Before The Fall by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:


As summer continues at Edna's Treasures, someone is riding for a fall.


Story #47 of the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 42390 Read: 13800 Published: Jul 30, 2018 Updated: Jul 30, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

10. Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

11. Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

12. Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

13. Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

14. Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

15. Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine



Before the Fall

Chapter 1





“Who the fuck are you?” Gus roared as he threw down the bottles he was carrying, both hands now free, balled up into fists. “And what the fuck are you doing with MY boyfriend!?”

“I can see why you like him, Raymond,” Wayne said ignoring the seething Gus. “He is pretty to look at, but wouldn’t you prefer a man instead of a boy?” Wayne snarked as he weighed his options. Wayne was about Ray’s height. At 5' 10", neither boy was short; however, at just over six feet, like his dad and uncle, Gus was taller.

Gus was fuming and ready to do battle.

“Sonny Boy, Raymond, who’s your little friend?” Brian drawled as he and John sauntered over to the boys, having seen the potential altercation. Older Kinney eyebrows were arched in anticipation as they loomed over the boy.

“Mr. Kinney, Mr. Anderson, this is Wayne Johnson, an acquaintance from New York,” Ray explained, being very precise with his description of the interloper. “He decided to celebrate PRIDE in Pittsburgh this year.”

“How nice of him,” Brian sneered. It was obvious Brian thought Wayne was anything but nice. “Well, if Wayne is looking for a friendly place to celebrate PRIDE then I highly recommend Meathook. A young man of his obvious attributes could do well there,” Brian said as he looked the young man up and down. Not very impressed with what he saw, Brian turned toward his son and Ray.

“Gus, Ray, I believe Joan could use a set of strong arms to lean on.” Brian urged the boys back toward the parade then turned his death glare toward Wayne. Wayne quickly lost his bravado. “Do you need any help confirming your flight back to New York? I know one or two people at Liberty Air. I’m sure someone would be happy to assist you.”

With that, Brian picked up the bottles that Gus had thrown down and threw them in a nearby receptacle. “Must make sure the trash goes where it belongs,” Brian growled before he and John walked away. John followed Brian to the street vendor.

“What’s with us Kinney’s? Why can’t there be one generation that has it easy in the relationship department,” Brian griped as he paid for several bottles of water, handing a few to John to carry. Brian twisted off a bottle cap to take a long drink.

“Brian, young men from time immemorial have had trouble with relationships. It’s a part of life,” John said wisely.

“I was hoping Gus would be different.”

“He is different. He’s met a nice levelheaded young man from a great family. So there’s a bump or two in the road, they’ll get over it. Besides, Ray is planning to spend most of July here, right?”

“Yeah. Both he and Gus will be staying with us while Gus does his July internship at Part Deux. I’m not worried about that.”

“Then what are you worried about?”

“What Gus will do when he meets up with Wayne back in ole New York.”

“Brian you can’t always be there to protect your children.”

“Who says I can’t,” Brian mumbled. He finished off his water, threw the empty bottle away then he and his brother sprinted to catch up with the rest of their family.



*****



“I’m sorry,” Ray said to Gus as they walked just behind JR and Curtis. Lindsay and Mel were glowing having their children marching so close to them. At Joan’s request, the boys had guided her to a bench where she sat under a sun umbrella. Jenn and Seth were keeping her company. They shooed the boys back to the parade.

“What do you have to be sorry about? You’re not the asshole stalker,” Gus said quickly.

“Yeah, but it’s my fault that he’s here.”

“Did you invite him?”

“Fuck, no! But I’m sorry anyway.”

“Sorry is bullshit,” Gus spouted as he took Ray’s hand. The boys began to relax and enjoy themselves.

“Meathook?” Ray asked after a while.

Gus laughed. “A leather bar,” he explained. Ray gave him a pointed look. “So I’ve heard,” Gus quickly qualified. The boys kissed then nervously laughed hoping for no further drama to plague them for the remainder of the day.



*****



“Hey, Kinney!” someone shouted from the sidewalk as the family was getting near the end of the parade route.

Brian turned and looked in the direction of the voice. So did Gus. Brian looked at his son and they both chuckled and shook their heads, neither sure who the caller had been referring to.

“Brian Kinney,” the voice repeated.

Brian looked at the man who was now waving at him. He looked vaguely familiar. Something told Brian he should find out what the guy wanted.

“Justin, hold onto Bree. I’ll be right back,” Brian said.

Justin gave Brian a scowl. The last thing they needed was some old trick of Brian’s ruining the day.

Brian walked quickly over to the man. He didn’t want the family to get too far ahead of him. “Is there something I can do for you?” Brian asked abruptly as he studied the vaguely familiar face. If only he could put a name to it.

“You don’t recognize me, do you?” the guy asked with a laugh.

Brian frowned. “If you’re an old trick, I’m not interested,” Brian replied turning to go back to his family.

The man grabbed Brian’s arm to stop him. Brian gave the guy a death glare and the hand dropped immediately from his arm.

“Brian, I’m sorry,” the man said. “I just wanted to say hello. I’ve been gone from Pittsburgh for years. It was nice to see some familiar faces … and bodies,” he added as his eyes scanned Brian’s suggestive outfit. He gave Brian a wink.

“Don’t let the clothes fool you,” Brian said firmly. “I’m not who, or what, I used to be.”

“I’d say you’re even better than you used to be, and you were mighty fine way back when.”

“Who the fuck are you?” Brian asked with a deep furrow in his brow, and a strange feeling in the pit of his stomach.

“Would the name Todd mean anything to you?” the guy asked.

Brian thought for a moment and then it hit him. “So, how’s it going?”

“Fiiine,” Todd replied with a laugh. Brian had figured it out.

“If you had been naked, I might have recognized you sooner,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Or if I was leaning against a wall with someone’s dick up my ass.”

“Yeah, that would have been a dead giveaway,” Brian chuckled.

“I thought I’d visit some of my old haunts,” Todd added. “I’m living in Chicago now.”

“I’d love to reminisce,” Brian said, “but I need to catch up with my family.”

“Sure, nice seeing you,” Todd added.

Brian started to walk away then he turned back. “Hey, Todd, we’ll all be at the GLC for a while after the parade ends. Come over there if you’d like to see some of the old gang.”

“Thanks,” Todd replied with a big grin.

Brian hustled on down the street in his skintight and rather sweaty pants. He was happy to catch up to Justin and take Bree’s hand. Justin gave him a questioning look. Brian decided that discretion was the better part of valor and didn’t say anything. Matters would unfold in their own way.



*****



Finally, after a couple of hours on the trail, the marchers walked into the GLC parking lot.

“That was fucking way too far to walk,” Brian griped as he grabbed a bottle of cold water from the table that had been set up there. He drank it down greedily.

“Me too, Dada,” a little voice said.

“Sorry, Squirt,” Brian said turning the top on another bottle of water and handing it to his daughter. “You okay?”

“Tired,” Bree said finishing a long drink of water.

“That makes two of us.”

“Make that three,” Justin said as he finished off his bottle of water.

“We are becoming old farts,” Brian muttered.

“Did I hear old in that sentence?” Justin asked elbowing Brian gently in the ribs.

“I feel like I’m a hundred, and these fucking pants have started to chafe.”

Justin laughed. “They may chafe, but they sure proved you are still the Stud of Liberty Avenue.”

Brian raised a brow. “I’ll settle for retired Stud of Liberty Avenue.”

“Dada, what’s a stud?” Bree asked.



*****



“Richie, drink some water,” Emmett said taking a bottle from one of the water tables in the GLC parking lot. “We don’t want you getting dehydrated.

Drew, Emmett and Richie drank greedily for a couple of minutes.

“That was much needed,” Drew said wiping his mouth and tossing the empty bottle into a recycling bin.

“The last few blocks seemed to be a million miles long,” Emmett said with a sigh. “Am I getting old?”

“You’ll always be young and beautiful to me,” Drew replied correctly, giving Emmett a big smile and then a hug and kiss.

“You are so getting some tonight,” Emmett said returning the kiss.

“Eiw!” Richie reacted, but then he giggled.

“So what did you think of your first PRIDE?” Emmett asked his son.

“I think I floated all the way through it,” Richie said with a faraway look in his eye. “It was … the best!”

Emmett grinned at him. “I guess I should call you Nina, not Richie, as long as you’re dressed the way you are.”

“Hey, Nina,” a young man in drag, who was walking by, called out. He gave Richie the thumbs up.

Nina beamed in response. Drew and Emmett stared at them in astonishment.

“You … you’re not going to start dating, are you?” Emmett asked uncertainly.

“I can’t date,” Drew replied with his tongue in cheek. “I’m married.”

“Oh, pshaw!” Emmett reacted swatting his husband. “I meant Richie.”

Richie was staring after the guy, or girl, who had called to him. He wasn’t sure what to make of this at all.

“Richie,” Emmett repeated.

“Oh, sorry. What do you think he meant?” Richie asked cocking his head towards the boy in drag.

“I think he meant that you looked good,” Drew replied.

“And that maybe he was interested in you,” Emmett added.

“Oh,” Richie said. “I thought that might be what it meant, but I wasn’t sure.”

“You’re a little young for such things,” Emmett said carefully. “But you look so grown up and beautiful as Nina.”

“Thanks,” Richie said with a big smile. “I feel beautiful today.”

“Then let’s go inside and show you off to everybody.”

“Sure,” Richie replied. He would never forget his first PRIDE.



*****



“Mom, how are you feeling?” Brian asked as he came out of the restroom in the GLC with Justin. He had needed his husband’s help to peel off the snakeskin pants. He felt much better in his jeans and a wifebeater. He carried the legendary pants in a case he had brought for just that purpose.

“I’m doing fine, son,” Joan replied. She was sitting on a chair having a cup of coffee. Danny was being most attentive.

“She got tired about halfway along the route, so we sat down,” Danny explained. “One of the golf carts came by and we got them to drive us back here.”

“I … I’m sorry, Mom, I didn’t see you drop out,” Brian said. “When I realized you weren’t with us any longer, I didn’t know how to find you.”

“I’m fine, but I think I may have tried to overdo it a little. Danny took good care of me.”

“That’s my man,” Brian said squeezing Divina’s shoulder.

“I have my moments,” Danny replied with a coy wink.

“Where’s my granddaughter?” Joan asked.

“I think she’s over at the food table with John and Bobby,” Justin said. “Would you like to see her?”

Joan nodded and Justin headed over to the food table to retrieve his daughter.

“You’re sure you’re okay?” Brian asked again.

“Just fine.”

“Gamma Joan, I marched in the parade,” Bree said proudly running over to her grandmother and giving her a big hug.

“I know you did, sweetheart. You looked very beautiful.”

“Thank you,” Bree said pertly.

“She was pretty zonked at the end of the route,” Brian added hoping to make Joan feel better about having to stop partway through. “We all were.”

“But I’m good now,” Bree informed them.

“The wonders of food and water,” Justin contributed.

“Hungry, Daddy,” Bree told her father.

“I think we need to return to the food table. See you in a bit, Joan.”

Joan watched the two make their way through the masses. “She is a lovely little girl.”

“I happen to think so too,” Brian replied.

“Where’s my grandson?”

“He’s probably around here somewhere,” Brian said looking around. When he didn’t spot Ray or Gus, he began to wonder about that kid on the parade route.



*****



“Did you have a good time at the parade?” Lindsay asked JR and Curtis as they were enjoying a cold beverage and some snacks.

“I had a great time, Miss Lindsay!” Curtis said with enthusiasm.

“You sound surprised,” Lindsay commented.

“I wasn’t really sure if I should be here but everyone seems so nice.”

“Why wouldn’t they be?” Lindsay asked.

“I’m not gay,” Curtis replied.

“Neither is JR or Debbie, Carl, Jennifer or Seth but they all marched,” Lindsay said reasonably.

“I guess so. Anyway, I had fun,” Curtis reaffirmed as Dr. Raph and Hector came up to the buffet table.

“We all had a great time,” Raph said.

“Ditto!” Hector added. “For years I used to watch from the sidelines, it felt good to participate for once. What about you, JR, did you have fun?” JR was looking rather contemplative as she sipped her soda.

“I liked it a lot.”

“But…?” Lindsay queried.

“No but. Like Mr. Hector said, it felt good to participate. Being a member of a club is one thing but actually taking part in something means a whole lot more,” JR explained.

“I agree,” Mel said as she joined them. “And now that you’ve proven your point, you can come home with us tonight,” Melanie said emphatically.

“What do you mean?” JR asked her mother.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Mel asked.

“Mel, it isn’t obvious to me. Why don’t you explain it to me?” Lindsay said coolly. Curtis took that moment to walk away with his dads. He gave JR a sympathetic look before he went.

“JR marched with her friends; the parade is over. And after we have our round up meeting, we can all go back home as a family,” Mel said.

“Mama, I’m going home with daddy and Uncle Ben.”

“But I assumed...”

“Remember that old adage, never assume,” Lindsay counseled.

“Fuck that! JR, we’ll take you back to Michael’s to pick up your stuff then we’re taking you home. I’ve had enough of this nonsense.”

“Mama, it’s not nonsense. And I’m not going with you!” With tears in her eyes, JR turned to run back toward Michael.

“Melanie, have you learned nothing?” Lindsay began. “We’re going to lose her if you’re not careful.”

“She’s my daughter,” Mel blurted out without any regard to Lindsay’s feelings.

“You know something, Mel, I think I finally got it. It doesn’t matter what I think or feel. It doesn’t matter what your daughter thinks or feels. It’s all about you, isn’t it? Well, guess what? Now you have what you want. You can do whatever you want, because I’m done. If you need to get in touch with me, you’ll find me at the Plaza,” Lindsay turned and walked away leaving Mel alone.

“What just happened?” Mel asked herself out loud.

“Looks like you just trashed your family,” Brian answered.

“I bet this makes you very happy. You’ve always hated me. You’ve always taken every opportunity to turn Lindsay against me.”

“After all these years you still don’t get it, do you?”

“What don’t I get?”

“You’re right about one thing; I don’t like you very much.”

“I knew it!”

“But not for the reasons you might think.”

“Enlighten me.”

“It’ll be my pleasure. You’re beautiful, for a woman. Intelligent and very good at what you do, but you’re just not a nice person. You’ve tried to stifle Lindsay’s dreams to make her conform to your way of thinking, and you’re doing the same to JR. You tried to do the same to Gus but fortunately Lindsay was strong enough to stand up to you.”

Melanie snorted. “Like you’re so perfect!”

“I’m far from perfect and man enough to admit it. But this is about you, and you’re on the verge of losing everything that gives all of this any meaning,” Brian said as he waved his hand in the air indicating the GLC and what it represented. “What’s so good about fighting for equal marriage rights when you’re about to lose your wife and daughter to your own prejudices and stubbornness. Think about it, Mel.” Brian walked back to his family.

Melanie stood alone for a moment then decided to go home, alone.

“Brian, what’s going on?” Michael asked. JR was outside in the parking lot with Ben and Curtis. Michael turned his soulful puppy dog eyes toward Brian hoping, like always, Brian would save the day.

“I don’t think I can fix this, Mikey. Mel is going to have to do this on her own.”

“What should I do?”

“Nothing, just give JR the love and respect she deserves,” Brian said as he bussed his friend’s head.

“I can do that,” Michael whispered into Brian’s chest.

“I know you can, Mikey. JR couldn’t have a better father.”

“Except maybe for you,” Michael quipped.

“Yeah, well, I have my hands full with the Squirt. Speaking of which, I better go find her.”

“I think she’s holding court with Emmett and the rest of the ‘ladies’,” Michael said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Fuck, that’s all I need, Emmett and Bree trading fashion tips. I gotta go,” Brian groaned then rushed off to find his daughter and perhaps prevent further disaster. Michael laughed as Brian went in search of his precocious daughter.

Just then a familiar person walked by.

“Hi, Todd, how’s it going?” Michael automatically said.

“Fine,” came the expected response. The two old acquaintances laughed then took the time to become reacquainted.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 2





Bree sat on one of the hard plastic chairs of the GLC. She had a little plate of carrot and celery sticks and half a sandwich that Justin had got for her. Like the princess she was she surveyed her kingdom.

Her Gamma Joan sat beside her holding her juice box. The drag queens from the parade sat in a semi-circle facing her.

“You look very pretty, Richie,” Bree said.

“Thanks,” Richie replied as he fluffed his wig and grinned.

“I like your dress.”

“It was my very favorite. It’s chiffon,” Richie informed her, running his hand over the soft fabric.

“A lady always looks fetching in chiffon,” Danny announced.

“Is your dress chiffon, Mr. Danny?” Bree asked.

“Why yes, it is,” Danny said with a smile. His very red lips curled up at the edges. “How discerning of you.”

“I like chiffon,” Bree declared. “Your dress isn’t chiffon, is it, Auntie Emm?”

“No, sweetheart, this is a Chanel suit, and it most definitely isn’t chiffon.”

“Is it virgin wool?” Richie asked.

“That would be my guess,” Emmett replied.

“You look very nice with black hair,” Bree advised him.

“I have to confess that my girdle is killing me,” Emmett sighed.

“Mine too,” Danny agreed.

“I’m glad I don’t have to wear a girdle,” Richie said, “but these boobs get in the way of eating.” He took a careful bite out of his sandwich, holding the small plate above his finely crafted bosom.

Danny laughed,” The things we queens do for fashion.”

“It’s not as easy as it used to be,” Emmett admitted.

“Wait till you get to be my age,” Danny griped.

“Are you damsels finished gabbing yet?” Brian asked with a smirk. He stole one of Bree’s carrot sticks from her plate.

“Can I get a chiffon dress, Dada?” Bree asked.

Joan almost choked on her sandwich, Emmett grinned, Danny coughed to cover his laughter and Richie looked baffled. Brian looked around at the assembled group knowing that they had planted the need for chiffon in Bree’s head.

“You just got the new dress you’re wearing, Squirt,” he said trying to make her see that she didn’t need another new dress.

“But a lady looks fetching in chiffon,” Bree said batting her eyes at her father.

“Is that so?” Brian asked with a glare for the assembled queens.

“Yes, and I want to be a lady like Auntie Emm and Mr. Danny and Richie.”

“I don’t think you can be a lady quite like them,” Brian informed his daughter.

“But why not? I’m pretty like they are. I just need the chiffon dress.”

“I think it’s time to go home, Squirt,” Brian said.

Bree glared at her father, and the assembled ladies each took a bite of their sandwiches to stifle their laughs.



*****



“Hey, Justin, do you remember Todd?” Michael called out.

“Todd?” Justin asked, turning from the food table where he had just grabbed a sandwich.

“From the backroom,” Michael supplied with a chuckle.

“Oh, that Todd!” Justin said with a grin. “I didn’t recognize you.”

“Well, it has been a while and it’s not dark and I’m not naked,” Todd explained with a laugh.

“Yeah, that might be why I didn’t make the connection. How are you?”

“I’m good, living in Chicago.”

“Really? How did you end up there?”

“I met this guy … in the backroom. He was visiting from Chicago.”

“You found out about that…”

“While his dick was up my ass? Yeah, I occasionally talked,” Todd said with a shake of his head and a sheepish look.

“So, did you two hook up?” Justin asked.

“Yeah, he was going back to Chicago and he asked me to go with him.”

“And you did?”

“Yeah, and it was good for a while. Finally he just left one day, and I’ve been on my own ever since.”

“No boyfriends?” Justin asked.

“Every once and a while, but nothing very permanent. I don’t know how you and Kinney do it.”

“Most of the time I don’t either,” Justin laughed. “And Brian is totally bewildered by it all.”

“For being bewildered, you two look pretty happy.”

“We are,” Justin stated. “We have a nice home and two great kids.”

“Two?”

“Yeah, that’s our daughter Bree holding court over there.” Justin pointed to Bree and her circle of admirers.

“She’s beautiful,” Todd said. “She must be your daughter with that hair.”

Justin nodded and smiled. “She is, but she’s got Brian’s personality.”

“Shit! How did that happen?”

Justin laughed. “It’s beyond explainable. She definitely has her moments. She’s probably talking Brian into a shopping spree right now.”

Todd watched the little girl and the people around her. “I’m glad things worked out for you two,” he said.

“I hope you find someone soon.”

“That would be nice, but I don’t think I’ll find that someone in a backroom.”

“Maybe not, but I found my guy outside Babylon.”

“Yeah, lucky you. Good to see you, Justin, I better get going.”

“Aren’t you going to talk to Brian?”

“Nah, tell him I was here. I think it’s time for me to move on. This trip down memory lane is dragging me down.”

“I’m sorry,” Justin said sincerely.

“It’s not your fault, and to quote the master, ‘Sorry’s bullshit.’”

“See ya, Todd.”

Todd nodded and walked towards the exit doors.

“That was kind of sad,” Michael said. “I guess I forget sometimes how lucky we are.”

“Yeah,” Justin agreed before he headed over to his husband and little girl.



*****



“Was that Todd from the backroom?” Ted asked Michael. He had seen Michael introducing the man around. He thought the guy looked familiar.

“Yeah, he’s back for a visit. Lives in Chicago now.”

“I fucked him once,” Ted said proudly.

“So what? So did I.”

“You didn’t.”

“I did so. He was pretty … available … back in the day.”

“Yeah.”

They watched Todd leave the building.

“We sure did fuck around back then, didn’t we?” Ted observed.

“Yeah, but that was a long time ago.”

“It’s a wonder…”

“No it’s not,” Michael said vehemently. “We grew up. We got past all that nonsense.”

“Nonsense? That was our way of life back then.”

“That was Brian’s way of life back then … fucking everything that moved. We never came close to what he did.”

“But we would have … if we could.”

Michael scowled and went to find his husband. He didn’t need to be reminded of such things.

“What’s up?” Allen asked as he walked up to Ted.

“Nothing much, just reminiscing about the bad old days.”

“Do you miss them?’

“Sometimes,” Ted admitted. “But I like the good now days much more.”

Allen gave Ted a kiss before they went to get another sandwich.



*****



“Leaving so soon?” Brian snarked as he caught up with Todd before he left the building.

“Yeah, I think I outstayed my welcome.”

“What makes you say that?”

“What’s that old saying; you can never go back? I guess I tried coming back, but it’s not working.”

“Do you really want to come back? To the Pitts, I mean, leave big bad Chicago behind.”

“I was considering it. I really don’t have much to leave behind. The big city is too big for me. Too many temptations.”

“I get the picture. What do you do for a living when you’re...?”

“When I’m not getting my ass fucked off in a backroom somewhere, you mean?”

Brian merely smirked as he shrugged his shoulders. In the bad old days he had barely said two words to Todd and now he was carrying on a conversation like they were old friends. But something about Todd reminded Brian of things that might have been. He felt compelled to find out Todd’s story.

“That was a long time ago. My ass isn’t as young as it used to be. But to answer your question, I had my own landscaping business. Which may seem a little insane in a big city, but you wouldn’t believe how many people have a thing for rooftop terraces. And major corporations like to include small parks when they design new office buildings. But the competition is fierce, and I run a one man operation.”

“You don’t play well with others?”

“No, I play well, all right, except when I’m playing with incompetence. I’m very detail oriented. I mean how many times have you seen someone mow the lawn and you feel you have to go back to do it again.”

“My sentiments exactly. Um, so Todd, no one special back in ole Chi town?”

“Nope.”

“Fancy relocating?” Brian asked as he walked Todd out of the GLC and to the parking lot. Twenty minutes later Brian was back and looking rather smug.

“What did you do?” Justin asked with a suspicious tone.

“Moi?”

“Toi.”

“Oh nothing much, Sunshine. Just helping out my community,” Brian said with a straight face as he snaked his arm across Justin’s shoulder.

“Why does that scare me?” Justin stated as they went to retrieve their daughter and family, and prepare to go back to the hotel.



*****



Some hours later, Gus and Ray were relaxing at the loft.

“Thanks, Dad. Yeah, Gus and I will be here for the week. Okay. Where? Okay, I’ll let Gus know. Oh, Daaad. Yeah, I love you too. I’ll remember to call Jeff. Okay. Bye, Dad, say hi to Daddy for me. I’ll call him too, I promise. Bye.”

“Your parents are cool with you staying here instead of going back to New York for your PRIDE?” Gus asked as soon as Ray got off the phone.

“Yeah. Very cool. I’m kinda surprised. It almost sounded like Dad knew what happened.”

“You mean with your stalker.”

“Yeah, him. You don’t think...”

“What? That my Pop called them?”

“Yeah. Would he?”

“I’ve seen my Pop do a lot weird things. I wouldn’t put it past him. So yeah, maybe. You want me to call him?”

“No. Your Dad’s a real honest guy. I’m sure he’ll tell us.”

“So what else did your dad say?”

“He’s going to send my clothes to Kinnetik. I only brought enough stuff for a week. If I’m going to spend a month at the cottage, I’ll need more clothes.”

“That makes sense. We have a whole month together!” Gus exclaimed with a wide smile and a waggle to his eyebrows.

“Let’s not waste it,” Raymond said as he pounced on his boyfriend.



*****



“Dada, when do we go home?” Bree asked her father with a yawn. Brian was tucking her in for the night. Being a princess amongst all those queens was very tiring.

“Tomorrow, Squirt, after breakfast with the family.”

“Is Gamma Joan coming to breakfast?” Bree mumbled softly.

“Yes, she is,” Brian murmured back as he gently swiped a baby fine lock of strawberry blonde hair off Bree’s forehead. Brian had arranged to have brunch for the family in one of the smaller catering halls. He realized that there might not be too many more whole family gatherings left so he wanted to mark the occasion.

“That’s good,” Bree managed to say before she drifted off to sleep.



*****



“She asleep?” Justin asked when Brian got back to their bedroom. Brian turned the lock on the door so that they wouldn’t be disturbed by little people too early in the morning

“Yes, I...”

Justin put one finger to Brian’s lips to stop the unnecessary explanation. “There’s no need to explain to me, I’ve been known to indulge in that guilty pleasure on many occasions.” Justin knew that Brian had been watching their daughter sleep for a while. Brian merely shrugged.

“Bri, will you tell me what you were up to with Todd this afternoon? I’m not jealous, just curious.”

Brian stripped off his clothes and helped Justin divest himself of his so they could shower together. As Brian adjusted the spray, he related the conversation that he had with Bobby shortly after Memorial Day.

“I’ve been feeling a little useless lately. In case you haven’t noticed, Kinnetik does very well without me.”

“That’s only because you’ve chosen the best people to put in charge. It doesn’t mean you’re useless,” Justin said as he ran a soapy cloth over Brian’s back. “So what did Bobby suggest?”

“You know that lawn service we use?”

“The one when after they’re finished with the front lawn, you feel compelled to inspect and re-edge? That lawn service?” Justin snarked.

“Yes.”

“What about it?”

“Bobby suggested that I buy it.”

“Why? To torture the owner?”

“No. Bobby thinks I can use the exercise.”

“What?”

“He thinks I’m bored and I should take up gardening as more than just a hobby.”

“And you agree with him?”

“To a point. I enjoy puttering in our garden.”

“That’s obvious.”

“And I get some sort of weird pleasure working on Emmett’s, and even your sister’s. I even enjoyed the work I did on Muncherville. But like many landscaping services, they also provide winter services. I am not about to go out to shovel. But I would like to see a landscaping service that really takes pride in what they do and has some unique designs to offer. I hate cookie cutter gardens. But when I start a project, I do it right or I don’t take on the project at all.”

Justin laughed. “You’re anal like that.”

“And so is Todd; no pun intended. He confided to me that he runs his own one man landscaping business in Chicago but he’s having trouble competing with the big boys. So I offered him...”

“You offered him the opportunity of a lifetime. Can we afford to take on a new business?”

“According to Theodore we can, but I’ll put it in my name just in case.”

“Brian, we do this together. I’m not concerned.”

“Whatever you say, Sunshine,” Brian said with a devilish smirk as they rinsed off then got out of the shower.

“Shall I name your new enterprise? You’ve let me name your other businesses.”

“Before I’m accused of becoming staid, I think we’ll break with tradition just this once. I’ll name it,” Brian said as he took pleasure in drying his mate with one of the hotel’s thick towels.

“And what shall you call your new landscaping and garden center?”

