Committed by Thyme
Summary:

 

Justin and Brian explore the joys and problems of a committed relationship.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: My Only Sunshine Series
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 161700 Read: 155562 Published: Jul 06, 2018 Updated: Jul 06, 2018

1. Chapter 1 - Family Matters by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 - Business Trip by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 - Gone Fishing by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 - Funeral by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 - Death and Life by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 - Promises by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 - Bedtime Story by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 - Date Night by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 - Needing Space by Thyme

11. Chapter 11 - Monkey Crap by Thyme

12. Chapter 12 - Work Me Over by Thyme

13. Chapter 13 - A Chance Encounter by Thyme

14. Chapter 14 - Irish Eyes by Thyme

15. Chapter 15 - All Present And Accounted For by Thyme

16. Chapter 16 - The Meaning of Commitment by Thyme

17. Chapter 17 - Birthday Surprise by Thyme

18. Chapter 18 - Ring of Truth by Thyme

19. Chapter 19 - Perfection by Thyme

20. Chapter 20 - Insensitive by Thyme

21. Chapter 21 - Anxious by Thyme

22. Chapter 22 - Open by Thyme

23. Chapter 23 - Why by Thyme

24. Chapter 24 - Camel by Thyme

25. Chapter 25 - A Closer View of The World by Thyme

26. Chapter 26 - Ask Justin by Thyme

27. Chapter 27 - Go Away by Thyme

28. Chapter 28 - Desert Vacation by Thyme

29. Chapter 29 - Desert Communication by Thyme

30. Chapter 30 - Desert Adventures by Thyme

31. Chapter 31 - Goodbye Phoenix by Thyme

32. Chapter 32 - Butterfly by Thyme

33. Chapter 33 - Conclusions by Thyme

Chapter 1 - Family Matters by Thyme



Family Matters  



Brian arrived home from work around seven.  There was no sign of Justin, so he went up to the bedroom to change.  He was sure the boy would be home soon. As he undressed, Brian reflected on their week back together.  Justin had completed his art course in New York and had returned to the loft to resume their life together.  Brian was thankful that they had survived the five months of separation seemingly intact. He had had his doubts before Justin left, but he knew deep in his gut that it was the right thing for the boy.  He knew he had to let Justin have that chance to grow and change.



"Brian!  Brian!" Justin shouted, charging through the door to the loft.



"Up here," Brian called from the bedroom.  He had just started to button the jeans he had changed into.



Justin came scrambling up the steps and threw himself into Brian's arms.



"Whoa!" Brian laughed.  "Who wound you up?"



Justin kissed him and kissed him some more, a shit-eating grin plastered all over his face.  "Guess where I've been?"



"A crack house?"  Justin looked bewildered.  "You're high as a kite," Brian explained.

"Oh!  No, I went to see Jane Granville today and I got a job!" Justin gushed.



"You did?  What kind of a job?"



"The kind that has regular hours and benefits and decent pay!"



"That's the best kind to have.  What will you be doing?"

"She never really replaced Noel at her art gallery after all that trouble."  Brian grimaced. "She's been running the gallery herself, but she wants more time off for the summer, so I'm going to be working there and running it on a day to day basis."



"Running it?" Brian asked.



"Well, not really running it.  Jane will still make all the decisions about the art and the prices and everything.  But I get to be there every day, help mount the displays and sell pieces of art to people who come in.  It's going to be great."



Brian smiled at Justin's enthusiasm.  It sounded like a glorified job as a clerk at the gallery, but he would never tell Justin that.  "So when do you start?"



"Tomorrow.  Isn't that great?" Justin continued to gush.



"Great!" Brian agreed.  "What about your job at the diner?"

"Oh, I'll still keep it.  I'll take more early morning or evening shifts for the summer so that I can be at the gallery during the day.  I should be able to make lots of money between the two jobs."



"Sure," Brian agreed, seeing the possible problems with Justin's new schedule.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked, noting Brian's mood.



"When do you get time for yourself, and for me?"

"I'll always have time for you!" Justin declared.



Brian smiled at him.  "That's easy to say, Justin, but it may be more difficult than you think."



"I'm sure I can work everything out between Jane and the diner.  It'll be fine."



"If you say so," Brian agreed, knowing that it probably wouldn't be fine somewhere down the line.



"Want to fuck the newest employee of the Jane Granville Gallery?"



"Sure, when will he be here?"

"Briiiaaan!" Justin whined.



"Come here, you!" Brian said.  "I'm always ready to fuck you."  Brian's mouth clamped on to Justin's, rubbing his lips over the boy's delectable pout.  His tongue pressed into the warm cavern of Justin's mouth, tasting and exploring, sucking in the essence of his young lover.



Brian never got enough of Justin, of his body, of his mouth, of his being.  Since they had returned from New York things had been wonderful. Justin no longer felt he had to walk on eggshells, worrying about upsetting his lover.  He truly had grown up while he was away. He still had his youthful exuberance as he had just demonstrated. Brian hoped he never lost that. But he was perfectly capable of expressing his needs and telling Brian what he did and didn't want to do.  Brian respected his new sense of himself. He had worried he might resent that Justin would no longer bend to all of his whims. Instead he found that he could let Justin take the lead and make decisions for the two of them. It was often a relief for Brian who spent all day making decisions at work.  He could let Justin plan things for them, always knowing that the boy had their best interests at heart. Brian began to realize that this was what it meant to be part of a couple, to trust your heart and life to another person.



Brian moaned.  Justin had wrapped his legs around Brian's waist and he was bucking his groin against Brian's throbbing hard-on.  He reached behind Justin and pulled the boy's shirt up and over his head. Justin did not release his grip with his legs.  He raked his fingernails down Brian's back. Brian edged them towards the bed, still kissing Justin deeply and demandingly.  Justin gasped as their kiss finally ended. He nuzzled Brian's throat, and then suddenly bit him on the neck.



"Ow!" Brian said, looking into Justin's eyes.



"Did that hurt?" Justin gazed back into the hazel eyes.  "I'm going to mark you as mine," he declared, and took another nip at Brian's throat, sucking on the spot.  Brian knew he would have a healthy hickey there tomorrow.



"You little animal!" Brian said, and threw him onto the bed.  He grabbed Justin's pants and stripped them off, pulling his shoes and socks and underwear with them.  Justin lay naked in front of him. Brian had only his jeans on and he quickly slid those down. "Let's see who marks who!" Brian declared.  He pounced on his young lover. They rolled around on the bed fighting for supremacy. Finally Brian spread his weight on top of Justin and pinned his hands above his head.



"Think you've got me, don't you?" Justin said.



"Uh huh!" Brian said, grinning.



Justin wrapped his legs around Brian and squeezed.  He felt the air expel from Brian's chest. In that moment of weakness, Justin began sliding his body up and down beneath Brian, making sure his rock hard cock rubbed against Brian's with each movement.  "Shit!" Brian gasped, feeling an instant need to have more. "I want you!" Brian whispered. "Now!"



Justin reached for a condom and presented it to Brian, who had it on immediately.  Magically Justin held out the lube. Brian grinned. "Little shit!" he said. Justin kissed him in response, and then Brian was inside him, in that warm safe place where he always wanted to be.  They rocked together, each knowing the rhythm and movements and responses that drove the other wild. When they were finished, they lay in each other's arms, happy and fulfilled.



"It just gets better," Brian observed.



"It does, doesn't it?" Justin said, rubbing his finger over Brian's nipple.



Brian swatted his hand.  "Don't do that unless you're prepared for another go!"


"I'm ready!" Justin declared.  They both were.



Round two completed, they lay together, happy, fulfilled and tired.



"I was hungry," Brian said sleepily.  "But now I think I need a nap."



"Me too," Justin said and they snuggled against each other, drifting off quickly after their vigorous workout.



When they woke an hour later, they were both starving.  They ordered takeout and sat eating it on the couch.



"Lindsay wants us to take Gus for the weekend," Brian said.



"Ohhhh!" Justin responded, drawing out the word into several syllables.



"What's wrong?"



"I…I told Jane I would work Saturday and Sunday," Justin explained.  "I wanted to show her that I could be available whenever she needed me."

"I see."

"You're not mad, are you?"



"I'm perfectly capable of having my son for the weekend with or without you around.  We'll be fine," Brian said, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice.



"I'm sorry.  I…I could ask her to make other arrangements," Justin suggested.



"What for?  I said we'd be fine."

"But I like being with Gus too."



"I know you do," Brian said, softening a little.  He knew Justin felt badly, because Gus loved to play with him.  "Maybe I'll take Gus shopping for some artwork on Saturday. Know a good gallery where we might spend the afternoon?"



"I love you," Justin said, smiling at his partner.



"And you should!"



Justin looked at Brian and felt his heart swell with love and pride.  How could he ever have doubted that Brian loved him? Brian was still brusque and didn't tolerate fools well, but he would bend over backward to make things good for Justin.  Hell, he even bent over frontward sometimes too. Justin grinned at the thought.



"What the fuck kinds of thoughts are running through that brain of yours to produce a grin like that?" Brian asked, noting the smile plastered on Justin's mug.



"Want me to show you?" Justin challenged.



"Yes, although I may regret saying that," Brian said warily.



"Are you done eating?"  Brian nodded. "Good, because you're going to need lots of stamina."



"I am?"



"Oh, yes."



Justin was quickly clearing the dishes and Brian grabbed their wine glasses.  Here was another area Justin had taken charge of recently. Brian was pretty sure he was going to get his ass fucked but good.  He could hardly wait.



When they had cleaned up and stuck all the dishes in the dishwasher, Justin took Brian's hand and led him up to the bedroom.



"Do you have any idea what I'm going to do to you?" Justin asked.



"I think so," Brian replied, giving him a quick kiss.



"Not good enough!" Justin declared.  "I want a really good Brian Kinney kiss before I do anything else."



"Like this?" Brian asked.  He proceeded to devour Justin's mouth, gently rubbing along his lips, then sucking voraciously, then nibbling tenderly, then shoving his tongue down Justin's throat.  Justin wasn't sure how long the kiss lasted, but his head was spinning when Brian finally allowed him to come up for air.



"Just like that!" Justin gasped.  He started removing the few clothes they had put on before eating dinner.  When they were both naked, Justin stared into Brian's eyes. "I love you so much," he said.  "I thought I loved you before, but every day I find I love you more."

"I'm just so fucking irresistible!" Brian grinned at him.



"I'm serious, you know."

"I know," Brian said softly.



"So," Justin observed, looking at Brian's already stiff cock, "are you ready?"



"Always!"



"Lie on your stomach," Justin said, pushing him onto the bed.



Brian obliged.  He closed his eyes in anticipation of feeling every delicious thing Justin was going to do to him.  He felt Justin straddle his legs and rest his weight on the backs of his thighs. The boy leaned forward and ran his hands across and up and down Brian's back.  He kneaded the muscles in Brian's shoulders, and then leaned forward to begin a line of kisses from Brian's neck to the top of his ass. Brian felt him slide down his legs.  He pressed Brian's legs apart and stationed himself between them. He kissed and nipped the insides of Brian's thighs. The man groaned. His tongue ran up and down the crack of Brian's ass, passing teasingly over his pucker and then licking down to his balls.  The man groaned louder.



"Be patient," Justin whispered.  "It will be worth it."

He continued using his tongue around and over the various parts of Brian's ass.  He kissed and sucked and chewed at his hole, his balls, his cheeks. Brian loved the sensations Justin was causing, but soon he needed more.  At the moment he decided this he felt Justin's tongue force its way into his hole. "Aaah! Aaah! Aaaaahhh!" he keened, as Justin pumped his tongue in and out.  He almost came, from the unexpected and much desired assault. Justin worked his tongue in and out until Brian didn't think he could stand it anymore. At that moment he heard Justin tear open a condom package.  He knew that sound so well, and he chuckled out loud.



"What?" Justin asked.



"You know me too well," Brian whispered.



And Justin was inside him in one swift motion.  "Justin!" Brian almost screamed at the exquisite pain and pleasure.



"Yes?" Justin asked sweetly, waiting for his lover to relax and allow him full entry.



"Fuck!" he heard Brian groan.



"That's what I'm going to do!"  And that's exactly what he did. He worked Brian's ass, finding and hitting Brian's prostate at will.  Soon he had the man whimpering and begging for completion. He reached under Brian's body and grabbed his cock.  A few well timed tugs and they were both coming. Stars flashed behind Justin's closed eyelids and then blistering light swallowed him.  He lay spent on Brian's back.



After awhile Justin heard Brian groan and he pushed himself up, finally pulling out of his lover.  He flopped onto his back, breaths still shallow and rapid. He felt Brian roll over onto his back too.



Brian stared at Justin.  "Have you been practising?  Should I be jealous?"

"I never practise with anyone but you.  But you do know practice makes perfect."


"That was pretty damn close to perfect!" Brian stated.
 

"It was, wasn't it?  Did you get swallowed by the light at the end?" Justin asked casually, molding his body up against Brian's.



Brian stared at him.  "I … did, I think," Brian said with wonder in his voice.



"Don't think it, just feel it.  I felt like that light melted us together.  There was no me, no you, just us, just one."



Brian kissed the top of Justin's head, holding this amazing and complex young man against his heart.  "How did I get lucky enough to find you?"



"You know a good thing when you see it standing on Liberty Avenue."



"I guess I do."



"Are you okay with me working on the weekend?"

"I told you Gus and I would be fine.  But, that's what I meant about making life complicated trying to work all those jobs."



"I see what you mean.  I guess there still are a few things that you know more about than I do."



"You think?" Brian asked, his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.



Justin swatted him gently on the chest.  "I want to contribute to our finances. I want to at least pay part of my own way."


"I know you do, and I don't blame you.  But don't let the quest for money take over all your time.  There are more important things."



Justin gave him a look.  "Now who's been hanging around Ben?"



"What?"



"Did you hear yourself?" Justin asked.



"I'm not too old to admit that I can learn a few things.  Our time with each other has value too."



"That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard you say!"  Justin kissed him.



"Don't spread around that sweet business," Brian warned him.  "I have a reputation to uphold."



"Your secrets are safe with me."



"I know," Brian whispered.  "And so am I. For the first time in my life," he thought.



                                                                 -----



Saturday morning Brian picked up Gus from his mommies. The little boy jumped up and down when he saw his father at the door.



"Dada!  Dada!" he greeted Brian.



Brian picked him up and gave him a kiss.  "Hello, Sonny Boy, ready to spend the weekend with your old man?"



Gus nodded and looked around.  "Where's Justin?" he asked.



Brian told him he would see Justin later in the afternoon.  He gathered up all of Gus' equipment which thankfully seemed to be getting less as Gus got older.  They set off for the diner for lunch.



Brian held Gus' hand as they entered the eatery.  It wasn't too crowded, being early for lunch and late for breakfast which is what Gus and Brian would be having, in that order.



"There's Gorgeous Gus!" Debbie crowed as soon as she spotted them.



Gus grinned.  He loved the way this lady made a fuss over him and called him that funny name.  "Debbie!" he chirped, reaching up for her to give him a hug and a kiss.



"You are such a charmer!" she said.  "Just like your old man."



"Why thank you, Deb.  I didn't realize you had noticed," Brian smirked.



She gave him a swat across the chest.  "Asshole!" she stated.



"Asshole!" Gus giggled.



"Deb!" Brian groaned.



"Oops, sorry!" she said.  

"I'm blaming you if he says that in front of his mothers," Brian threatened.



"They'll think it was you anyway," Debbie chuckled, knowing Brian would be the one to catch shit over Gus' bad language.



Brian saw the boys in the back booth and walked over with Gus.



"Look who's here!" Emmett grinned.  "Sweetie pie and his daddy. Come up here, Sugar Dumplin', and sit next to me."



Gus climbed up next to Emmett and Brian sat down beside him.  Ted and Michael were seated across from them.



"Where's Justin?" Ted asked.  "We don't often see you on the weekend without him."



"Working," Brian stated.



"I didn't see him here today," Michael said, looking around.



"He has another job," Brian said.



"Where?" Michael wanted to know.



"At the art gallery where he was part of that 'Young Artists' show."



"Oh, so he's starting to support you in your old age," Ted observed.



"Fuck you!" Brian responded.



"Fu…" Gus began.



"Don't you dare, Gus!" Brian cut him off.  "That's grown-up language and you can't say it until you're grown up."



"I'm grown up!" Gus replied.



"Not yet, Sonny Boy."



"Pancakes?" Gus said.



Ted snorted.



"What's the matter with you?" Brian asked.



"That kid is so your son.  He changed the subject from something he didn't want to deal with, just like you do."



Brian made a face at him, but he knew Ted was right.  Was that another thing he needed to change? He seemed to have done a lot of changing lately, but he hoped most of it was for the better.



They finished having lunch and breakfast with the boys.  Gus had jabbered away. The boys were off to the gym for an hour and invited Brian and Gus to come with them.



"I don't think that's a good place for Gus," Brian said, debating the prospects of going.



"Why?" asked Ted.  "Afraid he'll cramp your style in the steam room?"



Brian was about to say "Fuck you!" again, but thought better of it.  "There are too many things Gus could get hurt with. I'd have to watch him every second."



"You are a good dad!" Michael told him.



"I try to be, despite some people's opinions."  He stuck out his tongue at Ted. When he looked down at Gus, the little boy quickly retracted the tongue he had just stuck out at no one in particular.  "Shit!" Brian thought. "I am going to have to be so careful. The little monkey apes everything I do."

The boys headed off for the gym.  Brian and Gus went to the loft to unload Gus' stuff and get him settled in for the weekend.  Brian had to admit that it was much easier when there were two of them, one to hold on to Gus and the other to carry everything.  Eventually they were organized to Brian's satisfaction.



"So, Sonny Boy, what would you like to do today?" Brian asked.



"Fishing," Gus replied.



Brian groaned.  Gus had wanted to go fishing ever since he had heard the Thomas the Train story about how Thomas went fishing.  Brian couldn't understand how the fuck a train went fishing, but Gus was fixated on doing the same thing. "How be we go to the park and see the ducks," Brian suggested.  This was something Gus had liked before.



"Fishing," Gus said.



"Let's go to the park today, and we'll visit Justin at his job later.  We can talk to him about going fishing soon. Okay?"



"Fishing," Gus said.  Brian looked at him, thinking that his son was just about as stubborn as him, and infinitely more adorable.



"Come on Gus," Brian said taking his hand.  He hoped once they got to the ducks in the park, Gus would forget about fishing.



Gus and Brian arrived at the Granville Gallery around four.  They had had fun at the park, walking and sitting and throwing popcorn to the ducks.  Brian knew Justin was finished work at six, and hoped they could all go to dinner together.



"Hey, partner," Justin greeted Gus, picking him up.  Gus gave him a kiss. "I'm so glad you came to see me."  Gus wrapped his arms around Justin's neck and grinned at him.  "Let's go on a tour," Justin said, and then proceeded to take Gus around the gallery pointing out some of his favorite pieces. When they had finished their grand tour, Justin stopped at the office and showed Gus where he had covered the coffee table with paper and laid out paper, crayons and markers.  Justin seemed to have already instilled a love of drawing into Gus. The little boy bounced up and down and then got right to work on his first picture.



"You're going to make an artist out of him," Brian observed.



"Is that a bad thing?" Justin asked defensively.



"Not at all.  If he turns out anything like you, that will be just great!"



Justin smiled his Sunshine smile.  Sometimes Brian was so kind and so supportive.  He wondered if Brian realized when he was doing it.  "Probably not," Justin thought. So many things with Brian were instinctual, while so many others were calculated.  He was one complicated hunk of manhood and Justin loved every inch and every aspect of this complex man.



Brian basked in the glow of Justin's smile.  Sometimes he said things that produced that look on Justin's face, and he was always happy when it happened, sudden and unexpected.  It was like a reward for something he had done or said, and most of the time he never knew what it was that would set it off. He just loved it when it happened.



Justin reached up and gave Brian a big sloppy kiss.



"Um hmm," someone cleared his throat behind them.



Justin jumped back, remembering he was at work.  A middle aged man dressed in denim stood looking at them.  "I hope I'm interrupting something," he said, trying to be humorous."



"Not at all," Justin countered.  "May I help you?"



"There's a painting over here that I'm interested in.  I'd like some more information about the artist," the man said.



"Certainly," Justin replied in his most professional voice.  He went with the man to the other side of the gallery.



Brian watched them move away.  The man glanced back over his shoulder and smiled at Brian.  "Gay," Brian thought, "and he's even trying to cruise me." He shook his head and went into the office to see how Gus was doing.  The little boy was hard at work at the coffee table. He had drawn two pictures which he held out to Brian with a smile. They were both more or less the same and Brian groaned when he saw them.



"What's wrong, Dada?  Don't you like them?" Gus asked with a worried look on his face.



"They're … nice, Sonny Boy.  You keep drawing. I need to talk to Justin."



Brian got up and went into the gallery to find his partner.  He had to wait a few minutes, as Justin was still talking to his customer.  Brian kept pacing behind them, and Justin knew something was wrong, but he couldn't be rude to a potential customer.  Finally the man shook Justin's hand and walked towards the door, giving Brian a big smile.



"Looks like you've made another conquest," Justin told him.



Brian made a face.  "I'm worried about Gus," Brian said, pacing back and forth.



Justin looked toward the office and could see Gus happily drawing.  "Why? He looks fine. Did he eat a crayon? They're non-toxic, you know."



"It's not about a fucking crayon!  I … I think I've corrupted him."



"What the fuck are you talking about?" Justin asked in disbelief.



"He showed me what he drew," Brian said.  "It looks like three men with enormous erect penises.  He couldn't know about threesomes, could he? He was never at the loft when we … you know.  Was he?"



"No, of course not!  There must be some other explanation," Justin said reasonably.



"I don't know.  It's pretty clear, even from his scribbly artwork.  Come and see."



They went back into the office.  Gus was finishing up another version of the same picture.  Justin stared at it as the little boy held it up for him, a big smile on his face.  It certainly looked like three people, men, of varying sizes standing side by side, a huge

penis pointing out from each one.  "Is that Goldilocks and the three bears?" Justin asked, trying to come up with a more plausible explanation for Gus' drawing.



"No," Gus said.



Brian was still pacing, a scared look on his face.  Justin remembered that in art class you always asked the artist about the art.  Often things weren't what they seemed.



"Gus," he said, "tell me about your drawing."

"You, me, Dada!" Gus said, pointing to each figure, as if that explained everything.



Brian groaned.



"What are we doing?" Justin asked Gus.



Brian groaned again, obviously not wanting to hear the answer.



"Fishing!" Gus said.



"Fishing?" Brian gasped.  "Shit!"



"Shit!" Gus giggled.



"Gus!" Brian cautioned.



Gus smiled angelically and picked up his crayon to draw another picture.



Brian hustled Justin out the door.  "How did you know it was fishing?"



"I didn't.  I remembered that in my art classes you never assume you know what the artist has drawn, because nine times out of ten, it isn't what you think."



"You are so smart!" Brian said, kissing him warmly.



"I know.  You are lucky to have me around to save your bacon all the time.  What would you ever do without me?"

"I don't know, and I don't want to find out."



"Why is Gus drawing us fishing?" Justin asked.



"Thomas the Train went fishing and Gus wants to go too.  I promised him we'd talk to you about it today. I don't know shit about fishing.  I hoped maybe you did."



"I've been a few times."



"Do you think we could take Gus fishing some time soon, before he draws one of those pictures for his mothers?  They'll have a fit, and I bet they won't bother to ask him what it is. They'll just come after me with a meat cleaver."



Justin chuckled.  "My uncle has a cabin where I've gone fishing a few times.  Maybe we could take Gus there for a weekend."



"That would be great, but soon.  Will you be able to get some time off work?"



"I'm not supposed to work every weekend.  I just said I'd work this one to show Jane that I was willing to be available.  Let me talk to her and to my uncle."



"Sounds good," Brian said.  Justin could hear the relief in his voice.  "Make sure you gather up those pictures and don't let him take them home with him."

"Why not?"



"I don't want anybody else to see them."



"Oh, too bad!"



"Why?" Brian asked.



"I thought maybe, after Gus went to sleep tonight, we could do something with erect penises ourselves.  We could use Gus' pictures for inspiration."



"We don't need inspiration," Brian stated, scooping Justin close to him and kissing him eagerly.



"Hmm, we could keep them for your old age when you might need pornography to get it up."  Justin grinned at him.



"You little shit!" Brian said, squeezing him.



"Shit!" said Gus coming out of the office with his next drawing.



Brian groaned.  "I am so dead when I take him back to his mothers!"



Justin squeezed him back and whispered that he would love him even if Melanie cut off his balls.



Gus looked at them, a smile on his face.  He held up his latest drawing of three men with enormous penises, and said, "Fishing!"

Chapter 2 - Business Trip by Thyme

 

Business Trip  



Brian put down the phone.  He was going to have to go to Indianapolis on Wednesday.  How was he going to explain this to Justin?



He and Justin had been so happy lately.  It really felt like they were together in every sense of the word, in a committed relationship.  Brian never thought he would admit that, even to himself. They laughed, they worked, they talked, they ate, they loved, and they fucked.  Life was great. Now reality was poking its ugly head back into their blissful existence.



"I should know better than to think I can be happy for any more than a day or two at a time," Brian mumbled to himself.  "Cynthia, come in here," Brian said into the intercom.



"Yes, boss," she said, appearing at his door almost immediately.



"I need you to make airline reservations for me to go to Indianapolis on Wednesday," Brian stated.



"Will do.  Early morning flight?" she asked.



"Sounds good.  I'll be coming back Friday."



"What time?"



"Get me back as early as you can."



"Do you know what hotel you want to stay at?" she asked.



Brian groaned internally.  "I won't need a hotel," he said, trying to sound nonchalant.



"Oh?" she said, instantly curious.



Brian didn't really want to explain, but he knew she wouldn't let it rest.  "I'll be staying with Mr. Bedford," Brian stated.



"Father or son?" Cynthia asked with concern in her eyes.  She liked Mr. Bedford, the father. He was a lovely man. And young Mr. Bedford, Trip, was too delicious, but she knew he was gay, like so many other delicious young men she had met.



"Father!" Brian replied emphatically.



Cynthia knew there had been sparks between Trip and Brian.  She had felt them from across the room, when the two had first met.  She knew Brian was happy with Justin, happier than she could ever remember him being, and she didn't want anything to ruin this newfound contentment.  She had to ask. "Do you think it's wise to be going to Indianapolis right now?"



"I don't have any choice," Brian scowled.  "Mr. Bedford has come up with a design for a new lounge chair that he thinks will revolutionize the chair industry.  He wants to use it in the next phase of their ad campaign. He wants me to see it, and he doesn't want to fly yet, so soon after his heart attack.  I have to go."



"I understand," she said, feeling sorry for the position this put Brian in.



"So, just get the fucking reservations, and stop worrying about me."

She smiled at him.  He knew her almost as well as she knew him.  They were a great team and always watched each other's backs.  She was sure he would do the right thing, she hoped, maybe.



"I'll do the right thing," he muttered as she left his office.  She smiled to herself.



                                                             -----



Justin had dinner on the table when Brian arrived at the loft.  It smelled wonderful. After a quick kiss, Brian changed his clothes, wondering how he was going to tell Justin about his impending trip.



Once they sat down and started eating, Brian opened his mouth to get it over with, when Justin beat him to it.  "I have something to tell you," he said.



"I have something to tell you too," Brian replied, "but go ahead.  You first."

"I spoke to my uncle about getting his cabin to take Gus fishing.  We can have it this weekend. They're all going to be in the city for some family do with his wife's relatives.  After that they are using the place for most of the summer. We wouldn't be able to get it for at least another month, unless you want to sleep in a tent and be there with the whole family."



"Pullleeease!" Brian dragged out the word.



"I didn't think so, so I told him we'd take it this weekend.  I thought we could leave Thursday night if you could get Friday off.  That would give us more time up there, because it's a good four hour drive to the cabin."



Brian groaned.  "Justin…"



"Don't tell me!  This weekend is no good for you.  Why? What's going on? Can't you cancel?"  Justin bombarded him with questions.



"If you'll let me get a word in edgewise …" Brian began.



"Sorry," Justin said.  "Go ahead." He looked skeptically at Brian.



"I have to go on a business trip Wednesday.  I won't be back until some time on Friday, but I'll try to get back in good time and we could leave as soon as I returned," Brian said hopefully.



"Oh," Justin replied, mulling this over.  "Well, that won't give us as long up there, but it will still work.  Less time for you to get cranky about roughing it in the woods."

"Just how rough are we talking?" Brian asked, suddenly realizing that he was taking himself off into the wilds of some godforsaken place.



"It's … rustic," Justin said carefully.



"What the fuck does that mean?"



"They don't have all the amenities that we have here," Justin explained, gesturing around the loft.



"I didn't think we were going to a four star hotel!" Brian stated.  "Just what amenities does this fucking place have?" When Justin didn't answer immediately, Brian asked, "A toilet?"



"Yes … um … yes."



"What was that hesitation for?"



"They have a toilet," Justin replied firmly.



"An outhouse?" Brian asked with a look of terror on his face.



"No, not an outhouse.  It's in the house. But … you have to empty it every day."



"Empty it?  How the fuck do you do that?"


"Well, I haven't been there for several years, but if I remember correctly it's an environmental potty that is moveable and you dump it out in the woods."



"Jesus Christ!" Brian sputtered.  "Tell them to forget it!"



"Brian!" Justin responded.  "I'll empty it and do any of the other shit jobs too," he sighed.



"Shit is right!  Couldn't we just drive up there, fish for an hour and drive back?"



"I … guess so.  But I thought you might like to spend a little time out in nature with Gus and me.  I thought it might be fun, but if you can't live without your luxuries …," Justin let his words hang in the air.



Brian groaned.  "You are getting too fucking good at this housewife guilt shit," Brian admonished.



"Does that mean we can go for the weekend?"



"All right, but you have the shit jobs!  I don't want to hear about potties or bodily excrement or God knows what else.  Understood?"



"Deal!" Justin said.  "I'll let my uncle know we're going."



Brian knew he was going to regret heading out into the backwoods, even with Justin.  He didn't do rustic, and he knew he was going to hate every fucking minute of it. He pushed his worries aside to deal with the more immediate worry of telling Justin where he was going on his business trip.



"Where are you going on your business trip?" Justin asked, as if he was responding to Brian's unspoken thoughts.



"Indianapolis," Brian said, and waited for the reaction.



"Oh?" Justin said, his head brimming with questions that he was afraid to ask.  The old Justin would have suppressed them all, but the grown-up Justin asked, "Trip?"



"Business trip!" Brian replied obtusely.



"Trip Bedford!" Justin stated, staring intently at his partner.



"He'll be there."



"Is he the reason you're going?"



"No, his father has a new design for a chair that he wants used in the next ad campaign.  I'm going to see the chair."



Justin snorted.  "That's a good one!  You're going to see a chair, not a very hot, highly intelligent, really nice, gay man that you are attracted to and who's attracted to you?"


"That's right," Brian said.



Justin had never met Trip Bedford, but Ted and Emmett had.  They had told Justin about the totally hot man that Brian had danced with at Babylon.  Justin knew that Brian was very attracted to Trip. After they returned from New York, they were supposed to have talked about Trip and what he meant in their lives, but they had been so happy that Justin had almost forgotten about it.  Now he knew they would have to deal with it.



"Brian, remember that talk we were supposed to have," Justin began.  He heard the man groan. "We have to," he said simply.



"I know," Brian replied, "but that doesn't mean that I have to like it."



"How do you feel about going to Indianapolis?"



"Justin, nothing has happened between Trip and me.  We're just friends, and nothing is going to happen."



"I believe you," Justin said.



Brian knew that Justin did believe him.  It was just that sometimes things weren't in Brian's control, especially things that affected his dick the way Trip Bedford did.  "I won't let anything happen," Brian promised.



"I know you'll try."



"You don't think I can be strong, do you?"



Justin stared at him.  Brian was a very strong man who inspired strong feelings, and as much as he liked to think he was always in control, quite often other people put their strong feelings for Brian to work and went after him.  Sex was such a necessity to Brian that he found it hard to fend them off when they offered what he needed, and provided such a necessary service for him. Being far away from home, would only compound the problem.



"Remember Noel," Justin said.



Brian grimaced.  "You don't have to remind me, but Trip is nothing like Noel."



"But you have the same attraction to him, and he isn't a fucking sleaze ball like Noel.  In fact, from what I hear, he's really nice, which makes him all the more appealing."

"Justin, you're the one I want."



"Remember that when your cock starts twitching at the sight of Trip," Justin said ruefully.



"Why don't you fuck Trip right out of my head?  That will keep me on the straight and narrow while I'm gone."



"I can do that," Justin said with as much confidence as he could muster.  "Want to start now?"



"I'm ready."  Brian grabbed his hand and pulled him in for a kiss.  "Make me forget about anyone but you," he challenged.



They went up to the bedroom, leaving the mess to clean up in the morning.  Justin had other more pressing spousal duties to perform tonight.



                                                             -----



The next morning neither one of them could walk with ease.  Both their asses had received a thorough workout, to say nothing of their cocks.  As they stumbled into the shower, Brian grabbed Justin and pressed him against the glass.  "I'm going to fuck you again," Brian whispered in that husky voice that sent little jolts of pleasure up Justin's spine.



"Oh yeah?  Are you sure you can handle it?" Justin challenged.



Brian's hard cock was already finding its way to Justin's hole.  The boy felt it press against him and smiled over his shoulder at Brian.  He reached back for a kiss which Brian returned with love and lust. Brian soaped Justin's back, running his hands all over the boy's body and ending with a finger in his ass.  Justin gasped, but pressed back for more. He heard Brian rip open a condom and smiled to himself. Nobody turned Brian on like he did. He was going to make sure everyone, including Trip Bedford, paled in comparison.  He felt Brian position himself at his already well fucked pucker. He reached behind him and took hold of Brian's dick, giving it a tug. Brian moaned. Justin leaned back into his man, and when Brian thrust forward into him, he thrust back just as hard, taking all of Brian's cock in one motion.  They both sucked in a breath at the sudden movement, and unexpected pleasure.



"I love you!" Justin declared.



"Show me!"



Brian began to thrust and Justin met each with a backward movement of his own.  They pounded against each other, gasping for breath and trying not to suck in the cascade of water that engulfed them.  Grunts and groans gave way to moans. Brian reached for Justin's cock. He pulled the boy against him, stopping his thrusts.



"I love you, Justin Taylor!  Never, ever, forget that!" Brian declared.



He rammed into Justin again and stroked his cock with each thrust.  Momentarily they were both coming. Justin staggered against Brian who grabbed at the wall for support.  Neither was very steady on their feet. Brian kept Justin impaled on his cock and supported both of them as he leaned against the wall of the shower.  Once they had begun to recover from their orgasms, Brian pulled out of his lover and turned him around. He got rid of his condom and let the water pour over them for a couple of minutes before he turned off the shower.



He took Justin's hand and led him out into the bathroom.  He picked up one of the towels and tenderly dried off his lover.  Justin returned the favor.



"Do you think it will be safe for me to go to Indianapolis now?" Brian asked, tongue in cheek.



"Maybe," Justin replied, "but there's still tonight.  We can make certain you don't forget what's waiting for you here."



"You are such a taskmaster!" Brian chuckled.



"It's a hard job, but somebody has to do it."



"Only you, baby, only you."



Brian found himself in Justin's arms, the boy kissing him ferociously.  He did love Justin more and more every day. Trip Bedford was an interesting and very attractive man, but he wasn't Justin.  Brian was sure he would remember that in Indianapolis.



                                                            -----



Brian's meeting with Mr. Bedford went very well.  He was quite impressed with the new chair and was tempted to order one for the loft.  However, he wasn't sure that Justin would be pleased with a reminder of Trip so close at hand.



When they were finished with business for the day, Mr. Bedford ordered his car to take them back to his home where Brian would be staying during his time in Indianapolis.  It was an expansive and luxurious mansion on the outskirts of the city.



"You have a beautiful home, Mr. Bedford," Brian told him.



"Why don't you call me Jerome?" his host replied.



"Of course.  It was nice of you to invite me to stay here with you.  I could have taken a hotel for two nights."



"Nonsense.  We have lots of room.  You'll be much more comfortable here.  I'll show you to your room. Dinner will be at eight in the dining room."



"Thanks," Brian said and they went upstairs to get him settled in.



Just before eight Brian made his way downstairs having showered and changed into slacks and a sweater.  He found Jerome in the study off the main entrance hall.



"Dinner should be any time now.  We're waiting for Trip," Jerome told him.



Brian hoped his face didn't show his apprehension at hearing that the son was joining them for dinner.  He had begun to hope that he might get through the trip without having to face Trip.



Suddenly the doorway was filled with a smiling face.  "Brian!" Trip said, stepping forward to shake Brian's hand, genuinely glad to see him.



Brian felt that little jolt of electricity.  "Trip," he replied, not knowing what else to say.  The man was as gorgeous and intriguing as he remembered him.



They went in to dinner at the urging of Jerome who said he was quite hungry.  During dinner there was lots of talk about business and Brian learned that it was Trip who had dreamed up the concept for the new chair.  Was there anything that this man couldn't do?



When they finished dinner all three men went back to the study and had a brandy.  Small talk filled up the time. Brian felt Trip's eyes on him more than once, but he did his best not to stare back.  Finally Jerome excused himself, saying he was tired and seemed to need a lot more sleep since his heart attack. After Jerome left, Brian thought maybe he should get out of there too.



"I think I'll turn in," Brian said.



"Have another drink with me first," Trip asked.



Brian wanted to escape, but he didn't want to be rude, and he really did enjoy Trip's company.  "I'm not much for brandy," Brian said, trying to excuse himself gracefully.



"How about some Jim Beam?  That's your drink, isn't it?"



"All right," Brian agreed.



Trip went to the liquor cabinet, but turned back to Brian, saying, "We don't seem to have any here.  Come up to my apartment. I'm sure I have some there."



"Your apartment?" Brian asked, following Trip who had already made his way to the stairs.



"Since Dad had his heart attack, I've set up an apartment in the east wing.  My condo is in the city, but Dad has felt better having me here."



Brian was trailing behind Trip, trying to think of a way to get out of this.  "I don't really need another drink. I should maybe go back to my bedroom," Brian said stopping in the hallway.



"We're almost there," Trip laughed.  "Relax! I'm not going to compromise your virtue."

Brian smiled at this open admission of the attraction they felt for each other.  He could be strong, and Trip was promising not to start anything. Trip opened a door and led Brian into his apartment.  It was a very masculine room with lots of leather furniture and mahogany wood. Brian glanced around admiringly, then stopped dead in his tracks.  Above a small table on one wall was the sketch of him in his leather pants sauntering down the hallway of Justin's dorm in New York.



"How the fuck did you get that?" Brian asked, too surprised to care about his language with a client.



"I was in New York briefly the weekend of the art show.  I stopped by one afternoon to see if you were there and to meet Justin.  Since you weren't there, I had to settle for the next best thing," Trip said, gesturing to the portrait.



"How did you know about the show?" Brian asked, concerned that Trip had this picture of him, but also flattered that he did.



"You told me that your partner was in an art course in New York, and I saw the show advertised when I was there.  As soon as I saw your picture, I knew I had the right Justin. He's very talented, but then he has a wonderful subject."

Brian knew he was blushing.  Trip handed him a glass of Beam and he downed it in one gulp.



"Another?" Trip asked.



Brian nodded and handed the glass back to be refilled.  "I can't believe you have that sketch. It was sold the afternoon we took Gus to Central Park."

"Who's Gus?" Trip asked.



"My son."

"I didn't know you had a son."



"Well, I'm glad to see there are a few things you don't know about me," Brian stated.



"You know that I find you very attractive."



"I feel the same way, "Brian admitted, "but I'm in a committed relationship with Justin."  He smiled proudly to himself. He had gotten that sentence out without one hesitation. Justin would be proud of him.



"I understand, and as I told you before, I wouldn't interfere with that.  But I also like you very much. You're an intelligent, interesting man. I hope we can be friends."



"I'd like that," Brian said, downing the next glass of Beam Trip had handed him.  As soon as he did, he thought he better slow it down or his good intentions might evaporate in the steady stream of Beam he was inhaling.



"Care for another?" Trip asked.



"I think I better get some sleep," Brian replied, handing his empty glass to Trip.



"Can you find your way back to your room, or shall I come with you?"



Brian didn't think that was a very smart idea.  "I'm sure I can find my way. Good night, Trip," he said, quickly leaving the room and heading down the hall.  He entered his bedroom, closed the door behind him and locked it. He leaned against the door and let out a long breath that he had been holding since he left Trip's apartment.



"I can do this," he whispered.  He picked up his phone to call Justin.  He really needed to hear his voice right now.



                                                               -----



When Brian came down for breakfast he found Trip at the table and no sign of Jerome.



"Morning," he said to Trip.  "Is your father sleeping late?"



"He's not feeling too well.  He had a restless night, so you're stuck with me today," Trip said nonchalantly.  Brian hoped Trip didn't notice his reaction. This was not a good thing.



"What do you have planned?" Brian asked.



"I have a photographer lined up to do some shots of the prototype chairs.  I thought we could use your input to get some shots that might be good for your campaign, or at least in our catalogue."



"Sure," Brian replied.  At least they wouldn't be alone.



Brian and Trip spent the day together, talking about business and getting to know each other.  They had lunch at the factory in the cafeteria. Brian had to admit the food was quite good and many of the employees stopped by their table to speak to Trip.  It seemed that they had great respect for Trip and his father. Many asked about the senior Mr. Bedford's health since he wasn't with them.



"You seem to have a class act here," Brian observed.  He didn't know too much about factories, but he thought the people seemed rather happy and content with their lot there.  He knew from his own father that many people were a lot less pleased with their working conditions.



"Thanks," Trip replied, "Dad would be happy to hear you say that.  He has always believed the heart of a good company is its workforce, and he has done his best to make the working conditions and benefits top of the line."



Brian nodded.  That just verified his good impression of the Bedfords and their company.



They spent the afternoon with the photographer and got some shots that Brian thought were good.  He suggested the one to use in the catalogue and asked for some blowups to be sent to Pittsburgh.  He would use them in the print campaign.



As the day wound down Trip suggested they have dinner in the city.  He knew a nice restaurant. Brian had little choice but to agree. The food was good and they both had plenty of wine.  When they were finished, Trip wanted to take Brian to his favorite club, since he had been to Babylon with Brian. They called a taxi, neither wanting to drive after the drinks they had had with dinner.  Trip also called to check on his father and get his car and driver to pick them up from the club at midnight.



The club was called Smash and was a smaller version of Babylon.  Brian knew from vast experience that one club was much like another, and their purpose was always sex.  He and Trip danced and had more drinks. Brian knew he should slow down, but he was having a good time and he didn't want to think about his responsibilities.



When the car picked them up, Brian remembered vaguely that they were both a little unsteady.  He thought he had leaned against Trip a lot, and it seemed perfectly natural, and nothing had happened.  They arrived back at the mansion and again leaned on each other as they staggered up to Brian's room. Once in the room they both slumped down on the bed.



"I should be going," Trip said, trying to regain his feet.



"Yeah," Brian agreed.



The next thing he knew they were kissing, a long and totally pleasurable kiss.  Brian didn't know who had started it, but it was what they both wanted. Trip moaned into Brian's mouth and Brian felt his dick harden.  "Justin," the thought flashed through his mind, and he rather reluctantly pushed Trip away. Suddenly he was a lot more sober. He wasn't going to do this.



"Time for you to go," he said to Trip and helped the man to stand.



Trip looked at him longingly.  "You're sure?"



"Very."



"Too bad," Trip responded, staggering slightly as he made his way to the door.



"Trip, that kiss should never have happened," Brian said softly.



"I know, but we both wanted it.  Maybe we won't remember it in the morning," Trip said.  Both of them knew there wasn't much chance of that.



Trip closed the door behind him, and Brian locked it, more to keep himself in than to keep anyone out.  He knew Trip wouldn't come back.



"Fuck!" he muttered.  "That was close."



                                                               -----



When Brian went down to breakfast in the morning, he was dreading a confrontation with Trip.  He remembered most of what had happened last night, but more, he remembered what didn't happen.



Jerome was seated at the table in the dining room.  There was no sign of Trip. Brian let out a sigh of relief.  He took some coffee and a bagel from the sideboard.



"Is that all you're having?" Jerome asked.



"I don't eat much," Brian replied.



"You look a little hung over."

"A bit," Brian agreed.



"I guess Trip took you to some clubs."



"Yeah."



"He's not feeling up to snuff this morning either.  He wanted me to tell you goodbye, and that he hopes to see you soon.  He's still in bed."



"Oh."



"Brian, nothing happened last night, did it?"



Brian was pretty sure what 'nothing' Jerome wanted to know about.  "No," he said, "nothing happened."



"Good.  I love my son, and he's a wonderful man, but he doesn't always make the best choices."



Brian thought he understood what the man was telling him.  "I'm in a relationship, and I'm not going to screw it up."



"That's good.  I really enjoy working with you and I know Trip does too."



"The feeling's mutual," Brian replied, thinking of other feelings that were mutual as well.



Jerome stood up.  He shook Brian's hand and said, "The car will take you to the airport as soon as you're ready."

"Thanks."



Brian went up to his room to gather the rest of his things.  He wasn't going to see Trip before he left, and maybe that was just as well.  He had a long flight home to think things over and decide exactly what he was going to tell Justin about his business 'trip'.


Chapter 3 - Gone Fishing by Thyme

 

Gone Fishing

Justin picked Brian up at the airport when he arrived back from Indianapolis.  It was just after noon. He drove them directly to the loft where Brian changed his clothes.  They gathered up anything else they thought they might need and added it to the bags that Justin had already packed.  As soon as they had everything they drove to Lindsay's to pick up Gus.



Neither one of them had mentioned anything about Indianapolis or most specifically Trip Bedford.  Justin figured that at some point during their fishing weekend with Gus they would get around to it.  Brian figured that the longer they avoided talking about it, the greater the chance Justin might not broach the subject, and the longer he would have to decide exactly what he was going to say, if Justin did force him to talk about it.



When they approached the munchers' house, Gus was standing on the front porch, his hand firmly grasped by his mother.  As the Jeep rounded the corner, Gus began to bounce up and down with excitement.



"Fishing!  Fishing!" Gus shouted.



It was all his mother could do to keep him from escaping and racing out in front of the Jeep.  When Brian finally stepped out of the car, Lindsay released her son and he raced to his father, flinging himself into Brian's arms.



"Whoa, Sonny Boy," Brian said as soothingly as he could.  "Calm down. We'll leave in a few minutes."



"Fishing!" Gus shrieked, wrapping his arms tightly around Brian's neck.



Brian stood up with Gus clinging to him.  He was sure he could have let go of the boy and Gus would still have hung like a pendant from his neck.  His grip was viselike.



"Could you wind him up a little tighter for us?" Brian asked Lindsay sarcastically.



She chuckled.  "He's been almost uncontrollable ever since you told him you were taking him fishing.  I'm so glad you get to deal with him for the next three days."



"Thanks!" Brian sighed.  "Is his shit ready?"



"Shit!" Gus said, still holding on tightly to his father.



"Brian!" Lindsay admonished.  "Watch your language! Don't bring him back here swearing like a trooper."



Brian grimaced.  "We're heading out into the wilderness.  I don't think we'll have time to worry about language," Brian said with a superior look on his face.



"Wilderness, my foot!" Lindsay responded.  "Just bring him back in one piece and without a foul mouth.



"I'll do my best, mother!"



Justin had been carrying Gus' bags to the Jeep while Brian and Lindsay bantered back and forth.  He came back onto the porch and Gus reached for him. Justin took the little boy from Brian.



"Ready for fishing, partner?" Justin asked him.



"Fishing!"  Gus grinned and gave Justin a kiss.



"Gus," Brian said, "give mommy a kiss and let's blow this place."

Gus kissed his mother and gave her a big hug.  Then he took Justin's hand and waited to go fishing.



"Take care of him, you guys," Lindsay said a little choked up.



"He'll be fine," Brian said, kissing her cheek.



Lindsay tried to smile at him.



"I'll look after both of them," Justin stated.



"Thank God, there's one adult in the group!" Lindsay chuckled, feeling better that Justin was going and had some sense of what he was doing.



Brian gave them both a withering look, grabbed Gus' hand and marched out to the Jeep.



"I think you insulted him," Justin said.



"I did?  You will make sure that Gus is okay?" Lindsay asked softly.



"Of course.  Don't worry! We'll all be fine," Justin reassured her.



She gave Justin a peck on the cheek and he went to join the others in the Jeep.  Brian already had Gus buckled into his car seat. He started the engine and gunned it without a backward glance.  Justin and Gus tried to return Lindsay's waves.



"That wasn't very nice!" Justin admonished Brian.



"Fuck her!  She pissed me off," Brian grumbled, keeping his voice low so Gus wouldn't hear.



"Don't spoil this, Brian.  Forget what she said."



Brian didn't answer, but he knew Justin was right.  As they drove in silence, he allowed his anger and ill will to subside.  By the time they were on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, he had pretty much returned to normal.  Justin had put in a CD and they listened to it for awhile. When that was done, Justin and Gus sang some kiddy songs, and even got Brian to join in once or twice.  They did a lot of laughing and generally enjoyed themselves. Finally Gus dozed off, lulled by the constant sound and motion of the car.



Brian kept glancing over at Justin.  After the tenth time Justin said, "What?  You're driving me nuts."



"You amaze me sometimes," Brian said.



"I know I'm pretty amazing," Justin boasted, "but what do you mean?"

"I was in a foul mood, dreading four hours of driving, then Lindsay ticks me off, and we're headed for God knows what in the middle of nowhere…" Brian griped.



"And your point is?"



"You have me smiling and singing fucking kiddy songs, and enjoying myself."

Justin smiled at him and didn't say anything.  This was the best part of being together. They did enjoy each other's company, not just the fucking.  And when Brian actually said out loud that he appreciated what they had, Justin's heart burst with love and pride.



"Aren't you going to say anything?" Brian asked.



"You said it all!" Justin responded.  "I was thinking of a suitable reward for you for being so perceptive about how wonderful I am."



"Arrogant shit!" Brian smiled back at him.



They drove on for another hour until Gus woke up.  He was hungry and a little cranky. Justin had been studying his map.



"We're almost to the last town before the cabin," Justin told Brian.  "I think we should have some dinner there and stock up on a few things we'll need for the weekend.  The cabin's about a half hour past the town."



Brian agreed, wanting to get out and walk around a bit.  They found a greasy spoon, not too different from the Liberty Diner.  Gus wolfed down his hot dog and fries. Brian had coffee and a roast beef sandwich, no mayo.  They didn't have turkey. Justin had a huge hamburger and fries. Brian shook his head at the two gluttons he was traveling with.



"What's wrong, Dada?" Gus asked seeing the expression on his father's face.   



"Where do you two put it all?" Brian asked rhetorically.



"Hungry!" Gus stated, as if that explained everything.  He continued to gobble his remaining fries.



"It's our youthful metabolism," Justin joked.



"Ass..." Brian started to say, but stopped remembering Gus' penchant for copying him.



"Hole," Gus completed his sentence, smiling angelically.



Justin almost spit out his last bite of hamburger at Gus' perfect understanding of Brian's mood and word.  "He certainly is your son," Justin teased.



Brian groaned.  "Was there ever any doubt?"


They finished eating.  The waitress directed them to the local grocery store where they got milk and a few other necessities to add to the cooler that Justin had bought for their trip.  They completed the last half hour of their trip singing and goofing around. As Justin directed them into a driveway that was little more than a glorified path, Brian was glad the Jeep had four wheel drive.  He also had many misgivings about what he had gotten himself into.



At the end of the trail they were following stood a quite presentable looking building.  Brian was pleased, having expected something much worse.



"My uncle said they had done some work on the place," Justin said, looking around.  "They've added a new part to the cabin." He pointed to one side of the building. Justin walked over to the door.  He reached down by the steps and picked up a cement frog ornament.



"Bait?" Brian asked his tongue in his cheek.



"Key," replied Justin, pulling out a plug from the bottom of the frog and producing a key to get into the cabin.  He unlocked the door, just as Brian was getting Gus out of his car seat.



Brian set Gus down and he jumped up and down, shouting, "Fishing, fishing!"



"We have to unload the Jeep first," Brian told him.  He handed Gus a little bag and told him to take it to Justin.  Gus dutifully carried it up to the door that Justin had propped open.  Justin took it from him and Brian dumped his load of stuff on the porch.  "Come on, Gus," Brian said. "There's more to carry." Gus went with his father and each time Brian carried a load to the porch Gus carried a little bundle of his own.  Brian figured this was the best way to keep Gus busy or he'd keep them busy, and they'd never get settled in.



When everything was out of the Jeep Brian carried the remaining pile into the cabin where Justin had put most of the stuff away.  Brian moved their bags into the bedrooms. There was one bedroom that surely was for kids with a couple of bunk beds. He put Gus' stuff in there.  Farther along the hallway in the new part of the building was a very nice master bedroom. Brian dropped his and Justin's bags in there and checked the bathroom.  He wanted to see what an environmental porta-potty looked like. It looked just the same as a regular toilet. He couldn't see how this thing could be moved to empty it.  He went back out to the kitchen where Justin was putting things into the fridge.



"This place isn't so rustic," Brian observed.



"I know," Justin replied.  "They've really made a lot of improvements since the last time I was here."



"I don't think we even have a porta-potty."



"Oh?"



"I was kind of looking forward to seeing you shovel the shit!" Brian grinned at him.



Justin groaned.  "Why do I put up with you?" he asked.



"You can't help yourself."



"Fishing," they heard Gus say wistfully.  The little boy was staring out the patio doors at a small lake behind the cabin.



They both stopped what they were doing and walked over to Gus.  The lake was very calm with the sun beginning to set over the far shore.  Brian put his hand on Gus' shoulder and his arm around Justin's back. The three stood staring out at the lake.



"It's beautiful," Brian said softly.



"If the conditions are right, the lake turns pink when the sun goes down," Justin explained.



"Pink," Gus said.



"Let's go sit on the dock and watch the sunset," Justin said.



"That sounds good," Brian agreed.  "All right with you, Sonny Boy?"



Gus nodded.



Brian and Justin each got a beer and Justin poured apple juice into a cup for Gus.  Brian undid the security locks on the patio doors and they walked out.



"They've built a gazebo," Justin said, pointing to a screened in octagon at the end of the deck.  "If the mosquitoes are too bad, we can sit in there, but let's try the dock first."



They walked out to the end of the dock.  Justin took off his shoes and socks and sat on the end dangling his feet in the water.  "Feels good," he said. Brian followed suit, rolling up his jeans. He took off Gus' shoes too, but the little boy's legs came nowhere near the water.  He didn't seem to mind though, happy to sit between his Dada and Justin and look at the lake.



The bugs weren't too bad.  There was a little breeze off the water and it was very pleasant sitting there.  They sipped their drinks and talked about fishing tomorrow. Justin pointed out the small boat tied to the dock.  He said they could fish from the dock, but they would probably have more luck if they went out into the lake in the boat.  A butterfly flitted by and Gus giggled in wonder. Brian watched his son, knowing that this weekend would be quite an experience for the little boy.  Hell, it would be quite an experience for him too. He had never done anything like this before. The sun was beginning to go down, and sure enough, the lake turned a golden pink.



"That's amazing!" Brian said, looking at the transformation of the lake into a magical domain.  The colors flickered and glowed.



"Amazing!" Gus whispered, staring out at the lake.



Brian and Justin looked at the boy.  He was pretty amazing himself.



"It's so beautiful here," Justin sighed.  "I always loved coming here when I was little."

"How long has it been since you were here?" Brian asked.



"I guess the last time was the summer I was fourteen."

"No wonder they have changed things.  That's six years ago. Why haven't you been back?"



"My Dad was too busy to take time off, and Mom didn't want to come without him, even though her brother always asked her to."

"How does your uncle feel about you being gay?" Brian asked.



"He's okay about it, I think.  I don't see him too often, but he lent us the cabin, so he must not care."

The sun had just about disappeared and the pink was fast becoming a steely blue.  Gus leaned against his father, yawning.



"I think it's bedtime for someone," Brian said.  He stood up and picked up Gus. He gave Justin a hand up and they walked back to the cabin, Gus half asleep on Brian's shoulder.  They got him into his pajamas, helped him brush his teeth, and tucked him into a bottom bunk bed. The little boy was asleep before they left the room.



Brian and Justin went back to the living room.  They got another beer and sat on the couch which gave them a view of the lake.  The last bits of color were just disappearing. Justin leaned against Brian's chest and sighed.



"Happy?" Brian asked.



"Very!" Justin declared.



"I was dreading roughing it, but this isn't so bad."

Justin snorted.  "This is hardly roughing it.  At one time there was no electricity or running water up here."



"What did you do?" Brian asked, wondering how you could live like that for even a few days.



"We made do.  Actually it was kind of fun.  Swimming instead of baths. We had oil lamps and flashlights.  The kids had quite a system of signals using the flashlights. We'd sneak out into the woods and smoke every now and then.  Two blinks of the flashlight meant the adults were asleep and it was safe to sneak out. Three flashes outside meant put the cigarette out because somebody was coming."



"I had no idea you were such a degenerate at so young an age."



"And here you thought you had corrupted me and taught me all those vices."



"That's what your father thought," Brian said ruefully.



"Brian, you have never done anything to me that I didn't want you to do … except Ethan and the threesomes."



"I know now that I should never have made you come to the baths with me, but I really thought you were getting off on it."



"I did at first, but then I discovered it wasn't for me."



"You're going to tell me, if I ask you to do something you don't want to do?"



"I sure am!" Justin stated.  "So what happened in Indianapolis?"



Brian groaned.  "Nothing happened.  I had my meeting and I came home … to you."



"Did you see Trip?"



"Yes."

"You're not giving me much information here."

"There's nothing to tell."

"Somehow I find that hard to believe."



Brian groaned again.  He had already decided to tell Justin the whole story, but he still dreaded doing it.  If he had learned anything from the Noel fiasco, it was that they were strongest when they trusted each other and told the truth, all of the truth.



"What did that groan mean?" Justin asked, suspecting there was more to the story than Brian had shared so far.


"Here goes," Brian said.  "You know the sketch of me in the leather pants that you sold in New York?   Trip bought it."



"What?  Fuck!"



"He knew you were in New York taking an art course.  I told him that when I told him I was in a relationship.  He went there on business and saw the show advertised." Brian answered all of Justin's questions before he could ask them.



"Fuck!" Justin repeated, not knowing what to say.



"There's more," Brian added.



It was Justin's turn to groan.



"We went out to his favorite club and … and we both got smashed," Brian chuckled ruefully.



"What's so funny?" Justin demanded, a stricken look on his face.



"The club is called Smash," Brian explained.



Justin didn't see anything funny about that.  "And what happened while you two were 'smashed'?"



"He kissed me.  We … kissed each other."

"Oh."



"But that was all.  I thought of you and I told him to get out."



"You did?" Justin asked.  He didn't know whether to be angry about the kiss or happy that Brian had told him to stop.



"I did," Brian said proudly.  "I knew I could be strong."



Justin could hear the pride in Brian's voice, and he realized how hard that must have been for the man.  From everything Justin knew, Trip was to die for, and he was very interested in Brian. But Brian had turned him down, because he was thinking of Justin.



"I love you," Justin said and kissed Brian deeply.



"Let's go to bed," Brian said huskily.



"Not yet."



"Not yet?  Why?"



"We have to dig some worms first."



"Are you insane?"



"No.  If you want Gus to catch a fish tomorrow, we need some bait, so let's go outside and dig some night crawlers."


"Can't we do it in the morning, if we have to do it at all?  I want to fuck you."



"I want to fuck you too, but they're called night crawlers because they are active at night.  We need to dig them now."

Brian groaned.  "I knew I was going to hate this."

"Come on," Justin said taking his hand and tugging him up from the couch.  "It'll be faster if we both dig, and then you can fuck me that much sooner."  Justin wiggled his delicious bottom at Brian as he headed for the door.



Brian groaned again, but this time from desire, not misery.



It only took them a few minutes to collect a bottle of worms from the garden by the cabin.  Brian did more than his share of complaining, but he did help and wasn't too obnoxious about it.  Justin made sure the lid on the bottle of worms was tight, kissed Brian and raced to the bedroom. He threw off pieces of clothing along the way, and was naked by the time he hit the bed.  He lay back in all his splendor, stroking his hardening cock, as Brian arrived in the room almost undressed himself. He kicked off his jeans and threw himself on top of Justin.



"Shut the door," Justin told him before things got too heated.  "We don't want Gus walking in on us.



Brian reluctantly got up and shut the door.  "We'll be able to hear him if he gets up, won't we?"



"The walls are pretty thin, but we can open the door when we're through.


And Brian was on him again.  He took Justin's cock and stroked it to full erection.  All the while his other hand roamed Justin's body, his nipples, his balls, his ass.  Brian's mouth engulfed his lover's cock, sucking and licking, tugging and humming. Justin thrashed about beneath him, ready to explode.



"Finish me off or fuck me!" he begged Brian.



Brian grabbed a condom which he had carefully placed beside the bed when they had first arrived.  He handed it to Justin who slid it over Brian's thick and pulsing dick. Brian's lubed fingers were already working their way into Justin's pucker and the boy's hand shook as he lubed Brian's shaft.



"My little fisherman!" Brian whispered in that husky, sensuous voice that sent shivers up Justin's spine.



"I've already made my catch," Justin declared, claiming Brian's lips in a fierce kiss.



Brian's cock pushed past the first ring of muscle, and Justin expelled a breath into Brian's mouth.  Brian thrust again and was fully inside. Justin bucked against him and the ride began. It would be hard and fast, each straining to give the other as much pleasure as possible.  When they came, it was explosive and powerful and right.



They lay in each other's arms afterwards, holding on tenderly but tightly.



"I can never get close enough to you," Justin whispered.



"That was the reason I stopped Trip.  I remembered how you give me your whole being, how you seem to reach inside me, and you're the only one who will ever be able to do that.  You're all there is for me."



Justin reached up for Brian's mouth and kissed him with such joy and enthusiasm that he took Brian's breath away.  "I love you so much. I should smack you for mentioning Trip right after we made love, but how can I be mad at you when you say things like that?"

"I…I just said it without thinking.  I didn't mean to spoil the moment."



"You didn't.  What you said was wonderful."



"Should I open the door or do you want to go again?"



"Again!" Justin declared, a grin spreading across his face.



"That's the other reason I stopped Trip.  He could never be as insatiable as you are."


"Why don't you quit while you're ahead?" Justin asked, not wanting to hear another word about Trip.



No more words were needed until they finally opened their door, and said goodnight to each other.



                                                              -----



The morning dawned bright and clear.  Gus pushed back the door of his father's room and it hit the wall.  Brian sat up startled.



"Dada!" Gus said, running to the bed.  "Where were you?"



"I'm right here, Sonny Boy," Brian said, lifting him into the bed. "Were you scared when you woke up?"



"A little," Gus nodded.



"Well, we're right here.  Sleepyhead Justin should wake up any time now."



"Sleepyhead!" Gus repeated, giggling.



"I'm awake," Justin mumbled rolling over.



Gus leaned over and kissed him.  "I love you, Justin."



"I love you too, partner," Justin said returning the kiss.  "Are you ready to go fishing?"



"Fishing!" Gus shouted.  "Now!"



"Let's get cracking," Justin replied.  "The earlier we start, the better the chance we'll catch something."



They got up, had some toast and juice, and got ready to go fishing.  Justin packed some drinks and told Brian to get three fishing rods from a cupboard.  There was a small one which looked right for Gus. They carried everything out to the boat and Justin started it up.  There was no noise from the motor. Brian looked questioningly at Justin.



"It's an electric motor," Justin explained.  "They don't allow noisy motors on this lake. All the property owners have agreed to that."

"It's kind of nice not to have to listen to boats roaring around," Brian said, as their small aluminum boat moved soundlessly out into the lake.



Justin made sure Brian put the smallest lifejacket on Gus.  They had all worn long sleeved shirts since they would be in the sun for a couple of hours.  Brian slathered Gus with suntan lotion and then did the same for Justin. They all secured their hats as the boat moved a little faster.  Justin convinced Brian to use the suntan lotion too, and he covered his face with it as Justin steered to his favorite fishing spot.



Once they cut the engine, Justin opened the bottle of worms and took Gus' fishing pole.  He skewered a worm on the hook and showed Gus how to drop it over the side of the boat and move it around a bit to attract the attention of fish.  Gus grinned as he played with the pole, swaying it back and forth. Then he giggled with absolute joy. Brian and Justin smiled at each other, watching Gus fulfill his greatest desire.  Brian kept a hand on his shoulder because he wanted to stand up and Brian wanted him to stay seated.



Justin offered a worm to Brian to put on his hook.  Brian made a face and refused to take it.



"Chicken!" Justin said, putting the worm on for him.



Brian dropped his line over the side and Justin got his own ready.  They all sat in silence for a few minutes waiting for something to happen.



"When are the fish going to bite?" Brian asked.



"There's no guarantee they will."

"Oh?  Somebody will be disappointed if they don't," Brian said indicating Gus.



"Are you having fun, Gus?" Justin asked.



The little boy beamed at him.



"You like fishing?" Brian asked him.



Gus nodded.  "Amazing!" he said, using the word from last night.



The two adults chuckled, just as Gus dropped his pole in surprise.  Justin grabbed it before it disappeared over the side of the boat.



"You've got a bite," Justin told Gus.  He put the pole in Gus' hands, but held on to it as well.  He angled Gus around to stand between his legs and carefully showed him how to turn the reel and start to bring in the fish.  The little boy's eyes were the size of saucers and Brian wasn't sure his son was still breathing. He looked mesmerized and scared and thunderstruck.  Brian watched in fascination as his two boys landed the first fish of the day. He handed the net to Justin and they pulled a fair sized trout out of the water.



"Lunch," Justin said grinning at Brian.



The fish gave a few jerks and Gus jumped.  He didn't look too happy about this aspect of fishing.  Justin opened the cooler and placed the fish inside on the ice they had laid on the bottom.



"You just caught your first fish, Sonny Boy," Brian said, trying to reassure Gus.  "Good job!"



Gus grinned at his father.  Justin had put another worm on Gus' hook and dropped it over the side of the boat.  He smiled at Brian as Gus again began gently swinging his pole through the water. They sat in silence for several minutes, nothing else biting.  Suddenly Gus jumped. He didn't drop the pole this time, but he held it toward Justin who once again helped him. This time it was a tiny fish that Justin said they should put back so it could grow up to be a big fish.  Gus agreed and they let it go.



Brian asked Gus if he was thirsty and they all had a drink.  Justin felt his pole pull down and knew he had a bite. He got Gus to help him reel it in and they added it to the cooler.  Brian didn't look too happy. He hadn't had a single bite. Justin tried to encourage him, but he seemed more interested in watching Gus than fishing himself.



After a long while Gus got another bite and they pulled in a decent sized fish.  That made three fish which Justin said was plenty for lunch and probably dinner. He suggested they call it a morning and head back to the cabin.  Brian agreed.



Justin and Brian cleaned the fish and put them in the refrigerator till they were ready to cook them.  They got the charcoal and fired up the barbecue, letting the coals burn down while they sat on the deck having a beer.



"How did you like fishing?" Brian asked Gus.



"Good!"



"You want to go again later?" Justin asked.



Gus nodded.



"I think we have a new Red Fisher," Brian chuckled.



"Who's Red Fisher?" Justin asked.



Brian groaned.  He wanted to think of Justin as an adult, but he was so young and just didn't have the same frame of reference for things.  "He was this guy who had a fishing show on TV. He invited actors and semi-famous people up to Scuttlebutt Lodge, took them fishing and showed their adventure on his show."



"You actually watched that?" Justin asked in disbelief.



"Noooo!" Brian replied, but I saw a bit of it from time to time.  It was so bad it was interesting … sometimes."



"You did have a dysfunctional life before I came along to save you!"



Brian stuck his tongue out at Justin.  He heard Gus giggling. "Don't you start, Sonny Boy!" Brian cautioned.  Gus gave him his most angelic look. Justin was suffocating, trying to hold in his laughter.  Suddenly Brian burst out laughing too, and they all laughed until their sides hurt.



Justin watched Brian.  It was rare to see Brian laugh like that.  Justin could only think of one or two times when he had seen such genuine enjoyment radiating from Brian.  If nothing else, this weekend had given them that.



"I thought you were going to be an old grump when you didn't catch a fish today, and here you are laughing until it hurts."



"You two crack me up," Brian observed.



"Well you're pretty funny yourself.  That Red Fisher story! I bet you made all that up."

Brian gave Justin his best 'Who Me?' look, and they all started laughing again.



The fresh fish made a delicious lunch.  Gus gobbled down the fish as fast as Brian could make sure there were no hidden bones in a piece.  Brian got a few bites in between and they all declared it to be the best thing they had ever eaten.  They had cooked all three fish and they devoured most of it.



Justin leaned back, licking his fingers.  They had all discovered it was easiest to pull the fish apart with their hands, check for bones, and eat it with their fingers.



"What are you smiling at?" Brian asked, wiping Gus' face.



"This is the first meal where I have truly brought home the bacon, or the trout to be more exact," Justin said.



"You've made lots of meals at the loft."



"I know, but this one I caught, or Gus and I caught."  Justin smiled at the little boy who chose that moment to let out a big belch.  Brian and Justin chuckled and Gus grinned. "I feel like I really am contributing to our life together."



"Don't ever think that you don't," Brian said seriously.



Justin appreciated those words.  He was always going to be younger than Brian and not as advanced in his career.  Brian would probably be the breadwinner for many years to come. Who knew if he would ever make much from his artwork?  It was a pretty risky business. He was glad to have this opportunity to provide for his family. He hoped he would get other chances as time went on.



"It's too bad it's too cool to go swimming," Justin said.  "Early June the water is still really cold."



"I should get the munchers to put Gus in swimming lessons, so he could swim in the lake," Brian said.



"You'd come back here again?"



"I've had a great time so far!" Brian replied genuinely.



Justin beamed at him.  "I could see if we could get the cabin in July or August," Justin suggested.



"That would be fine, wouldn't it, Sonny Boy?" Brian replied.



Gus nodded.  "Fishing!" he said with his usual enthusiasm.



"Should we try again this afternoon?" Justin asked.  Father and son nodded at him.



They cleaned up from lunch and did try fishing later in the afternoon.  No one caught anything. Justin explained that early morning was really the best time to fish.  They decided they would try again Sunday morning before they left. They sat on the deck, taught Gus how to play Parcheesi, laughed and talked a lot.  It was an easy, happy day for them all.



Sunday morning Gus caught two more fish, and so did Justin.  Brian never had a bite, but he didn't seem to mind. He loved watching the other two and their excitement over their catches.  They cleaned the fish and decided to take them home to Melanie and Lindsay. Gus could be the provider for dinner that night.



They started repacking the Jeep to get ready to leave.  Gus whimpered a bit when he realized what was happening.  Brian used the same trick of having Gus carry a little bundle of stuff to the Jeep with each load he carried.  That took Gus' mind off their impending departure. Brian showed him that his fish were in the cooler to take to his mommies.  Gus was very happy about that. He wanted to show them what he had caught.



When everything was cleaned up and locked up, Brian loaded his son into his car seat.  Gus looked at the cabin wanting to cry.



"We'll come back," Brian told him.  "You're a good fisherman, Gus. We'll bring you back another time."



That seemed to cheer Gus up and he smiled at his father.  He reached out his arms for Brian to hug him. He kissed Brian's cheek and said, "Thank you, Dada."



"Tell Justin that."



Gus held his arms out to Justin and told him the same thing.  Justin beamed his Sunshine smile.



They got into the Jeep and started down the path to the road.



"I can hardly wait until Thomas the Train goes big game hunting," Justin teased.



Brian groaned, and then smiled at his lover.  He and Justin and Gus could do anything, together.

Chapter 4 - Funeral by Thyme

 

Funeral

Brian gathered up his notes and stood, stretching his back to relieve some of the tension he knew was captured there.  He squeezed the bridge of his nose and willed away the headache he had felt building for the last hour. Another fucking meeting finally over, he turned to leave the conference room.  One of his assistants, Jack, who had been in the meeting, had stood up, but had a very pained expression on his face.



"I know just how you feel!" Brian said.  "These fucking meetings will be the death of all of us."


Jack made a strange strangled sound from the back of his throat and pitched forward onto the conference table.  Brian looked at him for a second, not sure what was happening. As Jack's body started to slide off the table, Brian grabbed the man and eased him down onto the floor.



"Call 911!" Brian yelled, knowing Jack was in real trouble.



Cynthia stepped up beside Brian, who still cradled Jack in his arms.  "Lay him down, Brian, and loosen his tie," she ordered.



Brian did as she indicated.  When Jack was flat on his back, she checked his mouth and started CPR.  Brian sat on the floor watching her in horrified fascination. He had no idea how long Cynthia worked on Jack, but it seemed like forever.  Cynthia had a thin sheen of sweat on her face and arms by the time the paramedics arrived. They quickly took over and Brian helped Cynthia up.  They were administering some kind of IV and getting the defibrillator thing ready to zap him.



"Are you all right?" Brian asked Cynthia, putting his arm around her back.  He felt her sway and lean into him. He grabbed a chair and sat her down.



"I … I … I did what I could," she managed to get out, tears beginning in her eyes.



"You were great!" Brian told her.  "I had no idea what to do."

"Is he still alive?" she asked, looking at the paramedics who were now loading Jack onto a stretcher.



"I don't know, but they're still working on him, so I guess that's a good sign," Brian said.



Gardner Vance came up to Brian. "Contact his family," he said.  "They're taking him to Roswell."



The stretcher was pushed through the door and Jack disappeared to whatever fate awaited him.



"I have his home number in my rolodex," Cynthia said, trying to stand.  Her knees wobbled and she sat down quickly.



"Stay put, Cynthia," Brian said.  "I'll do it. Umm … what's his last name?" he asked, embarrassed that he didn't even know Jack's full name.  The man had worked with him since Vance took over the company. He had never bothered to find out anything about Jack's family or about his life.  "Does he have a wife?" Brian asked. Cynthia nodded.



Brian went out to Cynthia's desk.  People stood around with stunned looks on their faces, whispering and comforting each other.  He found the number and jotted it down, preferring to make this call from the privacy of his own office.



The phone rang three times before it was picked up.  A female voice said, "Hello?"



"Mrs. Simpson?" Brian asked.



"Yes."



"This is Brian Kinney from Vangard Advertising."



"Yes?"



He could hear the slight note of panic in that single word.  "It's Jack. I think he's had a heart attack. They've taken him to Roswell," Brian said.



"Oh … oh … oh no!" she moaned.



"Mrs. Simpson?" Brian said firmly.  "Mrs. Simpson, is there someone there with you or someone who can go with you to the hospital?"



"No," she said.  "No one. I … I'll get a taxi.  Is he still alive? My daughter!  What can I do with Emily?" The poor woman was babbling.



Brian had never had to do anything like this before.  Maybe he shouldn't have told her over the phone. Maybe he should have gone to the house.  He was useless at this kind of thing. "Is there a neighbor who could look after your daughter?" he asked gently.



"Yes!  Yes!" Mrs. Simpson sighed gratefully.  "Mrs. Roberts is next door. Thank you.  I'll talk to her."



"Would you like me to come pick you up and take you to the hospital?" Brian asked, not sure why he was offering this, but feeling that he needed to do something for this woman who was so distraught.



"Oh, that's not necessary," she said.



"I don't mind," Brian lied.



"It would be nice to have someone with me," she choked out.



Brian got her address and went out to the lobby.  He looked in the conference room to be sure Cynthia was all right.  She gave him a tired smile and he told her where he was going.



"That's nice of you, Brian.  I'm sure she'll appreciate a strong arm to lean on."



"I wish I had a strong arm to lean on too," Brian thought.  "Should he call Justin?" he wondered. He would like to have him there, but the young man didn't need another trip to Roswell, especially if Jack didn't make it.  He decided not to call Justin who would be at work at the art gallery.



                                                              -----



It had taken Brian about twenty minutes to find his way to the small house where Jack and his family lived.  He saw a woman pacing on the front sidewalk. He stopped the Jeep and reached over to push the door open. "Mrs. Simpson?" he said.



She nodded and got in.  "Call me Mary," she said gently.



"I'm Brian," he replied.  "I'll get you to the hospital as quickly as I can."



He sped off, all too familiar with the route to the hospital.  Mary stared straight ahead, not saying a word. Brian didn't know what to say to her, so he stayed quiet too.



When they arrived at the hospital, he dropped her at Emergency and parked the car.  He walked into the busy room with trepidation. Mary was talking to someone at the desk, as he walked over to her.



"They don't seem to know what I'm talking about," she said forlornly.



"We're here about Jack Simpson," Brian stated.  "He was brought in from Vangard Advertising, by ambulance," Brian added.



"Oh," the woman behind the desk said.  "Yes, here it is. You should have told me that he was brought in by ambulance," she chastised Mary.



"Who the fuck cares how he was brought in!  Where is he and how is he?" Brian demanded.



The woman gave him a disgusted look, but said that she would check on where Mr. Simpson was.  "Are you his wife?" she asked Mary.



Mary nodded.



"Come sit down over here," Brian suggested when the woman at the desk disappeared through a door behind her.  He hoped she was going to check on Jack.



Mary sat, her eyes fixed on the door, waiting for news.  After what seemed like an eternity, a doctor appeared in the doorway.  He strode over to Brian and Mary. "Could you come with me please?" he asked, and Brian knew the news was not going to be good.



The doctor led them into an office and indicated two chairs side by side.  They sat. Brian wished he was somewhere else, anywhere else. The doctor looked from Mary to Brian.  "I'm sorry," he said. "We couldn't do anything. It was a massive heart attack."

He felt Mary shiver and then sob.  He gently put his arm around her shoulders.  He didn't know what else to do, so he simply held her against his chest and let her cry.  After a few minutes she pulled away and asked for a tissue. Brian handed her the box from the desk, thinking that there must be many sad announcements made in this office.  He wondered how many boxes of tissues they went through in a week.



"Do I have to do anything here?" she asked the doctor.



"Would you like to see him?"



"Yes," she whispered.



"Come with me," the doctor said leading her out of the office.  She turned and held out her hand for Brian to come with her. He could do nothing but follow.



Mary went into a cubicle with the doctor.  Brian stayed outside because he thought Mary would like a minute alone with her husband.  The doctor came out. He motioned Brian away from the cubicle.



"She's in rough shape," he said.  "I hope you will stay with her or arrange for someone else to be with her.  She shouldn't be alone. Once she contacts a funeral home, they will take over all the details," he said matter-of-factly.



Brian thanked him and waited for Mary to come out.  He didn't want to go in there. He felt somehow guilty that he didn't know more about Jack, that he had never taken the time to get to know him or most of the other people he worked with.  He paced back and forth while he waited.



Finally Mary reappeared looking pale but more composed.  "You waited?" she said.



"I couldn't leave you alone," he replied.



"I appreciate your help."



"It's the least I can do.  Would you like me to take you home now?"



"Yes, please."



They walked out to the Jeep, Brian firmly holding her arm and willing her to be strong.  The ride back to the house was mostly in silence, but as they drew near, Brian needed to know some things.  "Do you have some family that should be contacted?" he asked her, hoping there was someone who could come and stay with her.



"I called my sister before you came.  She lives in Cleveland, and they were going to leave to come here as soon as they could.  They should be here soon," she said looking at her watch.



"That's good.  I could stay until they arrive," he offered.



"That would be good.  I don't think I want to be alone right now."



"Sure."



They pulled up in front of the house.  She handed Brian her key and asked him to open the door.  She went to the neighboring house to get her daughter. Brian waited in the doorway until she returned with the little girl who looked to be about Gus' age.   



"Emily, say hello to Brian," she said.



Emily shyly said, "Hi."



Brian smiled at the little girl, thinking what Gus would do if it had been him with the heart attack.  He tried to push that thought out of his head. He followed Mary and Emily into the house.



Mary got Emily some apple juice and put her in the family room to play with her dolls.  Brian thought of the irony of that term 'family room'. There was only part of a family left for that little one now.



"Do you want to contact a funeral home?" Brian asked, looking at his watch.  It was almost five, and he thought they should do it now before the end of the business day.  "Or we can wait till your sister arrives," he added.



"I don't know a funeral home, and neither will my sister."



"My father died not too long ago," Brian said.  "Ironically his name was Jack too," he felt compelled to add.  "I could call that funeral service. They did a good job."



"Would you?" she sighed in relief.  "We've only been here a few months, since Jack got the job at Vangard, and I don't know the city or what to do or who to call …" Her voice trailed off and tears started to roll down her face.



"I'll call them right now.  Why don't you go sit with Emily?"



"Yes … yes," she said.  "I will."



Brian was glad to have something useful to do.  He looked up the funeral home in the phone book and called them.  They said they would see to the body, and that Mary should come to their offices in the morning to make all of the arrangements.



Brian went into the family room to find Mary sitting on the floor rocking Emily in her lap.  He watched in silence for a minute, not sure whether he should speak. Finally he said, "Mary," in a soft voice.



She looked up at him and set Emily back on the floor.  She stood up and came over to him. He explained what he had done and said the name and address of the funeral home was on the pad in the kitchen.  They wanted to talk to her in the morning.



Just then the doorbell rang.  Mary looked at it with fear in her eyes, like maybe it would be her dead husband or something.  She seemed frozen on the spot. Brian went to the door. He opened it to reveal a woman who looked much like Mary.  She pushed past Brian without a word and went to her sister. They were soon sobbing in each other's arms.



Brian turned back to close the door, when a man walked up the steps.  He shook Brian's hand. "I'm Mary's brother-in-law, Simon," he said.



"Brian Kinney.  I worked with Jack at Vangard," Brian replied.



"I take it the news is not good," he said looking at the weeping women.



"He didn't make it."



"Damn."



"It's fucking crummy," Brian responded.  "I should probably take off now that you're here.  I called a funeral service and they are expecting Mary in the morning.  Their name and address is on the pad in the kitchen. They're looking after the body."



"Thanks Brian," he said.



Mary stepped away from her sister and took Brian's hand.  "Thank you for staying with me. I don't know what I would have done without you."



"It's the least I could do.  Take care," he said and went out the door.



On the porch Brian took a deep breath.  That was one of the worst things he had ever had to do.  He lit a cigarette and noted that his hand was shaking. He needed a drink or two or twelve.



                                                             -----



When Justin arrived at the loft a little before seven, he found Brian on the couch, three sheets to the wind.  "Brian?" he asked.



Brian looked up at him, eyes unable or unwilling to focus on him.  "Justin!" he sighed, shaking his head.



"Brian?  What's going on?"



Brian continued to shake his head slowly from side to side.



"Brian!  Talk to me!"



Justin had never asked Brian to cut back on his drinking and drugging, but since they had been back together, Brian had seemingly done so.  Not going to the clubs as much also helped. Justin couldn't imagine what would have made Brian resort to this drunken state once again.



Finally Brian responded.  "I've had the for shit day to top all for shit days!" he managed to get out.



"What happened?" Justin asked, moving over to sit beside Brian on the couch.



Brian took a big swig of Beam and leaned against Justin.  "Jack's dead," he muttered.



"I know, Brian.  Your father's been dead for months."


"No … no," Brian mumbled, "you don't understand."

"Then tell me what's wrong.  Why are you drinking like this?"



"Jack, one of my assistants, had a heart attack at work today.  He's dead."

"Oh, my God!"



"Right in front of me.  He died right in front of me."

"God, Brian!  That's terrible."



"I told him those fucking meetings would be the death of us…and he died."

"Brian, it's not your fault," Justin rubbed Brian's back as the man leaned against him.  He knew Brian's tendency to take responsibility for everything that happened around him. He thought Brian must be feeling like he had somehow caused this.



"He has a wife and a little girl about Gus' age.  They're all alone now. That could have been me. He's about the same age I am, maybe younger.  What would happen to Gus and you if I had a heart attack?"

"Brian, you're not going to have a heart attack.  You're fine, but you need to stop drinking."



"I'm not fine.  I can't do this.  Funerals and mourning and trying to help.  I wanted you this afternoon," Brian mumbled.



"Why didn't you call me?"



"You were working."



"I could have got Jane to cover."



"Didn't want you to see."

"Brian, we're supposed to share things, not just good things, but everything.  Come up to bed and lie down for awhile," Justin said. He helped Brian stand on wobbly legs. Together they stumbled up to the bedroom.  Justin helped Brian get out of his clothes and laid him down on the bed. He pulled the duvet over Brian, even though it was early summer.



"Stay with me," Brian asked, reaching for Justin's hand.



Justin stripped off his clothes and climbed in beside Brian.  He cradled the bigger man against him.



"I love you," Brian mumbled.



"I love you too," Justin declared.  He gently rocked his lover. After several minutes Brian's even breathing indicated that he was asleep.  Justin continued to rock him, not sure exactly what had set Brian off. He knew a death was difficult to deal with, but Justin suspected that Brian wouldn't have known this man very well.  He never talked about people from work like he knew any of them, except Cynthia. Justin continued to rock him, giving the man his unspoken support and love even in his sleep.



                                                              -----



When Justin awoke the next morning he was alone in bed.  "Brian!" Justin called, but he was sure the loft was empty.  They hadn't talked at all last night. After Brian fell asleep, Justin had got up and made himself a sandwich.  He had drawn for an hour or two before returning to bed. He had debated waking Brian and making him eat something, but he thought the man needed the sleep more.  He wasn't sure why Brian was so upset. Death was awful, but he hadn't shown this kind of reaction to his own father's death, at least not that he had been aware of.  When they had seen the boy in the dumpster, Brian had made some smart remark. He didn't seem to be upset at all. Justin wasn't sure what was going on with Brian, but they needed to talk about it.



Justin looked at the clock.  It was seven in the morning. He decided to try Brian's cell.  Brian answered almost immediately.



"Are you at work?" Justin asked.



"Yeah."



"What time did you leave?  I wanted to talk to you."

"Early."



"Brian, why won't you talk to me?"



"There's nothing to say."

"Of course there is.  Tell me what you're feeling.  Let me help you. Don't shut me out."

"Can we do this later?" Brian asked, rubbing his forehead.



"Yes, if you promise you will."

"All right, tonight."



Brian clicked off before Justin could ask him to do any other things he didn't want to do.



Justin sighed and got up.  He decided to draw for an hour before he got ready for work.  He could see Brian's tortured face clearly in his mind. Maybe drawing it would help to erase it from his brain.



                                                              -----



Justin rode the elevator up to the loft.  He wondered what awaited him on the other side of the door.  Would Brian be drunk again? Would he even be there? Would he talk to him?



It was after ten-thirty.  Justin had worked at the gallery till six and then done four hours at the diner.  He was very tired, but he knew Brian needed him, and he needed to find out what was going on with Brian.



Justin pushed back the door.  He didn't see Brian anywhere. "Brian?" he called.  There was no answer. Brian wasn't there. "Now what?" Justin wondered.



He debated trying Brian's cell phone, but decided that Brian would come back when he was ready.  Who knew what he might interrupt with his call? He shook his head. He decided he needed a shower to wash the grease and grime of the diner off his body.  Maybe Brian would be back by the time he was finished.



Justin had been drawing for two hours.  It was well after one a.m. and still no sign of Brian.  He yawned and weighed his options. He could go to bed and get the sleep he needed.  He could wait up for Brian and possibly get into a fight with him, depending on what state of chemical and psychological disarray Brian was in.  He could call him and risk his wrath at being interrupted. None of those appealed to Justin. He waited, not knowing what to do.



A little after two Justin heard the elevator.  He picked up his sketchbook and began to scribble, not wanting Brian to think he had deliberately waited up for him.  The loft door slid back and Brian walked in. He didn't look drunk, but he was probably high on something else.



"Hey," Justin said.



"Hey."



"Where have you been?" Justin risked asking.



"Babylon."

"It's pretty late."



"Didn't know I had a curfew."  Brian went to the kitchen to get a bottle of water.



"You don't, but I've been wondering if you were all right.  I thought we were going to talk."



"Nothing to say."



"There's always something to say."



"Talking's not all it's cracked up to be.  There are other ways of dealing with things."



"Like the backroom at Babylon?"

"Yeah.  I needed to get my dick sucked."



Justin felt like Brian had slapped him.  "I'm sure that was a fine solution to your problems!" he retorted.



"Just fine!  In fact there were several new faces … and mouths.  I made use of all of them."



Justin grimaced.  "I bet you did!"



"You'd win the bet."



"Brian, why didn't you talk to me?"



"You were working, Sunshine!" Brian replied with disdain.



Justin decided not to take that bait.  He knew Brian was itching for a fight. He didn't want to go down that road right now.  "I'm here now, Brian. Talk to me."

"Too late.  I've had my fill of talking for today."



"What does that mean?"



"The office was all abuzz with stories about what happened to Jack.  I tried to set some of them straight, but they didn't really want to hear it.  Then Mary called."

"Who's Mary?" Justin asked.  He had got Brian started. Maybe he could get him to really talk about what was eating at him.



"Jack's wife … widow," he corrected.



"What did she want?"



Brian grimaced and made a strange noise from the back of his throat.  "She wants me to speak at the funeral, say some fucking thing about her dead husband and his work at Vangard."

"That's an honor, Brian."  Justin tried to be positive.



"Some fucking honor!  I didn't know the man.  I didn't know his fucking last name until he was dead!  And she wants me to say nice words about him, pretend that I knew him."



Now Justin was starting to get it.  Brian was feeling guilty that he had never bothered to get to know this man before he had died.  Justin reached up for Brian's hand and pulled him around the couch to sit beside him. "You're going to do it, aren't you?"



"No!"



"Did you tell Mary that you wouldn't speak?"



"I tried to, but she said Jack respected me and had enjoyed working with me.  She didn't want anybody else."



"So you said you'd so it?"



"Yes … but I can't!"  A sob escaped Brian's lungs.



Justin pulled him against his chest and whispered, "It'll be all right.  You can do this. Mary is depending on you. Don't worry, Brian. I'll help you."

"Will you come to the funeral with me?"



"Of course!  When is it?"



"Day after tomorrow."



"I'll talk to Jane and get the time off.  I'll be there with you."


"What am I going to say at the funeral?  I hardly knew him."

"What did you know about him?"



"I told you … nothing!  I didn't even know his goddamn last name."



"Forget that.  Was he a good worker?"



"Yes."



"Did he get assignments done on time?"

"Yes."



"Was he reliable?"



"Yes."



"Did he have a sense of humor?"



"Kind of."

"See, there's all of those things you can say about him.  Be honest and speak about how short a time you had known him, but that he was a good worker and maybe give some examples of things that he had done with you."

Brian looked up at Justin and some of the hurt seemed to have receded from his eyes.  "You are so smart. I need you!" Brian declared, his hand reaching for Justin's crotch.  Justin understood that sex was a big part of Brian's pain management. He let the hand squeeze and rub.  Brian could get him hard in a few seconds.



Brian leaned into him and kissed him urgently.  "I need you!" he breathed.



"Didn't get your cock sucked enough at Babylon?"



"Nobody's as good as you."

"Damn right!  Come to bed and I'll show you how it should be done."



He took Brian's hand and they went up to the bedroom where Justin proceeded to work his magic on Brian's dick.  He loved Brian's cock when it was hard and red and engorged. It filled his mouth almost beyond capacity, but he had learned to handle it.  He was determined to worship Brian's cock tonight and suck all of the pain and sorrow out of him. He bobbed between Brian's legs, using every trick and maneuver he had learned in his few years of training as the best homosexual he could be.  When Brian finally came in his mouth, he sucked every drop from the swollen cock and licked the head. He heard Brian sigh in contentment.



"Good?" he asked.



"Unparalleled!"



Justin chuckled.  That wasn't the response he had expected, but he liked it.  "I'll be there with you, Brian. You can count on me."



"I know," Brian whispered against his throat.  He began licking and sucking and Justin knew his ass was going to get quite a workout before the night was over.



                                                               -----



The day of the funeral Justin returned to the loft at lunch time.  He had worked in the morning, but had taken the afternoon off to go to the funeral with Brian.  He wasn't looking forward to this, but then, who looked forward to a funeral? He arrived at the loft before Brian did.  Brian said Vance had told the whole company to take the afternoon to go to the funeral. Justin made them a salad for lunch.



When Brian arrived a while later, he had everything on the table.  They sat down to eat. Brian picked at his food.



"Have you decided what you're going to say?" Justin asked him.



"Sort of."

"You'll do fine," Justin reassured him.



Soon they had to get ready.  Brian changed to a different suit and Justin donned his slacks and blazer.  They left in lots of time.



When they walked into the funeral home, there was a line-up of people heading towards the casket.  They got in line too. As they neared the front, Justin gave Brian's hand a squeeze of encouragement.



"Brian," a man said.



"Simon," Brian replied.  "This is Justin, my partner."



"Oh?" Simon said, obviously surprised by the meaning of Brian's introduction.  He shook Justin's hand and introduced Sally, Mary's sister, who Brian had met fleetingly at the house.  They moved down the line to Mary who seemed to be holding it all together.



"Brian," she said, doing her best to smile.



Brian again introduced Justin and Mary shook his hand.  "Where's Emily?" Brian asked.



"In the family waiting room," Mary said, nodding her head towards an open door where an older couple sat with the little girl between them.  "That's Jack's parents. They arrived yesterday from Arizona."



"Are you holding up?" Brian asked.



Mary smiled at him again.  "I think I'll be all right.  Thank you for agreeing to speak today.  I didn't know anyone else from the company."



Brian nodded and moved away for the next person in line to take his place.  He stopped for a look in the casket and shook his head. Justin slipped his hand into Brian's and they moved out into the chapel of the funeral home.  Cynthia was sitting in the second row and they slid in beside her. She looked tired and sad.



"I wish we weren't doing this," she whispered.



"Me too," Brian replied.



Soon the service began.  A minister from the church that Jack and Mary attended said his piece.  Apparently they attended church, but hadn't yet had time to really become part of that community.  Next Mary's sister, Sally, said a few words about Jack and his family. He and Mary had been married for five years and had only bought the house in Pittsburgh two months ago when Jack seemed secure in his new job with Vangard.  She mentioned Jack's parents and Emily. He apparently had no brothers or sisters. She then thanked Cynthia for administering CPR after Jack's attack. Brian squeezed Cynthia's arm as he saw tears welling up.



