Pride Goeth... by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

It's time once again for Pittsburgh PRIDE, and all that entails.

Story #46 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon
Pairings: Brian/Emmett
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 34439 Read: 12709 Published: Jul 06, 2018 Updated: Jul 06, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Pride Goeth...


Chapter 1





About ninety minutes after John left the cottage, the boys heard the Navigator rumble back into the driveway and then the sun porch door opened. The unmistakable clomps of John’s boots stomped up the spiral staircase to his office.

“At least he’s safe,” Brian mumbled. He and Justin stayed with Bobby while they waited for John’s return. They had debated going after him or calling the local sheriff, but decided that John might just need a little time alone to get his head screwed back on right, so they waited near the phone with Bobby.

“I should go to him,” Bobby said as he turned to walk out and up to the office. Brian nodded in agreement.

“No, let me,” Justin said. Brian arched his brow as Bobby was about to protest. “I’m more removed from the situation than the both of you. I can be objective.” Seeing the mounting explosions on Brian and Bobby’s faces, Justin went on. “Bobby, right now you’re thinking like a lover not a lawyer. When we all calm down, you can think like a lawyer and figure out the next move. He’s going to need a lover in a while. Brian, at this moment you’re ready to wake up anyone you need to and hire a team of investigators to track down this Samantha person and verify her story. I know you, remember; you want to charge in with both guns blazing to defend your brother but now’s not the time. Let me talk to him and gauge where his head is at. I’m sure he’s confused and exhausted just like we all are. We’ve had a long day,” Justin wisely said.

Bobby nor Brian could find fault with Justin’s logic. Having no choice, they let him go.

“Don’t start with me,” John growled hearing someone come up the stairs. He was sitting in the dark at his desk, his only light from the dimmed porch chandelier.

“Wasn’t going to say a word. Just checking that you’re all in one piece before I take Brian to bed,” Justin replied calmly.

“Justin?”

“That’s me.”

“Oh.”

“Who were you expecting?”

“I half expected Brian to come charging up here, giving orders and waking the dead to get his orders carried out.”

“Yes, well, I got him to wait at least until daylight before he got on his white horse.” His comment got a little snort of agreement out of his brother-in-law.

“Bet Bobby’s pissed.”

“More concerned about you at the moment than pissed. He’s working up to being pissed.”

“Yeah, that sounds like him.”

“Are you all right?”

“I’m not sure. More numb than anything.”

“Is it possible that you could have a daughter?”

“More than possible, Justin. I spent most of my early adult years proving my manhood. I know you all tease my brother about being a stud, well that trait runs a little too deep. I just wasn’t as vocal about it as Brian.”

“No stud of Bridgeton rep?”

“Not even of Harrisburg.”

“You did use condoms.”

“Yes, dad, I used condoms. Always. But sometimes they do break.”

“Yes, they do.”

“What am I going to do?” John sighed.

“Right now, I suggest we go to bed. I don’t know about you but I need a shower and some sleep. I have a feeling that tomorrow may be just as exhausting as today.”

“I’m not sure I can sleep.”

“Have another shot of scotch and a long hot shower, you’ll sleep. Let Bobby help, he’s waiting downstairs for you.”

“Okay.” John got up from his desk to walk to the stairs. “You know I always prided myself on doing the right thing, being careful and considerate of others. Maybe my pride got in the way this time.”

“I'm not so certain about that. What I am certain of is that we’re a family. Whatever happens, you won’t be alone in this. We have two lawyers in the family, a man that has a knack of ferreting out any mystery and another man with the means to pay for it all. We’ll figure it out. And if it all comes down to the simple fact that you have a grown daughter, then so be it. She either becomes a part of the family or doesn’t.”

“When did you get to be so smart?” John smiled fondly at Justin.

“I’m always smart. I just like hiding behind the blond hair,” Justin said with a straight face. As weary as John was he chuckled.

“Okay, smarty pants, you win. Time for bed,” John said as he started down the stairs with Justin following.

At the bottom of the stairs, Bobby and Brian were waiting, not so patiently, but waiting nonetheless. Bobby immediately drew his lover into his strong arms. Brian searched his brother’s eyes for a moment then bussed his head before taking Justin’s hand to go to their side of the cottage.

“Are you okay?” Bobby whispered.

“No, but I will be. With you by my side I will be. Take me to bed, Bobby, I really need you.”

The lovers kissed; Bobby poured all his love and support into his kiss, then he led John to their bedroom.

“Do you think it’s possible that John has a grown daughter out there?” Brian asked as he tenderly dried Justin’s mane with a fluffy towel. They had gone back to their room to take a needed shower.

“I have no doubt that it’s possible. Whether it’s probable, I’m not convinced. I will have to see proof.”

“I’ll pay for a paternity test,” Brian said quickly.

“Brian, if John wants a paternity test, he’s more than capable of paying for it himself. Ask before jumping in and helping. John does things a little differently than you do,” Justin gently admonished Brian. He knew Brian only had good intentions, but Justin didn’t want Brian’s intentions to backfire.

“Yes, mother,” Brian snarked. Justin chuckled, first John and then Brian. The brothers Kinney were more alike than they thought. “Let’s go to bed,” Brian murmured against Justin’s forehead. “I want to feel you inside of me,” he whispered. Justin smiled then led his prince to bed.



*****



“Helloooo,” Emmett called out as he led his band of merry men through the sun porch door.

“In here,” Brian called out. He was in the kitchen making a large pot of coffee. He was currently the only one awake.

“It’s not that early,” Emmett said noting the time. “Where is everyone?” Emmett said looking around for hidden family that might be lurking somewhere. Beau lifted his massive head up off the floor to woof his reassurances to Emmett.

“Hi Beau,” Richie bravely greeted the large dog.

“We’re running a bit slow today, Emm,” Brian said as he began to fill mugs with his favorite blend. He poured juice for Richie. Emmett served up the popovers he brought with him.

“Oh? Did something happen when we left last night?”

Every face was turned toward Brian in curiosity.

“Not my story to tell,” Brian said as he bit into a delectable buttery popover.

Just then the front door opened; Debbie and her horde marched in looking for breakfast.

“What’s going on?” Debbie asked quickly noting the lack of pots and pans clanking or egg shells cracking.

“Not sure,” Drew answered and then his stomach grumbled.

“Somebody’s hungry. Move aside, Kiddo,” Debbie said with a hip check to Brian’s side. “Come on, Emm. I saw Rachel leading her guests over here. We have a lot of hungry mouths to feed. Let’s get cracking those eggs.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Emmett cheerfully replied as he grabbed an apron and began to help.

“Maw,” Brian began to protest. Breakfast was his job.

“Honey, now I know something’s up and it’s not you,” Debbie said in confidence to Brian. "You boys worked very hard yesterday, let me help.”

“Okay,” Brian said knowing that Debbie had effectively put her foot down. “Emmett worked just as hard.”

“Leave Emm to me. You go organize the sun porch.”

“Okay, Maw,” Brian said giving the woman a kiss. “Come on, Mikey, you can help me with the tables in the porch.”

“Why do I have to help?” Michael whined. The family chuckled, shaking their heads. “Ben’s the brawn in the family.”

“And the brains,” Brian snarked.

“Asshole,” Mikey responded.

“Just like old times,” Debbie said from the stove.

The family went about the business of getting breakfast on the table.



*****



“Dada,” Bree said kneeling on her chair at breakfast to whisper in Brian’s ear.

“Yes, Squirt?”

“What’s the matter with Unca John?”

“What makes you think there’s something wrong?” Brian asked, surprised that Bree had picked up on what was going on.

“He don’t say nothin’,” Bree informed him.

“He doesn’t say anything,” Brian corrected.

“That’s what I said.”

“Well, not quite.”

“What’s wrong?” Bree persisted.

“Unca John has some stuff to deal with,” Brian finally said.

“Oh.”

“Maybe you could give him a hug. I think that would make him feel better.”

“Okay,” Bree said happily, glad that there was something she could do. “Does he need my bunny?”

“No, Squirt, I think a hug will be sufficient.”

“Okay,” Bree replied sitting back down in her chair. “After breakfast, right?”

Brian nodded.

“Are you two finished whispering?” Justin asked.

“I believe so,” Brian said with a smirk.

“It’s always nice to be included,” Justin said pointedly.

“I love you, Daddy,” Bree said with her sunny smile.

All Justin could do was smile back and shake his head.



*****



“So, kiddo, how did you like your first Memorial Day with the family?” Debbie asked Richie.

“It was, um, interesting.”

Debbie laughed. “Yeah, we’re an interesting group.”

“Yeah,” Richie agreed. “Michael asked me to come by his comic shop,” he added as an afterthought. He had figured out that the loud woman with the red hair was Michael’s mother.

“Did he? Well, you should do that. Michael loved comics when he was your age.”

“Still does,” Brian piped up.

“And what’s wrong with that?” Michael asked indignantly.

“Oh, nothing, Mikey, absolutely nothing,” Brian replied with a grin.

“Michael actually lectured to one of my classes at Carnegie-Mellon about the literature of comics,” Ben threw in, feeling the need to defend his spouse. “He’s an expert on comic books.”

“Wow!” Richie said. “So, does that make you a professor too?” he asked Michael.

“Yeah, Professor Mikey,” Brian teased.

“No, Richie, I’m not a professor,” Michael said glaring at Brian. “I’m just a shopkeep,” he added with a wink at Brian. That was the title Brian always gave him when he came into the comic store with a ‘Yo, shopkeep’.

“And a mighty fine shopkeep you are,” Brian said with a gentle smile at his old friend.

Michael beamed at Brian. Brian realized that for all the years that had passed and how they had grown apart, Michael still wanted his approval.

“You’ve made a big success of that place,” Justin said sincerely.

“With a little help from you and Rage,” Michael replied.

“Is this a mutual admiration society all of a sudden?” Hunter asked.

“We all admire you, O Master of Social Work,” Brian grinned.

“You’re a master?” Richie asked wondering what that meant.

“I have a Masters of Social Work degree,” Hunter explained to the boy. “A lot of the young men who were at the barbecue are kids who have gone through the program I run at the Center where I work. They’ve become excellent craftsmen working with John and Gordon and their men.”

“That sounds like real important work,” Richie replied.

“I like to think it is,” Hunter said proudly.

“He’s very important,” Nick said with a kiss to Hunter’s cheek. “And so is what he does.”

“This family has a lot to be proud of,” Bobby contributed.

“Hey all,” Lindsay called as she came into the sun porch. “Sorry we’re late.”

“Is there any breakfast left?” Gus asked as he pulled a chair up to the table.

“Yeah, I’m starved,” Ray added doing the same.

“Hi, Gus,” Bree said. “I wondered where you were.”

“We all overslept, especially some people,” JR added as she glanced at her mothers.

“Eiiew,” Brian groaned. “TMI.”

“We’ve got some bagels left,” Debbie said. “Want them toasted?”

“That would be great, Grandma Debbie,” Gus said.

“Have some juice,” Emmett said passing the pitcher up the table. “And I have two popovers, one each with your name on it.” He sent the nearly empty basket up the table.

“Thanks,” both Gus and Ray said with big smiles.

“And I have a muffin specially saved for my favorite gal,” Emmett said handing it to JR.

“Hey, what about us?” Lindsay asked.

“I’ll settle for a fucking mug of coffee,” Melanie griped.

“Yes, ma’am,” Emmett said getting up to pour coffee for each of the women. “There’s no bacon or eggs left, but I could make you some.”

“No, it’s okay, Emmett,” Lindsay told him.

“Wait, there’s a coffee cake in the oven. I forgot all about it,” Emmett said slapping his forehead. He hustled into the kitchen to get it.

“How fortuitous!” Brian smirked.

“Can it, Kinney,” Melanie responded. “I’m in no mood.”

“Obviously you didn’t get any last night,” Brian joked. “I rescind my precious statement about TMI. Apparently I was mistaken.”

“There were two raccoons outside our bedroom howling and…” Lindsay began.

“Fucking,” Melanie informed them, completing Lindsay’s sentence. “They wouldn’t shut the fuck up.”

“How long can raccoons go at it?” Justin asked.

“All fucking night!”

“You don’t seem to be cranky, Sonny boy,” Brian said to his son. “Didn’t the raccoons keep you boys up?”

“We were on the other side of the cottage,” Gus beamed. “Slept like a baby.”

“You’re not a baby, Gus,” Bree piped up. “You’re my big brother.”

Gus laughed. “That’s just an expression, short stuff. It means that I slept really well, like Taylor does. Not a care in the world.”

Ray leaned his shoulder against Gus’ and the two spoke volumes about their night together, without saying a word.

“How about you, JR? How did you sleep?” John asked deciding to participate in the discussion. He had been introspective long enough.

“I was fine,” JR said cheerfully, glad that Uncle John remembered her.

“That’s good, little lady.”

“I love you, Uncle John,” Bree said coming around the table and climbing up onto John’s knee. She put her arms around his neck and hugged him.

“Thanks for the hug, little one,” John responded. “I could sure use it.”

“I thought so,” Bree said proudly. “I figured that out.”

“I just bet you did.”

“Here’s bagels and coffee cake,” Debbie said leading Emmett back into the sun porch. “Cream cheese, butter, jam. You can make a feast.”

“There’s always food here, isn’t there?” Richie observed earning laughs from all present.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 2






“It’s so beautiful out here, so quiet. You can really hear yourself think,” Richie commented. The whole family sensed that something was up with the men of Edna’s Treasures. After their breakfast Emmett suggested a trip down the lane to his cottage. The family thought that was an excellent idea. No one had any plans nor was anyone in any rush to get back to the city. It was a holiday; they might as well take advantage of it.

“Professor Bruckner, would you mind looking at some of my assignments?” Richie ventured. Even though it was a three day weekend, he still had some school work to accomplish.

“Of course I don’t mind but can you drop the professor bit? I don’t mind if you call me Ben; you’re family now.” Seeing the discomfort in Richie’s eyes, Ben made a further suggestion. “Would addressing me as Uncle Ben make you feel better?” Richie nodded making Ben smile. “Then Uncle Ben it is. Go get your books; we can set up here.” They were seated at a table under an umbrella, a cool breeze made it very comfortable and the family was as quiet as their surroundings.

It was a good day for quiet pursuits or so it seemed.



*****



John had his keys in his hands as he walked out of the cottage and around to his Navigator. When he opened the car door and sat down, he noticed he wasn’t alone.

“Where are the kids?” John asked.

“With your mother at Rachel’s,” Bobby replied. He was riding shotgun.

“And what’s your excuse?” John growled as he adjusted the rearview mirror to see Brian and Justin sitting in the back.

“You are not doing this alone,” Justin said emphatically.

“Yeah, like he said,” Brian added with a smirk.

John loudly sighed, closing his eyes and rubbing at his temples. “So I have no say in the matter?”

“NO!” came three replies.

“Then I guess we better get this show on the road,” John said, resigned that his family was not going to change their minds. He would have company whether he wanted it or not. He started up the SUV then backed down the driveway.



*****



“What are your plans for the Summer, Ray?” Melanie asked as they were all relaxing in the sun porch. She liked Ray but like most mothers she was suspicious when it came to the love lives of her children. She was still having trouble getting around the fact that two very gay parents produced her straight daughter. And that said straight daughter had a thing for a boy already. The notion just boggled her mind.

“I was thinking about taking some extra classes at college, but my dads think I can use a break from school. It was an intense semester.”

Gus nodded in agreement. It wasn’t easy with a duel major. Ray was taking engineering courses and business courses. Gus had toyed with the idea of taking a summer class as well, but he really missed his family.

“I’m going to work with my dad,” Ray said.

“At N’rgy?” Lindsay inquired.

“No, my other dad, in his office.”

“Are you thinking of taking over the family business?” Mel asked.

“Maybe, I’m not sure yet.”

“Melanie, don’t cross examine Ray, he doesn’t have to make any life altering decisions right now.”

“He’s going to be a Junior in college in the Fall, he should have some idea of what he wants to do with his life.” Mel glared. She had visions of her son falling in love with a penniless good for nothing.

“Mel!”

“Fine, I’ll drop it,” she grumbled.

Gus was now thoroughly embarrassed. “Um, I can use some air. You want to take a walk with me?” Gus asked, taking Ray’s hand to lead him out of the porch. They headed down to the grotto.

“Did your dad really design all this? It looks just like your stream,” Ray asked as they settled on the great rock that Brian had John create. It was just the right size for sitting and thinking.

“Yeah. As my dad tells it, that was the reason he chose the cottage at Edna’s Treasures. Because the stream reminded him of the stream near John’s house.”

“I don’t get it, there’s another stream?”

Gus explained about John’s farm, what Edna’s Treasures looked like before John and his men got to it and the fun he had in the treehouse as a kid.

“Ya think Claire would mind if we camp out in the treehouse some time?” Ray asked with a waggle of his eyebrows. Gus laughed.

“I think a lot of romantic nights were spent up in that treehouse. Dad installed a fireplace.”

“Like the Wendy house?”

“Yeah, but smaller. Kept us warm, though.”

“I think I can keep you warm.” Ray leaned over to give Gus a searing kiss.

“Of that I have no doubt,” Gus murmured when they broke for air.

“Is this stream deep enough to swim in?”

“Nah, it barely reaches my knees.”

“Bummer.”

“That doesn’t mean we still can’t get wet,” Gus said as he began to strip down to his underwear and a smile.

“Oh yeah!” Ray said as he did the same. The boys had fun frolicking in the stream with no further serious thoughts of after summer plans.



*****



“Hasn’t changed much over the years,” Bobby said. He was familiar with the little café in Bridgeton.

“Is this the place where Steve finally grew the balls to hook up with Claire?” Brian asked a little crudely.

John sighed. “Yes, this is the place. It’s been here forever. I used to bring Samantha here after school. We always sat at the last booth in the corner.”

“It seems so....” Justin began.

“Straight?” Brian supplied.

“I was going to say, quaint, but straight does describe it,” Justin commented as they slowly drove past looking for parking.

“Where’s Emmett when you need him? He’d straighten out this place, so to speak,” Brian snarked.

John pulled up short at the light. “Brian,” John began sternly. “Please remember that my mother still lives in this town. They all know me and most have respected my change in orientation.” Brian was about to protest that John never changed, he just came to his senses. “Eh!” John held up his hand stopping the tirade before it began. “Brian, don’t argue with me,” John snapped.

He found parking then turned off the engine.

“Brian, I know you mean well but will you please just let me handle this,” John said gently. “I haven’t seen Samantha in over thirty years. She probably thinks of me as very straight and married with 2.8 children. This is going to be a shock.”

“Brother dearest, you have a true gift for understatement. I’ll behave but if I hear just one homophobic comment I won’t be responsible for my actions,” Brian growled.

“No, you won’t but I will,” Justin said firmly. “Brian Kinney, we’re here to give John our emotional support, not reenact the Stonewall riots. I will personally pull you out of there by your ears if you don’t behave,” Justin put his foot down.

“I love it when you get butch, Sunshine. It makes me hard,” Brian purred into Justin’s ear. Justin leaned into Brian’s embrace.

“Oh just shoot me,” John moaned.

Bobby chuckled then patted him on the back. “Don’t worry, Babe, with these two making goo-goo eyes at each other, no one will ever notice you,” Bobby said. “Let’s go see what Samantha Howard has to say.”

The four men steeled themselves for battle and bravely walked into the café.



*****



“Gus, I’m close,” Ray moaned. They had concluded their aquatic frolic and were now making themselves all hot and sticky in a patch of sun warmed grass. Ray was on his hands and knees while Gus was pounding into him from behind. Gus had a firm grip on Ray’s hips, keeping him upright so that Ray could tug on his own dick. They were just about to come together.

“Gus!”

“Ray!”

They shouted as they came then collapsed in a heap. Gus gently pulled out keeping a firm grip on the condom.

“That was hot,” Ray murmured as he licked the sweat off Gus’ neck as they cuddled.

“Oh yeah,” Gus purred as he tilted his head to give Ray better access. “I could do this all day.”

“I don’t think my ass can take it,” Ray giggled.

“Did I hurt you?” Gus sat up attempting to turn Ray over to examine him.

“No,” Ray said as he grabbed Gus’ hands to place them around his neck. “You could never hurt me. I just meant that I’d need to give my ass a break if you kept at me for a whole day. I love fucking with you.”

“Really?”

“Really. But I am a little concerned about one thing.”

“What?” Gus asked as he carefully cleaned them both off with some tissues that he had in his jeans pocket.

“We’ve gotten used to making love at your dad’s loft and in your bedroom here at your moms’ cottage. Even at your house in Pittsburgh.”

“Yeah, so?”

“If I'm going to visit you at Edna’s Treasures, do you think we can convince your dads to trade in your bunk beds for a real bed?” Ray said with a straight face.

They both cracked up with laughter then rolled around in the grass teasing and kissing.

“My turn,” Ray said after a while as he reached into one of his pant pockets for another condom.

“Yeah,” Gus whispered as he got ready for Ray.



*****



“John? John Anderson, is that you?”

“Hello, Mrs. Wilson, how have you been? And how is Mr. Wilson doing? My mother said he fell off a ladder.”

“He’s doing much better, the damn fool. I told him not to go up there but he wouldn’t listen. Just like a man.”

“Yes, ma’am. What was he doing on the roof of the garage?”

“He was trying to fix a couple of loose shingles. We had one heck of a storm blow through here the other night. We were lucky, not much damage. But my Stanley insisted on taking matters into his own hands.”

“Let me send some of my men around on Tuesday. We’re doing work on the school but we have time for our neighbors.”

“You were always a good boy, John. Claire must be very proud.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“And is this little Bobby Morrison? Aren’t you all grown up and cute as the dickens!”

Brian snorted as Mrs. Wilson, the proprietor of the café, was gushing over Bobby. Justin pushed Brian toward an empty booth in the corner so they could wait for John and Bobby and keep Brian out of trouble. Justin went to the restroom while they waited. There weren’t any lone women in the café so they suspected Samantha hadn’t arrived yet.

“John, you look as handsome as ever!” a tall attractive redhead said as she sat across from Brian in the booth. She had come through the door, spied Brian in the back and made a beeline for him. She swept by John who had his back to the door, still engaged with Mrs. Wilson. “And not a speck of grey hair. Me on the other hand, well I’ll admit a lot of this red comes out of a bottle. I don’t feel old, so why should I be forced to look it.”

Brian nodded but remained silent.