“I think I shall name it The Sunshine Garden and Lawn Center,” Brian announced smugly. Justin laughed. His blazing smile warmed Brian’s heart and hardened his cock. “Do you approve?” Brian asked as he nudged Justin onto the bed.

“Yeah, I approve,” Justin replied as he kissed his lover while he suggestively caressed Brian’s dick. “I really approve,” he said as he rolled over, positioning his ass perfectly for Brian.

Zeroing in on Justin’s delectable ass, Brian murmured, “Me too.”

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Before the Fall

Chapter 3




“Dada,” Bree whispered as she raised up on her knees to get closer to Brian’s ear. The family was seated at several tables in one of the smaller ballrooms Brian had rented for brunch the day after PRIDE. “I hafta go to the bathroom,” Bree whispered.

“Okay, Squirt, let’s go,” Brian said as he wiped his mouth with his napkin. He and Justin exchanged a knowing look as Brian cocked his head toward the door. Justin nodded his understanding.

“Do you need any help?” Brian asked just outside the family restroom near the hotel lobby.

“No, Dada,” Bree assured her father. Brian nodded in resignation as his all too fast growing baby girl walked into the restroom all by herself.

“I’ll be right outside, Squirt,” he said as the door began to swing closed.

“Okay, Dada!” Brian heard. To keep himself occupied, Brian walked the few steps toward the side of the gift shop. Through the windows he could see the fashionable, if not overpriced, clothing for sale, and a bevy of sparkling trinkets on display. There were brooches made from glittering semi-precious stones, earrings, and bracelets. There were strings of colorful beads and pendants in every color and shape including...

“Oooo, Dada, look at the pretty green froggie necklace!” Bree said as she came up behind Brian.






 

“You would notice that one. Did you wash your hands?”

“Yes, I did. Dada, can I have it? I don’t have no froggie necklaces.”

“You don’t have any froggie necklaces.”

“That’s right, Dada.”

“Bree.”

“Pleeez.”

“Briana, we’re not here to do shopping.”

“I know, Dada, but it reminds me of...” Bree began in a small voice as she looked longingly at the pendant then down at her sandals.

“What does it remind you of?” Brian asked as he squatted down in front of his daughter. Brian took her little hands into his.

“Home, Dada. The froggie reminds me of the frogs at our stream,” Bree said. Brian drew the little girl into his arms. “Please, Dada. I won’t break it and I’ll only wear it for special times. And, and...”

“Okay, Squirt,” Brian said as he hugged her tighter. “Ugh!” he groaned as he stood up with Bree in his arms. “You are getting so big,” Brian said as he nosed her pigtails. “Come on, let’s go get you a frog,” Brian grumbled, making Bree giggle. She knew her Dada’s grumble meant he really wasn’t angry.

“Oh, thank you, Dada!” Bree said as she wrapped her arms around her father’s neck, kissing his cheek. Brian blushed as the saleswoman smiled fondly at the obviously indulgent father buying his daughter the shiny trinket.

“Would the young lady like to wear it now or shall I wrap it?” the woman asked, recognizing Brian as one of Pittsburgh’s prominent businessmen.

“Oh Dada!” Bree said with her violet blue eyes opened wide; she hugged Brian tighter.

“She’ll wear it,” Brian managed to say as he put Bree down so that he could do the honors. He gave the saleswoman his room information so that he could be billed for the necklace.

“There’s a mirror, if the young lady would care to see how she looks wearing the necklace. I think the frog has found a good home,” the woman said as she pointed to the mirror at the edge of the counter.

Brian picked Bree back up so that she could see herself and the necklace. Bree gasped with delight.

“It’s so pretty,” Bree exclaimed as she touched the pendant where it hung against her chest.

“Bri?” Justin called out from the doorway before Brian could make any comment. Justin had become a little concerned at Brian and Bree’s prolonged absence so he went looking for them. “What’s going on? I got worried about you two,” Justin said, smiling and shaking his head. He had a good idea of exactly what happened. “What did you do, Brian?” Justin asked with only the slightest tone of admonishment in his voice.

“Look, Daddy, Dada got me a froggie necklace!” Bree said showing off her necklace and beaming a bright, sunny smile.

“He did? It’s beautiful, Sweetheart,” Justin said as he held out his arms for Bree.

Brian transferred their daughter to Justin then stepped back slightly to admire his blond beauties. Slipping his hand into his pocket, Brian took out his phone. He was unable to resist taking a picture of Bree and Justin and their matching smiles.

“And you’re such a pushover,” Justin said to his spouse.

“The necklace does suit your daughter,” the saleswoman felt obligated to say in Brian’s defense.

“I agree,” Justin confirmed. “Thank you.” Justin put Bree down then took her hand. “Bri, let’s get back before everyone leaves.” Brian took Bree’s other hand.

“What do you say to the nice lady, Squirt?”

“Thank you,” Bree said politely.

“You’re very welcome,” the woman replied sincerely, as the Kinney-Taylor family left the shop to finish brunch with their guests.



*****



“So where the fuck have you been?” Debbie demanded as the Kinney-Taylor family returned to their table in the ballroom.

“We had business to attend to,” Brian said with a wicked wink at Bree and Justin.

“Yeah, business,” Bree agreed, bobbing her head and touching her new froggie necklace before sitting down in her chair.

“Is that new, Bree?” Richie asked craning his neck to see Bree’s newest possession.

“Yes,” Bree said proudly, “my Dada just got it for me. It reminds me of home.”

“It’s beautiful,” Richie said with a wistful look in his eye. The look was not lost on Emmett.

“You look lovely, sweetheart,” Jennifer said proudly. “That necklace seems to remind me of Brian’s favorite kind of wildlife.”

Brian gave his mother-in-law a mock glare before sitting down.

“Yeah, he fell in love with the poisonous tree frogs in Central America,” Bobby piped up.

“But this is like the froggies at our house,” Bree stated firmly.

“And very fine frogs they are,” John added, reaching over and patting Bree’s head.

“I know, Unca John,” Bree stated. “Dada loves them.” She gave her father that sunny Taylor smile, and Brian couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Frogs are very important in the eco-system of our planet,” Raph contributed. He and his family had been invited to the brunch as well.

“If you say so, O great veterinarian,” Brian joked.

“I do say so,” Raph replied with a smile. He knew Brian wasn’t at all as afraid of frogs as he often let on. Everyone knew. But Brian’s aversion to frogs was still a standing joke in the family.

“I need to go to the restroom,” Richie whispered to Emmett.

“Go ahead, sweetie, we’ll be here when you get back,” Emmett said to his son.

As Richie excused himself from the table, Jennifer elbowed Seth. Seth looked at Richie’s back fading out the door of the ballroom. He shrugged, but got to his feet. He quickly made his way out the door.

In the restroom, Seth splashed some water on his face as he waited for Richie to come out of a stall. There didn’t seem to be anyone else in the facility. Seth heard a toilet flush, and then a stall door opened.

“Oh,” Richie said in surprise. “Hi, Mr. Seth.”

“You remember my name?” Seth asked.

“Sure, I’m good with names,” Richie said as he started washing his hands. “You’re Mr. Justin’s stepfather, aren’t you?”

“Well, I guess I am,” Seth replied. He wasn’t used to being referred to in that way.

“Were you waiting for me?” Richie asked, seeing that Seth made no move to use the toilet or urinal.

“Yes,” Seth said honestly.

“Why?” Richie felt a shiver of worry run up his spine. Had he done something bad? Were they going to tell him they didn’t want him at family gatherings?

“Richie. Richie!” Seth repeated.

“Oh, yeah, sorry,” Richie said when he finally heard his name. He ripped off some paper towel and dried his hands. “Have I done something wrong?”

“No, nothing’s wrong,” Seth said shaking his head. “My beautiful wife in her infinite wisdom felt that I should talk to you.”

“About what?” Richie asked with a frown. He tossed the used paper towel into the bin.

“That was exactly what I asked Jennifer when she suggested this.”

“What did she say?”

“She said she thought I could offer you some advice.”

“Do I need advice?”

Seth chuckled. “Apparently not.”

Richie smiled. “What would you tell me if you were going to have this talk with me?” Richie’s eyes sparkled with mischief.

Seth liked this kid the more he saw of him. “I thought I’d tell you that this cwazy wittle family is made up of all kinds.”

“I kind of figured that out,” Richie said. “What kind are you?” He grinned impishly.

“Sometimes I think I’m the token straight guy,” Seth laughed. “But Carl and I have to share that title.”

“Do you mind being singled out as that?” Richie asked, his face a study in seriousness.

“No, I don’t mind. It’s kind of nice to have a special designation.”

“I don’t like being singled out,” Richie admitted. “I tried to hide and be ordinary, be normal, for so long, but it didn’t work.” The boy looked so sad.

Seth placed his hand on Richie’s shoulder. “Hiding, and trying to be something you’re not, will never make you happy, Richie.”

“I guess,” Richie sighed.

“I know. The people in this family will do their best to support you and help you be what you’re meant to be,” Seth stated.

“But … how do I know what I’m supposed to be?”

“Did you feel good during the parade?” Richie nodded. “Were you happy?”

“Yes.”

“Then I would say that you know a little something about what you’re meant to be.”

Richie looked thoughtful as he stared at Seth. “Maybe you’re right … and maybe your wife is a pretty smart woman,” he added with a big grin.

“You better believe she is.”

“We should go back,” Richie said starting towards the door.

“Richie.”

“Yes.” The young boy turned back toward Seth.

“If you ever want to talk, you know how to reach me.”

“Thanks, I’ll remember that,” Richie said as he pulled the restroom door open and they both exited the room.



*****



“Where’s Emmett?” Richie asked as he took his place at the table.

“He’ll be back in a couple of minutes,” Ted informed him.

“Where did he go?”

“Can’t tell you,” Drew said, “or we’d have to kill you.”

Richie frowned and then smiled. He was sure Emmett would return. He had promised to be there when he got back. Richie ate some of the fruit on his plate while he waited. He saw JR and Curtis talking to each other. He kind of wished he was at the table with them, but you couldn’t have everything. He looked over at Bree who smiled at him and touched her froggie necklace. Richie couldn’t help but think how lucky she was to have two parents who loved her and bought her everything she wanted.

“Richie, honey, I got something for you.” Emmett’s voice brought Richie from his reverie back to the reality of the Plaza ballroom.

“You did, what?”

“Open it,” Emmett said with a big grin, as he handed a small box to Richie.

“What is it?” Richie asked excitedly. He could feel his heart pounding. He couldn’t imagine what Emmett had got him.

“Open it and see,” Emmett encouraged him.

Richie gently lifted the lid of the box. He pulled the cotton batting from the top of whatever was inside. A little gasp escaped his lips, and then he just stared into the box.

“Where did you get this?” he asked in awe.

“From the same shop that Bree’s necklace came from,” Emmett explained.

“What is it, Richie?” Bree asked moving over to Richie’s table to see what he had received.

“It’s beautiful,” Richie said. He lifted the piece of jewelry from the box. “It’s a beautiful silver bracelet.”

“Ooh, nice,” Bree said.

“Try it on,” Emmett suggested. “Let me help you.” Emmett took the silver ID bracelet from Richie and undid the clasp. He carefully did it up around Richie’s slim wrist. “The lady in the store said we can have some links taken out if it’s too big. And we can get it engraved with your name if you like.”

“My name?”

“Yes, Richie or Richard or … I had thought maybe 1st PRIDE.”

“First PRIDE,” Richie repeated. “I like that.”

“Oooh, I hoped you would. You can wear it till we’re ready to leave the hotel, and then we’ll drop it off at the shop to get it engraved.”

Richie stared at his wrist and the lovely piece of silver that now adorned it. Tears threatened to fall. “I … I don’t know what to say, Emmett. Thank you so much. It’s … wonderful.”

“My pleasure, Richie,” Emmett replied as the two hugged … hard.

“Can I have a piece of that?” Drew asked, and Richie was happy to oblige with a big hug.

“You’re both so kind to me.”

“We love you, sweetie. We wanted your first PRIDE to be special.”

“It has been,” Richie said. He glanced over at Seth who gave him a quiet thumbs up. Maybe being singled out in this family wasn’t so bad after all.



*****



“So what are you two boys doing for the Summer?” Debbie asked as she cornered Gus and Ray at the buffet table. The growing teens were loading up ‘thirds’ before the wait staff began to clear off the tables. “Besides eating your way through to the Fall, I mean,” Debbie added as she spied their full plates.

“Oh, Grandmaw,” Gus teased as he shoved a strip of crispy bacon in his mouth.

“Gus is going to intern at his Dad’s Harrisburg branch for July and I’m not so sure what I’m going to do,” Ray began to politely explain as his boyfriend was stuffing his face. “We were going to go back to NY for our PRIDE and then come right back but we changed our plans,” Ray conceded and was silently relieved at their decision. Ray wasn’t in any hurry to meet up with Wayne. There’d be time enough for a confrontation when Ray finally did go home.

“I may have a solution for that,” Bobby said as he approached them, overhearing the conversation. “Part Deux isn’t that far from my office and I could use my own intern for the month.”

“But I don’t know anything about the law,” Ray said.

“You don’t have to. You’re studying business in college, aren’t you?” Bobby asked Ray.

“Yes and engineering.”

“Well, I’m a lawyer that specializes in business contracts and charitable institutions. I think you may find something to relate to. Besides, I don’t think you want to be totally idle. Even Brian does more than just play in his gardens all day. He does do some work,” Bobby teased. He knew very well that Brian had his hands in everything that his branches did even if it was via remote access with his computer.

“Thank you, Mr. Morrison! I’d love to work with you.”

“We’ll keep a log of your hours and your agenda. You can submit it to your advisor when you go back in the Fall and see if you qualify for extra credit.”

“Wow! Thank you!” Ray said with a big smile.

“Thank you, Uncle Bobby,” Gus mumbled around a slice of fruit. Bobby and Debbie chuckled.

“You boys go eat at the table like humans,” Debbie said as she pointed to a table.

“Yes ma’am,” Ray and Gus murmured obediently as they took their bounty to a table to eat properly.

“You know, we’re always comparing Gus to his father but there is one big difference between them,” Debbie said as she and Bobby walked back to their tables.

“What’s that?”

“Their appetites.”

“I’m not so sure about that. They both have healthy appetites; it’s just Gus’ runs more toward food while Brian’s...”

“Runs toward sex,” Debbie snarked.

“Yes but not just any sex,” Bobby said as he smiled fondly at his brother-in-law who was trying to be inconspicuous as he was stealing kisses from Bree and Justin. Bree was sitting on Brian’s lap showing off her new necklace to her daddies.

“You’re right, Brian’s addiction is his Sunshine and his family. How the mighty have fallen.”

“Not fallen, Deb, risen. He’s risen above what he might have been to become what he always had in him. What you, Justin and his brother have encouraged in him. He’s happy, Debbie.”

“I can see that. And I don’t know anyone more deserving,” Debbie said sincerely as she patted Bobby’s cheek before joining Carl.

“And what were you and Debbie conspiring about?” Brian asked with a suspicious arch of his brow.

“Nothing. We both agree that you’ve evolved into a nice human being,” Bobby mentioned smugly and said nothing more on the matter. He and John exchanged loving glances.

Brian took it all in then looked around the room at the members of his cwazy widdle family. It was one of those rare occasions when the family was able to revel in quiet conversation. “You know something, Sunshine?”

“What, Bri?”

“Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve all this,” Brian said trying to be sarcastic but failing.

“I know.”

“Yeah? What?” Brian smirked at Justin.

“You finally wised up and married me,” Justin said with a straight face.

“Yeah, I did,” Brian whispered as he leaned in to kiss Justin’s lips. Brian frowned when they broke apart. “One thing I’m not so wise about.”

“What’s that?” Justin asked with concern.

“That,” Brian said indicating JR, Michael, Ben and Lindsay. Melanie was conspicuously absent from their little party. JR looked a little lost even though she was happy to be with her father and Curtis. It still hurt that so far there wasn’t any resolution to her differences with her mother. Lindsay wasn’t looking any happier either.

“How many more times are you going to try to fix their marriage? They have to work things out on their own,” Justin said wisely.

“I know but I don’t like to see Lindsay and JR so unhappy.”

“Bri, you've given those two every opportunity to connect and reconnect. It’s up to them to determine if their marriage is worth fighting for. Maybe it’s time for them to finally move on.” Brian nodded sadly. Justin reached up, placing his hand behind Brian’s neck to pull him closer for another kiss. “Take us home,” Justin said.

Brian smiled. It was time for him to take his family home.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 4





“Ashley, can you come over and play?”

“I don’t know, but I could ask my mommy.”

“Will she let you?”

“She might.”

“Tell her pleeeeze, coz I’m really, really lonesome,” Bree said with a big sigh into the telephone.

“Okay, wait a minute,” Ashley responded as she set down the phone to go ask her mother.

Bree waited patiently, but when Ashley didn’t come right back, she began to doubt that her plan was going to work.

“What are you doing, Squirt?”

Bree jumped and almost dropped the phone. She turned to face her father. “Um…”

“Squirt!” Brian said making his displeasure clear.

“I … I was talking to Ashley.”

“About what?”

“Um…”

“One more ‘um’ and you will spend the rest of the afternoon in your bedroom,” Brian warned. “Tell me the truth.”

“I asked her to come over to play,” Bree said in a very small voice.

“Did you ask me or your Daddy if that was all right?”

Bree stared at the floor, but she shook her head.

“I didn’t hear you.”

“No, Dada.”

“Then I don’t think Ashley will be coming over.”

“But…”

“Bree, Bree, are you there?” a voice called from the phone.

Bree handed the phone to her father.

“Ashley, Bree called you without permission,” Brian said into the phone.

“Oh,” Ashley replied. “My mommy said she had to speak to you or Mr. Justin before she would take me to your place. I guess I won’t be coming over, huh?”

“Not today, Ashley, but maybe later in the week,” Brian replied.

“Okay, Mr. Brian. Bye.”

“Bye, Ashley,” Brian responded before hanging the phone back on the wall. He turned to face his daughter who continued to stare at the floor, gently moving her foot back and forth over the surface of the slate beneath her. “What do you have to say for yourself, Squirt?”

Bree perked up when her father called her Squirt. That usually meant that she wasn’t in really big trouble. He would have called her Briana Victoria if that was the case.

“I wanted somebody to play with,” Bree said with her best sad face painted on.

“What about Patrick?”

“He’s getting ready to go to baseball camp.”

“You could get ready to go to soccer camp,” Brian suggested.

Bree shook her head. “I don’t have nuffin to get ready.”

“Clothes?”

Bree shook her head again. “We have to wear our soccer uniforms.”

“Oh,” Brian replied. He was fresh out of suggestions. “I should send you to your room for a couple of hours,” he added as an afterthought.

“I don’t want to go there.”

Brian stifled a chuckle and cleared his throat. “How about you come outside and help me do some weeding?”

“’Kay, Dada.”

‘That was too easy,’ Brian thought. He really should punish his precocious daughter. He started walking through the sun porch heading outside. He knew Bree was following him. “You know you need our permission to arrange play dates, don’t you, Squirt?” he asked as he stopped at the door of the sun porch.

“Yes, Dada.”

“Then why did you call Ashley without permission?”

“I don’t know.”

“I think you do know.”

Bree frowned. “I called Ashley coz there’s no girls around here to play with and Gus isn’t here yet and Patrick was busy and nobody would do nuffin with me.”

Brian sucked in his lips as he looked at his daughter standing in front of him with a severe pout on her face. “Sometimes it’s lonely here for you, isn’t it, Squirt?”

Bree looked up into her father’s kind eyes. “Yes, Dada,” she whispered.

“Just ask us first before you take matters into your own hands.”

“’Kay, Dada.”

“Come here, Squirt.” Brian squatted down and Bree ran into his waiting arms. “We love you, Bree. We want you to be happy, but there are rules to be followed.”

“I know, Dada,” Bree replied squeezing her father as hard as he was hugging her.

“You don’t have to come to garden with me if you don’t want to,” Brian whispered in her ear.

“I want to Dada,” Bree said kissing her father’s cheek. “I love gar-gar.”

“So do I,” Brian said as he stood up and took Bree’s hand. “Let’s go get those wascally weeds, and I’ll tell you all about a new business I’m thinking of starting.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree said happily. If she couldn’t play with Ashley, gar-gar with her Dada was the next best thing.



*****



When Justin arrived home from an art supply run to Harrisburg, he found his husband and his daughter digging in the garden.

“What are you two up to?” he called to them.

“Nothing.”

“Nuffin,” came the replies.

Justin shook his head. Sometimes those two were too much alike. “Come in here and have some cookies and milk with me.”

“Yay! Cookies!” Bree yelled standing up and wiping her dirty hands down the sides of her pink pants.

Justin groaned at the sight, but couldn’t help but chuckle when Brian stood up and did the same thing. He gave Justin an evil grin. They really were a pair.

“Get in here before you make more of a mess than you already have,” Justin said shaking his head at his very bad husband.

Brian crossed the yard and reached Justin first, giving his husband a warm kiss. “Gar-gar dirt is the best,” he said with a smirk.

“Yeah, the best,” Bree added. She stood on tiptoes to give her father a kiss too.

“You two haven’t gardened together in quite a while,” Justin observed as they headed for the kitchen and the cookies he had bought at the bakery in Harrisburg.

“It’s been too long, hasn’t it, Squirt?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, too long.”

“Go get cleaned up, Bree,” Justin advised. “What brought on the gardening spree?” he asked as Bree ran to her room to wash up.

“Our daughter gets lonesome sometimes.”

“Wha…what? Lonesome?” Justin asked with a frown.

“She really wants a girl around here.”

“But…”

“I’m not suggesting another child. I’m just stating a fact,” Brian said quickly. “I think Bree needs to do more things with us, or we need to get her those piano lessons … or something.”

“Okay,” Justin said uncertainly. “Let’s really start looking for a piano and the person who can teach her.”

Brian nodded before going to wash up too.



*****



“Jackie, is that you?” Claire asked from the vicinity of her kitchen sink.

“It’s me, Mother. Were you expecting your other son?” John joked.

“Not today. He seems to know when you’re about to visit so he hides. I think he’s intimidated by you,” Claire replied, not skipping a beat.

“And why would he be scared?” John asked as he snuck a homemade cookie out of the cookie jar then kissed his mother’s cheek.

“Because you always steal his cookies.”

“That’s not me,” John said as he took a large bite then stole another. “That’s your husband.”

“Ah, well that explains it,” Claire said as she shook her head then got John a small dish for the purloined cookies. She then got him a tall glass of milk.

“Thank you,” John mumbled with his mouth full.

“Now that we have your identity established, what brings you by today? Not that I’m complaining, mind you, I love it when you visit. I miss not having you and Bobby nearby.”

“You just miss me working on the house and around the farm.”

“And you just miss my cookies.”

“Mom.”

“I give as I get and you’re avoiding my question.” John sighed. “Jackie, what is it? You know you can tell me anything.”

“I know, Mom. For as long as I can remember, it’s always been you and me. I just don’t know how to tell you.”

“Does this have something to do with Samantha Howard?” John nodded. Claire studied her son’s face. “Did she tell you that her daughter was yours?” John stopped in mid chew to look at his mother.

“Jackie,” Claire began as she sat in the chair next to her son. She gently removed the cookie out of John’s hand and placed it back on the plate. “Sweetheart, I knew that baby couldn’t be yours.”

John swallowed hard. “How?”

“Timing and I saw pictures of the baby. Back then, Samantha’s parents were very proud of their married daughter and their new granddaughter.”

“Mom, it wasn’t the dark ages; it was the eighties,” John stated knowing why his mother emphasized the word married.

“Jackie, the eighties in a small town where everyone knows where everyone’s dirty laundry is kept. I was an unmarried mother with a teenaged son. It didn’t matter what decade it was.”

“But how did you know that I wasn’t the father?”

“Because I recognized a premature baby when I saw one. Remember I used to earn extra money helping old Doc Adams with his rounds. I saw lots of preemies born to some of the indigent farmers.”

“I remember. As bad as we sometimes had it, they had it worse.”

“That’s why Steve would hire as many as he could during planting and harvesting seasons. Jackie, if Grace was yours, I would have welcomed her with open arms, but she’s not. It might have been wishful thinking on Samantha’s part. Somewhere in the back of her mind she wanted that baby to be yours. I remember hearing that she had a rough pregnancy. Her mother couldn’t afford to fly to California to be with Samantha. And Samantha was young. Young women sometimes have a difficult time.”

“I’m sorry,” John said with tears in his eyes. He slid off his chair, kneeling on the floor in front of Claire. John buried his head in his mother’s lap.

“Jackie, you have nothing to be sorry about,” she said as she gently stroked her son’s hair. “You’ve always been very responsible.”

“Mom, you don’t understand. I think I may have wanted a daughter.”

“Oh honey.” Claire hugged her son as he sniffled into her apron. “You and Bobby have a beautiful child. You can still have another child.”

“I’m fifty-three years old,” John informed his mother as he sat back on his chair.

“So. You’re a young fifty-three and Bobby’s only forty-six. You can adopt or find a surrogate.”

“No thank you, I barely have the energy to keep up with the two of them as it is. Throw the princess into the mix and I’m exhausted. I have no clue how Brian and Justin keep up with her.”

“Vitamins.”

“What?”

“Vitamins. I asked Justin one day when Bree was having one of her more precocious moments. He admitted that he took vitamins and got Brian to take them too. Stress can deplete you.”

“Hmm, so I’ve heard.”

“And you’ve been extremely stressed lately.”

“Yeah. I got the definitive results about Grace the day of the PRIDE parade.”

“But that was only a week ago. Jackie, why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I didn’t want you to worry unnecessarily. I was worrying enough for everyone.”

“Bet Brian was ready to do battle,” Claire commented making John laugh.

“Yeah, he was ready to take on the world on my behalf. As it was he had a little fun with Samantha.”

“Oh don’t tell me.”

“Yup, he pulled the ‘I look enough like John to fool people’ routine. Had the poor woman going for a while until we rescued her. But it’s all over. Samantha has her proof and so do I. Although sometimes I wish...”

“If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.”

“Yeah, and be careful what you wish for. I know, Mom.”

“Have you considered adopting an older child like Emmett and Drew have?”

“Not really, but maybe I should discuss it with Bobby. I know Bree would love to have another little girl around the cottage. There are far too many boys in her life.”

“Maybe you should suggest it to Brian and Justin,” Claire said with a twinkle in her eye.

“For a Christian woman, you have a lot of the devil in you.”

“I learned it from my son.”

“Your other son you mean, the one who’s afraid I’ll steal all the cookies,” John said as he popped a whole cookie into his mouth.

“How’s your thesis coming along?” Claire asked as she got her son more milk.

“It’s coming along nicely. If I’m lucky I get to defend it in November. If it’s accepted, I’ll be Doctor John by Christmas.”

“Oh Jackie!” Claire threw her arms around him. “I’m so proud of you,” she said as she kissed his cheeks. “I wish Patience and Aidan were still alive. They’d be so proud of you.”

“You’ll just have to be proud enough for them too. Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For being the best mother a guy could ever have.”

“I’ll always be there for you, you know that.”

“I know.”

Mother and son shared a few more hugs and kisses.

“Here, take these home before my other son eats them all,” Claire teased as she emptied the contents of the cookie jar into a large plastic bag then handed them to John.

“Thank you, they won’t go to waste,” John assured Claire.

Before he left, John slowly walked out of the kitchen through the dining room into the living room. He looked around his childhood home. Some things hadn’t changed.

“Grandma’s vase,” he murmured as he gently touched the colorful vase on the mantel.

“She loved it,” Claire mentioned.

“Grandpa Aidan’s old pipe. Grandma hated when he smoked.”

“I know. Aidan would go hide in the barn to smoke it, but of course Patience could smell the tobacco.”

“I think I remember that,” John said with a thoughtful smile.

“Mom, what’s under here?” John asked. There was what looked like some sort of sideboard pushed into the far corner of the room. It was covered by an embroidered cloth. “This has been in this corner forever.”

“That’s Aidan’s old upright.”

“A what?”

“You don’t remember, do you? Aidan played the piano. Not very well but he tried. But then as he grew older his arthritis prevented him from playing. Patience had embroidered this coverlet and it’s been in that corner ever since.”

“Why don’t I remember it?”

