Hurricane! by mandagrammy
Summary:

Brian is rewarded for a job well done with an all expense paid vacation in the Florida Keys and the use of his client's private estate on one of the islands. He and Justin have a romantic getaway that is rudely interrupted by an approaching hurricane. Will our boys survive another brush with violence, this time by Mother Nature?

This story had been inspired by a documentary I watched about Hurricane Andrew.  I wish to thank my friend, Pat, for her beta help and my dear Granddaughter, Amy, for my banner.

 


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character
Tags: M/M, Post-series, Vacation
Genres: Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4159 Read: 862 Published: Jun 23, 2018 Updated: Jun 23, 2018
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended

1. Chapter 1 by mandagrammy

Chapter 1 by mandagrammy

Brian stood at the railing of the large deck and looked out over the water.  The wind had started to pick up a couple of hours earlier and Brian was getting a little concerned.  The wind seemed stronger with each passing second.  He took in a deep breath of the fresh clean air with the scent of the bay water lingering in his nostrils.  He hated the thought of giving all this up, but it had to be done.  They had had their fun, and what decadent fun it had been, but if they didn't leave their little island getaway here in the Keys really soon they could be in some big trouble.  Why the hell did they have to come here so close to the beginning of hurricane season?  But then, there had been no hint of trouble when they first arrived just twelve days earlier.  Brian hurried back into the house and went to their bedroom to finish packing.  Brian reflected back on the last couple of weeks as he waited impatiently for Justin to return home.
 
****************************************************************

Two Weeks Earlier:

George Sanders was a very happy man.  Brian Kinney had worked miracles, which had made Sanders even happier that he had taken his partner's advice and hired Kinnetik, Inc. as the new advertising agency for his national chain of jewelry stores.  In the six months since the first campaign had hit the market, the sales had almost doubled at most of the stores.  Sanders had heard that Kinney himself had been responsible for most of the ideas behind the campaigns which were full of romance and the sensual pleasure of owning and giving pieces of fine jewelry to loved ones.  Sanders was impressed with Kinney's obvious romantic heart and it was for just that reason that he was now determined to offer Kinney a special bonus on top of the cash bonus he would receive for a job very well done.  Nothing like a romantic getaway for two to stimulate creative juices, Sanders had decided.  Within minutes of being ushered into Brian's office and shaking hands, Sanders made his offer.

"Brian," he began with a satisfied grin on his face, "I know you've heard the details of how successful your campaign has become and I just wanted to show you my deep appreciation.  I guess the first question I need to ask, if you won't think I'm being too nosy, is whether you have a special someone in your life?  I only ask," he hurried on before Brian could answer, " because this would affect them too."

"As a matter of fact, I do....someone more than special actually.  I have a lifetime partner, and I will probably even marry him someday when it becomes legal in our State," Brian answered without even trying to hide the sex of his significant other.

Mr. Sanders hesitated for only a brief second.  He hadn't thought about the possibility of Kinney being gay, but what the hell did he care.  It was none of his business who others slept with.  As long as Kinney was doing such a magnificent job for him, he could sleep with the Queen of England or the President of the United States for all he cared.

"That's great, because that fits in with my idea perfectly.  As the boss of your own company I presume you could take off some time from work if you chose to, right?"

"If I have a good enough reason."

"So how about a romantic getaway for two to the Florida Keys with total possession of my Summer home, which I can guarantee that you will find most comfortable?  It's right on the water of one of the most beautiful bays you'll ever see.  I have a nice big cruising boat, complete with crew, that you can use anytime you like.  I even have a personal staff that live there year round, including a cook and housekeeper.  I thought maybe two weeks away with the weather just turning perfect for outdoor activities and your own private beach might inspire you to come back and produce even more gems for my company.  So  what do you think?  The family doesn't go down there until mid-June so you could go anytime between now and then." 

Brian's mouth dropped open. Did this guy have mental telepathy or what?  It was almost eerie.  Brian had just started thinking how it was about time he took Justin somewhere special for a little vacation.  In less than a month it would be the first Anniversary since Brian had sold Babylon to new partners in business, Ted and Emmett, and moved his advertising agency to New York City to be with Justin.  They had easily settled into domestic life together in the big City but they had been so busy with their careers that they had hardly had any time alone with each other.  Brian longed to remedy that and show Justin just how grateful he was to have the young man back in his life for good.  A trip to the Keys for a couple of weeks sounded perfect...and it was.

Brian thanked Sanders profusely and told him he would get right back to the man as soon as he talked to his partner.  He hurried home that night and the two celebrated their unexpected gift in the way they usually celebrated the joys of their life...all night long.  The next morning they mapped out a plan for when to leave and when to return.  Two weeks later they were on a plane flying down to Florida with the keys to the Summer house and plenty of luggage with casual wear in hand.