“You never were the talkative type. Your actions always spoke louder than your words. Maybe that’s why I never told you about Grace. And we were so careful,” the woman whispered leaning over to show off her cleavage. Brian didn’t flinch. “But I guess accidents do happen. So what have you been up to? I was so surprised when my mother showed me the article in the Bridgeton Gazette. You’re a local celebrity! First all those paintings, and then donating the proceeds to the Farm like that and now you’re on the school board and fixing up the local schools in the area. But I wasn’t sure what Bobby Morrison had to do with anything. Although mom did say he turned out to be a lawyer. I guess that’s why I never heard anything about him in baseball. Not that I follow sports, but my sister did go to school with his sister. Rachel I think her name is.”

She paused to catch her breath then went on.

“I suppose you heard about my Warren. I met him shortly after I left town. He was my first friend in California. I won’t say he was the love of my life; I think we both know who that was, but he was so good to me. We were married almost immediately. He was so happy when I told him I was pregnant. I didn’t have the heart to tell him that I didn’t think it was his. So I let him go on thinking she was his daughter. He had a heart attack last year. My Grace lives in Europe with her husband; I’m a grandmother! So I decided why stay in California when my parents are here. Warren had very little family, so I just packed up, sold my house and now I’m back.”

Brian still hadn’t said a word while he assumed this woman spilling her guts was Samantha.

“John, I’ve been sitting here for five minutes and you haven’t said one word,” she finally complained. But before Brian could reply the guys suddenly appeared.

“Brian, who’s your friend?” Justin asked as he slid into the booth next to his partner.

“Samantha? Is that you?” John asked.

“This is Samantha?” Bobby asked glaring at the artificial red hair.

“John Anderson?” Samantha said looking up at John then taking another look at Brian who wore a ‘cat that ate the canary grin.’

“Will somebody tell me what’s going on?” Justin asked as Brian cracked up, unable to hold it back any longer.

John just groaned as he sat down on a nearby stool while Bobby glared daggers at the other redhead.



*****



“Hey, Curtis,” JR said into her cell phone. “Just called to see how you were doing.”

“I’m great. I had a good time at the barbecue.”

“Yeah, me too.”

“That Richie kid seemed all right.”

“Yeah, he did his best at soccer.”

“Maybe he’ll turn out to be okay.”

“I hope so for Auntie Emm’s sake,” JR said. “He really seems to love Richie.”

“Yeah, I noticed that.”

“Thank you for playing in the soccer game with him and helping him score. It seemed to be a big boost to his morale,” JR observed.

“I guess it must be pretty tough having your family throw you out,” Curtis said with a tinge of sadness in his voice.

“Almost as tough as having no family at all,” JR replied, knowing how hard it had been for Curtis before he found Dr. Raph and Hector.

“I thought I had to do everything myself,” Curtis said sadly. “I guess I did. I never really got the chance to be a kid … like other kids.”

“But you have since you found your new family,” JR said cheerfully. She hadn’t meant to bring Curtis down.

“Yeah,” was all Curtis said.

“Curtis, I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s okay. I’m fine,” Curtis said quickly. “Are you ready for the end of school dance in a couple weeks?”

“Um,” JR said remembering how happy she had been when Curtis had asked her.

“Is … is something wrong?” Curtis asked, hearing the uncertainty in her voice. “We’re still going, aren’t we?”

“My moms don’t think it would be a good idea.”

“Why not?” Curtis demanded. He had been looking forward to the dance and being with JR for weeks.

“They, um, think I’m too … young,” JR stammered.

“Or is it that they think I’m not suitable, not white enough?” Curtis ranted. “Your mothers are such WASPS.”

“Curtis…”

“I can take a fucking hint. It’s been nice knowing you, JR. Goodbye!”

The line went dead.

JR stared at the phone in her hand. How could she have let this happen? She really liked Curtis, really liked him. And her mothers had told her that they didn’t want her going out with anybody. They didn’t even know that it was Curtis who had asked her to the dance. They just said ‘no’ to her going with a boy, any boy. They wanted her to go with a group of stupid kids.

“Well, fuck them!” JR said aloud as she snapped her phone shut. She was going to the dance with Curtis one way or another.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 3





“John?” Samantha asked again looking at Brian.

“No, Samantha, I’m John. That’s my brother, Brian Kinney.”

“Brian Kinney,” Samantha repeated. Brian smiled then stuck out his hand toward Samantha who automatically took it to shake.

“Your brother. I didn’t know you had a brother.”

“He’ll soon be my late brother if he doesn’t behave himself,” John glared at Brian getting innocent puppy dog eyes in return. Brian also got a poke in the ribs from Justin.

The boys squished over so that John and Bobby could sit.

“You could be twins,” Samantha commented as she looked back and forth at the brothers.

“Kinda like bookends.” Brian waggled his eyebrows, eliciting a pinch. Justin and Bobby were sitting in between the brothers.

“You didn’t have a brother when we were kids,” Samantha was confused.

“And I might not have one for much longer if he keeps it up,” John grumbled. “Honey,” John said out of habit; the boys all turned their heads toward him. Ignoring the looks, John went on. “It’s a long story and one I’d rather not discuss here. You said on the phone you believe Grace is my daughter.”

“Yes, I do. I brought her birth certificate with me,” Samantha said as she fished an official looking document out of her bag.

“May I see that?” Bobby quickly reached out for the certificate. “I’m Bobby Morrison, John’s...lawyer,” Bobby said figuring the situation called for discretion.

“Oh yes, I remember you. My sister went to school with your sister. How is Rachel?”

“She’s doing well. How’s Rose? She and Rachel were quite close in high school. I lost track of her when I moved away to live closer to Penn.”

“She’s fine, living in Pittsburgh now. Apparently she likes the city life. Is this young man your boyfriend?” Samantha asked with a slightly testy tone to her voice as she looked at Justin. She had heard from her sister that Bobby was gay.

Brian snorted then finally spoke up. “This young man,” Brian said as he snaked his arm across Justin’s shoulders, “is my boyfriend. We’ve been together for,” he paused to grab Justin’s wrist pretending to check the watch, “for nineteen years now.”

“Nineteen years? He barely looks nineteen himself! Did you rob the cradle?”

Justin and Bobby broke out into laughter as Brian lost the smug look on his face. John’s mouth twitched.

“I’m Justin Taylor, Brian’s partner, it’s nice to meet you, Ms. Howard,” Justin said politely as he offered his hand to Samantha.

“Nice to meet you, Justin. Are you Justin Taylor … the artist?” Her eyes lit up and her tone sweetened at meeting the celebrated artist.

“Yes, he is,” Brian managed to say.

“This is an honor, but how did you meet John?”

“That isn’t any of your business,” Brian snapped. He was getting tired of trying to remain civil. “Ms. Howard, what do you want?”

“Brian!” Justin scolded. “Ms. Howard, please forgive my partner; he’s very protective of his brother. He just wants what’s best for John. But if you don’t mind, can you tell us why you think John is the father of your daughter and why did it take you all this time to contact him?”

Expectant heads all turned toward Samantha.

“Well, I, my husband, you see...he died and I thought. I’m so lonely and...oh, I knew this was a bad idea!” Samantha burst into tears then ran from the café.

“Shit, I hate when women cry,” Brian said feeling very bad.

“I didn’t mean to make her cry,” Justin said contritely.

“Now, what do we do?” Bobby grumbled.

“I’ll go. Can you order me a coffee and a cup of tea? Oh and a cinnamon bun,” John said as he got up to follow his old flame out. Bobby got the waitress’ eye to place their order. Then they all watched John and Samantha through the window.



*****



“Gus, do you want to live out here?” Ray asked as they lay on their clothes, sunning themselves and holding hands.

“You mean right here at this cottage?”

“Yeah.”

“I hadn’t thought about it. I like this place but it’s a bit out of the way for me. My dad hinted that I’ll be getting the loft after I graduate.”

“Really? Wow!”

“Yeah, my Pop is really cool like that, but if I did want to live in a cottage, I’d like it on my dad’s lane. You know what I mean?” Gus turned over to look at Ray’s face; he was lovingly smiling at Gus. “God, you are so beautiful,” Gus heard himself say. “I love you,” Gus whispered as he rolled onto Ray, settling between the strong sturdy legs. “I don’t want this to ever end,” he said as he searched Ray’s warm dark chocolate brown eyes. “I could stay here forever with you.”

Ray purred under Gus, relishing in the solid weight of him, stroking his back and flanks with his hands. “Forever with you,” he murmured against Gus’ lips.

The boys kissed, merging themselves together. They made love in the field until the sun began to wane.



*****



“Seth, what did you think of Richie?” Jennifer asked as they sat together in their living room enjoying a cocktail.

“Richie?” Seth asked puzzled.

“Yes, you know, Emmett’s new son.”

“I know who he is. I just don’t know why you’re asking what I thought of him. He seemed like a nice enough boy.”

“Did you get a chance to talk to him?”

“Not really, he was too busy playing soccer with that little spitfire granddaughter of yours.”

“She is a force to be reckoned with, isn’t she?” Jennifer chuckled.

Seth nodded and smiled at his wife. “Why are you asking my opinion of Richie? I don’t know much about him at all.”

“You know he was caught cross-dressing by his mother, and that’s what started the whole process of him being turned away by his family.”

“Yes, I guess I knew that, but I never thought much about it.”

“It made me think about Craig. He told Justin he had to change his lifestyle or get out of our home. Justin chose to leave,” Jennifer said sadly.

“That still bothers you, doesn’t it,” Seth said gently. He reached over and squeezed her hand. “Justin has turned out fine, better than fine.”

“I know, and I’m very proud of him, but that’s not the point.” Jennifer sighed. “I always feel that I should have done more to help him, protect him.”

“I’m sure you did what you could.”

“I … I was trying to hold onto my marriage at the expense of my son.”

“Is that how you see it?”

“Yes,” Jennifer said in a whisper. She took a sip of her martini to fortify herself.

“I see a mother with another child, a much younger girl, whom she was trying to protect. You weren’t ready to leave Craig when he and Justin had their differences. Once you had worked everything out, you told the S.O.B. to get lost.”

Jennifer looked over at her husband with tears in her eyes. “You always know the right thing to say.”

“You give me too much credit,” Seth replied, but he squeezed her hand again.

“I suggested to Richie that he should talk to you.”

“Talk to me? Why?”

“Because you are the smartest and most wonderful man that I know.”

“I’m not sure what Richie and I would have to talk about,” Seth said with a little chuckle.

“Life.”

“Seth shook his head. “I’m not sure that we have anything in common … unless you want me to start wearing your panties,” Seth said with a twinkle in his eye.

“Oh, Seth,” Jennifer laughed while blushing bright red. She cleared her throat. “You’re welcome to my panties any time you want to wear them,” Jennifer said with her own twinkle in her eye.

“Maybe we should get back to the topic of Richie,” Seth said with an embarrassed smile.

“I know you have a kind and gentle heart, and you know how to make people feel good about themselves. That’s why I wanted you to talk to the boy.”

“It might not do much good,” Seth said shaking his head.

“It never hurts to have someone speak the truth with you … and be encouraging at the same time.”

“You are a very smart woman,” Seth told his wife. “I wish I was half as good at things as you think I am.”

“I know how good you are. I know you would say the right thing to Richie.”

Seth smiled and sipped his drink. He loved the look in Jennifer’s eyes when she said things like that about him.



*****



“Mama, mommy,” JR said as she walked into the dining room of the house. Her mothers were seated at the dining room table going through the bills like they did every month.

“What is it, sweetheart?” Lindsay asked.

“I really want to go to the dance at school…”

“We said you could go,” Melanie replied quickly.

“I want to go with Curtis,” JR said firmly.

“We told you that you could go with a group of friends, but no date,” Melanie repeated.

“But I promised Curtis,” JR said.

“Then you’ll just have to un-promise,” Melanie stated emphatically.

“But that’s not fair. Lots of my friends are going with boys. I’m not a baby.”

“Then stop acting like one,” Melanie retorted.

“Mel,” Lindsay said to her wife.

“This is not open for discussion,” Melanie replied giving Lindsay a look that told her not to interfere.

“I always thought you were fair, Mama, even though not everyone else thought so. Now I know you’re just like everybody says,” JR cried tears starting down her cheeks.

“Young lady…” Melanie began ominously.

“If I’m a young lady why don’t you trust me to go to the dance with Curtis?” JR demanded.

“You can go with your group of friends, but not with a boy.”

“You mean not with this boy, not with a black boy!” JR shouted.

“He’s just not suitable, JR. You have no idea what you’ll be getting yourself into,” Melanie informed her daughter in no uncertain terms.

“Curtis is the nicest person I know, and I … I like him a lot. I’m going to the dance with him, Mama.”

“You most certainly are not!” Melanie responded.

“Mel…” Lindsay tried again.

“Go to your room, JR. You’re grounded. No dance for you … no dance at all!” Melanie said trying to keep herself under control.

“I hate you! You are a prejudiced, mean bitch!” JR screamed before she ran out of the room. She locked herself in her bedroom and sank to the floor sobbing. She had the most evil mother in the whole damn world.

“Mel, that was ridiculous,” Lindsay said when JR had disappeared from view. “Why can’t she go to the dance with that boy? She’s perfectly right that she’s not a baby.”

“Don’t take her side, Lindsay, just don’t!” Melanie said in a tone of voice that warned Lindsay to be very careful.

“I’m not taking her side. I happen to agree with her that you’re not being fair. They’re just kids and there’s nothing wrong with them going to a dance together.”

“There’s lots wrong with it. You know that as well as I do. Curtis is a nice enough boy, but mixed race couples are just asking for trouble.”

“Like gays and lesbians.”

“Wha…What?” Melanie asked with a frown.

“You’re treating Curtis like he represents all the stereotypes ever assigned to a black person. Curtis is a fine young man.”

“Who came into this family after he mugged your precious Brian Kinney,” Melanie reminded her. “He was a hoodlum, like so many blacks.”

“I … I can’t believe you’re saying this. You helped get him into the family he has now. You know what he went through as a child.”

“And I don’t want my daughter to have to deal with the consequences of what that childhood probably did to the lad,” Melanie said stubbornly.

“They’re not getting married, Mel. They just want to go to a dance together.”

“And what comes next?”

“Nobody can answer that,” Lindsay said.

Melanie snorted. “Yeah, right, so just let our daughter do whatever the fuck she wants to do.”

“I didn’t say that,” Lindsay replied. “But I think you’re carrying this too far.”

“You know deep down you agree with me. Don’t be a hypocrite, Lindsay.”

“Me – the hypocrite! What about you? You work with kids like Curtis and help them get decent lives, and deep down you think they’re not good enough for our daughter to be seen with.”

“Curtis has seen a lot of JR. I just don’t want them dating.”

“You really need to think about this, Mel. When you tell kids they can’t do something, that’s exactly what they do.”

“Not in this case,” Melanie stated. “She’s grounded.”

“Give a little, Mel, please, before you make this worse.”

“I’m just protecting my daughter, and that’s all there is to it.” Melanie walked to the front door of the house. She needed to go for a walk before she did something she might regret.

In her room, JR picked up her cell phone and hit the speed dial. When the phone was picked up, she sobbed and managed to say, “Uncle Brian, I need your help…”



*****



The boys watched John and Samantha through the window of the café. She was obviously distraught and crying, John was his usual gallant self with just a touch of something more that they couldn’t put their fingers on.

“I didn’t know John likes cinnamon buns?” Justin murmured.

“He doesn’t normally,” Bobby confirmed.

“Then who’s the bun for?” Justin asked as the waitress delivered their orders. Bobby got a weird look on his face. They all turned their heads back toward the window.

“Honey, what is it?” John asked as he took Samantha in his arms to comfort her.

“I thought...”

“You thought what? You’d come back here after thirty plus years and find me waiting?”

Samantha slightly nodded her head. Instead of being angry or shocked, John smiled.

“Baby, we were kids, and yes, if I had known or even suspected that I fathered your child, I would have dropped everything to be with you. But I didn’t know. I tried to get in touch with you. I spoke with your father several times but he gave me the impression that you were done with me and happy out in California. And I had to return to college. I missed you but I thought you moved on and so I had to as well. I asked about you and so did my mother; we both got the same responses. After a while we stopped asking.”

“Are you really gay?”

“Sweetheart, I don’t have a label for what I am. I loved you. I loved being with you. Was I in love with you? I’m not sure. I was nineteen! How much does a nineteen year old boy know about love? But I did care. And I’ll admit, I never found another woman that I cared about more than you, but I wasn’t really happy. I thought that’s what was expected of me back then. You meet the right woman, fall in love then start a family. Then all of a sudden in swept Brian and Justin and my whole world was turned upside down. For most of my life it was just my mother and me; we then found ourselves in the midst of this huge family. We are so loved by them and no longer alone. And then I found Bobby.”

John stopped to laugh. Samantha gave him a curious look.

“No, that’s not right. Bobby was there, flirting with Brian, making Justin jealous, the next thing I knew I was in Bobby's arms. He made me feel like I’ve never felt before. I was whole and in love. He’s my whole life, Samantha.”

More tears ran down Samantha’s face.

“I’m sorry, Baby. I don’t mean to hurt you.”

“It’s okay; it’s just a bit of a shock. I should have been honest with you when I left, and now ... you were always such a man’s man. I’m having a difficult time adjusting.”

“You don’t have to adjust. I’m surprised you haven’t hauled off and slugged me,” John smirked. “As I recall, you had a good left hook.”

“I still do,” Samantha laughed. “But like you said, I was gone for over thirty years and without ever explaining. What were you supposed to do? God, thirty years! Where did it all go to? I don’t feel like I’m in my fifties.”

“Sweetheart, you don’t look a day over thirty-five. You’re still that beautiful young woman that used to make me forget my name.”

“And you’re still a handsome, macho cowboy.”

“Let this macho cowboy buy you a cinnamon bun and a cup of tea.”

“You remembered!”

“How can I forget? That left hook of yours was a powerful reminder.” Samantha laughed as John took her hand to lead her back into the café.

The boys tensed as John and Samantha walked back inside. John handed Samantha into the booth, sliding the tea and bun over to her as he sat down. The boys watched every move he made. The smug look was back in Brian’s eyes as he watched their latest drama unfold. Justin’s ocean blue eyes that normally looked upon John with love and a sort of parental admiration were now expectant. John noted that the tips of Justin’s fingers were resting on Bobby’s arm in support.

Bobby was worried although it was well hidden under that cool objective attorney exterior. John knew that Bobby was worried and maybe just a little angry, if the iciness in Bobby's blue-grey eyes was any indication.

“Babe?” John began.

“Yes?” both Bobby and Samantha answered. John choked down some of his coffee.

“Samantha, do you have a picture of Grace?”

“Oh yes,” Samantha quickly replied like any proud parent. She went into her bag and took out a large envelope that contained her daughter’s life in pictures. “She’s an architect, you know. She’s been inspired by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. She designs office buildings and homes in Europe,” Samantha gushed.

Bobby and Justin softly groaned.

“Do you have children?” Samantha asked as she took a nibble of her bun.

Bobby fished out several pictures from his wallet as did John. Brian slid one over that he always carried. It was the picture of him holding the infant Patrick in his arms. The one that got him teased by his Kinnetik staff when they were having a meeting regarding the plans for Part Deux.

Samantha gasped.

“What is it, Honey?” John asked gently as the tears began to flow again.

“Is that you?”

“No, that’s Brian holding Patrick. Patrick is Bobby and my son. Why?”

“Brian looks exactly like you when we first met. And Patrick, he...” Samantha took out another photo, one that wasn’t in the envelope. “This is Warren, my late husband and Grace.”

John nearly stopped breathing as he gazed down at the photograph in his hand. Warren was the typical proud father holding his newborn child, a red-headed child.

“Brian, did Jack ever spend time in California?” John deadpanned as he handed the somewhat grainy photo over to Brian. Brian took the picture and stared. Although the photo was of poor quality, he could still make out the young man with brown hair and tanned complexion holding the sleeping baby.

Before Brian could comment, his cell phone rang.

“Excuse me,” Brian said as he debated answering for a second until he recognized the number.

“Hello, JR.”

“Uncle Brian, I need your help. My mother’s being a bitch.”

“That’s nothing new,” Brian mumbled. “What’s she done now?”

“She won’t let me go to the school dance with Curtis.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s black and she’s a prejudiced dyke.”

“Jenny Rebecca, she’s your mother,” Brian said in a very parental tone that surprised the boys as well as himself. “I may not always agree with Mel…” He paused due to the groans, snorts and rolling of the eyes from his audience. “But she is your parent. What do you want me to do about it?”

“Talk to her. Please, Uncle Bri. Maybe she’ll listen to you.”

“JR, your mother has never listened to me before. What makes you think she will now?”

“I don’t know. Pleeezzz!”

“Okay, I’ll see what I can do. Maybe I’ll send Uncle John. He seems to have a way with women,” Brian snarked.

“Whatever. Just do it fast; the dance is in a week,” JR said as she snapped her phone shut.

“Yes, ma’am,” Brian mumbled to no one.

“What’s going on?” Justin asked.

“Nothing, just Mel being her typical intolerant self. And I have had enough of women for the day. There’s a reason why I’m gay, and right now the only female company I prefer is that of our daughter. Samantha, you seem like a nice woman and I don’t want to be rude but here’s the bottom line. My brother and his life partner have been in a committed relationship for twelve years now. Their son will be ten this year. If Grace turns out to be John’s daughter then we’ll welcome her into our cwazy wittle family if she so desires. If not then we have nothing more to discuss.

“I think you want proof one way or the other,” Brian said as he studied Samantha’s eyes. “Do you have something in that bag of yours that a lab can get DNA from?”

“I have Gracie’s baby teeth,” Samantha admitted.

If the boys were embarrassed or outraged by Brian taking charge, again, no one made a peep. Bobby appeared to be a little relieved.

“Bobby, call your father, his office is close by. We can have this all solved in a few weeks.”

No one objected as Bobby took out his phone and calmly spoke to his father. Within an hour and a half, the boys were back on the road toward Edna’s Treasures.

“John, I need you to go by muncherville before we go home,” Brian commanded as they were approaching the turn off. John said nothing as he made the turn to go to the girls’ cottage instead of their lane.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 4





John pulled his Navigator to a stop on the road outside the munchers’ cottage. He turned off the key and looked into the back seat at his brother.

“Well?” he said.

“JR has a little problem,” Brian began.

“What’s up with our little miss?” John asked with a frown. Even though he had his own set of problems to deal with, he didn’t like the idea of JR being in some kind of trouble.

“Our little miss is growing up,” Brian said carefully. He was debating whether he should tell John the whole story before they went into the cottage, or let him find out as things were revealed. After a pause he decided on the latter.

“What do you mean – growing up?” Bobby asked.