“You never showed any interest in music other than listening to heavy metal, and you were busy on the farm and at school. Once a month I’d wash the coverlet then put it back. You were probably in school at the time and never noticed what was under it.”

“I guess I thought it was just another sideboard. It never occurred to me to look underneath. You know Bree really wants a regular piano. That little pink thing went over like a lead balloon.”

“It’ll need a major cleaning and tuning but I can’t think of anyone more deserving. And I think Aidan would approve.”

“I’ll talk to Brian. Maybe we can surprise Bree on July 4th. She can entertain the family.”

“She’d love that.”

“Yes she would. And I love you,” John said as he planted one last kiss on his mother’s cheek. “Much more than your other son does,” John teased.

“Oh you,” Claire said as she waved a dish towel at her son. “Out. Now. Before I sic my other son on you.” John laughed as he took his cookies and ran out the door.



*****



“Hey,” Gus called as he walked into the loft with their dinner.

“Hi. Mmm, that smells good,” Ray said as he sniffed the air.

“Yeah, Emm outdid himself.”

“I thought you were going to the diner,” Ray said as he got out the dishes and utensils while Gus unpacked their food.

“I was then I thought I had a few extra bucks in my pocket, why not spend it on something more than diner food. Although, Lacy has really improved the food. I was just in the mood for something more creative so I went to the bistro.”

“Whatever the reason, this is really good,” Ray said as he bit into something unidentifiable but scrumptious. “Gus, when do we go to the cottage?”

“I was thinking we’d go up next week before Pop has his 4th of July bash.”

“Didn’t we just have a Memorial Day bash?”

“Seems like it. But knowing Pop, he’ll have another barbecue.”

“You mean, knowing Justin and Emmett, your dad will have another barbecue.”

“Yeah, that too,” Gus said. The boys laughed then resumed their meal.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 5





“Are you ready?” Drew asked as he came through the sun porch door.

“As I’m likely to be,” Brian replied.

“Then let’s get this show on the road.”

“John’s coming with us.”

“Good, another pair of hands, and strong biceps, will be welcome. We can take the Hummer.”

“I think the piano may be a little too big for the Hummer or John’s SUV. Steve will be there and we can bring the piano here in the back of his pickup.”

“Okay,” Drew agreed. “We can drive over in the Hummer and if it won’t fit, we’ll use the pickup.”

“Sorry to hold you up,” John said coming in from his side of the cottages. “Bobby wants to come too. He’ll be here in a minute.”

“The more the merrier,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Isn’t Justin coming?” Drew asked.

“He and Bree are baking cookies. The piano is a surprise for Bree,” Brian said in a whisper. “He’s keeping her busy.”

“Oh, then let’s keep our voices down so the princess won’t find out,” Drew said with a chuckle. “Emmett will be up soon to give them a hand.”

“I better tell them we’re going,” Brian said as Bobby appeared.

“Hey, pastry chefs,” Brian called, “we’re leaving.”

“Where are you going, Dada?” Bree asked sticking her head into the sun porch. Her nose had a daub of flour on the end and her hands looked gooey. Justin followed her into the porch.

“We’ll be back soon,” Brian said quickly.

“But where are you going?” Bree persisted. “Can I come?”

“No, Squirt, we have something important to do. You need to finish the cookies you and Daddy are making.”

Bree glared at her father, obviously not happy at being left behind. “I can do important stuff,” she declared.

Drew stifled a laugh and waited to see how Brian would handle this.

“I want some of your delicious cookies when I get back,” Brian said bending down to kiss the frowning forehead.

“Okay, but you better eat three cookies,” Bree bargained.

“Okay, three it is,” Brian agreed.

“Make big ones, Bree,” John told his niece. “Your Dada needs fattening up.

“’Kay, Unca John.”

Now it was Brian’s turn to glare. “Let’s get going,” he said hoping to get out of there before he had to eat even more cookies.

“Come on, Bree, letĀ’s make those supersize cookies for Dada,” Justin said with an evil wink at his husband.

“Fucking cookies!” Brian muttered as they all headed out the sun porch door.



*****



“Daddy, where’s Dada going?” Bree asked as they dropped cookie dough onto the cookie sheet.

“He’s running an errand,” Justin said trying not to reveal too much.

“It didn’t sound like an errand,” Bree observed. “He said it was important.”

“Well, it is an errand,” Justin replied. He was trying to figure out what to say to his perceptive daughter when he heard a welcome sound.

“Hallooooo!” Emmett called as he came through the sun porch.

“In here,” Justin replied glad of the interruption.

“And what are you two up to?” Emmett asked scooping some cookie dough out of the bowl with one of his fingers. He sucked it into his mouth. “That’s yummy.”

“It’s Gamma Susan’s choca chip cookies,” Bree said. “But you’re apposed to wait till it’s cooked, Auntie Emm,” Bree warned him.

“Well, paaaardon moi,” Emmett said with a giggle. “I couldn’t resist your culinary arts.”

“Huh?” Bree said.

“You make good cookies, sweetie,” Emmett said kissing the top of Bree’s head.

“Where’s Richie?” Bree asked.

“He has some reading to do to catch up with his studies. I left him to it.”

“Can we send Richie some cookies, Daddy?”

“We certainly can, once they’re cooked,” Justin said as he gave Emmett’s hand a slap when it reached for some more cookie dough. “Let’s get these in the oven.”



*****



“You sure Claire doesn’t mind parting with this piano?” Brian asked as they rode along in the Hummer.

“I never knew it was a piano,” John laughed. “It’s been sitting in the living room of our house for my whole life. I thought it was a sideboard.”

“Nobody ever played it?” Bobby asked.

“Apparently Aidan did. It was his piano, but when he died, it was never played again.”

“It will need a serious tuning,” Drew observed as he steered the vehicle towards Claire’s. “That’s a long time for a piano to sit idle.”

“How much will that cost me, and who will I get to do it?” Brian asked with a sigh.

“I don’t know any local piano tuners,” Drew said. “But I’m sure there are some in Pittsburgh.”

“I need a piano teacher too.”

“There’s probably someone local for that,” Bobby said.

“Did any of you take music lessons?” Brian asked.

Everyone except Drew shook their head.

“My mother was too busy trying to keep us fed and together to worry about music,” John stated. “I kind of wish I had taken lessons though. I enjoy hearing Bree play.”

“I started piano lessons when I was eight, but I hated them,” Bobby said. “When I got interested in baseball, my mother let me off the hook for music lessons.”

“Looks like you’re the only prodigy in the group, Drew,” Brian said with a chuckle.

“Hardly a prodigy, but I’m kind of glad now that I made that agreement with my mother,” Drew admitted as he pulled the Hummer into Claire’s lane.



*****



“Easy, don’t scratch it,” Brian said as Drew, John and Bobby hoisted the piano onto the back of Steve’s pickup.

“Thanks for your sage advice, little brother,” John said sarcastically, “but I don’t see you bustin’ a gut to get this thing onto the truck. It must weigh a ton.”

“Someone has to supervise,” Brian said with a smirk.

“There, it’s on,” Bobby said heaving a huge sigh. “I thought since it was a smaller piano, it wouldn’t weigh so much.”

“It’s old,” Claire added. “Old things tend to weigh more. They were more substantial. And don’t say it,” she threatened with a look at Brian.

“I wouldn’t dare say anything, Miss Claire, after you so kindly donated this fine instrument to my daughter’s musical education.”

“You know I love that little girl. I hope she enjoys it.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian replied.

“Three.”

“Four.”

“Five.”

“Six,” came the list of replies.

Everyone laughed as they tied the piano securely in the back of the truck.

“I’ll drive the truck,” Steve offered. “Someone should ride in the back with the piano just to make sure that it doesn’t tip over.”

“I’ll do that,” Brian volunteered hopping up onto the pickup bed.

“About time you did something useful, little brother. I’ll ride with you,” John offered.

“Me too,” Bobby said.

“I have to drive the Hummer,” Drew said sadly, looking rather longingly at the other men who were situating themselves in the back of the truck.

“Remembering the wind in your hair, dear?” Claire asked him. Drew nodded. “It is fun to ride in an open truck.”

“If you want to ride with the other boys,” Steve said, “you could come back with me later and get the Hummer. It’s not that far.”

“Okay,” Drew readily agreed, hopping up onto the pickup, and not giving a thought to the three trips he was going to be making back and forth.

“You boys behave yourselves,” Claire admonished. “I’m going to ride with Steve. I want to see the princess’ reaction.”

“We’ll be good, mother,” John said.

“Don’t let that brother of yours cause any trouble, Jackie,” she added with a grin and a wink at John.

“I’ll be good,” Brian replied. “It’s the least I can do.”

Claire smiled and got into the cab of the truck. Before they started away, they could hear Steve and Claire having a brief discussion.

“I don’t think she meant you,” John said as they finally pulled away from the farmhouse.

“Do you have another long lost brother I don’t know anything about?” Brian asked.

“No, it’s a private joke.”

Brian raised an eyebrow, but didn’t pursue it.

“So, is Bree going to like this piano better than the pink one?” Bobby asked.

“She fucking better,” Brian retorted.

John laughed. “The princess is nothing if not unpredictable.”

“Bite your tongue.”

“I’m glad she didn’t come with us to get the piano,” Drew said. “I still have nightmares about taking her to the Christmas tree lot.”

“I think she wants to do that with you again this year,” Brian added wickedly.

“Bite your tongue,” Drew reacted.

“I’d rather have Justin bite it,” Brian smirked.

“Eiieew, TMI.” John said making a face.

“Like you never take a nip out of Bobby’s tongue.”

“Never,” John said solemnly.

“Liar.”

“Am not,” John argued.

“Maybe it’s that naughty brother of yours who does,” Brian said with an arch of his brow, earning a glare from John.

“Will you two stop bickering?” Drew said. “We’re almost at Edna’s Treasures.”

Brian leaned over the side of the truck and keyed in the code for the gate to open. Bree would soon have her piano.



*****



Before the beep sounded indicating the gate mechanism had been triggered, Bree was up and out the front door like a shot.

“Dada!” she shrieked.

“How does she do that?” Emmett asked out loud. The remaining men folk were sitting in the kitchen nibbling some of the warm cookies.

Richie had walked up from Emmett’s dream cottage after he finished his reading. Patrick had come in from his room where he was studying his baseball camp material. His dads were not only sending him to the day camp but Patrick was going to the away camp where he could eat, sleep and play baseball for two intense weeks. Bree was working on her own dads. Her soccer camp had a sleep away program as well. Justin was all for it; he had positive childhood camp experiences. However, Justin and Bree knew it was going to take a lot to convince Brian that his little baby girl was old enough to face the big wide world without him for two weeks.

“She’s always had her Dada-dar,” Patrick explained matter-of-factly as he munched a gooey chocolate chip cookie.

“Oh,” Emmett said with a shrug as if that made any more sense. Richie also shrugged as he sipped his milk.

“Even as a baby she knew when Brian was driving up the lane. Kept me in shape running after her,” Justin chuckled as he got up to follow his daughter. The guys decided to do the same.

“Dada!” Bree called out as she saw her father in the back of the old pickup. It was slowly making its way closer to the cottage. It was followed closely by the Hummer.

“I’m glad Claire suggested to have Steve drive the Hummer,” Drew commented. Riding in the bed of the pickup wasn’t the most comfortable thing to do. He was happy he no longer had to make a second trip to the farm.

“Well, I’m impressed,” Brian began. “Your mother really knows how to handle the pickup,” Brian said to John.

“Oh my, was that a compliment?” Claire teased Brian as she climbed down out of the cab of the truck, overhearing Brian.

“Yes, it was, Miss Claire. You handle this truck like a pro,” Brian admitted quietly as he kissed Claire’s cheek. Claire blushed at Brian’s sincere praise.

Before they had left the farm, Claire decided to change the driving arrangements. She realized that it wasn’t a good idea to drive the truck on the highway with the boys in the back. It was more prudent to take the back roads to Edna’s Treasures. Claire volunteered to drive the truck while Steve drove Drew’s massive Hummer. They slowly traversed the back roads with Steve following, keeping one eye on the truck with its precious cargo and the other on the road.

“I did grow up on a farm,” Claire said reasonably as a strawberry blond whirlwind jumped up into her Dada’s arms.

“What’s in the truck, Dada?” They had the piano protected by a heavily padded tarp.

“This is a very special piano,” Brian said as he carried Bree toward the truck. “This belonged to Uncle John’s grandfather.” Brian hesitated to say that Aidan was also his grandfather. Brian had only one memory of the kindly big man. John had wonderful memories and stories to tell.

“John and Grandma Claire have decided that you should have it,” Brian explained further.

“Really!” Bree exclaimed with a surprised gasp. “It’s going to be all mine?”

“Yes, Squirt, all yours. Once we get this thing cleaned up and properly tuned, we’ll get you real lessons. Now, what do you say to your uncle and grandmother?”

“Oh thank you, Unca John!” Bree cried out with glee. She reached out her little arms for her uncle; Brian willingly transferred Bree to John.

“Thank you,” Justin whispered to Claire, giving her a hug and a kiss just before John pulled his mother into Bree’s hug.

“While this love-fest continues, how do we get this thing into the house? And where do we put it?” Brian asked the remaining men.

“I can help with the first part,” Steve said as he got into the truck to drive it up the driveway closer to the front door.

“And I think I can help with the second part. You know, sometimes your minimalist tendencies are a good thing,” Emmett commented. “There’s a cozy corner in the living room that would be perfect,” Emmett said as he took Brian’s arm to show him what he was talking about.

“Emily, sometimes you do come up with good ideas,” Brian complimented Emmett in his own snarky way. Emmett curtsied then went to fetch a vacuum to prepare the already immaculate corner for the instrument.

“Not the sun porch?” Bobby questioned. All hands were on deck to hoist the spinet out of the truck bed and onto the narrow walkway that meandered in the front of the cottage toward the main door.

“I think if we try to put one more stick of furniture in the porch, your husband is going to have to enlarge it,” Brian groaned as he put his shoulder into his end of the piano.

“Yeah, you’re right,” Bobby admitted as he pushed his end.

The wheels on the bottom of the feet barely wanted to turn so the boys took hold of whatever straight edge they could get a grip on then lifted the piano so they could walk it into the house.

“Looks like it needs a good scrubbing,” Brian commented as they gathered near to admire the piano.

“You don’t ‘scrub’ a piano,” Drew said with exasperation.

“Then what do you do to it?” Brian asked with a glare.

“You call in a proper tuner. The hammers might need to be replaced, the levers will certainly need to be oiled and the springs....”

“Okay, Liberace, I get it. I’ll talk to Allen, he should know the best person for the job,” Brian said as he held up his hands in surrender. Satisfied with Brian's response, Drew placed the bench in front of the spinet, sat down then gently raised the protective key guard.

“Unca Drew?” Bree sidled up to the big man. He lifted her onto his lap.

“This old girl hasn’t been played in a long time, Bree, and it just got all shook up on the ride over here. So don’t be surprised if the only notes you hear are dull thuds. But why don’t you try Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,” Drew softly suggested. Emmett sniffled as he watched with awe. His big he-man football player was truly a gentle giant. He reached out to take Richie’s hand, smiling fondly at the boy. Richie returned the smile, knowing his fathers were the sweetest and kindest of men.

“Okay, Unca Drew,” Bree replied kissing the quarterback’s cheek. Drew helped Bree to find middle ‘C’ then positioned her hands. The spinet keys were perfect for little fingers.

“The sound won’t be as full like your piano at school but it will be better than your pink piano. But remember some of the keys may not work at all until your fathers get it tuned,” Drew reiterated. He didn’t want Bree to be too disappointed. Bree nodded then began to play.

The piano squawked, dinged and protested but it reluctantly made some recognizable sounds. When the song was over and Bree received her applause, Drew insisted that they give the piano a rest.

“She has to get used to her new home,” Drew instructed, “and we could do further damage trying to play her before she’s ready.”

“Okay, Unca Drew, I understand,” Bree said as Drew got more kisses before Bree slid off his knee.

“That was very good, Sweetheart,” Justin said giving Bree a hug.

Brian remained quiet, sucking his lips into his mouth. His little girl was growing up way too fast for his liking, and with the ability to charm all the big macho men.

“You okay?” Justin asked his mate as he gently steered Brian toward the kitchen under the pretense of making lunch for the macho men and ladies. Justin knew the look on Brian’s face and realized he needed a moment to get his emotions under control.

“We have a beautiful family, Sunshine,” Brian whispered into Justin’s ear as he drew the younger man close.

“Yes, we do,” Justin agreed as he wrapped his arms around Brian’s waist and pressed the side of his face into Brian’s chest. “Come on, let’s feed everyone,” Justin said after a while. Brian nodded, kissing his lover then releasing him so they could fix lunch.



*****



“So are we going to the cottage with your mothers or is your dad coming to get us?” Ray asked as they were eating lunch at the diner.

“You know I have no clue,” Gus answered honestly. “My moms are still not talking to each other. I just don’t get them sometimes. Every couple has arguments, but my moms’ arguments are legendary. I can’t tell you how many times I thought they’d break up for good. Then Pop comes along and fixes everything. He sent them to Florida, set up romantic weekends for them at the Plaza and even helped with their cottage. They don’t appreciate it, especially Mama. Just when I think she’s gotten over her ‘I hate all things Brian Kinney’ phase, she starts all over again.”

“I’m sorry, Gus.”

“You don’t have anything to be sorry about, but thanks.”

“Hey, at least your fathers are cool.”

“Yeah,” Gus mumbled around a pickle.

“Hi, guys,” Ted said as he and Allen came into the diner and walked toward the boys’ table.

“Hi, Uncle Ted,” Gus replied.

“Hi, Mr. Schmidt.”

“Hi, Ray. I’m glad I caught you. Your stuff arrived yesterday.”

“Great, we’ll come by later to pick it up.”

“It’s heavy, what’d you get, rocks?” They all laughed.

"Nah, my dad shipped me my clothes. I decided to stay instead of going back for the NY PRIDE. Mr. Morrison offered me an internship at his law firm for July. I needed some good clothes.”

“Very true, you can’t intern in jeans and t-shirts,” Ted wisely counseled both boys. “You both will gain experience in business and it’ll look great on your resumes.”

“If you’re going back to Kinnetik after lunch we’ll follow you and pick up the box,” Gus offered. Ted nodded then he and Allen joined the boys for lunch and to catch up on the latest gossip.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 6





“Hey, Justin, have you got a pot of coffee on?”

“I’ll start one right now,” Justin replied into the phone. “Are you at the cottage?”

“Yeah, Taylor and I came up a day early. Owen will be here tomorrow.”

“Come on up, and bring my nephew. I haven’t seen him for weeks,” Justin instructed his sister.

“I was hoping you’d say that,” Molly replied. “Be there in a few.”

Justin hung up the phone and went to start the coffee. He got out a plate of the chocolate chip cookies he and Bree had made.

“Hello,” Molly called a few minutes later as she pushed open the front door of Edna’s Treasures.

“In the kitchen,” Justin replied. Before he could turn around a little blond tornado came racing across the kitchen floor and attached himself to Justin’s leg.

“Dust,” Taylor said with a big smile.

“That’s Uncle Dust to you, buddy,” Justin laughed as he picked up the little boy.

Taylor wrapped his arms around Justin’s neck and gave him a big slobbery kiss.

“Yummy,” Justin laughed wiping his cheek. “How about some cookies and milk for our little man?” Taylor nodded many times to illustrate his enthusiasm.

“I have his sippy cup here,” Molly said pulling it out of the cloth bag she carried. It contained all the necessities for a toddler.

“When did you get to be such a big boy?” Justin asked Taylor. He tickled his belly eliciting a big giggle from the little boy.

“Where’s Bree?” Molly asked as Justin got Taylor situated on a chair at the kitchen table. He picked up a cookie and looked at Molly for permission to give it to Taylor. “Half,” Molly said. As soon as Justin handed the half cookie to Taylor, he started stuffing the gooey mass into his mouth. “Slowly,” Molly ordered which did slow the boy down a fraction.

“Bree and Brian have gone to pick up some supplies for the barbecue this weekend.”

“You’re not having three quarters of Pittsburgh again, are you?” Molly asked with a worried look on her face.

Justin laughed. “No, just half of Pittsburgh. Actually, we’re only having the residents of this lane, small and intimate,” he averred.

“Riiight! That’s only, what, twenty, thirty people?” Molly asked with an evil grin.

“Which is considerably less than we had here for Memorial Day,” Justin informed her.

“True. So, how’s the princess?”

Justin chuckled. “She’s peachy … to quote Brian. We finally got her a real piano.”

“Oh? Where’s the grand instrument?” Molly asked looking around.

“It’s not a grand piano,” Justin said shaking his head. “We’re not that extravagant with Bree.”

“No, you’re not,” Molly said gently. “You’ve raised a wonderful little girl, even if she does have her moments.”

“Every child does,” Justin replied with just a hint of reproach in his voice.

“I didn’t mean anything, Justin. You and Brian have done a fine parenting job.”

“Thanks, it’s just that sometimes I wonder if Bree would have been different if she had had a mom.”

“Of course she would have,” Molly stated. Justin blinked at her, feeling hurt flood through him. “She wouldn’t be the Bree we know and love. She’d be someone else. You and Brian have helped to make her just what she’s supposed to be. She’s wonderful, Justin, and so are you.”

“You mean it?”

“Of course I do.” Molly came around the table and gave her brother a big hug. “Never doubt yourselves.”

“Coookie,” Taylor said, his hand all gooey with chocolate.

“Taylor knows what’s important,” Justin said giving his eyes a swipe. “Can he have another?”

“Give him the other half. That will be plenty for him,” Molly told Justin. She watched as Taylor took the half cookie and chewed happily. His face was smeared with chocolate. “You know, Taylor wouldn’t be this little boy if he was raised by someone else,” she said philosophically. “But I know in my heart that he will grow up to be exactly what he’s supposed to be. And so will Bree.”

“Thanks, Mol,” Justin said sincerely.

“What makes you think you’re not a good parent?”

“It’s not that I think we’re bad parents. It’s just that … I know somewhere down the road someone is going to make a big deal of Bree having two fathers and no mother. I don’t want her to get hurt.”

“You know what she’ll say when they tell her she should have one father and a mother?”

“What?” Justin asked, curious to hear Molly’s explanation. “She’ll tell them she’s very lucky to have two dads, and she wouldn’t change that for anything in the world.”

Justin blinked back a tear. “You know, mollusk, sometimes I really love you.”

“Just sometimes?”

“Always,” Justin whispered as he got up to get a cloth to clean up his very chocolaty nephew.



*****



“We’re back,” Brian called as he came through the front door of the house. He was carrying several bags, and Bree was loaded down too as she followed behind him.

“We’re in the kitchen,” Justin called.

“We? Oh hi, Molly. We didn’t expect you until tomorrow.”

“I know. Taylor and I came up early. Here, let me take one of those.” She took one bag from Brian.

“Did you buy the whole store?” Justin asked as he took the bags Bree was dragging.”

“Not quite.”

“We got tons of stuff,” Bree said heaving a big sigh of relief as her burden was taken away. “Shopping is hard work.”

“Bite your tongue, Squirt. Shopping is fun,” Brian retorted.

“Clothes shopping is fun, Dada. Food shopping is hard.”

“God, you’ve trained her already,” Molly laughed as she started unloading the bags while Justin put things away.

“No, Squirt. Clothes shopping is fan-tastic. Food shopping is something that has to be done.”

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree agreed with a bob of her head.

“Unca Bi,” Taylor said having slid off his chair when no one was paying any attention to him. “Unca Bi!”

“Does he know something I don’t?” Brian asked with a wicked smirk, as he scooped the toddler up into his arms and kissed his cheek. “Hey, Taylor.”

“Hi, Taylor,” Bree said looking up to where her father held the baby. She didn’t get to be held like that anymore. Sometimes growing up wasn’t fair.

“Bee,” Taylor said happily. He reached down to grab a handful of Bree’s hair.

“Ow!” Bree reacted, prying his fingers off her hair. “My name is Bree.”

“Bee,” Taylor repeated.

“He has trouble with his r’s,” Molly explained.

“And several other letters too,” Justin laughed. “I’m Uncle Dust.”

“Ha!” Brian laughed. “Bi and Dust. We’re quite the pair.” He gave Justin an affectionate peck on the cheek.

“Want to see my piano, Auntie Molly?” Bree asked.

“Sure thing,” Molly replied as she emptied the last bag.

“It’s in the living room,” Bree told her. She took Molly’s hand and started into the living room.

“Oh,” Molly said when she saw the old piano. “Where did you get that?” It wasn’t at all what she had expected Bree’s piano would be.

“It was Gamma Claire’s. She gave it to me. She said my great grampa Aidan used to play it. It’s beautiful.”

“Yes, it is, sweetheart,” Molly said with a smile. It certainly seemed to be beautiful in Bree’s eyes. “Have you played it yet?”

“A bit, but Unca Drew says it needs to be tuned. Some of the notes sound funny.”

“I see. Uncle Drew told you that, huh?”

“Yeah, he plays real good.”

“Does he now?”

“Yep.”

“I’ll have to get him to play for me some time,” Molly said with a mischievous grin. “I’m sure you’ll enjoy your piano once it’s tuned.”

They walked back into the kitchen.

“How do you like our new acquisition?” Brian asked.

“I think it’s lovely that it’s staying in the family, so to speak.”

“Me too,” Justin agreed.

“Taylor and I should head back to the cottage and get things organized for Owen’s arrival.”

“Come up for dinner if you feel like it,” Justin told her as she took Taylor’s hand. Bree took Taylor’s other hand and the three walked to the door of Edna’s Treasures.

“I’m going to walk Taylor home, Dada and Daddy. I’ll be back soon,” Bree called.

“She’s walking Taylor home,” Brian said shaking his head, a wistful note in his voice. “She can’t be growing up that fast. Maybe I should go with them.”

“Let her be, Brian. She needs to be independent.”

Brian frowned and looked longingly toward the front door.

“Here, have a cookie,” Justin said holding the plate of cookies under Brian’s nose. “I think you missed eating your required quota of three yesterday after you brought the piano.”

“I didn’t think anyone noticed,” Brian smirked.

“We Taylors notice everything.”

Brian took a bite of cookie. “I think we all got renamed today,” Brian chuckled.

“Huh?”

“Bee, Bi and Dust.”

Justin laughed. “We should start a rock group. That would be a perfect name.”

“Yeah, better than Moby.” That earned him a swat from his husband.



*****



“Allen, it’s a holiday weekend,” Brian stated into his phone.

“Yeah, so. Lots of people work on a holiday and Riley won’t be working on the holiday, just the day after.”

“Ah, a mere technicality. What if this job turns out to be longer than a day? This piano looks like it’s a hundred years old.”

“Didn’t you say it’s a spinet?”

“You say spinet, I say piano. The point is that Drew thinks this will be a major job.”

“Not a problem. Riley is very good at what he does. And he has a thing for older instruments.”

“Please, I do not need to know about your sex life,” Brian snarked. “How much is this going to cost me?”

“I have no idea. I bang on drums not piano keys. But Riley is the best in the state and he’s available.”

“Are you guys coming for the Fourth?”

“Yes, we’ll be there.”

“Invite Riley. He can stay for the weekend then I’ll drive him back to the Pitts when he finishes the job.”

“Works for me. Do I have your permission to pass on your contact info?”

“Absolutely,” Brian confirmed. He appreciated a man of action.

“If I know Riley, he’ll contact you within the hour.”

“I’ll be here. We’re preparing for the invading horde.”

“Hey, I resemble that remark,” Allen joked. “We’ll see you tomorrow.”

Brian and Allen chuckled before hanging up.

“What did Allen say?” Justin asked as he came round the spiral staircase into their attic office.

Bree and Patrick were down the lane visiting Emmett and his family. Emmett had enlisted the kids into his hors d’oeuvre brigade. The kids were delighted to help. Richie was becoming more and more indoctrinated into the family and it gave the men of Edna’s Treasures some time alone for those last minute party details.

“He said to expect a call from a man named Riley who is the best in the state when it comes to tuning antique pianos. Apparently this man has no life because he’ll work over the holiday through the weekend.”

“Well that doesn’t seem right. Shouldn’t he spend the time with his family?”

