Emerging by SabinaThymeSunshine
Summary:

Some big changes are in store for members of the Sunshine family.


Story #49 in the Sunshine Files


Categories: QAF US Characters: Brian Kinney, Justin Taylor, Original Character, Other Cast Regulars
Tags: Family
Genres: Alternate Canon, Drama
Pairings: Brian/Justin
Challenges: None
Series: The Sunshine Files
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 27338 Read: 8437 Published: Oct 02, 2018 Updated: Oct 02, 2018

1. Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine

2. Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

3. Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

4. Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

5. Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

6. Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

7. Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

8. Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

9. Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

Chapter 1 by SabinaThymeSunshine






Emerging

Chapter 1

 

“Mom, I’m home!” Gus yelled out as he burst through the door. “Mom?” he said again not getting any reply then searching the first floor of the house.

It was early Saturday morning; Gus didn’t think his mother would be at the gallery just yet. Gus had decided to fly back home from New York. It was worth the added expense to be able to spend some quality time with his mother and JR. He also wanted to know what the fuck was going on with his mothers before he drove back to Penn. He wanted to see his father and Bree but he knew that would have to wait until Labor Day. He had already heard from Justin that Edna’s Treasures would be hosting the Labor Day barbecue.

“MOMMMM!” Gus shouted louder, running up the stairs towards his mothers’ room.

“I’m here, Gus,” Lindsay said emerging from her shower in her robe with a towel wrapped around her hair. She looked tired and sadder than Gus had ever seen her, even during the worst of times.

“Oh Mommy,” he cried, wrapping his arms around his mother. Just over six foot like his father, Gus was taller than Lindsay but he felt like a little boy, helpless to ease his mother’s pain. He stepped back a little to look into his mother’s eyes.

“She’s gone for good this time. I got this in the mail the other day.” Lindsay pulled a wrinkled letter from her robe pocket then handed it to her son. She went to her room while Gus read it, standing alone in the hall.

“Fuck!” was all that Gus could say as he re-read it a half a dozen times before it sunk in. “It’s over, it’s fucking over,” he murmured incredulously.

“Yes, it is,” Lindsay confirmed as she came out of her bedroom. She was dressed but not completely ready to show her face to the world. Gus followed her down to the kitchen where he sat watching her make some toast and coffee for the both of them.

“Does JR know?”

“Yes, and that’s a whole ‘nother’ smoke as they used to say.”

“What do you mean?”

“Mel wants JR to live with her.”

“What?!” Gus asked as his eyebrows rose high into his hairline. “Is she going?”

“She doesn’t want to. She misses her mother terribly, but JR made it clear that her home is here.”

“Here?” Gus asked indicating the house that he called home for most of his life.

“Not exactly. She loves it at Michael and Ben’s. And they do have the room.”

“Mama’s not going to like that,” Gus said knowingly.

“Nope, not one bit, but JR is fifteen. Mel knows that if a custody battle were to go before a judge she’d probably lose.”

“Why?”

“Because JR isn’t a baby for one thing, and she’s living in a stable environment. Besides, she’s a sophomore now with lots of friends and she’s working part time with her father. No judge would force her away from all that.” Gus nodded in agreement. “And you have to admit, other than your father, Michael’s relationship with Ben is the longest and the strongest.”

“But you and Mama...”

“Gus, I’m finally facing reality. When it was good with Mel, it was so very good. But the bad was so far worse than any good times we shared. I’m done, lambskin. I’m tired. I just want to get through this then figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.”

“You’re not going anywhere are you?”

“No, sweetheart, maybe a vacation or a cruise after this mess is all cleared up but I’m not going to abandon you,” Lindsay reassured her son. Gus was apparently feeling abandoned by his other mother. Lindsay placed two mugs of coffee on the table with a plate of buttered toast between them then she came around the table to hug her son. “I promise you, Gus, we will get through this.”

“Okay, Mom,” he whispered. “I love you,” Gus said as he hugged her back.

“I love you so much, lambskin,” Lindsay said into her son’s neck letting her tears flow.



*****



“Daddy, would it disappoint you if I don’t become a lawyer?”

“What? No! What brought this on? Were you really thinking of becoming a lawyer?” Michael asked JR as they were eating breakfast.

The Fall semester was about to start soon so they’d been going to work early, taking inventory and rearranging the comic book store. Michael found that JR had a very logical and talented mind. She had made several subtle changes to the displays. Michael couldn’t quite figure out why they worked but he wasn’t about to argue. His daughter was more like Mel and Debbie than Michael cared to admit. But whatever JR had done had resulted in increased revenue. Who was he to argue with success?

“Honeybun, did you really want to become a lawyer? You’re very smart. I know you can do anything you set your mind to.”

“I thought about it once,” JR said contemplatively. “But it was never really my choice; Mama wanted it more than me. I think I’m old enough to make own decision.”

“I agree but...”

“I know, Dad; I’m a still a kid.”

“Yes, you are. So what do you want to do? You do want to go to college, don’t you?” Michael asked hopefully. He had high expectations for his daughter.

“Yeess, Daddy,” JR answered, rolling her eyes like all teenagers when their parents were being...parents. “I was thinking about studying marketing and business. I really like working with you at the store and I have lots of ideas about expanding, maybe getting into videos.”

“Videos?”

“Yeah, videos that have to do with comic book heroes. Those kinds of videos. You know Superman and Spiderman. Not regular videos.”

“Oh! That’s a good idea.”

“Really?” JR asked not believing her father approved. Her mother rarely approved of any of her ideas.

“Really. We’ll look into it when we get to the store. But how do we find out which videos the kids will like?”

“Oh Daddy, I know all the popular movies I’m still a kid, remember, but we can put up a suggestion box and we can get all the good movies in before Christmas.”

“Christmas? It’s still Summer.”

“Come on, Daddy, hasn’t anything Uncle Brian does at Kinnetik worn off on you?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. What’s Brian have to do with this?”

“Marketing and advertising, Daddy. Uncle Brian knows all about that.”

“Yeah, so.”

“Daaaddy!” JR was beginning to get frustrated with her father.

“Fine, I’ll call Brian and get his input.”

“Good, Daddy,” JR teased. Michael kissed his very precocious daughter. “Daddy, will Mama make me move?” JR asked, suddenly getting very serious and a little frightened of the prospect of leaving Pittsburgh and her home with her dads.

“I honestly don’t know. I’m going to talk with Lindsay to see what we’re going to do. And when was the last time you spent some quality time with your mother. She loves you and misses you,” Michael said giving JR a squeeze.

“I know and I miss her too. We’re going to lunch today if that’s okay with you.”

“Of course, Honeybun.” Michael kissed the top of JR’s head. “You know, it’s got to be hard for your mother. Mel didn’t just leave you.”

“I know, Daddy. But I’m not sure what to do.”

“Neither am I,” he said looking into his daughter’s eyes. “But I promise we’ll get through this.” JR nodded then they finished their breakfast before going to the store.



*****



“Good morning, Mr. Kinney!” Faith greeted Brian as soon as he opened the door. Bree begged her fathers to allow more piano lessons until school began. Brian and Justin couldn’t deny her since she had proved her dedication to playing the piano. So Faith and her daughter Hope had increased their visits.

“It’s Brian,” Brian hissed low without hiding the annoyance in his voice. For the millionth time Brian asked Faith to use his first name and for the millionth time she greeted him with mister. If she wasn’t such a good teacher, Brian would have shown her the door.

“Is Briana ready?”

Before Brian could answer, the sound of ‘scales’ filled the cottage.

“I believe so,” Brian snarked as he offered the ladies a beverage. When he got no takers, he left Faith with Bree then escorted Hope to her perch in the porch. “You like to read.” A statement more than a question before Brian turned to go up to his office.

“Yes, I like books. I can take them wherever I go and they don’t care if they get left behind.”

Brian stopped then turned back. “You move around a lot?” Hope nodded. “Must be inconvenient.” ‘Explains a lot,’ Brian thought to himself. “What are you reading?”

Hope held up a thick book showing Brian the title, The Collective Works of Jane Austen. He nodded. “I’ll be in my office if you need anything.” Hope nodded again then returned to her book.

“Sunshine!” Brian answered his cell phone as he settled into his chair to boot up his computer. Brian was reviewing Kinnetik’s monthly revenue reports for every branch.

“Bri, my show is opening tonight, are you coming?”

“Don’t I always come with you?”

“Yeah, but this is different.”

“How?”

“More personal. I really want you there.”

“I’ll be there. You sure you want the Squirt to be there?”

“Of course I do. She’s been coming to my openings since she was a baby. Why?”

“You’ve got my dick plastered all over the gallery walls.”

“I always have your dick plastered on all the gallery walls. If we don’t make a big deal of it neither will she.”

“If you say so, Sunshine.”

“I say so. Besides, Candy is going to be there and if her mom is feeling up to it, so will she. If Candy is going to be Bree’s new sister, they should meet.”

“Yeah, about that.” Brian heard Sidney in the background trying to get Justin’s attention.

“Bri, I gotta go. We’ll talk more later.”

“Yeah. Later,” Brian said to a dead line.



*****



Hope finished the last page of her book and shut it with a sigh. She knew she should have brought another novel with her. She could hear that stupid girl, Bree, banging out notes on her stupid spinet. What a little spoiled brat! Hope hated coming to this house more than any of the houses she went to with her mother. Bree had everything, and she didn’t even appreciate it. Bree had two fathers, and Hope didn’t even have one … most of the time. She missed her daddy a lot, but he was far away fighting against some enemy. He should be there with her.

Hope shuddered for a second then she looked up. Someone was staring at her. She could feel it. She hated being stared at. She glanced around the huge sun porch trying to figure out who was watching her. That’s when she heard a slurping sound from the far corner.

Beau raised his head from the bowl where he was drinking. He had heard this human and her mother arrive, and he had decided that the shade tree was a much better place for him to be than inside the house with them. He knew the girl didn’t like him. He had stayed outside as long as he could, but he was finally thirsty enough that he had to come back inside for some water. He had seen the girl studying a book over on the chaise. He had been as quiet as he could. He didn’t like her anymore than she liked him. He got bad vibrations when she came near him.

Hope stared at the big dog. She didn’t like dogs, especially big ones like this. The dog was drinking from his bowl. Maybe if she was really quiet he would go back to his drinking and not even notice her. The dog took a long drink, and then he raised his head and stared right at her.

“Mommy,” she whimpered softly. “Mommy.”

There was no response. She knew she hadn’t spoken loud enough for her mother to hear her, but she couldn’t seem to get her voice to work properly. The dog continued to stare at her. She sat frozen on the chaise with her heart pounding.

Brian came down the spiral staircase from his office. He looked over the railing on his way down. He could see Hope sitting on the chaise. She wasn’t reading her book anymore. The look on her face made him pause mid step.

“Hope?” he said.

The girl glanced up at him with a look of panic on her face.

“Hope! What’s wrong?” Brian called as he hurried down the rest of the stairs.

Hope managed to raise her hand and point towards Beau. Brian followed the direction of her hand, and then breathed a sigh of relief.

“That’s just Beau,” he said gently. “He won’t hurt you. Would you like to meet him?”

Hope shook her head and the panic returned to her eyes. Brian made a quick decision about what he should do.

“Go back outside, Beau,” Brian ordered. Beau looked over at him, cocking his head quizzically. If dogs could frown, Beau would be doing so. He didn’t understand what he had done that was causing him to be banished to the outdoors. “Out, Beau,” Brian repeated. The big dog turned and went through his doggie door. Once outside, he looked back at them through the glass. Brian could see Hope visibly relax. “I didn’t realize you were so afraid of Beau,” Brian said gently.

“I’m not afraid,” Hope insisted, her bravado having returned now that Beau was safely on the other side of the glass of the sun porch.

“Of course not,” Brian said sarcastically.

“Is … is my mommy ready to go?” Hope asked, her voice quivering slightly.

“I think she must be nearly ready,” Brian replied. “Bree isn’t playing anymore. Your mother’s probably giving her some instructions about what to practice.”

“Good,” Hope said crossing her arms on her chest.

Brian almost laughed out loud. She reminded him of Michael, only Michael never managed to look as fierce as this child.

“Can I get you anything?” Brian asked as he started to walk towards the house.

Hope shook her head and mumbled, “Tell my mother to hurry up.”

Brian left the sun porch wondering how long he could put up with this strange girl and her mother.



*****



“Dada,” Bree said as she and Brian closed the door behind Faith and her daughter.

“Yes, Squirt.”

“Did you hear me play?”

“Yes I did. You’re getting better every week.”

“Miss Faith says so too,” Bree replied with a big smile.

“You really love playing the piano, don’t you?”

“Yes, Dada. Almost as much as soccer.”

“Almost, huh?”

“Yep. Do you think they have a camp for piano playing?”

“Camp?”

“Yeah, like soccer camp, but for playing the piano.”

“You want to go away for even more of the summer?” Brian asked hoping his voice didn’t sound too terrified. He knew he would never be able to deal with Bree gone for a month.

“No, Dada, but if they had a piano camp, maybe I could go for a week to each.”

“Where did this idea come from?” Brian asked.

“I don’t know. I just thought about it,” Bree said with a little grin.

“You did, huh?”

“Yep.”

“Well, I’ve never heard of a piano camp, but I guess we could look into it, if you really want to,” Brian conceded dreading the thought.

“I don’t know,” Bree said with a frown. “It won’t be till next summer.”

“That’s right.”

“So, I don’t have to decide now, do I?”

“No, Squirt, no need to decide now.”

“Good.”

“Let’s go get you dressed to go to Pittsburgh for Daddy’s show.”

“Yay! I get to wear my new dress.”

“Yes you do,” Brian agreed with a smile as Bree took his hand and led him down the hall to her bedroom.

“Are we having dinner with Daddy?” Bree asked as Brian started her bath.

“No, Daddy’s very busy, and he’ll get something with Auntie Lindsay and Mr. Bloom.”

“Where are we going to eat? The diner?” Bree asked.

“I thought we might go to Emmett’s bistro,” Brian said thoughtfully. “But only if you’re very careful not to get food on your dress.”

“I’ll be reeeeeally careful,” Bree promised.

“Okay then, into the tub. Have you got everything you need?”

“I’m fine, Dada. I’m a big girl now,” Bree assured him as she pushed him towards the door of the bathroom. “You go get ready.”

“Yes, General Squirt, going immediately to follow your orders.” Brian heard the bathroom door close behind him. Bree was really getting to be an independent, grown up little girl. “Fuck!” he muttered as he walked down the hall to his own bedroom.



*****



“Well, look who’s here,” Emmett crowed as he saw Bree and Brian come into his restaurant. “Let me show my two most favorite people to their table.”

“And what do Drew and Richie think about you calling someone else your most favorite people?” Brian asked tongue in cheek.

“What the big man doesn’t know won’t cause me any problems,” Emmett said with a toothy grin as Brian and Bree sat down.

“We just want something light before Justin’s show,” Brian said. “Right, Squirt?”

“Yes, Dada, something that won’t get on my dress,” Bree informed Emmett.

“I know just the thing,” Emmett said as he headed for the kitchen.

“Dada, will Gampa Craig be at Daddy’s show?”

“I don’t know, Squirt,” Brian replied truthfully. He knew it wasn’t very likely that Craig Taylor would make the effort to attend Justin’s show. The man was as big an asshole as ever.

“I miss Gampa Craig,” Bree said sadly.

Brian knew he didn’t miss Craig Taylor at all. He never gave the man a thought except in moments like this when Craig’s asshole behavior impacted his husband or daughter. “I bet Grandma Susan will be there,” Brian added hoping to cheer Bree up.

“That’s good, but I don’t see Gampa Craig in forever.”

“Maybe he’ll come to the show,” Brian said knowing it was very unlikely that Craig would.

“Your dinners,” Emmett said setting down a salad with grilled chicken in front of each of them. He had tailored the size to suit each guest. “I hope this meets with your approval.”

“I think it will do passably,” Brian said with a smirk.

Emmett gave him a glare and turned to Bree. “What about you, little lady?”

“Looks good, Auntie Emm,” Bree said as she laid her napkin in her lap.

“I’m glad someone appreciates my efforts,” Emmett replied giving Brian a scathing look.

Brian ignored the look and asked, “Are you coming to Justin’s show?”

“I should be there a little later when the rush is over here. I have a couple of people on holiday, so I’m filling in as needed.”

“Looks good on you,” Brian snarked.

“What the f… is the matter with you?”

“Nothing,” Brian replied. Bree’s questions had made him realize how much he wanted to wring Craig Taylor’s neck and he was taking it out on Emmett. “I’m not in the best of moods at the moment.”

“You think?” Emmett asked pointedly. “You need an attitude adjustment before the show,” Emmett informed him. “I was planning to bring Richie to Justin’s show. I wondered if that would be all right?”

“Why wouldn’t it?” Brian asked as he munched on his salad.

“Well, I see you’re bringing Bree, so I guess it will be suitable for Richie,” Emmett stated.

“If you’re worried about my dick being plastered all over the walls, I have it on good authority that it will be,” Brian said with a smirk.

“Great!” Emmett replied as he bustled off.

“Dada, where’s your dick?” Bree asked as she chewed a mouthful of salad.

“Nowhere,” Brian replied quickly.

“But you said it was plastered on the walls.”

So much for not making a big deal about his dick. “Eat your dinner,” Brian told his daughter.

Chapter 2 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 2





As Brian and Bree were finishing up their dinner, Emmett kept his distance from their booth. No easy task since the bistro wasn’t very large and the booth was Emmett’s special booth closest to the counter.

“Dada,” Bree whispered as she leaned closer to her father.

“Yes, Squirt?” Brian leaned forward as he whispered back.

“I hafta go to the bathroom,” Bree said as discreetly as she could.

“Do you need help?”

“No, Dada,” Bree replied confidently as she hopped down from the bench and made her way to the restrooms. No sooner was Bree’s seat vacated, than Emmett plopped his ass into it.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” he demanded. “You haven’t been this snippy since the Fiddler moved in on your Sunshine. Now before I have to get rough with you, spill.” If Emmett was capable of arching his eyebrow, he would have. Brian sighed then gave Emmett the fast abridged version of Candy, and Justin’s plans for her, before Bree came back. He also added the bit about the ‘missing’ Craig.