“Dating,” Brian replied.

“Dating?” John repeated. “I can’t believe she’s old enough for that.”

“Her mother doesn’t think so either,” Brian stated.

“You must mean Melanie.”

“Right on the first try.”

“So what are we doing here?” John asked.

“That was JR on the phone at the diner. She wants our help,” Brian explained.

“Our help … or your help?” Justin asked knowingly.

“Um … she called me,” Brian admitted, “but I’m sure she would like all the help she can get.”

“So, exactly what is the nature of this dating problem?” Bobby asked.

“Why don’t we just go inside and see what develops?” Brian suggested.

John, Bobby and Justin all tossed him a look, but when Brian didn’t say anything else, they all got out of the SUV and headed to the door of the cottage. Brian knocked on the door which was answered quickly by Lindsay.

“Brian?” she said. Then, “Justin? John? Bobby?” as all the men made their way past her into the cottage. “What are all of you doing here?”

“What’s going on?” Melanie asked as she came out of her office. “Where the hell did all of you come from?”

“What a warm and gracious greeting,” Brian snarked.

“Can it, Kinney.”

“We are your neighbors,” Justin said with a cheery smile. “We just thought we’d stop by.”

“What the fuck do you want, Kinney?” Melanie asked glaring at Brian, and ignoring Justin.

“Why are you picking on me?” Brian asked trying to appear innocent. “There’s four of us here.”

“Yeah and you’re the one who brought them.”

Brian glowered, but then said, “JR called me. She’s very upset.”

“It’s none of your fucking business,” Melanie said through gritted teeth.

“It is when I get a call for help,” Brian retorted.

“JR, get out here!” Melanie shouted.

“Mel,” Lindsay said.

“We’re having this out here and now,” Melanie snapped, cutting her off.

“Yes, Mama,” JR said as she entered the room. She looked pale and scared.

“What do you think you’re pulling calling your Uncle Brian when things don’t go your way? You’re totally out of line, young lady,” Melanie told her daughter.

“Mel,” Lindsay said trying to smooth things over as she always did.

“Stay out of this, Lindsay,” Melanie retorted. “This is my daughter and I’ll deal with her.”

Lindsay opened her mouth to refute that statement, but before she could, Brian took Melanie’s arm and propelled her toward her office, slamming the door behind them.

“What should we do?” Justin asked with a worried look on his face.

“Wait and see who emerges triumphant,” Bobby suggested.

“Stay out of it,” John wisely counseled. “JR, come over here and tell me what happened.” JR joined her uncle on the sofa and started into the long story about Curtis and the dance and what Melanie had said, and how her mother had grounded her.

“Hey, did we miss a party?” Gus asked as he and Ray walked in from outside. Then he looked at JR’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“Sit,” Justin said. “It’s a bit of a family crisis, and you might as well hear the whole sordid tale.”

They could hear raised voices from Melanie’s office, but couldn’t really make out any words.

“Should … should I go in there?” Lindsay asked, looking like that would be the absolute last thing she would want to do.

“I’d stay out of it if I were you,” Bobby advised.

Lindsay nodded, liking the out that Bobby had just provided. “I think I’ll stay where I am.”

JR started into her story again so that Gus and Ray would know what was going on.

Inside Melanie’s office, Melanie was pacing back and forth and ranting about how Brian should keep his fucking nose of her business. Then she started in with how Brian and Justin led such protected and privileged lives, and couldn’t understand what it was like out in the real world. Brian had let her do most of the talking up to this point. He felt she needed to have her say before he tried to argue with her. But when she started on about how he and Justin didn’t understand the real world, he had to interrupt.

“Whoa!” he said holding up his hand. “You have your opinions about things, and I’m prepared to listen to them, but don’t start telling me that I don’t know the real world. I live in it every day and I understand what’s going on.”

“The fuck you do! That Curtis kid mugged you. Do you even remember that? He was a little hooligan, and you want that dating my daughter? I don’t think so!”

“The operative word out of what you just said is ‘was’, Mel. Curtis was a scared, lonely kid trying to survive on the streets all by himself. He did what he had to do.”

“So you condone cutting people with a knife and stealing their money.”

“Of course I don’t. Don’t be ridiculous. I never said any such thing. But Curtis would never have done those things if he had any other choice. You just spent the day with him at the barbecue. Did he look or act like a fucking hooligan?”

“Even if he is a nice kid at heart, he’s still black,” Melanie finally stated.

“And another prejudice rears its ugly head.”

“I am not prejudiced!” Melanie responded emphatically.

“What the fuck would you call it?”

“I don’t want my daughter dating someone that’s going to put her in potential danger.”

“Danger?” Brian asked with a frown. “What are you talking about?”

“The real world still contains people who don’t like mixed race couples, who have been known to attack those couples. I don’t want JR put in that position.”

“For Christ’s sake, Mel, JR likes this kid. They’re not going to run away and get married. They just want to go to a fucking high school dance together. It will be fully supervised.”

“And wasn’t Justin’s prom fully supervised?”

Brian felt like Melanie had stuck a knife in his gut. Anger boiled up inside him. He’d like to take Melanie’s fucking loud mouth and shove it in the toilet where it belonged. He swallowed hard and counted to ten before answering.

“That was uncalled for,” he said softly but with an edge to his voice that could frighten even the most bold.

Melanie blanched when she heard his tone. If he had shouted at her, she had her retort all ready. But his voice made her reconsider. “I … I shouldn’t have said that,” she admitted. “But you see why I’m worried.”

“So, are you going to hold JR’s hand until she’s a lonely, old spinster in twenty or thirty years?”

“My daughter will not be a lonely, old spinster,” Melanie stated forcefully.

“She will, if you don’t allow her to live her life. She’s not asking to do anything that any other girl might ask to do. Let her be a teenager. Let her be carefree and happy. You know kids always do exactly what you tell them they can’t do,” Brian informed her. “She’ll sneak out and go to that dance anyway. You’ll lose her trust for good.”

“You’re full of shit, Kinney. I’m her mother. She loves me. She always will.”

“Like I loved my mother for so many years,” Brian said bitterly. “Like Lindsay loves her parents who have never really acknowledged you or Gus or JR as their grandchildren. It’s a fine future you’re creating for your family, and a sure way for everyone to end up bitter and alone. I’m done here,” Brian stated as he walked to the door and pulled it open.

All the faces looked at him expectantly as he entered the main room of the cottage. He shook his head to indicate he had failed.

Melanie followed him out of the office. She looked at all the people who were assembled there because her daughter had put out a distress call. It gave her pause.

“Mama,” Gus said gently. “I hope you don’t mind my two cents worth, but I think you should let JR go to the dance with Curtis. They’re awful cute together.” He gave his mother his best smile and a wink.

“I think so too,” Ray chimed in, “not that I have any say.”

“I agree,” Justin piped up.

“Me too,” Bobby said.

“And I want to say that if you’re smart, and I know you are,” John said with a smile and wink of his own, “you’ll take to heart whatever my brilliant brother told you.”

“I have to agree with everyone else,” Lindsay said taking her cue from the others.

“Looks like I’m slightly outnumbered,” Melanie said shaking her head.

“You never let that stop you before,” Brian couldn’t help but add, the sarcasm clear in his voice.

“Maybe I should reconsider,” Melanie said softly. “I just want what’s best for my daughter.”

“And she should have some say in what that is,” John added hoping they were finally getting through to Melanie.

“You really want to go to the dance with Curtis?” Melanie asked her daughter knowing full well that was what JR had wanted all along.

“Yes, Mama, I really want to go with him.”

“And you promise to obey your curfew and be very careful, and no … funny business?”

“Yes, Mama, I promise,” JR said crossing her heart and holding up her hand.

“Then … I guess you can go,” Melanie stated.

“With Curtis?” JR squealed.

“With Curtis.”

“Oh, thank you, Mama,” JR screeched before running across the room and throwing herself into Melanie’s arms. “Thank you, thank you, thank you,” she repeated. “I love you, Mama.”

“I love you too, sweetheart. I just want you to be happy and … safe.”

“I’ll be really careful, Mama, and Curtis will look after me.”

Melanie hugged her daughter hard, as tears appeared in both their eyes.

“Looks like our work here is done,” Brian said heading for the door.

“Took enough of you to accomplish it,” Melanie taunted him as they all started out of the cottage.

“I always bring my A team,” Brian replied with a chuckle, and a wink to JR.

JR squirmed out of her mother’s embrace. She ran out the door after the men and caught her Uncle Brian’s arm. “Thank you,” she said sincerely giving him a big hug.

“This was a tough one,” Brian whispered, “but I’m glad it turned out this way.”

“Me too.”

“See ya, Pop,” Gus called from the doorway.

“Thanks, Brian,” Lindsay said with a wave as the men all piled into John’s SUV.

John started the car and they pulled away from the cottage.

“I’m glad that’s over,” Brian said leaning his head against Justin’s.

“Took a lot out of you, didn’t it?” Justin asked.

“That woman is impossible,” Brian stated.

“But you made the impossible happen,” John said looking in the rearview mirror to see his brother. They both smiled when their eyes met.

“Chalk one up for the good guys,” Brian said with a sigh.

“Better not let Mel hear you say that,” Bobby laughed.

“None of you better fucking tell her,” Brian informed them with a glare, before closing his eyes and letting Justin hold him tight.



*****



When the boys made it back to Edna’s Treasures, they were greeted by a note taped to Brian and Justin’s door.

“What’s it say, Sunshine?”

“It’s from Emmett. Rachel took the kids down there. They decided to have a camp out,” Justin said.

“And just where do they intend to camp out?” John asked as he gratefully accepted a cold brew from Brian. Brian handed out beers to Justin and Bobby as well.

“In the Emmett’s backyard. Drew is testing out some new camping equipment on the kids,” Justin explained as he waved around the note. Brian broke out into giggles.

“I’m getting some weird image of Emmett in some sort of fuchsia pj’s snuggling into a bright purple sleeping bag,” Brian laughed; the guys joined in. They all needed to laugh. “So do we let the Squirt camp out with the boys?”

“I don’t see why not,” Bobby spoke up. “She’s a tough little cookie and you know the Emmett and Drew wouldn’t let anything happen to her. And I’m sure Beau will protect her.”

“Yes, but who’s going to protect the boys?” John quipped and they all laughed again.

“I just don’t get Melanie,” Bobby said sadly when they all quieted down. Brian filled an ice bucket with ice and more beers while Justin took out a tray of Emmett’s snacks to reheat. They had plenty of leftovers to nosh on.

“She’s an advocate for the underprivileged and she’s always doing battle for her LGBT clients. How can she be so discriminatory against the very child she fought for? It doesn’t make any sense,” Bobby said as he sat in one of the oversized chairs in Brian and Justin’s living room. He had had enough of the sun porch and wide open spaces. Right now Bobby needed to be warm and cozy. He squished over as John sat with him.

“JR is a very sensible young lady,” John said. “She hasn’t done anything foolish to make Melanie distrust her. And Curtis has more than redeemed himself. What’s her beef?”

“She’s a fucking cunt,” Brian said quickly and then shook his head apologetically. “And I don’t know why I let her get under my skin.”

“You both have a lot in common,” Justin said gently. “But you’ve learned and grown over the years,” he added quickly to take away the sting of his words. “I think Melanie gets stuck sometimes in old arguments and habits. She certainly has a double standard when it comes to herself and her children. I’m surprised she’s taking Gus’ relationship with Ray so well.”

“She isn't,” Brian added as he took the tray of hors d’ oeuvres out of the microwave to plate them then he brought them into the living room.

“What do you mean, Bri? Ray’s been staying with them. It’s obvious they’re sleeping together,” Justin commented.

“Did you notice the way Mel was watching them yesterday? I thought she was going to get whiplash. One minute she was glaring at Ray, the next she was spying on JR.” Brian explained.

“I’m surprised you noticed anything but my crew,” John snarked.

“Oh, ha ha. A little innocent flirtation never hurt anyone and it was innocent.” Brian directed his last comment at Justin. Justin leaned over to give Brian a kiss. “Besides, your boys needed a little thrill.”

“I wasn’t really worried,” Justin whispered. Brian kissed his forehead.

“I don’t think any partner, straight, gay, black, white, purple, rich or poor will be good enough for Mel’s kids. And on some level I can understand that,” Brian candidly admitted. “However, everyone deserves a second chance. Some of us have had thirds and fourths,” Brian murmured.

“Including Melanie,” John added. “How many times has she fucked up her marriage and then had you work some miracle to fix it? She’s too full of herself. JR is a very sensitive young lady, if Mel’s not careful, her pride is going to get JR hurt,” John said vehemently.

The boys silently agreed with him.



*****



“Curtis, it’s JR again. Please call me back,” JR said sadly to his voicemail. It was the fourth message she had left. She had been trying to reach Curtis ever since her uncles left their cottage.

JR flopped back onto her bed, her cell phone still in her hand, and tears streaming down.

“Go away,” she whined at the gentle knock on her door.

“Please JR, it’s me,” Gus said through the door.

She sighed; at least it wasn’t her mother. “Come in.”

“Hey,” Gus said as he laid down next to her.

“Hey.”

“What’s wrong?”

“Curtis won’t return my calls. I’ve left four messages so far.”

“On his cell?”

“Yeah.”

“Try the house number.”

“But, what I got to say is sorta private,” JR said with a blush to her cheeks.

“You don’t have to say anything personal, just start talking. If he’s there, he’ll pick up.”

“How can you be so sure?”

“Because no guy can stand to hear his girlfriend crying on the phone.”

“But I’m not his girlfriend and how do you know I’m going to cry?”

“Because you’re crying now. And you’re a girl and you’re Curtis’ friend.”

JR swatted her brother’s arm.

“What do you have to lose?” Gus asked.

JR considered it for a moment. “Okay, I’ll try. Can’t make it any worse,” she grumbled as she flipped open her cell to search for Curtis’ home number. JR dialed then reached out to hold her brother’s hand for luck. The answering machine picked up after the fourth ring.

“Um, hi, this is JR. Curtis, if you’re there, could you please pick up?” JR said trying to be brave but her bravado was wavering and she began to cry. “Curtis, I’m really sorry if I hurt your feelings. My mama can get stubborn sometimes but if you still want....”

“Hello,” Curtis said hastily into the phone. He sounded like he was running.

“Hi,” JR sniffled. “I’m really sorry and if you still want to go to the dance with me I got permission to go.”

“You did?”

“Yes,” JR said almost pitifully.

“Please don’t cry.”

“I’m not,” she sniffled again.

“I really like you. You and Gus and Bree were my first friends, and Miss Melanie, she helped me a lot. I thought you liked me too.”

“I do. My mother just doesn’t understand. She thinks you’re my boyfriend.”

“I’d like to be but...”

“But what?”

“I don’t like labels. Boyfriend, girlfriend, gay, straight, I just want to be friends. I want to be able to go with you to the dance and have some fun before things get too serious. Do you understand? I was thinking a lot about what you said about Richie.” Curtis’ conversation was a bit convoluted but JR seemed to understand.

“Yeah?”

“He’s really nice, a little shy but I realized why. I felt the same way when I was first introduced to your family.”

“Sometimes we are too much to handle,” JR giggled, her tears all but drying up.

“Can we start all over again? About the dance, I mean.”

“I think I’d like that.”

“Miss JR, would you like to go with me to the school dance?”

“Yes, I’d like that. Curtis, I really am sorry about everything.”

“So am I. I jumped to conclusions and I shouldn’t have. Miss Melanie is just being a...”

“A bitch?” JR said before she engaged her brain. Gus squeezed her hand and scowled.

“I was going to say, a mom. You’re her little girl.”

“How come you’re so smart?”

“Just lucky, I guess. Dr. Raph and Hector are calling me to dinner. I’ll see you in school on Tuesday.”

“Okay, and thank you for answering the phone.”

“You’re welcome,” Curtis said just before they ended their conversation.

“Sooo?” Gus asked, shaking his sister’s hand.

“So I have a date for the dance!”

“Yes!” Gus said raising their joined hands into the air in triumph.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 5





“Auntie Emm, can I have another Smore?” Bree asked as the group of would-be campers was sitting around the campfire in Emmett’s backyard.

“You certainly may, Princess Bree.” Emmett quickly melted a marshmallow in the fire and placed it between the graham crackers with a little piece of milk chocolate. He squished the whole thing together. “Be careful because the marshmallow is hot,” he told her as he handed the gooey confection to her.

“Yummy,” Bree said as she nibbled carefully at the edges.

“I’ll have another one too, please,” Patrick said.

“I’ll make it for you,” George offered. He and Rachel were sitting around the campfire with Emmett, Drew, Richie, and the two younger children.

“Can I make another one?” Richie asked.

“You certainly may,” Emmett said happily skewering a marshmallow on a stick for his new son.

“So, are you ready to sleep out in the wild tonight?” Drew asked the children.

“It’s not wild, Unca Drew,” Bree said. “It’s your yard.”

“I am, if Beau can stay with us,” Patrick stated.

“Yeah,” Bree agreed, “we need Beau.”

Beau gave a little woof at the mention of his name.

“I think my daddies should come and sleep here too,” Bree stated. “Do you have another tent, Unca Drew?”

“’Fraid not,” Drew said. He would love to see Brian Kinney sleeping on his lawn. That would make a good story in the family. But that lucky so-and-so, Kinney, was off the hook because he didn’t have another tent and sleeping bags.

“Where are our dads?” Patrick asked.

“I think they’re probably home by now,” Emmett said.

“Maybe they would like to come for some Smores,” Richie suggested.

“And maybe they’d like some time alone,” Rachel said with a wink at Emmett.

Bree frowned. “Don’t my daddies like being with me?” she asked.

“Oh sweetheart,” Rachel said quickly. “Of course they love being with you, but sometimes it’s nice to have some time with other adults.”

“What’s so good about adults?” Bree demanded.

“I think we’ll leave that one for you to field, Emmett,” Rachel said standing up. “It’s time for George and me to go home.”

“Can’t you stay, Auntie Rachel?” Bree asked batting her eyelashes at her aunt.

“No, sweetheart. This is your camping adventure. We’ll see you tomorrow.”

“How come I always get stuck with men?” Bree demanded crossing her arms over her chest and pouting a la Unca Mikey.

The adults laughed and Patrick looked proud to be included in the “men” category. Richie looked baffled. George and Rachel kissed the petite blond and the stalwart redhead goodnight, before Emmett and Drew walked them around the house to the lane.

“What do you mean that you get stuck with men?” Richie asked as he licked his fingers with the last of his Smore.

“Nobody ever brings any girls for me to play with,” Bree pouted. “Taylor was apposed to be a girl and he turned out to be a boy. Curtis is a boy and so are you. I want a girl.”

“Oh,” Richie said not sure what to say in response to that.

“Bree has been the only girl around here for a long time. Auntie Rachel’s daughters are all grown up now, and we don’t see them so much,” Patrick explained.

“And you’d like more girls to play with?” Richie asked.

“She makes me play tea party sometimes,” Patrick said shaking his head.

“And you won’t play with me no more,” Bree said glaring at her cousin.

“I wouldn’t mind playing tea party with you,” Richie volunteered.

Bree’s face lit up. “Really?”

“Sure, I think it would be fun. I never got to do anything like that at home,” Richie said.

Patrick’s mouth had dropped open at Richie’s offer. “You like girlie things?” he asked in disbelief.

“It’s not a girlie thing. It’s tea,” Richie stated. “I like tea.”

“Me too,” Bree agreed with a big smile.

“Okay, princes and princess, time to hit the sleeping bags,” Emmett said clapping his hands as he came around the side of his cottage.

“Let’s get settled,” Drew suggested. “Patrick, you and Bree and Beau will be in the smaller tent. Richie you’ll be in this one with me and Emmett.”

“Are you sure you want to be with Patrick?” Emmett asked the little girl. “I’m sure Richie and Patrick could share, and you could sleep with Drew and me.”

“Patrick and Beau will look after me,” Bree said confidently, earning a big smile from Patrick and a little woof from Beau.

“Then let’s hit the hay,” Drew said.

“I need to brush my teeth,” Bree informed them. “Smores are real sticky.”

“True,” Emmett chuckled. “Come with me and we’ll get those teeth all cleaned up.”

“I think I have another tooth that’s going to fall out,” Bree whispered as she took Emmett’s hand and they started into the cottage.

“If it falls out, you better save it for your daddies. They’ll want it.”

“So will the tooth fairy,” Bree added.

“Of course, the tooth fairy,” Emmett agreed as they disappeared into the house.



*****



“Do you think we should go down to Emmett’s and make sure Bree’s okay?” Brian asked.

The men were still sitting around in the living room, having had a couple of beers and something to eat. They had enjoyed the male camaraderie and raking Melanie over the coals. That woman could be the source of more conversation than any ten other people.

“I’m sure she’s fine,” John said.

“She has Patrick and Beau to keep her company,” Bobby supplied. “And Emmett, Drew and Richie to supervise them all.”

“That instills confidence,” Brian replied, the sarcasm clear in his voice.

“She’ll be fine,” Justin said patting Brian’s arm. “If she needs anything, we’re just up the lane.”

“I know, but…” Brian didn’t finish his statement.

“I think it’s time for bed,” John said standing up.

“Me too,” Bobby replied with a waggle of his eyebrows. “We can make as much noise as we want.”

John laughed as he took Bobby’s hand and they headed for their side of the cottages.

“Maybe we should take advantage of our child free time,” Justin suggested looking into Brian’s hazel eyes. His own were growing dark with lust.

“I … sure,” Brian said deciding that Bree would be fine with the big fairy and everyone else down at Emmett’s.



*****



“Do you think the kids are asleep?” Emmett whispered in Drew’s ear. They were sharing a big sleeping bag.

“I bet they conked out long ago,” Drew replied as he pulled Emmett close. The two men snuggled down into the sleeping bag.

“Richie’s out like a light,” Emmett said looking over at their new son as he slept on the other side of the large tent.

“And so are Bree and Patrick, I’m sure,” Drew assured his husband.



*****



Brian looked over at Justin who was sleeping peacefully beside him. They had had a rather inspired bout of lovemaking and then some down and dirty sex. Brian smiled to himself. He would never get enough of Justin Taylor.

Rolling onto his back, Brian stared up at the ceiling of their bedroom. ‘Why can’t I sleep?’ he asked himself. Usually after fucking Justin into the mattress he slept like a baby, a very large, happy, naughty baby. That brought another smile to his lips. With a sigh Brian closed his eyes and willed himself to sleep.