Before Brian could reply, the phone rang.

“Kinney. Yes, Mr. Riley, Allen did say you were going to call. All right, just Riley it is. I appreciate you coming here. We’d be happy to have you stay instead of commuting. I can drive you back when the job is finished. Your own truck. That’s fine. We’ll see you tomorrow. Bring an appetite,” Brian ended the conversation.

“Well?” Justin waited for Brian to elaborate.

“Riley cometh on the morrow, Sunshine. He’ll check out the spinet then start working on it. He sounded almost excited about the prospect of working on something so old.”

“Not old, Bri, classic. Like you and your fuck-mobile, but go on,” Justin teased ignoring the glare of death.

“He said he has all his supplies on his truck and whatever part he doesn’t have, he can make himself. He just needs a safe place to work.”

“He can use the shed. I had plenty of room when I created the henge.”

“That’s what I thought. Great minds think alike, Sunshine,” Brian grinned. Justin smiled brightly. “The cottage seems quiet,” Brian whispered. “No pitter patter of little feet,” Brian purred into Justin’s ear.

“The little feet with their associated children are still down the lane. Emmett’s putting them to work making canapés.”

“So we have some uninterrupted time?” Brian asked as he dragged his t-shirt over his head.

“Yes,” Justin hissed as he latched onto a dusky nipple.

“Then let’s not waste it,” Brian moaned as he hoisted Justin onto his desk. Justin's lips never broke their connection.

As Justin laved and nipped at the peaked bud, Brian loosened Justin’s shorts to pull out Justin’s dick. Brian began pumping Justin’s cock as Justin switched his attentions to the other nipple. Justin gasped as Brian slowly ran his thumb over the sensitive head that was leaking a copious amount of pre-cum.

“Fuck me,” Justin demanded as he slid off the desk, turned in Brian’s arms then quickly pushed his shorts down.

“Hard and fast?” Brian growled into Justin’s ear. Brian nipped at the earlobe as he fished a small tube of lube out of the desk drawer.

“Yeah, the harder the better.”

“Your wish is my command,” Brian murmured as he slicked himself up then drove himself home.

“Fuck me!” Justin repeated as Brian bent him over the desk and did what he was told.



*****



“Your brother is taking advantage of the current lack of children in the house,” Bobby quipped as he came up the stairs to their attic office. John was working on his thesis. He looked up from his notes to smile at his spouse.

“I never realized how noisy they are,” John said with a laugh. Justin’s moans were echoing across the sun porch.

Bobby walked over to the desk and hitched his thigh up on it. He gave John a coy smile. “Do you remember that night in the barn?” Bobby asked.

“When you and Justin tried to trick us? I remember,” John replied with an arch of his brow. Bobby thought how much the brothers were alike and how different.

John stood then guided Bobby over to the sofa. It was big enough for John’s long frame to lie on it comfortably. He laid down taking Bobby with him. Bobby sprawled himself along John’s body.

“You want to take advantage of the lack of children too?” Bobby asked with a waggle of his eyebrows and a devilish grin.

“Yeah,” John said as he his hands traveled down Bobby’s back to his ass. John began to rhythmically squeeze the pert globes.

“You inspired by the other side?” Bobby asked as he cocked his head toward Brian and Justin. John pushed down on Bobby’s ass, grinding their groins closer.

“Inspired by you,” John said getting wet dirty kisses as a reward. “God, I want you,” John gasped when they came up for air.

“Mmm, it’s been a while since you took the lead.”

“I know. That’s because I’m addicted to you. I’m addicted to your touch, to you inside me. I love you so much,” John said before he slid his hand behind Bobby’s neck to bring his lips against his own.

“Make love to me, John. I want to feel it,” Bobby demanded. The lovers stood to quickly shed their clothes.

“No, I want to see your face,” John said as Bobby went to lay belly down on the sofa.

“Lube,” Bobby reminded John. John thought for a second and then went to his desk. Brian had thoughtfully hidden a small tube there some time ago. ‘Just in case,’ Brian had told his brother. John came back to the sofa all smiles, brandishing the tube. “My hero,” Bobby crowed. “Now do me!”

“My pleasure,” John purred as he lubed himself and Bobby. Bobby wrapped his legs around John’s trim waist.

“Oh yeah,” Bobby murmured as John pushed his way inside Bobby's tight searing heat.

“Bobby!” John cried out as his instincts took over. Bobby held on for the ride.



*****



“Sounds like they’re having fun over there,” Brian said smugly as he took his discarded t-shirt to wipe down Justin before giving himself a cursory cleaning.

“Leave them be,” Justin admonished. “Let’s go take a shower before Bree comes home,” Justin said with a kiss as he righted his clothes. Grabbing Brian’s wrist, Justin led him down the stairs toward their room.

“Yes, dear!” Brian teased as John and Bobby’s moans echoed through the porch.

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 7





“Daddy, when is Gus coming?” Bree asked. She was eating her Cheerios at the kitchen table.

“He’ll be here this afternoon.”

“Yay! And he’s staying here, right?” she queried.

“That’s right.”

“For a whole month?”

“Correct.”

“And he’s working every day, but he’ll be here every night?”

“Yes.”

“And Ray’s coming with him?”

“That’s right.”

“And he’ll spend lots of time with me?”

“He plans to.”

“He will. Lots of time,” Bree averred. There was no further question in her tone. This was the way she expected it to be.

Justin smiled to himself. Gus was going to have his hands full juggling his job, his boyfriend and Bree. “I’m sure Gus will have lots of time for you,” Justin stated. He hoped that was true or there’d be no living with their little princess. “What do you want to do with Gus?” he asked out of curiosity.

“I want to go the stream and sit on the big rock with Gus and read books with Gus and play in the Wendy house with Gus and go for walks down the lane with Gus and play my piano for Gus and hug Gus and kiss him and…”

“Breathe, sweetheart,” Justin said with a chuckle. “I see that you’ve thought out Gus’ itinerary very carefully.”

“What’s a itinerary?”

“It’s kind of a list or schedule of what you’re going to do.”

“I know lots of things to do with Gus,” Bree said bobbing her head in affirmation.

“I can see that.”

“What are my two favorite people up to?” Brian asked as he came into the kitchen. His hair was still damp from the shower. He poured himself a coffee and gave Justin a peck on the cheek. “Morning, Sunshine.”

“Bree was just telling me what she has lined up for Gus and her to do.”

“A long list, I imagine,” Brian smirked. He gave Bree a kiss on the cheek before sitting down at the table with her.

“Infinite,” Justin said with a wink at his husband.

“You know that Ray will be here too,” Brian said to Bree. “They’re going to want some time together … alone.”

“I know,” Bree said with a scowl. “They need time for kissing and smooching and hugging and…”

“Other stuff,” Justin tossed in before Bree went any further.

“Are they going to get married like you and Dada?” she asked.

Brian almost spit his coffee all over the table. “I think that’s a topic for the future, Squirt. I wouldn’t ask Gus about that right now.”

“Why not?” she asked with a frown.

“Um…” Brian began and then he looked pleadingly at Justin.

“This is all yours, big guy,” Justin chuckled. “You brought it up.”

Brian gave his husband one of his best death glares. He took a deep breath and started to speak. He hoped he knew what the fuck he was saying. “Gus and Ray are too young to think about marriage, Squirt,” Brian explained. He looked at Justin for verification of the direction that he was taking with this touchy explanation. Justin merely shrugged and waited to see what else Brian would say.

“But Gus is all grown up, Dada,” Bree informed her father.

“Gus is grown up, but he’s still going to school, just like you are.”

“Oh?” Bree said thinking that over carefully.

“He needs to finish his schooling before he thinks about marriage or anything like that.”

“But he loves Ray, doesn’t he?”

“Yes, he thinks he does.”

Bree frowned harder. “Gus told me he loves Ray, Dada. He doesn’t think it, he knows it.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked, surprised that Gus would have discussed this subject with his sister.

“Yep.”

“And when did he tell you this?”

“I don’t know. He just did.”

“Really?”

“Yep. He tells me lots of things when we sit on the big rock by the stream or we play tea party in the Wendy house.”

“No sh…, no guff.”

“You were going to say shit, weren’t you, Dada?” Bree asked with a giggle.

“But I didn’t, and neither should you.”

“I know the bad words, Dada, and I don’t say them … very much.”

“That’s good, but you shouldn’t say them at all.”

“But you do,” Bree reminded him.

“I don’t always do the right thing,” Brian admitted.

Justin couldn’t help but smile from behind the counter where he was loading the dishwasher. Brian had got himself into a predicament, and Justin couldn’t wait to see how he got out of it.

“Yes, you do, Dada,” Bree contradicted her father. “You always do the right thing, but … you use bad words a whole bunch.”

“I do?”

“Yep, I hear them all the time, but I know you don’t mean them … very often.”

“How do you know that?” Brian asked, interested in Bree’s answer to that question.

“Bad words are for when you’re mad, Dada, and you get mad quite a bit.” Brian raised an eyebrow and waited for his daughter to continue. “But usually you’re not really mad, just … annoyed. When you get really mad, your voice gets very quiet … and scary.”

“Scary?”

“Yep,” Bree said bouncing her ponytail as she nodded. “I don’t like it when you get really mad, specially if you’re mad at me.”

“I don’t get mad at you very often,” Brian said gently.

“I know, but sometimes I do stupid stuff or I want something I shouldn’t have. Then you get mad at me.”

“And my voice gets quiet and … scary?”

“Yep, and I make sure I agree with everything you say. If you use bad words then, I’m really scared,” Bree added.

“I … I hope I don’t scare you often, Squirt,” Brian said honestly.

“Not often, Dada. Oh, and you don’t call me Squirt when you’re mad at me. You call me Briana Victoria, and then I know I’m in big trouble.”

“That’s how you know, huh?” Brian asked with a little smile.

“That’s how.”

“Come here, Squirt,” Brian said. Bree slid off her chair and walked around the table to her father. He lifted her up and sat her on his knee. He kissed her cheek. “You know I don’t like being mad at you, don’t you?” Bree nodded. “But sometimes it’s necessary.”

“I know, it’s for my own good,” Bree said with a sigh, as she parroted the words she had heard from both of her fathers on several occasions. “I don’t mean to make you mad.”

“We know that, Squirt. It’s just part of growing up.”

“Like Gus?”

“Yes, like Gus.”

“Did you get mad at Gus?”

Brian chuckled. He couldn’t even remember how this conversation had started, but it was time to end it. “I’m sure I got mad at Gus a time or two. Let’s go get you out of these pj’s before Mr. Riley arrives to work on the piano,” he said.

“’Kay, Dada,” Bree agreed. She slid off his lap and headed for her bedroom.

Brian looked at Justin. “What the fuck just happened?” he asked.

“Your daughter explained to you all about your parenting techniques and how she knows what mood you’re in,” Justin said with a straight face.

“Am I that obvious?”

“Yes.”

“Shit!”

Justin laughed. “Go help her pick out something fabulous to wear when she meets Mr. Riley.”

“Maybe she should help me pick out my clothes,” Brian said shaking his head. “She’s too damn smart.”

“Got that right,” Justin said as Brian walked down the hall to Bree’s bedroom.



*****



“Come on in, Mr. Riley,” Justin said into the intercom as he released the gate at the entrance to the lane leading to Edna’s Treasures. It was still early in the morning, but apparently the piano tuner was eager to get started. “Brian,” Justin called, “Mr. Riley is on his way up the lane.”

“Bree and I will be out in a minute,” Brian called back.

“And you’ll both look fabulous,” Justin said to himself, as he went to the front door to greet the piano tuner.

Bree had decided that she needed to wear the rainbow shirt that she wore for PRIDE. Brian had no objections and was pleased that Bree was learning about being responsible. Even though it was nice to have a new outfit for each occasion, it wasn’t always the most responsible thing to do. However, it did take a little convincing on Bree’s part for Brian to allow her to wear her frog necklace. Brian had visions of the chain breaking and the pendant dropping into the garden somewhere.

Brian wore a simple t-shirt and his cut offs. The shorts accentuated his long legs. Brian was planning to spend some time in front of a hot grill; his attire was very appropriate.

“Please come in and welcome to our home,” Justin greeted the piano tuner. Before the introductions could go very far, Bree dashed into the room closely followed by Brian.

“Mr. Riley,” Brian began as he shook the older man’s hand, “I’m Brian Kinney and this is our daughter...”

“My name is Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor,” Bree said formally. Riley squatted down so he could be just about eye to eye with the young lady. Riley, Brian noted was a big man, about Bran’s height, but with fifty more pounds on him. His hands were large with long fingers, useful for playing the piano. He looked spry and strong enough to deal with grand instruments as well as the less grand.

“It’s very much my pleasure to meet you, Miss Kinney-Taylor,” Riley said as he shook the petite hand that was thrust toward him. Bree was very pleased that he took the time to shake hands and to say her full last name. Most adults just called her Miss Taylor.

“Mr. Riley,” Brian was about to introduce Justin.

“Riley, just Riley.”

“Riley, this is my partner, Justin Taylor,” Brian stressed the word partner waiting for Riley’s reaction. He refused to allow a homophobic prick to tune his daughter’s piano. Even if Riley was the best in the state.

“Very nice to meet you, Mr. Taylor,” Riley said as he stood up straight and shook Justin’s hand. So far, Brian was very pleased.

“It’s Justin, and thank you for coming and on a holiday too.”

“About that,” Brian said with a curious arch to his brow. “I thought you were going to drive up with Ted and Allen. They and the rest of the horde won’t be here until this afternoon.

“Allen gave me excellent directions and I’ll admit to being curious about the spinet. They stopped making spinets many years ago.”

“But won’t your family be disappointed that you’ll be spending the holiday away from them?” Justin asked as he guided Riley toward the kitchen to offer the man coffee.

Gratefully accepting a hot mugful, Riley sat at the counter allowing the coffee to cool before taking a sip. “Most of whom I considered family,” Riley began as he blew at the coffee, “died in the 80's.” Riley looked up at Brian and Justin over the rim of the mug. Brian nodded in understanding. Justin’s blue eyes hadn’t yet caught on, but Justin was smart enough to keep quiet.

“Mr. Riley?” Bree asked. She let the man take at least a few sips of coffee before she took over the show.

“Yes, ma’am,” Riley replied turning on his stool to give Bree his full attention.

“Would you like to see my piano?”

“I would like that very much, if your daddies would excuse us,” Riley said glancing back to Brian and Justin for approval. Justin smiled brightly; Brian simply nodded. “You lead, I’ll follow,” Riley said to Bree who smiled at the kindly man with her own sunny best. She reached up her hand which Riley took. Bree led Riley into the living room.

“And another man falls for the Taylor smile,” Brian quipped as he topped off his own coffee mug.

“Bri, what did he mean by most of his family dying in the 80's?” Justin whispered.

“AIDS, Justin. He’s a fag and I guess his partner died. Maybe he never found someone else. That’s why he’s available on holidays.”

“That’s so sad. Brian if anything ever happened to me...”

Brian put down his mug with a loud clunk. He took Justin’s shoulders, swinging him around so that he was held tightly in Brian’s arms.

“Nothing will ever happen to you,” Brian declared, Justin tucked safely under his chin. Brian inhaled the unique scent that was Justin. “Nothing,” Brian repeated, daring the gods to oppose him.

“Okay,” was all Justin could say as Brian took Justin’s face into his hands to kiss the warm, full lips.

“Don’t you two ever get enough?” Bobby grumbled as he, John and Patrick came down the hall and into the kitchen.

“Never enough,” Brian and Justin said as one then kissed again before parting to be the attentive hosts.

“John, Riley’s here,” Brian said.

“Already? That was fast,” he replied.

They all heard a few dull thuds as Riley tested a couple of keys. John walked toward the noise.

“Mr. Riley, I’m John Anderson, Brian’s brother,” John said automatically extending his hand.

“Just Riley, and I think I’m seeing double,” he said with a smile.

“We get that a lot. So do you think you can save this poor old girl?” John asked as he ran his hand over the fine wood cabinet. “I don’t think it’s been played for fifty years.”

“Instruments like this were constructed to last. Unless there was some major abuse in this lady’s past, I see no reason why she can’t be singing in a few days. If you don’t mind I’m just going to take a peek inside but I’ll save the real work for tomorrow,” Riley explained.

“Miss Briana, would you assist me by moving the bench out of the way?” Riley asked Bree. Bree smiled, pleased to have been asked. She took one end of the bench in her small hands. Patrick quickly stepped up to take the other end. Bree was so happy her best friend was helping, she graced Patrick with one of her sunniest smiles. Patrick never developed an immunity to her Taylor smile.

“He’s got it bad, doesn’t he?” Riley commented as the kids took the bench to the other side of the room. Brian chuckled as John sighed.

“That's Patrick, our son,” John explained as Bobby introduced himself. “And yes, Bree does seem to have Patrick under her spell.”

“She has all of us under her spell,” Bobby said.

“I can tell,” Riley said as he moved the spinet out from the wall so he could access the back. Using tools from his kit, Riley quickly opened the back of the spinet. Looking like a detective, with flashlight in hand, Riley took a quick scan of the inner workings of the spinet.

“Hmm,” Riley murmured, unaware of his audience. Six people were anxiously awaiting the verdict.

“Well?” Brian asked looking very much like an impatient businessman. All eyes were on the man behind the spinet.

“It’s doable but it may take a week, possibly longer. There are a lot of parts that need replacing.”

“But you can do it,” Justin said with a coy smile and a bat of his lashes.

Riley chuckled. “I see where she gets it from,” he said to Brian. Brian shrugged. “Yes, I can do it. It would help if I had a place to set up my workshop.”

“Patrick, show Riley the shed,” Bobby instructed his son.

“Okay, Poppa.”

“I’m coming too!” Bree announced. Riley put the backing on the piano then moved it back to its rightful place. He packed up his tool kit then followed the kids through to the porch then outside toward the shed. Beau went with them to supervise.

“So, what do you think of him?” Justin asked.

“He comes highly recommended, Sunshine,” Brian answered. “He appears to know what he’s talking about, but I’ll have a word with Allen and Drew since Allen claims to know nothing about pianos.”

“Maybe Drew will assist him,” John said as he helped himself to a cup of coffee.

“Maybe Drew will assist who?” Emmett asked as he and the person in question walked through the door. Emmett, Drew and Richie were all laden with boxes of canapés. The men of Edna’s Treasures were quick to help.

“The piano tuner is here,” John stated.

“Oh, well I hope he came hungry,” Emmett quipped.

“What did he say about the spinet?” Drew asked.

“He seemed to think it was doable but it might take a week,” Brian answered.

“Makes sense,” Drew said. “The spinet hasn’t been used in a hell of a long time. Parts rust then disintegrate. It’s not like the spinet is needed for a concert tomorrow. He probably wants to take his time to do the job right.”

“Try explaining that to the princess,” John said.

“I’ll explain it to her,” Drew offered. “We speak piano,” he joked.

“This coming from a man that was terrified to go Christmas tree shopping with said princess six months ago,” Brian snarked as he went out the door to bring in more goodies from the Hummer.

“I evolved!” Drew shouted after him then quickly followed. There were a lot more boxes in the truck.

“John, seriously, what do you think about him?” Justin was a bit pensive.

“He seems nice enough and Bree seems to like him. She does have good instincts. And he does come recommended,” John reassured Justin. “We can talk to Allen when he gets here with Ted.” Justin agreed then went to the kitchen.

A couple of hours later, the first of the family made its way up the lane.

“Joan not coming?” John asked Brian as they arranged the snacks on the table.

“Not this time. She’s staying in the Pitts with my sister. Claire’s nose got out of joint at the thought of old Joanie spending another holiday here, so Claire put her foot down. Apparently the satan spawn have grown up to be nice guys. One of them is married and has a nice home in West Virginia. They all went there for the weekend.”

“At least she’s not alone,” John commented. “So who’s coming?”

“Ted, Allen, Mikey, Ben and JR. The Brenners, minus the Sarah Kingsley. She decided to go abroad. Debbie and Carl, of course.”

“Of course,” John laughed as if there could be a family gathering without Debbie and Carl.

“And Jenn and Seth.”

“What about the girls?” John asked with a frown. “Aren’t they bringing the boys?”

“Carl’s driving the mobile motel; the boys are with them.”

“Brian, the girls...” John didn’t know what to say about the girls. Brian held up his hands to thwart any further explanation.

“I’m done. I don’t know how to help them anymore.”

“Then maybe it’s time they help themselves,” John said wisely. “Right now, we have a hungry family to feed. We should concentrate on that.”

Brian knew that John was right.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 8





A large rumbling and a darkening of the sun heralded the arrival of the mobile motel. Carl pulled the huge vehicle to a stop in the lane outside of Edna’s Treasures. He would worry about maneuvering it into position later, after all his many passengers exited.

“Guuuuuuuuuus!” came an unholy shriek as Bree threw open the front door of the cottage and made a beeline for the vehicle.

Carl was very glad he had already stopped when he saw the blonde hurricane coming at him.

Debbie opened the side door of the RV and shoved Gus out before the rest of them could be trampled by the petite blonde. Debbie knew nothing could stand in the way of Bree and her need to get to her brother.

“Hey, short stuff,” Gus said with a big grin as Bree launched herself into his arms.

“Gus,” Bree said happily as she wrapped her legs around his waist and kissed all over his face.

“That would be me,” Gus laughed.

“I love you.”

“I love you too. You’re getting so big.”

“Not as big as you,” Bree replied.

“You’ll never be as big as me,” Gus bragged.

“Yes I will!”

“Okay, if you say so,” Gus gave in. He kissed her cheek before setting her down.

“Do I get a hug?” JR asked.

Everyone had got out of the RV except for Carl. Bree set about giving a hug to all her favorite people.

“Come on in,” Brian called from the doorway of the house. He had been watching the hugfest for a couple of minutes.

When everyone began making their way towards the house, Ben lagged behind to help direct Carl in getting the RV parked in a convenient spot. Brian walked out to assist, as everyone else went inside. Once the RV was situated, Carl got out.

“That thing will be the death of me,” he said with a twinkle in his eye.

“You know you love it,” Brian smirked.

“I know I need an army to help me park it.”

“You shouldn’t try to parallel park with that thing,” Brian said with a straight face.

“Fuck you, Kinney!” Carl reacted.

“My, my, Detective Horvath, the language you’re using,” Brian smirked.

“Boys, boys,” Ben interrupted.

“He’s being mean to me,” Carl said with a mock whine.

“Been hanging around Mikey much?” Brian laughed.

“Hey, watch the Michael comments,” Ben said defending his husband.

“Right you are, Professor,” Brian quipped, and then decided to change the subject. “You did bring an army with you today, Carl,” Brian chuckled.

“Yeah, I guess I did,” Carl laughed, clapping Brian on the back. “Debbie loves that big old thing,” Carl added nodding towards the RV.

“Thanks for bringing the boys up with you,” Brian said sincerely, as they started walking towards the house. The teasing was over.

“No problem,” Carl replied. “The more the merrier.”

“Ray tells me he’s staying here for the month of July,” Ben stated. “He’s going to be working with Bobby?”

“Yeah,” Brian said, “Bobby decided he could use an intern. He thought Ray might learn a few things about real estate law that might prove useful in his dad’s business.”

“And letting the boys have a whole month together out here had nothing to do with it,” Ben joked.

“Nothing at all,” Brian replied keeping a straight face.

“I’m drowning in bullshit,” Carl said.

They all laughed as they entered the cottage.



*****



“So, how’s Riley working out?” Allen asked Justin. They were all enjoying Emmett’s hors d’oeuvres in the sun porch.

“He seems very nice.”

“Where is he? I thought that was his truck out front when we rode in on the big boat.”

“Is that what you call Carl and Debbie’s RV?” Allen nodded. “Riley went out to the shed with Patrick quite a while ago. I haven’t seen either of them since.”

“Should we send out a search party?” Allen asked.

“Beau’s out there with them and the door of the shed is still open. I think they’re safe, but I have no idea what they could be doing.”

“Riley tunes the pianos for the symphony, so I thought he’d be good for this job.”

“We really appreciate your help. Neither Brian nor I had any idea how to find a piano tuner, especially a good one, and you know how Brian hates incompetence.”

Allen nodded. “We sure got a beautiful day for the barbecue this year.”

“Yeah,” Justin agreed.

“Oh, there’s Riley,” Allen said. “He and Patrick must be done whatever they were doing.”

Justin got up to go greet their guest as he came into the sun porch with Patrick. Riley would not know many people at the gathering. “Riley, I’d like you to meet our family and friends. “You know Allen…” and Justin proceeded with the lengthy set of introductions.

When Justin was finished, Riley blew out a breath. “That’s a lot of people,” he said. “You’re lucky to have such a large and attractive family.”

“Got that right,” Debbie laughed. “But you should have been here for Memorial Day. The lane was full of cars and there were people everywhere you looked. That was some party.”

“Sounds like you folks have a great time together,” Riley observed.

“That we do,” Brian said. “Make yourself to home, Riley. There’s lots of food and there’s a few people in this motley crew that you might even enjoy talking to.”

Everyone gave Brian a raspberry at that last comment, but he paid them no attention as he showed Riley where to get a drink and some hors d’oeuvres.

“What were you and Patrick doing out there for so long?” Brian asked.

“I got all my tools laid out and made a space for the piano. Patrick was quite interested in the tools, so I talked to him about what they were used for. He said he’d like to watch and maybe assist when I start tuning.”

“He won’t be in your way?”

“Sometimes an extra pair of hands comes in handy, and he’s a good kid.”

“That he is.”

“I thought I’d like to set up camp out there.”

“What do you mean?” Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I brought my sleeping bag. I’ll make myself a little nest in the shed.”

“You don’t have to do that. We have room.”

“I like my solitude,” Riley explained. “I’ll be able to work when I want and sleep when I want. I will take advantage of your facilities from time to time though,” he said with a grin.

“Well…if you’re sure,” Brian said not knowing exactly what to make of this stranger who had come into their lives.

“Mr. Riley, I’m Richie, in case you don’t remember.” Richie had decided to take the initiative with the new guest. He was feeling much more at home with all these people, and he remembered how hard it had been for him when he was first introduced to the Edna’s Treasures family. There were so many of them and it had been overwhelming.

“Hello, Richie,” Riley said extending his hand to shake.

Richie shook the hand and smiled at the man. “I’m kind of new here too, so I know it’s a lot of names to remember.”

“Thanks for the help.”

“The blue cheese and pear puffs are to die for,” Richie informed Riley.

“Is that right?”

“I didn’t think I’d like them at first, but they’re amazing.”

“Point me in their direction,” Riley said with a chuckle.

“Looks like Richie and Riley have bonded over your blue cheese and pear puffs,” Brian whispered in Emmett’s ear.

“Yes, I see,” Emmett said stiffly. He had been watching his son with the piano tuner. They were clearing the plate of the puffs, and they were laughing and having far too good a time.

“Jealous?” Brian asked with a wicked grin.

“Of course not!” Emmett snapped.

“Emmett, Richie needs to make friends. He’s not abandoning you just because he talks to someone else.”

“But…” Emmett began staring at the pair.

“Take a deep breath and go join them. It will be fine.”

“You think…?”

“I know.”

Emmett nodded and walked across the sun porch to his son. Soon they were all laughing together.

“You’re a good man,” Debbie said squeezing his cheek.

“Aw, thanks, maw,” Brian drawled.

“I mean it, you know.”

“I know,” Brian said and kissed her cheek. “Now where’s that son of yours?”

“Dust!” a little voice crowed. Taylor Brenner appeared at the entrance to the sun porch from the house. He was with his mother and father and all four grandparents.

“Hey,” Justin said, “I told you it’s Uncle Dust, little buddy.”

Taylor looked up at his uncle and giggled. Justin picked him up and gave him a big kiss.

“I hope you don’t mind that we came right in,” Molly said. “We’re a little late.”

“Those who live closest are often the last to arrive,” Brian informed them with a smirk.

“Bi,” Taylor said reaching for his other uncle.

Several eyebrows were raised at that comment.

“He has trouble saying ‘R’s”,” Molly said quickly.

“Yeah, right!” Ted laughed.

“Watch it, Schmidt,” Brian warned.

“Yes, Boss, of course, Boss.”

