Domestic Bliss by Thyme
Summary:

 

Brian and Justin continue their "Committed" relationship in a new home.


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: My Only Sunshine Series
Chapters: 36 Completed: Yes Word count: 129272 Read: 150701 Published: Jul 30, 2018 Updated: Jul 30, 2018

1. Chapter 1 - Moving I by Thyme

2. Chapter 2 - Moving II by Thyme

3. Chapter 3 - Moving III by Thyme

4. Chapter 4 - Housewarming by Thyme

5. Chapter 5 - Graduation Approaches by Thyme

6. Chapter 6 - Graduation by Thyme

7. Chapter 7 - I Love You by Thyme

8. Chapter 8 - Work and Play by Thyme

9. Chapter 9 - Work and Play and Death by Thyme

10. Chapter 10 - Work and Play and Drinking by Thyme

11. Chapter 11 - Work and Play and Repentance by Thyme

12. Chapter 12 - Power Play by Thyme

13. Chapter 13 - Sex, Lies, and ... by Thyme

14. Chapter 14 - Fact and Fantasy by Thyme

15. Chapter 15 - Lists by Thyme

16. Chapter 16 - The Wrath of Kinney by Thyme

17. Chapter 17 - Fresh Starts by Thyme

18. Chapter 18 - New and Old by Thyme

19. Chapter 19 - A Flash From the Past by Thyme

20. Chapter 20 - Revisiting Old Demons by Thyme

21. Chapter 21 - Habitat by Thyme

22. Chapter 22 - Goals and Ghosts by Thyme

23. Chapter 23 - Mutual Consent by Thyme

24. Chapter 24 - Renovations by Thyme

25. Chapter 25 - Disruptions by Thyme

26. Chapter 26 - Revelations by Thyme

27. Chapter 27 - On Being Young and Gay by Thyme

28. Chapter 28 - Work Crew by Thyme

29. Chapter 29 - Work Force by Thyme

30. Chapter 30 - Unraveling by Thyme

31. Chapter 31 - The Finished Product by Thyme

32. Chapter 32 - Celebration by Thyme

33. Chapter 33 - Almost Too Good by Thyme

34. Chapter 34 - Shit Fuck by Thyme

35. Chapter 35 - Sick by Thyme

36. Chapter 36 - Still Sick by Thyme

Chapter 1 - Moving I by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Moving I

Brian pulled the Corvette into the driveway of the house. He cut the engine and just sat there looking at it. Justin sat in the passenger seat and didn't move either.

"It's ours," Brian said finally.

"I can hardly believe it," Justin said. "It all happened so fast."

"Yeah," Brian agreed.

They had discussed the house for a whole day after they had seen it with Jennifer. Both of them knew that they loved it, but they also knew it was a big commitment. It scared them, especially since it was considerably over the amount Brian had initially felt he could manage. However, they both loved the house, and so they had decided to put in an offer somewhat below the asking price.

When they had told Jennifer, she had advised them to hold off until they had the house inspected. It had been sitting empty for a few months and there might be some problems. She recommended an inspector who presented them with a report saying that the house was structurally sound, but he had been unable to get the furnace to work. Upon further inspection it looked like the furnace should be replaced as well as the air conditioning unit. Brian had groaned when he heard that, but Jennifer had said that it actually added to their bargaining position. They should drop their offer even more, but then they needed to be prepared to spend the reduced amount for a new heating/air conditioning unit.

So they had come up with an offer, and lo and behold, the sellers had accepted it without even a counter offer. Obviously they wanted to get rid of the burden of keeping the house up. As a result, here they sat in front of their house, even though they didn't actually get possession of it for another week.

Jennifer had already managed to get them an offer on the loft. It was pretty good but they were holding out for almost the full asking price. Jennifer had assured them that they would get it, so they had to wait a little longer.

"I wish we could go in," Justin said, looking longingly at the front door.

"We could call your mom," Brian suggested.

"Yeah, but she'd have to stay with us. I want to be in there, our home, just the two of us."

"A few days and that will be the case," Brian said feeling all warm inside when Justin called it 'our home'. Jesus, maybe buying a house did turn you lesbianic.

"What are we going to do about furniture?" Justin asked.

"There's not much from the loft to bring … my desk, your desk, the table and chairs, the chaise."

"Definitely the chaise," Justin said with a soft smile. He was remembering ice cream kisses. The look on Brian's face told him that he was too.

"Yeah."

"Are you seriously not going to bring the bed?"

"Jennifer is negotiating it as part of the deal along with the appliances. It's practically built in and is so inherent to the look of the loft. It stays there," Brian said firmly.

"I don't care about the look of the loft," Justin replied. "I just can't believe that you want to give it up."

"Would you be okay with bringing it here?" Brian asked studying Justin's face. There was a flicker of concern, almost too fast to notice, but exactly what Brian had been looking for.

"I … sure," Justin said quickly feeling a wrench in his gut. He wished that he had never brought up the subject of the fucking bed.

"You are such a fucking poor liar," Brian said with a grin. "You want a new bed as much as I do."

Justin blushed. He could feel the color rise in his cheeks. "Yeah, I do," he said sheepishly.

"Then let's go buy one," Brian said starting the car.

"Really?"

"You bet."

Justin could hardly contain the size of his smile. This was going to be so good. Brian backed the Corvette out of the driveway and they headed to a local furniture store. Justin's mind was racing as they drove along. He wondered what kind of a bed Brian had in mind. They were going to find the most divine bed, he just knew it. Or at least they would find a bed that they both liked. They could agree on one, he was sure. Or could they? Maybe they each had diametrically opposed ideas of what the bed should be. What if they hated whatever the other one chose? What if they couldn't agree at all? What if their tastes were totally opposite? Justin's face had lost its smile to be replaced with worry wrinkles. He heaved a sigh and braced himself as they pulled into the parking lot of the furniture store.

Brian cut the engine and threw a look in Justin's direction. He could see the tension written all over the young man's face. He frowned. "We're buying a bed, not going to the fucking electric chair," Brian said with a smirk. He wondered what the hell was the matter with Justin.

"We don't have to get it today, do we?" Justin asked.

"Of course not. We're just looking until we find something that we both like."

"What if … what if we never find anything that we both like?" Justin asked deciding to voice his worries.

"You think we're that incompatible?" Brian asked staring into the worried blue eyes.

"I … I don't know. I hope not, but we've never done anything like this before. It was your loft, your furniture, your taste."

"Are you saying you don't like my fucking taste?" Brian asked getting a little testy about the direction this was heading.

"Your loft was beautiful, Brian. Don't get me wrong. I loved it, but it was definitely you … not me."

"And the house will be us," Brian stated confidently.

Justin relaxed a bit with that statement and even tried a little smile. "I want it to be us," he said softly. "But I'm worried that we may have very different ideas about what 'us' should be."

"Haven't we always?" Brian asked with a smirk.

Justin knew he was talking about their relationship, not about furniture, and he smiled more genuinely. "Yeah, I guess we have."

"And we're still together and we chose a house together, an awesome house, I might add. So what's your problem?" Brian stared at Justin his tongue stuck in the side of his cheek.

Justin chuckled a bit and then smiled one of his best. He said softly, "Suddenly there's no problem at all." He leaned over and kissed Brian on the cheek. "Let's go buy our bed."

Two hours later they returned to the loft. They were both grumpy and tired and all patience with each other had been lost.

"I don't know what was wrong with that last bed," Justin said. "It was quite regal."

"Yeah, if you were fucking Henry the Eighth!"

"Have you been fucking him too?" Justin shot back.

Brian groaned. This was going south in a hurry. "Justin…"

"Don't Justin me! That was a great bed. It was huge and four posters are very fashionable."

"Especially with that fucking canopy on top! We don't live in the fucking Middle Ages. We do have central heat, so why do we need fucking drapery hanging down the sides?"

"You'd never know there was central heat living here," Justin said. The loft was always cold with its high ceilings. "And the drapes were elegant."

Brian snorted. "Dust collectors. Made the fucking thing look like it belonged in a goddam doll house."

"Well, better we should live in a doll house than some sterile museum out of Architectural Digest!"

"Sterile! Are you calling the loft sterile?" Brian couldn't believe his ears.

"If the description fits…"

"Christ, Justin, I thought you at least understood style."

"Well, fuck you, Kinney! I thought you had good taste, but now I know your taste is all in those fucking bare feet of yours."

Brian glared in amazement at his partner. What the fuck were they fighting about? So they couldn't find the right bed today. There were plenty more stores and the internet and catalogues. He grimaced. How did this degenerate into personal attacks?

"Justin, what the fuck are we doing?"

Justin stared blankly at Brian. "We're fighting."

"But what for?"

"Because … because we couldn't find a bed that we both liked."

"So why is that something we need to fight about? There's plenty more places to find the right bed," Brian said reasonably.

"I guess…" Justin said slowly. "But it's also the first big thing that we have bought together, and look at what's happened. We're fighting."

"It's a fucking bed! It shouldn't cause us to fight."

"But it did. Do you think it's an omen of what's to come?"

"Christ, I hope not!"

Justin looked at the floor not knowing what to say. He was kind of scared. He and Brian hardly ever fought, and never like they had just been doing. What were they going to do?

"Do you want something to eat?" Justin asked deciding that maybe it was best if they changed the subject altogether. And, they had missed lunch. Justin heard his stomach rumble ominously at the mention of food.

"Obviously you do," Brian said with a chuckle having heard the rumblings. He moved to the fridge and pulled out a loaf of bread and the jar of peanut butter. "Will this do?" Brian asked.

"Sure," Justin agreed. He would have liked something more but peanut butter would do.

"We can go to the diner or order something in, if you would prefer," Brian said noting the look on Justin's face.

"A sandwich is fine," Justin said pulling out some bread and slathering it with peanut butter. He frowned. "Why couldn't we do that with the bed?" he asked.

"Do what?"

"Make a compromise. I really wanted something more to eat, but it doesn't really matter that much. This will tide me over and I can have a big dinner. Why couldn't we do something like that with the bed?"

"A bed is going to last a lot longer than a sandwich … and it won't go moldy," Brian added.

"But relationships can go moldy," Justin said reliving the fight about the bed.

"Not if you keep them fresh," Brian offered.

Justin snorted. "Mr. Expert-on-Relationships!"

"Well, at least I'm trying," Brian scowled.

"Are you implying that I'm not?" Justin demanded. He slammed the pieces of bread together and almost threw one of them at Brian.

Brian reached in the fridge for a beer wanting something stronger. He relented a little when he asked, "Want one?"

Justin nodded and they took their food to the table. They sat across from each other munching on their sandwich and eyeing each other speculatively.

Brian swallowed the lump of food in his mouth. It was all he could do to get it down, and he had a sneaking suspicion that it could come back up. All this drama was getting to him. The day had started out so well, going to look at their new house. He wasn't sure why everything had turned bad, but it all stemmed from the bed controversy.

Justin chewed on his sandwich. He couldn't remember when peanut butter had become so tasteless. He could see Brian giving him furtive glances, probably wondering what the hell was going on. He wished he could figure out what to do. Then it hit him.

"Brian," he said, "do you think we could just stay here?"

"Stay here?" Brian bellowed his eyes getting very large and angry. "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I … I was just wondering if it was too late to cancel the deal on the house."

"Of course, it fucking is! We get possession in a few days. We've signed all the papers."

"Oh," was all Justin could say.

"Oh! Oh? What do you mean … oh? What's wrong? I thought you loved that fucking house."

"I do."

"Then why the fuck do you want to cancel the deal and stay here?"

Justin took a deep breath and plunged ahead. "It just seems that we've been fighting and worried and not getting along … ever since we found that house."

Brian shook his head looking baffled. "This was supposed to be the next step in our fucking relationship … or do we even have a relationship anymore?" Each time he said relationship he spat it out with as much disdain as he could. Brian stood up abruptly knocking his chair over backwards. "Fuck, I hate that word, and this just proves why!"

He stomped up the steps and left Justin sitting staring after him. Inside of a minute he reappeared, grabbed his keys from the counter and yanked back the loft door.

"Don't," Justin said loud enough to be sure Brian would hear him.

"What did you say?" Brian bellowed. "Are you ordering me around now?"

"I'm not ordering. I'm asking. In fact, I'm begging. Please, Brian, don't walk out on me. We've come too far to go back to this. We have to work this out."

Brian hesitated in the doorway and Justin held his breath. He wouldn't blame Brian if he walked out, but he also knew that it could very well mean that everything was over between them if he did. They had reached a level of trust that couldn't, shouldn't, wouldn't be broken. Justin willed Brian to come back and talk to him.

Suddenly the loft door rumbled along its track and Brian was still standing inside the loft when it slammed closed. Justin let out his breath. That was the first good sign since they had gone looking for a fucking bed. Justin looked up to see Brian standing defiantly in front of him.

"I'm here," Brian said. "I didn't leave. I didn't … run. Are you going to tell me what the fuck this is all about?"

"I wish I knew," Justin said shaking his head. "It started at the new house when you said we could buy a new bed. I began wondering if we could find something that we both would like. I … I began to doubt that we could."

"Does that explain that weird look on your face when I pulled into the lot at the furniture store?"

Justin nodded. "I was having doubts about the bed, about being able to find one that we'd both like, and then you made some comment about our relationship, and I could apply the same worries to that. And it all went downhill from there. And then we couldn't find a bed and we were getting grouchy with each other … and it was like my worst fears were all coming true." Justin took a deep breath feeling the sting of tears behind his eyes.

"So let me get this straight," Brian said. "You think that because we didn't find a bed on our first try that our fucking relationship is doomed?"

"Something like that," Justin whispered.

"Do you have so little faith … in us?"

"I don't know what I think. I'm just worried."

"Justin, after all we've been through, I don't see how this step can be worse than other things that have happened. In fact, it should be so much better. Stop worrying."

"I wish I could," Justin said forlornly. "It's like … like a continuation of what worried me about the rings."

"It is?"

"It means that … that there's no going back, and if we fail…"

"Do you want to go back?" Justin shook his head. "Do you think we're going to fail?"

Justin looked up into Brian's eyes. He wanted to say no, but he knew that wasn't true. Some part of him feared that they would. Their relationship had always been volatile. How many times had Brian kicked him out? And then Justin had walked out with his eyes wide open, stupid fuck that he had been. "I don't want us to fail," Justin said softly.

"Neither do I," Brian replied staring into the blue eyes. "Let's go look on the internet and see if we can find a bed that we both like. If we do, will that prove to you that we at least have a flying fuck of a chance to make this thing work?"

Justin chuckled. "That was so romantic, Brian. How could I refuse an invitation like that?"

Brian took Justin's hand and pulled him up. He dragged his twink over to the computer and pulled him down onto his lap as they waited for the computer to boot up.

"I'm sorry, Brian. I just got scared. I don't like fighting."

"Neither do I. I didn't mean to get testy, but you sounded like you had given up."

"I know. It was a drama queen moment."

Brian snorted. "That's for sure. Okay, let's see what we can find," he said starting to scroll through possible sites. They looked at page after page of beds, eliminating most of them immediately. Justin fidgeted wondering if this was as pointless as the stores they had been to earlier in the day.

All of a sudden they found beds by Roberto Galima. Justin sucked in a breath and said, "Oh!"

"See something you like?" Brian asked studying Justin's face. He could live with any bed on that internet page. He hoped Justin could too.

"I love these," Justin said.

"They even have a four poster," Brian said sardonically.

"I know, but they're all … classic."

"Yes, they are. Which one do you like best?" Brian asked hoping as he held his breath that Justin would choose the one he liked.

Justin studied the screen. "That one … definitely," Justin said pointing to the very one Brian had been studying. He almost knew that would be Justin's favorite.

Brian grinned. "Brushed steel frame with high canopy and latticework headboard and footboard," Brian read from the ad. "I like the clean simple lines. It's sleek and yet comfortable looking."

Justin could picture them having sex and then leaning back against the headboard with lots of pillows, kissing and maybe reading in bed together. "That's definitely the one," Justin said with a dreamy look on his face.

"I agree, Sunshine," Brian said giving Justin a kiss on the cheek. "Um … we don't have to have drapery hanging from the canopy, do we?"

"It's the four poster canopy bed I've always wanted, but it's not fussy like you want. I like it plain without any decoration or drapery." Justin threw his arms around Brian's neck and hugged him tight. He kissed the red lips rubbing his own luxuriously over Brian's. "We found it!" he crowed.

"And you thought it couldn't be done," Brian smirked proud of them both for getting over this hurdle. His eyes scanned the screen looking for how to order the bed or if there was a local outlet. "Shit!" he said.

"What?" Justin asked not aware of what Brian had been doing.

"There's no local outlet for these beds and it takes four to six weeks for delivery."

"Oh, shit. We need a bed for when we move in."

"We could always fuck on the floor, I guess," Brian said.

"I don't think so, although it wouldn't be the first time," Justin chuckled. "We need something to sleep on as well as fuck on."

"Hmm," Brian said.

"What are you thinking about?"

"I'm thinking that we could get a new mattress. We'll need one for the new bed when it arrives. In the meantime we could sleep on it on the floor."

"That would work," Justin agreed with a smile.

"We might decide we don't need a bed at all," Brian smirked.

"Briaaan," Justin warned him. Then something on the screen caught his attention. "Look," he said pointing, "they have matching pieces to go with the bed."

Brian groaned. "This is going to cost me a fucking fortune. Did you see the price of that bed?"

"No," Justin admitted, "I was too excited that we had found something we both like. Is it too much money?"

"No, Sunshine, we can manage it. I'll just get Ted to free up some money."

"Thanks," Justin said kissing Brian's cheek. "I really love that bed."

"I know, so let's get the matching pieces. We do need furniture … and I like quality."

Justin snorted. "You like the designer name on it."

"We both love the look of it," Brian said ignoring Justin's jibe because he was absolutely right.

"True," Justin admitted. "Does Ted know about the house?"

"Yeah, I had to run it all by him to make sure I could swing it. But he's sworn to secrecy."

"Why?"

"Because I want a few weeks to get the house put together and … for it to be just you and me there alone."

"I like the sound of that," Justin said hugging him.

"Besides, we'll have to christen each room, and that'll take at least a day or two."

Justin giggled and nuzzled Brian's neck. "We should make use of the old bed while we still have it."

"We're not moving for a few days," Brian said his hand reaching for Justin's cock. He squeezed through the jeans causing a little gasp from his partner.

"Wouldn't want to miss an opportunity," Justin cooed.

"Enough shopping for today. Shall we give the old bed a good workout?"

"As long as we don't break it," Justin giggled. "It's practically sold."

"If it's still in one piece at this point, I don't think there's much danger of it collapsing now."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Justin asked standing and pulling Brian up into a kiss.

They made their way to the bedroom where clothes quickly disappeared and the kisses were hot and heavy. Justin pushed Brian onto the bed deciding to be the aggressor.

"I love you, you know," he said softly as he rubbed his length against Brian.

"I know. I wish…" Brian hesitated to say more.

"Wish what?" Justin asked.

Brian sighed. "Justin, are you sure you want to do this?"

"Oh, I want to fuck you! Is there ever any doubt?"

"That's not what I meant."

Justin frowned. "What did you mean?" he asked warily.

"Are you sure you want to stay with me? Do you want to move into the new house? Do you want to … continue?" Brian heaved a huge sigh. He knew he sounded like a fucking lesbian but he couldn't help himself.

"Now it sounds like you're having second thoughts. I want what we have … and, I want more. I want it all."

"But we're going to have to be adults. We'll have a house and you'll get a job and we'll be … shudder … a couple." Brian tried to lighten the mood.

"Fuck you, Kinney! We are a couple!"

"No!" Brian gasped in mock surprise.

"You had me going there for a minute, you asshole."

"I always get you going," Brian whispered against Justin's ear as he flipped them over.

"Always," Justin gasped as he felt Brian's fingers exploring and opening him up.

They wrestled around on the bed for a bit with lots of kissing and nipping and caresses. When they were both panting Brian lifted Justin's legs onto his shoulders and drove home. They both gasped at the sensation.

Justin clasped his legs behind Brian's neck and forced the man's head lower so he could savage the ripe, red lips. When he broke the kiss, he whispered, "Do you think it will be this good in our new bed?"

"Better!" Brian replied as he began thrusting in earnest.

Pants and gasps and an occasional whimper were the only sounds for the next while. Brian rode his young lover hard and Justin loved every minute of it. When they came, close to each other, they rode the waves of pleasure as long as they could. Finally Brian pulled out and flopped down beside Justin.

"That was awesome," Justin said trying to steady his breathing.

"Not bad," Brian grinned, turning to look at Justin.

"I can hardly wait to fuck you in the new house," Justin said curling up against Brian.

"I might let you," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

"You damn well better," Justin stated. "I'll be paying my own way when I get a decent job."

"Do you mean to tell me that all this time you've only been letting me fuck you because I was paying the way?"

"Yes, what did you think, my sugar daddy?"

"Don't call me that, Brian protested.

"I'm really a top, you know," Justin said trying to contain his giggle.

"You do a pretty damn good imitation of a bottom, if you ask me," Brian replied with a smirk.

"Well all that's about to change, bottom boy!"

"Who are you calling a bottom boy?" Brian demanded.

"Well, the bottom part is correct anyway."

"Take that back, brat!" Brian demanded rolling over and pinning Justin beneath him.

"Never!" Justin said defiantly. "When I contribute half to our finances, I expect to only bottom half the time."

"Jesus Christ, Justin, are you serious?" Brian asked.

"Of course, I am," Justin stated trying to keep a straight face. Brian so deserved this for all the times he had taken Justin for granted.

"I'm … not … sure … I can do that," Brian said. "I really am a top."

Justin saw the look of almost terror on Brian's face. The man had been a top his whole life. It defined who he was. Justin realized that maybe he had gone a bit too far.

"I was only kidding, Brian," Justin said softly. "I love bottoming for you. You know that."

"Asshole!" Brian said harshly but then he leaned in and kissed Justin softly. "I don't mind bottoming for you sometimes."

"In fact you love it … sometimes."

Brian grinned at him. "Yeah."

"I don't expect you to do it all the time, but I can be the top more often, can't I?" Justin asked.

"I think we can work something out. And when you start earning more than me, you can top all the time, if you still want this sorry, wrinkled old ass," Brian said only half joking.

"I'll always want your sorry old ass, like right now."

"Now?" Brian asked.

"Now!"

"You think this old bed is up for one more?"

"I know that I am," Justin said glancing down to where his hard cock was trapped between them.

"We're going to be fine in the new house, aren't we?" Brian asked softly as he held Justin's face between his hands, still stretched out on top of this lovely man.

"We're going to be great in the new house," Justin declared. "We do have one big hurdle to overcome though."

"What's that?" Brian wanted to know his brow knit into a frown.

"We still have to furnish the living room." Brian groaned as Justin continued. "And the dining room … and Gus' room … and the office … and the spare bedroom."

"Fuck!" Brian griped.

"I intend to right now," Justin said with a giggle. "We can worry about furniture later. I know we can do it, now that we've found our bed."

"The only important piece of furniture," Brian said with a smirk.

"So are you ready, my little bottom boy?"

Brian grimaced. "I'm all yours, O Mighty Top!" And he meant that in every sense of the word.

Chapter 2 - Moving II by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Moving II

Over the next couple of weeks Brian and Justin went shopping for other pieces of furniture. They bought a mattress and box spring for the new bed that wouldn't arrive for another month. They also managed to find some child's furniture for Gus' room. They found a dining suite that they both loved, but couldn't find sofas for the family room or living room. Their tastes didn't seem to coincide in this area at all.

The offer on the loft came up to their asking price along with the agreement to leave almost all the furnishings there. They got the keys to the new house a couple of weeks after that fateful Saturday when they had found their bed. They had actually taken possession earlier, but had not wanted to go to the house until the furnace was replaced. Jennifer had taken care of that for them. They also wanted to wait until their mattress would arrive so that they could sleep there once they moved in. They actually had very little, other than clothes and a few pieces of furniture, to move from the loft.

The Saturday morning of their actual move arrived bright and sunny, a beautiful spring day. Brian awoke and rolled onto his side to look at Justin. Blue eyes stared back at him.

"How long have you been awake?"

"I'm not sure I ever slept," Justin said as he stretched.

"Oh yes, you did," Brian said.

"How do you know?"

"The last time I fucked you, you were almost asleep before I pulled out," Brian smirked. "And here I thought youth was equated with stamina," Brian added sticking his tongue in his cheek.

Justin stared at Brian. "You have no idea how hard it is to be a good bottom, do you?" Brian merely stared back and sucked his lips into his mouth. "It takes hard work and dedication … and incredible flexibility … and monumental creativity. I work so hard, and what thanks do I ever get. You tops just don't underst…" His words were cut off by Brian's mouth capturing his lips and almost sucking him into the orifice.

"You are so full of bullshit," Brian chuckled when he finally released his young lover. They were both hard as a result of the kiss.

"What do you mean? I just got us hard, didn't I?" Justin asked batting his eyelashes.

"So you're responsible for this?" Brian asking giving Justin's cock a tug. "What about my kiss?"

"It takes two to make a kiss," Justin said smugly. "And I was the creative bottom that caused that kiss."

Brian snorted and Justin giggled. He liked getting the better of the older man.

"Twat," Brian said but his hands were already roaming the pliant body beneath him. "I'm going to fuck that smug look right off your face."

"Promises, promises," Justin said grinning from ear to ear.

"You think I can't do it?"

"Prove it," Justin dared him. He knew this would be their last fuck in the old bed and he wanted to make it a good one.

Brian pinned Justin's hands above his head, using one of his hands. The other hand tweaked Justin's nipple causing him to gasp. Justin could feel his cock harden even more. He squirmed beneath Brian trying to rub his dick against Brian's. Brian moaned into Justin's mouth as his kiss threatened to swallow Justin whole.

"Is this the best you can do?" Justin challenged him as he continued to squirm.

"I've hardly started," Brian said and the look on his face gave Justin a moment's pause. Maybe he had gone too far.

Brian released Justin's hands and pulled the blond's legs up, pushing them against Justin's chest. Brian's head ducked between them and Justin felt Brian sucking on his balls. Justin sucked in a breath willing his cock not to explode. He whimpered Brian's name and the man looked up at him.

"Something wrong, Sunshine?" Brian asked with his best look of innocence.

All Justin could do was groan. He knew there was no sense in pleading. Brian was going to do what Brian was going to do. He might as well just enjoy the ride. He closed his eyes and willed his orgasm to back off. Brian looked up and saw the closed eyes.

"Look at me, Justin," Brian said. Justin's eyes opened and he stared into the hazel ones full of lust and determination. "I'm going to fuck you into next week and you're going to enjoy it." With that Brian's tongue followed the path along his perineum and then plunged into Justin's pucker.

The boy cried out, "Jesus, Brian!"

"Need a little lube?" Brian asked grinning at Justin. Justin nodded.

Brian squirted the cold lube on Justin's pucker and proceeded to open him up with his fingers. Justin squirmed and moaned until he felt the cold lube shoot up his ass. He blinked in bewilderment at Brian who ignored him, grabbed his cock and stuck it unceremoniously up Justin's ass. Justin cried out and thrashed around for a minute. Brian took a bit of pity on his very bad boy. He waited till Justin calmed down and started breathing more normally. As soon as that happened, Brian renewed his assault. He plunged in deep and forcefully bending Justin in half and forcing all the air from his lungs. He rammed his lover unmercifully until Justin called out and exploded all over them both.

Justin gasped for needed air as Brian stilled for a moment. He could feel Brian's ramrod cock still hard and unsatisfied up his ass. He knew this was far from over. As soon as he had recovered a bit Brian again drove in. He leaned in and kissed Justin long and luxuriously.

"Still feeling smug, Sunshine?" Brian asked knowing that smug had been left far behind, long before Justin's orgasm. Justin shook his head, looking into Brian's eyes with something like fear. Brian softened as soon as he saw that look. "I didn't hurt you, did I?" Brian asked concern in his voice.

"No," Justin gasped. "It's just a little … overwhelming."

Brian smiled and began his rhythm. He had decided that Justin would get off once more before he allowed himself release. He pounded into the tight channel until they were both covered in sweat and panting for air. Every time Justin reached for his dick, Brian swatted the hand away. He was not going to allow Justin to touch himself. The boy would get off again without any external help, or they would both die trying.

Justin wasn't sure how long Brian plowed into him but he knew every nerve ending in his body was on fire, his cock throbbed and ached, he was wet and slippery with sweat, everything was fuzzy when he tried to focus. He thought he was begging and asking Brian to finish him off, but he couldn't be sure if any intelligible words were actually coming out of his mouth.

Suddenly he heard Brian groan and call, "Now!"

He felt Brian's hot jizz shoot up his channel, deep inside him. He thought he could almost taste it in the back of his throat. Brian thrust hard three times and then Justin was shooting and waves of incredible heat consumed him. He felt Brian fall on top of him and then roll away. He was glad his lover did because he thought any areas that touched between them might have been scorched by the heat they had created.

The room spun around disconcertingly and Justin kept his eyes tightly closed until it slowed down. When he tried to open them, he saw Brian's out of focus face staring at him.

"You all right?" Brian gasped trying to get his breathing under control. Justin tried to answer but his voice wouldn't seem to work as he sucked in some much needed air. Instead he nodded. "All smugness gone?" Brian asked. Justin nodded again. Brian fell back exhausted and was content to just lie there and breathe.

"That was so intense," Justin whispered after a bit.

"Yeah."

"What made you do it?"

"I'm always up for a dare."

"Don't you mean a taunt?" Justin asked giggling a little now that he could actually breathe normally.

"Whatever!" Brian replied.

"Remind me to be careful about what I taunt you with."

"Didn't you like it?" Brian asked looking back at Justin.

"Oh, I liked it … loved it. But you could have killed us both."

"I'm not ready to die yet," Brian declared.

"Shit, Brian, look at the time," Justin said seeing the clock behind Brian's head. "The movers will be here in twenty minutes."

"Damn," Brian responded, "and I wanted to fuck you once more in the shower."

"After what you just did, I'm not sure I'll be ready to fuck you again today."

Brian smirked. "Where's the consummate bottom with all the stamina and creativity?"

"I caused what just happened to happen," Justin declared before he leaped to his feet and ran for the bathroom before Brian could catch him. He heard the man chuckling as he joined him in the shower and he knew that everything was all right.

They only had time to wash before the movers got there. They had everything packed up and ready except for the stuff the movers would do for them. They stripped the bed and stuffed the sheets into one of the boxes to be laundered when they got to their new home. They checked all the drawers and cupboards and the fridge to make sure everything was spotless and ready for the new occupants. Brian went into the bathroom to make one last check there while the movers continued to carry boxes down to the truck. When Brian didn't return for a while Justin went looking for him. He found him standing in the middle of the bathroom staring at the shower.

"What are you doing?" he asked coming up beside his partner.

Brian jumped obviously having been lost in thought. "I … I was … remembering."

"Remembering what?" Justin asked softly. He could see that some kind of sadness had crept into Brian's psyche.

"I was picturing all the times I fucked you in this shower," Brian said softly.

"Could your mind comprehend them all?" Justin asked with a smile, trying to lighten the moment.

"We had some awesome times in that shower," Brian said.

"Yeah, we did," Justin agreed feeling some of the sadness at leaving their first home come over him too. "But we have a new shower where we can create even better memories."

"I guess, but I would have liked to have done it one more time before we left."

Justin understood where Brian was coming from. The loft had always been symbolic of Brian, of his lifestyle, of who he was, and he was giving all that up. The loft had been where they had first come together, where they had first fucked and first made love.

"We still could," Justin whispered. "Give the movers the keys and they can unload at the new house. We'll meet them there as soon as we're through."

"Thanks," Brian said with a gentle smile. "I'll go tell them."

Justin smiled to himself. He found it somehow touching that Brian would be nostalgic about leaving the loft, and obviously he was. He wanted to make it as easy for him as he could.

When Brian returned Justin pulled him into an embrace. "It's going to be okay, Brian. We have a great new place to go to. We have the rest of our lives ahead of us."

"I know."

"Um … Brian?"

"What?"

"Take it easy on me, okay? I'm still a little sore from earlier. You know," Justin smiled crookedly.

"Sorry about that, Sunshine, but you shouldn't taunt me."

"Come on, big guy," Justin cooed starting to strip off his clothes.

"Jesus, Justin, let me make sure the movers have gone."

"Sure," Justin said standing in all his naked glory in front of Brian. The tent in Brian's jeans told him he was having the desired effect.

Brian hurried out. He quickly returned having removed his T-shirt and in the process of unbuttoning his jeans.

"I take it they're gone?" Justin asked.

"No, they'll be right in to join us," Brian said keeping a straight face. Justin threw a worried glance over Brian's shoulder half expecting the movers to appear. "Relax," Brian said swinging Justin around. "They're gone and I locked the door."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Justin asked reaching into the shower to start the water.

About twenty minutes later they stood under the spray of the shower clinging to each other and letting the water wash away the remnants of what they had just done. Justin kissed Brian's neck and leaned his head against Brian's shoulder. Brian had been very gentle and Justin appreciated that.

"I love you, you know," Brian said suddenly.

Justin looked up into the hazel eyes. "I know. I know it every time you look at me or touch me or fuck me. I know."

"That's good," Brian said softly. "I know I don't say it often enough."

"Remember that night you kissed every part of my body and with every kiss you said, "I love you?"

"I remember. That was supposed to last you a lifetime."

"It will, but it's always nice to hear it again … every now and then," Justin said as he reached up to kiss Brian's full lips.

"We should go see what kind of havoc the movers are wreaking on the new house."

Justin knew the sentimental Brian had just been put away. The all business Brian was now in full mode. He released his partner and turned off the water. They stepped out of the shower realizing they had packed the bath mat. Then it dawned on them both that all their towels were in boxes on their way to the new house.

"Shit!" Brian said. "How are we going to get dry?"

"We'll air dry eventually," Justin said with a chuckle.

"I don't want to wait. We need to get to the new place and see what kind of a disaster the movers have created," Brian said looking around for something to dry off with.

"I could lick you dry," Justin volunteered with a chuckle.

"As tempting as that is, I want to get to the house today."

"Wait," Justin said remembering something. He dashed out of the bathroom and returned quickly with a roll of paper towels.

"You've got to be kidding," Brian said staring at the object in Justin's hand.

"It's either this … or the air … or my tongue. Take your pick," Justin said pulling off some towels and beginning to wipe his chest and legs.

Reluctantly Brian followed suit. "This never happened," he said in a threatening voice as he wiped his balls and cock.

Justin giggled. "Another fine mess you and your dick have gotten us into, Ollie."

"Shut up, Stan, and get your fucking clothes on."

"Yes, Ollie," Justin responded with a giggle dropping the used paper towels and pulling on his jeans.

They dressed quickly. Justin gathered up the used paper towels to put in a garbage bag and down the chute. He wiped up the trail of water he had left on the hardwood when he went to get them. They walked to the loft door where they both stopped and turned around to look at the mostly empty loft. It seemed kind of sad with all their things gone except for the sofa and coffee table and the bedroom furniture.

"I'll miss it," Brian said with a tinge of sadness in his voice.

"We lived here for a long time."

"Yeah," Brian agreed. He took a deep breath. "Let's go."

Justin linked his fingers through Brian's as they made their way out of the loft. They locked the door behind them knowing that they were leaving one way of life behind in the loft and moving on to a new one. They quietly began walking down the stairs, each wanting to prolong their time in the old building a little longer.

-----

When they arrived at the new house the moving van was pretty well empty. One of the men was still carrying boxes into the house. They had labeled everything with the room where the box or item should be deposited. They would unpack everything and begin making the house theirs as soon as the movers left.

Not long after the movers departed, the furniture store truck pulled into the driveway. It was bringing their mattress, the dining suite, and Gus' bedroom furniture. With great dispatch the driver and his helper had all the furniture set up in the appropriate rooms, and they even took all the packaging away.

"I can't believe we're actually here," Justin said as he closed the door behind them.

"And alone at last," Brian smirked.

"Behave now. We have work to do."

"We do?"

"Brian, the house is full of unpacked boxes. We … need to unpack them."

"Do we now?" Brian's arms came around his young lover and he pulled him into a long, deep kiss. "We have other work to do first."

"Like what?" Justin asked feeling his cock growing hard as Brian's hands wandered over his body.

"We have to christen each room. We should get started right now. Who knows how long it might take us."

"Briiiaaan, we need to unpack. There'll be lots of time for that later," Justin said. However, he didn't push away from Brian. He waited to see what Brian would do. If the man wanted to fuck, he could do that, in spite of the fact that that his ass had already had two good workouts this morning and it was barely noon.

"Okay," Brian said kissing his forehead, "but I expect my creative bottom to come up with some good ways to fuck without furniture."

"I'll think on it," Justin chuckled. "I'm hungry. How about you?"

"You're always hungry, but I could eat."

"One problem, we don't have any food."

Just then the doorbell rang. They both jumped not expecting anyone to find them there.

"Are any other deliveries supposed to be coming today?" Brian asked. He released Justin and walked to the door. He scrunched down to look through the peephole. "It's your mother," he mouthed.

"So let her in," Justin said hoping he would not regret that statement.

"Mother Taylor!" Brian said opening the door.

"Brian," she replied as she passed him by carrying bags and heading for the kitchen.

"Mom, what are you doing?" Justin asked.

"I figured you boys would be busy all day unpacking so I brought sandwiches for lunch and a casserole for dinner. I went to the grocery store and bought some basics so you can stock the refrigerator and keep body and soul together for a few days."

"I could have done that," Justin said lamely.

"I figured you'd be busy with other things," she said giving each of them a knowing glance.

Justin felt the color rise in his cheeks. This bold and somewhat brassy version of his mother was still a little hard to take at times.

"What do I owe you for the groceries?" Brian asked.

"Not a thing," Jennifer smiled. "With the commissions I made on this place and the loft, it's the least I could do for my two … sons."

Brian heard the hesitation, but her use of that term for both of them pleased him somewhere deep inside. He smiled fondly back at her.

"So, join us for lunch, mom," Justin said. "That is if you brought enough for all of us."

"Here," she said handing him a bag. He began opening the packets of sandwiches. I don't even know where the plates are," he said looking around.

"They're in one of these boxes," Brian said starting to read what they had labeled on each.

"Oh, a paper towel will do," Jennifer replied.

Justin blushed. "Um … we used up all the paper towels at the loft," Justin replied giving Brian a smirk.

The man glared back at him. Jennifer watched the interplay and decided maybe she didn't want to know.

"There's a new roll in the grocery bag. I thought you might need them, and they keep forever."

Justin quickly found them and they sat down at the table and chairs which they had brought from the loft to sit in the breakfast nook of the kitchen. The set looked quite nice there as Jennifer proceeded to tell them.

She had brought some cold bottles of water and beer from which they each made a selection, placing the rest in the fridge.

"Was it hard leaving the loft this morning?" she asked looking at Brian.

"Yeah," Justin replied for both of them. "Has the new guy moved in yet?"

"No, I'm meeting him at the loft at three o'clock. I need your keys," she said to Brian. "He'll probably change the locks anyway, but he'll need yours until he gets that done."

Brian took out his key ring and so did Justin. They removed the loft keys and the front door keys for the building on Tremont, handing them over to Jennifer.

"It's really over … the loft … and everything," Justin said a little shakily. Brian nodded but found he couldn't get his voice to work.

Jennifer took them and matter-of-factly placed them in an envelope she drew out of her purse. She dropped the envelope inside and closed the purse. Brian felt like a chapter of his life had just ended and he sucked in a deep breath. He hoped they were doing the right thing. He was banking everything on Justin.

"I'm surprised nobody's here helping you two move in," Jennifer said.

"Mom, we told you that we weren't telling anyone that we moved for now. We want to be alone and set the place up the way we want it … without anyone interfering."

"You mean me?" she asked arching her eyebrows.

Justin opened his mouth to deny that but Brian beat him to it. "You've been great about everything, Jennifer. Can you keep our secret a little longer? We'll tell people when we're ready."

Jennifer looked into Brian's eyes and nodded. She could refuse him nothing when he looked at her like that. "Of course," she said. "But what if they call the loft or go there?"

"Then the new owner will have a surprise," Brian said with a smirk. "Shit! Mikey has a key and so does Lindsay."

"I better make sure I tell the new owner to change the locks immediately," Jennifer said.

Brian nodded in agreement. "We kept the same phone number, so if they call it, we'll get it here. Usually I get most calls on the cell anyway."

"Why not just tell them?" Jennifer had to ask.

"Mom!" Justin said and she knew she better leave it.

"I'm finished with my sandwich," Jennifer said changing the subject. "Why don't I help you unpack a few boxes before I go to the loft? I could do the fridge."

"Um … mom, take the dishes. They're in these boxes here I think," Justin said quickly. He really didn't want her finding the poppers in the box for the fridge. She was much too inquisitive as it was. Dishes would be much safer for her to deal with.

"Sure, honey."

"Let's get to work, honey," Brian said in that silly falsetto voice he used sometimes. He pinched Justin who responded with a warning look. They all got to work unpacking things and choosing the best cupboard to store the items in.

Jennifer stayed for more than an hour. By the time she left, they had the kitchen all set up and everything stowed in convenient spots.

"I love this kitchen," Justin said as he came back in from seeing his mother to her car. He stood in the middle of the floor and turned around taking it all in.

"You have a kitchen fetish, don't you?" Brian asked watching him from where he was sitting, taking a break at the table.

"Huh?" Justin asked in bewilderment.

"It seems to me that the first thing you said in the loft was 'nice kitchen'."

Justin felt himself blushing. "Do you think this means that I secretly want to be the little housewife?"

"Is there any doubt?"

"Shit!" Justin didn't expect that answer form Brian.

"I'm teasing," Brian said seeing Justin's reaction. "I think it just means that you like to cook a helluva lot more than I do."

"Genghis Khan liked to cook more than you do," Justin chuckled.

"Is that an age crack?"

"If the Gucci fits."

Brian refused to be pissed. Today was too special for anything but happiness. "Or were you inferring that we should roast a pig over a pit in the backyard?"

"Hey, that's what we need to buy … a barbecue!"

Brian groaned. "Can we hold off for a day or two?"

"But once we tell everyone we could have a cookout in the backyard. It might even be warm enough to swim."

"That's something else I have to find out about," Brian said. "I wonder who the pool company is that looks after that fucking thing … and how much it costs."

"Brian?" Justin frowned. "Are we all right … financially?"

"Yes Sunshine, we're fine, but let's not overdo it for a bit."

"Whatever you say, big guy," Justin said sliding onto Brian's lap.

"Maybe we could look for a barbecue next week," Brian whispered in Justin's ear as he nibbled at his lover's neck.

"You are a big softie," Justin said giving him a quick kiss. He tried to stand up and get back to unpacking. Brian held him in his lap.

"Something's not soft," Brian said. Justin could feel Brian's hard cock pushing against his ass.

"So I see, um, feel. Want to christen the kitchen?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

Some time later they lay sprawled across the table, Brian on top of Justin. Their orgasms had been intense.

"Nothing like a new locale to spice things up a little," Brian groaned as he raised his head to look into Justin's eyes.

"Did we need spicing up?"

"Um … no, but it's different doing it here."

"Different how?" Justin asked.

"I don't know. It just feels … different."

"That this is just you and me … and no one else?" Justin asked.

"Yeah," Brian whispered nuzzling the neck beneath him.

"If we go unpack the bedroom we could try out our new mattress."

"We could do that without unpacking," Brian said suggestively.

"We need to make up the bed so we can sleep later."

"I'm not tired."

"But you will be … we will be."

"Not for hours and hours."

Justin giggled. "Come on, honey. We have work to do." He grabbed Brian's hand and pulled him to his feet.

Brian allowed himself to be pulled naked along behind Justin. He knew he'd get what he wanted one way or another. If he had to work a bit first, that was a small price to pay. Once in the bedroom, Justin found the box with the sheets and duvet. He and Brian quickly made up their makeshift bed. When Justin tried to open another box, Brian was all over him. He couldn't help but giggle as Brian nipped at his neck and tweaked his nipples, both of them still naked from their activities in the kitchen.

"Brian, please," Justin panted. "I have to find something."

"What could possibly be more important than my dick in your ass?"

"Let go and I'll show you," Justin said pushing Brian away.

Brian relented and stood back watching Justin rummage through the boxes obviously looking for something.

"Aha," Justin cried finally.

Brian watched him lift something covered in a towel out of one of the boxes. "What is it?" Brian asked not recognizing anything he had packed that looked like that.

"You'll see," Justin said moving over to the niche recessed into the wall opposite where they had told the delivery men to set up the mattress on the floor. Brian knew then what Justin was doing. Carefully Justin unwrapped the towel and placed his sculpture, the one with the intertwining hearts and their rings dangling inside, into the niche. It fit perfectly, just the right size. "It looks perfect there," Justin said standing back and admiring the new showcase for his work.

"Perfect," Brian whispered as he came up behind him.

"Now we can fuck," Justin said turning to kiss Brian. "I like to look at it after we've made love."

"Me too," Brian admitted softly as he pulled Justin into his embrace. "Our first time on the new mattress and in our new bedroom."

"The first of many," Justin said leading them to the mattress.

They both sank down onto the soft surface. The first kiss went on and on neither wanting it to end. They made love slowly caressing and kissing and touching every possible part. When they were finally finished, Justin lay back with Brian cradling him against his chest. They both looked over at the sculpture.

"We made the right decision," Brian said softly.

Justin's smile was radiant. "Yeah," he whispered as his mouth sought Brian's once more.

Chapter 3 - Moving III by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Moving III

Brian awoke on his new mattress in his new home in the middle of his new life. He nuzzled the back of Justin's neck as the boy slept on, Brian curled against his back. They had been in their new house for three weeks, and what a three weeks it had been. None of their friends knew yet that they had moved. Nobody had gone to the loft looking for them. Brian smiled. He had loved this little island of time alone with Justin as they set up their house and made their first attempts at domestic bliss.

He and Justin had spent the last couple of weeks making their home the way they wanted it. They got the furniture arranged in Gus' room and could hardly wait to have the little boy come and spend the night in his own room. The dining room and the kitchen were all taken care of. The family room contained the futons and the bar cart and the computer desk and the plasma TV, but they had still not been able to find the sofa and chairs that they wanted. The living room sat totally empty.

They had, however, managed to christen each room except Gus' which they both agreed should be left untouched. Justin had been true to his word and had thought up inventive and very satisfying ways to fuck in each room, furniture or no furniture. Brian's favorite had to be the bathroom. The new walk-through shower was a real turn on. Water jetted from all sides and there was lots of room and lots of tile to press Justin up against. Just thinking about it made Brian hard. And then there was the dining room and the spare bedroom and the small room off the master bedroom and the futon in the family room and the tile on the patio outside. Brian knew there were still spots that deserved a proper sample of their fucking skills, but until they were able to get to every nook and cranny they both agreed that they had managed to do justice to most of the house in one way or another.

True to his word Brian had bought a fabulous barbecue that they used almost every night for dinner as spring worked its way towards summer They had bought a table and chairs and a couple of loungers so that they could enjoy the cool spring weather outside. They ate on the patio almost every night.

The service that had looked after the pool since the previous owners had left had been retained by Brian to keep the pool in pristine condition. Justin had volunteered to do it, but Brian wanted Justin to finish off his last weeks at PIFA and get ready for graduation. He didn't want anything to distract his lover.

They had heard from their friends on and off over this period of time. They had had breakfast at the diner with the gang a couple of times. Both of them had been so tempted to spill the beans, but they still didn't have the house the way they wanted it. Their bed would arrive in less than a week. After that they thought they would tell everyone and maybe have a party.

Brian smiled. He knew Mikey would be pissed at him for keeping the house a secret, but he didn't really care. The time alone with Justin had been well worth any subterfuge they had had to carry out. Lindsay wouldn't be too happy either, and Mel would be royally ticked off. Brian smiled wider thinking of how the new house would rankle the bitchy lawyer.

"What are you smiling about?" Justin asked without turning around.

"How do you know I'm smiling?" Brian asked smiling even wider at Justin's ability to read his mood without even looking at him.

"I know these things," Justin said smugly.

"Are you up?" Brian asked. Justin felt Brian's hand explore his morning wood and he let out a little grunt. "I was thinking about how much I like fucking you in our shower."

Justin smiled. "Then what are we waiting for?"

Quite a while later they sat in the breakfast nook sipping coffee and eating scrambled eggs. They each had a section of the morning paper which they now had delivered to the house. Brian looked across the table as Justin munched on his toast and read the Entertainment section.

He wished their life could always be like this - no outsiders, no family, no friends, just them. He thought about the party he knew Justin wanted to have, a kind of housewarming, next weekend. They would have to start inviting people and then there would be questions and negative comments and stares and prying into their lives.

All of a sudden Brian felt kind of funny. He shook his head wondering what had come over him. The image of Justin blurred in front of him. He shook his head again, closing his eyes and trying to clear his vision. He felt his heart pounding in his chest and his breath wouldn't come easily. As he opened his eyes, everything remained out of focus. He felt slightly sick to his stomach.

"Justin," he managed to croak out.

"Brian?" Justin said looking up from the paper and seeing the strange apparition in front of him. "What's wrong?" he gasped as he stood up quickly knocking over his chair and rushing to Brian's side.

"I … I don't know," Brian practically moaned. "Everything's blurry."

"Are you sick? Are you having some kind of attack?" Justin asked feeling Brian's forehead. It felt all right, not overly warm.

"Ummm…" Brian moaned.

"What? Please tell me, Brian. What can I do?"

"Don't know."

"Should I call 911?"

"Fuck, no."

"Then what? What's wrong?"

"Everything went blurry."

"Blurry?"

"Are you having a stroke?"

"Jesus, I hope not."

"What happened just before you felt like this?" Justin asked noting that Brian seemed to be regaining some of his equilibrium. With Justin's hands on him gently holding him Brian didn't seem so out of it or so tense.

"I was looking at you and thinking how great this time in the new house has been. And … and then I thought about the party and facing everyone … and everything started to go blurry."

Justin chuckled trying not to be too obvious. "Is it blurry now?" he asked with as solemn a voice as he could muster.

"No, it got clearer when you came over here."

Justin smiled. "I think you'll be fine," he said softly standing up from where he had squatted down beside Brian.

"You do? But what the fuck happened?"

As soon as Justin heard that, he knew Brian had returned to his old self. "I think it's what's called a panic attack."

"I fucking don't do panic attacks," Brian protested.

"You feel all right now, don't you?"

"Ye…yes."

"Then I bet it was a panic attack."

"Panic about what?" Brian asked.

"Facing the family with our news."

"Fuck! Are you sure it wasn't a stroke?" Brian asked with big, sad eyes staring up at Justin.

"You'd rather have a stroke than face Michael and Lindsay and Melanie," Justin chuckled.

"This is so not funny. And I'm never afraid to face Melanie." A little shudder ran through Brian despite his bold statement.

"Don't worry. I'll be right there beside you," Justin said putting his arms around Brian's neck.

Brian grimaced a bit, but decided not to protest anymore. He nuzzled his face against Justin's belly smelling the scent of the man he loved. It made him feel better. He had a sneaking suspicion that Justin was probably right. Brian had loved this time with just the two of them, and the thought of losing that did bother him … a lot. "Do we have to tell them?" Brian asked.

"You know they're going to figure it out soon anyway. We need to get it over with. We can always lock the doors and keep the world on the other side."

"Promise," Brian said slowly.

"Absolutely."

"Thanks."

"We've got one more furniture store to check out today," Justin said deciding to refocus Brian's attention on something else. "It's way across town out in the suburbs on the west side."

"Do we have to?" Brian asked. "We've been to every fucking store and we never find anything that both of us like." The panic attack seemed to have been forgotten.

"It's worth a try, and who knows, the fifty-fourth store might be the charm."

"Not fucking likely!" Brian snarked.

The furniture store was hard to find even though they had called for directions. Brian was all for giving up, but Justin said that they had come that far and they were going to look at the merchandise. Finally they pulled into a strip mall trying to get their bearings only to discover that the store they were looking for took up the large end unit. Justin took it as a good sign that they had found the store almost by accident.

Once inside Brian had to readjust his thinking. The store had high end furniture ranging from traditional to futuristic. Both he and Justin immediately found some things they liked. They were both drawn to a taupe colored set of leather. There was a large traditional looking sofa with rolled arms, and a matching chair that was huge and oh so comfortable looking. The leather felt like butter and when they each sank into a piece, they knew they had found the furniture for the family room.

"I can even stretch out on this," Brian said smiling and extending his long legs the length of the sofa. "It kind of molds itself to your body. What do you think?"

"I love it," Justin said sitting in the big armchair and feeling like he never wanted to leave it.

"These taupe, black and cream accent cushions look great with it too. We should get them as well. And the end tables and coffee table are not half bad."

Justin nodded and smiled over at his partner. Brian's panic attack seemed to have been forgotten, and that was a good thing. And now they had found their long sought after furniture. Sometimes life was good.

A clerk found them at that moment. Brian forced himself to get up from his comfortable nest and went off to finalize the sale. They were both so relieved to find something they wanted and that they agreed on that there was no point in looking further. The clerk was punching in all the numbers when Brian heard his name being screamed from an adjacent gallery of the store.

"Excuse me," he said to the clerk who just kept punching in numbers.

Brian followed the sound of Justin's voice and found him sitting on a burgundy sofa that looked like it was made of suede. It was square but comfortable looking.

"Brian, I absolutely love this, and … and we need some color in the house," Justin said looking hopefully up at his partner. "And look at the matching plaid armchair. Do you like it?"

Brian looked at the sheer joy on Justin's face. He knew that the set had far more color than he would ever choose, but it was nice and Justin obviously wanted it very badly. "It's nice," he said. "For the living room?"

Justin nodded. "What do you think?"

Brian watched the hope in Justin's eyes. He could live with this. Hell, if Justin liked it this much, he could learn to love it too. "I say that you have very good taste, and I think we should take it."

Brian saw the sunshine smile light up his favorite face, and then he found his arms full of blond. Justin kissed him again and again whispering, "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

The clerk cleared his throat watching the young men. They were obviously a couple. The older of the two was making the purchases, but the young man wielded a lot of influence. "Shall I add these to the total," the man asked with a smile.

"Sounds like a plan," Brian said extricating himself from Justin's embrace but holding on to the hand of his lover.

A short time later and several thousand dollars lighter they walked out of the store the proud owners of two rooms of new furniture. It would be delivered to the house Wednesday of the following week.

Having successfully completed their shopping expedition they decided to find a nice place for lunch. They headed back into the city looking for a likely spot to stop and grab some lunch. Brian wasn't really hungry and kept driving right past each place that Justin suggested.

"Brian, what was wrong with that last place?" Justin asked.

"Looked like a typical greasy spoon. We can get the same thing at the diner without the hassle from fucking bikers."

"I didn't see any bikes out front," Justin protested.

"You never know."

"I'm hungry," Justin sighed.

"You're always hungry."

"So!" Justin demanded. "Can we please stop?"

"I was thinking…" Brian began.

"Thinking what?"

"Why don't we go to the diner? You can pig out on your favorite junk food and…"

"I do not pig out," Justin protested.

Brian snorted. "And Debbie will probably be there," Brian continued ignoring the interruption. "So will Michael and maybe Emmett."

"So what?" Justin asked exasperated by the apparent non sequitur of Brian's thinking. His stomach rumbled ominously.

"So," Brian said like he was talking to Gus. "We can invite them to our big party next weekend."

"We can?" asked Justin in amazement. He figured Brian would fight him on the party idea especially after what happened this morning. "What happened to Mr. Panic Attack?"

Brian scowled at Justin. "I do not have panic attacks," he said sternly.

Justin made a mental note not to bring up panic attacks again unless he was looking for a fight. He already knew better than to bring it up in front of the family. "So you want to have a party?"

"As you said, we might as well get it over with."

"Shouldn't we plan a few things first?"

"Like what?"

"How are we going to invite them to a housewarming party without telling them that we have bought a house? Are you ready for that?"

Brian looked thoughtful for a minute. "We don't have to tell them that it's a housewarming," he said. "We could call it a surprise party. That way we won't get any tacky gifts for the house."

Justin chuckled. There was always some sort of weird method to Brian's madness. This way they wouldn't have to display the tchotchkes that they would be given and pretend that they liked them. "How will we get them there without giving them our address? And you can be sure they will check it out before they come."

"True," Brian agreed. "We could have them meet us somewhere and then we could lead them over to the house."

"Maybe we should make it like a scavenger hunt and then see who could follow the clues to our place," Justin giggled.

"You don't want anyone to come to the party, do you?" Brian chuckled. "I think we need to give them more help than that or they'll never find their way."

"Oh, ye of little faith!"

"I just know them too well."

"So what are we going to do?"

"What if we had them meet us at the GLC?" Brian asked.

"That ought to peak their interest, especially if you ask."

Brian chuckled again. "Yeah, they'll be dying to know what's going on."

"They'll think you've gone off the deep end."

"Some days I think I have too."

"Brian?" It was part question and part accusation. Brian could hear the hurt in Justin's voice.

"I … I didn't mean anything by that, Sunshine," Brian said trying to soften his words. "I meant that I never fucking thought that I would settle down, that I would have a partner … or a house … in suburbia."

"It's all right, dear," Justin said leaning against Brian's shoulder in the narrow confines of the Corvette. "I'll take care of you."

"If I didn't think that was true, Justin, we fucking wouldn't be doing this." Brian sounded totally serious, and Justin realized that he was.

"I meant what I said. I know how many things about your life that you have changed for me … and I appreciate it. Really, I do."

"I didn't change them for you. I changed them for me … and for us."

Brian stared straight ahead. He couldn't look at Justin at that moment. He knew the emotions were too close to the surface … and he was driving for fuck's sake. He felt Justin shift a little and hold tighter to his arm. He felt a soft kiss on his cheek.

"I love you," Justin whispered.

Brian nodded. That was all he was capable of at the moment. They continued to drive in silence for a while.

"So, let's get our story straight," Justin said finally. "We tell them we're having a surprise party, and that they should meet us at the GLC … what, on Saturday night?" Brian nodded continuing to stare ahead. "We meet them there and form a convoy of cars." Brian nodded again. "We lead them to the new house, leap out of the Corvette and yell, 'Surprise!' What do you think?"

Brian snorted. Justin could see that he was regaining his infamous control. "Sounds about right."

"Then let's eat. I'm fading fast," Justin said as Brian slid the Corvette into a spot up the street from the diner.

"Remember," Brian admonished. "That's all we tell them."

"They're going to split a gut trying to figure out what we're doing," Justin smirked.

"I'm going to enjoy every minute of this," Brian said as he strode towards the diner.

Debbie looked up as she heard the bell above the door. Things were settling down. The lunch rush was just about over. She picked up the dishes from the table she was clearing and let out a loud, "Hey, you two! Where have you been hiding?"

"Hi, Deb," Justin said giving her a kiss. "We've been around."

"The guys were all here but they left a half hour ago," she told them.

"Justin's starving," Brian said. "He needs a burger and fries. Right, Sunshine?"

Justin nodded. "And a large chocolate shake."

Brian grimaced. "I'll have my usual turkey sandwich."

"Of course you will," Debbie grinned eyeing them up and down. "Grab a booth."

"Should we tell Deb?" Justin asked as they slid into a booth. "Or should we wait until they're all around?"

"Let's eat first and then tell her. We can beat a hasty retreat when she starts to grill us. That way your stomach won't be rumbling at me all the way home."

"Home," Justin whispered, "our home … and soon everyone will know." He couldn't stop the smile from covering his face.

"You look like a cat who just spilled a pint of cream and lapped it all up before anybody found out," Debbie said as she gave Justin his milkshake and Brian his usual cup of coffee.

"That's exactly how I feel," Justin said continuing to grin. Brian pinched his thigh under the table. "Ow!" He gave Brian a withering look.

"What's up with you two? Something's going on," Debbie said glancing from one to the other.

"Is my burger ready yet?" Justin asked changing the subject and trying to divert Debbie's attention. "I'm so fucking hungry."

"Doesn't this big asshole ever let you alone long enough to eat?" Debbie asked as she went over to the order window to see if she could speed up the process.

"Thanks a bunch," Brian said. "Now she thinks I'm fucking you so often you don't even get to eat."

"She always thought that … and it's true. I never get enough to eat." Brian groaned in response. He could never win.

"Here you go, boys," Debbie said as she set their meals in front of them. "I need to clear a few more tables and then I want to know what's going on with you two."

"Yes, mother," Brian said with a smirk. Debbie grinned at him. She pinched his cheek and then bustled away. He knew she liked it when he called her mother.

Justin was already half way through his burger. Brian took a bite of his turkey sandwich. Sometimes he wished he had Justin's metabolism. That burger looked awfully good. He snatched a French fry off Justin's plate. The boy looked murderously at him, but he dared to take another one. They could always order some more if Justin was still hungry. He'd probably want a lemon bar for dessert anyway.

By the time Debbie was finished with her tables Justin had cleaned his plate and Brian had eaten about half his sandwich and a few more French fries.

"Deb, could I have a lemon bar and a coke?" Justin asked.

"Sure, sweetie," Debbie replied removing his plate and returning momentarily with his requested food.

"Thanks," Justin said taking a bite of the lemon bar. "Want some?" he asked Brian holding the lemon bar an inch from Brian's mouth. Brian thought for a moment and then took a bite out of the end savoring the tangy flavor that exploded in his mouth. Justin chuckled as he took a big bite demolishing almost all of the square. "Hey, Deb," he called. "I need another lemon bar."

Debbie smiled shaking her head at their antics. She loved that Brian was happy and relaxed even if she didn't see much of him anymore. Justin was the best thing that had ever happened to him. And if she was truthful Brian was pretty good for Justin too. They seemed happy.

"Here you go," she said setting down the plate containing the lemon square. She slid into the booth across from Brian and Justin. "So what's up … and don't fucking tell me nothing is."

"We're going to have a party," Brian said with a glint in his eye.

"Ooh, I love parties," Debbie said. "What kind of party?"

"A surprise party," Justin said.

"Oh?" Debbie said looking at them intently. Something didn't seem just right. "At the loft?" she asked.

"No," Justin said. "We've made other arrangements. Meet us at the GLC at seven o'clock on Saturday night and all shall be revealed."

"You're having a party at the GLC?" Debbie demanded looking incredulously at Brian.

"We didn't say that," Brian responded. "We just said meet us there."

"And then what?"

"You'll find out on Saturday night," Brian said. He stood up and gave Debbie a kiss on the cheek. "By the way pass the invitation on to the others," Brian added as he pulled Justin out of the seat.

"Bye Deb," Justin called as they made their way to the door.

"That's all you're fucking telling me?" Debbie yelled.

Brian and Justin smiled serenely back at her as they exited the building.

"The phone lines will be humming any moment now," Brian said. "Let's get out of here."

Justin chuckled as he followed Brian to the car. "I would have liked to play Debbie a little longer," Justin grinned as he got into the Corvette. "She was about ready to explode."

"Didn't anyone ever tell you not to bait a mother bear?"

"No," Justin said. "You don't think she'll be mad at us when she finally finds out about the house, do you?" Justin asked suddenly concerned.

"Remember that panic attack I didn't have this morning?" Brian asked looking knowingly at Justin.

"Shit!" Justin reacted as Brian pulled away.

His worries soon evaporated though as he began thinking about the party and being the host in his own home. "Brian," he started, "will I be the host or the hostess of the party?"

"What?"

"I assume you'll be the host. Does that mean that I have to be the hostess?" Brian glanced at Justin and was about to make a joke. One look told him that Justin was being serious. He bit off the joke before it could escape his lips.

"There's nothing that says a party can't have two hosts. Especially since we'll be working so closely together to pull off this masterpiece of entertainment."

Justin chuckled and then flashed Brian one of those radiant smiles. Brian knew he had said the right thing and he grinned back.

Justin's mind began to check off the list of things they would need to do for their party. There were so many things to be taken care of before next Saturday. He wanted the house to be perfect and they had to decide about food and decorations. This was going to be so great. He could hardly wait.

Chapter 4 - Housewarming by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Housewarming

Justin looked in the fridge at all the food he had bought and/or prepared. There were several salads in enormous plastic bowls. The steaks were marinating waiting to be set on the barbecue. Brian had had a fit when he saw the bill for them, but Justin had insisted that they needed to feed their guests in style. He was not going to scrimp when he invited people to their home for the first time. Butter was sitting on the counter softening next to the bags of buns. Bread was always filling in case they didn't have enough of everything else.

Justin was about to open the freezer door to check on the ice cream they had bought for dessert when he felt strong arms encircle his chest and pull him back.

"Will you relax," Brian whispered in his ear. "Everything is great. The party will be fine." Brian nipped Justin's earlobe and sucked it into his mouth eliciting a moan.

"Look who's talking, Mr. Panic Attack!"

"I did not have a panic attack. Stop saying that."

"I'm sorry. I'm just nervous. I want everything to go well," Justin said sliding around in Brian's arms so he could face his man.

"Everything will be great. Now stop worrying." Brian gave Justin a quick kiss on the lips promising more with the look that followed. "We need to leave. Time to meet them at the GLC."

"Shit, is it time already," Justin asked looking around the kitchen, panic apparent on his face.

"Justin! Come! Now!" Brian ordered.

"I'm not a fucking dog," Justin protested.

Brian snorted. "Come on, Rover."

That earned him a swat from Justin but Brian had a firm hold on one of his lover's hands as he dragged Justin behind him out to the 'Vette. The drive to the GLC took place mainly in silence. They had already planned how this was going to work.

When they arrived Melanie, Lindsay and Gus were already there sitting in their car. As they pulled in so did Debbie's old heap. Michael was driving with Ben beside him. Debbie, Hunter and Vic were crammed in the back seat. Jennifer arrived next with Molly beside her. All they needed was Ted and Emmett. Trust them to be late.

Michael got out of the car and came over to Brian who sat in the Corvette. He knew if he got out he would be bombarded with questions that he didn't want to answer. Justin still sat beside him and he groaned inwardly as Michael approached.

"Brian, what the fuck is going on?" Michael started in. "What are we doing here? What are you planning?"

"All will be revealed, Mikey. Be patient."

"You can tell me. I'm your best friend for fuck sake."

"Michael, you'll find out the same time as everyone else," Brian sighed.

"Isn't that Ted's car?" Justin asked as a car pulled into the GLC parking lot.

"About fucking time," Brian reacted. He pushed open the door of the 'Vette making Michael step back. "Everyone follow me!" he yelled.

The cars started and the headlights came on. There was a chorus of "Where the fuck are we going?" and "This better be good!".

Brian pulled the Corvette up to the exit and waited for everybody to line up behind them. When there was a big gap in the traffic he pulled out, looking in the rearview mirror to make sure all the cars exited at the same time. He started off towards the new house and the surprise that awaited their guests. He felt Justin's hand grasp his arm for reassurance. He looked at his lover and gave a tight smile.

"It will be okay," he said, half for Justin's benefit and half for his own. He hoped he was speaking the truth.

They made their way slowly out into the suburbs. Brian didn't want to lose any cars from his train. He chuckled to himself when he thought that. It reminded him of another kind of train. Justin gave him a quizzical look, but he just shook his head.

Finally they pulled into the driveway. "Ready for the dog and pony show?" Brian asked as he got out of the car.

Justin chuckled. "Bring it on," he said with more bravado than he felt.

Brian helped the cars get situated in the driveway and on the street. He refused to answer any questions about whose house this was or what they were all doing there. When everyone was assembled near the front door, Brian cleared his throat gaining their attention.

"Surprise!" Justin called out. They all looked at the young man like he had two heads.

"Thank you all for coming tonight," Brian said with a smirk. "Justin and I want to welcome you to our housewarming party. Open the door and let the party begin."

There was a collective gasp as Justin unlocked the front door. The whole group streamed in oohing and awing and gawking at the house.

"This is really your house?" Emmett asked Justin, giving him a big hug. Justin nodded. "Oh sweetie, this is wonderful. I can't believe you two made this move." Justin knew he meant 'move' on many different levels. He could hardly believe it himself.

The rest of the group was exploring the kitchen and family room. They all seemed to like the new furniture.

"How long have you guys been living here?" Ben asked.

"Why didn't you tell us, asshole?" Melanie demanded.

"I can't believe you didn't say anything," Michael observed shaking his head.

"Look, a pool," Hunter called gazing out the French doors from the family room.

"We're having a barbecue on the patio if that suits everybody," Brian stated opening the doors and leading them all out to the covered patio area. "And I'm cooking."

The sudden silence and open mouths told Brian that he had had the desired effect. He had been practicing his barbecue skills almost every night since they moved in.

"You're cooking us dinner?" Ted asked in amazement.

"Oh, goodie!" Emmett gushed.

Brian smiled in spite of himself. "I'm going to get the steaks started. Justin will get you all drinks if you head back inside."

Brian felt a tug on the leg of his jeans. He looked down to see a small version of his own face looking up at him. "Dada," Gus said. He looked slightly scared.

"It's all right, Gus. This is where Justin and I live now, and we have a room for you, one of your very own." He picked Gus up sensing the little boy needed further reassurance.

The little boy stared at his father not quite sure what to say or do. "My own room?" he asked repeating Brian's words.

Brian nodded. "Daddy has to cook now, but I'll take you up to see it after dinner," Brian promised. "Would you like to stay with us soon?"

"Tonight?" Gus asked looking into his father's eyes.

"I don't know about that, Sonny Boy, but soon. Want to help me barbecue?"

Gus nodded his head as Brian set him down and lit the barbecue closing the lid to let it heat up.

"Come," Brian said extending his hand. Gus fit his little hand inside the big one and they walked into the kitchen. "You can carry the tongs for me," Brian said solemnly handing them to Gus. Gus carried the long object resting it in his folded arms as he followed his father to the fridge. Brian took out the tray of steaks and flipped them over in the marinade.

"You're actually cooking?" Michael asked as he came over to Brian carrying his bottle of beer.

"I'm actually cooking," Brian replied.

"When did you get so fucking domesticated?" Michael asked with a tinge of incredulity in his voice.

"We all have to grow up some time."

"Not Brian fucking Kinney."

"Michael…" Brian began but he didn't know how to finish that. He wondered why his best friend insisted on trying to keep them both fifteen years old. Michael had a relationship and a foster child. He should be grown up. Why couldn't he allow Brian to move on with his life too? "Come on, Gus, we have meat to roast."

Brian carried the tray of steaks out to the barbecue with Gus trailing behind solemnly carrying the tongs.

"Are you ready for a big boy job?" Brian asked his son.

Gus looked up at him with his large hazel eyes. "Yes, Dada," he said with great sincerity.

Brian handed him a piece of paper and a pen. "I want you to take this to each of our guests," Brian explained. "Their names are listed on the paper. Ask them how they want their steak cooked and get them to write their answer on the paper. Can you do that for me?"

"Yes, Dada," Gus replied solemnly nodding his head. He was very impressed that he was being given such an important job to do for his father.

"Go ask Debbie and Vic first," Brian instructed. "They're over there."

Gus hurried off to where Debbie and Vic sat at the patio table they had by the French doors. Brian watched as Gus made his carefully worded request. He seemed to be using the exact words his father had told him. Brian smiled as Debbie took the paper and wrote down her preference. He turned away to oil the barbecue so he would be ready when Gus returned with his list.

"I've got most of the food set out on the counter in the kitchen," Justin said coming up behind Brian. "Are you ready to start cooking, oh great chef?"

As Brian turned around Justin slipped a "Kiss the Cook" apron over his head. "Where the fuck did this come from?" Brian asked. He didn't wear aprons.

"Every good barbecue chef needs the proper equipment," Justin explained turning Brian around and tying the apron at the back for him.

"Who the fuck told you that?" Brian asked teasing.

"Common knowledge," Justin declared. "I think everything's going great so far."

"They seem happy. Did they each get a drink?"

Justin nodded. "Gus is faithfully making the rounds with his piece of paper. That was a great idea. He loves to be included. Makes him feel like a big boy."

"Everyone seems fine except … Michael."

Justin grimaced and decided to change the topic. "They want a tour of the whole house after we eat," Justin said.

"I guess we can do that. It's probably standard practice for a housewarming party."

"Happy barbecuing," Justin said heading back to the kitchen. Brian waggled his head from side to side and made that "ha, ha ha!" sound that he thought was cute, and it was.

"Brian," Lindsay's voice said from the other side of him as Justin disappeared. "This is a beautiful house. How long have you been living here?"

"About a month."

"A month? And you never told us? What if something had happened to Gus?"

"You would have called us and we have the same telephone number," Brian sighed. He hated it when people tried to guilt trip him.

"I'm surprised you wouldn't tell the mother of your son that you were moving," she persisted.

"Let's not do this," Brian said with another sigh.

"Are you and Justin happy here?" she asked. Something sounded funny about that question. It was almost accusatory.

"So far."

"I'm … I'm pleased for both of you. What happened that made you take this step?"

"What makes you think something happened?"

"I can't see you taking this step voluntarily," Lindsay chuckled.

Brian frowned. "And why the fuck not?" He could feel the anger rising.

"It's so unlike you. You never wanted a relationship … with anyone."

"Well I have a fucking relationship with someone, and his name is Justin."

"Brian, I…"

"Let it go, Lindsay. I don't want to talk about this again."

"Sure, sure," she replied wondering why he had gotten so testy with her. "Can I help you do anything?"

"I'm fine," he responded tersely.

"Brian, I didn't mean to make you upset."

"Of course not," he said the sarcasm apparent in his voice. He continued to fidget with the barbecue dials trying to ignore the feelings of hurt and anger that had suddenly overwhelmed him. This was supposed to be a party. He was supposed to be happy. Why couldn't they just let him be?

"So," Lindsay said trying to return to that breezy quality her voice had when all was well with the world. "When do I get my key?"

"Key? Key for what?" Brian asked.

"Why, for the house, of course, so I can bring Gus over."

"There's no key, Lindsay," Brian said trying to keep his voice steady. "If Gus is coming over Justin and I will bring him or we'll be here when he arrives. Justin and I will be the only ones with keys to our home."

"But…"

"There's nothing more to discuss about it," Brian said putting an end to her sentence.

She gave him a look of such hurt that he almost relented. When he didn't say anything though, she turned and walked away, probably to find her husband and pour out her woes. Brian was sure he'd hear from Melanie before the night was over.

"When do we get to come for a swim?" Emmett asked coming over to Brian.

"We thought it was a little cool tonight, but in a week or two when the weather warms up we'll invite you over," Brian said trying to be extra nice after his confrontation with Lindsay. At least Emmett wasn't asking for a fucking key.

"Oh, I can hardly wait," Emmett gushed in that inimitable fashion of his. "Um … by the way, Brian, I think it's great that you and Justin have made this move."

"You do?" Brian asked turning to face Emmett. He was surprised by that for some reason.

"I know you love him," Emmett said with a smile. "This just shows how much, and I know you're both going to be so happy!"

"Thanks Emmett," Brian said sincerely. "I wish I could believe that."

"You don't think you'll be happy?" Emmett asked in astonishment.

"There'll be happy times," Brian said thinking of all the great times he and Justin had already had in this house during their month alone. "But we don't have the best history of sustaining them.

Emmett looked thoughtful like he was trying to decide the best way to respond to that. "I've always understood that you don't know what happy really is unless there's some sad to compare it too. I see you two having some of each … and that will make the happy times that much sweeter."

Brian looked like he was ready to come out with one of his scathing, sarcastic comebacks. Instead his face softened and he reached out to hug Emmett. "I appreciate that thought. I hope you're right."

When Brian released him, Emmett moved away quickly. He was so surprised at Brian's reaction and hardly knew what to make of it. Somewhere deep inside he knew that he had said the right thing and that Brian really had appreciated it. He smiled as he skipped into the kitchen to get another beer.

"Dada," Gus said tugging at the leg of Brian's jeans. Brian was pulled from his thoughts about Emmett's words and looked down at his son. "All done," Gus said proudly handing him the paper with the list of everybody's preference for their steak.

Brian scanned it and mentally calculated how many medium, rare, and well done he needed to cook. He added himself to the list. "Good job, Sonny Boy," Brian said and Gus beamed up at him. "Can you go tell Justin that I'm starting the steaks?"

Gus nodded and trotted off. Brian started to put the steaks that would be the well done ones on the barbecue.

"So you're finally settling down," Vic's voice said from over his shoulder. "About time."

"You approve?" Brian asked.

Vic gave him a quizzical look. "Do you care whether I do?"

"No."

Vic chuckled. "I thought not. Nice apron," he said with a smirk. Brian grimaced. "Are you happy?"

"What?" Brian asked not sure what would prompt Vic to ask such a thing.

"This is a big move. Are you happy?" Vic repeated.

"Yes," Brian said slowly. "Yes, I am." And he knew that was true. He was happy that they had done this. He was happy that he and Justin were making a life together. And he was happy that his strange little family was here to celebrate with them, and that they would go home when the party was over. Later it would just be him and Justin, just like he wanted it.

"I never thought I would hear you say that, Brian, but I'm very happy that you've reached the point where you can. Justin and you are … lucky. I wish…"

Vic didn't complete the sentence but Brian knew that Vic was thinking about his own life and loves, and how they hadn't worked out quite the way the older man had wanted them to. Brian was glad that he had taken this step, that he had given his relationship with Justin this chance to move forward.

"Don't fuck it up, Brian," Vic said as he cleared his throat and gave Brian a hug.

"I'm trying not to," Brian admitted returning the hug.

Vic turned away, neither of them welcoming the display of emotion that seemed about to overwhelm them. Brian watched the older man walk away. Vic was a good man. He wished things could have worked out better for him, but he seemed to have a pretty good life with Debbie. He was relatively healthy for now and seemed to be enjoying working with Emmett in the party planning business. Brian turned back to his steaks wondering who would be the next one to give their two cents worth. He didn't have to wait long.

"Cool house, dude," Hunter said sidling up to Brian. "I still can't understand what you're doing here with blond boy instead of me."

"Someday it will come to you," Brian said with a smirk.

Hunter looked at him in a funny manner. "You love him, don't you?"

"That's between me and Justin."

"Fuck! I knew it."

"Thanks so much for your input on the matter," Brian chuckled.

Hunter turned and walked away. Brian hoped he hadn't ruined the poor boy's day. Actually he didn't care if he had ruined the boy's day. Maybe this would stop Hunter hitting on him at every opportunity.

The next group of steaks went on the grill. Brian waited wondering who would be next to take him on. They would all have to get their two cents worth in before the night was over.

"What the fuck did you say to Lindsay?" Melanie demanded her hand on her hip and her negative attitude providing a frosty chill to the warmth of the evening.

"I'm sure she told you," Brian said making a face.

"You upset her, asshole."

"That wasn't my intention. I just … told her how things are."

"She's always had a key to the loft, so why can't she have a key to this fucking place?" Mel demanded.

"Because I don't want you two walking in on Justin and me anytime you fucking feel like it."

"We … we never did that intentionally."

"Maybe not, but it sure as fuck seemed like it."