****************************************************************************** 

For nearly two weeks it was sheer Heaven!  It was late May and the weather was perfect.  It was warm but not sizzling.  The waters of the bay off their private beach were azure blue and so clear that one could sit on the dock and watch the living creatures below your feet as they lazily swam all around the pilings.  The Sanders house was a mini mansion with a wide veranda that encircled the house on both the first floor and the second.  There were five bedrooms and five bathrooms upstairs and the servants quarters at the back of the house on the first floor.  There was a large living room, a pool room, a media room, a huge dining room, and even larger kitchen on the first floor.  There were fruit trees filling the front yard and a tennis court and heated swimming pool on the side yard with perfectly cared for gardens front and back.  A long pathway led from the garden in back down to the beach where a long dock led out onto the water.  A beautiful boat was hoisted out of the water hanging over the dock waiting to be lowered back into the water for its next time at sea.  

For the next week and a half, Brian and Justin partook of as many of the pleasures of their island getaway as they could cram into their time in paradise.  The first night was the best.  The servants were discreet and well trained.  They provided the couple a magnificent meal of seared tuna, asparagus tips, and roasted potatoes topped off with a decadent dessert of mixed berry compote topped with fresh whipped cream.  After serving the meal the servants retired from the room, leaving the couple to enjoy their meal.  Brian couldn't resist pulling Justin's chair closer when he spotted a dollop of whipped cream on the corner of the young man's mouth.  Brian leaned in and flicked the offending white speck off with his tongue.  Justin mumbled a thank you just in time before Brian rose up and brought Justin with him.  In no time the two men were enjoying themselves placing drops of cream on one another's faces and then licking it off.  Laughter filled the room as the lovers abandoned their desserts with the last drop of cream gone and hurried upstairs to their sumptuous master bedroom with the all imported marble bathroom.  The couple were not seen again until the next day, which was fairly late since they had proceeded to christen as many spots in the two rooms with lovemaking as they could from dinner time until four in the morning.

The rest of their days were equally exciting and exhausting as Brian and Justin availed themselves of the many treats that were available to them.  They used the boat several  times...once for a lazy day of fishing, catching and releasing everything they managed to hook, once for a day of scuba diving after receiving instructions from their very own personal instructor who worked on the boat.  They marveled at the beautiful coral reefs and marine life that came in a variety of colors that rivaled the gay pride rainbow.  They found the time during their short dives to play a little game of 'gotcha' as they playfully wrestled with each other under the sea and even risked removing their mouthpiece to share a quick kiss as the oxygen escaped in thousands of bubbles around them before they quickly replaced the breathing apparatus.  Another time they took the boat out just to run the waters and visit as many of the small islands and atolls as they could.  There was plenty of food and spirits on board and they spent that evening stretched out on the top deck as the captain of the vessel moved the boat lazily through the water.  They lay side by side with their hands entwined as they gazed up at the sparkling diamond stars in the velvety black sky above them.  In no time, the silence of the deck was interrupted by the sound of their heavy breathing as they came together in a moment of sheer pleasure that spread over them like a soft warm blanket of love on a cool night.  

The couple didn't spend all their time alone.  They spent time on Key West and visited the shops where they loaded up on souvenirs for their loved ones at home.  Justin bought Brian a new shell bracelet that brought back memories but was different enough to be unique unto itself.  He asked the owner of the shop to engrave one tan and white shell with a B & J inside a small heart.  Brian let Justin put it on his wrist and continued to wear it every time he wasn't in water.  Brian bought Justin a book with the history of the artist's colony that thrived on the island and included pictures of some of the beautiful works of art that had been created there.  Justin naturally spent some of his time in creating his own works of art with sketches that he would later transfer to his canvases at home.  Some of their time was spent in bar hopping and meeting the locals.  Key West had plenty of gay bars to indulge in and the couple met a number of interesting folks.  In the past they might have indulged in a three or foursome but Brian had determined that this vacation was just for his Sunshine and the only man he wanted near his cock was Justin.  They indulged in conversations with their new acquaintances but resisted the open invitations to join in any play time.  Every night they returned to their special place and shared in more memory making...sometimes in the bedroom, sometimes in the sauna, sometimes in the whirlpool, the hot tub, the swimming pool, the beach, the pool table, and of course the sofa in the media room.

