin. They’re in the trunk,” Claire replied pushing the button on the key ring to open the trunk.

Justin carried the two bags into the house with Claire following him. “There’s a pot of coffee in the kitchen if you’d like some.”

“Do you have any tea?” Claire asked.

“Um, sure. I’ll drop this off for Joan and be right back.” Justin set Claire’s bag down and carried the other one down to Bree’s room. Joan was already lying on the bed covered with one of the colorful quilts they kept in Bree’s closet. She looked very tired.

“I’ll hang things up for my mother,” Brian whispered. “Can you entertain Claire?”

“Sure! Give me the easy job, why don’t you!”

Brian chuckled as he unzipped Joan’s bag. Justin headed back to the kitchen.

“I’ll put the kettle on for tea,” Justin said as he saw Claire sitting at the kitchen table. He filled the kettle and set it on its base to boil.

“Thanks.”

“Regular tea all right?”

“Do you have any raspberry zinger? I quite like that.”

“Um, I’ll check,” Justin said pulling out a box of flavored teas that someone had given him at Christmas.

“Is mother okay?”

“She was lying down when I went in. Brian is unpacking her things. I have a raspberry treat tea,” Justin said hopefully.

“I guess that will have to do,” Claire said with a sigh.

Justin poured the boiling water over the teabag in a mug and carried it over to Claire. “Do you take anything in it?”

“Milk.”

“Right,” Justin said going to the fridge for some milk. Why did he suddenly feel like the hired help? He handed the jug of milk to Claire who had been bobbing the teabag up and down in her mug.

“Where am I going to sleep?” Claire asked as she fixed her tea with the milk. “Gus’ room?”

“Um, it has bunk beds and Bree’s going to sleep in there. Brian and I thought you might like to sleep in the sun porch.”

“The sun porch? You mean I don’t even get a room?”

“I guess you could share Gus’ room with Bree … or there’s a futon in the office in the attic.”

“Attic? Am I going to be treated like a poor relative?” Claire asked. “I knew this was a bad idea.”

“Um, maybe you should talk to Brian about this,” Justin said hastily.

“Talk to Brian about what?” Brian asked as he came in from Bree’s room.

“How’s mother?” Claire asked.

“Sleeping.” Brian poured himself a coffee.

“Claire doesn’t seem to like the idea of sleeping on the sun porch,” Justin explained.

“Why the fuck not? Everybody loves sleeping there.”

“But there’s … no privacy.”

“You’re in a house full of gay men. Privacy is not really an issue.”

“Well, it is for me … gay men or not,” Claire declared.

“Claire, there is a screen around the bed, and I promise you’ll have the utmost privacy.”

“I … I don’t know,” Claire said hesitantly.

“We could get Bree to sleep out there, and Claire could have Gus’ room,” Justin suggested.

“Whatever the fuck Claire wants!” Brian said with finality and made his way up to his office.

Justin smiled weakly at Claire. How the hell was he supposed to keep her occupied until Bree got home from school?


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 11






“Can I help with anything?” Claire asked tentatively. Justin was in the kitchen dicing up vegetables and throwing them into a large pot that was simmering on the stove.

“No, thank you, I’ve got it covered. Why don’t you rest a while or take a walk in the garden?”

“Maybe, in a while.” Claire inhaled the soft aroma of the ingredients that would soon meld together into chicken soup. Justin thought it would go down easy for Joan. “It smells delicious. I can’t believe you cook.”

“I love to cook. Brian cooks too.”

“Brian? Cooking? I don’t believe it.”

“Believe it. He may not be very good with the intricacies of chicken soup but he makes a mean breakfast and no one can match him when it comes to large hunks of meat on the grill,” Justin said proudly with a laugh. “He is the master of outdoor grilling.”

“My brother can cook,” Claire said incredulously.

“He also knows how to fashion the perfect pigtails!”

“Incredible.”

“Your brother is an incredible man. He’s also our chief gardener.”

“Oh, you have got to be kidding me.”

“Not at all. He’s probably out there now. Here,” Justin said as he handed Claire a bottle of water. “Can you bring this out to him?” Claire nodded as she took the bottle. She hesitated for a few seconds then walked down the hall toward the sun porch and the glass door that led to the garden.

“Should have bought her a real baby grand,” Brian muttered as he pulled out weeds from in between rows of tall deep purple irises. He was kneeling in the flowerbeds grumbling softly. Claire could hear him but couldn’t see him.

“Brian?”

“Over here,” he answered raising his arm and waving a small spade.

“What are you doing?” Claire asked as she handed him the bottle.

“Weeding,” Brian replied as he accepted the water then sat back on the path between the beds. “Pull up a slab,” he said as he patted a paver, twisting the cap off the bottle then taking a good long drink. “Joan still asleep?”

“Yes, and why do you insist on calling her Joan. She’s our mother. It’s not right and very rude of you.”

“Claire, our mother didn’t die so there’s no need to speak to me as if she did and you’ve already taken over the job,” Brian growled, scowling at his annoying sister. She’d only been at the cottage for less than two hours and already Brian was regretting it. “Besides, I’ve been referring to our mother as Joan for years. I don’t see why I should change.”

“Fine! I’ll drop it.”

“Good.” They sat on the path, not speaking. Brian leaned back on his elbows relishing in the bright sunlight warming his face.

“You’ve always had such beautifully tanned skin,” Claire commented. “If I stay out here without sunblock, I’ll fry.”

“Justin’s the same. He burns at just the thought of sun. He had to be very careful when he assembled his henge.”

“I saw it at the Village garden. It’s spectacular.”

“He’s spectacular.”

“Did you know he’s making soup? He thought it would be nice for mom. Did his mother teach him how to cook?”

“Jennifer? Nah. Don’t get me wrong, Jenn can cook but when it comes to making soup, nobody can make soup like Debbie. It’s her recipe.”

“And she doesn’t mind?”

“Mind? Who do you think taught him? She tried to teach me to cook,” Brian laughed.

“What’s so funny?”

“Me, twenty years ago, hanging out in Debbie’s kitchen. She was always trying to get me to eat.”

“You were always too skinny.”

“Yeah, well, it’s easy to get complacent. Besides I work hard to keep my girlish figure,” Brian quipped as he struck a pose for his sister.

“Idiot,” she mumbled. They sat quietly for awhile as Brian finished his water. He placed the empty bottle in his bucket then surveyed the bed he was working on.

“Did Justin show you the brass bed in the porch?”

“Yes, but...”

“You don’t like it.”

“It’s beautiful but I don’t like the idea of being so out in the open. I mean, anyone could see me through the window.”

“Claire, who the fuck is going to see you? We’re miles from anyone, we have a goddamn gate erected at the top of the lane and then there’s Beau. No one can get past Beau.”

“I just don’t know, Brian.”

“Oh for fuck’s sake! It’s only for two days. You can always use the futon in the office.” Claire snorted. “Very lady-like,” Brian snarked, “and for your information your mother has slept on that futon many times.”

“She has?”

“Old Joanie got rid of that stick up her ass years ago.”

“Brian! Watch your mouth, she’s our mother!”

“Get over yourself, Claire. I have.” Brian pushed himself up off the ground. “I have to add this shit to the compost bin and take a shower. It’s my turn to get the kids from school. You can come along with me if you’d like. I’m not sure Bree remembers you very well. She gets a little shy around strangers sometimes.”

“Um, okay.” Claire followed Brian to the compost bin and then into the house to wait for him.



*****



“Where’s Claire?” Joan asked as she came into the kitchen. Justin was sketching on a small pad while keeping an eye on his soup.

“She’s with Brian picking up the kids from school. Bree’s been so excited since she found out that you’ll be staying with us for awhile,” Justin said with a brilliant smile.

“I don’t want to be a burden.”

Justin put down his pad then turned to face the woman he had grown to care very deeply about. “You’re not a burden. We want you here. Brian wants you here. I’ve never seen him so worried like that before. He was scared.”

“I was scared. We wasted so much time with hate and distrust. I prayed for another chance to make it up to Brian.”

“I don’t think you have anything to make up. Brian’s moved on from what happened in the past. He’s just happy that you’re here.”

Joan smiled at that. “May I?” she asked as she picked up a pot holder so she could lift the cover off the simmering pot of soup. Justin nodded. “Mmm, smells good.”

“I thought soup would be easier on your stomach.”

“Thank you, that’s so thoughtful of you. I’d love to have your soup.”

“It’s got to cook some more but it’ll be ready for dinner. We’ll have some fresh bread and a salad too. We usually eat with the guys but if that’s too much for you, we can eat by ourselves in here.”

“Please don’t change your routine on my account. The boys are your family and that makes them my family. I really want my family around me right now.”

“Would you like some tea? If you’d like to sit in the porch I can bring it out to you.”

“I’d love a cup of tea. Thank you, Justin.”

“Then go make yourself comfortable and I’ll bring it out when it’s ready.” Joan smiled at the earnest young man then slowly walked out to the porch.



*****



“I don’t think I’ll ever make up all the work I owe,” Richie said sadly as Emmett picked him up from the Rainbow school. “I get the math stuff but history and English lit, yuck!”

Emmett chuckled at the face that Richie made. “Would it help if I got you a tutor? I have a good friend who’s a professor at Carnegie Mellon.”

“Do you know everybody?”

Emmett appeared to give the question some thought. “Not everybody, but enough. Shall I call Ben? Maybe he can spend some time with you this weekend.”

“Okay.”

Emmett flashed a toothy smile, planning to call Ben the minute they got home.



*****



“Hey, Squirt,” Brian called as Bree ran out of the school.

His daughter ran over to him wrapping her arms as far around his waist as she could get them. “Love you, Dada.”

“Love you too, Squirt. I brought someone with me today. Do you remember your Auntie Claire?” Brian asked nodding his head toward the front seat of the SUV where Claire had chosen to stay.

“I don’t know,” Bree replied holding onto Brian’s hand.

“Claire is my sister,” Brian said by way of further explanation.

“Like I’m Gus’ sister?” Bree asked.

“Yes, like that,” Brian said although he knew very well that his relationship with Claire was nothing like Bree’s relationship with Gus. “Can you give her a hug?”

Bree nodded as she studied the woman who got out of the SUV at Brian’s wave.

“Hello, Bree,” Claire said gently. Her worst nightmare would be that the little girl, the apple of her father’s eye, would refuse to acknowledge her.

“Hi,” Bree responded before running over and hugging her Auntie Claire much like she had hugged her father. “I’m glad you’re here, Auntie Claire,” she said when the hug ended.

“Suddenly … I’m really glad I’m here too.” Claire smiled over at her brother.

Brian smirked, thinking once again how that Taylor charm could melt even the frostiest heart.

“Hey, Uncle Bri,” Patrick called as he finally got out of school.

“Say hello to my sister Claire,” Brian advised the boy.

“Hello, Miss Claire,” Patrick said politely.

“Hello, young man.” Claire had been filled in on all the residents of Edna’s Treasures while she and Justin were waiting for Joan to wake up.

“All aboard,” Brian called indicating everyone should get back in the SUV.

“Hello, Mr. Brian!” Winona called as she too ran out of the school.

“Why, if it isn’t the beautiful Miss Winona,” Brian said with his best bow to the young lady. She blushed from head to toe.

“Brian, you are incorrigible,” Claire laughed.

“I’ve been told that a time or two,” Brian smirked.

“I have to go,” Winona said as a horn honked in the parking lot. It was her mother who thankfully didn’t get out of the car and accost Brian.

“Nice to see you again,” Brian said to the girl before she ran off to her mother’s car. He checked the seatbelts of the children before getting into the vehicle and starting the engine.

Claire looked at her brother as they drove away. He seemed so happy, and everyone liked him and she realized she didn’t much know him at all.



*****



“Gamma Joan, Gamma Joan!” Bree shouted as she burst through the front door of Edna’s Treasures.

“Slow down, sweetheart, she’s in the sun porch,” Justin managed to get out, before the little whirlwind disappeared from the kitchen. “Bree!” Justin shouted. “Halt!”

Bree stumbled to a stop just inside the entrance to the sun porch. She could see her Gamma Joan laying on one of the chaises. She was smiling at her granddaughter. Bree frowned wondering why her father had told her to halt. She knew that tone of voice and she knew he was to be obeyed. “What’s wrong, Daddy?” she asked as Justin caught up to her.

“Grandma Joan is still recuperating from her operation. You can’t throw yourself at her,” Justin warned in his father tone that said she better do as she was told.

“Oh!”

“Now, go say hello, but don’t get too rambunctious.”

“I’m okay, Justin,” Joan said with a little laugh.

“I’m not bunctious, Daddy,” Bree protested.

“You are sometimes, but not with Grandma Joan. Understood?”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“How’s my girl?” Joan asked.

“I’m fine, Gamma. Are you okay?” Bree had moved to the end of the chaise where she stood studying her Gamma. This woman looked like her Gamma Joan, but she seemed a little smaller and older in Bree’s young eyes.

“Just a little tired and weak,” Joan admitted. “Can I have a hug?”

Bree looked at her father for permission. Justin nodded and said, “Gently.”

Joan and Bree exchanged a warm but gentle hug. Joan shifted so that Bree could slide onto the chaise beside her.

“If you two can behave yourselves, I’ll get some snacks for the kids,” Justin said. “Would you like some tea, Joan?”

“That would be lovely.”

Justin went back into the kitchen to put the kettle on.

“I brought something back to you,” Joan said to Bree. She lifted the grey bunny from the side of the chaise.

“Oh, thank you, Gamma Joan. I missed you,” she said to the grey bunny before crushing him against her chest.

Joan smiled at the little girl. “He helped me get better faster, but he missed you.”

“I know,” Bree said solemnly as she hugged her bunny tightly. “Are you really okay, Gamma?”

“I’m going to be just fine and back to normal in a few days,” Joan promised.

“I love you, Gamma.”

Claire walked into the sun porch at that moment. She felt her eyes well up at the site of her mother and the little girl. She herself had rarely if ever shared such moments with Joan. And Joan had never done anything like this with Claire’s own sons. Claire felt the old green eyed monster rise inside her.

“Hi, Claire, did you enjoy the ride to the school?” Joan asked. “It’s such a beautiful day and the countryside is lovely out here. I’ve been lying here enjoying the afternoon sun.”

“Yes, beautiful day,” Claire mumbled.

“Is Auntie Claire your daughter?” Bree asked, beginning to put things together in her head.

“Yes, yes she is,” Joan said gently.

“How come you don’t visit us?” Bree asked Claire.

“I … I have a family of my own. They … um, they take up a lot of my time.”

“Oh,” Bree replied. She knew she too had a huge family, but there always seemed to be time for anyone who needed it or wanted it.

“Come sit on the chaise next to us,” Joan invited.

Claire moved over to them and sat down on the chaise. She wondered what they could talk about. She wasn’t much good at idle chatter.

“Did you see Bree’s new piano?” Joan asked her daughter.

Claire looked around the sun porch and spotted the little pink piano. “How cute … and how pink!”

“I can play real good,” Bree said. “My Daddy and my Dada might get me a real piano if I play good on this one.”

“You want to play the piano?” Claire asked. “Nobody in our family has any musical talent.”

“I like to sing,” Joan corrected her daughter.

“Me too. I love Christmas songs,” Bree added.

“Is that what started your interest in music?” Joan asked. “Going to all the Christmas concerts this year?”

“Yep,” Bree said bobbing her head to show her agreement. “I love singing in church.”

“Did … did Brian actually take her to church?” Claire asked.

“Of course he did,” Joan said rather sharply.