"I wish it had done some good," she whispered.



Sally then said that Mary had asked her to make special mention of Brian Kinney who had stayed with her and been so helpful right after Jack's heart attack.  She then invited Brian to say a few words on behalf of Vangard.



Brian stood up and Justin squeezed his wrist as he stepped out of their row.  Brian walked to the front of the chapel and raised the height of the microphone.  He cleared his throat and began.



"I didn't know Jack Simpson very long or very well.  We have worked together since shortly after Gardner Vance took over the company.  I wish I had gotten to know him better, but then I'm not the friendliest person you'll ever meet."



There were a few chuckles from the strong contingent of Vangard people who were assembled there.



"I have met Mary and Emily since Jack died, and I'm sorry to see that their little family will be without its father and husband.  Jack was a good worker, always reliable and conscientious. I can't think of one thing that I asked him to do that he didn't complete promptly and efficiently.  Well, actually there was one thing he didn't do. One day when everything was going horribly wrong, I told him to go take a long walk off a short pier. He told me if I could give him directions to a suitable short pier, he'd be only too happy to do so, and he'd be even happier if I came with him."



There were more chuckles from the Vangard people.



"Obviously neither one of us took that walk, but we did have a laugh about it.  Every now and then he'd ask me if I had found that pier yet. On behalf of the people of Vangard I would like to express my condolences to Mary and Emily and Jack's parents."



Brian returned to his seat next to Justin.  "You did good," Justin whispered.



Brian smiled at him.  "I just did what you told me."

Another prayer and a hymn and the funeral was over.  Jack was to be cremated and they wheeled the casket away.  Everyone was invited for light refreshments in the lower level of the funeral home.  Brian, Cynthia and Justin made their way down. Several people, including Gardner Vance, stopped Brian and told him what a nice job he had done with his speech.



There was another little reception line.  Brian approached Mary who held Emily's hand.



"Mary," he said, "I wanted you to meet Cynthia.  She's the one who tried to help Jack."



"Oh yes," Mary replied, "I wanted to thank you personally.  Brian told me what you tried to do."



"I'm sorry the results weren't better," Cynthia said.



"Emily, do you remember Brian?" Mary asked her daughter.



"Yes," Emily said and smiled at Brian.



"She's a bit overwhelmed with so many strange faces," Mary said.



Brian squatted down and said, "Hi, Emily."



"Hi," she replied, and wrapped her arms around his neck.  He stood up picking her up with him. She laid her head on his shoulder.



"You're recruiting them awfully young for your fan club," Justin whispered as Brian handed Emily back to her mother.



Brian smiled.  Justin was glad to see that.  He hoped Brian would start to feel better once the funeral was over.  They made small talk with Cynthia, and Brian introduced Justin to some of his co-workers at Vangard.  Soon it was time to leave. They waved to Mary and Emily and took off.



Once in the Jeep Brian let out a long breath.  "I hope I never have to do that again," he sighed.



"You did just fine," Justin told him and gave him a kiss.  "Let's go back to the loft and have a little afternoon delight."



"I like your thinking, young man.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate being alive."

Chapter 5 - Death and Life by Thyme

 

Death and Life

The week after the funeral Brian was very quiet.  Justin wasn't sure what he could do about it, but he didn't like the remoteness.  After the funeral they had gone back to the loft and Brian had fucked him senseless.  They had spent the rest of the day in bed, getting up only long enough to have take-out.  Justin had hoped that Brian was fucking out any remaining worries and misgivings he had about how he had treated Jack.  He had complimented Brian on his speech at the funeral and so had many other people. Yet Brian seemed restless and unsettled.



Justin decided that they were going to have to talk about it.  He didn't like the way Brian was closed off from him. There was something else that was at work and he had to find out what it was.



He was making a special dinner for them when Brian arrived home from work.  His plan was to ply Brian with food and wine, soften him up and then get him to talk about whatever was bothering him.



They ate mostly in silence.  Brian said he liked the food, but he had much more wine than chicken.  Justin cleared the dishes and then asked Brian to bring his wine over to the couch.



"You need to talk to me," he stated.



"About what?" Brian asked.



"Whatever's eating at you."



"What makes you think something's eating at me?"



"Oh, little things, like how quiet you've been, how you answer me in monosyllables, how many times you fuck me every night."



"How many times I fuck you?"



"Quite often the number is proportional to how worried or depressed you are."



"You're kidding?"



"No, I'm not."



Brian shook his head.  What a way to let his true emotions be revealed!  "So you think your sore ass means that something is wrong?"



Justin nodded.  "I'm sure of it, especially since this has been going on ever since the funeral."

Brian stared at him.  Most of the time he was glad that Justin was in tune with his moods and the vagaries of his emotions, but sometimes he didn't want to discuss things and this was one of them.  "I don't want to talk about it," he stated firmly.



"So there is an 'it'."



"Yes," Brian sighed, "but I don't want to do this."

"Why not?  We agreed to be honest with each other.  I know something's wrong. Maybe I can help."



"You can't help.  No one can help!"



"Brian?"



"Fuck!  I always thought Deb was the bulldog, but she has nothing on you!"



"So tell me, and save us both this aggravation."



"Do you know how old Jack was?"



"Jack, the guy who died?  No."



"Thirty.  He was younger than me."



"So?"



"So why him and not me?  He was a family man, went to church, lived a clean life.  I screw around, do drugs and alcohol. Why not me?"

"I can't answer that, Brian.  No one can. It's just something that happens."

"But it's not fair.  That poor little girl!"  


"Since when do you believe in the fairness of the world?"

"I don't."

"Then why are you worrying about why Jack died and not you?"

"I just am.  It's not right that he's dead."

"No, it's not right, but it is beyond even your control.  Worrying about it isn't going to help Mary and Emily, and it's going to make you sick."



"I can't help it."



"You can, but you have to want to."



"You are so smart sometimes…," Brian said.



Justin thought for a split second that he had gotten through to his lover and somehow made him realize the folly of dwelling on Jack's death.



"But this isn't one of them!  You don't know shit about this!  You're just a fucking babe in arms.  Wait till your contemporaries start to die and see how you feel!"



"Brian…?" Justin began, but he didn't know what else to say.  It had been quite a while since Brian had attacked him like that.



"I told you that I didn't want to talk about this, but you couldn't let it rest.  I hope you're happy now! We can both be miserable."



Brian grabbed his keys and slammed out of the loft.  He heard Justin call his name, but he ignored it. He needed to be alone, to think.



Justin watched Brian storm out and shook his head in disbelief.  He thought they had gotten beyond that behavior, but apparently not.  He debated running after Brian, but he knew that it would probably make matters worse when Brian was in this frame of mind.

He would be itching for a fight, and that was the last thing Justin wanted right now.



                                                               -----



Brian went down to the Jeep.  He peeled away from the loft wanting to put some distance between himself and Justin.  Sometimes Justin just didn't get it. He still believed that the world could be fixed. There were some things that could not be fixed.  All that shit about talking. He'd had it up to here with talking.



He drove for awhile, not paying attention to where he was or where he was going.  Suddenly he stopped at a red light and looked around. He realized that he was very near the house where Mary and Jack lived … had lived.  He wondered if that was an omen telling him what to do. He knew he had not consciously chosen this destination, but maybe something was telling him he needed to go there.



He rounded the corner that would take him into the subdivision where the house was.  He turned onto their street wondering what the fuck he was doing there. As he approached the house, he saw a few lights on and a for sale sign on the front lawn.  He stopped the Jeep in front of the house.



"Now what?" he asked himself.



He sat staring at the house for a few minutes, unsure if he should get out or just drive away.



Suddenly the front door opened, and Mary called, "Brian!"



He looked up at her and she motioned for him to come in.  Fate had decided for him. He got slowly out of the car and walked up to her.  She waited at the front door for him to get there.



"Brian," she said with a smile, "I'm so glad to see you again."

"Thanks," he replied.



"Can you come in for a few minutes?"



"I…I guess so."



"Good."

She got them seated on the sofa and offered Brian some coffee.  She said she had just made a pot for herself. He accepted, buying some time to figure out what he wanted to say to her.



She returned with two mugs of coffee and he loaded his with sugar.  He saw her grinning at him. "Did I do something wrong?" he asked, not understanding the look.



"Not at all!  My grandmother used to say that people who took a lot of sugar in their tea or coffee were replenishing all the sweetness they gave to the world."



Brian snorted.  "She obviously didn't know anyone like me."



"Why do you say that?"



"I'm probably the least sweet person you will ever meet."

"That is not true.  You were very sweet to me that horrible day.  I couldn't have got through it without you, and you said some sweet things about Jack at the funeral."

Brian looked at her, not responding.  He was thinking about how many times Justin told him he was sweet, maybe not as many times as there should be, but Brian always told him to keep that a secret so as not to ruin his reputation as a heartless asshole.  Here was a complete stranger telling him the same thing. He shook his head.



"You don't believe me?" she asked.



"That's certainly not my reputation."

"Sometimes reputations can be deceiving.  Jack used to tell me how you brooked no nonsense or stupidity at work.  He said you could cut the legs out from under some idiot in a second. He said sometimes you were rather … cruel, but he respected your intelligence and understood why you were annoyed."



"He did?"



"Yes, and he told me that you never spoke to him that way."



"He was always on top of things, never shirked his responsibilities."



"He thought a lot of you.  He often said he hoped he could be as good an exec as you were," Mary said with a little catch in her voice.  They both knew that Jack would never get to make that advancement in his career.



Brian decided they needed to turn the conversation away from him.  That wasn't why he was there. Trouble was he didn't know why he had come there.  "How are you doing?" he asked softly.



"About as well as can be expected," she replied with a sigh.



"I saw the for sale sign on the lawn."



"I decided to sell the house and go back to Cleveland.  My sister and her husband are there. We lived there before Jack got the job with Vangard.  I have friends there, and I'll start looking for a job. My sister has two kids, one Emily's age and one a little older.  She'll be able to baby-sit Emily when I go back to work."



"Are you all right financially?  I hope you don't mind me asking."



"Jack had a healthy life insurance policy through Vangard.  We lived pretty frugally, so I don't have much debt to take care of, just the house."

"That's good.  How's Emily doing?"



"She doesn't really understand what's happened.  Every once in a while she asks me where Daddy is and it just about breaks my heart.  I've told her he's in Heaven, but that doesn't mean much to her. She knows he should be here with us and he isn't."

"It must be hard."



"It is, but they always say it gets easier with time.  That's what I'm hoping."



"Did you know that I'm a bit older than Jack was?" Brian asked suddenly.



"No, I didn't, but I thought you were about the same age."



"I have a son about the same age as Emily."  He didn't know why he was telling her this, but he felt he needed to.



"I thought you were gay?"



"I am."  He shook his head.  "It always confuses people.  I was a sperm donor for a friend of mine.  Gus, my son, lives with his mother and her partner."

"Oh?" Mary said.  "You're lucky to have a son.  Emily was the apple of her Daddy's eye."



"I think that's why I came here tonight … because of Gus."



"Why?"



"I keep thinking about how Emily has no father and wondering why it was Jack.  It could just as easily have been me. Then Gus would have grown up never really knowing his father."



"I'll make sure Emily knows about her father.  I don't know what the future holds, but maybe I'll remarry and find a fine man like you to be Emily's stepfather.  I'll never let her forget Jack though."



Brian listened to all this.  She thought he was a fine man, that someone like him would make a good father to Emily.  He wished that were true.



"Brian," she said softly, "it wasn't your fault.  No one could predict or prevent what happened. The best thing we can do is go on and live the best lives we can."



"I guess that's true."  He stared at her for a moment.  "I better get going," he said standing.



She walked him to the door.  He turned back to say goodbye, and she hugged him tightly for several seconds.  "Thanks for everything, Brian. Don't worry about us and don't feel guilty that it was Jack instead of you.  Have a good, happy life," she whispered in his ear.



"You too," he replied and walked out the door.



                                                              -----



Justin threw down his sketchbook.  He had drawn for a long time and his hand was starting to cramp.  He had watched TV, listened to CD's and then drawn two useless sketches since Brian had left the loft.  The man had been gone for over three hours.



Justin sighed.  Sometimes this relationship shit was for the birds.  He had tried his best to help Brian, to communicate, and all that had got him was yelled at and left sitting in Brian's dust.



"Fuck this!" he muttered.



He went up to the bedroom and debated getting dressed and going to Babylon.  He thought he would probably find Brian there, in the backroom, of course.



Why did life have to be such shit?  Why couldn't they have a month of happiness instead of a day here and there?  It was so tiring all the time to try to figure out what was going on with Brian and why he did the self-destructive things he did.  And then Brian would refuse to talk about it like tonight. All of his best intentions about not letting Brian get away with non-communication, about having an open and honest relationship, went down the toilet when Brian got like this.  It was out of his hands. Brian had all the control, like he always did, like he demanded.



Justin threw himself down on the bed.  What more could he do? He needed to talk to someone with a sympathetic ear.  He reached for the phone and hit a number.



"Please be there," he whispered.



"Hello?"

"Hi, Daph," he said cheerfully.



"What did he do this time?" she asked.



"What makes you think he did anything?"



"When you call me after eleven, that means you're not fucking, so something is wrong, which means Brian has done something.  Am I right?"



"Yes," he said reluctantly.



"So spill!"



"Brian stormed out of here hours ago.  We had a fight and he hasn't come back."

"What was the fight about?"



"That's the weird part.  I'm not exactly sure."

"What do you mean?"

"It's kind of a long story.  Do you have time?"

"What else does a gorgeous young thing like me have to do but sit around and listen to your relationship problems when I have no relationship of my own?"



"What happened to Kurt?"

"Gone.  We weren't right for each other."



"I'm sorry."



"I'm not.  He was a jerk, the more I got to know him."

"That's too bad."



"Enough about Kurt.  Tell me what happened with Brian."



Justin proceeded to tell her about Jack and the funeral and how withdrawn Brian had become.  He told her about trying to get Brian to talk and how he had yelled at him before he left. When he was done, he expected Daphne to shower him with sympathy.



"So what did you expect?" Daphne asked.



"What do you mean?"



"A funeral can be a major life issue.  You said the man died right in front of Brian and he was about the same age.  That's like seeing yourself die, facing your own mortality. Most people face it when their last parent dies, but Brian is doing that now."



"Is this your best Psych 101 opinion?" Justin asked sarcastically.



"I'll have you know that I'm doing second and third year psych courses now!" she declared.  "I don't appreciate you belittling my opinions. I thought you wanted my help."

"I do.  I'm sorry," he conceded.



"Well, cut him some slack.  He's going through something really serious."



"Okay, okay!" Justin gave in.  "But he won't talk to me. Just like he always does, he walked out."



"Justin, I don't want to be mean, but sometimes you don't know when to give it a rest.  You want to fix everything, even when it can't be fixed. You may need to back off and let Brian work through this himself."



"Christ, that's what Brian told me.  You think this is my fault?" Justin couldn't believe his ears.



"I didn't say that.  It's not anyone's fault.  I'm just telling you that Brian has to work through it and there's nothing you can say that will make it better.  He has to come to terms with it himself."

"So what should I do?"


"Be there and let him know that you love him.  Tell him that you're ready to listen when he wants to talk, but don't bug him about it."



"But he's so quiet and … sad.  I hate it."



"Those may be his feelings, so let him feel them.  It's about him, not you."

"Shit, Daph!  I've been going about this all wrong."



"No, you haven't.  You were right to try to get him to talk, but if he doesn't want to, then let him be."



"How long do you think this will go on?"



"I have no idea.  It'll go on until he's ready to come out of his funk."

"I don't know if I can stand it."

"You wanted this relationship.  Are you prepared to stand by him through this?"

"I'll try."

"Good."

"Thanks, I think."



"What do you mean, you think?  I'm giving you excellent advice here."

"It isn't what I expected or wanted to hear."



"Tough!  It's what you need to hear."



"I know you're right.  I hope I can do it, that's all."

"You can do it.  Be patient."

"Thanks, Daph."


Justin hung up.  She had given him a lot to think about.  He knew she was right about most of what she had told him.  He always thought he was the mature one in this relationship, but sometimes that sure wasn't much fun.



                                                              -----



Brian had driven around for a long time after speaking with Mary.  He couldn't quite decide what to do. He had thought about going to Woody's or Babylon.  Getting his dick sucked in the backroom wouldn't be a bad thing. The only trouble was he didn't really want to do that.  Mary had given him a taste of hope, a feeling that he wasn't a useless dickhead, a tiny sliver of belief in himself and his life.  Maybe he was supposed to live. Maybe he wasn't such a bad worthless person. Justin loved him.



"Shit!"  He had treated Justin like crap, and all the boy had done was try to talk to him.  What was the matter with him? Why did he feel like shit all the time?



He should go home and try to set things straight, but he couldn't.  So many things the last few days seemed to be beyond his ability.



He noticed a bar as he drove down the street.  A drink was what he needed. He slid the Jeep into the first parking spot he saw and walked back to the bar.  It was kind of a seedy, rundown place, but liquor was liquor, and that was what he wanted.



He ordered a double Beam and downed it in a couple of gulps.  The bartender refilled his glass immediately. This would be easy.  He took it a little slower with this glass. The bartender seemed to be studying him.



"You okay, buddy?" he asked Brian.



"Peachy!" Brian replied.



The bartender chuckled.  "Tossing them back pretty fast, aren't you?"



"What do you care, as long as I pay for them?"

"No skin off my nose!  I just wondered if you wanted to talk."

"That's why I'm here, to avoid talking."

"Oh, the little woman busting your balls about something?"



"Something like that."



"They're all the same.  Want to tell you what to do and how to do it."



Brian looked at him.  He really didn't want to be having this conversation.  This idiot thought he was straight and wanted to commiserate about nagging wives.  How did he get himself into these things?



"I should go home," Brian said standing up and tossing some money on the bar.



"Good luck," the barkeep called after him.



He walked back to the Jeep and sat behind the wheel.  He didn't know what to do or where to go. He wanted to go home and have Justin hold him and tell him he loved him, but he had been so miserable to him.  He thought they would probably just fight as soon as he opened his mouth. Justin would be pissed that he had walked out on him again.



Why did he keep making the same mistakes over and over again?  When would he ever get it right?



He leaned his forehead on the steering wheel.  After a few minutes he saw a tear drop onto his jeans and he realized that he was crying.  What was wrong with him? He needed to go home. He needed Justin. He'd try not to fight. He wanted to hold his boy and kiss him and make love with him and celebrate that they were both alive.



He turned the key in the ignition and pointed the Jeep toward the loft.



                                                               -----



Justin had laid on the bed for a long time after he talked to Daphne.  He thought about what she had said to him. He saw the truth in her words.  Brian had made real strides in talking to him about almost everything. He knew how hard that was for him.  He should be grateful that the man had made the effort, but he was never satisfied. He had pushed too hard once again.



He sighed and started removing his clothes.  He crawled under the sheets and lay staring up at the ceiling.  He heard the steel door slide shut and knew Brian had come back.  He didn't hear any further noise, so that meant Brian didn't have a trick with him and he wasn't drunk or wasted enough to be bumping into things.



The refrigerator door opened and shut.  He saw the light through the frosted glass panels.  He waited.



Brian came up the steps drinking his water.  "Are you asleep?" he asked, clearly able to see that Justin was looking at him.



"No."



Brian began removing his clothes and Justin watched him in silence.  Brian slipped under the covers and lay looking at the ceiling, just like Justin had been doing.  Justin wanted to ask him where he had been, but he bit his tongue and waited. He had vowed to himself that he wouldn't push.  He didn't want a fight.



"Aren't you going to start with the questions?" Brian asked with a sigh.



Justin shook his head.



"How come?" Brian asked.



"I think I've bugged you enough for one night."

"You do?"



Justin nodded again.



"I'm sorry I walked out on you again."



Justin waited.  He didn't say anything.



"I try not to do that, but I needed to be alone.  I couldn't talk about it any more."



"I understand," Justin conceded.



"You do?"



Justin nodded.



"How come you're not reaming me out?"

"I don't want to.  I love you."

Justin found himself crushed to Brian's chest.  The man's strong arms had wrapped around him and Brian's face was buried in his neck.  He could feel silent sobs escaping Brian's body, so he just held on and waited for them to pass.



After a few minutes he felt Brian quiet and lessen his grip on him.  Brian ran his hand along Justin's back and then his mouth covered his lover's, kissing him gently and longingly.



Justin felt Brian wipe his eyes.  The man sighed, but still held him close.



"Are you all right?" Justin had to ask.



"I think so.  I'm better than when I left here."

"Where did you go?"



"I drove around for a long time.  Then I found myself at Mary's."

"Mary's?"  Justin was surprised.  He was sure Brian would have resorted to his usual tactics, drinking and fucking.



"I needed to see how they were doing."

"Are they all right?"



"As all right as anyone can be in the circumstances."

"That's good."

"She told me that the best thing any of us could do for Jack was to have a good, happy life."



"She did?"



Brian nodded.  "She's a lovely lady.  She said she'd never let Emily forget her daddy."


"That's good."

"Would you forget me if I died?"



"Oh Brian, of course not.  And I wouldn't let Gus forget you either.  None of us would."



"Good."



Justin ran his hand over Brian's back, trying to comfort him and let him know that everything would be all right.



"How come you're being so nice to me?  I thought you'd yell at me for leaving.  I deserve it."



"No you don't.  I talked to Daph and she set me straight."

"Daphne?  What did she say?"

"She's taking all these psych courses, so she knows everything!"  He made a face and got a little chuckle out of Brian. "She said I should cut you some slack, that you had some things to work through.  She said you were facing your own mortality."



"Is that right?"  Brian looked thoughtful.  "I think maybe that's true," he said finally, "only I couldn't have told you that was what I was doing.  I was just depressed and sad."

"She said you'd have to work it through yourself and I should back off."



"I knew I liked that girl!"



"Are you feeling better?"



"Some.  I discovered tonight, after I talked to Mary, that the only place I wanted to be was right here, holding you in my arms."



"I'll always be here for you.  Never doubt that."

"I'm sorry I make it hard for you sometimes."



"That's the way it goes.  I've made life difficult for you lots of times."



"You think?" Brian asked tongue in cheek.



Justin swatted him playfully.  That Brian was joking even a little bit was a promising sign.  "Are you going to fuck me?" Justin asked.



"Want me to?"



"Always."



Brian squeezed Justin tighter to his body and started kissing him everywhere.  Justin returned the favor until they were both gasping and hard and ready.



"I love you," Justin whispered.



"I love you too."



"Show me."



Brian grabbed a condom and the lube.  He tenderly opened Justin up and prepared him for his cock.  Justin thought about telling him to hurry up, but he sensed that Brian needed to do this slowly, cherishing each moment.  Once Brian was inside he rode him hard and their orgasms ripped through them at the end.



Brian pulled the sheet back over them and cradled Justin against his body.  He sighed in satisfaction. They were so good together.



"Tired?" Justin asked.



"Umm," Brian replied sleepily.



"I guess my quota of sex is going to be way down now that you're feeling better," Justin teased.



"I wouldn't be too sure," Brian replied, giving Justin's cock a tug and feeling it swell under his fingers.



"Oh?" Justin asked.



"I plan to live life to the fullest and enjoy every minute, starting now!"



Justin knew his ass was going to be plenty busy after all.

Chapter 6 - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner by Thyme

 

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Brian leaned back in his chair in his office.  He had a meeting in fifteen minutes. He had thought he had a lot of meetings before, but since he made partner, the fucking meetings had increased threefold.  He had so much more to do that he barely had time for his old clients. He liked designing new campaigns, and having less and less time to do that bothered him.  He still wanted control over his accounts, even though he had learned to delegate, somewhat. He did have good people working under him, Cynthia and Kevin especially.



He needed to hire someone to replace Jack, but he had been putting that off.  He hated the idea of Jack being dead, and replacing him meant that he was well and truly gone, forever.  Jack's death had shaken him. He had been sad and depressed for days. Finally, after he had talked to Jack's wife and she had given him some good advice and a smidgen of her positive attitude, he had started to feel more like himself.



"Brian, you have a call on line two," Cynthia's voice interrupted his musings.



"Who is it?"



"Trip Bedford."



"Fuck!"



"I could tell him you just stepped out," she offered.



Brian was tempted to let her do that.  "I'll take it," he replied sucking in a deep breath.



"Trip?" Bran said, as he connected with this man who was so tantalizing to him.



"Hey, Brian!" Trip said enthusiastically.  "Haven't talked to you in ages."

"Not since that ill-fated kiss," Brian thought.  "How are you and your father?" he asked aloud, trying to keep the conversation aloof and businesslike.



"Kicking along like we always do.  I'm coming to Pittsburgh in a couple of days to see what you've done with the new chair campaign.  Hoped we could get together."



"We're a little behind with the campaign.  One of my assistants died suddenly a couple of weeks ago."



"No shit!  That's too bad."



"Yeah, he was a nice guy and a good worker.  Anyway, we're a little behind," Brian said, hoping this news would keep Trip away for a while longer.



"Do you have anything to show me?  I have to come to Pittsburgh anyway on some other business.  I just thought I'd check in with you."



"We have some rough ideas, but nothing polished."



"That'll be fine.  I want to get a feel of where we're going with this."



"Sure," Brian replied with his usual non-committal word.



"Great!  I'll see you Friday."



"Sure."

Now he had another thing to worry about.  He would have to tell Justin that Trip was coming.  Keeping that bombshell to himself would just be asking for trouble.  Fuck, life was never easy.



He gathered up his latest papers for the meeting that would be starting momentarily.  He hoped this meeting didn't kill anyone like the meeting that had finished off Jack. Although, it would make life a lot simpler if it offed him.  He shook his head. Only problem he wouldn't have a life if that happened, and he wouldn't have Justin. He left his office hoping this meeting didn't give him too colossal a headache.



                                                                -----



Justin was late getting home from the gallery, so they had take-out.  They had eaten mostly in silence with Justin trying to start a conversation now and then, but Brian refusing to be drawn in.



"What's going on, Brian?" Justin had to ask as they cleared away their dishes and the remnants of their food.



"I have something to tell you."

"Oh?"  Justin tried to be nonchalant.  When Brian said he had something to tell him, it usually meant something bad, at the very least something he wouldn't like.



"Trip Bedford is coming to town on Friday."

"Oh?"



"I'll have to meet with him and probably entertain him."



"Can you handle it?"



"Of course I can, you little twat!  Can you?" Brian challenged, really asking if Justin was going to be jealous and make his life a misery until Trip left town.



"I'm fine.  You've told me that you won't let anything happen between you two, and I believe you."



"Good!"



"Why are you telling me this anyway?"

"I don't want any secrets between us.  I want you to know that I'm seeing Trip.  I don't want it to be like I'm doing something behind your back," Brian said seriously.


Justin smiled at him, that wonderful smile that warmed his heart and spread through his body.  It also went straight to his cock.



He shifted around trying to ease the pinch of his jeans.  He had something else to broach with the young man before he fucked his brains out.  "I was wondering what you thought about inviting Trip here for dinner Friday night."



"What?  Are you serious?"  Justin couldn't believe his ears.



"Yes, I am.  Trip wanted to meet you in New York, remember.  His father was gracious enough to ask me to stay in their home when I was in Indianapolis, so I'd kind of like to return the favor."



"You don't want him to sleep over too, do you?" Justin asked sarcastically.



"Hmm, there's a thought," Brian joked.  The look on Justin's face told him to drop that idea, even as a joke.  "I'm kidding!"



"You fucking better be!" Justin retorted with no good humor whatsoever.



Brian decided to be serious.  "I thought if Trip saw us together, how we are, he'd realize that there is no hope and truly back off."



"Did something else happen that you haven't told me about?"



"No, just that kiss, but both of us know that we are attracted to each other.  I just want him to see that I'm with you."



Justin stared at him, apparently sizing up the situation and gauging the truth of Brian's words.  There was no sunshine smile when he said, "Dinner it is!"



"You mean it?"



"I said it, didn't I?"



"I think it will be for the best," Brian said, moving closer and hugging Justin.  His hand found Justin's crotch and squeezed. "I want you," he whispered in the boy's ear.



"Later," Justin replied.  "I have to decide what the fuck to serve this man I've never met who wants to go to bed with my lover.  How about chicken penne spiced with a little arsenic?"



"Justin!"


"To quote you, 'I'm kidding'."



"Good.  You had me worried there for a minute.  Come to bed, please," Brian asked, trying to pout the way Justin did sometimes.



Justin burst out laughing at the look, but it was the 'please' that really got him.  "My work is never done," Justin said with an exaggerated sigh.



"What do you mean?"



"Now I have to fuck Trip Bedford out of your head once again.  You really are high maintenance, you know," he joked.



"But I'm worth it!"



"You certainly are!"



Justin wrapped himself around Brian's body, as only he could.  He pressed all the places that Brian loved, and kissed the man deeply.  He felt Brian's stiff cock jump against his thigh and he knew he had him where he wanted him, filled with desire for only him.



Justin dropped to his knees and began unbuttoning Brian's jeans.  He pushed them down and saw Brian's cock tent out his jock. He smiled up at Brian whose eyes were cloudy with lust.  He released the throbbing dick from its confinement. His tongue licked the slit tasting the first bit of precum. He heard Brian groan in satisfaction.  His lips encircled the cap, sucking and pulling slightly. He felt Brian push forward into his mouth wanting him to take more. He was happy to oblige. He sucked Brian's long, thick cock down his throat and buried his face in the man's pubes.  He breathed deeply absorbing the smell of his lover. He snorted into the soft hair and felt Brian shiver. His lips began their work, up and down the shaft, his head bobbing in front of Brian. Sometimes he wondered why Brian liked his blowjobs so much.  The man must have had thousands of them, most of them from men much more experienced than he was. He twisted his head around and back as his lips continued to move up and down the shaft. His hand cupped Brian's balls and squeezed gently.



Brian moaned.  Of all the thousands of blowjobs that he had had, none could match Justin's.  His mouth was so soft and his lips were so full and yet firm. He knew all the things that drove Brian crazy.  He had gradually built his arsenal from months of practice, but he had been good, oh so good, right from the first time.  Brian felt Justin squeeze his sac and almost came. He fought it, not wanting it to be over yet. The other thing that Justin did was to fuck him with such guilelessness.  Justin had learned all the tricks, but his blowjobs were never calculated, no two ever the same. There was always something unexpected or new and Brian loved that. Justin was ever the creative genius.



Suddenly Justin stopped and stood up.  Brian snapped back from the edge of his orgasm and looked at the young man.  "What?" he asked.



Justin's hand sought Brian's dick and stroked.  His lips locked onto Brian's. Brian opened his mouth to give Justin access.  As he pressed in, Brian could taste himself on Justin's tongue. He moaned into Justin's mouth.  The boy dropped down to his knees and sucked his rod with increased vigor. Brian felt Justin grasp his balls and give a strong tug on the tip of his cock.  His balls rose up and as Justin deep throated him again, he felt his orgasm build and explode into the boy's mouth. He came and came and came. Justin swallowed it all, milking him dry.



"Jesus, Justin, you leave me weak in the knees," Brian managed to whisper, clinging to his young lover for support.



"Come to bed, old man!  We have much more to do."



Brian allowed himself to be led up to the bedroom, knowing his pleasure had just begun.



                                                               -----



Friday morning Justin made sure Brian received another excellent sexual adventure in the shower before he allowed his man to go off to work and spend the day with one Trip Bedford.  He was taking all the precautions he could to make sure that Brian appreciated what they had and what he wouldn't get from Trip.



Brian was a little worried about facing Trip.  They had not spoken since the kiss in Indianapolis.  Brian wasn't sure how things stood. He had told Trip to leave after the kiss and the next morning Trip had sent notice that he was too hung over to come down to breakfast.  Brian had left the city without a face to face meeting with the man. Trip had sounded fine on the phone, his usual cheerful self. Maybe he had been able to put the whole thing out of his mind.  Brian had tried his best to do the same, and mostly he had forgotten about it until Trip's phone call.



"Morning, Boss," Cynthia greeted him as he arrived at the office.



Brian grinned at her.



"Somebody's been having a good day already," she said with a smirk.



"Fabulous!"



Cynthia chuckled.  Brian was so transparent sometimes, usually in things to do with Justin.  That kid sure knew how to make her boss happy. Cynthia's face sobered. "He'll be here at one.  Do you want to take him to lunch?"

They both knew who she was talking about.  Brian let out a breath. He wouldn't have to deal with Trip till this afternoon.  "He's meeting one of his suppliers this morning. There was an e-mail when I got here this morning."  Cynthia always knew how to answer his questions, often like now, before he even asked them.



Brian had a lot of work to do and the morning actually flew by with only a few thoughts about Trip's impending appearance.  Cynthia buzzed him just before one and he knew the man had arrived. Brian walked out of his office to greet Trip in the reception area.  He thought that would be better then meeting him alone in his office. He wanted to get the lay of the land on more neutral turf. Cynthia had made reservations for them at the restaurant across the street.



"Trip," Brian said extending his hand.  He hoped he wouldn't, but he still felt that electric attraction as soon as their hands touched.



"Brian," Trip replied, a little catch in his voice, but the warmth very obvious.



"Are you hungry?"



"As a horse."



"And hung like one too, I bet," Brian thought.  He quickly pushed that unwanted thought away. Brian cleared his throat.  "Cynthia made us reservations for the restaurant across the street. I can fill you in on what we're doing with your chair while we eat."



Brian led them to the elevator and down to the street.  They crossed the road and went into the restaurant. Trip ordered a martini and Brian decided to join him.  Gin wasn't his favorite drink but all liquor did pretty much the same thing. A few sips of the drink gave him the courage to say, "Justin and I would like you to come to dinner at our home tonight."



Trip gave Brian a look, like he couldn't believe what he was hearing, but without his eyes getting too wide.  "That's very nice of you, but not necessary."

"Yes, it is necessary," Brian responded.  "You wanted to meet Justin in New York and we missed you.  I'd like to thank you for having me stay at your home in Indianapolis.  So just come. Besides Justin is an excellent cook."



"He cooks too?" Trip asked a grin on his face.



Brian felt himself blushing and quickly downed the rest of his martini.  Trip signaled the waiter for two more.



"We could have salad for lunch and save some space for Justin's dinner," Brian suggested.



"Fine by me."


They talked a bit about the chair campaign, ate their salads at a leisurely pace and ordered coffee for dessert.



Over the coffee, Trip asked, "Are you sure you want me to come tonight?"



"Why would I ask you if I didn't want you … there?" Brian added, hoping Trip didn't hear that hesitation and all it implied.



"I don't know.  It might be a little awkward."

"Why?"

"We do have an attraction to each other," Trip said simply.  "We did kiss."

"I told you that the kiss should never have happened.  We were drunk. I've told Justin about it and you don't need to worry that he's going to poison your food."  Brian was immediately sorry he had said that, remembering Justin's crack about penne with arsenic. He prayed they weren't having penne for dinner.



"I didn't think about poison," Trip laughed.  "Does Justin want this dinner?"

"I suggested it, but he agreed."

"Okay then, I'll be there.  I need to go to my hotel and make some calls.  I have some loose ends to tie up. The promos for the new chair sound like what we're looking for, so go ahead with it.  I'll see the finished product the next time I'm in Pittsburgh."



Brian signed for lunch and they walked out to the street.  Trip flagged a cab, promising to be at the address Brian had given him by seven.



"I hope this isn't a bad idea," Brian muttered to himself as he crossed the street to go back to his office.



                                                                -----



Brian arrived at the loft at six-thirty.  He had scrambled around to finish some things and get home before Trip got there.  The last thing he wanted was Trip and Justin alone together. He shuddered at the thought.



When Brian shoved the door back, he could see Justin sitting on the couch apparently drawing.



"Shouldn't you be cooking?" he asked.



"Hello to you too!" Justin retorted.



Brian dropped his briefcase at the desk.  Now that he was in the loft he could smell something quite mouthwatering emanating from the oven.  "Can I help you do anything?" Brian asked.



Justin looked up from his sketch.  "You really are worried about this dinner, aren't you?"



"Why do you say that?" Brian asked as nonchalantly as he could.



"You offering to help in the kitchen means either you're worried or else it's the first sign of the Apocalypse."



Brian snorted.  He hoped he wasn't as obvious as Justin had let on.



"Go get changed unless you want to eat in your suit."



"I'll change," Brian said noting that Justin looked particularly good in his sky blue sweater and gray slacks.  "He's not as casual about this dinner as he wants me to believe," Brian thought to himself.



Brian had his suit off and was pulling up some slacks when Justin climbed the steps to the bedroom and watched him.  "What?" Brian asked.



"I want you to know that I'll be pleasant to Trip, but I'm not going to like him, and I didn't poison the food."



Brian laughed.  "Come here," he said softly.



Justin went slowly toward him and found himself wrapped in Brian's arms, a delicious kiss planted on his lips. Brian bent him over backwards and ended the kiss with a little tongue.  Justin felt his cock harden. Brian finally released him.



"Shit!" Justin said.



"What?" Brian wanted to know.



"Didn't you feel it?  You got me all excited and Trip will be here any minute."

"Do you think we have time?"



"No!" Justin said emphatically.  All he needed was to be half-dressed and well fucked when Trip arrived.  That wasn't the kind of image he wanted to project. He wanted to be cool and collected and sophisticated for this man that he had heard so much about.  He wasn't sure he could pull that off. On second thought maybe half-dressed and well fucked wasn't such a bad look after all. He shook his head and willed his cock to be still.



Brian was watching him, half naked himself.  He noticed the conflicting looks pass over his lover's face.



"Will you get dressed before he arrives!" Justin ordered rather testily.



"Yes, sir!" Brian responded, saluting.



Justin chuckled and went down to the kitchen to check on dinner.  He had made chicken breasts in an herb sauce with vegetables that he was roasting in the oven with the chicken.  It smelled good and would be ready in about a half hour. That would give them time for drinks and salad beforehand.  He smiled. He could do this.



Just then the buzzer sounded and he jumped.  "Shit, I need to get a grip," Justin chastised himself.  Brian was still in the bedroom, probably primping, so he went to the door.



"Hello," he said into the intercom.



"Trip Bedford here."



"Come on up.  Top floor."



Justin slid the door back and went to check that he had the liquor set out properly on the counter.  He glanced around. The table looked lovely, if he did say so himself. The apartment was neat and austere as always.  He was ready.



"Brian!" he called.  "Trip is on his way up."



"Coming."  Brian appeared on the steps dressed in brown slacks and a chocolate colored silk sweater that looked good enough to lick off his body.



"Fuck!" Justin thought.  "He looks too good."



They both could hear the elevator stop and Justin realized he was holding his breath.  He willed his feet to start moving towards the door. He met Brian there as Trip stepped out of the elevator.  Justin could see why everyone was so impressed with Trip. He was a beautiful man, not as beautiful as Brian, but beautiful nonetheless.



"Brian," Trip said with a genuine smile on his face.



"Trip, I'd like you to meet Justin.  Justin, this is Trip."



Trip held out his hand and Justin shook it.  He felt very young and unworldly all of a sudden.  He didn't like that feeling at all.



"Come on in and make yourself…comfortable," Justin said.  He had been going to say 'make yourself at home', but that seemed too much like what Trip really wanted to do.



"Thanks, Justin.  It's nice to finally meet you.  I've heard so much about you. Did Brian tell you that I own one of your drawings?"



"Yes, he did.  I'm not surprised that you bought one of Brian.  They tend to be my best work."



"You have others?"



"He's always drawing me.  God knows how many sketches he has made," Brian added squeezing Justin's arm possessively.



"I can understand why," Trip said.



"I just bet he can," Justin thought.  "Brian, are you going to look after drinks?"



"Right," Brian agreed.  "What would everybody like?"

Brian made the drinks and they chatted for a few minutes.  Justin noticed that Trip's eyes rarely left Brian, only looking at Justin when he spoke or when Brian said something about his lover.  Justin felt like he was being sized up by this man, but also excluded from what was going on between the other two.



"Let's move over to the table and have some salad," Justin suggested.



They got up and moved to the table.  Trip complimented them on how attractive everything was.  Brian poured wine and they ate their salad. Suddenly Justin realized that Trip was staring at him.  He did his best not to squirm.



"The salad's very good, Justin," Trip said.  "May I ask how old you are?"

"Why?  Are you surprised by all the things I can do and still keep my youthful appearance?"  He knew there was a tone of sarcasm in his voice, but he couldn't help himself.



"Actually, yes," Trip said bluntly.  "You seem so young, but so accomplished, artist, chef, lover."



Justin tried not to blush.  "I'm not as young as I appear."



"He's almost twenty," Brian contributed.



Justin was glad Brian had not said nineteen, relegating him to teenager status.  "I'll get the main course," Justin said standing and gathering up the salad plates.  He went into the kitchen and saw Trip bend close to Brian, saying something he couldn't hear.  He dished up the chicken and vegetables and brought their plates to the table as quickly as he could.  "Did I miss anything?" he asked pointedly.



"I was just asking Brian how he found you," Trip replied.



Justin thought that made him sound like a stray dog that Brian had picked up on the street somewhere.  In a way he was. "What did you tell him?" Justin asked looking directly at Brian. He wasn't sure that he wanted Trip to know anything more about their relationship.



"I told him that I saw you standing under a streetlamp and I knew you were the one for me from that moment on."



Justin blinked.  That was a lie and Brian never lied.  He didn't know whether to be pleased that Brian had used this version of the story or worried that Brian had felt he needed to lie.  "Took you long enough to tell me that I was the one," Justin couldn't help but say.



"Do tell?" Trip said wanting an explanation.



"He fought me for months and told me to get lost for most of the first year that I knew him."

"Really?"  Trip was definitely interested in Justin's statement.



Justin had a quick thought that maybe he should keep his mouth shut.  Wasn't Brian fighting Trip and telling him to keep his distance? He didn't want to give Trip any more encouragement.  "But we're together now. That's all that matters," Justin said, reaching across to touch Brian's hand.



Brian smiled back at him, Trip watching their interaction.  "It must be a warm, secure feeling being in a committed relationship," Trip said.



"What … what did you say?" Justin asked.



"I said it must feel good being in a committed relationship.  I've had a couple of relationships, but nothing you would call committed."



Justin was staring at Brian.  His heart was pounding and he found it hard to swallow the mouthful of food he was chewing.  What was going on here? His brain couldn't deal with this. He managed to swallow finally, but he was no longer the least bit hungry.  He noted that the other two seemed to be finished so he forced himself to stand and start removing the plates. He leaned on the counter in the kitchen and waited for the strange feeling in his brain and his heart to pass.  Finally he felt he could stand on his own. He brought coffee to the table and somehow managed to ask Brian to pour. He knew his own hands would never be steady enough to do it. He went back to the kitchen and took the fruit flan out of the fridge.  He brought it to the table and went back for the dessert plates. He leaned on the counter again, trying not to hyperventilate. He wasn't sure how long it took, but gradually he willed himself to breathe normally and stop shaking. He went back to the table and began cutting the flan.  Brian and Trip were talking about something, apparently unaware that there had been anything wrong with him. He smiled as he dished out the cake, hoping that was an appropriate expression to have on his face.



The rest of the evening was a blur for Justin.  He remembered that they had moved over to the living room at some point, and had more coffee there.  He had showed Trip his sketchbook and what he was working on at the moment. He seemed to remember that the man had been very complimentary.  Mostly he sat in a daze and let Brian and Trip talk. Finally Trip thanked Justin for the delicious meal and said he should be going. They went out to the landing and waited for the elevator.



Trip's last words as he got into the elevator were, "You're very lucky, both of you."  Then the elevator had started down and he had disappeared from sight.



Brian and Justin went back into the loft and Brian shut and locked the door behind them.  He turned to look at Justin. "That went really well, don't you think?"

Justin stared at him.  "When the fuck were you planning on telling me?" he demanded.



"Telling you?  Telling you what?"



"That we're in a committed relationship!"



"I … I … I …"



"You have to come up with something better than that!"



"I … I thought you knew."



"Are you fucking insane?"



"But … but you knew I was trying to be … faithful when you were in New York."



"I know that two days after I left, you had two men in our bed.  Is that your idea of committed?"



"No, but I did much better after that."



"Just what is your definition of committed anyway?"



"You know … exclusive."



"I know that's what it should mean.  Are you telling me that we are exclusive?"

"I guess so."

"Since when?"

"Since a couple of weeks before we came back from New York."



"Seriously?"  Justin couldn't believe he was hearing this.



"Yes."


"And when the fuck were you planning on telling me this?"

"I suppose I just did," Brian said with a nervous little laugh.



"Correction!  Trip told me!"



"Oh!"



"Don't you fucking 'oh' me!  How could you decide something like that without discussing it with me, and then tell this…this…this man who wants in your pants, tell him before you even tell me?"



"Justin, I never thought …"



"That's exactly it!  You never think! You never think about anyone else but yourself."



"Justin …" Brian didn't know what else to say.



"Why do you do these things?  Are you ever going to talk to me before you make life-altering decisions?"



"I … I hope so," Brian managed to get out.



"You hope so?  Does that mean that you want to?"



"I always do the wrong thing.  It's always my fault. I'm no good at this," Brian said in a barely audible voice, looking like his world was collapsing around him.  He slumped down onto the couch, his head falling back and his eyes closing to keep in the tears that were forming there. "I shouldn't even try," he whispered in defeat.



Justin watched and his heart melted.  "No, Brian, don't say that. I want you to try.  I want to be in a committed relationship with you.  I'm proud of you for trying to be exclusive."



"You are?" Brian asked opening his eyes.  "I thought I was doing a good thing," he said in a small voice.



Justin sat down beside him and wrapped his arms around Brian's neck.  "I love you. It was a good thing, but you need to talk to me."



"You know I'm no good at talking."



"I know, but we're still working on your training in that area.  We'll make a conversationalist out of you yet."



Brian gave a half-hearted snort.  He pulled Justin closer burying his face against Justin's neck.  "I can carry on a decent conversation. It's this intimate stuff that I'm no good at."


"You're doing pretty good right now," Justin said, kissing along his cheek.



"Am I?  I didn't mean to make you mad.  I had to know that I could be committed before I told you.  You know I don't make promises that I can't keep."



"Is that why you didn't say anything?"  Brian nodded. "Then why did you tell Trip?"



"He said something to me in Indianapolis about how we both felt the attraction between us.  I told him nothing would ever happen because I was in a committed relationship. I remember thinking at that moment that you would be so proud of me because I said it without any hesitation."



"You did?  I am proud of you."



Brian kissed him, squeezing Justin's body into his own.  They could both feel their cocks harden under the close contact.  Justin pushed himself away from Brian. He wasn't ready to fuck and forget just yet.



"We have to discuss one more thing," Justin said very seriously.



"What?" Brian groaned.



"Why did you tell Trip that the night you saw me under the streetlamp on Liberty Avenue you knew I was the one for you?  That's a lie."

"Is it?"



Justin's blue eyes stared into his hazel ones.  "What does that mean?" Justin asked, holding his breath.



"I've thought about that night many times.  I wanted to fuck you and I wanted my life to continue as it was.  It suited me just fine. If so, then why did I take you to the hospital with me?  Why did I let you name my son? Why did I let you keep coming back?"

"Because I was persistent."

"That too, but I knew right from the outset that there was something special about you.  I wasn't ready to admit that or to deal with it for a long time, but I knew."



"I love you.  I so love you!"

"Am I forgiven for telling Trip?"



"Maybe."

"Can I convince you?"



"Possibly."



Brian began kissing Justin's neck and face and lips.



"Are you getting convinced?"



"Keep working on it."

"Anything you ask."



"See how easy this intimate talk can be."



"I'm learning," Brian said, taking Justin's hand and pulling him up to the bedroom.  He'd finish convincing him in their bed.

Chapter 7 - Promises by Thyme

 

Promises

Justin realized he was humming a little tune as he headed into the gallery for work.  This weekend Brian had told him that they were in a committed relationship. He had never in his wildest dreams thought that Brian would agree to that.  Hell, agree to it, it had been his idea! If only Brian had talked to him about it first before making that declaration to Trip Bedford of all people. Justin tried to ignore that major lapse.  He had decided he was going to let it rest. He should just be thankful that Brian, for whatever reasons, had decided that Justin was the one and only for him.



He tried to wipe the dopey grin off his face.  He had been unable to stop smiling all weekend and he knew he was getting on Brian's nerves, but he couldn't help himself.  They had fucked again and again after Trip left. Neither one of them could get enough of the other. It was like they had moved to a different plane with their fucking.  It was sometimes intense, sometimes slow, sometimes tender and sometimes animalistic. They had done everything to each other all weekend long.



Justin slid carefully into the chair in the office.  His ass was going to need a day or two to return to some semblance of normal.  He grinned. So was Brian's.



Brian had left this morning before Justin woke up.  Justin had been a little disappointed to wake up alone in bed after such a fantastic weekend together.  He picked up the phone and hit Brian's number at work.



Cynthia answered, "Brian Kinney's office."



"Hi, Cynthia, it's Justin."


"Hi, Justin.  What did you do to him this weekend?"



"What do you mean?"

"He's had this goofy grin on his face all morning, and he hasn't barked at me even once."

"Count your blessings," Justin told her.



"I am, believe me, I am."

"Is he available?"



"I think so.  I'll put you through, and by the way, whatever you're doing, keep it up!"



"I promise," Justin replied grinning from ear to ear.



"Justin," Brian's voice came on the line.



"None other."

"How's your ass?"



"A tad tender.  And you?"



"I always thought I had a comfortable chair in my office, but I'd kill for a nice fluffy pillow right about now."



Justin giggled.  "That was some weekend, although I didn't like waking up alone this morning.  I had a few things that I wanted to do to you. I dreamed about them last night."



Brian smiled.  "Save them for tonight."

"If I can wait that long."

"Well, you better not come anywhere near here or I'll have your ass in the reception area in front of the whole office staff."



"Kinky," Justin giggled.



Brian chuckled.  "Did you need something, or are you just checking to make sure I remember the definition of committed?"

"I just called to tell you that I love you."

"Back at you."

Justin smiled to himself.  It was still hard to get an 'I love you' from Brian Kinney.  He said it sparingly, but usually at the most incredible times.  "See you for dinner," Justin said.



"Later," Brian replied and hung up.  He smiled and leaned back in his chair, only to receive a sharp twinge from his sore ass.  "Shit!" he muttered.



Once he found a more comfortable position, he allowed his mind to wander to the events of the weekend.  He had almost ruined everything by telling Trip that he was in a committed relationship. How could he have been so stupid to tell someone else before he told Justin?  He shook his head. He was so damn useless at this whole relationship shit. He wondered if he would ever get it even close to right. He doubted it, but Justin had forgiven him … again and again.  He knew he was grinning like an idiot but he couldn't help himself.



He cleared his throat and tried to get back to work.



                                                               -----



About two-thirty Emmett wandered into the Jane Granville Gallery looking for Justin.  He saw Justin talking to a customer in front of a sculpture, so he meandered along looking at paintings until Justin was finished.  Finally he saw the woman head for the door and he moved over to where Justin still stood.



"Make a sale?" Emmett asked.



"Probably not," Justin replied.  "I've learned the hard way that most people who seem really interested in a piece buy it immediately.  Their promises to come back tomorrow are usually pretty hollow."

"Funny, it's the same in the clothing business."

"Really?  I wouldn't have thought there was that much similarity."

"A sale's a sale," Emmett observed philosophically.



"So, what are you doing down here?" Justin asked.



"Came to see you."

"Oh, why?"

"Do I have to have a reason?"

"I bet you do."

"Well, actually I do.  Do you think you could design a poster for a charity event and maybe Brian could have them printed for us?"



"What charity event?"



"The hospice is holding a fifties dance to try to raise money to renovate the attic of the building they're in.  They could have three more beds if they did, and they want to name that floor after Godiva."



"Oh, Emm, that's nice."

"Yeah, it will mean that her memory lives on."

"I'll talk to Brian.  I'm sure he'll help."



"Thanks, Sweetie, I appreciate it.  You're good at getting Brian to do things.  Mostly he blows off any kind of charity stuff."

"He's not as tough as you might think," Justin said smiling mysteriously.



"What's that look for?  You look happy, really happy!"  Emmett looked at him appraising his appearance.  "What's going on?" Emmett wanted to know.



"Nothing.  Nothing," Justin said trying to stop grinning.



"Come on, Sweetie, spill!  You can tell me."

"Actually I can't."



"Now I know there's something juicy you're keeping from me."

"I can't tell you.  I promised."

"See if I tell you the next time I have some really good gossip," Emmett said huffily.



"Emm, all right, but you have to promise that it stays between you and me.  You can't tell anyone else. Okay?"



"Of course.  My lips are sealed," Emmett said pretending to lock his lips and then throw away the key.



Justin knew he shouldn't do this, but he so wanted to share his good news with someone.  "Brian and I are … are in a committed relationship," he blurted out.



"What?  Did my ears hear correctly?  Committed … as in exclusive … as in monogamous … as in no one else … as in …?"

"Shit, Emm, yes.  That's what I said."



"I…I…I'm just trying to get my mind around the idea of Brian Kinney being monogamous."



"It is kind of hard to believe, isn't it?" Justin said with a broad grin on his face.



"Oh, Sweetie, I'm so happy for you!"



"Thanks."



"When did this happen?"



"I just found out this weekend."

"Found out?  You mean you discussed it this weekend, right?"

"Not exactly.  Brian has been doing it for almost two months."

"You mean that Brian Kinney, the stud of Liberty Ave. has been with only you for almost two months?"

Justin nodded, grinning from ear to ear.



"How the mighty have fallen!" Emmett mused.  He was immediately sorry he said that when he saw Justin's face drop.  "I just meant that nobody would have ever thought that Brian would come to that point in his life.  You certainly have tamed the wild beast."



Justin still looked worried, so Emmett decided to keep his mouth shut.  He seemed to be making things worse with every statement he made. "I didn't want to tame him," Justin said sincerely.  "I like Brian the way he is. This was his decision," Justin tried to defend himself.



"You mean he did this voluntarily?  You didn't have to beg or plead?"



"He just told me that he had been exclusive for the last two months."



"And you didn't know until he said that?"

"No."

"He didn't discuss it with you?"  Emmett looked a little skeptical.



"He said he needed to prove to himself that he could do it before he told me."


"I'll be damned!"



"It is a little hard to get the mind around, even for me," Justin admitted.



"So how did he tell you?  Did he get all romantic with flowers and wine?  Did he give you a ring?" Emmett asked looking at Justin's hand.



Justin blushed crimson.  How could he explain how he had received this life-altering information?  Emmett and everyone else would think they were insane. "No, nothing like that.  It just kind of came out."

"What does that mean?" Emmett asked, noting that Justin was blushing, probably all the way down to his toes.  "Did he tell you in the middle of fucking your brains out? That would be so Brian Kinney!"



"No, not exactly."

"Come on, Sweetie, you've told me this much.  Dish!"



Justin knew he was getting deeper and deeper into shit he shouldn't be discussing.  He and Brian had decided not to tell anyone. It was to be their private business, their secret, until some time in the future when they would both feel comfortable telling their family and friends.  He had broken that trust already. Brian would have a bird if he knew. "I've already told you more than I should have," Justin said.



"Is it supposed to be a secret?" Emmett asked.  "What kind of committed relationship is it when nobody knows about it?"



"It's our kind!" Justin said defiantly.



"Brian's kind, you mean."



"So what?  That's what we decided to do."



"I bet you would have called everyone as soon as he told you, if you had had your way."



"Probably," Justin had to admit.



Emmett relented.  He could see that Justin was in turmoil about what he had already said.  Emmett wanted more information but he didn't want to upset his friend. "Justin, you don't have to tell me any more if you don't want to.  I told you I wouldn't say anything to anybody else and I won't."


"Thanks, Emm.  It's a relief to have somebody to talk to."



"But…you could tell me the rest if you want," Emmett offered.  "It won't go any further."



Justin considered his options for a moment.  "Come on in the office," he said. Justin got them some water from the little fridge and they sat on the couch.  "I really need to talk." He then proceeded to tell Emmett about having Trip for dinner and how it was really Trip that told him about them being in an exclusive relationship.  Justin could see Emmett's eyes getting bigger and bigger, but Emmett managed to keep his mouth shut and let Justin finish the story in his own way.


When Justin was finished his saga about confronting Brian after Trip left, and then the incredible weekend they had had together, Emmett's only reply was, "Holy shit!"



Justin smiled at Emmett's reaction.  He could just imagine what the rest of their friends would say if they heard what he had told Emmett.  "We never do anything in the usual way," Justin said by way of explanation.



"That's for fuck sure, but we are dealing with Brian Kinney here.  Is it any wonder?"

"You won't tell anyone, will you?  Even Ted?"


"Not a soul.  My lips are sealed."

"Thanks, Emm, I really needed to talk to someone."



"Any time, Sweetie, and you will talk to Brian about the poster?  Here's all the vital information." He handed Justin a piece of paper.  "I better get going," he said and with a kiss and a hug he was gone.



Justin sank carefully into the office chair.  He hoped he hadn't made a colossal mistake by telling Emmett, but he wanted someone to know and be happy for him.  He felt good about that, but not so good about breaking his promise.



                                                               -----



When Justin told Brian about the poster, his lover made a lot of bluster about not being part of the gay community, not being part of any community.  He wanted to know why people like Emmett always expected him to do stuff like this for free. Justin listened to all of his complaints and then asked how long it would take for him to have the poster printed up after he designed it.



"Two, maybe three days," Brian said, and Justin knew he was going to do it.



Justin got to work that night drawing up some preliminary sketches for the poster.  The dance was going to have a fifties theme and Justin wasn't too sure exactly what that entailed.



"What sorts of things go with the fifties?" Justin asked Brian.



"How the fuck should I know!  I'm not that old!" Brian was ticked at the implication that he would know or possibly remember the fifties.



"I didn't mean that you lived through the fifties, but you know a lot about a lot of things.  All I can think of is Elvis," Justin explained.



Brian sighed.  He remembered seeing a copy of a magazine not so long ago and it was all about the fifties.  "Well, Elvis and rock and roll came along in the fifties. There were saddle shoes and poodle skirts and buzz cuts.  The cars were huge and had big fins on the back." That just about exhausted Brian's list.



Justin looked at him like he was speaking a foreign language.  He groaned, knowing he was going to have to try to explain what saddle shoes and fins on cars and poodle skirts were.  He went to the computer and did a quick search. He found a site that dealt with fifties memorabilia and called Justin over.  In a very short time Justin had drawn up a rough draft of his poster showing a vintage Plymouth convertible with big fins and a guy and gal in suitable attire sitting on the trunk.  He had a 45 record with "Love Me Tender" on the label in one corner and all the info about the dance in the opposite corner. It looked great.



"Jesus, Justin!" Brian said looking at the work he had produced so quickly.  "That looks spectacular. I should have you working on my team at Vangard."


Justin beamed his sunshine smile at Brian.  He loved it when Brian spontaneously complimented him like that.  Then he knew that Brian really meant it, when it came out so suddenly.  "Someday," he replied with a smile. That got him a delicious kiss from the older man.



"Just one thing," Brian said, "shouldn't you have two guys or two gals sitting on the car?  This is a gay dance."



"I suppose, but we want both gay and lesbian to attend the dance," Justin explained.  "They don't have to be a couple, just two people from the fifties."



"Sure."  Brian still sounded a little skeptical.



"Can we go to the dance?"



"What dance?" Brian asked knowing full well what Justin wanted.



"The fifties dance, you twat!"



"Why would you want to go to something that you know nothing about?"



"It could be fun," Justin coaxed.



"It could also be pathetic."



"Brian, please," Justin begged.  "It's for charity and I'd really like to go."

"All right.  How can I refuse that face?  But I'm not wearing a poodle skirt."



Justin giggled.  "You could wear your leather jacket like the Fonz.  That was the fifties, wasn't it? I could grease your hair back."



"You leave my hair alone.  It takes me hours to get it in this disarray.  I don't want any goop on it. No Brylcreem for me."



"A little dab'll do ya!"



"Where did you hear that?"



"I think I heard my Dad say that one time.  Why?"



"Shit!  Are you trying to make me feel ancient tonight?"

"You're not so ancient," Justin replied hugging Brian around the waist.  "Let's go to bed and I'll show you how young and vital you are."

"My ass can't take too much tonight."

"Mine either."



"There are other things we can do," Brian said raising his eyebrows suggestively.



"Show me," Justin challenged.



Brian demonstrated some techniques that Justin was sure didn't come from the fifties, more like from the twenty-fifth century.



                                                               -----



Justin greased back his hair, but didn't like that look.  He swirled it around trying to make a jellyroll that he had seen in a book on the fifties that he had picked up from the library at PIFA.  They had lots of fashion books in the library. Somehow Justin was sure that the fifties wasn't high on the list of great fashion eras.



He didn't really have enough hair at the front to get the look he was trying for, but it would have to do.  He looked down at his jeans which he had rolled up at the bottom and the plain white t-shirt. It wasn't bad.  Anyway, it would have to do.



He wondered why Brian was so late getting home from work.  He knew they were going to the dance at eight. Maybe that was it.  He didn't want to go, so he was stonewalling and not coming home from work.



Just then the loft door slid back and Brian walked in.  Justin came down the steps from the bathroom where he had been fussing with his hair.  Brian stopped in his tracks and looked at his lover. "You look … ridiculous!" he said.



"Brian!  Don't be mean.  I look like someone from the fifties."



"Thank God, that's a long gone era.  I thought the eighties were bad."



"Did you eat anything?  You need to get ready so we can get to the dance before it's over."

"Keep your rolled up pants on, kid.  I need a shower, and I'd like a little company."



"We don't have time.  It's nine-thirty now!"



"I had a lot of work to tidy up before the weekend.  Come shower with me?" Brian asked nuzzling Justin's neck.



"No, go get ready!" Justin ordered.



Brian did not look pleased but he released Justin and went quickly up to the bedroom.  Justin heard the shower go on and went to sit on the couch. He leaned his head on the back of the couch and yawned.  He had worked several extra shifts at the diner so that he could get tonight off and all day tomorrow. Between the diner and the gallery and Brian he had little time for himself.  He didn't want to admit it, but Brian had been right when he had told him how hard it would be to work two jobs and still have time for himself and his relationship.



"Justin, Justin!"



Justin felt his shoulder being jostled and looked up into hazel eyes that were concerned.  "What?" he asked.



"You fell asleep while I was taking my shower.  Maybe we shouldn't go tonight, if you're this tired."



"I'm fine," Justin said standing up.  "It was just a power nap. Hey, you look good.  Just like the Fonz."



"Only taller, and I don't have my motorcycle revved up."

Justin laughed.  "Let's go!"



They arrived at the GLC just after ten.  Everybody else was already there. They found the table where the gang was seated.  Horvath was there with Debbie. He didn't look too ridiculous with his hair slicked back.  Everybody had gone all out with their costumes. Lindsay had managed to get a real live kickass poodle skirt from her mother. When she told everyone where she got it, Brian said, "Don't say she never gave you anything."


Lindsay stuck her tongue out at him, but Brian just grabbed Justin and pulled him onto the dance floor.  They were playing an old Buddy Holly tune called "Not Fade Away". Brian got into the song immediately.



"I like this old song.  Too bad Buddy Holly died so young."



"He did?  How old was he?"

"Twenty-two."

"Shit, that's almost the same as me."



"And his music was great.  You know the song "American Pie"?  When it talks about 'the night the music died', that's the night that Buddy's plane went down."



"Really?"

"Um hum.  Did you know that Buddy Holly not only sang but played a mean guitar?"



Justin looked at him like he was from outer space.  "You're a freak! How do you know all this stuff?"



"I read."

"So what was special about his guitar playing?"

"He played a Stratocaster with a stiff wrist at breakneck speed."



"No limp wrist for him, huh?"  Justin giggled.



Brian gave him a look and said nothing more.  Justin was sorry to have shut Brian up like that, but he was too tired to care.  He liked dancing with Brian, but he would rather be in bed asleep if he was truthful about it.



They danced a few more dances to music that seemed to Justin like it came from the last century, which he realized it actually did.  Brian seemed to really like it and so did Emmett and Deb and Vic. Finally he and Brian got a drink and went back to the table.



Michael and Ben were there.  Ben looked hot, dressed not unlike Brian.  Michael looked even more geeky than usual. He always seemed so kiddish and the fifties look just accentuated that.  Justin slumped into a chair and sucked on his beer.



"You look tired, Justin," Ben noted.



"I worked some extra shifts to get tonight and tomorrow off, so I'm a little pooped."



"That's too bad when you're supposed to be having fun," Michael said.



"He's young.  He'll be fine," Brian declared giving him a kiss.



Justin smiled at him.  He didn't want to admit that at the moment Brian was right about him taking on more than he could handle.  He didn't know how Brian did it, working till all hours and still having lots of stamina to go clubbing or fucking.  Brian never seemed to need as much sleep as he did.



"Come on, kid.  Let's dance some more," Brian said.



Justin allowed Brian to pull him up from his chair and onto the dance floor once more.  He did his best to keep up with the older man. He was relieved when after two or three songs, Brian marched him back to the table.  He collapsed into his chair.



"Sunshine," Debbie said, "maybe you should go home and get some sleep.  You look exhausted."

"I'm fine, Deb," Justin tried to convince her and himself.



"Whew!"  Emmett slid into the chair next to Justin.  He and Ted had been dancing up a storm. Justin looked at him with a bit of a worried look on his face.  Emmett leaned toward Justin and whispered, "I'm keeping my promise."

Justin smiled and looked relieved.  "Thanks, Emm," he whispered.



"Thanks for what?" Brian asked.  Nothing got by him.



"Um…for working on this dance," Justin covered.  "It's great!"



"Yeah, we have a good turnout.  Should raise a bundle for the hospice," Emmett added.



"Right," Brian said looking from Emmett to Justin and back again.  "Let's have one more dance and then I'll take my baby home and put him to bed."



Justin smiled in relief.  He liked that plan. They danced to "Jailhouse Rock", waved goodbye to everybody and headed out to the Jeep.  Justin climbed in and leaned his head against the headrest. He stifled a yawn.



"Are you all right?" Brian asked.



"Tired," Justin admitted.



"Well, not too tired for a little activity when we get home, I hope?"



"Never too tired for that."



"Good."



They drove to the loft in silence, Justin doing his best to stay awake and not yawn too noticeably.  When they finally arrived at the loft, Justin headed immediately for the bed. He kicked off his shoes and pulled off his clothes.  He slumped down onto the bed only to find Brian on top of him, licking his ear, his hard-on pressed insistently in the crack of Justin's ass.



"Umm," Justin moaned barely awake.



"Feel good?" Brian asked.



"Umm."

Brian began licking down Justin's back to that delicious valley at the top of his lover's ass.  His tongue licked across Justin's pucker and he felt the boy start. His tongue began to probe that delicious hole, receiving appropriate moans and whispers from the body under him.  He leaned over and reached for a condom. As he bit the foil and ripped it open he heard a snore escape Justin's open mouth.



"Fuck!" he muttered and threw the condom across the bedroom.  Brian got up from the bed and stared at his lover. He was horny and his raging hard-on wanted to ravish that delectable ass that lay tantalizingly in front of him.  He shook his head and walked into the bathroom. Whacking off in the shower was hardly the ending that he had anticipated for tonight. He started the shower and stepped inside, slamming the door.  He didn't care if the noise woke up the sleeping Justin.


                                                               -----



Justin woke to daylight and stretched luxuriously.  He looked around. The bed was empty and so was the loft if his ears were telling him the correct story.



"Brian?" he called.  There was no answer.



He tried to remember what had happened last night after the dance.  He remembered that he had fought to stay awake in the Jeep. After that everything was blank.  His ass certainly didn't feel like it had been fucked. Shit, had he fallen asleep? He glanced at the clock.  When it finally registered that it was telling him that it was 2:40 in the afternoon, he sat bolt upright. He had slept away almost all of this day off that he had worked so hard to get.  He couldn't believe that he had been so stupid, or more correctly, so tired.



He shoved himself up from the bed and went into the shower.  He needed to find Brian. He could just imagine how pissed Brian would be, both over last night and the fact that he had been out like a light for most of the day today.



He showered quickly and had just wrapped a towel around his hips when he heard the door slide back.  He plastered on his best smile and stepped out of the bathroom.



"Hey," he said.  "Where have you been?"



"Did you finally get up?"



"Yeah, sorry about that."

"I guess you really needed the rest," Brian said hardly looking at him.



"I feel much better now," Justin replied trying to put a positive spin on his sleeping the day away.  "What have you been doing?"

"Went to breakfast with the guys, worked out at the gym, went to see Gus, whacked off in the shower …"  He let those words hang in the air.



"Oh!"



"Is that all you fucking have to say?"

"What do you want me to say?  I'm sorry if I fell asleep. I couldn't help it."

"Right!"



"Brian, I had to work extra to get last night and today off," Justin tried to explain.  "It really tired me out."

"So you got last night and today off.  You were barely able to keep your eyes open at the dance last night.  You fell asleep in the middle of me rimming you. Your so called day off is almost over because you slept it away.  Tell me; was the extra work worth it?"



"I … I guess not."

"I tried to tell you two jobs was too much.  We don't need the money, but I do need your ass!"



"Is that all you're worried about?"



"Isn't that enough?"



"Jesus, Brian, one night I fall asleep and you freak out."

"This is supposed to be a partnership, especially now that we're in a committed relationship.  What good is that if you sleep your way through it?"

"Are you going to throw that in my face every time something happens?"

"Maybe it would have been better if you never found out that piece of information."

"Don't say that!" Justin said fearing Brian was going to take it back.



"Why?  Worried that you'll have to explain to Emmett how our committed relationship fell apart so fast?"



"How…how did you know?"

"I'm not fucking stupid!  When I see you and Ms. Honeycutt huddled and whispering, there are only so many things you can be talking about, and how great the dance was wasn't one of them."


"I'm sorry, but I needed someone to talk to and Emmett promised he wouldn't tell anyone else."



"He fucking better not!"



"He won't, and I won't tell anyone else either."



Brian looked at him.  Justin wondered if Brian was remembering all of the other broken promises that he had made.



"Did you tell anybody?  Michael?" Justin hoped the answer would be yes, but he was pretty sure that Brian wouldn't have told anyone.



"No, when I say something, I mean it."


That hurt.  Justin knew he deserved it, but it still hurt.  He was about to get angry and tell Brian off, when he realized that he didn't want to fight with his man.  He went down to where Brian stood by the couch. He put his arms around Brian's neck and softly kissed his luscious lips.  Brian stood rigid and unyielding. Justin kissed a bit harder and felt Brian's lips soften against his. He increased the pressure of the kiss and his tongue sought entrance.  He felt Brian's cock jump. He pressed his body into Brian's and felt the man's mouth open and accept the probing of his tongue. He felt Brian's hands wander over his back and shoulders, and then his towel was gone and he was hard and Brian was kissing him back.



Finally he released Brian from the kiss.  They both needed some independent breaths.  He started removing Brian's clothes. The man nuzzled his neck and whispered, "You smell so good straight from the shower."



"Thank you, but there's nothing straight about me."



Brian chuckled.  "Except your dick at the moment."



They both looked down to see two very hard cocks, each wanting relief.



"Come back to bed," Justin said removing the last of Brian's clothes.



"Are you going to spend your whole day off in bed?"



"Yes, but I don't plan to sleep."



"That's the best news I've had in several days."



They held hands as they went back up to the bedroom.  No more words or promises were said for a long time, just moans and gasps.  Each knew they would probably have another sore ass, but that was a small price to pay for the hours of pleasure and love they gave to each other.

Chapter 8 - Bedtime Story by Thyme

 

Bedtime Story

"Fuck, Justin!"  Brian was exasperated.  He had agreed to take Gus for the weekend thinking that it would be a chance for the three of them to spend some time together and have a relaxing couple of days.  Now Justin had told him that he was working at the diner all day Saturday and at the gallery on Sunday.



"I'm sorry," Justin said lamely.  "I knew I had to work Sunday when you told me about the weekend, but I thought you could bring Gus to the gallery and we could still have some time together."


"What about the diner?"


Justin grimaced.  He knew Brian wasn't going to like this.  "Debbie has a date with Horvath. He's taking her to a wedding.  It will be the first time she meets some of his family. She tried everyone, but nobody would take her shift on Saturday.  They all had big plans for the weekend."



"We could have had big plans too," Brian said sarcastically.



"I'm sorry!"  Justin didn't know what else to say.



"Fuck sorry," Brian said matter-of-factly.



"I'll still be here in the evenings both days.  We can do something with Gus then," Justin said hopefully.



"Right!  We'll be able to cram so much into that half hour between when you get off work and Gus goes to bed."



Justin knew Brian was exaggerating, but he was right, there wouldn't be much time between the two.  "Shit!" Justin said. He felt like crying, but he told himself that it would only make him look pathetic, and it probably wouldn't soften Brian's attitude.  Justin sat staring off into space. There wasn't anything more to say. He had made these commitments and he would stick with them, even if Brian didn't like it.



"I'm going to Babylon for a couple of hours," Brian stated, getting up from the couch and heading up to the bedroom.


"Brian, it's after ten."


"Are you trying to tell me I have a curfew?"


"No … no.  I just thought that it's kind of late.  By the time you get there …"



Justin did not complete his sentence knowing that it would sound even more pathetic.  Brian thought nothing of staying up till all hours of the day or night. He could still manage to get up the next morning and be brilliant at work.



Brian was putting on his tight black jeans and a sleeveless black shirt when Justin went up the steps to see what he was doing.



"Want me to come?" Justin asked, trying to make up with his lover.



"Not particularly!"



Justin was hurt.  It wasn't like Brian to turn him down and in such a rude fashion.



"Fine," Justin replied.  "I'm going to bed. Don't wake me up when you come in, that is, if you come in."  He began taking off his clothes as Brian grabbed his keys and slammed out of the loft.



Brian arrived at Babylon to find none of his friends there.  He got a beer from the bar and went up on the catwalk to survey the scene.  He had been standing there for a few minutes when he could feel eyes boring into him.  He glanced around the dance floor, looking for someone who would be staring back at him.  Finally he saw the man. He was young, not as young as Justin, but young. He had black hair and big dark eyes that never wavered from Brian's face.  Brian had never seen him before. He must be new to Babylon. He was definitely cruising Brian. Brian felt his cock give a little twitch of anticipation.  He looked away knowing that he shouldn't be doing or thinking the things that were sweeping through his brain and body.



When he looked back, he couldn't find the man anymore.  He let out a sigh, more of relief than regret. Now he wouldn't have to deal with turning the guy down, if he had been strong enough to turn him down, that was.



"Hey," a soft voice said from behind him.



Brian turned to look into the same pair of eyes that had been staring at him from the dance floor.  "Hey," he replied trying to give no encouragement.



"Want to dance?"



"Not particularly."



"Come on," the man said.  "One dance? I'm Greg."



"Well, Greg, I think you're barking up the wrong tree."


"Why?  You're gay, aren't you?"



Brian chuckled.  Obviously this guy was new to Pittsburgh, not just Babylon.  "Rumor has it."


"Then come on and have one dance."


Brian sized up this guy.  If he had been looking for a trick, this would be no reject.  He was a little shorter than Brian, but had that lean, semi-cut body that appealed to Brian.  He wondered what he had come to Babylon for, if not to dance with such a man. He knew he had come to escape Justin for awhile, but why shouldn't he have a dance as well.  "You're on," he said and headed down to the dance floor.



They began gyrating to the music.  The guy was a good dancer. As the music continued he inched ever closer to Brian until his groin was grinding against Brian's.  Brian could feel the effect this was having on both their cocks, but he didn't care. It felt good to be on the dance floor and have this handsome young man desire him.  He had almost forgotten what an adrenaline rush that could be.



When that song ended they were very close together, sweaty and turned on.  As soon as the next song started, Greg began dancing and bumping provocatively against Brian.  Brian did nothing to stop him, just reciprocated.



All of a sudden Brian felt an arm slide down his chest and push him back so that he broke contact with Greg.  He had been lost in the moment, so when he looked up into familiar blue eyes he was momentarily stunned.



"Hey, what do you think you're doing?" Greg asked.



"Fuck off!" Brian and Justin said in unison.



Greg shook his head and mumbled, "Fuck you both," as he headed to a different part of the dance floor to look for a new partner.



Justin laid his arms on Brian's shoulders and ground his groin into Brian's.  They moved together as only they could. Brian leaned in and sucked on Justin's lower lip.  That soon grew into a deep and lingering kiss with dueling tongues and gasping lungs.



"Come home with me, now!" Justin demanded.



"Let's go," Brian said, taking his hand and heading for the exit.



Brian drove at Indy speeds to get them to the loft in as few seconds as possible.  They raced up the stairs and had most of their clothes off before Brian could get the loft door locked.  Justin threw himself at Brian wrapping his legs around the man's torso. Brian walked them up to the bedroom, carrying Justin like that and kissing him all the while.  They tumbled onto the bed, Brian on top, kissing and exploring like they had been separated for months.



"Fuck me," Justin whispered.



Brian grabbed the lube and worked his fingers into Justin's pucker.  Justin stifled a scream as Brian's none too gentle fingers stabbed into his hole over and over.



He felt Brian stop, and he knew the man was putting on a condom.  His eyes searched Brian's face until he looked at him. Brian positioned his cock and plunged in with one swift and rather painful stroke.  Justin grunted and cried out. Brian pulled back and rammed in again. He knew he was taking out his frustrations on this willing body but it felt too good to stop.  He continued his assault. Justin's fingernails dug into his shoulders and he realized the boy was fighting back, returning the passion and anger that they had both felt.  The collision of their bodies became more and more severe as they pounded into each other. Justin was gasping and moaning and whimpering, or was that him? They were lost in the intensity of this act, joined as one, breathing as one, moaning as one, coming as one.



Brian finally opened his eyes.  He could feel Justin's heaving breaths beneath him, matching his own.  "Fuck!" he groaned, rolling onto his back and sliding his cock from Justin's body.



"Double fuck!" Justin replied gasping.



Brian raised his head and looked at his lover.  Justin still gasped for air, his mouth open to suck in as much oxygen as he could get.  His eyes were closed and his chest was covered in his own come. Brian reached over and ran his hand through the come, feeling the pearly white liquid already beginning to grow thicker.  He rubbed it over Justin's chest, then licked it off, sucking on the boy's nipples as he did so. He saw Justin's cock jump at his actions. He smiled.



"Fuck, Brian!  I can't take anything else for a minute or two."



"I know, baby.  I'm just playing," he said, kissing Justin and depositing some of his come into that luscious mouth.



"Mmm."



"Maybe we should go to Babylon more often.  That was exciting."


"You want to kill me?"


"Didn't you like it?" Brian asked.



"Of course I did.  It was sensational."



Brian chuckled.  "So I haven't lost my touch."


"Did you think you had?"



"Sometimes it seems like we fight about nothing and it gets kind of boring and … mundane."


"Anything to do with you is hardly mundane," Justin declared.



"That's good to know.  Why did you come to Babylon?"


"Couldn't let you find someone else."



"I'd never do that."



"Oh yeah, who was that guy you were dancing on top of?"


Brian snorted.  "Greg, I think. He was just someone to dance with.  That's all."


"It sure looked like he was after you.  I could barely squeeze my arm in between you."


"He was a good dancer, but not as good as you."


Justin kissed him, knowing that the tiff was over and Brian would be all right now.  "Let's figure out what we can do about spending some time together this weekend."


                                                               -----



Brian picked up Gus Saturday morning and brought him to the diner for brunch.  Justin took his break so that he could sit with them and eat something. Justin gave Gus a kiss and his plate of pancakes.  After Gus had gobbled up most of them, he looked at Justin and said, "Come to the museum with us, Justin?"


"I wish I could, Gus, but I have to work."


"Oh," said Gus not looking very happy about that reply.



"You and Dada will have a good time there, and I'll see you at the loft for dinner.  Okay?"



"Okay," Gus agreed.  "Play with me then?"


"You got it, partner," Justin said.



Brian and Gus left to go to the museum to see the dinosaurs one more time.  Justin went back to serving his tables and wishing he could be with his lover and Gus.



At the museum Brian took Gus through the dinosaur exhibit.  The little boy had learned the names of most of the dinosaurs.  He would say the name and then get Brian to read him the little blurb about that particular species.  Brian could tell that Gus took in most of what he read to him and wondered how soon Gus would have it memorized or be reading it himself.  He was a very bright little boy.



As the afternoon wore on and they had covered all of the dinosaurs, Brian decided to take Gus for an ice cream cone.  They drove to Baskin and Robbins and Gus got a chocolate cone. It was a warm day so Brian gave in and got a pistachio cone for himself.  He shared with Gus who had chocolate all over his face, but decided he liked pistachio too. He ate most of his father's as well as his own.  Finally Brian threw the remnants of the cones away and cleaned up the little boy.



He walked Gus back to the car and put him in his car seat.  Pretty soon he would be too big for it and they would have to move up to the next kiddy type seat.  Gus looked a little tired so Brian decided to take him back to the loft and maybe get him to take a nap.



Gus lay down on the sofa and Brian brought him his books that he had selected for his weekend visit.  He picked Thomas the Train, of course, and Brian read him the story. Gus' eyes seemed to be wanting to close but the little boy was fighting it.  Brian read on in a soft voice and soon Gus' even breathing indicated he was asleep. Brian stretched and went up to the bedroom. He brought down one of the pillows and laid it beside Gus to secure him on the couch and prevent him from rolling off.



He moved to the kitchen taking the phone with him.  He hit the number of the diner and Justin answered.



"When will you be here?" Brian asked.  "Gus is having a nap, but he'll be hungry when he wakes up."



"Um … there's a slight problem.  Kiki called and she's going to be a little late for her shift.  I have to stay till she gets here."


Brian groaned, but tried not to get too mad.  "Gus will be disappointed."



"I know, and I'm sorry, but there's nobody else to cover."



"What should I do about dinner?"


"Why don't you order pizza?  Gus loves it. I'll probably grab something here, but I could heat the pizza up, if I'm hungry when I get home."



"What time will that be?"



"I'm really not sure.  Whenever Kiki gets here, I guess."


"Fuck, Justin, you promised Gus that you would play with him tonight."



"I know.  Tell him I'm sorry and I'll make it up to him tomorrow."


"You better," Brian said, not being very charitable about Justin's situation.



Justin knew Brian was ticked, but there was nothing he could do about it.  "Later," he said and hung up.



Brian was pissed.  He knew Gus would be in a bad mood when he woke up and Justin wasn't there.  He tried to think of things he could do to entertain and distract Gus until Justin got home.  He rummaged around in the DVD drawer to see what kiddy movies he could find. After a short search he found the animated "Lion King" that Justin had picked up on sale a week or two ago, saying that Gus might like it.  He set it out as a last resort.



Brian walked over to his computer.  He had some work he could do, and since Justin was absent and Gus asleep, he decided he might as well do that.  Maybe Justin would be home by the time Gus woke up.



Gus slept for a little over an hour.  Brian was thinking about waking him up, because too long a nap meant that he would be impossible to put to bed in decent time.



"Dada," Gus said looking over at Brian working at the computer.



"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian smiled, "did you have a good sleep?"


Gus nodded.  "Peepee, Dada," Gus said sitting up.



Brian immediately grabbed his son and carried him up to the bathroom.  He set the boy down in front of the toilet. Gus stood on the little stool they had there for him to use and pulled his pants down.  Brian watched his son pee into the toilet, concentrating very hard to do it right and not miss.



When Gus was finished, he pulled up his pants and pushed the stool over to the sink to wash his hands.  With that all accomplished he turned and smiled at his father.



"Good boy!" Brian congratulated him.  His son got more and more grown up every day.



"Where's Justin?" Gus asked.



Brian groaned inwardly.  "He's not home from work yet," he said trying to be cheerful.



"When will he come?"



"I'm not sure."



Gus looked ready to cry.



"Are you hungry?" Brian asked hoping to turn his thoughts to something else.



Gus nodded.



"Would you like pizza?"



Gus nodded again.



"Cheese and pepperoni?"



Gus nodded.



"Let's go order it," Brian said taking Gus' hand and leading him down to the kitchen.  He set the boy on one of the stools in front of the counter and searched through the drawer of take-out menus until he found the pizza one.  He ordered Gus' pizza and a vegetarian one. He knew Justin would eat either of them.



When Brian was finished, he looked at Gus wondering what they could do until the pizzas arrived.



"Thirsty, Dada," Gus said.



Brian got his Winnie the Pooh plastic cup with two handles and poured some apple juice into it.  Gus sucked on it greedily, and it was gone in a flash. "You were thirsty," Brian commented, and poured a little more juice into the cup.  As he was putting the juice back into the fridge he saw a bag of baby carrots that Justin must have bought. He brought it out and ripped it open, taking a handful of carrots out and putting the rest back in the fridge.  He gave them a rinse under the tap and put them in a little dish which he set in front of Gus.



Gus grabbed one and started eating.



"Chew carefully, Gus," Brian said.  "Would you like to watch a movie?" he asked hopefully.



"Justin."



"Justin will be here soon," Brian said hoping that would be true.



He helped Gus down and went to put "The Lion King" in the DVD player.  Thankfully Gus liked it and he was engrossed until the pizza came. They left the movie on while they ate.  Gus managed two good sized pieces of his pizza and Brian picked at the vegetarian one, wishing that Justin was there.  He was sure it would taste a lot better if the blond was sitting beside him gobbling pizza and commenting on the animation of the movie.



When the film was over, Brian suggested that Gus draw some pictures about the movie to show Justin when he finally got home.  Gus was happy to do that, always loving to scribble and color and draw. That kept the little boy happy for awhile.



By 8:30 Brian was getting ticked and Gus was more and more whiny wanting to know where Justin was.  Brian began suggesting that Gus go to bed, but the boy was not in the least tired. He wanted to play with Justin before he even thought about sleeping.



Brian took out the Thomas the Train toys that he had stocked up on for when Gus was there.  He sat down on the floor with Gus and they played with the various cars and the figure of the stationmaster.  Gus muttered away describing everything the trains were doing.



Brian asked, "Where is Thomas going?"



"To the diner to pick up Justin," Gus replied.



Brian smiled.  "If only it was that easy!"



"Thomas can carry lots of people," Gus explained.  "He'll get Debbie and Michael too."



"That's nice."


"Then we'll go to Mama and Mommy's house and pick them up."


"You're going to have a full train," Brian told him.



Gus nodded.  "We can get 'Mantha too."


"Who's Samantha?" Brian asked supplying the missing syllable to the name Gus had tried to say.



"My friend at school."


"Oh," Brian said.  He hadn't heard about Samantha before.  "Do you like Samantha?"



Gus nodded.  "She plays with me.  I like her."


Brian looked at his son.  "Do you play with other kids too, Gus?"


"Sometimes, but I like 'Mantha best."


Brian had often mused about the sexuality of his son.  He wondered what being brought up by two dykes would do to the kid's psyche.  He also wondered if Gus was confused by his own relationship with Justin. Maybe he was too young yet to care about any of that.  The fact that his son's best friend was a girl didn't surprise him either, but it didn't answer any of his questions.



After Thomas had picked up his cargo of people, Gus told Brian that they were going to New York.



"Why New York?" Brian asked, wondering if Gus remembered his trip there.



"We can visit Tyrone and Daisy and Luigi," Gus stated.



Brian was amazed that the little boy remembered the trip and the names of all the people he had met there.  "Would you like to go to Central Park and ride the Carousel again?"



Gus nodded.  "But first we see Daisy."


Brian chuckled.  It stood to reason that a horse would be the first thing that Gus would want to visit in New York.  Gus babbled on some more about the trip and what they would do. When Brian glanced at the clock, he realized it was almost nine-thirty and Justin still wasn't home.  Gus should have been in bed an hour ago.



"Let's go have a shower, Gus, and I'll put your jammies on."



"No!" Gus replied, knowing this meant he was going to get put to bed.  "Justin!"



"We'll put on your pajamas and then we'll wait for Justin.  Okay?"



Gus looked rather uncertain about this, but he did like showering with his father.  He liked it even better when Justin showered with them too. He always played fun games with the soap and held Gus up right under the showerhead.  "Okay," Gus said rather tentatively.



Brian stripped off their clothes and turned the shower on.  While he was checking to make sure that the water wasn't too hot for his son, the little boy disappeared.  "Gus," Brian called. There was no answer. "Gus!" Brian called more loudly and in a sterner voice. There was still no answer.  Brian knew his son had to be hiding so he went into the bedroom looking around for the boy. There was no sign of him there.



After checking the living room and not finding the little boy, Brian headed for the kitchen.  As he rounded the end of the counter, he saw Gus crouched down looking the other way. He pounced, grabbing his son, and flipping him up in the air.  At first there was no sound from the boy, as he was taken by surprise. Then he squealed in fright and wonder and delight as his father tossed him up again and again.   



"Had enough, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked lowering him down to his chest.



Gus grabbed him around the neck still giggling from the shock and fun of Brian's actions.  "Love you, Dada," he said kissing Brian on the cheek.



Brian hugged him tight and whispered, "I love you so much, Gus."  He was thinking of all the times as a little boy he had wanted his parents to say that to him.



Gus kissed his father again, seeming to study the sad look in his father's eyes.  "What's wrong, Dada?"



"Nothing, Gus, nothing.  Let's get that shower."



Brian carried Gus up to the bathroom and stepped into the shower, still holding the little boy in his arms.  He let the water hit them a bit, then stepped back. Gus giggled. He did the same thing again and Gus giggled harder.  He held the boy out into the flow of water and let him get thoroughly drenched. Gus sputtered and spit out the water he had sucked into his mouth.  Brian held him close till he recovered.



"Again, Dada!" Gus ordered.



Brian smiled and held his son under the flow, up close to the showerhead.  When he pulled Gus back, the boy gasped for air and coughed. Brian worried that maybe that had been too much.



Just then Gus giggled and yelled, "Again!"



Brian laughed.  Gus was definitely his kid, looking for the thrill, never willing to back off.  He held Gus under the spray one more time. When he pulled him back this time, he held him tightly and whispered, "That's enough, Gus."  He didn't want the boy to get too over-excited. He grabbed the soap and gave it to Gus who lathered his father's shoulders and face. Brian set Gus down and stepped into the flow to rinse it off.  He turned around and lathered up the little boy. Gus giggled and squirmed. Brian had trouble finishing his task. Hanging on to a soapy body wasn't easy. Finally they both rinsed off and Brian turned the water off.  He stepped out and wrapped a towel around his hips. He placed a towel around Gus' shoulders and picked him up, snuggling the towel under his chin.



Gus laid his head on Brian's shoulder as his father rubbed his back and arms to dry him off.



"Getting Sleepy?" Brian asked softly.



"No!"



Brian knew Gus was probably tired, but he wasn't willing to give in.  He still wanted to play with Justin. When the little boy was dry, Brian helped him into his pajamas.  He combed Gus' hair and fluffed his own.



"Want a drink, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked.



Gus nodded sleepily.  Brian carried him down to the kitchen and got them both some water.  Gus had a big drink. Brian was getting really angry that Justin still wasn't home.  It was after ten o'clock.



"Come lie in the big bed, Gus and I'll read you a story," Brian coaxed.



Gus whimpered a bit, but allowed Brian to take him up to the bedroom.  Brian laid his son on the bed and pulled a light summer sheet over the small body.  He picked up "Winnie the Pooh" and began reading from where he had left off the last time Gus was there.



Gus listened for awhile showing no signs of going to sleep.  When Brian paused for a moment to see if Gus was getting sleepy, the little boy said, "Dada."



"Yes, Gus?"



"Tell me a story from your mouth."



"From my mouth?" Brian repeated, not sure what Gus meant.



"Not from a book, from your mouth."



Brian realized that Gus was asking him to make up a story of his own, not read him one from a book.  He groaned. He was no good at this kind of thing. This was Justin's forte. Where the fuck was that kid anyway?



"Please, Dada."



Brian knew he was going to have to try, so he wracked his brain for an idea.  Then it came to him.



"Once upon a time," he began.



Gus smiled at him.  That gave him courage to go on.



"Once upon a time there was a handsome prince named Brian."



"Just like you, Dada?"



"Just like me, Sonny Boy.  The handsome prince was the master of his domain.  He had many subjects who worshipped him from near and afar.  He was very powerful, but also very lonely, only he didn't know that yet.  One night he was at another boring ball, dancing with all the fair … maidens.  He could have his pick of any of them, but they all seemed so much the same. No one really interested him.  He decided to leave the ball, because there was nothing there for him. He stepped out into the street feeling discouraged.  There before his eyes stood the most beautiful…princess imaginable. The princess had lovely blond hair and the most amazing blue eyes that the prince had ever seen."



"Just like Justin?" Gus asked.



"Exactly like Justin," Brian replied.  "So the prince walked over to the princess who stood in the light of…the moon.  He leaned close to the princess and asked, 'Have you had a busy night?' The princess shook her head.  Prince Brian said, 'I can change that.' The prince took the princess' hand and they mounted his steed and rode back to his castle.  Just after they got there, the phone rang and Prince Brian and the princess raced to the hospital because a new little prince had just been born.  The princess helped Prince Brian to name his new son Prince Gus."



"Just like me?" Gus giggled.



"Uh huh," Brian said.  "Once they had named the baby, Prince Brian took the princess back to his castle once more.  The princess loved to be kissed by Prince Brian and decided to stay with the prince always. Prince Brian realized that he loved the princess and he would never have to be lonely again if he allowed the princess to stay."



"Did the princess stay?" Gus asked.



"So far."



"That's good."


"Yes. It is," Brian agreed.



"Did they live happily ever after?"


"That remains to be seen, but I think there's a good possibility that they will."



"I like your story, Dada," Gus said, yawning and closing his eyes.  Brian leaned over and kissed his cheek.



"I like your story too," Justin said coming up the steps to the bedroom.



"How long have you been there?" Brian asked.



"Long enough."



Brian tried not to blush as Justin came over to give him a big, wet kiss.  "About time you got home," Brian whispered.



Justin pulled away to give Gus a kiss, only to discover that the little boy was fast asleep.  He looked sheepishly at Brian.



"My boring story put him right out," Brian said.



"I don't know.  I found it pretty mesmerizing."



"Only you would."



Brian stood up and squeezed Justin close for another kiss.



"I smell like grease.  Let's get in the shower," Justin said.



"I've already been in there with Gus.  I'll turn into a prune."



"Let's risk it.  There are things you can do in there with me that you can't do with Gus," Justin whispered.