"Fuck you! Why can't you just give her a key?"

Brian sucked in some air. "I'll fucking give her a key when you fucking give me one to your place!"

Melanie recoiled like she had been slapped. Brian knew that would be her worst nightmare, him having access to her place anytime he wanted. Like he'd want to catch them unawares. The thought made him shudder. Melanie turned on her heel and marched away. Brian added the last of the steaks to the barbecue. They'd be ready in a few minutes. He wiped his brow and it wasn't from the heat of the barbecue.

"Almost ready?" Justin asked hooking his arm through Brian's.

"Yeah."

"Everyone's getting their plates and loading up on salad. They'll be out in a minute."

"And when will they be leaving?" Brian asked sarcastically.

"Did … did something happen?" Justin asked frowning.

"No, no, tell them the steaks are ready. We'll talk about it later. Okay?"

Justin took that as a good sign that Brian said they would talk, but he wondered which one of the charming group had pissed Brian off. The possibilities were numerous. About the only one he was sure hadn't done it was Gus.

Steaks were served, refills of drinks provided and seats arranged so that everyone was comfortable. Finally Brian and Justin sat down together on the chaise and started to eat their own steaks.

"These are good, Brian," Justin said his mouth stuffed with a big piece of meat. "You did a great job."

"Thanks," Brian said taking a bite of his very rare steak. It was just the way he liked it.

"The food is fabulous," Ted called over to them.

There was a chorus of agreement which made them both smile in spite of themselves. There was some chatter for the next while, but mostly people just ate enjoying the delicious fare that their hosts had put together.

When everyone was finished eating they all carried their plates into the kitchen where Justin loaded them in the dishwasher. Brian cleaned the barbecue and gave Gus a lesson in the proper care and handling of a top of the line "q". Gus was very attentive and duly impressed with his father.

As Brian finished up his job he heard Justin saying that they would do a tour of the house before they had dessert. "Go find mommy," Brian told Gus. "You can see your new room."

Gus started to run inside but turned back when he realized his father was not coming. "Dada," he said. "Come." He held out his hand. Brian was about to say no but the look on Gus' face made him change his mind.

"Do you want me to show you your room?" he asked knowing what the answer would be. He took Gus' hand and said, "Let's sneak up ahead of everybody else. You should get the first look at it."

Gus skipped along beside Brian as they made their way to the stairs. The rest of the group was giving the living room the once over. Brian held Gus' hand tightly as they climbed the stairs and made their way down the hall.

"Ready?" Brian asked as he stopped in front of the door to Gus' room.

Gus bounced up and down nodding his head. Brian smiled at the enthusiasm and opened the door. Gus' mouth dropped and he hesitantly made his way into the room. The bed had a headboard that looked like box of Crayola crayons.

"Look, Dada," Gus said pointing in amazement.

The bedspread was a brilliant royal blue, as were the drapes. The room was a riot of color. All the furniture was white but Justin had put an accent of color on each piece. There was a little play table and storage box for toys, some of which were already stuffed inside having been brought from the loft. A little easel sat by the window. It could be a blackboard when turned around. The little bookcase was filled with Gus' books from the loft. Gus crawled up onto the bed and found the stuffed rabbit that he often slept with when he was at the loft.

"Mine, Dada?" Gus asked his eyes very big.

"All yours, Gus," Brian said sitting down beside him. "Do you like it?"

"Can I stay tonight?" Gus asked.

"I told you that I didn't think that was possible but next weekend for sure," Brian explained. Gus didn't look very happy about that, but he was too excited about having his new room to get upset.

"Here they come, Gus," Brian said as he heard the noise of everyone coming up the stairs.

Gus hopped off the bed. "Mommy, Mama!" he yelled. "I got a room!" He dashed out the door and soon reappeared dragging his two mothers to see his new room.

"Wow," Melanie said taking it all in. "You did this?" Brian nodded.

"It's beautiful," Lindsay said losing some of her former animosity. "Gus loves it."

The rest of the group had been peering in the door and they all concurred that the room was great for a kid Gus' age. Justin ushered them down the hall to the master bedroom. Brian, Gus, Lindsay and Melanie followed. Gus pulled his rather reluctant father along. Brian really didn't want anyone in their bedroom except them. He hung by the door while they looked around at the furniture, the bathroom and the little room which they had decided would be Justin's work room. Several people looked at the heart sculpture in the niche, but no one said anything. Brian wondered if any of them got it.

As the group started to make their way back downstairs, Brian still leaned by the door.

"Nice digs," Hunter observed.

"That bed looks really comfortable," Debbie said with a smirk.

"That shower is to die for," Emmett crowed.

Ted merely looked at Brian with a sheepish grin and shook his head. Brian decided to say nothing. He wasn't at all sure he wanted to know.

"Nice sculpture," Ben said as he went by. "Very subtle." Brian raised his eyebrows. Ben grinned.

"Are you sure you can afford all this?" Michael asked.

"Yes, Mikey," Brian replied.

"Do you have something for me?" Michael asked staring at Brian.

"No."

"This house is fucking magnificent," Debbie stated interrupting Michael. She gave Brian a smooch on the cheek, and then rubbed off the lipstick she had deposited there.

Finally they were all on their way downstairs. Justin had gone ahead to set out the ice cream and fixings to make sundaes. Brian felt like stepping back in the bedroom and locking the door behind him. He was ready for this to be over. However, he knew his partner was downstairs waiting for him. Justin would never forgive him if he didn't put in an appearance on this important night. He sighed and started down the stairs.

A couple of hours later people were beginning to straggle out. Mel had carried a sleepy and cranky Gus to the car while Lindsay said their goodbyes. Brian had promised Gus he would spend the next weekend and Lindsay wanted to make sure that was a firm commitment. She was planning a little alone time with her husband. The hard feelings over the key seemed to have been forgotten.

Jennifer and Molly kissed Justin and then Brian. "The house looks great and the party was a success," Jennifer said making her way down the front steps. "Call me, sweetheart."

Everyone else expressed their envy of the new house. They complimented Brian and Justin on their decorating skills and on sharing such a great house together. Debbie told Brian not to fuck it up and Vic told Justin he had been a most gracious host. He didn't tell Brian the same thing, but he did wink at him.

Finally all had made their way to their cars except for Michael. He pulled Brian over to the side of the front steps and asked, "When are you giving me a key? I've been waiting all evening."

Brian groaned. "You're not getting a key, Michael. Only Justin and I have keys."

"But…"

"Mikey, we've grown up. You have a home with Ben and Hunter and I don't have a key to it. My home is with Justin and you don't get a key for that either."

"I never thought you'd say that to me," Michael said looking hurt.

"Say what? It's the truth."

"Say that you didn't want me in your life."

"I said no such fucking thing, Michael."

"I … I have to go. Ben's waiting." He quickly ran down to the car and got inside.

Brian ran his hand through his hair as he watched his best friend leave in a huff.

"Thank you," Justin said putting his arms around Brian's waist.

"For what?" Brian breathed.

"For sticking to our agreement. I heard Lindsay making a fuss about the key too."

"And Michael."

"He'll get over it."

"Yeah. Let's go to bed," Brian said heading inside. "I'm glad this fucking night is over."

"It's not over. I have plans," Justin said batting his eyes at Brian.

"Do you now?"

"Oh yes."

They locked the door to their house for which they had the only keys and made their way up to their bedroom.

"Shower?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded and gave him one of those sunshine smiles. They quickly undressed and made their way into the new shower that they both loved. Brian pressed his young lover against the tiles and had his way with him. The release was powerful and satisfying for each of them. It cleansed their bodies and their souls from all the angst associated with the party and the revelation to their friends about their new living arrangements.

As they crawled into their beautiful new bed Brian pulled Justin against him and their fingers entwined. Brian looked over at the sculpture sitting in its niche. Justin followed Brian's gaze.

"Nobody noticed," Justin said with a grin.

"One person did."

Justin's eyebrows shot up. "Who?"

"Ben."

Justin chuckled. "Trust Ben." He was about to add that he wondered how Ben put up with the whiny and dim-witted Michael, but he bit his tongue. Michael was still Brian's best friend, and he didn't want to set Brian off with his criticism.

"Ben is a smart guy," Brian said meaning it as a true compliment.

"Think he'll tell Michael?" Justin asked.

"He doesn't actually know what the sculpture means, although I think he made a good guess. He may keep it to himself, but I don't really care."

"That's good," Justin said untangling their fingers and rubbing his palm against Brian's chest.

"The party went well. You did a great job on everything."

"Thanks," Justin beamed. "What upset you down by the barbecue?"

"Nothing," Brian said. He looked into Justin's eyes and knew his partner wasn't buying it. "They … had trouble believing that I could make this move, that we could start a new life together."

"Why don't they want you to change?" Justin asked with a sigh.

"I'm their idol," Brian chuckled his eyes twinkling.

"You are, you know," Justin replied. "But can't you be allowed to grow up anyway?"

"I'm growing up?" Brian asked in mock disbelief. "Oh no, Wendy, you promised I'd never grow up."

"It's all right, Peter, I'm here to help you through it," Justin promised.

"And a good thing you are," Brian admitted as his lips captured Justin's.

Chapter 5 - Graduation Approaches by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Graduation Approaches

Brian watched Justin hunched over his sketchbook. The young man was in total concentration. Brian wondered if Justin would even hear him if he spoke. He doubted it with his partner so wrapped up in what he was doing.

At that moment Brian wished he could draw. He looked at the side of Justin's face with the strand of blond hair hanging down almost into his eyes. The soft curve of the cheek and the purse of the mouth as Justin concentrated fascinated him. Justin's fingers flying over the page were a source of constant amazement to Brian. If he could capture that look of rapt intensity on paper, he would be happy. It was the essence of his lover. Justin was all creativity and determination and talent and sensuality. He couldn't believe how much he loved this man.

With a sigh Justin stilled his pencil and held the sketchbook out in front of him studying his work. The end of the pencil found its way to his lips and he chewed lightly on it as he surveyed his efforts.

"May I see?" Brian asked from his vantage point.

"Um … sure," Justin said.

He handed the book to Brian. It was Molly. Justin had captured the mischievous glint in her eye and that little telltale hint of humor about her mouth. He had also managed to portray her innate kindness and intelligence. It was a stunning portrait.

"What brought this on?" Brian had to ask.

"I saw Molly after school today. I stopped by mom's condo to talk to her about a couple of things," Justin said keeping his words deliberately vague. He didn't want to get into this with Brian.

"You captured your sister beautifully," Brian said handing back the sketchbook.

"Thanks," Justin replied as he returned his eyes to the sketch, looking at it critically for areas that might need improvement.

"Have you ever done a self portrait?" Brian asked.

Justin snorted. "I've done several. They are mandatory in a lot of courses. I have an abstract one, a monochromatic one, a sculptural one, a truly ugly one in oils. Why?"

"I've never seen any of them," Brian said with a frown.

"And you never will."

"Why?"

"Because I hate them. I hate having to draw myself. It never looks like me. It's embarrassing."

"I don't think anything you do would ever be embarrassing," Brian said truthfully. That was exactly how he felt about Justin's artwork. It was always wonderful and magical to him. He only wished he had such talent.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I still don't like them."

"Will you show them to me sometime?"

"Maybe … if you're a very good boy," Justin teased.

"Oh, I can be very good, or very bad."

"And you're being very bad right now," Justin grinned. "How come you're interested in my self-portraits all of a sudden?"

"I was watching you draw and wishing that I could capture you at that moment."

Justin wrinkled his nose but smiled at Brian. "Really?"

"Really. Have you done a sketch of yourself?"

"Not really. Not one like this one of Molly."

"Do you think you could do one for me sometime?" Brian asked.

"You actually want one?"

"I actually want one."

Justin frowned. "I'll see what I can do," Justin said. Rarely did Brian ask him for anything and he always wanted to fulfill whatever his partner asked for.

"And I don't want an abstract," Brian added as an afterthought.

"The abstract one that I have is actually a pretty good likeness," Justin smirked.

Brian snorted. "I want one of you just like this one of Molly."

"Yes, sir," Justin saluted.

"So what were you talking to your mother about?" Brian asked.

"Shit!" Justin thought. He had hoped to sneak that by Brian without arousing his interest. Unconsciously Justin began rubbing his right hand. It had tensed up after all the time he had been sketching. "I was talking to her about graduation."

"Graduation? That's in a few weeks, isn't it?" Brian asked as he moved over to sit beside Justin on their new leather couch. He took his partner's hand and began gently massaging the muscles. He could gradually feel them start to loosen and Justin sighed in contentment.

"Yep, graduation's on the fifth of June."

"Got your tux all picked out?" Brian asked with a grin.

"It's not like the prom," Justin said with a frown.

"Oh shit! That's not what I meant, Justin. I was just being a wise ass."

"That's okay," Justin said realizing he had jumped to the wrong conclusion. "All I need is to rent the gown and mortarboard."

Brian studied Justin for a minute. "And decide how many tickets you need for the ceremony?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Justin asked getting defensive. This was exactly what he had been hoping to avoid.

"Were you talking to your mother about inviting your father?" Brian asked as he continued to work on Justin's hand.

Justin shook his head, but he said, "Yeah." Sometimes Brian knew him too well.

"It's okay to want him there, Justin. I don't have to sit with him. In fact, please make sure that I'm on the other side of the auditorium."

"Don't worry," Justin said. "He won't be there."

"Why?"

"It's not Dartmouth that I'm graduating from. All else is fucking irrelevant."

"Is he still hung up on that?" Brian asked.

"That and the fact that I'm gay."

"And that you're with me."

"Mom says he won't even consider coming."

"The rest of us will all be there for you," Brian promised.

"I know, and I appreciate it. I just wish…" There was no point in finishing that statement.

"Come here," Brian said.

"Why?"

"So I can make you forget all about your asshole father."

Brian pulled Justin across his body and found the soft lips that were always eager and ready. He kissed Justin softly at first, gradually deepening the kiss and finally adding some talented tongue to the mix. After a few minutes he released Justin's mouth. They were both gasping for air, chests heaving.

"You have to be the all time greatest kisser on the face of the earth," Justin giggled.

"You're pretty damn good yourself."

"And together we're awesome."

"Awesome," Brian repeated. He wondered if he had actually taken Justin's mind off his father.

"I think I'm ready for bed," Justin said suggestively. "How about you?"

"Bed sounds lovely. Sleep I'm not so sure about."

"Who said anything about sleep?"

They made their way up to their new bedroom and the delicious new bed. Brian tumbled Justin backwards onto the bed and began kissing him again. The intensity of the kisses escalated until they both needed to be naked and joined. Brian began peeling off Justin's clothes kissing and nipping each newly revealed piece of flesh. Justin lay back and allowed his man to have his way with him. He moaned and whimpered as the lips and tongue roused him to a state of near combustion.

When Brian finally released Justin's straining cock from his jeans Justin groaned in relief and whispered, "Please."

Brian smiled down at him and then merely stood up and started removing his own clothes. Justin watched the long, lean body being slowly revealed as Brian divested himself of each piece of clothing. Justin knew Brian was tormenting him with his slow, careful movements. He wanted to leap off the bed and rip all the remaining clothes from Brian's body. Instead all he did was whimper and stroke his aching cock.

"Leave that alone," Brian ordered. "That's mine." Justin reluctantly pulled his hand away from his leaking dick.

Brian smiled that Justin had obeyed his command, and slowly pushed down his jeans revealing his own length hard and ready. He grabbed the tube of lube and slid atop the smaller body. He squirted some lube onto his fingers and pushed Justin's legs up. His finger passed over the pink little pucker causing Justin to rise up with each stroke seeking more.

"Are you ready, graduation boy?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"That's graduation man," Justin stated trying to sound very grown up and in control. His balls ached and his head swam. All he wanted was relief from the handsome man atop him.

"All grown up, are we?" Brian asked in that husky and oh so sexy voice he used sometimes.

"Very grown up."

"Ready for anything?"

"Anything."

Brian's fingers began probing and opening up Justin. Justin grimaced at the sudden intrusion and then rocked against Brian's fingers as the man continued to scissor in and out of his ass.

Suddenly Brian stopped and Justin groaned as the fingers withdrew. Justin's eyes fluttered open as he watched Brian slather lube on his dick and stroke it a few times. Brian grabbed Justin's knees and set them on his shoulders. His cock reached for Justin's hole, the place it knew so well and where they each found such pleasure. He pressed in and watched Justin's face screw up at the initial penetration. When Justin's eyes opened Brian drove the rest of the way home relishing the tight warm channel and the strong arms that clenched his own.

"Ready for your graduation present?" Brian asked.

"More than ready," Justin replied as he drove his hips up forcing Brian even deeper inside of him. He clenched the muscles of his anus and Brian groaned at the constriction.

"Feisty little twat, aren't you?" Brian said through gritted teeth.

He felt Justin relax his grip and he pulled back, only to drive in fully. They continued their struggle for control for a few more strokes. The battle between them only served to heighten their desire and drive them to new levels of ecstasy. They rocked against each other grunting and biting like the animals they were. The rutting continued until they were both dripping with sweat and panting for breath.

"Oh, fuck, Brian!" Justin gasped.

"That's what we're doing," Brian managed to shout as he continued to pound into the willing ass.

"I'm ready to explode," Justin cried.

Brian reached for the thick cock and began to stroke in time with his thrusts. Suddenly he felt Justin's ass squeeze tight around his dick and then they were both lost. Blinding light burst around them and the mattress shook beneath them as the waves of orgasm swept them away.

Some time later Brian rolled off his lover and turned his head to look at the object of his continuing desire and the only man he had ever wanted over and over again. He was sure he would want this man until the moment he took his last breath.

"Happy graduation, Sunshine," Brian said softly.

"Thanks," Justin gasped as the world stopped spinning and he could finally make his eyes focus on his lover. "That was some present."

"For me too," Brian admitted.

"Did you get a present when you graduated?" Justin asked curious.

"You could say that," Brian said thoughtfully. "I got my job at Ryder."

"That's not what I meant. Did you get a watch or a car or something fantastic?" Justin asked thinking of things he might like to receive.

"This is the Kinney family we're talking about here," Brian said with a grimace. "The best present I could get from them is for them to leave me alone."

"They didn't give you anything?" Justin asked surprised that they wouldn't be proud of their son graduating from university.

"They didn't attend the ceremony. I never told them anything about it."

"Really?" Justin could hardly believe his ears.

"Can we talk about something else?"

"Like what?"

"Like what you want for graduation."

"You're going to get me something?" Justin asked with that sunshine smile.

Brian chuckled. "What do you want?" The smile faded from Justin's face. Brian watched the clouds cover the sun and the happiness disappear from that sweet face. "You want your father at the ceremony," Brian said flatly. "I don't think I can give you that."

"I know. You've given me so much already. I have the Jeep and we have this house. And I have you. What more do I need?"

"As long as you have me, I can't think of a thing," Brian smirked.

"You are so bad! But really, I don't expect anything."

"Well, if you think of something that you would like just say so. I have a few shekels still in the bank."

"I'll think about it, but with the house and us together, I don't need anything else."

"Whatever you say," Brian said as he was attacked by the blond twink who had claimed his heart.

-----

A couple of hours later Brian wandered downstairs. He had dozed a bit after he and Justin had finished fucking. His lover was sound asleep in their bed, but something was bothering Brian. That's why he couldn't sleep. He wanted to grant Justin's wish to have his father attend his graduation. Brian knew that Craig's attendance would also mean acceptance of his son, and that was really what Justin was asking for. The only problem was that Brian did not have it in his power to make that come to pass.

Brian flopped down on the sofa and stared at the ceiling. If he couldn't make Craig come to the graduation maybe he could find a great gift for Justin, something that would make his father's absence less significant. The only problem was that Brian had no idea what that gift might be.

He glanced at the coffee table and saw Justin's sketchbook laying there. He reached over and picked it up. He began flipping through the pages. He saw the picture of Molly that Justin had just drawn. It really was very good. He continued to turn the pages. There was Gus, a recent picture of the boy on a swing in the park. Brian smiled. He saw a sketch of Jennifer looking cool and serene, but also full of love. Justin was so lucky to have a mother like that.

Brian turned some more pages and found a sketch of Ted. He wondered when Justin had done that one. Ted looked good. It must be fairly recent, after Ted had recovered from his temporary fling with Emmett. Brian was so glad that they were back to being friends instead of lovers. The whole squee factor of those two being a couple had been hard to bear.

Brian looked thoughtfully at the portrait. Then he walked over to the bookcase and opened a drawer. A stack of Justin's old sketchbooks lay inside. He took out one and flipped through it. Suddenly the idea struck him. Now if he could just get Justin to cooperate he might be able to come up with the perfect graduation present. He closed the sketchbook and pulled the rest of them out of the drawer. This might work.

-----

The next morning Brian helped Justin load his last project for PIFA into the back of the Jeep. It was a multi-media thing about world peace or hunger or something. Brian wasn't sure, but he knew that Justin would have done a good job with it regardless of the subject matter.

"There, all set," Brian said closing the door.

"Thanks for your help," Justin said giving Brian a peck on the cheek.

"That's all I get for my hard work and physical exertion?"

"Poor baby," Justin said. "What would you like as a reward?"

"I don't think we have time for that. I'm due at the office in twenty minutes."

"Later then," Justin said.

"Later. But … um … remember when you said you would do a self-portrait for me last night?"

"Yeah, I remember. You really want one?"

"I told you that I did."

"I'll see what I can do about that," Justin said shaking his head.

"Will there be someone to help you with this thing when you get to PIFA?" Brian asked.

"I'll find someone. See ya for dinner," Justin called as he drove away.

Brian got into the Corvette. He had better get a move on or he wouldn't be ready for his first client of the day.

-----

Justin's graduation was three weeks away and Brian was still trying to arrange the gift he thought might make Justin happy. Justin seemed to have given up on the idea of his father attending and for that Brian was thankful.

Brian had debated going to talk to Craig Taylor, but had finally decided that that would do more harm than good. Every time he and Craig Taylor were in close proximity one of them got injured or thoroughly pissed off. Neither result seemed likely to bring Craig to the graduation.

One afternoon Justin showed up at Brian's office. He was not expected and hoped that Brian might have a minute to talk to him.

"Hey Cynthia," Justin said as he got off the elevator.

"Justin, it's good to see you. Is Brian expecting you?" Cynthia asked.

"No, but I was hoping he might have a minute."

"They're finishing up a meeting in the conference room. They should be out soon. Brian's next appointment is at 4 pm. That gives you almost a half hour."

"That's great," Justin said. "I'll wait in Brian's office if that's all right."

"Go ahead. I'll tell him you're here as soon as he comes out."

Justin walked into Brian's office looking around and assessing the cool, neutral décor. He wondered if he might have an office like this someday. He didn't think that was too likely. He walked around behind Brian's desk and decided to try out his chair. He swung it around and sat down. It was a great chair, so comfortable, and it molded to his body like it was meant for him. He leaned back pretending to be thinking up the next great advertising campaign.

"Planning to steal my job?" Brian's voice caused him to jump and turn back around.

"No, no, but it was fun imagining," Justin admitted with a grin.


"Now that you're finished with school I'll have to keep my eye on you," Brian teased. He shut his office door and walked over to Justin, leaning down and planting a sweet kiss on his favorite lips.

"You always keep your eyes on me," Justin smiled. "That's why I love you so much." Brian made a sort of face, but Justin knew he liked hearing things like that.

"What are you doing here?" Brian asked.

"I wanted to talk to you."

"Couldn't it wait until I come home?"

"It probably could, but I was restless and I wanted to discuss it."

"Discuss what, Justin? I don't have a lot of time."

"I'll get out of your hair," Justin said with a sigh. He stood up ready to leave.

"Don't pull that crap on me. You came all the way down here. Now what do you want?"

"I shouldn't have come. You're busy."

Justin headed for the door. Brian blocked his way. "Justin, I'm not too busy, if this is important. Tell me."

"I got a couple of replies about jobs today and I wanted to talk to you about them," Justin said. "That's all."

"That's great. I assume they were offers by the way you phrased that."

"Yeah, but I don't know what I want to do."

"That's a pretty normal reaction under the circumstances," Brian said.

"I bet you knew exactly which offer you were going to take," Justin said looking directly into Brian's eyes.

"I did," Brian replied, "but that's because I knew I was going into advertising. You sent your resume out to graphics firms, animators, advertisers, art galleries."

"I know," Justin sighed. "I wish I knew what to do."

"You'll figure it out. Wait for a few days and see what offers you get. You don't have to decide anything right now."

"I know, but…"

"Justin, I have to get some stuff ready for the next meeting. Why don't you go say hi to the people in the art department? You can look around and see if you like the idea of working in that kind of environment."

"I interned in an art department for several months." Brian knew that. He was just trying to get Justin out of his hair.

"I know, but it wasn't here."

"I don't know."

"You're fucking starting to whine. Go tell Cynthia to escort you down there. If you're still here when my meeting's over, I'll take you to dinner."

"Somewhere nice?" Justin asked his smile returning at the thought of food.

"No, the diner." Justin made a face. "Of course it will be somewhere nice. We can stay downtown."

"I'd like that."

"We can talk about your prospects over dinner," Brian added.

"I hope I have some … prospects, that is."

"You have the world in front of you, Sunshine. Now get the fuck out of here."

Brian hustled him out the door hoping Justin hadn't noticed the brown paper packages leaning against the sofa. He'd have to get those put away before Justin came back. Brian quickly stuck them all in the closet and headed out for his meeting.

-----

Brian took Justin to a classy restaurant not far from his office. They had steak and salad and Justin had a huge dessert. During dinner they talked about the future.

"I thought it would all be so simple," Justin said.

"Nothing's ever simple. That's the first rule of life."

"It wasn't the first rule of my life," Justin protested.

"Not until you found me anyway," Brian said with a rueful smile.

"How am I ever going to decide?"

This was one of those things that a young man should discuss with his father, if he had a father who would listen and not criticize. Neither of them did. "Do a PMI," Brian said trying to come up with some kind of idea to help Justin.

"What the fuck's a PMI?" Justin asked with a frown.

"Don't they teach you young'uns anything nowadays?" Brian asked.

Justin glowered at him. "I thought I was finally grown up. Kindly stop referring to me as the young'un."

"You'll always be … younger," Brian said deciding not to press that issue. "A PMI is a technique where you make three lists about something you're trying to decide. There is a plus column, a minus column and an interesting column. You list everything about the topic that you can think of under the appropriate column. The resulting lists give a good basis for comparison."

"That actually sounds like a good idea," Justin said.

"Why do you make that sound like I rarely have good ideas?"

"Usually you don't share," Justin told Brian.

"The fuck I don't!"

"The only thing you share willingly is food. That way you can get rid of it and don't have to eat it."

"I share other things."

"Name one."

"I share our home."

"Briiiaaan!"

"All right, maybe I don't share very often."

"Not unless I drag it out of you."

"Am I really that bad?"

"It's not that you're bad, you are … inexperienced."

Brian snorted. "I've had lots of experience," Brian said righteously.

"Let's not go there."

"Anyway," Brian continued, "try the PMI. It might help sort some things out."

"I will. And I'll wait for the rest of the companies where I sent my resume to reply."

"Good boy."

"Brian, do I have to take a job right away?"

Brian studied Justin. He wasn't sure what the young man was getting at. "Don't you want to work? At a real job - not the diner. I thought you were looking forward to independence and incredible wealth and being able to tell me to fuck off."

"I'd never tell you to fuck off," Justin said sincerely. Brian snorted derisively. "I do not!" Justin protested.

Brian snorted more loudly.

"Fuck you!" Justin reacted getting really annoyed.

"There, you just proved my point."

"Asshole! I didn't tell you to 'fuck off'; I said 'fuck you'!"

"A mere technicality." Brian was about to say something else when he saw that Justin was really starting to get mad. The last thing he wanted to do was fight. "Sunshine, you take as much time as you want before you start your career. I want you to be sure about what you're doing."

"Thanks, Brian, I really appreciate that. We're okay with finances, the house and everything, if I don't start a job right away?"

"We'll be fine. Take your time."

"How did I get so lucky to find you?" Justin asked.

"Nobody else would have me. It's only because you're so stubborn that you got yourself this lovely prize." Brian held out his arms indicating himself.

"You are a prize and I wouldn't trade you for anyone else. In fact, let's go home and I'll show you what a prize you are."

"I like the sound of that," Brian said signaling the waiter for the bill. "You better prove your point tonight because we have to pick up Gus tomorrow morning, and he's staying for the rest of the weekend."

"He loves his room so much," Justin said as they walked out of the restaurant.

"It works so much better with him having his own room. He's happier and so am I."

"Me too, but tonight it's just us, and we can be as loud and rowdy as we want."

"Rowdy, I like the sound of that," Brian said squeezing Justin's ass as they made their way back to the parking garage.

Life was pretty damn amazing at the moment.

-----

Brian stared at the phone. He wasn't sure what to do. A part of him knew he had to try, but the other part was screaming "Fuck this!". Reluctantly he looked at the piece of paper on his desk and dialed.

A female voice replied, "Coronet Construction."

"Craig Taylor, please," Brian said with a smile.

"May I ask who's calling?"

"Brian Kinney."

"One moment Mr. Kinney."

Brian was put on hold. He wondered if Craig would take his call. He wondered if he had a hope in hell of convincing the man to come to Justin's graduation.

"What do you want, Kinney?" an angry voice demanded.

"Hello, to you too," Brian said. The urge to slam down the receiver was almost more than he could withstand.

"Tell me what the fuck you want or I'm hanging up."

"It's about Justin," Brian replied trying to keep his voice even.

"I should have known," Craig said sarcastically. "What does he want now?"

Brian tried to control his temper. He knew all the things that Justin had tried to do to make things right with his father, and Craig had rejected every one of them. Brian wanted to tell the miserable bastard to fuck off, but he bit his lip and said, "Justin's graduating in a couple of weeks. He would like you to be there."

"And why are you calling to ask me this. What's wrong with my faggot son asking for himself?"

"He thinks he already knows the answer. Jennifer told him you wouldn't consider going."

"Then if you know that why are you bothering me?"

"Your faggot son would like you to be there. He still loves you, and I hope you still love him enough to be there and support him."

A long and loud sigh greeted that statement. "I've made it clear that Justin's life choices go against everything I believe in. Until he makes other choices there is no reason for us to meet."

"You sanctimonious son of a bitch!" Brian exploded. "I called to try and reason with you, try to appeal to the fact that this is your only son we're talking about, and for whatever misguided reason, he wants you there. He wants to be able to talk to you, to get your advice about his career prospects, to know that you still care about him. But I should have known you don't have an ounce of human decency, let alone kindness or love. So screw you! You'll never hear from me again."

Brian slammed the phone down. He wished it would shatter Craig Taylor's narrow minded view of the world, but he knew that would not be the case. Nothing had changed. He should have known better than to fucking try.

Life was such a crock of shit!

Chapter 6 - Graduation by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Graduation

"There you go, Sonny Boy," Brian said as he helped Gus climb into his car seat.

"Where's Justin?" Gus asked, as Brian buckled him into the Jeep.

"Justin's a big sleepyhead this morning. He's still in bed."

"Why didn't you tell him to get up?"

"He … needs his rest." Brian wasn't about to admit that they had worn each other out fucking last night. Brian was as tired as Justin, but he had promised to pick his son up early and keep him for the weekend. So here he was while Justin slept in their nice, new bed. Brian's cock got hard just thinking about his blond twink all curled up in their bed, warm from sleep and oh so ready…

"Dada, dada," Gus said tapping his father on the sleeve. "I'm all ready."

Brian shook his head trying to clear it of the sensuous image of Justin in their bed. The man was so going to pay for that later.

"Let's get this show on the road," Brian said as he climbed into the driver's seat.

When he arrived home some time later he could smell food as soon as he opened the front door.

"Waffles," Gus shouted, dropping everything and running for the kitchen. "Justin, waffles!" he shouted.

"That's right, Gus, with fresh strawberries and whipped cream."

"Yum," Gus said climbing up into a chair in the breakfast nook and picking up his fork ready to get started on the waffles.

"They're not quite ready, Gus. Give me a minute."

Gus smiled over at Justin and began to sing, "Waffles, waffles, I love waffles."

"You just made his day," Brian said coming up beside Justin and giving him a kiss.

"I thought it was the least I could do since you let me sleep in."

"Gus wanted to know why I didn't wake you up."

"And you told him it was because I was conserving strength so that I could fuck you senseless again tonight," Justin whispered.

"Fucker!" Brian whispered back, as his cock started to react to Justin's words. "I told him that you were a big, old sleepyhead.

"Sleepyhead, sleepyhead," Gus giggled.

"Be nice, Sonny Boy," Brian cautioned, "or Justin will limit your quota of waffles."

Gus giggled again and started his waffle chant once more.

"Here you go, Gus," Justin said setting down in front of the boy one waffle cut into bite-size pieces and slathered in whipped cream with strawberries on top.

"Yum," Gus said and dug in.

Justin handed Brian a waffle with strawberries and no cream and then took his two waffles covered in everything over to the table.

"How can you eat all that fat?" Brian asked eyeing Justin's plate.

"The whipped cream makes it. Right, Gus?"

Gus nodded, his mouth so full of waffle and berries and cream that he couldn't speak if he wanted to.

"Try a bit," Justin said cutting off a piece and bringing it to Brian's lips. Brian kept his mouth closed but Justin touched his lips with the whipped cream and Brian stuck out his tongue to lick it off. When he did so, Justin popped the bite into his mouth. Brian moaned more in satisfaction than in reaction to all the fat. "You've got cream on your lips. Let me help you," Justin said licking the cream away with his tongue and then kissing Brian who pushed a little of the waffle into his partner's mouth.

"I could learn to love these if you fed them to me this way all the time," Brian said with a smirk.

"Behave, dada," Justin said as Gus watched them between bites.

"Good waffles, eh Gus?" Brian said looking at his son.

Gus nodded enthusiastically and continued to chew.

"What are we going to do today?" Justin asked.

Brian pushed his waffle around the plate. "I thought I'd trim some of that hedge along the side of the house. Gus could help me." Brian watched Justin's reaction.

Justin frowned. "You don't want me to help?"

"I thought maybe you had some art to work on," Brian said in as innocent a voice as he could muster.

"You know I took my last assignment to the IFA the other day."

"Wasn't there something else you were going to do?"

Justin frowned as he struggled to think of what Brian might be talking about. Suddenly the light dawned. "You're not talking about that self-portrait, are you?" Justin asked.

Brian nodded. "You said you'd do it."

Justin groaned. "You want me to draw while you and Gus work?"

"Us men can handle the hedge. Right, Gus?"

"Right, dada," Gus agreed. Whipped cream covered his face as he chewed contentedly.

"So what does that make me? I'm suddenly not one of the men?"

"Of course you are, but it will be bonding time between Gus and me. You can give me the portrait as your graduation present," Brian said with a smirk.

"Asshole," Justin mouthed at Brian. "I thought the graduate was supposed to get the gift, not the partner."

"We can start a new tradition."

"You are nuts!" Justin said gathering up their dishes. "Fine! Go! Get out of my kitchen! Leave me all alone to fend for myself. Make me slave away while you two have all the fun. See if I care!"

"Come on, Gus," Brian said wiping the cream off his son's face. He took Gus' hand. "Justin's having a major queen out. Let's go outside where it's safe."

Justin snorted loud enough for the two of them to hear. Brian chuckled and Gus giggled as they made their way outside.

Brian got the large clippers from the garage and the garbage bin in which he would get Gus to put the pieces he trimmed off. Brian snipped and handed the piece to Gus who deposited it in the container. The system was working quite well until Brian went to hand a piece to Gus only to find no sign of the little boy. A moment of panic swept over Brian.

"Gus!" he yelled. "Gus!"

"He's over here," a voice said from the other side of the hedge.

Brian raced around the hedge and found Gus standing just on the other side watching a black man working at painting a lawn chair.

Gus," Brian said bending down and scooping up his son. "How many times have I told you not to leave my sight?"

"Sorry, dada," Gus said wrapping his little arms around his father's neck.

The black man stood up and came towards them. "I saw him standing there, but I didn't want to frighten him. I could hear you clipping the hedge," the man explained.

"I hope he wasn't bothering you. He was supposed to be helping me with the hedge. Weren't you, Gus?"

Gus nodded, and looking at the man he said," Hi."

"Hello, Gus. I'm Marcus Egerton," the man said extending his hand to shake Gus'. "But you can call me Mark."

Brian set Gus down and shook Mark's hand too. "Nice to meet you. I'm Brian Kinney."

"I haven't seen this little guy around since you moved in," Mark said.

"He doesn't live with me. He lives with his mothers."

"Are you divorced?" Mark asked.

Brian had deliberately used the plural form of mother hoping Mark would get it, but apparently he didn't. This could prove difficult. "We were never married. In fact," Brian said deciding not to beat around the bush, "Gus has two mothers and two fathers. We're gay." He waited for the reaction. This had been one of the down sides of moving to the suburbs. There were very few gay couples, at least ones that lived openly. Brian waited to see how this nice man would react. In a minute he might not be so nice.

"Oh, I see," Mark replied. "Then the young blond man is your partner?"

"Yes, he is." There didn't seem to be any hostility in his words. "His name's Justin."

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you. People in this neighborhood are very private and very busy. You hardly ever see them."

"I've noticed that," Brian replied. He had thought the neighbors were keeping their distance and that had been all right with him. He never knew his neighbors in the loft building on Tremont and he didn't care about knowing them here. Mark seemed all right though.

"I … I'm going to barbecue tonight," Mark said rather hesitantly. "Would you and your partner and this little cutie pie like to join us?" Mark smiled at Gus who grinned back at him.

Brian was surprised by the invitation. He wondered if it was a good thing to get friendly with the neighbors, but he also knew that Justin would be pleased to be invited to dinner. "Shouldn't you ask your wife?" Brian asked with a smirk. "I know they get testy about surprise guests."

Mark laughed. "You're right. If there's a problem, I'll let you know. Otherwise, come over about six."

"Sure," Brian said. "I better get back to work on that hedge."

He and Gus walked back around the hedge and finished up the trim job. When they went in for lunch Justin had sandwiches and lemonade ready for them.

"Did you men have a good time?" Justin asked pointedly.

"We met the neighbors," Brian said with a smirk.

"You did? Why didn't you call me? I'd like to get to know them too," Justin said disappointed that he hadn't been included. "When did you get so fucking friendly anyway?"

Brian glanced at Gus and looked warningly at Justin because of his choice of words. He could tell that Justin was pissed at having been excluded from the hedge cutting and then missing meeting the neighbors. "Blame it on Gus," Brian said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Justin said ripping at his sandwich in his frustration. He chewed ominously as he waited for Brian to answer.

"Gus went around the hedge and I thought I had lost him. I had a moment of panic and I hollered Gus' name. Mark, our neighbor, said Gus was over there. That's how we met."

"You let Gus wander off?" Justin said in an accusatory tone.

"He only went around the end of the fucking hedge," Brian retorted.

Justin gave back the warning look that he had received a moment before. "So what are the neighbors like?" he asked.

"I've only met Mark. He seemed quite nice. He's probably in his late forties, black, not fazed by the fact that we're gay."

"You told him that?" Justin asked in amazement.

"He wanted to know why he hadn't seen Gus around before, and one thing led to another. I didn't see any point in keeping it secret."

"I suppose," Justin said thoughtfully.

"Oh, and we're invited to a barbecue over there at six."

"Tonight?" Justin asked. Brian nodded. "You do work fast."

Brian snorted. "I think Mark liked Gus a lot more than he liked me."

"That Kinney charm!"

"Is it working on you yet?" Brian asked hoping he was out of the doghouse.

"Maybe," Justin said some of his equanimity returning.


"How did you make out with your drawing?"

Justin wrinkled his nose. "I got started but I never like drawing myself."

"Can I see?" Brian asked.

"No."

"No?"

"Not till it's done."

"Will that be soon?"

"I'll try," Justin said with a sigh.

"Thanks."

Justin stared at Brian as he continued to eat his sandwich. Something was going on. Brian had never been this interested in his sketches before. He knew Brian liked his work, but this request for a self-portrait was out of character. He wondered what Brian was cooking up.

Brian could see the wheels turning and he thought he better distract Justin right away. "How about we go shopping after lunch?" he asked. "I'd like to get a new shirt for the barbecue tonight."

Justin chuckled. "A Hawaiian one like Vic wears?"

"God no! Just something new. You could use one too."

"Me too, dada," Gus chimed in.

"God, you've made him into a retail queen already," Justin chuckled.

"Retail queen, retail queen!" Gus chanted.

"I am so dead," Brian groaned knowing what Mel and Lindsay would say when they heard that.

-----

They returned from shopping in time to don their new shirts and get ready for the barbecue next door. At six o'clock they headed out to go around the hedge and meet their neighbors. Justin marveled that Brian was actually on time for this.

"Hey, Mark," Brian called as he stepped around the hedge and saw his neighbor at the barbecue.

"Brian, and Gus, and you must be Justin," Mark said with a big grin.

"Gwen, come on out here and meet our guests," Mark called to his wife who was in the kitchen.

A striking woman with blond hair and a lean figure stepped out of the kitchen. She was older than she appeared at first glance. Brian estimated her to be about Mark's age but very well preserved. She was white which surprised both Justin and Brian.

"Hi, I'm Gwen," she said shaking their hands and showing a warm smile. "It's nice to meet you all finally."

"You too," Justin said. "Thanks for inviting us to dinner."

"You're welcome. We're just barbecuing some salmon and I've made some salads."

"Sounds great," Brian said. That was exactly the kind of meal he liked. "I'm trying to learn to barbecue," he added.

"Brian's gotten quite good with steaks," Justin offered.

"Maybe I could show you what I'm going to do with the salmon," Mark said, "after we get some drinks."

"Let me help you," Brian said.

Brian and Mark went into the house while Gwen indicated some seats for Justin and Gus.

"He's a sweet little boy," Gwen said to Justin. "Is he your son?"

"No," Justin said with a grin. "He's all Brian."

"I thought so, but I didn't want to offend anyone."

"You don't have to walk on eggshells around us," Justin said. "We've heard it all."

"That's good to know," Gwen said. "I'm used to eggshells though. Mark and I have been married for twenty-one years. Being an inter-racial couple hasn't been easy over the years."

"I can believe that," Justin said knowing all too well about prejudice.

Brian and Mark returned with beers and a juice for Gus. They had a pleasant evening. The food was delicious and Brian thought he would like to try salmon on the barbecue the way Mark had shown him. Gus was on his best behavior and played the little gentleman until he started to get tired.

Brian and Justin learned that their neighbors had lived in this house for eight years. Mark was an executive with General Electric. They had two children, a son and a daughter, both of whom were away at university.

When Brian decided they better take Gus home to bed, they had all learned a great deal about each other. They found that they liked similar things and that being neighbors seemed like a pleasant thing. To Justin's surprise Brian asked Mark and Gwen over to the house for Justin's graduation party which was in a couple of weeks. They said they would be happy to attend.

Overall they had a great evening, and Justin was determined to make the end of it just as great, as soon as Gus was fully asleep in his own room.

-----

Graduation day dawned bright and warm. Brian tickled Justin into wakefulness and then gave his graduation boy an exuberant morning fuck. After that they showered and got ready to go to Jennifer's condo. They would all go to the ceremony in Jennifer's car and then come back to the house for an afternoon get-together in celebration of Justin's achievements. The whole gang would be there. There would be swimming for any who wanted to, and then Brian would barbecue dinner. Their neighbors would also attend.

As Justin came down the stairs followed by Brian, Brian grabbed his partner's hand and pulled him into the foyer. Justin looked at Brian in surprise. Brian gestured to the opposite wall. Justin turned and his eyes got very large and then filled with tears.

"Brian," he whispered.

"Like it, Sunshine?" Brian asked softly.

"How did you do this without me knowing?"

"I put up the hooks yesterday while you were out, and you may have noticed how I took us to the back door every time we went in and out since. I put these up last night after you fell asleep."

"I can't believe you did this," Justin said surveying the wall in front of him.

The curved wall of the foyer was filled with sketches of "the family". Brian had taken a portrait of each of their friends and family, had them framed at work and had arranged them on the wall. In the center was Justin's self-portrait that he had finished a few days earlier. To balance the arrangement Justin noticed that there were several of Brian although each different, one with Gus, one with Lindsay, and of course one of Justin's patented head shots.

"Do you like it?" Brian asked.

"I … I love it. Now I know why you wanted the self-portrait."

"There's one thing I wasn't sure about," Brian said as he moved to the front closet and pulled out one more frame. He kept it turned away so that Justin couldn't see what it was.

"Is that the sketch of your dick?" Justin asked with a grin remembering that Brian had bought his sketch from his first art show at the GLC. He had meant to hang that in their bedroom. He'd have to do that soon.

"No, it isn't my dick. I think that one should be somewhere a little more private."

"What is it then?"

"This," Brian said turning it around. "I didn't know whether you would want it up there with our friends and family. But … he is family."

Justin stared at a sketch of his father that he hadn't seen for years. "Where did you get all these?" he asked but he was actually thinking about what to say about the sketch of his father. He was still Justin's family, even if he didn't want anything to do with his son.

"I went through all your sketchbooks and picked ones I liked. I hope you approve of my selections."

"I do," Justin said. "I always knew you had good taste. Are you asking if I want this picture of my father to be hung with the rest of them?"

"I am."

"Even though he's the jerk of the century?"

"He's your father and this is your present. You decide."

"And you'll be all right with it if I want him up there?" Justin asked gesturing to the wall of pictures.

"I don't have to look at him. There's enough other ones to attract my attention."

"Have I told you how much I love you lately?"

"Once or twice," Brian said softly.

"Then let's stick the old asshole up there somewhere. Maybe the others can shame him into acknowledging his only son."

Brian quickly removed the sketch of him and Lindsay and replaced it with the one of Craig Taylor. "He doesn't look too out of place up there."

"We better get going," Justin said feeling sad that the only way he was likely to se his father on his graduation day was in that portrait.

They quickly went out to the car and headed for Jennifer's.

-----

The graduation ceremony was almost over. Being a T for Taylor meant Justin was near the end of the long line of students. Justin walked across the stage with the designation magna cum laude added to his name. He had achieved that despite the bashing and the problems with his hand and all the turmoil in his life. He smiled out at the audience and could see the flashes from Brian's camera. He figured the pictures would be too far away but he knew the most important thing was having Brian, Jennifer and Molly in the audience rooting him on.

At the conclusion of the ceremony Justin hustled through the crowd to find Brian. He threw himself into his lover's arms and received a big kiss in return. Jennifer had a warm hug and kiss for her son and even Molly deigned to give her brother a heartfelt hug of congratulation.

As Justin released his sister from the hug he noticed the look on his mother's face and followed her line of vision to see his father standing not far away.

"You came," Justin said speaking to his father but not moving towards the man.

Craig took a few steps to bring him closer to his son. He held out his hand to shake Justin's and Justin took it willingly. He wished it was a hug but this would do. It was better than anything he had expected. "Congratulations, son," Craig said.

"I didn't think you were going to come," Justin said looking into his father's eyes.

"I wasn't going to, but someone told me some hard facts and I … I changed my mind." Craig's eyes met Brian's for a fleeting second.

"I'm glad you came," Justin said softly.

"Would you like to come back to our home for the little celebration we've arranged for Justin?" Brian asked.

Justin's jaw dropped open at Brian's words. It took Justin a moment to get over his surprise. "I'd like it if you would, Dad," Justin stated wondering what had brought about these monumental changes.

"I guess I could come for a little while," Craig said hesitantly.

"That's great, Dad," Justin said.

"I could ride with Daddy and show him the way," Molly volunteered.

"Are you sure you know the way?" Jennifer asked.

"I'm not a baby, Mom," Molly said indignantly.

"We'll see you there in about an hour," Justin said hopefully as Molly and his Dad moved away.

"Happy, Sunshine?" Brian asked.

"I can't believe it, Brian. Thanks you for inviting him to the house. Do you think he'll come?"

"Sounded like he intends to," Brian replied.

"I can't believe it," Justin repeated.

"Let's go home and get ready for your party." Brian put his arm around Justin's shoulder and they began walking towards the parking lot.

Jennifer watched them for a moment before she followed. She smiled slightly. Craig had called her furious about Brian's phone call. She had told him that Brian had done the right thing and that if Craig had an ounce of fatherly concern left in his body, he'd get his homophobic ass to the graduation. She had provided the ticket.

-----

Some of the family had arrived. Brian and Justin had made sure they had drinks. Gus was there with his mommies holding court for everyone. The doorbell rang and Justin looked hopefully towards it. Brian went to see who was there. It was Mark and Gwen.

Brian welcomed them and took them into the kitchen where they got a drink from Ted who was bartending for this event. Justin came over to welcome them and Brian asked him to make the introductions to the other members of their group.

Brian moved back out into the foyer sipping a beer. He would stay near the front door until all their guests had arrived. Lindsay was looking at the wall of sketches.

"They're not bad," Brian said with a smirk.

"That's high praise coming from you," Lindsay replied. "Did you do this for Justin?"

"What makes you think I did it?"

"Justin hates to draw himself and here he is front and center," she said indicating the self-portrait. "This has all the hallmarks of a Kinney campaign."

"It was his graduation present," Brian said softly.

"Including this?" she asked pointing to Craig.

"He came to Justin's graduation."

"He didn't?" Lindsay's mouth hung open in amazement. "That must have pleased Justin so much.

Brian nodded. "He should be here any minute, if he keeps his promise."

"Craig? Here? I don't believe it."

"He said he would come. Molly's with him. She's supposed to be giving him directions here. I hope he doesn't just go home. Justin's…" Brian looked out by the pool to see if Justin was watching the door waiting for his father to appear. "Justin's got his heart set on it. The son of a bitch better not let him down."

"Why do I think you have something to do with this?"

"Me?" Brian asked trying to look innocent.

"You, you big lug," she replied hugging him tightly. "I'm so proud of you."

"Don't you mean you're proud of Justin? He's the one who graduated."

"Him too." Lindsay smiled.

The doorbell rang and Brian went to answer it. The door swung open to reveal Molly and her father. Molly smiled at Brian. Craig looked grim. Brian decided to try to be gracious. He knew how much Justin was counting on this.

"Come on in," Brian said. "Welcome to our home."

"You've come up a cut or two from where you were before," Craig said giving the place the once over. Brian knew the house was spectacular and tried to keep his smirk to himself.

"Daddy, look!" Molly said staring at the sketches on the wall. "There's me and you and Gus and Justin and Brian and Mommy…" Her voice trailed off as she studied the group of sketches.

Craig looked at his portrait there among all the others. That was the last thing he had expected. He was sure he was persona non grata as far as Kinney was concerned, and he could hardly believe that this man would allow his portrait in his house, no matter how much his son might want it. "I can't believe you allowed Justin to hang a portrait of me in your house," Craig said shaking his head.

"Justin didn't hang it. I did. I hung it for him … in our home," Brian said pointedly. Craig just stared at him not knowing what to say to that. "Let's get you guys a drink," Brian said heading for the kitchen.

The party went well. The new neighbors seemed to get along with everyone and several people went for a swim. Emmett was the hit of the party with his tangerine Speedo. Gus swam and jumped in. His swimming skills had improved so much since that first trip to Justin's uncle's cottage. Jennifer watched Craig warily willing him not to make a scene. Justin was so happy he was there that she wanted it to go well. Craig didn't stay long but he had a little chat with Justin before he left.

When the last guest finally left, Brian locked the door behind them and pulled Justin into a long, passionate kiss. "I want to fuck the new graduate of Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts. Let's go to bed."

"Brian," Justin said holding back.

"What?"

"My father said you called him. Thanks."

"I just wanted you to have the best day of your life," Brian said truthfully.

"I think that was the day I met you. All else pales in comparison."

"Thanks," Brian said with that crooked grin. "What did your father say to you before he left?"

"I told him about the job offers and my … indecision. He said I could talk to him about them if I wanted. We're going to have lunch tomorrow, if that's all right with you?"

"He's your father, Justin. Do what you want to do."

"I told him about the PMI and how that had helped. He said you were a smart man."

"No shit! A compliment from Craig Taylor. Will wonders never cease?"

Justin grinned. "He loved the house too. He told me how you set him straight that it was our home, not your house." Brian raised an eyebrow. "Thanks for all this, the party, the sketches, my father."

"You give me too much credit."

"You don't get half the credit you deserve."

"Let's go to bed," Brian repeated feeling rather self-conscious.

"I owe you a lot."

"You don't owe me anything, but you could show your appreciation anyway."

"I bet I know just how to do that," Justin grinned.

"I bet you do too."

They switched off the lights and made their way up the stairs.

Chapter 7 - I Love You by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

I Love You

"Mama," Gus said, "how do you write 'I love you'?"

"Why do you want to know that, sweetie?" Lindsay asked looking at what her son was doing on the coffee table.

"I need it," was Gus' answer.

"What are you making?" Lindsay asked squatting down beside her son.

"Something for Dada and Justin," the four year old replied.

"What is it?" Lindsay asked studying the piece of stiff paper that held various chunks of plasticine.

"A card," Gus replied matter of factly.

"Tell me what you've made," Lindsay requested wondering what it was supposed to mean.

"That's the lake where Dada and Justin took me a looooong time ago." Gus pointed to the blue blob on the paper.

"It wasn't that long, sweetheart," Lindsay said with a chuckle. For Gus it must seem like forever but it was only last summer. "What else do you have there?"

"That's the cabin," Gus said pointing to a brown blob. "And there's the dock. We watched the sunset and Dada and Justin stuck their feet in the water. I want to see if my feet will reach. I'm taller now," Gus stated emphatically.

"Yes you are. Where do you want to put the 'I love you'?"

"Here and here," Gus said pointing to two spots not completely covered with plasticine.

"What do you think about putting the 'I love you's' inside a heart?"

"Oh yes," Gus gushed and clapped his hands.

Lindsay cut out two little hearts and inside each she printed 'I love you'. She helped Gus with the glue stick and they placed them on the card with the plasticine. "That looks good, sweetie. Daddy and Justin will love it."

Gus smiled. He picked up a marker and on the only remaining space on the paper, he carefully wrote a squiggle. Lindsay watched as Gus' face scrunched up in concentration. His little tongue came out the corner of his mouth and he frowned as he diligently made his mark, just like they had practised so many times before. "All done!" Gus said with a big smile.

"What is that?" Lindsay asked although she was pretty sure she knew.

"I signed the card. See," Gus said shoving the card towards her.

"G for Gus," Lindsay said. Gus nodded proud of his efforts. "But it's upside down," Lindsay said looking at the way they had placed the 'I love you' hearts."

"That's okay. Dada and Justin will know it's from me."

"Yes," Lindsay said with a laugh. "I'm sure they will. When do you want to give this to your daddy?"

"Now!" Gus said emphatically.

"Daddy's at work."

"Now!" Gus repeated frowning and getting that look of impending tantrum.

"What if we call daddy and ask him if we can bring the card over tonight?" Lindsay suggested.

Gus nodded pleased that he would be able to talk to his Dada right away. He waited patiently while Lindsay dialed. He also tried to remember the pattern of buttons that she pushed. He might want to call his Dada all by himself.

"Hi Cynthia," Lindsay said into the phone. "It's Lindsay, and I have someone here who wants to talk to his Dada right now." Lindsay laughed and waited smiling at her son.

"Brian? I'm sorry to disturb you, but Gus is an impatient little cuss today. I'll let you talk to him." She handed the phone to Gus.

"Dada?" Gus asked holding the phone and doing his best to look grown-up.

"Hey, Sonny Boy, what's up?" Brian asked with a smile.

"I made you something. Can you come get it?"

"I … I'm at work, Gus. I have a meeting in a few minutes."

Gus frowned. "But it's very important," Gus said his bottom lip trembling.

Brian sighed. "Put mommy back on for a minute," Brian said softly.

Gus handed the phone to his mother and laid his head down on the coffee table. He wasn't going to see his Dada. His Dada was going to let him down … once again.

"Brian," Lindsay began, "I suggested that I bring Gus and his gift over after dinner tonight. Would that be all right?"

"That works for me. In fact," Brian said thoughtfully, "why don't you bring his stuff and he can stay all night. I'll take him to preschool in the morning."

"Just a minute," Lindsay said. "Gus, Daddy wants to know if you would like to spend the night with him and Justin."

Gus sat up, a smile playing at the corners of his mouth. He nodded vehemently.

"I think that's a yes," Lindsay laughed. "I'll bring him over after dinner."

"See you both then," Brian said. "Oh, and put Gus back on for a moment."

"Dada," Gus said.

"I can't come over now, Sonny Boy, but we'll have fun tonight. Okay?"

"Okay, Dada."

"See you tonight," Brian said and hung up the phone. He had to get to his next fucking meeting with the art department, but he needed to remember what was important to a four year old. Sometimes that took precedence over business.

-----

Lindsay and Gus arrived as Brian and Justin were finishing dinner.

"You're just in time for some ice cream," Justin said to Gus.

"This is for you and Dada," Gus said as he extended his arms. He held his somewhat fragile card on the palms of his hands like a tray.

"What's this?" Justin asked.

"Bring it here, Sonny Boy," Brian said sitting at the table and beckoning to his son.

"He worked very hard at getting this just right," Lindsay said with a smile.

Brian took the card and set it gently on the table. He studied the blobs of plasticine trying to make sense of what Gus had made. He lifted the little boy onto his lap and thought about what he could say. Suddenly he remembered Justin's rule about asking the artist what his work meant. "So, Sonny Boy, tell me all about your card."

Gus smiled up at his father. He liked explaining everything. Sometimes adults just didn't understand. "This is the lake where we went with Justin a loooong time ago." His little finger pointed to the blue blob and then moved to a brown blob. "And this is the cabin. Do you remember, Dada?" Brian nodded and smiled. That had been a great trip despite his initial misgivings. "And there's the dock."

"Gus wants to see if his feet will touch the water now," Lindsay said smiling at her two favorite boys.

"He does, does he?" Brian smirked beginning to understand the method to Gus' madness.

Gus nodded his head and continued. "Those are the trees and that's the barbecue where we cooked the fish, and there's the sun," Gus added pointing to a yellow blob.

"The sun?" Brian asked.

"Remember, Dada, the lake went pink, but I didn't have that color," Gus explained with a frown.

"Sunset," Justin said with a wistful look. "It was beautiful."

"Yeah, it was," Brian admitted noting the look on Justin's face. "And what's this?" Brian asked pointing to the hearts.

"The 'I love you's'," Gus said emphatically.

"The 'I love you's'?" Brian repeated.

"I love you, Dada," Gus said, "and I love you, Justin."

"That's sweet, Gus," Justin said leaning over to give Gus a kiss.

Brian watched and wondered why he had never written "I love you's" to anyone in his life. At least his son wasn't deprived of that. "Thank you, Sonny Boy," Brian said kissing Gus on the cheek.

Gus scrunched around and wrapped his little arms around his father's neck. "Can we go there this summer?" Gus whispered into his father's ear.

Brian chuckled out loud. Here he was getting all sentimental and verklempt and his son was playing him. Brian looked up at Lindsay and saw the knowing look on her face.

"Gus has his methods for getting what he wants," Lindsay observed with a smile. She was waiting to see what Brian would do.

"You know, Gus," Brian began, "that cabin belongs to Justin's uncle. We'll have to ask him if we can come for another visit this summer. He might not have any space for us."

"Yes he will!" Gus stated emphatically. "I know he will."

Brian sighed. This wasn't going to be easy. "Justin, do you think you could ask your uncle about us using the cottage for a weekend?"

"I'll try. It's the least I can do for someone who tells me they love me," Justin said with a wink at Gus and a knowing look at Brian.

Brian saw the look and realized that he didn't say, "I love you," very often to his partner. Maybe there was a lesson here that he needed to learn.

"I need to go," Lindsay said. "Mel's getting a chick flick at the rental store. We're having popcorn and a movie and undoubtedly a make out session to follow."

"Way too much information!" Brian said as Lindsay headed for the door.

"Gus' bag is by the front door. Make sure he gets to school on time," Lindsay called.

"Mama," Gus yelled slithering down from Brian's lap. "I love you!" He flung himself at Lindsay's legs and she hauled him up kissing his cheek and his forehead and his lips.

"Love you back, baby," Lindsay said.

"I'm not a baby," Gus objected.

"I know, sweetie," she admitted. "Just don't grow up too fast."

Gus gave her a quizzical look and then squiggled his way down running back to the table where Justin had set out a bowl of ice cream for him. "Bye, Mama," he called and then dug into the ice cream.

Lindsay waved and headed out the door.

"So," Brian said, "what made you think about the cabin?" He really wanted to know. He could hardly believe that Gus even remembered that trip. He didn't notice the look that Justin gave him. Justin knew that if Gus had been distracted by the ice cream, it was better not to bring up the cabin again. Let sleeping topics lie.

Gus had his mouth full of ice cream. After he swallowed enough to breathe he said, "I'm a big boy now. I want to fish and walk in the woods and put my feet in the lake."

"But you already did all those things," Brian replied obviously not getting the point.

"No, Dada, my feet wouldn't touch the water."

"What?" Brian asked.

"When we sat on the dock to watch the sunset, my feet wouldn't touch the water. Now they will."

"How can you be so sure?"

"I just … know," Gus said as he finished up his ice cream. He lifted the bowl and held it out towards Justin. "All done."

"Thanks, partner," Justin said taking the empty bowl. "Why don't you go play in the family room? I need to talk to your Dada."

"What?" Brian asked as soon as Gus disappeared.

"I'll try to get the cottage," Justin said, "but my uncle and his family may not have a time available. What do we do then?"

"We could rent some place else on the lake," Brian suggested.

"You'd do that?" Justin asked with a frown.

"Sure, why not?"

Justin stared at his partner. Sometimes Brian surprised him even after all this time. The fact that he would take the time and spend the money to fulfill Gus' wish didn't surprise him, as much as the fact that Brian was willing to take the initiative in the whole thing. Usually it was Justin who had to take the lead, make the plans, and then somehow cajole Brian into doing whatever it was. This was a new wrinkle.

After a minute Justin shrugged and went to load the dishwasher. Brian went to see what Gus was doing in the family room. As Brian entered the room he could see immediately that Gus was nowhere to be found. "Gus!" Brian called. There was no answer. "Gus!" Brian said even louder feeling panic rise. The first thing he thought of was the pool. He ran to the patio doors finding them closed and locked. There was no little boy lying face down on the water. Brian felt his heart rate slow down a little bit as he realized Gus had to be somewhere in the house. "Gus!" he shouted at the top of his lungs. He stood still and listened. He could hear giggling from the dining room. He quickly made his way towards the sound of laughter. "Where are you?" Brian demanded standing in the doorway and not seeing Gus anywhere. He heard more giggling from under the table. "What are you doing down there?"

"I'm in my fort," Gus said peeking out at Brian from between two chairs.

"Your fort?" Brian asked.

"Come on in, Dada. You can help me talk to the dragon."

"You have a dragon to talk to?" Brian asked. "Aren't you scared?"

"He's really a nice dragon and sometimes he does scare little boys. He won't scare me though."

"Then you don't need your Daddy's help," Brian said.

"He's very big, Dada. Come help me."

"Should we get Justin too?" Brian asked. He saw Gus nod. "Justin," Brian called turning to find his partner standing behind him watching what was going on. "Gus needs our help."

"So I see," Justin said getting down on his knees and crawling under the table. Brian followed suit drawing a strange look from Justin.

Once they were all firmly ensconced under the table Gus told them to be very quiet so they could hear the dragon when he decided to come get them. They waited in silence with Gus saying, "Sh," every few seconds. He held his finger to his lips. Brian and Justin looked at each other and smiled. Finally Gus sat up straight and said, "Here he comes."

"Which way?" Justin asked. Gus pointed to the side of the table.

"Mr. Dragon, don't be mad," Gus said. "We love you."

"You love the dragon?" Brian asked his son.

"If we don't love him, who will, Dada?" Gus asked

"You've got me, Sonny Boy," Brian replied sarcastically. That earned him a poke in the ribs from Justin. "Ow!" he protested.

"Sh, or you'll scare the dragon," Justin told him. Brian glared at his partner.

"The dragon says his name is Hector," Gus contributed.

"Hector?" Brian snarked. "What kind of name is that?" He got another poke from Justin.

"It's a very nice name, Dada. You shouldn't make fun of dragons."

"Sorry, Sonny Boy," Brian replied watching the wheels in Gus' head turn.

"Hector says his throat is very dry from the fire. He wants some ice cream to cool it down."

"He does, does he?" Brian asked.

"I'll get him some, Gus," Justin volunteered. "Should I bring four spoons and then we can help Hector eat it." Gus nodded enthusiastically. Justin crawled out from under the table and went to the kitchen for ice cream.

"Hector says he will give us a ride on his back after he has his ice cream," Gus told his father.

"I can hardly wait," Brian replied.

Justin crawled back under the table with a bowl of ice cream. He and Gus and presumably Hector dug into the ice cream.

"Eat, Dada," Gus ordered. "There's too much for Hector. We have to help him."

Brian ate a couple of mouthfuls and then watched his two boys polish off the rest of it. "Does Hector feel better now?" he asked.

"Much," Gus replied. "Let's go for a ride."

"This I've got to see," Brian said waiting to see how Gus could pull off flying around the room on an imaginary dragon.

"Lift me up, Dada," Gus commanded as he slid out from under the table. Brian crawled after him. "Hector's very big. You have to lift me up."

Brian picked up his son and held him above his head. The little boy slid onto Brian's shoulders. "Go, Dada," Gus cried kicking Brian with his feet to get him started.

Then Brian understood Gus' methods. Brian was the dragon and Gus was going to get his ride around the house. Brian ran from room to room ducking in the doorways so Gus didn't hit his head. He bent and swooped like he imagined a dragon in flight would. Gus squealed and cried out in excitement and a little bit of fear at racing around so high up from the ground. Brian made three circuits through the house. As he headed into the family room the last time he lifted Gus from his shoulders and tossed the little boy onto the soft cushions of the sofa. Gus landed with a startled cry that turned into wails of delight as he bounced a couple of times.

"Thanks, Hector," Gus called. "I'll see you tomorrow." He waved at the imaginary dragon.

"Where's Hector going?" Brian asked still panting from his exertions of flying Gus around the house.

"Hector's tired. He has to go home and take care of his babies."

"He has babies?"

Gus nodded, "Five."

"Wow, busy dragon," Brian reacted, "and prolific."

Justin chuckled. "It's always sex to you, isn't it?"

"That's life," Brian observed finally getting his breathing to slow down. "I need to cut down on those damn cigarettes if I'm going to play with Hector."

Justin laughed and gave his silly partner a kiss. "That would suit me just fine."

"So, what's next on the agenda?" Brian asked.

"Ice cream," Gus yelled.

"I think you've had enough ice cream for one night, Sonny Boy. Besides, Hector isn't here to help us eat it."

Gus looked slightly upset.

"How would you like to watch 'Mary Poppins', Gus?" Justin asked. He knew it was one of Gus' favorite movies.

"Yay," Gus cried clapping his hands. Ice cream was all but forgotten.

Justin put the movie in and they all sat on the sofa watching the classic tale. After a bit Gus snuggled down putting his head on Justin's lap and Brian got up and went to the kitchen. By the time the movie was just about over Gus was almost asleep but fighting to stay awake till the end. Brian had not returned. Justin frowned wondering what Brian was doing. He would have liked to go find the man but he had a little bundle curled up against his leg and he didn't want to disturb him.

When the movie was finally over Justin picked up a sleepy Gus and went looking for his father. Brian was nowhere to be found on the main floor. Justin carried Gus up the stairs and called for Brian. The man came out of their bedroom and took his sleepy son.

"Run the bath, will you, Justin," Brian asked. "I'll get his clothes off and bring him in."

Gus whimpered a bit preferring to crawl into bed without a bath. Brian knew they would have a hard time in the morning if he didn't have his bath now. He carried the naked boy into the bathroom where Justin had the water all warm and ready. Brian sat his son down in the tub and started washing gently with the soap.

"Where's Ducky?" Gus asked waking up now that he was in the water and had something to occupy him.

"I haven't seen Ducky lately," Brian replied. "Justin, do you know where Ducky is?"

"Right here," Justin said coming back into the bathroom. "He was visiting our tub. His usual playmate wasn't here, so Daddy had to keep him company."

Brian glowered at his partner and mouthed, "You'll pay later."

Justin laughed and helped Ducky swim circles around Gus. Gus giggled and splashed and enjoyed his bath. Then they had trouble getting him out of the tub. Finally Gus gave Ducky a kiss, told him that he loved him and let his father lift him out of the tub into the big fluffy towel that Justin held out to him.

They managed to get Gus into his pajamas and tucked under his covers. The boy was quite wide awake by this time. "Story, Dada," Gus said looking up at the two adults with wide eyes.

Brian groaned. He was no good at making up stories. He looked to Justin for help, but his ever helpful partner just shrugged.

"Dada," Gus said. "Once upon a time…"

Brian wracked his brain trying to think of a story he could use. "Once … upon … a … time," he said slowly buying some time. Then it came to him. "Once upon a time there was a friendly dragon named Hector."

Gus smiled and snuggled down into his bed. He obviously liked how this was starting. Justin grinned and settled on the end of the bed to hear what Brian was going to say.

"Hector was a very big dragon with five little baby dragons that he had to look after. Hector loved the babies very much," Brian said as he brushed Gus' hair back from his forehead.

"Like you love me, Dada?" Gus asked.

"Just like that. One day Hector was out getting ice cream for the babies. He flew over the lake and … and saw Ducky swimming in the lake all by himself. Hector flew down to get a drink of water because being a fire-breathing dragon made his throat very dry."

Gus giggled and closed his eyes.

"Ducky was surprised to see a big dragon so close and tried to swim away. Hector called to Ducky and told him not to be afraid. He was looking for ice cream, not ducks, to take back to his babies. Ducky told Hector that his friend Gus always had ice cream and would share with him. Hector thanked Ducky and flew off to find Gus."

"He's asleep, Brian," Justin whispered.

Brian leaned in and kissed the cheek of his son. "I love you, Sonny Boy," he said before he stepped away.

"I love you too, Gus," Justin said giving the sleeping boy a kiss before he turned out the light and went to join Brian downstairs.

"I think I'd like an early night," Brian said as he put the "Mary Poppins" DVD back in its case. "How about you?"

"I could be talked into it," Justin said with a smile.

"If you get the lights, I'll check the front door and meet you in the bedroom."

"Deal," Justin said.

They each did their jobs and quickly made their way upstairs.

"I'm going to take a quick shower," Justin said. "Care to join me?"

"No, no thanks. You go ahead. I'll be waiting for you when you come out," Brian said.

Justin frowned. It wasn't like Brian to turn down a dual shower. He went into the bathroom and Brian went to his desk where he had been working on something while his two boys had watched "Mary Poppins". He pulled out his special creation and added one more thing. He smiled to himself as he carried it over to the bed.

He grabbed three flat sheets out of the linen closet and tossed them over the metal frame that connected the tops of the four posts of their bed. He adjusted them until he had made a cozy and completely private area inside. He undressed quickly as he heard the shower go off. He crawled inside and closed the opening by pulling the sheet back over it. He picked up his special surprise and sat cross-legged on the bed holding his surprise.

"Brian?" he heard Justin say. "What's going on? Where are you?"

"I'm in here?" Brian said with a grin. He adjusted his surprise. "Come join me."

Justin slowly pulled back enough of one of the sheets that he could see Brian. He giggled when he saw the man sitting in the middle of the bed holding out a paper flat on the palms of his hands. He looked so much like Gus from earlier in the evening.

"What are you doing?" Justin asked dropping his towel and crawling in naked to join his lover.

"This is for you," Brian said seriously.

"It is?" Justin asked taking the piece of paper.

He studied the blotches of color and the three words inside a hand drawn heart. He wondered what Brian was trying to tell him.

"Tell me about your drawing," Justin said softly.

"This is the lake where we went with Gus a loooong time ago." Justin chuckled. "This is the cabin and the dock where we dipped our feet in the water."

"Ahh, I remember it well."

"And what's this?" Justin asked pointing to the "I love you".

"That's what I don't say to you nearly often enough," Brian admitted. "It took my son to remind me of that tonight."

"It's lovely," Justin said touched.

"I've never made an 'I love you' card for anyone before," Brian admitted.

"Really?"

Brian nodded. "I was … happy that Gus can do it so easily. He loves you and me and Lindsay and Mel and the whole gang and even Hector."

"He loves everybody," Justin agreed.

"In his world even dragons are kind and friendly because we love them. I thought it was time I told you that too. I wouldn't want you to forget that I love you."

"I'll never forget," Justin promised leaning in for a kiss that lasted for quite a while.

"There's a couple of other things on there that you didn't notice," Brian said pointing to the paper.

"Oh," Justin reacted. He studied the paper. "What's this inside the cottage?"

"It's our rings," Brian said softly.

"But why…? Oh my God! You had them with you at the cabin?"

"I wanted to give them to you that weekend but the time just didn't seem right."

"Those rings sure have a checkered history," Justin said shaking his head.

"Yeah."

"Are you suggesting that we start wearing them now?"

"Not unless you feel a great need to do so. I like them in the sculpture."

"Then why are you telling me this now?" Justin asked puzzled.

"I guess I want to be more like my son. He teaches me stuff every day that I'm with him." Justin nodded. "Smart little fucker, isn't he?"

"And a loving one, just like his Daddy," Justin said with tears in his eyes.

"I hope I can live up to his example," Brian said placing his hand over his heart.

Justin was still looking at his card. "What's this down at the bottom?"

"That little yellow thing?"

"Yeah."

"That's Ducky. If you didn't like the card or the sentiment, I was going to say that Ducky made me do it," Brian stated his tongue pushing out his cheek.

Justin burst out laughing. "Trust you to cover all your bases."

Brian smirked at him. "But I'll take all the credit since you seem to like it."

"Like it! I love it. And I love you," Justin said throwing himself at Brian and tumbling them both back onto the bed. "Are you going to fuck me in your lovely little fort, big guy," Justin said with a sexy grin.

"My plan exactly, as long as you agree," Brian replied as his lips captured Justin's.

"It's the least I can do for someone who tells me they love me," Justin giggled as Brian kissed him again.

Chapter 8 - Work and Play by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work and Play

Justin threw open the front door and raced into the house. "Brian! Brian!" he yelled at the top of his lungs. There was no response, but Brian's car was in the driveway. He must be home. Justin ran through the house and out to the pool. Brian was wiping off the lawn furniture scattered around the pool. "I got the job!" Justin cried and flung himself at Brian.

Brian caught the flying blond and pulled him against his body. His lips kissed Justin's warmly and then he chuckled. "This is indeed good news. Now I can be kept in the manner to which I would like to become accustomed."

"Asshole," Justin said affectionately as he swatted Brian in the chest.

"Is it the job you wanted?"

"Computer animation with the Hartford firm," Justin said with a huge smile on his face. "My first real job!"

"Good going, Walt," Brian said.

"Who's Walt?" Justin asked with a frown.

"Walt … as in Disney. Jeez, you youngsters are so uninformed."

"I know who Walt Disney is," Justin protested. "I just didn't know that you did."

Brian raised his eyebrow. "I know everything."

"Or so you'd have us believe," Justin smirked. "How are we going to celebrate?"

"Hm, let me think. How be I take you upstairs and rip off your clothes and fuck you into the mattress?"

"You'll do that anyway. I thought we could go somewhere nice," Justin said with a coy smile.

"You did, did you?"

"Can't we? Please!"

"Are you paying?"

"Fuck! All right, I'll pay," Justin griped. He just wanted a nice time and for Brian to show some appreciation for all of his hard work. He stared at the concrete that surrounded the pool, not wanting to look at Brian right at that moment. Silence descended around him, and finally he looked up to find himself alone. "Brian?"

"I'm in here," Brian said from the kitchen.

Justin stepped through the patio door and was greeted with one of those noisemakers that unfurl when you blow in them and make decidedly rude noises as well. The tip of it hit him in the cheek. He shrank back before Brian grabbed him.

He looked up and burst out laughing. Brian was wearing a little, purple, glittering, cone hat perched on the side of his head and held on with a little band of elastic under his chin. He looked so adorable that Justin giggled out loud before the noisemaker hit him in the throat. Brian released him and placed an identical, albeit pink, hat jauntily on the side of Justin's blond head.

"Brian, you had all this ready?"

"I did. I knew you'd get the job."

"How did you know?"

"Because you're a fucking genius when it comes to art."

Justin basked in the glow from those words before he softly said, "I love you so much."

"Of course you do," Brian said with his tongue in cheek. "I'm just so loveable."

"You are, you know."

"So, can I fuck you into the mattress now?"

"Any time, big boy!"

Brian chuckled. He looked at his watch. "We don't have time. We have to get dressed."

"Dressed for what?"

"We have reservations at Emile's for seven."

Justin's arms came around Brian's neck and he pulled his lover down for a sweet and demanding kiss. "You are going to get so lucky at Emile's … that is, if we have a private room."

"Oh, we do."

Justin smiled. "I thought you weren't going to celebrate this at all, and here you've done all this, made all these arrangements."

"Only the best for my newly employed partner." Brian smiled without a trace of a smirk. That made Justin feel even more special. He loved to hear Brian state their relationship, like it confirmed it on some verbal level that was even more special than the visceral level they both understood.

An hour and a half later they walked through the front door of Emile's. Emile, himself greeted them.

"Bonsoir, mes amis."

"Bonsoir," they replied.

"It's good to have you here, Monsieur Kinney. It's been too long."

"I agree," Brian said with a smile. "I've been busy lately, but we're celebrating Justin's new job."

"Ah, bien sur. Congratulations, Monsieur Justin. A bottle of champagne awaits you in your room."

"That's very gracious of you," Justin said holding firmly to Brian's hand and illuminating the foyer with his brilliant smile.

They made their way upstairs to their private room. Shrimp cocktail waited for them in dishes of ice. A bottle of unopened champagne was chilling in a bucket.

"This is so great!" Justin said reaching up to kiss Brian's cheek.

"And you expected … what?"

"I didn't really expect anything," Justin admitted.

"You know that I've always said I celebrate achievement. This is a big achievement. I'm proud of you … and you should know that."

"I guess I do, but it's awfully nice to hear it out loud every once in a while."

Brian stared into the eager blue eyes and resolved to tell Justin how special he was more often. "Let's eat those shrimp while they're fresh," Brian said with a smirk.

They sat down and dug into the shrimp. After he had eaten several Justin picked up a nice juicy, fat one and waved it near Brian's lips. Brian's tongue came out and took a swipe as the shrimp passed by. Justin felt his dick harden at the site. He let out a little groan as he placed the shrimp against Brian's lips. Brian sucked the top in and bit off a big piece. When Justin drew the remains back Brian picked up a shrimp off his dish and fed it slowly into Justin's mouth. Justin bit down and then smiled back at his lover as he chewed the delicious morsel.

"Yummy," Justin said as he licked his lips.

"Something else looks pretty yummy from where I'm sitting."