“But he…”

“Brian came to the Christmas concert at my church, and he brought the whole family.”

“Gus liked the singing too, and so did my daddies,” Bree informed her aunt. She couldn’t understand why her Auntie Claire seemed surprised that her Dada would take her to church, and that he liked to sing. “My Dada is a good singer,” she declared.

“Yes, he is, sweetheart,” Joan agreed.

Claire shook her head. The Brian she knew wouldn’t set foot inside a church, let alone go voluntarily to sing Christmas carols. What was the world coming to?

“Tea’s ready,” Justin called as he came back into the sun porch. He was carrying a tray with a teapot and mugs, and glasses of milk for the kids. Brian followed with snacks for them all.

“I thought we could have a cookie or two in honor of your recovery,” Brian said as he set the plate of cookies down on the table between the chaises.

“Yum, cookies,” Bree said.

“Yeah,” Patrick agreed. “You should come more often, Grandma Joan, so that we can have cookies.”

“It’s good to know that I have a valuable position in this family,” Joan laughed.

“You know you do, mother,” Brian said squeezing Joan’s shoulder gently.

“Yes, I do know. Thank you, son.”

Claire observed the obvious affection between her mother and her brother. How had things come to be like this? She truly felt like an outsider in her own family.

Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 12





“Hi Emmett...no, I haven’t spoken to him yet. I haven’t found the right time. Yes, I know you’ll help and organize the family. Emm, we’re just about to sit down to dinner. He’s a little testy right now. Yes, I did take care of him. No, I will not give you details. Emmett, I do not kiss and tell. Emm, they’re waiting, I gotta go. Okay! I promise to ask him at dinner.”

“Is that Auntie Emm on the phone, Daddy?” Bree asked as she came into the kitchen to get the silverware the family would need for the soup and salad. She knew very well who was on the phone.

“I’m hanging up now,” Justin said as he quickly hung up the phone. “Yes it was, baby girl.” Justin had the bowls and napkins ready to take them out to the porch.

“What did he want?”

“He wants me to ask your Dada about having a barbecue on the Memorial Day weekend.”

“Oh. I can ask Dada for you, Daddy.”

“Thank you sweetheart but I think I can handle it. Let’s go set the table.”

“Okay, Daddy.”

Bree and Justin brought the bowls and cutlery out into the porch where John, Brian and Bobby had rearranged the dining table. It was now back in the middle of the room so that the family could eat dinner comfortably. Claire and Bree helped Justin set the table while the guys brought in the soup and the rest of dinner.

“Dada, what’s Memorial Day?” Bree asked innocently when there was a lull in the dinner conversation.

“It’s the day we remember the sacrifices the men and women of our armed services have made,” Brian answered matter-of-factly as he passed the salad. He placed extra cucumber slices on Bree’s plate.

“Oh,” Bree replied as she popped a cucumber slice into her mouth.

“Dada, why do we have a party on Memorial Day?”

“Because Memorial Day has become the unofficial start of the Summer season and we’ve made it a tradition to mark the day with a barbecue,” Brian said taking a sip of Justin’s flavorful soup.

“Oh. Are we going to have a barbecue this year, Dada?” Bree asked, automatically batting her long blond lashes up at her father. John and Bobby started to snicker, attempting to hide behind their spoons. Justin sighed, rolling his eyes then sending a brief glare at his manipulative daughter. Patrick wisely remained quiet. Brian knew he was being played.

“I’m not so sure. Gamma Joan needs peace and quiet so she can get better, Squirt,” he said nonchalantly, sending his own death glare toward his brother and brother-in-law. “A barbecue may be too much for her.” Joan was about to object when Brian narrowed his eyes at her. Joan took a sip of soup instead. Claire had no clue what was going on.

“Oh. But, Dada, if I let Gamma Joan sleep with my grey bunny and she gets better really, really fast then can we have a party? And Auntie Emm said he would help.”

“He said that, did he? And when did you speak to Auntie Emm?”

“I didn’t, Dada. Daddy did, just before dinner,” Bree said with a big smile. Justin’s eyes grew very wide then he gulped. Brian slowly turned toward his spouse.

Clearing his throat, Justin smiled innocently then batted his lashes at Brian. John and Bobby cracked up. “Brian, Emmett suggested we celebrate Joan’s road to recovery and it would be a great way of introducing Richie to the whole family.” Justin flashed his sunniest smile.

“Uh huh,” Brian deadpanned. “And when were you planning to tell me?”

“I was waiting for the right time to discuss it, but someone beat me to it,” Justin said as he gave Bree a pointed look. “You know we haven’t had the whole family over in a long time. And the family’s been growing.”

"The guys could use a good barbecue too,” John added.

“The guys?” Brian asked.

“My crews. They’ve been working day and night in shifts on the new school project. They really need a good party to boost their spirits.”

“Greaaat. So instead of cooking for a hundred and fifty, I’ll be cooking for two hundred and fifty. Our plumbing can only take so much,” Brian griped.

“Not to worry, I’ll have the guys bring a few port-a-potties,” John said waiting for his brother’s response. He didn’t have long to wait. Brian’s eyebrows rose into his hairline. “I’ll have them set back far from your garden so they don’t offend your delicate esthetic sensibilities.” John had read his brother correctly. “And you know the guys will bring extra grills and the food to go with it.”

“And where are we going to put all these people?”

“Brian, it’s not like we have the only cottage in the neighborhood,” Bobby contributed.

“Red, you have a true gift for understatement.”

“Come on, Bri, you know most of the family won’t stay the night. They’ll all go home,” Bobby continued.

“Eventually.”

“You’re just being an ass. Debbie will probably show up in her moving motel. My sister’s house is practically empty and the gang is all used to doubling up. Now we have Molly’s cottage and the girls’ place.”

“I know, Red, but Joan...”

“Brian, I have a check up with my surgeon and the cardiologist next Friday.”

“I’m taking you,” Brian quickly demanded.

“As you wish. We’ll ask the doctors’ opinion. But Brian, even if they suggest that I don’t attend, there’s no reason why you have to break with tradition and not have your barbecue. If I do attend and get tired, I can come in and lay down in Briana’s room.”

“Brian, if it’s too noisy on this side of the cottage, Joan can certainly rest in our room. It’s on the other side of the house and quiet,” John offered.

“Bri, my father will most likely come; he’s still a practicing doctor. Hunter and Nick will probably be here too. That’ll make two doctors to keep an eye on Joan if necessary,” Bobby added.

Brian sighed; he was beginning to buckle under the pressure.

“Mom, what do you think?” Brian turned toward Joan. Claire was watching the whole exchange with fascination.

“Brian, the holiday isn’t for two weeks. I have no doubt I’ll be feeling so much better by then, if not, then I’ll spend it at home. I’m sure Claire or Danny will be around to help.”

Claire nodded in agreement.

“You know, for a woman who’s been homophobic for most of her adult life, you sure get along with that old queen,” Brian grumbled.

“He keeps me in touch with my feminine side,” Joan deadpanned without hesitation.

Brian gave his mother an incredulous look as the guys cracked up with laughter. After a moment, Brian and Joan joined in as well. Then Patrick and Bree began to laugh. They had no idea what their parents were laughing at; they were just happy that their parents were happy.

“Okay, okay, I know when I’m outnumbered. Sunshine, after dinner, call Emmett and tell him...Justin, what’s the problem?” Brian noticed that Justin was squirming in his seat.

“My phone is vibrating in my pocket,” Justin replied as he took out his phone. Quickly looking at the caller ID and noting it was Emmett, Justin passed the phone to Brian.

Brian scowled as he noted the number. “What the fuck do you want, Honeycutt? And before you ask me, the Memorial Day love fest is on. Go start the tongues wagging on the gay grapevine.” Brian quickly held the phone away from his ear when he heard the loud squee. He snapped the phone shut then handed it back to Justin. “Maybe now we can finish our dinner in peace before the soup gets cold,” Brian mumbled as he picked up his spoon. The family nodded, murmuring their agreement as dinner resumed.

“Dada, what’s the gay grapevine?” Bree asked with big wide innocent eyes. Brian sighed then hung his head as the family snickered.



*****



“Richie,” Emmett crowed. “That was Brian, and the Memorial Day barbecue is a go.”

“Oh, great,” Richie said in a rather subdued fashion.

“Hey, I thought you were looking forward to meeting everyone.”

“I … what if they don’t like me?” Richie asked, the trepidation clear in his voice.

“They’re going to love you,” Emmett assured the boy.

“Of course they will,” Drew added.

They had just finished dinner and were cleaning up.

“You don’t know that,” Richie said stubbornly. “My own parents hate me.”

Emmett flinched. This was the first time they had heard Richie really mention his parents. “You don’t know our friends,” Emmett said trying to make the boy feel better. “They’re a bunch of misfits. They’ll love you, just like Drew and I do.”

“You … you think I’m a misfit too,” Richie stammered. Tears welled in his eyes and started down his cheeks. “I’m a freak. Everybody but freaks hates me, and they probably will too.” Richie ran to the bedroom he had learned to love and slammed the door behind him.

“What did I say?” Emmett asked in bewilderment. “I didn’t call him a freak, did I?”

“By implication,” Drew said carefully, “maybe you did.”

“Oh fuck, Drewsie! What am I going to do?”

“He’ll get over it.”

“I better go talk to him,” Emmett replied horror in his eyes.

“Let me,” Drew said.

“Are you sure? I created this mess. How could I have been so stupid?” Emmett was ready to take full blame. Everything had been going so well up to now. Trust him to wreck everything. “I should try to explain.”

“Babe, let me. You might make it worse.”

“Fuck!”

“I know. I’ll be as careful with what I say as I can be.”

“Okay, if you’re sure,” Emmett conceded.

“All I can do is try.”

“Good luck, sweetie,” Emmett replied kissing Drew’s cheek and receiving a much needed hug in return.

Drew walked over to the door to Richie’s room. “Richie,” he called as he tapped on the door.

“Leave me alone. You don’t want to be around a freak … and neither does anyone else.”

“You’re not a freak. I’m coming in.”

Drew turned the knob and found the door unlocked. He smiled when he realized that Richie wasn’t really locking them out of his life. The boy obviously needed some reassurance about his place in the world, just as Drew had suspected. Drew walked into the room.

“Richie,” he said gently

“What?” was the response from the huddled mass on the bed.

“We don’t think you’re a freak.”

“Yes you do, everybody does,” Richie said defiantly as he rolled over to face Drew. His cheeks were stained with the tears he had already shed.

“Richie, there’s something I think you need to understand,” Drew said sitting down on the edge of Richie’s bed.

“I understand,” the boy gulped. “You want me to leave, don’t you?”

“We most certainly do not!” Drew said emphatically. “So erase that idea from your head.”

“Really?” Richie asked searching Drew’s eyes for confirmation that they still wanted him. “You’re not going to send me away?”

“We just got you,” Drew said with a little chuckle. “Let’s give it a little time … at least a day or two.”

“Meaning that you might send me away later?” Richie asked.

Drew sighed. “We have no intention of sending you away, not now, not ever.”

Richie frowned. “Even if I’m not perfect, even if I screw up?”

“Even if…” Drew said reaching out to touch Richie’s shoulder. “And we don’t expect you to be perfect. Nobody’s perfect.”

“But I’m so … not perfect.” Richie looked like he was ready to cry again.

“I like you just the way you are … and Emmett loves you. We don’t want you to change, Richie. We just want you to be happy.”

“For real?” Richie asked.

“Totally for real.”

“But … what about your friends? They’re going to hate me.”

“They don’t even know you, Richie. Just be yourself, and everything will be fine.”

“You don’t know that.”

“I do know that,” Drew stated. “I know these people. When Emmett said that they were misfits, it wasn’t a slight to you or them. We’ve all had our problems with family or friends or people at work.” Drew remembered the reaction of his teammates when he came out.

“Even you?” Richie asked. He knew that Drew was a famous jock. How could his life be bad?

“Even me. Many of the people you’ll meet at the barbecue are gay. They’ve had problems with discrimination. There are others who have had tough lives because of prejudice from others … or because of their own prejudices. Everybody has a story, Richie. Let them tell you. Accept what they have to say and they’ll accept you.”

“You think so?” Richie asked with a hopeful expression on his face.

“I think so,” Drew said squeezing the boy’s shoulder.

“Okay, I’ll try.”

“That’s all we ask.”

Richie got up from the bed ready to apologize to Emmett for his outburst. Maybe this family could work out after all. “Do you think Emmett is mad at me?” Richie asked as he paused at the door of the bedroom.

Drew chuckled. “If I know my man, and I do, he’s been listening outside the door ever since I came in here. Right, Emmett?” Drew called through the door.

“Just passing by, Drewsie,” Emmett replied from the other side of the door, causing Drew to laugh out loud.

Richie pulled the door open.

“Emmett, I’m sorry…”

“Richie, I’m sorry…” They both tried to talk at the same time. “Sweetie, I didn’t mean to upset you or have you think that I think that you’re a freak. I don’t think that at all. I think you are exactly what you’re supposed to be,” Emmett gushed as he pulled the slender boy into a hug worthy of Debbie.

“Um … Emmett, I need to breathe,” Richie gasped after a minute.

“Oh, sorry, sweetie,” Emmett said releasing the boy. “Am I forgiven for … everything?”

“Yeah,” Richie said with a grin. “Mr. Drew says I should just accept your friends and they’ll accept me.”

“And Mr. Drew is absolutely right. He’s the smartest man in the whole world.”

“Better not let Brian hear you say that,” Drew reminded his husband.

“I have no intention of telling his royal highness. What Brian Kinney doesn’t know won’t hurt us,” Emmett giggled.

“Good plan,” Drew said wrapping an arm around Emmett.

Richie watched the two men. He still had some misgivings about this barbecue thing, but maybe it wouldn’t be so bad … as long as he didn’t piss off Brian Kinney.



*****



“Brian, I think I should go to bed,” Joan said looking rather drained.

The whole family had sat around after dinner, talking and thinking about the logistics of a big Memorial Day bash.

“You look tired, Mom,” Brian said gently.

“I am.”

“I still think this Memorial Day extravaganza may be too much for you,” Brian said as he helped his mother to stand. She leaned heavily against him as they walked towards Bree’s bedroom. It reminded Brian that his mother was no spring chicken. He wondered if she’d ever be back to the strong woman he had always known … and disliked for so much of his life. Shaking his head at that bad memory, he looked into her face for reassurance.

“This is my first day out of the hospital,” Joan said while they walked slowly down the hall. “I’m going to get stronger every day. I’ll be back to normal before you know it.”

“Are you sure?” Brian asked with a frown. “I can cancel this Memorial Day nonsense.”

“Thank you for offering, son, but I’m actually looking forward to it.”

“You are?”

“Remember what you said about getting along with Danny … the old queen, to quote you?”

“Yes.”

“Well, I also get along quite well with the rest of the queens in your family. In fact I quite like them all.”

Brian shook his head. “Who would have thought?” He lowered his mother onto the edge of Bree’s bed.

“I know you never would have thought such a thing would happen … and not so long ago it would have been inconceivable to me.” Joan gave a self-conscious chuckle.

“I’m glad those old days are long gone,” Brian replied, handing his mother her nightie.

“Me too,” Joan said sincerely.

“Gamma Joan,” Bree’s voice called from the other side of the bedroom door. “Can I come in?”

“Of course, sweetheart,” Joan said.

“You okay, Gamma?” Bree asked hugging her grey bunny to her chest.

“I’m fine, just tired,” Joan said with a smile.