“Well, fuck me!” Emmett exclaimed.

“Not in this lifetime,” Brian snarked then shrugged apologetically. “I will support Justin, no matter what he does. And I agree, the girl will need someone to be responsible for her until she’s legal and able to be on her own. And I admit, I gave Justin the impression that I’d welcome the girl into our house but...”

“Upon reflection, you realize that only one little girl belongs at Edna’s Treasures,” Emmett voiced it out loud. Brian nodded. “And now you don’t know what to say to Justin.” Brian nodded again. “Honey, what happened in the past when you weren’t straight with Justin? And I use the term straight, loosely.”

“It fucked up our lives,” Brian replied, ignoring the straight crack.

“Exactly. You pushed hard and he...”

“Argued then eventually took the hint.”

“Bri, I understand Justin’s need to rescue this girl. I’d feel the same way. I did feel the same way then I was blessed with a beautiful son. But this is Hobbs.”

“I know.” Before they could continue their conversation, Bree returned to the table.

“Dada, you and Auntie Emm friends again?” Bree asked sweetly, with her eyes opened wide and looking so much like her daddy. Brian scooped her up into his lap.

“Yes, Squirt, Emm and I are friends again,” Brian whispered into the soft strawberry blond hair. He looked up over her head into Emmett’s eyes; the intense hazel eyes apologized and thanked his friend at the same time. Emmett nodded with a smile in acknowledgment.

“That’s good, Dada. Cuz I love Auntie Emm.”

“I know you do. So do I,” Brian admitted softly. But not soft enough. Emmett sniffled with happy tears. “Get a grip, Honeycutt,” Brian growled.

“I always knew you cared,” Emmett teased. “And don’t call me Honeycutt!”

“Let’s go, Bree, your Daddy is probably wondering where we are.”

“Oh pshaw,” Emm said, waving his wrist. “He expects you to be fashionably late.”

“But not that late,” father and daughter said in unison making them all laugh.

“Then get out of my bistro and I’ll see you both at the gallery,” Emmett declared with authority. “I’m doing the catering so I’ll be there soon,” he added proudly.

“Of course you are, and there’s none better to do it,” Brian added his backhanded compliment as he gently pushed Bree off his lap so they could go.

“See you later, Auntie Emm,” Bree said as she reached up for the tall queen. Emmett picked her up to give her a loud smooch and a hug.

“You take care of your Dada for me and keep him in a good mood,” Emmett whispered loudly. “You know how grumpy he gets when people fawn all over your Daddy.” Emmett gave Bree a wink.

“I will, Auntie Emm,” Bree agreed ignoring Brian’s snort. Emmett put Bree down, smoothed her dress then brushed the invisible lint off of Brian’s impeccably clad shoulder sending them both on their way.

“I think this calls for a minor miracle from the fairy godmother,” Emm said to himself as he watched Bree and Brian leave the bistro. Emmett took out his cell phone to make some calls.



*****



“Well, it’s about fucking time you showed up,” Debbie griped as Brian and Bree walked through the gallery doors. She gave a Bree a lipsticky kiss then sent her off with a pat to her fanny. Bree was all too familiar with the gallery and took off to find her family members she knew would be there. “Our Sunshine was getting nervous,” Debbie admonished Brian with a kiss then a light smack to his cheek.

“Oh Maw,” he countered with his own obligatory kiss to her cheek. “The boy is never nervous in a gallery. You know it’s all a big act. He’s at home here.”

“Maybe, but he kept muttering that this show feels different,” Debbie said as she rubbed off the lipstick stain on Brian’s cheek. “And I have to admit, this does feel a little different from his other shows.”

“How?”

“More personal somehow. I remember some of his early work, especially the ones after the...” She hesitated to bring up the painful memories surrounding the bashing.

“Deb, that was a very long time ago. He’s gotten over it.”

“Some memories don’t go completely away. Did you know he included some sketches of the Fiddler?”

“No, but it doesn’t surprise me. He doesn’t often include me in his decisions of what to paint. I trust him. And the point of this show is to chronicle where he his head was at then, and where it is now.”

“True. But he thought he was in love with that snake and it shows in his paintings.”

Brian couldn’t say anything; he knew Ethan had broken Justin’s heart. So had he. “Deb, just don’t make a big deal over it, okay. It’s art and it’s Justin being honest, coming to terms with that part of his life.” Debbie nodded then dropped the subject. “Where is our little Sunshine?” Brian asked straining his neck to look over the crowd.

“Holding court over by that sketch of your dick,” she replied with a big grin. “He seems to think it requires special attention.”

“And so it does,” Brian smirked. Debbie rolled her eyes. “Some of my fans may want to abscond with it,” Brian boasted.

“Still an asshole I see. Glad to know that some things never change. And I thought he sold that sketch.”

“He did,” Brian answered too quickly.

“Uh huh,” Debbie snorted suspiciously but let that subject drop as well. “Well, fuck me!” Deb said as she stared at the couple who had just come through the door. Brian followed her line of sight. “Is this your doing?”

“Not me, but I sense the work of our fairy godmother.”

“He’s almost as good as you. Well, let me at the fucker. I’ll make sure he behaves himself,” Debbie said as she threw back her shoulders before marching over to greet Susan and Craig.

“You do that, Deb. You can also make sure I don’t kill him,” Brian added with a growl. Deb nodded then stormed over to Susan and Craig.

“Where’s Ma going?” Michael asked as he came over to greet Brian. Brian leaned down to give Michael a kiss then cocked his head toward the door.

Michael scowled. “What’s he doing here?”

“He is the father of the artist.”

“Yeah, but...”

“Let it go, Mikey. I need a glass of something,” Brian said as he grabbed a couple glasses of champagne from a hovering ‘waitress’. “Now, what the fuck is going on between Mel and Linds?” Brian asked Michael, effectively distracting his friend from Craig.

“She’s not coming back,” Michael replied with a sigh.

“Good. Now I don’t have to pretend to like the bitch. What about JR?” The girl in question was bouncing with delight as she and Bree, hand in hand, were giving tours to some of the patrons.

“I’m not sure. So far Mel hasn’t pushed for JR to join her. But I know Mel’s not happy with the idea of JR staying in Pittsburgh. I got a letter from Mel’s lawyer. Lindsay got one too.”

“Fuck! Is the bitch going to fight for custody?” Brian was about to pull out his checkbook. Michael knew the look and stopped him.

“No. I think Mel realizes that JR is old enough to make some decisions on her own. But Lindsay isn’t taking it very well.”

“I told her...”

“Bri, leave it alone,” Michael said in an uncharacteristic fit of wisdom. “Lindsay has to get over this on her own. You can’t fix everything.” Michael looked up into the hazel eyes that he had loved for most of his life. Brian leaned down, his forehead against Michael’s.

“I know Mikey. I just don’t like it when she hurts.”

“I know, Bri,” Michael whispered. “Come on, I heard the boy wonder has your dick plastered all over the walls again. You can give me a guided tour.” Michael chuckled.

“In your dreams,” Brian snarked.

“Yeah,” Michael laughed. Taking Brian’s arm, Michael took Brian over to the displays.



*****



“Hi, Candy,” Lacy greeted the girl who was looking a bit overwhelmed. “This is my partner Katerina.” Lacy introduced the budding artist to her partner.

“Are art shows always this busy?” Candy asked as she shook hands with Lacy and Kat.

“Mostly. But Justin Taylor shows are always extra busy,” Lacy explained.

“I went to one once, his ‘Old Masters’. It was on a school trip. I couldn’t believe how much he breathed life into some of those old paintings. It made me appreciate the masters.”

“I know what you mean. I never really appreciated those old paintings. I didn’t think they were very important until I saw them through Justin’s eyes. He has a way of looking at things differently. I guess that’s what made me want to draw like him. I could get lost in his drawings. I get the same feeling when I draw.”

“Me too,” Candy said with a sigh.

“Hey, it’s the Twins of Triumph!” Lacy said with a laugh as Tre` and Troi` entered the gallery. "Come on; let me introduce you,” Lacy said as they moved toward the boys.

“Okay,” Candy said shyly.



*****



“Is this your doing?” Brian growled from behind Emmett’s ear as he cocked his head toward Craig and Justin. Craig was being civil to Justin and he practically beamed as Bree jumped into hiss arms. She was peppering her gampa’s face with kisses.

“Sometimes, all it takes is a fairy,” Emmett sighed.

“Quoting old fag movies is unbecoming, even for you.”

“Yes, well, it just fit the moment.”

“Yes it does. Thank you.”

“My my my, Brian Kinney actually saying the words. Has hell frozen over?”

“Not yet. That’ll happen when Craig gets his head out of his ass and acknowledges what a lucky bastard he is.”

“True. Is that the young lady in question?” Emmett nonchalantly pointed toward the goth looking girl.

“I think so. I haven’t met her.”

“Lacy seems to like her. Maybe it’ll work out. Look, Lindsay seems to be in her element.”

“Mmm. I think when Sidney finally retires, the old queen will turn over the reins to Linds.”

“It’s about time. Lindsay can run this place with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back. She just needs a little confidence. I don’t think she got much of it at home.”

“No she didn’t. The bitch would only tell Linds what she was doing wrong. Linds kept a steady income streaming into their home. I don’t think Mel ever really appreciated Lindsay’s talents.”

“Well, now that the bitch is dead, so to speak, the princess can blossom into the queen she is.”

“Speaking as a queen, you should know.”

“Oooo, another compliment. Can my heart stand the strain?”

“Enough of this sentimental drivel. You got anything good to eat over there?”

“Oh my, Mr. Kinney expressing an interest in my food. Right this way, sire. I have some of my pear and blue cheese canapés with your name on them.”

“Lead the way, Honeycutt.”

“And don’t call me Honeycutt!”



*****



“Hey, little bro, nice turn out,” John said with a smile. The Kinney brothers were standing proudly as they greeted friends and family.

“Our little Mary Sunshine has done it again,” Brian retorted.

“As if there was any doubt. Any decisions about the girl?”

“No, not yet,” Brian answered not surprised that John knew all about Justin’s latest ‘project’. “We haven’t discussed it thoroughly.”

“Bobby and I will support whatever you and Justin decide. And I know you haven’t asked me for my opinion, but I don’t think the young lady in question will fit in at Edna’s Treasures.”

“Yeah, I’ve come to a similar conclusion but how do I break it to Justin.”

“Maybe you don’t have to.” John gestured over to Lindsay who appeared to have taken Candy under her wing. Lindsay was being introduced to a very tired looking woman that the boys surmised was Candy’s mother. “She doesn’t look so good.”

“No she doesn’t. From what I gather there’s not much more they can do for her but keep her comfortable.”

“Then let’s make sure the woman is comfortable.” Brian nodded.



*****



“Hey,” Justin said as he sidled up to his mate. “Sorry, I couldn’t talk to you sooner.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Brian assured Justin then bussed his head. “You’ve been a little busy. Looks like a good turn out.”

“Yeah,” Justin agreed as he scanned the crowd. His usual patrons were there making a show of fawning over his work; all claiming to be his number one supporter. “The Connelly’s are here taking pictures for the paper and interviewing the guests. Richard cornered my father.”

Brian snorted. “He must have loved that.”

“Yeah, bluffed his way through it. I don’t care, but Bree’s happier than a pig in shit that he's here. I didn’t realize how much she missed him.”

“It looks like all of her gammas and gampas are here,” Brian remarked. Joan, Claire, Steve, Jennifer, Seth, and Carl were all hovering close by Craig, giving him warning looks. “Your old man won’t get away with any of his shit while they’re here.”

“Thank the gods. What about you? You okay? We haven’t had this big of a show since London.”

“I’m fine, Sunshine. And you deserve this,” Brian said giving Justin a proper kiss. “Go, mingle. Do your artist thing,” Brian said with a dismissive smirk.

“Yes, your majesty,” Justin said with a smile.

“You’re the king tonight, I’m just your vassal.”

“My vassal, huh. Does that mean I get to order you around tonight when we’re alone?” Justin asked with a suggestive waggle of his eyebrows.

“Your wish is my command, my Lord Sunshine.”

“I may like you worshiping at my feet.”

“Then I will worship your feet, your lips,” Brian said with a kiss, “and any other part you wish me to worship,” Brian whispered.

“I love you,” Justin said into Brian’s ear.

“Love you too,” Brian whispered back as he gently pushed Justin away toward his fans. Justin threw a sunshine smile at Brian over his shoulder as he went back to his guests.

“You are one lucky bastard,” Emmett said coming up to Brian and patting his back. Brian could only nod.



*****



“Great show, isn’t it, Susan,” Debbie said as she walked up to Craig Taylor’s wife. “I’m glad you could get him to come here.” Debbie nodded in Craig’s direction. Bree was still in her Gampa’s arms with her own arms wrapped firmly around his neck.

“He didn’t take too much convincing,” Susan said carefully.

“I bet.”

“He just can’t come to terms with Justin and…”

“His perverted lifestyle,” Debbie supplied when Susan hesitated.

“He really isn’t a bad man,” Susan said defending her husband.

“I fucking know that, or that little girl wouldn’t love him so much.”

Susan nodded. “It’s good to see them together.”

“Yes, it is. Did you see Justin’s latest addition to the show?”

“What do you mean?” Susan asked with a puzzled look on her face.

“It’s over here,” Debbie said, leading Susan over to a small sketch framed and placed off by itself.

Susan gasped. “Is that Edna?” She studied the sketch obviously torn from Justin’s sketchbook. Susan remembered the stories Justin had told her about the boys’ trip to South America, the woman they met and who became so important to them. “You can see how much Justin loved her in the way she’s drawn … so fondly.”

“Yeah,” Debbie said with a big smile. “Do you remember the story about the night we drank ourselves silly?”

“I sure do,” Susan laughed, “although I have trouble believing it.”

“Believe it! She was some woman. She could drink us all under the table.”

“I hope I’m half the woman she is when I get to be her age, if I get to be her age.” Susan had a strained look on her face.

“Nothing’s wrong, is it?” Debbie questioned with a worried look on her face.

“No, nothing physical. But…”

“But what?”

“Sometimes I wonder if anyone will ever feel like that about me,” Susan replied sadly. “I feel like I haven’t accomplished anything.”

“Sounds to me like self pity,” Debbie stated. “And to quote the master, self pity makes my dick soft.”

Susan laughed. “And we all know you have the biggest balls in town.”

It was Debbie’s turn to laugh. “You got that right.”

“I wish I had something more fulfilling to do with my life,” Susan said softly.

“There are all kinds of things you could do,” Debbie informed her. “They always need volunteers at Vic Grassi House.”

“Craig would have a fit…

“If you were hanging around a bunch of fags.”

“You know what he’s like,” Susan tried to explain.

“Don’t even bother trying to defend him,” Debbie replied. “They always need volunteers for hospice care for non-fags, or at any of the hospitals.”

“Hm,” Susan said, “I’ll think about that.”

“And in the meantime, try to get that asshole to see his granddaughter more often.”

Debbie walked away leaving Susan with a lot to think about.

Chapter 3 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 3





“Hello, Craig,” Jennifer said when she observed that Craig had put Bree down and was standing looking at the sketch of Brian’s dick.

“You’re looking good,” Craig said as he dragged his eyes away from the sketch.

“I see you found the first sketch that Justin ever sold.”

“The first?” Craig asked with a surprised look.

“Justin entered some sketches at an art show at the GLC. He was just seventeen,” Jennifer said with a wistful look on her face.

“He drew this when he was seventeen?” Craig asked in horror. “And he showed it to the public?” Craig’s disgust was evident in his voice.

“At the GLC - it was hardly the general public,” Jennifer said. “Mostly gays and lesbians.”

“I’m sure they were very appreciative of Justin’s skills,” Craig said disdainfully.

“Or the size of Brian’s dick,” Jennifer laughed.

“How can you laugh about this? There’s nothing funny about it. And you knew! And you didn’t tell me.”

“Would your reaction have been any different than it is now?”

“I would have killed Justin.”

“My point exactly,” Jennifer replied. “And what would that have accomplished?”

“I should have killed Kinney when I rammed him with my car.”

“You’re lucky you’re not in prison for doing that.”

Craig scowled. “He deserved it. He corrupted our son.”

“Justin was a willing participant, Craig.”

“Christ, stop saying things like that.” Craig rubbed his hand over his face.

“Even after twenty years, you haven’t come to terms with the fact that our son is gay. How can you continue to be such a bigot?”

“I’m not a bigot,” Craig protested.

“What would you call yourself?” Jennifer demanded, curious to see how her former husband would answer that question.

“I’m a father who wants to protect his son from a sex pervert.”

Jennifer laughed. She truly found Craig’s answer funny. “Your son is one of those sex perverts too. There’s nothing to protect him from. He lives the life he chooses to live. Are you ever going to come to terms with that, Craig? You’re not protecting your son, you’re protecting yourself. You’re sticking your ignorant head in the sand. And you make your granddaughter miserable when you don’t see her for months on end.”

“I…” Before Craig could say anything more Jennifer walked away. She didn’t want to hear any more of Craig’s excuses and condemnations. She had divorced him to get away from those. Apparently nothing had changed, even after all these years.

She found Seth and got a much needed hug. She always needed a hug after talking to her ex-husband. She didn’t know why she bothered.



*****



“I’m really enjoying this show, Justin,” Claire McNally said as she approached the artist. “It’s so different from all your other shows.”

“Yeah, it is,” Justin responded thoughtfully.

“Your view of the world has changed so much.”

“You think so?” Justin asked perking up at Claire’s comment. “You’re the first person tonight to say that.”

“Am I? Well, I’m hardly an art critic, but it seems pretty obvious to me.”

“How do you think it’s changed?”

“I’m sure you know,” Claire said, a little reticent to explain herself. She felt she was a little out of her league talking about Justin’s art and what it meant, especially talking about it with Justin himself.

“I know what I think about it,” Justin replied, “but I would be very interested to hear what you think.”

“Okay, but promise not to laugh if it sounds too naïve or … stupid.”

“Nothing you’ve ever said to me has been stupid, Claire. I really want to know what you see when you look at this show.”