"And what might that be?" Justin grinned.

"You," Brian said as he stood. He pulled Justin up from his seat and into a long, searing kiss. "I'm going to fuck you between each course," Brian whispered against Justin's ear. His hot breath made Justin shiver, or maybe it was the anticipation that Brian's words engendered.

"I'm done with the appetizer," Justin said with a nervous giggle. He felt like a silly little virgin all of a sudden.

"Then let's get started," Brian said shoving Justin against the wall. He yanked down Justin's expensive dress pants without unbuttoning them. Justin held his breath waiting for the rip that didn't come. He let out a sigh of relief. His trousers were still intact. "Step out of them," Brian said against the back of Justin's neck.

Justin did as instructed kicking his trousers aside. He felt Brian lean against him and the man's hard cock pressed against his bare ass. He moaned feeling his own hard dick trapped between himself and the wall.

"Spread 'em," Brian ordered.

Justin stepped back slightly, bent at the waist and spread his legs apart. He heard Brian growl and smiled to himself. Brian liked to top, Brian liked to be on top, but Justin knew who had a lot of the control in this relationship. He shoved his ass back farther and heard another growl. Oh yeah, he had control … almost.

Brian's dick rammed into him and all control was forgotten. The perfect cock that he had worshipped in so many ways and so many times rolled across his prostate and Justin moaned … loudly. He had control, he could make Brian do whatever he wanted, but all he wanted was Brian to fuck him … hard.

"Harder," Justin said through gritted teeth. "Oh God, harder."

"Dirty little boy, bossy bottom, newly demanding worker in the stream of the American industrial complex." Each word was punctuated with an astounding thrust that made Justin rise up on his toes.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Justin gasped as he felt his orgasm creeping through his system. Every nerve was snapping and crackling, and his blood was racing and his eyes started to roll up in his head. "Oh, oh, oh, fuck! Fuck! Fuck!"

Brian thrust hard and they both exploded.

Some moments later Brian pulled out and gently kissed the back of Justin's head. "That was fan-fucking-tastic!"

"Absolutely," Justin agreed taking some deep breaths. "But I think between the main course and dessert it will be your turn."

"Oh, you do, do you?"

"Uh huh."

"We'll see," Brian said as he cleaned them up. "I need some sustenance before we do anything else."

"What did you order?"

"It's a surprise."

"I love surprises," Justin said as he adjusted his clothes. "Remember I had escargots here for the first time."

"I thought about ordering those again, but I kind of felt like shrimp. I hope that was all right."

"They were delicious, a good choice."

Brian pushed the button indicating they were ready for the main course. It would appear in a few minutes. He popped the cork on the champagne and poured them each a glass.

"Variety is always good," Justin said with a lustful look. He fully intended to have Brian for his dessert.

A little tap at the door indicated that the main course had arrived. The boys had straightened their clothing and lolled on the Victorian couch that stood to one side of the room. They looked very presentable as their waiter entered. He was a swarthy looking man with an obviously well developed body. He had Latin good looks, but not exactly the type that either Brian or Justin favored. However, neither would turn down someone who looked like him. The waiter risked a glance at the two beautiful men sprawled on the couch sipping champagne.

"Good evening, Gentlemen. I'm Jorge, your waiter for the evening."

"Jorge," Justin and Brian replied.

Brian smirked and winked at the man. He immediately noticed the activity in the waiter's trousers and smiled to himself. Justin noticed the smile and followed Brian's line of vision which led him directly to Jorge's crotch. He barely stifled the groan that escaped his lips. This was supposed to be his night, his celebration, and his partner was flirting with the fucking waiter.

Brian felt Justin stiffen and glanced at the man who had been leaning against him. He could tell by the small groan and the eyes locked forward that Justin was not a happy camper.

By this time Jorge had laid out their main course. He said, "Duck a l'orange, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus with Hollandaise. If there's any other service I can provide, please feel free to ask." The innuendo embedded in his words was not lost on either man.

"Thank you, Jorge," Brian said standing up. "That will be all."

Justin glanced at Brian who gave the waiter a shake of his head. Jorge bowed slightly in acknowledgement of the rebuff and slunk out the door.

"Are you sure you don't want to call him back?" Justin asked with a tinge of bitterness in his voice. "He was blatantly offering."

"It doesn't hurt to look."

"Sometimes it does," Justin said honestly.

"If it does, then I'll try to cover my eyes," Brian said feeling a little put upon when he had just turned down a very good offer.

"How come you ordered all this fattening food? Aren't you eating?"

"Yes, I'm fucking eating!" Brian felt his anger rise. He had done absolutely nothing except try to make Justin happy, and now all of a sudden he was in the doghouse. "I thought they were your favorites."

"They … they are," Justin admitted softening to Brian's hurt expression. "I'm just surprised that you are having them too. Wouldn't they make you a steak and salad?"

"Of course they would. I thought it would be fun if we ate together tonight, but I guess I was wrong." Brian threw himself back onto the couch and downed the rest of his glass of champagne. He immediately poured another and started in on it.

"Brian, don't. Don't get drunk. I don't want to fight with you."

"You could have fooled me," Brian sulked.

"Come and eat the dinner while it's hot," Justin said in a soft voice. He reached for Brian's hand and tried to pull him up from the couch. Brian resisted at first and then allowed himself to be pulled upright.

"This is supposed to be your night, Justin. I wouldn't do anything you don't want to do," Brian said sincerely.

"I know, but you were looking right at his dick, and he was hard."

"And it was a good size too," Brian smirked.

"Yeah," Justin admitted. "Is that supposed to make it better?"

"Doesn't it say something that I turned him down without a thought?"

"Oh, you had a thought!"

"Yeah, I guess I did," Brian chuckled. "But it's been so long since I fucked anyone else that I'm not sure I'd remember how to do it."

"They say it's like riding a bike. You never forget."

"Are you trying to make this even harder?"

"I'd say things were hard enough," Justin said with an evil grin. He reached down and gave Brian's cock a squeeze.

Brian groaned. "Let's eat the four hundred and seventy-two thousand calories in this lovely meal."

"Let's," Justin said with a grin. He sat down at the table and dug in. "Yum, this is delectable."

"And so are you," Brian said leaning in for a kiss and a little bit of Hollandaise sauce from Justin's lips.

Justin smiled one of his best, and Brian sat down to cover the tent in his pants that that smile could always engender. Justin looked at his duck and sliced off a piece, but he knew exactly what he had done. Brian was softening up or hardening up, as the case may be. He'd have his way before long.

Surprisingly Brian ate quite a bit of the heavy meal. Justin finished all of his and allowed Brian to give him some from his plate.

"That was scrumptious," Justin said with a satisfied lick of his lips.

Brian chuckled. "No shit!"

"Well, it was. Emile makes the most delicious food in the whole world."

Brian shook his head and let out a little snort.

"What?" Justin asked.

"Emile doesn't cook any more. He'd be flattered that you think his food is the best in the world, but he would know that's not true."

"I don't care. I still think it's the best."

"Like you have anything to judge it by."

"This from the great world traveler."

"Well, I've certainly traveled more than you."

Justin frowned. "That's true, but we could start to rectify that, couldn't we?"

"Meaning?" Brian smirked.

"Meaning that we could take some trips. You know to Europe. The capitals of the world."

"You start your job on Monday. Shouldn't you work for a week or two first before you ask for months off to travel?"

"I didn't mean immediately," Justin conceded. "Maybe at Christmas we could go somewhere. I'm sure they'll give me some time off by then."

"Undoubtedly," Brian said with just a touch of sarcasm.

"I'm ready for dessert." Justin decided to change the subject.

"I've ordered that too."

"Not that kind of dessert, but I will want that later."

"And just what dessert did you have in mind for now?" Brian asked knowing full well what Justin was hinting at. He was prepared to acquiesce, but he had to make Justin work for it first. Wouldn't want the boy to get too smug.

"I told you what I wanted for dessert," Justin said batting his eyelashes.

"Twat," Brian scoffed. "You'll have to do better than that."

"I can do much better," Justin said with a grin.

"Show me."

Justin knew he had won. His smile widened and he pulled Brian over to the couch. He pushed Brian down and slid onto his knee. His lips caressed Brian's gently and then more insistently. He felt Brian's mouth open and he delved with his tongue. His hands were working on the buttons of Brian's shirt and he almost had it and Brian's jacket off the shoulders of the man when he felt Brian push him away.

"What?" Justin asked staring at Brian with wide eyes. He better not be turning him down.

"My leg's gone numb," Brian said shifting Justin's bottom to a new position. "Must be all the extra weight from that duck a l'orange.

"Asshole," Justin said seeing the twinkle in Brian's eye.

Justin shoved the clothes from Brian's upper body and started undoing his belt. His tongue licked down Brian's bare chest and sucked on each nipple as he worked Brian's trousers down his legs. He felt Brian lift his hips to enable Justin to pull his underwear off. Brian's beautiful cock leapt free. Justin let out a little slurp of satisfaction at the sight of it already stiff and leaking.

"I knew you wanted this," Justin whispered.

Brian snorted. "You seem to know everything now that you've joined the ranks of the employed."

"That would be correct," Justin smirked. "Although I knew most everything before as well. Turn over and kneel on the couch."

Brian raised an eyebrow, but then did as he was told. The low, antique settee put Brian's ass at just about the right level for Justin's own straining dick.

Justin blew across Brian's pucker causing shivers along the man's spine. He used his tongue next to lubricate and probe the tight muscle. Next his fingers stretched and lubed and finally he was ready to enter.

"Ready?" he asked kissing along the raised area of Brian's spine.

"Yes, you little asshole," Brian said. "Get on with it."

Justin chuckled. He knew he had deliberately prolonged readying his partner to drive Brian crazy. Sounded like he had succeeded. "Good things come to those who wait," Justin whispered against Brian's ear.

"Use that goddam thing of yours because I've waited long enough to cum."

Justin smiled and eased the tip of his cock into Brian's ass. Brian tensed at the initial stretch. Justin waited till he felt Brian relax. He drove in further hearing Brian groan at the twinge and the stretch. When he was fully embedded he leaned against Brian's back.

"Thank you for all this, for everything. I never thought you'd make such a big deal of this job and I want you to know how much it means to me."

"Show me," Brian commanded pushing back and causing Justin to thrust involuntarily.

"Fuck!" Justin reacted. He had just lost control. He began to plow Brian's ass following the thrusts and squeezes that Brian initiated from his end. Apparently Brian knew about being as much of a bossy bottom as Justin did.

Justin didn't last too long. He rarely was the top in their relationship and he found it difficult to delay his orgasm. The heat and silk of being captured in Brian's ass was always too much. He had to come. He jerked Brian off mercilessly trying to make him come first. That didn't happen but Brian wasn't far behind him.

They lay entangled in the sheet that they had thrown over the antique couch when they first sat down. Justin turned so that he could look at Brian's face. Hazel eyes looked back.

"I love you so much," Justin said kissing Brian's chin.

"And I love you just as much."

Justin smiled. Brian did say those words more easily these days. "Not more?" he asked with a grin.

"Impossibly more," Brian said as Justin studied Brian's face. There was no smirk, just love, written all over it.

"I'm ready for dessert now," Justin said deciding not to press his luck. Strong emotion either made Brian maudlin or angry.

"I thought I was dessert," Brian said sitting up.

"You're good. But not very filling. I need calories."

"You've had about a million so far tonight."

"Then what's a million more?"

Brian snorted. He rang the bell knowing that it would take a few minutes for the dessert he had ordered to appear. They could get cleaned up in the meantime.

They sipped champagne on the couch waiting for Jorge to appear once again. A tap at the door and he wheeled in a trolley bearing a flaming Baked Alaska.

"Oh," Justin smiled. "Those look great."

"They are delicious, gentlemen," Jorge told them as he cleared the table and set the dessert and a carafe of coffee on the table.

"I don't think I've ever had Baked Alaska," Justin said as Jorge closed the door behind him.

"When I finally earned some decent money, this was one of the first extravagant desserts I ever ordered."

"And you've liked it ever since?"

"It's okay, but it's the fact that I can afford to order it that makes it so special."

"You are so weird," Justin said. He sat down and lifted a spoonful of the delicacy to Brian's lips. Brian accepted it and gave a little moan.

"Hot and cold together. Very special."

"Delicious," Justin declared.

They nibbled at the dessert, feeding each other a spoonful here and there. As Justin cleaned the plate, he let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Brian asked with a frown. He had tried to make the evening perfect for his partner.

"It's almost over," Justin said softly. "This was about the best night of my life."

"I hope it has a better ending than another night you thought was special," Brian said unable to stop his mind from turning to the ill-fated prom.

"It's been great," Justin said quickly not wanting them to go there. "I'm ready to go home and sleep with you in our bed in our home."

"Me too," Brian said with a gentle smile.

They said their goodbyes to Emile and left the building. They were both quiet on the ride home. As they entered the house, Justin looked around. He had just about everything he had ever wanted. He smiled as he watched Brian set the alarm.

"Ready for bed?" Justin asked.

"I should check the messages," Brian replied.

"Tomorrow," Justin said with a soft smile. "I want to go to bed right now."

"You do, do you?" Brian pulled Justin in for a sweet kiss. "I would have thought you'd have had enough."

"Somebody once told me that there's never enough."

"Somebody may live to regret those words."

"But not tonight."

"No, not tonight," Brian agreed as they walked arm in arm up the stairs.

Chapter 9 - Work and Play and Death by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work and Play and Death

Brian sipped his coffee at the kitchen table. He needed to get dressed and head out to the gym for his Saturday workout, but he didn't feel the least bit like doing that. Justin had given him quite the workout the previous night. He squirmed in his seat still feeling the dull burn of Justin's cock up his ass.

He thought back to Emile's and their activities between the courses of their meal. He really should go to the gym. He must have eaten at least triple the amount of calories he normally would have ingested, but he had wanted to make the evening special for Justin. And it had been special.

Brian stared off into space. Justin was still asleep upstairs. He could just head back up and curl himself around his boy. They could sleep as long as they wanted and then they could fuck. That would be a perfect day. But he really should go to the gym.

With a heavy sigh Brian stood up. He would be good. He was getting too old to ignore all those calories. He would hit the gym. He walked over to the phone on the wall prepared to call Michael and see if the boys would be there. The light flashing on the base told him he had messages. He had meant to check them last night before Justin had dragged him upstairs. Brian smiled at the memory and his dick responded accordingly.

After a momentary hesitation Brian pushed the message button. He expected to hear Michael's voice asking him if he'd be at the gym today, or Lindsay wondering if he was coming to see Gus. Instead a voice he hadn't heard for quite a while caught his attention.

"Brian," the voice said. "Brian, if you're there, please pick up." There was a long sigh. "Brian, it's Trip Bedford. I really need to talk to you. Call me as soon as you get this …

please!"

There was something in Trip's voice that didn't sound right. Brian frowned. Trip wouldn't have called if it hadn't been something important. His voice sounded almost desperate.

Brian walked to the family room and scrolled through the Rolodex of numbers that sat on the desk. He was pretty sure Trip's was in there. Finally he found it. He picked up the phone, dialed the number and waited for it to ring.

"Brian," Trip's voice came over the line.

"What's wrong?"

"It's dad. He had another heart attack last night."

"Shit! I'm sorry. How's he doing?"

"He died around 6 am this morning. There didn't seem to be much they could do. His heart was just too weak."

Brian grimaced. He liked Jerome Bedford. He even admired the man. He was very sorry to hear what had happened. "Is there anything I can do?"

"Not really," Trip admitted with some hesitation. "I've started on the funeral arrangements. I think it will be next Tuesday. That will give some relatives and business associates who are far away time to attend."

"That's good."

"You'll be here, won't you?" Trip asked.

Brian could hear the longing in Trip's voice. He must be so lonely all of a sudden. Trip and his father had always been close, had even lived together in different wings of the same house. "Of course, I will. And if there's anything else I can do, anything that you need…"

"There is," Trip said. "if you really mean it, I could use some moral support. Could you come out here maybe today or tomorrow?"

"I … I don't know," Brian hesitated. He knew Justin would not like this at all.

"Please, Brian. I need someone I can lean on."

"Okay, okay. I'll see what arrangements I can make, and I'll get back to you."

"Thank you. I really need someone. I really need you."

Brian blinked. He had stayed away from Trip all these months for a very good reason. When they were together their mutual attraction was very strong. So far Brian had resisted and Trip had done the same, not that he hadn't tried to seduce Brian a couple of times. Now he and Trip would be together if he went to Indianapolis, and without the leveling influence of the elder Bedford.

"I'll see what I can do," Brian repeated and cut the connection.

How the fuck was he going to explain this to Justin?

"Who was that?" Justin asked coming into the kitchen. He headed for the coffee pot pouring himself a mugful. "Brian?" he said when there was no response to his question.

Brian ran his hand through his hair. "It … it was some bad news."

"Bad news? What happened?"

"Jerome Bedford died this morning."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I know how much you liked and respected him."

"Yes, I did. He was one of the finest people I ever met."

"Are you going to the funeral?"

"Of course, but when I talked to Trip just now, he wants me to come tomorrow or even today if I can arrange it."

"I see," Justin said slowly. Brian was sure that Justin saw a lot more than Brian wanted him to see. "So when are you leaving?"

"I haven't made any arrangements yet."

"I guess I should have asked how soon you wanted to leave."

"Trip sounded … shaky. I think he needs someone to help him. He and his father were very close."

Justin studied his partner. He hated the thoughts of Brian rushing to Trip Bedford's side, even if the reason was one as horrible as this. Trip had wanted Brian from the first time they had met, but somehow Brian had resisted even though the attraction between the two was so evident. Without Trip's father being present Justin could only imagine what might happen, and his imagination did not allow for a good outcome.

"Then you should go," Justin said.

"I should?" Brian asked. "I thought you'd be totally opposed."

"I didn't say I like it, but I understand why you need to go."

Brian looked at his surprisingly mature partner. "You never cease to amaze me."

"Sometimes I amaze myself."

"You … you could come with me," Brian suggested. He wasn't really sure that he wanted to be alone with Trip Bedford.

"How can I come with you? I start my job on Monday. I can't very well ask for the first day off. Besides I never even met Jerome Bedford," Justin explained.

Brian sighed. "I really think I should get to Indianapolis as quickly as I can."

"I agree."

Brian's eyebrow shot up. "I … I'm glad you feel that way."

"Why don't you call Cynthia and arrange things at Vangard and I'll go online to find flights for today or tomorrow."

"Justin," Brian hesitated. "Thanks."

"You're my partner, Brian. I know you have to do this. I'll help any way that I can."

"I see that and I do appreciate it."

"There is one thing you can do for me though."

"What?" Brian asked with a frown.

"While you're in Indianapolis, just remember that I am your partner."

"I won't forget," Brian promised. He grabbed Justin's arm before the lad could move away to the computer.

Justin looked up into the hazel eyes. He knew Brian meant to be true to him. He just hoped that good intentions would be enough.

"I mean it," Brian emphasized. "I won't forget."

"You better not," Justin said and smiled. That broke the tense moment and Brian pulled Justin against him for a warm kiss. "I'll be here when you get back."

"You better be," Brian said with his own smile.

A few hours later Justin stood by the check-in area of Liberty Air. Brian was talking to the attendant and checking his bag. He was planning to stay for almost a week. Justin studied his partner. No matter how much he tried to deny it, he could feel the clench of fear deep in his gut.

He knew Brian needed to go to Indianapolis. He understood why, and on some level he was proud that Brian wanted to honor Jerome Bedford with his presence. He also knew that Brian wanted to help Trip, wanted to be there to support Trip as he laid his father and best friend to rest. That didn't make him any less afraid.

"All set," Brian said coming up beside Justin.

"Good," Justin replied doing his best to smile.

"I'll try to come back Wednesday after things settle from the funeral."

"Take as much time as you need, as much time as Trip needs."

"I'll … I'll miss you."

"Hold onto that thought."

"I will," Brian said pulling Justin in close for a hug.

"You probably should go through security. It looks like there's a long line."

"Yeah."

"Brian."

"Yeah."

"I love you."

"I know."

"Have … have a good trip," Justin said shakily.

"I am coming back, you know."

Justin nodded and with a final hug and chaste kiss Brian disappeared into the security area. Justin let out a long breath and blinked back an unwanted tear. He had forgotten to tell Brian to call him when he arrived. He wondered if Brian would remember him when he came face to face with Trip Bedford after all this time.

As the plane slowed for the descent into Indianapolis, Brian frowned and stared out the small window beside him. He would see Trip Bedford in a few minutes. The man had promised to pick him up at the airport even though Brian had said he could take a taxi to a hotel. He knew perfectly well that Trip was going to insist that Brian stay at the mansion. And he knew he would acquiesce. After all he had come there to comfort Trip and he could do that better at the mansion than from a hotel in town.

The jolt of the tires hitting the tarmac brought Brian out of his reverie. He wondered what he would say to Trip. After saying how sorry he was about Jerome's death, what could he possibly tell the man? "You look good, Trip. You haven't changed a bit. I still want you, Trip, but that can never happen. Get your hands off me, Trip. We can't do this. Justin is waiting for me at home. Fuck, Trip, you smell so good. And you feel even better." Brian shook his head. He had to get a grip before he actually met Trip in a few minutes.

Slowly he walked down the jet way letting people pass him as they hurried along. The doorway loomed ahead and then he remembered that people couldn't meet you at the gate anymore. He still had the long walk to security before he would see Trip. That was good. He'd be fine by then.

As Brian walked out of the secure area he risked a glance around. His eyes had barely come up before someone grabbed him and pulled him into a bear hug.

"Jesus, Brian! I'm so fucking glad to see you," Trip breathed against his ear.

Brian hugged back and then tried to extricate himself from Trip's grasp. Trip held on for just a bit too long, and he was sure they both felt the mutual stirring in their pants as Trip finally released him.

Trip grinned at him at the same time that he wiped a tear from his eyes. "Do you have luggage?"

Brian nodded. "I can stay for a few days."

Trip's smile grew broader. "The car's driving around the loop. James will meet us when we get outside."

Brian nodded again. "He can drive me to a hotel."

"You … you didn't make a reservation, did you? I told you I wanted you to stay with me."

"I think it would be better if I stayed in town," Brian said slowly.

"No, Brian, please. You have to come home with me. I can't stand to be in that big house by myself."

Brian groaned inwardly. He had known this was exactly what would happen, and he had come anyway. "Sure, Trip," he said giving in to the inevitable as he yanked his bag from the conveyor belt.

They made their way out to the sidewalk where they waited in silence for James and the car to appear. Very soon the car pulled up. James scurried out to open the door for them and to throw Brian's bag in the trunk. Brian settled in the spacious backseat of the limo and Trip slid in beside him. Brian felt their knees brush together and Trip smiled at him.

"Trip, nothing's changed," Brian stated hoping to put a stop to what was already becoming evident to both of them.

"Everything's changed," Trip replied.

"No, no, it hasn't. Justin's waiting for me."

"Fuck Justin!"

"Trip, how can you say that?"

"Because I'm all alone, and I need you. I know you want me too."

"Trip…" Brian began but he knew he couldn't deny anything that Trip had said.

Trip leaned towards Brian and Brian held up his hand. He had to be strong. Nothing was going to happen between them. Trip sighed and melted back into the soft seats of the limo. He stared at Brian through hooded eyes. The ride continued in silence.

When they pulled up in front of the mansion, Brian reluctantly got out of the car. Maybe this whole idea was wrong. Trip was in a very fragile state and he obviously expected more from Brian than Brian intended to give. The only problem was, Brian knew he couldn't just walk away and leave Trip alone.

Brian took his suitcase from James and headed up the stairs to Jerome's side of the house. He was going to take the room he had always occupied when he visited the Bedford's.

"Brian," Trip called. "There's an empty room next to mine. Take it."

"No, I think it would be better if I stay where I've always stayed."

"Suit yourself," Trip said heading down to his own room. It didn't matter where Brian was as long as he was in the mansion. Trip would find him. "Oh Brian," Trip called down the long hallway. "Dinner in an hour."

"Sure," Brian said as he closed and locked his door.

Brian hung up his suits and unpacked his other clothes. He was tempted to take a shower, but he knew what he really needed was to talk to Justin. He fished his cell phone out of his jacket and hit one on speed dial.

"Hey," Justin's voice came across the miles.

"Hey," Brian purred. He relaxed into the sound of his lover's voice.

"Are you at the mansion?"

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"I know Trip a little. He wants you close."

"Too close."

"Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, no, I don't know. Trip's lonely."

"He's already come onto you, hasn't he?"

"I guess you could call it that."

"I trust you," Justin whispered.

"I wish I trusted myself."

"Help him and come home soon."

"I will."

Brian cut the connection and decided he would have that shower after all. Maybe if he was late enough for dinner Trip would have eaten and gone to his room.

When Brian appeared almost an hour after the appointed time, Trip was sitting at the end of the large table drinking. He looked Brian up and down. Brian could tell the glass of wine in his hand was far from his first of the evening.

"Took your sweet time," Trip said belligerently.

"Is there something to eat or are we having a liquid dinner."

Trip smirked and picked up the small bell that sat beside his plate. The gentle tinkle of the bell produced a maid who dished out the soup. Brian settled in a seat on the side of the table. Trip sat at the head of the table where his father had always sat before. But no more.

The soup was good and so was the rest of the meal. Trip drank more than he ate and Brian knew that was not a good sign. Brian declined dessert but accepted coffee hoping Trip would have some too. Trip had another glass of wine, port this time.

"Join me in some coffee?" Brian asked.

"No … thanks. I'll stick with the wine."

"How did I know you'd say that?" Brian mumbled to himself.

"What? You know you're bumming me out, and I thought you had come to help me."

"Maybe if you'd stop drinking and let someone help you…"

"Yeah, sure. I ask for your 'help' in the limo and you turned me down flat."

"I told you on the phone that I would help you with the funeral. I didn't say anything about fucking you," Brian said with a frown.

"You know what I need from you … what I want," Trip choked out.

"Maybe I should see if I can get a flight back to Pittsburgh right now," Brian stated standing up.

"No, please," Trip begged. "I'm drunk. I should go to bed."

"Good thinking," Brian replied watching Trip struggle to stand up. He was pretty well plastered.

Trip stumbled towards the door leaning heavily on the table as he proceeded. When he ran out of table he swayed precariously and threatened to fall flat on his face. Brian was instantly at his side grabbing him around the waist and allowing Trip to lean against him.

"I'm sorry," Trip croaked tears forming in his eyes. "I'm so fucking miserable."

"I know," Brian agreed edging the man out of the dining room and towards the stairs. He wondered if he'd be able to get Trip all the way up there and to his apartment.

Trip held onto Brian's shoulder and did his best to walk up the stairs. At one point he lost his balance and came close to tipping them both over backwards. Brian had a fleeting image of Justin finding them in each other's arms at the bottom of the stairs - with their necks broken.

"Come on, Trip. Focus! We're almost there."

They stumbled down the corridor and Brian opened the door to Trip's apartment. He had only ever been in there once before and that had been enough. He remembered the smell of leather and the masculine feel of the rooms. He dragged Trip along with him towards the bedroom. He opened the door and looked at the king sized bed that confronted him.

He groaned inwardly and hauled Trip over to the edge of the bed. He was sorely tempted to drop the man and run. Instead he lowered Trip onto the side of the bed and allowed him to fall back against the pillows. He seemed totally out of it, and that was good as far as Brian was concerned. Brian knew he should undress the man and tuck him in, but he refused to do that. Instead he slipped Trip's shoes off his feet and lifted his legs onto the bed. He grabbed the edge of the duvet that covered the bed and flipped it over the man. With a sigh he walked to the door looking back at his sleeping charge.

"Maybe it was a good thing that you drank yourself into a stupor," Brian said softly as he closed the door. He walked out of the apartment closing the outer door and made his way to his bedroom. He stepped inside and locked the door behind him. He needed to talk to Justin.

"Hey," Brian said when Justin answered.

"I didn't expect another call tonight. Is everything all right?"

"Trip's drunk. He's sleeping it off in his room."

"As long as he isn't sleeping it off in your room."

"Funny, I was thinking much the same thing."

"He sounds like he's a mess."

"He's very unstable. I wish … you were here."

"I wish I was too," Justin admitted. "But you're being a good friend. It's only a few days."

"And a funeral."

"No four weddings to go with it."

"Nothing to go with it except Trip's misery and loneliness."

"Brian, are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Brian said quickly. Then he rethought that statement. "Actually I'm fucking scared. I don't know if I can handle Trip … in the state that he's in."

"You could come home," Justin said hopefully.

"I honestly don't think I can leave him the way he is. If anything happened to him … I … I don't know how I could live with it."

"You don't think he'd do something rash, do you?"

"I honestly don't know."

"Jesus, Brian, now you're scaring me."

"I … I didn't mean to. I just needed a sane voice to talk to."

"How about a little phone sex to calm your nerves?"

"I like the sound of that," Brian said with a small grin. Justin always knew what he needed, often before he knew it himself.

"Are you naked?"

"No, you little twat, I just got to my room."

"Hey, be nice to me or I'll hang up."

"Don't you dare."

"I won't. You know that. So are you naked yet?"

"No, but I'm working on it," Brian said unzipping his jeans. "Are you?"

"Getting there," Justin giggled.

Brian felt his dick swell at that sweet sound. God, he loved that kid. "Your giggle just made me hard."

"I knew you were easy."

"Me!"

"Yes, you. I can always make you hard."

"That's true," Brian admitted leaning back against the pillows and running his hand up and down his dick. "Nobody does it like you."

Justin smiled. "Comfy?"

"Umm."

"I'm naked. I'm stroking myself and thinking about you, thinking about you lying on top of me and nibbling my ear. I can feel your tongue licking my collarbone and it sends shivers of pleasure all over me."

Brian saw the direction this was taking. Something new from his ever inventive partner. "My dick is hard and I can feel it reaching out towards you. It knows where it belongs. It's pressed against your belly while I kiss you so long and so hard that neither of us can breathe."

Justin moaned into the phone. "I can feel it. The tip is leaking and I put my finger through the slit and then into my mouth. You taste so fucking good."

"No better than you taste to me. I can feel you mouth around my cock sucking and pulling. Your mouth is so soft and warm and … that tongue of yours does the most remarkable things."

Justin giggled as he stroked his throbbing dick, pulling harder and more insistently. He loved hearing Brian describe what it felt like when Justin sucked him off. "I feel the head of your dick pressing into me and it's the most wonderful combination of pain and joy. It hurts a bit but it feels so damn good when you're inside me. I feel like I'm full, like I'm complete, like nothing can ever come between us."

"And I love being inside you. It's warm and tight and safe. I never felt what I feel with you with any other man."

"I love you," Justin whispered as his strokes became faster.

"I love you back," Brian groaned. "I'm close."

"Me too. You're pounding my ass and jerking me off and I'm so fucking turned on."

"You're tightening that sweet hole of yours and my dick feels like it's going to be cut off and there is no place else I ever want to be. And … and … and I'm coming!"

"Oh, fuck, Brian, I'm coming too."

For a minute or two all that could be heard over the phones was heavy breathing and little gasps.

"That was fucking awesome!" Brian said after a bit.

"Awesome!"

"You sure as fuck know how to talk dirty."

"Is that what I was doing?" Justin giggled. "I was merely describing the techniques of my most excellent lover."

Brian snorted. "Do you take lessons in knowing the right thing to say to an asshole like me?"

"No, I don't need to. I have years of practical experience in dealing with assholes."

"I am so fucked."

"And you love every minute of it," Justin chuckled.

"Yeah, I do."

"Feeling better now?"

"Some."

"I could stay on the phone with you all night."

"You'd do that?"

"If you want me to."

"I think I can probably sleep now," Brian said wiping the cum off his chest.

"I wish I was there."

"I wish you were too."

"You can call me any time you need me. You know that, don't you?"

"I know."

"So don't forget to call. I'll leave my phone on all the time."

"What are you going to do tomorrow?"

"It's Sunday so I thought I'd start with church followed by lunch with Debbie and dinner with my mother."

Brian snorted. "You are so full of shit."

Justin grinned. "Made you laugh. I'm going to sleep late so that I'll look youthful and well rested for my first day of work on Monday."

"Sounds like a plan, but I wouldn't try to look too young. They might put you in daycare."

"Briiaan!"

"Sorry, Sunshine, you asked for that one."

"I really loved our evening at Emile's. Thanks again for doing all that for me."

"I was really looking forward to you showing me your appreciation for that for days to come. And here I am a thousand miles away."

"I'll save up the appreciation till you get back."

"You do that."

"Have I told you that I love you?"

"Once or twice."

"Well, I do. I want you to come home as soon as you can."

"That's what I want too."

There was a long pause as each thought about being separated from the other.

"I guess I should let you go, so you can get that beauty sleep," Brian said finally.

"I suppose," Justin sighed.

"Good night, Sunshine."

"Good night, old man."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

There was a long silence while neither of them wanted to cut the connection. Finally Brian hit end and the line went dead. It would be a long time before either of them got to sleep.

Chapter 10 - Work and Play and Drinking by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work and Play and Drinking

Somehow Brian got through Sunday. Trip woke with an almighty hangover. He was rather contrite about his blatant play for Brian. Brian hoped that boded well for the rest of the visit and Trip would back off.

They spent a good portion of the day at the funeral home choosing a casket and all the trappings. Brian was always amazed at how much a funeral cost and how time consuming all the decisions were. He thought back to the death of a man who worked for him. His name was Jack just like his father's and he was dead just like his Jack and like Jerome Bedford.

Brian wondered how Jack's wife was doing and little Emily who was the same age as Gus. He wondered if she was growing up without a father. Maybe she had a stepfather, someone nice that her mother had found. Maybe she had moved on. It was the way of the world to move on.

Brian and Trip had then moved on to the florist who opened especially for them on a Sunday. The proprietor knew that Trip would be laying down an ungodly sum so it was well worth their while to open. Brian helped Trip choose some ostentatious bouquets knowing that Jerome Bedford would have preferred something much more simple and frugal. But this was Trip's tribute to his father. Brian didn't want to interfere. He bit his tongue and just made sure that Trip didn't choose anything too ugly or too huge.

By the time they had accomplished all that, Trip said they should find a restaurant and have a nice early dinner. Brian agreed and they found a pleasant place to dine. Trip started in on the wine.

"Trip, tomorrow you have to be at the funeral home all afternoon and evening. Don't get sloshed. You need your wits about you," Brian cautioned.

"I'll just have a couple of glasses," Trip conceded.

"You want to make your father proud, don't you? So two glass limit."

"That's what I fucking said," Trip scowled.

They ate in silence. Brian was glad to see food disappearing into the man and only three glasses of wine to go with it.

When dinner was over, Trip suggested they go to a club. Brian did his best not to be too blunt in his response.

"Trip, for Christ's sake, your father just died. Leave the clubs until the fucking funeral is over."

Trip looked properly chastised. "I can't face a whole evening with nothing to do," Trip said staring at the sidewalk.

"Let's rent a fucking movie. That ought to take up an hour or two."

"I guess Justin really has domesticated you."

Brian made a face but didn't say anything. They climbed into the limo and headed for the nearest Blockbuster store.

They spent the rest of the evening watching Spiderman I and II. Brian hoped he never had to watch it again no matter how cute Toby Maguire might be. Trip drank again but not as much as the night before. Finally Brian convinced him to go to bed and Brian retired to his own room. The first thing he did after locking his door was to call Justin.

"Hey."

"Hey, you sound in a better mood tonight," Justin observed.

"Trip's gone to bed and we didn't have any major confrontations this time."

"That's good. How drunk is he?"

"Not as bad as last night."

"So what did you do today?" Justin asked.

"Caskets, flowers, music. Fuck, I hate funerals."

"Sounds depressing."

"It fucking is."

"Only a few more days."

"So they tell me. What did you do today?"

"I actually did have lunch with Mom. She wanted to wish me well for tomorrow, tell me how proud I make her."

There was a long pause. Brian knew that Justin was thinking about his father. He would be wishing his father would call and tell him how proud he was and how he knew Justin would be a big success in his job.

"You're going to do great tomorrow," Brian said hoping that might help.'

"Thanks."

"Don't laugh but I spent the evening watching Spiderman I and II," Brian admitted.

"You didn't!"

"I did so. The sacrifices I make for some people."

"I can't believe you did that. You've seen those what … four times now?"

"Four times too many as far as I'm concerned."

"You secretly love them."

"Do not. I just happen to attract people who are crazy about comics."

"Yeah, you do. Me, Mikey, Trip. Who knew?"

"And I suffer in silence."

"Yeah right."

"I miss you."

"I miss you too. Want to … um … you know?"

"Of course, why do you think I called?"

"Asshole!"

Brian chuckled. They had an intense bout of phone sex with Justin using his best techniques to get Brian off and make him forget about Trip Bedford, at least for a while.

When breath returned to normal and clean up had been done, Justin asked, "So what do you have to do tomorrow?"

"Hours on end at the funeral home."

"You have to go?"

"No, but Trip really wants me there with him. I think he needs someone to lean on."

"You're a good friend."

"I hope so."

"Night, Brian."

"Night … Sunshine."

Brian went to take a shower. When he returned to the bedroom he lay naked on the bed thinking about Trip and Justin and the funeral. He hated funerals. He wished he was home in the loft, wished Justin was in bed with him, wished his dick was up his lover's ass. He groaned loudly.

"Brian!"

Brian jumped and sat up abruptly. There was a sharp rap at the door and someone jiggling the door handle. Brian knew immediately who it was.

"Brian. Let me in."

"Trip, you've been drinking again, haven't you? Go back to bed."

"Let me in … please! I'm so lonely. I need you."

Brian sighed and shook his head. "Go back to bed. I'm not letting you in."

"Please, just let me sleep with you. I won't do anything else."

"No, Trip. Not gonna happen."

"Please, Brian, please."

"No."

"I'm not going away. I'll sleep here on the floor."

There was a loud thud as Trip hit the floor. Brian knew he would never get any sleep knowing Trip was lying on the floor outside his door. He got up and threw on some sweat pants. He opened the door slowly only to have Trip fall over backwards into the room.

"Jesus, Trip. C'mon, get up. Here I'll help you."

Brian struggled to get Trip back on his feet. He tried to help the man out the door to take him back to his suite. Trip resisted and tried to stagger towards Brian's bed. Finally Brian gave up and let the drunken man fall onto his bed. He was sure there was another bedroom nearby where he could sleep.

He began gathering up a few things when he heard a strange sound. He stopped and listened. He looked over at Trip who had his face buried in the pillow. He was sobbing as Brian could tell from his heaving shoulders.

"Trip…"

There was no response just more muffled sobs.

"Trip, you have to get hold of yourself. Please."

"I … I'm sorry," Trip said from the depths of the pillow. "I don't know how to do that."

"You have to try."

"I will. I'll try."

"Good."

"Please don't leave me alone," Trip begged.

Brian turned to stare at the back of the man who still had his face buried in a pillow. He was such a fucking mess. Brian ran his hand through his hair. He went over and closed the door to his room. There was no need to lock it this time. The man he was trying to keep out was already inside. Brian walked slowly to the bed. He sat on the edge next to Trip and gently squeezed the man's shoulder.

Trip rolled onto his side to look at Brian. Tears stained his face and he looked so pathetic. But through all that he managed a little smile at Brian's tenderness.

"Stay with me," Trip pleaded.

"I'm here. I'll stay. Go to sleep," Brian said softly.

"Hold me."

Brian sighed and took the man into his arms. He slowly rocked Trip like he would do with a scared or hurt Gus. Slowly Trip's eyes closed. After a bit his steady breathing told Brian that he was asleep. Gently Brian released him and walked around the bed. He crawled in beside Trip and felt the man lean against him. Eventually Brian slept too.

The next morning Brian woke early. He looked over at Trip who slept on peacefully. Brian didn't want to wake Trip until he was fully clothed. Besides he knew Trip could use the extra rest before he had to face the day at the funeral home.

Brian dressed quietly and decided to go for a run around the estate. When he returned about an hour later Trip began to stir as Brian grabbed some clothes to take to the shower with him. Brian quickly entered the bathroom and locked the door behind him. He hoped Trip would be gone back to his own room by the time he came out.

Luckily Trip got the message and was not there when Brian reappeared. Brian dressed and went downstairs for something to eat. He found Trip in the dining room eating and thankfully not drinking.

"Morning," Brian said.

"Morning," Trip replied. "Thank you for letting me stay last night."

"I knew you needed company."

"I did. I didn't know how I was going to cope with today. I needed to know you were there for me."

"That's fine," Brian said trying to distance himself from what had happened. "Are you ready to hit the funeral home?"

"I guess I have to."

"Yes, you do."

"Then I'm ready. We should leave here about one. You are coming with me, aren't you?"

"I said I would."

Brian could see Trip visibly relax. He supposed this was for the best. Nothing had happened last night except for Trip's meltdown. Maybe he had finally realized that nothing was ever going to happen.

When they arrived at the funeral home, the manager met them and ushered them into a room. There was an open casket which Brian detested. They had to stand near the body and talk to all the mourners who presented themselves. Brian knew the thing in the casket wasn't Jerome Bedford. His essence was somewhere else.

Somehow they got through the day. They went out for a bite before returning to go through the same process with all the people who arrived at the funeral home in the evening.

By the time they got back to the mansion it was almost midnight and they were both exhausted. They said goodnight at the top of the stairs and each headed off to their room. Brian didn't think Trip would have the energy or the inclination to bother him after the trying day they had both been through.

Brian's call to Justin was short and to the point. A brief check about how each other's day had gone, a bit of phone sex and a reluctant goodbye. Brian sank into his bed and was asleep immediately.

----------

Brian could feel Justin's hot breath on his groin. He shivered at the feel and also at the fact that the covers had been pulled back from his upper body. He felt Justin's warm mouth engulf his cock and he arched his back. A moan escaped his lips. He licked his lips as the warm mouth moved up and down his shaft. He thrust involuntarily and Justin's mouth took his length. A few more thrusts and he came with a loud groan.

"Justin," Brian whispered reaching for the soft blond hair that hovered over his groin.

The hair felt strange and he opened his eyes. Trip Bedford looked up at him as he licked his lips having just swallowed Brian's load.

"Morning," Trip said with a smile.

"What the fuck…?"

"That was your wake up call. It's late."

"Trip…"

"Got to go. I'll arrange some brunch and then we'll be off to the funeral."

"Trip…" Brian began but the room was suddenly empty. "Shit!"

Brian flopped back against the pillows. How the fuck could this have happened? He had been sure that it was Justin sucking him off. How did Trip get in? Then Brian remembered that they had both been so tired after greeting people at the funeral home that he had been sure they would both sleep through the night. And they had. But he hadn't locked the door and Trip had taken advantage of that. How was he going to explain this to Justin?

An uncomfortable silence followed them around for the rest of the day. Brian didn't know what to say to Trip and Trip seemed more than satisfied with what he had done that morning.

When they arrived at the church for the funeral, Brian wanted to sit at the back by himself. Trip made it clear that he would not allow that especially since Brian was going to say a few words about Jerome. As a result they sat side by side in the front row of the church.

There was a minister and a couple of other speakers before Brian was called. They were kind of a blur. Brian climbed to the pulpit and had a fleeting thought about his mother seeing him up there like the preacher from Hell. He cleared his throat and drove away such thoughts.

"Jerome Bedford was an amazing man," Brian began. "He was one of my clients in my advertising firm, but he was much more than that. He was a gracious host, a kind and understanding confidant, a loving father and a gentle friend. If you were defining what makes a gentleman, all you needed to do was describe Jerome Bedford." Brian looked down at Trip who smiled up at him. "It is my hope that Jerome's son Trip will carry on that fine family history of honesty, integrity and caring."

Brian glanced at Trip before returning to his seat. He hoped his message had come across loud and clear to the father and the son. Soon the speeches were done and the procession to the cemetery was completed. The clods of dirt that each person dropped on the coffin reverberated somewhere deep inside Brian. He hated the thought of never seeing Jerome again. And then there was Trip.

There was food and drink back at the mansion following the laying to rest at the cemetery. Brian wondered if the day would ever be over. Trip seemed to be handling it well. It was like his visit to Brian's room that morning had given him some kind of renewed courage or energy. Brian didn't like that one little bit.

When they ushered the last guest out the door, Trip turned to Brian and said, "I need a real drink. Care to join me?"

Brian followed Trip into the library where a bottle of Beam was waiting for them on the bar cart. Brian had to admit that a slug of Beam would really hit the spot. Brian downed his in one gulp and held out the glass for a refill. Trip poured Brian another and one for himself.

"What the fuck did you think you were doing in my room this morning?" Brian demanded deciding he had held this in far too long.

"Having my way with you," Trip smirked.

"Trip, for God sake, what were you trying to do?"

"Do you really want an answer to that question?"

"Yes, I do."

"I came to wake you up, and I was totally surprised to find your door unlocked. I know you think you can lock me out but it's not that easy.

"Apparently."

Trip ignored the jibe. "So when I knocked and you didn't answer I tried the door, and lo and behold, it opened."

"And you just had to come in."

Trip nodded. "I wanted to look at you. You're beautiful naked. Hell, you're beautiful any way at all."

"So you pulled the covers off and had a good look."

Trip nodded again. "You know I want you. And you had some morning wood. It looked so tempting I just couldn't resist."

"I bet!"

"I'm serious. You are quite irresistible. You seemed to think I was Justin, which was fine with me."

"I did think you were Justin, otherwise I wouldn't have…" Brian let that trail off.

"Oh yes you would. I must be at least as good as Justin if you couldn't tell the difference."

"I was thinking of Justin, not you."

"The outcome was the same," Trip smirked.

"I think it's time for me to go home," Brian said turning on his heel with every intention of getting out of there immediately.

"Wait," Trip said loudly. "Don't go yet. I … I really appreciate everything you've done. Don't leave like this."

"Why not? I think we're through. I'm scheduled to go tomorrow anyway."

"Stay tonight. Let me take you out somewhere … one last time."

Brian knew he should just leave, but he didn't want his friendship with Trip to end like this. "All right, I'll stay until tomorrow morning, but no more … you know."

"Okay," Trip agreed. "Let's go to that club I took you to last time you visited. You liked it, didn't you?"

"Yeah."

"It'll help me forget … everything."

"Okay, but I'm going to lie down for a while. This fucking funeral stuff sucks all the life out of me. Oh, and the door will be locked."

"Thanks," Trip said in a very small voice.

Brian headed upstairs. It was afternoon in Pittsburgh so Justin wouldn't be home from work yet. He really hadn't asked him much about his job yesterday. He had been so tired after talking to all those people at the funeral home. He would be sure to ask Justin tonight.

Brian pulled off his funeral clothes and crawled under the sheets. He needed to relax and forget about funerals … and Trip Bedford.

When Brian awoke it was dark. He realized he had slept much longer than he thought he would. He felt an overwhelming need to talk to Justin. He picked up his phone and hit speed dial. It went to voicemail.

"Shit!" Brian griped as he waited for the message to end. "Justin, it's me. I … I miss you. Trip wants to go out to a club now that the whole funeral thing is over with. Don't know what time we'll get back. I'll try to call you. I'm coming home tomorrow."

Brian shut off his phone and went to take a shower. Some time later he met Trip in the library. Obviously the man had been drinking … again.

"Are you ready to go?" Brian asked.

"Shuure," Trip slurred.

"Have you been drinking the whole time I was upstairs?"

"Not quite."

"Let's go," Brian said frowning with distaste.

They made their way out to the limo and very quickly James had them at the club.

"Pick us up around one," Brian said as Trip made no mention of how they would get back. James nodded and got back into the car.

Trip and Brian entered the club. Trip seemed to have sobered up a bit on the ride from the mansion. He wanted to dance. Brian agreed hoping to keep Trip away from the bar at least for a while.

They actually had a good time at the club. Brian had forgotten what a good dancer Trip was. When he wasn't drunk Trip was an interesting, intelligent companion. They were a very striking couple when they were together.

By the time James picked them up they had had a couple of bumps and several drinks, but they had also had a very good time. Laughing and falling all over each other they got into the limo. Trip pulled a bottle of Beam from the liquor compartment and they tossed back shots on the drive home.

Trip took the remainder of the bottle with him as he and Brian climbed the stairs to their rooms. "Come and have one last drink in my apartment," Trip invited Brian.

Against his better judgment Brian agreed knowing that in the morning he would go back to Pittsburgh and Justin. He found a comfy leather armchair in Trip's apartment and accepted the large glass of Beam that Trip poured for him.

"Here's to my father," Trip said saluting with his glass of liquor.

"To Jerome," Brian said downing a good portion of his drink.

"And here's to you, Brian. I don't know how I could have possibly gotten through this without you."

"You're welcome. I was happy to help."

"The only problem now is where do I go from here."

"You have your whole life in front of you," Brian said. "You have money and the chance to do anything you want."

"The only thing I want to do is you," Trip said with a lopsided grin.

"Don't start," Brian cautioned.

"I know you don't like to hear that, but it's the truth. What good is money if I'm alone and so fucking unhappy."

"Could we just have a friendly drink and then I'll go to my room?" Brian asked not wanting to get into this whole mess once again.

"Sure, I'll shut up."

"I don't want you to shut up. I want us to be friends but that's all I want us to be."

"So what will you be doing when you get back to Pittsburgh?" Trip asked taking a different ploy.

"Don't know exactly. I'm sure there will be accounts to win, execs to dazzle…"

"And nobody dazzles like you."

"Thanks," Brian said.

Trip smiled. "You are extremely good at what you do."

"I'm good at a lot of things. In fact I'm fucking brilliant."

Trip laughed. "That's what I like about you. You're so modest."

"No shit!" Brian grinned. "I could use another drink," he added holding out his glass.

Trip poured and then sat back down. "I was thinking that maybe I should consider doing some charity work … in my father's name."

"He would like that."

"Yeah, he would. Any suggestions?"

"I did some stuff for the local gay and lesbian center. Some of the proceeds went to the AIDS hospice. What about something like that?"

"That sounds good," Trip said brightening up. "What did you do?"

"I ran a carnival to raise money for them."

"A carnival? That sounds like fun."

"It was … different."

"Tell me about it."

"I invented some games. My favorite was Butthole Bingo. This guy shot the balls out his ass. It was the funniest damn thing."

"I bet. Does he travel?"

"I'm sure he could be persuaded. He's very talented."

They both laughed and Trip moved over to sit on the arm of Brian's chair.

"I would love to see that guy perform," Trip chuckled.

"It's a sight to behold."

"What other stuff did you have?"

"We had Ring Toss."

"And how did that work?"

"Oh, you know, an erect penis and a plastic ring. Toss it onto said penis and win a prize."

"No!"

"Oh yes!"

"That's genius. What was the prize?"

"Guess."

"A good fuck with that erect penis."

"Only if you are a bottom," Brian chuckled.

"I am."

"I know."

"And you're a consummate top."

"Of course."

"Could we have a demonstration?" Trip asked the lust clear in his voice.

"Trip," Brian said but it came out more as a moan than an admonition.

"Yes."

"We can't."

"Just once, Brian. That's all I want."

Brian blinked and somehow Trip knew he had won. He leaned down and his lips found Brian's and the kiss held all the longing that they had felt for each other since they first met.

The kiss deepened and Brian felt his cock respond. Some part of him knew that he shouldn't be doing this but he wanted to. He had always wanted Trip almost as much as Trip had wanted him. Trip needed him and it would only be this once.

All thought escaped Brian's head as he felt Trip's hand squeeze his dick through his pants. He groaned and rammed his tongue down Trip's throat. Trip began pulling at his clothes and the next thing Brian knew they were naked on Trip's bed and he had a condom on his dick and it ached to be inside this handsome man.

"Fuck me," Trip begged, and Brian did. He fucked this man for all he was worth. There was nothing pretty or romantic about it. It was a hard fuck full of need and desire. They bucked against each other and Trip called Brian's name again and again. He had finally got what he wanted and Trip would not be disappointed. Brian knew he never disappointed.

When it was over and Brian pulled out, he felt Trip curl up against him and the man was asleep in a matter of moments. Brian looked at his handsome recent fuck and felt his stomach flip over.

"Justin," he whispered. What the hell was he going to tell Justin?

He quickly slid off the bed and recovered his clothes. The trip down the hall to his room seemed to take forever. As he opened the door he felt a shudder course through his body. He locked the door and headed for the shower. Maybe the hot water could wash away what he had just done.

Chapter 11 - Work and Play and Repentance by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work and Play and Repentance

Brian looked out the window of the jet as it taxied towards the terminal. Justin would probably be waiting for him. He wondered if he would be able to face his partner, be able to look him in the eye. He shuddered. His whole life could be over in a matter of minutes.

He thought back to his stupid night with Trip. Somehow he had known where it was going to lead. If he was really honest with himself, he had known. And he had let it happen. That made it all the worse. It made it that much harder to explain to Justin.

"Justin," he whispered barely audible. It was almost like a prayer although Brian would never have thought about it like that.

With a jolt the plane came to a stop and the seatbelt sign went off. Brian stood and stretched. Being in first class meant he would be one of the first off the plane. It would also mean that it would be that much sooner that he had to face those trusting blue eyes.

"Sir, you can exit now," the flight attendant said causing Brian to return to the real world.

He grabbed his computer bag and headed out the door. He walked the length of the jetway taking his time and allowing people to pass. When he came to the doorway, he half expected Justin to be standing there waiting for him. Then he remembered that only passengers could get beyond the security check point. He had the long walk to that area before he had to face Justin.

About halfway down the concourse Brian stopped and looked around. There was an empty gate nearby. He walked over and sat wearily down in one of the seats. He had to figure out what to say. He knew he was going to tell Justin. There had never been any question of that. But how did he tell him? He certainly didn't want to do it here in the bloody airport. He wondered if he could pretend everything was fine until they got home. Maybe in the privacy of their home he could figure out what to say and how to say it. There had to be some way that he could explain that would not cost him the most important person in his life.

It took all the strength he had, for Brian to stand and begin the remainder of the walk down the concourse. He felt like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and it was fucking heavy.

He passed out of the secure area and looked around. He didn't see Justin anywhere and he almost breathed a sigh of relief when he felt a gentle tap on the shoulder. He turned and looked at the sunshine smile that he loved so much. He felt his heart wrench in his chest. It felt like a fucking heart attack. He must have grimaced because the smile faded and a worried look clouded the blue eyes.

"Did I scare you?" Justin asked. "Are you all right?"

"Just took me by surprise," Brian said. "I didn't think you were here."

"I'll always be here … for you," Justin smiled relieved at Brian's explanation.

Brian silently willed those words to be true especially after Justin learned what he had done. "Let's go get my luggage," Brian said. He walked slightly ahead of Justin as they headed to the luggage carousel.

Justin watched Brian. He knew something was wrong. He just hoped it wasn't what he thought it might be. But Brian hadn't touched him, not even on his arm or a touch of the hand. That didn't bode well.

Brian's luggage appeared quickly and they walked towards the car. Justin lifted the suitcase into the back of the Jeep and climbed into the driver's seat. Brian opened the passenger door and then seemed to hesitate.

"Did you want to drive?" Justin asked. "I don't mind."

"No, no, you drive."

Justin pulled out of the parking garage and paid the toll. Once he was on the highway he glanced at Brian who stared straight ahead seemingly looking at scenery he had never seen before.

"Is something wrong?" Justin asked.

"No, why?"

"You seem very quiet. You haven't even said you missed me."

Justin saw Brian blink hard and take in a deep breath. He had a very bad feeling deep in his gut.

"I … I did miss you … a lot," Brian said slowly.

"That's good, but you might show a little more enthusiasm."

"I'm sorry," Brian said. And he did truly look sorry, almost forlorn. "What did you do while I was gone?" Brian asked deciding he better say something before Justin got into inquisition mode.

"Besides having phone sex with you, you mean?"

"Yeah, besides that."

"I went to work every day."

"Right," Brian replied. He had totally forgotten about Justin's new job. "How was it … work I mean?"

"Great! I love it there."

"So how did you get off at two in the afternoon to pick me up?"

"I've been going in early and working late all week. They have flexible hours as long as you get your work done."

"That's … convenient."

"Yeah, it is. You might try something like that at Vangard. I bet the people who work there would really appreciate the flexibility."

"Yeah."

Justin half expected Brian to make some sexual innuendo out of the flexibility remark. When all he got was a "yeah", he knew that something was definitely going on, and he was afraid he knew what it was.

Finally they pulled into the driveway and Brian looked at the house he had come to love. He didn't move.

"Are you coming in? We're home."

"Home," Brian said. "Um … do you have to go back to work?"

"Nope. Got the rest of the day to spend with you," Justin beamed pulling Brian's suitcase from the back of the Jeep.

"I'll take that," Brian said. He didn't want Justin fucking waiting on him.

"So what do you want to do?" Justin asked suggestively.

"Actually I'm kind of hungry. I couldn't abide that crap they were serving on the flight."

"Do you want to order in?" Justin asked with a frown. He had expected Brian to be all over him, especially since he hadn't even kissed him at the airport.

"You know what I'd like? Some of your famous pasta."

"Famous pasta? When did my pasta become famous?"

"Since I've been thinking about it all the way home."

"Oh, um, sure, I can make you some."

"I'll go and unpack while you do that."

Justin watched Brian pick up his suitcase and walk towards the stairs. Now he knew that his worst fears were true. This wasn't like Brian at all. He was avoiding the issue, avoiding touching, avoiding sex. That could only mean one thing.

As he waited for the pasta to boil Justin thought over his options. He was pretty sure he knew what had happened in Indianapolis. Now he had to decide what he was going to do about it. One thing he was not going to do was confront Brian. Brian had to bring this up himself. But he wasn't going to let him run away from it either. It would be a fine balancing act for him to pull this off.

The other part of the equation was what was he going to do once Brian told him. Somewhere deep inside he hoped it wasn't true, but he knew realistically that it was. What was he going to say when Brian told him? He wished he knew.

Justin looked in the pot and realized he'd left the pasta there for too long. Brian liked it al dente. Well, fuck al dente. Brian would get what he made and he better fucking like it. Justin quickly drained the pasta and tossed it with the vegetables that he had stir fried. He added a small amount of sauce, just the way Brian liked it. Fuck Brian!

"It's ready!" he yelled up the stairs hoping it didn't sound too strident.

"Smells good," Brian said coming into the kitchen in his black jeans and T-shirt. He looked good enough to eat, but all Justin wanted to do was punch him in the gut.

Justin slopped some pasta on a plate and thrust it at Brian. Brian gave him a funny look but didn't say anything. He carried it to the small table in the kitchen and sat down. Justin stood by the stove staring at his partner.

"Aren't you having some?" Brian asked.

Justin knew Brian wasn't ready to spill his guts yet. He could wait. He scooped up some pasta for himself and sat down across from Brian. They both pushed the pasta around on their plates and nibbled at a piece of penne every now and then.

"For someone who wanted my pasta so bad you don't seem to be enjoying it," Justin said after a bit.

"It's good," Brian replied. He didn't know what else to say. Except that he did know what he should say, but he simply didn't know how to say it. "I'm really tired," Brian said standing and carrying his plate to the sink. He dumped the pasta in the trash and put his plate in the dishwasher. "I'm going to lie down for a bit."

"Sure," Justin said refusing to look at his partner.

Brian shrugged and headed back upstairs. He needed some time alone so that he could figure out how to handle what inevitably was to come.

Justin watched him go and knew that Brian was still not ready to talk. He'd give him a couple of hours and then they would confront it. In the meantime he could figure out his own position.

Brian tossed and turned in his sleep. A guilty conscience did not make for peaceful sleep. Suddenly he felt lips brush his cheek and then his neck. He felt a hand rub his chest and he leaned into it.

"Justin," he breathed.

"I'm here."

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

"Can you ever forgive me?"

"I'm thinking about it."

"Does that mean you will?"

"Brian."

"Yes."

"Wake up, Brian."

"Um … what?" Brian asked rubbing his eyes. Justin was lying beside him on the bed. "How long was I asleep?"

"Almost four hours."

"Shit!"

"I think you need to tell me what's going on," Justin said deciding to take the bull by the horns so to speak.

"What do you mean?" Brian asked with a frown and wide eyes.

"Don't."

"Don't what?"

Justin let out an exasperated breath. "Don't play coy."

"I may be a lot of things, but coy isn't one of them." Brian could feel his temper rising. He didn't like being cornered and Justin fucking knew that.

"Yeah, you're a lot of things all right," Justin said sarcastically.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Whatever you want it to mean."

"Now who's playing coy?"

"Fuck me, Brian."

"Where the fuck did that come from?"

"You always want to fuck me, don't you? And I always want to be fucked."

Brian snorted derisively.

"Come one, Brian," Justin goaded him. He threw his body across Brian's and began rutting against him. He could feel Brian's cock grow hard. "See, I knew you wanted me." Justin's hand reached for Brian's hard-on.

"I always want you," Brian groaned, "but not now."

"Why not? Why not, Brian? Come on, tell me."

"Justin."

"That's my name. Talk to me."

"Not now," Brian said as forcefully as he could without actually shouting.

"Then fuck me."

"Stop."

"I'm not going anywhere until you talk to me."

"And when I'm finished talking to you, then you will." The statement was made matter of factly and it hung in the air for a minute, like a lead weight suspended over their heads.

"Don't make assumptions."

Brian grimaced and shook his head. He knew what was going to happen. And he dreaded it.

"Brian, please," Justin said softly.

"You'll be sorry. I'll be sorry."

"This from the man who doesn't believe in sorry."

"I am sorry."

"About what?"

"I think you know."

"You're not getting off that easy. Say it."

"I don't know if I can."

"You can."

"All right. All right. I fucked Trip."

"I knew it," Justin said staring at Brian and feeling the anger build in his chest. "I fucking knew it."

"I'm sorry."

"I heard you before. Is that supposed to make it all right?"

"I didn't mean to," Brian said pathetically.

Justin snorted. "You are an asshole."

"I know," Brian said forlornly.

"Why?"

"Why what?" Brian asked with a frown.

"Why the fuck did you do it?"

"I wish to Christ I knew."

"Oh, you know, and I want to hear you say it."

"What do you mean?"

"I want to hear your version of why you did it."

"My version?"

"That's right. Your version. I want to know why you think this happened."

Brian stared at his partner like he had two heads. "Fuck, Justin, do we have to do this?"

"Yes," Justin said leaving no room for negotiation.

Brian let out a long sigh knowing he wasn't going to get out of this easily, at least not if he wanted to keep Justin around. "You know we've always been attracted to each other."

"I know that every man, woman and child is attracted to you, and I know that you have a dick with a mind of its own. But I also know that you have a brain and a will of your own. Why didn't you use those?"

"Because I'm pathetic."

"That's a given."

Brian raised his eyebrows but got no hint of sympathy from Justin. "Because he wanted me so much and he was so sad."

"A mercy fuck?"

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that."

"I thought not."

"Although there was an element of that to it."

"I bet."

"Because I had had too much to drink," Brian added.

"We're getting closer," Justin said with a nod of his head.

"And I wanted him."

"And the truth wins out."

"You've known I wanted him for a long time."

"And you never acted on it," Justin reminded him.

"But Trip was so vulnerable, so needy, so relentless."

"That's quite a combination of traits. Do I take it that you just couldn't resist him after all this time?"

"That's partly true. I decided, and I guess that is the truth, that I needed to know what it would be like."

Justin stared into the hazel eyes. "And now you know."

"Now I know," Brian sighed.

"So how was he?"

"Isn't that my line?"

"Not in this case, asshole."

Brian could feel the anger and disappoint bubbling just beneath the surface. He decided he better not try to be a smart ass. "It wasn't half as good as I thought it would be," Brian said honestly. "And I regretted it as soon as it was over."

"Did you now? Mr. no apologies, no regrets."

"You haven't heard me say that for a long time."

"Does that mean that you have regrets and you do apologies?"

"Isn't that what the fuck I'm doing right now?"

"Yeah, I guess it is," Justin admitted. "So Trip wasn't so great. Why?"

"Justin, I don't want to do this."

"Fine, then I'm out of here." Justin slid to the edge of the bed and stood up.

"Wait, don't go, please."

Justin turned and looked at Brian. He sat back down on the bed. "Then answer my question."

Brian made a face that showed how distasteful he found this whole endeavor, but then he said, "He's a total bottom."

Justin laughed, a funny sound somewhere between a snort and a chuckle and a groan. "I thought you liked bottoms."

"Only yours," Brian said softly and Justin knew he meant that.

"So what's the difference between his bottom and mine?"

Brian chuckled. "Let's see. Your bottom is world class and his isn't. Your bottom is flawless and his isn't. You're much more than just a bottom. You're a demanding and creative little shit. You're a consummate top when you want to be. You're my equal and sometimes my better."

Justin felt a tear well up and he swallowed hard trying to keep it at bay. "Seriously?" he whispered.

"Seriously."

Justin leaned in and kissed Brian gently. "Thank you … for that."

"You're welcome. I … I know I still don't tell you often enough how important you are to me, how much you mean to me."

"But when you do say it I know you really mean it," Justin said in a barely audible voice.

"You're so important to me. I can't bear the thought of losing you. That's why I had so much trouble telling you what I had done." Brian hesitated and when Justin didn't say anything he asked, "Why are you still here? Why haven't you walked out on me?"

"My walking out days are long gone. I'm in this for the long haul."

"No shit!" Brian said with a smile. His relief was evident.

"But I didn't say that I had forgiven you just yet," Justin reminded him.

Brian's smile disappeared and he drew in a breath. They obviously weren't done. "So what happens now?"

"What do you want to happen?"

"I want you to stay and not leave me."

"I think I just said I would."

"But you're going to make me pay, aren't you?" Brian asked.

"Oh yeah!"

Brian groaned. "Are you sure you want to stay with me?" Brian felt compelled to ask. "I wouldn't blame you if you left, even though I don't want you too."

"You're not the only one who makes mistakes, you know."

"Like Ian?"

"Yes, like Ian," Justin said with a laugh. They didn't need to use Ethan's correct name anymore. "You took me back."

"I know, but you were worth it." Brian smiled.

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Truthfully, Brian, are you sorry about what happened with Trip?"

"Yes. It should never have happened. I was stupid. But now that it's out of my system, we'll never have to worry about it again."

"Is that a guarantee?"

"Absolutely. You know my one time only policy."

Justin swatted Brian's chest as the phone rang. "Should I get that? It might actually be my office with some kind of problem," Justin said hesitating. They still had a lot to work out.

"Your office," Brian chuckled. "All grown up." He nodded towards the phone indicating that Justin should pick it up.

"Hello?"

"Brian, is that you? Brian?"

Justin let out a long sigh. "No, Trip, it's not Brian."

"Oh, Justin, could I speak to Brian?"

"Just a minute," Justin said using all his willpower to stop himself going off on Trip. He handed the phone to Brian.

"What is it?" Brian asked abruptly.

"You left without saying goodbye," Trip said in a sultry voice.

"I did that for a reason."

"Why? What reason?"

"Because it was a mistake, Trip. And it will never happen again!"

"It could. I'll be right here if you want me."

"I'll never want you. In fact, I'm not so sure I wanted you the last time."

"What? How can you be so cruel?"

"I'm a mean, selfish asshole. Just ask anybody," Brian said. He pushed 'end' and tossed the phone down onto the bed.

"So that's it?" Justin asked.

"Didn't I make myself clear?"

"Very. But I was waiting for you to tell him to go fuck himself in one of his chairs," Justin said with a chuckle.

"I'd never say anything so crass."

Justin's eyes opened wide. "Of course," Justin snorted. "It was all I could do not to tell him that I wished one of his chairs would collapse around him and he would die a long slow death trapped inside it."

"You have such inventive murder scenarios," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"I'm very inventive," Justin said capturing Brian's lips.

"We can't," Brian said pushing him away.

"What do you mean?"

"I have to get tested."

"Fuck, you didn't bareback with Trip, did you?"

"Fuck no! I'm not an idiot. But I'm not taking any chances with your health."

Justin smiled slightly at Brian's worries. "We could use a condom," Justin said.

"Do we still have some?"

"Right here," Justin said pulling a box from the nightstand.

"It's been so long."

"I know, but you're right. We should be safe."

"I'll get tested tomorrow."

"Good, but I want you to make love to me now."

"And I want that too. I'm sorry I screwed up."

"I'm sorry you screwed up too," Justin said with a wry smile.

"Are we all right?" Brian asked.

"I … think so. Don't get me wrong though. What you did … hurts."

Brian nodded. "I'll do my best never to let it happen again."

"But it could. And it could be me that does it."

Brian raised an eyebrow. "You?"

"I'm not perfect as you can attest to by what happened with Ian." Justin used the wrong name deliberately.

Brian snorted. "We're such losers."

"No, no, we're not. You told me what happened. If we're honest with each other we can get through anything. Any screw up!"

"You think so?"

"I know so."

"Have faith in us, Brian."

"I have faith in you," Brian said smoothing his fingers along Justin's cheek.

"That's good, but I'm just a man and I'll make my share of mistakes too."

"You are a man, a wonderful man."

"On that cheery note, are you going to fuck me, Mr. Kinney?"

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

Brian pulled Justin tight against him and the kiss went on and on. After a bit the kiss ended and Brian leaned his forehead against Justin's. "I love you."

"I know," Justin replied as he began unbuttoning Brian's jeans.

Soon they were naked and hard and ready. Brian sheathed his cock wondering what it would feel like to be inside his lover with the condom between them. And it did feel different. Nothing was quite as sensitive, as barebacking, but it was good nonetheless.

When they both climaxed, Brian leaned against Justin's back and said a silent prayer to whatever deity or life force or spirit that was responsible for giving him this wonderful man.

Brian pulled out gently and got rid of the condom. He handed Justin a tissue and the blond cleaned himself up.

"That was different," Brian said softly.

"Yeah, just like the bad old days."

"Were they bad?" Brian frowned.

"They had their moments."

"I wish I wasn't so fucked up," Brian said.

"We're all fucked up in one way or another."

"Have you forgiven me?" Brian asked.

"Didn't I just prove that I have? Work with me here!" Justin chuckled.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome and you can prove it to me again in a few minutes."

Brian smirked. "I can't believe you took this so well."

"I was fucking angry at you, and hurt, and worried. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do."

"So why didn't I see any of that?" Brian asked genuinely wanting to know.

"First of all, because you didn't try to push me away. Usually that's your first reaction. You think I'm going to leave so you push me out the door before I can do that."

Brian snorted. "I didn't realize I was so predictable." If he didn't love Justin so much, that would have been exactly what he would have done.

"I've got years of experience from the Kinney operating manual."

"I'm lucky that you do."

"Oh yeah! Fucking lucky!"

"You're still angry, aren't you?" Brian frowned.

"There's some anger there. I want to be enough for you, Brian. I want to be the only one. Even if I know realistically that that's not always going to be the case, it doesn't mean that I want it any less."

"I … I wish I could explain my feelings so rationally."

"You could."

Brian shook his head. "I don't think so."

"You don't have to be afraid. I can stand almost anything."

"I don't want to be trapped in Trip's chair when you collapse it around me and leave me to die," Brian tried to joke.

"I'd come back after a day or two, and rescue you."

"Promise?"

"Promise! I'll always be there to rescue you."

"That's the best thing you could ever say to me."

The kiss was long and sensuous and sexual. It was the perfect prelude to the next round of lovemaking.

Chapter 12 - Power Play by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Power Play

"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian said into the phone.

"When are you coming to get me?" Gus asked with the pout evident in his voice.

"I'm picking you up tomorrow morning," Brian said.

"Now!"

"I have to go to work, Gus. Tomorrow is Saturday. I'll come get you then."

"Will you bring me a present?" Gus asked coyly.

"A present? What did you have in mind?" Brian asked warily. His son had seemingly an endless list of things he wanted for presents. Brian was wondering if maybe he had spoiled the child a little too often.

"I want a Batman car," Gus stated emphatically.

"Life size?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"What does that mean, Dada?"

"How big, Sonny Boy?"

"Big!"

"Brian," Lindsay's voice came over the phone. "I've already told Gus that he has enough toys and he's not getting a Batman car."

"I see."

"So don't get him one."

Brian could hear Gus in the background going into full tantrum mode about how he needed the Batman car. All the kids in kindergarten had one and he wanted one too.

"He's in rare form today."

"Wait till you get to have him tomorrow. The pleasure will be all yours," Lindsay laughed. "Do you want to say goodbye to your son."

"Tell him I'll see him tomorrow."

"Chicken," Lindsay said. "And remember, no car."

"Yes, mother."

"What was that all about?" Justin asked as Brian replaced the phone in its base.

"Gus just has to have a Batman car because all the other kids in kindergarten have one."

"I see. So are you getting him one?"

"Lindsay says no."

"And we get Gus tomorrow?"

"Yep."

"Shit! He'll be in fine form."

"I know."

"Don't you dare tell me that you have to work and I can look after him," Justin threatened.

"I'd never do that to you, Sunshine," Brian cooed and pulled Justin in for a kiss that left them both breathless.

"I'm not doing it," Justin gasped.

"Of course not," Brian smirked, but just in case Gus was a handful, he would have Justin at the ready. He could convince the boy of anything with the right type of persuasion. He kissed Justin again and wished they had time for a quick fuck before he went to work. However, they both had jobs to go to.

Saturday morning they picked up Gus and went to the museum. The museum ran some kind of kids program that Gus really enjoyed and it meant that Brian and Justin had little to do other than help Gus when he needed it and watch that everything was going all right. No mention of the Batman car had been made since they picked him up. Both men had breathed a sigh of relief thinking that the little boy had forgotten about it.

Following the museum they went to the diner for lunch. Debbie made a big fuss over Gus as she always did and the boy basked in all the attention. He had his usual hot dog and fries. Brian picked at his meal and Justin gobbled his burger.

"What do you want to do this afternoon, Gus?" Brian asked thinking they could go for a swim in the pool.

"Shopping," Gus replied.

"Shopping?" Brian and Justin said in unison.

"He really is your son," Justin chuckled.

"What do you want to get when you go shopping?" Brian asked with a frown.

"Batman car," Gus replied in a matter of fact voice.

"You're not getting a Batman car," Brian said keeping his voice level.

"Pleeease, Dada," Gus wheedled.

"No Gus. Your mother said you weren't getting one."

"But Dada, I really want it." Gus tried to turn on the charm with his best smile.

"Sorry, Sonny Boy, but the answer is no."

Gus crossed his arms on his chest and his lower lip almost hit his knees as he went into full pout mode.

"Gus," Brian said. There was no answer, not that Brian expected one. "Time to take you home."

Gus kept his pout all the way out to the car and all the way back to the munchers. When Brian rang the bell, Lindsay answered the door with a questioning look.

"You're back early."

"Gus is mad at us," Brian said.

"You refused to buy him the car?"

"Exactly."

"Gus, give Daddy and Justin a goodbye hug."

"No," Gus said emphatically.

"Gus," Lindsay cautioned.

"No," Gus repeated.

"Well," Brian said looking at his son. "I guess we'll be going. I'll see you tomorrow, Gus."

"No!" Gus repeated.

"Bye, Gus," Justin said as he and Brian headed out the door.

"He is one stubborn little shit when he wants something," Brian said with a chuckle.

"And where do you suppose he got that from?" Justin asked climbing into the car.

"Not a clue."

Once they were safely home Brian nuzzled Justin's neck and started nibbling on his ear. Justin moaned slightly and pushed Brian away.

"How much longer until you get your next HIV test?" Justin asked.

"Eight weeks."

"Shit!"

"What?"

"I should make you wait until then before I put out."

"That'll be the day. You can barely last eight hours."

"Asshole."

"It's not so bad with a condom, is it?" Brian asked with a frown.

"Nothing's bad with you, you big oaf. But I liked it better the way things were before."

"And you think I didn't?" Brian asked raising his eyebrows.

"Then kindly explain to me why you did what you did."

"Are we going to rehash this all over again?" Brian demanded with a long sigh. He knew he deserved whatever Justin decided to dish out as punishment but he just wanted to forget that his transgression with Trip Bedford had ever happened.

"No, we're not going to rehash it, but it is important that we both realize what we have lost thanks to someone who shall remain nameless."

"Did you check the messages?" Brian asked changing the subject. The last thing he wanted to do was talk about Trip.

"No, I'll look," Justin said deciding to leave it alone for now. He was trying not to nag, but what Brian had done really pissed him off and it still hurt, no matter how much he tried to forgive the big asshole.

Justin saw the light blinking and pushed the button. Immediately he regretted his action as Trip Bedford's voice spoke to him out of the little box.

"Brian, I'm coming to Pittsburgh on Sunday. I'd love to see you. Give me a call and we can arrange something."

Justin resisted the urge to pick up the damn machine and pitch it across the room. Instead he glared at Brian who sat almost stunned having listened to Trip's message with disbelief. The man sounded so casual, like there was no problem between them, like he could just drop in for a visit, like he had every right to expect Brian to meet with him.

"What are you going to do?" Justin asked somewhat breathlessly. He was finding it hard to believe the gall of Trip Bedford.

Brian shook his head. What could he say? Trip's company was one of his oldest and best clients. How could he refuse to see the man? "I don't know," Brian finally said.

"You're not fucking going to see him, are you?" Justin demanded.

"Justin," Brian said running his hand through his hair. "Trip's an important client at Vangard. How can I not meet with him?"

"Give the account to somebody else … or tell him you're sick … or fucking shoot him! I don't care which, but you can't meet him. He sounded like nothing had happened … or does he just expect the same thing to happen this time too?" The tears behind his eyes burned wanting to flow. Justin fought them back.

"You know I can't do any of those things," Brian said slowly.

"So you're going to see him."

Brian nodded. "I'll have to."

"Are you going to fuck him too?" Justin asked as the first tear slid down his cheek.

"Of course not," Brian replied. He stood and started towards Justin. "How could you even think that?"

Justin held up his hand telling Brian not to come any closer. "Let's just say I've had lots of experience with the outcome of these situations."

"If that's the case, then you should know that the one time only policy is firmly in place." Brian made that statement hoping that Justin would see the logic of his words.

"Sometimes you are an even bigger asshole than I can ever fathom," Justin choked out. He turned away stung by Brian's words. They reminded him of the past, a past that he thought Brian had left behind him, but maybe not.

"What did I say?" Brian asked bewildered.

"Of course," Justin snorted, "you don't even get it."

"I was trying to reassure you. I told you it would never happen again."

"So why is Trip here?"

"I don't fucking know! But I won't be fucking him."

"That's what you said before you went to Indianapolis," Justin reminded him.

"I'm sorry. I never meant…"

"And that's the problem. You never meant to do it, but Trip got to you. How do you know it won't happen again?"

"I … I know it won't," Brian said lamely.

"Yeah, right!"

"Justin…"

"Don't bother, Brian. Call him back and tell him you'll be happy to get together. That's what you want anyway, isn't it?" Justin grabbed the car keys from the counter and ran out of the house. He had to get away from Brian, at least for a little while.

"Justin!" Brian yelled as the Jeep peeled away. "Justin…" But it was too late.