After several minutes, he opened his eyes again. This wasn’t working. Brian slid out of bed, grabbing some sweats to throw on. He walked out into the sun porch knowing where he was going, as soon as he left the house. He slipped on his gardening shoes that were by the sun porch door and quietly let himself out of the house. He walked down the lane, heading for Emmett’s.

When he reached the front gate, he opened it and stepped inside the front yard. He made his way quietly around the house to the point where he could see the two tents set up in the backyard. He walked over to the largest tent and unzipped a bit of the flap so he could look inside. Drew and Emmett were sleeping curled up against each other, and Richie slept peacefully in his own sleeping bag.

Not finding the object of his search, Brian moved over to the other tent. He unzipped the front all the way around and crawled into the tent. Beau raised his head and gave a wag of his tail. Brian patted the dog’s head. Patrick slept on oblivious to the intruder.

Brian studied Bree’s face as she slept. She looked so beautiful. She always looked beautiful to him. He leaned over and kissed her cheek.

He was about to leave the tent, when she said, “I love you, Dada.”

“Did I wake you up?” Brian asked.

“It’s okay. I missed your goodnight kiss.”

“Me too,” Brian said with a smile. “Are you okay sleeping out here?”

“I’m fine, Dada.”

“Good girl.”

“I’m glad you came to check on me.”

“Me too.”

“Night, Dada.”

“Night, Squirt.”

“Kiss Daddy for me.”

“I will,” Brian whispered as he zipped up the flap and headed back home, knowing that now he would be able to sleep.



*****



“What’s got your knickers in a bunch this morning?” Bobby asked as he strolled into the Kinney-Taylor side of the conjoined cottages with his favorite mug in hand seeking the coffee his nose confirmed had been brewed.

Brian grumbled something unintelligible while he filled Bobby’s mug then topped off his own. He sat on one of the stools and uncharacteristically pouted.

“Okay, now I know something’s not right when Brian Kinney pouts. Spill,” Bobby demanded as he sat next to him.

“It’s quiet,” Brian mumbled.

“Yeah, and…? You like quiet, you are the king of quiet.” Bobby waited for further explanation from tall dark and quiet. Getting none, his investigative instincts kicked in. Taking a few more sips of coffee, Bobby began to formulate his theory regarding Brian’s current state of ‘poutiness.’

“Shall I postulate?” Brian offered a royal wave which encouraged Bobby to continue. “It’s Tuesday mid-morning after a very hectic if not somewhat tense weekend of hosting hundreds at one of our usual ‘intimate’ gatherings where we mingled with Emmett’s new foster son, watched you give your old cruising techniques an airing and learned that my very careful and correct spouse may have a thirty-something ‘oops’, living in England.”

Brian said nothing so Bobby went on.

“We have also learned that your mother is a very sneaky old broad. Instead of allowing you to escort her back to Pittsburgh, she and your sister left on their own. Justin took the kids to school and then is going to spend the rest of the day in Pittsburgh mediating between Michael and Lacy. Who, from what I understand, can argue over Rage just as well as Justin and Michael ever did. John is out doing his construction thing including checking out the Wilson’s garage like he promised. We have also discovered that the princess is very capable of spending a night out with the boys without her Dada.”

Bobby’s last statement got no reaction other than a slightly raised eyebrow. Bobby smirked. “Ah ha!” Bobby loudly exclaimed with an exaggerated rise of a pointed finger. “Elementary, my dear Kinney. You are feeling unneeded and otherwise redundant.”

Brian sighed.

Bobby giggled.

Brian scowled.

“Why didn’t you drive into the Pitts with Justin and terrorize Kinnetik for a while?”

Brian shrugged his shoulders. “I didn’t feel like it,” Brian mumbled.

“What was that?”

“I didn’t feel like it,” Brian enunciated, feeling sorry for himself.

“Why?” Brian shrugged again. “I think you’re beginning to behave like an unappreciated housewife.”

Brian shot Bobby a death glare.

“Now there’s the Brian Kinney we all know and...love,” Bobby teased.

Brian refilled Bobby’s mug. “Why are you home? Have the citizens of our fair commonwealth decided that we no longer have any need for red-headed annoying fag lawyers?” Brian snarked.

“On the contrary, I am highly prized and in demand,” Bobby said with an air of haughtiness, giving just as good as he got. “However, I’m tired, Bri,” Bobby said softly, dropping all pretense. “I have more than enough time owed to me. I deserve a break.”

“I agree. You could own that firm if you wanted to.”

“Probably, but I don’t want the headache. I’m very happy with my place in the legal world. I just needed some quiet ‘me time’.” Brian searched his brother-in-law’s handsome face. “I’m fine, really.”

“You’d tell us if something was wrong, wouldn’t you?” Brian whispered as he drew the smaller man into his arms. Bobby fit almost as well as Justin did.

“I would. I promise.”

“You and John deserve a real vacation,” Brian said as he released Bobby. “Away from here. We’d look after Little Red for you.”

“I know and I’m toying with that very idea. I’ve been conspiring with Gordon.”

Brian smiled; he liked John’s big bear of a business partner. “Gordon could use his own time off.”

“Probably but he has his own ways of powering down. Betsie sees to that,” Bobby chuckled.

“I bet she puts him to work in her flower shop,” Brian laughed.

“Yup. Betsie Smith is the Debbie Novotny-Horvath of the Village.” Bobby and Brian laughed heartily. “Now about your little self pity party,” Bobby got back to the subject at hand.

“I don’t do pity,” Brian growled.

“Normally I’d concur, but something’s got you doing a good imitation of Michael in his best pout.”

Brian resigned himself to his brother-in-law’s powers of deduction. “You hit the nail on the head from the beginning; no one needs me.”

“That’s not true. This whole family needs you, but we happen to be relatively crisis free for the moment. There’s nothing we can do about John’s little blast from the past until the DNA results come back. And even if it does verify that Grace is John’s daughter, what difference will it make other than we can rag on him about being a grandfather.

“The barbecue is over. You’ve had plenty of time to recover from the princess party and Cynthia and Ted have Kinnetik under control. All of the Kinnetik branches are thriving. Maybe you need to open a new branch, better yet open up your own landscaping business. John says you were invaluable to him with Molly’s garden and with the girls’ cottage. I think you should seriously consider it. At the very least you can go outside and mow the lawn.”

“I don’t do lawns. That’s why we have a service.”

“Riiiight. And then you’re out there two minutes after they leave inspecting, criticizing and otherwise making a nuisance of yourself. If you don’t like the job they do, do it yourself.”

Brian shook his head.

“Then buy out that service, keep the employees you like and get rid of the rest or retrain them. They have an established client base that would benefit from your anal tendencies.”

“Oh - ha ha.”

“It would give you something constructive to do and allow you to expand your creative side.”

“I have a creative side?”

“Of course you do. You couldn’t be such a successful ad man without having a creative side. You’re probably bored; you need a new challenge.”

“This family is challenging enough,” Brian snarked.

“Sometimes, but Brian, the kids are growing up. Kinnetik has grown up. Justin is forever finding new projects to get caught up in and that keeps his creative juices flowing. No one would fault you for finding something different to sink your teeth into. Or in this case, your hands into. Find out who owns that landscaping company and negotiate. I bet it’s run by an old man who’d jump at the chance to sell out at a decent price and retire to Scottsdale.”

Bobby could see a little gleam in Brian’s eyes, so he went in for the kill.

“You know, not all of Hunter’s kids have a talent for construction. And some have been abused so badly that they don’t relate to people very well. Flowers don’t talk back and for the most part offer sweet smelling rewards. Think about it, Bri.”

Brian nodded.

“Good. Now I have a date with a lounge chair and a book by the stream. Go out and harass someone, but do it nicely,” Bobby said as he walked out of the kitchen.

“I’m always nice,” Brian shouted to the redhead’s back. He sat for a few more minutes, the wheels turning in his head then he scrambled up to his office.

“Schmidt! I need you to crunch some numbers for me,” he said into his phone.



*****



“Hi Curtis,” JR called out as she approached the lunchroom table that Curtis was seated at. Curtis smiled brightly.

“We still a go for the dance?” he asked almost hesitantly.

“Yes, we are and I am sorry about what my mother did. I just don’t understand her sometimes.”

“I guess she’s just looking out for you. I haven’t had a real mother in a very long time, but I remember my mom being really protective of me. Miss Melanie is just protecting you from the bad ass kid who mugged a whole lot of people. If I ever have a daughter, I’d be the same.”

“I just want you to know that I don’t think like her,” JR said softly.

“I know you don’t. I do like you a lot but I have no expectations other than I like your company. You’re fun to talk with even if your moms are lesbians,” Curtis said with a straight face. Both kids cracked up with laughter.

“Oh yeah? Well, I guess I can overlook the fact that your dads are fags,” JR said as she stuck her tongue out at her friend. They laughed harder then ate their lunches, as they talked about their end of the school year assignments.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 6





“So, sweetie, have you given any more thought to the PRIDE parade?” Emmett asked as he set a popover down in front of Richie. Emmett had met his foster son in front of the Rainbow School and they had walked together to Emmett’s Place. Those walks were quickly becoming one of Emmett’s favorite things. He and his son got to chat about everything, and nothing, as they walked along. Now it was snack time and a chance for a little more alone time between the man and his foster son.

“Not really,” Richie said taking a bite of the delicious pastry. “What’s there to think about?”

“Like whether you want to go,” Emmett said sliding into the booth with Richie.

“I thought you said we were going.”

“I said I thought it would be good for you to go to the parade. I didn’t say you had to go. I don’t want you doing anything you don’t feel right about. I usually attend the parade in one guise or another. I think it would be a revelation for you to see what happens at the PRIDE parade. I’m hoping you’re planning to attend.”

Richie chuckled.

“What?” Emmett asked.

“You sounded so formal, like an invitation from the Queen.”

“You are getting an imitation from a queen,” Emmett replied with a big grin. He batted his eyelashes at Richie and smiled coyly resting his chin on his clasped hands.

Richie laughed louder. “I wish I could be like you.”

“You do?” Emmett asked in surprise.

“Yeah,” Richie said his face sobering. “You get to be exactly who you want to be. Nobody tells you that you can’t dress however you want. Nobody throws you away because they don’t like what you do.”

“Nobody’s ever going to do that to you again, Richie,” Emmett said pulling the boy into a fierce hug. “Not as long as I’m alive anyway. I promise you.”

Richie felt tears well up in his eyes and he managed to squawk, “Thanks.”

“Honey, PRIDE is when you get to be exactly what you want to be,” Emmett added with a nod of his head.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s when gay, bisexual, tranny, cross-dresser, all get to be exactly what they are. They don’t have to hide or pretend during PRIDE. It’s very liberating.”

“It is?” Richie asked with a frown.

Emmett nodded. “That’s why I asked you if you’d given any more thought to the parade. If you feel like dressing up, and I do mean in a dress, for the parade, then you should.”

“I should?” Richie asked in surprise.

“That’s what PRIDE is all about.”

“And nobody will get mad at me?”

“Not a single, solitary soul,” Emmett said squeezing Richie’s hand.

“Will…will you come with me if I do?”

“Of course I will, sweetie,” Emmett replied with a toothy grin. “I’d be honored to march the parade route with my new son.”

“Will you dress up with me?”

“You mean in female attire?” Emmett asked with a faraway look in his eyes.

“Yeah.”

There was a long pause as Emmett seemed to have zoned out. Richie studied this strange man who gave him permission to be whatever he wanted to be. Emmett accepted him exactly as he was. He wanted him to be what he was. As the silence continued, Richie hoped he hadn’t said something wrong by asking Emmett to dress up too. “Emmett?” he said as Emmett continued to be somewhere else.

“Oh, sorry, honey,” Emmett said shaking himself out of his reverie.

“Where were you?” Richie asked with a frown. “If … if you don’t mind me asking.”

“Remembering.”

“Remembering what?”

“When I first came to Pittsburgh from Hazelhurst, Mississippi, I met a lady named Godiva. She was the one who told me it was all right … no, not just all right … to be myself, mandatory to be myself. She said that there was no happiness, no worth in covering up what we are. I had never been able to cover up what I was, but Godiva made me proud of who I was. That’s the most important lesson in life, in my humble opinion, especially for people like us. I’ve never forgotten what Godiva did for me. I want to do the same for you. I want you to be proud of who and what you are. I try to be a friend to everyone and a champion for just causes. That’s what the parade celebrates in our community … along with a few other less noble elements,” Emmett added with a little chuckle. “PRIDE is meant to be fun. It puts the gay in gay. I’d be honored to dress up and march with you in the parade, Richie. It will be my tribute to Godiva.”

“Where’s Godiva now?” Richie asked in a small voice. He thought he knew, but he needed to hear it.

“She died a few years ago.”

“I … I kind of thought she had,” Richie said softly. “It sounded like that from the way you talked about her.” Emmett nodded. “She was a man, wasn’t she?”

“Honey, she was the best man or woman I ever met.” Emmett smiled at the memory of his first meeting with Godiva when he was the scared little hick from Mississippi, newly come to the big city.

“Even better than Mr. Brian?” Richie asked with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

Emmett laughed out loud. “Brian Kinney would have a fit if he ever thought he was put in the same category as Godiva. He’d never be caught dressing up in women’s clothes.”

“What about Mr. Justin?”

“Hm, that’s a different story,” Emmett said thoughtfully.

“Does he?” Richie asked his eyes getting very large.

“Oh heaven’s no, at least not often. And not that anyone knows about. But he does make a wonderful Marilyn Monroe,” Emmett felt compelled to add.

“Huh?”

“It was a long time ago … one Valentine’s Day.”

Richie chuckled. “You do have interesting friends, Mr. Emmett.”

“Please, don’t call me mister,” Emmett said staring into Richie’s eyes. He wanted to be so much more than a mister to this boy.

“Sorry, I forget sometimes.”

“If you ever feel like calling me ‘dad’ I’d be open to that.”

“I … I don’t think I’m ready for that,” Richie said hesitantly. He didn’t want to make Emmett mad at him.

“That’s okay, but remember that when you are, I’d be mighty proud to be called that.”

Richie nodded. “Emmett,” he said choosing the word carefully.

“Yeah.”

“I think we should dress up for the parade … in honor of Miss Godiva.”

“You do?” Emmett asked with a grin that threatened to split his face in two.

“I do. I think I’d like that.”

“And I know I would,” Emmett replied pulling Richie into a bone crushing hug.



*****



“John-boy, I think you have a visitor,” Gordon said as he looked over John’s shoulder indicating the lady standing at the edge of their construction site. The Anderson Construction company had been working non-stop at the reconstruction of the newly combined primary and high schools that would be state of the art in their corner of the world. Both John and Gordon were inspecting the progress so far; they were very pleased.

“Damn,” John muttered to himself.

“That isn’t...”

“Yes, she is.”

“I thought she was in California.”

“She’s baaack.”

“Why? Doesn’t she know about you?”

“Yes, but I think she thinks she can turn me away from the dark side.”

“Ah. And does she have a chance?”

“Are you shitting me?”

“Yeah, I am, but Johnny, don’t forget that we’ve been friends for a hell of a long time. I remember before, during and after. And I remember the way you spoke about Samantha. Even years after you broke up, no other lady could live up to her. Why did she come back?”

John took a deep breath before explaining to Gordon what his former girlfriend believed.

“Is there a possibility that Grace could be your daughter?”

“It’s possible,” John admitted with a grimace. “We’re waiting for the results of some tests. But that doesn’t explain why Samantha’s here.”

“Maybe she’s heard something.”

“I guess I should go over and talk to her.”

“Seems like a good idea. It’s almost time for lunch, so why don’t you invite the lady to have a bite,” Gordon said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Are you trying to get me in trouble with Bobby?”

“John-boy, I would never do anything intentionally to drive a wedge between you and Bobby,” Gordon said as he took hold of John’s upper arms and looked into his eyes. “You are my best friend and I love Bobby like a brother. I also respect him; he has made you very happy.”

“Your point?”

“My point is ... I don’t have one. Just be careful. Desperate women can do desperate things.”

“That’s what I’m afraid of,” John said with a sigh. “I guess I better offer to take the lady to lunch,” John added as he dusted himself off and loped over to Samantha.

“Hi,” Samantha greeted John with a pensive smile.

“Hi,” John returned her greeting then placed a chaste peck on her cheek “Do you have time for lunch?”

“Yes, I do. You’ve made wonderful progress on the schools,” Samantha said before she got into John’s SUV.

“It’ll go faster when school’s out for the Summer,” he commented as he started his truck then automatically headed for the café. “You haven’t heard anything yet from Dr. Morrison, have you?”

“No, but he did say it could take several weeks before we know for sure.”

“It doesn’t really matter either way. Even if we find out that I am Grace’s biological father, from what you’ve told me she loved Warren. He was the only father she ever knew. At best, I could only be her friend.”

“I know.”

“Then why pursue it?”

“I just have to know,” she mumbled weakly.

“All right, honey,” John said as he patted her hand.

“Do you hate me?”

“I could never hate you but, Samantha, if you think I would ever leave Bobby for you then I have to be honest, I won’t. He and Patrick are my whole life.”

“I realize that. I saw your mother.”

“My mother?”

They pulled up in front of the café, parked then got out of the Navigator.

“It’s so beautiful today. It’s a shame to be stuck inside.”

“Let’s get our lunch to go, and we can eat it in the park,” John suggested. Samantha agreed.

Within the hour they were sitting at a picnic table in the local park.

“What did you and Claire talk about?” John ventured as he bit into his sandwich.

“About you, mostly. She caught me up on your life and told me about your brother. I’m sorry to hear about your father.”

John winced. “I never knew him. You can’t miss something you never had.”

“That’s not true. A child deserves two parents that love him.”

“From what I hear Jack wasn’t the loving type. But that’s all water under the bridge and I have Brian and his family. They’re my family now, me and my mother's. My life is good.” John hesitated for a moment but had to ask. “Why did you leave?”

“I really didn’t want to go, but my father sent me to this private girl’s school. I had no choice.”

“I suspected as much. He didn’t want you hanging around a bastard son.”

“No John! I never thought of you like that.”

“No, you didn’t, but half the town did. This isn’t the big city; we’re still a backwater town even in this day and age. Old prejudices still exist here. My mother and I didn’t always have it so good. But things change.”

“That’s for sure,” Samantha said without thinking. “Oh, I’m sorry and I didn’t mean...”

“I know what you mean. We’re not those two kids anymore, Samantha. I’m not the same man. We can’t go back.”

“But can’t you try?”

“No, I can’t and it’s unfair of you to ask,” John said suddenly very angry. “I have to get back to work. Can I drop you off anywhere?” he asked curtly.

Sensing that she had crossed a line, Samantha said, “No thank you, I can walk home from here. It’s not too far. The exercise will help to clear my head.”

“I’ll call you if I hear from Dr. Dan,” John said as he took their trash before leaving.

Samantha watched as John bundled up the garbage, threw it in a nearby garbage can then strode to his SUV. She sat for a while before walking home.



*****



“What are you doing, lambskin,” Lindsay asked as she walked into the living room of their house.

“Just thinking about Ray,” Gus said with a sigh. He really missed his boyfriend since he had gone back to New York after the Memorial Day weekend.

It was getting close to PRIDE Week in Pittsburgh. Ray was going to be coming back for the Pittsburgh PRIDE. Gus couldn’t wait to spend some more time with his boyfriend. And then later on Gus would spend the New York PRIDE week with Ray and his family.

“You miss him?” Lindsay asked.

Gus nodded. “It’s hard being so far apart.”

“You’re still so young,” Lindsay said with a fond grin.

“Oh Mom,” Gus said rolling his eyes. “I’m technically an adult, not some little kid.”

“You are not too old to spank,” Lindsay replied with mock severity and then a genuine laugh at the look her statement had produced on Gus’ face.

“You’ve never spanked me.”

“There’s a first time for everything,” Lindsay said as she gave her son a kiss then a pat to his butt.

“Oh Mom,” he whined as he returned her kiss.

“I love you, honey. I don’t like that you and your sister are growing up much too fast.”

“I can’t help it.”

“I know, sweetheart.”

“Are you and Mama going to the parade?” Gus asked changing the subject.

“I’m sure we will be. Your mama wants to march with the equal marriage rights group.”

“Me and Ray just want to watch.”

“Ray and I,” she corrected. “And you and Ray just want to ogle the boys.”

“Your point?” Gus said with a smirk so like his father’s.

“Why I ever asked Brian Kinney to father my child, I’ll never know.”

“Because he happens to be one hell of a stud,” Gus answered with a straight face then made a discreet exit. It was time to call Ray. “Hey, stud,” Gus said into his phone with a big smile when he had placed the call.

“Hey, big boy,” came the retort. “I think I’ve got everything organized to come to Pittsburgh. You meeting me at the station?”

“That could be arranged.”

“We gonna get to stay at the loft?”

“Yup, cleared it with Pop.”

“I can’t wait to see you,” Ray replied his voice softening.

“Me too,” Gus said as he glanced down at his crotch. Other parts of him were very happy about Ray’s visit to his fair city as well. “See you soon, stud,” Gus drawled.

“Yeah!”

Gus knew it was going to be torture until Ray’s bus arrived from New York.



*****



“Leda, are you ever going to come in for dinner?” Jamie called out their back door. Leda was in the carport tinkering on her new all terrain vehicle. She was standing in the middle of automotive parts and covered in grease.

“Be right there,” Leda called back.

“I thought they had mechanics to do all that.”

“I am a mechanic,” Leda said as she finally entered their cottage.

“Ugh, you’re filthy and I think your deodorant quit on you a few hours ago.”

“Is that a hint that I need a shower?”

“More than a hint, it’s a suggestion. Dinner waited this long, it can wait a little while longer. Why are you in such a rush with this new contraption of yours?” Jamie asked as she followed Leda into the bathroom. She took Leda’s dirty clothes as Leda peeled them off of herself, so she could wash them separately.

“I want to see if I can get a working model ready for PRIDE,” she replied from the shower stall.

“I thought Brian’s campaign boosted your sales of your bike,” Jamie remarked as she sat on the edge of the tub.

“It did, better than I hoped. More than half the dykes will be riding a Lethal Bike and many of the men too. I’m just hoping this little three wheeler will interest the younger crowd. Maybe you’ll consider riding it in the parade.”

“Maybe. Your robe is on the door,” Jamie said as she got up to get dinner on the table.

“Okay, thanks. Jamie?” Leda said as she stuck her head out of the shower to catch her lover before she left.

“Yeah?”

“Have you given more thought about us having a baby?”

“Yes I did.”

“And?”

“And we can discuss it at dinner.” Leda nodded as Jamie left the bathroom.