“All we need is our daughter and our rock group will be complete,” Brian smirked. “Welcome to the Bee, Bi and Dust show.”

The sun porch cracked up.



*****



“Give me a hand with this,” Brian said as he handed a large tray of marinated meat to the retired quarterback. Drew dutifully followed Brian toward the grill.

“Is there a problem?” Drew asked. He could tell that something was up with Brian. Drew put the tray down on the grill’s side shelf. Brian began to carefully place each piece of meat and poultry onto the grill.

“I need a favor.”

“Sure.”

“You seem to know a lot about pianos.”

“I’m not an expert.”

“Yeah, but you’d know if it was tuned correctly or not.”

“Yeah but I don’t...wait, you have doubts about Riley? Brian, Allen wouldn’t have called him if he didn’t trust him.”

“I know but...”

“What?”

“He wants to sleep in the shed.”

“So the man’s a loner, we all have our quirks,” Drew said pointedly.

“Some more than others.” Drew rolled his eyes. “I hate asking but…”

“Emm and I have no plans of returning to the city anytime soon. Richie will be taking some online courses and he has all of his reading assignments with him. I’ll offer my services, but most piano tuners prefer to work alone. I can bullshit my way by saying that I’m curious about the spinet and that’s not a lie. But I’m not going to make a pest of myself.”

“That’s good enough for me,” Brian declared as he put the last piece of meat on the grill then shut the lid.

“Why don’t you just talk to Allen? Better yet, talk to Riley. You have a way with people, Bri. You can actually be very civil when you put your mind to it and you have good instincts. Besides, the princess seems to like him,” Drew said as they both turned to see Bree holding court with Riley, Allen and Ted.

“I’ll keep an eye on the grill,” Drew offered making Brian’s brow arch up. “Hey, fuck a master chef, you learn a thing or two about hot meat.” Brian barked out a laugh then took Drew up on his offer.



*****



“You boys all settled in?” Justin asked Gus and Ray with an innocent grin. Gus picked up Justin then swung him around the sun porch.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” Gus exclaimed. He released Justin and they all laughed.

“So I take it that you like the new bed?”

“Like it? It’s perfect! I wasn’t sure how to ask you and Pop about trading in the bunk beds.”

“We figured you’d be more comfortable in a real bed.”

“What did you do with the bunk beds?” Ray asked out of curiosity.

“We donated them to Camp Little Flowers. They’re going to start up their sleep away camp this Summer. You kept the beds in pristine condition; it would have been a shame to just throw them out. Do you mind?” Justin asked Gus. Unbeknownst to Gus, the men of Edna’s Treasures made a substantial donation to the camp which included several more bunk beds.

“No, of course I don’t mind, it’s for a good cause. What about sheets and things?”

“Your dad and I took care of it. Now if you two can control yourselves, we have guests to tend to. You can test drive your new bed later,” Justin said with a waggle of his eyebrows. Gus and Ray responded with the appropriate blush to their teenaged cheeks then followed Justin out into the garden.



*****



“Can I get you a beer or we have homemade lemonade, if you prefer?” Brian asked Riley.

“I wouldn’t mind a cold brew just about now,” Riley replied. Brian quickly got Riley a beer then sat down next to the older man.

“I was told you’re the best tuner in the state,” Brian remarked as he took a pull off his beer.

“So they tell me,” came the cryptic response. Brian arched his brow anticipating more. “I figured a man like you had me vetted before you’d allow me access to your home.”

“I did, but sometimes I prefer the personal approach. And what do you mean by a man like me?”

“I may spend the majority of my time with my head in a piano; however, I do know who Brian Kinney is, and Justin Taylor is practically a household word in Pittsburgh.”

“And you spoke to Allen,” Brian snarked.

“And I spoke to Allen,” Riley repeated. The two men stared at each other for a moment then smiled. They clinked beer bottles then sat back in their seats.



******



“Honey, why are you manning the grill and not our Mr. Kinney?” Emmett asked Drew, who remained true to his task.

“Our Mr. Kinney had some reservations when it came to Riley. I told him I’d watch the grill while he got more acquainted.”

“Oh, that’s so sweet of you, but if Brian had any questions about Riley, he should have asked me. I could have told him all about Riley.”

“Of course you can,” Drew said as he gave Emmett a peck on the cheek.

“Go tell our Mr. Kinney to bring the serving platter. Most of the meat is ready,” Emmett said as he lifted the lid to the grill and took a peek inside.

“Yes, Chef!” Drew said with a salute for his spouse then scurried off to do as bid. Brian excused himself from his company to bring the requested platter to Emmett.

“So, you and Riley making friends?” Emmett asked as he used a large serving fork to take the perfectly cooked meat off the grill.

“He’s an interesting man but there’s something about him I just don’t get,” Brian said as he held the platter for Emmett. “He does seem genuine. Bree’s already taken by him and Allen swears by him.”

“He’s been associated with the symphony for nearly forty years,” Emmett stated nonchalantly.

“Should I ask how you know this?”

“Teddy told me that Allen was going to call Riley so I checked him out. I do know my way around a computer. And I have several members of the symphony as clients.”

“Of that I have no doubt. What else did you dig up?”

“It’s rather a sad story. He and his partner, Tony, were members of the symphony back in the eighties. Riley was a concert pianist and his lover a cellist. They were together for about five years when they found out Riley’s partner had AIDS. He was one of the first to be lost. Riley was barely allowed to attend the funeral, and he had to fight the family for whatever possessions he had in their apartment. You know how that was.”

“Yeah, I do. Vic told me all about that time. It fucking sucks.”

Brian had made sure that nothing like that could ever happen to him and Justin. They were each other’s power of attorney and health care proxies. Brian had made sure that all of their joint holdings were protected. It would all go to Justin and no one could ever change that. Brian also made sure that the trust funds he set up for all four kids could not be accessed by anyone else. Neither Lindsay nor Mel could touch any of the money set aside for Gus or JR.

“Well, after Tony died, Riley lost his ability to play in public. He had medical bills to pay and no job so he learned how to tune pianos. The symphony stood by him, hired him first as an assistant and then eventually he became their number one tuner. I’ll put these on the table if you start the burgers and hot dogs,” Emmett said, indicating the platter.

Deep in thought, Brian acknowledged Emmett with a soft grunt as he went to get the burgers and dogs.



*****



“Mr. Riley, why are you in here all alone?” Patrick asked as he walked through the porch. He had come in to use the bathroom and to make sure Beau had food and water.

“It’s a little warm out there and honestly...” Riley looked into Patrick’s intense hazel eyes. Patrick was tall for his age, lanky like John and Brian but with the flaming red hair like his father Bobby.

“I’m better around musical instruments than people,” Riley said with a sigh.

“Can I get you something cold to drink?” Patrick politely offered. Riley smiled and nodded. “Lemonade or we have iced tea?”

“Lemonade is just fine,” Riley answered as he sat on one of the sun porch chairs. Patrick poured a tall glass and handed it to Riley. “What is that?” Riley asked after taking a sip.

Patrick turned to see what Riley was referring to then he started to laugh. “That’s Bree’s.”

“I assumed as much if the color is any indication. Does she play it?”

“Yes, but she wants to play a real piano. Her dads bought it for her before they knew how serious she is about playing.”

“I can understand that. A good piano is an investment even if you can afford it. It’s not like buying a guitar. So Miss Bree really is serious about playing.”

“Yes, sir. Uncle Drew thinks my great grandpa’s old spinet is perfect for her.”

“He does, does he? And what does a football quarterback know about spinets?” Before Patrick could explain about Drew’s unique talents, Danny came into the porch.

“Hi, Patrick, sorry I’m late. I ran into a bit of traffic leaving the city. Did I miss much?’

“Hi, Uncle Danny!” Patrick greeted the man who had long become an important member of the family. “You didn’t miss anything. Uncle Bri and Auntie Emm just took the meat off the grill,” Patrick said as he gave the man a hug. Danny ruffled the boy’s fine hair.

“Danny Devore,” Danny introduced himself to the handsome stranger, extending his hand.

“Riley,” came the response as he clasped Danny’s hand.

“Ah, the much awaited piano expert,” Danny said with a smile.

“I see there aren’t any secrets in this family.”

“We’re a chatty bunch, but respectful.”

“Grandpa!” JR cheerfully greeted her grandfather. “I’m so glad you’re here. Come outside and have lunch with me and Daddy and Ben.”

“Sure, honey, but only if Riley comes outside and joins us. It’s too nice out to be cooped up in here.” Danny fluttered his eyelashes at the man. Riley laughed but surrendered to Divina’s charms.

“Now how can I resist an invitation like that,” Riley said as he followed them out to the garden.


Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 9




As the afternoon waned at Edna’s Treasures, people patted their full bellies and seemed to wax philosophical.

“Uncle Ben,” Richie said to his mentor and tutor.

“Yes, Richie.”

“Do you think I’ll ever get caught up with my work at school?”

“Confucius says ‘The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.’”

“Huh?”

Ben chuckled. “Confucius was an ancient Chinese philosopher who wrote many profound sayings.”

“Oh?”

“What do you think that saying means?”

Richie thought for a moment. “I guess it means that I have to take small steps and not try to finish everything in a hurry.” Ben nodded. “So, I won’t catch up any time soon.”

“Do you need to catch up?” Ben asked. “Isn’t it better just to do your best and learn whatever you can as you progress?”

Richie really looked thoughtful. “Are you saying that I’ll never finish my education?” he asked in horror.

“A man should never stop learning,” Ben stated.

“Did Confucius say that too?” Richie asked.

“No, that would be Zen Ben who said it,” Brian contributed. “Haven’t you noticed that he’s still in school?”

Everyone chuckled.

“And I may never graduate … until I retire,” Ben said with a laugh.

“And that will be many years from now,” Michael added kissing his husband’s cheek.

“Aw, young love,” Brian snarked.

“I’m going to go on the swing, Daddy,” JR said standing up. She didn’t want to hear about love … young or otherwise.

“You want me to push you, honeybun?” Michael asked.

JR shook her head and walked over to the swing at the back of the yard. She sat on the seat and used her feet to push. Soon she was swinging back and forth, not too high, just enough to feel the wind in her face.

“Thinking?” a voice asked.

“Yes, Uncle John,” JR said as she slowed down.

“Want to talk?”

“Maybe.”

“How is it at your dad’s place?”

“It’s okay, but I don’t like fighting with my moms.”

“Nobody really likes fighting,” John told her.

“My moms seem to like it. What’s wrong with them?”

“You do ask the tough questions, little lady,” John stated.

“I don’t understand Mama. Sometimes she’s so unreasonable.”

“She is a woman who knows her mind, and it’s hard to change it.”

“Even when she’s wrong,” JR said with a sigh. “I wish I could fix things.”

“I’m not sure anyone’s able to fix this,” John admitted.

“Maybe Uncle Brian…”

“I think Uncle Brian intends to stay out of this one. Fixing this is up to your moms.”

“What if they don’t want to fix it…?”

“Then, maybe it’s time for a change. You know we love you. We’ll be here to help you and support you whatever happens.”

“I know.”

“Good, then how about a hug?”

“Thanks, Uncle John,” she said as she slid off the swing and into John’s waiting arms.



*****



“Michael, a word?” Brian asked.

Michael looked up and frowned at his old friend. “Yeah, what is it?”

Brian cocked his head toward the path to the stream. He started walking knowing that Michael would follow. Soon they were seated on the big rock.

“We haven’t done this for a while,” Michael said happily. He liked having Brian’s undivided attention.

“No, we haven’t. There hasn’t been a need.”

“A need?”

“Do you know what you’re doing with JR?” Brian asked pointedly.

“Of course I know what I’m doing. She’s my daughter.”

“Do you intend to have her live permanently with you?”

“Huh?”

“You heard me, Michael. Do you?”

“I … I don’t know. I haven’t thought about that. Isn’t she just upset with her mothers? Why would she want to stay with me…permanently?”

“Michael, in case you haven’t noticed, Mel and Lindz are having some major problems … once again.”

“But … isn’t this all about JR seeing Curtis?”

Brian heaved a sigh. “That’s just the tip of the iceberg.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mel and Lindz have been having problems for a long time.”

“But I thought…”

“I know, Michael, but this time there may be no solution,” Brian said slowly, letting his words sink in.

“You mean…divorce?”

Brian nodded. “I’m not saying that will happen, but how many times can they split and get back together?”

“Have they split?”

“I don’t know for sure, but they’re barely speaking according to Gus.”

“Maybe they’ll get over it,” Michael said hopefully.

“You don’t get over it by not talking.”

“Can you…?”

“Don’t ask, Michael. I’ve intervened more times than I care to think about. This time it’s up to them.”

“So, why are you telling me all this if it’s up to the girls?”

“Because you have JR at the moment, and you need to be prepared if they do split permanently.”

“You think JR would want to live with me?” Michael asked in surprise.

“You’re where she ran when she couldn’t stand it with her mothers.”

“Yeah, I guess she did.”

“All I’m saying is think about it and be prepared.”

“Okay, I can do that.”

“Of course you can, Mikey,” Brian said gently. He kissed Michael’s cheek before they headed back to the festivities.



*****



“Where are Michael and Brian going?” Riley asked as he saw the two men disappear down the path by the Wendy house.

“The stream is down there.”

“Oh, are they swimming?”

Danny chuckled. He had enjoyed sitting and talking with Riley under one of the shade trees in the yard. “You can swim in the stream, but it’s also a great place for sitting and thinking … or talking and working things out.”

“Do Michael and Brian have a problem?”

“No, but I think my granddaughter may have a problem,” Danny admitted. The absence of JR’s mothers, and the fact that JR was staying with her father was very worrisome.

“JR? That was her name, right?” Danny nodded. “What problem does she have? She seems like a very nice young lady.”

“She is.”

“Then what’s wrong?’

“Her mothers are not getting along at the moment.”

“Oh.”

“It’s … it’s not looking good.”

“That’s too bad.”

“JR is staying with her father, and she will be devastated if her mothers decide to split.”

“So, what are they doing down at the stream?” Riley asked.

“I imagine Brian is filling in my son on some facts of life.”

“Isn’t your son a little old for that talk?”

Danny sighed. “Michael can be very … naïve sometimes. I’m sure Brian will set him on the right road.”

The two men watched Michael and Brian return from the stream. Michael looked worried and went to sit with his husband. Brian looked at Justin and shrugged. Justin was immediately at Brian’s side giving him a needed hug.

“I think I’d like to see this stream,” Riley said.

“Let me be your guide,” Danny volunteered readily.

The two men headed down the path.



*****



“Um, Mr. Morrison, I’ve never been an intern before, what do I wear?” Ray asked. “My dad sent one of my suits.”

“You can call me Bobby and a suit isn’t necessary unless we attend a special function. I’ll check my calendar before Monday and let you know. We’re a small firm so we tend to dress business casual. Gus has been an intern at Kinnetik for several summers, I’m sure he can help with your wardrobe. If you’re still unsure, consult Brian. He’s the ‘fashionista’ around here.”

“I guess that’s where Bree gets it from,” Ray laughed.

“Probably. But I suggest you talk to Brian unless you’re fond of pink and purple,” Bobby said with a mischievous grin.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Ray replied.

“You do that,” Bobby said as he patted the boy on the back.



*****



“This is beautiful. And you say that Brian designed all this,” Riley exclaimed in astonishment looking around as they passed through the gardens on the path toward the stream. Danny nodded. “Briana’s playhouse?” Riley asked.

“The Wendy house. The kids share, but I think Patrick’s getting too old to play house.” They took a detour to peek inside. “Tell me I’m not seeing a fireplace.”

“I’d like to but I can’t tell a lie.”

“Brian?”

“Brian.”

“The mural is Justin’s.”

“Yes.”

“Remarkable. You know I live not too far from the Village garden. I’ve visited the henge on several occasions.” Danny chuckled. “I take it there’s more to Justin’s henge than meets the eye?”

“That’s an understatement but I’ll leave the story of the henge for another day and a cup of coffee,” Danny suggested.

“I look forward to it,” Riley replied.

As Danny and Riley slowly traveled the path down to the stream, Riley took a good look around.

“This is truly amazing. I’m no expert, but Brian’s managed to mix formal plants into the natural flora. Are you sure Brian did this and not Justin?”

“Very sure. When Brian isn’t terrorizing his staff at Kinnetik, he’s out here terrorizing the weeds.”

“Terrorizing weeds?”

“Brian finds it relaxing.”

“I see. And what do you find relaxing?”

“My bookstore,” Danny began to explain, as he made himself comfortable on the great rock by the stream. “I had retired, bought a new home but was growing bored. Michael needed some help in his comic book store and I needed something to do. It was also a good way of getting to know my son.”

“You didn’t raise him?”

“I didn’t know about him. Long story.”

“Another topic to be discussed over coffee?”

“Yes. Let’s just say I had no intention of returning to Pittsburgh when I retired, but then I got caught up in a fundraiser for the Jason Kemp Center and now here I am in the middle of the biggest family in Pennsylvania. It’s funny how things work out.”

“Yes it is. No missus at home?” Riley asked with a straight face.

“Um, no. No mister either.”

“Michael’s mother?”

“A one time thing in high school, when I was trying to find myself or the truth about myself. Now she’s a good friend and we have a beautiful granddaughter. Something I never thought I’d have. I’ve been blessed. You? Any missus or mister hiding somewhere?”

“No I had a mister many years ago but I lost him to AIDS. I...”

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pried," Danny said as he patted Riley's arm. "Debbie, Michael’s mother lost her brother to AIDS and two of our boys are positive.”

“Damn. Are they okay?”

“Well, you’ve met Ben, he’s a fine specimen. I’m not sure if Hunter and his partner will be here today. Hunter runs the Jason Kemp Center, sometimes they have a barbecue for the kids at the center. Ben and Michael adopted Hunter when he was a teen.”

“This is a very special family.”

“Yes, it is. My partner at the store is very special too.”

“Is he?”

“She - Joan Kinney.”

“Brian’s sister?”

“Mother. She and Brian were estranged for years until the princess came along and made a miracle.”

“And she works with you.”

“She has a thing for old books and I needed the help. We work well together.”

“Amazing. But you live alone.”

“Yes, I was in show business for most of my life. I lived on the road and never found the time for a relationship. You?”

“After my Tony died, the light seemed to go out. I had a few relationships but nothing serious like I had with Tony. And like you, I’m on the road. I go where the symphony needs me to go. Sometimes I get commissioned to other orchestras.”

“But wouldn’t it be nice to have someone to come home to?”

“Yeah, maybe it would.”

The men were quiet, relishing in the fine day. The noises of the surrounding woods and stream were comforting and soothing.

“What are these figurines?” Riley asked when he spied the replicated Patrick statues that Justin had ‘planted’ near the great rock. “Wait, another story for coffee?” Riley said with a genuine smile.

“Yes, another story and I’d be honored to tell you all about it.”



*****



“Pop, I’m worried about Mom and Mama. They still aren’t talking. I’m afraid JR won’t go back home in the Fall.” Gus was helping his father refill several of the snack bowls to bring out.

“I know, Sonny Boy. I wish there was something I could do but I don’t think I can help this time.”

“I know," Gus sighed. "You’ve always been there for them for as long as I can remember, and I don’t think they realize it. I don’t care about me, but JR, I don’t want her to be hurt.”

“Gus, I’m afraid getting hurt will be inevitable, but Mikey and Ben will be there for her. So will Debbie and Danny. And we’ll be there too, Sonny Boy. JR won’t be alone.”

“Thanks, Pop,” Gus said hugging his father. “I love you.”

“Love you too, Sonny Boy. Come on, let’s get these snacks outside before the hordes eat the furniture.”

“Oh, Pop!”



*****



“Mr. Riley, when are you going to fix my piano?” Bree asked Riley when he and Danny emerged from the garden path.

“Well, Miss Bree, if it’s all right with you and your fathers, I’ll start on it first thing in the morning.”

“Oh yes! Thank you,” Bree said with a bright smile. “Dada will cook breakfast first and then you can start.”

“Your Dada cooks breakfast?”

“Yes,” Bree said, her ponytails bobbing up and down. "He makes the best breakfast, except for Hudson, she made the bestest porridge.”

“Porridge?”

“Yes, with raisins...”

For the rest of the afternoon, Riley was informed all about London, porridge, the big rocks and the smelly baths.

“Do you think we should rescue the man?” Justin asked Brian when they realized Bree had cornered poor Riley. He was sitting under an umbrella with Bree on his lap and Danny sitting close.

“I think Riley can take care of himself. But if he needs help, Divina will be more than willing to lend a hand.”

“Divina? You don’t mean...?” Justin turned to look at Riley and Danny.

“Uh huh,” Brian smirked then winked.

“Hmmm,” Justin commented as he too smirked then winked back.

Chapter 10 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 10




“How’s it going, Richie?” Seth asked as he took a piece of cake from the newly laid out dessert table in the sun porch.

“Okay,” was the brief reply.

“Are you getting caught up at school?”

“Sort of … but there’s always more.”

Seth laughed. “You never stop learning,” Seth said wisely.

“Have you been talking to Uncle Ben?” Richie asked.

“He probably told you just what I said. Ben’s a very wise man.”

“Yeah.”

“Are you feeling more at home with everybody now?” Seth asked.

“It’s easier. I remember almost everybody’s name … except yours,” Richie replied with a mischievous grin on his face.

“Seth Harris, nice to meet you, young man,” Seth said with a straight face, extending his hand for Richie to shake.

Richie shook hands. “Um, I was just kidding,” Richie said quickly. He wasn’t sure how serious Seth was.

“So was I,” Seth laughed. “You’ll find lots of people in this group who will enjoy yanking your chain.”

“I’m figuring that out.”

“As long as you keep working on figuring it out, you’ll be just fine.”

“I hope so.”

“I know so.”



*****



“Dust, Dust,” a little voice said.

Justin could feel a little hand holding onto the edge of his shorts. “Did you escape from your mommy and daddy, buddy?” Justin asked as he picked the little boy up.

“Yep,” Taylor said with a giggle.

“I think someone has a crush on you,” Brian singsonged.

“I could do worse,” Justin laughed kissing the little round cheek of his nephew.

“I’ll take him,” Owen said as he approached.

“He’s fine. I like having the adoration of a baby,” Justin said with a smile.

“Okay, if you’re sure,” Owen replied before walking back to where his wife and parents were sitting at a table under an umbrella.

“Wanna go for a walk, Taylor?” Justin asked.

“Where are you going?” Brian asked.

“I think it’s time Taylor sees the stream.”

“Want company?”

“Naw, you need to make sure all our guests have drinks.”

“Yes, master.”

Justin chuckled as he set Taylor down and took his little hand. They started towards the path.

“Daddy, can I come too?” Bree asked.

“Of course you can, sweetheart.”

“Beau wants to come too.”

“Beau is very welcome to accompany us,” Justin said formally. He couldn’t help but smile.

Beau gave a little woof to let them know he was glad that he was welcome to go with them on their little jaunt.

“Can Taylor walk that far?” Bree asked.

“I think he can,” Justin replied. “Why don’t you take his other hand? That will help him.”

“’Kay, Daddy.” Bree took Taylor’s hand and they continued along the path.

When they got to the clearing, Justin stopped. “Okay, little man, this is our favorite spot around here. We have the stream over there, which you must not go near. Is that understood?” Taylor looked up into Justin’s face and grinned.

“He’s not going to stay away from the stream, Daddy,” Bree said sagely.

“I know,” Justin sighed. “We’ll just have to keep a close eye on him and make sure he doesn’t get too close to the edge of the water. And we’ll keep telling him he has to stay away. You should tell him that too,” Justin advised.

“Okay,” Bree agreed. “Taylor,” she said seriously squatting down in front of her cousin, “you have to listen really careful. You cannot go close to the stream. It’s very dangerous for little boys like you. Don’t go near it.”

Taylor studied Bree’s face and frowned. He could tell she was talking to him about something serious. “Bee,” he said after a long pause.

Bree stood up. “I don’t think he gets it, Daddy.”

“Probably not, but we have Beau to keep an eye on him, as well as us.”

“That’s good,” Bree said.

“This is the big rock,” Justin continued, walking Taylor towards the large piece of granite. “When you get older this will be a great place to come and think about things.”

“Yeah,” Bree agreed.

Taylor began to try to climb onto the rock, but his little legs were too short.

“Pick him up, Daddy,” Bree instructed.

Justin lifted Taylor onto the rock and sat down beside him, his arms firmly around the little boy so he couldn’t fall off the edge of it. Beau observed all this and then went to lie down under a nearby tree.

“See the sky up there through the trees,” Justin said to the boy. “It’s always cool here even when the sun is very bright. The little breeze that blows across the stream is cool too. Feel it?”

Taylor extended his hand like he was trying to catch some of the cool breeze on this hot day.

“Look, Daddy,” Bree said. “There’s a frog.” She pointed to the critter sitting on a smaller rock close to the stream.

“Fog,” Taylor said, reaching towards the amphibian that Bree had pointed out.

“Frog,” Bree corrected.

“You should tell Taylor about your Dada and the frogs,” Justin suggested with a wink.

“When he’s older, Daddy. He wouldn’t understand yet,” Bree said with a giggle.

Justin chuckled. “Perhaps not.”

“Down,” Taylor said wanting off the rock.

“Okay, but stay right with us,” Justin instructed as he set Taylor down onto the grass.

Taylor studied a butterfly that was swooping past. He reached up trying to grab it.

“Do you like Riley?” Bree asked her father as she sat down beside him on the big rock.

“He seems nice. He and Danny seem to be getting along very well.”

“I think they’re both kinda lonely.”

“You do?”

Bree nodded. “I hope Riley can fix my piano soon. I really want to play it.”

“I’m sure he’ll get it fixed as soon as he can.”

“Fog!” Taylor chirped as he saw a frog hopping towards the stream. He started running after it.

“Taylor!” Justin yelled sitting up immediately. “Taylor!” Beau sat up and quickly sized up the situation. He raced towards the stream. Justin was already speeding towards the boy as fast as his legs would carry him. He prayed the boy would stop at the edge of the stream, but no such luck. The frog hopped into the water and Taylor did try to stop at the brink of the stream. He teetered on the edge for a split second, as Justin watched him, while he ran as fast as he could towards the stream. “Please, don’t fall in,” Justin begged as he closed the gap. Again, no such luck. With a little cry Taylor toppled into the water.

Justin was there almost immediately, wading into the water and grabbing Taylor’s T-shirt. He yanked the little boy out of the water. Beau barked frantically on the bank of the stream. Taylor sputtered and coughed as Justin pulled him out of the water, and then he let out the most unearthly wail.

“It’s okay, Taylor. You’re okay, buddy,” Justin whispered as he hauled himself and his precious burden out of the stream. “You’re just scared. You’re not hurt, are you?” Justin asked as he quickly looked the boy over. He didn’t see any cuts or scrapes.

“Is he okay, Daddy?” Bree asked as she stood on the bank while Justin carried Taylor out.

“He’s fine, just scared,” Justin said praying that was the case. Taylor’s wails had subsided into more normal crying.

“Taylor, we told you to stay away from the water,” Bree chastised the baby. “This is why.” Beau barked his agreement.

“Taylor! Taylor!” came Molly’s frantic calls from the path. A second later she and Owen and everyone else emerged from the path into the clearing. Molly ran over and grabbed her son from Justin. “Is he all right?”

“Yes, he fell in the stream, but I was right behind him. He’s not hurt,” Justin said. He could feel his adrenalin still pumping. He would never have forgiven himself if anything had happened to Taylor.

“You should have known,” Sharon Brenner lectured Justin. “You can’t take your eyes off a child for a second.”

“I’m sorry,” Justin said hanging his head.

“It’s okay, Justin,” Molly said. “We know you’d never let Taylor get hurt. You saved him.”

“That baby should never have been anywhere near that stream,” Sharon Brenner insisted.

“We heard you the first time,” Brian cut her off. “Let’s go get you some dry clothes,” he said to Justin.

Justin nodded as Brian put his arm over Justin’s shoulders and steered him back towards the house.

“I tried to catch him before he fell in,” Justin whispered as they walked down the path.

“Of course you did, and that bitch better not say another word about it,” Brian stated looking over his shoulder to where everyone else was following them.

Taylor had stopped crying and Molly was carrying him back to the house. No real harm had been done.