Brian paced the den back and forth, back and forth. He willed Justin to come home, but he dreaded it as well. Brian knew he would have to meet with Trip Bedford. It was business and he couldn't refuse, but he knew nothing more would happen between them. Nothing should have ever happened in the first place. If only he could control his goddam dick.

Maybe he could get Trip to accept someone else running his account. Brian mentally ran through the list of account execs at Vangard. Maybe he could get Phil Thompson to take over the account. He was good at his job and would do fine work for Trip's company.

The bigger problem was what to do about Trip coming onto him, and he knew that would happen. From the tone of Trip's voice on the phone it sounded like Trip expected everything to be fine between them, maybe even expected that Brian would want him once again. How was he going to convince the man otherwise without pissing him off and having him take his advertising account elsewhere?

Then an idea struck and he almost chuckled out loud. Justin would kill him, had almost killed him last time, but the idea had worked. Why shouldn't it work again? Brian picked up the phone and dialed Trip's number in Indianapolis.

When Justin finally returned a few hours later Brian was sitting in the family room watching a movie on TV. Justin looked at his partner and sighed. Brian didn't even seem to be upset about what had happened. Maybe Justin had been wrong to forgive Brian. Maybe they didn't have a future together. He turned away deciding to go upstairs and sleep in the guest room.

"Hey, Sunshine," Brian's voice caught him off guard. "I'm glad you decided to come back."

"I was just thinking that I had made a mistake about that," Justin said evenly.

"No mistake," Brian smiled. "In fact I think I've fixed things."

"Fixed things? How?"

"I invited Trip to dinner."

"You fucking did what?" Justin asked his anger rising.

"Now don't get your lovely little knickers in a knot. Remember last time Trip tried to insinuate himself between us?" Justin nodded. "I invited him to dinner at the loft and he saw how good we were together and he backed right off."

"That was then, this is now," Justin said with a frown. "What are you going to show him this time? How tense we are? How much of an impact his actions have had on our relationship? How he's come between us?"

"Not unless that's what you fucking want him to see," Brian retorted.

"Then what?"

"I want him to see what a loving partner I have, one who can forgive me and make me happy."

"And do I?"

"Do you what?"

"Make you happy? I thought we had both been fucking miserable the last couple of weeks."

"But not half as fucking miserable as we would be without each other. We can pull this off, Sunshine. I know we can, and then we'll never have to deal with Trip Bedford again."

"I think you've gone completely off your fucking rocker!"

"How so?"

"All Trip's going to see is that we're pretending everything is all right … when it's fucking not."

Brian winced. "So you've been lying to me ever since I came back, pretending that you forgave me." It was more a statement than a question.

"I … I've done my best to forgive you, but … but it's not so easy. You hurt me."

"But this could prove to you that I'm not going to do that again. I don't want to hurt you. I think this could work."

"I don't see how, Brian," Justin said softly. "I don't see it."

"Will you trust me on this one?" Brian asked moving closer to Justin.

"I'm not sure I trust you on much of anything anymore," Justin admitted.

"This one time, please," Brian begged.

Justin was always a sucker when Brian said please. It was rare that the man used that word and Justin always understood that it was something important when he did.

"If I trust you, will you promise not to hurt me again?"

"I'll do my very best," Brian said with a little smile.

"Okay," Justin sighed. "What the fuck do you want me to do?"

"First, look like you didn't just lose your best friend."

"I feel like I have," Justin sighed again.

"You haven't lost me. We can do this," Brian stated pulling Justin against him. The boy stiffened and then gradually let himself melt into the strong arms. He knew that's where he really wanted to be. No place else would ever do.

Sunday dawned clear and warm. The night before Brian and Justin had finally fucked using a condom and had fallen asleep on much better terms. Justin wasn't completely sold on Brian's plan but he was willing to give it a try, especially since he didn't have any better idea.

They collected Gus in time for lunch and took him shopping with them to the grocery store. Justin was determined to make a spectacular meal that would cause Trip Bedford to drool with hunger and envy. That would be the best revenge.

Gus seemed to have forgotten about the Batman car until they were leaving the market. "Can we go to Toys 'R Us, Dada?" he asked.

"No, Gus, we're not going to the toy store."

"But I need my Batman car," Gus protested hanging back as Brian tried to pull him towards the Jeep.

"Gus, behave. We told you that you're not getting a Batman car."

"I want to go home," Gus pouted.

"We'll take you home in a while," Brian stated reasonably.

"Now."

"Gus," Brian said ominously.

Gus paid no attention. "If I can't have my Batman car, I want to go home."

"I said later," Brian repeated.

"Now," Gus yelled hanging from his father's arm and starting to cry.

Brian looked at Justin who shrugged not really knowing what to do with the stubborn little boy. This was a side of Gus they didn't see very often. Brian scooped up his son, plunked him in the car seat and buckled him in.

"Stay!" Brian said pointing a stern finger and glaring at his son.

"I hate you!" Gus cried tears running down his face.

"Then hate me, but you're not getting a Batman car and we are going to our house," Brian said handing the keys to Justin.

Justin could see that Brian was shaking and was glad he would be driving. Brian hated raw emotion like this and having to discipline Gus in any way was one of his least favorite things. Justin started the car and squeezed Brian's thigh reassuringly. Justin looked into the hazel eyes and saw the tears that Brian was barely holding back.

"It'll be all right," Justin said as he backed the car out of their spot.

"This is the last thing that I need," Brian breathed out leaning his head against the headrest and listening to Gus whimper in the back seat. He closed his eyes hoping to block out the sound.

Gus went up to his room when they reached the house. He closed the door and refused to talk to Brian or Justin. Justin started organizing his dinner while Brian called Lindsay.

"He's locked himself in his room and he refuses to talk to us," Justin heard Brian explain. He listened to the side of the conversation he could hear. "I'd like to bring him home now," Brian was saying. "Why not? He's just trying to win a battle of wills. But we're having company for dinner. It doesn't matter who." This was followed by a long pause and a longer sigh. "Okay, okay, he can stay the night. I'll see what I can do. And no, I won't give in."

"Lindsay wants him to stay with us?" Justin asked as Brian came into the kitchen and replaced the phone on its base.

"Yeah."

"Why?"

"She seems to think he's trying to win a battle with us and if we let him win this one, we'll never be able to stop him."

"She's probably right. You know he has that major stubborn streak going for him."

"So I'm beginning to realize."

"What are we going to do with him when Trip gets here?" Justin felt compelled to ask.

"I guess I'll go up and tell him we're having company and give him the option of staying in his room or coming down and joining us."

"What do you think he'll do?"

"If he's smart, he'll stay in his room with all the toys and books and crap that any kid could ever want."

"Except for a Batman car," Justin reminded him.

"Yeah, except for a fucking Batman car."

"Should I fix him a plate for supper?"

"Lindsay says she has the rule when he gets like this that he doesn't eat until he can come to the table and be civil, so no din-din for the little guy."

"But he didn't get any lunch," Justin protested. He went straight upstairs when we got home."

"I know, but if he's hungry he can always come down and have dinner with us."

Justin groaned. "That's all we need. Trip will love seeing the tension between you and your son and me caught in the middle."

"As I said, any smart kid would stay in his room. Let me go talk to him."

When Brian returned Justin had the dinner in the oven and was laying out the hors d'oeuvres.

"So what was the verdict?"

"He cried some more and said he was staying in his room."

"Do you think he'll be all right?"

Brian shrugged. "What the fuck do I know about kids?"

Just then the doorbell rang. "Show time!" Justin called as Brian went to the door.

Brian opened the door to a smiling Trip. "Come in," he said formally.

"It's so good to see you again," Trip said grabbing Brian in a hug before the man could stop him.

"Nice to see you, Trip," Justin said coming up behind Brian.

Trip released Brian and looked questioningly from one man to the other. "I … I thought it would just be the two of us," he stammered.

"What the fuck would give you that idea?" Brian asked with a smirk.

"Um … nothing. I guess I got the wrong idea."

"I guess you wanted to get the wrong idea," Brian clarified. He glanced at Justin giving him a reassuring smile.

"Come into the family room," Justin said. "We've got hors d'oeuvres and we can have a drink."

"Thanks," Trip said looking around the foyer. "Are these all your work, Justin?" he asked looking at the wall of sketches that Brian had had framed for Justin's graduation.

"Yes, they are," Justin smiled.

"You're very good," Trip stated looking at Justin a little more clearly.

"Thanks."

They sat in the family room picking at the hors d'oeuvres and trying not to drink too much. They made chitchat as best they could. After a while Justin went to look at dinner and Trip slid closer to Brian.

"Why didn't you tell me he was still here?" Trip whispered.

"Where else would he be?"

"I thought you would have got rid of him … or he would have kicked you out."

"Shows what you know," Brian smirked.

"But we were so good together," Trip tried to protest.

"Trip," Brian sighed swiping his hand across his face. "Nothing important happened between us. It was a once only thing … never to be repeated."

"But…"

"So, did I miss anything?" Justin asked returning from the kitchen.

"Not at all," Brian said pulling Justin down next to him and kissing his cheek.

Justin watched Trip grimace and look away. Obviously more had been going on than Brian was letting on.

"This is a great house," Trip said. "Do you do a tour, Brian?"

"We can show you around," Brian replied stressing the word 'we'. "That is, if there's time before dinner's ready."

"Sure," Justin agreed. He didn't mind showing Trip the house, but he wasn't sure he wanted him in their bedroom. Maybe he could sidetrack him when they got upstairs. He led Trip and Brian through the downstairs taking them briefly outside to see the pool. Then they proceeded upstairs. Trip seemed impressed with the house, but Justin was well aware that Trip lived in a huge mansion in Indianapolis. He showed Trip the guest room and then Brian opened the door to their bedroom.

"Justin," a little voice called from behind the door to the remaining bedroom.

"Show Trip around and I'll see what Gus wants," Justin said. He walked over to the door and asked if he could come in. In a tiny voice Gus replied, "Yes," and Justin entered. Trip and Brian went into the bedroom.

"So this is the inner sanctum," Trip said looking around. He glanced at the sculpture in its niche but didn't really see what it was.

"This is it," Brian replied.

Suddenly Brian was shoved against the wall and Trip was kissing him. He reached up and pushed Trip away as hard as he could.

"I told you that was never going to happen again."

"I know you want me," Trip smiled.

"No, no I don't."

"Yes you do."

"Trip, you have to get control of yourself. I'm with Justin and nothing is going to change that."

"I want you. I need you. And I'm going to have you."

"Not going to happen."

"You feel things for me. I know you do," Trip insisted pressing against Brian. His hand reached for Brian's dick and Brian knew it throbbed in response.

"Stop it!" Brian ordered. "This is not right. I don't want you."

"Your dick says otherwise."

Brian laughed. "You have no idea what my dick responds to. Believe me, you're nothing special."

"How … how can you say that to me?" Trip demanded. "After what we did together."

"You mean that pathetic fuck in your house?" Brian asked cruelly. He'd had enough of this. "That was out of pity, nothing else."

"Brian, don't…"

"Trip, give it up. There's nothing between us. You need to get on with your life."

"I have no life without you."

"On the contrary, you will have no life as long as you hold onto this fantasy that we're going to be together."

"It's not a fantasy. It could be so good. Please, Brian."

"After tonight, Trip, I never want to see you again. I'm turning your account over to Phil Thompson. Don't call me ever again."

Trip opened his mouth to tell Brian that he couldn't do that when he heard a little voice say, "Dada."

"I'm here, Gus," Brian replied.

"Sorry, Dada," Gus said seemingly afraid to look at his father. When Gus did look up, he saw Brian open his arms and he ran into them. Brian found his arms full of little boy, one that was crying on his shoulder. He rubbed Gus' back and held the tiny body close. After a minute or two Gus stopped crying and looked into his father's eyes. "Sorry," he repeated.

"I know, Sonny Boy," Brian said softly. "Can you say hello to Mr. Bedford?"

"Hello," Gus said barely glancing at Trip.

"Come on, Gus," Justin said. "Let's go down to the kitchen. Dinner's ready and I'll get you a plate. Come down when you're through up here," Justin said to the two men as he took Gus' hand and lead him out of the room.

"Brian, I don't want to have to withdraw my account from Vangard," Trip threatened. "Don't force me to do that."

"You do what you have to do, Trip. But don't expect anything more than a fucking fantastic ad campaign from me."

Trip glared at Brian. "You'll be sorry. I could do so much more for you than that kid."

"You don't know shit about me and Justin, Trip."

"How can you treat me like this?" Trip asked.

"Because after your father's funeral you stepped across a line just like I did, but at least I realize that what I did was wrong. You haven't figured that out yet."

"It was not wrong," Trip declared. "It was beautiful."

"In your warped view of things maybe it was. To me it was a mercy fuck. Get that through your head once and for all."

Trip stood up very straight. "I've suddenly lost my appetite. I think I'll be going."

"Find your own way out. I have something to do up here," Brian replied with a decided edge to his voice. He just wanted Trip to disappear, to be out of their lives once and for all.

Trip turned abruptly and ran down the hall, then down the stairs and out the front door. He yanked open the door of his rental car and gunned it out into the street. Asshole Brian Kinney would pay one day. Nobody treated him like that.

Justin heard the front door slam as he dished up some dinner for Gus and himself. He smiled knowing Trip Bedford was gone, hopefully forever. He waited for Brian to appear but minutes went by and there was no sign of the man. Justin gave Gus his plate and they sat down at the kitchen table. They wouldn't need the dining room where he had spent so long arranging every detail, setting everything out so meticulously, trying to make just the right impression on someone who obviously didn't matter at all.

Upstairs Brian rolled their rings gently around in his fingers. His other hand caressed the smooth surface of the sculpture that held them. His breathing gradually slowed down. He hated saying those things to Trip, but the man refused to get the message any other way. Brian had thought they were friends, but that had all changed that night in Indianapolis and there was no going back. He released the rings letting them swing slowly inside the sculpture. He turned and headed downstairs.

"Dada, come eat," Gus said as he gobbled down the chicken breast that Justin had cut up for him. "It's good."

"I'm sure it is, Sonny Boy," Brian said leaning in and kissing the top of Justin's head. "I take it he left?" Brian asked.

"Tore out of here like a bat out of Hell. Never even said goodbye," Justin replied looking into Brian's eyes and trying to figure out what had happened between the two men upstairs. When Brian didn't say anything more, Justin had to ask, "What did you tell him?"

"Some cold hard facts that he didn't want to hear."

Justin was about to ask what those entailed when he noted Gus' quizzical look as he studied his father and Justin glancing from one to the other. This wasn't a topic for a little boy to be hearing.

"We should talk about this later," Justin said cocking his head towards Gus. "Let me get you something to eat."

"I'm not very hungry," Brian said.

"I spent a small fortune on this meal, and the least you can do is help me and Gus eat it."

"Yes, dear," Brian said in his falsetto voice. Justin smiled which was about the best thing Brian could hope for at that precise moment.

Gus giggled. "Good, Dada," he said shoveling pieces of chicken and potato into his mouth.

"Eat some vegetables too," Brian told him.

"No!"

"Gus."

"No!"

Brian was about to start in on the boy when he saw Justin's look. "Let it go," Justin mouthed.

"I guess I'll have to eat your vegetables as well as my own," Brian said trying a different tack. "They're the best part of the meal."

Gus frowned and picked up a carrot. He shoved it in his mouth and chewed finding it not bad at all. Brian snagged a piece of broccoli. Gus gave him another look and grabbed some peas.

When Brian reached for a carrot, Gus said, "No Dada, you have your own."

Brian stifled a laugh and took the plate Justin handed him. It was a delicious meal. Trip Bedford didn't know what he was missing in more ways than one.

"Want to watch a movie after dinner, Gus?" Brian asked.

Gus frowned. "Yeah," he said after a minute.

Justin and Brian looked at each other and breathed a collective sigh of relief. They didn't want another battle with the little boy.

"We'll let you pick what you want to see," Brian said.

"Okay," Gus smiled.

"You ready for Spongebob?" Justin chuckled

"Between Gus and Trip I've had enough power plays pulled on me today. I'll be happy to watch anything that doesn't involve an argument or coercion."

"Me too," Justin agreed.

Spongebob would be just the mindless nonsense that the two adults craved after all the battles of will they had just gone through.

Chapter 13 - Sex, Lies, and ... by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Sex, Lies, and ...

Brian thrust into Justin hard. He wanted this to be good for both of them. He continued to ram Justin's sweet ass feeling his orgasm build. He reached beneath Justin and started stroking him off. He could feel Justin freeze for a second and then quickly he was coming in Brian's hand. Brian tugged a few more times as he felt Justin shudder beneath him. Then Brian was coming filling the condom and finally rolling away. He looked over at Justin to see what was on the young man's face. It wasn't the expression he was looking for.

"Was it good for you?" Justin asked staring up at the ceiling of their bedroom.

"Yeah," Brian replied reaching for a cigarette. He had been smoking a lot more since the Trip thing. And now he was lying; something he never did. It hadn't been very good, mediocre at best. He frowned at that realization as he flicked his lighter.

"Don't," Justin said touching his hand. That simple gesture was almost more intimate than what they had just done.

Brian set the cigarette back on the nightstand. He turned to look into Justin's eyes. "It's not that we're using condoms again, is it?"

Justin shook his head, his eyes suddenly moist. "It's all different somehow."

"I know. Why?"

"I don't know, and … you lied to me just now. You never used to lie."

"I lied because I wanted it to be the truth."

"But if it's not the truth, it's still a lie."

"What the fuck are we doing, Justin? Do you want me to move out?" Brian asked feeling the tightness in his chest.

"No! God, no. I don't want you to go."

"Then something has to give. We're just going through the motions. I hate it."

"So do I."

"Do you think we should go talk to Dr. Jamison?" Brian asked as the thought occurred to him. Dr. Frank Jamison had helped them a long time ago when things had been rocky between them.

Justin shrugged. "I don't know," he said softly. "I know I'm being stupid not letting this go, but I don't seem to be able to."

"I really am sorry that I fucked things up. Trip never should have happened, but he did, so we have to go on from there."

"Then maybe we should call Frank tomorrow," Justin said. "We need to do something before it's too late." Justin rolled over facing away from Brian in their huge bed.

Brian stared at Justin's back and wondered if maybe it wasn't already too late.

-----

The next morning Brian and Justin showered separately and met at the kitchen table for coffee and a muffin. They took surreptitious glances at each other neither wanting to broach the topic of counseling.

Finally Justin had to settle what was going to happen. "Are you going to call Dr. Jamison or should I?"

Brian winced at the reminder of the trouble they were in. "I can call from the office."

"So can I?" Justin volunteered.

"Are we going to argue about this too?"

"We haven't been arguing," Justin insisted.

"Maybe that's part of the problem. We need to get this all out in the open. A good fight might do that."

"All you want is the makeup sex."

"True," Brian smirked.

Justin giggled. For a split second he remembered why he was still there. "I'll call when I get to work. Do we want an appointment as soon as possible?"

"That might be best," Brian said.

"Brian, I'm sorry, but I don't know what else to do."

"I'm the one who fucking screwed up. Don't be sorry. You feel what you feel."

"It's what I don't feel anymore that scares me." Justin walked quickly out of the kitchen. He needed to get to work, but more than that he needed to get away from Brian. He couldn't stand the look of pain in Brian's eyes, especially when he knew it was beyond his power to fix it.

-----

When Justin arrived home from work he found Brian already there playing chess with Gus.

"Gus, I didn't know you were coming over today."

"Hey, Justin. Mommy had a meeting that came up un … unex…"

"Unexpectedly," Brian supplied. "Lindsay asked me to pick up Gus from kindergarten. Can he stay for dinner, Jus, can he, huh, huh, huh?" Brian teased.

"Of course, he can," Justin said with a slight smile.

Brian had hoped for more of a reaction than that. "I guess I better rustle up something for us to eat," Justin said and disappeared into the kitchen.

"We can order pizza," Brian suggested.

"I have some chicken that I can make. It'll only take a half hour."

"If you're sure," Brian replied.

"I'm sure," Justin called out. "I'm fucking sure," he muttered to himself. He resented Brian sitting and playing with Gus while he did all the work. In fact, he resented just about everything that Brian did these days.

"Dr. Jamison will see us day after tomorrow at four pm," Justin said as he put the chicken in the frying pan to brown it.

"That's good," Brian said wishing Justin hadn't mentioned that in front of Gus.

"Are you sick, Dada?" Gus asked with a frown.

"No, no, it's just a checkup."

"A reality checkup," Justin muttered to himself as he made salad.

Dinner was very quiet. Gus sat and watched his father and Justin eat in silence. He tried to figure out what was wrong. Maybe it had something to do with this doctor's appointment. But his father had said it was just a checkup. He'd had those, and they weren't scary.

"Justin, are you mad at me?" Gus asked finally, unable to come up with any other reason for Justin being so quiet. "You didn't ask me about school."

"I'm sorry, Gus," Justin said with a sigh. "What did you do in school today?"

"I made a picture of you and Dada," Gus said proudly.

"Did you bring it home with you?" Justin asked half heartedly.

"It had to dry," Gus said munching on a carrot.

"But you'll show Justin when you bring it home, won't you, Gus?" Brian asked prompting his son to keep Justin talking.

"Yes," Gus said looking at Justin who was pushing salad around his plate. "If Justin wants to see it."

"Oh," Justin sighed. "Sure, Gus." He stood and picked up his plate. I think I'll go for a walk. I could use some fresh air." He looked pointedly at Brian.

"Can I come?" Gus asked. "I like walks."

"Not this time, Gus. Don't you have to take him home?"

"I guess so," Brian said taking his plate to the sink and returning for Gus'.

Justin turned and walked out the front door of the house.

"What's wrong with Justin?" Gus asked with a frown. "Is he sick?"

"Nothing's wrong, Gus. Let's get your bag and I'll take you home."

"I want to walk with Justin," Gus whined. "You come too, Dada."

"Justin wants to be alone, and it's time I took you to your mother." Brian scooped Gus up and grabbed his bag from beside the front door. He buckled Gus into the car and roared off towards Lindsay's. On the way down the street they passed Justin walking along the sidewalk.

"Justin," Gus called but Justin paid them no attention. "I want Justin," Gus whimpered.

"So do I, Sonny Boy, so do I."

-----

A couple of days later Brian and Justin walked into Frank Jamison's office. The receptionist, Grace, greeted them.

"Mr. Kinney, Mr. Taylor, nice to see you again."

"Thanks," Brian replied. Justin stayed silent, unusual for him.

"If you'll have a seat, the doctor is just finishing up with a patient. He will see you shortly."

Brian and Justin sat down.

"Are you okay with doing this?" Brian asked.

"I said I was," Justin replied curtly.

"What the fuck's got into you?"

Justin glared at Brian always amazed by Brian's insensitivity to some things.

Moments later the door to Dr. Jamison's office opened and a woman came out. Frank followed her and said goodbye. When she had exited the office he walked over to Brian and Justin who stood and shook his hand.

"It's nice to see you both again," the doctor began, "but I hope it's nothing serious." When neither man replied, Frank motioned for them to enter his office. He closed the door behind them and walked around his desk taking his customary seat there. "So, what can I do for you?"

Brian looked at Justin who looked at the floor. Brian cleared his throat but nothing seemed to want to come out.

"Looks like some things never change," Frank said with a chuckle. "Don't both of you speak at once."

"Um … doc," Brian said hesitantly. "I … I've done something that has upset Justin a great deal. I've apologized profusely but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. Can you help us?"

"Has Justin accepted your apology?" Frank remembered how difficult it was for Brian to apologize. This must be something big.

Brian looked at Justin who continued to stare at the floor. Finally Brian said, "He said he did, but nothing's the same as it was before."

"Do you agree with that, Justin?" Frank asked.

Justin nodded. "Nothing is the same."

"So maybe we better go back a step, and you can tell me what you did that you're apologizing for." Frank stared at Brian.

Brian blinked and looked at the floor. "I fucked a guy after we had agreed that we wouldn't do that."

"I see. Was this a random thing or was the man something special?"

Justin glanced at Brian waiting to hear how he would answer that. "It … it wasn't random, but he's nothing special," Brian said softly. He ventured a glance at Justin. Justin's blue eyes told him nothing.

"So are you telling me that you risked your relationship with Justin over someone who was not very special?" Frank asked.

Brian sighed. "This man … Trip Bedford, we'd been attracted to each other since we first met, but I made it clear that nothing would ever happen."

"Then why did it?" Frank probed when Brian seemed to hesitate.

"His father died and I went out to Indianapolis to be with him."

"And Justin didn't go?"

"No."

"Why didn't you go, Justin?"

"I had just started my first real job. I could hardly take the first week off. And Brian promised…" Justin's voice trailed off as he continued to study the floor near his feet.

"It was circumstance that threw you together with Trip?" Frank continued.

"I guess you could say that. He was in bad shape. He and his father were very close. They lived in the same house."

"And so it happened," Frank clarified. "For whatever reasons."

"Yeah," Brian agreed. "I'm not trying to make excuses."

"I didn't think you were. What happened when you returned from Indianapolis?"

"I was a coward. I didn't know how to tell Justin," Brian explained. He didn't want to sound like he was whining, but he was sure that's how it came out.

"You could have kept it a secret," Frank offered.

"Believe me, I considered that," Brian admitted.

"Why didn't you?"

"Justin and I … we … we have a committed relationship. We don't use condoms anymore … or we didn't until this happened."

"And you didn't want to put Justin at risk?"

"Of course not. But how could I explain why we had to go back to using condoms without telling him the truth."

"The truth is usually a good idea," Frank observed.

"Usually," Brian said with a grimace.

"How did Justin take the news?"

Brian looked at Justin. "I'm pretty sure he had already figured it out."

"Had you, Justin?"

Justin nodded. "I could tell something was wrong as soon as Brian walked in. It didn't take a rocket scientist to guess what it was."

"You made Brian tell you though?"

"I wanted to hear him say it," Justin said hoping that didn't sound too petulant. "I wanted him to explain."

"And did he?"

"Not completely. I knew he and Trip had always wanted to get together, Trip more than Brian. I thought I could trust Brian even when I knew I couldn't trust Trip."

"So Brian's explanation didn't satisfy you?"

Justin shook his head. "I was hurt. I couldn't believe that Brian had betrayed us. I'm still hurt."

"Is that why you can't forgive him?"

"I did forgive him," Justin said simply.

"Then what's the problem."

"I forgave him with words, but it's not so easy to forgive him in my heart and soul. I know he's sorry, but what he did changed everything between us."

"How so?" Frank asked.

Justin shook his head. "I'm not sure I can explain it."

"Please try."

Justin sighed. "It's like it's all been spoiled. I don't think we can ever get back to where we were before."

Brian winced at Justin's words. He opened his mouth to say something but Frank raised his hand indicating that he should stay silent.

"How has it been spoiled?" Frank pursued.

"We were so happy before Brian went to Indianapolis. We had moved into our new house. We have great neighbors. I graduated from PIFA and Brian threw me this amazing party, even invited my father. I had a new job that I was proud of."

"So everything was going well."

Justin nodded. "I felt like we had finally got it right."

"And then Brian told you what happened."

"He didn't have to. I knew as soon as he walked through the door and was too tired to kiss me … or fuck me. I knew something had happened between him and Trip."

"And yet you forgave him … after all the things he had ruined?" Frank asked puzzled as to why Justin had done that.

"It's not like I'm blameless in this relationship. I've done my share of bad things and Brian has forgiven me."

"Things like Trip Bedford?"

"Exactly like that. His name was Ethan Gold. And Brian took me back."

"You felt you had to forgive Brian like he had forgiven you."

"Yes. And I really wanted to forgive him. I thought I could."

"But deep down you didn't forgive him, did you, Justin?"

Justin shook his head and stared at the floor once again. He watched a teardrop fall between his feet.

"I guess the big question now is can you ever forgive Brian?"

Brian looked at Justin with his head hanging down to his knees. At that moment he doubted that he would ever be forgiven. And he didn't really blame Justin. He had fucked up big time.

"Do you think you will ever forgive Brian, Justin?" Frank asked.

"I … I want to," Justin said without looking up. "But I don't know if I can. I've been trying."

"Have you … really?" Frank asked.

"Yes, as far as I can do it … I have," Justin said uncertainly.

"Then why are you here, Justin?"

"I thought you could help us, like you did before."

"I can only help those who want my help. Do you want to fix this?"

"God yes," Justin sobbed finally let the tears go. His shoulders shook as he realized how close they were to losing it all.

"Justin," Brian's strangled voice gasped. "Please don't, Justin. I'm so sorry."

"I can't help it," Justin gulped.

And then Brian pulled Justin out of his chair and into his arms. Justin let it happen, allowed himself a few minutes to feel safe in the strong arms, let the tears he had been fighting for weeks fall.

After a bit Justin realized that he had stopped crying and yet he was shaking like he was still sobbing. He could feel Brian trembling against him. He raised his face from Brian's chest and saw the tears streaming down Brian's cheeks.

"Brian," he whispered. "Brian, please stop."

Justin had never seen Brian so broken, so wracked with guilt.

"I've ruined it all," Brian gasped. "I should move out and let you get on with your life."

"I have no life without you," Justin said in a very small voice. His hands clasped Brian's cheeks and he forced Brian to look into his eyes. "I don't want this to be over. I want to fix it."

"I do too," Brian admitted. "But it sounded like you had given up, that there was no hope of that."

"I just don't know. I don't know how to do it."

"That's what I'm here for," Frank said finally intervening with the two desolate men. "Can you sit down and we'll talk about this?"

Justin pulled back from Brian who wiped at his eyes not wanting Frank to see what a fucking weak little faggot he was. He had forgotten that Frank was even there.

"I think that's the most honest we've been with each other since I came back from Indianapolis," Brian said sitting down and wiping his face.

"That's a good start," Frank said softly. "Pussyfooting around something this important is a slow death. It's time it all came out in the open," Frank advised.

"Do you think there's any hope for us?" Justin asked. He felt Brian's hand reach for his and he let Brian's fingers link through his own. Then he risked a glance at Brian's beautiful face. He didn't know what he expected to see, but the smile that Brian had when Justin hadn't pulled his hand away was truly glorious. Justin realized that it was a long time since he had really let Brian touch him in any way, shape or form. He smiled back, not much but just enough to let Brian know that there was still a tiny bit of hope left in him.

"I think you just answered your own question, Justin."

"Maybe so," Justin agreed giving Brian's hand a slight squeeze.

"I think we should stop there for today, but I'm going to give you some homework."

"Homework?" Brian asked.

"I finally got out of school and you're giving me homework?" Justin asked with a little mischievous grin. It was not lost on Brian or Frank. They both took the attempt at humor as a good sign.

"It's not book larning," Frank drawled. "I want you each to think of two times in your relationship when you have been really happy. Don't tell each other what they are, but come next week prepared to discuss them with each other."

"Okay," Brian agreed. "You know, Frank, we didn't accomplish much today but I feel better already."

"That's what I like to hear. And if you feel better then we did accomplish a great deal. How do you feel, Justin?"

"Better … a bit."

"That's good too. Every little bit of progress helps. I'll see you in a couple of days. Check the time with Grace at the desk."

"Thanks Frank," Brian said as he headed for the door. He realized Justin's hand was still clasped in his, and he knew he never wanted to let it go.

A few minutes later they walked out of the door of Frank's building. Their hands were still joined together.

"Home?" Brian asked.

"I guess so."

"Do you remember the first appointment we ever had with Frank?" Brian asked as they walked to the car.

"Yeah," Justin said softly. "I was having those terrible nightmares that were ruining our relationship."

"He helped us then."

"Yes, he did."

"Maybe he can help us now."

"I fucking hope so," Justin breathed.

"Do you remember the rest of that day?"

"Vaguely," Justin said as Brian finally released his hand and he climbed into the car.

"We picked up takeout on the way home. Want to get some Thai?"

"Sure," Justin said. "Should I call in the order and we can stop on the way by." Brian nodded and Justin pulled out his cell and placed the order.

Eventually they walked into their home carrying the bag of takeout. Justin set it out on the counter in the kitchen and Brian got plates and started dishing it up.

"Want a beer?" Justin asked.

"Several," Brian replied as he took the beer and then handed Justin a plate of food.

"The first time we saw Frank we were both disheartened. I remember feeling so much worse than when we went in there. I wonder why I feel better this time." Justin sat down at the kitchen table and took a bite of the food.

"Maybe it's because we know that Frank helped us before. I want him to work his magic again."

"There was no magic," Justin said with a funny grin. "He made me face things I didn't want to face."

"I'm not sure it'll be that easy this time," Brian said shaking his head. "I am such a fucking asshole. All those years that everyone told me that and I would just smirk. But it's actually true."

"Yeah, but you've always been an asshole with a big heart," Justin said trying to comfort Brian.

"Do you think we can get past this?"

Justin shrugged. "Do you?"

"I fucking hope so!"

Justin chuckled. "Me too."

"Have you thought of your two times in our relationship that you were truly happy?" Brian asked.

"I have something in mind. What about you?"

"I can think of once or twice."

"You can?" Justin asked with a little grin.

"I can," Brian grinned back.

"That first night after we went to see Frank, I remember neither one of us wanted to talk. I hated that silence."

"It was pretty grating," Brian admitted. "But I seem to remember that we eventually got past it."

"Yeah, we did," Justin smiled. "This is more than we've talked since…"

"I know. I guess that's part of Frank's strategy to help us. He gave us that homework to make us think and maybe to force us to realize what we would be losing if we don't fix this."

"You're right, and I … don't want to lose what we had. I have been so afraid that we already had lost it though."

"Another beer?" Brian asked standing up and moving to the fridge.

"Sure," Justin replied. "Get me drunk and have your way with me."

"I don't want my way with you if you don't want it too."

Justin glanced at Brian knowing that lately they had not shared the connection they usually did during sex. He shook his head.

"Hoover," Brian said suddenly setting a beer in front of Justin.

Justin giggled. "That's what you called me that night because I kissed you and sucked so hard you thought I was stronger than any vacuum."

"You have the best mouth," Brian said running his thumb along Justin's lower lip.

Justin sucked the thumb into his mouth and Brian let out a small moan.

"I love you," Brian whispered.

"That's what you said that night that spurred the Hoover assault," Justin remembered.

"I know I don't say it enough, but I do love you."

"I know. We've come so far. We need to fix this."

"Let's start with a kiss," Brian said.

Brian pulled Justin into his arms. His lips molded onto Justin's and he used every technique he had ever found effective to kiss Justin's socks off. When he finally released his lover, Justin let out a gasp followed by a small moan.

"That was the best kiss I've ever had. Are you trying to get this into my top two happiest moments?"

"There's a thought," Brian smirked. That hadn't been his plan at all, but it wasn't a bad one nonetheless.

"Let me see if I can top that," Justin said.

"Hey, that's one of my favorite games," Brian laughed before Justin sucked his top lip into his mouth. The kiss went on and on with tongue and spit swapping and general titillation. By the time Justin was through, they were both rock hard.

"Bed?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded. For the first time in ages he was actually looking forward to making love with Brian.

Chapter 14 - Fact and Fantasy by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Fact and Fantasy

The next morning Justin awoke before Brian. He felt Brian's long body spooned up against his back. Gently and slowly he turned so he could look at Brian. Brian was worthy of study.

Justin noted the handsome face and tiny wrinkles around the eyes. He smiled as he knew he would never mention them to his partner. Brian was very vain about his looks even after all this time. But that was all right with Justin. He appreciated Brian's looks. He appreciated being with the handsomest man in all of Pittsburgh, in all the world as far as he was concerned.

But it was Brian's inner beauty that had always attracted Justin as much as his outer beauty had been the first draw. He remembered being stunned by the beautiful Mr. Kinney the first night they had found each other under that lamppost on Liberty Avenue. But it had been the Brian who had taken him to the hospital for the birth of his son, the Brian who had asked for his advice on the name for the baby and the Brian who had taken his virginity with caring and concern that he had fallen in love with.

They had been through so much, the bashing and its aftermath, Ethan, Noel and now Trip. Brian was too attractive for his own good. And yet Justin didn't really blame Brian. Brian had always been honest about fucking, and he had been honest about being with Trip even if he hadn't wanted to tell Justin.

It was something that was inside Justin that was causing the problems between them. He hated to admit it but he knew that was the truth. Brian didn't want Trip Bedford. Justin knew that. So why couldn't he let the whole incident go? He had tried to do that but he just couldn't quite relinquish the hurt and … disappointment. That was it. It was the disappointment in their relationship. The fact that it hadn't been strong enough to resist Trip, that someone had been able to come between what he had thought was their rock solid relationship. That was what made Justin scared. He couldn't go back to being the naïve little princess expecting to live happily ever after with his handsome prince. They would never have that fantasy again, and Justin didn't like that at all.

Justin sighed as his finger slid along Brian's lips. He remembered those kisses from the night before. He had never been so turned on in … forever. Brian was still the best lover on the planet. But Justin knew deep inside him that he had held back just a bit, refusing or unable once again to give himself totally to Brian. He wondered if that would ever change, if maybe Dr. Jamison could make it change.

"You're thinking too much," Brian said softly.

"How do you know I'm thinking?" Justin chuckled. Brian could still surprise him.

"I know you," Brian said simply. "Plus I could smell the burning rubber from the spinning wheels in your head."

"That's a weird image."

"Yeah," Brian laughed. "Somewhere between my brain and my lips it got convoluted. Maybe it was your finger on those lips that distracted me."

Justin rolled onto his back. He stared at the ceiling not saying anything.

"Would you prefer if I went back to sleep and didn't talk to you?" Brian asked.

"I was thinking."

"No shit!"

"About what we did last night."

"And the verdict was?"

"You're the world's best kisser."

"Thanks," Brian chuckled. "But after that things went downhill."

Justin turned his head to look at Brian. "You felt it."

"I know you."

"You already said that."

"It's true. I felt when you turned off."

"I didn't turn off."

"Then … I felt when you drew back, didn't let it happen, had to force it."

"Shit! I was trying," Justin whispered.

"Maybe that's the problem. We didn't used to have to try. It just happened … naturally."

"That's what I want back, Brian," Justin said sincerely. "How do I stop myself from drawing back, from not giving myself to you?"

"I wish the fuck I could answer that."

"So do I."

"That's why we're going to see Frank. Maybe he can answer that," Brian said.

"Maybe."

They both got up and started getting ready for work. They wouldn't see Frank until the following day. That seemed like forever.

Justin arrived at Hartford Graphics some time later. He made his way through the reception area into the animation studio in the back. A couple of his co-workers were already there working on some project. Justin went to his desk and set his bag down. He went back to the small kitchen area and poured himself a coffee. He carried it back to his desk and picked up his phone punching in the numbers to retrieve his messages.

There was only one message, from his boss reminding all employees of a meeting at twelve noon that day. Justin wondered what the meeting was all about, but he deleted the message and hung up the phone.

At twelve noon everyone assembled in the meeting room next to the boss' office. Mr. Hartford came in looking rather subdued. He asked for their attention and everyone fell silent, sensing that something wasn't right.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I called you together to give you some interesting news. I have sold Hartford Graphics to JB3 Industries. I will be clearing out my office and turning the company over to them. A new manager will speak to you some time tomorrow."

There was a collective gasp.

"But what about us?" someone called out. "Will we still have jobs?"

"As far as I know you will. I imagine the new owner will make some changes, but I wouldn't think he would do anything too drastic."

"But there are no guarantees of that?"

Mr. Hartford shook his head. "Thank you all for your hard work over the years. I hope everything works out for you." With that he left the room.

"Well, fuck him," Kyle said. He was one of the artists that Justin worked with. "I've been here for almost ten years. I better not lose this job."

Everyone agreed with that as they all went back to their work wondering if they would be doing the same job tomorrow or the day after.

When Justin arrived home from work he told Brian about the sale of the company. Brian raised an eyebrow.

"I thought that company was doing really well," Brian observed. "Why would Hartford sell?"

"That's what I don't understand. He never gave us any reasons for the sale."

"He must have got one helluva price for it then."

"You think it was the money?" Justin asked.

"Has to be."

"Shit! I liked working there."

"Who says you still can't?"

"The new owner is going to make some changes," Justin explained. "And I'm low man on the totem pole. You know, last hired, first fired."

"But if the company is doing well, there should be no reason to cut back."

"I hope you're right," Justin said.

The next day Justin went to work filled with apprehension about what the new owner would do. On his messages there was the voice of a man introducing himself as the new manager of Hartford Graphics. He summoned his employees to another noon meeting.

Justin and Kyle had a quick conference about what they expected from this man. Then they got back to work, not wanting anybody to think they were slacking off.

At noon a lot of worried employees piled into the meeting room. Soon after, a little runt of a man walked in. He slapped down a folder on the conference table and looked around at the assembled group.

"My name is Alec Bischoff," he proceeded to tell them. "I will be managing this company from now on. I've been going through the roster of employees. I intend to weed out and get rid of any dead wood around here. I hope I make myself clear. Over the next couple of weeks I will personally meet with each of you and check to see if your work measures up. At the end of that time I will make some hard decisions. That's all for now."

Alec Bischoff picked up his folder and marched out of the room.

"What a pompous ass!" Kyle whispered to Justin.

"I think he suffers from small man's disease."

"What's that?"

"Small men who try to make themselves seem important by lording it over everybody else."

"You got that right," Kyle chuckled. "Justin, I'm worried," Kyle continued as the group made their way out of the meeting room. "It sounds like he's going to fire some people. He just isn't sure who yet."

"That's what it sounds like," Justin ruefully agreed.

"Fuck! I need this job."

"Don't we all? But you've been here a long time, Kyle. I'm the new guy, so it will probably be me."

"That would hardly be fair. You do some of the best work in the whole place."

"You think so?" Justin smiled.

"Absolutely."

"Thanks for telling me that. It may make getting fired a little easier."

"Let's go across the road to the deli and I'll buy you lunch," Kyle offered.

"I hope it isn't my last lunch here," Justin muttered as they went out the door.

At five o'clock Brian was waiting outside Dr. Jamison's building. He kept looking up and down the street trying to spot Justin. Suddenly his cell phone rang and he pulled it out of his pocket.

"Where the fuck are you? We're already late."

"Sorry but I just couldn't leave early. I'm in a cab and should be there in about five minutes. Go on in and I'll meet you there."

"Sure."

Brian went up to the office where Frank was waiting for them. He seemed surprised when Brian walked in late and alone.

"I was beginning to think you weren't coming," Frank said. "Where's Justin?"

"He's on his way. Should be here in five minutes or so."

"Have a seat. Maybe we can talk before he gets here."

Brian raised an eyebrow but sat down looking questioningly at Frank. "What do we need to talk about?"

"Don't get your knickers in a knot. I just wanted to tell you that Justin seems very subdued and not totally committed to this process. Would you agree?"

Brian frowned. He didn't want to admit it, but he knew Frank was right. "I don't think he feels we can fix this," Brian finally said.

"And why is that?"

"Because I hurt him too much this time."

"And hasn't he hurt you?"

Brian winced. "Yes, but not like this."

"I think what he did was very much like this, and maybe that's why he's having so much trouble with it."

"What do you mean?"

"You forgave him after Ethan. He's not sure he can forgive you. It makes him afraid to really try in case he fails."

Brian thought about that for a minute. "But he says he's trying."

"He is, but somewhere deep inside he's afraid."

"You're sure about that?"

"There's nothing a hundred percent in this business but that would be my best guess."

"So … what can we do about it?"

"The usual answer is time." Brian grimaced. He wasn't sure how much more of Justin pulling away from him he could stand. "Part of the reason I gave you the homework I did is that I want you two to remember why you're together."

"I see."

"So I hope you have chosen wisely."

"That makes two of us."

There was a gentle knock on the door and Justin appeared. "Sorry I'm late," he said.

"Come in and sit down," Frank gestured.

Justin looked from Brian to Frank as he sat down. "Were you talking about me?"

"Yes, we were," Frank said bluntly.

"I don't think that's fair when I'm not here to defend myself."

"What makes you think you would need to defend yourself?"

Justin looked at Brian. "I'm the one with the problem."

"Not of your own creation, however," Frank replied.

Justin nodded but it didn't make him feel a whole lot better.

"Since we're getting somewhat of a late start, I'd like to hear what incidents you chose that made you really happy," Frank stated. "Who'd like to go first?"

"I will," Justin said. "It was actually easy."

"Really?" Brian asked wondering if it would be all about sex.

Justin smiled a bit. "You probably think I'm going to pick that first night we were together." Brian grinned. "And I am. But not for the reason you're thinking. The sex was great, but then I had nothing to compare it to. But that wasn't what made me happy. It made me horny and lustful and sated and … then wanting more. Always more. The happy part came when you took me to the hospital with you and asked me to name Gus. I was so happy that you let me be part of that. You hardly knew me, yet you trusted me to be part of something so important."

Brian smiled and reached for Justin's hand giving it a squeeze. "I guess I knew you were somebody special right from the first moment."

"Am I … somebody special?"

"Justin," Brian replied, the hurt evident in his voice. "Doubt everything else, but never doubt that you are special … to me … to everyone."

Justin gave a faint smile. "Thank you," was all he said.

"Brian, what example of being happy did you select?" Frank asked.

"The night after the bashing when you let me touch you for the first time, when you let me make love to you," Brian said baring his soul as he looked into Justin's eyes. He cleared his throat trying to get control of his emotions.

"Why did you pick that time?" Frank inquired.

"I …" Brian began, still staring into Justin's eyes. "I've never had anyone depend on me like that, trust me like that. It was special."

"Justin, what is your second choice?"

"It's actually my first choice, if you want to call it the happiest."

"Okay, when was that?"

Brian studied Justin wondering what he would identify as the happiest moment.

"My graduation day," Justin said softly. "Brian got my father to come to it. He made this amazing wall of pictures of my family and friends. He convinced my father to come to the celebration. It was the most … magnificent gesture that he could have made."

Frank was familiar with Justin's rocky relationship with his father. He didn't need to ask more. He looked at Brian who wiped at a tear that threatened to drop onto his impeccable suit.

"Brian, do you have a second choice?"

"Like Justin, it's actually my first choice," Brian said.

"Saving the best for last," Frank chuckled.

"You could say that," Brian admitted. "I was going to say I was happiest when we found our home, but we have so many good memories from there. The one Justin just mentioned is certainly high on the list. But I was also thinking of another time that I was very happy," Brian said staring into Justin's eyes.

"Justin went to New York to study for several months. I was afraid he might never come back. I visited him several times, but one weekend I brought Gus with me and we had the best time."

"Yeah, we did," Justin smiled holding onto Brian's hand a little tighter. "Gus was so cute that weekend."

"He kept asking me 'Where's Justin?' all the way there, like you might be waiting just around every corner."

"Remember Daisy and the ride through Central Park?" Justin asked.

"And the hot dog you forced me to eat."

"I didn't force you, Gus did, and you enjoyed every mouthful."

"Yeah, I did."

"That was a great weekend, Brian."

"Yeah."

"Seems we have a consensus on this one."

Both men nodded. Frank looked them up and down waiting for them to come to the same conclusion that he had. When neither man spoke he knew he had to prod a little bit.

"Do you realize what your choices mean?" he asked.

"That we have had happy times?" Brian replied.

"Yes, but think about what you chose as the happy moments."

"Yeah?" Justin frowned trying to understand what Frank was getting at.

"None of them has much to do with sex," Frank finally pointed out.

Brian saw the light first. "Even the one I chose about making love after the bashing was about … love, not sex."

"Exactly."

"And neither of mine were about sex," Justin added.

"So what does that mean?" Brian frowned.

"Let me ask you a question in return," Frank continued. "Were you happy with Trip, Brian?"

Brian shook his head scrunching up his face in revulsion. "I wish it had never happened."

"And Justin, were you happy with Ethan?"

"I thought I was at first, but it wasn't real. It was a fantasy that he led me to believe and then he betrayed me."

"Has Brian ever betrayed you?"

"With Trip."

"I guess you could call it that, but it doesn't seem like a very important part of your relationship in the greater scheme of things. If I asked you what was the worst time in your relationship, what would you say?"

"The bashing," they both replied simultaneously.

"So how high does the Trip thing rank?"

"Pretty high," Justin felt compelled to say.

"It seems to me that you have put up with a lot of Brian, pardon my French, fucking around since you two have been together."

"But he never cared about any of them," Justin protested.

"Did you care about Trip, Brian?"

"A little, but not nearly as much as Justin seems to think. I didn't want to kick him when he was down."

"So you fucked him instead."

Brian glared at Justin. "He means nothing to me. I don't know how many more times I can say that."

"You can say it as many times as you like, but it doesn't make it true."

"Are you saying Brian is lying to you, Justin?" Frank asked. If there was one thing he knew about Brian Kinney, it was that he didn't lie.

"He thinks he means it, but under the right circumstances…" Justin let his voice trail off.

"It won't ever happen again," Brian stated.

Justin stared at the floor.

"Look at me, Justin. I mean it."

Justin looked up. "How can you promise that when you don't know that would be the case?"

"I know."

"You do?" Justin asked.

"Is that what's been bothering you? Are you entertaining the idea that I would seek out Trip again?"

"There's nothing entertaining about the idea, and probably Trip will be the one doing the seeking."

Brian shook his head. "I'd tell him to fuck off. I mean it."

"Truthfully?"

"Absolutely."

"I … I wish I could believe that."

"And until you do, we're not solving anything."

"Justin, may I suggest something," Frank asked.

"Um … sure. It can't do anything but help."

"Why don't you sit down and make a list of what will happen if things continue the way they are, and then balance it out with a list of what will happen if you truly forgive Brian."

"But what good will that do?" Justin sighed in frustration. "I know what I'm going to lose if we can't fix this. I know it all rationally, but I don't feel it inside me. I don't feel anything anymore."

"You did a few minutes ago when you were holding Brian's hand."

"That … that was different."

"It told me that you still have those feelings. They're there but you choose not to let them out."

"I do?"

Frank nodded. "Try the exercise and bring the list with you to our next meeting."

"Okay," Justin said slowly.

"I think that's enough for today. I'll see you again in a couple of days."

Brian and Justin stood and quietly left the office. They didn't talk until they got to the Corvette and were on their way home.

"That was a fucking waste of time," Justin griped. "I know you two cooked something up before I got there."

"We did not. Why would you think such a thing?"

"Then tell me exactly what was said."

Brian used his photographic memory to give Justin a verbatim account of exactly what happened before Justin arrived at Frank's office.

"Is that all?" Justin asked when Brian fell silent.

Brian nodded. He was getting fucking ticked off being questioned about everything he did and said. It was like Justin didn't believe him about anything anymore.

Justin looked at Brian furtively from the corner of his eye. He could tell Brian was annoyed. The tension in the car was not pleasant.

"Are you going to make that list too?" Justin asked.

"I think Frank asked you to do it."

"He didn't specify that."

"Fine, I'll make the list too."

"Good," Justin said.

Brian could tell it was going to be a long night, and a longer two days before they saw Frank again.

Chapter 15 - Lists by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Lists

Justin glanced at his list of things that would happen if he could or couldn't forgive Brian. He sighed and wrote one more point. If he couldn't forgive Brian he would have no one to commiserate with him when he lost his job. Because he was pretty sure that was what was going to happen; he was going to lose his job.

This was the second day that the new boss Alec Bischoff had been on the job. He had seen the man everywhere scanning the office, making notes and looking disapprovingly at them all, but particularly at him. He sighed and was about to slide the list back into his bag when suddenly Alec was beside his work station.

"Is that something to do with your work?" Bischoff asked.

"Um … no, it's just a note I was writing for myself."

"And you feel that you can use company time for that purpose?"

"I was only writing for a minute at most," Justin protested.

"Any use of work time for reasons other than work is not permitted."

Justin wanted to ask this idiot if he was nuts or had just arrived from some other planet. Instead he merely said, "I'll make sure not to do that again."

"That's a fine statement, Mr. Taylor, but this is not the first time that I have seen you shirking your job."

"Shirking?" Justin was amazed that this man would make such a statement. He worked hard and was certainly not shirking.

"Yes, shirking. I have been making a list, Mr. Taylor, and according to what I have noted this is the third time I have caught you doing your own business when you should be doing the company's."

"But…"

"I expect better from you. I will meet with you Monday afternoon to discuss your work habits and your future with this company. You have until then to show me some positive things that you do that can be added to my list. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Mr. Bischoff." The obsequious little man bustled away. "Shit!" Justin muttered.

"That was totally uncalled for, Justin. The man's an idiot. You're one of the hardest working people here."

"Apparently he doesn't see it that way," Justin sighed.

"Well he's wrong."

"Thanks for the support, Kyle, but I have a feeling my days here are numbered."

Kyle shook his head. "I think that sucks."

"Me too, but you better get back to work before he adds this conversation to his list of workers shirking their duty."

Kyle grimaced and went back to his table. Justin sighed again and got back to work.

When Justin walked out of Hartford Graphics he heard a horn toot and looked around. The Corvette flashed its lights down the street and Justin made his way over to the car.

"What are you doing here?" Justin asked as he climbed in.

"I knew you'd need a ride home since I dropped you off this morning."

Justin smiled. This was Brian being a good partner and today Justin really appreciated it. He leaned his head against the back of the seat and closed his eyes. He felt Brian move out of his parking space and accelerate down the street.

"You look tired," Brian said glancing over at Justin.

"I am."

"Did something happen today?"

"I got told that I have been shirking my responsibilities at work."

"Shirking?"

Justin gave a kind of strangled laugh. "That's exactly what I said when that fucking bitch Bischoff said that to me."

"He actually said that!"

"Yep. I figure my days there are quickly running out."

"That sucks."

"And not in a positive life affirming way," Justin said with a straight face. That made both of them laugh. This was one of the things he would miss if Brian and he broke up. That was what he had been writing on his list when Bischoff caught him.

"What are you going to do?" Brian asked.

"I figure I'll work as hard as I can and see what happens. Meanwhile I'll polish up my resume."

"Good boy. You know you can always use me for a reference."

Justin snorted. "For what position? Bottom boy?"

"Justin!"

"Sorry, but you really don't know anything about my work."

"Of course I do. You've helped me with graphics many times. Think about that great poster you did for the Carnival at the GLC."

"Hm."

"What?"

"I don't think potential employers are going to be very impressed when my reference is my boyfriend."

"Partner."

"Okay, partner."

"Maybe it won't come to that."

"I wish. I really like it there. Even Kyle's worried."

"Who's Kyle?"

"I work with him. He's been with the company for ten years."

"Surely they wouldn't fire him."

"I don't think so, but that doesn't stop him from worrying."

"Sounds like with this new management you might be just as well off somewhere else."

"Except that I don't really want to go somewhere else. Speaking of somewhere else, where are we? This isn't the way home."

"I figured you could use a little treat. We're going out for dinner."

"Really?" Justin asked with a smile. It would be nice not to have to cook and clean up.

"Luigi's."

"Yum, lasagna."

"I knew you'd say that," Brian smiled.

Sometimes they really did know each other so well. Justin glanced at Brian. He could see the concern on Brian's face.

"Thank you for this," Justin said softly. "It's what I needed."

"Along with a couple of bottles of wine."

"Definitely."

The following day Justin had a reasonably good day at work. He didn't have any visits from Alec Bischoff, so that made it a good day right there. He did see the little rat scurrying around behind the scenes making notes. He wondered if he was on any of those lists. He'd find out on Monday.

At lunch time he and Kyle went across the road to the deli. They sat eating their sandwiches in a booth, each of them talking about what the future might hold. Justin was pretty sure he was the one who was going to be fired.

"You know, Justin, if it is you there are lots of other graphics firms in Pittsburgh. Any of them would be lucky to have you."

"Thanks," Justin said around his mouthful of sandwich.

"I can't believe the new owners of this company put that weasel in to manage. So far I haven't seen him do anything except upset the whole staff, make everybody uncomfortable, and not bring in any new accounts."

"No new accounts?" Justin asked.

"Yeah, I was talking to Keith down in sales and he said that he has been getting no positive feedback from Bischoff at all. He seems to not want to make any deals with companies, and as a result they have lost three potential accounts. Bischoff didn't seem to care."

"You're kidding?" Justin could hardly believe his ears. "If we're losing business then I'm sure to be fired. But I don't get Bischoff's lack of concern. Isn't profit the bottom line in business?"

"You would think so, but he just doesn't seem to care."

"There's something screwy about this whole takeover," Justin said thoughtfully.

"I think so too."

"If we only knew what it was."

"If only…"

After lunch Justin worked on his project diligently. He didn't see anything of Bischoff. When he mentioned that at coffee break one of his co-workers said he had seen some handsome, well dressed man go into Bischoff's office right after lunch. He thought they had been in there ever since behind closed doors.

"Maybe he'll pull in a new account and I won't be fired," Justin sighed.

"I don't know who the guy was, but that's a long meeting."

"Curiouser and curiouser," Justin remarked.

At five Justin and Brian had their next appointment with Dr. Jamison. Justin made sure he wasn't late, meaning that he left his job fifteen minutes early. He wondered if he should, but he had come in a half hour early and had completed all his work for the day. He didn't want Brian and Frank talking about him when he wasn't there. And he hadn't seen Bischoff since he went into that mysterious meeting with the handsome stranger.

Frank ushered them into his office. He asked how they were doing and got some non-committal replies. Therefore, he decided to get right to the point.

"I sense some reluctance on both your parts today," Frank stated. Brian and Justin looked at each other, but said nothing. "So, I want to see your homework."

Each man reached into his pocket and drew out a piece of paper.

"Who would like to go first?"

Justin decided he might as well get this over with. "I will," he volunteered. He began reading his list beginning with how lonely he'd be without Brian and ending with having no one to commiserate with about losing his job.

Frank looked thoughtful at the end of Justin's remarks. "Are you worried about losing your job?"

"Yeah."

"Is that adding to the strained relations between you and Brian?"

"Probably, but I had these feelings long before there was the takeover."

"I see. Brian, what did you write down?"

"I only wrote one thing," Brian said after he cleared his throat.

"One thing?" Justin asked. "You could only think of one thing?"

Brian shrugged and Justin looked aghast that Brian could only think of one thing that would affect him whether they stayed together or not.

"Let's hear it, Brian," Frank said sensing that Brian's words were going to make an impact or would destroy everything.

Brian pulled out a piece of paper and unfolded it. He cleared his throat and took a quick glance at Justin. Justin was staring at the floor refusing to look at him. "My life will never be the same," Brian read from his paper and then refolded it.

"What does that mean?" Frank asked.

"If Justin stays and we work things out, my life will be … good. It won't be the same as it is now, but it will be good. And if Justin leaves and we can't work this out, my life will be … meaningless."

Justin's eyes came up at Brian's words and he looked into the hazel ones that he knew he still loved. "You mean that?" he asked tentatively. Brian nodded. Justin gave a wan smile, but at least it was a smile and he was no longer angry.

"Sounds like you both have a lot to think about."

They nodded. "I think we should stop there for today."

"No homework?" Justin asked.

Frank smiled. "You might want to discuss what you wrote on your lists."

"Thanks, Frank," Brian said. He placed his hand on Justin's back and guided his partner to the door.

Frank watched that intimate gesture and thought about all the couples that he had counseled, many of whom would never think to touch each other in any way, shape or form. He seriously hoped he was making headway with these two men. He wanted them to succeed.

-----

Justin looked at himself in the mirror in the bathroom. He expected that when he came home after work this day, that he would look different. He would be unemployed and he hated that idea.

He thought back to the weekend that he and Brian had had. They had talked a little when they came home from Frank's office, but mostly they had skirted the big issues. They had fucked a few times and Brian had tried to make love to him once. He could always tell the difference. Justin wondered if Brian appreciated how hard he had tried to get into it, even though he hadn't totally succeeded. It had, however, been … better.

Justin wished he knew if Brian thought the same thing. Maybe Brian thought it was just the same old, same old. If that was the case maybe they didn't have a chance of working things out.

Brian came into the bathroom. "Want a ride to work?"

"Sure," Justin said wiping the toothpaste off his face and heading into the bedroom to get his sweater.

Brian followed him looking furtively at Justin.

"What?" Justin demanded growing uncomfortable under the scrutiny. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You weren't supposed to notice," Brian said sucking in his lips.

"I notice a lot more than you think I do."

"So do I?"

Justin looked into Brian's eyes. Had he noticed? Had Brian really seen how hard he was trying? "What are you trying to tell me?"

"There used to be a time when I didn't have to tell you anything. You just knew."

"I guess those days are gone," Justin said before he realized how harsh it sounded.

Brian shook his head. "I've been trying to figure out how to tell you that … that … I noticed."

Justin smiled in spite of himself. "Maybe those days aren't totally gone," Justin said softly. He knew exactly what Brian meant. Brian had felt it, and he had expressed his appreciation in his usual Brian way. "I hope it made a difference."

"It did. It made clear that you want this to work. I think we can do it if we persevere."

"I'm willing if you are."

"Me too. Let's go to work."

"For the last time," Justin said sadly.

"Wait and see."

-----

Brian picked Justin up after work. He could tell by the look on his partner's face that it had not been a good day.

"What happened?" Brian asked as Justin climbed into the car.

"They let me go," Justin managed to choke out.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted as he pulled Justin into his arms. He kissed Justin's forehead and held on tight as he felt the silent sobs emanating from his lover. Finally Justin calmed down and Brian released him a bit. Justin's tear filled eyes looked into Brian's.

"It's not fair," he whispered in a barely audible voice.

"I know."

"No, you don't understand."

"What don't I understand?" Brian asked.

"He … he told me that I was incompetent."

"Incompetent?" Brian asked in disbelief. "Is that what he actually said?"

Justin nodded. "He called me into his office about ten minutes ago. He waited the whole fucking day knowing he was torturing me. He said I had been doing a lousy job, shirking my responsibilities and costing the company business. It's Bischoff that's fucking costing the company business. Everybody knows that."

"I'm going in there and kick his ass," Brian said making to get out of the car.

"No, no, don't do that. I feel stupid enough as it is. I'm never going back there."

"But…"

"No buts. Take me home, please, Brian."

Justin wanted to get away from there, from his public disgrace of being dismissed just as everybody was walking past the office. Bischoff had deliberately left the door open so that everyone could hear. It was so fucking humiliating.

Brian pulled out into traffic but he gave the front door of the company a murderous look as he drove past. It didn't take long to get home. Brian made Justin a cup of his favorite tea while Justin lay in a ball wrapped in an afghan on the couch of the family room.

As Brian handed Justin the tea, he sat down beside the boy that he knew so well, the boy who was now a man in so many ways, but still a boy in so many others.

"Are you all right?" Brian asked after swiping the hair back from Justin's forehead. It was the only form of caress and comfort that seemed right at that moment.

"I will be," Justin declared.

Brian was glad to see some of the old defiant bulldog Justin. The despair he had seen in the blue eyes outside of Hartford Graphics had really scared him. "Can I do anything else?"

"Hold me," Justin asked as he set down the cup of tea.

Brian pulled him into his arms and wrapped the afghan around both of them. He heard Justin sigh against his chest as he rubbed the boy's back. "We'll get past this," Brian whispered into his hair.

Justin heard the 'we' and that did comfort him, but it wasn't enough. "You know, almost everything Bischoff said about me is untrue."

"I know."

"I really mean it, Brian. It's all lies. Kyle has worked in the art department and he told me that I am one of the best workers they have. If Bischoff had said I was fired because of downsizing I could have handled that. I wouldn't have liked it but I could have taken it. This … this was just … lies!"

Brian thought about Justin's statement. He knew Justin was hard on himself. If he said Bischoff's accusations were false, then they were. Besides, Brian knew Justin's talent and work ethic. There was no way he would not be doing his job properly. Hell, his work would have been exemplary. Brian frowned.

After a few minutes Brian said, "How would you like some macaroni and cheese from Luigi's?"

"I'd love some, but I can't go out in this state."

"You don't have to. I'll get them to deliver."

"Luigi's doesn't deliver," Justin replied.

"They will. They owe me a favor."

Justin looked up at Brian and knew the man was doing his best to look after him, including getting him his favorite comfort food. "You think you can arrange it?"

"I know I can. Drink your tea while I order it. I'll be right back."

Brian extricated himself from the afghan and the blond and went to make his phone call. Justin pulled the wrap back around himself and snuggled into it cradling the tea in his two hands. Brian had put it in his favorite big round mug. Justin smiled in spite of his depression. Brian really did love him. He was looking after him so well, just like he had said on his list of reasons to fix things between them.

"It'll be here in twenty minutes," Brian said coming back into the room. Justin lifted the afghan and slid back up against Justin's warm body. "Are you feeling any better?"

"A little. But now I'm getting fucking angry. I hate that fucking Bischoff. I would never have been fired if Mr. Hartford was still there."

Brian kissed the top of Justin's head. He knew that was probably true. "You can't live your life on 'what if's'. You'll find a new and better job."

"You think?"

"I know," Brian said well aware that Justin needed all the reassurance that he could get at the moment.

Justin's head rested on Brian's chest and he could feel the gentle rise and fall as Brian breathed. He felt Brian's fingers massage his scalp and sift through his hair. He sighed and closed his eyes. He was almost asleep when the doorbell rang heralding the arrival of macaroni and cheese.

Brian gently shoved Justin over and covered him with the afghan. He went to answer the door. Justin looked at the cold remains of the tea in his mug. He could use some more nice, hot tea. Brian returned in a moment carrying a paper bag. He set it on the ottoman and picked up Justin's cup. Justin smiled as he realized that he was going to get the refill he had been wishing for.

It took a few minutes for the kettle to boil and then Brian returned with a steaming mug of tea and a fork.

Justin gave out a little laugh.

"What?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded at the fork. "You're going to let me eat macaroni and cheese in here?" he asked.

"No."

Justin's face fell. "Then what's the fork for."

"I'm going to feed you," Brian said matter-of-factly.

Justin almost choked on his sip of tea. It was hot and sweet, but he couldn't believe Brian's words.

Brian nudged him over and sat down beside him. He took the foil dish containing the macaroni out of the bag. He carefully loaded the fork and brought it to Justin's lips. "Open up," Brian whispered.

Justin opened his mouth and accepted the food. "Yummy," he smiled as he chewed the creamy, cheesy mixture.

Brian continued to feed him mouthfuls of food watching Justin's lips and tongue the whole time. He was getting hard from the sensuous effect of watching his lover eat. After many mouthfuls Justin grabbed Brian's wrist and directed the food into Brian's mouth. Brian balked a bit but finally ate it knowing that it tasted delicious. At that point he didn't want to refuse Justin anything. Justin took the fork and fed Brian a few forkfuls. Taking one for himself, Justin leaned in and kissed Brian licking cheese from Brian's lips and depositing some of his own food into his lover's mouth. He heard Brian moan.

"You know what," Justin said. "I'm not going to worry about Bischoff anymore. Fuck him and his lists!"

"No, fuck me."

The next thing they knew the macaroni dish was on the floor along with the afghan and their clothes. As they rocked together Brian could feel that they were almost there, almost back to what they had had before and then Justin shut down. Their orgasms were almost upon them and they came to completion, but that last intimate bond wasn't shared once again.

"Almost," Brian whispered as he regained his breath.

Justin smiled up at him. "Maybe we can make it next time." Brian caressed Justin's cheek and drew out. He hoped that would be the case. This had been better but it just wasn't good enough.

Chapter 16 - The Wrath of Kinney by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

The Wrath of Kinney

"Theodore? Get your ass over here." Brian hung up immediately. He knew Ted would heed his call.

Fifteen minutes later Ted appeared in Brian's doorway. "You bellowed?"

"Close the door and sit down," Brian ordered.

"Uh oh," Ted muttered. He wondered what he had done to bring down the wrath of Kinney upon him.

"Have you ever heard of a company called JB3 Industries?" Brian asked getting right to the point.

Ted thought for a moment. "Don't think so. It doesn't ring any bells."

"Find out who they are."

"What do they do?"

"Their latest acquisition was Hartford Graphics. I don't know what else they own."

"Are they a new client?"

"Fuck no!"

"Then, why the interest, if I may ask?"

Brian sighed. He ran his fingers through his hair. "Justin's new job was with Hartford Graphics before it was taken over about a week ago."

"And you want to check out who his boss is? How sweet," Ted grinned.

"Fuck off, Ted. Justin was fired on Friday."

"Fired? Friday? But he's such a good artist."

"I fucking know that. There's something screwy about this whole takeover and everything that has happened since."

"I see. You want to know who owns JB3 Industries and why they fired Justin."

"Justin says he was doing a good job there. There was no reason to fire him."

"I know Justin would do a good job. Anything he's ever done has been excellent," Ted stated.

"Thanks for that, Theodore. I'll tell him you said so. But you can see why he was so confused when they accused him of incompetence and shirking."

"Shirking?"

Brian had to chuckle. That seemed to be everybody's reaction to Justin having been told just that by the asshole Bischoff. "That's the word."

"Holy shit! Are they blind?"

"I think there's something a little more sinister than that going on. The new manager is one Alec Bischoff. See what you can find out about him too."

"Will do, Brian. I'll start on the internet. I should have something for you before close of business."

"Good," Brian said in a distracted manner. He had a bad feeling deep in his gut about this one.

Picking up the phone, Brian dialed his home.

"Hello," Justin answered.

"Got those resumes mailed yet?"

Justin giggled. "I've only been unemployed for the weekend. Give me a break."

"No way! I expect you to keep me in the manner to which I have become accustomed."

"Certainly, your highness."

"Do I detect sarcasm?"

"Maybe just a tad," Justin admitted.

"Have you been painting?"

"How did you know?"

"I could smell the paint fumes over the phone."

"Briiaan!"

"You always paint when you're dealing with difficult or emotional situations."

That statement stopped Justin dead in his tracks. He thought back to the bad times. With the exception of the bashing where he couldn't control his hand, he did paint or sketch as a way to release what he was feeling. The painting he had been working on in his studio was dark and ominous and sad, just the way he felt.

"How do you know that?" Justin asked.

"I'm pretty observant."

"You are, are you?"

"Are you okay?" Brian asked after a short pause.

"Ah, the real reason for your call."

"I worry."

"I'll be fine. Go back to work."

"Yes, sir," Brian smirked but he cut the connection and did just that.

Brian, however, found it difficult to concentrate on his work. He was constantly thinking about Justin and the situation they were in. He wondered when Ted would get back to him. He worried that Justin's dark mood combined with their "marital" troubles might lead to depression. There were too many things to think about. When had his life become so complicated? He knew the answer to that was the night he met Justin Taylor, but he also knew that he wouldn't have it any other way.

As he was packing up for the day there was a knock on his door. Brian called, "Enter."

Ted came in carrying a sheaf of papers. "I finally found out who owns JB3 Industries," he said proudly. "It took a lot of digging. I bet you can never guess."

"Trip Bedford," Brian said softly.

"What? How the fuck? If you already knew, why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted it confirmed before I said anything."

"How did you figure it out?" Ted asked. "He hid his trail really well."

"I bet he did. Trip's real name is the same as his father's, Jerome Bedford. He's call Trip because he's the third generation to carry that name. Hence, JB3 Industries."

Ted shook his head and smiled. "You're absolutely right."

"Did you find out anything about this Bischoff asshole?"

"Not much. He's never had a management position in a graphics firm before."

Brian snorted. "I'm not surprised."

"He has worked in other companies, but he has no credentials for the position he was given at Hartford Graphics."

"So, basically he's the flunkie while Trip calls the shots."

"That would be my guess."

"Fuck! What is the matter with that man? I thought we were friends."

"Or lovers?" Ted asked avoiding Brian's eyes.

"I have to do something about this."

"What can you do? He bought the company for an exorbitant price. But that's his prerogative. He can name whomever he wants as manager. What can you do about it?"

"I don't know … yet. Look, Ted, thanks for the information. And this stays between us." Ted nodded as he went out the door.

-----

A couple of days later Cynthia buzzed Brian to tell him that he had a visitor. Brian smiled to himself. He knew his phone call would produce this result.

"Send him in," Brian said.

A few seconds later an elated looking Trip Bedford stepped through the doorway of Brian's office. "I'm so happy you called, Brian. I've wanted to see you again ever since that day…" Trip let his voice trail off not wanting to put into words what had happened between them.

"Have a seat," Brian said flatly.

Trip looked at Brian perhaps expecting a hug or a kiss, since Brian had been the one to call and request this meeting. He sat down looking expectantly at Brian. When nothing was forthcoming Trip said, "So, you wanted to see me?"

"How have things been with you, Trip?"

Trip smiled. That was better. Brian was interested in what he was doing and how he was doing. Maybe all was forgiven. "I've been good."

"And how's business?" Brian asked pointedly.

"Business is great, but surely you didn't call me here from Indianapolis to renew my account."

"The last time I saw you I think I told you to take your business and shove it," Brian smirked.

"But you didn't really mean that, did you?"

"Why would you say that?" Brian asked staring at Trip.

Trip shifted uncomfortably under the gaze. "Well, you called me here today and we've always been … friends."

"Have we?"

Trip frowned. This wasn't going the way he had expected when he had agreed to come to Pittsburgh at Brian's summoning. He had hoped they were going to mend fences and be together again now that that blond kid was out of the picture, at least out of work. Trip smiled at the thought. He was the equal of Brian and now Brian would have seen that, since Justin couldn't even hold onto his menial job.

Trip wanted to get to the point of this visit. "Brian, what's going on? Just why did you ask me to come here?"

"So you could apologize."

"Apologize? For what? I know when we fucked; you probably blamed me for that. But I'm not going to apologize. There was nothing to be sorry for."

Brian felt the steam rise in his head. "Probably blamed you?" Brian demanded. He did fucking blame Trip and he had told him so. But he blamed himself more.

"Let's leave the past in the past and move on," Trip said seeing how the memory had stirred something unpleasant in Brian. It only held fond, no, hot memories for him.

"Some things from the past just keep shoving their unwanted heads into the present."

"What does that mean?"

"I think you know."

Trip felt himself unable to look at Brian. Did Brian know what he had done? He had a sinking feeling deep inside. And then he was afraid. Brian would destroy him if he ever found out. But he couldn't have found out. He had covered his tracks very carefully.

The silence hung between them like a huge weight ready to crush everything beneath it. Then Brian moved. He picked up a file from his desk and practically threw it at Trip. Trip grabbed it and felt his heart die as he saw JB3 Industries clearly printed across the front of the file.

"Brian," Trip said but it came out as little more than a whimper.

"I know what you did, and it's just about the most despicable thing I've ever seen."

"What … what do you mean?"

"YOU are JB3 Industries. YOU bought Hartford Graphics. YOU had Justin fired. YOU tried to make him feel like shit."

"Brian…"

"Don't say my name. It makes me sick to my stomach to hear it come out of your mouth."

Trip pulled himself together slightly and sat taller in his chair. "Brian, I have to protest these accusations. I have little to do with the day to day running of any companies that I might own."

"I never knew you were such a good liar," Brian said staring at Trip. "Your father would be so proud."

Trip felt the dagger pierce his heart. "Don't mention my father," he hissed. He knew his father would be so ashamed of what he had done.

"I'll mention whatever the fuck I want!"

"Brian, please…"

"Trip, I did think at one time we were friends, and maybe if what happened after your father's funeral hadn't happened…"

"I don't regret anything that happened," Trip said defiantly. He would not let Brian sully what they had shared together.

"Well, I regret ever meeting you, and this comes from the man who doesn't do regrets." Brian shook his head. He saw Trip wince. Maybe there still was a conscience in there somewhere. "Trip, I want you to apologize to Justin."

"Are you fucking nuts?"

"No, I'm completely sane, and if you were too, you'd see that this whole thing is crazy. You have to put an end to it."

"Then come be with me," Trip ventured.

"I love Justin."

"No, you love me."

"How many times and in how many ways do I have to tell you that that is not the case. I love Justin. That's who I want to be with."

"He's just a boy. He can't stick with you. How many times has he left you? I'm the man you need."

"If you don't stop saying fucking shit like that, I'm going to come around this desk and beat the fucking crap out of you."

Trip visually recoiled at Brian's words. He had never heard Brian talk like that before. "I think it's time for me to leave," Trip said standing up. Clearly there was no reasoning with Brian. Trip had been brought there under false pretenses. He needed to get out of there as fast as he could.

"You're not going anywhere," Brian stated and he moved to stand between Trip and the door out of the office.

"You can't seriously be threatening me," Trip scoffed although he could hear the little vibration of fear in his voice.

"I'm going to do whatever it takes to put an end to this once and for all."

"How can it end," Trip moaned slumping back into his chair. "I love you."

"You don't love me. You don't even know what love is. Justin would never do something like this that would hurt me so much."

"Hurt you?" Trip asked bewildered. "I'd never hurt you, Brian."

"What hurts Justin hurts me."

"No," Trip tried to deny Brian's words, but he merely sounded defeated.

"Your father would not want this, Trip," Brian tried again. "He was a good man and he raised you better than this."

"Raised me to be alone," Trip mumbled.

"You don't have to be alone. You need therapy. You're a great looking guy and you have so much going for you…"

"Then why don't you want me?" Trip asked the tears evident in his voice.

"If I hadn't met Justin, I might have … wanted you. But that's not the case. I did meet Justin and I love him. Not you!"

Trip's head dropped down and he cradled it in his hands his elbows resting on his knees. The sobs that shook his body could not be disguised so easily.

"Trip," Brian said softly venturing around the desk and within reach of the devastated man. "It's not too late to make this right."

"I …I can't," Trip gulped. "I love you."

"You think you do, but I don't love you. That makes all the difference. When that's the case, it's not love; it's obsession."

"Obsession," Trip repeated wiping at his eyes.

Brian went to the conference table and poured Trip a glass of water. He brought it back and handed it to the man. "Drink this."

Trip swallowed some water and looked up at Brian. He knew that everything Brian had said was true, but he just couldn't let go of the dream of him and Brian being together. "Don't you have anything stronger?" he asked trying to get control of his emotions.

"That's not what you need at the moment."

"I suppose you're going to tell me what I need," Trip said.

"I already have. You need treatment. Justin and I are seeing a psychologist, Dr. Frank Jamison. I would recommend that you see him too, or somebody else back in Indianapolis."

"You're seeing a psychologist … with Justin?"

"Don't get your hopes up that things aren't good between Justin and me," Brian lied. He didn't want Trip thinking that he had an opening. "We've seen Frank before, and we go back … periodically."

"You do?"

Brian could see the look Trip was giving him. He knew he should never have mentioned that he and Justin were seeing a psychologist. "Look! The point I'm trying to make is that Frank has been able to help us sort things out. Someone like that could do the same for you."

"I guess I could see … Frank."

"It doesn't have to be Frank," Brian said hurriedly.

"It doesn't matter," Trip replied. "Is that all I have to do to make things right between us?"

"No, I told you before you have to tell Justin what you did and apologize."

"I don't think I could do that."

"Then I hope you rot in Hell," Brian stated emphatically.

"Brian…"

"You heard the terms. What's it going to be?"

"If I apologize, where does that leave us?"

"I won't hate you like I do at this moment."

Trip shuddered. The thought that Brian hated him made him physically ill. "You don't hate me, do you?" His voice was barely a whisper.