Brian let Justin lead him back into the shower where they had an interlude that would never appear in a book of fairytales, at least not the traditional kind of fairy tales.  Justin did his best to make up for missing the day with Brian and Gus. When they were finally finished they moved Gus to the couch and climbed into bed. Brian reached for Justin's cock and was about to start the next episode of their own bedtime story when Justin's hand stopped him.



"What?" Brian asked.



"Tell me the bedtime story that you told Gus?" Justin asked.



"Are you kidding?"  Justin's smile told him that he wasn't kidding.  "I thought you heard it already."



"I missed a bit at the beginning, and besides, I think it's going to be one of my all time favorites that I'll want to hear over and over again."



Brian smiled back at him, and while his hand gently stroked Justin's hardening cock, he began, "Once upon a time…"

Chapter 9 - Date Night by Thyme

 

Date Night

"Brian," Justin began, running his hand over Brian's chest.  They had just made love and were both sated and happy. This was one of Justin's favorite times, lying in Brian's arms, not yet ready to sleep.  It was the best time to have Brian's undivided attention and to broach subjects that were often too delicate to bring up during daylight hours. He was less likely to get a snarky retort from the man.  Often he was able to achieve exactly what he wanted if he played his cards right.



"Mm," Brian responded.  He knew this was Justin's favorite time to speak his mind.  When they were both well fucked there was less likelihood of an argument.  He knew he often gave in to Justin's requests at these times when he would never consider them otherwise.  He didn't mind though. He liked making Justin happy.



"Do you remember our date nights?"



"I thought you wanted to erase them from your memory.  Why are you bringing up that ancient history?"



"I don't want it to be ancient history.  I want to re-institute date nights."



"Are you nuts?  You told me you would never go to the baths again, or do threesomes or foursomes."



"I don't.  I didn't mean those kind of date nights!"



"And what kind do you mean?"



"The kind where we go to dinner and maybe the theater, or at least a movie."



"Muncher type dates you mean?"



Justin giggled.  "It doesn't have to be like the Munchers.  I would like to do queer dates where we spend some time together out in public."



"But we can do much more interesting things in private," Brian countered, beginning to stroke Justin's cock.



"We can do that too, but I'd like to go out sometimes to places that aren't Babylon or Woody's"



Brian looked at his lover seeing the seriousness in Justin's eyes.  "Is this one of those things that I'm really supposed to listen to, because you really, really want to do it, and if I don't listen, I'm going to pay big time later?"



"Yes."



Brian chuckled.  He had taken the habit of using that disclaimer when he thought Justin was deadly serious about something, especially about something that he personally thought was silly.  When he said it, Justin would answer simply, "Yes" or "No", and Brian would know whether Justin wanted him to follow through on what was being discussed. Occasionally the answer was no, but most of the time, like now, the answer was yes.  "Okay, where do you want me to take you for our 'date night'?"



"Surprise me," Justin said, beaming his sunshine smile at his lover.  He leaned over giving Brian a delicious kiss and running his hand up and down Brian's stiffening cock.



"Are you sure you want me to?" Brian asked.



"Why wouldn't I?"



"I don't exactly have the best track record with surprises," Brian said ruefully.



"What do you mean?" Justin asked really not getting what Brian was driving at.



Brian groaned.  "The hustler, the prom…"  He let his words hang in the air.



"Shit, Brian!" Justin said.  "You wouldn't get me another hustler, and what happened at the prom wasn't your fault."



"I'm just warning you," Brian cautioned.



Justin gave him a hasty, worried look.  "Saturday night," Justin said, "you surprise me!  I trust you."


"Okay, but don't be shocked if I screw up."



"You?  Never," Justin teased.



Justin was giving Brian's cock some serious attention now and he could feel the man's arousal growing.  Brian pulled him tight and squeezed, eliciting a grunt of satisfaction from both of them. Justin rolled on top of Brian and pressed his own hard cock into Brian's groin.  Brian thought maybe Justin was going to fuck him. He had quite grown to like that aspect of their lovemaking, but he didn't want to let Justin know how much.



However, Justin surprised him by straddling Brian's legs and reaching for a condom which he proceeded to roll onto Brian's engorged dick.  He took the lube and slathered the latex-coated rod, smiling down at Brian.



"I'm going to ride you," Justin declared grinning, "hard!"



Brian grinned back.  Justin loved to ride his cock and he was very good at it.  He had learned through much practice how to give both of them the maximum pleasure.  When he added the word 'hard' to his statement, Brian knew it was going to be something special.



Justin leaned forward kissing Brian, his tongue demanding entrance and dueling deliciously with Brian's.  At the same time he shifted his weight from his knees to his feet and squatted above Brian's throbbing dick, as he ended the kiss.  Brian reached for his cock, steadying it at Justin's pucker. He felt Justin lower his body onto the rock hard rod. When the cap of Brian's cock penetrated, Justin threw his head back in abandon.  He let out a lusty moan of such pleasure and satisfaction that it went straight to Brian's groin and the man almost came just from the sound. Justin took all of the thick shaft, sliding down gently until he was sitting on Brian's groin, fully impaled.



He just sat there for a moment or two, staring into Brian's eyes, enjoying the feeling of being filled up.  Justin had not had that many lovers, but no one ever filled him the way Brian did, not just because of the size of Brian's dick, but because he knew this was where he belonged, with this man.  



Brian gave complete control over to Justin.  He waited while the waves of pleasure at being so joined coursed through their bodies.  He knew Justin would take them on a wild ride. The boy lifted up suddenly, clenching his anal muscles and dragging himself up Brian's cock.  Brian groaned in satisfaction. Justin grinned. When he reached the point where only the cap of Brian's dick was trapped inside him, he stopped and released his muscles, sinking back down until he was fully impaled once more.



He felt Brian's hips buck up beneath him.  "Be patient," he whispered.



"That's usually my line," Brian groaned.



"I've learned from the best."



Brian smiled.  He felt Justin contract his muscles again and begin a slow, twisting slide up his dick.  He wanted to scream at the exquisite pleasure he felt as Justin rotated his hips and used his muscles to tug on his pulsing cock.  He let out a raspy groan as Justin waited at the top before sitting back down and impaling himself once more. Brian couldn't help himself; he pushed up against Justin's ass, wanting to go deeper and possess his boy totally.  Justin let all of his weight rest on Brian, not permitting him any real upward motion. He clenched his muscles again and began the next slow, excruciatingly wonderful torment of sliding himself up Brian's cock.



"Jesus, Justin!" Brian groaned rolling his head back and forth.



"Like that?" Justin asked.



"God, yes, but I don't know how much more I can take."



"Then let's move on to stage two."



Justin upped the speed with intermittent tightening and loosening of his anus.  His own control began to diminish as Brian's cock hit his prostate and jolts of pleasure coursed through him.  Brian grabbed Justin's hips and held on, to steady the boy, but also to allow him to thrust up into Justin. They gasped and groaned and moaned and called out each other's names.  Suddenly they were coming in blinding waves of ecstasy that rocked each of them to the core of their being.



Brian opened his eyes, having lost track of time and space and his name.  Justin lay on his chest breathing rapidly, eyes tightly closed. Brian could feel his dick still up Justin's ass and he was sure there was no better place for it to be.  He ran his hand gently down Justin's back. The boy opened his eyes and looked at his lover, some semblance of reality coming back to him.



"You okay?" Brian asked.



Justin nodded.  "That was something else!"



"Why do you want to go out on a date when we can stay home and do that?"



"Call me crazy, but I do."



"You're crazy, but after that I'll do anything you want."



"Hm, let me see," Justin teased, mentally making a list of all the things he had ever wanted Brian to do.



Brian could see the wheels turning.  "Are you making a long list?" he asked tongue in cheek.



"All I want is a special night every now and then, a special night with my special man."



"God, I love you!"



Justin beamed at him.  All he really wanted was for Brian to say what he just said in that genuine easy manner that happened so rarely.  Everything else was merely icing on the cake. "Maybe we can do something like what we just did, when we get back from our date," Justin said kissing Brian's face.



"Sounds like a plan!"



                                                              -----



The next day Brian decided he better make some arrangements for their date before he ran out of time.  He had no idea what would be a special night out that they would both enjoy. He wracked his brain trying to come up with something.  He knew lots of restaurants and he could pick a good one, but he knew Justin wanted to do more than just dinner. He thought of several possible activities for their date but discarded them one after the other as being too ordinary, too boring, too uninteresting.  He sighed.



"Cynthia, can you come in here for a minute, please."



She appeared at his door almost immediately.



"Sit down," he said gesturing to the chair on the other side of his desk.



"Am I being fired?" she asked only half kidding.  He rarely called her in and asked her to sit down.  He usually left her standing in front of him while he barked out in the briefest of sentences what he wanted done.  She sat rather tentatively waiting to see what he would say.



"Why would you ask that?"



"No reason.  Forget it." she said seeing that he had no intention of getting rid of her.  "What can I do for you?"



Brian gave her a quizzical look, but decided to drop it and get the information that he wanted.  "Um, are you dating anyone right now?"



"Yes … yes, why do you ask?"  She had no idea where this was going.



"If you were going out on Saturday night where would you go?"



"Excuse me?" she said puzzled by this line of questioning.



"You heard me.  Where would you go?"



"I don't know.  I think maybe we'd go to dinner.  Why?"



"Is that all?"



"Yes, if it's not a special date or occasion, that's probably what we'd do."



"Oh," Brian responded.  "Where would you go if it was a special date?"



"I don't know.  I guess we'd look in the paper and see what's playing around town, pick something from there."



"Of course," Brian smiled, "why didn't I think of that?  Do we have today's paper around somewhere?"


"There's always one in the lobby," she replied.



"Would you get me the entertainment section and bring it here, please?"



"Sure," she said looking even more confused.  She went out to the lobby and returned with the section Brian had requested.



"Thanks," he said.  "I'll let you know if I need you to do anything else."



She gave him a look like he had just stepped off a spaceship from Mars and left the office.  Brian flipped through the paper and then he saw it. That would be perfect. "Cynthia, come back in here!" he ordered.  She reappeared almost immediately. "Get me two tickets for that for Saturday night," he said pointing to an ad in the paper.  "Make them the best available."



"Okay," she said taking the paper out to her desk to do as he requested.



A few minutes later she buzzed him to say that he had two orchestra seats in Row M for Saturday night.  He could pick up the tickets at the box office beforehand. Brian smiled as he mentally made arrangements for the rest of their date on Saturday night.



                                                               -----



All week Justin dropped subtle hints about Saturday night, not wanting to ask outright if Brian had made plans and praying that he hadn't forgotten or changed his mind.  Brian refused to say anything about what he was planning. He either ignored Justin's hints or simply gave a terse non-committal answer. By Saturday morning Justin was going crazy with worry and expectation.



Brian told Justin that he was going to the gym for a couple of hours and then was having lunch with the boys.  Justin looked crestfallen as Brian made no mention of their date.



"Haven't you forgotten something?" Justin asked.



"I don't think so," Brian responded.



"Tonight?"



"What about tonight?"



Justin saw the flicker of a smile pass across Brian's face and he knew the man was teasing him.  "You shit! You're tormenting me!"



Brian grinned.  "A little bit," he admitted.



Justin put his arms around Brian's neck.  "So are you going to tell me where we're going?"



"No."



"Come on," Justin pleaded.



No."



"Well, at least tell me what to wear."



Brian went up to the closet and pulled out Justin's gray slacks and a sky blue silk sweater.  "Wear this," he said. "I'll pick you up in front of the gallery at six."



"So it's some place nice?" Justin said fishing for more information.  



"You'll see."



"Tell me more."



"No."



"Brian!" Justin whined.



"Be wearing those when I pick you up," Brian said.  "There won't be time to change afterwards.



"Are you going to tell me what we're doing?" Justin asked, hoping against hope that Brian would reveal his plans.



"No," Brian said and walked out the door to go to the gym.



Justin was slightly annoyed that Brian wouldn't tell him anything about their date, but he had told Brian to surprise him.  He sincerely hoped it was going to be a good surprise. Justin left for the gallery shortly after, carrying the sweater and slacks that Brian had selected for him carefully folded in his backpack.  It was going to be a long day wondering what was ahead.



Brian went to the gym and then had lunch with his friends.  He never said anything about the date, opting to keep their private life private, between him and Justin.  He caught Emmett looking at him strangely a couple of times, and wondered how long the man would be able to keep it quiet that he and Justin were in a committed relationship.  He had to hand it to Emmett. He had lasted longer already than Brian would have originally given him credit for. Maybe their secret was safe with him after all.



Justin had a great deal of trouble concentrating on work at the gallery.  He was thankful that it was a fairly busy day. When he was talking to potential customers, he didn't have time to think about what Brian had planned for them.



Finally at 5:45 Justin locked himself in the washroom and quickly changed his clothes.  Nobody came into the gallery thankfully, and he was able to get ready without interruption.  He wished there was a shower, but he had to make do with washing his face and hands and splashing on some cologne.  He ran a comb through his hair and decided he was presentable for wherever Brian was taking him.



Minutes after he came out of the washroom he saw the Jeep pull up in front of the gallery.  He quickly gathered up his backpack where he had stowed his work clothes. He locked the front door of the gallery behind him and climbed into the Jeep.  Brian squealed away without a word.



They only went a few blocks before Brian pulled into an underground parking garage.  Justin had looked at Brian a few times, but the man refused to return his gaze. He said nothing.  Justin realized his heart was pounding in his chest.



Brian pulled into a parking space and they stepped out.  Brian looked at Justin and smiled his approval at how his lover looked.  He took the boy's hand and led him out of the parking garage. They crossed the street and entered a French Restaurant called Chez Michel.  The maitre d' showed them to a secluded table near the back. Once they were seated and had begun to look at the menu, Justin decided he had to say something.



"This is a nice place, Brian," he began.  "Have you been here before?"



"No, somebody recommended it to me once, but I've never come here.  I thought we should experience something new for both of us."



"I like that idea," Justin said smiling at him.



Brian looked pleased with Justin's reaction to the restaurant.  He ordered a bottle of red wine when the wine steward came to their table.



"Oh Brian!" Justin gushed staring at the menu.  "They have escargots! I remember them from Emile's. They were so good.  Can I have some?"



"You can have whatever you want, Sunshine."



The steward brought their wine and poured a bit for Brian to taste.  He nodded his approval and the steward filled both their glasses. Brian picked up his glass and raised it toward Justin.  "To a pleasurable … and successful date … the first of many to come," he said and clinked his glass with Justin's.



Justin took a sip of the wine.  "That's good wine," he noted. He couldn't help but smile to himself that Brian's toast had implied that there were more dates to take place in the future.  He hoped everything went well tonight, because the possibility of going on a date with Brian every now and then was his fondest wish.



"Have you decided what you want to eat?" Brian asked.



"I think so."



Brian nodded toward the waiter and he came to take their order.  Justin wanted to try duck a l'orange after his escargots. Brian ordered a salad and filet mignon.  They chatted about what had happened to each of them during the day and thoroughly enjoyed the food.  When they had finished up the main course, Brian reached across and took Justin's hand. Justin wasn't sure what Brian was going to do.  Brian merely turned his hand over and looked at Justin's watch.



"We need to go," Brian said.



"Where?"



"You'll see."



"No dessert?"



"Later."



Brian quickly paid the bill and they headed out.  As they moved along the sidewalk, Justin put his hand into Brian's and felt the man squeeze it gently in acknowledgement.  They rounded the corner of the street and Justin saw Heinz Hall across the way. Brian headed in that direction. The sign over the front doors read "Riverdance".



"We're seeing Riverdance?" Justin asked in amazement.



"You got it."



Brian claimed their tickets at the box office and they found their seats.  The show began soon after and Justin and Brian were both mesmerized with the speed and grace of the dancers, the beat and swirl of the music, the glow and charm of the lights and costumes.  They couldn't help but tap their feet to various dances. The time sped by and before they knew it, it was intermission.



Brian took them to the lobby where they got a glass of wine and Justin gushed about how much he was enjoying the show.  Brian smiled at his youthful enthusiasm, but he had to admit that he was having a great time too.



The second half of the show went by even faster than the first.  When it was over, there was a standing ovation for the dancers. Brian and Justin joined in enthusiastically.  By the time they left the theater it was after ten-thirty. They walked back to the Jeep, Justin jabbering away about how the girls could make their feet move so fast while keeping their arms and upper body motionless.  The men moved so gracefully and leapt so high. Justin had decided that he was going to do a series of sketches based on the show they had seen.



Brian smiled, happy that he had made a good choice for their date.  They got in and Brian drove the Jeep to one of the big hotels in downtown Pittsburgh.



"Are we staying here tonight?" Justin asked.



"I hadn't planned on that," Brian said.



"Then…?"



"Wait and see."



They took the elevator to the top floor where there was a revolving restaurant.  They were seated by the window where they could watch all of Pittsburgh slowly pass beneath them.



"What do you want for dessert?" Brian asked.



Justin chose "Death by Chocolate" and Brian ordered two cappuccinos to go with it.  They sat in silence for a few minutes watching Pittsburgh slowly sweep by beneath them.



"You could almost believe this was New York or any other big city when you see it in the dark with the lights on moving slowly," Brian observed.



Justin laughed.  "Are there any more qualifiers you could add to that statement?"



"Hm, being so far above it helps too."



Justin laughed again.  "You are merciless."



"Moi?"



"I've had a great time tonight, Brian."



"Actually so have I."



"You mean it?" Justin asked earnestly.



"I mean it."


Justin beamed at him.  "So date night wasn't as horrible as you thought it might be?"


"I didn't think it would be horrible.  It's just not something I'm used to doing, and the few times I've tried it haven't been raving successes."



"A little outside your comfort zone?"



"A bit, but sometimes it's good to stretch yourself."



"I hope we can do it again," Justin said hopefully.



"That might be arranged," Brian conceded.



The coffees and cake arrived.  Justin had a big bite of his dessert and grinned with satisfaction.  "This is so good! Try a bite."



Brian opened his mouth slightly and Justin took that as his signal to feed the man a piece.  Brian ate it slowly, licking his lips to get the last crumbs. "Jesus, that has enough calories to add fifteen pounds."



"But it's scrumptious," Justin countered.



"Yeah, it is."



Justin smiled.  "Want another bite?"



"Maybe a tiny one," Brian gave in.



Justin fed him another piece, taking a big bite for himself.



"I'm going to have to give you some workout when we get home to burn off all those calories."



"I'm ready," Justin grinned devouring the last bite of his dessert.  Brian thought he looked like he wanted to lick the plate but knew better than to do that in polite company.  "Why did you pick Riverdance to go to tonight?" Justin asked out of the blue.



"Fuck, Justin, this is Pittsburgh!  It's not like I had unlimited choices."



Justin giggled.  "I realize that but why did you pick it?  There were other choices."



Brian looked thoughtful.  "I've heard a lot about it, but never seen it.  It was playing here tonight, and I thought it might be cool to get in touch with some of my Celtic roots."



"You really liked it, didn't you?"


"I did, more than I thought I would."



"Have you ever thought about going to Ireland, to visit your ancestral homeland?"



"Once or twice?"



"Really?  I think that would be neat.  Do you know where your family came from originally?"



"I think somewhere near Limerick."


"Cool!"



Brian snorted.  "They were dirt poor.  It's not like we'd find the castle they left behind."



"I know, but it would still be nice to see Ireland.  I hear it's very beautiful."



"Are you volunteering to go with me?"



"Are you asking me to go with you?"  Justin's eyes had gotten very big.



"Sounds that way."



"I'd go anywhere with you, Brian.  You know that. Ireland would be amazing."



"Maybe we should think about that for a vacation sometime."



"I'm game if you are," Justin said, refraining from screaming and shouting with joy that Brian was describing an actual vacation that they might take together.



"Are you finished with your cappuccino?"



"Yes, why?"



"Because I want to take you home and fuck the shit out of you!"


"I'm ready," Justin said giving Brian his radiant sunshine smile.  "And Brian, thanks for tonight. I've had a wonderful time."



"So have I, Sunshine.  Let's go."



When they arrived at the loft about twenty minutes later, Justin jumped out of the Jeep ready to show Brian how much he had appreciated their date.  Brian made no move to get out. Justin opened the passenger door again. "Aren't you coming?" he asked.



"I guess so," Brian said, finally making a move to leave the Jeep.



Justin looked at him worrying that something was wrong.  He took Brian's hand and they rode the elevator up to their home.  Once inside Justin threw himself into Brian's arms.



"I've been planning all night how I'm going to give you a special thank you for our date."


Brian kissed him, but not with great enthusiasm.



"What's wrong, Brian?" Justin asked, worried.



"I've been expecting something bad to happen all night, at least a flat tire, something to ruin our perfect date."



"It was perfect, wasn't it?  And nothing bad has happened."  Justin tried to reassure his lover.  He hadn't realized how worried Brian had been about the outcome of this date.  "We're home and safe and I'm ready to be fucked! What more can you ask for?"



"Nothing, Sunshine.  I have everything I'll ever need right in my arms."

Chapter 10 - Needing Space by Thyme

 

Needing Space

Justin shifted the boxes in the storage closet.  He had decided he needed some space for himself in there.  When he had come home from the gallery, he had looked at all his mess on the table and decided that it was time to rearrange some things.  Brian was in Chicago for the day on business, so he had taken it upon himself to create some extra room for his art supplies. He knew Brian detested all of his clutter on clear view for anyone who came to the loft.  The man never said anything about it, but Justin was well aware of his attitude about things being out of their place and looking messy. If Brian was anything, he was meticulous about his looks, his belongings, his loft.



He dug through the boxes to the back of the storage closet.  What the fuck was this? Justin gasped in amazement. It was his framed sketch of Brian asleep, the one with his dick clearly on display, the picture that someone had bought from the GLC the night he had first displayed his art.  Brian had bought it! Even back then when he was being so mean and aloof, turning Justin down all the time, telling him to get lost, he had cared enough to buy this piece of his art. Justin couldn't help grinning. Maybe that fairytale that Brian had told to Gus about seeing his true love under the moon the night they had met was real.  It was the same thing that he had told Trip Bedford, that he knew from their first meeting that Justin was someone special to him. This merely confirmed it.



Justin carried the picture out into the bedroom and laid it on the bed.  He would talk to Brian about this when he got home.



He went back into the closet.  There were several cardboard boxes with nothing marked on them to indicate what they were.  He wondered if he should open them and see if he thought he could get rid of some of this stuff and make more room for his own belongings.  He hesitated. He knew how much Brian valued his privacy, but Brian had never told him that he couldn't come in here, that these boxes were off limits.



He lifted one up.  It was light and he carried it easily out to the bedroom.  The flaps were merely folded in, not taped or sealed. He pried the flaps open to reveal clothes.  He pulled some items out of the box. They were nothing he had ever seen Brian wear. In fact they looked a little dated, maybe a few years old.  These could probably be thrown out or given to Goodwill. He'd ask Brian about that when he picked him up at the airport later tonight.



Another trip into the closet and another box lugged out.  This one was much heavier. He pulled open the flaps. Books … textbooks from high school and university by the looks of it.  Why would Brian keep these old things? Most of the information in them was probably outdated. This was a possible one to get rid of.  He set it down beside the box of clothes.



The next box he hauled out had been way in the back.  It wasn't too big and also was quite light. When Justin opened it, he had a funny feeling that this one was different from the others and maybe he shouldn't be poking around in its contents.  That feeling lasted for a split second before his curiosity got the better of him.



Right on top was a framed photograph, and that was what had grabbed his attention.  It was a picture of a man, a beautiful man. He appeared to be Brian's age or a little older.  He had light brown hair and violet eyes, Elizabeth Taylor eyes, Brian would have called them. He had heard Brian once say that Elizabeth Taylor had the most amazing eyes.  Justin remembered making some remark about her being old and Brian had got mad at him. Brian had rented a movie, "Butterfield 8", he thought he remembered it was called, and they had watched this gorgeous woman with the mesmerizing eyes.  When it was over, Justin had to admit that Elizabeth Taylor had fucking amazing violet eyes.



Justin stared at the picture.  He wondered who this could be. He noticed something in the bottom corner.  He moved it into better light and saw that it said, "Love always, Eamonn" written in a sprawling hand.  Who was Eamonn? He had never heard Brian mention anyone by that name. It sounded Irish. He wondered if he could be a relative of Brian's, but a relative probably wouldn't sign a picture that way.



Justin set the picture aside on the bed and looked into the box to see what else it contained.  He picked up a silver ID bracelet with the word "Brian" engraved on it. Why would Brian put his bracelet into this box and stick it in the back of the cupboard?  A sweater was next, a pale blue cashmere sweater that felt so soft to the touch. It was like handling air. He lifted the sweater out of the box to find two more items.



He picked up a book, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.  He knew that Ayn Rand was one of Brian's favorite authors.  What was the book doing in this box instead of being on the book shelf behind the computer?  He flipped open the cover. The words leapt out at him: "You are my life. Love forever, Eamonn."  This had to be someone who loved Brian and probably Brian loved him back. He had never heard of this man before.  He wondered if any of Brian's friends knew about this.



The last item in the box was a watch, a rather expensive looking watch.  He turned it over, moving it into the light to read the inscription that he knew would be there.  "To B. Love, always and forever, E."



Justin looked at the contents of the box now spread out on the bed.  He had so many questions, but he knew that getting answers out of Brian was highly unlikely.  He would probably be mad that Justin had found all of this stuff long buried in the back of a closet.  He wasn't sure what to do. He carefully laid everything back in the box and closed it up. He set it on top of the other two boxes he had carried out from the closet.



"Shit!" he said aloud as he glanced at the clock.  Brian's plane would be landing in half an hour and he was supposed to pick him up.  He debated moving the boxes back into the closet, but decided he didn't have time and he really wanted to get rid of the clothes and books.  He'd talk to Brian about this when he collected him from the airport.



About forty-five minutes later Justin pulled into the airport.  Brian had called on his cell when he got off the plane. He would be waiting on the arrivals level for Justin to pick him up.  Justin began the slow trip along the arrivals area looking for Brian. He saw him down the way, standing nonchalantly smoking a cigarette.  Justin pulled up in front of him. Brian crushed his cigarette under his shoe, tossed his briefcase into the back of the Jeep and climbed into the passenger side of the car.  He leaned over and gave Justin a lingering kiss.



"Miss me?" Justin asked.



"Always," Brian replied.  That word had a funny ring in Justin's ears as he thought about the contents of the box he had discovered.



He smiled at Brian and took off out of the airport.  Justin asked about the trip and Brian told him that he had won a new account.  He was in a particularly good mood as a result.



"I'm going to fuck you so hard!" Brian grinned at his partner.



"You weren't even gone overnight," Justin giggled.



"I'm still horny."



"You're always horny."



"True."

They smiled at each other.  This was one of the best things about their life together.  They suited each other so well in their attitudes and needs.  What one lacked the other made up for. They were the same and yet opposite and such a complex combination of ideas, emotions and beliefs.  They complemented each other perfectly.



When they arrived at the loft, Brian headed up the stairs not wanting to wait for the elevator.  He slammed the door behind them and pinned Justin against it. His kisses were insistent, caressing the boy's lips and teeth and tongue, then probing and becoming more demanding.  He pulled off Justin's shirt and ran his hands over the bare flesh that was so warm and yielding and inviting. He moaned into Justin's mouth.



"Come to bed," he ordered pulling Justin behind him up the steps.



Unexpectedly Brian stopped and Justin bumped into him.  "What?" Justin asked surprised.



"What's that?" Brian asked seeing the sketch of himself still lying on the bed.



"Oh," said Justin, "I was cleaning out the storage cupboard when I found that."



"What were you doing in that closet?" Brian asked warily.



"I know you hate my mess all over the loft and I thought if I could make some room in there, I could store some of my art supplies out of sight."



"Did you now?" Brian asked.  "What made you decide that?"

"I had nothing else to do when you were away.  Nobody here to keep me permanently pinned to the mattress," Justin joked.  "Speaking of which …"



Brian stared at him.  He looked back at the sketch.  "Aren't you going to ask why I have that and why I didn't tell you?"

"Eventually," Justin said.  He was engrossed in the process of removing Brian's shirt.



"I bought it because it showed how big my dick is," Brian said sarcastically.



"Mmm," Justin responded nibbling and licking on one of Brian's nipples.



"Did you hear me?"



"Yes."



"Aren't you going to chew me out for being so egotistical?"

"Later."



Brian allowed Justin to push down his trousers.  His stiff cock leapt free. He pushed Justin back towards the bed and they fell together onto the blue duvet.  Justin's legs came up around Brian's torso, holding the man trapped against his body.



"I want you inside me now!" Justin ordered.



"Bossy little bottom!" Brian chuckled.



He grabbed a condom and was inside his lover in one deep thrust and gasp.  They rocketed toward orgasm, pumping and thrusting and shouting out their need of each other.  When they came, time stopped for a moment and the world exploded in multi-colored light.



"Shit, Brian!  You should go to Chicago more often.  That was amazing!"



"Maybe I should try New Orleans or San Francisco."



"Whatever!  It was worth the trip," Justin stated leaning against Brian's chest.



Brian held his boy against him, running his hand over Justin's back and down to his ass.  He squeezed each perfect orb and heard Justin sigh his satisfaction. As Brian glanced up, he saw the cardboard boxes stacked against the wall.



"What are those doing there?" Brian asked, a tiny seed of fear erupting in his brain.



"They're the boxes from the closet.  I wanted to ask you about getting rid of some of them.  Then I could use the space to put some of my art stuff out of the way."

"Did you look in them?"



"Yes," Justin said honestly, studying his lover's face and not liking what he saw there.



"In all of them?"


"Yes."



"And what do you want to get rid of?" Brian asked trying to discern which boxes sat before him.



"There are clothes in one.  They look outdated, so I thought maybe we could give them to Goodwill."



"That's fine," Brian agreed.



"The other one had books, mostly textbooks.  Do you need them for something?"



"I sometimes refer to them when I'm researching a product," Brian replied thinking about the glue he had made to stick that asshole judge to the toilet seat.



"So we'll keep those then."



"Yes.  You never know when I might need them."

"Brian, why did you buy my sketch?"



Brian realized that Justin had switched the topic and avoided the contents of the last box.  His fear escalated. "I bought it because I wanted it."

"Of course you did, but why did you want it?"

"It was something you had made, and you really are a very good artist, even back then."


Justin beamed at him.  "Why didn't you let on that you had bought it?  Why did you hide it in the back of the closet?"

"I wasn't ready to let you know how important you were becoming to me," Brian said simply.  "After a while I kind of forgot about it."

"When you told that story to Gus, you really meant it that you knew I was your special someone right from the first moment, didn't you?"  Justin still wanted reassurance about that fact.



"Yes.  I don't know that consciously I could have admitted that at the time.  I was so busy fighting against the whole idea that I couldn't allow myself to even think about such a thing."

"Why was that so hard to accept?  Does it have to do with the contents of that last box?"

"What do you mean?" Brian asked, all too afraid that he knew exactly what Justin meant.



"I looked in the last box too," Justin admitted.  "Who was Eamonn?"

Justin felt Brian's body stiffen against him, and the next thing he knew Brian was gone.  He had leapt from the bed and was pulling on jeans and a t-shirt.



"Brian?" Justin said.



The man ignored him and went down the steps having donned a pair of sneakers.  Justin could see him grab his keys from the counter and he was out the door as Justin called his name in one last futile attempt to get him to stay.



                                                               -----



Justin had been sitting in the living room for two hours.  He was slowly going out of his mind. He had figured that the contents of that box were going to cause a problem, but he had hoped that he and Brian had come far enough to avoid this kind of outcome.  Brian was able to talk to him about most things now, and hadn't walked out on him in months. This time had been worse, if anything. Brian had said nothing, just left. He hadn't yelled at him or used their old words of warning "Work in Progress".  He had merely left without a word or a backward glance.



As the hours ticked away Justin became less and less sure that Brian would come back at all.  He had tried Brian's cell phone again and again, but it was shut off. By two in the morning Justin was ready to scream.  He didn't know what to do. He couldn't call Lindsay or Michael at this hour of the night.



Suddenly an idea hit him.  He picked up the phone and called a cab to pick him up at the loft.  While he waited for it to arrive, he rifled through Brian's drawers to find some cash that he could use for what might turn out to be a lengthy cab ride.



Ten minutes later he was in the back seat of the taxi heading towards the destination he had given the driver.  As they drove along the river, Justin's heart leaped. The Jeep was parked where he had thought it might be, near the bench where they had first begun to find their way back to each other.  He asked the cabbie to stop and paid him off, hoping that he and Brian would be going back to the loft together in the Jeep.



Justin half slid down the slope to the river in his haste to get to Brian.  He could barely make out his back as he sat staring out at the water. When he came up to the bench, he stopped, suddenly unsure what to say or do now that he had found his lover.



"Took you long enough to get here," Brian said.



"What…what do you mean?" Justin asked.  Had Brian been waiting for him all this time?

"I thought you'd figure out where I was … only sooner."

"You wanted me to find you?"


"I always want you to find me."

"Oh, Brian!" Justin gasped and wrapped his arms around Brian half sitting in the man's lap.  "Why did you take off like that?"



"I couldn't talk about that box.  I'm not sure I can even now."



"You don't have to if it's too painful," Justin conceded.



"I may have to take you up on that, even if I want to tell you about it."

"I can wait.  I really didn't mean to snoop.  I found it by accident, just like the sketch."



"I know.  I had almost forgotten that the box was still in the closet.  It's ancient history."

"Can you tell me who he is?" Justin asked.



He saw the pain flash across Brian's face.  "He was someone I knew a long time ago."

"He's beautiful."



"Yes, he was, very beautiful … in some ways."

"I meant physically."

"I know … but there other things besides physical beauty."



"Like what?" Justin asked interested to hear Brian's answer to that question.



"Like truth and strength and integrity."



"Didn't he have those?" Justin asked knowing that these were important traits to Brian and he wouldn't have mentioned them in this context unless they were lacking in that beautiful man.



Justin felt Brian turn his face away.  He tried to make eye contact with the man, but he wouldn't look at him.



"I can't do this now.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to," Brian whispered.



"That's okay," Justin said firmly.  He took Brian's chin and gently forced it around so that Brian had to look at him.  "All you have to do is tell me to butt out. You don't have to run away from me."



"I know that intellectually.  It's just that when something like that takes me by surprise, I have to get away, be alone, think."

"I understand."



"Can we go home now and put that box away until I can deal with it."

"Yes."



Brian took Justin's hand and they climbed up the bank to the Jeep.  "We have come a long way," Brian said giving Justin a kiss on the cheek.



"Yeah, I knew where to find you, and you're coming home with me without a fight."



"And you're not pushing too hard.  You're giving me some space until I'm ready to deal with this."



"I hope you're prepared to fuck the rest of the night away," Justin said.



"That goes without saying," Brian responded.



As it turned out they didn't fuck at all.  They lay in each other's arms, unspoken thoughts and worries heavy between them, but safe in the knowledge that they were together whatever might come.



                                                            -----



For the next week neither mentioned the box or the effect it had had.  Brian went to work and Justin did his shifts at the diner and gallery. The meaning of the contents of the box remained a secret.  However, it hung between them like a huge weight ready to crush them when it finally fell.



Justin had talked to Michael, casually bringing up the name Eamonn.  From Michael's reaction he was pretty sure that he knew nothing about the man or his relationship with Brian.



More disturbing was Lindsay's reaction.  When he had asked her if Brian had known a man named Eamonn, she had turned even paler than normal and said that Justin would have to talk to Brian about that.  She had refused to say anything more about it. Justin didn't like the implication that this was something so serious that it could never be discussed.



During the week Justin carefully studied Brian.  He seemed to have returned to his old self, sarcastic and egotistical, but there was something different too.  Justin would catch him staring off into space when he was supposed to be watching television or working on the computer.  Justin could tell he was in a different place and time at those moments. He wondered if Brian was reliving his experiences with Eamonn.  He was very sorry that he had found that box and made Brian face again whatever had happened with that man. It couldn't have been pleasant from everyone's reaction.



Justin had promised Brian that he would back off and he did his best to keep that promise.  Aside from mentioning the name to Lindsay and Michael he did nothing else. He never brought it up with Brian; instead he hoped that eventually Brian would broach the subject himself.  It seemed that they needed to discuss it before either of them could lay it to rest.



When Friday rolled around Brian told Justin that he wanted to go out when he got home from work.  He said they could go to dinner, then Woody's and eventually Babylon. They didn't go out nearly as much as they used to, so this would make a nice change in their routine.  Justin hoped it would help Brian relax and either forget about that box and its contents or hopefully decide to talk to him about it.



They had a nice dinner, played a bit of pool at Woody's and arrived at Babylon to find Ted and Emmett at the bar.  They said they were meeting Michael and Ben who should be there any time soon. Ted and Emmett seemed really happy together to everyone's amazement, and there was genuine good will that it seemed to be working out for them.



"Hey, Brian!" Michael gushed when he and Ben arrived.  "Good to see you guys out for once."

"Are you implying I'm a stick-in-the-mud?" Brian snorted.  "We just have other things to do."



"Wanna dance?" he asked Brian.



"You're on," Brian said leading the way to the dance floor.

Justin watched them as they started to move together.  He knew that Brian always found solace in being with Michael if he was sad or upset.  Michael gave him such unconditional adoration and support.



"The dynamic duo," Ben said, "just like Rage and Zephyr."



"Yeah," Justin agreed.



"We haven't seen much of you two lately."



"Things have been a little … hectic."

"Hectic?  Are you sure it isn't something else?" Ben asked.


"What do you mean?"



"Michael told me you were asking him about someone named Eamonn."



"Oh?" Justin said not wanting to give away anything more.



"Is this something to do with Brian's past?"

"I … I really can't talk about it," Justin stammered.



"Sure," Ben agreed, "but knowing Brian, it's probably something he should talk about."



"I think so too," Justin admitted staring at Brian on the dance floor.

"Hey, boys!" Emmett said returning from the restroom.  "Did you hear that Tad Benson was in a horrible car accident?  He didn't make it. Dom will be devastated."



Dom was one of the dancers at Babylon.  Justin knew him a bit from his brief stint working there.  Dom and Tad had been together for a few months. "Shit! That's awful," Justin said shocked that someone his age had died.



Just then Brian and Michael came back from the dance floor.  Brian took one look at them all and asked, "Who died?"


Justin blinked.  "Dom's lover, Tad Benson."

"What?" Brian gasped.  "I was kidding."

"I just heard he was in a head-on car crash," Emmett explained.  "Killed instantly."

Justin glanced at Brian and saw a look of torment cross his face.  He had only seen the man look like that once before … in the parking garage when he had tried to help Justin remember the bashing and had relived it himself.


"Come on, Brian," Justin said taking his hand and leading the man away.  "See you later," Justin called to get them out of there without anyone asking questions that Brian would be unable to answer.



"What the hell was that all about?" Justin heard Ted ask as he and Brian made their way out of the club.



"Brian?" Justin said.  The man made no response, just allowed himself to be led out the door and over to the Jeep.  Justin half pushed him into the car and got into the driver's seat. "Brian?" he said again. There was no response.  He started the car and drove as fast as he could to the loft. He knew that Brian was in some kind of crisis and would not want anybody to see him in this state.  He just hoped that he could help the man once they got home. "Brian?" he said once more, again to no response.



Once inside the loft Justin sat Brian down on the couch.  Brian looked almost catatonic making no visible sign that he knew where he was or what had happened.  Justin took Brian's chin in his hand and turned the man's head to face him.



"Brian, look at me," he said softly.  When there was no response, he tilted Brian's head back so that his eyes were level with his and said sternly, "Brian!  Listen to me! Look at me and listen to me!"



Brian's eyes flickered for a moment seeming to recognize Justin.  The man let out a groan, a sound so tortured that it tore Justin to the core.

"Jesus, Brian, what the fuck is going on?"



Arms came up around Justin's chest and he felt Brian hold him in a viselike grip that took his breath away.  He could feel Brian's silent sobs and decided the best thing he could do was to sit silently and hang on for as long as Brian needed to do this.



Justin wasn't sure how long they sat like that, but at some point Brian's body stopped sobbing and he merely clung to the younger man not ready to release him.



Finally Justin said, "Brian, talk to me, please."

He felt Brian's grip relax a little bit and the man let out a long sigh.



"I'm sorry," Brian whispered.  "I don't know why I did that."

"Maybe because you needed to.  Fuck, Brian! Don't lie to me … and to yourself.  Tell me what's going on."

"I just had a bout of temporary insanity.  I'm fine now."

"Don't do this!" Justin shouted.  "You're not fine! Don't shut me out again.  I know I said I wouldn't push, but after what just happened, we have to talk about this."

The pain in Brian's eyes was clearly visible but he stared into Justin's blue ones like he was searching for something only he understood.  Justin waited. Brian hadn't refused to talk and he could wait till the man was ready. He just hoped it would be soon.



Finally Brian sighed and shook his head.  "I don't know if I can do this."

"Brian, I've seen you at your best and your worst and I love you either way, and everything in between.  I was here through what just happened. What makes you think I can't stand whatever you might tell me?"



"That's not what I think, Justin.  I know you're the strongest person I've ever met, and I love you for that.  It's me. I'm afraid if I talk about this, I'll break into a million pieces and nothing will ever put me back together again."



"Now you're really scaring me!" Justin said not sure what to say or do.  "But please tell me. Knowing has got to be better than not knowing … and I think you need to talk about it," Justin said remembering Ben's admonition.



"I need a drink," Brian said.



"I'll get some Beam, but I'm not letting you get too drunk to talk.  I want you to tell me what this is all about." Justin got up and went to the kitchen for a bottle of Beam and a couple of glasses.  He was sure he was going to need a few drinks too before this was all over. "Here," Justin said, handing Brian a glass of the bourbon.  Brian downed it in one gulp and held it out to be refilled. "Take it easy," Justin cautioned, but he did refill the glass.



Brian took a smaller sip and sighed once more.  "Are you sure you're ready for this?" he asked Justin.  "There's going to be a huge mess to clean up when I'm finished."



Justin wasn't sure what kind of a mess Brian was talking about, but he prayed he would be able to handle the fallout.  "You keep telling me I'm so strong. I guess we're going to find out if that's true." He gave Brian the best smile he could muster.



"We can still call this off," Brian offered trying to avoid this for both of them.



Justin shook his head.  "Just start," he ordered softly.



Brian began, sipping at his drink to fortify his resolve, "That box in the closet is where we need to start."



"Oh," said Justin, "I thought this was about Tad's death."



"We'll get to that," Brian said.  He polished off what was left in his glass and set it down on the coffee table.  "I'll try to tell you the whole story."



Justin nodded.  He took it as a good sign that Brian had set down his glass and not asked for any more liquor.



"Eamonn," Brian said with a grimace, "was my English professor the last year I was at Penn State.  He taught the romance novels of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. And if you can believe it, I actually signed up voluntarily for that course.  Does that tell you where my head was back in those days?"

"And your heart too," Justin felt compelled to say.



Brian glanced at him, but chose not to respond to that statement.  "I knew he was gay the first time I walked into his class. My gaydar was pretty good even back then.  Plus, he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen. He would have been about the age I am now or a little older.  He came from a family that had money, but he loved the academic life. He was a good teacher, not just a professor. I loved his class, and before long I was sure I loved him too."  Brian stared off into space for a minute, remembering.



"After a couple of weeks of his classes, I felt like he had some interest in me too, so I stayed behind after class supposedly to ask him about the significance of Jane fucking Austen in the global scheme of things."  Brian gave a little chuckle, and Justin smiled at him.



"Did you gain some new insight?" Justin asked.



"I don't know about insight, but I had a cock up my ass before the day was over.  I sure learned some things about how to fuck. He was one helluva lover. I was still relatively inexperienced and he taught me so much.  I was so fucking in love with him that I could barely see straight."



Justin grinned at Brian's use of that word.



"We began to spend every minute together that we could manage.  We rarely went out, since our relationship would have been frowned on both because it was homosexual, but also because it was professor-student.  We fell more and more in love during that semester. We declared our undying love for each other and swore to be together forever." Brian grimaced.



Justin remembered all the things in the box that said 'always' and 'forever'.  He was surprised that Brian was admitting his love for this man. He wondered what had happened to their great love.



"Eamonn taught me a lot about sex as I said, but also about culture and clothes and manners.  As you may have figured out, I didn't get much of that from my fucking family. Gradually he began to take me shopping with him and to plays and cultural events away from the university.  As the semester drew to a close, I was applying for jobs all over Pittsburgh. I could hardly wait to graduate, get a job and find an apartment to share with Eamonn. We could build our life together."  Brian sighed.



Justin had never heard Brian talk like this, even about their relationship.  He couldn't help it, but he was jealous, even though he knew he shouldn't be.



"I got a job with the Ryder Agency, and I thought I was on my way.  Eamonn seemed pleased for me, but what I didn't know was that he was seeking a job at UCLA.  He wanted to go to the warmth of California and a more prestigious university. A few days after I graduated, he told me that he had been offered a position at UCLA and he was going to take it."  Brian snorted. "At first, I thought he was joking, but it soon became clear that he was serious. He hadn't even told me about it or asked what I thought before he applied."



"What did you do?" Justin asked.

"I asked him my least favorite question of all time 'What about me?'  Can you guess what he said to me?" Brian asked.



"Something like 'It's your call where you want to be.  You decide.'" Justin parroted Brian's words to him about his own choice between Brian and Ethan.



Brian was surprised at that.  He still regretted how that had turned out and could hardly believe that Justin had reminded him of it.  "No," he said, "nothing like that. He begged me to come with him. He said I could find a job out there and he could support both of us until I found one."



Now Justin was surprised.  That was the opposite of what he had expected.



Brian continued.  "I had just started at Ryder and I really liked it.  I knew it would be much harder to get a job in California, especially with no experience.  I asked him not to go, to turn down the job. He, of course, refused. He really wanted that job.  We tried to reconcile what we could do to make each of us happy. We wanted to be together. Anyway, Eamonn decided to take the job, I decided to stay with Ryder and together we would try to carry on a long distance relationship.  What a fucking disaster that was!"



"What happened?" Justin asked.



"He stayed in Pittsburgh with me till the term began at UCLA, and then he left.  I thought my heart would break in two when he got on that plane, but he had sworn his undying love and so had I.  He had given me all those tokens of his affection that were in the box. They proclaimed our love that would last forever."



"Why did you keep them?" Justin asked.



"To remind me … to remind me that love is a lie and words are lies.  Like I needed fucking proof of that!"



"So what happened?"



"I was here, heartsick and pining away for my great love," Brian said sarcastically.  "Two weeks into the new semester he calls me to say that he's met someone, a teaching assistant, and they have fallen in love."



"Oh, Brian," Justin whispered.  "That must have killed you."

"It almost did.  Then I wanted to kill him, for making me suffer such pain.  Then I wanted to forget. Drugs and alcohol and fucking are good for making you forget … for a split second or two."  Brian's face revealed some of the intense pain he must have felt during that time.



"So he hurt you, but you got over it.  It's done and gone," Justin stated.



"Unfortunately that's not all of the story."



"There's more?"



Brian nodded and Justin caught a glimpse of that same look on his face that he had seen at Babylon and in the parking garage of his prom.  Brian sucked in a breath. "A month or two went by. I'm not really sure how long it was, but a while. The phone rang one night and it was Eamonn.  He sounded kind of messed up himself. I wasn't in much better shape. He told me that he had made a big mistake with his new lover. He realized that he didn't love him; he still loved me."



When Brian paused, Justin asked, "Were you happy that he wanted you back?"



Brian took a long drink from the Beam bottle.  To hell with a glass. Now he was getting to the really shitty part.  "My heart leapt in my throat. I still loved him. You know how first loves are?" Brian said sadly, staring into Justin's blue eyes.  "He begged me to come out there and I almost said I'd go, screw my job and my new apartment. But something stopped me. I asked him how I could be sure he wouldn't find someone else before I got there."



Justin snorted.  "You are a sarcastic son of a bitch, aren't you?"



Brian snorted and let that pass without comment too.  "He swore his eternal love, that nothing or no one would ever come between us again.  I wanted that to be fucking true, but I had those same protestations written on most of the items in that box, and he had already left me once.  I couldn't let him destroy me like that again. I told him he better find someone else. He kept telling me there was no one else for him. I thought he was going to rip me to shreds if I heard that once more from his lips.  Finally I hung up. I had to leave the phone off the hook, because he kept calling back. I changed my phone number to an unlisted one the next day and I didn't hear any more from him for a couple of weeks."



"Did you think it was over?"



"I guess so, but it didn't really feel finished.  Anyway, about two weeks after that I got another phone call from him.  I wanted to know how he got my number, but he wouldn't tell me … never did find out.  He had driven across the country; apparently he'd left his highly sought after job to come back to me.  He was on the outskirts of Pittsburgh at a truck stop. He wanted to know if I was still in the same apartment, because he was on his way to see me.  I told him he should turn around and go back. The whole thing sounded so crazy to me. Even if I still loved him, I wasn't sure I could stand the roller coaster ride.  All the fucking things he said had already turned out to be untrue."



Brian took a long drink from the bottle of Beam.  "I can't …," he moaned.



"Brian, what happened that's so terrible?  Please, tell me."

The haunted look in Brian's eyes turned cold and he said, "All right, but remember that you asked for it."  Another shot of Beam and he began, "So he begged and cried and I wanted him to stop. I wanted him to leave me alone.  I had been in pain, but this made it a hundred times worse. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I told him not to come to the apartment because I wouldn't let him in.  I said he had finished it when he found someone else, and he could always find another fucking someone else. I hung up on him."



"Was that the end of it or did he show up at your place?" Justin asked.



"I waited, half expecting him to arrive at any moment.  I dreaded it, because I truly felt we would destroy each other.  He had hurt me too much. I knew I couldn't trust him anymore. He had lied to me.  Anyway, hours went by and he never came. About two in the morning the downstairs buzzer began ringing.  Someone was leaning on it. I thought it must be him. When I couldn't stand the noise any longer, I pressed the intercom and someone said it was the police."



"The police?" Justin asked.  "Oh, no." Justin dreaded what he would hear next.



"Oh, yes.  They found his car slammed into an abutment on the Interstate.  My name and phone number were on the seat next to him. They had come looking for me to help them get in touch with next of kin."



"He was dead?" Justin asked in a very small voice.



"As a fucking doornail!"



"Brian," Justin whispered, shocked that Brian would talk about the man he had loved like that.



"But you haven't heard the best part, Sunshine.  There were no other cars involved and there were no brake marks.  He offed himself by driving into the fucking concrete wall at eighty miles an hour."



"Shit!" Justin groaned.  He reached for Brian, but the man pushed him away.



"Don't touch me!  Just fucking leave me alone!  Go to your mother's for tonight.  I can't stand being near anybody!"

"But I'm not anybody.  I'm not leaving you," Justin declared.



"I swear, Justin, if you don't go now, I'll fucking leave and I might never come back."



"Brian, don't say that."



"Please …" Brian's voice faltered.  "Please let me lick my wounds alone.  You could come back in the morning," Brian conceded.  "Take the Jeep if you want, but just go!"



Justin was torn.  He wanted to comfort his lover, but Brian was so raw and ripped open right now.  He decided he better do what the man asked. "If I go, will you promise not to do something stupid?" he had to ask.



"I won't off myself like Eamonn, if that's what you're worried about."



"I'll be here early in the morning Justin promised and quietly closed the loft door behind him.  He hoped he was doing the right thing leaving Brian alone.



Brian heard the click of the loft door behind Justin and he started to shake.  He felt cold and miserable and exposed. He hunched into a ball and curled his legs up into a sitting fetal position.  He rocked back and forth and moaned his pain. This was what he didn't want Justin to see – his weakness, his vulnerability and his guilt.  It was too much to bear.



Justin called his mother on his cell phone and asked if he could spend the night.  She had questions, but he begged her not to ask them. He said that he and Brian were all right.  They just needed some space from each other for the night. He would go back to the loft in the morning.  He hoped all these things he said were the truth. He felt cold and scared deep down inside.



                                                                -----



At six in the morning Justin pushed back the door to the loft.  He had spent a mostly sleepless night, although he supposed he had dozed fitfully every now and then.  He had been so worried about Brian. When the first rays of light broke the horizon, he got up and drove back to the loft.  He was very afraid of what he might find.



He closed the door behind him, not seeing any signs of his lover on the couch.  He walked towards the bedroom trying to see through the partitions if Brian was there.  When he reached the steps, he looked at the bed to see Brian staring back at him.



"Surprised to find me in one piece?" Brian asked ruefully.



"Yeah," Justin had to admit.



"Told you I wouldn't kill myself."



"Did you get any sleep?"



"No."



"Me either," Justin admitted.  He noticed a cardboard box sitting on the floor next to the bed.  He was sure it was the one with the remnants of Brian's life with Eamonn contained inside.



"I had enough strength to open the box and look at the contents," Brian said.



"That's good," Justin encouraged him.



"But I couldn't bring myself to touch them."

"Oh," Justin responded.  "Did you want to look at them more closely?"



Brian looked from Justin to the box and then back at the young man's eyes.  "I think so," he said in a barely audible whisper.



"Do you want me to help you?"



"Yes," again barely audible.



Justin walked over to the bed.  He removed his clothes because Brian was naked.



"Going to fuck me first?" Brian asked, breaking the tension a little bit.



"If you want …"



"Let's get this over with first," Brian said pointing to the box.



Justin lifted it up onto the bed and set it between himself and Brian.  "Are you sure you want to do this?" Justin asked.



"No…" Brian said in a small voice, "but let's get it over with."

Justin pulled out the sweater which he had put on top when he repacked the box.  It still felt heavenly. "This is like air," he said handing it to Brian.



Brian touched it tentatively, then took it into his hands and pressed it against his face.  "He gave me this when he was teaching me about style. He had very expensive tastes and a wonderful feel for clothes.  He made me appreciate the finest of things."



Justin smiled at him to encourage him to continue.  He picked up the photo of Eamonn from the box. Brian looked at it but seemed reluctant to touch it.



"I wish I could remember him like that," Brian said.



"Why can't you?" Justin asked.



"The police took me to the morgue to make positive identification of the body.  His face was so smashed up I could hardly tell it was him." He rubbed his fingers across his shell bracelet and closed his eyes.



Justin winced hoping he would never have to do something like that.  "He had beautiful eyes," Justin said.



"Elizabeth Taylor eyes," Brian whispered.



"That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the picture."



Brian tried to give him a little smile but it was more like a twisted grimace.  Justin laid the photo on the bed and took out the watch. He handed it to Brian.



"Did you ever wonder why I never wear a watch?" Brian asked.  When Justin nodded Brian said, "Eamonn was a time freak. He was never late and he hated people who kept him waiting.  He gave me that watch so that I would always be on time if I was meeting him. I don't think I was ever late for him. After … I took it off, and I decided that time wasn't that important to me anymore."



Next Justin lifted out the book.  Brian took it and opened the flap to read the words he knew so well.  He closed it with a snap and dropped it on the bed. "Aren't you going to say anything about it?" Justin asked.



"Why?  It's just another example of his hypocrisy!"



"Oookay," Justin responded.  He pulled out the ID bracelet.  This was the one that really puzzled Justin.  "Did he give you this too?" Justin asked.



"No, I bought that myself with my first paycheck.  I liked it, so I bought it." He was rubbing the shell bracelet again.



"So why is it in the box?" Justin asked.



"When I identified Eamonn's body, they gave me the envelope of his effects.  The bracelet was in it. I had given this to him just after we first met. I got it from a street vendor and debated about whether he would wear it.  He actually liked it which surprised the hell out of me. I gave the rest of his stuff to his parents when they arrived, but I kept the bracelet. When I packed up this box, I dropped my bracelet in and put this one on to remind me never to trust words of love and promises of forever.  I vowed never to be hurt like that again. That's when I decided that I believed in fucking not love. I never loved anyone again … until you."



Justin stared at Brian trying to comprehend what he had just been told.  Finally he said, "He had such a profound effect on your life. It explains so much about you."



"Explains why I'm an asshole and treated you like shit for so long.  I couldn't … no … I wouldn't allow myself to love you. I was too afraid where love led.  I didn't want you to end up like Eamonn."

"And that's why you sent me with Ethan?"



"Yes.  Partly.  I didn't feel that I deserved you.  I might destroy you just like … him.



"You don't still believe that, do you?"



"I … I … I don't know."



"Well, you fucking well better know!" Justin declared.  "I'm not stupid like he was. I let you push me away once, but that will never happen again."



"I love you," Brian whispered.  "It took me so long to say that to you, because all the times I heard it from Eamonn were lies.  It didn't mean anything when the going got tough. I tried to show you I loved you. Actions speak much louder than words."



"I understand that now, but it's still nice to hear the words every now and then."



Suddenly Brian had Justin in his arms.  He swept the box and its painful contents off onto the floor and crushed Justin beneath him.  "I love you," he whispered again, "and I'm going to show you how much."



"I love you too, and if you never said it again, I'd know it was true as long as I had your arms around me."



They spent the night demonstrating with their actions how much they loved each other.  Neither said the "L" word again that night, but each knew to the core of their being that they were showing the other one the strength and integrity and truth of their earlier declarations.

Chapter 11 - Monkey Crap by Thyme

 

Monkey Crap

"Monkey crap!"



Justin dropped his portfolio and knapsack and armload of books at the loft door.  He knew he would never be able to open it holding on to everything. It had been all he could do to get home with all of this stuff.  The summer was half gone and he had to start thinking about and getting ready for his return to class. He had been to PIFA to pick up the course syllabus for most of his classes and had bought a few books that he thought might be hard to get hold of later on.



It had been a struggle to get all this stuff home on the bus, but he had managed to get this far.  He really needed a car, but he knew that was only a dream. He had saved a bit of money from his two jobs this summer, but the few books he had just bought had already eaten a sizeable hole in that amount.



He finally got the door open and began hauling his load inside.  He had gotten off early from the gallery so that he could go to the IFA, but it had taken him longer than he thought.  He looked at his watch, realizing that Brian would be home soon. He should have had dinner started an hour ago.



He kicked his knapsack through the doorway and looked at the pile of crap he had lugged home.  Now he needed to put it away. The last thing he wanted was Brian tripping over his mess when he came into the loft.



He slid the door closed and stared at the pile in front of him.  A sigh escaped his lips as he leaned against the door. He was tired and a bit fed up, a lot fed up!  His plan to work two jobs over the summer was wearing him out. He seemed to do nothing but work. He wanted life to be simpler and easier.  Brian was a mess right now and had very little time for him. When they had some time together they seemed to be on tenterhooks, afraid of making the other one mad, or else openly fighting.  It was wearing him down.



His back slid down the door and he found himself sitting on the floor leaning against the cool metal.  He didn't have the energy to get up and go put this stuff away. He closed his eyes and thought about how he wanted his life to be.  This wasn't it.



After awhile, he wasn't sure how long; he heard the drone of the elevator through the closed door and knew that Brian would be there in a minute.  He pushed himself away from the door, but didn't get up. Brian slid back the door.



"What the fuck is all this?" he asked.



"I picked up some stuff from the IFA today," Justin explained wearily.



"Why are you sitting on the floor?"



"I just got home and I didn't have the energy to go any farther."



"And you're what … nineteen?"



"Fuck off!  I'm tired!"



"So am I.  What do you want …sympathy?"



"I obviously came to the wrong place for that!" Justin said sarcastically.



"Damn right you did!"



Brian stormed up the steps to the bedroom.  Justin could hear him taking off his clothes and rifling through the closet for something more comfortable to wear.



"Double monkey crap!" Justin muttered leaning back against the door and closing his eyes once again.



"Are you going to sit there all night like some homeless person on the street?" Brian asked stepping down from the bedroom.



"If I want to." Justin retorted.



"Suit yourself."  Brian grabbed his keys from the counter and took hold of the loft door where Justin was leaning.



"Where are you going?" Justin asked.



"Out!" said Brian shoving the door back and almost knocking Justin over.



"Brian…" Justin began, but the man vanished down the stairs before Justin could question him any further.  "Triple monkey crap!"



Justin leaned his head back against the door and closed his eyes.  He wished all of this would disappear and he could go back to the days when he first returned from New York and he and Brian had been happy.  He had tried to do a good thing by taking on his two jobs, and certainly Jane was pleased with his work at the gallery. Brian had been against him trying to work two jobs and things had gone downhill from there.



Jack's funeral and Brian's reliving of the death of Eamonn had shaken the man on some unspoken level.  He remained quiet and drawn into himself, unless he was openly hostile. Justin had tried to get through to him, but Brian wouldn't let him in.  Brian had said there would be a mess to clean up, but this wasn't the kind of mess he had thought the man meant. How do you clean up someone's psyche?  How do you make a damaged life whole? He never thought he would admit it, but he was sick of trying.



Justin felt a tear roll down his cheek.  He was too tired to really cry, but this wayward drop symbolized the despair he was feeling.  He took a deep breath and pushed himself up. He kicked his pile of junk back into the corner, closed the loft door and began taking off his clothes.  He was going to bed, and Brian could go fuck himself. He was done trying to fix things.



                                                                 -----



Justin awoke to the unmistakable urge to piss.  He threw back the sheet and headed for the bathroom, only half conscious that the rest of the bed was unoccupied.  Once he finished peeing he turned back to the bedroom and took full note of the empty bed. He looked at the clock to see that it was after two a.m.  He had slept for over six hours already. That meant that Brian had been gone that long. Where the fuck could he be?



Crawling back into bed, Justin was determined to go right back to sleep and not worry about where his lover might be.  He tossed around in the bed unable to find a comfortable spot. Gradually he realized that sleep was not going to return any time soon.



As the clock inched its way closer to three a.m. Justin threw back the sheet and got up.  He walked into the living room and looked out the windows to the street below. Had he and Brian made another mistake?  Was it impossible for them to be in a committed relationship, hell, in any kind of relationship? He had thought they were happy for a while, but that never seemed to last.  What was he going to do?



Justin sighed.  When he and Brian had got back together, he had decided that he wasn't going to let things fester between them.  If he wanted something, he was going to ask for it. Maybe it was time to put his money where his mouth was. He had to confront Brian about what was going on.



The loft door jerked back and Justin whirled around in time to see Brian stumble through the doorway.  The man turned and slammed the door behind him. He dropped his keys on the counter and began to weave his way towards the bedroom.



"Where have you been?" Justin asked.



"Been waiting up for me like a good little wife?" Brian asked drunkenly.



"Shut up and tell me where you've been!" Justin snarled.



"How can I shut up and answer you at the same time?"



"You're oh so clever when you're drunk," Justin retorted.



"I'm going to bed," Brian stated and turned towards the steps, swaying rather unsteadily.



"Not till you answer me!" Justin declared moving close to Brian and getting in his face.



"Back off, Sunshine!  We can do this later."



"No, we're doing it now!"


Brian sighed.  "I went to the diner, to Woody's and then to Babylon, and now I'm home to the loving arms of my one true love," Brian said in a sarcastic slur.



"And how many backrooms did you visit in those fine establishments?" Justin asked with his own quota of sarcasm.



"Enough!" Brian snarled.



"And what happened to our committed relationship?"



Brian ran a hand across his eyes.  "I don't want to do this now," he sighed.



"You don't want to do what, answer the question or be in a committed relationship?  Well, I don't care what you want. I want some answers. What the fuck do you think you're doing?  What kind of a relationship do we have?"



"A fucking miserable one at the moment!"



Justin recoiled at Brian's words.  He wasn't sure what to say. "Do you think it's … that bad?" he asked softly.



"Yes!" Brian snapped.



Justin turned away and walked back to the windows.  He stared out not wanting Brian to see how much his words had hurt him.



Brian watched his lover and knew he had been terribly cruel.  He didn't mean to fight. It seemed that lately he couldn't help doing and saying things that hurt Justin.  He seemed to be lashing out all the time. Everything felt wrong.



"Justin," he said softly, sobering up enough to stop careening into total self-destruction.  "I went to the backrooms, but nothing happened."



"Yeah, sure," Justin responded still staring out the window.



"I mean it.  I walked around and looked, but I didn't touch."



Justin turned back to face him.  "You mean it?" he asked.



"I mean it.  I told you that we are in a committed relationship and I don't intend to fuck that up."



"Even if it's … miserable?" Justin asked, using Brian's word to describe what was happening between them.



"Even then.  I still want only you."  Brian grimaced. "But I have to get away from you sometimes.  Things have been so tense lately, and I know it's mostly my fault, but I can't help it."



"Are you telling me that you have been faithful since New York?"



"What do you mean?  Of course I have."



"What about after Jack died?  You said you were in the backroom of Babylon that night."



"I was, and I had my dick out ready to be sucked, but I remembered how far we had come and I shoved it back in my pants and came home to you."



"But you said there were lots of willing mouths and you made use of them."



"There were lots of willing mouths.  There will always be lots of willing mouths.  You thought I had used them and I was angry at your lack of faith in me, so I let you think that I had gotten sucked off."


"You bastard!"



"I almost let you think the same thing tonight," Brian admitted.



"And why didn't you?"



"Because … because I could see I was hurting you and I don't want to do that.  I know I'm to blame for creating this mess we're in."



"What mess is that?" Justin asked wanting Brian to articulate what was eating away at him.



Brian frowned.  He was far too sober now for this conversation, but something told him he needed to say it and Justin needed to hear it.  "The mess I told you you'd have to clean up after you found out about Eamonn."



There it was – out in the open, rising up between them like the megalithic giant they both knew it was.



"I don't think I can clean up this mess," Justin admitted slowly.  "I'm tired, Brian. I can't do it anymore." He looked sadly at his partner.  Neither spoke for a moment not knowing what to say to make things better. Then a thought hit Justin.  Brian probably wouldn't like it, but he was going to say it. "Maybe you, or we if you want, should go talk to Frank."  Justin remembered how much Dr. Frank Jamison had helped them when they had first gotten back together after Ethan. Justin had been having those awful nightmares.



Brian stared at him, not speaking for a minute or two.  Justin could see that he was thinking.



"Do you think I'm that much of a mess?" Brian asked.



"Look at you!  Look at us! We do nothing but fight, even when we don't want to.  I'm worn out. I can't do it anymore, and I'm not sure I even want to."



"Fuck!  I didn't think it was that bad.  I know I'm a bitch to be around, but I can't seem to help myself."



"Which is why we need to go to someone who can help us," Justin explained softly.  He felt like maybe he was starting to get somewhere with this obstinate man.



"I don't know," Brian began, not wanting to admit things were so bad.



"Come to bed, and promise me that you'll at least think about it," Justin pleaded.



"Okay," Brian said grudgingly.  "Can I fuck you? I got all horny watching the guys in the backroom and not getting any for myself."



"When have I ever turned you down?" Justin asked.  He was hopeful that maybe some sessions with Dr. Frank could help them.  This idea was the best thing that had happened in a couple of weeks.



                                                               -----



Two days later they sat in the waiting room of Dr. Frank Jamison's office.  Brian fidgeted and rolled his eyes. Justin knew he didn't really want to be there.  The last time they had gone to Frank it had been his problem with nightmares that had brought them there.  Brian had been willing to go in order to help Justin. Seeking help for himself was an entirely different matter.



Frank opened the door and a man left.  Dr. Frank called Brian and Justin in. "It's good to see you two again.  What's it been, almost a year since you were last here?"



They nodded and Frank indicated they should sit in the two chairs across from him.  He noted their silence. Something was obviously wrong.



"So what can I do for you?" he asked getting right to the point.



Brian kept his eyes on the floor.  Justin looked at him and sighed. "We seem to be fighting all the time.  It's like we can't stop ourselves," Justin explained.



"Oh?" Frank replied.



"He's being kind," Brian began.  "I've been a fucking mess for a couple of weeks, maybe longer.  I keep lashing out all the time. I can't stop myself."



"Why do you think you're doing that?" Frank asked.



Brian shook his head and remained silent.  Justin looked at him asking silent permission to explain.  When Brian said nothing, Justin began. "About a month ago one of Brian's co-workers had a heart attack at the office and died."



"Why are you starting there?" Brian asked.



"Do you want to tell this?" Justin snapped.



"No," Brian responded.



"Then let me continue."  Brian turned his eyes back to the floor and Justin went on.  "After that Brian was very upset and withdrawn, but he eventually seemed to come out of it.  Then I did something I shouldn't have." Brian glanced up, but said nothing. "I cleaned out a storage closet and found a box that brought back some very painful memories for Brian.  Ever since, we have been fighting and hurting each other."



"Why did you say that you shouldn't have cleaned the closet and found the box?" Frank asked Justin.



"Well, look what happened as a result!  We fight, we snipe at each other all the time.  I'm worn out trying to deal with Brian's sullenness and withdrawn state."



"And how is that your fault?" Frank questioned.



"We wouldn't be like that if I had stayed out of that closet."



"Don't you think at some point it would have surfaced?"



"Maybe," Justin admitted slowly.  He always liked how Frank could see through to the real problem without placing blame.



"So Brian," Frank turned to the older man.  "What do you have to say about this?"



"Nothing."



"Not good enough."



"What do you want to know?" Brian sighed.



"For starters, what was in that box?"



Brian grimaced.  He didn't think he could talk about it again.  He remained silent, eyes on the floor.



"Brian, do you remember when you came here the first time with Justin?"  Frank waited and finally Brian nodded. "Justin didn't want to be here and I asked him why he didn't just leave.  I'm asking you the same thing now."



"I … I can't leave.  We need help," Brian said softly.



"Don't you mean you need help?"



"Yes," Brian whispered.



"Then you have to talk to me, or I can't help you."



Brian sighed again.  "I'll try."



"What was in that box, Brian?"


Brian looked at Justin, seemingly wanting the younger man to explain for him.



"Don't say any more, Justin," Frank ordered.  "This is Brian's story and until he can tell it, we're not going to get anywhere."


"I don't know if I can," Brian whispered.



"I know that you can," Frank said.  "You've obviously told Justin, and that's what has gotten you into this mess.  Now you need to tell me."



Brian sighed again.  "I told Justin there would be a big mess to clean up after we went through that box, and I'm afraid it will be an even bigger mess if I go through all this again."



"But this time I'll be here to help you clean it up.  Justin will have some help."



Brian looked at his partner who did his best to give a smile of encouragement.  "All right," Brian said, "you asked for it. The box contained all that remains of the only other man I have ever loved.  It brought back all the bad memories and made me remember things I had pushed so far away that I thought I would never have to deal with them again."



As usual, Brian had gotten to the heart of the matter in as few words as possible.  "So what you're telling me is that the contents of that box made you relive a terrible time in your life, and now you're making Justin pay for opening that can of worms."



Brian's head snapped up.  He looked questioningly and then angrily at Frank.  "What do you mean?"



"Exactly what I said."



"You think I'm punishing Justin?"



"Well aren't you?"



"I … I didn't mean to," Brian looked confused.



"I'd say you're doing a pretty good job of punishing yourself as well."



Now Brian really looked askance at Frank.  "What are you saying?"



"I don't know who this other man was, but obviously he hurt you on some very deep level.  I think you feel guilty about something too, and you're taking out that guilt on Justin and yourself."


Brian's mouth hung slightly open as the import of Frank's words sunk in.  He knew the truth of them. "Fuck!" was Brian's verbal reaction.



"Does that mean I'm right?" Frank asked.



Brian did not answer.  Both Frank and Justin stared at him.  Suddenly Brian stood up and walked out of the office.  They both stared in shock as he disappeared through the door closing it quietly behind him.  Justin stood, wavering between going after his lover and wanting to talk to Frank about what had just happened.



"Should I go after him?" Justin finally asked Frank.



"Do you usually?"



"Sometimes, but he often tells me that he needs some time alone when something unexpected hits him between the eyes."



"Is that what you think just happened?"



Justin nodded.  "I don't think he ever thought about his actions punishing me, and certainly not that they were punishing him.  He felt he couldn't stop lashing out, but he didn't really know why he was doing it."



"How have you been handling all this?" Frank asked.



"Not very well.  I've been trying to get him to talk to me, but he has become so inward and closed off since the night he revealed the meaning of that box."



"So when he won't talk to you, what do you do?"



"I…I try to give him space and not bug him too much.  He hates it when I push."


"It must be hard for you living with the uncertainty of his reactions."



"Actually, that's why we're here.  I told him I didn't think I could do it anymore.  I've been so tired and worn down lately. He's not easy to deal with."



"That's the understatement of the year!"



"You mean it's not all my fault because I don't know how to handle this situation?"



"Justin, is that what you've been thinking?  Because that's wrong. It's nobody's fault. Brian feels how he feels.  You can't change that. You can only try to help and bringing him here was a step in the right direction."



"Do you think so?  He just walked out on us."



"From what you've said, he left because we were getting too close to the truth, too near the bone."



"Yeah … maybe.  I'm not sure what he'll do now."



"Neither am I."



"You mean you don't know what will happen?" Justin asked glancing nervously towards the door.



"No, but I know from past experience with Brian that there is no point beating around the bush.  He will have to deal with the truth eventually, and he appreciates not having his time wasted. He's going to be a 'mess' for a while, but he might as well confront it immediately as drag it out."



"What can I do for him?  I'm at the end of my rope.  Nothing seems to help."



"Whether you know it or not, he draws a lot of strength from you."



"I don't seem to have much strength right now," Justin admitted sadly.



"That's because you have been beating your head against an immoveable object.  Why don't you stop trying to fix things and just be with him? He needs to lean on you.  Leave the fixing and analyzing to me."



"Really?  You think that's all I need to do?"



Frank nodded.  "Support him and hold on to him."



"I can do that," Justin said brightening noticeably.



"Good," Frank said with a smile.



"But how do we get him to come back?"



"I think he will, once he's had time to digest what I threw at him."



"I hope so," Justin said.  "Should I fill you in on what was in the box and how it affected Brian?"



"No, I think Brian needs to tell me that himself.  It obviously is something very profound in his life."



Justin nodded.  "I think maybe Brian should see you by himself next time."



"Suggest that to him when he seems more agreeable, but if he wants you here for moral support, then you should be."



"Okay," Justin agreed.  "Thanks, Frank. I should go see if he took the car and I have to take the bus home."



Frank chuckled.  "Sounds like that has been something you've had to deal with before."



"Once or twice," Justin smiled.  "I feel better, even though I'm not so sure about Brian."



"Well then, something good came out of today," Frank said rising and shaking Justin's hand.



                                                                 -----



Justin walked along the sidewalk towards the spot where they had left the Jeep when they went in to see Dr. Frank.  He fully expected to find an empty parking space or at least no sign of the car. When he neared the area where they had parked, he could see that the Jeep was still there, and it looked like someone was sitting in the passenger seat.


He smiled.  Brian hadn't run so far this time.  He walked around to the driver's side and climbed in.  He could see the keys in the ignition. Brian stared straight ahead, not acknowledging his presence.  Justin looked over at the man not knowing whether he should speak or not.



After a minute he said, "Are you all right?"



"No."



Where do you want to go?"



"Home."



"Okay," said Justin and turned on the car.



They drove to the loft in silence.  Justin wasn't sure what he should do, but he would try to be there and support Brian however he could.  Once in the loft Brian sat down on the couch. Justin sat beside him, waiting. Finally he reached over and put his hand on Brian's thigh.



He heard the man sigh and then hazel eyes stared into his.  "I'm sorry," Brian whispered.



"Sorry's bullshit!" Justin responded, using Brian's own words.



"No," Brian said.  "Sometimes sorry means that I am really sorry.  I didn't even know that I was punishing you."


"It's all right," Justin said softly.



"It's not all right.  I hate hurting you. I don't know why you put up with me."



"I love you."



"But that almost wasn't enough.  You said you didn't think you could do this anymore," Brian managed to get out.  "I can't lose you … again."



"I'm not going anywhere.  I talked to Frank after you left.  He said he would help us. I just can't do it all by myself."



Brian stared into Justin's eyes.  "Do you think we can get back to where we were?"



"I don't know about that.  I think that we need to go forward, hopefully to a better place."



"I don't know if I can rehash this fucking nightmare again," Brian groaned.



"I'll help you, and Frank will help you.  We'll both be there."



"You mean it?" Brian asked.



"Yes."



Brian's arms came around Justin's slender frame and held him close.  "You won't leave me?"



"I won't leave you …" Justin promised.  He almost had said that he wouldn't leave him like Eamonn had, but he had stopped himself in time.  He was beginning to realize the parallels between his relationship with Brian and Brian's with Eamonn.  No wonder the man was so frightened.



Brian held on, refusing to release Justin from his grasp.



"You will go back to see Frank, won't you?" Justin asked.



"I guess so.  I hope I can do it."



"You can do it."



"I'm glad you have faith in me."


"I do."


Brian sighed and rested his head against Justin's shoulder.  They stayed that way for a long time. When Brian finally relaxed his grip, he knew he would try to do this, for Justin and for himself.

Chapter 12 - Work Me Over by Thyme

 

Work Me Over

Brian sat in Dr. Frank's waiting room.  At his feet was the infamous box. He had agreed to see Frank again, and had decided at the last minute that he would bring the box.  If he found it too hard to talk about the contents, at least Frank would be able to see them.



The door to Frank's office opened and someone left.  Brian hardly noticed these events. He was fixated on the box.  He couldn't take his eyes off it, but he didn't want to touch it.  Suddenly he felt Frank's hand on his arm.



"Brian," Frank said calmly, "I've called your name twice.  Are you coming in?"



Brian looked up and stood immediately.  He bent over and reluctantly picked up the box, following Frank into the office.  Brian sat in his usual chair and placed the box on the other one that Justin usually sat in.



"You came alone," Frank noted.



"Yeah."



"Any particular reason?"



"I think Justin's been through enough.  I got the feeling he thought this would work better if it was just you and me."



"Your instincts are good, as always.  He told me as much before he left last time."


"I…I shouldn't have walked out on you like that," Brian said.



"There are no locks here.  You can do whatever you want."



"I know, but you can't help me if I'm not here."



"Does that mean you're asking for help?"



"Yes."



"That's good.  Now maybe we can get somewhere."



"I sure as fuck hope so."



"Don't sound so defeated, Brian.  We haven't even started."



"I guess I feel like there is nothing that anyone can do."



"Why?"



"It's all from so long ago.  I thought it had gone away, and now it's all back."



"Is this the box that caused all the trouble?"



Brian nodded.  "I thought if I couldn't talk about it, you could at least look at it."



"You'll talk about it, Brian," Frank said levelly.  "You need too."



"How do you figure that?"


"Look at the hold it has over you.  The only way to break that is to face it and talk about it."



"I don't know," Brian said shaking his head.



"Trust me on this, Brian."



"Okay, doc.  I'll have to hope you know what you're doing.  So where do we start?"


"We could start with the box, but Justin seemed to think this had something to do with the death of your co-worker."



Brian made a face.  "About a month ago one of my assistants died at work, right in front of me in fact."



"And that shook you up?"



"Wouldn't it shake anybody up?"



"Yes."  Frank waited.



"I kind of lost it for a week or two."



"Lost it how?" Frank asked.



"I felt like it should have been me.  Jack, the guy who died, was actually a bit younger than I am.  He was married with a daughter about the age of Gus. He has a lovely wife and was a church-going good man."



"So you, the hard-nosed atheist deserved to die instead of him?"



"Something like that."



"How did you get through it?"



"With help from Justin and his friend Daphne."



"I don't think I've heard you mention Daphne before."



"She's Justin's friend from high school.  She's studying psychology and sort of set him straight about pestering me and trying to make everything better.  She also realized that I was 'facing my own mortality' as she called it."



"Sounds like a smart girl."



"She is.  Justin calls her the president of my fan club."



"Does she have a crush on you?"



"Not really … well maybe.  I do like her a lot and I think she likes me."



"It's good to have friends that can help."


"Yeah.  Anyway I sort of got over that, then Justin found the box.  We agreed to put it away and not discuss it until I was ready.  I thought that might be never."



"You hoped?"



"Exactly.  But then an acquaintance of ours was killed in a head-on car crash and everything came pouring back into my mind.  That's when I kind of went off the deep end. I really scared Justin, and finally he forced me to tell him what was the matter."



"So it was a whole combination of events that led up to you revealing the significance of the box."



"I didn't want to.  I warned Justin that there would be major fallout, but he pushed me to tell him.  Everything has been awful ever since."


"Do you know why this has affected you so much?"



"It's about the person who made me the way I am and the events that destroyed everything."



"Destroyed everything?"



"It might be easier if we opened the box and I told you what it represents."



Frank smiled.  That was exactly what he wanted Brian to do.



"I…I have trouble touching these things," Brian admitted.  "Could you take them out and I'll tell you about them?"



"If that's how you want to do it," Frank agreed.



They spent the rest of the session with Frank removing item after item and Brian telling him much the same things he had revealed to Justin.  Somehow they managed to get through it all. By the end of the hour Brian looked exhausted, but he had managed to hold it together.



"I think we should stop there, Brian.  I'd like you to think over what you told me today and see if you've left anything out.  Do you think you could come back tomorrow afternoon? You look like you need a break now, but we also need to deal with this as soon as possible."



"I guess I could come tomorrow, if you think that's best."



"I do.  I'll see you then," Frank said placing the items back in the box.  "Do you want to take it with you?"


"Can we leave it here?  I don't know if we'll need to look at these things again, but I don't want to be carrying them around."



"That's fine, Brian.  I'll put them in the closet until tomorrow."



"Thanks, Frank."



"Brian, you did really well today.  Go home to Justin and get some rest."



"Why?  Are you going to work me over real good tomorrow?"



"Maybe," Frank chuckled, glad to see some humor from Brian.



"I can hardly wait," Brian said with some of his old sarcasm.



                                                                 -----



When Brian arrived home, Justin had a lovely dinner all ready.  He had managed to get away from the gallery in time to have it cooked and waiting for Brian.  Neither man said much after a perfunctory greeting. They sat down and Brian kind of picked at his meal.  Justin was hungry and ate quite a bit.



"Do you want to tell me what happened with Frank?" Justin asked, wanting to know why Brian was even more quiet now.



"There's not much to tell.  We went through the things in the box and I told him what I already told you about them."



"Did you get to what happened to Eamonn?"



Brian's face screwed up in pain at the memory.  "I thought we'd save that piece of fluff for tomorrow," Brian said sarcastically.



"You're going again tomorrow?" Justin asked, deliberately ignoring the sarcasm.



"Frank seems to think I need immediate care."



"That's good, I guess," Justin offered.



"What's good about it?  He thinks I'm unable to last a few days till the next appointment."



"Brian, I'm sure he just wants to get to the heart of the matter as soon as possible."



"Sure, Sunshine," Brian said.  "You think that if you like." Brian pushed his mostly uneaten food away.  Justin took that as his signal that dinner was over.



"Are you tired?" Justin asked.



"A bit."



"Want to go to bed?  We could get some exercise and then call it an early night."



"You trying to make it all better with sex?"



"Yes," Justin said honestly.



"It's worth a try," Brian tried to joke.



Justin appreciated the effort at humor.  There had been so little of that lately. He moved around the table and sat in Brian's lap.



"I love you, you know.  I'm glad you agreed to go talk to Frank.  I want everything to be all right again."



"So do I."



Justin began kissing across Brian's face, finally stopping at his mouth with a deep and sensuous kiss.  He could feel Brian's cock stiffening under his ass. He continued with the kiss, at the same time opening Brian's shirt and running his hands over Brian's bare chest.  He heard the man groan and knew he was getting to him.



"Come to bed," Justin ordered, standing and pulling Brian towards the bedroom.



They quickly got rid of their clothes and knelt on the bed facing each other.  Cocks were already at attention, but Justin was enjoying the kissing and he continued to caress Brian's lips and tongue with his own tongue.  They moaned their satisfaction and wrapped their arms around each other to get as much pressure in the kiss as they could.



"You are a wonderful kisser," Brian gasped as they ended the kiss so that each could get some air.



"I had a good teacher," Justin grinned.



Brian smiled at him and pulled him into a luxurious kiss of his own.



"Make love to me, Brian," Justin requested.



Brian laid him down on his back and continued the kiss.  He moved it down Justin's neck, across his shoulder and down to his nipples.  There he sucked and squeezed using lips and fingers. Justin moaned. Brian's mouth continued its journey down to the navel where it licked and nipped at the hole.  He followed the trail of blond hair down to the pubes where he nuzzled his face and drew a gasp from Justin. His hand gently took the straining cock, his thumb running across the slit.  Justin moaned again.



Brian pushed Justin's legs up and buried his face between his thighs.  He sucked on the boy's balls until he felt Justin grab his hair. He backed off at that and turned his attention to Justin's pink little pucker.  It seemed to blink up at him in anticipation of what was to come. He dove in, his tongue licking and pressing in. He felt Justin arch his back and heard the groan.  His tongue darted in and out and Justin's cries grew louder.



"Please, Brian, please, fuck me!"



Brian donned a condom and pressed in.  Justin was always tight and that initial opening always made him gasp.  Brian loved that sound. He knew that Justin belonged to him when he heard it.  He pressed in the rest of the way and stopped. Justin opened his eyes and looked at this man who was so strong and so messed up, but who he loved beyond words.



Brian began to pump slowly and deeply rotating his hips and finding Justin's prostate.  He went so slowly that Justin thought he would explode. Brian refused to touch his cock and every time Justin reached for it, Brian pushed his hand away.  Sweat beaded on both their bodies, Brian continuing to pump and Justin meeting each thrust. They both moaned and panted as Brian continued his rhythm.



Justin's reactions were becoming more frantic.  Still Brian refused to allow contact with his cock other than when their two bodies slammed together.  Justin was calling out Brian's name, pleading and begging and exhorting his lover to finish him off.



Justin felt his balls rise up and knew he was going to shoot at any moment.  He screamed Brian's name and came with a force he had seldom achieved.



Justin's scream sent Brian over the edge.  Jolts of electricity radiated from his groin and he unloaded into the condom as Justin's tight hole contracted around him.  "I love you," he moaned as the last of his orgasm swept through him. He slumped down next to Justin gasping, covered in sweat, but feeling better than he had in weeks.



They lay still for a minute or two, trying to breathe normally.  Brian felt Justin turn and begin wiping the cum off his chest.



"Thank you," Brian whispered.



"For what?"



"For that, and for being here, and for sticking with me when I've been so shitty to you."



"You're welcome," Justin replied, pulling Brian against him.  "I love you. I want it to be like this, not the way it has been lately."



"That's what I want too," Brian admitted.



"And we'll get there with Frank's help," Justin said.  "Let's sleep," he yawned.



They woke in almost the same position when the alarm went off, still pressed against each other.  It was the best night's sleep either of them had had in quite awhile.



                                                                  -----



Brian arrived at Frank's office the next day, dreading the part of the story he was going to have to tell.  He slumped down into the chair in front of Frank's desk.



"Did you get some rest last night?" Frank asked.



"I slept very well actually," Brian stated.



"Glad to hear that.  Are you ready to tell me the rest of the story of you and Eamonn?"



"If I have to."



"You do," Frank said.



Brian grimaced but began to tell about Eamonn leaving him and then trying to come back.  He managed to tell Frank about the police coming to the door before he began to sob silently and couldn't continue.



"What happened to him, Brian?  You need to get it out."



Brian sucked in a breath and yelled, "He drove his fucking car into an abutment at eighty fucking miles an hour!"



"I see," Frank said gently.



"You see?" Brian screamed.  "You don't see anything! I had to go see him and make positive ID when he was hardly recognizable.  Fucking prick! I thought he was smarter than that!"



"So do you blame him or yourself?" Frank asked.



"Both!" Brian retorted.



"He made that choice, Brian.  You didn't."



"But he made it because of me."



"Do you think you would have been able to take him back?"



"No, of course not, that's why I told him not to come to the apartment."



"Then what could you have done differently?"



"I don't know.  Talk to him?"



"Great talker that you are, that was not really in the realm of possibility, was it?"



"Probably not, but I should have tried."



"Where is his responsibility in this?  Isn't he the one who left you, who devastated you, who made all the promises and then broke them all?"



"Yes, but nobody deserves to be dead because of broken promises."



"Maybe so, but I think you did what you needed to do for your own self-preservation.  He wasn't strong enough to do the same."



Brian stopped at Frank's last statement and stared at the man, seeming to gauge the truth of what he had said.  "Maybe that's the trouble, Frank. I survive, fucked up piece of shit that I am, and people like Eamonn and Jack and Tad don't make it.  I don't understand."



"I know you think religion is a crock of shit, but that's the kind of question that all religions try to answer.  Only some sort of faith or belief in karmic fatality can explain why one person lives and another dies."



"Philosophy 101," Brian said skeptically.



"Man has always looked for answers, even where none are possible."



"That's when we invent God and religion."



"Yes.  We need something bigger and more powerful than ourselves to help explain the universe and its injustices."



"At least you call them injustices.  There sure are a fucking lot of them."



"You know, you're always saying how Justin tries to fix things, but it hasn't escaped my notice that you do more than your fair share of the same thing.  You take on blame and try to control everything. It must be very tiring."



"It is," Brian admitted before he really realized what he was saying.  He could feel himself blush and looked up sheepishly at Frank.



"It's all right, Brian.  I won't tell anybody."



"Thanks, doc."


"Did you think about whether there was anything you had forgotten to tell me yesterday?"



"Like what?" Brian asked.



"Brian, surely it hasn't escaped your attention that there are a lot of parallels between your relationship with Eamonn and Justin's with you."



"Don't go there, Frank," Brian warned.  "They're not the same at all."



"I beg to differ.  They are very similar.  I think it's the outcome that worries you more than the similarity."



"No!"



"You can deny it all you want, but it's there and it's something we need to deal with."



"I don't think so."



"Well I do.  I want you to come here again tomorrow."


Brian groaned.



"And I want you to think about what I just said, because that's what we're going to talk about tomorrow."



Brian stood up.  He was debating telling Frank to go fuck himself and never coming back.  Frank's voice interrupted his thoughts.



"You can tell me to fuck off.  I can't make you come back tomorrow, but I think you're smarter than that.  I think you're smarter than Eamonn. See you tomorrow."



Brian walked out of the office without saying anything more.



                                                                 -----



Brian went home wondering what he was going to do.  He knew he couldn't go back to see Frank and talk about Eamonn's choices and his death in the same context as Justin and himself.  It wasn't the same. It couldn't be the same.



Justin was waiting for him when he got to the loft.  He had another lovely dinner ready. Brian wished he hadn't bothered.  He didn't feel like eating and he felt even less like talking. He knew that's what Justin would want to do when they sat down at the table.



"I'm going to bed," Brian said abruptly, ignoring the dinner laid out in front of him.



"Aren't you hungry?" Justin asked.



"No, I'm tired."



"Was it a hard session?"



"Don't … just don't," Brian warned.



Justin kept the rest of his questions to himself.  "Want some company?" he offered instead.



"If we don't have to talk."



Justin nodded and they retired to the bedroom for some basic and not overly satisfying sex.  Brian was holding back, preoccupied with what to do about his next visit with Frank, and Justin was too worried to really enjoy what they were doing.  Once they finished, Justin curled up against Brian vowing to himself not to say anything. They lay like that for quite awhile, neither inclined to sleep but drawing some comfort from the closeness of the other.



"Do you think your relationship with me is like my relationship with Eamonn?" Brian asked out of the blue.



Justin wasn't sure how to answer that.  "I've thought about it," Justin said carefully.



"You have?"  Brian asked pushing Justin far enough away so that he could look into his eyes.



"Yes."



"Do you think they're the same?"



"No, but I do see some similarities."



Brian grimaced and pulled Justin close.  "We couldn't end up like that, could we?" he whispered.



"I don't think so," Justin said softly.



"Jesus, that's what Frank wants to talk about tomorrow."



"So, talk about it."



"I can't."



"Yes, you can.  You can do anything you want to.  Do you want me to come with you?"



"I haven't decided if I'm going?"



"What?  You can't stop now."



Brian closed his eyes.  He wasn't sure why he had brought this up, but he had wanted to see if Justin had recognized the similarities, when he had refused to admit them himself.  He wished he had kept his mouth shut.



"You will go, won't you?" Justin had to ask.



Brian kissed him instead of a verbal reply.  He didn't know what he was going to do. He didn't want to talk about this with Frank, with Justin, with anyone.  All he wanted to do was wipe that possibility from his mind. He began to work his magic on Justin's body. It was going to be a long sleepless night, so he would have to fall back on sex to get him through it.  Either that or blow his brains out.



                                                                 -----



Brian stood in front of the building which housed Dr. Frank Jameson's office.  He looked up at the banks of windows, undecided about whether he could make himself go through the door.  He had managed to get this far, but a part of him was screaming for him to turn and run. He didn't want to face what he was afraid Frank was going to dig into.



His thoughts went to Justin.  The boy had told him to go to this session.  He seemed to think Brian needed to get this out.  None of them realized how hard he had worked to keep it in, to keep it secret.



The Jeep was down the street.  He could turn around and get in it and go home.  But Justin would be there waiting to see how things went.  How could he explain to the strong young man that he was such a coward?



He took a breath and pushed open the door.  He was already late, but he willed himself to get in the elevator and go up to the office.  Frank was in the waiting room when he entered.



"Brian, I'm glad you came.  I was beginning to worry."



"I almost didn't," Brian replied.



"I know.  You've always been very punctual before.  Come on in."



They went into the office, assuming their usual seats.



"I really am glad you made this decision.  I think it's very crucial that we examine your relationship with Eamonn and now the one with Justin."



"Why?" Brian asked.



"Why do we need to examine it?"



"Yes, why?"



"Don't you think both relationships are integral parts of your life?"



"Yes, I guess so, but one is long gone and has nothing to do with Justin."



"What if it does have some bearing on Justin?" Frank asked gently.



"It doesn't!" Brian said vehemently.



"We might come to that conclusion, but we might not.  Can't we look at it objectively and see?"



"That's not possible.  I can't be objective about Eamonn or Justin.  I don't want to do this."



"If you don't, you are probably going to go back to sniping at Justin, and maybe drive him away."



"How can you say that?  You don't know!"



"I know what brought you here, and if we don't get to the heart of it, then it will most likely cause the same problems again."



Brian sighed.  "Fuck!" he muttered.



"I didn't say it would be easy, but it is necessary."



"All right," Brian said slowly, "but I may walk out on you again."



"I'm a big boy.  I can take it."



"I wish I was."



"That's a strange thing to say.  Don't you think you're a big boy?"



"Lindsay tells me that Justin is light years ahead of me in emotional development.  Even Justin says that he's the most mature person I know. I'm an emotional baby and I've surrounded myself with people who keep me that way."