Yes, they tried not to miss a spot, and pretty much didn't.  But now it was rudely over, just like that.  News had come down that a tropical storm had begun to rear its ugly head out at sea and it had been watched carefully for some time.  It hadn't looked like it would come anywhere near the coast of Florida so no  one panicked and then the fickle thing changed its mind.  It suddenly picked up speed and began moving closer and closer to the Keys.  Word went out that folks needed to be prepared.  The day before, Brian was warned that if he waited for three more days to leave the island and return home as originally planned he just might not be able to get out.  The couple hated to cut things short but they realized that the smart move would be to head home a couple of days early.  They made plans that very morning to leave in the early evening.  Justin had made a purchase at a local shop which was meant for his mother.  Jennifer was now engaged to marry Tucker and Justin had chosen a beautiful large picture frame made from the coral and shells of the island that he wanted to give his mom for her wedding photo.  He wanted it engraved but the shopkeeper's engraver was not available until this very day.  Brian had suggested they have it mailed to the Pitts but Justin vetoed the idea.  The plane wouldn't be leaving for hours so he left the house with the promise to return as quickly as possible.  Brian was still not finished with the packing when one of the servants knocked timidly at the door.  He hurried to answer, thinking it was surprising that Justin would knock.

"Mr. Kinney, I'm sorry to disturb you Sir, but we just received news that the storm has caught everyone by surprise and is now at hurricane force and closing in at an unanticipated pace.  We just got word that there will be no flights allowed to leave because the winds are too dangerous and keep changing directions.  This storm has become completely unpredictable and everyone has been ordered to get out and head for the mainland as quickly as possible."

Brian felt his heart squeeze tightly.  "I can't just leave.  Justin isn't home yet."

"I'm sure he's been given the same warning Mr. Kinney.  You really need to gather your things and head for the boat dock.  It's a short trip to the mainland and Mr. Taylor is probably waiting at the docks already."

Brian wasn't about to go anywhere without Justin.  He put up his finger to hush the concerned man and pulled out his cell.  He had tried to call Justin a couple of times already but couldn't get any reception.  He prayed he would this time.  He speed dialed Justin's phone but again got nothing but a blank sound for his troubles.  He almost threw the phone to the floor in his frustration.  What the fuck good was a cell if it didn't do its job?  He joined the young man who had just warned him and hurried out to the main room.  There were only three servants left in the house.  Brian had dismissed the rest of them that morning so they could see to their families.  He looked at the nervous faces in front of him.

"Look, I want you folks to go ahead and leave.  I'll be right behind you.  I'm not a baby and I don't need looking after.  I'll wait just a little longer for Justin to return and if he doesn't...well then I'm sure Freddy here is right and Justin has gone on to the boat dock ahead of me.  I'll leave then."

"Sir", interrupted Freddy, "Mr. Sanders would have our hides if we left you here to fend for yourself."

"Freddy, I appreciate your concern but Mr. Sanders told you to do whatever I asked of you and I'm telling you that I will feel a whole lot better if I don't have to worry about anybody but Justin.  So stop wasting time and get going.  You can make sure they know at the dock that there are two more folks out here who need a ride to the mainland.  Okay?"

Freddy and the others hesitated but Brian's face brooked no argument.  They nodded their heads slowly and went to the door where they each had an overnight bag packed.  They picked them up and left after wishing Brian luck and shaking his hand.  When the door closed behind them, Brian could hear for the first time how loud the noise was that was coming from outside.  The wind was no longer simply  blowing but now seemed to be swirling all around the house like a hyper whirling dervish.  Brian hurried over to the doors leading onto the back veranda.  He started to slide them back when he saw the awning from the table at the pool go flying by.  It came within a foot of crashing into the glass doors.  Brian pulled back in shock.  He whipped the curtains closed and quickly exited the area.  If the windows or door broke he knew he'd be in a shitload of trouble.  Everything was happening so fast.  Only a short time ago he had been standing safely out on that very deck and now he feared even opening the doors to the outside.  He feared what was happening to Justin even more.  Brian hurried back to the bedroom and finished packing what little was left on the bed.  He grabbed the luggage and took it to the front door.  He tried the cell once more but again got no response.  

Brian was beginning to realize he had made a serious mistake.  Justin had to be at the dock.  Surely that was why he wasn't home yet and the native folks must have warned him already of what was coming.  Brian decided that he had to get out of here and find Justin.  He opened the door and had it ripped from his hand in that instant.   He now knew he had waited too long.  The wind had picked up unbelievably fast and it was now filled with rain drops that slashed at Brian's face.  He quickly shut the door again.  He would still have to get to the dock but he knew he couldn't do it with luggage in hand.  Brian went to the storage room and placed their luggage inside.  He found a slicker in the hall closet and donned it over his clothes.  He went back to the front door and opened it more carefully this time.  He managed to hold onto the door but before he could step out he saw something green out of the corner of his eye as it moved fast towards him.  Brian had no time to react and a second later he had been knocked back into the house a half dozen feet by the force of the blow to his head from the tree limb of one of the trees they had admired in the front yard.  His last thought before he lost consciousness was....Justin, where are you?