“Take my bunny to sleep with you, Gamma. He’ll make you feel better.”

“Are you sure you don’t need him?”

“Nope, I’m fine too.” Bree grinned at her grandmother.

“Even sleeping in Gus’ room.”

“I like Gus’ room. He’ll be home soon.”

“And you can’t wait to see him, can you?”

“Nope, I love Gus.”

“I know you do,” Joan said gently.

“I love you too, Gamma. Get better real soon.”

“I’ll do my best.”

“Take bunny, Gamma.”

“Thank you, dear. I’m sure he’ll help me sleep,” Joan said accepting the fluffy bunny from Bree. “Have you got everything you need in Gus’ room?”

“Yep, me and Daddy moved all my stuff over there.”

“You are all so thoughtful. Thank you,” Joan said sincerely.

“Okay, Squirt, out!” Brian ordered. “Your grandma is tired. She wants to go to sleep.”

“Yes, Dada,” Bree said with a mock salute so reminiscent of Brian that Joan laughed out loud.

“She is so your daughter,” Joan said.

“I know. Scary, isn’t it?”

“Not scary at all. It’s lovely actually,” Joan said softly. Brian smiled at his mother.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 13






“Brian,” Joan began just before her son left the bedroom.

“Yes?”

“I wasn’t sure if I should have mentioned it at dinner but I couldn’t help notice that Bree lost a tooth.”

“Yes, she has and I’m kind of glad that you didn’t mention it.”

“Oh? Why?”

Brian sat at the edge of the bed before answering. “There was a little drama associated with the loss of the tooth, but now that you’re here I believe it’s all been forgotten. Nothing serious, just an altercation with a baseball. Patrick had a run in with the same ball. That night the two of them were wearing ice packs for a while. But they got over it.”

“Children often do.”

“Go to sleep, Mom. I’ll see you in the morning. I’ll bring in a breakfast tray.”

“I’d rather sit at the table,” Joan said stubbornly.

“Let’s see how you feel in the morning, okay?” Brian offered as a bit of a compromise.

“All right. Good night, Brian.”

“Sleep well, Mom. Call us if you need anything,” Brian said as he turned off the light.

“I will,” Joan said with a yawn, closing her eyes. Brian left the room, shutting the door behind him.



*****



“So have you decided where you’re going to sleep tonight?” Brian asked Claire. He wasn’t in any mood for her complaints.

“Why do you always have to be argumentative?”

“I’m not being argumentative. I’ve had a bitch of a week and I want to go to bed with my partner.”

“Who’s stopping you?”

“You! Now, choose a bed and plant your ass in it so I can go to bed.”

“It’s too early for me to go to sleep. I usually watch TV at this time. I’m surprised you want to go to sleep so early.”

“Who said I was going to sleep,” Brian said with a smirk.

“TMI.”

“You’re the one who started it. Claire, I don’t want to argue. Joan’s gone to bed. The guys are on their side of the cottage. Bree’s with Patrick for a while then she’ll go to bed in Gus’ room. You’re welcome to the brass bed in the porch or the futon upstairs. I know for a fact that the futon is very comfortable but the brass bed has magical powers if you can believe half the family. If you keep the screens fully expanded you’ll have complete privacy.”

“All right, you convinced me. Can I watch some TV for a while?”

“Sure. There’s a set in the living room.”

“Thanks.”

“Yeah.”

“Bri?” Claire said as her brother was walking away.

“What?”

“She’ll be okay, right?” Claire asked trying to hold in her tears. Brian took his sister into his arms.

“Yeah, I think so,” he said as he gave her a hug. “She has to be,” he whispered.



*****



“Emmett?”

“What is it, honey?”

“Thank you,” Richie said sincerely.

“For what?”

“For wanting me,” Richie said softly.

“Oh honey, you have no idea how long I’ve dreamed of having children. I just never thought it could happen. Thank you for taking a chance on us,” Emm said giving Richie a gentle hug. After a few minutes, Emmett informed Richie about his call to Ben.

“I spoke to Ben and he said he would be very happy to be your tutor. He said he’ll come by tomorrow morning. Maybe he can help you make sense of things.”

“I hope so. I really want you to be proud of me.”

“Sweetie, I want you to be proud of you. Speaking of pride. Have you ever gone to Pride?” Richie shook his head, no. “Would you like to?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Well, think about it. I’m planning to cater the party at the GLC, but I’d be proud to march with you.”

“You would?”

“Yes, I would. But we have plenty of time to discuss it. I think it’s time to turn in. What about you?”

“I think I’ll read for a while.”

“Okay, honey,” Emmett said as he gave Richie a pat on the back. “I need my beauty sleep. Night, honey.”

“Good night, Emmett,” Richie said with a smile. He was beginning to like it here with Emmett and Drew.



*****



“Everybody settled?” Justin asked as he came out of the bathroom rubbing his hair dry with a towel.

“Yeah, Bree is ensconced in the upper bunk in Gus’ room,” Brian said shaking his head.

“Upper bunk?”

“Yep, that’s where she wanted to be. She’s a big girl, you know.”

“I suppose that’s a direct quote from our precocious daughter.” Brian nodded. “She is growing up way too fast.”

“And she’s way too smart.”

“What are we going to do with her?”

“Pray that she doesn’t fall out of the top bunk?”

Justin laughed. “I don’t think she’ll fall out. I meant what are we going to do with her being so smart. She’s going to start asking some really difficult questions soon.”

“You mean the ones she’s been asking all this time haven’t been the difficult ones?”

“’Fraid not,” Justin chuckled. “They’re only going to get harder as time goes on.”

“Fuck!”

“It’s okay, big guy, you’ll do fine with answering Bree’s questions.”

“You should be the one answering them all,” Brian averred.

“What makes you think I know the answers any better than you do?”

“You always say the right thing to her.”

“And so do you.”

“I do?” Brian asked with a frown. “I feel like I never know what to say.”

“You’re always honest with her, Brian, and that’s the best thing you could do.”

Brian shrugged. “I hope you’re right.”

“I know I am,” Justin purred advancing towards Brian. He wrapped his arms around his husband and kissed him hard. “I love you, and you’re a great father. Never doubt that.”

“If you say so.”

“I say so, and I also say that you’re a great lover, so take me to bed.”

“Your wish is my command, my prince.”

Justin laughed as Brian threw him on the bed, ripped off his towel and proceeded to ravish him.



*****



“Gamma,” Bree whispered as she opened the door to her bedroom. There was no answer, so Bree pushed the door open and entered the room. She stared at her grandmother who was sleeping in her bed … with her grey bunny resting close by her side. “Gamma,” Bree said a little louder.

“Hm,” Joan muttered without fully waking up.

“Gamma, are you awake?”

“I am now,” Joan said opening her eyes.

“Are you okay, Gamma?” Bree asked standing beside the bed, but afraid to get too close.

“Did you come to check on me?” Bree bobbed her head in agreement. “That was nice of you,” Joan said with a smile.

“I was worried.”

“Were you? Were you maybe a little scared sleeping in a strange room?” Joan asked piecing together what had really brought Bree back to her bedroom.

“Maybe,” Bree replied, sounding a lot like Brian.

“Would you like to crawl in here with me?” Joan asked raising the edge of the sheet and quilt that covered her.

“Daddy and Dada said I shouldn’t.” Bree kept her distance from the bed. She knew she shouldn’t be in there bothering her grandmother. But she really missed her grey bunny … and she did want to make sure that Gamma Joan was okay.

“I’m kind of lonely in here too,” Joan said gently. “And your grey bunny missed you.”

“I missed him too,” Bree said with a smile. Her Gamma always knew how to make her feel better.

“So, what if you climb in here and we keep each other company?”

“Would … would that be all right?” Bree asked uncertainly. That was exactly what she’d like to do.

“I think it would be perfect,” Joan said.

“Me too,” Bree said happily as she climbed up onto the bed and slid down under the covers. “I love you, Gamma.”

“I love you too, sweetheart. Let’s go to sleep,” Joan said as she handed the grey bunny to the little girl. “You hold onto bunny so that he won’t be afraid.”

“’Kay, Gamma,” Bree replied snuggling down into the covers. “Night, night.”

“Night, sweetheart,” Joan said with a happy smile as she closed her own eyes.



*****



Claire stared up through the glass roof of the sun porch. Stars twinkled all around her and the big moon hung low in the sky. It was breathtaking. She could see why her brother loved it there so much. She wondered if he and Justin ever slept in the sun porch. It would be where she would sleep every night if she had the choice. In her tiny apartment the world seemed to close in on her. Here the world was wide and free and beautiful. With a smile on her face she closed her eyes and let peaceful sleep claim her.



*****



Beau raised his head from his mattress. The other body in the sun porch was finally settled. Everyone on both sides of the cottages seemed to be quiet. He cocked an ear to listen and be sure. When he found no noises out of the ordinary, he stood up and shook himself. He took a drink from his bowl and headed out through his doggie door to make his rounds. He looked up at the almost full moon and was tempted to bay at it, but he didn’t want to wake his humans. He shook himself before heading around the house and down the lane to check on the other buildings in his domain.



*****



“Oh fuck, Brian! Right there! Yeah!” Justin gasped as his orgasm ripped through him. He heard Brian groan as he came hard, following right behind Justin.

“That was a good one,” Brian said rolling away and then pulling Justin against him.

“Not bad for a couple of old guys,” Justin chuckled.

“Hey, speak for yourself. I refuse to get old.”

“Like you can stop it.”

“I can. My anti-aging cream works its miracle every day,” Brian declared.

“You are more handsome and a better lover than you were when I first met you,” Justin said kissing Brian’s hand as it rested across his chest holding him tight.

“Are you complaining about my prowess as a lover when we first met?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Not at all,” Justin stated. “You weren’t my lover back then. You were an excellent fuck, as you so clearly told me.”

“True,” Brian replied.

“Now, you are my lover, and a most excellent one too.”

Brian smiled and nuzzled the blond hair that rested under his chin. “I’m still amazed that you’re here after all these years. I was sure you’d bail on me in a month or two.”

“Seems to me you were the one who kicked me out a time or two.”

“Yeah, we did have our problems back then.”

“That’s putting it mildly,” Justin chuckled.

“No regrets?” Brian asked.

“Nary a one. I loved you then and I love you now … more, if that’s possible.”

“You’re going to make me weep,” Brian said with as much sarcasm as he could muster.

Justin smiled to himself. He had hit the soft spot in Brian’s heart with his words. And Brian was using sarcasm to cover the depth of his feelings. Justin sighed and closed his eyes. Life was good with Brian. Better than good, fan-tabulous.

“You going to sleep?” Brian whispered.

“Yeah, you wore me out,” Justin mumbled.

“Not bad for an old man.”

“Not bad at all.”

“I’m going to check on Bree and mother,” Brian said as he slid Justin off his chest and onto his pillow.

“’Kay,” Justin muttered quickly falling into sleep.

Brian swung his legs out of the bed and pulled on his sweatpants. He exited the bedroom and headed down the hall to Gus’ room. The door to the room stood open and Brian felt momentary panic as he realized the upper bunk was empty. So was the lower one.

“What the fuck!” he muttered, crossing the hall to Bree’s bedroom. The door was partially open there too. He pushed it open and stepped inside. In the pale light from the moon shining through Bree’s window, he could see Bree curled up on the side of the bed hugging her grey bunny. He was about to lift her from the bed when Joan’s voice stopped him.

“Leave her, Brian,” Joan said softly. “I like having her here.

“But isn’t she in your way. I want you to have a good rest. You need your sleep.”

“I’m fine,” Joan replied. “Bree was scared being in the other room. I like that she came to me for comfort … and I’ll sleep just fine with her here.”

“Are you sure?”

“Very. Good night, Brian,” Joan said firmly.

“Okay, but you better get some sleep or I will be very pissed at both of you in the morning.”

“I promise I’ll sleep,” Joan pledged.

“Okay,” Brian said leaning down to kiss Bree’s cheek, and then his mother’s. “I’m glad you’re here, mom, and that you’re going to be fine.”

“I’m happy that you want me here,” Joan replied running her hand down Brian’s cheek. “You have a wonderful family and a lovely home.”

“Good night,” Brian whispered as he left the room quietly closing the door behind him.

As he headed back to his bedroom, Brian decided he should check on Claire as well. He stepped into the sun porch as Beau came in through his doggie door. The big dog stopped and looked up at Brian. His tail gave a few swishes of acknowledgement.

“Everything okay in the lane?” Brian whispered to the dog. He walked over to Beau’s water bowl and ran some water into it from the hose that was nearby. Beau gave Brian’s hand a lick before he gulped down his water. Brian smiled and gave the dog a pat on the head. “Good boy,” he said.

Brian turned and started back into the house. He was almost across the porch when a voice said, “Brian.”

Brian grimaced and turned towards the screens around the brass bed. “Did I wake you, Claire?”

“No, when that dog drinks, he makes more noise than three humans.”

Brian chuckled. “I’ll apologize on Beau’s behalf. He usually has the sun porch all to himself.”

“I heard him go out earlier. Where does he go?”

“He has his rounds on the lane. He checks all the houses and makes sure everyone and everything is where it should be.”

“He must be a good dog.”

“He’s the best.”

“You … you have a good life here, Brian.”

“I know.”

“You’re very lucky.”

“I know.”

“I…”

“Are you okay in the brass bed … or would you prefer to go up to the office?” Brian asked wondering if Claire was having trouble sleeping.

“I’m just fine. I dozed off staring at the stars. The sky’s so clear.”

“Yes it is.”

“Thank you for inviting me to come here with mother.”

“You’re welcome, now get some sleep,” Brian ordered gently.

“I guess your rounds are over just like Beau’s,” Claire said with a yawn.

“Good night.”

“Good night, Brian.”

Brian walked back into his bedroom and slid into bed next to his sleeping partner. He moved over so that his arm rested against Justin’s. He couldn’t help but smile. He did have a great life. It was the best life he could imagine. How had he ever got so lucky? He fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 14






Joan was smiling smugly as Brian carefully escorted her out of the medical center the afternoon of her follow up appointments with her cardiologist and surgeon. She was feeling so much better and the test results proved it. Brian was having a moment.

“Oh stop it,” Joan said as Brian opened the door to Ted’s car. He had borrowed it thinking that his Jeep was too high for Joan to climb into and the Vette was too low.

“Stop what?” Brian scowled.

“You’re having a queen out just because my doctors both agree that I’m well enough to enjoy a barbecue with my family so long as I don’t lift anything heavier than a plate of food. And I have no intention of disobeying them.”

“Those doctors are too old,” Brian growled.

“No they’re not; they’re just a little older than you are. And your Dr. Nick verified the results as well.”

“He’s not my Dr. Nick, he’s Hunter’s, and he’s just a baby who spends most of his time in a research lab. What does he know about the heart? He’s not a people doctor.”

Joan snickered at her son’s stubbornness. “Brian dear, you know he rotates in the emergency room on a regular basis to make sure he stays a people doctor. And I asked that Dan Morrison be sent a copy of my reports too. I know you trust him.”

“Oh fucking hell,” Brian murmured under his breath as he drove Joan to her house. “And I suppose you’re not going to change your mind about coming home with me tonight?”

“Brian, I’ve imposed on you and your family for a whole week.”

“Mom, it’s not an imposition,” Brian said sincerely.

“I know that but I’d like to spend some time in my own home. I’ll come up with Claire on the Friday of the barbecue and stay the weekend. You can bring me home on Tuesday.”

“But you’ll be alone.”