"Really?"  Frank was surprised at this revelation from Brian.  "I certainly don't know your friends and how mature they are, but you seem to have made quite a good life for yourself all things considered.  If you're such a baby, why does a fine young man like Justin stick with you?"



"Excellent sex!" Brian replied tongue in cheek.



Frank chuckled.  "I'm sure that's part of the equation, but I can't believe that's all Justin sees in you."



"He is a bit of a masochist where I'm concerned.  Whatever I do to him, he comes back for more."



"Except with Ethan."



"Yeah, but even then he agreed to come back."



"And you've been together ever since?"



"Yes, even though Justin went to New York for five months.  We managed somehow."



"Not many relationships could stand a separation like that.  You must be doing something right."



"Maybe," Brian said, thinking that over.



"You give your love carefully, Brian, but when you do you are very fierce about it.  Is that what you're afraid of? That somehow having given your love to Justin he will let you down again, like Eamonn did?"



"Yes … maybe … no, I'm afraid I will let him down.  I'm the Eamonn in this relationship."



"Why, because you're the right age to be him?"



"Partly, but also because … I … I've …" Brian stopped and stared at the floor unable to continue.



"Can you finish that thought?" Frank requested.



Brian shook his head.  "I … I …"



"Please, Brian, this is important."


"I'm like Eamonn because I tried to kill myself."



"You did? When?"



"My thirtieth birthday.  I thought my life was over.  I didn't want to get old, so I tried scarfing.  I could easily be dead right now if Michael hadn't caught me.  Maybe it would be better if I was."



"What's scarfing?" Frank had to ask.



"You put a scarf around your neck like a noose and jack off.  Drugs enhance the intensity. It's supposed to be the fucking greatest orgasm of all time and if you collapse and hang yourself, you go out blissfully happy."



"Jesus, I never heard of that before."



"You obviously don't hang out with the right crowd."



"I guess not.  Did you really mean to kill yourself?"



"I'm not exactly sure.  I didn't care if I died, but I didn't really think about it too much."



"To paraphrase your own words, 'nobody deserves to be dead just because they were seeking the ultimate orgasm'."



Brian gave a cynical chuckle.  "But isn't that the parallel you were looking for between me and Eamonn – that we both tried to off ourselves, only he succeeded."



"How could I be looking for that when I didn't even know you had done it?"



"Oh?"



"There are other less dramatic parallels."



"Like what?"



"That's what I want you to tell me."



"Can't you just say it and save us both a lot of time?"


"I need you to do this for yourself."



"I don't know what you want me to say," Brian sighed.


"The contents of the box were all declarations of love in one way or another," Frank began.  "They scare you because of what they represent. That's where the parallels lie."



"What?  In a fucking cashmere sweater?"



"Interesting that you chose that one first," Frank observed.



"Why?  It's how Eamonn taught me about …"



"Stop at taught!" Frank ordered.



Brian stopped and Frank could see him mulling over his words and searching for the connection.  Literally the light went on. "I'm Justin's teacher like Eamonn was mine." Frank nodded. "He taught me about sex and I taught Justin."



"Aren't there lots of other things that were taught as well?"



"Yes, style and standing up for yourself and going after what you want.  But … and there's a very big but … I tried to teach Justin to avoid some of the things that I had faced.  That's why I never told him I loved him, why I never made promises I couldn't keep, why I forced him to go away from me to grow up on his own."



"It's all the same, Brian.  You were teaching Justin the truths as you know them.  Don't you think Eamonn was doing the same thing with you?"



"No, he fucking lied to me!  He lied about his love! He betrayed me!"



"Didn't you do the same thing to Justin in reverse?  By refusing to admit that you loved him, you drove him away and nearly destroyed both of you.  Isn't that just as bad?"



"No!" Brian yelled.  "No! No. No. No … no … no, no, no."  What started as a yell became a whimper and then a groan.  Brian bent over in abject misery, clutching his gut, as the truth of Frank's words cut to his core.



"Brian, I just want you to realize that you and Eamonn were doing what you thought was best.  The results can't always be predicted. Neither of you meant things to turn out badly. We do what we have to do, what seems right at the time.  We do what we have learned to do based on past experiences that we have either accepted or rejected."



Brian remained bent over.  Another moan escaped his lips.



"Brian, I'm not trying to hurt you.  I just want you to understand …"



Frank didn't get to finish that statement.  Brian stood suddenly, wheeled around and bolted from the office.



"Brian!" Frank called after him, but to no avail.  Frank slumped down in his chair. He hoped he hadn't pushed too far this time.

Chapter 13 - A Chance Encounter by Thyme

 

A Chance Encounter

Justin bolted upright.  Somehow he had managed to doze off.  He had been dreaming about Brian running away and he was chasing him, but he could never get any closer no matter how hard or how fast he ran.  He realized he was panting from the exertion in his dream. He looked at the other side of the bed knowing it was empty, but needing to verify that fact.  He sighed. Where could Brian be?



Dr. Frank had called just as Justin got home from the gallery.  He said that he had had a particularly difficult session with Brian and the man had left in the middle of it without saying a word.  He wanted Justin to bring Brian back to his office when he came home. The only problem was that Brian never came home.



Justin waited until midnight and when Brian had not appeared, he had gone looking for him.  He had already tried Michael and Lindsay, and Brian had not seen or called either of them. He had checked the backrooms at Babylon and Woody's, but no one had seen him in either of those.  He had once again taken a taxi to their bench by the river, only to find it empty. He was sure then that Brian didn't want him to find him, at least not yet.



He had called Frank to tell him that Brian was missing.  Frank was worried too, although he wouldn't tell Justin what they had been talking about that had sent Brian into the land of the lost.  He still wanted Justin to call him as soon as Brian appeared, any time of the day or night. Justin knew then that it was really serious.



Finally he had gone home to wait.  At three in the morning there was still no sign of the man.  Justin had gone to lie down, exhausted from worrying. That must have been when he fell asleep.  Now it was seven in the morning and still no Brian. He wondered if Brian would go to work. Soon Cynthia would be in and he would call her.  He didn't know whether he should go to work himself, or stay at the loft and wait for Brian.



He got up and had a shower.  Once that was done he called Brian's office.  Cynthia was already in, but there was no sign of the ad exec.  Justin told her that Brian might not come in today, but if he did she had to call him and let him know.  He tried to keep the rest of what was going on to himself, but he knew that Cynthia was familiar enough with Brian's habits to know that he never missed work without an explanation.  She didn't press for information, but Justin realized by her serious tone that she knew something was very wrong.



He decided to go to the gallery and hope that Brian surfaced either at work or the loft sometime during the day.  There wasn't much else he could do.



                                                                 -----



Brian groaned and rolled over.  He was alone in bed he realized.  But this wasn't his bed. Where the fuck was he?  He tried to force his alcohol laden brain to function.  He looked around and vaguely remembered checking into this hotel.  He had been driving around after he escaped from Frank. He groaned at the thought.  He had seen a liquor store and stopped for a bottle of Beam. This hotel had been across the street, so he had decided to take a room and drink himself into oblivion.  He knew he couldn't go home. He didn't know if he'd ever be able to go home.



He picked up the bottle of Beam and noted that he had truly emptied it last night.  He supposed he had fallen into an alcoholic stupor, because he sure felt rotten. Now he needed another drink.  The digital clock beside the bed said it was two o'clock. Morning or afternoon, he wondered? It was light outside the window, so he must have pissed away the whole night and most of the day.



Work!  Shit! The thought shot through his brain, but then he groaned and shut his eyes.  They'd have to get along without him for one day.



He rolled over and realized he smelled.  He had slept in his clothes and he could only imagine how he looked.  Dirty, smelly, hung over, wrinkled, needing a shave – he must look like shit.  He should take a shower, but he had no clean clothes to change into. He could go home and get clothes, but Justin might be there.  He couldn't see Justin, not yet.



Justin!  Jesus, what was he going to do?  Had he ruined the kid, the way Eamonn had fucked him up?  He couldn't face it if that was the case. Fucking Frank had to make him examine all this crap.  It needed to be left alone, to stay in the past where it belonged, to stay secret, from himself most of all.



What was he going to do?  He couldn't stay holed up in this hotel forever.  He had a job and he used to have a life to go to, but now he didn't know what he had.  He should have let Justin stay with Ethan. He should have stayed out of the kid's life and not turned him into some distorted replica of himself.  Poor Sunshine, he would be doomed to loneliness and sadness. Why didn't he stick by his own rules? He should have fucked him and thrown him out like all the others.



But Justin wasn't like all the others.  He was special. He was the only one since Eamonn who made him feel this way.  He couldn't live without Justin.



Maybe that was the answer – still the answer.  If he killed himself, he wouldn't have to deal with any of this anymore.  He would never have to worry about Justin leaving him. He would never have to worry about growing old.  He couldn't screw up any more lives. Everybody would be better off without him around fucking things up for them.



But would they be better off?  Would Justin ever forgive himself?  Brian had never really forgiven himself for Eamonn's death.  He felt the responsibility still. Would Justin do the same? Would he live the rest of his life burying secrets, afraid to let anyone in, afraid that everyone would know that he killed his lover?  To love Brian Kinney meant death and Justin had almost paid that price once already, after the prom.



He should go downstairs, get in the Jeep and drive it into a wall at eighty miles an hour, just like Eamonn.  Then he wouldn't have to deal with any of this ever again. But he didn't want to be like Eamonn. He hated what Eamonn had done to him and to himself.  He remembered Frank saying that he was smarter than Eamonn. God, he hoped that was true. But if he did the same thing as Eamonn, then he was just the same as Eamonn, just as cruel, just as stupid.



He had to have a drink.  He forced himself to get up from the bed.  He would go across the street to that liquor store and get another bottle of Beam.  Maybe it would help him to see things more clearly. That was a laugh! Maybe it would help him to hang on a little longer.  That was the best he could hope for.



He tried to smooth down his pants and get rid of some of the wrinkles.  He quickly gave that up as a futile endeavor. He went down in the elevator and crossed the street to the liquor store.  The man gave him a funny look. Probably sees lots of guys on all day benders, Brian thought. He grabbed his bottle and left quickly.



He was almost across the street going back to the hotel when he thought he heard his name being called.  He stopped and turned around looking for someone who knew him. He hoped it wasn't a business acquaintance.



All of a sudden he saw Emmett running towards him, waving his arms frantically to get his attention and shouting Brian's name at the top of his lungs.



"Shit!" Brain muttered and finished crossing the street, hoping that Emmett would get the message and leave him alone.



As he reached the sidewalk, he felt Emmett grab his arm and pull him to a stop.



"Brian," Emmett gushed, "what are you doing down here in the middle of the day?"



"I might ask you the same thing!" Brian snapped.  He noticed that Emmett was giving him the once over, probably wondering why Brian looked the way he did.



"There's a little shop up the street that has some really far out clothes.  I was just checking out the latest creations," Emmett explained. "But why are you here, looking like this?" he added with distaste.



"It's none of your business," Brian retorted.



"You're right, but you look like you could use someone to talk to?"  Emmett could tell something must be really wrong.



"No thanks," Brian tried to turn him down as gently as possible.



"Brian, you look like shit.  What's wrong?"



"I don't want to talk about it.  Just forget that you saw me." Brian turned and went through the door of the hotel.



Emmett followed him, catching Brian's arm once more.  "Wait, Brian. I can't leave you like this. Is that a bottle of liquor in the brown paper bag?"



Sometimes Emmett was too smart for his own good.  "Emmett, fuck off!" Brian snarled and headed for the elevators.



"Brian, Brian, I'm not leaving you."  Emmett followed him.



People were beginning to stare.  The elevator door opened and Brian stepped in.  Emmett was still babbling about how he couldn't leave a friend like this, so Brian pulled him into the car and hit the button for his floor.



"When I get you alone I'm going to kill you!" Brian said through clenched teeth.  He saw Emmett recoil and shut up. He edged as far away from Brian as he could.



When the elevator stopped at his floor, Brian grabbed Emmett's arm and dragged him down the hall to his door.  He used his key and pushed Emmett into the room. He saw Emmett take in the disheveled bed.



"Wondering who I fucked here?" Brian asked sarcastically.



"No, no, not at all," Emmett stammered, although that very thought had certainly crossed his mind.



"I know Justin told you that we're in a committed relationship, so don't even start."



"I wasn't going to say anything," Emmett countered.  "I thought maybe you needed someone to talk to. That's all.  What are you doing here anyway?"



"It's none of your business, but if you must know, I'm taking a little holiday," Brian said sarcastically.



"A holiday?  Here?"



"Yeah, a holiday from my job, from Justin, from my life.  Does that answer your questions? Can you go away now and leave me the fuck alone?"



"That doesn't answer any of my questions, Brian.  What the fuck is going on? I'm not leaving you here by yourself."



Brian groaned.  "How about a drink?" he asked not knowing what else to say.  He grabbed a couple of glasses from the bathroom and poured them each a healthy drink.



Emmett screwed up his nose, but took a little sip trying not to choke.  "I really prefer mixed drinks," he said trying to make conversation.



"Well, this isn't the Ritz, so take what you get or get out!"



"Brian, what's going on?"



"Can't you leave it alone?" Brian asked shaking his head.



"You dragged me up here, so talk."



Brian groaned again.  He had dragged Emmett up here.  Did that mean that he actually wanted to talk to the man?  Had Frank got him second guessing every fucking thing that he did?  He stared at Emmett who began to wriggle uncomfortably under Brian's persistent gaze.



Suddenly Brian said, "Why have you kept the secret of our committed relationship?"



"Why?"  Emmett looked surprised.  "Because I promised Justin that I would."



Now it was Brian's turn to look surprised.  "Is that all? You promised?" Emmett nodded.  "Justin promised that he wouldn't say anything too, but then he told you."



"He was so happy, he was busting at the seams to share it with somebody, and I'm pretty good at asking the right questions to find things out."



"No shit!"



Emmett had to smile at that.  "Don't be too hard on him, Brian.  He really loves you and he was thrilled that you would take this step for him.  I don't think that he thought you would ever do that."



"I never thought I would either," Brian admitted.



"So what made it happen?"



"I love him," Brian said simply.



"You're admitting it finally?" Emmett asked with a smile.



"Yes, but it may be too late."



"Too late for what?" Emmett asked.



Brian grimaced.  He wanted to change the subject.  "Do you know that I have always admired you?" Brian asked, polishing off another glass of Beam.



"Me?  Are you kidding?  What would you admire about me?"



"That you show your emotions.  Whatever you're feeling is right out there in plain view."



"And you admire me for that?  You who never lets on what you are feeling or that you are feeling?"



"Is it easy for you to laugh and cry and giggle?"



"Are you serious?  It's just my nature."


"But it's good that you let it out, isn't it?"



"I guess so.  Sometimes it gets me into trouble, and of course I get called a drama queen and laughed at."



"I'm one of the ones that laughs at you."



"Yeah, you are."



"I guess I shouldn't."



"I wouldn't know what to do without your witty criticisms and snide remarks."



"What?" Brian didn't know what Emmett meant.



"I know you make fun of me, but you're never malicious about it.  Mostly what you say is true, even if it is a tad harsh at times."



"I don't know how you stand it."



Emmett stared at Brian and realized that they were getting to something important in their conversation.  "We're opposites, you know, but we're also very much alike."



"How do you figure that?"



"The opinions of others are important to us.  You pretend you don't care and hide the effect that criticism has on you by covering it with cynicism.  I hide it under my overt emotionalism. It's there and it's gone so quickly that people forget that they hurt me."



"Really?" Brian asked.  He was listening intently to what Emmett explained, because the man was right.



"I don't know what has happened to bring you to this hotel, but I can see that you are hurting.  Can you tell me what is going on?"



Brian sighed.  "If I tell you some of it, can you keep this secret too, even from Ted?"



"Of course I can, and I will," Emmett vowed.



"All right," Brian sighed.  "I want to ask you something, and I want an honest answer."



"Sure."



"Do you think I have made Justin into a clone of myself?"


Emmett opened his mouth to deny Brian's statement, but he stopped and Brian could see that he was thinking seriously about it.  "I was going to say no," Emmett explained, "but truthfully, there are some things that Justin has learned from you."



Brian winced at the word 'learned'.  Emmett noted the reaction, but wasn't sure what he had said that had caused it.



"What do you think he has learned from me?"



"Let's see.  He's learned to stand up for himself."



"He already knew how to do that," Brian said.



"He did, but he learned to go after what he wanted and not let anyone talk him out of it or scare him out of it."



"Is that a good thing?"



"I'd say so.  Justin is a smart kid.  He's one of the sweetest and nicest people I know.  He's had a good effect on you."



Brian had to smile at that.  It was the exact opposite of what he wanted to know.  "But have I been a good influence on him?" Brian asked.



Emmett thought about it for a minute.  "I'd have to say yes."



"Really?"  Brian was surprised.  "Why?"



"It's impossible to know how Justin would have turned out if he had never met you, but you have helped him with his art and his education, and I don't just mean financially.  He values your advice and your approval. He wants your respect as well as your love and he works hard to get it. Hell, we all do!"



"You want my respect?"



"Of course.  If we can get respect from you then everybody else is a piece of cake."



Brian snorted.  "Any other things I have taught him?"



"You taught him to accept help when he needed it."



"That was a hard one."



"I'm glad he got away from the Sap."



"Yeah."



"You know, Brian, sometimes you need to accept help too."



"No kidding!" Brian said drunkenly.  He had packed away a good portion of the Beam while they were talking.



"Let me take you home," Emmett asked.



"No, can't go home."



"Why not?"



"Screwed everything up.  Can't face Justin."



"So that's why you're here.  Justin will help you, you know, if you let him."



"I know, but he shouldn't have to."



"Isn't that what he said to you when you wanted to help him with his tuition?"



"Yeah," Brian had to agree.



"So, give me the bottle and let's see if we can get you back to the loft."



Brian looked like he wanted to cry, but he didn't protest.  Emmett took that to mean that he would go along with him. He helped Brian up and headed for the door.  Brian leaned heavily on him, but managed to keep upright.



"Is the Jeep here?" Emmett asked.



"Can't drive.  Too drunk."



Emmett laughed.  "That's for sure, but is it nearby?  I'll drive you."



"Down the street," Brian mumbled.



They had reached the lobby.  Emmett sat Brian in a chair and went to the desk to say that Brian Kinney was checking out.  They would bill Brian's credit card that he had used to check in, so Emmett was able to get them out of the hotel quickly.  He hoped the Jeep was not far, because Brian was heavy. He saw it down the street and hauled Brian along, shoving him unceremoniously into the passenger seat, after having fumbled in Brian's pockets for the keys.



"Lord, help me get him and the Jeep home in one piece!" Emmett prayed as he started the engine.



Emmett finally managed to get Brian into the loft, pulled off some of the man's clothes, debated taking off all of them but thought better of it, and tucked him into bed.  He was out like a light. Emmett looked at the clock by the bed. It was 5:30. He thought he should call Justin at the gallery. He found the number near the computer and dialed.



"Granville Gallery," Justin answered.



"Justin, it's Emmett.  Can you leave a bit early and come home?"



"Why, Emmett?"



"I just brought Brian home.  He's passed out, drunk."



"Shit!  Where did you find him?"



"Downtown.  Can you come?"



"I'll grab a cab and be there as soon as I can.  Can you stay until I get there?"



"Sure, but why?"



"Don't let Brian go anywhere."



"He's not going to be awake for quite a while," Emmett explained, "but I can wait here till you arrive."



"Thanks, Emm, thanks a lot."



Emmett checked on Brian who snored softly.  He found a magazine to look at while he waited.  In about fifteen minutes Justin opened the door to the loft.  He rushed in and up the steps to make sure Brian was still there.



"He's okay, Justin.  I checked on him a few minutes ago."



Justin came into the living room and sat down beside Emmett.  "Tell me how you found him."



"I was downtown at a little shop I frequent.  I had finished going through their new stock and had just come out of the store.  They had real crap, nothing even worth trying on." Emmett noticed a look of exasperation cross Justin's face and realized that he didn't want to hear about his fashion trials and tribulations.  "Anyway, I looked up and Brian was crossing the street."



"Where was this?"



"Near Fourth and Elizabeth.  At first I couldn't believe Brian would be there in that neighborhood."


"What was he doing?"



"He'd just bought a bottle of bourbon and was heading back to the hotel where he spent the night."



"Alone?"



"I think so.  He said so." Emmett tried to reassure Justin.  "He was pissed that I saw him and tried to brush me off, but I didn't want to leave him.  He looked like hell and I could tell something was wrong. I made enough fuss that he took me up to his room so that I didn't make a scene in the lobby."



Justin smiled at him.  "Only you, Emm," Justin said.  "Did he tell you what he was doing there?"



"Only that he couldn't go home.  Then he started to ask me what I thought he had taught you, and if he had been a good influence on you."



"What the fuck is that all about?"



"I don't know.  He drank most of the bottle of bourbon while we talked, so he was pretty incoherent by the end."



"How did you get him home?"



"I said I thought he should go home and at first he said no, but I'm persistent, and finally he gave in."



"Thanks, Emm.  I really appreciate this.  I've been worried about him."



"How long has he been gone?"



"Since yesterday afternoon.  I can't tell you much more about it.  He … we have some things to work out."



"I can tell you don't want to spill the rest of the story, so I'll leave you guys alone.  If you need to talk, you know where to find me."



"Thanks again."



"Anytime, sweetie."



Emmett left and Justin immediately got on the phone to Dr. Frank's office.  Frank said he had two more patients and then he would come to the loft. Justin hoped Brian would have slept enough of it off for Frank to talk some sense into him.



A couple of hours later Frank buzzed the apartment and Justin let him in.  Brian had begun to stir in his sleep and seemed to be having disturbing dreams if his thrashing about was any indication.  Frank wanted to know where Brian had been, so Justin filled him in on what Emmett had told him, while they waited for Brian to wake up.  Frank seemed most interested in Brian asking Emmett about his influence on Justin. When Justin questioned him about this, he merely said that was what they had been talking about when Brian had walked out.



"Fuck!" Brian grumbled from the bedroom.



"What's wrong, Brian?" Justin called to him.



"How the fuck did I get here?  That goddam Emmett! I'm going to skin that fucker alive!"



Justin looked sheepishly at Frank after Brian's colorful tirade.  "Sorry about that, Frank," he apologized.



Frank grinned.  "Should we tell him I'm here?"



"If you're ready to take your life in your hands."



"It's now or never.  Let's go for it."



They both stood up and started up the steps to the bedroom.



"Hello, Brian," Frank said proceeding up the steps.



"What the fuck are you doing here?" Brian demanded.



"You look like you could use some help."



"Leave me the fuck alone," Brian said pulling the sheet over his head.



"You can't hide from this, Brian.  You need to confront it."



"What do you know about anything?"



"This is my job, Brian."



"And you've done such a fabulous job of it so far!" Brian griped.



"Touché!  I'll try to do better from now on."



Brian groaned.  "Just go away."


"Brian, please talk to Frank," Justin asked.



"Are you still here, Sunshine?  I think you better bail, while the going's good."



"I'm not going anywhere and I don't want you to either."



Brian groaned.  He rolled over and looked at the two men who stood at the end of the bed.  "Can I get cleaned up before we do this?" Brian asked.



"Go take a shower, if you'll feel better," Frank said.  "I can wait."



"Running up the tab, Frank?" Brian asked sarcastically.



"This one's on me, since we didn't finish the last session."



Brian looked sheepish at Frank's words.  He threw back the covers and was glad to find he still had underwear on.  He got up and quickly retreated to the bathroom. Frank and Justin heard the shower go on.  They went back to the living room.



"He didn't say he wouldn't talk to you," Justin said hopefully.



"He knows he needs help," Frank said quietly.  "I'm going to try to give it to him."



"Should I be here?" Justin asked.



"I'd like you to be, but that's Brian's call.  I'll ask him if he wants you to leave. Have you got somewhere to go?"



"Sure," Justin said, hoping he wouldn't have to leave Brian.  He didn't want him to disappear again.



They waited in silence.  After a few minutes, the shower went off and finally Brian appeared, still needing a shave, but wearing clean jeans and a t-shirt.  He looked only slightly the worse for wear.



"So, Frank, think you can fix me this time?" Brian asked sarcastically, slumping down into one of the chairs.



"We can try."



Brian made a face.  He looked over at Justin, as if deciding whether he wanted him there.



"Do you want me to leave?" Justin asked him.



"That's the trouble.  I never want you to leave.  But … it would be in your own best interests to get lost," Brian said rather cruelly.



"I'm not going unless you specifically tell me to," Justin declared.



"Then stay for the show.  It ought to be good for a few laughs.  Where do you want to start?" Brian asked Frank.



"This is something new, Brian," Frank observed.  "You sound like you're ready to cooperate."



"I decided in the shower that you were going to ask what you were going to ask.  I'm sick of fighting it. If it costs me everything, so be it."



"Why would it cost you everything?"



"Look at where I ended up after our last session.  I can always go on another bender … or worse… So go ahead, rip me open, and let's be done with it."



"I don't want to rip you open; I merely want you to confront some of the demons that have ruled your life for too long."



"Same difference!" Brian declared.



Frank sighed.  "Justin told me that your friend, Emmett, brought you home after talking to him about how you had influenced Justin.  That's kind of where we left off last time, so maybe we should start there."



"Fucking Emmett promised that he wouldn't tell anyone what we talked about," Brian growled.



"I don't think he realized that you meant me, Brian," Justin felt compelled to say.  "He wanted to help."



Brian scowled.  "Who cares? He saw how I've influenced you, Justin.  I don't think you should be around me anymore."


"Why?  Are you corrupting me like my father said?"



"Worse.  I'm turning you into a clone of me," Brian grimaced.



"What?  That's not true," Justin gasped.



"Isn't it?  Think about it."



"I have learned lots of things from you, Brian, but I pick and choose what I want to accept.  Quite frankly, there are lots of things about you that I would never allow myself to do or be."



"Really?" Brian asked.



"You and Justin come from very different backgrounds and that has a large bearing on how you each deal with things.  If you had had a more loving family in your early life, you probably would be very different than you are now," Frank explained.



"At least Justin had loving parents for awhile," Brian said wistfully.



"I still have my mother and Molly."  He smiled at Brian.



"You've had some rough breaks in the love department, Brian," Frank continued.  "That's why it's especially important to face them and realize what they taught you.  I can tell from your statement before that you don't want to pass on to Justin the heartache that you've had to deal with."



"But isn't that exactly what I've done?" Brian asked ruefully.



"I'm not you, Brian.  I love you, but I'm not you," Justin stated.



"How do you know that?  You could be a Brian Kinney in training.  How many times have our friends joked that I'm teaching you all the bad things I do?"


"They're wrong," Justin said simply.  "I'm me, not you."



Brian shook his head.  "If you hang around me long enough, you'll either become me or you'll be dead."



Justin gasped.  "How can you say that?"



"You were almost killed after the prom.  That was my fault for going there."



"It was Chris Hobbs' fault."



"Eamonn killed himself because of me," Brian forged ahead, not listening to Justin's reasoning.



"Brian, you can't take responsibility for other people's decisions," Frank said levelly.  "What they do is not your fault."



"I think it is.  I contaminate them."



"You haven't contaminated Justin," Frank said.



"Give me time!"



"Brian, I want you to listen to me carefully."  Justin slid off the couch and onto his knees in front of Brian.  He took the man's hands firmly between his own and stared into Brian's eyes.  "You always tell me how strong I am. And you're right, I am strong. I'm not going to kill myself or die on you, at least not any time soon.  I love you and I want to be with you. You're not going to harm me or corrupt me. You don't have that much power."



Brian stared at him.  A big sigh escaped his lips.  "I want that to be true. I thought for a while that I could finally have it all.  I'm sick of separating my life into compartments to keep everything safe. I want to love you.  I need you." A sob escaped Brian's body as Justin took him into his arms.



"Why can't that be true?" Frank asked after a minute or two.



"Love is such a fucked up concept for me.  My parents never loved me, never even wanted me to be born.  That got me off to a good start." Brian made a sour face. "Debbie and Vic loved me without ever saying the words, but I know they do.  Michael loves me unconditionally, but we can't have sex. That has to stay separate. Lindsay loves me. We tried the sex thing, but we realized it would be a disaster.  I would have lost her too, if we had continued that. Eamonn said all the right words and I loved him so much. Look where that led. Love isn't for me."



"Didn't you leave somebody out of that list?" Frank asked.



"Justin still has a chance to escape before something bad happens to him."



"I don't want to escape.  I'm not afraid and we'll face anything bad that happens … together."



"How can you be sure?" Brian asked softly.  He wanted Justin to be right so badly, but he was afraid.



"I just know," Justin whispered to him.



"Brian," Frank broke in, "there are no guarantees in life.  You have as much right to be happy and loved as the next guy.  Because you have had bad experiences in the past doesn't mean that it will always be that way.  If Justin is willing to take that leap of faith, can't you?"



"I don't know.  I just don't know."



"I do," Justin said.  "Let me be the strong one for awhile.  I'll help you."



Brian's arms went around Justin and crushed him to his chest.  Neither heard Frank get up and leave. They just held on drawing strength from each other and giving comfort in return.



They stayed that way for a long time.  Finally Justin drew back. "Are you okay?" he asked Brian.



"I don't know.  I don't know anything anymore."



"Do you know that you love me?"



"Always," Brian said and then gasped at his choice of words, one of Eamonn's ill-fated words.



"It's all right to say that.  I'll love you forever too."



"How can you say that with any surety?"


"Because I believe it.  It's a leap of faith – in you, in me, in us."



"I'm sorry I ran away.  I just didn't know what else to do.  I don't want to hurt you."



"You won't hurt me, as long as you love me."



Brian kissed him longingly, deeply, hungrily.  "I missed you last night. Even as drunk and stupid as I was, I missed you."



"I missed you too," Justin stated.  "Let's go to bed and make up for lost time."



They stood and kissed once again before beginning to remove clothes and head for the bedroom.  They stood beside the bed naked and vulnerable like never before. Justin made the first move, taking Brian into his arms and kissing him with such passion that they were instantly aroused.  He gently pushed Brian onto the bed and spread his body atop the older man. He continued the kiss delving with his tongue and demanding Brian open up to him in every way.



Justin could feel Brian's cock hard between them.  It matched his own. Brian groaned as Justin rubbed his hips against him.



"I need you so much," Brian whispered.



"You've got me," Justin smiled at him.



The boy slid down Brian's body kissing and licking all the way.  He took Brian's throbbing cock into his mouth and sucked slowly relishing the taste of his man.  Brian moaned his satisfaction. Justin pushed Brian's legs up and apart. He moved down to Brian's balls licking and sucking, rolling them around.  He licked farther down to Brian's pucker where he lapped across the pink hole wetting it and preparing it for entry. When his tongue breached the muscles, Brian's back arched and he keened Justin's name.  The boy stiffened his tongue and pushed in again and again opening Brian to what he would do next.



His own cock twitched and ached.  He wanted this man so much. He wanted to prove his love to him.  He wanted Brian to know that he would never leave him like Eamonn had.  He wanted to prove that they were meant to be together, that nothing could be more right in this or any other universe.



He slipped on a condom and lubed it.  His smile looked so radiant to Brian as he pushed into that tight opening.  Brian gasped at the intrusion, but managed to keep his eyes open to enjoy the look of bliss on Justin's face.  Justin thrust once more and was all the way in. Brian grabbed his lover and held him against his chest.



"I love you more than anything," Brian whispered against Justin's neck.


"I feel the same," Justin gasped wanting to pump, but knowing that he needed to follow Brian's lead.  Instead he kissed Brian, using his lips, his tongue, his whole body.



Justin drew back and pressed in again rotating his hips and thrusting hard at the end of the stroke.  He felt Brian gasp.



"Good?" he asked.



"Fabulous," Brian breathed.



Justin pumped again and drew another gasp from his lover.  He knew he was hitting the sweet spot and continued his thrusts.  Gradually the pace increased and grew wilder. They slammed against each other plummeting towards orgasms that each could feel would be beyond intense.  Justin took hold of Brian's cock and his hand strokes matched his own cock strokes. When their orgasms blasted through them they crashed against each other, crying out and feeling the Earth stop on its axis.  There was only them, their pleasure, their oblivion.



Minutes later Justin realized he was still inside Brian.  He could feel the man holding him tightly. "Are you all right?" Justin whispered.



"I'm not sure I've ever been better."



Justin raised his head to look into the hazel eyes he loved.  "Are you sure?" Justin asked again, meaning much more that just the sexual aspect of how Brian was.



He could see that Brian understood the import of his question.



"I'm … good," Brian said softly.



Those were the sweetest words Justin had ever heard.

Chapter 14 - Irish Eyes by Thyme

 

Irish Eyes

Justin looked out the window of the gallery.  The summer was drawing to a close. In about three weeks he would go back to PIFA for his third year.  He had not had a good summer. He hoped things were going to improve from now on. Brian had been through a crisis, one that almost ended their relationship, but somehow they had managed to survive it.  Things had to get better.



Brian was recovering from some old demons that had come back to haunt him.  He had been seeing Dr. Frank Jamison pretty intensely for the last couple of weeks.  He seemed to be improving, coming to terms with some events that had shaped his life and beliefs.  He and Justin had stopped fighting all the time which was a major improvement.



Justin was tired.  He had learned a lesson about trying to work two jobs and please too many people.  He doubted that he would ever try to do that again. However, he wasn't nearly as tired as he had been when Brian was in crisis.  The strain on their relationship had been enormous, and at one point he had been ready to call it quits. Looking back now he didn't think he would have really done that, but he had been so exhausted.  Trying to deal with Brian at the best of times was hard. The depressed state that he had been in had sapped every ounce of Justin's strength. Thank God they had got help from Dr. Frank before it was too late.



He wished he had had a more restful break from school.  He thought he would be ready to handle the new school year, but he would have liked to feel relaxed and prepared, and that definitely wasn't how he felt.



He sighed and turned back to the office.  He heard the phone ringing as he neared the door.  He hurried inside and picked it up saying, "Granville Gallery".



"Is this Mr. Justin Taylor?" a voice asked.  It sounded vaguely familiar.



"Yes?" he replied.



"I'm calling to inform you that you have won a trip of a lifetime …"



"Brian?  Brian, is that you?" Justin asked recognizing the poor attempt being made to disguise the voice.



"You caught me, Sunshine," Brian said.  Justin could hear the grin in his voice.



"What are you doing, calling and telling me I won a trip?"



"You have."



"What?  What are you talking about?"



"What do you think of two weeks in Ireland before you go back to school?"



"Are you serious?  Oh my God, Brian! Do you mean it?"



"I do.  I picked up some brochures at lunch time and I was going to surprise you tonight, but I got so excited about going that I couldn't wait."



"I can't believe it!  Are you really serious about going to Ireland?"



"Yes, and if I remember correctly you said you would love to go with me."



"I did and I want to."  Justin couldn't believe how happy and relaxed Brian sounded.  This was the best he had heard him in a couple of months.



"I called to see if you could get time off from your job to do this," Brian asked, a hint of the old worry in his voice.



"I'll call Jane and tell her I want the time.  I'm sure she'll let me go, and I'll quit if she doesn't."



"I don't want you to screw up your chances to work there another time."



"I don't think it will, but I don't care.  I want to go with you! I can hardly wait to get home and see what information you've got.  We'll have to go to Limerick where your family came from, and Dublin of course, and maybe Waterford.  What about Northern Ireland?"



"Slow down.  We're only going for two weeks.  We can look over the brochures tonight and decide what we want to see and do."



"I can hardly wait.  This is so exciting!"



"It is, isn't it," Brian said softly.  He had known this was just what they needed, after all the trouble they had been through.



"I'll try to get away from here as soon as I can.  Will you be home in good time?" Justin asked.



"I'll probably beat you there!" Brian declared.



"I love you so much!"



"I love you too, Sunshine.  Later."



"Later," Justin said softly.



He hung up the phone, a huge smile plastered on his face.  This was going to be the best – two weeks alone with Brian, in Ireland.  He could hardly wait.



                                                                -----



The next few days went by in a whirl.  They had to make some quick decisions if they were going to get this trip in before Justin started school.  They selected some things they definitely wanted to do and talked to the travel agent who booked them a car and some B and B's.  They also got a hotel in Dublin where they decided they would end their trip. They would fly into Shannon on the west side of Ireland and work their way south and across to Dublin where they would catch their flight to come home.  Brian also arranged for a little something for the first two days they were in Ireland. He kept that to himself wanting Justin to be surprised and pleased after all the crap he had put the boy through.



They left Friday night, flying all night and arriving in Shannon early in the morning.  They slept a bit on the plane, but it wasn't a really restful sleep. Brian had opted for first class and that certainly gave them more room and comfort than the poor slobs back in coach.



They picked up their car, a little Renault, very mini by North American standards.  Justin thought it was cute, but Brian wondered where he was going to put his legs. Surprisingly when he got behind the wheel there was plenty of room for all of him.  It was a stick shift and they would be driving on the opposite side of the road, so they had decided ahead of time that Brian would do all the driving and Justin would navigate.



Finally they had all their bags loaded and directions of how to get out of the airport.  Brian had bought a good road map of Ireland and told Justin to find Cong. When Justin balked at this because they had not discussed going there, Brian told him to do it and enjoy the ride.  It would be worth his while. The little smile on Brian's face convinced the young man to do as requested and ask questions later.



They set out heading for Galway.  From there they would pick up another road heading north.  Justin couldn't figure out why they were doing this, when the trip they had planned was all to the south of the airport and they were heading north.  


At first they were on quite a good road which was much like any secondary road in America.  They could see fields and farmland alongside the road. Even in late summer it was very verdant and lush.  No wonder it was called the Emerald Isle.



They stopped on the outskirts of Galway and got a coffee and a sandwich.  The city of Galway is on one side of Galway Bay, but they mostly skirted it, finding the road to take them north to Cong.  Brian still refused to tell Justin exactly where they were going and why.



They continued on a smaller road for another hour.  Gradually the road became narrower. Brian had to keep reminding himself to stay to the left when every instinct told him he should be on the right.  At one point they came upon a woman walking beside her bike, at the same time meeting a car going the other way. Somehow all three met at the same moment.  Justin held his breath and didn't hear a crash.



The other car kept going.  Brian looked in the rear view mirror and saw the woman walking her bike apparently unharmed.



"Can you tell if she still has both her arms?" Brian asked.



"I think so," Justin let out his breath.



"I thought for sure I had winged her."  They both chuckled in relief.



As they neared Cong, Brian told Justin to find Ashford on the map.  They turned onto an even narrower road that Justin thought would take them to Ashford.  All of a sudden they came to a T intersection. Brian stopped unsure which road to take and Justin studied the map just as confused.



Across the intersection Brian saw what looked like a medieval gate.  Clearly carved on one side were the words Ashford Castle. Brian smiled and pulled across the intersection and into the gate.  A man stepped out and Brian gave him his name. He checked a list on his clipboard and told them to follow the road up to the main building.



"Is this really a castle?" Justin asked.



Brian nodded.  "It's where Pierce Brosnan had his wedding and where we're staying for the next two nights."



"We're staying in a real castle?"  Justin couldn't believe his ears.



"You got it, Sunshine.  Like the surprise?"



"Brian, I can't believe it."



"I was going to tell you it was the old family homestead, but it's really a hotel."



They drove for quite a while, noting the golf course on each side of the road.  They passed a stable and saw people on horses apparently taking a lesson.



"Can we do that?" Justin asked craning to look back at the riders.



"We can do whatever you want," Brian smiled.  "They have golf and tennis and fishing, although we should have brought Gus for that.  Or we can just relax. Whatever your heart desires!"



They continued along the road which was really a driveway for about a half mile.  At last they came to a single lane medieval-looking bridge that crossed a substantial stream.  It had the effect of creating a moat with the castle on the other side. It was a large grey stone building very imposing in appearance.  They stopped at what looked like the main door. A liveried gentleman opened the car door and said he would look after their luggage and park the car.  They should go in to register.



They went through an arched doorway into a large foyer.  Up some steps was a sign saying 'Registration'. A young woman with reddish hair and green eyes stepped forward.



"Mr. Kinney?" she said extending her hand.  "I'm Maureen O'Connell. Let me welcome you to Ashford Castle.  Please have a seat at the desk and we'll get you registered."



Her voice had the most beautiful soft lilt.  Brian and Justin sat in the chairs at one side of the desk.  She went around behind.



"Would you care for a drink?" she asked.



"A beer would be great," Brian replied.  Justin nodded his approval.



She signaled to a young man who stood nearby and he disappeared immediately.  Maureen handed some papers to Brian to fill out. She asked for his credit card to make an imprint.  Before they had barely got started the young man reappeared with a tray on which were two frosted mugs of beer.



"I thought beer was always warm over here," Brian said taking a long drink of the cold liquid.  It tasted great after their driving adventures.



"We also cater to North American tastes," Maureen explained.



"And it's greatly appreciated," Brian said saluting her as he took another drink.



They finished signing in and Maureen told them they were welcome to take their beers out on the terrace.  She told them about the facilities of the castle which they could take advantage of, and showed them a schedule of meals, lessons and entertainment.  Other things could be arranged by special appointment. She gave them the key to their room and explained how to find it. Their luggage had already been taken up.



Brian thanked her and they went out onto the terrace.  It was empty at this time of day but they got to look out over the gardens and the stream that meandered off into the distance.



"This is so nice," Justin said collapsing into a wicker chair.



Brian sat down next to him.  "It's quite beautiful. I hope you like our room."



"It must be costing a fortune," Justin had to say.  "You didn't have to do this. I would have been happy with the B and B's."



"We'll have those for the rest of the trip.  I just wanted something special to start us off."



"I think this was a terrific idea."  Justin beamed his sunshine smile at Brian.



They finished their beers and went upstairs to find their room.  It was huge with high ceilings, wood paneling and rosy wallpaper.  The bed was enormous. Justin flung himself onto it and declared it scrumptious.  Brian flung himself on top of Justin and declared him scrumptious too. Brian started nibbling on Justin's neck, on his ear, on his chin.  They giggled and rolled around enjoying the luxury of the room and of their time together.



Soon the playful nipping and kissing became more demanding.  Their mouths welded together and passion swept through them.



"Shall we christen our bed with a little afternoon delight?" Brian asked breathlessly.



"That would be lovely," Justin replied in his best English accent.



"Hey, this is Ireland.  Talk like that will get you shot," Brian warned.



Justin giggled and attacked his lover's mouth.  Soon they were naked and rubbing hard cock against hard cock.  Justin managed to flip them over and pressed his body atop Brian's.



"Can I?" he asked.  Brian's eyes cloudy with lust looked back at him.  He nodded.



Justin grabbed a condom and lube from the bag by the bed.  He laid them on the pillow and began kissing all over Brian's body.  He sucked on all the special places that he knew drove Brian crazy – his left earlobe, the little spot atop his collarbone, the area around his navel, the back of his knees.  Brian moaned and purred his approval.



Justin slid down and popped the top of the lube.  He squirted it on Brian's hole and worked the sweet little pucker open with his fingers.  Brian called, "Jussttiiinnnn," and began a groan that escalated into a full fledged roar as Justin found his prostate.  Condom on and lubed Justin pressed forward as Brian gasped, and then pushed back demanding more. Justin gave a further thrust and was completely in.  He loved the feel of this place, tight and soft and warm. Brian was the reason he existed. They were perfect together.



The rhythm began and each responded knowing the things that pleasured the other.  They pounded into each other, rocking and bucking in the age old dance. Justin felt that tingling radiating from his groin and coursing up his spine.  He grabbed Brian's cock and stroked in time with his thrusts. He knew they were both close and he timed both strokes to climax together. The orgasms were powerful and satisfying.  They lay together savoring what they had just done, content in each other's arms.



"I hope the walls are sound proof," Justin said.  "That's more noise than I've ever heard you make."



Brian grinned.  "Must be the jet lag, or maybe the fine Irish air … or maybe it's that I love you so much I don't care if the whole world hears me."



"Oh, Brian …" Justin gasped, and he could feel the tears begin.



"Don't cry," Brian whispered, thumbing the tears off his lover's cheek.  "I want you to know what you mean to me."



"I thought we were losing each other a few weeks ago," Justin said sadly.



"But that's all behind us now.  We're going to have a great time over here."



"You bet!" Justin agreed.



They both yawned.  "We can't go to sleep now or we'll never get on schedule with Irish time," Brian said.  "Let's grab a shower and go explore."



They got up and went into the bathroom to discover an enormous tub.  A shower curtain hung around it.



"That looks tempting," Justin said staring at the huge tub and picturing him and Brian lying in it together, and then doing other more interesting things.



"Let's save that for bedtime," Brian whispered, noting the look in the young man's eye.



They used the shower and put on some fresh clothes.  A tour of the castle revealed the dining room where they made a reservation for seven o'clock, a pub called "The Dungeon" down a narrow flight of stairs, a walk-in fireplace with bench seats and the standard gift shop.



"All the conveniences of any American tourist trap," Brian observed.



"A little classier though," Justin felt compelled to say.



They went outside and walked through the gardens.  They were bordered by enormous hydrangea bushes with flowers of red and blue and white and coral.  The individual flowers were bigger than a person's head.



"My mother used to wear a hat that looked just like that," Brian stated pointing to a pink hydrangea.



Justin chuckled.  "I can only imagine."



The terraced lawns were neatly cut and cared for.  There were several fountains and a freestanding tower from which they got a lovely view of the surrounding countryside.  They walked along the stream that marked the limit of the castle grounds and saw a mother swan with her almost grown babies.  Coming back to the front of the building they walked across the narrow bridge that had given them their first glimpse of the castle.  On the other side was a boat docking area. They stopped and talked to the man who was on board the one boat tied up there. He asked if they wanted to go fishing, but it wouldn't be the same without Gus.  Justin wanted to go horseback riding, so they walked down toward the stable. The lessons were over for the day, but they talked to the man grooming the horses and booked a private lesson for ten in the morning.



They sat on a bench and watched some people play golf.  Justin said he had played a few times at the country club, but it wasn't really something he enjoyed.  After awhile they hiked back up to the castle, going into the lounge and getting a couple more frosty beers.



By the time they finished those they decided to go up and get dressed for dinner.  They looked casually elegant as they presented themselves to the maitre d' at the entrance to the dining room.  They drew approving looks from those already eating, as they were ushered to their table. Dinner was delicious, consisting of local salmon that was so fresh and delicious, baby peas and carrots and roast potatoes.  They shared a slice of apple torte for dessert, Justin eating the most of it.



Coffee was served in the lounge, so they went there to relax in comfortable chairs.  They also had a brandy and planned what they were going to do tomorrow. Justin wanted to see if they could take the horses for a little ride around the estate after they finished their lesson.  A picnic lunch would be fun, they decided. They went to the front desk to arrange all these things.



Once that was done they were both yawning and decided to forego the pub and head to bed.  Justin wanted his bath and began running the water. Brian struggled to stay wake. They lowered themselves into the warm water and both sighed in contentment.  Justin sat between Brian's legs and leaned back against his chest.



"This was a great way to begin our holiday," Justin told his lover.



"It's been good so far," Brian agreed.



He felt Justin shift around rubbing his delectable bottom against Brian's cock.  It responded immediately.



"I don't know if I can stay awake," Brian admitted.



"Something's awake," Justin replied, feeling the stiffening cock beneath him.



Brian chuckled.  "Sometimes it has a mind of its own."



"Let me," Justin said.



He rubbed some more getting the desired effect.  He felt Brian take in a breath and knew the man was ready.  He asked Brian to scoot up while he covered his erect penis with a condom.  When Brian sat back down Justin shoved him farther down to give him greater access to his cock.  He kneeled above Brian's groin his ass waving in Brian's face. He felt Brian squeeze and fondle the shiny globes.



Brian held his throbbing cock and Justin lowered himself onto the rod.  He faced away from Brian, but felt the man grab his hips to steady him and help with his up and down motion, as he held on to the side of the tub.  He found by leaning forward he could get the friction he wanted and at the same time have Brian's cock hit his own prostate. He slammed back into Brian eliciting groans of pleasure.  Water splashed over the edge of the tub as their coupling became wilder. Brian reached around and stroked Justin's bobbing dick. Justin loved the sensation of the warm water and Brian's hand and the hard cock up his ass.  Before he knew it he was coming and coming and so was Brian. The cock in his ass pulsed and throbbed.



Justin slumped back against Brian's chest, the spent cock still inside of him.  He moaned and felt Brian's arms encase him as his cock slipped out.



"We need to go to bed.  I'm going to fall asleep and we'll probably drown if we stay here," Brian said.



They reluctantly got out, toweled off and mopped up the floor with the used towels.  Naked they slipped under the covers on the bed, and were immediately asleep. They awoke the next morning still spooned together and completely rested.



They had a quick breakfast and headed for the stables.  The lesson was good, but they both knew a bit about riding, and it turned out to be more just getting familiar with the horses than really learning much.   


When the lesson was over, the instructor told them they could ride the horses up to the castle and their picnic lunch would be waiting for them.  He gave them a good route to follow along the stream, saying there were lots of places to stop for their picnic.


They rode for quite awhile following the stream to a cluster of trees where they could tether the horses and sit in the shade.  They opened the saddle bags the castle had given them for the picnic and found a blanket. They laid it out on the ground and settled down on top of it.  The other saddle bag contained sandwiches, cans of beer, veggies and apples.



They ate some of the food, talking about the rest of their trip and what they wanted to see. The sun glistened off the water of the stream.  Brian lay back on the blanket and Justin placed his head on Brian's thighs. Brian ran his fingers through the soft blond hair in his lap. They dozed happily in the shade for a little while.  Brian never really fell asleep and he didn't want to, realizing they were still dealing with some jet lag. He gave Justin a little shove to wake him up. Justin said he was awake and rolled on his side deliberately brushing against Brian's cock.



"What are you doing?" Brian asked.



"I thought fooling around in the outdoors might be fun."



"Really?" Brian said.  Justin's back was to the stream now that he had turned over.  "I didn't know you had become such an exhibitionist."



"Nobody will see us," Justin stated his face buried against the growing mound in Brian's jeans."



"The fishermen will have a real fish tale to tell when they get back."



He turned Justin around in time for him to see the fishing boat passing by in the stream.  Justin waved sheepishly to the people on board.



"Shit!  I guess that wasn't such a good idea," Justin admitted.



"It was a good idea, just the wrong place and time.  We should probably take the horses back anyway."



Reluctantly they gathered up the remnants of their picnic and mounted the horses.  A leisurely ride back to the stable left them with a couple of hours before dinner.



"Let's go hit some tennis balls," Justin suggested.



"Good idea," Brian agreed.  "They feed you enough here for four people, so we can run some calories off on the tennis court.



They were both lousy at hitting the ball, but they got their exercise chasing down the errant shots and retrieving the balls they hit over the fence.  They laughed at each other's efforts and did their best to hit the ball as close to the other person as possible. When they finally gave it up, Brian declared that they were pathetic tennis players, but they both had had lots of fun proving that point.



After a shower they had another delicious dinner, followed by coffee in the lounge.  They decided they would check out the Dungeon and its entertainment. A young woman named Allnette Griffith sang and played the harp.  She had a lovely voice. Her pianist was Brendan O'Byrne. They sang Irish songs, some in Gaelic, and then led a sing-along with the audience.  Surprisingly Brian joined in and seemed to enjoy singing the old songs he must have heard his parents sing or heard at Irish get-togethers.



They tried Guinness and ended up having several glasses as the night progressed.  By the time they went up to their room, they were both a little unsteady. Brian decided he was taking charge and fucked Justin's brains out, trying to get the young man to make more noise than he had made the day before.  He claimed he was successful but Justin swore that Brian had been noisier. They both decided that maybe it was a good thing they were leaving the next day.



                                                                  -----



They awoke to a rather gray day, had some breakfast and packed up their belongings.  When they checked out, Maureen was again on duty and they told her they had really enjoyed their stay at the castle.  She wished them well for the rest of their trip and they set off towards Galway.



Once they passed Galway they rounded the end of the bay and headed for the Cliffs of Moher.  As they came along the south side of the bay they could see a large rounded rock off to their left.  It went on for miles appearing to be quite bare of vegetation. Justin said it was called the Burren on the map.  They came to a sign indicating a tourist center called Whitethorn which explained the Burren. It was created through glaciation millions of years ago.  The shale was worn away by the glaciers and these huge granite boulders called erratics were deposited. The Burren looked barren but it had many types of tiny flowers all over it.  They were just too tiny to see.



Each of them was surprised by how interested the other was in the formation and description of the Burren.



"I didn't think you'd be interested in rocks," Justin said as they were leaving.



"I could make some joke about getting my rocks off or getting off on rocks, but truthfully I'm interested in lots of things that nobody would ever suspect," Brian stated.



"Like what?"


"I'm not going to say, but let's see how many we find before the trip is over."



"That sounds like fun," Justin said smiling and linking his arm through Brian's as they walked out to the car.



The road to the cliffs was very narrow and Brian found he had to concentrate on his driving.  They entered a car park for the cliffs and looked up to see people at the top of a steep incline looking out to sea.  They climbed slowly to the top. It was very blustery and a little foggy, but they could see the sheer drop to the sea and the erosion by wind and water.  It was pretty spectacular, but would have been more so on a nice sunny day.



As they headed for Limerick the weather seemed to improve.  The sun broke through and the temperature was warmer. The drive to Limerick took them most of the afternoon.  Finally they arrived and found Trebor House, the Bed and Breakfast where they would be staying for a few days. Everything was tiny in Ireland they began to discover.  The castle had spoiled them, but here in the real world, they were staying in someone's house with other people. They had to go round the block and park their car in an impossible tiny space in the back yard.  Sean, the man of the house, directed them into the space. Brian wasn't sure how he would ever get the car out again or park it next time without help. Thank God the car was almost as small as the parking space.



Margaret, Sean's wife, showed them to their room and advised them on some restaurants for dinner.  She asked Brian about his name, if he was of Irish descent. When he said he was, she informed him that she knew a Kinney or two.  The name was not uncommon around Limerick. Brian was rather torn. His father's family was not something he had come to Ireland to seek out.  He had merely wanted to see the country where they came from.



Margaret wasn't about to give up easily.  She told them that a man named Kieran Kinney worked at King John's Castle in the heart of Limerick.  She said he knew the whole history of the Kinney clan and Brian should talk to him. Brian was rather ambivalent about the whole idea.  He was very vague in his response to her suggestion.



Brian and Justin decided to drive into Limerick and have dinner.  They could look around a bit and decide what else they wanted to do.  They crossed the River Shannon over an old bridge. A tourist bureau was open so they got some information and made reservations for a medieval feast at Knappogue Castle the next night.  When they returned to the B and B Justin had to direct Brian into their tiny parking space. He could tell Brian's short tether was fast reaching its limit.



Sean and Margaret invited them into their living room for a drink.  Justin prayed she didn't bug Brian about finding his family. Brian was touchy enough about that already.

Margaret told them that they should go to Bunratty Folk Park one day.  It was an historical park with a group of buildings and costumed characters who demonstrated how the people of Ireland lived in earlier times.  Artisans made crafts and there was a dinner and show. They decided that might be fun for one day.



Margaret advised them to take the bus tour of Limerick and from it they could decide on some of the things they'd like to see in more depth.  She didn't say any more about Kieran Kinney, for which Justin was very grateful.



When they retired for the night, Brian looked tired.  He had done all of the driving and Justin knew how hard he concentrated.  He leaned over Brian and decided to give him the best blowjob ever, before they went to sleep.  When he was through and Brian's clear and glimmering eyes looked at him, he said softly, "Are those Irish eyes smiling now?"



"Maybe," Brian said slowly running his fingers through Justin's flaxen locks.  There was a long pause and finally he asked," What do you think I should do about this family business?"



"What do you want to do?  Would you like to meet some of them and see what they are like?"



Brian thought about that for a minute.  "Yes, I would, but I'm afraid they'll be like my father and I'll hate them all."



"What if they're like you?" Justin asked.



"Then I'll hate them even more," Brian said only half kidding.



"You would not," Justin chastised him.  "I think you should go for it. You'll probably never be in Ireland again."


"Hmmm," Brian said, but Justin could see that he was seriously considering the idea.



"Let's do the Hop-on, Hop-off bus tour tomorrow.  We have a couple of days before you need to decide."



"True," Brian agreed as he reached for Justin's cock.  It was his turn to administer an expert blowjob.



The next morning they had breakfast at the B and B.  They could choose from cereal, juice, bread, toast, bacon and egg and grilled tomato.  Actually there was little choice about it as that was what was set before them. Justin devoured his and most of Brian's.  The man was horrified by the amount and content of the meal.



They took the bus tour of Limerick hearing all about the places described in "Angela's Ashes".  None of them existed anymore except the St. Vincent DePaul building. Justin said he had not read the story and Brian told him it was one of the most depressing books he had ever read.  The poverty and hardships of the family in the book were unbelievable. After he read it he could understand why so many people left Ireland to find a better life in America.



They passed by several impressive churches and Brian had some snide comments about the wealth of the Roman Catholic Church.  They also skirted the ruins of King John's Castle. Justin looked at Brian wondering if he had made up his mind about meeting Kieran Kinney.



They went to a little tea shop for lunch.  The rest of the afternoon they roamed the streets and did a bit of shopping.  They returned to the B and B in time to get ready to go to Knappogue Castle for the medieval feast.



The route to the feast was on a little card that they had retrieved at the Tourist Information Center.  They followed it carefully, but gradually the roads became narrower and less clearly marked. At one point they were on a dirt road and began to think they were totally lost when they saw a sign saying Knappogue Castle – 6 mi.  They kept going. After ten miles on the odometer there was still no sign of the castle. They really were lost.



They turned back but were unsure even that was the right direction.  When they saw a woman walking a dog, they pulled up beside her and asked if she could direct them to the castle.  She told them to go back through the town about two miles further on and then take the second right.



They did as she instructed, but once they got to the town they couldn't decide what were lanes and what were roads, so they didn't have any idea what the second right might be.  Once again they were sure they were lost. They finally pulled into a house and asked again. This time they got specific instructions. The castle wasn't far.



When they arrived and parked the car they were relieved to have finally found the right spot.  Girls in medieval dress greeted them and gave them cups of mead to drink. The dinner and show began.  To their chagrin it was all about medieval women and their place in the history of Ireland. Justin thought Brian was going to bring up his dinner when they began explaining about the show.



It turned out to be quite funny with lots of quirky pieces of history.  There was singing and light-hearted fun. They actually enjoyed it quite a bit and the food was delicious.  When the show ended and they went outside it was very dark with only a single light for the car park.



They buckled themselves into the car and Brian started the engine.



"Shit!" he said.  "I have no idea how we got here.  Do you?"



"No," Justin admitted.  "We made so many turns and backtracks I have no idea."



"There were hardly any signs either."



Brian pulled around to the front of the castle thinking that he would get directions from someone inside.  However, if their directions were anything like the ones they had to get them there, they could be lost all night.  There were several buses loading up. Just as they rounded the corner the Globus bus pulled away and Brian making an instant decision took off after it.



"What are you doing?" Justin asked.  "We need directions."



"I'm following that bus.  If it has a whole load of tourists, it will have to go to Limerick to find enough accommodation for all those on board."



"Oh," Justin said.  That made some kind of weird sense.



The bus tore off out of the castle.  The road was narrow and it was pitch black all around them.  Brian did his best to keep up with the bus on the winding road.



"Fuck!"  Justin heard Brian's exclamation.



"What's wrong?"



"That fucker is doing more than fifty miles an hour on these roads.  It's all I can do to keep up. If we lose him, we are screwed."



Justin held on as they rocketed after the taillights of the bus.  After what seemed an eternity, they began to see lights and the outskirts of a city.



"I hope this is Limerick," Justin said.



"Watch for a sign," Brian ordered.



"There!" Justin yelled.  "It said Ennis." He grabbed his map and quickly found Ennis.  "Shit! It's the opposite direction from Limerick," Justin groaned.



"At least we know where we are," Brian chuckled, letting out a long breath.



"Yeah, thirty miles from where we want to be."



They both laughed to relieve some of the tension.  Just then they came to an intersection with a sign pointing to Limerick.  Brian turned in that direction saluting the bus which went the other way.



An hour later they parked the car in the tiny space at Trebor House and were thankful that they were finally home.



                                                                  -----



The next day they went to Bunratty Folk Park.  It was kind of like Williamsburg back in the U.S.  The history was all Irish however. There were people showing how to make thatched roofs and weave Irish linen.  They spent the day wandering around and talking to the people who did the various crafts.



Brian seemed very interested in the metal worker who was making claddagh rings.  He spent quite awhile talking to the man while Justin wandered around the workshop.



"What was so interesting about that guy?" Justin asked as they left the shop.



"I really liked the Celtic designs and the craftsmanship," Brian explained.



"Hm, we've found another thing that you are interested in," Justin teased.



"Guess so," Brian said giving Justin kind of a funny look.



At dinner time they had booked the ceilidh, pronounced 'kayley', which meant get together.  They were ushered into a large room where Mr. McEnerny introduced his family. They would serve the dinner but also perform between courses.  The dinner was delicious, simple Irish fare, cooked to perfection. They had ale with their meal which began with a delicious salad, followed by the most incredible stew that either Justin or Brian had ever tasted.  In between there were members of the family who danced, sang, played the fiddle or penny whistle, told stories and just about anything else that you could imagine. They had a simple but fun evening.



That night when they returned to the B and B, Brian was kind of quiet.  Justin wondered if he hadn't really enjoyed the day. It wasn't the usual thing that either of them would choose to do.



"You're quiet tonight.  Is everything all right?" Justin asked.



"I've just been thinking," Brian explained.  "I'd like to go to King John's Castle tomorrow."



"Sure," Justin said with a little smile.  "Do you want to talk to Kieran Kinney?" He had been hoping Brian would do this.



"I … think…so," Brian said slowly.



"I think you're making the right decision," Justin offered encouragement.



"I hope so."



Justin snuggled into Brian's arms to find his mouth covered in a warm and inviting kiss and his groin pressed against a hard and demanding cock.



                                                                 -----



They arrived at the castle just after it opened to the public.  They paid their admission, but then went to the information desk and Brian asked if Kieran Kinney was at work this day.  The girl told them he was and wanted to know if they'd like to speak to him. She called on her phone and a few minutes later a man about sixty years of age with salt and pepper gray hair and a handsome face came toward them.



Justin took one look and saw Brian's eyes in those of the man in front of them.  Brian couldn't help but notice as well. The man gave them an appraising look, then smiled and extended his hand.



"You have to be a Kinney," he said with a broadening smile.



"I do?" Brian asked.



"Those eyes have been passed down for generations," Kieran explained.



"I'm Brian Kinney.  This is my partner Justin Taylor."  Brian could tell that Kieran understood the relationship immediately.  It didn't seem to matter as the man's facial expression showed no change from the welcoming smile he had given them.



"Would you like to come up to me office?" Kieran asked.  "We could talk about how we might be related." The Irish brogue had crept in just a bit.



"That sounds like a plan," Brian said.  "Do you want to come, Justin, or would you rather look around the castle?"



"I'd like to hear what Mr. Kinney has to say," Justin said.  "We can look at the castle later."



"Call me Kieran and I'll give you a personal tour," Kieran offered, "after we talk."



Both Justin and Brian liked this man immediately.  He seemed kind, unflappable and eager to talk to them.  Justin was very glad, since he knew Brian had been worrying about a face to face meeting with some of his father's family.



They spent a couple of hours in Kieran's office.  He had a family tree on his computer and was able to figure out that Brian's great-grandfather had gone to America from Ireland.  That man was Kieran's grandfather's cousin so they were distantly related. He added Jack and Joan and Brian and Claire and her children and finally Gus to the family tree, thanking Brian for coming to him and updating the information.  Brian wasn't too keen on talking about Jack and Claire, but Kieran didn't know them and was very good at drawing Brian out.



After they had got all the connections squared away, Brian squirmed in his chair.  Justin knew he wanted to ask something, but was having an internal struggle about whether he should.  Kieran obviously was very perceptive too, because he studied Brian and finally said, "So ask me?"



Brian looked surprised for a minute.  Then he said slowly, "Is there a history of alcoholism in the Kinney family?"



"Name any Irish family and there's a history of alcoholism," Kieran said ruefully.



"Really?" Brian asked.  "I didn't think it was that bad."



"It's not," Kieran said quickly.  "Irishmen love their liquor, but I didn't mean to imply that everyone is an alcoholic.  There are certainly more than a few in the Kinney clan who would fit that description, but there are many more who don't.  I like a good drink as much as the next fellow, but I'm not an alcoholic. How about you?"



"I don't think I'm an alcoholic, but my father probably was," Brian admitted.  "I do overdo it from time to time." Brian glanced at Justin who smiled sympathetically.



"Don't we all!" Kieran added.  "As long as it doesn't get out of control, I don't think you need to worry."



Justin saw a look of relief pass over Brian's face.  He was glad they had come to see this man.



"Would you and Justin like to come to dinner at my house tonight?" Kieran asked.



"We don't want to put you out," Brian said quickly.



"You won't be putting me out at all, me boy.  Please come, I'd love to have you."



"All right, if you're sure," Brian said.



"I'll invite a few other local Kinney's for you to meet."



Justin saw the momentary look of panic on Brian's face, but he had already accepted the invitation.  Kieran took them down to the castle which was mostly just the foundation, the rest having been destroyed over the years.  He told them the history and showed them some of the key exhibits. After awhile he said he really should get back to work, but he was looking forward to seeing them for dinner.  He left and they wandered around for another hour, before leaving to go find lunch in a pub nearby.



When they pulled up to Kieran's house in a slightly upscale part of Limerick, Brian looked nervous.  "It's going to be fine," Justin said patting Brian's arm.



"I'm not worried about dinner," Brian said.  "It's meeting more Kinney's that kind of freaks me out."



"Kieran's pretty cool.  Maybe the rest of them will be too."



"Not bloody likely, if my own family is any indication."



They went up to the door which was opened immediately by Kieran.  He welcomed them to his home. They went into the living room to find a man a little younger than Kieran coming out of the kitchen.



"Brian, Justin," Kieran began, "this is my partner, Seamus."



Justin felt his jaw drop and then looked at Brian who seemed to be in the same state of shock.



"Why Kieran, you old dog, I didn't get that vibe from you at all," Brian said.



"Most people don't."



"My gaydar is usually pretty reliable," Brian said.



Kieran chuckled.  "Not in this case."


There were just the four of them for dinner for which Brian was eternally grateful.  Kieran said he had invited a few people for drinks later on. He gave Brian permission to escape at any time if he didn't like them or found it all too overwhelming.  Justin had to smile. Kieran was one quick cookie. He seemed to have Brian all figured out.



They learned that Seamus worked in a bank and that he and Kieran had been together for almost twenty years.  Dinner was very good. Kieran did most of the cooking for the couple and was quite a capable chef. They had more than a bit of wine, enough to make everyone relaxed and in good spirits when the other family members started arriving.



Brian was sure he would never remember their names or jobs, but most of them were very outgoing and easy to talk to.  There were no outright alcoholics that Brian could pick out and that gave him some small comfort. Maybe he had been wrong to think all the Kinney's were like his father.  Maybe that also meant that he didn't have to be like his father either.


They ended up staying late into the night listening to stories that the family members told.  After midnight people began heading out, most of them having to go to work the next day. When they had all left, Brian and Justin were still there.  Justin could barely believe that Brian had not only lasted through the evening, but had seemed to enjoy it.



When they finally said they should be going, Kieran grabbed Brian in a bear hug and hung on.  "I'm so glad you looked me up, Brian," he said. "I'd like to keep in touch with you."



"I'd like that too," Brian said.



"I hope the family wasn't too overwhelming.  There's actually a lot more of them around these parts.  This was just what was available on short notice."



Brian chuckled.  "Thank God. That was plenty of Kinney's for one night."



"You didn't really mind meeting them, did you?" Kieran asked seriously.



"I had a good time and it was nice to see the kind of people they are."



"I'm glad … for you," Kieran said, a lot more being expressed in those words than one would think.



"Thanks for having us to dinner," Brian said, "and for … understanding."



Brian and Justin left Kieran's feeling like their trip to Ireland had been very worthwhile even if the rest of it turned out to be totally boring.



                                                                -----



The next day they decided to drive to Adare, a little village they had heard about.  It called itself "the prettiest town in Ireland". It was preserved in the old Irish style with colorful buildings, thatch-roofed cottages and picturesque gardens.  They wandered around for awhile and took some pictures, but there really wasn't much to do.



They decided to head on to Killarney.  On the way they saw signs for Dunloe Gap and Kate Kearney's Cottage.  They turned off to see what this was. The Gap is a valley with three lakes.  They took a trap, a small two seater wagon pulled by a pony, out over a trail to a spectacular view of the lakes.  It was quite a sight.



They had dinner at Kate Kearney's cottage and then headed back for Limerick.  Justin thought Brian seemed more relaxed now that he had met some of his family and faced the unknown that had been haunting him.



They had heard about the Ring of Kerry, so they got up early the next day to drive there.  Basically they drove around a peninsula of land on a two lane road. This area was called the Ring of Kerry.  The road was unbelievably narrow. There was much traffic and slow drivers. Occasionally they met a bus which meant pulling as tight to the stone cliff as possible and hoping the bus could get by.  It took them most of the day with a few stops to look at the sea. Brian was exhausted by the end of it, and Justin was too, from grabbing Brian's arm and willing it to be over.



When they returned to Limerick, they found a nice place for dinner.  Tomorrow they would leave for Blarney and the famous Blarney Stone.



The drive to Blarney didn't take too long.  They discovered the Blarney Woolen Mills which was like a big department store.  Brian bought them matching fisherman knit sweaters and some more gifts. They went to Blarney Castle, arriving after most of the tour buses had left.  That meant they could get to see the Blarney Stone without a million other people in front of them.



Blarney Castle is mainly a ruin with most of the outer walls standing.  They went up the narrow stairs that led to the stone. At the top was an open area with a hole at one end.  To kiss the Blarney Stone they had to lie on their back with their heads actually hanging out of the side of the castle several stories up.  Brian went first; not exactly sure he wanted to. He leaned back and slid out so that upside down he could place his lips on the stone. He teased Justin about being nervous, but Justin managed to do the same thing.  They were quite proud of themselves afterwards.



Getting down from the top of the castle was an adventure.  The down stairway was a narrow circular and rather dark staircase with worn stone steps barely wide enough to get their feet on.  Brian had more trouble than Justin because he was taller and his feet were bigger. Justin ended up going first and warning Brian about the irregular steps, especially where Brian would need to turn his foot sideways to stay on the step.  There was a rope stretched down the center of the staircase for people to hold onto in case they slipped. It was quite dark as they went down, adding to the claustrophobic feeling.



"The Irish are fucking insane!" Brian said when they finally emerged from the stairwell.  "If we had something like this in the U.S., it would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Don't the fucking Irish make anything that isn't for fucking leprechauns?  Everything is so tiny and narrow!" Brian was pissed at having Justin lead him down and feeling out of control.



Justin giggled at Brian's tirade.  "Just think, now you can tell everybody what a sweet talker you are because you kissed the Blarney Stone, and survived."



"Not fucking likely!" Brian retorted.



"See!  You're sweet talking me already," and he grinned at Brian.



Brian burst out laughing and scooped the boy into his arms, kissing and hugging him.  "Thank you for saving me," he whispered.



"Anytime," Justin whispered back.



The rest of their trip was pretty uneventful.  They went to Cork and toured the gaol. Somehow Brian thought that was appropriate.  It actually was a very interesting tour. The rest of the port city was much like the other cities they had seen.



They moved on to Waterford and toured the Waterford Crystal Factory.  Brian bought a few things there, including a bowl that both he and Justin liked and they were sure Jennifer would love.



In Kilkenny they toured the castle which was more like a museum.  The castle was built in 1172. Over the years it was added to. It should have had four towers, but one had been blown up by Cromwell in 1650.  There were beautiful gardens outside the building which now looked more like a Victorian Manor than a medieval castle.



Finally they headed for Dublin to stay at the St. Stephens Hotel.  It was quite a nice hotel on St. Stephen's Green, quite a change from the B and B's.  They walked down to Grafton Street which is a street made into a pedestrian walkway, and considered the place to shop in Dublin.  It had many North American stores and eateries and was very much like a mall back home. At one end was the statue of Molly Malone selling her cockles and mussels.  Justin got a picture of Brian leaning against her, one he was sure would be good for blackmail somewhere along the line.



They went to the Temple Bar area where there are lots of bars and clubs.  They even managed to find a gay club and do a little dancing.



Over the next few days they saw all the sites, including Christchurch Cathedral and Dublinia depicting the history of Ireland, Trinity College where the Book of Kells is located, the Georgian townhouses with the colorful doors, Dublin Castle, Phoenix Park and the Post Office where the 1916 rising took place.



As their trip drew to a close Brian and Justin finished up their shopping and got ready to return home.  Brian called Kieran Kinney to say goodbye and make sure he knew how to contact him. Once aboard their plane they had time to reflect on their trip.



"I had the best time," Justin said as they settled into their seats.



"So did I.  Even better than I thought I would," Brian agreed.



"You surprised me a lot of times."



"I did?  How?"



"Remember at the Burren when you said there were many things you were interested in that might surprise me?"



"Yeah.  Were you keeping a list?"



"Kind of.  You like rocks."  Brian grinned, but said nothing.  "You were very interested in that goldsmith who made claddagh rings.  You found out all about your family and stayed in a room full of them for a whole night."  Brian made a slight face and then smiled. "You really liked seeing how they make Waterford crystal.  You kissed the Blarney Stone. I never thought you would do that," Justin said.



"You can't come to Ireland and not kiss the fucking thing," Brian stated.



"Did you have a good time?"



"I had a blast, especially because you did it with me."



"I can hardly wait to get home and develop all our pictures and give everyone their presents and tell them about all the things we did, Ashford Castle and horseback riding and the Ring of Kerry and …"



"Take a breath, Sunshine.  I was there too. You don't have to tell me."



"I know."  Justin swatted him playfully.  "I so loved every minute of it."  Justin looked at Brian until the man turned his head to stare into Justin's eyes.  "I see happiness and contentment in your eyes," Justin observed.



"For a day or two anyway," Brian agreed.



"Beautiful Kinney eyes, happy Irish eyes," Justin said softly running his fingers down Brian's cheek and snuggling closer to the man he loved.

Chapter 15 - All Present And Accounted For by Thyme

 

All Present and Accounted For

The plane finally touched down in Pittsburgh.  Brian and Justin picked up their luggage and got in line to get a cab.  They hadn't wanted anyone to pick them up, wanting to savor every last moment of their time together alone.  They had promised to invite everyone over to tell them about their trip. Brian had made that promise with the proviso that there be no excruciating slide show like they had suffered through at Dr. Dave's when he and Michael had come back from France.  Justin had promised to think of a more creative and less boring way to tell everyone about their trip.



At last they got their turn for a cab and were back at the loft relatively quickly.  Both of them were tired, having left Dublin around noon. It was now evening in Pittsburgh, but that didn't match with Irish time.  Brian said they needed to stay up until at least ten o'clock Pittsburgh time so that they wouldn't be too jetlagged the next day.



As they unpacked, Justin sat down on the edge of the bed.  Brian saw him pick up the fisherman knit sweater they had bought in Ireland and press his face into it.



"You all right, Sunshine?" Brian asked.



"I don't want it to be over.  That was the best two weeks of my life," Justin stated firmly.



Brian grinned at him.  "It was fun, wasn't it?"



"It was spectacular!" Justin gushed.  "We saw so many things, met your family and I got to spend all that time alone with you.  To say nothing of the fabulous sex we had!"



"We can still have that," Brian said with a smirk.



Justin could feel his cock quicken as he saw the look on Brian's face.  "We should unpack first," he said.



"Who says?" Brian asked.  He swept his suitcase and clothes off the bed and dove on top of Justin.  He felt his young lover arch up into him and he moaned his pleasure. Justin was always so willing and so wanton.  "Jesus Christ, Justin, you turn me on with just a look. I don't know how I ever thought I could live without you."



"You can't, and you better never try!"



Justin's mouth crushed Brian's and he welded his body to that of the older man.  He could feel Brian's cock straining to be free. He reached between them and popped the buttons of Brian's jeans.  His hand found the hard and pulsing shaft and stroked. Brian moaned again, loving the feel of the soft yet firm hand.



They rolled around on the bed trying to get rid of clothes as quickly as possible; neither wanting to lose contact with the other while they did.  Finally they were both naked and panting. Justin felt Brian's hands grasp his ass and squeeze. He whispered, "Brian," so softly that it was barely audible.  He felt Brian's cock trapped between them jump in anticipation. He loved how he could do that to the older man. "Brian," he whispered again, "Brian."



He heard the cap of the lube pop and felt Brian's finger press into him.  "Brian," he gasped a little louder this time. Then "Brian!" more emphatically as he felt more fingers being used on his pliable pucker.



Brian rolled him onto his back, ripped open a condom and positioned his cock for entry.  Justin opened his legs wide and smiled up at his lover. "I want you," he whispered. "I need you.  I'll always need you. Brian."



He felt the cock breach the outer ring of muscle and gasped.  He knew Brian loved that sound. Brian pressed in further and Justin called "Brian" again.  He wanted to be filled with Brian's cock. He wanted to be such an integral part of this man that he could never break away.



"Briiiaaan!" Justin called as the thick hard cock penetrated to his very core.  He was sure if he swallowed he would taste it in the back of his throat. He felt Brian lean back and pump forward with the most excruciatingly wonderful torque that he had ever felt.  The breath was pushed from his lungs and he grabbed Brian's shoulders fiercely and screamed, "Brian!!!" one more time. His legs came up around Brian's hips and he clasped the man to him, not allowing him to draw back for the next stroke.



He looked into Brian's eyes as he held him there.  "Brian," he whispered in his ear, "I love you so much."  He released the man and allowed his strokes to resume. He felt Brian hit his prostate again and again, and he knew he was babbling, "Brian, Brian, Brian."  Increasingly he became less and less coherent.



Ripples of pleasure rolled through his body.  He felt electric charges chase each other up his spine.  Brian grabbed his sac and squeezed gently. "Brian!" he called one last time, as his balls pulled up and he felt the orgasm flood through him like an unstoppable wave.  The cum shot up onto his chest and face, and his anal muscles contracted around Brian.



He heard Brian yell, "Justin!" the first sound he had made other than moans and bleats of pleasure.  He came in scorching intensity inside the man he loved and would never be separated from again.



They lay cradled together when it was through.  Each let out a long sigh, fully satisfied, completely sated and sorry that it was over so soon.



"I wish I could stay inside you forever," Brian whispered, his fingers touching Justin's cheek with a tenderness that bespoke the moment they had just shared.



"I wish you could too," Justin said caressing Brian's lips with a soft and gentle kiss.  He moved to turn over on his back and clean himself up.



Brian stopped him.  "Don't move," he whispered.  "I want to memorize this moment.  If we ever fight or disagree, I want to be able to think about this moment and how perfect we are together."



Justin smiled up at him and stayed still.  Who would believe that the hard hearted and jaded Brian Kinney would say something like that?  "I am so lucky," he whispered. "To have you say that to me means the world."



"You mean the world to me."



"And you to me."



They fell asleep shortly after, more than content and completely united in each other's arms.



                                                                  -----



The next week went by in a blur.  Justin started his year at PIFA and was immediately landed with many assignments.  Brian had much to catch up on at work. They had laundry and shopping and other mundane activities to fit in.  Justin had dropped off their pictures to be developed and had talked to Emmett about planning the party to tell everyone about their trip.  The weekend came much too soon.



Everyone was invited to the loft Saturday afternoon.  Justin had made a huge pot of Irish stew in the morning and it bubbled away all day on the stove.  He had followed a recipe from a cookbook that called this "The Best Irish Stew Ever", but it didn't taste as good as the stuff they had had in Ireland.  However, it wasn't bad.



Friday night he had made Brian stay home with him to go over their pictures from the trip.  He and Emmett had decided to make groupings of pictures from each place they had visited in Ireland.  They stuck them on foam boards and set them around the loft. Brian had helped Justin pick the best pictures of each place, and then Justin had arranged them on the boards.  Limerick took two boards, as they had spent the most time there, and Brian had agreed to let Justin make one board of all the Kinney's they had met.



Brian had brought some easels from the office and their whole trip was laid out around the loft for everyone to look at and ask questions if they wished.  They had a little row of gift bags in the closet with all their presents for everyone inside.



Everyone began arriving around four o'clock and Brian served beer, wine and cocktails to their guests as they settled in.  When Lindsay walked in with Gus, the little boy ran to his father and jumped up and down wanting to be picked up. Brian lifted him up and kissed his cheek.



"Did you miss me, Sonny Boy?" he asked gently.



"Yes," Gus said giving him a sloppy kiss and a big hug.



"He brought his atlas with him.  We've been showing him where you and Justin went," Lindsay explained.  "He'll want to point it out to you."



"We can do that in a bit.  Okay, Sonny Boy?"



Gus nodded and Brian took him to the kitchen to get him some juice.  Everyone had a drink and was walking from easel to easel looking at the pictures, making comments and laughing.



Justin came over to Brian and took Gus who gave him a big kiss.  Brian filled his sippy cup with juice.



"That was a great way to display our pictures," Brian said to Justin, motioning towards their guests.



"Yeah," Justin said with a smile.  "Emmett helped me figure that out. He really does have some great ideas for parties."



"Especially when they're not too over the top," Brian snorted.  "Did he want us to dress up as leprechauns?"



Justin chuckled, and didn't admit that Emmett had proposed something like that.  "Be nice to Emmett," he said. "He helped me with the party, and he helped you before we left."



"Yeah, he did," Brian said thoughtfully.



"Hey, guys, who are all these people under the Limerick heading?" Debbie called.



Brian looked at Justin wanting him to explain.



"They're your family," Justin said, meaning Brian should go tell them about the pictures.



Brian took a stiff drink of his Beam and moved over to the easel where most of their guests had gathered.  "They're Kinney's," Brian said.


"Kinney's?" everyone asked surprised.



"And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  These are the ones who came to meet us on one day's notice.  There are plenty more of them over there," Brian continued.



"Fuck, the Irish are a prolific lot!" Ted said.



Brian made a slight face at him, but pointed to the picture that best showed Kieran.  "This is Kieran Kinney, the man who engineered my meeting 'the family'. We met him after the mistress of our B and B told me she knew several Kinney's.  He's keeping a family tree," Brian explained.



"He has Brian's eyes," Justin offered.



"Really?  After all these generations?" Vic asked.



"Seems to be a Kinney trait.  He recognized me as a Kinney right away when he looked at my eyes," Brian said rather proudly.  "His grandfather was my great grandfather's cousin."



"He had us to dinner and we met all these other Kinney's for drinks afterwards," Justin explained.



"Who's this next to Kieran in this picture?" Jennifer asked.



"That's Seamus, Kieran's partner.  They've been together for almost twenty years," Brian said looking right at Justin as he said it.



"Fuck, the homo Kinney's," Debbie joked.



Everyone chuckled but Brian.  "I think he's the only one," Brian said.



"He was great.  We both liked him immediately," Justin said.  "He took us on a personal tour of King John's Castle where he works."



"Fags are the best tour guides," Emmett said with a smile.



Everyone laughed.



"What?" he said.  "It's true."



"Yes, it is," Ted said kissing his cheek.



"Where's King John's Castle?" Molly asked.



Brian pointed it out to her and Justin explained a bit about the history.  The questions went on from there and they moved from easel to easel answering whatever anyone wanted to know about.  They all oohed and aahed over Ashford Castle. They listened intently to the story of leaning out the side of Barney Castle to kiss the Blarney Stone.  They chuckled over the story of Brian chasing the bus from Knappogue Castle. By the time they were through they had talked about all the castles and covered the whole trip. Nobody had fallen asleep.  It was also well past dinner time.



"Wish I could have seen you and Brian hanging out the side of a castle," Daphne teased.



"You would have laughed yourself silly," Justin conceded.



"I'm glad you two got away and had such a great time.  I was worried. Brian seems … better."


"Yeah," Justin agreed.  "He is. He saw a lot of Dr. Frank before we left and he's scheduled to see him a few more times.  I think the worst is over though."



"That's good," Daphne said.



Justin was quickly setting out the food with help from Daphne and his mother.  The stew was dished up in soup bowls and served with a crusty bun. Everyone said it was delicious and complimented Justin on it.  He said he wished they could taste the stew at Bunratty Folk Park. It was beyond delicious. Everyone wanted to know about Bunratty so Justin held court for the next while telling them all about it.



Gus wandered over to Brian carrying a big book.



"What's this, Sonny Boy?" Brian asked



"Atlas," Gus replied saying the word slowly to get it right.



Brian looked at the book and flipped it open. It was a child's atlas of the world.  On each page was a map of a continent or a country with all the things around it that were noteworthy of that place.  The book had opened to Australia.



"Do you know what that is?" Brian asked pointing to a picture of a kangaroo.



"Kangaroo," Gus said immediately, looking proud of himself.  "Show me Ireland," he asked.



Brian flipped through the book and found Ireland.  There were pictures of the green fields of the Irish landscape and the Cliffs of Moher and some castles.



"Dada sleeps there?" Gus asked pointing to a castle.



"Not in that one, but in one quite like it."



"Take me next time?" Gus asked with a sad look in his eyes.



"That would be fun.  We were supposed to go back to Justin's cottage and go fishing again.  Would you like to do that?" Brian asked.



"Yes!" Gus said emphatically.  "Now!"



"We can't go right now, but I'll see what I can do.  Okay?"



"Okay," Gus agreed.  "Show me more places," he asked pointing to the atlas.



Brian turned the page and found a map of Great Britain.  "There's Big Ben," Brian said pointing to the picture of the tower on the Parliament Buildings in London.



Gus looked confused, then he pointed in the direction of Michael and said, "No, that's Big Ben!"  Brian looked toward Michael and Ben who cracked up laughing at Gus' description of Ben.



Brian flipped a few more pages and found Germany.  Not knowing if Gus would recognize any of the things on the page, Brian asked, "What do you think is in Germany?"



Gus' brow furrowed in thought.  "Germs?" he said finally.



Everyone had been listening to the exchange after Gus' Big Ben comment, and they all cracked up again at this bit of wisdom.



Brian went through a few more pages with his son while everybody else was finishing their stew.  Many had gone back for seconds saying they really enjoyed it. Justin was pleased. For dessert he had purchased a huge cake and had it decorated with an Irish leprechaun and shamrocks.  He got them all to gather around while he cut it and served everyone a piece. They got cups of coffee or another drink and found a seat to eat their dessert.



When that was nearly finished Brian motioned Justin to follow him up to the bedroom where they retrieved the gift bags for everyone.  They stepped out from behind the glass partitions laden with their presents.



Emmett clapped his hands in anticipation.  "Oh, goody, presents," he gushed.



"If everyone will find a seat somewhere, we'll give out the presents we picked out especially for each of you in Ireland," Justin said.



When everyone was settled Brian called Gus over and quietly asked him if he would deliver the bags to each person.  Gus nodded and smiled at his father proud to be given such an important job. Brian handed him the first bag and whispered in his ear.  Gus carefully carried it over to Vic.



"For me?" Vic asked and Gus nodded his head.



Vic opened the bag and pulled out a beautiful blue wool scarf and matching cap.  The scarf was soft as down and felt great wrapped around his neck. The cap looked jaunty.



"You didn't have to bring me anything, boys," Vic said a little choked up.  "But this is lovely and I'm not giving it back."



Brian smiled, "It'll keep you warm in these fucking Pittsburgh winters."



Vic smiled back.  "Thanks, guys."



Brian handed Gus another bag and told him to be very careful with this one.  He whispered who to take it to in Gus' ear. Gus very carefully carried it over to Debbie.  Debbie took it from the little boy and gave him a kiss. Gus giggled and ran back to his father.  Debbie opened the bag and pulled out a Belleek porcelain basket. She gasped when she saw it.



"I hope you like it," Justin said.  "It was actually made in Northern Ireland, but we got it in Blarney.  They have been making what is called Parian china for over a hundred years and are world famous."



"It's so beautiful and delicate."  Debbie's hands ran softly over the fine woven strips of clay that had formed the basket.  It was a latticework design with tiny openings between the strips. The handle and top edges were decorated with tiny shamrocks glazed in green.  Brian could see tears in Debbie's eyes.



"It's all handmade," Brian said.  "I hope you like it."



"I love it.  Thank you both so much."  Debbie stood up and kissed both Justin and Brian.  When she sat down she cradled the basket in her lap, continuing to run her fingers over the tiny shamrocks.



Brian leaned over and whispered in Gus' ear.  He gave one bag to the boy who carried it to Michael and whispered in Michael's ear.  Michael took the bag but didn't open it. Gus went back to his father and got a second bag which he took to Ben.  "Open now!" Gus ordered.



Michael and Ben looked at each other and opened their bags.  Inside each was an Irish wool sweater, not matching, but in similar tones of greens and blues.  They each slipped their sweater on over their heads and turned to face everyone. Everybody told them they looked great and surprisingly the sweaters fit nicely.



Michael gave Brian a hug and Ben did the same with Justin.  "Gonna keep us all warm this winter?" Michael asked.



"We have to look after our family," Brian said, his usual tongue in cheek barely covering the sincerity of his words.



Brian picked up another bag which he set down beside Gus.  "This one is heavy so I think you better drag it over to Jennifer."  Gus nodded and pulled the bag over to Justin's mother.



"Thank you, Gus," Jennifer said and gave the boy a peck on the cheek.  Gus grinned and retreated back to his father. Jennifer opened the bag and carefully lifted out the gray Waterford box containing the crystal bowl they had bought for her.  She gasped in delight. "It's so beautiful," she said.



"We thought of you as soon as we saw it," Justin said.



She got up and gave her son a big hug and kiss.  She then moved over to Brian. "You didn't have to do this," she said softly.



"We wanted to," Brian replied and she gave him a big hug too.



Brian handed Gus a smaller bag and whispered in his ear where to take it.  He carried it over to Molly and handed it to her. She seemed surprised that they had got something for her.  She opened the bag and fished out a small jewelry box from deep inside. She opened it to reveal a tiny gold harp on a fine gold chain.  Justin went over to help her put it on.



"The harp is an old Irish symbol," Justin said as he fastened the clasp.  "We thought it would be appropriate for someone with a fine Irish name like Molly."



Molly gave her brother a hug.  "Thank you … both," she said her fingers holding on to the little harp.  She went over and gave Brian a tentative hug. He pulled her closer and hugged her with genuine warmth.  "Thank you," she whispered in his ear.



"You're welcome," Brian said releasing her.



Brian handed a similar bag to Gus and whispered who to take it to.  He carried it over to Daphne and handed it to her. Daphne gave him a little peck on the cheek and opened her bag.  It contained a similar jewelry box to Molly's. Inside was a gold chain with a shamrock charm hanging on it. Justin went over to help her put it on.



"It's beautiful," she said hugging Justin tight.  She walked over to Brian who pulled her into a warm hug.  "Thank you," she whispered.



"Thank you," he whispered back, "for talking to Justin and being there for him when I was such a mess."



"Anytime, Brian," she said sincerely.  He gave her a kiss and she giggled like a ten year old, quickly retreating to her seat.



Brian took another bag and whispered to Gus who it was for.  The boy dragged this one over to Emmett and Ted. Emmett gave Gus a kiss.



"It's for you both," Brian said.



Emmett pulled out another Waterford box.  He opened it and said, "Oh!"



"I hope you and Ted like them," Justin said.  "They're for your romantic dinners together."



Emmett held up a pair of gorgeous crystal candlesticks.  There were lots of complimentary words from everyone present.



"There's one for each of you," Brian said tongue in cheek, "so you better stay together."



"I think these are the most elegant things I have ever received," Emmett said with a tear in his eye.  "Thank you both so much." Emmett rushed over and hugged Justin rocking him from side to side. Ted followed him doing the same thing.



Emmett moved over to Brian and grabbed him in a big hug.  Surprisingly Brian returned the hug, whispering, "Thank you," in Emmett's ear.



"You're welcome, Brian.  Anytime you need me, I'm there."  He knew Brian was referring to Emmett bringing him home after his all night binge.



Ted approached Brian and gave him a tentative hug which surprisingly Brian accepted.



"These are the most beautiful things," Emmett continued to gush, holding on to one of his candlesticks.  Ted kissed the top of his head.



"Are we done?" Brian asked.  There was clearly one more bag which everyone assumed was for Gus.  They all looked at Lindsay and Melanie who had not received anything.  Brian reached for the bag and told Gus what to do. The little boy carried it over to his mothers.  Lindsay opened the bag expecting it to be a toy or something for Gus.



She took in a breath as she pulled out a beautiful damask linen tablecloth.  She unfolded it to find that the corners had been cut out and inset with fine Irish lace.  A little border of lace went all around the edges. "This is exquisite," she said.



"It's for you and Melanie to use in your home," Justin said.



"It must have cost a fucking fortune," Melanie observed.



"It did, but who's keeping track?" Brian said with a tinge of irony.



Lindsay hugged Brian and Melanie grabbed Justin.  They left it at that knowing that Melanie would not want to hug Brian.



That left Gus with no present.  They couldn't believe that Brian and Justin would come back without something for Gus.



"Come with me, Gus," Brian said taking his son's hand.  They went up the steps and into the bathroom. Justin followed them with a grin.  The bathroom door closed and everyone waited. After a minute or two the door opened and they stood at the top of the steps from the bedroom.  Gus stood between Brian and Justin, each of them holding one of the boy's hands like they had in Justin's drawing of so long ago. They were wearing identical fisherman knit sweaters in Irish wool.  They had found a miniature one for Gus to match the ones they had bought for themselves in Ireland.



Debbie started clapping and everyone joined in.  Gus grinned from ear to ear happy to look just like his Dada and Justin.



Suddenly they were surrounded by people thanking them and telling them that they shouldn't have been so extravagant.  Everyone seemed to love their presents.



Gradually people went to get more cake or coffee or another drink.  They sat around talking and laughing. Michael sought out Brian who sat on the steps to the bedroom.



"You guys had a great trip by the sound of it," he said.



"We did," Brian agreed.



"I'm glad you're feeling better.  I know there was something wrong before you left.  I tried to call you a lot of times."



"I wasn't ready to talk to anyone at that point.  I was a mess."



"What happened?  Do you want to talk about it?"


"Not really.  I think I've put it behind me.  Justin and I are working out some things still, but I think we're going to be all right," Brian said seriously.



"If you ever need me or need to talk, you know I'm there.  Always will be."