“What’s a party without a little drama,” Brian added as he kissed Justin’s cheek.

Taylor was no worse for wear after his bout of drama. He was so well recovered that he accompanied his parents and everyone else, for that matter, back to the stream later in the afternoon. The temperature had soared so many took advantage of the cool water of the stream. While young and not so young frolicked in the water, the rest of the family found shady spots by the shore very refreshing. Amid Sharon Brenner’s incessant objections, Owen Jr. took his son back into the stream for a proper introduction.

By the end of the day the family was sated by good food, good friends and time well spent with their loving family.



*****



“Hello?” Riley tentatively called out as he came into the sun porch.

“In here!” a disembodied voice answered from the vicinity of the kitchen. “Just follow your nose,” came the added instruction. Riley did just that.

“You people are up early,” Riley observed as he looked around the room. The Edna’s Treasures clan were sitting at the kitchen table. Emmett and his boys were there as well.

“This is our traditional breakfast after the barbecue,” Emmett explained.

“Oh. I don’t want to intrude,” Riley stated as he began to turn to go out. The coffee mug thrust in his hand made him rethink his options.

“Did you sleep well?” Justin asked as he offered Riley a chair. As the older man sat, Emmett slid a basket of muffins toward him.

“Very well and I thank the ‘elf’ who left me the folding bed. That and my sleeping bag made my night most comfortable.”

“Mr. Riley, are you going to fix my piano today?” Bree asked looking up at the man with big pleading eyes.

“Well, little lady, I’m going to start right after breakfast,” Riley assured Bree.

“Yay!” Bree exclaimed excitedly.

“Do you need help moving the piano out to the shed?” Drew asked.

“I’m not going to move the whole thing just the pieces that I need to work on. But I wouldn’t mind a little help.”

“I can help too,” Patrick confirmed.

“I’d appreciate that, young man, but I don’t want to keep you kids from any plans.”

“It’s all right,” John said. “We’re having a lazy day today. The kids start camp on Monday so they can help as long as they actually help and not get in your way,” John said as he arched a brow at the children.

“I’m sure we’ll all get along just fine,” Riley said as he finished his coffee. Brian raised the coffee pot, prepared to pour more in Riley’s mug. “No thanks, I’d like to get started.”

“We’ll keep a fresh pot going for you. I’ll be working in my office so feel free to help yourself,” Brian said. “What are your plans, Sunshine?”

“I want to finish up my ‘Then and Now’ pieces. Sidney wants to have the show by the end of the summer before the emerging artists show. What about you two?” Justin asked John and Bobby.

“I’ll be working on my thesis,” John replied.

“I have a few calls to make. Now that the camp is expanding their services, they want to make sure they’re carrying the proper insurance," Bobby said.

“You’re a lawyer, not an insurance agent,” Brian said with a scowl.

“I know but I do this all the time. Insurance policies are full of legal mumbo jumbo. Besides, we have a vested interest in the camp,” Bobby said as he glanced over at the children. Brian could find no fault with Bobby’s logic.

“What about you boys?” Brian asked Emmett and Richie.

“I’ve decided that I’m going to have the weekend off!” Emmett declared with some authority in his tone. “And I’ve decided that Richie should take the weekend off as well.” Richie looked up at Emmett a bit startled. “He’s been studying every day since he’s joined us in order to catch up on all his missed schoolwork. Well, I think he deserves a break!”

“I second that,” Drew said, raising a piece of muffin in salute. “All work and no play makes Richie a very dull boy. Not to mention tired and with eye strain. It would be a shame to waste all this fine weather.”

“I guess I could read outside,” Richie said hesitantly. Emm and Drew scowled. “Or I can sunbathe in the garden?” Richie’s eyes darted back and forth between his fathers. They both smiled and nodded their heads in agreement. “Sunbathing it is,” Richie said with a smile.

“And what about the two fine lads? What are your plans today?” Riley asked as he looked at Gus and Ray. The boys blushed as the adult males in the cottage turned their collective eyes toward them.

“I think my Sonny Boy and his young man are still testing out Gus’ new bed,” Brian snarked. The adult males chuckled as Gus and Ray both blushed a deeper shade of red.

“Dada, how do you test a bed?” Bree asked innocently. All eyes turned to Brian for his response. Justin smirked awaiting his spouse’s pearls of wisdom.

“Sleep, Squirt,” Brian said without missing a beat. “You test it by going to sleep or in this case a nap,” Brian explained as he patted Gus and Ray on their shoulders, pointing them toward the hall and Gus’ room. “The boys worked so hard yesterday that they need a nap. So while you help Riley with your piano and Daddy paints and I’m upstairs, the boys will be working very, very hard at testing the bed.”

“Oh, okay, Dada.” Satisfied, Bree slid off her seat, took Riley’s hand and walked toward the piano effectively declaring an end to breakfast.

“I guess that’s that,” Justin said with a smile.

The families of the Edna’s Treasures clan got down to business.



*****



“Molly, I don’t understand why you want to spend all your time out here, in the middle of nowhere,” Sharon said with some disdain. Sharon and Owen Sr. had decided to stay the night while Jennifer and Seth went back to the city after the barbecue.

“It’s very simple, Mother Brenner,” Molly began as she wiped down the table in the breakfast nook. “I like it here,” Molly said very succinctly. “It’s peaceful. And after working all week long in the city, I find it restful.”

“Well, if it’s rest you’re looking for, why not go to the shore? There are some marvelous bungalows for rent.”

“Why rent when we have this beautiful cottage. It’s perfect.”

“Yes, it is very lovely but that stream is very dangerous.”

“No more dangerous than the shore with its riptides and polluted beaches.”

“But...”

“Sharon, why don’t you check our bags to make sure I didn’t forget anything,” Owen Sr. said, coming to Molly’s rescue.

“Owen Brenner, sometimes I think you’d forget your head if it wasn’t attached,” Sharon declared as she went to check their bags.

“That’s why I have you dear, to remind me,” Owen replied sweetly.

“Hmm,” came a faint grumble.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart,” Owen said to his daughter-in-law. “She means well.”

“I know,” Molly said with a peck to her father-in-law’s cheek. She really liked Owen Sr. Molly was sure that her Owen got all his sweetness from his father. Molly wisely left well enough alone as did Owen Jr. Her in-laws would be leaving shortly and she was looking forward to spending some quality time with her two men.

Molly sat smiling serenely at that very thought.



*****



“Ungh!” Gus came with a muffled cry. Ray wasn’t too far behind him. They lay together on Gus’ new bed happily sated, for the moment.

“I think I like these tests,” Ray said with a giggle.

“Yeah, it sure beats finals,” Gus agreed.

“You know we really should test out all aspects of this bed,” Ray suggested. Gus could hear the mischief in Ray’s voice.

“Oh? And how do we do that?” Gus asked as he propped up his head on his arm.

“Well now, just take a good look at the foot of the bed. That foot board looks sturdy enough but how do we know if it will hold something draped over it.”

“Hmm, like a heavy quilt, for example,” Gus seriously contemplated.

“Exactly,” Ray agreed nodding his head. “I mean, we want to make sure your dads didn’t get cheated, now don’t we.”

“Oh no, my Pop would never stand for that. So how do you suggest we test it?” Gus said waggling his eyebrows.

“Like this,” Ray whispered as he got up, taking the bedspread with him. He draped the spread over the foot board then draped himself over the spread. He was at the perfect height for Gus. Not that it mattered to Gus. To Gus, Ray was just perfect.

“I see,” Gus murmured. Grabbing some necessary supplies first, Gus got himself in position, then had a slight change of plan.

“Holy fuck,” Ray cursed into the mattress as he felt Gus’ tongue work magic on his ass. Gus laved Ray’s hole as he stroked himself hard. Quickly slipping on a condom then adding extra lube, Gus slowly entered Ray.

“Yes,” Ray hissed, gripping the sheets as Gus took them both on a long hard ride.

Later, after they both came hard then struggled to get back into bed, the boys cuddled.

“I think I could test out this bed with you all day,” Ray mumbled sleepily.

“And all night,” Gus added. They snuggled closer, shared a few more kisses then fell asleep.



*****



“The boys seem to be giving the bed a real workout,” Brian snarked as he walked by Justin to get himself another cup of coffee. “It’s a good thing John made sure these walls were properly insulated and we have thick doors.”

Justin stood back to check the alignment of his canvas. “And it’s a good thing we have sturdy locks on the doors as well.”

“For that, I am truly grateful, Sunshine” Brian said as he brought his artist into his arms for a toe curling kiss.

“What was that for?” Justin asked when he was allowed to come up for air.

“Just letting you know that I’m also grateful for you too,” Brian said with a sideways smile.

“Me too,” Justin murmured against Brian’s lips. They stayed liplocked for a few more seconds until the twang of piano parts signaled they were no longer alone.

“Later,” Brian said as he reluctantly let Justin go then opened the sun porch door to let Riley and Drew out.

“Later,” Justin replied as he returned to his canvas.

Chapter 11 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 11





“Mr. Riley, do you like porridge?” Bree asked, as she sat on an upside down pail and watched Riley cleaning some of the parts of her piano.

“Yes, as it happens, I do. Why do you ask?”

“When I was in England, there was this lady who was the housekeeper where we stayed. She made the bestest porridge I ever tasted,” Bree said sincerely.

“The bestest?”

“Yep.”

Riley chuckled. “When were you in England, little lady?”

“After Christmas. My Daddy had an art show over there. We saw lots of good stuff.”

“I bet you did,” Riley said thoughtfully. “I always thought I’d like to travel, but … suffice it to say, I never did.”

“You should, Mr. Riley. There’s lots of things to see and do.”

“What did you do while you were there? You told me about some of your trip yesterday.”

“We went up in this really, really big ferris wheel called The London Eye. It was kind of scary at first, but then I really liked it. You could see everything from up there.”

“That sounds exciting.”

“I told you we saw these old rocks called Stonehinge. I think that’s the name of them.”

“That would probably be Stonehenge,” Riley chuckled.

“Yeah, that’s it. They were pretty boring.”

“Boring?”

“Yeah, who wants to look at old rocks?”

“They’re very famous old rocks,” Riley replied. “Some people think they have magical properties.”

“Magic.”

“Yep.”

“Nobody told me that,” Bree said rather indignantly.

“Do you know the story of King Arthur and Merlin?” Bree shook her head. “It’s a good story. You should ask your daddies to read it to you.”

“I can read it myself,” Bree said matter of factly.

“Of course you can,” Riley laughed. “I should have known that.”

“Anyway, I’m hungry,” Bree informed Riley. “I’d really like some of Hudson’s porridge.”

“Porridge? Not cookies?” Riley asked. This little girl never ceased to amaze him.

“Cookies are good, but porridge is better.”

“Maybe your daddy could make you some.”

“He does make it, but it’s not quite the same as Hudson’s,” Bree said with a sigh.

“Maybe a cookie would hit the spot in its place.”

“Maybe,” Bree agreed as she stood up. “Do you want a cookie?”

“Sure, if there’s one going,” Riley said with a smile.

“I’ll see.”

Bree ran out of the shed towards the house. Beau bounded across the yard when he saw her. He had been lying in the shade watching his human boy and his red haired father playing catch.

“You want a cookie too, Beau?” Bree asked as she reached the door of the sun porch.

Beau gave a little woof as he followed her inside.

Justin was painting in the middle of the sun porch. Bree approached quietly. She knew her father could concentrate to the exclusion of everything, and everyone, else.

“Daddy,” she said softly so as not to startle him. “Me and Mr. Riley and Beau want cookies.”

“Hm,” Justin said as he continued to paint. “Ask Dada.”

Bree heaved a sigh. No cookies were forthcoming from this source. “Could I have porridge instead?”

“Ask Dada.”

With a heavier sigh, Bree started up the stairs to her Dada’s office.

“What’s up, Squirt?” Brian asked when she came through his office door.

“Me and Mr. Riley and Beau want cookies. I really want porridge, but Daddy’s painting and told me to ask you. I really want Hudson’s porridge, but Daddy’s would have been okay. So now I want cookies, since nobody is going to make me porridge,” Bree said as she finally took a breath and crossed her arms on her chest waiting for her Dada to hop to it.

Brian chuckled. “I could make you porridge.”

“No, Dada,” Bree replied shaking her head. “You make good bacon and eggs and pancakes and stuff, but your porridge isn’t so good.”

“Is that right?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“Yes, Dada. ‘Member when you tried to make it. You had to throw out the pot.”

“Trust you to remember that,” Brian laughed.

“Cookies, Dada,” she reminded him.

“Yes, Commander Squirt. Coming right up,” Brian said as he pushed back his chair and stood up.

Bree followed her father down the spiral staircase and into the kitchen.

“I think Auntie Emm left some cookies in the cookie jar,” Brian said as he lifted the lid.

“Yum,” Bree said.

“Would you like milk with them?”

“Yes, please, and don’t forget some for Mr. Riley.”

“Of course not. Would he like coffee with his?’

“Um, I forgot to ask.”

“I’ll pour him some just in case,” Brian said as he took a mug out of the cupboard, also one for himself.

Once the cookies were on a plate and drinks were provided, Bree reminded her father, “Beau wants a cookie too.”

Beau had been waiting patiently beside the counter. He gave a little woof to reinforce what Bree said.

“Here you go, boy,” Brian said fishing out a Milkbone from the bag in Beau’s drawer. He tossed it to the big dog who caught it easily. “Bring it outside, Beau,” he ordered and Beau headed for the sun porch door.

Brian picked up the tray of cookies and drinks. Bree ran ahead to open the door for him. Beau had already used his doggie door and was chewing his bone in the shade of the big tree.

“Nice work, Sunshine,” Brian commented, as he passed Justin and his easel.

“Hm,” Justin replied.

Brian smiled as he continued to the door and followed Bree out to the shed.

“Cookie break!” Brian called as he entered the shed.

“Sounds good,” Riley replied setting down the part he had been working on and wiping his hands on a rag. “Pull up a pail.”

Bree sat down on her stool and Brian handed her a cookie and her glass of milk. Riley pulled his stool over and took a cookie and a mug of coffee. Brian sat down on the pail next to Bree, his long legs up around his neck or so it seemed. He took a sip of his coffee.

“You don’t look very comfortable there,” Riley chuckled.

“Now that you mention it, I’m not. I think we have a few chairs that we could use,” Brian said standing back up. He went outside and grabbed one of the lawn chairs that they had used for the barbecue. “Much better,” he said as he sat back down in it.

“These cookies are delicious,” Riley said with his mouth full.

“But not as good as Hudson’s porridge,” Bree stated.

“How did you get onto the subject of Hudson?” Brian asked, curious.

“Bree was telling me some more about her trip to England. She seemed to really have enjoyed it.”

“Except for Stonehenge,” Bree said, making sure she said the word correctly.

Brian chuckled, remembering the tired Bree who only wanted to sleep that day. “Have you traveled much, Riley?” Brian asked.

“Nope, hardly at all. Had no one to travel with,” he added sadly.

“Maybe you and Danny could plan a trip,” Brian suggested. “You seemed to hit it off really well at the barbecue.”

“Danny was telling me how he was glad not to be traveling anymore, so I doubt that would work.”

Brian noted that Riley looked a little sad as he made that statement. He might have to do a little matchmaking of his own. Mentally Brian slapped himself. He hadn’t really thought that, had he? What had he become?

“Cookie, Dada,” Bree prodded.

“Sure,” Brian replied and absent-mindedly handed her the plate to take another cookie. Bree happily did so, while her father seemed distracted.

“I was thinking, Miss Briana, that it might be nice to send this Hudson lady a letter telling her how much you liked her porridge and that you miss it,” Riley suggested.

“Oh, yes!” Bree agreed enthusiastically.

“We could email her,” Brian said coming back into the present. “It’s faster.”

“But not nearly as gratifying,” Riley said. “I keep a little folder of all the handwritten notes I’ve received from people whose pianos I’ve resurrected. They make you feel good. When you open the envelope and read their heartfelt thanks, written in their own hand on lovely stationery, there’s … nothing better. Almost nothing better,” he amended.

“I want to write a letter to Hudson,” Bree said to her father. Riley’s words had made her see that Hudson might be very pleased to get it.

“Okay, Squirt, let’s go do that, and leave Riley to get his work done.”

Riley smiled as he watched Brian pick up the tray and Bree follow him out of the shed. He couldn’t help but think what his family might have been like … if AIDS had never happened.



*****



Brian was sitting on the great rock by the stream. It was so quiet that he felt like he was the only one left in the world. The crunch of work boots on the path broke through Brian’s reverie.

“Am I disturbing you?” Riley asked. He was taking a break from his labors.

It was about ten in the morning on the Monday following the holiday weekend. Gus and Ray, looking very dapper in their business casual clothes, had left with Bobby to go to Harrisburg. Bobby would drop off Gus at Part Deux then he and Ray would go to Bobby’s office for the day.

John took the kids to day camp then went over to the school construction site. The Anderson Construction Company was getting close to finishing the new school and athletic center. John wanted to be on hand to personally supervise the progress. Gordon stayed in Pittsburgh, supervising their other projects.

Justin was almost finished with his “Then and Now” paintings and sketches. He was bringing in his completed work to the gallery. He had a few more pieces to work on and needed the room. Plus Sidney wanted Lindsay to prepare for the opening.

Molly and her family had taken the week off to spend in their cottage and to recover from their time spent with Sharon. Emmett, Drew and Richie were spending time in their own cottage.

That left just Brian and Riley.

“Not at all. I was just enjoying the quiet.”

“It is remarkably quiet out here but you seem to enjoy it for a city boy.”

“I do. I’ve had my fill of noise. What about you?”

“I can see myself in a small place out in the middle of nowhere when I retire or in the off season. I wouldn’t mind tuning pianos as a hobby, maybe giving a lesson or two.” Brian perked up.

“I’d hire you to give Bree lessons. She already likes you.”

“She’s a very special little girl but I’m happy the way things are.”

“Are you sure? I can make it worth your while,” Brian said turning on the old Brian Kinney charm.

Riley laughed. “I know all about you, Stud. I may be old but I’m not dead. I’m flattered but when I’m finished with the spinet, I’ll give you a few names.”

“And they’d come all the way out here?”

“One young woman that I know of lives not too far from here. But let’s concentrate on getting the spinet tuned before we do anything else.”

“Fine with me. I can use some more coffee. How about you?”

“I can never have enough coffee,” Riley said with a grin.

“A man after my own heart,” Brian quipped as he hopped down from his perch on the rock. “WHOA!” Brian yelled as he did some weird sidesteps and then made a running leap onto the path.

“Okay. Was that a ritual you all do when you get down from the rock?” Riley asked. He was a little dumbfounded at Brian’s dance.

Brian pointed back toward the rock. Something moved; Brian jumped back. “Is that my phone? I better get it, could be important. Meet you in the kitchen,” Brian said as he made a hasty retreat.

Riley crept closer to the rock to find out what spooked the great Brian Kinney. A pair of large startled dark eyes peered up at Riley. “Well, hi there, little fella,” Riley addressed the frog like an old friend. “You sure know how to light a fire under the boss man,” he chuckled.

The frog, not impressed with the accolades, hopped toward the stream. With one great leap, the frog landed in the water with a loud splash.

“Have a nice day!” Riley said as he turned to go back to the cottage for his coffee.



*****



“We’re a smaller office than Kinnetik; however, we pull in almost the same amount of annual revenue,” Scott explained during the first day of orientation for the interns.

Unlike Vance’s agency, Kinnetik offered a paid internship for the summer. During the school year, the time spent at Kinnetik was part of the college curriculum. Gus was the only one with prior experience interning for July. He smiled smugly at the familiar orientation packet. ‘Piece of cake,’ Gus thought.



*****



“Um, hello? It’s Todd!”

“Come on in, we’re the last cottage on the right,” Brian instructed as he pressed the release button for the gate. Todd heard the buzzer and watched as the cast iron gate slowly swung open. Carefully, Todd drove his truck around the drive then up the lane.

Brian watched as Todd pulled his truck up in front of Edna’s Treasures and parked. “Have any trouble finding us?” Brian said as he held out his hand to Todd to shake hands.

“None at all. Your directions were very precise. This is amazing,” Todd exclaimed as he got out of his truck and took a look around. “Are all these cottages designed by the same person?”

“Yes and no.”

“Do I have to ask?”

“Why don’t we take a little tour and I’ll explain.”

“Sounds good to me. Does that tour include the name of the landscaper?”

“Yes and no,” Brian snarked then slowly took Todd on a walk back down the lane.

“So you did the planting in your own garden...”

“With some help from my daughter,” Brian added.

“And you designed the gardens for Emmett and Molly but had a landscaper do the actual planting.”

“Yes.”

“So what do you need me for?” Todd asked, not fully understanding what Brian was offering.

“Playing with flowers isn’t the only thing a good landscaper does. When my lawn service comes to mow and edge the lawn I always feel I have to go out and do it over. I know I’m anal about some things, excuse the pun, but if I hire someone to do a job, I don’t expect to do it over myself.”

“I understand. That was one of the reasons my own business couldn’t compete with the larger firms. I pride myself in doing the job right the first time. However in Chicago, doing it faster got the contract rather than being meticulous.”

“Let me buy you a cup of coffee. I may just solve both our problems,” Brian invited Todd into the cottage.



*****



“Honey, I’m hooome!” Justin announced as he came through the front door a few hours later.

“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian called out. “In the kitchen with Todd.”

“Hi Todd, how’s it going?” Justin automatically asked as he held out his hand.

“Fine,” Todd responded then they all chuckled.

“Where’s Riley?” Justin asked as he put his messenger bag on the counter then dug into the refrigerator for something to drink.

“In the shed,” Brian answered.

“Is he making progress?” Justin asked. He poured himself some juice.

“According to him, he’s making very good progress. He figures a few more days and he’ll give us some recommendations for instructors.”

“Great! Bree’ll be so excited to hear that. So, is Todd interested in your proposal?”

“Todd is very interested,” Todd replied with a grin. “We were just about ready to go check out the garden center. Would you join us?”

“No, you guys go ahead. I got an idea in my head for another painting as I was driving home. I want to sketch it out on canvas. Bri, would you pick up the kids from camp on your way home?”

“Yes, sir, General Sunshine, sir!” Brian replied with a salute.

“Get outta here,” Justin commanded, waving a dish towel at his silly spouse.

“Come on Todd, time to amscray,” Brian suggested as he led his new business partner out the front door.


Chapter 12 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 12






“I think we have much the same ideas about things,” Brian observed as he and Todd walked out of the garden center.

“Who would have thought…?” Todd joked.

“The ultimate bottom and the total top,” Brian chuckled.

“Total?” Todd asked with a quizzical look.

“Well, nobody’s total anything,” Brian admitted.

“Yeah, I know.”

“You mean…?”

“Occasionally, but not for a long time.”

“No one new in your life?” Brian asked.

“I was getting heavy into the bar scene again in Chicago, before I took the trip back to Pittsburgh. I think I’m getting a little old for that, but…”

“It’s hard to meet someone,” Brian supplied.

“You could say that,” Todd admitted as they got into Justin’s SUV.

“Maybe the new scenery out here will provide someone.”

“I don’t know where I could meet anyone around here.”

“It is kind of the middle of nowhere,” Brian laughed. “But there’s a little gay bar that I know of called the Honey Bear.”

“I like the name,” Todd said with a grin.

“I’ll give you directions.”

“I thought you might like to go with me.”

“Justin might not approve of that,” Brian said with a shake of his head and a sheepish grin. That sounded so hetero.

“You could bring Justin.”

“We don’t really do the bar scene much anymore.”

“I understand,” Todd replied.

“What do you understand?” Brian asked with a frown.

“You’ve settled down.”

“I haven’t settled for anything!” Brian said vehemently. “I’m exactly where I want to be.”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you,” Todd said quickly.

“You didn’t, but get this straight. I’m not the Brian Kinney you used to know.”

“I kind of figured that out,” Todd said. He watched Brian out of the corner of his eye. This definitely was a new and different Brian Kinney. Todd was pretty sure it was a Brian Kinney that he could work with, and one that he might even grow to like.

They rode in silence to Camp Little Flowers.



*****



“Dada!” Bree screeched as the SUV pulled into the parking lot at the camp.

“Hey, Squirt,” Brian smiled as Bree barreled over to him and threw her arms around him. “Miss me?”

“Yep, did you miss me?” Bree asked with a grin.

“It was awfully quiet around Edna’s Treasures without you.”

“Did Riley finish my piano?”

“Nope, but he said it should be done in a few days.”

“’Kay,” Bree said with a sigh.

“Bree, this is Todd. We’re going to work together on landscaping.”

“I love gar-gar,” Bree said with a giggle. Then she held out her hand, which Todd was smart enough to take and shake genteelly.

“It’s very nice to see you again, Miss Bree,” Todd replied. He remembered her from the parade in Pittsburgh, walking proudly with her daddies. “Have you done much gar-gar?”

“All my life,” Bree said emphatically.

Todd chuckled. “That must be why your Dada said you consulted with him on some of his gardens.”

Bree bobbed her head. “I like to help. Dada needs me sometimes.”

“You got that right, Squirt.”

Bree smiled broadly, just as Patrick ran up to them.

“Hi, Uncle Bri. I’m ready to go home.”

“Before we leave, Patrick, I’d like you to meet Todd. This is my brother’s son, Patrick. You may remember him from the PRIDE parade too.”

“Hello, Patrick,” Todd replied.

“Hi.”

“Let’s get cracking,” Brian said. So far they hadn’t seen Winona or her mother. If they left immediately, maybe they wouldn’t.

“Mr. Kinney, how are you?” Mrs. Vanderbrot called as she hustled across the parking lot. “It’s so good to see you again.”

“Thanks,” Brian said and left it at that.

“And, Bree, you’re looking lovely as always,” she added giving Bree a cursory glance. “Have you seen Winona?”

“She’s coming out of the main building over there,” Patrick informed the woman. He pointed to Winona who was standing on the porch apparently looking for her mother. “Don’t we need to get going, Uncle Bri?” he asked.

“Right! We do,” Brian said quickly as they all climbed into the SUV.

“Winona, dear!”

They could all hear Mrs. Vanderbrot shouting, as Brian gunned the vehicle out of the lot.



*****



“So, how was your first day at Part Deux?” Brian asked as the family was all seated around the table in the sun porch.

“Piece of cake,” Gus said with a grin. “Having interned at Kinnetik, I knew all the stuff we did today. I’m going to have a great month there.”

“Is that so?” Brian asked with a frown. He had hoped Gus would like working at Part Deux, but this seemed like Gus found it all too easy, that he might not get anything out of working there.

“I remember when I interned at Vangard,” Justin said with a soft smile.

“Orange is the new blue,” Brian whispered. Justin smiled at him.

“Um, what does that mean?” Todd asked. They had invited Todd to stay for dinner.

“That was a very profound statement by a very inexperienced young intern,” Brian said pointedly.

Justin laughed. “I was inexperienced, but when the Eyeconics woman…”

“Eyeconics bitch!” Brian corrected.

“When the Eyeconics executive,” Justin said giving Brian the look that meant for him to shut up, “…didn’t like the colors in her latest ad campaign, I merely observed that orange was the new blue.”

“And nearly cost me the fucking account,” Brian added.

“I beg to differ,” Justin retorted. “I got that account for you. She loved the ads with orange as the dominant color. They really stood out.”

“Wow!” Gus said. “Maybe I can contribute something like that at Part Deux.”

“Don’t count on it, Sonny Boy,” Brian reminded him.

“What? Can’t I give input?”

“When it’s asked for.”

“But Justin just said that…”

“What Justin did nearly got his internship ended,” Brian snarked.

“Except that he had an ‘in’ with the boss,” Gus replied with a big grin.

“And you don’t,” Brian reminded him.

“Not with Scott, but I do with you.”

“And I’ll fire your ass if you do anything out of line.”

“You wouldn’t…” Gus said with shock on his face.

“Gus, I expect you to be on your best behavior…”

“So, Ray, how was your first day working with Bobby?” Justin asked, changing the subject. He could see a fight, or at the least, hurt feelings looming if he allowed things to keep going the way they were.

“It was great!” Ray replied. “I did filing and read some stuff for Bobby.”

“That’s called research,” Bobby laughed.