“Your sketches and paintings from long ago show such talent and ability. You really can draw so beautifully. But when you abstract the same things, they are so full of emotion and understanding and love. They brighten my soul when I look at them.”

Justin swallowed hard as he listened to Claire’s words. When she stopped speaking, he grabbed her and hugged her tight, fighting to keep the tears that flooded his eyes from running down his cheeks. He wasn’t able to say anything. He merely hung onto the woman who meant a lot to him, and who seemingly got him in ways that few others did,

“Justin, Justin,” Claire said gently. Her hand rubbed the back of his neck as she held onto him almost as tightly as he was holding onto her. “I didn’t mean to upset you? Are you all right?”

There was no response for what seemed like a long time, but then Justin gently released her, and blinking to hold back the tears, he looked deep into Claire’s eyes. “I … I don’t think I could have expressed any better what this show says about the way I was and the way I am now. Maybe one other word could have been included in your description. Joy! I feel such joy about my life and my art and the people I love. Even when something makes me sad, I know there’s joy on the other side of it.”

“That’s so beautiful, Justin,” Claire said pulling the artist back into a warm hug, much less intense than the previous one, but just as heartfelt. “You really should write a book.”

Justin laughed at Claire’s suggestion. “I think I’ll stick to painting my … Joy. Nobody would want to read what I wrote.”

Claire let go of Justin and examined his face intently. “They would, you know, if you wrote things like what you just said. The world always needs optimism.”

“I wasn’t always so optimistic,” Justin reminded her.

“Since I’ve known you, you have been.”

“You never knew me before Brian and I really got together.”

“Was that the difference?”

“Meeting him was the defining moment of my life.”

“That’s a lot of responsibility to place on one person.”

“Brian can handle it,” Justin said with a little smile. “We help each other.”

“That’s why you’re so good together.”

“Yeah, and it’s good to be reminded of that sometimes.”

“I’m always happy to oblige,” Claire said with a little chuckle.

“What are you up to, mother?” John asked, having witnessed the hugs and obvious emotion between his mother and Justin.

“Me? I’m just explaining Justin’s art to him,” Claire laughed.

“You’re what?” John asked.

“She was,” Justin agreed. “Your mother’s a very smart woman.”

“Don’t I know it!”

Claire gently swatted John on the chest in admonishment for his overly kind words. But she couldn’t help hugging her son too. It was good to be called smart and to be appreciated by those that she loved.



*****



“Craig,” Brian said, coming up behind the man as he studied one of Justin’s large abstracts.

“Brian,” Craig replied curtly.

“I’m glad you came tonight.”

“You are?” Craig asked in surprise. “I didn’t think you’d be any happier to see me than I am to see you.”

“Ordinarily I would have to agree, but tonight is special for Justin. He appreciates you being here, and therefore, so do I. To say nothing of Bree. She’s beyond ecstatic to see you.”

The set of Craig’s jaw eased slightly. “She is a wonderful little girl.”

“Yes, she is. I … I want to make a deal with you,” Brian said. He had decided he would do this, and he was going to go through with it. “If it will make it easier for you to visit Bree at our home, I could arrange not to be there.”

Craig opened his mouth to say something, but was momentarily at a loss as to what to say. He shook his head.

“Does that mean you won’t be visiting her?” Brian asked, his eyes turning into a glare. God, he hated this man.

“No, that isn’t what I meant. You’d do that? Vacate your home so I can visit my granddaughter?”

Brian nodded. “I believe that’s what I said.”

“Why?”

Brian heaved a sigh. “I thought you could figure that out for yourself. Bree loves you, although god knows why.” Craig returned Brian’s glare at that comment. “I want Bree to be happy. She wants to see you, have a relationship with you.”

“And you’d leave the house if I wanted you too.”

“That’s right.”

“That won’t be necessary,” Craig replied brusquely.

“Then you won’t be visiting Edna’s Treasures?” Brian hoped his voice didn’t reveal how disappointed he was, not for himself but for Bree. It had taken a lot for him to make that offer, but he had seen how happy Bree was to have her Gampa back for the evening. He wanted her to have more of that contact.

“I didn’t say that,” Craig stated.

“Then will you be visiting Bree or not?” Brian asked getting irritated by Craig’s less than useful responses.

“I haven’t decided.” Craig turned and walked away.

“What were you and my dad talking about?” Justin asked as he joined Brian.

“Nothing.”

“There was a lot of lip movement for saying nothing.”

“I was explaining relationships to your asshole father.”

“I thought you were the resident asshole,” Justin said trying to joke and lighten Brian’s mood.

“I’m abdicating that position and nominating your fucking father to take it on. As far as I’m concerned, he’s got the asshole market cornered.”

“Cripes, what happened between you too?” Justin asked with a worried look on his face.

“I’ll tell you when we get home,” Brian said. “Go, enjoy your show. It’s fabulous! Everyone tells me so.”

“Okay, but I want to know what my father did this time.”

“He’s not worth worrying about,” Brian said kissing Justin’s cheek. “I better go find our daughter, before she takes over the gallery.”

“You do that,” Justin said with a chuckle as Brian walked away. Then he frowned wondering what his father had done to Brian this time.



*****



“Dada!” Bree marched over to her father with all the authority of a seven-year-old going-on-thirty.

‘Uh oh,’ Brian thought to himself when he took a good look at his daughter’s face. “Yes, General Squirt.”

“Dada, who is that girl?” Bree demanded to know. “She’s been hogging JR forever.”

Brian squatted down to have a serious face to face with his demanding daughter. “I’m not quite sure. We haven’t been formally introduced, but I believe she’s a new artist that your daddy is sponsoring. She has some drawings on display for the Emerging Artists show that’s opening soon.”

“Oh. But why is she talking to my JR?” Bree asked so seriously that Brian had to conjure up every ‘I’m the evil cranky bossman’ attitude he possessed so he wouldn’t burst into laughter.

“I imagine it’s because she and JR are close in age. And your daddy said that she just moved here so she doesn’t have many friends yet.”

“Oh.” Bree thought hard about what her father had just imparted. Brian saw the baby gerbil in Bree’s head running on overtime. She looked so much like Justin that it was hard for Brian to maintain his tough exterior. “Should I introduce myself to her? I know lots of people,” Bree explained as she waved her arms in the air to indicate the crowd that surrounded them. She indeed knew many of the attendees since the boys made it a point to include Bree in practically every art show opening Justin was involved with.

“I think that would be very nice. Do you want me to go with you?” Brian offered.

“No, Dada, I can handle it,” Bree said confidently.

“I have no doubt about that. Remember, be polite and go slow. I think she’s a little shy.” Brian didn’t want to bring up the fact that Candy’s mother was sick. Bree would find out soon enough.

“Okay Dada,” Bree said lifting up her cheek to her father; Brian gave her a kiss. Satisfied, Bree marched away, a young lady on a mission.

“What was that all about?” Gus asked his father. He had arrived more than fashionably late and was making up for lost time by making the rounds before speaking with his father.

“Your sister was just confirming her supreme dominance over us mere mortals.”

“Ah. In other words, business as usual.”

“Yep. Welcome back, Sonny Boy,” Brian greeted his son with a hug, bussing his head. “Is N’rgy still in one piece?” Brian asked as he arched a brow.

“Yes, it is. As if you didn’t know.” Gus stopped to do a double take. “Is that Craig?” Brian followed his son’s gaze.

“The one and only.”

“What the fuck is he doing here?”

“Aside from usurping my title as number one asshole, he’s actually being a grandfather to Bree. For once in his miserable life,” Brian added with a grumble.

“Bree must be over the moon.”

“Yeah, she is and I don’t have the heart to take that away from her. Even if he does hate me.”

“I never understood that,” Gus muttered to himself as he got a soda off a tray held by a passing waiter. The waiter gave Gus an approving once over. Spying the father, Brian got his own approving once over as well.

“In your dreams,” Brian said almost reading the lascivious thoughts. The waiter pouted then moved off to another guest. “Bet he’d cream his pants if John was standing here too.” Brian joined Gus by a sketch of Brian cradling a baby Gus in his arms. The accompanying painting was filled with hues of green and blue. Brian got the symbolism of the blue representing baby boy Gus. The shades of green represented both he and Gus with their changeable hazel eyes.

“How can a father hate his own son?” Gus asked as he looked at the sketch. As much as Brian pretended not to be emotionally involved with baby Gus, the look in his eyes as he held the infant betrayed his true feelings. Brian was never just the sperm donor he pretended to be.

“Craig doesn’t hate Justin, he hates what he is. What we are. He can’t reconcile that he produced a homosexual. It still hurts Justin but not as much as it hurts to see Bree neglected by Craig. Your sister loves that asshole and doesn’t understand why he won’t visit her. I even offered to make myself scarce if he wanted to visit at the cottage.”

“Justin’s not going to like that.”

“Yeah, well, what he doesn’t know won’t hurt me, and Craig hasn’t taken me up on the offer yet. So I’m dropping it for now. How’s your mother?”

“Miserable. Missing Mama and JR, but she’s honestly glad that JR is happy at Uncle Mikey’s house. They’ve been doing lunch.” Gus made quote marks in the air as he said ‘doing lunch.’ “JR thinks it’s fabulous,” Gus said in a very Emmett tone as he rolled his eyes. Brian smirked.

“At least Lindsay doesn’t feel totally abandoned by her family,” Brian remarked.

“Dad, should I stay home this semester?”

“No! That’s the last thing your mother would want. No, she’s got to work this out for herself. As long as your mom and your sister see each other on a regular basis, Lindsay will be all right.”

“You’ll be there for her if she needs you, won’t you?” Gus looked into his father’s eyes for reassurance. Brian drew Gus into a hug.

“Of course I will,” he whispered into his son’s ear. A soft clearing of the throat made father and son break apart.

“Brian. Gus,” the woman said in an overly aristocratic tone.

“Mrs. Kingsley,” Brian and Gus said together.

“Sarah, please. After all we are family. What a wonderful turn out,” she exclaimed grandly, as if she was personally responsible for it. Brian nodded, wishing she would get to the point. “And I’ve been hearing wonderful things about you, Gus.” At Gus’ confused expression, Sarah went on to explain. “I was told that you were recently in New York and that you made a wonderful impression. Keep this up and you’ll go far in society. Oh, I see an old friend with Justin; I must speak with her. Kisses!” Sarah air kissed in the general area of Brian and Gus then flitted out of view.

“What the fuck was that all about?” Gus asked.

“Not a fucking clue. I was hoping you’d explain,” Brian said. “When did you have time to make an impression in New York City high society?”

“Ya got me. I was too busy trying not to get my ass fired. Although Ray and I did make an impression at his GLC,” Gus teased, waggling his eyebrows.

“I bet you did. Personally I don’t give a shit, but if THE Sarah Kingsley is happy then I guess it can’t be bad. Come on, I think we better find your sister before she convinces Sidney to feature a piano soloist at his next show.” Brian chuckled at Gus’ expression of abject fear. “Exactly, Sonny Boy.” Father and son went to go find the next Yanni.



*****



“Gampa, do you love me?” Bree asked Craig. They were admiring a painting of toddler Bree in the garden, standing amongst the summer blossoms. She was wearing a large protective sun bonnet and a pink dress. She reminded Craig of a miniature southern belle. Jennifer was also in the painting wearing a pale pink flowing dress, holding her own sun hat and gazing lovingly at her granddaughter. Craig felt a momentary twinge of regret.

“Oh course, I love you, sweetheart. Why would you ask such a thing?” Craig asked, but he knew the answer he was going to get.

“Because I don’t see you forever and you see Taylor more than me,” Bree softly whined.

“That’s not true, I...” Craig almost lied but Bree’s intense violet blue eyes stopped him. “Bree, don’t ever think that I don’t love you. I adore you but...”

“You still don’t like my Dada,” Bree whispered sadly. Craig had no words to offer. Bree spoke the truth. Bree’s eyes filled with tears.

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. I truly am. I wish it could be different but I don’t think it ever will be,” Craig admitted.

“Come here, Princess.” John swooped in like a knight in shining armor saving the damsel in distress. “Let’s not let your daddies see those tears. This is supposed to be a happy occasion,” John said as he lifted Bree into his arms, quickly wiping away her tears. “I think it’s time for Gampa Craig to say goodnight. It’s way past his bedtime.”

“Gampas have bedtimes?” Bree asked innocently, snuffling away any more tears.

“Yes, they do. So say goodnight to Gampa Craig, and maybe if he’s really good, you can make a date with him and spend a whole day together,” John suggested with a Kinney type glare that only Craig could see.

Craig quickly nodded. “I’d like that, honey. When I get home I’ll check my calendar. Gamma Susan will call you tomorrow so we can spend a day together before school starts. Is that all right with you?” Craig asked Bree, but glanced at John for his approval as well.

John nodded his head but continued to glare at the man. Craig knew when not to bullshit.

“Oh yes, Gampa!” Bree cried as she reached out for grandfather. Craig quickly looked up again at John for approval before taking the child. John handed over his niece but was prepared to snatch her back in a flash. “I love you, Gampa!”

“I love you, sweetheart. I really do,” Craig said into the soft strawberry blond hair. “I love you with all my heart; never forget that.”

“Okay, Gampa,” Bree said kissing his cheek.

Craig kissed his granddaughter then reluctantly handed her back to John. John’s expression softened just a bit as he took back his niece. They watched as Craig made it through the crowd to find his wife and then briefly say goodbye to his son. Justin nodded at something Craig said with a smile, and then watched his father and Susan leave for the night.

“Mind telling me how you performed that minor miracle?” Brian snarked as he joined his brother and Bree. Bree happily squirmed out of John’s arms to become hostess to her daddy’s show once more.

“You just have to know how to handle them,” John replied with a smirk.

“Them who?” Gus asked as he joined his father and uncle.

“Assholes,” John responded drily.

“Oh,” Brian and Gus said in unison.

A dropping of a tray startled the three Kinney men who all turned to see an embarrassed waiter slink off to the service area holding the tray in front of his crotch. Three Kinney eyebrows arched.

“I knew he’d cream his pants,” Brian mumbled smugly to himself as he slung his arms over his son’s and brother’s shoulders redirecting them back toward the main gallery. The Kinney men sauntered back to the crowd.

Chapter 4 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 4




“Are you okay, Mom?” Candy asked her mother.

“Just fine, sweetheart,” Janet replied.

“You look tired.”

“I’m always tired these days. You shouldn’t be worrying about me. This is the first art show you’ve ever attended. Soon you’ll be having one of your own,” Janet said proudly touching her daughter’s cheek.

“Yeah, I won’t be the star of the show like Justin is, but it will be great,” Candy replied proudly. “You’ll be able to come to the Emerging Artists show, won’t you, Mom?” Candy had difficulty keeping the quiver of fear out of her voice. The Emerging Artists Show was only a few weeks away, but her mother seemed weaker. Candy really wanted her to be able to come to the show.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world. You know I’ll be there.” Janet smiled fondly at her daughter.

“Hello, Janet,” Justin said gently as he approached the two women. “Are you enjoying my show?”

“Very much, Justin,” Janet replied. “I’ve never seen so many nude pictures.”

“Of one man,” Justin chuckled. “I guess I do draw Brian nude a lot,” he said with a sheepish grin.

“He’s a fine looking man,” Janet stated. “Even better in person.” She looked over where Brian and his brother were talking to each other. “Who’s the man who looks so much like him?”

“That’s his brother, John.”

“He’s a very handsome man too.”

“Yes, he is.”

“Justin, thank you for helping Cassandra get her work into the upcoming show.”

“No problem,” Justin assured her. “Your daughter has talent. I didn’t really do anything.”

“You could have prevented her from having work in the show,” Janet told him. “I wouldn’t have blamed you.”

“Mom told me a bit about what happened between you and my father,” Cassandra said. “I’m sorry.”

“It has nothing to do with you, Candy,” Justin replied. “It was a long time ago.”

“Yeah, but…” Candy started to protest.

“I’d rather not talk about it,” Justin interrupted her.

“Okay,” Candy said, knowing that this was Justin’s show. She didn’t want to upset him. “I’m going to take Mom home. She’s tired.”

“That’s a good idea,” Justin agreed. “I’m glad you were able to come tonight, Janet.”

“I am too,” Janet replied. “I will be at Cassandra’s show too.”

“That’s great,” Justin said. “You can be very proud of your daughter and her talent.”

“I am.”

“Let’s go, Mom,” Candy said taking her mother’s arm.

“Good night,” Justin said. He watched them walk away.



*****



“JR, do you like that girl, Candy?” Bree asked.

Bree and her sister were ensconced on the step that led from one section of the gallery to the other. It was the handiest place to sit and be able to see what was going on. They were sipping on sodas, and had just watched Justin talking to Candy and her mother.

“She seems okay,” JR responded. “She’s sort of intense.”

“What does intense mean?”

“She takes everything very seriously. She’s got some drawings in the Emerging Artists Show that’s coming up next, after your father’s show.”

“Will my daddy have paintings in that show?” Bree asked.

“I don’t think so. He’s not an Emerging Artist.”

Bree frowned. “He isn’t?”

“Nope, he’s an established artist. People pay a lot of money for his paintings.”

“They do?”

“Yes, that’s how your daddy can afford to get you pretty dresses and things, like the dress you have on tonight.”

Bree smoothed out the chiffon skirt of her pink dress. “I love my dresses.

“I know you do,” JR chuckled.

“But my dada buys my dresses, not my daddy.”

JR sighed. Sometimes it was hard to explain things to children. “Trust me,” JR said, “your father’s not an emerging artist. Candy is.”

“What’s an emerging artist anyway?” Bree wanted to know.

“Somebody who’s just starting out,” JR said.

“Oh, then that’s why my daddy isn’t one of those artists. He’s been painting forever.”

“Yeah, that’s right,” JR said with a smile. She was glad that Bree had finally figured it out.

“I saw my Gampa tonight,” Bree said happily. “He said he’d come visit me.”

“That’s good, but do you think he really will?” JR asked. She didn’t want Bree to get her hopes up only to find that her grandpa wasn’t going to visit her.

“He said he would,” Bree replied with a frown.

“I … just meant that he’s let you down before,” JR cautioned. “Don’t get too excited about him coming to your place.”

“Maybe I can go to his house,” Bree suggested.