When she finished washing her hair, Leda got out of the shower, dried off then joined her partner at the dinner table.

“You haven’t changed your mind about wanting to start a family, have you?” Leda asked as she served herself.

“No, not at all but I got the impression that you were serious about asking Brian Kinney to be the sperm donor. I have to be honest; I’m not all that happy with the idea.”

“I didn’t think you would be. There’d be a lot of baggage to get over if we went that route.”

“Which means...?”

“I did some checking. Apparently Kinney had cancer many years ago. More than likely the treatments left him sterile. He may have taken precautions prior to treatment but I’m not prepared to ask him about it. And then there’s Mel and Lindsay.”

“I like them but I really have no desire to be that closely linked with them. I like having our own friends and family.”

“I know what you mean.”

“So we’re in agreement? We choose someone else to be the donor?”

“Let’s make that someone else a sperm bank. We can then choose objectively,” Leda stated.

“I love your logical mind,” Jamie said with a smile as she passed the peas.

“And I love you,” Leda said as she spooned a generous helping of peas onto her plate.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 7





“JR, we’ve been in every dress shop in the city,” Lindsay said with a heavy sigh, as they exited yet another store.

“But nothing looked right, Mommy,” JR replied with her little girl voice.

They had spent the whole morning wandering through every dress shop that might have a suitable frock for the upcoming school dance. JR had turned her nose up at all of them for one reason or another.

Lindsay looked up and down the street. “We’ve been into every shop I can think of.”

“There must be more,” JR said with a note of panic in her voice.

“I can’t think of any,” Lindsay replied curtly. She was tired and ready to go home.

“But, Mommy, I have to have a dress,” JR whined.

“You could have had any one of the hundred dresses you tried on.”

“But they weren’t right,” JR persisted.

Lindsay bit back an expletive and put the strong desire to smack her daughter out of her mind. Getting a grip on herself, she glanced up and down the street. She noticed a sign she hadn’t paid any attention to before. She grabbed JR’s hand and hauled her down the street toward it.

“Where are we going?” JR asked as she was practically running to keep up with her mother’s long strides.

“You’ll see,” Lindsay said as they came to an abrupt halt in front of a shop called Second Hand Rose.

“What … what is this?”

“I’d say it’s a clothing store,” Lindsay said with a smirk.

“But … but it’s used clothing,” JR protested, disgust evident in her voice.

“They call it vintage these days, my dear,” Lindsay said as she pushed the door open and dragged her daughter inside.

“I don’t want anything in here,” JR stated bluntly. “I want a new dress.”

“You didn’t like any of the new dresses you tried on.”

“But Uncle Brian might take me to Versace or Dolce and Gabbana if you asked him,” JR said with a pleading voice.

“No fucking way!” Lindsay replied. “To quote said uncle.”

“But, Mother … I can’t…”

“Let’s just look around. You never know what we might find.”

“I know what we’ll find,” JR moped. “Junk!” Lindsay began moving through the racks of clothes looking for something that might possibly be suitable. JR followed her, arms crossed on her chest, and her best pout that she had inherited from her father drawing down the corners of her lips.

“Why, Miss Lindsay, I do declare!”

“Emmett, what are you doing here?” Lindsay said with surprise as the tall queen came over to her.

Emmett kissed Lindsay’s cheek, and was about to do the same with JR when he saw the look on the girl’s face. “My, my, we seem to be in a bit of a mood,” Emmett observed.

“My mother wants to dress me in used clothes for the school dance. I’ll be the laughing stock of the whole place,” JR declared.

“Now, now, you’re jumping to way too many conclusions, sweetie,” Emmett said gently. “Sometimes you can find the most divine frocks in places like this. Valentino, Chanel … a store like this is where I got my pink Jackie O suit,” Emmett said with a wistful look on his face.

“Auntie Emm,” JR replied. “I don’t understand a thing you’re saying.”

“Emmett … oh!?” Richie said as he came around the end of one of the racks of clothes. His face turned scarlet and he shoved the garment he was carrying behind his back.

“Yes, sweetie,” Emmett replied to his son. “You know Lindsay and JR.”

“Yeah,” Richie said his eyes glued to the floor.

“We’re here on a little shopping spree for PRIDE,” Emmett said making sure he kept his voice upbeat. If Richie wanted to dress up, he might as well get used to people’s comments. “They have some great items here. Did you find something you like, Richie?”

“No, I mean yes, I mean, maybe it’s not very good,” Richie stammered, his embarrassment growing with each passing moment.

“Are you going to wear a dress for the parade?” Lindsay asked Emmett.

“Yes, I think I will, if I can find the right gown,” Emmett said. “I feel like honoring Godiva this year. Richie may decide to join me too.”

Richie looked with horror at his new father. If these people hadn’t realized what he was doing before, they certainly knew now.

“Are you going to the parade?” Emmett asked Lindsay. He pretended not to notice Richie’s embarrassment.

“Mel wants to march with the equal marriage rights group.”

“Mel always wants to make a statement,” Emmett chuckled.

“Yeah,” Lindsay agreed. “But today we’re trying to find a dress for JR to wear to the school dance. We’ve been in a million stores so far, and she hasn’t liked anything.”

“They have some younger looks over here,” Emmett said leading the whole group back to the area where Richie had just come from. “Richie found some lovely frocks. We have them hanging here.”

JR made a face. “How can you wear someone else’s clothes?”

“We all wear someone else’s clothes,” Emmett stated. “Unless we sew them ourselves.”

“You know what I mean,” JR pouted.

“Richie, show JR that lovely turquoise dress that would suit her coloring so well. It’s totally the wrong color for Richie, but it would go so well with your dark hair, JR.”

Richie hung up the dress he had been carrying. It was a pale, pale pink color. He really liked it. He lifted the dress Emmett was talking about off the rack and held it out to JR. JR crossed her arms on her chest and glared at him. Richie moved closer deciding this was what Emmett wanted him to do. He held the dress in front of JR’s body.

Lindsay gasped. “Oh, JR, look in the mirror. It’s a perfect color for you. You would look breathtaking in that dress.”

“I totally agree,” Emmett concurred. “You have to try it on.”

JR frowned, but she did like the color. “What’s this material?” she asked.

“It’s taffeta. See how it shimmers,” Richie said with a smile as he gently fingered the material. “I love the feel of fabrics.”

“You seem to know a lot about them,” JR said.

“Richie, let’s see the dress you were carrying,” Emmett encouraged his son.

Richie had lost a lot of his embarrassment. He scooped the dress from the rack and held it up in front of himself. “It’s so beautiful,” he said as he ran his hand down the skirt. “It’s chiffon.”

“That’s a perfect color for you too,” Lindsay said.

“Thanks,” Richie replied, starting to feel much better about this shopping trip.

“They have two change rooms back there,” Emmett said. “You two go try these on.”

“Okay,” Richie said.

“If I have to,” JR moaned. The pout was back.

“You’ll look beautiful honey,” Emmett said as he gently pushed the two young people towards the back of the store.

Lindsay and Emmett waited with bated breath for the two to emerge from the fitting rooms. JR came out first. Mouths dropped open as both of them saw the young girl. She looked like a model. The dress fit her like a glove. It was longer than the current style, but that only made her stand out more with the shimmering fabric all around her.

“You look … exquisite, sweetheart,” Lindsay said with tears in her eyes.

“I do?”

“Look in the mirror.”

“Wow!” JR reacted as she saw her reflection. “Is that really me?”

“It certainly is,” Emmett said. “You look beautiful.”

“You and Gus are all grown up,” Lindsay whispered with a touch of sadness in her voice.

“That does happen,” Emmett said with a chuckle and a kiss to Lindsay’s cheek.

“Emmett,” Richie said as he came out of the change room. “It’s too big,” he added with disappointment.

“That’s a wonderful color on you,” Lindsay said encouragingly.

“Yeah, it is,” JR had to admit. Even though the dress was so loose, it still looked pretty wonderful on Richie. He had such soft feminine features, and the color was just perfect.

“We just need to take in a few tucks,” Emmett said pulling the fabric closer around Richie’s slim body. “But you will need some undergarments,” he whispered in Richie’s ear.

Richie blushed and said, “Yeah.”

“I bet Deb would do the alterations for you,” Emmett told him.

“She made my wedding dress,” Lindsay said cheerfully. “She sews beautifully.”

“Let’s get it,” Emmett said enthusiastically. Richie nodded his approval.

“And what about your dress, JR?” Lindsay asked. “Do you want it?”

JR nodded, running her hands over the smooth fabric of the skirt of the dress. “I think Curtis will really like it.”

“And that’s all that matters,” Lindsay laughed. “It’s perfect for you, honey. Go get changed.”

The two young people walked back towards the fitting rooms.

“How do you know so much about clothes and fabrics?” JR asked Richie.

“I know because I’m interested in clothes.”

“Oh.”

“I … like to wear amazing clothes like this. I might even like to design them.”

“Wow!” JR responded. She stared at Richie. Maybe there was a lot more to him than she had thought.

“We better get changed,” Richie said as he entered his change room.

“They’re great kids,” Lindsay said as she and Emmett waited for them.

“They sure are. I’m kind of glad we ran into you today. Richie likes to dress up in female clothes, and this may be the first step in conquering his fear and embarrassment about doing that.”

“You’re going to march in the parade with him?”

Emmett nodded. “I plan to. Thanks for not making a big deal of him being here today. Did you notice how he was when he first saw you?”

“And I saw how he was now when he went back there with JR,” Lindsay said with a smile. “I’m happy to help.”

“Thanks, sweetie,” Emmett said pulling her into a hug.



*****



“And then we went into this used clothing store on Liberty; that’s when I found the dress!” JR was explaining the saga behind her dress to Curtis. She had called him the minute she got home from her shopping expedition.

“Miss Lindsay found you a dress?”

“More like Richie found me the dress.”

“Richie?!” Curtis exclaimed, not sure if he was happy about that. “What was Richie doing in a dress shop?” Curtis asked trying to keep his cool about it. If JR had an inkling that Curtis was upset, she didn’t sound like it.

“It wasn’t just a dress shop. It’s a shop that sells old clothes including dresses.”

“Oh.” Curtis wasn’t all that sure what the difference was.

“Except that mommy called it a vintage store,” JR went on oblivious to Curtis’ conundrum. “Anyway, Richie had picked out a bunch of dresses and Auntie Emm suggested I try one on. It’s sooo beautiful and it fits like a dream. I don’t have to get it altered or anything. Mommy said she’ll get it professionally cleaned before the dance. It’s sort of blue, if you want to get something to match,” JR said, her last statement almost in a whisper.

“What do you mean sort of blue?”

“They call it turquoise.” Curtis rolled his eyes. Real men didn’t wear turquoise, at least none of the men he knew, except maybe for Auntie Emm.

“I have a black suit,” Curtis deadpanned.

“Oh,” JR said with some disappointment in her voice. “I’m sure you’ll look very handsome,” she quickly added.

“Maybe I’ll ask Dr. Raph about it. He always knows what to wear.”

“That’s a good idea. I gotta go. I’ll see you in school, okay?”

“Okay, bye.” Curtis hung up the phone more confused about his feelings than ever, but determined to figure things out. He headed for the kitchen. “Do you want some help?” he asked as he walked into the kitchen. It was Raph’s turn to get dinner on the table. Hector was working late.

“Sure. Was that JR?” Raph asked making small talk as he stirred a pot of vegetables.

“Yeah, she was telling me about her new dress.”

“So why the long face? I thought you were excited about going to the dance with JR.”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Shoot.”

“Can a guy and a girl just be friends?”

“I think so. I have plenty of female friends, so does Hector. Why do you ask?”

“JR likes Richie.”

“That’s nice. I imagine he needs all the friends he can get. You remember how lonely you felt when you first came to us? Richie probably feels the same.”

Curtis nodded; he did remember.

“And your first friend in the family was a girl. A very special little girl,” Raph reminded Curtis.

“Yeah,” Curtis murmured with a little smile but he still had a lot to think about.



*****



“I’ve heard of football wives but I never imagined I’d be a motorcycle wife,” Jamie mumbled from the back door of her cottage. Leda was in the carport, as usual, tinkering with her latest motorcycle creation.

“Are you ever coming in the house?”

The sun was setting but that didn’t stop Leda who had just flipped on the overhead lights.

“A few more minutes!” Leda called back.

“That’s what you said an hour ago,” Jamie said to herself mostly. She went back inside to clean up the kitchen. She had made dinner but wound up eating it alone. She made up a plate for Leda then wrapped it up to stick in the refrigerator.

Jamie picked up a sketch pad and began to draw out a pattern for her next project. Lindsay had called Jamie a couple of days prior to give her a heads up regarding another “Emerging Artist” show scheduled for the Fall. Jamie was only teaching one class at PIFA during the Summer so she had plenty of time to prepare. And since her spouse seemed to be elbows deep in motorcycle grease, Jamie decided to use her time alone wisely.

About an hour later Jamie stopped to take a good look at her sketch.

“Damn,” she said with a frown.

“What’s wrong?” Leda asked giving Jamie a little start.

“Jeez, you scared me!”

“Sorry, babe,” Leda said contritely as she gave Jamie a peck on her cheek without getting grease on her or on their sofa. “Something wrong with your sketch?”

“Not really, it’s just that it dawned on me that I keep drawing the same thing over and over.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Leda had very little interest in the arts other than her big interest in her own artist.

Jamie showed her the sketch she was currently working on which would eventually be turned into a large papier-mâché portrait with Jamie’s homemade paper.

“It looks like a mother and child,” Leda commented. Jamie then showed her the rest of the sketches that filled her book.

“They’re all variations on the same theme,” Leda observed.

“You’re right,” Jamie said with a sigh as she turned each page. “It just dawned on me.”

Leda gingerly took the sketchbook out of her lover’s hands to study the pictures within it.

“I’ve been doing some research,” Leda began softly as she looked at Jamie’s latest picture. “I talked to a couple of the women at my plant.”

“About?”

“About having babies.”

“You discussed our private life with people at your motorcycle factory?”

“You make it sound like I talk behind your back. Many of those women have been with me for ages. Some even helped me with start up money so we could get the new bike up and running. They believe in me and I knew I could go to them without being judged.”

“I didn’t realize. What did they tell you?”

“They gave me the lowdown about rearing children and recommended a few reliable sperm banks. I called a couple of them and had them send me their brochures.” Leda chuckled.

“What’s so funny?”

“You should read them; the brochures remind me of a Chinese take out menu. Column A - hair and eye color, Column B - IQ.”

“Sounds kind of cold.”

“We could still ask Brian,” Leda said with a straight face then they both laughed heartily.

“Go shower, I’ll warm up your dinner and we can look over the pamphlets. Maybe place an order,” Jamie said as she gave her lover a kiss. “I love you and I’m ready to have a baby with you.”

“I love you too,” Leda said as she returned the kiss then went to scrub off the grease.



*****



“Emmett, thank you,” Richie said softly as he dried off the dishes before placing them back in the cabinet.

“For what, honey?”

“For today, the dress and everything. No one else understands,” he said sadly.

“You’re very welcome, but sweetheart, I have to tell you, there happens to be a lot of people that understand exactly what you’re feeling. And to prove it to you, I think we should have a little get-together at the restaurant. I think it’s about time you meet some of your kindred spirits.”

Richie had no idea what Emmett was talking about but he had learned to trust this very outgoing and loveable man. He couldn’t help returning Emmett’s infectious smile.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 8





“What the fuck is she doing up there?” Melanie demanded.

“She’s getting ready for the dance,” Lindsay said with a little smile.

“I want to see this fucking dress that both of you have been raving about, but wouldn’t let me see,” Melanie continued to gripe.

“You’ll see it in a minute when she comes down the stairs.”

“This dress better not be … too revealing.”

Lindsay laughed. “It’s very proper. She looks lovely in it.”

“Why wouldn’t you let me see it?”

“She wants to surprise you.”

“Fuck surprises! This is her first big dance. I should have been the one to take her dress shopping. Then I would know that she’s properly dressed.”

Lindsay frowned. There were so many things wrong with that statement. “I hope you’re not implying that I don’t know how to dress our daughter in a suitable manner. And you were busy when we went shopping.”

Melanie shook her head. “I should keep my fucking mouth shut. I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

“I’m not mad, but sometimes you make me feel like I’m not JR’s mother too.”

“That wasn’t my intention.”

“I understand that, but words hurt.”

Melanie was about to pull Lindsay into a hug when the doorbell rang.

“That must be Curtis,” Lindsay said walking away from Mel towards the front door. “Come in, Curtis,” she said as she opened the door. “You look very handsome.”

Curtis beamed. “Do you think this suit is all right?”

“I think it’s perfect,” Lindsay said.

Melanie watched from the entrance to the living room. She had to admit that Curtis looked very good. His suit was appropriate and fit him very well. But she still had misgivings about this whole thing. “Are your fathers with you?”

“Yes, Miss Marcus,” Curtis replied politely. “They decided to stay in the car. They’ll be driving us to the dance and picking us up afterwards.”

“That’s good,” Melanie said sternly. She wanted to give him a longer lecture about what he was allowed and not allowed to do with her daughter, but she bit her lip and held her tongue.

“Um … is JR ready?” Curtis asked hopefully.

“I’m ready,” JR said from the top of the stairs. She wore her beautiful turquoise dress with black patent heels, not too high. Her hair was loose to her shoulders and her smile was radiant.

“Wow!” Curtis said as she started to come down the stairs.

“My God!” Melanie reacted.

“What is it, Mama?” JR asked, stopping mid-step. “Don’t you like my dress,” she added with a worried note in her voice. She wouldn’t be able to stand it if her mother suddenly decided she couldn’t go, or that she couldn’t wear this dress, or that Curtis couldn’t take her or…

“You look … wonderful,” Melanie said choking back tears. “You’re so grown up.”

“I keep telling you that, Mama,” JR said.

“I guess I’ll finally have to believe you.”

“I brought this for you,” Curtis said holding out a florist’s box with a wrist corsage. “It’s as close to turquoise as we could find,” Curtis added shyly.

“It looks lovely,” JR said as she took it from him. “I’ll put it on in the car.”

“Okay,” Curtis agreed, happy that she seemed to like his gift. That had been Raph’s idea, along with the turquoise tie that he was wearing.

“Bye, Mama, Mommy,” JR said giving each of them a quick kiss before heading for the door.

“Have a good time, sweetheart,” Lindsay whispered in her ear.

“Be careful,” Melanie whispered as JR kissed her cheek.

“I’ll be fine, Mama. I’m with Curtis.”

With that they were gone, the front door closing behind them.

“I have to go out,” Melanie said quickly.

“Out? What are you talking about?”

“Um … I have an appointment.”

“At this time of night?”

“I’m going to change,” Melanie stated. “Then I’m going out.”

Lindsay watched her wife disappear up the stairs. She couldn’t help but wonder what Mel was up to. Shaking her head she went to make a cup of tea. Some time later Lindsay heard the front door close.

“Mel?” she called. There was no answer. Lindsay walked to the front door just in time to see their car heading down the street. With a shrug of her shoulders Lindsay decided she’d just drink tea and put her feet up, since she was all alone anyway.



*****



“Are you having a good time?” Curtis asked, as he and JR came off the dance floor.

“Yeah, you’re a pretty good dancer … for a boy,” JR said with a cute grin.

“You’re awful mean sometimes,” Curtis teased with a smile.

“And that’s why you like me.”

“There’s lots of reasons why I like you,” Curtis said seriously.

“You sure are a sweet talker.”

Curtis laughed. “Let’s get something to drink.”

They made their way over to the refreshment area and each got a Coke. As she started sipping the soda, JR saw something out of the corner of her eye that made her want to scream. Her mother was standing in the door of the school gym looking around. JR could only assume that her mother was there to take her home. She quickly set down her can of soda.

“I’m going to the restroom,” she said to Curtis hoping he hadn’t seen her mother. “Why don’t you go talk to Greg till I get back,” JR said sweetly. Greg was a kid they both knew. He was sitting in a corner with a bunch of other boys who didn’t seem to want to dance.

“Okay,” Curtis agreed. “Don’t be too long.”

“I won’t,” JR said as she watched Curtis walk away towards the other boys. She immediately headed for her mother. When she got to the door of the gym, she grabbed her mother’s arm and pulled her out into the hall. “What are you doing here, mother? You said I could come to this dance. I’m not going home with you.”

“I just thought I’d check out what was happening. They can always use chaperones at school dances,” Melanie said trying to sound like it was the most natural thing in the world for her to be there.

“You are not a chaperone, and I don’t want you here,” JR said adamantly.

“Well, I am here.”

“Please, Mama, don’t ruin tonight for me,” JR begged.

“How am I ruining the night for you … unless you’re doing something you’re not supposed to.”

“We’ve been dancing and we were having a Coke when you got here.”

“The liquid kind, I hope.”

“Mother!”

“Okay, okay, but I want to be sure you’re all right.”

“I’m just fine. Please go home.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Mama…”

“I’m staying,” Melanie stated crossing her arms on her chest.

JR gave her mother her best scowl and headed for the restrooms. Melanie sat down on a bench outside the gym to wait for her daughter to return.

Inside the restroom, JR pulled out her cell phone. She hit a number and waited as it rang. “Uncle Brian, I need your help.”



*****



Melanie felt her cell phone vibrate in her small handbag. She pulled it out. “Yeah?”

“Good evening to you too,” Brian Kinney’s voice came back at her.

“What the fuck do you want?” Melanie demanded.

“Your daughter called and said she was being harassed by this person of the lesbian persuasion. She wanted to know if I could make you go away.”

“You can’t make me do anything, Kinney.”

“And don’t I know it.”

“Then what do you want?”

“I told JR I’d try.”

“You’ve tried, so fuck off,” Melanie snarled. She was about to close the cell phone when she heard Brian say something else. “What did you say?” she asked.

“I said listen, you fucking asshole.”

“Excuuuse me! That’s your title.”

“You remember what we talked about when you didn’t want JR to go to this dance. You’re doing the same thing. You’re driving her away.”

“I am not!”

“Okay, I’ve warned you. If you choose not to believe me then it’s all on your head.”

“Kinney, why did she call you?” Melanie asked as the reality of what she had done began to sink in. JR had called Melanie’s arch enemy … again. The kid must be desperate. Melanie started to realize that maybe she was driving JR away, and driving her towards Brian Kinney.

“Because most people are afraid of you, Mel,” Brian said staying calming as he spoke his version of the truth. “She knows I’ll tell it like it is.”

“No punches pulled.”

“I’m not trying to hurt you. I just want JR to be happy.”