"With all my heart and soul."

"I … I'm sorry," Trip managed to get out.

"It's not me that you need to apologize to."

"I … I guess I should try to talk to Justin."

"Let's go."

"Go where?"

"Justin's at home. You can tell him how sorry you are right now."

"Now? I don't know. I … need to think this through."

"If you intend to apologize, then it shouldn't matter if it's now or later."

"I … I suppose."

"Let's go.

Reluctantly Trip stood up and followed Brian out to his car.

"Do you have a rental car?" Brian asked.

"No, I took a cab from the airport."

"Get in."

The ride to Brian's home was mostly in silence. Trip tried a couple of times to make nice with Brian, but Brian cut him off, telling him he should be thinking about what he was going to say to Justin. As they approached the house, Trip had decided exactly what he was going to say.

Brian opened the front door and called out for Justin. Trip followed Brian into the house. They found Justin sketching in the family room.

"Hey," Brian said.

"Hey," Justin smiled up at his partner until movement behind Brian caught his eye. His face changed immediately to one of disbelief and horror. "What the fuck is he doing here?"

"He has something to say to you," Brian replied looking knowingly at Trip.

"Get him out of here. I don't want him in our home."

"Not until you hear this," Brian said firmly.

"If he won't leave, I will," Justin said standing up.

"Wait, Justin," Trip said raising his hand to keep Justin in the room. "I need to say this."

"Say what?" Justin asked.

"I need to say that I love Brian and I want to be with him and he wants to be with me." Trip blurted it all out before he could think or regret his words.

"You fucking son of a bitch!" Brian reacted as his fist connected with Trip's face. I should fucking kill you!" Brian grabbed Trip by the lapels of his jacket and bodily hauled him to the front door of the house. He yanked the door open and planting his foot firmly in Trip's backside he pushed with all his might. Trip went flying down the driveway until he lost his footing and lay sprawled on the front lawn. "Too bad it isn't garbage day so they could pick up the trash!" Brian yelled at him. "If you aren't off our property in the next three minutes, I'm calling the police." Brian slammed the door.

Quickly he returned to the family room where he found Justin huddled on the couch.

"Are you all right? I brought him here to apologize to you. He said he would."

"Apologize to me for what?" Justin asked. "You didn't fuck him again, did you?"

Brian kneeled by the couch. "Justin, I'll never touch Trip Bedford again. I already promised you that. Trip owns JB3 Industries. He bought out the Hartford Company and had you fired. I found out a couple of days ago, and I wanted him to tell you. I wanted him to apologize, to grovel, for all the damage he's done to us, to you."

"So why did he say what he did?"

"Because he's a fucking asshole and he thought he could hurt you."

"He did hurt me. I almost believed him."

"Almost?"

"Until I saw the look on your face."

"What look?"

"It was murderous. I've never seen you look like that even when you were very, very angry. It was … scary."

"I didn't mean to scare you," Brian said softly. He realized just how out of control he had been.

"I did enjoy seeing you lift Trip off the floor by his lapels. You have superhuman strength when you're angry."

Brian smirked. "I am Rage."

"My hero."

"You mean that?" Brian asked with a frown.

"I do," Justin cooed running his fingers down Brian's cheek. "You saved our home from the evil villain."

"I shouldn't have brought him here."

"It's okay. I did enjoy the ending of this comic book adventure."

"You should have seen him flying down the driveway when I kicked his ass."

"You did?" Justin chuckled. "I can see that in the next issue of Rage."

"You're not mad at me for bringing him here?"

"I was, but I'm not now."

Brian let out a sigh of relief.

"In fact," Justin said. "This Trip incident has had a surprising effect on my lips."

"On your lips?"

"They're craving a great kiss. Do you know where I could get one of those?"

Brian knew an invitation when he heard one. And he wasn't about to pass this one up. He pulled Justin toward him and gave him his best toe curling kiss. That was followed by another and another. Finally he pulled back to look into the dark, lust filled eyes of his partner.

"Let's go to bed," Brian said gently as he pulled Justin to his feet.

On the way to their bedroom they shed pieces of clothing so that by the time they stood beside their bed they were naked. Brian ran his hands up and down Justin's arms.

"We're all right, aren't we?" Brian asked. He was referring to what had just happened.

"I think we're more than all right," Justin replied. He was referring to the declaration that Brian had made by kicking Trip Bedford's ass. It was so much more than the simple act of the kick. It proved to Justin what each of them, both he and Trip, meant to Brian.

Brian shoved Justin back onto their bed and covered his body with his own. He nibbled at Justin's neck and collarbone, and then kissed his way down to Justin's straining cock. With a swipe of his tongue through the slit he collected the precum bubbling there. His next kiss let Justin taste himself.

Justin reached into the nightstand and handed Brian a condom and lube.

"It won't be much longer and we won't have to use these anymore," Brian whispered.

"I know, but it's okay for now."

Brian rolled on the condom and lubed up. He squirted some lube into Justin's hole before he lifted Justin's legs onto his shoulders. Gently he pushed in until he was home, safe and warm and where he wanted to be. He began his rhythm and felt Justin respond in kind. With a smile he leaned forward and kissed Justin's full lips.

"I love you," Brian said as he began to speed up the pace. They were coming to the end of the ride. Brian wondered if Justin would pull back like he had every time lately. With a final few thrusts and a couple of tugs on Justin's throbbing dick, they were both coming. It was explosive and satisfying and complete.

"Yes," Brian groaned as he rolled away.

"You felt it?"

"The difference?"

"Yeah."

"We're back. You're back. It was the way it should be."

Justin looked into the hazel eyes and nodded. They had found each other again.

Chapter 17 - Fresh Starts by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Fresh Starts

Justin carried his book and a glass of iced tea out to the patio and started to shove the chaise out into the sun. It wasn't very sunny, but he decided he wanted some rays. He wouldn't stay long enough to get burnt, but he was depressed and maybe the pale sunlight would refresh his body. The front leg of the chaise caught on something and stopped its forward movement rather abruptly. Justin felt his book slide out of his hand and the tea sloshed all over his arm and down onto the book at his feet.

"Fuck!" he said loudly. This was just another miserable event in the fucked up last few weeks, culminating with him being fired from his graphics job.

"Justin, is that you?" a voice said from the other side of the hedge.

"Yeah, it's me, Gwen."

"Are you all right? I heard you call out."

"If you don't count inherent clumsiness, I guess I'm fine."

Gwen walked around the hedge and surveyed the sodden book and Justin trying to shake the iced tea off his arm and hand. "Let me get you a towel," she said heading for the kitchen.

"Next to the sink," Justin called after her.

Gwen returned with a towel that she had found and helped Justin clean himself and his poor wet book. They sopped up the spot of tea that had landed on the chaise cushion as well. When they were done, Justin let out a long sigh.

"Is something wrong, Justin?" Gwen asked. "It's not like you to get so upset about some spilled milk … or tea as the case may be."

"It's not just the tea. The last week has been the shits. Pardon my French."

"Want to talk about it?"

Justin looked at her thoughtfully. It might do him good to talk to someone about what was bothering him. "Would you like some iced tea? I have a pitcher in the fridge," he offered.

She nodded and he went inside to get it. While he was gone she pushed Justin's chaise into the sun and pulled the other one up beside it. "I thought we could sit in the sun for a bit," she said when he returned with the glasses of tea.

"Thanks, that's what I was trying to do when I made such a mess."

"It wasn't much of a mess. You should see some of mine."

Justin chuckled and so did she. It felt good to do that.

"Thanks for making me laugh. I needed it."

"What's wrong? Speaking of which, why are you home on a workday."

"It's not a workday for me," Justin said letting his words hang in the air. She looked at him funny. "I got fired."

"Fired? No!"

"Yep, a few days ago."

"Were they downsizing?"

"I wish. They called me incompetent and sent me packing."

"I can't believe that, Justin. I'm so sorry."

"That's just the beginning of the saga," Justin said shaking his head.

"What do you mean?"

Justin sighed. He wasn't sure how much he wanted to tell Gwen, or anybody, for that matter. "Let's just say that there was some unpleasant behind the scenes activities."

Gwen's eyebrows went up. "You mean they terminated you unjustly?"

"Kind of."

"Then sue!"

"Sue?" Justin had never even thought about anything like that, but he had to admit that the idea of making Trip Bedford pay financially for what he had done would be very satisfying. Gwen watched his reaction. Justin decided that it might be better just to let this go and not explain any further.

"It's something to think about," she said gently.

"Yeah, but I don't know…"

"Well, on a more pleasant note, I think you should do something to get you out of the house."

"I should, should I?" Justin laughed. Gwen was making him feel better.

"Definitely. I have two tickets to the Pittsburgh Philharmonic for Friday night. What do you say?"

"You want me to come with you?"

"I believe that's what I said. Marc really doesn't like classical music, but I usually force him to come with me. But … this Friday he's playing in a golf tournament, and they have this big dinner afterwards. So how about it?"

"It sounds like a nice night out. I'll go if you let me take you to dinner first."

"I thought you just lost your job," Gwen laughed.

"I didn't say we'd go to Pappaganos," Justin chided her. "I think I can afford a passable restaurant though."

"Deal," Gwen said holding out her hand for Justin to shake.

"Oh, I need to run it by Brian, but I don't see that it should be a problem."

"Good, then I guess I should go start the chicken I was going to have for dinner." Gwen stood up and carried her empty iced tea glass towards the kitchen. "I'll leave this on the counter."

"Thanks for everything, Gwen. I do feel better."

"My pleasure, sweetie," she said as she disappeared around the hedge.

-----

"God damn fucking, Vance," Brian muttered loud enough for anyone in the house to hear. He slammed the front door behind him and dropped his metal briefcase with a loud clang on the hardwood floor.

"And a hearty welcome home to you, partner," Justin said daring to stick his head out of the kitchen.

Brian muttered something unintelligible and headed upstairs to change his clothes.

Justin debated if he should follow, but decided that he would do better waiting for Brian to come back down. Over the years he had learned that pressing Brian made him clam up. He would explain what was wrong when he was ready. Justin went back into the kitchen to work on dinner.

After about twenty minutes there was still no sign of Brian. Justin turned dinner off and stuck what he could in the oven. Reluctantly he made his way upstairs. Surprisingly there was no sign of Brian in the bedroom or the bathroom. He checked Gus' room only to find it empty. With a frown he walked back into the bedroom and over to the doorway to his studio, the little room with the big window, just off their bedroom.

In front of the window stood Brian. He wore his old worn jeans that fit in all the right places and a T-shirt that showed all the ripples of his chest.

"Brian?" Justin said softly.

Brian didn't turn around or acknowledge his presence, but Justin knew he was aware that he was there. He waited.

After several minutes Justin needed to break the silence. "What are you looking at, Brian?"

There was continued silence. Finally Brian said barely above a whisper, "A squirrel."

Justin frowned. It wasn't like Brian to notice nature, and even less like him to comment on it. "A squirrel?" Justin's mind was racing. Something was very wrong.

"They have such cute tails when the bounce across the lawn. They're fluffy and perky."

"Brian, are you sick?" Justin was really worried now. Cute and perky and fluffy! Not in Brian Kinney's vocabulary.

"No, not sick."

Justin let out a long breath. "Then what's going on?"

"Have you ever noticed how industrious the squirrels are? They work and work building their stores for the long winter ahead. They never question what they're doing."

"Brian…?"

"Fucking Vance told me today that my contract runs out in a few months and he will have to re-evaluate taking me back on, and whether my salary will be the same."

"Is he fucking insane? You bring in more business than any three other ad execs he's got, and at least double what he does himself."

"I know," Brian said with a little grin. It was nice to hear Justin defend him, and the kid knew what he was talking about.

"Tell him to go fuck himself," Justin declared.

Finally Brian turned and looked at Justin. There was something in his eyes, something that Justin couldn't quite pinpoint.

"I've been thinking about doing just that."

"Wha … what are you saying?"

"I think it's time that I left Vangard and that fucking hypocrite Vance behind."

"But what will you do? Is there another ad agency interested?"

"Probably, but that's not what I want." The little smile on Brian's face began to expand and it lit up the small room almost like people had told Justin that his smile did. Justin stared at his partner not knowing what to say. He felt happy for Brian because the man so obviously was pleased about this idea. But … there was a small gnawing cramp deep in his stomach. He knew it was fear.

Justin swallowed hard and then had to speak. "Brian, do you think this is the right time to be contemplating going out on your own?" He tried to keep his voice even and not let his emotions show.

"I think it's the perfect time, Sunshine."

"But … I don't have a job and starting a new business is pretty iffy…"

"No faith in me?"

"Of course I have faith in you, Brian. But … it's not long ago that we got this house. And I know you paid more for it than you wanted to. How are you going to finance a new business?"

"That's what I was thinking about while I was watching the squirrel," Brian said looking out the window again.

"And what did the squirrel tell you?"

"He told me that hard work and perseverance is what I need."

"You certainly have that," Justin said venturing to step inside the room. As soon as he made the first step, Brian's arms opened up to enfold him. "Are you sure?" Justin whispered into Brian's chest.

"Fuck no!" Justin looked up into Brian's eyes. "But I want to do this. If I don't do it soon, I never will. And I don't want to be stuck at Vangard for the rest of my life."

Justin drew in a deep breath. "Then let's go eat dinner before it's ruined … and we can talk about how we're going to pull this off."

Brian slung his arm over Justin's shoulder and kissed his cheek. "How we're going to pull this off," he repeated against Justin's ear as they headed back downstairs.

-----

Dinner was almost over. They had actually done a lot more talking than eating. Brian was just full of ideas about what he wanted his new company to be like. Justin had some ideas about how he could help. He was already thinking about possible names for Brian's new company. He had some ideas of what the new offices should look like too. He wanted them to reflect Brian but also be warm and inviting.

Then a thought occurred to Justin. "Can Vance stop you from starting a business?" Justin asked.

"What do you mean … stop me?" Brian asked with a frown.

"Aren't there rules about not starting a competing business, or stuff like that?"

"Where did you hear about that?"

"At Hartford we had to sign something about not freelancing for other graphic companies that were in competition with Hartford."

"I don't see how that could apply to me. If Vance is letting my contract run out, then any stipulations in it should also run out."

"Maybe you should get Mel to look it over for you. Just in case," Justin suggested.

"That might not be a bad idea," Brian said thoughtfully.

"You know," Brian said staring into Justin's eyes, "I think I need to go to bed."

"Why? Too much excitement for one day?" Justin asked innocently.

"No, not enough."

"Huh? OH! Right," Justin mumbled finally getting the point.

"Think you might join me? We could both find some excitement," Brian said with a waggle of his eyebrows.

Justin giggled. He sounded like a teenager and that was the way he felt at the moment. Even if he had lost his job and had to face Trip Bedford, he suddenly felt good about things. It was nice to see Brian so energized by the idea of starting his own company. Maybe this was the beginning of good things for both of them.

"I should clean up this mess," Justin said waving his hand at the kitchen.

"Why? It'll still be there in the morning."

"You mean if I let you take me to bed, we won't be getting up again until tomorrow."

Brian nodded. "Precisely."

"Then I better get a snack," Justin chuckled as he stood up.

Brian grabbed him and pulled him onto his lap. "I'll feed you a high protein snack at midnight. How's that?"

"Sounds like a win/win situation to me," Justin laughed. He leaned in and kissed Brian allowing his lips and tongue and breath to tell Brian how happy he was at that moment. It felt good to work on something together, to act like a couple, and help each other.

"Let's go," Brian said as he stood Justin on his feet and they made their way upstairs.

They slowly undressed each other, feeling no need to hurry. Brian tugged Justin's hand as he led his lover to the walk-through shower. He started the water and pulled Justin into a long, slow kiss that had them both hard before it finished.

"You have the most ambidextrous tongue," Justin cooed when Brian's mouth released his.

"How can a tongue be ambidextrous?"

"I don't know, but yours is."

"You're so … juvenile," Brian laughed.

"Hey, don't insult me."

"I meant it in only the very best way."

"Okay then." Justin launched himself at Brian leaping up to wrap his legs around Brian's hips. He felt their hard ons collide and let out a little gasp. "I love you," he whispered before Brian could capture his mouth once again. Finally when neither of them could stand to be separate any longer, Brian set Justin down and turned him around.

Soapy fingers probed and opened. Hard cocks leaked and ached. Needy mouths kissed and caressed. Hungry hands squeezed and kneaded. And then they were locked together as only they knew how. Brian drove into his lover filling him and finding that warm, safe harbor for his desires and his love.

As Brian pounded into Justin the younger man knew that this was the start of something special. They both had big changes in store for them. Justin would have to find another job and Brian would open his own business. Nothing stayed the same forever, but that was what made life so exciting.

"Brian," Justin moaned as Brian hit his sweet spot.

"I know, Sunshine. I know," Brian whispered against Justin's ear. "I love you too."

And then they were coming, quivering and shaking as their orgasms shot through them, locking them together for those exquisite moments before the laws of gravity made them separate.

Justin turned and leaned against the wall of the shower feeling the warm water rinse over him. He pulled Brian against his body and felt Brian's weight lean on him. This was the way it was supposed to be. These were the feelings that they had been missing since the whole Trip Bedford fiasco. It was a fresh start in that department too.

"Take me to our bed, Brian. I want to make love to you all night long." Justin's voice was husky with emotion.

Brian pulled back a little bit and looked into Justin's eyes. He could see the emotion there, and knew that it mirrored his own feelings. "We can do this together. We can do anything as long as we're together."

"I know," Justin said with a small smile which was obliterated when Brian's lips covered his own in another scorching kiss.

Brian led them out of the shower where they dried each other off softly and gently, touching and feeling and reacquainting themselves with all the lovely places on their bodies that made them feel alive. They kissed and caressed their way back to their bed where they made love long and slow.

When they were finished Justin lay cradled in Brian's arms. "I feel great," Justin whispered as Brian held him close.

"Me too," Brian whispered. "I used to hate this part. I never knew what to say, never wanted to say anything. And yet, when we were having problems this is what I missed the most. You used to roll away and fall asleep."

"I'm sorry," Justin said softly.

"Don't be sorry. That was how you coped. I was the one who screwed up … big time."

"But it's over and we're okay."

"Thank the gods."

"I have quite a bit to be thankful for, and hopefully … much more to come in the future. I see nothing but good things ahead for us."

"What … are you psychic now?" Brian teased.

"I've always been psychic where you're concerned."

"You think so, huh?" Brian asked.

"Yep," Justin smirked.

"Then what am I thinking right now?"

"Hm, let's see. You're thinking what a great fuck I am and how you love to hear me laugh and how attractive my ass is and how much you want it again. How'd I do?" Justin asked batting his baby blues.

"Hrmph," Brian reacted. "I always think about your ass. There's nothing psychic about that!"

Justin giggled. "Okay, let me try again." Justin stared into Brian's eyes and looked thoughtful. "You're thinking about your new business. I have to say I'm insulted. After fantastic sex, you think about that instead of me." Justin pretend pouted.

"I just told you that I always think about your ass and the incredible things I can do with it and to it." Brian smirked at his partner. "However, my brain is capable of multi-tasking."

"No shit!" Justin chuckled. "I guess that goes right along with your ambidextrous tongue."

"Twat," Brian laughed kissing Justin's forehead. "What else am I thinking?"

"Hm, you're thinking that you need a good name for your company, and what accounts you might try to win in order to get started."

Brian raised an eyebrow. "Not bad, Svengali."

"See, I told you I'm onto you."

"Don't get too cocky."

"You love my cock too."

"Not as much as you love mine," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"Well, I'll give you that one."

"So, anything else I'm thinking about?"

Justin stared into Brian's eyes and held his breath. "Um … were you by any chance wondering if maybe I would help you with the art work in your new ad company?" Justin waited breathlessly to hear what Brian would say. This would be the ultimate if he and Brian could work together and take the advertising world by storm.

"Wrong!" Brian said emphatically.

"Oh," Justin said his heart sinking. Obviously Brian wasn't thinking along the same lines he was. Brian probably wanted the top graphic artist in Pittsburgh, not some newbie who had just been fired.

Brian watched the emotions flit across Justin's face. He decided he had to put him out of his misery. "I don't want you to help me with the art work…" Brian paused.

"Okay, I get the point. I don't measure up to your exalted standards. You don't have to rub it in." Justin crossed his arms on his chest and glared at the opposite wall.

"If you'll let me finish…"

"Go right ahead. I already know what you're going to say. I'm not experienced enough. You want the best for your new company, just like you're the best at what you do. I'm just some kid who got fired from my job."

"Are you done?" Brian asked when Justin stopped to take a breath. Justin shrugged and pouted some more. "You're right that you don't have the amount of experience that I would like for my art department, but you have something better."

Justin looked up. "I do?"

"You are the most creative and imaginative artist I know."

"I am?" Justin's smile obliterated the pout.

"You are. And that's why I don't want you to help with the art work."

"Oh," Justin said as a light dawned. "You think I should be painting or creating real art, not doing ads."

"Hey, watch it. Ads can be real art in the hands of a master."

"I guess," Justin admitted even though he didn't really believe that. "I suppose I could work on some paintings while I look for a new job. Being an artist doesn't really pay until you're well known."

"I know that, but I really think your psychic powers have failed you this time," Brian smirked.

"How so?"

"I gave you as many clues as I could."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I don't want you to help with the art work at my new company, I want you to be the art department at least until I get on my feet."

"Are you kidding?" Justin asked eyeing Brian warily. Did he really mean it?

"Would I kid you about something this important?" Brian asked innocently.

"That's exactly what you've been doing for the last five minutes … if what you just said is true."

"It's true," Brian said with a little smile. "I was yanking your chain. You nailed it in your third psychic guess."

"You mean it?" Justin asked his face ablaze with a dazzling smile.

"I mean every word … that is, if you want to do it."

"Oh, I want to do it," Justin said rolling on top of Brian. "I can see us working together, making our fortunes, turning the advertising world on its ear."

"Are these more psychic predictions?" Brian laughed as Justin tried to tickle him.

"Uh huh," Justin smiled as Brian's hands roamed over his ass kneading and squeezing. "I see your attention has turned back to the really important stuff," Justin noted with a smirk of his own.

"I told you I was always thinking about your ass. But I'm also multi-tasking."

"Deciding on my new title?" Justin chuckled.

Brian gave him a look and made the sign of the cross to ward off evil. "You're spooky sometimes."

"So what will it be?"

"Let's see, Chief ASSistant to the CEO?"

"It will not! I'm not anybody's assistant," Justin said defiantly. "Not even yours."

Brian raised the eyebrow again. "Okay, then what about Head of Hard and Deep Operations?"

"You are so bad! I want a good title," Justin declared rubbing his abdomen against Brian's and feeling their cocks come back to life.

"Then Head of the Art Department! How's that?"

"Hey, I like it," Justin grinned.

"Of course, you will be the complete art department, but we can still call you the head."

"You're not just saying that so you can fuck me, are you, big guy?"

"Most certainly," Brian smirked.

"Asshole!" Justin griped as he gave Brian's nipple a none too gentle tweak.

"Ow! I may have to demote you," Brian threatened with a mock glare. But Justin felt Brian's dick get even harder and knew that he would never be demoted in any way, shape or form.

"Why don't you fuck me instead?" Justin said latching his mouth onto Brian's wounded nipple.

"Anything to keep the employee happy!"

Chapter 18 - New and Old by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

New and Old

Brian contacted Justin's mother and told her that he was looking for some space for his new ad agency. She agreed to draw up a list of potential office space and get back to him. They had gone and looked at four or five places but none of them were what Brian wanted. He wasn't interested in the traditional highrise office space in downtown Pittsburgh. He wanted his business to be unique and the office space needed to say that. Jenn set about drawing up another list of not so usual business spaces.

Friday afternoon Justin was changing his clothes when he heard a car pull into the driveway. A few seconds later the front door opened.

"Brian?" Justin called.

"Yeah, it's me."

"What are you doing home so early?"

"I've had it. Vance was being a complete ass today."

Justin came down the stairs wearing his slacks and sports jacket over a sky blue pullover sweater.

"You look good enough to eat," Brian said pulling him into his arms for a heated kiss. Brian's hands wandered to Justin's crotch immediately starting to get him hard.

"Um … Brian, we can't," Justin said as soon as he could talk.

Brian pushed him back and looked into his eyes. "Why not?" he asked, the worry evident on his face.

"It's nothing like that," Justin assured him realizing that Brian thought this had something to do with the Trip Bedford incident as he now chose to think of it.

"Then what?"

"You forgot, didn't you?"

"Forgot what?" Brian frowned.

"Forgot that I have a 'date' tonight." He used his fingers to put quotation marks around the word date.

"A date?" Brian asked searching his memory for the piece of information that would help to make sense of this. "Gwen!" he said as realization dawned. "The symphony."

"Almost," Justin laughed. "You get half a star."

"Why?"

"It's the Pittsburgh Philharmonic, not the symphony."

"Since when did you get to be such a classical music aficionado?" Brian immediately regretted his words as soon as they were out of his mouth. Neither of them wanted to think about their separation during the Ethan Gold period.

Justin chose his words carefully. "I'm not especially fond of classical music, but Gwen was trying to cheer me up when she invited me."

"Do you still need cheering up?"

Justin smiled one of his megawatt ones. He shook his head. "You've been doing a pretty good job of that. I especially like the part about working together."

Brian smirked. "Glad I did something right."

"So why are you home so early? Weren't you and Mom going to look at properties?"

"She called and said she was having trouble finding anything that I might want, so we put it off till next week."

"So, I guess you're going to be home all by yourself," Justin smirked.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you about the underwear party that we're hosting tonight. Correction, I'm hosting."

"Asshole!"

"Are you sure we don't have time for a quickie?" Brian asked as he nuzzled Justin's neck and let his hands massage that wonderful ass. He could feel Justin grow hard.

"Brian…"

"I need you," Brian whispered.

"I really don't have time," Justin said before Brian's mouth descended on his and he lost his train of thought.

He could feel Brian's hands removing and discarding the clothes he had taken so long to select. The kisses continued, robbing him of oxygen and making his insides burn with need. Brian's warm hands were everywhere arousing him even more. Brian's tongue was on his neck and his nipple and his ear. He moaned as the assault continued.

Finally when he was sure he couldn't stand it anymore Brian shoved him against the door frame into the kitchen. He managed to kick off his slacks which had pooled around his ankles and threatened to topple him over. He grabbed the door frame to keep his balance but also because his knees were so weak. He hung on for dear life.

Justin felt Brian's hot breath on the back of his neck and it made him shiver. Brian was still fully clothed and Justin was stark naked, all his "date" clothes strewn across the front foyer. He could feel Brian's hard cock trapped in his trousers as the man pressed against him.

"You forgot something about today too, Sunshine," Brian whispered.

"I did?" Justin was having trouble thinking at all, let alone remembering anything special about this particular day.

"It's six months since I … made that mistake. We don't have to use condoms anymore."

"Are you sure?"

"Abso-fucking-lutely."

"Briiaan," Justin moaned as he felt Brian's fingers probing and opening. He felt the coldness of lube being applied and then Brian was pressing into him and it felt so fucking good. It had been so long since they had done it raw, and nothing felt better. It was like every groove and vein of Brian's cock left its imprint inside him. He moaned as Brian continued his thrusts.

"Oh, my fucking god, Brian. I'm going to explode!" Justin cried.

"Hang on just a bit longer," Brian panted as he thrust again and again. He never wanted this to end, but he knew they were both so close.

"Shit! I can't," Justin gasped as he shot his load all over the door frame and Brian came at the same time inside of him, so deep that he could almost taste it.

"Fuck!" Brian panted as he tried to get his breath and stay upright while the room spun around him. He closed his eyes and hung onto Justin.

Justin's nails dug into the door frame looking for purchase, anything to keep him from tumbling to the floor. His legs felt like rubber and his heart was pounding at least double its normal rate. He felt Brian's weight against him and his softening cock still inside him. They hadn't had an orgasm quite like that since before Trip Bedford.

"We're back," he managed to whisper as he felt Brian slip out, and his lover gently bit his neck.

"Yeah," Brian agreed trying to open his eyes and focus. That had been one of the most intense experiences they had ever shared. He snaked his arm around Justin and pulled the smaller body against his own. "That was worth a few extra minutes, wasn't it?"

Just then the front doorbell rang. Justin let out a groan.

"That has to be Gwen and I'm fucking naked."

"Grab your clothes and run upstairs. I'll stall her," Brian said as he adjusted his trousers and smirked at his partner. Bent over picking up his scattered clothes, there was nothing Brian wanted more than to plow that tight little ass one more time. However, he cleared his throat as Justin raced up the stairs. Brian headed to the front door.

He pulled it open with a cheery, "Hello, Gwen."

She looked at the smirk on his face but decided not to say anything as she had just an inkling of an idea about what might have been going on when she rang the bell. The heightened color in Brian's cheeks and his jaunty air spoke volumes. Definitely a self-satisfied man, or rather a partner-satisfied man.

"Is Justin ready? We have a dinner reservation in twenty minutes. I was expecting him ten minutes ago."

"He's upstairs primping," Brian said smugly. "You know how he is."

"Hrmpf," she said letting him know she didn't buy that for a minute. Then she smiled to let him know it was all right. She understood a little bit about lust herself. Marc was one sexy man when he wanted to be.

"Come in for a minute. I'm sure Justin will be right down."

Gwen walked into the foyer and looked around. There was a pair of underwear lying on the third step of the stairs. She smiled to herself. She had been right about what they were doing before she arrived.

"Would you like a drink?" Brian asked moving to the bar and pouring himself a glass of Beam.

"No, thanks. We really need to get going," she said looking at her watch. She hated being late.

"Justin," Brian shouted. "What the fuck are you doing up there?"

At that moment Justin came down the stairs wearing what he had had on a few minutes before. He didn't look too rumpled but his cheeks were definitely crimson.

"I'm ready, Gwen. Sorry to keep you waiting," he said as he gave Brian a death glare. "Let's get going before we lose our reservation."

"I'm so glad you're coming with me," Gwen gushed as she linked her arm through Justin's. "Bye, Brian."

"Enjoy your night at the symphony."

"Philharmonic." They disappeared out the front door with Justin mouthing, "You'll pay later."

Brian merely snickered to himself. Somebody would pay later that night but he didn't think either of them would mind.

-----

Brian made himself a sandwich and then tried to find something on TV. He wasn't used to being alone at night anymore, especially on a Friday night. He had long since forsaken clubbing at least as a regular activity. The clubs had always been the place to find a trick and he hadn't needed a trick since Justin. Even though he refused to admit that to Justin for such a long time, the truth was that he had little desire for other men once he knew Justin was waiting for him. He had fought that realization for many years, but now he was fully committed to it and to Justin. They were tied together in more ways than he liked to think about. And he was about to initiate one more link between them. If he could start his own company, then Justin would be working for him for at least the first while.

Brian finished his sandwich and switched off the TV. He hit the remote for the stereo and had to smile. Justin must have put this CD in. It played, "Let's Hear It for the Boy".

That song had bittersweet memories. It was the beginning of the end of his old life. He shook his head but had to chuckle to himself. Justin had balls. That was for sure. He knew what he wanted and he went after it. Always had.

He also knew what he didn't want. He didn't want a Brian who couldn't show him love and respect in the traditional ways. Back then Justin hadn't understood all the ways that Brian was telling him how much he loved him, without ever saying those words. And Brian had paid the price for his inability to say "I love you".

Ethan Gold! Where the fuck did that name come from? Brian stared at the stereo. Justin was going to hear classical music tonight. He wondered if his husband would be remembering the man he had once left Brian for. How could he help but remember while sitting in a symphony hall. There would be several violinists in the orchestra.

Brian wondered what had happened to Ethan Gold. They had parted ways with a tacit understanding that Ethan needed to value himself and make his way in the world. He needed to leave Justin alone. The last Brian had heard of him he had gone off to study and play in Europe. He was probably still there.

The song on the stereo ended and Brian flicked it off. He was going to go crazy sitting there listening to old songs and dredging up memories that were best left in the past. He grabbed his cell phone which he had set on the coffee table. He hit number three on his speed dial.

"Hey, Brian, what's up?" the familiar voice said.

"Mikey, what are you up to tonight?"

"Are you asking me out?" Michael laughed.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"Um…is something wrong?"

"Wrong? Why do you ask?"

"You haven't called me to go out in what … over a year?"

"Has it been that long?"

"Yes, asshole. Where's Justin?"

"He had a date."

"A date? What the fuck are you talking about?"

"With a woman." Brian couldn't help but yank Michael's chain.

"Have you two gone nuts?"

"No, he's out with Gwen, our next door neighbor."

"Oh … well … I guess that's all right then," Michael said.

"Of course it's all right."

"So what are they doing?"

"They went to the symphony or the philharmonic or some fucking classical thing."

"Classical? Are you sure that's wise?"

Brian knew Michael was thinking about Ethan just the way he had. "It's fine, Michael. It's just a night out for Justin. And speaking of nights out, how about you meet me at Woody's for a drink?"

"Tonight?"

"Yeah, are you busy?"

"Um … can I bring Ben or did you want it to be just the two of us?"

"Bring the good professor by all means," Brian sighed. "I thought we'd shoot a game of pool and have a couple of drinks. That's all."

"Sure, we can do that. An hour?"

"Sounds good."

-----

Gwen and Justin finished up their meal at the little restaurant not far from the symphony hall.

"That was very good, Justin," Gwen smiled. "But I think we better skip dessert and coffee and get over to the hall. It's almost a ten minute walk and we don't want to be late."

"It was good you knew about that parking lot. It should save us a lot of time. We don't have to move the car and we should be able to get out easily when the hall lets out," Justin said as he signaled for the check.

"I discovered it a long time ago. We used to park in the lot next to the hall and then we would be a half hour getting out of it. Marc used to be furious by the time we finally pulled into traffic. This way we get a little exercise and his blood pressure doesn't go through the roof.

Justin signed the credit card slip and they got up to leave.

"Thanks for dinner," Gwen smiled as they walked outside.

"It's a nice night for a stroll," Justin said looking around.

"I think a brisk walk is more in order," Gwen replied looking at her watch.

Justin nodded and they started off at a quick pace.

"The only flaw in this whole parking plan is when it's pouring rain," Gwen laughed as they hurried along.

"It's not supposed to rain tonight, is it?" Justin asked with a frown. "The umbrella's in the car."

"I don't think they're calling for rain, but it wouldn't be the first time that I've come home looking like a drowned rat," Gwen laughed.

"You mean Marc didn't run through the rain and pull the car up to the main entrance to get you?"

"Would Brian do that for you?"

"Not bloody likely. He'd grab my hand and we'd make a run for it."

"Welcome to my world," Gwen laughed as they arrived at the front steps of Philharmonic Hall.

-----

A little before nine Brian arrived at Woody's. He walked in to find Ben and Michael already there. They had nabbed a table to shoot pool. Brian grabbed a beer at the bar and joined them.

"Professor," Brian smirked as he gave Michael a kiss.

"Brian," Ben smirked back.

"So, you ready to have your ass kicked, Mikey?"

"It just might be my night to tan your hide," Michael boasted while Ben smiled approvingly.

"That'll be the day," Brian said as he racked them up.

"I'll watch from over here," Ben said. He took his beer to a nearby table and sat down. He grabbed the newspaper that was lying there and started flipping through it.

Michael broke and Brian proceeded to clear the table.

"Fuck!" Michael reacted when the last ball fell.

"Haven't lost my touch," Brian stated his tongue in cheek. "I need another beer." He headed for the bar.

"How the fuck does he do that?" Michael asked Ben as he walked over to the table where Ben was sitting. "He never practises."

"I bet he has a pool table hidden away in the basement of his house. A secret practiser," Ben laughed. "He probably spends hours at the pool table every night," Ben said trying to cheer Michael up.

Brian reappeared with three beers and handed one to each of them. "Want me to break for you?"

Michael shook his head. "I'm sick of being the butt of your handiwork."

"I thought you were Ben's butt?"

"Ha, ha, ha," Michael said making a face.

"You're so much fun tonight," Brian stated.

"You just miss Justin."

"Yeah, I do," Brian admitted.

"You did pretty well without his crotch to aim at."

"Actually that was always somewhat of a distraction."

"So, how come you didn't go to the symphony too?"

"I wasn't invited."

"You two are never out separately anymore," Michael observed.

"Sure we are," Brian frowned.

"No, you aren't. You're joined at the hip, just like Ben and me."

"Well, we are committed," Brian smirked. He wasn't sure whether he was pleased by Michael's observation or ticked off by it.

"I never thought I would hear those words come out of Brian Kinney's mouth, but here you are. Remember the days when you couldn't even say the word relationship?"

"Ancient history."

"Yeah, I guess it is for both of us."

"Let's sit down and finish our beers." Brian slid into the seat across from Ben and Michael pulled up another chair. "What's so interesting?" Brian asked when he realized Ben was staring at a page of the newspaper as if transfixed.

"There's an ad here for the philharmonic. They're doing Mozart tonight."

"Fascinating," Brian said sarcastically.

"And guess who the guest soloist is."

There was a long pause as Brian frowned. Ben held up the paper and pointed to the ad where the soloist's name was printed in heavy black type.

"Fuck!" Brian managed to get out after he recovered from choking on his beer.

Chapter 19 - A Flash From the Past by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

A Flash From the Past

Justin sat in the audience staring up at the stage. The philharmonic was playing a selection from the Magic Flute. At least it was light and airy, not heavy like some classical music. Justin let out a low sigh. It was almost intermission and it had been okay so far.

They had arrived at the hall with only minutes to spare. After being shown to their seats, which were third row center, the concert had begun almost immediately. They had been treated to several pieces by Mozart. But now Justin was ready for a break. Classical music would never be his thing. There was only so much of it he wanted to listen to at any one time.

Justin found his mind wandering. The last movement that had been played sounded familiar to him. Maybe it was something Ethan had played one time. Justin sat up with a jolt. Where had that thought come from? He hadn't thought of Ethan in years, ever since the violinist had left Pittsburgh behind. Ethan was somewhere in Germany the last he had heard. He thought maybe it was the Berlin Symphony that he had been studying and performing with.

The music ended and there was loud applause. Justin shook himself out of his thoughts and clapped too. The lights came up.

"Let's go get a glass of wine," Gwen said.

"I could use one," Justin said as they made their way out to the lobby. He went to the bar and got into the long line to get drinks. Finally he was able to get them each a glass of wine. They stood near the stairs to the balcony and sipped their wine.

"How have you enjoyed it so far?" Gwen asked.

"I can't say that classical music will ever be my favorite, but it was good."

"I hope it hasn't bored you too much."

"No, not at all," Justin said quickly. He did appreciate Gwen taking him out for the evening, and he was enjoying himself … sort of.

"It's not like Babylon or some of those bars that you've told me about," Gwen laughed.

"Definitely not!" Justin smiled.

"Well, the second half is always shorter, and I see from the program that there is a guest soloist." She had been reading the program while she waited for Justin to get the wine.

"Oh," Justin replied. He hadn't had a chance to look at the program. "I hope he or she is good."

"There's a nice write up about him in the program. He's American but he's been studying abroad," Gwen explained.

Just then the lights started flashing, so they downed the rest of their wine. Justin took the empty glasses over to a nearby table and they made their way back to their seats.

The orchestra played some concerto or symphonium or some fucking thing. It seemed to go on and on. Finally it ended and Justin applauded with all the rest of the audience. Then the conductor stepped to the microphone and started to introduce the guest soloist for the evening.

"This young man is just starting out on his brilliant career. He has been studying in Europe for the last couple of years and his technique which was always flawless has improved even more. We're especially proud of him because he attended our own Pittsburgh Institute of Fine Arts," the conductor explained.

Justin felt his heart leap into his throat. It couldn't be!

"Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to our solo violinist for the evening, Mr. Ethan Gold."

Justin felt his stomach turn upside down. He gripped the arm of his seat and looked up to see Ethan walk out onto the stage. He was carrying his violin and wearing a tux that fit much better than the one he had rented for the Harrisburg concert. Justin kept his eyes riveted on the young man as he bowed to the audience who were applauding enthusiastically. Ethan's eyes swept the audience that was mostly in darkness except for the first few rows that were lit by the glow from the stage. His eyes stopped on Justin and there was a flicker of recognition and then a slight nod.

Justin felt his heart leap in his throat. Ethan knew he was there and he would think that Justin had come to hear him play and he was sitting in the third row and what other assumptions would Ethan put on that fact. Justin's thoughts raced wildly as his heart pounded in his chest. He needed to get out of there, but there was no way he could just get up and run.

"Justin, is something wrong?" Gwen whispered looking at him with worry in her eyes. His rigid body told her something not good was going on.

Justin continued to stare into those eyes, but he couldn't make his voice work. He shook his head. So many thoughts and memories and fears were coursing through him. He found it hard to draw a breath.

Ethan hesitated for just a second as his gaze fell on the man he had loved all those years ago. He held Justin's gaze for a few seconds before he cleared his throat and looked away. He raised his violin and began to play. The tune was one he had played for Justin many times in the past, something ridiculously romantic. It struck him ironic that he had suggested that piece long before he had any idea that Justin might be there to hear him play it. Maybe that suggestion had come from the fact that he was back in Pittsburgh and the memories that evoked. Maybe it came from the wish to see Justin again, from the hope that Justin would be there to hear him play. He poured his heart and soul into the piece, making the violin sing in a way that he was rarely able to achieve. His eyes returned again and again to the blond sitting so close and yet so remote beyond the footlights.

Justin felt like he had been holding his breath for ages when Ethan finally stopped playing. Their eyes had met again and again. No matter how he looked at his former lover, Justin was unable to discern what Ethan was thinking. Justin could feel that the man was playing this song for him, and him alone. He had heard Ethan play it many times before, but he had never heard it played like this. It went straight to his heart and it made him afraid. What was he feeling?

Ethan began playing something else that Justin barely heard. He was still thinking and feeling the emotion of the previous piece. He knew Ethan had played it for him, and his reaction to it scared Justin. He felt so many things, none of which were clear. He tried to sort through them as Ethan started his third and last piece.

This was so unexpected and so … weird. Justin hoped the concert would be over soon and he could escape. He just wanted to get back to Brian and to their home. He didn't want to think about Ethan Gold and all the things that had happened between them. There had been love and violence and fear. It had all been too much.

Ethan finished and the audience was on their feet giving him a standing ovation. Justin remained seated while everyone around him applauded wildly. He couldn't get up. He didn't want to get up. He didn't want to look into Ethan's eyes one more time.

Finally the audience quieted and the philharmonic started to play their last piece of the night. Justin looked at the stage and Ethan was gone, no doubt triumphantly to his dressing room. The orchestra played something soft and soothing and it helped Justin to relax. He was finally able to let go of the arms of his seat. He had had them in a death grip since Ethan Gold had walked onto the stage. Justin tried to breathe deeply and relax. He kept telling himself that it was almost over and he could go home to Brian.

Once again there was applause. The concert had come to an end. People were standing all around Justin and the lights had come up and people were filing out.

"Justin," Gwen said. "Justin, what's wrong?" Her eyes filled with worry as she took Justin's hand.

Justin shook his head. "I'm all right," he managed to say. With all the energy he could muster he pulled himself to his feet. His knees felt a little wobbly and it was still hard to breathe, but he told himself that he could walk. He could get himself out of the concert hall and back to the car and then to the safety of Brian's arms. He turned and started to walk down the now empty space between his row of seats and the one in front of him.

Gwen followed behind him wondering what had happened to upset her young companion. She knew something was definitely wrong, even though Justin said there wasn't.

At the end of the row stood one of the ushers. He looked at Justin and then spoke, "Mr. Taylor?"

"Um … yes," Justin said with a frown. How did this man know his name?

"Mr. Gold asked me to give you this." He handed Justin a folded piece of paper.

Justin looked at it not knowing what it was. Finally he stuck it in his pocket without opening it.

"You got a note from the soloist?" Gwen asked in awe. "How do you know him? Aren't you going to read it? Maybe he wants you to go backstage."

"Not now, Gwen. I need to go home," Justin said still feeling very shaky, and the fucking note didn't help at all.

"Okay, if that's what you want to do," Gwen said. She was disappointed. She would have liked to have met the violinist and maybe have gotten his autograph. "Let's go."

They made their way back to the car. It wasn't raining, so they didn't get drowned as they walked along the street. Justin was silent and only answered yes or no to anything Gwen asked. She knew something had really upset Justin but she couldn't figure out how to get him to talk about it. She hoped Brian would be home when they got there. She had a feeling that Justin was going to need him.

The drive home continued the same way. She was glad she had decided to drive, because Justin didn't seem to be in any shape to do anything. Finally she pulled into her driveway and they got out of the car.

"Thanks, Gwen," Justin said absently.

"I hope our outing hasn't been too much for you," Gwen said with a frown. "I was hoping it would cheer you up, but it seems to have upset you."

"It's okay. I'll see you later," Justin replied heading for his house.

"If you want to talk, you know I'm available."

"I know. Thanks." Justin disappeared around the hedge.

He went in the back way from the pool area. As he closed the door behind him, he wondered if Brian would be home. As much as he wanted to be enveloped in Brian's arms, he wasn't sure he could talk about what had happened tonight. He didn't know what to make of his reaction to Ethan. It had taken him so by surprise. But whatever it was, it had left him feeling very unsettled. He needed to sort out his feelings.

"Justin, is that you?" Brian's voice called from the family room.

"Um … yeah," Justin replied drawing in a long breath. He needed to get hold of himself. "I didn't expect you to be home."

"Where did you think I'd be?" Brian asked as Justin put in an appearance in the doorway to the family room.

"Oh, I don't know, out with Michael, dancing at Babylon, at an orgy…"

Brian chuckled. "I did go out with Michael. We shot some pool at Woody's. But I thought I'd pass on the orgy for tonight."

"That was nice," Justin replied trying to focus on what Brian had said when his mind was a thousand miles away.

"Yeah, it was," Brian said. He was staring at Justin wondering if he was all right. He seemed nervous and maybe a little pale. "How was the symphony?"

"Philharmonic," Justin muttered.

"How was the philharmonic?" Brian repeated.

"Fine. I'm going to take a shower and go to bed."

"Is listening to classical music that tiring?" Brian asked. He wished Justin would just talk to him. He had to smile. That was the reverse of the way things had always been in the bad old days. Brian had been the silent one and Justin had tried to get him to talk. How times had changed!

"I've got a bit of a headache," Justin lied.

"I'll come help you shower. I could wash your hair and massage your scalp," Brian offered. He instinctively knew Justin needed comfort.

"Thanks, but I can do it myself."

Now Brian knew things were really off. Justin never turned down one of his shampoos with massage. He watched Justin walk slowly up the stairs. He'd give Justin a little time and then he was going to get to the bottom of what happened at that fucking symphony.

Justin showered mostly by letting the hot water run over him. It warmed him up and made him feel a little better. So what if Ethan Gold had been the soloist. The concert was over and he didn't have to think about the man ever again. Except that he couldn't seem to stop thinking about him.

There was still a lot of unfinished business between them. He had never seen Ethan after that night Ethan had cut up all of Justin's possessions and thrown them at him. Ethan had said the most vile and hurtful things. Justin could still feel the impact of the wall against his back when Ethan had practically thrown him across the hall to get him out of their apartment.

He had thought it was all right when he got that note from Ethan a couple of days later. It had been shoved under the loft door. Ethan had said he was sorry and that if they ever met again maybe they could be friends. But Justin wasn't at all sure that that could possibly happen. Ethan had hurt him … a lot, both physically and psychologically. Ethan had called him a whore and a cock tease and a no talent hack. What was worse, he had said that Justin had robbed him of his ability to play his violin. Obviously that was no longer true, since he had played so beautifully just a short time ago.

But the words from the past still hurt. And maybe they hurt because there was some inherent truth to them. Justin remembered that he had just been fired from his first real job. Maybe he wasn't as talented as he thought he was. Maybe they had been right to fire him, even if it was at Trip Bedford's instigation. Maybe he had used both Ethan and Brian, running back and forth between them. Maybe he was a user. He still couldn't support himself. How long had this job lasted, a few weeks? Justin felt the tears running down his face and he wiped his hand across his cheeks even though the tears mingled with the warm water.

He let out a shuddering breath and turned off the shower. Maybe he was a fraud and a no talent hack and a user. He had nothing to prove otherwise. Maybe he had been fooling himself all this time thinking that he could make something of himself in the art world. The only one who seemed willing to employ him was Brian. That was some great achievement!

Justin dried himself off and wrapped the towel around his hips. He walked out of the shower into the bedroom. He looked at the bed thinking that maybe if he could fall asleep he could put all these bad thoughts out of his head. He noticed the crumpled pile of clothes he had left on the floor. He better pick them up. He might need to wear them again some time soon. Like when he actually had a job. If that ever happened.

Shaking his head he scooped up the clothes and carried them over to the closet. He shook out the trousers and grabbed his wallet when it fell on the floor. He draped them over a hanger and placed them in the closet. He selected the sweater and underwear and tossed them into the basket for laundry. Then he took his sports jacket and gave it a couple of crisp shakes to get rid of the wrinkles. That was when he remembered the note from Ethan. He had almost forgotten about it with all his other worries. He hung up the jacket and fished the note out of the pocket. He carried it over to the bed and sat down on the side staring at the note afraid to open it.

That was where Brian found him some time later.

"Justin?" Brian said as he stepped into the room.

"Huh?" Justin looked up with a blank expression on his face.

"When were you going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"About the symphony."

"The philharmonic. It was fine."

"I'm not talking about the fucking music. I'm talking about the fucking soloist."

"You know?" Justin looked over at Brian.

"Yes, I know. Did something happen with Ian tonight?"

"He gave me this," Justin said looking at the note.

"What is it?"

"I don't know. I'm afraid to open it."

"Afraid? He can't hurt you anymore."

"I'm not so sure. You don't know what it was like to have him walk on that stage tonight. I had no idea."

"Didn't you read it in the program?"

"No, we were late getting to the hall from dinner. Someone made me late," Justin said looking accusingly at his partner.

"Oh, right," Brian said sheepishly. "So you didn't have time to read the program."

"No, and Gwen read it while I was getting us a glass of wine at intermission. But she doesn't know anything about Ethan. She just said there was some hotshot young soloist. It was a complete surprise when he walked out."

"I'm sure it was," Brian said moving to the bed and wrapping his arms around Justin's shoulders. He pulled his lover against him.

"He saw me, Brian. We were in the fucking third row, and he looked right at me. He … he nodded and it was like he was playing just for me, sucking me in like he did so long ago." Justin let his head fall against Brian's shoulder. He wanted to be protected and loved. He wanted Brian to make Ethan go far away and never come back.

"He upset you," Brian said gently.

"It all came back."

"All?"

"That night. How he ripped everything to pieces. He wanted to destroy everything. He wanted to destroy me."

"But he didn't. You're here and you're stronger and better than ever."

"Am I?" Justin asked looking up into Brian's eyes. "I feel like the piece of shit he said I was that night. I've lost my job and you're the only one who'll hire me, and I'm not really painting anymore, and everything is for shit…"

"Sh," Brian whispered. "None of that is true. You're going to build a new business with me. We're going to work together and make something great. You're a wonderful artist. You should do some paintings while I'm getting the business end of things worked out. You're beautiful and he has no power over you anymore. He said in his last note that he hoped you and he could be friends. Remember?" Brian rubbed Justin's back and cradled him against his body.

"I remember, but it hurt so much that night. He said awful things, and when I saw him that's all I could think about. How much he wanted to hurt me!"

"He's not going to hurt you. I won't let him," Brian declared.

Justin let out a sigh. "I don't want you to have to protect me. I want to stand up for myself. Why do I let things get to me like this?" Justin asked. He wanted Brian's arms around him but he also wanted to stand on his own two feet. "Why do I have to be such a baby? I should be able to handle this by myself."

"Justin," Brian said softly, "listen to me. Are you listening?"

"Yes," Justin whispered. He knew when Brian asked that question that he was going to say something really important.

"You are not a baby. You've been through so much in your young life. You're the strongest person I know. But you also feel things very deeply which is what you're doing right now. There's nothing wrong with that. It's … it's one of the things I love about you. How intensely you feel things. Makes up for me who feels nothing."

"That's not true, Brian. You're just better at covering it up than I am."

"See, there's nothing wrong with feelings."

"Do you realize what you just said?" Justin asked looking up at Brian once again.

"I know. You make me say the damnedest things. I can't help telling you the truth. You do things to me."

"I do?" Justin smiled.

"That's what I like to see. I love that smile."

Justin's smile widened as Brian hugged him harder. "Help me forget all about Ethan," Justin asked as he turned in Brian's arms.

Their lips found each other and their bodies melted into each other. The kiss was sizzling and Justin gasped for breath as Brian finally let him come up for air.

"That was hot," Justin breathed. "Nobody does things to me the way you do."

It was on the tip of Brian's tongue to ask, "Not even Ian?" But he thought better of it and kissed Justin again. His hand slid down and inside the towel effectively spreading it open. He grasped Justin's hardness and stroked.

"Aaah," Justin gasped. "I need you."

Brian pulled the towel out from under his lover and pressed him back into the bed. Justin allowed Brian to have his way wanting the intimacy that they would share. It would help to take away all the bad and confusing feelings that Ethan had stirred up. It would replace them with passion and love.

"No condoms," Brian whispered as he laid himself atop Justin.

"No condoms, just you and me.''

"Together."

"One."

Brian attacked Justin's neck and worked his way down to the hard nubs of his nipples. He used his tongue and lips to make them even harder causing Justin to pull at Brian's hair and take short rasping breaths. He worked on down to Justin's navel sticking his tongue in, thrusting like he would into the tight little ass waiting for him just below. His onslaught continued as he moved to Justin's pubes sniffing and breathing his hot breath against them. Justin moaned. Brian bypassed the leaking cock and headed for Justin's balls. He rolled them around in his hand before latching onto one and sucking it into his mouth. Justin groaned and rose up from the bed only to fall back down as Brian spit it out and attacked the other one. Justin grabbed a handful of Brian's hair and hung on.

"Oh god, Brian, fuck me now!" he commanded.

Brian sat up, quickly threw off his clothes and grabbed the lube. He turned Justin around on the bed and climbed in between his legs. He raised one leg resting it on his shoulder as he flipped open the tube of lube. Justin watched each precise movement knowing that he was in the hands of a master and wanting nothing more than to be one with Brian.

"Pleeease," he begged.

Brian smirked and squirted lube into Justin's hole before spreading some of it on his own rock hard dick. He lifted the other leg to his shoulders and positioned his cock. Before he pressed in he leaned down for another kiss promising so much with his mouth, with his body, with his soul. He grabbed Justin's hips and thrust forward breaching the muscles that tried to hold him back. Justin grimaced and Brian waited for him to adjust before pressing the rest of the way inside. He felt his dick surrounded by the velvet warmth of his lover and stopped for a moment to savor the feel of their union without the condom between them.

"Feels so good," Brian whispered.

"Fuck yes!"

Brian started to thrust hitting all the spots he knew drove Justin wild. He felt Justin rise up to meet his forward motion. Their bodies collided again and again with delicious impact and practised friction. They were made for each other. Each knew the other's body so well. They did all the things that made them pant and gasp and moan.

As their orgasms built Brian stared into Justin's eyes, telling his partner how valued and cared for he was. Justin stared back thanking Brian for being there for him, for cherishing him and having faith in him.

Brian hiked Justin's hips up farther and pumped even more furiously. They both moaned and called each other's names. Brian went deep and then deeper and then impossibly deeper. Justin felt like Brian was either going to split him in half or follow his cock deep inside Justin's body.

Brian grabbed Justin's cock and tugged a few times before letting out a mighty groan as his orgasm swept through him and Justin's ass clamped around his dick. He collapsed atop his lover bathed in sweat and exhausted from what he had tried to communicate to Justin with his actions.

Justin felt the heat of Brian's semen shoot deep inside him and he wrapped his arms around Brian's neck as his own orgasm rocked him. Brian's weight stayed atop him and Brian's cock was still inside. He wanted to stay that way forever. He reached down and threw the covers over them, letting his arm fall over the side of the bed and releasing the piece of paper that he had clutched in his hand the whole time.

Chapter 20 - Revisiting Old Demons by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Revisiting Old Demons

Justin awoke with something pressing on his chest. He opened his eyes to see the top of Brian's head. The man was still sprawled on top of him. It wasn't like Brian to do that, but Justin wrapped his arms around his partner and held on. He had everything he had ever wanted safe in this bed with him. He would never let it go.

Brian slept on as Justin's mind wandered back to the events of the previous evening. What was he going to do about Ethan Gold? Surely the man was only in Pittsburgh to play his concert and then he would move on. Maybe Justin could avoid him for however long he was in the city, and then he would be gone and he'd never have to think of him again.

Ethan wouldn't know where they were. If he tried the loft, someone else lived there now. Justin pulled in a long breath. He was safe. Ethan wouldn't find him.

"How long have you been awake?" Brian asked with his head still buried in Justin's neck. "You should have shoved me off." Brian rolled to the side and onto his back. He looked over at Justin. "Are you okay?"

"Just thinking."

"About Ian."

"Why do you persist in calling him that?"

Brian frowned and then decided to be truthful. "I hate saying his name. I hate all that it conjures up. Ian doesn't have quite the same impact."

Justin's mouth dropped open and he stared at Brian. "He hurt you too, didn't he?"

"He fucking took you away from me!"

"But you let me go," Justin whispered.

"I did. I thought it was what you wanted."

"But it wasn't. I wanted you to tell me that you loved me and wanted me to stay."

Brian sighed. "You know back then I couldn't say those words."

"I guess I know, but it hurts to think about it. Didn't you trust me enough?"

"I didn't trust myself enough. I wasn't sure about anything." Brian ran his hand over his eyes. "Loving you was all so new. I didn't think I was good enough. I'm still not sure I am. I thought you'd leave eventually, so you might as well go to someone that you wanted."

"I'm not going anywhere. You're what I want."

"Still?"

"Always."

Brian rolled towards Justin running his hand along Justin's side. "I almost fucked it all up … with Trip Bedford."

Justin grimaced. "There's another name that doesn't need to be spoken in this house."

"How be we call him Drip instead," Brian smirked.

"How be we never mention his name at all."

"Okay," Brian smiled letting his hand slide beneath the covers to find Justin's morning wood.

"Last night was great, Brian. I had almost forgotten how wonderful it feels to do it raw."

"Yeah, it was spectacular. Did it help you calm down?"

"I was so excited at first," Justin giggled. "And then I was so exhausted that I had no trouble sleeping."

"How do you feel today?"

"I was thinking that Ethan will be here for a couple of days at the most. I never have to see him again."

"You don't want to? You don't want to know what he wrote in his note?"

Justin shook his head. "I don't care. That part of my life is over. It's in the past and it can stay there."

"What did you do with the note?" Brian asked.

"I don't remember."

"It could have been something important."

"Not likely."

"What if he just wants to put everything to rest? Wouldn't that be good?"

"When did you get to be such an optimist?"

Brian snorted. "I'm hardly an optimist. I just thought that you might want to put it all behind you … once and for all."

"I do, and when Ethan leaves town, it will all be behind me."

Brian raised an eyebrow but decided not to say anything else. "You up for something more pleasant?" he asked with a glint in his eyes.

"How could I not be with your hand wrapped around my dick?"

"Is that where my hand is," Brian chuckled. "I forgot."

"Early 'Old Timers'?" Justin chuckled.

"Shit, no!"

"Didn't they used to say you went blind if you played with your dick too much. Maybe it affected your brain." Justin tried to keep a straight face.

"I'm not playing with my dick. I'm playing with yours," Brian said rolling over and effectively trapping said dick between their bodies. "And there's nothing wrong with my brain."

"You may have to prove that, 'Old Timer'." Justin chuckled and then yelped as Brian bit his nipple rather forcefully.

"I think I'm going to have to fuck these evil thoughts right out of you."

"See if you can," Justin challenged, so Brian did.

Some time later they lay half on top of each other recovering from the exquisite pleasure of another incredible orgasm.

Brian groaned and rolled to the side of the bed. "I need a shower. We stink."

"Speak for yourself," Justin chuckled.

"I was, and you stink too."

"Okay, let's shower."

Brian groaned even louder and forced himself upright. Justin's stomach rumbled deep and long.

"Hungry much?" Brian laughed.

"You never let me eat. You just fuck me and fuck me and fuck…"

Brian grabbed his hand and yanked him into the bathroom before he could continue to bitch.

Another round in the shower and they headed for the kitchen with towels wrapped around their waists. Justin was starving and Brian had to admit that he was ready to eat too. Justin toasted a bagel for them to split while Brian beat up some eggs to make scrambled eggs. They wolfed it down and Justin started another bagel. That's when the phone rang.

It was Gwen wanting to make sure Justin was okay. He thanked her for taking him to the concert and tried to assure her that he wasn't upset about the business with the violinist. In fact, he had almost put Ethan out of his mind until her call. The bagel popped up in the toaster and he told her he'd have to go. That was when he noticed that Brian had disappeared. He buttered his bagel and found some jam in the fridge. He had just taken his first bite when Brian reappeared.

"Here," Brian said setting down a folded piece of paper beside Justin's plate.

Justin saw the big "J" on the front and knew it was Ethan's message. "I don't want to see that. Throw it away," he said pushing it aside.

"Usually I stay out of your business, but this time I really think you should read it."

"Did you read it?" Justin asked with an accusatory look on his face.

"No, I didn't fucking read it! I found it on the floor next to the bed. You read it!"

"I don't take orders from you," Justin declared.

"And you're not the boss of me either," Brian said in his best petulant little boy voice. "Read the fucking thing! It could be important."

Justin was tempted to rip the paper into a thousand pieces, but he looked into Brian's eyes and saw concern there. "You really think I should read this?" Brian nodded and refused to release Justin from his gaze.

Justin picked up the paper gingerly like it might spontaneously combust and burn his fingers. With slow deliberate movements he opened the paper and held it without looking at it.

"You may regret this," Justin said.

"I'll take my chances."

Justin looked down at the paper holding his breath. He began to read.

I was so surprised, and pleased, to see you in the audience tonight. I didn't think you'd ever come to see me perform. I can't tell you how good it was to see you. I played that piece just for you. You know the one.

I really would like to talk to you. I need to talk to you. I leave tomorrow night, but could we have coffee or something tomorrow. Call me at 555-8132.

Ethan

Brian studied Justin's face as he read. When Justin didn't say anything after a minute or two, Brian began to regret giving him the note to read.

"Justin," Brian said. "What did he say?"

Justin shook his head. "He wants to have coffee."

Brian let out a breath. That didn't sound so bad. "You could invite him here."

"I could? You'd let Ian come into your house?"

"Our house. Yes, I would, if you think you should talk to him."

"I can't believe you're saying this."

"It's your house too, and if you'd feel safer here, then ask him. I could make myself scarce unless you needed me."

"Brian, I don't think I want to talk to him at all, but thank you for offering to let him come here. You have no idea how much that means to me."

"I think you need to put this to rest, Justin. Call him."

Justin hesitated, but then picked up the phone. Maybe it was time to confront this demon. Maybe it would be good to face Ethan and end this once and for all. He dialed the number on the paper.

"Hello?"

"Ethan, it's Justin."

"You called? I'd just about given up hope."

"I … I almost didn't call. What do you want to talk about?"

"A whole lot of things, but I think it would be best if I said them to you in person, not over the phone."

"I … I don't know," Justin hesitated.

"Please, Justin, I'll meet you wherever you say."

Justin sighed. "Here's the address," he said doubting the wisdom of his actions.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," Ethan said before cutting the connection.

"You okay?" Brian asked. He had listened to Justin's end of the conversation.

"I think this is a mistake."

"I'll be here, Justin. If you want, I won't leave you alone with him."

"Thanks, but if I'm going to do this, I need to talk to him alone."

"Whatever you say."

"Be here when he arrives? I want him to know we're together."

"Of course. We'll meet him together and then I'll leave you alone."

"Thanks."

"Don't thank me. I hope I gave you the right advice."

"So do I."

Some time later, Brian sat at the kitchen table looking at the morning paper, or pretending too. Justin had been a ball of frenetic energy ever since he had called Ethan. He had got dressed and then had run around the kitchen making sure everything was tidied. He had found some cookies and had a pot of coffee brewing. Brian felt like Justin was about ready to jump out of his skin.

"Come sit down here," Brian said.

"I can't. I'm too nervous."

"Sit! Or I'm going to take you upstairs and fuck you into unconsciousness."

"Brriiaan," Justin whined. "I should call Ethan back and tell him not to come."

"He's probably outside the door right now."

"You think?" Justin asked looking in the direction of the front door.

"You'll be fine, just try to calm down."

"I'll try."

The doorbell rang and Justin jumped at least two feet from where he was standing.

"You want me to get it?" Brian asked.

Justin shook his head. "No, but come with me."

When Brian stood up, Justin slipped his hand into Brian's and they walked to the front door. Brian had the feeling he was escorting Justin to his execution based on the vibes that were emanating from his lover.

At the door Justin stopped and stared at the wood structure like it might fly open of its own volition.

"You have to turn the knob, Justin," Brian said gently.

"I know." Justin reached out and managed to grasp the knob. He was sure it was going to electrocute him … or at least he wished it would. Finally he gained the strength to pull it open.

"Justin," Ethan said and then glanced past his former lover to see Brian standing behind him. "Brian," he added.

"Ethan," Brian said using the man's correct name for once.

"Um … come in," Justin managed to get out.

Ethan stepped across the threshold. "It's so good to see you again, Justin."

Brian noted that he had effectively been left out of that statement. "I'll be in the family room working on … something," he said as Justin led Ethan into the kitchen. Neither of them seemed to be paying any attention to him. He shrugged and walked into the family room still within earshot if anything untoward happened.

"This is a great house," Ethan said.

"We like it," Justin replied as he poured them each a coffee. He added two sugars and some cream to Ethan's without even thinking. In fact he was having trouble thinking at all. He handed the mug to Ethan.

"You remembered how I like it," Ethan smiled.

"Yeah, I guess I did," Justin replied as he carried his own coffee to the table and sat down. Ethan followed him. "Cookie?" Justin asked holding the plate out to him.

"No thanks, but the coffee's good."

"It's Brian's favorite."

"I … I'm kind of surprised that you two are together."

"Why?"

"I don't know. You two are so different from each other, and you sort of have this history…"

"Of breaking up?"

"Well, yeah. But I didn't come here to talk about that. There's something I thought you would want to know."

"What's that?" Justin asked with a frown.

"I … I guess there's no easy way to say it, but I'm … HIV positive."

"Oh no, Ethan, I'm so sorry."

"So am I," Ethan said ruefully. "But I guess it was my own fault. I'm not exactly sure how I got it, but I did a lot of fucking around after I left Pittsburgh. I … I wasn't very careful."

"You asked me to do it raw a couple of times," Justin remembered.

"But you never let me."

"Brian taught me that."

"It feels so good without a condom, but the price is fucking high," Ethan said staring into his mug of coffee like it might hold some of the answers to the mysteries of life.

"I know how good it feels," Justin admitted.

Ethan's eyebrow went up. "You and Brian?"

"Yeah, for a while now."

"But doesn't he fuck around?"

Justin shook his head. He didn't really want to discuss his and Brian's sex life with his former lover. "So you don't know who infected you?"

"No, but I've spoken to all the men I've had sex with … at least, the ones I can remember and find. I'm pretty sure I got this after we were together, but you should probably get tested anyway."

"I was just tested and I'm negative," Justin stated.

"Oh," Ethan said staring at Justin.

"We get tested regularly," Justin added not wanting Ethan to jump to the conclusion that he seemed headed for. And he certainly didn't want to get into the whole Trip Bedford story.

"That's wise. This has smartened me up a lot, but it's kind of too late. You were lucky to have Brian to guide you."

"Yes, I was and I still am. I'm sorry to hear about this, Ethan. Are you taking care of yourself? There's a lot that can be done to keep you well."

"Yeah, I've made some radical changes in my lifestyle. I have a good career going and I want to make the most of it while I can. I don't want to end up alone and sick in some…"

"Stop it!" Justin ordered. "Don't say things like that. You have your whole life ahead of you."

"Such as it is."

"Ethan, I'm sorry to hear this, but you can stay healthy for a long time if you look after yourself. You remember Ben?"

"Yeah, how is he?"

"He's still doing great. He's had a few problems, but he has such a positive outlook. That's what keeps him going."

"I suppose."

"Ethan, don't give up. You have so much talent. You can do great things."

"How can you say that after the way I treated you?"

"That was then, this is now," Justin said rather philosophically. "You apologized. That's all behind us."

Ethan looked into Justin's eyes. "I can't tell you what it meant to me to have you attend my performance. I never thought you would do that … even though it was my greatest wish."

Justin felt himself blushing. How could he tell Ethan that he was there totally by accident, that he had no idea that Ethan was going to be performing. The fact was that he couldn't tell him that. It was better to just keep it to himself. "Would you have called me if I hadn't been there?" Justin asked curiously.

"I needed to contact you about the HIV, but when I saw you in the audience it made it so much easier."

"Well, I'm glad we had this chance to talk," Justin said finishing off his cup of coffee.

"Me too. Jus, I wish things had been different between us. I … I really loved you."

"Thanks for telling me that." Justin knew he couldn't say the same thing about Ethan. He wasn't sure he had ever loved Ethan, but he had allowed himself to be swayed by pretty words, words that Brian wouldn't say.

"Do you forgive me?"

"Um … sure," Justin said hastily. This was getting to be a little too much. "Would you like some more coffee?"

Ethan shook his head. "Are you happy?"

"Yes, yes I am," Justin said and he meant. It was a good thing Ethan hadn't asked him that during the Trip Bedford mess.

"That's good," Ethan said softly. "I better go. I have a plane to catch in a few hours."

"Where are you off to now?" Justin asked.

"San Francisco."

"Well, break a leg or whatever…" Justin laughed.

"As long as it's not a hand. Thanks for this, Jus. Bye, Brian," Ethan called as they got to the front door.

"Take care of yourself," Justin replied. Ethan looked like he wanted to give Justin a hug, but was afraid to. Justin reached out and pulled Ethan into a warm hug. "Keep in touch," he said as Ethan walked away and he closed the door on that part of his life.

Justin stood by the door not knowing what to do or say. Brian came out of the family room.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Um … could you just hold me for a minute?"

Brian moved over to him and pulled him into an embrace. He walked them slowly back into the family room and they sat down on the sofa, Brian's arm still around Justin's shoulders. Justin shifted around and leaned back against Brian's chest putting his feet up on the sofa. He felt Brian's arms go around him and pull him tight against his body.

"How much of that did you hear?" Justin whispered.

"Most of it."

"I can't believe that Ethan is HIV positive."

"I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy," Brian whispered.

"At one time I thought he was my worst enemy. It was good to see him, but now I just feel so bad for him."

"Nobody deserves that."

"It … it could have been me …except for you."

"What do you mean?"

"You taught me never to let anyone fuck me bareback. That was one of the most important things you ever did for me."

"I seem to remember that you put up quite an argument that it was the way to go," Brian whispered against Justin's hair.

"I was so stupid and naïve back then."

"I only wanted you to be safe."

"And that's why you told me about Trip, wasn't it?"

"Of course. If I thought what I had done could hurt you…"

Brian's words hung in the air between them.

"It's so important to be honest with each other."

"Like you were honest with Ethan about why you were at the concert?" Brian asked.

"I couldn't tell him the truth about that. It would have hurt him so much, and it wouldn't have made things any better."

"Yeah, I guess."

"I love you."

"I know, and I hope you will always be able to trust me with that love," Brian whispered.

"So far it's working out pretty good," Justin sighed softly.

"Even after what I did?"

"Maybe because of what you did. I think we're stronger and smarter and better now than we were before Trip Bedford."

"You do?" Brian asked. "I thought you would be more disillusioned and hurt and upset."

"I was all those things, but what Ethan just told me kind of put everything into perspective. I am lucky to have you and we're going to be all right."

"Is that really how you feel?"

Justin nodded. He snuggled back against Brian and enjoyed the safety of being in Brian's arms.

Chapter 21 - Habitat by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Habitat

"Jennifer, we haven't seen one place that even comes close to what I want," Brian told Justin's mother. He felt his frustration growing. They had been looking at possible office space for Brian's planned new ad agency all afternoon, and nothing was even coming close.

"I'm sorry, Brian, but I don't think what you want exists," Jennifer replied. She tried to prevent her obvious frustration from creeping into her voice. She wasn't very successful though.

"What else have you got left on your list?"

"Just two places left."

"And what might those be?"

"Well, the closest one is a place that I think you have a lot of familiarity with," Jennifer stated trying not to smile or grimace. She wasn't sure which was most appropriate for the circumstances.

Brian raised an eyebrow. "And what might that be?"

"You'll see in a few minutes," Jennifer said as she made a turn that took her down Liberty Avenue.

"I'm not sure I want to be on Liberty," Brian said looking around. "Although, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea. I could always deke out for a quick fuck." Brian scowled as he saw Jennifer purse her lips and bite her tongue. He was immediately sorry he was being such a bitch. "Jenn, forget that last statement. I'm just reaching the end of my proverbial rope. If we don't find something soon, I don't know what I'm going to do."

Jennifer didn't reply as she pulled into an alley and drove down to the end of it.

"What's this?" Brian asked. "Why are we at the old baths?"

"They closed down when Stockwell was putting the screws to the gay establishments. Never reopened."

"Yeah, I know."

"It's for sale."

"No shit!" Brian reacted.

"Want to look inside?"

"I guess. But I'm not sure I want my clients to have to come down an alley to find my business."

Jennifer shrugged. She didn't think Brian would like this location, but she was running out of places to show him.

They went inside and Jennifer followed Brian as he made his way through the maze of little rooms and corridors into what had once been the steam room.

"Ah, fond memories," Brian said looking around.

Jennifer grimaced. "So what do you think?" she asked.

"It has possibilities," Brian said. He could almost see the space redone, all clean and very modern.

"You actually like this place?" Jennifer asked.

Brian nodded. "Once we chip the cum off the walls, it might work," he smirked. "Something like this is what I'm looking for. Something different. Not your usual business setting."

"Then why not take this?"

"I just might, but I'd like to see the last place on your list. Whatever I decide, I want Justin to see it too and make his input."

Jennifer had to smile at that. "Justin told me that you've asked him to be head of your art department. He was very pleased."

"Did he tell you that he will be the art department?" Brian said.

Jennifer smiled. "He's okay with that."

"He won't be okay if we can't make a go of this." Brian was very aware of the failure rate of new businesses.

"At least you'll be together," Jennifer chuckled as they headed for the car.

"Yeah, starving to death but together."

"You won't let that happen, Brian. You're pretty tenacious when it comes to what you want."

"Like your son? He's taught me a lot."

Jennifer smiled. "You're a good man, Brian Kinney."

"Keep that to yourself. At least until we get this business going, I want to be known as a ruthless cut throat businessman. No niceness at all!"

"Will do," Jennifer stated as she saluted him before they got back in the car.

"So, where to now?"

"You're going to laugh," Jennifer said.

"Am I now?"

"It's a haunted house."

"What the fuck!"

"Just go into this with an open mind," Jennifer chuckled as they headed off Liberty and into an older part of Pittsburgh.

The street had older homes that would have once been the estates of the well to do in Pittsburgh's earlier years. Now many of them were turned into businesses with the signs prominently displayed on the front lawns.

"This part of town is in transition," Jennifer explained. "The old mansions have pretty well been sold off to businesses as the older generation has died or moved into retirement facilities."

"I can't afford something in this neighborhood," Brian said. He recognized the names of companies he was familiar with, none of them in advertising, but well established companies in other areas.

"You might be surprised."

Jennifer pulled into the driveway of a large brick building that had obviously seen better times.

"It's kind of run down," Brian observed, "but I like the shape of it. That balcony is great. And if the balustrade along the front was repaired…" He could almost see himself sitting behind his desk looking out the windows as he made deals left and right. The upper windows would be great for the art department. This was certainly a better part of town than where the baths were located. His clients would appreciate pulling into the driveway here more so than the alley at the old baths.

"Let's go inside and see what you think." Jennifer smiled to herself. She had always thought this old house was a great place in spite of its reputation.

Jennifer led Brian into the house. It was empty but showed some signs of recent renovation. The foyer was very impressive. Brian could see the receptionist for his ad agency sitting at a desk at the bottom of the stairs. The floor was marble and at one time would have been the top of the line in old Pittsburgh.

Off the foyer was a series of rooms. One would have been a library based on the shelves which now stood empty. It could make a great office.

"Picturing your advertising awards strung out along those shelves?" Jennifer asked with a smile.

"Actually, I could fill a shelf or two," Brian said sucking in his bottom lip.

"Come across the hall," Jennifer said.

On the opposite side was the large room that would have been the living room. It would make a great conference room, a place for major pitches to clients. It needed a lot of updating. The horrible wallpaper would have to go.

"This space is … not bad," Brian said liking what he saw.

Jennifer smiled. She could see the wheels turning in Brian's head.

"Behind here is the dining room which could be used as a second conference room or broken down into office spaces for your people. There's a small room that probably was a sewing room. It could also be an office. And this is the kitchen. Big enough for a break room and even some staff meetings if you wanted to."

"Impressive," Brian mused.

"Upstairs we have bedrooms and bathrooms. The master suite would make a great place for the head of your art department and his crew." Jennifer smiled and winked at Brian as they headed up the stairs.

They went into the master bedroom. It had all the windows Brian had seen from the outside of the house. This place really had possibilities.

"Is there an attic?" Brian asked thinking about the renovations Lindsay had done with the attic of her place.

"There is, but I believe it's currently sealed off."

"What the fuck for?" Brian asked. "It could add lots more space."

"You remember I said that this place was haunted. The last butler who worked here was shot and bled to death in his quarters up there. It's been sealed off ever since."

"Thanks for the visual. That's the last thing I needed to know."

"I wouldn't want you to walk into this blind."

"In what way?"

"I believe it's the ghost of that servant that people have seen … up in the attic window," Jennifer explained.

"I don't believe in ghosts."

"That's fine. But it's clear that something has scared away every person who has bought this house. They've all abandoned the place within a year."

"They must be nuts."

Jennifer shook her head. "I know that's what happened. It's part of public record. No owner in the last twenty years has lasted more than a few months."

Brian stared at her. "Okay, suppose I was willing to take a chance on this place. How much would it cost me?"

Jennifer whispered in his ear, and Brian's eyes got very wide.

"For all this, the land and everything? That's highway robbery."

Jennifer nodded. "The current owner lasted about four months before he moved out. He's been trying to dump the place for over six months. I think he'd take even less to get rid of it."

"Holy shit!" Brian reacted. "If I can line up a few clients, I could actually afford this place."

"Don't forget the renovations that you would need to do, and then there's the ghost," Jennifer told him.

"I need to think about this. Do you think you could take Justin and me to see this place and the baths tomorrow? I want his input."

"Of course, I can arrange that."