*****************************************************************************************

"Brian...Brian...it's time to wake up!  Brian struggled to regain solid footing in the conscious world.  He knew that voice that called to him so pleadingly.  He knew he had to respond to it.  He hated the anxiety he heard in the voice.  That voice should always be a happy one.  He pulled his thoughts together from the fog that surrounded him and finally found the strength to open his eyes.

"Oh thank Gawd", came that voice again.  

Brian opened his eyes wider and focused.  It was his Sunshine and the poor man looked scared as hell.  Brian tried to talk but Justin placed two fingers on his lovers lips and then leaned down to replace them with his soft lips.

"Shhh, don't talk Brian.  Do you know that you gave me the scare of my life?  What is it with us that we keep getting our heads bashed?  Wasn't a concussion from my dad enough for you."  Justin laughed weakly.  "You're going to be fine according to the doctors.  You'll have one hell of a headache for a while and a healthy sized lump on your head but that brilliant brain of yours is still intact.  They can't believe that you only got a mild concussion but the limb that hit you wasn't that big.  You are one lucky son of a bitch, did you know that.  At the last moment the storm changed course and moved back out to sea.  It did do some damage but outside of a little flooding in some places and some wind damage it looks like there are only injured folks and no deaths from this hurricane.  They tell me it could have been a lot worse if it had continued to stay inland."

Brian couldn't hold back any longer.  "Where were you?  I waited for you.  I was sure something bad had happened to you."

Justin looked sadly at Brian.  It hurt to hear the fear in his lovers voice.  Brian had come so close to losing him twice before through violence.  He knew Brian couldn't take a third time.  And now he knew how Brian had felt all those times.  He had felt like the life had been knocked out of him when he saw the trio of servants from the Sanders estate coming onto the dock.  He was even more scared when he realized that Brian had stayed behind just to wait for him.  What an idiot, he had thought at the time, but then Brian always felt he was invincible.  He wanted to rip his lover a new one for taking such a chance but he was just too happy to see Brian alive and safe when the all clear was given before the boat left the dock and folks were allowed to go home.  Of course he didn't know that at first when they got to the estate and found Brian laying half conscious inside the foyer  and the wide open door.  Only Brian's moans assured Justin that his beloved was still alive.  

"I know you waited, you big goof," he scolded.  "I was fine.  I used common sense and went to the docks with the owner of the shop.  I was told that all the residents were being evacuated and that you would be joining us any time.  I thought for sure you'd obey instructions and show up but noooo, you had to risk your life to wait on me."

Justin stopped.  He could see the look of regret in Brian's eyes for the poor decision he had made and the worry it had caused.  It cut Justin to the quick to see Brian feeling guilty.  He wasn't about to let his lover suffer for caring so much about him.  He checked to make sure that no one else was in the room they had assigned Brian for an overnight stay for observation and saw it was empty.  He climbed into the bed and lay on the edge as close to Brian as he could get.  Luckily, except for a large bandage on his noggin, Brian didn't have anything but a single IV in him that was there in case it was needed.  Justin carefully wrapped his arm around Brian, who scooted over painfully to make more room for his man.  He apparently didn't have any broken bones but he was bruised from the fall he had taken backwards.  

"I love you, you idiot.  I appreciate the fact that you didn't want to leave without me, but don't you know that I am just as scared of losing you as you are of losing me?  I don't know about you but this has been one of the best times I've had with you since that first night we shared together and I have no intention of letting a little thing like hurricane force winds destroy those memories.  I'm afraid that Mr. Sanders place did sustain some damage so we can't go back there but tomorrow, when they let you out, we are going to the mainland and catch the first plane home.  I'm going to baby you until you get sick of it and then we are going to relive as many memories of our vacation as we can once I know you are back to your old self.   Sound like a plan you can live with?"

"Whatever you say.  I am putty in your hands, as if you didn't already know that Sunshine," Brian whispered.  

Justin heard him just fine.  He got up on his elbow and gathered Brian closer to him.  Yes, he knew what Brian was saying but it was a two way street.  No matter what adventures or mishaps they had Justin knew they'd come out fine in the end and always be there for each other.  Hell, if an angry father, a homophobic son of a bitch basher, constant misunderstandings and mixed signals, a bomb blast, and a little hurricane couldn't tear them apart, Justin figured nothing ever could.  He kissed Brian tenderly and let all his happiness that the man was safe flow from his lips to Brian's.  Brian let them flow right back and the men snuggled down to wait for the morning and whatever adventures life would next offer them in the future.

The End

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1297