“No, I won’t. Claire is staying tonight and Danny has promised to come over tomorrow after he closes up shop. Debbie and Emmett have already stocked my freezer with easy to reheat meals and they cleaned my house. I will be all right.”

“Mom,” Brian said as he pulled up in front of her house. “I can’t stop worrying. It’s like we just found each other and I’m afraid of losing you too soon,” Brian admitted. He opened the passenger side then held out his hand for his mother. He took her bag from the back seat then escorted her into her house.

“Brian, I promise you, at the first sign of trouble I will call the emergency squad. I’m truly feeling so much better. The surgeon said I am healing quite well.” Joan indicated the incision in her chest.

Brian acquiesced. “Are you sure I can’t get you anything?” He looked around and noted the house was spotless. The elves had polished and cleaned every surface to within an inch of its life. The freezer was full and the refrigerator stocked with just enough of the staples for a single person to consume. And nothing was in too large of a container so it was light enough for Joan to lift without straining.

“Brian, all I want to do right now is have a cup of tea then go to bed.”

“I can put the kettle on while I take you upstairs. I’ll bring a tray up for you.”

Joan heard the plea in her son’s voice. “That sounds lovely,” Joan replied knowing that was the only way that Brian would feel remotely at ease.

After Brian was satisfied that his mother was settled in, he returned to Kinnetik.

“How’s Joan doing?” Teddy asked as Brian strode through Kinnetik tossing Ted’s keys on his desk.

“She says she’s fine.”

“You don’t believe her? What did her doctors say?”

“They said she’s fine too.”

“So what’s the problem?”

“The problem is that I don’t know what the fucking problem is. I have this feeling of doom pressing on me and I don’t know what to do about it.”

“Have you gone for a check up lately? A feeling of doom is a symptom of having a heart attack.”

“Thank you, Dr. McCoy, and yes, I went for a check up. I’m as healthy as a horse. You can’t get rid of me that easily.”

“Damn, I mean good. Then I say stop worrying and concentrate on other matters.”

“Such as?”

“Such as the barbecue that Emm’s planning at Edna’s Treasures. And have you seen the latest figures on Lethal Bikes? Every dyke at Pride will be riding one. I don’t understand the attraction.”

“It’s all that vibrating; it turns them on,” Brian snarked then barked out a laugh at the look of distaste on Ted’s face.

“Thank you for that imagery. And speaking of imagery, have you met Emmett’s protégé? I hear he’s something special.”

“Nothing that special, just a junior drag queen in the making. He’ll fit in fine with the family. I’m more concerned about Emmett and his party plans. He nearly gave himself a stroke with Bree’s party. He wanted it perfect for his little princess. Can you imagine the fuss he’s going to make for Richie? I’m not sure Edna’s Treasures will survive.”

“It will, Bri. It’s survived blizzards, torrential rain, a wedding, a birth and a christening. Not to mention the hundreds of other parties. It will survive Memorial Day with Emmett’s new son.”

Brian nodded then he and Ted got back to work.



*****



“Emmett, the barbecue is a week away, can I help with anything?” Richie was nervous about meeting the members of his new extended family. He wasn’t sure what was expected of him.

“There’s nothing for us to do, really, not at this point. I’ll probably start baking on Thursday. We’ll drive to our cottage Friday afternoon when you come home from school. Speaking of school, is Ben helpful? He told me how bright you are and he really expects you to do well and catch up quickly. But he also suggested that you not push yourself. You’ll get back into the swing of things in no time. And he also said that it’s important for you to balance school with family and outside activities. Do you like music or art?”

“A little, but I think I’m more into fashion designing. I like to design my own clothes. I kinda doodle a lot.”

“Honey, I know what you mean. Well, PIFA has a degree in fashion design. If you study hard maybe you’ll qualify, but for now don’t stop doodling. Would you like to help me with dinner? Then later we can go over your homework and the menu for the barbecue.”

“I thought a barbecue was just a lot of hot dogs and hamburgers?”

“Not the way we do it!” Emmett and Richie laughed then got down to making dinner.



*****



“Dada, is Gamma Joan okay?” Bree asked as she ran out of the house. Her ability to know when her father arrived home had only grown over the years. Before Brian could even get out of the Corvette, she had accosted him.

“She’s fine, Squirt. She’s at her house and doing AOK.” Brian kept his voice cheerful not wanting to worry his daughter, even though he was still somewhat worried about Joan himself. He had stayed at his mother’s until Claire had arrived. He didn’t want Joan to be alone in case something might happen.

“I’m sure she’s all right, Brian,” Justin said gently as he came up to his husband and gave him a hug. “She was so much stronger when she left today than when she first came here after the operation.”

“I know, but…”

“No buts, Dada,” Bree stated using her father’s tone. “Gamma Joan is good. You said so.”

“Yes, Squirt, Gamma Joan is good,” Brian agreed. “Out of the mouths of babes,” he whispered to Justin.

“Sometimes they know best,” Justin whispered back.

“I thought that was Father Knows Best,” Brian replied referring to the ancient TV show.

“That’s so last century,” Justin chuckled.

“What’s last century mean?” Bree asked having listened to every word her fathers said.

“It means it’s old,” Justin supplied before Brian could make some snarky comment.

“Like Gamma Joan?”

“You think Grandma Joan is old?” Brian asked with a raised brow.

“She’s got grey hair.”

“Yes, she does,” Brian agreed. “Who else is old?” He waited for Bree’s response fully expecting that he’d be on the list.

“Gus is old, and Patrick and Winona,” Bree stated. “Only Ashley and Hannah and Brenda are the same as me.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked with a smirk as they walked towards the house.

“Uh huh, and I’m old compared to Taylor. He can never catch up to me,” Bree added proudly.

“You don’t say.”

Bree bobbed her head emphatically as they entered the house. Brian and Justin merely smiled. Everything was relative.



*****



“So, we’re all set for the barbecue?”

“I fucking hope so,” Brian answered.

“My dear Mr. Kinney, calm yourself,” Emmett said into the phone. “We’ve taken care of everything. All you have to do is barbecue in your inimitable fashion. Everything else is arranged and will magically appear at Edna’s Treasures at the appointed time.”

“And who is going to clean the house before the hordes descend on us?” Brian asked in his best snarky voice.

“I can send the cleaning fairies if you wish.”

“No, please don’t do that,” Brian practically begged. “After the medical bills incurred at Christmas time, I don’t think I can afford the cleaning fairies.”

Emmett laughed loudly. “Point taken. But seriously, if you want help I’ll be available.”

“Justin and I can clean, Emmett. We don’t need help,” Brian said with a sigh.

“Are you still worried about Joan?” Emmett asked as the light suddenly dawned on all of Brian’s bitching.

“She … she’s not very strong yet.”

“Then we’ll just have to make sure that we pamper her ass off and don’t let her lift a finger. Does she need a ride to Edna’s Treasures? I’ll pick her up. Can I make something so she doesn’t have to? Would you like me to…?”

“Emmett, Emmett, take a fucking breath. Joan’s coming with Claire and Danny. She doesn’t need a ride, and I specifically told her she’s not to bring anything.”

Emmett smiled to himself. His little queen out had resulted in Brian sounding more like himself. That could only be a good thing. “Okay, if you’re sure,” he added contritely.

“I’m sure. Is your new family member ready to face his extended family?”

“Is the accused ready for his execution?” Emmett responded facetiously.

Brian laughed out loud. Trust Emmett to cheer him up. “Surely he doesn’t think we’re that bad?”

“I believe he does.”

“So, is he coming?”

“Or going?” Emmett giggled remembering the famous line Brian had used on Justin their first time together. It was legendary in the gay circles of Pittsburgh.

“Or staying,” Brian added on cue.

“God, I hope he’s staying. I really like this boy. Brian, you’ll be nice to him, won’t you?”

“I’m always nice.”

“Um…” Emmett wasn’t sure how to break it to Brian that he didn’t always come across as nice. He could be rather scary actually.

“I said I’m nice. I’ll be sweet as pie.”

“That could scare him as much as your usual demeanor.”

“Honeycutt!” Brian bellowed. “Tell me what the fuck you want me to do, and I’ll fucking do it.”

“Just … be your usual self and don’t be too snarky with him.”

“What’s the kid’s name again?” Brian asked sticking his tongue in his cheek and waiting for Emmett’s reaction.

“It’s Richie, you know that, don’t you? Oh, for fuck’s sake, you are going to drive him away. He’s such a sweet boy and you’ll hurt his feelings. How could you…?”

“Emmett, I’m yanking your chain. I know what his name is. And I thought I’d get that out of my system before he arrives tomorrow.”

“Oh, pooh! You had me going there for a moment,” Emmett laughed nervously.

“You’re so easy.”

“That was my middle name in the good old Babylon days,” Emmett giggled.

“TMI, Emmett, TMI.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow then … with Richie,” Emmett added stressing the boy’s name.

“Got it, Honeycutt,” Brian replied before closing his cell phone.

“You do have a cruel streak,” Justin said giving Brian a look.

“I’m really very sweet.”

“I know that, but you are the master of covering that up to people who don’t know you.”

“You’re telling me to go easy on the kid…”

“Who’s name is…”

“Richie. Got it.”

“Good,” Justin chuckled. “I love it when you read my mind.”

“And a lovely mind it is,” Brian said holding up his coffee mug for a refill.

With a sigh Justin carried the coffeepot over to his husband.



*****



“Hey, JR, are you going to the barbecue this weekend?” Curtis said into the phone.

“Yeah, it is a family thing,” JR sighed. Sometimes you could have too much family, especially when you were a teenager. “Why do you ask?” Maybe Curtis would have a better offer, not that she could count on her mothers letting her do anything other than go to the barbecue.

“I’m going to be there,” Curtis said cheerfully.

“You are?” JR sat up straight from slouching on the couch. This was good news.

“Yeah, Mr. Emmett called my dads. Apparently his new foster kid is a little weirded out about meeting the whole family. Mr. Emmett thought that having some other kids there would make it easier, so I’m invited.”

“That’s great,” JR replied. “Having you there might actually make it bearable.”

“The barbecues aren’t so bad,” Curtis said. He had been to a couple and they were usually all right.

“That’s because you don’t have to go. You could say no if you wanted to.”

“I don’t want to say no, especially if you’re going to be there.”

JR smiled. “I like the sound of that, and yes, I will be there.”

“Great!”

JR chuckled. “You’re not very subtle, you know.”

“Who cares? I’m just happy you’ll be there.”

“I’m happy you’ll be there too,” JR admitted.

“So what do you know about this new kid … Richie, I think his name is?”

“He’s going to the Rainbow School at the GLC.”

“What’s that?”

“It’s a school for kids with problems or who don’t fit in at regular school.”

“Wow!” Curtis reacted. “What’s his problem?”

“Don’t say anything to anybody if I tell you. Promise?”

“I promise.”

“I heard my moms talking. I think he likes to dress like a girl,” JR whispered into the phone.

“Wow!” Curtis repeated. “Does he dress like that to go to school?”

“I … I don’t think so,” JR said uncertainly.

“Do you think he’ll be dressed like a girl at the barbecue?”

JR frowned. “I don’t know.”

“How … how are we supposed to be friendly with him if he dresses like a girl?” Curtis asked in bewilderment.

“Maybe we could get some fashion tips from him,” JR joked.

“Speak for yourself. I don’t know how I’m supposed to behave around someone like that.”

“You’re not supposed to know he does it,” JR reminded him.

“Oh.”

“Just act natural,” JR counseled.

“While he’s acting weird.”

“He could come dressed like any other boy. Maybe he’ll be normal … sort of.”

“Yeah, I bet he’s going to be really normal,” Curtis said sarcastically. “Maybe I should say I don’t want to go.”

“I’ll be there. We can spend some time together.”

“You better be.”

JR chuckled. “I’m kind of looking forward to it, as long as you’re there.”

“Me too.”

“That’s good.”

“So I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“You can count on that … and we’ll scope out this Richie kid … together.”

“Definitely,” JR replied thinking about how much she would enjoy spending the day with Curtis.


Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 15






“Over here, Richie!” Emmett shouted from the window of the Hummer. School was out for the 3-day Memorial Day weekend. The plan was to drive straight to their cottage. Emmett had instructed Richie to pack his overnight bag before going to school. Richie smiled as Emmett’s arm waved enthusiastically from the window. He rolled his eyes as if anyone could miss the big black Hummer.

“Emm, rein it in, babe. Let’s not start this weekend by embarrassing the boy too much. He’ll get plenty of that from the family,” Drew wisely counseled.

Emmett thought about it for a second and agreed. “I’ll try but I’m just so excited.”
“I know that, babe, but remember this is about Richie not about you. Give the boy a chance; he’s in for a bit of a shock.” Emmett nodded as Richie opened the door, got in and made himself comfortable.

“All set back there?” Drew asked as he looked into the rearview mirror with a smile.

“Yes sir, Mr. Drew,” Richie said with a grin.

Putting the truck in drive, Drew said, “Then let’s get this show on the road.”

They were about twenty minutes away from the lane when Richie finally spoke up.

“Is it much longer?”

“We’re almost there,” Drew said reassuring the nervous young man. “There’s a general store up ahead, we’re going to stop to pick up a few things for the cottage. You can get out and stretch your legs,” Drew suggested.

“Didn’t your parents ever take you on a car ride?” Emmett gently queried.

“Yes, we went on some trips and stuff but it seems a long time ago,” Richie said sadly.

“We come up here on the off season and for most holidays. We try to spend the summer here too,” Drew said. “We commute back to the city when we have to; Brian commutes as well.”

“I don’t think Mr. Brian likes me much. He didn’t look too happy to meet me.”

“Brian always looks like that,” Drew said.

“Except when he’s with the princess,” Emmett qualified Drew’s statement.

“Very true. Besides, even though Brian thinks he’s in charge, he really isn’t.”

“Honey, Brian has never thought he was in charge of our family. We did that to him.”

“I never understood that,” Drew said as they pulled into the small graveled parking lot in front of the General Store.

“Brian has always been our ‘go to’ man. Anytime any one of us had a problem we’d go to him; we still do. He just knows how to get things done. I think he had a lot to do with sending Richie to us. Judge Schultz did ask for his input.”

“I’m sure he had no trouble giving it,” Drew grumbled. Drew had a great respect for Brian, but sometimes he thought the man was irritating and arrogant. However, Drew could not deny the man knew how to get things done, and he was one hell of a sexy man.

Emmett saw the wheels turning in Drew’s head. “I knew you’d see it my way,” Emmett said knowingly with a toothy smile. “I love you.” Emmett leaned in over the bread display to whisper to Drew. Drew smiled handsomely.

“Do you see anything special?” Emmett asked Richie as they brought their baskets to the main counter. “It’s all right, honey, just ask,” Emmett encouraged the young man to speak up.

“Would it be okay if we got some ice cream?” Richie ventured.

“Of course!” Emmett replied as he threw his arms around his foster son. “What would a holiday weekend be without ice cream? You just go and pick out your favorite; Drew and I like just about anything.” Emmett pointed to the freezer unit that lined one end of a wall. Within a few more minutes they had paid for their goods and were back on the road.



*****



“Is this it?” Richie asked as they pulled up to the gate. Drew entered a passcode which triggered the mechanism to open the gate.

“We’re here!” Emmett confirmed. “We call our lane Edna’s Treasures Lane but that’s not official, we have a route number.”

“That’s an unusual name for a street.”

“We’re unusual people,” Emmett joked as they pulled up in front of the quaint cottage with the white picket fence. Emmett contentedly sighed as he opened the Hummer door and drank in a good long look at his dream cottage.