"Good, then let's go. I've seen enough. Oh, and thanks, Jennifer. I know I've been a bear about this, but I wanted just the right place. I think either the old baths or this place just might be it."

When Brian arrived back at the house, Justin braced himself for another tirade. Every time Brian had gone out to look at potential office spaces, he had come back like a bear with a sore paw. Nothing was right. Everything was wrong. The world was a fucking mess, and Brian wasn't going to put up with it anymore.

Brian walked through the door and called out, "Hey, Sunshine, you home?"

Justin frowned. This was definitely not right. He had retreated to his little studio off the bedroom hoping to remain inconspicuous and out of reach of Brian's bad mood. This didn't exactly sound like a bad mood. Taking a deep breath, he risked a reply. "I'm in the studio."

"I'll be right up," Brian said.

Brian sounded almost chipper. Justin almost giggled out loud. Maybe he had found the right space for the business. That would be great. Then Brian could tell Vance to shove his job, and the two of them could branch out into the rest of their lives and into business … together.

"Come out of there," Brian ordered as Justin could hear him coming up the stairs.

"Um … sure. Did something happen?"

"You bet your sweet ass it did," Brian said as he entered the bedroom carrying a bottle of champagne and two glasses.

"You found a place?" Justin asked feeling his heart leap in his chest. This could be the beginning.

"I found two places," Brian said with a smirk.

"Two?"

"Yep, and tomorrow I want you to come with me. Jennifer's going to take us to both and then you can help me make a decision."

"Wow!" Justin reacted. "How come you couldn't find anything for so long and today you found two?"

"Sometimes it just happens that way."

"So, tell me about them," Justin said.

"Not till you take your clothes off and share a glass of the bubbly with me in our bed."

"That's one invitation I'd never refuse," Justin laughed. He started stripping off his clothes as he heard the loud pop of the champagne cork.

Soon they were propped up against the pillows sipping champagne.

Justin repeated, "Tell me what you found."

"Well," Brian smirked. "We have two choices."

"Two. Okay, so what are they?"

"I think I'll let you see them tomorrow rather than ruin the surprise."

Justin frowned. "Tell me, please," he whispered breathily into Brian's ear. He smiled as he saw the sheet that covered the lower part of their bodies start to tent. "I'll make it worth your while." The sheet rose further as Brian's cock did the same.

"It's a surprise," Brian repeated trying to ignore the obvious craving of his body.

"I want to know now," Justin whispered in the same ear, and then he gave it a lick to punctuate his point.

Brian groaned. "You don't play fair."

"Who said I have to?"

"I want to surprise you, get your first reaction without any preconceived ideas."

"And I want to know now," Justin said nibbling on the soft spot where Brian's neck met his shoulders.

"Little shit!" Brian reacted.

"Your little shit," Justin grinned.

"You're going to have to pay the consequences of your actions. You know that, don't you?"

"Of course, I always enjoy consequences … when they come from you."

Brian laughed. "I really want you to go into this property selection with an open mind. I know if I describe the properties, you'll be influenced by what I say or don't say about them."

Justin sighed. "How can I argue with that?"

"Hopefully you can't."

Justin flopped onto his back and stared up at the ceiling. "Okay, I'll wait."

"Hey … consequences here," Brian said nodding in the direction of the lump in the sheet that indicated his rather impatient dick.

"What good are consequences if I don't get what I want?" Justin smirked trying to keep his face straight when he wanted to laugh at Brian's predicament.

"Why you…!"

Justin giggled destroying the impression that he was serious. "Need a little help with that?" he asked with an angelic smile as he took a sip of champagne.

"It's been a long time since I had to take care of it myself," Brian noted.

"You sure your right hand remembers how?"

"How do you know I'm not ambidextrous?"

"Only your tongue is ambidextrous," Justin declared.

Brian laughed. "Yeah, right!"

"I'll tell you what. If you use your ambidextrous tongue first, then I'll fuck you into next week." Justin smiled a wicked smile at his partner.

"We'll miss our appointment with your mother tomorrow."

"Picky, picky, picky."

Brian grabbed Justin's glass and set it and his own on the night table. "Enough chatter," Brian declared as he grabbed Justin and flipped him onto his stomach. He straddled Justin's legs effectively pinning the younger man to their bed. "So you want to see what my tongue can do?"

"Um, yeah," Justin said looking over his shoulder.

"Okay then."

Brian started with Justin's neck licking and nipping and kissing. He ran his tongue down the length of Justin's spine and into the crack of his ass. The tongue swept across Justin's hole and Brian felt his partner shiver and jump.

"Calm yourself, I'm just getting started."

Justin took in a few raspy breaths. He loved it when Brian ate him out.

Brian's tongue continued its journey down to Justin's perineum. Brian buried his face between Justin's legs and licked the tender skin. Justin whimpered and grabbed the sheets in a viselike grip. Brian looked up noting Justin's actions. He smiled as he hoisted Justin's hips up and stuffed a pillow underneath them. Now he could get to Justin's balls and that's exactly what he wanted to do. He bent his head to nip at each buttock making little red marks that he kissed and licked to soothe the porcelain skin.

He went back to the perineum licking along it until he reached Justin's balls. Brian sucked one into his mouth rolling it around and coating it with saliva before he spit it out and did the same with the other. Back along the soft skin to Justin's hole came the ambidextrous tongue. Brian licked across the hole and watched the muscles clench in anticipation. He blew on the rosy opening making Justin shiver again. His tongue probed gently and Brian felt Justin push back wanting him inside.

He chewed gently at the muscles, covering them with spit and edging his tongue in a little bit only to withdraw it.

"Oh, fuck!" Justin gasped. "Pleeease."

Brian chuckled to himself. He loved to have Justin beg for his tongue, his finger, his dick. He stiffened his tongue and drove in.

Justin rose up with a mighty moan. "Oh God, Brian!"

Brian proceeded to eat out Justin's ass until the young man was a whimpering, pleading pile of goo. Only then did he take his achingly hard dick and ease it into the panting body. Justin groaned as Brian entered him but it was what he wanted more than anything on earth at that moment.

"Yes!" he hissed as he felt Brian fill him almost beyond capacity.

"Hang on, Sunshine," Brian whispered as he drove in and out. Justin thrust back meeting all that his partner had to give. Sweat coated their bodies and their breath came as labored gasps. Brian reached over and linked his fingers through Justin's. This was the way they showed their togetherness, the oneness that they shared. It had been too long since he had used that little intimate gesture, Brian realized, as he continued to thrust.

Feeling the tinglings in his nerve endings and his balls rising up, Brian knew he was almost there. "Ready?" he gasped.

"Fuck, yes," Justin panted and they both exploded.

Brian lay atop his partner trying to get things to come back into focus. When he could see the back of Justin's head after a few minutes, he gently pulled out and rolled to the side. Justin let out a moan and then turned over onto his back.

"Awesome!" was all he could manage to say.

"One of our best," Brian grinned as he studied Justin's flushed face.

"I love you, you know."

"I know, and I think we're almost back to where we used to be before…" Brian didn't finish that statement. He didn't want the specter of Trip Bedford in their bed.

"Yeah, I'm … good," he said and smiled at Brian.

"Then I'm good too."

"So, you don't want to tell me about these places for the new business, huh?"

"No, I want you to be unbiased when you see them. They both have pros and cons. I want your honest opinion."

"You think I know about office space?" Justin asked in surprise.

"It's not just about office space. It's about the image I want my company to have."

"And what image is that?" Justin asked suddenly taking this very seriously.

"Young, innovative, cutting edge, brash, in your face."

"Don't you think you should temper that with things like caring, concerned, welcoming…?"

"See, that's why I need you. I'd never think of those things on my own."

Justin swatted Brian on the arm. "Yes, you would."

"No, seriously, I need you to temper, as you said, some of my wilder ideas."

"Have you got a name for this company yet?"

"I've been toying with a few, but none of them really fits," Brian said with a sigh. "I really want to stick it to Vangard. Steal their thunder and show them how to do advertising properly."

"That's what I love about you. You're so modest," Justin chuckled.

"Yeah, I really should speak up for myself," Brian laughed.

"So, it will be you and me, and Cynthia, right?"

Brian nodded. "She's ready to jump ship with me. And…" Brian hesitated to put his next thoughts into words. "I'm thinking of asking Ted to come aboard to deal with the finances and contracts and all that shit."

"Ted? Wow!"

"You don't think that's a good idea?"

"Well, since his trouble with Stockwell, he hasn't been doing so great," Justin said.

"Then maybe this is just what he needs."

"You're a good man, Brian Kinney."

Brian leaned over and kissed Justin's lips. It was a soft and gentle kiss that conveyed his thanks for Justin thinking highly of him. It still amazed him that Justin could always see such wonderful things in him, even after all the shit they'd been through … like Trip.

"Brian, there would be just the four of us if Ted agrees. Right?"

"Initially, yeah, why?"

"I just thought of a great name for the company."

"Well, are you going to tell me or is it a secret?"

"What about 4Front using the number four instead of the word. You know, there's four of us, and it kind of means the same as Vangard, but out in front of them."

Brian started to laugh. "Oh, Sunshine, that is priceless. I like it. 4Front it is! You'll have to work up a logo around that name," Brian instructed.

"Tomorrow. Today I have other things to do," Justin said with a grin as he rolled on top of Brian and captured those full red lips that he loved. The ambidextrous tongue was about to get another workout.

Chapter 22 - Goals and Ghosts by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Goals and Ghosts

Jennifer drove her station wagon into the alley leading to the baths. Brian was sitting beside her and Justin was in the back. She glanced in the rearview mirror and noted the frown on Justin's face. Her son seemed to know where they were headed and wasn't too pleased about it.

"What are we doing here?" Justin asked as Jennifer pulled the car to a stop near the entrance to the old baths.

"Come on, Sunshine," Brian smirked. "Surely you remember one or two nights we spent here."

Justin felt his cheeks grow red and he looked at his mother who was studiously getting her seat belt undone and appeared not to be listening.

"Brian!" Justin warned. "I know what this is, but surely you're not thinking of starting the new company here?"

"Why not?" Brian said with a laugh as he got out of the car. "If I want to be 'in your face', there's hardly anything that makes that statement more than this place."

Justin shook his head as he followed his mother and Brian up to the door. Jennifer unlocked it and let them in. Together Brian and Justin wandered down the hall looking into the rooms and noting various fixtures or spots that meant something to them. Jennifer stayed back watching.

Brian Kinney had come a long way over the last few years. She could remember the day she found out about him, and how her world had changed from that moment on. She had detested Brian Kinney and everything he stood for. That was, until she got to know him. She would never forget him taking Justin after the bashing. She wondered where her son would be now if Brian hadn't stepped up to the plate and looked after him, helped him in ways that she never could.

She smiled as she saw Justin say something and poke Brian in the ribs. Brian grabbed Justin's arm and pulled him into a hug. The little kiss to the top of her son's head did not escape her notice. They were good together.

"Mom," Justin called. "I like this place. What made you think it would be suitable for Brian's business?"

"I didn't think it would be suitable. I just ran out of places to show him."

Justin laughed. "Well, knowing it was the baths, should have been your first clue."

Jennifer smacked her forehead and laughed. "How could I have missed that?"

"Are we going to the other place?" Justin asked looking at Brian.

"Oh yeah, I want you to see them both."

"But I like this one."

"So do I."

"Then what's the point. Why don't we just take it?"

"I like the other place too," Brian said. "And I want your opinion."

"Okay," Justin said with a shrug. "But I think this is it."

They followed Jennifer out the door. While she locked the place back up, Brian pulled Justin into a kiss.

"See what I mean about this place. It has potential."

"It does," Justin agreed. "I can't imagine what would be better, except maybe for a place that wasn't at the end of an alley."

"You noticed," Brian chuckled.

"Yeah."

"It is a drawback," Justin stated.

"I agree, but the next place definitely is not down an alley."

"Then let's go."

Jennifer had been waiting for them to finish their kiss and their conversation. She liked to see Brian being affectionate with her son. That didn't happen very often around her. It made her feel good that Justin was so loved.

They climbed back into the car and she headed for the old mansion. As they drove along, she debated about telling Justin the haunted history of the house, but she thought she'd wait until he had seen the place.

As they pulled into the driveway, Justin looked at the house. "Wow! This is some place. It's kind of rundown, but it could be great."

"That's what I thought too," Brian said as he got out of the car.

Justin stood in the driveway staring at the old mansion taking it all in. His eyes went to the upper windows. "That upper level would make a great place for the art department."

"My thoughts exactly, Sunshine," Brian said with a smile. He and Jennifer headed for the door. Justin remained standing looking up at the house undoubtedly envisioning how it would look if it was all fixed up.

"Justin, are you coming?" Jennifer asked as she opened the front door.

Justin was looking at the top of the building when something caught his eye. It was some kind of movement in one of the windows at the very top of the house. He blinked and looked again, but didn't see anything. However, he was sure there had been a figure in the window.

"Is … is this place occupied?" he asked his mother as he walked towards the front door.

"Oh, goodness no," Jennifer laughed. "We can't get people to stay here to run a business, let alone live here."

"What do you mean?" Justin asked.

"Rumor has it that the house is haunted. Nobody who has tried to run a business here in the last twenty years has lasted longer than a few months."

"You're not serious, are you?" Justin asked as he felt a riffle of cold run down his spine. Just what had he seen in that upper window?

"I warned Brian, but he liked the place anyway, and the price is certainly right," Jennifer explained.

"But…" Justin began, but wasn't sure what he wanted to say. He shook his head and remained standing at the front door.

"Is something wrong?" Jennifer asked.

"I could have sworn I saw someone in the window at the very top of the house."

"The ghost," Jennifer whispered.

"Mom!"

"Hey, don't scare the boy," Brian smirked.

"I did see something," Justin said, "and I'm not a boy."

"Ghosts!" Brian snorted. "There's no such thing."

"Tell that to all the other people who have owned this place and then refused to stay here," Jennifer declared. "Do you want to leave?" she asked Justin.

"I want you to see the inside," Brian said taking Justin's hand. "You're not going to let a big, bad ghost scare you away, are you?"

Justin let himself be led inside. He looked around the foyer and smiled. This would have been a beautiful, even regal home, but it could make an impressive setting for Brian's business too. They went into what had been the living room and the dining room and the kitchen. Jennifer and Brian laid out for Justin the potential that each room held. Then they went upstairs and let Justin fall in love with the master bedroom with its set of windows that looked out the front of the old house.

Brian watched Justin's face and saw his lover grasp the full impact of what the mansion could become. Justin turned to face Brian and his smile was radiant. He looked into Brian's eyes.

"This is the place you want, isn't it?" Justin asked.

Brian had to be truthful so he nodded his head. "I like it," he said simply.

"Me too," Justin said full of enthusiasm. "It's a great location, much better than the baths, and the rooms are spectacular…or will be when they're redone. I think I know just the kind of colors and furnishings that should work."

"You do, huh?" Brian grinned. "Don't I get a say?"

"Of course you do," Justin said with a little frown. Maybe Brian already knew how he wanted everything to look. It would be Brian's building after all. "But I can help, can't I?"

"I'm counting on you."

Justin smiled and walked into Brian's arms for a hug.

"You haven't seen what will become Brian's office," Jennifer said from behind them. "If he decides to take the place."

"Have you been holding out on me?" Justin laughed.

"I knew the art department would be more impressive … as far as you're concerned," Brian said with a smile.

Justin leaned up and kissed him. "Let's go see the domain of the great ad god Kinney," Justin joked as he took Brian's hand.

They went out onto the landing and Justin had the strangest sensation that someone was looking at him. He glanced around wondering where it could be coming from. He noticed the way the stairs ended abruptly with a wall.

"Did there used to be stairs going up there?" Justin asked. He felt drawn to see who or what had been at that window in the attic.

"Yes, the attic has been sealed off. There was a death up there," Jennifer said softly.

"The ghost?"

Jennifer nodded. "You know, if this is too spooky, you don't have to take this place. I won't be offended."

"Come see the office," Brian said changing the subject. He started to usher Justin down the stairs. Justin looked up at the wall where the stairs should have continued. He could have sworn he saw a shadow pass across it, but it didn't give him a cold feeling this time. He suddenly felt warm all over.

"Brian," Justin said halting their descent. "Kiss me."

"Huh?"

"Kiss me."

"Anytime, Sunshine," Brian said pulling Justin into a very warm and tender kiss.

Justin smiled into the kiss. He could feel the warmth all around him. There was definitely something going on in this house, but for some reason it didn't frighten him anymore, didn't make him feel cold inside. In fact, if anything it made him feel just the opposite, warm and accepted and … loved.

Brian released Justin from the kiss. "When did you become an exhibitionist, putting on a show for your mother?"

"Um … that wasn't what I was doing," Justin said in a faltering voice. He wasn't sure he could explain what just happened.

"What's going on?" Brian asked with a frown.

"Can we talk about it later? I want to see your office."

"Okay." Brian started down the stairs once again. Jennifer was waiting for them at the bottom.

"Do you always stop and kiss on the stairs?" she asked with a grin.

"Not always, but when the spirit moves us…" Brian laughed. "Get it, spirit, ghost?"

"Very funny," Jennifer said.

Justin didn't laugh. He had definitely felt a spirit or … something, when they were kissing. This place seemed to have a life of its own.

Brian led him into what had been the library. Justin smiled as soon as he stepped through the door. He could definitely see Brian sitting at his desk in the bow window at the front of the house. It would make a beautiful and impressive office.

"This could be spectacular, Brian," Justin stated. "I love it!"

"Me too," Brian agreed. "So, which place do you think we should take?"

"I don't want to be hasty. I think we should go home and talk about it," Justin said.

"Okay," Brian sighed, "but I already know which one I want."

"I do too, but we still need to talk. There's no rush, is there, Mom?"

"Neither property is likely to be snapped up tomorrow," Jennifer admitted. "Think it through carefully because this is a big decision."

"Yes, ma'am," Brian said.

"Let's go," Justin chuckled.

They made their way outside and back to the car. As Jennifer turned out of the driveway, Justin couldn't help but look up at the window in the attic. This time he didn't see anything. He wasn't sure whether he was glad about that or not.

Jennifer stopped her car in front of Brian and Justin's house. "I love this place," she said.

"And we wouldn't have it without you," Brian said squeezing her arm. "Hopefully you'll be our good luck charm with the new business too."

"I hope so," Jennifer said with a smile.

"Thanks, Mom," Justin said as he got out of the car. He started towards the house and then turned back. "Mom, what was the name of the people who owned the house when the butler was killed?"

"Until about twenty years ago it was owned by the Baggley family. They owned the house since the late eighteen hundreds. I think they actually were the ones to build it. They had only one child, a daughter. After the murder and the subsequent death of her parents Clarissa Baggley lived in the house alone. She never married and was quite the recluse. The house was put up for sale when she died about twenty years ago, and that's when all the ghost stories and strange happenings began."

"Do you think she's the ghost?"

"I don't know," Jennifer admitted.

"Do you know the butler's name?"

"No," Jennifer replied. "But it was quite a famous case. I'm sure you could find out in the newspaper archives."

"Thanks," Justin said.

"Why are you so interested in the story?"

"Just curious," Justin replied. "Thanks for finding these two places. Brian has been much more civil since you directed him to those two."

"I'm right here, Sunshine," Brian snarked. "Do you think I'm that hard to please?"

"You, never!" Justin laughed.

"Let me know what you decide," Jennifer said before she drove away.

"So why all the questions about the Baggley place? Is it the one you think we should select?" Brian asked.

"I haven't decided yet," Justin said. "I'm hungry. Would you mind going to Domenic's for some lasagna? I'd really love some."

Brian raised an eyebrow. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing, I just feel like lasagna, and Domenic's has the best."

"Okay," Brian said pulling out his cell phone. "I'll place the order. Are you coming with me?"

"Um … no, I want to think about the two properties … without any influence from you," Justin said giving Brian a gentle elbow to the ribs.

"You think I would try to influence your choice?"

"It's been known to happen," Justin laughed.

"I can't believe you accused me of that," Brian said trying to sound stricken.

"Go get the food, and let me think in peace."

As Brian climbed into the Corvette, Justin went into the house and straight to his computer. He logged on and started searching for anything about the Baggley family that he could find. He also wanted to learn about the murder of the butler.

By the time Brian returned with the lasagna, Justin had gained a lot of information. He left the computer to join Brian in the kitchen. His stomach was rumbling and he was really hungry. Brian was setting out the lasagna on plates with salad that he had bought to go with it. There was also several chunks of garlic bread. Justin's mouth watered at the site.

"Garlic bread," Justin said practically drooling.

"All for you."

"Un unh," Justin replied. "If I'm having garlic so are you. Otherwise we won't be … you know," Justin giggled.

"Well, if I have to," Brian laughed taking a big bite of the garlic toast. "You are such a bad influence on me. You better help me work this off later."

"I intend to."

Brian smiled and studied Justin's face as he shoveled in salad and lasagna. "What did you find out about the Baggleys?"

"Huh?"

"I know you sent me on the food chase so you could research the house."

"You know that, huh?"

Brian nodded. "What did you find out?"

"Not as much as I would have liked. I still don't know who the ghost is."

"Tell me what you did learn," Brian said as he picked at his lasagna.

"Well," Justin said swallowing a mouthful of lasagna. "The Baggleys were a very prominent family in the late eighteen hundreds. Most of their money came from using steel in the manufacture of various products. The house was built in 1899 after Joseph Baggley met and married Blanche Cathcart. They didn't have any children for several years. Finally in 1908 they had one child, the daughter that Mom mentioned. Her name was Clarissa and she never married."

"What about the butler and the murder?" Brian asked.

"That happened two years after Clarissa was born. According to the newspaper accounts, the house seemed to have been broken into while only the butler and the child were at home. The Baggleys were out at the theater. When they came home they found the butler murdered in his room and their daughter safe in her crib."

"That's weird," Brian said with a frown.

"What's weird?"

"Why would the butler be up in his room while the family was out and the house was being broken into?"

"I wondered that too. I thought maybe someone was trying to kidnap the little girl. They had a lot of money, but there's no mention of anything to do with the child."

"Was the murderer ever caught?"

"No, and there was hardly any mention of the crime or suspects or anything after a couple of days," Justin explained. "I tried every source I could think of to try to get more information, but that's all I could find."

"So, the ghost must be the butler, waiting for someone to avenge his death," Brian said.

"That would be my guess," Justin replied as he cleaned off his plate and took the last piece of garlic toast.

"I doubt that his murder is ever going to be resolved after all these years."

"I know, so that means we're stuck with him unless someone from the cold case files comes up with a new theory."

"So, what do we do about 4Front?" Brian asked.

"You like the Baggley place, don't you?"

Brian nodded slowly. "It's a much better location than the old baths. It could be really done up to be a classy establishment."

"That's what I thought too."

"But … and it's a big but. What if the ghost scares our workers and clients away?"

"That would not be good," Justin said with a sigh. "Do you think we should risk it? The baths might be safer."

"Safer, but not better."

Justin shrugged. "What do we do?"

"We take the Baggley place and we make it the biggest, fattest, most incredible success that Pittsburgh has ever seen."

Justin started to smile. He couldn't stop himself. He loved it when Brian got like this, all decisive and forceful, the consummate businessman making decisions without a second thought. Justin stood up and moved around the table. He plunked himself down on Brian's lap.

Brian let out an oomph and said, "Wow, that lasagna sure is heavy."

Justin swatted him and then kissed his lips caressing them with his own and gently forcing his tongue into Brian's mouth. "I thought we could work off that garlic bread now," Justin whispered.

"That could be arranged."

"Good."

"Have we made our decision?" Brian asked.

"Yep, the Baggley place is our mutually agreed upon location."

"Done," Brian said gently shoving Justin off his lap. "Let's get working on that garlic toast. We can call your mother tomorrow." He took Justin's hand and led him towards the stairs.

Suddenly Justin hung back. "Brian, wait. Do you believe in the ghost now? You said you didn't before."

"I know something affected you while we were in the house," Brian said slowly.

Justin nodded. "It did."

"Were you afraid?"

Justin frowned. "At first, I was. I saw that figure in the attic window and I didn't know what it was. But upstairs in what will be the art department I felt something. It was like someone was watching us. When you hugged me and kissed my head, I felt … approval."

"Approval?"

"Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but I did. That's why I asked you to kiss me on the stairs. I felt the same thing."

"You're starting to spook me out, Sunshine," Brian said with a frown.

"I'm not trying to. It's just what I felt."

"What does it mean?"

"I'm not sure, but it didn't feel like we'd be driven out of the house. That's why I'm okay with choosing it for the business."

"Are you saying we have the ghost's approval?" Brian asked raising an eyebrow.

"Something like that."

"But … we don't even know for sure that the ghost is the butler, and why would he give his approval to us?"

"Maybe he's tired of haunting the place. Maybe he's ready to … rest."

"Let's hope so," Brian said. "Enough about ghosts. Come on, I want to fuck you."

"And I want you to fuck me too," Justin giggled.

Brian took Justin's hand again and started up the stairs.

"Brian," Justin said. "I think we should fuck in the art department when we get possession of the house."

Brian turned to look at his partner. "You want to put on a show for the ghost?"

"Yeah."

"Well, fuck me! You're getting to be quite kinky in your old age," Brian chuckled.

"Are you up for it?" Justin challenged him.

"I'm always up for a fuck. Besides, we need to practise up for the ghost."

"Asshole!" Justin laughed as they ran upstairs.


Chapter 23 - Mutual Consent by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Mutual Consent

"Jennifer, we want the Baggley place," Brian said into the phone.

Justin was holding onto him, his hand firmly planted on Brian's shoulder. They were both breathing rapidly. This was a big decision, and they both hoped it was the right one.

"Are you sure?" Jennifer asked coolly. She had been hoping that would be the one they selected, but she was also worried about what had happened to the businesses that had tried to start up in the Baggley house over the years.

"We came to a mutual decision," Brian said looking up at Justin for confirmation. Justin nodded his approval. "We want the Baggley house."

"You realize what happened to the last five businesses that tried to set up shop there?"

"I know," Brian sighed. "Maybe six is the charm."

"Okay, then I'll get started on the paperwork. You should have it inspected. I know someone who can do that, if you give me the go ahead."

"Sounds good," Brian replied. "What should we start at as an offer?"

"Let's get the inspection done, then we'll know if there are structural issues that will have to be dealt with. That will dictate the offer to some extent."

"Thanks, Jennifer, I trust your judgment."

"You know I only want the best for you and my son."

"I do," Brian smiled.

"I'll get back to you as soon as the inspection is completed."

"Talk to you soon." Brian hung up the phone.

"So it begins," Justin said with a smile.

"I really need to talk to Ted," Brian said.

"You haven't talked to him yet?" Justin asked surprised.

"Since he got out of rehab, I've been waiting to see how he does."

"Are you worried that he's not stable enough to handle a big job like this?" Justin asked with a worried frown.

"I'm a little concerned. I know Ted can do it. He's plenty smart. But, I don't know how stable he is emotionally. That crystal meth really screws with you."

"I know," Justin nodded. "I wish we had been able to help him."

"There's nothing you can do for someone who doesn't want your help."

"I guess."

"Now that he's checked himself into rehab and gone through the program, I think he's ready for a new start in his life. I hope this job can be it."

"Me too. I always liked Ted," Justin said sincerely.

"So do I, but don't tell him that."

"Why don't you call him? We could ask him over for dinner."

"Dinner?"

"Yes, dinner, the meal between lunch and bedtime," Justin said with a chuckle.

"I don't think we've ever had Ted here by himself. He always comes when we have the gang over."

"And that's not very often these days," Justin observed.

"Well, you were working, and there was the whole Trip Bedford thing. I didn't feel much like entertaining, did you?"

"No, I didn't, but that's all behind us now. I'm looking forward to starting this business and working with you and Ted and Cynthia. Without him we'll have to call it 3Front," Justin giggled.

Brian glared at his partner. "Without Ted we'll be screwed. And I'll kill you if you ever tell him that. But I know next to nothing about contracts and payroll and God knows what. That would all be Ted's domain."

"Wow, I didn't think of any of that. You better call Ted right now and I'll see what succulent thing I can come up with for dinner. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

"I don't want his heart, but I'll settle for his head, and everything that's in it," Brian stated.

"Then go, call."

"Okay, okay," Brian said picking up the phone.

"Hello," Ted's voice came over the wire.

"It's Brian Kinney. Would you by any chance be available for dinner tonight?" Brian said in his sweetest voice.

"Me? Dinner? Tonight?" Ted stammered.

"Yes, dinner, tonight," Brian repeated trying not to laugh out loud. "Are you turning into a fucking parrot?"

"What's wrong?" Ted said ignoring Brian's snark. "You never ask me to go anywhere."

"Then consider this a new experience," Brian chuckled.

"Um … will Justin be there?"

"Yes, why? Oh, shit! You didn't think that…"

"No, no, no," Ted almost moaned. "Of course not, nothing like that, nothing at all. What time do you want me there?"

"Seven."

"Sure, seven, I'll be there. No problem."

"Good," Brian said before he cut the connection.

"Is he coming?" Justin asked as he pulled some steaks out of the freezer.

"At seven."

"That's good."

"He … he thought I was inviting him here for … spurious reasons," Brian laughed.

"You're kidding." Brian shook his head. "He thought you wanted to…" Brian nodded. "Oh, my fucking God!"

"See, everyone wants me," Brian smirked.

"But Ted, ew."

"Ted's not that bad."

"Stop it right now, Brian Kinney," Justin demanded. "You're trying to make me jealous."

Brian smirked again. "Ya think?"

Justin glared at Brian. "You want Ted to work for you, then you're going to have to be nice to him. Now, help me decide what to have with the steaks."

"Yes, dear," Brian replied sucking his bottom lip into his mouth.

*****

"Theodore, old man, come on in," Brian said holding the door for Ted and then slapping him on the back.

Ted looked frazzled to say the least.

"Hi, Ted," Justin said coming out of the kitchen. "Would you like a drink? Dinner will be a few minutes."

"Um, yeah," Ted replied with a smile for Justin. "Thank you for inviting me, although I'm not sure why I'm here. There isn't a surprise party or something, is there?" Ted asked looking around.

"Oh God, Ted, it's not your birthday, is it?" Justin asked.

"No, no, it's not, but the invitation really confused me," Ted admitted.

"Here, drink this," Brian said shoving a glass of vodka into Ted's hand.

"I really can't have alcohol," Ted said holding out the drink to Brian. "Um, could I have a soda or some iced tea, or something?"

"Sure, I have iced tea in the fridge," Justin said hurrying into the kitchen. This wasn't going well.

"So, you're on the wagon now, are you?" Brian smirked and took the glass from Ted. He threw his arm around Ted's shoulder and drew him into the family room.

"They don't allow us to touch anything addictive," Ted said.

"Well, we wouldn't want to go against what they say, now would we?" Brian said sitting down on the sofa.

Ted took the armchair across from Brian. Justin reappeared and handed Ted a glass of iced tea.

"Thanks," Ted said looking relieved to have something in his hand, something that he was allowed to have.

"I'm putting the steaks on," Justin said.

"Leave mine till the end. I like it rare," Brian said. "What about you?" he asked looking at Ted.

"Um, medium."

Brian snorted. "Charred!"

"Not everybody likes their meat raw," Justin said as he left the room.

"So how are you these days?" Brian asked studying Ted. He thought Ted looked thinner but his eyes seemed clear and other then appearing somewhat nervous about being in Brian's house, he seemed to have his shit together.

"Not bad, not bad," Ted said. He didn't remember Brian ever asking him how he was before. "I'm on the road to recovery. Clean as a whistle and desperate for a job."

"Oh?" Brian's ears perked up at that statement.

"I … I have to admit that crystal meth eats into your finances," Ted admitted reluctantly. "I'm glad I didn't lose the condo."

"Yeah," Brian said with a raised eyebrow. He hadn't realized that things were quite that bad for Ted.

"If I don't find a job soon, I could still lose it."

"Not good," Brian commiserated.

"No, it isn't, but a resume that says you just got out of rehab doesn't sell very well these days."

"I can imagine. Do you have to tell them?" Brian asked, curious as to why Ted didn't just keep his drug problems to himself.

"Part of the Twelve Step Program is being totally honest … with myself and with everyone else. I don't want someone to hire me without knowing. Keeping that secret might push me back into crystal again."

"I see," Brian replied. He was interested in the workings of Ted's mind. He was beginning to think Ted could be ready for the job he wanted to offer him.

"I still have trouble believing I spun out of control the way I did," Ted said shaking his head and then taking a sip of his iced tea. "I was so shitty to Emmett, and all he did was try to help me. It wasn't like me to treat people that way. I was really a pathetic loser."

"You don't look like a loser to me," Justin said coming in from the kitchen. "You look like someone who's weathered a storm and come out the other side."

"Thanks, Justin, that's good to hear," Ted said with a smile.

"Dinner's ready."

They all got up and made their way into the dining room where Justin had set a fine table. Steaks waited on their plates along with a baked potato and a huge bowl of salad.

"This looks great," Ted said as he sat down. "I don't get many invitations to dinner nowadays. Hell, I never get invited anywhere."

"Those times are about to change … if you want them to," Brian said suddenly. He had heard enough. He was ready to make his offer.

Ted glanced over at Brian. He had been scooping salad onto his plate. He finished doing that and handed the salad bowl to Brian. "What do you mean?"

Brian stared at Ted sizing him up. He wondered how the man was going to react. "I have a proposal for you," Brian said finally as he got some salad for himself.

Ted finished fixing his baked potato. He didn't understand what was going on. He decided he better make a joke. "I haven't had a marriage proposal in like … forever," Ted laughed. "Don't you think Justin might be a little put out?"

Nobody laughed and Ted felt suddenly very self-conscious. Maybe this was all some kind of elaborate plot to make him more humiliated than he already was. He wouldn't put it past an asshole like Brian Kinney. But then he remembered that although Brian often hit him with verbal barbs, he never was deliberately cruel. Mostly just age jokes, and dull accountant jokes. Although, nobody could use those anymore, since no one would hire him as an accountant or anything else, for that matter. Ted cut a piece off his steak and stuffed it in his mouth. He decided he better eat something quickly before they asked him to leave. It wouldn't surprise him if that was going to happen at any minute.

"Ted," Justin said gently. "Listen to Brian for a moment."

"Yeah, sure, right, no problem." Ted chewed his steak and turned to face Brian. "Excellent steak, by the way."

"Thanks," Brian said staring at Ted. "I've decided to open my own advertising agency," Brian said looking into Ted's eyes.

Ted averted his gaze. This must be the punchline. 'I'm opening my own agency and you're not, Ted. Ha! Ha! Ha! You're a pathetic loser, Ted,' were the thoughts that ran through Ted's mind. "That will be exciting," Ted replied aloud, but without much enthusiasm.

"I think so," Brian said with a frown. Ted obviously wasn't getting the point.

"What are you going to call the new place? Kinetic?" Ted joked.

"Actually that's not bad," Brian said thoughtfully.

"We're calling it 4Front, using the number four instead of the word," Justin supplied.

"That's clever," Ted replied shoveling in some more steak and potato.

"Even more so since there are going to be four of us getting this enterprise off the ground," Justin said with a smile at Brian.

"Oh yeah? Brian and that lovely woman, Cynthia, I would imagine," Ted said with a wistful look. "She was very nice to me when I worked at Ryder for a day or two."

"Cynthia's great," Justin said. "And yes, she's planning on coming over to 4Front."

Brian studied the two of them not saying anything. He was going to let Justin reveal what was going on.

"So, who else will be in this mighty quartet?" Ted laughed.

"Me," Justin replied.

"You? Oh, that's great."

"I'll be head of the art department at 4Front," Justin said.

"Sunshine, I keep telling you that you are the art department. There's no one else, just you," Brian said with a smile.

"I know, but we have to think big."

"Big, yes, definitely, big," Ted mumbled. "There must be one more, since my very notable accounting skills tell me that that only makes three," Ted chuckled. He wished they'd just get this over with. "Who else is part of it?"

"Well, he hasn't actually signed on yet," Brian said slowly. "But I'm hoping he will."

"Stealing someone from a rival agency?" Ted asked with a wry grin. "Sounds like you."

"No, that's not it," Brian said wondering if he should just come out and ask Ted.

"We want you to be the fourth," Justin blurted out.

"Fourth what?" Ted asked innocently.

Brian and Justin stared at him in disbelief. Ted frowned and then the light began to dawn.

"You…you're not asking me to work at your agency, are you?" he managed to get out. Brian nodded. "You are? You mean it? You want me to work for you?"

Brian nodded again. "That's what I've been trying to tell you. For a smart man, you sure are slow on the uptake. If you're going to work for me, you'll have to be quicker than that."

"Oh? Oh, yes, yes, I can do that," Ted blathered. "I mean … you want me? You really want me?"

"Yes, Sally Field, I really want you," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

"I … I can't believe it," Ted said with a stunned expression on his face. "When you asked me to come over here, I couldn't figure out why. And now you offer me a job. I don't know what to say."

"Yes would be good," Brian snarked.

"I … yes, of course, yes! But are you sure? I mean … I was an addict. I'm still an addict."

"But you're not a user, are you, Schmidt?"

"No, never, never again," Ted said crossing his heart and holding up his hand.

"Then we're good. I need a man who's good with accounts, payroll, contracts," Brian explained.

Ted's smile began to spread across his face. "I can do that."

"I'm counting on the fact that you can," Brian said.

"Yes, Boss," Ted said softly, trying out the unfamiliar phrase on Brian.

Brian smiled. "You got that part right. And you will have to stay on the straight and narrow if you're going to work for me."

"I really appreciate the chance you're giving me," Ted said. "I really need a job. My bank account is just about empty."

"We're not going to be up and running for a while yet," Brian said. "If you need money to tide you over, I could issue you an advance. We could call it a signing bonus."

"I really appreciate that offer," Ted replied. "I'm okay for a little while. If it gets desperate, I may have to take you up on that offer."

Brian nodded and didn't say anything more. He took his bite of steak and chewed thoughtfully.

"I'm looking forward to working with you, Ted," Justin said.

"I'm looking forward to working, period," Ted laughed. "Oh, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I meant that I'll be happy to work with you too, Justin. And Brian, that goes without saying. I'm just so happy to have a job. I don't know what I'm saying. Just ignore me." Ted finally stopped.

"You make that rather difficult," Brian said with a mock glare.

"I'll do better, I really will."

"Enough, Theodore," Brian said.

"Right, Boss, sure, Boss, no problem." Brian glared at his new employee. Ted made the 'lock the lips and throw away the key' gesture on his mouth and finished off his steak without another word.

"Would you like some dessert?" Justin asked as he started to clear away their dinner plates.

"Just some coffee, please," Ted said.

"Brian, why don't you and Ted move into the family room and we'll have coffee there. Maybe you should discuss Ted's job description," Justin suggested.

Brian stood up and Ted did so immediately after. He followed Brian into the next room. They took the seats they had occupied before. Ted waited as he could smell the coffee brewing in the kitchen.

"I really appreciate this offer," Ted said again, feeling the need to say something.

"Do you know much about contracts?" Brian asked. "I assume payroll will be no problem."

"Aren't there standard contracts that the industry uses?" Ted wanted to know.

Brian smiled. Ted was still on the ball. "Yes, there are."

"Are you going to bring some from Vangard?"

"I thought I might."

"Then I'm sure I can work with them."

"Good. I need someone to take charge of that area specifically."

"I'll start some research on contracts," Ted volunteered. "I could talk to Melanie and get some suggestions."

"Okay," Brian said. "Ted, I want to make this work."

"I do too. I won't let you down."

"You better not or I'll have to have you killed." Brian glared at the hapless Ted who shuddered involuntarily.

"I'm going to have to learn when you're kidding," Ted laughed nervously.

"I never kid," Brian said keeping his face impassive.

"He's full of you know what," Justin laughed as he carried in a tray containing the coffee, cups and some pastries. "And no, you don't have to eat any," Justin said pointedly looking at Brian.

"I'll just have coffee," Brian stated. "And stop undermining my authority with my employees."

"You are so full of shit," Justin reacted and Brian had to laugh. "Don't pay attention to more than half the crap he throws your way, Ted."

"I'll try," Ted said as he fixed his coffee.

"Is this any way to treat the boss?" Brian asked indignantly.

"It's the only way to treat him," Justin declared as he sat down. "Now let's fill Ted in on the property we're going to buy for the agency."

"Do tell!" Ted smiled. He was beginning to think this just might work. He was certainly glad that Justin seemed to be on his side.

They spent the better part of an hour discussing the new business and drinking another pot of coffee. Ted and Justin polished off the pastries.

As Ted drank the last of his coffee, he decided he better ask. "Um, I hate to mention this, but what will my … um … salary be?"

"Minimum wage," Brian answered immediately.

"Brian!" Justin chastised him.

"I think we can start you at what you made as an accountant with lots of room for bonuses and raises as the company gets on its feet," Brian explained.

"Fair enough," Ted replied. "I should get going." He stood up. "This was great. Thank you for inviting me to dinner, and thank you for the job. I … I can't tell you what it means to me." Ted felt himself choke up.

"For Christ's sake, don't get weepy on me or I'll take it all back," Brian snarked.

"Yes, Boss, sorry, Boss," Ted kowtowed.

"Go home and learn about contracts," Brian told him as they made their way to the door.

"My thoughts exactly," Ted said with a smile. "Let me know when you want me."

"We will," Justin said before he shut the door on Ted. "That went pretty well."

"Yeah, I guess."

"You're not having second thoughts, are you?"

"No, but I never realized how down and out Ted had got. I…"

"I know. He really needs this job. It sounds like it came at the right moment."

"He seems to have his shit together. And I think he will learn all he can about contracts."

"I know he will," Justin stated. "So, we have the final four."

"Not final, but we do have four. As long as it doesn't turn out to be the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse."

"Huh?"

"You know - Failure, Poverty, Discord and Death," Brian smirked.

"Don't even say that," Justin chuckled but he felt a slight chill. They couldn't fail. "And then there's the fifth Horseman," he added, "the ghost."

Brian merely stared at him.


Chapter 24 - Renovations by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Renovations

Brian stood in the doorway of the Baggley house. It was his. The previous owners had accepted a lowball offer and they ran to the bank with it. Brian smiled as he felt arms encircle his waist from behind.

"It's yours," Justin whispered in Brian's ear.

"No, it's not."

"What?"

"It's ours, Sunshine, all ours."

Justin's radiant smile greeted Brian as he turned around and enfolded his partner in an embrace. Brian leaned down and kissed the sweet lips that had come to mean everything to him.

"Are you ready to get started?" Justin asked when the kiss ended.

"I have Nate Shumsky and his crew lined up to start the renovations day after tomorrow. He's going to meet us here in about an hour to see what needs to be done."

"So why are we early?" Justin asked with a grin.

"I seem to remember something about fucking in the art department," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

"Really? You remember?" Justin pretended to look shocked.

Brian nodded. "Hey, no Old Timers here!" he laughed. Now's as good a time as any."

"Come on," Justin smiled putting his hand in Brian's and leading him to the stairs.

They went up to what had been the master suite in the old house. It was empty of all furniture but that wasn't going to stop them. Brian pushed Justin against the door jamb and hauled his jeans down.

"Is this what you wanted, Sunshine?" he asked as his hands cupped the glorious globes of Justin's ass. They squeezed and then he pushed them apart revealing Justin's twitching pucker.

"Yeah," Justin breathed, his voice already husky. "I want you inside me … NOW!"

"Yes, sir," Brian said derisively. He wasn't sure he liked being bossed around, but in these circumstances he could live with it.

He bit the back of Justin's neck eliciting a groan. His hands clasped around Justin's chest and pulled him back against his body. Justin turned his head and Brian's mouth found his in a smoldering kiss that left them both panting. Quickly Brian unbuttoned his jeans and slid them down over his ass. His hard cock sprang free. He reached in his pocket for the tube of lube and prepared them both. His cock stood at attention waiting to find the velvet warmth that it knew so well.

"God, Brian, what are you doing? I'm so ready," Justin gasped.

"When did you get to be so impatient?"

"Right around the time it took you forever to get started."

Brian frowned and then rammed his dick up Justin's ass without so much as a 'fare thee well'. Justin let out a cry and held onto the door jamb as the pain of the abrupt penetration rolled through him.

Brian waited, immediately regretting his rash action. "You okay?" he whispered in Justin's ear.

"Give me a minute," Justin hissed.

After a little longer Justin leaned back against Brian and pushed his ass against Brian's groin. Brian smiled knowing that everything was all right once again. He didn't know what had possessed him to ram himself into Justin like that. There was definitely something strange about this house and the effect it had on people. He wondered if they'd be able to do their renovations and open the agency … or would the ghost drive them away too? Justin seemed to think they'd be all right, but Brian wasn't so sure. But he didn't believe in ghosts, of course.

"Hey! Where'd you go?" Justin demanded as he moved his hips around to get Brian's attention.

"Um … nowhere, nowhere," Brian muttered as he started thrusting. As the pace increased and sweat began to bead his brow, Brian could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. He could swear someone was watching him. He even turned his head and looked behind him at the empty room.

"Brian?" Justin asked. He could feel Brian's lack of concentration on what they were doing. That was very unusual, because Brian was a great lover. He was usually so focused and solicitous in his own hard nosed way. He never left Justin feeling like they hadn't both achieved something great when they made love. But today was definitely different. Brian was distracted. And Justin could feel something too. Something not quite right.

"I'm here," Brian said shaking his head to try to clear the illusion of someone behind him. He began thrusting in earnest deciding that it was time to bring this interlude to its climax. "Ready, Sunshine?"

"Yeah," Justin said as he put aside his worries about the old house and concentrated on what they were doing. He felt Brian lean into him and drive hard, rougher than he normally was. But that was okay. Justin liked it rough sometimes too. "Fuck me," he breathed as he bit his bottom lip and held onto the door jamb with all his might.

Brian's hand snaked around Justin's body and started to pull on his dick. Justin let out a hitched breath followed by a little moan, as he knew he wouldn't last much longer. "Fuck!" he gasped and then he came all over the wood framing of the doorway.

Brian wasn't far behind. He gave a few more thrusts as Justin's ass clenched around him. With a mighty groan he shot his load up his partner's ass and then leaned exhausted against Justin's back.

As Brian's dick softened and slipped out of his partner, Brian felt compelled to look around once more. The room was still empty other than for them. But it didn't feel that way.

Justin groaned as Brian pulled away from him. He knew he was going to be sore. He hoped Nate didn't want to sit down with them and discuss all the possible renovations. He grabbed a tissue out of his jeans pocket and cleaned himself up a bit. He drew his jeans back over his ass and zipped up.

"We should have brought some towels to clean up," Justin said pointing to cum that clung to the door frame. He wiped some of it away with the tissue, but it didn't do a very good job.

"Let's go check in the kitchen," Brian suggested as he adjusted his clothes. "Maybe the last tenants left something we could use … before the ghost chased them away."

Justin looked at Brian. He wasn't sure whether Brian was being sarcastic or trying to be funny or was somewhat scared. Maybe all of the above.

They made their way down to the kitchen. There was a roll of paper towels in one of the cupboards. Someone hadn't bothered to pack it or had left in too big a hurry to worry about them.

"Come on," Justin said. "Let's go clean up our mess."

Brian hesitated. He wasn't sure he wanted to go back into that room. "You go. I'm going to look around down here."

"Come and help me," Justin wheedled.

"It's your mess."

"You helped me make it."

"It's what bottoms have to deal with," Brian said smugly.

"Asshole."

"That would be me," Brian said turning his back and ignoring Justin.

Justin stomped out of the kitchen and up the stairs. He cursed Brian under his breath. He couldn't believe Brian could be so insensitive sometimes. Other times he was so loving and gentle. He sure hadn't been gentle during that fuck. Justin reached around and rubbed his ass. He didn't think anything had torn, but it had not been pleasant during Brian's entry. He was going to talk to Brian about that as soon as he cleaned up their little mess. And it was theirs … not his.

Justin tore off a sheet of paper towel. He ran it up and down the door jamb collecting the hardening cum. It was sticky and wouldn't all come off. He walked over to the bathroom and ran some water over a new towel. As he walked back to the door, he felt something move the air in the room.

"Brian, are you up here?"

There was no answer. But Justin had definitely felt something move.

"Brian!" he called.

"What?"

"Um … you're still downstairs?"

"I thought I told you I wasn't coming up there, so logically I would still be down here."

"Logically, smogically," Justin muttered shaking his head and wiping off the rest of the cum. "Asshole," he repeated as he finished the job and wiped the wood with a new, dry towel.

He gathered up the used towels and the rest of the roll and headed downstairs. As he started down the steps he glanced at the wall that sealed off the attic. He would have to ask Nate about taking that down. He wanted to see what was up there. Some kind of movement caught his attention and he turned to look back into the master suite. The curtains on the window swung gently. Justin felt himself shiver.

He wondered if there was a broken pane of glass, but for some reason he couldn't make himself go back into the room to check it out. He wasn't afraid. It couldn't be the ghost. It had to be a broken or cracked pane of glass. Yeah, that was it. He'd get Nate to look at it later.

He quickly made his way down to the kitchen. Brian wasn't there. Justin threw the used paper towels in the trash can outside the back door. Someone had left that too. He placed the rest of the roll of towels on the counter and went to look for Brian.

He found him in the library looking out the window.

"What are you doing?"

Brian jumped. "I … do you think we might have made a mistake buying this place?"

Justin frowned and looked into Brian's eyes. "I thought it was a good idea at the time. Did something happen?" Justin asked remembering the moving curtain upstairs.

"I … this is going to sound nuts, but I could have sworn someone was watching us when I fucked you."

"Oh!"

"Oh? Just oh! Didn't you feel it too?"

"Um, no, I didn't, but when I was up there … cleaning up, I could have sworn something was moving around and the curtain was swaying."

"Did you see anything?"

Justin shook his head. He looked thoughtful for a minute. "Did the feeling of having someone watch us affect the way you fucked me?" Justin asked after a few seconds.

"Huh?"

"You don't usually get as rough as you did today."

"I hurt you, didn't I? I shouldn't have done that," Brian said shaking his head.

"I'm okay, but it was like you weren't there half the time and the other half was like you were someone else."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Brian asked testily.

"Don't get all defensive on me. You heard me ask you where you went. Something was going on."

"Yeah, I was fucking you," Brian declared. "If you can't handle it…"

"Don't pull that shit with me. You know it was different."

"I don't believe in ghosts," Brian stated.

"You thought it was the ghost that was watching us," Justin said triumphantly.

"I don't believe in ghosts," Brian repeated.

"Come on, Brian. You know something was happening up there."

Brian frowned. "I don't know what was going on, but … I didn't like it."

"Maybe we did make a mistake," Justin said hesitantly.

"Well, now's a fucking great time to tell me," Brian said rubbing his eyes. "I have every penny I own and many that I have yet to earn tied up in this fucking piece of property."

Justin walked over to Brian and put his arms around his waist. "We'll make it work, Brian, I know we will."

Brian shook his head, but he wrapped his arms around Justin and held on tight. There was so much riding on this. They couldn't afford to fail. They each let out a long breath and then Brian leaned down and gently kissed Justin. They held onto each other offering support and strength.

When they broke the kiss, Justin looked around. "I … I feel better now."

"Me too."

"Kiss me again, but gently."

Brian leaned down and kissed his lover. Justin's mouth opened and Brian probed with his tongue leaving them both breathless and semi-hard.

"I just might have to fuck you again," Brian smirked.

"You know I want you any time you say. In fact I want you all the time." They both smiled and looked into each other's eyes. "It feels different in here. Better. More calm and peaceful," Justin said.

Brian nodded and opened his mouth to say something.

"Am I interrupting something," a voice said.

They both jumped and whirled around releasing their hold on each other.

"Nate!" they both said at the same time.

"Sorry I'm a little late, but it doesn't look like you had trouble finding something to occupy yourselves until I got here," Nate laughed.

"Hey, Nate," Justin grinned.

"So, Shumsky, what do you think of the place?" Brian asked not wasting time on pleasantries.

"I love the look of the old place, but I need to look around more before I can really say."

Brian smiled. Maybe Nate could get things shipshape and then they wouldn't have to worry about the "ghost" anymore.

"Have you guys run into the ghost yet?" Nate asked with a laugh. Brian and Justin froze. "I see by the look on your faces that you've had something happen," Nate added without the laugh.

"How did you know about the ghost?" Justin asked.

"Any contractor in this area knows the stories about this house."

"Really? Then why are you taking the job. Everybody else cut and ran," Justin said.

Brian gave him a look. "Justin, I'm sure Nate doesn't believe in ghosts."

"Like you?" Justin demanded with a sideways glance at Brian.

Brian glowered at his partner. "Yeah, like me."

"I don't know if I believe in ghosts or not," Nate said. "But I love this old place. Look at the woodwork. I hope you're going to leave it pretty much as it is," he added hopefully.

Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek. "I was thinking of bleaching it white and then varnishing it, or we could paint it fuchsia."

Nate blanched. "Then I think you have the wrong guy for this job," Nate said his face dropping.

"He's kidding you, Nate," Justin said quickly.

Nate immediately brightened. "Then let's go tour the place and see what you want done."

They spent the next hour going through the rooms and discussing what needed to be worked on. They were pretty much on the same wavelength. They would keep the basic structure of the rooms for now, taking into consideration where future offices might be split off from existing rooms. Whether they would put a restroom on the first floor was a topic of much discussion, but Nate convinced them not to give up the valuable space on the first floor. He would expand the washroom off the master suite and give it a separate entrance for all the employees to use. The smaller bathroom off the other bedrooms would be kept, given a new key and could be mainly for Cynthia's use.

Ted would get the sewing room redone as his office. Cynthia would set up shop in the foyer for now. Nate would build her some cherry cabinets to house the files that would undoubtedly grow quickly under Brian's hand. They would match the existing woodwork as closely as possible. All wallpaper would disappear and Justin said he had a good idea of what color scheme he wanted the place to have. Brian wanted a new more modern door for the entrance and described the type of thing he thought he wanted. Nate said he would be on the lookout for one.

Justin got Nate to look at all the windows only to have the man tell him that they were in surprisingly good condition for their age. They all needed a coat of paint. That cancelled out Justin's theory of why the curtain had been moving. He glanced around the room that would become his art department before they left it. Everything looked fine. Nothing moved including the old curtains.

As they walked back to the stairs, Justin looked at the sealed off entrance to the attic. He had to ask.

"Nate, my mother says the entrance to the attic is behind that wall." Justin pointed to the wall that cut off the ascent of the stairs.

"I wondered if you wanted to do anything about that. It looks pretty ugly the way it is."

"Yeah," Justin agreed. "Would it cost much to open it up?"

"Not much to rip that out, but who knows what's behind it," Nate said thoughtfully.

"I'd like to see," Justin replied.

"What do you think, Brian?" Nate asked.

Brian had remained silent. He wasn't at all sure about opening the entrance to the attic. Who knew what had been hidden up there all this time. Maybe it was best left undisturbed.

"Brian?" Justin asked.

"Um…," Brian said. "I need to think about that."

"What? You said before that it would give us more space."

"Space that we don't need right now."

"But, it's ugly," Justin said gesturing at the offending wall.

"Work out how much it's going to cost with the wall left up," Brian said making a decision. He looked at Justin who shook his head and looked away. Brian sighed. "And make a second one including the cost of taking down the wall and doing something about what this stairwell will look like if we do."

Justin smiled at his partner.

"What about the attic?" Nate asked.

"We're not touching it yet. We have to get the main part of this building ready for business," Brian replied. "How long do you think it will take?"

"I can start day after tomorrow if you decide to go ahead … and if you like my price," Nate smiled. "The work is mostly cosmetic, painting, removing wallpaper, sanding and refinishing with some simple wall construction. Could be done in two weeks."

"Wow!" Justin reacted. "Only two weeks?"

Nate nodded. "I'm not known as the best gay contractor in Pittsburgh for nothing," he laughed.

"I better start rounding up some clients," Brian said.

"And I better get my paint chips organized," Justin contributed.

"Sounds like it's a done deal," Nate said.

"As long as your price isn't astronomical, it is," Brian told Nate. "I can't think of anyone I'd rather have working on this place that you and your little band of fairies." Brian smirked at Nate and Justin.

"Be careful, Kinney. I actually have a straight guy working for me now."

"How did that happen, Shumsky?"

"Not that many fairies seem to want to go into the trades."

They all laughed and then Nate made his way out the front door. Justin hung back.

"Are you coming, Sunshine?" Brian asked as he returned from walking Nate out. "We're done here."

"Are we?"

"What now?" Brian asked with an exasperated sigh.

"Brian, we need to find out what happened in this house all those years ago. I don't think we'll ever have peace here until we know, until the world knows."

"For Christ sakes! When did you become the great expert on ghosts and goblins and things that go bump in the fucking night?"

"I'm not, but I … I know we have to find out. I feel it."

"Fuck!" Brian griped. How did he reason with feelings? "What the fuck are we supposed to do to make that happen?"

"That wall has to come down. That will be a start," Justin declared.

"And if I say no?"

"I'll find the money to have it done myself."

"What?"

"You heard me. Mom will lend it to me if I ask."

"Goddam it, Justin! What the fuck's the matter with you?"

"Nothing's the matter with me, Brian. I just really feel that if we want to be at peace in this house and make the business a success, we need to find out what happened to Algernon Blackwell."

"Who the fuck is Algernon Blackwell?"

"He was the Baggley's butler, the man who was murdered."

"Shit!" Brian reacted as he took Justin's hand and led him towards the door. All he wanted to do was get his fucking business going. Who knew it would involve solving a century old murder?

Chapter 25 - Disruptions by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Disruptions

Brian climbed out of the Corvette and looked up at the front of the old Baggley house. He could already see the improvements. The balustrade along the front had been repaired and looked good as new … in an old fashioned way in keeping with the rest of the house. The awning over the front windows had been replaced and looked very festive, even though it hadn't been Brian's first choice as far as color and pattern went. He supposed Justin knew best in that department. It looked like the windows had been painted already and the façade had been power washed.

Brian smiled. He had been right in choosing Nate Shumsky to do the repairs and renovations. They had been working at the old mansion for three days and he hadn't had any reports of ghost sightings or frightened workmen. Maybe all his worries had been for nothing.

Brian walked inside and saw the stacks of drywall and planks of wood. Obviously things were moving along. He walked into what would be his office. The old wood floor was covered with a tarp and in the middle of it sat a power saw. He walked over to it but didn't touch anything. Power tools weren't his forte, except for the one in his pants, he thought with a little smirk.

"Brian," Nate said from behind him. "Come to check out if we're wasting your money?"

"I know you wouldn't dare do that," Brian smirked. "Just wanted to see how things were going."

"You mean you wanted to know if there were any ghost sightings, or if any of my men had run screaming into the night."

"Something like that," Brian admitted.

"We've had a couple of incidents that have made the guys a little wary," Nate admitted.

"Oh?" Brian said, a feeling of dread creeping up his spine. "Like what?"

"Nate! Nate!" a voice called from upstairs. It sounded slightly hysterical.

"What?" Nate called rushing from the office and up the steps. Brian followed close behind.

On the stairs near the top lay one of Nate's men. He was sprawled on his back a crowbar in his hand.

"What the fuck happened?" Nate yelled as two other men appeared from the upstairs rooms.

"Something knocked me off the ladder," the man lying on the stairs said. Brian could see the ladder tipped to the side and leaning at a weird angle.

"Why didn't you have the ladder tied off?" Nate demanded. "But more importantly, are you hurt?"

The man shook his head. "Wind knocked out of me. Didn't fall far. I was only a couple of steps up the ladder when … something knocked it sideways."

"Knocked it sideways?" Nate said with a frown. "What do you mean, Don?"

"It was kind of like a force sent the ladder to the side," Don said as he sat up. "I think I can stand. I'm all right."

"Are you sure?" Nate asked as he helped the man to stand up.

"Nothing broken. I may have a bruise or two," Don said rubbing his back.

"Hear that, you bunch. No one gets up a ladder without it being tied off. Now get back to work and use your common sense about safety." The men scattered, going back to their jobs that they had been called from when they heard Don's shout. "You should go to the hospital and get checked out," Nate said seriously.

"I'm fine. I told you nothing's broke. I can do my job."

Nate shrugged. "I offered," he said to Brian. "No more ladders today, Don. Go downstairs and help Chuck in the kitchen."

"Okay, Boss," Don said as he started down the stairs. He took a couple of steps and then stopped to look up at the wall that blocked off the attic. That had been what he was going to take the crowbar to when the ladder had been forced out from under him. He shook his head and went down the rest of the steps.

"Is this the kind of thing that's been happening?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, mostly minor accidents, but all things that should never have happened. Don knows better than to climb a ladder without tying it off, and yet … he did it anyway," Nate explained.

"Out of character," Brian said thoughtfully.

Nate studied him for a split second before saying, "Kind of, but with a sinister undertone. Something bad always results. We've had more cut fingers and twisted ankles this couple of days than we normally have in a month."

"The ghost?" Brian asked in an almost whisper.

Nate shook his head. "I don't like to think so, but the guys are getting spooked."

"You going to run out on me?" Brian asked holding his breath till he heard the answer.

"Not yet," Nate said and there was no humor in his answer. "I won't stay here if my men are in real danger. If I feel that's the case, we're out of here."

"Fair enough," Brian said. He couldn't argue about the safety of the workmen. He also had no idea what he would do if Nate quit on him.

"Are you going to open up the attic?" Justin had had his way about that.

"That's what Don was starting to do when the ladder came out from under him," Nate explained. "I don't think we'll touch it today."

"How about if I bring Justin with me tomorrow and we all work at opening the stairway. Maybe there'll be safety in numbers?" Brian wasn't kidding.

"That sounds like a good idea. Maybe we can make sure that nobody has an accident if we're all around at the same time the wall comes down."

"Okay, let's plan for that tomorrow morning," Brian said. "I'll be here bright and early. Now can I talk to you about my office?"

Nate smiled. "I'd like that."

They walked downstairs together, but neither of them could avoid a quick look at the infamous wall that hid the attic and its secrets from them. Tomorrow the Walls of Jericho would come tumbling down.

*****

"Justin, I told Nate that we would be there when they open the attic tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Justin asked. "Are they prepared?"

"Prepared for what?"

"I … I don't know. Just prepared."

"Did you find out something more about the house, about the murder … about Algernon Blackwell?"

Justin shook his head. "I've read every piece of information about the murder and the Baggley family that I could find. A couple of days after the murder was discovered all reference to it seems to have disappeared from the papers. It's almost like it didn't happen."

"So, we know it was never solved."

"Yeah, but usually a murder gets a couple of weeks of coverage before the story gets old … especially when it involves a prominent family like the Baggleys," Justin explained. "The newspaper coverage on this lasted barely two days."

"Cover up," Brian said flatly.

Justin nodded. "It sure seems like that's what it is. The case is still technically open, but nothing more was ever mentioned about it that I could find. It was like everyone just wanted it to go away."

"So Algernon Blackwell never got justice," Brian said thoughtfully.

Justin smiled. "He's my prime candidate for being the ghost. He wants the justice that was denied him, and he won't rest until he gets it."

Brian shook his head. "Nate says some strange things have been happening during renovations."

"I'm not surprised. We both felt there was something strange in that house."

"Nate's going to quit if any of his men get hurt."

"Oh!" Justin reacted. "Is it that bad?"

"One of his men fell off a ladder while I was there this afternoon. The guy said the ladder had been pushed to the side."

"And there was no one else around him," Justin stated.

"Not a soul. He had a crowbar in his hand ready to start ripping out that wall."

"I guess the ghost doesn't want us disturbing the scene of his murder."

Brian glared at Justin. "Will you give that fucking ghost crap a rest!"

"You know, you are exasperating. One minute you're talking about the ghost and the next you're denying its existence."

Brian looked thoughtful. "I don't want to believe there's a ghost, but obviously something is going on in that house."

"I'm glad you admit that. Maybe if we can get into the attic tomorrow, we can find out some more information."

"Information," Brian said shaking his head. "Don't you think the police would have searched thoroughly when this all happened?"

"Not if they thought it was an intruder who murdered him," Justin said with a look of wonder on his face, like this had just dawned on him.

"Isn't that what the papers said had happened?"

"Yeah, but then you mentioned cover-up and I'm wondering if that was maybe just a story that the family cooked up. Maybe something much more sinister happened."

"Like what?" Brian asked.

"I don't know, but maybe we can find some papers or something that will tell us," Justin said hopefully.

"You are such a … weirdo," Brian said as he pulled Justin against him and kissed the top of his head.

Justin laughed. "You love me anyway."

"I think I love you because you are a weirdo."

"Hey," Justin said pulling back and swatting Brian's chest. "Just you wait and see what we find out."

"I'm not sure I want to know."

*****

The following morning Brian and Justin arrived at the Baggley house just after nine. Nate and his crew should already be at work. They walked into the foyer to find Nate talking to his workers. The men were seated on the stairs all looking glum.

"Is something wrong?" Brian asked.

"We had another … accident," Nate said choosing his words carefully.

"It wasn't an accident," one of the men said. "That light fixture was secure, but it came right down on Don's head for no reason."

"Isn't Don the guy who fell off the ladder yesterday?" Brian asked.

"Was pushed," one of the men muttered.

"Where is Don?" Brian asked looking around.

"I sent him home. He had a cut on his forehead," Nate said. "The men want to quit this job."

"I see," Brian said sadly. He had known this was coming as soon as he saw them all sitting on the stairs and not working.

"I refuse to force them to continue working here if they fear for their safety," Nate said.

"I wouldn't expect you to," Brian admitted.

"Guys," Justin said stepping forward. "If we open up the attic right now, maybe I can get to the bottom of what happened up there and then we won't have to be worried about the ghost anymore."

"How can you know that?" the first man who had spoken demanded.

"I don't know for sure," Justin admitted. "I said maybe. I've been researching the murder here and I think I have some idea of why the case was never solved."

"So you're going to solve it after all these years?" the man asked skeptically.

"Not bloody likely," one of the other men muttered.

"I'm going to try," Justin stated. "And if you guys don't want to help open up the attic, then I'll do it myself." Justin grabbed a hammer that was sitting on one of the steps and started to pick his way through the men and up the stairs.

"You won't get far with that thing," the man who had just muttered said.

"He'll get a lot farther if I help him," the first guy said as he stood up. He followed Justin up the stairs.

"Shall we make this unanimous and get the job done right away?" Nate asked.

One man shook his head, but then stood and followed the only remaining worker who had also got up and started to climb the stairs behind the others.

"Let's go," Nate said quickly. "Before they change their minds."

Brian followed Nate up the stairs.

A little while later they had the wall down and the stairs cleared of the debris.

"That wasn't so bad," Nate said with a sigh of relief.  No one had been harmed during the tearing down of the wall.  "I think you should go up first," Nate said to Justin.

Justin nodded. "Come with me, Brian."

Justin held out his hand and Brian slid his into it. They climbed the stairs into the attic, neither knowing what they would find there.

At the top of the stairs they looked around. The large room was mostly empty. It must have been cleaned out some time after the murder. There was a chair over by a window and a chest of drawers against one wall. That was all that was immediately visible.

Brian and Justin walked out into the middle of the room.

"Look over there," Justin said pointing to a doorway. "There's more stairs through there."

"Of course," Brian said. "Those would be the servants' stairs."

"But there's no sign of them downstairs," Justin replied.

"They probably go off the kitchen somehow. Nate, come up here and have a look at this."

Nate came up into the attic. He looked around warily. Not seeing anything untoward he walked over to where Brian and Justin were looking down the narrow stairs. "Service stairs," he said.

"Where do you think they come out?" Brian asked.

"Probably the kitchen," Nate said looking down the narrow stairway. "Bob, go down to the kitchen. I'll go down these stairs and we'll take out the wall that's hiding where they end. The extra stairs could be very useful once your business gets going."

"So I can hide from irate customers?" Brian chuckled.

"I was thinking more like quick changes sent to the art department," Nate said with a smile and a wink at Justin.

"I don't think there'll be any last minute changes," Justin said with a smirk. "My work is always impeccable."

"Twat," Brian laughed as he pulled Justin into a hug. Nate headed down the stairs.

While Nate and Bob were hammering away at the wall at the bottom of the stairs, Justin went to the chest of drawers and started pulling the drawers open. They were all empty.

"Expected to find something in there, didn't you?" Brian asked as he watched Justin.

"Yeah, I was hoping." Justin closed the drawer he had been looking in and pulled the bottom one open. It came a little ways and then stuck, refusing to open all the way. He gave it a yank and it still wouldn't budge. "Brian, help me."

"What for?" Brian asked. "It's empty too, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but it feels like something is blocking the track."

"Okay," Brian sighed.

He walked over and they each took a handle and gave a concerted pull. The drawer came flying out and they almost fell on their asses. Justin looked in the drawer which was empty. He turned it over and found nothing on the bottom that would have caused the drawer to stick.

"Maybe this is what you're looking for," Brian said reaching into the empty space where the drawer had been and retrieving a small book about the size of a journal or diary.

"Oh fuck!" Justin said as he grabbed the book from Brian. "It has Algernon's name on the first page." Justin began flipping through the book. "I think this is his diary. Maybe it will tell us something about what was going on before he was killed."

"One can always hope," Brian smirked wondering how Justin could be so excited about something that was from the distant past. The story of Algernon Blackwell had obviously captured his imagination.

"I'm going to take this home with me and read it right through."

"You do that, Sunshine."

"Oh shit!" echoed up the stairs.

"What's wrong Nate?" Brian called.

Just then they heard the sound of something giving way and falling.

"Nate!" they both shouted as they started down the narrow stairs. There was a cloud of dust and debris as they made their way down. It was hard to see. The closer they got to the bottom, they could make out pieces of lumber and plaster and other building materials blocking the stairs.

"Hey, it's Bob.," a voice called from below.  "Nate's under this debris. We have to clear it away."

"We'll work from up here," Brian said as he and Justin began lifting boards and placing them further up the stairs.

It didn't take long until they had found Nate. He wasn't moving. Brian was closest to his head and he knelt down and gently slapped Nate's cheeks hoping to rouse the man.

"Nate, Nate, are you all right?" Brian asked, the feeling of panic starting to overwhelm him.

"Um, yeah," Nate mumbled as his eyes opened and he looked around.

"Thank God," Brian breathed in relief. "Call 911, Justin."

Justin took out his phone and hit the numbers. He began by giving the address of the house and then briefly explained the nature of the emergency.

"I'm all right," Nate protested trying to get up.

"Stay put," Justin ordered. "They said not to move you."

"But … I'm okay," Nate said again.

"Stay put, you stubborn bastard. We're going to get you checked out by the paramedics," Brian said.

"Okay," Nate gave in closing his eyes.

They all heard the distant sound of sirens heading in their direction.

Chapter 26 - Revelations by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Revelations

Brian and Justin watched the ambulance pull away. It looked like Nate was okay, but they were taking him to the hospital to get fully checked out. He had a few gashes and some bruising, but it didn't look like he had broken anything.

"What should we do about Nate's crew?" Justin asked looking at the men who stood around the front door of the Baggley house.

"I'm going to tell them to take the rest of the day off," Brian replied looking at the men.

"They may not come back."

"I'm painfully aware of that fact. It will all depend on Nate and what happens with him." Brian strode up to the house and explained what the paramedics had said about their boss. He told them that he thought they should head home for the rest of the day.

The men mumbled and grumbled as they gathered up their gear. Brian knew that they were muttering about whether they would ever return. He watched them file out, get into their vehicles and disappear down the driveway. He went into the house to check the locks on the doors before leaving.

"Ready?" Brian asked as he came out the front door locking it behind him.

Justin was sitting on the balustrade reading Algernon's diary. "Yeah," he said not taking his eyes from the page.

"Then shut that thing and let's go."

Reluctantly Justin closed the little book and they walked to the Corvette. They got inside and Brian started the engine. As they pulled into traffic, Justin stared back at the house.

"I wonder what really happened in that attic," Justin said.

"Didn't you find out from the diary?" Brian asked sarcastically.

"I don't think it's possible for Algernon to write about his own death."

"Hm," Brian replied. "Here, I thought you'd have all the answers by now."

"Don't be mean," Justin replied.

"Want to pick up something for lunch and then you can spend all afternoon reading that thing?"

"Sounds good to me."

Brian made a face but said no more. They stopped for Caesar salads with chicken at their favorite Italian restaurant. When they arrived home, Justin headed for the kitchen and plunked himself down at the kitchen table leafing through the pages of the diary and skimming the words.

"Have you found anything interesting?" Brian asked as he emptied the salads onto plates and set one down in front of Justin.

"Yeah, kind of," Justin said as he stuffed some salad into his mouth with his fork in one hand and the diary still in the other.

"What?" Brian asked as he sat down across from him.

"The diary starts soon after Algernon began working for the Baggley's. I think he's gay."

"What? What makes you think that? Does he say he is?" Brian asked.

"Not exactly, but he talks about his time off, how he went to a dance at some church and felt very uncomfortable when a girl stuck to him like glue all night."

"He may just have been bashful … not gay."

"Maybe," Justin said, "but I think he's gay."

"And that's why you found his diary and seem to have an affinity for him," Brian said sarcastically.

"Well, it could be," Justin shot back. Sometimes he didn't appreciate Brian's skepticism one little bit.

Brian snorted and turned his attention to his salad. Justin continued to read picking at his salad when he stopped to turn a page.

"Brian, listen to this," Justin said after a few minutes.

"What?"

Justin read: Tonight I met a young man named Leon. He is very handsome, at least to me. I hope we can be friends, maybe even more than friends. "See, I told you he was gay."

"That hardly proves he was gay, and what difference does it make whether he's gay or not?" Brian demanded. He stood up and took their mostly empty plates to the sink.

Justin shook his head. He knew he was right about Algernon. He was gay, and maybe that had something to do with why he was murdered. He continued to read.

"Oh my God!" Justin stopped reading and looked up.

"What?" Brian asked.

"He was gay. Listen to this."

"If I must," Brian said in his best drama queen voice.

Justin read: Tonight I met Leon at a local pub. We drank some beer and he was a little tipsy when we finally left the establishment. He asked me to come back to his place because he had some beer there. I should have gone back to the Baggley house, but I just couldn't turn away from Leon. My heart and my body ached to be near him.

Brian made a face. "Love at first sight. I don't believe in that shit."

"Brian," Justin said in a hurt voice. "Didn't you know I was the one when you first saw me on Liberty Avenue?"

"I knew you were a prime piece of young ass and I wanted you all to myself."

"Thanks," Justin said shaking his head and trying not to let Brian's words hurt too much.

"Well, you asked. I never believed in love back then, at first sight or at first fuck … or at all. You know that."

"Yeah, I know," Justin conceded. He hated when Brian was so extremely unromantic. It wouldn't hurt him once in a while to say something romantic even if it wasn't true.

"So, did they do the deed?" Brian asked with his tongue stuck in his cheek.

"You are so crass … and I haven't got that far yet." Justin admitted.

"Let me know when they get it on."

"Asshole," Justin laughed. He went back to his reading.

I guess I got a little drunk because I practically jumped on top of Leon. I kissed him and it felt so good. I know it's wrong, but it still felt right. He kissed me back much to my surprise. We spent a lot of time rubbing together and kissing and stroking each other through our trousers. Leon made me lose my control and I had a big wet area on my trousers.

I felt so embarrassed going back to the Baggley house like that but I didn't have any choice. I was able to go in the back way and no one saw me. I hurried up to my room and changed into my bedclothes. I washed the trousers as best I could and hung them out the window so they would be dry in the morning. I only have one pair so I had to make sure they were presentable or it could cost me my job.

I slept so deeply the rest of the night, dreaming about Leon and what we had done. It made me feel so good. I wonder what will happen next with him.

"Poor bugger," Brian reacted as he listened to Justin read the passage aloud.

"Why do you say that?" Justin asked.

"He spent the night rubbing against some guy and creaming his pants, and he thinks he had a great time."

"He was exploring his sexuality," Justin said defending Algernon's feelings. "I can understand how he felt."

"I bet you can. You were such a scared little virgin that first night. I bet good old Algernon was just the same."

"It does kind of sound like he's a virgin," Justin admitted. "But there's nothing wrong with being one. We all were at one time."

Brian snorted. "Not at twenty-five or whatever the fuck age Algernon was," Brian declared.

"It was a different time … and he was only twenty-three."

"Only twenty-three," Brian scoffed. "That makes it so much better."

"Oh, listen to this," Justin said as he had gone back to reading the diary. "It takes place the next morning."

Mr. Baggley says he saw me come in last night. He wanted to know what I had been doing out so late. I got really flustered and couldn't think of a good explanation. I was praying that he didn't get a look at my trousers. He backed me up against the wall and wanted to know why I had been sneaking in. I was so embarrassed and he got so close to me. I could smell his cologne and his hips were against mine. I started to get hard and I think he did too. Then he cursed and walked away. I don't know what that means. I hope I don't get fired.

"So old man Baggley had something going on too," Brian chuckled.

"He wasn't old and you don't know that."

"What did it sound like to you?" Brian wanted to know.

"I … I don't know. Why don't you just let me read and maybe I'll find out," Justin griped.

"Certainly," Brian replied as he walked out of the kitchen. "Have fun with the virgins."

"Asshole."

Justin read through the next fifty or so pages. He learned about the life of the butler and how very limited his time for himself was. Algernon had few opportunities to meet with Leon. When they did there was always necking and rubbing but they never got any farther than that. Mr. Baggley seemed to enjoy tormenting Algernon and making him feel less than he already was. The owner of the house developed a pattern of trapping his butler in the kitchen and rubbing up against him. He would appear there in the evenings after the cook had gone home. They would both get hard, but then Mr. Baggley would stomp away cursing. It seemed to be a love/hate relationship, or rather a desire/denial relationship. It looked like Brian was right that there was something going on between the two men, master and servant. But neither of them knew quite what to do about it.

Algernon had been in the employ of Mr. Baggley for almost a year when Justin came to the most significant entry that he had yet read.

"Brian, come listen to this," Justin called.

"What now?" Brian asked sticking his head into the kitchen. "I'm reading something a little more enlightening in here."

"And what might that be?"

"The Wind in the Willows."

"What?"

"I thought Gus might like me to read it to him when he comes over next weekend."

Justin laughed gently. "You are such an enigma, Brian Kinney."

"Back atcha," Brian chuckled. "So what did you find this time?"

"Listen," Justin replied suddenly becoming very serious.

Mrs. Baggley has gone to visit her mother. She took the little girl, Clarissa, with her. They will be gone for a couple of weeks. Not long after they left, Mr. Baggley wandered into the kitchen. He said he wanted some afternoon tea and the cook started preparing it. I had to carry it into the library and serve the master. Once I had poured him a cup and set everything out I started to leave the room. Mr. Baggley called me back.

That's when it happened. He reached out as I stood by his desk and he brought his hand down the length of my cheek. He told me that I was a very handsome man and then he asked me if I was still coming in late every night.

