Finding Home by starlight
Summary:

Max is looking for a home, one that won't be taken away. Billy and Colton no longer try to believe it's possible anymore. One smile and their lives are turned upsidedown by the men of Liberty Avenue. 

 

Lorie you are a true blessing in my life and my stories thank you for everything you do as my Beta and cheerleader


Categories: QAF US Characters: Ben Bruckner, Blake Wyzecki, Brian Kinney, Carl Horvath, Cynthia, Daphne Chanders, Debbie Novotny, Drew Boyd, Emmett Honeycutt, Gus Marcus-Peterson, James 'Hunter' Montgomery, Jennifer Taylor, Jenny Rebecca Marcus-Peterson, Justin Taylor, Lindsay Peterson, Melanie Marcus, Michael Novotny, Molly Taylor, Original Character, Ted Schmidt, Tucker
Tags: Family, Friendship, Out of Character, Post-series
Genres: Canon
Pairings: Brian/Justin, Debbie/Carl, Emmett/Drew, Melanie/Lindsay, Michael/Ben, Ted/Blake
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 23 Completed: Yes Word count: 53676 Read: 73895 Published: Oct 06, 2018 Updated: Oct 07, 2019
Chapter 9 by starlight

Billy kept waiting for Brian or Justin to treat him and Colton like they owed the two of them something for all they were doing. It’s how he always felt every time someone let him stay in their house. He didn’t know how to feel about everything that was happening and didn’t understand why Brian and Justin would do something for people who really were just their friends. Billy knew that if Colton wanted something he’d move mountains for him, just like Justin said Brian would for him. But he and Colton were strangers to them. 

 

Colton sat next to Emmett, for once not letting Billy be the one he leaned on. He felt bad because he was willing to believe good things were happening, in the way Billy warned him against doing. Colton, who depended on Billy for everything, thought that Billy needed someone more than just him in his life. He needed someone he could look up to, not look after. Billy did everything for Colton and he never asked for anything from him but the promise that he would always remember him. As far as Colton was concerned he and Billy weren’t just brothers for that reason. They were brothers because they both needed to know that no matter what happened in their lives they had someone who loved them. Colton felt like maybe Emmett and Drew understood that, even though it was just a guess. 

 

Billy watch Brian a lot. Whereas Emmett and Justin seemed open, Brian seemed closed off at first. He was nice to Billy and Colton and was willing to open his and Justin’s home to them, which was bizarre enough since they were all just friends. But then he didn’t even blink at the idea of Gus being friends with Billy. Billy was used to people not wanting him and Colton around and hated when they acted like it was a privilege for Billy and Colton to be allowed in their presence, and didn’t know how to feel when Brian seemed okay with Gus wanting to be his friend.

 

Billy wasn’t even sure what to make of Justin, which was just him trying to avoid the fact that Emmett and Drew really wanted him and Colton. Billy wanted to believe so badly that he did what he always did when that happened; he avoided thinking about it. By worrying about Justin and Brian it meant he could just let that spark stay until it was extinguished again.

 

Emmett wondered what was going on in Billy’s head. The boy kept staring at Justin and Brian the whole drive. Emmett knew Brian hated anyone feeling grateful for his generosity. So Emmett did his best to not thank Brian over and over for going beyond what he would have asked of him. Thinking about it, Emmett felt it would be good for Billy and Colton. Emmett knew that when Brian told the boys they were going to always have the family, that it was one promise they’d all make sure they could believe in. Emmett also knew that where he’d smother them, Drew would make sure they had room to breathe. In Brian and Justin, Billy and Colton would see people they could come to, if they weren’t ready to come to Emmett and Drew. Emmett’s mind was already made up; his sons would never lack for anything they needed. Maybe he’d get them a dog too. Michael’s comment had made him angry but unless he became a problem Emmett would do what Brian was doing.