“Oh, okay,” Ray laughed. “I think I’m going to really like it.”

“And how was camp?” John asked the children.

“Good,” Patrick replied.

“Okay,” Bree added.

“Just okay?” John questioned.

“It was okay, but I’d rather play my piano,” Bree said, giving Riley her best longing look.

“A few days more, Miss Bree,” Riley said. “A few days more.”

“Okay,” Bree said with a smile.

Everyone looked at the impatient little girl, and then got back to eating their dinner.



*****



“Isn’t that Moonlight Sonata,” Drew asked as he came through the front door. He was delivering a fresh batch of popovers to the family as per Emmett’s express instructions.

“Yes, it is. It was my partner’s favorite,” Riley explained without looking up.

“It’s beautiful, although A flat sounds a little flatter to me.”

“You have a good ear. I have a little more fine tuning to do but this old girl is almost ready for the princess.”

“I’m sure Bree will be happy to hear that.”

“You play?”

“Yes, but no way near as good as you.”

“Why aren’t you giving Bree her lessons?”

“I’m not that good with little girls,” Drew said with a chuckle then explained to Riley all about the Christmas tree incident.

“Can I buy you a cup of coffee? It’s time for a break and those popovers smell heavenly. Brian keeps a fresh pot on for me.”

“I could go for a cup. And they taste just as good as they smell. Emmett has a way with flour.”

“I bet he does. You two been together long?” Riley asked as he poured two mugs and got a couple of plates for the popovers.

“Yes and no. I met him on the night of my engagement party.”

“Engagement party? Oh yes, I do seem to recall you made quite a stir when you came out.”

“Emmett was partially responsible for that. He insisted on honesty and I had some trouble giving it to him. He was also ready to settle down.”

“And you weren’t.”

“Not by a long shot. But after a few years of sowing my wild oats and with a little help from Brian, we met up again. This time it was for keeps.”

“And you have a son.”

“Foster son, but he feels like ours. He was caught cross-dressing by his parents and they threw him out.”

“Shit!”

“I know. It’s taken him a while to learn how to trust again. But he’s getting there.”

“He’s got a great set of examples to learn from. From what I saw at the barbecue, your family is very loving.”

“Yeah, it is. Anyway, I don’t want to keep you from your work,” Drew said. Break time was over.

“Before you leave, play something for me. It helps me to hear someone else play.” Drew nodded then sat on the piano bench. He gently caressed the keys before positioning his hands to play. Drew then regaled him with the Fur Elise. Riley closed his eyes, listening with his heart as well as his ears.

“You should play more often, you’re very talented,” Riley commented when Drew finished.

“Thank you. It never dawned on me to take up playing again when I retired from the game. I’ll think about it,” Drew said as he got up from the bench. “We’ll see you guys later at dinner,” he said as he left Riley to his fine tuning.



*****



“Ashley, do you think your mommy will let you sleep over this weekend?” Bree asked her best friend while they were eating lunch.

“I don’t know. She was mad when we tried to make the play date the last time.”

“When my daddies pick me up I’ll ask them if it’s okay, and then they can call your mommy,” Bree said upon reflection. She didn’t like it when her daddies got mad at her.

“Okay, that sounds good,” Ashley said. The girls finished their lunch then got back to their groups.



*****



“Hi, Justin,” Susanna St. John waved as Justin pulled up to the camp.

“Hi! It’s been ages since I’ve seen you,” Justin said with a smile.

“I know and I’m sorry. Between the work I’ve been doing on the house and the refresher courses that I’ve been taking, I’ve been rather anti-social lately.”

“Refresher courses?”

“I’ve been hired for the new school!” Susanna said with a big smile. “I’ve been out of work for so long that I thought I should take a few refresher courses to help me get back in the swing of things.’

“Makes sense. I’m so happy for you,” Justin said as he gave Susanna a hug. Just then the girls came running over.

“Hi, Daddy! Hi, Mrs. Susanna.”

“Hi, Mr. Justin,” Ashley said then gave Bree a poignant look.

“Daddy, Mrs. Susanna, can Ashley sleep over at my house this weekend. I’d really like to show Ashley my new piano. PLEASSSSE!”

“Pleassse,” Ashley echoed.

The girls looked up at their parents with longing.

“It’s fine with me; we don’t have any plans and they did ask,” Susanna said.

“Let me check it out with Brian but I have no objections,” Justin agreed.

“Yay!” the girls shouted as they jumped up and down. “Thank you!”

Justin and Susanna smiled then took their excited daughters home.



*****



“Dad,” Gus said as he helped his father carry dirty dishes into the kitchen after dinner.

“Yes, son,” Brian said with a smirk.

Gus shook his head and had to smile. “Have you heard anything from Mom?”

“No, why do you ask?”

“She hasn’t called me to see how my first few days at Part Deux were going. That’s … not like her.”

Brian frowned. “No, it isn’t.”

“JR says they haven’t been calling her at Uncle Michael’s either. Do you think something could have happened to them?”

“You mean like … they killed each other?” Brian asked.

“It’s not funny, Pop. I’m worried.”

“I know. But phones work both ways.”

“You mean I should call them?” Gus asked.

Brian nodded. “If you want to know, make the call.”

“Yeah, I guess I should.”

“On the other hand, if you don’t want to know, you don’t have to call,” Brian reminded him.

“I’ll call,” Gus said taking his phone out of his pocket. “Tell Ray I’m in my room if he’s looking for me.”

Brian nodded and watched his son open his phone as he walked down the hall towards his bedroom. He hoped the news Gus received wouldn’t be too upsetting to Gus or his sister.

“Mom?” Gus said into the phone as someone picked up.

“Yes, lambskin, how are you?” Lindsay asked. Her voice sounded almost normal but not quite. He could feel the tension radiating over the miles.

“I’m fine, but I’m kind of worried about you and Mama.”

“You shouldn’t worry,” Lindsay said with a sigh.

“So, you guys are okay?”

“As good as can be expected.”

“What … does that mean?”

“We … hardly speak, but physically she’s fine.”

“And you?”

“Physically fine,” Lindsay repeated.

“Can I speak to Mama?” Gus asked.

“She’s not here right now.”

“Is she there at all?” Gus asked dreading an affirmative answer to that question.

“Sometimes.”

“But … she sleeps there, right?”

“Yes, in JR’s room.”

“Mom, I’m really sorry. Do you want me to talk to her?”

“And say what?” Lindsay demanded. “Sorry, but this is such bullshit. She’ll never change.”

“You’ve known what she’s like, Mom.”

“Yeah, and I always hoped for change. Sometimes it seemed like we were moving in the right direction, but now…”

“Don’t give up, Mom.”

“I’ll try.”

“If I can do anything, or you want to talk to me, you know where I am.”

“Thanks, sweetheart.”

“Bye, Mom.”

“Bye,” Lindsay said wearily and cut the connection.

Gus realized he didn’t get an ‘I love you’ or even one comment about his job. Things must be really bad at home.

Chapter 13 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 13





“You ready to go to work, boys?” Bobby asked as he came into the Kinney-Taylor side of the cottages.

“Yep,” Gus said shoving back his chair. “Have fun at camp, short stuff,” he said to Bree and gave a kiss to the top of her head.

“Bye, Gus, I’m glad you’re here.”

“Thanks,” Gus said with a smile.

“Bye, Ray,” Bree added and Ray waved at her before heading to the front door. Gus and Ray left with Bobby.

“Dada, is something wrong with Gus?” Bree asked.

“Why do you ask?” Brian responded. He knew what was wrong. He and Gus had talked for quite a while after Gus’ phone call to his mother. The trouble was that no matter how much they talked it didn’t solve the situation.

“He was awful quiet. He usually teases me … and he didn’t,” Bree said.

“You noticed that, did you, Squirt,” Brian said to his very smart daughter. “I think he’s worried about his mothers.”

“Brian, maybe you shouldn’t…” Justin said cocking his head towards Bree to indicate that Brian shouldn’t bring that topic up in front of their daughter.

“JR’s worried too,” Bree replied. “She told me on the phone last night.”

“I guess the wires were humming,” Brian observed.

“Daddy, can I have a cell phone?” Bree asked.

“A cell phone?”

“Yeah, JR’s got one … and Gus.”

“But they’re older.”

“I’m getting older,” Bree informed her father.

“I don’t think you’re ready for a cell phone just yet,” Justin said looking to Brian for support.

“We just got you a piano, Squirt,” Brian told his daughter. “I think that’s enough for now.”

“’Kay,” Bree said as she slid off her chair. “I need to get my sneakers.” She ran to her bedroom.

“Thanks for your help on that one,” Justin said as he poured some coffee into a travel mug for Brian.

“You realize we’re fighting the inevitable.”

“You mean she’ll want a cell phone over and over again.”

Brian nodded. “And at some point we’re going to have to give it to her.”

“We are?”

“She won’t let us put her off forever.”

“I thought it was going to get easier as she got older,” Justin said with a sigh.

“What parenting book told you that?”

Justin gave his husband a swat as Patrick came in from the other side of the cottages. “I’m ready, Uncle Bri.”

“Bree,” Brian called. “Time to go.”

“Coming, Dada,” Bree called.

“Good luck with the landscaping company,” Justin said to his husband.

“Thanks, we may need it.”

“I thought you made your own luck.”

“I do,” Brian said with a grin and a waggle of his eyebrows.



*****



After Brian dropped the children at Camp Little Flowers, he drove to the landscaping company that he and Todd were thinking of buying. They had made an appointment with the owner. His office was in a building that looked a lot like the shed at the back of Edna’s Treasures. Brian pulled into the lot and stopped the SUV. Todd’s car pulled in a minute later. They both got out.

“How are we going to do this?” Todd asked.

“Good cop, bad cop?” Brian asked with a laugh.

“Do you think that’s necessary?” Todd asked with a worried look on his face.

“That was a joke,” Brian reminded him. “But if we need leverage, I’m perfectly capable of applying it.”

“This may be nothing to you, but I sold everything in Chicago to move back here. I need this job.” Todd was deadly serious.

“I’m not taking this lightly,” Brian countered. “I want this company, and you’re going to make it a big success.”

Brian watched Todd’s face light up. The man looked like a huge load had just been lifted from him.

“Then let’s get this done,” Todd said. His confidence seemed to have returned.

They started walking towards the office.



*****



About an hour and a half later they were sitting in a coffee shop not far from the landscaping office. They each had a coffee in front of them. Brian had even eaten a small piece of the donut he had ordered.

“You were great in there,” Todd said with a chuckle. “All I had to do was shut up and let you negotiate.”

Brian saluted Todd with his coffee mug before taking another small bite of the donut. “You made some salient points about efficiency,” Brian told his new partner. This was their immediate celebration over how well the negotiations had gone.

“I don’t think waste ever adds anything to a business,” Todd said. “Mr. Montgomery has too many employees and doesn’t do anything but the paperwork himself. I intend to be hands on. I think we need to get rid of at least one worker.”

“Make it the one who doesn’t know how to trim the edges of my lawn,” Brian griped.

Todd laughed, “I’ll see what I can do. I want to go out on jobs with them when we take over in a couple of weeks. I’ll see who does what.”

“I like the way you think.”

“Thanks, and I like the way you get things done.”

Brian nodded. “We make a good team.”

“And you want me to run the business on a day to day basis?”

“Yes. Ted will be available if you have financial or insurance questions. I wouldn’t mind working on landscaping projects, but only if you want some help.”

“Having seen your gardens at Edna’s Treasures, I’m sure your input would be invaluable.”

Brian felt pride in his gardening achievements hearing Todd say that. “Then I will get Bobby to draw up the contracts. Ted will look them over, and we should be partners and owners of…”

“Yes?” Todd asked wondering why Brian hesitated.

“I had been thinking of the Sunshine Gardening and Landscaping Company, but I’m having second thoughts.”

“A new name would set a new tone for the new company. Any other ideas?”

“I think I’ll ask Justin.”

“Justin?”

“Yes, he’s named all my businesses.”

“And they’re all successful. I vote for Justin’s idea.”

Brian laughed. “I’ll tell him you have every confidence in his choice of a name.”

With that they stood up and headed out to their vehicles.



*****



“All Things Happy!”

“What?”

“The All Things Happy Gardening and Landscaping Company.”

“I heard you the first time. I just wasn’t sure if I heard you correctly,” Brian said with a scowl. “I think you’ve finally lost it, Sunshine. What the fuck kind of name for a business is that?”

“A play on words kind of name. Something, Mr. Tip Top ad man, you should be able to appreciate,” Justin countered without backing down one iota.

Brian had come back to Edna’s Treasures in triumph, relating his good news to his mate. Justin was painting in the sun porch, working on his last few pieces for his “Then and Now” show.

“‘Splain it to me, Lucy,” Brian snarked as he took up residence on a chaise to indulge in one of his best guilty pleasures, Sunshine watching.

“Okay, I’ll ‘splain. This new venture, while not really necessary to your income, is something I think will make you happy and there’s no reason in the world why you can’t have a little fun too.”

“I get the happy part but it still...”

“Let me finish,” Justin said curtly. Brian gave him a royal wave with the third finger of his right hand. Justin ignored the gesture and continued, “As I said, there’s no reason why you can’t have fun as well as make money. When I say the expression “All things happy” what does it make you think of?”

Brian pondered for a moment then grinned. He leapt off the chaise to give his brilliant but deviously clever artist a hug and a kiss.

“All things happy and gay,” Brian murmured when he finally released his lover’s lips. The full ripe red lips that were now kiss swollen. “There’s no one home,” Brian whispered.

Riley, who was almost finished with Bree’s spinet had gone back into Pittsburgh to pick up the correct wax for the wood of the piano. He also had a lunch ‘date’ with a certain retired drag queen now rare book shop owner.

“Yeah?”

“Let’s go make this gay man happy,” Brian said punctuating his request with another toe curling kiss.

“Yeah,” Justin agreed. “We can make each other happy,” Justin panted. Grabbing Justin’s wrist, Brian led his happy gay man to bed.



*****



“That was John,” Brian said as he reached over Justin to hang up the phone. “He’s going to get the kids.”

The boys had just finished round two and were debating if they had time for a shower before going to get the kids from camp.

“How convenient,” Justin said with a smile.

“Isn’t it,” Brian drawled with a waggle of his eyebrows making Justin laugh. Brian, feeling himself falling in love all over again, grabbed Justin’s nearest hand and held onto it. “John also said he’s going to take the kids into Bridgeton afterwards to spend some quiet time with Claire and Steve. They’ll probably have dinner there.”

“What about Bobby and the boys?”

“He’s taking them for pizza later. Apparently Bobby has Ray knee deep in research and one of Scott’s exec’s is doing a late presentation that requires Gus.”

“Soooo,” Justin said with a bright smile as he rolled on top of Brian, grinding their cocks together.

“Exactly,” Brian countered as he grabbed the globes of Justin’s ass and squeezed.



*****



Georgina Nielsen, a no nonsense ad woman was about to prove her worth to Part Deux and to her new client. The purpose of the ad was to entice teenagers, and their parents with the money, into buying the client’s latest clothing line. This was a first for this particular client who had resisted trends, sticking with the staid and mainstream. Ms. Nielsen’s goal was to show that a little stray now and then into popular could be very profitable.

Gus’s job was to display the boards, make sure water glasses were filled and that coffee, tea and their fixings were always at hand. His other job was just to sit in the corner and be quiet.

“So, Mr. Porter, you have the results of our test market and the opinion surveys. We also recommend not saturating the market, limit the line. This will force the customer into the select stores you want them to be in so that you can subtly promote your mainstream line as well as prevent waste in over manufacturing. As trends change, so does your new line. With our eye catching campaign, we predict complete success,” Ms. Nielsen said confidently.

Gus couldn’t help notice that one of the gentlemen in Mr. Porter’s party was rather handsome. He was so good looking that he could have been one of the models they had used for the ads. Gus was quietly going around the room refilling glasses and cups when he took a good look at one of the boards. The picture was of six or seven teens, all Goth and somewhat androgynous. One particular young man that caught Gus’ eye was...

“Hot!” Gus blurted out.

If looks could kill, Gus had just been cut in two by Georgina.

“I beg your pardon,” Mr. Porter grumbled, clearly displeased by the interruption.

“Chill, Dad,” Mr. Handsome Suit said quickly. “What’s your name?”

“Gus,” he said softly.

“How old are you?”

“Eighteen, sir.”

“And your comment refers to?”

“The model.”

“This is pointless,” Mr. Porter announced. “He’s saying that the girl is attractive, not the clothes.” Mr. Porter wasn’t sure which model Gus was singling out but Porter assumed Gus was talking about a girl. But it just proved the elder Mr. Porter’s point about the clothes. This venture into the modern was his son’s idea. Dad wasn’t too happy with it.

Ignoring his father for a moment, Mr. Handsome Suit asked for the pictures of the models prior to dressing them up in the clothes and makeup.

“Gus, any of these pictures draw your attention?” young Mr. Porter asked.

“Not really,” Gus answered honestly as he looked over the photos. They were typical model head-shots. And while very professionally done and all were attractive, Gus considered none of them ‘hot.’

“Gus, please point out the model in question on the board.”

Gus hesitated; he’d be outing himself. And while he certainly wasn’t ashamed of his orientation he had learned discretion from his father when it came to business.

“Do as Mr. Porter asked,” Georgina hissed with impatience.

Gus pointed out the hottie. The elder Porter gasped while the younger smiled smugly.

“Ms. Nielsen, which model is he?” the younger Mr. Porter asked. Georgina sifted through the pictures and came up with the model. “Do you have full shots of him?”

Ms. Nielsen rummaged through her files to find the requested pictures. The pictures were then handed to Gus.

“Wow,” Gus exclaimed, the difference was striking.

“What makes you say that?” the handsome Porter asked before his father could grumble, or before Ms. Nielsen chased Gus from the conference room. “And I’d like your honest opinion.”

“The way he’s dressed, if I saw him in a club I’d want a closer look. At him and the clothes,” Gus said honestly.

“So in your opinion, the clothes made the man.”

“Well, yeah.”

“Would you wear them?” the elder Mr. Porter asked, now becoming more interested in the conversation.

“I’m not into Goth but I could go for those pants and my boy...”

“Go on Gus,” the younger Porter gently encouraged.

“That shirt would look great on my boyfriend,” Gus blushed.

“I understand. I think my boyfriend would look hot in it too,” young Mr. Handsome stated. “Dad, I’ve grown up in this business and I understand that trends come and go, but there isn’t a law that says we can’t take advantage of them. Ms. Nielsen makes a point, we limit the line so there’s no overage and when trends change, we alter the line. I’m not telling you to stop carrying your classic clothes, because when those kids grow up and need a suit, they’ll come back to us. We were there when they wanted to look trendy and we’ll be there when they’re ready for the mainstream.

“When the kids beg their parents to take them to our store, mom and dad may realize a new suit may come in handy or a new shirt or a tie or...” the younger Porter began to tease his father.

“I get it.” Mr. Porter held up his hands in surrender. “Jeremy, you can be very stubborn when you want to be,” the older man said fondly, losing the hard business-like facade.

“I learned from you, Dad,” Jeremy said accepting the backhanded compliment.

“Ms. Nielsen,” Mr. Porter began, quickly returning to business mode. “You and this young man have convinced me.” Mr. Porter nodded at Gus; Jeremy gave Gus a wink. “You’ve made a very sound proposal. If your contracts are ready, I’d like to look them over.”

“Of course,” Ms. Nielsen said in a very pleased manner. She quickly withdrew the contracts from her folder to hand to the older gentleman. Gus took that opportunity to scurry back into his corner, his heart pounding a mile a minute.

By the end of the day, Part Deux had just won another multi-million dollar campaign due in part, to one Gus Kinney.



*****



It wasn’t until the next morning at breakfast did the Edna’s Treasures clan have the opportunity to discuss their day. They were all sitting around the breakfast table.

“Dad signed me up for baseball camp,” Patrick beamed at the table.

“Well all right!” Justin high fived his nephew. “When do you go?”

“In August, after I finish regular camp.” Patrick was ready to stretch his wings.

Bree was quietly filing it all away. She wanted to go away for soccer camp but knew it wasn’t the time to ask.

“Ray, why don’t you tell them what you did yesterday,” Bobby urged.

“It wasn’t much, but last night I thought I was going cross-eyed,” Ray joked.

“You’re too modest, Raymond. Due to this young man’s tenacity and persistence, he found an obscure but relevant law that we can pursue. It will save my client a lot of headaches and money.”

“Way to go, Ray!” Everyone cheered. Ray blushed as Gus leaned over to plant a loud kiss on his lips.

“And how was your day, Sonny Boy,” Brian singsonged. Brian had gotten an email and a phone call regarding Gus’ contribution to the meeting. Scott and Georgina were very pleased.

Gus, busting at the seams to tell his story, very quickly and loudly recanted his version of his save. After the accolades died down and everyone prepared to get going, Brian took his son aside for a small chat.

“Sonny Boy, I’m very proud of your performance and so is Scott. He sees great potential in you.”

“Thanks, Pop.”

“But I’m warning you. Do not get too cocky. I’ve seen too many in this business get cut down because they think they can do no wrong. Just because it worked out yesterday doesn’t mean the next time you try a similar tactic, it will. You were very lucky that Porter’s son turned out to be gay. If he wasn’t, Part Deux might have lost that account. Old man Porter went to several of Kinnetik’s competitors before his son pushed him to give us a try. It could have gone very badly.”

“Pop, I...”

“Gus, take this as a learning experience. You did real good, but don’t let it go to your head.”

“Okay, Pop, I won’t.”

“That’s my Sonny Boy. Now one more thing before you go to work. Have you given any thought about the kind of Fur Harry you want? We did promise that if you did good at college and learned to drive responsibly, we’d get you a car.”

“You mean it?” Gus was about to pop.

“Yeah, I mean it.”

“You know what I’d really like?”

“What?”

“A Jeep like yours,” Gus said with a faraway look in his eyes.

“Why?” Brian asked when he got his throat to work.

“Because it reminds me of you and Justin, the treehouse, lots of reasons. It just feels right.”

Brian grabbed his son, drawing him into a fierce hug. “Okay, Sonny Boy, one Kinney special, coming right up.”

“Thanks, Pop. I love you,” Gus whispered into his father’s neck.

“Love you too, Sonny Boy,” Brian said as he tightened his hug.

“Hey, Gus, move your ass!” Ray hollered from outside.

“I’m moving! I’m moving!” Gus shouted back.

“Better get going, Sonny Boy. Doesn’t look good if the boss’s son is late for work.”

“Okay, Pop. Later.”

“Later, Gus.”

From the front path, Brian watched the caravan of cars drive slowly down the lane toward the gate. It was only him and Riley working at home this day.

“That’s some family you have,” Riley commented as he poured coffee into his mug. Brian brought his own mug closer to the pot. Riley obliged him.

“Yeah, I’m one lucky son of a bitch,” Brian crowed as they clinked mugs then enjoyed their coffee.

Chapter 14 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 14





“Is your piano done yet?” Ashley asked Bree as they ate their lunch at camp.

“Almost,” Bree said.

“Can I see it this weekend?”

“Sure.”

“Are you going to take lessons?”

“Mr. Riley told my daddies about some lady that gives lessons, so I think so.”

“That’s good, because you play really good.”

“Thanks,” Bree beamed. “I love music.”

“I know.”

“But I also love soccer.”

“I know,” Ashley said when she swallowed her bite of sandwich.

“I want to go to sleepover soccer camp, but I don’t think my Dada will let me,” Bree said with a sigh. “He doesn’t like me to be away from home for very long.”

“But it’s only for a few days,” Ashley said.

“Yeah, and Patrick’s going to baseball camp.”

“Then you should be able to go too,” Ashley averred. “I wish I could go to camp like that.”

“Would your mother let you?”

Ashley shook her head. “I don’t think she can afford it.”

“Would you like to go to soccer camp with me?”

Ashley shook her head again. “I’m not good at soccer, not like you.”

“I need to figure out how to get Dada to let me go to sleepover camp,” Bree said with a sigh.

“Would your Daddy let you go?” Ashley asked.

Bree frowned and thought for a minute. “I’m not sure. He might.”

“Then maybe you should talk to him,” Ashley advised. “He could talk your Dada into letting you go.”

“Yeah, I bet he could,” Bree said brightening up. “You’re so smart, Ashley.”

“Thanks,” Ashley said with a big smile, her face alight at Bree’s compliment, all the more special because she knew how smart Bree was herself.



*****



“So, Riley, how’s the piano doing?” Brian asked. He and Riley were sitting at the kitchen table having lunch.

“Should be done tomorrow,” Riley replied. “I’m getting the outside of it spruced up. The internals are all copacetic. When I finish polishing it this afternoon, I want to get it moved to the spot where it will stay permanently, and then I can do the final fine tuning. After that I’ll get out of your hair.”

“You’re not in my hair,” Brian said. “I hardly knew you were here, except for when we enjoyed a coffee or a meal together.”

“I’ll take that as a compliment,” Riley chuckled.

“You should. I’m not very tolerant of strangers, and I don’t consider you to be a stranger anymore.” Riley nodded and smiled. “I’ll be sorry to see you leave,” Brian admitted.

“You might see some more of me in the future.”

“Oh?”

“Danny and I have been seeing each other. I might just turn up at one of your family get-togethers in the future.”

“Nothing would please me more,” Brian said meaning every word.

“Thanks,” Riley said. “You and Justin have made me feel very welcome here. That doesn’t happen in all the places where I go to tune pianos.”

“I bet.”

“Anyway, I’ve enjoyed being here and working on that beautiful old piano.”

“We were thinking of putting it out in the sun porch where the pink baby grand was,” Brian said.

“I wouldn’t advise that.”

“Oh, why not?”

“You’ve spent a lot of money getting that piano fixed up. Sitting in the sun will not only ruin the finish, the changes of temperature out there could play havoc with keeping it in tune.”

“Shit!”

“Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I thought I should warn you.”

“But the sun porch is heated and air conditioned,” Brian said. Maybe Riley wasn’t aware of that.

“Even so, you don’t want it in direct sunlight.”

“Where the fuck are we going to put it?” Brian asked looking around the house.

“I’d suggest the living room where it was when I arrived.”

“But we have family gatherings out in the sun porch. I know Bree will want to play for everyone.”

“It may be a while before your daughter is ready for public concerts on her piano. It’s a little different playing a real piano than it is a toy one.”

Brian frowned and thought for a minute. “Is…is she going to be disappointed with her piano lessons?” Brian asked with a worried look on his face.

“I don’t think she’s going to have such an easy time with this piano,” Riley counseled. “But if she sticks with it, she could be very good. She picked up the other one very quickly from what I’m told.”

“But the key will be perseverance?”

Riley nodded. “That and practice, practice, practice.”

Brian drew in a long breath. “Is there anywhere else we could put the piano?” he asked.

“If you really want it out in the sun porch, I’d suggest you put it against the wall of the house. That way it will be under the overhang and won’t get direct sunlight. The heat or coolness from the house when you have the furnace or the air conditioning running should be at its strongest. That will help to regulate the temperature enough to keep the piano in tune.”

“Okay,” Brian said with relief. “If you’re finished with your lunch, let’s see if we can make a suitable spot for it.”

He and Riley headed into the sun porch to make a space for Bree’s piano.



*****



“Gus,” Georgina said, “I have a big presentation coming up in a couple of days. I’d like you to be there for it. You handled the other one very well. You can assist with the boards and make sure everyone has their refreshments.”

“Yeah,” Gus said with a big grin. “But maybe I can do something more.” He was really pleased to be recognized for what he had done, and not just treated like someone they had to tolerate because he was the boss’ son.

“We’ll see,” Georgina said trying to be non-committal. “This campaign is for a tire company.”

“Oh,” Gus said. “My Dad’s going to get me a Jeep for my next birthday.”

“Really? When is your birthday?”

“September, but I may get it early before I go back to Penn State.”

“Lucky you.”

“I know.”

“What kind of car will it be?” Georgina asked.

“I wanted a Ferrari,” Gus laughed. “Or as my sister calls it – a Fur Harry.”

“Aw, that’s adorable.”

“Yeah, Bree’s pretty cute.”

“So, are you getting a Fur Harry for your birthday?”