I didn't know what to say to him, so I mumbled something about not having much time to socialize. I told him that I spent a lot of time in my room in the attic. He looked at me funny and asked what time the cook went home. I said that she left by eight p.m. on most days. He told me that I could take an early evening. I wasn't sure what he was getting at. I think he wanted to know if I would be going out. I told him I'd retire early if that was all right with him. He said it was. He thought he'd have an early night himself.

There was something strange about the whole conversation. He's never talked to me like that before. I don't know what it means.

"What does it mean?" Brian asked with a frown. "It sounds like a whole lot of nothing."

"It's what follows that is so important," Justin said looking very serious.

"So, read on, MacDuff."

"This is sometime later that day or early the next morning."

I haven't slept at all. I don't know what to do or feel. I'm so excited and so worried and so happy.

Mr. Baggley came up to my room after I had retired. He knocked on the door and when I answered it in my nightshirt, he was standing there. I think he had been drinking as he smelled of alcohol.

I asked him what he wanted and he didn't reply. He just pushed past me and entered my room. He looked around like he was sizing things up. Then he looked at me and it was like he was looking deep inside me. I didn't know what to do, but I felt myself grow hard. I placed my hands in front of my nightshirt so he wouldn't see how it started to stick out. But he knew.

He stepped very close to me and then he grabbed me not in a gentle way. He kissed me like I have never been kissed before. My knees felt weak and I thought I might pass out, but he just kept on kissing and I kissed him back. It was so much better than what I had done with Leon. My member was so hard it ached, and I could feel his body against mine and then his hand closed around me and I thought I would faint from the sheer sensation of it. I know I moaned. He whispered for me to be quiet, that he wanted me, that it would be all right.

The next thing I knew I was on the bed and he was behind me and then… I don't know if I can put this down in words. He drove into me and I cried out, but the house was empty except for us and no one could hear. It hurt so much at first that I was afraid I would never recover. But after a bit, as he continued to press into me, I started to feel things that I have never felt before. Things I could never even have dreamt of. He whispered words to me the whole time. He said things about how handsome I was and how he had wanted to do this for so long. He wanted to know if I felt the same desire for him. I didn't know what to say as I had no idea that this could happen between two men.

And then it was over. I felt him leave me and I wanted to weep. He told me to clean up and that I could sleep late today. Then he was gone.

I was so sore. I tried to wash down there but it was very tender. I've been lying here wondering what to do. I think I'm all right. The pain has eased and there is no blood. I realized that I had spilled my seed all over my sheet. I stripped the bottom one off and rinsed out the spot. I hung it on a chair to dry. I'm lying on my other sheet and I'm covered by a quilt.

My body feels so strange. The pain was great, but there was so much more to what happened. I don't know what the morrow will bring. I'm afraid to think what the master will do. He could fire me or he could come back to my room tomorrow night. I hope it's the latter.

"What do you think about that?" Justin asked.

"I think poor old Algernon was raped."

"Raped? Yeah, I guess you could call it that, but Algernon doesn't seem too upset about it."

"Have you read any farther?"

"No, there's not too many more pages, maybe thirty or so."

"I wonder if this rape or sexual encounter, whatever the fuck it was, had something to do with Algernon's murder," Brian said speculatively.

"It was supposed to be an intruder."

"But this intruder seemed not to have stolen anything or done any damage. He just killed the butler."

"Are you saying Baggley murdered him?" Justin asked, his mouth falling open as that possibility dawned on him.

"I don't know, but stranger things have happened. If Algernon threatened to reveal what happened between them, that could ruin Baggley's reputation, to say nothing of what it might do to his family."

"Wow! That makes a lot of sense. But how would we ever be able to prove that Baggley did it?"

"Unless old Algernon wrote it in his diary, I doubt that there would be any way to prove it."

"So we're really no better off than we were before we found the diary?" Justin said shaking his head. "I thought I had really found something."

"You did. We know a lot more about Algernon and his life than we did before you started looking into his murder."

"Yeah, but it doesn't help solve the mystery," Justin said dejectedly.

"Maybe it's enough that someone knows."

Justin perked up at that thought. "Maybe that's all the ghost wants, someone to know the truth."

Brian shook his head. "You really think the ghost is Algernon, don't you?"

"Well, don't you?" Justin challenged.

"I don't believe in ghosts," Brian averred, but his smirk indicated otherwise.

"You are so full of shit."

"Maybe I am, but all this talk of rape has made me horny," Brian laughed. He took the diary and set it down on the table. He pulled Justin up into a passionate kiss. "Think you can leave Algernon and his master long enough to fulfill a little rape fantasy?"

"If I get to rape you," Justin said keeping his face serious.

Brian's eyebrows shot up, then they lowered as he thought about what Justin had said. "That might be hot," he said as a smile lifted the corners of his mouth.

"Want to test it out?"

"Come on," Brian stated as he grabbed Justin's wrist and they headed for the bedroom.

Chapter 27 - On Being Young and Gay by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

On Being Young and Gay

Brian tried to turn over but he found he couldn't. He opened his eyes to find Justin staring at him, leaning on his chest staring into his eyes.

"Did I fall asleep?" he asked.

"Yeah, I had a little nap too."

"You look very self-satisfied."

"I am," Justin grinned.

Brian tried to reach for Justin and found his hands tied to the top of their four-poster. "What the fuck?"

"Don't you remember," Justin giggled. "You let me tie you up before I 'raped' you." He made the little air quotes around the "R" word.

"Yes," Brian said with clenched teeth and a devastating glare. "That was then. Now, release me."

"I don't think I'm ready to yet," Justin smiled serenely.

"You little twat! Let me loose!"

"Un unh."

"Justin!" Brian said ominously.

"Not till you tell me how much you enjoyed me fucking you."

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"I want a compliment," Justin said smiling some more.

"You know I always like your fucks," Brian said softly deciding he'd get this nonsense over with in a hurry. Once he was loose he'd make Justin pay.

"Good," Justin replied playing with one of Brian's nipples. "But I'd like a more resounding endorsement."

"What you're going to get is a very hard spanking!" Brian declared.

"Really? That sounds like fun," Justin giggled.

"Let me loose and the fun can begin."

"Um … I don't think so." Justin gave the nipple a none too gentle tweak.

"Ow!"

"That didn't hurt."

"How the fuck would you know? It wasn't your nipple!"

"Don't be mean."

"Then let me go!"

Justin tried to look contrite. He was just having a bit of fun with his partner. He had so enjoyed being the one in control with the pretend rape. It wasn't often that Brian bottomed, and then letting Justin tie him up had been a real turn on. The fact that Brian had given up total control was pretty amazing. Justin had never managed to top in quite the way that he had just a short while ago. He should be nice to Brian or he might never get that opportunity again.

"If I release you, do you promise not to turn on me?" Justin asked all seriousness.

"Turn on you? What am I? A rabid dog!"

"You might be."

"If you don't get these fucking things off my wrists, you'll find out the hard way," Brian threatened as he struggled against his bonds.

"Then I guess I'll just have to leave you the way you are until you calm down. I'm hungry, so I'll go make some dinner. Anything in particular that you'd like?"

"I'd like you to fucking untie me! Right now, you little asshole."

"Uh, uh, uh, being nasty won't get you anywhere."

"Justin, this has gone on long enough. You've had your fun, now release me!"

Justin shook his head, pulled on a pair of sweat pants and headed for the door.

"Don't you dare walk out that door!" Brian bellowed.

"And what are you going to do if I don't listen to you?" Justin smiled sweetly.

Brian yanked at his bonds which consisted of two old ties that had seen better days. They had seemed like a good idea earlier, but now Brian was finding out just how strong silk could be. He grunted and groaned and tugged at the seemingly fragile strips of cloth that held him so securely.

"You're very beautiful when you get all flushed like that. Much like you looked when I was fucking you." Justin continued to observe Brian's struggles. He was beginning to think that he had pushed this just a little too far and maybe he was going to regret his actions when Brian did get loose.

"Fuck!" Brian cried as he flopped back in frustration still tied securely to the top posts of the bed.

"Um, if I give you a really good blowjob and then release you, will you promise not to kill me?"

Brian glared at him. "I don't want your fucking blowjob, and I am going to kill you!"

"That's not much of an incentive for me to release you," Justin said reasonably.

Brian bit his lip and refused to respond.

"Brian, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for this to go so far. I was just having some fun with you."

Brian glared at him and said nothing.

"Will you forgive me?" Justin asked as he approached the bed. "I'll untie you."

Brian remained silent, but he watched as Justin started to pull at the knots that held him prisoner.

"Fuck! You've pulled so hard on these that I'll never be able to get them undone. The knots are too tight now."

"Cut the goddamn things off!" Brian commanded, having lost all patience and seeing the possibility of freedom so very close.

"Um … do you know where the scissors are?" Justin asked meekly. He was really getting scared.

"No, I don't fucking know where the scissors are! Get out your sewing basket, little Miss Susie Homemaker."

"Don't be so nasty. I'll go downstairs and get the ones from the kitchen."

"Go in the fucking bathroom and get the straight razor!"

"Oh, yeah, okay," Justin said as he crossed the room.

"And hurry the fuck up."

"I'm hurrying." Justin returned with the straight razor and started carving away at the silk tie that held Brian's right hand. It took quite a bit of sawing with the very sharp razor to cut through the tie.

"Ahhh," Brian sighed as his hand finally came free. "Now get the other damn thing off."

"Um … I think I'll let you do that yourself," Justin said warily. He reached out as far as he could and held the razor towards Brian.

"What the fuck's the matter with you?"

"I … You wouldn't … Would you?"

"Kill you? Yes, I fucking will!" Brian tried to hook his free legs around Justin and hold him close. Justin dodged and held out the razor from a safe distance. Brian grabbed it and started to work on the tie that held his left wrist prisoner.

He heard Justin run across the room and head downstairs. Fucking little twat! He was so going to pay.

Finally Brian was able to hack the tie off his left wrist. He rubbed his wrist and tossed the razor onto the nightstand. "Justin!" he bellowed. "You can run but you can't hide." Naked, Brian made his way into each of the bedrooms searching for his partner who was about to receive a hearty dose of retribution.

Brian searched the whole house. There was no sign of Justin anywhere. With a frown, Brian opened the front door to peek out and make sure that both vehicles were still there. They were, so Justin had to be somewhere close at hand.

"Justin, where the fuck are you?" Brian called as he walked into the family room. He looked behind all the furniture. No sign of Justin. "Have you gone back into the closet?" Brian asked as he yanked open the door to the front hall closet. That was when he heard a giggle from the kitchen. "Aha! Come out, come out, wherever you are," Brian called as he walked into the kitchen. He scanned the room seeing no sign of his partner. He looked in the broom closet which would have been a tight fit. There was no sign of Justin. Brian scanned the patio through the closed door. He was sure he had heard that giggle come from the kitchen.

"I know you're in here, Justin. I'll find you eventually. You might as well give up."

All was silence. Brian stood stock still wondering if he might be able to hear Justin breathe. There was no sound. He started to walk around the end of the counter deciding he might as well get some water since he was close to the fridge. That was when Justin bolted out from behind the counter and made a run for the family room. Brian was right behind him and his longer legs helped him gain on the blond. As they neared the couch, Brian launched himself at Justin's back and they both fell breathless onto the leather sofa. Justin was trapped and flattened beneath Brian. He heard Justin give a little groan.

"Are you all right? Did I hurt you?" Brian asked, all of his anger receding with the thought that he might have injured his partner.

"I'm okay, but you knocked the wind out of me. You're fucking heavy."

"You're sure you're okay?" Brian asked solicitously.

"Yeah," Justin said hoping the thought of him being all right might let him off easy.

"Good, then you're going to get the spanking of your life," Brian declared.

"Brian, no," Justin pleaded. He was shoved onto Brian's naked lap. He could feel Brian's already semi-erect dick pressing into his own groin. "No, Brian."

"You know you like it," Brian chuckled evilly. "Time to pay the piper."

"Your pipe is enjoying this," Justin laughed and then felt his sweat pants yanked down. The cool air on his exposed ass quickly receded as Brian administered the first sharp slap. "Ow! That hurt," Justin cried.

"That's the idea," Brian stated as his hand came down on the other cheek."

"Ow!"

"Don't be a big baby. You dished out some punishment and now it's time to take it like a man."

Brian's hand came down again. Justin bit his lip and said nothing. He wriggled at the slap but was determined not to sound like a wimp as he took his punishment. He could feel his dick grow hard, and he felt Brian's already stiff one poking into him. Brian continued to administer three more slaps, alternating between each cheek.

"Nice rosy red color is developing," Brian observed as he surveyed his handiwork. "Had enough yet?"

Justin nodded his head vigorously, but didn't say anything. Brian smiled at the reaction and gently turned Justin over so that he was on his back on the sofa with his ass resting against the cool leather. His legs were still across Brian's lap.

"I think it's time for the next part of your punishment," Brian said with a smirk.

Justin's eyes got very big. "Wha … what do you mean?"

Brian grabbed Justin's shoulders and glared down at him.

"Brian?" Justin said uncertainly a worried look on his face.

"Be quiet," Brian ordered. Justin felt his legs being raised and his body being bent in half. Brian inserted a finger and started to open him up. Justin gulped and held onto the cushion of the sofa as Brian finger fucked him.

"Brian," Justin moaned as he bucked up and down on the finger.

"You are such a slut," Brian said against Justin's throat as he took a bite.

"Ah," Justin cried but his arms reached up to pull Brian in for a kiss.

They were both painfully hard by the end of the kiss. Brian's hands were all over him and he was begging. No one knew his body like Brian did. Justin was whimpering and pleading as Brian continued his onslaught of bites and kisses and squeezes.

"Oh fuck, Brian, please!"

"That's what I intend to do," Brian replied as he grabbed lube from the table next to the sofa.

He positioned his well lubed cock and plunged into his partner. Justin moaned and took it all. He knew Brian was out to prove something, probably that he could give a much better fuck than Justin had given him a few hours earlier. Justin smiled to himself as Brian pounded into him.

"What are you smirking about?" Brian asked as he paused fully embedded in Justin's ass.

"Um … nothing," Justin smiled. He knew Brian would be giving him the fuck of his life and he didn't want any stray comment to ruin that. "Just happy."

"Happy? You're fucking happy?"

"With your dick up my ass and the cool leather under my sore bum, how could I be otherwise?"

"Twat!" Brian said but he couldn't help but show his own smile. "I love you, you know."

"I know," Justin said smugly. "Even when I'm a twat."

"Which is most of the time," Brian replied as he started to pound Justin's ass once again.

"Un unh."

"Oh yes you are," Brian gasped.

"Never," Justin cried as Brian hit a particularly sweet spot. "I'm your perfect bottom boy."

"And remember that the next time you want to top."

"And then you'll let me do it, right?" Justin gasped. He felt the first tinglings of orgasm as Brian drove into him.

Brian knew he was reaching the end. He felt his balls draw up and watched a drop of sweat fall from his forehead onto Justin's chest. He hiked Justin's legs higher as he pumped his hips faster. "You may never top again," Brian blurted out.

"You don't mean that," Justin cried as Brian grabbed his dick and started to tug in time with his thrusts.

"Wanna bet!" Brian cried and then it was over. They both felt the world tip sideways and Justin found Brian lying on top of him. He didn't know how much time had passed.

"Brian," Justin said gently as he ran his hands up and down Brian's back. "You okay?"

Brian managed to raise his head and look into the blue eyes. "Yeah, I think you've been properly punished."

"Me too," Justin giggled.

"Twat."

"Never."

"Can I rest a minute more before we pick up that argument again?" Brian asked as his head fell back on Justin's chest.

"Stay as long as you want," Justin replied. He pulled the afghan over them and they both dozed off.

Some time later Brian awoke and started to stir. Justin was holding him tight. "Justin," he whispered, "let me up."

"Um, okay," Justin said as he opened his eyes. "That was very hot … like my ass."

"Your ass always was your best feature," Brian laughed as he sat up.

"Hotter than ever after my spanking."

"I didn't hurt you too much did I?" Brian asked.

"No, I'm fine, and I really liked my punishment."

"I enjoyed doling it out," Brian agreed.

"I'm starved."

"Want to order something in?"

"Sounds good. We can shower before they deliver it."

Brian offered Justin his hand and he pulled the younger man to his feet. "Let's see that ass." He turned Justin around. "Still a nice rosy red."

Justin looked so cute, trying to check out his ass by looking over his shoulder, that Brian couldn't help but chuckle.

"Let's order that food and then I'll hold a mirror at your backside so you can examine my handiwork."

"You are such a good partner," Justin giggled reaching up to kiss Brian's cheek.

"Nothing but the best for Brian Kinney's partner."

"I love you," Justin whispered.

"I know," Brian said with a smile before reaching for the phone.

*****

Brian had let himself be talked into pizza. They ate it at the kitchen table, Justin sitting on a big, soft cushion that Brian provided for him. Justin had picked up Algernon's diary and started to read some more, when they had finished up as much of the pizza as they cared to eat. Brian got up and cleared the table putting the extra slices of pizza in the fridge. He knew Justin would eat them later.

When he was done, Justin's nose was still buried in the diary. "Find any more juicy tidbits?" Brian asked.

Justin shook his head. "The most surprising thing is that Mr. Baggley kept coming back to Algernon's room night after night. He did that the whole time his wife was away. I think Algernon fell in love with him. He calls him Chester sometimes, and occasionally 'the master', but they sound like terms of affection more than anything else."

"That must have made it interesting when Baggley's wife returned."

"I'm just getting to that part. Here's what Algernon said the night before her return."

I fear that my time with the master is about to end. He told me tonight that his wife will return on the morrow. Chester laid with me many times tonight. I wish he would tell me his true feelings, but he is very hesitant. I don't care if he has a wife, but I need to know that he cares for me. Chester has become my whole world. I live for his visits to my room. I long for him until there is the quiet tap on my door signaling his arrival. I don't know what I will do if he does not come to my room anymore. I think I shall have to leave this house. I couldn't bear to look at him every day and know that he will never be with me again.

"Sounds like old Algie's got it bad," Brian laughed.

"It's not funny, Brian. He knew instinctively that he was gay, but Chester is his first experience, his first love. You never forget that."

"Are you talking about Algernon or yourself?"

"Both. I know how he feels."

Brian leaned over and kissed Justin's cheek. "I'm going back to 'The Wind in the Willows'. Let me know if there are any more juicy sections in the journal. Maybe we can recreate another fantasy."

Justin snorted, but he also smiled. "Raping" Brian had been incredible. He could handle another fantasy like that. Their fuck on the sofa hadn't been too shabby either. Maybe reading Algernon's diary had side benefits that he had never contemplated. He got back to his reading.

Some time later Justin fingered the final page of the journal. He had glance at the page to check that it was the final entry but he had turned the page back. He was almost afraid to read the last page. He wondered what would be on it.

"Brian," he called.

"Yeah."

"I'm at the last page of the diary. Come out here and I'll read it to you."

"Is it good?" Brian asked with a waggle of his eyebrows as he entered the kitchen.

"I don't know. I'm afraid to turn the page," Justin admitted.

"Do you expect the murderer's name to be written there?"

"No, but I' worried about what he might or might not say. I so want to solve this murder."

"Justin," Brian said patiently. "The police couldn't solve the crime back then, and almost a hundred years have passed since. You don't need to put that kind of pressure on yourself."

"You don't think I can do it, do you?"

"If anyone can, it would be you," Brian said as he sat down across the table from Justin. He laid his hand on Justin's where it rested on the table.

"Thanks," Justin said sincerely. He needed Brian's reassurances.

"Did anything much happen before this last page?" Brian asked.

"Baggley kept visiting Algernon in his room … even after Mrs. Baggley returned.

"That must have been interesting. Fucking his wife and Algernon too," Brian snorted.

"That's not what Algernon calls it. It seems like they were in love. Even though Chester never really tells Algernon that he loves him, the way Algernon describes them being together, that's sure what it sounds like."

"You're such a romantic," Brian said gently shaking his head. "I think old Chester just knew a good fuck when he found one."

"Like you knew a good fuck when you found me?" Justin questioned him.

Brian winced slightly. "That's what I tried to convince myself of for a long time, but you turned out to be … more." He gave Justin's hand a gentle squeeze.

Justin smiled. "Well, thanks for that," he said. "There do seem to be some parallels between us and them."

Brian made a face. "There's no Mrs. Kinney to complicate our relationship," Brian told him.

"It's complicated enough without a Mrs. Kinney."

"Your point?" Brian asked with tongue in cheek.

Justin ignored him. "Ready to hear the final entry?" Justin asked as he changed the subject. Brian nodded, but he kept his hand on top of Justin's, a gesture that was not lost on the younger man.

Chester left my bed a few minutes ago. He seems to think that his wife is becoming suspicious. He said he may not be able to come to me so often. He wants us to be careful. I don't know if I can do that. I seem to need to be with him every day.

I asked him if he would consider leaving his wife and coming away with me. I said we could go to another city and be happy together. He looked horrified and said that could never happen. I felt so foolish for suggesting it, and so hurt that he wouldn't even consider it. I thought he loved me, but I'm not as important as his wife and child and his position in the community. I don't know what to do.

I fear that his wife will find out. That would mean that I would have to leave. I don't want to be sent away from Chester. I love him so. Maybe if Mrs. Baggley found out and wanted a divorce, then Chester and I could be together. That's probably wishful thinking on my part, but that's what I want. That Chester and I should be together …always.

"That's it?" Brian asked.

Justin nodded. "We're no wiser than when we started," he admitted softly.

"My vote goes to Baggley for killing him. If his wife did find out, there's nothing scarier than a closeted queen. I could see him choosing his fucking wife over the butler he was fucking. He may have killed Algernon to shut him up."

"I think he loved Algernon. You didn't read all the other parts. I don't think he would kill his lover."

"Stranger things have happened," Brian told him.

"Yeah, but I can't buy that."

"Then maybe there truly was an intruder," Brian suggested.

"An intruder who stole nothing, didn't try to kidnap the daughter, and merely shot the butler in his bed."

Brian shrugged. "We always knew that it was a mystery."

"I know, but I was hoping to get closer to the truth."

"And the ghost was hoping the same," Brian laughed but it didn't sound very humorous. He had been hoping Justin might find the answer to the mystery of Algernon's death and put the fucking ghost to rest once and for all.


Chapter 28 - Work Crew by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work Crew

"I understand…Yeah, it's okay…Let me know." Brian slammed down the receiver on the phone in the kitchen. "Fuck!"

"What's going on? You almost knocked the base off the wall," Justin said as he came in from the pool area.

"That was Nate," Brian said like that explained everything.

"He's not coming back," Justin said with a sigh.

"You got it on the first guess, Sunshine."

"Shit! What are we going to do now?"

"Like I know! I think we're fucking screwed … and without lube."

"There has to be something we can do. Can we offer Nate more money?"

"If I had any more money to offer him, I would," Brian said running his hand through his hair. "As it stands, if I don't get the Remsen account, I'm fucked. I won't even be able to pay for what's been done already."

"But … I thought you got your severance and…"

"I did, but that fucking mansion still cost a fortune."

"I'm sorry, Brian. I didn't know."

"It's not your fault."

"I should have been looking for another job instead of sitting around the house reading that fucking diary."

"You have a job. You're the head of my art department," Brian said fiercely.

Justin smiled in spite of his worry. He liked to hear Brian say things like that. He reached out and pulled Brian into a hug. "Did Nate suggest any other contractors that we might contact about the job?" Justin asked as he wracked his brain trying to think of some way to help.

Brian shook his head. "The only suggestions he had were people I'd already contacted and they didn't want the job then. I'm sure they won't be rushing right over to take it now," Brian said bitterly.

"I'm sorry," Justin said gently.

"You know the strangest thing."

"What?"

"Nate says he would be willing to continue the job, but his men won't come back. Nate got hurt worse than any of them, and he still wants to finish what he started. He says he doesn't have a concussion by the way. Just a bump on the head."

"But he's all right otherwise?" Brian nodded. "Couldn't we work with him to finish it?" Justin asked as the idea dawned on him.

"Are you fucking kidding? I'm not touching a power saw or a fucking hammer for that matter. I value my fingers too much."

"But…" Justin said thoughtfully. "If Nate did all the power tool stuff, couldn't we lift and carry for him?"

"Yes, we could, Sunshine," Brian said softly with an appreciative smile to his supportive partner. He remembered how Justin had grabbed that hammer and trudged up the stairs to take down the wall to the attic all by himself. "But we can't do the work of the four men that he had with him. We probably wouldn't make up for even one of his men. It would take us weeks, months probably."

"Shit! What are we going to do?"

"I don't know about you, but I'm going to have a drink."

"Make it two," Justin said as he slumped down dejectedly into his chair at the kitchen table.

Brian returned from the family room with two glasses of Beam. He set one down in front of Justin and raised the other in mock salute. "To … the ghost! You screwed us right royally, Algernon!"

"Brian," Justin said as he refused to drink to that. "It's not Algernon's fault."

"Then who the fuck's fault is it?" Brian demanded as he stalked back into the family room to replenish his drink.

"Don't get drunk, Brian," Justin said hoping to stop the inevitable.

"Why don't you shut the fuck up? Leave me alone."

Justin stood up without touching the now unwanted drink. He looked in the family room at Brian who was sprawled on the sofa sipping at his Beam. At least he wasn't throwing it back one after another.

"I'm going out for a bit," Justin said.

"Don't forget to come back. I'm not sure I can take anybody else bailing on me," Brian called as Justin reached the front door.

Justin smiled. It was good to hear that Brian wanted him to come back even under these less than ideal circumstances. For once Brian wasn't pushing him away when a crisis arose. He needed to let Brian wallow for a while, make himself scarce, and then come back later to pour Brian into bed when he was totally blotto.

*****

When Justin returned a couple of hours later he found Brian passed out on the sofa. He had the meager remnants of the bottle of Beam resting on his chest.

"Ah, Brian," Justin said shaking his head. He knew that liquor was one of Brian's tried and true pain management techniques. Obviously he had put it to good use, or bad use, depending on your point of view. Justin gently patted the side of Brian's face trying to rouse him.

"Wha…?" Brian muttered pushing Justin's hand away.

"Come on, big guy. Up and at 'em. We're going to bed."

"No, need a drink," Brian mumbled.

"You've had plenty," Justin said prying the almost empty bottle out of Brian's hands. "You're going to be so sorry about this in the morning. Come on," Justin repeated trying to pull Brian to his feet.

"No, need a drink."

Justin sighed. If one pain management technique could work, so might another one. "Hey, come on, Brian. I want to fuck. I'll give you the best blowjob if you come with me."

Justin watched Brian's eyes flicker with lust. Getting his dick sucked was always Brian's favorite of his many pain management methods. "'Kay," Brian said trying to stand.

Justin hooked his arm under Brian's and helped him rise. He felt Brian sway and lean heavily against him. "Slowly," Justin said.

"I must be out of practise, Shunshine," Brian slurred. "I used to be able to drink two bottles of that and keep right on dancing."

"I know, I know," Justin agreed. "I've seen you do it."

"Those were the days!"

"Yeah, I'm sure they were."

Justin guided Brian out of the family room and along the hall to the stairs. Getting him to climb them was going to be tricky.

"Tired, Shunshine, very tried," Brian muttered and leaned more heavily on Justin.

"Focus, Brian. We have to get you upstairs if you want that excellent blowjob."

"All blowjobs are excellent," Brian told him, seeming to concentrate for a minute, despite his alcoholic haze. "Even the mediocre ones. As long as you get off…"

"Right, keep walking, Brian."

"I could just sleep on the couch," Brian said reasonably.

"Yes, you could, and then I would get to listen to you gripe all day about your back and why the fuck I let you sleep there. So, keep moving." Justin maneuvered Brian up the first couple of steps.

Suddenly Brian started to sway and Justin thought for a moment that they were both going to be tipping over backwards and falling down the stairs. He gave Brian a shove towards the steps to stop him from going ass over teakettle backwards. Brian pitched forward and sprawled out on the stairs.

"Fuck!" Justin said as he realized he now had to get Brian back on his feet.

"You said you were gonna fuck me," Brian said looking up at Justin with an accusatory glance.

"Then get your ass up the stairs and I will," Justin replied exasperated with the whole situation.

Brian started to crawl up one step at a time using his knees. Justin watched in disbelief.

"Jesus, Brian! Get up."

"Can't, the stairs are shpiraling down all around me. Have to hold on."

"Then keep crawling," Justin said with a sigh as Brian had already managed to get about halfway up the stairs. He stayed behind his drunken partner knowing that it would be far safer if Brian fell forward than backwards. He could try to stop any backward motion by being behind him.

"Almost there, Shunshine," Brian crowed obviously pleased with himself.

Justin would have liked to have had a movie of Brian's tortuous ascent of the stairs. It would have been a good laugh some night in the future or blackmail when he really wanted Brian to do something for him.

"Made it," Brian said as he plopped down on the upstairs hallway floor. He looked up at Justin with a goofy grin like he wanted approval for his accomplishment.

"That's great, Brian. Now see if you can stand. We have to go down the hall to the bedroom."

"You could blow me here?" Brian said with what he must have thought was a tempting look on his face.

"I could, but I won't," Justin said. "Get up."

"You're no fun, Shunshine."

"That's right. And there won't be any fun until I get you in bed."

"We can have fun in bed," Brian grinned as he pushed himself back up onto his knees.

Justin helped him get the rest of the way to vertical. "That's it, just a little bit farther," Justin encouraged him as they wove their way down the hall. Justin pushed the door to the bedroom open with his foot and they staggered in. Justin half ran with Brian to the bed refusing to let the man topple over until he got there. Once they were near the bed, Justin gave Brian a push and he landed safely atop the sheets.

"That was fun, now blow me," Brian said looking up at his partner and fumbling with the buttons on his jeans.

"You are such an asshole," Justin replied shaking his head.

"You promised," Brian pouted.

"That I did." Justin unbuttoned Brian's jeans, swatting away Brian's inept fingers, and pulled out the infamous cock. "Christ, are you always hard - drunk, sober, stoned?"

Brian nodded his head and giggled. Justin had to laugh at how like a horny little boy his supposedly grown up partner looked.

Justin slid his hand up and down Brian's dick watching the grin on Brian's face turn to lust. He crawled up onto the bed and sucked the hard cock into his mouth. Brian let out a groan and thrust his hips upward driving his dick into the velvet warmth of Justin's mouth.

"Easy," Justin said.

"I might pass out, Shunshine, so you better get moving."

"You wouldn't dare pass out while I'm blowing you," Justin challenged him.

Brian shrugged and looked into Justin's eyes. "You never know."

"Oh, I know," Justin replied as he got to work on Brian's cock.

"Fuck," Brian breathed as he felt his body respond to every twirl of Justin's tongue, every suck from those luscious lips, every cool breeze of Justin's breath across his rigid member.

In no time flat Brian was coming like he rarely did. Justin sucked it all out of him and swallowed it all.

"I knew you wouldn't pass out until that was over," Justin said confidently.

Brian grunted in response, his eyes still closed. The aftershocks were still rippling through him.

"Go to sleep, Brian. You need to get up early tomorrow," Justin told him as he yanked Brian's jeans off. He decided to leave the T-shirt on. He rolled Brian over onto his side and safely onto the bed. He threw a cover over him and walked into the bathroom. "You're going to be very busy tomorrow, and that hangover is not going to improve your mood," he said into the mirror as he washed his face and got ready for bed.

*****

"Briiian," Justin cooed. "Wakey, wakey."

"What the fuck!!" Brian grumbled as Justin's insistent voice broke through the haze that seemed to surround him.

"Time to get up."

"Fuck off," Brian said as he tried to bury his face in the pillow.

"You have an appointment at eight o'clock."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do. I told Nate we'd meet him at the mansion at eight."

"Did he call?" Brian asked as he tried to raise his head. He let out a moan and dropped his face back into the pillow.

"Yes," Justin said. "Get up."

"I can't. My head will explode."

"I could make you some of my grandmother's hangover remedy."

"Are you fucking crazy? That stuff would kill me. It tastes like yak shit."

"So, get up and I won't have to force feed it to you."

"What does Nate want? Are the men coming back to work?" Brian asked hopefully.

"I don't know. Um…we should go find out."

"You go," Brian said as he buried his face once again.

"Come on, Brian. Have a shower and you'll feel better."

"Fuck off!"

"You are the asshole to end all assholes. Now, get your ass out of that bed and into the shower," Justin yelled.

Brian felt his head expand and contract. He knew he was going to go blind. "Do…don't do that," he begged.

"Then get up or I'll start shouting again."

"You have the biggest fucking cruel streak of any person I've ever met."

"Yeah, and I'm really enjoying pissing you off. Get up," Justin shouted.

"Okay, okay," Brian moaned. "Just shut the fuck up." With supreme effort he managed to sit up on the side of the bed.

"Here, take these." Justin handed him a couple of aspirin and a glass of water.

"Where's the rest of the bottle?" Brian asked. "Two fucking aspirin are not going to make a difference."

"Get in the shower. You'll feel better."

"Promise?"

"Come on," Justin said gently pulling on Brian's hand. "I'll go with you."

Brian tried to waggle his eyebrows suggestively but the movement made his eyes feel like they were going to fall out of their sockets. He groaned and closed his eyes. He allowed Justin to guide him into the bathroom and then the shower. Justin adjusted the water so that it would be very steamy hoping that might help clear Brian's head. Brian pulled his partner against his body and leaned against him as the hot water cascaded over them.

Suddenly Justin felt something poking at his groin. "You have to be kidding," he said in disbelief.

"What?"

"You're hard."

"So?"

"Drunk, sober, stoned, hungover," Justin laughed.

"I repeat, so?"

"I guess you want me to do something about that."

"That would be nice," Brian whispered.

"Can you stand on your own? It's hard to blow you from up here."

"I'll try," Brian said.

"Such sacrifices," Justin chuckled as he dropped to his knees.

The blowjob was fast and satisfying. When Brian came he could feel a lot of the pressure and tension leave his body. He pulled Justin to his feet and kissed him thoroughly.

"Thank you, Sunshine," he whispered as he turned off the water.

"Don't you mean Shunshine?" Justin asked with a giggle.

"Huh?"

"Never mind. Let's get dressed and we can have a quick breakfast before we meet Nate."

*****

Some time later Justin was driving them to the mansion.

"Tell me again why we're meeting Nate on a Saturday morning."

"Because he wants us to."

"But you said his men weren't coming back?"

"That's right."

"Then I don't see the point to this … unless Nate wants to be paid. Fuck! I don't have the money to pay him right now."

"You will in a week when Remsen makes his final decision."

Brian smiled as Justin pulled into the driveway of the Baggley house. "What are all these vehicles?"

"You'll see," Justin grinned as he stopped the car.

They got out and walked to the house. Justin opened the door and they went inside.

"Nate," Justin called.

Nate stepped out of the office. "Come on in here."

Brian and Justin walked across the foyer and entered the office.

"Surprise!" a chorus of voices called.

Brian stared at the assembled group in disbelief. There in front of him was Emmett in a pink hard hat with leather vest and pants. Behind him were Ben and Michael. Ben wore a tool belt while Michael carried a hammer. Hunter was there looking longingly at Brian much to Justin's annoyance. Debbie, Vic and Rodney were armed with tools as they grinned at Justin and Brian. Ted and Cynthia were smiling at them too. Even Lindsay and Melanie looked ready for work.

"What the fuck are you all doing here?" Brian asked. "And more importantly, what the fuck are you supposed to be, Honeycutt?"

Emmett did a little pirouette. "We're your work crew," he said with a big gap toothed grin.

Chapter 29 - Work Force by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Work Force

"Fuck!" Brian said as he shook his head and looked at the motley crew in front of him. "Now I know I'm in trouble."

"Don't be a meanie," Emmett said. "We're here to help and Nate has already assigned us jobs."

"I want to be able to conduct business in here," Brian griped. "Can you guarantee that?"

They all looked at Nate.

"They're enthusiastic and they listened well and some of them have some experience," Nate tried to reassure Brian.

"Experience as what?" Brian asked as he looked over the assembled masses. "Worst dressed pretend contractors?"

"Hey!" Debbie shouted. "Watch that mouth of yours!"

"Let's get to work, Nate," Ben suggested.

"Good idea," Nate agreed. "You have your assignments, so get started."

Everyone moved off, some of them giving Brian a wary and disapproving look as they walked by.

"You could have been a little more gracious," Lindsay said to him as the others moved out of the room. "They all came here to help you."

"I didn't ask for their fucking help," Brian spit out. He wasn't feeling like being gracious, not when he had visions of his place of business being turned into a total fiasco by this inept band of workers.

"They offered their help freely," Lindsay said. "You could at least show them a little appreciation."

"Yeah, and free usually isn't worth much."

Lindsay sighed, "Brian."

"Where's my son?" Brian demanded realizing that the Munchers were there but Gus was not.

"He's with the babysitter. He wanted to come help build his Dada's business, but a construction site is no place for a five year old."

"True," Brian had to admit. He liked the idea that Gus wanted to come and assist him.

"I better join Melanie or she'll accuse me of shirking," Lindsay laughed ruefully.

"I can't believe she's here too," Brian admitted.

"Neither can she." Lindsay disappeared out the door.

"You did this, didn't you?" Brian asked turning to Justin.

"Well, something had to happen," Justin said softly.

Brian shook his head. "How many arms did you have to twist?"

"Surprisingly few. They came because they wanted to," Justin said simply. "They're your friends."

"And Emmett used it as an excuse to buy new leathers."

"Yeah," Justin laughed.

"Ready to get to work?" Nate asked as he came back into the office from making sure the others were all doing their assigned tasks.

"You don't expect me to work, do you?" Brian asked. "I'm the one who hired you."

"You don't get off that easy, Brian. If all your friends are working, so are you," Nate told him.

"That's right," Justin agreed.

"What do you want me to do?" Brian asked grudgingly. "And it better not involve power tools."

"I thought you and Justin could clean up the area around the opening to the attic. Take down the rest of the plaster and boards."

"I guess we could do that," Brian said.

"Good. Here's a crowbar and a hammer. The dustpan and bin is upstairs."

"Okay," Brian said as Justin took his hand. They started towards the stairs.

They could hear Emmett and Ted helping Michael, Ben and Hunter to clear the debris that had fallen on Nate. The girls seemed to be in the kitchen doing something. Nate was revving up the power saw. Brian and Justin would be up in the attic all by themselves.

"Do you think Nate sent us up here for a reason?" Brian asked as they climbed the stairs.

Justin nodded. "I think he wanted to keep the others out of the attic. I wonder if Algernon will know that I've read his diary."

"We're about to find out," Brian said as they reached the landing. "I'll go up the ladder and pull down the stuff around the opening. Hold the ladder for me?"

"Of course," Justin said with a smile. He'd make sure nothing happened to Brian.

It didn't take them long to pry off the rest of the wallboard that had enclosed the stairway leading to the attic. They stored the larger pieces in the bin that Nate had provided. Once they had wiped down the walls and swept up the dust, it was almost like the wall had never been there.

"If there's something that can be done to fill the nail holes," Brian said, "then I think all this needs is a coat of varnish."

"Let's ask Nate," Justin suggested.

Nate came up to see what they were doing. He agreed about filling the holes and gave them some compound to fill them. He also told them that everyone had agreed to return the following day. He hoped to have things ready so that the rooms could be painted then.

Brian smiled. It really did seem like things were coming together. "Thank you, Sunshine," he said as he kissed Justin gently. "We might actually have this place up and running next week, and it's all thanks to you."

"It's thanks to your friends," Justin told him. "Make sure you let them know how much you appreciate what they've done, and do it before the day is over."

Brian made a face but he also nodded in agreement.

"Let's fill these holes," Justin said.

"I love filling holes," Brian smirked.

"I know you do," Justin chuckled.

"I'll mix this up," Brian told him as he studied the instructions on the box of compound. He headed off to the bathroom to get some water and a container.

Justin wandered up the stairs into Algernon's old domain. He looked around before walking over to the chest of drawers where they had found the diary.

"I read it all," Justin whispered. "Your secrets are out. I wish I knew who killed you, but that's still unknown. I hope you approve of me reading your diary. I think you wanted the world to know about you. I'm still going to try to figure out who murdered you, but it's not going to be easy. Any hints you could give me would be greatly appreciated."

Justin waited. Nothing happened.

"You're awfully quiet today," he said softly. "Do you approve of Brian buying this place? He's gay too, and so am I. I think you already know that though. A lot of the people working here today are gay too. I hope that meets with your approval." Justin listened intently and glanced around the room. Nothing happened. "I wish you could give me a sign."

Justin stared at the room as he waited for something to happen. Suddenly he saw the faintest of movement in the curtains that hung over the window. He smiled. Algernon was trying to tell him that it was all right. He knew instinctively that that was what the curtains moving meant.

"Justin."

Justin jumped at the sound of Brian's voice. "Up here," he called.

"What are you doing, Sunshine?" Brian asked as he stuck his head into the room. "Communing with the dead?"

Justin shivered involuntarily. "Don't make fun of that, Brian," Justin warned.

"Come on. I got this goop mixed up. I need some help."

"You always need help," Justin laughed.

"What are you implying?" Brian asked looking put upon.

"Just that you are very high maintenance … but I wouldn't have it any other way," Justin added quickly. He didn't want to make Brian mad. Things seemed to be going very well. "Now get your ass back down those stairs and let's get this done."

"Christ, give them an inch and they take a mile," Brian snarked.

"Nine inches," Justin laughed.

"Nine and a half."

"Well, pardon me!"

"Come on, twat."

Before long they had the holes all filled. Justin suggested that they order something in for lunch. Brian got on the phone and ordered several pizzas deciding that was probably the easiest, cheapest and most generally agreeable food that they could get for everyone.

Some time later they were all sitting on the front steps and the balustrade eating their pizza and drinking sodas.

"This is yummy," Emmett said. "Thanks, Brian."

Justin gave Brian a nudge. "It's the least I could do since all of you came out here on your weekend to help. I do appreciate it," Brian said trying to sound sincere. He really did mean it.

"Excuse me," Emmett reacted. "Did I hear correctly?" Brian looked baffled by Emmett's reaction. "Did we actually get a thank you from Brian Kinney?"

"As close as we're going to get," Hunter laughed. Ben gave him an elbow.

"After lunch I need to get the drywall up where we're partitioning," Nate said stepping in and refocusing the discussion.

"I can help with that. I worked a couple of summers for a drywall company when I was going to school," Ben said.

"You still are in school, aren't you?" Michael laughed.

"Yes, dear," Ben replied good-naturedly.

"That's great, Ben. Then you're in charge. Pick your work force," Nate told him. "Once the drywall is up, it will have to be taped. Then I want to get to the cabinets that I'm building."

"You think we can get all of that done today?" Ted asked.

"If you all work as hard this afternoon as you did this morning, we're good," Nate said confidently.

Everyone smiled and looked around. Brian could hardly believe his ears. It was all actually coming together, and the ghost had been quiet all day … so far. They all finished off their slices of pizza and headed back into the house. Brian grabbed Nate's arm.

"Are we really going to get all the drywall done this weekend?"

"That's the plan."

"I can't believe it."

"Believe. Your friends have done a great job on the cleanup. If they're half as good with the drywall, we should be mostly finished tomorrow. I started the girls and Vic and his partner painting in the kitchen. They can paint the art department and conference areas tomorrow."

Brian shook his head. "I thought I was … screwed," he admitted.

"So did I," Nate laughed. "My men are irreplaceable, but with the numbers we have working this weekend, it almost makes up for them. You have great friends."

"Yeah, I guess I do."

Nate gave Brian a funny look like he couldn't believe that Brian didn't know how great his friends were. He headed into the house. Brian and Justin followed him.

"What do you want us to do?" Justin called to Nate.

"You guys got all the holes filled?"

Brian looked a little sheepish as he said, "Yes, we do."

"Then start strippin'."

"Stripping?" Justin asked.

"You know, that fucking awful wallpaper up in the future art department and the almost equally excruciating stuff in the soon to be conference room," Nate laughed.

"Right," Brian replied.

"Use these," Nate said handing Brian and Justin some putty knives. "The wallpaper is of a vintage that may peel right off. If it doesn't, get some warm water and soak the stubborn areas. It should come away after that."

"I'm calling you when we get to the stubborn areas," Brian declared.

"Don't bother. I'll be busy." Nate disappeared into Brian's office and the power saw was switched on.

"Where do you want to start?" Justin asked.

"With your domain … the art department?"

Justin smiled and they made their way upstairs.

At first the wallpaper came off relatively easily. If they could hook the putty knife under an edge they could peel most of the strip in one piece. The wall around the windows gave them the most trouble. Brian got Justin to get the warm water and apply it to that area while he continued stripping the other walls. After a couple of hours of work they had all the paper down and were covered in dust and sticky glue gobs.

"You look pretty good with grey hair," Justin said eyeing Brian up and down.

"Huh?"

"Your hair is grey."

"What the fuck?" Brian demanded as he walked quickly to the bathroom to look in the mirror above the sink. "Shit!"

"It's just dust, Brian. It will wash out."

"It fucking better," Brian griped trying to shake as much of the dust out of his hair as he could.

"Leave it," Justin said. "We still have the conference room to do."

"Fuck. My back will never be the same."

"Come on."

The afternoon slipped away as the small work force created their miracles. By dusk the drywall was all up, taped and covered with compound. It needed to dry overnight before they could sand it again and make sure it was all smooth. That would be tomorrow's job.

The kitchen had been painted and cleaned. The stairs had been cleared and mopped. All the debris had been hauled outside. Nate had managed to start on the cabinets for the foyer.

Brian and Justin had removed the worst of the wallpaper. A couple of the smaller rooms still needed to be done, but there might be time for them the following day, or they could wait to be worked on later. They were not really needed for the business to get up and running.

"Okay," Nate called to them all. "Time to go home so you can get some rest and report back here bright and early in the morning."

"Are you kidding?" Debbie asked. "I could fucking lay down right here, and then you could just wake me up in the morning."

"You didn't overdo it, did you, Ma?" Brian asked giving her a squeeze.

"No, kiddo, I'm fine. I'll see you in the morning."

"Thanks, everyone," Justin said as they started towards the door.

"Come prepared to paint," Nate told them. "That will be the focus for tomorrow. Oh, and Ben, great work with the drywall. You can finish it off tomorrow."

"Thanks," Ben said. Everyone could see that he was pleased by the compliment.

"Good work, honey," Michael said giving Ben a kiss.

"Can we go home now?" Brian asked. "I'm exhausted."

"See you in the morning," Nate said.

"You get on home too," Justin told him as he led Brian out to the car.

"I'm glad you're driving," Brian said as he slumped into the passenger seat. "I'm not sure I can see straight."

"So you won't be getting drunk tonight then?"

"Twat!"

*****

The next day went very well too. They got most of their jobs done and the whole place almost looked ready for business. If you didn't know, you wouldn't realize that the rooms still needed a second coat of paint or that the woodwork still needed varnish. The outside of the house was perfect and the inside was passable. More than passable thanks to all the friends of Brian and Justin.

As everyone was cleaning up and getting ready to leave, Nate closed his cell phone and turned to Brian. "That was one of my men," he said.

"Oh?" Brian asked.

"He and one other guy are ready to come back to work tomorrow."

"You mean we fucking did all of this for nothing?"

"I'd hardly say it was for nothing, but they'll be able to do some of the finishing work and make things really tiptop."

"What about your other two guys?"

"They don't want anything to do with the place, so I'm going to start them on my next project. We should be finished here by Wednesday."

"I see," Brian said. "Um … I won't be in tomorrow. I have an appointment."

"That's okay," Nate said. "I think we can handle it."

"I appreciate everything you did with this questionable work force, Nate."

"It was my job. I didn't want to let you down."

"Thanks."

"Dada!" a little voice called.

Brian stepped out into the foyer to see Gus come barreling towards him. "Gus! What are you doing here?"

"Lisa brung me."

"Lisa?" Brian asked as the young woman of that name came through the front door.

"Hi, Mr. Kinney. Lindsay said it would be all right if I dropped Gus off. I have a date tonight."

"I see," Brian said as he scooped up his son.

"Do I need to pay you?"

"No," Lisa said. "It's all taken care of. Good night." She went out the front door.

"Shall we go find your mothers?"

"Tools," Gus said.

Brian chuckled. "There's lots of tools. Maybe Nate will show you the power saw."

"Yay!" Gus crowed.

Brian carried his son into the office where Nate was measuring some wood. "I thought I told you to go home."

"Just finishing up," Nate smiled.

"Gus, this is Nate. Gus would like to see some tools."

"Sure," Nate said. "Would you like to see how I cut this board?" Gus nodded enthusiastically. "You'll need safety glasses," Nate told Gus as he placed a pair of way too large glasses on Gus' nose.

"I'll get his mothers," Brian said and went out of the room. He could hear the saw start up as he headed for the kitchen.

Lindsay and Melanie were washing up in the kitchen. The new paint looked great.

"How do you like your break room?" Lindsay asked with a smile.

"Not bad," Brian replied. "Gus just arrived."

"Where is he?" Melanie demanded. "You shouldn't have left him alone."

"He's with Nate. He's fine," Brian said through gritted teeth. "I wouldn't leave him alone."

"Well, you never know…" Melanie couldn't help but add.

"They're in the office," Brian said as he went up the back stairs to find Justin. He thought his partner was probably up in the attic.

"Hey," Brian said as he came up the narrow stairs into the attic.

Justin was standing at the window looking out into the twilight. "Hey," he said softly.

"Any sign of Algernon?" Brian asked as he moved in behind Justin and wrapped his arms around the blond's chest.

Justin shook his head. "I think he's okay with me reading his journal, but I would be happier if I could have solved the mystery of his death."

"I tell ya, Baggley did it."

"Show me the proof," Justin joked as he turned in Brian's arms and stood on his tiptoes to kiss Brian.

"I wish I could, Sunshine. At least there were no disasters today."

"I think Emmett's outfit may have traumatized the ghost."

Brian laughed. "You got that right."

"Brian!" Nate called. "Brian, where are you?"

"Up here. What's wrong?"

"Get down here and see what Gus found," Nate called out.

"Okay, okay," Brian replied. He grabbed Justin's hand and they ran down the main stairs.

They found everyone standing in the office staring at Gus who was holding a wooden box with a carved top.

"What is it?" Brian asked.

"I found it, Dada," Gus said proudly.

He walked towards his father, but instead of giving it to Brian he handed it to Justin. There was a collective gasp as Justin accepted the box from the little boy.

Chapter 30 - Unraveling by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Unraveling

"Where did you find this, Gus?" Justin asked as he took the wooden box from the little boy.

"Over there," Gus said pointing to one of the bookcases.

"Show me," Justin requested.

He followed Gus over to one wall covered with bookshelves. Down near the bottom a panel was sticking out. It was hinged and somehow Gus must have opened it.

"How did you find this, Gus?" Justin asked.

"Nate wanted to measure some wood, so he told me to sit away from the saw. I wasn't sposta go near the saw," Gus said seriously. "And I didn't." The way everyone was looking at him made him think that he might be in trouble.

"It's all right. I'm sure you didn't touch the saw," Justin said in a reassuring voice. He didn't want to frighten the boy. "How did you find this panel?"

"I don't know," Gus said softly. "I just sat down here and there was that spot." Gus pointed to a little groove in the edge of the panel. "I stuck my finger in there and the wood started to move when I tried to pull out my finger."

Nate squatted down and closed the panel. "I doubt we would have ever found this … unless of course, we had painted all the shelves … like someone wanted." Nate stuck his finger in the little notch and managed to get the panel to swing out again. There was a compartment behind that wasn't much bigger than the box. It was empty now. "Nice craftsmanship," Nate said. "Someone knew what they were doing when they constructed this to house that box. It's a wonder anybody ever found it."

"What's in the fucking box?" Debbie demanded. Her curiosity was getting the better of her.

Everyone crowded around as Justin lifted the hinged lid of the box. He raised it slowly almost afraid of what he might find inside. He gingerly pulled out an envelope, a pocket watch and a picture of a woman, a man and a little girl.

"That must be Baggley, his wife and his daughter, Clarissa," Justin explained.

"Cute little girl. The wife looks pretty formidable," Ted said staring over Justin's shoulder.

Necks craned to get a look at the picture and the watch.

"What's in the envelope?" Vic asked.

Justin lifted up the flap of the envelope. "Looks like a letter."

"Read it!" Debbie demanded.

Justin looked flustered and opened his mouth to say something.

"This is Justin's mystery," Brian said decisively. "Why don't you all go home now? It's been a long day. Justin will read whatever's in the envelope. He needs to take his time and make sure he understands whatever's in there. Right, Justin?"

Justin nodded his head in agreement. He didn't think he would be able to read aloud anything about Algernon and Baggley, if indeed that was what was in the envelope. He needed to do that in private.

"So," Brian said, "head on home and thanks again for all your help."

"Let us fucking know what's in that envelope," Debbie griped, but she headed for the door. The others followed her.

"Will you be here tomorrow?" Nate asked Brian as he packed up his tools.

"No, I have a very important meeting tomorrow," Brian replied.

"Remsen," Justin whispered. He was staring at the envelope in his hand. He wondered if it might contain the answers to Algernon's death. He prayed that it did, but he also was very afraid that it might not. He wasn't at all sure that he would be able to open and read the pages inside.

"Justin," Gus said pulling at the leg of Justin's jeans.

"Yes, Gus," Justin replied looking down at the little boy.

"Did I do good finding the box?"

"You did very good. Thanks, buddy."

Gus smiled.

"Gus," Brian said, "why did you take the box to Justin and not to me?"

"I'm sorry, Dada."

"Don't be sorry. It's all right. I just wondered why you brought it to Justin."

"I don't know why. I … just felt like I should." Gus sighed.

"You did exactly what you were supposed to do, Gus." Justin smiled and bent over to kiss Gus' cheek.

"See you next weekend, Gus. Love you," Brian said as he kissed his son and shooed him out the door to his mothers.

"Let's go home," Brian said to Justin as he put his arm around Justin's shoulder.

"Yeah," Justin replied.

*****

Justin sat on the sofa in the family room. He still held the wooden box on his lap. It was open and the envelope, pocket watch and picture stared back at him. He was almost afraid to touch them.

"Set that on the end table," Brian ordered, "and eat."

"I don't know if I can," Justin admitted. "I seem to have this lump in my throat."

"Justin, if it's going to be like this, I'll throw that fucking box in the garbage."

"No!" Justin said quickly. He complied with Brian's order to move the box. He reached over the arm of the sofa and set the box on the end table. He gently closed the lid, hoping that not being able to see the contents might ease his mind for a while. He took the plate that Brian handed him.

They had stopped for takeout at their favorite Chinese restaurant. The food looked good, but Justin wasn't sure he could eat it. He poked at it with his chopsticks.

"You should eat that, not torture it," Brian said with a smirk as he sat down beside Justin with his own plate of food.

"What if the murderer is named in that letter?" Justin asked.

"Then we turn it over to the police."

"We do? Do you think they would do anything about it?"

"They'll mark the case closed. The murderer is probably long dead," Brian said with a sigh.

"That would be a good thing though, wouldn't it?"

"I suppose, but who gains from it? The fucking police who let you do all the work, that's who."

Justin smiled. He liked to hear Brian defend him. "Maybe it would put Algernon's ghost to rest."

"Yeah," Brian snorted. "If the fucking ghost actually is Algernon. Why do you think no accidents happened at the mansion today?" Brian asked with a frown. He had been wondering that all weekend.

"Maybe Algernon knows we're on his side," Justin said with a little grin.

"Ya think?"

"I do."

"Then maybe it's time you read that letter and we can see where it takes us," Brian said setting down his plate and lifting Justin's largely untouched plate out of his hands.

Justin picked up the box warily. "I'm … kinda scared," he said hesitantly.

Brian set down Justin's plate beside his own. He scrunched over to the end of the sofa. "Come here, Sunshine," he said gently.

Justin slid in between Brian's legs with his back against Brian's chest. It was one of the positions where he always felt safe. Justin set the box on his thighs and lifted the lid. He pulled out the picture and looked at it for a moment.

"I wish we had a picture of Algernon. It's nice to put a face to the past. Baggley's kind of handsome in an old fashioned way."

"His wife is very formidable looking as Ted said," Brian observed.

"Yeah, but their daughter is very sweet. She must have lived a lonely life in that house all those years by herself."

Justin pulled out the pocket watch and ran his thumb over the engraved surface of the back.

"That's an expensive watch," Brian said. "Looks like gold, high carat."

"Must have been Joseph Baggley's."

"Probably." Brian turned the watch and looked at the carving on the back. "Great workmanship." His finger traced the edge. He felt a little bump on one side. Looking closer he could see that there was a little notch in one side. He inserted his thumbnail and the back popped open swinging out to reveal some engraving.

"What is it?"

Brian picked up his glasses and looked at the fine print. "It's 18K gold with a twenty-five year guarantee," Brian read. "Nice."

Justin smiled. Brian was such a label 'ho. "Which company made it?"

"Tiffany, of course. Oh, look at this," Brian said as he turned the watch. On the back of the watch itself, not on the piece that had swung open, were engraved the letters J/A.

"Oh my God!" Justin blurted out. "Joseph and Algernon! Joseph must have given this to Algernon."

"Don't jump to conclusions," Brian said hastily.

"What else could it be?" Justin asked.

Brian shrugged. "J slash B could have been for you and me." Brian waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Justin smiled softly. He liked the sound of that. "JB would have been Baggley's initials, but it's J slash A. It has to be Joseph and Algernon."

"Maybe," Brian conceded. "Read the letter and let's see what old Joseph Baggley has to say for himself. Maybe it will say something about the watch." Brian snapped the watch closed but he held it in his hand rubbing it gently with his thumb.

"Here goes," Justin breathed as he lifted the flap of the envelope and pulled out the two pages of writing paper that were inside. "It's not very long."

"Not like the diary. Read, already!"

Justin grinned. Brian was as excited as he was, even though he didn't want to admit it. Justin could feel Brian's heart beating rapidly against his back. His own heart was doing the same. Justin began to read:

To whom it may concern:

I feel the need to set pen to paper and record some things that have long weighed on my mind. No one knows how long they will be in this weary world. Like my poor Algernon who was taken from me much too soon.

I have devoted myself to my family ever since the tragic events of that night now ten years behind us. My lovely little girl, Clarissa, is the light of my life. My wife only lived a couple of years after that fateful night. She lived a life separate from mine during that time, living alone in her room. I have done my best in very difficult circumstances.

The purpose of this letter is to reveal the events of that night so long ago when our butler, Algernon Blackwell, was murdered. It is with a heavy heart that I write these words. I wish I did not have to make this account, but I want the world to know what happened to that good man. Algernon was our butler, a fine young man, and my lover for far too short a time. Yes, Algernon and I engaged in homosexual relations. I loved him, even though my actions have shamed me in that regard. But I hope this will help to put things to right, at least a little bit.

If you are reading this, it means that someone has found my hiding place for these small tributes to Algernon and his brief life. Please pass this information on to the pertinent authorities. I hope the revelations will not impact my daughter as she had no part in any of these happenings.

The day Algernon died I had just purchased the enclosed pocket watch for my lover, Algernon. Yes, he was my lover. I admit it now, and am eternally sorry for not being able to admit it back then. I loved him even though our joining started as lust, pure and simple. I got to know him as time went on and our love grew. The watch was to be my token to him of that love.

Unfortunately that was also the day my wife found the watch in my desk. She said she found it by accident, but I know in my heart that she was suspicious of us and had gone looking for proof. I was returning home from my office late that evening with the intention of visiting Algernon in his room and giving him the watch. I had told him I could never leave my family, but I wanted him to know that I loved him.

As I approached the house something didn't seem right. It was more a feeling than anything else. I had started up the stairs when I heard a gunshot. I ran as fast as I could to check on Clarissa and Blanche. Clarissa was asleep and Blanche was not in her room. With fear in my heart I started up to the top floor of the house. Blanche was standing inside the doorway of Algernon's room. Her hand holding the gun hung limply at her side. I screamed at her wanting to know what she had done. Then I saw Algernon laying on his bed with blood all over his chest. I ran to his side and he looked at me once before he died in my arms.

I never got to give him the pocket watch. I discovered that Blanche had it clutched in her hand, the one that did not hold the gun. When I realized that Algernon was dead, I laid him gently down and turned to Blanche. She stared blankly back at me, and I knew her mind had snapped. She never really recovered from that night.

I managed to cover up Blanche's role in the tragic event. I felt it was the least I could do for her after all I had put her through. She retired to her room and we rarely spoke after that night. She stayed alone in her bedroom until her death a couple of years later. She kind of faded away, rarely spoke, didn't even have much contact with Clarissa. It was very sad for my daughter and for me.

I have decided to write these facts down so that when this is found some time in the future, the truth may be known. I pray that Algernon will forgive me and we may be together when I slip this worldly coil.

I hope Clarissa may lead a normal life as time goes on. I do not want my family to suffer for the mistakes, no, not mistakes, choices that I made in my life.

May God forgive me!

Joseph Baggley.


"Wow!" Justin said.

"So the wife killed him," Brian said softly.

"Joseph's love for Algernon ruined all their lives, even poor Clarissa's," Justin said sadly.

"Or you could say that the universe unfolded as it should, and Joseph got to have the love he was supposed to have against all odds."

Justin felt Brian's arms tighten around him. He turned his head to look into Brian's eyes. "You really are a romantic, aren't you?"

"Me! Fuck no!" Brian declared.

"It's okay, big guy, I know the truth and I'll never tell." Justin shifted around so that he could kiss Brian, a tender and warm kiss that lingered on the lips and penetrated into their souls. They both savored it before finally drawing apart.

"What are you going to do now?" Brian asked

"About what?" Justin said as he planted another kiss on Brian's lips.

"About the letter, twat."

"Oh, yeah, I guess I have to do something."

"Like report it to the police."

"I will…"

"Okay, what's the 'but' at the end of that statement?" Brian asked with a smirk. He knew his partner so well.

"I … I just want some time to myself to think about it first."

"Is that all?"

"Brian, the Algernon/Joseph thing, it cost them both so much."

"I'd say Algernon got the worst of it. I'm still surprised that it wasn't the male Baggley that killed Algernon. Joseph was so in denial."

"Not in that letter he wasn't?" Justin said defending Joseph Baggley.

"A lot of good that did Algernon. A lot of good it did either of them," Brian said shaking his head. "Algernon was dead and the Baggley family unraveled. Some story!"

"I just think the whole thing is so sad. Those were different times. I don't know that Joseph could have done things much differently."

"He could have turned his fucking wife in. Algernon deserved better," Brian declared.

Justin smiled at Brian, a warm, loving smile. "You do care about what happened to Algernon."

"Well … he was one of us."

"Yeah, he was."

"Make love to me, Brian, in memory of Algernon."

"Any time, Sunshine, any time."

Chapter 31 - The Finished Product by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss



The Finished Product

"Are you sure we need to take this to the police?" Justin asked as they entered the local police station.

"What else are we going to do with the contents of that box? Go to the fucking tabloids?"

"I'm just not fond of policemen and police stations," Justin said hesitantly.

"And you've had a lot of experience with them?" Brian asked with a quirk of his brow.

"You know … the bashing."

"Shit! I forgot about that. Not the bashing, the police. I thought you were unconscious for all that."

"I woke up eventually, Brian."

"Of course, and thank the gods that you did," Brian whispered as he gave Justin a hug.

"Can I help you boys?" the policeman asked from behind the desk. His look of disapproval spoke volumes.

Brian noted it and deliberately gave Justin a kiss on the lips. "We need to see someone about a murder," he said releasing Justin.

"Is this about reporting one or committing one?" the policeman asked in a rather derisive tone.

"Oh, we have a real comedian here," Brian said. There was no humor in his voice.

"Excuse me!" the policeman replied. There was anger in his eyes.

Justin squeezed Brian's arm begging him to be quiet. "This is really important, Officer," Justin said. "It's about an old homicide."

"It better be serious. Wait here." The policeman left the desk and went through a door to the back.

"I wonder if he's getting some more officers so they can lock us up," Justin said.

"They fucking better not be!" Brian said through gritted teeth.

"Maybe we shouldn't have come here, Brian."

"We have as much right to be here as any other fucking citizen."

They had discussed over and over about going to the police station. Each of them had had less than satisfactory dealings with the police over the years. It was too late now to just turn around and walk out.

"Detective Horvath will see you," the officer said as he returned to his place behind the counter. "Through there." He pointed to a door at the end of the room.

Brian and Justin walked towards the door wondering what would greet them on the other side. They opened the door and stepped through.

"I'm Detective Horvath," a middle aged man said. He was a little on the chunky side and had thinning hair. He had a pleasant face which made Justin feel a little better. Brian remained wary. "Come into my office," the detective said

Brian and Justin followed him into an office where he sat behind his desk. The desk was littered with file folders and a half eaten lunch.

"What homicide do you have information about?" Horvath asked as the younger men sat down.

"It's kind of complicated," Justin began.

"Have you ever heard of the old Baggley house over on Windermere?" Brian asked.

"You mean the haunted house?" Horvath asked. "Yeah, I know it. I investigated a series of accidents there when I first joined the force."

"I bought the place a few weeks ago," Brian said. "Did you know that the butler was murdered there almost a hundred years ago?"

"Yeah, it's common knowledge among the Pittsburgh police force. An unsolved murder! We don't like unsolved cases."

Brian listened to Horvath speak. The man sounded genuine, no bullshit. "We had a few 'accidents' during our renovations too," Brian admitted. "But Justin, this is Justin Taylor, and I'm Brian Kinney, by the way." Horvath nodded. "Justin got very interested in the story of the butler's murder."

"Is that right?"

"Justin, show the detective the box," Brian prodded.

Justin reached into his messenger bag which was slung around his shoulder. He pulled out the box and handed it to Horvath. "The butler, Algernon Blackwell, and the owner of the house, Joseph Baggley, were gay. They were having an affair. Joseph's wife killed Algernon when she found out. It's all in the letter," Justin explained.

"You're kidding, right?" Horvath asked as he opened the box and looked at the contents.

"I'm not kidding. We thought the police should know," Justin said. "It's all explained in the letter."

Horvath took the picture and the pocket watch out of the box. Then he picked up the envelope and pulled out the sheets of paper. He quickly skimmed the contents. "Well, I'll be damned! Where did you find this?"

"Hidden behind a bookcase," Brian supplied. "Actually it was my son who found it."

"Your son?"

"Yeah, it was quite well concealed, but you know how inquisitive little kids can be…" Brian said with a shrug.

"I'd like to see where this came from," Horvath stated. "Would you accompany me back to the Baggley house?"

"Um … I have a very important meeting in a little over an hour. I really need to go home and change," Brian tried to explain.

Horvath studied Brian for a minute. "What about you?" he asked turning to Justin.

"Um, I could go with you," Justin said reluctantly not wanting to go alone but he knew Brian had to meet with Remsen, So much depended on a good outcome to that meeting.

"Okay, let's go," Horvath said.

*****

Some time later Horvath pulled his car into the driveway of the Baggley house. Justin looked at the façade of the mansion as they approached the front entrance. It looked very impressive. He couldn't help but smile. The business was almost there. All they needed was for Brian to get the Remsen account.

"This place looks good," Horvath said as he got out of the car. "You fellas have got a lot farther with the renovations than anyone I can remember."

"We hope to be up and running this week," Justin said as he followed the detective up to the front door. "Nate!" he called as they went inside. Nate appeared out of the office. "Nate, this is Detective Horvath. We turned the box into him this morning."

"Did you find out who murdered the butler?" Nate wanted to know right away.

"The wife."

"The wife? Shit! I thought it was Baggley. I lost the pool."

"What pool?" Justin asked.

"The one that Emmett started last night."

"How did he have time to organize…"

"Excuse me," Horvath interrupted, "but I need to see where this box came from."

"Sorry, Detective," Nate said. "It's in here."

Detective Horvath went into the office and squatted down to examine the cavity where the box had resided for so many years. While Horvath closed and opened the panel a couple of times, Justin and Nate were whispering about the contents of the box and what Justin had discovered. Justin wanted the lowdown on Emmett's pool too.

"So, a child opened this door?" Horvath asked.

"Yes," Justin replied. "We were getting ready to leave last night and Gus' babysitter dropped him off."

"I told him to sit over there and not touch the machinery," Nate added nodding in the direction of the power saw that still sat in the middle of the room. "I went to measure something in the foyer and that's when Gus found the opening."

"I see," Horvath said with a frown. "I may need to speak to him. Gus Kinney, was that his name?"

"Um, no," Justin said quickly. His name is Gus Marcus-Peterson. He lives with his mothers."

"Mothers?" the detective asked raising an eyebrow.

"They're lesbians. Brian was the sperm donor."

"Modern families," Horvath said with a shake of his head. Justin wasn't sure whether Horvath was disapproving of someone being a sperm donor or of Gus' mothers being lesbians or of modern families in general.

"If you don't have any more questions, I need to get back to work," Nate said.

"Go ahead," Horvath told him. Nate quickly left the room. "I'm going to go through the letter and the other items in that box, and then I'll get back to you," Horvath said to Justin. "I'm finished here for now. Do you need a ride?"

"Um, no thanks. I'll stay here for now. Brian will pick me up later."

"Is he your partner?" Horvath asked, curiosity evident on his face.

"Yeah."

The detective again shook his head. He seemed slightly baffled by the whole thing. "I may need to be in touch with you again," Horvath said. "I might have some more questions."

Justin nodded. "Is it possible to get the box and its contents back … not now … but later, you know, after everything's been settled?"

"I'm not sure. I'll see what I can do," Horvath said before he left the building.

Justin watched Horvath walk away. The detective had been nicer than Justin had expected him to be. He seemed a little mystified by homosexuality and its implications, but at least he hadn't seemed homophobic, like that prick at the desk in the police station.

Justin really hoped he would get the letter and the watch back. Somehow he felt that he was destined to have them … to honor Algernon's memory. He started up the stairs. He knew where he needed to go.

"Justin," Nate called, "is Brian coming in later today?"

"Um … I think he'll be here in an hour or two."

"Good, I need to see him."

Justin continued to climb the stairs heading for the attic. He stopped on the steps and looked at the area that had been walled off until a few days ago. It looked now as it had probably looked when Algernon and Joseph had climbed these same stairs. The house seemed to be returning to normal.

Justin smiled to himself. This was how the place was supposed to be. This was where he and Brian could build their business. This was the future climbing out of the past. But there was one more thing that still needed to be done.

He walked into the attic space. He stood for a moment looking around.

"I know you can hear me, Algernon. I found out everything. It's all going to be settled soon. You can rest now." Justin waited not really expecting to see or hear anything. "I know Joseph loved you. He said so in his letter. I love Brian and we will never forget you."

The curtain hanging on the window shifted slightly.

"I know," Justin said softly. "You can rest now."

The curtains remained still. Justin knew in his heart that they would have no more encounters with the ghost. It was finished. And it was good that it was finished. Justin walked over to the window and lifted down the old tattered curtains that still hung there. He had deliberately left them when they had cleaned out the attic. The chest of drawers and the old chair had been removed, but he had left the curtains. They were the last connection with the ghost of Baggley mansion. Justin rolled them up and started down the back stairs to the kitchen. It was time for the curtains to be out of the house.

Justin stopped at the second step down. "Goodbye, Algernon. Rest in peace."

He continued down the stairs.

When Brian arrived a couple of hours later, Justin was up in his art department with a pad of paper sketching out possible layouts for the room. Brian called Justin's name and Justin told him where he was.

"How did it go?" Justin asked as he stood up and kissed Brian on the lips.

"Good, I think. Vance was there pushing his campaign. Mine was better, of course."

Justin smiled. He liked the positive and confident Brian. "Has Remsen decided?"

Brian shook his head. "He said he'd let us know by Wednesday."

"You'll get it," Justin said confidently.

"I know," Brian smirked.

"Oh, Nate was looking for you," Justin said.

"I better go see what he wants. I like this arrangement," Brian said with a smile as he looked at the layouts Justin had been working on.

"Me too," Justin grinned.

"I think we should go check out some furniture for this place. You ready to go after I speak to Nate?"

"I will be." Justin liked the idea of selecting furniture. The painting they had done on the weekend really looked great. With all the ugly wallpaper gone, he could actually visualize what his art department would look like. He hugged himself at the thought as Brian left the room.

"Nate, you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah," Nate said as he was assembling what looked like cabinets in Brian's future office. "I think we're going to be finished here by Thursday."

"Thursday?" Brian asked in surprise.

"We got a lot done on the weekend with all your friends helping."

"You mean they actually did their jobs correctly? I thought you'd have to rip out and redo everything they had fucked up."

"They were a great work force. We'd be no way near this far along if they hadn't worked all weekend," Nate explained. "My two men are finishing up all the carpentry and drywall that was left to do. I'm almost finished your cabinets for the foyer. Tomorrow everything gets a second coat of paint. Wednesday will be mostly touch up and getting these put in their right places." He gestured to the cherry wood cabinets he was constructing. "Thursday we clean up and make sure everything's pristine. And then we're outta here."

"I … I can't thank you enough for sticking with this," Brian admitted. He hated having to be grateful to anyone, but Nate had earned his thanks.

"I like to finish what I start," Nate said simply.

"I had a call from the sign people," Brian said. "They're delivering the 4Front sign for the front of the building tomorrow. If I show you where I want it, will you make sure it gets put in the right place?"

"Sure."

They walked outside together.

"Right above those windows," Brian explained pointing. "Make sure they center it in that space between the upper and lower windows."

"That's the perfect spot for it. I was thinking you would have a sign out by the road," Nate said.

"Like every other fucking business on the block. 4Front is an original."

"Just like its owner," Nate said with a smile.

"Well, I better get back to Justin. He's drawing floor plans of where everything should go. We're going furniture shopping now."

"Have fun," Nate said with a laugh as he went back inside.

Brian stood looking up at the old building. The improvements on the exterior really looked great. He had to glance up at the attic window but he didn't expect to see anything … and he didn't. Brian felt proud of the place, proud of what they had accomplished so far, and he knew he would be proud of the new business once it was up and running.

Justin was coming down the stairs when Brian went back inside.

"You ready to go?" Brian asked.

"Yeah. Are we going to look for some furniture for your office too?"

"I think so. I know what I want."

"You do?"

"Yep, come here." Brian grabbed Justin's hand and pulled him into the office. Nate was nowhere around, probably checking on his men who were working on Ted's office upstairs. "I see this sort of freeform desk sitting across that bank of windows."

"Freeform?" Justin asked with a grin. That surprised him.

"The building is so traditional. I want the inside to speak new and modern and cutting edge."

"I seem to remember you saying something about cutting edge before," Justin replied with a smile.

"I can't wait to get started," Brian said enthusiastically.

Justin knew he had never seen Brian so excited about something before. This would be Brian's business, reflecting Brian's taste and speaking of Brian's success. It would have a part of Justin too, but mostly it would be Brian's. Justin thought these things, but he didn't say anything. He knew Brian would only deny them and pretend to be all blasé. Justin merely enjoyed this rare moment of candor. It wasn't often that anyone saw the uncensored Brian Kinney.

"I want to start right now," Brian stated.

"Furniture first," Justin told him.

"When did you become so practical?"

"When I hitched my wagon to your star," Justin said softly.

Brian stared into his eyes. Justin could see the love and trust that resided there. Brian pulled him against his body and kissed him deeply and completely.

"Ahem," Nate said clearing his throat when he came into the room in the middle of the kiss.

"It's not like you haven't seen this before," Brian smirked.

"Not in a place of business."

"Stop by any time and we'll give you a show," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"Brian!" Justin chastised his partner with a swat to the chest.

"We have several more rooms to christen," Brian whispered in his ear.

"Later," Justin grinned.

"Nate, do you think you can make that desk that I talked to you about?" Brian asked.

"Already started. It will fit the foyer perfectly."

"And if we don't find the other desk I want, I may ask you to make one more."

"No problem," Nate smiled.

"I can't wait to see everything come together," Justin said happily.

"If we find furniture today, can I have it delivered on Thursday?" Brian asked Nate.

"That would work, and we'll help you set it up."

"Deal!" Brian said shaking Nate's hand.

"Let's go, Sunshine. We have places to go and furniture to buy." He took Justin's hand in his and they walked out of the offices of 4Front.


Chapter 32 - Celebration by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss



Celebration

"Sunshine!" Brian called as he slammed the phone down on the base. "Come and kiss your brilliant partner."

"Brilliant, huh? When did that happen?" Justin asked sticking his tongue in his cheek and trying to look like Brian so often did.

"It happened a minute ago when Remsen confirmed that 4Front has the advertising contract for his new drug."

"He did? Oh fuck, that's great, Brian!" Justin threw himself against Brian reaching up to capture the smiling lips of Brian Kinney.

"I think we should crack open that bottle of champagne that we have in the fridge."

"Um…"

"Um, what? Don't you want to celebrate?"

"I was thinking that maybe we should take it into 4Front tomorrow when the furniture arrives. Ted and Cynthia and Nate will be there. We could all celebrate together."

Brian pushed Justin far enough away to look into the blue eyes. "You are something," he said with a glare.

"Something good … or something bad?" Justin asked hesitantly.

"Something … the best!"

"You mean it?" Justin asked with one of his radiant smiles.

"You always remind me that I'm not alone. It's fitting that we all should celebrate together."

"I'm glad you agree."

Brian stared into the trusting blue eyes. He wished he could look at the world the way Justin did. He didn't think he ever had Justin's kind of innocence and trust. But then growing up with Jack and Joan would kick that out of you in a hurry. Justin still managed to keep those traits in spite of the bashing, and in spite of everything that had happened between them. He had almost made Justin lose it ... during the whole Trip Bedford fiasco, but somehow the young man still held onto his beliefs. He truly was someone very special.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Justin asked after a moment.

"Maybe I like what I see."

"You do?" Justin smiled.

"I said maybe."

"Oh?" Justin's face fell.

"I like totally do," Brian stated taking back his condition to the previous statement. He did his best to sound like a fucking valley girl.

Justin smiled again, and laughed at Brian's lame attempt at … whatever the fuck he was attempting.

"If we're not having the champagne, we'll have to celebrate some other way," Brian said with a glint in his eye.

"We do, huh? We could just wait until tomorrow."

"Un unh."

"No?"

"Nope," Brian said.

"Then what can we do?"

"There are other ways to celebrate than with alcohol?"

"There are?" Justin feigned wide eyed innocence.

"Yep."

"Could you enlighten me?" Justin baited him.

"That could be arranged," Brian smirked. "You're usually a fairly receptive student."

Justin snorted. "I seem to be 'receptive' all the time."

Brian had to laugh at that. "And thank the gods you are."

"Yeah, you should be very thankful."

"I am, I am," Brian said. "Would you like to try a little reception right now?"

"Is that your idea of celebrating?"

"One of them."

"Well, mine would involve you receiving a little reception."

"Is that even a sentence?" Brian asked with his patented smirk.

"You know what I mean."

"True, but I'm not sure that's the kind of celebration I was up for."