Melanie let out a long breath. She saw JR come out of the washroom. “I have to go,” she said into the phone.

“Do the right thing,” Brian replied before he cut the connection.

“JR,” Mel said as her daughter approached. “Have I done it again?”

JR nodded. “You’ve got to let me live my own life, Mama.”

“But, you’re so young.”

“Not that young. You said so when I came downstairs tonight.”

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Melanie admitted. “I’m going home, honey.”

“Thanks, Mama,” JR said allowing her mother to hug her. She even returned the hug … a little bit. “I’ll be fine.”

“You better be,” Melanie said as she watched JR disappear back into the gym.

Melanie hesitated to leave. Knowing she shouldn’t, she poked her head around the edge of the open gym door. She could easily spot JR’s turquoise dress. She was dancing with Curtis. They were laughing and having a good time. And she was being an idiot. It was time to go home.



*****



"Emm?" Debbie shrieked from her living room. Emmett was in her kitchen sitting with Carl. They were enjoying coffee while Debbie was in the process of altering Richie's dress.

"Yes?"

"What do you think?"

Richie was in the dress, standing in the middle of the room, trying not to breathe for fear of being stuck by all the pins Debbie had inserted.

"Oooo, I like it but don't you think it's a little too tight?" Emmett asked with a crooked smile.

"I was going for the fitted look."

"Fitted is nice but breathing is better, and we must leave room for undergarments," Emmett said with a poignant look.

"Undergarments?"

"Debbie, honey, when was the last time you altered a dress?" Emmett knew that Debbie was used to dealing with her lost boys. She had very few lost girls.

"I, um..."

"Exactly. Perhaps it was when Lindsay and Mel were getting married?"

"No. It can't be," Debbie said in denial. "Really? Carl?"

"Sweetheart, we've been together for a lot of years now and I've never seen you work on a dress. You took in a couple pairs of my pants but no dresses," Carl said as he pulled on the waistband of his trousers. He and Debbie were trying to watch their weight.

"Well, fuck. I'm sorry, honey," Debbie said to Richie. "Let me fix this and give you some breathing room." A few minutes later, Richie's dress was still taken in but he had much more room.

"Go on upstairs and change. Just yell if you need some help," Debbie said gently. Richie smiled then turned to go up to Michael's old room to get out of his dress.

"Deb, am I doing the right thing?" Emmett asked.

"What? You mean letting him march in drag in the parade?" Debbie asked in order to clarify Emmett's feelings. Emmett gave a pensive nod. "Oh Emm, I think he should feel free to express himself. And you'll be there, right?"

"Of course I'll be there. I can't have him marching alone, can I?"

"What are you going to wear?"

"I hadn't given it much thought."

"Do you still have Godiva's gown?"

"Yes, I do, but it's a bit flashy."

"Wasn't too flashy when Michael wore it," Debbie said then the two of them laughed.

"No it wasn't but I'm not that same girl anymore. And I don't think it would be right for me to outdo Richie. This is his time to shine! I'll find something; maybe I'll see if I can still fit in that old pink Chanel suit of mine."

"Oh, you did look nice in that. You know, I can’t help but think back on that night we crashed Michael's party. I have to admit he was being a stuck up asshole at the time. Do you remember what our little sunshine wore?" Debbie said with a big grin.

"Yes, but I mostly remember what our Mr. Kinney wore! Talk about flaming!"

Emmett and Debbie broke out into belly laughs.

"What got you two ladies cackling like a bunch of hens?" Carl asked.

"Wait, I'll show you!" Debbie said as she rummaged through some old photo albums.

"You have pictures?" Emmett asked incredulously.

"A member of the Senator's staff was taking some candid PR shots. I convinced him to send me a couple. Here!"

Debbie, Carl and Emmett gathered around to look at the picture in Debbie's album.

"Emmett, is that you?" Richie asked. He had just come down and into the room. "And is that Mr. Brian and Mr. Justin?"

"In the flesh," Deb replied.

"The very same," Emmett added.

"Holy Shit!" Carl said as he stared at the photo. And then they all laughed again.

"They were hot!" Richie blurted out. "Oops, I'm sorry."

"Sweetheart," Debbie began, "nothing to be sorry about. They were hot, and have only gotten hotter with age."

"How true," Emmett sighed. "Now, where did you leave the dress?" Emmett changed the subject having had enough of the walk down memory lane.

"Hanging upstairs in the closet."

"Very good, young man. Tomorrow we’ll go shopping for the right undergarments."

"Um, Emmett, do I really need them?" Richie asked, embarrassed to be thinking about female underwear, let alone having to buy it.

"Honey, there's nothing to worry about. I know just the right place to go to. It's where only the best drag queens shop!"

Richie just nodded, trusting in Emmett's wisdom.

"Good night y'all!" Emmett said as he gave Debbie a kiss and a pat on the back to Carl. Debbie kissed both her boys as she showed them to the door.

"Night, Emm, Richie," Deb said as they walked to their car.

"Night boys!" Carl called out as he closed their front door. "Babe, I have to admit when you told me about Emmett and Drew wanting to adopt a child I had some reservations," Carl admitted, as he and Debbie snuggled together on their couch.

"And now?"

"After seeing them all together at the barbecue and tonight, I can't think of a more perfect family. Emmett loves that boy."

"Yes, he does. I hope it works out for them. Richie is so starved for love. And Emmett and Drew have more than enough love to give."

"Yes, they do. And I love you," Carl murmured as he gave Debbie a kiss.

"I love you too," Debbie said against his lips. After a few minutes of making out, Carl got a curious look on his face. "What is it?" Debbie asked.

"It's a good thing I'm straight because if I had seen Brian and Justin that night, I might have been tempted over to the dark side," he said with a straight face.

Debbie was momentarily stunned into silence.

"Oh you!" she finally said then laughed. "Come on upstairs and I'll keep you straight."

"Yes ma'am," Carl said as he followed his missus up the stairs to their bedroom.



*****



"Where were you?" Lindsay asked the minute Melanie stepped through the door.

"I don't want to talk about it," she replied as she stomped through the house and up the stairs to their bedroom.

"You don't want to talk about it?" Lindsay asked in an acerbic tone as she followed closely behind.

"That's right, I don't want to talk about it!" Melanie took off her clothes then threw them into a pile on the floor. She grabbed her robe as she stormed into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her. Lindsay could hear the lock catch.

"Bitch!" Lindsay growled at the closed door then went downstairs to the kitchen. "I don't know why I bother," she mumbled as she put the kettle on to boil.

While she waited for the water to come to a boil, Lindsay answered the phone.

"What?"

"Someone doesn't sound very happy," Brian snarked.

"Brian, I'm in no mood for your shit."

"Whoa! Where is the sweet innocent mother of my son that I know and love?"

"Standing in her kitchen watching water boil."

"Sounds exciting."

"Brian, what do you want? I'm really not in the mood."

"I just called to see how JR is."

"She's still at the dance. Why?"

"When I didn't hear from her again, I..."

"When did you speak to JR?"

"She called me a little while ago."

"What did she say?"

"That her mama Mel was being an ass, spying on her and her date."

"Mel was at the dance?"

"Yes, didn't you know?" he asked with a combination of innocence and sarcasm.

"No I didn't know." Lindsay was now very angry. "Brian, will you do me a favor?"

"Anything."

"Please put Bobby on retainer for me and be prepared to bail me out of jail."

"Why will I need to bail you out of jail?"

"Because I'm going to kill my wife." Lindsay slammed down the phone then stomped through the house and up the stairs to confront her wife.

"Whoops!" Brian said to the silent phone in his hands. "Oh Bobby!" he singsonged as he walked through the conjoined cottages.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 9





“Okay, I’m not sure, but I’ll let you know.” Justin closed his cell phone.

“Not sure about what?” Brian asked as he joined Justin in the sun porch for a mid morning cup of coffee.

“About marching in the PRIDE parade.”

“PRIDE parade? Why the fuck would you want to do that?”

“Um, Bri, we are gay.”

“And your point would be…?”

“We should support our community.”

“I don’t belong to any community,” Brian declared, using the familiar mantra he had always quoted.

“You are so full of shit. What about the community you’ve created at Kinnetik?” Brian nodded reluctantly. “The Jason Kemp Center community?” Brian glared at his husband but nodded in agreement. “To say nothing of the Liberty Avenue community and the community out here where you’re largely responsible for building a new high school. Then there’s Camp Little Flowers and the Farm and…”

“Fuck! Stop! I can’t stand it,” Brian said shaking his head in disbelief. “When did I become so … old … and staid and … respectable?”

Justin chuckled and leaned over and kissed his husband’s cheek. “You’re none of those things. To quote Michael you’ll always be young and beautiful. And you’re scary as hell. I never know what you’ll do next. That hardly makes you staid and respectable.”

“Thanks … I think,” Brian replied.

“So, what do you think about marching?”

“I’ve never marched in the fucking parade and I don’t intend to start now.”

“That sounds suspiciously staid to me,” Justin said with a wicked grin. “You sound to me like you’re stuck in your old ways.”

“Did I hear old in that sentence?”

“You did … and you wouldn’t want that concept attached to your name in any way, now would you?” Justin asked sweetly batting his blond lashes at Brian in his most adorable manner.

“What the fuck started this idea in your little head? Who were you talking to on the phone when I came in?”

“Emmett.”

“Fuck! I might have known that big fairy would be behind this. Why is he touting the PRIDE parade? He hasn’t marched for years either.”

“He’s marching this year, and so is Richie. It’ll be his first time.”

Brian raised a brow. “Emmett’s taking his new son to march in the PRIDE parade?”

“That’s right.”

“Isn’t that a little quick to expose the boy to what happens on PRIDE week?”

“You know that Richie likes to dress up. Emmett thought it would be a good chance for Richie to do that. He’s trying to make the boy feel better about what he is and does. Emmett’s going to dress up too.”

“As what, Cinderella’s fairy godmother?”

“That would be appropriate, but no. He thought he might wear the pink suit he wore when we crashed Michael’s party.”

Brian laughed out loud. “Does he really think he could fit into that thing?”

“I bet he can. That’s what he says he’s going to wear … and they have a dress for Richie.”

“He wants you to march with him?”

“He thought it would be nice to have a little group walk with them. He was getting Debbie to alter Richie’s dress and she hauled out some pictures of Michael’s party. He thought we could relive that auspicious moment in our lives.”

“Mikey won’t like the reminder.”

“He’s okay with it. He knows he was an ass that night.”

“And for most of the time he was with Dr. Dave. Pretentious snobs, both of them.”

“I had fun at that party,” Justin laughed remembering.

“Yeah, so did I,” Brian said with an evil glint in his eye.

“You and that waiter,” Justin replied shaking his head at the memory. Brian had been at his seductive best that night.

“Yeah,” Brian said with a faraway look in his eye.

Justin frowned. “Do you miss that life?”

“Yeah, sometimes,” Brian admitted. Justin winced. “But I like this life a whole lot better.”

“Right answer, buddy,” Justin said with a big smile. “What do you say about reliving that life for one day?”

“You really want to march in the PRIDE parade?”

Justin nodded. “And I’d love to see you in those snakeskin pants once again.”

Brian laughed. “You think those were pants? I had the snakeskin look painted on. I was actually naked.”

Justin laughed too. “You might as well have been naked. They left little to the imagination.”

“That’s exactly what they were supposed to do.”

“Do you still have them?” Brian shook his head and looked sheepish. “You don’t have them anymore?” Justin asked disappointed.

“Unfortunately I do have them,” Brian said. “They cost me a fucking fortune.”

“So, wear them.”

“I don’t think I can get into them anymore,” Brian admitted sadly.

“Sure you can. You haven’t put on a pound in all the years I’ve known you.”

Again Brian shook his head. “I’d look ridiculous.”

“You’d look hot! You always look hot.”

“Justin…”

“Come on, let’s get them out and you can try them on.”

“Fuck!” Brian said as he let Justin pull him to his feet. Taking Brian’s hand, Justin led his reluctant spouse into their bedroom.

“I can’t make it meet,” Brian said dejectedly as he tried to hook the top catch on the snakeskin pants. It had taken them quite a while to get Brian poured into them. They had to be rolled on each leg and eased up gradually. With Justin’s help they had finally got them all the way on, but Justin’s ministrations had caused that special part of Brian’s anatomy to show its appreciation. Brian pulled Justin against him and rubbed his erection against Justin’s groin.

“Stop that,” Justin ordered. “We just got these things on and now you want to take them off.”

“I can just open them,” Brian said with a waggle of his brows.

“They do feel amazing,” Justin agreed. He could feel the smooth fabric against his legs. His own shorts were getting rather tight at the moment too.

Brian took that as an affirmative and unzipped the pants. His erection sprang free before he pushed Justin towards their bed. Justin dropped his shorts and leaned over the end of their bed as Brian quickly entered him from behind. Their fucking was hot and intense and rather rough. Justin kept grabbing Brian’s thigh, running his hands over the snakeskin. Brian drove into Justin’s luscious ass with a fury that he hadn’t felt in many days. Maybe these pants were magical after all.

Finally they climaxed as Brian fell atop his mate. They lay panting like that for a few minutes till their breathing leveled off.

“That was fucking hot!” Brian said when his voice started working again.

“I always loved those pants,” Justin said with a little chuckle.

“They do seem to have some special properties,” Brian observed as he rolled away and sat up. “I wonder if I can get these things done up now that I’ve worked off a pound or two.”

“I’m sure you can. I’ll help you,” Justin offered as he wiped himself off and pulled his shorts back on.

“That might not be such a good idea,” Brian said. “Look what your help just caused.” Brian stood up and easily zipped up the snakeskin pants. He pulled the clasp together at the top and it did up. “Voila!” he said proudly earning a big smile from Justin.

“Daddy! Dada!” Bree yelled as she burst through the door of their bedroom. “I’m hungry.”

“Shit!” Brian whispered to Justin. “We should have locked the fucking door. If her stomach had spoken a few minutes sooner, she would have…”

“But she didn’t,” Justin replied thankfully.

Bree was standing in the doorway staring at her Dada. “What’s that?” she asked pointing at Brian’s snakeskin pants.

“Just some old pants I was trying on,” Brian replied quickly.

“They look like Daddy painted them on you,” she observed.

“Smart girl,” Brian laughed.

“I am smart,” Bree replied. “Why are you trying them on?”

“Dada and I might march in the PRIDE parade,” Justin said by way of explanation. “Dada might wear those for the parade.” Brian glared at his husband.

“I like parades,” Bree said. “Can I march too? I could wear one of my pink dresses.”

“One of your multitudinous pink dresses,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Yay! I’ll go pick one out,” Bree said running out of the room to go make her selection of a dress for the parade.

“I thought she was hungry,” Brian observed.

“She has her priorities.”

“So, I guess we’re marching in the fucking parade.”

“Looks that way,” Justin said with a wink.

“How do I get myself into these things?”

“Must be because you’re doing your best for all the communities you belong to,” Justin said with a smirk.

“So, what are you going to wear? Do you still have that sexy, little crop top?”

Justin laughed. “No, unlike your thousand dollar pants, it didn’t cost me anything. It’s long gone.”

“Too bad,” Brian replied. “You looked like a nasty little boy that night.”

“I can make another one really easily,” Justin volunteered.

“I think I’d like that.”

“Anything for you, you sexy devil in the skintight pants.”

“Let’s go see what our daughter is cooking up for this parade. I can’t believe I’m actually agreeing to do this.”

“It’ll be all right, my big Smoosh,” Justin said as they walked out of the bedroom.



*****



“I thought Halloween was months ago,” John said as he walked into Brian’s kitchen, spying the interesting piece of apparel that happened to be adorning his brother’s lower half. That famous Kinney eyebrow, that he shared with Brian, arched. Justin laughed.

“He made me put them on,” Brian said pointing to his not so innocent spouse. Justin was fixing dinner for Bree and the family.

“Uh huh. And since when can anyone make you do something you really don’t want to do?” John asked with an accusatorial tone.

“Since my darling spouse declared that as a responsible member of the gay community, I should march in this year’s PRIDE parade with the rest of our family who will be marching in support of Richie. This will be his first PRIDE, and he and Emmett will be marching in drag,” Brian sneered.

“So in other words, Emmett called Justin to beg and Justin batted his eyelashes at you,” John summarized as he snatched a piece of sliced pepper off the cutting board and popped it in his mouth.

“Exactly,” Brian confirmed.

“And why the pants? Which by the way should be outlawed. No man should have the right to look that good.”

“My spouse took me on a journey down memory lane and we wanted to see if I could still fit into them,” he said, briefly describing their history.

“Of course you did. Brian, I...” Whatever John was going to say next was cut off by Bobby when he came into the kitchen.

“Holy shit! What are you wearing and where can I get a pair like that for John?” the red head asked with his eyes bugging out. He was practically drooling. He couldn’t help but run his hand down one of Brian’s legs to feel the fabric.

“Hey!” John and Justin both griped as Brian purposely went to the refrigerator, bending as he opened it so they could all get a good view of his snakeskin clad ass.

“You know, Sunshine, I may just enjoy this year’s parade after all,” he said with a smirk then bit into an apple.

John groaned as Bobby nodded appreciatively.

“I think I created a monster,” Justin moaned with a frown as he continued to prepare dinner.

Just then Bree ran into the kitchen. “Dada, I need a new dress for PRIDE! Mine are sooo last season,” Bree announced. Now Brian groaned.

“She is without a doubt your daughter,” Justin said as he and John laughed. Brian scowled at them while Bobby kept quiet, still admiring the pants and what was in them.



*****



“So is Brian going to march?” Debbie asked Emmett via the phone.

“Of course he is. You know he’ll do anything for our little Sunshine.”

“Emm, Brian has never marched in the parade. What makes you think he’ll do it this year?”

“Because now he’ll be doing it for his family. He’ll do almost anything for his family,” Emmett logically declared.

“Yes, he would,” Debbie agreed. She knew just how important family was to her first lost boy. “Sooo...”

“Sooo, we start the gay grapevine and tell everyone we know that the Kinney-Taylor family and all its members will be marching in this year’s parade!” Emmett and Debbie laughed with glee. “Tootles, Deb, I have some phone calls to make!”

“Bye, Emm. I have a few calls to make myself.”



*****



“Hey, what took you so long? I was beginning to get worried,” Gus asked as he met the late Greyhound bus that was bringing Ray from New York to Pittsburgh.

“There was an accident on the highway; it was backed up for miles,” Ray explained.

“As long as you got here,” Gus said as he discreetly ran his hand down Ray’s cheek.

“Yeah. Are we staying with your moms?” Ray asked as they walked out of the bus terminal.

“No, Pop gave me the okay for us to stay at the loft. We have a whole week together there, but we do have to make an appearance for dinner sometime.”

“I figured that. How are they? Things were kinda tense after the barbecue.”

“Still tense, I can’t wait until I stay at Edna’s Treasures for July. I don’t understand why Mama makes such a big stink over some things. It’s not like JR is planning to run away and marry Curtis. They’re just friends and what if they do get together. Curtis is cool and he likes JR.”

“They’re parents, Gus, and parents get stupid sometimes.”

“I guess so. But it seems just when things are really good between Mom and Mama, something happens to fuck it up. I just wish they’d chill like Pop and Justin. They’re so good together no matter what happens.”

“Yeah, my dads are cool like that too. Must be a lesbian thing.”

“Maybe. Come on, mom let me borrow her car this time so we don’t have to walk.”

“Cool!” Ray said as he followed Gus to where the car was parked.

“Hey, is that guy still stalking you?” Gus asked as he carefully pulled out into traffic.

“Yeah, sorta. I’m glad you’re coming for our PRIDE week. Maybe he’ll get the hint that I’m taken.”

“He better,” Gus growled low a la his father.

“Yeah,” Ray murmured. They drove to the loft in silence.



*****



“Mama, can I march in the PRIDE parade this year?” JR asked Mel. They were quietly enjoying dinner for a change.

“Sure baby, of course you can,” Mel happily replied. “Your mother and I will be marching with the equal marriage rights movement.

“Oh,” JR said softly.

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?” Lindsay asked hearing that tone in JR’s voice.

“It’s just that I want to march with PFLAG?”

“PFLAG? What the fuck for?” Mel asked indignantly.

“Well I am a member.”

“Yeah, so? We should march as a family.”

“I will be. The family is going to march with PFLAG this year.”

“No, YOUR family is marching with the equal marriage rights committee this year.”

“Mel, why don’t we ask JR why she wants to march with PFLAG,” Lindsay asked reasonably, but knowing this was going to lead to another argument.

“I got a call from Curtis...”

“I knew it,” Mel screamed as she stood up from the table. “And I suppose his fag fathers will be marching as well.”

“Yes, I think so. Me and Curtis are members of the Rainbow club at school and we...”

“I forbid you to march with them. If you don’t march with us, you don’t march at all!”

“Melanie, you’re being unreasonable.”

“How did I know you’d take her side in this?”

“I’m not taking sides. I see nothing wrong with JR wanting to march with the family in PFLAG.”

“What do you mean with the family? I thought it was just Curtis and his family.”

“No it isn’t. I got a call from Debbie earlier. She said that the whole family is going to march with PFLAG with the GLC.”

“The whole family?” Melanie’s suspicious mind would pick up on that.

“Deb said that Emmett wants to introduce Richie to PRIDE. They’ll be marching cross-dressed.”

“Oh, well, if it’s in support of Richie then maybe it’ll be all right. That boy needs to feel a part of something.”

Lindsay and JR began to relax.

“I thought you meant that Brian was finally going to get off his pedestal and march.”

“Well, Debbie did say....”

“I knew it! You won’t march with me but you’d march for that asshole. That fucking rots! JR, if you don’t march with me and your mother, you don’t march at all.”

“I hate you!” JR shouted as she ran from the kitchen and up to her room.

“Melanie!” Lindsay shouted in shock.

“I won’t budge on this, Linds. JR is my daughter not his; I’ve had enough of his inference. I can’t do a thing about Gus, but I can put my foot down when it comes to my daughter.”

“Our daughter, Mel. PRIDE is about being proud of yourself and having freedom of choice. If you can’t or won’t understand that then I won’t march with you either,” Lindsay said as she left the kitchen as well.

“I won’t give in. Not this time,” Melanie said to herself all alone in her kitchen.



*****



“Daddy?”

“What’s wrong, honeybun?” Michael asked JR hearing her sniffle on the phone.

“I can’t take it anymore. Can I live with you and Uncle Ben?”

“Can’t take what, baby?”

“Mama. She said that if I don’t march with her then I can’t march at all in the PRIDE parade. Daddy, I want to march with the family.”