“Actually, Justin named their cottages to honor a good friend named Edna. The name kinda stuck,” Emm said when he collected his thoughts. The three men began the process of unloading the truck of their belongings and all the goodies that Emmett and Richie had prepared for the big barbecue.

“Cottages?”

“You’ll see,” Emmett cryptically replied.

“Someone’s been here,” Richie said as he spied a large vase sitting on the kitchen island. The vase held a huge colorful assortment of fresh cut flowers.

“The sweet man,” Emmett murmured as he fingered a delicate petal and inhaled the aroma of spring flowers.

“Who?” Richie asked.

“Brian,” Emmett and Drew said together. Drew looked around noticing fresh logs in the fireplace and that the cottage had been cleaned and aired.

“He’s been a busy boy,” Drew admitted as he drew his hand over a table. There wasn’t any dust.

“Yes, he has,” Emmett agreed. “He and his family are in permanent residence on the lane. So they have our key and Molly’s, just in case. Not that we ever have to lock the doors. No one comes here except for family.”

“Not true,” Drew squawked. “There was that time when Justin was building his henge,” he reminded his spouse.

“Well, not since the gate was put in. And there is Beau.”

“Beau?”

“Beau’s a dog. Oh dear, you aren’t afraid of dogs, are you? He is rather large.” Before Richie could answer, the subject of their conversation bounded into their yard then lifted himself up to the window to look in.

“Wow, he’s huge!” Richie exclaimed, jumping back, thinking it was a good thing that he was inside and Beau was out.

“Yes he is, but he’s a good ole boy,” Drew said as he opened the window to give Beau a scratch behind his ears. “He patrols the lane and keeps us safe. You never have to worry when Beau’s on patrol. Do ya, boy? Do you want to meet him?” Drew asked Richie whose eyes were wide open looking at the wolf-like dog. He nodded pensively but was sure that Drew would never put him danger. “Good man,” Drew said encouragingly as he opened the side door to let Beau in.

“Stand still so he can get a good sniff. That’s it,” Drew smiled. “Now, show him your open palm.”

Richie did as he was told while Emmett proudly looked on. Emmett was a little apprehensive, for several reasons, including thinking that Drew and Richie wouldn’t hit it off, however Drew proved that he was very much father material. Beau gave Richie’s hand a little slurp as he swooshed his tail back and forth.

“He likes you, don’t ya boy?”

Beau wagged his tail faster and he barked in affirmation. Beau gave Richie’s hand one more lick before he bounded back out the door. The large dog made a loop around the property then ran up the lane to finish his rounds.

“Wow,” was all that Richie could say.

“I agree,” Emmett said. “Can I show you your room?” Emmett asked as he led Richie through the main part of the cottage giving Richie a tour then walking toward the room that would now be his.



*****



“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian answered as Bree climbed the spiral staircase to the office. Brian was looking over several proposals before officially declaring an end to his work week and the beginning of the holiday.

Bree walked over to Brian’s desk then climbed up into his lap. “What are you doing?” she asked.

“Looking over some proposals and new campaigns.”

“Oh but, Dada, it’s a holiday,” Bree said very seriously. “No more working,” she said as she tugged on Brian’s shirt.

“Okay, Squirt, I get the hint,” Brian smiled. Bree was very insistent. “I was just about to shut it down. We have to start dinner soon.”

“Auntie Emm and Unca Drew are here.”

“Here?” Brian pointed toward the sun porch.

“No, Dada, at their house. Can they come over for dinner?” Bree asked looking up at her father’s eyes with her big bright violet blue ones.

“Let’s call them. They have their new foster son with them. They may want to spend the evening alone.”

“Okay, Dada,” Bree said as Brian dialed then handed her the phone.

“Hellooo.”

“Hi, Auntie Emm, this is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said rather formally.

Brian covered his mouth pretending to cough, hiding his laughter.

“Good evening, Miss Taylor, and how are you this fine evening?” Emmett replied just as formally.

“I’m fine. Dada said I should call to see if you want to have dinner with us.”

“That’s so sweet of you to ask. Let me check with the boys. Please hold the line, Miss Bree.”

“Okay, Auntie Emm,” Bree said as she patiently waited.

“We would be happy to join your family for dinner, princess. What shall we bring?”

“I don’t know,” Bree said as she wrinkled her nose. “Dada’s here, you can ask him,” Bree said as she handed the phone to her father.

“Hello, Honeycutt,” Brian said curtly.

“I’m going to ignore that because I’m in too much of a good mood today. What would you like us to bring?”

“Just yourselves. Justin’s been cooking up a storm. My sister is on her way with Joan. We’ll eat when they get here. Why don’t you boys stroll up the lane? Bree is anxious to meet Richie.”

“Can I at least bring some hors d’oeuvres?”

“That would be very nice.”

“See you soon. Tootles!” Emmett sang as he hung up.

“Tootles,” Brian repeated to a dial tone, rolling his eyes as he hung up. “They’ll be here soon. Go let your Daddy know the boys are on their way while I wash up.”

“Okay, Dada,” Bree said cheerfully as she slid off Brian’s lap to go downstairs. Brian tidied his desk, had a quick look around the office to make sure it was presentable then went to join his family.



*****



“Mother, why do you insist on going to the cottage tonight?” Claire and Joan were more than halfway to Edna’s Treasures when Claire continued her on-going rant.

“If you were that unhappy with the idea, I could have driven up with Emmett. He called earlier to offer. Danny would have driven me, but I insisted he take care of the store. His other assistants will give him a break tomorrow so he can join the fun.”

“Emmett’s not family,” Claire grumbled.

‘More than you are sometimes,’ Joan thought, but said instead, “He’s a good friend of the family. He, Drew and their new foster son are probably already there,” Joan commented with a hint of impatience.

“I’m sorry, Mother,” Claire said noting the tone of her mother’s voice. “I just don’t get you at times,” Claire ventured after a while.

“What don’t you get?”

“Your sudden change in attitude. About Brian, I mean, and homosexuality in general.”

“I don’t think it was all that sudden, do you? Bree is seven, I think my attitude evolved over that time. I like to think I’ve finally seen the light and truly understand what our Lord has taught us.”

“I don’t understand.”

“The golden rule, Claire, do unto others. How can I expect respect from others if I’m not willing to show others that same respect? I think I’ve finally learned my lessons.”

“But men with men,” Claire whispered. “I love Brian but I don’t like to think about that.”

“Then don’t. I certainly don’t and it’s none of my business. What is my business is that they demonstrate loving hearts and tolerance. And you cannot deny how much Brian and Justin love each other, their children and our cwazy wittle family,” Joan said borrowing her son’s words.

“No, I can’t deny that at all. I also can’t deny the great debt I owe them for saving me and my boys. We wouldn’t have the loving relationship we all enjoy now if it wasn’t for the time we spent up at the Farm. The three of us learned valuable lessons there.”

“Steve and Claire are good people, loving and religious in their own way. I learned valuable lessons from them and from Jennifer.”

“Jennifer?”

“Yes, Jennifer. She pointed out that while I may have wished that Brian was straight, I still have a living breathing son. She almost lost hers to hatred and ignorance. We must appreciate the gifts we are given.”

“Even me?”

“Even you, Claire. You are my first born. I love you very much and I’m very proud of you. I apologize if I don’t say it often enough.”

“I’m sorry too. You’re still recovering from surgery and I’m complaining.”

Joan patted her leg. They drove on to the cottages quietly and at peace.

“Where are we going to sleep this weekend?” Claire whined as she slowly drove up the lane. “All those people traipsing in and out. I don’t care how lovely the brass bed is. That Emmett person barges in whenever he damn well pleases. It’s like he owns the place.”

Joan laughed. “True. But don’t worry, Rachel has offered to put us up for the weekend. She understands how busy the cottage can get. She has plenty of rooms to spare.”

“Thank goodness someone has some sense in that family.”

As Claire parked, a strawberry blond spitfire ran out of the front door of the cottage followed by a red-headed tornado.

“Gamma Joan!” Bree screeched happily, as she slowed so she could gently hug her grandmother. She remembered her fathers’ cautions. Patrick greeted the ladies properly then offered to help with their bags as any true gentleman would. The ladies smiled fondly at the young man with the red hair of his Poppa Bobby but with the face of John, Brian and Gus, and their hazel eyes.

“Thank you, Patrick. We’ll be staying at your aunt’s house,” Joan said.

“I know. I’ll bring these to her house then come back. They’ll be joining us for dinner too. Emmett’s here,” Patrick said with a glint in his eyes and a smile.

Joan chuckled. “Forewarned is forearmed. Thank you, Patrick,” she said as she ruffled his bright red hair before they walked toward the front door.

“See you in a few minutes,” Patrick called over his shoulder as he hustled their bags toward Rachel and George’s house at the top of the lane.



*****



“I see the gang’s all here,” Brian grumbled from the kitchen as his mother and sister stepped through the door. “Why is it when we have a party, we always have a party before the party,” he griped as he wiped his hands on a towel.

“Oh pooh, you always have to find something to complain about, don’t you?” Emmett said as he came in to bring the dishes out to the sun porch. “I truly don’t think you’re happy unless you have something to complain about.”

“I’m happy, see?” Brian made a fake happy face at Emmett then continued to scowl at the thought of the invasion that would soon take place.

“You know you love us, you old grump,” Emmett said as Brian handed him a heavy platter of roasted chicken.

“I’m not old!” Brian called out after him getting Emmett’s peals of laughter in return and chuckles from his mother. “Hi, Mom!” Brian said, greeting his mother and Claire with kisses to their cheeks. “How was the drive?”

“Uneventful,” Joan said.

“Long,” Claire mumbled then laughed at herself. Apparently complaining was a Kinney trait. Brian and Joan laughed as well.

“Go on into the porch when you’re ready; it’s dinnertime,” Brian said as he handed napkins to Bree. Rachel, George and Patrick came through the front door. “Go meet our newest member of our cwazy wittle family,” Brian said with an arch of his brow.

Claire just shook her head as she and Joan walked toward the porch.



*****



Dinner was quiet and unassuming much to Brian’s satisfaction and relief. Emmett made the introductions and Bree took delight in her latest ‘cousin.’ She insisted that Richie sit next to her which he did. He in turn helped Bree with her plate, cutting her chicken when she asked for help. Everyone appeared to accept the shy, ‘delicate’ young man and didn’t bombard him with questions much to Emmett’s relief. The family knew they’d get the scoop on Richie eventually. For now the family was happily engaged in dinnertime small talk.

“Dada, when is Gus coming?” Bree asked with big soulful eyes. She missed her big brother.

“He’ll be here tomorrow with his moms and JR. He’s spending some time with them before he spends the month of July with us,” Brian said with a smirk knowing his daughter was unaware of the plans.

“A whole month?” Bree’s smile lit up the whole porch.

“Yup,” Brian confirmed.

“Yay!” Bree screeched worthy of Debbie.

“What are my grandson’s plans for the summer?” Joan asked.

“He’s been working very hard his first year in college and he got all A’s,” Justin announced proudly. “Brian insisted that he spend his first month off with his mothers and JR but he’ll be visiting here often. His mothers are planning to spend time at their cottage.”

“As well they should,” Emmett agreed. “Makes no sense to have a beautiful getaway home when you don’t get away to enjoy it.”

“Right,” Justin said. “Then Gus’ll be here for July so he can intern at Kinnetik Part Deux in Harrisburg. I think Ray is planning a visit too.”

“Will Ray be here for PRIDE? This will be Richie’s first PRIDE, if he wants to participate,” Emmett said, not making any assumptions.

Brian smirked.

“Gus and Ray were arguing about that,” Justin said. “Gus wanted Ray to come here for PRIDE, while Ray wanted Gus to go to New York for their PRIDE. That is until Brian pointed out that each city celebrates PRIDE on different weekends. They worked it out.”

Brian subtly snorted.

“Anyway,” Justin continued as he shot his spouse a glare, “then Gus will intern at Kinnetik N’rgy for the month of August.”

“He will be busy,” Joan commented.

“Yes, he will,” Brian added. “The best way to keep a teenager out of trouble is to keep him busy. Scott will be in charge of Gus’ internship at Part Deux and I’m sure Stacey will have plenty of work for him in New York. I’m sure Simon and Ken will keep Gus on the straight and narrow, so to speak,” Brian said.

“Do you have plans for the summer, Patrick?” Rachel asked.

“Baseball camp?” Patrick said expectantly looking at his dads for confirmation. Seeing his dads nod their heads, Patrick smiled his own sunny smile.

“Gonna break some hearts soon,” John mumbled to himself.

“What’s that?” Brian snarked with a chuckle.

John coughed into his napkin. “Nothing. Do you have any plans for the summer, princess?” John asked Briana.

“I want to play soccer. Dada, school is going to have soccer school this summer, can I go?”

Brian looked at Justin before saying the wrong thing. Justin nodded.

“Yes, Squirt, you may go to soccer school,” Brian said using Bree’s expression. “But what about your piano? Don’t you want to practice your music?”

“I can do that too. Can I play my piano now?” Bree wanted to perform for her family since she had a ready made audience.

“I think we can wait until after dinner, Squirt.”

“Okay, Dada!”

“And finish your vegetables,” Brian said as any dutiful father would.

“Okay, Dada,” Bree replied as she picked up a string bean with her fork then popped it in her mouth. Joan and Emmett smiled shaking their heads.

“What?” Brian growled, snarling at them both.

“Nothing!” they said in unison as they buried their heads in their plates with a smirk.

Dinner continued with no doubts about who was in charge.

After dinner, as promised, Bree entertained the family with her musical talents as several parental figures looked on with pride. She was a little dismayed that no one else in the family exhibited any hidden talents. Justin’s talents as he once pointed out leaned more toward the interpretation of music via dance rather than performing. He wisely kept his talents to himself for the evening.

Drew surprised everyone when he volunteered to give the tiny pink instrument a go. His thick quarterback fingers awkwardly tripped over the tiny keys; however, no one had trouble recognizing Beethoven’s Christmas music, the Fleur de Lis. The family stared at Drew as Bree jumped up and down clapping then she threw her little arms around the big man.

“That was beauuuu-ti-ful, Unca Drew!” Bree exclaimed.

“Thank you, princess,” Drew said kissing a tiny cheek. All was forgiven regarding the Christmas tree debacle.

“Yes, Unca Drew, beautiful,” Brian snarked with an arch of his brow. “Mind explaining?” The whole family was waiting for the explanation.

“My father pushed football, my mother pushed piano lessons, we compromised,” Drew said with a shrug of manly shoulders.

“Oh Drewsie!” Emmett cried with pride. A wad of tissues found its way into Emmett’s hands before he gave his man a sloppy kiss.

As the hour was approaching ten, the family agreed to call it a night. They would need a good night’s sleep to cope with the following day.

Chapter 16 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 16





“Wakey, wakey, sleepyhead,” Emmett called into Richie’s room as he gently knocked on the door and then turned the handle. The door opened soundlessly. “Time to get up.”

“Huh?” Richie reacted, his eyes popping open.

“Sorry to startle you, sweetie, but we need to get cracking.”

“What are we cracking?” Richie asked sleepily before burying his head in his pillow.

Emmett chuckled. “Eggs for breakfast, and then we need to make the hors d’oeuvres for the party this afternoon.”

“More hors d’oeuvres?” Richie groaned. “Didn’t you make enough at dinner last night?”

“That was just crackers and cheese. I’m making my blue cheese and pear puffs. They are to die for.”

“They sound gross.”