“No,” Gus laughed. “And no Ferrari either. I’m hoping for a Jeep. Pop used to have one when he was younger.”

“Did he now?”

“Yeah, black with an open top.”

“Very nice.”

“So, maybe I can do some research on tires and help with the presentation?”

“I think we have all the research under control,” Georgina said.

“But it never hurts to have a younger point of view, does it?”

Georgina winced at the young reference. She was not old by any means, but apparently that was how Gus saw her. “I guess we could hear your younger point of view.”

“Great!” Gus said with a big smile. “I’ll let you know what I find out.”

“You do that,” Georgina said as she watched Gus walk away.



*****



“Mr. Morrison?” Ray began as he came into Bobby’s office with a stack of papers.

“Bobby, you can call me Bobby, even here,” Bobby said cheerfully, getting a broad handsome smile in return.

“Bobby. I just wanted to say that in the short time that I’ve been here, I’m really enjoying it. I’ve already learned so much.”

“You thinking of changing majors?”

“How can you tell?” Ray asked. Bobby gestured for Ray to take a seat.

“Your enthusiasm for research is very obvious, as is your devotion to detail. Those are fine traits and would help you make a great lawyer.”

“But I don’t want to disappoint my dad. I think he was hoping that I’d take over the real estate business sometime in the future.”

“Why can’t you do both?”

“Both?”

“Ray, I can see that you’re a hard working young man and that once you make your mind up about something you don’t hold back. The buying and selling of real estate is not always cut and dried, especially in New York City. There are zoning restrictions to consider, and who’s to say if the property you’re interested in has been declared an historic site. A good command of the law and the ability to do thorough research would be invaluable.”

“Can I quote you when I talk to my fathers about switching majors?” Bobby and Ray laughed.

“Raymond, I know your fathers are very proud of you no matter what you decide to study. And yes, you can quote me.”

“Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome. Break time over, I need those contracts copied then sent out overnight express,” Bobby directed.

“Sir, yes sir!” Ray said standing up straight, giving Bobby a little salute and a smile.

“Get out,” Bobby teased, making a waving motion with his hand. He shook his head as Ray giggled walking out the door. After a moment of reflection, Bobby picked up the phone.

“Kenneth Mann, artiste at large,” came the flamboyant response.

“Don’t you get hot keeping those flames burning so high?” Bobby queried.

“Honey, this is only simmer,” Ken retorted. He and Bobby laughed. “To what do I owe the pleasure? Raymond becoming a nuisance?”

“Not at all, just the opposite. He’s proven himself a potentially great paralegal. I’d say he’d make a very good lawyer.”

“Uh oh, do I feel a change of career coming on?”

“Don’t you remember what it was like when you were in college?”

“Do I ever! I think I made my parents’ heads spin. Plus they were trying to cope with me finding myself. It was a nightmare.”

“Ken, Ray does have the potential to become a lawyer. I’d hate to see anything stand in his way.”

“Message received and understood. Besides, there is such a thing as real estate law. We contract with different firms when we need extra legal advice. I’d be proud to have a lawyer in the family. We already have a thespian in the making. Someone has to be the practical one,” Ken commented with equal pride in his other son’s accomplishments.

“How do you guys do it?”

“Do what, honey?”

“I only have one son, you have two and so dissimilar at that. How do you find balance?”

“Love, honey, just love. With a lot of patience and understanding tempered with some common sense. There’s no manual for raising children in alternative families; we have to write our own. Besides, I think you and John are wonderful parents. You’ll be all right. Patrick is a sensible young man; you’ll see.”

“Thanks, Ken. Speaking about John, I’ve been trying to get him to take a few days off. With his school renovations and his thesis, that man works non-stop. We’re sending Patrick to baseball camp in August. Maybe we can come to New York.”

“Ooo! Have a hot time in the city! We’d love to see you both. Let us know.”

“I will and thank you.”

“For what, sweetie?”

“For just being you.”

“Flames and all?”

“May your flames never dim. Bye, Ken, say hi to Simon and Jeff for me.”

“I will, you say hi to your hunky men for me and the family. Even give that curmudgeon, Brian Kinney, a kiss for me.”

As the friends rang off, Bobby was feeling better. He dove back into his work.



*****



“Well, that does it, the piano stays where it is,” Brian declared with some resignation. He really thought they could find a good home for it in the porch.

He and Riley scoured the sun porch looking for a better spot. Justin, who was still working on his few last canvases wisely stayed out of Brian’s way. He knew the piano was fine where it was in the living room corner but he also knew that Brian must come to that conclusion by himself.

The little pink baby grand was small enough to be shifted around the porch; the spinet was not. Each corner of the porch was occupied. There was the corner where Justin’s slop sink and storage cabinet comfortably resided. Then there was the corner where the brass bed was neatly hidden by the ornamental screens. The opposite corner by John and Bobby’s cottage was devoted to Beau and no one could displace Beau. The other held one of the small round wicker tables.

Nope, the spinet had its dedicated spot in the living room.

“Brian, Bree loves her piano,” Justin began as he watched Brian with guarded amusement. “The acoustics are better in the living room and it is a very comfortable room. We’re not always out here. Especially in the winter.”

Justin put his paint brush in a cup of solvent for the moment, and crossed the porch to take Brian’s hand. He gently led his spouse into the living room. Riley cautiously followed.

“Look,” Justin said. The piano was situated in the corner between two windows. It has plenty of natural light but no direct sunlight which could fade or warp the wood. The warmth of the wood casing complimented their furniture. Justin made a little motion with his hand to Riley.

“I could use some iced tea, join me?” Justin looked up into Brian’s eyes. The deep blue eyes appeared just a little bluer, the long blond lashes, a little longer as Justin slowly batted his eyes at his lover. Brian nodded as he and Justin went to the kitchen to get the pitcher of iced tea.

As the boys poured themselves each a tall glass of iced tea, the room filled with the sweet sound of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Riley’s fingers made magic as they flew about the keyboard. The spinet, now perfectly tuned, responded in kind. When the song was over, Riley remained seated, his shoulders slightly hunched. Brian arched a brow but Justin motioned for him to stay in the kitchen.

“That was beautiful,” Justin said softly. He could tell that Riley, the big bear of a man, had tears in his eyes.

“It was Tony’s favorite. We were so stereotypical; we’d watch the movie every time it came on TV. We’d even plan parties around it. When he died, I could never stand to hear that song, let alone play it.”

“I think he’d be happy you can play it now.”

“Yeah, maybe. He was a sentimental man,” Riley said as he wiped his eyes.

“We’re very sentimental around here,” Justin added with a warm smile.

“Would you like a glass of iced tea?” Brian interjected, feeling a little useless at the moment.

“Yeah, I could go for that. Thanks,” Riley said as he got himself together then came into the kitchen.

“Here is a list of instructors that live not too far away,” Riley said as they settled themselves at the kitchen table. “This young woman is very talented,” he said as he tapped his finger on the paper. “She has a little girl close to Miss Briana’s age if I’m not mistaken. Her husband is currently stationed in the Middle East so she gives lessons to make some extra money. She had a promising career before she had the baby.”

“Having children doesn’t stop you from having a career,” Justin said.

“True, but marrying a soldier and having no permanent home, does. Faith is a nice young woman. I think Bree will like her.”

“Faith?” Brian said with a gleam in his eye.

“Yep, and you can just imagine what they named their daughter,” Riley said with the same gleam.

“Hope?” Justin ventured. Riley nodded.

“I wonder if grandma’s name is Charity?” Brian snarked.

“Nope, that’s the cat,” Riley deadpanned to a stunned Brian and Justin.



*****



“Well, what do you say, Squirt?” Brian asked his daughter as they were gathered around the piano later that night. Brian and Justin cooked a celebration dinner in honor of Riley and the piano. Emmett, Richie and Drew were also invited and so were Rachel and George. Molly and her family had already gone back to Pittsburgh.

“Thank you, Mr. Riley!” Bree gushed as she gave the big man a hug. “Thank you so much.”

“You're so very welcome," Riley said returning the hug. "Would you like to try it? It’s going to feel different than your pink piano,” Riley cautioned.

“Okay,” Bree said as she held out her hand for Riley. He took that as an invitation to explain more about her instrument. Drew, curious about the spinet as well, joined them.

Riley sat Bree on the bench, helped position her hands then suggested she play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. After a couple of false starts, Bree was able to play a passable rendition of the song. The resulting applause encouraged her to try another tune from her play book. Then Drew sat next to her and cajoled the princess into a duet of Chopsticks.

For the rest of the evening, Drew, Riley and Bree, entertained the family.

“Well, I’m convinced,” Brian declared to the company at large. “The piano stays where it is and Jerry Lee Lewis gets her piano teacher." Everyone agreed.

“Dada? Who’s Jerry Lee Lewis?”

Chapter 15 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Before the Fall

Chapter 15






“Goodbye, Mr. Riley,” Bree said sadly, holding up her arms for Riley to give her a hug.

“Goodbye, little one,” Riley said fighting back tears as he bent down and hugged the little girl.

“I’ll miss you,” Bree whispered in his ear.

“I’ll miss you too. I enjoyed having you sit on your pail and talk to me while I was working on your piano.”

Bree nodded in acknowledgment that she felt the same way, as Riley released her from the warm hug.

“It’s been great having you here, Riley,” Justin said extending his hand to shake.

“The old spinet couldn’t have been in better hands,” John said doing the same.

“I’ll miss you too,” Patrick chimed in.

“Me too,” came from Gus, Ray, and Bobby.

Riley turned and walked toward his truck. He was carrying his tools and set them in the large tool box in the back of his truck.

Brian caught up to him. “Riley, I wanted to personally thank you for everything.”

“It’s not necessary, Brian. I enjoyed my time here.”

“That makes two of us,” Brian said. “I’m going to miss our coffee breaks together. Make sure Danny brings you up here every now and then.”

“I’ll be sure to tell him that,” Riley chuckled. “He may not like me horning in on his family.”

“Tell him that’s tough. You already are part of our family.”

Riley laughed heartily. “I’ll be sure to do that.”

“And don’t forget you’re always welcome here,” Brian added as Riley got in his truck.

With a nod to Brian and a wave to the rest of the family, Riley started his truck and headed down the lane.

“We manage to find some quality people who come to Edna’s Treasures,” Bobby said as Brian walked back to the group.

“I don’t want Riley to gooooo,” Bree whined.

“None of us do, short stuff,” Gus said, “but that’s life.”

“Then I don’t like life,” Bree declared stamping her little foot.

“Not much you can do about it, Squirt,” Brian said as he picked her up. “How about some ice cream to take away the hurt?”

“Yay! Ice cream!” Bree reacted.

“How quickly they forget,” John said with a chuckle as they all made their way back into the house for their frosty treat.



*****



“Pop, what kind of tires did your Jeep have?” Gus asked while he was eating his ice cream from a big bowl.

“I don’t know. Black ones.”

Gus laughed. “I meant the brand, like Michelin or Yokohama?”

“How the fuck should I know?”

“Most men look at the tires on their vehicles,” Gus informed him.

“In case you haven’t noticed, Sonny Boy, I am not most men.”

“Okay, sorry, Pop.”

“You should ask Emmett,” Brian suggested.

“Emmett?”

“Yes, he once changed a tire on the Jeep. Maybe he’d remember what brand of tire he was changing.”

“When the hell did Emmett change one of your tires?” Justin asked.

“When you ran away to New York and I was coming after … my money,” Brian said smugly.

“Oh? I never knew that.”

“I don’t think it ever came up.”

“Something else did, as I remember,” Justin said with a suggestive look at his husband.

“You ran away to New York?” Gus asked his eyes very large at the thought.

“I was going to become a dancer in Chelsea.”

“Or a rent boy in Soho,” Brian supplied. Justin gave him a glare.

“What’s a rent boy, Dada?” Bree asked as she licked the ice cream off her spoon.

Brian groaned audibly. “Um…it’s somebody that has trouble making enough money to pay his rent,” he said trying to keep a straight face and look serious.

Gus and Ray chuckled.

“What’s funny?” Bree asked.

“Why don’t you play us something on your piano?” Brian suggested in order to change the subject.

“No, Dada.”

“What do you mean, no?” Brian asked his daughter. “We just spent a lot of money and Riley worked for days to get that piano sounding and looking good, and now you don’t want to play it?”

“I want to learn to play it properly. Riley and Unca Drew had to show me where to put my fingers all the time, and there are lots more keys than on my pink piano. I want to know what to do with them.”

“Oh,” Brian said giving Bree’s words some thought.

“Maybe we should contact that Faith woman that Riley recommended,” Justin suggested.

“I thought you didn’t want to take lessons until you were done with camp,” Brian reminded Bree.

“But now I have my bee-you-tee-ful piano that sounds reeeeeal good,” Bree said with a big smile.

“So you want us to talk to the piano lady?” Justin asked his daughter.

“Yes, Daddy. I don’t have to start right away, but soon,” she said hopefully.

“Then I guess we can give her a call,” Brian agreed.

“So, Pop, about those tires on your Jeep…” Gus said.



*****



“Auntie Emm,” Gus said into the phone, “Pop tells me that you once changed a tire on his Jeep.”

“Yes, is there something wrong with that?” Emmett asked. He couldn’t understand why Gus Kinney would be calling him about something that happened practically before he was born.

“No, nothing wrong. I was talking to Dad about tires on cars. You see, Part Deux is pitching a campaign to a tire company and I wondered what kind of tires his Jeep had, because he might get me a Jeep for my birthday, and he said he couldn’t remember what the tires were. He never pays attention to stuff like that, but he said you might remember so I thought if I called you, you could tell me and that might help in my research. Do you remember?”

“Goodyear.”

“Huh?”

“I said the tires were Goodyear.”

“Oh, thanks.”

“I’m glad you decided to take a breath or I might have forgotten what they were by the time you stopped talking,” Emmett said with a laugh.

“Oh, sorry,” Gus replied.

“I’m just teasing you, sweetie. And being a Kinney, you should never apologize.”

“I’m not my Dad,” Gus said seriously. He remembered hearing about his father’s ‘no apologies, no regrets’ mantra. Gus didn’t believe in that philosophy. He knew there were lots of times when it was prudent and just plain necessary to apologize.

“I was teasing again, Gus. I know you’re becoming your own man. I’m really happy to see that you’ve inherited some of your father’s good traits and not many of his bad traits.”

“Pop has bad traits?” Gus asked and then giggled.

“Now who’s pulling whose leg?” Emmett asked.

“Just having a little fun.”

“So, does knowing the tires were Goodyear help you at all?” Emmett asked.

“Not really. The company we’re pitching to is Pro Comp.”

“I never heard of them.”

“They make a lot of replacement tires.”

“Still never heard of them.”

“I guess that’s part of the reason they need a new advertising campaign,” Gus said.

“You could be right about that.”

“Anyway, thanks for the info,” Gus said. “I can hardly believe you were the one to change the tire.”

“People always underestimate me,” Emmett said seriously.

“Someday I’d like to hear the whole story of that road trip.”

“It all started with Daphne and Mysterious Marilyn,” Emmett said as he remembered.

“I said someday, Auntie Emm. Good night and thanks,” Gus said before cutting the connection.

“Yeah, someday,” Emmett replied to the dead line. He had a faraway look in his eye as he set the phone down.



*****



Over the next couple of weeks, Gus continued to prove himself the ‘belle’ of Part Deux. Every time Gus offered his ‘young’ input, the campaign turned into gold for the company. Gus crowed with every emailed report card that his father received. It would appear that Prince Kinney reigned supreme amongst the branch’s interns. The family was duly impressed; it was only the older Kinney keeping his opinions to himself with a wait and see attitude. If Gus was aware of his father’s reservations, he kept the knowledge to himself. Justin, knowing Brian so well, noticed his spouse’s doubts. However, Justin knew better than to question Brian when it came to Kinnetik matters. He too, kept his opinions to himself.

Raymond had a different approach to his internship. Being the sole intern and working exclusively for Bobby, Ray’s contributions were less flamboyant but no less important. His methodical research techniques were a boon to Bobby and to their clients. Bobby was sad to see Ray’s internship coming to an end. Bobby made sure Ray understood that he’d always have a position with Bobby, and he gave Ray a letter of recommendation if Ray chose to pursue law as his academic major.

As Gus’ excitement mounted, looking forward to proving himself in New York, Ray became more and more anxious. His brother, Jeff was keeping an ear to the ground, so to speak, keeping tabs on Wayne, Ray’s stalker. Wayne had returned to New York with his tail between his legs shortly after the Pittsburgh PRIDE, but that didnĀ’t stop him from honing his seduction skills at the New York PRIDE. According to Jeff, Wayne was sowing his wild oats all over the neighborhood, gaining more experience before trying again to get into Ray’s pants.



*****



“Daddy, where do these go?” JR asked her father waving the latest Rage issue up in the air. JR decided to earn her keep by working in her father’s store for the summer. She liked it there, finding it fun to keep the displays orderly and dust free. She also discovered she had a head for business and numbers. When Michael showed her his store’s ledger and the simple bookkeeping program Ted had installed for Michael years ago, JR took to it readily. She felt useful and more grown up than she had in ages. It was exhilarating and made her sad all at the same time. While her mother Lindsay was always supportive, Lindsay for the most part would give into Mel’s demands. JR never felt appreciated just for herself. Michael’s attentions were filling JR’s severely depleted well.

“The middle display, honeybun,” Michael responded. “Oops, sorry,” he said with a small chuckle as her heard JR’s foot stomp the floor. JR in her efforts to feel more grown up, at least at the store, asked her father to refrain from using his pet name for her. Michael sometimes slipped.

He smiled to himself as JR grumbled about parents in general then became embarrassed even more when he hugged her from behind. “But you are my honeybun,” Michael said loud enough for the teens in the store to hear. He then placed a sloppy kiss onto her cheeks.

“Eiw, Daddy,” JR griped, swiping at her face.

A very butch young woman, grabbed one of the Rage issues from the display as soon as JR filled the rack. Sateeena was playing a major role in this issue. Young lesbians were eagerly awaiting this installment. “My dads are the same way,” the girl whispered to JR in sympathy. JR nodded. “But I kinda like it,” the girl admitted.

“Me too,” JR whispered as she stole a glance at her father who was back behind his counter where he belonged. The young woman winked at JR as she took her comic to the counter.

JR stepped back to admire her work. “Looks good, sweetheart,” Michael called from the counter. JR shook her head as her father snickered. “Well, it does, and I didn’t say honeybun,” Michael added. Father and daughter laughed.



*****



“Ms. Goodman, you found us without difficulty, I see,” Justin said as he opened the door to allow the attractive woman and her daughter into the cottage.

“Yes, no problem, your directions were excellent. I’ve often driven past the turn off for your lane but I never knew this place existed,” Faith Goodman exclaimed as she took the offering of lemonade from Justin. The summer day was hot.

“We kinda like it that way,” Justin admitted as he handed a small glass of lemonade to Hope.

“Thank you,” Hope said politely.

“Briana will be home from camp soon, would you like to see the piano?” Justin asked.

“Love too,” Faith said brightly, flirting with the handsome artist. Justin ignored the fluttering of female eyelashes as he led Faith to the spinet. “What a magnificent instrument!” she gushed as she sat on the bench moving it closer to the piano. She lifted up the guard then began to play the scales which then transformed into the “Do Re Mi” song from “The Sound of Music.”

“That was beautiful. Riley was right about you,” Justin gushed.

“Thank you,” Faith blushed. “He told me he was restoring a spinet. I’ve never played one before. He told me about the possibility of giving instruction. I was hoping I’d get the chance but I’m sure you’d like to interview other instructors before you decide."

“Maybe, but I’m not the one going to take lessons. My daughter will be the deciding factor,” Justin said with authority.

“Of course. It’ll be my pleasure to meet her.”

“Does your daughter accompany you when you give lessons?” Justin asked. Hope was looking a bit bored.

“Most times. I only have a small keyboard instrument since we travel a lot. So I go to my students’ homes instead of them coming to me.”

“Makes sense. Hope, do you know Bree?”

“No, not really. I mean everyone knows about Briana, but I’m a grade ahead so we don’t hang out.”

There was something about Hope’s tone that Justin couldn’t get, but before he could question the girl, he heard the gate alarm beep and the distinctive sound of the Jeep driving up the lane. Bree and Patrick burst through the door, Brian sauntered in close behind.

“Honey, I’m hooome!” he called out.

“Hey,” Justin replied. “We have company.”

“I can see that,” Brian said noting the attractive woman standing by the piano and the little girl who was being a bit standoffish. “Brian Kinney,” Brian said taking only a few long strides to get to where Faith was standing; he held out his hand.

“Faith Goodman and this is my daughter Hope. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” Faith replied her fluttering eyelids on overdrive.

“The pleasure will be all mine if you’re half the instructor Riley seems to think you are. Briana has been patiently waiting for this old girl to be restored so that she can begin her lessons.”

“We can begin today if Briana would like,” Faith offered. Brian nodded appreciatively.

“Bree, would like your first lesson today?”

“Oh yes, Dada,” Bree responded. Hope snorted softy to herself. “But can we have a snack first?” Bree smiled brightly.

“Sure, Squirt, never play the piano on an empty stomach.” Brian invited Faith and Hope to join them in the kitchen for the after camp snacks. Justin already had bowls of fresh fruit on the table as well as small wedges of some of Emmett’s muffins. The milk and juice was on the table as well.

“This is some spread,” Faith blurted out.

“We find that a healthy snack will hold the kids until dinner,” Justin explained as he placed a plate in front of Hope. Reluctantly she put a couple of pieces of orange on her plate mumbling something about wanting cookies instead.

“Daddy and me are going to bake cookies this weekend. You can help if it’s all right with my daddies and your mommy,” Bree said brightly in all innocence.

Before Brian could correct Bree’s grammar, Hope spoke up. “You bake with your daddy?” Hope asked incredulously.

“Sure, Daddy and me...” Brian ‘a-hemed’ loudly. “Daddy and I bake all the time. Don’t you bake with your mommy and daddy?”

“My daddy’s in the army; he doesn’t bake. My mommy’s too busy to bake cookies," Hope said with some disdain.

“My daddy can teach your mommy,” Bree graciously offered her daddy’s services.

“Bree, maybe we’ll let Mrs. Faith decide for herself if she’d like a baking lesson and she doesn’t have to decide right now. Finish your snack then get washed up so you can take your first lesson. Remember, no touching the keys with sticky hands,” Justin said reasonably.

“I ‘member, Daddy,” Bree said on the run to her room.

“Please excuse her, she’s a little excited,” Justin apologized.

“No need to apologize, an enthusiastic student often makes the best student,” Faith said.

“My sentiments exactly,” Brian agreed in a low purr. He was clearly remembering the times he ‘taught’ Justin when he and Justin first met. The then young student was his most enthusiastic pupil.

“Don’t you have a conference call to make or something,” Justin said as he blushed, giving Brian a swat.

“Yes, I do, Sunshine. I will leave you lovely ladies to your own devices. Come along, Patrick, we men-folk need to mosey along,” Brian said as he draped his arm across his nephew’s shoulders to lead him out of the kitchen.

Patrick was actually going out back to the batting cage his dads had set up for him in the Spring. Patrick was serious about his baseball practice. He waved to his uncle as Brian ascended the spiral staircase to his attic office. Once Brian was situated at his desk he quickly phoned Ted.

“Schmidt!” Brian growled when Ted answered.

“Yes, boss.”

“I need you to do a background check for me.”

“Right away, boss. Whom do you want me to check on? A new client?”

“No, the new piano teacher, one Faith Goodman. She has a daughter named Hope.”

“Don’t tell me, her mother’s name is Charity?”

“No, that’s the cat. Ted, this woman comes highly recommended by Riley and so far he hasn’t led us astray. Maybe this Faith person is just nervous. Her daughter has a bit of an attitude problem but I can handle that. I just want to make sure everything is...”

“No need to explain, Brian. I’d want to vet out anyone who’s going to be spending time with my daughter, that is if I had a daughter,” Ted began to ramble on making Brian smirk.

“Schmidt!”

“Yes, boss.”

“Discretely.”

“Discretion is my middle name,” Ted vowed.

Brian snorted. “ASAP, Ted. I don’t want Bree to become too attached to her before you find out something not so good.”

“Like yesterday, Brian.”

“Thanks, Ted.”

“Bri, anything for you and the princess, you only have to ask,” Teddy said softly then gave a quick goodbye before things got too mushy or loud.

Brian sat back staring at the phone for a moment. The sounds of a more polished version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star broke through Brian's reverie. He shook his head clear then went back downstairs to listen to his daughter’s impromptu concert.



*****



“Guuusss, will you play with me,” Bree whined next to Gus’ ear. He and Ray were still in bed wrapped around each other peacefully sleeping until Bree interrupted. Gus attempted to swat at the annoying buzzing noise.

“Pleazzzz, Gus.”

“Come on, Bree, it’s Sunday and I can sleep late.”

“But the sun’s out.” It had rained the day before putting a damper on any outdoor activities.

“What time is it?” Ray grumbled from under a pillow.

“Big hand’s on the one, the little hand’s on the seven,” Bree stated, knowing full well the time.

“It’s fucking seven in the morning!” Gus sat up with a start. “Bree!” he growled, ready to unleash a tirade which thankfully was cut off by his father entering the room.

“No need to yell at your sister especially when she comes bearing gifts. And you boys need to air out this room. Smells like a backroom in here.”

“Dada, what’s...”

“Ach,” Brian quickly cut off Bree’s question with a raised finger and arched brow. Bree shut her mouth.

“What gift?” Gus asked trying to understand why his room had all of a sudden become Grand Central Station. Justin had walked in and Gus could see John, Bobby and Patrick standing in the doorway.

“Go ahead, Squirt,” Brian urged Bree with a pat to her back. Bree held up the other half of the Fur Harry in her little palm. In her other hand was a set of keys.

“Pop, is that...?” Gus sputtered.

“Yes, Sonny Boy, it is,” Brian said with a smug grin.

“YEE HAW!” Gus shouted as he jumped out of bed. Grabbing Ray’s hand, Gus sprinted out of his room scattering his family in his wake. The boys never slept naked in the cottage, both were wearing sleep pants. Laughing, the family followed the boys out the front door.

In the lane clad in a big red car bow was a black Jeep reminiscent of the Jeep Brian had when he and Justin first met.

“Is it really mine?”

“All yours, Sonny Boy, just promise me you’ll be a responsible driver.”

“I will Pop, I promise,” Gus said as he gave his father a hug then ran to the Jeep to give it a test drive up and down the lane.

“Do you think we should tell them to get dressed first?” Justin asked with amusement as he took Brian’s hand to walk back inside.

“Nah, he’ll come in when his foot hurts. Bare feet on the clutch peddle hurt after a while,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Since we’re all up, how about you fix one on your famous breakfasts?” John asked.

“Might as well,” Brian quipped. Breakfast was just about on the table when the boys came back inside.

“Pop, we’re gonna get dressed then take the Jeep for a longer drive,” Gus said as he sprinted past the kitchen.

“Breakfast!” Brian announced. Gus and Ray stopped dead in their tracks then sat at the table. The ride could wait. Brian smiled approvingly as he passed around a platter of eggs.



*****



“It’s blue,” Jamie whispered as she stared at the pregnancy test stick.

“Very blue,” Leda confirmed as she gave her lover a kiss. The women hugged then kissed again as they both cried happy tears.



*****



“Good morning,” Melanie said coolly as Lindsay came into their kitchen. It was almost a month since JR went to stay with Michael. There was still no indication that she ever wanted to come back.

“Morning,” Lindsay replied as she set the kettle on the stove to make some tea. “Mel...”

“Lindsay, an old school friend contacted me the other day. She’s a partner in a firm that specializes in LGBT issues. She told me that her partner is retiring and is hoping Lorna would take over the business. She fully intends to, but she'll need a partner. They have a solid client base.”

“Are you seriously considering it?”

“Yes.”

“Where’s the firm?”

“Portland,” Mel answered. “Oregon,” she added after a moment.

Lindsay stared at her for a minute. The whistling kettle required her attention. “I assume you’re going out there to talk things over,” Lindsay stated matter-of-factly as she poured the boiled water over the tea bag that was in her favorite mug.

“Yes,” came the curt response.

“When?”

“Tomorrow.”

TBC

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1316