Michael was silent for a moment. He had never encountered this problem before and he wasn’t sure what the mother of his daughter would do.

“Daddy, you still there?”

“I’m here, honey.”

“Can I come over there? Please, Daddy.” Michael could hear her crying.

“All right, honeybun. Give me some time to talk to Ben and we’ll drive over.”

“Thank you, Daddy,” JR said with relief. “I’ll be waiting. Bye, Daddy. I love you.”

“I love you too,” Michael replied before he hung up the phone.

“What’s wrong?” Ben asked hearing Michael’s end of the conversation.

“Plenty,” Michael replied then filled in his spouse.

“Michael, I agree, Melanie has gone a little too far this time. But I think we need help when we pick up JR.”

“Brian?”

“No, your mother.”

Michael nodded; his mother was the only one in the family that Melanie ever really listened to. “Okay, I’ll call her,” Michael said as he picked up the phone.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 10





Melanie rolled her eyes when she saw who was knocking on her front door. Since the argument with JR and Lindsay, Lindsay had locked herself in the bathroom and JR was holed up in her room. Melanie was not in the mood for guests. Seeing Debbie, Michael and Ben on her doorstep wasn’t what she was in the mood for.

“What are you doing here?” Mel asked as she swung open the door.

“Can’t I visit with my only granddaughter when I want to?” Debbie retorted as she pushed passed Melanie.

“What’s your excuse?” Mel growled at Michael.

“We drove Ma,” was all he could answer. Ben stayed quiet.

“Yeah, right. Did JR call you?” Mel asked Debbie.

“No, she did not and don’t you use that tone of voice with me young lady,” Deb said pointing a very sharp finger at Mel. “You know how much I love you and my Jenny Rebecca. I’m just here because I want to help.”

“I don’t need your help.”

“And I think you do! Melanie, JR is growing up; she’s fourteen years old, not a baby. There are some things she can decide for herself. Why are you making such a big to-do over her marching with us with PFLAG?”

“Because I’m her mother and she should do what I say.”

“Even if what you say is unreasonable?”

“Is it unreasonable to ask to have my family’s support on an issue that I’ve work toward for most of my adult life?”

“No, honey, it’s not but there are lots of ways to show support. The fact that JR has chosen to march at all shows how much she supports you and Lindsay. This would be JR’s first PRIDE, not counting the times when she was in her stroller. She wants to march because she is a member of her Rainbow Club at school and PFLAG,” Debbie was trying to explain.

“Melanie, I never felt the need or desire to march,” Ben interjected, “and then we got a call from Emmett. Michael and I discussed it and decided, why not.”

“But why now? After all these years, why now?” Mel asked.

“Because Emmett asked. And while I’ve always been proud of what I am, this time it’s about instilling some pride into the next generation.”

“You mean Richie.”

“Richie and others like him who feel they have to hide what they are. Or like JR and Curtis who are the children of alternative families.”

“So you’re saying by marching with PFLAG, in essence JR is supporting my cause?”

“The fact that she’s chosen to march is a testament to how she was brought up.”

“That doesn’t explain what you’re doing here.”

“JR called me,” Michael blurted out. “She wants to come home with us.”

“With you?”

“Yes.”

“My daughter wants to run away from home and you're enabling her,” Mel accused.

“I’m not enabling anything. She called, I’m here and I’d like to see her,” Michael said calmly. Mel gave him an evil look then shouted up the stairs.

“JR, YOUR FATHER IS HERE! I suppose I should be grateful she didn’t call Brian,” Mel grumbled as JR stomped down the stairs and straight into Michael’s arms.

“Hiya, honeybun.”

“Hi, Daddy. Daddy, can I please go home with you and Uncle Ben?”

“Why, sweetheart?” Debbie asked.

“Because I can’t stand it anymore. I feel like I’m drowning. I can’t breathe here. Everything I say or do is wrong.”

“That’s not true,” Mel said.

“Maybe not, honey, but JR feels like it is,” Debbie said gently as she gave Melanie a hug. “It’s not for forever; maybe you all just need a break. I know how hard you work and this was JR’s first year of high school. Don’t you remember how tough that was? Be grateful that she didn’t really run away. She’s only a few blocks away and with her dads. Please, Melanie.”

“You mean before things get any worse.”

“Possibly. Come into the kitchen with me,” Debbie said as she steered Mel toward the kitchen. She cocked her head at Michael indicating he should take JR upstairs to pack. Michael and Ben took the weeping girl up to her room.

“Honey, I love you. I’ve always tried to see your side of things. I know your family and Lindsay’s were never supportive or even acknowledged your children, so I’m begging you to hear me out and let JR stay with her dads for a while.”

“I don’t know…”

“You know it was pointed out to me the other day that I have very little experience with girls.”

“What do you mean?”

“Emmett made that comment when I was taking in Richie’s dress. He said I was so used to mothering boys.”

“He does have a point.”

“Yes, he does. Sweetheart, don’t you remember high school, the pressure to fit in, to do well. And when the hormones hit...”

“Oh god, I hated when I first got my period. I always thought that anyone who looked at me knew I was wearing a pad.”

“I remember having an argument with my mother practically every morning. The only place I felt safe was with Vic and his friends. I always knew he was different and he didn’t mind that I hung out with him. They kinda liked it cause I had a great right hook. No one picked on any of them when I was with them.

“Honey, JR needs to be with people that accept her for what she is.”

“And you’re saying I don’t.”

“I’m saying you should examine why it’s so important for JR to march with you. Can’t you just be proud that she’s marching with her peers? The point is that she feels comfortable and proud to march at all.”

“So I should just let her go with Michael?”

“It’s not like you’re kicking her out of the house. Look at what happened to Richie. He didn’t do anything wrong and neither is JR. She’s trying to stretch her wings. Don’t stifle her, not on this. This isn’t a major battle. She didn’t say that she was running away to join the circus or a commune, she only wants to march with her friends and family. It was you and Lindsay that helped to make JR confident enough to do that. Do you understand?”

“In other words, I should pick my battles carefully?”

“Yes, but I want you to remember what you did to have her. Don’t throw away all of your sacrifice for your pride. Give yourself and JR a break. School is almost over; let JR stay with her dads for now and maybe part of the summer. She’s only a few blocks away. Maybe Michael can give her a job.”

“She’s too young.”

“Not to help out in her dad’s store. Look, it’s getting late. You’re tired and I’m sure JR is tired. Let Michael and Ben take her home. I’ll make dinner on Sunday and we can all calmly talk about this then. Okay, sweetheart?”

Melanie nodded with tears in her eyes.

“JR!” Debbie called up the stairs. In a minute she heard JR’s door open. JR, Ben, Michael and Lindsay came down the stairs. “Hi, Lindsay.”

“Deb,” Lindsay replied somewhat curtly. She wasn’t all that sure that this was the right solution, but it was the only alternative that made any sense at the moment.

JR had her school bag over her shoulder. Michael and Ben were carrying a couple of suitcases and stopped just in front of the door waiting for confirmation. No one spoke.

“JR, kiss your mothers good night and you will call them tomorrow,” Debbie instructed as she took charge of the situation.

“Good night, Mommy,” JR said as she gave Lindsay a hug and a kiss.

“I love you, sweetheart,” Lindsay said as she returned the hug and kiss. “You call us every day.”

“I will.”

“JR?” Mel said meekly as she held open her arms. JR moved into them. “I love you, baby.”

“I love you too, Mama,” JR whispered then followed her Grandmother and fathers out the door.

“This is all my fault,” Mel said with tears steaming down her face as she watched her daughter drive away.

“Yes, it is,” Lindsay said coolly as she walked up the stairs into her room. Mel could hear the old tumble lock on their door catch.

Melanie sighed, locked up the house, cleaned up the kitchen then went to sleep in JR’s room.



*****



“Dada, Dada, Dada, Dada!” Bree repeated, her voice getting higher with each repetition.

“Your sister is practically pulling my shorts off,” Brian said into the phone. Bree had been yanking on the leg of Brian’s shorts to punctuate each time she said Dada. “I better give her the phone or she’ll rip them off me.”

“Okay, Pop,” Gus said with a chuckle. “I’ll talk to you later.”

Brian handed the phone to Bree. “Gus!” she shrieked. “Where are you? When are you coming to see me? I miss you. Dada and Daddy said I could march in the PRIDE parade. Will you march with me? And Ray too?”

“Take a breath, short stuff,” Gus laughed. “You’ll make yourself sick.”

“But I miss you. Come see me.”

“I’ll see you in a couple of days.”

“Now!” Bree said decisively.

“Um … I can’t, Bree. I’ll march in the PRIDE parade with you, and then I’m coming to stay at Edna’s Treasures. You’ll see me every day for most of the summer.”

“You promise?” Bree asked. Tears threatened to spill from her eyes. She had missed her brother so much since he was there for the Memorial Day weekend.

“I promise,” Gus said solemnly. “I’m going to work at Kinnetik in Harrisburg, and I’ll be there every morning and every day after work.”

“’Kay,” Bree said with a hitch in her voice.

“I love you, short stuff.”

“I love you too, Gus,” Bree said before she handed the phone back to her father.

“Is she okay, Pop?” Gus asked.

“She’s fine. She just misses you whenever you’re not here.”

“I hate that I’m so close and yet so far from her. Maybe I should come out there this week.”

“Suit yourself, Sonny boy, but I wouldn’t advise it.”

“You wouldn’t? Why not?” Gus asked puzzled.

“You’ll be setting a precedent that will be hard to live up to. If she cries and begs on the phone, you arrive. You better start saving for airline tickets when you go to N’Rgy in New York.”

“Oh, right!”

“Bree will be fine,” Brian said reassuringly. “Just make sure you’re here next week.”

“I will be, Pop.”

“And decide if you want to march with us in the parade. I … might embarrass you a little,” Brian admitted.

“You could never embarrass me, Pop.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that.”

“What are you talking about?”

“You’ll see on Saturday.”

“Well, I promised Bree I would march with her, and she’ll be with you, won’t she?”

“Only if we can find her the perfect pink dress,” Brian said with a snort.

“She’s such a fashionista. You trained her well,” Gus laughed.

“Too well. See you Saturday.”

“Bye, Pop.”

Brian hung up the phone in the kitchen. “Where did Bree go?”

“She’s in the sun porch,” Justin said as he continued to fix dinner.

“Should I talk to her?”

Justin chuckled. “How should I know? You know if you want to talk to her or not.”

“You’re no help at all,” Brian griped.

“You’re a big boy. Figure it out for yourself.”

“Thanks, uber bitch!”

Justin laughed. “Calling me names you usually reserve for Melanie won’t get you any tonight.”

“Oops,” Brian said with a sheepish grin. “My sweet hubby, please forgive me.”

“Now you’re making my sugar level go critical,” Justin laughed again.

“I’m going to talk to your daughter, before I kill you.”

“Good plan,” Justin said shaking his head and laughing as Brian walked by heading for the sun porch.

Brian stopped in the doorway. Bree was seated at her little pink baby grand piano. She wasn’t playing just sitting and staring out the window of the sun porch.

“Squirt, you okay?” Brian asked gently as he approached her.

Bree nodded but didn’t say anything. Brian squeezed onto the end of the little bench and gave Bree a hug.

“You’ll see Gus on the weekend,” Brian said.

“I know.”

“So, what’s making you so sad?”

“I wanted to play a new song for Gus, but I know all the ones in this book. I need a new book,” Bree replied in a whisper.

“I’m sure Gus will be happy to hear whatever you play for him.”

Bree shook her head as Brian released her from the hug. “I want a new song,” Bree repeated.

“Do you still want lessons on a big piano?”

Bree nodded. “I really, really, really do.”

Brian smiled. “Do you want to start soon or wait till Gus goes to New York, or maybe till you go back to school?”

Bree frowned. “I don’t know, Dada. I want them now.”

“I don’t think we can get you lessons immediately,” Brian said running his hand over Bree’s hair. “We need to check out who teaches piano … nearby.”

“Oh.”

“Play something for me?” Brian requested.

“’Kay , Dada,” Bree said, launching into her rendition of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.

Justin smiled as he finished making dinner. Everything seemed to be right in his world.



*****



“Gus?”

“Mom? I know we were supposed to come to dinner but...”

“It’s okay, lambskin,” Lindsay said as she was fighting back her tears.

“Mom? What’s wrong?”

“Everything. JR left us.”

“What do you mean?”

“We had a fight. She left to stay with her father.”

“Who had a fight? I thought everything got better after the dance.”

“It did, for all of two seconds. JR and your Mama had a disagreement over PRIDE.”

“What disagreement? I thought JR was going to march in the parade with PFLAG. What could Mama have against that?”

Ray sidled closer to Gus as he heard Gus’ end of the conversation.

“Mel wants us all to march with the marriage rights committee.”

“Oh for fuck’s sake!” Gus blurted out sounding so much like his father when he had to deal with Mel’s idiosyncrasies. “Mom, I love Mama but sometimes...”

“I know, honey. I love her too but right now I don’t like her very much.”

“Where’s JR?”

“She’s going to stay with Michael for a while. Maybe they’ll both cool off after PRIDE. It’s a good thing you and Ray missed dinner. Did he get in all right?”

“Yeah, his bus was late. I’ll drop off the car tomorrow.”

“No problem. Just as long as it’s off Tremont during PRIDE. You know how crowded the streets will get.”

“Yeah. Mom, it’ll be okay. Mama will come around. She always does.”

“I hope so. She’s becoming more and more irrational lately.”

“Mom, I hate to say this but maybe she needs to see a doctor or something.”

“You mean a shrink?”

“NO! I mean a doctor doctor. Just because I’m a man doesn’t mean I’m insensitive to women’s issues,” Gus tried to sound reasonable. He really was worried about his Mama. His parents were getting older.

“So you think you’re a man, do you?” Lindsay said with a little smirk on her face. Her son was growing up and at times so wise beyond his years. He also had that Kinney wicked sense of humor.

“Yeah, and that makes me the man of the house. Even though I’m not there all the time. Mom, I mean it. Weird things happen to women when they get older.”

“Are you implying that I’m old?”

“No, but you hid very little from me when I was growing up. Every time I’d open the bathroom closet, there’d be boxes and boxes of feminine products on the shelf. Now there’s very little. And I know for a fact that JR hides her stuff in her room. Mom, you and Mama are NOT old, just older. Do you know what I mean?”

“Yes, Gus, I know what you mean and I’ll take it all under advisement.”

“Good. So, I’ll see you at the parade?”

“I’ll be there. I love you, lambskin. Behave yourself and take good care of your dad’s loft.”

“I will and I love you too, Mom.”

Gus sighed loudly as he hung up the phone. He leaned a little onto Ray for emotional support.

“Come on, let’s go take a shower,” Ray gently suggested.

“Okay,” Gus said softly. The boys made sure the loft was secure and the alarm activated before going to the bedroom and into the huge shower.

Ray took extra care as he lovingly washed Gus. Under the warm spray, Ray slowly dragged a soapy sponge across the smooth skin of Gus’ back and chest. When Gus was thoroughly cleansed, he reciprocated. Afterwards, wrapped in thick fluffy towels the boys rested on top of the duvet on the big loft bed.

The boys did nothing but fondly gaze into each other’s eyes.

Ray began to giggle then screw up his face.

“What’s so funny?” Gus asked.

“Not funny, really. Actually it’s kinda gross.”

“What is?” Gus wasn’t following.

“Feminine products?” Ray asked and then began laughing in earnest.

“You try growing up with lesbians!”

“No thanks, I’ve been traumatized enough.” Gus’ eyebrows rose into his hairline. “Nothing bad, I swear. It’s just, one time I ran out of clean t-shirts so I went into my dad’s closet and I accidentally found their toy chest.”

“Ewwww!” Gus exclaimed.

“Yup.”

Both boys broke out into laughter and began to roll around on the bed. When the towels wound up on the floor, the laughter came to an abrupt halt. There were more important things to be done with their mouths.


Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 11





“Your stalker is back,” Gordon said with a smirk as he glanced over John’s shoulder. Samantha was standing on the sidewalk watching the construction of the new schools.

“You know, Brian used to refer to Justin as his stalker,” John remarked with a sigh.

“That story has a happy ending. This, unfortunately won’t.”

“No, it won’t. I guess I better get this over with,” John said with resignation as he turned to face the music. “Hi,” he greeted Samantha.

“Hi. Have you heard anything yet?”

“No, not yet. I called Dan; he thinks we’ll know soon. Samantha, I have to ask, what will you do if the test shows I’m Grace’s father? Will you tell her?”

“I don’t know. After all this time, I’m not sure if it’ll do any good except to disrupt her life. That’s why she doesn’t know I’m doing this. And if it turns out that Warren is her father, then no harm done.”

“Samantha, Warren was her father no matter what the tests will show. And as for no harm being done...”

“I’m sorry if my search for the truth created a wedge between you and your partner,” Samantha said with an insincere tone. “Maybe you need to rethink your situation.”

“Maybe you need to rethink your motives. My relationship with my husband has never been stronger. My brother and his partner’s support of me and Bobby has never wavered. I have to get back to work. Samantha, I’m truly sorry your husband died; he sounded like a nice guy. But I can’t be what you think I can be. I’ll make sure Dr. Morrison notifies you as soon as possible. ”

With that, John turned and strode back to his construction site.



*****



“Dada, I like this dress,” Bree said as she pointed to a two-piece outfit that had a rainbow on the t-shirt top. The accompanying mini-skirt was pink.

Bree had gone into Harrisburg with her father ostensibly to check in with Part Deux, but also for Bree to pick out that special outfit for PRIDE. Brian found that the picturesque city had a lot to offer in the way of fashionable little girl wear.

“Why am I not surprised,” Brian mumbled to himself. His daughter was truly the result of their alternative family. Before taking the dress to the checkout line, they stopped by the shoe department. Brian wanted to make sure Bree had appropriate footwear for walking, and it didn’t hurt that said footwear was pink with a big purple buckle.

“Thank you, Dada,” Bree said with a big smile as she and Brian walked through the parking lot toward the car. He held her little hand tightly as Bree skipped along beside him. Brian had a big bag in his other hand filled with her new PRIDE outfit.



*****



A loud rumble from the yard caught Jamie’s attention. She put down her sketchpad and walked to the back door.

“Yes! Yes! Yes!” Leda said as she steered the three-wheeled all terrain vehicle around the large yard. “Hop on,” she called to Jamie. Leda pulled up to the back of the house to let Jamie on the back of the seat. Jamie laughed with delight as she hung onto her lover while they made figure eights in the grass.



*****



“You look beautiful, honey,” Debbie said as Richie aka Nina, modeled the now tailored dress for her and Emmett. Emmett sniffled with the tears of pride twinkling in his eyes. The proper undergarments made the dress look just right on the slim young man.

“I feel transformed,” Nina replied as she studied herself in the mirror. “Thank you, Mrs. Horvath.”

“You’re welcome, sweetheart, and it’s Grandma. You’re one of my boys now,” she said as she wrapped her arms around her newest lost boy. “And I’d be very happy to march with you and your...”

Debbie wasn’t sure how to refer to Emmett and Drew. She didn’t want to presume that Richie considered them his parents yet. The family had only been together for less than two months.

“My dads. And I’d be very happy if you’d march with me and my dads,” Nina beamed.

“Oh oh oh!” tripped out of Emmett’s mouth as he tightly hugged his son while Debbie pressed a wad of tissues into Emm’s hand.

“Congratulations, Emmett, it’s a boy...and a girl!” Debbie quipped with a smile as she went to the kitchen to make a fresh pot of coffee.



*****



“Curtis?” JR said into her cell phone.

“Hi, JR, what’s up?”

“I … I’m at my dads’.”

“Your dads’? How come?”

“I had a fight with Mama.”

“I thought she was okay about us being together?”

“She’s never okay with anything I do,” JR sighed.

“Did she get on your case again … about going out with me?” Curtis was getting angry. This was all pure bullshit.

“No, it wasn’t about that,” JR started to explain.

“Then what the hell was it about?”

“I’m going to march in the PRIDE parade,” JR stated.

“Yeah, my dads are too. They asked me if I wanted to go with them.”

“Have you decided that you will?” JR asked, hoping Curtis might be there with her.

“I … I haven’t decided,” Curtis said uncertainly. “I’m not gay.”

JR giggled. “I know.”

“But people … will think I am … if I’m in the parade.”

“Who cares what they think. I don’t,” JR said.

“You’re always so … decisive.”

“Mama would say I was just stubborn and a spoiled brat,” JR said sadly.

“She’d be wrong,” Curtis declared. “You’re just brave … and smart … and great.”

JR laughed. “I knew there was a reason I liked you.”

“More than one, I hope.”

“Many.”

“That’s good to know,” Curtis said with a big smile spreading across his face. “So, were you fighting with your mom about the parade?”

“Yeah.”

“So what happened?”

“My dads are going to march with PFLAG.”

“That’s who my dads will march with too.”

“That’s what I intend to do as well. I belong to the Rainbow Club at school, so do you. I want to be with them in the parade, and they’re marching with PFLAG.”

“So…?”

“My mama is going to march with the equal marriage rights movement … and she wants me to be there with her.”

“What’s the difference?” Curtis asked with a frown.

“That’s exactly what I asked. I’m still marching in the parade. But she says I’m not supporting her.”

“Is she a little … crazy?” Curtis asked tentatively.

JR giggled. “I wonder that all the time.”

“I never know what to expect from her.”

“That makes two of us.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Curtis asked.

“I’m staying with my dads until after the parade. I’m going to march with them.”

“I hate to see you fighting with your mom,” Curtis said softly. He knew the value of having parents … and not having them. The first was far preferable to the latter.

“I hate fighting with her too, but … she never listens to me. I’m always wrong. I never do anything right,” JR stated. “Sometimes I really hate her.”

“No you don’t,” Curtis contradicted.

“Yes, I do.”

“You’re just too much like her,” Curtis declared. “That’s why you two don’t get along.”

“I am not like her,” JR objected.

“Yeah, you are,” Curtis repeated. “But you’re a lot nicer about everything.”

JR frowned. “How do you think I’m like my mother?” She was genuinely curious.

“You’re both so strong and definite about things.”

“Yeah, I guess we are,” JR admitted.

“Neither of you back down when you think you’re right. That’s why you had this fight.”

JR’s frown increased. She knew Curtis was right. “What should I do?” she asked confused.

Curtis laughed gently. “There’s not much you can do,” he said. “Each of you is what you are, and you’re not likely to change. Just be sure that you pick the fights that matter. This one doesn’t seem so important, at least that’s how it seems to me.”