“Well,” Emmett said slowly, “they are an acquired taste, but Brian loves them.”

“And what Brian wants…”

“You learn fast, sweetie. Get up.”

“He hardly said anything to me last night,” Richie said as he sat up in bed. It didn’t look like he was going to get any more sleep.

“Everybody wants you to settle in and get to know them before they start asking you questions,” Emmett said gently.

“I can talk about stuff. I don’t just answer questions.”

“I know; you’re smart, but give the family a chance to get to know you,” Emmett pleaded. He didn’t want Richie bailing on the family already.

“That girl, Bree, she was kind of cool for a little kid.”

“You think so?” Emmett asked with a big smile.

“She told me she loves soccer. She thinks she’s pretty good and she asked me if I’d play with her today at the barbecue.”

“And are you going to?” Emmett asked.

“Sure, why not?” Richie replied with a shrug.

“Watch out for Miss Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor. She’s a soccer shark,” Emmett warned with a laugh.

“Huh?”

“She’s a very good soccer player. She may be small, but her father taught her everything he knows, and Bree is naturally gifted.”

“She is? I thought she was a piano player.”

“She’s that too, but she seems to be able to do anything she sets her mind to, and do it well,” Emmett explained.

“Wow!”

“Come on, get up. This is one very special family you are becoming part of. Help me make my pear puffs and I’ll fill you in on the rest of them.”

“Okay,” Richie agreed, shaking his head at this new group of people who were about as far from what he was familiar with as it was possible to get. He could use as much information as Emmett could provide. The people of the Edna’s Treasures family were intimidating enough, and he hadn’t even met half of the whole family yet.



*****



“How many for breakfast?” Brian asked as Justin came out of the shower. “Do I need to go coerce some hens for more eggs?”

Justin laughed. “No, it’s just us. Joan and Claire are staying over at Rachel’s where it will be quieter and Emmett’s baking this morning, so he’s staying at his cottage. Everybody else will arrive around lunchtime.”

Brian frowned. “Don’t they like it here anymore?” he asked with a frown creasing his brow.

“They like it just fine, my big smoosh. But they know they can be overwhelming, so they’re not all descending on us for the whole day.”

“But we can handle that,” Brian said.

“Yes, but with Joan still recovering and Richie not knowing most of them, they’re going to take it a little easy.”

“I didn’t know that was possible,” Brian snorted.

“Well, I guess we’re about to find out if it is. Go make our immediate family a fabulous breakfast,” Justin ordered pushing Brian out the bedroom door.

“Hardly seems fucking worthwhile” Brian griped. What kind of new world order was this?



*****



“Dada?”

“Yes, Squirt,” Brian replied as he whipped his eggs for the giant omelet he had decided to make.

“Do you like Richie?” Bree asked as she counted out the knives and forks they would need for breakfast.

“I guess so. I don’t really know him yet.”

“You should talk to him more. I think he’s lonely and scared.”

“You do?”

“Yep.”

“What makes you think that?” Brian asked stirring the vegetables he was sautéing for the omelet.

“I asked him to play soccer today and he said he would.”

“Why does that make him scared and lonely?” Brian asked puzzled.

“He was happy I asked him, but I think he doesn’t really want to play with a little girl like me. He’d rather talk to the big men.”

“Like Auntie Emm?” Brian asked with a snort.

“No, Dada, like you and Daddy and Unca John.”

“The big men?” Brian asked with a chuckle. Bree nodded in agreement. “Is that right?” Brian asked before filing that information away for later in the day when he just might take Richie on a little walk down to the stream.

Bree bobbed her head. “Why don’t we ever get girls to join the family?” she asked next.

Brian shook his head. He’d been afraid that question might come up. He remembered how much Bree had wanted Taylor to be a girl. “We don’t get to decide who comes into the family,” Brian said gently. “They just arrive.”

“Oh? That’s not fair.”

“Life’s not always fair.”

“But it should be,” Bree affirmed.

“Yes, in an ideal world we could pick and choose and have everything just the way we want it.”

“Then I’m going to make an ideal world,” Bree stated picking up the napkins and cutlery she had counted out.

“I just bet you will,” Brian chuckled.

“I will, Dada,” Bree said before she headed to the sun porch with her items for breakfast.

“And I certainly won’t tell you you can’t,” Brian said with a gentle smile as he watched her leave the kitchen.



*****



“So when does the invasion officially begin?” Brian asked out loud to whomever would care to answer. He was in the sun porch making some last minute adjustments to the table arrangements. The long table was up against the far glass wall of the porch; it would serve as the main buffet table for the day. The smaller wicker tables were pulled toward the center of the room with their chairs around them just in case anyone wanted to get out of the heat of the day and sit inside. The garden looked like an outdoor café with small groupings of round tables, chairs and umbrellas. More tables and chairs dotted the field close by. A loud rumbling noise signaled the arrival of John and Gordon’s men. Several large burly men climbed out of the trucks to unload three more grills and two full sized family, and his and hers port-a-potties, complete with baby changing stations.

“Hello, sweetheart,” Brian couldn’t help saying as one tall, dark skinned young man walked past the porch with a large bag of charcoal balanced on his shoulder. The man gave Brian a coy smile.

“See, they don’t look that bad,” John commented referring to the bathrooms not the men, as Brian watched the men set up the portable johns. “My guys will handle the potty maintenance for the day so you can concentrate all your efforts on grilling huge hunks of meat and flirting with huge hunks of hunks,” John snickered.

“Oh har har, I don’t flirt, that’s Justin’s job,” Brian snarked.

“I don’t flirt!” came a shout from somewhere in the vicinity of the yard.

“Sure, you don’t,” Brian retorted out loud. “You just smile and it’s all over but the shouting,” he teased.

“Speaking about shouting,” John began as they heard a long wail of a screech.

“Guuuusssss!”

“I guess Sonny Boy has arrived,” Brian said with a smirk on his face. John had a similar look, coming to the same conclusion. The brothers walked out of the sun porch toward the lane to greet Gus and his mothers. They got there in time to see Bree take a running leap right into her brother’s waiting arms. As the Bree and Gus love-fest continued, Brian and John welcomed the girls, JR and Ray.

“Ray! When did you get in?” Brian asked as he gave a hug and kiss to JR, getting hugs and kisses in return. He gave Lindsay a peck to her mouth getting the usual glare from Mel. He just stuck his tongue out at her. Ray rolled his eyes at the antics of his boyfriend’s parents.

“I took the bus in last night. Gus’ moms are letting me stay with him,” Ray explained as his face turned a lovely shade of pink.

Brian nodded knowingly then pointed a finger at him. “Play safe,” was all he said to Ray.

“Yes, sir, we are,” Ray replied seriously.

“Good boy. Speaking about boys, hey Sonny Boy, don’t I rate a hello?” Brian called to his son who still had a little blond octopus attached to his neck.

“Sorry, Pop, I have my hands full for the moment,” Gus said with a shrug and a smile. When they drew in JR for a three-way hug, Brian realized he wouldn’t be having a conversation with his son anytime soon.

“Come along, Raymond, we can use another pair of hands around here,” Brian said as he led the boy toward the yard. “They’ll be busy for a while,” Brian said as he pointed over his shoulder at the kids. Raymond nodded as he prepared to be put to work.

“Oh my!” Emmett exclaimed as he, Drew and Richie slowly drove past the construction trucks. Emmett was practically salivating at the sight of all the men.

“Down boy,” Drew admonished as he parked the Hummer as close to Brian’s kitchen door as he could. They had a ton of food to unload.

“Honey, I may be married but I’m not dead. Besides, you know I only like to look, I’d never touch. And they have nothing over you; you’re my big hunky he-man.” Emmett leaned in close to give Drew a deep kiss. A loud cough put an end to the kiss.

“Gag. Drew, what you see in this nelly assed fairy, I’ll never know,” Brian grumbled at Drew and Emmett as he reached past them for a tray of goodies. “Richard, my lad, you’ll never catch me in a PDA,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Liar, liar, pants on fire,” Emmett was heard to say as he released Drew’s lips. They all pitched in to divest the truck of all the edibles.

“Hey Pop!” Gus greeted his father as he came into the kitchen reaching for one of Emmett’s treats then popping it into his mouth.

“She let you up for air I see,” Brian said as he smacked Gus’ hand when he reached for another goodie. “Leave some for the rest of us.”

“I’m a growing boy, Pop.”

“And you’ll keep growing in the wrong direction if you’re not careful,” Brian said as he patted Gus’ flat tummy.

“Leave him alone, asshole, he’s fine,” Mel growled as she took several large colorful plastic bowls out of a cupboard to fill with chips and pretzels. “This is a party; he can have whatever he wants.”

“Bitch,” Brian grumbled as he grabbed one of the filled bowls to take out with him. Richie took another bowl after he politely said hello to Melanie then followed Brian out.

Another rumble brought the family out front in time to see Carl maneuvering the huge mobile home up the lane. When it was parked, out popped Michael and Ben who helped Debbie out of the RV. Hunter and Nick came out of the side door. Pulling up closely behind were Allen and Ted with Lacy and Katerina.

“Hail, hail, the gangs all here!” Emmett singsonged as he clapped then sprinted over to greet his friends. Richie smiled as he saw so many people that he recognized. Maybe he’d have a good time at this party after all.

As more cars drove up the lane, the garden and field began filling up with friends and family. It was too early to start grilling so Brian decided it was a good time to take Richie for a walk down to the stream.

“Richard, has anyone given you the tour of the grounds yet?”

“No, sir.”

“Then it would be my pleasure to play tour guide,” Brian said sincerely as he pointed toward the path that led to the stream. The Spring flowers that lined the path were in full bloom. It looked almost magical to Richie’s impressionable young eyes.

“Irises, in case you’re curious. They’re perennials and they spread on their own so they’re low maintenance,” Brian explained as Richie bent to touch a deep purple petal. They continued on down the path to the stream.

“This is beautiful!” Richie exclaimed as he took in the sight of the stream and the big rock that Brian fondly referred to as the thinking rock. Many decisions had been made over the years in its shadow or on top of it.

“Yes, it is. Our own little piece of heaven, that’s if heaven exists. If it does, I’d like to think it looks like this,” Brian said as he made himself comfortable on the large boulder.

“Richard, don’t let our cwazy wittle family overwhelm you. We get loud, up in your face and nosy, but we mean well. We’ve all overcome some injustice or life altering incident and we’ve become stronger for it.”

“All of you?”

“Yes, I think most have a story to tell. Mine is similar to yours.”

“You like to dress up in girls’ clothes?” Richie blurted out with eyes open wide with wonder.

Brian barked out a laugh. “No, Emmett is the cross-dresser in the family, although Michael did it once so he could march with Debbie at the PRIDE parade, and then of course Mel, um, forget I mentioned her. I mean that my parents never approved of me. I left home as soon as I was able to make it on my own. Debbie and Michael became my family.”

“But what about Ms. Joan? You get along so well.”

“That’s a recent development and largely in part to Bree. She can charm just about anyone including my mother. We’ve finally found peace with each other. My father died without ever really accepting me.”

“Mr. Justin?”

“He was attacked when he was in high school and badly hurt. We weren’t sure if he’d survive or if he’d be brain damaged if he did. He proved them all wrong. But his father threw him out because he refused to give up his lifestyle which included me.”

“Professor Ben?” Brian debated answering but he knew Ben would be the first to speak up with the truth.

“He’s HIV+.” Richie gasped. “He’s fine. He lives clean and smart; he’ll be with us for a long, long time. So you see, many of us have something in our history to either be ashamed of or to be taken as a challenge and say fuck ‘em. We’re here, we’re queer and we aren’t going anywhere.”

Brian patted the rock indicating that Richie should sit.

“May I ask you a question?” Brian asked politely. Richie nodded. “Are you gay?” Brian asked not beating around the proverbial bush.

“I’m not sure. I like boys but sometimes...I met Miss Katerina; she’s real pretty.”

Brian chuckled and nodded in agreement, “Yes, she is. Gus had a crush on her partner at one time, but don’t tell him I ratted him out.” Brian winked conspiratorially at Richie making Richie smile.

“You’re gay,” Richie said as a statement of fact not as a question.

“Yes, I like dick.”

“But Gus…”

“Lindz and I met in college and we tried to fit in by being just like all the rest of the hetero couples. She was so beautiful, still is. But we soon realized that I preferred dick and she has a thing for snatch. When she and her partner wanted to start a family, Lindz asked me for a donation. JR is a result of a donation from Mikey. She’s Mel’s child.”

“Bree?”

“Justin’s and a surrogate. Patrick is John and Rachel’s so he’s as close to Bobby’s son as he humanly can be. Patrick knows, by the way, and he’s almost your age so you can talk to him about anything. He’s a smart, loving boy, just like his dads.”

“Is he gay?”

“No, I don’t believe he is,” Brian said with a faraway look on his face. “I think when that handsome prince grows up there’ll be only one princess for him,” he said with a wistful smile. “So you see, my boy, a bisexual cross-dressing, young man will fit right in with us.”

Richie smiled brightly; he was beginning to relax and beginning to feel he might just belong in this cwazy wittle family.

“Bri?” Justin called out softly with a bright smile as he came up the path.

“Yes, Sunshine,” Brian answered as he reached out for Justin. Justin walked directly into Brian’s waiting arms. Richie smiled to himself, nope, no PDAs from Brian Kinney, he chuckled, shaking his head.

“Raph is here with Hector and Curtis. You should say hello and introduce them to Richie,” Justin said.

“Okay,” Brian said as he gave Justin a kiss. Brian hopped off the big rock, dusted himself off then barked out his orders. “Let’s go troops, we have people to meet and meat to people,” Brian commanded.

“Sir, yes, sir,” Justin and Richie said together then laughed as they followed Brian up the garden path.



*****



“Do you think he’ll be all right with the others?” Emmett asked Drew as he handed a cold brew to Justin.

Richie had been pulled into a soccer game by Bree. She had convinced the other kids to start up a game. Even Patrick agreed to play. There were several adults playing, as well as some of the kids that belonged to John’s men. However, Bree and Brian were truly the experts of the game.

“Babe, he’ll be fine,” Drew said.

“Let him go, Emm; he has to learn how to fit in,” Justin said. “Besides, Bree likes him. No one would dare say anything bad to Richie with Bree around.”

Emmett nodded. That was certainly true. “I just want him to have a good time,” Emm said with a sniffle.

“No tears, babe. This is a party and look at him, he’s having a good time,” Drew reassured his spouse. Bree was presently instructing Richie on the correct way to handle the ball. She pointed at her Dada who then began to show off by bouncing the ball off his ankles and up onto his knees.

Justin beamed proudly until Brian ran past a dozen men controlling the ball to score a goal. The goaltender just happened to be the same gentleman who had hustled the charcoal into the yard. Justin’s smile quickly turned into a scowl. Drew and Emmett laughed.

“Oh honey, he’s just having a little fun,” Emmett reassured his friend.

“Hmm, maybe a little too much fun,” Justin grumbled. “John, who’s that guy?” Justin asked his brother-in-law who was also standing on the sidelines.

“One of Hunter’s kids; he’s proving himself to be one heck of a mechanic. He’s very good with his hands.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” Justin mumbled as he plastered his best sunshine smile on his face, shoved the beer bottle at John then sprinted out to the field to retrieve his spouse. The coals were ready and the meat perfectly marinated. It was time for someone else who was good with his hands to make with the grilling.

John, Emmett and Drew laughed out loud as the Taylor smile worked its magic, again. Brian snaked his arm across Justin’s shoulders as he was led back to the yard and the grills.