 

After meeting once again with Sabrina, Justin wandered off while Brian asked a few questions. Emmett and Drew had gone with the boys to help them pack. Justin wanted to give them room and not make them feel like they were being crowded by everyone. He planned to talk to Hunter about helping if the boys needed it. He felt like Hunter would understand them and possibly understand more than the rest of them did. Billy wandered out of the room and Justin followed him outside. He was curious to find out why the boy looked like everything was too much for him.

 

“I’m sure you hate being asked this but are you okay?” Justin asked when Billy saw him.

 

“I don’t hate being asked.” Billy told him.

 

“I used to.” Justin tells him, willing to open up if it helped Billy.

 

“Most of the time no one asks me. They just do what they tell themselves is best for us.” Billy told him.

 

“In this family you’re going to be bombard with that question, so enjoy it.” Justin tells him, smiling.

 

“It’s hard to believe you. I want to, but…” Billy told him, scared to tell him that he still had doubts that might not make sense to anyone but him.

 

“I’m not going to tell you I can understand. Because while my life wasn’t always perfect, it wasn’t anything like yours has been. In fact I don’t have anything to complain about. My father threw me out for being gay, but I was still lucky because the people in my life made sure I knew they’d stick by me. They gave me more than a roof over my head, they gave me place in their lives. Something we are all willing to do for you, Colton, and Max.” Justin told him.

 

“What made you want Max?” Billy asked, because he wanted to know what made Justin believe so strongly about Max.

 

“I’ve always wanted children. But with my life they weren’t going to be possible the way they were for my sister. Brian and I love Gus, and if we never had any other children, we’d still be happy because we have him. With Max, it was that after seeing him for the first time, he never left my thoughts. Brian and I were already planning to adopt, and would have loved any child we were blessed to have in our lives. I want to believe Max was the reason we hadn’t been called yet. Because he was the one we needed in our lives.” Justin tells him.

 

“He’s a good kid. I should have looked after him better.” Billy told him, feeling like he needed to excuse himself for what happened to Max.

 

“No. You shouldn’t have to feel like what happened was your fault. I don’t know what that house was like for you guys but I do know none of you should have felt like you were to blame for the adults who opened their home to you and didn’t do what they should have.” Justin tells him.

 

“They were actually decent in comparison to some of the other places. I could tell they wanted to do the right thing, only they weren’t sure how to deal with all of us. Even Max, as little as he is, understood they weren’t invested in us.” Billy told him, as Justin’s heart hurt to hear how easily that came out of Billy.

 

“All of us are more than invested in you guys. For us, you complete the families we dreamed of having one day. Brian and I aren’t just doing this for Emmett and Drew, but because we think you and Colton will enrich our lives by being in them. We need you. Probably more than you need us. Remember that.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why?” Billy asked.

 

“Because one day you’ll all makes us proud of the men you’ll become, from the kids you already are. Your strength already amazes me, because of the way you care for Colton when you didn’t have to.” Justin tells him.

 

“He made it… different. I tried so hard not to get close to people because it hurt, but Colton needed me. I let him in because I wanted someone to know I existed.” Billy tells Justin, not sure why he opened up to him.

 

Drew wanted to wrap his arms around Billy. God, what kind of life would have a kid worried about something like that. He’d only come to see where Billy had disappeared to and stood back when he heard them talking, because Justin was someone everyone talked to easily. The blond just had a natural ability to put people at ease, and Drew knew Billy and Colton would benefit from Justin’s warmth and understanding. Drew wanted both boys to feel the way Gus and Jenny felt when it came to all the men in the family. He wondered if maybe somewhere out there all of this was meant to happen the way Justin said. 

 

“I’m glad you did because it made it easier for us to find the both of you.” Drew tells Billy, who jumped at Drew’s voice.

 

“Are we ready?” Justin asked, trying not to embarass Billy who seemed to still be dealing with Drew the hero.

 

“Emmett’s ready to shop till the boys drop. I have a feeling I’ll be dragging him home tonight.” Drew tells them.

 

“I’m not sure I like shopping.” Billy told Drew.

 

“Me and you both son. Maybe you and I could indulge Emmett tonight and then I’ll take you to meet the team.” Drew tells him.