There was silence on the line for a few minutes as JR thought about what Curtis had just said.

“JR?”

“Yeah, sorry, just thinking.”

“I know what it’s like to be all alone. You’ve got four parents. Don’t lose any of them.” Curtis thought JR needed to hear that. It was too easy to take for granted what you had. “I’m sorry if I upset you,” Curtis added when JR didn’t respond.

“You didn’t upset me.”

“Good.”

“Will you march in the parade with your dads … and me?”

“I guess I could be talked into it,” Curtis grinned. JR sounded okay once again.

“And how would I talk you into it?”

“Tell me that you’ll hold my hand while we march,” Curtis teased.

“Is that so everyone will know you’re not gay?” JR giggled.

“It’s so everyone will know you’re with me.”

JR smiled broadly. “Consider yourself talked into it,” she said cheerfully.

“Done,” Curtis said before he cut the connection.



*****



“What are we going to do about the PRIDE parade?” Ben asked as he sat down on the sofa with Michael.

“What do you mean? We’re marching with Ma and PFLAG.”

“I know, but then there’s Mel and our daughter to consider.”

“What are you saying – that we should march with the equal marriage rights group?”

“No, that’s not what I’m saying. But I do think we need to sort out this mess between JR and her mother,” Ben said gently.

“And just how the fuck are we going to do that?”

“I have no idea. I thought maybe you’d have an answer.”

“Well, I don’t,” Michael said shaking his head.

“Could JR march half of the parade route with us, and then the rest of the parade with her mothers?”

“Hm,” Michael said thinking about that. “We’d have to talk JR into that, but it might work…”

Ben smiled and kissed Michael’s cheek. “It’s worth a try.”

Michael grinned. “Trust you to make things better.”

“Always, where my family is concerned.”

“What are you going to wear?”

“I hadn’t thought about it. Why?”

“Um…”

“Is there something you’re not telling me?”

“A long time ago I dressed up as a woman and marched with my mother.”

“You did?” Ben asked with a chuckle. “I bet you were a real looker. What made you do that?”

“It, um, was before I came out at work. Ma wanted me to march with her, and I didn’t want anyone to know that I was gay.”

“People who aren’t gay march in the PRIDE parade too.”

“I know, but I was worried they’d find out about me at work.”

“Did they?”

“No,” Michael laughed. “In fact I got back at one of the assholes I worked with.”

“And how did you do that?”

“I saw a group from work along the parade route. I went over and kissed that asshole Andrew. He didn’t know what hit him.” Michael laughed heartily at the memory.

“Didn’t he recognize you?” Ben asked.

Michael shook his head. “Nope, he thought I was a woman … or maybe not. Who knows? I think he enjoyed the kiss.”

“You must have made quite a woman,” Ben said waggling his eyebrows.

“Emmett said I turned out pretty good,” Michael laughed. “I wore Godiva’s dress.”

“I’ve heard of Godiva.”

“Yeah, she was pretty special to Emmett, and she died just before that parade.”

“So, are you going to dress as a woman for this parade?” Ben asked.

“Would you like it if I did?”

Ben raised an eyebrow and gave that question considerable thought.



*****



“Uncle Brian?” JR said tentatively into her phone as Brian answered his cell.

“That’s me. And what can I do for you, little lady?” Brian asked using the same endearment his brother used for JR.

“Uncle Brian, I have a problem.”

“Don’t we all,” he snarked. “How can I help?”

“Uncle Bri, I still don’t know what to do about the parade.”

“What about the parade?” Brian asked and then he heard Michael’s voice in the background calling JR to dinner. “Jenny Rebecca, is your dad visiting your house?” Brian was unaware of JR’s temporary change of address.

“No,” JR mumbled.

“Before we discuss anything further about the parade I think you better explain,” Brian said sternly. JR could practically see her uncle’s eyebrow arch. She quickly explained what had transpired with her moms. “So let me get this straight...you ran away from home to your dads’ house because Mel is pissed that you’re going to march with PFLAG instead of her and the equal marriage rights committee.”

“Yeah.”

“Put Mikey on the phone,” Brian demanded.

“Okay,” she said meekly. Her mother wasn’t the only one pissed. “DAAAD! Uncle Bri’s on the phone,” JR shouted into the air.

“Fuck!” Brian exclaimed as he quickly pulled the phone away from his ear. “That girl sounds more and more like Debbie every fucking day,” he grumbled.

“Bri?”

“Mikey! What the fuck is going on in the Pitts?”

“I’m not sure how it happened. One minute Ben and I were sitting down to dinner and the next we’re at the girls’ house with Ma, picking up JR. I love it that she’s here but she’s so upset. I don’t know how to make it better.”

“Sometimes, Mikey, you just can’t make it better.”

“We have to try.”

Both men remained silent for a moment. Michael had no clue how to help his daughter other than being there for her and providing a home.

“Michael, you and the professor going to march with the family?”

“Yeah.”

“And the family is marching with the GLC.”

“Yeah, the GLC hosts a chapter of PFLAG.”

“Is my old friend Tannis still the head dyke of the GLC?”

“Yes, she is. Why?”

“Just curious. Gotta go, Mikey, I’ll see you at the parade.”

“Brian, what are you up to?”

“Moi? Nothing. Good night, Mikey. Give JR and the professor a kiss for me!” Brian quipped before he hung up.

“Asshole,” Michael mumbled as he hung up. But he gave his daughter and his husband a kiss anyway when he joined them for supper.

“Tannis, my old friend!” Brian said cheerfully into his phone when the no nonsense woman answered.

“What can I do for you, Kinney?” she replied curtly. After all this time, Tannis was still a bit suspicious of Brian. Brian smirked at the tension in her voice.

“So good of you to ask. Now about this parade...”


Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Pride Goeth...


Chapter 12




‘I look ridiculous,’ Brian thought to himself as he studied his reflection in the mirror. It was early in the morning, the day of the PRIDE parade. The Edna’s Treasures clan was preparing to drive into Pittsburgh to march with the rest of the family and show their support.

Brian was wearing his snakeskin pants; however, instead of wearing his usual black shirt Brian chose a cream colored sleeveless button down silk shirt. The shirt accentuated the taut muscles of his tanned arms. He looked fabulous and gorgeous as hell.

Brian scowled.

“We’re just about ready to go,” John announced as he walked into Brian’s bedroom. “What’s wrong?” John asked noting the look of disdain on his brother’s face.

“To quote Michael, I look like an over-the-hill club boy.”

“Brian, I know you and Michael are very close but sometimes he talks out of his ass.” Brian snorted out a laugh.

“You look good,” Brian commented as he spied his brother in the mirror. John was wearing jeans and his well worn construction boots but instead of wearing a regular t-shirt, at Bobby’s request, John was wearing a sleeveless t-shirt.

“Bobby said and I quote, ‘You have just as many muscles as your brother; you’re allowed to show them off every once in a while.’ So I guess I’m showing them off.”

“At least you don’t look ridiculous.”

“Neither do you.”

“John, I’m almost fifty.”

“And? Brian, you could be a hundred and two and still not be over-the-hill. We’re going to show our support. From what I hear almost the whole family will be participating. Gus is thrilled to be marching with his father and boyfriend.”

“I thought he was just going to watch.”

“He changed his mind, or rather I think Emmett got to him. Emmett has really rallied the troops.”

“Yeah, he got a lot of the retired drag queens to air out their finery for the day. Even Danny plans on bringing Divina out to play.”

“So I’ve been told. I can’t wait to see him with your mother,” John smirked.

“I wish she’d stay home or at least watch from the sidelines. She’s still recovering.”

“Stop with the mother hen act. Your mother’s a big girl and it’s not like we’re running. We’re strolling down the street at a leisurely pace. And there’s plenty of places for her duck into and sit along the way. She’ll be fine.”

Brian sighed.

“Brian, this is a very special day for the family. Think about it, you’re going to march with your children, and with practically your whole cwazy wittle family. Molly is coming with Taylor and Owen. Jenn and Seth will be there, and of course, Debbie and Carl. This may never happen again.”

“I realize that but...”

“But what?”

“Look at me, I’m wearing twenty year old pants!” Brian whined as he turned to face his brother. John laughed out loud.

“Emmett is going to wear that pink Chanel suit I keep hearing about.”

“Yeah, so?”

“Well if you march next to him, no one will ever notice your pants,” John deadpanned.

The brothers Kinney burst out into laughter. They laughed until their sides ached.

“So, are you all right with this?” John asked when they quieted down. They were again looking at their reflections in the mirror. John scanned his brother in the infamous pants.

“Yeah, but I’m bringing several pair of jeans with me and stashing them along the parade route just in case,” Brian said with a straight face.

The brothers again broke out into laughter.



*****



“So have you decided what to wear today?” Ben asked innocently snickering. Michael just rolled his eyes.

“I’m wearing what I always wear,” came the glib answer.

“No fancy gown?”

“Nope, no gown. No wig, lipstick, eye shadow or high heels. I have no clue how women walk in those things. My feet never recovered. Just me in jeans and a shirt.”

“Sounds a bit boring.”

“Really? You think I’m boring?” Michael said with a pout. Ben wrapped his still heavily muscled arms around the smaller man.

“I love boring,” he whispered into Michael’s ear. “I love you.”

Michael smiled as he was thoroughly kissed.



*****



Jamie stretched with a yawn; she realized she was once again alone in their bed. The rumbling noise coming from the backyard was a good indication where her missing spouse was currently. She threw on a t-shirt and shorts to walk out back. Leda smiled as she saw her partner standing at the back door.

“Did I wake you?”

“Not you, it!” Jamie said with a twinkle in her eyes as she pointed to the offending machine. “So are we going to be riding that thing?”

“Yes, if you’re willing. I just attached the temporary license plate and gave it another test drive.”

“So I heard.”

“Are you up for this? We don’t have to ride it; we can ride my Lethal bike instead.”

“No, I’d be proud to ride with you on your new creation,” Jamie said softly. Leda crossed the yard in a few easy strides to stand next to her lover.

“Thank you,” she said.

“For what?” Jamie asked.

“For being so loving and supportive. I’m so happy that you’re in my corner.”

“It’s just where I want to be,” Jamie said just before she pulled her lover back into the house and back into their bedroom.



*****



“Are you sure I look all right?”

“You look very sophisticated,” Drew said as Emmett studied his made up face in the mirror. “Why?”

“It’s taking a hell of a lot more concealer to get that radiant glow that I used to have.”

“You always have a glow,” Drew reassured his mate.

“Thank you, sweetie, but I think they call that sweat, from when I’m slaving away at the oven. Let’s face it, honey, I am no longer that sweet young thing that you swept off his feet.”

“Babe, it was you who did all the sweeping. You’re beautiful and I love you with or without concealer.”

“Oh honey, you say the sweetest things,” Emmett sniffled.

“No tears, you’ll make your mascara run.”

“That’s what they make waterproof makeup for,” Emmett replied as he put the finishing touches onto his face.

“Can you see if Richie needs any help with his dress?” Emmett asked after a few minutes. He was dealing with a pair of unruly pantyhose or as Emmett referred to them, manty-hose.

“Sure, but I think you’d be more helpful.”

“Ah, but you’re a man’s man. ‘Nina’ would benefit from your expert opinion.”

“If you say so,” Drew said as he shook his head before he left their room for ‘Nina’s.’

“May I come in?” Drew asked as he knocked on Richie’s door.

“Come in!” Richie called out.

“How’s it going in here?”

“Okay, I think. I’m trying to remember some of the makeup techniques Emmett told me about,” Richie replied as he sat in front of his vanity table.

“Emm’s almost done; I’m sure he can be persuaded to give you a hand.”

“I think I might need it.”

“I think you’re doing a great job on your own,” Drew said sincerely.

“Really?” ‘Nina’ asked nervously.

“Yes, really. I think you look very becoming.” Richie, in his Nina persona, beamed with pride.

“You do?”

“Yes, I do. Just because I can toss a football doesn’t mean I don’t know a good looking drag queen when I see one. Or maybe in this case, a drag princess.” Drew’s last statement made ‘Nina’ laugh.

“May I join the party?” Emmett asked as he swept into the room with all his usual flash. He stopped short at the site of Nina all done up. “Oh oh oh,” Emm stuttered. “You are so beautiful,” he cried.







 

Tears of joy welled up in Nina’s eyes. Drew was quick with two wads of tissues, one for each of his ‘ladies.’

Drew cleared his throat then offered his arms to his ‘ladies.’ “Shall we?” Emm and Nina took the proffered arms then were led out of the room.



*****


“Look at all the people!” JR exclaimed as she looked around the GLC. A light brunch was set up in the big meeting hall for the heads of each committee and their guests. Even though JR had come with her dads, she was invited to participate as both a member of PFLAG and her school's Rainbow Club.

“Is the turnout always this large?” Curtis asked.

“I don’t know,” JR answered just before Debbie rushed into the room, greeting most of the participants with hugs, kisses and gentle pats to the cheek.

“Look at you two,” she said giving them both a kiss. “Don’t you look adorable. Now I want both of you to eat something and pack up a couple of bottles of water to take with you. It might get hot later,” Debbie said as she pointed a sharp no nonsense finger at them.

“Yes, ma’am,” the kids replied.

“Good, now where is Tannis? We should be lining up soon and I just heard that there’s a slight change in the order,” Debbie grumbled as she scanned the room. “Ah, there she is.” And Debbie was off and running, leaving the baffled kids in her wake. JR and Curtis sidled up to the buffet table for brunch.



*****



“Damn, there’s a lot of people here,” Justin commented as the Edna's Treasures family slowly drove up the street toward the Plaza Hotel. Since Gus and Ray were in residence at the loft, Brian decided to take advantage of his retained suites at the hotel. They would use the hotel as base camp while they were in Pittsburgh for the festivities. "I forgot how crowded this place gets during PRIDE."

"Daddy, is everyone here to see the parade?" Briana asked from the safety of her booster seat.

"Not everyone, sweetheart, but a lot of people are."

"Is Gus here?"

"Yes, he is, with Ray. We'll see them soon," Justin assured her.

"YAY!" Bree squealed as John pulled into the Plaza garage.

"The Eagle has landed," John quipped as they parked.

Within the hour, the family was checked into the Plaza and having brunch before they strolled over to the parade staging area.

"Brian, where are we lining up?" Bobby asked as they negotiated the crowded streets. He and John had a death grip on Patrick's hands. Brian held their petite child in his arms as they wound through the crowds.

"Just outside the GLC," he answered. "This way," Brian commanded. Using his intimate knowledge of all the back streets and alleys, Brian safely led his family to the GLC.

"I wasn't sure we were going to make it," Justin admitted. "I've never seen the streets this full of people before." Justin reached up to gently stroke Bree's hair; he found the act strangely comforting. Brian leaned down to give Justin a kiss.

"It always got this crowded. But this is the first time we're here with precious cargo," Brian murmured into Justin's ear, understanding his husband's apprehension. "It'll be all right, Sunshine," Brian reassured Justin. "It'll get more orderly when we're in place." Justin nodded, trusting Brian to know better.

"Look!" John pointed as they turned a corner. "There's Debbie and Michael." Debbie, Michael, Carl and Ben were holding a long banner designating PFLAG. Most of the members of the group were lined up behind them. Other participants that were carrying small PFLAG flags were in front of the banner, including the younger members of the group. JR and Curtis, both carrying their flags were right up in front, just behind the equal marriage rights committee.

"Hey kiddo!" Debbie momentarily let go of the banner to give Brian and his family a kiss.

"Hiya, Maw," Brian drawled. He was wearing one of his know-it-all smirks.

"I know that look," Debbie said. "Did you have something to do with this?" she said as she pointed to Mel who had her arm wrapped around her daughter's waist while she was introducing JR and Curtis to the committee. "This has all the earmarks of the master."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Brian said with his very best innocent look.

"Tannis told me about the change in the line up," Debbie said as she leaned into Brian. "She also told me about the generous contribution that was anonymously made to the Rainbow School. She said something about the donor wanting to give back to his community. You wouldn't know about any of that, would you?"

"Haven't got a clue. I'm just here to stroll along with my family," Brian remarked as he gave his surrogate mother a kiss on the cheek. "I love you, Maw."

"I love you too, kiddo, but I'm onto you. I won't say anything but thank you. I don't know what gets into Melanie sometimes. I just hope this helps." Brian nodded then rejoined his family.

"Joanie! I didn't know you had a sister," Brian teased his mother as Joan and Divina walked toward them.

"Gamma Joan has a sister?" Bree asked as she looked at the strange 'woman.' The nearby family laughed.

"No, baby girl," Justin said and then explained who was under all of the hair and make up.

"And here's the rest of the drag committee," Brian snarked as Emmett and 'Nina' still on Drew's arm walked over. "You look fetching," Brian remarked to Emmett. "And you look lovely," Brian said to Nina as he took her hand and bowed over it. Nina blushed at the overtures. "Now there's a real lady."

"Still showing off your wears, I see," Emmett snarked as his eyes wandered up and down the length of Brian's pants, and so did the eyes of most of the men who walked by. Brian merely shrugged.

Before anymore comments were made, a loud horn blasted signaling the parade's commencement. Those who were marching took their places with their various groups. The spectators neatly lined up on the sidelines. Loud roars and rumbles announced the Dykes on their bikes followed by the Bears, most of them riding Lethal Bikes.

"What kind of bike is that?" Teddy, who was there with Allen, asked Brian as they caught a glimpse of Leda and Jamie on the three wheeler.

"Whatever it is, let's make sure we get the account," Brian replied. Teddy nodded in agreement.

"Pop!" Gus called out as he and Ray jogged over. "Hey, short stuff."

"Gussss," Bree cried out as she held out her arms for her brother. Brian gladly transferred the child to her brother.

"Hang on tight, Squirt, I don't want you to get lost in the crowd."

"Don't worry, Pop, I have her," Gus reassured their father. Brian nodded but he knew that he and Justin would stay close to both their kids.

As the group began its slow stroll down Liberty Avenue, Brian marveled at all the familiar faces he saw in the crowd. He smiled to himself at the obvious attempts to get his attention and the admiring glances. Brian might have thought he looked ridiculous but his attire was obviously anything but. Brian snaked his arm across Justin’s shoulders to draw the younger man in closer.

“You okay now?” Justin asked knowing how unsure his spouse was wearing the snakeskin pants.

“Yeah.”

“Not going to run off into the nearest bar or store to change?”

“No. You’re stuck with me like this for the remainder of the day.”

“Good,” Justin said as he looked up into Brian’s eyes then graced him with his sunniest smile. “I love you, you Big Smoosh.”

“Capital ‘S’?”

“Damn, straight,” Justin said making Brian laugh. Brian kissed Justin’s cheek as they kept on walking.



*****



“Hello? Samantha is that you? Can you speak up any louder? I’m having trouble hearing you,” John practically shouted into his cell phone. He still had a grip on Patrick’s hand as he manipulated his phone in the other. Bobby also held Patrick’s hand firmly, and he was speaking into his own cell phone. John stopped in the middle of the road, making the paraders walk around them.

“What? Oh, okay, thank you for letting me know. And Samantha, for what it’s worth, I’m sorry too,” John said into the phone before he disconnected the call. He slipped the phone back into his pocket.

“Is everything okay, Dad?” Patrick asked seeing his father’s distress.

“It’s fine. Everything is just fine,” John reassured his son.

“Thanks, Dad.” John heard Bobby say before he snapped his phone shut. Bobby stepped closer to John. “Was that Samantha?” Bobby asked.

“Yes.”

“Are you okay with this?” Bobby asked as he pulled John closer.

“Part of me is relieved; the other part is a little disappointed. Did Dan tell you?”

“Yes. He was concerned for you. He said that Samantha was very disappointed that you aren’t Grace’s father.”

“I guess Patrick will stay an only child,” John said somberly.

“You could always adopt Justin. He needs a strong father figure in his life,” Bobby said with a straight face. John stared at Bobby for a moment then burst out laughing. The lovers kissed then quickly walked to catch up to Brian, Justin and the rest of their family.

Brian turned, giving his brother a curious look. John shook his head. Brian arched a brow.

‘I’m all right,’ John mouthed. Brian nodded as he kept walking.



*****



“Are you enjoying yourself?” Emmett looked around Drew to ask Nina as they strolled along. Several people along the parade route waved at the young cross dresser. Nina appeared to be studying their faces.

“Yes, I am.”

“Are you sure? You seem preoccupied.”

“I...”

“Oh honey,” Emm began as he scurried to Nina’s side. “Did you think your folks might be here?” Nina nodded.

“I called them to let them know that I was going to be in the parade and that I’m with people who don’t think I’m a bad person.”

“Sweetie, I’m so sorry. Some people just don’t understand. I know it’s not the same but there’s a whole lot of people here who are proud of what they are and of what you are. Try to focus on that.”

“I’ll try.”

“Good girl. Now, do you remember Miss Shanda Leer and Ms. Devore?” Emmett said as the elegant ‘ladies’ sashayed toward them. Emm and Shanda air kissed as Divina fawned all over the young cross dresser. The crowd cheered as Nina was proudly taken into the fold.



*****



“I’ll take her, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he was about to relieve Gus of Bree.

“I can walk, Dada,” Bree assured her fathers as Gus put her down. Bree immediately reached up her hands to take her daddies’ hands. The proud fathers each took a little hand as they continued marching.

Somewhere along the route, “Dancing Queen” was loudly playing. Young and old stopped to dance to the song. Ray pulled Gus off to the side to dance. They held each other close as they laughed and smiled while they swayed to the music. A rainbow flag attached to a street lamp waved in the breeze above them. When the song ended they kissed.

“I need some water,” Gus said when they finally came up for air. “Do you want a bottle?” Gus asked Ray as he saw a street vendor selling bottled water.

“Sure.”

“Stay here, I’ll be right back,” Gus said as he worked his way through the crowd. Ray leaned against the pole while he waited for Gus to return.

“Hi, Raymond, fancy meeting you here,” a young man said as he stepped up into Ray’s personal space.

“Wayne, what the hell are you doing here?”

“I thought I’d see how the other half lives,” Wayne said as he looked around at the locals. “What do you see in these people? You’re so much better than them.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about you and me. We’re both from New York; we deserve to be together.” Wayne pushed Ray against the post trying to steal a kiss.

“Cut it out, Wayne. I told you I’m not interested and I have a boyfriend!”

“Some local country boy or a science geek? I can make you forget about him,” Wayne said as he leaned into Ray.

“Who the fuck are you?” Gus roared as he threw down the bottles he was carrying, both hands now free, balled up into fists. “And what the fuck are you doing with MY boyfriend!?”

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1303