"Thanks, Mikey.  I know." He hugged his best friend.



The party was beginning to wind down.  Melanie and Lindsay said they should really take Gus home to bed.  The little boy made a big fuss and said he wanted to stay with his Dada.  Brian said he was welcome to stay, but they hadn't brought all the paraphernalia for him to do so.  Justin said they could make do and they'd bring him home tomorrow afternoon.



Everybody took that as their cue to leave even though it was not very late.  They knew Brian and Justin would have trouble getting Gus calmed down and into bed, so they thought they would get out of the way.  They left with many kisses and hugs, each clutching their gift that was greatly appreciated. They made sure they told Brian and Justin that as they left.



Once everyone was gone, Brian asked Gus if he was ready for bed.  The little boy most emphatically told him no. Brian groaned knowing it could be awhile before they would get him to sleep.



"Let's go look at the pictures again," Justin suggested thinking that the little boy would have had trouble seeing with all the adults milling around the pictures earlier on.



Gus took Justin's hand and led him over to the pictures of the Kinney's from Limerick.  "Who are they?" he asked.



"That's part of your family," Justin explained.  "They all live in Ireland."



"Oh," Gus said thinking about that.



Justin proceeded to take Gus through all the pictures that sat around the loft.  Brian marveled at his patience with Gus. Nothing ever seemed like too much trouble.



"No wonder he can put up with me," Brian thought.  "The patience of Job."



Brian went over to join Justin who was telling Gus about Kilkenny, what a pretty town it was with a beautiful castle.



"Dada," Gus said, "tell me about the bus."



Brian realized he wanted to hear about their ride from Knappogue Castle once more, so he began the tale with them getting lost.  By the time he finished Gus seemed to have quieted down and even yawned a couple of times.



"Let's get your clothes off," Brian said.



"You get to sleep in your underwear tonight," Justin said trying to make it sound like a big deal.



"Go to the bathroom, Gus, and wash your face and hands.  We'll have a shower in the morning," Brian told the boy.



Gus went up to the bathroom.  Brian said quietly to Justin, "Remember that we were going to try to take Gus fishing again?"



Justin nodded.  "We kind of had some other things to deal with." Brian made a face.  "Do you want me to see if I can get my uncle's place again?"



"Yeah.  I think Gus was disappointed that we didn't take him to Ireland, so maybe we could do the fishing thing again."



"Sounds good to me," Justin smiled.



Gus came out of the bathroom dressed in his underpants.  "Sleep with me?" he asked with a wistful look on his face.



Brian and Justin went up to him and laid one on each side of the boy in the big bed.



"Thank you for handing out the presents today, Gus," Justin said.



Gus smiled up at him.



"Did you like the party?" Brian asked.



"Yes," Gus said.



"Did you like your big boy sweater just like Dada's and mine?" Justin asked.



"Yes," Gus grinned then yawned.



Brian rubbed Gus' tummy and before long the little boy drifted off.



"That was easier than I thought it was going to be," Brian whispered.



"He's a good kid," Justin said as they carried Gus to the couch and got him settled for the night.  They each gave the little boy a kiss.



"Now we can use our bed for other big boy things," Justin said with a wicked grin.



"The perfect ending to a good day," Brian said putting his arm around Justin's waist as they climbed the steps to their waiting bed.

Chapter 16 - The Meaning of Commitment by Thyme

 

The Meaning of Commitment

The Jeep pulled into the path leading to Justin's uncle's cottage.  They were returning once more for a fishing expedition with Gus. The little boy dozed in his car seat while Justin and Brian had driven the last few miles.  It was early evening. They had hoped to get to the cottage before dark and they had barely made it.



Brian stopped the car and carried Gus into the cottage.  The sun was mostly set behind the lake but there was still some of the pink left for them to see.  They went out onto the deck and watched the last of the pink fade from the lake and the sky.



"It's still amazing," Brian said.



"Amazing!" Gus agreed, now fully awake.



Brian looked at his son.  He was very proud of the little boy, how bright and creative he was.  Brian gave Justin a lot of credit for that, even though he knew Lindsay's artistic abilities were a more likely source.  He still felt that Justin had instilled his love of drawing into Gus.



They went back inside as the last light faded.  They still had to unload the car and get settled in.  Gus should really be in bed already. But this was a mini holiday for all three of them, and the day to day rules didn't apply.  Brian smiled to himself. This was going to be a very special weekend. He knew what was hidden away in his overnight bag and a shiver ran up his spine as he thought about what was to come.



An hour later they sat on the couch, Gus snuggled between them.  Brian's arm rested on the back of the couch as he gently ran his hand through Justin's hair.  Justin softly rubbed Gus' back as the little boy drifted towards sleep. When they were sure Gus was out, they carefully carried him to the bedroom where he had stayed the last time they were there.



"Want a beer?" Brian asked as they came back to the living room.



"Sure," Justin replied.



Brian uncapped a couple of beers and carried them to the couch, offering one to Justin.



"I'm glad you could get the cottage again before the weather turned too cold to make fishing feasible."



"Yeah," Justin agreed.  "We were lucky. It won't be too much longer before they close up this place for the season."



"Nobody uses it over the winter?" Brian asked.



"Not much.  It isn't very well insulated, so it never feels warm in here."

"What about the fireplace?" Brian asked, pointing to the empty hearth.



Justin chuckled.  "It keeps about three feet around it warm.  Once you step outside of that circle you can see your breath.

"Sounds like Pittsburgh," Brian said with a sneer.



"Except that's as warm as it gets.  At least at the loft you can be nice and snug, no matter what it's like outside.  You can't say the same for this place."



"Oh."



"Why are you interested in what it's like up here in the winter?"



"I was thinking it might be fun to be snowed in up here … with you," Brian said softly.



"You were?" Justin asked, turning and smiling into Brian's face.



Brian gave him kind of a funny look, but didn't say any more.  Justin slid closer and was rewarded with a long delicious kiss.  Brian's tongue licked across his lips when he was finished.



"You taste so good," Brian sighed.



Justin's hand reached for Brian's crotch, but the man trapped it before it reached its destination.  "What's wrong?" Justin asked with a bewildered look on his face. It was so unlike Brian to stop his advances.



"I … I want to talk to you.  We can do that in a bit," Brian said releasing Justin's hand.



"You actually want to talk?" Justin asked.  He stressed the word 'want', unable to believe that Brian was actually wanting to talk to him, actually turning down sex in favor of talking.



"Yes!" Brian snapped.  "That's what I said." His scowl told Justin in no uncertain terms that he did not appreciate the skepticism.



"Sorry!" Justin backed off.  "What do you want to talk about?"



"We've never really … discussed our new … relationship," Brian said slowly.  He seemed to have difficulty forcing the words out.



"You mean our 'committed' relationship?"



"That's the one."



"What do we need to discuss about it?"



"I thought that maybe there were a few things that we should clarify," Brian explained.



"Like what?"



Brian let out a sigh.  "I don't know! Like what the fuck it means and where the fuck we're going with this!"



"Really?  You want to talk about that?"  Justin's mouth hung slightly open in amazement.



"Well, if it's such a fucking unbelievable thing for us to do, then just fucking forget it!"  Brian shoved himself up from the couch. "I'm going to bed," he stated and headed down the hall.



"Brian," Justin called after him.  "Brian, please come back."



The man kept walking and Justin heard the bedroom door slam behind him.  What had he done? What was this all about? He couldn't believe that Brian had even suggested talking about their commitment and what it meant.  Maybe that was the problem. It was such unfamiliar territory for both of them that neither knew how to handle it. Obviously he hadn't handled it very well from his end.  He had just made Brian angry at him. He leaned his head back and prayed for divine intervention to tell him what to do now.



Brian tore off his clothes and crawled into bed.  "Stupid! Fucking stupid!" he muttered to himself.  He should never try to talk about feelings or their future together.  It was always a recipe for disaster. All it ever got him was grief or skepticism or jokes or fucking disbelief.  He was never going to get it right. How come it was so easy for other people? He buried his face in the pillow, fighting the urge to scream in frustration.



Justin waited.  He was hoping Brian would come back and they could talk.  After quite awhile and no sign of Brian, Justin turned off the lights and went to the bedroom door.  He hesitated as he reached for the doorknob. The last thing he wanted to do was continue the fight with Brian.



Brian heard Justin moving around and knew he was probably coming to bed.  When the movement ceased outside the bedroom door, he sighed. Why did they always have to fight?  Why couldn't he just say what he meant without all of the self-doubt? Why did Justin always think he was kidding when he wanted to talk about his feelings?  If he was truthful, he knew why Justin laughed - because Brian never wanted to talk about feelings. Brian groaned and turned onto his side.



Justin heard the groan through the door and knew that Brian was fighting some kind of a battle with himself.  He hoped it was a good battle and not something that would cause them more grief. He pushed the door open.



Brian lay on his side, his face partially buried in the pillow.  Justin couldn't make out the look on his face, but he knew he wasn't asleep.



"Can I join you?" Justin asked.



There was a slight shrug of the shoulders and Justin knew he had been given tacit permission to get into bed.  He smiled to himself and quickly got undressed. He slid silently into the bed and snuggled against Brian's back.  He got no reaction.



"Brian," he said softly.



There was no response.  This was going to be harder than he thought.  Usually by now Brian had him pinned to the mattress.  He wondered what Brian had wanted to talk about.



"Brian," he said again.



"What?"



That was progress.  At least he was speaking to him.



"I didn't mean to drive you away.  What did you want to talk about?"



"Nothing.  It doesn't matter now."



"Yes, it does," Justin replied.  They wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't something important.



"I don't want to talk now," Brian said stubbornly.  He really meant that. He had geared himself up to begin the discussion with Justin.  All that resolve had vanished with Justin's disbelief.



"I want to have that discussion," Justin persisted.  He ran his hand along Brian's shoulder and down his arm.  His fingers laced with Brian's. He was pleased that Brian didn't push him away.  "Please?" he asked.



"Is this one of those things you really, really want to do and if I don't listen I'm going to pay big time later?" Brian teased.



Justin chuckled.  He was happy to hear Brian's attempt at humor.  That was Brian's line when he wanted to know if Justin was really serious about something.  "Yes," he replied.



Brian rolled over to look at his young lover.  "Can we do this later? I was all psyched up for it before, but now I just want to forget it."



Justin didn't like the sound of that.  It must be something really big. "Are you kicking me out of your life?" Justin asked with just a tinge of fear in his voice.



"Jesus, no!  Why the fuck would you think that?"



"It must be something big if you're this worried about it.  That was all I could think of that might make you this uncomfortable."



"There are other things," Brian said ruefully.



"Like what?" Justin asked, determined to get some idea of what was bugging Brian.



"I said I didn't want to do this right now," Brian said stubbornly.



"Okay, okay.  I don't want to fight, but will you promise to tell me soon?"



"Only if you don't make fun of me."



"I didn't mean to.  It's just that sometimes you take me by surprise and I'm never sure when you're joking or being sarcastic."



"No shit!"



Justin chuckled.  "No shit," he replied seriously.



"Maybe I should wear a fucking clown nose when I'm being serious.  Then you'd know for sure that you're not supposed to laugh."



Justin giggled.  The thought of Brian with a clown nose trying to have a serious discussion was too funny for words.  Justin cleared his throat. "Would you?" he asked with a straight face.



"Twat!" Brian replied and rolled on top of his boy.



His hands wandered over the soft silky skin and he heard Justin take in a breath in anticipation of what was to come.



"Fuck me, Brian," Justin whispered.



The boy's warm breath next to his ear sent a signal directly to Brian's cock.  He felt it twitch and he groaned. Justin had him so trained to respond, even to his fucking breath.  He was so screwed. He roughly pinned Justin's hands above his head. He'd show the little fucker who was in charge.  "You want to be fucked?" Brian asked with a growl, preparing to make Justin pay for his lack of respect.



"Only by you," Justin whispered huskily, and Brian was putty in his hands.  He let go of Justin's wrists wanting the boy's arms around his body more that he wanted to assert his power.  He felt Justin arch up into him and knew that he could never live without that body beside him. More than that he could never be truly himself without Justin's brain to challenge him.  And finally he could never be the better person Justin had taught him he could be without Justin's heart next to his, just like this.



"You don't play fair," Brian whispered into Justin's hair.



"What do you mean?" Justin asked not understanding.



"You use sex to get your own way."



"I use sex?" Justin asked completely bewildered by this accusation.



"You breathe against my ear and I want you so bad, I can't even remember why I was going to punish you."



"Good."



"Good?"



"I don't want to be punished at the moment.  I want to be fucked long and slow by the master."



Brian growled deep in his throat.  "Then here we go," Brian stated and his lips found Justin's, pressing against the soft, full mouth that he loved.  His tongue demanded entrance and Justin opened his mouth to receive it. It traced across Justin's teeth and over and under the tongue dueling and licking.



Justin had no idea how long the kiss lasted.  It seemed like forever and yet only a few seconds.  When Brian finally allowed them to come up for air, Justin's head was spinning.  He hadn't wanted the kiss to end, but he was sure that he would have become unconscious if it had lasted much longer.  "God, nobody kisses like you," Justin gasped. "Your lips should be registered as a lethal weapon."



"That's my dick!" Brian snorted.  His lips captured Justin's again, and he began another deep and intoxicating kiss.



This time when he released Justin's mouth, the boy had no words.  Verbal capability had been lost somewhere after Brian's lips met his.  Justin gasped and sucked in air unable to make any coherent noises or thoughts.



Brian smiled at his handiwork thus far and attacked Justin's nipples.  He felt them stand, hard little nubs, beneath the ministrations of his lips.  Justin moaned and Brian licked his way down to the throbbing cock that pulsed on Justin's stomach.  Copious precum dripped from it already. Brian ran his thumb across the slit and felt Justin whimper in his need.



"Are you ready?" Brian asked.



Justin nodded still unable to form words.  Brian slid on a condom and lubed it generously.  His fingers found Justin's hole and the boy grasped Brian in a death grip, and he opened his mouth to scream.  He wanted to come so badly, but he wanted Brian inside him first. Brian's lips locked on his, stifling the scream and preventing Justin from waking Gus.    



He could feel Brian's cock pressed against his pucker and he pushed himself wantonly against it.  Brian grinned. "My sexy boy, my horny little man, my impatient, delectable lover," Brian whispered against Justin's ear, and the boy came, unable to stop himself.  His cum shot out in long creamy threads again and again. Brian's hand was around his dick milking it for all it was worth.



Justin gasped and gulped for air, the intensity of his orgasm leaving him breathless.  Brian held him till he came back to some semblance of normal.



"I wanted to come with you inside me," Justin said sadly.



"You will," Brian replied.



"I will?" Justin asked looking into Brian's eyes.



"You wanted it long and slow.  You never would have made it, the state you were in.  Now we can start slow and build from there," Brian explained to Justin's few functioning brain cells.



"Oh."



Brian was rubbing his palm up and down Justin's not so soft shaft.  It was beginning to respond already. "Ah, youth!" Brian observed as his actions had the desired effect.



Brian positioned his cock which was in sore need of relief itself.  He pressed in and heard that little gasp that he loved. He inched his cock slowly into that warm channel.  Justin looked at him with adoring eyes until he was all the way in. He rotated his hips massaging Justin's prostate and the boy cried, "Brian, please."  He clung to Brian's body as the man continued his actions.



Suddenly Brian stopped and stayed still.  Justin looked at him, feeling so much, so overwhelmed.  "I …" he began, but Brian put his finger on the boy's lips.



"Don't talk.  Just enjoy." Brian began his in and out rhythm, pumping in long steady strokes.  Justin grunted his satisfaction. Brian went faster and shallower drawing gasps from the willing boy beneath him.  He drew back and thrust hard and deep. Justin opened his mouth to scream his approval, but Brian's lips smothered the scream.



Brian tried every tempo he had ever mastered, fast, slow, long, short, hard, gentle, staccato, waltz, tango, forte.  Justin moaned and gurgled. Brian grunted and panted. He felt his balls draw up and knew he had reached his limit. His hand wrapped around Justin's cock and with the last few thrusts he timed their orgasms.



The jolts raced up and down his spine as he pumped into the boy.  He whispered, "Justin," on the last lunge and came with such intensity; he thought his heart might explode.



Some moments later he felt Justin gasping for air beneath him.  He rolled over onto his back and opened his eyes. "Are you all right," he asked softly.



"No."



"What?"



"I think I'm dead."



"Oh."



"Can we do that again?"



"Jesus Christ, Justin!  Give me thirty seconds."



Justin snickered.  "I didn't mean immediately."



"Good."



"That was mind-blowing."


"Yeah, it was."



"I better be careful when I ask for long and slow."



"My dear old dad used to say, 'Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.'"



"He was right."



"About that one thing."



"Brian, we will talk about whatever you wanted to say before, won't we?" Justin asked.



"Yes, baby," Brian said softly.  "Later." He pulled Justin against him and they fell asleep locked in each other's arms.



                                                                 -----



The bedroom door slammed back against the wall.  Gus yelled, "Dada!"



Brian sat up groggily.  He had slept like a log after he and Justin had had their fantastic fuck.  He didn't appreciate being so rudely awakened. "What is it, Gus?" he asked trying to keep his temper under control.



"Fishing!" the little boy stated.



Brian looked at him, not at all pleased.



"Fishing," Gus repeated.  "Justin?" he called hoping to get Justin on his side since his father wasn't responding correctly.



Justin rolled over.  He had been awake since the door slammed against the wall, but had chosen to stay out of this until Gus called his name.  "Morning, Gus," he said. "What time is it?"



"Six-fifteen," Brian said through clenched teeth.



"Well, we better get a move on before all those fish go elsewhere.  Come on you two, let's have a quick shower."



Brian wanted to swat Justin for his cheerfulness, but he bit his tongue and got out of bed.



Thirty minutes later after a shower, a piece of toast and a hasty filling of the cooler, they were out at their spot in the lake.  Justin had bought some worms at the last village they passed through on their way up, so they hadn't needed to dig any this time. Justin baited Gus' hook and his own.  He looked at Brian silently asking if the man wanted to try his luck too. Brian shrugged so Justin put a worm on his hook and dropped it over the side.



They sat in silence for awhile, when suddenly Brian jumped.  He had a bite. He looked at Justin who just sat there smiling at him.



"Fish, Dada," Gus said seeing the line dip and hearing the reel unwind.  "I help you." Gus handed his rod to Justin and moved over to stand between Brian's legs.  He placed one hand on the rod. The other hand went to Brian's hand on the reel and pushed it to start reeling in the fish.    



In a few minutes father and son had brought the fish to the side of the boat.  It was a good sized trout. Brian pulled it out of the water and Justin unhooked it and dropped it into the cooler.  The smile on Brian's face was one of pure pleasure.



"How does it feel to have caught your first fish?" Justin asked beaming back at him.



"Not bad," Brian responded trying to wipe the silly grin off his face.  "Thank you for helping me, Gus," he said giving Gus a kiss on the cheek.



"It's okay, Dada.  Now you know how to do it."  Gus smiled back at him.



Brian snorted.  This kid was too smart for his own good.



They fished for a couple of hours more.  Gus caught two fish and it was Justin's turn to not have any bites.  Finally Justin said they should head back and get out of the sun for awhile.



Back at the cottage the two men cleaned the fish for supper, while Gus played in the sand near the dock.



"Do you feel like talking?" Justin asked.  They both knew what he meant.



"Do you?"



"I'm not laughing and I'm asking," Justin stated.



Brian had known this was coming so he had mentally prepared what he wanted to say.  Now all he had to do was say it. He decided to start with a question. "What's your definition of commitment?"



Justin stared straight at him and with unwavering eyes said, "I've actually given this a lot of thought.  I think it means sticking together through thick and thin, like the Eamonn thing and then Ireland. They were like the best and the worst.  We love each other and help each other no matter what."



Brian looked at this young man who was so smart and so handsome and so giving and who loved him for some unfathomable reason.  "I couldn't have said that better myself," Brian said softly.



"You mean we finally agree on something?" Justin joked.



"Guess so, but you left out one part."



"No, I didn't."



Brian looked questioningly at him.  "What about the faithful stuff?"



Justin sighed.  "I love it that you're only with me.  Make no mistake about that, but I also think we have to be realistic about it.  I know Trip Bedford is waiting in the wings for something to happen between us."  Brian made a face and opened his mouth to say that nothing was going to happen between him and Trip.  Justin raised his hand to stop Brian. "Don't say it. I know you think nothing will come of that, and maybe it won't.  But look at what happened with me and Ethan." Brian's scowl was even more evident. "I never intended for that to happen, but it did.  I'm just saying that I like where we are now. We love each other and we're being faithful. I hope that lasts forever, but you know from Eamonn's definition of 'forever' that that isn't always the way it turns out."



Brian took in a long breath.  He liked what Justin had said.  It was realistic, not a schoolboy fantasy that could never be true.  "What if one of us does … wander?" Brian had to ask.



"We deal with it," Justin said simply.



"Sounds good," Brian had to agree.  He thought about what was tucked away in his overnight bag and decided it better stay there for now.



"Is that all you want to say about this?" Justin asked.



"For now."



"Last night it sounded like you had something major that you wanted to tell me."



"I do, but now is not the right time."



"Brian, you can't say something like that and then leave me hanging."



"Can't I?" Brian said with a smirk.



"Briiaann," Justin whined.



"Jussttiiinn," Brian drew out the name in imitation of his lover.



"You are so dead!" Justin yelled throwing a little piece of fish gut at the man.



Brian ducked but returned the favor, hitting Justin in the chest.  The fish guts flew back and forth, most missing their mark as the two bobbed and weaved to avoid it.



"Dada!  Justin!"  Gus yelled, stamping his little foot.  They had forgotten he was even there. They stopped immediately and looked sheepishly at each other.  "Bad boys!" Gus stated. "You have to go to the time-out chair."



"We do?" Justin giggled.



"Yes!" Gus was emphatic.  "Sit on a chair until you can behave yourself!"



Brian smiled.  "This must be what Mel and Linds say to him when he is bad," Brian thought.  "We're sorry, Gus," Brian said. "We should know better."



Gus nodded.



"Let's all go take a shower," Justin suggested.  "I smell like fish."



"Me too," Brian said pulling a chunk of fish guts off the front of his shirt.  "You want to come too, Gus?" Brian asked hoping to distract Gus from the punishment he had imposed.



Gus frowned.  "Play in the shower?" he asked hopefully.



Brian knew the games he liked.  Gus thought he was a big boy when he showered with them, but he still liked them to hold him up close to the shower head.



"We can do that," said Justin cleaning off the picnic table where they had been gutting the fish.  Brian picked up their dinner and took it in to the fridge.



Half an hour later they had sandwiches in the gazebo, staying out of the sun for awhile.  They were all clean and Gus seemed to have forgotten about the punishment for the two bad big boys.  When lunch was finished Justin asked if they would like to take the boat around the lake a little later in the afternoon.  Then they could stop and fish for a bit before coming back for supper. They all voted yes to that plan.



Brian suggested they all get in the hammock for a little quiet time before they headed out.  The old hammock managed to hold all three of them swinging gently in the shade of the trees it was attached to.  Brian had his arm under Justin and Gus snuggled between them. He couldn't think of a better place to be.



When they returned from their afternoon expedition, they had no fish, but had had a good time waving to other cottagers on their tour around the lake.  They had stopped at one place and talked to the owners who Justin remembered from the summers he spent up there as a teenager.



They started the barbecue and Gus wanted to play Parcheesi again while they waited for the coals to burn down.  The fish was delicious as it had been last time. They decided to go fishing in the morning before they left. That seemed to be the best time to catch fish.  Gus really wanted to take some home to his mothers, like he had done last time.



The evening slipped away and the sky clouded over.  Before the lake could turn pink a little shower hit and the lake didn't do its magic this night.  They were all a little disappointed by that.



When Gus was finally tucked in for the night, Brian and Justin looked at each other.  The unspoken words that Brian wanted to say hung in the air.



"Are you going to tell me what it is?" Justin asked.



Brian knew what he meant, but decided to be obtuse.  "What it is?"



"You know.  Tell me."



Brian sighed.  "Do you remember when I gave you your sunshine pendant?"



"Yes," Justin replied gripping it in his hand.  He rarely took it from around his neck.



"Do you remember what happened?"



Justin made a face.  "Yeah, I got overly excited about it and almost drove you crazy."



"That too, but it was more that you expected too much from that gesture, more than I could give you at that point."



"So we put it away until the time was right," Justin said remembering how that had happened.



"Right," Brian agreed.  "That's the way I feel about this 'thing' that I want to discuss with you.  The time just isn't right."



"Then I'll wait until it is," Justin said easily.



"Do you think you can do that?"



"I'll give it my best shot."

"I love you," Brian said suddenly.



Justin's face beamed his sunshine smile.  "Let's go to bed," he said taking Brian's hand.



                                                               -----



By lunchtime the next day everyone was happy and relaxed.  Gus had caught three more fish, Justin two and Brian one. They had plenty for Mel and Lindsay and enough for another meal for themselves.



They cleaned up the cottage and started loading the car.  Justin took care of the kitchen and Brian packed their bags in the bedroom.  He reached into the side pocket of his bag and pulled out the dark green box.  The little Celtic knot on the top reminded him where this had come from. He lifted the lid and looked at the two claddagh rings he had had sent from Ireland.



"Later," he whispered as he dropped them back into his bag.

Chapter 17 - Birthday Surprise by Thyme

 

Birthday Surprise

"Fuck!"  Brian looked at the pile of parts and the mountain of packaging spread out all around him.  He had no idea how he was ever going to put this thing together. It brought back the not so fond memory of trying to put together Gus' swing set.  He couldn't do that either. Why did things for children have a million parts and require a PhD in some unknown science in order to assemble them?



The loft door slid back and Justin walked in.  He stopped when he saw Brian sitting on the floor surrounded by the pile of debris.  Before he could stop himself, a laugh escaped.



"Shut the fuck up!" Brian snarled.



"What are you doing?" Justin asked.



"Building the next Mars probe."



Justin chuckled.  "You sure have enough parts to do that."


Brian looked daggers at him.



"What is all this, Brian?" Justin asked seriously.



"Remember when we went to F.A.O. Schwartz in New York and I bought that train set for Gus' birthday?  This is it!" Brian replied indicating all of the stuff around him.



Justin looked horrified.  "I had no idea there were all these pieces.  It was a nice little train that sat on a table."



"Well, this is what it looks like before it's assembled.  I thought I would do it tonight so it would be ready for Gus' birthday on Saturday," Brian explained.



"And so you could play with it a bit before it went to live at Mel and Lindsay's."



"That too," Brian grinned sheepishly.  "But it will take me a month to put it together."


"I'll help you," Justin offered.



"Thanks a bunch," Brian said sarcastically not having much faith that the two of them would make any more progress than he had already.


"Don't give up so easily.  We can do this," Justin said trying to encourage Brian.



"Sure," Brian said ruefully.



Justin sat down beside Brian.  "Is there an instruction book?"  Brian handed him a little pamphlet that contained a list of parts and a diagram of the finished set-up.  "It's not a lot to work with," Justin said.



"Tell me about it."


"What are we going to put it on?  We can't assemble it on the floor, or we'll have to take it all apart again to get it to Gus."



"Good point, Einstein!" Brian sneered.  "I thought I'd just levitate it over there," he added sarcastically.



"Brian, come on.  We need something to put it on."



"It's over there," Brian said pointing to a piece of foam core that he had had the art department cut to the size indicated on the box.



"Good, then let's get started."


Two hours later they had the train tracks all assembled atop the foam core.  They had the little village in place with all the trees and the dump for the coal car and the houses and train station.  Brian finished hooking up the remaining cars of the train and set them on the tracks.



"Now all we have to do is plug this in and pray," Justin said holding up a wire with a plug on the end.



"Are you sure we've done everything?" Brian asked.



"Everything I can think of," Justin said.  "Here, you do the honors." He handed the plug to Brian.



Brian held his breath and plugged it in.  Nothing exploded or started on fire. "So far, so good," he said.  "Now for the moment of truth." He picked up the control box and tentatively grasped the joystick.



Justin watched as Brian slowly eased the stick forward.  The train started to move along the tracks. Brian pushed the stick farther forward and the train picked up speed.  He pushed the little button next to the stick and the train tooted as it passed through the little village. Justin had been staring at the train praying that it would work.  Once he saw that it was, he looked up to see Brian with a huge grin on his face. The man's eyes followed the little train around the tracks, tooting the whistle as it approached a crossing or neared the village.  He was loving every minute of it.

Justin smiled at his lover.  Brian was oblivious to Justin's reaction.  He was mesmerized with the tiny train and making it do all the things that it was capable of.  Justin realized that Brian was living a moment of the childhood that had been denied to him. Suddenly Brian looked up and saw Justin beaming at him.



"It works," he said with a look of pure pride and joy on his face.



"It sure does, Engineer Kinney.  I knew we could do it."



"I couldn't have done it without you," Brian said sliding closer to Justin.  "Here, it's your turn." He handed the control box to the young man.



Justin slowed the train down and then speeded it up.  He managed to stop the train in the village and he and Brian figured out how to dump the coal car.  They giggled at each skill that they mastered.



"I hope Gus has half as much fun with this train as we're having," Brian observed.



"I'm sure he will."



For the next half hour they put the train through its paces, making it race around the tracks or dump its load or hook and unhook cars.  They laughed and encouraged each other and had one whale of a time.



"Maybe I should keep this for myself," Brian said finally.



"We have to be adult about this and give it to Gus," Justin said seriously.  "You can always go visit him and ask to play with his toys," he joked and ducked as Brian tried to swat him.  He giggled as Brian caught his wrist and pulled him in for a kiss.



"Thank you for helping me," Brian said when they came up for air.  "I would never have gotten that thing together by myself."


"You're welcome.  I'm always here to bale you out."



"Can you assist in another capacity?" Brian asked, his hand groping Justin's crotch.



"That's my favorite way to be of service," Justin moaned between kisses.



Brian pressed him to the floor covering his body with his own.



"I want you, Engineer Kinney," Justin whispered.



They began removing clothes.  As they struggled to get naked as quickly as possible someone's foot hit the train and sent it skittering across the floor.  They both stopped, holding their breaths as they looked to see what damage they had done. A few cars were derailed, but other than that everything seemed to be intact.



"Let's take this to the bed where we don't have to worry about damaging anything," Brian said.



They stood and kissed on their way to the bedroom.



"I'm going to make you sound off and dump your load just like the little train," Brian declared with a lascivious grin.  "Your heart will be racing around the tracks and heading to its final destination in no time." He gave Justin's cock an insistent tug.



The boy gasped and groaned, "Enough with the railroad analogies!  Come to bed and fuck me!" He dragged a willing Brian up the stairs to a safer haven for their nightly activities.



                                                                -----



Saturday morning Brian stood looking at the train set.  They had lifted it on the foam core and placed it on the dining room table.  Every night since they assembled it Brian had spent some time racing the train around the tracks.  Often Justin played with him, if he was home.



"How the fuck am I going to get this over to Gus?" Brian muttered.



"What did you say?" Justin asked as he gathered up his jacket getting ready for a morning shift at the diner.



"Nothing," Brian said, not wanting to admit that he hadn't thought this through.



"Brian, when you mutter to yourself, there's always something the matter.  Tell me what it is," Justin insisted.



"I brought the foam core home in the Jeep stuck in the back, but standing on its end.  I can't figure a way to transport this horizontally. It fucking won't fit in the Jeep."



"What if you put the passenger seat all the way back and set it there?"



"Not enough room," Brian said.



Justin thought for a minute.  "Why don't you drive me to work and then swing by Mel and Linds'?  You could borrow their station wagon and come back to the loft to pick up the train.  I'm sure the foam core would fit in the back of their car."



"Yeah, I bet it would.  Okay. You ready to go?" Brian asked picking up his keys.



"You're welcome," Justin said with a grin.



"Thanks," Brian said giving him a kiss.  "Your baling me out is getting to be quite a habit."



"Somebody has to look after you."



"Only you, baby, only you."



Justin beamed at his lover as they closed the door to the loft.



Brian borrowed the station wagon and safely transported the train set to Gus' house.  He set it up in a corner of the dining room where it wouldn't be too obvious. Melanie had taken Gus for a walk after Brian borrowed the car.  Lindsay helped Brian get the card table set up and everything arranged on top of it. She brought a sheet downstairs to cover the train until it would be revealed at Gus' party.



When they had everything arranged Lindsay got them each a coffee and they went to sit in the back yard where the party would take place in a few hours.



"You seem a little edgy today," Lindsay observed.  "Is something wrong?"



"No."



"Brian, you can't fool me.  Talk to me."



Brian sighed, but remained silent.  Why did his friends always feel they had the right to interfere and give advice about his private life?



"If you think I'm interfering, too bad!  Your idea of interfering is when anyone tries to help you."



Brian remained silent.



"I want to help.  You know anything we say stays between us," Lindsay insisted.



Brian groaned.  "I have something I need to talk to Justin about, but I'm not sure what to say or how he will react."



Lindsay smiled.  "Is this something about your relationship?"



"Yes," Brian said slowly.



"Are you finally going to tell him that you are in a committed relationship?" Lindsay asked with wonder in her eyes.



"I already have."



"What?"



"I said I already have."



"And you didn't tell anybody else?"



"No, nobody knows but Justin, me, Emmett and now you."  He decided to leave Trip Bedford out of the mix.



"Emmett?"



"Justin had to talk to somebody after he found out about the 'committed' part, so he told Emmett."



"Found out?  What does that mean?"



Brian groaned.  When would he ever learn to choose his words more carefully?  "I…don't think I should be explaining this until I've settled the situation with Justin," Brian said carefully, not wanting to expand on what he had already let slip.



"All right," Lindsay agreed.  "I'll let it go for now, but I expect the whole story somewhere down the line."



"Sure," Brian said standing up, happy to agree to some unspecified time in the future for their chat.  He just wanted to get out of there.



"Brian," Lindsay stopped him, "talk to him.  Don't put it off."



"Sure," Brian said over his shoulder as he beat a hasty retreat and escaped out the front door.



On the porch he stopped and lit a cigarette.  He had to come back in a few hours for Gus' party and then he would talk to Justin when they went home together.  He had a stop to make before he did anything else.



                                                                  -----


Gus' party was in full swing when Brian arrived.  Lindsay had invited some of Gus' friends from daycare and their parents.  The usual gang was there. He saw Justin over by the food table talking to Debbie.



"You got here in good time," Brian said giving Justin a kiss on the cheek.



Debbie smiled at them.  "That was sweet," she said.



Justin beamed at Brian, the love evident on his face.  "I did the breakfast shift and then things quieted down, so I left early.  I had a bit of work to do in my studio space at the IFA, and I got that done before I came here."


"You've been a busy little boy," Brian commented.



"What did you do?" Justin asked.



"A few errands," Brian said mysteriously.



"I saw the train in the dining room.  I take it you got it here in one piece?"



Brian nodded.  "When is he opening presents?"



"Soon," Debbie said.



Brian and Justin walked over to Michael and Ben and exchanged pleasantries.  Brian realized that he saw very little of Michael these days. He spent most of his time with Justin and that suited him just fine.



A while later Lindsay announced that Gus was going to open presents and everyone found a seat or milled around as he began ripping into the packages.  Brian and Justin stood on the back porch where they had stood two years ago on Gus' birthday. Brian watched Justin's face as he looked at the little boy squealing with joy with each new item he discovered.



"Remember Gus' first birthday?" Brian said softly.



"Yeah," Justin sighed.  "That wasn't much of a celebration for you," Justin replied.



"Or you!  You scared the shit out of me when you had those flashbacks of the bat coming at your head."



"Thank goodness that all seems to be behind me."  Justin shook his head at the memory.



"Do you wish you could remember more of it?"



"I'd like to remember the dance … and our kiss.  Daph says it was so hot."



"Everything we do together is hot," Brian smirked.



Justin giggled.  "You are so bad!"



"I know, and you love it."



"I love you."



Brian stared at Justin, refusing to release his eyes from his gaze.  "I want to talk to you when we get back to the loft."



"You do?"



"Yes."



"About what?"



"I'll tell you when we get there."



Just then Lindsay announced that the cake was being served.  The presents had all been opened.



"When are you going to show Gus the train?" Justin asked.



"As soon as they cut him loose from the cake dispensing," Brian stated.



A minute or two later Gus brought a piece of cake for Justin and ran back to get one for his father.  Once both men had their cake Gus looked up into his father's face.


"What is it, Gus?" Brian asked pretending not to know what his son wanted.



Gus scuffed the toe of his shoe across the grass and looked down, not sure how to ask his father for his present.  Justin smiled watching the interplay between father and son. They were so alike, neither wanting to give in to the other and ask for something.



"Gus, your daddy has something for you inside," Justin said breaking the stalemate.



Brian smiled at him and took Gus' hand.  "Come with me," he said as his other hand grasped Justin's and the three men went into the house.  Justin smiled again, loving that Brian was including him in this special moment. They walked into the dining room.



"Close your eyes, Gus, and keep them closed until I tell you to open them," Brian instructed.



He checked that Gus had closed his eyes.  He and Justin went over to the still covered up train.  They stood on each side of the table and lifted the corners of the sheet.



"Open you eyes," Brian ordered as they whipped the sheet off.



Gus gasped as he saw the little train set laid out in front of him.  "From F.O. Schwartz," Gus said his eyes as big as saucers.



"You remember!" Brian said in amazement.  "But we need to teach you the correct name of that store."



"Want to run it?" Justin asked Gus.



The little boy bounced up and down in excitement.  "Up, dada!" he commanded.



Brian picked Gus up and Justin handed them the control box.  Brian started the train moving and Gus giggled his approval. He showed Gus the button to make the train toot, and they timed the sound with the crossings on the little train tracks.  Brian made the train go faster and Gus clapped his hands with glee.



"Are you ready to drive it, Gus?" Brian asked.



The little boy nodded and Brian handed him the control box.  Gus had watched carefully what his father had done to make the train go.  He eased the joystick forward and the train began its route around the track.  He smiled at Brian and Justin as he made the train go faster and then slower. Brian reached in and blew the whistle and Gus' face glowed.



"Like father, like son," Justin thought to himself as he looked at the two happy faces in front of him.



"That's some train set," someone said from behind them.



They turned to find most of their friends standing watching them run the train.



"Only the best for my boy!" Brian said proudly and Gus smiled, leaning in to kiss Brian's cheek.



"Thanks, dada!"



Everyone crowded in closer and Gus demonstrated how to run the train with Brian in charge of tooting the whistle.



After a while Brian set Gus down and they all went back outside.  The party was winding down. Some of the parents had started to leave with their children.  Brian watched the little monsters depart. Some of them were very good and went amiably with their parents, while others started to cry or throw tantrums not wanting to leave.  He was thankful that Gus usually was pretty good and rarely seemed out of control or spoiled. He wondered if that was because Gus knew how much everybody loved him. Everyone saw how bright and kind Gus was and didn't hesitate to tell him.



"Dada!" Gus' voice penetrated his reverie.



"Hi, Sonny Boy, what's up?" Brian asked.  He looked down to see Gus standing with his hand firmly clasping the hand of a beautiful little Asian girl.



"Dada, this is 'Mantha," Gus explained.



"Hello, Samantha," Brian said taking the little girl's hand and shaking it gently.  "Did you have fun at the party?"



"Yes, thank you," she replied with perfect manners.



"Gus has told me that he likes to play with you at school."



"I like him too," she said proudly.  Her porcelain face beamed at Gus.



Gus grinned his approval of her words.



"See," said Gus, "I told you that I had a dada."



"You were right," Samantha agreed.  "I have to go, Gus. My Mommy's waiting over there."



"Bye, 'Mantha," Gus said sadly.



Brian smiled down at them.  Gus seemed to have it bad for this beautiful little girl.  Samantha ran over to her mother and Brian picked up his son.  "You'll see her at school on Monday," he told the little boy. He gave Gus a kiss and told him to take care of the train till he came to play with it again.  Gus giggled and promised he would. Brian and Justin left shortly thereafter.



When they arrived back at the loft, it was a little after seven.  Justin asked Brian if he wanted something to eat, but Brian said he had eaten plenty at the party.  He asked Justin to get them a couple of beers. The young man went to the fridge to get them each a bottle and Brian went and sat on the couch.



Justin carried two beers to the living room.  As he rounded the end of the couch, he stopped dead in his tracks and burst out laughing.  Brian sat on the couch looking up at him, a red clown nose firmly attached to his face.



"Where the fuck did you get that?" Justin giggled.



"I had to try three fucking novelty stores before I found one that carried clown noses," Brian groused.



Justin handed Brian a beer.  "Do I take this to mean that you want to have a serious discussion?" Justin asked.  "And I'm not supposed to laugh."



Brian nodded.  "I hope we got the laughing out of the way when you first saw me."



"I think so," Justin said.  "You're not going to leave that on the whole time we're talking, are you?"



"I thought I might," Brian said to be annoying.



"I know you want to be serious, but I don't think I can keep a straight face if you're wearing that!" Justin stated.



Brian pulled off the nose and dropped it onto the coffee table.  "I better keep it in case I need it in the future," he said. He took a swig of his beer.  "Are you ready to listen?"



"Yes," Justin said in a voice barely above a whisper.  He was scared. He wasn't sure why or what Brian wanted to talk about, but he thought everything might change after this discussion and that scared the shit out of him.



"It's taken me a long time to get to this point," Brian began.  "I grew up with people who hated me, wished I'd never been born.  I never felt loved or wanted, so when I started wanting you, needing you … loving you, it scared me shitless.  So I drove you away. It was supposed to be safer without you, but all it turned out to be was sad … and lonely.



Justin opened his mouth to tell Brian that he loved him and was sorry that he had left him, even for a short time.



Brian raised his hand.  "Don't say anything until I'm through.  I need to say this and you need to hear it.  If I stop now, I might never say it." Justin nodded, closed his mouth and swallowed hard.  Brian continued, "I don't think I was ever really happy until I met you. I remember days of such sweetness and love that we shared.  Do you remember that day in the park with Gus?" Justin nodded. "And taking him fishing and being together with him and you in New York?"  Justin nodded again. "And then there was Ireland! That was the best thing I've ever done, and it was the best because you were with me."



Justin looked down unable to bear Brian's scrutiny any longer.  He felt a tear drop from his eye, as the memories that Brian was recalling flooded through his mind.



"I love you, Justin.  I never thought I would say that to a living soul, but I love you … so much."



Justin looked up, his eyes full of tears that he tried to keep from shedding.  They were tears of joy at Brian's words, but he feared that Brian might think he was sad.  He saw Brian smile softly at him and knew that the man understood his emotion.



Brian cleared his throat.  "I've given this a lot of thought," he continued.  "You know that I don't believe in gay marriage and commitment ceremonies and all that crap.  It's not legal and it's for lesbians. However, I know that you need some of these things, so when we were in Ireland I bought these."



Brian reached in his pocket and pulled out the little green box with the Celtic knot on the top.  He lifted the lid and Justin saw the two gold claddagh rings inside.

"I ordered these while we were in the goldsmith's shop at Bunratty."



Justin stared at Brian.  His heart pounded in his chest and he could barely hear Brian's words over the thud of his heart.  His throat had gone dry and he could hardly swallow. He continued to stare at Brian and then the rings and then back to Brian's face.



Brian shifted in his seat.  He couldn't understand why Justin wasn't shouting and leaping on top of him.  He knew the boy had wanted some kind of declaration from him since they had got back together.  Hell, he had always wanted a declaration of love from Brian. Had he said something wrong? Had Justin misunderstood when he said he didn't believe in gay marriage?  Had he fucked up again?



"Justin, for fuck sake, say something!" Brian ordered panic written across his handsome face.



Justin opened his mouth, but nothing came out.  He looked at Brian's scared face and knew he had to reassure the man.  He swallowed and cleared his throat. "I'm glad you decided to tell me all those things," he whispered.  "I've waited a long time to hear them." Brian smiled a bit at those words. "But … I don't want the ring, Brian.  I can't take it."



Justin stood up and turned toward the bedroom.  Suddenly he ran up the steps and into the bathroom.  Brian heard him throwing up and he grabbed his own stomach as a wave of nausea swelled through his body.

Chapter 18 - Ring of Truth by Thyme

 

Ring of Truth

Brian swallowed, tasting the bile that had risen in his throat.  He dropped the box with the rings on the couch and stood up rather unsteadily.  Of all the possible outcomes of his declaration, this was not one he had imagined.  He could hear Justin running water in the bathroom, probably rinsing his mouth after throwing up.



He knew he should go in there, but he also knew that he couldn't.  He didn't know what Justin's words meant and he was afraid to find out.  All he knew was that Justin had refused the ring he had offered him. He had been rejected.  He grabbed his leather jacket and keys and walked out of the loft. He had a fleeting thought that he hoped to come back sometime, but he had no sense that that would actually happen.  He quietly closed the loft door behind him.



A few minutes later Justin came out of the bathroom.  He needed to explain to Brian why he had refused the ring.  "Brian," he said, noticing that the man was no longer on the couch.  He glanced around the loft and saw that it was empty.



Fuck!  Fuck! Fuck!  He had driven Brian away once again.  What was he going to do now? Why did everything have to be so complicated where Brian was concerned?  He slumped down on the steps to the bedroom and clutched his knees to his chest. Before he could even try to stop them, great wracking sobs escaped his body, and he gave in to the intense sadness and confusion and fear that swelled through him.



                                                                  -----



The Jeep screeched to a halt outside Meat Hook.  Brian was in no state to be going in there, but he couldn't stop himself.  He sauntered over to the bar and ordered a double Beam. He felt someone brush against his ass and turned to tell the person to fuck off.



"Want another?" the muscular man asked, gesturing towards Brian's nearly empty glass.  The man wore leather chaps over jeans and a leather vest over a bare chest.



"No thanks," Brian said slowly.  He was considering the possibilities.  If Justin didn't want him, at least this man did.



"Don't be anti-social," the man persisted.



"I'm just here for a drink," Brian said by way of explanation.



"Nobody comes here for just a drink."


"Well, I guess there's a first time for everything," Brian said abruptly and turned away.



"Hey, I'm still talking to you!" the man said grabbing Brian's arm.



"No, you're not!" Brian replied shaking the hand off his arm.  He turned quickly and headed out of the club.



He heard the man shout, "And fuck you too!" as he walked away.



"You wish," Brian muttered to himself as he pushed past people entering the club.



Once out in the cool air, he took a deep breath and relaxed a bit.  He wasn't sure what had driven him to that club. He rarely went there.  In fact, since he and Justin had been back together, he had not frequented the place.  He knew he needed to talk to Justin, but he was too afraid of what he might hear. He had to go somewhere that he could think.



He climbed into the Jeep and headed toward the river.



                                                                 -----



Justin wiped his face and took in a long breath.  He was still sitting on the steps to the bedroom, but he had finally cried himself out.  He hadn't meant to be so harsh in refusing Brian's ring. He had panicked. Somehow he knew that if he accepted that ring everything was going to change and not necessarily for the better.  He had had an inkling of what Brian was driving at up at his uncle's cottage, when the man had told him he had something important to talk to him about. But not in his wildest dreams had he expected a ring.



He had thought that maybe Brian had decided it was time to tell their friends that they were in a committed relationship.  That would have been hard enough. He liked that the status of their relationship was their secret, that they shared something special between themselves, and it was nobody else's business.



When Trip Bedford had first spilled the beans that Brian was being faithful, Justin had been floored.  Then when Brian said it was true and he had been doing it for months, Justin had been so happy and had wanted to tell the whole world.  Now he was glad that they had decided to keep it to themselves. Their friends, however well meaning, had a way of imposing their attitudes and expectations.  They would have been watching Brian, waiting for him to slip, and that would have driven Brian crazy. It would have put a huge strain on their relationship.



The way things were now was much better.  Brian did what he did. He was faithful because he wanted to be, not because it was expected of him.  He had no one to answer to except Justin and his own conscience. That was true for both of them.



Justin realized that he needed to find Brian and explain why he had turned down the ring.  The man must think that he just didn't want it, or worse still, that he didn't want Brian.



He grabbed the phone and started calling.  He tried Lindsay and Michael and Deb and even Ted and Emmett.  Nobody had seen or heard from Brian. Justin tried to be nonchalant about the fact that he was looking for Brian, but he was sure that his enquiries had alerted the whole 'family' that there was trouble between him and Brian.



Justin put on his jacket.  He was going to go to Woody's and Babylon and see if that was where Brian had ended up.  He hoped not, but at this point, he simply wanted to find his partner.



An hour later Justin had run out of options.  He had checked Babylon and Woody's, including the back rooms.  There was no sign of Brian. He had asked at the bar if anyone had seen Brian, but no one had.



Then it dawned on him.  There was always one place that he seemed to find Brian when things had gone wrong.  He grabbed a taxi outside of Babylon and headed for the river. Sure enough, he saw the Jeep parked on the shoulder near their bench.  Justin paid the cab driver and headed down the slope to his lover. He could see Brian sitting there, staring at the water.



"Brian," Justin said softly, not wanting to startle Brian who seemed lost in thought.



"Go home, Justin," Brian said sadly.  "Leave me the fuck alone."



"I can't go home," Justin said.  "Home is where you are."



Justin heard Brian sigh.  He sat down beside his lover.



"It's not going to work this time," Brian said.  "I don't want to talk to you. I don't want to look at you."  Brian continued to stare at the river, not even glancing at Justin.



"Brian, you didn't let me explain."



"Explain!  You were too fucking busy throwing up at the thought of taking a goddam ring from me to say anything."



"Please, Brian, let me talk to you."



"If you can explain this away, then you deserve a Nobel Prize for having the greatest line of bullshit of the new millennium."



"I can explain and it won't be bullshit," Justin declared.



"The jury's still out on that one," Brian retorted.



"I'm sorry I reacted so harshly when you offered me the ring."



"Sorry isn't going to cut it!  You know what I think of sorry."



"I know, but I have to say it, because you got the wrong impression."



"Did I now?" Brian asked with a snarl.  "What impression was I supposed to get when you throw up after I ask you to spend your life with me?"



"If that was what you were asking me, then the answer is yes," Justin stated.



"That isn't what came out of your mouth," Brian said ruefully.



"I know, because that isn't what I thought you were asking me."



"What the fuck do you think it means when someone gives you a ring?"



"I thought it meant that you wanted to make some kind of public declaration about our relationship, and … and I don't want you to do that."



"What the fuck are you talking about?  Ever since I met you that is exactly what you've wanted me to do."



"You're right.  For a long time I would have given my right hand to have you do what you did tonight."



"You almost did lose your right hand, Justin," Brian said softly.  Out of the corner of his eye he saw Justin grimace.


"If you had said this to me before Ethan, I never would have left," Justin stated.



"I wasn't ready to say it back then and I'm not sure you were ready to hear it.  We were very different people then," Brian observed.



"That's true.  Our relationship now is so much better than it would have been if we hadn't been apart for that period of time.  I did grow up and learn some things. I know that you love me and you always will. And I'll always love you. Those earlier people would never have survived the Eamonn thing."



"So what's the problem now?  Why did the ring make you throw up?"



"It wasn't the ring.  Ever since you told me at my uncle's cabin that you wanted to talk, I've been trying to figure out what you were going to say.  I thought you wanted to go public about our committed relationship and I had decided that I'd tell you to keep it a secret between the two of us."



"You want it to stay a secret?" Brian asked finding it hard to comprehend what Justin was saying.



"I do," Justin said firmly.  "I want you to be faithful to me because you want to be, not because we've said it publicly.  You know that Ted and Melanie and maybe a few others would like nothing better than to catch you breaking your word and lord it over you about it.  They'd be watching you like a hawk, just waiting for you to fail."



"Me?  What about you?   Isn't it possible that you could fail?  Who left last time?" Brian demanded.



Justin winced.  That cut close to home.  "It could be me who fails, but it's you they'd expect to fail.  You know that."



"Yeah," Brian had to agree.



"I've been worrying ever since the fishing trip, about what you were going to say and how you'd react when I told you to keep it secret.  Then tonight you started again and I thought I knew what was coming. My stomach was churning hoping I would be doing the right thing. And then you spring the ring on me and talk about marriage and my stomach flipped over and I ran for the bathroom."



"I didn't ask you to marry me," Brian said rather harshly.  "You know I don't believe in that."



"I know, but you mentioned the word and I thought that implied that we were making some kind of marriage commitment if I took the ring.  Everyone would know as soon as they saw us wearing them. It would change everything, and I don't want things to change. I like where we are right now."



"Why do the rings mean that things will change?  And if they do, can't they change for the better?"


"Mr. Optimistic!  When did you acquire that Pollyanna view of the world?"



"Since I met you," Brian stated.


Justin giggled and suddenly he found himself in Brian's arms.  Brian's lips pressed against his, and for the first time since Brian had walked out of the loft, Justin thought they might still be all right.



Brian's tongue traced Justin's lips and delved into the soft warmth of the boy's mouth.  Justin opened his lips to receive what Brian was offering. He wanted to show the man that he loved him and wanted him and needed him.



The kiss swirled across Justin's lips and tongue and caressed his teeth.  He moaned into the delicious feeling and his arms wrapped around Brian's neck.



"Take me home," Justin whispered.



"Not yet," Brian said continuing the kiss.



"Please," Justin panted, "or you're going to have to fuck me right here."



"That could be arranged."



"Brian," Justin said pushing back from the man.  "I'm sorry if I hurt you by turning down the ring."



"You didn't hur…" Brian started to deny that he had been hurt.  "I take that back. You did hurt me. I thought that … you didn't want to stay with me anymore.  That you were rejecting me." Brian laid himself bare to the man he loved. If Justin was going to hurt him, he might as well see the results.



"I didn't mean it to come out the way it did.  Do you understand now why I don't want to go public?"



"Kind of.  I guess I owe you a Nobel Prize for bullshit."



"You don't still think it's bullshit, do you?"  Justin looked into Brian's eyes trying to make the man see that he was being honest about his fears and his feelings.



"It's all right.  I believe you and I even agree."



"You do?"



"I just said so, didn't I?"



Justin smiled at him and Brian had to kiss those lips again.  No one tasted as good as Justin. No one smelled as good as Justin.  No one felt so perfect in his arms.



"Let's go home," Brian said pulling Justin to his feet.  "I have some things to do there."



"Do they involve me?" Justin asked with a smile.



"Couldn't do them without you," Brian replied wrapping his arm around Justin's waist and starting up the riverbank.

                                                                  -----



An hour later Brian's cock was firmly planted in Justin's ass.  They had returned to the loft barely in time to lose their clothes and hit the bed.  They had sucked and fucked ever since. Both were covered in a sheen of sweat as they grunted and bucked against each other.  Justin gasped trying to get enough air to tide him over till Brian finished. The man was riding him hard. He knew there was an element of payback for his earlier actions, but he didn't care.  He had Brian exactly where he wanted him – in his bed, up his ass and just about ready to shoot his load.



"Brian!" Justin called as he felt his balls draw up.  His hand reached back and grabbed Brian's hip. Jolts of electricity ran along his spine and he was lost.  The cum spewed from his cock and landed on the bed. His anus contracted around Brian's dick and he felt the cock pulse and throb as Brian's semen filled the condom.  Brian bit Justin's neck as the last spasms roared through his body.



They lay half on top of each other having trouble knowing where one began and the other ended.  Justin shoved himself up and over. He looked at Brian who stared back at him. He wanted to snuggle up against his man, but something told him that that would not be a good idea.



"Brian, are you all right with what I said about the ring?" Justin asked.



"No."



"What?  I thought you understood."



"I do."



"But you're not all right with it?"



"No."


"Then what was this all about?  You can fuck me, but you can't forgive me?"



"I didn't say that.  I'm not a fucking priest!  It's not my place to forgive.  Leave that to God, if there is one."



"Brian, don't draw away from me.  I want to be with you. I love you so much, but I don't want us to wear those rings."



"I heard you the first time you told me that.  I heard you loud and clear."



"And you don't like it?"



"No, I don't."



"What can I do to make it right?" Justin asked on the verge of tears.



"There's nothing you can do.  You feel the way you feel, and so do I."



"But we can't leave it like this.  I feel like you're a million miles away, and I don't like that feeling at all."



"Neither do I, but I don't know how to fix it."



Justin looked sadly at Brian.  He hated how this had turned out.  Maybe he should just put on the fucking ring.  It couldn't be much worse than things were right now.  He thought and thought, trying to come up with something concrete that he could do.



"Brian," Justin began, "remember at the cottage you reminded me about what happened with my sunshine pendant when you first gave it to me.  What if we did the same thing with the rings and put them away for awhile until we figure out what to do about them?"



"Do whatever you want with them.  I hope I never have to look at them again," Brian said.  "I'm going to take a shower."



Brian climbed out of bed and went into the bathroom.  Justin heard the shower go on and realized that Brian had not invited him to join him.  He flopped back on the bed. How was he going to fix this mess that he had created?



                                                               -----



Justin was finishing up his shift at the diner.  Debbie had been watching him ever since he came in to work.  He could feel the approaching inquisition.



"Sunshine, come sit with me while I take a break," Debbie said.



Justin sighed.  He knew she would never let him refuse and leave, so he went quietly to the booth and sat down across from her.



"So tell me what he did this time," she demanded.



"He didn't do anything.  I did," Justin said feeling tears start to surface.



"What did you do?"



"I can't tell you the specifics," Justin insisted.  "It's something we have to work out between us."



"So you want me to keep my big fucking nose out, right?"



"Right."



"Well. I can't."



Justin had been hopeful for a split second that he was going to get away without spilling anything.  Now he wasn't so sure. "Debbie, I can't and I won't talk about this," Justin insisted.



"Okay, but whatever it is it's making both of you crazy and sad.  I saw Brian this morning and he looked like someone had run him over with a Mack truck."



"He looked that bad?" Justin asked.  Had he been pretending not to see what was right in front of him?  He and Brian had come to some kind of silent truce. Justin knew there was still a distance between them, but he hoped that it would disappear over time.  Maybe he was just fooling himself.



"Justin, whatever the problem is, something needs to happen.  You need to fix it."



"I'm not sure I can," Justin admitted.



Debbie patted his hand and prayed this kid could pull it off once again.  He was the only one who had ever made Brian happy and she didn't want to see that all fall apart.  The man deserved a little bit of love and laughter in his life.



"But I'm going to try," Justin said getting up from the booth.  "Thanks for the pep talk, Deb."


"Anytime, baby, anytime."



Justin rode the bus back to PIFA.  He wanted some time alone to think.  He dialed Brian's number and got voicemail.  He left a brief message saying that he had some work to do in his space at the institute and he'd be home around ten.  As he cut the connection on his cell phone, he wondered if Brian even cared anymore if he came home at all.



They had been so unconnected this last week, ever since he had refused the ring.  Even when they fucked it wasn't the same. Brian seemed to be holding back, never truly giving himself to Justin the way he usually did.  Justin wondered if he had caused Brian to construct some new wall to protect himself from being hurt once again.



They had decided to put the rings away and not do anything with them for now.  Justin had put them in the drawer of the nightstand on his side of the bed, the same place his sunshine pendant had rested until they were ready for it and what it meant.



But this was different.  He had hurt Brian by turning down the ring.  When Brian had admitted that he was hurt, Justin knew it must be deep because Brian never admitted that he was hurt.  Maybe he should put the ring on and hope for the best. The problem was that he knew in his gut that the time was not right.  If things were bad now, they would be a lot worse when they started wearing the rings. He didn't exactly know why he felt this way, but he was totally sure that was what would happen.



He walked to the fine arts studio building and dropped his knapsack in his space.  He looked at the painting that he had been working on. It was close to being finished, but he didn't really feel like working on it.  He wandered around his little cubicle looking at things he had done before. Some of them were really good and others, well, he wondered why he kept them.  They should go the way of all bad art – the dump.



He saw the sculpture sitting on the back of the table.  He made a face as he looked at it. He wasn't much of a sculptor, but he had had to take a sculpture course at the beginning of last year.  He had managed to get the credit he needed in that course, but he would not likely ever do another sculpture. He stared at this piece of work and thought about its checkered history.



He had started it when he was with Ethan, still in the throes of young love and passion.  It was supposed to represent their two hearts intertwined. What a romantic dork he had been!  The concept hadn't been too bad though. He had fashioned two hearts, elongated and somewhat distorted in shape.  One was stainless steel with a shiny surface and the other was brushed steel with a matte finish. Ethan was the shiny one, the star, the egomaniac.  He was the matte one, more subtle, more subservient. It always seemed to be under the other one as they twisted together in the sculpture. Was that how he had felt even so early in the relationship?  He had always bent to Ethan's whims, done whatever the young man wanted. Justin shook his head at his foolishness and naiveté.



Then he and Ethan had split, not very amicably, and he still had to hand in a sculpture assignment.  He decided to finish this piece since he had invested a lot of time and effort into it already. However, the meaning of it changed.  He knew it didn't represent true love anymore, certainly not the so-called love between him and Ethan.



He had taken the sculpture to the tech who helped them with metalwork.  He had decided that this sculpture represented him and Brian. He had subjugated himself to Brian too and look where that had got him.  He asked the tech to help him drill a rather large hole through the matte-finished heart. At the time he had liked the effect. He truly felt that hole in his own heart, caused by both Brian and Ethan.



His hand ran over the smooth metal of the sculpture and the beginnings of an idea began to formulate in his head.  He lifted the sculpture from its spot and emptied out his knapsack. He squeezed the sculpture into the backpack, just barely getting it zipped up.  He fished around in the drawer of the table till he found the last thing that he needed for his plan.



As he locked up his space, he said a silent prayer that this might work.



                                                                 -----



Brian was on the computer when Justin slid back the loft door.



"Hey," Justin said.



"Hey."



"Not a very warm welcome," Justin thought.  Maybe what he was going to do would make a difference.  He hoped so. He took off his jacket and carried his knapsack up to the bedroom.  He didn't want Brian to see the sculpture yet. He took the little green box with the Celtic knot on top out of the drawer by the bed.  He lifted the lid and gently touched the rings. They didn't burn his fingers. That was a good sign. He smiled slightly to himself as he fished something from his jeans pocket.  It was a tiny hook. He linked the two rings on the little hook and watched them dangle and glow in the soft light of the bedroom.



Just then he heard Brian shut off the computer and push back his chair.  Justin closed his hand around the rings and waited for Brian to come to bed.



"Why are you sitting up here all by yourself?" Brian asked as he came up the steps.



"Just thinking."



"Come up with anything interesting?" Brian asked.



"Maybe."



"Oh?" Brian didn't seem terribly interested.  "I'm going to take a shower."



Brian went into the bathroom and Justin heard the shower go on.  Now was his chance. He pulled the sculpture out of his knapsack and got to work.



Fifteen minutes later Brian came into the bedroom to find Justin naked on the bed.



"Waiting for someone?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"I was hoping," Justin said.  He got onto his knees and reached out for Brian's towel.  A quick tug and it came off easily. Justin eyed Brian's cock which had begun to spring to life.  "Looks like I've found what I was waiting for," Justin observed.



He tossed the towel on the floor and crawled closer to the edge of the bed.  He placed his hands on Brian's hips and pulled the man toward him. Brian didn't resist, but he didn't seem very keen either.  "This has to work," Justin thought as his lips trailed kisses down Brian's stomach heading towards his cock.



Brian knew that Justin was trying to make up for refusing his ring.  He still wasn't sure he could let that go. It had been too much of a blow.  He understood rationally why Justin was afraid and had conceded that Justin's arguments had some merit, but that didn't take the sting out of Justin's reaction.  He wasn't sure he could ever forget that.



Justin's sweet warm mouth found his manhood and began an exquisite blowjob.  Brian's eyes closed and he allowed the waves of pleasure to wash over him. Nobody could do these things to him like Justin could.  Since he had met the boy he had had many blowjobs, but none as good as this young man gave.



Brian felt his orgasm approaching.  He wanted things to be right between him and Justin.  He hated this distance they both felt. He wished he knew how to make things right again.



"Ahhh, Justin!" he called and grabbed the boy's hair.  He thrust into the boy's mouth and felt his cum erupt in wave after wave.  Justin took it all and milked him dry. Brian staggered a bit as the orgasm left him spent and empty.  He felt Justin stand up and wrap his arms around him, supporting and steadying him. "I love you," Brian whispered into the boy's hair.



He could feel the smile on Justin's face at his words.  He was glad. He didn't want to hurt him, and he didn't want to be hurt anymore.



"I love you too," Justin whispered back.  "Come lay with me?" Justin took Brian's hand and gently pulled the man down onto the bed.  Brian lay on his back and Justin snuggled against him. He had missed this. There hadn't been much snuggling since the ring incident.



Neither said anything for awhile.  They each enjoyed the closeness of the other, touching and feeling what had been missing for days.



"Are we all right?" Justin whispered.



"I hope so," Brian replied.  "I don't like where we've been lately.  Those fucking rings!"



"Look at the dresser, Brian," Justin said.



Brian glanced over and saw Justin's sculpture sitting on top of the dresser.  "What's that?" Brian asked sitting up to get a better look.



"It's a sculpture I made a while ago.  I brought it home tonight and added something to it while you were taking your shower."



Brian looked more closely.  "Is that the rings hanging in the middle of that hole?"



"Yes," Justin said softly.



"What does it mean?" Brian asked frowning.



"Look at it closely and tell me what you see."



"It looks like two intertwining hearts, one with a hole in it, and you've hung the rings in the hole."



"That's exactly what it is," Justin said giving Brian a kiss.  "I started this sculpture when I was with Ethan." Justin felt Brian tense up at the mention of the fiddler's name.



"I don't want those rings in something that represents your great love with that asshole."



"Let me finish, please," Justin asked.  He felt Brian relax a little bit. "I started it to be me and Ethan, but then we broke up and it became you and me.  The hole I added later when I realized the empty space that I had in my heart without you."



Brian was studying Justin's face.  He could hear the truth in Justin's words.



"So why have you added the rings?" Brian asked.



"I never liked that sculpture very much," Justin explained.  "I don't think I'm much of a sculptor, but more that that, I didn't like the negative feeling it represented.  I was looking at it tonight in my space at IFA and I knew what it needed. Those rings have filled that hole in my heart.  They prove that you love me and want to be with me. They complete that sculpture and they complete me. We can leave them there until we're ready to wear them in public, but we'll both know what they mean.  Nobody else has to know."



"I like that," Brian said simply.



"I was hoping you would."



"So the rings weren't a waste.  They're not going to make you throw up anymore?"



"I told you it wasn't the rings.  I love you, Brian, but I don't want to go public with our private business right now.  People can look at the sculpture and draw their own conclusions. Only you and I will know the real meaning."



"I like that too," Brian said.



"They also hold a promise for the future," Justin added.



"That's good.  You're so smart," Brian said and captured Justin's lips in a warm and tender kiss.



Justin felt his cock swell and harden as much at Brian's words as at his touch.  He loved that Brian thought he was smart. Sexy was great but smart was even better.  He was so pleased that Brian thought he had done the right thing with the rings. He knew in his heart that they would wear them on their fingers in the not too distant future.



Brian's tongue licked along Justin's jaw and down his throat.  Justin's head went back to give the man greater access. He knew what he really wanted, what would seal their bargain.



"I want to fuck you," Justin whispered in Brian's ear.



Brian smiled at him.  He knew that was coming.  It was nice to be back in tune with each other.  Brian rolled over and stuck his ass up in Justin's face.  "Be my guest," he said with a smirk as he looked back at Justin.



Justin kissed Brian's shoulder and worked his way down the man's back.  He felt Brian groan and knew he was having the desired effect. He was going to give the man the rimming job of his life and then he would fuck him senseless.  It was going to be a long and very hot night. He took a quick glance at his sculpture and smiled before he buried his tongue in his lover's ass.

Chapter 19 - Perfection by Thyme

 

Perfection  



"Brian," Justin began.



"What now?" the man answered with annoyance in his voice.



"Well, excuuuuse me."



"For what?"



"Interrupting your important life by talking to you."



"Is that what you were doing?" Brian asked deliberately being obtuse.



"You are the most exasperating person!"



"Really?  I always knew I was superlative."



"You're superlative at a lot of things!" Justin said in his most sarcastic voice.



"Such as?"



"Let's see – most annoying, most egotistical, most difficult to live with.  Shall I continue?"



"Please," said Brian sliding closer to Justin and beginning to nibble on his ear.



"Snarkiest, most impatient, most severely honest," Justin continued.  "Most … um…talented, sexiest, best lover," Justin moaned.



"Now you're getting to the really important stuff," Brian stated moving down to nibble Justin's neck.



"Am I?" Justin whispered losing his train of thought.



"Yes," Brian said capturing Justin's lips in a gentle but insistent kiss.



"Ummm," Justin moaned.



"You taste good," Brian whispered.  His lips rubbed over Justin's and his tongue flicked the roof of the boy's mouth.



Brian's hand had wandered to the crotch of Justin's jeans.  He squeezed, feeling the already stiffening organ expand in his fist.  "Somebody's horny!" Brian said in a singsong voice.



"Somebody makes me that way!" Justin managed to retort.  He was quickly losing all thought of what he had wanted to talk to Brian about.



Brian unzipped Justin's jeans and slid his hand inside.  He could feel the moistness of the boy's precum as his hand snaked into the underpants.  "Somebody's always ready," he singsonged.



"Lucky for somebody that I am," Justin gasped as Brian's fist engulfed his cock and used the precum to lubricate his dick.  Brian's fist moved up and down the shaft. "Shit!"



Brian's hands quickly divested Justin of his remaining clothes.  He pushed the boy down to lie on the couch and spread his own weight over him.  He could feel his own cock straining against Justin's. Justin pushed his hips up into Brian and grabbed his neck forcing him into a deep and penetrating kiss.  Brian felt Justin unbutton his jeans and free his cock from its confinement.



"Fuck me!" Justin gasped.



"But of course," Brian replied trying to shove his jeans down while still atop Justin.



"Leave them on.  They feel great against my cock."



"Okay," Brian said looking into Justin's eyes.  He pushed himself up onto his knees and did up the top button on the jeans.  That left his erect cock sticking out and ready for action. Justin grasped it firmly and leaned in to kiss the tip.  His tongue slid through the slit licking the precum.



"Um," he moaned.



Brian grinned at him.  He loved it when Justin was so uninhibited.  He was the sexiest creature alive as far as Brian was concerned.  His combination of youthful innocence and wanton sexuality pushed all of Brian's buttons.  He was the perfect sexual object. But he was so much more than just sex. It was his other qualities that made him so special.



Brian reached for the lube and squirted it in Justin's hole.  The boy gasped as the cold gel penetrated him. Brian's fingers weren't far behind.  They scissored in and out opening the pucker to take the girth of Brian's cock. Justin rolled his head back and forth, shutting his eyes and giving himself over to the pleasure of Brian's experienced digits. They found his prostate and he arched off the couch crying out his enjoyment.



Brian looked at the delicious creature beneath him.  He truly was beautiful, the golden hair, the flawless skin, the pink lips.  His cock strained toward the spot it wanted to be. Brian gave up listing Justin's attributes in his head.  His body was taking over, demanding that he find release.



Brian's hand quickly lubed his cock.  Hands grasped Justin's hips holding him in place.  Hands pulled Justin toward him and the boy was impaled on his throbbing dick.



"God!" Brian gasped.  He never got enough of his boy.  Every time he entered him was better than the last, every time was new and wonderful, every time was exquisite.



Brian pumped forward.  He was fully inside and he loved the tightness around his cock.  He could stay there forever. Justin's eyes were still closed. Brian drew back and thrust hard and fast.  The boy's eyes fluttered open in surprise. He looked at Brian.



For a fraction of a second Justin saw what Brian was seeing.  He saw that Brian looked at him with want, with need, with adoration, and even with unbridled love.  His heart felt like it was going to explode. He knew Brian loved him. The man even told him that, occasionally.  But it wasn't often that Brian let his true emotions play out on his face. He was usually so guarded. Justin cherished this moment and he beamed his sunshine smile in response.



"What?" Brian asked, smiling back at him.



"I love you so much," Justin whispered.  He knew he better not mention what he had just seen or it would be harder to get it to happen again.



"That goes without saying," Brian grinned.



"And you love me just as much."



"Yes … I do."



"Then fuck the shit out of me!" Justin commanded.



Brian smiled again and drawing back, he thrust into his lover, rotating his hips.



Justin shrieked, "Oh, oh, ohhhhhhh!"  The combination of well-worn denim and cool metal buttons against his cock and Brian's throbbing dick rotating in his ass was almost more than he could stand.



"Feel good?" Brian asked enjoying the reactions he could produce in Justin.



"Unbelievable!"



"Then let's continue."



Brian drove deep and hard with each thrust making sure he rotated his hips to get the denim to rub across Justin's dick.  The boy moaned and keened his pleasure pushing Brian to continue his actions. Brian loved to give Justin pleasure and the boy was really getting off on this.



Justin clutched at Brian's arms.  He wanted this to continue forever, but he knew he was reaching his limit.  His balls drew up and he felt those little jolts of anticipation. He would be lost in a moment or two.



"Brian!" he gasped and the man knew he was ready.



Brian thrust rapidly into his lover feeling his own orgasm building.  He looked down at Justin knowing this would be over in a few seconds. He wondered how many times they had reached this point in the course of their checkered history, but it never got old or predictable.  He felt his own orgasm approaching and he slammed frantically into Justin all other thoughts being pushed aside. A few more thrusts and they both were coming, hard and earth-shattering and long.



They lay locked together on the couch neither able to speak or move for a few moments.  Finally Brian raised his head from Justin's chest. He grinned at the boy whose mouth hung open still sucking in much needed air.



"You wanted to talk to me?" Brian said smugly.



"I did?"



"That's what you said."



"Oh?"



"So what is it?"



"Give me a minute," Justin said, frantically trying to make his memory cells function.  He was sure there was something he had wanted to say.



Brian chuckled.  He loved to do this to Justin.  The boy was so smart and could even out-argue him, sometimes.  This was the best way to confuse him and keep him off balance. He knew he could bamboozle Justin now, if he didn't want to do whatever was going to be requested of him.



Justin tried to focus.  There were still little ripples of pleasure coursing through him.  He called them aftershocks and he loved when they happened. However, that made it very hard for him to concentrate and he was sure that he had something important to ask Brian.



"I'm waiting," Brian said beginning to nuzzle Justin's neck.



"Shit!" Justin gasped.  "Stop, please! I do have something to tell you, but I need to concentrate."



"So concentrate.  Who's stopping you?" Brian teased chewing softly on a dutifully responding nipple.



"You are," Justin said as harshly as he could muster.  "You know exactly what you're doing."



"And what might that be?"



"Distracting me.  Making me forget. Oh God!  Turning me on!" Justin rambled on.  He pushed Brian back trying to make him stop.  "Please, let me think," Justin pleaded.



"I like you better when you don't think."



"No, you don't."



"How do you know?"



"I know everything about you.  I'm on to you."



"So what am I doing right now?" Brian challenged.



"You're distracting me so I can't ask you something that you might not want to do."



"Fuck!" Brian spat out.  The kid really did have his number.



"I remember!" Justin said triumphantly.



"What?" Brian gave in, stopping his attack on Justin's pleasure zones.



"Saturday is my mother's birthday.  I want us to take her and maybe Molly out to dinner, some place special."



"Are you nuts?"



"No, why do you ask that?"  Justin looked the picture of innocence as he stared up at Brian.



"You know that your mother is not one of my biggest fans and never will be."



"She's come a long way, Brian.  She knows you love me."



"She tolerates me at best."



"You're being too harsh.  She loved the bowl we brought her from Ireland.  She hugged you."



"And what a heartwarming experience that was!" Brian said sarcastically.



"Don't be mean!  You seemed to enjoy it at the time."



"I didn't say she doesn't try.  She certainly has made progress since we've been together, but I'm not sure we'll ever be comfortable with each other."



"Brian, please, just say you'll be there.  I know she'll appreciate it."



"I guess I didn't do a good enough job of distracting you," Brian said shaking his head.  He gave in. "All right, I'll go."



"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Justin gushed kissing all over Brian's face.



"You better stop that or we're going to be into another session of Distraction 101."



"Sounds good to me."



The kisses escalated in intensity until all thought of the birthday dinner was erased from both their minds.



                                                                 -----



Saturday evening Brian and Justin sat in Pappagano's.  They were waiting for Jennifer to arrive. She had had a late showing of a house and was meeting them afterwards for dinner.  Molly had decided to go to a friend's house for a sleepover.



"I'm hungry," Justin said.  "I wish mom would hurry up."



"I wish this was over," Brian replied.



Justin made a face at him.



"Justin, you know better than to act like that in public," Jennifer warned her son as she approached the table.



"Sorry, mom," Justin said standing to give her a kiss on the cheek.



"Brian," she acknowledged the other man as he stood and held her chair for her.  "Thank you."



"Would you like a drink?" Brian asked.



"Red wine, please."



Brian signaled the waiter who took the order and disappeared.



"Did you sell the house?" Justin asked.



"Probably not.  They're thinking about it which usually means that they can't afford it or aren't ready to make the commitment."



Justin and Brian looked at each other upon hearing Jennifer's interesting choice of words.  Justin could feel the blush rising up his cheeks.



"Shall we order?" Brian asked picking up his menu and deflecting attention from his partner's reddening face.



Justin gave him a mouthed, "Thank you."



The waiter brought Jennifer's wine and took their orders.  Brian raised his glass and proposed a toast to the birthday girl.  He thought he caught a hint of a blush on Jennifer's face when he used that term to describe her.



"Please don't ask which birthday this is," Jennifer said with a little laugh.



"A gentleman never asks a lady about her age," Brian said gallantly.



Jennifer smiled at him and he swore there was a little more of a blush.



"I already know your age, mom, and I won't tell," Justin said.



"Thanks, sweetheart."



Their salads arrived and they began eating in relative silence.  Jennifer asked her son if school had started all right, and if he was keeping up with his assignments.  Justin nodded and Brian gave him a smile.



"Are you still making sure he does his homework?" Jennifer asked Brian teasingly.



"No, I'm not," Brian stated in a serious manner.  "Your little boy is all grown up. He does his own work, makes his own schedules and is quite successful at whatever he puts his mind and talent to."



"Really!  That sounds like a very adult arrangement.  I'm impressed."



"We are adults, mom," Justin felt compelled to say.



"Of course, darling."



"I'm going to the restroom," Justin said having finished his salad.



"Hurry back," Brian ordered amiably, only half joking.  He didn't particularly want to be alone with Jennifer.



"So, how's work?"


"Peachy."



Jennifer giggled.  "I'm just trying to make small talk."



"I know."



"You know, Brian, I'm not looking for trouble.  I would really like for all of us to get along."



"So would I."



"Then what's the problem."



"Um … nothing, nothing at all."



"Brian, I know that's not true.  Please, be honest with me."



"Are you sure you want me to?"



"Yes, or I wouldn't ask you."



"Whenever we're together I have the distinct feeling that you're waiting for me to make some huge faux pas so that you can tell Justin to go find someone more suitable.  I know you don't think I'm the right one for your son. You thought Ethan was much more what you were looking for in a son-in-law."



"You're not my son-in-law," Jennifer stated firmly.  "And whatever I thought of Ethan, he's no longer part of the equation."



Brian sighed.  He had known it would be useless to tell her how she made him feel.  She thought she was being the perfect mother, never a wrong word or incorrect step.  She was perfect, so whatever she did had to be right.



Justin returned as the waiter cleared their salad plates.  Brian immediately stood and headed for the restroom without a word of explanation.



"What happened?" Justin asked his mother as he looked at Brian's retreating back.



"Nothing, nothing happened."



"I know better."



It was Jennifer's turn to sigh.  "He seems to think that I'm waiting for him to make a mistake so that I can tell you to get rid of him.  Like you'd listen to me anyway!"



"And aren't you, mom?"



"What?  What do you mean?"



"I get the same feeling.  You always look at Brian like you can barely tolerate him.  You're wary and cautious around him like you're afraid of him.  No wonder he doesn't feel comfortable with you."



"Is that how I come across?  Because it's not true."



Brian returned and slid into his seat.  They all smiled uncomfortably at one another.  Most of the meal was eaten in silence with a few mostly failed attempts at conversation.  Brian caught Jennifer giving him some strange looks. She would immediately glance away as soon as she realized that Brian knew she was watching him.  He had the distinct impression that she wanted to say something, but was holding back.



"She probably wants to list my faults and tell me all the reasons I'm not good enough for her baby boy," Brian thought to himself.



Finally the main course was over.  The waiter brought coffee and the little cake with a candle that Brian had arranged for ahead of time.  Jennifer was pleasantly surprised and a little embarrassed that they had gone to all this trouble for her.  She thanked Justin for being so thoughtful.



"Mom, I didn't do this.  I didn't know anything about the cake until it arrived at the table.  Brian must have done it."



Brian looked sheepish.  "Guilty as charged," Brian said.  "I just thought you might like it."



"Well, thank you, Brian.  That was very … considerate."



Brian noted the hesitation before her last word.  "She has to think of a polite, non-committal word to describe what I've done.  She can't just fucking say thank you with any amount of sincerity," Brian thought.  He shook his head as he looked at this woman who was so important to Justin and whose standards he could never live up to.  He could never be what she wanted for Justin. He was not good enough in her eyes and he was sure he never would be.



Finally dinner was over and Brian picked up the check.  He left a healthy tip and they got up to leave.



"Well, thank you … both … for making this a very special evening for me," Jennifer stated.



"You're welcome, mom," Justin replied.  "I hope you enjoyed your dinner."



"Oh, I did, honey.  Thank you too, Brian," she said rather formally.



"Any time!" Brian replied trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice.



They headed outside and Brian and Justin walked Jennifer to her car.  As she drove off, Justin heard his lover let out a long breath.



"That went pretty well," Justin said.



"It was a barrel of fucking laughs!  I can hardly wait for the next time!"



"Brian, don't be so negative."



"Me!  What about your mother?  She doesn't appreciate a fucking thing I do.  It's never good enough."



"She thanked you and she said she enjoyed her dinner."



"Well, she fucking gave me indigestion!" Brian snarled as they arrived at the Jeep.



"Let's go home and I'll make it up to you in the very best way that I can."



"Your ass is going to be so sore you won't be able to sit down for a week."



"Promises!  Promises!" Justin said with a grin.  That earned him a long, deep kiss before they got into the car.



                                                               -----



Sunday morning Brian sat at his computer.  Justin had gone to the diner for a morning shift.  He would be back about 2 pm. Brian grinned as he thought about their activities last night.  The boy had done his best to obliterate the memory of dinner with Jennifer. They had fucked again and again until Brian was sure his dick was going to fall off.  He wasn't sure how Justin had been able to walk this morning. His gait had been a little tentative as he left for work. Brian smiled at the memory.



Suddenly the buzzer sounded indicating that someone was at his front door.  Most people knew not to bother him on a Sunday morning. He was usually fucking Justin and had made it clear to their friends that this was a bad time to call.



He pressed the intercom and snarled, "What?"



"Brian?" a female voice said.



"Jennifer?  Is that you?"



"Yes, may I come up?"



"Um … sure, but Justin isn't here."



"I know.  I want to talk to you."



Brian buzzed her up.  He couldn't think of anything he less wanted to do than spend Sunday morning chatting with Jennifer Taylor.  He wondered for a moment if he had time to call Justin and tell him to get his butt home. Jennifer knocked on the loft door as the end of that thought skittered across Brian's brain.



"Shit!" he muttered as he pulled back the door and plastered on his best smile.



"Good morning, Brian.  May I come in?" Jennifer asked.



"Sure."



Jennifer entered the loft looking around rather tentatively.



"No one's here," Brian said somewhat harshly.  "I told you Justin's at work and I don't have a trick stashed in the bathroom."



"I…I didn't think that you did."



Brian knew that was exactly what she had been thinking.  He promised himself that he would never tell her that he and Justin were in a committed relationship.  Her opinion of him was about as low as it could get and she deserved to never feel secure about her son's relationship with him, if that was how she felt.



"Would you like some coffee?" Brian asked.



"Do you have something stronger?"



Brian snorted.  That was the last thing he had expected Jennifer to ask.  "Name your poison. I have just about anything you could want."  It was barely noon.



"Red wine, please," she said quickly.  She knew she needed to keep her wits about her, but she also knew how hard this conversation was going to be.



Brian poured her a glass of wine and got a shot of Beam for himself.  He wasn't looking forward to this conversation any more than she seemed to be.



"So what can I do for you?" Brian asked when they were seated in the living room, she on the couch and he in a chair.



"I felt very uncomfortable at dinner last night," she said.  "I think you have the wrong impression of me."


"I doubt that," Brian replied rather harshly.



"I really don't like all this tension between us.  I know that you and Justin seem to have made some sort of life together and that's the way things are.  I'd like to be on better terms with you," she said taking a big drink of her wine as she finished that statement.



Brian snorted.  "I doubt that's going to happen."



"Why?"



Brian sighed.  "Did you hear what you just said?  Justin and I don't have 'some sort of life together'.  We live together. We love and support each other."



"But he's still a boy.  I don't see how you can have an adult relationship with someone who is a teenager.  He has his whole life ahead of him. He's going to grow and change and then will you still want him?"



"Justin is more of a man than just about any person I've ever met.  I respect him. I want him to grow and change. He helps me to do that too, and I try to return the favor."



Jennifer was floored.  She didn't know what to say in response to that.  She had never thought that Justin helped Brian in any way other than sexual.  She heard the truth in Brian's words about how he wanted Justin to grow and change.  Justin never would have gone to New York for the art course if Brian hadn't pressed him to.  But how could Justin possibly help Brian to change? He was a grown man with everything going for him and an arrogant attitude to go along with it.  "How can Justin possibly help you to change?" she had to ask.



"Shouldn't we all change and grow through the course of our lifetime?"



"Well, aren't you the philosopher all of a sudden?"



Brian grimaced.  "You see, there's the reason we don't get along.  You take everything I say with skepticism. You don't for a moment think that I'm being sincere and that maybe, just maybe, Justin is the one who helped me realize these things."



Now Jennifer was really taken aback.  "But you had a seemingly perfect life before Justin came along, and I know you didn't want to give it up.  You have a great job, a perfect home, all the … tricks you could want. Why would you want to change?"



"At first I didn't want to, but Justin showed me how lonely I really was.  He taught me how to love him," Brian said with such honesty that Jennifer felt some of her resentment of the man fall away.



"He did?"



"He did."



"And you don't want that former life anymore?"



"Not without Justin," Brian said, "although I would like to keep my job and my home."



Jennifer noted that he didn't say anything about wanting the tricks.  Maybe there was more to this relationship than she was aware. "Brian, I've thought that you were stringing Justin along, using him, and at some point you would discard him or he would outgrow you.  Either way there would be lots of pain. That's why I've always been so wary of you. I thought you were going to hurt my son, that he could never fit into your perfect lifestyle for any length of time."



"I don't know where you got this perfect lifestyle idea.  It was what it was."



"But you are always totally self-assured, so focused and so in control.  When Justin left home you took over everything. You became like his parent and I felt threatened.  You pay for his schooling. I can't even carry out that parental function. He lives with you and I really don't understand your relationship."



"Well, neither do I, so join the club."



Jennifer chuckled and took another drink of her wine.  That emptied the glass.



"Another?" Brian asked and she nodded.  He went to the kitchen to refill the glass.



This wasn't going at all the way Jennifer had thought it would.  She had been prepared to confront Brian, call him on how he was using her son and get everything out in the open.  They were getting things out in the open, but nothing like she had expected.


With another glass of wine in her hand, she proceeded.  "So you're telling me that you get as much out of this relationship as Justin does?"



"More!"



"Maybe I've been misjudging you," she said somewhat hesitantly.



"You think?"



"Well, I'm sorry if that's what I've done.  I'll try to be less judgmental in the future.  I'll look at this from a new perspective. But I'd like you to do the same."



"Me?  What have I done?"



"You judge me too.  You think I try to run Justin's life and tell him what to do."


"Nobody tells that boy what to do.  He has a mind of his own."



"I know, but sometimes I have to tell him when I think he's making a mistake."



"A mistake like me?"



"Yes," she had to admit, "but I'm beginning to rethink that."



"Good."



"I'm not perfect, Brian.  I make mistakes too."



He looked at her rather skeptically.  "No shit!"



"No shit!"



"Well you sure as fuck let everyone think you're perfect – the perfect mother, the perfect realtor, the perfect wife until that all fell apart."



Jennifer looked hurt by his words and he was sorry he had brought up her failed marriage.  "I don't think I'm the perfect wife, mother or realtor. I just try to do the best I can. Have you always felt that I thought I was perfect?"



"Only since I've known you!"



"Let me be the first to tell you that I'm far from perfect and I regret that that was how you perceived me."



"So neither one of us is perfect!  Where does that leave us?" Brian asked.



"With a better understanding of each other, I hope," Jennifer said finishing off her wine.



Brian nodded to the glass and Jennifer shook her head.  She had had more than enough and she had a lot to think about after this conversation.



"I should be going," she said standing up.  "Thanks for talking to me so honestly. I have a much different picture of you with my son now."



"A more positive one?"



"Definitely."



"And I have a different view of you.  Maybe we can start to get along a little better, for Justin's sake."



"For all our sakes, I hope so."



Brian pulled back the loft door and Jennifer left.  He wasn't exactly sure what had just happened over the last hour, but somehow he felt better.



                                                                  -----



When Justin arrived home awhile later he found Brian sitting on the couch staring out the window at the sky.



"Hey.  What did you do while I was gone?" Justin asked.



"I had a visitor."



"Oh, who?"



"Your mother."



"Mom, what did she want?"



"She wanted to clarify her definition of perfection and so did I."



"What the fuck does that mean?"



"That we reached a mutually agreeable understanding."



"Sounds good.  So what is this definition of perfection?"


"You!"

Chapter 20 - Insensitive by Thyme

 

Insensitive  

Justin pushed back the loft door and dropped his portfolio and backpack just inside.  He wearily pulled the door closed and looked around for Brian. He didn't see the man anywhere.



"Brian?" he called.



There was no answer.  Justin wondered where he could be.  They had spoken on the telephone several hours ago.  Brian wanted Justin to come home. Justin knew by the huskiness in Brian's voice that he was horny, but the artist had been in the middle of a painting project that was going really well and was due in a few days.  He hadn't wanted to stop. He told Brian that he was busy and would be home around ten. It was almost eleven-thirty now. He had got caught up in his work and was very pleased with the almost finished painting that was drying in his studio space.



He wondered if Brian had gone out with the boys, to Babylon or Woody's.  That was fine if he had. He rarely worried about Brian finding a trick. He knew Brian loved him and was being faithful.  Their commitment rings still hung in the sculpture on the dresser. Nobody had even noticed, although not many people were in their bedroom.  Times had changed. There wasn't the steady flow of traffic through there that once had been. Justin smiled to himself as he pulled off his clothes and headed for the shower.



He had almost got the last bits of paint off his hands when he felt a gust of cool air and strong arms encircled him.



"So you finally came home?" a soft voice asked.



"So did you," Justin replied.



"I had to do something, when you wouldn't come home and take care of my needs."



Justin frowned.  "Brian, you didn't go to the backrooms or the baths, did you?"



"Would it matter if I had?"



"Of course it would matter."


"Well, I didn't."



Justin let out a sigh of relief.  "I'm sorry I couldn't come before, but I needed to finish that painting."



"So can you come now?" Brian asked, reaching around to fondle Justin's semi-erect penis.



"I can always come for you," Justin stated with certainty.



Brian smiled and nuzzled his neck.  Justin felt Brian's erection pressing into the crease of his ass.



"Did you save that for me?" Justin asked.



"Only for you, baby."



Justin turned around and kissed his lover.  He was pleased and relieved that Brian had not sought release somewhere else.  He trusted Brian implicitly, but he also knew that Brian had demons that sometimes ruled his life.  He was not always as patient as he had been tonight. He could have any man he wanted and there were always handy sources of pleasure.  The fact that Brian no longer partook of them made Justin extremely happy.



He slid gradually to his knees his mouth sucking along Brian's chest and stomach as he went down.  His mouth engulfed the cap of Brian's cock and sucked. He heard Brian gasp. The man wasn't kidding.  He was horny and it wouldn't take much to make him come. He decided that Brian deserved a reward for his good behavior.  He swirled his tongue around the tip of the cock and took gentle and then more forceful pulls at it. Brian's head arched back and he groaned.



Justin looked up at him as he licked all over the swollen dick.  Brian's eyes were closed and he had backed up against the wall of the shower for support.  Justin crept forward and suddenly sucked in the cock taking it all the way down his throat so that his face was buried in Brian's pubes.



"Ahh, ah, ahhh!" Brian moaned.


Justin slowly released the cock sucking hard and then soft as he did so.  He again ran his tongue around the tip dipping into the slit and causing Brian to moan some more.  He bobbed furiously in front of his lover working his lips up and down the shaft and surprising Brian with the speed and pressure variations that he was able to achieve.  He felt Brian's fingers grip his hair and pull as the man shot his load down Justin's throat.



"Fuck!" Brian gasped as he slumped against the wall.



Justin stood up and held Brian kissing his lover and depositing a bit of cum into the waiting mouth.



"That was fucking incredible!" Brian breathed, his eyes still closed.



"Good enough to wait for?" Justin asked.



"Good enough to keep me wanting only you," Brian admitted.



That earned him a sunshine smile as he finally opened his eyes.



"I think I finally got all the paint off me, so let's go to bed and you can practice some interesting techniques on me," Justin said kissing Brian once more.



"Deal!" Brian said wrapping his arm around Justin's waist as they stepped out of the shower.



An hour later they lay snuggled together on the bed.  They had fucked and sucked themselves into an agreeable state of exhaustion.  Justin raked his nails gently across Brian's chest as he faced him.



"What are you thinking about?" Brian asked.



"How nice this is … and how fucking long it takes me to get back and forth to the Institute every day.  I was trying to earn enough money this summer to get a car, but by the time I bought my books and supplies I only had a few hundred left."



"And you nearly worked yourself to death to get it," Brian said with a grimace.



"Not quite, but I was tired."



"Actually I wanted to talk to you about a car," Brian said.



"What?"



"Hear me out before you say anything," Brian asked.  Justin nodded hoping against hope. "I've been thinking about buying a vintage Corvette.  I've always wanted one."



"Lucky for you!  I have no car and you get the car of your dreams!"  Justin was in no mood to hear about Brian's next extravagance.



"I asked you to hear me out."



"Well, I don't want to hear about your fantasy car!  I'm tired and I have to get up early to catch the bus for my nine o'clock class."



