Consequences of Snooping by SandyGale
Summary:

Brian has been acting strange for several weeks. Michael decides to search the loft while Brian is out of town on business to see if he can find any clues to his best friend's recent behavior. What he finds is a copy of Brian's will. And now he wants to know... just who the hell is Justin Taylor and why is Brian leaving him his entire estate?


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Ted Schmidt
Tags: Anti-Lindsay, Anti-Michael, Family, Jealousy, M/M, One-Shot
Genres: Alternate Universe
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: Consequences
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1408 Read: 7681 Published: Aug 11, 2018 Updated: Aug 11, 2018
Story Notes:

I was inspired by a plot bunnie from the great Deb Tanner. I thought I'd try it and hope you will enjoy it.

1. Chapter 1 by SandyGale

Chapter 1 by SandyGale
Author's Notes:

First one shot I tried. Hopefully you like it.

Michael Novotny had been worried about his best friend Brian Kinney for a couple of weeks and decided to figure out just what was wrong with him. Brian had been traveling through the United States for the past six months to provide the best advertising presentations and ideas to his clients. His company Kinnetik had become one of the biggest in the world within four years due to Brian's hard work, creativity and will power.

He had been back in Pittsburgh for about five weeks but gone was the Brian Michael knew and secretly loved. Although he married Ben several years ago and adopted Hunter with him, Michael still pinned for Brian and he knew his feelings would never change. With Ben's HIV status, Michael didn't really feel bad having feelings for another man but with the changes in Brian recently, he couldn't help but wonder if Brian might be finally ready for the Brian and Mikey show as a couple. Michael had no doubt that he would leave Ben in a heartbeat if Brian wanted to be with him. He had waited since he was 14 years old for Brian to be ready and nobody, not even his own husband, could stop him from finally getting his wish of a happy ending with Brian, his one true love.

Brian used to be the Stud of Liberty Avenue, every gay man's dream. His no-repeat policy was as famous as his loft, also known as THE ultimate fuckpad. Every night Brian would pick up tricks at Babylon or Woody's and drink and smoke until the early morning and he would still be looking fresh and handsome at work. Yes, Brian was gifted with beauty, talent, money, a huge dick and a brain.

But Brian hadn't been Brian since he came back from his travelings and Michael worried about what could have caused the stud to suddenly change. Brian went home after work, didn't hang out at Babylon at all and only met with the gang every now and then at Woody's for a round or two of drinks and pool until he would go back home alone. Nobody had seen Brian tricking since he came back, nobody had seen him real drunk or high.

Emmett told everyone that he was proud of Brian, that the ad genius probably took some time for himself during his travels and thought about his life and what he wanted. Ted and Ben worried that Brian might be sick, Blake said that Brian could've witnessed something and was dealing with PTSD. Lindsay was mad at Brian for not being her wild Peter anymore, Mel was impressed but still suspicious and Debbie was just happy to have her boy back in Pittsburgh with the rest of the family. Little Gus was the happiest to have his Daddy back home and Brian had him over a lot.

Brian wanting to spend time with his son when he never wanted to be a father was what worried Michael the most. He hoped that Brian wasn't sick and dying but ready for a family with him now. To find out what exactly was going on in Brian's life, he decided to look through Brian's personal papers in the hope to find something that would tell him why Brian had changed so fast. Michael waited until Brian had left and headed to work, then he let himself in with his key and code. Walking in, Michael noticed a lot of plans on the kitchen island. He was happy to read that Brian had bought the entire building and planned to add all lofts together to make it a real home with guest rooms and special rooms for the kids, Gus and Jenny.

Smiling, he walked towards Brian's desk, carefully sitting down and opening the drawers. His smile froze when he read Brian's will. In case he would die all of his estate and money would go to a complete stranger: Justin Taylor.
Who was that guy? And why would Brian leave everything to him? Why not Gus or him? Michael shook his head to clear away his confusion and went to read the next papers. Suddenly, he jumped up and shouted "no, no, no" several times in shock and anger, all his dreams of being with Brian dying.

He jumped again when Brian's angry voice filled the silent loft.

"What the fuck are you doing here, Michael?" Brian yelled and forced Michael to turn around and look at his best friend and true love.

"Tell me this is a joke, Brian. Tell me right now this ain't real!" Michael shouted desperately, hoping for a mistake or a cruel joke.

"My marriage is none of your fucking business." Brian spoke angrily but Michael interrupted.

"None of my business? None of my business? You're my best fucking friend and you're not telling me that you… you're married? Why didn't you tell me?" Michael demanded.

"Because it's my life and I knew you wouldn't be happy for me. I know about your fucking dreams of us growing old in Palm Strings as the happiest gay couple ever. Reality check Michael, I never loved you like that. I still don't love you like that and I won't ever love you like that." Brian said calmly yet firm.

Michael opened and closed his mouth again and again without making a single sound. His world was crashing and burning and Brian just stood there looking bored and pissed off.

"So since you know now, would you be so kind and GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOME AND LEAVE THE FUCKING KEY ON THE COUNTER!" Brian yelled and motioned for Michael to get a move on.

"But, but… you're Brian Fucking Kinney, Stud of Liberty Avenue. You're a wild stallion never to be tamed. You can't be married and build a home for you and your whore." Michael stammered.

"I'm not Brian Fucking Kinney anymore." Brian sighed. "You never saw me for what I am. You never saw how lonely and fragile I was, how much I hated being a fuck machine with a drug and alcohol addiction. I could have died any second and I didn't care, you never once tried to make me see how stupid I was. Justin Taylor did. I've met him and he gave me the courage to be myself, just Brian Aiden Kinney. A man with flaws, fears, hopes and so much insecurity and yet, Justin fell in love with me. He makes me complete and happy. I've never been so happy before and I didn't want you or Lindsay to piss all over it. I can see the jealousy and rage in your eyes, Michael. And Lindsay will feel the same but I don't care. If you can't accept my choice and my husband then you are welcome to get the hell out of my life . I want to be happy and human, I deserve to be happy and human. Not the God-like persona you and Lindsay want me to be."

Michael's eyes filled with tears listening to Brian talk about his husband but he was too angry to understand that Brian was giving him the chance to prove their friendship could go on.

"No! I will not have it, Brian. I've waited too long for you and I'll not stop trying to get your little hubby whore to leave you. If you don't break up with that shit, our friendship will be over and you'll be all alone in the end." Michael threatened.

"You know where the door is. Have a good life, Michael." Brian said and pushed Michael out of the loft, closed the door and grabbed his phone to call the locksmith.

In the end, it wasn't Brian who was all alone. Ted, Blake, Ben, Hunter, Emmett and Drew welcomed Justin with open arms as did Debbie who was so very happy to see her surrogate son so happy and carefree. Even Mel was happy for her former enemy, especially after she realized that Brian was never a threat to her. Gus and Justin bonded quickly and the entire family was happy to welcome Craig Aiden Taylor-Kinney, Justin's son with his best friend Daphne. The young woman didn't want children of her own but was happy to help her bestie and his lover.

Lindsay and Michael on the other hand became the laughing stock of Liberty Avenue and had no one but each other.

FIN

End Notes:

I hope Deb will enjoy this. Her plot bunnies always inspire me to write something but I'm rarely able to just do that.

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1321