“Yeah, that might work better,” JR agreed.

The girls looked around the gallery. Some people were starting to leave, others were just arriving. Bree and JR looked at the artwork on the wall just off to their right. It was the sketch of Brian with his dick hanging out, and beside it was the huge painting of the abstract phallus that Justin had done.

“I really like the colors Uncle Justin puts in his paintings,” JR observed as she studied the painting.

“Me too, but I wish he’d use more pink,” Bree stated thoughtfully.

“He’s really good at drawing. I like that sketch of your dada.”

“Me too, but I wish his head was bigger. Dada has a really nice head.”

“Yes, he does,” JR agreed, then she giggled. “Maybe we should draw and paint. We know better than your daddy what should be in his paintings.”

“I already draw and paint,” Bree reminded her sister. “But I use more pink.”



*****



“The show’s going … okay,” Brian said as he approached Lindsay.

“Thanks for the rousing vote of confidence,” Lindsay laughed. “It is going well. I’m really pleased with it, and I think Justin is too.”

“How are you doing?”

“As I said, the show’s great.”

“I meant personally.”

“You don’t want to know,” Lindsay said with a shake of her head.

“Yes I do, or I wouldn’t have asked.”

“How…how could she, Brian?” Lindsay asked fighting back tears. “How could she just leave like that?”

“Because she’s an uber-bitch. I always tried to tell you that.”

Lindsay had to chuckle in spite of her tears. “She told me you called her that right before our wedding.” That memory made Lindsay sad all over again. “We never would have had that wedding without your help. Maybe it shouldn’t have happened at all. It seemed doomed at the time, and now it is.”

“Where’s the doom? I see in front of me a successful manager of a successful art gallery who is the mother of two wonderful children. There’s no cause for doom and gloom,” Brian informed her.

Lindsay shook her head. “Yeah, but she’s out west with a new lover, and I’m stuck here all by myself.”

“I’m here.”

“I know, and I appreciate that you are, but the house seems so empty sometimes. And Gus will be going back to school soon, and JR wants to stay with her father. I’ll be all alone.”

“Then use your alone time for yourself. Do something you always wanted to do,” Brian advised.

“Like what?”

“Like … paint or redecorate or travel. Whatever the fuck you feel like doing.”

Lindsay looked thoughtful for a moment. “You know, you’re right. I think maybe I’ll do just that.”

“Good for you,” Brian said.

“You may live to regret your advice,” Lindsay laughed. She seemed to have regained her equilibrium.

“I doubt it.”

“Thanks, Brian.”

“You know I’m here if you really need me.”

“It’s about time I stood on my own two feet,” Lindsay stated with authority.

“I’ve waited thirty years to hear you say that.”

With a wink, Lindsay went to greet some new people who had just arrived.



*****



“Somebody’s tired,” Justin commented just as Brian tucked his suit jacket around Bree who had fallen asleep on one of the cushioned benches near a wall. He had taken off her little pink patent Mary-Janes and shoved them under the bench out of the way. Brian absentmindedly massaged the little feet like he did when Bree was a baby.

“It takes a lot of work being the hostess with the mostest,” Brian responded as he stood up. “She’s been queen of the gallery all night and then in emotional overdrive when Craig showed up. I offered to take her to the hotel but she refused. She’ll be fine here.”

Brian and Justin knew that opening night would be a long night so Brian booked his suites at the Plaza for the out-of-towners instead of making the long drive back. Debbie had also insisted on making brunch for the family the next day. Deb had spoken and no one was willing to cross her.

“She does look like a little princess,” Justin said more to himself than to his mate. He leaned over to give his princess a kiss on her forehead.

“How much longer do I have to put up with these people?” Brian grumbled. “I’m going to have a serious talk with one fairy godmother about his choice of help,” he growled then glared at another passing waiter. This waiter was making some serious eyes at Justin.

“Not much longer. Can’t take the competition?” Justin asked as he smiled prettily at the waiter while taking a glass of champagne.

“You know that bubble butt of yours can be spanked,” Brian murmured low into Justin’s golden mane, pinching said butt for emphasis.

“Yeah?” Justin asked with a lecherous smile. Brian responded with his own smile.

“Get a room!” Debbie commanded as she and Carl walked up to them to say goodnight. “Don’t you two ever get enough?”

“Never enough!” the boys responded back. Debbie and Carl shook their heads at the antics.

“I expect you tomorrow afternoon!” Deb said as she pointed a sharp, red nailed finger at them.

“Yes ma’am!” the boys replied.

“And Gus too.”

“Gus too what?” the young man in question asked as he heard his name mentioned.

“Tomorrow, brunch at my house. Bring you mother,” Deb said in a voice that would brook no opposition.

“Okay, Grandmaw,” Gus said.

“Good boy,” Deb said as she gave him a kiss then lightly smacked his cheek. She did the same to Brian then sweetly gave Justin a hug, a kiss and pinched both his cheeks with a “My Sunshine!” She then gently caressed Bree before Carl led her away.

“Why is it that we get a smack while Justin gets kisses?” Gus remarked at the disparity, as he rubbed his cheek.

“Must be a Kinney thing,” Brian mumbled as he rubbed his own cheek.

“Nope!” Justin announced knowingly, as he proudly walked away leaving the perplexed Kinney men in his wake. “It’s because I’m cuter,” he said with a slight wiggle of his butt.

Unable to dispute the facts, the Kinney men shrugged their handsome shoulders then rejoined the crowd.



*****



As the last of the guests and press were bid a fond ‘adieu’ by Sidney, Justin and Lindsay, Emmett and his crew were cleaning up. Toward the ‘Rage’ section, a heated discussion was loudly taking place.

“No! How do we know she can draw?” Michael grumbled, crossing his arms across his chest.

“Of course she can draw! The proof is right in front of you,” Lacy countered as she pointed to a ‘Rageian’ sketch done by Candy.

“But she’s a girl!”

“And what am I? Chopped liver?”

“You’re different,” Michael proclaimed.

“Oh yeah? And how am I different?” Lacy stretched her long frame making herself taller and towering over Michael.

“I don’t know, you just are.”

The argument continued. Katerina and Ben were standing off to one side watching and safely staying out of the ‘discussion’ their partners were engaged in.

“What’s that all about?” Brian asked no one in particular. He, Gus, Emmett, as well as Lindsay and Sidney, were watching the ‘show.’ Emmett had a small tray of the remains of the canapés in his hand. Brian picked out the last of the pear and blue cheese ones to pop into his mouth. JR pushed her way through the adults to translate.

“Lacy suggested Daddy give Candy a try at illustrating some of an upcoming issue of Rage,” JR explained rationally. The adults around her nodded. “Daddy has some objections,” she added.

“No! No! No!” they heard Michael huff.

“You’re just being pig-headed,” Lacy countered.

“They’re both pig-headed,” Brian quipped.

“Shhh,” Justin said swatting Brian’s arm. “You’ll just make it worse,” Justin warned him.

“Worse than what? A couple of children kicking up sand in a sandbox. They have to learn how to play nice, Sunshine.”

“They’ve been playing nice for years. Michael doesn’t handle change very well,” Ben interjected.

“Lacy has so many ideas for Rage but sometimes she feels held back,” Katerina admitted.

“Well, maybe it’s about time,” JR announced as she puffed herself up then marched herself over to dive into the ruckus. Justin followed her.

“Daddy!” JR screeched, sounding too much like Debbie. Many of the adults who had been subjected to the wrath of Debbie Novotny-Horvath, cringed in sympathy.

“This ought to be good,” Brian snarked with a smirk.

“You’re just happy you’re not on the receiving end,” Lindsay commented. “She has a lot of Mel in her too.” The surrounding adults nodded, mumbling their agreement.

“What is it, Honeybun?”

“Uh oh,” Gus snickered. “JR hates when Michael calls her that.”

“Don’t you honeybun me. Lacy has been the principal Rage artist for years and she’s come up with dozens of great ideas. She knows a good artist when she sees one. And Uncle Justin wouldn’t have wanted her included in The Emerging Artists Show if she wasn’t good enough. So what is the problem? Give Candy one of the minor characters to study then draw as a test. If she passes then she can expand the characters that she draws. This way Lacy can concentrate on Rage and JT. I know you still use a lot of Uncle Justin’s Rage drawings and that’s not fair to Lacy. She can draw Rage almost as good as Uncle Justin. Well except for one part of him.”

Emmett burst out into laughter. Lindsay blushed as did Katerina. They all found it very amusing, but not so Brian. Brian grumbled about only one person should be ‘handling’ his dick.

“Michael, JR makes a lot of sense, and if you had any sense you’d listen to her,” Justin added.

“Well, I...” They all knew Michael was about to cave in. “Maybe on a trial basis. And only one minor character, and I want Justin’s input as well,” Michael demanded as he acquiesced.

“Now that this show is open, I’ll have more time on my hands to work with you and Lacy and Candy,” Justin offered. Michael gave a small nod of assent.

“Very good, Mikey! We’ll make a businessman out of you yet,” Brian snarked from the safety of the crowd.

“Good, Daddy!” JR said as she threw her arms around her stubborn father. “See, you’re not that pig-headed.”

The friends and family all burst into laughter.

“Sunshine, you sure know how to throw one hell of a party,” Brian said. Everyone agreed as they all packed up to go home.



*****



“She all tucked in?” Justin asked Brian, while Brian was shedding his clothes. Then he climbed into bed next to Justin. Justin wiggled his way closer to his spouse.

“Yup. Slept through it all. She’ll probably be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I put out some cereal and snacks for her just in case. There’s a couple of juice boxes for her in the fridge. She has your appetite, Sunshine.” Brian smiled looking down his nose at Justin. Justin smiled back.

“What time does Debbie want us?” Justin asked with a yawn. It was close to two in the morning; they all had had a long and emotional day.

“Not before noon, so sleep,” Brian said as he tucked Justin in closer.

“Okay,” Justin replied.

Brian could feel all the tension drain away from his partner. The soft snuffles confirmed that Justin was already asleep. But Brian’s brain wasn’t letting up at the moment. A muffled noise out in the main living room of their suite caught Brian’s attention. Thinking it was Bree, Brian quickly grabbed his pants and went out.

“Did I wake you?” John asked when he saw his brother.

“I wasn’t sleeping. I thought you’d be out by now,” Brian said as he sat down across from his brother. John was sitting on the sofa, his laptop on the coffee table booted up. He was intensely scrolling through his research notes. “Couldn’t sleep.”

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked as he went to the mini-bar and poured himself a small shot of Beam. He waggled the bottle at John. John thought for a moment then nodded. He held up his thumb and forefinger to indicate a tiny amount. Brian poured John a shot.

“What is all that?” Brian asked as he handed the glass to John.

“My thesis research.”

“Do we get to call you doctor by Christmas?”

“Not quite. My advisors think I need to do a little more tweaking first. And they suggested that I don’t pressure myself with a December due date. It’s not like I’m in any rush. I’m doing this for me not because it’ll advance me in some way. Technically I could retire if I wanted to.”

“But you’re not going to.”

“Nah, I like what I do and I’m still young enough to bang in some nails.”

“Yeah, just like I’m still young enough to get my hands dirty,” Brian remarked as he looked down at his nails. “Getting peat moss out of my nails is a bitch.”

The brothers chuckled.

“What’s Bobby think about all of this?”

“He thinks I should take my time as well. He never understood why I put the added pressure on myself. I guess that’s why he dragged me away on vacation. I have to admit he was right. I do feel a lot better. You know it’s about time you and Justin got away by yourselves.”

“We just had two weeks on our own.”

“No you didn’t. You had two weeks of us being away from the cottage. You were knee deep in flowers and cow manure while Justin was going crazy with his show prep. That’s not a vacation. Sounds too much like work to me.”

“Where would we go?”

“I don’t know. Take him to Hawaii or someplace tropical.”

“Sure and have him sunburned to a crisp. A lot of fun that’ll be.”

“Think about how much fun you’ll have rubbing him down with sunscreen every five minutes.”

“That does sound promising,” Brian said perking up at the idea.

“You know you two are going to celebrate a big anniversary next year,” John said knowingly.

“We are?”

“Oh please, tell me you haven’t figured it all out?”

“I’ve been a little distracted lately.” Brian thought about the last eight months. It included a trip to London, a princess birthday party, a new son for Emm and Drew, a Jeep for Gus, two new enterprises for Brian, not to mention the separation anxiety Brian experienced when Bree went away to camp. No, it didn’t leave much room for Brian to think about anniversaries.

“Okay, let me spell it out for you. From what you and your blond bombshell have told me, he stalked his way into your life in the year 2000. Right? You made an honest man of him May 15th 2010. So that means next Spring...”

“Holy Fuck! Me and the brat will be together for twenty years!”

“Ten officially as husband and husband,” John teased. As Brian got up to pour himself another shot, John laughed. “So little brother, whatcha gonna do for your wedding anniversary?”

“Assuming I survive that long, that trip to Hawaii is looking mighty fine right now.”

“Then I guess my work here is done,” John said as he shut down his laptop. He knew he wasn’t going to get any real work done. He bussed his brother’s temple before heading for his own room.

“Um, you won’t tell Justin that I forgot our anniversary, will you?” Brian asked hesitantly.

“Hey, you didn’t forget. Now if it was May 16th and you hadn’t remembered then...” John said no more.

“I’d be minus both balls. Thanks, big bro.”

“Anytime, little bro.”

The Kinney men finally retired for the night.

Chapter 5 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 5






“About time you got here,” Debbie said as the Kinney-Taylors and Anderson-Morrisons entered Debbie’s house for the promised brunch.

“What’s got your tits in a tangle?” Brian asked with a smirk.

“You! And my tits are just fine, thank you very much,” Debbie responded.

“I’ll vouch for that,” Carl called from the kitchen.

“Eiw, TMI,” Gus said from behind the table where he was setting out the food that he had been told to get from the oven as soon as Debbie saw John’s Navigator pull up in front of her house.

“Thanks, honey,” Debbie called back to Carl. She placed her hands under her breasts and gave them an upward boost causing considerable laughter from all the guests.

“Maw!” Michael whined shaking his head. “Do you have to do that?”

“Yes, I do,” Debbie retorted.

“I think I just lost my appetite,” Brian snarked.

“Like you ever had one,” Debbie replied.

“I have an appetite for certain things,” Brian informed all and sundry, while giving Justin’s ass a little pinch.

“Pop, can we eat? I’m starving,” Gus asked deciding this was not going in a good direction.

“Can I sit beside you, Gus?” Bree asked as her family finally all got into the house.

“Sure, short stuff, you can use Grandma Deb’s ottoman. I’m sitting over there.” Gus pointed to one of the folding chairs that had been set up in the living room of Deb’s house. “Want me to fix you a plate?”

“Yes, please,” Bree replied batting her eyelashes at her big brother, before she sat down primly on the little ottoman beside Gus’ chair.

Everyone milled around Debbie’s kitchen table where all the food was laid out buffet style. Grabbing a plate, Michael led the family around the table while they filled their plates with toasted bagels and cream cheese, bacon, eggs. There was also a pot of porridge.

“I didn’t get you any porridge,” Gus whispered to Bree as he handed her a plate with eggs and toast and one strip of bacon.

“Thanks,” Bree said. “Gamma Debbie don’t make good porridge like my daddy or Hudson.”

“I know,” Gus said with a wink. “I didn’t get any for myself either.”

“You’re smart, Gus.”

“Thanks, I’m glad someone noticed.”

“I love you, Gus.”

“Thanks, short stuff.”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course.”

Bree gazed at her brother with those violet eyes. “I saw Gampa Craig last night.”

“I know.”

“He said he’d come visit me.”

“I know.”

“Do you think he will?”

Gus wanted to say that the asshole fucking better visit her, but he knew that wouldn’t be the right thing to say. “Probably,” Gus said hoping that would do as a response. “What did you think of that girl Candy?” That should change the subject.

“She’s … weird.”

“JR seems to like her.”

“She’s kind of scary. I don’t like all that black that she wears. She should have a pink accent on her outfit,” Bree declared knowledgeably.

“A pink accent?”

“Yeah, like a pink scarf or a barrette, like mine,” Bree said touching the pink barrette holding her hair back at one side.

“Where did you learn about accents?” Gus asked.

“From Dada. He said he needed the right color of tie last night to be the perfect accent to his suit.”

Gus chuckled and shook his head. “Is that right?”

“Yep.”

“So, you’re not too fond of Candy, Squirt?” Brian questioned his daughter. He had overheard Gus ask about Cassandra Hobbs, and he had tuned in immediately to see what Bree would say in answer to Gus’ question. Brian looked over at Justin to be sure that he heard Bree’s answer too.

“She’s okay, but she’s … strange.”

“You wouldn’t like to live with her?” Justin asked holding his breath for Bree’s reply.

“Un uhn,” Bree said shaking her head. “She don’t know nuffin about how to dress.” Brian chuckled.

“It’s not funny,” Justin said to his husband.

“Why are we talking about where Candy will live?” Lindsay asked.

“Her mother’s very ill,” John supplied.

“I didn’t think she looked very well last night,” Lindsay said. “They left early.”

“Janet tires quickly these days,” Justin said softly.

“Oh,” Lindsay replied, and then the full import of what they were talking about hit her. “Oh dear, I had no idea.”

“Candy’s pretty worried about what’s going to happen,” JR said with a frown on her face. “She told me a little bit about what was happening with her mother. Candy has no other family. She has nowhere to go if anything happens to her mother. I’d be really scared if I was her.”

“That’s just awful,” Lindsay stated. “No one should be alone like that.”

JR stared at her mother for a moment. “You don’t like being alone, Mommy. Maybe she could stay with you when…”

“Oh, JR, I don’t know about that,” Lindsay said quickly. “Besides, I’m sure her mother will be just fine.” Lindsay looked at Justin who merely shook his head. Lindsay got the message.

“It’s something to think about,” Gus piped up. “No point in you both being lonely.”

“I … I don’t know,” Lindsay stammered. This was not at all what she had expected when she agreed to come to the brunch.

“Just think about it, Mom,” JR encouraged her.

“I guess I could give it some thought,” Lindsay admitted with a wistful look on her face.