With that Justin rolled over and pulled the sheet up around his shoulders.



"Justin?" Brian said softly.



"Leave me alone!  Sometimes you are so insensitive."



"I…"



"Just stop!  Enough is enough!"



"Fuck you too!!" Brian said and turned away from his lover.  What the fuck had happened? He'd show the little pisser who was insensitive.



                                                             -----



Justin awoke to the sound of the alarm.  He reached over and gave it a whack. When he flopped onto his back, he realized the bed was empty.



"Brian?" he called.



There was no answer, so he knew Brian had already gone to work.  "Shit!" He hadn't meant to get mad last night, but he couldn't believe the gall of the man, describing the dream Corvette he wanted to get, when Justin was trying to tell him how tiring it was to ride the fucking bus every day.  Brian really was a selfish bugger sometimes.



Justin threw back the sheet and went into the bathroom for a shower.  Once he was washed and dressed he headed for the kitchen to get some juice and a bagel before he left for class.  As he came down the steps, he could see something taped to the refrigerator door. It was a picture of a green Corvette all shiny and looking like a million dollars.  Brian had stuck a Post-it note above saying: "This will be my new car before the week is out. Want to go for a ride?"



Justin ripped the picture and note off the fridge and threw them in the garbage under the sink.



"Fucker!" he said aloud, letting the jealousy and hurt wash over him.



He took a swig of orange juice from the container in the fridge, grabbed a bagel and ran out hoping he hadn't missed the bus that would be passing the corner any second now.



                                                                 -----



Justin lugged his backpack and the grocery bags into the elevator and rode up to the loft.  He hoped Brian wasn't home yet. He had got over being mad at the man for throwing his new car in his face.  He had bought groceries and was going to make dinner for Brian to show that there were no hard feelings.



He realized that Brian had every right to drive whatever kind of car he wanted.  He earned the money and he paid for Justin's tuition. He should be grateful to Brian, not jealous and angry because he had no money for a car of his own.  That wasn't Brian's problem.



He put his key in the lock and pulled back the door.



"Hey," he heard Brian say.



"Hey, yourself," Justin replied lugging in a couple of bags of groceries and setting them on the counter.



"Need some help?" Brian asked from the computer desk.



"Sure, if you don't mind."



Brian came over and picked up the remaining bags from the grocery store while Justin got his backpack and books.



"You have a lot of food here.  Planning a banquet?"



"No, I thought I'd make you a special dinner, but you're home early."



"I can wait.  I'm not very hungry."



"How come you're home so early?"



"You know the poster I got you to design for the Gay and Lesbian Centre carnival?  The cut I get from the take at the carnival will pay for the 'Vette. I finished all the plans early and came home.  When the gala is over this weekend I get the new car. We'll be able to shop for groceries in style."



"Sure," Justin replied trying not to feel slighted by Brian's enthusiasm for his car.  He wanted to tell the man that he would still be riding the bus and lugging all these bags home by himself, even after Brian got his new car.  It wasn't going to make a particle of difference to his life. Brian might take him out occasionally in the car, but he'd still be on the fucking bus every day.



Justin began taking everything out of the bags.  He did his best not to slam the door of the fridge as he put items in.  He wanted to scream. He couldn't believe how insensitive Brian was being.  He put a box of cereal in the cupboard and slammed that door.



"Hey, take it easy on the furnishings!" Brian called.



"Sorry," Justin said.  "I wish it was your head," he muttered under his breath.



He got out the frying pan to cook the sole and slapped it down forcefully on the stove.



"Is something wrong?" Brian asked, still planted at the computer.



"No, no, everything's just fine," Justin said through gritted teeth.



He started the rice and went back to the door to put his school stuff away.  He could see Brian sitting at the computer oblivious to the work that Justin was doing, and just as oblivious to what he had gone through getting all those groceries home.



By the time dinner was ready Justin was fuming internally.  He wanted to tell Brian to go fuck himself and maybe get a brain along the way, but he bit his tongue.



They sat down to a dinner of sole, rice and broccoli.  It wasn't anything fancy, but it tasted good and was a nice change from all the takeout they had had lately.



"That was nice," Brian said.  "I like it when you cook."



Justin softened a bit at the implied compliment.  That was about as much as he got out of Brian most of the time.  "Glad you liked it," he said.



"Here, I'll clear the table," Brian volunteered.  He began gathering the dishes. Justin watched. This was the Brian he loved.  Why couldn't he be considerate like this all the time?



Justin got up and went to retrieve his backpack.  He had a test on Monday and needed to do a bit of studying.  He heard Brian start the dishwasher. He really was a lucky guy.  Brian had his faults but he did so many things for him. Justin knew he shouldn't be feeling resentment over the car.  He tried to let it go.



"Do you have much schoolwork?" Brian asked.



"I have a test on Monday that I need to do some studying for.  I'll be done in about a half hour. That'll be enough for today."



"Okay," Brian said going back to the computer.



He called up the Corvette site that he had found.  They had pictures, information, local clubs and items for sale on this site.  He printed out a new picture of the 'Vette he was going to buy. He had found the one he left on the fridge in the garbage, and knew only too well why it was there.  He scanned through the items for sale and ordered a couple of things. It said next day delivery, so he had them sent to the office. By the time he had done all this Justin had closed the book he was reading.



"Finished?" Brian asked.



"Yeah, for tonight."



"Good," Brian said sliding next to him on the couch.  "I want you."



Justin smiled.  "So what else is new?"



"Are you tired of me already?"



"Never."



Brian kissed along Justin's jaw and across his sweet lips.  He inhaled the scent of his man, never getting enough. He raised Justin's T-shirt and the boy's arms went over his head to allow Brian to take it off.  He was always ready. Brian licked the naked chest giving special attention to each nipple. Justin sighed in satisfaction. Brian felt Justin unbutton his shirt and push it off his shoulders.  He allowed it to drop to the floor. He took Justin's hand and pulled him to his feet. He wanted this to be long and slow and the bed was the best place for that. They kissed again, undoing each other's pants.  Arm in arm they walked up to the bed each thinking about the best way they could pleasure the other.



A long while later they lay staring at the ceiling, well fucked and pleasantly tired.  Justin rolled onto his side and ran his palm over Brian's chest.



"Are you up for more?" Brian asked with a twisted grin.



"If you are!"



"I think I need some rest," Brian admitted.  This kid could wear him out like nobody else ever had.



"Getting old?"



"Not so's you'd notice."



"You'll always be beautiful to me," Justin said softly.



"And you are so perfect yourself."



"Thanks," Justin said sincerely, loving it when Brian complimented him.



"I think we need to talk about this car thing," Brian said suddenly.



"You want to gloat some more about your new sex machine?" Justin asked sarcastically, not wanting to hear any more about the fucking 'Vette.



"Sex machine?"



"Well isn't it a phallic symbol for middle aged men?" Justin asked being deliberately cruel.



"Who's middle aged?"



"You're getting there, old man!"



"I am not!"



"Is this one of those midlife crises where you get a sports car and a new haircut and a new wife?"



"God, I hope not!"



Justin had to giggle at Brian's reaction.  Then he became serious. "Look, Brian, I'm glad you're getting this car that you want so badly.  You deserve the best, but I'm really sick of hearing about it. Can we let it rest until you actually get it?  Then I'll let you gloat about it for a week. How's that?"



"What do you mean, gloat?"



"Just what I said."



"I'm not gloating.  I want to talk about it with you, but you keep telling me to shut up."



"Because I don't want to hear it."



"Fine!"



"Fine!"



They turned away from each other and stared at the opposite walls.



"Twat!" Brian thought.



"Asshole!" Justin thought.



It was going to be a long time before either one of them got to sleep.



                                                                 -----



The carnival that Brian had organized for the GLC was a whopping success.  They made tons of money and Brian's cut off the top would just about pay for the 'Vette.  Justin had somewhat reluctantly agreed to go to the carnival with Brian. He appreciated the money Brian had paid him for the poster and it had been kind of fun working together on the project.  He secretly wondered if he should have asked Brian for a lot more money for the poster, since the man was getting enough himself to pay for the new car.



Their relationship was still a little strained.  Justin refused to discuss anything about the new car.  Brian had tried to bring it up one more time, but had had his head bitten off.  He had decided at that point that he would say no more about it.



The items Brian had ordered from the Corvette website had arrived at his office yesterday and he planned to give one of them to Justin after the carnival.  He would pick up his new car tomorrow around noon. He could hardly wait to take it for a spin and see how it felt. He had test-driven it only once.



When they arrived back at the loft, Brian was in high spirits.  He had a check from the GLC in his hot little hand and he would endorse it over to the owner of the 'Vette when he picked it up Sunday at noon.  He yanked the door to the loft closed and grabbed Justin to kiss him. The boy responded as he usually did with complete acceptance and just the right amount of anticipation.



"I have a little present for you," Brian said.



"Oh?"



"Want to see?"


"Sure."



"I hope you like it."



"I'm sure I will.  Is it something you won at Butt-hole Bingo?"



"No."



"At the Dildo Ring Toss?"



"No," Brian snorted.  "It didn't come from the carnival."



"So what is it?"



"Come up here," Brian said grabbing Justin's hand and pulling him toward the bedroom.  He opened a drawer in the dresser and drew out what looked like a black T-shirt. "This is for you."



Justin stared at the T-shirt.  He could see a Corvette printed on the front.  "Fuck!" he blurted out before he could stop himself.



"What?' Brian asked.



"What is this for?"



"I thought we could wear them tomorrow when I pick up the new car."



"You did, did you?"



"Justin, for fuck's sake!  What's the matter with you?"



"You and this heap of metal that you're so keen to own is what's the matter with me!"



"Why?  I said you could ride in it and I'll maybe even let you drive it if you're a really good boy tonight," Brian said with a lascivious grin.



"Brian … go fuck yourself!  I'd suggest you use the car, but I don't think even you are a big enough asshole to take that up the ass."



Justin turned on his heel and headed for the door.



"Where the fuck are you going?" Brian called.



"Out!  Away from you!"



"Don't you fucking walk out on me!"



"Why not?  You do it all the time to me," Justin said pulling back the door.



Before he could get through the doorway Brian grabbed his arm and dragged him back inside.



"This has fucking gone far enough!" Brian shouted at him.



"You're right about that.  If you'll get out of my way, I'll be gone and then you won't have to deal with me and my petty concerns."



"I don't think your concerns are petty.  If you would listen for a minute and quit telling me that you don't want to hear about my new car, you might get a pleasant surprise."



"What are you babbling about now?"


Brian reached in his pocket.  "Shut up and listen!"



Justin opened his mouth to argue but the look on Brian's face made him think twice.



"I have been trying to tell you for days what is going to happen tomorrow when we pick up the new car."



Justin scrunched up his face at the reference to the Corvette.



"Don't say a fucking word!" Brian warned.  Justin shut his mouth tight. "You are coming with me in the morning to pick up the 'Vette.  Here's the keys to the Jeep. You can drive the Jeep home and I'll drive the new car."



"Glad I'm of some use to you!" Justin retorted, then bit his lip as Brian looked ready to explode.

"After we get home, I want you to come for a ride in my new car."



Justin grimaced at him, wanting to tell him where he could go.



"Then, we can go for a ride in your new car," Brian said staring at his lover.



"What?"



"I said we can go for a ride in your new car."



"What car?"



"If you will deign to do so, I thought you could keep the keys to the Jeep and it could be your transportation for school … and grocery shopping … and anything else you need to do.  I want you to have the Jeep."



"Brian?"


"You heard me."


"I can't believe it!  When did you decide to do this?"



"I was trying to tell you the first night that I mentioned the Corvette, but you kept telling me you didn't want to hear about my new car."



"Well, I didn't, but you could have told me about my new car."



"I tried, but then you pissed me off.  I thought I'd let you suffer a little first."



"Bastard!" Justin beamed at him.  He launched himself into Brian's arms.  "I love you. I love you. I love you!"



"Jesus, you are so materialistic!" Brian shook his head in mock despair.  "Look what a little thing like a car does to you."



"You are so dead!  You put me through hell."



"So does this mean you'll come with me in the morning and wear your new T-shirt?"



"That would be a yes!"



"Good!  Now I want to fuck you but good."



"I have a better idea.  I'm going to fuck you're butt, and you are so going to love it."



"Oh yeah?"



"Yeah!"



"Then let's get started.



They made their way to the bedroom shedding clothes as they went.  Several sessions later Brian's ass was ready for a rest and they both needed a little down time.  Brian spooned against Justin's back.



"Those leather seats in the 'Vette are going to be hard on my ass tomorrow," Brian observed.



"You'll survive," Justin giggled.



"Yeah, as long as I have you."  He kissed Justin's cheek.



"I'm sorry I didn't let you tell me about the Jeep.  I couldn't get past my resentment that you were getting your dream car and I had to ride the bus."



"I understand, I think."



"I can't believe you're giving me the Jeep.  More than that …" Justin started, then paused.



"More than what?" Brian asked.



"I guess I'm more amazed that you heard what I was saying and did something about it.  You really are a wonderful man."



"In your eyes."



"It would be in everybody's eyes if you ever let on what you do."



Brian made a face.  "I don't want thanks."



"I know you don't, but sometimes it's good to hear it."



Justin turned to look at Brian's eyes.  He thought he saw a little bit of appreciation there for the kind words he had just said.  God, he loved this man. He could feel his cock stiffen at the thought.



He started to get up from the bed.



"Where are you going?" Brian asked holding on to his hand.



"Close your eyes and I'll show you."



Brian dutifully closed his eyes, wondering what the little twat was up to now.  He could hear Justin rustling around, but didn't open his eyes.



After a moment or two Justin said, "Okay, open up."



Brian opened his eyes to see Justin's luscious bare bottom waggling over the edge of the bed at him.  He chuckled at the sight. "What the fuck are you doing?" he asked.



"I'm wearing my present.  I thought we could go get the "Vette" dressed like this.  The leather would feel so cool on our bare asses."



Brian chuckled again.



"The view from the other side is even better," Justin said turning around.  The T-shirt came just to the top of his erect penis which stood bold and proud, saluting Brian.



Brian laughed again.  "You have the best ideas!"  He reached up and began fondling the straining member.  "Get back into bed. We have lots to do before we go pick up that middle-aged phallic symbol in the morning."



"Symbols are very important in art," Justin said philosophically as Brian's mouth engulfed his cock.



"Shut up!" Brian said and got back to his delicious work.



Justin smiled in absolute bliss.  So much for insensitivity!

Chapter 21 - Anxious by Thyme

 

Anxious

Justin fidgeted in his seat.  The lecture had been going on for over an hour.  When would this guy be finished? He needed to get to his space and work on the big project that was due in three days.  He was stuck. He had no idea what he was going to do for the assignment, and it was a big one, worth forty percent of the semester's mark.



He had never really had artist's block before.  There had been times when he had been stuck for an idea, but that usually only lasted for a week or so.  Then something would come to him, and he would be off to the races. He had known about this assignment for over a month and still he had no idea what to do.



Maybe it was the topic.  He was supposed to depict "Anxiety" by whatever means or methods he could come up with.  He was rarely anxious anymore, so maybe the emotion was too unrelated to him.



He used to feel anxious about the bashing, about the possibility of meeting Chris Hobbs again, about being hit in the head all over again.  Those feelings had gradually disappeared, or he had pushed them so deep that they rarely surfaced.



He used to be anxious about money.  He remembered his ill-fated attempts at earning more money.  There had been his stint at Babylon as a dancer, and that awful party at the Sap's.  He had almost worked himself to death last summer, all for a few extra bucks. He was glad he wasn't doing that anymore.  He and Brian had come to an agreement about money and he could live with it until he actually was out in the workforce, no longer a student.



He used to be anxious about his father, about his rejection.  He still wanted, somewhere deep inside, for his father to accept him for who he was.  That was highly unlikely to happen, so he had put behind him whatever anxiety that had caused.



He used to be anxious about Brian.  Would he come home and find him fucking a trick on the couch, or worse, in their bed?  For a long time he had walked on eggshells around the man. He never wanted to upset Brian, afraid that he would be turfed out or scolded like a little kid.  Since he had come back from New York, their relationship had changed. He was more of an equal, and he spoke his mind. He knew Brian loved him, was faithful to him and would never hurt him, no matter what he said or how he stood up to him.



None of these seemed like the basis of a piece of artwork.  He sighed inwardly, wondering what the hell he was going to do.  The only thing making him anxious right now was this fucking assignment.



Justin realized people were standing up and starting to leave the lecture hall.  The boring ordeal was finally over. He had missed the last thirty minutes of it entirely, his mind engrossed in running through the list of anxiety-filled moments he had experienced.



He headed for his space wondering if anything would come to him.  He had no idea what he was going to do if it didn't.



Hours later Justin cleaned up his space and put the empty canvas away.  He was no further ahead than he had been after the lecture. He figured he might as well go home, as wander around his space, stare at the ceiling and get nothing accomplished.



He wearily pulled back the door to the loft.  He looked around. Brian wasn't there.



"He must be working late," Justin thought.



He decided to make them a nice dinner instead of having the usual takeout.  He looked in the fridge thinking that he had bought some chicken yesterday and then they had opted for takeout.  Both of them were too tired and too impatient to want to cook. He pulled out the chicken and looked to see what else he had to work with.  He found some veggies and knew there was pasta in the cupboard. He decided a nice pasta dish would hit the spot. A little comfort food always made things seem better.



He had everything bubbling away on the stove when he thought he heard the elevator come up to their floor.  The knock on the door surprised him. He had been sure that it was Brian. He quickly turned down the stove and went to the door.



"Michael?" he said with surprise as he opened the door.



"Hey Boy Wonder, is Brian here?"



"He's not home from work yet, but he should be here soon," Justin told him.



"Do you mind if I wait for him?  I need to talk to him."



"Sure.  Come on in.  Would you like a beer?"



"That would be great," Michael said plopping down on a barstool as Justin grabbed him a beer and stirred the pasta.



Michael took a swig of the beer and watched Justin cook.



"Would you like to stay for dinner?" Justin asked.



"Oh, I don't know.  I don't want to intrude."



"You wouldn't be intruding, and I'm making plenty.  You know Brian eats like a bird."



"That's true," Michael chuckled.  "Maybe we should incorporate something about that into Rage."



"Yeah," Justin said thinking.  "Maybe carbohydrates after seven turn him into a raving lunatic who fucks anything that moves."



They laughed.  "No," said Michael, "that's how he is without carbohydrates."



"Right.  I forgot."  They both broke into gales of laughter just as Brian opened the loft door.



"What's so funny, you two?" he asked.



"You had to be here," Michael said between snorts and gasps for breath.



"Yeah," Justin agreed wiping his eyes.



Brian came over and gave Michael a welcoming kiss.  "What brings you here," he asked, "other than the chance to laugh yourself silly at my expense?"  He glanced knowingly at Justin.



Justin and Michael looked at each other and broke out laughing once again.  Brian shook his head and went up to change his clothes.



"I asked Michael to stay for dinner," Justin called after him.



"Fine," Brian said rather testily.  "Where's the good professor this evening?"



"Working on his book at the library.  I guess I'm staying," Michael said shrugging his shoulders and looking towards Justin.



"Then set the table," Justin ordered.  "It's almost ready."



Michael set out the plates and cutlery.  Justin dished up some food. They all sat down when Brian came down the steps in his T-shirt and jeans.



"Smells good," Brian said to Justin and gave him a sweet kiss.



Michael watched their interaction and smiled to himself.  He couldn't remember when Brian had seemed so happy and content.  He had to give credit to Justin. He seemed to have tamed the wild one.



"So, Mikey, what brings you to our happy abode?" Brian asked his old friend.



"I wanted to ask you about some business dealings."



"Business?  Are you having trouble at the store?"



"Actually it's just the opposite.  I'm making a decent profit and of course Rage has helped.  I'm thinking of expanding."



"Wow, Michael, expanding!" Justin reacted.  "That's great."



Michael smiled at Justin.  They got along so much better these days.  "The store next door is closing and I could rent it and open up an entrance from my store.  It would almost double my space. Everything's so cramped in there right now. I could have more inventory and attract more customers."



"Do you think you would get enough new business to cover double the rent?" Brian asked sensibly.



"I think so," Michael said, "but I'm a little anxious about doing this so soon after opening the store.  I don't want to get in over my head."



Justin heard the word "anxious" and paid closer attention.



"You could definitely use the space," Brian said.  "I think you should start advertising in some of the local throwaway papers.  The cost of ads in them is cheap, but it would bring in new business. You could advertise as 'The Home of Rage' and all other superheroes," Brian suggested.



"That sounds great!" Michael enthused.  "Could I get some of your expertise to do that … cheap?"


"How about … free!  For old times sake."



"Brian, that would be wonderful."



"Anytime, Mikey," Brian replied.  "Dinner was great, Justin," Brian said pushing back from the table.



"If you two don't mind, I'm going to eat and run," Michael said.  "I want to make some measurements at the store and check a few things.  I want to move fast before somebody else rents the other store."


"Sure, Mikey, I'll see you later," Brian said as he walked to the door with Michael.



When Brian returned to help Justin clear the table, the boy stopped what he was doing and looked at his partner.



"What?" Brian asked.



"That was nice, offering to do the advertising for Michael."



"Thanks," said Brian without further explanation.



Justin grinned to himself.  "Michael may have helped me," Justin stated.



"Oh, how?"



"I have this big project that I have artist's block about.  Something he said sort of got me thinking in a different way about it."



"Why didn't you talk to me about it?" Brian asked.  "I've helped you before."



"I kept thinking I'd get an idea, but it's due in three days and I haven't even started."



"Justin!" Brian said in an accusatory tone.



Justin laughed out loud.  "If you had said "Young man" instead of "Justin" I would have sworn you were channeling my mother just then."



Brian made a face.  "So what is this assignment about?"



"Anxiety."



"And what's the problem?"



"I couldn't think of what really made me anxious anymore.  Since you're so sweet to me these days, I have no anxious moments."



"Yes you do," Brian stated mater-of-factly.



"What do you mean?"



"You were pretty anxious when you thought I was going to make you wear our rings."



"That's true," Justin admitted.  "When Michael talked about being anxious about the store I realized that he was afraid of failure, that failure causes a lot of people's anxiety.  I was afraid those rings would set us up for failure."



"You're right," Brian said thoughtfully.  "Anxiety about work, money, relationships, you know, separation anxiety."



"It's related to worry, about things we can't always control."



"There's also being anxious in a good way," Brian said.



"How?"



"I'm anxious to take you to bed and fuck your brains out."



"Now that is definitely a good type of anxious," Justin said with a grin.



Brian held out his hand.  "Come on. We can worry about the bad anxious later."



Brian leaned against Justin's back.  His dick was firmly planted up Justin's warm channel and he rocked into the boy.  Justin grunted his satisfaction and met each thrust with a counter thrust. Brian leaned his forehead against Justin's neck and took a deep breath.  He loved the smell of his lover. It always made him hard and he plowed deeper into the waiting hole. Justin moaned under the new onslaught.



Brian took another deep breath smelling citrus and cigarettes and sweat.  "Ready?" he asked feeling his balls draw up.



"Almost," Justin gasped.



Brian took another sniff of his delectable lover and felt the ripples course through him, and he was coming.  He felt Justin buck back and knew the boy was finding his release as well.



They lay on their backs waiting for their breath to even out.  Justin could feel his heart thumping in his chest. No wonder they said that sex was a good cardio-vascular workout.  He felt Brian run his hand along his hip. He opened his eyes and looked into the hazel ones he loved.



"That was great," Justin said.  "I'm so happy after we do that that I can't even think about anxiety.  You fuck it all out of me."



"That of course would be true, but you still have to get this project done."



Justin turned on his side and laid his hand on Brian's chest.  He could feel the man's heart pumping rapidly beneath it. He stopped what he had been about to say and thought.



"Brian, when we're anxious our hearts beat faster, don't they?"



"Yes, why?"



"I have an idea," Justin said.



"For your project?"



"Yes."



"Good."


                                                                -----



Two days later Brian had seen little of Justin.  He spent all his spare time in his space at the IFA.  He had finally gotten an idea for his project and had been working feverishly to get it done.  It had to be submitted tomorrow.



Brian had eaten take-out for dinner and had worked on the computer.  It was almost eleven o'clock and Justin was still not home. Brian wondered if he should call the boy, but he didn't want to interrupt him if he was making good progress on his assignment.



Suddenly the phone rang.  Brian picked it up and said, "Yeah."



"Brian," Justin's voice said.  "I finished it."



"Great!  Are you coming home now?  I'm anxious."



Justin chuckled.  "In a good way?"



"In a very good way, but I need your help."



"I want you to see my work.  Can you come pick me up and I'll show you?"



"Don't you have the Jeep?" Brian asked.



"Yes, but I want you to come over here."



"Will you make it worth my while?"



"Do you have to ask?"



Brian snorted.  Shit! He loved this boy.  "I'll be there in twenty minutes."



Brian slid the Corvette into a space near Justin's Jeep.  There were few other cars around this time of night. He walked up the steps and into the building that housed the working spaces for the art students.  He strode down the hall to the area where Justin worked. He could see light shining from Justin's cubicle.



"Hey," he said stepping through the opening and giving Justin a gentle kiss.  "So where's the masterpiece?" he asked looking around.



"Under that sheet," Justin said pointing to something covered with a gray cloth sitting on his easel.  It appeared to be quite large.



"You must have found lots of anxiety judging by the size of what's under there."



"Take a look," Justin said.



Brian lifted the edge of the sheet and pulled it carefully off.  He stared at the work underneath. It was a long piece of board cut in jagged peaks and valleys that looked like the readout on an EKG machine in a hospital.



"It looks like a heartbeat," Brian stated studying the green line that ran through the black paint covering the rest of the board.



"You got that right.  Remember when I asked you about anxiety causing your heart to beat faster?"



"Is this what you were thinking about?"



"Kind of.  It was the beginning of the idea.  Once I realized that I didn't have to stick to a rectangular piece of canvas, it took off from there."



"What's this?" Brian asked looking at the ends of the board.  There was one small male figure at one end and a large group of writhing, contorted figures at the other.



"What do you think it is?" Justin replied.



"It looks like a lonely man at this end isolated from the masses at the other."



"Phew!" Justin let out a breath.  "I remembered what we talked about with anxiety separation, being lonely, being afraid that a relationship would break up, being trapped in a crowd.  I was trying to get all that into it."



"So this single figure could be alone because he is ostracized or because he's lonely or because he chooses to leave the demands of the masses?  Interesting."



"I'm glad you think so."



"Do you realize that the masses are mostly made up of asses," Brian asked with a smirk.



"Briiiaaannn," Justin whined.  "Speaking of asses."



Justin moved close to Brian and his hand squeezed one of Brian's ass cheeks.



"Feeling frisky, little boy?" Brian asked with a grin.



"Nobody's around," Justin said moving to the door and shutting it.



"Why, Mr. Taylor, what are you suggesting?" Brian asked in his best imitation of a southern belle.



"I'll show you," Justin said huskily.  "Now that this albatross is off my back, I thought we could relieve a little built up … anxiety."



"I like the way you think, young man."  Brian gasped as he felt Justin's hand close around his dick.



Justin opened the buttons on Brian's jeans and inserted his hand.  He could feel the thick mass grow and harden under his fingers. He watched Brian's face, seeing the man shut his eyes and let out a long breath.  Justin continued to stroke as he shoved Brian's jeans down. His other hand then began opening the buttons on Brian's shirt.



"I want to fuck you," Justin said.



Brian opened his eyes and stared into Justin's blue ones.  He nodded slightly giving tacit approval to Justin's demand.  His own hands began undoing and stripping off Justin's clothes.  Soon they were both naked and Justin grabbed a couple of cushions he had on a stool and threw them on the floor.  They kissed hungrily dropping to their knees on the cushions.



Justin snaked around behind Brian and pushed the man forward so that his weight rested on his elbows and his ass stuck up in the air.  He kissed each cheek of Brian's ass and ran his hands over the smooth globes. He loved Brian's ass almost as much as Brian loved his. They were quite different, but both delicious in their own way.  Brian's was tight and firm and sleek. Justin's was round and firm and luscious.



Justin's tongue licked across Brian's pucker.  Brian's head went up and he pushed back toward the tongue wanting it inside.  Justin nipped around the hole and across the cheeks. He saw the spots redden and licked them with his cool tongue.  He felt more than heard Brian sigh. He smiled.



Suddenly Justin's tongue pushed in through the first ring of muscle.  "Aaahhh!" Brian groaned.



"Like that?" Justin asked already knowing the answer.  He pressed his tongue in again.



"Oh, God, yes!" Brian gasped.



Justin darted his tongue in and out.  Brian rocked back into each probe asking Justin to go deeper.  He felt Justin spit on his hole and felt fingers replace the tongue.  He groaned at the sensation. He heard a condom pack being ripped open and felt Justin position his cock at the spasming hole.



Justin pressed forward and Brian felt himself being filled with the hard thick cock.  Justin waited and Brian moaned, "More!"



Justin pressed the rest of the way in, loving the tightness he always found there, loving the way Brian asked for more, loving the feeling of unity it gave him with his man.  He leaned forward and kissed Brian's neck, he nipped and sucked at Brian's ear and Brian turned his head to get a kiss from Justin's soft lips.



"I love you," Brian said softly.  He saw Justin's sunshine smile for a fraction of a second before the boy began pounding into him.  He growled his approval and gave himself over to the sensations that Justin was creating.



The ride was long and deep and satisfying for them both.  When Brian felt his balls contract, Justin sensed it and began stroking Brian's cock in time with his thrusts.  They came almost at the same moment collapsing onto the tattered cushions as the spasms wracked their bodies.



Justin raised his head realizing that he had Brian pinned beneath him.  He rolled off and found his ass on the hard, cold concrete floor.



"Shit!" he said aloud.



"What?" Brian asked turning over.



"My ass is going to be frozen to this god-damn floor."



Brian sat up and grabbed Justin's wrist.  He pulled the boy over into his lap wrapping his arms around the slight frame and cradling Justin against his chest.



"Better?" Brian asked.



"Much better."



"I like your piece," Brian said nodding toward the work on the easel.



"But you like this piece better," Justin grinned placing Brian's hand on his ass.



"I love that piece," Brian conceded, "but seriously, I do like what you did with anxiety over there."



"Thanks," Justin said pleased that Brian thought his work was good.



Justin wiggled around on Brian's lap feeling the effect he was having on Brian's bare dick.  It was already hardening and lengthening.



"You know," Brian said, "it's almost six months since we've been … exclusive with each other."



"Yeah, I guess it is that long," Justin agreed knowing where he thought this was going.



"We should get tested again."



"And …"



"And then we could … forget about the condoms."



"You mean it?" Justin asked flashing his most radiant smile.



Brian nodded.



"You'd be all right with it if we did bareback, wouldn’t you?" Justin asked.



"I never thought I'd be in the situation where that would be a possibility, but now I am.  I think it's time."



"Oh, Brian!" Justin gushed, his eyes full of tears.  "We are so close now, but that would make us even closer.  I love you so much."



"I love you too, and I trust you.  You know that we have to be very sure before we do this, and if anything ever happens we have to be honest with the other one.  We can't risk infecting each other."



"I understand," Justin said.  "Let's get tested tomorrow."



"Okay," Brian grinned at him, "but right now my dick has other ideas."



"I can feel it," Justin grinned back.



"No more anxiety."



"Only love and trust," Justin stated, sealing their bargain with a long and sensuous kiss.

Chapter 22 - Open by Thyme

 

Open

Justin and Brian waited in the reception area of the clinic.  They had been tested a few days earlier and were to get the results today.  The wait seemed like forever, but it was really only about fifteen minutes. Finally the doctor on duty called them in.



"Everything was negative for both of you," he said matter-of-factly.



Brian and Justin looked at each other and grins broke out on both their faces.



The doctor watched them.  He knew who this dark haired man was, the infamous Brian Kinney.  His reputation was legendary around Liberty Avenue. He had heard that Kinney was involved with some young twink.  This must be him the doctor had surmised.



"Those grins tell me that you two are ready for a new step in your relationship," he said to them knowingly.



They turned their attention to him and nodded.



"I always recommend that you continue using condoms regardless of whether you are negative or not," he said seriously.



Brian and Justin looked at each other, not sure how to respond to that.



"But if you decide to do otherwise, you need to be completely honest with each other.  If you have an encounter with someone else, your partner needs to know immediately."



"We realize that," Brian said.  "We intend to be open about anything that happens."



Justin nodded in agreement.



"That's good," the doctor replied, "but be aware that most couples tell me exactly that, and when something happens, it's not so easy to reveal it to the other person."



"We'll take that under advisement," Brian said rather arrogantly.  He didn't appreciate this doctor, well meaning or not, trying to tell them how to run their relationship.  It was almost like he was predicting that they would fail, that one of them would cheat, or that they couldn't trust each other.



Brian stood up.  "Let's go, Justin," he said.



"Thanks, doctor," Justin said to the man and followed Brian out the door.



"Who does that fucker think he is?" Brian demanded as they passed through the waiting room.  Several heads turned to see what Brian was talking about in none too quiet terms. "Who died and made him God?"

"Brian," Justin said quietly, "it's part of his job to advise people and warn them about the consequences of their actions.  I'm sure he didn't mean anything by it."

"And I'm sure he knows who I am and is making the assumption that I will be fucking around behind your back," replied Brian through clenched teeth.  He gave the clinic door a hefty shove and stepped out into the fresh air.



"Why would you do that?" Justin asked.



"What?"  Brian was puzzled by Justin's reaction.



"I said why would you fuck around behind my back when you fucked in front of my face for so long."

Brian grimaced at that reminder.  "What are you saying?"



"I'm saying that if anyone is likely to cheat, it's me.  Look at what I did with Ethan."

Brian stopped walking and turned to his partner.  "I thought that was all behind us. We don't need to bring that up."

"I think we do.  I want you to be safe, as much as I think you want me to be, so we need to know where we stand."


Brian stared into Justin's eyes.  "I stand with you, right here, just the two of us."



"And so do I, but I never thought I could cheat on you, and yet I did.  We need to think this through really carefully and make sure this is what we want and what we can live up to."

"Let's go home," Brian said slowly.  He didn't like the way this was going.  They needed to discuss this in private.



They walked to the Corvette in silence, each thinking about how to prove their commitment to the other, and wondering if their love really was strong enough to take this step.  Brian drove them to the loft and neither knew what to say to the other. Finally they were home, and Justin pulled the loft door closed and locked it.



"That fucking doctor ruined what should have been a perfect day," Brian said slumping down on the couch.



"He didn't ruin anything, Brian," Justin admonished.  "We're the ones who have to make these decisions and for the right reasons."

"I know, for fuck's sake.  But why can't we just fuck and worry about this stuff later."

"We can," Justin said simply.



Brian stared at him.



"We can," Justin repeated.  "We're both negative and neither of us is screwing around, at least as far as I know.  So we can."

"Then let's do it," Brian said.



"And worry about the future in the future?"

Brian groaned.  "I don't want to worry about the fucking future at all!"


"Fine," Justin said.



"Well, that was romantic!  I'm hard already," Brian stated sarcastically.



"Why are we fighting?"

"Fuck if I know."

"Do you think we're scared to take this step?" Justin asked tentatively.  He knew he was … a little bit.



Justin saw a glimmer of something pass over Brian's face.  "Justin, come here," Brian ordered patting the sofa next to him.



"What?" Justin asked sitting down with one leg drawn up so that he was turned towards his partner.



"Do you remember that night you wanted to do it raw?"

"Yeah," Justin said.  "We had just found out about Ben being positive and I was sort of sad for him and Michael never to be able to do it unprotected."



"Do you remember what I told you?"

"Never to let anyone do that to me.  But that doesn't include you, does it?"

"What else did I say?" Brian asked ignoring Justin's question.



"That you wanted me safe.  That you wanted me around for a long time.  That was one of the nicest things you ever said to me," Justin stated with a wistful look on his face.



"And then later we were apart.  You had been with Ethan and me at the same time."



"Fuck Brian, I was careful.  I wouldn't do anything to put you in danger."



"But the possibility is always there.  Even with a condom there are dangers. It could break.  Who knows?"

Justin shook his head.  "If you're trying to say you don't want to do this, then just say so.  This discussion is depressing."

"I want to do it, but you thought we should look at all the ramifications, so that's what we're doing."

"It certainly isn't putting me in the mood to do anything."

"Me either, but let's get this all out right now."

"Why?  What else is there?"

"You mentioned Ben.  I was with Ben at the White Party in Miami when he must have been HIV positive, but he probably didn't know it at that point.  He was in a relationship with Paul who had already infected him. You know that Ben is an upfront kind of guy. I bet he thought Paul was too.  And I bet Paul never thought he was poisoning Ben, but he did."

"Christ Brian, it sounds like we're committing suicide every time we even think about doing it raw."

"In a way we are, if we're not really secure and honest with each other."

"Oh."  Justin didn't expect that answer.



"When we got back together we went through a long period of building trust in each other.  It had been severely damaged," Brian said.



"By me," Justin admitted with a grimace.



"I'm not laying blame, Justin.  I was as much at fault as you were in many ways.  I just couldn't talk about feelings or admit that I loved you then.  I just … couldn't."

"I know."


"Anyway this is going to be our ultimate test of the trust we have in each other."

"Yeah, I guess it is," Justin had to agree.  "Can we have dinner?"



"Fuck, Justin, we're talking about our lives and our commitment and you want to eat?"

Justin looked sheepish.  "When I get anxious or worried I want to eat.  Hell, I always want to eat."

"Order something," Brian said shaking his head in dismay.



Brian was on the computer and Justin was sketching when their dinner arrived.  They had hardly spoken to each other since Justin ordered take-out. Neither knew exactly what to say.  They were afraid of making the other one angry. Everything was so unsettled.



Justin dished them up a couple of plates of the Thai food and carried them over to the sofa.  "Want a glass of wine?" Justin asked.



Brian nodded and got up from the computer.  "I'll get them," he said heading to the kitchen.



Justin sat down and began picking at his food.  He wasn't as hungry as he had thought. They should be in bed fucking bareback instead of quarreling and feeling uncertain about where they stood.



Brian handed Justin a glass of wine and sat down beside him.  He let out a sigh as he picked up his plate. "This isn't exactly how I envisioned this day going," Brian said philosophically.



"Me either."

Brian took a bite of his food and chewed slowly.  "Are we ready?"

"I thought we were."



"So did I.  How did we get sidetracked?"

"Self doubt?"



"Maybe."

"I love you, you know," Justin said softly, looking into Brian's eyes.


"And I love you."

Justin beamed that trademark smile.  "Then what are we worrying about? All the trouble before came from the fact that you wouldn't or couldn't tell me how you felt … that you love me."

"And now I can.  Now I do." Brian stared into those clear, beautiful eyes.



"I think I'm ready," Justin stated with a gleam in his eye.



"What about your dinner?" Brian asked with a smirk.  "I thought you were always hungry."

"Some things are more important."

Plates clattered onto the coffee table, chopsticks landing anywhere, and suddenly they were in each others arms.  Justin raked his fingers through Brian's hair, pulling and then pressing their faces together. He heard Brian growl from somewhere deep inside.  Then their tongues were in each other's mouth. Their hands were all over each other's body. Their legs wrapped around each other as Justin pushed Brian down against the cushions of the sofa.  Justin could feel his suddenly erect cock rub against Brian's matching one. They both groaned and humped each other.



Finally the kiss ended and they both lay panting on top of each other uncertain where one began and the other ended.  Lust filled eyes stared at each other.



"Bed!" Justin ordered.



Somehow they were able to find enough strength in their legs to carry them to the side of the bed.  They had managed to get rid of their shirts on the way to the bedroom. Brian pulled Justin against him, their bare chests heaving as they kissed again.  Their hands clasped at the nape of each other's neck pressing them impossibly closer. Their lips chewed at each other wanting to devour. Their tongues dueled wanting supremacy.  Their breath came in gasps and pants as they struggled not to break the connection.



"Jesus, Brian, I need a breath," Justin finally gasped.



Brian released him almost imperceptibly, but it was enough that he could gulp some air, before the man was on him again.  They wrestled around grabbing naked flesh, tugging at hair till it hurt, scratching and clawing at each other in their need.



Justin felt Brian's hand go to his cock.  The man squeezed and Justin jumped unprepared for that.  He pushed back from Brian and looked into his eyes. His hand reached for the buttons on Brian's jeans.  He could tell by the bulge there that Brian was hard and ready.



He slid the jeans down over Brian's hips and his cock sprang free.  It was red and almost menacing in its fullness and rock hardness as Justin's hand engulfed it.  He heard Brian moan at his touch.



Brian shoved Justin's pants to the floor and looked at his lover's wonderful body as the boy stepped out of the last of his clothes.  He had to touch him. Brian's hand snaked around Justin's waist and pulled the slim body into his arms. He kissed the swollen lips again tasting Justin's mouth and the slight ginger flavor from the Thai food.  His hand wandered down to that luscious ass that he would soon be plowing. It cupped one cheek and pressed Justin's hard-on against his own. They both groaned.



Brian gave Justin a gentle shove and the boy toppled onto the bed.  Brian spread himself over top of the boy and rotated his hips rubbing his aching cock across Justin's equally hard one.



His hands came up on each side of Justin's face and he held Justin still as he stared into those blue eyes.  It was a question for the boy, asking permission to continue, and it was a statement to the boy that this meant they were united as one and there would be no going back.  Justin smiled at him answering and stating his own commitment to what was about to happen. Brian kissed him tenderly and gently, slowing everything down from the frenzy of the primal need they had both been experiencing before.



"I … love … you, Justin Taylor," Brian stated slowly and emphatically.



"I love you, Brian Kinney," Justin replied with a little choke in his voice.



Brian kissed him again and reached over for the lube.  "Face to face?" Brian asked.



Justin nodded and smiled at him.  "Just like the first time."



Brian squirted some lube in Justin's hole.



"Cold," the boy said.



"It'll heat up," Brian replied, using their patented words from that first night together.



Brian's fingers worked into the boy, scissoring in and out.  Justin gasped at the intrusion, but he was soon ready. He took the lube from Brian and squirted some in his hand.  He slowly ran his hand up and down Brian's rod stroking it to fullness as he did.



"Cold," Brian said with a smirk.



"It'll heat up," Justin promised with a grin.



"Ready?"



"Willing and able," Justin said in reply.



He felt Brian's cock press against his hole and the mushroom head slipped in.  Brian stopped and they both savored this new sensation. Somehow it felt warmer and tighter and better.  Brian leaned in and pressing in a little farther he kissed Justin long and slow.



He felt the boy squirm beneath him and knew he wanted more.  He grabbed Justin's hands and splayed them out above the boy's head.  His fingers laced through Justin's in that intimate contact that had come to mean so much to them.  His cock pressed harder and was almost all the way in when Justin bucked up impaling him fully.



"Impatient little cuss, aren't you?" Brian said.



"I don't know how long I'm going to be able to last," Justin gasped.  "This feels fucking fantastic!"



Brian drew back till only the head of his cock remained inside and then thrust forward.  They both gasped at the smooth and sensitive penetration. It was like they could feel every inch of each other, open and free and wonderful.  Brian drew back and thrust in once more. Gradually he found his rhythm and they bucked against each other relishing the sensations that seemed so heightened, unlike anything either of them had ever felt before.



Brian thrust deep and hard and stopped.  "I don't want this to ever end," he whispered by Justin's ear, "but I can't last much longer."



"I know," Justin said a little sadly.  He didn't want it to be over either, but he had felt the first tinglings of his own orgasm.



"I love you," Brian breathed by his ear, and began pounding against him.



He felt Brian's fist tug on his cock and he was lost at the touch.  "Ahhh!" Justin gasped as he felt cum shoot out of his slit and coat his chest, some landing all the way up on his chin, the explosion was so intense.



Brian felt Justin shoot and the boy's anus contracted tighter around his dick trying to force him out.  The contraction sent Brian over the edge and his cum shot up Justin's warm channel farther than either of them could believe.  Justin gasped at the warm fluid he could feel bursting inside him. This was Brian, his essence, his symbol of the love they shared.  Brian gasped at almost the same time, as he felt his cum shoot free, not trapped inside a condom. It was warm and some slid back over his dick coating it.  He slumped against the boy nestling his face against Justin's neck, fighting back the emotions that swamped him.



He felt Justin's arms go around his back holding him close, not letting him slip out.



"Stay," the boy whispered.  "As long as you can."



Brian stayed still, feeling shaken and confused and wonderful and … open.  He had never experienced anything like this. Now he understood why people barebacked and risked their lives for this feeling.  All these years he had missed this. But … it would never have happened without Justin. He would never have done this with anyone else.  He would never trust anyone else the way he did Justin. He knew why he had waited. He had been waiting his whole life for this man, and they had finally found each other and made this ultimate pledge of love and trust one to the other.



Finally Brian lifted his head and rolled off his lover onto his back.  He heard Justin moan at the loss as his cock slipped out and left the boy open and empty except for the cum that trickled from the spasming hole.  Brian looked down at his dick coated with cum and marveled at what they had just done.



"Are you all right?" Justin asked.



Brian nodded.  "You?"



"Just fine," Justin purred rolling against Brian's side.  "That was … unbelievable."

"Yeah.  I never knew what it would be like," Brian said.  He grabbed some tissues and cleaned them both up.



Justin could tell their first time bareback had really affected Brian.  "Did it feel different … from your end?"



"I could say something rude about ends, but I won't," Brian replied tossing the tissues in the wastebasket and turning to face Justin.  "It was great. I understand now why people want to do it. You know I've read about men who suck the cum out of their lover's ass with a straw."



Justin made a face.  "You don't want to do that, do you?"



"No, I don't.  I'm not into kink.  How was it from … your end?" he asked with a smirk.



"My end is just fine, thank you.  It felt so different from when we use a condom.  I felt so close to you. It meant … a lot," Justin ended, finding it hard to express the depth of his feelings for Brian and the intense bond that he had felt with the man.



A wicked look passed across Justin's face.



"What?" Brian asked not at all sure he wanted to hear the answer to that, if the look on Justin's face gave any indication of what was to come.



"I was just thinking …" Justin let his words hang in the air.



"What?"

"Turn about is fair play."

"Meaning?" Brian asked knowing exactly what Justin meant.



"Can I?"



"You really want to, don't you?"



Justin nodded.



"We seem to be on a day of firsts here, so … okay."



Justin beamed at him.  "I want to feel what you felt, and you can feel what it was like for me."



"You don't have to convince me," Brian said testily.  "I said yes."

"Will this really be the first time … like this?"

Brian nodded.



Justin kissed him softly.  "I can't believe that I actually get to be your first … something."

Brian looked at him, and decided to say it.  "You're my first a lot of things." Justin looked at him quizzically.  "You're my first bareback. You're my first partner in the true sense of that word.  You're the first and only one who has really shared my life, my bed, and my future. You're my first … everything."

"Oh Brian," Justin whispered.  He could feel the tears welling up and could do nothing to stop them.



"Don't cry," Brian pleaded trying to wipe away the errant droplets.



"Do you have any idea how much it means to me to hear you say that?" Justin asked.



Brian stared at him wondering why it had taken so long for him to admit these things to Justin.  He knew that Justin had been special to him right from that first night, but he had been so afraid to tell him, always thinking the boy would figure out what a miserable fuck he really was and leave him.  He had always felt unworthy of anyone's love. Nobody else had really loved him, not in the way Justin did. Michael and Lindsay and Deb and Vic had loved him in their own way, but Justin was so blatant about it, so sure that Brian was what he wanted.  Eamonn had said all the right words, but he hadn't meant it when push came to shove. He had been so afraid that Justin would turn out to be another Eamonn. That was why he was so reluctant to bare his soul to this beautiful boy, fully expecting rejection somewhere down the line.  And it had come, or more truthfully he had forced it by refusing to tell Justin what he meant to him. But even when Justin had gone to Ethan they had both known that they weren't finished.



"You always were a sucker for sweet words," Brian whispered to cover some of what he was feeling.  He didn't want Justin to know just how big a schmuck he really was.



Justin pushed back from him.  "Don't say that, Brian." he said with a worried look on his face.  "Those aren't just words, are they? You do mean them."

"Of course I do, Sunshine, or I wouldn't have said them," Brian admitted, immediately sorry for worrying his lover.



Justin's smile returned.  He slid his hand down Brian's taut torso and grasped his cock.  He felt it jump in his hand. He loved the way he could always get to Brian.  "I'm ready if you are," he said in his most suggestive voice.



"Always … for you."

Justin grinned.  Christ, he loved this man.  He wished they could always be so free and open about their feelings and about saying them out loud.  "Can we do it face to face again?" Justin asked. "I want to see your face while I'm inside you … raw."

Brian nodded.  Usually when Justin topped him, they did it doggie style.  It just seemed easier for both of them somehow, but Brian understood what Justin wanted.  He had wanted the same thing, to see Justin's reaction to doing it raw. He wanted to please Justin, and he knew this was part of the new experience for the boy.  He felt Justin gently push him onto his stomach.



"What are you doing?  I thought you wanted to do it face to face," Brian protested.



"I'm going to do something else first," Justin declared.  "And you're going to love it!"



"Am I now?" Brian asked with a grin.  "Does it involve a tongue?"

"Oh yeah!"



"Ummm," Brian responded sensing that he was going to enjoy the preliminaries almost as much as the main act.



Brian rolled over onto his stomach and Justin pulled a pillow down and shoved it underneath his hips.  His butt stuck up temptingly and he heard Justin groan.



"Easy young fella," Brian said with a grin in his voice.  "We've got all night."

He felt Justin's hands caress his back, running over the taut muscles and feeling the bones of his spine.  Justin leaned in and kissed Brian's neck, nuzzling and sniffing the wonderful scent that was Brian. He felt Justin reposition himself between his legs.  The boy's soft hands squeezed his cheeks and then spread them apart for a better view of his pucker. Justin reached under him groping for his balls, rolling them in his hand.  Brian groaned. The boy slid the side of his hand along the perineum and through the crack of Brian's ass. As it passed over Brian's hole he felt the man shiver and saw his hole wink at him.



He leaned against Brian, nibbling on his neck and licking the love bites.  His tongue began sliding down Brian's back over each vertebra in his spine until it reached its goal.  The tongue licked across the pucker but didn't enter. He almost thought he heard Brian whimper, but he didn't let on.  He licked farther down crouching until he could get his mouth far enough under to suck on Brian's balls. Then the man did whimper and moan.



Justin felt his own erection straining and decided he needed to move things along.  He sat up on his knees and plunged his tongue into Brian's pucker. He heard the man growl and arch up.  He locked his tongue in a rigid position and renewed his work plunging in again and again until Brian was moaning and writhing beneath him.  He grabbed the lube and squirted some on his fingers using them to open Brian even further.



"Turn over," he ordered sitting back and greasing his own cock with the lube.



Brian shifted and looked up at him.  Justin saw the slightest trace of fear on his face and then it was gone.



"I love you and I'll be gentle," Justin said with a smile.



Brian made a face at him, but spread his legs wide giving Justin more access.



Justin held out his hands and Brian took them, again lacing their fingers together.  They kissed long and tenderly. When Justin again looked in Brian's eyes, the man nodded and Justin positioned his cock at the hole.  He pushed in and felt Brian grimace. He was always so tight. He waited until he felt Brian relax and pressed in further. Brian opened his eyes and Justin plunged in the rest of the way.  He couldn't believe they were doing this. He couldn't believe he was doing this. He couldn't believe he was inside Brian without a condom. Now he understood what Brian had meant about this feeling so different.  Brian's channel was hot and wet around his cock. It felt like heaven.



He stared into Brian's face seeing the look of wonder there.  He wondered if he had looked like that when Brian had entered him.  He wondered if his face looked like that now, because that was how he felt.



He began thrusting with abandon knowing this felt too good to last very long. He felt Brian meet each thrust and he leaned in for a kiss.  He could feel Brian's hard, leaking cock trapped between their groins. He reached for it and tugged in time with his thrusts. He was rapidly losing control.



"Brian," he gasped feeling his imminent orgasm.



"Now!" Brian yelled and he was coming in Justin's fist, the silvery threads of cum shooting from his slit.  Justin followed immediately, his orgasm shooting unchecked inside Brian. Brian felt the warmth and wetness penetrate to his very being.



"Justin," he moaned, "oh, my God, Justin."

Justin lay atop his lover sucking in air and trying to get a handle on what had just happened.  He knew he had never experienced anything like that before, but he hoped he would again and again.



Justin felt Brian shift slightly and raised his head.  His mouth was immediately captured by Brian's. The man's arms wrapped around him and clutched him tightly against his body.



"I love … you," Brian managed to get out.



"That was spectacular!" Justin felt compelled to say.  "Can we do it again?"

Brian grimaced.  His usual response was, "Jesus Christ, Justin, give me thirty seconds."  Instead he merely nodded his head in agreement. Justin smiled that blinding smile in response.



They rolled apart and Justin grabbed some tissues to clean them up.  That done they snuggled against each other feeling closer than they ever had.  Neither spoke for a long time.



Finally Justin said, "Do you suppose this is what they mean by basking in the afterglow?"

Brian did not reply.  Justin turned his head to look at his lover.  The man stared at the ceiling apparently a million miles away.  Justin frowned and gently poked Brian in the ribs. Brian's eyes blinked and turned to look at him in surprise.



"Where were you?" Justin asked gently.



"I …," Brian began but didn't finish.



"Brian?" Justin asked beginning to worry that something was really wrong.  "What's going on?"

Brian tried to come up with a good story, but he couldn't think of anything to explain his somewhat strange behavior, except maybe the truth.  "In for a penny, in for a pound," he whispered more to himself than to Justin. "I was wondering why it took me so long to do that," Brian said slowly trying to keep his voice steady.



"You mean … bareback?"



Brian nodded.  "It felt so good.  I've always heard how fantastic it was, but I never allowed myself to try it.  I was trying to figure out why not. God knows I've done enough other crazy and risky things to myself over the years."



"So did you come up with an answer?" Justin asked.



"Yes."


"Well, are you going to tell me?"



Brian stared into Justin's eyes.  "You."

"Me?"

"I never had anyone who cared about me the way you do.  I had to look out for myself and I had that down to a fine art.  Nobody got through my barriers. I had everything in neat little lock boxes that nobody could break into.  Then you came along and blew them all to hell. You love me and look after me and I don't have to do it all by myself anymore."

Justin felt tears well up in his eyes.  He was proud that Brian felt that way about him, but he was so sad that Brian had been compelled to live so much of his life blocking out others and existing alone.



"You mean so much to me, Justin," Brian said.



"And you mean the world to me.  We've gone to a new level tonight," Justin stated.



"And I think we'll be fine as long as we're open and honest with each other."



"I know we'll be fine," Justin said stressing the word 'know'.  "I don't have a doubt in the world."

Brian pulled Justin into a warm hug, loving the feel of the boy's body against his.  It was warm and safe and giving. He glanced over Justin's shoulder to the dresser where their rings hung side by side in Justin's sculpture.  He smiled.

Chapter 23 - Why by Thyme

 

Why

"Dada."



"Yes, Gus."  Brian held his son's hand as they walked down Liberty Avenue towards the diner.



"Why is the sky blue?"



Brian groaned inwardly.  How did he explain something like that to a three year old?  He wasn't even sure how it worked himself. "It just is," Brian said hoping that would satisfy the little boy who was fully into his "why" stage.



"Why?"



"Would you rather it was pink or yellow or black?" Brian said rather testily not liking the feeling of incompetence that Gus could sometimes inspire in him.



"Pink is pretty," Gus said thoughtfully.



"A queer in the making," Brian thought.



"Yellow is good."



"Little mister sunshine!" Brian thought and smiled when it made him also think of Justin.



"Black is bad," Gus said seriously.



"Why?" Brian parroted his son.



"Funder and lightning," Gus replied, still having some trouble with the "th" sound occasionally.



"Black makes you think of storms?"  Gus nodded. "Are you afraid of thunder and lightning, Gus?"

"Sometimes," the little boy admitted.



"Don't be, Sonny Boy.  It's just the thunder man playing a game with a big ball.  He rolls it into the clouds and when it hits something you get that loud noise and then there are sparks which we see as lightning."



"Are you sure?" Gus asked.



That was what Brian's grandmother had told him a long time ago when he had been frightened during a thunderstorm.  "I think so. And when he's through playing we get a rainbow," Brian added.



"I like rainbows," Gus said with a smile.



"Me too."

Gus smiled at him.  "But why is the sky blue?"



Thankfully they had been walking as they were talking and they had arrived at the diner.  Maybe Justin could answer Gus' question. Brian pushed open the door and they went in.



"Hey, partner," Justin greeted Gus as soon as he saw him.  He picked up the little boy and gave him a kiss. "And how is my other partner?" Justin asked giving Brian a sweet little kiss too.



"Your partner is tired of answering 'why'."



"Oh," said Justin with a chuckle.  "Which 'why' question is it today?"

"Why is the sky blue?" Brian replied.



"That's an easy one," Justin said.  Brian gave him a look. "It's God's favorite color, so he spread it all over us.  It's so beautiful."


Gus grinned from ear to ear.  He loved that explanation. "I love you, Justin," he said kissing the young man again.



Brian scowled.  "What a stupid answer to a stupid question," he thought.



"Little Gus, come give me a hug," Debbie called and Gus squiggled down and ran over to her for a kiss and a hug.



"Since when do you believe in God?" Brian demanded of Justin.



"I don't … in the traditional sense, but Gus does, and it makes him happy to think that God makes all these decisions."



"I suppose," Brian said wondering why things always seemed to be so much easier for other people, especially if they were willing to spread bullshit.



Justin took his break and sat with Brian and Gus in a back booth.  They shared a plate of fries with Justin eating most of them, Gus a few and Brian only one or two.



"Dada," Gus began.



"Yes, Gus."  Brian knew he was going to hate this.



"Why is ketchup red?"



"Aha," Brian thought, "finally one I can answer."  He smiled at his son. "Because tomatoes are red." It was so obvious.



"So?" Gus asked giving him a quizzical look.



"Ketchup is made from tomatoes."



"Oh," Gus said.  "Then why does mommy have purple ketchup at home?"

"Fuck," Brian thought.  He wracked his brain for a plausible explanation.  He decided to take a leaf out of Justin's book. "Because God wanted the world to be colorful so he made some purple tomatoes too."  That was the best he could do on short notice.



"Brian," Justin said in a warning tone.



"What?  You told him almost the same thing about the sky."

Justin gave him a little smirk.  "Just wait."

"Dada, can I have a purple tomato?"

Brian groaned.  Fuck! Nothing ever went easily for him.  "I don't think so, Gus," he said.



"Why?"



"Shit," Brian grumbled.  "You just can't. Eat your fries."

Gus looked like he was ready to cry.  Justin decided to rescue Brian from the trauma of a crying little boy.



"Gus," Justin said getting the boy to focus on him.  "You know how many times you see red ketchup?" Gus nodded, tears glistening in his eyes.  "But you don't very often get purple ketchup, right?" Again Gus nodded. "That's because purple tomatoes are quite rare and they all go to make purple ketchup.  You can't buy them in the store."

"Oh," Gus said, the tears receding.  "Can I have ice cream?"

"Deb, one sundae with sprinkles over here," Justin called.



Gus finished his last fry and sat waiting for his sundae, a contented smile on his face.  Justin looked at Brian who glowered back at him.



"Remind me to kill you when we get home," Brian said.



Justin giggled.  He loved to be able to do stuff that Brian couldn't.  It didn't happen very often because Brian was so good at everything he did.  However, he did enjoy moments like this. Brian would probably make his ass pay later on, but that wasn't a bad thing.



When Gus had finished gobbling down his ice cream, Brian stood up to leave.  "We need to go, Gus," Brian said.



"Why?"



Justin giggled, and then stopped abruptly when Brian gave him a murderous look.



"Because, Sonny Boy, your mothers will have my nuts in a vise if I don't get you home by four."

"Okay," Gus said understanding that what his mothers said was to be obeyed.



Brian walked out of the diner, Gus' little hand firmly in his.  They would walk back to the loft, get Gus' stuff and he would drive them back to the Munchers'.  They walked along in silence, Gus taking many steps to one of Brian's, his little legs working overtime.



"Dada," Gus said.



"What?" Brian asked expecting another 'why' question.



"Tired.  Carry me."

Brian realized he had been moving along at a good clip, lost in his own thoughts.  "Okay, Sonny Boy. Have I been walking you too fast?"

Gus nodded.  Brian scooped him up and the little boy wrapped his arms around his father's neck.  He rested his head against Brian's shoulder and throat. Brian felt a rush of emotion.  He thought there could be no better feeling in the world than the love and trust of this little boy.  Except maybe for the love and trust of Justin, but that was very different, and yet the same in some weird way.  He smiled to himself. He glanced down at Gus to find a pair of eyes that matched his own staring back at him. Then Gus looked down at the sidewalk, and then back at his father.



"Dada."

"Yes, Gus."

"Why does the sidewalk have wrinkles?"

"Wrinkles?"  Gus nodded. "What do you mean it has wrinkles?"

"See. There," Gus said pointing to a big crack as they passed over it.



"Those are cracks in the pavement, Gus," Brian explained.



"Why do you have cracks in your face?"

"Cracks?"

"When you smile."



"I do not have cracks in my face!"


"Right there," Gus continued pointing to the corner of Brian's eyes.



Brian wanted to scream, throw something, put Gus down and walk away, kill himself.  How could his three year old son be telling him that he had 'cracks', that he was old?  He gritted his teeth and his mouth became a narrow slit across his face. Brian stomped on down the street, perhaps grasping his son a little tighter than he should.  He felt Gus pushing away from him trying to get some breathing room. He strode on in silence, his anger boiling inside.



"Dada," Gus said.



"What?" Brian barked at him.



"Smile."

"No."

"Please," Gus begged.



"No, I'll just get more cracks."

"I like your cracks."

"You do?"

Gus nodded.  "Make your face pretty.  I can kiss it."

Brian stopped walking.  He could feel his face relaxing.  "You like cracks? Why?"



"Then you are happy and I can kiss you."



"Is that right?" Brian mused, more to himself than to Gus.  He felt Gus nodding in agreement. "So you like to see my cracks because you know I'm happy when they're there?"  Gus nodded again, wondering why his father found this so hard to comprehend. "Then you can kiss me, like this!"



Brian kissed Gus' cheek and then blew a big raspberry in the same spot.  Gus giggled and grabbed onto Brian's neck burying his face in his father's shoulder.  When Gus looked up he got another raspberry as his reward. Gus giggled with pure joy.  Brian's face broke out in the biggest smile of the day. Gus looked up wondering if he was going to get another raspberry.



"Cracks," he said pointing to Brian's eyes.  "I like cracks," he repeated.



Brian gave him another raspberry eliciting another round of giggling.  Maybe cracks weren't so bad after all. He might be able to get used to them if this was what they meant.  Brian walked on, Gus staring at his face and putting his finger on the cracks around Brian's eyes as the man continued to smile.



"Love you, Dada.



"Love you too, Sonny Boy," Brian replied, and he truly did.



                                                            -----



Hours later Justin came home from his shift at the diner.  He was pooped. It had been a very hectic day, nearly double the amount of regular customers.  He didn't know how Debbie did it. She was eons older than him, yet she was still at the diner, working for two more hours before she was finished for the day.



"Hey," Justin said as he came through the door.



Brian sat on the sofa watching TV, the sound so low it was barely audible.  "Hey," Brian replied and smiled at his partner.



"What are you smiling at?" Justin asked loving that look on Brian's handsome face.



"You," Brian replied.



"What brought this on?"



"Just felt like it."

"Why?" Justin pursued.



"Jesus, you sound like Gus.  Enough questions!"



"Sorry," Justin said losing his own smile.  "I'm going to take a shower. I smell like French fries and I ache all over."

"Getting old?" Brian teased.



"Never as old as you," Justin retorted and then was immediately sorry for saying that.  He knew references to aging really ticked Brian off.



Brian laughed.  Justin stared at him.  Brian was laughing about his age.  What had happened to cause this weird turn of events?



"Go get your shower," Brian said.  "I have a surprise for you when you come out."

"You do?"


"That's what I said."

"What surprise?  What's going on?"

"Get your fucking shower and then I'll show you!" Brian ordered, sick to death of questions.



Justin knew better than to argue with that tone of voice.  Besides he didn't want to make Brian angry when he said he had a surprise for him.  It sounded like something good.



It only took Justin about five minutes to shower and towel off.  He hurried as much as he could because he wanted his surprise. He also wanted to eliminate the smells of the diner, because Brian's surprises usually involved sex and he wanted to smell good for his man.  When he stepped out of the bathroom, Brian was seated naked on the bed.



"Yum, I like my surprise already."



"This isn't the surprise," Brian chuckled.



"Oh?"



"Lose the towel and lie down on your stomach."

Justin grinned.  Rimming! He loved Brian to rim him.  Happily he dropped the towel and slid onto the bed.  He knew his ass would look particularly tempting, all hot and pink from the shower.  He heard a pop like the top of the lube. Fuck! He wanted at least a good rimming before they fucked.  He sighed, disappointed, and buried his face in the pillow.



He heard Brian rubbing his hands together warming the lube.  "At least he's heating it up a bit before he rams into me," Justin thought.  He waited for the onslaught.



Suddenly he felt Brian's long fingers kneading the muscles in his shoulders.  A huge sigh escaped from his lips. A massage! This was almost as good as rimming.  In fact, at the moment, it was better than rimming.



Justin sighed again as Brian's hands moved down his spine, his thumbs pressing against each vertebra and releasing the tension there.  Brian's hands swept to the sides of Justin's body. They rubbed up and down, pulling and pushing just hard enough. Another sigh of contentment escaped the boy.  Brian kneaded his ass, squeezing and pressing. Justin could feel his cock stiffen in anticipation. He just knew where Brian's fingers were going to go next.



He heard the pop of the tube again and assumed that Brian was now getting the lube to work on his pucker.  That was fine with him. He had enjoyed the massage.



Suddenly Brian's hands were all over his left leg, squeezing and rubbing and easing away all the hours that he had stood at the diner.  It felt so good. Another huge sigh escaped. He knew Brian would be smiling and that made him smile. Brian then turned his attention to the other leg working his magic there as well.  Justin felt like a king. There couldn't possibly be anything better than what was happening to him right now, and he knew a good fucking would follow.



Justin heard the pop of the tube again and waited for Brian's fingers at his hole.  He felt his left foot being raised off the bed and he wondered what Brian was doing.  Brian's knuckles slid along the sole of Justin's foot putting pressure all the way along its length.  Then Brian kneaded the ball of his foot working each movement out to the side of the foot and taking with it all the aches that Justin had felt there.  When Brian pulled each toe, Justin thought his cock was going to explode. There was something so erotic about having Brian do this to him. He moaned in satisfaction.



Brian began the same work on the other foot giving it all the attention he had provided to the first one.  The more Brian worked on his foot the harder his cock got. It was trapped beneath him and he so wanted to start stroking himself, but he knew Brian wouldn't want him to.



When Brian began pulling the toes on this foot, Justin couldn't help himself.  "Oh … oh … oh, God! Ooooh, Brian," he moaned. It was all he could do to stop himself from coming there and then.



"Roll over," Brian ordered.



Justin languidly turned over knowing his cock was red and throbbing and fully engorged.



"I see I got the desired effect," Brian said with a grin.  His hand closed around Justin's leaking cock and he stroked it gently using the precum for lubrication.



"That was the best surprise I've ever had," Justin said with a silly grin on his face.  "Who knew that the feet could be so erotic?"



"Every part of you can be erotic, if it's done right."

"How do you know?"

"Years of experience."

"You mean you've done this to other men?" Justin asked hoping against hope that the answer would be no.  He didn't like to think of Brian doing this to someone else, but he was sure he had.



"No, I never did this to anyone else, but I've had lots done to me."

"Oh."  That earned him a smile from the sunshine boy.  Justin looked down at Brian's hand still stroking his cock.  "Are you just going to play with that or are you going to use it for something?"



"I thought you might like to use it on me," Brian said with a little grin.



Justin beamed at him.  Brian still didn't let him fuck him too often, and to have him ask for it was so great.  "After that massage I'm ready, willing and able," Justin stated,



Brian turned onto his stomach and Justin knew he wanted to be rimmed.  He got to work immediately. His talented tongue worked down Brian's back and then started in on his ass.  Brian groaned and the sound went straight to Justin's dick, making it impossibly harder than it already was.  When Justin's tongue began to dart in and out of Brian's hole the man moaned Justin's name over and over again.  Brian began to push his ass up wanting Justin's tongue to go deeper. Justin grabbed the lube and started to use his fingers, knowing he couldn't wait much longer.



His fingers spread Brian open eliciting moans and groans of satisfaction.  Justin squirted some more lube onto his palm and stroked his cock with it. He positioned it at the spasming hole and pressed through the first ring of muscle.  He felt Brian tense up and try to push him out. He waited until the man relaxed and pushed in about half way.



"I love surprises," he whispered in Brian's ear.



Brian looked over his shoulder at this man who had changed his life so dramatically.  He almost wanted to cry when he felt this close to him. Instead he said, "Considering that I was going to kill you, and you forgot to remind me of that, you should consider yourself lucky."



"I am lucky," Justin said as he pressed the rest of the way in.  "I think I'm the luckiest man alive, because . I . have . you." He punctuated each of the last words with a thrust into Brian's delicious ass.  He pounded into the man, finding a rhythm they both liked. He pulled Brian's hips up off the bed so he could get a better angle and his hand could reach the man's cock.



Since they had been fucking raw, everything was so much more heightened.  The feeling of Brian's tight channel around his bare cock was so different than with a condom.  It felt like heaven.



That was the last rational thought that Justin managed as his orgasm began to build.  His hand jerked off Brian in time with his thrusts into the man's ass and soon they were both coming, explosively and fully.  The cum ran out of Brian's hole as Justin withdrew and he watched it in fascination until Brian turned over.



"Good?" Justin asked.



"Fabulous."



Justin grinned.  "I don't know why you decided on this surprise tonight, but please feel free to do it anytime."

"So you liked your surprise?"



"Um, hmm."

"Anything for my baby."

Justin giggled.  He liked Brian to call him baby.

Brian pulled Justin against him and kissed the full, red mouth.  He thought about what they had just done and a smile spread across his face.  This was so different from fucking some nameless, transient trick. This was his life, his and Justin's, and it was good.



"What are you smiling at now?" Justin asked looking into Brian's eyes.



"You."

"What's going on, Brian?  You seem different somehow."

"Maybe I am," Brian said mysteriously.



"How?  Why? What's happened?"

Brian smiled broadly and Justin ran his hand down the side of his face.  He didn't think he would ever see a lovelier sight than this smile on the man he loved.  They had come a long way from what Brian was like at the outset of their 'relationship'.



"Notice anything there?" Brian asked.


"Where?"



"On my face."

"No, why?"

"Look closely."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Around my eyes."

"What about around your eyes?"  Justin looked at Brian's beautiful eyes.  He saw the lines that were becoming a little more prominent when he smiled, but he couldn't figure out why Brian would want him to notice that.  "I don't see anything," he said.



"I have cracks," Brian said proudly.



"Cracks?"



"Yes, cracks."

"Brian, what are you talking about, or have you cracked?"

"Gus told me that I have cracks."

"What are cracks?"



"Wrinkles."

"You're smiling because you have wrinkles?" Justin asked in amazement.  "You, the man who was never going to grow old, the man who uses hundred dollar a tube eye cream!

"That's right."

"But why?"

"Gus likes it when I smile and have cracks.  Then he can kiss me," Brian said like he was explaining a fact of life to an eight year old.



"He told you that?" Justin asked.  Brian nodded proudly. "And you liked it, that you have cracks?"

"Yep."

"What the fuck have you done with the real Brian Kinney?"

"He's here."



"And he has cracks?"



"That's right."  Brian smiled, open and genuine and happy.



"Well, if you have cracks and that makes it good to kiss you, then I better get to work."  His lips captured Brian's and they kissed deeply for a few minutes. Suddenly Justin could feel Brian shaking.  He broke the kiss and looked at his partner. "Are you laughing?"



Brian nodded.



"I think you've gone nuts."

"Probably."

Justin kissed him again.  "I love you with cracks," he felt compelled to say, really enjoying this new version of Brian Kinney.



"Why?" Brian asked and they both broke into gales of laughter as they thought of Gus and all of his 'why' questions.

Chapter 24 - Camel by Thyme

 

Camel

Brian pulled on his jeans and t-shirt, grabbed his leather jacket and headed down to the Jeep.  He was going to pick up Gus and spend the rest of the morning with him, have lunch with Justin who was working at the diner, and return Gus to his mothers by three pm.



As he climbed into the Jeep he thought about spending time with his son.  It had become kind of a guilty pleasure for him. He got to do all the things with Gus that he had been deprived of doing in his childhood.  He knew that Gus loved him and he loved him back just as much if not more. They were almost like two playmates instead of father and son. He had never gone to the park with his own father.  The closest they ever came to going anywhere together was the bowling alley, and then he never played well enough to suit his father. He would never do that to Gus; never make him feel like he wasn't good enough.



He pulled to a stop at the Munchers and climbed out.  Even though the Jeep was now officially Justin's car, they still kept Gus' car seat in the back of it for times they transported him.  The Corvette just wasn't suitable. Pretty soon they would have to get a booster seat for the little boy. He was almost too big for the seat they had now.  He was growing up so fast.



"Dada!" Gus shouted to him from the porch.



"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian responded as the little guy ran down the sidewalk to get scooped up in his father's arms.  They kissed each other as Melanie and Lindsay carried his package of necessities out onto the porch.



"So, what are your plans?" Lindsay asked.



"I told you that we're going to the park.  Did you pack his pail and shovel? How does that sound, Gus?"


"Good," Gus said smiling at him.



"All of his supplies are in the bag.  Try not to get him too filthy," Lindsay admonished.  She had some idea how much they both liked playing in the sandbox.



"I'll do my best," Brian said picking up Gus' bag and carrying it and his son to the Jeep.  "Wave bye-bye," Brian told him as he strapped him into his seat.



Gus waved and Brian pulled away with his son safely stowed behind him.  He glanced in the rearview mirror to find Gus staring back at him.



"You want to go to the park, don't you?" Brian asked.



Gus nodded.  "Where's Justin?" he asked.



"He's working at the diner," Brian explained.  "We're going to have lunch there with him after we … you … play in the park."

Gus grinned.  "Good."



Now all was right with his world.  He knew where everybody was and he was going to get to see Justin and eat at the diner and have French fries and maybe see Debbie.  His mind raced ahead to all the fun stuff he would get to do. He smiled again at his Dada who smiled back at him in the rearview mirror.



When they arrived at the park Brian got Gus out of his seat and warned him to stay close while he gathered up his bag of goodies.  Once Brian had everything, Gus, who had been hopping from foot to foot in anticipation, looked at his father and asked, "Now?"

Brian nodded and Gus took off as fast as his little legs would carry him.  Brian ran behind him making sure he stayed close, but he always let Gus win the race to the sandboxes.  Gus hit the middle of the sandbox and bounced up and down in victory. The smile on his face always made it worth losing the race.



Brian unpacked the shovel and pail and some of the cars and trucks that Gus' mothers had stuffed into the bag.  Gus sat down and started making his roadways and trails in the dirt. He loved driving his cars around the sandbox and inventing stories about what they were doing.  Brian watched in silence for awhile.



"Play with me, Dada," Gus ordered.



Brian picked up a car and drove it along one of Gus' roadways.  "It looks like we're traveling through the desert."

"Sand," Gus smiled.



"Deserts have sand, "Brian agreed.  Gus smiled at him. "What else do deserts have?"  Brian liked playing this game with Gus. Lindsay was always reading to the little boy and he knew so many things already.  Plus, Brian never knew what weird and wonderful thing would come out of his mouth.



"Camels," Gus said after a little thought.



"Yes, they do.  Have you seen any camels today?"

Gus looked around.  He slowly shook his head.  "Go look for my camel?" he said.



"You have a camel … of your own?" Brian asked.



Gus nodded.  "Come, Dada. Find my camel."

Brian took his hand and they set out to find Gus' camel.  Brian smiled to himself. This would be a real adventure. They walked down the grassy knoll and came to a large maple tree.  Gus went behind the tree and looked all around.



"Did you find your camel?" Brian asked.



Gus shook his head and marched along with Brian staying close behind.  They approached a bench where an elderly man sat reading his newspaper.



"Have you seen my camel?" Gus asked the man.



The elderly gentleman lowered his paper and looked at Gus.  "No, I'm afraid I haven't," he said. "Is he lost?"



Gus nodded.  The man looked at Brian and smiled.



"I hope you find him," the man said.



"Me too," Gus agreed and marched on to look elsewhere for the missing pachyderm.



Brian gave the man a little grin and followed his son.  Gus began running from tree to tree looking for the camel behind each one.  Brian asked him each time if the camel was there, but the answer was always 'no'.



The next people they came to were a couple of teenagers making out on a bench.  Gus ran up to them and stared. They seemed completely oblivious as they continued to kiss.



"Gus," Brian said wanting him to come away.



Gus reached out and tapped the knee of the boy with the palm of his hand.



"Wha'?" the kid gasped coming up for air.



"Have you seen my camel?" Gus asked seriously.



The boy looked stunned and in bewilderment said, "What the fuck?"

The girl looked at Gus and saw Brian standing a bit behind him.  She grinned at Brian and then at Gus. "You'll have to forgive his bad language," she said giving her boyfriend a swat on the chest.  Gus giggled. "Have you lost you camel?" she asked with a look of mock worry on her face.



Gus nodded and said, "Yes, have you seen him?"



"No," she said, "but I hope you find him."



"I will," Gus declared and set off again.



"Good luck," she called after Gus and gave Brian a grin as he went after the little one.  Brian mouthed a 'thank you' before her boyfriend grabbed her and stuck his tongue down her throat once again.



As Brian trailed behind his son he realized that Gus was having the time of his life.  He was getting to explore the whole park and talk to all kinds of people that would never speak to him otherwise.  Brian realized that it might be a long time before they found the camel, if at all. His son was a resourceful little dickens.



Gus continued to check behind each tree that they passed.  He always waited for Brian to ask if the camel was there, but it never was.  They met several more people. Brian's favorite was the woman walking a little schnauzer.  Gus stopped to ask if she had seen his camel. When she said no, he squatted down and asked the dog.  Gus and the dog had quite a little conversation with Gus declaring that the dog had seen his camel way down at the end of the park.



Off they went to check there.  No camel came to light, however.  Brian finally managed to turn Gus around and head him back in the direction of where they had left the toys and Gus' bag in the sandbox.



Gus continued to check behind every tree.  They were about halfway back to the sandbox when Gus spotted a woman pushing a stroller with a little girl in it.



"Have you seen my camel?" Gus asked the lady.



"No, little boy," she replied abruptly.



"Have you seen my camel?" he asked the little girl.  She giggled and looked at Gus with wonder.



"She hasn't seen a camel," the woman said rather harshly.



"Come on, Gus," Brian said taking his hand.  Brian didn't like the woman's tone. They quickly walked away.  Gus kept looking over his shoulder at the little girl who looked longingly at the two as they walked away.



"She not nice," Gus said.



"No, she wasn't very nice, was she?"



Gus shook his head.  He saw a couple sitting on a bench up ahead and ran over to them.  "Have you seen my camel?" he asked them.



"You know," the man said, "I thought I saw a camel pass by a little while ago."

Gus smiled at the man.  "Where did he go?"



Brian gestured in the direction they were headed and the man said, "That way, I think."  It was the direction Brian had indicated.



"Are you having a lot of trouble finding him?" the woman asked.



"Yes," said Gus nodding his head.  "Naughty camel."

The couple stifled a giggle.  Gus started up a little hill to check behind the tree up there.



"Stay in sight," Brian said to Gus.  "Thanks for going along with him and pointing him in the right direction.  We've almost covered the whole park," Brian told them.



"He's a sweet little boy, so imaginative," the woman said.



"He's pretty bright, if I do say so myself," Brian bragged.



"He looks just like you," the man said.



"Everybody tells me that."

"He's lucky to have such a handsome and caring father," the woman added.



"Thanks," Brian replied touched that someone had actually told him that.  He tried his best but he was always afraid that some of Jack's bad habits would creep in.



"Come on, Dada.  We have to find my camel," Gus called.



"Got to go," Brian told the couple and took off after Gus.  They smiled at each other as Brian and Gus made their way up the hill to the sandbox.



Luckily nobody had walked off with Gus' toys or his bag.  Brian found him the juice box that Lindsay always included and Gus drank greedily.



"Good, Dada," he said when he had had enough.



"Do you think you would like to try the slide before we go to the diner?" Brian asked.



Gus nodded and they gathered up his toys and bag and moved over to the slides.  Gus had learned to love the covered one that curved around. It always surprised the little boy that his daddy would be at the side where he went in and then waiting for him at the bottom when he popped out.



Gus climbed the steps carefully with Brian's hand on his back.  He sat down at the top.



"Ready," he said and pushed off.  Brian quickly ran around to the end of the slide and caught his son as he popped out.  Gus giggled with delight. "Again," he demanded immediately. Brian walked him around to the back and they repeated the performance.



After countless times, Brian decided they better go get something to eat.  Justin would be waiting for them. He was going to take his break and eat lunch with them.  When he suggested this to Gus, the little boy agreed, deciding that he might find his camel there.



Brian smiled as they packed everything into the Jeep and got ready to leave.  The couple they had talked to walked past and asked Gus if he had found his camel.



"Not yet," he said.  They wished him luck and gave him a big smile.



Brian found a good parking space across the street from the diner.  He took Gus' hand and they walked into the restaurant.



"Hey," Brian said to Justin who was in the middle of waiting on a table.



"Hey," he replied.  "Hey, Gus. Find a booth and I'll join you in a minute or two."



"Hey there, gorgeous Gus," Debbie called.



"Hey, Debbie," Gus responded.  "Have you seen my camel?"

"Camel?" Debbie asked looking at Brian.  "There hasn't been a camel in here all day."

"Oh," Gus said.



"Where did you lose him?"

"At the park."

"Maybe he'll turn up later," Debbie suggested.



Justin came over to the booth and gave Brian a quick kiss.  "Did you two have fun at the park?" Gus nodded and Justin gave him a kiss and a hug much to the delight of the little boy.  "Everybody want the usual?" Justin asked. Father and son nodded and Justin went to put in their order.



Brian left their coats and Gus' bag in the booth and took Gus to the restroom to clean up.  He washed the little boy's face and hands. That's when he noticed the grass stains all over the knees of Gus' pants.



"Where did you get these?" Brian asked knowing that he would probably get shit about it.



"Looking for my camel," was Gus' explanation.



Brian snorted.  He could hardly wait till he told Lindsay that Gus got the stains chasing his camel all over the fucking park.



"All clean, Dada," Gus said having had enough of being rubbed with toilet paper.



"Good enough, Sonny Boy."


They went back out to the booth to find Ted and Emmett sitting in it.



"There's my handsome boy," Emmett said.



"Thanks so much, Emm," Brian responded.



"Not you, silly.  Gus." The little boy gave Emmett a hug and sat down between the two men.



"Have you seen my camel?" Gus asked looking at the two men.



"Don't tell me your father got you a camel?" Ted asked.



"Are you out of your fucking mind?" Brian demanded frowning at Ted in disbelief.



"Language," Debbie said as she passed by and swatted Brian on the back of the head.



"Ow," Brian responded.



Gus giggled knowing his father had been punished for using a bad word.  "Play in the park," Gus said. "Looked everywhere for my camel." Gus' little arms spread out wide to show Emmett how far they had gone to look for the camel.



"But you couldn't find him?" Emmett asked.



"Gus tried very hard," Brian said solemnly.



Gus beamed at his father's approval.



Justin appeared with their food and slid into the seat next to Brian.  "Yours will be out in a minute or two," he said to Ted and Emmett.



"Justin," Gus said reaching across the table to tap the young man on the arm and get his attention.  "Justin."

"Yes, Gus."

"Have you seen my camel?"

Justin looked at Brian.  "No, Gus, is he lost?"


Gus nodded and stuffed a French fry into his mouth.



"Gus had to search the whole park for his camel," explained Brian.  "We went all the way from one end to the other and back again. Gus worked very hard to find him."



Justin smiled at Brian.  He loved it when Brian let his imagination run, and when he was so supportive to Gus.  He could imagine the happy little boy that Brian might have been if he had had parents like Gus' who didn't stifle him and criticize him and beat the crap out of him.



"What's wrong?" Brian asked and Justin realized that his face must have turned sad as he thought about what Brian had suffered through.



"Oh … um … I was thinking about where the camel could be.  I wonder if something has happened to him," Justin lied.



Brian gave him a look, but quickly said, "I'm sure he's all right.  We'll find him soon, won't we, Gus?"

"Maybe," Gus said and Brian knew that the camel was too good an excuse to meet and talk to people.  Gus would never find him and lose that opportunity.



They ate and chatted with Ted and Emmett until their food arrived.  Gus wolfed down his French fries and hot dog. He was really hungry after all the running around he had done.



"Sundae," he said to Justin when he had eaten all of the main course that he wanted.



"Ask nicely," Brian warned.



"Please, may I have a sundae," Gus said slowly and deliberately.



Everybody at the table stifled their laughs and looked away.  Gus studied the reaction and giggled.



"He's going to use that again sometime," Brian thought to himself.  His son was one smart little fucker.

Debbie brought Gus his sundae.  Justin said he better get back to work and would see Brian at the loft for dinner.  Brian gathered up his son and all of his paraphernalia. They said goodbye to Ted and Emmett and Debbie and went out to the Jeep.



"Dada," Gus said as he was being buckled into his seat.



"Yes, Gus."

"I had fun looking for the camel."

"So did I, Sonny Boy, so did I."



Gus kissed his cheek as he leaned in to make sure he was secure.



"Love you, Dada."

"Love you too," and he hugged his son pleased at how well the day had gone.



When they arrived at the Munchers it was a little before three, but Gus was having trouble keeping his eyes open.



"Nap time for you," Brian said as he helped the little boy out of his seat.



"No," Gus whined.



Brian didn't argue.  He took Gus' hand and they walked up to the front door.  Melanie opened it.



"You're early," she said.



"I hope I interrupted something," Brian said with a sneer.



Melanie ignored the crack.  "Couldn't stand him a minute longer?" she asked.



"Not at all, but he's kind of tired.  I think he should have a nap."

"Really?"



Lindsay came to the door looking a little disheveled.  "I did interrupt them," Brian thought. "But I won't let my mind go there."

"Hi, sweetie," Lindsay said to Gus.  "Did you have fun?"

Gus nodded and let out a yawn.  "Have you seen my camel?"



"What?" Lindsay asked.



"I looked everywhere for my camel."

"You did?"


"Mm hmm," Gus said sleepily.



"I think somebody needs his nap."  Lindsay picked up Gus and carried him upstairs.



"So what's all this about a camel?" Melanie asked Brian.



"We were playing … he was playing in the sandbox at the park and we decided it was like a desert with all the sand around his cars," Brian began.  Melanie noted the 'we were playing' part but decided not to say anything. "I asked him what else deserts had besides sand and he came up with camels.  He took me all around the park searching for his camel."

"Did you find it?"

"Of course not, or he wouldn't be asking if you had seen it," Brian said.  Sometimes women were too obtuse.



"Are we going to have to listen to him ask about his camel every two minutes?" Mel asked testily.



"I don't think so.  It was just a way for him to get to explore the park and talk to new people."

"You let him talk to strangers?" Mel asked in astonishment.



"Right," Brian agreed knowing he could get her goat.  "I just sent him off to ask anyone he met if they had seen his camel and I laid in the sun and waited for him to come back."

"You shit!"



"I wouldn't do that," Brian defended himself.



"I should hope not, but you're still a shit for saying that you did."

"I was right behind him every moment."  Brian let out a yawn.

"It's a big park, isn't it?" Melanie said with a grin.



"Humungous!  Gotta go."



Brian was out the door before he had to endure any more questioning from the Grand Inquisitor Melanie.



                                                              -----



When Justin opened the loft door he couldn't see Brian anywhere.  He had brought dinner with him and wondered where Brian could have gone.  The man knew what time he was coming home and that he was bringing the meal.



Suddenly he heard a snort from the sofa and walked quietly over to find Brian sound asleep, curled up in a fetal position.  It wasn't like Brian to take a nap in the daytime. His idea of a nap was a vigorous round of fucking or two or three.



Justin watched him.  He was sure he was dreaming; his eyelids were fluttering in an erratic pattern.  He looked so beautiful and so vulnerable when he was like that. It was like he reverted to the little boy that he was never allowed to be.



Justin backed away and carried the bag of takeout over to the kitchen.  He wasn't that hungry. He'd wait for awhile and see if Brian woke up. He had work he could do.



About fifteen minutes later Justin was engrossed in a book he had to read for one of his classes when he heard Brian groan and stretch.



"You awake?" Justin called across the loft.



"Yeah, when did you get home?"

"A few minutes ago."

"Why didn't you wake me?"

"You looked so peaceful and I wasn't very hungry, so I thought I'd wait till you woke up."

"I'm awake and I'm hungry.  How about you?"

"Ready when you are.  We probably need to nuke the Chinese food though."



They both made their way to the kitchen and scooped out what they wanted to eat.  The plate was put in the microwave to make it piping hot and they carried it over to the sofa.



Justin took a bite.  "This is good." Brian nodded eating more heartily than he usually did.  "So did Gus tire you out and make you hungry."

Brian grinned.  "Yeah."

"Have fun with him?"

"He's a tricky little thing.  He used that camel story to explore the whole park and get to talk to everyone he met."


"And you let him?"

"He was having a great time and … so was I," Brian admitted.



Justin smiled at him, glad that Brian enjoyed being with his son, that they could have a good time together.  "Did he ever find the camel?"



"Nope, and I don't think he ever will, but it makes a good reason to wander about."

"I love you, you know."

"I know," Brian said softly.  "By the way have you seen my camel?"

"No, you have one too?"

"Oh yes."



"Since when?"

"I think he might be up in the bedroom," Brian replied ignoring the question.



"The bedroom?  Imagine that."

"Want to come help me look for him?"



"Sure."



They set down their plates and holding hands they walked up to the bedroom.



"I bet you won't find your camel either," Justin said.



"Probably not, but you never what you'll discover along the way."  He gently pushed Justin onto the bed and spread himself overtop.

Chapter 25 - A Closer View of The World by Thyme

 

A Closer View of the World


Brian rubbed his eyes and focused on the computer screen.  He could feel another headache building.



"Justin," Brian called, "have we got any aspirin?"

"In the medicine cabinet in the bathroom," Justin said from the alcove where he was working on his school assignment.



"Could you get me one?"



"Can't you get it yourself?"



"I guess so."

"Then do it," Justin said.  "I'm busy." He mumbled to himself, "And I'm not your fucking maid."

He heard Brian get up and go to the bathroom.  When he heard him come back out, he asked, "Did you find them?"


"Yes."

"Have you got another headache?"

"I hope not, but it felt like one was coming."



"That's the third time this week that you've had a headache from working on the computer."

"Yeah … I guess it is," Brian admitted.



"Maybe it's your eyes.  You should get them tested."

"There's nothing wrong with my fucking eyes."



"Just that you're getting older and your eyes are probably getting weaker," Justin thought to himself, but knew better than to voice it.



Brian went back to work on the computer and Justin went back to the paper he was researching.



When Brian flicked off the computer an hour or so later he did have a headache in spite of the aspirin he had taken.



                                                              -----



"What do you think about that copy?" Cynthia asked Brian.



"It's … okay."

"Not up to snuff, is it?" she asked understanding Kinney-speak pretty well.  "That's exactly what I thought."



"There's nothing exactly wrong with it, but there's also nothing really right.  Get Kevin to do it over," Brian said bluntly. "I want to see two or three possible new versions by tomorrow."



"Will do," Cynthia said.  "You need to read this," she added handing him a folder containing a large stack of papers.



"What the fuck is this?"

"Vance wants your take on this company.  He's talking like he wants to buy them out."

"Expansion?" Brain asked somewhat surprised.



"Apparently, at least according to the office grapevine."

"Well, well, well," Brian said.  "That's interesting. He's been letting on to me that we're not doing so well.  I wanted to hire a new junior account exec, but he wouldn't let me."



"He's probably saving up for this takeover, if it happens."

"I should have clued in to this sooner.  I'm not seeing things so clearly these days."



"You've been swamped.  Vance gives you the bulk of the actual work to do."



Brian shrugged and opened the folder.  "Shuleck Advertising," he read aloud.



"Have you heard of them?"



"They're small potatoes, but they do compete against us in this region of Pennsylvania.  Vance must want to get rid of the competition," Brian speculated.



"Are there any people there that might make a good addition to Vangard?"

"I'm not that familiar with their work.  I guess it will be in the file," Brian sighed flipping through the stack of papers.



"Good luck," Cynthia said sympathetically.  "Your meeting starts in five minutes."



Brian grimaced.  He had so much work to do himself and then he had to attend these planning and creative and team building meetings.  Being partner was the pits sometimes. Now Vance wanted him to read all about this company. He was willing to bet that Vance had already made the decision to buy out Shuleck.  He didn't really care about Brian's opinion on anything. Giving this file to Cynthia to give to him was Vance's way to tell Brian what was happening. They rarely talked face to face.



He decided he could get away without reading about Shuleck Advertising, but if he did he'd be out of the loop.  He wanted to be on top of things. He wanted his opinion to count for something. That meant that he would have to spend all evening plowing through all that fucking information.  He dropped the file in his briefcase and headed out for the meeting with the art department about some new equipment that they thought they needed.



                                                               -----



Midnight came and went.  Justin turned off his computer and moved over to the sofa where Brian was still reading.  He had a mound of papers of which he seemed to have read about three-quarters.



"Are you ready for bed?" Justin asked grinning at Brian.



"I have to finish this shit first."

"How long?"

"About another hour."

Justin groaned.  "God, how do you stand all this fucking paperwork?"

"By fucking you when I'm through."

"Well, hurry up.  I'm going to sketch for awhile, but if you're not ready to fuck me by the time I'm done, I'll have to take matters into my own hand."  Justin grinned mischievously making the obvious motion with his hand.