Chapter 17 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 17





“Try one, sweetie, you’ll love them,” Emmett encouraged Richie.

Richie tentatively reached for one of the pear and blue cheese pastries. He had avoided tasting them while he helped Emmett make them, but now everybody was gobbling them down at the barbecue, and Emmett really wanted him to try them. Richie picked up one of the puff pastries. Closing his eyes and taking a tentative bite, he began to chew. The pastry melted in his mouth almost immediately. The sweet pear inside was soft and tender and then the blue cheese exploded on his taste buds with a tart, slightly sour taste.

Richie opened his eyes. The whole sensation was … wonderful. “Mmm,” he said, almost a moan of ecstasy. “These are great!”

“See, I knew you’d like them,” Emmett replied his face glowing with pride and love.

“But I hate blue cheese,” Richie said.

“A lot of people do, but the pear and pastry cut the strong flavor of the cheese just enough to make it a lovely contrast in the taste.”

“How … how do you know that?” Richie asked in admiration and surprise at Emmett’s knowledge and expertise.

“Years of cooking and experimenting, seeing what went together and what didn’t. Sometimes the most unexpected things go together.”

“Like them?” Richie asked pointing at Michael and Ben.

Emmett laughed out loud. “I guess you could say that. Ben’s a bookworm and Michael’s a comic book fanatic. Not your most likely pairing.”

“But they seem very happy,” Richie observed. Michael was pushing JR on the swing over at one side of the yard. Ben was standing nearby talking to his husband and JR. They were laughing at something that had just been said.

“They are happy. Just like I hope you’ll be when you get more familiar with this family.”

“I think I’m getting there,” Richie said with a smile. “Could I have another one of those things?”

Emmett’s smile spread across his face. “Of course you can. Take the tray and see if anyone else wants one. That way you can meet more people. Oh, and eat as many of them as you want along the way,” Emmett advised.

Richie grinned and headed over to the group who had arrived while he was talking to Brian down by the stream. The boy wasn’t too much older than him, so he might be a good one to get to know.

Emmett watched Richie walk over to Raph and Hector and Curtis. That was a good sign. He was approaching someone he didn’t know at all, since they hadn’t yet been introduced.

“He’s doing just fine,” Brian whispered in Emmett’s ear.

“Yeah, he is, isn’t he?” Emmett said with a smile. “What did you say to him down at the stream?”

“We just talked, nothing much.”

“Yeah, right,” Emmett scoffed. “And he comes back, tries my pear and blue cheese puffs and walks up to strangers. What did you tell him?”

“I worked my Kinney magic.”

“You’re not going to tell me, are you?”

Brian shook his head. “The barbecue food is almost ready, so get people started on the salads and stuff. The steaks and hamburgers will be at their peak in about five minutes.”

“Yes, master,” Emmett said affectionately, giving Brian a peck to his cheek. “And thank you for whatever you said to Richie, it seems to have made a difference.”

“Are you making out with another man?” Justin asked coming up to them. “What’s got into you today, Kinney?”

“I’ll show you later when everyone’s gone home.” With a waggle of his eyebrows and a peck on Justin’s cheek, Brian went back to his grill, while Justin and Emmett laughed at his antics.



*****



“So you met the new kid,” JR said to Curtis as they sat side by side in a couple of lawn chairs in the garden. It was their first chance to spend some time alone since they had got there. They were eating salad and burgers.

“Yeah,” Curtis said.

“What’s he like?”

“Haven’t you met him?”

“Just to say hello when we got here,” JR replied.

“He seems okay,” Curtis said reluctantly.

“He’s wearing boy clothes,” JR giggled.

“I noticed.”

“We really shouldn’t be mean to him,” JR said as she watched Richie sitting next to Bree at one of the tables in the garden.

“No, we should give him a chance,” Curtis said. “But he did come right over to me after we got here.”

“So?”

“Do…do you think he’s gay? I don’t want him hitting on me.”

JR laughed long and loud. “Nobody would mistake you for gay, Curtis. You don’t come across that way at all, and believe me I’ve been around enough people of the homosexual persuasion to have a good idea about that.”

“Really?” Curtis asked with a grin.

JR nodded emphatically. “Besides you like girls, don’t’ you? Or have I been wasting my time hanging around with you?” JR teased.

“Not at all,” Curtis assured her. “How do you suppose we ended up straight and are still part of this … family?”

“Just lucky I guess.”

“Yeah.”

“JR, are you almost done?” Bree asked as she marched up to her sister, dragging Richie by the hand.

“Just about. Why?” JR asked as she downed the last mouthful of her burger.

“I’m trying to teach Richie to play soccer, and he needs waaaay more practice,” Bree stated.

“I’m not very good,” Richie admitted.

“Me either,” JR said with a laugh. “Sure, I’ll play. And Curtis is pretty good. How about the girls take on the boys?” she suggested.

“Yeah!” Bree said enthusiastically.

“But…” Curtis began realizing he’d be playing with Richie.

“But…” Richie said, knowing he wouldn’t have the little fireball, Bree, on his side.

“Girls versus boys, that’s how it is,” JR said as she stood up. “Come on, sis, let’s beat the pants off them there boys.”

“Yeah, beat their pants off,” Bree agreed as she ran over to retrieve her soccer ball that was lying at the side of the lawn.



*****



“YAY!” Emmett squealed bouncing up and down and clapping his hands. Richie had just managed to put the soccer ball through the makeshift posts. He had scored a goal.

The whole family had ended up watching the little game of soccer. Gus and Ray had joined in, Gus taking Richie and Curtis’ team since he was the better player. Ray had joined Bree and JR. He didn’t seem to mind being on the girls’ team. Bree had scored two goals and Ray one. Gus had scored a goal and now Richie had too on an excellent pass from Curtis who set up the goal perfectly.

“I declare this game complete,” Brian called. “Time for a rest and something to drink.” He could see that all the kids were tired and hot from being in the sun. They had had their fun and now it was time to sit down.

“Yay! We won!” Bree yelled hugging JR and then Ray who picked her up and swung her around.

“I knew I got the best team,” Ray crowed.

The family applauded as Emmett went over to congratulate Richie on scoring a goal.

“It was a pretty good one,” Richie admitted as Emmett and Drew each gave him a hug. “Thanks to Curtis for that great pass,” he added.

“No problem. You could be pretty good at this game,” Curtis said giving Richie a pat on the back.

The boy smiled at the compliment. He knew he wasn’t anywhere near as good at soccer as Bree was, but he had enjoyed playing and it was great to score a goal. “Thanks,” Richie said.

“You did good, Richie,” Bree said giving her new friend a high five. “But we were better.”

Gus choked back a laugh. His sister was something else. “Next time we obliterate you, short stuff,” he bragged.

“I don’t think so,” Bree said crossing her arms defiantly.

“Girls rule, and you’ll just have to live with it,” JR said taking Curtis’ hand and walking towards the sun porch for a much needed drink of lemonade.

“Yeah, we’ll see,” Gus called after her. “When did that happen?” he asked Bree, looking at the two holding hands.

“JR’s gaga over Curtis,” Bree explained. “She always tells me what she did with him when we talk on the phone.”

“Is that right?” Gus asked skeptically. Bree bobbed her head and grinned. “Hey, when did you lose that tooth?”

“A week ago. I wished you were here so I could show you. I’m growing up,” Bree said proudly.

“But not too fast,” Gus replied picking up his petite sister. “I like you just the way you are.”

“I love you, Gus. I wish you were here all the time.”

“Naw,” Gus said, “you’d get tired of me if I was around all the time.”

“No I wouldn’t,” Bree told him emphatically.

“Let’s get you some lemonade.”

“Okay, and we can tell Patrick what a wuss he is for not playing soccer with us,” Bree said. “He likes baseball better than soccer. Can you believe it? He doesn’t know how great a game soccer is. I tried to show him, but…” And Bree continued her tirade about Patrick all the way to the lemonade table.



*****



“Don’t forget to leave room for dessert!” Emmett said as he sashayed up to the buffet table in the porch.

Hector and Raphael were filling up their plates with some pieces of Brian’s expertly grilled chicken. Scattered about in wonderfully colorful arrangements were dishes that held various vegetables cut in spears so they didn’t require forks. Next to the vegetables were stacks of tiny cups ready to be filled with the thick dipping dressing of one’s choice. Raph had a thing for blue cheese while Hector loved a thousand island.

“Emm, I think you guys went overboard again,” Raph commented at the table filled with food.

“Nonsense. A good host must be prepared.”

“I can safely say that you and the boys are more than prepared,” Hector reassured the man. “But I will leave room for dessert,” Hector reassured Emmett.

“May I ask your opinion?” Emmett ventured as he pretended to adjust a platter. His eyes flicked back and forth from Raph to Hector.

“Sure,” Raph replied.

“How long did it take before Curtis was at ease with you?”

“Several months,” Raph answered honestly. “He had some trust issues at first.”

“Such as?”

“Our sexual orientation, for starters,” Hector said as he popped a cherry tomato in his mouth. “Curtis is straight; his last foster home was anti-everything.”

“But he was open and honest with his misgivings and also very brave. I think the fact that his grandfather was a strong influence early in his life made all the difference. Curtis has the ability to take in all the facts first before he passes judgment. Is Richie straight?”

“No, but I don’t believe he’s entirely gay. He knows he likes boys but a pretty girl can sway him.”

“He’s how old?” Hector asked.

“Thirteen.”

“There’s no need to rush him into any declarations of orientation,” Raph said wisely. “There’s plenty of time for that.” Emmett nodded then placed a scoop of homemade potato salad on his plate. Raph chuckled as Hector gave Emm the puppy dog eyes. Emmett placed a scoop of potato salad on his plate as well.

“Dessert!” Emmett called after them as they walked back outside.

Emmett walked out to one of the shaded tables with a large pitcher of lemonade. “Can I interest any of you ladies in a glass?” Emmett asked as he held up the pitcher. Joan was sitting under the umbrella being fussed over by Claire, Debbie and Jennifer.

“I can use a refill,” Joan said.

“So can I, Emm, honey,” Debbie said as well.

“Ladies?” Emmett looked at Claire and Jennifer as he filled the empty glasses. Claire and Jennifer both smiled their assent.

“Emmett, sit,” Jennifer offered. “You’ve been busy playing host for hours,” Jenn said as she pulled over a nearby chair. Claire filled a glass for him.

“Thank you Miss Claire,” Emm smiled. “So what are we all talking about?”

“How well Joan is recuperating,” Debbie declared as if she was personally responsible for the miracle.

“Did I thank you for all the food you prepared for me?” Joan asked Debbie and Emmett. “I won’t have to cook for months.”

“Honey, anytime you want me to cook for you just ask. No surgery required,” Emmett replied with a smile. “And it was my pleasure to help. May I ask you all something?” Getting nods in return, Emmett went on. “What do you think of Richie?”

“I think he’s been very helpful, last night and today. He’s been very attentive to me,” Joan answered.

“He’s been very patient with the younger kids,” Claire added. “Patrick likes him. Richie seems quiet and thoughtful. Patrick enjoys quiet pursuits at times.”

“He takes after his Daddy John,” Jennifer noted. “Emm, if you’re worried that he won’t fit in with us, don’t. Give him a chance to get to know us. From what you’ve said, he still goes to counseling, so let him find his own way. You and Drew just be supportive.” The ladies all agreed with Jennifer’s assessment and recommendation.

“Speaking about quiet men, how is John getting on with his research? We hardly hear anything from him,” Jennifer said to Claire.

“According to John, it’s going remarkably well. He allowed me to read some of the anecdotal information he’s accrued.”

“Anecdotal?” Emmett asked.

“Apparently he interviewed several cottage owners here, and when he was in England.” Emmett pouted. “Why the long face?”

“He never asked me what I thought about my cottage.”

“Emmett, sweetheart, John needed unbiased opinions. He didn’t interview any of his customers or his family,” Claire added knowing Emmett would object to being called a customer.

“Well, if he wants a biased opinion, I’m his man. I love my cottage!”

“We know, Emm.” Debbie smiled fondly at Emmett.

“Oh well, I must circulate. And if I’m not mistaken, our Mr. Kinney is just about finished grilling his meat,” Emmett said as he waggled his eyebrows at the women. They all turned to see Brian place a huge steak on a platter held by a large muscled man. The man blushed as Brian arched an appraising brow at him, taking in the thick corded muscles of the man’s arms and neck.

“It’s good to know that some things never change,” Jennifer deadpanned.

“Oh I don’t know, there was a time when our little Sunshine took Brian’s flirtations like a good little soldier,” Emmett commented as Justin marched over to the Brian and his grill.

“Now, our little Sunshine isn’t just a soldier,” Debbie noted with a laugh.

“No, he’s the general,” Claire added. The ladies and Emmett laughed as Justin scowled at the muscle man.

“Reminds me of a Chihuahua about to beat up on a St. Bernard,” Emmett murmured making the ladies laugh even harder.

Brian winked at ‘muscles’ then shrugged, sending the large man off with his steak and a salute with his spatula, before he snaked his other arm across Justin’s shoulders. Brian bussed Justin’s temple as Justin led his flirtatious chef away from the heat.

Emmett got up from his chair as Brian and Justin sat at a nearby table, talking.

“I think someone needs something cool, don’t you?” Emmett said as he walked away with his pitcher of lemonade. The ladies laughed, enjoying the relaxing atmosphere and the warm spring day. They began to regale themselves with Brian and Justin stories.



*****



“Do you want to play?” John asked Richie. They were watching as Drew led several of John’s men in a rousing game of touch football.

“I’m not very good at sports, Mr. John.”

“You did well earlier in the soccer game.”

“I think Bree let me score,” Richie said with a chuckle.

John laughed. “My niece is generous in her own way. Do you have plans for the summer?” John asked trying to get Richie to open up a little.

“Not really. I have a lot of school to make up. Professor Ben is helping me.”

“Ben is a very smart man. I’m sure you’ll catch up, but leave time for fun and time to spend with your family. A very smart person told me that.”

“Really? Who?”

“Him.” John pointed toward the playing field where his baseball pitcher spouse revealed his sporting versatility by intercepting the football and running forty yards to score a touchdown. John cheered along with all of the other spectators.

The winning team congratulated themselves, paraded around like proud peacocks then generously ‘bought’ the losing team the cold beverage of their choice. All in all, everyone had fun.

“Have fun?” John asked Bobby as he jogged off the field to accept slaps on the back and a hug.

“Yeah,” Bobby said with a bright smile. He was breathing hard and sweating but loving the exhilaration.

“You ever miss not going pro?” John asked as they walked back toward the garden to get something cool to drink.

“Sometimes but then if I had, I would have never been around to meet you,” Bobby said as he stretched up to give John a kiss.

“Fun, Richie, remember, fun is very important,” John said with twinkling eyes as he and Bobby walked hand in hand.

“Fun, Mr. John, got it,” Richie said smiling up at the tall man. Richie followed the members of his new family back to the garden.

Chapter 18 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Be Careful What You Wish For

Chapter 18





“Hey, kid.”

“My name’s Richie.”

“I know that,” Michael said regretting his choice of words. “My name’s Michael, I’m Ben’s partner,” he added holding out his hand for Richie to shake. “I understand he’s been tutoring you.”

“Yeah,” Richie said shaking the extended hand. “Ben’s great.”

“Yeah, I think he’s pretty great too,” Michael smiled over at Ben who was engaged in a conversation with Debbie and Jennifer. “How are you managing with all the people who are here today? It’s quite a large group.”

“I didn’t think there would be so many.”