“Why is everybody lonely?” Bree asked feeling the strange vibes that were going on in the room.

Nobody was quite sure how to explain the situation to the little girl, so there was a long pause that caused the adults to squirm.

“I’ll tell you later, Bree,” Patrick volunteered, and they all breathed a sigh of relief.

“So, have you decided to let Candy work on Rage or have you changed your mind?” Brian asked Michael. He thought he might as well stir up another hornet’s nest.

“I’m still not sure about that,” Michael waffled.

“Daddy!” JR said forcefully. “You said you’d give her a trial period.”

“We haven’t even talked to her about it,” Michael protested.

“If Lacy was here,” JR stated knowingly, “you’d be in big trouble, Daddy.”

“No I wouldn’t,” Michael said weakly, but he knew he would be.

“Michael, you made an agreement with your daughter and Lacy last night,” Ben reminded his husband. “You need to honor it.”

“I know but…”

“There’s no buts, Daddy,” JR stated.

“No butts,” Bree giggled.

“Oh god, another Kinney and body part jokes,” Lindsay laughed. “Remember your un–pre-dick-table behavior when we were trying to get Gus into that preschool?”

“I most certainly do,” Brian replied with a smug look. “My dick-tion was perfect.”

“You are incorrigible,” Lindsay giggled.

“So I’ve been told.”

“And proud of it,” Justin added.

“Very proud,” Brian agreed.

“I didn’t hear any body parts, Dada. I was the one who said butts,” Bree reminded her father. She had a puzzled look on her face.

“Eat your toast, princess,” Bobby told Bree. “Your dada is being an ass.”

“Oops,” Bree giggled. “That’s a body part, Unca Bobby.”

“Right you are,” Bobby said with a mischievous grin.

“And Bobby has a very fine ass, if I may say so,” Brian interjected.

“I don’t think my husband’s ass is any concern of yours, little bro,” John stated.

“I admire all things beautiful,” Brian replied. “From afar, of course,” he added when he saw John’s glare.

“I think you’re all being dickheads,” Michael said suddenly. “We were talking about Rage. How did we get to Bobby’s ass?”

Brian sucked in his lips for a moment. “Care to explain that to your Uncle Michael, Patrick?”

“Only if I have to,” Patrick replied with a sigh.

“It’s all right, Patrick, I’ll explain it to him later,” JR promised.

Michael glared at them all, but that only elicited a round of laughter.

The afternoon at Debbie and Carl’s was long but leisurely with family drifting in and out until dark. No one had anywhere else pressing to be so it just seemed right for the family to be spending their time at Deb's. The boys had set up tables and chairs in the backyard to handle the overflow of people, and between Debbie and Emmett, there was an endless supply of food. At one point during the afternoon, Lacy and Katerina showed up bearing several fresh pies still warm from the oven. Debbie produced a large tub of vanilla ice cream from the freezer and for a while all that could be heard were “Mmmm’s” and lots of other happy tummy noises.

“Do those two always act like that?” Riley, who came with Danny, mentioned out loud. He nodded in the direction of Brian who was sitting in Vic’s old chair with Justin happily ensconced in his lap. Justin was holding a large bowl of vanilla ice cream. In between kisses he was feeding Brian.

“That’s no act,” Ben replied. “Just ignore them. We all do,” he chuckled. “I’m Ben, by the way,” Ben said reintroducing himself to Riley just in case Riley had forgotten his name.

“I remember. You’re the professor at Carnegie-Mellon.”

“The one and only or I should say, the one and only in this family.”

“You’re Michael’s partner.”

“Yes, I am. We’ve been together for more than fifteen years,” Ben said proudly. Riley had a wistful look on his face.

“And those two?” Riley cocked his head toward the duo making out on the chair.

“Longer than they care to admit.”

“It’s amazing that no one is fazed by them,” Riley said as he looked around at the family. Everyone just went about their business chatting in small groups, laughing, joking and sharing their latest news or gossip.

“They’re just being Brian and Justin. I guess after all this time we’re used to it. Except maybe for Michael,” Ben remarked seeing his spouse throw an occasional glare at the spectacle.

“And his problem would be?”

“Something that he should have gotten over years ago,” Ben said with a sigh. “Michael, give it a rest,” Ben gently admonished his partner.

“But there are children around,” Michael griped, offering that excuse.

“So what?” Emmett threw in as he passed with an arm full of dirty dishes heading to the kitchen. “We’re a loving family and our children know it.” Richie was right behind Emm with more dishes and glasses. He gave his adoptive father an adoring look.

“Some of us are too loving,” Michael murmured trying to ignore Brian sucking on Justin’s tongue.

“Give it up, sweetheart. You know those two will never change,” Debbie advised her son. “Just be grateful they’re not fucking in your old room,” Debbie cackled.

“Grand-Maw!” Gus and JR both whined in horror. Debbie just shrugged her shoulders then went to the kitchen to bring out more food.

The doorbell rang signaling the arrival of more family. Jennifer and Seth walked in with Joan. Emmett and Deb greeted them loudly then set out more food. Joan got big hugs and kisses from her grandchildren and then was spirited away to the backyard where they could pamper her and ply her with Debbie and Emmett’s treats.

After a while Bree came back in and climbed up onto her daddy’s lap. Brian groaned under the added weight. The family watched as Brian’s expression transformed from Brian Kinney lustful partner into Brian Kinney proud dada. Justin shared a few spoonfuls of ice cream with their daughter. A muted ringing of someone’s cell phone had everyone reaching into their pockets.

“Mine!” Justin called out as he looked at the display with curiosity. “Hello? No, we’re still here in the city. Why? I don’t have a problem with that. Hold on, let me ask, she’s right here. Bree, it’s Gampa Craig, he wants to know if you’d like to spend tomorrow with him and Gamma Susan.”

“Oh yes, Daddy!” Bree beamed a smile from ear to ear. Brian arched a skeptical brow as did the rest of the family within earshot. “Can I, Dada?” Bree asked her older father. Brian and Justin exchanged looks. Brian gave an almost imperceptible nod.

“What time should I drop her off? Okay, she’ll be there,” Justin said then cut the connection. “You have a date with Gamma and Gampa tomorrow at ten.”

“Yay!” Bree said bouncing in her daddies’ lap. Both Justin and Brian groaned. Then Bree jumped off to tell the rest of the family her good news.

“Well, Schmidt, looks like Kinnetik will be stuck with me tomorrow,” Brian said with an evil leer. Ted had just come in from the backyard to bring out more lemonade.

“Oh goody,” Ted grumbled.

“What was that?” Brian growled.

“I said, what a pleasure it will be for the staff, Boss,” Ted replied with a thin lipped smile.

“That’s what I thought you said,” Brian sneered. The family chuckled. “And what will you be doing, Sunshine, while I’m terrorizing Kinnetik?”

“I’ll think of something,” Justin answered.

“You could come to the gallery,” Lindsay suggested. “You know, be the artist at large.”

“The only thing large about Justin is his ass,” Brian snarked.

“Hey!” Justin scowled. “That’s not the only thing,” Justin pouted looking down at his crotch. “I never heard you complain.”

“Are we back to body parts again?” Michael groaned.

“At least they’re not discussing my ass,” Bobby quipped.

“No, just the Boy Wonder’s,” Michael complained.

“His ass is almost as legendary as my dick,” Brian declared proudly making Justin laugh. The family groaned then bombarded the two of them with pillows and napkins. Brian and Justin took that opportunity to console each other, both agreeing how under-appreciated they both were. Of course that led to another round of making out in the chair. The family promptly ignored them and went about their business.

“Lindsay, honey, how are you doing?” Debbie asked with concern. She had cornered Lindsay in the kitchen.

“I’m fine.” Deb gave her a poignant look. “Or I will be. Mel’s been remarkably civil about the whole thing.”

“Will you have to sell your house?” Debbie asked gently. The house became quiet awaiting Lindsay’s answer. Even Brian and Justin stopped sucking face to hear. Lindsay took a deep breath. It was pointless to try and hide anything from the family. She walked toward the living room so that she wouldn’t have to repeat anything.

“I received a letter from Mel’s attorney. Basically I can buy out Mel’s half of the house, but that means we have to sell the cottage.” Lindsay gave John an apologetic look.

“Oh honey,” Deb said putting her arms around the tall blond.

“It’s all right; the cottage was just a dream.”

“But you love that place,” Emm said with tears in his eyes. “Couldn’t you work something out?”

“It’s better this way,” Lindsay said with resignation.

“There’s another cottage?” Riley asked Ben in a whisper.

“Yes, not too far from Edna’s Treasures. John renovated an old toll house. Brian did the landscaping. We all thought it would help the girls become closer. But I guess the damage was too much to fix.”

“With the money from the cottage I can buy out Mel’s half of the house,” Lindsay explained. The family agreed with the logic. “I’m just sorry the cottage won’t stay in the family, so to speak. I am truly sorry about that John. You and your men and Brian worked so hard to make it perfect for us.”

“We can always build you a small getaway cottage on our lane,” Brian suggested as he gently pushed Justin off his lap to go to Lindsay.

“What a FAB-U-LOUS idea!” Emmett gushed. “He’s always complaining that there are too many hets on our lane. And Honey, once they know you’re back on the market, you’ll be beating them off with a stick. Oh this will be so much fun!” Emmett said jumping up and down, clapping his hands with glee like the queen he was. “We must make a spa date and soon. I know just the place, we can...”

Lindsay threw out a look of terror to the family as she was led away by Emmett who was determined to get Lindsay over this current little bump in her life.

“So what do we do about this?” Debbie asked the assembled family. “Doesn’t anyone but me have a problem with that beautiful cottage being owned by a stranger?”

“Deb, there’s not much we can do about it. Linds can’t afford to pay it off on her own,” Ted said reasonably as the family’s resident accountant.

“But that doesn’t mean someone in this family can’t buy the cottage from them and that way it can stay in the family,” Deb said as she gave Brian a look.

“Ma, that’s not fair to Brian,” Michael said having another logical moment. “He shouldn’t be forced to fix everything just because he can or has the money to do it. Besides, what’s he gonna do with another house?”

“This is your doing.” Debbie glared at Ben. Ben looked back totally confused.

“She means that your smarts are rubbing off on Mikey,” Brian explained.

“I mean nothing of the sort!” Debbie tried to defend herself and her son but the family all knew it was true. “And don’t change the subject.” She wagged her finger at Brian. Brian held up his hands in surrender. “We can’t let that beautiful cottage go to someone who won’t appreciate it.”

“Tell me about the cottage,” Riley asked gently, his curiosity peaked. The family turned to John.

“You’re the rock man,” Brian teased his brother with the moniker he gave to John during their trek through South America.

John began to paint a visible picture of the cottage, describing the architecture and the grounds. He poked Brian, forcing Brian to describe the landscaping including the grotto.

“It sounds magnificent. Do you think Miss Lindsay would allow me to look at it?” Riley asked.

“You thinking of relocating?” Brian asked hoping that Riley would become Bree’s piano teacher so he wouldn’t have to put up with Faith and her weird daughter. “My offer still stands.”

“Maybe, and no, I’m a piano tuner not a teacher. But I live in a studio apartment,” Riley explained seeing that he was now the focus of the family. “From what I’ve seen on your lane, the cottages that you’ve built are beautiful. I wouldn’t mind a place quiet and out of the way for the off season. I’d been interested in seeing it.”

“We all have a key, just call and one of us should be able to drive you over,” Brian said approvingly. “Bring Danny,” Brian added with a smirk. He wasn’t above encouraging a little matchmaking. Riley nodded with a smile.

“Now that that’s solved, what’s there to eat around here?” Brian teased, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. All of a sudden there were five plates with various delicacies in front of his face. Brian jumped back with a start. Riley gave a quizzical look.

“Brian Kinney actually wanting food; has Hell frozen over?” Debbie snarked.

“Nah, just found my appetite,” Brian said waggling his eyebrows as he accepted a small plate of various tidbits.

“Justin must be occupied,” Debbie observed, lightly giving Brian a smack to his cheek, while smiling fondly at her first lost boy.

“Are we back to body parts again?” Michael whined.

“Which body parts, Dada?” Bree asked as she walked into the room looking up at the adults with big blue eyes, eliciting laughter from the whole family and a huff from Michael.

Chapter 6 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 6






Justin pulled up to the curb to let Brian out so that he could go to Kinnetik. The boys decided to stay on at the Plaza while the rest of the Edna’s Treasures Lane and Bridgeton families went back home. Gus was using the loft as his home base before driving back to college.

“I’ll pick up you later; we can do dinner,” Justin said as Brian got out.

“Sounds like a plan,” Brian responded trying to keep up his bravado in front of Bree. Justin knew Brian was worried that Craig would say something to hurt their daughter. Justin was a little worried too.

“You be good for your grampa and gramma,” Brian said to Bree, gently kissing the top of her head. His eyes met Justin’s over Bree’s head.

“I will, Dada,” Bree promised as Brian kissed her again then reached in closer for Justin. The lovers kissed pouring their feelings into the kiss.

“It’ll be fine,” Justin assured Brian. “I’ll call you later.” Brian nodded then turned to walk down the alley to Kinnetik. Justin watched his spouse saunter to the former bathhouse then he checked the mirrors before pulling out into traffic. “We’re on our way,” he declared with as much cheer as he could muster.

“Yay!” Bree exclaimed bouncing in her booster seat.



*****



Justin took a deep breath as he knocked on his father’s front door. Bree bounced with excitement at his side.

“Come in,” Susan greeted as soon as she opened the door. Bree ran in to look for her grandfather. “He’s in the kitchen, Sweetheart,” Susan called after her. Then she gave Justin an apologetic look.

“He wasn’t sure if it was going to be Brian dropping her off,” Justin said matter-of-factly.

“Yes. After all these years, I still don’t know why your father harbors such resentment toward Brian. I’ve always found Brian to be polite, if not cordial, especially after I’ve learned what your father did to him. Brian shows remarkable patience and maturity. Something that...”

“That my father lacks at times,” Justin supplied.

“Yes. Um, would you like some coffee or tea?”

“I, uh, do you think it’ll be okay? I didn’t want to run out on her.”

“It’s fine. Come to the kitchen.”

Justin followed Susan into the kitchen. His father seemed almost at ease. Justin figured that Bree had told Craig that it was him that drove Bree over, not Brian.

“Coffee?” Craig asked almost cheerfully as he held up a fresh pot.

“Yes, please.”

“Are you in any rush?” Craig asked, making small talk.

“No, I’m going to spend some time at the gallery, but I have no set appointment.”

“Your show, the critics were very kind,” Craig said as he held up the morning papers. “There was a very nice spread in the Sunday Times Arts and Leisure section.” Craig pushed the special edition toward Justin. “Did you get a chance to see it?”

“No, but we were busy at Debbie’s all day yesterday. Sidney usually saves copies of every article for me, and the Connolly’s will have a copy for me.”

“The Connolly’s?” Craig asked.

“Richard Connolly and his wife Morgan. He’s the reporter and she’s his photographer. I met them awhile ago when he did a special story on me and Bri, um, Brian.” Craig choked at the mention of Brian but quickly recovered.

“You seem to know a lot of people in high society. Sarah Kingsley appears to be a fan.”

“Yeah, sometimes I think she thinks she discovered me. We just go with the flow,” Justin admitted at he stirred his coffee. “Um, what do you have planned for today?” Justin asked looking back and forth from his father to Susan.

“Well, it’s such a nice day and it’s not too hot, we thought we’d go to the zoo. If that’s all right with you,” Craig asked.

“Oh please, Daddy. I haven’t gone to the zoo since forever!” Bree pleaded.

“That’s fine, Baby Girl. I’ll go get your booster seat and bag,” Justin said as he finished his coffee, grateful for the task. He felt like a stranger in his father’s house.

“I’ll go with you,” Craig said as he grabbed his car keys. “It’ll be easier to just put the seat in the back of my car.” Justin nodded then waited for his father.

“Bree has a messenger bag?” Craig asked incredulously, looking at the miniature pink Dora the Explorer bag.

“Bree informed us a long time ago that it was essential to her wardrobe. Who am I to argue?” Justin said with a shrug and a grin. Craig noted that Justin’s wardrobe hadn’t changed much since he was a young teen.

“I take it that’s Kinney’s influence,” Craig stated without animosity. Justin nodded. “Well, I can’t fault his taste in clothes. He was always impeccably dressed even if he is a son of a bi...”

“Dad. Don’t,” Justin warned.

They got Bree’s seat tethered in the back of Craig’s car then went back into the condo.

“Bree, I’m going!” Justin called out. Bree came running to the door. “No running,” he admonished, wiggling his finger in front of Bree’s nose making her look cross-eyed. She giggled. Justin squatted down to give her a hug and a kiss. “Be good for Gamma and Gampa and no running around at the zoo. It’s too easy to get lost.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Bree promised. Justin looped Bree’s bag over her shoulder. She adjusted it just like her father did. “Love you, Daddy.”

“Love you, Baby Girl. Call me when you want me to come and get her. I’m not sure where we’ll be later today,” he said to Susan and Craig. “Have a good time!”

“I will. Bye, Daddy! Later!” Bree called out with her sunny smile.

“Later!” Justin said with his own matching smile as he got into his Cherokee then drove away.



*****



“Mom, are you awake?”

“Hm, sort of.”

“Are you okay?”

“Kind of tired.”

“I think you overdid it at the art show,” Candy admonished her mother.

“I don’t care,” Janet told her daughter. “I’ve never been to the opening of an art show before. I enjoyed myself immensely. I’m really glad I went.”

“I’m glad you went too,” Candy said sitting down on the edge of her mother’s bed. “It was nice to see you all dressed up and out with people.”

Janet shook her head and looked sad for a moment. “Sometimes I forget how hard all this is on you, Cassandra.”

“It’s okay. It’s not so bad.”

“That’s not what a girl your age should be saying. You should be having the time of your life.”

“Like you did when you were in high school.”

Janet chuckled a little bit. It seemed like too much of an effort to laugh louder. “I was something back in those days.”

“I bet you were.”

“You should be something too.”

“I am something, Mom. I’m exactly who I want to be,” Candy stated.

“But you should be going out on dates and going to proms and…”

“Mom, get a grip. Do I look like I’m interested in any of those things?”