It was Brian's turn to groan.  He would have liked to throw the damn papers in the garbage and nail Justin to their bed.  But, he had promised himself to get through this stuff and be prepared if Vance asked him about this company tomorrow.  He had already found one interesting thing. Shuleck had done a campaign for a frozen pizza recently. He had found the commercials very impressive and very entertaining.  It appeared that one of their execs was responsible for that and for another series of ads for a local winery. Brian had been impressed with them too. The person responsible for those ads might be someone worth bringing on board at Vangard.  He wondered if Vance knew about this George Abrams.



Brian continued his reading, the pile of papers gradually decreasing on one side and growing on the other as he worked his way through.  He flipped through the last few pages not seeing anything worthy of his attention. He stretched and rotated his neck which was stiff. It cracked as he leaned it back and forth.  He squeezed the bridge of his nose. He had been fighting another headache for the last couple of hours. He had lost the fight.



He stood up slowly and walked to the bathroom.  He grabbed the bottle of aspirin and downed the last two pills.  He would have to remember to get some more. He seemed to be going through them in short order these days.



He looked at Justin who sat Indian style on the bed still sketching.  "I see that you didn't have to start without me," Brian noted.



Justin grinned.  "I'm just adding the finishing touches."  He continued to move the pencil across the page as Brian began to get rid of his clothes.



"Can I see?" he asked as he dropped down beside Justin on the bed.  It was often a sketch of him and he liked to see what Justin had found interesting about him to draw this time.  He looked at the sketch and frowned. Something wasn't quite right.



Justin watched his reaction.  "What?" he said.



"Something's wrong."

"What?  That's what I saw."



"Look at the way you have me holding those papers," Brian explained.  "It looks like my arm with the paper is twice as long as the other one."



"I just drew what was in front of me," Justin protested.  He took the sketchbook back and studied the drawing.



"Get it right next time," Brian griped.



"But…" Justin began, but that was as far as he got as his lips were captured by Brian's.



They kissed for awhile and Justin began to wonder if Brian was going to fuck him.  Then it dawned on him.



"Do you have another headache?" Justin asked pushing him away.



"I took some aspirin.  It should be gone soon."

"You should get your eyes tested," Justin said knowing that Brian had spent all evening reading which may have been what gave him the headache.



"Will you stop telling me that!" Brian responded.  "There's nothing wrong with my eyes."



Justin sighed.  "Roll over," he said.



Brian looked quizzically at him but did as he was told.  Justin straddled Brian's torso and began working on his shoulders and neck.  He heard the man sigh and could feel him relax as he continued to work on the knotted muscles.



After a few minutes he said, "Roll over."  Brian obliged. "Feel any better?" Justin asked.  Brian nodded and smiled weakly up at him. Justin straddled Brian's stomach and used his fingers to gently rub Brian's temples.  Brian's eyes closed and Justin could see the muscles in his face relax. He continued to rub softly and regularly making circles around the temple area.  Brian's mouth opened slightly revealing how relaxed he was. Justin sat still, continuing to rub. Soon Brian's even breathing indicated that he was asleep.



Justin continued a bit more of his gentle circles wanting to be certain that Brian was fully under.  Finally he climbed slowly off the man doing his best not to wake him. He snuggled down under the duvet with his partner and studied the beautiful face beside him.



He was so stubborn.  Justin was sure he was getting all these headaches because he needed glasses, but try to tell Brian that.  It would be another reminder that he was getting older and Justin knew that would simply set the man off if he broached the subject again.



Justin squirmed around getting comfortable but not losing contact with his man.  There would be no sex tonight, but in a relationship there were sometimes other things that were more important.  He smiled slightly as he began to doze off.



                                                               -----



Vance wanted Brian to attend the final meeting of his takeover of Shuleck Advertising.  As Brian had suspected Vance had already made up his mind about the transaction. He was holding this meeting with Albert Shuleck who owned the company and seemed ready to be bought out.  They would finalize the deal with Shuleck and then leave the man to inform his employees. Brian wondered how long it would be before the employees would hear Vance's patented "show me why I shouldn't fire you" routine.



Brian and Vance drove to the offices of Shuleck Advertising in Philadelphia.  They took Vance's Mercedes, since Gardner could never understand why Brian was driving a vehicle as primitive as a Jeep or as impractical as his Corvette.



There was not a great deal of discussion during the trip.  Neither man particularly liked the other. Vance asked about Justin and Brian said that he was fine.  Brian wanted to know what his role was at this meeting. Vance said he wanted him to meet Shuleck and get his read on the man and the way he ran his company.  Brian wasn't sure what that meant because Vance rarely listened to Brian's ideas about anything other than ads, slogans or artwork. Vance finally said that he was hoping to have Brian assist in the division and incorporation of Shuleck into Vangard.  Brian was about to mention George Abrams, but then decided against it until he got the lay of the land. He asked Vance if he had any plan mapped out for the takeover. Vance was non-committal but Brian was pretty sure he had already thought it out. He wondered if Vance had made a decision about Abrams or even knew who he was.



As they neared Philadelphia Vance asked Brian to get the map of Philadelphia and the instructions on how to get to Shuleck's offices out of the glove compartment.  Brian pulled them out and began reading Vance the instructions that his secretary had written on a piece of paper. They followed them quite easily and arrived at the office tower that housed Shuleck.  They parked in the parking garage, found the elevator and made their way to Shuleck Advertising.



The offices were nice but nothing impressive.  Vangard was much nicer. Both men reached that same conclusion.



The receptionist indicated their way to the boardroom where she said Mr. Shuleck would be waiting for them.  Albert Shuleck greeted them warmly and complimented them on some of the work Vangard had recently done. The fact that he specifically mentioned the Brown Athletics ads pleased Brian no end since they were his baby and Vance had known nothing about them until it was a done deal.



All parties signed the letters of agreement.  When they were about to take their leave Shuleck said he would like to summon his staff and make the announcement that he was selling while Brian and Gardner were there.  He would then introduce them to their new employees. There were many shocked faces on the men and women who attended the meeting when Shuleck made his announcement. A few seemed to be less surprised and Brian wondered if they had assistants like Cynthia who monitored the gossip grapevine.  Brian wondered which one was George Abrams. Several of the executives looked nervous wondering what their future might be now. Unemployment was a real possibility.



Shuleck asked Gardner to say a few words.  He was rather blunt about the prospect of keeping them all on.  He said they might decide to keep the Philadelphia office open, but if they decided to close it he couldn't guarantee how many of them he would be able to absorb into Vangard.  He said decisions would be made within the next two weeks.



The staff began to filter away and Brian was ready to get out of there.  As big an asshole as he was supposed to be, he had never enjoyed, and in most cases had studiously avoided, firing people.  This was no exception.



A few people had Gardner cornered wanting to make him aware of who they were and how valuable they would be to his company.  No sign of escape seemed evident. Brian fidgeted near the door wishing Gardner would hurry up.



Suddenly he felt a hand on his arm and turned to look into the face of a beautiful young lady.  She was tall, about the same height as Lindsay, with dark brown hair that she wore in a blunt cut that suited her perfectly.  Her smile was warm and seemingly genuine. Brian groaned inwardly. All he needed was to be hit on by one of the Shuleck staff.



"Mr. Kinney," she said with a low slightly gravelly voice that made him think of Kathleen Turner.  "I've admired your work for a long time."

"Really?" he replied wanting to see if she really knew anything about his work or was just sucking up.



"Oh yes, you're well known around here for the Brown Athletics campaign.  That was a master stroke."



"So I've been told," Brian said still doubting that she knew anything else about his work.



"Your Liberty Air work was also excellent," she added with a smile.



"So she does know something about me," Brian thought.  He didn't respond to her compliment aloud.



"But you know what I think was your most masterful campaign?" she asked.



Brian raised an eyebrow.  She had mentioned his most high profile and well known campaigns.  Most people would say they were his best. "I'm sure you're going to tell me," he said.



She chuckled, low and tantalizing.  "The Open Fire Steakhouse campaign was to die for," she gushed.



Normally Brian hated gushers, but he was impressed that she even knew about the steakhouses since they were out of state and not well known other than in the south.  "You liked that one, did you?" Brian asked remembering where he had gotten the inspiration for "Eat the Meat".



"It was so clever, so hysterically funny when you thought about all the things it could mean.  How did you get the owners to go along with it?"



Brian appreciated that she got all the nuances and could see the humor in them.  "It came to me one night when I was … out on the town." He didn't know her well enough to get into the backroom situation that had actually produced that idea.



"Well, I loved it!" she said.  "I think you have some of the best campaigns out there.  No wonder you have won so many awards."

"Well, thank you for the tribute," Brian said with a little sarcasm, becoming slightly embarrassed by her fawning.



"I bet you think I'm trying to butter you up so I can keep my job," she said bluntly.



He chuckled.  "The thought did cross my mind."



"She raised her eyebrows and stared into his eyes.  "I won't lie. I don't much like the idea of looking for a new job, but I have every confidence that I will get one, maybe one even better than this one."

"You don't sell yourself short, do you, Ms….?"



"Not at all.  I know my worth, and the name's Abrams, George Abrams."  She extended her hand which Brian took and shook. He did his best to cover his amazement that George Abrams was a woman.



"Nice to meet you Ms. Abrams," Brian said.  "I'm an admirer of your work too."

"Really?" she asked.  "Even though I'm a woman?"

Brian knew he had been had.  "Even though," he admitted with a little grin.  "Is George your given name or do you use it to confuse the competition and future employers?"

It was her turn to grin.  "My name's Georgia, but I've been called George ever since I can remember.  I think my father wanted a boy. I don't do it to deliberately confuse … anybody, but sometimes it opens doors when they think I'm a man," she admitted.



Brian nodded.  He knew that was true.  Hell, if he was honest, he sometimes dismissed women in advertising much too quickly.  He wondered if he would have been as impressed with her work if he had known it was a woman who did it.  The answer was yes. It was good work, but would he have bothered to look at it if he had simply known that it was done by woman?  He wasn't so sure, but he hoped he would have. He'd have to remember that in the future, and not jump to unwarranted conclusions.



George had been studying Brian while these thoughts ran through his head.  She finally said, "You said you admired my work?"

"Fishing for compliments?"

"Just testing," she said, "like you did a few minutes ago."

"Touché," he replied knowing she was on to him.  She was as smart as a whip, and he had every confidence that she could wield a whip too, if need be.  "I really liked those pizza commercials you did," Brian admitted with a grin.



She chuckled.  "I liked those too."



"Anytime you can use humor and still make the point ..."



"Exactly."

"I also liked the winery ads.  They were different from the pizza, but very effective."

"Thank you, Mr. Kinney.  You have good taste."

"It's Brian, and it's been a pleasure talking to you."

"I hope to see you again if I'm still around after the merger," she said pointedly.



Brian grinned at her blatant ploy.  "I hope so too," he said sincerely.



Gardner had managed to extricate himself from the last Shuleck executive who was trying to convince him what a valuable part of his company he could be.  Brian gave him the high sign and they beat a hasty retreat.



They found their way back to the Mercedes and followed the signs to the exit of the parking garage.  Gardner paid the fee and asked Brian to get the instructions out of the glove compartment again. They would follow them in reverse to get back to the interstate.  Brian took them out as Gardner pulled out onto the street. They both looked around not recognizing any of the things they had seen on the way in.



"Fuck!" Brian said.  "We must have come out a different exit."



Gardner gave him a look.  "Take out the map that's with the instructions," Gardner told him.  Brian fished it out. "There's a little map of Philadelphia on the back."  Brian turned the map over and folded it to the section marked Philadelphia.  He stared at the map trying to make the tiny lettering form words that he could recognize.  "See any street names that look familiar?" Gardner asked. Brian shook his head and looked for street signs of the roads they were crossing.  Then he looked back at the map trying to match configurations. He refused to admit that he couldn't read the names.



"Maybe we should stop and ask someone for directions," Brian said hoping he could nip this in the bud before they really got lost or Gardner found out that he couldn't read the map.



"We have to cross a street that's on that map soon," Gardner said stubbornly.



"I haven't seen any yet," Brian told him.  That was true because even though he could read the names on the signs, he couldn't read them on the map.



"This is ridiculous," Gardner fumed.  He pulled the Jeep over to the curb. "Give me the map," he ordered.



Brian gratefully relinquished it.  "Why don't I drive and you navigate.  I've never been very good with maps," Brian said to hide his embarrassment of not being able to read the map.



"You mean there's something you can't do?" Gardner said sarcastically studying the map.



"I didn't say I couldn't do it.  It's just not one of my best things," Brian replied with his patented smirk.  All the while he was praying that Gardner would let him drive.



"Here's where we are," Gardner said triumphantly, finally matching a street name on the map to one he could see from the car.  "You were letting me drive in the wrong direction."



"Then why don't you let me take the wheel and you can let me drive in the wrong direction."

"Fine," Gardner said unbuckling his seatbelt.  "Get out." Brian did so with only a fleeting suspicion that Vance might put the car in gear and drive away without him.



Once they were settled with Brian behind the wheel and Vance holding the map, Gardner said, "Make a U-turn and let's get out of this place."



"You got it!" Brian retorted and peeled the car locking the wheel and spinning around to face the other direction.  He glanced over at Vance who was beet red.



"Are you fucking nuts?" he exploded.



"Possibly," Brian said as they began the long trip back to the Pitts.



                                                               -----



A couple of days later Brian came home from work as Justin was setting the table for dinner.



"I have a bit of work to do on the computer before we eat," Brian said after he had changed his clothes.



"Oh," Justin said.  "It's almost ready. How long will you be?"


"Not long."

Brian sat down at the computer and logged on.  He retrieved his newest possession from his briefcase and read the information on the site he was interested in.  After a few minutes Justin called him to the table. Brian moved over to the dining room table and sat down.



"I hope you don't get another headache tonight," Justin told him as they ate.  "Do you have much to do on the computer?"

"About an hour or so," Brian replied.



Justin groaned.  "No sex tonight," he was thinking.  Brian had taken to getting Justin to rub his temples and help him get to sleep when he was suffering from one of his headaches.  Justin wished he'd get his eyes tested or find out if he had a fucking brain tumor, because they had no sex when Justin did his temple rubbing therapy.



After dinner Justin worked on an assignment in his alcove and Brian spent the time on the computer.  Justin kept waiting for Brian to ask for an aspirin or go up to the bathroom to get one. Neither happened.



Suddenly Justin felt Brian's arms rest on his shoulders and pull him back against Brian's stomach.  "I'm ready for bed," Brian said with a grin.



"No headache tonight?"



Brian shook his head and bent over to kiss Justin softly and luxuriantly.  "Are you coming?" Brian asked heading up the steps.



"Be right there," Justin said with a smile.  He finished up the last paragraph he was reading and stuffed some books in his backpack so that he didn't forget them tomorrow.  He turned out the light and walked up the steps to the bedroom.



Brian sat naked on the bed propped up against the pillows reading a magazine.  He was wearing his new reading glasses.



Justin grinned at him.  "When did you get those?" he asked.



"Today.  I had my eyes tested the day I came back from Philadelphia."

"What made you do it?"

"It was time," was all Brian said.  "How do you like them?"

"You look sexy as hell," Justin replied divesting himself of the remainder of his clothes.  "Am I going to get fucked by a guy in glasses?"



"That's what I was thinking."



"Are they just for reading?" Justin asked studying the glasses as he dropped down on the bed beside Brian.



"And the computer."

"Good, maybe they'll stop those headaches."

"They fucking better," Brian retorted.  "Besides I may be able to find some things I never noticed before."



"Like what?" Justin asked.



"This pimple on your ass," Brian said giving him a pinch and pulling the boy against his body.



"I don't have pimples," Justin said confidently.



"I know.  That's why I keep you around.  You're flawless."

"Thanks, I think," Justin looked at him funny.  "What's got into you?"

"These glasses have made me view the world in a different fashion."

"How?"

"I see things more clearly now."


"Brian, what's going on?  It's like you're talking about something more than the glasses."

"I think we have some decisions to make in the next little while."



"We do?"

"Yes," Brian said kissing Justin and beginning to roam his body with his hands.



"About what?"

"We'll talk about that later.  There are more important things to do right now."



They bucked together rubbing their swollen cocks across each other.  Justin looked up into Brian's eyes. Brian stared back from behind his new glasses.



"They look good," Justin said lustily.



"Not going to call me four eyes?"

"Why would I do that?"

"That was standard for kids who wore glasses."

"Ah, the good old days, when all you had to worry about was being teased because you wore glasses."

Brian was sure that Justin had meant that to be funny, but he heard the sadness in the boy's voice.  Brian knew he must have been thinking about the high school bullying he had to endure which was much more severe than anything that happened when Brian was in school.  And then there was the bashing. Brian shuddered involuntarily.



"I'm sorry," Brian said.



"For what?"



"For reminding you."  They both knew what they were thinking about.



"It's okay," Justin said softly.  "Are you going to fuck me anytime soon?"

"Maybe, but I need a better look at you though, to make sure you're up to snuff."



Justin snorted.  "I'm the best thing that ever happened to you."

Brian stared into the blue eyes.  "Yes, you are. I see that clearly now."  Justin beamed one of his trademark smiles back at Brian.  The man softly kissed the lips of the man that he had learned to love with all of his heart and soul.



Gradually the kiss deepened and they both could feel its effects.  Just before Brian entered his lover he removed his glasses and glanced over to their rings hanging in the sculpture on the dresser.  They had some big decisions to make. And then he plunged in eliciting groans of pleasure from each of them. The big decisions would have to wait a while longer.


Chapter 26 - Ask Justin by Thyme

 

Ask Justin

Justin shoved Brian against the outside of the loft door.  He pressed against Brian's body making sure their cocks came into contact.  Brian's hand swooped behind Justin's head and pressed the boy's lips against his own.  His tongue probed and was granted entrance to Justin's warm, wet mouth. It grazed over the blond's teeth and wrapped around the boy's tongue.



Justin moaned and his tongue fought back trying to get into Brian's mouth.  Brian relented and let him take control. Justin's tongue dove in and did its best to reach down Brian's throat to the very heart of him.  Brian felt Justin's hand cup his balls and squeeze.



"Ahh," Brian moaned.  "Let me get the fucking door open or we're doing it right here on the landing.



Justin chuckled but released him.  Brian made short work of the door.



"Race ya'," Justin yelled and made a beeline for the bedroom throwing off clothes with every step that he took.



"Hey, no fair," Brian yelled slamming the door behind him.  "I have to lock the fucking door or we'll probably have a visit from Mikey or Lindsay or Debbie or some other cretin who doesn't know how to knock."



"Quit griping and get up here," Justin ordered.  "I'm way ahead of you."

Brian finished setting the alarm and started removing his clothes as he made his way over to the bedroom.  He glanced up and what he saw made his heart skip a beat and his cock swell and throb. Justin lay naked on their bed, his legs spread apart, stroking his dick.  His head was thrown back in a display of wanton pleasure.



"Jesus, you weren't kidding.  What's got into you?" Brian asked continuing to watch this display as he removed the rest of his clothes.



"I expect it to be you … now," Justin whispered.  His voice was deep and husky with lust as he continued to stroke himself.



"If I had known that taking you to dinner at a fancy restaurant could produce these results, I would have done it sooner."



"Will you shut the fuck up and get over here!"



"Yes, sir," Brian said as he saluted and slid onto the bed.  He wondered just what Justin had in mind.



Justin rolled on top of him pinning Brian to the bed with his body.  The boy's mouth found his in a deep and scorching kiss. He bucked against Brian's groin eliciting moans from each of them.



"Lube," Justin ordered.



Brian looked at him wondering what was coming or who was coming or how they were coming.  He handed Justin the lube and waited to see what he would do with it. Brian wondered if he was going to be the recipient of Justin's thick and beautiful cock.  He enjoyed Justin fucking him, especially when the boy was in one of his masterful moods like he seemed to be tonight.



"Ready?" Justin asked.



"Yes, sir," Brian said dutifully.



There were no smiles from Justin now.  He was all business. He leaned forward and kissed Brian again, running his tongue over the man's lips and teasing Brian's tongue.  His hand stroked Brian's engorged cock. He squirted some lube onto his fingers and Brian expected him to smooth it over his aching dick.  Instead Justin rose up enough to plunge one of his fingers into his own hole. Brian saw his eyes roll shut as he fucked himself with one then two fingers.  Brian watched as the boy pleasured himself, his cock getting even harder as he wanted more and more to be the object penetrating the beautiful blond.



Finally Justin opened his eyes, squirted some more lube into his hand, rubbed it up and down Brian's cock, positioned the cock at his hole and sat down in one quick, forceful and excruciatingly wonderful motion.



They both gasped and moaned at the impact.  Justin sat still while he adjusted to the intrusion.  Brian closed his eyes and enjoyed the sensation of tightness and the velvet heat that Justin produced in his unique way.  Then the ride began.



Justin rose up until Brian's cock was on the verge of falling out.  He clamped his anal muscles around the head and Brian almost screamed at the intensity of it.  He stifled the scream and made it a loud moan. Justin sat back down hard. Brian thrust up immediately, wanting to come from the sheer impact.



"Easy," Justin whispered.  "Not yet."

Justin waited until Brian calmed down a bit and then repeated the same move.  Brian knew what to expect this time and was ready for it. He bucked up into Justin buried so deep inside him that he was sure the boy could taste him in the back of his throat.



Justin rose up again, but this time he torqued his hips in a circular motion that made Brian cry out once again.



"Like that?" Justin asked with an evil grin.



"Fuck yes!" Brian gasped and Justin did it again causing an even louder cry to be pulled from Brian's chest.



Justin was quickly losing control and he began to bounce up and down on Brian's dick.  Brian tried to thrust to meet each downward motion. His orgasm built rapidly and he felt his balls rise up.  He reached for Justin's cock to jerk him off. Justin batted his hand away.



"Don't," he ordered.



Brian grabbed the sheet instead looking for purchase as he thrust upward and felt his cum shoot into the very core of the blond.  Justin sat still as the warm fluid penetrated to the heart of his body. Doing it raw was unbelievable. Brian was unbelievable. He was unbelievable, but most of all they were unbelievable … together.



Brian opened his eyes.  He looked up at Justin who still sat astride him.  Brian's softening dick was still up his ass. Justin grinned down at him, his beautiful face flushed from his exertions.  Brian looked down to see Justin's cock still red and swollen. He hadn't got off.



"Why didn't you let me…?" he began.



"Oh, I have something else in mind," Justin said firmly.  "Roll over."



Brian grinned realizing what Justin was going to do.  Justin rose up and released Brian's cock from his hole.  The man turned beneath him and Justin sat back down on Brian's legs.  He leaned forward and began to work his way down Brian's spine using his lips and his tongue and his teeth.  Brian groaned in satisfaction. He could hardly wait.



When Justin reached his ass he licked and nipped all around Brian's pucker.  When he thought Brian wouldn't expect it he drove his tongue forcefully into the wrinkled hole.  Brian's head shot up and he cried, "Justin."

Justin loved it when he could make Brian scream his name.  He grinned in satisfaction and plunged his tongue back in. When he had made Brian whimper and moan enough, he lubed his dick and positioned it at Brian's hole.



"Ready?" he asked.



"Do it," Brian said looking over his shoulder.



Justin pulled Brian's hips up a little farther and plunged in.  Brian yelped at the intrusion but Justin showed him no mercy. He drew back and plunged in even farther.  Brian cried out again and looked back at his lover.



"You love it rough," Justin said, that evil grin on his handsome face.



"You'll pay later," Brian snarled, but he knew he did love this rough, forceful Justin.  He loved Justin … period.



"I can hardly wait," Justin retorted as he thrust vigorously into Brian's hot ass.



The ride didn't last long and soon Justin was coming, shooting deep into the man he loved.  When he was finally exhausted and slid off Brian's back, the man rolled over and took the blond into his arms.



"I don't know what gets into you sometimes," Brian said, "but I like it."

Justin kissed him.  "I don't either, but it is fun, isn't it?"



Brian grinned and kissed him back.  They snuggled together and each glanced at their rings hanging in the sculpture on top of the dresser.  Brian looked at Justin's eyes trying to gauge what he was feeling. He was beginning to think they should wear those rings, not keep their true commitment to each other a secret any longer.  He couldn't tell what Justin was feeling. That worried him, because he didn't think he could stand Justin rejecting those rings again. He kissed the boy and rolled over keeping his thoughts to himself.  He felt Justin snuggle against his back and he quickly fell asleep.



                                                               -----


Brian stared at the rings that hung nestled between the intertwining hearts of Justin's sculpture.  His thoughts returned to the moment he had presented the rings to Justin. That was his grand gesture and it had had very unexpected results.  Justin had been physically ill when he had offered him the ring. Brian still felt the chill and the hurt of that moment when he thought about it.  Even though he had tried to get over it, he didn't think he ever would.



"You're selfish," she had said.  The words reverberated in his head.  He had denied it as he and his mother sat in the church, but deep down he knew that she was right.  His mother could see his selfishness, but never the reason for it. He was selfish. He knew it. He had to be … to survive.  If he didn't look out for himself, no one would.



But now he had someone else to look out for him, someone who always stood by him … when Brian gave him the chance.  His fingers reached for the gold claddagh rings and played with them where they hung in the empty space of the heart.  He had caused that hole in Justin's heart. The boy had told him as much.



This had been their compromise; put the rings away until they were ready to deal with them.  Were they ready to wear them now? The rings had almost torn them apart. Brian had felt he was ready to wear them then, but Justin wanted to keep the true nature of their relationship between only the two of them.  So they had compromised. But Brian knew that wasn't enough. For the first time in his life he wanted, yes wanted, to declare his love for someone. He wanted everyone to know. Justin was his … and he was Justin's.  These rings were the symbol of his love for his partner and he wanted everyone to know how he felt. Was that selfish too?



They had been in a "committed" relationship for over a year and he had been … monogamous for almost nine months.  A grim smile ran across his face as he thought about nine months, the length of a pregnancy. Was he ready to give birth to a new and open Brian Kinney?  Truth was that he already had. He no longer tricked, he and Justin did it raw, and strangely enough he didn't even miss his old life. He never wanted anything else as long as he had Justin.



Now the problem was where did Justin stand on this whole thing.  They had not really talked about the rings since Justin had come up with the idea of incorporating them into his sculpture.  Sometimes they would look at them. After they had made love they would realize that each of them was staring at the rings, just like they had a couple of nights ago.



What did that mean?  Brian thought about the other night when that had happened.  He had wanted to ask Justin if he was ready. He had looked into his lover's eyes but had been unable to read what Justin was thinking.  So, in his usual manner of dealing with feelings, he didn't. He had kissed Justin, rolled over and gone to sleep.



He had hoped again and again that Justin would broach the subject, but that hadn't happened either.  It would have been so much easier if Justin would just say he was ready.



One day recently when Brian had come home from work, he had found Justin sitting on the edge of the bed seemingly staring at the rings.  When he had asked him what he was doing, he had merely said that he was thinking and they had left it at that. It had, however, gotten Brian wondering if maybe Justin was ready to make the next big step and start wearing the rings.



Brian sighed.  He still sucked at this relationship crap.  He supposed that most people had years of practice through their teenage years and into their twenties.  With one or two exceptions he had studiously avoided all that shit. So he had little or no experience to rely on.



And then there was Eamonn.  That had really finished him with the romance and relationship shit.  It had just about finished him altogether. But he had realized that Eamonn would drag him down and he couldn't take another set of broken promises.  So his hard-learned selfishness had kicked in and he had told Eamonn that they could never be together. It was self-preservation for him, but it had cost Eamonn his life.  Brian shuddered at the thought of Eamonn's battered body as he had identified it after the man had driven his car into an abutment.



He shook himself trying to get that image out of his head.  That had nothing to do with him and Justin. He had to figure out what to do about this situation.  Was he ready to risk asking Justin to wear the ring? Just then Justin called him to come look at something he had found on his computer.  Brian knew he was going to have to do something about the rings … soon. He wished he could go away for awhile and think in peace, but that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.  He left his tormented and incomplete thoughts and went to see what Justin wanted.



                                                              -----



A couple of days later Brian concluded that it was time for him to make some definite decisions about the rings.  He had been mulling his options over and over in his head. He was getting nowhere. He needed some uninterrupted time to think, to figure out what to do.  Was he going to take the bull by the horns and force the issue of the rings? It seemed like that was what he was going to have to do. He feared, yes feared, the results of that action.  Could he stand it if Justin refused him again? He didn't think so, but he felt he had to take the chance. He had to come up with the right way to do this. Some time alone would help him clarify his feelings and decide on the best method of convincing Justin that they should be wearing their rings.



"Justin."

"Yes."

"I need to ask you something."

Justin's ears perked right up.  Rarely did Brian initiate conversation or admit that he wanted to ask him anything.



"Could you come over here … please?"



Justin felt a shudder shoot down his spine.  Brian was being polite and he had actually said please.  This could only be something bad. Slowly Justin got up from his desk in the loft and made his way over to the windows where Brian looked out at the evening sky of Pittsburgh.



"What's wrong?" Justin asked laying his hand on Brian's shoulder.



"I want to ask a favor of you," Brian said.



Justin's heart skipped a beat and he could hardly believe his ears.  "A favor?" he asked finding it difficult to make his voice work. Brian never asked for favors.  He demanded or ordered or just did whatever he wanted, but a favor…?



"A favor," Brian said again.

Justin waited for the explanation of the strange request.  None came. "Do you just want me to say, 'Yes, I'll do it'?"



"That would be nice," Brian replied with a strange look on his face.



"Brian …?"

Still no explanation was forthcoming.



"Okay," Justin said suddenly, "I'll do it."

"Don't be so hasty, Sunshine," Brian said softly.



"Well, you don't seem about to tell me what it is you want."

A long sigh escaped Brian's mouth.  "You're not going to like it," Brian finally said.



"Somehow I had already figured that out," Justin replied hoping against hope that it wouldn't be as bad as he thought.



Brian turned to look into the blue eyes.  He debated telling Justin the whole story, why he needed some time alone, but decided he couldn't.  He didn't want to bring up the rings until he was sure. He never could explain himself … not to anyone.  "I … I need you to go spend a few days with your mother or Deb … starting tomorrow."

"Spend a few days?" Justin asked puzzled.  Brian nodded. "But why?"



Brian stared into his eyes but didn't answer.  Finally he said, "I have some things I need to sort out.  I need some space … just for awhile."



"Space?  What's going on, Brian?  Talk to me."

"There's nothing to talk about.  I just need some time alone."

"You mean you need some time without me.  That's what you mean, isn't it?" Tears of hurt and betrayal had begun to form in those deep blue eyes.  Brian could tell that he had hurt his lover. That wasn't what he had meant to do. He just needed a couple of days alone to think and decide on his own what he should do … about the rings, about their future, about them.



"I said I need some time alone to think," Brian repeated trying to keep his voice level.  He knew he should explain to Justin what he needed the time for, but he couldn't seem to find the words.



"I can stay out of your way.  I don't need to leave to get out from under foot," Justin said softly.



"You're not under foot, Justin," Brian said with a sigh.  He had known this was going to be hard.



"Then why do you need to get rid of me?" Justin asked tears glistening in his eyes.



"I'm not trying to get rid of you."

"Then tell me what's going on," Justin demanded.



"Can you just do this for me … without a scene?" Brian asked.



"Oh, so now I'm causing a scene!"  Justin felt his anger rising. What the hell was going on?



"You weren't causing a scene … until now," Brian said a tinge of anger in his own voice.  He refused to be cross-examined.



"I thought this was my home too, so why do I have to leave?" Justin asked.  He hated the whine he heard in his own voice, but he didn't understand why Brian was doing this.



"Fine!" Brian retorted.  "I'll go to a hotel for a few days."

"Brian?"



"It was a simple request, but I guess it was too fucking much to ask."

"Tell me why and I'll do it."

"I did," Brian said bluntly.



"You call that an explanation?"



Brian glared at him.  "I want some fucking time alone!" Brian spat at him hating having to explain himself in any way, shape or form.



"I see.  Okay, I said I'll do it, so maybe I should leave right now," Justin said his voice shaking in anger in spite of himself.



"You don't have to leave until tomorrow."

"I don't see why I have to leave at all."



Brian sighed again.  He just couldn't do anything right where Justin was concerned.  "I have some thinking to do, Justin," Brian began.



A horrible thought crossed Justin's mind.  "Do you want to trick?" he asked dreading the answer.  "Is that it? Because if you do, you have to tell me." The catch in Justin's voice gave away the intensity of what he was feeling about Brian's request.



"Justin …" Brian began but was unable to finish what he wanted to say.



Justin had hoped he was going to get an explanation, but as always, Brian shut him out.  He locked everything that was important inside himself. In spite of all his efforts Justin realized that he had never really broken through.  "I'm gone," he said suddenly. "It'll just take me a few fucking minutes to gather up some things," Justin gulped doing his best to control the threatening tears as he grabbed his sketchbook and headed for the bedroom.



"Justin," Brian said again.  Once more Brian was incapable of explaining.  He had spent his life refusing to do apologies or regrets or explanations, and sometimes he just couldn't say anything.  This was one of those times.



"Not fast enough to suit you?" Justin screamed at him.  "I'm sorry that I can't get my shit together any quicker."  A sob escaped Justin's chest. "I'm sorry that you need to get me out of your way … out of your life."  The sobs were more evident as Justin stuffed some underwear into his backpack. "I'm sorry you can't stand to have me around."



"Justin," Brian said standing at the bottom of the steps helplessly watching him.



"I'm such a fucking burden on you … on everyone.  I thought this was my home, but I guess I deluded myself about that as well.  Maybe Daph'll take me in for a day or two. At least she doesn't seem to mind, doesn't tell me to get out of her way … and she doesn't try to run my fucking life."  Justin gulped some air, willing himself to keep breathing. The constriction around his chest was almost more than he could bear.



"Justin …" Brian tried once more to diffuse the emotional plunge that he had just thrown his lover into.  How had everything gone so wrong? All he wanted was a little time to think. "I should go to a hotel. You stay here…"



"Don't!" Justin screeched.  "Don't try to make nice … or try to give me any other fucking excuse about why you want me out of here.  I'll do you this 'favor'! No problem! In fact I'll do you one better," Justin yelled as he headed for the door.



"Justin, please."

"Don't you want to know what the bigger favor is, Brian?  Well. I'll tell you! I'm not fucking coming back!"



With that Justin slammed the loft door behind him and ran down the stairs as fast as his feet would carry him.  The tears in his eyes made his run rather precarious and he almost managed to fall down the last flight of stairs.  Somehow he regained his footing in time and shot out into the cool night air.



He stood for a moment gasping for breath and trying to muffle his sobs.  Once he had a bit more control of himself he loped down the street towards the bus stop that would take him to Daphne's and away from what he had thought was his home.



Brian winced as the loft door slammed shut.  He knew he should go after Justin. He grabbed the door and pulled it back.  Justin had already disappeared. Brian had always said that you should never chase after anybody.  He wanted to go get Justin, comfort him and tell him that it would be all right, but he couldn't. His feet wouldn't move, just like his voice hadn't been able to find the words to explain to Justin when he was still there.



Brian slowly pulled the door shut.  "Fuck!" he yelled at the empty loft.  He had made another colossal mess of everything.  He had to do something. He grabbed the phone and dialed Justin's cell.  It rang a couple of times and then went dead. A voice came on saying that it was not in service at the moment.  "He shut it off," Brian thought to himself. "He saw it was me and he turned it off."



On the corner the bus approached.  Justin looked at the name on the phone.  He refused to talk to Brian, not now, maybe not ever.  He had to pull himself together. He was not going to be treated like this by anyone, Brian fucking Kinney included.  He climbed aboard the bus sticking the now deactivated phone into his pocket. He had a lot of thinking to do before he ever talked to his lover again.



                                                               -----



Brian paced the loft.  He had wanted some time alone to think and now he had it in spades.  He wanted to throttle Justin for running out on him. He wanted to kill himself for being so stupid and pathetic.



He had wanted some time to make sure within himself that he was ready to press Justin about wearing the rings.  He had felt that he needed to be alone to come to a firm commitment about it. He had known that one of the possible consequences of asking Justin to wear the ring was the boy's likely request to have a commitment ceremony.  Brian hated that kind of thing. That was really what he had to come to terms with. If Justin would agree to wear the ring, could he agree to a ceremony? He was such a wuss about this kind of hetero shit. He detested it, but he might have to do it … for Justin. But everything had blown up in his face just like all relationship things did.


Brian stared at the phone and willed it to ring.  There was nothing but silence. He walked hand on hip back and forth trying to think of something intelligent to do.  All he really wanted to do was cry. He had invested so much into Justin, into their fucking relationship, into their life together.  And a few poorly chosen words had blown that effort all to hell.



The bottle of Beam on the bar cart called to him and he had no reason to ignore it.  He poured himself a healthy glass of the brown liquor. He needed it. It went down without any problem and tasted exactly like another one.  He filled the glass again.



Hours later Brian had drunk himself into a stupor.  He had replayed in his mind the scene with Justin over and over again hoping to figure out what he had done wrong.  He had merely wanted some time to think, but Justin had taken it as some kind of criticism and had felt that Brian was forcing him out of their home.  In a way that was what he had done if he was honest with himself.



Brian had tried Justin's cell phone again and again.  Each time it went to voicemail and he couldn't think of anything to say that would make the boy come back.  He would hang up and try again later, hoping against hope that Justin would relent and answer himself.



After many drinks and no luck contacting Justin Brian had moved to the bedroom.  He had stared at the gold claddagh rings hanging in the sculpture. He had cursed them in every manner that he could think of, and still Justin wouldn't answer his phone.  Brian wished he had never bought those fucking rings. He wished he had never invested so much of himself in the relationship with Justin. He wished his life could go back to the way it used to be before he had met Justin.  And then he began to cry, great aching sobs that were ripped from the heart of him, for he knew that he didn't wish any of those things. The only thing he wished was for Justin to be lying in their bed next to him, for Justin to take him in his arms and tell him that it would be all right, for Justin to kiss him and tell him that he loved him.



He continued to drink after that.  He tried Justin's cell again and again to no avail.  The drunker he got, the more he thought he could say something that would convince Justin to come back to him.



He dialed the number one more time.  It rang and went to voicemail. He opened his mouth and again nothing would come out.  He made his jaw move and still no sound came. Finally he tried once more and his voice croaked out, "I miss you.  Please come home." Then he hung up feeling like a fool for begging and sounding like some pathetic drama queen.



After that he drank until he passed out on the bed.  Even the alcoholic oblivion was fraught with bad dreams and scary outcomes.  He wrestled around in the bed that he should be sharing with Justin. When dawn broke he awoke feeling and looking like shit.  He wondered what he could do all by himself on a lonely and empty Saturday that stretched out endlessly in front of him.



He contemplated drinking the day away, but somehow he had lost the taste for liquor.  Last night's indulgence had only made him feel more worthless and it had given him a colossal hangover.  He rarely drank to the point of being drunk anymore, since he and Justin had been together this time. Things were always better when he was with Justin.  If only he were there now.



"Fucking shit!" he mumbled and hauled himself into the bathroom.  He turned on the shower and stepped in. He wished Justin was there with him.  The shower was one of their favorite places to fuck. He pictured Justin naked and dripping with water.  He could almost feel his presence there in the shower that they had shared so many times. His hand reached for his thickening cock and he jerked himself off as he imagined all the things he would do to Justin if only he was there.



Finally he climbed out of the shower and began to dry off.  He checked to see if by some miracle Justin had called while he was in the shower.  There were no messages. He should have just come right out with it and asked Justin to wear the ring, but he had been afraid.  He was a coward about being rejected, about not being enough for the boy.



That struck him funny.  He had always preached that there was never enough.  Justin had asked him why he couldn't be enough back in the days when Brian was still tricking.  Now Justin was enough. He was everything. It was Brian who was not enough. He just couldn't make the relationship shit work.



Brian didn't know where Justin had gone.  He had suggested Deb's or his mother's. He could try calling them, but he knew if Justin wasn't already there, there would be unanswerable questions.  He couldn't stand that kind of inquisition. He decided not to call. Justin would talk to him eventually. He had to.



He considered what he might do with his lonely and miserable Saturday and decided that he would like to spend some time with Gus.  He would have a much better time if Justin was with them, but he could use some of Gus' unconditional love right now. That's what he would do.  He'd go see Gus.



By the time Brian arrived at the Munchers', it was well into the afternoon.  He rang the bell and was greeted by Melanie's stony face.



"Gus is asleep.  Don't you ever call first?" she demanded.



He brushed past her hoping to find Lindsay who would be more sympathetic to his unheralded arrival.  Lindsay was in the living room folding some freshly laundered clothes.



"Hi, Brian," she said giving him the once over.



"I want to see Gus," he said.



"He's sleeping.  He should be up in half an hour or so," she replied.



"Can I go look at him?"

Lindsay looked up.  Rarely if ever did Brian come over to watch Gus sleep.  She knew something must have happened. "If you promise not to wake him, go on up," she said taking pity on him.  He looked hung over now that she paid more attention. She wondered what was going on. And where was Justin? Brian hardly ever went anywhere these days without Justin.



Brian made his way up the stairs.  He carefully opened the door to Gus' room and looked in.  The little boy slept on his back, one arm flung out to the side and the other folded up near his face.  He looked so peaceful. Brian moved quietly into the room leaving the door open behind him.



He sat down in the rocking chair next to Gus' bed.  He studied the face of his son. He looked so innocent.  Brian wondered if he had ever looked like that. Everybody told him that his son looked just like him, but he didn't think he ever had that look of peace and innocence that Gus had all the time.  His upbringing hadn't allowed for that.



Just then Gus smiled a bit in his sleep.  Brian smiled too, remembering.



"Brian," Lindsay said softly from behind him.  "What's wrong?"

Brian ignored her question.  "I was remembering something.  Gus is smiling. My grandmother used to say that when a child smiles in his sleep, he's talking to an angel."

"That's a lovely thought," Lindsay whispered looking lovingly at their son.  "Please tell me what's wrong."

"He's gone."



"Who?  Not Justin.  Oh no, Brian, not Justin.  What happened?"

Brian shook his head and didn't answer.  He continued to watch his son sleep. Finally he said, "He left last night.  We had a fight and he won't answer my calls."

"What did you fight about?"

"I wanted to ask him something."

"And did you?"

"I asked him for some time alone.  I wanted him to go to Deb's or his mother's for a couple of days so that I could think … alone."

"What did you want to think about?"

"Our … relationship."



Lindsay smiled to herself.  She had a bit of an idea how Brian and Justin's relationship had progressed and she could imagine several possible questions that Brian might have wanted to ask Justin.



"So why did you fight?"

"I couldn't explain why I needed the time alone.  He thought I was pushing him away, kicking him out of our home."

"I see," Lindsay said.  "I can understand why he might feel that way."

"You can?" Brian asked looking at her for the first time since she had come into the room.  "I didn't mean it to seem like that. I can't do this stuff. I'm no good at it."

"You're making progress," she told him.  "You've done very well for months now."



"And now I've ruined everything," Brian said sadly.



"You need to talk to him."

"He won't talk to me."

"Go find him.  Be brave and truthful with him, Brian.  You can fix it. I know you can. Don't continue to make both of you suffer.  He loves you and you love him." He glanced up at her again with a look of such pain on his face.  "If you have something important to ask him, go do it. Ask Justin."

"You think I should?"

"I know you should.  Think about what I've said.  I'll leave you alone with Gus for awhile until you make a decision."  Quietly she left the room.



Brian reached into the bed and took Gus' little hand.  The boy smiled again in his sleep and for the first time since Justin had left Brian smiled a bit too.  He'd go find Justin and ask him the question he was tormented with, and he vowed to make it work no matter what Justin's answer might be.

Chapter 27 - Go Away by Thyme

 

Go Away

Brian stood outside Debbie's door.  He hoped that Justin had gone there after their fight.  Otherwise, he would have to explain to Debbie why he was looking for Justin.  That was something that he sincerely wished not to have to do.



He grabbed the knob and opened the door.  Debbie and Vic were seated at the kitchen table having coffee.



"Brian," Vic said, "good to see you.  Come on in."

"Thanks Vic," Brian replied squeezing the man's shoulder.



"What are you doing here?" Debbie asked, her trouble radar pinging like crazy.  Why was Brian there, and without Justin? Something wasn't right.



"Just came to see how things are going," Brian said by way of explanation.  He knew now that Justin wasn't there or Debbie would have been all over him like white on rice about why he had hurt the boy.



"We're just hunky dory," Debbie replied.  "But you don't look so fucking great." Debbie had noticed the bags under Brian's eyes and that old familiar hung over look.



"I'm fine," Brian lied wishing he could beat a hasty retreat and try to find Justin somewhere else.



"Where's Justin?" Debbie asked pointedly.



"Doing his own thing."

"Oh?"  Debbie looked at him very skeptically.



"I better be going, got things to do," Brian said heading for the door.



"Thanks for stopping by," Debbie said.  "Next time I see you you can tell me why you really came here."

Brian glanced over his shoulder as he went out the door.  Debbie knew something was up, but she had let him escape thankfully.  Now he had to tackle Jennifer. That must be where Justin was. He wasn't looking forward to her scathing comments any more than he had Debbie's.  "Suck it up," he told himself. He had to make things right with Justin.



                                                               -----



On the short drive to Jennifer's Brian debated pulling over and simply calling.  He would be able to find out immediately by her reaction if Justin was there. If he was she would be either iceberg cold to him or irate.  That would also tip Justin off that he was looking for him, and make it that much harder to get him to talk to him if he was still refusing to do so.  Justin might even take off.



The best thing was to go to Jennifer's door and throw himself on her mercy.  She didn't hate him the way she used to. Maybe he could even get her to help him convince Justin to listen to him.



Brian pulled the Corvette over to the curb.  He was a few blocks from Jennifer's. He needed to think of what to say to convince her to let him in to see Justin.  As he thought about possible tacks to take with her, something else occurred to him. He pulled out his cell phone and hit Justin's number.  Maybe he had had enough time to cool off and would finally talk to him. Then he wouldn't have to talk to Jennifer at all.



He waited as the phone rang, once, twice, three times, four.  He was about to turn it off before it went to voicemail again, when he heard a voice say, "Hello?"



"Justin," Brian said quickly.  "Where are you?"

Justin ignored the question.  "What do you want?"

"I want to talk to you.  I …I'm sorry."



"I'd tell you that sorry's bullshit, but you already know that," Justin said wearily.



"No, it's not.  I really am sorry."

"You got what you want, Brian.  Just leave me alone."



Brian knew Justin was about to hang up.  "Please, please, Justin, don't hang up," he begged.



"Why shouldn't I?"

"I have to talk to you," Brian said desperately.



"Now you want to talk?  Why couldn't you talk to me yesterday?"



"I … I don't know.  I'm fucked up."



"You're fucked all right.  Now go away. Just leave me alone."

The line went dead.  Brian looked at the phone and wanted to scream.  Justin wouldn't talk to him. He wouldn't listen.  He wouldn't let him explain.



There was nothing else to do but confront Jennifer and make her let him in to see Justin.  He started the 'Vette and drove the short distance to Jennifer's condo. He parked in the street and walked slowly up to the door.  How was he going to make her let him see Justin?



He rang the bell and waited.  Suddenly the door opened and Jennifer said, "Brian?" seemingly totally surprised to see him.  Justin must not be there.



"Hi, Jennifer," Brian replied not knowing what else to say.



"What are you doing here?"

He couldn't think of a good excuse.  "Justin's not here?" he asked.



"No, what made you think he would be?"


"He said he might stop by and see you.  I needed to find him."

"Is something wrong?" she asked looking more intently at him.



"No, no," Brian replied.  "I just thought he was here, that's all."

"Did you try his cell phone?"

"Yeah, but he must have it turned off or the battery's dead," he lied.  "I…I better go and let you get back to what you were doing," he said ready to make a hasty retreat.



"Brian," she said as he turned away, "are you sure everything's all right?"

"Sure," he said quickly.  "Talk to you later," and he quickly headed back to the car before she could ask him anything more.



He glanced in the rear view mirror as he drove away.  He could see Jennifer still standing in the open doorway staring after him.  She knew something was up.



Justin wasn't at his mother's and he wasn't at Debbie's.  Where would he have gone? Then it hit Brian. He would go to Daphne's.  He had even said something about Daphne being willing to take him in. Brian vaguely remembered having dropped Justin off at Daphne's once or twice, but he wasn't exactly sure where her apartment was.  Justin had always told him where to go. He drove in the direction that he thought it might be. He thought he recognized some street names and turned the corner. Up the block was the building that he was pretty sure was where Daphne had her apartment.  He found a parking space and climbed out of the 'Vette.



He checked the names on the mail boxes and found what he thought was Daphne's.  He made his way up the stairs. He paused outside the door bracing himself for facing Justin.  He raised his hand and knocked. When no one answered he knocked again.



Suddenly he heard the locks being pulled back.  The door opened to reveal a none too happy Daphne staring angrily at him.



"Go away, Brian.  He's not here."

"Where is he?" Brian asked peering into the apartment and wondering if Justin was hidden within.



"He doesn't want to see you."

"Is he in the bedroom?" Brian asked.



"I told you that he isn't here.  He left a few hours ago."

"Where did he go?" Brian asked a look of fear crossing his face.



Daphne's resolve faltered when she saw that look.  "I can't tell you," she said firmly.



"Then you know where he is?"

"Brian, just go away.  He's very … hurt and he doesn't want to have to deal with you right now."



"Tell me where he is, Daphne.  I have to talk to him."



"I can't.  I promised him."



"Please, Daph.  It was all a big mistake."

"Mistake?"

"Yes, I screwed everything up … like I always do when it comes to … relationships."

Daphne heard the pain in his voice.  "I can't tell you where he is. I promised him, but come in if you like and tell me what happened."



Brian did not want to discuss what happened with anyone but Justin.  However, it seemed that only Daphne knew where Justin was and she wouldn't tell him.  Maybe if he told her the whole story she would take pity on him and help him find Justin.  He hesitated, debating if he could talk to her about such personal things.



"Come in," she said with some force, taking his arm and pulling him into the apartment.  "You are both miserable, so tell me what the fuck happened."



Brian was startled by her vehemence.  "I…I don't know whether I can…" He allowed his voice to drift away.



"You can … and you will.  Now sit down. I just made some coffee.  We're going to have some, and you are going to tell me the whole fucking story.  Do I make myself clear?" she demanded.



"Yes ma'am," he said knowing that he was trapped and praying that he could do this.



She poured some coffee and brought him a cup.  He took a sip and found it was already sugared.  He looked at her quizzically. "How did you know?" he asked.



"Justin tells me everything."

"No shit!"



"No shit."

"So what did he tell you about what happened … between us?"

"He said that you asked him to leave for a few days and wouldn't explain why."

"I explained," Brian said weakly.



"What?  That you wanted some time alone … to think.  How lame is that!"



"Pretty lame, I guess," Brian admitted shaking his head at his own stupidity.



"He was really afraid, you know."

"Afraid?  Afraid of what?" Brian asked.



"Afraid that you didn't want him anymore.  Afraid that you had found someone else. Afraid that you were going to start tricking again."

"I wouldn't do that to him," Brian said with a grimace.



"You fucking better not!  I know that you do it raw.  You have to keep him safe, Brian."

Brian stared at her.  Jesus, Justin did tell her everything.  "I want him safe. I'd never do anything to hurt him."

"You hurt him beyond words when you asked him to leave."

"But … that wasn't what I meant to do.  That's why I have to find him and … explain."

"Why did you do it?" she asked wanting to understand what had been going on in Brian's head when he had asked her best friend to leave.  She was very relieved to hear that none of Justin's worries seemed to be true.



Brian ran his fingers through the back of his hair.  He looked at her again and instinctively knew that if Justin trusted her so much, it should be safe for him to trust her too.  "Did he tell you about the rings?" Brian asked.



"Of course."

Brian glanced at her again.  He hadn't told a soul, but obviously Justin had.  It had been his friends, not Justin's, that they were keeping it a secret from.  "I'm surprised," he said. "It was supposed to be a secret."

"It is a secret.  I haven't told anyone."



"Did he tell you how he reacted when I gave them to him?"

"Yes," she said softly.



"That hurt me … a lot."



"I can imagine, but … he didn't really mean for it to turn out that way.  You took him by surprise."

"It took both of us by surprise, just like this time."

"What?" Daphne asked frowning at him and trying to understand what he meant.



"That's the reason I asked him to leave."



"What reason?  I don't understand what you mean."

"I wanted some time alone to figure out how to convince him to wear the ring.  It's time."

"That was your only reason for asking him to leave?" Brian nodded.  Daphne's mouth hung open in amazement. "You want to ask him to go public with your committed relationship?  That's why you needed some time alone? I don't get it."

"You know what his reaction was last time.  I was … afraid that if I didn't ask him the right way he'd do something like throwing up again.  And … and … I don't think I could stand that." Brian shook his head knowing what a mess he had made of everything.



"Brian," Daphne said softly.  "Brian," she repeated when he didn't look at her.  Finally his eyes met hers. "Is that the truth?"

"I don't lie," he said.  How could she think that, when he had laid himself bare in front of her?



"Justin says you don't.  But … but, if that was what you wanted to ask him, why couldn't you just ask?"

"I told you.  I was afraid of his reaction."

"But to ask him to leave.  He took it all the wrong way and thought you didn't want him anymore."

"I said I'd go to a hotel," Brian said in defense of himself.  "But then he grabbed his stuff and said he was never coming back."



"He doesn't intend to ever go back."



"He said that?  Never?"

Daphne nodded.  "He was very upset.  I've never seen him so … despondent."



"He wouldn't do anything crazy, would he?" Brian asked fear clearly showing in his eyes.



"I don't know.  I hope not."

"Where is he, Daph?  You have to tell me. I have to find him."

Daphne sighed.  "You better fucking fix this, if I tell you."  She stared at him waiting for him to promise that he would.



"I'll do my best, if … it's not too late."

"Don't say that.  I'll tell you what he told me.  You have to go get him."



"Where is he?" Brian asked a spark of hope now racing through him.



"He cleared out his bank account and said he was going to Phoenix," Daphne said.



"Phoenix?"


"Yeah."

"What's in Phoenix?"

"Dale … Dale Martinez."

Daphne could see the wheels turning in Brian's head as he tried to figure out why Justin would be going to Phoenix and who Dale Martinez was.  When the light dawned, it was clearly visible on Brian's face. "Dale … from Justin's course in New York. I think he was from Phoenix."

"You got it.  Apparently Justin has stayed in touch with him ever since the course.  He e-mailed him from here and Dale told him to come for a visit. Justin said he didn't want to be in the same city as you, so he was going."

"Fuck!"



"I told you he was really upset.  I don't think he's told anyone else, not even his mother.  I think he might decide to stay there. You have to get him, Brian."

"When did he leave?"

"It was a couple of hours ago.  He got a taxi to take him to the airport."



"Do you think he would still be at the airport?"



"It's worth a try," Daphne said.



"I'll do my best.  Do you know what airline?"



Daphne thought for a moment.  "I think I heard him say something about Liberty Air when he was calling about a flight."



"I'm gone," Brian said getting up.  "Thanks for telling me." He gave her a kiss on the cheek.



"You better not make me regret telling you," she called as he quickly ran out the door and back to his car.



He made it to the airport in under half an hour and found the Liberty Air counter.  They listed a flight to Phoenix that was scheduled to leave in forty-five minutes. Of course they wouldn't tell him if Justin was on that flight and he wouldn't be able to get through security to see if Justin was at the gate unless he had a ticket.  He made a hasty decision to buy a ticket on that flight and pray it was the one Justin was on.



He raced to security which looked skeptically at him because he had no luggage or anything else with him.  Finally they let him through after a thorough search and a little more of the metal detector wand than Brian cared for.  He wanted to ram it up the ass of the scrawny bitch that was wielding it. When they let him go, he ran down the concourse to Gate 26.



His eyes flashed around the seats in the waiting area.  There was no sign of Justin. His heart plummeted. He had guessed wrong.  Justin must be somewhere else, a different flight or a different airline. It was probably too late to catch him now.  Maybe he had already left. Brian felt a tear hover in the corner of his eye. He had failed.



Brian turned dejectedly to leave.  Suddenly he felt the hairs on his neck rise up.  Justin was nearby. He knew it to the core of his being.  He turned back and scanned the concourse. Down the long hall he saw a blond head moving through the people.  He held his breath. As the man came closer Brian could see that it truly was Justin sucking on a straw in a soft drink.  Brian's heart leaped in his chest. He moved behind a nearby pillar and watched as Justin found a seat in the lounge and continued to suck on his drink.



Brian turned behind the pillar and rested his head against the column thankful that he had found the blond.  Now all he had to do was figure out how to get him to stay, how to get him to come back to the loft. He wished he knew what to say to make everything right.  He was so bad at this kind of thing. He decided the truth was the only way to go, telling Justin every stupid thing he had been thinking and feeling when he had asked him to leave.  Maybe it would be enough.



He felt a hand tug at his sleeve.  He yanked his arm away and turned to glare at the mother fucker who had the audacity to interrupt his thoughts.  His eyes met Justin's and his heart skipped a beat.



"Are you fucking stalking me?" Justin demanded.



"How did you know that I was here?" Brian asked bewildered.



"I have Kinney radar," Justin said.  "The hair on my neck stands up when you are around."



"Me too."

"You too what?" Justin asked.



"The hair on my neck stands up when you're around.  I thought I'd chosen the wrong flight and was about to leave when I felt it.  You were coming down the concourse."

Justin looked at him like he almost didn't believe him.  "What do you want, Brian?"



"I need to explain."



"Explain what?  I'm leaving. I'll be out of your way permanently so you can trick and be a free agent and do whatever the fuck you want."  The hurt in Justin's voice and eyes was very evident.



"I'm sorry, Justin," Brian said sincerely.



"What happened to no apologies, no regrets?"  The accusation was clear and the bitterness palpable.



"It's a crock of shit," Brian said vehemently.



"What?"



"You heard me.  Most of that crap I told you is bullshit.  I realize that now."

"Well, it's too late, Brian.  Go away and leave me alone. I don't want anything more to do with you."  Justin turned to go back to his seat.

"No."

Justin looked back at Brian.  "What do you mean 'no'?"

"I mean I'm not going away.  I'm going to tell you what happened at the loft, how I'm a fucking pathetic excuse for a partner and how I truly am sorry that I hurt you."



"You're absolutely right," Justin said.  Brian raised his eyebrows at that statement.  "You are a fucking pathetic excuse for a partner and I don't want to talk to you about anything."

Justin turned to leave.  Brian grabbed his arm. "You have to listen," he said.



"I don't have to do anything and if you don't let go of me I'll call security."



Brian released him at that.  Justin again turned to leave sure that they were through once and for all.



"I love you," Brian said.  It was the only thing he could think to say.  He saw Justin hesitate.



"So?" Justin said turning to face him.  "What difference does that make when you treat me the way you did?  I can't do it anymore. I want something better."

"Please … please don't leave me.  I need you."



"I can't come back."  Tears had begun to form in Justin's eyes.



"And I can't live without you," Brian pleaded, tears in his own eyes.



"Why did you ask me to leave?" Justin demanded fighting back the tears and wanting to know.



"I told you that I needed some time to think," Brian said defensively.



Justin glared at him and turned on his heel.  Brian just didn't get it. He never would explain himself.  Brian watched him start to walk away. He took a breath.



"I want you to wear the ring," Brian said loud enough for Justin and several other people to hear.  A shiver ran down Justin's spine, but he didn't turn around. "I wanted to figure out how to ask you to wear the ring.  I was … afraid that you'd refuse again … and … I wouldn't have been able to stand it."

Justin turned then and looked at his lover.  "Why couldn't you have told me that at the loft?" he asked fighting back the tears.



"Because I'm pathetic.  I'm a coward. I'm useless."

"Then why would I want you back?" Justin asked with a crooked smile.



"Because you love me?"



"I do love you, but I can't keep doing this," Justin said the little smile disappearing.



"Give me another chance … please."

Justin was sure he had heard Brian say please more times in the last five minutes than he had said it in all the time that he had known him.  "Come and sit over here," Justin said making the hardest decision of his life. "I want you to tell me the whole story, and if you don't, we are finished."

"Okay," Brian agreed ready to grasp at any straw.



Justin looked warily at him.  He wasn't sure he wanted to do this.  He had made up his mind to leave Pittsburgh and Brian.  He thought that was the right decision, but he felt like shit.  He wondered if Brian would really explain himself this time. That would prove a lot.



Justin and Brian moved over by the window in a lounge that was now empty as the flight had just departed.  They sat down side by side. Brian reached out to touch Justin, but the blond drew away.



"We're just talking, Brian.  Nothing has changed."



"Okay."  Brian drew back and looked into Justin's eyes.  It was now or never.



"So get to it.  Tell me what the fuck you were doing asking me to leave our home."



"It's kind of hard to explain," Brian began.  He saw Justin tense up and was afraid he was ready to get up and leave.  "But I'll try to explain." He took a deep breath. "I've been thinking about the rings lately.  I look at them after we … make love. Sometimes I see you look at them too."



"So?"  Justin wasn't going to cut him any slack.



"I've been wondering for a while now if maybe it was time to start wearing them."

"You think we're ready for all the flak we'll get?" Justin asked obviously not believing that Brian was ready.



"I don't care about the flak.  I … want everyone to know that I love you and that we belong to each other … only to each other."

Brian saw Justin's clenched jaw relax.  His face softened. "You're ready to tell people that?"

"I'm ready.  I just didn't know if you were.  I was trying to think of all the things to say to convince you, but I didn't know what words to use.  I never say the right thing. Look what the fuck happened when I tried to ask for some thinking time."

"Did you really think you could come up with a way of asking me that would change the way I feel?"



Brian looked surprised at that statement.  "I am in advertising. I thought I could work up the perfect copy, the perfect campaign, and you wouldn't be able to refuse me."



"That's what you thought, huh?"

"That's what I thought.  Was I wrong?"

"You have no idea."

"You're right.  I don't." Brian stared at the floor thinking this wasn't going the way it should be.



"Brian, look at me, please."  Brian looked up. Justin's blues eyes stared into his heart and into his soul.  He wanted to kiss those lips and hold that slender body. He glanced away to hide the raw emotion.  "Don't turn it off."

"Turn what off?" Brian asked risking another look at his partner.



"Your emotions.  Don't you get it?  If you would just be honest with me, we wouldn't be in this mess.  Don't cover up what you're feeling. Don't you think I want to see the love and longing that was just on your face?  That makes everything we go through worthwhile."



"I can't help it," Brian said softly.  "I've always hidden my feelings. I had to.  I can't help myself."

"I understand that, Brian.  But you can help it. When I ask you to tell me the real story, just fucking tell me.  Don't give me some bullshit about needing space. Tell me what you're feeling."

"It scares me."



"What are you afraid of?"

"That you'll think I'm weak and pathetic and then you'll leave me."



"So is it better that I think you're cruel and a complete ass and leave you?"

Brian stared at Justin.  "Is that how I come across?"



"Pulleease!  You know you have the asshole don't-give-a-fuck persona down pat."



"But not to you."

"Sometimes that's how it appears to me too," Justin said softly.  "That's how it was at the loft."

"I'm sorry.  I didn't mean for it to come out that way."



"Why didn't you stop me … or come after me?"



"I'm here."



"Almost too late."

"Almost?" Brian asked hopefully.



"Christ, Brian, I thought we had gotten past a lot of this crap."

"We have, but then I find new ways to screw up."

"At least you understand the problem."

"But I can't fix it."

"You can if you want to."



"Will you give me another chance?"

"I don't know.  It gets harder and harder."



"Please?"  Brian looked as pathetic as he could.



"All right, but you have to talk to me.  Say it … now."

"I will talk to you," Brian promised dutifully.



"Okay," Justin sighed, "we'll give it another go."

"Can I kiss you now?"



Justin nodded and found himself crushed against Brian's body, his lips locked in the most passionate kiss.



"Stop.  Stop!" Justin moaned pushing Brian away.  "We can't do this in the airport."



"What if we did it in Phoenix?"



"What?"



"You have a ticket to Phoenix.  I have a ticket to Phoenix. Let's go away and really spend some time alone together.  I promise to talk."

"You do?" Justin asked with a grin.



"I do."

"Did we just get married?"



Brian made a face.  "I think we've been effectively married for quite awhile now, but we still need to talk about the rings."

"They're making the last call for our flight.  Let's go. We can talk and maybe settle this in Phoenix."



"Anything you want, Sunshine," Brian said holding Justin's hand.



"Let's go."  Justin picked up his bag.  Hand in hand they made their way to the gate.

Chapter 28 - Desert Vacation by Thyme

 

Desert Vacation

Brian and Justin settled into their seats in coach.  They were several rows apart, but the flight wasn't full and the flight attendant had agreed to see if they could move closer together after the plane took off.



Justin craned his neck over the back of his seat.  He could see Brian sitting on the aisle about five rows behind him.  Brian gave him a goofy little grin and shrugged his shoulders. Justin's heart melted a little more.  He hoped he had made the right decision when he had agreed to go to Phoenix with Brian. He loved the big oaf, almost too much, but sometimes like the last few days he wondered if they were ever meant to live together.  It seemed too complicated, too hard, too unbearable when it all fell apart.



Brian settled into his seat cursing that he didn't shell out for first class.  But when he had bought the ticket he had really had no intention of getting on the plane.  He had merely wanted to be allowed through security so that he could find Justin and convince him to come home.  When he and Justin had met face to face, Brian had to admit that he had been taken aback by the bitterness in the boy.  He didn't think he had done anything so bad when he had asked Justin to leave so that he could have some time alone to think, especially at the moment that he had asked.  Justin had apparently read a lot more into it. He was ready to leave Brian permanently, to leave Pittsburgh, even to leave the state.



Brian shook his head.  He had promised Justin to talk, really talk, when they got to Phoenix.  He hoped he could do that. He prayed he could do that. He realized now how much depended on that talk, on always talking to Justin about his life … no … about their life and their future.  He had finally understood that Justin wasn't so much angry about Brian asking him to leave as he was angry and hurt that Brian wouldn't tell him the real reason that he wanted him to go.



He was going to have to tell Justin what he thought about the rings and why he wanted them to wear them.  He would have to abide by Justin's answer whatever it turned out to be. He knew Justin didn't want to hurt him, but the boy had become so important in his life.  He could only hope for the right answer from his partner.



Hope!  He didn't know when he had started to hope for things in his life, only after he had met Justin that was for sure.  Hope had never been part of his way of life before that. He had always grabbed what he wanted and made it happen. Hope had never had anything to do with it.  Until Justin! Justin had opened a whole new world of possibilities to him – things to hope for and plan for … together.



Brian shifted uncomfortably trying to find a way to ease the pressure on his knees from the too short space he was in.  He glanced up and noticed that Justin was looking back at him again. He smiled and Justin beamed at him. He probably understood that Brian was uncomfortable and was trying to give him encouragement.  Justin knew him so well, most of the time.



The plane taxied to the end of the runway.  They would take off momentarily. Maybe then he could sit with Justin and hold his hand.  He needed to touch him. To know that his lover was so close and yet so far up the aisle and out of reach was almost unbearable.  Brian frowned. Christ, he had become a lesbian! He was pathetic. But the funny part of it was that he really didn't care. Justin's hand in his would make everything all right.



Finally they took off and as soon as the seat belt sign went off, the flight attendant signaled to Justin to come back.  The attendant had moved someone who wanted an aisle seat to Brian's spot and convinced the other person in that row to move up to Justin's seat.  Brian and Justin had a row all to themselves and an empty seat to boot. That meant that Brian would have some place to put his long legs.



Justin brought his backpack with him as he joined Brian in their new seating arrangement.  Brian stood up and allowed Justin to take the window seat. He slid in beside the boy claiming the hand that he had been longing to hold.



Justin smiled at him.  "What are you going to do for clothes?" Justin asked practically.



"I'll buy whatever I need," Brian replied staring into Justin's eyes.



"Where will you stay?"



"Where will I stay?" Brian repeated looking puzzled.



"That's what I said."

"Why with you!"



"I'm staying with Dale.  He doesn't know you're coming and I doubt he has room for another person."

"But…"



"But what?"



"I thought we'd stay together," Brian said looking pathetic.



Justin stifled the giggle that welled up, but Brian caught the tail end of it and gave him a swat.  "Asshole," he said with a grin.



"You deserved it," Justin said bluntly.



"Yeah, I guess I did."



Justin smiled again.  He liked it when they could joke with each other.  They really did have a good time together … most of the time.  He wished they didn't have to fight. He wished Brian could be more open.  A sigh escaped his lips.



"What?" Brian asked looking quizzically at him.



"I was just thinking that it would be great if we could always have a good time together.  We often do, but then we fight."

"I think you have to take the highs with the lows," Brian said philosophically.



Justin looked at him.  "Aren't you the philosopher today?"



"I try."

"I know you do," Justin said raising Brian's hand that held his, their fingers entwined, and he kissed the back of Brian's hand.



"I'm sorry," Brian said barely above a whisper.



"I know.  I'm sorry too."

"What are you sorry for?" Brian asked eyebrows raised.



"I shouldn't have flown off the handle and run out."

"You thought I wanted to get rid of you," Brian said sadly.  "I never want to get rid of you."



Justin looked into the hazel eyes and smiled.  He shifted in his seat. "How much longer is this flight?"



"Why?"



"My cock is hard as a rock and I want you so bad I can taste it."



Brian chuckled deep in his throat.  Justin saw him shift in his seat and knew the effect his words had had on the man.



"We always had the sex part down pat."

"Still do."

"We could use one of the restrooms," Brian suggested.



"I don't think so," Justin replied.



"Why not?"

"I … I think we should wait till we get on the ground and have our talk."



"Didn't you just say your cock was hard?" Brian asked rather sarcastically.



"Yes, but that doesn't mean I have to act on it," Justin replied.



"Oh yeah?"



"Yeah."

Brian shook his head.  He could tell Justin wasn't really over what had happened.  The blond was going to make him pay in more ways than one.



"Do you want to talk now?" Brian asked hoping maybe they could get things settled and then retire to the restroom for a little needed relief for each of them.



Justin rubbed his temples and shook his head slowly.  "Let's wait till we're on the ground."

"Are you getting a headache?" Brian asked noting that Justin continued to rub his temples.



"A bit.  I haven't had much sleep since I left the loft," Justin admitted.



"Here, lie down.  Use my lap for a pillow."  Brian folded up the moveable arms of the seats.



Justin slid over and laid his head in Brian's lap.  He turned on his side his face away from Brian and drew his knees up so that his legs rested on the two empty seats.  Brian caught the flight attendant's attention and mouthed "pillow and blanket". The woman brought him one quickly. He slid the pillow under Justin's head on his lap and flipped the blanket over the boy making sure he was covered.  Brian's arm fell protectively over Justin to make sure he didn't roll off of the narrow seat. He heard Justin let out a breath, and then he was pretty sure his partner was asleep.



Brian looked down at the slender body on his lap.  He had some time to think while Justin slept. He wanted to be sure about what he was going to say to Justin.  He began to run it all through his head.



Suddenly the bell bonged indicating that they were preparing for landing.  The flight attendant announced that all seats were to come to the upright position and seatbelts needed to be secured.



Justin stirred as the level of noise and movement had increased and the binging sound interrupted his sleep.  "Are we landing?" he asked sleepily.



"Soon.  Do you feel any better?"

"Much," Justin replied sitting up and stretching.  "You make a good pillow."

"Just one of my many talents," Brian said with a grin.  "You need to buckle yourself in."

Justin did up his seatbelt.  "I can't believe I slept the whole flight."



"You needed it."

"I guess I did."



"Is Dale meeting you at the airport?"

"I think so.  I phoned him before I met you at the gate."



"Are … are you going home with him?"

"Do you want me too?"

Brian flashed back to Justin's question about whether it would make any difference if he stayed or not.  "I want you to stay with me," Brian said firmly.



Justin smiled at him as the plane touched down.  "Done," he said.



"You're not going to give me any more flak?" Brian asked.



"I didn't say that," Justin said with a knowing grin.  Brian groaned. "But how are we going to talk if we're not in the same building?"



"Good point."


"I always think ahead."

"Do you now?"  Justin looked at him.  "What are you going to tell Dale?"



"That I'm giving you another chance.  He wanted me to do that before I came out here, but I wouldn't listen to him."

"Why would he want you to give me another chance?"



"For some unfathomable reason he seems to like you and he thinks that you wouldn't intentionally hurt me."



"He does?" Brian asked looking a bit strangely at Justin.



"Seems you had arranged a protection team for me when I was in New York, and Dale was a big part of it."



Brian groaned.  "Busted," he said.



"Busted," Justin agreed with a grin.  "But I forgive you. That was a scary time with Noel."



"I was worried about you."

"I know.  I wish you could talk to me though before you did some of these things."



"And you would have refused, told me to mind my own business, and that you were fine and could look after yourself," Brian declared.



"Probably," Justin admitted.  "I don't like being treated like a child who needs looking after."

"I don't mean for it to seem that way, but I worry.  I wanted to protect you."

"And I make that difficult."

"In spades."

"Asshole," Justin grinned as the seatbelt sign went off and they got ready to disembark.



                                                            -----



"Justin!" Dale called and was swept into a hug by the blond.  "Brian?" he added as he saw Brian over Justin's shoulder.



"In the flesh," Brian stated.



"What are you doing here?" Dale asked looking from one to the other.



"I caught him at the airport and made him let me come too," Brian explained.



"He was so pathetic that I couldn't refuse," Justin added.  Brian scowled at him and then grinned.



"Well, I'm glad.  I told him to talk to you," Dale said.



"We still have some more talking to do, Dale," Justin began.  "I think I'm going to stay with Brian if you don't mind.



"I think that's a very good idea," Dale said with a smile.  "Have you got any place in mind?"

"This was kind of spur of the moment," Brian said.



"How long are you going to stay?" Dale wanted to know.



"Until I can convince him to come back with me," Brian stated.  "I hope a week will be long enough."


"A week?" Justin asked.  "Can you spare that much time away from work?"



"More if I need to."

Justin beamed at his partner.



"If you're staying for a week," Dale began, "there's a nice resort out near me in Scottsdale.  There's the usual hotel chains here in town of course."

"A resort might be nice.  What's it called?" Brian asked.



"The Scottsdale Princess."

Brian and Justin both grinned.  "That's it," Brian said. "Can I call them from here and make arrangements?"

"Use those hotel phones over there," Dale said pointing to a bank of phones with direct links to various accommodations.



"Justin, why don't you go catch up with Dale?  I'll go talk to some people and meet you back here in fifteen minutes."

"Okay," Justin said and he and Dale moved away to find someplace to talk.



Brian watched them go and then went to the bank of phones.



When they returned about a half hour later, Brian was seated in the waiting area reading a newspaper.



"Decided to come back to me, did you?" he said with a smirk.



"Maybe," Justin said with a serious look on his face.



That wiped the smile off Brian's face.  "You are coming with me, aren't you?" Brian asked with a frown.



"Yes," Justin said and allowed a big grin to wash over his face.  He saw Brian visibly relax and allowed the grin to grow even bigger.  He liked this business of keeping Brian guessing. Usually he was a pushover for whatever Brian wanted to do, but Brian had hurt him and he wasn't over it just yet.  Besides he rather enjoyed these touches of insecurity that he had caused so far. It was an appealing side to Brian that he rarely saw. "Why didn't you come get me?" Justin asked.  "We were just down the concourse in the coffee shop."

"I wanted to give you and Dale some time to talk before I whisked you away and kept you all to myself."



"Is that what you're planning?" Justin grinned.  Brian nodded. "Well, Dale says he will drive us out to Scottsdale."

"That's very nice of Dale, but not necessary."  Justin looked at Brian wondering what that meant.  "I rented a car," Brian said by way of explanation, "and I have directions to the resort and a room booked, and they have some shops where I can get some clothes."



"Think you've got everything under control, don't you?" Justin asked.



"Everything except you," Brian said seriously.



"I'm glad you realize that."

"Ahem," Dale cleared his throat.  "I'm still here," he said weakly.



"Sorry, Dale," Justin said quickly.  "Do you mind if I go with Brian?" Dale shook his head.  "We have to get some things settled." Brian didn't much like the way Justin phrased that.



"Call me in a couple of days when you come up for air," Dale said with a smile.  Brian grinned back but one look at Justin's face caused him to remove the grin very quickly.



"If I don't like the way things are going," Justin said, "can I call you and come stay with you?"



"Of course," Dale replied, "but I certainly hope that doesn't happen."



"Me too," Brian said.  "Thanks Dale."

"I'll call you in a couple of days regardless of what happens," Justin promised.  He gave Dale a final hug and the young man left to find his car.



"Are you ready to go?" Brian asked.



"I guess."

"Justin, are you all right?  You seem … funny."

"I have to tell you, Brian, that I'm not too sure about all this.  I hope we can come to an understanding, but I … I don't know."



"We can," Brian said more forcefully than he really felt.



"I don't know," Justin repeated.



"Come on," Brian said taking him by the elbow.  "Let's go get the rental car and I'll try to show you that you made the right decision."



They drove through Phoenix following the map and the instructions that Brian had been given.  The SUV hummed along and they quickly found themselves heading out of the city into more obviously desert conditions.  Buildings had more and more land between them. They passed a couple of resort type hotels.



"How much farther?" Justin asked.



"I think another mile or so," Brian said.



"Oh," Justin said.  "Look."

"What?"



"That sign just said Taliesin West.  Isn't that Frank Lloyd Wright's home?" Justin asked.



"Yeah, I remember reading about it.  They have tours," Brian replied.



"I'd like to see that," Justin said.



"I've always admired his work," Brian said.  "Maybe we could go one day while we're here."

"I'd like that," Justin said with a smile.  "I wonder if it looks anything like the Guggenheim."

"I don't think so," Brian said.  "More like Falling Water perhaps, but without the water in the desert."



Justin glanced over at Brian.  They did have a lot of interests in common and they discovered more all the time.  Justin knew that Brian had a great sense of style reflected in his clothes and the loft, but till this moment he hadn't known that Brian was interested in architecture, most notably the work of Frank Lloyd Wright.



"Are you staring at me?" Brian asked.



"I guess I was.  I was thinking that the more I know about you the more there is to know."

Brian snorted.  "I could say the same."  Justin smiled back at him.  "Here we are," Brian said suddenly nodding to a large sign that said Scottsdale Princess.  He turned into the long driveway that led to a complex of buildings. They followed the signs and pulled up in front of the hotel part of the resort.



"It's beautiful here," Justin said looking around.  He took in the gardens full of cacti and other succulents, so different from the gardens in Pittsburgh.  Brian went into the lobby to check in. Shortly they had their room and made their way up to it.



The room contained a king-size bed and all the amenities.  Justin went out onto the balcony to see the view. They overlooked the pool which looked warm and inviting even though it was technically winter.



"Want to go for a swim?" Brian asked coming up behind him.



"Sounds good."

"Did you bring a suit?"

"Dale told me too.  His parents have a pool at their house."



"I guess I'll have to skinny dip," Brian said with his tongue in cheek.



"Go right ahead," Justin replied.  He was prepared to call Brian on all his bullshit right now.



"I could go down to the shop off the lobby.  I'm sure they must have suits for people who come here unprepared."



"Sounds like a plan," Justin replied and went back into their room.



"Justin," Brian said.



"We can get another room with double beds if you … want."

"Thanks for the offer.  In all truthfulness I don't know whether I'm ready to have sex with you right now, but I know you won't force it if I don't want to."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, I think."

"I'm going to lie down for a bit.  I'm still tired," Justin said slowly.



Brian frowned and looked carefully at his partner.  Justin did look tired. This had obviously taken a lot out of him.  "I'll leave you alone to nap and go get some clothes. Let's go for a swim when I get back and then we can talk over dinner."



"Okay," Justin said.



Brian grabbed the keycard and left the room.  Justin watched the door close behind the man. They still had a lot to talk about and a lot of things to settle.  Justin was tired, so tired. He threw back the bedspread and kicked off his shoes. He left the rest of his clothes on as he climbed into the huge bed.



His eyes closed almost immediately.  His last thought before he fell asleep was about the dinner talk that Brian had promised.  That would decide so many things.

                                                          -----



Justin sat up with a jolt.  The sun seemed to be setting so he had been asleep for awhile.  He looked around to see if Brian had returned. There was no sign of the man.  He got up to check the bathroom which was also empty. He decided to pee while he was there.



That done he went back into the bedroom and walked out to the balcony.  He felt a strange buzzing in his ears. He stared out at the desert and could see a slim figure far out beyond the fence for the resort.  He could hardly make out the figure but it seemed familiar. He put his hand above his eyes to block some of the sun. He was sure it was Brian and he was walking away.



"Brian!" Justin called.



The man kept walking, probably too far away to hear him.  Something was wrong. What was Brian doing way out there? Why hadn't he come back to the room?



Justin felt panic race through his body.  It would be dark soon and Brian would be lost.  There were snakes and other bad things out there.  Justin's heart pounded in fear. He had to catch Brian before he went any farther.



He raced out of the room and impatiently pushed the button until an elevator took him to the lobby.  He raced through it following the signs to the pool. At the pool he gazed out into the desert and saw the tiny figure almost too far away to see anymore.  Justin began running as fast as his legs would carry him. He ran and ran and ran until his lungs ached and his heart felt like it was going to explode. He seemed to be no closer to the figure of Brian than he had been when he started.



"Brian!" he screamed with all his might.



"Justin … Justin!  Wake up. It's all right."  Strong arms came around him and he opened his eyes to see Brian's very concerned face staring down at him.



Justin gulped for air.  "You're here? I couldn't catch you.  I was so afraid."

"You were dreaming.  I'm right here. You don't have to catch me," Brian said holding on tight and rubbing Justin's back.  "Was it a nightmare … like you used to have?"


Justin shook his head.  He'd never had a nightmare like this one, although he had had many others after the bashing.  "It was a … bad dream," Justin said haltingly.



"What about?"



"You were walking out into the desert and I couldn't catch you.  I was afraid that snakes or the cold or something would get you."

Justin's breathing was slowing and he was more coherent.  Brian released him a little bit so that he could look into the boy's eyes.  "I'm here, Justin. I wouldn't go into the desert without you," he said solemnly.



"So we could die together?"



"We're not going to die … at least not right now."



"I wonder why I dreamed that now," Justin said shaking his head.



"Are you worried about our talk?" Brian asked with a frown.



"A little," Justin admitted.



"I'll do my best not to fuck it up," Brian promised and Justin snuggled back against his chest, not ready to be released from Brian's warm and steadying embrace just yet.

Chapter 29 - Desert Communication by Thyme

 

Desert Comunication

The maitre d' ushered Brian and Justin into a cozy booth in the hotel's main restaurant.



They had spent part of the afternoon at the pool, swimming, laughing, and goofing around.  Once Justin had regained his equilibrium from the bad dream he had experienced, he wanted to forget it ever happened.  Brian did his best to entertain him and keep his mind off it.



Brian ordered a bottle of wine and they toasted their desert adventure.  Each placed their order, Brian opting for steak and salad and Justin choosing a chicken breast stuffed with spinach and cheese.



While they waited for their meals, Brian decided it was time to start talking.  He knew Justin was waiting for him to prove that he really meant he would talk this time.  He had to show him that he was willing. He sucked in a deep breath.



"Justin," Brian said reaching across the table for Justin's hand.  Justin allowed him to take it and looked into Brian's eyes willing the man to carry through on what he had promised at the airport.  "I want to say again that I'm sorry for making you think that I wanted to get you out of my life. That was never my intention."

"Why don't you tell me what your intentions were?" Justin responded, his gaze never wavering from Brian's eyes.  Brian blinked and had to look away.



This was the moment of truth.  "I want you to wear the ring," Brian stated and then glanced up at Justin.



"I know that now.  You told me in the airport.  I want to know why you couldn't just ask me," Justin said softly.



"I told you."  Brian sighed. "I thought you might refuse … and I didn't think I could stand that."

"I could still refuse," Justin said staring at Brian.



Brian sucked in a breath.  That wasn't what he wanted to hear.  "I … hope not," Brian managed to get out.



"Brian, can't you just be up front about what you want and … what you feel?"



"You know I've never been able to handle feelings very well," Brian admitted.  "I've always pretended … no, believed that they didn't even exist, that they didn't matter, that they were merely words used to seduce … and hurt."

Justin looked at Brian's eyes recognizing the hurt and fear that he saw there.  He had no doubt that Brian was telling the truth, but that still didn't make it any less painful for him when Brian acted on those beliefs.  Justin sighed. "I understand all of that but …" Justin stopped not knowing how to explain what he wanted to say without hurting Brian more.



"But what?"



"I wasn't brought up the way you were," Justin began.



"No shit!"



"Don't be sarcastic, please?" Justin asked.  Brian looked sorry. "I'm trying to explain what happened to me when you asked me to leave.  My emotions are a lot closer to the surface than yours."

"I've noticed that.  Those allergies of yours keep popping up," Brian said softly and earned a little smile from Justin.



"I'm used to having my parents tell me that they love Molly and me, telling each other that they loved one another, showing affection."

"Even though some of it turned out to be bullshit?" Brian asked and immediately regretted his hasty words.



"Even though my father is an asshole, I don't doubt that he did love me … and may love me again," Justin said hopefully.  "I don't doubt that my mother and Molly do love me."

"I'm happy for you, Justin, although all of that is a foreign concept to me."



"My point exactly.  I'm used to hearing those words and … and you refuse to hardly ever say them.  Most of the time you seem to have to force them out when you do manage to utter them."



"You've always known how hard that is for me," Brian said.



"I do, and I usually make allowances, but sometimes when I ask you to tell me something and you can see how upset I am, I really need you to be truthful and tell me what I want to know even if it makes you uncomfortable or afraid, even if it's about your feelings."  Justin looked at Brian who was frowning. "Do you understand?"

"You're saying that no matter how … scared or upset I am, I have to be honest with you?"

"Right?  At those times you have to put me first."

"Put you first?"

"That's what I said.  I know it's a lot to ask, but that was what I needed you to do in the loft when you asked me for that time alone.  I thought of all the horrible reasons you might want me out of the loft and not one of them had anything to do with the truth, but … but you refused to put me first and tell me that truth.  You were consumed only with yourself … and your own fears."



"You're right, I was.  I had been wondering if I was being selfish wanting to press you about the rings, and now you're telling me that I was exactly that."

Justin nodded.  "I know it would have been hard but, Brian, we're having that exact same conversation now.  We could have had it at the loft instead of here in Phoenix … without all the drama."



"And who's the drama queen?" Brian asked with a touch of sarcasm in his voice.  He couldn't help himself.



"I'm the drama princess, you're the queen."

Brian snorted.  "It seems to me that you were the one who ran out this time."  He wasn't going to take all the blame.



"You're right, but how many times did I ask you for an explanation, and I mean a real explanation, not that crap about needing space."

"But I did need space," Brian defended himself.



"And that was more important than the … agony you put me through?" Justin asked with a grimace.  Brian didn't seem to be getting it. "Couldn't you see how upset I was?"

"I knew you were upset, but I needed to think … to get it together."

"So it's all right to let me fall apart in front of you while you're getting yourself together?" Justin asked the bitterness clear in his voice.



Brian looked taken aback.  He thought for a moment before he said quietly, "So that's when I should have put you first … above my own … feelings, when I saw how hurt you were?"



Justin forced a little smile.  Maybe Brian would get it. "That's right."

"But thinking of someone else doesn't come automatically to me, you know."

"I know … only too well."

Brian grimaced.  If anyone knew that it was Justin.  "How will I know when I have to do this?" Brian asked truly looking for an explanation.



Justin sighed.  "You don't have to do it at all … if it's too much of a fucking imposition for you."

"That's not what I meant," Brian said quickly.  "I really want to know what signals to watch for."



"You're kidding, right?"

"No," Brian replied confused at Justin's reaction.



"Jesus, Brian!  Look at me for fuck's sake!  If I'm crying and begging and screaming at you and walking out the fucking door, telling you that I'm not fucking coming back, don't you think it might be time to act?"

"Maybe."

"Fuck!" Justin said standing up.  "I'm leaving."

"Don't … please," Brian said standing also and drawing distasteful looks from the other people in the restaurant.  "Please sit down. I see what you mean and I shouldn't have said … maybe. I was being…"



"A smartass?"



"Yes."

"Do you see what just happened, Brian?  You made me mad enough to leave, but when you saw the result of your words you did something about it.  That's all I'm asking you to do. Watch for the signs when you have pushed me too far and then fucking do something about it."

"Okay."



"Just okay?"



"What more do you want me to say?  You know that I wouldn't have agreed to this, if I didn't plan to do it."

"Of course," Justin said ruefully.



"You don't believe me, do you?"



"I believe that you mean it … at this moment…"



Brian was sure Justin had been going to add something to that statement and had stopped for some reason.  "What else were you going to say?"



"That … that you may think you will do it, but when the occasion arises you may not."


"Oh, ye of little faith."


"And much experience."

Brian grimaced.  He knew Justin was right.  "All I can do is say that I'll try."



"I understand that, but I'm holding you to the really trying part."



"I've always been really trying," Brian said with a grin.



"Tell me about it," Justin said grinning back.



"Just ask anybody."

"Speaking of anybody, how did you find out that I was at Daphne's?"

Just then their dinners arrived.  That was a good excuse for Brian not to answer that question and to get a much needed breather from all the intensity of their conversation.  Justin seemed willing to let it go as he dug into his chicken pronouncing it delicious.



Brian picked at his steak and salad.  Nothing had really been settled and he was drained.  Conversations like the one they had just had were one of the things he hated about relationships.  It always seemed to come down to him having to change and he hated change. He liked the way his life was most of the time, especially since Justin had come into it.  But along with Justin had come said change. When Brian thought back on all the changes he had made since that night he had found Justin under the lamppost, it was hard to believe that he was the same person at all.  He took another small piece of his steak as Justin finished up his chicken.



"That was delicious," Justin said.  "I'm glad Dale told us to come here."

"Yeah."



"What's the matter?  You've hardly eaten anything."

"Not very hungry."

"Are you upset about what I've asked you to do?" Justin questioned, a look of concern on his face.



"You were very clear and concise and extremely civil," Brian said dryly.



"Fuck you," Justin said between clenched teeth.  "I thought I had gotten through to you."



"You did.  Don't get your knickers in a knot."



Justin relaxed a bit.  He knew Brian always had a sarcastic and caustic view of the world, and he hadn't asked him to change that.  He was sure the man wouldn't be able to change that even if he wanted to. Maybe he wasn't able to change what Justin had asked for either.  Justin unconsciously made a face as that thought crossed his mind.



"You never answered my question," Justin stated as he looked over the dessert menu that the waiter had left with them when he cleared their plates.



"Which question?"



"About how you knew I was at Daphne's."



"Didn't I?"



"Brian, don't beat around the bush.  Tell me. I want to know."



The waiter returned and Justin ordered an apple tart with crème fraiche and Brian asked for coffee.



"Well?" Justin sat with his arms folded on his chest waiting for Brian's answer.



Brian knew this was the first test of what he had promised only a few minutes ago.  "I thought you would go to your mother's or Deb's since that's what I had told you to do.  So … I went looking for you at both those places."



"You went after me?" Justin asked surprised.



"I came to the airport, didn't I?"



"I thought you had called Daphne and somehow convinced her to tell you where I was."

"It should be so easy."

"So what did you have to do?" Justin asked savoring the fact that Brian had had to hunt for him, and had actually done that.



"I went to Deb's first, and as soon as I walked in I knew you weren't there."



"How?"

"Deb didn't pounce on me."

Justin chuckled.  "Did you expect her to?"

"If you had gone there and told her what happened, she would have chewed me a new asshole in short order."



"Yeah," Justin giggled.  "She can be fierce."

Brian snorted.  "She knew something was wrong when you weren't with me, but she let me off easy for some reason.  I'm sure I'll pay later."

"You think?"



"She thinks I'm the Prince of Darkness most of the time anyway."

"You are."

"So what does that make you?"



Justin thought for a moment.  "Your handmaiden?"



Brian laughed out loud.  Justin thought he had never heard a better sound.  Brian shook his head thinking about all the connotations that Justin's choice of words could have.  Then his face sobered. "You know, Justin," he said seriously, "that's one of the reasons I … love you.  You are fun to be around."

"Thanks," Justin said sincerely a big grin on his face.



Brian felt his cock stir.  "Can we go back to the room now?" Brian asked.



Brian had just said he loved him without too big a hesitation and without any prodding.  How could he refuse?



"I think that could be arranged, but later you have to tell me the rest of the story about how you found me."

"I will," Brian said taking Justin's hand and pulling him out of the booth.



They quickly made their way through the lobby and up to their room.  Brian hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door and turned to his partner.  He took a step towards Justin.



"Wait," Justin commanded.



"What?"



"We haven't settled everything yet."

Brian groaned.  "But we did settle some things," he said hopefully.



"Yes, we did," Justin admitted.



"So can I have my reward for being a good big boy?" Brian asked looking longingly at his partner.



"Yes," Justin grinned and Brian took another step forward.  "But," Justin said raising his hand and stopping Brian in his tracks, "we are going to finish the rest of this later."



"Agreed," Brian gave in, his longing for Justin the overriding thought in his head.



Brian took another step forward and this time Justin didn't stop him.  He crushed Justin against his body and claimed his lips in a searing kiss that left them both breathless and dazed and oh so hard.



"I've missed you so much," Brian whispered in Justin's ear as he nibbled at the lobe.



Justin trembled at the delicious shivers that Brian's words and actions sent racing through him.  "I missed you too."



Brian lifted Justin's sweater over his head and pulled it off.  Justin was pulling at the buttons of Brian's new shirt finding them stiff and uncooperative.  Brian reached for the shirt and started to rip it apart.



"Don't," Justin commanded.  "You've only had the fucking thing for a couple of hours.  Don't wreck it." He continued to work with the buttons.



Brian groaned.  His rigid cock ached as it strained against his pants wanting to be free and then embedded in the beautiful blond.  He shoved his cock against Justin's groin looking for any relief as he ground against the boy. Finally Justin got the last of the buttons undone and shoved the shirt off Brian's shoulders.  Brian already had Justin's slacks pushed down over his ass and had been kneading the full buttocks as he pressed against him. Justin made short work of Brian's new trousers and they kicked the remaining clothes away from their feet.



Brian groaned again as he stepped back and looked at the naked Justin who stared back at him with raw lust in his blue eyes.



"Fuck, I need you," Brian gasped as he picked up Justin and carried him to the bed.  He dropped his lover unceremoniously on top of the bedspread and threw himself over the boy covering him with his weight and his hands and his need.



"Fuck me, Brian.  It's been too long," Justin gasped in response.