 

“I’ll carry all the bags for that!” Billy told him, running to get his stuff and get out of here.

 

“I think you just met your biggest fan.” Justin jokes as they follow.

 

Drew stopped, wanting Justin to know how much he appreciated what Brian and Justin were doing for him and Emmett. 

 

“What you’re doing…  I know we shouldn’t be surprised by it, but thank-you.” Drew tells him.

 

“Nothing to thank us for. Like I told Billy, he and Colton enrich us because they’re letting us in their lives. I feel like they were all waiting for us to find them.” Justin told him, brushing off the idea that he and Brian needed to be thanked for doing the right thing for the family.

 

Max stumbled through the story Hunter was reading with him. Nana had told Max she wanted to help get Billy and Colton’s rooms ready. Hunter offered to do something with Max to help out. He told Max  they could do anything he wanted and Max went to get his book that Pa had been helping him with. Dad told Max reading was important if he wanted to rule the world. Max wasn’t sure if he wanted to rule the world but he liked the story about the little girl who got a family. Max worried when Pa and Dad left, but only a little bit, because Gus wasn’t worried. 

 

Hunter watched as Max sounded out words, happy when he got them right. It was obvious Max’s only real problem was not receiving help earlier. Brian had told him he’d be adding Colton and Billy to the list. Drew told Hunter not to fight him and Emmett when they paid him. Hunter, while not wanting to be paid, knew they weren’t going to take ‘no’ for an answer. At the rate they were willing to pay him he could quit both dead end jobs he took when he didn’t get hired for a teaching job right away. It would also mean he could devote more time to the kids at the GLC, so he just agreed because he'd be able to help others too. Max got to the end of the book and ran to Molly when she came out with the girls.

 

“Max loves the girls.” Gus tells Hunter, dropping down next to him.

 

“How are you dealing with Max?” Hunter asked.

 

“I knew Dad and Pa were planning to adopt eventually, but I’m glad Max is who they ended up with. Looking at Max, I can see why Dad couldn’t resist him.” Gus said smiling.

 

“If you didn’t know, you’d think he came from Justin.” Hunter mentions.

 

“I don’t think it’s the resemblance to Justin but that probably didn’t hurt. Dad wouldn’t care if Max was purple. I think for all of us, it’s that Max gave us a chance and is willing to love us, and that he trusts us to love him back.” Gus tells him.

 

“It’s the hardest thing sometimes, learning to trust people when you never could.” Hunter tells him.

 

“You eventually did, not that we would have let you go.” Gus tells him.

 

“Ben told me Michael did his usual foot-in-mouth when he found out.” Hunter says, changing the subject because he wanted to find out if Michael did.

 

“He told Dad to get Justin a dog. Justin asked Max if he wanted one, and Dad hung up. Neither of them really lets Michael’s opinion matter to them.” Gus tells Hunter, confirming what Hunter suspected.

 

He said WHAT?” Jen asked, since no one had told her.

 

“Nana, did you really expect anything else? I mean we are talking about Michael.” Gus tells her, hoping she’d let it go like his dads did.

 

“He shouldn’t get a pass for saying stupid things. When they were adopting me, no one would have said something like that to him.” Hunter pointed out.

 

“I won’t give him a pass if he says anything that upsets Max or Jenny.” Gus tells him.

 

“I’ll make sure to help you. Max, Billy, and Colton will not have to deal with anyone making them feel like they don’t belong to us.” Jen tells Gus, knowing it would be nothing compared to Justin and Brian’s reaction if Michael didn’t think before saying stupid things in front of the kids.

 

Gus and Hunter both laughed when Jen went to go help with Max and the twins. They weren’t laughing because Jen claimed all the boys, the same way she claimed them. They were laughing because while Michael cowed to Deb, he did anything to avoid Jen, who didn’t let him excuse himself with the ‘I didn’t mean it’ excuse he used every time. Gus agreed that if you don’t mean it, don’t freaking say it. 

 

 

 

This story archived at http://www.kinnetikdreams.com/viewstory.php?sid=1355