“You should be.”

“Mom, I don’t want to argue. I just came in here to make sure you were all right. Do you want something to eat?”

“I can’t believe I’ve slept in again today.”

“It was probably the best thing you could do. You slept most of yesterday.”

“Cassandra, when…”

“Don’t, Mom, I don’t want to do this right now.”

“Okay, but we have to make some arrangements.”

“I can look after myself.”

“A girl your age shouldn’t have to look after herself. You should have a family that looks after you. If only your father…”

“Mom, I don’t know my so-called father, and I don’t want to know him. I’ll be just fine by myself.”

“I know you will, sweetheart. You’re such a resourceful girl.”

“I am, aren’t I?” Candy asked with a big smile. “I hope I sell a couple of sketches at the Emerging Artists Show. Maybe I’ll be a famous artist like Justin Taylor … someday.”

“I bet you will be, my beautiful girl.” Janet gently touched Candy’s face. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too, Mom.”



*****



“Are you ready to go back to university?” Lindsay asked Gus as they sat eating a salad on the back porch of Lindsay’s house.

“Pretty much,” Gus replied. “I’m ready to do some work at school, but I miss Ray. This summer was great. I got to spend so much time with him. It seems lonely without him being around.”

There was no response as Gus poked at his salad and skewered one of the little cherry tomatoes. He stuck it in his mouth and looked up at his mother. Lindsay was staring off into space with a strange look on her face. It was like her body was there, but she was somewhere else.

“Mom,” Gus said with worry in his voice. “Mom?”

“Oh, sorry,” Lindsay said sweeping her fingers over her eyes. “What were you saying?”

“I said I miss Ray.”

“Yeah, I was just thinking about missing people … and being alone.”

“Oh, I shouldn’t have mentioned…”

“It’s fine, Gus. We both know Melanie isn’t coming back.”

“I wish there was something I could do.”

Lindsay shook her head. “There’s nothing anyone can do. I need to get on with my life.”

“Do you think you’ll have to sell the cottage?”

“It’s the most sensible thing to do.”

“Sometimes sensible isn’t always the best,” Gus said wisely.

“In this case, it’s the only way to go. I need the money, I want to keep this house, and the cottage was to be our place, Melanie’s and mine. It would be … hard to be there alone. It’s best to sell it.”

“Riley seemed really interested.”

“Yes he did. He seems like a very nice man. If someone is going to buy the cottage, I think it should be him.”

“Do you think he and Danny do it?” Gus asked.

“Do what?”

“You know … have sex.”

“Gus!”

“Well, I was just wondering.”

“It’s none of your business … or mine.”

“I know, but they’re … so old.”

“But they’re not dead,” Lindsay reminded her son.

Gus chuckled. “True.”

“Anyway, I think they make a lovely couple.”

“You’re not dead either, Mom,” Gus told her, looking into her eyes and studying her face.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“JR says that Mama has a new … friend. Maybe you should think about finding someone too.”

“Just because your mother goes out and finds herself a girlfriend, doesn’t mean I have to…”

“I’m just saying,” Gus interrupted. “You’re still a beautiful woman. You shouldn’t be alone.”

Lindsay sat up straighter in her chair. “Thank you for saying that, Gus. I don’t know what the future holds, but I do know that I’m not ready for any kind of relationship just yet.”

“Fair enough, but what about this Candy girl?”

“What about her?’

“Maybe you could take her in, you know, when her mother…”

“Dies?” Lindsay asked. She shook her head. “No child should have to deal with that, especially when she’s all alone.” Lindsay drew in a deep breath. “Gus, I really don’t think I’m in any frame of mind to make such a decision.”

“I understand that, but Candy and her mom have some time left. I think you should consider taking her in here. Then neither of you would be alone.”

“Gus…”

“I worry, Mom. I don’t want you to be all by yourself.”

“I…” Lindsay couldn’t finish her sentence as tears started to cascade down her cheeks. She could no longer hold them back.

“Mom,” Gus whispered. He pushed back his chair and stood up. He quickly pulled his mother into his arms and hugged her tight. “It’ll be all right.”

“Everything’s gone, Gus,” Lindsay sobbed. “You’re at university, JR wants to live with her father not with me, I have to give up the cottage, and Mel…”

“You’re not alone,” Gus whispered in her ear. “I’ll be home as often as I can. Now that I have my Jeep…”

“You drive carefully, you hear me,” Lindsay admonished as she did her best to stem her tears. Her son didn’t need to be subjected to this meltdown.

“Even when you’re upset you’re in mother mode,” Gus chuckled.

“You young people need to be reminded.”

“Yeah, you, Pop, Justin, Ray.”

“Ray?”

“Yep, he told me he had an accident not long after he got his license. He hardly drives anymore, since that happened.”

“I repeat, you be careful!”

“I will, Mom.”

“You can let me go now, Gus. I’m not a blubbering basket case anymore,” Lindsay said wiping at her eyes.

“You have every right to cry. What Mama did was shitty. She blindsided you,” Gus told her.

“Gus, she didn’t blindside me. I should have seen it coming. We disagreed on so many things.”

“It was still shitty.”

“You’re right. It was totally shitty. Fuck Melanie Marcus!”

“Mom!”

“Just kidding, lambskin. Let’s finish our lunch. I refuse to let ‘she who shall remain nameless’ ruin our meal.”

Mother and son sat back down to their lunch.



*****



“Thanks for coming out here with us, John,” Riley said as they took the cut-off to Lindsay’s cottage.

“Not a problem.”

“I hope Bobby didn’t mind us diverting you from going home.”

“As long as you drop me off at Edna’s Treasures when we’re done, he’ll be fine with it. He and Patrick should be just about home,” John explained as he looked at his watch. “That driveway up ahead on the left is the place.”

Danny pulled his car into the driveway and they all got out.

“Wow!” Danny said. “This is beautiful. I love the way the walk meanders up to the front door, and the flowers…”

John chuckled. “You know who’s responsible for the front gardens?” he asked.

“Brian, of course,” Danny replied.

“Nope. Bree.”

“Bree?”

“Yeah, Brian was having a dickens of a time trying to figure out what was wrong with the front of the house. It just seemed wrong. He brought Bree out here one day, and she skipped along the path that the walkway now takes. She made Brian realize that all the straight lines that the cottage used to have were all wrong. The rest of the garden is Brian’s design.”

“He’s really got a talent for his gardens.”

“That he has. It’s great for him to use his creative side for something other than advertising.”

“I didn’t know Brian way back when,” Danny said. “But from what I understand, gardening has become a passion for him.”

“Next to Justin and Bree,” John said with a gentle chuckle.

“Riley, you’re awful quiet,” Danny said. “Don’t you like the cottage?”

Riley was staring at the front of the little house. The flowers were all blooming and it looked very lovely. However, Riley had a sad look on his face. He seemed to be somewhere else inside his head, and it wasn’t a pleasant place that he had gone to.

“Riley,” Danny said gently, touching Riley’s arm.

“Oh, sorry, I was just thinking.”

“I could see that. What were you thinking?”

“I was remembering how Tony and I used to talk about getting a place away from the city. I think he would have loved these gardens. They’re beautiful.”

John stayed off to the side near the car. He wanted the two men to have some privacy. John had seen that look on people’s faces before. It meant that some memory had been triggered, and it was usually a powerful memory – not always a happy one. He waited patiently.

“This is a beautiful cottage, but if it brings unhappy memories then maybe we should just leave,” Danny suggested.

“No,” Riley replied.

“No?”

“I don’t want to leave. I want to see the rest of it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Very. This is the kind of place we would have looked for. But Tony’s gone now. However, that doesn’t mean I couldn’t enjoy this place, especially if I had someone special to share it with.” Riley turned his head and looked at Danny for the first time since they had arrived at the cottage. He smiled softly at Danny.

“If you’re referring to me, kind sir, then consider it done. I could think of nothing better than spending time here with you.”

Riley pulled Danny into a hug and kissed his cheek. “John, let’s see the inside.”

“Okay,” John said standing up from where he was leaning against Danny’s car. “I should tell you that this place was really run down when we first found it. The girls made major upgrades. My firm was responsible for them all, so I know everything is first rate.” John unlocked the front door. “I think you’ll like the inside as much as the outside.”

Chapter 7 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 7






“Schmidt!” Brian bellowed from his office. A moment later Ted popped his head in the door. “Are we all set for the vid conference?”

“All set, boss. You want to do it here or in the conference room?”

Brian gave Ted an almost evil smile. “You know how much I like to do it in public. Conference room, let the staff in on it. They deserve to know our third quarter gains. They made it all possible.”

“Right away, Bri.” Ted scurried off to gather the staff and confirm the video link that connected all the Kinnetik branches. Brian was very proud of all his branches and the people running them. He gathered his folders together then joined his Kinnetik family in the conference room.



*****



“So what do you think?” John asked.

“Brian Kinney designed this grotto,” Riley said in disbelief.

John laughed. “Yes, he did,” he confirmed.

“Brian Kinney,” Danny repeated. “Did I ever tell you how I first met him?” Danny threw out to both men. John gave Danny an amused look as he shook his head no. Riley listened intently as Danny, using much of his Divina personality described his first encounter with Brian Kinney. John and Riley laughed when Danny admitted how he shamelessly flirted with Brian. And that above all, Brian was a true gentleman.

“Jeez, all I could think of was how hot he was sitting behind his desk dressed in his suit.” Danny began to fan himself, laughing at the fond memory. “And he put up with Divina.”

“It all worked out in the end,” John added as he put his arm around Danny. “Hunter and JR love you.”

“I am blessed. But enough about me. Mr. Riley, I do believe this cottage beckons for an owner who can truly appreciate its charms. And as Debbie hinted, you are part of the family now whether you like it or not. Are you prepared to render a decision?”

John and Danny gazed at Riley expectantly.

Riley wasn’t quite sure what to say.



*****



“Shane, you’re Kinnetik’s latest family member. You’ve been very quiet,” Brian observed.

“Wasn’t too sure what you’d be asking of me but I have to admit, you and your people have made me a rich man!” Shane McKenna, the head of Kinnetik Isles, honestly replied. Ted cringed.

Brian caught the twinkle in Shane’s eyes and laughed out loud. “You’ve been kissin’ that Blarney Stone, Shane, me lad,” Brian said with a fake accent.

“Aye, you found me out, Master Kinney. But in our business, we’ve all been kissin’ that great rock, now haven’t we?”

“I do believe you are correct. Shane, we’re all proud of the progress you’ve made. Your numbers have made my CFO a very happy man. Is there anything you need from any of us?”

The conference included Stacey from N’rgy, Scott from Part Deux and Joseph from Perspectives.

“Ni hea, you’ve all been so wonderful; it brings a tear to one’s eye. But now that you mention it, me and the missus could be using a vacation to sunny California. I hear it never rains there.”

“You’re always welcome here!” Joseph said.

“Then I’ll leave you two to work out the details. Ted, there should be a way of making this a business expense. Work it with them,” Brian commanded. “If that’s all there is then I’ll adjourn this meeting. Well done, people. Keep this up and it’ll be reflected in your year end bonuses!” Brian ended the conference as his staff on two continents cheered. Brian left the conference room and Emmett’s men came in with a special treat he had pre-arranged.

“Bri!” Ted called out after him, moving fast in an effort to keep up with Brian’s long legs.

“What is it, Schmidt?” Brian growled.

“Here!” Ted handed Brian a fresh popover.

“Thanks,” Brian said as they walked into his office. Brian began to tear off small pieces of the buttery bread and pop them into his mouth.

“It was a good meeting,” Ted said stating the obvious. Ted knew something was up with his friend and boss, and it wasn’t Brian’s dick.

“Yes, it was. You and Cynthia have done one hell of a job.”

“A compliment. Okay, now I know something’s not right. Spill or do I have to sic Emmett on you?”

Brian sighed. He was learning to share in his old, um, not so young, age. “Bree is spending the day with Craig.”

“Holy fuck!”

“Yeah, that just about sums it all up.”

“And how do you feel about it?”

“How do you think I feel about it? If he hurts her, I’ll kill him. But I can’t deny that he does love her and she’s so happy to spend time with him and Susan. I don’t have the heart to interfere.”

“You’re a very good father, Bri.” Brian gave Ted a self deprecating smile. “It’s true. Gus has grown up to be a very responsible young man. When he’s ready, I’d be proud to work for him.”

“You planning on getting rid of me?” Brian said with an amused arch to his brow.

“Not at all, Boss. But he is the next generation and we’d all be proud to work for him.”

“Planning to live forever, are you? You are older than me.”

“Ah yes, but old accountants never die, we mature like CD accounts.” Brian broke out in one of his rare fits of giggles. Ted smiled smugly.

“Okay, I get it. I’ll stop worrying about what might occur. But Justin might kill me if I really do retire and get in his way.”

“You can always open up another garden center, here in the Pitts. I hear Ben has to always re-edge their lawn,” Ted suggested.

“Out!” Brian pointed toward the door.

“Right away, Bri!” Ted scurried out but not before he heard more giggles from his friend. When Ted was safe in his office, he took out his cell phone and hit the speed dial. “Hey. Yeah, the conference went very well. It doesn’t matter how long Brian stays away from the office, he’s always on top of his game. No problem, you know I’d do anything for him. Bye, Justin.” Ted snapped his phone shut with a smile then got back to work.



*****



“Justin, my boy, so good of you to come in today!” Sidney greeted Justin with enthusiasm. “You remember Charles Higgins? He had some business in New York and thought he’d come here for a visit. We’ve discussed bringing your Then and Now Show to London when it concludes here. What do you think?”

Charles Higgins held out his hand to Justin which Justin gripped firmly.

“London hasn’t forgotten you, lad,” Charles commented. “Your Old Masters continue to be the toast of the art world. I brought with me a list of commissions.”

Justin remained in stunned silence.

“Sit, boy, before you fall over.” Sidney and Charles chuckled as they got Justin seated.

“I’m overwhelmed,” Justin managed to finally say.

“Why is that?” Charles asked. “You have loyal fans all over the world. The requests don’t surprise me at all. I just hope you have the time and stamina to fulfill them.”

“I have the time! Bree goes back to school soon, Brian is busy with his businesses and this show has been launched. I was wondering what I could do for my next project.”

“Then let this list be your answer,” Charles announced as he opened a specially bound file he had compiled.

“Leather bound?” Justin asked as his hand glided over the tooled binding. Charles nodded as Justin looked up in awe, his bright blue eyes sparkling with wonder. Sidney smiled to himself. Even after all these years, Justin managed to retain a certain amount of innocence. It’s what endeared Justin to Sidney and to so many others.

“They’re letters; very special letters all requesting a portrait or inspired painting from a very special artist,” Charles explained. “They warranted special handling.”

“And a trip from Charles, himself,” Sidney added.

“True. I did not want to risk this coming by post,” Charles remarked. “Look at the seals.”

Charles had not only preserved the letters but the envelopes they were sent in. They each had a royal seal affixed to them.

“Fuck me!” Justin gushed without thinking then he blushed deeply. “Sorry.”

Sidney and Charles laughed at Justin’s supposed faux pas.

“Not at all, my lad,” Charles assured Justin. “I had a similar reaction when the letters started arriving. Henry and I both agreed they required special attention. We responded to each request acting as your agent. We explained that you were in the throes of preparing for this show, but assured each applicant that we would personally take their request to you. So here I am. They were most agreeable and all stated they would wait with patience. Of course, you may want to give the Duke priority especially if the portrait is a gift for his father. The King is getting on in years, although his great-grandmother did live to see one hundred and his grandmother shows no sign of giving up anytime soon,” Charles said with mirth.

“Please convey to the Duke that I am honored,” Justin said formally. Then added in a whisper as he looked around for prying ears, “But I’m not painting that Camilla woman.”

“Heaven forbid!” both Charles and Sidney exclaimed; they all laughed. Sidney sent out for refreshments as the three of them discussed Justin’s projects.



*****



“They’re so … big,” Bree whispered. She was standing between Craig and Susan staring into the huge window that allowed spectators to see the polar bears swimming underwater. One bear swam right past the window. Bree jumped back reaching for a hand from each of the adults.

“It’s all right, Bree,” Craig said reassuringly. “They can’t get out of there.”

“I know, but…” The bears were awful big.

“You’re safe with us,” Susan said to the little girl.

“I know, Gamma Susan. How do they stay under the water so long?”

“I think their lungs develop to hold lots of oxygen for them to swim,” Craig explained. “The more they stay under the water, the longer they can do it.”

“Oh. I wish I was a polar bear. I could do whatever I wanted,” Bree said.

Craig and Susan laughed gently.

“I don’t know about that,” Craig said. “Even being big doesn’t protect you sometimes.”

“Why not?” Bree asked with a frown.

“Polar bears are on the endangered species list. They could become extinct.”

“What’s stink-t?”

Craig chuckled. “Ex-tinct. It means that there are only a few polar bears left in the world. They could cease to exist.”

“Oh, that’s not good,” Bree replied seriously. “Can we help them?”

“There’s not much the average person can do,” Craig said.

Susan smiled fondly at the little girl with the big heart. Trust Bree to want to help the polar bears. “Maybe we could make a donation to the World Wildlife Fund. They try to protect animals that need help.”

“Oh yes, Gamma Susan, let’s do that. Maybe my daddies will make a donation too.”

“I bet they will if you ask them,” Susan replied.

“Dad, Bree, is that you?” a voice called.

“Auntie Molly!” Bree screeched before she shook her hands free from her grandparents and ran across the square to her aunt.

“Hi, sweetheart,” Molly said bending down to hug her niece. “I didn’t know you were going to be here today.”

“And we didn’t know you would be here either,” Craig responded as he hugged his daughter.

“Hi, Susan,” Molly said. “You guys brought Bree to the zoo?”

“Yes, she’s all ours for the afternoon,” Susan told Molly.

“And how’s my favorite boy?” Craig asked bending down to pick up Taylor from his stroller.

“He’s just fine, Dad, growing like a weed.”

“I can see that. He’s getting so big, a fine young man,” Craig gushed as he kissed Taylor’s cheek.

Bree took a step back and watched her Gampa with Taylor. It was like Taylor was the center of everything. Bree felt like she had ceased to exist. She felt a big pain in her heart. Why did Taylor have to be at the zoo today and take her Gampa away from her?