“Neither did Brian when he started these get-togethers.”

“Why did he? He doesn’t seem like the friendliest guy.”

Michael chuckled. “That’s what he’d have you believe. But if you ever need help, Brian Kinney’s your guy.”

Richie furrowed his brow at that. Brian had been awfully nice talking to him down by the stream. “I’ll remember that,” Richie said.

“Do you like comic books?”

“I never much thought about it,” Richie said. “I’ve read a few.”

“I often found the answers to my problems in a comic book,” Michael said honestly.

“Really?”

“Yeah, there’s a comic about almost any topic you can think of.”

“Really?” Richie said again.

“I own a comic book shop,” Michael said with a smile. “It’s on Liberty Avenue, not far from the Rainbow School. If you’d like to stop by, I’d be happy to show you some of my favorite comics. There’s even one based on Brian.”

“Brian? Wow!”

“Yeah, it’s called Rage.”

“That sounds appropriate,” Richie grinned.

“At times it is. Justin and I started it years ago, but now Lacy draws it with me.”

“That Lacy over there … with Katerina?”

“That very one. Lacy’s even a character in the comic.”

“Is Katerina?”

“No,” Michael chuckled. “Lacy’s character is called Sateeena. I’m Zephyr.”

“Like the wind?” Richie asked. Michael nodded. “You people sure are weird.”

“I guess we are,” Michael laughed. “I’m thirsty. How about you?”

“I could use another lemonade,” Richie agreed as they made their way to the refreshment table.



*****



“You really love this swing, don’t you?” Curtis asked as he pushed JR into the air.

“It’s my most favorite, even though Uncle John made one for me at my moms’ cottage.”

“What’s so great about this one?”

“Having you push me on it.” JR smiled at Curtis and Curtis felt his heart melt. He really liked this girl.

“There must be another reason,” Curtis laughed.

“Well, Uncle John would come out here and push me on it and talk to me,” JR said softly.

“What’s so special about that?”

“He made me feel … special,” JR explained. “He always talked to me like I was smart and important and worth spending time with.”

“You’re all those things,” Curtis said emphatically.

JR smiled. “I didn’t always feel like that was true. Uncle John always called me ‘little lady’ and I liked that. I like it that you think I’m special too.”

“I do,” Curtis replied.

“Push me higher. I feel like flying.”

Curtis did his best to oblige.



*****



“Hi, Richie,” Jennifer said as she approached the young boy.

“Hello, ma’am.”

Jennifer chuckled. “I’m not ma’am, I’m Jennifer.”

“Yeah, I remember that you told me to call you Jennifer, but my parents always told me…” Richie’s voice trailed off.

“What did they tell you?” she asked gently.

“They told me to respect my elders.”

“And do you?”

“Some of them,” Richie admitted. He stared at the grass by his feet.

“That’s what you should do,” Jennifer told him. “You respect the people who earn your respect, but that doesn’t mean you should be disrespectful to anyone. When you call me Jennifer, it’s because I asked you too. That’s not disrespectful, anymore than ‘ma’am’ is respectful, if you don’t really mean it.”

“I see,” Richie whispered finally looking up into Jennifer’s kind, blue eyes.

“Good,” she replied. “Have you enjoyed yourself today?”

“Yeah, everybody’s been nice to me. But…”

“But what?”

“But I’ll never remember all their names.”

Jennifer laughed. “Don’t worry about that. You’ll be around for a long time if Emmett has anything to do with it. You’ll learn the names.”

“You think?” Richie asked with a funny smile on his face. He really liked the part about being around for a long time.

“I know,” Jennifer replied.

“Justin’s your son, isn’t he?”

“Yes, he is, and I’m very proud of him.”

“What about his father?” Richie asked, remembering what Brian had told him. He couldn’t help but wish his own parents were like Jennifer.

“Craig doesn’t have a lot to do with Justin. There’s some hard feeling there.”

“Was that Justin’s father with you when you came in? You both hugged Justin and you were laughing and joking.”

“That man is my husband, not Justin’s father,” Jennifer said adamantly. “I divorced Craig Taylor a long time ago. He was an asshole … pardon my French.”

“I … I’m sorry.”

“You don’t need to be, Richie,” Jennifer said gently calming down after her outburst. “My husband is Seth Harris and he’s a wonderful man. If you have a chance to talk to him, I’d highly recommend it.” Richie nodded but still looked slightly upset at having caused Jennifer agitation. “Maybe I should mention that Justin’s father kicked him out of our home when he found out that Justin was gay.”

“Just like my parents did with me.”

“I suppose there is a lot of similarity.”

“Mr. Brian said everybody in the family had a story.”

“We all have things to deal with, and they’re not always visible,” Jennifer advised.

“I have a lot to learn,” Richie said.

“And that will continue until the day you die. But enough of this philosophical discussion. Let’s get some pie,” Jennifer said with a grin.

Richie nodded and followed her into the sun porch.



*****



The sun had a lot of time yet before setting but some of the guests were starting to pack it up. They did not want to impose on the family of Edna’s Treasures or wear out their welcome. John and Gordon’s crew were packing up their grills and dealing with the port-a-potties, much to Brian’s sublime happiness. Joan had gone back to Rachel’s house to lie down for a while before the inevitable party after the party would begin. The rest of the family was beginning to clean up the yard and garden.

Brian watched as John’s men methodically loaded up their trucks, efficiently and effectively working in concert. As the men with significant others, partners and children began to leave the lane, John and Gordon had a pleasant word of friendship or support for each of them. Brian marveled at his brother’s ease and friendliness. John seemed to know everyone’s name and position in the construction company. Each man got a handshake or a clap on the back. The wives got a kiss on the cheek and the children’s hair was fondly ruffled.

Hunter beamed with pride as many of the younger members of the construction company were his kids. Hunter hadn’t lost any back to the streets since the clinic began getting the kids off the streets, and he had every intention of keeping it that way.

Brian had a fond wink and a smile for ‘muscles’ and ‘sweetheart’ as they left; both men blushed from Brian’s attentions.

“Oof,” Brian let out when Justin swatted him in the gut.

“What’s up with you today besides the obvious? Are you in a mid-life crisis or getting the seven-year itch or something? Your testosterone levels are off the chart,” Justin declared hiding his laughter as he made Brian squirm for a while. Justin was well aware of Brian’s fidelity; however, Justin enjoyed seeing the stud at work then paying the price for it later.

“I refuse to get old enough to have a mid-life crisis,” Brian announced with a straight face. “And in case you haven’t noticed, we’re way beyond the seven-year itch.”

“How do you figure that?”

“We’ve been officially a happy homo couple for nine years now. Nineteen, if you count waaay back to the beginning of time when this little blond twink became my stalker that never left,” Brian said with a smirk. Justin couldn’t help sporting one of his brightest and sunniest smiles. Brian, the man who would never admit celebrating an anniversary just mentioned theirs. Justin played it cool.

“Oh, I never thought of it that way. However, that doesn’t excuse your behavior today. You’ve been hitting on every man in the yard.”

“No I haven’t, Sunshine. I haven’t hit on Seth and Carl,” Brian declared with a smirk, stroking a nonexistent beard. “You know, I always had a bear fantasy. You think Carl would...” Before Brian went on, he took off back to the garden with Justin hot on his heels. The family laughed at their antics.

“Is Mr. Justin really angry at Mr. Brian?” Richie asked Emmett in a whisper.

“I’ll get you, Kinney!” Justin shouted. “I know where you sleep!” Brian stopped just long enough to tease Justin then took off again.

“Honey, they’re just playing. Those two are so in love.” Emmett smiled fondly at his friends then continued to take a large bowl toward the house. “They’re just trying to get out of clean up duty,” Emmett said knowingly then winked at Richie who chuckled.

Justin chased Brian around the garden tables and patches of tall flowers. Brian led Justin on a merry chase, letting his blond catch up to him in the meadow. Feigning right, Brian did a 180 right into Justin’s arms. The two toppled over onto the soft grass.

“Should we check on them?” Richie asked with concern.

Debbie who was watching the horseplay, made a declaration. “The meadow’s off limits for at least a half hour!” she shouted. The family laughed then went about their business.



*****



“So tell me more about this asshole who’s been bugging you?” Gus asked Ray as they leaned against a tall tree near the stream. The boys had found some quiet time for themselves.

“Not much to tell. Me and Wayne have been friends since the second grade. I used to have a crush on him, but he’s straight. All of a sudden he’s become bi-curious and been hitting on me. I wish I was like your Pop; he knows how to handle himself.”

“Yeah, and half the men in Pittsburgh.”

“Only the gay half, Gus.”

“Your dads know the score. Can’t you talk to them about it?”

“It’s embarrassing,” Ray said blushing a bright red.

“Not as embarrassing as turning down the guy before he makes a fool of himself. Unless, of course, you don’t want to turn him down.”

“Gus, I don’t want any other guy but you. He just makes me nervous.”

“Then I give you permission to be an asshole just one time.”

“What?”

“Look we’re really just kids, right? We’re not ready for commitment rings.”

“Yet.”

“Yet. It’s just that shit happens. I don’t want you walking around with a big guilt trip. One slip is human, two is becoming a habit. So you have one get out of jail free card before I get tough on your ass.”

“Yeah?” Ray said leaning in with a sultry grin and a waggle of his eyebrows.

“You’re a freak; do you know that?” Gus laughed, as he smushed Ray’s face making him fall over. The fight was on with Ray and Gus enjoying every minute of it.



*****



Brian and Justin picked themselves up off the field, dusting off the grass and dirt. And no, they didn’t have sex although the urge was strong enough. They kissed and rolled around, grinding their groins against each other. However, their bigger heads took precedence over the smaller ones. With promises of uninterrupted lovemaking later when they went to bed, the boys got back to their guests.

“That was quick.” Ted took delight in teasing as the boys came back into the porch. They each were carrying empty bowls and platters. “You don’t have a problem with your...” Ted said as he pointed toward Brian’s crotch.

“What?!” Brian growled. Those present snickered.

“It’s a known fact that as men age they sometimes have problems with their...” Melanie made a twirling motion with her finger that was pointed in the general direction of Brian’s dick.

“Hey! I do not have a problem with my, my....” Brian looked around at all the young ears in the room. “With my parts, thank you very much. And what is this, pick on Brian Kinney afternoon? I just grilled my wittle fingers to the bone for you people.” Brian looked down at his hard working hands. “I think I ruined my manicure,” he mumbled as he examined his nails.

“I have a great woman in town who does wonders with my nails,” Emmett offered. He was busy putting out a new tray of edibles made for snacking.

Before Brian could make any comment, Bree decided that her audience was just the right size for a concert. She moved her pink piano toward a sunny patch, took out her music and began to regale the family with a variety of songs. The family was duly impressed with her talents as evidenced by their rousing applause. Bree stood up to humbly receive the adulation.

The remainder of the evening was spent with the family quietly catching up with family gossip and news.

“Will you be cooking your renowned breakfast for us in the morning?” Emmett asked Brian. They were in the kitchen preparing pots of coffee and tea to go with the third round of desserts that Emmett had just brought out.

“Honeycutt, how can you think of breakfast? I feel like I’m about to explode,” Brian complained.

“You barely eat enough to keep a bird alive, let alone explode. Besides, I’m talking about tomorrow morning.”

“If you promise not to barge in here at the crack of dawn, I will cook whatever you wish. Within reason,” Brian quickly added before Emmett could take advantage of Brian’s generosity.

“Yes, your majesty,” Emmett replied as he placed the coffee and tea on a large tray. “Brian, do you think Richie had fun today?” Emmett really needed to hear Brian’s opinion.

“Yes, Emmett, I really think he did, but don’t take my word for it. He’s your son, go and ask him,” Brian said with a sincere smile.

“I think I will,” Emmett said giving Brian a fierce hug before taking the tray out to the sun porch.



*****



The munchers had gone back to their cottage for the night taking JR, Gus and Ray with them, promising that they’d be back in the morning for breakfast. Carl and Debbie shepherded the boys that came with them out to the RV for the night. Steve and Claire escorted Joan and Claire back to Rachel’s. Emm, Drew and Richie drove the Hummer back to their cottage. Allen and Ted were going to spend the night with them. The kids were put to bed, practically asleep before their heads hit their pillows. The boys were relaxing in the porch, winding down before taking themselves to bed as well. John and Bobby were sharing one chaise with Brian and Justin snuggled up together on the other. What better way to end the day?

“I’m amazed that everyone went home already,” Justin commented as he snuggled closer into Brian’s arms.

“They just want to keep on my good side,” Brian snarked. He gently kissed Justin’s head.

“Whatever the reason why everyone left fairly early, I’m grateful for it,” Bobby said as he nipped at John’s lower lip.

“It’s nice to have the whole family here, well most of it anyway,” John added. Conspicuously absent were Craig and Susan and THE Sarah Kingsley. Craig was in one of his ‘no homos’ moods while Sarah decided on cocktails and finger sandwiches with friends rather than barbecue with relatives. “But it’s also nice to have our home back to ourselves.” John nuzzled Bobby’s neck.

The boys relished the quiet, while discussing the events of the day. Then the quiet was shattered by the ringing of the phone.

“It’s ours,” Bobby said as he reached under the chaise for the portable handset of their house phone. Brian arched a brow then grabbed Justin’s wrist to check the time; it was nearing eleven.

“Hello. Yes, one moment, please,” Bobby said, his curiosity peaked. “It’s for you.” Bobby said as he handed the phone to his spouse.

“Hello? Yes, this is John Anderson. Yes, I grew up in Bridgeton. Who is this? Samantha? Samantha Howard! Of course I remember you, how could I not. Of course I remember that summer. It was an exciting time in our lives. We were about to embark on the beginning of our lives. How are you? What have you been doing with yourself? I came back that fall and I was told you moved to California, a special study program, your father said. It’s been over thirty years.”

John gently moved out of Bobby’s embrace to stand up, while he began to pace the floor. As he did Brian got up then Bobby and Justin. John was growing agitated.

“All right, the diner on Main Street. No, I’m having breakfast with my family. Three o’clock. I’ll be there. I need a drink,” John grumbled as he cut the connection then made a beeline to the liquor cabinet in his end of the cottage. He poured himself a shot of scotch, downed it then poured another.

“Babe, what’s going on?” Bobby asked with concern.

“Who the fuck was that?” Brian asked with a little less tact.

“How old are you, Justin?” John asked ignoring Bobby and Brian for the moment.

“Thirty-six, why?” John laughed almost hysterically.

“John, please, you’re scaring me,” Bobby said.

“Slap him,” Brian said as he poured himself a small shot then downed it in sympathy.

“Not being helpful, Bri,” Justin murmured as he poured a small shot for himself and Bobby. He had a funny feeling they were going to need it.

Bobby grabbed John’s arms and spun him around so that he could look into John’s eyes. “Tell me what the fuck is going on!” Bobby said enunciating each syllable.

“That was Samantha Howard; an old girlfriend. I haven’t seen her since I was maybe twenty. I left to work in New York that summer learning the high steel. When I got back to start the fall semester, Samantha was gone. I tried to contact her but her father said she was away concentrating on school. I did the same and I slowly put her out of my mind.” John accepted another small shot from Brian and then he continued. “She wants to meet tomorrow.”

“We heard,” Brian said, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

“And?” Bobby asked impatiently.

“And Patrick may have an older sister,” John growled as he drank his drink then stomped toward the door.

“Shit!” Bobby, Brian and Justin cursed, as they heard the front door slam and a few moments later the roar of John’s Navigator.

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1276