"You'll be up all right if you agree," Justin declared, a sexy grin on his face.

"Is that so?"

"Guaranteed," Justin said with a bat of his baby blues. It sounded like Brian wasn't dismissing the idea completely. It had been a while since Justin had topped, and he was thinking more and more that that was just exactly what he wanted to do.

Brian stared into the blue eyes. "Let's go."

"Huh?"

"I said that you could have your celebration."

"You mean it?"

"Do I ever lie to you?"

"No, but you've been known to torment me," Justin said seriously.

"Keep this up and I'll change my mind."

"No, no, don't do that," Justin said hastily. He took Brian's hand and started pulling him towards the stairs.

"Don't I get some preliminaries?"

"Like what?" Justin asked in surprise.

"I don't know - sweet words and smooches."

Justin snorted. "Smooches? Since when do you want smooches?" he asked in disbelief.

Brian shrugged and didn't say anything, just used that silly little grin that made him look so adorable.

Justin leaned into Brian placing his mouth next to Brian's ear. He gave the ear a lick and then whispered. "I'm going to fuck your ass off." He kissed Brian's lips making a big smacking sound. "And you're going to fucking love it."

"Perfect foreplay," Brian laughed. "Got me right in the mood." This time he grabbed Justin's hand and they hastily made their way up the stairs to their bedroom.

Once through the door Justin shoved Brian against the wall. Brian landed with a whoosh of air being expelled and then looked at Justin with raised eyebrows.

"Hey!" he said.

"What? I want you, so take off those clothes." Justin tried to maintain a severe demeanor. He knew Brian could stop him at any moment but he was going to enjoy this as far as Brian let him go.

Brian obediently started to pull his wifebeater over his head.

"Hurry up," Justin urged as he got rid of his own clothes.

Brian kicked off his jeans and straightened up to find his arms full of Justin and his mouth being ravished by hungry, demanding lips. Justin turned him around and backed him towards the bed, kissing and groping all the way there. When the back of Brian's legs touched the edge of the bed, Justin continued his forward momentum, tumbling his partner onto his back and falling on top of him. He felt the air being driven from Brian's lungs as he landed on top of him. Then Justin continued his onslaught of kisses rubbing his naked dick against Brian's groin.

"Sunshine," Brian whispered as his eyes clouded over with lust.

"Not Sunshine," Justin corrected him. "Top cat," he said with a feral grin or the closest thing that he could muster on his boyish face.

"Top cat, huh?" Brian chuckled.

"Don't laugh. I'm going to make you eat that laugh," Justin threatened as he took a nip out of Brian's pec.

"Ahh!" Brian gasped, before he asked, "How does one eat a laugh?"

"One shouldn't laugh in the first place."

"I see."

"Not clearly enough," Justin stated as he continued his nips all the way down Brian's chest and stomach, stopping to smell the pubes and then lick along Brian's straining cock. "I think you might be ready," he whispered as he rose up enough to look into Brian's eyes. Brian nodded. "Roll over," Justin ordered.

Brian did as he was told. Justin licked along the crack of Brian's ass kneading the firm cheeks. His tongue lingered and danced around Brian's hole. Suddenly he stiffened his tongue and probed the pucker. Brian let out a whimper and looked back over his shoulder. The sight of Justin's pink tongue disappearing into his ass almost made him come on the spot. He let out an almighty groan.

Justin continued his activities working his tongue deeper and deeper until Brian had to cry out, "Justin, please."

"Please what?" Justin asked with a grin.

"I … need you."

"I know."

Justin pulled Brian up so that he was slightly on his knees. He grabbed a pillow and stuffed it under Brian's groin. With a nip to Brian's neck Justin lubed his dick and squirted some lube into Brian's quivering hole. He stuck in a finger eliciting a moan from Brian. When he added a second one he felt Brian push back. He was ready. As gently as possible, Justin eased his cock inside Brian. He did it slowly with kisses to Brian's shoulders and nips to his neck. He knew Brian wasn't used to this and he wanted it to be pleasurable for his partner. Brian groaned and took Justin inside gradually.

Brian had felt that initial pain as Justin's thick dick forced its way inside him. He couldn't help but groan. There was always pain since he did this so infrequently. He felt Justin's gentle kisses and nips and knew he was being handled with kid gloves. No, that wasn't quite right. He was being handled with love. Brian smiled to himself as the pain eased. He felt Justin edging in further and further. He bucked back slightly to let Justin know it was all right, that he could get on with the good part.

Justin grinned as he felt Brian push back against him taking more of his cock inside. He loved being inside his partner. It was something that he didn't get to do very often, but he appreciated it so much when Brian was in the mood for it. He thrust once more and felt his dick fully wedged inside Brian. He stopped for a moment to savor the feeling, the tightness, the heat, the joy he felt at knowing Brian loved him enough to do this. Brian never did this with anybody else as far as he knew. In fact, Brian didn't do anything like this with anybody else, now. Justin's grin broadened as he started to thrust in earnest.

"Justin," Brian gasped as he felt his hips pulled up and the breath knocked out of him as Justin went even deeper.

"I'm here, Brian. I love you."

"Back atcha," Brian managed to get out as Justin's hand found his dick. Brian knew he was close, and he buried his face in the pillow as he grabbed the sheets and hung on. He didn't want to scream Justin's name like some inexperienced prick.

Justin drove harder and deeper seeking to weld their bodies into one. If he could crawl inside Brian, he would gladly do so. Then they would never be separated.

It wasn't long till Justin felt the first tinglings of orgasm. He tugged on Brian's dick more forcefully wanting them to fall over the edge together. Sweet oblivion was what they would achieve if he could time it right.

Brian felt Justin speed up and he knew he was going to have to come soon. He held back as long as he could, waiting for Justin. Finally he let out a cry and came so hard everything went black. His ass spasmed around Justin and he felt himself filled with Justin's warm cum, before he fell against the bed and tried to merely breathe.

"Brian," Justin whispered as he pulled out.

Brian groaned and suddenly felt so empty. He rolled to the side enough to look at his partner. Justin was covered in a sheen of sweat. He looked radiant. "Proud of yourself, are you?" Brian asked with that smirk.

"Only if you're proud of me," Justin replied as he felt his breathing drop down to a rate somewhere close to normal.

"I'd say you were masterful."

"Would you?" Justin asked, his face beyond radiant and the smile threatening to split his face in two.

"That was some celebration. I need a cigarette," Brian said sticking his tongue in his cheek.

Justin rolled over and captured the smirk in a big fat kiss. "I love you. I mean it."

"I love you too, Justin, but…"

"But what?" The look of complete happiness and satisfaction instantly disappeared from Justin's face at Brian's words.

"I didn't mean to scare you. It's nothing that bad," Brian said trying to reassure his partner. "I'm just wondering how it's going to work out when we spend all day at 4Front and then come home to spend the rest of our time together. We may get sick of each other."

"I'll never get sick of you," Justin promised laying his head on Brian's chest, "especially when you let me … you know…" Justin grinned.

"Well, don't get too used to that," Brian admonished but he kissed Justin softly to take the sting out of his words. "I really am serious about the hazards of spending so much time together."

"Hazards?" Justin frowned. "I don't think we'll even spend that much time together. I'll be up in my little kingdom of the art department and you'll be out with the movers and shakers."

"Kingdom? You're planning a kingdom on the second floor of 4Front?"

"Of course. I'll be the master of my domain," Justin giggled.

"You are such a … kid," Brian laughed.

"And that's why you love me. I keep you young and on your toes."

"Hey, no age comments," Brian protested.

"You're the one who brought it up."

"Well, let's move on to more important things. I need to top to restore the equilibrium in this relationship."

"Is that right?" Justin asked. He smiled to himself. There was a time that comment would have made him mad. But now, he knew it was Brian's way of saying that Justin had really gotten to him. Brian needed to be the top, before he decided he might like to bottom more often. "I'm ready if you are," Justin said.

Brian didn't bother to reply. He rolled on top of Justin and proceeded to demonstrate his own masterful art of topping.

*****

Thursday morning Justin and Brian arrived at 4Front mid morning. Brian carried a bag that he kept as inconspicuous as possible beside his leg.

Nate met them at the door. He already had some of the new furniture uncrated, but what both Brian and Justin noticed immediately upon entering the building was the new desk that Nate had built for the foyer. Cynthia was sitting behind it looking very smug.

"Haven't you got better things to do than sit on your ass?" Brian demanded of her with a smirk.

"I'm just scoping out my domain," she replied sweetly.

"Christ, another one with a domain. I think I have too many generals and not enough soldiers," Brian groused.

"You chose very capable people who know their own worth," Cynthia retorted.

"Where's Theodore when you need him?" Brian asked.

"Right here, Boss," Ted said coming down the stairs. "I was scoping out the accounting department. I love my new office. I shall have my domain up and running anon."

Brian groaned. "Another fucking domain!"

Justin and Cynthia laughed. Ted looked bewildered.

"Hey, Brian," Nate said as he came into the foyer from Brian's office. I almost got your office furniture set up. Very good choice! You need to tell me where you want everything positioned."

"Finally, someone who understands that he works for me," Brian said trying to look put upon. He followed Nate back into the office and all the others followed. They looked at the new furniture that Nate had laid out around the office. The desk looked great in front of the window. The hardwood floors gleamed under the new chairs and sofa. The office reflected its owner.

Brian smiled. "Not bad, Nathaniel," he said. "That's pretty damn close to the way I want it arranged."

Nate glowed with pride. "I try to know my customers well."

"I'd say you succeeded," Justin smiled.

"I was going to do the art department next," Nate stated. "Want to give me a hand?"

Brian nodded. "I'll stick this in the fridge and be right up."

He headed to the kitchen as Ted asked," What was in the bag?"

"When we have everything ready for business," Justin said, "Brian will explain."

They all made their way upstairs and started assembling and placing the furniture for 4Front's art department. When that was done, they moved over to Ted's office and then downstairs to put the finishing touches on Cynthia's area in the foyer and finally back to Brian's office.

When everything was as it should be, Justin told them to wait in Brian's office. He and Brian went to the kitchen to get the bag Brian had carried in.

"Gentlemen … and lady," Brian said coming into his office from the kitchen a few minutes later. "I want to make a toast to our new business." He pulled the bottle of champagne from behind his back, and Justin appeared with five glasses that they had brought in the bag from home.

"Champagne," Cynthia smiled. "Yum!"

"Wish I could have some," Ted said sadly.

"Non-alcoholic cider," Justin said holding up a small bottle that they had picked up on the way to 4Front.

Ted smiled broadly. "Thanks, that was great of you guys to remember."

Brian uncorked the bottle with a loud pop and they all laughed. Justin held the glasses while Brian poured. He handed each glass to one of the others until they each held a glass to drink from. Ted had his special glass.

"To success for the new 4Front," Brian said raising his glass. Everyone did the same. "May we experience growth and success." They all took a sip.

"Shouldn't you have carried Justin over the threshold or broken the bottle over the entranceway … or something?" Ted asked with a chuckle.

"Why would we waste perfectly good champagne?" Justin asked.

"Be careful, Schmidt, or I'll break this bottle over your head," Brian informed his hapless accountant with a death glare. Then his face softened and he said, "I think this is a better way to celebrate."

"Right, Boss, sure, okay, no problem."

"To Nate, and all the hard work that has gone into turning this old house into a modern business," Cynthia said, deflecting attention from Ted's little faux pas. They all took a sip. "I love my desk," she added with a little giggle.

"Hey, don't get tipsy, missy. We have work to do," Brian admonished with a twinkle in his eye.

"Screw you; it's good champagne," she laughed.

"I propose a toast to Brian Kinney," Ted stated solemnly. He was hoping to redeem himself. Besides, he meant what he was about to say. "To our friend, our boss, and one helluva businessman, who will make 4Front a force to be reckoned with."

Brian almost blushed. That was sweet of Ted. He watched everyone take another sip of their champagne.

"Save some, I have another toast," Brian said deflecting attention from himself.

"I really thank you for this opportunity," Ted repeated, not ready to stop yet.

"Right, Theodore. Now don't get fucking maudlin on me."

"Never, Boss, never," Ted said smiling and shaking his head.

"I have a toast too," Justin said.

Brian groaned inwardly. He didn't want any public declarations of love and devotion. Ted's thanks had been enough as far as gratitude was concerned. "Must you?" Brian asked his partner.

"I must," Justin replied giving Brian a glare.

Brian steeled himself for what was to come.

"Go ahead, Justin," Nate said.

"I want to propose a toast to Algernon, who after all these years has finally found the peace he deserves," Justin said seriously.

"Definitely!" Nate replied as he took a sip from his glass.

"To Algernon," the rest said raising their glasses and then taking a drink.

"Good one," Brian said with a smile for Justin. Justin smiled back. He was happy Brian approved. "I have one more piece of news," Brian began. "I will now be able to pay Nate and all your salaries," he continued with his tongue in cheek. Everyone looked slightly stunned, except Justin. "We got Remsen Pharmaceuticals! So, down the rest of your drinks and let's get to work."

Everyone cheered, shook Brian's hand or slapped him on the back, with Cynthia giving him an unexpected peck on the cheek. Then they all drained their glasses as Brian had indicated. Afterwards, the first day of work at 4Front began in earnest.

Chapter 33 - Almost Too Good by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Almost Too Good

"Brian," Justin said as he ventured into Brian's new office. They had been in the remodeled 4Front building for a week. Things were going well. In fact, they might be going just a little too well. "Brian?" Justin repeated as he walked further into the office. There was no answer.

Brian's big executive chair was turned to face the windows. Justin had thought Brian was in the office but there was no sign of him. Maybe he had gone up to Ted's office or out into the kitchen. Justin turned away and started to walk out of the office to look for Brian elsewhere. He was almost at the door when he heard that distinctive wheeze that meant Brian was nearby … and Brian was sleeping.

Justin tiptoed back into the office and around the big desk. He peered around the edge of the chair and sure enough, Brian was sound asleep. His feet were propped up on the window ledge and his head rested against the back of the chair. His mouth was slightly open. That was when the next wheeze emanated from Brian. Justin smiled as he stood looking at his sleeping partner.

The first week of business had been very hectic. Remsen Pharmaceuticals signing with them had been a major coup, but one account wasn't nearly enough to sustain the company and pay them all the salaries that would allow them to live in the style to which they would like to become accustomed. As a result, Brian had been scrambling all week. He had arranged nonstop meetings with clients both old and new. He had managed to sign two more lucrative accounts plus four smaller ones. Not bad for a week's work. But it was no wonder that the advertising mogul was exhausted.

Justin debated what to do. He could wake Brian up and suffer the wrath of a cranky Kinney. He could let Brian sleep and suffer the wrath of a well rested, but very cranky Kinney, who would not approve of being allowed to sleep in his office. He could do nothing and pretend that he never found Brian asleep, waiting until Brian woke up of his own accord. But that would have the same outcome as the previous option when Brian realized that it was way past quitting time. That was why Justin had come into the office in the first place. He had been going to suggest that they close up a few minutes early and go pick up Gus who was going to spend the weekend with them. It looked like Justin was going to have to deal with a cranky Kinney no matter what he did. And that did not bode well for their weekend with Gus.

Justin stood waffling in front of Brian's chair. As he was about to creep quietly out of the office, and suffer the consequences of letting Brian sleep on, a quiet voice scared the shit out of him.

"It's not like you to be indecisive, Sunshine?" Brian said stifling a yawn.

Justin jumped. "I didn't know whether to wake you up."

"I wasn't asleep," Brian stated.

"Oh, yes you were."

"I don't intend to argue with you, but I was not asleep."

"I heard the wheeze," Justin replied emphatically.

"I was not asleep and I most assuredly do not wheeze."

"I beg to differ, but I don't want to fight. So, okay, you weren't asleep." Justin wanted a happy weekend with Gus, so giving in was definitely the route to take. Besides, whether Brian was asleep or not was hardly worth fighting about.

"I was power napping," Brian said smugly.

"And that's not the same as sleeping?" Justin asked with a frown. There were still times that the great god Kinney was hard to fathom, and even more times that the mortal known as Brian Kinney was even harder to figure out.

"Not at all," Brian replied stretching luxuriously.

"Care to explain that one?"

"Power naps are shallow sleeps that allow you to refresh yourself without the necessity of wasting lengthy amounts of time. Studies have shown that twenty minutes of sleep in the afternoon provides more rest than twenty minutes more sleep in the morning."

"When did you become such an expert on afternoon naps?" Justin asked with a giggle. "And thanks for the public service announcement, by the way."

Brian made a face. He did sound like Justin, he admitted to himself. "I guess I've been hanging around you too much."

"You can't have been hanging around me too much. No such thing as too much," Justin declared adamantly.

That drew a smile from Brian. "Of course," he agreed. "I just know that getting up at five, working for twelve hours and trying to have some kind of life away from here isn't as easy as it used to be." Brian's forehead wrinkled at the realization.

"You never had the total responsibility before," Justin said gently. "You have to make this company a success, not only for yourself, but for Ted and Cynthia and me; we're all depending on you."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?" Brian groaned.

"No," Justin said sliding onto Brian's knee. "It's just supposed to make it all right for you to sleep in the afternoon."

"Power nap," Brian corrected.

"Power nap," Justin sighed before giving Brian a gentle kiss. "We all know how hard you're working."

"And my staff better be doing the same," Brian declared.

Justin knew that was his cue to cut the gentle commiseration. Brian had had enough of the 'Oh Brian, you're so great and you work so hard' routine. Justin bounced gently in Brian's lap feeling the desired response.

"What are you doing, Sunshine?" Brian asked with his knowing smirk. "This is a place of business."

"I'm getting down to business," Justin said, before he captured Brian's lips in a mind blowing kiss that went on and on.

"Maybe we should lock the door," Brian suggested when Justin's lips finally released his, allowing him to speak.

"You were never interested in locked doors before."

"It was never my business before."

Justin looked into Brian's eyes. "I want you."

"I want you too, so lock the fucking door."

"Yes, Boss," Justin giggled. He walked over to the door. "Have a good weekend, Cynthia. Tell Ted the same."

"Thanks, Justin," Cynthia called, before Justin closed and locked the door to Brian's office.

"Nice work, Sunshine," Brian chuckled.

"I'm aiming for Employee of the Month." Justin gave Brian one of his sunshine smiles.

"You're well on your way," Brian moaned as Justin walked into his arms and bumped his groin against Brian's.

"I don't think we've christened your new desk," Justin stated, looking at the pristine surface of the big desk. Brian always had a clear, neatly organized desk.

"How can we allow such an oversight to continue?"

"We can't."

"Then let's get this untenable situation corrected right now."

Justin grabbed Brian's tie and pulled it to loosen it. Brian yanked off Justin's shirt, as Justin removed Brian's suit jacket and started on the buttons of the shirt beneath. As soon as a nipple was revealed, Justin latched on bringing an appreciative moan from his partner.

Brian's hand snaked down and unzipped Justin's pants. He grasped the throbbing member and gave it a tug. Justin moaned into the kiss they were sharing. In a flash they were both naked and Justin felt himself being pushed backwards onto the desk. He propped himself up on his elbows as he watched Brian open the right hand drawer of the desk and pull out a tube of lube.

"Always prepared, I see," Justin grinned.

"And aren't you glad that I am?" Brian snarked.

"I'd take you any way that I can get you."

"You're such a slut."

"Your slut," Justin laughed as Brian prepared both of them.

Brian raised Justin's legs to his shoulders exposing the twitching ring of Justin's anus. With a forceful thrust Brian breached the opening, pausing only long enough to see that Justin wasn't in great discomfort. When Justin pushed back, Brian started to thrust already feeling the heat that their coupling always caused to start coursing throughout his body.

Justin felt Brian drive in to the hilt. He gasped as all the air was driven from his lungs by Brian's action. Brian leaned in and captured Justin's lips in a kiss. When Brian tried to draw back, Justin felt his legs lock around Brian's shoulders, holding him still. This was always the best time, when they were so close, when there was barely any space between them, when they were one. Justin wished he could crawl into his lover's body and never leave. If only that were possible…

Brian stayed still as long as he could. He knew Justin longed for this closeness that they were experiencing. He longed for it too … sometimes. It was something he never thought he would crave, but he found more and more that the act of sex itself had become something more than he could ever imagine. As long as it was with Justin Taylor.

Finally he needed to thrust; there was no other alternative.

"I love you, Sunshine," he whispered as he started his pistoning motion that would bring them both to fruition.

"I love you too. I have since the first night I met you."

"And all the vagaries in between?" Brian asked with a gasp, as he felt the tinglings of orgasm creeping through his body.

"Including all the stupid things I did. And you pushing me away."

"And all the ghosts and goblins that have inhabited our relationship since the outset," Brian managed to get out between thrusts.

"Hey, leave Algernon out of this," Justin ordered.

Brian began fisting Justin's cock knowing that his orgasm was coming soon. He drove in hard and fast, letting out as quiet a roar as he could manage when his orgasm flooded over him. He felt his spunk fill Justin and seep out around his dick.

Justin felt his own orgasm take him to that special place that only Brian had ever taken him. He slid back onto the desk as the waves of pleasure rolled over him. He felt Brian's heat fill his insides, and then Brian was lying atop him.

"Algernon would have been proud of that one," Brian chuckled as he got his breath back to some semblance of normal.

"I'm pretty proud of that one too," Justin giggled.

Brian pushed himself up off Justin and collapsed into his big chair. Sitting there nude with a self satisfied look on his face made Justin feel all warm inside. Brian looked so happy.

"We're going to be great in business … and everything else."

"Until the next time I screw up," Brian said with a wry smile.

"Does there have to be a next time?" Justin asked cleaning himself off with the tissue Brian handed him from the box on his desk.

"Seems like there always is."

"But we're happy. I'm happy. You're happy … aren't you?" Justin asked.

"Yeah," Brian admitted, "but that usually means something terrible is about to happen."

"No it doesn't!" Justin replied emphatically. "You have to stop thinking like that."

"I do, do I?" Brian asked with an amused grin.

"We're fine. The company's off to a great start. What could possibly go wrong?"

"Shit!" Brian reacted, as he started picking up his clothes.

"What? What's the matter?" Justin wanted to know. He slid off the desk and started gathering up his own clothes.

"We're supposed to pick up Gus in three minutes."

"It can't be that late."

"It fucking can be. Look at the clock."

"But where did the time go?" Justin asked, as he slid his pants on and tried to smooth out his shirt.

"It went the same place that your vaunted happiness is going to go," Brian stated as he quickly climbed into his suit. "It evaporated."

"Fuck!" Justin reacted. And everything had been going so well.

*****

"Dada!" Gus cried as he opened the front door of the house and ran out to Brian.

"Hey, Sonny Boy," Brian responded, picking up the excited six year old. "Were you waiting for me?"

"Yes, Daddy," Gus replied politely.

"Daddy?" Brian asked. Gus had always called him Dada, and he quite liked that.

"Yes, Daddy. The kids at school say it's baby talk to call you Dada."

"They do, do they!" Gus nodded his head emphatically. "Well, you wouldn't want to be called a baby."

"No, Daddy."

"Where the fuck have you been, asshole?" Melanie demanded as she came out the front door.

"Hello to you too," Brian responded with a glare. He hated when Melanie talked like that in front of Gus, but there wasn't much he could do about it. If he made an issue of it, the result would be a shouting match between him and Mel. Gus didn't need to witness that.

"We were held up," Justin said to fill the pregnant pause. "We got here as quickly as we could."

"Yeah, right!" Melanie scoffed. She obviously didn't believe that at all. "You were probably…"

"What we were doing is none of your business," Brian stated through clenched teeth. "If Gus is ready, we're going."

"I'll get his bag," Justin offered. It was usually all packed and waiting inside the front door.

"Did you bring your swim suit?" Brian asked Gus.

"It's too cold to swim," Melanie replied.

"I shoved it in the bag," Gus whispered into his father's ear.

Brian smiled one of his serene best. There was nothing he liked better than collaborating with his son to sabotage Melanie, especially when it was about something so trivial. "Of course it is," he said to Melanie, pretending to agree with her.

"What did you say, Gus?" Melanie demanded.

"Nothing," Gus replied quickly.

"You did say something. What was it?" Melanie asked, like a dog with a bone.

"Got Gus' bag," Justin interjected as he came back from the house. "Let's get this show on the road.

"Gotta go," Brian said. He strapped Gus into Justin's Jeep.

"I want to know what Gus said," Melanie continued.

"See ya," Brian called as he spun the tires and they rocketed away from the Munchers' house.

"Yay! Daddy, go fast," Gus ordered from the back seat.

Brian immediately slowed down regretting his harsh and hasty actions. He always intended to set a good example for Gus, and he hadn't yelled at Melanie. However, his best intentions were soon forgotten when Melanie and her acid tongue started in on him. He hated that she was criticizing the way he handled Gus. Thank God he had a couple of days with just Gus, himself and Justin. Maybe they could carry on a normal conversation without the huge impulse to strangle someone.

"Faster, Daddy," Gus urged him.

"No, Gus," Brian said seriously. "I shouldn't have screeched the tires like that. I was being inconsiderate."

"But I liked it, Daddy. I'm going to tell the boys at school that we went really fast in Justin's car."

Brian groaned.

"It might be a good idea, Gus, if you kept this between the three of us," Justin suggested.

Gus frowned. He wanted to brag to the other boys. They were always bragging about things they did with their fathers. He never got much opportunity for bragging, living with his mothers and only seeing his father occasionally. He decided to keep his mouth shut and not argue with Justin. He could brag at school if he wanted to. His father and Justin would never find out.

Soon they arrived at the house. Gus loved his Daddy's house. It was sleek and modern and had the best TV and stereo equipment. And it had a pool.

"Swim?" Gus asked as his father gathered his bag from the car and the three of them walked up to the front door.

"We left the heater on in the pool, so I think we should be fine for a swim," Justin told the boy.

"Yay!"

"Maybe we shouldn't," Brian said as Gus ran upstairs with his bag. He loved his room in his father's house.

"Fuck Melanie and the planet she thinks she rules," Justin declared.

"Whoa!" Brian laughed. "Where did that come from?"

"I hate the way she talks to you in front of Gus. I don't care if she doesn't like you, but she doesn't have to call you names in front of your son."

Brian smiled. "Thank you for feeling that way. It pisses me off too, but I don't want to get into a shouting match with her in front of Gus."

"Sometimes I think you need to. It might shut her up."

"We should be so lucky."

"Daddy!" Gus shouted, as he ran down the stairs. He'd got his swimsuit on already. "I'm ready," he declared. "Why aren't you?"

Brian and Justin looked at each other and laughed.

"I guess we better get a move on, Sunshine. Someone's way ahead of us," Brian said.

"Gus, there's some juice boxes in the fridge," Justin explained. "Go get one for yourself, but stay in the house until we come down."

"Okay," Gus replied before running out to the kitchen to get his juice.

Brian and Justin headed up to their bedroom to find their swimsuits. The three of them spent almost an hour swimming and splashing in the pool. Gus was turning into an accomplished swimmer under Brian and Justin's tutelage. Brian spent part of the time teaching the boy to dive. Justin treaded water as he watched Brian instruct Gus. He loved these family times that they had with the little boy. He only wished there could be more of them.

"Come on, Sonny Boy," Brian called to Gus when he came up from a very nice dive off the side of the pool. "It's time we got out. We need some dinner."

"Pizza!" Gus and Justin yelled together.

It had become a Friday night tradition that they have pizza after their swim. Brian rolled his eyes as he knew he was expected to. Truth was he had quite grown to like this little tradition of Friday pizza that they had developed.

"Here's your towel, Gus," Brian said as Gus climbed out of the pool.

Gus grabbed the towel and wrapped it around himself. His teeth were chattering in the rather cool, early fall air.

"Let's get inside," Justin said quickly. He was shivering too, once he was out of the warm water.

"He better not get sick," Brian said as he closed the patio door behind them.

"Go get Gus into some warm clothes and I'll order the pizza. He'll be fine."

"He better be or I'm a dead man."

Gus was soon dried and wrapped in his sweat suit. He and his Father and Justin sat on the rug in the family room and ate pizza. They watched a Spiderman DVD that Gus had really wanted to see. There was lots of oohing and aahing over the special effects. Gus got a little silly when there was that infamous upside down kiss. They giggled and talked and enjoyed being together. By the time the movie was over Gus was yawning. It was well past his usual bedtime.

"I think we better get you to bed, young man," Brian told his son, but he was looking at Justin. They both laughed.

"Can't I stay up just a little longer?" Gus begged with a big yawn.

"Nope," Brian told him. "We're going to the zoo tomorrow, so you need your rest."

"Can we see the tigers?"

"Yep."

"And elephants?"

"Yep."

"And giraffes?"

"Yep. You can see whatever you want," Brian promised.

Gus weighed his options. He wanted to go to the zoo much more than he wanted to stay up. Although, it would have been nice to do both. "Okay, I'll go to bed," he finally agreed. He really wanted to go to the zoo tomorrow with his father and Justin.

"Let's go, Sonny Boy," Brian said. "I'll even spring for a story."

"Yay," Gus cried as he headed for the stairs.

"Meet you in the bedroom," Justin said as he followed them upstairs.

When Brian appeared at the bedroom door about ten minutes later, he found Justin propped up in bed sketching. Justin immediately put the sketchpad down and smiled up at Brian. "Care to join me?" he asked.

"I wish I could," Brian said slowly.

"Why can't you?" Justin asked with a frown.

"I have about three hours of work to do on the Donovan Cleaners account."

"Can't that wait until tomorrow?"

"I really want to get it done. I've got a few good ideas for it. I want to be able to spend time with Gus tomorrow, and have a clear conscience while I'm doing it."

"Then I guess you better get started. Can I help you with anything?"

"Probably, but you don't have to," Brian conceded.

"I want to. I don't want to be accused of shirking."

"Shit! You still think about that?" Brian asked.

"That was one of the worst things a boss could have said to me," Justin admitted. "It really made me feel like I was worthless."

"You're never worthless. Never have been, never will be. You're worth everything … to me and to Gus and your mother and…"

"Okay, okay," Justin laughed. "I get it. I'm invaluable. But I still want to help you."

"Then let's get started."

They spent the next several hours working on the campaign. The ideas that Brian threw out Justin turned into graphics. When they fell into bed at two a.m., they were both exhausted but they had a great campaign all worked out.

"Night, Sunshine," Brian said and rolled over.

Justin didn't reply. He was already asleep.

*****

The following day went by in a whirlwind. The zoo was great. The animals were wonderful. Gus had a blast, and Brian and Justin even enjoyed themselves. The most fun part was seeing Gus' reaction to all the animals. It made the day very worthwhile.

When they returned home late in the afternoon, they had a quick swim while potatoes were baking on the barbecue. Brian was going to grill steaks for them all, once they got out of the water. Once again Gus was shivering and his lips were a little blue by the time they got him into some clean sweat pants. Justin threw Gus' clothes from Friday and from the zoo into the washing machine. Brian never liked taking dirty clothes back to the Munchers when they returned Gus home. He thought that would be one more thing that Melanie could hold against him.

After Brian finished barbecuing the steaks, they ate at the kitchen table. Gus seemed fine now that he was warm and dry. He didn't seem to have had any ill effects from the swimming the day before, so they thought he would be fine. He seemed to have a good appetite as he polished off a baked potato and most of his steak along with a helping of salad.

They watched a little TV and then Gus went to bed. This time he didn't fight it. He knew he was supposed to be home the following afternoon but that would give him quite a bit more time to play with his father and Justin the following day. He was out like a light as soon as his head hit the pillow.

"Want to hit the sack too?" Justin asked with a Brian-like waggle of his eyebrows.

"I'd like to, but I should do some more work," Brian said with a grimace.

"Oh, come on, Brian. You deserve some time to yourself."

"As you reminded me yesterday, I have the responsibility for making this company work, and there are three of you that are depending on me."

Justin sighed. He knew Brian always took work seriously, but this was getting to be too much. It was seriously cutting into their time for fucking. "I'll give you a hand," Justin said slowly. He might as well be with Brian working, as in bed alone.

This time it was even later when they fell into bed. They were both exhausted. Between the fresh air at the zoo and playing with Gus and swimming, they were too tired to do anything in bed except sleep.

*****

"Daddy!"

Brian cracked an eyelid. "Yes, Gus."

"Time to get up."

"No it's not."

"Yes, Daddy."

Brian groaned. "Why don't you go get dressed and let Justin and me sleep a bit longer?"

Gus studied his father. "Okay," he said slowly. He'd give them a few more minutes.

"Good," Brian replied and closed his eyes.

"Daddy!"

"Yes, Gus." This time Brian didn't even bother to open an eye.

"I'm dressed, but I need socks."

"Shit!" Justin muttered. "I forgot to take his clothes out of the dryer."

"Go get a pair from the dryer," Brian told his son.

"He won't know how to do that," Justin groaned.

"I can do it," Gus declared. "I'm a big boy." With that he disappeared from the room.

"Do you think he'll be all right down there?" Justin asked.

"Hmm," was all Brian said as he fell back asleep.

"Daddy!"

"Yes, Gus."

"Get up."

"Did you have success with the socks?"

"Yes, Daddy, I had sock-cess," Gus giggled.

Brian opened his eyes. "That's very good, Sonny Boy," he laughed. "I'll make an adman out of you yet."

"Get up, Daddy. You too, Justin."

"It's almost noon," Brian said looking at the clock. "You must be hungry."

"I am hungry," Gus stated.

"Me too," Justin agreed with a big yawn.

The adults finally got up and Brian cooked them his scrambled eggs and bacon. They had little time to do anything since they had slept in so late. They rescued Gus' clothes from the dryer and packed them in his bag. In short order they arrived back at the Munchers'.

Melanie and Lindsay came out to greet their son and see if he had an enjoyable weekend. He declared that he did, before thanking both Brian and Justin. He gave them each a big hug. They made arrangements for Gus to stay with them again in two weeks time.

As Brian and Justin turned to head back to the car, they heard Gus sneeze.

"Let's get out of here," Brian said quickly. It had been a hard enough weekend. He didn't need more shit from Melanie for allowing Gus to get a cold.

"We really need to slow down," Justin said as Brian quickly pulled away from the house.

"I'm not going that fast," Brian protested.

"I don't mean your driving. I mean that we're burning our candles at both ends. We need to take it easy."

"I don't have time to take it easy. Things are going really well right now. I need to stay on top of things. There'll be time for taking it easy later."

"I want later now," Justin declared. "It's all getting to be a bit too much."

The business was off to a good start. Brian was enjoying his son. Now that Gus had gone home they could have some hot, steamy sex with Justin. That is, if they got some more work done first. Life was good. Maybe it was too good, but he'd worry about that later. Right now he had a lot of good things going and he intended to make the most of them.

Chapter 34 - Shit Fuck by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Shit Fuck

"Shit! Fuck! And God damn!" Brian slammed down the phone receiver onto its base.

"Brian?" Ted asked as he walked into Brian's office amidst the tirade.

"What?" Brian retorted. He didn't want to talk to anyone at the moment.

"What's wrong, Boss?" Ted asked as he ventured into Brian's office amidst the tirade.

"That fucking asshole from Donovan Cleaners hates the ideas that Justin and I worked out for him."

"Can't you redo it?" Ted asked not realizing the minefield that he had stumbled into.

"Of course, I can fucking redo it!" Brian bellowed. "But why should I? The campaign we worked out is great."

"Then what's Donovan's problem?"

"He doesn't like it. He's got his head so far up his fucking ass that he wouldn't recognize the Mona Lisa if it was presented to him on a fucking silver platter. He thinks our ideas are too avant-garde. I wonder who taught him that fucking word."

"Remember that the customer is always right," Ted said trying to be helpful.

"Yeah, even when they're fucking wrong!" Brian griped.

"They often are."

"Ain't that the truth!" Brian shook his head in disbelief at the stupidity of his new client. "What do you want anyway, Schmidt?"

"Um … I came down here to tell you that the check from Dawson's bounced." Ted pulled his head into his neck and stared down at the floor waiting for the explosion.

"Bounced?" Brian practically screamed.

"Yeah," Ted said, continuing to stare at the floor to avoid looking at Brian's angry face.

"How the fuck can you run a business and bounce checks?" Brian demanded to know.

"Maybe that's why he needs you to promote his business. It looks like it's going under if something drastic doesn't happen."

"Just what I fucking needed!" Brian sighed leaning his head back in his chair. Could anything else go wrong? "I bust my ass to get that account and it's fucking worthless."

"I guess you can abandon that one," Ted suggested.

"The work on it's almost done," Brian sighed.

"Oh! Then maybe you should let him have the work and reap the rewards later," Ted dared to tell him.

"I can't afford to wait for rewards later. I need to be paid now."

"I think we can swing it if you let him ride until he can pay. It might be good publicity for 4Front among the business community in Pittsburgh."

"Just the kind of publicity I need. 4Front will take fucking charity cases. They'll be lining up out the door to get a piece of that," Brian said sarcastically.

"I … I didn't mean that we'd broadcast that Dawson can't pay. I meant that if you can turn his company around then we would get great word of mouth about what miracles our advertising company can work," Ted explained.

Brian looked thoughtful for a moment. "All right," he said finally. "We continue with Dawson, but get on the phone and tell him we know what a fucking asshole he is, and we'll be charging interest when he's able to pay."

Ted allowed himself a little smile. That was what he had been hoping Brian would say. "Will do, Boss."

"Any more fucking news like that for me?"

"No, Boss."

"Then get back to work."

"Yes, Boss." Ted beat a hasty retreat.

Brian leaned his head back in the chair and rubbed his eyes. He was fucking tired. He and Justin had been busting their butts, working till all hours of the night. And then Dawson pulls this fucking shit. The joys of owning his own company were beginning to settle in, and they certainly weren't all they had been cracked up to be, all that he'd hoped they'd be. Owning his own ad agency had been a dream for so long. Now that he had it, it couldn't be turning into a nightmare, could it?

"Brian," a familiar voice said.

"Yes, Cynthia."

"I … I need to take a couple of days off."

"What? Now?" Brian asked in disbelief.

"My aunt died. I just got word. She lives in Cleveland. I need to go up there to be with my mother. It was her only sister."

"Of course," Brian agreed with a sigh. "You should go."

"I'll try to set everything up so you'll be okay until I get back."

"Can you teach Schmidt to answer the phone?"

"Of course I can. It's not that hard," Cynthia assured him.

"You obviously haven't tried to teach Theodore something," Brian stated his tongue in his cheek.

"Ted's a very smart man," Cynthia said in defense of her colleague.

"No argument from me," Brian replied raising his hands in a gesture of agreement. "Good luck."

Cynthia frowned and then headed back to her desk. Brian let out a long sigh. What else could possibly go wrong on this lovely day?

"Brian," another familiar voice said.

"What?" Brian replied rather sharply.

"Sorry to bother you," Justin said turning around ready to leave Brian's office.

"Don't go," Brian commanded. "I'm just having a shitty day. I didn't mean to take it out on you."

"You're not going to like this any better," Justin warned.

Brian rubbed his hand across his eyes. He could feel the beginning of a colossal headache. "What is it?" he asked trying to keep his voice steady.

"I just got off the phone with our supplier. Our latest order of art supplies is in Peoria."

"Peoria? What the fuck!"

"Somehow their codes are very similar and the wrong one got punched in."

"How bad is it?"

"I can manage for a couple of days but we're going to start running out of materials after that. We only got a minimal order when we were starting up, and it's almost gone."

"Shit! When will the order get here?"

"Five days."

Brian felt his headache grow. They had to redo Donovan Cleaners for the shithead that owned it and there was a pile of work for Remsen. "Can they expedite?"

"Yeah, but it's almost double the cost," Justin explained.

"Tell them to do it. We'll cover the cost somehow."

"Do … do you think that's a good idea?" Justin asked. He knew that Brian never liked his judgment to be questioned.

"We'll manage," Brian glared, daring Justin to question him.

"Okay, I'll go call them back."

Justin quickly left the office. He had misgivings about this. It would be very costly. He'd minimized their initial order thinking it would save money until they were fully up and running. Now it was going to cost them big time. How could he have been so stupid!

Brian watched Justin walk out of the office. He had tried to remain optimistic about this new turn of events, but it really was a fuck up. The damn supply company that made the fucking mistake should at least split the difference with the expedited rates. He should call them and raise a stink.

He had just started to look up their number on the computer when Cynthia buzzed him.

"It's Lindsay on line one," she said.

"Thanks." He picked up the receiver and hit one. "Hey, what's up?"

"Brian, Gus has strep throat."

"What?" Brian asked in surprise.

"I just brought him back from the doctor. He's on a round of antibiotics."

"Shit!"

"He wanted to talk to you."

"Put him on," Brian instructed. "Hey, Sonny Boy, you not feeling so good?"

"No, Dada. I feel awful," Gus replied, reverting to his old title for his father.

"You take your medicine and get lots of sleep. You'll be good as new in a few days."

"Yes, Daddy."

"I love you, Gus."

"I love you too. Can you come see me?"

Brian rubbed his eyes. "I'm very busy right now," he tried to explain.

"After dinner?" Gus said hopefully.

"I don't know, Gus."

"Please," the boy wheedled.

Brian knew Gus must be feeling really awful if he was whining. He usually didn't do that, knowing that his father didn't appreciate him acting like that. "I'll see what I can do," Brian said slowly.

"I love you, Dada."

"I'll see you soon."

"Mama wants to talk to you."

"Okay, Gus. Bye." Brian waited to hear what Melanie had to say to him.

"Asshole, what did you do with Gus on the weekend to make him so sick? Don't you have an ounce of common sense where your son is concerned? How could you be so negligent to let him get sick?" Melanie ranted.

"I didn't…"

"Oh, don't you fucking try to get out of the responsibility. Gus came home from your place sneezing, and then he got a fever, and then this horrible sore throat. It's all your fault."

"Fine," Brian said. "It's my fault." Then he slammed the receiver back on the base.

He leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. Could there possibly be anything else that could go wrong?

"Brian."

"What?" He refused to open his eyes. If it was more crap, he didn't want to hear about it.

"There's someone here to see you," Cynthia said.

"Who?"

"It's me, you big goof," Michael's cheery voice came across the room.

"Mikey, what the fuck do you want?" Brian said finally opening his eyes.

"A warm greeting would be a good start."

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to visit you."

"Shouldn't you be working?"

"It's almost six. The workday is done."

"For some of us," Brian sighed.

"Come to the diner and let's have dinner together."

"I can't."

"Why not? I never see you anymore," Michael said trying not to whine. He hadn't seen his best friend since they had all helped with painting the old mansion. Brian never bothered to call him.

"I'm trying to start a new business, Mikey. I don't have time for dinner and socializing."

"But you have to eat," Michael protested.

"I have hours of work to do, and you're using up my valuable time," Brian stated rather harshly.

"Well, thanks," Michael said crossing his arms on his chest and giving Brian his best hurt puppy eyes.

"I … I really can't go with you," Brian repeated. Michael always knew how to make him feel bad when he didn't do what Michael wanted.

"Come for a quick burger. It'll only take a half an hour," Michael wheedled.

"Christ!" Brian reacted. "You're worse that Gus."

"Then you'll come?"

Brian made a face. He really shouldn't leave. There was too much to do. "Let me check with Justin."

"I guess he can come with us … if he wants."

"He is coming with us, if he wants." Brian punched the numbers on the phone that rang through to the art department. Justin answered almost immediately.

"What can I do for you, Boss?" Justin joked, hoping that might cheer Brian up a bit after the bad news he had just given him.

"Michael's here. He wants us to go for a quick dinner with him," Brian explained.

"No can do. I'm in the middle of the new Remsen graphics. I need to finish them."

"How long will you be?"

"Maybe an hour. You go with Michael. I'll meet you at home."

Brian sighed. He had been doing a lot of sighing today. He wanted to have dinner with Justin at home, and then he wanted to fuck and leave the shitload of business crap that he had been dealing with at the office, instead of dragging it home with them every night. But Michael was waiting, and he did have to eat.

"I won't be late," Brian said before hanging up. "Let's go," he told Michael. He didn't particularly want to eat or spend time with Michael, but if he did this now, he might not have to do it again for a few weeks. It was easier than trying to reason with his best friend.

They walked out into the foyer where Cynthia was giving Ted his first lesson on the fine art of being a receptionist. Neither of them looked happy.

"Don't give her a hard time, Schmidt. We need her to come back to us after the funeral."

Cynthia gave Brian a wan smile. "Thanks, Boss."

"See you in a few days," Brian said before walking out with Michael.

They drove in Debbie's old rattle trap car that Michael had borrowed to get him to 4Front. Of course when they got to the diner, Debbie was working. He should have known, Brian thought as they slid into a booth.

"You look tired, kiddo," Debbie said to Brian when she came over to take their orders.

"What do you expect?" Brian asked snarkily. He was in no mood for her telling him to take things easy.

"I know you're starting a new business, but you need to take care of yourself," she admonished.

"Thank you, Maw. I'll have a turkey sandwich…"

"On whole wheat with no mayo. I know," Debbie sighed.

"Burger and fries, Ma," Michael told her.

"Coming right up. You should be having a steak and plenty of vegetables," she felt compelled to tell Brian.

"Bring me my fucking sandwich," Brian growled.

"Yes, your majesty," Debbie said with all the sarcasm she could muster.

"Brian," Michael interjected. "Don't be mean to Ma. She's only trying to help. You do look tired."

"I am tired, Michael. There's a lot of work … and responsibility running your own business."

"I know. I have the comic book shop now."

"Yeah, sure. That's exactly the same as running 4Front."

"You are in a shitty mood," Michael stated. "I'm sorry I asked you to come to dinner."

I rub my eyes. "I shouldn't have said that. I'm just … tired."

"I think we've established that fact."

I sigh mightily. I can never win with Michael.

"Here's your food," Debbie said, plunking our plates down on the table.

Brian noted that she had also brought a dish of vegetables. He raised his eyebrow and looked up at her.

"Eat them," she ordered before heading off to deal with other customers.

Michael and Brian ate mostly in silence. Once Brian got started, he found that he was quite hungry. He ate all the vegetables and most of the sandwich.

"That's good," Debbie approved as she removed the plates.

"I need to get going," Brian told both of them.

"I can drive you," Michael offered.

"Yeah," Brian agreed. "It's a little far to walk."

"It was easier when you lived at the loft."

"Yeah, easier."

Brian's stomach started to feel a little funny as he walked out to the car. He slumped into the passenger seat and Michael started the car. By the time they got to the house, Brian was almost asleep.

"Hey, we're here," Michael said as he stopped the car in the driveway.

"I guess Justin's home. His car is here," Brian said. He made the supreme effort of opening the door and climbing out of Michael's car. He leaned in and said good night to Michael. When he stood back up, he felt a little light headed. He watched Michael back out of the driveway and then he headed for the front door.

He didn't remember there being so many steps up to the door. He kept climbing, even though his legs weren't very cooperative. Finally he got to the door and stuck his key in the lock. He turned it and opened the door.

"Is that you, Brian?" Justin called from the den.

"How many other people have a fucking key?" Brian asked.

"Oh, all my lovers do," Justin joked.

"Smart ass!" Brian grumbled.

He walked towards the den. Suddenly he felt very hot.

"Justin!" he said. "I don't feel so good."

"What?" Justin asked rushing to his side.

"I don't feel good," Brian repeated.

Justin grabbed Brian around the waist as he started to sway unsteadily on his feet. "Easy, Brian. Come sit down." He helped Brian over to the couch.

Once Brian was seated, Justin placed his hand on Brian's forehead. "You're burning up," he stated.

"This is all I need. Shit! Fuck!"

Chapter 35 - Sick by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Sick

"Come on, Brian," Justin said as he got Brian to stand up. "We need to get you home to bed."

"Fuck!" Brian croaked. "My fucking throat is killing me."

"You and Gus both have strep throat," Justin explained. "We'll stop by the pharmacy on the way home and get this prescription filled."

"Great!" Brian snarked.

"Come on, you can do it," Justin urged as they came out the door of the walk-in clinic. "The car's just over there."

"Couldn't you bring it over here?"

"I could, but you might fall over while I'm gone."

"Fuck!"

"It's not that far," Justin said urging Brian to keep walking. A sick Kinney was even worse to deal with than a healthy Kinney. And that was really saying something. "You can do it," Justin repeated.

"Stop saying that. You sound like that fucking Tony Little and his antelope torture machine."

"It's the gazelle," Justin chuckled. He quickly wiped the smile from his face when he noted Brian's glower.

Finally they made it to Justin's Jeep. Justin helped Brian into the passenger seat, accompanied by much grumbling and griping and cursing. With a stop at the pharmacy, they were soon home. Then the process of getting a tired and sick Brian to bed was next on the agenda. Justin managed to coax Brian to climb the stairs and then got him to sit on the side of the bed. He gave him his first dose of antibiotic. Brian took the pill grudgingly after Justin promised that it would make him feel better.

"How come you don't have strep throat too?" Brian asked in a whiny voice not at all like his usually sarcastic self.

"Maybe I'm not as rundown as you are."

"I'm not rundown," Brian protested.

"Of course not, that's why I can feel every rib on your torso and you have bags the size of suitcases under your eyes," Justin said, as he began stripping off Brian's clothes.

"I can do it myself," Brian said, shoving Justin's hand away.

"Then do it," Justin commanded standing back and glaring at Brian.

Brian managed to unbutton his trousers and pull the zipper down. That completed, he slumped forward and let out a long sigh.

"At this rate we'll be here till next Tuesday getting you into bed," Justin grumped. He grabbed the legs of Brian's trousers and gave them a yank sending Brian onto his back. That enabled him to pull the trousers out from under Brian.

"What did you mean about the bags under my eyes?" Brian mumbled.

"I meant that you have bags under your eyes. You're all skin and bones because you won't stop working long enough to eat. No wonder you're sick." Justin began working on Brian's shirt.

"I don't have bags under my eyes."

"Yes, you do. But you also haven't been eating enough."

"Can you get me a couple of slices of cucumber?"

"Cucumber? Is this some sort of weird craving?"

"I want them for my eyes."

"You're on your fucking death bed and you're worried about the bags under your eyes? Un-fucking-believable!"

"I can't have bags under my eyes at my funeral."

"You're not dying, you son of a bitch. If you took care of yourself, we wouldn't have this problem," Justin countered.

"Your bedside manner is commendable, Sunshine." Brian managed to stick his tongue in his cheek and look a little like the Brian Kinney everyone knew and hated. "You sound just like me."

"And what greater tribute is there than that?" Justin asked sarcastically.

"None that I can think of." Brian swung his legs up onto the bed when Justin pulled the covers back.

"Go to sleep."

"I need my cucumber."

"Shit! All right, I'll get your fucking cucumber. Try to go to sleep." Justin went storming out of the room leaving Brian to moan in peace.

When he returned a few minutes later, Brian was wheezing in the familiar way that told Justin he was asleep. Justin walked over to the bed and set the dish of cucumber slices on the night table. He felt Brian's forehead. It was still hot, probably too soon for the antibiotics to have kicked in. Justin pulled the covers up tight around Brian's neck and tucked them in. He kissed Brian's feverish brow before going quietly out of the room.

*****

Brian awoke with a start. His throat still hurt and he felt very groggy. He needed to pee. He reached over to the other side of the bed to get Justin to help him. The bed was empty.

"Justin," Brian croaked. There was no response. "Justin!" Brian called as loudly as he could.

"I'm coming," Justin called. He came rushing into the room wearing only his underwear.

"Where were you?" Brian asked in an accusatory voice. He sounded like a child who had been abandoned by his parents.

"I'm sleeping in Gus' room," Justin quickly explained. "Do you need something?"

"Need to pee."

"Come on then, get up, but do it slowly."

Justin pulled the covers back and took Brian's arm to help him sit up.

"I'm soaking wet," Brian observed.

"Did you wet yourself?" Justin asked with concern.

"No, I fucking didn't wet myself. I'm covered in sweat. I stink and the bed clothes are all wet."

"Come on," Justin said patiently. You've been sweating in your sleep. Maybe your fever has broken." He felt Brian's head. It didn't feel quite as hot as it had before, or maybe that was wishful thinking on his part. He helped Brian into the bathroom. Brian slumped down onto the toilet and Justin left him there.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going to change the sheets. You'll be more comfortable with fresh ones."

"Thanks," Brian said softly. He managed to complete his business sitting down. When he tried to stand up, the room started spinning in an uncontrollable manner. He quickly sat back down on the relative safety of the toilet seat. "I need a shower," he mumbled, when Justin came back into the bathroom.

"I don't think that's a good idea, but I could give you a sponge bath."

"That would be nice," Brian said with his little boy smile. He looked a lot like Gus when he smiled like that.

Justin grabbed a facecloth from the linen closet and wet it with warm water. He gently sponged Brian's chest and back while his partner sat on the toilet.

"Does that feel better?" Justin asked.

"Heavenly," Brian replied.

Justin looked at Brian's face to ascertain whether the man was being sarcastic. It didn't seem like he was, because his eyes were closed and he seemed to be enjoying the impromptu bath. Justin continued on Brian's legs. When he was done, he toweled off the familiar body.

"There, ready to go back to bed?"

"I feel better. Thank you, Sunshine."

Justin knew Brian was really sick, because he would never admit that he liked the bath or thank him for it if he was feeling like himself.

"What time is it?" Brian asked, as Justin supported him to walk back to the bed.

"A little after one. You've been sleeping for four hours."

"Hm."

"Did it seem longer?" Justin asked as he lowered Brian back onto the bed.

"Don't know," Brian replied, his eyes closed. "These sheets feel nice. Cool."

"That's good," Justin said, covering Brian up.

"Should I take another pill?"

"Not until morning."

"'Kay."

"You'll be fine, Brian. Go back to sleep."

"Stay with me."

"Okay, for a bit."

Justin climbed onto the bed and laid on top of the covers. He ran his hand down Brian's arm and then brushed the damp hair off Brian's forehead. Brian sighed and seemed to doze off. Justin scooted over to the edge of the bed prepared to go back to Gus' room.

"I'm not asleep," Brian said.

Justin almost jumped out of his skin. "You could give a guy some warning," he gasped.

"I thought a guy would stay with me."

"Well, this guy would prefer to get some sleep away from the raging inferno that is your body."

"You always liked my inferno before," Brian said with a little grin.

Justin sat back down on the edge of the bed. He instinctively touched Brian's forehead, feeling the fever still there. "You need to rest and get better."

"I don't want you to leave."

"You'll sleep better by yourself … and so will I."

"You don't like me anymore, 'cause I'm sick." Brian sounded like he was about three years old.

"I like you just fine, but I'll be the one going into 4Front tomorrow, and I'd like to be bright eyes and bushy tailed."

"Mm, tail," Brian whispered. He seemed to be getting sleepy again.

Justin chuckled, "Trust you to pick up on that."

"Well! But I'll be better in the morning. I can go in with you." When there was no response, Brian said, "Right?"

"We'll see. Go to sleep."

"I'll be fine in the morning," Brian mumbled as his eyes drooped.

"Sure," Justin said, feeling Brian's forehead again. When Brian didn't move or open his eyes, Justin slid off the bed. There were no protests this time as he headed for Gus' room. Brian was asleep.

*****

"Justin," Brian croaked. "Justin!"

Justin came running wrapped in a towel.

"What? Is something wrong?"

"My throat hurts."

Justin sighed. "I know, Brian. It's called having strep throat."

"But I'm supposed to be better today."

"It doesn't happen immediately."

"But I took my pill."

"And you have nine days more of them."

"Nine days! Nine fucking days! I can't be sick for nine days!"

"You won't be sick all that time, but you have to take the pills for that long to be sure the infection is gone."

"Oh. I guess I can do that," Brian conceded. "But I refuse to be sick for nine days."

"I don't think you have any choice about how long you're sick," Justin told him.

Brian frowned. He took a good look at Justin. "Why are you all wet?" he asked.

"I just got out of the shower."

"Oh."

"Are you hungry?"

"No."

"Well, you need to eat something. You have to take another pill and you're supposed to have food with it."

Brian made a face, but then said, "Okay."

"Do you want to come downstairs and sit up for a while, or should I bring you a tray up here?"

"I'll come down. I need to shower."

"I think you need to stay warm. Showering might not be a good idea."

"But I reek."

"Stand up," Justin ordered.

Brian threw back the covers and tried to stand up like he normally would. He immediately felt lightheaded and sat back on the bed quickly to avoid pitching forward onto the floor.

"My point exactly," Justin said. "You will stay in bed and I'll bring you some toast and juice."

"I need to get ready for work."

"You're not going anywhere," Justin declared.

"But we're already short one person with Cynthia gone."

"Ted and I will manage."

"But…"

"Lie back," Justin said, pulling the covers up over Brian.

"But…"

"Sh, close your eyes and rest. I'll get your breakfast."

Brian let his head sink into the pillow. It did feel good to lie down. As much as he wanted to go to work, needed to go to work, needed to make sure that 4Front was running properly, it felt much better to rest. He closed his eyes.

"Brian, are you asleep?" Justin's voice roused him.

"Mm," he replied, forcing his eyes to open.

"I've got some toast and juice for you," Justin said.

"Throat hurts."

"I know, but you need to eat. You need to build up your strength."

Brian sighed. "Okay," he agreed. He pushed himself into a more upright position. Justin handed him the glass of juice and he sipped a bit. It tasted pretty good.

"Here, have a bite of toast."

"It has butter," Brian protested.

"Yes, it does. Eat it."

"But…"

"Dry toast would be too harsh on your throat. Eat it," Justin ordered gently.

Brian took a bite and chewed. It tasted pretty good and it didn't hurt his throat when he swallowed.

"Now swallow your pill." Justin handed him a pill and the glass of juice. Brian downed the pill and most of the juice. "Good," Justin told him.

"I think I'm well enough to go into work," Brian said.

"Yeah, right," Justin snorted. "That's why I have to practically carry you to the fucking toilet. You're not going anywhere today or tomorrow, so don't even mention it. We'll see after that."

"When did you become so bossy?" Brian asked.

"I've always been bossy," Justin declared. "But you never listened to me most of the time."

"So why should I listen now?"

"Because without me, you'll be pissing the bed and having to lie in it."

"Eeeiiww!"

Justin chuckled. "Well, it's true, so behave yourself and stop giving me a hard time."

"What am I going to do while you're at 4Front?"

"I've arranged for someone to look after you."

"You have? Who?"

"You'll find out shortly. Now, I have to go get dressed."

"Justin, who is it?" Justin merely smiled and walked towards the closet. "Justin Taylor! Tell me."

"All will be revealed before long." Justin pulled out some clothes and started putting them on.

"You can't wear that," Brian protested, noting the jeans and shirt that Justin was putting on.

"This is what I wear to work every day."

"You're not in charge every day. I am."

"Oh?" Justin looked thoughtful. "Maybe I should wear something a little more … sophisticated.

Brian nodded his head. "Wear your blue suit."

"Christ! I can dress myself, you know." Brian looked at him, skepticism written all over his face. "Okay, I'll wear the blue suit," Justin said, giving in.

"Good."

The phone rang and Justin reached for it. He answered and then handed it to Brian.

"Who is it?"

"Your son."

Brian smiled. "Hey, Sonny Boy, are you feeling better?"

"A little bit."

"That's good."

"You're sick, Dada?"

"Yeah, we seem to have the same thing."

"Your throat hurts?"

"Yep. Did yours hurt real bad?"

"Yes, Dada."

"But it's better now?" Brian asked hopefully. It had been three days since Gus got sick.

"Kinda. It still hurts a bit."

"When can you leave the house?" Brian asked hoping to gauge how long Justin was going to make him stay in bed.

"Maybe tomorrow," Gus said.

"I hope they set you free tomorrow, Sonny Boy."

"Me too, Dada."

"I thought you were going to call me Daddy," Brian reminded him.

"I am … when I'm better."

Brian chuckled. "Okay, that's a deal."

"Love you, Dada," Gus said.

"Love you too, Sonny Boy. We'll both be better soon."

"Good," Gus stated.

"Take your medicine," Brian reminded his son.

"You too, Dada."

Brian pushed the end button on the phone and set it on the bed beside him. He looked around noting that Justin had disappeared. He took the juice glass that was on the night stand and drained the rest of the juice. There wasn't much left, but it felt cool and good on his throat.

"Justin!" he called. He wanted some more juice.

He heard the front door bell ring. That must be his minder for the day. He wondered which one of his hapless friends was called upon to look after him. If it was Michael, that would be good. He could make Michael do whatever he wanted. They would have a good day. If it was Emmett, the big fairy would mother him to death and order him around. That wouldn't be so good, but Emmett would take good care of him. It couldn't be Ted, because he would be at 4Front with Justin, and Lindsay had to look after Gus. Oh God! It might be Debbie. She'd smother him and make him eat, and pester the fucking life out of him. Maybe it wouldn't be Debbie, he thought to himself. Maybe it'll be Vic. Yeah, Vic. That would be good. He would enjoy spending the day with Vic.

"Justin!" he called again. "Who was that?"

"We'll be up in a minute," Justin called.

"Who's 'we'?"

"You'll see in a minute."

"Fuck!" It must be someone bad.

"Here's your nurse for the day," Justin said stepping into the room.

"Yeah, and who might that be?" Brian asked.

Melanie Marcus stepped through the door.

"Fuck!"


Chapter 36 - Still Sick by Thyme

 

Domestic Bliss

Still Sick

"Hello, asshole," Melanie Marcus said as she walked through the door of Brian's bedroom. She looked positively cheerful.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Brian asked. He knew that look on her face could not mean anything good.

"Didn't Justin tell you? I'm your nurse for the day." The evil gleam in her eyes sent shivers up Brian's feverish spine.

"Justin," he whined. "Justin, don't leave me."

"I have to get to work," Justin said quickly. He came over to the bed and kissed Brian's cheek. "You'll be fine."

"Noooo," Brian whimpered. "Don't leave me with her."

"I have to go. You know there's a lot to do at 4Front."

"But I'm sick. Don't leave me. Let me come with you," Brian pleaded. He was holding onto Justin's arm in a deathlike grip.

"I really have to go. You'll be fine."

"Nooo…"

"Stop being such a fucking baby. Get out of here, Justin," Melanie ordered. She gave Justin a glare as she ripped Brian's hand off Justin's arm.

"Bye, Brian. See you this afternoon," Justin called as he escaped from the bedroom.

Brian whimpered internally. He refused to let the sound escape. He knew he couldn't show any weakness to Melanie Marcus. He drew in a deep breath and stared at her as she stood hand on hip studying him.

"What?" he demanded in his best sarcastic and imperious voice. It didn't sound up to his usual snark though, thanks to his very sore throat.

"This is what you get for allowing Gus to get sick," Melanie stated. There was not an ounce of sympathy emanating from her. She was going to torture him, Brian knew it with certainty.

"Don't you have other victims to persecute somewhere?" Brian asked.

"No, just you," she said airily. "I decided I could afford to work from home today. So, you have me for the full day."

Brian couldn't prevent the groan that escaped his lips.

Melanie glared at him and then chuckled. "This is exactly where I've always wanted you," she said with the most sinister voice Brian had ever heard.

Brian stared, fascinated by this woman who had always hated his fucking guts. And now she was here, supposedly to look after him. He felt fear creep through him. She really was evil.

"Um … you should really go to work. I'm sure you have important things to do," Brian ventured. "I'll be fine by myself."

"Yeah, right. And if anything happened to you, they'd crucify me," she scoffed.

"Really, I'm fine," Brian tried to convince her.

"Give it up, Kinney. I'm here for the day."

"Where's Lindsay?"

"Home."

"Why didn't she come?"

"She's looking after Gus."

"You could look after Gus and she could look after me," Brian said hopefully.

"Gus wanted Lindsay to stay with him, so I got the short straw, and here I am. Deal with it."

Gus had the right idea. He was a smart little fucker. Of course it was better to be home with Lindsay than with Melanie.

"I feel tired," Brian said hoping that would at least get her out of the room.

"Have you taken your meds?" she asked, ignoring his statement.

"Yes."

"Did you eat some breakfast?"

"Yes."

"Do you need to pee?"

"No, not at the moment." Even if he had to piss like an elephant, Brian wouldn't have admitted that to his old nemesis.

"What the fuck is this?" Melanie asked picking up the dish that Justin had left on the night stand hours ago.

Brian looked at the limp slices of cucumber. "Cucumber," he replied to her question.

"What the fuck is Justin feeding you cucumber for? You need substantial food when you're ill. Although, if he wants you to die from malnutrition, that's fine with me. Would you like some more for lunch?" she asked snidely.

"No, I fucking don't want more for lunch. They weren't to eat anyway," Brian mumbled.

"Then what are they doing here?" Melanie asked with a frown. She studied the limp slices in the dish. Brian refused to say anything. He wished he hadn't answered anything about the fucking cucumber. Melanie looked at him again, and then chuckled evilly. "You were using them on the bags under your eyes, weren't you, asshole?"

"I don't have bags under my eyes," Brian protested weakly.

Melanie snorted. "Go to sleep, Kinney. You need lots of rest by the look of you. I'll be downstairs."

Brian watched as she marched out of the room. He breathed a sigh of relief as she disappeared from sight. Maybe a nap was a good thing right now. When he woke up, she might be gone.

*****

Brian awoke with a start. Something had a death grip on his shoulder. It felt like the jaws of a fucking crocodile. He opened his eyes slowly dreading what he might find.

"It's noon," Melanie said releasing his shoulder.

Brian rubbed the spot trying to get some circulation going through the affected area. "So?" he asked.

"I brought you soup."

"Couldn't you wait until I woke up?"

"The soup is ready. Eat!"

"Fuck! Have you never heard of reheating?"

"It's better the first time around," Melanie stated.

"Isn't that love?"

"No, asshole, love is better the second time around."

"And so would the soup," Brian griped.

Melanie glared at him. "And what the fuck would you know about love anyway?"

Brian opened his mouth to respond, but thought better of it. He was awake. He might as well eat the fucking soup, then maybe she'd leave him alone again. He struggled to sit up in bed. He grabbed one of the pillows from Justin's side of the bed and tried to wedge it behind him. He couldn't seem to get it in a position that would allow him to sit up so he could eat the fucking soup.

"Could you give me a fucking hand?" he demanded.

With a smug look, Melanie started clapping.

"Fuck!"

"Oh, for fuck's sake! Lean forward," she ordered. She crammed the pillow behind his back. It wasn't particularly comfortable but at least he was more or less sitting up. "Now eat!" she commanded, as she set the tray across his legs.

"I could have got up," Brian said.

"Then get the fuck up. I'm going back downstairs to check in with the office."

"You do that."

"I don't need your fucking permission to do what I just said I was going to do."

Brian sighed and watched her march out of the room again. She always refused to cut him an inch of slack. It wouldn't matter what he said, she would find fault with it. He picked up the spoon and ran it through the broth. It must be Jewish chicken soup. What else would the harridan bring? He spooned up some and tentatively sipped it. It tasted pretty good. But that didn't mean she hadn't laced it with a little arsenic. Surprisingly Brian felt the hot soup soothe his sore throat. He ate a few more spoonfuls. Deciding that the soup hadn't killed him yet, Brian polished off the bowl. He was spooning up the last drops when Melanie arrived back in the bedroom.

"You must have been hungry," she said with a smile.

"It … it hit the spot," he grudgingly admitted.

"They say chicken soup is good for what ails you."

"Did you make it?" Brian wanted to know.

"I made it for Gus."

"Of course you did."

"It's my grandmother's recipe."

"It … made my throat feel better."

This time, when Melanie smiled, it was the first truly genuine smile that Brian had seen since she arrived. "Would you like some more? There's lots."

"Later … maybe."

"Okay," she replied. She took the tray away and set it on the dresser. "Do you need anything else?"

"I think I need to pee."

"You think, or you need to?" she asked ominously.

"I need to."

"So, what do we do?" For the first time since she had arrived, Melanie seemed a little unsure of herself.

"If you could kind of walk me in there," Brian ventured to say. "I get a little lightheaded when I stand up."

"Okay," she said. With that she came over to the bed and grabbed the top of the sheet covering him. Brian pulled it against himself. "What?" she demanded. "You're not naked under there, are you?" she laughed. The old Melanie was back. "Believe me, it won't have any effect on me."

"Thank God for small mercies," Brian blurted out.

"So, get up," she ordered with a sinister edge to her voice.

"I stink," Brian muttered.

"What?"

"I said I stink."

"So?"

"I've been sweating a lot since I got sick, and I reek."

"Gus did that too."

"But … it's really bad."

"I think I can stand your stink during the lengthy journey to the toilet. Besides, would you care to explain to me how I'm going to keep you from keeling over, if I can't even get near you?"

"Maybe I'll just stay here," Brian half moaned.

"Get the fuck up!" she ordered ripping the covers from Brian's hands. "I'm not cleaning the bed when you piss yourself."

Brian carefully swung his legs out of the bed and sat on the side of it. He took a minute to make sure his head wasn't spinning. Then he tried to stand up. He wavered and almost sat back down, but Melanie grabbed his arm and let him lean against her.

"Walk," she ordered. Her arm was wrapped around his waist where she could feel every bone and muscle. Brian Kinney was always a thin son of a bitch, but Melanie realized he seemed almost emaciated. No wonder he was lightheaded.

They quickly made their way to the bathroom. She was surprisingly strong for someone of her size, Brian thought to himself. She guided him along, taking his weight when he needed to lean against her to steady himself. She let Brian flop down on the toilet as soon as they arrived there.

"Thanks," he said as she backed away.

"I'll let you handle it from here. Call me when you're done."

Brian watched her disappear out the door, closing it behind her. He managed to stand up a bit and pull down his underwear. He wished he had some clean ones to put on. These were sweaty and probably stunk to high heaven, but he chose not to test that out with his nose.

"Are you okay?" Melanie's voice asked from the other side of the door.

"Yeah,"

"I'm throwing you a clean pair of underwear. Let me know if you can reach it or I'll have to come in there."

"Okay."

The door opened and Melanie pitched underwear in his direction. He was actually able to catch it before it hit the floor.

"Good arm," Brian called out to her.

She laughed. "I pitched for my little league team."

Brian raised an eyebrow. Nobody would have ever guessed that. He carefully kicked off the dirty pair of underwear and pulled the fresh ones on. He picked up the used ones and tossed them in the hamper. If he had a match, he would have burned them. With effort he managed to stand. He washed his hands holding onto the counter most of the time. Using the counter as a crutch, he made his way to the door. He opened it to find Melanie remaking his bed.

"Mel?" he said.

"Hold on a sec. I'm almost done." She smoothed the sheets and then came quickly over to where he was standing supported by the frame of the door. "You must be feeling a little better if you got this far," she said as she let him lean on her.

"Must be that magical chicken soup," Brian said tongue in cheek.

"Care for another bowl?"

"You know, I think I do."

Melanie's smile almost rivaled Justin's as she lowered Brian carefully to the bed. Brian swung his feet up and Melanie pulled the fresh sheet over him.

"Rest. I'll reheat some more soup." She stressed the word reheat, making Brian smile.

Melanie had just left the room when the phone rang. Brian picked it up from the nightstand. It was Justin.

"So how's it going?" Justin asked.

Brian could feel him holding his breath. "We haven't killed each other … yet."

"That's good," Justin chuckled.

"What the fuck ever possessed you to arrange for Melanie Marcus to come look after me?"

"There wasn't anybody else."

"I figured she had to be pretty far down the roll of possible nurses, but surely someone…"

"I tried everybody, Brian. It just turned out to be a bad day. Everyone had something else they had to do."

"Yeah, right."

"They did."

"Debbie?" Brian asked.

"She couldn't get anyone to cover her shift at the diner. There seems to be an epidemic of strep throat going around, not that you would know anything about that."

"You mean I got this at the fucking diner?"

"I didn't say that, but it's a possibility."

"Fuck!"

"Are you feeling any better?'

"Actually I think I am."

"Really? That's great."

"Melanie fed me some of her chicken soup. She's making me another bowl right now."

"And you ate it?" Justin asked in surprise. He had expected to hear that Brian refused to eat anything all day, wouldn't speak to Melanie and had hired a hit man to finish her off.

"It wasn't bad."

Justin laughed. "I never thought I'd live to hear you say that."

"You're still young. I have plenty more surprises."

"That's good to know."

Brian could feel the smile in Justin's voice. "When are you coming home?"

"I might be late."

"Why? Is something wrong at 4Front? Has Ted screwed up?"

"No, Ted hasn't screwed up. You didn't ask if I screwed up."

"You wouldn't do that … would you?"

Justin chuckled. "Thank you for that resounding vote of confidence."

"So why can't you come home early?"

"Brian, I'm doing your work and my work, and helping Ted. It's not exactly easy."

"Of course," Brian conceded. "If you need my help, just let me know. Bring the work home and maybe I can help."

"You must be feeling better."

"I am … a bit."

"That's good news."

"Maybe those antibiotics are starting to kick in."

"Well, get some rest, and I'll be home as soon as I can."

"Later."

"Later."

Brian set the phone down with a sigh.

"Melanie Marcus Catering," Melanie said as came through the door with a tray containing another bowl of soup and some toast. "We specialize in therapeutic chicken soup."

"I'd laugh, but it hurts," Brian snarked.

"Wouldn't want you to strain yourself."

"Don't worry, I won't." It seemed like their moments of congeniality were over and snark once again reigned supreme.

Brian tried to get his pillows arranged and then decided that he could eat more easily if he sat on the edge of the bed. He swung his legs out as Melanie watched. She knew it was a good thing if he got up more, but only if he was feeling like it. She set the soup on the nightstand and Brian began sipping it. With a satisfied smile Melanie headed back downstairs.

After Brian finished the soup, he ate some of the toast that she had brought up with the soup and then laid back down. He had to admit that he was feeling better, but he was still sleepy. He closed his eyes.

*****

A pleasant aroma tickled his olfactory senses. Brian sniffed and opened his eyes. Melanie was standing by the bed staring at him.

"What's that smell?"

"Chicken pot pie."

"Jewish chicken pot pie?"

Melanie chuckled. "Of course."

Brian smirked at her. "Time to eat … again?"

"Yep. Get up, asshole." But there was no venom in her voice.

Brian smiled. He swung his feet over the side of the bed and sat there waiting. Melanie made no effort to move. Brian looked over at her and realized that she had set the dishes on the table in the corner of the room.

"You expect me to walk all the way over there, don't you?" he asked.

She nodded her head. "You've slept the day away. It's time you used some of the energy you've stored up. We wouldn't want your muscles to atrophy, now would we?"

"No, especially certain muscles." If he didn't know better, he'd almost think that she blushed at his words. Couldn't be though, could it?

Brian made the effort to stand up. Using the post of the bed and the dresser for support, he made his way over to the table and sat down in the chair. He had to admit that it felt good to do some things for himself. That must mean he was getting better. He'd show Ms Melanie Marcus that he could fend for himself.

Having to eat the food Melanie provided would normally have pissed Brian off. But he somehow felt that it was all right in these circumstances. The pot pie was almost as good as the soup, almost but not quite.

As he ate, Melanie handed him his pill and he took it without comment. The pills seemed to be doing something right. He was feeling better. He was just finishing up his pot pie when the front door opened. Justin called up to them.

"That's my cue to head out," Melanie said immediately.

"Can't wait to get away from me?" Brian snarked.

"You have to admit that twelve hours together is plenty."

Brian smiled and nodded his head. "It was fabulous, Mel. Let's not do it again anytime soon."

Melanie chuckled. "Count on it, Kinney." Justin came into the bedroom. "He's all yours," she said and quickly left the room.

"How'd it go?" Justin asked as he walked over and felt Brian's forehead.

"I much prefer a kiss to you surreptitiously taking my temperature."

"There was nothing surreptitious about it. I was taking your temperature. You feel almost normal."

"Fuck normal! I'm fine."

Justin laughed. "Normal means you are fine. This is a big improvement from when I left this morning. You could barely sit up, and here you are sitting at a table eating your dinner."

"Yeah, major achievement," Brian snarked.

"Well, it is a big step."

"I'm fine," Brian stated.

"Glad to hear it."

"So how was work? Is 4Front still in business?"

"Of course it is. I worked out the logistics of the campaign for Dawson and worked out a payment agreement. He was pretty mortified about his check bouncing. He promises to make good if we can help to get his business rolling again."

"I hope you got that in writing."

"I did, and I finalized the ads for Donovan Cleaners. He's happy as a pig in shit with the new campaign."

"Think you're pretty smart, don't you?"

Justin nodded his head and smiled at Brian. "I had a good day. How about you?"

"Oh, fucking lovely! My throat was killing me and then I have to be nursed by Melanie fucking Marcus and you go away and leave me here so she can torture me."

"You don't look very tortured. In fact, I'd say you're greatly improved." Justin tried not to look too smug.

Brian studied him for a moment. "Why, you little conniver! You brought Melanie here on purpose. I bet you never even tried to get anyone else to look after me. Did you?" Brian demanded.

"Well, you'd walk all over everyone else," Justin admitted.

"Debbie?"

"She really couldn't get anyone to take her shift."

"So you sicced good old Mel on me."

"Something like that. You're up and feeling better, aren't you?"

Grudgingly, Brian had to admit that he was. He wasn't sure what Melanie Marcus actually had to do with it, but he did feel better.

"Did you and Mel get along?" Justin asked.

"Better than I would have thought."

"Really?" Justin asked with a smile.

"She makes great chicken soup."

"There's more of it in the fridge for tomorrow," Melanie said as she came back in the room.

"Shit! I thought you went home," Brian griped. He didn't like Melanie to hear his compliments.

"Don't worry, I'm leaving. I packed up my papers and things. Just came up to say goodbye."

"Good night, Mel. And thanks for doing this," Justin told her.

"I'd say you're welcome, but…"

"Can it, Marcus," Brian told her. "You know you enjoyed every minute of me being sick and helpless."

Melanie snickered. "Of course I did. Why else would I have agreed to do this?"

"Why indeed?" Brian repeated.

"So, do you think you can manage on your own tomorrow, or should I come back?"

"I'll be fine by myself," Brian declared hastily.

"I'll let you know in the morning. Thanks again, Mel," Justin said.

"I'll be fine," Brian said again. "You won't need to come back."

"We'll see," Justin countered.

"Okay, goodnight, boys," Melanie called as she breezed out the door.

Brian waited until he heard the front door open and close before he said anything else. "I can be by myself tomorrow," he stated again. "In fact, I think I'll go in to 4Front."

"We'll see about you being on your own tomorrow when we get up. However, you are definitely not going to work tomorrow, so forget it."

"But I could do it," Brian protested.

"And then you'd have a relapse."

"No, I wouldn't," Brian whined.

"Do I need to call Mel back here to straighten you out?"

"No, no," Brian said quickly. "Anything but that."

"Then behave yourself."

"Okay, I'll be good."

"Ready to go back to bed?"

"I think I could watch some TV if you helped me down the stairs."

"You feel up to it?"

Brian nodded. "Must be that Jewish chicken soup. It has miraculous powers."

"I'll remember that the next time you're sick."

"I'm never being sick again," Brian declared. And he meant it with every fiber of his being.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1318