“I hope we can babysit with this little guy really soon. I love seeing him as often as possible,” Craig was telling Molly. “I bet he has grown an inch since I saw him last week.”

I’m sure we can arrange something very soon,” Molly replied.

“Love you, Gampa,” Taylor cooed in his grandfather’s ear.

“And look how well he talks.”

“Yes, his vocabulary is improving. He’ll be enrolling in college next week,” Molly laughed.

Bree stayed silent, watching. The hurt in her heart seemed to be getting worse. Her Gampa loved Taylor. He had forgotten all about her.

“Bree, are you okay?” Susan asked as she spotted Bree’s sad face watching her husband and Taylor.

“I want to go home,” Bree whispered.

“But you were really enjoying the polar bears,” Susan protested.

“I want to go home,” Bree repeated softly.

Susan tugged on Craig’s sleeve and nodded in Bree’s direction. “She wants to go home,” Susan whispered to her husband.

“She does?”

“You’re ignoring her.”

“Oh. Um, I better give Taylor back to you. Bree and I have much more of the zoo to see. Don’t we, Bree?” Craig asked.

“I want to go home,” Bree said again scuffing the tip of her pink vans against the paved walkway. She refused to meet her grandfather’s eyes.

“But I want to spend more time with you,” Craig said as he kissed Taylor’s cheek and set the boy back in his stroller.

“You do?” Bree asked hopefully, finally looking up into Craig’s eyes.

“I do, so let’s go check out the elephants. They’re even bigger than the polar bears.”

“’Kay, Gampa,” Bree said happily. “Bye, Auntie Molly.” She held her hand out so Craig could take it.

“Talk to you soon,” Craig called as Bree dragged her grandfather down the path.

“They need time together,” Susan explained before she hurried along after her husband and Bree.

Molly watched them and smiled. She was glad her father was spending some time with Bree.



*****



Lindsay left the kitchen and walked into the dining room of her house. Gus had gone to the loft to gather up his things to take back to university with him. She was all alone in the house … again.

Her hand smoothed the cloth in the center of the dining room table as she came to it. She straightened the candlesticks that sat on top of the cloth. With a sigh she realized that the candlesticks belonged to Melanie. They had been inherited from Mel’s grandmother. Before long they would be packed up and on their way to Portland. She was sure Mel would want them back.

Sucking in a breath, Lindsay went into the living room. She looked at the furniture wondering how much of it Melanie might decide she wanted. Their lives had been intertwined for so long. And now…

Sinking into the big armchair, Lindsay let her mind wander. She pictured Gus’ bris, or rather his aborted bris. Brian had seen to that. A little chuckle escaped her lips. Melanie had been so pissed. But Lindsay knew that deep inside, she had been glad that Brian had arrived in time to stop the bris. Had she known even back then that she and Mel disagreed on so many fundamental things? Had she been deluding herself all these years?

Lindsay blinked hard making the tears go away. She refused to cry over what had happened. Everybody told her it was for the best, and maybe it was. That didn’t stop it from hurting though. She couldn’t help but wonder if Melanie felt any regrets. Maybe she was too busy getting on with her life to spend time thinking about her old life, thinking about Lindsay. Mel had a new girlfriend to think about.

Or maybe Mel had no regrets at all. Lindsay couldn’t help but wish that she could be cold-hearted like that. Life would be so much easier if she was. However, Mel didn’t have everything. Lindsay had Gus who still loved her and wanted to be with her. Melanie still had JR, but from across the entire country. Her daughter wanted to live with her father rather than with Mel. That spoke volumes about Mel. And it had to hurt. At least Lindsay didn’t have that hurt. She still had a good relationship with her daughter. Lindsay resolved to make more time for JR. The girl still needed a mother, and Lindsay was determined to be there for her daughter.

Lindsay turned her head and looked at the spot where the bed had been set up for Melanie to rest before JR was born. That had been a rough time for them all. Mel was so hostile and … cruel. Lindsay knew she was at fault. Sam Auerbach had been a huge mistake. But it wasn’t like Melanie was pure as the driven snow. She had had her fair share of indiscretions. There had been that girl Maryanne and Corinne, and who knew what others? Lindsay felt a tear trickle down her cheek. There had been a lot of bad moments with Mel.

Brushing the tear away, Lindsay remembered that there had also been good moments. Melanie’s proposal in the back garden. And Brian saving their wedding. And Gus’ birth. Being able to stay home with the baby that first year. Mel had done a lot to make that happen. Lindsay drew in a deep breath. She had had a good life, no matter what happened now. She refused to dwell on the bad things.

Looking at the couch, Lindsay remembered all the moments that had taken place on that article of furniture. She could see Brian and Justin sitting there while they discussed Brian giving up his parental rights. Lindsay knew even then that she didn’t really want him too. But she had wanted Mel to have parental rights, so she had gone along with pressuring Brian. It had seemed like the right thing to do.

And then there had been Gui. What a mistake that was! Brian had come to her aid once again, finally signing over his parental rights to get Gui out of the picture.

With a sudden shock, Lindsay realized that she had always “cheated” with men and Melanie had “cheated” with women. Although perhaps “cheated” wasn’t quite the right word for what they had done. However, those indiscretions or mistakes or whatever they were had led to this point in their lives. What did all those things say about their relationship?

She and Mel had been in love at one time. Lindsay knew that. She stared at the couch and remembered that day they had been using the vibrator, when the doorbell had rung. It had been Tannis and Philip, and they had tried to cover up what they had been doing, but they hadn’t fooled anyone. Lindsay let out a little giggle.

She shook her head and looked at the couch once again. A strange thought hit her. She and Leda had almost… And then there had been the three of them. That had been a mistake. Leda was back now and she had found someone to be happy with. Everyone was happy. Lindsay wondered how they all managed that. It seemed to elude her so often.

Leda had made a great success of herself, Lindsay knew. They had spoken a few times at Jamie’s shows at the gallery. Leda seemed to have her world exactly how she wanted it. Lindsay wondered how Leda had been able to get to this place in her life. She had been hurt when Lindsay and Mel had told her that they didn’t want to continue their threesome. But Leda had weathered all that and had come out on top. Furrowing her brow, Lindsay couldn’t help but wonder if maybe Leda could give her some insights into how she should proceed.

Straightening her spine, Lindsay walked with determination to the phone in the kitchen. She picked up her address book and looked up Jamie’s number. With a sigh she dialed.

Chapter 8 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 8






“You’re awfully quiet,” Danny noted as they were driving back to the city. Riley hadn’t come to any conclusions about the cottage other than agreeing it was perfect.

“I’m afraid I’ll say something wrong,” Riley responding coolly.

“We’ve put you on the spot, haven't we? I thought that might happen. I did warn the family that we shouldn’t try to pressure you or anyone else. I do apologize.”

“No need to apologize,” Riley’s tone softened. “The cottage is beautiful, built with such love and care. It would be an honor to own it. I’m just not sure if I’m worthy of it.”

“Why?”

“I have no idea. I’ve been such a gloomy gus for so long that I don’t know how to enjoy myself anymore.”

“Then take a chance and let me help,” Danny said with a coy smile.

“I think I’d like that,” Riley responded as he patted Danny’s leg. They drove back to the city in an easy silence.



*****



“Thank you for meeting me here,” Lindsay said as she gave Leda a private tour of the gallery.

“I was surprised by your call. I could have sworn you wanted to speak with Jamie.”

“I was a little surprised myself when I didn’t see Jamie at Justin’s opening. I know we sent out an invitation.”

“That was my fault,” Leda explained. “I put my foot down and made her choose. She could come to his or go to The Emerging Artists Show, not both.”

“Is Jamie all right?” Lindsay asked with sincere concern.

“Yes, the stubborn little bi... I’m sorry, not many people know but Jamie is pregnant.”

“Oh my, congratulations!" Lindsay blurted out then gently asked, "She’s not having problems, is she?”

“No, she’s healthy as a horse. Too healthy. The doctor says Jamie can do anything she wants to and Jamie wants to do everything. Which includes sitting on the top of ladders to work on her projects.”

“She is young.”

“Don’t remind me. I feel like her mother sometimes.” Lindsay chuckled. “Not funny. Now I know how Brian feels. How does he keep up with Justin?” Leda sighed.

“Actually, I think it’s the way around. Brian never seems to tire of anything he sets his mind to. No matter what people think of him, you have to admire his tenacity.”

“Stubbornness, more likely.”

“That too.” Lindsay smiled knowingly.

“But that’s not why you called...to discuss Brian, I mean.”

“No, it isn’t. Please come into my office,” Lindsay asked then led Leda toward the back of the gallery. Leda sat in a comfortable chair while Lindsay fluttered around with coffee cups. When she finally settled, she took a deep breath.

“Only the family knows this but Mel and I have split up.” Leda said nothing. She knew of their explosive on again off again past. “This time it’s for real. Mel moved out to Oregon and she has a new lover.”

“Shit!”

“Yes, well, she was never one to waste any time. She sees an opportunity and takes it.”

“That’s what originally attracted me to her,” Leda admitted. “Sorry, that was unkind.”

“No, you were just being honest and I appreciate that. I’m tired of fooling myself or looking at life through rose colored glasses. It's about fucking time I face certain facts. Mel and I were over years ago. It was just convenience that kept us together.”

“What about your house?” Leda had done extensive work on it to turn the attic into a studio for Lindsay.

“I plan on buying out Mel.”

“Sooo, why the call to me? You seem to have worked out things.”

“I’m not so sure; I guess I wanted your input. You’ve known Mel for a long time and frankly I’m surrounded by so many men that I’ve forgotten what it’s like to associate with women,” Lindsay smiled.

“I grant you that. Your family is a little one sided. You need to get out more. I bet most of your associates are either gallery related or are friends of Mel.” Lindsay nodded. It was true. She spent a lot of her time being Melanie’s trophy wife when it came to her law practice functions.

“Jamie says you’re still an adjunct professor at PIFA. She’s dragged me to many a LGBT function during the course of the semester. I’ve never seen you at any of them.”

“No, I could never convince Mel to go with me, and JR couldn’t be left alone.”

“What about JR? Did she go to Oregon?”

“No, she decided to stay here with her father.”

“So you have no excuse not to participate in the next function.”

“No, I don’t suppose I do.”

“Good, I’ll mention it to Jamie.”

“She will be at the opening, won’t she? She has a number of large pieces entered. The colors are so vibrant, so full of life,” Lindsay said with a serene smile. “Now, I know why. You’ve made her happy. You look happy too.”

“I am. Funny, I’ve always been on my own. It still hits me sometimes when I wake up next to her that I’m really not alone anymore.”

“I hope you appreciate it,” Lindsay warned.

“I do. Every minute of every day, I do.” There was a lull in the conversation. Leda stood up. “I’ve taken up enough of your time. I am sorry that your life with Mel had to end that way but maybe it’s the beginning of a new life for you. A life you can approach on your own terms.”

“Yeah, I think it is. Thank you. And please extend my good wishes to Jamie. She really is very talented and passionate. She'll be a great mother. You too.”

“Thank you, I will, and it’ll please her knowing you think that highly of her.”

Leda and Lindsay hugged then Lindsay showed her out.

“Is everything all right, my dear?” Sidney asked Lindsay as she stood next to one of the pieces Jamie had submitted. It was a smaller canvas of a young mother holding an infant. The gentle shades of coloring were truly amazing considering the medium was paper.

“It’s fine, Sidney. I think for the first in my life, I’m fine.”

Sidney gave Lindsay a little kiss to her temple. “I’m very happy to hear it. Now let me update you on our star artiste!” Sidney said with his usual flare as he took Lindsay’s hand and led her to his office.



*****



“Unca Dust!” a little blond whirlwind screeched as Molly opened her front door for Justin. The whirlwind launched himself into his uncle’s arms. Fortunately, Justin was very experienced at catching blond whirlwinds. They all laughed as Justin carried his nephew into the kitchen.

“I’m glad you called, Mollusk,” Justin teased his sister. “How have you been and why are you home? No work for you to do at Kinnetik?”

“There’s plenty of work and I love it, but I took a few days off to spend with his royal terror before Kinnetik gets inundated with work for the holidays.”

“Where’s Owen?” Justin asked as Molly passed him some toddler safe snacks for Taylor.

“Working.”

“Everything okay between you two. You sounded weird on the phone.”

“We’re fine. That’s not why I called.”

“Why then?” Justin asked suspiciously.

“I ran into Dad, Susan and Bree today at the zoo.”

“Dad wanted to spend the day with her.”

“Yeah, I got that but Bree became a little upset when she realized that Dad gets to see Taylor a lot more than her.”

“Oh fuuu...fudge!”

“Yeah, I know. I wanted to give you the heads up just in case the princess acts weird later.”

“Thanks. It’ll give me time to work on Brian.”

“Brian! Oh fuuudge!”

“Yeah,” Justin agreed.

“Fudge!” Taylor repeated as he threw a handful of crackers into the air then laughed, very pleased with himself. Brother and sister exchanged pensive smiles.



*****



“Hey, Sunshine,” Brian greeted his mate with a pleased smile as Justin strolled into his office. He sat on the edge of Brian’s desk. “Where have you been hiding out all day long?”

“At the gallery and I visited Molly.”

“How is your sister? I hear a lot of good things about her. I think Cynthia might be grooming her to take over her position.”

“You’re kidding. Molly doesn’t have any advertising experience.”

“Maybe not, but she has a way with people and she’s been picking up the business very quickly.”

“Wow. Does she know?”

“No. Molly needs more experience and maybe some appropriate courses. I’m leaving it up to Cynthia. Sooo, you want to blow this popsicle stand and get dinner?”

“I could eat,” Justin said with a giggle as his stomach concurred.

“Schmidt!” Brian bellowed into the air as he gave Justin a wink. Justin laughed as he rolled his eyes.

“Yes, Bri!” Ted dutifully responded.

“It’s been real, but I have a very demanding spouse and he demands that I...”

“Yes, Bri?” Ted waited for a lewd response.

“That I feed him. So I’m taking the old ball and chain to dinner,” Brian said with a smirk as he snapped his briefcase shut.

“Very good, Bri.” Teddy was truly happy for Brian. Brian had found true balance to his life and Ted couldn’t think of anyone more deserving. “Have a good evening, guys.”

“Bye, Ted,” Justin said cheerfully waving as Brian guided him out.

“Where do you want to go eat?” Brian deferred to Justin as they got into the Cherokee.

“Emmett Too?” Justin suggested. It was Emmett’s full service restaurant in the Village shopping center on the other side of town.

“Sounds like a plan. Drive on, McSunshine,” Brian waved a royal wrist toward the general direction of the restaurant. Justin laughed then pulled out into traffic.



*****



“There’s Riley and Danny having dinner,” Justin said as they walked into Emmett Too.

“I hope John showed them all the finest features of the cottage. I think Riley would make a not bad owner for it.”

“A not bad owner?” Justin asked with a chuckle.

“You know.”

“Yeah, I know.” They waved to Riley and Danny and then sat down at their table. “Should we ask them what happened?” Justin questioned.

“I don’t think they’d appreciate any pressure,” Brian said wisely.

“I wouldn’t pressure them. I just want to know what Riley thought of the place.”

“He’ll tell us that when he’s ready.”

“I know but…”

“Let’s get some wine.”

Justin heaved sigh. He knew Brian was right, but he wanted to know if Riley was going to buy the cottage. “Get me a glass of white,” Justin said standing up. “I’m going to use the restroom.”

“It’s that way,” Brian pointed. “And the path to the facilities does not take you past their table.” Justin made a face before he set out across the room. “Don’t do it,” Brian advised.

Justin headed directly for Danny and Riley’s table. “Hey, guys, did you get out to see the cottage today?”

“Yes, we did,” Danny replied.

“What did you think of it?” Justin asked looking at Riley.

“It’s a great little place,” Riley said in response.

“I thought you’d like it. Are you going to buy it?”

“I … I don’t know. I’m thinking about it, but…”

“We’d love to have you in the neighborhood,” Justin assured Riley.

“What about your husband?” Riley asked glancing over at Brian who was not looking happy.

Justin laughed. “I did say we.”

“I don’t know,” Riley said shaking his head, “about the cottage I mean.”

“Well, I hope you decide to join us out there. Enjoy your dinner.” Justin walked back to the table where Brian was waiting.

“Are you through shit disturbing?” Brian asked as Justin sat down.

“For now.” Justin picked up his menu and prepared to order.



*****



“You go up and get her,” Justin said. He pulled the SUV up to the curb outside Craig’s condo.

“What the fuck do you want me to go up there for?”

“Just go.”

With a glare promising death and dismemberment, Brian got out of the vehicle. A few minutes later he rang the bell at Craig’s condo.

“Justin, Bree’s just having a cookie for desser…” Craig stopped mid-word as he came face to face with Brian Kinney. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m picking up my daughter.”

Craig snorted. “She’ll be ready in a minute.”

“Thanks, and you can shut the door if you don’t want me in your fucking apartment.”

Craig bit back a retort. “Come in,” Craig said in a less than gracious manner.

Brian stepped inside and waited as Craig headed for the kitchen.

“Dada!” Bree called a moment later, as she ran out of the kitchen clutching a small plastic container of cookies. “I got cookies for you and daddy.”

“Yum,” Brian said facetiously, bending down to hug Bree. “Ready to go home?”

“Yep.”

“We had a lovely day,” Susan informed Brian. She had followed Bree from the kitchen. Craig apparently had decided to stay in the kitchen.

“That’s good,” Brian said. “Let’s go.” He took Bree’s hand.

“Bye, Gamma Susan. Bye, Gampa,” she called.

A terse “Bye” came from the kitchen and then the door was closed behind them. Brian held back his fury as they rode down in the elevator.

Brian got Bree strapped into her booster seat and they headed for home.

“I saw Auntie Molly today,” Justin said.

“Me too,” Bree replied. Brian kept his mouth shut.

“Molly told me.”

“She had Taylor with her at the zoo.”

“Did that bother you?”

“Kinda.”

“Why? What happened?”

“Gampa Craig forgot I was there,” Bree said with a sigh. “He always forgets I’m there when Taylor’s around.”