Brian rubbed against Justin eliciting more moans and some bucks from the body beneath him.



"Please," Justin moaned.



Brian loved it when he could make the boy beg.  But his own needs were becoming too pressing to resist.  He pushed himself up and fumbled for the bag he had placed beside the bed earlier in the day.



"What?" Justin asked.



"Lube," Brian said reaching into the bag which had been a little beyond his grasp.



"You bought lube?"



"Yeah, while I was shopping for clothes.  This hotel has all the necessities."



"Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?" Justin asked rather annoyed at the presumption of the man.



"I wasn't sure at all," Brian admitted.  "I was hoping though … and I didn't want to hurt you if … you let me…"



Justin melted at Brian's seeming insecurity and his concern for Justin's comfort.  "Then get to it," Justin ordered digging his fingers into Brian's shoulders and pulling him in for another long, hard kiss.



When the kiss ended Brian quickly smeared lube on his cock and used his slathered fingers to open Justin a little.  He couldn't wait any longer and positioned his cock and drove in. They both gasped at the tightness. It had been a couple of days.



"Are you okay?" Brian asked stopping and waiting for Justin to adjust.



"Yes, I'm right where I want to be."



Brian drove the rest of the way in.  He loved the silky heat of Justin's body and he stopped to revel in it for a moment or two.  The impatient blond beneath him bucked up against him wanting more.



"Easy, little one," Brian whispered.



"Not so little," Justin breathed.  "I'll show you later."

Brian chuckled knowing that Justin would probably do just that.  "And I'll let you," he said as he started to pump. He still had to be in control.



Brian rode his lover hard and deep.  As his orgasm built he felt the telltale jolts pass through his body.  Justin moaned beneath him. Brian caught a glimpse of Justin's purple cock dripping and slapping against him as the boy matched every thrust.



"Ahhh," Brian cried as the waves of pleasure shot through him and he poured his cum into the willing receptacle beneath him.  Justin moaned as he felt the hot fluid gush into the very heart of him. He bucked once more against Brian and his own orgasm ripped through him.  Stars exploded behind his eyes and he spun out of control.



When he came to his senses a few moments later, he felt Brian's weight atop him.  Brian's softening cock was still inside and he tightened his anal muscles not wanting it to slip away.  His arm came around Brian's back and he held the man against him never wanting to let him go.



If sex was everything, and Brian certainly believed that it was, there was nothing better than where he was right at this moment.  Justin's arms around him and his cock inside his lover and his body cradled against the man he loved. The world was perfect.



Justin opened his eyes and watched Brian as he lay on his chest sucking in air.  Sex was so important to Brian … and to him too if he was truthful. They had this part of their relationship down pat.  If only everything else was so perfect.



Maybe that was the difference between them.  This seemed to be enough for Brian, but he knew it wasn't enough for him, not anymore.  He wanted a true life with Brian, a partnership, to be treated like an equal, to be considered before actions were taken, to be cherished.  Justin snorted. What the fuck was he thinking? This pipedream with Brian was totally impossible. Hell, Brian didn't even know the signs of when he had pushed Justin over the edge and driven him away.  How could he expect the man to cherish him? He didn't cherish anything including himself.



Brian looked at Justin when he heard the snort.  He wondered what the blond might be thinking, but a look at the emotions that were playing across Justin's face told him that maybe he didn't want to know.



Brian shifted his weight off Justin and his cock slipped out.  He watched some of his cum drip out of the boy. He got up and went to the bathroom to get a cloth to clean them up.  When he returned Justin had rolled away from him. Brian wiped the cum away and cleaned himself. Still Justin faced the opposite wall.



"Justin," Brian said softly.  "Are you all right? I didn't hurt you, did I?"



"Not physically," Justin whispered still facing away.



"What does that mean?" Brian asked keeping his voice soft and non-threatening.  He wanted to know what had happened since he got up from the bed.



"I … you wouldn't understand."

"Try me.  I might surprise you."

"I…"  Justin said no more still staring at the opposite wall.



"Now who won't communicate?"



"It'll sound stupid and you'll make some sarcastic remark and then we'll be fighting all over again."

"I won't.  I … promise."  Brian had a feeling that this was something very important.  He wanted to hear it even though the likelihood was that he wouldn't like it.



Justin heard the sincerity in Brian's voice.  He wondered if he could tell him. It would sound stupid, but it was what he truly wanted and maybe this time…



"Please, Justin, don't shut me out."

Justin heard his own words, words he had used so many times on Brian.  "I was thinking about sex."



"Me too," Brian said with a chuckle.



Justin sighed.  "Do you want me to tell you?"



"Yes, go ahead and I'll shut the fuck up."

"I was thinking how perfectly we do that and wondering why everything else in our lives can't be as good."

When Justin paused Brian had to say, "Because I don't know how to do anything else as well as I fuck."

"There's more truth in that statement than you know," Justin replied keeping his eyes fixed on the wall and refusing to look at Brian.  "I wish I were more important to you, that you truly cared what I thought about things, that you cherished me … even a little bit." There he had used the word.



"I do care about you, what you think, what you feel."



"Right," Justin said with a tinge of sarcasm.  "Just like in the loft a couple of days ago."

"That was a mistake.  I didn't mean to drive you away.  I've told you that. I want you to wear the ring.  I want everyone to know that I … cherish you," Brian said feeling that he had to prove himself to Justin.



Justin rolled over when he heard that word.  He never thought he would hear Brian say it, but it still wasn't enough.  "What do you think that means, Brian?"


Brian thought for a moment.  "It's something that I'm still learning the meaning of," he admitted.  "I'm here with you now because I cherish you. What we did a few minutes ago was because I cherish you.  The … feelings that you inspire in me and the terror that I feel if I can't make you understand that, come from how much you mean to me.  I could find lots of other sex partners. We both know that, but it's not them I want. It's you. That's why I risked the wrath of Debbie and your mother to try to find you.  It's why I blew off work for a week or more, because I want to be here with you. I need you in my life. I can't do it without you. I don't want to do it without you. Doesn't that mean that I cherish you?"



"Maybe," Justin said with a little smile and then he launched himself onto Brian and kissed him relentlessly for several minutes.



When Justin let him up for air, Brian grinned.  "Did I get it right this time?"

Justin nodded as he shoved Brian onto his stomach and grabbed the lube.  It was time to show the man that he was not so little and give Brian another reason to cherish him.

Chapter 30 - Desert Adventures by Thyme

 

Desert Adventures

Brian awoke with light streaming in on his face.  There was a crack in the curtains that allowed the errant rays to find him.



"Shit!" he griped and turned over away from the light.  "Ouch!" he griped some more. His ass hurt. That little blond twat had worked him over good.  He grinned in spite of himself.



"What are you so grumpy … about?" Justin asked rubbing sleep from his eyes and then catching a look at Brian's face.



"You've ruined my ass.  I'll have to stay in bed all day to recover," Brian said trying to keep a straight face.



"You wish," Justin threatened.  "Today you are taking me sightseeing."



"I can't move," Brian protested.  "No sightseeing today."

"If you insist on staying here today, then I'll have to have your ass several more times," Justin threatened snuggling over into Brian's warm embrace.



"And that would be a bad thing because…?"


"Not bad at all, but I would like to see some of this area, since we're here."



"Okay, okay," Brian said kissing the top of Justin's head.  Last night had been quite a night for both of them. "We can go anywhere you want after breakfast," Brian promised.



"Could we drive up to Sedona?  They have an artist colony there and it's supposed to be so beautiful."

"If that's what you want," Brian conceded.



"I like being cherished," Justin said with a grin.



Brian groaned realizing that the balance of power had shifted last night.  Justin now knew he held all the cards. "Twat!"



"Be nice.  I promise not to take advantage of you … at least while we're out of bed."



"Thanks heaps," Brian said with a bit of sarcasm.



"We need to shower," Justin said suddenly.



"No kidding.  We are quite rank," Brian said sniffing all over Justin's rather crusty chest.



Justin giggled.  Brian decided he liked that sound so much he would do anything Justin wanted.  He had missed the giggles and joking around and even the talking. "Come, twat, we need to be went."

"Yes, master," Justin said getting up and heading for the shower.



Brian snorted.  He knew who the master was, and it wasn't him.



A couple of hours later they turned onto the road that led to the town of Sedona.  They crossed a river and drove alongside it among trees and huge red rocks. It was breathtaking.



They found a parking space and wandered through the myriad of galleries that made up the center of the town.  Justin oohed and aahed over the art work and the creativity of the people who had produced it. Brian looked at it skeptically thinking that Justin's work was much better.



Justin spoke to some of the artists who ran their own galleries.  He could engage them easily in conversation and then pick their brains about the latest trends in art or in their own specific work.  Brian marveled at how quickly Justin was able to talk to them on their level and they treated him like a new friend. Brian began to get bored and went to find a coffee shop where he got a latte and sat outside to watch for Justin when he finally decided to exit the gallery he was currently in.


Brian was halfway through his latte when he saw Justin step out of the gallery and look around with a worried expression on his face.  Brian was tempted to let him stew for a bit, but he didn't think that would be a good idea considering the fragile nature of their latest reconciliation.  He stood up and waved calling Justin's name. As soon as Justin realized where the voice was coming from his face lit up and he jogged across the square to Brian.



"I thought I lost you," he said coming up close to his man.



"You can't get rid of me that easily."



"Good," Justin said with a big grin.



"Do you want some lunch?" Brian asked.  "They make some good looking sandwiches here."



"That sounds great."



"You go get us something and I'll hold our table."



The restaurant was filling up quickly as it was just after noon.  Justin returned with sandwiches and began gobbling his. Brian took half of the one Justin had got for him and nibbled on it.  It was delicious. When Justin finished off his sandwich Brian handed him the other half of his and Justin attacked it after grinning his appreciation.



"I found something we can do after lunch," Justin said wiping the remnants of his sandwich off his face.



"And what might that be?"



"The last gallery owner told me about this spectacular spot just out of town that way," Justin explained pointing.  "I thought maybe I could sketch it … and you could be part of the picture."

"That's what you thought, was it?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"You don't want to?" Justin asked innocently.



"This is your day.  I told you you could do whatever you wanted."

"Thank you," Justin replied giving him a smile.  "Let's go."

They drove out of town and sure enough they saw a spectacular rock formation.  Brian looked over at Justin as he pulled the car into a safe area. The boy's eyes were huge and he was taking it all in, probably composing his picture as they got out of the car.



"Over there," Justin said pointing.



He grabbed his sketchbook and charcoals.  Brian followed like an obedient puppy dog.  He stood patiently as Justin looked at the formation from several different angles.



"Got it," he said.  "Can you sit up on that rock for me?" Justin asked batting his eyes at Brian and pointing to a large red rock.



"I can, but do I have to?"

"Please," Justin cooed.



"Fuck!"  Brian knew he had no choice.  He climbed up onto the rock. "How do you want me?"

"Naked would be nice," Justin grinned.



"I don't think so."

"When did you become a prude?"

"I'm not a prude," Brian protested, "But I don't want anything to get … burnt."



"Understandable, but disappointing," Justin pouted.



Brian groaned.  "Do you really want me to get naked?"

"You don't have too," Justin said looking downcast.



Brian groaned again.  "I thought you came out here to sketch the landscape," Brian protested, but he started to unbutton his shirt.  "You could sketch me in the privacy of our hotel room."



"But this is so much nicer," Justin grinned getting his supplies ready.  "And we always seem to do other things in our room."



Brian sat down on the rock tossing his clothes to Justin.  Justin found a spot in front of the rock and sat down cross-legged.



"Lie down," Justin requested and Brian sprawled out in all his glory.



Justin giggled.  "As tempting as that view is I'd like to do your behind."



"What?"



"Turn over and show me your butt.  "I think the rolling rocks and the lovely bulges of your butt will work nicely together."



"I don't have bulges in my butt," Brian harrumphed.



"You know what I mean.  Now stay still."

Brian lay on his side soaking up the sun.  He really hoped he didn't get burned, but he seemed to have little choice anyway.  He lay there basking in the warmth a bit like a cat in a sunny spot on the floor. The minutes passed slowly and he had almost drifted off to sleep when he heard Justin say something.



"What?" he asked without moving.



"I said I'm done.  You can get up now."



"No, please don't," a voice called.



"What the fuck?" Brian said turning over.  Two other artists were sitting behind Justin and sketching furiously.  "Get me my clothes!" Brian demanded.



"Could you stay there for just a few minutes longer?" the voice of a woman called.  "I'm almost done."



"I don't think so," Brian groused not liking that his butt was now the subject of several pictures, not just Justin's.



"Brian, stay there, please," Justin asked.  He had been looking at the work of the other artists.  "Their work is so good. I think you'll be pleased."

"How do you get me into these things?" Brian groaned but he turned back to his former position and stayed still.



"Thanks," he heard the woman say.



"Hurry the fuck up, and get me my clothes, Justin," Brian demanded.  He heard a giggle and thought about all the ways he was going to make Justin pay for this later.



After a few minutes Brian felt Justin lay his clothes across his legs.  He reached for his jeans and slid into them. He sat up then and looked at the man and woman who had been sketching him.  He hopped down from the rock and pulled his T-shirt and shirt on.



"Come look at their work," Justin called.



Brian walked over and looked first at the woman's sketch and then the man's.  They were both very good but no better than Justin's.



"You make a wonderful model," the woman told him.  "Are you a professional?"

"Hell no."

"He's my boyfriend," Justin volunteered.



"Oh," the woman said.  "You're very lucky."



"I'll say," the man who had been sketching contributed.



"Let's go, Justin," Brian said forcefully and tugged on Justin's arm.  They quickly made their way back to the SUV.



"You're not mad, are you?" Justin asked when they peeled out of the parking lot.



"Hell no, I can think of nothing better than having my ass spread all over the galleries of Sedona."



"Brian, no one can recognize you.  They can't see your face."

"But my ass is famous."



"Even more famous in the future," Justin said with a giggle.  "Besides I thought it was your cock that was famous."



"That too," Brian agreed with a little chuckle.  He wasn't really mad anymore. Justin was right that no one would be able to recognize him.  "Where to now?"



"I'd like to sketch along the river on the way out," Justin said hopefully.



"Without me in the picture?"



"Without you," Justin conceded.



Brian pulled up in a spot beside the river.  Justin immediately saw a composition that appealed to him.



"I'm going for a little walk," Brian said once Justin had started his drawing.



"Sure," Justin said absently.  He was engrossed in his work.



Brian walked along the river following the road and thinking about what had happened today.  Life with Justin was always an adventure. He grinned in spite of himself. He didn't much like the idea of his ass appearing in the galleries of Sedona but he knew he would do anything for Justin and the result wasn't really so bad.  He turned away from the river and walked into a passageway between the rocks on the other side of the road lost in his thoughts.



An hour later Justin finished his sketch and looked around for Brian.  There was no sign of him anywhere. He called Brian's name but no one answered.  He vaguely remembered Brian saying he was going for a walk. He wondered where the man could have got to.  He thought he remembered Brian heading to the right. He went to the SUV and tried the door. It opened and Justin saw the keys in the ignition.  He climbed in deciding that his best bet was to follow the river and look for Brian, maybe stop every so often to call in case Brian had left the road.



Justin drove for not quite a mile by the odometer with no sign of Brian anywhere.  He had pulled off the road a couple of times and got out of the SUV. He shouted Brian's name at the top of his lungs turning in all directions.  There was no response. He decided he would go a bit farther but if he didn't find Brian by then he was going back to the sheriff's office in Sedona.



A bit farther down the road Justin stopped again and got out to walk around and call.  He didn't think Brian would go this far without turning around to come back. Where could he be?  No response came to his repeated calls. He returned to the SUV and turned it around determined to drive slowly back and check any possible trails that Brian might have taken.



He stopped once to look down along the river wondering if Brian might have gone down there.  Nothing was visible but rocks and water and scrubby trees. He continued back along the route when he suddenly saw a gap in the rocks leading out into the desert.  It hadn't been visible when he came the other way because of the large outcropping which effectively blocked the view of the entrance from the other direction. He pulled the SUV into the opening judging that he could probably get it through if he had too, but he walked up ahead to see if he could see anything.



Far out into the desert Justin spotted a figure.  "Brian!" his mind screamed and then his voice followed.  Brian, if it was him, made no acknowledgement. Justin wondered if he was too far away to hear or if it really wasn't his partner out there.  The dream he had had flashed through his mind and he knew what he had to do.



He climbed into the SUV and switched to four wheel drive.  The SUV managed to squeeze between the rocks. Justin drove as fast as he could toward the retreating figure.  The terrain was bumpy and rocky but he took each jolt in stride feeling nothing but the need to get to that solitary figure.



Gradually the figure got larger as Justin bounced and lurched toward it.  Finally the man heard the noise of the vehicle and turned. Justin saw Brian's beautiful face and Justin's smile rivaled the sun that beat down upon them.  He slammed the SUV to a halt and leaped out. He ran the rest of the way towards Brian and threw himself into the arms of the man he loved.



"Sunshine," Brian gasped as they clung to each other.  "How did you get behind me?"



"What do you mean?  You were heading away from the river."



"I … was?" Brian asked looking around.  "I was following some vultures circling for awhile and I guess I lost my bearings.  I thought I was heading back to you," Brian said shaking his head.



"It was just like my dream," Justin explained his heart rate starting to slow to some semblance of normal.  "I screamed at you, but you couldn't hear me."

"Thank you for coming to get me," Brian said softly.  "I didn't even know I was lost. I was heading for those rocks over there."



"Let's get out of here," Justin said taking Brian's hand and leading him back to the SUV.



"Do you know the way?" Brian asked.



"I came straight after you, so we just have to go back the same way," Justin said with a smile.



"You can drive," Brian said.  "I think I've had enough sun and adventure for one day, my little savior."

                                                            -----



Brian awoke with Justin cradled on his chest.  They had returned to the hotel just after dark, ordered room service and fucked the night away.  Sometime during the night Brian had awakened with a start, dreaming about being lost in the desert.  He had pulled Justin onto his body and held the slim frame until the fear departed and he could return to hopefully a more peaceful sleep.  There had been no more bad dreams, at least not ones that he could remember.



Brian watched his lover sleep feeling the steady rise and fall of Justin's breathing.  He kissed the top of the blond head that nestled under his chin. He wondered what might have happened to him in the desert yesterday if Justin hadn't come after him.  A shudder ran through him and he decided he didn't want to think about that anymore.



His hand slithered underneath the covers and he caressed Justin's back and arms.  He felt the boy let out a sigh of satisfaction and shift slightly. That gave him a chance to take hold of Justin's morning hard-on which had been pressed against his leg.  He stroked it leisurely seeing Justin's mouth fall open in response. He stroked a little harder and heard a moan escape those luscious lips.



Brian smiled.  He tossed back the covers and slid down the warm body so that he could get his mouth even with Justin's now fully erect cock.  He licked up and down the shaft and heard some mewling sounds escape his lover. He finally sucked the mushroom head into his mouth and slid his tongue across the slit.  He felt Justin grab his hair and gasp.



He released the tasty tidbit from his mouth and asked, "How long have you been awake?"

"Since the covers disappeared," Justin said with a grin.  "But don't let me interfere with your playtime."

"You make me sound like Gus," Brian said.



"Nothing like Gus at all," Justin said rolling onto his back and stretching luxuriously.  "Please continue what you were doing before you were interrupted."



Brian grinned and nuzzled in Justin's pubic hair sniffing and blowing.  He heard Justin giggle. He took hold of Justin's cock and licked it like a popsicle eliciting the correct moans and gasps from Justin.  He dove down the length of it sucking it down his throat and humming. Justin arched up and cried out. Brian worked his lips up and down sucking and releasing, tugging and licking, rough and gentle.



He felt Justin wrap his fingers around a handful of his hair.  It hurt but not enough to make him stop. He bobbed up and down holding Justin's hips in place.  Justin's moans became louder and more frequent. He was close. Brian sucked the cock all the way in and swallowed around it.  He was rewarded with a loud cry from Justin and the man's creamy essence pouring down his throat.



He sucked every last drop before releasing Justin's softening dick.  He crawled back up the boy's body and kissed Justin's gaping mouth releasing some of his own spunk into the warm orifice.



They kissed for awhile and then Justin opened his eyes.  "What brought that on?" he asked.



"It was a thank you for rescuing me from the wilds of the desert."

"Oh."

"And just a little taste," and Brian winked at him, "of how much I cherish you."

"You are amazing," Justin gushed.



"I am?"



"You are."



"You're just overwhelmed by my new business."



"What new business?" Justin asked with a frown trying to figure out what Brian was talking about.



"I'm thinking of starting a morning wake up service.  I thought maybe I'd call it "Blowjobs R Us". What do you think?"


"Only if you limit yourself to one customer," Justin stated.



"And who would that be?"

"You're looking at him."

"I think I could be persuaded to sign an exclusive contract."

"I thought you already had," Justin said with a smirk.



"Point taken," Brian admitted.  "Time to get up, little boy."



"Why?"



"We're going to Taliesin today."

"We are?" Justin asked with a grin.



"I talked to the concierge yesterday when you were gobbling breakfast.  Today is one of the days it's open for tours, so I signed us up."

"Thanks," Justin said truthfully.



"Nothing to thank me for.  I want to see it too."

They spent the morning taking the tour of Taliesin, wondering at the mind of Frank Lloyd Wright who could create such a place which would have been built in the middle of nowhere at the time of its construction.  Brian kept ducking his head at all the low ceilings which were a trademark of Wright's work. When you exited from a low-ceilinged room, you usually stepped into a vast space, made to seem all the bigger by the confined space you had just left.



When they went back to the SUV Justin was bursting with enthusiasm.  "I wish I could be an architect and build something like that," he gushed.



"Your artwork will live on long after you're gone," Brian stated.



"You think so?"

"I know so.  You're very talented."

Justin beamed at him.  "I bet the pictures of your dick will be considered the best of my work."



"That goes without saying.  You know it so well."

Justin giggled.  "Which room did you like best?"

Brian thought for a moment but it was really no contest.  "I liked the drafting room with all those tables ready for action."

"What kind of action are you talking about?" Justin asked with a suggestive smile.



"Hmm," Brian said, "I was thinking about all the serfs at work, but you have added a whole new level of possibilities."



"Glad to be of service."



"I'll hold you to that later."

"Where are we going?" Justin asked as they sailed past the entrance to the hotel.



"It's a surprise."



"Ooh, I love surprises."



"Keep your undies on, princess," Brian admonished him.



Justin made a face at the term princess, but was too pleased by Brian taking him to a surprise place to really care.  "Hint?" Justin asked hopefully.



"No hints.  It'll spoil the surprise.  In the meantime what was your favorite room at Taliesin?"

"Hm, I liked the orientation room.  It was kind of like sitting inside a giant keg of beer."



"Yeah, that was cool."



Justin looked at Brian out of the corner of his eye.  The man had been so agreeable and so appreciative since their talk.  He wondered how long it would last. When he told him what he wanted to do tomorrow that would be a good test of how far Brian had really come.



"Why are you studying me like that?" Brian asked his eyes still apparently on the road.



"Just … thinking," Justin replied.  "We still have to talk about the rings."

"I know, but let's not do it yet.  Wait a day or two."

"Sure," Justin agreed.  "I'm in no hurry. I really like being here with you," Justin said sincerely.  He squeezed the top of Brian's leg feeling the need to touch his lover.



"I like it too … even when you put my ass on public display."

Justin giggled.  "You're not going to let me forget that any time soon, are you?"

"Not bloody likely."

"Hey, did that sign say 'Carefree'?"



"Yep."



"What's Carefree?" Justin asked as Brian turned off at the sign.



"Your surprise."

"What do you mean?"

"It's a town – very picturesque according to the concierge.  We have lunch reservations here at one-thirty which is just about now."

"Oh," was Justin's only reply.



Brian pulled into a parking lot beside a restaurant called Cantina del Pedregal.  "This is it," Brian said getting out of the SUV. "Luncheon awaits, oh cherished one."



Justin giggled and followed Brian into the restaurant.  They had a pleasant lunch following the recommendations of their host.  There was a guitarist playing Mexican music and they had quite a bit of tequila followed by much more coffee to sober up.  At four o'clock they thought they were ready to leave. Pepe, the owner of the restaurant, gave then a tourist map and suggested a route to go see the unique houses of Carefree.



Brian followed Justin's instructions as they traversed the route laid out by Pepe.  They were amazed at the houses that they passed. Many were built into the rocks of the desert.  Some were so modern and strange that they could have been part of a sci-fi movie. Some were unbelievably huge and others strikingly beautiful.



When they finally tired of searching out the houses, Justin thought they would head back to the resort.  Instead Brian took them slightly out of town to a drive with a sign saying Boulder Resort. Justin looked in awe at the amazing building as they drove in.  It was all curves and natural shapes seeming to be part of and yet spring out of the rocks it was surrounded by. They parked and entered the spacious lobby, all wood and tile and white stucco.  They followed signs to the bar and got a table.



Brian suggested they stick to beer after the tequila they had had at lunch.  Their table overlooked the pool which almost seemed like a pond in the middle of the rocks, except for the obvious clear blue water.  Everything about this place was exquisite.



"Wow," Justin said taking a sip of his beer.  "This place is incredible. I wonder how much it costs to stay here."

"If you have to ask, you can't afford it," Brian told him.



"I'm not sure I can afford the beer here.  You are paying, aren't you?" Justin asked.



Brian nodded and snorted.  "If I ever come back here, this is where I'd want to stay."

"Who wouldn't?"



"So, have you enjoyed your day of surprises?"

"Absolutely."

Brian smiled.  He was glad Justin had liked what they had done.  He had enjoyed it too. "There's one more thing before we go back to the hotel."

"What's that?"



"You'll see after we have another beer."



Justin grinned knowing that was all the information he was going to get.



When they finished their beers they walked around the grounds a bit before heading back to the car.



"I should have brought my sketchbook," Justin said gazing longingly at the rock formations."

"It's in the back seat," Brian replied, "but I have a better place for you to draw."



"What could be better than this?"

"You'll see."

They drove back into town Brian seeming to know where he was going.  The sun was setting but it only added more splendor to the rocks and buildings.  Brian pulled up in front of City Hall and handed Justin his sketching materials.



"Follow me," he said and proceeded around the building.



Justin walked alongside him wondering what they would see on the other side.  He saw some signs that said 'The Gardens'. And that was exactly what they entered.  It was a series of covered tables with desert gardens and a small amphitheater and rocks and benches to sit on.  Justin gazed around trying to decide what to draw first.



"Choose something where we can sit comfortably," Brian suggested.



They sat on the edge of one of the raised gardens and Justin got to work.  He was totally engrossed in drawing one of the gardens and the rocks inside it.  He didn't even notice all the other people who were arriving. Finally he flexed his hand which was beginning to tighten up from all the sketching.  He liked what he had done and closed his sketchbook.



When he looked around at all the people who had assembled, he raised his eyebrows asking Brian what was going on.



"They have free concerts here," Brian explained.



"You brought me to a free concert?" Justin asked in disbelief, stressing the word free.



"Tonight it's "Cold Shot and the Hurricane Horns", Brian stated reading from a piece of paper that he pulled out of his shirt pocket.



"What the hell is that?"



"A very good blues band apparently."



"The concierge?"



Brian nodded just as the small band came out onto the stage of the amphitheater.  They played a soulful tune that Brian said reminded him of some old Muddy Waters songs.  When they were finished that piece, a short man moved to the mike and introduced himself as "Small Paul" Hamilton.  He presented the other members of the group and they began to play again with Small Paul doing the singing. Brian and Justin listened and enjoyed everything they played.  The concert lasted a little over an hour.



As they drove back to the hotel Justin snuggled against Brian.



"Today was the best day," he stated kissing Brian's cheek.  "Thank you for everything."

"I'm glad you liked it," Brian said sincerely pleased that his plans had worked out so well.



"Only one thing … no … two things could make it better."



"And what would that be?"

"Food and … you."

Brian tried to wipe the smile off his face all the way back to the hotel, but he knew the stupid grin was still there every time he glanced at Justin who wore his own silly grin.  This would be the best day because he was going to fuck his little blond angel into next week and then maybe let him come up for air long enough to have some dinner. There was something about this desert air that he could most definitely get used to.

Chapter 31 - Goodbye Phoenix by Thyme

 

Goodby Phoenix

Justin was startled with Brian's reaction when he made his request the next day.  He had called Dale while Brian was taking his morning shower and had arranged to meet his friend after breakfast.  They were going to spend the whole day together.



Brian had agreed immediately.  At first Justin wasn't too happy about the quick acceptance of his absence.  He wondered if Brian had tired of them being together twenty-four/seven. Brian had allayed his fears when he explained that he wanted Justin to spend some time with his friend.  That was, after all, why Justin had come to Phoenix in the first place.



Brian decided he should call Cynthia and catch up on what was going on in the office.  He would find a computer that he could use in case he needed to log on and check his messages.  He might even do a little work.



Justin realized that Brian was being practical but also allowing him freedom to do what he wanted.  The man actually seemed to have heeded Justin's warnings and was putting his needs first. All that was left was their talk about the rings.



Justin and Dale spent the day eating and talking and looking at art.  Dale picked up Justin from the hotel and took him to the university where he studied.  Justin met some of Dale's friends and had lunch with them. They went to the Phoenix Art Museum and spent most of the afternoon looking at the collection.  Dale took them to some galleries featuring local artists and Justin thought about the sketches of a naked Brian that might turn up in these places someday soon.  They went for dinner as evening fell and spent a lot of time talking. Justin was happy to have a sounding board for his situation with Brian. He thought he knew what he was going to say when they finally talked about the rings but he wasn't a hundred percent sure.  Dale asked some very intuitive questions which helped Justin get his feelings sorted out. He hoped Brian would like what he had decided.



When Dale dropped Justin off at the hotel just before midnight, Justin was a little drunk.  They had gone to a club after dinner and listened to music, talking between sets. Justin had had several drinks, more than he probably should have.



He made his way carefully through the lobby of the hotel not wanting anyone to notice that he was a little unsteady on his feet.  It took several tries with the key card to open the door to the room. Brian was lying on the bed in darkness except for the light from the bathroom, watching Justin trying to come in quietly.



"The wandering boy returns," he said scaring the shit out of Justin.



"Jesus, Brian," Justin laughed uneasily.  "You scared the guts out of me."



"Guilty conscience?"

"Why … why would you say that?"

"I was kidding."



"I hope so."

So what did you do all day?" Brian asked sitting up in bed and leaning against the headboard.



"Nothin' much," Justin giggled.



"Drank some … by the sound of it."

"We went to a club and listened to music.  I had a few."



"I can tell."

"I'm horny," Justin declared removing his clothes.


"Are you now?  I'm not sure I want a drunken fuck."

Justin snorted.  "You want any fuck."

"I'm very discriminating actually," Brian said with a smirk.



"Yeah right," Justin said falling into bed half on top of Brian.



Brian pinched Justin's ass earning a swat from his lover.  "Packed on a few pounds too by the feel of it." Brian kneaded Justin's ample bottom.



"Want to help me work it off?" Justin asked licking Brian's chest and finding a nipple to nibble on.



"Still hungry?"

"Only for you."

"Right answer."

Brian flipped Justin onto his back and crawled on top of him.  He felt their cocks touch and a little jolt of pleasure sent heat up his spine.  He chewed on Justin's lips and licked along his jaw.



"Fuck me, Brian."

"Patience, grasshopper."

"I want you now," Justin pleaded.



"And you shall have me all in good time," Brian promised.  "Was that a whimper I just heard?"

"I … I don't whimper," Justin protested.  His head was spinning from the alcohol, but also whatever the fuck Brian was doing to his left tit with his mouth.  "Pleeease," escaped his lips with the next breath.



"I'm going to make you so hard you may spontaneously combust," Brian threatened with a feral grin.



"I … already … am," Justin gasped and reached for his cock trapped between their bodies.



Brian swatted his hand away.  "Stop that. Horny boys need to be taught discipline."



"No," Justin stated loudly.



"Are you refusing me?" Brian asked propping himself up on his elbows but using the rest of his body to keep Justin pinned beneath him.



"No," spoken barely above a whisper.  "No," stated more forcefully. "I'm not prepared to wait."



"Well, you better get prepared, oh cherished one!"



"Brian, please," Justin begged bucking his groin up against Brian.



"Behave," Brian ordered as his mouth captured Justin's in a long, long, smoldering kiss.  All the while his hands roamed Justin's body, stroking and rubbing and pinching and caressing.  Justin moaned and wriggled beneath the kiss and the touches.



"Oh God, Brian, I can't stand it," Justin gasped when Brian finally released his mouth.



"Yes, you can.  We've barely started."

"Ahhh, fuck!  Please, please, please."

"Did you miss me while you were gone today?" Brian asked nibbling on Justin's neck and that spot below his ear that drove him nuts.



"Not much," Justin said defiantly trying to regain some of his dignity.



"Not much?  Well, I don't like the sound of that.  I guess I'll have to see how much I can make you want me now."

"No, I was kidding," Justin reversed his words.  "I missed you so much. Fuck me, please."

"Which version of this story should I believe?" Brian asked stopping his caresses and rubbing his chin.



"That I missed you more than anything, that I need you so much, believe that," Justin said hopefully.



Brian looked like he was thinking about doing just that.  Suddenly he slid down Justin's body and took the boy's purple and swollen cock in his hand.  He stroked it in a leisurely fashion as Justin writhed beneath him.



"More," the boy demanded.



Brian licked the precum from the slit and felt Justin arch up into his mouth while a huge groan escaped his lips.



He released the cock eliciting another whimper from Justin.  He started licking and nibbling on Justin's inner thighs and then his balls until the boy once again reached for his cock.  Brian slapped his hands away and flipped him over. He began chewing and sucking on the full globes of Justin's ass working his way all around his hole but not touching it.



"Oh fuck!  Please, Brian, I can't stand it."  With that Brian licked across the pucker and Justin arched up gasping, "Yes, oh yes!"



Brian smiled.  He had Justin exactly where he wanted him.  He was going to give him the rimming of his life.  He nipped at the pucker then licked across it again.  He stiffened his tongue and probed the hole making it gradually open for him.  Justin called out again and again as Brian drove his tongue into the tight muscle.



With a whimper Justin reached under himself hoping to stroke his cock and get some relief from the excruciating ache he felt there and in his balls.  Brian grabbed his hand and pulled it away.



"No," he stated.



Justin whimpered and squirmed rubbing his cock against the sheets seeking whatever relief he could find.  Brian continued to nip and lick and jab at his pucker. Justin felt like he was going to either explode or implode.  He didn't know which and he didn't care. Either would end his exquisite agony.



"Oh God!  Please, please, please," he begged losing all sense of reality, awash with sensations that threatened to incinerate him.



Brian stuck two fingers into Justin's mouth and the boy slathered them with his saliva.  He sucked up and down the fingers like he wished Brian would do to his cock. Brian's tongue continued its probes and Justin was sure he was going insane.  Suddenly Brian withdrew his fingers coated with spit from his mouth and rammed them into Justin's hole. Justin literally rose up off the bed and came with such force he thought the world had exploded before his eyes.  He crumbled into a heap on the bed trying to force air into his seemingly immobilized lungs.



He felt strong hands and arms turn him over and his breathing got a little easier.  He lay cradled in Brian's arms everything whirling maddeningly behind his eyelids.



"Baby," he heard a soft voice say.  "You all right?"

Justin thought he was nodding his head but he couldn't be sure.



"Justin," Brian said gently.  "Open your eyes."



Justin forced his lids to move but it took every ounce of strength that he possessed.  "Brian," he managed to whisper finally.



"I'm here."

"Am I?"



Brian chuckled.  "I have an armful of something delicious.  I think it's you."

Justin was beginning to focus on what had happened.  He could still feel little ripples of pleasure swing through his body, but they could never match the intensity of what he had just felt.



"I thought I was dying.  You almost killed me. It was torture," Justin babbled.



"Yes."

"Can we do it again later?"

"Maybe."

Justin grinned some stupid grin that he couldn't control, that simply wouldn't leave his face.  "Fuck, Brian. What did you do?"


"What I … felt."



Justin grinned up at him looking into those amazing hazel eyes.  "You are … wonderful," he gushed.



"And you're drunk."

"Not anymore.  I might be insane but you sobered me right up."

Brian laughed out loud.  "Feel better now?"

"I feel … glorious, intense, magical…"  His voice trailed away. "I love you," he added as his eyes closed.



Brian decided to let him sleep for awhile.  Then they had to have their talk.



                                                              -----



As it turned out Brian fell asleep waiting for Justin to wake up.  They both awoke as the first rays of sunlight snuck in between the still not quite closed drapes.


"Morning, Sunshine," Brian said as Justin gave him a kiss.



"What happened last night?"


"Did something happen?" Brian asked with a smirk.



"You know…" Justin replied blushing from head to toe.



"You must have dreamed it.  You were drunk."

"Not that drunk," Justin protested.



Brian pulled him in for a kiss.  "Want to hang out around the pool today, maybe do a little shopping … and talk?"



"Yeah, I think it's time," Justin agreed.



They got up and showered together.  They fooled around and Brian got a different taste of the delicious ass that only his tongue had feasted on last night.  After breakfast they drove into town and did some shopping. Brian found some possible gifts for Gus but nothing that really cried out to him.  They both knew their Phoenix holiday was winding down.



They had a nice lunch at a restaurant downtown and then headed back to spend some time at the pool.  Brian made sure Justin was slathered with lots of sunblock after their swim. The sun was warm and relaxing.  As it began to set they decided to have their talk in the privacy of their room. Justin didn't want his feelings broadcast across the hotel.



When they returned to their room they both were subdued afraid of what was to come.



"Are you ready for this?" Justin asked.



"I … don't think I'll ever be ready for this, but we need to do it."

Justin nodded.  "I've given this a lot of thought, Brian."



"So have I."

"And you want us to wear the rings?"

"Yes."

"Tell me why."

Brian looked at the floor collecting his thoughts.  "I … really feel like it's time that the world knows that we are committed to each other … in every way."

"That's a great reason," Justin said sincerely.



"But…?" Brian asked hearing the proviso in Justin's voice.



"Do you think wearing the rings will make any difference in our relationship?"

"What do you mean?"



"Well … if I had been wearing the ring would you have treated me any differently at the loft?  Would it have stopped me from leaving?"

"Probably not," Brian admitted not liking the direction this seemed to be taking.



"So I don't really see why we need the rings.  I think they will bring more trouble than they will good."

Brian stared at his partner.  He was being turned down again.  Justin didn't want to wear the ring.  He didn't want the world to know that they were committed to each other.  Brian turned away. He didn't want Justin to see the tear that had escaped his eye.



"Brian, I'm not refusing to wear the ring," Justin said softly.



"What?" Brian asked.  "That's sure as hell what it sounded like."



"I want you to realize that I don't need the ring.  I know what we are to each other. Maybe you need the rings though, and if you do, I'll wear it."

"I … I don't understand," Brian admitted.



"All the reasons we had for putting the rings in the sculpture are still there.  Nothing has really changed, except maybe your acceptance of our relationship. If that's the case and you want to make that statement to the world, then I'm in.  But I want you to understand that it really won't change anything for me. I love you either way and we're probably going to fuck things up again and we'll fight and hopefully make up, ring or no rings."



"Jesus, Justin, I thought you were a romantic."

"I used to be.  I guess I still am, but … what you did by coming after me and saying you'll put me first, that means more to me than any ring ever could.  I understand you … most of the time … and I hope you understand me."

"I thought I did until right now, but I don't think I know you at all."

Justin grinned.  "A little mystery's a good thing…" he said hopefully.



"Not necessarily.  I need to think about this."

"Good," Justin said.  "That's what I hoped you'd do.  I don't think we should rush into anything."



"If … if I say that I want us to wear the rings, you will, right?"

Justin nodded.  "If that's what you decide."

"But given the choice you'd leave them where they are."

Justin nodded again.



"Let's go to bed," Brian said.  "I think I need to fuck you."

"Sounds good to me."  Justin grinned at his partner hoping to lighten the mood.



"I thought maybe we could drive out into the Painted Desert tomorrow."



"I like the sound of that," Justin said moving into Brian's embrace.  "I love you. That's all that matters."



Brian nodded.  He held Justin against him trying to figure out what to do, what Justin's words meant, and what lay ahead for them.



Soon the embrace became a caress and kisses followed and then a night of long, slow lovemaking.  Dawn would find them sated and exhausted.



                                                             -----



The drive to the Painted Desert was beautiful.  The huge cacti and beautiful colors of the rocks and sand made the trip very interesting.  They stopped once for Justin to sketch a scene he particularly liked. When they actually got to the Painted Desert which was really a badlands area with rolling rocks of many colors, it was after one o'clock.  It had taken much longer to get there than they had thought.



Brian had bought a disposable camera and they took some pictures.  Justin would have liked to sketch but he was hungry, the bag of chips he had brought only tiding him over for awhile.  Reluctantly they headed back towards Phoenix. Along the way they noticed signs for gambling casinos run by the local Native Americans.  They came upon a shop purporting to sell authentic Navaho goods and Brian pulled in.



"I might find something for Gus," Brian said.



They entered the store and Brian began looking around.  Justin was immediately intrigued by the man behind the counter.  He struck up a conversation with him and asked if he could draw him.  Somewhat reluctantly the man agreed and Justin was soon sketching happily.



Meanwhile Brian had selected a Navaho rug that he thought Lindsay might like and he had found a Raw Hide Rattler which was a stick with a rawhide pouch on one end decorated with beads and containing the rattle.  It was adorned with feathers and made an interesting noise when shaken. Brian thought Gus would like that.



Brian came up behind Justin and shook the rattler in his ear.  Justin jumped and giggled.



"What are you doing?" he asked.



"I think this is Gus' present."

"Nice," Justin agreed.



"The noise ought to drive Melanie mad."



"You are so bad," Justin said still working on his sketch which was almost finished.



Brian looked at the man behind the counter who waited patiently for Justin to finish.  "That's very good," Brian said seriously judging the representation of the man.



"Thanks.  I'm done Henry.  You can move." The man stretched and flexed his muscles that he had held still for so long.  "You make an excellent model," Justin told him, "unlike someone I know."

Brian gave him a swat.  "I'm in eighty percent of his drawings," Brian stated somewhat proudly.



"Henry, this is my partner Brian."

Brian held his breath wondering what the reaction of this middle aged Native American man would be to Justin's announcement.



"Not a business partner, I take it," Henry observed.  Brian shook his head. "Nice to meet you, Brian."

"Thanks.  You have some interesting things in your shop."

"It's not my shop.  I'm just filling in for a friend who's sick."



"Thanks for letting me draw you," Justin said.  "Would you like the sketch?"



Henry took the drawing and looked critically at it.  "This is excellent, Justin," he said. "I think I'll frame it and give it to my granddaughter who is getting married tomorrow."



"You think she'll like it?" Justin asked munching on the granola bars that he had seen in behind the counter.



"I know she will.  Say, why don't you and Brian come to the wedding?  It's in Phoenix. Didn't you say you were staying there?"  Justin nodded. "She's marrying an Apache boy that she met at university.  Times change," he said wistfully.



"You don't like her marrying outside the tribe?" Brian asked.



"It wouldn't have been my first choice, but she makes her own decisions and he seems to make her happy.  The wedding should be interesting. She's incorporating some traditional Navaho and Apache things into a modern ceremony."



"We'd love to come," Justin gushed not noticing the look on Brian's face.



                                                              -----



At 2 pm the next day Brian and Justin entered the hall where the wedding was to be held.  They were amazed by the myriad of clothing from traditional to modern that the guests were wearing.  Henry spotted them and found them a seat beside him.



Soon the bride appeared in the doorway on the arm of what must be her father, a man who looked like a younger version of Henry.  She wore a traditional Indian wedding dress of four colors. Henry explained that each color represented a direction – black for north, blue for south, orange for west and white for east.  They faced east towards the rising sun which represented their new beginning.



There was some ceremonial chanting and smoke.  The man officiating talked about the two lovers and their commitment to one another.  Then he read the Apache Wedding Prayer.



                                          Now you will feel no rain,

                                          For each of you will be shelter for the other.

                                          Now you will feel no cold,

                                          For each of you will be warmth to the other.

                                          Now there is no more loneliness,

                                          For each of you will be companion to the other.

                                          Now you are two bodies,

                                          But there is only one life before you.

                                          Go now to your dwelling place

                                          To enter into the days of your togetherness…

                                          And may your days be good and long upon the earth.



Brian felt Justin's hand seek his and squeeze.  He could see the tears in Justin's eyes and he felt them in his own.  That prayer said so much about their own relationship. That was exactly what they both wanted out of life.

                     
Brian squeezed Justin's hand and leaned against his shoulder.  None of this was lost on Henry who watched with interest the interplay between the two men.



That was basically the end of the ceremony.  Brian and Justin followed the line of well-wishers along with Henry and were introduced to the happy couple.  They were seated at a table with Henry for the dinner and generally had a good time. When the dancing began, they enjoyed the traditional Navaho and Apache dances performed by some of the guests.  Then the more modern dances began and Justin would have liked to dance with Brian. Brian didn't think it would be appropriate for two men to dance in this setting. He didn't want to upset any of the guests or Henry.  Justin had to agree.



When they returned to the hotel later on both men were quiet.  Justin undressed his lover and together they lay down on the bed and made sweet love for a long time.



"That was a beautiful ceremony," Justin said after recovering from one of their sessions.



"Yeah," Brian agreed.



"Is something wrong?" Justin asked.



Brian hesitated.  "I'm ready to go home."

"I am too."

"With me?" Brian had to ask.

"Definitely with you."



That earned him a long, sensuous kiss followed by another intense session of lovemaking.



A long time later Justin felt Brian's hand rub along his side and hip.



"You awake?" Justin asked in the dark.



"Um," Brian replied.



"Is something bothering you?"

"The rings."

"Oh."

"I don't know what to do about them," Brian admitted.



"Do we have to decide right now?"

"I thought that's why we came here."

"It was, but I don't think there's any point in making hasty decisions."



Brian was silent thinking about what Justin had said.  Somehow the rings didn't seem so important anymore. They were just a symbol.  What they represented was right here in the bed with him and that was all he needed.



"Get some sleep, Brian.  We can go home tomorrow."



                                                             -----



The next day they booked an afternoon flight back to Pittsburgh.  Justin called Dale and he came for a visit to the hotel and had lunch with them before they left for the airport.



Part way through lunch he had to ask if they had made a decision about the rings.  Brian gave Justin a withering look indicating his displeasure that Justin had discussed their business with his friend.



"I needed someone to talk to," Justin said.



Brian remained silent.



"I didn't know the rings were a secret," Dale said unhappy to have caused friction between the two.  "I'm sorry I said anything."

"Don't sweat it," Brian said and Justin gave him a little smile.  Maybe he was still putting Justin first.



They packed and left for the airport no decision having been made about the rings.  They returned the car and checked in at the airline desk. As they waited for their flight to be called Justin walked over to the windows and stared out at the tarmac.  He felt Brian come up behind him and he leaned back against the strong chest.



"I'm going to miss Phoenix."

"Yeah," Brian replied.



"I really appreciate that you came with me and that you stayed so long."

"I would have stayed as long as it took," Brian said sincerely.



"I love you."

"And I want you to be my shelter, my warmth, my companion," Brian whispered referring to the Apache Wedding Prayer.



"And my lover."

"And your lover."

"That's all I need," Justin said softly.



"The rings don't matter anymore.  I learned a lot on this trip. If I have you that's all I need.  Nothing else is important."



"So do we leave the rings in the sculpture?"



Brian nodded.  "For now."

"Do you think we'll both want to wear them at some point?"

"Maybe, but it really makes little difference.  It won't really change anything, as you said."

"I'm happy, Brian, truly happy."

"So am I."

"Do you think we'll feel this way in a couple of weeks?"

"Who knows?  Life gets in the way."



"But we can always think back to Phoenix."



"And remember the good times."



"Yeah."

"They're calling the flight," Brian said.



"Goodbye Phoenix.  Let's go to our dwelling place and enter into the days of our togetherness."  He felt Brian's hand take hold of his as they made their way to the plane.

Chapter 32 - Butterfly by Thyme

 

Butterfly

"Buff-fly, Dada! Buff-fly!"

"Yes, Gus, it's a butterfly," Brian said making sure he pronounced the word correctly.

Gus pronounced most words correctly, and for a three year old he had quite a vocabulary. Brian was amazed by his son, but fully intended that the little boy should continue his verbal growth without relying on baby talk.

"Butt-fly," Gus said frowning. Somehow he knew that didn't sound quite right.

"Butt-er-fly," Brian repeated slowly.

"Butterfly," Gus said and then smiled. He knew he had got it right.

Brian smiled back at him. "Good boy!"

Gus grinned wider. "Pretty butterfly," Gus elaborated.

Brian and Gus were in the park on a beautiful spring day. Justin was working at the gallery, but they would pick him up in time for dinner. Brian had learned to savor these times alone with his son. He loved to have Gus and Justin with him, his two boys. But he had recently begun to look forward to time alone with his son.

Gus was interested in everything much like Brian had been as a little boy. Whereas Brian had been forced to gain most of his experiences through school and books, he wanted to make sure that Gus experienced everything firsthand, and he fully enjoyed showing it to him. He couldn't remember ever being in the park with his own father. He wanted Gus to have better memories than that. He wanted Gus to have memories, period, of him, of the things they had done together.

"Butterfly!" Gus called and began chasing the flitting butterfly as it darted away.

"Gus!" Brian called wanting Gus to come back.

When Gus continued to follow the colorful butterfly, Brian stood to go after him. Before his long strides could catch up with the running boy, the butterfly swept across an area still wet and muddy from rain during the night. Gus took one step into the mucky area and Brian saw his feet slide. He gave a funny cry and was sitting on his bum in a pool of water and mud. That was when Brian caught up to him.

He saw Gus' chin quiver as he realized what he had done. He tried to get up now putting his knees and hands fully into the mud as he tried to rise. Brian yelled at him to stay still but it was too late. Gus made his way slowly out of the goo. His hands were coated. His bum and knees were caked with mud. His chin was all grimy. His shoes were filthy and the first tears were beginning to run down his cheeks.

Brian was angry. They were supposed to meet Justin in an hour and now Gus was a total disaster. Brian opened his mouth to chastise the little boy just as Gus reached him and flung his muddy arms around Brian's leg. A huge sob escaped his lips and he clung to Brian's jeans for dear life.

"Dada," he gulped.

Brian's heart melted. He couldn't be mad at the poor little waif. Gus hadn't meant for this to happen.

"It's all right, sonny boy," he said scooping Gus up against his chest, mud and all. "It's all right."

Gus buried his face in Brian's neck. His sobs gradually subsided. Brian noticed a few people watching him. He glowered at first until he realized they were smiling their approval of how he was handling Gus. Maybe he was really getting the hang of this father thing.

"Well Gus," Brian said, "we make a fine pair." Gus' head came up to look in his father's eyes. His lashes were still wet with tears and he wasn't sure what his father meant. "Justin's going to spank us for getting so dirty."

"Sorry," Gus gulped. He looked like he was ready to cry again.

Brian decided he better take a different tack. "What if we make a quick trip to the loft and get cleaned up? Justin will never know."

Gus grinned and threw his arms around Brian's neck getting more mud all over his father's clothes. "Go now, Dada!" he ordered.

Brian smiled. He'd take a mucky hug over a crying boy any day. He started back to the Jeep carrying his wet, muddy bundle.

As he strapped Gus into his car seat, Brian thought about how his own father would have handled such a situation. First, they would never have been playing in the park, but if they had and Brian had fallen in the mud… Brian found it hard to complete that thought. He could feel the slap and the shaking and the horrible words.

"Hurry, Dada," Gus said bringing him out of his reverie.

Brian and Gus stood under the spray of the shower. Brian had stripped them both and headed for the shower as soon as they got to the loft. Gus danced around at his feet playing in the spray. Brian looked down at his son. The happy little boy made him smile. It seemed like the warm water had washed away not only the mud but also the memory of the fall in the park and Brian's almost anger over it.

Brian let out a long breath. From the moment Gus had been born Brian had resolved never to allow Gus to suffer like he had. But he had been angry in the park, angry when Gus got covered with mud and angry when Gus got mud all over him, to say nothing of the car. He'd have to clean up Gus' car seat before they went to get Justin.

Brian's father had trained him well. Get angry and get even when things didn't go the way you wanted them. That was still his first reaction and he always had to fight acting on it. He thought about that day the loft had been robbed. He had been so angry. He actually wanted to hit Justin, and he almost had. It had taken every ounce of willpower he had to restrain himself. He wondered if he would ever get past that reaction. At least he hadn't acted on it.

The memory of his nephew John and his accusations flashed through his head. He had gone to Claire's house in a rage. If he had been able to get to John that night he wasn't sure what he might have done. He let out a long breath.

"Dada," Gus said looking up at him through the spray. "Up!"

Brian picked up the little body and held him close. He hoped he was training Gus better than his father had trained him. He didn't want Gus to have to fight demons his whole life like he had had to.

"Play?" he asked with that little grin that made Brian do almost anything he requested.

Brian knew what he wanted. It was one of Gus' favorite games. He liked to be held up close to the shower nozzle so that he got hit full force by the spray. Brian turned down the volume of water a bit and held Gus up close for a few seconds. Brian heard Gus cough and sputter and he pulled him away. Gus spit out water and rubbed his eyes.

"Again!" he demanded.

They had to repeat that process several times until Brian said that once more would be the last time. He was afraid Gus would get water in his ears or a cold or brain damage or something. The Munchers would be all over him. It would be his fault of course.

When Brian finally got Gus out of the shower he wrapped him in a thick warm towel covering him from head to toe and holding him tight. Gus was silent which surprised Brian. He waited to see what Gus would do. Gus stayed still and quiet.

"Gus?" Brian said wondering what the little boy could be doing and if he was all right.

"Sh," was the muffled reply.

"What are you doing?" Brian asked.

"I'm turning into a butterfly," Gus explained through the folds of the towel.

"Are you in your cocoon?" Brian asked finally cluing in.

"Yes," the little voice replied. He felt Gus shift and struggle to get out of the towel. He peeled back one section to help him. "I'm a butterfly now, Dada," Gus said as his head appeared.

"And a beautiful one you are too," Brian admitted kissing the top of his head.

"You can't kiss butterflies, Dada."

"I just did."

Gus giggled and worked his way out of the towel.

"Are you all dry?" Brian asked. Gus nodded. "Mr. Butterfly needs some clean clothes then." Brian took Gus' hand and led him into the bedroom. He pulled a clean outfit from the bag Lindsay always sent with Gus. "Can you put on your underwear and your pants?" Brian asked. Gus nodded all serious about having that responsibility. "I need to call Justin."

"Justin," Gus said with a grin as he started to pull on his underpants.

Brian smiled. Gus loved Justin. Justin would always be his favorite. After all they were growing up together. He grinned as he mentally admonished himself for thinking like that. Justin was a man, but somehow he'd always be Brian's twink, one of Brian's little boys. The thought made him hard.

"Justin," Brian said as the phone was answered at the gallery.

"Where are you? You should be here already."

"Gus had an accident at the park."

"What? Is he hurt?"

"Not that kind of accident. He was chasing a butterfly and fell in some mud."

"Butterfly," Gus called from the bedroom.

Justin laughed in relief and at the image of Brian and a muddy Gus. "So where are you?"

"We both needed a shower."

"Are you all clean?"

"Right down to my pecker."

Justin giggled. "I'll check that out later. Are you still coming to pick me up?"

"We're almost ready to leave, so we should be there in a little over half an hour."

"I'll wait."

"You better. The butterfly and I can't wait to see you."

"Later," Justin said with a soft sigh as he hung up.

After they picked up Justin they decided the diner was the best place for dinner with Gus. He loved the food there and they didn't have to worry about his table manners or eating skills.

"Hey, Sunshine," Debbie called as Justin stepped through the door. "Don't you ever get enough of this place?"

"Hi, Deb. It's like a fatal attraction."

"Gus!" Debbie cried seeing the little boy trailing Justin. "How's my handsome little man?"

Gus grinned and said, "Fine."

"Got a kiss for me?"

Gus went to Debbie who scooped him up and they exchanged loud, wet kisses.

"What am I?" Brian asked. "Chopped liver?"

"There's an empty booth in the back," Debbie said ignoring Brian's best put upon look.

They placed their orders. Gus began to fidget waiting for his hot dog. Justin could see that there might be tears or a temper tantrum coming.

"Want me to draw you something while we wait?" Justin offered.

"Butterfly!" Gus said immediately.

Justin pulled out a pad from Gus' bag and began to sketch. He quickly drew a large butterfly and made markings on its wings. "There, Gus," Justin said, "now you can fill in the colors you like." He handed Gus his box of crayons.

Gus began to color immediately studying the drawing and choosing his colors for each part. Justin and Brian watched. After a bit Brian felt Justin's eyes on him.

"So how was the park?" Justin asked.

Before Brian could respond Gus said, "Fell in the mud."

"Hey, sonny boy, that was supposed to be our secret," Brian said pretending to look upset.

"Sorry," Gus said with a frown. "Are you going to spank Dada for getting all muddy?" Gus asked Justin as he continued to color his butterfly.

"Only if he's a very bad boy," Justin said with an evil grin.

"Dada's good!" Gus said emphatically.

"Then no spanking for him," Justin grinned.

Brian did his best pout. "I could try to be even badder," Brian promised.

"No!" Gus said finishing up his butterfly.

"Guess you're out of luck, bub," Justin chuckled. Brian scowled.

"See," Gus said holding up his completed butterfly. Somewhere under the scribbles of color was Justin's butterfly.

"Beautiful!" Justin approved.

"Lovely," Brian agreed.

"For you, Dada." Gus handed him the drawing.

"Thank you, Gus. We'll find just the right spot for it when we get home."

The rest of dinner went by uneventfully. They returned to the loft to watch a bit of TV before they gathered up Gus' bag and took him back to the Munchers. He was a little fussy about leaving, but Brian hung his butterfly drawing on the fridge and that seemed to make things better.

When they left Lindsay's Justin asked Brian if he wanted to go to Woody's or Babylon. They didn't go to either as much as they used to.

"I thought you were going to check on the cleanliness of a certain organ," Brian said with a suggestive grin.

"Your pecker?" Justin chuckled remembering their phone conversation.

Brian nodded. "You really shouldn't shirk your duties."

"Heaven forbid! I think we better get right to that. After all cleanliness is next to godliness."

Brian snorted as they headed for the Jeep.

-----

"Aaah!" Brian moaned. His hips bucked up involuntarily. Justin was giving him one of his superb blowjobs.

When they had returned to the loft Justin had checked out Brian's pecker with his nose, his hands, his tongue and now with his mouth. He had just about driven Brian to the brink of insanity with his careful examination and exploration.

"Oh, oh, fuck, Justin!" Brian cried and shot his load down his partner's throat.

Justin licked his lips as he scooted up and laid his head on the pillow next to Brian. He turned to glance at Brian whose eyes were still closed as the remnants of his orgasm began to subside.

"Did the pecker pass muster?" Brian whispered.

"Very satisfactory," Justin grinned.

"Just satisfactory?" Brian asked turning those hazel eyes on the clear blue ones.

"I might have to examine it again later to be absolutely sure everything's kosher."

Brian chuckled. "I think I should check yours first," he said, and pounced.

Justin felt his dick jump at Brian's words, but he didn't have much time to react as he felt Brian's soft warm mouth engulf his length. He could feel his cock stiffen just at the sensation of being in Brian's mouth. He let out a long moan as Brian sucked down the length of him gradually getting to the mushroom head. Brian held him there pulling on the head and causing Justin to writhe in ecstasy.

"Fuck, Brian," Justin gasped.

"Sh, stay till and enjoy your examination," Brian chided.

Justin moaned again as Brian held his cock and licked it up and down like a popsicle. He sucked on the large vein and probed the slit with his tongue. Justin whimpered and grabbed at Brian's hair.

Brian could tell it wouldn't take much more to get Justin off. He played with the swollen dick a little longer as Justin moaned and started to beg for release. A few swift pulls with his lips and a strategic swallow and Justin erupted into his mouth. He swallowed the boy's essence hungrily sucking every last drop. He then licked and cleaned the softening dick before pulling the sheets up and over them.

"All clean and taken care of," Brian whispered against Justin's ear.

"Hmm," Justin sighed as he slid back against Brian. He was asleep almost immediately.

-----

Justin awoke with a start. He knew immediately that the bed was empty except for him.

"Brian?" he said quietly thinking the man was probably in the bathroom. When there was no answer he sat up. He could see a light in the kitchen. He wrapped the sheet around himself and proceeded to the top of the steps. He could see Brian standing in front of the fridge, his back to Justin. Justin made his way down the steps coming up to the counter.

"Brian," he said softly. He saw Brian jump at the voice. Obviously he had been lost in thought. "Are you all right?"

"Mmm," was the only response.

"If you want something from the fridge, it helps to open the door."

"I came for a bottle of water," Brian said absently, like his brain was still miles away.

"What's going on?"

"Gus' drawing," Brian replied as if that explained everything.

Justin could see now that it was right in front of Brian where they had hung it with a magnetic strip. Brian had been staring at it. "What about Gus' drawing?" Justin asked.

"It got me thinking."

"About what?" Sometimes talking to Brian was like pulling teeth, slow and painful.

"When Gus got all muddy in the park today, he grabbed hold of me and got me muddy too. I was angry … at first. I wanted to scold him, hell, yell at him." Brian shook his head at the memory.

"And did you?" Justin asked hoping the answer would be no.

Brian shook his head and Justin let out a breath of relief. "But I wanted to."

"So why didn't you?"

"I remembered how my father would have reacted. If that had been me in the mud I would have been slapped around and told how fucking clumsy and stupid I was. I swore the night Gus was born that he would never be treated like that." Brian shook his head again.

"And you didn't treat him like that," Justin said affirming what Brian had told him.

"That didn't stop me from getting angry … like I did with you when the loft was robbed."

"Yeah, you sure were pissed."

"I wanted to hit you. I was so angry."

Justin flinched. "But you didn't," he said softly.

"I was wondering when I was in the shower with Gus if that need to get angry and lash out that I learned by precept and example from my fucking father would ever go away."

"Does it matter … as long as you don't act on it?"

"Maybe not, but it would be a whole lot easier, if I didn't feel that way."

"Who said it was supposed to be easy? It would be easier to act on your anger too, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do."

Brian stared into Justin's eyes. "How did you get so smart?"

"Fifteen hundred SAT's."

"Smartass."

"Come back to bed."

"Do you think Gus will grow up without all my baggage?" Brian asked getting a bottle of water from the fridge. He downed about half of it. Justin took it from him and finished it off. He dropped the empty bottle into recycling. As he turned around, Brian was staring at the butterfly on the fridge.

"I think Gus will be just fine. He knows that you love him and his mommies love him."

"And you love him."

"Yes, I love him," Justin said softly with a smile.

"When we got out of the shower I covered Gus in a big towel and he stayed still, told me to be quiet. When I asked him what he was doing, he said he was turning into a butterfly."

"That's cute," Justin said putting his arm around Brian's waist and urging him to move back to bed.

"Do you think it's possible for me to turn into a butterfly?"

"What?"

"You know … go through a metamorphosis … turn into a good father?"

"You already are," Justin said firmly.

Brian shook his head. "But I get angry…"

"It's what you do about that anger that's the important thing. What did you do in the park?"

"I picked him up because he was starting to cry. He got more mud on me when I did."

"So what did you do about that?"

"I hugged him closer till he stopped crying."

"See, you're a good father."

"That was the right thing to do?"

"Absolutely! Didn't it feel right?"

Brian nodded. "I knew I'd take a mucky hug over Gus crying and being upset any day."

"I think you've already turned into a beautiful butterfly," Justin said kissing Brian on the cheek.

"Gus says you can't kiss butterflies," Brian said with a smirk.

"Well, Gus doesn't know everything. He's only three. In fact, I think I'm going to fuck a butterfly when we get back to bed."

"Oh?"

"Yep. Come on, Mr. Butterfly. I'll show you how it's done. In fact I might have to spank a certain butterfly."

"Do tell."

Justin began walking Brian towards the bedroom. Their arms were around each other's waist. Brian could already feel his cock stirring at the thought of Justin fucking him, spanking him. He glanced back over his shoulder at the butterfly drawing on the fridge.

"Fucking symbolism," he thought just before Justin pushed him down onto the bed. Like a butterfly his life had transformed since he met Justin. He had a pretty great life now.

Chapter 33 - Conclusions by Thyme

Conclusions

Brian awoke with a start. He sat up and looked around. He listened carefully. Nothing. He wondered what had awakened him. Gus was staying with them for the weekend. The little boy was asleep on the couch. He listened more intently but heard nothing. Gus must be sleeping peacefully. He glanced at the clock noting that it was after 2 am.

He looked over at Justin who had his back turned to him. The steady rise and fall of the sheet indicated that he was sleeping. Nothing had disturbed him.

"Great!" Brian thought as he fell back onto his pillow. "Now I'll be awake for hours."

He stared at the ceiling willing himself to sleep. After what seemed like an eternity he looked at the clock again. A whole thirteen minutes had gone by. He was never going to get back to sleep.

He thought about getting up and going to watch TV or fooling around on the computer, but they were both out in the living room with Gus. The last thing he wanted was to wake Gus up.

He turned on his side so he was facing Justin's back. He watched the sheet rise and fall with the boy's breathing. He smiled slightly thinking about what he was going to do to Justin once they took Gus home today. He tried to match Justin's even breathing, hoping that the steady cadence might lull him into matching Justin's sleeping state. After a few minutes he gave that up. He was wide awake.

His gaze shifted from Justin to the dresser across the room. He could clearly see Justin's sculpture of the intertwining hearts and their claddagh rings hanging in the hole at the center of one of the hearts. Those rings had been his declaration of love and Justin had turned them down. Hanging them in the sculpture had been their compromise. Brian actually liked them there now. They were so symbolic - hanging close together, filling the empty space that had existed in Justin's heart. Neither of them wanted to take them out of there. The sculpture would cease to mean what it did to both of them.

He could always get more rings, he supposed. Somehow Brian knew their relationship had moved on to a new level since they had returned from Phoenix. He had almost lost Justin, had almost driven him away forever. It had all been because he was too chickenshit to come right out and tell Justin how he felt. He had tried doing that ever since, and Justin even said he was getting better at it.

That still didn't solve the dilemma of the rings. He knew Justin's reluctance came partly from Brian's hatred of marriage. That is what people would assume if they started wearing the rings, that they were married, and then they would have to deal with all that implied. That is what the family would pester them about. People had such distorted ideas of what they should do. Why couldn't they just let them alone, let them wear the rings if they wanted? Why did they have to put meaningless expectations on their actions?

Brian sighed and turned onto his back.

"Dada," Gus' voice said.

Brian sat up immediately, enough to see Gus standing at the bottom of the steps. "What's wrong, Gus? Did you have a bad dream?"

"Un unh," Gus said shaking his head. "Have to pee."

Brian chuckled. "Come on up. You know where the bathroom is."

Gus climbed the three steps and entered the bathroom. Brian decided to get up and make sure everything was all right with his son. It didn't look like he was going to sleep anyway. He walked into the bathroom. Gus was standing on his little stool peeing carefully into the toilet. It had become a matter of pride with the little boy that he never made a mess or never waited too long before going to the toilet. Brian hoped the little guy wasn't becoming as anal as his father.

"Done," Gus said and flushed.

"Good job, Sonny Boy," Brian said. "Wash your hands."

The little boy moved his stool to the sink and climbed up. He carefully washed his hands and took the little towel he used to dry them off.

"I'm thirsty," Gus said when he was finished.

"Then let's get you a drink of water," Brian said holding out his hand. "So you can pee again in another hour," he thought. Gus took his hand and they made their way down to the kitchen. Brian retrieved a bottle of water from the fridge and poured about a third of it into Gus' special glass. The little boy started drinking immediately.

"Cold," Gus said taking a deep breath and then continuing to drink.

Brian watched. "You really were thirsty," he observed. Gus nodded as he continued to drink. Brian took a long draught from the water remaining in the bottle. Gus finished off the water in his glass and smacked his lips.

"Good," he said.

Brian chuckled. "Nothing but the best for us Kinneys," he said with a grin.

Gus nodded in approval. "Stay with me, Dada?" Gus asked.

"Okay, for a bit," Brian said setting Gus' glass at the back of the counter. He started walking towards the sofa and immediately found Gus' little hand deposited in his own. He smiled in spite of himself. He had discovered that the feel of Gus' hand in his was one of the very best things in life.

Gus climbed onto the sofa into his makeshift bed. Brian pulled the covers up and tucked them around his shoulders. He slid onto the side of the couch so that Gus was snug up against the back and he was hanging off the edge. Gus seemed to sense his discomfort.

"Covers," Gus said. "Come in with me."

Brian smiled. He stood up and raised the covers. Gus scrunched up against the cushions at the back of the sofa. Once Brian had laid down Gus promptly deposited himself on Brian's chest and let out a sigh of satisfaction.

"Comfy, Sonny Boy?" Brian chuckled his arms going around the little boy's back.

"Uh huh," Gus replied. "Tell me a story."

"That's Justin's job," Brian said always fascinated by the stories that Justin seemed to be able to make up at the drop of a hat.

"You, Dada. Tell me about Prince Brian and Princess Justin and Prince Gus."

"You like that story, don't you?"

"My very most favorite," Gus averred.

Brian chuckled and tried to remember the story. It had started with Prince Brian being bored at the ball and finding Princess Justin standing under a lamppost outside the castle. Brian began to recount the story as best he could. Gus corrected any parts that he didn't think were quite right. Brian's son had an even better memory than his father. After a while Gus stopped correcting him and Brian realized that the boy had fallen asleep on top of him.

Now he was stuck there. If he tried to go back to his own bed Gus would probably wake up. Brian knew he wasn't going to sleep anyway. He slid down farther taking Gus with him. He made sure the sheets covered the little boy, closed his eyes and pretended to sleep.

-----

"Hey, sleepy head," Justin's soft voice broke into his consciousness.

"Um," Brian responded. He opened his eyes. He was lying on the sofa. He sat up. Gus should be on top of him. "Where's Gus?" he asked looking around.

"Here," Gus said from behind his head.

Brian turned to find his son standing with his hands clasped behind his back at the end of the sofa. "How long have you been up?" Brian asked.

"Forever, Dada," Gus said solemnly. "We've been waiting for hours so we could have breakfast with you."

Brian frowned and looked at Justin. "Fifteen minutes," Justin said with a grin.

"You could have eaten without me," Brian said trying to stretch the knots out of his back. If they ever got a new couch they needed one long enough for him to stretch out on.

"No, we couldn't," Justin said. "Someone was most definite about wanting breakfast with his daddy."

"Breakfast, Dada, now!"

"All right, I'm up. Shall we go the diner and see Debbie?" Brian asked.

"I could cook," Justin suggested thinking that might be faster.

"Debbie, Debbie, Debbie," Gus chanted.

"The diner it is," Brian said. "Let me grab a quick shower."

"Gus, let's go eat some Fruit Loops while we wait for daddy," Justin suggested as Brian went up the steps.

"Yum," Gus responded.

"Not too many Fruit Loops for you two," Brian called. "There are enough of those at the diner."

Justin chuckled and Gus looked confused. "Come on, Gus, we'll eat them out of the box without milk. They taste like candy."

"Yay," Gus cried as he made a beeline for the kitchen. Justin laughed and then wondered if he might regret doing this later. Sometimes these high sugar foods set Gus off. Oh well, he had promised.

-----

Hours later the threesome returned to the loft. They had had brunch at the diner and talked to Debbie. Gus was the center of attention and loved every minute of it. They had gone to the park afterwards and Gus had played on the slide and swings and every other piece of equipment. Finally as he started to tire he got a little cranky. All the Fruit Loops he had eaten earlier seemed to have kicked in. Although he was obviously tired, he refused to admit it. He was running on nervous energy and starting to drive Brian and Justin a bit crazy.

Finally they had convinced him that they needed to go back to the loft and have a rest. Brian and Justin both said they were tired and needed to lie down for a while. Gus had finally agreed and so they had returned.

Gus had eventually settled on the sofa and dozed off. Brian and Justin had gone to lie down on their bed hoping that if Gus thought they were sleeping, he would do the same. They were pretty sure the little boy was asleep now, but Brian had other ideas about what he wanted to do, and sleep had no part in it.

"Brian, we can't," Justin said trying to stop Brian from removing his clothes. "We'll wake Gus up."

"We can be quiet."

"Since when?"

"We can try."

"I don't want to have to explain to the little guy about how we were wrestling or playing tickle once again. I don't think he believes us anymore. He always wants to come up and play too. Hiding my hard-on is tricky."

"Don't they say you should start sex education while they're still young?" Brian asked nibbling on Justin's now bare nipple.

"Brian, stop, please."

"Fuck!" Brian griped but gave up and fell back on the bed.

"I'm sorry but Gus needs a nap. We don't want to wake him."

"He needs a room of his own."

"We could maybe have a section walled off at the end of the loft," Justin suggested. "I could stick all my junk in there when Gus isn't here. I know how you hate to look at my clutter."

"Maybe…" Brian replied. Justin could see the wheels turning.

"Why don't we take a shower? We could close the bathroom door and we should have a little privacy," Justin suggested.

"I like the way you think, oh wise one," Brian replied kissing his partner on the top of the head. They quickly made their way to the bathroom.

Steamy glass frosted their activities from view. Brian had Justin shoved against the glass while he thrust into his partner seeking the ultimate release. Justin took it all and asked for more with the action of his hips. They worked their magic on each other until they came with explosive force. Afterwards they clung to each other letting the water cascade over them as they regained their equilibrium.

"That was masterful," Justin whispered leaning back into Brian's chest and letting the shower water hit him full force.

"Thanks for the critique," Brian replied with a smirk. He kissed the top of Justin's wet hair as his dick gently slid from its recent home.

Just then they heard a tapping sound. Glancing out and down Brian saw Gus standing outside the shower door staring at them.

"Dada?" Gus said.

Brian groaned. He wondered how much Gus had seen. Lindsay would kill him for not taking greater precautions and Melanie would lambaste him about how he only thought with his prick. "What is it, Gus?" Brian asked holding Justin a little tighter.


"Can I play too?" Gus asked wanting his favorite game of being held up close to the spray of the shower.

"You were supposed to be sleeping," Brian said.

"I did sleep. All done," Gus said holding out his hands from his sides and smiling. He looked so much like his father when he did that.

"By all means, come in, Sonny Boy," Brian said holding the door open.

"Brian," Justin warned knowing by Brian's tone of voice that he had just about reached his limit.

"Clothes, Dada," Gus said. "I still have clothes."

"Doesn't matter," Brian said scooping up his son, clothes and all, and holding him under the spray. Gus squealed partially in fright and partially because he loved this game. Brian pulled him away as Gus sputtered and spit out the water he had got in his mouth before he could close it in time.

"Dada!" Gus shrieked as Brian held him up to the showerhead once again.

"Brian, let him out," Justin said.

Brian relented and they all stepped out of the shower. "We need some fucking privacy," Brian stated as he began removing Gus' soggy togs.

Gus was a little upset at being soaking wet with all his clothes on. He whimpered as Brian pulled them off him.

"It's all right, Sonny boy," Brian whispered giving him a kiss as he dried him off. "We have other clothes for you."

"Cold, Dada," Gus said shivering.

Brian pulled him close rubbing all over with the towel and warming up the little boy. "We'll get you dressed in fresh clothes and then we'll go see Mama."

"No, stay with you, Dada," Gus cried holding onto Brian's neck.

This was always an ongoing battle. When the end of a weekend together approached Gus would get all clingy and sad, wanting to stay with his father and refusing to go back home. It was always a difficult ending to what otherwise was a happy time together.

-----

The next day Justin came in late from school. As he rounded the corner coming up the stairs he heard Brian talking to someone.

"So you'll let me know the projected cost?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, give me a couple of days and I'll get back to you," a strange voice replied.

As Justin came up the last flight of steps to the loft he heard the grate slide down on the elevator and the whir as it began its descent.

"Hey," he said seeing Brian still standing outside the loft door. "I heard you talking to someone. Who was that?"

"It was a contractor."

"A contractor?" Justin repeated frowning. "What did you have him here for?"

"I was talking to him about making a room for Gus," Brian said.

"Oh. Did he think it was doable?"

"They always think it's doable as long as you have unlimited amounts of money to throw into it," Brian said with a sour look on his face.

"What did he suggest?" Justin was curious about where they could put a room without ruining the look of the loft. It was really a rather limited space.

"He suggested that we take the alcove where I have my computer and wall it in."

"Oh," Justin said surprised. He hadn't thought of that. He thought they would have taken his alcove by the fridge where the chaise was.

"Don't you agree?" Brian asked watching Justin's reaction.

"I … I guess that would work. But what would you do with your computer and bookshelves?"

"We'd have to share your area," Brian said nipping at his neck.

"Oh."

"You've said a lot of 'ohs' since you came in, but not much else," Brian observed.

"I guess I'm just surprised."

"So what do you think?"

"It could work."

"Do you like the idea?" Brian asked wanting Justin's opinion.

"Um …" Justin replied. He thought for a minute and Brian waited to hear what he would say. Justin was pleased that Brian seemed to be taking his opinion so seriously. "I love the loft the way it is. But … we do need a space for Gus. It's your loft, Brian. What do you think?"

"I'm not sure. The contractor's supposed to have an estimate in a couple of days. Maybe that will make the decision for me."

"It will be strange to change the loft," Justin said looking around. "I'm not sure I would like it any different than it is now."

"I know what you mean," Brian agreed.

Justin never heard any more about renovations in the loft. He thought Brian would tell him what the contractor had given as an estimate of the work, but after four days had gone by, Brian still said nothing. Justin was worried about what that meant.

Saturday morning Justin was awakened by lips caressing his neck, a hand squeezing his cock and a hard, blunt object sticking into the crack of his ass.

"Brian," he moaned sleepily. "It's Saturday. Can't we sleep in?"

"There are more pressing things that need to be taken of, Sunshine," Brian whispered against his ear, his voice heavy with lust.

Justin stretched and rolled over right into Brian's embrace. Their cocks came together with an exquisite thud and both of them gasped. Brian's lips found the juicy ones he wanted. He kissed them softly swirling his tongue against them until Justin opened his mouth and let him in. Their hips bucked against each other causing them both to moan into the deep kiss.

When the kiss ended, Brian leaned back and said, "Still want to sleep?"

"Hunh?"

"You said you wanted to sleep."

"And you said there were more pressing things to do. Can't you feel what's pressing into your groin right now?"

"Oh, is that what that is?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"Did you wake me up to annoy me, or are you going to fuck me?"

"I'll take the second category, Alex," Brian said.

"Then get to work before you make me put certain of your vital parts in big jeopardy."

"Yes, sir, Princess Sunshine, sir!" Brian chuckled. His hand went behind Justin and pulled the slim body tight against his own. His index finger found its way to the wrinkled hole that it knew so well. Brian pressed his finger in causing Justin to jerk in pain.

"Jesus, Brian, lube!"

"Sorry, honey. I just thought after last night that you would be as loose … as a goose." Brian chuckled crazily at his joke.

"Were you drinking, or smoking something before you woke me up?"

"I'm high on life," Brian said positively giggling.

Justin pressed his hands against Brian's chest trying to get far enough back to get a clear look at all of Brian's face. Something was definitely the matter with the man.

"What's going on?" Justin asked.

"I'm going to fuck you senseless," Brian declared.

"You did that last night."

"Are you saying I can't do it again?"

"Oh, I know you can do it. I'm just not quite sure why you sound slightly hysterical about it."

"Shut up and I'll get the lube."

Justin chuckled as Brian rolled away, but that didn't last long as Brian rolled back and trapped his blond beneath him. Lubed fingers began to probe and lips sucked and kissed. A long, hard cock made a slow and pleasure filled entrance. Justin felt the familiar jolts of penetration as Brian drove into him. He knew something was different, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Soon it didn't matter as Brian's hard cock filled him again and again. The waves of ecstasy crashed over him as Brian hit that one spot that drove him wild. His fingers raked Brian's shoulders as the man leaned over him bending him in half.

He always felt so safe and so protected and so complete when Brian made love to him. There was something more to it today though. He wished he could figure it out. It was part of Brian's body language that he could usually read so well. But this was different. Brian drove in hard and they both exploded in a scalding orgasm.

"Christ!" Justin whispered a minute or two later. "What's got into you this morning?"

"Don't you mean what's got into you?" Brian smirked.

"Something's going on. I know it. I feel it. Are you going to tell me?"

"Let's have a shower. I'm going to take you somewhere this morning."

"You are?" Justin asked as Brian hauled him up from the bed and walked him into the bathroom.

"That's what I said."

"Where are you taking me?" Justin asked stepping into the shower. His heart was pounding and he wasn't sure why. Everything was strange, out of kilter this morning.

"You ask too many questions," Brian said soaping Justin's back.

"So I've been told. Now where are you taking me?"

"And they call me anal," Brian smirked.

"Brian?" Justin said. He was slightly worried by this whole turn of events.

"If you won't tell me where we're going, will you at least tell me if it's a good place? Will I like it?"

"I certainly hope so," Brian said pulling Justin back against him as the water flowed over them.

"Then … I trust you," Justin said softly hoping that he wouldn't be proved wrong.

"Thank you. Now dry off because your mother will be here in fifteen minutes."

"My mother?"

"Will you stop repeating what I tell you?"

"Why is my mother coming here?"

"We're having breakfast with her."

"We are?"

"Yes."

"When did you arrange all this?"

"Just relax and let things happen," Brian told him as his lips captured Justin's to prevent him from saying anything further.

An hour and a half later they finished up their breakfasts at a little café that Jennifer had driven them to.

"This was a good choice, Mom," Justin said. "I'll have to remember this for another time. Maybe I can get a certain someone to take me here for brunch on the weekends." Justin looked meaningfully at Brian who shrugged noncommittally.

"I'm glad you liked it, honey," Jennifer said with a smile. "Shall we get on with the rest of the morning?" She looked at Brian.

"The rest of the morning?" Justin asked looking from one to the other.

"There's more to the surprise," Brian stated leaning in to give Justin a kiss on the cheek.

"What do you mean?"

"Your mother is taking us to look at houses," Brian said. "I think it's time that we had a bigger place, a place that is ours, not mine."

Justin stared into Brian's eyes and then his face lit up in a glowing smile. No wonder everything had seemed so strange this morning. They were going to start a new phase of their life together. He leaned in and kissed Brian softly.

"Let's get started," he whispered. "I can hardly wait."

Jennifer drove them around from house to house that she had selected from Brian's price range and description. There were several nice looking homes, but none that really caught their interest in the way that both wanted. By early afternoon Brian and Justin were getting worn out, but Jennifer put on a brave front.

"There's one more place that I selected," she said, "but it's a little more than the price range you gave me."

"Is it worth looking at?" Brian asked trying not to sound too testy.

"It's very modern, has kind of a Miami feel to it with glass block," she said. "I know you asked for something more traditional."

"You did?" Justin asked surprised.

"I did. I thought that's what you would like, but none of the houses have caught either of our fancies so far," Brian said in a dejected voice. He would have thought this would be easier.

"I thought I would want a more traditional house too," Justin said thoughtfully. "Maybe living at the loft for so long has spoiled me for that."

"Do we want to see it?" Jennifer asked. "We're in the neighborhood."

"Sure," Brian said. "The least that can happen is that we cross it off our list."

Jennifer continued driving and turned into a street with fairly spacious lawns in front of each house. Brian could tell the price tag had just gone up a hundred thousand by the amount of land on which each house sat.

"This is it," Jennifer said, turning into the driveway of a gray stucco house with a circular section next to the front door. That section was all glass block base to roof. It made a striking statement to anyone who saw the house.

"Wow!" Justin said. "I like it already."

"Don't get your hopes up, Sunshine," Brian replied getting out of the car and taking a better look at the house and the surrounding area.

Jennifer smiled to herself. She loved this house even if it was a bit over the price she had been told to work with. Justin loved it, and the look on Brian's face told her that it came closer to what he wanted than anything else they had looked at.

"What's behind the glass block?" Brian asked.

"That's the stairs to the second floor. It's open to the living room and lets in lots of western light. I bet it's beautiful in the afternoons," Jennifer explained. Want to look inside?"

Both men nodded so she used her code and retrieved the key from the lock box. They stepped into the foyer where the stairs began their ascent. Everywhere was hardwood gleaming and golden. It made the whole place feel warm and inviting even if it was totally empty.

"No one's living here?" Brian asked Jennifer.

"The family that owns it got transferred suddenly to Chicago. It's been on the market for awhile."

"And no one snapped it up?"

"There was lots of interest at first, but it is expensive. No offers were accepted and it's been empty for a couple of months now."

"Would they come down on their price?"

"They might," Jennifer said. She could see that Brian was really interested. "I would imagine they might like to be rid of it."

They walked through to the kitchen where the floor became ceramic. It had a breakfast area at one end and the other end opened into a high-ceilinged family room. A doorway led to a formal dining room.

"There's so much space," Justin said glancing around. "And there's a pool." He gushed looking out into the back yard.

Brian came to look out through the French doors. They opened them and noted the overhang of the upstairs provided a covered area to sit by the pool or they could move out into the sun and sit closer to the water. The water was crystal clear.

"Who looks after the pool?" Brian asked.

"They have a service according to the specs. I bet they didn't want it to get all slimy or they would never be able to sell the place."

"I don't know about the pool," Brian said shaking his head.

"We had one at … the other house," Justin said and immediately wished he had kept his mouth shut. "Let's see the upstairs," he added trying to change the subject.

"There are four bedrooms," Jennifer said reading from the spec sheet. "These two on the front of the house each have their own bathroom." She opened doors into traditional bedrooms on one each side of the curved stairway they had just come up. "The master runs almost the full back side of the house. There is a tiny bedroom at the end but it has been used as an office. And this is the master." She flung open the door.

Brian and Justin both took in a breath. It had hardwood like all the other rooms but the space was huge, and looked even more so with no furniture. A bank of windows with French doors led to a balcony that overlooked the pool. The bedroom had a large ensuite with a Jacuzzi tub and a walk through shower that both men ached to try out.

"I love it," Justin said coming back into the master bedroom. "And look at this, Brian." Justin pointed to the doorway that led into the smallest bedroom/study.

"They had that doorway put in for easy access from this room, I would imagine," Jennifer said. "It could be closed off or locked if you wanted it as another bedroom. It makes a great study or studio with all the windows. Or it would give you close proximity to Gus as a bedroom for him."

"Thank you, Madame Real Estate Salesperson," Justin said with a smile. "But I meant this." Justin walked over to a niche that was recessed next to the door.

"That could hold a vase of flowers or a piece of artwork," Jennifer offered.

"I know exactly what it could hold," Justin said staring at Brian. Brian smiled back and nodded. He understood exactly what his partner was telling him.

"So what's the astronomical price on this place?" Brian asked.

"A hundred and fifty over your upper limit," Jennifer said holding her breath. She loved this house, and they both did too. She so wanted them to have it. "I hope that's not too out of line."

"Can we at least get rid of the fifty part of that?" Brian asked.

"We can try. Want to make an offer?"

"What do you think, Sunshine?"

"I think it's next thing to perfect," Justin said moving over to hug his partner.

"Then go for it," he said to Jennifer who squealed and hugged both of them.

"I'll do my very best," she said solemnly. "I want you to have this house."

"We want it too, mom," Justin said giving her a kiss.

"I'll start on all the preliminary paperwork right away. We can submit an offer today if you want. Are you going to sell the loft?" she asked Brian. He nodded. "I think it'll bring a great price, maybe even enough to make up some of the difference in the price of this place."

"I fucking hope so!" Brian stated. He suddenly felt kind of funny. He was losing the loft and gaining a whole new set of responsibilities. It was slightly overwhelming.

Justin noted the look on Brian's face. "Can you take us home, mom?" He thought they needed to talk some more before anything else happened.

"Certainly, honey. I'll get things underway, but I won't do anything until I have the final okay from you, Brian."

"And Justin," Brian added hugging the smaller man against his body for support. His knees felt slightly weak.

-----

Later that day Brian and Justin lay in their bed at the loft. They had discussed the house, pros and cons, ad infinitum, since they got back. They both agreed that they loved the place. They had even discussed some of the possible decorating ideas. They both knew they wanted the house, but they also knew there were some underlying fears that neither of them wanted to bring up.

Finally Brian had taken his partner to bed and fucked him senseless. That had stopped the seemingly endless discussions of the house. Now as they lay sated and tired, Justin thought he should bring up one more thing.

"You understood what I want to put in that niche in the bedroom, didn't you?" Justin began. They both looked over at Justin's sculpture. That was where they both knew it belonged. "I loved the house from the moment I first saw it," Justin continued, "but when I saw that niche I knew that it was the only place for us … and for the sculpture."

"I agree," Brian said kissing the top of Justin's head as the man lay on his chest.

"Can we … you … afford it?"

"We can swing it, especially if your mother works her magic and beats down their price, and then gets a great price for the loft."

"That's a lot of 'ifs'."

"Not so many. I think we can do it."

"Why now, Brian?"

"We need more space. Remember what happened with Gus last weekend. He can have his own room in the new house."

"I love it when you talk like it's already ours," Justin said with a smile.

"It will be ours. I feel it."

Justin smiled and traced around one of Brian's nipples. "What's the real reason you want to do this?" he asked.

Brian smiled. Justin knew him so well. "You graduate in a few weeks and then you will be working. We can both contribute to the house."

"I like the sound of that, but I want you to tell me the real reason."

"What do you mean?" Brian asked not ready to give in yet and explain himself.

"I'm onto you."

Brian sighed. He knew Justin was right and he needed to tell his partner what was behind his motivation in buying a house. "Since we came back from Phoenix, I've felt like things have changed between us."

Justin tensed up at those words. "For the better?" he asked.

"I … don't know, just different. I wanted us to wear the rings, but I understand your reluctance, and I love them in the sculpture…"

"And…?"

"You know what I think about marriage for fags." Justin nodded against his chest. Brian's fingers sifted through the blond hair, soft as silk. "So it suddenly occurred to me that we could make a commitment to each other by moving into a place together, a place that would be ours, that we would select and make our own."

Justin felt the tears well up. He fought them back. "Do you have any idea how that makes me feel to hear you say that?" he asked softly.

"Give you an allergic reaction?" Brian asked with a gentle smile.

"Something like that," Justin admitted. "I thought if we ever did get a house that you would just buy one and we would move."

"You mean without me consulting you?"

"Yeah."

"Why would you think that?"

"You're older, you have all the money, you make the decisions."

"But this will be our place. Of course I would want your approval."

"You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear you say that."

"I love you, Justin, even if I don't say it often enough."

"I hear it all the time in so many different ways," Justin whispered. It meant so much to him though to hear Brian say out loud that he loved him. It still gave him goosebumps. "And you're okay with leaving the rings in the sculpture?"

"I wouldn't want them any other place," Brian replied in a husky voice.

"I love you so much."

"I know."

Justin sighed. He had got his 'I love you' for today. He knew Brian wouldn't want to say it again, but that was okay. He couldn't believe what Brian had done, arranging the house tour and making him part of the process. This had to be about the best day of his life.

"I thought about buying a new set of rings," Brian said suddenly.

"You did?"

"But they would carry the same set of problems that these ones created." Brian looked over at the sculpture. "And I didn't think you had another sculpture handy to house them."

Justin chuckled and snuggled closer to Brian. "You're right about that. There'll never be another sculpture like that one, one that means so much."

"I thought so."

"What do you think the gang will say about this?" Justin asked.

"I don't really care. Only you and I will have a key to our house and the rest of the world can be locked out."

"I like the sound of that. If they ask if we're getting married, what should we say?"

Brian thought for a moment. "Let's tell them that we have our own special relationship."

Justin noticed that Brian didn't stumble over that word that had given him trouble for so long. "A non-conventional, undefined kind of relationship?" Justin asked.

"Why do we have to name it anything?" Brian asked. "We're together and that's all they need to know. What goes into our relationship is between us, not for anyone else to know."

"I like the sound of that," Justin said sitting up and then leaning over to kiss Brian.

"It's the truth."

"Yes, it is," Justin agreed. "Do you think this bed will look good in the new house?"

"Hunh?" Brian asked startled by the question.

"It's modern looking like the house."

"You want to take this bed?" Brian asked.

"Don't you?"

"I…"

"Didn't you once tell me that you'd rather lose a kidney than give up this bed?"

"That was then, this is now," Brian replied. "I think we should select a bed together and it should be brand new, only for you and me."

Justin's smile was radiant as he looked into Brian's eyes. "Are you leaving your old life and all the trappings behind?"

"I did that a long time ago. I guess that's part of what I've been coming to terms with since we got back from Phoenix."

"Have you? Come to terms with it, I mean?" Justin asked truly wanting to know.

"Doesn't it sound like I have?"

"Most definitely.

"Oh, one other thing. That sofa goes. I want one long enough for me to stretch out on."

"I think we could manage that," Justin said with a chuckle. "One that is long enough and wide enough for you to sleep on when you're in the dog house," Justin said with a twinkle in his eye.

"Or for when you're in bigtime shit," Brian stated.

"How likely is that?" Justin grinned. He knew Brian could never banish him for long.

"Don't know, but I suspect we're going to find out."

"We have the rest of our lives to see," Justin said philosophically.

"That we do, Sunshine."

"Maybe we could get rings for our tenth anniversary," Justin suggested.

"Or our twenty-fifth," Brian contributed with tongue in cheek.

"Or for both of them."

"Greedy bastard!"

Justin giggled. "We could try for fifty."

"That we could," Brian said as he flipped Justin over. All this sentiment was making him horny. Time for another down and dirty fuck before they got ready for this new phase in their lives. Besides they should get as much use as they could out of this old bed. Ah, the memories!

Brian glanced over at the sculpture. If all they took from the loft was it and themselves, they would have everything they needed to make their new life.



End Notes:

This is the end of "Committed" which followed "Whispers of Doubt" which followed "My Only Sunshine". This has been a long series and I'd like to thank all the readers who gave me such great feedback throughout. Thanks also for sticking with me as I struggled with the whole marriage issue and the rings. Hope you like what I did with them.

I have thought about continuing this story arc in a new series that would deal with the new house and Brian and Justin building their lives together on a more equal footing. If you would be interested in reading that, please let me know.

Thanks again, Thyme.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1305