“What did he do?” Justin asked glancing in the rearview mirror to check how upset Bree was. She didn’t seem to be too upset.

“He kissed Taylor and made a big fuss.”

“And that made you mad?”

“It made me sad. I don’t like it when Gampa forgets about me.”

“What did you do?”

“I said I wanted to go home.”

“Good girl,” Brian mumbled.

Justin shot him a look. “What happened then, sweetheart?”

“Gampa put Taylor back in his stroller and took me to see the elephants. They’re really big.”

“Yes, they are. And you were okay after that?”

“Yep, we came home and made cookies,” Bree said with a smile. “Then Dada came to get me.”

“So you had a good day?”

“Yes, but I hope we don’t meet Taylor the next time we go to the zoo.”

Brian chuckled. “Are you happy with the story you got about today’s activities and Craig’s actions?” he whispered to Justin.

“She’s the one who’s happy,” Justin whispered back. “That’s what matters.”

Brian merely nodded.



*****



Some time later Brian went into Bree’s bedroom to tuck her in. He pulled the sheets over her little body and made sure she had grey bunny to keep her company during the night.

“Are you tired?” he asked as he sat down on the edge of her bed.

“Kinda. We walked forever at the zoo.”

“I’m glad you had a nice day,” Brian said sincerely.

“Dada, why am I a girl?” Bree’s face was totally serious.

“You’re a girl because … that’s the way you came out.” Brian knew that was a lame thing to say, but he didn’t know any other way to explain it.

“Why couldn’t I have been a boy?”

“Why would you want to be a boy?”

“Gampa likes boys better.”

Brian did his best not to laugh out loud. A little laugh did escape but he coughed strategically to cover it up. “Um, did you by any chance tell your Grampa Craig that he likes boys better?”

“No, but he does. I wish I was a boy.”

“Then you wouldn’t be my little girl, and I wouldn’t like that at all. Neither would daddy or Gus or JR.”

“Really?”

“Absolutely, one hundred percent.”

“I love you, Dada,” Bree said, reaching up for a hug.

“I love you too, Squirt. Sleep tight.”

“You too, Dada. Night.”

“Night, Squirt.” Brian closed the door behind him.

“Is she okay?” Justin asked when Brian joined him on the chaise out in the sun porch.

“She wanted to know why she couldn’t have been a boy.”

“What did you tell her?” Justin asked, curious to hear Brian’s answer.

“That she wouldn’t be my little girl if she was a boy, and I wouldn’t like that at all, and neither would you.”

“You are the sweetest man,” Justin said kissing Brian’s cheek.

“I have my moments.”

“And only you and I and Bree know about them.”

Brian chuckled. “I like to think that’s how it is, but…”

“The whole world knows your secret.”

“I’m afraid that’s the case, but they’re all too scared of me to admit that they know.”

“And that’s how you like it.”

“Yep.”

They watched the stars come out as darkness fell over Edna’s Treasures.

Chapter 9 by SabinaThymeSunshine

 

Emerging

Chapter 9





“Hey.”

“Hey.”

“You getting ready to go?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s wrong?”

“I miss you. The loft is so empty without you.”

“Yeah, I got used to you hogging the sheets,” Ray laughed.

“Me? I had to fight with you every night to get a piece of a sheet.”

“If you didn’t have such long legs, you’d have more sheets. And you snore.”

“I do not snore!”

“You’re right. It’s more like a wheeze.” Ray made a whistling noise trying to imitate that Kinney wheeze.

“Oh yeah, well you mumble in your sleep.” Gus made a mumbling, low grumbling noise trying to imitate Ray’s mumblings. The boys cracked up with laughter.

“Thank you,” Ray managed to say when they both calmed.

“For what?”

“For making me laugh. You always make me laugh. It’s one of the things I love about you!”

“You love me?” Gus asked with only a slight smugness to his tone.

“Yeah, you big mush, I do. Did you pack everything? Just because you now have your Jeep doesn’t mean you're driving back and forth cause you forgot a sock or something.”

“Yes, mother, I have everything,” Gus snarked as he rolled his eyes. “I also have a shitload of food packed in the back seat. They all think I’m going to starve on the drive up. And I can’t tell you how much Grandmaw cooked and froze!”

“You’re a growing boy.”

“And if I eat everything, I’ll be growing in the wrong direction! Um, are your ‘rents gonna let you come here for Labor Day. Dad and Justin are doing their thing.”

“Yeah, the dads gave me the thumbs up.”

“That’s great!”

“Maybe we can spend winter break together,” Ray ventured.

“I’d like that. Uh, Ray...”

“Yeah, I know, you gotta get on the road.”

“Yeah. I’ll call you when I get to my apartment.”

“Okay. Gus, please be careful. Don’t get all stupid on the road, okay? I really want you around for a very long time. Promise me.”

“I promise, Ray. And I don’t lie.”

“I know; that’s another thing I love about you. And your long legs.”

“I kinda miss all that mumbling you do.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah....shit we sound like a pair of lesbians!” The boys cracked up again then said goodbye for real. With promises to check in with each other often, Ray finally hung up and Gus finally set the alarm to the loft, locked up and went down to the Jeep.

“What!” Gus barked into his phone even before he got the chance to turn the ignition.

“Whoa there, Sonny Boy. No need to bite my head off,” Brian said to his son.

“I’m sorry, Pop. Everyone’s been calling me, ya know?”

“Yeah, I know. When I was about to leave for Penn, Deb cried for a week then she cooked up a storm. I was going by bus and had no clue how get all her shit on the bus.”

“Yeah, well, she hasn’t changed. I have half her kitchen in the back seat. Lacy threw some lemon bars at me and I won’t even go into what Emm cooked.” Brian laughed at Gus’ put upon griping.

“They love you, Sonny Boy.”

“I know they do, Pop. It’s kinda nice except my new car smell is turning into Debbie’s lasagna smell!” The Kinney men cracked up into similar giggles.

“I love you, Sonny Boy. You drive carefully.”

“I will, Pop. And Pop?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you.”

“For what?”

“The summer, the Jeep, everything.”

“Gus, I...”

“I know, Pop. I love you too. You’re the bestest Pop in the whole fucking world.”

Brian choked for a moment then found his voice. “Call me when you get there,” he commanded.

“I will.”

“Promise me, no stupid shit.”

“No stupid shit, I promise and I...”

“I know. Now get the fuck going. At this rate you won’t get there until tomorrow.”

Gus laughed. “I’m goin’! I’m goin’! Shit, you’d think you were trying to get rid of me or somethin’.”

“Never, Sonny Boy. And don’t forget to call your mother.”

“I will. Later, Pop.”

“Later.” Then Gus was finally off.



*****



“Ms. Peterson, thank you for seeing me.”

“Thank you for meeting me here. Justin’s show has been so well received that we’ve been working double time to keep up with the sales and portrait requests,” Lindsay explained as she showed Riley through the gallery. “Have you seen his work?” she asked as she gave him an impromptu tour.

“I caught a glimpse of his work when I spent time at their cottage. He is quite remarkable.”

“Yes he is. But I get the feeling you’re not here to discuss Justin’s work.”

“No, I’m not, although I may want to purchase a small painting. His garden scenes are magnificent. So full of life.” Riley paused in front a painting that was obviously done of Brian in the cottage gardens. Brian was standing with a small spade in his hand, wiping the sweat off his brow. The sun was shining brightly, making the sweat on Brian’s arms sparkle. Riley could see each muscle defined. Riley shook himself. Brian was certainly a stunning man, but it was the obvious way that he was so lovingly painted that made his attributes even more beautiful.

“I was hoping to discuss your cottage. If you haven’t found a buyer yet, I’d like to make an offer,” Riley said as he walked over to another picture. It was a sketch of a pretty little girl. Riley could see a family resemblance to Justin and Jennifer and surmised that the girl must be a young Molly.

“My ex-partner will be in town in a couple of weeks. I can bring your offer to the table.”

“I’m in no rush and more than willing to work with you and her, within reason, of course.”

“Of course. Mr. Riley...”

“Just Riley.”

“Riley, I have to warn you that Melanie can sometimes be a bit...”

“Set in her ways?” Riley offered.

“That’s putting it politely. I was going to say pig-headed.”

“I’d like to believe I’m a fair man. This is my offer,” Riley handed Lindsay a folded paper. “Discuss it with Ms. Marcus and let me know. As I said, I’m in no rush and I have the ability to be flexible.”

Lindsay glanced at the written figure. “This is more than generous.”

“My tour guides were very persuasive,” Riley said with a small smile. “And I wanted you to know that my offer is a serious one.” Lindsay agreed. “Thank you for seeing me, I’ll let you get back to your work.”

“Thank you, and thank you for the offer. If the decision was totally up to me, I’d agree to it immediately but...”

“I completely understand. Let me know when Ms. Marcus is available, and we can discuss it further.” Riley handed Lindsay his business card.

“I will.”

“Do you think I could linger for a while to...” Riley waved his hand at Justin’s exhibit.

“Please do. I’ll let security know. They’ll let you out.”

“Thank you.” As Lindsay went back to work, Riley slowly took in the exhibit. “Hello,” Riley said to a young lady sitting on a stool. She was studying one of Justin’s portraits of Bree then trying to adapt the style to her own. She had a photograph clipped to a corner of her sketchbook. “That’s very nice.”

“You think so?” The girl looked up from her pad.

“Yes, I do. I’m Riley,” he extended his hand.

“Candy,” the girl responded then politely shook his hand. “I’m trying to draw my mother.”

“She’s very pretty.”

“Thank you, are you an artist?”

“In a way. I used to play the piano but now I just tune them,” Riley explained at Candy’s perplexed look.

“Oh. What are you doing here?” she asked, slightly suspicious.

“I had an appointment with Ms. Peterson. Do you know her?”

“Yes,” Candy responded calmly. “She helped me to get some of my stuff into the Emerging Artists Show.”

“May I see your work?”

“Really?”

“Yes. I’m buying a new house and I’m thinking of filling it with paintings.”

“I don’t think I’m good enough for that yet,” Candy said as she hopped down from her stool to show Riley her small corner of the gallery.

“These are wonderful. You do have talent.” He seemed genuinely pleased.

“You’re not just saying that. Because a lot of people say things like that to be nice. I want honest opinions.”

“I couldn’t agree more. Honesty is always the best policy. And no, I’m not just saying that. You have raw talent, with more practice you can make something of yourself.”

“I’ve been told some of my stuff is a little dark.”

“Maybe, but we all go through a dark period in our lives. You’re fortunate to have an outlet to express it. When the period ends it’ll also be reflected in your art.”

“No one’s ever said anything like that to me before. You must understand.” Riley nodded. He did understand. After more than twenty years, his own darkness was finally lifting.

“Let me show you something,” Riley said as he led Candy to Justin’s exhibit, specifically the time just after the bashing when he was trying to find his reason for drawing again. “Do you see it?” Riley asked.

“The darkness?” Riley nodded at Candy’s question. She could see the pain.

“Now look at this one.” Riley pointed to a portrait of Brian and baby Bree asleep together on a brass bed surrounded by a myriad of bright flowers. “He made it through his darkness. It makes his happiness all the brighter.”

“But what if the darkness never ends,” Candy said softly.

“It does. I promise you, it will end. You just have to hang on long enough and let people you trust help you.”

“You sound like you lost someone very special.”

“I did, and I’m just finding out that there is life after.”

“Is she nice?” Candy asked in all innocence. Riley chuckled.

“Yes, she is. Very nice.”

“That’s good. My mother is very sick.”

“I’m so sorry. Your father...”

“I don’t have one or one that wants me. But Justin and his family have all been so nice, and they keep telling me that I won’t be all alone and...” A few tears slipped down Candy’s cheeks. Riley put his arm around her.

“I recently spent some time with Justin and his family. I was tuning his daughter’s piano. Do you want to know what I learned while I was there?” Candy nodded. “I learned that Justin is a very remarkable and very honest young man. If he says that you won’t be alone then you can believe him. His family is very strong and close. If you’ve been ‘adopted’ by them then you’ll never be alone.”

“Did they adopt you?”

Riley laughed at her question. “Yes, do I believe they have. They certainly don’t let me alone,” he chuckled, remembering the brunch at Debbie’s and the good natured scrutiny he received. “Miss Candy, when you’re ready and when I buy my new house I’d be honored if you’d paint a very special portrait for me.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.”

“Of your old love or your new?” she asked with the wisdom of a romantic.

“Good question, I’m not sure. I never want to forget my first true love, but the person I’m seeing has breathed such new life into me that it’s important to honor that too. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. In any event, I want a painting from you. And I’ll be sure to attend your show.”

“Thank you!” Candy said as Riley walked her back to her perch. “Bye! Mr. Riley.”

“Bye, Miss Candy, it was a pleasure meeting you,” Riley said with a handsome smile. As he left the gallery, he felt lighter than he had in years.



*****



“Dada, do I hafta go to school soon?”

“Yes, Squirt, you do,” Brian answered with a parental arch of his brow. He was leaning over the balcony railing looking down at the porch. Bree was in the sun porch painting at her easel. Justin was at one of his easels as well, suddenly inspired to paint Bree as she concentrated on her painting. Brian was amused at their matching expressions.

“Oh. Will I be in a special class again?”

“According to your report card you will be.”

“Oh. I’m going to Unca John’s school?”

“Uncle John’s school?” Brian asked not quite sure which school Bree was referring too.

“You know the one that Unca John built.”

“Oh that one. Yes, you and Patrick will be going there. And I think Ashley’s mother will be teaching there this year.”

“Yay!” Bree jumped up and down then suddenly stopped when she realized something.

“What?” Justin looked up from his easel when he noticed the change in Bree’s demeanor.

“That means Winona will be there too,” Bree said with a sigh.

“I imagine she will be,” Justin chuckled then laughed when he looked up at Brian. Brian scrambled back to the safety of his office at the thought of running into Mrs. Vanderbrot. “We have hours more of light; let’s get back to work,” Justin suggested.

“Okay, Daddy!” Bree said cheerfully as the artistic pair picked up their brushes. “Can we invite Ashley and her mommy to our barbecue?”

“Excellent idea! I’ll call them later.”

“Maybe Winona and her mommy too,” Bree generously added.

“Maybe,” Justin said loud enough for the grump to hear.

They conveniently ignored the muffled cursing coming from above them.



*****



“Did you get my itinerary?”

“Yes.”

“Does it work for you?”

“I can make myself available.”

“Are you busy?”

“Incredibly.”

“Really.”

“Yes, Mel, really. Why is it that you still think only you can be busy? I work very hard at what I do and I’ve been asked to lecture this semester. I am biz-zy!” Lindsay stressed over the phone. She let the uncomfortable silence hang in the air, patiently waiting for Melanie to make the next move. Lindsay heard Mel clear here throat before speaking.

“So have you found a buyer for the cottage?” Mel asked as if Lindsay wasn’t capable of handling any of their finances. Mel had taken on that responsibility when they were together and couldn’t believe that Lindsay wasn’t constantly on the phone with questions.

“As a matter of fact I received a very generous offer the other day. The proposal will be waiting for you when we meet.”

“Really?” Mel asked incredulously.

‘No, Riley,’ Lindsay thought to herself then laughed out loud at her own joke.

“What’s so funny?” Mel grumbled.

“Nothing, just something I saw in the article I’m reading. Sorry.” Lindsay coughed. “Did you speak with JR lately?”

“One day last week; she seems happy. She’s looking forward to school.”

“Yes, we went shopping for clothes yesterday. Oh my gosh! What the teens are wearing this year … or not.” Lindsay laughed. “She tried to convince me that this peep-holed blouse was practically the school uniform.”

“I hope you didn’t let her get away with it!” Mel said ready for a fight.

“Of course not, but we compromised on her jeans. I even got her to shop at the vintage shoppe.”

“Well, I guess...”

“And Gus, did he call you from Penn?” Lindsay cut Mel off before she could complain.

“Yes. So the asshole got him the Jeep,” Mel said smugly.

“No, we all got Gus the Jeep just like we all agreed at his birthday last year. He received his ‘Fur Harry’ for keeping up his grades, passing his driving course and for working at Kinnetik. He deserved it.”

“I guess so,” Mel said sadly. She was realizing that life was moving on whether she was there or not. And Lindsay almost sounded happy. “How are you doing?” Mel surprised Lindsay and herself with the question.

Lindsay thought about it for a moment. “I can honestly say that I’m okay. More than okay. I may not be ecstatically happy over our situation but I can see it’s for the best. It’s time we moved on with our lives. I’m glad you’ve found someone, Mel. I truly am.”

“How did you know?”

“Come on, Mel. I’m not that naive. You’re a beautiful woman and the phone lines are very clear. I can hear her when you call.”

“Oh. Have you been seeing anyone? Not that it’s any of my business.”

“No, it isn’t, but no, I’m not seeing anyone at the moment. I’ve had a few offers but I’m taking the time to find me. When I’ve done that and when we get all of our stuff settled then I’ll think about dating. But for now, I’m content.”

“Yes, you are, I can hear it in your voice.”

Lindsay let the silence stretch on again. It felt empowering somehow.

“I imagine it’s getting late there. I’ll let you get some sleep.”

“All right.”

“I’ll call you when my plane lands.”

“That's fine, I'll see you then. Good night, Mel.”

“Good night, Linds.”

Lindsay hung up. The woman she spent the majority of her adult years trying to love was almost out of her life. She did feel some remorse regarding the failure of her marriage, but at the same time she was proud of herself too. She had two beautiful children that she not only loved but was friends with. She had a fabulous career, and family who would never let her fall.

Lindsay looked down at the magazine on her lap. It was that old issue with a scantily clad Melanie that used to make her all hot and bothered. She flipped through the pages until she found the center page.

“She was so beautiful,” Lindsay murmured to herself remembering the fantasy fueled time she had with herself and her hand. “Good bye, Mel,” Lindsay said as she closed the magazine then flipped it into the trashcan near her bed.

“I kinda like the new me,” she said to herself.

Lindsay reached over to turn off her light then snuggled into her bed. Her thoughts before she fell asleep were that of a vibrant butterfly emerging from a cocoon, spreading its wings then taking flight.

-end-

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1348